时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Does it seem to you that the ventriloquist dummy… | 在大家看来 一个口技表演玩偶是不是… |
[00:06] | …has a very active sexual, social life? | 拥有异常活跃,桃花不断的社交生活呢? |
[00:10] | He’s always talking about dates and women that he knows… | 他总是在谈论约会 还有他所认识的女人… |
[00:13] | …and bringing them back to the suitcase at night. | 然后带她们回皮箱里过夜 |
[00:15] | There’s always a sawdust joke in there somewhere, you know. | 还有个锯末的笑话 |
[00:19] | He says kinky things, because he’s made out of wood… | 这木头玩偶说着古怪的事情… |
[00:22] | …and he can spin his head around. | 还可以把头转来转去 |
[00:24] | We’re somehow expected to believe… | 有时我们会想要相信他… |
[00:27] | …because the face is so animated… | 因为他那张脸的表情那么生动… |
[00:29] | …they think we’re not noticing the feet are just swinging there. | 他还以为我们这些观众 就不会注意到底下晃荡着的小脚了 |
[00:33] | Dummy feet never look really right, do they? | 玩偶的脚总是那么不顺眼 是吧? |
[00:35] | They’re just kind of dangling there. Always kind of askew, you know. | 就那么在下面晃来晃去 总是歪歪扭扭的 |
[00:38] | You always see a little ankle. | 一个小小的脚脖子 |
[00:40] | Those little thin, fabric ankles that they have, you know. | 那种细细的、特脆弱的脚脖子 |
[00:43] | You think, “I don’t think this thing is real.” | 你就会想:“我觉得这玩意儿不是真的” |
[00:49] | Are you kidding me? | 开什么玩笑! |
[00:51] | Let me speak with the head librarian. It’s absurd. | 我要找你们管事儿的说话 太荒唐了 |
[00:56] | An overdue book from 1971? | 从1971年就过期的书!? |
[01:00] | This is a joke, right? What are you, from a radio station? | 逗我玩儿呢,是吧? 你以为你们是广播电台啊? |
[01:03] | Okay, you got me. I fell for it. | 行,我服了你们了 我甘拜下风 |
[01:07] | All right. Okay. | 好吧,好 |
[01:08] | I can be down there in, like, a half-hour. | 我一会儿就到你们那儿去… 半个小时吧 |
[01:11] | Bye. | 再见 |
[01:12] | -What’s the problem? -This, you’re not gonna believe. | – 怎么了? – 你绝对不会相信的 |
[01:15] | The New York Public Library… | 纽约公共图书馆… |
[01:17] | …says that I took out Tropic of Cancer in 1971… | 说我在 1971年借了 《北回归线》这本书… |
[01:22] | …and never returned it. | 然后就没还过 |
[01:24] | Do you know how much that comes to? | 你知道那会有多少欠费吗? |
[01:26] | That’s a nickel a day for 20 years. | 20年,每天五分钱 |
[01:29] | -It’s gonna be $50,000. -It doesn’t work like that. | – 一共是五万美金 – 不是那样的 |
[01:31] | If it’s a dime a day, it could be 100,000. | 要是每天一毛的话 就是十万块 |
[01:34] | It’s not gonna be anything. | 一分钱也不会有的 |
[01:35] | I returned the book. I remember it very vividly… | 那书我还了 我记得很清楚… |
[01:38] | …because I was with Sherry Becker. | 因为那天我和雪莉・贝克在一起 |
[01:40] | She wore this orange dress. It’s the first time I saw her in a dress like that. | 她穿一条橙色的裙子 我第一次见她穿那样的衣服 |
[01:43] | I’d known her since ninth grade. She was developing this body in secret… | 我从九年级就开始认识她了 她的身体就那么悄么几儿地发育了… |
[01:47] | …under these loose clothes for, like, two years. | 在表面宽松的衣服下… 偷偷发育了两年 |
[01:49] | And then one day… | 可突然有一天… |
[01:51] | …this orange dress. | 这条橙色的裙子暴露了一切 |
[01:55] | -It’s burned in my memory. -Oh, memory burn, huh? | – 我当时头脑都发热了 – 哦,大脑发热,呃? |
[01:58] | -I wonder whatever happened to her. -How did they find you? | – 我纳闷儿她是怎么变成那样的 – 他们怎么发现你的问题的? |
[02:01] | Oh, computers. They’re cracking down now on overdue books. | 哦,是电脑 他们现在正在清理过期记录 |
[02:05] | The whole thing’s completely ridiculous. | 这事压根儿就很荒唐 |
[02:08] | It’s George. Wait till he finds out we’re going to the library. He’ll be thrilled. | 是乔治,他要是知道我们 要去图书馆的话,肯定会浑身发抖的 |
[02:12] | -You know, I never got a library card. -I’m coming down. | – 知道吗,我从来没办过借书证 – 我马上下来 |
[02:16] | It’s all a bunch of cheapskates in there anyway. | 里面不过都是些财迷罢了 |
[02:18] | People sitting around reading the newspaper… | 坐在那儿看报… |
[02:20] | …attached to those huge wooden sticks… | 报纸上还带着那些大木棒子… |
[02:23] | …trying to save a quarter. | 就是为了省点儿买报的钱 |
[02:25] | Look, I gotta go to the library. You wanna go? | 我得去图书馆了,你去吗? |
[02:28] | Yeah, yeah. Let’s go. | 去,去,走吧 |
[02:38] | The Dewey Decimal System. What a scam that was. | 杜威图书分类法 好绝的方法 |
[02:42] | Boy, this Dewey guy really cleaned up on that deal. | 哥们儿,这个杜威还真是有两下子哈 |
[02:47] | Where’s George? | 乔治在哪儿? |
[02:49] | Look. Trying to save a quarter. | 看看,就为了省点儿买报的钱 |
[02:52] | I kind of like those sticks. I’d like to get them in my house. | 我还有点儿喜欢那些木棒呢 家里要弄几个就好了 |
[03:01] | This woman’s completely ignoring me. | 这个女人完全无视我的存在 |
[03:04] | Look at her. | 你看她 |
[03:05] | This is a lonely woman looking for companionship. | 一个孤独寂寞的女人想寻求伴侣 |
[03:10] | A spinster. | 她未婚 |
[03:12] | Maybe a virgin. | 兴许还是个处女 |
[03:16] | Maybe she got hurt a long time ago. She’s a schoolgirl… | 也许她很久以前曾受过伤害 那时她还是个学生… |
[03:20] | …there was a boy. It didn’t work out. | 有个中意的男孩儿 最终却没有结果 |
[03:22] | So now she needs a little tenderness. She needs a little understanding. | 现在她需要的就是一丝柔情 一点理解 |
[03:27] | Needs a little Kramer, huh? | 她需要一点点我克莱默,哈? |
[03:32] | Then she’ll need a little shot of penicillin. | 之后她就需要来一针青霉素了 |
[03:37] | -Yes? -Yeah, I called before. | – 什么事? – 嗯,我给你们打过电话 |
[03:39] | I got this notice in the mail. | 我在信箱里发现了这封通知信 |
[03:43] | Tropic of Cancer. Henry Miller. | 《北回归线》,亨利・米勒 |
[03:48] | This case has been turned over to our investigations officer, Mr. Bookman. | 这事儿已经交给我们的调查员 布克曼(意译为“书人”)来办了 |
[03:52] | Bookman? | 布克曼? |
[03:53] | The library investigator’s name is actually Bookman? | 图书馆调查员真叫布克曼? |
[03:56] | -Come on. -It’s true. | – 得了吧 – 是真的 |
[03:58] | That’s amazing. | 太不可思议了 |
[03:59] | That’s like an ice-cream man named Cone. | 这就像个卖冰淇淋的叫科恩一样 (意译为冰淇淋甜筒上堆成的圆锥) |
[04:02] | Well, Lieutenant Bookman’s been working here 25 years… | 布克曼先生已经在这儿 工作了二十五年了 |
[04:05] | …so he’s heard all the jokes. | 你们这种笑话他早见识过了 |
[04:06] | -Can I speak with this Bookman? -Just a second. | – 我能和这位布克曼谈谈吗? – 稍等 |
[04:12] | Jerry. | 杰瑞 |
[04:15] | What? | 什么? |
[04:17] | I think I saw him. | 我想我看到他了 |
[04:18] | -I think it’s him. -Who? | – 我觉得就是他 – 谁? |
[04:21] | Did you see the homeless guy on the library steps… | 你看到图书馆台阶儿上那个流浪汉了吗? |
[04:23] | …screaming obscenities and doing callisthenics? | 满嘴污言秽语 还做体操的那个? |
[04:25] | -Yeah. -I think that’s Mr. Heyman. | – 看到了 – 我觉得他就是海曼先生 |
[04:29] | The gym teacher from our high school. | 咱们高中的体育老师! |
[04:33] | -Heyman? Are you sure? -He’s older… | – 海曼?你确定? – 他更老了… |
[04:36] | …completely covered in filth, no whistle. But I think it’s him. | 浑身脏兮兮的,没戴哨子 不过我觉得就是他 |
[04:42] | George got him fired. He squealed on him. | 乔治让他丢了饭碗 给他打了小报告 |
[04:45] | -Oh, tattletale. -I didn’t tattle. | – 哦,给人小鞋儿穿 – 我没有告密 |
[04:49] | Well, what did this guy do? What happened? | 那这人到底做了什么? 是怎么回事? |
[04:51] | There was an incident. I’d rather not discuss it. | 一起事故而以,我宁愿不谈这个 |
[04:53] | -Oh, come on. You can tell me. -Some other time. | – 哦,得了,说说 – 以后吧 |
[04:56] | What, tonight? | 今晚吗? |
[04:58] | -I never figured you for a squealer. -He sang like a canary. | – 我从没想过你会告别人的状 – 哦,他歌声像金丝雀般动听 (说得比唱得好听) |
[05:02] | -Mr. Bookman’s not here. -Not here? | – 布克曼先生不在 – 不在? |
[05:04] | -Why was I told to come down here? -He’ll be out all afternoon on a case. | – 那干嘛让我到这儿来? – 他这一下午都要在外面办事 |
[05:08] | He’s out on a case? He actually goes out on cases? | 在外面办事? 他真得出去办事了? |
[05:12] | What am I supposed to do now? | 那我现在该怎么办? |
[05:13] | I’ll have Mr. Bookman get in touch with you. | 我会让布克曼先生和您联系的 |
[05:16] | All right. Thanks. | 好吧,谢谢 |
[05:18] | -Come on, let’s go. -Let’s go see if it’s Heyman. | – 来吧,咱们走 – 咱们去看看那是不是海曼 |
[05:20] | -It’s not him. -Hey, I’ll see you boys later, huh? | – 肯定不是他 – 嘿,咱们过会儿再见哈 |
[05:28] | So, what’s a guy gotta do around here to get a library card? | 那你们这儿怎么办借书证啊? |
[05:43] | -Where’s Karen? -She went to pick up lunch. | – 凯伦在哪儿? – 她去拿午饭了 |
[05:47] | Well… | 可… |
[05:49] | …she didn’t ask me what I wanted. | 她没问我想要吃什么啊 |
[05:51] | She must’ve forgot. | 她肯定是忘了 |
[05:55] | How could she forget? I’ve been ordering lunch… | 她怎么能忘了呢? 我一直订午饭… |
[05:57] | …every day for three and a half years. | 三年半了,每天都订 |
[05:59] | Is there something you’re not telling me… | 是不是你有什么事瞒着我… |
[06:01] | …because I’m getting, like, a really weird vibe. | 因为我变得越来越怪 还神经兮兮的 |
[06:05] | Is Lippman getting rid of me? You can tell me. | 是李普曼要甩了我吗? 没关系,你可以告诉我 |
[06:07] | -I won’t say anything. -I don’t know anything. | – 我保证守口如瓶 – 我什么也不知道啊 |
[06:11] | You don’t know. You see, “I don’t know anything”… | 你不知道,你说: “我什么也不知道”… |
[06:13] | …means there’s something to know. If you really didn’t, you’d say: | 就表示真的有事情 你要真不知道的话,就会说: |
[06:16] | “You’re crazy.” | “你神经病啊” |
[06:18] | -Oh, hi, Mr. Lippman. -Elaine. | – 哦,你好,李普曼先生 – 伊莲 |
[06:22] | I was wondering if you got a chance… | 我想知道您有没有… |
[06:24] | …to look at that biography of Columbus I gave you. | 看我给您的那本哥伦布的传记 |
[06:28] | Yes, I did. | 是的,我看了 |
[06:31] | Yes, I did. | 是的,我看了 |
[06:34] | -Marie, this water is still too cold. -Oh, yeah. It’s freezing. | – 玛莉,这水还是太凉了 – 是啊,这水冰得很 |
[06:40] | Hurts your teeth. | 冰得砸牙 |
[06:47] | I’m telling you, something is going on. | 我跟你们说 这里真的有事儿 |
[06:49] | He never likes anything I recommend, and then that lunch thing. | 我推荐的东西他都不喜欢 还有午饭这件事 |
[06:53] | So they forgot to get your lunch. Big deal. | 这么说他们忘了给你拿午饭了 多大件事儿啊 |
[06:55] | What do you know? You’ve never worked in an office. | 你知道什么? 你又没在办公室里工作过 |
[06:58] | See, you’ve worked in an office, George. You understand. | 那,你坐过办公室 乔治,你明白 |
[07:00] | Jerry thinks I’m overreacting, but you understand lunch. | 杰瑞觉得我反应过度了 可你知道的,那可是午饭啊 |
[07:04] | I don’t understand lunch. I don’t know anything about it. | 我不知道午饭 我对那个一无所知 |
[07:07] | Just because I got the guy fired doesn’t mean I turned him into a bum, does it? | 听着,我让人丢了饭碗 并不表示我让他变成流浪汉,对吧? |
[07:10] | -What did he do? -He purposely… | – 他做了什么? – 他故意… |
[07:12] | …mispronounced my name. | 念错我的名字 |
[07:14] | Instead of saying Costanza… | 他不说“克斯坦萨” |
[07:16] | …he’d say, ” Can’t stand you. Can’t stand you.” | 总是说:“砍死他撒 砍死他撒”(意译:我不明白你) |
[07:21] | Remember, he made me smell my own gym socks once? | 还记得吗,他有一次让我 闻自己的臭袜子 |
[07:24] | I remember he made you wear a jock on your head for a whole class. | 我记得他还让你把内裤戴在头上 戴了整整一堂课 |
[07:28] | -And the straps were hanging down… -Okay, okay. | – 那个带子就这么垂下来… – 行了,行了 |
[07:31] | You never even had him for gym. | 你没上过他的体育课 |
[07:33] | I had him for hygiene. Remember his teeth? | 我上过他的卫生课 记得他的牙吗? |
[07:35] | It was like from an exhumed corpse. | 就跟从地里掘出来的尸体的一样 |
[07:38] | Little baked beans. | 一嘴小米粒子牙 |
[07:42] | Come on, tell me what happened. | 说嘛,到底怎么回事 |
[07:45] | Well, okay. | 唉,好吧 |
[07:47] | As I said, the guy had it in for me. | 我说过的,这家伙讨厌我 |
[07:50] | He actually failed me in gym. Me. | 他给我体育不及格,真的 |
[07:54] | And those spastic Schnitzer twins. | 还有那对儿抽筋儿的史尼策双胞胎 |
[07:57] | -Can’t stand you! -Yes, Mr. Heyman? | – 砍死他撒! – 什么事,海曼先生? |
[08:00] | Your underwear was sticking out of your shorts during gym class. | 你的内裤在体育课时露在短裤外面了 |
[08:03] | Well, that’s because I wear boxer shorts. | 额,因为我穿得是拳击短裤 |
[08:05] | Boxer shorts, huh? | 拳击短裤,哈? |
[08:07] | -What brand? -I’m not really sure. L… | – 什么牌儿的? – 我也不很清楚,我… |
[08:09] | Yeah, well, let’s take a look! | 啊,好,那咱们看看吧 |
[08:12] | He gave me a wedgie. | 他给我了个“挤挤” |
[08:14] | And he got fired the next day. | 第二天他就被炒了 |
[08:16] | Why do they call it a “wedgie”? | 为什么叫“挤挤” |
[08:18] | Because the underwear is pulled up from the back until it… | 因为他们把内裤从后面拉起来直到它… |
[08:22] | …wedges in. | 挤进去 |
[08:24] | They also have an atomic wedgie. | 还有一种叫“核弹挤挤”的 |
[08:27] | Now, the goal there is to actually get the waistband… | 就是把裤腰的部分… |
[08:31] | …on top of the head. | 拉到头上来 |
[08:33] | It’s very rare. | 很少见的 |
[08:36] | -Boys are sick. -Well, what do girls do? | – 男生真变态 – 那你们女生呢? |
[08:39] | We just tease someone till they develop an eating disorder. | 我们就是逗弄一个人 直到她患上饮食失调 |
[08:44] | I gotta go back to the library and talk to him. | 我得回图书馆,和他谈谈 |
[08:46] | I gotta find out if I’m the guy that ruined his life. | 我得知道是不是我毁了他的人生 |
[08:49] | Hey, babaloo, you better get home. | 嘿,哥们儿,你最好回家去 |
[08:51] | This guy Bookman from the library, he’s waiting for you. | 图书馆的那个布克曼 他正等着你呢 |
[08:54] | What’s amazing about the library… | 图书馆的妙处就在于… |
[08:56] | …is here’s a place where you can go in… | 在这里你可以直接走进去… |
[08:58] | …take out any book you want. They just give it to you… | 随意拿起你想看的书 他们就给你了… |
[09:01] | …and say, ” Bring it back when you’re done.” | 跟你说:“看完拿回来哈” |
[09:03] | Reminds you of that pathetic friend everybody had as a kid… | 让人想起孩提时大家都 有的那种可怜兮兮的朋友… |
[09:06] | …that would let you borrow any of his stuff if you would just be his friend. | 他让你借走他的任何东西 只要你做他的朋友就成 |
[09:10] | That’s what the library is. It’s a government-funded pathetic friend. | 图书馆就是这样 它是政府资助的可怜朋友 |
[09:14] | That’s why everybody bullies the library. | 这就是为什么大家都欺负图书馆 |
[09:16] | “I’ll bring it back on time, I’ll bring it back late. | “我准时还,我晚些还” |
[09:18] | What are you gonna do, charge me a nickel? “ | “你能把我怎么样? 罚我五分钱?” |
[09:23] | I’m glad you’re here so we can straighten this out. | 您能来我很高兴 咱们可以把这事儿说说清楚了 |
[09:25] | -Cup of tea? -Got any coffee? | – 来杯茶? – 有咖啡吗? |
[09:26] | -Coffee? -Yeah, coffee. | – 咖啡? – 对,咖啡 |
[09:28] | -No, I don’t drink coffee. -You don’t? | – 没有,我不喝咖啡 – 你不喝? |
[09:30] | -How about instant coffee? -No, I don’t… | – 那速溶咖啡呢? – 没有,我不… |
[09:32] | -No instant coffee? -Well, I don’t… | – 速溶的也没有? – 嗯,我不… |
[09:34] | -Who doesn’t have instant coffee? -I don’t. | – 谁没有罐儿速溶咖啡呢? – 我没有 |
[09:36] | Buy a jar of Folgers crystals, put it in the cupboard, you forget about it. | 买一罐儿福尔杰速溶咖啡放橱柜里 之后就把它忘了 |
[09:39] | When you need it, it’s there. It lasts forever. | 等你需要的时候,它还在那儿 一罐恒久远 |
[09:41] | It’s freeze-dried. Freeze-dried crystals. | 咖啡是冻干的 冻干的晶状咖啡 |
[09:45] | Really? I’ll have to remember that. | 是么?我得记住这些 |
[09:47] | -You took this book out in 1971. -Yes, and I returned it in 1971. | – 你1971年借了这本书 – 是的,我1971年就还了 |
[09:51] | Yeah, ’71, that was my first year on the job. | 是啊,71年是我第一年参加工作 |
[09:53] | Bad year for libraries. Bad year for America. | 那是图书馆的厄运年 是美国的厄运年 |
[09:57] | Hippies burning library cards. | 嬉皮士烧毁图书卡 |
[09:59] | Abbie Hoffman telling everybody to steal books. | 艾比・霍夫曼(美60年代“反文化”运动领袖) 让大家都去偷书 |
[10:01] | I don’t judge a man by hair length or musical taste. | 我不会凭一个人的头发长短 和音乐品味去判断他 |
[10:04] | Rock was never my bag. | 摇滚乐跟我无缘 |
[10:05] | But you put on a pair of shoes in the New York Public Library, fella. | 可你要敢在纽约公共图书馆 打扮成那样,我要你好看 |
[10:09] | Look, Mr. Bookman… | 布克曼先生,你看 |
[10:13] | …I returned that book. I remember it very specifically. | 我确实还了 我记得很清楚 |
[10:15] | You’re a comedian. You make people laugh. | 你是个喜剧演员 是让人们笑的 |
[10:18] | -I try. -You think this is all a big joke? | – 我尽自己所能 – 所以你觉得这事儿就是个大笑话?! |
[10:22] | No, I don’t. | 不,我没有 |
[10:23] | I saw you on TV once. I remembered your name from my list. | 我在电视上看到过你 想起来欠书名单上有你的名字 |
[10:26] | I looked it up. Sure enough, it checked out. | 我就查了一下 果不其然,还真有你 |
[10:29] | You think because you’re a celebrity, somehow the law doesn’t apply? | 你以为自己是个名人 法律就管不了你了? |
[10:32] | -You’re above the law? -Certainly not. | – 你就可以凌驾于法律之上? – 当然不是 |
[10:34] | Well, let me tell you something, funny boy. | 那我告诉你,搞笑的小子 |
[10:37] | You know that little stamp, the one that says “New York Public Library”? | 你知道那枚小小的印章 那刻有“纽约公共图书馆”的印章 |
[10:40] | That may not mean anything to you. | 它对你也许毫无意义 |
[10:42] | But that means a lot to me. One whole hell of a lot. | 可对我却意义重大 重大得简直无以复加 |
[10:44] | Sure, go ahead. Laugh if you want to. I’ve seen your type before. | 笑,笑啊,想笑你就笑 我见过你这号人 |
[10:47] | Flashy, making a scene, flaunting convention. | 浮于表面,总是大吵大闹 招摇过市 |
[10:51] | Yeah, I know what you’re thinking: | 是,我知道你怎么想的 |
[10:53] | “Why’s this guy making such a stink about old library books?” | 你想:“这家伙干嘛这么大惊小怪的 不就一本破书么” |
[10:56] | Well, let me give you a hint, junior. | 好,那我再告诉告诉你,小子 |
[10:59] | Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me. Maybe. | 也许没有图书馆,我们可以生活 也许,像你我这样的人可以 |
[11:02] | Sure, we’re too old to change the world. | 我们已经老了,不能去改变世界 |
[11:04] | But what about that kid sitting down opening a book right now… | 可那些现在正坐下来 看书的孩子们呢… |
[11:07] | …in a branch at the local library… | 他们在当地的图书馆里… |
[11:10] | …and finding drawings of pee-pees and wee-wees… | 看着《帽子里的猫》和 《中国五兄弟》里面… |
[11:15] | …in The Cat in the Hat and The Five Chinese Brothers? | 嘘嘘的图片 |
[11:18] | Doesn’t he deserve better? | 他们不是应该得到更多吗? |
[11:20] | Look, if you think this is about overdue fines and missing books… | 要是你觉得这事儿只不过 是过期欠款和丢书而已的话… |
[11:23] | …you better think again. This is about that kid’s right… | 你就大错特错了 这事关孩子们的权益… |
[11:26] | …to read a book without getting his mind warped. | 他们有权在阅读的同时思想不被歪曲 |
[11:28] | Or maybe that turns you on, Seinfeld. | 也许这些话能让你有所领悟,宋飞 |
[11:30] | Maybe that’s how you get your kicks, you and your good-time buddies. | 也许你就应该被这样教训一下 你和你那帮死党 |
[11:34] | Well, I got a flash for you, joy-boy: | 现在我要点醒你了,快乐男孩 |
[11:40] | Party time is over. | 派对结束了 |
[11:43] | You got seven days, Seinfeld. | 你有七天时间,宋飞 |
[11:46] | That is one week. | 也就是一个星期 |
[11:53] | -What’s wrong? -It’s Bookman, the library cop. | – 怎么了? – 是布克曼,图书馆督察 |
[11:57] | -So? I didn’t do anything wrong. -I’m supposed to be at work. | – 那又怎么样?我又没做错什么 – 我现在应该上班的 |
[12:00] | I could get fired. I never should’ve come here. | 我会被解雇的 我真不该到这儿来 |
[12:04] | Why don’t you leave? | 那你为什么不走呢? |
[12:10] | I can’t. | 我不能啊 |
[12:14] | There’s no way I’m paying that! I returned that book in 1971! | 我不会付欠款的! 那书我1971年就还了! |
[12:18] | I have a witness. Sherry Becker. | 我有证人,她叫雪莉・贝克 |
[12:21] | She wore an orange dress. | 她穿着橙色的裙子 |
[12:24] | She gave me a piece of Black Jack gum. | 还给我一片超醒口香糖 |
[12:25] | I said, ” Liquorice gum. What will they think of next?” | 我说:“甘草口香糖 他们接下来会怎么想呢?” |
[12:29] | I remember it! | 我都记得的! |
[12:36] | Becker, Becker… | 贝克,贝克… |
[12:49] | Kevin went to a public school. | 凯文上的公立学校 |
[12:51] | He’s the 14 year old. | 他14岁 |
[12:53] | We were gonna send Marsha to a private school… | 我们那时想让玛莎去私立学校… |
[12:56] | …because in some ways, they don’t… | 因为在某些方面,他们… |
[12:59] | …learn enough, I think. | 学到的不够多,我这么想 |
[13:02] | So, Sherry, what do you remember about that day at the library? | 那么,雪莉,你还记得 我们在图书馆那天的事吗? |
[13:06] | I remember it like it was yesterday. | 我记忆犹新 |
[13:09] | It was a Friday afternoon. | 那是个周五的下午 |
[13:11] | -I wore a purple dress. -Purple? | – 我穿着一条紫色的裙子 – 紫色的? |
[13:15] | -You sure it wasn’t orange? -Positive. | – 你确定不是橙色的? – 当然了 |
[13:17] | And I was chewing Dentyne. | 我嘴里嚼着健齿口香糖 |
[13:20] | I always chewed Dentyne. | 我总是嚼健齿的 |
[13:23] | Remember, Jerry? Dentyne? | 记得吗,杰瑞?健齿? |
[13:28] | -No Black Jack? -Liquorice gum? Never. | – 不是超醒? – 甘草口香糖?从没嚼过 |
[13:32] | What else? | 还有呢? |
[13:34] | We were… | 我们… |
[13:35] | …reading passages to each other from that Henry Miller book you had. | 那时在看你借的那本亨利・米勒的书 彼此读给对方听 |
[13:40] | -Tropic of Cancer. -No. | – 《北回归线》 – 不是 |
[13:42] | Tropic of Capricorn. | 是《南回归线》 |
[13:44] | -Tropic of Capricorn? -Remember? | – 《南回归线》? – 还记得吗? |
[13:49] | “What holds the world together… | “到底是什么令世界连在一起…” |
[13:51] | …as I have learned from bitter experience… | “我历经苦难,终于发现那就是…” |
[13:56] | …is sexual intercourse. “ | 做爱” |
[14:02] | Wait a second, wait a second. You’re right. I had both of them. | 等一下,你是对的 我两本都借了 |
[14:06] | We read from Tropic of Capricorn. | 我们读的是《南回归线》 |
[14:07] | I was all set to return Tropic of Cancer. And then… | 我本来准备好去还《北回归线》的 然后… |
[14:12] | -George, here’s the book. -Oh, man. | – 乔治,给你书 – 哦,天哪 |
[14:14] | Don’t let anybody see it. Don’t let anything happen to it. | 别让别人看到啊 别让这书发生不测 |
[14:17] | Jerry, it’s me, George. Don’t worry. I’ll return it tomorrow. | 杰瑞,我你还信不过吗 别担心,我明天就还 |
[14:19] | All right. I’ll see you after school. I’m late for Heyman’s hygiene. | 好,那放学以后见 海曼的卫生课,我要迟到了 |
[14:25] | -Where are you going? -It was nice seeing you again. | – 你去哪儿? – 很高兴能再见到你 |
[14:28] | I just remembered something. I’ve gotta go. | 我刚想起来一些事 我得走了 |
[14:31] | It was George! | 是乔治! |
[14:35] | Read another poem. | 再读一首诗 |
[14:37] | Pressed chest Fleshed out west | 压抑的胸膛 有血有肉的西方 |
[14:41] | Might be the saviour | 也许是救世主 |
[14:43] | Or a garden pest | 也许是害虫栖息在花房 |
[14:46] | That is great poetry. You should be published. | 这诗棒极了 你应该发表 |
[14:50] | It’s great. | 太棒了 |
[14:54] | Well, the library’s kind of a cool place when it’s closed. | 图书馆关闭的时候感觉还蛮好的 |
[14:57] | Oh, yeah. You don’t have to be quiet. | 是啊,你不用再保持安静了 |
[14:59] | Listen to the echo. | 听听这回声 |
[15:01] | – Hello! | – Hello! – 喂! – 喂! |
[15:05] | -Hello! -Hello. | – 喂! – 喂 |
[15:10] | Mr. Bookman. | 布克曼先生 |
[15:12] | I remember when the librarian was a much older woman. | 我记得以前的图书馆员 是个老得多的女人 |
[15:15] | Kindly, discreet, unattractive. | 和善,谨慎,没有吸引力 |
[15:18] | We didn’t know anything about her private life. | 我们对她的私生活一无所知 |
[15:20] | We didn’t wanna know about her private life. | 我们也不想了解她的私生活 |
[15:23] | She didn’t have a private life. | 她根本就没有私生活 |
[15:25] | When you think about that, think about this: | 想想这个,记住: |
[15:27] | The library closes at 5:00, no exceptions. | 图书馆5点钟闭馆 没有例外 |
[15:30] | This is your final warning. | 这是给你的最后警告 |
[15:32] | Got that, kewpie doll? | 明白?丘比特娃娃 |
[15:38] | Lippman wants to see me in his office. | 李普曼要我去他办公室见他 |
[15:41] | -See me. That can’t be good. -Maybe you’re getting a raise. | – 见他,准没好事 – 也许你要被提升了 |
[15:45] | Maybe I’m getting a wedgie. | 也许我要被弄“挤挤”了 |
[15:50] | -What? -It’s George. | – 谁啊? – 是我,乔治 |
[15:53] | -George is on his way up. -Wait till I tell him about the book. | – 乔治要上来了 – 等下,我和他说书的事 |
[15:58] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧? |
[16:00] | -What? -It’s… It’s Marion’s poetry. | – 怎么了? – 是…是玛丽昂的诗 |
[16:05] | -I can’t take it! -Oh, Kramer. | – 我受不了了! – 哦,克莱默 |
[16:13] | Remember that biography I recommended? | 记得我推荐的那本传记吗? |
[16:16] | -My boss hated it! -I’m right here. | – 我老板讨厌它! – 我在这儿呢 |
[16:18] | Oh, sorry. | 哦,不好意思 |
[16:21] | -Remember that Columbus book? -Columbus. Eurotrash. | – 那本哥伦布的书,记得吗? – 哥伦布,欧洲垃圾 |
[16:37] | Well, it’s definitely him. | 嗯,真的是他 |
[16:42] | -Him? Him who? -Him who? | – 他?哪个他? – 哪个他? |
[16:45] | Heyman him. | 海曼呗 |
[16:47] | Heyman, the gym teacher? | 海曼,那个体育老师? |
[16:49] | -You found him? -Oh, I found him. | – 你找到他了? – 哦,我找到他了 |
[16:52] | He was sitting on the steps of the library. | 他坐在图书馆的台阶上 |
[16:54] | I sat down next to him. | 我坐在他身边 |
[16:56] | He smelled like the locker room after that game against Erasmus. | 那股味儿就跟那次和伊拉茨马斯 比赛以后更衣室里的一样 |
[16:59] | That was double overtime. | 哦,那次打了两个加时 |
[17:01] | I said, ” Mr. Heyman… | 我说:“海曼先生…” |
[17:03] | …it’s me, George Costanza. | “是我啊,乔治・克斯坦萨” |
[17:06] | JFK, ’71. “ | “71年的初中生” |
[17:09] | He doesn’t move. | 他动都没动 |
[17:11] | So I said: | 我又说: |
[17:12] | “Can’t stand you. Can’t stand you.” | “砍死他撒,砍死他撒” |
[17:17] | He turns and smiles. | 他转过来笑了 |
[17:20] | The little baked-bean teeth. | 满嘴的小黄米粒子牙 |
[17:23] | I get up to run away… | 我站起来要走… |
[17:25] | …but something was holding me back. | 后面有东西把我拽住了 |
[17:29] | It was Heyman. | 是海曼 |
[17:33] | He had my underwear. | 他抓着我的内裤 |
[17:37] | Here I was on the steps of the 42nd Street library… | 我就这么站在42大街图书馆的台阶上… |
[17:42] | …a grown man… | 一个成年人… |
[17:45] | …getting a wedgie. | 被人给“挤挤”了 |
[17:49] | At least it wasn’t atomic. | 至少不是核弹级的 |
[17:53] | It was. | 是核弹级的 |
[17:58] | So, Georgie boy, guess what happened to Tropic of Cancer. | 我说,乔治,你知道 那本《北回归线》在哪儿吗? |
[18:03] | -How should I know? -Because I gave it to you. | – 我怎么知道? – 因为我给了你啊 |
[18:05] | -Me? -Yeah, think. | – 我? – 对,你想想 |
[18:06] | Don’t you remember? You kept begging me to see it. | 不记得了?你一直 求我把它借你看看 |
[18:09] | Then finally, I agreed. | 最后我同意了 |
[18:11] | You were supposed to return it. | 你应该把它还了的 |
[18:14] | I met you in the gym locker room and gave it to you. | 我在更衣室里见到你 把书给你了 |
[18:18] | The locker room. | 更衣室 |
[18:20] | -George, here’s the book. -Oh, man. | – 乔治,给你书 – 哦,天哪 |
[18:22] | Don’t let anybody see it. Don’t let anything happen to it. | 别让别人看到啊 别让这书发生不测 |
[18:24] | It’s me, George. Don’t worry. I’ll return it tomorrow. | 杰瑞,我你还信不过吗 别担心,我明天就还 |
[18:27] | All right. I’ll see you after school. I’m late for Heyman’s hygiene. | 好,那放学以后见 海曼的卫生课,我要迟到了 |
[18:34] | -Can’t stand you! -Yes, Mr. Heyman? | – 砍死他撒! – 什么事,海曼先生? |
[18:36] | Your underwear was sticking out of your shorts during gym class. | 你的内裤在体育课时露在短裤外面了 |
[18:40] | -That’s because I wear boxer shorts. -Boxer shorts, huh? | – 额,因为我穿得是拳击短裤 – 拳击短裤,哈? |
[18:43] | -What brand? -I’m not really sure. | – 什么牌儿的? – 我也不很清楚 |
[18:45] | Yeah, well, let’s take a look! | 啊,好,那咱们看看吧 |
[19:00] | Anyway, I hope there’s no hard feelings. | 不管怎样,我希望这不会让您不好受 |
[19:05] | Hard feelings? What do you know about hard feelings? | 不好受?你知道什么叫不好受? |
[19:10] | Ever have a man die in your arms? Ever kill somebody? | 有人在你的臂弯中死去吗? 有杀过人吗? |
[19:13] | -What is your problem? -What’s my problem? | – 你怎么了? – 我怎么了? |
[19:16] | Punks like you. That’s my problem. | 像你这样的小阿飞 就让我成这样了 |
[19:18] | You better not screw up again, Seinfeld. | 你最好别再嚣张,宋飞 |
[19:20] | Because if you do, I’ll be all over you like a pit bull on a poodle. | 犯到我手里,我就会让你好看 (直译:斗牛犬vs.狮子狗儿) |
[19:27] | That is one tough monkey. | 真是个倔老猴子 |
[19:30] | -So you were saying? -So I took your suggestion… | – 你刚说什么? – 哦,我听从了你的建议… |
[19:34] | …and I gave my boss Marion’s poems… | 把玛丽昂的诗拿给我老板看… |
[19:37] | …the ones that affected Kramer so much. | 那些令克莱默感动不已的诗 |
[19:39] | -Oh, beautiful. Did he like them? -No, he didn’t. | – 哦,很好啊,他喜欢么? – 不,他不喜欢 |
[19:44] | No, he didn’t. | 不,他不喜欢 |
[19:48] | -Was he out there? -No, he’s gone. | – 他在外面吗? – 不,他走了 |
[19:52] | -I wonder what happened to him. -I guess we’ll never know. | – 我想知道他怎么样了 – 我想我们永远也不会知道了 |
[20:02] | Can’t stand you. | 砍死他撒 |
[20:04] | Can’t stand you. Can’t stand you. | 砍死他撒,砍死他撒 |
[20:09] | Can’t stand you. | 砍死他撒 |
[20:13] | Any day that you had gym… | 每个有体育课的日子… |
[20:16] | …was a weird school day. | 都会显得很奇怪 |
[20:18] | You know what I mean? It started off kind of normal. | 明白我的意思吗? 一开始一切都很正常 |
[20:20] | You have, like, English, geometry, social studies… | 就像上英语,几何,社会学… |
[20:23] | …and then suddenly, you’re, like, in Lord of the Flies for 40 minutes. | 然后突然之间,就像是过 足足40分钟《蝇王》式的生活一样 |
[20:26] | You’re hanging from a rope. You have hardly any clothes on. | 人在绳子上荡来荡去 几乎衣不蔽体 |
[20:30] | Teachers are yelling at you, “Where’s your jockstrap?” You know. | 老师冲你大喊大叫: “你的下体护身呢?!” |
[20:33] | Kids are throwing dodge balls at you. You’re trying to survive. | 学生们朝你扔躲避球 你还要努力生存下来 |
[20:38] | Then it’s history… | 然后又是历史课… |
[20:39] | …science, language. | 自然科学,语言学 |
[20:41] | There’s something off in the whole flow of that day. | 就像是那一天的生活 在哪里被截断了似的 |