时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | – Thanks. Is it cold out there! – I know, it’s freezing. | 谢谢 外面冷吧? 是啊 冻死了 |
[00:05] | Come on in. Sit by the fire. | 进来 烤烤火 |
[00:07] | I’ll make you both a drink and then we can talk. | 我先给你们弄点喝的 然后咱们再聊 |
[00:09] | – About what? – Antennas up. | – 聊什么? – 要注意了 |
[00:10] | Aye, aye, Captain. | 哎 哎 队长 |
[00:12] | So, Lorelai, how are you? | Lorelai 你好么? |
[00:15] | I’m fine, Mom. | 我很好 妈妈 |
[00:16] | – Rory? – I’m fine, too, Grandma. | – Rory呢? – 我也很好 外婆 |
[00:18] | – How are you, Mom? – Also fine. | – 妈妈你怎么样 – 我也很好 |
[00:21] | Look at that, all three of us fine, just like the Judds. | 看看我们都三个都很好 如同贾德母女合唱组一般 |
[00:24] | So, Lorelai, are you dating? | Lorelai 你在谈恋爱么? |
[00:29] | No, I’m not dating. | 没有 |
[00:31] | – Really? There’s no one at all? – No, I’m totally single. | – 真的?没有你看上的? – 没 我真的还是单身 |
[00:34] | – Any chance you’ll get back with Max? – No, Mom, there’s no chance. | – 你和Max有可能复合么? – 妈妈这根本没可能 |
[00:37] | What about the man at the diner who refuses to shave? | 那天晚餐的那个男的怎么样 那个不刮胡子的? |
[00:39] | – Luke is just a friend. – You think you’ll be single your entire life? | – Luke仅仅是朋友而已 – 你想一辈子都单身? |
[00:43] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[00:44] | In terms of your finding someone, what do you think the odds are? | 以你找男朋友的准则来看 你认为你成功的机会是多少 |
[00:47] | Okay, what is going on? | 好了 到底怎么回事 |
[00:49] | I visited the family mausoleum today. | 我今天去了家庭墓地 |
[00:52] | Never what you think it’s gonna be. | 不是你想的那样 |
[00:54] | I just wanted to check on things, make sure they were keeping it up… | 我只是去看看 看看他们是不是… |
[00:57] | changing the flowers. | 定期换花 |
[00:58] | So I went inside and looked around, and it occurred to me… | 我走到了里面去看了看 我发现… |
[01:02] | that there’s a very limited space there. | 那的空间很狭小 |
[01:04] | Now, of course, there’s a slot open for me, Richard, you, and Rory. | 当然还有空位给我 Richard 你和Rory |
[01:08] | But after the two of you, that’s it. No more room for anyone else. | 但是在你俩之后 就没有任何空间给任何人了 |
[01:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[01:13] | So if you actually do meet someone someday… | 所以假如你在某天遇到了某人 |
[01:17] | I don’t know where to put him. | 我不知道应该把他放哪 |
[01:18] | Maybe we could just dump him at the local pool hall. | 也许我们可以把他扔在 本地的投票站 |
[01:21] | – Don’t be silly. – ‘Cause this is not a conversation for that. | – 别傻了 – 这可不是咱们的主题 |
[01:24] | We can’t expand into the crypt next door… | 我们不能扩展到旁边的那个地下室 |
[01:26] | because the family that owns it won’t even discuss it. | 那家的主人甚至都不可能和咱们谈 |
[01:29] | I’m getting a little creeped out. | 我有点开始厌烦了 |
[01:30] | So I talked to the head of the cemetery, and he suggested that we buy an annex. | 所以我去找墓地的管理员 他建议我们买下一块附属墓地 |
[01:35] | – An annex? – Yes. | – 附属墓地? – 对 |
[01:36] | Like an outlet store. It would specialize in the irregular family members. | 就象一个直销店 专门给那些和家族有关但不是家族里的人 |
[01:40] | If we do get the annex, and you do eventually, someday, get married… | 如果我们买到了附属墓地 你最终也和某人结婚了 |
[01:43] | Just say ‘fat chance,’ will you? | 你会说这种机会渺茫 是不? |
[01:45] | I just meant we’ll have to decide who to move. | 我意思是我们要决定要把谁搬出去 |
[01:51] | Why don’t we move Aunt Cecile? She was always annoying at parties. | 为什么不把Cecile阿姨弄出去 她在聚会上总是很惹人厌 |
[01:54] | – She loved the ‘knock, knock’ jokes. – Mom! | – 她就喜欢那些“咚”“咚”的笑话 – 妈妈 |
[01:56] | – What? – You can’t just kick out Aunt Cecile. | – 什么? – 你不能就因为这个把她弄出去 |
[01:58] | ‘Knock, knock. ‘ ‘Who’s there?’ ‘Pineapple. ‘ ‘Pineapple who?’ | 咚 咚 是谁 阿 是菠萝 说出全名~~什么菠萝 |
[02:02] | That’s where it ended. Never fully grasped its concept. | 就在这结束 她从来都没真正抓住过重点 |
[02:05] | She was a complete idiot. Okay, it’s decided. Cecile goes. | 她真的很笨 好了就这么定了 把Cecile弄出去 |
[02:09] | Look, put me in the annex. | 听着 我去附属墓地 |
[02:11] | You are not leaving me alone in there with Cecile. | 你别把我单独和Cecile留在一起 |
[02:14] | I won’t be held responsible… | 我对那些被踢出永久的安息之地的人 |
[02:15] | for somebody being kicked out of their eternal resting place. | 不负责 |
[02:18] | I have an idea. I’ll probably go first. | 我有个好主意 我可能会先死 |
[02:20] | – Throw Rory in with me later. – I’d like my own space, if you don’t mind. | -然后把Rory弄进来 -我比较喜欢单间 如果你不介意 |
[02:23] | Why? It’d totally be fun to be there together. | 为什么?如果我们在一起 那会很有意思的 |
[02:26] | I plan to be buried with all the good CDs and my ‘rock star’ belt. | 我打算随葬好听的CD 还有我的摇滚歌星腰带 |
[02:29] | Sorry I’m late. What did I miss? | 对不起 我来晚了 我都错过了什么 |
[02:31] | We were just discussing who to move to the annex. | 我们正在讨论 把谁搬到附属墓地里 |
[02:34] | I vote for Cecile. Horrible woman. And those terrible jokes. | 我赞成Cecile 那个可怕的女人 还有那些让人难以忍受的笑话 |
[02:39] | – What did I tell you? – This is a cold, cold family. | – 我跟你说什么了? – 这是个冷酷的家族 |
[03:38] | – This is really good. – Yeah. What is it? | – 这真是不错 – 是啊 这是什么? |
[03:42] | – No, don’t tell us. – Why not? | – 别告诉我们 – 为什么不 |
[03:44] | Every time I’ve had something great, but didn’t know what it was… | 每次我感觉那东西不错 但不知道是什么的时候… |
[03:47] | it turned out to be something disgusting that I wouldn’t have tried in the first place. | 结果都是些我一开始不想吃的恶心东西 |
[03:51] | – Example? – Snails. | – 能举个例子么? – 蜗牛 |
[03:53] | – Gross. – Eat in ignorance and enjoy. | – 恶心 – 如果你吃过 你会喜欢的 |
[03:55] | Gladly. | 很乐意 |
[03:56] | – So, Dad, how’s retired life treating you? – Fascinating, actually. | – 爸爸 退休的日子怎么样? – 很让人陶醉 真的 |
[04:00] | I find myself noticing things. | 我发现自己开始留意 |
[04:02] | Everyday things that I must have witnessed a hundred times before… | 以前肯定见过上百回… |
[04:06] | and just walked right past. | 径直从旁边走过 却视而不见的事物了 |
[04:07] | Like yesterday, your mother moved a vase, the one in the hall. | 就像昨天你妈妈搬动了大厅里的花瓶 |
[04:11] | And she didn’t do it in front of me. | 她没有当我的面搬 |
[04:13] | No, ’cause nice girls never move vases in front of men. | 不会的 因为好女孩从来不在男人面前搬花瓶 |
[04:15] | And she only moved it a little… | 她只挪了一点点 |
[04:17] | but as I passed it by, I noticed it had been moved. | 但是我经过的时候 我发现它被移动过了 |
[04:20] | – Impressive. – Every day’s a new discovery. | – 令人印象深刻 – 每天都有新的发现 |
[04:23] | Your mother changed her hair… | 你妈妈改变了发型 |
[04:24] | or she wore shoes that didn’t match her purse. | 或者是她的鞋和她的手袋不相称 |
[04:28] | – Last Thursday. – For heaven’s sake. | – 上个星期四 – 我的天 |
[04:30] | – You know what else I noticed? – What? | – 你知道我发现了什么? – 什么? |
[04:32] | A first-edition Flaubert… | 一本首印版的福楼拜小说 |
[04:33] | mint condition, shoved behind several of my Churchill biographies. | 藏在我的丘吉尔传记后面 |
[04:37] | – No. – Interested? | – 不会吧 – 你有兴趣? |
[04:38] | – My life is good. – Follow me. | – 我的生活还不错 – 跟我来 |
[04:40] | See if you can find the new Chanel patent leather pirate boots… | 翻开你丘吉尔传的最后一页看看… |
[04:44] | stuffed back behind your Churchills. | 能不能找到新款香奈尔海盗皮靴 |
[04:48] | What’s up, Mom? | 妈 怎么了? |
[04:50] | – Nothing’s up. – You were twitching. I saw you. | – 没什么事 – 我看见你在抖 |
[04:52] | You did not. | 没有 |
[04:53] | When Dad talked about the vase, you pulled a full-on Tabitha. | 当爸爸谈到花瓶的时候 你下意识抖了一下 |
[04:56] | – I did not. – Is something wrong? | – 我没有 – 有什么问题么? |
[04:58] | No, nothing’s wrong. | 没 没问题 |
[05:00] | Okay. Nothing’s wrong. | 好了 真没什么 |
[05:02] | It’s just that things are a little strange lately. | 只是最近有些事有点奇怪 |
[05:06] | – What is? – Having him home. | – 什么事 – 家里有了他 |
[05:08] | We’ve never really been home at the same time. | 我们其实没有多少时间是同时在家的 |
[05:10] | We got married, went to Europe, we came back, he went to work… | 我们结婚 去了欧洲 回来他就去工作了 |
[05:13] | – and it’s been that way ever since. – So now it’s different. | – 从那以后总是这样 – 现在有些不一样了 |
[05:16] | It’s very different. He’s always here… | 很不同 他总是在这 |
[05:19] | watching me and noticing when I move a vase, and… | 看着我 注意到我搬那个花瓶 还… |
[05:22] | I don’t know. It’s silly. | 我不知道 这样很傻 |
[05:26] | So he noticed my hair was different. Women die for that sort of thing. | 他注意到我的发型变了 女人才会痴迷这种事情 |
[05:29] | Mom, it’s just an adjustment. | 妈妈 这需要适应 |
[05:31] | You guys just need to figure out a new routine. | 你们需要习惯一下 |
[05:34] | – I guess so. – It’ll just take some time. | – 我也这么觉得 – 这会需要点时间 |
[05:37] | Then you’ll find your rhythm… | 然后你就会找回生活节奏… |
[05:38] | he’ll go back to ignoring your hair. All will be well. | 他会恢复到无视你的头发 一切都会好起来的 |
[05:41] | – Yes, you’re probably right. – I am right. | – 是的 你可能是对的 – 我是对的 |
[05:43] | Okay, I give. What is this? | 好 我给 这是什么 |
[05:46] | Sweetbreads. | 羊杂碎 |
[05:47] | – Sweetbreads. So that’s… – Pancreas. | – 杂碎 那是… – 胰脏 |
[05:53] | No! | 不!不!不… |
[05:59] | – Paris. – I’m not done. | – Paris – 我还没完呢 |
[06:00] | – Sorry. – No. | – 对不起 – 不 |
[06:01] | – Glad she finished that one. – Why am I the only one who cares? | – 真高兴她终于说完了 – 为什么只有我关心呢 |
[06:04] | You’re not the only one who cares. | 不仅仅只有你关心 |
[06:06] | I know you do, but everyone in this room should care… | 我知道还有你 但是房间里的每个人都应该关心的 |
[06:09] | because I can’t be the only one to care, besides you. | 因为这不应该只由我来关心 除了你 |
[06:11] | It’s just a contest. It’s not like you get a car… | 这只是场比赛 这可不像你去弄辆车 |
[06:14] | – or a lifetime supply of Rice-A-Roni. – God, I love that stuff. | – 或 Rice-A-Roni终身免费提供那样简单 – 天阿 我喜欢 [注:Rice-A-Roni 著名食品品牌] |
[06:17] | The Oppenheimer Award for Excellence in school journalism is not a contest. | Oppenheimer优秀校刊奖 不是普通的竞赛 |
[06:21] | It’s a statement. It says you’re the best. | 这个奖是对你的肯定 肯定你是最优秀的 |
[06:23] | The best writers, best reporters, best editors. | 最优秀的作着 最优秀的记者 最优秀的编辑 |
[06:25] | It says you’ve crushed all others who have dared to take you on. | 证明你击败了所有挑战者 |
[06:28] | It says that every other school in the United States of America… | 你让其他所有美国的学校 |
[06:32] | is feeling nothing but shame, defeat and pain… | 感到羞耻挫败和痛苦 |
[06:34] | because of the people who won the Oppenheimer plaque. | 因为你赢了Oppenheimer奖杯 |
[06:37] | I want to be those people. I want to cause that pain. | 我想成为那样的人 我想导致那样的痛苦 |
[06:40] | – Our paper is good. – Not good enough. | – 我们做得很好 – 还不够好 |
[06:41] | – Last week’s issue… – Was a fine effort by some kids. | – 上周的那期… – 那期只有小孩才觉得有成就感 |
[06:44] | – We are a bunch of kids. – Not when we’re in this room. | – 我们就是一群小孩 – 当我们在这屋子里的时候不是 |
[06:47] | Lessure Prep Gazette, Broadmouth Banner, Richmond Heights Chronicle… | Flescher Prep公报 Broadmouth旗帜报 Richmond Heights年鉴… |
[06:51] | these publications are not our competition. | 这些刊物根本不是对手 |
[06:54] | The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post… | 纽约时报 华尔街日报 华盛顿邮报 |
[06:58] | these publications are our competition. | 这些才是我们真正的对手 |
[07:01] | – Paris has gone bye-bye. – We need to raise the bar. | – Paris已经说再见了 – 我们应该把标准定得更高 |
[07:04] | We need to be better, think harder, dig deeper. | 我们需要做的更好 更努力思考 更深层的去挖掘 |
[07:06] | I don’t want to just submit a good issue, but a great issue, the best issue. | 我不想只出好的而已 我要出伟大的一期 最好的一期 |
[07:10] | – When’s the deadline? – Next week. | – 最后期限是什么时候 – 还有一周 |
[07:12] | Okay, so then we’d better get brainstorming. | 好 那么 我们最好一起来研究一下 |
[07:14] | – Does anyone have an idea for a theme? – Yes. | – 关于主题谁有好主意? – 是的 |
[07:16] | – What? – The one that wins. | – 什么? – 想赢的人 |
[07:18] | Okay, good. Big help. | 很好 很有用 |
[07:20] | All right, everyone, we should get working. | 好了 咱们该干活了 |
[07:24] | You’re going to give yourself a stroke one of these days, you know that? | 你知道吗 这些天你要给自己敲响警钟 |
[07:27] | Graciella, I’m leaving the shopping list on the table here. | Graciella 我把购货单留在桌子上了阿 |
[07:31] | Remember, we need the low-sudsing detergent. | 记住 我们要的是低泡沫的清洁剂 |
[07:33] | I’ve drawn a picture of what the box looks like… | 我画了张画 告诉你那个盒子应该是什么样的 |
[07:35] | so for heaven’s sake, pay attention this time. | 所以看在上帝份上 这次请你用点心 |
[07:40] | How was your walk? | 散步怎么样 |
[07:41] | Carl Anderson needs a new roof. | Carl Anderson需要换新的屋顶 |
[07:43] | – I’m gonna drop him a note. – Good idea. | – 我得给他留言了 – 好主意 |
[07:45] | – Busy day? – Very. | – 忙碌的一天? – 非常忙 |
[07:47] | Is that the same cup of coffee you had when I left? | 这还是我离开时的那杯咖啡? |
[07:49] | When I left an hour ago, you were having coffee. | 我一个小时前出去的时候 你在喝咖啡 |
[07:52] | No, this is a different cup. | 不 这是另外一杯 |
[07:54] | So that’s your third cup of coffee this morning. | 那么 这是你今天早晨第3杯咖啡 |
[07:56] | – I guess. – Interesting. | – 我想是的 – 有意思 |
[07:58] | I just realized you have three cups of coffee in the morning. | 我刚意识到你一早上喝了三杯咖啡 |
[08:01] | Not every morning. | 不是每早晨都这样 |
[08:03] | – Every morning this week. – So what? | – 这周的每个早晨都是这样 – 那又怎么了? |
[08:05] | Nothing. Just an observation, that’s all. | 没什么 只是留意到了而已 |
[08:08] | Lot of coffee to drink, early in the morning. | 你早上要喝不少咖啡 |
[08:11] | Any thoughts on what you’d like for dinner tonight? | 想过今晚你特别想吃什么没? |
[08:14] | – No, anything’s fine. – All right. | – 没 随便 – 好吧 |
[08:15] | – What are you writing down? – Lamb chops. | – 你写什么呢? – 羊排 |
[08:18] | – Is that for tonight? – Yes. | – 是今天晚上吃? – 是啊 |
[08:20] | – Do you not want lamb chops tonight? – No, lamb chops is fine for tonight. | – 你今天晚上不想吃羊排? – 不 羊排不错 |
[08:24] | I just thought a nice roast would also be nice for a change. | 我想换换烤肉也不错 |
[08:27] | – Roast it is. – Of course, if you want lamb chops… | – 那就 烤肉 – 当然 如果你想要羊排 |
[08:29] | – We’re having roast. – Okay, if that is what you want. | – 我们吃烤肉 – 好的 如果你想吃 |
[08:32] | Do you want me to drop off anything at the dry cleaner’s? | 你有什么衣服要去干洗么? |
[08:35] | – You’re going there? – Yes. | – 你去干洗店? – 是的 |
[08:36] | I’ll go with you. | 我跟你一起去 |
[08:37] | – I can bring in whatever you have. – But it’d be nice to go together. | – 东西我拿的了的 – 但是一起去会更好 |
[08:40] | It would be romantic, but I won’t have time to get back here… | 一定很浪漫 可我怕赶不回来 开DAR[美国革命女儿会]会议 |
[08:43] | before my DAR meeting. Probably better if I went alone. | 我可能没有时间回来 还是我自己去比较好一点 |
[08:46] | You can come with me next week. | 你下周可以和我一起去 |
[08:48] | But I can go to the meeting with you. | 但是我可以跟你一起去开会 |
[08:50] | To my meeting of the Daughters of the American Revolution? | 与美国革命女儿会的会议? |
[08:54] | I think it’d be fascinating. | 我想一定会令我着迷的 |
[08:56] | I go straight from there to the symphony luncheon. | 我会直接从那去交响乐晚宴的 |
[08:58] | I’ll tag along there, too. | 我也会跟着你去 |
[08:59] | But from there, I get my hair done. | 但是我还要去弄头发 |
[09:01] | You don’t want to sit around while I have my hair done. | 你不会愿意花时间去等我做头发 |
[09:04] | – No, I don’t. – There you go. | – 不 我不想 – 你看 |
[09:06] | You can cancel that. | 你可以取消 |
[09:07] | I get my hair done every Wednesday at 3:00. | 我每周三都去弄头发 |
[09:10] | Your hair looks fine. | 你头发看起来很好 |
[09:11] | Because I have my hair done every Wednesday at 3:00. | 这是因为我每周三都去弄头发 |
[09:14] | What am I going to do? | 我该怎么办 |
[09:15] | – Why don’t you go to the club? – What? | – 为什么你不去那个俱乐部? – 什么? |
[09:17] | Yes, the club. | 俱乐部 |
[09:19] | You spend a fortune to belong there, and you never got to go much before. | 你花了不少钱加入的 你以前可没怎么去过 |
[09:22] | – Why don’t you go there now? – On a Wednesday afternoon? | – 你为什么不现在就去? – 周三下午? |
[09:25] | I think it would be perfect. | 我觉得非常合适 |
[09:26] | I don’t even know what they do on a Wednesday. | 我甚至都不知道他们周三有什么节目 |
[09:29] | No time like the present to find out. | 正好现在可以去了解下 |
[09:30] | – All right, I’ll go to the club. – Wonderful. | – 好吧 我去俱乐部 – 太棒了 |
[09:35] | Going to the club on a Wednesday afternoon. | 在一个周三的下午去俱乐部 |
[09:38] | Life certainly is an interesting game of cards, isn’t it? | 生活就是一个很有趣的扑克游戏 不是么? |
[09:42] | It certainly is. | 是的 当然 |
[09:44] | I’ll see you tonight. | 晚上见 |
[09:47] | Have a good time. | 你玩的开心点 |
[09:51] | Graciella, I need more coffee now. | Graciella 我想再来点咖啡 |
[09:53] | How about a triple feature? | 来个3部连放怎么样? |
[09:55] | Three Days of the Condor, The Show, and The Jerk. | 三天的‘秃鹰’ 那个节目 那个蠢货 |
[09:57] | – The Show is 9.5 hours. – The Jerk is short. | – 那个节目是9个半小时 – 那个蠢货很矮 |
[10:00] | The three faces of Costner: Bull Durham… | 《百万金币》… |
[10:03] | Dances with Wolves, The Postman. | 《与狼共舞》《邮差》 |
[10:04] | Tom Petty playing Tom Petty, that big speech about: | Tom Petty 演Tom Petty 那个演讲,关于 |
[10:07] | ‘Once upon a time, there was a thing called mail. ‘ | 很久以前有个东西叫邮件 |
[10:09] | It’ll make you laugh, cry, or mail something. | 它让你哭 让你笑 或者让你邮什么东西 |
[10:12] | Or we could do a Ruth Gordon film festival. | 或者我们可以搞一个Ruth Gordon电影节 [注:Ruth Gordon(鲁芙 高登)著名演员 曾获69年奥斯卡奖最佳女配角奖] |
[10:15] | Harold and Maude, Rosemary’s Baby, and that great episode of Taxi. | 《哈洛与茂德》《魔鬼怪婴》 还有那个搞笑的出租车段子 |
[10:18] | Got it. The worst film festival ever: | 恩 史上最差的电影节 |
[10:20] | Cool as Ice, Hudson Hawk, and Electric Boogaloo. | 《冷若冰霜》《虎胆神偷》 还有《霹雳舞2》 |
[10:23] | – Sold. – I’ll get the Hawk. | – 好的 – 我去找《虎胆神偷》 |
[10:24] | I’ll get the Boogaloo. | 我找《霹雳舞2》 |
[10:27] | – See? I told you. – Wow! | – 看吧 我告诉过你 – 喔 |
[10:30] | – Guys, can I get in there? – Yeah. | – 你们可以让我过去么? – 当然 |
[10:39] | – Got it, plus four boxes of red vines. – Let’s go. | 拿着了 还有4个红色的藤盒子 |
[10:42] | – Hi, Kirk. – Evening, Lorelai. | – 嗨 Kirk – 晚上好 Lorelai |
[10:45] | I forgot my card at home, but I think my number’s 6247. | 我把我的卡忘在家里了 我记得我的号码是 6247 |
[10:48] | – You forgot your card? – I might have lost it. | – 你忘带卡了? – 可能丢了 |
[10:50] | – Lost it? Was it temporary or laminated? – Laminated. | – 丢了?那个临时的还是那个塑封的 – 那个塑封的 |
[10:53] | – You lost a permanent card. – You can just get me a new card. | – 你把那个卡给丢了 – 你可以再给我个新的 |
[10:56] | I hope you understand the gravity of the situation. | 我希望你能了解 现在的情况有多么严重 |
[10:59] | I’m trying to grasp it. | 我试着去理解 |
[11:00] | These cards are agreements. | 那些卡片是协议 |
[11:01] | It’s an agreement between you and the video store… | 一个你和影带商店的协议 |
[11:03] | stating that you will take care of your card, honor your card… | 你应该去好好保管你的卡 珍惜你的卡 |
[11:07] | – you’ll be nice to your card… – Kirk. | – 你要善待你的卡 – Kirk |
[11:08] | – I’ll be right back. – Thanks. | – 我马上回来 – 谢谢 |
[11:10] | Hello? Reception sucks here. I’ll be right back. | 你好?这里的信号真差 我很快回来 |
[11:15] | It’ll be ready in a minute. | 马上就准备好 |
[11:17] | There were a couple of little kids over there… | 那边有几个小孩 |
[11:19] | and they were looking at this tape that’s kind of mature. | 他们在看成人影带 |
[11:22] | You might want to put that stuff on a higher shelf. | 你应该把那类的带子放的再高一些 |
[11:24] | How mature? | 有多成人呢? |
[11:25] | It’s a half-naked woman just standing there. | 一个半裸的女人站在那 |
[11:29] | – Is she a blonde? – What? | – 金发美女? – 什么? |
[11:30] | I’ll check it out right now. | 我马上去看看 |
[11:32] | Mom, I can hear you now. What’s up? | 妈妈 我能听见了 怎么了? |
[11:34] | – You have to take your father. – What? | – 你要带你爸爸出去 – 什么? |
[11:36] | Tomorrow, for the whole day. Just take him. | 带他出去一整天 |
[11:38] | – Take him where? – I don’t care. | – 带他去哪? – 我不管 |
[11:40] | The zoo, the mall, Rhode Island. Get him out of my house. | 动物园 购物中心 罗得岛 只要把他带出去 |
[11:42] | – What happened? – He’s joining my water aerobics class. | – 到底怎么了? – 他参加了我的水下有氧健身操课程 |
[11:46] | – What? – He bought some new swim trunks. | – 什么? – 他买了新的泳衣 |
[11:48] | He’s out of control. | 他失控了 |
[11:49] | – Okay, Mom, calm down. – I can’t calm down. | – 好的妈妈 先冷静点 – 我没办法冷静 |
[11:52] | I can’t turn around without him being there, following me, staring at me. | 他不处不在 跟着我 盯着我 |
[11:55] | – He likes you. – Don’t be cute. | – 他喜欢你 – 别装可爱了 |
[11:57] | The man is driving me insane. | 他快把我逼疯了 |
[11:59] | I am going to go insane. If you don’t help me, I’ll take you with me. | 我要疯了 如果你不帮我 我就带你一起体验体验 |
[12:02] | Okay, I would like to help you… | 好把我来帮你 |
[12:04] | – You owe me. – What? | – 就当你欠我的 – 什么? |
[12:06] | I pay for Rory’s school. | 我花的钱让Rory上的学 |
[12:07] | – Are you serious? – And I cosigned your loan. | – 你认真的么? – 我跟你签了联名贷款 |
[12:10] | – You have a house because of me. – Are you hearing yourself? | – 你因此保住了你的房子 – 你知道自己在说什么吗? |
[12:13] | I’m sorry, but I’m desperate. I just need one day of peace. | 我很抱歉但是我很着急 我只是想静静的呆一天 |
[12:16] | And I will do anything to get it. Anything. | 为此我愿意做任何事 任何事! |
[12:18] | Okay. Mom, fine. I’ll take him. | 好了 妈妈 我带他出去 |
[12:21] | I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this. | 我都不知道怎么感谢你了 |
[12:24] | Emily, where are you? | Emily 你在哪? |
[12:25] | – I have to go. Tomorrow morning. – Tomorrow morning. Bye. | – 我得挂了 明早见 – 明早见 拜拜 |
[12:33] | Oh, my God. The most horrible thing happened. | 哦 天啊 最可怕的事发生了 |
[12:36] | Headmaster Charleston’s office called. He’s been kidnapped. | Charleston的校长来电话了 他被绑架了 |
[12:39] | Two guys broke in, threw him in a Hefty bag… | 2个男人闯入 把他弄进了一个袋子里 |
[12:41] | used those twisty ties and carted him off. | 用绳子绑好 开车带走了 |
[12:43] | Classes have been canceled until further notice. | 学校停课了 直到有进一步的通知 |
[12:45] | I’m going to school. | 我要去学校 |
[12:46] | Rory, come on. It’s just one day. I’ll write you a note. | Rory 过来 就一天 我帮你请假 |
[12:50] | ‘Dear Nazis, Rory had to miss school today… | 亲爱的Nazis Rory今天不能去学校… |
[12:53] | ‘to save her mom from spending the entire day with her father… | 是为了拯救她的妈妈 让她不用花一整天时间… |
[12:56] | ‘who looks at her like she has three heads. ‘ | 陪着老盯着她看的父亲 |
[12:58] | Out of my way, please. | 请让开 |
[12:59] | Do you know the last time my father and I were alone for any period of time? | 你知道上次我和爸爸单独在一起是什么时候吗? |
[13:03] | I was kicked out of summer camp… | 我被踢出了夏令营 |
[13:05] | for refusing to call the camp counselor ‘Peaches. ‘ | 就因为我不叫那个老师“桃子” |
[13:08] | I thought the entire concept of counselors choosing summer-fruit names was stupid. | 我觉得他们用水果当名字很愚蠢 |
[13:12] | So they called my dad, and he came to get me… | 所以他们给我爸打电话来把我接回去 |
[13:14] | and it was just the two of us alone in the car, from Maine… | 当时车里只有我们两个人 从缅因州回来 |
[13:17] | with nothing to talk about but my camp failure. | 除了我失败的夏令营 都没有什么可谈的 |
[13:20] | Luckily, I had also flashed the swim team, or even that would have gotten stale. | 幸运的是我们还可以谈谈 游泳队里的事 尽管已是陈年往事了 |
[13:24] | I have The Franklin today. I cannot miss it. | 我今天要忙Franklin的事 不能不去的 |
[13:26] | Rory, please. | 拜托 Rory |
[13:27] | I can’t handle the entire day with him. I can’t. | 我不可能和他呆上一整天 不可能 |
[13:32] | Mom, I promise. Just make it till the afternoon… | 妈妈 我保证 和他呆到下午 |
[13:35] | and I promise I’ll come home and take grandpa off your hands. | 而且我保证 我回来接着陪外公 |
[13:38] | – It’ll be fine. – It is not going to be fine. | – 会没事的 – 不会没事的 |
[13:40] | It’s going to be horrible. | 肯定会非常可怕的 |
[13:41] | It is going to be a bad, depressing Lifetime movie… | 就像没完没了的沉闷的电影… |
[13:44] | and Nancy McKeon will be playing me. I am Jo. | Nancy McKeon扮演我 我来演Jo |
[13:47] | And that would be him. | 他来了 |
[13:48] | It’s not going to be that bad. | 没那么严重 |
[13:53] | Be nice. | 礼貌点 |
[13:55] | Very good. | 非常好 |
[13:57] | – Hi, Dad. – Hey, Grandpa. | 嗨 爸爸 嗨 外公 |
[13:58] | Good morning, girls. | 早上好 孩子们 |
[14:03] | Did you have any trouble coming? | 路上还顺利吧? |
[14:05] | Not at all. The directions were fine. | 很好 路牌标得很好 |
[14:06] | – I’ll see you this afternoon. – I look forward to it. | – 我要走了 那下午见 – 我很期待 |
[14:10] | Have fun. | 玩的开心点 |
[14:21] | – So, good drive? – Very good. | – 那么 还顺利么? – 非常顺利 |
[14:26] | Here. | 这 |
[14:33] | – Would you like some coffee? – I’m fine. | – 想来点咖啡么? – 不了 |
[14:37] | – Do you want coffee? – Yes. God, yes. Thank you. | – 你想来点咖啡么? – 是的 谢谢 |
[14:41] | Sure you don’t… | 你确定你不要 |
[14:43] | Coffee? No. | 咖啡?不 |
[14:48] | Can I offer you anything else? | 要弄点别的什么吗? |
[14:50] | Some Pop-Tarts, or… That’s pretty much it. | 来些小饼干 还有… 就这些吧 |
[14:54] | You don’t have to entertain me, Lorelai. | 你不用招待我 Lorelai |
[14:57] | I just came here to see you and your house and your town. | 我就是来看看你和你的家 还有这个小镇 |
[15:00] | You don’t have to do anything special for me. | 你不必特别为我做什么 |
[15:02] | – But you’re my guest. – No, I’m your father. | – 但是你是我的客人 – 不 我是你爸爸 |
[15:04] | Just do whatever it is you normally would do. | 你平常干什么就干什么 |
[15:07] | What I would normally do? | 我平常干什么? |
[15:09] | Yes, like for instance, this morning… | 举个例子 像今天早上 |
[15:11] | if I wasn’t here, you would wake up… | 如果我不在 你起床… |
[15:14] | obviously get some coffee, and then what? | 显然你会弄些咖啡 然后呢? |
[15:18] | I’d probably read the paper for a little while… | 我会 看会儿报纸 |
[15:20] | and then have some breakfast. | 然后吃点早餐 |
[15:22] | – Let’s read the paper, then. – Okay. Let’s read the paper. | – 那咱们来看会报纸 – 好 看会报纸 |
[15:30] | – What sections would you like? – You go first. | – 你想看哪一版 – 你先选 |
[15:32] | – I’ll take what’s left. – Okay. | – 我看剩下的 – 好的 |
[15:34] | Normally, I read the Arts & Leisure and the Lifestyles. | 我一般都看艺术 休闲 生活 |
[15:39] | Perfect. | 太好了 |
[15:40] | That leaves Business, Sports, and World News. | 那就剩商务 体育和世界新闻了 |
[15:45] | – That worked out well. – Yes, it did, didn’t it? | -分配的不错么 -是啊 不是么? |
[15:51] | Well, this is it. Luke’s. | 这个是Luke的店 |
[15:54] | You know, when I was in college, there was this horrible little diner… | 你知道么 我上大学时有个非常差的小餐馆 |
[15:58] | across from my apartment building. | 就在我宿舍的前面 |
[16:00] | It was run by this terrible little couple. | 一对可怕的年轻夫妇开的 |
[16:03] | They were very angry. | 他们非常容易生气 |
[16:05] | They would fight, break plates, curse. | 他们打架 摔盘子 对骂 |
[16:09] | And I went in there every morning for three years… | 我每天早上都去 这样维持了三年 |
[16:12] | and I had the most dreadful breakfasts. Just awful. | 那是我吃过最糟糕的早餐 想起来都恶心 |
[16:15] | I really miss that place. | 我真怀念那个地方 |
[16:16] | – Morning. – Luke, you remember my father. | -早上好 -Luke你记得我爸爸么? |
[16:19] | – Nice to see you again. – Nice to see you. | – 很高兴又见到你 – 很高兴见到你 |
[16:21] | – Quite a place you’ve got here. – It pays the bills. | – 这地方不错 – 挣点小钱 |
[16:24] | Always a plus in business. | 总是能赚钱 |
[16:25] | – Dad, do you know what you want? – I already ate. | – 爸爸 你想要吃点什么? – 我吃过了 |
[16:28] | You did? When? | 你吃过了? 什么时候 |
[16:29] | I had breakfast at home. I get up at 5:30 every morning. | 我在家吃的 我每天早上5点半起床 |
[16:32] | Wow. Why? | 哇 为什么? |
[16:33] | I’ve gotten up at 5:30 for as long as I can remember. | 从我懂事的时候起 我就5点半起床 |
[16:36] | That was when you had to work. You can afford to get a little crazy. | 那时候你开始工作 你有点神经质了 |
[16:39] | – Get up at 5:45. – Go ahead and order, Lorelai. | – 5点45起床 – 继续,点吧 lorelai |
[16:42] | I’ll have the banana pancakes, side of bacon, and lots of coffee. | 我来点香蕉蛋糕 再来点熏肉和大杯咖啡 |
[16:46] | Coming right up. | 马上来 |
[16:48] | – You didn’t order any grapefruit. – I don’t like grapefruit. | – 你不想来点柚子? – 我不喜欢柚子 |
[16:51] | I always start my breakfast with half a grapefruit. | 我在吃早餐前总是先吃半颗柚子 |
[16:53] | Do the Florida people know about you? | 佛罗里达人认识你么? |
[16:55] | Anita Bryant left this huge gap that has yet to be filled. | Anita Beyant 留下了这个大漏洞 |
[16:58] | It’s important to start the day off correctly. | 这很重要 正确的开始新的假日 |
[17:01] | A grapefruit is brain food. | 柚子是很好的水果 |
[17:03] | It has vitamin C and folic acid, and it helps with your digestion. | 含有很多维生素C 维生素CB 可以帮助消化 |
[17:07] | – It really is a terrific fruit. – I feel like you’re about to break into song. | – 真是非常好的水果 – 我想你可以为它编首歌了 |
[17:10] | – I’m serious about this. – But I still don’t like grapefruit. | – 我是认真的 – 但是我还是不喜欢柚子 |
[17:14] | There are many things in life that we don’t like… | 生活中总是有很多我们不喜欢的事 |
[17:17] | but their benefits far outweigh the temporary discomforts… | 但是好处远远超过了 那些事物给我们带来的暂时的反感 |
[17:19] | – we have to endure. – Hold on a sec. | – 我们必须去忍受 – 稍微等等 |
[17:25] | – I need a grapefruit. – What? | – 我想来个柚子尝尝 – 什么? |
[17:27] | Before my pancakes this morning, I need half a grapefruit… | 在我考薄饼上来之前 需要来半个柚子 |
[17:30] | preferably one that tastes like a doughnut. | 味道就像炸甜圈那种的 |
[17:32] | – I don’t have grapefruit. – How come? | – 我没有柚子 – 怎么会? |
[17:34] | – I’ve never had grapefruit. – I need a… | – 我从来没卖过柚子 – 我需要一个 |
[17:36] | Listen. I have my father with me all day. | 听着 我爸爸要和我呆上一整天 |
[17:39] | So far, there’s been no major drama, yelling, ugliness… | 到目前为止 不是在演戏 叫喊 丑陋 |
[17:42] | but there will be if I don’t find a way to get half a grapefruit for breakfast. | 如果我不在早餐前来点柚子 就会有人喊了 |
[17:46] | I could go next door to Doose’s and buy a grapefruit. | 我可以去隔壁买点柚子 |
[17:49] | – I’d be eternally grateful. – I’ll be right back. | – 非常感谢 – 我很快回来 |
[17:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[17:57] | – Okay, the grapefruit is coming. – You won’t be sorry. | – 好 柚子来拉 – 你不会失望的 |
[18:01] | So, listen, I was thinking… | 听着 我在想 |
[18:04] | maybe after we’re done here, you might like to walk around town… | 我们吃完以后 你也许会想到小镇里走走 |
[18:07] | see the sights, and Rory usually gets home around 4:00. | 看看风景 Rory通常4点左右就回来了 |
[18:10] | The two of you could hang out until I get off work… | 你们两个可以出去逛逛 直到我下班回来 |
[18:13] | the three of us could meet for dinner. How does that sound? | 咱们可以一起吃晚餐 你们觉得怎么样 |
[18:16] | – Very sensible. – I had to make up for my shoes. | – 很合理 – 我的去给鞋打打油 |
[18:19] | – Is that your second cup of coffee? – Third. Why? | – 这是你的第2杯咖啡么? – 第三杯 怎么了? |
[18:22] | No reason. | 没事 |
[18:25] | It’s a lot of coffee, first thing in the morning. | 早上第一件事就是多喝点咖啡 |
[18:32] | – You’ve got to stop doing that. – I’ve been doing some research… | – 你不要那样了 – 我找了些相关的资料 |
[18:35] | on the Oppenheimer Award and noticed something. | 一些关于Oppenheimer奖的事 [奥本海默,1904-1967, 美国原子物理学家, 原子弹计划主持人] |
[18:37] | The winning schools had an extremely strong human-interest story on page 1. | 冠军学校的头版 非常有人情味的故事 |
[18:41] | That’s what we need. We’ve got the teen issues down… | 那正是我们需要的 我们要降低年轻人的犯罪率 |
[18:44] | a decent op-ed and political page, but human interest? | 一份得体的开场 收尾加上政治版面 要有人情味 |
[18:47] | – That’s what we’re missing. – Ideas? | – 那就是我们缺少的 – 意见呢? |
[18:49] | – Yes. – Do tell. | – 是的 – 说出来 |
[18:50] | According to the papers, there’s been a huge increase… | 根据报纸 很明显这是个很大的增长 |
[18:52] | in the number of families fleeing the major cities for small towns. | 从一些家庭成员从城市逃到小镇的数字来看 |
[18:55] | Hundreds of thousands of city-slicking yuppies… | 成千上万的城里佬… |
[18:58] | carting the trophy wife and asthmatic kids off to small towns… | 把那些有哮喘病的孩子 和那些少妇都扔上车送到小镇去 |
[19:01] | in search of the simple life. | 以寻找简单些的生活 |
[19:02] | – Milk a cow, pet a pig, find yourself. – Interesting. | – 挤奶 喂猪 找到自我 – 有意思 |
[19:06] | And I thought about it. There’s a romantic aspect to small towns. | 我想了想 小镇也有浪漫的一面 |
[19:09] | White picket fences, low crime rate… | 有着白色的木围栏 犯罪率低 |
[19:12] | smaller classrooms, better tomatoes. It all seems perfect. | 学校小班上课 土豆新鲜 所有的一切都似乎是那么的完美 |
[19:15] | But nothing is perfect. Nothing is safe. | 但是没有事情是完美的 世事无绝对 |
[19:17] | Nothing is ever what it seems. And then it hit me. Our story. | 事情都不是表面看上去的那样 这打动了我 这就是我们的素材 |
[19:21] | We’re going to blow the lid off the seedy underbelly of small-town life… | 我们要揭发小镇生活 表象之后的丑陋一面 |
[19:24] | – starting with yours. – Stars Hollow? | -从你的小镇开始吧 -你是说Stars Hollow镇? |
[19:27] | You’re going to uncover the seedy underbelly of Stars Hollow? | 你将要去揭露Stars Hollow镇 小镇生活的丑陋的一面 |
[19:31] | Stars Hollow doesn’t have a seedy underbelly. | Stars Hollow镇没有什么丑陋的一面 |
[19:33] | We don’t even have a meter maid. | 镇上甚至连开停车罚单的女警都没有 |
[19:35] | You may be blind to it because you live there… | 你可能因为住在那而被蒙蔽了 |
[19:37] | but it’s there and it’s ugly, and I’m going to find it. | 但是肯定有丑陋一面存在 而我将把它找出来 |
[19:40] | – I’ll meet you out front after school. – Not today. | -放学后我在校门口等你 -今天不行 |
[19:42] | Why not? You hiding something? | 为什么不行 你有什么事情瞒我吗 |
[19:44] | I promised to help my mom with something. | 我答应今天帮妈妈忙 |
[19:46] | Help her tomorrow. We have work to do. | 明天帮她吧 今天我们要做事 |
[19:49] | This could be our chance to nail this. | 这可能是我们揭发丑恶的机会 |
[19:50] | I have a hunch there’s a good story here, and I’m going to find it. | 我预感这里一定有一个好故事 而我则要把它找出来 |
[19:54] | I was even going to share a byline with you. | 我本来希望和你一起在报道上署上我们 俩的名字 |
[19:56] | But if you want to bail out, that’s fine. | 但是如果你想退出的话 那也没关系 |
[19:58] | Am I meeting you or not? | 那我们放学后是不是见面呢 |
[19:59] | I don’t think you’re gonna find anything. | 我认为你不会有发现的 |
[20:02] | Then the worst that can happen is I spend time in your town… | 可能发生的最糟糕的事是我会在 你们镇上呆下去 |
[20:05] | and have an urge to enter a pie in the county fair. | 并且有了参加你们乡镇集会的冲动 |
[20:07] | I’ll meet you out front. Don’t be late. | 我在校门口等你 不要迟到 |
[20:12] | As soon as I can, I will send someone up. Yes, I will. | 我会尽快派人上来的 是的 我保证 |
[20:16] | I understand. | 我明白 明白 明白… |
[20:26] | I understand. Goodbye. | 我明白 再见 |
[20:28] | – What do you understand? – I have no idea. | -你明白了什么 -我也不知道 |
[20:30] | I tuned them out at the first screech. | 听到电话里第一声尖叫我就掐掉了 |
[20:32] | – Have we heard from Manny yet? – No, and I have paged him twice. | -今天你找到过Manny吗 -没有 我找过他两次了 |
[20:35] | We only have enough linen for one seating. Hand me the phone. | 我们只有一套床单了 给我电话 |
[20:38] | Plus, we are completely out of clean towels. | 还有 我们干净毛巾也用完了 |
[20:43] | Hi, Sophie, it’s Lorelai. I need to talk to Manny. | 嗨 Sophie 我是Lorelai 请让Manny听一下电话 |
[20:46] | When will he be back? | 他什么时候回来 |
[20:48] | Okay, I need him to call me really soon. Like five minutes ago. | 好的 我要他尽快给我打过来 比如,五分钟之前 |
[20:51] | Okay. Thanks. We need a backup plan. | 好的 谢谢 我们需要一个备用方案 |
[20:54] | Call Patty’s and see if she has any party-rental tablecloths… | 打电话给Patty看看她是否有 派对租用桌布 |
[20:57] | and then pull all the towels from the pool… | 把所有的毛巾都从水池里捞上来 |
[20:59] | and call Gandalfi’s and order a case of champagne. | 打电话给Ganddalfi要一箱香槟 |
[21:01] | Send a bottle to every room that’s towelless. | 给每个没毛巾的房间送一瓶香槟 |
[21:04] | Page him every two minutes. No! | 每两分钟打他电话一次 哦不 |
[21:06] | Hi, Dad. What are you doing? | 嗨 爸爸 你来这做什么 |
[21:08] | – I thought you were gonna tour the town. – I did. | -我以为你会在镇上逛一圈 -我逛过了 |
[21:11] | I went into all the stores. The cat one, twice. | 所有的商店我都进去过了 那家有猫的去了两次 |
[21:15] | And then I walked around a little, and then I was done. | 接下去我又四处闲逛了一会 就把小镇逛完了 |
[21:17] | – What about the park? See the park? – Yes, I saw the park. | -公园呢 去过公园了吗 -是的 我看过了 |
[21:20] | What about the giant slinky? We’re mighty proud of that. | 那么giant slinky呢 它是我们的骄傲 |
[21:23] | I saw the slinky, yes, and the 100-year-old oak tree… | 我看到它了 对的 还有那棵百年老橡树 |
[21:27] | and the life-size yarn person. | 和那个真人大小的传奇人物塑像 |
[21:29] | I even stopped by your house and had Babbette introduce me to all her gnomes. | 我甚至路过你房子的时候又去看了看 看了所有我能看的东西 |
[21:33] | And then I realized the only thing I had not seen… | 然后我意识到还有一样东西我没有看过 |
[21:36] | is my daughter at work. | 那就是我女儿工作时的样子 |
[21:38] | Watching me at work is not very interesting. Trust me. | 看我工作绝对不好玩 相信我 |
[21:40] | You underestimate yourself. | 你低估你自己了 |
[21:42] | Okay, there’s books on the shelves over there. | 好吧 那边架子上有些书 |
[21:45] | I have my newspaper. I’m fine. | 我带了报纸 |
[21:46] | All right, I’m just gonna… | 好吧 我只是想要 |
[21:48] | – What’s the matter? – Is your jacket in the back? | -怎么了 -你的制服放在后面吗 |
[21:51] | – Your work jacket. – I don’t have a work jacket. | -我是说你的工作制服 -我没有什么工作制服 |
[21:53] | – That’s your working outfit? – Yeah. | -这就是你工作装? -对啊 |
[21:55] | And your boss doesn’t mind? | 你的老板不介意吗 |
[21:56] | Considering my boss is me, no, she doesn’t. | 鉴于老板是我自己 所以她并不介意 |
[21:59] | She did at first, but then I bought her a cup of coffee, I realized… | 她一开始确实介意 后来一次我买了杯 咖啡给她并且发现 |
[22:02] | all the hostility she was expressing toward me was just jealousy. | 她所有的敌意都缘于对我的嫉妒 |
[22:06] | We’ve been best friends ever since. Take a seat, Dad. | 从此之后我们就是好朋友了 坐吧 爸爸 |
[22:10] | Will you get me an extra bottle of champagne… | 你能多给我一瓶香槟吗 |
[22:12] | – and smack me over the head with it? – Absolutely. | -然后用它敲我的脑袋 -没有问题 |
[22:15] | Independence Inn. | 你好 这里是独立旅店 |
[22:17] | Sit down, breathe, remember you’re at work… | 请你坐下 深呼吸 并且记得你在工作 |
[22:19] | – so screaming and crying is not an option. – What are you doing? | -因此你现在不可以大哭大叫 -你在做什么 |
[22:22] | – I can’t meet you after school. – What? You promised. | -我不能下课后来见你了 -什么 你保证过的 |
[22:24] | I have to work on a story for The Franklin. I tried to get out of it, but couldn’t. | 我要为Franklin报做报道 我本想摆脱的 但是不行 |
[22:29] | – Great. – I’m sorry. | -好极了 -对不起 |
[22:30] | No. School comes before Mommy’s mental health. | 没有关系 学校的事情比妈妈的 精神状况重要 |
[22:33] | Tell Grandpa to wander around for a while. | 让外公自己到处逛一会 |
[22:36] | – He already did. – Did he see the slinky? | -他已经逛过了 -他有没有去看过slinky? |
[22:37] | Yes, he saw the slinky. He’s here now. He hates my shirt. | 他看过了 他现在已经在我这里了 他讨厌我的衬衫 |
[22:41] | Give him a book, have Sookie make him lunch… | 给他一本书 让Sookie给他做午饭 |
[22:44] | I swear I’ll be home by dinner, and you won’t have to say a word. | 我保证我会在晚餐前到家 到时候你就 不用说话了 |
[22:51] | – I think I got rabies. – It’s just a bus. | -我想我大概是得狂犬病了 -这只是一辆巴士 |
[22:54] | – It smelled. – Like a bus. | -它有一股味道 -这就是巴士的味道 |
[22:55] | I’ll have to burn my clothes. | 我不得不把这件衣服烧掉了 |
[22:57] | You have a car. We could have driven. | 你有车子的 我们完全可以开车出来的 |
[22:59] | We have to get the feel of the small-town world. | 我们必须亲自来体验一下小镇的生活 |
[23:02] | We won’t get the feel of a small town in a BMW. | 我们在宝马车里是体验不到小镇生活的 |
[23:04] | – Is there something crawling in my hair? – Where do you want to go? | -我头发里有什么东西在爬吗? -你要去哪里? |
[23:08] | I don’t know. Where’s the bad part of town? | 我不知道 小镇丑陋的一面在哪里? |
[23:10] | – Over there. – What? | -在那里 -什么东西 |
[23:12] | People. They’re very upset with the color of that fence. | 人们 他们对那种颜色的围栏十分沮丧 |
[23:16] | This is the town, Paris. | 这就是小镇 Paris |
[23:18] | It’s not seedy, it’s not run-down. It’s just Stars Hollow. | 这儿并不肮脏 并不破败 这儿只是Stars Hollow小镇 |
[23:21] | – Where’s the local bar? – In Woodbridge. | -这儿的酒吧在那里 -在Woodbridge |
[23:23] | – Why aren’t you helping? – I’m trying. | -你为什么不协助我 -我正在努力协助你 |
[23:24] | You’re looking for something that’s not here. | 你正在找一些这里没有的东西 |
[23:26] | – What’s this? – Luke’s Diner. | -这是什么地方 -Luke的餐馆 |
[23:28] | Diner? Okay, good. | 餐馆 好的 |
[23:39] | What are you doing? | 你想做什么 |
[23:40] | Trying just to blend in, fade away, observe. | 努力融入这里 观察这里 |
[23:43] | – Rory, coffee? – Thanks, Luke. | -Rory,来一杯咖啡吗 -谢谢Luke |
[23:45] | – Who’s your friend? – Angela Lansbury. | -你的朋友? -Angela Lansbury(著名影星) |
[23:48] | – You’re the owner here? – Yes. Want some coffee? | -你是老板? -对 来一些咖啡吗? |
[23:50] | – No, thanks. So, you run the diner? – Oh, boy. | -不 谢谢 你是老板 -天 |
[23:53] | – You get a lot of truckers through here? – Truckers? | -你这儿有很多卡车司机吗? -卡车司机? |
[23:56] | Guys on the road for weeks, lonely, looking for company… | 那些长期在路上行驶 孤独地寻找着同行的伴侣 |
[23:59] | a little pick-me-up? | 常常愿意载人一程的人? |
[24:00] | – What’s she talking about? – Your guess is as good as mine. | -她在说什么 -我和你一样不能理解 |
[24:02] | It’s common knowledge that diners are breeding grounds… | 这是常识 小餐馆是一个温床 |
[24:05] | – for prostitution and drug dealers. – What? | -滋生了妓女和毒贩子 -什么 |
[24:07] | Have you ever seen anything like that? | 你有没有看到过这样的事情呢 |
[24:09] | What about that guy over there? What’s his story? | 坐在那边那个人怎么样 他有没有什么 故事 |
[24:11] | Reverend Nichols? | |
[24:13] | Reverend Nichols? Is that like Dr. Feelgood? | Reverend Nichols?阿 像Dr.Feelgood一样吗 [注:Dr.Feelgood 常用来指开过量精神药物的医生] |
[24:15] | – How much do you like her? – Do what you got to do. | – Rory 你和她关系怎么样 – 你不必考虑我的因素 |
[24:18] | Where did he come from? What’s up there? | 他是从哪里来的 他在那里做什么 |
[24:20] | Is that where you keep the girls? You got a little cathouse? | 这儿就是你关那些女孩子的地方吗 你有一个小妓院对吧 |
[24:23] | I think she got you, Uncle Luke. Give up now. | 我想她发现你的秘密了 Luke叔叔 你最好现在弃恶从善 |
[24:25] | Do not add to this insanity. | 不要搭理这个疯子 |
[24:27] | An innocent boy like me should not be raised in an atmosphere like this. | 像我这样无辜的孩子不应该在这种环境中 长大 |
[24:30] | I want to be good. Life’s just not letting me. | 我想要好好做人 可是生活就是不让 |
[24:32] | – Get her out of here. – Okay. Let’s go. | -让她出去 -好的 我们走吧 |
[24:34] | Why do you need me to leave? What have you got to hide? | 你为什么要我走开 你到底在隐藏什么 |
[24:37] | Paris, let’s go. | Paris 我们走吧 |
[24:39] | – We’re aware of it. – We’re working on it. | -我们已经意识到了这点 -我们正在做 |
[24:42] | As soon as the towels arrive, your room will get the first one. | 只要毛巾一到 我们先给你送过去 |
[24:45] | No one gets a towel before you do. | 我们会第一个给你送去 |
[24:47] | Did you get the complimentary champagne? | 你受到我们免费赠送的香槟了吗 |
[24:49] | Just open the champagne and drink, relax, enjoy. | 你可以打开香槟喝上一口 放松享受一下 |
[24:51] | Of course it’s free. | 当然 它是免费的 |
[24:53] | – We’ll call you soon. – Talk to you soon. | -我待会再打给你 -待会联系你 |
[24:56] | – I’m killing Manny. – I’m helping. | -我要杀了Manny -我来帮你 |
[24:57] | I’m gonna strangle him with one of his own towels. | 我要绞死他 用他的一根毛巾 |
[25:00] | – Lorelai? – Yeah, Dad? | -怎么了 爸爸 |
[25:02] | You realize there are no tablecloths in the dining room? | 你没有意识到餐厅里没有桌布了吗 |
[25:05] | I do. We’re having a problem with our linen delivery. | 我意识到了 我们的床单桌布的 运送出了点问题 |
[25:07] | It doesn’t look very professional. | 这看上去不是非常专业 |
[25:09] | – It’s Manny. – I have to take this, Dad. | -Manny的电话 -爸爸 我要接下这个电话 |
[25:13] | Manny, my mysterious man, where have you been? | Manny 我的神秘男子 你到哪里去了 |
[25:16] | Me, Manny? I’m just a desperate woman. Yes. | 我? Manny 我只是一个快要发疯 的女人 是的 |
[25:18] | I know you have many problems, but I have to have some towels or linens… | 我知道你那儿出了状况 但是我需要 一些毛巾和床单 |
[25:22] | or I’m gonna be lying on the street, talking about the inn I used to work at. | 不然我要去睡大街了 和别人说这是 我曾经工作过的旅店 |
[25:26] | You don’t want that, do you? | 你也不想我这样的对吧 |
[25:29] | Anything you can do to get me through the night. | 无论如何你都要帮我撑过这晚 |
[25:33] | Manny, I love you. You rock. I am devoted to you. | Manny 我爱你 你真棒 我爱你 |
[25:36] | I’m never gonna look at another towel without thinking of you. | 从此以后我看到毛巾就会想到你 |
[25:40] | Thank you. Bye, stud. | 谢谢 再见 伙计 |
[25:42] | – He’ll be here in 20 minutes. – Lorelai. | -他在20分钟内到 |
[25:45] | – Yes, Dad? – May I speak to you for a moment? | -什么事 爸爸 -我可以和你谈一会吗 |
[25:48] | Someone is in trouble. | 有人有麻烦了 |
[25:52] | Is something wrong, Dad? | 有什么不对的吗 爸爸 |
[25:53] | Was that a business call I just overheard there? | 我刚刚听到的是一个公务电话吗 |
[25:56] | That was my linen delivery guy. | 那是负责床单运送家伙的电话 |
[25:58] | – So it was a business call? – Yes, it was a business call. | -那么就是一个公务电话喽 -是的 是一个公务电话 |
[26:01] | And that’s how you handle a business call? | 那就是你对待公务电话的方式吗 |
[26:04] | I’ve known Manny for 10 years, Dad. | 我和Manny认识了10年了 |
[26:06] | I don’t care how long you’ve known him. | 我不管你认识他多久 |
[26:07] | You never talk to a business associate like that… | 你绝不应该和一个商业伙伴这样说话 |
[26:10] | – especially not one that you employ. – Okay, Dad. | -尤其是你雇佣的那些人 -好的 爸爸 |
[26:12] | – These people have to respect you. – He does respect me. | -这些人应该尊重你 -他确实尊重我 |
[26:15] | You were flirting with him. | 可你和他在调情 |
[26:16] | I said what I had to say in order to get the linen before somebody else did… | 我说了我必须说的 为了在某人 之前得到床单 |
[26:20] | – and I did, so I won. – This isn’t about winning. | -我做到了 我成功了 -这不是管乎于成功与否 |
[26:23] | This is about proper procedure. You need to listen to me, Lorelai. | 这是和正确的程序有关 你应该 听一听我所说的 Lorelai |
[26:27] | If there is one thing I know about, it is the correct way to conduct yourself… | 我所知道的就是你应该 |
[26:31] | in a position of authority. | 以一种符合你身份的方式去处理问题 |
[26:32] | Do you understand what I’m trying to tell you? | 你明不明白我在说什么 |
[26:36] | Because I’m only telling you this for your own good. | 因为我是为了你好才这样说的 |
[26:41] | All right. Go back to work. | 好了 回去工作吧 |
[26:44] | I’ll be right here if you need me. | 如果你需要我 我就在那儿 |
[26:47] | Okey-dokey. | 好的 |
[26:58] | Nothing. Not even a cigarette butt on the ground. | 什么也没有 地上连一个烟蒂都没有 |
[27:01] | This town would make Frank Capra want to throw up. | 换了Frank Capra是我都会想放弃 [注:Frank Capra 弗兰克・卡普拉著名导演 曾获奥斯卡奖] |
[27:03] | – Sorry, I tried to tell you. – I know. It’s just I was so sure. | -抱歉 我以前试着告诉过你 -我知道 只是我那时太过于肯定 |
[27:07] | We’ll think of something else to write about. | 我们想一些其他的东西来写吧 |
[27:10] | – We’re not going to lose. – There she is. The girl of the moment. | -我们不会输的 -那个女孩在那里 今日之星 |
[27:14] | – You, young lady, are my hero. – Why is that, Taylor? | -你 小姐 是我的大英雄 -为什么 Taylor |
[27:17] | Because in this day and age… | 因为在这个年代 |
[27:19] | when the kids are willy-nilly with their clothes, hair and morals… | 孩子们对他们的衣服头发 道德都懵懂无知 |
[27:22] | it is heartwarming to see a sensible girl like you still exists. | 看到有你这样明智的女孩 实在是让人感到很温暖 |
[27:27] | A girl who has the gumption and guts to stand up and say: | 一个有气概和胆识的女孩 能够 站出来说 |
[27:30] | ‘Why are we allowing this trash out where all our children can see it?’ | 为什么我们要让这些视觉垃圾四处存 在于孩子可以看得到的地方 |
[27:33] | – And a few selected adults also. – What are you talking about? | -同时一些优秀的成年人也能做到这点 -你们到底在说什么 |
[27:36] | Come on in and see for yourself. | 进来亲自看看吧 |
[27:41] | What happened? Where is everything? | 发生什么了 东西都到哪里去了 |
[27:43] | Thanks to your brilliant suggestion… | 非常感谢你的建议 |
[27:46] | they are all safely stashed behind ‘the Rory curtain. ‘ | 它们都被安全得藏在 ‘Rory窗帘’之后 |
[27:49] | – The what? – It seemed fitting to name it after you. | -什么窗帘? -以你名字命名的帘子 |
[27:52] | No. I don’t want a Rory curtain. I never asked for it. | 不 我不想要’Rory窗帘’ 我没有要求你们做这个 |
[27:56] | You told me to put that movie where the kids couldn’t see it. | 你告诉我把电影放到 孩子们看不到的地方 |
[27:58] | You did? | 你真的这样说了吗 |
[28:00] | I just meant to put it on a higher shelf, not to get fabric involved. | 是的 但是我的意思是把它放到 高一点的架上而不是拿块帘子遮 |
[28:04] | This is much better than a higher shelf. | 这要比方到高一点的架子上要好多了 |
[28:06] | Now all the movies that we deem objectionable… | 现在所有我们认为 是少儿不宜的片子 |
[28:09] | will be safely hidden from the eyes of the children. | 都被藏起来远离了孩子们的视线 |
[28:12] | Plus, it’ll make adults think twice before they go back there. | 此外 这可以让成年人在 进去之前多考虑下 |
[28:15] | No. I did not mean to do this. | 不 我没有想要这样做 |
[28:17] | What are you doing? | 你在做什么 |
[28:18] | – This is it. – What? | -就是它了 -什么 |
[28:20] | Our story. Censorship in a small town. It’s perfect. | 我们的新闻故事 小镇的审查制度 太完美了 |
[28:23] | You know I don’t believe in censorship. | 你知道我不相信审查制度的 |
[28:25] | Even better. ‘Small-town minds run amok. ‘ | 这更好 小镇镇民的异想天开 |
[28:27] | This is genius. It’s gold. We’re going to win. | 对那些是本能 天上掉金子 我们为什么不要 |
[28:30] | Taylor, on the record, how long have you been working here? | Taylor 根据记录 你在这里工作了多久? |
[28:35] | Rory, we’re home. | Rory 我们到家了 |
[28:37] | Next time, stop the car completely before you get out. | 下次 你一定要等车停下来再下车 |
[28:39] | – Rory, for the love of God, be home. – I’m here. | – Rory 看在我爱上帝的份上 在家吗? – 我在 |
[28:42] | Sorry. I was on the phone. How was your… | 对不起 我前面在打电话 你怎么了? |
[28:44] | I don’t think I’ve ever loved you quite as much as I love you right now. | 我从来没像现在这样爱你 |
[28:48] | Ribs cracking. Organs crushing. | 爱得肋骨裂痕 内脏受损 |
[28:50] | Yeah, well, love hurts. | 哦 看来你爱的太伤人了 |
[28:55] | – Lovely to see you, Rory. – How was your day? | – 看到你真好 Rory – 今天过的好吗? |
[28:57] | It was very pleasant. | 当然 |
[28:58] | – I heard you saw Mom in action. – Yes, he did. | – 我听说你看到妈妈做事了 – 是的 他看到了 |
[29:01] | – She’s great, isn’t she? – She’s spirited. | – 她很棒 不是吗! – 她很有激情 |
[29:05] | – Spirited. – Spirited is nice. | – 有激情 – 有激情好啊 |
[29:07] | Let’s talk dinner. How about Chinese? | 让我们说说晚上吃什么!中餐怎么样? |
[29:09] | – Very spirited food. – Do you like Chinese food? | – 真是有激情的美食啊 – 你喜欢吗? |
[29:12] | If prepared properly, I like it very much. | 如果做得好 我会非常喜欢的 |
[29:14] | – I’ll go call Al’s. – Al’s? | – 那我去打电话给AL |
[29:17] | Al’s Pancake World. | “Al烤薄饼世界” |
[29:19] | I thought you said we were having Chinese food. | 我记得前面你说吃中餐 |
[29:22] | Al’s has the best Egg Foo Young in Stars Hollow. | Al的芙蓉蛋是Stars Hollow做得最好的 |
[29:24] | Is that saying anything? | 还有其他的吗? |
[29:26] | Rory, come entertain your grandpa while your spirited mommy orders, please. | Rory 快来陪你外公 你激情的妈妈要订外卖了 |
[29:30] | Grandpa, do you want to see my room? | 外公 你想不想看看我的房间? |
[29:33] | Yes, I would. | 好啊 |
[29:37] | – $20 if you lock him in there. – $30 if you chill. | – 你能让他呆在那给你20块 – 给你30如果你能冷静下来 |
[29:41] | – Interesting. – What are you doing? | – 有意思 – 在干什么呢? |
[29:44] | There are some holes in your collection here… | 你的收藏不是很完整… |
[29:46] | and I’m just making a list to fill them. | 我写一张补充表 |
[29:49] | These aren’t all of my books. | 这里不是我全部的书 |
[29:53] | My goodness. | 我的天 |
[29:56] | And… | 还有 |
[30:03] | Possibly, I should concentrate on acquiring you a bookcase first. | 也许我应该给你买个书柜 |
[30:06] | That’s okay. I kind of like my system. | 我喜欢我的方式 |
[30:09] | – Organized chaos? – Exactly. | – 组织混乱吗? – 是的 |
[30:11] | Very well. Carry on. | 那很好 继续保持 |
[30:14] | I’m glad not to see any death rockers on your walls. | 我很高兴没有 在你的墙上看到“死亡摇滚” |
[30:18] | Where did you learn the term ‘death rockers’? | 你是从哪听到“死亡摇滚”的? |
[30:20] | I’m not entirely unfamiliar with the music world in which you live. | 我对你的音乐世界不完全了解 |
[30:23] | I don’t exactly live in the death-rock world. | 我没有住在死亡摇滚的世界里 |
[30:26] | If I do move there, I will send you a card. | 如果我搬到那里 会寄卡片给你的 |
[30:28] | I appreciate that. | 我很乐意收到 |
[30:31] | – Harvard. – Yeah. | – 哈佛 – 是的 |
[30:33] | We started the obsession board a few years ago. | 我们几年就开始对哈佛着魔了 |
[30:35] | When we took that trip to Harvard… | 当我们去参观哈佛 |
[30:37] | the student store was having a two-for-one flag sale… | 学生商店有买一送一的旗帜出售 |
[30:39] | so that sent us into the final stage of the psychosis. | 这最终导致了我们的精神疾病 |
[30:42] | Hospitals were called, medications were prescribed. | 医院也问了 药也开了 |
[30:44] | There is no cure. | 可那是无药可救的 |
[30:45] | Okay, I made the menu for the evening. | 好了 我已经写好了今天的菜单 |
[30:48] | My God. | 我的天 |
[30:49] | – Looks good. – Who could eat all that food? | – 看上去不错 – 我们吃得完吗? |
[30:51] | – I almost added the garlic chicken. – Add it. | – 我还想加上蒜炒鸡 – 加吧! |
[30:53] | – There are only three of us. – Yes, but we like choices. | – 我们只有三个人 – 是的 但是我们可以选择自己爱吃的 |
[30:56] | Let’s call. I’m starved. | 打电话吧 我饿了 |
[31:01] | Lorelai, you cannot order all that food. | Lorelai 你不能叫这么多吃的 |
[31:03] | You’re teaching your daughter wastefulness and gluttony. | 你正在教你的女儿浪费和贪食 |
[31:06] | Dad, we do this all the time. | 爸爸 我们经常这样 |
[31:08] | We order way too much and eat a third of it… | 我们点得那么多只能吃掉三分之一 |
[31:10] | and eat leftovers for more than a week. Finely honed system. | 剩下的可以吃一个多星期 最后剩的倒掉 |
[31:13] | Now please just sit and read something or watch TV. | 现在 你只要坐着看看书 或者看看电视 |
[31:22] | I noticed all the Harvard paraphernalia in Rory’s room. | 我注意到Rory的房间里有全套的哈佛装备 |
[31:25] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[31:26] | You might not want to get her settled on one specific college quite so soon. | 你不能这么快就把她 固定在一个特定的学校里 |
[31:29] | – Why not? – She’s young. | – 为什么? – 她还年轻 |
[31:31] | – She hasn’t investigated her options. – She wants to go to Harvard. | – 她还不知道自己想进哪所 – 她想去哈佛 |
[31:35] | – Because she thinks you want her to. – I do. | – 那是因为她知道你想让她去 – 是的 |
[31:37] | There are a lot of other good schools. You know, I went to Yale. | 还有其他好的学校 我上的是耶鲁 |
[31:41] | – Yes, I do know. – Yale is a very fine school. | – 是的 我知道 – 耶鲁是所不错的学校 |
[31:44] | Some might argue a better school than Harvard. | 有人争论说它比哈佛还好 |
[31:46] | – Some, meaning you? – I just think Rory should explore it. | 有人 是你吗? 我只是觉得Rory应该考虑一下 |
[31:49] | I can make some calls, and set up an appointment. | 我可以打个电话 然后做个预约 |
[31:51] | – No. – Why not? | – 不用了 – 为什么? |
[31:53] | – She wants to go to Harvard. – That’s ridiculous. | – 她只想去哈佛 – 荒谬 |
[31:55] | – Who’s going to help her get into Harvard? – Reese Witherspoon. | – 是谁可以帮她进哈佛 |
[31:58] | I am a Yale alumnus. I give money to that school. | 我是耶鲁的毕业生 我给过那所学校不少钱 |
[32:01] | Getting her in will be a breeze. | 让她进去轻而易举(a breeze) |
[32:03] | We don’t like breezes. They mess up our hair. | 我们不要微风(breeze) 它们会把我们的头发弄乱 [注:breeze有“轻而易举的事”和“微风”两个常用意思] |
[32:05] | – Do not be petulant. – Do not pick a fight with me. | – 别使性子 – 别跟我吵 爸爸 |
[32:08] | This is not about you. This is about Rory. | 这不是你的事 这是Rory的事 |
[32:10] | No, this is about Richard interfering. | 不 这关系着是不是妨碍Richard |
[32:13] | Please, just let me handle this. | 求你 让我来解决这件事 |
[32:15] | I know more about the Ivy League system than you do. | 常春藤名校我比你了解的多 |
[32:18] | – Is that the food already? – No, sweets, I haven’t ordered yet. | – 食物准备好了吗? – 没有 亲爱的 我还没订呢 |
[32:21] | – Oh, my God. – Who is it? | – 哦 我的天 – 是谁? |
[32:28] | – Oh, my God. – What are you doing? | – 哦 我的天 – 你干什么? |
[32:31] | – Just standing here. – Next to? | – 就是站这 – 后面是? |
[32:32] | – A car. Your car. – No. | – 车 你的 – 不是 |
[32:35] | – I finished it yesterday. – You didn’t. | – 我昨天刚刚完成 – 不可能 |
[32:36] | Do you want them? | 想要吗? |
[32:39] | Now, if you don’t like it, I can sell it to someone else. | 现在 如果你不喜欢的话 我可以卖给其他人 |
[32:42] | – Don’t you dare. – Dean, that’s amazing. | – 要试试吗 – Dean 太神奇了 |
[32:45] | – Can we drive? Does it drive? – Does it drive? | – 我们能开吗?能动吗? – 当然! |
[32:48] | I know it drives, but… I can’t believe you finished it. | 我知道这是能开的 但是… 我不相信你能完成 |
[32:51] | You built me a car. | 你为我造了一辆车 |
[32:52] | Now that the car is done, will you build me a plane? | 既然车会做 那飞机呢? |
[32:54] | One that looks like Shamu? | 就像Shamu那样的? |
[32:56] | – He made that car? – Isn’t that incredible? | – 那车是他造的? – 真难以至信 |
[32:58] | – She can’t accept it. – Dad, it’s okay. | – 她不能接受这车 – 爸爸 那没问题 |
[33:00] | It is not okay. He’s a child. | 不行 他还是个孩子 |
[33:02] | She’s not driving a car a child put together. | 她不能开一个孩子组装的车 |
[33:05] | Excuse me, sir, but my father worked on cars… | 抱歉 先生 但是我爸爸懂车… |
[33:07] | and my grandfather worked on cars. I know what I’m doing. | 我爷爷也是 我知道我在干什么 |
[33:10] | – A car is not a model airplane, young man. – I know that. | -车可不是飞机模型 年轻人 -我知道 |
[33:13] | – It is a complex vehicle. – I know that, too. | -是复杂的交通工具 -那我也知道 |
[33:15] | I will not have my granddaughter driving around in a contraption… | 我不会让我外外孙女开… |
[33:18] | – you put together in auto shop. – Can I say something? | -你在修车铺里做组装的这玩意儿 -我能说一句吗? |
[33:21] | I did not make this in auto shop. I’m telling you, this car is safe. | 不是在修车铺里组装的 我告诉你 这车是安全的 |
[33:25] | – So you are a certified mechanic? – No. | -你是有执照的机械技工? -不是 |
[33:27] | You had the assistance of a certified mechanic? | 那就是有机械技工协助你? |
[33:30] | Then you drove it past a certified mechanic? | 或者你开着它通过了机械技工的检验? |
[33:33] | Dad, stop it. This is a nice thing Dean did here. | 爸爸 别说了 Dean做了一件好东西 |
[33:36] | – Remember, nice things? – I’m sorry, she can’t accept it. | 知道吗 是一辆好车! 抱歉 她不能接受这车的 |
[33:38] | Now, if you will excuse us, we were about to order dinner. | 现在 如果你不介意 我们要订晚餐了 |
[33:42] | I understand you want Rory to be safe, but so do I. | 我能理解你想保证Rory安全 我也是 |
[33:45] | I wouldn’t give this car to her if I didn’t know for a fact… | 如果这辆车不是100%安全的话… |
[33:47] | that it was 100% safe. | 我是不会送给她的 |
[33:50] | I checked it, my father checked it, and Gypsy at Hewes Brothers checked it. | 我检查过了 我爸爸也检查过 还有Gypsy和Hewes兄弟也检查过 |
[33:53] | It has been checked. | 这车是合格的 |
[33:55] | I’m supposed to take your word for it? | 那我应该相信你了? |
[33:57] | – No. – Agreed. | -不用 -那好吧 |
[33:58] | – Let’s go. – Go where? | -我们走 -去哪? |
[34:00] | – To check it. – I don’t think so. | -拿去检查 -我认为不用了 |
[34:02] | I have been working on this car for months. | 在这车上我花了几个月 |
[34:04] | – I’m giving it to Rory. – You’re a very stubborn boy. | -我是给Rory的 -你真一个很顽固的男孩 |
[34:08] | You want to drive? Or should I? | 你想开吗?要么我来? |
[34:10] | – I’ll take my own car, thank you. – Fine with me. | 谢谢 我想还是开我自己的 好 那跟我来 |
[34:13] | Drive behind me. I don’t want it blowing up in front of the Jag. | 跟在我后面 我不想跟在会抛锚的车后面 |
[34:16] | Try to keep your electrical system working long enough to get there. | 要保证你的电气系统工作正常以便我们能到那 |
[34:19] | They worked the kinks out of this electrical system years ago. | 几年前就已经改造过了 |
[34:22] | – I’ll be right back. – So will I. | -我很快就回来 -我也是 |
[34:29] | I feel like one of us should have stood between them waving a flag or something. | 我觉得应该站在中间阻止他们 挥旗什么的 |
[34:35] | It looks fine to me. | 看上去不错 |
[34:36] | – Check it again. – I already checked it again. | 再检查一次 我已经检查过了 |
[34:38] | I checked it earlier. This was checking it again. | 我早就检查过了 这次就是复查了 |
[34:41] | Go ahead, Gypsy, check it again. | 快点 Gypsy 再检查一下 |
[34:43] | – I’ve got all night. – I don’t. | -我看要一个晚上了 -不用 |
[34:45] | – Check the transmission. – It’s all good. | -看一下变速器 -正常 |
[34:47] | – The carburetor. – All good. | -汽化器 -正常 |
[34:48] | – Manifold pressure. – Best pressure I’ve ever seen. | -歧管压力 -是我见到过的最好的 |
[34:51] | I insist you go over this entire car again. | 我坚持想让你完整的再检查一下这车 |
[34:53] | There’s nothing wrong with this car. | 这辆车什么问题也没有 |
[34:55] | I am paying you for a service. I would like that service performed. | 我付钱让你做个保养 我想要完整的保养 |
[34:58] | Okay, I look again. | 好吧 我再看看 |
[35:06] | How many times are you gonna make her do that? | 你还要她检查几次? |
[35:08] | As many times as it takes. | 越多越好 |
[35:12] | I know you think I’m not good enough for Rory… | 我知道你认为我还配不上Rory… |
[35:15] | – but do you have to take it out on my car? – She’s my only granddaughter. | -但是你也不能拿我的车出气啊 -她是我唯一的外孙女 |
[35:19] | I have a responsibility to protect her. She’s young. | 我有责任保护她 她还年轻 |
[35:23] | – She’s naive. – She’s smart. | -她很天真 -她很聪明 |
[35:25] | Yes, she’s smart about certain things. | 是的 她在一些事上很聪明 |
[35:27] | Look, I’m not about to do battle with you here. | 呵 我不跟你在这做辩论 |
[35:29] | You can hate me, whatever. I don’t care. | 你可以讨厌我 我不在乎 |
[35:32] | I hardly hate you. I don’t even know you. | 我不怎么讨厌你 我都不认识你 |
[35:35] | I’m right here. What do you want to know? | 我就在这 你想知道些什么? |
[35:36] | Besides what college I want to go to or what I want to do… | 除了 我想上什么大学或者我想做什么为生… |
[35:39] | because I still have no answers for you. | 因为我现在还不能回答你 |
[35:41] | Those are not ridiculous questions to ask. | 那些问题不荒谬吧 |
[35:43] | No, but you could have waited until dessert to get to them. | 对 但你可以等到吃饭后甜点的时候再问啊 |
[35:47] | – Yes, well, perhaps, the timing of the… – Interrogation? | -是的 恩 可能那次…的时机… -审问? |
[35:51] | – Conversation. – Conversation. | – 交谈 – 交谈? |
[35:52] | Perhaps the timing was a little off. | 也许那次问的不是时候 |
[36:04] | Your father. What does he do? | 你爸爸 是做什么的? |
[36:08] | – Stereo systems. – Installing them? | – 音响 – 安装吗? |
[36:11] | Selling them. He’s got a shop a couple of blocks from here. | 销售 他在离这几个街区的地方有个店 |
[36:14] | And your mother? | 那你妈妈呢? |
[36:16] | She works part-time transcribing medical records. | 兼职抄写病历卡的 |
[36:20] | Interesting. | 有趣 |
[36:27] | You like my granddaughter quite a bit. | 你很喜欢我外孙女 |
[36:30] | No, I love your granddaughter quite a bit. | 不 我很爱你的外孙女 |
[36:33] | I was beginning to feel a little better about this until you said that. | 我刚开始感觉好点 你就说这个 |
[36:37] | I’m not trying to make you feel better. I’m trying to be honest. | 我不想让你觉得我好 我只是尽力做到诚恳 |
[36:40] | Yes, you are. | 对 是的 |
[36:42] | – That’s an admirable quality. – Thank you. | – 是值得敬佩的品质 – 谢谢 |
[36:46] | Okay, I found something wrong. | 好了 我发现一点问题 |
[36:48] | – You did? – What? | – 发现了? – 什么? |
[36:50] | Windshield wipers came right off in my hand. Very dangerous. | 擦玻璃的扫刷掉下来了 那很危险 |
[36:52] | Thank God I checked again. | 还好又查了一遍 |
[36:54] | Gypsy, you broke those off yourself. | Gypsy,这是你自己拆下来的 |
[36:56] | – Yes, I did. – Put them back. | -是的 -装回去 |
[36:57] | I can’t look at this car anymore. | 我不想再看这车了 |
[36:59] | – I miss my home. – Put them back. | – 我想回家了 – 把它们装好 |
[37:05] | – I suppose the car is safe. – It is. | – 我想 你这辆车是安全的 – 是的 |
[37:08] | – I’m still not sure it’s an appropriate gift. – I understand that. | – 可我仍然不认为那是一件舒适的礼物 – 我能理解 |
[37:17] | How tall are you? | 你多高? |
[37:19] | Why? You want to dance? | 怎么?你想跳舞? |
[37:22] | No, thank you. | 不 谢谢 |
[37:27] | I appreciate the offer, though. | 但还是感谢你的邀请 |
[37:31] | – How long are they going to be? – I don’t know. | – 他们去了多久了? – 不知道 |
[37:33] | He probably made Dean take the entire thing apart and put it back together again. | 他可能会让Dean当他的面 把整辆车拆了再重装一次 |
[37:37] | Poor Dean. | 可怜的Dean. |
[37:38] | He has to spend one evening with him. I share chromosomes with the guy. | 他要跟他过一晚上了 跟我有血缘关系的那家伙 |
[37:42] | We had it thoroughly checked. | 已经彻底检查过了 |
[37:44] | We found a little problem with the windshield wipers. | 我们发现雨刷有一些小问题 |
[37:47] | Dean is there now, adjusting them. But once that is taken care of… | Dean正在那修它们 不过下次用起来要小心 |
[37:51] | I don’t see any reason why, with proper insurance, of course… | 我不知道为什么不为车上个保险 当然… |
[37:54] | – why you can’t have that car. – Really? Thanks. | – 为什么你不要那车呢 – 真的吗?谢谢! |
[37:57] | Hon, why don’t you run and pick up the food for us? | 能不能出去帮我们带点吃的回来? |
[38:00] | I’ve got this. | 我付钱 |
[38:02] | Hurry, before the Mu Shu congeals. | 快点 在我饿晕之前 |
[38:06] | Why didn’t you let me pay? | 我来付好了 |
[38:08] | I didn’t think it would be appropriate under the circumstances. | 我觉得现在这个情况下不合适 |
[38:12] | What circumstances are those? | 现在是什么情况? |
[38:14] | The ones where I’m about to get really mad at you. | 你真的快把我弄疯了 |
[38:17] | Excuse me? | 怎么说? |
[38:19] | This is my house and my town, where I live my life. | 这里是我的家 是我的镇 是我的生活 |
[38:23] | Thank you for the geography lesson. | 谢谢你的地理课 |
[38:25] | In the 32 years we’ve known each other… | 在这32年里… |
[38:27] | have I once come to your work and criticized the way you handle clients? | 我去过你工作的地方 批评过你对待客户的方式吗? |
[38:31] | I don’t remember you coming at all. | 我都不记得你去过我上班的地方 |
[38:32] | Have I passed judgment on your breakfast habits or your clothing choices? | 我有没有把我的早餐喜好 和穿衣选择强加给你? |
[38:36] | I was offering opinions. | 我只是表达下看法 |
[38:38] | I don’t want your opinions, especially not in front of my employees… | 我不想要你的意见 由其是在我的职员面前 |
[38:41] | and not in front of my friends. | 和朋友面前 |
[38:43] | You can’t take constructive criticism. | 你不接受建议性的批评 |
[38:45] | Nothing that came out of your mouth today… | 今天从你嘴里说的话都是无关紧要的事 |
[38:47] | might in any universe, visited by Kirk or Spock, be construed as constructive. | 可能在任何范畴里 KIrk或者Spock他们才更有建议性 |
[38:51] | I beg to differ. | 我恕不苟同 |
[38:52] | And this is the last time you come into my house and overrule my word. | 这次也是你最后一次来我家 反驳我的话 |
[38:56] | – What are you talking about? – I’m talking about Dean and the car. | 你在说什么? 我在说Dean和车 |
[38:59] | – I was being… – You have no right being anything. | – 我在处理 – 你跟本没有权利处理任何事 |
[39:02] | Rory’s my kid, and I make the rules. | Rory是我的孩子 也是我定规矩 |
[39:05] | If she comes home and says: | 如果她回到家说: |
[39:06] | ‘I’m gonna spend the weekend with Patricia KrenwinkeI’… | 我想跟Patricia Krenwinkel过周末 |
[39:09] | and I say, ‘Okay, grab a sweater,’ you just have to deal. | 我说会说:好的 抢件毛衣 只是这样处理 |
[39:12] | Who’s Patricia Krenwinkel? | Patricia Krenwinkel是谁? [注:Patricia Krenwinkel 美国60年代末 著名杀人狂 曾参与多起谋杀] |
[39:13] | If I tell her she can have the car her boyfriend made for her… | 如果我说她可以接受她的男朋友给她造的车 |
[39:16] | – then she can. – I didn’t think it looked safe. | – 她就可以接受 – 我认为那车不安全 |
[39:19] | I have to think it looks safe. | 我觉得是安全的 |
[39:21] | Why can’t I make you hear what I’m saying? | 为什么你不听我说的话呢? |
[39:23] | I hear exactly what you’re saying. | 我在听啊! |
[39:24] | You came here as the judgment police. | 你就像个警察一样 |
[39:26] | You kept your uniform on, and it comes off now. | 你一直都坚持你的作风 可是现在不行了 |
[39:29] | – Lower your voice. – I am a grown woman. | – 小声点 – 我已经是成人了 |
[39:31] | Treat me the way you treat people who have invited you to their house… | 到别人家作客怎么样到我家也一样 |
[39:34] | – or you will not be invited again. – Invited? | -不然 你下次就不会再被邀请 -邀请? |
[39:36] | Don’t you think I know why you ‘invited’ me here? | 你以为我不知道 我为什么会“被邀请”到这吗? |
[39:39] | – Because… – Because your mother asked you to. | – 因为 – 因为你妈妈叫我来 |
[39:42] | She called you up and said I was driving her crazy. | 她打电话给你 说我快把他逼她疯了 |
[39:44] | Would you please take me off her hands for one day… | 问你能不能陪我一天 |
[39:47] | so she could get some peace, isn’t that true? | 让她清静些 对吧? |
[39:49] | You have never once invited me to your house, Lorelai. Never. | 你从来没有邀请我到你家 Lorelai,从来没有过 |
[39:53] | I can hardly point to an event that would prompt you to do so… | 我不知道你为什么会同意… |
[39:57] | except my recent employment situation. | 除了因为我最近的就业情况 |
[39:59] | Okay, Dad, Mom did call me, but… | 好吧 爸爸 妈妈是打过电话给我 但 |
[40:01] | I never thought about retirement. | 我从来没想过退休 |
[40:03] | I never thought about what I would do or what I would be once I wasn’t working. | 我从没想过退休了该干什么或者会怎么样 |
[40:08] | I never once imagined that I would go from being a productive member… | 我也从来没有想我会过从一个… |
[40:11] | of the human race… | 有能力的职员… |
[40:13] | to a decrepit old drone sitting at the club at 3:00 in the afternoon… | 变成一个下午3点在俱乐部里闲坐的老头 |
[40:17] | drinking brandy and playing cards. | 喝着白兰地玩纸牌 |
[40:19] | I am an annoyance to my wife and a burden to my daughter. | 我妻子觉得烦 让女儿觉得是负担 |
[40:24] | Suddenly I realize what it feels like to be obsolete. | 突然 我意识到自己好像被抛弃了 |
[40:29] | I hope that you never have to learn what that feels like. | 我希望你永远也不要有同感 |
[40:32] | Now, if you’ll excuse me. | 现在 如果你不介意的话 |
[40:34] | I’m afraid I’ll have to take a rain check on dinner. I’m not very hungry. | 我想我们还是下次吃饭吧 我现在不是很饿 |
[40:51] | – Nice picture. – Gee, thanks. | – 照片不错 – 谢谢 |
[40:52] | You’re very popular right now. | 你现在很受欢迎 |
[40:54] | I bet if you burn a few books, they’d probably make you mayor. | 如果你现在再烧几本坏书 也许他们会选你当市长 |
[40:57] | – This is ridiculous. – I don’t know. | – 太荒谬了 – 不知道 |
[40:59] | You have a lot of supporters on this. | 不少人支持你啊 |
[41:01] | Pat Buchanan, Jerry Falwell, Kathie Lee Gifford. | [注:以上3人是美国著名保守派政治家和歌手] |
[41:04] | – Bye. – Come on, it’s a little funny. | – 再见 – 算了 只是有点好笑 |
[41:07] | No. | 不 |
[41:08] | Being the poster girl for censorship is not a little funny. | 做为审查机构的代言女孩一点都不好笑 |
[41:11] | The only videos not behind that curtain are Bambi and Dumbo. | 没被放到这块幕后面的就只剩 |
[41:14] | They actually had a meeting… | 他们还开了个会… |
[41:15] | about whether Babe should be behind the curtain… | 讨论为了不冒犯犹太教规(犹太教禁食猪肉)… |
[41:17] | so as not to offend people who keep kosher. | 是否把 |
[41:19] | It’s a crazy world we live in. | 我们生活在一个疯狂的世界 |
[41:21] | Where did they even find that stupid picture? | 他们是从哪找的这张破照片? |
[41:23] | The picture’s good. It’s the people who are stupid. | 照片挺好的 人们是愚蠢的 |
[41:26] | – I’ll never be able to leave my house. – At least you won’t starve. | – 我再也没法出门见人了 – 至少你现在不会饿死 |
[41:29] | I can’t look at it anymore. | 我再也不想看这照片了 |
[41:31] | Relax. I don’t think it’ll be around very long. | 放松 我想这样的局面不会很久的 |
[41:34] | – Why? – Just a guess. | – 为什么? – 只是猜测 |
[41:39] | – Enjoy the food. – Come back here. | – 好好享受食物吧 – 回来 |
[41:41] | – Why? – I’ll give you an egg roll. | – 为什么? – 我给你一个蛋卷 |
[41:46] | – Yes? – What did you do? | – 是吗? – 你想干什么? |
[41:48] | Nothing much. Just wanted to make sure… | 没什么 我只是想确保… |
[41:51] | whoever rented Dumbo or Bambi gets a little surprise. | 不管谁租了Dubmo或者Bambi都会有小小的惊喜 |
[41:53] | What kind of a surprise? | 什么惊喜? |
[41:55] | – What did you do? – You owe me an egg roll. | -你想要干什么? -你欠我一个蛋卷 |
[42:17] | Richard, there you are, sneaking in like that. | Richard,你像个小偷一样溜进来了 |
[42:19] | – Hello, Emily. – Nice to see you. | – 好 Emily. – 见到你真好 |
[42:22] | You seem very happy. | 你看上去很开心 |
[42:23] | I had a very nice day. Would you like a drink? | 今天过得真不错 你要喝点什么? |
[42:25] | I saw Kiki Lennox today. She’s redoing her entire house. | 我今天见到Kiki lennox了 她正在重新装修她的房子 |
[42:29] | I have to say, it’s given me a few ideas about this place. | 我不得不说 这件事给我一些新的想法 |
[42:32] | I won’t scare you with them tonight, but I’m very excited about it. | 我今晚不会说出来吓你 可是我很兴奋 |
[42:35] | I’m glad. | 那很好 |
[42:36] | Then I did a little shopping and had my nails done. | 我今天购了物 还修了我的指甲 |
[42:39] | Very nice. | 不错 |
[42:40] | Sugar and Spice, a little crazier than I usually wear… | 在Sugar and Spice买了衣服 比我平常穿得要疯狂一些… |
[42:43] | but I don’t know, I was just in that kind of a mood. | 不知道为什么 当时正好有那个心情 |
[42:46] | So how was your day with the girls? | 恩 你今天跟孩子们过的怎么样? |
[42:48] | – Wonderful. – Tell me about it. | – 很好 – 说点具体的 |
[42:51] | Well, I saw the town, I saw Lorelai’s work. | 恩 参观了小镇 还去看了一下Lorelai的工作 |
[42:53] | Did you eat? I can have Heloise whip up something for you. | 你吃过饭了吗? 我让Heloise给你做点东西吃 |
[42:56] | No, thanks. We had Chinese food. | 不 谢谢了 我已经吃过中国菜了 |
[42:58] | – You love Chinese food. – I do. | – 你欢中餐 – 是的 |
[43:00] | Well, I’m thrilled you had such a wonderful time. | 你今天过得不错太让我高兴了 |
[43:03] | – It was good for you to get out like that. – Yes, it was. | – 这样出去转转不错吧? – 是的 |
[43:06] | In fact, I’m still a little energized from the day… | 实际上 我现在仍有一点活力 |
[43:09] | so I think I’m finally going to organize all those stamps… | 所以终于可以整理一下那些邮票了… |
[43:11] | that I’ve been talking about for ages. | 很久以前我说过就要弄了 |
[43:13] | – Now? – Why not? | – 现在? – 不行吗? |
[43:14] | I think that would be wonderful. Have fun. | 那不错 好好弄 |
[44:22] | English |