时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | I underestimated you, | 我低估了你 |
[00:04] | but there’s a kid in there. | 但我们有了孩子 |
[00:07] | He doesn’t know his father screwed up. | 他还不知道他爸爸搞砸了 |
[00:10] | It feels like a girl. | 我觉得怀的是女孩 |
[00:12] | You can sack me. Off the project. | 你能解雇我 把我踢出项目 |
[00:14] | – For what cause? – Truancy. | -理由呢 -玩忽职守 |
[00:16] | Whatever insults your daughter suffered at my hands. | 你女儿被我刁难辱骂过 |
[00:19] | Congratulations, Paul. | 恭喜你 保罗 |
[00:21] | I’ve decided you will be the Site X liaison. | 我决定让你担任X工厂的联络员 |
[00:24] | What? | 什么 |
[00:26] | W.D. Lorentzen. | W·D·洛伦岑 |
[00:28] | Oh, I see my reputation precedes me. | 看来您已经听说过我了 |
[00:33] | Liza. | 莱莎 |
[00:34] | Did they tell you anything about Frank? | 他们跟你说法兰克的事了吗 |
[00:35] | I’ve been hired to write the official chronicle | 我已经被雇佣撰写 |
[00:38] | of the Manhattan Engineering District. | 曼哈顿工程特区正史 |
[00:40] | It wasn’t just a campus you shared with Mr. Lorentzen. | 但你和洛伦岑先生共同的过去可不止于学校吧 |
[00:43] | I wonder how your husband would feel about | 不知道听说了你和老情人的见面 |
[00:45] | your recent visit with an old flame. | 你的丈夫会作何想法呢 |
[00:47] | You say you love Callie? | 你说你爱凯莉 |
[00:49] | This is quite a way of showing it. | 这示爱方式还真特别 |
[00:51] | Crystal City, Texas. | 德克萨斯州克里斯托市 |
[00:52] | That’s where they’re keeping your husband. | 你丈夫被他们关在那里 |
[00:55] | I can get you as far as the Lamy Train Depot. | 我最远能把你送到拉米火车站 |
[00:58] | Liza. | 莱莎 |
[01:00] | How did you… | 你怎么 |
[01:02] | I have to go back to the Hill. | 我得回镇上 |
[01:05] | You just escaped from a prison. | 你刚从监狱里逃出来 |
[01:07] | You want to break back into one? | 又想往另一座监狱里闯 |
[01:15] | Frank. | 法兰克 |
[01:18] | They told me… | 他们跟我说… |
[01:20] | I thought you were dead. | 我以为你死了 |
[01:24] | They lied. | 他们骗了你 |
[01:31] | Everything that we’ve been fighting against, | 所以我们一直在对抗的东西 |
[01:35] | racing Heisenberg’s bomb to the finish, | 追赶海森堡原子弹项目的进度 |
[01:38] | it’s all science fiction. | 都是科幻 |
[01:40] | What is this? | 这是怎么回事 |
[01:42] | Charlie, just listen to me. | 查理 你听我说 |
[01:44] | The Magpie intelligence was all fabricated | 那个间谍麦格派是我们自己的政府 |
[01:48] | by our own government. | 编造出来的 |
[01:50] | They stole my math, they fed it back to us. | 他们偷了我的公式推导 再拿来给我们看 |
[01:52] | What happened to you, Frank? Where have you been? | 你发生了什么 法兰克 你之前在哪 |
[01:54] | None of that matters. | 那不重要 |
[01:55] | All that matters is that we have been chasing our own tail. | 重要的是我们一直在追赶自己的脚步 |
[01:59] | Every single testing yield, every differential equation. | 每一次测试数据 每一个微分方程 |
[02:02] | The Germans are ahead of us. | 德国人领先于我们 |
[02:04] | They’re accelerating. | 他们在加快进度 |
[02:05] | Magpie showed us designs of a working Gadget. | 麦格派给我们发来了已成型的小玩意设计 |
[02:07] | No, God damn it. Listen. | 不 该死的 你听我说 |
[02:08] | There is no Nazi bomb. | 纳粹根本没有原子弹 |
[02:10] | Period. | 就这样 |
[02:13] | The Army manipulated us. | 军方玩弄了我们 |
[02:21] | And you– you and I, Charlie. | 而你 你跟我 查理 |
[02:24] | We have to stop this train. | 我们得阻止这一切 |
[02:35] | You’re not thinking straight. | 你脑子不太清楚 |
[02:37] | I don’t know what the hell happened to you, | 我不知道你到底经历过什么 |
[02:39] | what you heard about the Germans– | 你听说关于德国人的事 |
[02:40] | What I know about the Germans. | 是我确切知道关于德国人的事 |
[02:42] | Dozens of sites, thousands of workers, | 许多家工厂 成千上万的工人 |
[02:44] | hundreds of millions of dollars. | 上千万的经费 |
[02:46] | You think the government’s | 你觉得政府就肯 |
[02:47] | just gonna roll up our rug and head home? | 直接打包回家吗 |
[02:50] | The Gadget’s an inevitability. | 小玩意计划势在必行 |
[02:54] | You don’t even care that we’ve been lied to. | 你根本不在乎我们被骗了 |
[02:58] | Why? | 为什么 |
[03:00] | Because you finally got a seat at the grown-ups’ table? | 因为你终于在成年人的舞台上有了一席之地 |
[03:05] | There’s a war on three continents | 现在的战争横跨三个大洲 |
[03:08] | and a madman rounding up Jews. | 一个疯子正在围捕犹太人 |
[03:12] | I saved you. | 我救过你 |
[03:14] | That was your choice. | 那是你的选择 |
[03:20] | Abby. | 艾比 |
[03:23] | What’s wrong? | 出什么事了 |
[03:26] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧 |
[03:29] | I– I’m not feeling very well. | 我不太舒服 |
[03:31] | I think you should leave. | 你该离开了 |
[03:41] | Dr. Winter, come with us, sir. | 温特博士 请跟我们走一趟 先生 |
[03:48] | There’s these mice. | 有这么一群老鼠 |
[03:50] | They have a serious problem. | 它们有一个很严峻的问题 |
[03:52] | This cat, see, is making their life very difficult. | 有这么只猫 让它们的日子很难过 |
[03:56] | So all the mice gather together. | 所以所有老鼠聚集在一起 |
[03:57] | They’re full of ideas about how to handle the cat, | 它们想出了各种各样对付猫的办法 |
[03:59] | but this one mouse, | 但有这么一只老鼠 |
[04:01] | he has the answer. | 它想到了答案 |
[04:03] | Attach a bell to the cat | 在猫身上系个铃铛 |
[04:05] | and they’ll always know when he’s coming or going. | 它们就总能知道猫的去向 |
[04:08] | This is a good mouse, a smart mouse. | 这是只很棒的老鼠 聪明绝顶 |
[04:11] | And his plan wins out. | 所以开始执行他的计划 |
[04:12] | He gets a ribbon and little bell all his own. | 它搞到了一条丝带和一个小铃铛 |
[04:16] | Out he marches, hero of all mice. | 它这就出发了 简直是鼠中英雄 |
[04:20] | What do you think happened next? | 你觉得之后发生了什么 |
[04:24] | The cat ate him up. | 猫把它吃掉了 |
[04:27] | Everyone on this Hill’s gonna know about Magpie. | 这镇上所有人都会知道麦格派 |
[04:30] | That name… | 那个名字 |
[04:32] | will never be spoken again. | 永远都不会被提起 |
[04:33] | And what do you think will happen | 你觉得如果我告诉《纽约时报》 |
[04:34] | when I tell “The New York Times” | 你让我经受的一切 |
[04:35] | about what you put me through? | 会发生什么 |
[04:38] | You spent the past two months stationed at a secret location, | 你过去两周驻扎在一个秘密营地 |
[04:42] | hard at work, no time to write. | 一直辛苦工作 没时间写信 |
[04:44] | But then, once again, you ruffled the wrong feathers | 但然后 又一次 你惹火了不该惹的人 |
[04:47] | and they showed you the door. | 然后你被他们踢走 |
[04:48] | Boy, you are just full of fables, aren’t you? | 老天 你可真是会编故事 |
[04:51] | Your wife pulled Einstein’s string | 你老婆找了爱因斯坦帮忙 |
[04:53] | and a bell rang in the White House. | 他找到了白宫里的高层 |
[04:55] | Now you’re in my house, | 现在你在我的领地里 |
[04:56] | and in my house you don’t violate the Espionage Act. | 在我的领地里你休想违犯《反间谍法案》 |
[05:00] | You know I’m not a Goddamn spy. | 你知道我不是间谍 |
[05:02] | No, you’re what a judge would call a repeat offender. | 当然不是 法官嘴里的惯犯就是你这种人 |
[05:05] | Half an hour ago, you shared highly classified information | 半小时前 你将顶级机密 |
[05:08] | with another scientist. | 告诉了另一位科学家 |
[05:09] | Would you care to listen to the recording | 你想听听录音 |
[05:11] | or spare us both the embarrassment? | 还是想避免那种尴尬场面 |
[05:15] | What makes you think Isaacs won’t talk now? | 你为什么认为艾萨克不会乱说 |
[05:17] | Dr. Isaacs is, how would he put it, | 艾萨克博士 我想想怎么说 |
[05:20] | pot-committed. | 被套牢了 |
[05:27] | Pick a hand, Dr. Winter. | 左右手挑一个 温特博士 |
[05:29] | Go before a Judge, | 去让法官来审 |
[05:31] | spend the rest of the war back where you just came from, | 在战争结束前都待在你刚离开的地方 |
[05:35] | or… | 或者是 |
[05:50] | Enlistment papers. | 入伍材料 |
[05:55] | You’re gonna send me to the front. | 你要送我上前线 |
[06:00] | You’ll stay right here | 你会待在这里 |
[06:03] | as a private in the Army under my command. | 做一名听我指挥的二等兵 |
[06:07] | Unless you test my patience. | 除非你想试验我的耐心 |
[06:08] | Then you’ll get a one-way ride to the Pacific. | 那时你会拿到一张去太平洋战场的单程机票 |
[06:12] | Why keep me on the Hill? | 为什么把我留在镇上 |
[06:16] | God hung the stars in the sky. | 上帝在天空悬挂群星 |
[06:19] | He brought us both here for a reason. | 祂指引我们来到这里必有祂的目的 |
[06:21] | I traveled His earth for 58 years to arrive at this desk. | 我在这世上混迹了58年坐到了这个位置 |
[06:25] | It’s my mission. | 这是我的使命 |
[06:28] | Maybe you’ll find yours digging ditches. | 也许你会发现挖战壕才是你的使命 |
[06:33] | Now go say good-bye to your wife. | 现在去跟你妻子道别吧 |
[06:40] | I’ll be out in just a minute. | 我很快就出来 |
[06:48] | Let’s get right back in the car and get out of here. | 我们马上上车离开这里 |
[06:51] | There’s an MP waiting outside to take me to the barracks. | 有宪兵在外面等着带我回兵营 |
[06:55] | The barracks? | 兵营 |
[06:58] | He doesn’t want me to see you. | 他不想让我来见你 |
[07:00] | Says we’re more trouble together than we are apart. | 说我们两个在一起比分开会惹出更多麻烦 |
[07:04] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[07:05] | Fine, I’ll go to Princeton | 那好 我回普林斯顿 |
[07:06] | and then I can tell the world what– | 然后告诉全世界他们 |
[07:08] | Liza. | 莱莎 |
[07:12] | He won’t let you leave either. | 他也不会让你离开的 |
[07:17] | No. | 不 |
[07:18] | No, you told me two days. | 不 你告诉过我只要两天 |
[07:24] | I am gonna figure this out. | 我会解决这一切的 |
[07:27] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[07:30] | And how long will that take? | 这次你需要多久 |
[07:48] | Your attention. | 全体注意 |
[07:50] | All maintenance personnel are invited to join us to ring in 1945 | 欢迎所有维修人员参加今晚的跨年晚会 |
[07:54] | at tonight’s big New Year’s Eve jamboree. | 一起敲响欢迎1945年的钟声 |
[08:16] | Thanks for coming in to see me today, Frank. | 多谢你今天来见我 法兰克 |
[08:18] | I’m sure you have better ways to ring in the New Year. | 我肯定你本来有更好的跨年计划 |
[08:20] | I didn’t have a choice. | 我没的选择 |
[08:22] | But you did choose to come back to the Hill six months ago. | 但你确实选择在半年前回到了镇上 |
[08:25] | Best-educated grunt in the history of the US military. | 美国军方历史上学历最高的步兵 |
[08:28] | What do you say we unbury that lead? | 我把这个写出来怎么样 |
[08:35] | Excuse me. | 打扰一下 |
[08:37] | I’m gonna need a drink. | 我得喝一杯 |
[09:17] | Well, it’s hard to believe what can happen in one year. | 很难相信一年内发生了什么 |
[09:20] | Thin Man fizzles, implosion becomes the mot juste, | 瘦子计划搁浅了 内爆成了香饽饽 |
[09:24] | Isaacs lands on Boardwalk. | 艾萨克坐上了第一把交椅 |
[09:26] | Meanwhile, one of the brightest scientists in the world | 与此同时 世上最聪明的科学家之一 |
[09:29] | reemerges on the Hill, | 重新出现在了镇上 |
[09:31] | only he’s shining shoes and flying salutes. | 只不过他是来给人刷鞋敬礼的 |
[09:37] | Help me solve for X. | 给我解释一下到底怎么回事 |
[09:40] | I was working at another site. | 我之前在别的营地工作 |
[09:43] | I pissed on the wrong pair of loafers in Washington. | 惹毛了某位华盛顿的大人物 |
[09:45] | So you waltz in the gates, | 所以你飞速穿过大门 |
[09:47] | go to the military office and enlist? | 跑到军方办公室应征入伍了 |
[09:49] | Kind of hard to believe. | 有点难以让人相信啊 |
[09:50] | It’ll fit in with the rest of the propaganda in your, | 这很符合你这篇用于政治宣传的 |
[09:54] | official history. | 官方历史 |
[09:57] | I understand there were some information breaches this past year. | 我明白过去一年发生过机密泄露 |
[10:00] | That, um, Colonel Darrow was brought in to lock the place down. | 所以达罗上校才会被派来封锁这里 |
[10:06] | Is that a question? | 你是在问我吗 |
[10:07] | The Colonel doesn’t strike me as a man | 我并不觉得上校是那种 |
[10:08] | who retails in second chances. | 会给人第二次机会的人 |
[10:11] | So why would he give you one? | 所以为什么他给了你第二次机会 |
[10:14] | Did Darrow send you here to test me? | 是达罗派你来测试我的吗 |
[10:17] | I made a request and he granted it. | 我提出要求 而他同意了 |
[10:22] | So can we just start from the beginning? | 不如我们重新再来一遍吧 |
[10:28] | Eventually, I found my way to the barracks. | 我最后终于找到了去兵营的路 |
[10:37] | Welcome back, sir. | 欢迎回来 长官 |
[10:38] | I was just reading a letter from Callie. | 我刚才正在读凯莉寄来的信 |
[10:40] | Uh, two things– | 有两件事 |
[10:42] | we don’t discuss my daughter | 你别跟我谈论我女儿 |
[10:44] | and you don’t call me sir. You outrank me. | 还有别叫我长官 你的军衔比我高 |
[10:46] | Yes, uh, Doctor, Private? | 好吧 叫你博士还是二等兵 |
[10:49] | – Frank. – Okay. | -法兰克 -好的 |
[10:51] | Which rack is mine? | 我的床铺在哪 |
[10:53] | I think they have you over here. | 他们应该把你安排在那边了 |
[10:56] | The Colonel put you to work. What did he have you doing? | 上校派你去干活 具体让你干什么 |
[11:00] | Same as every other soldier here. | 跟这里的其他士兵一样 |
[11:02] | And what did your old group think | 你以前的小组成员看到你 |
[11:04] | when they saw you back on the Hill in uniform? | 以军人身份重回镇上 他们有何感想 |
[11:07] | I don’t get it. How’d you wind up in the chimp suit? | 我不明白 你怎么穿上军装了呢 |
[11:09] | They’re not drafting the rest of us, are they? | 他们不会征我们其他人入伍吧 |
[11:11] | No, you all get to keep your civvies. | 不会 你们可以继续保持平民身份 |
[11:13] | It’s complicated, but, | 一言难尽 但 |
[11:15] | I volunteered. | 是我自愿入伍的 |
[11:17] | What? Why on earth would you do that? | 什么 你为什么要那么做 |
[11:19] | Frank, we really need you back in implosion. | 法兰克 我们真的很需要你回归内爆组 |
[11:22] | Leadership doesn’t see it that way. | 领导层可不这么认为 |
[11:24] | Just keep your heads down, all right? Do your work. | 你们保持低调就行 好好干活 |
[11:27] | And you did your work. | 而你继续干体力活 |
[11:30] | But you’re a scientist. | 但你是名科学家 |
[11:31] | I mean, eventually somebody had the novel idea | 我是说最终总会有人大胆提出 |
[11:33] | to get your hands on some science, right? | 为你安排些跟科学相关的工作 对吧 |
[11:36] | Wrestling equations with the ladies in the computer pool? | 在计算机房跟女士们一起做计算吗 |
[11:39] | I guess you could call it that. | 我猜这可能算吧 |
[11:41] | Would you say you were a good soldier? | 你觉得自己算是名好士兵吗 |
[11:43] | I did my job. | 我做好了本职工作 |
[11:45] | You follow orders? | 你服从命令吗 |
[11:46] | Every soldier follows orders. | 每一位士兵都服从命令 |
[11:49] | What about Private First Class Dunlavey? | 那一等兵登勒维呢 |
[11:51] | Did he follow orders? | 他服从命令吗 |
[11:56] | Dunlavey always followed orders. | 登勒维一向都谨遵指令 |
[12:05] | At ease, Doctor, Private, sir. | 在休息啊 博士 二等兵 长官 |
[12:08] | – You smoke? – I quit. | -你抽烟吗 -戒了 |
[12:11] | If at first you don’t succeed… | 如果一开始你没戒掉的话 |
[12:21] | That’s a neat lighter. | 这打火机很不错 |
[12:22] | It’s a good luck charm. | 是我的护身符 |
[12:24] | I used it in the trenches to read the funnies. | 在战壕里我用它看连环画 |
[12:42] | So you heard from Callie? | 你有凯莉的消息吗 |
[12:44] | Thought we had a rule. | 我以为规矩是不能提她 |
[12:46] | I can’t make the rules. | 规矩不由我定 |
[12:48] | You outrank me, remember? | 你军衔比我高 记得吗 |
[12:51] | She hasn’t sent a letter in a while. | 她有段时间没给我写信了 |
[12:54] | Read the last one about a billion times. | 她的上一封信我已经读了无数遍 |
[12:56] | She talks all about Montreal. | 她信里一直在讲蒙特利尔的事 |
[12:58] | She says the police ride horses. | 她说那里警察都骑马 |
[13:01] | She always wanted to live in a big city. | 她一直想去大城市生活 |
[13:05] | When I got here, i was the loneliest guy on planet Earth. | 我刚到这时 感觉自己是地球上最孤单的人 |
[13:09] | I hated it. | 我很讨厌这里 |
[13:11] | The air’s so dry and the people. | 空气很干 还有这里的人 |
[13:13] | It’s like being smothered. | 感觉快要窒息了 |
[13:17] | But then I met your daughter. | 但我之后遇到了你女儿 |
[13:21] | All of a sudden the air was the cleanest air I ever smelled. | 突然之间我觉得这里的空气是世上最新鲜的 |
[13:26] | I’d do anything to see her, sir. | 为了见她我什么都愿意做 长官 |
[13:32] | But it’ll be a long time till he sees Callie again, won’t it? | 但他要想再见凯莉还得等很久吧 |
[13:37] | Attention! | 立正 |
[13:47] | I’ve got happy news. | 我有好消息要宣布 |
[13:49] | Some of you lucky soldiers are gonna be given the opportunity | 你们中间有几位幸运的士兵将有机会 |
[13:51] | to take up arms overseas. | 去海外参战 |
[13:53] | The following men report to Lieutenant Dreidger at 0800. | 念到名字的人明早八点向德瑞吉尔中尉报道 |
[13:58] | Private Dobbs, Sergeant Salera, | 道波斯二等兵 萨莱拉中士 |
[14:01] | Lance Corporal Bondurant, | 准下士邦德朗 |
[14:03] | Private Kaposi, | 卡波西二等兵 |
[14:06] | and Private First Class Dunlavey. | 和一等兵登勒维 |
[14:10] | Good luck to you, gentlemen. | 祝你们好运 先生们 |
[14:13] | You’re dismissed. | 大家解散 |
[14:19] | They told me it would never happen. | 他们告诉过我不会送我上战场的 |
[14:20] | Finally something to write Callie about. | 终于有事情可以写信告诉凯莉了 |
[14:26] | He’s in the rear command of the Pacific? | 他在太平洋战场的后方指挥所工作吗 |
[14:29] | Radio ops, yeah? | 做无线电报员 对吧 |
[14:30] | Liza would know better than I would. | 莱莎应该比我更清楚 |
[14:33] | She’s better at writing. | 而且她更擅长写作 |
[14:34] | Dunlavey’s the only soldier he sent to Saipan. | 他只派了登勒维一名士兵去塞班岛 |
[14:37] | Why do you think that is? | 你觉得他为什么那么做 |
[14:42] | Frank? | 法兰克 |
[14:46] | Well, you’re the man’s shill. Why don’t you ask him? | 你是那家伙的喉舌 不如你自己去问他 |
[14:53] | I think we’re done here. | 我们就到这里吧 |
[15:09] | Colonel Darrow! | 达罗上校 |
[15:13] | Saipan? | 塞班岛 |
[15:15] | Private Dunlavey enlisted to serve his country, Frank, | 一等兵登勒维入了伍就要为国效力 法兰克 |
[15:17] | just like you. | 跟你一样 |
[15:18] | You sent him to the bloodiest theater in the Goddamn war. | 你把他派去了这场战争中最像人间炼狱的地方 |
[15:21] | I know how fond he is of you and your wife. | 我知道他有多么仰慕你和你妻子 |
[15:23] | I’m sure he’ll write. | 他肯定会写信的 |
[15:27] | When I give an order, I expect it to be followed. | 当我下了命令 我希望它能被服从 |
[15:31] | No more late-night visits to the medical clinic. | 不许再在深夜探访医疗诊所 |
[15:35] | What, you– | 什么 你 |
[15:36] | you did this because I went to visit my wife? | 你这么做就因为我去见了我妻子 |
[15:40] | You’re dismissed, Private. | 你可以解散了 二等兵 |
[16:22] | And lastly, the arid climate can be very hard on an infant, | 最后一点 干燥气候对婴儿影响可能比较大 |
[16:26] | so your baby may need to feed more frequently. | 所以给你们孩子喂食的次数可能得更频繁 |
[16:29] | I was told there’d be formula. | 别人告诉我有配方食品 |
[16:36] | Yes, infant formula needs to be reconstituted with water | 对 婴儿配方食品需要加水稀释 |
[16:40] | and so I excluded it from the packages as a precaution. | 所以保险起见我把它从包裹里拿出来了 |
[16:43] | If you have any further questions? | 你们还有别的问题吗 |
[16:47] | Good afternoon, ladies. | 下午愉快 女士们 |
[16:49] | If your infant develops a rash or trouble feeding, | 如果你们的婴儿起了皮疹或是呼吸困难 |
[16:52] | please contact a nurse. | 请跟护士联系 |
[16:55] | Abby, it’s been a while. | 艾比 有阵子没见你了 |
[16:58] | Are you here to see Dr. Adelman? | 你是来见阿德尔曼医生的吗 |
[16:59] | No, | 不 |
[17:01] | one of the nurses told me you were conducting | 有一位护士告诉我你正在对怀孕情况 |
[17:03] | a study on pregnancy. | 进行研究 |
[17:04] | Looking at the health effects of work in the tech area. | 想查技术区那边工作对健康情况的影响 |
[17:10] | Abby, I’m very sorry for what you’ve been through. | 艾比 我真的很同情你的遭遇 |
[17:13] | It’s completely natural to want answers. | 我完全理解你想寻找答案的心情 |
[17:16] | Did you look at my file? | 你看过我的资料吗 |
[17:18] | I know there’s something they’re not telling me. | 我知道他们肯定有事没告诉我 |
[17:21] | There were 127 pregnancies on the Hill last year | 去年镇上一共有127名妇女怀孕 |
[17:24] | and only one late-term miscarriage. | 只有一例孕晚期流产 |
[17:27] | I’m not saying that | 我并不是说 |
[17:29] | the work on the Hill has no effect on pregnancy, | 镇上的工作对孕妇和胎儿没有影响 |
[17:31] | I’m just saying we have no evidence. | 我只是说我们没有证据 |
[17:34] | So it’s… | 所以这就是 |
[17:36] | an act of God? | 上帝的旨意了 |
[17:41] | There isn’t always a medical explanation in these cases. | 类似这种情况并不是总能给出医学解释 |
[17:44] | If you need to talk to somebody… | 如果你需要找人谈谈 |
[17:51] | Talking is what got me here. | 我就是为了找人谈谈才来的 |
[17:59] | What, are you allergic to newspaper reporters? | 什么 难道你对报社记者过敏不成 |
[18:01] | He’s not Edward R. Murrow. | 他又不是爱德华·默罗[美国著名记者] |
[18:02] | He’s writing the official history of the project. | 他在为计划的进程写官方报道 |
[18:04] | They’ll probably make a movie about it. | 可能还会改编成电影 |
[18:06] | You wanna get left on the cutting room floor? | 你难道不希望自己的名字出现在历史里吗 |
[18:09] | So you two whiz kids were members of the original implosion team. | 你们两位天才少年是最开始内爆小组的成员 |
[18:12] | The only two Charlie Isaacs anointed for his test group. | 只有你们被查理·艾萨克招募进了他的测试组 |
[18:16] | Well, Charlie’s a great boss. | 查理是个好领导 |
[18:17] | I mean, sure, he works us hard, | 我是说 没错 他分给我们很多活 |
[18:18] | but if there’s ever any criticism, it’s only constructive. | 但如果他批评人 都是为了帮助我们进步 |
[18:23] | He’s got great hair, too. | 他发型也很不错 |
[18:25] | I wanna hear your thoughts about another boss. | 我想听你们谈谈对另一位领导的想法 |
[18:26] | Oppenheimer. That man has been on a real roll | 奥本海默 在他的第二个孩子出生后 |
[18:29] | since he had that second bambino. | 他简直可以说是个工作狂 |
[18:30] | No, I wanna talk about Frank Winter. | 不 我指的是法兰克·温特 |
[18:33] | From my understanding, | 据我了解 |
[18:34] | he torched every bridge from here to D.C. | 他斩断了所有跟华盛顿的联系 |
[18:37] | Even found time to dust off an old grudge. | 甚至有时间把私人恩怨一笔勾销 |
[18:39] | You mean the thing with Charlie? | 你是说他跟查理之间的事 |
[18:41] | Yeah. Uh, November 17th? | 对 11月17日吗 |
[18:47] | Can this be off the record? | 这个你能不报道吗 |
[18:50] | My three favorite words. – | 那是我最爱的三个字 |
[18:51] | It’s historic! | 这可是有纪念意义的时刻 |
[18:53] | We could be looking at a Browns-Cardinals showdown. | 可以跟圣路易斯棕人队红雀队大对决相媲美 |
[18:57] | It hasn’t happened since 1922. | 自1922年就再没发生过 |
[19:01] | Thank you, Sir. | 谢谢你 长官 |
[19:06] | Watch out. | 小心车 |
[19:09] | God, he almost ran me over. | 天 他差点从我身上碾过去 |
[19:11] | I’m telling you, Browns are gonna take it. | 我给你们说 棕人队会笑到最后 |
[19:14] | – Smart money. – Here’s the thing. | -明智的选择 -问题是 |
[19:16] | My father’s a Browns fan, | 我父亲是棕人队的球迷 |
[19:17] | so I’d sooner root for the Hitler Youth All Stars. | 所以不久后我可能会支持希特勒青年全明星 |
[19:21] | But come on, two teams from St. Louis– | 但拜托 两支球队都来自圣路易斯 |
[19:25] | Jesus! | 老天 |
[19:28] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[19:30] | You didn’t believe me, huh? | 你之前还不相信我 |
[19:33] | Lazar! Uh, howdy! | 拉塞尔 你好啊 |
[19:36] | Uh, Fritz. Fedowitz. | 我是福瑞茨 全名菲多维茨 |
[19:39] | Your reputation precedes you, sir. | 久仰大名 先生 |
[19:41] | – In a good way. It’s an honor to– – Tomorrow. | -当然是美名在外 我很荣幸 -明天 |
[19:45] | – What? – I’m sorry? | -什么 -你说什么 |
[19:47] | You’re late. We’re gonna be driving back on dirt roads | 你们来晚了 否则我们就得在深更半夜 |
[19:49] | in the middle of the night. | 从土路上开回去 |
[19:51] | Gonna get ourselves killed. You come back tomorrow. | 那简直是自杀 你们明天再来 |
[19:54] | Frank? | 法兰克 |
[19:55] | Hey, you’re working in Ordnance now? | 你现在在军械部工作了 |
[19:58] | How are you, Commandante? | 你好吗 老领导 |
[20:00] | Oh, you know, explosives, whiskey. | 炸药 威士忌 你们懂的 |
[20:02] | – Just like old times. – Yeah. I told them to go home. | -跟以前一样 -对 我让他们回去了 |
[20:05] | Construction starts tomorrow. | 明天就开建了 |
[20:07] | We need to confirm the spot for the derrick tonight. | 我们今晚得确定起重机的位置 |
[20:09] | Come now or I tell General Groves | 现在就去 否则我就告诉 |
[20:11] | that you refused the chance to weigh in. | 格鲁乌斯将军你拒绝了加入的机会 |
[20:13] | Well, the general doesn’t want me to weigh in. | 将军可不是希望我加入 |
[20:15] | He wants me to decide. | 他想让我做决定 |
[20:17] | Then decide today. | 那就今天决定 |
[20:23] | Well, it’s your funeral. | 那今天你完了 |
[20:25] | It’s gonna be a tight fit. | 车上估计得很挤 |
[20:30] | I was, uh– I was only counting the four of us. | 我以为只有我们四个人 |
[20:33] | Well, you counted wrong. | 你数错了 |
[20:43] | This is where you’re gonna put | 你就打算在这里 |
[20:45] | the hundred-foot tower for your gadget? | 为你的小玩意建一个30米的高塔 |
[20:47] | It’s smack in the middle of the most exposed | 这里可是整个山谷最空旷地带的 |
[20:50] | part of the entire valley. | 正中心 |
[20:52] | It’s discreet, it’s accessible, | 这里不显眼 道路通畅 |
[20:53] | and it conforms best to our specific technical needs. | 而且这里是最符合我们特殊的技术需求的地方 |
[20:56] | Oh, that’s very, very good. | 真棒 |
[20:59] | Dear America, | 亲爱的美国 |
[21:01] | we’re very, very sorry, but your bomb blew away with the wind. | 我们很抱歉 但你的炸弹被风吹走了 |
[21:04] | But don’t you worry, | 但你不用担心 |
[21:06] | it conforms best to our specific technical needs. | 它最符合我们的特殊技术需求 |
[21:09] | All right, why don’t you just calm down? | 你先冷静点 |
[21:21] | You boys look like you’re lost. | 看来你们迷路了啊 |
[21:23] | The McDonoaugh brothers. | 麦当诺奥兄弟 |
[21:25] | You– you guys know each other? | 你们认识 |
[21:31] | Trespassing on my family’s property. | 你们这是侵占我家族的领地 |
[21:33] | This land’s the property of the United States government. | 这片土地属于美国政府 |
[21:35] | You’ve ignored five requests to appear before a judge. | 你忽视了五封法庭的传票 |
[21:38] | $2,400 is a fair price. | 2400块的价格可不低 |
[21:42] | This desert’s a spooky place. | 这片沙漠可是个闹鬼的地方 |
[21:44] | Indian country. | 曾是印第安人的地盘 |
[21:46] | Your government men disappear around here all the time. | 你们这种政府人士经常在这里失踪 |
[21:49] | If I were you, I wouldn’t issue threats. | 我要是你就不会威胁我们 |
[21:51] | If I was you, I’d adios myself back where I came from. | 我要是你 就赶紧从哪儿来回哪儿去 |
[21:54] | And if I don’t? | 我要是不走呢 |
[21:59] | Gonna need a lot more ammunition than that. | 你这点弹药可不够 |
[22:02] | You kill us, they’ll just send 10 more guys. | 你杀了我们 他们顶多派十个人来 |
[22:05] | Kill them, they’ll send a hundred. | 杀了他们 他们会派来一百个人 |
[22:08] | Army doesn’t give two shits about your family’s property rights. | 军队可不管你什么家族领地 |
[22:13] | You fellas are up against the Constitution. | 你们违背了宪法 |
[22:15] | You fight it, you’ll just waste a few days in court, | 你跟他们对着干 你会在法庭上浪费几天 |
[22:17] | end up with the same $2,000 | 最终拿着同样的两千块钱 |
[22:19] | plus a stack of legal bills. | 还得再交一大笔律师费 |
[22:26] | But maybe | 但是或许 |
[22:27] | your land here is worth more than two grand. | 你们这块地不仅仅值两千块呢 |
[22:31] | Hell, it may be worth a lot more. | 或许比两千块多得多呢 |
[22:35] | This canyon’s part of the San Juan Basin, | 这片峡谷是圣胡安盆地的一部分 |
[22:36] | which is a proven oil reserve. Silver, too. | 那块盆地可是石油储地 还有银矿 |
[22:40] | You ever done a geologic survey? | 你做过地质勘探吗 |
[22:42] | The feds don’t have time | 那帮官员可没有时间 |
[22:42] | to spend in court debating mineral rights. | 在法庭上跟你们辩论矿产权利 |
[22:45] | What they have is money. | 他们只有钱 |
[22:47] | A tap that never runs dry. | 一个永不断流的水龙头 |
[22:48] | You start saying oil and silver, | 你要是开始提石油和银矿 |
[22:50] | you ask for five times the price. | 就可以要五倍的价钱 |
[22:52] | – You’ll get double. – Come on. | -你这是在惹麻烦 -别这样 |
[22:55] | He’s right, Clem. | 他说的没错 克莱姆 |
[22:59] | – If you’re wrong about this– – I’m not wrong. | -要是你说错了 -我没错 |
[23:02] | That’s the best you’ll do. | 这是你最好的解决方法 |
[23:19] | – Is that true? – Hell, I got no idea. | -真的吗 -我不知道 |
[23:25] | – Ha! He’s good. – Hey, I didn’t ask for your help. | -挺厉害啊 -我没让你帮忙 |
[23:28] | You came back to the Hill | 你回到镇上来 |
[23:29] | ranting about pumping the brakes on the project, | 嚷嚷着叫停这个项目 |
[23:31] | but here you are hitting the gas. Why’s that? | 但又在这帮我们的忙 为什么 |
[23:34] | Well, we’re still at war on three continents. | 三个大洲还在打仗呢 |
[23:36] | – I heard that somewhere. – No. The real reason you came back | -某人告诉我的 -你回来的真正原因 |
[23:39] | is you can’t stand the idea | 是你忍受不了 |
[23:41] | that the gadget could be built without you. | 袖手旁观小玩意的建成 |
[23:42] | You can’t stand having anyone else’s name on it. | 你忍受不了被别人抢了功劳 |
[23:45] | You are so good at delivering speeches, aren’t you, Charlie? | 你真是擅长演讲啊 查理 |
[23:48] | Heard you gave quite a eulogy when I got my off-site promotion. | 听说你在我升职调离时讲了篇不错的颂词 |
[23:51] | And it only took you, what, | 你才花了多久 |
[23:52] | two weeks to become the Army’s puppet. | 两周就成了军队的走狗 |
[24:08] | Come on. Enough fun, enough fun! | 行了 别玩了 别玩了 |
[24:10] | I don’t care what deal you made with the colonel. | 我不管你和上校做了什么交易 |
[24:12] | You are never stepping foot in the tech area again! | 你永远也不许踏进技术区 |
[24:17] | What did Charlie mean when he said a deal with the colonel? | 查理说的和上校的交易是怎么回事 |
[24:19] | Does that have to do with Frank’s enlistment at all? | 与法兰克回来入伍有关吗 |
[24:21] | I mean, sort of a quid pro quo? | 是某种补偿吗 |
[24:23] | I mean, if you figure that out, let us know. | 要是你想明白了 记得告诉我们 |
[24:25] | Frank’s not exactly in the business of explaining himself to us. | 法兰克可没想给我们解释 |
[24:28] | Or to anyone, apparently. | 显然对谁都没说 |
[24:30] | But Isaacs was wrong about one thing. | 但艾萨克说错了一件事 |
[24:33] | Frank got himself back into the tech area after all, didn’t he? | 法兰克终究还是回到了技术区 不是吗 |
[24:42] | Can I have another? | 能再来一杯吗 |
[24:44] | Understanding the coordination of these assets | 弄清楚这些参数的关系 |
[24:46] | is crucial to the fluid progress of our mandate. | 对我们任期内的流体进展极其重要 |
[24:50] | Sincerely yours, Paul Crosley. | 保罗·克罗斯利敬上 |
[24:52] | You have it? | 记下来了吗 |
[24:53] | Any mistakes, you’re back on the jitney | 要是有一个错字 你就坐车 |
[24:55] | to whatever junior college you crawled out of. | 回你逃出来的大专学校去吧 |
[24:58] | All right. | 好了 |
[25:00] | Hello. Oh. | 你好 |
[25:02] | A mandatory sit-down with our resident ink-slinger. | 强制与我们的常驻刷笔杆大师见面 |
[25:04] | Just before the clock strikes. | 还是在迫在眉睫的时候 |
[25:07] | You look like you need a drink. | 你看起来需要喝一杯 |
[25:09] | No, I’m back on land again. | 不了 我又戒酒了 |
[25:10] | – What can I get you? – Seltzer and lime, please. | -需要什么 -矿泉水和柠檬 |
[25:12] | Really? | 不是吧 |
[25:14] | – How long? – Long enough to hurt. | -多久了 -久到觉得痛苦了 |
[25:17] | So, Mr. Lorentzen, you have me for 15 minutes. | 洛伦岑先生 我们只有15分钟 |
[25:21] | – Let’s make it good. – All right. | -我们好好谈 -好 |
[25:22] | Well, the gun division’s humming along nicely. | 枪部进展得挺顺利 |
[25:25] | You’re the backup plan | 你是将军和奥本海默 |
[25:27] | the general and Oppenheimer always dreamed of. | 梦寐以求的后备计划 |
[25:30] | – Yet until November– – We were in the pig trough. | -但直到十一月 -我们毫无进展 |
[25:34] | The uranium enrichment problem had us stalled in our tracks. | 铀的提纯问题拖慢了我们的进度 |
[25:38] | That’s quite a turnaround. | 真是个大转折啊 |
[25:39] | What’s the opening sentence to that chapter? | 这里的原因是什么 |
[25:42] | Well, we were at a low point. | 我们陷入了低谷 |
[25:45] | I was at a low point. | 我陷入了低谷 |
[25:48] | Paul. | 保罗 |
[25:51] | Paul! | 保罗 |
[26:04] | I can’t feel my arms. | 我胳膊没知觉了 |
[26:26] | Let me guess, up all night working on the enrichment problem? | 我猜猜 你这是熬夜研究提纯问题了吧 |
[26:34] | Inevitable. | 我就知道 |
[26:35] | Do you know, maybe I’ll get a job after the war. | 我或许在战后会找个工作 |
[26:38] | Or maybe I’ll settle down, have kids, regret my decisions. | 或许会嫁人生子 后悔现在的决定 |
[26:42] | But there’s one thing I know for sure– | 但我确信一件事 |
[26:44] | you have no future. | 你没有未来 |
[26:49] | You know, I understand. | 我理解的 |
[26:53] | – What? – The Site X liaison job. | -理解什么 -X工厂的联络员的工作 |
[26:55] | Getting passed over. I understand. | 没被选上 我理解的 |
[26:58] | I sympathize. | 深表同情 |
[27:01] | Hallelujah. | 万分感激 |
[27:05] | It’s a beautiful day out. | 今天天气不错 |
[27:07] | I’m gonna go find a tree. | 我出去找棵树靠着 |
[27:09] | Maybe I’ll solve the uranium problem | 也许能解决铀的问题 |
[27:10] | and you’ll find a way to take that from me, too. | 然后你再想个办法把这个也抢走 |
[27:35] | Hello, Crosley. | 你好 克罗斯利 |
[27:41] | We brought detonators. | 我们把雷管拿来了 |
[27:44] | Try not to blow yourself up until we’re gone. | 我们走之前别把自己炸死了 |
[27:49] | – Okay? – Well, Hogarth’s in his office. He has the paperwork. | -好吗 -贺加斯在办公室 单子在他那 |
[28:06] | There it is. | 就是这个了 |
[28:08] | – Go ahead. – Excuse me? | -来吧 -来什么 |
[28:11] | Go on, Frank. Give a boy an education. | 来啊 法兰克 给孩子上一课 |
[28:15] | Go on. | 来啊 |
[28:19] | Gaseous diffusion, thermal diffusion, | 气体扩散 热损失 |
[28:21] | electromagnetic separation. | 电磁分离 |
[28:23] | Three methods for enriching uranium, | 三种浓缩铀的办法 |
[28:25] | only nobody knows which one is best | 只是没人知道哪种效果好 |
[28:27] | or if any of them even works. | 或者至少有效果 |
[28:30] | And if we can’t speed up enrichment at an exponential pace? | 如果我们没法以指数速度加快浓缩过程 |
[28:34] | Gun model dies on the vine. | 枪式模型也就到头了 |
[28:35] | Or, who knows, upside could be hogarth shoots himself in the head. | 谁知道呢 好的是贺加斯得自杀谢罪了 |
[28:40] | So go on, Frank. | 所以来吧 法兰克 |
[28:44] | Dazzle us | 用你 |
[28:46] | with that patented smugness | 独有的不可一世 |
[28:48] | that says you’re the only one | 向我们宣告只有你 |
[28:49] | who understands the gravity of our great war. | 了解我们伟大战争的本质 |
[28:52] | The kingdom, the power, | 这个小王国 权力 |
[28:53] | the glory right here for your taking. | 还有荣誉 都是你的 |
[28:59] | I’m just trying to do my job, Paul. | 我现在只想做好我的工作 保罗 |
[29:04] | Dr. Winter, sir? | 温特博士 先生 |
[29:06] | – I have to ask you to come with me. – Why? | -请你跟我走一趟 -为什么 |
[29:09] | No, he’s fine. He’s with me. | 他没事的 是跟我一起来的 |
[29:11] | He’s been cleared at the gate. | 入口都检查过他了 |
[29:13] | Supposed to call the MPs if you’re not out of the tech area in five minutes, | 五分钟内你再不离开技术部就得叫宪兵 |
[29:17] | per Dr. Isaacs. | 艾萨克博士之命 |
[29:19] | Who? | 谁 |
[29:20] | Dr. Isaacs? | 艾萨克博士 |
[29:22] | – Never heard of him. – It’s okay. | -从来没听说过他 -没关系 |
[29:25] | It’s okay. We were just leaving. | 没关系 我们反正也要走了 |
[29:31] | Good luck, Paul. | 祝你好运 保罗 |
[29:34] | So even the great Frank Winter | 甚至伟大的法兰克·温特 |
[29:35] | couldn’t solve the uranium problem. | 也解决不了铀的问题 |
[29:38] | And was that your first interaction with Frank since he got back? | 他回来后这是你第一次见他吗 |
[29:41] | I had seen him around digging latrines, | 我见过他几次 在打扫厕所 |
[29:43] | other vital work. | 还有其它重要工作 |
[29:45] | Surprised to see him back on the Hill? | 他回山上来你很惊讶吗 |
[29:47] | In a private’s uniform? Yeah. | 还穿着列兵服吗 是的 |
[29:48] | And I think it’s safe to say most of us had questions. | 我敢肯定大家都有疑问 |
[29:50] | Get any answers? | 解决了吗 |
[29:53] | The colonel needed another soldier for his holy crusade. | 也许上校的十字军缺人手了 |
[29:56] | Why all the curiosity about Frank? | 为什么对法兰克这么好奇 |
[29:59] | Just filling in the blanks. | 只是想多了解一点情况 |
[30:00] | You devil. | 真是坏人 |
[30:03] | First, you try to reignite your old flame with the man’s wife. | 你先是想和人家老婆旧情复燃 |
[30:05] | Then you tar and feather Frank in the official history. | 然后又往人家身上抹黑 |
[30:08] | – Bravo. – I’m sorry, gentlemen. | -漂亮啊 -抱歉 先生们 |
[30:11] | We need to clear the tables for tonight’s festivities. | 我们得收拾桌子准备今晚的庆典了 |
[30:14] | Well, enough already. I have a year’s work to do before the clock strikes. | 也喝够了 还有一堆活压着等我干呢 |
[30:17] | Uh, how’d you fix it? | 怎么解决的 |
[30:20] | The problem with the uranium that was slowing down the gun model. | 拖慢了枪式模型的铀的问题 |
[30:24] | Oppenheimer had a eureka. | 奥本海默想到了办法 |
[30:26] | – On November 29th. – Yeah, round about. | -11月29号 -嗯 差不多 |
[30:28] | One day, Oppenheimer marches into the office unannounced | 有天奥本海默突然来了办公室 |
[30:31] | and out of nowhere just delivers a solution. | 凭空变出了解决方案 |
[30:34] | Turns out the man’s a genius after all. | 原来他还真的是个天才 |
[30:37] | And what was the solution? | 那解决办法是什么呢 |
[30:40] | Well, we had been thinking of the processes as competitors | 我们一直觉得要在这些过程中选一个 |
[30:42] | and Oppie realized they were more efficient when linked in tandem. | 但奥本海默发现同时进行这些过程更有效 |
[30:46] | Collaborators. | 互相合作 |
[30:49] | Yeah, I suppose you could say that. | 可以这么说吧 |
[30:51] | Well, time and tide. | 时候不早了 |
[30:53] | Oh, this reborn gun division, | 对了 这个重生的枪式模型 |
[30:55] | is the nickname still Thin Man? | 还叫瘦子计划吗 |
[30:59] | We’re calling it Little Boy. | 我们叫它小男孩 |
[31:01] | Bet there’s a story there. | 这名字背后肯定有故事 |
[31:03] | I’m afraid it will probably put your readers to sleep. | 恐怕全讲完你的读者都要睡着了 |
[31:33] | Hair of the bloodhound? | 喝杯酒来情形下不 |
[31:37] | You should give my job to Helen. | 你应该把我的工作给海伦 |
[31:40] | She’s more experienced than I am, | 她比我更有经验 |
[31:41] | she’s been to Site X, | 她去过X工厂 |
[31:44] | and she cares. | 而且她在乎这些 |
[31:46] | She won’t shag you | 她不会跟你睡的 |
[31:47] | if that’s what you’re thinking. | 如果你是为了这个的话 |
[31:50] | Enjoy watching Frank Winter get escorted from the building? | 看到法兰克·温特被赶出去爽不爽 |
[31:55] | Americans are a funny lot. | 美国人真是很有趣 |
[31:59] | They poke fun at cricket, | 他们嘲笑着板球 |
[32:00] | you let them play, they have a few lucky bowls | 但如果让他们玩 凑巧还打上了几个球 |
[32:03] | and they act as if they invented the damn sport. | 他们就会一副这游戏都是他们发明的样子 |
[32:07] | Yeah, they are unique. | 是啊 他们很独特 |
[32:10] | They’d be nowhere without us. | 没有我们他们什么都不是 |
[32:12] | I have a healthy self-regard, | 我很有自知之明 |
[32:14] | but neither one of us is getting written into the history books. | 但我们的名字都进不了史书 |
[32:16] | Don’t be daft. | 别傻了 |
[32:18] | Us. | 我们 |
[32:19] | The home team. | 我们是主队 |
[32:22] | War is no longer a question of artillery or trenches | 战争已经不再只是拼火炮 战壕 |
[32:26] | or how many tank divisions | 或者有没有 |
[32:28] | you can marshal to outflank your rival. | 足够大的坦克团围歼敌人 |
[32:31] | Information is the new gunpowder. | 信息才是最新的武器 |
[32:34] | Information is the future. | 信息就是未来 |
[32:36] | And Britain needs a future. | 英国需要一个未来 |
[32:44] | You need a future. | 你也需要 |
[32:51] | So is this why you gave me the promotion? | 所以你才提拔我吗 |
[32:57] | The Yankees are niggardly allies. | 美国佬作为同盟太吝啬 |
[33:02] | They dine out on our science | 他们拿走我们的科学成果 |
[33:05] | and what do they give us in return? | 又给了我们什么呢 |
[33:07] | Table crumbs. | 残羹剩饭而已 |
[33:08] | So when the war’s over | 所以等战争结束 |
[33:10] | and the nuclear power boom begins, | 核武兴起 |
[33:12] | they’ll own the future. | 未来就是他们的 |
[33:14] | We must take what we can as fast as we can. | 我们必须尽快拿到能拿到的 |
[33:18] | – You want me to steal for you? – No. | -你要我替你窃取情报 -不 |
[33:21] | For king and country. | 是替你的国王和王国 |
[33:23] | You know, I knew a man who was shot for less. | 我认识个人 没犯这么大的罪还被枪毙了 |
[33:25] | Think about your country, Paul. | 为你的祖国想想 保罗 |
[33:29] | Everything will be different after the war. | 战争结束后一切都不再一样了 |
[33:32] | We’ll go home. | 我们将回家 |
[33:35] | Together. | 一起回家 |
[33:41] | You have regrets about Lucy. | 你对露西有愧疚 |
[33:45] | I know there are things that you wish you could take back | 我知道你想收回有些说过的话 |
[33:48] | that you said and did. | 做过的事 |
[33:50] | And so what if I do? | 我想又怎么样 |
[33:53] | My daughter’s a forgiving soul. | 我女儿是个宽容的人 |
[33:56] | Too forgiving. | 太宽容了 |
[33:59] | But she knows that we’re here together | 她知道我们一起在这 |
[34:02] | and she wants to mend fences. | 她想改善关系 |
[34:09] | She wants a life with you. | 她想跟你一起生活 |
[34:18] | I never had a son, Paul. | 我没有儿子 保罗 |
[34:21] | But you do. | 但你有 |
[34:26] | And he’s a gem. | 他是个宝贝 |
[34:29] | Lucy got him back. | 露西把他找回来了 |
[34:31] | My grandson. | 我的外孙 |
[34:33] | You can leave something behind in this world. | 你可以为这世界留下点什么 |
[34:36] | A legacy for Henry. | 给亨利的遗产 |
[34:41] | So help me, Paul. | 所以帮帮我 保罗 |
[34:43] | You won’t just go home a man. | 你不只以男人的身份回去 |
[34:46] | You’ll go home a father. | 你是以父亲的身份回去 |
[34:49] | You’ll go home to your little boy. | 回到你的孩子身边 |
[34:58] | This is what we’re paying you for, | 我们付你报酬就是为了 |
[34:59] | rumors about Frank Winter? | 让你写法兰克·温特的小道消息吗 |
[35:01] | I haven’t seen a check in six months. | 我六个月都没收到支票了 |
[35:03] | My own paper cut me off. | 我自己的报纸把我给炒了 |
[35:05] | It’s your privilege | 你的荣幸 |
[35:06] | to document the scientific history of this project, | 来源于对这个历史性项目的记录 |
[35:09] | not editorialize about my soldiers. | 而不是对我的士兵的品头论足 |
[35:13] | It’s the holiday. | 现在是假期 |
[35:14] | This was a side project to keep my pencil sharp. | 这只是我练笔的副项目 |
[35:20] | You know, I could never get a bead | 我本来永远都不会明白 |
[35:22] | on why you let Frank back onto the Hill. | 你为什么让弗兰克回镇上 |
[35:25] | I thought it was to shut him up | 我以为是为了让他闭嘴 |
[35:27] | or torture him. | 或者是为了折磨他 |
[35:29] | Then suddenly, it hit me. | 然后突然间 我明白了 |
[35:34] | Oppenheimer, he’s got his head in the clouds | 奥本海默不切实际 |
[35:38] | and his sidekick is this 28-year-old hotshot | 他的搭档是这个28岁自命不凡的小子 |
[35:41] | who you don’t fully believe in. | 而你不怎么信任他 |
[35:44] | Isaacs couldn’t handle the ranchers alone. | 艾萨克不能独立运作项目 |
[35:47] | He couldn’t solve the uranium problem. | 他解决不了铀的问题 |
[35:50] | And you knew that sooner or later, | 你知道迟早 |
[35:51] | this kid’s gonna roll another seven. | 这孩子会需要再花上七年 |
[35:53] | What’s your point? | 你想说什么 |
[35:55] | You don’t just keep your enemies closer. | 你不只是让你的敌人离你更近 |
[35:58] | Frank Winter invented the Gadget. | 是法兰克·温特发明的小玩意 |
[36:01] | You let him back on the Hill | 你让他回镇上 |
[36:03] | because whatever he did or whoever he pissed off, | 因为无论他做了什么或者闯了什么祸 |
[36:08] | you need an insurance policy. | 你都需要一个后备计划 |
[36:10] | And the way I see it, you’re not the only one. | 在我看来 不光你这么想 |
[36:15] | The uranium problem– | 铀的问题 |
[36:17] | that was Frank, wasn’t it? | 是弗兰克解决的 对吗 |
[36:22] | Oppenheimer couldn’t have everyone thinking an Army private he exiled | 奥本海默不能让大家以为一个被流放的大兵 |
[36:25] | solved the problem that was keeping Little Boy on the sidelines. | 解决了一直以来让小男孩搁浅的难题 |
[36:29] | Now, when he saw what Frank did– | 他看到了弗兰克做成了 |
[36:32] | what nobody else could do– | 其他人都做不了的事 |
[36:34] | Oppie realized the same thing you did six months ago. | 奥比意识到了你六个月前就已经想到的事 |
[36:40] | The day will come when he’s gonna need Frank again. | 总有一天他要再用弗兰克 |
[36:46] | Give me the pages. | 把文章给我 |
[36:54] | “From this expanse of solitude, | 在这广袤的荒僻之地 |
[36:55] | a great secret is soon to be revealed…” | 一个巨大的秘密即将公开 |
[37:01] | Is there anything about Frank Winter in here? | 这里面写了任何关于法兰克·温特的事吗 |
[37:04] | Of course not. | 当然没有 |
[37:07] | Happy New Year. | 新年快乐 |
[37:15] | “From this expanse of solitude, | 在这广袤的荒僻之地 |
[37:17] | a great secret is soon to be revealed to the whole of man. | 一个巨大的秘密即将向世人公开 |
[37:23] | At the dawn of 1945, | 1945年初 |
[37:25] | great minds toil sleeplessly. | 伟大的科学家彻夜无眠辛苦工作 |
[37:28] | Their tools– the very principles of the universe. | 他们以宇宙运行的原则为工具 |
[37:32] | Their aim– nothing less than a lasting peace | 他们的目标 除了全世界的永久和平 |
[37:36] | for the world entire.” | 别无其他 |
[37:41] | – Hey, how are ya? – Good to see you, Charlie. | -你好吗 -很高兴见到你 查理 |
[37:45] | I know you have to go, but I– I, um– | 我知道你必须去 但我 |
[37:47] | I don’t feel like celebrating 1944. | 不太想庆祝1944 |
[37:50] | – You go. – Abby. | -你去吧 -艾比 |
[37:51] | – You go, go! Have fun! – No. | -你去 快去 玩得开心点 -别 |
[37:57] | “It would be a hulking task for a deity. | 这本是神明的庞大任务 |
[38:00] | But these are not gods. | 但他们却不是神 |
[38:03] | These are mortals. | 他们皆凡人 |
[38:05] | These are men. | 他们是人 |
[38:07] | They have hopes and dreams, | 他们有希望 有梦想 |
[38:10] | needs and desires. | 有需求 有欲望 |
[38:13] | They have fears and misgivings for what the future may hold.” | 他们有对未来的恐惧和担忧 |
[38:30] | “They are the makers of a coming history | 他们是历史的缔造者 |
[38:32] | we are all headed toward.” | 写就了我们即将进入的未来 |
[38:43] | Hey, hey, here we go! | 开始倒数了 |
[38:45] | Ten, nine, eight, | 十 九 八 |
[38:48] | seven, six, five, | 七 六 五 |
[38:51] | four, three, two, one! | 四 三 二 一 |
[38:55] | Happy New Year! | 新年快乐 |
[38:59] | “History is too often not what happened, | 历史往往不在于发生了什么 |
[39:01] | but what was recorded. | 而在于记录了什么 |
[39:04] | A lie set down on paper with wet ink | 谎言写在纸上 |
[39:07] | becomes a truth when dry.” | 墨迹一干 即成真相 |
[39:23] | “Such is the case of this history, | 这段历史也是如此 |
[39:25] | 亲爱的温特博士 我们素未谋面 但我们知道你一家对我们的儿子Cole有多重要 他每每提及你 莱莎和凯莉时都充满爱意 我们今天心情沉痛地致信于您 十一月二日 科尔离开我们去了天堂 | |
[39:27] | here in the quiet desert. | 在这片安静的沙漠里 |
[39:30] | Here we find men whose achievements | 我们发现一些人的成就 |
[39:32] | will be snatched for the glory of others, | 将被另一些人以荣誉为名窃取 |
[39:36] | whose sacrifices will be forgotten as detritus.” | 他们的牺牲将像瓦砾一样被遗忘 |
[39:42] | “The cleanest telling would draw one great man | 毫无瑕疵的故事会将伟人描述成 |
[39:44] | in whom we could find a teachable narrative, | 教科书式的人物 |
[39:47] | an exemplar of what, | 一个我们愿意 |
[39:49] | should we give it our all, we could become.” | 倾尽所有 努力成为的榜样 |
[40:01] | “But those stories are myths. | 但那些故事都是神话 |
[40:06] | This is, as best I understand, that honest story. | 而这 就我的理解来看 是真实的故事 |
[40:11] | It is not simple, and few emerge untarnished. | 这个故事不简单 其中鲜有完人 |
[40:15] | It is a story of the unknowable future | 这是一个关于未知未来的故事 |
[40:18] | and all the gnarled turns the present takes | 讲述我们如何曲折地 |
[40:21] | on its journey toward the world of tomorrow.” | 一步步走向明天的世界 |
[40:27] | Too many adjectives. | 太多形容词了 |
[40:31] | You’re like all the rest– | 你跟其他人一样 |
[40:35] | work, work, work. | 就是工作 工作 工作 |
[40:38] | Then I’ll take the rest of the year off. | 那我今年剩下时间全休假 |
[40:54] | I need to talk to my wife. | 我得跟我妻子谈谈 |