时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:11] | It’s the last day of school, folks. | 今天是最后一天上学了 各位 |
[00:13] | And Devi was feeling good. | 德维感觉很好 |
[00:16] | She’d moved on from Des, | 她已经把德斯忘了 |
[00:17] | and was one step closer to the pinnacle of human existence, senior year. | 离人类存在的高峰 即毕业年 又更近一步 |
[00:22] | Devi Vishwakumar, we need to chat. | 德维·维什瓦库马尔 我们得聊聊 |
[00:24] | Oh no. Is this because I made Mr. Shapiro cry? | 糟糕 是因为 我让夏皮罗老师哭了吗? |
[00:27] | All I did was ask him how the dating apps are treating him. | 我只是问他 他在约会软件上的战绩如何 |
[00:30] | Relax. Relax. You’re not in trouble for once. Have you heard of the Shrubland School? | 放轻松 你这一次没有惹上麻烦 你听说过灌木丛学校吗? |
[00:35] | Uh, yeah? Maybe? Isn’t it like that fancy boarding school in Colorado? | 也许听过吧?是不是 科罗拉多州那所高级寄宿学校? |
[00:39] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 女士 |
[00:40] | It is an intensive one-year program for academically gifted seniors. | 这是一项为期一年的密集课程 专为学业优异的毕业班学生而设 |
[00:45] | Every year, we nominate our top junior, and you got in. | 每年我们都会提名 最优秀的三年级学生 你被选上了 |
[00:49] | – I did? – Mm-hmm. | 是吗? |
[00:50] | Whoa. Wait. Can I put that I got in on my college apps? | 等等 我能在大学申请书里 写上我被选上了吗? |
[00:53] | You know what would be even better? Going there. | 知道什么更好吗?去那里上学! |
[00:56] | – Yeah. – Oh. | -对 -哦 |
[00:58] | Wait. So, like, moving to Colorado? | 等等 所以要搬去科罗拉多州? |
[01:01] | Yes. All the Shrubland kids go to the top colleges. | 是的 所有的灌木丛学生 都会上顶尖的大学 |
[01:04] | This could be your golden ticket into Princeton, young lady. | 这可能是你去普林斯顿的通行证 |
[01:08] | But just to clarify, that means I wouldn’t be here in Sherman Oaks for my senior year? | 澄清一下 这意味着高中最后一年 我不能在舍曼奥克斯这里上了? |
[01:13] | No, Devi. Do we need a geography lesson? | 没错 德维 需要给你上一堂地理课吗? |
[01:16] | You would have to say goodbye. | 你要跟大家道别了 |
[01:19] | Here you go. Congratulations. | 给你 恭喜 |
[01:23] | You! Give me that gun! | 你!把枪给我! |
[01:38] | What is that? Holy shit. Did you get into Shrubland? | 那是什么?天啊 你进灌木丛了? |
[01:40] | Sure did. | 是的 |
[01:42] | Wow, I guess they’ll let anyone in. | 哇 随便什么人他们都愿意收啊 |
[01:45] | Hmm. Someone a little butt hurt that they weren’t even nominated? | 有人因为没有被提名 觉得嫉妒了? |
[01:48] | No, I don’t need to go to some bullshit hippie school | 不 我不需要去什么破嬉皮士学校 |
[01:51] | and commune with crystals or whatever. | 跟水晶什么乱七八糟的交流 |
[01:52] | I’m happy to get into an Ivy the old-fashioned way. | 我乐意用传统的方法进入常春藤 |
[01:54] | Oh! Using your dad’s connections? Good for you. | 哦!利用你爸的关系?好样的 |
[01:57] | Hmm, any chance you’ll leave today? | 你今天就可以离开吗? |
[01:59] | I actually haven’t decided if I’m going. | 我还没决定去不去呢 |
[02:00] | What? What do you mean you haven’t decided? | 什么?你还没决定是什么意思? |
[02:03] | Shrubland is the Exeter of the Rockies. | 灌木丛可以算是 落基山脉的埃克塞特了 |
[02:05] | You just called it a bullshit hippie school. | 你刚刚说这是家破嬉皮士学校 |
[02:07] | Yeah, out of pettiness. You have to go. | 是的 我只是因为小气说的 你必须去 |
[02:09] | But do I really want to spend my last year in a shack in the woods? | 但我真的想在树林的小屋里 度过毕业年吗? |
[02:12] | What about prom, or a senior prank, or hazing freshmen? | 毕业舞会、毕业班恶作剧 或欺负新生的活动怎么办? |
[02:15] | Okay, Animal House. You can’t haze freshmen anymore. | 好了 《动物屋》主人公 你不能再欺负新生了 |
[02:18] | Trying to get rid of me so you have no competition for valedictorian next year? | 你想摆脱我 铲除明年的优秀毕业生对手吗? |
[02:20] | No, although the thought of being able to dominate the school in peace | 不是 虽然这么一想也挺美的 能够平静地当学校的领头羊 |
[02:24] | without you buzzing behind me like a bloodthirsty mosquito does sound nice. | 没有你像一只嗜血蚊子一样 总在我身后缠着我 |
[02:27] | – Hmm. – But for real, David, it’s dumb not to go. | 但说真的 大卫 不去就太蠢了 |
[02:31] | While Ben insisted Devi ditch her John Hughes dreams of senior year, | 虽然本坚持让德维放弃在毕业年 实现约翰·休斯的电影情节的梦想 |
[02:36] | her friends had a very different stance. | 但她的朋友们持有迥然不同的立场 |
[02:38] | No! You can’t leave! Trent is already abandoning me by graduating. | 不!你不能走 特伦特毕业了 算是抛弃我了 |
[02:43] | I know! Like, how can I miss out on senior year with you guys? | 我知道啊!要是没有你们 我的毕业年该怎么过呢? |
[02:46] | I still feel like we have so much to accomplish together before college. | 我还是觉得在上大学之前 我们还有很多事要做 |
[02:50] | I mean, Fabiola and I are still virgins. | 我和法比奥拉还是处女呢 |
[02:53] | Oh, right. Um… | 对哦 |
[02:56] | Fab, what’s that face? | 法比 你的表情是什么意思? |
[02:58] | Okay. So, last week, Addison and I were watching The Mandalorian, | 好 上周艾迪森和我 在看《曼达洛人》 |
[03:04] | and it set a mood, | 让气氛变得暧昧 |
[03:05] | and one thing led to another, and we did it. | 然后一切都顺理成章 我们就做了 |
[03:08] | – Fab! – Oh my God! | 天啊 |
[03:11] | You did? That’s frigging amazing! | 是吗?那太赞了! |
[03:13] | Congratulations on your loverhood. | 恭喜你坠入爱河了! |
[03:15] | Man, I can’t believe you kept that from us. | 不敢相信你瞒着我们 |
[03:18] | I’m sorry. It’s just I’m not as announce-y as you guys are. | 对不起 只是我不像你们 一有什么动静就宣告于世 |
[03:22] | So, how was it with Addison? | 所以你跟艾迪森发展得如何? |
[03:24] | Amazing. I think they awoke something in me. | 很赞 我觉得艾迪森唤醒了我的内心 |
[03:26] | I’m a sensual person now. | 我现在是有情有欲的人了 |
[03:28] | I sext. | 我会发色情短信了 |
[03:32] | Oh my God. Do you guys know what this means? | 我的天 你们知道这意味着什么吗? |
[03:35] | I’m the only virg left. | 我是唯一的处女了 |
[03:37] | I thought I’d be the first to do it because I’m competitive and thirsty. | 我以为我铁定会是第一个破处的 因为我很有胜负欲 也很饥渴 |
[03:40] | – Don’t worry. It will happen for you. – Yeah. | -别担心 你终会破的 -对啊 |
[03:43] | Not if I go to this place. You think these dorks are porkin’? | 我到了这个地方就破不了 你们觉得这些呆子会做爱吗? |
[03:46] | Forget it. I don’t want to miss out on any milestones with you guys, | 算了吧 我不想错过和你们一起的 任何一个里程碑 |
[03:49] | and I can’t be one of those dusty old nuns who doesn’t lose it until college. | 我不能做一个布满尘灰的老姑婆 到大学还是处女 |
[03:53] | – I’m staying put. – Really? Thank God. | -我不走了 -真的吗?谢天谢地 |
[03:55] | Yes! | 太好了! |
[03:57] | – Yo, yo, yo! – What up? | -喂! -怎么了? |
[03:58] | – Oh, hey! – Happy last day of high school ever. | -嘿! -祝高中的最后一天快乐 |
[04:01] | – How you feeling? – Honestly, it’s kind of bittersweet. | -你感觉如何? -说实话 苦乐参半吧 |
[04:04] | I just can’t believe that after today we won’t go here anymore. | 我真不敢相信 今天之后 我们就不用再回来了 |
[04:07] | I need a drink of water. | 我要去喝点水 |
[04:09] | Is he okay? | 他没事吧? |
[04:11] | No, he’s not. | 他有事 |
[04:12] | You guys, he’s in such denial about graduating. | 各位 他非常不愿意接受 毕业这个事实 |
[04:16] | He won’t talk about it. He won’t clean out his locker. | 他不愿意聊 也不愿意清理储物柜 |
[04:18] | He’s just completely shutting down. | 他像行尸走肉一样 |
[04:20] | Yeah, he’s been pretty weird for the last week. Like, even weird by Trent standards. | 上周以来 他一直很奇怪 即使是按特伦特的标准 也很奇怪 |
[04:25] | I think he’s really scared he has to go out and find a job. | 我觉得他真的很害怕 要出去找工作这件事 |
[04:28] | But I also think he’s sad to be leaving me. | 也因为要离开我而感到伤心 |
[04:30] | Aw, El! | 哎哟 小埃! |
[04:31] | Yeah. I don’t know what I’m gonna do without him. | 对啊 要是没有他 我都不知道该怎么办 |
[04:34] | Oh, he’s coming back. Someone change the subject. | 他回来了 我们转移话题吧 |
[04:36] | Uh, Paxton, I heard you got class speaker. That’s dope. | 帕克斯顿 我听说你 是毕业班致辞人 太牛了 |
[04:39] | Oh, yeah. I was really honored that people voted for me. | 对 有人投票支持我 我感到很荣幸 |
[04:42] | No offense, but I don’t get why we vote on who speaks at graduation. | 无意冒犯 但我不明白 为什么要投票选毕业典礼上致辞的人 |
[04:46] | Why don’t we just let the valedictorian talk like at other schools? | 为什么不像别的学校一样 让最优秀毕业生致辞? |
[04:49] | Well, I volley your no offense back to you to say that nerds are boring, | 我也要还你一句“无意冒犯” 我要说呆子都很无聊 |
[04:52] | and popular kids are fun and hilarious. | 受欢迎的同学既好玩 又好笑 |
[04:54] | Word. | 说得好 |
[04:55] | Trent wasn’t wrong. | 特伦特没有错 |
[04:56] | The popular kids had given some memorable speeches. | 受欢迎的孩子们 的确发表过一些令人难忘的演讲 |
[04:59] | Shit. I am so drunk. | 该死 我烂醉如泥 |
[05:01] | I love you guys! | 我爱你们 |
[05:02] | And I just want to say to all you stupid bitches who doubted me, | 我想对所有怀疑我的蠢女人说 |
[05:07] | you’re dead to me. | 对于我来讲 你们跟死了一样 |
[05:09] | Later losers! | 再见了 废物们! |
[05:11] | Well, I’m sure you’re gonna crush it. | 你一定会讲得很精彩的 |
[05:12] | Yeah, I hope so. | 是啊 希望如此 |
[05:14] | Are you talking about your speech? You should do like a sexy dance. | 你是在说你的演讲吗? 你应该跳一段热舞 |
[05:17] | Uh, I don’t think so, Shira. | 这样不好吧?希拉 |
[05:20] | You have to do something hot. ‘Cause that’s like what you’re known for. | 你得做点性感的事情 因为你就是因为性感出名的 |
[05:23] | I’m known for more than that. | 我可不止性感 |
[05:24] | I mean, that is what your senior superlative is. | 在毕业生最亮眼特点中 你的特点就是性感 |
[05:29] | “Paxton Hall-Yoshida. Most likely to succeed at hotness”? | 帕克斯顿·霍尔-吉田 “最有可能因为性感成功”? |
[05:36] | Yeah. | 好吧 |
[05:37] | So, Devi, how was your last day at school? | 德维 这学期最后一天过得如何? |
[05:39] | Did anything interesting happen? | 发生了什么有趣的事吗? |
[05:41] | Mmm, some seniors used some shaving cream to draw genitalia on the school buses. | 有些毕业班的学生用剃须膏 在校车上画生殖器 |
[05:45] | Yeah. Terrible. | 对 糟透了 |
[05:48] | You’re sure shaving cream genitalia | 你确定今天学校里发生的 |
[05:49] | was the most interesting thing that happened today? | 最有趣的事情 就是剃须膏画的生殖器? |
[05:51] | – Mmm. – Honestly, Devi? I want to know about this fancy school you got into. | 老实说吧 德维 我想知道录取你的这所高级学校 |
[05:55] | Principal Grubbs called me. | 格拉布斯校长打给我了 |
[05:57] | You think she goes around telling children about life-changing opportunities | 你觉得她会只把改变人生的机会 告诉孩子们 |
[06:00] | and is like, “Eh, parents don’t need to know”? Get me the brochure. | 觉得“家长不需要知道”吗? 把宣传册给我 |
[06:04] | – It’s not that big of a deal. – It actually is a big deal. | -没什么大不了的 -这其实是件大事 |
[06:06] | Nobody can get into that school. I applied to teach there. Rejected. | 进那所学校难于上青天 我申请去那里教书 但被拒绝了 |
[06:10] | I’m sorry, sweetheart. | 我感到很遗憾 亲爱的 |
[06:11] | It’s for the best. You are too delicate, Manish, to live at high altitude. | 这样是为大家好 你太脆弱了 曼尼什 不能住在高海拔的地方 |
[06:16] | Burn. I thought you liked me now. | 太伤人了 我以为你现在喜欢我了 |
[06:18] | I love you, which is why I worry about how weak you are. | 我爱你 所以我担心你身子太虚弱了 |
[06:21] | Okay, back to Devi. | 好了 话题重新转向德维 |
[06:23] | I think what we’re all trying to say is we’re so impressed you got into Shrubland. | 我想我们都想说 为你能进入灌木丛感到骄傲 |
[06:27] | Half of the Scientific American’s 20 under 20 went there. | 《科学人》选出的20位20岁以下精英 一半都是那儿毕业的 |
[06:30] | So, uh, you would leave a year early to go here? | 所以你会提前一年离开 去这里上学吗? |
[06:34] | If I were going, yeah. But I already made up my mind to turn them down. | 如果我要去的话 没错 但我已经下定决心拒绝他们了 |
[06:37] | Are you sure? This school seems like it could really set you up for success. | 你确定吗?这所学校似乎 能为你的成功人生铺路 |
[06:41] | Mom, if I needed this school to get into Princeton, I would go. But I don’t. | 妈妈 如果我需要这所学校才能上 普林斯顿 那我会去 但我不需要 |
[06:44] | I have sick grades. I’m in a billion extracurriculars, | 我的成绩好得很 我参加的课外活动多得数不过来 |
[06:47] | and I have all of my teachers wrapped around my finger. Right, Mr. K? | 所有老师都喜欢我 对吧 库老师? |
[06:50] | – What? – It’s your choice, Devi. | -什么? -随你怎么选吧 德维 |
[06:52] | You don’t want to go. I’m not gonna push you. | -要是你不想去 我也不会逼你 -真的吗? |
[06:54] | Really? Um, you’re not even going to go visit? | 你不先去看看吗? |
[06:58] | Honestly, I’m not quite ready to send her off yet, either. | 老实说 我也还没做好送她走的准备 |
[07:01] | So, Mami, what customer service representative did you scream at today? | 妈妈 你今天是臭骂了 哪一位客户服务代表呀? |
[07:11] | Hi, I think we’re gonna head out. | 嗨 我想我们要走了 |
[07:13] | Oh, okay. Uh, please thank Manish for introducing us to TikTok pasta chips. | 哦 好吧 拜托帮忙谢谢曼尼什 给我们介绍了抖音上的意面薯片 |
[07:17] | They were very unique. | 非常特别 |
[07:19] | I will. | 我会的 |
[07:22] | So, listen, I don’t wanna interfere, | 听着 我不想多管闲事 |
[07:24] | but I do think that you should reconsider Shrubland. | 但我觉得你们应该重新考虑 灌木丛这个选项 |
[07:27] | I was terrified to leave my home and my family, | 我之前很害怕离开家、离开家人 |
[07:30] | but I’m so thankful that I did | 但我特别感激做了这个决定 |
[07:32] | because CalTech has been this unbelievable opportunity for me. | 因为加州理工大学 是一个无与伦比的机会 |
[07:36] | I never would’ve grown so much if my family hadn’t pushed me to come. | 如果我的家人没有逼我来 那我就无法成长那么多 |
[07:40] | I’m sorry if I’m overstepping. I just had to say it. | 要是我管太多了 那对不起 我只是没办法不说出来 |
[07:43] | Okay. Good night. | 好 晚安 |
[07:44] | Good night, Kamala. | 晚安 卡玛拉 |
[07:46] | I appreciate it. | 谢谢你说出来 |
[07:48] | Of course. | 应该的 |
[07:55] | I want to go back to India. I hate it here. | 我想回印度 我讨厌这里 |
[07:58] | You hate all of America because some moms at Devi’s preschool were rude to you? | 因为德维幼儿园的一些妈妈对你无礼 你就讨厌美国的一切了? |
[08:04] | They weren’t just rude to me, they were cruel. | 她们不仅对我无礼 还很残忍 |
[08:06] | You should have seen their faces when I put my korma down at the potluck. | 你应该看看当我把咖喱炖鸡 带到百家饭上时 她们露出什么表情 |
[08:10] | They treat me like I’m nothing. | 她们都不把我当回事 |
[08:12] | They always act like they can’t understand my accent. | 总是装出听不懂我的口音的样子 |
[08:15] | They talk to me like I’m a child. | 对我说话的时候 把我当孩子一样 |
[08:18] | Am I supposed to endure this until Devi gets to college? | 我要一直忍气吞声 直到德维上大学吗? |
[08:21] | No, and it will get better. | 不 情况会好起来的 |
[08:23] | But the reason we sacrificed so much to come here | 但我们为了来到这里 牺牲了这么多 |
[08:26] | was so that our child | 是为了让我们的孩子 |
[08:27] | would have every opportunity to get the best education. | 抓住所有获得最优教育的机会 |
[08:30] | We can’t let our needs stand in the way of that. | 我们不能因为自己的需求就忘了初衷 |
[08:37] | In the meantime, why don’t we get on the computer | 与此同时 要不我们用电脑 |
[08:40] | and subscribe those ladies to a lot of spam? | 给那些女士订阅一大堆垃圾邮件? |
[08:55] | If they kill off the Indian character, I’m writing to Netflix. | 如果他们杀了那个印度角色 我就写信跟Netflix理论 |
[08:58] | Uh, Pati, | 奶奶 |
[08:59] | I think the whole point of Squid Game is that a lot of people have to die. | 我觉得《鱿鱼游戏》的重点 就是很多人都要死 |
[09:03] | – Devi! – Oh my God! | -德维! -天啊! |
[09:05] | We’re gonna go visit that school in Colorado. | 我们要去科罗拉多看看那所学校 |
[09:07] | I’ve already booked the tickets. There’ll be no discussion. | 我已经订了票 没有商量的余地 |
[09:15] | Yeah, so she’s like demanding I go to this Colorado school | 是的 她要求我去科罗拉多的学校 |
[09:18] | that’s basically where The Shining happened. | 《闪灵》讲的就是那里的故事吧 |
[09:21] | I don’t need to see no creepy twins. | 我不想看到可怕的双胞胎 |
[09:22] | All right, well, it sounds like your mom just wants you to visit the school, Devi. | 好吧 听上去你妈妈 只是想让你去看看学校 |
[09:27] | It’s not like she’s gonna throw you off the train in the Rocky Mountains. | 她不是要在火车开到落基山脉的时候 把你扔下车 |
[09:30] | But it’s still a waste of time. I’m never gonna go there. | 但这是浪费时间 我又不会去那里上学 |
[09:32] | So why do I have to visit? | 那去看学校干什么? |
[09:33] | Because you should give it a chance. | 因为你该给这所学校一次机会 |
[09:35] | You never know. It could be an amazing opportunity. | 可能出乎意料呢? 这可能是个很棒的机会 |
[09:38] | Dr. Ryan, I’ve been planning my senior year since I hit puberty. | 瑞安博士 自从我进入青春期后 我就一直在给毕业年做计划 |
[09:41] | And it has to happen at my normal high school | 这必须发生在我平常的高中 做着平常毕业年做的事情 |
[09:43] | doing normal senior stuff with my mostly normal friends. | 跟我平常的朋友一起 |
[09:47] | Not in the woods with a bunch of randos with visible pit hair. | 不能跟一群不剃腋毛的 乱七八糟的人在树林里 |
[09:50] | Look, I’m not saying that you have to attend. | 听着 我不是说你必须去那里上学 |
[09:53] | I’m just saying it’s important to be open to new experiences. | 我只是说 接受新的体验很重要 |
[09:57] | – Ugh. – Devi, look. When you lock yourself into a dream of what your life should be, | 德维 听着 当你把自己锁在某个梦想里规限了人生的轨迹时 |
[10:03] | you limit yourself. | 这就是画地为牢 |
[10:05] | And I know for a fact, you, Devi, are locked into a very particular dream. | 我很清楚 你 德维 被困在了一个特定的梦里 |
[10:11] | You want to date the hottest guy in school. | 你想和学校里最帅的男人约会 |
[10:13] | You want to be Miss Popularity, and you just got to go to Princeton. | 你想成为人气小姐 你得去上普林斯顿 |
[10:18] | I will not budge on Princeton. | 我不会在普林斯顿这个梦想上让步 |
[10:20] | All I’m saying is maybe you’ve outgrown that dream. | 我只想说 也许你已经长大了 不需要那个梦想了 |
[10:23] | I mean, are you still the same Devi you were freshman year? | 你还是高一时的那个德维吗? |
[10:28] | I’m not. | 不是了 |
[10:29] | You definitely don’t say “word up” as much. | 你绝对没那么常 把“这就对了”挂在嘴边了 |
[10:32] | Come on, Doc. | 拜托 医生 |
[10:33] | Just try to be open. | 试着敞开心扉吧 |
[10:35] | Baby, the world is big. | 宝贝 这个世界很大 |
[10:38] | Sometimes it’s good to surprise yourself. | 有时候 给自己惊喜是件好事 |
[10:46] | Ah. Look, Trent. | 看呀 特伦特 |
[10:47] | Paxton picked up his cap and gown. How about you? Did you go get yours? | 帕克斯顿去拿他的帽子和礼服了 你呢?你去拿了吗? |
[10:51] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心 |
[10:52] | I am worried about it. | 我很担心 |
[10:54] | – You know graduation’s in two days, right? – Totally. | -你知道两天后要举行毕业典礼吧? -知道 |
[10:56] | Babe, I know leaving school is scary, | 宝贝 我知道离开校园很可怕 |
[10:59] | but I just saw that Buca di Beppo is looking for a new pasta associate. | 但我看到布卡迪贝波餐厅 在找新的意面伙伴 |
[11:03] | That could be a really exciting new adventure for you. | 那对你来说 可能是个兴奋的新冒险征程呢 |
[11:06] | – Uh-huh. – Paxton, can you please help? | -嗯 -帕克斯顿 你能帮忙吗? |
[11:08] | If you don’t show up to graduation, I’ll tell Marcus he’s my best friend. | 如果你不参加毕业典礼 我就跟马库斯说他是我的死党 |
[11:11] | I’ll be there, bro. | 我会去的 哥们 |
[11:12] | Great. Now, if you could both take this conversation outside of my garage, | 很好 请你们去我的车库外聊这事吧 |
[11:16] | I gotta finish my speech. | 我得把演讲稿写完 |
[11:17] | How’s that coming? | 写得如何? |
[11:18] | Do you need me to text Devi for help? She loves giving speeches, | 需要我给德维发信息 让她帮忙吗? 她很爱演讲 |
[11:22] | although mostly in the form of apologies. | 虽然大部分是道歉演讲 |
[11:24] | No. For the first time, I think I actually know exactly what I want to say. | 不用了 这是我第一次 觉得知道自己要讲什么 |
[11:38] | ♪ You don’t take it personally… ♪ | (科罗拉多) |
[11:43] | Wow, Devi, look at this place. | 哇 德维 看看这个地方 |
[11:47] | Everyone looks so happy and active. | 每个人看起来都很开心 充满活力 |
[11:50] | Mmm, it’s too outdoorsy. What if a bear attacks me on my way to class? | 太户外了 要是在去上课的路上 有熊袭击我 要怎么办? |
[11:54] | You know I smell delicious because of all the sugar I eat. | 你知道 我吃那么多糖 闻起来会很美味 |
[11:56] | We actually do have a bear family that visit sometimes, | 有时候 确实会有一家子熊 过来探望我们 |
[11:59] | but the only thing they ever attack is our dumpster. | 但它们唯一会袭击的 就是我们的垃圾桶 |
[12:01] | Hi, are you the Vishwakumars? | 嗨 你们是维什瓦库马尔一家吗? |
[12:04] | Yes, hi. This is Devi. I’m her mom, Nalini. | 是的 嗨 这是德维 我是她妈妈娜里妮 |
[12:06] | You must be Mr. Ferris? | 你一定是费里斯老师了? |
[12:08] | Oh no, call me Leo. | 别 叫我里奥就行 |
[12:09] | At Shrublands, students refer to teachers by their first names. | 在灌木丛 学生会直呼老师的名字 |
[12:12] | See, Devi? You love disrespectful nonsense like this. | 看到了吗 德维? 你很爱这种没礼貌的胡闹 |
[12:15] | We think it’s important to empower young adults | 我们认为赋予年轻人权利很重要 |
[12:18] | to see themselves as intellectual equals with teachers. | 要让他们认为自己 跟老师们在智力上是平等的 |
[12:20] | Sure, until you have to tuck ’em in for lights out at, like, what, 8:00 p.m.? | 是啊 直到你晚上8点就关灯 让他们上床睡觉吗? |
[12:23] | Oh no, we have flexible curfews. | 哦 不啊 我们的宵禁时间很灵活 |
[12:25] | A lot of the study groups for the college-level courses | 很多大学水平课程的学习小组 |
[12:28] | meet in the library pretty late. | 要在图书馆里学习到很晚 |
[12:30] | College-level courses? Whoa. | 大学水平课程?哇 |
[12:32] | Let me give you a tour, | 让我带你们参观一圈 |
[12:33] | and then, Devi, I’d love for you to sit in on my next class, | 德维 我希望你能旁听我的下一堂课 |
[12:37] | Comparative Literature and Cultural Theory. | 对比文学和文化理论 |
[12:38] | Oh. What an impressive long name. | 好气派的名字啊 |
[12:53] | – Hey. – Hey. | -嘿 -嘿 |
[12:55] | Did you accidentally leave your art stuff behind too? | 你是不是也把美术课的东西落下了? |
[12:57] | No, I didn’t forget. | 我没忘 |
[12:59] | I just couldn’t fit it in the basket of my bicycle, | 就是自行车的篮子放不下这么多东西 |
[13:01] | so my dad drove me here to pick everything up. | 所以我爸爸开车送我来 载走所有东西 |
[13:03] | Wait, wait, wait. Hold up. | 等等 |
[13:04] | You ride to school on a bicycle with a little basket on it? | 你是骑着有篮子的自行车上学吗? |
[13:07] | Yeah, what about it? | 是啊 那又怎么样? |
[13:09] | You just seem like you’d get dropped off on a Harley by some tatted-up boyfriend. | 你长得像那种会被有纹身的男友 骑着哈雷摩托车送到学校的人 |
[13:13] | Nope. No Harley, no boyfriend. | 不 没有哈雷 也没有男朋友 |
[13:17] | Hmm. So, you’re not like punk rock at all? | 所以你完全不走朋克摇滚风? |
[13:21] | Uh, you want to know what my summer job is? | 你想知道我暑假的工作是什么吗? |
[13:23] | – Mmm. – I’m working at Build-A-Bear in the mall. | 我在商场的熊熊工作室工作 |
[13:26] | What? | 什么? |
[13:27] | We’re open seven days a week. | 我们一周营业七天 |
[13:29] | I wear a tiny apron and tell kids that a synthetic lump of stuffing loves them. | 我穿着小围裙 告诉孩子们 一个合成纤维的填充玩具爱他们 |
[13:32] | – You should come by. – Yeah. I want to see that. I’m there. | -你应该来 -对 我想见识一下 我会去的 |
[13:35] | It’s a date. I mean, it doesn’t have to be, like, a “date” date. Sorry… | 那就约好了 不必是“约会”的那种约 对不起… |
[13:39] | – Uh… – I’d go on a date. | 我想跟你约会 |
[13:42] | Oh. | 噢 |
[13:44] | Okay. Cool. | 好啊 挺好的 |
[13:47] | Then we’ll go on a date. | 那我们就约会吧 |
[13:49] | Cool. | 很好 |
[13:51] | Oh, well, as fun as it is silently staring at each other, | 好吧 虽然默默地盯着对方很好玩 |
[13:56] | I’ve, uh, got to get back to the car. My dad overheats easily. | 但我得回到车上了 我爸爸脾气暴躁 |
[14:00] | Great. Okay. | 很好 行啊 |
[14:03] | Well, I’ll call you. | 那等我给你打电话 |
[14:13] | You guys, we have a visitor with us today. | 各位 今天我们有客人 |
[14:15] | Everyone, say hey to Devi. She might be joining us next year. | 大家跟德维打个招呼吧 她明年可能会加入我们 |
[14:18] | Hi, everyone. Your school is so beautiful and smells amazing. | 大家好 你们的学校好漂亮 闻起来也很香 |
[14:22] | Way better than our Glade plugins. | 比我们的格雷德空气清新剂好多了 |
[14:24] | Thank you, Devi. | 谢谢你 德维 |
[14:25] | All right, everyone, I hope you all had a chance to finish Ficciones last night. | 好了 各位 希望你们昨晚 有机会把《虚构集》读完了 |
[14:29] | – Yep. – Oh, yeah. | -对 -是的 |
[14:30] | Okay, so let’s do what we do. | 好吧 那就干正事吧 |
[14:33] | I thought it was so interesting how a lot of his narrators had his own name. | 有很多旁白都用他的名字 我觉得这点很有趣 |
[14:37] | Yeah, I noticed that too. It’s like, they’re not him, but they are him. | 对 我也注意到了 感觉他们好像不是他 但就是他 |
[14:41] | Yeah, that’s exactly right. Like… | 是的 完全正确 就是… |
[14:43] | Devi had never been in a class like this before, | 德维以前从来没上过这种课 |
[14:45] | and not because everyone was sitting on the ground | 不是因为大家都坐在地上 |
[14:48] | and talking without raising their hand. | 不用举手就能发言 |
[14:50] | It was that everyone had actually done their homework | 而是因为每个人都完成了作业 |
[14:52] | and cared about learning something. | 也都在乎要学到东西 |
[14:54] | Also, did you notice the labyrinth motif kept coming up? | 还有你们注意到 迷宫的主题一直出现吗? |
[14:58] | That really felt like a commentary on free will. | 我感觉那真的是对自由意志的评论 |
[15:01] | What do labyrinths make you think of, Devi? | 德维 迷宫会让你想到什么? |
[15:04] | Oh, um, I actually haven’t read the book. Sorry. | 噢 我还没看过那本书 抱歉 |
[15:08] | Oh, don’t be sorry. I know you haven’t read it. | 别感到抱歉 我知道你没有读过 |
[15:10] | I’m just trying to pick your brain. | 我只是想听听你的想法 |
[15:11] | Mazes, labyrinths. What do they signify to you? | 迷宫对你来说意味着什么? |
[15:16] | Oh. Uh… | 噢 |
[15:19] | That there’s no one straight path in life? | 人生没有直路可走? |
[15:21] | That we have choices and some can lead us to dead ends, | 我们有选择 一些选择可能会通向死胡同 |
[15:26] | but others can take us to places we never thought we’d go. | 但另外的选择 可能会把我们引向意想不到的地方 |
[15:32] | Wow. I love it. Thank you, Devi. | 哇 我喜欢 谢谢你 德维 |
[15:34] | Okay. | 好 |
[15:41] | And, like, you can talk and express yourself, | 而且你可以侃侃而谈 表达自己的意见 |
[15:43] | and it’s cool to be smart. | 当个聪明人很酷 |
[15:45] | As it should be. | 本来就应该这样 |
[15:46] | And there’s no UN or Hot Pocket. | 也没有扫性学究团 也没有帅哥角 |
[15:49] | Everyone’s kind of a nerd. | 每个人都是书呆子 |
[15:50] | I think I actually might fit in. | 我觉得我可能可以融入其中 |
[15:53] | Do either of you want to switch seats with me | 你们有人想跟我交换位置吗? |
[15:55] | since you’re talking to each other so much? | 因为你们不停跟对方说话 |
[15:58] | – No, no. We don’t like the middle seat. – Mm-mm. | 不用了 我们不喜欢中间的位置 |
[16:00] | Okay, and then? | 好 然后呢? |
[16:02] | Mom, I think I want to go. | 妈妈 我想去这里上学 |
[16:05] | – You do? – Mm-hmm. | 是吗? |
[16:10] | – Do you want the popcorn? – Yeah, yeah, yeah. Ooh. | -你想吃爆米花吗? -好啊 |
[16:12] | – I got, uh, smoked almonds. Do ya… – Yeah. | -我这儿有烟熏杏仁 -好啊 吃花生吗? |
[16:18] | But I thought you said you didn’t want to go! | 但我以为你说你不想去! |
[16:20] | I know, but once I got there, I liked it. | 我知道 但我到了那里之后 发现自己很喜欢 |
[16:23] | The competitive part of me really kicked in. | 好胜的那部分自己占了上风 |
[16:25] | But what about the horny part of you? | 那淫荡的那部分你呢? |
[16:26] | Remember, there are no sexual prospects there | 记住 那边没有发生性关系的可能 |
[16:29] | because they’re all crunchy uggos. | 因为他们都是反主流的丑八怪 |
[16:31] | Well, then I guess I’ll have to be cool being the sad sack | 好吧 那我猜我得接受 当一个没用的东西 |
[16:34] | who goes to college as a virgin. | 带着处女之身去上大学 |
[16:35] | But, hey, maybe I’ll lose it to a sexy professor | 但也许我会把第一次 献给一个性感的教授 |
[16:38] | that’ll educate me in more ways than one. | 他能在多方面教育我 |
[16:40] | All right, it’s hard to argue with that fantasy. | 好吧 既然你有那个幻想 我们也没办法争辩了 |
[16:43] | Guys, I know this screws up our plans for senior year, but I’ll be back. | 朋友们 我知道这会毁了 我们毕业班的计划 但我会回来的 |
[16:48] | I mean, you both already have so many cool things going on anyway. | 我是说 你们俩已经过得多姿多彩了 |
[16:52] | Eleanor, you have your fancy Hollywood agent and Trent. | 埃莉诺 你有高大上的 好莱坞经纪人和特伦特 |
[16:55] | And, Fabiola, you’re with Addison now. | 法比奥拉 你现在和艾迪森在一起了 |
[16:59] | You guys won’t notice that I’m gone. | 你们不会注意到我不在了 |
[17:01] | Not true. But regardless, you don’t leave until the fall. | 不是真的 但不管怎样 你要等到秋天才走呢 |
[17:03] | We still have the summer. | 我们还可以一起过夏天 |
[17:04] | We don’t need to be sad about it right now. | 我们不必现在就悲伤 |
[17:07] | – Oh. We should sit down. – Yep. | -噢 我们该坐下了 -好 |
[17:14] | Trent, what are you doing? Get up there with your class. | 特伦特 你在做什么? 上去和同届同学集合吧 |
[17:17] | They’re not my class. | 我和他们不是一届的 |
[17:19] | Yes, they are. Go! | 是的 去啊! |
[17:20] | No, they’re not. | 不 他们不是 |
[17:22] | Eleanor, I failed. | 埃莉诺 我没考及格 |
[17:24] | I failed senior year, and now I have to repeat it. | 我的毕业班成绩不及格 所以现在我得复读了 |
[17:27] | You failed? | 你没及格? |
[17:28] | I’m so embarrassed. | 我好丢人啊 |
[17:30] | I didn’t want to tell you | 我不想告诉你 |
[17:31] | ’cause I couldn’t bear to see the disappointment in your face. | 因为我不想看到你脸上失望的表情 |
[17:35] | I’m not disappointed. I’m thrilled. | 我不失望 我很兴奋 |
[17:38] | We get to be together for another year. Thank God you’re so terrible at school. | 我们可以再在一起度过一年 我要感谢上帝让你当个差生 |
[17:51] | Thank you, Mr. Wadsworth, | 谢谢你 瓦兹沃斯先生 |
[17:53] | for that riveting discussion on men’s rights. | 你给了一番扣人心弦的 关于男性权利的讨论 |
[17:55] | Shawna, next year I’m gonna need to see the alumni speech ahead of time, okay? All right. | 肖娜 明年我得让你 提前读一遍校友演讲 好吗? |
[18:00] | Alrighty, class of 2022. | 好了 2022届的同学们 |
[18:03] | Ah. I think you’re gonna be very excited about our next speaker | 我觉得你们会为下一位讲者感到兴奋 |
[18:06] | because you voted for him. | 因为你们投票选了他来演讲 |
[18:08] | So please welcome Mr. Paxton Hall-Yoshida. | 所以请大家欢迎 帕克斯顿·霍尔-吉田先生 |
[18:15] | That’s my best friend! | 那是我最好的朋友! |
[18:19] | – Hi. – I’m in love with you! | -嗨 -我爱上你了! |
[18:21] | Thank you. So, listen, I know you’re all expecting me to, like, | 谢谢 听着 我知道你们都期望我 |
[18:26] | take a shot on stage or do a sexy dance or whatever. | 在舞台上喝一杯酒 或跳一支热舞什么的 |
[18:34] | But I’m not gonna do that. | 我不会那么做的 |
[18:36] | Instead, I’m gonna talk about hard work. | 我倒是要讨论一下勤学苦练 |
[18:39] | – Boo! – Trent. Come on, man. | -嘘! -特伦特 拜托 兄弟 |
[18:41] | Sorry. Reflex. I love you, bro. | 抱歉 那是本能反应 我爱你 兄弟 |
[18:49] | For the longest time, I never really had to work that hard. | 很长一段时间以来 我一直没有这么努力过 |
[18:53] | And honestly, things came really easily for me | 老实说 很多东西对我来说 都是触手可及的 |
[18:56] | because I was dope at swimming, and according to the yearbook, | 因为我游泳很厉害 而且根据学校年鉴 |
[18:59] | I’m kind of pretty. | 我长得挺帅的 |
[19:05] | But then someone showed me how to push myself. | 但后来有人给我展示了 如何逼自己一把 |
[19:09] | Whoa. He’s talking about you, Devi. That’s kind of romantic, right? | 哇 他说的是你呀 德维 挺浪漫的吧? |
[19:14] | And that person made me try things that I was bad at. | 那个人让我尝试我不擅长的事 |
[19:17] | Like studying. And it sucked so bad. | 比如学习 这种感觉糟糕透了 |
[19:22] | But I am so grateful. | 但我很感激 |
[19:25] | Because now I know that I’m more than just the hot guy or the popular guy. | 因为现在我知道 我不仅仅是一个徒有外表的花瓶 |
[19:31] | I’m actually a really nice guy and a sort of smart guy. | 我其实是个很善良的人 也算聪明 |
[19:36] | My advice to you is to push yourself out there, | 我给你们的建议就是 要逼自己一把 |
[19:39] | defy other people’s expectations of you, | 反抗别人对你的期待 |
[19:42] | and don’t ever let a label define you. | 不要让自己被任何标签定义 |
[19:46] | And with that, I would like to hand the mic over to someone who | 既然说到这里 我想把麦克风交给 |
[19:50] | actually really earned the right to speak, our valedictorian Brenda Kang. | 一个通过努力获得真正发言权的人 就是最优秀毕业生布兰达·康 |
[19:59] | Hold up. Devi, why isn’t your stomach in knots? | 等等 德维 你的胃怎么没有揪得紧紧的? |
[20:03] | Paxton H-Y basically gave a speech about you to the entire school. | 帕克斯顿·霍-吉算是 对全校做了一番关于你的演讲 |
[20:08] | Do you feel okay? | 你感觉还好吗? |
[20:09] | Are you drunk? | 你醉了吗? |
[20:11] | Oh my God. I am so happy Trent has to stay back. | 天啊 特伦特留级这事把我高兴坏了 |
[20:16] | I don’t think I could handle losing the both of you | 德维 你现在要去科罗拉多州了 |
[20:18] | now that you’re going to Colorado, Devi. | 我应该承受不了失去你们两个 |
[20:20] | You’re going? | 你要去吗? |
[20:22] | Hey, uh, yeah. I just decided. | 嘿 是的 我决定了 |
[20:26] | Okay. | 好 |
[20:28] | We’ll call you later. | 我们晚点再打给你 |
[20:30] | O-Okay. | 好 |
[20:32] | Then I guess I should congratulate you. | 我想我应该恭喜你 |
[20:34] | Mmm. And I, you. | 我也该恭喜你 |
[20:36] | Now the school’s all yours. Enjoy your reign of terror. | 现在学校归你了 享受你的恐怖统治吧 |
[20:38] | Yeah, right. | 是啊 |
[20:41] | It’s just that, uh, I don’t want you to go, David. | 只是我不想让你去 大卫 |
[20:46] | Sure. Sure, sure, sure. | 行啊 |
[20:47] | ‘Cause you need my annoying personality to fuel your competitive drive. | 因为你需要我烦人的个性 来激起你的竞争劲头 |
[20:50] | I don’t think your personality is annoying. | 我不觉得你的个性很烦人 |
[20:52] | Hey, I… I like your personality. | 嘿 我喜欢你的个性 |
[20:55] | – You call me annoying twice a day. – Yeah, as a joke. | -你每天都要说两次我烦人 -是 只是开玩笑 |
[20:57] | Okay, then why don’t you want me to go? | 好吧 那你为什么不想让我去? |
[21:02] | Because… | 因为… |
[21:04] | I’ll miss you. | 我会想念你的 |
[21:07] | A lot. | 很想念 |
[21:09] | Wait, there’s the stomach knots. | 等等 她的胃现在倒是揪成一团了 |
[21:17] | Lil’ D! | 小德! |
[21:19] | Medium B! | 中本! |
[21:23] | Wow, you did so good up there. | 哇 你在台上的演讲精彩极了 |
[21:24] | And you made Trent cry. So mission accomplished. | 你还让特伦特哭了 任务完成了 |
[21:27] | Yeah, excellent work, bro. | 是啊 好样的 兄弟 |
[21:29] | Thanks, guys. | 谢谢你们 |
[21:30] | There were a few girls in the front row who seemed genuinely pissed | 前排有几个女生好像很生气 |
[21:33] | I didn’t do a sexy dance, | 因为我没有跳热舞 |
[21:34] | but otherwise, I felt good. | 除此之外 我感觉还挺好的 |
[21:36] | Nice. | 很好 |
[21:38] | Okay, uh, I got to run, but, uh, congrats, Paxton. | 好 我得走了 但恭喜你啊 帕克斯顿 |
[21:41] | Thanks, man. | 谢谢你 哥们 |
[21:48] | So, did you hear my shoutout to you? | 所以你听到我向你公开致意了吗? |
[21:51] | I did. Thank you for that. | 听到了 谢谢你 |
[21:53] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[21:54] | Well, I owe you a lot, Devi. | 我欠你很多 德维 |
[21:57] | I know we’ve had some ups and downs, | 我知道我们经历了起起落落 |
[21:59] | but I probably wouldn’t be going to college if it weren’t for you. | 但要是没有你 我应该上不了大学 |
[22:04] | Well, I actually have a lot to thank you for too. | 其实我也有很多方面要感谢你 |
[22:08] | This is a weird thing to say, and I don’t want to creep you out, | 这话很奇怪 我也不想把你吓到 |
[22:14] | but… | 但是… |
[22:17] | …you kind of got me through the death of my dad. | 但你帮我渡过了丧父之痛 |
[22:21] | I did? How? | 是吗?我是怎么做到的? |
[22:25] | By being a dream. | 通过成为我的梦想 |
[22:30] | Well, hey, you should come visit me in Arizona some time. | 对了 你应该找时间 来亚利桑那州探望我 |
[22:33] | I’ll let you do some of my college-level homework. | 我会让你做一些大学水平的功课 |
[22:35] | – Yeah. Ow! Okay. – Ah. Seriously? | -对 好痛啊! -真的吗? |
[22:37] | Paxton! | 帕克斯顿! |
[22:38] | Dad! | 爸爸! |
[22:40] | – I’ll see ya. – Oh! | -回头见 -哦! |
[22:43] | Oh. | 噢 |
[22:45] | Your dad’s been crying since the moment you got on the stage. | 自从你上台后 你爸爸就哭个不停 |
[22:48] | I’m just so proud of you. | 我真为你骄傲 |
[22:50] | You were amazing. | 你太棒了 |
[22:53] | – Thanks, Dad. – Okay, my turn. | -谢谢爸爸 -好 轮到我了 |
[22:59] | As Devi walked home, | 德维走回家时 |
[23:00] | she realized that she had spent so much of her young life | 她意识到她将青春的很大一部分时间 |
[23:03] | obsessed with the future. | 都花在了对未来的执着上 |
[23:05] | A future where she would finally fit in. | 总算有了她容身之处的未来 |
[23:09] | But if today taught her anything, it was that she already fit in. | 但如果今天教会她了什么 就是她已经融入进去了 |
[23:12] | And as her father proved, there are no guarantees in this life. | 正如她父亲证明的那样 这辈子没有任何必定会发生的事 |
[23:17] | Suddenly, she felt like the present was a very precious thing, | 突然间 她觉得当下非常珍贵 |
[23:21] | and she did not want to waste it. | 她不想浪费 |
[23:37] | Mom. | 妈妈 |
[23:40] | Devi? Are you okay? | 德维?你没事吧? |
[23:42] | I don’t want to go. | 我不想去 |
[23:44] | Uh, you don’t want to go where? | 你不想去哪里? |
[23:46] | To the Shrubland School. | 去灌木丛学校 |
[23:48] | Of course you’re going. We decided. | 你当然要去 我们已经决定了 |
[23:52] | No, I don’t want to leave you yet. | 不 我还不想离开你 |
[23:57] | Devi, you have to. | 德维 你必须要这样做 |
[23:59] | It’s for your future. It’s what your father would have wanted. | 这是为了你的未来 也是你父亲想要的 |
[24:02] | But I have memories of Dad too, | 但我也有关于爸爸的回忆 |
[24:05] | and he would want us to be together. | 他会希望我们在一起 |
[24:08] | I just… I need one more year with you. | 我只是…我还需要跟你多待一年 |
[24:13] | We don’t know what’s gonna happen. | 我们无法预料接下来会发生什么 |
[24:15] | Okay? Look at Dad. | 好吗?你看看爸爸 |
[24:17] | I just… I need more time with you. | 我只是…我需要跟你多待一些时间 |
[24:22] | Is that okay? | 可以吗? |
[24:28] | Yeah. It’s okay, kanna. | 好 可以的 宝贝 |
[24:40] | But only one more year. | 但只能多待一年 |
[24:41] | You can’t be like Carol’s son from down the street | 你不能像住在街那头的 卡萝的儿子一样 |
[24:43] | who’s still living with his mother at 50. | 50岁了还跟妈妈住在一起 |
[24:49] | Devi had listened to Dr. Ryan’s advice. | 德维听了瑞安博士的建议 |
[24:52] | She’d been open, | 她抱着开放的心态 |
[24:53] | and even though she was staying in Sherman Oaks for senior year, | 虽然她高中最后一年 将在舍曼奥克斯度过 |
[24:57] | her dream had evolved. | 但她的梦想已经进化了 |
[25:03] | OMG! That sext was meant for Addison. I’m so sorry! | 天啊!这条色情短信 是要发给艾迪森的 对不起! |
[25:14] | But there was maybe one part of the old dream | 但也许旧的梦想中有一部分 |
[25:17] | that still interested her, | 依然能激起她的兴趣 |
[25:19] | and per Dr. Ryan, she was about to surprise herself. | 根据瑞安博士的说法 她准备好给自己惊喜了 |
[25:31] | Hi. Patty let me in. | 你好 帕蒂让我进来了 |
[25:33] | Okay. What can I help you with? | 好 有何贵干? |