时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Here’s a good one: If you drop a coin | 这个有意思 如果你掉了个硬币 |
[00:05] | with the king of Thailand’s head on it, | 刚好泰国国王的头像那面朝上 |
[00:08] | don’t step on it. | 不要踩到上面 |
[00:09] | They jailed a French citizen for that. | 有个法国公民因为这个被关起来了 |
[00:11] | Well, French and the monarchy, | 法国人和王权政治体制 |
[00:13] | they had to know that was gonna be trouble. | 肯定是合不来的 |
[00:16] | Oh. Also, if the king gives a speech… | 还有 如果国王发表演讲 |
[00:21] | everyone’s head must be lower than his feet. | 所有人的脑袋都必须要低于他的脚 |
[00:25] | So just lie down. | 那就只能躺下了 |
[00:27] | Sounds like a comfortable place to hear a speech from. | 应该是个挺舒服的听演讲的姿势 |
[00:29] | And just a little wifely advice, | 从一位太太的角度给你的小建议 |
[00:31] | Thailand is a country where free speech doesn’t exist. | 言论自由在泰国这个国家是不存在的 |
[00:34] | Good thing I’ve got diplomatic immunity now. | 幸亏我现在有外交豁免权了 |
[00:37] | Come on, I’m kidding. | 行了 我开玩笑呢 |
[00:38] | The Thai constitution says | 泰国宪法规定 |
[00:40] | the “King is enthroned in a position of divine worship.” | “登基的国王尊享神一般的膜拜” |
[00:45] | So even as an advisor to the president of the United States, | 即使是作为美国总统顾问的你 |
[00:50] | you’re a mere mortal. | 也仅仅是个凡人而已 |
[00:51] | Oh, and you can’t wear white or black. | 还有你不能穿黑色或者白色的衣服 |
[00:54] | Wh-What? | 什么 |
[00:54] | Uh, which shirt to meet the king? | 那见国王穿哪件衬衫 |
[00:56] | I don’t know. Blake’s still working on the invite. | 我不知道 布莱克还在争取邀请呢 |
[00:59] | So his birthday reception’s a pretty hot ticket, huh? | 所以说生日招待会还是很抢手的啊 |
[01:02] | So, Rochana, she’s here at this conference… | 罗西娜 她参加这个会议 |
[01:07] | as part of a group, or…? | 是作为一个组织的一员还是… |
[01:09] | No, she’s just an invited speaker. | 不是 她就是受邀发表演讲 |
[01:12] | I told her I would be a friendly religious scholar in the crowd. | 我跟她说我会是听众里一位友好的宗教学者 |
[01:15] | That’s nice. | 真温馨 |
[01:18] | So how’s, um, | 那个 她的老公怎么样 |
[01:20] | her husband, what’s his name? | 他叫什么来着 |
[01:21] | Richard. They’re not together anymore. | 理查德 他们已经不在一起了 |
[01:27] | What? | 什么 |
[01:28] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[01:32] | Well, it’s just a recently divorced professor | 只不过是一位刚刚离婚的 |
[01:36] | with a noticeably attractive author photo | 有张颇有魅力的封面作者照片的教授 |
[01:40] | excited to see her old boyfriend from college. | 迫不及待要与大学时的前男友见面而已 |
[01:42] | At a religious conference in Bangkok | 在一个曼谷的宗教会议 |
[01:44] | with a bunch of academics. | 还和一群学者在一起 |
[01:45] | You say that like it’s not exactly the way to seduce you. | 你说这话就好像这招对你没有用那样 |
[01:48] | Uh-huh. | 当然 |
[01:49] | ‘Cause that’s how I seduced you, | 因为这是我用来让你就范的招数 |
[01:50] | taking you to all those academic conferences. | 带你参加一系列的学术会议 |
[01:53] | No, of course not, because I wasn’t your intellectual equal | 不对 当然不是 因为在学术上我和你 |
[01:56] | who challenged your arguments with laser-like precision. | 不在一个等级 没办法精确地挑战你的观点 |
[02:02] | I never said that about Rochana. | 我从来没这么评价过罗西娜 |
[02:04] | But you hesitated, because you could have. | 但你犹豫了 说明你差点这么说 |
[02:07] | There’s only one woman who ever challenged me | 只有一个女人曾经那么精确地 |
[02:09] | with laser-like precision. | 挑战过我 |
[02:14] | Mike B. | 是麦克·B |
[02:14] | What? | 什么 |
[02:17] | Ugh, ah, enough with the meetings. | 哎 没完没了的会 |
[02:19] | He does know that there’s no campaign | 他知道那个需要他真正去管理的竞选 |
[02:21] | to actually manage yet, right? | 还不存在呢 对吧 |
[02:23] | I keep telling him to wait until after I announce. | 我一直在跟他说等到我宣布了以后 |
[02:26] | And when are we thinking that’s gonna be? | 那咱们觉得是什么时候呢 |
[02:27] | Not for a while. | 还得要过一阵呢 |
[02:29] | But we should tell the kids soon, right? | 但是我们应该尽快告诉孩子们 |
[02:31] | Yeah. I think that would be a good idea. | 对 这是好主意 |
[02:33] | You guys, she’s here! | 她来了 |
[02:35] | Jason’s college counselor. | 杰森的考大学辅导员 |
[02:37] | I just don’t want them to hear it from someone else. | 我不想让他们从别人那里知道 |
[02:39] | Let’s tell them when I get back. | 等我回来我们就跟他们说吧 |
[02:41] | Okay. | 好 |
[02:45] | Are you okay? | 没事吧 |
[02:46] | Yeah, it’s just… | 没事 就是… |
[02:47] | telling the kids makes it so freaking… | 告诉孩子们感觉特别怪异 |
[02:48] | I know, real. | 我知道 |
[02:50] | – Yeah, right? – Yeah. | -是吧 -是啊 |
[02:52] | Mom, Dad, we’re waiting! | 妈 爸 我们等着呢 |
[02:53] | We’re coming! | 来了 |
[02:55] | Okay, ready to go get talked into some more debt? | 好吧 准备好被忽悠着掏钱了吗 |
[03:01] | So in spite of my unheeded reservations | 虽然他完全忽略了我并不看好他那篇 |
[03:05] | about writing a personal statement on sea turtles… | 以海龟为题的个人陈述… |
[03:07] | Again, it was a metaphor | 再说一次 那是个隐喻 |
[03:08] | for an embattled progressive movement | 暗指日嚣尘上的法西斯主义时代中 |
[03:10] | in a time of rising fascism. | 危机四伏的激进运动 |
[03:12] | – Oh, God. – Go on. | -我的天 -继续吧 |
[03:13] | It seems the improved GPA | 看起来平均学分绩点的提升 |
[03:15] | along with that perfect SAT score did the job. | 还有学术能力测试的优异成绩都起了作用 |
[03:19] | Vassar, | 瓦萨学院 |
[03:20] | Northwestern and Vonderhauf | 西北大学和范德霍夫 |
[03:23] | all offered scholarship packages. | 都提供了奖学金录取方案 |
[03:24] | – That’s what I’m talking about. – Oh, wow, hey, man. | -我就说嘛 -太棒了 |
[03:26] | – Wow. – You should be very proud. | -太好了 -你们应该非常骄傲 |
[03:28] | – Yeah. – Uh, uh, how much? | -是啊 -多少钱 |
[03:30] | Vonderhauf is the highest, | 范德霍夫给得最高 |
[03:31] | with half tuition and housing for the first year, | 第一年学费和住宿费的一半 |
[03:35] | successive years contingent on academic performance. | 后面几年视学习成绩而定 |
[03:38] | Northwestern and Vassar, closer to 30%. | 西北大学和瓦萨学院 差不多是百分之三十 |
[03:41] | We should have gone to see Vonderhauf. | 我们应该去范德霍夫看看就好了 |
[03:42] | It’s very cold at Northwestern. | 西北大学太冷了 |
[03:43] | We should have gone down there. | 我们应该去看看 |
[03:44] | They’re all excellent schools. | 这些都是顶级的学校 |
[03:45] | – Of course. – Do some research. | -当然 -做些考察 |
[03:47] | Look into campus life, faculty, class sizes. | 看看校园生活 教职员工 班级规模 |
[03:50] | This is so exciting. | 太激动了 |
[03:54] | – Originally, yes. – Great, I’ll go there. | -开始时是 -太好了 我就去那里吧 |
[03:56] | Well, now, there’s no need to just… | 不需要这么… |
[03:57] | We’ll do a little more research. | 我们做些研究 |
[03:58] | Well, no, Dad, it’s a male to female ratio. | 不是的爸爸 我看的是男女比例 |
[03:59] | There’s less competition on the field. | 球场上的竞争压力会小一些 |
[04:01] | Well, that’s solid criteria. | 这是个重要的标准 |
[04:03] | There’s an acceptance deadline, | 有个确认的截止日期 |
[04:05] | so you’ll want to indicate your choice | 你们需要在周四下午五点前 |
[04:07] | by 5:00 p.M. Thursday, just go on the website. | 确认你们的决定 可以网上办理 |
[04:10] | We will get right on it. | 我们马上就开始 |
[04:11] | Oh, gosh, thank you, Colleen. | 非常感谢你 科琳 |
[04:13] | Such a pleasure, such a pleasure. | 非常乐意效劳 |
[04:15] | Oh. My car, my car’s here. | 我的车到了 |
[04:17] | Okay, I got to go. | 我得走了 |
[04:17] | I’m really proud of you, buddy. | 我真的为你骄傲 伙计 |
[04:19] | Thank you so much. | 非常感谢 |
[04:20] | I’m-I’m happy to fulfill everyone’s status expectations. | 我很高兴没有辜负大家的期望 |
[04:22] | He’s excited, he is. | 他太兴奋了 真的 |
[04:24] | It just looks like cynicism. | 他只是看着有点无所谓的样子 |
[04:25] | – Congratulations. – Thanks. Thank you. | -恭喜 -谢谢 |
[04:28] | – Good morning. – Morning. | -早 -早 |
[04:29] | Raspberry scone. | 木莓司康饼 |
[04:31] | Excellent priorities, Blake. | 优先顺序很正确 布莱克 |
[04:32] | The Human Rights Heroes Luncheon | 人权卫士午餐会请您 |
[04:34] | is asking that you move up your arrival by half an hour, | 提前半小时到场 |
[04:37] | which would mean postponing your greeting | 而这就意味着要推迟接待 |
[04:39] | to the newly confirmed ambassadors. | 新近正式任命的大使们 |
[04:40] | No, I don’t want to miss that greeting. | 不行 我不想错过接待会 |
[04:42] | Those guys have waited years to be confirmed. | 这些人等了很久才得到正式任命 |
[04:44] | I’ll push back. | 那我再去争取 |
[04:45] | I did manage to secure an invitation for Henry | 我终于帮亨利搞定了泰国国王生日 |
[04:47] | to the king of Thailand’s birthday reception. | 招待会的邀请了 |
[04:49] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[04:50] | Oh, it’s no problem. | 没问题 |
[04:51] | I didn’t really want my firstborn, anyway. | 本来第一次的结果也不是我想要的 |
[04:54] | There wasn’t a plus-one with that, was there? | 他不能带别人去吧 |
[04:56] | I can reapproach. | 我可以再去争取一下 |
[04:57] | No, no. It’s fine. It’s… | 不用 没事 只是… |
[04:58] | Ma’am, uh, good morning. | 国务卿女士 早 |
[05:00] | – Yeah. – I was just wondering if you saw my remarks | -嗯 -关于人权午餐会的讲话 |
[05:01] | – for the human rights luncheon? – Yeah, I did. | -我就是想确认一下您是否看过我写的讲稿 |
[05:03] | Well, I can pull back | 如果你需要 我可以 |
[05:04] | on the Nelson Mandela if you like. | 把纳尔逊·曼德拉那段删掉 |
[05:05] | No, no. It’s fine. I’ll do a quick polish beforehand. | 不用了 我讲话之前我会做个快速调整的 |
[05:07] | – Thanks. – Uh, Mike B.’s in your office. | -谢谢 -麦克·B在您办公室 |
[05:09] | Of course he is. | 我就知道 |
[05:10] | Good morning. How’s the future leader of the free world? | 早上好 自由世界未来的领袖如何啊 |
[05:13] | I thought we weren’t shouting that from the rooftops just yet. | 我想我们还没到满世界振臂高呼的时候 |
[05:16] | Not shouting. Just the dim roar of a gathering wave | 没有振臂高呼 只是遥远天际蓄势待发的 |
[05:20] | far out on the horizon. | 浪潮传来的隐约的涛声而已 |
[05:22] | Yeah, not really much of a beach person. | 好吧 可惜我不是个泡沙滩的人 |
[05:24] | Oh, but this is the very best kind of wave: money. | 不过这个潮可是最棒的那种 钱潮 |
[05:28] | A grassroots super PAC calling themselves | 一个自称为”贝丝 竞选加油”的 |
[05:29] | “Run, Bess, Run” Is already gathering donations | 民间超级政治行动委员会 |
[05:32] | for your campaign. | 已经开始为你的竞选募集捐助了 |
[05:35] | Try to contain your joy. | 尽量控制住你的兴奋啊 |
[05:35] | This is huge. | 这个可不得了 |
[05:37] | It’s also indicative of the kind of support you’re stirring up. | 它也彰显出你有多受人欢迎 |
[05:39] | Of course, legally, you’re obliged to stay ignorant | 当然从法律上讲 对于任何超级 |
[05:42] | of any activities of a super PAC. | 政治活动委员会的活动你必须表现得毫不知情 |
[05:43] | Then why are you telling me this? | 那你为什么还要告诉我 |
[05:45] | Because it’s thrilling. | 因为这太让人兴奋了 |
[05:47] | And it also leads me to my next topic: | 而且这个会引出我的下一个话题 |
[05:49] | – the book you’re gonna write. – I’m not writing a book. | -你要写的书 -我没要写书啊 |
[05:53] | Got to tell your story, start burnishing the myth, | 向世界讲述你的故事 好好润色润色 |
[05:55] | but keep it relatable. | 一定要引人入胜一点 |
[05:56] | I haven’t even told my kids that I am running. | 我甚至还没告诉孩子们我要竞选 |
[05:58] | Who talks to their kids, anyway? | 谁跟小孩谈这种事 |
[05:59] | I don’t. | 反正我从来不跟他们说话 |
[06:01] | I mean, it’s ’cause my ex-wife doesn’t want me to, | 当然了 这是因为我前妻不让我见他们 |
[06:02] | and I could probably push past that, | 不过我努力一下还是能争取到机会的 |
[06:03] | but somehow I don’t. | 但不知怎么的我并不想费这个力气 |
[06:07] | Where were we? | 刚刚说到哪了 |
[06:11] | The book that I do not have time to write. | 我没空写自传 |
[06:13] | That is what a ghostwriter is for. | 这就要用到代笔作家了 |
[06:15] | Lorraine Sheridan, | 洛兰·谢里登 |
[06:16] | speechwriter for the annoyingly progressive mayor in Denver, | 她是那个讨厌的激进派丹佛市长的撰稿人 |
[06:19] | is coming by this afternoon | 她今天下午过来 |
[06:20] | for no more than ten minutes. | 只需要十分钟 |
[06:21] | I don’t have ten minutes. | 我抽不出十分钟 |
[06:22] | Everybody has ten minutes. | 谁都抽得出十分钟来 |
[06:23] | Think of it as an investment in your future. | 把这看作是投资未来 |
[06:26] | If you decide not to run, | 如果你决定不参加选举 |
[06:27] | you can always work it into a book tour. | 还可以来个巡回签售会 |
[06:33] | You good there? Want me to get you anything? | 沙发上舒服吗 要给您来点什么吗 |
[06:38] | I’ll have Blake get me a cup of coffee. | 我一会让布莱克给我倒杯咖啡 |
[06:40] | Go fix the world. | 你拯救世界去吧 |
[06:51] | – There you are. – Oh. Hey. Hi. | -你终于来了 -你好 好久不见 |
[06:56] | Oh, my gosh, you look just the same. | 天哪 你一点都没变 |
[06:57] | You look just the same– oh, you stole my line. | 你一点都没变 你抢了我的台词 |
[07:00] | It’s good to see you, Roe. | 见到你真高兴 罗 |
[07:01] | – I’m so happy you came. – Me, too. | -你能来我真是太高兴了 -我也是 |
[07:03] | Uh, here, I got us a table. | 过来 我留了座位 |
[07:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:18] | Wow, that’s a beautiful scarf. | 这围巾挺漂亮的 |
[07:19] | Did you get that here? | 是在这里买的吗 |
[07:20] | From a street vendor. Can you believe it? | 你信不信我是在路边摊买的 |
[07:23] | I’m sure I paid twice as much as I should have. | 我肯定是被坑了 多花了一倍的钱 |
[07:25] | They didn’t give you a discount for being a native? | 他们不给本地人打个折吗 |
[07:29] | I’ve lived away from here too long. | 我已经离开很久了 |
[07:30] | They know I’m a tourist. | 他们都把我当游客 |
[07:31] | I’ve completely lost all my bargaining skills. | 我已经完全丧失还价技能了 |
[07:34] | May I get you something? | 您需要来点喝的吗 |
[07:35] | Uh, just water for me, thanks. | 水就行 谢谢 |
[07:39] | It’s so good to see you. | 能再见到你真是太好了 |
[07:41] | You, too, Roe. | 我也是 罗罗 |
[07:43] | It’s been, what, like, 25 years? | 我们大概有 25年没见了吧 |
[07:47] | Has it? | 有这么久了吗 |
[07:49] | Doesn’t seem like it. | 感觉好像没这么久 |
[07:50] | Maybe ’cause we’ve e-mailed. | 可能因为我们中间邮件联系过 |
[07:52] | Which reminds me, | 说起这个 |
[07:53] | thanks to your input, I got the Stivers Grant. | 多亏了你帮忙 我才能获思迪沃斯奖 |
[07:56] | Oh, now, come on. | 快别这么说 |
[07:57] | Y-You need to take complete credit for that. | 这事全靠你自己 |
[07:59] | I just reorganized a couple of your thoughts. | 都是你的观点 我只是重组了一下语言 |
[08:01] | No. | 不 |
[08:02] | You’ve always had a way with words, Henry McCord. | 你的文采一直很出色 亨利·麦考德 |
[08:05] | But still not good at taking compliments, I see. | 但我看出来了 你还是不习惯被夸奖 |
[08:10] | Thank you. | 多谢 |
[08:15] | So how are, uh, Alexander and…? | 两个孩子怎么样 亚历山大和… |
[08:19] | – Lawan. – Lawan. | -叫拉万 -对 拉万 |
[08:21] | They’re both living in the U.S. now. | 两个都在美国 |
[08:23] | Alex is 24, working in a bank, | 亚历克斯24岁 在银行工作 |
[08:27] | – God help me. – Wow. | -谢天谢地了 -哇 |
[08:29] | And Lawan is just starting her master’s in Comp Lit. | 拉万刚刚考上比较文学的硕士 |
[08:33] | Clearly, she’s your girl. | 很显然是要继承你的衣钵了 |
[08:35] | Here are my guys. | 这是我家的孩子 |
[08:38] | Oh. What a beautiful family. | 家庭美满啊 |
[08:41] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[08:42] | And Elizabeth. My God. | 伊丽莎白 她可太厉害了 |
[08:44] | The Iran deal, nuclear disarmament. | 推动了伊朗无核化协议 |
[08:47] | Yeah. She’s doing good work. | 没错 她工作上很有一手 |
[08:50] | See? Things work out the way they’re supposed to. | 看吧 一切都没有脱离正轨 |
[08:59] | I’m sorry about you and Richard. | 你和理查德的事 真的很可惜 |
[09:02] | Honestly, it’s been great. | 说真的 结局已经很好了 |
[09:05] | I was a little lost at first, | 一开始 因为见不到孩子 |
[09:07] | with the kids gone, | 我很迷茫 |
[09:07] | but there’s this real liberation to it, too. | 但这也算是一种真正的解脱 |
[09:11] | You know? | 你知道吗 |
[09:12] | It’s like, suddenly, | 这就像 我又一下子 |
[09:14] | I can get back to everything I was before. | 回到了从前的生活 |
[09:16] | It’s like getting a second chance. | 就像是一次重来的机会 |
[09:23] | Look, I get it. You’re a working mom | 我明白 您得兼顾事业和家庭 |
[09:25] | with an enormous job. | 而且工作还很繁重 |
[09:27] | In the interest of global security, I promise you, | 我向您保证 为了全球的安全着想 |
[09:30] | this book will have minimal impact on your life. | 写这本书对您个人生活的影响将微乎其微 |
[09:34] | Well, I have to admit, that’s a relief to hear. | 说实话 你这话让我松了一口气 |
[09:36] | I had visions of you following me to yoga class. | 我以为你连我上瑜伽课都要跟着去 |
[09:38] | No, no. All I want to do is talk with your family | 不不 我只想和您的家人聊一聊 |
[09:42] | maybe once, grab a moment with your chief of staff | 有时间的话 和您的幕僚长谈一谈 |
[09:45] | and one or two sit-downs with you, whenever you can. | 再和您坐下来聊上一两次 时间由您定 |
[09:49] | Well, that doesn’t sound impossible. | 这应该可以 |
[09:52] | Good. ‘Cause Mike B. didn’t say anything, | 那就好 尽管麦克·B什么也没透露 |
[09:55] | but if this book means what I think it does, | 但如果这本书如我所想的那样 |
[10:01] | I am so freakin’ on board. | 我绝对百分百投入 |
[10:04] | I appreciate the enthusiasm. | 谢谢你的热情 |
[10:06] | I do. I, um… | 真的 |
[10:07] | Okay. Why don’t we– let’s, we’ll sit down one more time | 那 下次有机会再聊 |
[10:12] | – and see how things go. Okay? – Awesome. | -看看有什么进展 如何 -好 |
[10:14] | Can I ask you to do one tiny thing? | 能给您提一个小小的要求吗 |
[10:15] | And, uh, it’s not homework, I swear to God. | 这绝不是家庭作业 我发誓 |
[10:18] | Could you just jot down one moment | 您能不能写一下 在哪一个瞬间 |
[10:19] | when you thought, | 您认为 |
[10:22] | “I could be a leader”? | “我可以成为领导人” |
[10:24] | Either because you were mad at how something was being done, | 这可能是因为您对现状不满 |
[10:27] | or-or you just enjoyed being in charge. | 或者是因为您享受掌控一切的感觉 |
[10:30] | The earlier in your life, the better. | 尽量往前回忆 |
[10:33] | Okay. Yeah. | 好 行 |
[10:34] | Whatever comes to you. | 不管您想到什么 |
[10:35] | I’ll flesh it out into a chapter, | 我先把它扩充成一个章节 |
[10:37] | you see if you like it | 您看看是否满意 |
[10:39] | and then we’ll take it from there. | 然后再由此发散 |
[10:40] | Does that sound good? | 您觉得怎么样 |
[10:41] | Okay. Yeah. | 好 不错 |
[10:44] | Well, they almost kicked me out. | 我差点被解雇 |
[10:46] | Oh, y-you can’t blame me for that one. | 这事可不能怪我 |
[10:48] | What are you talking about? | 你还狡辩 |
[10:49] | You confronted the guy. | 你跟那人起了争执 |
[10:51] | He was, like, a six-four linebacker. | 他壮得跟个一米九的中后卫似的 |
[10:53] | You called him an asshat, and I had to… | 你说他混蛋 我只能… |
[10:54] | He kept interrupting class with nothing to say. | 那是因为他老是毫无缘由地打断上课 |
[10:56] | I didn’t expect for you to challenge him to a duel! | 我可没想到你会跟他决斗 |
[10:58] | Well, I was his T.A. I had… I had to do something. | 我是他的助教 不可能视而不见 |
[11:01] | Humor was the best way to defuse the situation. | 幽默是化解危机的最好工具 |
[11:03] | You did eventually talk him down. | 你的确让他冷静下来了 |
[11:05] | No pistols fired at dawn. Mm. | 没擦枪走火 |
[11:07] | I still got academic censure. | 我还是被批评了好吗 |
[11:08] | He didn’t even read the essay. | 他根本就没读那文章 |
[11:12] | Can you imagine doing that now– | 你能想象这事发生在现在吗 |
[11:13] | confronting every kid | 把每个一声不吭就离开教室的学生 |
[11:14] | – who goes off without anything to say? – Yes. | -都揪出来训一顿 -的确无法想象 |
[11:17] | Well, we all let it slide now, don’t we? | 我们现在都睁一只眼闭一只眼了 |
[11:20] | I suppose we should be thankful | 我觉得应该庆幸 |
[11:22] | there was no Internet back then. | 当时没有网络 |
[11:24] | Yes. | 没错 |
[11:26] | So tomorrow, you know what time and where? | 明天演讲的时间和地点 你知道的吧 |
[11:29] | Yeah, I’m all set. | 我早就准备好了 |
[11:35] | It means so much to me that you came here. | 你能来 真的对我太重要了 |
[11:42] | I wouldn’t have missed it. | 我怎么会错过 |
[11:51] | Look, I got to… I got to hit it, | 我得 我得回去躺着了 |
[11:53] | or I’m just gonna get hammered by this jet lag. | 不然到时候时差倒不过来 |
[11:56] | Yeah. | 去吧 |
[12:02] | Okay, so I will wait for confirmation | 那我就等您确认 |
[12:04] | on the time for tomorrow. | 明天的时间了 |
[12:06] | Absolutely. Thank you for coming in, Ms. Sheridan. | 请放心 非常感谢 谢里登女士 |
[12:08] | What’s she coming back for? | 她明天还要来做什么 |
[12:10] | – Second interview? – I can’t disclose that. | -第二轮面试吗 -无可奉告 |
[12:12] | Bro, I know that’s Lorraine Sheridan, | 兄弟 我知道那人是洛兰·谢里登 |
[12:13] | big speechwriter, has her own TED Talk. | 著名撰稿人 上过TED演讲 |
[12:15] | Calls herself a shaman | 自称是可以召唤 |
[12:17] | who summons the speaker’s inner voice. | 演讲者内心声音的法师 |
[12:20] | M-Sec’s running for president, | 国务卿要竞选总统 |
[12:23] | and I’m out, right? | 我出局了 对不对 |
[12:25] | You can tell me. | 你可以跟我说实话 |
[12:26] | Matt, a White House run is just a rumor. | 马特 竞选只是谣传 |
[12:28] | Look, I know those remarks I wrote for the luncheon | 我知道我写的午宴致辞 |
[12:30] | weren’t my best, | 不是我的巅峰水平 |
[12:32] | but then, she barely had any notes. | 但她基本上没有修改 |
[12:33] | Is that because, uh, they weren’t as bad as I thought, | 是因为写得没有我想象的糟糕 |
[12:35] | or because she’s given up on me? | 还是她已经放弃我了 |
[12:38] | What? She seemed fine with them. | 什么 她对稿子好像没什么意见啊 |
[12:40] | Honestly, I… | 说真的 我 |
[12:40] | But there was a tone | 但这种事情都是有言下之意的 |
[12:41] | like you use with the guy you’re done with, | 就像你已经对这人没感觉了 |
[12:42] | but you just keep him around | 但你并不会跟他坦白 |
[12:43] | so you can have a plus-one | 这样你朋友婚礼的时候 |
[12:44] | – for your friend’s wedding. – Matt. | -你就不用单身出席了 -马特 |
[12:47] | Breathe with me. | 跟着我深呼吸 |
[12:51] | And know that you are the shaman chosen | 相信自己 你才是那个天选的 |
[12:53] | to summon M-Sec’s inner voice. | 召唤国务卿内心声音的法师 |
[12:56] | You mean that? | 你说的是真的吗 |
[12:57] | It was meant to be ironic, | 我本来是想讽刺你的 |
[12:58] | but trust me, you’re fine. | 但是相信我 你不会被炒鱿鱼 |
[13:01] | What was the meeting about? | 那这个会面到底是什么事情 |
[13:03] | That I can’t tell you. | 无可奉告 |
[13:12] | Why would anyone willingly submit themselves | 为什么会有人愿意 |
[13:15] | to a Bangkok traffic jam? | 忍受曼谷的交通堵塞 |
[13:17] | Surely I must be a tourist. | 我这样问当然是因为我是个少见多怪的游客 |
[13:20] | In fact, I was born here, | 其实 我就出生在曼谷 |
[13:22] | until I was eight years old, | 并且八岁之前都生活在这里 |
[13:24] | and I’ve always found and I lived here in Bangkok | 我早就发现 |
[13:26] | the best way to find out what people are really thinking | 了解人们真实想法的最佳方法 |
[13:29] | is to eavesdrop on the bus. | 就是在公交车上偷听 |
[13:31] | A few days ago, I was sitting behind two young men, | 几天前 我坐在两个年轻人后面 |
[13:34] | and one said to the other, | 其中的一个对另一个说 |
[13:36] | “I don’t work, but I go to temple four times a day, | 我不工作 但我一天到庙里去四次 |
[13:39] | “And with what they pay me, | 这样他们会付钱给我 |
[13:41] | I’ll have enough to buy a scooter in three months.” | 再过三个月 我就存够钱买滑板车了 |
[13:45] | Paid to pray. | 有偿祈祷 |
[13:46] | I thought, “What a fascinating contradiction.” | 我想”多有意思的矛盾啊” |
[13:49] | But then, Thailand is a land of contradiction. | 然而 泰国就是个自相矛盾的国度 |
[13:53] | A Buddhist nation that worships | 一个把自己的国王 |
[13:55] | its own king as semi-divine. | 当做半神来崇拜的佛教国家 |
[13:57] | We have gathered here | 我们聚集在这里 |
[13:58] | to examine freedom of faith all over the world, | 来探讨全世界的信仰自由 |
[14:01] | but this very country imposes on its people the worship | 但就是这个国家在强迫自己的人民 |
[14:05] | of a man nowhere recognized in its Buddhist faith. | 去崇拜一个佛教信众完全不认识的人物 |
[14:08] | Where in Buddhism does it say | 佛经中哪里有说过 |
[14:10] | one man is more divine than the other? | 一个人比另一个人更具神性 |
[14:13] | Where does it say one man | 佛经中又有哪里说过一个人和他的家族 |
[14:15] | and his family should be worth over $30 billion, | 身价应该超过三百亿美元 |
[14:18] | while many of his people starve and beg in the streets? | 而他的人民很多都在挨饿 在街头乞讨 |
[14:22] | Many will feel I should be ashamed | 很多人认为我应该为问出这样的问题 |
[14:24] | for asking these questions. | 而觉得羞耻 |
[14:26] | But I tell you… | 但我告诉你们真正让我羞耻的是 |
[14:28] | I am ashamed that it has taken me so long to ask them. | 我花了这么长时间才问出这些问题 |
[14:32] | And so, I take this moment to call for an end | 所以 我要利用这个机会来呼吁 |
[14:34] | to this family’s rule over Thailand. | 请结束这个家族对泰国的统治吧 |
[14:38] | Let the monarchy die when our king passes from this world. | 让君主制随着国王从这个世界逝去而消亡 |
[14:42] | And let the people of Thailand choose | 让泰国的人民选择自己的领袖 |
[14:44] | their own leaders, not false gods. | 而不是这些伪神 |
[15:19] | – 60 years in prison? – I should have known | -入狱六十年 -我应该早就知道 |
[15:22] | she was planning something. | 她在计划什么 |
[15:23] | There was something about her, just… | 她确实有点不太对劲 |
[15:25] | You think that that’s why she wanted you there? | 你觉得这是她希望你在场的原因 |
[15:28] | I don’t know. Maybe she thought I could bail her out. | 我不知道 也许她觉得我可以保释她 |
[15:30] | I mean, she is an American citizen. | 我是说 她是美国公民 |
[15:32] | There’s got to be something we can do. | 我们应该可以做点什么 |
[15:34] | She did violate the law against | 她确实违反了当地法律 |
[15:36] | insulting the king. | 侮辱国王 |
[15:38] | We can’t interfere. | 我们不能干涉 |
[15:40] | Well, I can’t just leave her here. | 但我也不能就把她留在那儿 |
[15:41] | Isn’t there something we can do through diplomatic channels? | 我们就不能通过外交途径做点什么吗 |
[15:43] | We can make sure | 我们只能确保 |
[15:44] | that she’s treated well, has adequate representation. | 她被友善对待并且有聘请律师的权利 |
[15:48] | Beyond that… | 除此之外… |
[15:49] | I’m sorry, babe. I-I don’t mean | 我很抱歉 宝贝 我并不想让你 |
[15:51] | to put you in the middle of all this. | 陷入这样为难的境地 |
[15:52] | I want to help, | 我很想帮忙 |
[15:54] | but Thailand is one of our biggest trading partners. | 但泰国是我们最大的贸易伙伴之一 |
[15:56] | I can only push so far, but you… | 我不能提太过分的要求 但你… |
[16:01] | You still have that invitation | 你不是仍然受到国王 |
[16:02] | to the king’s birthday celebration. | 生日宴会的邀请吗 |
[16:04] | It’s likely they don’t know | 看起来他们并不知道 |
[16:05] | about your connection to Rochana. | 你和罗西娜的关系 |
[16:07] | Uh, it… it’d be bold, | 这可能有点大胆 |
[16:09] | but you could ask for a royal pardon. | 但你可以请求国王的赦免 |
[16:12] | Are you sure? I don’t want to cause you any trouble. | 你确定 我可不想给你带来麻烦 |
[16:16] | Officially, you are representing | 官方来说 你代表 |
[16:18] | the president of the United States. | 美国总统 |
[16:20] | Unofficially, if you’re lucky enough | 非官方的说 如果你有幸能 |
[16:23] | to get your moment, use it wisely. | 能和国王面谈 一定要好好利用 |
[16:26] | And, obviously, | 很显然 |
[16:27] | we never had this conversation. | 刚才的谈话从没发生过 |
[16:28] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[16:30] | I hope you told Rochana that. | 我希望你以前也对罗西娜说过这句话 |
[16:34] | I love you, too. | 我也爱你 |
[16:40] | You just got accepted into three schools. | 你刚刚被三所学校录取了 |
[16:42] | Shouldn’t you be coasting? | 你怎么没有乐开花 |
[16:43] | No. It’s this stupid scholarship application for Vonderhauf. | 不 就是范德霍夫这个白痴奖学金申请 |
[16:46] | They want me to write yet another statement on my life journey. | 他们想要我再写一篇关于我的人生经历的文章 |
[16:48] | Like, can’t they just data-mine my social media | 他们就不能直接从我的社交媒体找资料吗 |
[16:51] | – like everyone else? – That must be so hard– | -别人都这么做的 -填完所有的表格 |
[16:53] | filling out all those forms | 让他们付钱请你去读他们学校 |
[16:54] | so that they pay you to go to their school. | 真是太难为你了 |
[16:56] | Okay, it’s not like I get the money, | 好吧 奖学金根本就到不了我手里 |
[16:58] | you know? Uh… | 你知道吗… |
[16:58] | Guys, you ready for this? Check this out. | 伙计们 准备好了吗 看看这个 |
[17:01] | Go. | 开始 |
[17:04] | There’s something happening in America. | 美国正在发生改变 |
[17:06] | We’re standing taller, seeing farther. | 我们站得更高 看得更远 |
[17:08] | In the past four years, | 在过去的四年里 |
[17:09] | the United States has restored its role as a leader | 美国又重新扮演起了 |
[17:12] | to nations all over the world, | 全球领袖的角色 |
[17:14] | bringing peace, stability and | 带来和平 稳定和协作精神 |
[17:16] | a spirit of cooperation | 并高举火炬 为全世界人民 |
[17:17] | that lifts a torch to light the way. | 照亮前进的道路 |
[17:18] | Oh, my God. Right? | 天呐 这是真的 |
[17:20] | Elizabeth McCord. She’s for all of us. | 伊丽莎白·麦考德 为我们大家而奋斗 |
[17:22] | – Oh, my God. – You guys, | -天呐 -伙计们 |
[17:23] | Mom’s actually doing it. | 妈妈真的要竞选 |
[17:25] | I know. I mean, | 我知道 |
[17:26] | I sensed it was coming, but it’s like, it’s here. | 我早就有预感 而它成真了 |
[17:29] | It’s happening. | 真的发生了 |
[17:31] | I only wish they would have used a photo with my new bangs. | 我只希望他们用了我剪了新刘海拍的照片 |
[17:33] | Oh, yeah. | 是的 |
[17:37] | Where are you going? | 你去哪里 |
[17:37] | Um, I just got to finish some college stuff. | 我去把这些申请大学的东西弄完 |
[17:41] | I am posting this everywhere. | 我要把这视频玩命分享出去 |
[17:44] | Please don’t. | 不是吧 |
[17:45] | Dr. Henry McCord. | 亨利·麦考德博士 |
[17:54] | …Elizabeth McCord. | …伊丽莎白·麦考德 |
[17:58] | Sukhsant wan keid. | 生日快乐 |
[18:00] | It is a great honor to meet Your Majesty. | 国王陛下 很荣幸能见到您 |
[18:03] | I wish you every felicitation on your birthday | 我诚挚的祝愿您生日快乐 |
[18:05] | with many celebrations to come. | 长命百岁 |
[18:08] | If I could also ask Your Majesty a favor, | 不知我是否能请求陛下帮一个忙 |
[18:11] | not for myself, but for a friend. | 不是为我自己 是为了一个朋友 |
[18:15] | I know that Rochana Arak deeply offended the monarchy | 我知道罗西娜·阿拉克在言语上深深地 |
[18:18] | with her words, but I have known her for many years, | 冒犯了君主制 但我与她相识多年 |
[18:21] | and I assure you, she wishes you no harm or insult. | 我向您保证 她对您绝无恶意和不敬 |
[18:25] | She spoke only of her hopes for the future of Thailand. | 她只是表达了自己对泰国未来的期许 |
[18:29] | This is not a topic for | 在国王陛下的生日庆典上 |
[18:30] | His Majesty’s celebration. | 聊这个话题有点不合适 |
[18:38] | In honor of Your Majesty’s celebration, | 我请求陛下以庆祝生日为名 |
[18:41] | I ask that he release himself from the burden of resentment, | 将自己从怨恨的重担中解脱出来 |
[18:45] | as the Buddha teaches, by granting the grace | 像佛陀教导的那样 通过宽恕来 |
[18:49] | of his pardon. What better way | 施与慈悲 以此来庆祝陛下生日 |
[18:51] | to honor His Majesty’s birth | 这意义非同寻常 |
[18:54] | than to grant a rebirth to a fallen daughter, | 有什么比让误入歧途的孩子重生 |
[18:59] | saving her from a lifetime in prison? | 让她免于一生的牢狱之苦更有意义呢 |
[19:16] | Dr. McCord? | 麦考德博士 |
[19:19] | The Royal Pardon will be prepared. | 陛下会赦免您的朋友 |
[19:23] | He said yes? | 他同意了 |
[19:25] | His Majesty is susceptible | 陛下很愿意听取 |
[19:27] | to the appeal of pedantic Westerners. | 西方学者的请求 |
[19:32] | Perhaps it was his time at Oxford. | 可能因为他在牛津读过书 |
[19:41] | When you said “Picnic,” | 当你说野餐的时候 |
[19:42] | I rashly thought we’d be eating outside. | 我还以为我们要在户外吃 |
[19:45] | Well, I have something sort of sensitive to discuss. | 我有些敏感问题要跟你讨论 |
[19:48] | No. | 别啊 |
[19:49] | Did my wife call you? | 我老婆打电话给你了吗 |
[19:50] | No. Why? Did you do something? | 没有 为什么 你做过什么 |
[19:53] | Not that I know of, but doesn’t mean that I didn’t screw up. | 据我所知没什么 但不表示我没搞砸什么 |
[19:56] | Back to you. | 你说吧 |
[20:00] | Mike B. Has me writing a memoir. | 麦克·巴诺要我写回忆录 |
[20:03] | – Why? – And… | -为什么 -然后… |
[20:04] | Well, we’ll get to that in minute. | 好吧 我们一会再说为什么 |
[20:07] | He’s assigned me this ghostwriter. | 他介绍了一个枪手给我 |
[20:10] | You don’t need a ghostwriter. | 你根本不需要枪手 |
[20:11] | Thanks, but I’m a little busy. | 谢谢 但是我有点忙 |
[20:12] | – Henry’s busy, he still writes books. – Why is this | -亨利也忙 他也在写书 -为什么 |
[20:14] | becoming a referendum on my time management? | 这会变成对我时间管理能力的否定 |
[20:17] | – Sorry. I’m sorry. Go on. – Okay, so, | -对不起 很抱歉 继续说 -好 |
[20:20] | he assigned me this ghostwriter. | 他介绍了一个枪手给我 |
[20:22] | And she asked me to find a moment early in my life | 她要我回忆早年人生中 |
[20:26] | when I decided I to become a leader. Ah. | 当我决定成为领袖的那个时刻 |
[20:28] | And suddenly, you can’t remember your childhood. | 然后你突然发现完全想不起来你的童年了 |
[20:30] | Well, the only thing I can remember is that… | 我唯一还记得的事情就是 |
[20:33] | that time in high school when I led the girls’ lacrosse team | 高中的时候领导女子曲棍球队 |
[20:36] | on a strike to get better practice conditions. | 进行罢工来争取更好的训练条件 |
[20:38] | That’s an interesting way to remember it. | 这就是你对这事的记忆吗 |
[20:40] | Think she wants something younger. What? | 不过我想她可能想听我更早的事 |
[20:41] | – What do you mean? – Really? | -你什么意思 -说真的 |
[20:42] | Well, as you explained it to me at the time, | 你当时跟我说这事的时候 说的是 |
[20:45] | you led an uprising to get your bench moved… | 你为了改变长凳的位置领导了一次起义 |
[20:48] | Closer to the water cooler, | 为了离饮水机近一点 |
[20:49] | Closer to the boy’s team, | 离男队近一点 |
[20:50] | – because the boys weren’t sharing. – So that you could | -因为男生们不愿意分享 -这样 |
[20:52] | chat up all the hot players. | 你就可以和长得帅的男球员搭讪 |
[20:56] | Remember? | 记得吗 |
[20:57] | No. | 不 |
[21:00] | I don’t remember it that way, no. | 我的记忆不是那样的 |
[21:03] | Halfsies? | 一人一半吗 |
[21:04] | – Sure. – Here. | -好 -给你 |
[21:07] | So, you seriously cannot think of a single instance | 所以 你真的就想不到一个 |
[21:10] | where you stepped up | 你挺身而出 |
[21:11] | and took on a more difficult leadership role? | 并担负起困难任务领导角色的例子吗 |
[21:15] | Not a one. | 一个都想不到 |
[21:16] | Perhaps the one which necessitated | 那个你不得不 |
[21:19] | you acting as both mother and father | 给一个失去亲人的小弟弟 |
[21:21] | to a bereft little brother? | 既当母亲又当父亲的故事呢 |
[21:23] | That’s different. I don’t… | 那不一样 我不 |
[21:27] | I… That was… I… | 我… 那是… 我… |
[21:28] | It was pretty fierce. | 这个故事很生猛的 |
[21:34] | So why the sudden need for a book? | 为什么突然需要一本书呢 |
[21:37] | Oh. Well, that’s the other thing. | 那是另一件事 |
[21:40] | Hang on. | 等一下 |
[21:41] | I have decided… I am running for president. | 我已经决定了… 我要竞选总统 |
[21:44] | Yes! I knew it as soon as you said “Mike B.” | 太棒了 我从你说”迈克·B”的时候就知道了 |
[21:46] | – Oh, that was your first clue? – Listen to me. | -这是你的第一线索吗 -听我说 |
[21:49] | You are gonna make a great leader. | 你会成为一个伟大的领导者的 |
[21:50] | You are far too much | 虽然你对我来说 |
[21:52] | of a pragmatist and a centrist for my taste, | 太过实用主义和中间派 |
[21:54] | but this country barely deserves someone as fine as you. | 但这个国家根本配不上你这么好的人 |
[21:56] | Yeah, you could have just shut up after “Great leader.” | 你说完”伟大领袖”之后就该打住的 |
[21:58] | That would have been better. | 那样就好多了 |
[22:01] | Sorry, Jason’s college counselor is calling. | 对不起 杰森的大学辅导员打电话来了 |
[22:04] | Oh. Jason got three scholarship offers. | 杰森获得了三份奖学金 |
[22:08] | Oh. Only three? | 只有三份 |
[22:12] | Colleen, hi. | 科琳 你好 |
[22:17] | What? | 什么 |
[22:29] | What are you doing here? | 你在这里干什么 |
[22:30] | I managed to get an audience with the king. | 我设法说服了国王 |
[22:32] | He’s granted you a royal pardon. | 他赦免了你 |
[22:34] | I’ll tell you about it as we drive, | 开车的时候我会告诉你的 |
[22:35] | but we need to leave now. | 但是我们现在必须离开 |
[22:36] | I don’t understand. Why would you do that? | 我不明白 你为什么要这么做 |
[22:40] | So that you don’t have to go to prison. | 这样你就不用蹲监狱了 |
[22:42] | So, you’re telling me I just | 所以你的意思是说 |
[22:44] | risked my life for nothing? | 我冒了生命危险 却什么都没得到 |
[22:46] | What are you talking about? Your message was heard. | 你在说什么 人们听到你的声音了 |
[22:50] | And now I’m running back to the West, | 现在我要回到西方去 |
[22:51] | where they’ll discredit me as a heretic. | 而他们将会视我为异教徒 |
[22:54] | My God, Henry, what have you done? | 天呐 亨利 你做了什么 |
[23:03] | Why would you want to spend 60 years in prison, | 你为什么希望在监狱里呆60年 |
[23:06] | never see your kids again, never meet your grandchildren? | 再也见不到你的孩子 永远见不到你的孙辈 |
[23:09] | They’re the reason I did this. | 他们就是我这样做的原因 |
[23:11] | They’d rather have you home. | 他们更想让你回家 |
[23:12] | I guarantee it. | 我保证 |
[23:13] | They’ll understand when they get older. | 他们长大后会明白的 |
[23:15] | The way you understood when your dad took off? | 就像你理解你爸爸为什么离开一样 |
[23:17] | This is completely different. | 这完全不一样 |
[23:19] | I’m trying to make a better homeland for them. | 我正努力为他们创造一个更好的家园 |
[23:21] | What is this need for martyrdom? | 为什么这需要殉难 |
[23:22] | What does it accomplish? | 这能实现什么 |
[23:24] | How can you, of all people, ask me that? | 你居然会这样问我 |
[23:27] | You lived for self-sacrifice. The military, the church. | 你为自我牺牲而活 军队 教堂 |
[23:31] | And I learned that this quest for ideological purity | 我学到了追求纯洁的思想 |
[23:34] | is a dead end. | 是死胡同 |
[23:37] | Connections with the people you love, | 与你爱的人建立的联系 |
[23:38] | that’s the only thing that will save you. | 才是唯一能够拯救你的东西 |
[23:41] | Come with me, please. | 跟我走吧 求你了 |
[23:43] | Please. | 求你了 |
[23:49] | I just wanted to do something with my life. | 我只想让我的生命有意义 |
[23:53] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[23:54] | You’re one of the most insightful scholars I know. | 你是我所知道的最有洞察力的学者之一 |
[23:57] | You’re a revered professor, you’ve raised two great kids. | 你是个受人尊敬的教授 你养了两个很棒的孩子 |
[24:01] | Nothing feels like it means anything. | 但我觉得一切都没有意义 |
[24:04] | I’m lost. | 我迷失了 |
[24:06] | You’ve been through some huge changes… | 你经历了一些巨大的变化 |
[24:08] | It’s deeper than that. | 比这还要深层 |
[24:10] | I used to be this girl on fire. | 我曾经是个无人能敌的女孩 |
[24:13] | You knew her. | 你认识她的 |
[24:16] | I guess I thought maybe I could catch fire again. | 我以为我又能变得无敌了 |
[24:21] | That girl who was on fire… was scary. | 那个无人能敌的女孩… 还挺吓人的 |
[24:27] | Is that why you broke up with me? | 这就是你跟我分手的原因吗 |
[24:30] | We were… we were so young. | 我们… 我们太年轻了 |
[24:31] | We were all testing the limits of our convictions. | 我们都在考验信念的限度 |
[24:34] | But my point is, that girl, | 但我的意思是 那个女孩 |
[24:37] | the one who would stay up | 那个愿意熬一整晚 |
[24:39] | all night arguing scripture with me, | 与我争辩经文 |
[24:41] | never letting me off the mat… | 不让我站起身的女孩 |
[24:44] | that girl was a little scary, but she was also brave. | 那个女孩有点吓人 但她也很勇敢 |
[24:48] | You need to be brave and stay in this fight, | 你需要勇敢面对这场战斗 |
[24:52] | not rot away in some prison. | 而不是在监狱里腐烂 |
[24:58] | Hey, Jace? | 小杰 |
[25:00] | Yeah, I’m, uh… I’m having popcorn for dinner. | 是的 我… 我晚餐吃爆米花 |
[25:04] | Can I talk to you for a second? | 我能跟你谈一会儿吗 |
[25:05] | I got a call from Colleen. | 我接到科琳的电话 |
[25:08] | She said that you never went online | 她说你从未在网上 |
[25:10] | to choose one of the three scholarships? | 从选定奖学金 |
[25:13] | Hang on. | 等一下 |
[25:15] | – Jason… – Give us a moment. | -杰森 -请给我们一点时间 |
[25:18] | You need to take it out. | 得拿出来了 |
[25:19] | No, no, there’s too many kernels. | 不 不 还有很多核 |
[25:20] | It’s all– It’s gonna burn. | 它们都… 都会烧着的 |
[25:21] | No, no, this is where you gotta be strong. | 不 不 这是你必须要坚定的地方 |
[25:22] | It’s gonna burn. | 它们会烧着的 |
[25:29] | Perfect. | 完美 |
[25:30] | Don’t tell me that you can time | 别告诉我你可以完美的 |
[25:32] | a bag of popcorn perfectly | 算出爆一袋爆米花所需的时间 |
[25:33] | but you missed the deadline on your scholarships? | 但却错过了选择奖学金的截止日期 |
[25:37] | Okay, I won’t tell you that. | 好吧 我不会这么说的 |
[25:39] | – Jason… – It was a conscious choice. | -杰森 -这是一个有意识的选择 |
[25:41] | Okay? I’m just… | 可以 我只是… |
[25:44] | I’m not ready to go to college. | 我还没准备好上大学 |
[25:49] | What about all those applications, | 那些申请和 |
[25:52] | and writing all those essays? | 你写的论文又算什么 |
[25:54] | You guys railroaded me because of some stupid test score. | 你们因为那个破成绩而强加于我 |
[25:59] | Okay, fine, maybe I got a little bit caught up in it. | 好吧 好吧 也许我有点迷糊了 |
[26:02] | But now I’m thinking I should just | 但现在我想我应该 |
[26:03] | take a step back, you know, get my head together. | 退一步 你知道 让我清醒一下 |
[26:08] | Been thinking about a year at a kibbutz in Israel. | 考虑去以色列的集体农场待一年 |
[26:21] | They don’t eat a lot of popcorn | 他们在集体农场里 |
[26:22] | on the collective farm. | 可没什么爆米花吃 |
[26:27] | Who’s the girl? | 那个女孩是谁 |
[26:30] | There’s no girl. | 没有女孩 |
[26:31] | Is this about your scores? | 这是关于你的成绩吗 |
[26:33] | You think you got a perfect SAT, | 你认为你有一个完美的高考成绩 |
[26:35] | so you’ve got to be a perfect student? | 所以你就必须成为一个完美的学生 |
[26:37] | It’s not like I haven’t brought home Cs before. | 我以前又不是没得过C |
[26:42] | – Look… – Look… | -听我说 -听我说 |
[26:45] | I saw the ad asking you to run for president. | 我看到了那个要求你竞选总统的广告 |
[26:49] | What ad? | 什么广告 |
[26:50] | It ended on a picture of us. | 以我们的照片结尾 |
[26:51] | There it was, all over the Internet. | 就在互联网上 |
[26:52] | Nobody even asked me. | 甚至没有人问我的意见 |
[26:55] | Oh, my God. | 我的上帝 |
[26:56] | Jason, I’m so sorry. I-I-I… | 杰森 我很抱歉 我… |
[26:59] | – Did you sign a release or something? – No, no, I… | -你有没有签什么合约 -不是的 我… |
[27:02] | That’s not right. I will fix that. | 那是不对的 我会解决的 |
[27:04] | I’ll-I’ll… | 我会… |
[27:05] | Please stop acting like you can control it, Mom. | 妈妈 别摆出一副掌控一切的样子 |
[27:07] | It just makes it worse when you can’t. | 当你掌控不了的时候 情况就更糟了 |
[27:13] | Just give me a second, | 稍等一下 |
[27:14] | – I want to cancel this meeting. – No. | -我想取消这次会议 -不用 |
[27:16] | – And then we’ll talk… – No, no. | – 然后我们再谈… -不 不用 |
[27:18] | Just keep doing what you’re doing. | 继续做你正在做的事情 |
[27:21] | I will fully support you from an avocado farm | 我将在特拉维夫城外的鳄梨农场 |
[27:23] | outside Tel Aviv. | 全力支持你 |
[27:31] | You and your brother orphaned so early in life. | 你和你弟弟这么小就成了孤儿 |
[27:34] | Talk about being tested at a tender age. | 在这么小的年龄受到如此考验 |
[27:36] | It’s so touching. | 太感人了 |
[27:39] | But this “Operation Hot Guys” story… | 但这个”热火男行动”的故事… |
[27:42] | Oh, I just threw that in there for fun. | 我只是为了好玩而放进去的 |
[27:45] | Future world diplomat using her negotiating skills | 未来世界的外交官利用谈判技巧 |
[27:47] | to gain access to handsome boys? | 获得接近帅小伙的机会 |
[27:49] | Oh, it’s gold. | 太棒了 |
[27:52] | So, I threw together a sketch | 这样 我起草了一份草稿 |
[27:54] | on how this chapter could go, if you want to take a look. | 大概写了一下这章的脉络 你要不要看一下 |
[27:57] | Yeah. | 好 |
[28:03] | Thinking you could do a pass. | 我觉得你能过一遍最好 |
[28:05] | Maybe fill in some details, inner thoughts, | 可以添一些细节 内心的想法 |
[28:08] | anything else that comes back to you. | 其他你能想起来的事情 |
[28:11] | So, is this generally how this will go? | 所以一般都是这样的吗 |
[28:14] | I’m loving this back and forth; | 我喜欢这样的交互合作 |
[28:17] | I-I think this is going to be great. | 我想这会很棒 |
[28:25] | Um… Lorraine… | 洛兰… |
[28:27] | so, you-you’ve done books for a lot of candidates. | 你为很多候选人写过书 |
[28:31] | A few. | 一些吧 |
[28:32] | How personal does it need to get? | 那书要到多私人的程度 |
[28:33] | People don’t vote for policy. | 人们不投票支持政策 |
[28:36] | They vote for people. | 他们投票支持人 |
[28:37] | It’s not totally logical. | 这不是完全合乎逻辑的 |
[28:39] | You don’t need to know about your lawyer’s childhood | 不需要了解你的律师的童年 |
[28:42] | – to trust her to represent you. – Right. | -才能相信她能代表你 -对 |
[28:45] | But voters need to feel like | 但是选民得感觉 |
[28:47] | they know their elected officials. | 他们了解他们选择的官员 |
[28:49] | The more you can share of your personal life, your family, | 你分享越多个人生活 你的家庭 |
[28:53] | the more people connect. | 人们越觉得有所联系 |
[28:57] | Don’t worry, I’ll get it out of you. | 别担心 我会挖出来的 |
[29:04] | So, I’m guessing this isn’t a booty call. | 我猜你打来不是约炮的 |
[29:07] | How could you let that Super PAC | 你怎么能让那个超级政治行动委员会 |
[29:09] | put my family in an ad without giving me a heads-up? | 不提前通知我就把我的家人放进广告里 |
[29:12] | You know the answer to that. | 你知道答案的 |
[29:13] | You have to stay out of the loop on these things. | 这些事情你不能插手 |
[29:15] | I’m clear on that, now let me make it equally clear | 这个事情我清楚 现在我也说清楚了 |
[29:18] | that nothing will be done involving my family | 在经过我的同意前 |
[29:21] | without running it by me first. | 不能发布任何包含我的家人的信息 |
[29:23] | That’s gonna be difficult. | 那会很难 |
[29:24] | If “Difficult” means doable but inconvenient, | 如果”难”的意思是可行但麻烦 |
[29:26] | consider me… inconvenient. | 那就把我当做麻烦吧 |
[29:29] | Not exactly breaking news. | 这我倒不意外 |
[29:30] | Oh, and another thing, your friend | 还有一件事 你的朋友 |
[29:32] | Lorraine Sheridan’s “Chapter”? | 洛兰·谢里登的”章节” |
[29:35] | It was just my bullet points in sentence form, | 只是把我的要点展开成句子 |
[29:37] | which she then gave back to me to flesh it out. | 结果她还拿我 让我再丰富一下 |
[29:41] | That makes sense. | 有道理 |
[29:42] | It makes sense because | 你觉得有道理是因为 |
[29:43] | you sent me a writer who’d flatter me | 你给我找了一个激发我自己 |
[29:45] | into writing this book myself. | 去写自传的作家 |
[29:47] | I told you I found the best person | 我跟你说我觉得给你写自传 |
[29:49] | to write your book. You. | 最好的人就是你自己 |
[29:50] | Okay, this stops here. | 好了 就到这吧 |
[29:53] | No more family stuff, and no book. | 不能再有家人的宣传 并且不要自传 |
[29:56] | Bess, everybody has a book. | 贝丝 每个人都有自传 |
[29:57] | Has that argument ever worked with me? | 这种理由对我有用吗 |
[29:59] | Fair point, but here’s another one: if you don’t– | 有道理 不过还有一个问题 如果你不 |
[30:01] | I’m hanging up now. | 我要挂电话了 |
[30:04] | Everything’s fine. | 一切都好 |
[30:05] | We’re on our way to the airport. | 我们在去机场的路上 |
[30:06] | – You can thank Henry. – There’s a checkpoint. | -你可以感谢亨利 -前面是个检查站 |
[30:09] | I have to go, Lawan. | 我得挂了 拉万 |
[30:10] | I’ll call you as soon as I land. | 落地后就给你打电话 |
[30:12] | Everything okay? | 一切都好吗 |
[30:13] | It’s been a rough night and day, | 这是艰难的一天 |
[30:14] | but she’s extremely relieved. | 不过她完全放心了 |
[30:16] | So am I. Thank you. | 我也是 谢谢你 |
[30:19] | What are these guys doing? | 这些人在干什么 |
[30:25] | – Get the pardon. – I got it. | -把赦免令拿出来 -明白 |
[30:32] | Is there a problem? | 有问题吗 |
[30:39] | What is… what is going on? What is… what’s happening? | 什么情况 发生什么事了 |
[30:42] | They’re trying to arrest me. | 他们要逮捕我 |
[30:43] | What? Hey, I have a pardon from the king. | 什么 我有国王的赦免令 |
[30:46] | Tell them. | 告诉他们 |
[30:53] | The king just died. | 国王刚刚去世了 |
[30:54] | – What? Wait. – They’re taking me in. | -什么 等等 -他们要逮捕我 |
[30:56] | Hang on. Rochana… | 坚持住 罗西娜 |
[31:00] | Stop. | 停下 |
[31:03] | I’m an official of the United States government. | 我是美国政府官员 |
[31:05] | – Henry! – Come now! | -亨利 -带走 |
[31:16] | There’s cheese on that. | 那里有芝士 |
[31:19] | Could you not do that? | 你能不这样吗 |
[31:20] | Sorry, I, uh, forgot about the PTSD. | 抱歉 忘了你的创伤应激障碍 |
[31:24] | What are you doing over there? | 你在那干什么呢 |
[31:25] | Um, hiding from Mom. | 躲妈妈 |
[31:27] | She found out I blew my scholarship deadlines, | 她发现我错过了我的奖学金申请截止日期 |
[31:29] | and now she’s threatening a second talk. | 现在她威胁我要再谈一次话 |
[31:32] | Dude, | 伙计 |
[31:33] | do you know how lucky you were | 你知道能得到那些奖学金 |
[31:35] | to get those scholarship offers? | 你有多幸运吗 |
[31:37] | Yes, and presumably I will still be the same | 知道 在不论多少年后 |
[31:39] | desirable prospect however many years from now | 妈妈不是总统的时候 |
[31:42] | when Mom’s not the president. | 我还会是那个有理想前程的人 |
[31:43] | Now, what does that have to do | 那跟你要去上大学 |
[31:44] | with you going to college? | 有什么关系 |
[31:48] | Okay, everything I’ve ever started– | 好吧 不论我开始做什么 |
[31:50] | football, Boy Scouts, horseback riding– | 橄榄球 童子军 还是骑马 |
[31:54] | I-I’ve always been a total screwup at first. | 我一开始都会搞砸 |
[31:56] | And now, if I screw up college, | 现在 如果我上大学搞砸了 |
[31:59] | which, let’s face it, is inevitable, | 这是不可避免的 |
[32:02] | then I cause trouble for the president of the United States. | 那我会给美国总统带来麻烦 |
[32:07] | That’s very sweet. | 真是非常贴心 |
[32:09] | In a self-sabotaging kind of way. | 用自我破坏的方式 |
[32:12] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么 |
[32:13] | – Making popcorn. Yeah, but what about the, uh, | -做爆米花 -那不是有包 |
[32:15] | mass-produced bag with all the mysteriously delicious | 大量制造的有着神秘可口的 |
[32:17] | chemical flavoring? | 化学调味的爆米花 |
[32:19] | I don’t need that. | 我不吃那个 |
[32:20] | Oh, really, you don’t? Mind blown. | 真的吗 你不吃吗 大跌眼镜 |
[32:22] | Yeah, well, this is the kind | 这就是那种 |
[32:24] | of out-of-the-box thinking that is available to you | 美国最好的大学会教你的 |
[32:27] | at America’s finest universities. | 不走寻常路的思维方式 |
[32:30] | You know, I thought you were gonna be | 我还以为你 |
[32:31] | the one person who’d support me on this. | 肯定会支持我 |
[32:34] | Yeah. It’s because I dropped out | 对 就是因为我退学了 |
[32:36] | that I am encouraging you to stick with it. All right? | 我才要鼓励你坚持下去 好吗 |
[32:38] | It never works out when you make a decision out of fear. | 在你害怕时做的决定结果都不好 |
[32:42] | Okay, it’s not fear. | 好吧 我不是害怕 |
[32:44] | I’m-I’m-I’m trying to help Mom by staying out of her way. | 我是在帮妈妈 不挡着她的路 |
[32:47] | Yeah, I think that’s just fear wearing a hat. | 是 我觉得是掩饰你的害怕 |
[32:55] | The king of Thailand has just died. | 泰国的国王刚刚去世了 |
[32:57] | There’s, like, an uprising happening. | 好像发生了暴动 |
[32:59] | – Okay, is-is Dad still there? – I think so. | -好吧 爸爸还在那吗 -应该是 |
[33:01] | Hey, guys, I’m gonna head back and, uh, work for a bit. | 孩子们 我要回去 工作一下 |
[33:04] | Yeah, it’s okay. We-we know. | 没事 我们知道 |
[33:05] | Yeah. Where’s Dad? | 是 爸爸在哪 |
[33:06] | Uh, if his flight left on time, he’s in the air. | 如果他的航班准时起飞 他在飞机上 |
[33:10] | Okay. Bye. | 好吧 拜拜 |
[33:12] | In the hours since the announcement | 查彭国王由于心脏骤停去世的消息 |
[33:13] | of King Chartpong’s death from cardiac arrest, | 刚刚发布 几小时内 |
[33:16] | the country has erupted into chaos. | 国家就陷入了暴动 |
[33:18] | A pro-democracy movement newly emboldened | 罗西娜·阿拉克教授在曼谷的 |
[33:21] | by the fiery remarks of Professor Rochana Arak | 宗教自由会议上的激烈言论 |
[33:23] | at a religious freedom conference in Bangkok | 鼓励着最新的一场支持民主的运动 |
[33:26] | is clashing violently with the grief-stricken majority | 和像宗教信仰一样敬仰君主的 |
[33:29] | who revere the monarchy | 极度忧伤的人民 |
[33:30] | with an almost religious devotion. | 产生了暴力冲突 |
[33:32] | Any more news on Henry’s arrest? | 有亨利被捕的新消息吗 |
[33:33] | – Nothing yet. – Where are we? What’s… | -还没有 -现在什么情况 |
[33:35] | They’ve sentenced Professor Arak to death. | 他们对阿克拉教授判以死刑 |
[33:38] | We’ll get him out of there, Bess. | 我们得把他救出来 贝丝 |
[33:40] | Should’ve never let him go in the first place. | 一开始就不该让他去 |
[33:43] | He-he was helping a-a friend. | 他是在帮助一个朋友 |
[33:45] | I mean, nobody could have known | 没人能知道 |
[33:47] | that any of this was gonna happen. Right? | 会发生这些事情 对吗 |
[33:51] | Right. | 对 |
[33:52] | Any luck getting through to our embassy? | 大使馆那边有进展吗 |
[33:53] | I spoke with Ambassador Faraday, | 我和法拉第大使联系了 |
[33:55] | but with all the chaos, | 不过在这种暴乱下 |
[33:57] | we’re having trouble getting any answers. | 我们很难得到任何回应 |
[33:58] | The military may be holding Henry | 军方可能以帮助阿拉克潜逃 |
[34:00] | for helping Arak escape. | 的罪名收押亨利 |
[34:01] | She wasn’t escaping. | 她不是逃跑 |
[34:02] | She had a pardon from the king. | 她有国王下达的赦免令 |
[34:05] | Which no one cares about now. | 现在没人会关心那个了 |
[34:07] | Mr. President, Elizabeth, HUMINT sources in Thailand | 总统先生 伊丽莎白 泰国的 |
[34:11] | have just confirmed | 情报部门刚刚确认 |
[34:12] | Dr. McCord is being held | 麦考德博士被关押在 |
[34:14] | at Chatuchak Prison outside Bangkok. | 曼谷外的乍都乍监狱 |
[34:16] | What do they think they’re doing? | 他们以为他们在干吗 |
[34:17] | He has diplomatic immunity. | 他有外交豁免权 |
[34:19] | I realize I have a personal stake here | 我觉得我在这有个人利害关系 |
[34:21] | and I’m willing to work it to any advantage, | 我愿意利用各种手段 |
[34:23] | make a personal appeal to the Minister of Defense. | 向国防部长以个人名义申诉 |
[34:25] | It’s an extremely volatile situation. | 形势极其不稳定 |
[34:29] | Sir, I would advise an extraction. | 总统先生 我建议撤离 |
[34:31] | Low-key, untraceable black ops. | 低调地 不可追踪地秘密行动 |
[34:34] | We have the necessary assets in place. | 我们在当地有所需的线人 |
[34:37] | Thailand’s an important ally. | 泰国是非常重要的同盟 |
[34:38] | The decision to violate | 必须慎重考虑 |
[34:39] | their sovereignty needs to be considered carefully. | 会侵犯他们主权的决定 |
[34:42] | Well, not to mention our assets | 并且我们的线人 |
[34:44] | that we would be burning on the ground. | 会被暴露 |
[34:46] | It seems to me that | 我认为 |
[34:47] | diplomatic pressure should at least be tried. | 至少应该试一下外交施压 |
[34:50] | We have no idea | 我们不知道 |
[34:51] | how long it will take for a new regime | 等新政权稳定到可以谈判 |
[34:53] | to stabilize enough for a negotiation. | 需要多久 |
[34:56] | Or if they’d even be open to them. | 或他们是否会接受谈判 |
[34:58] | I say we get Henry out | 我认为先把亨利救出来 |
[35:00] | – and explain later. – Do it. | -之后再作解释 -就这么办 |
[35:02] | Yes, sir. | 是的 阁下 |
[35:08] | 泰国 曼谷 乍都乍监狱 | |
[35:57] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事 |
[35:58] | – New prison. Move! – No, no. | -换监狱 走 -不 |
[35:59] | Wait, wait. Uh, my friend, Rochana Arak. | 等等 我的朋友罗西娜·阿拉克 |
[36:01] | I’m not going any place till I know where she is. | 在知道她在哪里之前我哪儿都不去 |
[36:03] | Dr. McCord, you are going home, | 麦考德博士 你要回家了 |
[36:05] | and Professor Arak, too. | 阿拉克教授也是 |
[36:08] | Move! | 走 |
[36:26] | 指挥官就给了我们这几张纸 他给我们的东西肯定不会错 | |
[36:43] | Looks like I’m just in time. | 看来我很及时 |
[36:49] | You must be Rochana’s daughter. | 你一定是罗西娜的女儿 |
[36:50] | Thank you so much for bringing my mother home. | 非常感谢你能把我妈妈带回家 |
[36:52] | Of course. | 不客气 |
[36:53] | – And you must be Alexander. – Yeah. | -你一定是亚历山大 -是 |
[36:56] | Mom. | 妈妈 |
[37:02] | Good conference? | 会议还好吗 |
[37:03] | – It was pretty good. – Was it? | -非常好 -是吗 |
[37:05] | I’m so sorry, babe. | 我很抱歉 宝贝 |
[37:08] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[37:09] | I love you, too. | 我也爱你 |
[37:12] | Elizabeth, I can’t possibly thank you enough. | 伊丽莎白 我对你感激不尽 |
[37:17] | Welcome home. | 欢迎回家 |
[37:27] | Thank you, my old friend. | 谢谢你 我的老朋友 |
[37:32] | Hey. You’re not lost. | 你没有迷失 |
[37:51] | Welcome back, ma’am. | 欢迎回来 国务卿 |
[37:52] | Thailand update. The military has solidified control | 泰国新消息 军队加强了国家控制 |
[37:54] | of the country and they’re, how to put it, | 怎么说呢 |
[37:56] | less than pleased that we violated their sovereignty | 对于我们侵犯他国主权 |
[37:58] | by freeing Rochana Arak from justice. | 放走罗西娜·阿拉克的行为非常不满 |
[38:02] | No mention of the fact that they arrested an advisor | 没有提及他们逮捕了一名 |
[38:06] | to the president of the United States, | 美国总统的顾问 |
[38:08] | who– oh, that’s right– happens to be | 恰巧这名顾问又是 |
[38:09] | the husband of the Secretary of State? | 国务卿的丈夫 |
[38:11] | Didn’t come up, no. | 没有提及 |
[38:12] | Nor the part where they were planning | 同样没有提及的是他们计划 |
[38:14] | to execute an American citizen. | 处决一名美国公民 |
[38:16] | Okay, call, um, | 联系国安局的希尔 |
[38:19] | NSA Hill and have her set up a meeting | 请她安排一次与 |
[38:21] | with the National Security Council so we can, | 国家安全委员会的会议 |
[38:24] | I don’t know, figure out our response | 以便我们作出 |
[38:26] | to the evolving situation. | 对当前局势的回应 |
[38:27] | – Okay? Thank you. Bye. – Yes, ma’am. | -好吗 谢谢 -是的 国务卿 |
[38:28] | – Ma’am, can I have a word? – Yes. Good. | -国务卿 我能说句话吗 -当然 |
[38:32] | Um, first of all, welcome back. | 首先 欢迎回来 |
[38:34] | I’m really glad Henry’s okay. | 我很高兴亨利没事 |
[38:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[38:38] | So, what’s up? | 怎么了 |
[38:40] | Uh… okay, uh… yeah. Look, uh, | 好吧 |
[38:45] | I-I know you haven’t been happy with my work lately | 我知道你对我最近的工作表现不满意 |
[38:48] | and I know you’ve been looking at Lorraine Sheridan. | 我知道你在见洛兰·谢里登 |
[38:50] | And I just want to say Lorraine is amazing | 我只想说洛兰很优秀 |
[38:54] | and I get why you want an upgrade, | 我也明白你为何想要有所提高 |
[38:56] | but if I could just explain myself… | 但我能不能为自己辩解 |
[38:57] | Matt, if I could just stop you right there. | 马特 我打断一下 |
[38:59] | Um, I’m not looking to replace you. | 我没有找人代替你 |
[39:02] | I was looking into writing a book for, like, a minute, | 我是曾想出本自传 但就想了一分钟 |
[39:07] | but that’s over. | 已经过去了 |
[39:08] | Lorraine does ghostwriting? | 洛兰为你代笔 |
[39:10] | How do you, uh, get on the list for that gig? | 您怎么卷入这个事儿了 |
[39:14] | You make yourself invaluable to your overworked boss | 你对工作过度的上司来说是无价的 |
[39:18] | by taking each topic that comes your way | 处理每一个交给你的主题 |
[39:21] | and finding the beating heart in it, | 寻找主题中的灵魂 |
[39:22] | whether it’s a, I don’t know, | 不管是 |
[39:24] | welcome address at a trade conference | 贸易交流会上的欢迎辞 |
[39:27] | or honoring your colleagues on the eve of a shutdown. | 还是关门年会上对同事的表彰 |
[39:32] | I don’t know. | 我也不知道 |
[39:36] | Maybe I don’t say it enough, but… | 可能我说的不够 但是 |
[39:40] | I am grateful every day | 我每天都心怀感激 |
[39:42] | for the soul and grace that you bring to your work. | 感谢你在工作中全身心的投入 |
[39:46] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:49] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:51] | I’m sorry. It’s just been a rough couple days. | 对不起 只是最近这段日子不好过 |
[39:53] | – I know. – I’m sorry. | -我知道 -很抱歉 |
[39:54] | No, that’s… we good? | 没关系 没事了吧 |
[39:57] | – Yeah. – Okay. | -没事 -好了 |
[40:00] | And, listen, if you ever do decide to write a book, | 不管您什么时候想出自传 |
[40:03] | I-I’d love to help you out. | 我很乐意帮忙 |
[40:05] | I promise I won’t be too much of a diva about the rewrites. | 我保证不会过度改写 |
[40:07] | Only when I no longer need you in the trenches | 除非我不再需要你每天跟我 |
[40:10] | with me every day. Deal? | 在前线并肩作战 说定了 |
[40:12] | – Yeah. – Okay. | -是 -好的 |
[40:16] | Yeah, deal. | 说定了 |
[40:19] | So, that’s it? | 就这样了吗 |
[40:20] | Three scholarships just… | 三份奖学金就 |
[40:22] | …gone with the wind? | 一去不复返了 |
[40:22] | I’m gonna call Colleen tomorrow. | 我明天给科琳打电话 |
[40:25] | Although she did seem pretty definitive. | 虽然她看上去很权威 |
[40:28] | What the hell? I mean… | 什么情况 |
[40:29] | I think he just got scared. | 我想他是吓到了 |
[40:31] | You know, the whole White House thing. | 整个白宫事件 |
[40:34] | The attention, the pressure, | 所有的关注 压力 |
[40:37] | no more privacy. | 没有隐私 |
[40:39] | I know you’re having some of the same doubts. | 我知道你也有同样的困扰 |
[40:43] | Listen, when Rochana did that incredibly dangerous thing | 当罗西娜做出那样极其危险的事 |
[40:48] | and defended her beliefs | 来捍卫她的信仰 |
[40:50] | without any regard for the consequences… | 丝毫不计后果 |
[40:54] | let’s just say I got a real glimpse of my own behavior. | 我才对自己的行为有了审视 |
[40:58] | There’s no comparison. | 这不能相提并论 |
[40:59] | I just need to choose my moments. | 我需要有所取舍 |
[41:04] | You know I’m gonna need your guidance. | 你知道我需要你的指导 |
[41:06] | And that’s what you’re gonna get, my guidance. | 我会给你我的指导 |
[41:09] | Okay. | 好的 |
[41:10] | Hi. Can I come in? | 我能进来吗 |
[41:11] | Yeah. Get in here. | 进来 |
[41:13] | – Easy. – Okay, um… | -放轻松 -好的 |
[41:16] | I just wanted to say that I thought about it | 我想说的是我考虑过了 |
[41:18] | and I’m not going to a kibbutz next year. | 我明年不去以色列的集体农场了 |
[41:22] | I don’t think I’m up to speed on anything. | 我想不是我推动了什么事吧 |
[41:23] | – I’ll fill you in later. – No, | -待会再跟你细说 -不 |
[41:25] | look, I’m-I’m gonna call Colleen tomorrow | 我明天给科琳打电话 |
[41:26] | and I’m gonna see if I can still get that scholarship. | 看看我是不是还能拿到奖学金 |
[41:29] | If you can’t, you’re getting a job. | 如果不能 你只能找份工作 |
[41:31] | – Two jobs. – Got it. | -两份 -明白 |
[41:32] | And I will try not to wake up in a dumpster. | 我尽量不在垃圾箱里醒来 |
[41:35] | Or-or… | 或者 |
[41:37] | you know, get an “F” on a history paper | 在关于我母亲的外交政策的 |
[41:39] | about my own mother’s foreign policy. | 历史试卷上考不及格 |
[41:41] | Oh, you’re really doing a number on yourself there, dude. | 你这是妄自菲薄 哥们 |
[41:42] | I know. I-I know. | 我知道 |
[41:44] | Look, for a self-declared anarchist, | 我自称是无政府主义者 |
[41:45] | turns out I’m surprisingly concerned | 结果却对维持现状 |
[41:47] | about maintaining the status quo. | 出奇得关心 |
[41:49] | Plus I can’t live my life scared of something | 此外我的人生不能被 |
[41:51] | that may or may not happen. | 还不确定的事情吓倒 |
[41:58] | – Ali! Stevie! – Go get your sisters. | -艾莉 斯蒂芬 -去把姐姐们叫过来 |
[42:01] | Oh, okay. | 好 |
[42:02] | So, first of all, I just want to say | 首先 我要说的是 |
[42:04] | that there’s nothing more important to me | 对我而言 没有什么比我的家庭 |
[42:06] | than this family and making sure that everybody feels safe | 比确保每个家人感到安全和受到尊重 |
[42:11] | and respected. | 更重要 |
[42:13] | And that’s going to be even more important than ever | 而且在我宣布竞选总统以后 |
[42:18] | when I announce my candidacy for president. | 这将变得更为重要 |
[42:21] | Are we allowed to say that we sort of already knew? | 我们能说我们早就知道了吗 |
[42:24] | I know. That stupid ad totally snaked my wave. | 我就知道 那个破宣传片抢了先 |
[42:28] | The ad was-was kind of amazing. | 宣传片挺棒的 |
[42:30] | Yeah, I-I don’t approve of their tactics, | 我不赞同他们的策略 |
[42:31] | but I do support their candidate. | 但是我支持他们的候选人 |
[42:34] | Mom! | 妈妈 |
[42:35] | Wait, wait, wh-what ad? | 等等 什么宣传片 |
[42:43] | Oh, honey. | 亲爱的 |
[42:43] | – Can I see it? – Oh, Dad. | -我能看看吗 -爸爸 |