| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
|---|---|---|
| [00:00] | allison | |
| [00:04] | Hey,guys.Let’s take these seats back here. | 大伙 我们坐在后面吧 |
| [00:06] | Then we can make a quick exit. | 那样我们可以溜走 |
| [00:11] | Joe,come on.Hey,guys. | Joe 快点 你们 |
| [00:14] | Joe,not in front. | Joe 别到前面 |
| [00:16] | Can I help you,mrs. Dubois? | 有什么可以帮忙的吗 Dubois夫人? |
| [00:19] | Uh,I don’t think so. | 不了 |
| [00:24] | Oh,I didn’t realize that so one had passed away. | 我还不知道有人去世了 |
| [00:28] | I’m not really fond of funerals. I deal with death a lot in my work. | 我对葬礼其实没什么兴趣 我在工作中经常和死亡打交道 |
| [00:31] | Me,too. | 我也是 |
| [00:34] | Truth be told,these things are really more for the family than for the deceased. | 说真的 这些只是 为了家人而不是死者 |
| [00:38] | I suppose so. You’re right. | 我也这么认为 你说的对 |
| [00:40] | Gives everyone a sense of closure, an opportunity to say good-bye, | 给每个人一种了结的感觉 和告别的机会 |
| [00:44] | creates an atmosphere of civility and control | 营造庄严的气氛 |
| [00:46] | i think people find comforting | 我认为 人们当面临… |
| [00:47] | when faced with the sudden and sometimes random reality of death. | 突如其来 随时发生的死亡时 可以找到安慰 |
| [00:52] | So. | 所以… |
| [00:54] | Here we are | 我们来了 |
| [01:07] | I think… now would be an excellent time for you to take your place,allison. | 我觉得…是你归位的时候了 |
| [01:32] | www.YDY.com Proudly Presents | |
| [01:36] | sync:LIN | |
| [02:22] | Do we have a current will? | 我们草拟了遗嘱吗? |
| [02:26] | You know,a will.For when people die. | 你知道 就是遗嘱 有人死时用的 |
| [02:35] | Suddenly it’s becoming very clear. | 突然间都变得很明显了 |
| [02:38] | The sleep deprivation. | 不让我睡觉 |
| [02:42] | You’re trying to kill me. | 原来你想杀了我 |
| [02:43] | I’m serious. | 我是认真的 |
| [02:46] | okay.Let me put your mind at ease. | 好的 让我帮你放松下来 |
| [02:49] | We have a current will. | 我们是有遗嘱 |
| [02:51] | We also have a mortgage. | 我们还有抵押 |
| [02:53] | We also have a mound of debt. | 我们债台高筑 |
| [02:56] | And should I die before you, all that becomes yours. | 如果我比你先死的话 一切都由你承担了 |
| [03:01] | What about the kids? | 孩子怎么办? |
| [03:02] | I’ll throw them in as well. | 也都交给你了 |
| [03:04] | But… what if it’s me? | 但是…如果是我呢? |
| [03:07] | What if I go first? | 如果我先走了呢? |
| [03:09] | Allison,stop it. | Allison 够了 |
| [03:11] | You’re not going anywhere. | 你哪也不会去 |
| [03:12] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道呢? |
| [03:15] | All right. | 好了好了 |
| [03:16] | You win.I’ll play. | 算你赢了 我跟你玩玩 |
| [03:19] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
| [03:21] | You feel better? | 感觉好点没? |
| [03:23] | I don’T. | 我就不觉得 |
| [03:24] | And for what it’s worth, I’m not enjoying this conversation. | 不管怎样 我不喜欢这样的谈话 |
| [03:29] | Why are you mad? | 你为什么生气? |
| [03:30] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
| [03:31] | Cause I think maybe conversations like this are a waste of time. | 因为我觉得这样的对话 只是浪费时间而已 |
| [03:34] | We have a will,we have some insurance. | 我们有遗嘱 有保险 |
| [03:36] | We have kids we have to get up and go to school. | 我们要叫醒孩子 然后送去上学 |
| [03:39] | No,I’m just being silly. | 我只是一时犯傻 |
| [03:41] | No,you’re not silly,but,just… | 你不是犯傻 但就是… |
| [03:43] | don’t you think if it was really your time to go, | 你不觉得 如果你的期限真的到了 |
| [03:46] | that maybe you’d get some kind of a heads up from the universe? | 也许你会从宇宙中得到某些预感吗? |
| [03:49] | Like what? | 比如? |
| [03:50] | I don’t know. A dream. | 不知道 比如梦 |
| [03:55] | can I get a cell phone? | 我可以要个手机吗? |
| [03:57] | No. Why not? | – 不行 – 为什么? |
| [03:59] | Because they’re very expensive. | 因为手机很贵 |
| [04:01] | They’re not allowed in school. | 学校也不允许用 |
| [04:04] | And besides,who are you going to call? | 再说 你会打给谁呢? |
| [04:06] | She could call me. | 她可以打给我啊 |
| [04:07] | Bridge. | |
| [04:09] | Well,then,can I get a pager? | 好 那我可以有个传呼机吗? |
| [04:11] | No. Also expensive,also not allowed. | 不可以 同样很贵 也不准用 |
| [04:16] | And who are you going to page? | 你会呼谁呢? |
| [04:18] | I don’t know,but can I at least get a computer in my room? | 我不知道 但我至少可以 在房间里有台电脑吧? |
| [04:22] | You’re batting three for three,sweetie. | 你这是异想天开啊 亲爱的 |
| [04:26] | Well,you asked me what i wanted for my birthday. | 是你问我想要什么生日礼物的 |
| [04:28] | Ask for a trampoline. | 要个蹦床吧 |
| [04:30] | How about a watch? | 手表怎样? |
| [04:32] | You’re gonna be 13. | 你快13岁了 |
| [04:33] | Couldn’t you use a nice,pretty watch? | 你就不需要一个漂亮的手表吗? |
| [04:35] | Maybe,but if I had a phone, I wouldn’t need a watch. | 可能吧 但如果我有手机的话 我就不需要手表了 |
| [04:39] | What about the computer right here? | 不是有部电脑在这吗? |
| [04:41] | Okay,fine.Can I at least get my own private e-mail? | 算了 我总可以有自己的E-MAIL吧? |
| [04:45] | I think that’s something we can talk about… | 我觉得这个倒可以考虑 |
| [04:50] | …tonight or tomorrow,maybe next week. | …今晚 明天又或许下个星期 |
| [04:53] | Look at that.Time to get ready for school. | 瞧 该去学校了 |
| [04:56] | Darn,these things are handy. | 天 这些东西就是方便啊 |
| [04:59] | There’s a woman in the conference room with detective scanlon,a mrs. Sondra bannister. | 有位女士Sondra Banister 跟Scanlon探员在会议室里 |
| [05:03] | Her husband,dean,is an oncologist at mariposa memorial. | 她的丈夫Dean是Mariposa医院的肿瘤学家 |
| [05:06] | Hasn’t been seen since he left the hospital yesterday evening around 6:00 | 自从昨晚六点左右离开后 就没有人见过他 |
| [05:10] | ok,but don’t we usually insist that people wait at least 24 hours before filing a missing persons report? | 但是我们通常不是要等到过了 24小时才正式登记失踪人口的吗? |
| [05:15] | Well,usually,the people doing the filing aren’t related to a sitting judge. | 因为通常报案的人不是法官的亲戚 |
| [05:18] | Sondra is the daughter of the honorable henry minder. | 而Sondra是Henry Minder法官的女儿 |
| [05:22] | I know you think i’m being premature,but… | 我知道你们都觉得 我来得太早 但是… |
| [05:25] | dean is a creature of habit | Dean总按习惯行事 |
| [05:27] | and he is compulsive about keeping his appointments | 而且他对按时赴约很偏执 |
| [05:30] | He’s already missed two patients this morning. | 但他今早已经错过两个病人 |
| [05:32] | It’s just…it’s-it’s not like him to-to not come home | 这…不是他的作风 |
| [05:36] | To not call,not call me,not call the office. | 不回家 不打电话 不打给我 也不打到办公室 |
| [05:41] | Let’s begin at the beginning. He left the hospital at 6:00 A.M. | 让我们从头说起 他早上六点离开医院 |
| [05:45] | He has a standing racquetball game at the club, every tuesday night for about a year now. | 每星期二晚他在俱乐部打室内网球 至今差不多一年了 |
| [05:50] | Who with? | 跟谁? |
| [06:01] | Detective scanlon will call the club and figure out where he was supposed to be, | Scanlon探员会打电话去俱乐部 查出他应该会在哪 |
| [06:04] | who he was supposed to be with. | 会跟什么人在一起 |
| [06:07] | Does your husband have a medical condition? | 你丈夫有什么病吗? |
| [06:10] | Is it possible he could be incapacitated somewhere? | 他会不会在哪病倒? |
| [06:13] | Not that I’m aware of. | 据我所知没有 |
| [06:16] | he’s a doctor. I would konw | 他是个医生 如果有 我会知道的 |
| [06:22] | No,this is all wrong. | 不 太不对劲了 |
| [06:25] | Something’shappened to him. | 他一定出事了 |
| [06:29] | Dr. Bannister.Ready to do a little business? | Bannister医生 准备好做点小生意吗? |
| [06:36] | The angel of death. | 死亡天使? |
| [06:37] | Well,he didn’t say that. | 他没这么说 |
| [06:39] | He didn’t actually announce himself. | 事实上他没有宣称自己 |
| [06:42] | But I know that’s what he stands for,I know that’s what he represents. | 但我知道那就是他的化身 他的象征 |
| [06:46] | And you know this… how? | 你是怎么知道这些的? |
| [06:48] | Well,I’ve seen him before in my dreams. This is not the first time. | 我曾在梦里见过他 这不是第一次了 |
| [06:52] | I see. | 是吗 |
| [06:54] | And these prior appearances have all preceded the discovery of someone who perished? | 在人死之前你就预见了? |
| [07:01] | Allison… | |
| [07:03] | the man’s been out of touch less than a day, | 那个人失踪还不到一天 |
| [07:06] | and while I have enormous respect for your intuition– | 虽然我非常尊重你的直觉 |
| [07:09] | I am the one who asked you to be in that meeting– | 是我叫你来参加会见的 |
| [07:12] | I’d prefer not to jump the gun here. | 我宁愿不要过早的采取行动 |
| [07:16] | sorry to interrupt,but I thought you might want to hear this. | 抱歉打扰 不过我觉得你们 应该想听这个 |
| [07:19] | When I got back to my desk there was a message waiting from commerce general bank. | 当我回去时 桌上有个来自 商业银行总部的留言 |
| [07:22] | Still no action on the good doctor’s credit cards, | 那个医生的信用卡没有被使用过 |
| [07:25] | but they did run a quick check on this other finances and discovered something a bit unusual. | 但他们快速查看了其它的财务状况 发现了异情 |
| [07:30] | For instance? | 比如说? |
| [07:31] | No withdrawals, | 没有提取存款 |
| [07:33] | but a lot of cash deposits over the past year or so,pretty near once a week | 但在过去一年里存了大量的储蓄 几乎每周存一次 |
| [07:37] | 12 grand here,16 grand there. | 这里存几千 那里入几万 |
| [07:39] | Not enough to trip any bank alarms. | 不足以引起银行的注意 |
| [07:41] | But it all added up to about a million dollars. | 但加起来大约有一百万美元 |
| [07:45] | Okay.Gets better. | – 行 – 好戏还在后头呢 |
| [07:46] | Unlike their other accounts,which are in the name of mr. And mrs., | 不像其他储户记在夫妻双方名下 |
| [07:50] | This is dr. Bannister’s and dr. Bannister’s alone. | 这只是Bannister医生一个人的存款 |
| [07:54] | I don’t understand.What could that mean? | 我有点糊涂了 这意味着什么呢? |
| [07:57] | It could mean he’s been saving up for a disappearing act. | 有可能他的失踪蓄谋已久 |
| [08:00] | This is allison dubois. | 我是Allison Dubois |
| [08:02] | I’m marie’s mother. | 我是Marie的妈妈 |
| [08:03] | Can you hear me?I’m having a difficult time hearing you. | 你能听到我吗? 我很难听清你的话 |
| [08:12] | I’m gonna be there in about 20 minutes. Can you…? | 我20分钟后就到 你能否…? |
| [08:41] | Hello.Anybody home?In here! | 有人在家吗? 在里面! |
| [08:47] | Good evening,ladies. | 晚上好 女士们 |
| [08:50] | Girls,can you give dad and me a minute,please? | 姑娘们 让我跟爸爸独处一会好吗? |
| [09:04] | Okay,who died? | 好了 又有谁死了? |
| [09:06] | That’s a terrible choice of words. | 真是口无遮拦 |
| [09:09] | why? What? | 怎么了? |
| [09:10] | Did someone actually die? | 难道真的有人死了? |
| [09:12] | No,not actually. Not yet. | 不是 还没有 时间没到 |
| [09:17] | Remember that conversation that we were having this morning? | 还记得我们早上的谈话吗? |
| [09:21] | What to get ariel for her birthday? | 送礼物给Ariel的事? |
| [09:23] | No. I was asking you about wills. | 不 我问你关于遗嘱的事 |
| [09:28] | Well,I had this dream last night. | 我昨晚做梦了 |
| [09:30] | I saw my own death. | 我梦见自己死了 |
| [09:32] | Well,not my death. | 噢 不是我的死 |
| [09:36] | My own funeral. | 是我的葬礼 |
| [09:38] | And you were all there,and I was there. And it… | 你到场了 我也去了… |
| [09:41] | okay. | 行 |
| [09:44] | It was a dream,allison. | 这只是场梦而已 Allison |
| [09:46] | And even you have dreams that are just dreams. | 就连你也有纯粹的梦吧 |
| [09:51] | Obviously you’re not dead. | 很明显你还活生生的 |
| [09:55] | I think we have to let this one go,allison. | 我想我们必须忘掉这些 |
| [09:58] | This afternoon I came this close to plowing into a huge truck. | 今天下午我差这么多就撞到大卡车 |
| [10:04] | Well,no… actually,a huge truck came this close to plowing into me. | 不 事实上是大卡车撞到我 |
| [10:09] | I was a fraction of an inch away from death,joe. | 我差一点就死掉 Joe |
| [10:12] | Wait a second. For real? | 等等 在现实中? |
| [10:14] | Yes. | 是的 |
| [10:15] | I mean,I’m fine. | 我是说 我没事 |
| [10:16] | There are no cuts or bruises. The car’s fine. | 没有剐伤 车也没事 |
| [10:21] | But I was inches away from death. | 但我距死亡寸步之遥 |
| [10:24] | Okay,that’s called a coincidence. | 好 那是个巧合 |
| [10:26] | A very scary,very unsettling coincidence. | 非常恐怖不安的巧合 |
| [10:28] | I don’t know. | 我不清楚 |
| [10:31] | There was this man in my dream. | 我梦里有个人 |
| [10:34] | He was the only person who could see me. | 他也是唯一能看到我的人 |
| [10:37] | What do you mean? What man? | 你什么意思?什么人? |
| [10:38] | ‘Cause I was dead. | 因为我死了 |
| [10:39] | So you couldn’t see me,the girls couldn’t see me,but he could see me. | 所以你看不到我 孩子们看不到我 但他能看到我 |
| [10:44] | He seemed to know all about it. | 他看起来像无所不知 |
| [10:46] | He seemed to be running everything. | 控制一切 |
| [10:48] | I don’t follow. | 我不知道 |
| [10:50] | Death. | 死亡 |
| [10:52] | Death. | 死亡 |
| [10:54] | He was in charge of death. | 他掌管死亡 |
| [10:59] | He was death.The angel of death. | 他是死神 死亡天使 |
| [11:05] | Okay. | 好 |
| [11:07] | Again,this was a dream,allison | 再说一次 这是场梦 |
| [11:09] | And not a realistic dream,obviously. | 显然不会成真的梦 |
| [11:12] | Now,that’s what I thought.Or that’s what I hoped. | 那是我正想的 或是我希望的 |
| [11:16] | But then this thing happens with the truck. | 然后发生了卡车的事情 |
| [11:20] | And I turn…and he’s there. | 我转身…他就在那 |
| [11:24] | Standing on the corner looking at his watch | 站在拐角处看表 |
| [11:26] | like he had a schedule and I was on his to-do list. | 就像他有进度表 而我名列其中 |
| [11:32] | Okay, | 好 |
| [11:34] | you were in shock | 你当时受惊了 |
| [11:36] | You may still be in shock. | 现在仍处在惊吓中 |
| [11:38] | He was trying to tell me something. | 他想告诉我什么 |
| [11:39] | I mean,not with words… | 我是说 没有话语… |
| [11:42] | but it was like… | 但就像… |
| [11:46] | “time up,allison. Prepare.” | “时间到了 Allison 做好准备” |
| [11:57] | I mean,it’s funny that I vaguely remember leaving the scene. | 有趣的是 我模糊的记得离开那里 |
| [12:00] | I barely remember picking the girls up from school. | 几乎不记得 去学校接孩子们 |
| [12:06] | I just… | 我只是… |
| [12:09] | I remember getting home,going into the room, | 记得回到家 进房间 |
| [12:13] | closing the door,and starting to sob. | 关上门 开始哭泣 |
| [12:17] | And swearing to myself i would never drive again. | 然后发誓再也不开车 |
| [12:29] | It’s okay,it’s okay. | 没事的 |
| [12:32] | we’re going to figure this out,all right? | 我们会搞清楚的 |
| [12:34] | It’s going to be okay. | 会好起来的 |
| [12:42] | hey,it’s 10:00. | 10点了 |
| [12:45] | five more minutes? | 再过5分钟 |
| [12:46] | Yeah. | 好 |
| [12:47] | Is mommy feeling better? | 妈妈感觉好些了么? |
| [12:51] | I don’t know.I think so.She’s asleep. | 我不知道 大概吧 她睡了 |
| [12:54] | She had a pretty big scare today. | 她今天吓坏了 |
| [12:56] | But I’m sure she’s going to get over it. | 但我保证她会挺过去 |
| [12:59] | You guys probably didn’t have a chance to talk about any of the stuff i mentioned at breakfast. | 你们可能没有谈 我在早餐时提到的事 |
| [13:07] | I’ll tell you what,I’m going to make an executive decision here. | 你猜怎样 我要做一个决定 |
| [13:10] | And I’m sure that mommy’s going to be fine with it. | 我肯定妈妈没有意见 |
| [13:13] | Tomorrow or the next day,we’ll get you started on your own e-mail account… | 明天或后天 让你拥有自己的E-MAIL账户 |
| [13:22] | okay,here’s the thing. | 好 是这样 |
| [13:24] | Mommy and I are going to have full access. | 妈妈和我要全权监管 |
| [13:28] | We’re both going to know your password. | 我们要知道你的密码 |
| [13:30] | We’ll be able to check your e-mails, | 能察看你的邮件 |
| [13:31] | we’ll be able to check your trash. | 能察看垃圾箱 |
| [13:34] | Okay,daddy. I promise you won’t be disappointed. | 好 爸爸 我保证你们不会失望 |
| [13:37] | Okay,I’m counting on you. | 好 我期待 |
| [13:40] | This is the best birthday present ever. | 这是最好的生日礼物 |
| [13:43] | Well,don’t say that. | 别这样说 |
| [13:44] | Don’t say that till you’ve had your birthday and seen your other presents. | 等我们给你过生日 看了你其他礼物再说 |
| [13:47] | You know,they make these clocks now– | 现在有一种钟表 |
| [13:50] | you can actually wear them on your wrist. | 都可以带在手腕上 |
| [13:54] | Good night,sweetie. Good night,daddy. | – 晚安 亲爱的 – 晚安 爸爸 |
| [13:57] | Five minutes. | 5分钟 |
| [14:03] | oh,hello,allison. | 你好 Allison |
| [14:04] | Good to see you again.Please come in. | 很高兴再见到你 请进 |
| [14:06] | Take a seat | 请坐 |
| [14:08] | Clearly we are destined to do some business together,given the way we keep crossing paths. | 我们总是见面 注定要一起做生意 |
| [14:14] | Oh,heavens… you look disappointed. | 天…你看起来很沮丧 |
| [14:17] | Might I suggest that you simply surrender to the idea. | 我建议你还是放弃 |
| [14:20] | It’s inevitable,I’m afraid. | 恐怕这是不可避免的 |
| [14:23] | How do I know? | 我怎么知道? |
| [14:25] | Allison,like it or not,by a hair,by a second, | Allison 不论你喜不喜欢 每一分 每一秒 |
| [14:31] | by luck,by fate,six times a day | 运气 命运 一天六次 |
| [14:34] | you come this close to meeting the god to whom you pray. | 差这么远就去见你祈祷过的上帝 |
| [14:37] | Sometimes you sense it,like today when you managed to avoid that truck. | 有时察觉到 像你今天躲过卡车一劫 |
| [14:41] | But more often than not,you have no idea just how close you’ve come to… | 但更多的是 你不知道自己距离死亡多近 |
| [14:45] | bathroom? | 浴室? |
| [14:49] | Right outside. | 就在外面 |
| [14:50] | Through the waiting room and to the left. | 穿过等候室左转 |
| [14:52] | Be careful.Bathrooms can be very dangerous places. | 小心 浴室会成为很危险的地方 |
| [14:56] | Did you know that 47% of all accidental deaths take place in the home | 你知道么 47%的意外死亡发生在家中 |
| [14:59] | and that 61% of those happen in the family bathroom? | 而其中61%发生在浴室 |
| [15:05] | that’s all right. | 没关系 |
| [15:06] | You go ahead,I’ll get that. | 你先走 我来接 |
| [15:10] | what’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
| [15:11] | Hello. | 你好 |
| [15:13] | Allison,it’s manuel devalos. | Allison这里是Manuel Devalos |
| [15:14] | Sorry to wake you at this ungodly hour, | 抱歉在这个时间叫醒你 |
| [15:16] | but I just got a call that a body was discovered at the viceroy motel downtown | 我刚接到电话 市中心的Viceroy汽车旅馆发现一具尸体 |
| [15:21] | that matches the general description of dr. Dean bannister. | 符合Dean Bannister医生的一般特征 |
| [15:25] | I’m on my way over there now. | 我正去那里 |
| [15:27] | Do you want to meet me there? | 你也去么? |
| [15:30] | I… I don’t know.Drive downtown. | 我不知道… 开车到市中心 |
| [15:34] | Would it help if I picked you up? | 我去接你怎样? |
| [15:36] | I can run the kids to school. | 我可以送孩子上学 |
| [15:40] | That would be great. | 那好 |
| [15:44] | It’s him.Wallet was still in his pants. | 是他 钱包还在裤兜里 |
| [15:47] | All his id plus about 400 bucks. | 有身份证和大约400块 |
| [15:50] | So we’re not looking at robbery. | 那么这不是抢劫 |
| [15:52] | I’m not sure we’re looking at foul play of any kind. | 我不认为有某种暴行 |
| [15:54] | They found the body in there. | 他们在那里发现尸体 |
| [15:56] | In the bathroom? | 在浴室? |
| [15:59] | You’d be amazed at how treacherous bathrooms can be. | 你不会想到浴室会有多危险 |
| [16:01] | No. I’ve heard. | 不 我听说过 |
| [16:03] | Appears as though he slipped in the shower, | 看起来像他在淋浴时滑倒 |
| [16:05] | cracked his skull on the bathtub spigot. | 在浴缸的龙头上摔碎了头骨 |
| [16:07] | He’s been laying in there for hours with the water running on him. | 他躺在那几小时了 水一直流着 |
| [16:10] | The maid found him. | 女佣发现了他 |
| [16:11] | Anybody talk to the desk clerk? | 和登记处谈了么? |
| [16:12] | That’s where it gets interesting. | 那才是有趣的地方 |
| [16:14] | Apparently,dr. Bannister checked into the hotel at 7:00 the night before last… alone. | 显然Bannister医生前天晚上7点入住 孤身一人… |
| [16:19] | Just like he did every tuesday. | 像以往每个周二 |
| [16:21] | Paid cash.Signed an illegible signature on the id card. | 付钱 签上不可辨认的名字 |
| [16:25] | So much for the tuesday racquetball game. | 对壁球比赛来说太过分了 |
| [16:27] | Did the clerk happen to see who he might have been meeting? | 登记员是否看到和他会面的人? |
| [16:30] | No,but as he reminded me,in places like this,you’re actually paid not to see. | 没有 但他提醒我 在这种地方拿钱就闭上眼 |
| [16:33] | Shall we take a look? | 我们去看看 |
| [16:37] | Seems pretty clear what happened. | 我想事情很清楚 |
| [16:39] | I guess when your time’s up,your time’s up. | 时间到就是时间到 |
| [16:42] | I think I ought to really drive over to dr. Bannister’s,house,talk to his widow. | 我想我该去Bannister家 和他的妻子谈谈 |
| [16:47] | Any way that you can give allison a ride home so she can pick up her car? | 你能送Allison一下么 让她回去开车 |
| [16:51] | I don’t want you to go out of your way. | 我不想让你分神 |
| [16:52] | Just if you could give me a ride to city hall | 只需把我送到市政厅 |
| [16:54] | joe can pick me upon the way home. | Joe会接我回家 |
| [16:57] | Yeah,sure,whatever works for you. | 当然 只要你愿意 |
| [17:02] | Did you see any condoms? | 你看到避孕套了么? |
| [17:04] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
| [17:05] | In the room back there– did you see any condoms or condom wrappers? | 在那房间里 你是否看到有避孕套或者塑封? |
| [17:09] | No,but what does that prove? | 没有 但那说明什么? |
| [17:11] | Threw them out,flush them down the toilet,maid cleaned the room after his guest left. | 可能扔到外面 冲下马桶 他的”客人”离开后女佣整理了房间 |
| [17:14] | Where you going with this? | 你怎么会想到这个? |
| [17:16] | The bed was made perfectly. | 床叠得很整齐 |
| [17:18] | They did it in the bathroom. | 他们在浴室里嘿咻 |
| [17:20] | No. The clothes were in a pile on the floor next to the bed. | 不 衣服堆在床边 |
| [17:23] | So he did a little horizontal rumba on the bed,went out for a bite to eat,the maid cleaned the room. | 那就是在床上”躺倒伦巴” 然后出去吃东西 女佣整理了房间 |
| [17:27] | Yeah,then he came back and took a shower? | 然后回来洗澡? |
| [17:28] | Since when did you become an expert on these matter? | 你何时在这方面成为专家的? |
| [17:30] | I’m just saying,he had limited time. | 就是说说 他时间有限 |
| [17:32] | His wife thought he was playing racquetball. | 他老婆认为他去打壁球 |
| [17:34] | She expected him home at 9:00 or so. | 等他9点左右回家 |
| [17:36] | Just doesn’t make any sense to me. | 对我说不过去 |
| [17:38] | What doesn’t make sense to you? | 什么对你说得过去? |
| [17:40] | I don’t think he was with a woman. | 我不认为他和女人在一起 |
| [17:42] | What,he rented a seedy hotel room so he could take a shower? | 什么 他住进破旅馆只为洗澡? |
| [17:45] | That’s my point. | 这就是我要说的 |
| [17:47] | We don’t know why he was there. | 我们不知道他为何在那 |
| [17:48] | We’re just guessing. | 我们只是猜测 |
| [17:49] | Until we know why he was there,we can’t be sure what happened to him. | 只有知道为何他在那 我们才可以确定他出了什么事 |
| [17:52] | Sure we can. | 我们当然可以 |
| [17:53] | He slipped and fell in the shower,allison. | 他洗澡时滑倒 |
| [17:55] | Slips happen. | 滑倒总是发生 |
| [17:56] | It was his time. | 轮到他了 |
| [17:57] | And when it’s your time,it’s your time | 时间到就是时间到 |
| [17:58] | Says who? | 谁说的? |
| [18:10] | I… I’ve been thinking about the bannister case. | 我在琢磨Bannister的案子 |
| [18:13] | It’s not a case,allison. | 那不是案子 Allison |
| [18:14] | These are cases. | 这些是案子 |
| [18:15] | There’s a crime,there’s a motive,there’s a suspect. | 有罪行 有动机 有嫌疑犯 |
| [18:17] | But I have those. | 我有这些 |
| [18:19] | Really? | 真的? |
| [18:20] | So now you tell me | 那么你是想说 |
| [18:21] | you think some fiend slicked up that tub so dr. B would slip on purpose? | 你认为恶魔抛光了地板 故意造成Bannister医生滑倒 |
| [18:28] | Sykes V. Bannister. | |
| [18:30] | Turns out dr. Bannister is being sued by the father of a patient named jeremy sykes who died while under his care. | 似乎Bannister被一个病人的父亲起诉 病人叫Jeremy Sykes 在他的监护下死亡 |
| [18:36] | He’s a cancer doctor,allison. | 他是个肿瘤医生 |
| [18:37] | Lawsuits are practically part of the job description. | 法律诉讼实际上 成为其工作的一部分 |
| [18:39] | Yes,but sykes went so far as to physically attack bannister during pretrial hearings. | 是的 但是Skyes家人如此愤怒 以至于在审前听证时对Bannister拳脚相加 |
| [18:45] | I take it he thought his son’s death was somehow bannister’s fault. | 我理解为 他将儿子的死 归咎于Bannister |
| [18:48] | Well,apparently,bannister was one of a handful of doctors | 很明显 Bannister是少数… |
| [18:50] | treating patients with diathamoxin | 用Diathamoxin治疗病人的医生 |
| [18:56] | I know. I haven’t heard of it either. | 我知道 我也没听说过 |
| [18:58] | It’s new. | 是新药 |
| [18:59] | It’s from switzerland. | 瑞士生产 |
| [19:00] | Hasn’t been approved by the fda,so insurance won’t cover it. | 没有被食品药物管理局认可 所以没有保险 |
| [19:05] | So sykes thought he was paying for a miracle cure,and when he didn’t get it… | 那么Sykes认为是仙药 而当他发现无效… |
| [19:08] | not only didn’t he get it,but according to the claim that sykes filed, | 不只是无效 根据Sykes提交的诉状 |
| [19:12] | jeremy got precipitously worse after taking this drugand died six months later. | Jeremy服药后病情迅速恶化 六个月后死亡 |
| [19:17] | You have a crime,you have a suspect,you have a motive. | 有罪行 有嫌疑犯 有动机 |
| [19:21] | I’ll tell you what. | 我告诉你 |
| [19:23] | The coroner’s report should be issued tomorrow. | 验尸官的报告明天出来 |
| [19:25] | Why don’t you and i take a ride down there. | 我们先开车去那里 |
| [19:27] | If he gives me some reason to think that it wasn’t an accident, | 如果有理由让我相信不是意外 |
| [19:30] | I’ll follow up on this hunch of yours. | 我会跟着你的感觉走 |
| [19:36] | Something else? | 还有事么? |
| [19:39] | Can you give me a ride somewhere? | 你能载我一程么? |
| [19:41] | It was so cool,daddy. | 太酷了 爸爸 |
| [19:43] | I bet that the kids at school thought that we were getting arrested. | 我打赌同学们都认为我们被逮捕了 |
| [19:48] | One can only hope. | 但愿如此 |
| [19:51] | Detective scanlon let me turn on the sirens. | Scanlon警探让我拉警笛 |
| [19:54] | It was pretty exciting. | 非常刺激 |
| [19:55] | Could we do it again tomorrow? | 明天还能再来么? |
| [19:57] | Yeah,mom,can you drive me to work? | 妈妈 你能送我上班么? |
| [20:17] | abandon all hope,ye who enter here. | 入此门者 莫存侥幸 |
| [20:24] | Not exactly dante’s inferno,but close enough. | 这里不是但丁的地狱 但已很接近 |
| [20:31] | Six months. | 六个月 |
| [20:40] | Six weeks. | 六周 |
| [20:49] | Two years tops. | 最多两年 |
| [20:50] | And there’s no hope for any of them? | 他们都没有希望了? |
| [20:52] | There’s an old saying. | 有句老话 |
| [20:54] | “The enemies of death are luck and hope.” | “运气和希望是死亡的敌人” |
| [20:57] | It’s not true by the way.I’m good friends with both. | 也不尽然 我黑白通吃 |
| [21:03] | I’m going to let you in on a secret,allison. | 我让你知道些秘密 Allison |
| [21:06] | It’s not about the archetypal constructs of | 这不是关于善与恶 |
| [21:08] | good and evil,faith and hope,life and the death | 命运和希望 生与死的原始构造 |
| [21:11] | It’s about science,math,biology, | 而是关于科学 数学 生物学 |
| [21:15] | the politics of finance,globle enconomics | 金融政策 全球经济 |
| [21:18] | the cost of living versus the cost of dying, | 生存开销对死亡开销 |
| [21:20] | who can afford how much and who’s willing to pay. | 谁能负担多少 以及谁愿意付钱 |
| [21:26] | Death is good. | 死亡是好的 |
| [21:29] | Death is necessary. | 死亡是必要的 |
| [21:31] | And with a little bit of planning, | 通过一点计划 |
| [21:32] | death can even be a win-win. | 死亡甚至可以实现双赢 |
| [21:36] | I honestly marvel at how passionately some people resist it. | 我真的感到惊奇 某些人如此强烈地反抗 |
| [21:40] | Take this case. | 那这个来说 |
| [21:42] | Truly tragic. | 十分悲惨 |
| [21:48] | Is he going to die soon? | 他不久后会死么? |
| [21:50] | No,damn it. | 不 该死 |
| [21:51] | He’s going to go into remission. | 他会好转 |
| [21:53] | He’s going to live a long and happy life,I’m afraid. | 恐怕他要过上长久快乐的生活 |
| [22:01] | Tell me,have you had a physical recently? | 告诉我 你最近体检了么? |
| [22:10] | Is there any way i could come in today? | 我能不能今天去? |
| [22:13] | Who’s mommy talking to? | 妈妈在和谁说话? |
| [22:15] | Doctor’s office. | 医生 |
| [22:17] | If you don’t have time for a full physical, | 如果你没有时间做全套体检 |
| [22:19] | is there any way i can come in for like a mini checkup just to tide me over? | 我能否做个迷你检查 让我放心一些 |
| [22:24] | 1:30 today. Okay,great | 今天1点半 好 |
| [22:29] | Thanks bye | 谢谢 再见 |
| [22:31] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
| [22:33] | Mini checkup? | 迷你检查? |
| [22:34] | I don’t think they have those in our plan. | 我不认为他们有这个项目 |
| [22:38] | Hey,can I talk to you over here for a moment? | 能跟你说两句么? |
| [22:48] | I’m having a little anxiety about my health. | 我有些担心我的健康 |
| [22:50] | I don’t see why. | 我觉得没理由 |
| [22:52] | What with all the extra walking you’ll be doing not that you won’t drive. | 考虑到你比开车时多走很多路 |
| [22:56] | I’m asking for your help. | 我在求你帮忙 |
| [22:58] | What? 1:30?You want me to drive you? | 什么?1点半? 你想让我送你? |
| [23:02] | I’ll be at work,allison. | 我那时在上班 Allison |
| [23:04] | I don’t need you to take me. | 我不用你送我 |
| [23:06] | Detective scanlon’s coming to pick me up this morning to take me to the morgue. | Scanlon警探今早接我去停尸房 |
| [23:09] | I’ll probably get him to drop me off. | 我让他送我 |
| [23:10] | I just need you to pick me up around 3:00 so we can go get the girls. | 只要你3点接我 然后我们去接孩子们 |
| [23:14] | Are you listening to yourself? | 你听到自己说的么? |
| [23:15] | One simple errand now involves | 一个简单的差事 现在涉及到 |
| [23:18] | a police escort and your husband taking off work early. | 警车护送和你丈夫的早退 |
| [23:21] | Could I take that as a yes? | 可以理解为同意么? |
| [23:26] | Are you sure? I mean,he couldn’t have been hit and moved into the shower to make it look like an accident? | 你确定他不是被袭击后 移入浴室并伪装成意外? |
| [23:30] | Not likely. | 不太像 |
| [23:33] | You see here how this fits the indentation in the skull? | 你看这里 与头骨的缺口十分吻合 |
| [23:37] | So his injury is completely consistent with an accidental fall in the bathtub. | 那么这个创伤完全符合 在浴缸里的意外跌倒 |
| [23:41] | You’d be surprised how common that is. | 你会吃惊这种事情有多普遍 |
| [23:46] | You’re not taking thomas road? | 你没走Thomas路 |
| [23:48] | It’s faster. | 这里更快 |
| [23:50] | This is the intersection where I almost got hit by that truck. | 这是我差点被撞的路口 |
| [23:58] | Oh,my god.That’s him. | 天哪 那就是他 |
| [24:01] | That’s death. | 那就是死神 |
| [24:04] | Huh,what are you talking about? | 你在说什么? |
| [24:06] | On that bus bench. | 公交长椅上 |
| [24:14] | Death’s name is “bob”? | 死神名叫…”Bob”? |
| [24:19] | But I don’t understand. | 但我不明白 |
| [24:20] | No one I know sends me an e-mail. | 我认识的人 没人给我发邮件 |
| [24:21] | No one I know has my e-mail address, | 我认识的人 没有我的邮箱地址 |
| [24:24] | but I still keep getting mail from people I’ve never met. | 但我还是收到 陌生人发来的邮件 |
| [24:26] | It’s called spam,sweetie. | 这是垃圾邮件 |
| [24:28] | It’s like junk mail,but it goes through your computer. | 只不过是通过电脑 |
| [24:30] | But I don’t like it.I want real mail. | 但我不喜欢它 我想收到真正的邮件 |
| [24:34] | Tell you what. | 听着 |
| [24:35] | When I get into work,I’ll send you something. | 我上班后会发信给你 |
| [24:40] | Here.thank you | – 给 – 谢谢 |
| [24:46] | You still looking at this guy? | 你还在看这个人 |
| [24:49] | I’m going to call him. | 我要打电话给他 |
| [24:51] | Why? We already have an insurance agent. | 为什么 我们已经有保险代理了 |
| [24:54] | Besides,I’m not sure how I feel about buying life from death. | 另外我对购买生死 感到无所适从 |
| [24:58] | Not funny. | 不开玩笑 |
| [24:59] | I’m going to buy anything. | 我会去买 |
| [25:01] | I’m not going to sign anything. | 我会去签字 |
| [25:03] | I’m just going to meet with him,get to the bottom of this thing. | 我会去见他 把这事探个究竟 |
| [25:06] | What thing? | 什么事? |
| [25:09] | I’m just going to say this,allison. | 我只想说…Allison |
| [25:12] | You used to drive through that intersection every day. | 你每天都开过那个路口 |
| [25:15] | So? | 那么? |
| [25:16] | So isn’t it possible | 那么是否有可能… |
| [25:18] | that you may have personified your anxieties about death? | 你将对死亡的焦虑 |
| [25:22] | About mortality, | 对命悬一线的焦虑 |
| [25:24] | about leaving the girls, | 对离开孩子们的焦虑 |
| [25:26] | leaving me | 对离开我的焦虑 |
| [25:27] | and given them a face, | 赋予它们一张脸 |
| [25:30] | his face? | 他的脸 |
| [25:35] | You know what?I take it back. | 我收回刚才的话 |
| [25:38] | Call this guy.Go see him. | 给他打电话 去见他 |
| [25:39] | But do yourself a favor and drive there. | 但帮自己个忙 开车去那里 |
| [25:42] | Why are you saying this? | 你为什么这样说? |
| [25:43] | Because if this guy is really death | 因为如果这个人真的是死神 |
| [25:46] | and your number really is up | 并且真的轮到你 |
| [25:49] | then it’s up whether you drive or not. | 那么开不开车都一样 |
| [25:52] | But if this guy is just an insurance agent, | 但如果这个人只是个保险代理商 |
| [25:55] | then you living your life in fear of something that might happen, | 而你生活在对可能 发生的事情的恐惧中 |
| [26:00] | that’s no way toive. | 只会生不如死 |
| [26:10] | anything you need, | 有什么可以帮忙的 |
| [26:11] | anything at all. | 任何事情 |
| [26:12] | I hear there’s aotor in flagstaff who might be willing to prescribe it. | 我听说Flagstaff有个医生愿意开这个药 |
| [26:16] | If you have any trouble getting in to see him, | 如果他不收治你 |
| [26:17] | you tell them your viatical is with me and there’s plenty of money left over for your treatment. | 告诉他们我负责你的保单贴现 仍有充足的钱用于你的治疗 |
| [26:21] | Thank you,mr. Sherman. | 谢谢 Sherman先生 |
| [26:23] | It’s my pleasure. For everything | 我感到荣幸 |
| [26:24] | Of course. | 没关系 |
| [26:29] | I still can’t believe he’s gone. | 我仍不敢相信他死了 |
| [26:31] | Yes,dr. Bannister was a lovely,lovely man. | 是的 Bannister医生是个很好的人 |
| [26:39] | Oh,you must be mrs. Dubois. | 你一定是Dubois女士 |
| [26:40] | The only inevitable things in life are death, | 一生中唯一不能避免的 是死亡… |
| [26:44] | taxes and my assistant catching the flu at the worst possible time. | 纳税 和助手在 最不应该的时间患上流感 |
| [26:48] | I’m just about done here. | 马上就好 |
| [26:49] | Thank you for seeing me on such short notice. | 谢谢你这么快见我 |
| [26:52] | Oh,it’s my pleasure. | 这是我的荣幸 |
| [26:54] | You’re one of the few,mrs. Dubois,I can tell. | 你是人上之人 我能看出来 |
| [26:57] | The few? | 人上之人 |
| [26:58] | Most people think they’re going to live forever, | 多数人认为他们能永远活着 |
| [27:00] | but there are a few of us who realize that each moment could potentially be our last. | 而很少一些人能够意识到 每一刻都可能是潜在的终结 |
| [27:05] | We are the ones who prepare for the inevitable. | 我们准备好迎接死亡 |
| [27:09] | It’s none of my business,but the man who just left. | 这不关我的事 但刚离开的那个人 |
| [27:13] | Leukemia. | 白血病 |
| [27:16] | Was he a patient of dr. Bannister’s? | 他是Bannister的病人么? |
| [27:18] | Oh,did you know dean? | 你认识Dean |
| [27:20] | No,not personally. | 不是私人的 |
| [27:22] | I know people who are very fond of him. | 我认识喜欢他的人 |
| [27:26] | Pathetic way to lose one’s life,isn’t it, | 悲惨的结束生命的方式 不是么 |
| [27:29] | taking a spill in the shower? | 淋浴时摔倒 |
| [27:32] | Pathetic but not uncommon,I’m afraid. | 悲惨但平常 |
| [27:34] | Did you know that the average bathroom is one of the most perilous places on earth, | 你知道平常的浴室 是地球上最危险的地方之一 |
| [27:38] | statistically speaking of course? | 当然从统计数据上看 |
| [27:40] | I heard that. | 我听说过 |
| [27:43] | How well did you know dr. Bannister? | 你多了解Bannister医生? |
| [27:45] | Oh,I wrote a policy for him and his wife several years ago and we became friends. | 几年前我给他和妻子上了保险 于是我们成为朋友 |
| [27:50] | We used to play racquetball virtually every tuesday. | 事实上我们每周二打壁球 |
| [27:53] | Him. That’s him. | 他 就是他 |
| [27:55] | And the crime is? | 罪行是? |
| [27:56] | He said they played racquetball. | 他说他打壁球 |
| [28:00] | Racquetball-playing and the claim to have played racquetball | 打壁球和宣称打过壁球 |
| [28:02] | both have been decriminalized in arizona for quite some time. | 这两项在Arizona 已经非刑事化很久了 |
| [28:05] | You’re mocking me. | 你在嘲笑我 |
| [28:06] | I’m trying to reason with you. | 我在跟你讲道理 |
| [28:07] | The victim in question appears to have slipped and fallen in a bathtub. | 受害者看来是在浴缸里滑倒 |
| [28:10] | That’s heartbreaking,allison, | 令人心痛 |
| [28:13] | but it’s not illegal. | 但不违法 |
| [28:22] | someone! Anyone! | 有人吗?来人啊 |
| [28:31] | You can’t stop the inevitable,allison. | 你阻止不了的 Allison |
| [28:35] | So why not hurry it along instead? | 为什么不顺水推舟? |
| [28:44] | morning,early bird.What you doing,homework? | 早安 亲爱的 在做作业吗? |
| [28:48] | No,I’m sending an e-mail. | 不 我在发邮件 |
| [28:49] | So one of your friends finally sent you an e-mail,huh? | 终于有朋友发邮件给你了? |
| [28:52] | No,I’m writing this company telling them to stop e-mailing me. | 不 我要阻止这家公司继续发邮件给我 |
| [28:56] | They’re writing,like,20 e-mails a day, | 他们每天发给我20封 |
| [28:58] | and I have no idea what they’re even talking about. | 我都不知道信的内容是什么 |
| [29:04] | There’s usually something you can click on the bottom of the letter to get off their mailing list. | 你可以点邮件末尾的键退订 |
| [29:09] | I’ve done that. | 我试过了 |
| [29:09] | I’ve done that,like,ten times, | 我做了十次了 |
| [29:11] | and every time they’d write me a letter | 每次他们都会说 |
| [29:13] | assuring me that this is not spam | 这不是群发的垃圾邮件 |
| [29:14] | and that they’re writing especially to me. | 而是专门写给我的 |
| [29:17] | Can I see some of these letters? | 我能看看吗 |
| [29:18] | Can you print some out? | 你能为我打印出来吗 |
| [29:20] | “Ariel,you could be making big money buying and selling viaticals.” | Ariel 你做这个买卖会赚大钱的 |
| [29:25] | “Ariel,why aren’t you profiting | Ariel 为什么… |
| [29:27] | from the easy money to be made in viaticals?” | 不通过保单提现捞一笔呢? |
| [29:30] | “Ariel,want to get started in viaticals?We’ll show you how.” | Ariel 想开始吗?我们会教你的 |
| [29:34] | What’s a viatical? | 什么是保单提现 |
| [29:36] | A viatical. | 保单提现 |
| [29:38] | It’s an instrument created to theoretically help people realize | 它是个理论上帮助人们在死前 |
| [29:42] | the value of their life insurance before they die. | 认识到人寿保险重要性的手段 |
| [29:45] | You mean a way to borrow against it? | 你是说抵押保单吗? |
| [29:47] | Well,sort of. | 可以这么说 |
| [29:49] | Say you have a life insurance policy that pays out a million dollars upon your death | 假如你投保100万的寿险 |
| [29:53] | but you need the money now to, | 但你现在需要钱 |
| [29:55] | I don’t know, | 比如 |
| [29:56] | pay for an experimental drug treatment to keep you alive. | 付钱进行试验性药物治疗 来维持你的生命 |
| [29:59] | You can sell your policy to someone like sherman, | 你可以把你的保单卖给Sherman |
| [30:01] | who agrees to give you a couple hundred grand up front, | 他同意预先给你几千块 |
| [30:03] | pay your premiums, | 用来付你的保险费 |
| [30:04] | plus give you a monthly stipend s long as you’re alive. | 并在有生之年每月给你贴现 |
| [30:07] | Well,what’s in it for sherman? | 那Sherman能得到什么 |
| [30:09] | Well,he’s betting that you die | 他在打赌 你是不是 |
| [30:11] | before he has to pay out the whole million. | 会在他付清所有钱之前死去 |
| [30:13] | And if you do,he gets to pocket the balance. | 如果你是 他就收获余额 |
| [30:17] | What a cynical way to make a living. | 真是个讽刺的谋生方式 |
| [30:19] | No wonder I dreamt he was death. | 怪不得我梦到他是死神 |
| [30:22] | Still doesn’t make him a murderer. | 这仍然不能认定他为凶手 |
| [30:23] | I know,but there is some connection, | 我知道 可这之间是有联系的 |
| [30:25] | and it’s not just racquetball. | 不只是壁球 |
| [30:26] | I saw him standing in that motel room, | 我看到他站在旅馆房间里 |
| [30:29] | a wall of fire behind him,welcoming bannister. | 身后是一堵火墙 |
| [30:33] | Well,they were colleaguesof a sort. | 他们是一丘之貉 |
| [30:35] | One man administered the experimental drug treatment, | 一个监管试验性药物治疗 |
| [30:38] | and the other helped you pay for it. | 另一个帮你付款 |
| [30:42] | What if the drugs were bad? | 如果药品不合格呢 |
| [30:45] | I don’t follow. | 我不明白 |
| [30:47] | I had this dream last night i was in this hospital ward, | 我昨晚梦到在这家医院病房里 |
| [30:51] | and this woman,she was struggling against the drugs she had been given. | 看到一个女人打破她的输液袋 |
| [30:54] | Turns out,they weren’t drugs at all. | 看起来那根本不是药物 |
| [30:56] | It was just… sand. | 而是…沙子 |
| [30:59] | I still don’t follow. | 我仍然不明白 |
| [31:00] | If your drugs are bad,you die quicker,right? | 如果药品不合格 你将死得更快 是吗? |
| [31:04] | Which is good for whoever buys your viatical,isn’t it? | 而对买你的保单的人来说 却是有利的 不是吗 |
| [31:10] | It’s an interesting theory. | 有趣的理论 |
| [31:13] | Maybe I’ll have scanlon do a little research. | 也许我应该让Scanlon做个调查 |
| [31:16] | Research? That’s it? | 只是调查? |
| [31:17] | Well,let’s see how the research goes, | 我们看看调查结果如何 |
| [31:19] | and if we like what we see,maybe we’ll play a little poker. | 如果我们对看到的满意 也许可以玩把牌 |
| [31:24] | Poker?With who? | 玩牌?和谁 |
| [31:36] | Mr. Sherman,I appreciate you coming down here. | Sherman先生 感谢你来到这里 |
| [31:39] | In the course of investigating the death of your friend,your client dr. Bannister, | 在你的朋友和客户 Bannister医生死亡案件的调查中 |
| [31:43] | some questions have arisen about the nature of his medical practice. | 出现了一些关于他行医态度的问题 |
| [31:47] | My questions really have to do with certain civil suits that were pending | 我的问题与某些 未决的民事诉讼有关 |
| [31:50] | against dr. Bannister prior to his passing. | 这些诉讼在他去世之前 状告Bannister医生 |
| [31:54] | I see. | 我明白 |
| [31:56] | I was hardly privy to everything about his practice, | 我对他的行医状况毫不知情 |
| [32:00] | but I’ll be glad to tell you what I know. | 但仍然乐意告诉你我所知道的 |
| [32:05] | Do you recognize any of the names on the list? | 你认识名单中的人吗? |
| [32:08] | I take it this is a list of dean’s patients? | 这是Dean医生病人的名单 |
| [32:12] | Yes,I do. | 是的 有些认识 |
| [32:14] | I did business with several of them. | 和其中一些有生意往来 |
| [32:16] | By business,you mean you purchased their life insurance policies,isn’t that right? | 生意往来 你是说 你购买了他们的人寿保单 是吗? |
| [32:20] | Providing viaticals for them to pay for their treatments? | 并为他们的治疗提供保单贴现 |
| [32:24] | With several of them,yes. | 其中一些 是的 |
| [32:26] | Nine,actually,out of the 23 patients on the list. | 事实上是23人中的9个 |
| [32:29] | Out of the 23 patients involved in bannister’s experimental drug treatments, | Bannister医生试验性药物治疗的23人中 |
| [32:32] | you purchased the life insurance policies of nine. | 你购买了9人的人寿保单 |
| [32:35] | Isn’t that correct? | 对吗? |
| [32:36] | It’s possible. | 可能 |
| [32:38] | I don’t have my records with me. | 我自己没有记录 |
| [32:40] | Be glad to confirm that figure when I return to my office. | 我回办公室后很乐意进行确认 |
| [32:43] | Am I missing something here? | 我漏掉什么了吗? |
| [32:45] | I’m curious. Did dr. Bannister refer these patients to you? | 我很好奇 Bannister医生向你 提到过这些病人吗? |
| [32:48] | Yes,he did.I was only too happy to help. | 是的 我只是乐于帮助 |
| [32:51] | Help? | 帮助 |
| [32:53] | I’m confused. | 我不明白 |
| [32:54] | The way that I understood it, | 我的理解是 |
| [32:56] | the quicker these patients die,the more you stand to profit. | 病人死得越快 你赚得就越多 |
| [33:02] | Everyone dies. | 每个人都会死 |
| [33:04] | And every business existsto make a profit. | 每行每业都是为了利润 |
| [33:07] | Now,it’s true,mine may appear to be an especially morbid business, | 是的 我的生意看起来特别病态 |
| [33:11] | but… the fact is, | 但事实上 |
| [33:14] | a viatical can be a godsend to a poor soul who’s fighting for his life and has no other resources. | 保单贴现对挣扎活命 一无所有的穷人来说则是天赐 |
| [33:22] | Still,what you do isn’t exactly charity,mr. Sherman. | 你所做的仍不是慈善 Sherman先生 |
| [33:26] | You don’t really understand the business of dying,do you? | 你不理解死亡生意 是么? |
| [33:30] | I’m a homicide detective,sir. | 我是个刑事侦探 先生 |
| [33:32] | Oh,yes. You know about death. | 是的 你了解死亡 |
| [33:33] | The messy aftermath,the suffering. | 杂乱的后事 痛苦的煎熬 |
| [33:36] | But I’m talking about the suffering itself,detective. | 但我说的是煎熬本身 侦探 |
| [33:39] | I’m talking about dying. | 我在谈论死亡 |
| [33:41] | A dying man will do anything in his power to cling to the last shreds of life, | 垂死的人愿意尽一切力量 抓住最后一根救命稻草 |
| [33:46] | no matter how painful his existence has become. | 无论他的今世变的多么痛苦 |
| [33:50] | He’ll do anything, | 他会不惜一切代价 |
| [33:51] | give anything | 献出一切 |
| [33:53] | sell any thing all for a little hope | 变卖一切东西 以换回一丝生机 |
| [33:58] | And you gave that hope. | 所以你给了他们希望 |
| [33:59] | Yes,I did. | 是的 |
| [34:02] | And dr. Bannister gave them even more than that. | Bannister医生给他们的则更多 |
| [34:04] | He gave them results. | 他给了他们结果 |
| [34:05] | The man was considered something of a miracle worker. | 他被认为是奇迹缔造者 |
| [34:07] | You see,that’s the strange part. | 这就是奇怪的地方 |
| [34:09] | That’s the part that we can’t quite figure out because,for a miracle worker, | 这就是没有弄清的地方 因为作为奇迹缔造者 |
| [34:12] | dr. Bannister was having a pretty off year. | Bannister医生这一年很清淡 |
| [34:14] | How do you mean? | 什么意思? |
| [34:15] | Of the 23 patients involved in bannister’s experimental drug program, | 在参加Bannister医生的 药物实验的23个人中 |
| [34:19] | 12 of them died in the past nine months. | 有12个在9个月内相继死去 |
| [34:21] | And of that 12,seven of them had sold their life insurance policies to you. | 其中7个都把人寿保单卖给你 |
| [34:26] | Seven,you say? | 你说7个 |
| [34:28] | I had no idea it was that many. | 我不知道有这么多 |
| [34:29] | You want to hear another strange statistic? | 想听另外一些奇怪的数据吗? |
| [34:32] | According to the records of bannister’s swiss drug supplier, | 根据Bannister医生的 瑞士药品供应商的记录 |
| [34:34] | bannister purchased enough medication to treat ten patients last year. | 他购买了10人次的药物 |
| [34:39] | Remarkably,he managed to treat 23. | 不可思议的是 他治疗了23个 |
| [34:42] | We believe that dr. Bannister may have been diluting his drugs. | 我们认为Bannister医生稀释了他的药品 |
| [34:46] | That’s absurd. | 这太荒谬了 |
| [34:48] | Dr. Bannister was a brilliant,compassionate man. | Bannister医生是个 杰出的 富有同情心的人 |
| [34:52] | He loved his patients above all things. | 他爱病人胜过一切 |
| [34:54] | Well,maybe not above all things. | 也许不是一切 |
| [34:57] | And as you pointed out,everyone dies eventually. | 象你刚才说的 每个人都会死 |
| [35:00] | Anyway. | 但是 |
| [35:02] | The sad truth is,it appears the good doctor’s patients paid full price for their treatment | 不幸的事实是 好医生的病人付了全额药费 |
| [35:08] | and were getting medications that were only a third of the necessary potency. | 却只得到必要剂量的1/3 |
| [35:11] | With bannister pocketing the difference. | Bannister医生吞下了差额 |
| [35:13] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
| [35:15] | None of this sounds like the man I know. | 不象是我认识的那个Bannister医生 |
| [35:17] | I mean,really,how much money could possibly be made by diluting a handful of patients’ drugs? | 我的意思是 靠稀释病人的药品才能赚多少 |
| [35:22] | It sounds preposterous. | 听起来真荒谬 |
| [35:23] | I agree. | 我同意你的看法 |
| [35:24] | Which brings me back to the seven patients whose life insurance policies you bought | 这让我想起了 卖给你保单的那7个人 |
| [35:28] | and who began dying shortly after you started paying for their treatment. | 在你付款之后不久就死亡了 |
| [35:32] | Were they just terribly unlucky, | 他们凑巧那么不走运吗? |
| [35:35] | or were you incredibly good at picking winners? | 还是你的手气太好 |
| [35:41] | The two of you were quite a team,weren’t you? | 你们是一伙的 不是吗? |
| [35:43] | He would make sure the patients whose viaticals you owned started dying a little quicker, | 他确保你拥有 其保单的病人死得快些 |
| [35:48] | and in return,he got a cut of the payment. | 作为报酬 他可以分帐 |
| [35:53] | Am I being charged with something? | 我正在被指控么? |
| [35:54] | Is that what’s going on here? | 这就是你们想要的? |
| [36:03] | I’m guessing from your collective silence | 我猜你们的集体沉默是因为… |
| [36:05] | that you don’t have the evidence to support these absurd allegations. | 你们没有证据支持如此荒谬的主张 |
| [36:10] | Of course not. | 当然没有 |
| [36:12] | They’re not true. | 你们说的都不对 |
| [36:19] | what active imaginations you all have. | 你们真有想象力 |
| [36:24] | How dare you? | 你们怎么敢? |
| [36:26] | For god’s sake,the man slipped and fell in his shower. | 省省吧 那家伙在浴缸里滑倒的 |
| [36:31] | You’ll be hearing from my attorney. | 你们会收到我的律师函 |
| [36:32] | Have no fear. | 乐意奉陪 |
| [36:34] | Your attorney will be hearing from me. | 你的律师会先收到我的信 |
| [37:27] | I know how he did it. | 我知道他是怎么干的 |
| [37:29] | Dr. Bannister didn’t slip and fall by accident. | Bannister医生不是意外摔死的 |
| [37:31] | Sherman planned the whole thing. | Sherman设计了一切 |
| [37:33] | Allison.I saw it | – 我看到了 |
| [37:34] | He unscrewed the spigot from the bathtub wall. | 他拧下了浴缸的龙头 |
| [37:37] | He smashed bannister in the skull,then he dragged his body back over to the tub to make it look like a fall. | Sherman打碎了Bannister的头骨 然后移尸浴室 伪装成摔倒的样子 |
| [37:42] | Allison… you should have seen him | Ariel…你见过他 |
| [37:43] | That cold bastard. | 那个冷血动物 |
| [37:45] | Arranging bannister’s body so it would match the hundreds of slip-and-sue cases he’s settled on over the years. | 重新放置Bannister的尸体 以与几百庄类似的案子吻合 |
| [37:50] | Putting plastic on the floor so their would be no blood for us to…allison! | – 把塑料布铺在地上就没有血迹来… |
| [37:55] | I believe you. | 我相信你 |
| [37:58] | I believe you. | 我相信你 |
| [37:59] | I’m just not sure there is anything i can do about it. | 我只是不知道还能做些什么 |
| [38:02] | The fact is,forensics has already been over that spigot. | 事实是 法医已经检验过龙头 |
| [38:05] | The bathtub,bannister’s body,they’re all clean. | 浴缸 尸体 都没有问题 |
| [38:09] | I don’t understand,then. | 我不明白 |
| [38:11] | Why would you believe me? | 你为什么相信我 |
| [38:12] | Wh-what’s changed your mind? | 是什么改变了你的想法 |
| [38:14] | Well after our meeting yesterday,I had a thought. | 昨天的会议之后 我有个想法 |
| [38:17] | I told detective scanlon to go back to that motel | 我让Scanlon侦探回到那个旅馆 |
| [38:20] | and ask the desk clerk one more time | 又询问了一次店员 |
| [38:22] | if he remembered seeing anyone that might have been meeting bannister, | 他是否记得任何人与Bannister医生见面 |
| [38:25] | and,to make it clear that we weren’t necessarily talking about a female. | 还有 提醒他不一定是女性 |
| [38:29] | I also asked him to bring along the ad from the phone book you had given me, | 我还让他带上 你给我的电话簿上的广告 |
| [38:33] | the one with sherman’s picture in it. | 有Sherman照片的那个 |
| [38:34] | That he recognized. | 他认出来了 |
| [38:36] | Turns out he was very familiar with sherman. | 他很熟悉Sherman |
| [38:38] | Well,what are we going to do now? | 那我们现在该干什么? |
| [38:40] | That’s what I’m trying to tell you. | 就是我试图告诉你的 |
| [38:41] | I already did it. | 我已经告诉你了 |
| [38:42] | I told scanlon to bring sherman back in for questioning. | 我让Scanlon侦探审问Sherman |
| [38:45] | He went over to his office first thing this morning. | 他今天一早就去了他的办公室 |
| [38:47] | Oh,my god,that’s great. | 这简直太棒了 |
| [38:49] | It’s closed. | 关门了 |
| [38:51] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
| [38:52] | His office. | 他的办公室 |
| [38:54] | It’s closed. | 关门了 |
| [38:55] | Looks like he got out all the important things last night. | 看来他昨晚已经毁尸灭迹 |
| [38:57] | Scanlon went over to his house– same thing there. | 侦探还去了他家 情况相同 |
| [39:00] | Bank accounts emptied,no forwarding numbers on his phones. | 银行帐户空空如也 电话没有拨出记录 |
| [39:03] | Well,where would he have gone? | 那他可能去了哪? |
| [39:05] | Out of the country,I guess. | 我想是出国 |
| [39:06] | Cayman islands,maybe. | 也许是鳄鱼岛 |
| [39:07] | They like american money.Who knows. | 他们喜欢美金 谁知道呢 |
| [39:10] | He did it. | 是真的吗 |
| [39:14] | I think he did. | 我想是的 |
| [39:16] | And I think,for the moment,he wins. | 我想他暂时是赢了 |
| [39:21] | It’s just…wrong,joe | 不对头 Joe |
| [39:23] | It’s wrong that this guy should cause so much pain and misery | 这个给别人造成痛苦和悲伤的人 |
| [39:27] | to others and just get away with it | 竟然就这么跑了 |
| [39:29] | I agree with you. | 我赞同你的想法 |
| [39:31] | It’s a terrible thing,and he’s a terrible guy. | 可怕的事 可怕的人 |
| [39:34] | But there’s nothing for you to do now. | 但你现在不必做什么 |
| [39:36] | You’ve done all that you can do. | 你已经尽力了 |
| [39:39] | Now you just have to,I don’t know, | 你现在要做的是 也许是 |
| [39:42] | let it go and trust that… | 顺其自然并且相信… |
| [39:44] | trust that what? | 相信什么 |
| [39:46] | Trust that what goes around comes around, | 因果报复 |
| [39:48] | that he’ll get his,that there’s some kind of justice out there in the universe. | 他会有报应的 宇宙中有某种公正 |
| [39:52] | You don’t believe that. | 你自己都不相信 |
| [39:53] | I don’t know what I believe. | 我不知道自己相信什么 |
| [39:55] | It’s almost midnight, | 都半夜了 |
| [39:56] | and we’ve been talking about this for hours. | 我们已经谈论了好几个小时了 |
| [39:59] | I believe we need to get some sleep. | 我想我们该睡觉了 |
| [40:02] | I believe that everything will work out. | 我相信都能解决 |
| [40:05] | It always does. | 总是如此 |
| [40:07] | I’m glad that you’re so certain. | 我很高兴你这么确信 |
| [40:10] | ‘Cause I’m not sure i believe that anymore. | 因为我不确定自己还相信那些 |
| [40:13] | I’m not sure that things do come around. | 我不相信世界是有报应的 |
| [40:18] | I’m not sure about anything. | 我什么都不确信 |
| [40:32] | if that’s the mai tai I ordered, | 如果这是我订的迈泰酒 |
| [40:33] | could you just please bring it in here and place it on the counter,my good fellow? | 你可以送进来放在台子上么 伙计 |
| [40:52] | nice to see you,mr. Sherman. | 见到你很高兴 Sherman先生 |
| [40:55] | Ready to do a little business? | 准备好做个小生意么? |
| [40:57] | Did you know that 47% of all accidental deaths take place in the home? | 你知道47%的事故都发生在家里吗 |
| [41:01] | And 61% of those happen in the bathroom. | 而其中的61%都发生在浴室里 |
| [41:07] | Caymans are really lovely this time of year. | 这个季节的鳄鱼岛可真美 |
| [41:09] | You really should be quite pleased with yourself. | 你一定很为自己而得意吧 |
| [41:12] | You’ve chosen a spectacular place to die. | 你选择了一个很美的地方死亡 |
| [41:19] | Watch that soap. | 小心那块香皂 |
| [41:41] | Are you all right? | 你还好吗 |
| [41:42] | Everything okay? | 还好吗? |
| [41:44] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
| [41:46] | Oh,nothing. | 哦 没什么 |
| [41:49] | I just got woken up by the sound of everything coming around. | 我只是被这世界的因果报应吵醒了 |
| [41:57] | nothing. | 没事的 |
| [42:00] | Never mind.Everything’s fine | 没事 一切都好 |
| [42:06] | go back to sleep. | 睡吧 |