时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | [electro music playing] | |
[00:11] | [Devi screaming] | |
[00:13] | [McEnroe] For those of you with short-term memory loss, | 为了照顾那些短暂失忆的人 我们来回顾一下前面的剧情 |
[00:15] | Devi had just gotten into zero, that’s right, zero colleges. | 没有一所大学 没错 没有一所大学录取德维 |
[00:20] | The shit had hit the fan and was now all over the room. | 大事不妙 而且事情变得不可收拾了 |
[00:23] | What was that scream? Did another possum come through the vents? | 干什么喊那么大声? 又有负鼠从通风孔钻出来了? |
[00:26] | Oh, wait. | 噢 等等 |
[00:28] | -Did you hear back from colleges? -Ye… Yeah. | -大学录取的结果出来了? -是的 |
[00:32] | Okay, well, don’t leave me in suspense. | 好 别吊我胃口了 快告诉我吧 |
[00:34] | [McEnroe] How could Devi tell her mom that she’d gotten in nowhere? | 德维要怎么告诉她妈妈 一所录取她的学校都没有? |
[00:37] | That she’d completely nuked her own future? | 怎么告诉她妈妈 她彻底毁了她自己的未来? |
[00:39] | That her mother’s only child was a capital-F failure? | 怎么告诉她妈妈 她妈妈唯一的孩子是个大废柴? |
[00:43] | Kanna, come on. Where did you get in? | 宝贝 快说啊 哪所学校录取了你? |
[00:46] | Everywhere. | 全都录取了我 |
[00:47] | [McEnroe] The answer is she wouldn’t. | 答案是 她是不会告诉她的 |
[00:49] | Oh my God! | 噢 天啊! |
[00:51] | That’s incredible! [“Two Cents” by Lady Kash playing] ♪ Yenna paarve? ♪ | 那太棒了! |
[00:57] | ♪ I said whatchu lookin’ at, boy? ♪ ♪ Ada yenna paarve? ♪ ♪ Whatchu call dat? ♪ | 好想做一次…参加舞会 |
[01:02] | Hi, Akshara, it’s Devi Vishwakumar. | 阿克莎拉 我是德维·维什瓦库马尔 |
[01:04] | I don’t know if you saw, but I somehow was accidentally placed on the wait-list. | 我不知道你看到没 可不知怎么地 我被人不小心放进了候补名单 |
[01:08] | Or maybe it was a prank, | 也有可能那是个恶作剧 |
[01:09] | in which case I get it, and I think it’s funny, not cruel. | 要是那样的话我就能理解了 而且我觉得这很有趣 一点也不伤人 |
[01:13] | Please call me back. | 请给我回电 |
[01:14] | [McEnroe] Devi’s head was like a shanked serve, | 德维的头就像 打中球拍边框的网球发球 |
[01:16] | spinning hopelessly out of control. | 正在不可救药地失控旋转 |
[01:19] | Devi Delishwakumar, you saucy little genius! | 德维·维什瓦库马尔 你这小天才! |
[01:23] | Congratulations! | -恭喜你! |
[01:24] | -What? -[Fabiola] You got into every single Ivy? | -什么? 你被全部藤校录取了? |
[01:26] | Your mom called my mom. That’s unbelievable. | 你妈打电话告诉我妈了 这太令人难以置信了 |
[01:29] | [McEnroe] Oh God, the lie was spreading. | 噢 天啊 那个谎言传出去了 |
[01:31] | But also, the truth was too painful to say. | 但同时 真相又太令人痛苦了 她说不出口 |
[01:33] | You guys, look at us. | 两位 看看我们 |
[01:35] | Eleanor is basically seconds away from being a Hollywood star, | 埃莉诺距离成为好莱坞明星 就一步之遥 |
[01:38] | and Devi and I are gonna be roomies at Princeton. | 而我和德维就要在普林斯顿做室友了 |
[01:41] | -You still wanna go to Princeton, right? -Yeah, I do. | -你还想去普林斯顿 对吧? -对 我想 |
[01:44] | I do wanna go to Princeton. | 我的确想去普林斯顿 |
[01:46] | I mean, we’ve all basically turned into the people we wanted to be freshman year, | 我的意思是 我们基本都成为了 我们读高一的时候想成为的人 |
[01:52] | and now tonight, we get to celebrate at our freakin’ senior prom. | 而今晚 我们可以 在他妈的毕业舞会上好好庆祝一下了 |
[01:55] | How perfect is that? | 这简直太完美了 |
[01:56] | [McEnroe] Oh right, prom. | 噢 对哦 毕业舞会 |
[01:59] | Devi had looked forward to this night her entire high school career, | 德维整个高中生涯都在期待这一晚 |
[02:02] | but in typical Devi fashion, had created too big of a mess to enjoy it. | 可一如德维的经典作风 她惹出了太大的麻烦 |
[02:07] | Right, that is perfect. | 没办法在这一晚尽情玩耍了 没错 那是很完美 |
[02:10] | Anyway, I gotta run and talk to Ms. Warner. | 好了 我得走了 我要去找华纳女士谈谈 |
[02:12] | But def can’t wait for tonight. | 不过我很期待今晚的舞会 |
[02:14] | Agh! Actually, I gotta jet too. | 事实上 我也要走了 |
[02:15] | I’m showing Gears at the National High School Tech Fair, | 我要拿吉尔斯 到全美高中科技展上展出 |
[02:18] | and I gotta debug him. | 我还得调试它 |
[02:19] | He downloaded a CrossFit video, | 它下载了一段混合健身的视频 |
[02:21] | and now likes to guess people’s BMIs out loud. | 然后现在喜欢 猜别人的体重指数 |
[02:23] | And I also have a lot of really exciting things going on for me, | 还大声说出来 我也有很多令我很兴奋的事要做 |
[02:27] | so I have to get to all of those. | 所以我得去做那些事 |
[02:30] | See you gals tonight! | 我们今晚见咯! |
[02:33] | Hi, Ms. Warner. Wanna talk to me? | 嗨 华纳女士 你想和我谈谈吗? |
[02:35] | Well, I never want to talk to anyone, but I need to talk to you, young man. | 我从来都不想和任何人谈 但我得和你谈谈 年轻人 |
[02:39] | Apparently, you’ve been skipping classes, | 过去几周你似乎总是翘课 |
[02:41] | and you haven’t turned in any homework in the last few weeks. | 而且一次作业都没交过 |
[02:44] | Now what the hell is going on? | 这到底是怎么回事? |
[02:45] | I figured since I got into Columbia early, | 我想着既然我都提前被哥大录取了 |
[02:47] | I could take my brand-new Jordans off the gas pedal. | 我穿着崭新AJ的脚 |
[02:49] | [laughs sarcastically] | 就可以松开油门 不用那么努力了 |
[02:51] | Well, then allow me to put my worn-out Skechers up your backside, | 那就让我用穿着破旧斯凯奇的脚 踢你一下 给你提个醒 |
[02:55] | because if you keep this up, you will fail your classes, | 因为如果你再这样下去 你会挂科的 |
[02:57] | and Columbia will rescind its acceptance. | 然后哥大就会取消你的录取资格 |
[03:00] | But Trent said that was a myth. | 可特伦特说那纯属空穴来风 |
[03:02] | Trent Harrison? | 特伦特·哈里森? |
[03:03] | The thirteenth grader who routinely hangs his backpack on the fire alarm? | 那个经常把书包 挂在火灾警报器上的复读生? |
[03:07] | That is who you’re taking academic advice from? | 你听信他给的学业方面的建议? |
[03:09] | Oh my God. Oh my God, I have so much work to do. | 噢 |
[03:13] | [frantic music playing] [school bell ringing] | 我的天啊 我有好多作业要做 |
[03:20] | Hey. What are you doing here? | 嘿 你怎么到这儿来了? |
[03:22] | Oh, just checking in on my friends. | 噢 我只是来看看我的朋友 |
[03:24] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧?你看起来很伤心 |
[03:26] | You seem sad. | |
[03:27] | And in a real way, not in a “practicing crying on command” way. | 而且是真的伤心 不是“练习说哭就哭”的那种伤心 |
[03:30] | Yeah, well, I saw my mom the other day. | 没错 前几天我见到我妈妈了 |
[03:33] | Whoa, you saw your mom? | 哇 你见到你妈了? |
[03:35] | Did you give her a knuckle sando or what? | 你有没有对着她的嘴来一拳之类的? |
[03:37] | No, I’m not angry anymore. | 没有 我不再生她的气了 |
[03:40] | I just kind of feel sorry for her. | 我只是有点为她感到难过 |
[03:42] | I mean, she sacrificed her whole life for a career that’s just not gonna happen. | 我是说 她为了一项不会成功的事业 牺牲了她的一生 |
[03:48] | And I’m worried the same thing’s gonna happen to me. | 我担心同样的事情也会发生在我身上 |
[03:51] | Are you yanking my nuts right now? Of course you’re gonna make it. | 你在跟我开玩笑吗?你当然会成功了 |
[03:53] | You’re the most talented person in the whole flat world. | 你是这个世界上最有才的人 |
[03:56] | Do you know how many really talented out-of-work actors there are in LA? | 你知道洛杉矶有多少真正有才 但没戏可演的演员吗? |
[04:01] | And everyone’s just crossing their fingers that some director chooses them. | 而且所有人都在祈祷有导演相中自己 |
[04:05] | So then you should become the director. | 那你该去当导演 |
[04:07] | Pfft! | 等等 |
[04:08] | [gasps] Wait, that’s actually not a bad idea. | 这其实不失为一个好主意 |
[04:12] | Like, I could learn how to direct | 我可以去学怎么当导演 |
[04:14] | and make my own projects to act in, | 然后自导自演 |
[04:17] | like Greta Gerwig, or several problematic male directors. | 像格蕾塔·葛韦格 或者几个有问题的男导演那样 |
[04:21] | Well, actually, I meant you could bonk a director in the head, | 其实我的意思是 你可以给某个导演来个迎头一击 |
[04:23] | drag them into a closet, steal their clothes, | 把他拖进壁橱里 偷走他的衣服 |
[04:26] | then pretend to be them long enough to give yourself the part. | 然后装成他的样子 直到你给你自己弄到了一个角色 |
[04:29] | But your idea is good too. | 可你的那个主意也很棒 |
[04:33] | Well, listen, El-Bell, I gotta get to class. | 听着 小埃埃 我得去上课了 |
[04:35] | I don’t wanna be a third-year senior. | 我不想再复读第三年 |
[04:37] | But I’m not worried about you. | 但我不担心你 |
[04:40] | I stand by what I told you before. | 我还是之前那句话 |
[04:42] | You’re a shooting star. | 你是一颗流星 |
[04:44] | [“Air I Breathe” by Sophie Blair playing] | |
[04:48] | ♪ And I’ll say it right ♪ | |
[04:50] | ♪ I might this time ♪ | |
[04:51] | Ms. Warner, do you know happen to know if there’s a college | 华纳女士 有没有哪所大学 |
[04:53] | that does same-day acceptance, preferably one that’s very prestigious? | 是当天申请当天就录取的? 最好是名校 |
[04:56] | Oh no. I take it you stuck to the “no safety school” plan? | 噢 不 看来你还是坚持了 “无保底学校”的方案? |
[04:59] | Why did you let me do that? You should’ve slapped some sense into me. | 你为什么让我那样做? 你该扇我几个耳光 让我理智点的 |
[05:02] | Oh, believe me, I wanted to. | 噢 相信我 我很想那样做的 |
[05:04] | I’m sorry, Devi. Were there at least any wait-lists? | 我为你感到难过 德维 至少有学校让你候补吧? |
[05:08] | Only Princeton. | 只有普林斯顿 |
[05:09] | I’m such an idiot. | 我真是个大笨蛋 |
[05:10] | Why did I think I could get into those schools? | 我为什么就认为我能进那些学校呢? |
[05:12] | Because you should have. You’re an excellent student. | 那是因为你该进的 你是个很优秀的学生 |
[05:15] | But those schools have tens of thousands of applications from excellent students. | 可那些学校收到了 成千上万份优秀学生提交的申请 |
[05:20] | So, what do I do now? | 那我现在该怎么办? |
[05:21] | Well, you still have that wait-list spot. | 你还有那个候补的位置 |
[05:24] | You could get in. | 你有可能会被录取的 |
[05:25] | But what if I don’t get in? | 可要是我没被录取呢? |
[05:27] | Then you’ll just apply again next fall. It isn’t the end of the world. | 那你就等明年秋季再申请一次 这又不是世界末日 |
[05:32] | Yes, it is, Ms. Warner. | 不 |
[05:34] | It… really is. | 华纳女士 |
[05:36] | [upbeat music playing] | 这就是世界末日 |
[05:38] | -[inaudible conversation] -[robot beeping] [electronic whine] | (全美高中科技展) |
[05:45] | Fab, we scoped out the other booths, and they’ve got nothing on you and Gears. | 法比 我们去看过其他展位了 他们跟你和吉尔斯根本没得比 |
[05:49] | Really? Oh my God. | 真的?噢 天啊 |
[05:50] | You guys, is that Dr. Leela Tye? Is she one of the judges here? | 各位 那是利拉·泰伊博士吗? 她是这次科技展的评委之一吗? |
[05:54] | Who is Leela Tye? | 利拉·泰伊是谁? |
[05:55] | She’s the head of Robotics at Howard and a certified badass. | 霍华德大学机器人技术专业的主任 她是真正的牛人 |
[05:58] | Oh God, she’s coming here. | 噢 天啊 她往这边过来了 |
[06:01] | -Hi. I’m… -[Fabiola] Dr. Tye. | -嗨 我是… -泰伊博士 |
[06:03] | I know. I’m Fabiola Torres, and this is my robot, Gears Brosnan. | 我知道 我是法比奥拉·托雷斯 这是我做的机器人吉尔斯·布鲁斯南 |
[06:07] | Great name. Tell me a little bit about Gears. | 好名字 给我介绍一下吉尔斯吧 |
[06:09] | Well, he can detect carbon monoxide, lift ten times his body weight, | 它能检测出一氧化碳 能举起十倍于自己体重的东西 |
[06:13] | plus he gives excellent relationship advice. | 还能提供很棒的恋爱建议 |
[06:16] | [Gears] Relationships are like improv, not for everybody. | 恋爱跟即兴表演一样 不是每个人都适合的 |
[06:19] | That’s cute. | 这很有趣 |
[06:20] | [Gears] You did not laugh. I will remember that. | 你没有笑 我会记住的 |
[06:23] | -Wait, is he reacting to me? -Mm-hmm. | 等等 它对我的话有反应? |
[06:26] | Miss Torres, did you, as a high schooler, create legitimate artificial intelligence? | 托雷斯小姐 你一个高中生 做出了真正的人工智能? |
[06:31] | Well, I wouldn’t call it “artificial.” Gears is truly his authentic self. | 我不会称这为“人工”的 吉尔斯的确就是它真正的自我 |
[06:36] | That’s extremely impressive. | 这非常了不起 |
[06:38] | Even more impressive than my self-made fanny pack charging station? | 比我这自制的腰包充电站 还要了不起吗? |
[06:43] | -Yes. -Very good. Thank you for your time. | -是的 -很好 感谢你抽空回答我 |
[06:45] | Do you know where you’re going to college yet? | 你知道你要去什么大学了吗? |
[06:48] | Howard has a cutting-edge engineering department. | 霍华德大学有着顶尖的工程系 |
[06:51] | I know, uh, which is actually why I applied there. | 我知道 那正是我申请了那里的原因 |
[06:53] | Well, I’m sure you’ve no shortage of schools to choose from, | 我相信你一定有很多学校可以选择 |
[06:56] | but part of what drew me to Howard | 可我选择了霍华德大学的原因之一 |
[06:58] | is their mission to make the field of robotics a more inclusive space. | 是他们要让机器人技术领域 成为更具包容性的空间这个宗旨 |
[07:01] | Oh my God. | 噢 天啊 |
[07:02] | That’s what I’ve been trying to do with my team at school. | 那正是我和我的团队 在学校一直努力在做的事 |
[07:05] | When I became captain, it was pretty much all fanny-pack guys, | 我刚成为队长时 我们团队里基本全是腰包男那样的人 |
[07:08] | but we’ve come a long way since, | 但从那以后我们有了很大的进步 |
[07:10] | and the lab smells so much better now. | 现在实验室里的味道好闻多了 |
[07:12] | I bet it does. | 我相信一定是那样 |
[07:14] | Look, at the risk of coming on too strong here, | 听着 哪怕让你觉得 我过于积极 我也要说一句 |
[07:17] | if you are planning to attend Howard, there’s an opening in my lab. | 如果你有意就读霍华德大学 我的实验室有一个空缺 |
[07:20] | I’m always interested in mentoring new talent, | 我一直对指导新人很感兴趣 |
[07:22] | and I think you’d fit right in. | 而我觉得你很适合 |
[07:23] | Really? Me? | 真的?我吗? |
[07:25] | Yes, you. [chuckles] | 没错 就是你 |
[07:27] | Listen, I have to keep doing my rounds here, | 听着 |
[07:29] | but I truly hope to see you in the fall. | 我得继续巡视去了 但我衷心希望能在今年秋天见到你 |
[07:31] | [Gears] Maybe you will, maybe you won’t. | 你也许会见到 也许会见不到 |
[07:33] | There’s a lot of heat on Fab and Gears right now. | 现在有很多人对法比和吉尔斯感兴趣 |
[07:36] | I’m sorry. Excuse him, I have to turn down his confidence level. | 对不起 请原谅它乱说话 |
[07:40] | [McEnroe] Uh-oh. Better call the fire department | 我得把它的自信度调低一点 最好打个电话给消防局 |
[07:43] | because someone just felt a collegiate spark. | 因为某人刚刚跟一所大学擦出了火花 |
[07:47] | Devi left Ms. Warner’s office feeling lower than Trent’s ponytail. | 德维离开了华纳女士的办公室 她的心情低落到 比特伦特的马尾辫还要低 |
[07:51] | She had royally tanked her own future, | 她彻底毁了她自己的未来 |
[07:53] | and she would have to tell her mother the truth. | 而且她还得告诉她妈妈真相 |
[07:56] | -What could be worse than that? -[PA system chimes] | 还有什么比这更糟糕的呢? |
[07:58] | [Principal Grubbs] Everyone, congratulate Devi Vishwakumar. | 各位 请祝贺德维·维什瓦库马尔 |
[08:01] | I just heard she’s been accepted to every single Ivy League school. | 我刚刚听说 她被全部常春藤盟校录取了 |
[08:04] | Dress up on Monday because I’m calling all the news outlets. | 大家周一穿好一点来学校 |
[08:07] | [all applauding] | 因为我准备给所有新闻媒体打电话 |
[08:09] | [McEnroe] Okay, yeah, that was worse. | 好吧 这更糟糕 |
[08:12] | Yo, D, I just heard. That’s so sick. | 哟 |
[08:15] | [groans] | 德维 |
[08:16] | [vomiting] | 我这才听说 |
[08:19] | [breathing heavily] | 这太棒了 |
[08:21] | [Ben] David? | 大卫? |
[08:23] | You okay? | 你没事吧? |
[08:24] | Uh, hi. | 嗨 |
[08:26] | [hesitating] Yeah. | 我没事 |
[08:28] | Yeah, I’d probably barf too if I got a clean sweep. | 是啊 如果我拿下全部藤校 我大概也会开心到吐 |
[08:30] | Congratulations. It’s insane. | 恭喜你 那太疯狂了 |
[08:32] | Yeah, “insane” is the right word for it. | 是啊 用“疯狂”这词来形容很贴切 |
[08:37] | What are you doing in here? | 你在这里做什么? |
[08:39] | Oh. I kind of got a case of senioritis and sort of stopped doing my work, | 我得了毕业倦怠症 最近不怎么做作业 |
[08:42] | so Ms. Warner put me on probation. | 于是华纳女士给了我留校察看的处罚 |
[08:44] | I’m not allowed to go to prom, and I have to sit here and catch up | 我不能参加毕业舞会 而且还得坐在这里把作业补回来 |
[08:47] | so that Columbia doesn’t take back my acceptance. | 那样哥大才不会取消我的录取资格 |
[08:50] | What? [scoffs] | 什么? |
[08:51] | How could you carelessly throw away such a precious opportunity? | 你怎么能那么大意 浪费掉一个这么宝贵的机会? |
[08:54] | Do you know how many people would kill to be in your position? | 你知道有多少人 千方百计都想上哥大吗? |
[08:56] | Jeez, I know. I’m sorry. I’m fixing it right now. | 天啊 我知道 对不起 我现在在补救了 |
[08:59] | You gonna hit me? | 你是要打我吗? |
[09:02] | No. | 不是 |
[09:04] | Do you want some help? | 要我来帮你吗? |
[09:06] | Really? You’d rather sit here and do calculus | 真的? |
[09:08] | than celebrate out there with all your fans? | 你不去跟你的粉丝们一起庆祝 反倒宁愿坐在这里做微积分? |
[09:10] | Okay, don’t question me. Just accept the help. | 好了 |
[09:13] | [gentle music playing] | 别问我问题了 |
[09:17] | [upbeat music playing] | 你就接受我的帮忙吧 |
[09:19] | [McEnroe] Devi had hidden out the rest of the school day | 直到放学前 |
[09:22] | doing Ben’s homework, | 德维都躲了起来 帮本做作业 |
[09:23] | and now she was home, | 而现在 她回到了家 |
[09:25] | supposedly getting ready for the most magical night of her life. | 按理说 |
[09:30] | [sighs] | 她应该是 在为她一生中最神奇的夜晚做准备 |
[09:32] | [McEnroe] Or not. | 又或者不是 |
[09:34] | [phone vibrating] | (阿克莎拉 普林斯顿) |
[09:39] | -Hello. -Hey, Devi. | -喂 -嘿 德维 |
[09:41] | It’s Akshara from Princeton. | 我是普林斯顿的阿克莎拉 |
[09:43] | I’m so sorry to take so long to get back to you. | 很抱歉这么久才给你回电话 |
[09:45] | I’ve had to make a lot of these calls today. | 我今天有很多这样的电话要打 没关系 |
[09:48] | Okay. So, what’s the deal with the wait-list then? | 那我被放进候补名单 是怎么一回事? |
[09:51] | Is it like a “thoughts and prayers” kind of situation, | 那是一种安慰人的手段吗? |
[09:54] | or is there a routing number you wanna slide my way? | 还是说你可以给我个账号 让我给你打钱? |
[09:57] | Unfortunately, your best chance is to fill out the supplemental essay. | 很遗憾 你最有胜算的做法 是提交一篇补充性文书 |
[10:01] | That’s it? Write another essay? | 就那样?再写一篇文书? |
[10:03] | But what can I say that I haven’t already said? | 可我还能写什么我还没写过的内容? |
[10:05] | [Akshara] I think you could say more. | 我认为你还能再多写一点 |
[10:07] | Your first essay was… | 你的第一篇文书 |
[10:09] | It was very well written. It was very academic. | 写得很好 很有学术性 |
[10:12] | It had multiple uses of the word “dichotomy.” | 其中多次用到了“二分法”这个词 |
[10:17] | -But it didn’t really show me who you are. -But you know who I am. | -但它并没有告诉我你是什么样的人 -可你很清楚我是什么样的人 |
[10:20] | I call you every week. | 我每周都给你打电话 |
[10:22] | You’re the only one that knows that one of my teeth is fake. | 你是唯一一个知道 我有一颗牙齿是假的的人 |
[10:25] | Yeah, that’s all true, but I wanna know why you are who you are. | 对 没错 可我想知道 你为什么会是这样的人 |
[10:29] | If I could give you one piece of advice for this essay… | 如果要我给你 一个如何写好这篇文书的建议 |
[10:33] | [smacks lips] …dig a little deeper. | 我建议你深挖一点 |
[10:35] | And if I do that, then… what are my chances? | 如果我那样做了 我被录取的机会有多大? |
[10:39] | Well, I’m not gonna sugarcoat it for you. | 我跟你说实话吧 |
[10:41] | We don’t take a lot of people off the wait-list, | 我们不会从候补名单里录取很多人 |
[10:43] | but it’s not a zero percent chance, so it’s worth a shot, right? | 但也不是一点机会都没有 所以还是值得一试的 对吧? |
[10:47] | And I know whatever happens, wherever you go, | 而且我知道 不管结果如何 不管你最终去了哪里 |
[10:50] | you have a bright future ahead of you. | 你都会有光明的前途 |
[10:52] | Yeah. | 对 |
[10:54] | Sure. | 没错 |
[10:56] | [sighs] | |
[10:57] | Bye, Akshara. | 再见 |
[10:58] | [somber music playing] | 阿克莎拉 |
[11:02] | Whoa. Kanna, you look stunning. | 哇 宝贝 |
[11:05] | [gasps] Thanks. | 你看起来美极了 谢谢夸奖 |
[11:09] | Mom, I need to tell you something. | 妈妈 我有件事得告诉你 |
[11:12] | I actually wanted to talk to you too. | 我其实也想跟你谈谈 |
[11:15] | Um… | |
[11:17] | You know, | 是这样 |
[11:18] | I was just thinking about this amazing achievement of yours, | 我一直在想你取得的这个惊人的成就 |
[11:23] | and, uh, on your very special night… [chuckles] | 而在这个对你来说非常特别的夜晚 |
[11:26] | …and I started to think about when your dad asked me to move here. | 我开始想起了 当初你爸爸让我搬来这里的事 |
[11:31] | And, uh, you know, at first I… | 跟你说 |
[11:33] | [inhales deeply] I didn’t want to. I mean, we seriously struggled. | 一开始我不想来的 我们那时候吃了很多苦 |
[11:37] | But then I look at you right now, | 可我现在看到你这个样子 |
[11:40] | like, so beautiful, and… | 这么漂亮 |
[11:44] | so accomplished, | 这么成功 |
[11:46] | and it just makes all the hardship worth it. | 这让我感觉所有的苦都是值得的 |
[11:52] | That’s all, ma. | 我说完了 宝贝 |
[11:53] | [McEnroe] Devi already felt pretty low before this conversation, | 在这次谈心之前 德维的心情已经很低落了 |
[11:57] | but now she was somewhere around the Earth’s core. | 可现在 她的心情 更是低落到快要到地核那么低了 |
[12:00] | [Nalini] Okay then, hurry up. | 好了 快点吧 |
[12:01] | Your friends are waiting outside in… a very tacky limo. | 你的朋友 |
[12:05] | [groovy song playing] | 在外面一辆很俗气的礼宾车里等你了 |
[12:06] | [McEnroe] Welcome, everybody. It is an honor to be driving you tonight. | 三位 欢迎你们 我很荣幸今晚能开车载你们 |
[12:10] | My name is Stoo, spelled the usual way, S-T-O-O. | 我的名字叫斯图 斯文的斯 图片的图 |
[12:14] | So sit back, relax, and enjoy the refreshments | 请你们坐好 放松身心 |
[12:17] | left by the people I drove to Vegas last night. | 享用昨晚坐我的车去拉斯维加斯的人 留下的饮料和点心吧 |
[12:19] | Is that vodka? Hell yeah. | 那是伏特加吗?太好了 |
[12:23] | [McEnroe] Wow, can you believe our girls are heading off to their senior prom? | 哇 你能相信吗? 这三个女孩要去参加毕业舞会了 |
[12:26] | And happy to just go with each other as dates? | 而且她们有彼此做舞伴就满足了 |
[12:29] | That shows real maturity from them, which they would notice | 这表明她们真的成熟了 要不是她们都在 |
[12:33] | if they weren’t all secretly struggling with their own inner demons. | 为各自的烦心事暗自苦恼 她们就会发现这一点了 |
[12:36] | Hey, Devi. | 嘿 德维 |
[12:39] | Since we’re heading off to a milestone, just thinking about milestones to come, | 既然我们即将迎来一个转折点 并在想着未来的一个个转折点 |
[12:44] | and I was wondering how important it is that I be your roommate at Princeton. | 我想知道我和你在普林斯顿 |
[12:47] | [slurping] | 做室友这件事有多重要 |
[12:48] | Uh, what? | 什么?是的 |
[12:50] | Yeah, super important. | 超级重要 |
[12:51] | Samesies. | 我也是这么认为的 |
[12:53] | I also want that, which is why it’s good it’s happening. | 我也很想那样 所以这事能成真是件好事 |
[12:56] | Could I also get some vodka? | 能让我也喝点伏特加吗? |
[12:58] | Wow, gals, straight vodka? | 哇 你们两个 喝纯的伏特加啊? |
[13:02] | Well, let’s partay. | 那我们就来开怀畅饮吧 |
[13:05] | Driver, take the scenic route. | 司机 走一条风景好的路 |
[13:08] | You got it. Let’s take this baby up a mountain. [Eleanor] Whoo! | 没问题 |
[13:12] | [party song playing] [Fabiola] Whoo! | 我们开到山上去吧 |
[13:18] | Devi, come on. Come here. | 德维 |
[13:20] | [laughing] | 快点 |
[13:22] | [laughing] | 过来呀 |
[13:26] | You guys, on this, the most sacred night of high school, | 两位 在这个高中最神圣的夜晚 |
[13:32] | I just wanna say how proud I am of you two, | 我想说我为你们俩感到非常骄傲 |
[13:35] | winning tech fairs and getting clean sweeps. | 你们一个称霸科技展 一个拿下了全部藤校 |
[13:38] | So here’s to your futures. | 所以这杯是敬你们的前途的 |
[13:40] | They’re bright as hell! Whoo! | 你们的前途无比光明啊! |
[13:43] | -Whoo! -[Devi screams] | 噢 |
[13:45] | -[tires screeching] -Oh God! [Eleanor] Ahh! | 天啊! |
[13:51] | Hey, this is Stoo, the limo driver up front. | 嘿 我是斯图 就是在前面的礼宾车司机 |
[13:54] | Uh, is any… anybody dead? | 有人死了吗? 噢 |
[13:56] | -[Devi sobbing] -Oh my God, Devi, are you hurt? | 天啊 德维 你受伤了吗? |
[14:00] | I didn’t get into college. | 没有大学录取我 |
[14:03] | What? | 什么? |
[14:04] | I didn’t get in anywhere. | 没有一所大学录取我 |
[14:06] | [somber music playing] | |
[14:07] | [gasps] | |
[14:12] | Hey, you girls okay? | 嘿 你们几个没事吧? |
[14:13] | Might be best if you don’t sleep for a coupla days, | 你们最好几天不要睡觉 |
[14:15] | in case you get the brain bleeds. | 以防你们脑出血了 |
[14:17] | Thanks for the tip. | 多谢提醒 |
[14:18] | So, what do we do about the flat? Is there, like, a spare? | 那这瘪了的轮胎 要怎么办?你有备胎吗? |
[14:21] | Oh, uh, full disclosure, that was the spare. | 老实说 这一条就是备胎 |
[14:25] | Yeah, I got into a nasty accident this morning too. | 我今天早上也出了一场严重的事故 |
[14:28] | There’s no service up here. | 这山上没有信号 |
[14:29] | Yeah, um, looks like one of us | 是啊 看样子我们中的一个人 |
[14:32] | is gonna have to go down to Pep Boys to get a new tire. | 得下山去修车店买一条新的轮胎 |
[14:36] | [sighs] Fine, I’ll do it. | 行吧 我去 |
[14:38] | But just so you know, technically, this is also formal wear, | 但顺便告诉你们 严格来说 我这也算是正装 |
[14:42] | Just so you know. | 我没什么别的意思 |
[14:44] | Jeez. | 天啊 |
[14:46] | [Fabiola sighs] | |
[14:48] | Wanna talk about it? | 你想跟我们讲讲吗? |
[14:52] | Maybe bring out the vodka? | 要不把那瓶伏特加拿出来吧? |
[14:54] | On it. | 我这就去拿 |
[14:57] | Pax, thanks again for volunteering, | 帕克斯 再次感谢你自愿报名 |
[15:00] | and for proving that the faculty prom committee | 也感谢你证明了 毕业舞会教职工委员会的成员 |
[15:02] | isn’t just for teachers who weren’t invited to their own proms. | 并不全是没被邀请 去参加他们自己的舞会的老师 |
[15:05] | Yeah, sure. | 不客气 这没什么 |
[15:07] | Unfortunately, the only job that hasn’t been claimed is bathroom duty. | 很遗憾 现在还没有人做的工作 就只剩下守厕所这一个了 |
[15:12] | What? Come on, man. | 什么?拜托 哥们 |
[15:13] | I’m sorry. All you have to do is make sure nobody’s drinking or smoking in there. | 很抱歉 你要做的 就是确保没人在里面抽烟或喝酒 |
[15:16] | And I can’t do it because the students think of me as their cool peer. | 这事我做不了 因为学生们 都当我是他们酷酷的同龄人 |
[15:20] | But look… you won’t be alone. | 可你看 |
[15:23] | [romantic song playing] ♪ You’re everything I want ♪ | 会有人陪你的 |
[15:27] | [McEnroe] For the first time in his beautiful life, | 在帕克斯顿美好的人生中 |
[15:29] | Paxton was on the receiving end of a slo-mo entrance, | 他还是第一次 看着别人慢动作向他走来 |
[15:33] | and my God was it good. | 而这感觉棒呆了 |
[15:35] | ♪ Everything I want… ♪ | |
[15:37] | [Paxton] Hi. | 嗨 |
[15:38] | You look nice. | 你看起来很漂亮 |
[15:39] | Thank you. So do you. | 谢谢夸奖 你也是 |
[15:42] | Well, I guess we’re officially low-status again. | 看来我们再次正式成为 低贱身份群的一分子了 |
[15:45] | Speak for yourself. | 别拽上我 |
[15:46] | -I’ve never been low-status in my… -[flushing] | 我的身份从来都不… |
[15:49] | Right. [laughs] | 你说得对 |
[15:52] | [gentle music playing] | |
[15:55] | I am so sorry, guys. | 两位 我很抱歉 |
[15:57] | I didn’t mean for this lie to get around. | 我没想让这个谎言传出去的 |
[16:00] | I just didn’t wanna tell my mom the truth. | 我只是不想告诉我妈妈真相 |
[16:02] | It’s okay. We get it. | 没事 |
[16:05] | [sighs] | 我们理解的 |
[16:06] | I should probably tell Principal Grubbs before she books me on The Today Show. | 我得把真相告诉格拉布斯校长 |
[16:09] | [laughing] | 免得她让我上《今日秀》 |
[16:10] | God, why do I have to be a psycho all the time? | 天啊 为什么我老是像个疯子一样? |
[16:14] | I like your psycho side. It makes things interesting. | 我喜欢你疯狂的一面 |
[16:17] | [soft music playing] | 这让事情变得很有趣 |
[16:18] | Yeah, sure. | 是啊 没错 |
[16:21] | I’m really sorry we’re not gonna be roommates, Fab. | 法比 很抱歉我们做不成室友了 |
[16:26] | Actually, I’ve been trying to figure out a way to tell you | 事实上 我一直在想要怎么告诉你 |
[16:28] | that I don’t wanna go to Princeton. | 我不想去普林斯顿了 |
[16:31] | -What? -I wanna go to Howard. | -什么? -我想去霍华德大学 |
[16:33] | -That’s awesome. -You think so? | -那太棒了 -你真的这么认为吗? |
[16:36] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[16:38] | I’m really happy for you. | 我真替你高兴 |
[16:41] | So, what are you gonna do, Devi? | 那你打算怎么办 德维? |
[16:44] | I’m supposed to write this essay to get myself off the wait-list, | 我应该要去写那篇文书 让我自己从候补名单中脱颖而出 |
[16:49] | but the admissions officer basically said that my chances are slim to none. | 可招生人员的意思基本是 |
[16:54] | Well, at least you two are killing it. | 我被录取的机会微乎其微 至少你们两个很成功 |
[16:57] | Yeah, right. I’m not killing it. | 得了吧 我才不成功呢 |
[17:00] | I haven’t booked a part with a single line yet. | 我还没接到过有一句台词的角色 |
[17:02] | But it’s okay because I’m gonna take some directing classes. | 不过没事 因为我准备去上一些导演课程 |
[17:06] | Trent gave me the idea. | 是特伦特启发了我 |
[17:07] | Hold up. You’re talking to Trent? | 等等 |
[17:09] | [chuckles] It’s not a big deal. | 你跟特伦特说话了? 这没什么大不了的 |
[17:14] | [Devi] El, it’s so obvious. | 小埃 这很明显了 |
[17:16] | You love Trent. | 你爱特伦特 |
[17:18] | You should tell him. | 你该去告诉他 |
[17:22] | Hey, ladies, I… I finally made it down the hill. | 嘿 姑娘们 我总算到了山下 |
[17:25] | Only fell two times. | 中途只摔倒了两次 |
[17:27] | Um, but we’re gonna have to tow the limo. | 但我们得拖走这辆礼宾车 |
[17:30] | Yeah, and we’re gonna take you to the prom in this truck. [laughs] | 并用这辆皮卡车载你们去舞会了 |
[17:32] | Could you just take us home? | 你们能直接送我们回家吗? |
[17:35] | I’d actually like to go to someone else’s home. | 实际上 |
[17:40] | -[knocking on door] -About time. | 我想去另外一个人的家 总算到了 |
[17:42] | I ordered that Peanut Buster Parfait two… | 这花生巧克力冰淇淋 我下单后等了两个小时… |
[17:44] | Eleanors ago? | 埃莉诺? |
[17:46] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[17:47] | Sorry I don’t have a Peanut Buster Parfait for you. | 抱歉 我没有花生巧克力冰淇淋给你 |
[17:50] | I actually came here… Uh… | 我其实是来… |
[17:53] | Are you okay? You look like you’ve seen a goat. | 你没事吧?你一副见到山羊的样子 |
[17:55] | -Do you mean a ghost? -No. | -你是想说见到鬼吗? -不是 |
[17:58] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:00] | Well, I came here | 那个 我到这里来 |
[18:02] | because there’s a lot of uncertainty in life, right? | 是因为 人生有很多不确定的事 对吧? |
[18:06] | I mean, like, tonight, I got into a limo crash, | 我的意思是 比如说 今晚我坐的礼宾车出了事故 |
[18:09] | and then I found out that Devi, our best student, | 然后我得知 我们学校最优秀的学生德维 |
[18:12] | didn’t actually get into a single college. | 没有被任何一所大学录取 |
[18:14] | [Ben] Wait, what? | 等等 |
[18:16] | Oh, uh, hi. | 什么? 你好 |
[18:18] | Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention I had company. | 噢 对不起 我忘了说我有客人 |
[18:20] | Eleanor, I want you to meet Ben. | 埃莉诺 给你介绍一下 这位是本 |
[18:22] | What do you mean Devi didn’t get into a single college? She got a clean sweep. | 你说德维没被任何一所大学录取 是什么意思?她拿下了全部藤校啊 |
[18:26] | Actually, she… got the opposite. | 实际上 她一所也没拿下 |
[18:29] | Is she okay? | 她还好吗? |
[18:30] | Hey, Ben, why don’t you read the doorway? | 嘿 本 你能不能有点眼力劲儿啊? |
[18:33] | Eleanor’s dressed like a mermaid | 埃莉诺穿得像条美人鱼 |
[18:34] | and seems to be ramping up to something good. | 而且好像有什么好事要说 |
[18:37] | [Ben] Yeah, sure. Sorry. | 对哦 好的 抱歉 |
[18:41] | Okay, he’s gone. Please continue your ramp. | 好了 他走了 你请继续说吧 |
[18:44] | I was trying to say that even though there’s all this uncertainty, | 我刚才想说的是 尽管人生有很多不确定的事 |
[18:48] | I’m certain about one thing. | 但有一件事我很确定 |
[18:50] | I wanna be with you. | 那就是我想和你在一起 |
[18:51] | Yes! That’s what I was hoping you were gonna say. | 太好了!我正希望你这么说 |
[18:54] | And you mean romantically, right? | 你是说谈恋爱的那种在一起 对吧? |
[18:57] | Not like as a team for The Amazing Race? | 不是组队去参加《极速前进》的 |
[18:59] | [laughs] Yes, romantically. [“Sucker” by Kaptan playing] | 那种在一起吧? |
[19:04] | [vocalizing] | 对 |
[19:06] | ♪ I’m just a sucker for a happy ending ♪ [upbeat music playing] | 是谈恋爱的那种在一起 |
[19:15] | Okay, Shrimp, I don’t think you need | 阿虾 |
[19:17] | a bundled-up sweatshirt to go to the bathroom. | 我认为你不需要 带一件包成一团的运动衫去上厕所 |
[19:19] | -You don’t know how I shit. -Shrimp. | -你不知道我是怎么拉屎的 |
[19:22] | -[Shrimp sighs] -Thank you. | -阿虾 |
[19:25] | [door opens] | 谢谢 |
[19:26] | So, what’d we get this time? | 这次又是什么东西? |
[19:29] | -Um, Laffy Taffy schnapps. -Wow. | -太妃糖味的烈酒 -哇 |
[19:32] | -That’s new. -All right. | -这还挺新鲜的 |
[19:34] | [sighs] | -确实 |
[19:35] | This is exactly why I got into the teaching game. | 这正是我从事教学工作的原因 |
[19:38] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[19:39] | I mean, we really are shaping the future one flush at a time. | 我们真的是在一把屎一把尿地 |
[19:43] | [laughs] | 塑造着未来呢 |
[19:45] | I am curious though. Why did you decide to become a teacher? | 不过我很好奇 你当初为什么决定要当老师? |
[19:49] | Well, uh, when I was in high school, | 这个嘛 我读高中的时候 |
[19:52] | my parents were going through a pretty messy divorce, | 我父母闹离婚闹得很厉害 |
[19:55] | and my grades started to slip. | 我的成绩开始下滑 |
[19:58] | But there was this one teacher who would not let me fail. | 可有一位老师挽救了我 |
[20:03] | I mean, it sounds corny, | 虽然这听起来很老套 |
[20:04] | but I wanna change someone’s life like that. | 但是 我想像那样改变一个人的人生 |
[20:08] | That’s not corny at all. | 这一点也不老套 |
[20:10] | I think it’s awesome. | 我觉得这很棒 |
[20:12] | Well, it sounds like you already had one of those moments. | 你好像已经试过改变一个人的人生了 |
[20:14] | Um… | |
[20:16] | I heard what you did for Eric on the swim team. | 我听说了你在游泳队为埃里克做的事 |
[20:18] | Oh, come on. I barely did anything. | 拜托 我几乎什么都没做 |
[20:21] | I just blew a whistle and told him not to drown. | 我就吹了一下哨子 还有叫他不要淹死而已 |
[20:24] | Well… for what it’s worth, | 我给你个建议吧 要不要听随你 |
[20:27] | I feel you could do this for real if you wanted to. | 如果你想干这一行 那你可以认真地干 |
[20:29] | It did feel good helping him. | 帮助他的确让我感觉很棒 |
[20:32] | I wouldn’t mind doing that for a living. | 我不介意以这一行为生 |
[20:34] | [“Nightline” by Ships & Uncle Gene playing] | |
[20:36] | And there are other things about this job that are pretty great. | 而且这份工作还有别的好处 |
[20:41] | Oh yeah? | 噢 是吗? |
[20:42] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[20:44] | Would you ever wanna hang out? | 你想出去玩玩吗? |
[20:47] | Like further away from the bathroom maybe? | 比如去个离厕所远一点的地方? |
[20:50] | Sure. | 好啊 |
[20:52] | That sounds nice. | 那听起来不错 |
[20:53] | [“Nightline” continues playing] | |
[20:57] | Yo, uh, we need help. | 嘿 我们需要帮忙 |
[20:59] | Brody was trying to smoke some… salmon, | 布洛迪想要来支烟… 烟熏三文鱼 |
[21:02] | but then he got stuck in a window. | 可后来他被窗户卡住了 |
[21:04] | -[sighs] -Okay. | 好吧 |
[21:06] | [Miss Thompson] Come on. | 走吧 |
[21:11] | [scoffs] [knocking on window] | (普林斯顿) |
[21:18] | Ben? | 本? |
[21:20] | [panting] Jesus. That’s how Paxton used to come in? | 天啊 帕克斯顿 以前就是这样爬进来的? |
[21:23] | That’s freakin’ treacherous. | 这他妈简直隐患重重 |
[21:24] | There’s nothing to hold on to except a razor-sharp trellis. | 除了一个超锋利的棚架 |
[21:27] | Huh. Always seemed pretty easy for him. | 根本没有可以用手抓住的东西 他每次都好像很轻松就上来了 |
[21:31] | -Great. -So… what are you doing here? | -很好 -你来这里做什么? |
[21:36] | Well, I heard about your college situation. | 我听说了你申请大学失利的事 |
[21:38] | [laughs] Pretty pathetic, huh? | 很可悲 对吧? |
[21:41] | No, it’s not pathetic. | 不 |
[21:43] | [Devi] Mmm, yeah, it is. | 这不可悲 这就是很可悲 |
[21:45] | Being rejected and wait-listed by everywhere you applied | 被你申请的所有大学 拒绝和放入候补名单 |
[21:48] | is, like, the definition of pathetic, so… | 就是可悲的定义 所以… |
[21:50] | You were wait-listed somewhere? | 有大学把你放入了候补名单? |
[21:52] | Yeah, Princeton. | 对 普林斯顿 |
[21:53] | -So you still have a shot. -No, I don’t. | 这么说你还有机会啊 不 我没机会了 |
[21:55] | They want me to do another essay, and I’m not going to. | 他们让我再写一篇文书 而我不打算写了 |
[21:58] | What? Are you out of your mind? | 什么?你疯了吗? |
[22:00] | No, I’m not wasting my time, and I’m done. | 我没疯 我不想浪费时间 我受够了 |
[22:04] | I’ll just [sighs] apply again next fall. | 我明年秋季再申请一次就好了 |
[22:06] | Look, Devi, you are many things. | 听着 德维 你身上有很多标签 |
[22:09] | A, uh… A maniac, a liar, a heavy sweater, a reckless driver… | 疯子、骗子、暴汗怪、马路杀手… |
[22:13] | -Hey, this is very hurtful. -But you’re not a quitter. | -嘿 你这话很伤人啊 -但你不是个会轻易放弃的人 |
[22:17] | Well… it’s not gonna make a difference | 我写了也不会有什么区别的 |
[22:19] | because I have no chance of getting in anyway. | 因为不管怎样我都不会被录取的 |
[22:23] | [Devi sighs] | |
[22:25] | [Ben sighs] | |
[22:26] | Look, if anyone gets how badly you wanted to go to Princeton | 听着 要说有谁清楚 你有多想上普林斯顿 |
[22:29] | and how much you killed yourself to try to make that happen, it’s me. | 以及你为此付出了 多大的代价 |
[22:32] | -[scoffs] -I mean, if I were you right now, | 那就是我 如果我是你的话 |
[22:34] | I’d want someone to put me in like a medically-induced coma. | 我希望有人用药物让我昏迷 |
[22:36] | Yeah, I would like that. | 是啊 我也希望那样 |
[22:38] | But if you don’t try everything that you can, you’re gonna regret it. | 但如果你不拼尽全力 你会后悔的 |
[22:45] | [Devi] Hey, Ben? | -嘿 |
[22:46] | Yeah. | 本? -嗯? |
[22:50] | I’m sorry I called you mean when Margot was over. | 对不起 玛歌过来的那晚 |
[22:54] | You’re actually… [inhales] | 我说你刻薄 你其实… |
[22:56] | …very nice to come over and try and cheer me up. | 非常好心 过来想方设法给我打气 |
[23:00] | Did it work? | -有效果吗? |
[23:01] | Not really. [sighs] Hmm. | -没多少 |
[23:06] | But I will… [exhales] | 但那篇文书我会写的 |
[23:07] | …write that essay. | |
[23:11] | You know, when you called me mean the other night, | 那晚你说我刻薄 |
[23:13] | it didn’t really bother me. | 我其实不怎么介意 |
[23:15] | But the thing that keeps replaying in my brain is | 但我脑子里一直在想的是 |
[23:18] | when you reminded me that I’m the one who said that we shouldn’t be together. M… Maybe I was wrong, David. [“Dreaming Of U” by Oberhofer playing] | 你让我想起了 |
[23:30] | [vocalizing] ♪ I’ll be dreaming of you tonight ♪ | 是我说我们不该在一起的这件事 |
[23:38] | ♪ I love you when I see you smile ♪ [vocalizing] | 也许我说错了 |
[23:43] | ♪ I love you when I see you smile ♪ [vocalizing] | 大卫 |
[23:47] | [Nalini yelling] What were you thinking? | 你是怎么想的? |
[23:49] | Mom, it’s not what it looks like. | 妈妈 事情不是你看上去那样的 |
[23:51] | Nothing happened between us. See? We’re both fully clothed. | 什么事也没有发生 看到没?我们都穿着衣服呢 |
[23:53] | What? | 什么? |
[23:55] | Oh, Ben. I thought he was one of your dolls. | 噢 本 我以为他是你的一个玩偶呢 |
[23:57] | But now that I do see you, get out of here. | 不过现在我看出来是你了 你走吧 |
[24:01] | Ms. Warner just called me this morning. | 华纳女士今天早上打了电话给我 |
[24:03] | You got into zero colleges, | 你没被任何一所大学录取 |
[24:04] | and then on top of it, you… you lied to me? | 除此之外 你还对我撒谎? |
[24:06] | Okay, I… I know… I just… I couldn’t… | 好吧 我知道…我只是…我没办法… |
[24:08] | You couldn’t what? I… I let you take charge of your own college process | 你没办法什么? 我让你自己负责申请大学的事 |
[24:11] | because for some strange reason I thought you’d be sensible. | 是因为出于某种奇怪的原因 我以为你会很理智的 |
[24:13] | What were you thinking only applying to Ivies? | 你居然只申请了藤校 你是怎么想的? |
[24:16] | I mean, how could you be so stupid? | 你怎么这么笨? |
[24:18] | [somber music playing] | |
[24:20] | I didn’t mean stupid. I just… I meant… | 我不是说你笨 我只是…我的意思是… |
[24:22] | Yes, you did. | 你就是说我笨 |
[24:25] | And you’re right. I am. | 而你没说错 我就是笨 |
[24:29] | I am so sorry you moved all the way from India for nothing. | 对不起 你们大老远从印度搬来这里 |
[24:33] | -Devi… -Can I just… please be alone? | 结果到头来所有的苦都白吃了 -德维… -能让我一个人静静吗? |
[24:39] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[24:43] | [Dr. Ryan] So you’re graduating pretty soon. That’s exciting. | 你很快就要毕业了 这还真令人兴奋啊 |
[24:47] | -Is it? -For me, it is. | -是这样吗? -对我来说是的 |
[24:50] | Now I don’t have to hear about the weird social politics in orchestra anymore. | 我再也不用听你讲 管弦乐团里那些奇怪的社会政治了 |
[24:54] | Thought you liked when I talked about how bitchy the woodwinds were. | 我还以为你喜欢听我讲 那些演奏木管乐器的家伙有多恶毒呢 |
[24:58] | Yeah, I kind of do. | 没错 我是挺喜欢的 |
[25:00] | What’s going on? Why you look so down? | 这是怎么了? |
[25:03] | Oh, I don’t know. | 你为什么看起来这么沮丧? 我不知道 |
[25:04] | Maybe because I’m a complete, gigantic failure. | 也许是因为我是个彻头彻尾的失败者 |
[25:06] | What are you talking about? You’re not a failure. | 你在说什么呢?你才不是失败者 |
[25:10] | How? | 怎么不是?你的衡量标准是什么? |
[25:11] | Like, what’s your scale? Loser to trash can? | 要扔进垃圾桶的废柴吗? |
[25:15] | When I first met you, you were a closed-off, angry little thing. | 我第一次见到你的时候 你是个自我封闭 成天气鼓鼓的小家伙 |
[25:20] | You didn’t wanna get in touch with your feelings, | 你不想面对你的感情 |
[25:23] | your pain, your trauma. | 你的痛苦、你的心理创伤 |
[25:25] | All you wanted to do is break stuff. | 你唯一想做的事就是砸东西 |
[25:28] | Hell, I had to start putting all my ceramics away before you came in. | 每次你来之前 我都得把我的陶器全收起来 |
[25:33] | -Sorry. -But look at you. | -对不起 -可你看看你现在的样子 |
[25:36] | Look how far you’ve come. | 看看你进步了多少 |
[25:39] | You faced your trauma, and you came out on the other side. | 你直面了你的心理创伤 而且走出了阴影 |
[25:43] | And I’m sorry to get a little emotional, | 对不起 我的情绪有点激动 |
[25:46] | but… there were some times there | 可有几次 |
[25:49] | when I was really worried about you, miss girl. | 我是真的很担心你啊 小姑娘 |
[25:52] | Look at you today. | 看看你如今的样子 |
[25:53] | I am… so proud of you. | 我为你感到非常骄傲 |
[25:57] | You survived, baby. | 你幸存下来了 宝贝 |
[25:59] | You’re a survivor. | 你是个幸存者 |
[26:02] | You really mean that? | 你说的是真的吗? |
[26:03] | This little college thing, | 你申请大学失利这件小事 |
[26:05] | this is just a bump in the road | 跟你已经克服了的所有困难比起来 |
[26:07] | compared to everything you’ve already overcome. | 这就是一点小小的挫折 |
[26:09] | You can do anything you put your mind to. | 你只要用心去做 |
[26:16] | -[vase shatters] -[Devi exhales] | 你什么事都做得成 |
[26:18] | Thank you, Dr. Ryan. | 谢谢你 瑞安博士 |
[26:21] | And thank you for helping me. | 谢谢你帮了我 |
[26:24] | And I’m sorry about your vase. | 还有 对不起 我打破了你的花瓶 |
[26:27] | That’s all right. | 没关系 |
[26:28] | That one was a little ugly anyways. | 反正那个花瓶也有点丑 |
[26:33] | [woman on phone] Arizona State Admissions. How may I direct your call? | 这里是亚利桑那州立大学招生办 请问你要转接到哪里? |
[26:36] | Hi. My name is Paxton Hall-Yoshida. | 你好 我叫帕克斯顿·霍尔-吉田 |
[26:39] | I was enrolled at the beginning of the year, | 我是今年年初入学的学生 |
[26:41] | and I ended up dropping out, | 后来我退学了 |
[26:42] | but now I was kind of thinking I wanna come back | 可现在我有点想回来 |
[26:45] | and transfer to the undergraduate Teachers College… | 并转到本科师范学院… |
[26:47] | [woman] Sir, I don’t need your whole life story, okay? | 先生 你没必要跟我讲 你全部的人生经历 好吧? |
[26:50] | Oh, sorry. | 噢 抱歉 |
[26:51] | [woman] Let me connect you with Undergraduate Admissions. | 我帮你转接到本科招生办吧 |
[26:54] | Okay. | 好 |
[26:55] | [woman] And congrats on being a Sun Devil again. | 另外 祝贺你再次成为 |
[26:58] | [exhales] Th… Thank you. Thanks. | 我们学校的一员 谢谢你 谢谢 |
[27:03] | [McEnroe] After talking to Dr. Ryan, | 在与瑞安博士交谈过后 |
[27:05] | Devi knew exactly what this essay needed to say. | 德维很清楚这篇文书要写什么了 |
[27:09] | [sighs] | |
[27:12] | [Devi] A long time ago, someone told me to write my college essay about my father. | 很久以前 有人跟我说 我的大学申请文书应该写我的父亲 |
[27:16] | But I didn’t want to | 可我并不想写这个内容 |
[27:18] | because it felt exploitative and wrong. | 因为我感觉 这是在利用他 而这是不对的 |
[27:21] | However, I don’t think there’s a way to really know me | 然而 我认为如果不让你们了解他 |
[27:24] | without knowing about him. | 我没办法让你们真正了解我 |
[27:26] | I should back up and tell you that my father died | 我应该倒回从前 |
[27:29] | my freshman year of high school, | 告诉你们一件事 我父亲在我高一那年去世了 |
[27:31] | and he died right in front of me at an orchestra concert. | 而且他是在一场管弦音乐会上 当着我的面去世的 |
[27:35] | I was 15 years old, | 我当时15岁 |
[27:36] | and I watched the person I loved most in the world | 我眼睁睁地看着这世上我最爱的人 |
[27:39] | disappear right before my eyes. | 就那样在我眼前消失了 |
[27:41] | But I don’t want to focus on his death. | 但我不想把重点放在他的死上 |
[27:43] | It was how he lived that really shaped me. | 真正塑造了我的是他的生活方式 |
[27:47] | He was a person who had unending joy and optimism about the world. | 他是个有着无尽欢乐 并对这个世界怀着乐观心态的人 |
[27:51] | Princeton was actually a dream he and I came up with together. | 普林斯顿其实是 我和他一起想出来的一个梦想 |
[27:55] | I think I’ve so fiercely held on to Princeton | 我认为我对普林斯顿如此执着 |
[27:58] | so that I could keep holding on to him. | 是为了不失去他 |
[28:00] | Land between two rivers. | 两河流域 |
[28:01] | But if you don’t accept me, | 但如果你们不录取我 |
[28:03] | I’ll be okay because I can’t lose him. | 我也不会有事的 因为我是不会失去他的 |
[28:06] | He’s always with me. | 他会永远陪着我 |
[28:08] | But if you do happen to find a spot for me, | 可如果我有幸能被你们录取 |
[28:10] | I promise I won’t take a second of it for granted | 我保证我不会有一丝一毫 认为这是理所当然的想法 |
[28:14] | because I’d be living that dream not just for me alone. [inspirational music playing] | 因为我会过好我那梦想的生活 |
[28:20] | [sighs] [inspirational music continues] [inspirational music ends] | 而那不仅仅是为了我自己 |