时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on Genius… | |
[00:02] | Einstein may be the brightest mind I have yet taught. | 爱因斯坦或许是我教过的最聪明的人 |
[00:04] | He’s a menace! | 他就是个祸害 |
[00:07] | You are skipping classes | 你翘课 |
[00:08] | and challenging your instructors. | 挑战你的导师 |
[00:10] | What I want to know, sir, is why? | 我想知道的是 先生 为什么 |
[00:12] | My name is Professor Philipp Lenard. | 我是菲利普·勒纳教授 |
[00:14] | – Herr Professor. – Mileva Maric. | -教授先生 -米列娃·马里奇 |
[00:16] | One doesn’t lose track of the sole woman in the room. | 没人能忘记教室里的唯一女性 |
[00:18] | She’s up all night, filling her brain with things | 她彻夜苦读 学的东西都是 |
[00:21] | I can’t begin to understand. | 我已经开始无法理解的了 |
[00:22] | Then how do you know she understands them? | 那你怎么知道她能理解 |
[00:23] | I’m head over heels in love with your mind. | 我被你的聪慧迷得神魂颠倒 |
[00:26] | Be my partner. | 做我的伴侣吧 |
[00:27] | In life, in love, | 一起生活 相亲相爱 |
[00:29] | in endless scientific pursuit. | 一起追寻无止境的科学真理 |
[00:31] | How is Marie? Everyone is quite excited. | 玛莉好吗 大家都很高兴 |
[00:33] | – About what? – The courtship, of course… | -高兴什么 -当然是你们的恋爱 |
[00:35] | – the potential of it! I’m going to be a professor. | -有没有可能结成正果 -我要做教授 |
[00:37] | I will think for thinking’s sake. | 我要为了思考而思考 |
[00:39] | That is the most indulgent thing i’ve ever heard. | 这是我听过的最任性的想法 |
[00:42] | Oh, don’t leave like this, Albert. | 别就这么走了 阿尔伯特 |
[00:44] | Liar! How could you be so careless with my heart?! | 骗子 你怎么可以对我的感情毫不在乎 |
[00:48] | Physics should be an adventure. | 物理学该是一场冒险 |
[00:49] | Herr Einstein, enough! | 爱因斯坦先生 够了 |
[00:51] | Fail him if you must. | 必要的话让他不及格吧 |
[00:52] | I am no longer concerned for his future. | 我再也不操心他的未来了 |
[00:54] | – Miza! – Hello, Papa. | -米扎 -你好 爸爸 |
[00:56] | I am so sorry, Papa. I failed you. | 抱歉 爸爸 我让你失望了 |
[01:08] | 《我的战争》 | |
[01:25] | 天才 | |
[01:49] | 维尔茨堡 德国 1895年 | |
[02:36] | Oh, my God. | 我的天哪 |
[02:39] | Oh, my God. | 我的天哪 |
[02:41] | Hold still there, please. | 请保持不动 |
[02:51] | I don’t… understand. | 我不明白 |
[02:52] | It’s a photograph, Anna, | 这是个照片 安娜 |
[02:54] | of the bones beneath your skin. | 照出了你皮肉之下的骨头 |
[02:59] | Dear God, Wilhelm. | 天哪 威廉 |
[03:01] | I have seen my own death. | 我看到了我自己的死亡 |
[03:03] | It is wonderful, isn’t it? | 这太奇妙了 不是吗 |
[03:06] | Wilhelm… | 威廉 |
[03:08] | you are going to be famous. | 你会出名的 |
[03:13] | 伦琴射线 | |
[03:16] | The invention is yours, is it not? | 这是你的发明 不是吗 |
[03:18] | The modification to the cathode ray tube he used | 他所使用的对阴极射线管的改进 |
[03:21] | were my innovation, yes. | 是我的发明 没错 |
[03:22] | This imposter, what’s his name? | 这个冒牌货 他叫什么 |
[03:25] | – Rontgen – Well, if I read this article correctly, | -伦琴 -如果我读得没错 |
[03:28] | this Rontgen fellow merely noticed something | 这个叫伦琴的家伙用了你的发明 |
[03:31] | using your invention. | 才注意到了一些东西 |
[03:32] | He made an observation, yes. | 他进行了一项观测 没错 |
[03:34] | An observation. | 一项观测 |
[03:37] | There. Taste your eggs. | 来 尝尝你的鸡蛋 |
[03:39] | Make an observation about them. | 观测一下它们 |
[03:40] | Too salty, perhaps? | 或许太咸了 |
[03:42] | Does that mean you cooked the damn things? | 难道这意味着是你做了这玩意儿吗 |
[03:43] | – No. – Of course not. | -不 -当然不是 |
[03:45] | Because to make such a claim would be absurd. | 因为这样的说法太荒唐了 |
[03:49] | He’s snatched the credit you justly deserve. | 他夺走了本该属于你的功劳 |
[03:55] | How could I have missed it? | 我怎么就擦肩而过了呢 |
[03:58] | You’ll make it right, my love. | 你会做好的 我亲爱的 |
[04:00] | I believe in you. | 我相信你 |
[04:02] | Your brilliance will be recognized. | 你的聪慧会得到肯定的 |
[04:08] | I don’t care about awards, | 我不在乎什么奖项 |
[04:10] | Michele, I care about science, | 米凯勒 我关心的是科学 |
[04:11] | about understanding the world around me. | 是理解我周遭的世界 |
[04:13] | I’m not interested in shiny medals. | 我对闪耀的奖章不感兴趣 |
[04:15] | This is not just any award… it’s called the Nobel Prize. | 这不是什么小奖 这个是诺贝尔奖 |
[04:18] | Says here it is to be awarded annually, and beyond notoriety | 这里说这奖每年都会颁发 不仅是名声 |
[04:21] | it comes with a great deal of money. | 它包括一大笔钱 |
[04:22] | – Money? – Just think… | -钱 -想想吧 |
[04:24] | wealth and fame for being a physicist. | 做个名利双收的物理学家 |
[04:29] | You are brilliant, Albert, you could win one. | 你很聪明 阿尔伯特 你可以赢得一次的 |
[04:31] | Right now I’d trade ten of these Nobel Prizes | 现在我宁愿拿十个诺贝尔奖 |
[04:34] | for a teaching job. | 换一个教职工作 |
[04:40] | Steady. | 稳住 |
[04:44] | I’ve clearly miscalculated the salary | 我很显然算错了一个 |
[04:46] | – of an assistant professor. – Don’t be thick. | -助理教授的工资 -别乱讲 |
[04:48] | I won it in a bet with the head of my department. | 我和我们系主任打赌赢了这个 |
[04:50] | This sultry beast… ’tis only mine till sundown. | 这个暴怒的野兽 日落之前属于我 |
[04:54] | – What was the bet? – I’m sure it’s a riveting yarn, | -赌的什么 -我相信这是个吸引人的故事 |
[04:56] | and I’m happy to suffer through the whole damn thing | 我也很高兴忍受着听完前因后果 |
[04:57] | once we’re actually on the road to Basel. | 只要我们开始往巴塞尔出发 |
[05:00] | My first interview, and I’m going to be late… perfect. | 我的第一份面试 而我将迟到了 真好 |
[05:02] | Like a virginal maiden, Albert, this machine needs | 像个年少的处女 阿尔伯特 这机器需要 |
[05:05] | to be delicately wooed to a state of agitation. | 精心的求爱 直到达到兴奋的状态 |
[05:08] | If Marcel’s history with the ladies is any predictor, | 如果马塞尔和女人的情史有所帮助的话 |
[05:10] | we’ll be on the road by next Tuesday. | 我们下周二才能上路 |
[05:13] | Albert, you will sweat through that suit | 阿尔伯特 要是你不冷静下来 |
[05:14] | if you don’t calm down. | 你那件西装会湿透的 |
[05:16] | Michele, I have sent my paper | 米凯勒 我已经把我的论文 |
[05:17] | to every halfway decent university in Europe, | 发送给了全欧洲所有勉强像样的大学 |
[05:19] | and I’ve been rejected everywhere. | 我却各种被拒绝 |
[05:21] | This is the first bite of the apple I’ve had. | 这是我尝到的第一个甜头 |
[05:22] | Mileva’s getting impatient. | 米列娃已经开始不耐烦了 |
[05:24] | Mileva? She’s in Serbia… what does she have…? | 米列娃 她在塞尔维亚 她有什么… |
[05:28] | An historic day… Marcel Grossmann | 真是历史性的一天 马塞尔·格罗斯曼 |
[05:30] | finally gets something all hot and bothered. | 终于让它开动起来了 |
[05:38] | The capillary effect has been well studied, Herr Einstein. | 毛细效应已研究得很透彻了 爱因斯坦先生 |
[05:41] | Your disquisition hardly adds to the body of knowledge. | 你的长篇报告很难为知识体系添砖加瓦了 |
[05:45] | To say nothing of your verbose style. | 更不用说你的报告长篇累牍 |
[05:48] | The reading experience is undeniably taxing. | 读起来的真是太费力气了 |
[05:54] | I would be remiss | 因为我的疏忽 |
[05:57] | to challenge your opinions, Herr Professor. | 挑战了您的观点 教授 |
[06:00] | Science is not about opinions. | 科学跟观点无关 |
[06:03] | What I mean to say, Herr Professor, is… | 我的意思是说 教授 |
[06:07] | you make many observations I hadn’t considered, | 您做了许多我没考虑到的观察 |
[06:11] | much to my regret. | 我很抱歉 |
[06:17] | Your record does you credit, I must admit. | 我必须承认你的档案为你增光不少 |
[06:20] | And despite a large field of gifted applicants, | 尽管有众多才华横溢的申请人 |
[06:23] | it seems that you’re somehow | 但是你似乎是 |
[06:25] | the most qualified candidate we’ve yet met. | 我们见过的最合适的人选了 |
[06:28] | I shall send your name up to the committee for approval. | 我会把你的名字呈报给委员会审批的 |
[06:33] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[06:34] | Thank… thank you. | 谢谢 |
[06:36] | Albert hasn’t abandoned me, Papa. | 阿尔伯特并没有抛弃我 爸爸 |
[06:38] | Then where is he? | 那他人呢 |
[06:40] | Tell me that. | 跟我说说 |
[06:42] | Getting settled. | 安顿下来 |
[06:43] | I need a home to return to once I’ve had the baby. | 一旦我把孩子生下来 需要有个家才能回去 |
[06:46] | And then what? | 然后呢 |
[06:49] | Miza. Then what? | 米扎 然后呢 |
[06:52] | You change diapers all day long? | 整天换尿布 |
[06:54] | Wipe noses? | 擦鼻涕 |
[06:56] | Sing lullabies? | 唱摇篮曲 |
[06:57] | No. I will earn my degree, Papa. | 不 我会拿下学历的 爸 |
[06:59] | – I swear it. – For years, | -我发誓 -这么多年来 |
[07:03] | I taught you never to rely on a man for anything. | 我教你不要依靠男人做任何事情 |
[07:06] | Do I really need to explain the situation to you, Papa? | 真的需要我给你解释情况吗 爸 |
[07:10] | I just don’t want you to punish yourself | 我就是不想让你的余生 |
[07:12] | for the rest of your life. | 自己惩罚自己 |
[07:13] | Not for making a mistake one night. | 不想让你犯一夜情的错误 |
[07:16] | It wasn’t a mistake. | 那不是错误 |
[07:19] | And it certainly wasn’t one night. | 当然也不止一夜 |
[07:25] | You were in Zurich… the Swiss are experts | 你之前在苏黎世 瑞士有许多专家 |
[07:28] | at taking care of unfortunate circumstances. | 能够妥善处理这种不幸的意外状况 |
[07:30] | I would never do such a thing! | 我绝对不会那么做的 |
[07:32] | I want to have Albert’s child. | 我想怀阿尔伯特的孩子 |
[07:37] | I want more for you. | 我对你有更多的期望 |
[07:38] | If you believe in me, | 如果你对我有信心 |
[07:40] | Papa, at least give Albert a chance. | 爸 至少给阿尔伯特一个机会 |
[08:01] | Herr Einstein. | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[08:05] | Good evening, Frau Schnellham. | 晚上好 施耐尔哈姆太太 |
[08:06] | You’re quite the kitty, sneaking all about. | 你像只小猫似的 整天蹑手蹑脚的 |
[08:10] | Just testing your impeccable hearing. | 考验一下您无可挑剔的听力 |
[08:13] | Still top-notch. | 仍然很棒 |
[08:14] | Do you have the rent or not? | 你到底有没有房租钱 |
[08:15] | Not. | 没有 |
[08:16] | You know your way out, then, kitty. | 那你知道该怎么出去 小猫 |
[08:18] | I’ve secured a position. | 我找到了一份工作 |
[08:20] | I’m merely awaiting a final letter of approval. | 就等最后的批准函了 |
[08:22] | Then it isn’t secured, is it? | 那就是还没找到呢 |
[08:24] | Well, perhaps there’s word today. | 可能今天有消息了 |
[08:27] | I-I would check the post, but… | 我想看看信箱 但是 |
[08:29] | seeing as you’ve confiscated my mail key… | 您没收了我的邮箱钥匙 |
[08:33] | Please, Frau Schnellham. | 拜托了 施耐尔哈姆太太 |
[08:40] | Many prominent academics and leading thinkers in the field | 行业里许多着名的学者和思想家 |
[08:43] | are talking favorably of my work. | 都在积极探讨我的成果 |
[08:52] | 巴塞尔大学 | |
[08:55] | Well? | 怎么样 |
[09:00] | I was given the impression | 我被告知 |
[09:01] | that the job was mine but for a formality. | 得到了那份工作 但是要有正式手续 |
[09:04] | I’ve made many inquiries in search of answers, | 我到处询问想要获得答案 |
[09:07] | but I’ve been met with silence. | 但是大家都沉默不语 |
[09:09] | So you have come for help, then. | 所以你就来求助了 |
[09:11] | Just… A small favor, | 就 一个小忙 |
[09:14] | Herr Professor, a letter of recommendation, perhaps | 教授 一封推荐信 大概 |
[09:16] | Perhaps, uh, like, uh, this one. | 大概就像这个 |
[09:22] | “Esteemed Herr Weber, forgive my impudence | “尊敬的韦伯先生 冒昧地直接写信给您 |
[09:25] | “In writing you directly, | 作为一名父亲 |
[09:26] | “But I beg you to intercede on behalf of my poor Albert. | 我代表我可怜的阿尔伯特 |
[09:31] | As a concerned father…” | 请求您替我说说情” |
[09:32] | My father? | 我父亲 |
[09:38] | Herr Professor, I… | 教授 我… |
[09:41] | I had no idea. I would… | 我不知道 我… |
[09:44] | I would never ask my father to intercede on my behalf. | 我绝对不会让他以我的名义说情的 |
[09:48] | Frankly, I’m mortified. | 说实话 我羞愧万分 |
[09:49] | As you should be. | 那就对了 |
[09:51] | Like any other recent graduate, I am only asking | 跟其他刚毕业的学生一样 |
[09:54] | that you put in a word with potential employers. | 我只是想求你在雇主那说句好话 |
[09:57] | Oh, but I have. | 我求过情了 |
[09:57] | Many universities have sought my counsel | 许多大学都针对你的智力和性格 |
[10:01] | on your intellect and your character. | 征求我的意见 |
[10:03] | But in good conscience | 但是凭心而论 |
[10:04] | I have not and I cannot… | 我没有我也不会 |
[10:07] | recommend your character. | 推荐你的性格 |
[10:10] | You gave me an unfavorable recommendation? | 您给了我一封不利的推荐信 |
[10:13] | Several, in fact. | 其实是好几封 |
[10:14] | But that’s sabotage. | 您这是蓄意败坏我的声誉 |
[10:16] | You openly challenged my authority. | 你公然挑战我的权威 |
[10:18] | You publicly disrespected me. | 当众不尊重我 |
[10:21] | How am I to justify sticking my head above the grass for you | 有那么多合格的毕业生赢得了我的尊重 |
[10:24] | when there are so many qualified alumni | 我为什么要为了你而 |
[10:26] | who have actually earned my respect? | 屈尊俯就呢 |
[10:28] | But this is my reputation we’re talking about. | 可这关乎到我的声誉 |
[10:29] | And mine, too! | 也关乎到我的 |
[10:32] | If I recommend someone and they fail to live up | 如果我推荐的人名不副实 |
[10:34] | to my endorsement, how do I look? | 那别人会怎么看我 |
[10:36] | But you don’t understand, sir. | 但您不懂 先生 |
[10:37] | I have… I have obligations. | 我 我有债务要还 |
[10:42] | Obligations. | 债务 |
[10:45] | You are what? 22? | 你才几岁 二十二吗 |
[10:47] | An unknown, unattached, healthy young man. | 一个默默无闻 了无牵挂 身体健康的年轻人 |
[10:50] | What obligations could you possibly have? | 你能有什么债务 |
[10:55] | My name is ruined! All because I couldn’t keep | 我的名声全毁了 都是因为 |
[10:57] | my stupid mouth shut in Weber’s class. | 我在韦伯的课上管不住自己的嘴巴 |
[11:00] | I already wrote to Mileva to tell her I got the job. | 我已经写信告诉米列娃我得到那份工作了 |
[11:03] | Mileva? What has she got to do with this? | 米列娃 这件事跟她有什么关系 |
[11:06] | Put in a good word for me, Marcel, in your department. | 马塞尔 在你系里帮我说点好话 |
[11:08] | I am a flea on the smelly ass of academia. | 我是学术界最底层的无名小卒 |
[11:11] | No one cares what I have to say. | 没人在乎我的话 |
[11:12] | But there is a position I know of. | 但我知道有个空缺职位 |
[11:15] | Decent wage, steady hours. | 薪水合理 工作时长稳定 |
[11:17] | What is it? | 什么工作 |
[11:18] | It’s in Bern at the patent office. | 在伯尔尼的专利局工作 |
[11:21] | Um, clerical position, but very interesting work. | 当文员 但是工作内容很有趣 |
[11:23] | You could employ some of your engineering knowledge. | 你可以应用你的工程知识 |
[11:25] | I’m a scientist, Marcel! | 我可是个科学家 马塞尔 |
[11:27] | I’m better than a clerkship. | 让我当文员太屈才了 |
[11:28] | – You need money. – I need a thought, | -你需要钱啊 -我需要一个想法 |
[11:31] | a paper that can show people what I can do; I need time. | 一篇能向世人展现我才华的论文 我需要时间 |
[11:34] | No, you need a job. | 不 你需要的是一份工作 |
[11:36] | Why not ask your father, | 为什么不问问你父亲 |
[11:37] | could he set you up in the factory in Milan? | 也许他能帮你在米兰的工厂里安排一份工作 |
[11:39] | Because he humiliated me. | 因为他羞辱了我 |
[11:41] | I’m done with him, after the letter to Weber. | 他写信给韦伯 我受够他了 |
[11:44] | Did it ever occur to you that perhaps your father | 你有没有想过 也许你父亲 |
[11:46] | reached out to Weber because he cares about you? | 和韦伯联系 是因为他关心你 |
[11:49] | Be practical, Albert. | 务实一点 阿尔伯特 |
[11:51] | If you will not get a real job, | 如果你不找份真正的工作 |
[11:52] | how on earth will you survive? | 又怎么生存呢 |
[12:00] | 瑞士阿尔卑斯山 梅赫陶尔 | |
[12:16] | Maja. | 玛雅 |
[12:17] | Big brother. | 哥哥 |
[12:19] | We missed you in Milan. | 我们在米兰很想你 |
[12:21] | I thought it would be best to meet you and Mother here. | 我觉得在这里见你和母亲比较好 |
[12:23] | Because Father is not with us? | 因为父亲没跟我们在一起吗 |
[12:25] | You can’t ignore him forever. | 你不能一直无视他 |
[12:26] | He’s hurt, Albert. | 他很受伤 阿尔伯特 |
[12:28] | I’m… I’m not ready to face him. | 我 我还没准备好面对他 |
[12:32] | Not until you feel you’ve made something of yourself. | 除非你觉得自己做出一番成就 |
[12:34] | Only then will you be able to tell him he was wrong about you? | 到那时你才会告诉他 是他看错你了吗 |
[12:39] | How’s Mother? | 母亲还好吗 |
[12:41] | Did you really have to send her | 你真的有必要给她寄一张 |
[12:42] | a photo of your Serbian temptress? | 你那个塞尔维亚荡妇的照片吗 |
[12:44] | I thought she might like it. | 我以为她可能会喜欢 |
[12:46] | What she really liked was Marie. | 她真正喜欢的是玛莉 |
[12:48] | She was counting on you two getting married, | 她盼着你们两个结婚 |
[12:50] | so don’t mention Mileva. | 所以千万别提起米列娃 |
[12:57] | Tell me everything that’s been happening. | 跟我说说你的近况 |
[13:00] | I’m sure the world is beating down your door. | 你家里一定门庭若市吧 |
[13:03] | I’m, uh, developing many new ideas. | 我在研究很多新的理论 |
[13:06] | Won’t be long before I’m recognized for my work. | 很快就会被大家所认可 |
[13:10] | But, um, | 可是 |
[13:12] | right now, Mother, | 现在 母亲 |
[13:13] | the-the truth is, I need money. | 老实说 我需要钱 |
[13:20] | Your father’s business | 你父亲的生意 |
[13:21] | needed another infusion of capital, darling. | 又需要投入资金 亲爱的 |
[13:24] | I can’t go to my brother again. | 我不能再去找我哥哥 |
[13:26] | I’m afraid the well is dry. | 恐怕我们没钱给你 |
[13:28] | You’ll have to manage on your own. | 你得自己想办法 |
[13:30] | If there’s such pressing money concerns, | 如果家里迫切需要用钱 |
[13:31] | then why are you taking such lavish holidays? | 那你们为什么还享受如此奢华的假期 |
[13:33] | Lower your voice, dear. | 小声点 亲爱的 |
[13:35] | We must keep up appearances. | 我们得保持形象 |
[13:39] | If only Marie were here to teach you some manners. | 真希望玛莉在场 教你一些礼节 |
[13:42] | Marie and I are finished. | 我和玛莉分手了 |
[13:43] | And it seems to me, if you apologize | 在我看来 如果你能为 |
[13:45] | for your boorish behavior, | 自己粗鲁的行为道歉 |
[13:46] | you may have a chance to win her back. | 你也许还有机会赢回她的心 |
[13:47] | Mother, you know very well | 母亲 你明知道 |
[13:50] | that I have someone else now. | 我现在和别人在一起了 |
[13:51] | What? That creature in the photo you sent? | 怎么 你寄来的照片上的那个人吗 |
[13:54] | – She isn’t even Jewish. – Neither is Marie. | -她甚至不是犹太人 -玛莉也不是啊 |
[13:56] | Well, at least she isn’t Slavic. | 至少她不是斯拉夫人 |
[13:58] | – What does that mean? – Mother. | -那是什么意思 -母亲 |
[14:00] | Be… She’ll be the end of you, Albert. | 你别插嘴 她会毁了你 阿尔伯特 |
[14:02] | She’s just a nasty little witch. | 她只是个恶心的女巫 |
[14:04] | She is no witch. | 她不是女巫 |
[14:05] | She’s my wife. | 她是我的妻子 |
[14:19] | You married that girl? | 你跟那个女孩结婚了吗 |
[14:21] | No, of course not. | 当然没有 |
[14:23] | Then why did you say that you did? | 那你为什么说你结了 |
[14:25] | Because I can’t stand the way that Mother talks about Mileva | 因为我受不了母亲这样骂米列娃 |
[14:27] | and I don’t want to give her the satisfaction | 而且我也不想让她以为 |
[14:30] | of thinking she can tell me what to do. | 自己可以左右我的决定 |
[14:31] | So then you’re not marrying Mileva. | 那你并没打算跟米列娃结婚 |
[14:41] | I’m going to have to. | 我必须要娶她 |
[14:46] | How… How far along is she? | 她 她怀孕多久了 |
[14:49] | – Six months. – God, Albert. | -六个月 -天啊 阿尔伯特 |
[14:52] | I don’t know what I’m supposed to say. Congratulations? | 我都不知道该说什么了 恭喜吗 |
[14:56] | Are you happy about this? | 这件事让你开心吗 |
[14:59] | I love her, Maja. | 我爱她 玛雅 |
[15:01] | She’s-She’s like nobody I’ve ever met before. | 她 她和我之前认识的任何人都不一样 |
[15:05] | I felt this… this pull towards her. | 我感到…一种力量将我推向她 |
[15:09] | Since I saw her, I… I should be thrilled, but… | 自从见了她 我应该感到激动 但是… |
[15:14] | But? | 但是什么 |
[15:15] | Well, now I feel this opposing force | 现在我感受到一股相反的力量 |
[15:17] | pulling me down. | 让我无法向前 |
[15:19] | I’m just getting started with my life. | 我的人生才刚刚开始 |
[15:21] | I’m-I’m worried that if I marry her, | 我担心如果娶了她 |
[15:25] | I’ll never take flight. | 我就再也挣脱不了了 |
[15:29] | What other choice do you have? | 你还有什么其他选择 |
[15:45] | You have a visitor. | 有人来见你 |
[15:46] | A visitor? But who could…? | 来见我 但谁会… |
[15:49] | Sir. | 先生 |
[15:51] | This is quite unexpected. | 真没想到您会来 |
[15:52] | My dear, it is wonderful to see you. | 亲爱的孩子 见到你太棒了 |
[15:54] | I would stand, but you may remember my hip. | 我想站起来的 但你应该记得我臀部的病 |
[15:58] | It’s been acting up. | 又复发了 |
[15:59] | Yes, of course. | 当然 没事 |
[16:00] | I have to say I was overjoyed when your father paid a visit | 当你父亲过来说我最得意的学生回到家乡了 |
[16:04] | to inform me that my finest student was back in town. | 这把我高兴坏了 |
[16:08] | But I have to admit this is not merely a social call. | 但我得坦白 我不只是单纯来看望你的 |
[16:12] | – No? – I am here to offer you a teaching position | -不是吗 -我来是想向你提供一个 |
[16:17] | for the spring term. | 春季学期的教师职位的 |
[16:18] | It is time we had a woman | 我们的常驻教师职位 |
[16:20] | on the permanent faculty. | 也该有一位女性加入了 |
[16:22] | It is a new era. | 这是个新的时代 |
[16:25] | How could you ambush me like that? | 你怎么不提前跟我说一声 |
[16:28] | What if he’d seen my belly? | 他看到我的肚子怎么办 |
[16:29] | My secret would be out. | 我的秘密就暴露了 |
[16:31] | Calm yourself, Mileva. | 冷静一下 米列娃 |
[16:33] | I just wanted you to know that there is an alternative. | 我只是想让你知道还有另一种选择 |
[16:36] | Einstein used to write you every day. | 爱因斯坦以前每天都给你写信 |
[16:39] | Now it’s once a week at most. | 现在最多一周一封 |
[16:41] | He’s… he’s very busy, Papa. | 他…他很忙 爸爸 |
[16:44] | Or maybe he has lost interest? | 也可能他失去兴致了 |
[16:47] | You deduced all of that by the frequency of his letters? | 你这都是从他写信的频率推理出来的吗 |
[16:51] | And so now you want me to settle for being a schoolmarm? | 所以现在你想让我安定下来做一个女老师 |
[16:54] | Perhaps you could teach physics? | 或许你可以教物理 |
[16:57] | You could use the skills you have learned. | 你可以运用你学习到的技能 |
[17:07] | Are you giving up on me, Papa? | 你对我失去信心了吗 爸爸 |
[17:10] | I’m giving up on Einstein. | 我对爱因斯坦失去信心了 |
[17:12] | He can’t even get a job. | 他连工作都找不到 |
[17:14] | You’re wrong. | 你错了 |
[17:17] | He has a job. | 他有工作 |
[17:18] | – Yeah. – Teaching. | -是啊 -教书 |
[17:21] | But what is the ether? | 但以太是什么 |
[17:23] | What kind of substance has such remarkable properties? | 什么样的物质会有如此惊人的属性 |
[17:30] | One has to twist all of physics into knots | 要让它存在就必须推翻所有物理学知识 |
[17:33] | just to make it work, but it must exist, or else… | 但它又必须要存在 不然… |
[17:35] | Are you a Jew? | 你是犹太人吗 |
[17:40] | I subscribe to no religion. | 我没有宗教信仰 |
[17:42] | You look like a Jew. | 你看上去像犹太人 |
[17:44] | Are you sliced? Down there? | 你被割过吗 下面那里 |
[17:48] | Does it feel odd to fornicate if you’re sliced? | 如果被割了通奸时会觉得奇怪吗 |
[17:53] | Timo, your father isn’t paying me to tutor you | 蒂莫 你父亲花钱不是让我来辅导你 |
[17:57] | about the ins and outs of… about girls, | 如何进出…如何撩妹的 |
[18:00] | but if you’ll indulge me, | 但如果你愿意听我说 |
[18:03] | I’ll show you that mathematics | 我会向你展示 |
[18:05] | is as elegant as the finest of women, | 数学就如同女人一样美妙 |
[18:07] | and just like women, | 并且和女人一样 |
[18:09] | it might seem intimidating at first, | 它可能起初会吓到你 |
[18:11] | but the truth is anyone can do it. | 但事实上谁都可以精通 |
[18:15] | Almost anyone with rudimentary learning | 学历最粗浅的人 |
[18:17] | could achieve the same results. | 都能得到相同的结果 |
[18:18] | All these prints were taken by me using my own tubes, | 所有这些影像都是我用自己的射线管得到的 |
[18:21] | not Rontgen’s. | 而非用伦琴的 |
[18:22] | It’s one thing that you were able to duplicate his outcome, | 你能够复制他的成果没有什么 |
[18:23] | 普鲁士学院 柏林 | |
[18:26] | but are you implying | 但你的意思难道是说 |
[18:28] | that Rontgen actually poached your tube model? | 伦琴窃取了你的射线管模型吗 |
[18:31] | Sir, not only did he appropriate my design, | 先生 他不仅把我的设计占为己用 |
[18:34] | he wrote to me asking for supplies. | 他还写信问我要器材 |
[18:37] | Supplies which are very difficult to come by, | 这些器材很难拿到 |
[18:39] | and I did graciously comply. | 但我也慷慨答应了 |
[18:41] | Only to be stabbed in the back, | 我无私的帮助最后换来的不仅是背后插刀 |
[18:43] | flank and front for my selfless deed. | 还让我颜面扫地 |
[18:46] | Yes, but why should any of this concern the academy? | 好吧 但这些和学院有什么关系呢 |
[18:50] | Professor Plom, | 普洛姆教授 |
[18:51] | the Nobel Committee is considering candidates. | 诺贝尔委员会正在筛选提名人 |
[18:53] | If Rontgen receives recognition | 如果伦琴凭借他人的成果 |
[18:55] | for something that isn’t all his, | 获得了认可 |
[18:57] | then the entire fabric of this institution is under attack. | 这个机构的整个根基都将被动摇 |
[19:00] | Unlike Rontgen, | 与伦琴不同 |
[19:02] | I’m seeking neither fame nor money. | 我既不求名也不求利 |
[19:04] | I am defending science itself. | 我只是在扞卫科学本身 |
[19:06] | What specifically are you asking us to do? | 你具体想让我们做什么 |
[19:09] | Compose a letter of support to the Nobel Committee, hmm? | 撰写一封佐证信寄给诺贝尔委员会怎么样 |
[19:13] | Immediately. | 立刻马上 |
[19:15] | May we have the room, Philipp? | 能让我们内部商量一下吗 菲利普 |
[19:18] | Yeah. | 好 |
[19:25] | He’s bringing politics into science. | 他要把政治带进科学领域来 |
[19:28] | I can’t condone it. | 我不能容忍 |
[19:29] | It’s beneath us all. | 这有失我们所有人的尊严 |
[19:30] | Still, imagine how we would feel | 但如果是我们自己的成就 |
[19:32] | if an inferior talent snatched recognition | 被禀赋不及我们的人窃取 |
[19:35] | for one of our achievements. | 我们又会怎么想 |
[19:37] | A bit of ink, it costs us nothing. | 一点墨水而已 我们什么也不损失 |
[19:43] | Dearest Mileva, | 我最亲爱的米列娃 |
[19:45] | I understand you’re upset I haven’t written, | 我知道我最近没写信让你很生气 |
[19:48] | but I’ve been terribly busy. | 但是我忙得不可开交 |
[19:49] | And while I’d love nothing more than to have you visit, | 尽管非常想让你来看我 |
[19:52] | I haven’t had time to furnish my new dwelling. | 我却一直都腾不出时间布置我的新住所 |
[19:55] | If you still wish to rendezvous, | 如果你坚持要见面 |
[19:57] | I only request it be somewhere discreet to avoid gossip. | 我唯一的请求是选个隐秘的地方避免流言蜚语 |
[20:01] | A secluded inn. | 一个隐蔽的旅馆 |
[20:02] | As if your present situation weren’t scandal enough. | 好像你现在的状况还不够丢脸的 |
[20:05] | Mama, please. | 妈妈 拜托 |
[20:06] | It’s only for a few days. | 就住几天 |
[20:08] | A few days. | 几天 |
[20:09] | An unmarried, pregnant woman traveling on her own. | 一个未婚先孕的女人独自出门 |
[20:12] | What will people say? | 人们会怎么说 |
[20:23] | Your name, madam? | 你的名字 女士 |
[20:26] | Mileva Einstein. | 米列娃·爱因斯坦 |
[20:29] | My husband should have already arrived. | 我丈夫应该已经到了 |
[20:32] | No, I don’t believe so. | 不 我想没有 |
[20:37] | If you’d just show me to my room, | 能否先带我去我的房间 |
[20:39] | I’ve had a very exhausting day of travel. | 一整天舟车劳顿 |
[20:41] | My husband had business to transact. | 我丈夫还有公事要办 |
[20:46] | He’ll arrive any moment. | 他随时都会到 |
[20:50] | Please. | 拜托 |
[21:31] | Herr Ebersold. | 埃伯索尔德先生 |
[21:33] | Forgetting something, Einstein? | 没忘记什么吗 爱因斯坦 |
[21:35] | Oh, God, yes, actually. I’m late for my train. | 天呐 是的 要赶不上火车了 |
[21:38] | I mean Timo, Einstein. | 我是说蒂莫 爱因斯坦 |
[21:40] | My boy. | 我的儿子 |
[21:41] | You were scheduled to tutor him this afternoon. | 安排你今天下午辅导他功课的 |
[21:44] | I’ll make it up to you, sir. | 我会补偿的 先生 |
[21:45] | I’m not finished, | 我话还没说完 |
[21:47] | Herr Einstein. | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[21:54] | His marks are lower than when you started. | 他的分数比你开始教他时降低了 |
[21:57] | What are you teaching the boy, Einstein? | 你教孩子什么了 爱因斯坦 |
[22:01] | Well, we have touched occasionally on subjects, I admit, | 好吧 我承认我们偶尔会讲到 |
[22:06] | that are a bit ambitious. | 一些稍有挑战性的课题 |
[22:09] | Yes, Timo told me. | 是的 蒂莫和我说了 |
[22:11] | Heat transfers, the ether, | 热传递 “以太” |
[22:13] | hypothetical atoms, something called quanta. | 原子假说 还有什么”量子” |
[22:15] | He needed help with algebra. | 他需要人教他代数 |
[22:17] | But what good is algebra if you have no understanding | 但是如果你无法理解代数如何应用于更大的 |
[22:21] | of how it applies to the larger questions of science? | 科学问题时 学习它又有什么用呢 |
[22:25] | You’re fired, Einstein. | 你被解雇了 爱因斯坦 |
[22:53] | Where have you been? | 你去哪了 |
[22:57] | I’m so sorry, I was… | 真抱歉 我… |
[22:59] | I was working and then-then | 我在工作 然后… |
[23:00] | I got, uh, distracted, and when I looked up… | 我分心了 当我看时间… |
[23:02] | How could you leave me here? | 你怎么能把我自己留在这 |
[23:04] | Do you have any idea what it’s like to be a pregnant woman | 你有想过一个有身孕的女人 |
[23:06] | traveling this country alone? | 独自来到这个国家是什么感受吗 |
[23:08] | Dollie. | 洋娃娃 |
[23:09] | Of course you don’t. | 你当然没有 |
[23:10] | I’m so stupid. | 我真是太蠢了 |
[23:11] | No, you’re not stupid. You’re brilliant. Come on. | 不 你才不蠢呢 你聪慧过人 来抱抱 |
[23:15] | Look, I’m here now, | 我这不是来了 |
[23:16] | and that’s what’s important, my love. | 这是最重要的 亲爱的 |
[23:19] | Let me explain, you’ll understand everything. | 听我解释 你就会理解一切的 |
[23:23] | Radiation quanta. | 辐射量子 |
[23:28] | Planck’s concept. | 普朗克的观点 |
[23:31] | Radiation quanta? | 辐射量子 |
[23:32] | This could be the breakthrough that I’ve been searching for. | 这可能是我一直寻找的大突破 |
[23:36] | You didn’t come to be with me, | 你不是来陪我的 |
[23:38] | you came to use me to help you with math. | 你来是为了让我帮助你计算 |
[23:43] | No, I was… | 不 我是… |
[23:44] | Why did I expect any different? | 我为什么还有别的期待 |
[23:46] | You-you write page after page about work in your letters, | 你信里的长篇大论全是工作 |
[23:49] | but you almost never ask about me. | 但是你几乎没问过我怎么样 |
[23:50] | – That isn’t true. – I search endlessly | -不是这样的 -我就像猪拱松露那样 |
[23:53] | for some caring emotion | 不停地寻找 |
[23:55] | like a pig digging for truffles, | 哪怕只言片语的关心 |
[23:59] | but I never find it. | 但我从没找到 |
[24:03] | At least I know my father was right about one thing. | 至少我知道我父亲有一件事说对了 |
[24:05] | – And what’s that? – You’re too damn selfish | -什么事 -你太自私了 |
[24:06] | to be a good husband. | 根本不能做个好丈夫 |
[24:08] | I’ve defended you to everyone. | 我之前还一直在人前维护你 |
[24:12] | And now I feel like a fool. | 现在我觉得自己像个傻瓜 |
[24:14] | None of them have ever met you, | 他们谁都没见过你 |
[24:16] | and yet they saw you more clearly than I did. | 但他们对你的为人却比我看得清楚 |
[24:18] | That’s nonsense. Mileva, do you… | 你别胡说了 米列娃 你… |
[24:19] | You’re having my child. | 你怀着我的骨肉 |
[24:21] | And what a mistake that was. | 那就是个错误 |
[24:24] | I’ll live with the consequences forever. | 我要一辈子承受这个后果 |
[24:28] | But at least the child and I won’t have you to let us down. | 但是至少孩子和我不会寄希望于你 |
[24:31] | What are you saying? | 你在说什么 |
[24:32] | I’m fairly certain I just said it. | 我非常确定我所说的话 |
[24:36] | Don’t act like you want to marry me. | 别装出一副你想和我结婚的样子 |
[24:39] | I know you don’t. | 我知道你不想 |
[25:04] | I missed the train because I was distracted. | 我错过火车是因为我分心了 |
[25:07] | I couldn’t wait to share my ideas with you. | 我迫不及待要和你分享我的想法 |
[25:11] | Not because they promise glory for me, but because… | 不是因为它们会给我带来荣耀 而是因为 |
[25:15] | it was like peeking through a keyhole to our future. | 这就像看见了我们的未来 |
[25:20] | The two of us. Huh? | 我们两人的 好吗 |
[25:23] | Mileva… | 米列娃 |
[25:25] | you’re the love of my life. | 你是我此生挚爱 |
[25:30] | And I will do the right thing for you | 我会为了你和孩子 |
[25:32] | and this child. | 做该做的事 |
[25:33] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[25:57] | 辅导 数学 及 物理 | |
[25:57] | “Private lessons in mathematics and physics, | “私人辅导数学和物理 辅导 数学 及 物理 |
[26:00] | “Given most thoroughly by Albert Einstein. | “全程由阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦授课 |
[26:02] | Trial lesson free.” | 免费试听” |
[26:04] | Sounds promising. | 听上去真”前途无量”啊 |
[26:06] | This is a new low, Albert. | 你这是刷新了底线 阿尔伯特 |
[26:07] | It’s just temporary till I find something better. | 在找到更好的工作前 这只是权宜之计 |
[26:10] | If you’re in such straits, | 如果境况真的如此窘迫 |
[26:11] | the job in the patent office is still open, | 专利局的工作还在招人 |
[26:13] | – and… – I’m a scientist. | -而且… -我是个科学家 |
[26:14] | I’m not a damn clerk. | 不是什么小职员 |
[26:16] | I just need time to finish my new paper. | 我只是需要时间来完成新论文 |
[26:18] | Paper? | 论文 |
[26:19] | What paper, Albert? | 什么论文 阿尔伯特 |
[26:23] | Radiation packets. | 放射线束 |
[26:25] | Planck calls them “Quanta.” | 普朗克称之为”量子” |
[26:27] | You do realize that radiation quanta | 你知道辐射量子 |
[26:28] | is an academic idea. Planck himself does not believe | 只是种学术观点而已吧 普朗克自己也不信 |
[26:31] | – they describe reality. – Planck himself is wrong. | -这个假说能解释现实 -普朗克错了 |
[26:34] | You’ll see. | 等着瞧吧 |
[26:35] | Someone else can rot in a patent office. | 专利局的破工作谁爱干谁干 |
[26:43] | Albert Einstein? | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 |
[26:46] | Maurice Solovine. | 我叫莫里斯·索罗文 |
[26:49] | How do you do? | 你好吗 |
[26:51] | Sir, if I owe you money, | 先生 如果我欠了你的钱 |
[26:53] | then I’m afraid you’ll have to get in line. | 你要追债恐怕要排一下队了 |
[26:56] | Are you not Albert Einstein? | 你不是阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦吗 |
[27:02] | You are here for physics? | 你是为学物理而来的吗 |
[27:04] | Indeed. | 正是 |
[27:04] | But recreationally. | 但只是出于消遣 |
[27:06] | My friends accuse me of being a bored dilettante, | 我朋友说我是个无聊的业余爱好者而已 |
[27:09] | to which I plead guilty as charged. | 而事实上我也的确如此 |
[27:12] | I’ve studied biology, philosophy, | 我学习了生物学 哲学 |
[27:14] | literature, art. | 文学还有艺术 |
[27:15] | Physics is the next logical subject | 在我那不合逻辑的涉猎里 |
[27:18] | in my illogical curriculum. | 物理是我的下一个有逻辑的学科 |
[27:21] | I think I have room in my schedule. | 我应该有时间 |
[27:23] | When would you like to start? | 你想什么时候开始 |
[27:24] | I’m here now, Einstein. | 我已经到这了 爱因斯坦 |
[27:26] | The first lesson is free, Herr… | 第一节课是免费的 先生… |
[27:28] | What was your name again? | 你叫什么名字来着 |
[27:29] | Solovine. | 索罗文 |
[27:33] | I tell you what. I’ll pay anyway, | 这么说吧 反正我照付的 |
[27:35] | provided you submit to a change of venue. | 如果你愿意更改一下授课地点的话 |
[27:42] | The previous occupant | 这里的前主人 |
[27:43] | has done a garish Rococo treatment, | 对这里进行了夸张的洛可可式装修 18世纪后半期盛行欧洲的一种建筑装饰艺术风格 |
[27:45] | so I will spend a good chunk of my father’s money | 我会花我父亲的一大笔钱 |
[27:47] | scraping the fairy tale out of the place. | 来敲掉这里的童话式装修风格 |
[27:51] | Here’s the wine. | 红酒来了 |
[27:52] | Now, where are the women to pour it over? | 倒酒的女人们呢 |
[27:55] | Albert, this is Conrad Habicht. | 阿尔伯特 这是康拉德·哈比希特 |
[27:58] | Lout, wretch, | 愚笨又混蛋 |
[27:59] | altogether bad influence, and my brother-in-arms. | 所有坏毛病集于一身 他还是我的战友 |
[28:03] | Conrad, this is Albert Einstein, | 康拉德 他是阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 |
[28:05] | the most promising, | 他是这一代 |
[28:06] | illustrious young physicist of his generation. | 最有前途的杰出年轻物理学家 |
[28:09] | Well, I just hope he’s better | 我只希望他比上次那个 |
[28:11] | than that horrid fencing instructor | 你花了不少冤枉钱请来的 |
[28:13] | you wasted our money on. | 破击剑老师好一点 |
[28:14] | Damn near impaled myself. | 他还差点刺伤我 |
[28:18] | Well, come on, Einstein. | 来吧 爱因斯坦 |
[28:19] | We are your captive audience. | 我们均被你的才华所折服 |
[28:24] | Go on, Einstein. | 来吧 爱因斯坦 |
[28:25] | Dazzle us. | 惊艳我们吧 |
[28:31] | D… dazzle. | 惊艳 |
[28:35] | Y… yes, right. | 好…好的 |
[28:39] | Liquids. | 液体 |
[28:40] | Yes? They run in a tube. | 液体在细管里流动 |
[28:42] | They tend to… They rise | 他们趋于… 液面上升 |
[28:44] | because of what is termed the capillary effect… | 是因为所谓的”毛细效应” |
[28:46] | I’ve got a physics question. | 我有个物理问题 |
[28:48] | So, I was in my bathtub this morning, | 今早我坐在浴缸里 |
[28:50] | and I dunk my head at the same time | 我将头沉入水中 |
[28:53] | as I knock my hairbrush in with my toe. | 与此同时 我的脚趾不当心把梳子踢进浴缸 |
[28:55] | And it hits the cast iron, and it sounds quite loud underwater. | 用发梳敲击生铁 水下听到的声音特别响 |
[29:00] | Why is that? | 这是为什么呢 |
[29:01] | Well, um… Indulge me | 请容许我讲解 |
[29:03] | in something that I like to call a thought experiment. | 我称之为”思维实验”的东西 |
[29:08] | Let’s make waves. | 我们来制造声波吧 |
[29:12] | A hammer hits a string, | 拿音锤敲击琴弦 |
[29:14] | causing a vibration | 引起振动 |
[29:16] | which spreads out as a waveform. | 声音以波的形式传播 |
[29:22] | In this case, the medium is a disturbance of the air, | 在这里 介质是空气 |
[29:25] | which, when it hits your eardrums, | 当声波引起你的鼓膜振动时 |
[29:28] | is interpreted as sound. | 我们将其理解为”声音” |
[29:32] | Unlike matter, | 不同于其他物质 |
[29:33] | waves travel better through denser materials. | 介质越稠密 越有利于振动波的传播 |
[29:35] | That’s why your hairbrush sounded loud. | 所以在水下发梳敲击的声音更大 |
[29:37] | Put your ears to a rail, | 将你的耳朵贴紧铁轨 |
[29:39] | and you can hear locomotives from miles away | 你可以听到千米之外有火车驶来 |
[29:41] | when all is silent an inch above the track. | 而离开铁轨 你就听不到任何声音了 |
[29:44] | That’s… | 这真的… |
[29:45] | – fantastic. – Yes. | -太有趣了 -是啊 |
[29:47] | But do you want to know what I’ve really been thinking about? | 想知道我内心的真正想法吗 |
[29:50] | It’s light, | 是光 |
[29:51] | because light from this candelabra, say, | 比如说这个烛台发出的光 |
[29:56] | is a wave, just like sound. | 是一种振动波 和声音一样 |
[29:59] | But if waves travel better through denser materials, | 如果越稠密的介质更有利于振动波的传播 |
[30:04] | then why can I put up my hand | 那为什么我把手举起来 |
[30:07] | and block out the brightest of lights? | 能阻挡光亮呢 |
[30:13] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[30:14] | Why? | 为什么呢 |
[30:17] | Well, scientists think that light travels | 科学家们认为 光通过 |
[30:19] | through its own special, invisible medium. | 某种特有的 不可见的介质传播 |
[30:22] | They call it the ether. | 他们称之为以太 |
[30:23] | Yeah, but if it’s invisible, | 但如果是不可见的 |
[30:24] | – then how do we know it’s there? – We don’t. | -我们如何知道它的存在呢 -无从知晓 |
[30:26] | People have been trying to understand this for years. | 多年来人们百思不得其解 |
[30:28] | We can’t… We can’t see it o-or feel it, | 我们看不到 也感受不到 |
[30:31] | but everywhere that light travels, | 但光所到之处 |
[30:33] | the ether is there. | 就有以太的存在 |
[30:34] | That sounds pretty fantastical. | 听起来太虚无缥缈了 |
[30:37] | I agree. | 我同意 |
[30:38] | But it’s the best idea we’ve got. | 但目前这是最好的解释 |
[30:40] | A wave needs a medium. | 波的传播需要介质 |
[30:42] | But why? | 可为什么呢 |
[30:46] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[30:49] | But I intend to find out. | 不过我会搞清楚的 |
[30:52] | Damn fine show, Einstein. | 讲得太好了 爱因斯坦 |
[31:02] | I don’t know how you do it, Helene. | 不知道你是怎么做到的 海琳 |
[31:06] | They turn out to be more of a delight | 他们给我带来的幸福 |
[31:07] | than you can possibly imagine. | 是你完全无法想象的 |
[31:09] | What if I don’t want children? | 如果我不想要孩子怎么办 |
[31:11] | Well, it’s a bit late for that. | 说这话可有点晚了 |
[31:18] | I don’t know if I can count on Albert. | 我不知道是否能指望阿尔伯特 |
[31:20] | Well, you can always count on me, | 可你永远都能指望我 |
[31:22] | Mileva. | 米列娃 |
[31:24] | You’ve always been my closest friend, Helene. | 你一直是我最好的朋友 海琳 |
[31:30] | And you love children. | 你又爱孩子 |
[31:35] | What if you took my baby? | 不如你收养我的孩子吧 |
[31:40] | No, Mileva… | 不 米列娃 |
[31:43] | Everything I’ve worked for… | 我所有的努力… |
[31:50] | Forget I said that. | 当我没说 |
[31:52] | It’s horrid. | 太可怕了 |
[31:54] | I haven’t been sleeping… | 我一直都睡不着… |
[32:01] | If it is what you need, Mileva… | 如果你真的需要 米列娃… |
[32:03] | If it is what you really need… | 如果这真是你需要的 |
[32:07] | I will help you. | 我会帮你的 |
[32:47] | Do you ever feel like you’re part of something larger? | 你有没有觉得自己属于更广阔的世界 |
[32:51] | Yes. The universe is so vast. | 对 宇宙如此浩瀚 |
[32:53] | Lately, we’ve been trying to measure it, | 最近 我们开始尝试测量宇宙 |
[32:55] | – but so far… – Albert, Jesus. | -可目前为止… -阿尔伯特 老天 |
[32:57] | I’m talking about the three of us. | 我说的是我们三个 |
[32:59] | We should codify | 我们应该让 |
[33:00] | our little salon. | 我们的小沙龙成为惯例 |
[33:01] | We’ll meet regularly… | 在固定的时间见面 |
[33:03] | – Nightly. – Nightly. Fine. | -每天晚上 -每天晚上 好的 |
[33:04] | With the express purpose of ruminating on philosophy, | 专门以沉思哲学 科学 音乐 艺术 |
[33:08] | science, music, art… | 作为目的 |
[33:09] | And women. | 还有女人 |
[33:11] | And women, too. | 还有女人 |
[33:14] | But we need a name for our little association. | 但我们得为我们的小联盟起个名 |
[33:16] | The honor is yours, Einstein. | 由你来决定吧 爱因斯坦 |
[33:19] | You made this possible. | 是你造就了这一切 |
[33:20] | Well, uh, how about… | 好吧 不如叫 |
[33:23] | the Olympia Academy. | 奥林匹亚学院 |
[33:26] | The Olympia Academy. | 奥林匹亚学院 |
[33:28] | Grand and ridiculous, | 既宏伟又荒唐 |
[33:30] | equal parts pompous and austere. | 既浮夸又朴素 |
[33:33] | Just like its founding members. | 就好像它的创始人们 |
[33:35] | Long live the Olympia Academy. | 奥林匹亚学院万岁 |
[33:38] | The Olympia Academy. | 敬奥林匹亚学院 |
[34:00] | She’s the most beautiful girl | 她是这世界上 |
[34:01] | in the entire world. | 最美的女孩 |
[34:04] | Elizabeth. | 伊丽莎白 |
[34:06] | Little Lieserl. | 小丽瑟尔 |
[34:08] | That’s what I told Albert I want to call her. | 我对阿尔伯特说过要给她起这名 |
[34:11] | Where is he? | 他人在哪儿 |
[34:12] | Wherever is your father, sweet Lieserl? | 你父亲究竟在哪儿呢 丽瑟尔宝贝 |
[34:24] | Don’t linger in the doorway, Einstein. | 别在门口徘徊 爱因斯坦 |
[34:26] | Didn’t your mother teach you any manners? | 你母亲没教过你礼节吗 |
[34:28] | I only came to say | 我只是过来说一句 |
[34:29] | that I won’t be attending this evening’s festivities. | 我不能来参加今晚的欢宴了 |
[34:32] | Why not? | 为什么 |
[34:32] | I have a family matter. | 我家里有事 |
[34:34] | Somebody died? | 有人死了吗 |
[34:36] | And you’re inheriting a tropical island nation, yes? | 然后你要继承一个热带岛国 对吗 |
[34:42] | I’ll return in a few weeks. | 我几周后就回来 |
[34:44] | – Where are you going? – Serbia | -你要去哪里 -塞尔维亚 |
[34:46] | Serbia? | 塞尔维亚 |
[34:48] | Einstein… | 爱因斯坦 |
[34:50] | look in here | 看着这里 |
[34:51] | and tell me Serbia is more important | 告诉我 塞尔维亚有比你所见之物 |
[34:54] | than what you see. | 更重要的吗 |
[34:56] | Now, go on, tell me. | 快啊 告诉我 |
[34:57] | What’s this all about? | 你为什么要去 |
[35:01] | I just became a father. | 我当爸爸了 |
[35:05] | Are you married? | 你结婚了吗 |
[35:06] | I’m not married to her. | 我还没和她结婚 |
[35:11] | Allow me to indulge in a little thought experiment. | 允许我做一个小小的思考实验 |
[35:14] | Just imagine a full and turbulent household. | 想象一下 整个家都是乱糟糟的 |
[35:18] | A newborn child, | 一个刚出生的孩子 |
[35:20] | cawing, soiling herself left and right. | 不断啼哭 满身污浊 |
[35:23] | Sleepless nights, chaotic days. | 无眠的夜晚 混乱的日子 |
[35:27] | A late rent payment, a haggard wife, | 欠缴的房租 凶悍的妻子 |
[35:30] | nagging her untidy husband | 对着邋遢的丈夫唠唠叨叨 |
[35:31] | – Maurice – Stay with me now. | -莫里斯 -继续听我说 |
[35:33] | This is where it turns naughty. | 这里要开始急转直下了 |
[35:36] | Your colleagues. | 你的同事们 |
[35:38] | Can you see them? | 你能看到吗 |
[35:40] | Huh? Men of inferior intellect. | 那些智力低下的人们 |
[35:42] | But untethered by family, they go zipping past you | 但他们不被家庭束缚 以光速 |
[35:45] | at the speed of light. | 飞快地超越了你 |
[35:48] | And you’re left | 而你留在原地 |
[35:49] | holding a mewling newborn, asking yourself, “How the hell did I get here?” | 抱着哭泣的婴儿问自己 怎么沦落至此 |
[35:56] | It’s not as if I can turn back time. | 我又不能让时光倒流 |
[35:58] | – Why are you torturing me? – My cousin | -你为什么要折磨我 -我表弟的 |
[35:59] | has a perfectly agreeable situation. | 情况就相当不错 |
[36:01] | He sends the mother of his boy a stipend every month. | 他每月给孩子的妈妈寄补贴 |
[36:06] | Everybody happy. | 大家都开心 |
[36:08] | You’re talking | 你在说的 |
[36:08] | about a woman that I love | 是我爱的女人 |
[36:10] | and the child she just brought into the world. | 还有她刚带来世间的孩子 |
[36:12] | I… Are you suggesting I abandon them? | 你是在建议我抛妻弃子吗 |
[36:14] | Abandon? No. | 抛弃 不是 |
[36:15] | Send money. Provide help. | 寄钱 提供点帮助 |
[36:17] | But you must not sacrifice your dreams | 但你不能为了让她们开心 |
[36:19] | just to make them happy. | 就牺牲自己的梦想 |
[36:23] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[36:25] | You are the most brilliant man I’ve ever met. | 你是我见过最聪明的人 |
[36:28] | You’re going to do great things. | 你会做出一番大事的 |
[36:30] | But not if you cinch an anchor around your neck. | 但如果你束缚住了自我就做不到了 |
[36:40] | Think about it, Albert. | 想想吧 阿尔伯特 |
[36:56] | Maja? | 玛雅 |
[36:58] | What are you doing here? | 你怎么来了 |
[36:59] | I wrote. You didn’t answer. | 我给你写信了 你没回 |
[37:01] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[37:03] | It’s Father. | 是父亲 |
[37:04] | He’s very sick, Albert. | 他病得很重 阿尔伯特 |
[37:06] | We must go now. | 我们得马上回家 |
[37:18] | 德国 海德堡 1901年 | |
[37:19] | Herr Professor. | 教授先生 德国 海德堡 1901年 |
[37:23] | 诺贝尔基金会 | |
[37:25] | – Thank you. – Yes, sir. | -谢谢 -不客气先生 |
[37:38] | 我们很遗憾地通知您 经诺贝尔奖委员会决定 诺贝尔物理学奖将颁发给威尔姆·康拉德·伦琴先生 我们非常感谢… | |
[37:46] | They’re giving it to a man named Rontgen. | 他们要颁给一个叫伦琴的人 |
[37:48] | He’s discovered what they’re calling X-rays. | 他发现了X射线 |
[37:50] | – Perhaps you read about it, Papa. – Yeah? | -你可能读到过 爸爸 -是吗 |
[37:52] | The Nobel is a major new prize. | 诺贝尔奖是一个新的大奖 |
[37:55] | Maybe you will win one someday, yes? | 或许有一天你也会获奖 对吧 |
[38:02] | No. | 不 |
[38:04] | You were right about me all along, Papa. | 你没看错我 爸爸 |
[38:07] | I’m… I’m only a dreamer. | 我 我只是个梦想家 |
[38:10] | No. | 不 |
[38:14] | No, that’s not true. | 不 不是这样的 |
[38:26] | I… | 我 |
[38:28] | I’ve never told you this, Papa, but… | 我从没和你说过 爸爸 |
[38:30] | when I’m lost, | 但当我迷茫时 |
[38:32] | it’s always your voice I hear in my head. | 我脑海中听到的永远是你的声音 |
[38:36] | Guiding me. | 指引着我 |
[38:40] | Maja told me you were angry about the letter | 玛雅说我给你教授写信的事 |
[38:42] | I sent to your professor. | 你很生气 |
[38:45] | I was only trying to help. | 我只想帮忙 |
[38:47] | I know. | 我知道 |
[38:49] | It was childish of me. I’m so sorry. | 我太幼稚了 对不起 |
[38:51] | It wasn’t you | 我生气 |
[38:51] | I was angry with. | 不是因为你 |
[38:55] | Tell me about the girl. | 和我说说那女孩 |
[38:57] | The Serb. | 那塞尔维亚姑娘 |
[38:59] | Mother doesn’t approve. | 妈妈不同意 |
[39:04] | Do you love her? | 你爱她吗 |
[39:05] | Yes. But it’s very complicated. | 我爱她 但这很复杂 |
[39:10] | You’re a complex soul, Albert. | 你就是个复杂的人 阿尔伯特 |
[39:14] | If you’ve found a woman | 如果你找到了一个女人 |
[39:17] | who will abide with your peculiarities, | 能包容你的独特性 |
[39:20] | well, miracles should not be sniffed at. | 那这样的奇迹你要珍惜 |
[39:28] | Marry her. | 娶她吧 |
[39:31] | Marry her. | 娶她吧 |
[39:34] | Have a big family. | 组个大家庭 |
[39:38] | Huh? | 好吗 |
[39:42] | The one true blessing in this world | 家庭是这世上 |
[39:45] | is family. | 最真切的恩惠 |
[39:56] | Leave now. | 你走吧 |
[39:57] | Go. | 走吧 |
[40:00] | I’d like to die alone. | 我想一个人死去 |
[40:36] | Amen. | 阿门 |
[40:53] | Amen. | 阿门 |
[40:54] | Amen | 阿门 |
[41:47] | Yes? | 你好 |
[41:48] | Telegramma per Albert Einstein. | 给阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦的电报 |
[41:55] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[42:51] | Perhaps it’s for the best. | 或许这样最好 |
[42:53] | How could you say such a thing? | 你怎么能这么说 |
[42:55] | It is sad, yes, | 这的确令人难过 |
[42:56] | but you no longer have any obligation to marry this girl. | 但你已经没有义务跟这个女孩结婚了 |
[43:00] | Papa gave it his blessing. | 爸爸已经祝福我们了 |
[43:02] | Papa is dead. | 爸爸过世了 |
[43:04] | You told me | 你跟我说过 |
[43:04] | that your life was just getting started. | 你的人生才正要开始 |
[43:07] | Now, here you are, | 现在你能够 |
[43:09] | free to pursue your dreams with no responsibilities. | 自由追寻梦想 不用承担责任 |
[43:14] | Perhaps this is God’s way of giving you | 或许上帝以这种方式给你 |
[43:16] | another chance. Perhaps it’s… | 另一次机会 或许这是 |
[43:19] | Lieserl’s gift to you. | 丽瑟尔给你的礼物 |
[43:21] | You’re still young. | 你还很年轻 |
[43:23] | You don’t need a man. | 你不需要男人 |
[43:26] | You never did. | 你从来不需要 |
[43:28] | What about Mileva? | 米列娃怎么办 |
[43:30] | Maybe this is what is right for her, too. | 或许这样对她来说也好 |
[43:34] | I know you, brother. You can barely… | 我了解你 哥哥 你连 |
[43:35] | dress yourself, let alone raise a family. | 照顾自己都很勉强 更别说养家糊口了 |
[43:38] | That isn’t true. | 才不是这样 |
[43:40] | You have your eyes set on the stars, Albert. | 你追求更崇高的东西 阿尔伯特 |
[43:43] | It’s who you are. It’s what makes you wonderful. | 这就是你 所以你才这么优秀 |
[43:46] | But think about her life. | 但想想她的人生 |
[43:49] | Here, on Earth. | 跟你天差地别 |
[43:52] | Now you can do anything, | 现在你可以做任何事 |
[43:54] | be anybody, | 当任何人 |
[43:56] | go anywhere. | 去任何地方 |
[44:33] | How could you not have come? | 你当时为什么不来 |
[44:39] | I’m so sorry, Dollie. | 非常抱歉 洋娃娃 |
[44:41] | My father became ill so fast. | 我父亲的病恶化很快 |
[44:44] | If I had had any idea… | 如果我当时知道… |
[44:48] | When I saw her | 我看到她 |
[44:51] | being lowered into the ground… | 被缓缓下葬的时候 |
[44:55] | it was like a piece of me was torn away. | 就像一部分的我被撕裂了 |
[45:00] | A piece of me buried alongside her. | 一部分的我随她一起被埋葬了 |
[45:02] | And I knew | 而我知道 |
[45:04] | the only person who could fill that void… | 唯一能填补那个空洞的人 |
[45:09] | is you. | 是你 |
[45:11] | And I hate you for that. | 所以我恨你 |
[45:17] | Go on hating me if you choose. | 如果你愿意 就继续恨我吧 |
[45:21] | I know I deserve it. | 我知道我活该 |
[45:23] | And I know I… | 我也知道我… |
[45:25] | I don’t deserve you. | 我配不上你 |
[45:27] | But I will never feel anything | 但我再也不会有任何感觉 |
[45:30] | but love for you, Mileva. | 只有对你的爱 米列娃 |
[45:37] | Marry me, Dollie. | 嫁给我 洋娃娃 |
[45:41] | I know it might only be a humble life I have to offer, | 我知道我可能只能给你朴实的生活 |
[45:44] | but… it’s a good life. | 但会是很快乐的生活 |
[45:47] | And if we’re together, | 如果我们结婚了 |
[45:48] | then it couldn’t possibly be anything else. | 那么我们一定能过得很快乐 |
[46:03] | It’s only the very first Nobel. | 这只是第一届诺贝尔奖 |
[46:06] | You will win the next one. I believe in you, Philipp. | 下次你会获奖的 我相信你 菲利普 |
[46:09] | You’re a genius. | 你是天才 |
[46:10] | It’s bigger than you understand, Katharina. | 这件事比你想的更严重 卡塔琳娜 |
[46:13] | This whole charade, it’s… | 这整个作假事件 |
[46:15] | more evidence of a troubling trend. | 更能显示一种令人不安的趋势 |
[46:17] | And what’s that? | 什么趋势 |
[46:18] | This avaricious hunger for money and acclaim. | 对于金钱与赞誉的贪婪 |
[46:20] | It’s-it’s a disease. | 这是种疾病 |
[46:22] | It’s the Jewish mind-set. | 这是犹太人的思想 |
[46:24] | I didn’t know Rontgen was Jewish. | 我还以为伦琴不是犹太人 |
[46:26] | He isn’t. But I’ve worked with them. | 他不是 但我曾与犹太人共事 |
[46:29] | I know their hearts. | 我知道他们的想法 |
[46:32] | And Rontgen has a Jewish heart. | 伦琴就有犹太人的想法 |
[46:34] | He’s a rat, | 他是只老鼠 |
[46:35] | like the Jews. | 就像犹太人 |
[46:37] | And rats must be eradicated. | 老鼠必须被铲除 |
[46:47] | You’ll come up with something marvelous, Philipp. | 你成就一番非凡的事业 菲利普 |
[46:51] | I know it. | 我知道 |
[47:12] | 物理 | |
[47:19] | Well, good morning, Frau Einstein. | 早安 爱因斯坦夫人 |
[47:23] | What has you so riveted this early? | 你这么早就在专心看什么啊 |
[47:26] | Philipp Lenard. | 菲利普·勒纳 |
[47:27] | He’s demonstrated | 他阐述了一个有趣的理论 |
[47:28] | 即当光照射在金属上时 an8光电效应是物理学中一个重要而神奇的现象 在高于某特定频率的电磁波照射下 某些物质内部的电子会被光子激发出来而形成电流 光电现象由德国物理学家赫兹于1887年发现 而正确的解释为爱因斯坦所提出 光电效应是物理学中一个重要而神奇的现象 | |
[47:29] | something interesting in the emissions | 即当光照射在金属上时 |
[47:29] | of metals when bombarded with light: | 金属会产生辐射 |
[47:32] | more intense light | 光束能量越强 |
[47:33] | does not produce more energetic emissions. | 并不会产生能量更高的辐射 |
[47:35] | Well, he is a brilliant man. | 他是位很优秀的人 |
[47:37] | But he didn’t go far enough. | 但他研究的不够深入 |
[47:39] | He gives no explanation as to why. | 他无法解释这种现象的原因 |
[47:41] | Something more is needed. Something revolutionary. | 需要有更革命性的理论来解释 |
[47:43] | If I had the time… | 如果我有时间 |
[47:44] | Well, right now you don’t. | 现在你可没时间 |
[47:50] | You’re going to be late. | 你快要迟到了 |
[48:41] | Herr Einstein, welcome to the Patent Office. | 爱因斯坦先生 欢迎来到专利局 |
[48:52] | 专利鉴定 |