时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | I’m Jacqueline Roa, Isaac’s ex-wife. | 我是杰奎琳·罗 艾萨克的前妻 |
[00:05] | Your situation is triggering him. | 是你的情况诱发的 |
[00:07] | Did you give Stella those drugs? | 斯黛拉的药是你给的吗 |
[00:09] | Jacqueline, this is Annalise Keating! | 杰奎琳 我是安娜丽丝·基廷 |
[00:09] | I swear to God, put the phone down! | 我向上帝发誓 放下电话 |
[00:12] | Ask him about Stella. | 问问他斯黛拉的事 |
[00:13] | How’d you know Christophe? | 你怎么认识克里斯托夫的 |
[00:16] | Get the hell out of here! | 滚出去 |
[00:17] | You have more than enough plaintiffs. | 你有足够的原告了 |
[00:18] | I want to make him my face case! | 我想让他当我的门面案例 |
[00:20] | – He’s in. -There’s no chance in hell | -他同意了 -最高法院不可能 |
[00:22] | the Supreme Court is going to hear this case! | 受理这个案子的 |
[00:24] | – You just need to ask for help! – Olivia Pope? | -你只需要去寻求帮助 -奥利维亚·波普 |
[00:29] | The Department of Justice | 司法部 |
[00:30] | recommends a maximum of 150 cases at a time, | 推荐一次最多150个案子 |
[00:33] | but the PD’s in Pennsylvania carry a load of over 200. | 但是宾州警局有两百多个案子 |
[00:36] | This is an issue for the state legislature, Ms. Keating. | 这是州立法机构的事 基廷女士 |
[00:38] | Public defenders need to demand better funding. | 公诉人理应索要更多资金 |
[00:40] | But the money isn’t there, thus leading to long-term, | 但由于没钱 所以才会有长期 |
[00:43] | systematic violations of the Sixth Amendment. | 系统的对第六修正案的违犯 |
[00:46] | But the justices in Pennsylvania wrote that forcing counties | 但是宾州司法部规定强迫各郡 |
[00:48] | to provide more funding violates the separation of powers. | 提供更多资金违反了三权分立制度 |
[00:51] | In Johnson v. Zerbst, | 在约翰逊诉策柏斯特案中 |
[00:52] | this Court established Sixth Amendment violations, | 法院判定对第六修正案的违犯 |
[00:55] | not as a states’ issue or federal issue, | 不是州政府或联邦政府的问题 |
[00:57] | but a human-rights issue. | 而是人权问题 |
[00:59] | Believe me, Noah, I am thrilled | 相信我 诺亚 能在 |
[01:01] | for any chance to argue a case | 本国最伟大的法庭上辩护 |
[01:03] | in front of our nation’s greatest court. | 令我非常激动 |
[01:05] | You’ve won four cases there before. | 你在那里打赢过四场官司 |
[01:06] | Because I study the Court and its nuances, | 因为我研究了这个法庭和它的特别性 |
[01:09] | and the only reason they agreed to even hear this case | 他们愿意听审这个案子的唯一原因 |
[01:11] | is because Ms. Keating has made friends | 就是因为基廷女士与一些 |
[01:12] | with some very influential people. | 位高权重的人颇有交情 |
[01:13] | You’re referring to President Fitzgerald Grant? | 你是指菲茨杰拉德·格兰特总统 |
[01:15] | Amongst others. | 还有其他人 |
[01:17] | I can’t believe that | 不敢相信 |
[01:18] | you’re on a first-name basis with Olivia Pope. | 你还和奥利维亚·波普很熟 |
[01:19] | I know her name. I doubt she remembers mine. | 我知道她的大名 但她应该不记得我的 |
[01:21] | Look, I’m just saying we all have enough to feel guilty about | 我只是想说即使没有这事 |
[01:23] | without you adding that to the pile. | 我们就已经非常内疚了 |
[01:27] | What does that mean? | 什么意思 |
[01:28] | “We all have enough to feel guilty about”? | “我们就已经非常内疚了” |
[01:30] | Simon, Wes, all the murder. | 西蒙 韦斯 那些谋杀案 |
[01:33] | Look. It’s nice that you feel bad | 你为从康纳那把案子偷走 |
[01:35] | about stealing the case from Connor, | 感到遗憾真的很好 |
[01:37] | but it was your idea to on-board the Pope. | 但是把波普拉上船是你的主意 |
[01:39] | And besides, what were you supposed to do? | 再说了 不然怎么办 |
[01:40] | Tell AK to send Connor to D.C. instead of you? | 跟AK说你不去了让她带康纳去华盛顿 |
[01:43] | I mean, what kind of lean-out crap would that be? | 那样多扯淡 |
[01:48] | Of course you get to be mad. | 你当然有理由生气 |
[01:50] | Class action was never about me. It’s about the plaintiffs. | 集体诉讼不是为了我自己 是为了原告 |
[01:52] | Well, then, prove it and come to D.C. with the rest of us. | 那就和我们一起去华盛顿证明这点 |
[01:55] | I have to beg the dean to let me re-enroll. | 我还得去求系主任让我回来上学 |
[01:59] | This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to watch Annalise | 这是一生难求的好机会去看安娜丽丝 |
[02:02] | yell at a bunch of old white dudes! | 对一群白人老家伙叫嚣 |
[02:05] | And we could check out the monuments | 我们还能去参观遗址 |
[02:06] | and go look for closet cases on the Hill. | 在国会山上寻找深柜 |
[02:09] | Okay, fine. I’ll go. | 行 好吧 我去 |
[02:10] | Yay! | 太好了 |
[02:12] | Field trip! | 实地考察旅行 |
[02:16] | These Sixth Amendment violations | 这些对第六修正案的违犯 |
[02:17] | are a form of disenfranchisement, | 也是对公民选举权的侵犯 |
[02:19] | primarily affecting people of color. | 尤其是有色种族 |
[02:21] | Are you implying that the Commonwealth intended | 你是在暗指联邦政府拒绝 |
[02:24] | its denial of state funding to have a racially biased effect? | 给州政府提供资金是出于种族歧视 |
[02:27] | I’m not implying it. I’m flat-out stating it. | 我不是暗指 我是正大光明地提出 |
[02:29] | 6.5% of Americans are black men, | 全美6.5%的公民是黑人 |
[02:31] | and yet they account for 40% of the prison population. | 但黑人却占了监狱人口的40% |
[02:34] | Stop. You list those statistics in your brief. | 停下 你在案情摘要中列出这些数字 |
[02:36] | Refer the Justices there | 让法官去摘要中看 |
[02:37] | so you don’t waste a second of your 30 minutes. | 别浪费你三十分钟的每一秒 |
[02:40] | I can’t say it enough — every word matters. | 我要再强调一次 每个词都很重要 |
[02:45] | 来电 杰奎琳 | |
[02:47] | Annalise! | 安娜丽丝 |
[02:49] | Oh, sorry. | 抱歉 |
[02:52] | I thought they stopped the investigation into Isaac. | 我以为他们已经停止对艾萨克的调查了 |
[02:56] | They did. | 确实停止了 |
[02:57] | Then why can’t we get his testimony reinstated? | 那为什么我们还不能用他的证词 |
[03:01] | Isaac isn’t a reliable expert anymore. | 艾萨克的专家证词不再具有可信度了 |
[03:03] | – Why not? – That’s all I can tell you. | -为什么 -我只能说这么多 |
[03:06] | But even if our states could find | 就算各个州能为 |
[03:06] | 联邦律师英格丽·伊根称 “集体诉讼案是在浪费最高法院的时间” | |
[03:08] | more funding for public defenders, | 公设律师提供更多资金支持 |
[03:09] | what about using that money for our schools? | 为什么不把这笔钱用到学校上 |
[03:12] | Or housing for the homeless? | 或是为无家可归的人提供居所 |
[03:13] | What about the millions of children in the | 还有那些住在福利机构里 |
[03:15] | foster-care system that are wards of the state? | 由国家监护的数百万儿童 |
[03:16] | I’m sorry you’re not there with her. | 很遗憾你没能在现场陪她 |
[03:18] | Or women who depend on state funds | 以及那些依靠国家资助 |
[03:20] | to escape battered housing. | 来逃离支离破碎的家庭的女性 |
[03:22] | And let’s not forget — | 还有不要忘了 |
[03:24] | my opposing counsel was just a criminal defendant herself. | 对方律师曾经就是一起刑事案件中的被告 |
[03:27] | Ms. Keating was cleared of all charges. | 针对基廷女士的所有指控都被撤销了 |
[03:29] | In fact, she says that it was her own experience in jail | 事实上 她说正是自己在狱中的经历 |
[03:31] | that inspired this class action. | 让她有了此集体诉讼案的想法 |
[03:33] | Well, I would make up that story, too, | 如果我是她的话 |
[03:34] | – if I were in her shoes. – Look what just came. | -我也会搬出这套说辞 -看看送来了什么 |
[03:37] | Is he trying to win you back? | 他这是想重夺你的芳心吗 |
[03:38] | It’s for you. | 这是送给你的 |
[03:43] | 亲爱的安娜丽丝 我支持你 菲茨杰拉德·托马斯·格兰特三世 | |
[03:48] | You should hide that before I find a way to shotgun it. | 你应该在我把酒吹个底朝天之前把它藏起来 |
[03:51] | Explain to me how | 告诉我 |
[03:52] | someone who was just fired from teaching the law | 怎么能让一个刚被开除的法学教师 |
[03:54] | can be entrusted to change it. It’s ludicrous. | 来承担改变律法的重任 太荒唐了 |
[03:56] | She’s trying to get in your head. | 她这是在和你玩心理战 |
[03:58] | I’ve heard worse. | 我听过更难听的话 |
[03:59] | And then, there is Olivia Pope, | 然后还有这个奥利维亚·波普 |
[04:02] | a woman well known for finding ways around the law, | 她是以钻法律的空子闻名 |
[04:04] | not protecting it. | 而不是保护法律 |
[04:06] | So my concern is that these two women, | 我担心的是这两个女人 |
[04:09] | claiming to fight for the poor, | 嘴上说是为了给穷人争取利益 |
[04:11] | might actually just be using this case | 其实可能是在利用这起案子 |
[04:13] | to distract us from their own criminal acts. | 让人们忽视她们自己的犯罪行为 |
[04:15] | Let’s not go below the belt. | 先别这样恶意揣测 |
[04:18] | Uh, talk to me about some of your — | 我们来谈谈你的… |
[04:21] | It’s kill or be killed. | 这不是杀戮就是被杀 |
[04:24] | You do know that. | 你明白的 |
[04:27] | I know it, and I look forward to it. | 我很清楚 都迫不及待了 |
[04:31] | Let’s get back to work. | 继续干活吧 |
[04:36] | 最高法院的律师称 “基廷不配为集体诉讼案辩护” | |
[04:40] | I got something good to tell you for once. | 我总算有好消息可以告诉你了 |
[04:44] | There’s no such thing as good in here. | 在这里没有好消息这一说 |
[04:46] | Annalise appealed the state’s decision, | 安娜丽丝对州法院的裁定提出了上诉 |
[04:47] | and the Supreme Court agreed to hear your case. | 最高法院同意受理你的案子 |
[04:51] | That means she needs you at the table with her. | 这意味着到时候你得和她一起出庭 |
[04:53] | No way the warden’s gonna approve me leaving here. | 典狱长绝对不会放我出去的 |
[04:56] | He already approved it. | 他已经批准了 |
[04:59] | You’re going to the Supreme Court. | 你要上最高法院了 |
[05:29] | Jacqueline won’t stop calling me. | 杰奎琳一直在给我打电话 |
[05:30] | – Okay. – No, it’s not okay. | -好吧 -这一点都不好 |
[05:32] | Have you heard anything? | 你听说了什么消息吗 |
[05:33] | Denver’s not gonna re-open Isaac’s case. | 丹沃不会重启艾萨克的案子 |
[05:36] | How are you feeling? | 你感觉怎么样 |
[05:37] | Fine. | 还好 |
[05:38] | You’re allowed to be a little nervous. | 你紧张是正常的 |
[05:39] | I’m not nervous. I just want to win. | 我不紧张 我只是想赢 |
[05:42] | You’re going to. | 你会赢的 |
[05:45] | Did you invite your mom? | 你有请你妈妈去吗 |
[05:46] | Bonnie, she’d pee herself right in the middle of the Supreme Court. | 邦尼 她会在最高法院当众尿裤子的 |
[05:49] | You think that’s what I want to be worrying about at the podium? | 我不想为这种事分心 |
[06:35] | Good news. | 好消息 |
[06:40] | Ingrid Egan’s interview | 英格丽·伊根的访谈 |
[06:42] | had the opposite effect of what she intended. | 起了反效果 |
[06:45] | So now the ACLU, the NAACP, and Public Counsel | 现在美国民权联盟 全国有色人种协进会 |
[06:50] | are all offering to come on board. | 公设律师处全都愿意支持我们 |
[06:52] | No. | 不 |
[06:53] | These are attorneys who have argued | 这些律师都在这个庭上 |
[06:56] | and won many cases in this Court. | 辩护过 赢过很多案子 |
[06:58] | Then, how come I’m the one that got the case this far and not them? | 那为什么是我把案子带到了这里而不是他们 |
[07:06] | Anna Mae Harkness. | 安娜梅·哈克尼斯 |
[07:08] | Born in Memphis in 1967. | 一九六七年出生于孟菲斯 |
[07:10] | Attended junior college for two years, then university, | 在专科学校学习两年之后 进入大学 |
[07:13] | then law school, | 然后进入法学院 |
[07:14] | where she was one of just 20 women in her class | 她是班上仅有的20名女学生之一 |
[07:17] | and one of only two black students in the entire school. | 也是整个学校仅有的两名黑人学生之一 |
[07:21] | And in alumnae interview, | 在女校友访谈中 |
[07:22] | she’s quoted as saying a career goal was to argue a case | 她说她的职业目标 |
[07:25] | before the United States Supreme Court. | 是在美国最高法院中为案件辩护 |
[07:27] | And win. | 并赢得案件 |
[07:27] | And win. | 并赢得案件 |
[07:31] | What the hell are you saying? | 你到底在说什么 |
[07:34] | If you lose this case, | 如果你输了 |
[07:36] | it’ll set criminal-justice reform back decades. | 会让刑事司法改革倒退数十年 |
[07:39] | You don’t think I know that? | 你以为我不知道吗 |
[07:40] | Then think about accepting some help. | 那就考虑接受帮助 |
[07:43] | That’s all I’m suggesting. | 这就是我的建议 |
[07:48] | Where are you going? | 你去哪里 |
[07:53] | Take a moment. | 待一会吧 |
[07:56] | Soak in the glory. | 沐浴荣耀 |
[08:00] | God knows it won’t be like this on game day. | 开庭那天可不会是这样了 |
[08:38] | Mama. | 妈妈 |
[08:41] | It’s Anna Mae. | 是安娜梅 |
[08:52] | What is the point of having a burner phone | 既然你总是强迫我在工作时间跟你见面 |
[08:54] | if you’re just gonna force me to meet you at work? | 弄个一次性手机又有什么意义 |
[08:56] | I talked to Laurel’s mom. | 我跟劳拉的妈妈谈过了 |
[08:59] | What? | 什么 |
[09:00] | I showed her the photo, and she just started talking — | 我给她看了照片 然后她就说了 |
[09:02] | about how Laurel called her last year, | 说劳拉去年打电话给她 |
[09:05] | told her she was in love with this guy, Wes. | 告诉她她爱上了这个男孩 韦斯 |
[09:07] | Don’t tell me you believe any of this. | 别告诉我你相信这些鬼话 |
[09:09] | I’m just telling you what she told me, | 我只是告诉你她说了什么 |
[09:11] | which is that she had Dominick set up a meeting | 所以她才让多米尼克安排 |
[09:12] | between her and the puppy | 她和小可爱见面 |
[09:14] | so she could pay him 100K to stay away from Laurel. | 这样她就可以给他钱让他离开劳拉 |
[09:19] | That doesn’t make sense. | 这不合情理 |
[09:20] | Especially since I can’t find the money. | 特别是我找不到钱 |
[09:23] | No. | 不 |
[09:24] | Just look into Wes’ old bank account, see if there’s money there. | 查查韦斯以前的银行账户 看看有没有钱 |
[09:27] | And when there’s not? You’ll finally tell Laurel? | 如果没有的话 你会告诉劳拉吗 |
[09:31] | Okay. | 会 |
[09:35] | I’ll let you know what I find. | 有消息我会通知你 |
[09:47] | So, have we made a decision? | 决定了吗 |
[09:49] | I have. | 决定了 |
[09:51] | I’m doing it. On my own. | 我自己来 |
[09:55] | Good. | 很好 |
[09:56] | I’m not in the mood to make new friends. | 我也没有兴致去交新朋友 |
[09:59] | Unfortunately, it appears our opposing counsel is all about it. | 不幸的是 对方律师看起来却兴致勃勃 |
[10:02] | – What does that mean? – I got word Ingrid Egan | -什么意思 -我听说英格丽·伊根 |
[10:05] | is trading information with one of the Justices. | 正与一位大法官交易信息 |
[10:07] | – Which Justice? – We don’t know. | -哪位大法官 -我们也不知道 |
[10:10] | I tasked Marcus and Michaela to find out. | 我让马库斯和米凯拉去查了 |
[10:14] | You expecting company? | 你在等人吗 |
[10:15] | My parents. Give me a second to get rid of them. | 是我爸妈 等我把他们打发走 |
[10:20] | Diana Ross! | 戴安娜·罗斯 |
[10:24] | I just mean that my baby | 我是说我家宝贝 |
[10:26] | is singing with the Supremes! | 在跟至上合唱团唱歌呢 |
[10:31] | They got you set up in the fancy suite, huh? | 是他们安排你住这间豪华套房的吧 |
[10:32] | I put myself in this fancy suite. | 是我自己安排的 |
[10:35] | Who’s this? | 这是谁 |
[10:36] | Olivia Pope. I’m working with your daughter on her case. | 奥利维亚·波普 我在跟你女儿合作 |
[10:39] | Wait a minute. What’d you say your name was? | 等等 你说你是谁 |
[10:41] | – Mama. – I didn’t ask you. | -妈妈 -我没问你 |
[10:43] | I asked her. What’s your name, baby? | 我在问她 亲爱的 你叫什么 |
[10:45] | Olivia Pope. | 奥利维亚·波普 |
[10:47] | I’m just messing with you. I know who you are. | 我跟你闹着玩呢 我知道你是谁 |
[10:49] | Didn’t I tell you, the lady from the TV was gonna be here! | 不是告诉过你吗 电视里那位会过来 |
[10:53] | It’s an honor to meet you, Miss Pope. | 波普女士 很荣幸见到您 |
[10:55] | The honor is all mine, sir. | 我才是倍感荣幸 先生 |
[10:57] | All right. I got you set up in a room down the hall. | 好吧 我把你安排在走廊尽头的房间了 |
[10:59] | Just — Let’s get you settled. | 那么 先把你安顿下来吧 |
[11:00] | Not before you get some food in you. | 不过得先给你填饱肚子 |
[11:01] | I fixed some stew and biscuits this morning. | 今早我准备了些炖汤和饼干 |
[11:05] | Mama, we got work to do. | 妈妈 我们还有工作要做呢 |
[11:06] | But you need fuel for that work. | 工作前需要补充能量 |
[11:08] | Get out the Tupperware, Daddy. | 去把吃的准备好 她爸 |
[11:11] | Already on it. | 已经在弄了 |
[11:26] | Michaela, this is a stakeout. | 米凯拉 这是监视行动 |
[11:28] | Two sets of eyes are better than one. | 多双眼总比少双眼好 |
[11:30] | Our opposing counsel isn’t stupid enough to have | 我们的抗辩人不会那么傻 |
[11:32] | a Supreme Court Justice visit her house in the middle of the day. | 让最高法院的大法官大中午去她家参观 |
[11:36] | Are you calling my plan stupid? | 你是说我的计划很傻了 |
[11:43] | I have a boyfriend, Marcus. | 我有男朋友了 马库斯 |
[11:45] | – Asher. I know. – I know you know. | -亚设 我知道 -我知道你知道 |
[11:47] | Which is why I need to make it clear | 所以我才要说清楚 |
[11:49] | because I love Asher very much, | 因为我很爱亚设 |
[11:52] | even though you are obviously charming and intelligent | 即使你非常有魅力 聪明 |
[11:55] | and everything I ever thought I wanted in a man. | 正符合我对一个完美男人的设想 |
[11:58] | – Okay. – Good. | -好吧 -很好 |
[12:01] | Every minute we wait, | 我们每等一分钟 |
[12:02] | traffic’s only getting worse, Asher. | 交通拥堵就会越严重 亚设 |
[12:03] | – I’m moving my tush! – Or we could just not go. | -我在动了 -或者我们选择不动 |
[12:05] | We already lost our tickets to Annalise’s parents, so — | 恐怕安娜丽丝已经安排她父母去旁听了 |
[12:07] | We’ll get tickets as long | 只要我们尽早出发 |
[12:08] | as we get up at the crack of dawn for the line. | 我们还是有机会的 |
[12:09] | Plus, I have the perfect thing for us to do while we wait. | 而且 我有等候时打发时间的绝佳之物 |
[12:13] | – Wedding planning. – We’re not having a wedding. | -婚礼计划 -我们不会办婚礼的 |
[12:15] | Uh, you are, too. I witnessed the proposal. | 你们当然要办 我可是见证了求婚的 |
[12:17] | We’re getting married. | 我们要结婚 |
[12:17] | We’re just not wasting money on a DJ and bad cake. | 但不需要把钱浪费在DJ和烂蛋糕上 |
[12:21] | That sounds like some internalized homophobia to me. | 这话听上去像内心恐同症的人说的 |
[12:25] | Sorry I’m late. | 抱歉我迟到了 |
[12:26] | Laurel, tell Connor and Oliver they need to have a wedding. | 劳拉 让康纳尔和奥利弗办婚礼 |
[12:28] | You need to have a wedding. | 你们必须办婚礼 |
[12:29] | See? It’s the only thing giving anyone any J-O-Y right now. | 看 这是唯一能让大家开心的一件事了 |
[12:32] | Can we please debate this in the car? | 能不能在车里讨论这件事 |
[12:34] | 95’s already really, really red. | 路上已经很堵了 |
[12:36] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[12:40] | I tell you. I’ve seen them everywhere. | 我告诉你 到处都能看到她们 |
[12:43] | Women, women everywhere. | 到处都是女人 |
[12:45] | The grocery stores, doctor’s office, | 杂货店 诊疗室 |
[12:47] | church, everywhere. | 教堂 到处都是 |
[12:50] | It’s because cops keep sending the men off to jail. | 因为警察总抓男人去坐监狱 |
[12:54] | No wonder Anna Mae ran off and married a white man. | 怪不得安娜梅嫁给了白人 |
[12:58] | Okay. Lunch is over. | 好了 午餐结束 |
[12:59] | I’m just saying, thank God for both of you | 我就是说 感谢你们两个 |
[13:05] | This country’s been broken for damn near my whole life. | 我记事以来这个国家就已经满目苍夷 |
[13:11] | I’m just grateful to see somebody who can possibly fix it. | 很高兴见到能够修复好它的人 |
[13:15] | Your daughter deserves most of the credit | 你的女儿是本案的关键 |
[13:16] | for this case, Mrs. Harkness. | 哈克尼斯夫人 |
[13:19] | And you deserve credit | 你选择和她组队 |
[13:20] | for being smart enough to team up with her. | 是明智之举 |
[13:24] | What’s wrong? Is it your father? | 出什么事了 是你父亲吗 |
[13:26] | They’re driving him down in the morning. | 他们今早将他送来 |
[13:27] | I just came to see how you’re feeling. | 我就是来看看你怎么样了 |
[13:29] | Nathaniel. | 内特尼尔 |
[13:31] | Miss Ophelia. | 奥菲利亚小姐 |
[13:32] | – How good to see you. – So good to see you again, too. | -见到你太高兴了 -我也很高兴见到你 |
[13:34] | Sir. | 先生 |
[13:35] | Oh, you know better than to call me that, son. | 不用叫得这么生分 孩子 |
[13:38] | Olivia, Nathaniel Lahey. | 奥利维亚 这是内特尼尔·勒西 |
[13:41] | You can call me Nate. | 叫我内特就好 |
[13:42] | Nate Lahey? | 内特·勒西 |
[13:43] | Not the face-case guy. I’m his son. | 不是”门面案例”本人 我是他儿子 |
[13:49] | Our face case is your ex-boyfriend’s father? | 我们的”门面案例”是你前男友的父亲 |
[13:52] | And your ex-boyfriend was the president, | 你前男友还是总统 |
[13:53] | and you don’t hear me judging. | 我也没有评论过你吧 |
[13:55] | These people we’re up against, | 我们对抗的这些人 |
[13:56] | they’re looking for anything to crucify us. | 会想尽一切办法搞垮我们 |
[13:58] | – Us or me? – You heard that woman on the news. | -我们还是我 -你听到那女人怎么说的了 |
[14:00] | I am as much a target here as you. | 我和你一样是目标 |
[14:02] | Is that why you asked me to bring on those other lawyers? | 所以你让我带上其他的律师 |
[14:04] | – I left that decision to you. – And I made it as I saw fit. | -我让你自己决定 -我做了我认为恰当的决定 |
[14:08] | Now I’m going back inside. | 我要进去了 |
[14:09] | To work or to eat your mama’s stew? | 去工作还是吃你妈妈的炖汤 |
[14:14] | You’re terrified, huh? | 你吓坏了吧 |
[14:15] | Having to rely on my messy ass to save your reputation. | 要靠我这种一身麻烦的人来拯救你的声誉 |
[14:18] | Your reputation. | 是你的声誉 |
[14:19] | And I don’t understand | 我不能理解 |
[14:21] | how inviting distraction into your life | 在你职业生涯最重要日子的前一天 |
[14:23] | the day before the biggest case of your career is a good idea. | 还要处理一堆破事有什么好处 |
[14:26] | That distraction is my family. | 你所谓的”一堆破事”是我的家人 |
[14:28] | – What about your plaintiffs’ families? – You know what? | -那你原告的家人算什么 -这样吧 |
[14:29] | I let you do your thing, but this is my world, my rules. | 我让你做你擅长的 但是我的地盘我做主 |
[14:32] | So stop worrying about me being prepared. | 所以不要再担心我有没有准备好 |
[14:34] | I am worried. | 我很担心 |
[14:35] | About me losing or it reflecting badly on you? | 担心我输掉还是担心影响到你自己 |
[14:39] | Both. | 都有 |
[14:43] | You know, this isn’t about a bucket list or saving my reputation. | 这和愿望清单或者拯救我的声誉无关 |
[14:47] | It’s about knowing that I’ve done something that matters. | 而是在于知道我做了一件重要的事 |
[14:52] | And I know that you want it, too, | 我知道你也是这么想的 |
[14:53] | because I can see it in you. | 我能看出来 |
[14:56] | That’s why I asked my family to be here | 所以我才邀请了我家人前来 |
[14:57] | and why I asked you to be here. | 所以我才邀请了你来 |
[15:00] | Because winning this case will matter to me like… | 因为赢得这个案子对我的意义 |
[15:07] | …nothing in my life ever has. | 是我人生前所未有的重大 |
[15:11] | So stop worrying about me. | 所以不要再担心我了 |
[15:13] | Stop handling me | 不要操控我 |
[15:16] | and let me do my job the best way I know how. | 让我以我认为最好的方式来工作 |
[15:24] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[15:35] | 亚设 我们还有一个小时到 小乖乖 | |
[15:41] | What’s Asher saying? | 亚设说什么 |
[15:43] | They’re almost here. | 他们快到了 |
[15:45] | Go. You can meet them. I can do this solo. | 去吧 你可以去见他们 我自己能搞定 |
[15:51] | What’s wrong with you, Marcus? | 你到底是哪儿不对 马库斯 |
[15:54] | Are you an egomaniac? | 你是个极端自我主义者吗 |
[15:56] | Do you wear sock with sandals? Or is it a micropenis? | 你穿凉鞋穿袜子吗 还是你丁丁超迷你 |
[15:58] | Because it makes no sense why you don’t have someone. | 因为没道理你会没有女朋友 |
[16:04] | Or maybe you do and you just haven’t told me. | 还是说你有 只是你没有告诉我 |
[16:12] | There was someone, | 曾经有过 |
[16:15] | but she had a chance to do something great without me. | 但是她有机会离开我去做更重要的事 |
[16:18] | And I couldn’t hold her back from that. | 我不能妨碍她成就事业 |
[16:28] | I hate you so much. | 你真是太招人讨厌了 |
[17:05] | The guards will bring you in before court starts. | 开庭前会有警卫带你进去 |
[17:07] | It’ll be crowded — full gallery. | 会有很多人 听众席会坐满 |
[17:10] | Plus all the Justices and the clerks and… | 再加上法官和办事员 还有… |
[17:13] | You say that like you think I’m gonna flip out in there. | 你说这话像是觉得我会当庭疯掉 |
[17:14] | I just want you to be prepared. | 我只是想让你做好准备 |
[17:16] | I’ve sit quiet for 30 years. I got this. | 我已经忍气吞声30年了 我应付得来 |
[17:20] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[17:23] | No good? | 有什么不对的吗 |
[17:52] | 美国最高法院 原告 内特·勒西 等 被告 宾夕法尼亚州联邦政府 | |
[17:58] | Can’t believe they let you bring a blade around me. | 他们竟然会允许你拿着刀片在我身边晃荡 |
[18:02] | Just hold still. | 别动 |
[18:17] | Tell me you slept better than I did last night. | 希望你昨晚睡得比我好 |
[18:20] | Sleep’s overrated. | 睡眠的作用被高估了 |
[18:37] | Michaela! Over here! | 米凯拉 这边 |
[18:41] | You made it. | 你们到了 |
[18:42] | Yeah. Did you get my text? | 嗯 你收到我的短信了吗 |
[18:44] | Uh, my phone died. | 我手机没电了 |
[18:45] | How come you didn’t come to the hotel last night? | 你昨晚怎么没去酒店 |
[18:46] | I stayed up all night with Annalise helping her prep. | 我整晚都在帮安娜丽丝准备演练 |
[18:48] | It was crazy. | 太疯狂了 |
[18:50] | Everyone, this is Marcus — | 各位 这位是马库斯 |
[18:51] | Walker. Yeah. | 沃克 |
[18:52] | Former press secretaries need no introduction. | 不用介绍前新闻秘书 大家都认识 |
[18:54] | Asher Millstone, part-time law student, | 亚设·米尔斯顿 兼职法学院学生 |
[18:56] | full-time Michaela’s boo. | 米凯拉的全职马子 |
[19:00] | I hear you guys need tickets. | 听说你们需要入场券 |
[19:01] | Let me check with the guard. | 我去问问警卫 |
[19:03] | I’ll come with, in case you need backup. | 我跟你去 万一你需要帮助的话 |
[19:07] | Michaela, please tell me you didn’t. | 米凯拉 拜托告诉我你没干 |
[19:10] | – She totally did. – I didn’t. | -她肯定干了 -我没有 |
[19:11] | – Didn’t what? – Bang the press secretary. | -干什么 -“干”那个新闻秘书 |
[19:13] | What?! | 什么 |
[19:14] | Former press secretary. And I didn’t. | 是前新闻秘书 而且我没干 |
[19:18] | Okay, I did, but it was a one-time mistake. | 好吧 我干了 但那只是偶然的一次错误 |
[19:19] | It meant nothing. | 这并不能代表什么 |
[19:20] | Please don’t tell Asher. It’ll destroy him. | 求求你们别告诉亚设 这会毁了他的 |
[19:22] | Destroy him like you destroyed me when you stole this case? | 就像你偷走案子毁了我一样 是吗 |
[19:25] | Hey, guys. Main gallery. | 大伙儿 主听众席入场券 |
[19:28] | Marcus Walker is the man! | 马库斯·沃克太棒了 |
[19:34] | – Pizza guy. – What? | -那个送披萨的 -什么 |
[19:36] | The pizza delivery guy is with Justice Strickland. | 那个送披萨的人正和思特里克兰德法官在一起 |
[19:43] | Strickland’s working with Ingrid. | 思特里克兰德在跟英格丽合谋 |
[19:45] | Oh, my God. | 我的天啊 |
[19:46] | Let’s have each of you sign the Supreme Court guest book. | 请二位在最高法院的登记簿上签名 |
[19:49] | Your signatures will join the likes of Thurgood Marshall, | 你们的签名将伴随瑟古德·马歇尔 |
[19:52] | F. Lee Bailey, and Ruth Bader Ginsburg. | F·李·贝利 鲁思·拜德·金斯伯格等 |
[19:56] | Ms. Egan. | 伊根女士 请 |
[19:57] | Let Ms. Keating go first. | 让基廷女士先签名吧 |
[20:00] | She’s never done this before. | 这还是她的第一次 |
[20:05] | Right here. | 请签在这里 |
[20:17] | She has no idea what she’s in for. | 她根本不知道自己要面临什么 |
[20:24] | It’s Marcus. I’ll be right back. | 马库斯的电话 我马上回来 |
[20:25] | – Something wrong? – No. Do your thing. | -有什么问题吗 -没有 你好好干 |
[20:30] | You didn’t tell me you saw a pizza guy. | 你没告诉我你见过送披萨的人 |
[20:32] | What do you think was in the box? | 你觉得披萨盒里是什么 |
[20:33] | Strickland’s prep questions. | 思特里克兰德的演练问题 |
[20:34] | He’s a hard-line conservative. | 他是个强硬的保守派 |
[20:35] | He wants to help Ingrid any way he can. | 他要尽自己所能帮伊根 |
[20:37] | So Annalise is screwed. | 那安娜丽丝完了 |
[20:47] | 来电 未知号码 | |
[20:55] | – Hello? – Annalise. | -喂 -安娜丽丝 |
[20:58] | It’s Jacqueline. | 我是杰奎琳 |
[21:00] | I guess I should have blocked my number days ago. | 看来我应该早点隐藏号码的 |
[21:06] | I’ve been out of town. | 我不在城里 |
[21:07] | You’re in D.C. I know. | 你在华盛顿 我知道 |
[21:08] | Which is why this isn’t a good time. | 也就是为什么现在不是时候 |
[21:10] | Isaac overdosed, Annalise. | 艾萨克用药过量了 安娜丽丝 |
[21:13] | The police found him in his car three days ago. | 警察三天前在他车上找到了他 |
[21:18] | Is he dead? | 他死了吗 |
[21:22] | No. But his kidneys are failing. | 没有 但是肾脏衰竭 |
[21:26] | Do you get why I told you to stay away now? | 你懂我当时为什么让你远离他了吗 |
[21:29] | This wasn’t my fault. | 这不是我的错 |
[21:30] | Telling me about Stella | 你告诉我斯黛拉的事 |
[21:31] | is what sent him to this place, Annalise. | 才把他逼到这步田地 安娜丽丝 |
[21:33] | You needed to know. | 你需要知道事实 |
[21:34] | I already knew. | 我早知道了 |
[21:36] | But now look what you did. | 但看看你都干了什么 |
[21:39] | You ruined him, just like you ruin everyone in your life. | 你毁了他 就像你毁了你生命中所有人一样 |
[21:54] | I haven’t felt this bad since Stella died. | 自从斯黛拉去世 我从未感觉如此糟糕 |
[21:55] | I’m with Isaac and he’s relapsed. | 我和艾萨克在一起 他又嗑药了 |
[21:57] | That’s because of you. | 那是因为你 |
[21:58] | – His kidneys are failing. – Ask him about Stella. | -肾脏衰竭 -问问他斯黛拉的事 |
[22:00] | You really think I’d be in this position if it weren’t for you? | 如果不是你 你觉得我会这样吗 |
[22:01] | Look what you did. You ruined him… | 看看你都做了什么 你毁了他 |
[22:02] | This wasn’t my fault. | 这不是我的错 |
[22:03] | …just like you ruin everyone in your life. | 就像你毁了你生命中所有人一样 |
[22:06] | And here I am. I’m just sucked into your life! | 可看看我 我陷入了你的生活 |
[22:17] | Your boss had you personally deliver ex facto communications | 在抗辩的前一晚 你老板让你 |
[22:20] | to Ingrid Egan the night before oral arguments. | 亲自给英格丽·伊根传了话 |
[22:22] | You have no proof of that. | 你没有证据 |
[22:23] | I have a photo of you in a pizza uniform. | 我有你穿着送披萨制服的照片 |
[22:26] | You’re bluffing. | 你在虚张声势 |
[22:27] | I’m Olivia Pope, Kevin. I don’t bluff. | 我是奥利维亚·波普 凯文 我从不虚张 |
[22:30] | Get me in to see Justice Strickland. | 让我去见思特里克兰德法官 |
[22:34] | Get back here, Kevin! | 你给我回来 凯文 |
[22:37] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[22:43] | This is because of Strickland. | 是因为思特里克兰德 |
[22:44] | I didn’t get a chance to tell her. | 我还没机会告诉她 |
[22:45] | I just walked in, and she was like this. | 我一进来 她就这样了 |
[22:53] | You okay? | 你还好吗 |
[22:56] | I can’t do this. | 我做不到 |
[22:58] | Of course you can. | 你当然做得到 |
[22:59] | You have to. | 得你去 |
[23:01] | Annalise, no one else can do this but you. | 安娜丽丝 除了你没人能做到 |
[23:03] | No. I can’t. All right? It’s you. | 我做不到 好吗 你才行 |
[23:05] | You have to do this. Please. | 必须你去 拜托 |
[23:12] | No. | 不行 |
[23:14] | No one knows the case as good as you. | 没人比你更了解这个案子 |
[23:17] | I don’t have standing with the Court, Annalise. | 我出庭站不住脚 安娜丽丝 |
[23:20] | That’s only you. | 只有你 |
[23:21] | So you need to talk to me. | 所以告诉我 |
[23:22] | What do you need to walk into that courtroom? | 要怎么样你才愿意走上法庭 |
[23:25] | Because that needs to happen now. | 必须现在就得准备好 |
[23:28] | So tell me what you need, and I will get it for you. | 所以告诉我你需要什么 我来准备 |
[23:35] | Vodka. | 伏特加 |
[23:41] | Okay. | 好 |
[23:46] | Go to Marcus. Tell him to find vodka. | 去找马库斯 让他找点伏特加 |
[23:48] | She’s an alcoholic. She’ll get disbarred if she drinks — | 她酗酒 如果喝酒她会被取消律师资格 |
[23:50] | – I know. – That’s just in normal court. | -我知道 -只是普通法庭就能取消资格 |
[23:51] | – This is the Supreme Court. – Michaela. | -这可是最高法院 -米凯拉 |
[23:53] | Marcus. Vodka. Go. | 马库斯 伏特加 快去 |
[24:20] | I need you. | 找你有事 |
[24:26] | Something’s wrong. | 有点不对劲 |
[24:30] | Olivia, what if I fail? | 奥利维亚 我要是失败了怎么办 |
[24:34] | Then you fail. | 那就失败吧 |
[24:35] | No, I can’t. I can’t. I can’t let these people down. | 我不能失败 不能 不能让这些人失望 |
[24:38] | Stop thinking about those people. | 别再想着那些人了 |
[24:40] | You said it yourself. You’re not doing this for them — | 你自己说的 你不是为了他们做这些 |
[24:42] | for Nate, his father, your mother, me. | 不是为内特或他父亲 你母亲 或者我 |
[24:47] | You’re doing this for you. | 这是为你自己 |
[24:50] | You’re doing this for you. | 这是为你自己 |
[24:53] | And for that little girl who clawed her way out of Memphis | 和那个虽然一直被别人说不够好 |
[24:58] | after always being told she wasn’t good enough. | 但还是走出了孟菲斯的小女孩 |
[25:03] | Three minutes. | 三分钟 |
[25:04] | The countdown isn’t making anyone feel better, Oli. | 倒数安慰不了任何人 奥利 |
[25:09] | Oh, God. | 天啊 |
[25:12] | I can’t believe I’m a grown-ass woman asking for help. | 真不敢相信我这么大人还需要人帮忙 |
[25:16] | Well, you’re a terrified grown-ass woman. | 你是一个受惊的大人 |
[25:21] | And I get that. | 我知道 |
[25:23] | What you’re about to do is terrifying. | 你要做的事很可怕 |
[25:25] | I’m terrified for you. | 我也为你感到害怕 |
[25:27] | But, Annalise, this case chose you. | 但是安娜丽丝 这个案子选择了你 |
[25:30] | So you need to pick yourself off of this floor | 所以你需要振作起来 |
[25:34] | and walk into that courtroom. | 走进那个法庭 |
[25:36] | Not for anybody else but for you. | 不是为别人 而是为你自己 |
[25:42] | Here. Vodka. We just don’t have a cup. | 给 伏特加 但我们没有杯子 |
[25:46] | We only have about two minutes. | 我们只剩大概两分钟了 |
[25:48] | Get out. | 出去 |
[25:49] | – But — – You’re not helping. Leave. | -但是 -你们帮不上忙 走吧 |
[25:56] | Whatever it is you think is in this bottle | 不管你觉得这瓶酒里有什么 |
[25:58] | is already in you. | 其实都已经在你心里了 |
[25:59] | I know that, but I don’t have time to convince you of that. | 我很清楚 但我没时间说服你 |
[26:02] | So if you think you need to drink, drink. | 所以如果你觉得自己需要喝酒 那就喝 |
[26:19] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[26:22] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[26:27] | – Okay. – Okay. | -好 -好 |
[26:30] | Okay. | 好 |
[26:31] | – Ready. – Okay. | -准备好了 -好的 |
[26:36] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[26:38] | – 1 minute, 45 seconds. – Stop, Oliver. | -一分钟四十五秒 -够了 奥利弗 |
[26:40] | Oh, here she comes. | 她来了 |
[26:44] | Is that him? | 是他吗 |
[26:55] | Okay, this may not be the best time to tell you this, | 虽然现在告诉你这事时机并不好 |
[26:58] | but Strickland’s the justice | 但思特里克兰德就是那个 |
[26:59] | who’s been feeding Ingrid information. | 一直给英格丽提供资料的法官 |
[27:01] | You need to be ready for him to gun for you. | 你得准备好 他会针对你的 |
[27:04] | Anna Mae! | 安娜梅 |
[27:06] | Listen. You gotta eat something, baby. | 你得吃点东西 宝贝 |
[27:09] | You can’t be keeling over during a debate contest. | 你不能空着肚子参加辩论赛 |
[27:13] | – Please. – Having a bit of an episode. | -行吗 -就一小口 |
[27:16] | Mama, we ate breakfast. Remember? | 妈妈 我们已经吃过早饭了 记得吗 |
[27:17] | Just a sip. Just a little sip. Just — Just — | 就一点点 一点点 就… |
[27:19] | Okay, okay. Mrs. Harkness. | 好了 好了 哈克尼斯夫人 |
[27:20] | How about I eat with you, and Anna Mae can go to her debate? | 不如我陪你吃 安娜梅去参加辩论 |
[27:24] | – No. Anna Mae — -Yes. | -不行 安娜梅 -行的 |
[27:25] | – Ophelia, let Anna Mae go. – I said — | -奥菲利亚 让安娜梅走吧 -我说了 |
[27:32] | – Annalise, go inside. Go. – I’m sorry. | -安娜丽丝 进去 去吧 -对不起 |
[27:34] | It’s okay. It’s okay, Mrs. Harkness. | 没关系 没关系 哈克尼斯夫人 |
[27:37] | – I’m sorry. – It’s just… | -对不起 -只是… |
[27:45] | There she is. | 她来了 |
[27:54] | Thought maybe I’d scared you off. | 还以为我把你吓跑了 |
[27:56] | Not possible. | 绝无可能 |
[27:59] | The honorable Chief Justice and the Associate Justices | 尊敬的美国最高法院首席大法官 |
[28:02] | of the Supreme Court of the United States. | 和大法官们 |
[28:05] | Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! | 肃静 肃静 肃静 |
[28:07] | All persons having business before the Honorable, | 凡在此威严之美国最高法院 |
[28:10] | the Supreme Court of the United States, | 行其事物之人 |
[28:13] | are admonished to draw near and give their attention, | 切勿靠近 并请肃立 |
[28:16] | for the Court is now sitting. | 恭候法官入席 |
[28:17] | God save the United States and this Honorable Court. | 天佑美国及此威严之法庭 |
[28:29] | Mr. Chief Justice and may it please the Court… | 首席大法官 请允许我陈述 |
[28:32] | Until my client, Mr. Nathaniel Lahey, | 在我的委托人 内特尼尔·勒西先生 |
[28:35] | was 9 years old, | 九岁之时 |
[28:36] | it was illegal for him to sit at a white-only counter. | 他若坐在只有白人可以坐的桌上是违法的 |
[28:40] | That changed when Brown v. Board of Education | 当布朗诉教育委员会结束了隔离 |
[28:42] | ended segregation. | 这一现象终于改变 |
[28:45] | Until he was 18, he had no right to free legal counsel. | 十八岁 他没有权利获得免费的法律顾问 |
[28:49] | Gideon v. Wainwright ended that. | 吉迪恩诉温赖特案改变了这一现象 |
[28:51] | At 20, Miranda v. Arizona | 二十岁 米兰达诉亚利桑那州案 |
[28:53] | stopped the police from being able to arrest him | 阻止了警察在不告知他 |
[28:56] | without informing him of his right to an attorney. | 可以请律师的情况下进行逮捕 |
[29:00] | With each of these landmark decisions, | 随着每个标志性的决定 |
[29:02] | this Court helped Mr. Lahey get closer to the equality | 这个法院帮助勒西先生一步步走向 |
[29:06] | that our constitution promises every citizen in this country. | 宪法承诺这个国家的每个公民应有的平等 |
[29:12] | But he’s still not there. He’s still not equal. | 但他还没走到 还没有获得真正的平等 |
[29:17] | Instead, he’s the victim of a broken system. | 相反 他成了破败制度的牺牲品 |
[29:20] | – A victim?! – Yes, victim, Your Honor. | -牺牲品 -是的法官阁下 牺牲品 |
[29:23] | Of repeated instances of Sixth Amendment violations. | 不断违犯第六修正案的牺牲品 |
[29:27] | Your client is a confessed murderer, Ms. Keating. | 你的当事人是个认罪了的杀人犯 基廷女士 |
[29:29] | Justice Strickland, my client was never informed of his right | 思特里克兰德法官 我的当事人从未 |
[29:33] | to appeal the sentence after his first conviction. | 在第一次定罪后被告知有上诉的权利 |
[29:35] | That’s how ineffective his counsel was. | 他的诉讼律师就是这么没效率 |
[29:37] | This is a version of the story coming from him? | 这是他说的故事版本吗 |
[29:39] | Every one of the 15 public defenders | 为他辩护的十五个公设辩护律师 |
[29:42] | that he has had represent him | 个个都让他 |
[29:44] | told him to plead guilty. | 承认有罪 |
[29:45] | You’re saying that he was not guilty | 你是说他没有犯下 |
[29:48] | – of any of these crimes? – Thank you. | -这些罪行吗 -谢谢你 |
[29:50] | Without properly funded counsel, | 没有合适资助的诉讼律师 |
[29:52] | he received sentences longer than the average man. | 他获得的刑期比一般人都要长 |
[29:55] | And these years in prison included solitary confinement, | 在监狱度过的这些年 包括禁闭 |
[29:58] | which resulted in mental-health issues | 导致了精神健康问题 |
[30:00] | that led to the tragic events of this murder. | 造成了谋杀的悲剧 |
[30:02] | But you just said that your client was the victim. | 但你刚说你的当事人是个牺牲品 |
[30:05] | The victim of underfunded public defense system. | 是资金不足的公设辩护系统的牺牲品 |
[30:08] | Don’t interrupt me. | 不要打断我 |
[30:11] | I’m so sorry. Really I am. | 很抱歉 我真的很抱歉 |
[30:13] | I’m fine. Mrs. Harkness, | 我没事 哈克尼斯夫人 |
[30:15] | you need to go watch Anna Mae. | 你得去看看安娜梅 |
[30:17] | Anna Mae doesn’t need her mama right now. She needs you. | 安娜梅现在不需要她妈妈 她需要你 |
[30:20] | No, I think she’ll be fine all on her own. | 不 我觉得她自己可以搞定 |
[30:23] | Stop yapping and go sit — sit your butt down. | 别唠叨了 快来坐下 |
[30:26] | The only victim in this case is Gerald Reinhoff, | 这个案子唯一的牺牲品是杰罗德·莱因霍夫 |
[30:30] | the man that your client beat to death in cold blood. | 你的当事人冷血地把他打死 |
[30:33] | We are not here to try a murder, | 我们不是来审判谋杀的 |
[30:35] | but to understand the events that led up to this murder. | 是来理解导致谋杀的事件 |
[30:37] | But of all the plaintiffs that you could’ve brought us, | 但在所有原告里 你选了他来面对我们 |
[30:39] | you’re asking us to feel for a killer? | 你要我们同情一个杀人凶手 |
[30:41] | A man the system made into a killer. | 是制度让他变成了凶手 |
[30:43] | I said don’t interrupt. | 我说了不要打断我 |
[30:45] | Now, what is apparent to me | 现在 就我看来 |
[30:47] | and to several of my fellow Justices… | 以及就在座的几位同僚看来 |
[30:49] | Let’s not speak for the rest of us. | 先不要替我们几位说话了 |
[30:50] | …is that this is a money issue, | 这是一起金钱纠纷案 |
[30:52] | one that the legislature of Pennsylvania can decide. | 一个宾夕法尼亚州立法机关可以审判的案子 |
[30:55] | Except this case is not only about money, Your Honor. | 但这起案件不只是金钱纠纷 法官阁下 |
[30:59] | It’s about race. | 是关于种族 |
[31:03] | You’re just like Anna Mae. | 你很像安娜梅 |
[31:06] | Always taking care of everybody else but yourself. | 总是照顾别人 除了你自己 |
[31:11] | Oh, I see it on the TV. | 我从电视上看到的 |
[31:15] | Sometimes, you’re standing next to the man president. | 有时候你就站在总统旁边 |
[31:22] | Then the lady president. | 然后是女总统 |
[31:26] | Fixin’. | 修补 |
[31:28] | Fixin’, fixin’, fixin’. | 修补 一直在修补 |
[31:32] | Sometimes that doesn’t leave you any time for yourself. | 有时候那会让你没有时间照顾自己 |
[31:38] | I know this. | 我明白 |
[31:41] | Because I was you. | 因为我曾经是你 |
[31:43] | I mean, not hanging with no presidents | 我是说 我到是没和总统们相处过 |
[31:47] | or anything like that. | 或是这种事 |
[31:48] | Just… people needed me. | 只是 大家需要我 |
[31:54] | People needed me. | 身边的人需要我 |
[31:58] | That’s for sure. | 这点我很肯定 |
[32:04] | Sometimes, I think this whole country | 有时候 我觉得如果没有我们这种人 |
[32:07] | would just fall apart… | 收拾烂摊子的话 |
[32:11] | if we weren’t around to… | 整个国家 |
[32:15] | clean up all the mess. | 会分崩离析 |
[32:22] | Only, this time… | 不过这一次 |
[32:28] | …I made the mess. | 我造成了烂摊子 |
[32:34] | You were just being a good mom. | 你只是尽当妈的责任 |
[32:38] | One in three black men will go to prison | 三分之一的黑人会进监狱 |
[32:41] | versus one in 17 white men. | 而白人只有十七分之一 |
[32:43] | Either you are arguing that your plaintiffs | 你认为你的原告们 |
[32:46] | are getting ineffective counsel | 得到了无效辩护 |
[32:48] | because of poor funding or because of their race. | 要么是因为缺少资金 要么是因为种族 |
[32:51] | – Which is it? – Both. | -是哪个呢 -都是 |
[32:52] | Not all of your plaintiffs are people of color. | 你的原告们不全是有色人种 |
[32:55] | My sample of plaintiffs | 我的原告样本 |
[32:56] | matches a racial breakdown of incarceration. | 符合监禁的种族分类 |
[32:59] | 40% of my plaintiffs are black. 20% are Latino. | 百分之四十是非裔 百分之二十是拉丁裔 |
[33:02] | If you want us to consider race here, | 如果想让我们考虑种族因素 |
[33:04] | it would have to be the determining factor. | 那这必须是决定性因素 |
[33:06] | It’s one of many factors. | 这是因素之一 |
[33:08] | But is it the determining factor? | 但这是决定性因素吗 |
[33:10] | Either it is or it isn’t. | 要么是 要么不是 |
[33:21] | Yes. | 是 |
[33:23] | Race is the determining factor. | 种族是决定性因素 |
[33:27] | You did not file this class action | 你并非因为种族歧视 |
[33:29] | on the grounds of discrimination, | 才提起本次集体诉讼 |
[33:31] | so we cannot consider race in our decision. | 所以判决不会考虑种族因素 |
[33:34] | I disagree. | 反对 |
[33:35] | This bench must consider the validity | 法院应当考虑基廷女士 |
[33:37] | of Ms. Keating’s equal protection argument. | 以平等保护作为辩护理由的正当性 |
[33:39] | The impact of a ruling based on race | 基于种族因素的裁决 |
[33:42] | would have adverse procedural implications. | 从程序上来说不是很正当 |
[33:43] | That was the argument in Brown v. Board. | 布朗诉教育委员会案就是这么辩护的 |
[33:45] | Segregation was designed to discriminate. | 隔离的目的就是歧视 |
[33:48] | Can’t say the same thing… | 我不这么认为… |
[33:49] | Don’t lose a second of your 30 minutes. | 别浪费你三十分钟的每一秒 |
[33:51] | Every word matters. | 每个词都很重要 |
[33:52] | …Court decided the effects of racism were so… | 法院认为种族主义的影响太… |
[33:54] | So let us listen to Ms. Keating. | 让我们听基廷女士说吧 |
[33:56] | Let me say this again. | 我再说一遍 |
[33:57] | Race is not a variable in this case. | 种族不是这件案子的考虑因素 |
[34:01] | Your Honor, I’d like to use | 法官阁下 我想用 |
[34:03] | the remainder of my time to prepare my rebuttal. | 剩下的时间来准备我的反驳 |
[34:05] | The request for rebuttal is granted. | 同意反驳的申请 |
[34:10] | Mr. Chief Justice and may it please the Court, | 首席大法官 请允许我陈述 |
[34:13] | Ms. Keating has pulled a bait-and-switch on this Court. | 基廷女士这是挂羊头卖狗肉 |
[34:14] | 布莱恩特诉托皮卡案 80年代中期 | |
[34:17] | The minute she made race the determining factor, | 她把种族当成决定性因素的那一刻 |
[34:20] | she took it out of the purview of this trial… | 就推翻了这次审判的前提 |
[34:21] | Go to the library and look up this ruling. | 去阅览室查这次判决 |
[34:23] | – Okay. – Michaela. | -行 -米凯拉 |
[34:24] | We lose without it. | 查不到就输了 |
[34:26] | …race but on the expertise of the individual attorney. | …种族 而是律师的专业性 |
[34:29] | In Washington v. Davis, your predecessors decided | 华盛顿诉戴维斯案中 前任大法官们判决 |
[34:32] | that even if a law has a discriminatory effect, | 如果歧视不是故意的 |
[34:35] | it is unconstitutional… | 即便案子有歧视因素 |
[34:37] | You did your best. | 你尽力了 |
[34:37] | if that was not its intended purpose. | 那也不违宪 |
[34:39] | If that is the precedent that Ms. Keating wants to challenge, | 如果基廷女士想推翻先例 |
[34:41] | then that case needed to be built | 那这件案子就得 |
[34:43] | and argued in the state appellate courts. | 提交到州上诉法院 |
[34:45] | Bryant v. Topeka. Topeka means Kansas, | 布莱恩特诉托皮卡案 托皮卡是堪萨斯首府 |
[34:47] | which means it has to be in the 10th circuit. | 所以肯定在第十部分 |
[34:49] | So I’ll start with the indexes from ’82. | 我先从82年的目录开始 |
[34:52] | You start with ’87, and we’ll meet somewhere in the middle. | 你从87年的开始 一起往中间走 |
[34:55] | Why are you looking at me like that? | 为什么这么看着我 |
[34:57] | Your brain. It’s hot. | 你的智慧 很迷人 |
[34:59] | Focus. | 专心 |
[35:01] | Washington V. Davis was | 州政府诉戴维斯案 |
[35:02] | decided on a technical issue of the lower courts | 取决于下级法院的技术问题 |
[35:04] | for not applying appropriate legal standards. | 因为没有严格遵守法律标准 |
[35:07] | While Ms. Keating’s statistics make it clear | 虽然基廷女士的数据表明 |
[35:10] | that our judicial system should be reformed, | 我们的司法制度需要改革 |
[35:12] | that is not the duty of this Court today. | 但这不是今天受审的议题 |
[35:18] | Ms. Keating, we’ll now hear your rebuttal arguments. | 基廷女士 现在请做反驳陈述 |
[35:44] | “As an arbiter of the law, with whole knowledge | 作为仲裁人 熟知 |
[35:46] | of historical jurisprudence in this country, | 国家法律体系史 |
[35:49] | race must always be considered a variable.” | 我知道人种永远都是可变因素 |
[35:51] | You have precious time, Ms. Keating. | 你的时间有限 基廷女士 |
[35:53] | I suggest that you don’t waste it | 我建议你不要浪费时间 |
[35:55] | by making arguments you’ve already made. | 说你已经说过的反驳辞 |
[35:58] | These are not my words, Justice Strickland. | 这不是我的话 斯特里克兰法官 |
[36:01] | They’re yours. | 是你的话 |
[36:03] | You wrote them in your 1985 ruling in | 是你在1985年布赖恩特诉托皮卡一案中的 |
[36:06] | Bryant v. Topeka, | 判决书中写的 |
[36:08] | an equal protection case | 也是一桩平等保护案件 |
[36:09] | dealing with a state-housing lottery program. | 涉及公有住房抽签计划 |
[36:18] | Racism is built into the DNA of America. | 种族主义存在于美国的血脉中 |
[36:24] | And as long as we turn a blind eye | 只要我们对那些被压迫之人的痛苦 |
[36:25] | to the pain of those suffering under its oppression, | 采取事不关己高高挂起的态度 |
[36:28] | we will never escape those origins. | 就永远无法逃脱这种问题 |
[36:33] | The only safeguard people of color have | 有色人种拥有的唯一保护 |
[36:36] | is the right to a defense, | 就是辩护权 |
[36:37] | and we won’t even give them that. | 而我们连这也要剥夺 |
[36:39] | Which means that the promise of civil rights | 也就是说 对公民权的承诺 |
[36:42] | has never been fulfilled. | 从来没有真正兑现过 |
[36:45] | Due to the failure of our justice system, | 因为我们的司法系统的缺陷 |
[36:47] | our public defense system in particular, | 此处特指我们的公共辩护系统缺陷 |
[36:50] | Jim Crow is alive and kicking — | 针对黑人的种族隔离法案依旧昌盛 |
[36:54] | laws that made it illegal for blacks and whites | 就是那些禁止黑人和白人 |
[36:56] | to be buried in the same cemetery, | 葬入同一公墓的法案 |
[36:58] | that categorized people into quadroon and octaroons, | 将人分成四分之一 八分之一混血的法案 |
[37:02] | that punished a black person | 因为黑人去白人医院 |
[37:03] | for seeking medical attention in a white hospital. | 寻求救治就治罪的法案 |
[37:09] | Some may claim that slavery has ended. | 或许有人说奴隶制已经不复存在 |
[37:12] | But tell that to the inmates who are kept in cages | 这话该跟那些被锁在笼子里 |
[37:15] | and told that they don’t have any rights at all. | 被告知他们毫无权益的人去说 |
[37:19] | People like my client, Nathaniel Lahey, | 像我的委托人内特尼尔·勒西 |
[37:21] | and millions of people like him | 和上百万和他一样 |
[37:23] | who are relegated to a subclass of human existence | 在我们的监狱中 被归为 |
[37:26] | in our prisons. | 次等人的人们 |
[37:28] | There is no alternative to justice in this case. | 本案中不存在其他正义 |
[37:31] | There is no other option. | 没有其他选择 |
[37:34] | To decide against my plaintiff | 不支持我的起诉人 |
[37:37] | is to choose lining the pockets of prison owners | 就是选择偏心监狱所有者 |
[37:40] | over providing basic defense for the people who live in them. | 选择放弃为狱中之人提供最基本的权益 |
[37:46] | And is that the America | 这难道是本法庭 |
[37:47] | that this Court really wants to live in? | 希望看到的美国吗 |
[37:50] | Where money is more important than humanity? | 一个金钱重于人性的美国 |
[37:53] | Where criminality is confused with mental health? | 一个犯罪和精神问题混为一谈的美国 |
[38:02] | The Sixth Amendment was ratified in 1791. | 第六修正案于1791年正式生效 |
[38:06] | It’s been 226 years since then. | 迄今已有226年 |
[38:10] | Let’s finally guarantee its rights to all of our citizens. | 让我们在今天兑现这百年前的承诺 |
[38:29] | The word is Ms. Keating won over | 据说基廷女士 |
[38:30] | some of the more moderate Justices. | 赢得了温和派大法官们的投票 |
[38:32] | Trying to predict what the Court will decide is a fool’s errand. | 企图预测法庭判决只是徒劳无益 |
[38:34] | Ms. Keating, what is your response to critics | 基廷女士 有批评家说你是在攻击 |
[38:37] | who say you are attacking public defenders? | 所有的公设辩护律师 你作何评论 |
[38:39] | Tell them to see me | 让他们 |
[38:40] | when they get more time and money to argue their cases. | 有了更多时间和资源为案子辩护时再说 |
[38:42] | She did catch Justice Strickland | 她的确发现思特里克兰德法官 |
[38:44] | in direct contradiction of his previous ruling. | 和他之前的裁决有冲突 |
[38:46] | Justices are allowed to evolve in their thinking. | 法官的想法也会有变 |
[38:48] | In fact, I think that’s called wisdom. Next question. | 我觉得这叫做睿智 下一个问题 |
[38:50] | Do you think you won in there? | 你觉得你胜利了吗 |
[38:52] | Oh, win or lose, I’d like to give a shout-out to my team, | 不管胜利与否 我都要为我的团队鼓掌 |
[38:55] | and that includes my named plaintiff, Nathaniel Lahey. | 包括我的原告 内特尼尔·勒西 |
[38:58] | I hope that this is a first step | 我希望这是为他 |
[39:00] | in getting him the fair and proper defense | 争取公平公正辩护的第一步 |
[39:02] | that he never received during his 33 years in jail. | 他已经蒙冤了33年 |
[39:06] | Dad, I’d like you to meet Annalise’s parents. | 爸爸 这是安娜丽丝的父母 |
[39:10] | It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lahey. | 很高兴见到你 勒西先生 |
[39:13] | You’re a… very brave man, sir. | 你是个…很勇敢的人 先生 |
[39:17] | Not half as brave as your daughter. | 不及你女儿的一半 |
[39:20] | Well, thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[39:24] | I had a great team of smart people | 我有一个很棒的智囊团 |
[39:26] | that helped me get this case heard — | 帮助我能够上诉 |
[39:28] | several of my former law students, | 有几名是我曾经的法学院学生 |
[39:30] | Connor Walsh in particular, | 特别是康纳尔·沃什 |
[39:32] | as well as members of the Grant Institute | 以及格兰特协会的所有成员 |
[39:35] | that really pushed the Court to hear this case. | 让法庭能够审理这个案子 |
[39:37] | And that includes someone that you all know — | 其中还有你们非常熟悉的一个人 |
[39:41] | Olivia Pope. | 奥利维亚·波普 |
[39:44] | Did you know Ms. Pope before working together | 你和波普小姐合作之前 |
[39:46] | – on the class action? – Do you see the two of you | -认识她吗 -你觉得你们俩 |
[39:47] | working together in the future? | 以后还会合作吗 |
[39:49] | Yeah, there no money in Wes’ account. | 韦斯的账户里没有钱 |
[39:51] | What about a Swiss bank account or something? | 有没有瑞士银行什么的 |
[39:54] | Tell Laurel already, Frank. | 告诉劳拉 弗兰克 |
[40:04] | Come on, Barbie. | 来吧 宝贝 |
[40:05] | Mommy said you took the money, so where’s your hiding spot? | 妈妈说你拿了钱 你藏在哪了 |
[40:35] | Frank, if this is some sort of relationship talk, | 弗兰克 如果你要聊我们的关系 |
[40:38] | I’m too tired. | 我太累了 |
[40:39] | Laurel. Your mom’s been lying to you. | 劳拉 你妈妈一直在骗你 |
[40:48] | You’re having legal trouble. | 你有法律问题了 |
[40:50] | Wallace Mahoney was killed. | 华莱士·马奥尼被杀了 |
[40:52] | Not sure what that has to do with me. | 这和我有什么关系 |
[40:54] | But you’ve had other troubles with the police, no? | 但警方还在因为其他事查你 不是吗 |
[40:57] | Okay, I’m telling Laurel about this. | 好了 我要把这事告诉劳拉 |
[41:04] | Okay. I’ll tell her. | 好的 我会告诉她的 |
[41:08] | That was President Grant. | 那是格兰特总统 |
[41:10] | He said the Justices might be swinging in our favor. | 他说法官们可能会做出对我们有利的判决 |
[41:12] | I’ll believe it when I see it in writing. | 眼见为实 |
[41:15] | Smart. | 聪明 |
[41:18] | Now, when you get home, | 等你回到家 |
[41:19] | I’ve set a meeting with the Pennsylvania Bar Review. | 我安排了你和宾夕法尼亚律师审核委员会见面 |
[41:21] | – They’re gonna do a profile on you. – No. | -他们会对你进行评估 -不 |
[41:23] | You say yes to every interview, no to every book offer. | 答应采访 拒绝出书 |
[41:25] | You’re done, okay? | 你的工作结束了 |
[41:29] | You don’t have to handle me anymore. | 你不用帮助我了 |
[41:34] | We did good. | 我们做得很好 |
[41:36] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[41:41] | Take care of yourself, Annalise. | 照顾好自己 安娜丽丝 |
[41:56] | Bonnie. I was just about to call you. | 邦尼 我正想打电话给你 |
[41:58] | Annalise, I’m so sorry to do this, | 安娜丽丝 我很抱歉告诉你 |
[42:01] | but I’m at the hospital. | 但是我在医院 |
[42:05] | Is it Isaac? | 是艾萨克吗 |
[42:07] | No. | 不 |
[42:09] | It’s Simon. | 是西蒙 |
[42:11] | He’s awake. | 他醒了 |