时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on Genius… | |
[00:02] | As long as you are still married we cannot be together. | 但是只要你还没离婚 我们就不能在一起 |
[00:04] | I need to think of my daughters. | 我得为我的女儿们考虑 |
[00:07] | I moved my family to Berlin for you. | 我举家搬来柏林是为了你 |
[00:09] | You came to join the academy. | 你来是为了加入学院 |
[00:11] | I do wish Elsa could have joined us. | 真希望爱尔莎能加入 |
[00:12] | Apparently she’s gone away to Esson. | 显然她已经出城去埃森了 |
[00:14] | That’s where Albert is. | 阿尔伯特也去那里了 |
[00:16] | When were you going to tell me about Elsa? | 你打算什么时候和我说爱尔莎的事 |
[00:18] | I want a divorce. | 我想和你离婚 |
[00:19] | I am not letting you walk away from the boys. | 我不会让你离开儿子的 |
[00:22] | Fritz Haber. | 弗里茨·哈伯 |
[00:23] | The man that pulled nitrogen out of thin air. | 从空气中发现氮的人 |
[00:26] | I’m a proud war veteran. | 我是个自豪的战争退伍军人 |
[00:27] | Really, Fritz? | 真的吗 弗里茨 |
[00:28] | You’re proud of your military service? | 你对于你的当兵经历感到自豪吗 |
[00:32] | The only way to confirm general relativity | 但只有在日食时 |
[00:34] | is during a solar eclipse. | 才能证明广义相对论 |
[00:36] | The Kaiser has declared war on Russia. | 德皇向俄国宣战了 |
[00:38] | Your foundation for general relativity is flawed. | 你的广义相对论基本原则有误 |
[00:42] | I could have been ruined. | 我有可能被毁于一旦 |
[00:43] | – You wanted me to fail. – You’re right. | -你希望我失败 -没错 |
[00:46] | Mileva has agreed to end things. | 米列娃同意结束一切 |
[00:48] | There is quite a difference between separation and divorce. | 分居和离婚有很大区别 |
[00:51] | Mileva I wanted to end our marriage, | 米列娃 我想要结束我们的婚姻 |
[00:53] | I didn’t want to lose my whole family. | 可我不想失去整个家 |
[00:55] | You can’t have everything, Albert. | 鱼和熊掌不可兼得 阿尔伯特 |
[01:09] | 《我的战争》 | |
[01:27] | 天才 | |
[01:37] | 英国 布里斯托 1898年 | |
[01:45] | Tonight I will demonstrate black body | 今晚我将展示黑体吸收和 |
[01:48] | absorption and the forces. | 其中的受力情况 |
[01:55] | Forgive me, | 抱歉 |
[01:58] | but there is a more urgent matter to discuss. | 但我要先说件更迫在眉睫的事 |
[02:02] | My friends, England, and all of Europe, | 朋友们 英国 以及所有欧洲国家 |
[02:06] | is facing catastrophe. | 正面临一场大灾难 |
[02:09] | The natural fertilizer we have long used to grow our crops | 我们长期以来用于种植庄稼的天然肥料 |
[02:14] | is dwindling rapidly. | 正急剧减少 |
[02:16] | Without it, our soil becomes barren. | 没有肥料 我们的土壤将变得贫瘠 |
[02:19] | What we are left with is too many mouths to feed | 我们将面临人口过多 |
[02:26] | and not enough food. | 而食物不足的窘境 |
[02:27] | Tonight, I call on the great minds of Europe. | 今晚 我呼吁全欧洲的杰出人士 |
[02:31] | Barring a monumental scientific breakthrough, | 除非在短短几年内 |
[02:35] | in a few short years, | 出现了巨大科技突破 |
[02:37] | Europe will starve. | 否则欧洲将出现饥荒 |
[02:43] | Did you read what this Crookes fellow claims? | 你看到这个克鲁克斯说的了吗 |
[02:45] | 德国 卡尔斯鲁厄 1898年 几百万人将会饿死 | |
[02:48] | if we don’t find a new way to grow crops. | 除非我们能研发出种植庄稼的新方法 |
[02:50] | I must do something. | 我得做点什么 |
[02:51] | Fritz, you hardly keep a houseplant alive. | 弗里茨 你连盆栽都养不活 |
[02:54] | Guano, do you know what it is? | 鸟粪石 你知道是什么吗 |
[02:56] | Of course. | 当然 |
[02:57] | Bat excrement. | 蝙蝠粪便 |
[02:58] | And why do we ship bat excrement to Europe | 如果我们从大洋彼岸运输 |
[03:01] | from a world away? | 蝙蝠粪便到欧洲呢 |
[03:02] | It’s a good source of nitrogen. | 粪便中富含氮元素 |
[03:04] | So is the air. | 空气里也有很多 |
[03:06] | 80% nitrogen to be exact. | 准确来说 空气中80%都是氮元素 |
[03:08] | You could never harness enough energy to | 你不可能获取足够的能量 |
[03:10] | break apart nitrogen bonds. | 来破坏氮键 |
[03:13] | A lightning bolt could do it. | 闪电就可以做到 |
[03:15] | Yes, but you can hardly corral lightning bolts, | 是 但你无法收集闪电 |
[03:18] | now can you? | 是吧 |
[03:24] | Not yet. | 暂时还不能 |
[03:30] | Gentlemen, the very fate of our nation depends | 先生们 我们国家的命运 |
[03:32] | 十六年后 柏林 1914年 先生们 我们国家的命运 | |
[03:35] | on the men in this room. | 就指望在座各位了 |
[03:37] | Our generals have informed me that the army’s ammunition | 我接到将军通知 军队的弹药储备 |
[03:41] | stockpile has dwindled to a six-month supply. | 只剩下六个月的量了 |
[03:46] | And I say it’s nonsense, in six weeks our boys | 我觉得太混账了 不到六个星期 |
[03:50] | will be hurling rocks instead of firing artillery. | 我们的军人都只能扔石头 而不是开枪了 |
[03:54] | My God. | 我的天 |
[03:55] | I have taken it upon myself to fund a military department | 我决定由我来建立一个军事部门 |
[03:59] | devoted to scientific innovation. | 专门进行科学革新 |
[04:02] | Make no mistake, we are facing a bloody surrender. | 别搞错了 我们面临的可能是代价惨重的投降 |
[04:11] | I need you. | 我需要你们 |
[04:13] | Germany needs you. | 德国需要你们 |
[04:16] | You have my support, Dr Rathenau. | 我赞成 拉特瑙博士 |
[04:19] | And I’m surely not alone in that. | 其他人肯定也会赞成的 |
[04:22] | Hear, hear. | 是啊 是啊 |
[04:25] | Gentlemen, I am circulating a letter to the kaiser, | 先生们 请各位传阅一封即将上书给皇帝的信件 |
[04:28] | pledging the commitment of the finest minds of Germany’s | 请求全德国科学界的杰出人士 |
[04:32] | scientific community and I beseech you to sign it. | 都能加入 恳请大家在上面签名 |
[04:37] | Stand with the fatherland in its hour of need. | 在祖国需要时与其并肩作战 |
[05:01] | Doctor Rathenau, | 拉特瑙博士 |
[05:04] | some of us still indulge in the wild notion | 我们中的一些人依然坚信 |
[05:08] | that scientists are meant to | 科学家是为了揭示 |
[05:11] | unravel the mysteries of the world, | 世界的未解之谜 |
[05:13] | not find new ways to destroy it. | 而不是想法设法毁灭它 |
[05:18] | We are all free to make choices. | 每个人都有自由选择的权力 |
[05:21] | And history will take note. | 历史将会见证 |
[05:28] | You didn’t sign it. | 你没有签字 |
[05:29] | Of course I didn’t sign it. | 我当然没签 |
[05:30] | I’m not a lemming like the rest of them. | 我不像其他人那样盲目从众 |
[05:33] | Aren’t you worried it might affect your standing in the academy? | 你不怕这会影响到你在学院的地位吗 |
[05:35] | I won’t make weapons, Elsa. | 我不制造武器 爱尔莎 |
[05:38] | I have actual work to do. | 我还有正经工作要做 |
[05:43] | You must miss them terribly, | 你肯定很想念他们 |
[05:46] | I’m sure they miss you. | 他们肯定也很想你 |
[05:53] | She was welcome to every stick of furniture. | 我并没有赶她走的意思 |
[05:59] | But how could I let her take my boys? | 但是我怎么能让她把儿子们带走呢 |
[06:01] | What choice did you have? | 你当时别无选择 |
[06:10] | It’s cruel, isn’t it? | 很残酷吧 |
[06:11] | That what is most important in life | 生命中最重要的东西 |
[06:18] | reveals itself to be so only by its absence. | 只有在失去的时候才意识到 |
[06:21] | You can’t stay here, alone, in this empty apartment. | 你不能一个人待在这个空荡荡的公寓里 |
[06:24] | Are you offering to take me in? | 你想让我搬过去吗 |
[06:26] | Of course not, you’re not divorced. | 当然不 你还没离婚 |
[06:27] | Don’t start this again, Elsa. | 又来了 爱尔莎 |
[06:29] | But there is a flat available in my building. | 但是我们楼里有一间公寓是空的 |
[06:32] | I could look after you. | 我可以照顾你 |
[06:33] | I am quite capable of tending to myself, thank you. | 我能照顾好自己 谢谢 |
[06:38] | Yes, clearly. | 是的 当然 |
[06:38] | No sleep, a bare apartment, a flaring ulcer, | 不眠不休 空荡荡的公寓 还有胃溃疡 |
[06:41] | you’re the picture of independence. | 你简直就是独立的象征 |
[06:43] | I know this empty space | 我知道你觉得这个空荡的空间 |
[06:46] | must seem uninhabitable to you, | 不适合生活 |
[06:50] | but to me, such a vacuum is second nature. | 但是对我来说 这种真空是第二天性 |
[06:53] | Even I know that vacuums can’t sustain life. | 就连我都知道真空无法维系生命 |
[06:59] | General relativity is everything to me now, Elsa. | 广义相对论是我的一切 爱尔莎 |
[07:03] | Once I’ve solved it, the rest of my life can rush in. | 一旦我解决了 我的余生就充满了意义 |
[07:07] | You are unbearable. | 你真让人难以忍受 |
[07:10] | It’s a pity I love you so much. | 可我还是很爱你 |
[07:19] | 瑞士 苏黎世 | |
[07:21] | Mileva! | 米列娃 瑞士 苏黎世 |
[07:21] | How good to see you. | 看见你真高兴 |
[07:22] | Come in. | 进来 |
[07:23] | I’m afraid I don’t have time today. | 恐怕我今天没有时间 |
[07:26] | Anna was just setting up breakfast. | 安娜正在准备早饭 |
[07:27] | Anna, Anna, Mileva is here, come. | 安娜 安娜 米列娃来了 快过来 |
[07:32] | What a lovely surprise. | 太惊喜了 |
[07:33] | Yes, well, I only came by to borrow some sheet music. | 我只是过来借一些乐谱 |
[07:37] | I find myself with some spare time on my hands. | 我最近挺空闲的 |
[07:39] | I thought perhaps I could teach piano again. | 或许我可以再教人弹钢琴 |
[07:44] | Is everything all right, Mileva? | 你还好吗 米列娃 |
[07:51] | The money Albert sent for the month lasted only a week. | 阿尔伯特寄来的一个月的生活费只够用一周 |
[07:55] | You must write to him for more. | 你得找他多要点钱 |
[07:56] | He wouldn’t want you and the boys to suffer. | 他是不会让你和孩子受苦的 |
[07:59] | He sends all he can. | 他把他有的都寄过来了 |
[08:01] | But with the war, the German mark is practically worthless. | 但是战争爆发 德国马克大幅贬值 |
[08:07] | I’ll go find that sheet music. | 我去找乐谱 |
[08:13] | Has Albert made any plans to visit the boys? | 阿尔伯特有打算来看孩子吗 |
[08:15] | I’m certain he will soon. | 他很快就会来 |
[08:21] | You are too kind to him, Mileva. | 你对他太好了 米列娃 |
[08:24] | I know you will find students quickly. | 很快就会有学生来的 |
[08:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[09:05] | Mama! | 妈妈 |
[09:06] | Frau Einstein. | 爱因斯坦太太 |
[09:07] | Herr Nicolai. | 尼柯莱先生 |
[09:08] | I was not expecting company. | 我没想到有人会来 |
[09:09] | And apparently neither were you. | 显然你也没想到 |
[09:12] | Nicolai is only here bearing news. | 尼柯莱只是来这传递消息的 |
[09:15] | Yes, you see I’m the leader of a new caucus | 是的 我是一个新党团议会的领导人 |
[09:17] | advocating against the war. | 提倡反战 |
[09:20] | Actually, I was wondering | 事实上 我想知道 |
[09:22] | if you would introduce me to Professor Einstein? | 你是否能帮我引荐爱因斯坦教授 |
[09:25] | Ilse tells me you are quite close. | 伊尔丝告诉我你俩关系不错 |
[09:30] | I’m told he was the only scientist | 我听说他是唯一一个 |
[09:32] | who refused to sign the war manifesto. | 拒绝签署战争宣言的科学家 |
[09:34] | The support of a man of his stature | 得到像他这样的人支持 |
[09:36] | would help my cause greatly. | 对我的事业会是极大的帮助 |
[09:39] | I’ll convey the message. | 我会转告他的 |
[09:40] | But Dr Einstein is a very busy man. | 但是爱因斯坦博士非常繁忙 |
[09:45] | Frau Einstein, | 爱因斯坦太太 |
[09:49] | Fraulein Ilse. | 伊尔丝小姐 |
[09:59] | You didn’t have to treat him with such venom. | 你不用对他这么严厉 |
[10:01] | He’s a cad, groping a young woman half his age. | 他是个无赖 勾搭年龄只有他一半的小姑娘 |
[10:04] | It’s unseemly. | 非常不得体 |
[10:05] | You, of all people, are lecturing me about what is unseemly? | 你有什么资格教训我什么是得体 |
[10:08] | Don’t you dare speak to me in that tone. | 你竟敢这样跟我讲话 |
[10:11] | And it is careless of you to insinuate to a stranger | 而且你跟陌生人暗示我和阿尔伯特关系紧密 |
[10:13] | that Albert and I are so close. | 太鲁莽了 |
[10:15] | No one need insinuate anything, mama. | 根本不用暗示 妈妈 |
[10:17] | The neighbors have been gossiping about you two for months. | 邻居们已经八卦你们俩好几个月了 |
[10:20] | You shouldn’t waste your time worrying over my affairs. | 你不必浪费时间担心我的感情生活 |
[10:23] | What I worry over is my own mother’s behavior impeding | 我担心的是 我母亲的行为 |
[10:25] | my chances of ever getting married. | 会影响到我结婚 |
[10:27] | You’ve acted so outrageously that no self-respecting man | 你的行为太出格 有自尊的男人 |
[10:30] | will give me a second look. | 都不会愿意多看我一眼 |
[10:32] | I will make certain that you and your sister are settled. | 我会确保你和你妹妹有个好归宿的 |
[10:35] | But then where will I be? | 但到那时我怎么办 |
[10:39] | When you are older, you will realize | 等你年纪大一些 你就会意识到 |
[10:42] | that there is little for a woman in this world. | 这个世界女人是难以立足的 |
[10:45] | One way or another, I must salvage a life for myself. | 无论如何 我必须给自己找一条生路 |
[11:01] | Eduard, is everything all right? | 爱德华 你还好吗 |
[11:04] | Uncle Michele! | 米凯勒舅舅 |
[11:07] | Dear God, Mileva? | 天啊 米列娃 |
[11:10] | Mileva can you hear me? | 米列娃 你能听到我说话吗 |
[11:11] | She’ll wake up. | 她会醒过来的 |
[11:13] | She always does. | 她总是这样 |
[11:15] | This has happened before? | 之前发生过这种状况吗 |
[11:17] | She says her heart beats fast | 她说她心跳很快 |
[11:19] | and then she doesn’t remember what happens next. | 然后她就不记得接下来发生什么了 |
[11:24] | Help me. | 帮个忙 |
[11:25] | Help me lift her. | 帮我把她抬起来 |
[11:26] | She’ll all right, won’t she? | 她会没事的 对吗 |
[11:36] | Professor Hilbert? | 希尔伯特教授 |
[11:38] | Ah, Professor Einstein. | 爱因斯坦教授 |
[11:40] | Come, come. | 快来 快来 |
[11:41] | I was most taken by your lecture on relativity. | 我被你的相对论课程所打动 |
[11:44] | Couldn’t wait to meet the man with such a boundless imagination. | 等不及见见你这位拥有无限想象的人 |
[11:50] | These are calculations for relativity. | 这些是对相对论的计算 |
[11:54] | Well I should hope you would recognize your own quagmire. | 我就知道你能认出自己深陷的泥沼 |
[11:57] | You know, the prickly points in your theory | 你的理论中提出的那些棘手的观点 |
[11:59] | have even me at a loss. | 即便是我 也困惑不解 |
[12:02] | For the moment. | 至少目前如此 |
[12:02] | I had hoped to show you my most recent work. | 我一直想将最新工作展示给你 |
[12:05] | I never imagined a mathematician of your stature would actually | 我从未想过您这般声望的数学家 |
[12:09] | put your mind to it before I even arrived. | 能在我到访之前就将全部身心投入其中 |
[12:11] | I’ve spent the last two days puzzling over it. | 我过去两天都在苦苦思索这个问题 |
[12:15] | I’ve lost the last few years of my life trying | 我花费了数年生命 |
[12:18] | to complete the damn thing. | 想要让理论完整 |
[12:19] | I’m overjoyed that you’re willing to assist me. | 你愿意辅助我 我太高兴了 |
[12:22] | Assist you? | 辅助你 |
[12:24] | Well, that would be fun, but that would take far too long. | 那一定很有趣 但太浪费时间了 |
[12:26] | No, no, I can solve it much more quickly on my own. | 不 我自己来算 会快很多 |
[12:30] | On your own? | 你自己吗 |
[12:31] | Professor Einstein, physics is far too complicated | 爱因斯坦教授 将物理留给物理学家来解决 |
[12:35] | to be left to physicists. | 这太复杂了 |
[12:39] | Albert, what are you so upset about? | 阿尔伯特 你为何如此心烦 |
[12:40] | He’s going to finish it first! | 他会比我先完成的 |
[12:42] | Well consider yourself lucky. | 你应该感到幸运 |
[12:46] | It’s not every day one of the greatest mathematicians | 并不是每天都能有世界着名的数学家 |
[12:49] | in the world decides to take up the cause of a physicist. | 决定参与到物理的事业中 |
[12:52] | Sit down, Albert, please. | 先坐下吧 阿尔伯特 |
[12:54] | Relativity is the greatest idea I have ever had. | 相对论是我迄今为止最伟大的想法 |
[12:58] | Is it so wrong that I want to bring it to completion on my own? | 我想自己完成有错吗 |
[13:04] | Albert, are you really going to | 阿尔伯特 你真的准备 |
[13:05] | start a public pissing contest over academic credit | 在我们的士兵 我的儿子们 |
[13:08] | when our boys, my sons, | 在外打仗 |
[13:12] | are out the there fighting an actual war? | 争夺学术成果所有权吗 |
[13:16] | Besides, Hilbert is a top-rate mathematician. | 再者说 希尔伯特是位顶级的数学家 |
[13:20] | You’d be foolish to try to match his pace. | 你想跟上他的速度 不太现实 |
[13:21] | Max, this is all I have. | 麦克斯 这是我的全部 |
[13:26] | Life is more than work, Albert. | 生活不止眼前的工作 阿尔伯特 |
[13:32] | I am about to embark on a great folly. | 我要开始做件蠢事了 |
[13:32] | 普鲁士学院 我要开始做件蠢事了 | |
[13:37] | This will be the first of four lectures. | 这是四堂讲座的第一节 |
[13:43] | I will certainly be dubbed mad, | 你们肯定会觉得我疯了 |
[13:49] | but by the last lecture, I will either have tamed this beast | 但课程结束之前 我不是将这头”野兽”驯服 |
[13:57] | or will have been trampled by it. | 就是被这头”野兽”宰割 |
[14:18] | The Lagrangian must be constructed in such a way | 拉格朗日方程必须建立在 |
[14:22] | as to respect the transformations we saw. | 尊重我们已知的变换上 |
[14:25] | Now we can attempt to construct various field equations, | 现在我们可以尝试建立各种场方程了 |
[14:29] | analogous to what Maxwell wrote on electromagnetism. | 类似于麦克斯韦所建立的电磁方程 |
[14:33] | This equation works for planetary orbits that never shift. | 这个方程适用于从不变化的行星轨道 |
[14:39] | But here the constant shift in mercury’s orbit due to | 但眼前不变的水星轨道 |
[14:43] | the constant gravitational pull of the sun should. | 是太阳恒定的万有引力所导致的 |
[15:40] | Have you solved it, Professor Einstein? | 你解决了吗 爱因斯坦教授 |
[15:42] | Not quite yet, but the beast is cowering, | 还没有 但我可以确定的是 |
[15:45] | that’s for sure! | “野兽”开始畏缩了 |
[15:48] | If only they’d let women into the academy. | 要是他们同意女人进入学院就好了 |
[15:51] | What I wouldn’t give to see Albert sweat out | 我愿意付出一切 |
[15:54] | his calculations in front of an audience. | 看到阿尔伯特在观众面前手忙脚乱地计算 |
[15:56] | It says here he doesn’t sleep, stays up all hours | 据说他不睡觉 |
[15:59] | of the night, working. | 通宵工作 |
[16:01] | He should be applying his mind to more urgent matters. | 他应该专心解决更要紧的问题 |
[16:03] | You certainly are puffing yourself up | 你穿得这么隆重 |
[16:05] | just for making gunpowder, aren’t you? | 就为了制造火药 是不是 |
[16:08] | I am doing much more than making gunpowder. | 我可不仅仅是制造火药 |
[16:16] | 六年前 | |
[16:17] | By forcing air over the iron | 在强压下 六年前 |
[16:19] | and potassium hydroxide promoter at such intense pressure, | 将空气过火 并经氢氧化钾催化 |
[16:21] | 卡尔斯鲁厄大雪 | |
[16:23] | the hydrogen from natural gasses | 天然气中的氢气 |
[16:24] | combines with nitrogen from the air, | 与空气中的氮气结合 |
[16:27] | producing pure liquid ammonia, | 可产生纯净的液氨 |
[16:32] | containing the form of nitrogen most easily consumed | 这是最容易被植物消耗的 |
[16:36] | by plant life. | 氮素形态 |
[16:40] | That is not enough to feed one common ficus. | 这不足以供最常见的榕属植物消耗 |
[16:43] | We’ll build a large-scale, high-pressure reactor that would. | 我们会建造能产生足够液氨的大规模高压反应器 |
[16:47] | Blow up a small town? | 炸毁一座小城镇吗 |
[16:48] | The pressure you would need to produce ammonia | 你所需要的可以大量产氨的压强 |
[16:50] | in large quantities would explode any reactor on earth. | 足以炸毁地球上的任何反应器 |
[16:53] | Were you going to inform us of this risk, Herr Haber? | 你是要告知我们其中的危险吗 哈伯先生 |
[16:56] | We can build a new reactor. | 我们可以建造一个新的反应器 |
[17:00] | Bigger, stronger. | 更大 更强 |
[17:03] | Of course, it will take money, quite a lot of it. | 当然了 需要花费很多金钱 |
[17:06] | Gentlemen, Germany will go hungry without fertilizer. | 先生们 没有肥料 德国人就要挨饿了 |
[17:10] | And, I do understand the difficulty of industrializing such a process. | 当然 我也明白工业化这一进程的困难性 |
[17:14] | But what’s in this beaker is already most of the way toward | 但这个烧杯中的东西离 |
[17:17] | a feat no one thought possible. | 无人认为可以实现的壮举已经很接近了 |
[17:19] | I have devised a way to pull nitrogen out of thin air. | 我已想出办法 凭空产生氮气 |
[17:23] | I imagine there would be profit to be had in feeding the world. | 我觉得要养活全世界是有利益可言的 |
[17:27] | No? | 不是吗 |
[17:34] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[17:36] | Dear God, have you been eating? | 天啊 你吃过东西吗 |
[17:38] | With the war rations, nobody’s been eating. | 按照战争的限量供应 没有人能吃东西 |
[17:41] | You need rest. | 你需要休息 |
[17:42] | Your ulcer. | 你有胃溃疡 |
[17:43] | Relativity is at my fingertips, Elsa. | 相对论已唾手可得了 爱尔莎 |
[17:46] | I can almost touch it. | 我甚至能摸到了 |
[17:48] | The universe isn’t going anywhere, Albert. | 宇宙又不会跑 阿尔伯特 |
[17:52] | A little sleep will do you good. | 小睡一会儿对你有好处 |
[17:53] | I had a glorious breakthrough today, Elsa. | 我今天有了重大突破 爱尔莎 |
[17:56] | Michele wrote to you five times. | 米凯勒给你写了五封信 |
[17:59] | You’d know if you didn’t disappear under a rock | 要不是你躲在书堆底下埋头苦干 |
[18:01] | when you throw yourself into work. | 你早就知道了 |
[18:03] | When you didn’t answer, he finally wrote to me. | 你不回信 他就写给了我 |
[18:05] | Has something happened? | 发生什么事了吗 |
[18:07] | – The boys. – They’re fine. | -孩子们 -他们没事 |
[18:08] | It’s Mileva. | 是米列娃 |
[18:10] | She’s been suffering from heart troubles | 她饱受心脏问题的困扰 |
[18:11] | and is recovering in the hospital. | 目前在医院治疗 |
[18:14] | Who’s taking care of Eduard and Hans Albert? | 谁在照顾爱德华和汉斯 |
[18:16] | Michele is looking after them. | 米凯勒在照顾他们 |
[18:18] | Then they are in good hands. | 那他们就没事了 |
[18:19] | Don’t worry yourself over Mileva. | 别担心米列娃 |
[18:21] | She’ll be fine. | 她会没事的 |
[18:22] | She does this. | 她总是这样 |
[18:23] | The woman craves attention. | 这女人渴望被关注 |
[18:25] | But your boys need you. | 但你的儿子们需要你 |
[18:26] | I’ll write to Michele at once. | 我马上给米凯勒写信 |
[18:28] | I’ll be there for them as soon as I finish my lectures. | 我演讲后马上就过去照顾他们 |
[18:41] | Dr Einstein? | 爱因斯坦博士 |
[18:42] | Georg Nicolai. | 我是葛罗格·尼古莱 |
[18:43] | I am acquainted with Elsa. | 我认识爱尔莎 |
[18:46] | Surely she has mentioned me? | 她一定提起过我吧 |
[18:47] | The committee? | 委员会的事 |
[18:49] | I’m afraid I have no idea what you’re talking about, sir. | 先生 我不太清楚你在说什么 |
[18:53] | You see, I’m the leader of a new caucus | 我是一个新党团议会的领导人 |
[18:55] | advocating against the war. | 提倡反战 |
[18:57] | I wish you good luck with it. | 祝你好运 |
[18:58] | All it would take is a signature. | 只需要你签个字就行 |
[19:00] | To show that men of science like yourself stand against | 表示像你这样的科学家 |
[19:03] | the treachery of war. | 是反对战争的 |
[19:04] | It’s not that I don’t sympathize with your mission, sir. | 不是我不支持你的事业 |
[19:06] | But I’m a scientist, not a politician. | 但我是科学家 不是政治家 |
[19:10] | I’ve made a name for myself by refusing to sign my name. | 我已经因为拒绝签字而出名了 |
[19:13] | Good day. | 再见 |
[19:25] | Albert? | 阿尔伯特 |
[19:29] | This just came for you. | 这个刚刚到 |
[19:31] | From Hilbert. | 希尔伯特寄来的 |
[19:59] | He’s done it. | 他成功了 |
[20:02] | He’s completed the last equation. | 他解出了最后一个方程 |
[20:09] | He’s defeated me. | 他打败了我 |
[20:11] | I’m so sorry, Albert. | 我很遗憾 阿尔伯特 |
[20:12] | I was so close, Max. | 就差一点 麦克斯 |
[20:15] | The theory is still yours. | 理论仍旧是你的 |
[20:18] | No one can take that away from you. | 在这点上没人能和你争 |
[20:21] | The final calculation? | 最终的计算结果 |
[20:23] | Merely a footnote. | 无非是个脚注 |
[20:26] | And, at least now you can | 而且 至少你现在可以 |
[20:28] | go see your boys, yes? | 去见你的儿子们了 不是吗 |
[20:40] | Thank you for looking after them, Michele. | 多谢你照顾他们 米凯勒 |
[20:42] | But you won’t have to be burdened | 但你再也不用忍受 |
[20:44] | by these two rascals much longer, | 这两个捣蛋鬼了 |
[20:48] | the doctor says I can go home in two days! | 医生说我两天内就可以回家了 |
[20:51] | Just in time! | 刚刚好 |
[20:53] | Just in time for what? | 什么刚刚好 |
[20:54] | I received a letter. | 我收到一封信 |
[20:56] | From Albert. | 阿尔伯特寄来的 |
[20:57] | He is coming to Zurich. | 他要来苏黎世 |
[20:59] | Isn’t it wonderful, mama? | 是不是很棒 妈妈 |
[21:27] | By order of the federal council, | 根据联邦委员会的命令 |
[21:29] | all Swiss borders have been closed due to the war! | 瑞士所有边境都因为战争被封锁了 |
[21:32] | This train and all passengers will be turned back to Germany. | 这列火车和所有乘客都要返回德国 |
[21:35] | Excuse me. | 打扰一下 |
[21:36] | I have a Swiss passport, here let me show you. | 我有瑞士护照 我给你看 |
[21:39] | The train is going back, sir. | 这列火车要返程 先生 |
[21:41] | But I must see my sons. | 但我一定要见我的儿子们 |
[21:42] | Their mother is ill, surely. | 他们的母亲病了 |
[21:43] | No exceptions, sir. | 没有例外 先生 |
[21:45] | By order of the federal council, | 根据联邦委员会的命令 |
[21:48] | all Swiss borders have been closed due to the war! | 瑞士所有边境都因为战争被封锁了 |
[22:00] | It’s getting cold. | 越来越冷了 |
[22:06] | Come inside, Hans. Have some cocoa. | 进来吧 汉斯 喝点可可 |
[22:09] | Just a little longer, uncle Michele. | 再等一会 米凯勒叔叔 |
[22:12] | He’s coming. | 他会来的 |
[22:14] | I know it. | 我确定 |
[22:36] | 哈伯府 | |
[22:37] | 战时柏林 哈伯府 | |
[22:39] | Good evening, sir. | 晚上好 长官 |
[22:42] | Frau Haber, I presume. | 你是哈伯太太吧 |
[22:43] | I have an appointment with your husband. | 我和你丈夫有约 |
[22:47] | At this hour? | 都这个点了 |
[22:48] | Would you inform him that General Lehning | 能否告知他 雷宁将军 |
[22:50] | is here to see him. | 来见他了 |
[22:51] | No need, this way. | 不必了 这边请 |
[24:05] | A glorious day! | 伟大的一天 |
[24:07] | It’s raining, Professor Einstein. | 下雨了 爱因斯坦教授 |
[24:08] | Let it rain! | 让它下吧 |
[24:09] | Hilbert made a mistake! | 希尔伯特犯了个错误 |
[24:13] | And so, when the next eclipse | 并且 下一次日食 |
[24:16] | is upon us, these calculations will explain, | 到来的时候 这些计算结果可以一劳永逸地 |
[24:19] | once and for all, relativity | 解释相对论 |
[24:23] | and the reason for mercury’s pesky orbit around the sun. | 还能解释水星围绕太阳运转的奇怪轨道 |
[24:28] | There, | 看吧 |
[24:32] | it is complete. | 完成了 |
[25:02] | Clara? | 克拉拉 |
[25:04] | Clara, what a nice surprise. | 克拉拉 真意外啊 |
[25:06] | But there’s little use in freezing to death before our time. | 别在外面挨冻了 |
[25:09] | – Shall we? – How are the boys? | -好吗 -孩子们好吗 |
[25:12] | Do tell me some news of them. | 告诉我他们的近况 |
[25:13] | Clara, what is it? | 克拉拉 到底什么事 |
[25:14] | Surely you haven’t come for news of my boys. | 你不会是为我儿子的近况而来 |
[25:17] | I’m worried about Fritz. | 我很担心弗里茨 |
[25:19] | He disappears all hours of the day and night. | 他已经一整天没有消息了 |
[25:22] | And he’s always wearing that damn uniform, | 他总是穿着那套该死的制服 |
[25:24] | like a child playing dress up. | 就像小孩在玩换装游戏 |
[25:27] | I wouldn’t be concerned this. | 如果我是你就不会为此担心 |
[25:29] | He’s only helping Rathenau produce gunpowder. | 他只是在协助拉特瑙生产火药 |
[25:32] | He’s working on something else, Albert. | 他在做其他的事 阿尔伯特 |
[25:37] | Something terrible. | 很严重的事 |
[25:40] | I cannot live with a man who engineers death. | 我不能和制造死亡的人一起过啊 |
[26:05] | It’s abominable. | 这太可憎了 |
[26:10] | Have you ever seen men twisting in agony | 你见过战场上的人被子弹射穿 |
[26:13] | on the battlefield, shot through with bullets? | 痛苦地挣扎吗 |
[26:15] | Or witnessed the horror in an infirmary | 或者见过医院里败血症 |
[26:18] | as sepsis overtakes a body? | 夺走人们生命的恐怖场景 |
[26:20] | That’s abominable, Albert. | 那才可憎 阿尔伯特 |
[26:22] | This, this is humane. | 这是人道的 |
[26:25] | You’d burn a man’s insides, | 这会灼伤人的内脏 |
[26:28] | make him drown in his own phlegm? | 最终让他被自己的痰呛死 |
[26:30] | They’re slaughtering our boys. | 他们正在屠杀我们的人 |
[26:31] | Because we attacked them. | 那也是因为我们先袭击他们 |
[26:33] | Are you taking their side? | 你是在支持他们吗 |
[26:35] | I’m taking the side of humanity. | 我是在支持人性 |
[26:38] | Sitting on your hands. | 你还是作壁上观吧 |
[26:39] | That’s a convenient vantage point from which to judge. | 这样才更利于你判断孰是孰非 |
[26:42] | Great men of history aren’t remembered for doing nothing, Albert. | 历史上的伟人可不是因不作为被铭记的 阿尔伯特 |
[26:44] | They are remembered for taking action when no one else would. | 他们因为他人置身事外时有所作为而被人铭记 |
[26:48] | I see, so you’re doing this for glory. | 我明白了 你这么做是为了荣誉 |
[26:52] | No, I’m doing it to save lives. | 不 我是为拯救生命 |
[26:54] | Fritz, you’re not making any sense. | 弗里茨 你这是强词夺理 |
[26:56] | We will only need to use it once. | 我们只需要用一次 |
[26:58] | The French, the Russians, they will see the power we wield | 法国人 沙俄人 他们会看到我们的武力 |
[27:04] | and will have no choice but to surrender | 为了避免更多的伤亡 |
[27:05] | before any more people die. | 他们将别无选择只能投降 |
[27:06] | My friend, listen to me. | 我的朋友 听我说 |
[27:08] | You don’t have to go through with this. | 你不必完成它 |
[27:10] | It’s not too late. | 现在还来得及 |
[27:12] | We’re scientists. | 我们是科学家 |
[27:13] | Not purveyors of death and destruction. | 不是死亡和毁灭的传播者 |
[27:16] | During times of peace a scientist belongs to the world. | 在和平时期 科学家属于世界 |
[27:20] | But during times of war, he belongs to his country. | 但是在战争时期 他属于他的国家 |
[27:32] | Peace cannot be kept by force, Fritz. | 武力是无法维持和平的 弗里茨 |
[27:37] | It can only be achieved by understanding. | 只有理解才能实现和平 |
[27:53] | Do you know, Max? | 你知情吗 麦克斯 |
[27:54] | What Fritz has been working on? | 弗里茨最近在做的事 |
[28:01] | 普朗克·卡尔 116兵团 | |
[28:01] | Max? | 麦克斯 普朗克·卡尔 116兵团 |
[28:03] | They say they will give him a medal, a medal. | 他们说会给他一枚勋章 一枚勋章 |
[28:11] | Max. | 麦克斯 |
[28:12] | He was killed at a battle in Verdun. | 他死于凡尔登[法国东北部城市]的一场战役 |
[28:15] | They told me he faced his final moments with great courage. | 他们告诉我他临终时非常勇敢 |
[28:21] | I’m sure he did. | 我想是这样的 |
[28:28] | You really think so? | 你真这么想 |
[28:31] | Because all I can picture is the little boy who ran into my arms | 因为我脑海里浮现的全是被邻居的狗吓到后 |
[28:34] | when the neighbor’s dog barked at him. | 跑进我怀里的那个小男孩 |
[28:38] | That little boy, lying in a cold field | 那个小男孩 现在却躺在寒冷的旷野中 |
[28:44] | without his papa to hold him. | 再也回不到爸爸温暖的怀抱 |
[28:48] | God, I can only imagine how scared he must have been. | 天啊 我只能想象他一直以来有多害怕 |
[28:56] | You should be with your family. | 你应该和家人在一起 |
[28:58] | Come, come, I’ll take you home. | 来 我送你回家 |
[29:03] | You were right to defy Rathenau’s call to arms. | 你反抗拉特瑙号召战争的行为是对的 |
[29:09] | Right and wrong become blurred in times like these. | 这种情况下 对与错也不好分辨了 |
[29:13] | I signed their damn war manifesto. | 我签了他们那该死的战争宣言 |
[29:18] | And now it feels like I signed my own son’s death warrant. | 现在看来就像是签了我儿子的死刑令 |
[29:25] | We can’t just stand by any longer, can we? | 我们不能再袖手旁观了 是吗 |
[29:38] | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 | |
[29:43] | Your good name will draw the attention we need. | 您的名声会为我们带来需要的关注 |
[29:46] | I’m afraid the attention may not be what you want. | 我担心这样的关注并不是你想要的 |
[29:49] | Many of my opponents think I’m a traitor for opposing the war. | 很多我的反对者因我反对战争而视我为叛徒 |
[29:52] | To stand for your principles when all others | 在其他人都遗忘原则时依然坚持 |
[29:54] | have forgotten theirs isn’t traitorous. | 你的原则 并不是背叛 |
[29:59] | It’s patriotic. | 这才是爱国 |
[30:12] | The wind is picking up, sir. | 起风了 先生 |
[30:20] | Inform the general we are ready. | 通知将军一切就绪 |
[30:59] | 法国军队战壕 第二次伊普尔战役 | |
[32:12] | To a true hero! | 敬一位真正的英雄 |
[32:14] | The English papers are calling Captain Haber’s gas | 英国报纸称哈伯队长的毒气为 |
[32:16] | the “Death cloud.” | “死亡之云” |
[32:17] | The enemy will surely surrender soon, | 敌人必然会很快投降的 |
[32:20] | thanks to our gracious host, to Captain Haber! | 这都归功于我们伟大的主人 敬哈伯队长 |
[32:24] | To Captain Haber! | 敬哈伯队长 |
[32:28] | Yes, well, um, thank you. | 好的 谢谢大家 |
[32:30] | But even victory isn’t worth letting a fine lamb shank | 但是即使胜利也不该让上好的羊腿肉 |
[32:33] | turn cold, so, please. | 变凉 请享用吧 |
[32:37] | I’ve heard rumors the Kaiser himself is to bestow | 我听说德皇要亲自授予 |
[32:40] | a medal on your husband. | 你的丈夫一枚勋章 |
[32:42] | You must be very proud, Frau Haber. | 你一定很自豪 哈伯太太 |
[32:55] | Whatever grand invention will you contrive next, Captain Haber? | 接下来你还会设计什么伟大的发明 哈伯队长 |
[33:01] | At the moment, I’m still trying to perfect this one. | 目前 我还在努力完善这一个 |
[33:05] | We need a more efficient means to deploy the gas. | 我们需要更高效的方式来调配毒气 |
[33:07] | I think it’s quite efficient already. | 我觉得已经相当高效了 |
[33:19] | Clara! | 克拉拉 |
[33:22] | No, no, no. | 不 不 |
[33:43] | 德国 柏林 停战日 | |
[33:43] | The war is over! | 战争结束了 德国 柏林 停战日 |
[33:45] | Troops to return home. | 军队要回家了 德国 柏林 停战日 |
[33:47] | Armistice signed! | 停战协议签署了 |
[33:49] | The war is over! | 战争结束了 |
[33:51] | Albert? | 阿尔伯特 |
[33:56] | The Kaiser has fled. | 德国皇帝逃跑了 |
[33:59] | The war is finished. | 战争结束了 |
[34:00] | Thank God, Elsa. | 感谢上帝 艾尔莎 |
[34:05] | 战争结束了 | |
[34:05] | It says here we’re a democracy now. | 据说现在我们这里是民主主义了 战争结束了 |
[34:09] | Demokratia, rule by the people. | 民主主义 人民当家做主了 |
[34:16] | Let’s hope the people have their heads on straight. | 希望老百姓保得住脑袋 |
[34:19] | Oh, my love. | 亲爱的 |
[34:22] | Don’t fill your brilliant head fill with gloomy thoughts. | 别让你聪明的脑子充满阴郁的念头 |
[34:26] | It’s finally finished. | 终于还是结束了 |
[34:32] | Yet I cannot help but feel somehow | 可我仍然忍不住感到 |
[34:33] | it’s only just begun. | 这才只是开始 |
[34:35] | Troops to return home! | 军队回家了 |
[34:38] | Armistice signed! | 停战协议签订了 |
[34:40] | The war is over! | 战争结束了 |
[34:53] | Please, spare some coin? | 求求你 施舍点吧 |
[35:01] | Albert, there’s a telegram for you. | 阿尔伯特 有你的电报 |
[35:03] | Britain, the United States, Russia, | 英国 美国 沙俄 |
[35:05] | they all want reparations. | 他们都要索取赔偿 |
[35:09] | France is threatening to occupy the Ruhr if we don’t pay. | 法国威胁说 如不赔偿就侵占鲁尔区 |
[35:13] | Forgiveness never comes cheap. | 宽恕的代价向来不菲 |
[35:15] | It’s from Arthur Eddington. | 这是亚瑟·爱丁顿发来的 |
[35:24] | What is it? | 写了什么 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 |
[35:25] | A silver lining, it seems. | 似乎是黑暗中的一线希望 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 |
[35:28] | “U-boats no longer threat, stop. | “德国潜艇不再是威胁了 |
[35:30] | Will sail to Africa, will photograph eclipse, stop.” | 将驶往非洲 拍摄日食” |
[35:35] | Albert, that’s wonderful news. | 阿尔伯特 这消息太棒了 |
[35:36] | “Relativity proof imminent, stop.” | “相对论的验证即将来临” |
[35:40] | I cannot wait to read that in the scientific journals, | 我真迫不及待想在科学期刊上读到 |
[35:43] | hopefully with a little more flair. | 希望还能有些品味 |
[35:51] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[35:52] | You can forget about the journals, Albert. | 别提期刊了 阿尔伯特 |
[35:55] | When you’re proved right, your name is going be printed in | 如果你被证明是对的 你的大名会出现在 |
[35:58] | every newspaper around the entire globe. | 全世界所有的报纸上 |
[36:00] | You’ll be famous. | 你会出名的 |
[36:01] | Don’t be silly. | 别傻了. |
[36:02] | I’m a scientist. | 我是科学家 |
[36:03] | They’ll want interviews. | 他们会想要采访你 |
[36:05] | They’ll want to know all about your life. | 会想要知道你的所有生活琐事 |
[36:07] | Your family, me. | 你的家庭 还有我 |
[36:11] | We’ll tell them you are my social secretary. | 我们可以告诉他们 你是我的社交秘书 |
[36:13] | It took the neighbors a couple of months. | 邻居们花了几个月就发现 |
[36:15] | Imagine the journalists clambering for a story, | 想想那些对故事揪住不放的记者 |
[36:18] | how long until they discover that you are living in sin, | 他们过多久会发现你和 |
[36:21] | with a divorce, who is your first cousin? | 你离了婚的堂姐同居在一起呢 |
[36:23] | Who cares what they think. | 谁在乎他们怎么想呢 |
[36:25] | I care. | 我在乎 |
[36:29] | Elsa, I’ve asked Mileva for a divorce | 艾尔莎 我用尽了各种能想到的方式 |
[36:31] | in every way imaginable. | 请求米列娃离婚 |
[36:33] | Then you must ask her again. | 那你就该再去请求她 |
[36:36] | Make her an offer of some kind. | 给她一点好处 |
[36:37] | We don’t have any more Deutschmarks to give! | 我们再也没有钱可以给了 |
[36:39] | Fritz does. He would lend to you. | 弗里茨有 他会借给你的 |
[36:41] | I cannot take blood money from that warmonger. | 我不能要那个战争贩子沾着血的钱 |
[36:44] | Well you had better think of something. | 那你最好想个办法 |
[36:47] | Because it’s one thing for me to withstand the shaming stares | 虽然我抵抗得了那些邻居 |
[36:50] | of our neighbors. | 充满羞辱的目光 |
[36:51] | But you cannot expect me to do that | 但别指望我能 |
[36:53] | in front of the entire world. | 与全世界对抗 |
[36:57] | I need the divorce. | 我必须要离婚 |
[37:00] | Are you asking me? | 是你在请求我 |
[37:02] | Or is it Elsa? | 还是艾尔莎 |
[37:07] | I’m sorry I could not be what you needed, Mileva. | 很抱歉我做不了你需要的人 米列娃 |
[37:09] | What about Hans and Eduard? | 汉斯和爱德华怎么办 |
[37:13] | All they needed was a reliable father. | 他们需要只是一个可靠的父亲 |
[37:15] | You took them away from me. | 是你把他们从我身边带走的 |
[37:17] | I didn’t. | 我没有 |
[37:21] | A British astronomer is heading for Africa in a few months time | 英国天文学家几个月后会前往非洲 |
[37:25] | to capture the solar eclipse. | 去抓拍日食的照片 |
[37:29] | The first one in years. | 数年来的第一次 |
[37:30] | You’re sure you’re right this time? | 这次你真确定自己是对的 |
[37:32] | Your equations are co-variant? | 你的方程是协变的 |
[37:34] | Yes. | 对 |
[37:34] | They will define the general relativity | 他们会定义所有运动形式的 |
[37:36] | of all forms of motion. | 广义相对论 |
[37:39] | It’s an extraordinary achievement. | 这是个伟大的成就 |
[37:42] | And you were there to help me | 而你曾在一开始 |
[37:44] | at the beginning of it all. | 帮助过我 |
[37:47] | I will never forget that. | 我永远不会忘记 |
[37:50] | Recognition from the greatest scientist in the world. | 得到全世界最伟大的科学家的认可 |
[37:52] | At last. | 真不容易 |
[37:53] | My career is complete. | 我的人生算是圆满了 |
[37:55] | There’s already much discussion of a Nobel. | 关于诺贝尔奖也已经有所讨论了 |
[38:01] | You know, it comes with a great deal of prize money. | 你知道 会有很多奖金的 |
[38:03] | I want you to have it. | 我希望给你 |
[38:05] | All of it. | 全都给你 |
[38:06] | You want to pay me for a divorce. | 你想通过付钱来离婚 |
[38:09] | You deserve to be taken care of, Dollie. | 你应该受到照顾的 洋娃娃 |
[38:11] | Do not call me that. | 别这么叫我 |
[38:12] | I’m offering you more money than either of us | 我是把比我们见过的 |
[38:14] | has ever seen, Mileva. | 都要多的钱给你 米列娃 |
[38:16] | You need this. | 你用得上 |
[38:17] | Don’t be proud. | 别太高傲 |
[38:18] | Get out. | 出去 |
[38:19] | If not for you, do it for the boys. | 就算不为你着想 也想想孩子们 |
[38:21] | I said get out! | 我叫你出去 |
[38:35] | What more do you want from me? | 你还想从我这儿得到什么 |
[38:56] | Why are you doing this to yourself, Mother? | 你为什么要为难自己 母亲 |
[38:58] | He obviously wants nothing to do with us. | 他很明显不想跟我们有任何关系 |
[39:00] | He hasn’t since he left me sitting on that step. | 自从他让我坐在台阶枯等后就跟我们没关系了 |
[39:06] | Just give him what he wants. | 就把他想要的给他吧 |
[39:07] | He’ll be out of our lives and we can all move forward, | 他会离开我们的生活 我们都能向前看 |
[39:10] | once and for all. | 一劳永逸 |
[39:35] | Well? | 怎么样 |
[39:38] | She finally agreed. | 她终于同意了 |
[39:43] | But it comes with a terrible price. | 但代价非常高昂 |
[39:55] | State the reason for your divorce. | 说明你们离婚的原因 |
[39:58] | Adultery, Herr Richter. | 通奸 里克特先生 |
[40:00] | And who is the guilty party? | 过错方是谁 |
[40:02] | I am, Herr Richter. | 是我 里克特先生 |
[40:04] | I have been living with Elsa Einstein, divorced Lowenthal, | 我跟爱尔莎·爱因斯坦同居大约四年了 |
[40:10] | for approximately four years, | 她的前夫是洛文托 |
[40:13] | and have had continued intimate relations with her. | 我也持续跟她有亲密关系 |
[40:17] | Did you bring proof? | 你有带证据来吗 |
[40:18] | She’s the woman sitting behind me, Herr Richter. | 她是坐在我身后的女人 里克特先生 |
[40:21] | Well, please indicate to the court, where she is. | 请向法庭指认她在哪里 |
[40:33] | Is this true, madam? | 这是真的吗 夫人 |
[40:37] | Yes, Herr Richter. | 是的 里克特先生 |
[40:39] | The provisions of the divorce state that | 两位的离婚条款规定 |
[40:40] | Mileva Maric, married Einstein, will receive | 米列娃·马里奇 夫姓爱因斯坦 会收到 |
[40:44] | an annual stipend of 9,000 Deutschmarks. | 每年九千马克的津贴 |
[40:48] | Adding to this, Professor Einstein promises her | 除此之外 爱因斯坦教授承诺 |
[40:51] | the full proceeds of a Nobel prize, should he be awarded it. | 如果他获得诺贝尔奖 会将全额奖金给她 |
[40:58] | Very well. | 很好 |
[40:59] | On to the children. | 至于孩子 |
[41:00] | Mileva Maric is to retain full custody in Zurich, | 米列娃·马里奇将在苏黎世保留全部监护权 |
[41:05] | and the boys shall not be permitted to | 孩子不可获准 |
[41:07] | visit their father in Berlin. | 到柏林探视父亲 |
[41:15] | Professor, do you object? | 教授 你反对吗 |
[41:30] | No, I do not object. | 不 我不反对 |
[41:37] | Dr and Mrs Einstein, over here! | 爱因斯坦博士 夫人 请看这里 |
[41:40] | 剑桥大学 1919年 | |
[41:42] | Dr Einstein, Dr Einstein! | 爱因斯坦博士 爱因斯坦博士 剑桥大学 1919年 |
[41:45] | What did you do when you first heard that Mr Eddington | 你第一次听到爱丁顿先生证明你的理论正确时 |
[41:47] | had proved your theory correct? | 你做了什么呢 |
[41:48] | Well, I went back to work. | 我就继续工作了 |
[41:50] | And I bought myself a new violin. | 我也为自己买了一把新小提琴 |
[41:55] | Mr Eddington, what did your photographs prove exactly? | 爱丁顿先生 你的照片到底证实了什么 |
[41:57] | That gravity bends light passing next to the sun | 重力会弯折经过太阳旁边的光束 |
[42:01] | by approximately 1.7 arc seconds, | 角度约1.7弧秒 |
[42:04] | just as Dr Einstein predicted. | 符合爱因斯坦博士的预测 |
[42:07] | Meaning what? | 意思是 |
[42:08] | Meaning, gentlemen, that the greatest of all | 意思是 先生们 最伟大的 |
[42:11] | scientific generalizations, the laws of Sir Isaac Newton, | 科学性概括 艾萨克·牛顿爵士的定律 |
[42:15] | have just received their first major modification | 刚刚受到超过两世纪以来 |
[42:18] | in over two centuries. | 首次重大的修正 |
[42:20] | We are all witness to one of the most resplendent achievements | 我们都目睹了在我们有生之年 |
[42:24] | of human thought in our lifetime. | 人类思想最辉煌的成就之一 |
[42:27] | Write that down. | 把这个写下来 |
[42:29] | Relativity is a hoax. | 相对论是个骗局 |
[42:31] | Doctor Lenard, it was just proven by Arthur Eddington. | 勒纳博士 亚瑟·爱丁顿刚证实相对论 |
[42:35] | What happens at the next eclipse, when the results vary? | 如果下次日蚀发生时结果不同 那怎么办 |
[42:39] | You will look like fools. | 你们会看起来像傻子 |
[42:41] | 我们的发现改变科学 | |
[42:41] | Our discoveries changed science | 诺贝尔研究所 瑞典斯德哥尔摩 我们的发现改变科学 |
[42:43] | because they were grounded in facts. | 因为它们以事实为基础 诺贝尔研究所 瑞典斯德哥尔摩 |
[42:45] | They weren’t philosophical conjectures cloaked | 它们不是哲学猜想 披着 |
[42:49] | in equations designed to deceive. | 以欺骗为目的的方程式的外衣 |
[42:53] | As the Nobel selection committee, | 身为诺贝尔奖评选委员会 |
[42:54] | it is your duty to know the difference. | 你们应该负责区别其中差异 |
[42:59] | They’re giving it to Max Planck. | 他们要颁奖给马克思·普朗克 |
[43:03] | Well, you always said it was a shame | 你之前总说很可惜 |
[43:04] | how the Nobel committee overlooked him all these years. | 诺贝尔奖委员会这么多年都忽略他 |
[43:07] | They’re giving it to Fritz, too. | 他们也颁奖给弗里茨 |
[43:09] | In Chemistry. | 化学奖 |
[43:12] | For his nitrogen trick. | 奖励他的氮把戏 |
[43:18] | Quite a year for the Prussian Academy. | 普鲁士科学院今年真是大丰收 |
[43:21] | Well, I’m sure a lovely celebration will be in order. | 我相信一定会举办一场盛大的庆祝 |
[43:26] | I’m not going if Fritz is to be honored. | 如果弗里茨得奖 我才不参加 |
[43:28] | Albert, if you insist on condemning a man for his mistakes | 阿尔伯特 如果你坚持谴责一个人的过错 |
[43:32] | you must be willing to applaud him for his triumphs. | 你也必须愿意为他的胜利喝采 |
[43:35] | Fritz didn’t start the war. | 弗里茨并没有宣战 |
[43:36] | He’s responsible for thousands of deaths. | 他得为数千人的死亡负责 |
[43:39] | He also saved half of Europe from starvation. | 他也让半个欧洲免于饥荒 |
[43:42] | Doesn’t that mean something? | 这难道不算什么吗 |
[43:44] | I cannot congratulate a killer | 我无法祝贺一个杀手 |
[43:45] | and call myself a pacifist. | 同时自称为和平主义者 |
[43:47] | But if you insist that the worst disputes | 但如果你认为两个交战国家之间 |
[43:49] | between two warring nations can be resolved, | 最严重的分歧都能解决 |
[43:52] | then can’t two old friends make peace? | 那为什么两位老朋友不能和好 |
[44:01] | 普鲁士科学院 1919年 | |
[44:03] | Albert! | 阿尔伯特 普鲁士科学院 1919年 |
[44:05] | What can I say, old friend? | 我该说什么呢 老朋友 |
[44:07] | It’s about time they honored you. | 他们早该颁奖给你了 |
[44:09] | How many years has it been since you discovered light quanta? | 你发现光量子已经多少年了 |
[44:13] | About 3,000. | 大概三千年了吧 |
[44:15] | Truly, Max, congratulations. | 马克思 真是太恭喜你了 |
[44:20] | It should have been yours. | 这个奖应该颁给你的 |
[44:21] | Nonsense. | 胡说 |
[44:23] | You deserve it more than any man in this room. | 你比这个房间里的任何人都有资格得奖 |
[44:27] | Excuse me, Dr Planck? | 抱歉打扰 普朗克博士 |
[44:29] | We’ll talk. | 晚点聊 |
[44:50] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[44:52] | A Nobel in Chemistry, that is something. | 诺贝尔化学奖 真是了不起啊 |
[44:56] | I’m not a genius like you, Albert. | 我不像你是个天才 阿尔伯特 |
[45:00] | All I did was see a problem and find a way to fix it. | 我所做的只是看见问题 找到方法解决而已 |
[45:02] | That’s what I try to do, I suppose. | 我想那是我努力的目标 |
[45:04] | Fix things. | 解决问题 |
[45:05] | Yes, of course. | 对 当然 |
[45:07] | Or destroy them. | 或是摧毁它们 |
[45:08] | That is entirely unfair. | 这很不公平 |
[45:10] | Did you not invent a new way to destroy human life? | 你不是发明了一种新方法杀人吗 |
[45:13] | Yes, but that was not my only innovation. | 没错 但这不是我唯一的发明 |
[45:16] | I’m being honored tonight for the good I’ve done. | 今晚是表彰我所做的有益之事 |
[45:20] | Life cannot be balanced | 弗里茨 人生并不能 |
[45:21] | like an equation, Fritz. | 像公式一样平衡 |
[45:24] | Good deeds do not erase the evil ones. | 好坏并不能相互抵消 |
[45:29] | I certainly pray to God you’re wrong for once, Albert. | 我真心对天祈祷你能错一次 阿尔伯特 |
[45:35] | Perhaps I have been too harsh. | 或许我一直太严苛了 |
[45:40] | Perhaps you haven’t. | 或许你没有 |
[45:44] | I never told you, Fritz, | 我从来没告诉过你 弗里茨 |
[45:45] | how sorry I was, about Clara. | 我对克拉拉的事有多抱歉 |
[45:49] | We couldn’t manage to hold on | 我们没能留住 |
[45:50] | to the more brilliant ones, could we? | 那些更出色的人 对吗 |
[45:53] | Gentlemen, smile! | 先生们 微笑 |
[45:58] | He didn’t even win the Nobel | 他甚至都没有赢得诺贝尔奖 一般相对论的实验验证 |
[46:00] | and yet still he graces our front pages. | 但还是在头版耀武扬威 一般相对论的实验验证 |
[46:03] | And not only in Berlin. | 不只是柏林 |
[46:04] | Frankfurt, Paris, London, New York, Tokyo, | 法兰克福 巴黎 伦敦 纽约 东京 |
[46:08] | I could go on. | 还有很多地方 |
[46:10] | All about “General relativity,” yes. | 都在说”广义相对论” 没错 |
[46:12] | Relativity, politics, his hair, | 相对论 政治 他的头发 |
[46:15] | what he ate for breakfast. | 他早餐吃了什么 |
[46:17] | It’s despicable. | 太下作了 |
[46:18] | It’s to be expected. | 也是意料之中的事 |
[46:20] | He’s a Jew. | 他是个犹太人 |
[46:22] | A publicity-seeking Jew who uses his influence | 一个想用自己的影响获利 |
[46:24] | for his own profit. | 一心想要曝光率的犹太人 |
[46:26] | Well now, Herr Weyland, I didn’t quite say all that. | 现在 威兰德先生 我可没这么说 |
[46:31] | You are standing in the German national people’s party | 你站在德国国家人民党总部 |
[46:34] | headquarters, Dr. Lenard, we aren’t afraid | 勒纳博士 我们在这里并不害怕 |
[46:38] | to speak the truth here. | 说真相 |
[46:40] | In fact, I imagine my candor is the very reason | 实际上 我觉得你正是因为 |
[46:42] | you’ve come to see me. | 我的坦率来见我的吧 |
[46:46] | Now, please, what can I do for you? | 我能为你做些什么 |
[46:51] | I have a proposition to make, | 我有一个提议 |
[46:53] | but one with which I cannot afford to be publicly associated. | 但我不能公开和这个提议扯上任何关系 |
[46:57] | You can be assured of my discretion. | 你尽管放心 我会守口如瓶的 |
[47:00] | I read your paper denouncing relativity. | 我读过你谴责相对论的论文 |
[47:04] | I think you deserve a wider audience. | 我觉得你应该被更多人注意到 |
[47:07] | Albert Einstein has engaged in a profit-grubbing | 在我们国家遭受侵略和羞辱时 |
[47:11] | promotion of his theory, | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦却在 |
[47:13] | as our country suffers deprivation and indignity. | 宣传他的理论谋取利益 |
[47:17] | And for what? | 为了什么呢 |
[47:20] | For a lie, for a hoax. | 为了一个谎言 一场骗局 |
[47:24] | For a deception unlike any other. | 一次前所未有的欺诈 |
[47:27] | Over the next two days, | 明后天 |
[47:30] | you will hear from Germany’s most preeminent scholars, | 会有德国最杰出的学者联系你 |
[47:32] | who will show you exactly | 他们会向你展示 |
[47:34] | how we’ve all been hoodwinked by one enormous bluff. | 我们到底是怎么被他的虚张声势唬住的 |
[47:37] | Hear, hear! | 说得对 |
[47:43] | Oh, apologies. | 很抱歉 |
[47:44] | Continue, Dr. Weyland. | 请继续 威兰德博士 |
[47:45] | We all eagerly await your scholarly proof. | 我们都翘首以盼你的学术论证 |
[47:48] | I’m sure it will be very interesting. | 一定很有趣 |
[47:50] | What in God’s name were you thinking?! | 你到底在想什么 |
[47:52] | It was a public lecture and I was curious, | 这是个公开课 我也很好奇 |
[47:54] | so I went. | 所以我就去了 |
[47:55] | I admit I didn’t expect much, but I also didn’t expect it | 我承认我没什么期待 但我也没想到 |
[47:57] | to be a packed house of anti-Semitic imbeciles. | 会是满屋子反犹太人的笨蛋 |
[48:03] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么 |
[48:04] | Writing to the Berliner Tageblatt | 给柏林日报写 |
[48:05] | to give my honest critique. | 我中肯的评价 |
[48:07] | Albert, stop. | 阿尔伯特 别闹了 |
[48:09] | You are sticking your hand into a hornet’s nest. | 你这是往枪口上撞 |
[48:11] | These men are vindictive and dangerous. | 这些人睚眦必报 很危险 |
[48:14] | This world is dangerous, Elsa, | 这个世界太危险了 爱尔莎 |
[48:16] | not because of those who do evil, | 并不是因为那些作恶多端的人 |
[48:17] | but because of those who look on and do nothing. | 而是因为那些无所作为的看客 |
[48:21] | I cannot do nothing. | 我没法什么都不做 |
[48:22] | “I admire Lenard as a master of experimental physics. | 我很敬仰勒纳 因为他是实验物理的大师 |
[48:26] | But he has not yet produced anything outstanding | 但他在理论物理中 |
[48:28] | in theoretical physics.” | 没有任何杰出贡献 |
[48:30] | He wrote that? | 他写的吗 |
[48:32] | On the front of the damn newspaper! | 在该死的报纸头版 |
[48:36] | Jewish publishers, of course. | 当然是犹太人的报纸了 |
[48:38] | “Lenard’s objections to the general theory of relativity | 勒纳对广义相对论的反对 |
[48:42] | are of such superficiality that, up until now, | 太过浮浅 以至于至今 |
[48:45] | I did not think it necessary to answer them. | 我都觉得没有任何回应的必要 |
[48:48] | I intend to make up for this.” | 而我现在想要回复他 |
[48:54] | It’s an affront! | 这是对我的羞辱 |
[48:57] | I will not stand for it! | 我不会默不作声的 |
[48:58] | Why would he assume that you had anything to do | 他为什么会觉得你跟那些讲座 |
[49:00] | with that lecture series? | 有任何关系 |
[49:01] | You did not even attend! | 你都没有参加 |
[49:04] | That huckster Weyland listed me | 威兰德大吹大擂地把我列为 |
[49:07] | as a coming lecturer in the program. | 项目中讲师 |
[49:09] | No doubt trying to add my prestige to his cause. | 无意是想借用我的声望替他宣传 |
[49:16] | But it doesn’t matter, | 但这都无所谓了 |
[49:18] | Einstein obviously desires a public battle, | 爱因斯坦显然想要一场公开的战斗 |
[49:24] | perhaps it’s time I enlisted some public allies. | 或许是时候我召集几位同盟了 |
[49:27] | 德国国家社会主义工人党 |