时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:08] | 《我的战争》 | |
[00:26] | 天才 | |
[00:37] | 76-year-old male. | 男性 76岁 |
[00:39] | Cause of death, internal bleeding | 死因为内出血 |
[00:42] | resulting from rupture of pre-existing abdominal aortic aneurysm. | 由腹主动脉瘤破裂导致的 |
[00:47] | Physiology otherwise unremarkable. | 生理机能无异常 |
[00:56] | 新泽西州 普林斯顿 1955年 | |
[01:33] | Brain, 1,230 grams. | 大脑重1230克 |
[01:37] | Normal. | 正常 |
[01:40] | Are you mad? | 你疯了吗 |
[01:42] | My father’s wish is to be cremated. | 我父亲的遗愿是火葬 |
[01:45] | And he will be. | 我们会将他火葬的 |
[01:45] | All of him. | 一丝不少 |
[01:47] | Dr. Einstein, | 爱因斯坦博士 |
[01:49] | this is one of the most astonishing objects in the universe. | 这是全世界最令人惊叹的物体之一 |
[01:54] | Studying it could unlock the mystery of genius. | 对这个大脑的研究或许能解开天才之谜 |
[01:58] | Now, you are a man of science. | 你是个科学家 |
[02:02] | He was a man of science. | 他也曾是个科学家 |
[02:05] | In the end, doesn’t his brain belong to science, too? | 这么说来 他的大脑不也应该属于科学吗 |
[02:11] | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 1230克 1955年4月18日 | |
[02:11] | *Happy birthday dear Albert!* | *亲爱的阿尔伯特生日快乐* |
[02:15] | *Happy birthday to you!* | *祝你生日快乐* |
[02:16] | 新泽西州 普林斯顿 8年前 | |
[02:25] | Speech, speech! | 发表下感言 |
[02:27] | No, no. | 不了 |
[02:30] | Yes, well | 好吧 |
[02:32] | the person most bored to tears by my babbling is me. | 我最受不了我自己长篇大论的了 |
[02:36] | So I shall politely refrain and thank you all for coming. | 所以我还是克制一下 感谢大家赏脸前来 |
[02:40] | Thank you, thank you. | 谢谢你们 |
[02:44] | I seem to have stumbled onto the wrong gathering. | 我可能去错集会了 |
[02:47] | I was meant to attend a birthday party, not a funeral. | 我要去的是生日派对 不是葬礼 |
[02:50] | Did you see what Halpern’s wife asked me to sign? | 你看到哈尔彭的妻子让我签了什么吗 |
[02:52] | That? | 那个 |
[02:53] | It’s from last year. | 那都是去年的了 |
[02:54] | So what? | 又如何 |
[02:55] | It’s my face on the cover of time magazine | 是我站在一朵蘑菇云前面 |
[02:57] | in front of a mushroom cloud. | 被《时代》周刊拿来做了封面 |
[03:01] | It’s a wonderful likeness. | 那只是个肖像 |
[03:03] | You’re the one who actually built the damn thing, | 你才是制造出那玩意的人 |
[03:05] | but still everyone blames me. | 但大家还是怪我 |
[03:08] | Albert, we have quite a surprise in store for you. | 阿尔伯特 我们为你准备了一个惊喜 |
[03:11] | The only gift I want from you, Niels, | 尼尔斯 我想要的唯一礼物 |
[03:13] | is an admission that quantum mechanics is incomplete. | 就是你承认量子力学理论还不完整 |
[03:16] | What fun would that be? | 那有什么意思 |
[03:17] | Yes, well, we would have to find some other excuse | 那我们就得为我们的争吵 |
[03:20] | for our squabbles. | 找点别的借口 |
[03:21] | But the current situation is absurd. | 但现在这样太荒谬了 |
[03:23] | Reality cannot be described by two theories which do not agree. | 两个互相矛盾的理论无法用来解释世界 |
[03:27] | Unified field theory is not the answer, though, Albert. | 但统一场论也不行 阿尔伯特 |
[03:30] | It will be the final chapter in physics. | 那就是物理学的终章 |
[03:32] | You’ll see. | 等着瞧 |
[03:34] | I will solve it before I die. | 我死前肯定会解决这个问题 |
[03:36] | Die? No, you’ll never die. | 死 不 你不会死的 |
[03:39] | You’ll be chiding post-grads long | 就算太阳燃烧到了尽头 |
[03:41] | after the sun has burned itself out. | 你还会继续教育那些大学生们 |
[03:43] | And besides, it’s bad luck to be so morbid on one’s own birthday. | 而且 在生日说这些可不吉利 |
[03:47] | I’ve been trying to tell him that. | 我早就想说了 |
[03:50] | Birthdays cause a man to reflect on | 生日会让人反省 |
[03:53] | what little he has accomplished. | 他这一生是多么毫无成就 |
[03:55] | You’ve achieved more than almost anyone human in history. | 你比历史上绝大部分人取得的成就都多 |
[04:00] | And yet if I died tomorrow, | 如果我明天就死了 |
[04:01] | I would be remembered as the man | 大家都会把我当做 |
[04:02] | who ushered in the nuclear age. | 打开了核时代的人来铭记 |
[04:04] | Be happy with what you have accomplished Albert. | 阿尔伯特 你就知足吧 |
[04:06] | It’s quite a lot. | 已经够多了 |
[04:09] | What are you looking for? | 你在找什么 |
[04:11] | My good name, it seems to have gone missing. | 我的好名声 它好像失踪了 |
[04:15] | I’m forming a council, Oppie. | 我在组织一个委员会 小奥 |
[04:17] | The emergency committee of atomic scientists. | 原子科学家紧急委员会 |
[04:19] | Albert, you have guests. | 阿尔伯特 还有很多客人在等你 |
[04:22] | Go enjoy yourself. | 去好好享受吧 |
[04:23] | If my legacy is to be tied to the atomic bomb, | 如果我的遗产要跟原子弹扯上关系 |
[04:26] | it will be for preventing its use. | 那也是避免使用原子弹 |
[04:28] | And I need you to join me. | 我希望你能加入 |
[04:29] | I’m running the institute now, | 我是研究所的负责人 |
[04:31] | I can’t get involved in politics. | 不能跟政治扯上关系 |
[04:32] | What are you so worried about? | 你在担心什么 |
[04:33] | The wrath of university administrators? | 大学管理层的愤怒吗 |
[04:37] | I’m worried about Hoover. | 我担心的是胡佛 |
[04:39] | He probably knows what color socks I’m wearing right now. | 他可能都知道我现在穿的袜子是什么颜色 |
[04:41] | It’s not safe for me. | 那样对我来说不安全 |
[04:43] | You, don’t be ridiculous. | 你不安全 别傻了 |
[04:47] | It’s not safe for you either, Albert. | 对你也不安全 阿尔伯特 |
[04:49] | Trust me. | 相信我 |
[04:54] | There you are. | 找到了 |
[04:58] | You are not to be smoking. | 不能抽烟 |
[05:00] | Isn’t this the one day I should be allowed to smoke? | 我生日都不能让我抽烟吗 |
[05:03] | Come, your grandchildren want to wish you a happy birthday. | 来 孙儿孙女们要向你祝贺 |
[05:11] | Papa. | 爸 |
[05:14] | Are you enjoying my party, Evelyn? | 玩得开心吗 伊弗林 |
[05:15] | Yes, grandpa. | 开心 爷爷 |
[05:16] | I’m pleased. | 那就好 |
[05:18] | Bernhard has some news he’d like to share with you. | 伯纳德有话想跟你说 |
[05:22] | – Yes, well. – Professor Einstein. | -是的 -爱因斯坦教授 |
[05:24] | Professor, please everybody, | 教授 大家都看过来 |
[05:29] | our young prodigy David Bohm | 小神童大卫·玻姆 |
[05:32] | has helped assemble this high-fidelity radio. | 帮忙组装了这个高保真无线电 |
[05:40] | We all thought it was time to drag you | 我们认为应该由您来 |
[05:42] | kicking and screaming into the modern era. | 呼唤新纪元 |
[05:44] | Many of us here today are the beneficiaries of your generosity. | 这里的许多人都得到了您的慷慨馈赠 |
[05:47] | Some of us like Dr Oppenheimer are colleagues | 一些人是同事 比如奥本海默博士 |
[05:50] | who sharpen our minds, coming up against yours. | 锻炼我们的大脑 准备跟你抗衡 |
[05:53] | Others are former students whom you’ve treated | 其他的是你以前的学生 |
[05:55] | with the patience and selflessness of a father. | 你曾如父亲般耐心无私地对待他们 |
[06:00] | But all have blossomed for traveling in his sphere. | 但都因遇到你而在各自的领域里取得了成功 |
[06:02] | I told you this was a ridiculous idea. | 我都说了这是个不切实际的想法 |
[06:05] | He isn’t coming. | 他不会来的 |
[06:06] | The weather has delayed the trains. | 天气原因导致火车延误了 |
[06:07] | 苏黎世 1921年 | |
[06:07] | He may come yet. | 他可能已经来了 |
[06:09] | Eduard was the one who wanted to go | 想逛阿尔卑斯山脉的 |
[06:11] | traipsing through the alps. | 是爱德华 |
[06:13] | And now he’s terribly sick. | 现在他病得很严重 |
[06:15] | Would you like to trade places with him? | 你想跟他换换吗 |
[06:18] | Your father has wanted a holiday with you | 你爸一直以来都想跟你 |
[06:21] | for quite some time. | 一起度个假 |
[06:23] | You owe him at least that. | 你至少欠他一个假期 |
[06:25] | Why do you make excuses for him? | 你为什么给他找借口 |
[06:26] | Because we all make excuses for ourselves. | 因为我们都为自己找借口 |
[06:30] | And we should be good enough to make them for others. | 我们也应该行行好给别人找借口 |
[06:33] | People are complex. | 人是复杂的动物 |
[06:40] | So you’re going to tell him, then? | 你要告诉他吗 |
[06:44] | 书:高等数学 信封:苏黎世联邦理工学院 | |
[06:46] | I don’t know. | 我没想好 |
[06:47] | Well, it would be one thing you both have in common. | 那会是你们两个的共同之处 |
[06:52] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[06:54] | – Let’s take a look at this… – Come on, we’re going. | -咱们来看看这个东西 -咱们走 |
[06:56] | But grandpa’s present? | 但是给爷爷的礼物怎么办 |
[06:57] | Leave it. | 放那别管了 |
[07:25] | A few more items before you retire. | 你退休之前还有几件事情 |
[07:28] | The Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studio is asking for your approval | 米高梅工作室请您批准 |
[07:31] | for the script they sent. | 他们送来的剧本 |
[07:33] | Is it still a movie about the making of the atomic bomb? | 还是关于制作原子弹的吗 |
[07:36] | It is. | 是的 |
[07:37] | Then I do not approve. | 那我就不批 |
[07:40] | There are a number of speaking invitations, | 有很多演讲的邀请函 |
[07:42] | Harvard, Cornell, the University of Chicago. | 哈佛大学 康奈尔大学 芝加哥大学 |
[07:45] | I’ve decide to accept only one, Lincoln University. | 我已经决定只接受一场了 林肯大学的 |
[07:53] | Do you have an opinion on this matter? | 你对此有什么意见吗 |
[07:57] | Of course not. | 当然没有 |
[07:59] | You never do. | 你从来都没意见 |
[08:06] | The sun’s gravitational pull is sufficient | 太阳的万有引力强大到 |
[08:10] | to bend light itself. | 足以自己弯曲光线 |
[08:13] | And bend light it does. | 并弯曲自己的光线 |
[08:16] | That is how I finally found proof of | 我就是这样最终发现 |
[08:18] | the theory of general relativity. | 广义相对论的证据的 |
[08:20] | Most scientists thought I was mad. | 大多数科学家都认为我疯了 |
[08:24] | Funny, isn’t it, how progress can provoke | 有意思吧 进步竟然激起 |
[08:27] | such an emotional response? | 如此过激的反应 |
[08:30] | Though of course this idea isn’t foreign to most of you. | 当然对你们大部分人来说这个概念并不陌生 |
[08:34] | Many believe that young men such as yourselves do not deserve | 许多人认为像你们这样的年轻人 |
[08:35] | 林肯大学 宾夕法尼亚州 切斯特县 | |
[08:37] | the same opportunities as everyone else. | 不配和大家享有同等的机会 |
[08:40] | All because of the color of your skin. | 一切都是因为你们的肤色 |
[08:43] | How absurd. | 太荒唐了 |
[08:46] | But what do I know of it? | 但我又是怎么知道的呢 |
[08:46] | After all, look at me. | 毕竟 看看我 |
[08:48] | I am an old white jew with crazy hair. | 我是一个发型像个大疯子的犹太白老头 |
[08:53] | But I too have been disparaged for how I look, for my heritage. | 但我也曾因我的长相 血统而被区别对待过 |
[08:59] | We all share the same decent humanity, | 我们都有同样体面的人性 |
[09:03] | the same curiosity, hopes, dreams. | 同样的好奇心 希望 梦想 |
[09:09] | The same God. | 同样的上帝 |
[09:11] | He consorts with dangerous types. | 他结交危险人士 |
[09:13] | Communists, negroes, anarchists. | 共产党员 黑人 无政府主义者 |
[09:15] | I have to say, sir | 长官 我不得不说 |
[09:16] | I’m surprised Einstein is the target of an investigation. | 我很惊讶爱因斯坦成为被调查的对象 |
[09:21] | Einstein’s office is already bugged. | 爱因斯坦的办公室已经被监听了 |
[09:23] | 美国联邦调查局总部 华盛顿特区 1947年 | |
[09:24] | But I’ve decided to inject new blood into the case. | 但我已决定要往这个案子里注入新鲜的血液 |
[09:27] | That’s why you’re here. | 这就是叫你来的原因 |
[09:32] | 机密 | |
[09:33] | This could be a rewarding stepping stone for you, McKee. | 这可是能让你加官进爵的垫脚石 麦基 |
[09:36] | You’ll be on the front lines of the next war. | 你将是下一场战争的主力军 |
[09:40] | War, sir? | 战争 长官 |
[09:41] | Communism is an existential threat to our great republic | 共产主义是我们伟大的共和国现存的一个威胁 |
[09:44] | and Einstein is on the side of the enemy. | 而爱因斯坦就站在敌人的一方 |
[09:47] | Find what I need to put this son of a bitch in jail, | 查出能让我把这个狗娘养的关进监狱的证据 |
[09:54] | or | 或者 |
[09:56] | 机密 | |
[09:57] | at least send him on a one-way trip back to Germany. | 至少也要给他一张回德国的单程票 |
[10:04] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[10:14] | Is it worth it, Edgar? | 埃德加 这样值得吗 |
[10:16] | Going after the worlds most famous scientist? | 对世界上最着名的科学家下手 |
[10:26] | Einstein humiliated me. | 爱因斯坦侮辱了我 |
[10:29] | I could have lost my job. | 我差点就丢了工作 |
[10:30] | I almost did lose my reputation. | 我的名声几乎毁于一旦 |
[10:33] | What is it that the scientist say? | 那个科学家说什么来着 |
[10:37] | For each action, | 每一个动作 |
[10:39] | an equal and opposite reaction… | 都有均等且方向相反的两个力 |
[10:52] | Nuclear weapons are the obstacle to world peace, | 核武器是世界和平的阻碍 |
[10:55] | not its solution. | 而不是通往和平的路 |
[10:56] | But they exist. | 但它们仍然存在 |
[10:58] | Well, I think the best way to ensure they are never used is | 我认为 保证永不使用核武器的最好的办法 |
[10:58] | 原子弹科学家紧急委员会 | |
[11:01] | to give control of them to the scientists who made them. | 就是将控制权给发明创造它的科学家 |
[11:04] | Not the american military. | 而不能给美国军队 |
[11:05] | You think the red army is going to leave the bomb | 你觉得红军会把原子弹 |
[11:07] | to their scientists? | 交给他们的科学家吗 |
[11:08] | Harold’s right. | 哈罗德说得对 |
[11:09] | The soviets are mad. | 苏联就是个疯子 |
[11:10] | Which is why we must push for containment. | 这就是我们必须努力遏止的原因 |
[11:11] | That is a fantasy. | 那太不切实际了 |
[11:13] | Exactly, the U.S. and the Soviets will continue | 说得对 美国和苏联会继续 |
[11:16] | to build their nuclear stockpiles. | 扩大自己的核储备量 |
[11:19] | And perhaps they should. | 也许他们应该这样 |
[11:22] | What the hell are you talking about, Leo? | 李奥 你说什么呢 |
[11:24] | Are you crazy? | 你疯了吗 |
[11:24] | Perhaps what will ultimately save us | 或许最终能拯救我们的 |
[11:27] | is two superpowers with the ability to completely destroy one another. | 是两个足以毁灭彼此的超级力量了 |
[11:34] | Atomic use leads to atomic retaliation | 使用原子武器导致别人用原子武器来报复 |
[11:36] | and that retaliation leads to more retaliation | 而这种报复又导致更多的报复 |
[11:39] | and we end up at reciprocal annihilation. | 我们终将彼此毁灭 |
[11:43] | Which is why neither side will ever dare using even one weapon. | 这也是双方都不敢动用这种武器的原因 |
[11:48] | I cannot believe my ears. | 简直不敢相信 |
[11:50] | I’m sorry, Leo, but I cannot. | 对不起 里奥 但我不能 |
[11:53] | That is lunacy. | 这太疯狂了 |
[11:55] | Whether by accident, or idiocy, or the will of a tyrant, | 不论是碰巧 还是愚蠢 还是暴君的意志 |
[11:58] | these weapons will be used. | 这些武器都会投入使用 |
[12:01] | And when they are, not even God can help us. | 一旦使用 上帝都帮不了我们了 |
[12:04] | What is it you suggest, Albert? | 那你有什么提议 阿尔伯特 |
[12:08] | A world government. | 一个世界性的政府 |
[12:11] | It would sit on top of all existing nations and, | 凌驾于所有国家之上 |
[12:14] | as an adjudicator in all disputes, would make world wars | 裁决一切争端 让世界大战 |
[12:19] | a thing of history. | 成为历史 |
[12:20] | No nation would give up its sovereignty. | 没有国家会放弃主权 |
[12:22] | We’re dealing with a threat to the basic existence of humanity. | 我们面临的是对人类生存的威胁 |
[12:28] | In my own work, I find that when faced with an audacious problem, | 以我的经验 我发现对于复杂的问题 |
[12:33] | an audacious solution is usually the answer. | 常常要用复杂的解决方法 |
[12:37] | So let’s put our prodigious heads together | 所以我们一起集思广益 |
[12:39] | and see what we can come up with. | 看看能想出什么办法 |
[12:54] | Professor Bohm to see you? | 波姆教授来找你 |
[12:55] | Of course. | 当然 |
[12:58] | David! Come in. | 大卫 进来 |
[13:01] | I just read your paper. | 我刚读了你的论文 |
[13:03] | It’s remarkable. | 太出色了 |
[13:04] | Hopefully it will give you some ammunition to fire back | 希望你能从中找到一些用来对付 |
[13:07] | at the quantum contingent. | 量子学派的论点 |
[13:08] | It does, and it came at just the right moment. | 的确 而且时机正好 |
[13:10] | 大卫·波姆 | |
[13:11] | I’ve been stalled on unified field theory for months. | 我卡在统一场论上面好几个月了 |
[13:13] | 大卫·波姆 | |
[13:15] | So you’ll recall the idea of ‘hidden variables’ from my paper. | 回忆一下我的论文里”隐藏变量”的定义 |
[13:19] | If we can assume both a quantum particle, for example, | 我们假设两个粒子 比如一个量子颗粒 |
[13:23] | an electron, and a ‘guiding wave’ that governs its motion. | 一个电子 和一个”引导波”控制它的运动 |
[13:30] | He’s not at the office either. | 他也不在办公室 |
[13:33] | I’ve been admitted to Zurich Polytechnic | 我已经被苏黎世联邦理工录取 |
[13:38] | I’ll be following in your footsteps. | 我会跟随你的脚步 |
[13:41] | This is wonderful. | 太好了 |
[13:45] | This will be an extra-ordinary adventure. | 这会是一场非比寻常的探险 |
[13:50] | Engineering? But why? | 工程学 为什么 |
[13:54] | Engineering is the future, Papa. | 工程学未来前景好 爸 |
[13:57] | No. You’ve been sold a story. | 不 只是有人给你灌输这种思想 |
[14:02] | It isn’t science. | 那不是科学 |
[14:04] | It’s tinkering. | 太小儿科了 |
[14:06] | Tinkering? | 小儿科 |
[14:07] | Hans, trust me. This is beneath you. | 汉斯 相信我 这对你来说太屈才了 |
[14:10] | You have a gift. You’ve always excelled in science. | 你有天赋 你在科学上一直很有造诣 |
[14:14] | Target your ambitions, and then aim higher. | 志存高远 然后把眼光放长远 |
[14:16] | Engineering is my ambition. | 工程学就是我的志向 |
[14:18] | It isn’t science, Hans. | 那不是科学 汉斯 |
[14:21] | I don’t want you to give up on science like your mother did. | 我不希望你像你妈妈一样放弃科学 |
[14:24] | Give up? She sacrificed herself for all of us. | 放弃 她为了我们所有人牺牲了她自己 |
[14:28] | For you, most of all. | 主要是为了你 |
[14:30] | She’s no martyr, Hans. She made her own choices. | 她不是牺牲者 汉斯 她自己做了选择 |
[14:33] | Don’t squander your talents like she did. | 不要像她一样浪费你的天赋 |
[14:37] | There are nobler pursuits for a brain like yours. | 你这样的头脑应该有更高尚的追求 |
[14:41] | No, you mean a brain like yours, Papa. | 不 你是说像你这样的头脑 爸爸 |
[14:43] | I want to do something different. | 我想做不一样的事 |
[14:54] | Ah. It’s days like today, Helen, | 海伦 像今天这种日子 |
[14:55] | that I’m reminded that science is primitive and childlike. | 提醒了我科学是单纯的 是孩子气的 |
[15:00] | Thank God for that. | 感谢上苍 |
[15:04] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[15:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[15:39] | I’m sorry for your loss, my boy. | 孩子 对你失去亲人我深表哀悼 |
[15:42] | “My loss,” | “我失去亲人” |
[15:47] | that’s an interesting way to put it. | 这话说的真有意思 |
[15:55] | Tell me, what were you doing earlier, before I arrived? | 告诉我 我来之前你在干什么 |
[15:59] | I was working. | 我在工作 |
[16:01] | And yesterday when I couldn’t reach you? | 昨天我找不到你的时候呢 |
[16:05] | I was at the office. | 我在办公室 |
[16:06] | No, I called your office. | 不 我给你办公室打了电话 |
[16:08] | There was no answer. | 没人接 |
[16:09] | There are moments when I get absorbed in what I’m doing, Hans. | 我常常会沉浸在我的工作中 汉斯 |
[16:12] | You know that. | 你知道的 |
[16:13] | Yes, I certainly do. | 没错 我当然知道 |
[16:19] | But I have always hoped that once, just once in my life, | 但我总是期盼着 总有那么一次 就一次 |
[16:25] | you’d be absorbed with your family instead of your work. | 你会沉浸在家庭中 而不是工作 |
[16:32] | But we’re just a burden to you. | 但我们对你来说只是负担 |
[16:35] | That’s not fair, Hans. | 汉斯 不是这样的 |
[16:36] | Isn’t it? | 不是吗 |
[16:37] | I think you’re relieved she’s dead. | 我倒是觉得你很庆幸她死了 |
[16:40] | How could you say such a thing? | 你怎么能说这种话 |
[16:42] | You’ll never again have to worry about her money problems | 你再也不用担心钱的问题 |
[16:45] | or feel guilt for what became of her. | 也不用对她的状况感到内疚了 |
[16:48] | I thought we put aside this bitterness years ago. | 我以为我们多年前就摒弃前嫌了 |
[16:52] | That is because you are completely oblivious to the feelings | 爸 那是因为你完全无视 |
[16:54] | of those closest to you, papa. | 跟你最亲近的人的感受 |
[17:00] | You are so kind to so many people. | 你对很多人都很和蔼 |
[17:05] | But you’ve been so cruel to your own family. | 但你对你的家人却很残忍 |
[17:15] | I’ve accepted a teaching position at Berkeley. | 我接受了伯克利大学给的教职 |
[17:19] | We won’t have to see each other again. | 我们不会再相见了 |
[17:21] | Hans, wait, don’t leave like this. | 汉斯 等等 别就这么离开 |
[17:25] | Not today. | 今天别这样 |
[17:27] | You treated her miserably, and you should be ashamed. | 你对她这么刻薄 你应该觉得羞愧 |
[17:32] | I’m only angry with myself for taking this long | 我气我自己这么久以来 |
[17:34] | to say that to your face. | 都没有当面告诉你 |
[17:40] | Don’t contact me, papa, | 别联系我 爸爸 |
[17:46] | ever. | 永远别 |
[17:59] | The neutron itself was discovered by Chadwick, an Englishman. | 中子是查德威克发现的 英国人 |
[18:01] | 《原子弹秘密》 1947年上映 | |
[18:03] | The cyclotron by Lawrence, an American. | 粒子加速器是劳伦斯发明的 美国人 |
[18:06] | The splitting of uranium was detected by Hans, a German. | 铀裂变是汉斯发现的 德国人 |
[18:11] | Don’t blame it all on me. | 别都算在我头上 |
[18:14] | Would it be possible for you to go and see | 你会不会亲自去会见 |
[18:16] | President Roosevelt yourself? | 罗斯福总统 |
[18:19] | But I’ve a cold. | 我感冒了 |
[18:21] | And besides I do not know Mr. Roosevelt very well. | 而且我和罗斯福先生也不太熟 |
[18:26] | I’m sure the president knows you, sir. | 总统可是很了解你 先生 |
[18:29] | It would be more polite if I just write him a letter. | 给他写封信更礼貌一些 |
[18:34] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你 先生 |
[18:36] | The acting was abominable, | 演技烂透了 |
[18:38] | the science completely wrong. | 科学原理也错的一塌糊涂 |
[18:40] | And I don’t really talk like that, do I? | 而且我才不会那样说话 对吧 |
[18:44] | Well, at least they implemented some of the changes you proposed. | 至少他们根据你的提议做出了一些改变 |
[18:47] | Well, to my mind it certainly didn’t improve. | 我觉得根本没有改善 |
[18:52] | Professor? | 教授 |
[18:56] | Your pain is likely due to an aneurysm of the aorta. | 疼痛是主动脉瘤造成的 |
[19:00] | Basically a small bulge in the artery. | 就是动脉里的一个凸起 |
[19:02] | Is it serious? | 严重吗 |
[19:04] | Not if he doesn’t smoke, cuts out the sweets, | 只要他不吸烟 不吃甜食 |
[19:06] | and avoids strenuous activity. | 避免剧烈运动就没事 |
[19:07] | That does include sexual congress, Dr. Einstein. | 包括性行为 爱因斯坦博士 |
[19:10] | I see, to live long, I must forego anything worth living for. | 懂了 为了保命 我得放弃一切乐趣 |
[19:21] | 新泽西州 普林斯顿 1950年 | |
[19:23] | David, where is everybody? | 大卫 人都去哪了 |
[19:25] | They’re terrified, Albert. | 他们很害怕 阿尔伯特 |
[19:27] | Of what? | 害怕什么 |
[19:28] | This, it’s a subpoena. | 这个 法院传票 |
[19:34] | 美国国会 | |
[19:35] | The un-American activities committee. | 非美式行为委员会 |
[19:38] | What could be more un-American than an inquisition? | 还有什么比庭审更非美式的呢 |
[19:44] | I’m scared, Albert. | 我很害怕 阿尔伯特 |
[19:46] | You’ll be all right, David. | 没事的 大卫 |
[19:48] | You have the first amendment in this country. | 在这个国家 有宪法第一修正案保护你 |
[19:51] | Stand up, tell the truth. | 站出来 说出真相 |
[19:53] | Say yes, I was a communist. | 承认你曾是个共产党员 |
[19:54] | It is not illegal to have been one. | 以前是又不犯法 |
[20:00] | And then what? | 然后呢 |
[20:02] | I won’t be able to get a job. | 我会找不到工作的 |
[20:05] | I’ll be ruined. | 我就废了 |
[20:07] | They cannot force you to speak. | 他们不能逼你自证其罪 |
[20:10] | Mr. Bohm, are you now or have you ever been | 玻姆先生 你现在 或者曾经 |
[20:14] | a member of the communist party? | 是否是一名共产党员 |
[20:22] | On the… | 根据 |
[20:27] | On the advice of counsel, | 根据法律顾问的建议 |
[20:30] | I invoke my right under the fifth amendment not to answer, | 我要行使宪法第五修正案的拒答权 |
[20:33] | on the grounds I may incriminate myself. | 因为我或将自证有罪 |
[20:37] | Order, order! | 肃静 肃静 |
[20:41] | How could those bastards suspend a man for | 这帮混蛋怎么可以因为他参加了一些集会 |
[20:43] | attending a few meetings? | 就将他停职 |
[20:45] | You know it’s out of my hands. | 你知道这事我管不了的 |
[20:46] | I’ll offer to pay his salary. | 我可以给他发工资 |
[20:48] | He can be my personal assistant. | 他可以来当我的私人助手 |
[20:49] | Albert, if David Bohm steps foot on the | 阿尔伯特 一旦大卫·玻姆 |
[20:52] | institute’s grounds, he will be arrested for trespassing. | 踏进学校 他就会因非法入侵而被捕 |
[20:55] | And you and I will soonner after | 然后我们俩马上也得 |
[20:57] | be polishing our resumes. | 去找新工作了 |
[20:59] | The United States government sees Bohm as a threat. | 美国政府视玻姆为威胁 |
[21:03] | And no matter what its flaws, | 无论这个国家多么不完美 |
[21:07] | I still believe a man must put his country first. | 我仍然坚信 人要把自己的国家放在首位 |
[21:11] | You are a coward. | 你是个懦夫 |
[21:12] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[21:12] | This is a man’s life. | 这事关人的一生 |
[21:15] | If we sit on our hands, they’ll come after us next. | 如果我们坐视不理 他们接下来就会整我们 |
[21:18] | They want to intimidate us into silence. | 他们想逼着我们禁言 |
[21:20] | That way we become easier prey. | 那样我们就成了小羔羊 |
[21:23] | Don’t do anything rash, Albert. | 别冲动行事 阿尔伯特 |
[21:24] | Don’t worry, whatever I do will be quite deliberate. | 别担心 我做的事一定是经过精心计划的 |
[21:29] | You think it’s foolish, I know. | 你觉得这样很傻 我知道 |
[21:31] | Yet again I’m inviting controversy. | 但我欢迎不同见解 |
[21:33] | So why not say it? | 你就直说吧 |
[21:34] | Just this once? | 就这一次 |
[21:38] | You truly are a sphinx, Helen. | 你真是难琢磨 海伦 |
[21:40] | Elsa had opinions, advice. | 爱尔莎都有自己的观点 建议 |
[21:41] | Elsa had strategy. | 爱尔莎有策略 |
[21:43] | I am not Elsa. | 我不是爱尔莎 |
[21:44] | No, you certainly are not. | 对 你当然不是 |
[21:46] | The only thing you show enthusiasm for | 你唯一有兴趣的事 |
[21:48] | is keeping my pipe from me. | 就是把我的烟斗藏起来 |
[21:51] | You haven’t seen it, have you? | 你没见过 对吧 |
[21:53] | Hello and welcome. | 大家好 |
[21:55] | I’m Eleanor Roosevelt. | 我是埃莉诺·罗斯福 |
[21:58] | On today’s program, I’ll present a special segment from renowned | 今天的节目将为大家带来着名物理学家 |
[22:02] | physicist Albert Einstein. | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦的特辑 |
[22:06] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[22:08] | The arms race between the united states and the Soviet Union | 美苏两国之间的军备竞赛 |
[22:14] | has assumed hysterical proportions. | 已经达到了歇斯底里的地步 |
[22:17] | On both sides, means of mass destruction are being perfected | 这两国都在以疯狂的速度不断改良 |
[22:21] | with feverish haste | 大规模杀伤性武器 |
[22:24] | and behind walls of secrecy. | 而且还秘而不宣 |
[22:28] | And now the production of the hydrogen bomb | 现如今 氢弹的研发 |
[22:30] | will be accomplished. | 也快成功了 |
[22:32] | If these efforts prove successful, | 如果这些武器试验成功 |
[22:35] | annihilation of all life on earth will have been brought | 地球上所有生命将有可能 |
[22:39] | within the range of what is possible. | 集体灭绝 |
[22:42] | Outside the United States, we establish military bases. | 在美国境外 我们建立军事基地 |
[22:46] | Inside the United States, | 在美国境内 |
[22:50] | inside the United States, the loyalty of citizens | 在美国境内 公民的忠诚度 |
[22:54] | is carefully supervised by a police force | 被日益增强警方 |
[22:57] | growing more powerful every day. | 牢牢地监控着 |
[23:02] | People of independent thought are being harassed. | 思想独立的人受到骚扰 |
[23:05] | The public is indoctrinated. | 公众被强行灌输思想 |
[23:09] | Get me McKee. | 让麦基来见我 |
[23:18] | With one television interview, he humiliated the bureau. | 他的这次电视采访令当局颜面扫地 |
[23:25] | We must move on him before he does more damage. | 我们必须在他造成更大危害前弄走他 |
[23:29] | I’m doing all I can, sir. | 我正在尽我所能 先生 |
[23:31] | Do more. | 还不够 |
[23:32] | Search his mail, tap his home phone, | 搜索他的邮件 监听他家的电话 |
[23:32] | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦教授 | |
[23:35] | follow his acquaintances. | 跟踪他的朋友 |
[23:36] | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 | |
[23:37] | You have discretion to do whatever it takes. | 你有权利动用一切手段 |
[23:42] | I’m just wondering what evidence persuaded a judge to | 我只是好奇是什么证据能够说服一名法官 |
[23:44] | sign a warrant for such an extensive operation. | 签下了范围如此广的行动的许可令 |
[23:48] | We cannot wait on the slow wheels of justice. | 我们可不能坐等缓慢的正义 |
[23:51] | I’m not sure I understand, sir. | 我好像不太明白 先生 |
[23:53] | Look at Bohm. | 玻姆就是个例子 |
[23:55] | Nobody would hire him after his hearing and now he’s in Rio | 听证会后没人聘用他 结果他现在 |
[23:59] | with diarrhea and a sunburn. | 只能在里约忍受腹泻和晒伤 |
[24:04] | And you can bet your Brazil nuts he spends | 你就算是傻子都能猜到 |
[24:06] | every waking moment wondering, | 他一定醒着的时时刻刻都在想 |
[24:09] | “Why did I stonewall the bureau?” | “我为什么要妨碍当局” |
[24:13] | I have confidence you’ll get the results I need, McKee. | 我相信你会让我满意的 麦基 |
[24:29] | And then we are left with a unique modification to | 接下来我们就需要对我先前的”导波”构想 |
[24:31] | my previous ‘guiding wave’ proposal, because this wave | 做一点独特的修改 因为这种波 |
[24:35] | can influence a quantum particle without becoming. | 能够在不激发的状态下影响量子粒子 |
[24:38] | Albert, we’ve been down this road. | 阿尔伯特 我们已经试过这条路了 |
[24:39] | Many times. | 很多次 |
[24:40] | No, no, no, no, this is different. | 不 不 这次不一样 |
[24:42] | It seems that the more the rest of physics accepts my work, | 看起来随着物理学对我工作认可程度的增加 |
[24:45] | the more you resist it. | 你的抵抗情绪也在增加 |
[24:47] | Because it’s all conjecture. | 因为全是臆想 |
[24:49] | Where is your proof? | 你的证据呢 |
[24:51] | You sound just like one of those stodgy members of the | 你听起来就像那些曾经对广义相对论做出 |
[24:53] | establishment who said the same thing about general relativity. | 同样论断的古板的机构成员 |
[24:57] | Are you actually comparing | 你真的要用 |
[24:58] | quantum mechanics with relativity? | 量子力学和相对论作比较吗 |
[25:03] | Albert, tell me, what do you have to show for all this | 阿尔伯特 告诉我 你花这么久 |
[25:07] | time you’ve spent chasing unified field theory, huh? | 追寻统一场理论 有什么成果 |
[25:14] | Perhaps if you just let go of your ego for just a moment, | 如果你能够短暂的放下你的自尊 |
[25:19] | you could admit that you are simply wrong. | 你就会承认你错了 |
[25:21] | You’re as bad as those fools in Washington. | 你和华盛顿的那些蠢货没什么两样 |
[25:23] | Trying to ruin anyone who comes up against me. | 试图毁掉每个攻击我的人 |
[25:25] | You think I’m trying to ruin you? | 你觉得我想毁掉你 |
[25:27] | You make me out to be a laughing stock. | 你让我成为笑柄 |
[25:28] | A has-been. | 一个过时的人 |
[25:29] | Anyone who doesn’t follow your decree is a traitor | 任何违背你指令的人不是叛徒 |
[25:32] | or an imbecile and I’ve had enough of it! | 就是傻瓜 我已经受够了 |
[25:34] | Albert, you’ve lost yourself. | 阿尔伯特 你已经失去自我了 |
[25:36] | Yes, perhaps like one of your unobserved particles, | 没错 也许就像你未注意到的某个粒子 |
[25:43] | I’m not even here. | 我压根就不在这 |
[25:49] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[25:50] | I think you should go. | 我觉得你该走了 |
[26:04] | This is a CBS news bulletin. | 播放一条哥伦比亚广播公司的新闻 |
[26:06] | Julius and Ethel Rosenberg have been found guilty of conspiracy | 朱利叶斯和艾瑟尔·罗森伯格因犯有间谍同谋罪 |
[26:11] | to commit espionage. | 而被判有罪 |
[26:12] | Under federal law, the rosenbergs are eligible | 根据联邦法律 罗森伯格夫妇符合 |
[26:15] | for the death penalty. | 执行死刑条件 |
[26:16] | “A country which prides itself on | “一个以言论自由为豪的国家 |
[26:19] | freedom of speech must not commit the most barbarous | 绝不能对传播信息的人 |
[26:23] | act of retribution on those who disseminate information. | 施以最野蛮的报复行为 |
[26:27] | That much, your honor, should be self-evident.” | 法官达人 这一点是显而易见的” |
[26:35] | Is that all? | 就这些 |
[26:36] | No, I’d like my pipe, please. | 不 请先把烟斗给我 |
[26:39] | It’s the one thing left in this world that gives me pleasure. | 这是世界上唯一能给我带来快乐的东西了 |
[26:42] | I cannot help you with that. | 这我帮不到你 |
[26:45] | As true as the moon pulling the tides, | 就像月亮”牵引”着潮汐 |
[26:47] | here we find ourselves again. | 我们在此重新找回自己 |
[26:50] | You want to say my little controversies are pointless. | 你想说我的小争论毫无意义 |
[26:52] | But you will not say it. | 但是你不会说出来 |
[26:54] | Silence again, silence always. | 如此沉默 一如既往 |
[26:58] | As though it were a virtue. | 好像这是一种美德 |
[27:00] | It is no virtue, Helen. | 这不是美德 海伦 |
[27:02] | Pull the page and let me sign it. | 把纸拿出来 让我签字 |
[27:08] | There are controversies, | 是有争议 |
[27:11] | and then there is absolute stupidity. | 并且非常愚蠢 |
[27:17] | You do understand I am speaking out | 你明白我是在公然反对 |
[27:19] | against a clear wrong. | 一个明显的错误 |
[27:22] | Did you not ask my opinion? | 你不是没问我的意见吗 |
[27:27] | This isn’t like speaking at a negro college. | 这可不像在黑人大学演讲 |
[27:31] | This is about meddling in the affairs of | 这可是在插手美国政府的 |
[27:34] | the United States government. | 国务 |
[27:41] | My own son will not speak to me. | 我的儿子都不和我说话 |
[27:44] | I’m made to feel like a dinosaur in the physics community. | 我被认为是物理学界的老古董 |
[27:49] | I’ve completely stalled on unified field theory. | 我对统一场理论的研究已经陷入僵局 |
[27:53] | And I have no idea where my pipe is. | 我完全不知道我的烟斗在哪里 |
[27:58] | I’m getting old, Helen. | 我在渐渐变老 海伦 |
[28:01] | I’m sick, | 我病了 |
[28:04] | my voice is all I have left. | 发言权就是我仅剩的一切 |
[28:42] | This is precisely what we need. | 这正是我们需要的 |
[28:45] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[28:47] | But we intercepted Einstein’s letter before | 但是我们在法官收到之前 |
[28:49] | it reached the judge. | 截获了爱因斯坦的信 |
[28:50] | Seeing as we don’t have a warrant. | 鉴于我们并没有搜查令 |
[28:53] | Oh, be creative, McKee. | 别这么死板 麦基 |
[28:56] | Reseal the letter. | 把信重新封好 |
[28:58] | Have it sent to the judge and pay him a visit. | 寄给法官 去拜访他一次 |
[29:01] | “Have you received correspondence | 问他 “您有收到 |
[29:03] | from Albert Einstein?” You ask. | 爱因斯坦的信吗” |
[29:05] | “Whatever would give you such an idea,” He replies. | 他会回答 “你为什么会这么想” |
[29:07] | “A confidential source,” You answer. | “消息来源需要保密” 你答道 |
[29:09] | “But if you’re a good American and you believe in our institutions, | “但倘若你是位守法的美国公民并深信政府 |
[29:13] | I’m sure you’ll aid the bureau in this quite | 我相信在这次涉及国家利益的敏感事件中 |
[29:14] | sensitive matter of national interest.” | 你会选择协助联调局的工作” |
[29:17] | You want me to intimidate a federal judge? | 你想让我去威胁联邦法官吗 |
[29:22] | Who said anything about intimidating? | 谁让你威胁了 |
[29:25] | There’s no evidence of a crime here, sir. | 我们手上压根没有犯罪证据啊 长官 |
[29:28] | Has Einstein actually done anything illegal? | 爱因斯坦有任何违法举动吗 |
[29:30] | Einstein is a fox and we have him up a tree. | 爱因斯坦是只狡猾的狐狸 我们把他困在了树上 |
[29:35] | It’s time to pull the trigger. | 是时候扣下扳机了 |
[29:38] | I’ll find someone to make noise with that letter. | 我会找人制造这封信的舆论 |
[29:43] | Here it is, in his own hand, a letter, | 就是这封 他亲署的信 |
[29:46] | 美国国会大厦 1951年 | |
[29:46] | trying to influence a federal judge on behalf of spies and | 他妄想迷惑一位联邦法官 |
[29:50] | pinko subversives who delivered our closely guarded atomic | 就为了那些正把我们用以自卫的原子弹机密 |
[29:53] | secrets right up the steps of the Kremlin! | 向克林姆宫全盘托出的俄国间谍和左倾颠覆分子 |
[29:56] | This so-called genius, he would replace the stars and stripes | 这位所谓的天才可以毫不费力地 |
[30:01] | with a hammer and sickle without breaking a sweat! | 把我们的星条旗换成苏联国旗 |
[30:04] | Congressman Rankin, over here, sir! | 兰金议员 请看这边 先生 |
[30:06] | How did you come to be in possession of the letter? | 您是如何得到这封信的呢 |
[30:08] | Judge Kaufman himself, a true patriot. | 考夫曼法官亲自给我的 他是位真正的爱国者 |
[30:11] | Now, are there any other questions? | 还有什么问题吗 |
[30:14] | The Washington Post, the Chicago Tribune, | 《华盛顿邮报》 《芝加哥论坛报》 |
[30:17] | the Philadelphia Inquirer. | 《费城询问报》 |
[30:20] | Even this commie rag has denounced him. | 就连这份抱着共产主义狗腿的报纸也公开抨击他了 |
[30:26] | You just earned yourself a promotion, McKee. | 你给自己争取到了晋升机会 麦基 |
[30:29] | Close the case. | 结案吧 |
[30:31] | My assignment was to amass evidence and either | 我的任务是收集证据 |
[30:32] | charge him criminally or find grounds to have him deported. | 起诉他犯罪或是找到充分理由驱逐其出境 |
[30:36] | Have you assembled evidence so that I may charge Einstein? | 你有找到可以让我起诉爱因斯坦的证据吗 |
[30:38] | No. | 没 |
[30:39] | Have you brought me grounds by which I may deport him? | 那你有找到可以让我将他驱逐出境的理由吗 |
[30:41] | Not yet, sir, but. | 目前还没有 但长官… |
[30:42] | Then you have failed. | 那么你的任务就算失败了 |
[30:44] | Men like Einstein confuse an unstable nation. | 像爱因斯坦这样的人会使尚未稳定的国家陷入混乱 |
[30:50] | And such confusion is as reprehensible and | 如此妖言惑众和其他的罪行一样 |
[30:54] | is as punishable as any other crime. | 都应该受到谴责及惩罚 |
[30:57] | So I found a way to punish him. | 所以我找了个法子治治他 |
[31:03] | And this is it. | 正如你所见 |
[31:10] | Your solution is to humiliate a man? | 你的办法就是羞辱他吗 |
[31:14] | To silence him? | 就只是为了让他闭嘴 |
[31:16] | Einstein has spoken out with impunity for years, | 多年来 爱因斯坦一直口无遮拦却不受惩罚 |
[31:20] | it was time someone shoved a gag in that mouth. | 是时候有个人来让他闭嘴了 |
[31:30] | McKee. | 麦基 |
[31:37] | When you question the integrity of the bureau’s actions, | 当你质疑联调局行动是否公正时 |
[31:40] | you question the integrity of my actions. | 你就是在质疑我的举措是否有理 |
[31:44] | And such questions. | 这些问题 |
[31:49] | They can get a man in a whole mess of trouble. | 足可以让人惹上一身麻烦 |
[32:02] | Let Einstein speak out, and he’ll be drowned by | 让爱因斯坦畅所欲言吧 |
[32:06] | the patriotic citizens of this fine country. | 他会被爱国公民的口水给淹死的 |
[32:09] | It takes a man a lifetime to build his reputation, | 人需要一生的时间来树立自己的声望 |
[32:13] | and yet a mere moment to scuttle it. | 但仅需一瞬就可以让一切毁于一旦 |
[32:16] | That’s a version of relativity | 这是相对论的另一个解释 |
[32:18] | Dr. Einstein ought to have learned long ago. | 爱因斯坦博士早就该知晓了 |
[32:22] | Perhaps now Einstein will retreat to the laboratory | 也许爱因斯坦该退回实验室里搞科学了 |
[32:25] | where he belongs. | 那才是属于他的地方 |
[32:27] | In the meantime, all good citizens would do well to | 同时 良好的爱国公民就应该 |
[32:30] | turn a deaf ear to his subversive screeds. | 对他那些颠覆性文章充耳不闻 |
[32:35] | We should instead pay attention to | 我们要将注意力放在 |
[32:36] | the patriots who have lived all their lives… | 那些耗尽一生为国奉献的爱国者… |
[33:10] | 《相对论的含义》 | |
[34:05] | 普林斯顿 新泽西州 1955年 | |
[34:10] | It’s time to get out of the house. | 是时候离开这幢房子出去走走了 |
[34:12] | Is there somewhere I’m meant to be? | 我有什么地方可以去吗 |
[34:14] | Go to your office. | 去你的办公室吧 |
[34:15] | You haven’t been there in months. | 你好几个月没去了 |
[34:17] | I haven’t had an original thought in so long | 我已经很久没有好想法了 |
[34:19] | I’ve forgotten what it feels like. | 我都忘了那是什么感觉了 |
[34:24] | If I went to my office, I’d only stare at the walls. | 我到了办公室也只会对着墙壁发呆 |
[34:28] | The wallpaper is much nicer here. | 而这儿的墙纸漂亮多了 |
[34:33] | Helen, what’s an eight letter word | 海伦 那个表示”冰冻疗法”的 |
[34:36] | that means “Frozen treat”? | 八个字母的单词是什么来着 |
[34:39] | P, something, p, something, something, | p 什么 p 什么 |
[34:42] | something, something, something. | 什么什么什么 |
[34:46] | I’m going to the market. | 我要去市场了 |
[35:11] | Dr. Einstein, my name is Alice Edwards and, well, you are | 爱因斯坦博士 我叫爱丽丝·爱德华兹 |
[35:15] | the smartest man in history, sir, all the papers say so, | 你是历史上最聪明的人 所有报纸都是这么说的 |
[35:18] | and all that stuff you said about the universe and whatnot? | 还有你就整个宇宙所提出的一切理论及观点 |
[35:21] | Well it’s really important to kids all across America, | 这对全美国的孩子们都非常重要 |
[35:23] | and that’s why your brain is critical in helping me | 所以我才如此需要您辅导 |
[35:25] | with my long division, which, I have cookies. | 我的长除法功课 而且我有曲奇饼呢 |
[35:34] | If you could kindly fill in the answers here, here and here, | 劳烦您填一下这儿 这儿 还有这儿的空 |
[35:38] | I’ll work backwards and get the gist, | 我就能通过逆向思考掌握这个算法了 |
[35:40] | that’s kind of how I learn. | 这就是我的学习方法 |
[35:42] | Why do your teachers make you study mathematics? | 为什么你的老师要你们学习数学 |
[35:44] | Exactly, what good is stupid math anyway? | 就是啊 学数学有啥用处啊 |
[35:48] | Here’s the strange thing. | 奇怪的是这个 |
[35:53] | Almost all flowers in nature have a certain number of petals. | 自然界里几乎所有花的花瓣数都是一定的 |
[35:57] | Either 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, or 55. | 无非5 8 13 21 34 或55片 |
[36:05] | It’s called the Fibonacci sequence. | 这就是斐波纳契数列 |
[36:07] | Yikes. | 哇 |
[36:08] | And the Fibonacci sequence in turn is related to the golden mean. | 而斐波纳契数列又逐渐趋近于黄金分割比 |
[36:12] | Sounds like an Agatha Christie book. | 听起来像是阿加莎·克里斯蒂的书 英国女侦探小说家 |
[36:15] | And who are you? | 你是谁呀 |
[36:17] | My name is Alice Edwards, ma’am. | 我叫爱丽丝·爱德华兹 夫人 |
[36:19] | Dr. Einstein was kind enough to help me with my long division. | 爱因斯坦博士好意为我解答长除法问题 |
[36:23] | Well, Miss Edwards, | 爱德华兹小姐 |
[36:26] | Dr. Einstein isn’t taking visitors at the moment. | 爱因斯坦博士现在不方便接待客人 |
[36:30] | Despite his willingness to accept bribes. | 尽管他很想收下你的”贿赂” |
[36:35] | Out with you, come. | 出去吧 |
[36:41] | Gee, she’s a real charmer. | 我天 她真是一点都不可爱 |
[36:45] | I wish my teachers were more like you. | 我希望我的老师们更像你一点 |
[36:47] | You make this stuff sound fun. | 这些从你口中听来都很有趣 |
[36:49] | It is fun. | 是很有趣 |
[36:50] | Thank you for reminding me of that. | 谢谢你提醒了我这一点 |
[36:54] | You can keep this. | 这个你拿去吧 |
[36:56] | Count them before next time. | 下次先把花瓣数一数 |
[37:20] | Where on earth are you going? | 你究竟在干嘛 |
[37:23] | You told me to go to the office, | 你让我去办公室 |
[37:27] | so I’m going to the office. | 所以我要去办公室 |
[37:34] | 普林斯顿大学 | |
[37:54] | Rumors of an Einstein sighting on campus | 传闻都已经沸沸扬扬了 |
[37:56] | made waves very quickly. | 说看到爱因斯坦在学校里 |
[37:58] | I had to come see if it was true. | 我得来看看这是不是真的 |
[38:02] | How are you, Niels? | 你过的怎么样 尼尔斯 |
[38:03] | In my own little world, marking time. | 在我自己的小世界里 原地踏步 |
[38:06] | It’s good to see you’re back at work. | 很高兴看你回来工作 |
[38:09] | I’m muddling my way through unified field theory again. | 我又在纠结统一场论了 |
[38:18] | You know. There’s a bit of an anomaly in your work. | 你知道吗 你的论证上有点不对 |
[38:25] | I beg your pardon? | 不好意思你说什么 |
[38:26] | That derivative? | 那导数 |
[38:28] | Can’t be third order. | 不可能是三阶 |
[38:44] | What anomaly? | 哪里不对了 |
[38:56] | My God, you’re right. | 我的天 你说的对 |
[38:59] | I’d have gone fumbling my way through that for another week | 如果你没有指出来的话 |
[39:02] | if you hadn’t pointed it out. | 我就得再摸索一个礼拜了 |
[39:10] | How about a stroll? | 一起走走 |
[39:16] | I read the manifesto you and Bertrand Russell wrote. | 我看了你和伯特兰·罗素写的宣言 |
[39:19] | It was very impressive. | 印象深刻 |
[39:21] | And yet no one listens. | 但没人要听 |
[39:23] | I fear my influence on the use of atomic weapons is long past. | 恐怕我对原子武器的影响力早已不在了 |
[39:28] | If only I could turn back the clock to | 要是我能回到大家还在乎 |
[39:30] | when people actually cared about what I had to say. | 我的言论话语的时候多好啊 |
[39:33] | Well, time travel. | 时间旅行 |
[39:35] | Perhaps that could be your final triumph, Albert. | 这可能可以成为你最终的胜利 阿尔伯特 |
[39:39] | There are many moments I would like to relive | 有很多时刻我想重新来过 |
[39:43] | and many ill’s I’d like to fix. | 有很多伤害我想弥补 |
[39:47] | Time is a tricky thing, you taught me that. | 时间是很复杂的东西 这是你教我的 |
[39:51] | People have missed you here, Albert. | 大家都很想念你在的时光 阿尔伯特 |
[39:54] | It’s purely selfish on their part, to be sure. | 当然于他们而言这很自私 |
[39:57] | But they need you to keep their minds sharp. | 但他们需要你来让他们保持头脑敏捷 |
[40:01] | Well I need you. | 我需要你 |
[40:03] | Not just to keep my mind sharp. | 不仅是保持我头脑敏捷 |
[40:05] | But for this. | 更是为了拥有这种时刻 |
[40:12] | What are you looking for? | 你在看什么 |
[40:15] | An equation, well, half-formed, | 一个方程式 还没完全成型 |
[40:18] | it’s more of a scribble; Maybe 10, 15 years old? | 是我胡乱写的 大概十或十五岁的时候 |
[40:24] | If you can give me something else to go on… | 如果你能给我点其他线索 |
[40:27] | It must be here, it’s very important. | 肯定在这里 这很重要 |
[40:30] | Niels and I’ve been talking about | 尼尔斯和我一直在讨论 |
[40:41] | 米列娃 | |
[41:04] | You kept these? | 这些你都留着 |
[41:05] | I keep everything, professor. | 所有的我都留着 教授 |
[41:30] | You have a visitor. | 你有个访客 |
[41:35] | Ah, hello, Alice! | 你好 爱丽丝 |
[41:37] | Thank you, Helen. | 谢谢你 海伦 |
[41:40] | So I looked up that Fibonacci thing | 我在大英百科全书 |
[41:42] | in the encyclopedia Britannica. | 查了下斐波那契数列 |
[41:43] | Here’s what I don’t get. | 还有一点我没搞懂 |
[41:45] | The flowers? | 花朵 |
[41:46] | How do they know the math? | 它们怎么会知道数学 |
[41:48] | I mean, does a flower realize | 一朵花知道自己 |
[41:50] | it’s supposed to have a certain number of petals? | 该有几片花瓣吗 |
[41:52] | And why the heck does it care, anyway? | 不管怎样 花关心这个干嘛 |
[41:54] | That’s a very interesting question, Alice. | 这问题有意思 爱丽丝 |
[41:58] | Let me show you something. | 我给你看个东西 |
[42:00] | I think I might find an answer for that. | 我觉得我可能找到了这个问题的答案 |
[42:11] | I’m sure it’s in this book somewhere. | 肯定是在这书里 |
[42:16] | What’s this thing? | 这是什么 |
[42:23] | That was a gift. | 这是个礼物 |
[42:27] | From my grandchildren. | 我孙子给的 |
[42:33] | It’s strange. If you hadn’t noticed it, | 很奇怪 如果你没注意到这个 |
[42:37] | I might have forgotten it existed. | 我都可能已经忘了它的存在 |
[42:40] | That’s probably because you’re getting old. | 这可能是因为你老了 |
[42:47] | Finished already? | 这么早结束了 |
[42:49] | He said he’s not feeling well. | 他说他不舒服 |
[42:50] | Asked me to come back tomorrow. | 让我明天过来 |
[42:52] | So see ya later I guess. | 所以再见了 |
[43:08] | Are you alright? | 你没事吧 |
[43:10] | I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[43:16] | It’s time. | 是时候了 |
[43:21] | For what? | 干嘛 |
[43:23] | Call him. | 打给他 |
[43:26] | That door has closed. | 那扇门已经关了 |
[43:27] | Are you really such a fool? | 你真愚蠢至此吗 |
[43:29] | I’m a realist. | 我是个现实主义者 |
[43:32] | – I know when there’s nothing more to be done. – I see. | -我知道已经无力挽回了 -看出来了 |
[43:36] | And yet you never gave up on nuclear proliferation. | 但你从没放弃过解决核扩散问题 |
[43:40] | You did not find it too daunting to speak at a negro college | 没人敢在黑人大学演讲 |
[43:44] | when no one else would dare, or to defend convicted spies. | 或为已定罪的间谍辩护 你却并未退缩 |
[43:53] | You have compassion for so many people. | 你对这么多人有着怜悯之心 |
[43:57] | You fight for so many people. | 你为这么多人而抗争 |
[44:02] | Why is it you cannot fight to be reconciled with your own son? | 为什么你就不能努力下和自己的儿子和解 |
[44:09] | I think I liked you better | 我觉得我更喜欢你 |
[44:11] | when you kept your thoughts to yourself. | 把话憋在心里的时候 |
[44:16] | I am certain you did. | 你肯定是这样 |
[44:18] | Hans told me that he wants nothing more to do with me. | 汉斯说他不想和我有任何关系 |
[44:23] | You care so much about your legacy, | 你很在乎你能遗留在世的东西 |
[44:26] | about how you will be remembered by the world. | 在乎自己如何能被这世界记住 |
[44:30] | But the world begins and ends in your own family. | 但这世界起始于家庭 也终于家庭 |
[44:39] | 汉斯·阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 4158123331 | |
[44:53] | Hello, Hansie. | 你好 小汉 |
[44:58] | Hi, Grandpa. | 爷爷好 |
[44:59] | Hello, Evelyn. | 你好啊 伊弗林 |
[45:02] | Come in, come in. | 进来 进来吧 |
[45:05] | Hi, Grandpa. | 爷爷好 |
[45:06] | Bernard. | 伯纳德 你好 |
[45:09] | Come in, my boy. | 进来吧 我的孩子 |
[45:13] | You’re helping a ten-year-old girl with long division? | 你在帮一个十岁的小女孩算长除法吗 |
[45:18] | She’s very bright. | 她很聪明 |
[45:23] | You’re good with other people. | 你和其他人相处融洽 |
[45:26] | With your colleagues, the cleaning woman, taxi drivers. | 与你的同事 清洁女工和出租车司机 |
[45:33] | But you made me feel inferior. | 但你却让我感到自卑 |
[45:41] | When I was young, my father told me | 年少时 我父亲告诉我 |
[45:43] | that physics was a waste of time. | 物理是浪费时间 |
[45:47] | I only realized near the end of his life | 在他生命将尽时 |
[45:50] | that he wasn’t being cruel. | 我才发现他当时并不严厉 |
[45:54] | He was terrified for me. | 他替我感到害怕 |
[45:58] | And I forgave him for it… | 所以我原谅了他 |
[46:05] | Only too late. | 可惜太迟了 |
[46:13] | I am proud of you, Hans. I hope you know that. | 我为你感到骄傲 汉斯 希望你知道这点 |
[46:18] | You’re a brilliant engineer. | 你是个出色的工程师 |
[46:21] | Bernard it’s your turn, go. | 伯纳德 到你了 快点 |
[46:27] | And a far better father than I ever was. | 作为一位父亲 你比我好太多了 |
[46:36] | What about Eduard? | 那爱德华呢 |
[46:38] | I love Eduard as I love you. | 你们俩我都一样爱 |
[46:44] | I wish I could have spent more time with both of you. | 但愿我能多陪陪你们俩 |
[46:53] | And mother? | 那母亲呢 |
[46:56] | You made her feel inconsequential, Papa. | 你让她觉得微不足道 爸爸 |
[47:01] | You told me she wasted her life. | 你和我说她浪费了一生 |
[47:06] | Your mother was the blood in my veins, | 你母亲是在我血管中流淌的血液 |
[47:09] | but I was the thorn in her side. | 而我却是阻挡她前路的荆棘 |
[47:15] | She was a great scientist, Hans. | 她是个伟大的科学家 汉斯 |
[47:18] | Insatiably curious. | 有着永不满足的好奇心 |
[47:25] | I would never have achieved anything without her. | 没有她 我根本无法取得任何成就 |
[47:35] | She was the love of my life. | 她是我一生的挚爱 |
[47:58] | You cheated! | 你作弊 |
[47:59] | It’s not cheating, that’s checkmate. | 不是作弊 那叫将军 |
[48:41] | Did they make their flight? | 他们赶上飞机了吗 |
[48:43] | Yes, Hans said he hoped to be back in a few weeks. | 赶上了 汉斯说他希望几周后能回来 |
[48:50] | I don’t have a few weeks. | 我没有几周的时间了 |
[49:10] | Look deep into nature. | 深入观察自然 |
[49:13] | Then you will understand everything better. | 你对一切就会了解得更透彻 |
[49:37] | Helen, | 海琳 |
[49:41] | you are a blessing. | 祝福你 |
[50:40] | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 1230克 1955年4月18日 | |
[50:40] | His brain. You want to what, | 他的脑子 你想怎样 |
[50:44] | slice it up and gaze at it under a microscope? | 切开 然后在显微镜下观察吗 |
[50:46] | What is the alternative? | 还有其他选择呢 |
[50:49] | Cast it into a furnace? | 扔进火炉里吗 |
[50:52] | Before us is your father’s last great gift to the world. | 我们眼前的是你父亲最后留给世界的伟大礼物 |
[51:03] | Do what you will with the brain. | 大脑随便你怎么处理 |
[51:07] | But if you think you can comprehend who my father was | 但如果你认为在显微镜下观察他的大脑 |
[51:11] | or why he was so brilliant by looking at his brain | 就能理解我父亲的为人 |
[51:16] | under a microscope, you are sorely mistaken. | 或是得知他为何如此聪明 那你大错特错 |
[51:21] | It is just a thing. | 这只是一样东西 |
[51:24] | That, that is not the man. | 那并不是他 |
[51:44] | What is time? | 什么是时间 |
[51:50] | And for that matter, | 就此而言 |
[51:54] | what is space? | 空间又是什么 |
[51:56] | The goal of scientific pursuit should not | 科学研究的目的不只是 |
[51:58] | merely be to make use of the world around us, | 要利用我们周围的世界 |
[52:00] | it should be to understand it, fundamentally. | 而是应该要从根本上理解世界 |
[52:04] | No matter what use it might be. | 不管可以如何利用 |
[52:07] | From the smallest molecule to the largest galaxy, | 上至最大的星系 下至最小的分子 |
[52:11] | every question must have a definable answer. | 每一个问题都有可定义的答案 |
[52:14] | And, well, I intend to find those answers. | 我就想要找到这些答案 |
[52:21] | What is it, Papa? | 这是什么 爸爸 |
[52:22] | 1884年 慕尼黑 | |
[52:23] | It’s a compass, Albert. | 这是个指南针 阿尔伯特 |
[52:26] | With it, you will never be lost. | 有了它 你就不会迷路了 |
[52:29] | But why does the needle move? | 但指针为什么会动呢 |
[52:31] | Something called magnetism. | 因为磁力 |
[52:34] | Magnetism, what is that? | 磁力是什么 |
[52:36] | There is a field all around us, | 我们周围都有磁场 |
[52:39] | invisible but very powerful. | 虽然看不到 但是却很强大 |
[52:42] | A field, what’s that? | 磁场是什么 |
[52:44] | And how can it be so powerful if it’s invisible? | 如果看不到 又怎么会如此强大呢 |
[52:48] | And how does a magnet know how to talk to the field? | 磁铁怎么知道如何与磁场交流呢 |
[52:52] | So how’d you get so smart, anyway? | 你怎么会这么聪明呢 |
[52:54] | I have no special talent. | 我并没有特别的天赋 |
[52:56] | But I am very, very curious, Alice. | 但是我非常非常地好奇 爱丽丝 |
[53:01] | All I do is ask questions. | 我所作的只有提出问题 |
[53:02] | Just like you do. | 就像你一样 |
[53:04] | That’s the most important thing. | 那是最重要的事 |
[53:07] | Anybody can do that. | 任何人都能做到 |
[53:11] | You know, I was looking up at the moon last night | 昨晚我看月亮时 |
[53:12] | and wondering, why doesn’t it come crashing down? | 在想 它为什么不会坠落 |
[53:16] | And is it true that it causes the tides? | 它真的会引发潮汐吗 |
[53:18] | And if that’s true, then how come my cat’s milk doesn’t | 如果是真的 那在月亮升起来时 |
[53:20] | slop out of her saucer and spill all over the floor | 我猫咪的牛奶为什么不会从它的碟里流出来 |
[53:22] | when the moon’s flying over? | 撒到地上呢 |
[53:24] | And where did the moon come from anyway? | 还有月亮到底是从哪来的 |
[53:25] | I mean, I know it’s not made of cheese or anything, | 我知道月亮不是芝士什么做的 |
[53:27] | but it had to come from somewhere, right? | 但它肯定是从某个地方来的 对吧 |
[53:32] | The stars and all the planets, too, how did they get there? | 那些行星和星球又是怎么去到那里的呢 |