英文名称:Oppenheimer
年代:2023
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:31] | “PROMETHEUS STOLE FIRE FROM THE GODS AND GAVE IT TO MAN.” | “普罗米修斯从众神那里窃取火种并将其送给了人类” |
[01:35] | “FOR THIS HE WAS CHAINED TO A ROCK AND TORTURED FOR ETERNITY.” | “为此 他被锁在岩石上 永生永世遭受折磨” |
[01:48] | Dr. Oppenheimer. | 奥本海默博士 |
[01:51] | Dr. Oppenheimer. | 奥本海默博士 |
[01:54] | As we begin, I believe you have a statement to read into the record. | 开始的时候 我希望你宣读一份声明记录在案 |
[01:59] | Yes, your honor. | 好的 法官大人 |
[02:00] | -We’re not judges, Doctor. -No. | -我们不是法官 博士 -明白 |
[02:10] | Members of the security board, | 各位安全委员会成员 |
[02:13] | the so-called interrogatory information in your indictment of me | 你们在阅读我的起诉书中所谓的审讯信息时 |
[02:16] | cannot be fairly understood except in the context | 如果不结合我的生活和工作 |
[02:19] | of my life, and my work. | 是无法公正地理解的 |
[02:22] | How long did he testify? | 他作证多久了? |
[02:25] | Honestly, I forget. | 说实话 我忘了 |
[02:28] | The whole hearing took a month. | 整个听证会持续了一个月 |
[02:30] | -An ordeal. -Oh, I’ve only read the transcripts. | -一场磨难 -哦 我只读了文字记录 |
[02:36] | -Who’d want to justify their whole life? -You weren’t there? | -谁愿意公开自己的一生呢? -你当时不在场吗? |
[02:39] | As chairman, I wasn’t allowed to be. | 作为主席 我不能出现 |
[02:41] | Are they really going to ask about it? | 他们真的会问吗? |
[02:44] | It was years ago. | 那是几年前的事了 |
[02:45] | -Four years ago. -Five. | -四年前 -五 |
[02:48] | Oppenheimer still divides America. | 奥本海默仍然分裂美国 |
[02:49] | The committee’s going to want to know where you stood. | 委员会想知道你的立场 |
[02:52] | Senator Thurmond asked me to say not to feel that you’re on trial. | 瑟蒙德参议员让我说不要觉得你在受审 |
[02:56] | Oh, funny. I didn’t, until you just said that. | 有意思 你这么说我才觉得 |
[02:59] | -Really, Mr. Strauss… -It’s Admiral. | -真的 施特劳斯先生…… -是将军 |
[03:01] | Admiral. Admiral Strauss, this is a formality. | 施特劳斯将军 这只是例行公事 |
[03:04] | President Eisenhower has asked you to be in his cabinet. | 艾森豪威尔总统钦点你加入他的内阁 |
[03:07] | The Senate really has no choice but to confirm him. | 参议院别无选择 只能确认他的任命 |
[03:08] | And if they bring up Oppenheimer? | 如果他们提到奥本海默呢? |
[03:11] | When they bring up Oppenheimer, you answer honestly, | 要是他们提到奥本海默 你就如实回答 |
[03:13] | no senator can deny you did your duty. | 没有参议员能否认你尽了自己的职责 |
[03:16] | It’ll be uncomfortable. | 确实很不舒服 |
[03:18] | Who’d want to justify their whole life? | 谁愿意公开自己的一生呢? |
[03:25] | Why did you leave the United States? | 你为什么离开美国? |
[03:30] | I… I wanted to study the new physics. | 我……我想学习新物理学 |
[03:33] | Was there nowhere here? | 在美国不行吗? |
[03:35] | I thought Berkeley had the leading theoretical physics department. | 我以为伯克利大学有一流的理论物理系 |
[03:39] | Yes, once I built it. | 是的 直到我创建它 |
[03:42] | But first I had to go to Europe. | 但我得先去欧洲 |
[03:43] | I went to Cambridge, to study under Patrick Blackett. | 我去了剑桥 跟随帕特里克·布莱克特学习 |
[03:46] | Were you happier there than in America? | 你在那里比在美国更快乐吗? |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:2455个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:610个,六级词汇:345个,GRE词汇:357个,托福词汇:508个,考研词汇:653个,专四词汇:561个,专八词汇:109个, 所有生词标注共:1106个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[03:49] | -Happier? -Yes. | -更快乐? -是的 |
[03:55] | No. | 不 |
[03:57] | No, I, uh… | 不 我 呃…… |
[04:01] | I was homesick and… | 我想家了 而且…… |
[04:04] | emotionally immature… | 情感很不成熟…… |
[04:07] | Troubled by visions of a… | 被隐藏宇宙的…… |
[04:10] | hidden universe. | 幻象所折磨 |
[04:24] | Useless in the lab. | 做实验笨手笨脚 |
[04:30] | Christ, Oppenheimer. | 天啊 奥本海默 |
[04:32] | Have you had any sleep? | 没睡好觉吗? |
[04:36] | Start again. | 再来 |
[04:38] | I need to go to a lecture, sir. | 我要去听讲座 先生 |
[04:40] | Why? | 为什么? |
[04:41] | It’s Niels Bohr. | 是尼尔斯·玻尔 |
[04:46] | I completely forgot. | 我完全忘了 |
[04:48] | Alright! Let’s go. | 好了 我们走 |
[04:52] | Oh no, not you, Oppenheimer. | 不 不是说你 奥本海默 |
[04:54] | You finish coating those plates. | 你得把这些盘子收好 |
[05:36] | Quantum physics is not a step forward. | 量子物理学不是向前迈出的一步 |
[05:40] | It is a new way to understand reality. | 而是一种理解现实的新方法 |
[05:43] | Einstein’s opened the door. | 爱因斯坦打开了门 |
[05:45] | Now we are peering through, seeing a world inside our world, | 透过它 我们现在看到了一个我们世界里的世界 |
[05:50] | a world of energy and paradox that not everyone can accept. | 一个充满能量和矛盾的世界 不是每个人都能接受的 |
[06:39] | You alright? | 你没事吧? |
[06:41] | Nils, meet J. Robert Oppenheimer. | 尼尔斯 这位是J·罗伯特·奥本海默 |
[06:43] | What’s the J stand for? | J代表什么? |
[06:45] | Nothing, apparently. | 什么也没有 |
[06:46] | You were at my lecture. You asked the only good question. | 你听了我的讲座 问了唯一一个好问题 |
[06:49] | No one’s denying his insight. | 没人否认他的洞察力 |
[06:51] | It’s his laboratory work that leaves a little to be desired. | 但他做实验有点不尽如人意 |
[06:54] | I heard you give the same answer… | 我听了你同样的回答…… |
[06:55] | At Harvard, yes, and you asked the same question. | 在哈佛 是的 你问了同样的问题 |
[06:58] | Why ask again? | 为什么又问? |
[06:59] | I hadn’t liked your answer. | 我不喜欢你的回答 |
[07:02] | -Did you like it better yesterday? -A lot. | -你比较喜欢昨天的? -好多了 |
[07:05] | You can lift a stone without being ready for the snake that’s revealed. | 在你准备好对付蛇之前 千万不要搬开大石头 |
[07:10] | Now it seems you’re ready. | 现在看来你已经准备好了 |
[07:12] | But you don’t enjoy the lab. | 但你不喜欢实验室 |
[07:14] | So get out of Cambridge, with its beakers and potions. | 所以离开剑桥的瓶瓶罐罐吧 |
[07:17] | Go somewhere they’ll let you think. | 去一个能让你思考的地方 |
[07:21] | Where? | 去哪好? |
[07:23] | -Göttingen. -Born. | -哥廷根 -波恩 |
[07:25] | Born. | 对 波恩 |
[07:26] | Get to Germany, study under Max Born, learn the ways of theory. | 去德国 投入马克斯·玻恩门下 学习理论物理学 |
[07:31] | I’ll send word. | 我为你写推荐信 |
[07:33] | Worm hole. | 有虫子 |
[07:36] | How’s your mathematics? | 你的数学怎么样? |
[07:37] | Not good enough for the physicist he wants to be. | 如果他想成为物理学家 可能还不够好 |
[07:40] | Algebra’s like sheet music, | 代数就像音乐 |
[07:42] | the important thing isn’t can you read music, it’s can you hear it. | 重要的不是读懂音乐 而是能听见音乐 |
[07:46] | Can you hear the music, Robert? | 你能听见音乐吗 罗伯特? |
[07:49] | Yes, I can. | 我可以 |
[08:27] | 艾略特 《荒原》(1922) | |
[08:38] | 毕加索 《交叉双臂坐着的女人》 | |
[08:49] | 斯特拉文斯基 《春之祭》(1913) | |
[09:27] | The senator from Wyoming. | 有请怀俄明州参议员 |
[09:29] | Admiral Strauss, I’m interested in your relationship | 施特劳斯将军 我对你和罗伯特·奥本海默博士的关系 |
[09:32] | with Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer. | 很感兴趣 |
[09:34] | You met him in 1947. | 你在1947年认识他 |
[09:37] | Correct. | 没错 |
[09:38] | You were a commissioner of the Atomic Energy Commission. | 你曾担任原子能委员会委员 |
[09:41] | I was, but I actually met Robert in my capacity | 是的 但其实我是以普林斯顿高等研究院 |
[09:44] | as board member of the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton. It was… | 董事会成员的身份认识罗伯特的 战后…… |
[09:49] | after the war, he was world-renowned as the great man of physics, | 他被誉为世界著名的物理学大师 |
[09:52] | and I was determined to get him to run the Institute. | 我决定让他来管理这个研究所 |
[10:06] | Dr. Oppenheimer. An honor. | 奥本海默博士 很荣幸见到你 |
[10:09] | Mr. Strauss. | 施特斯先生 |
[10:10] | It’s pronounced “Strauss”. | 念作“施特劳斯” |
[10:13] | “Oppenheimer”, “Oppenheimer”… | 奥本海姆 奥本海默…… |
[10:14] | Either way you say it, they know I’m Jewish. | 不管你怎么读 他们都知道我是犹太人 |
[10:17] | I’m president of Temple Emanu-El in Manhattan. | 我是曼哈顿的以马内利会堂的主席 |
[10:20] | “Strauss” is just a Southern pronunciation. | “施特劳斯”是南方发音 |
[10:23] | Anyway, welcome to the Institute. I think you’ll be very happy here. | 总之 欢迎来到研究所 我想你在这里会很开心的 |
[10:27] | Yes, well, you’ll love the commute. | 对了 通勤很方便 你会喜欢的 |
[10:29] | The position comes with that house for you and your wife, | 那橦房子就是为你入职后和你妻子准备的 |
[10:31] | and your… is it two children? | 还有你的……是两个孩子吧? |
[10:33] | Yes, two. | 对 两个 |
[10:35] | I’m a great admirer of your work. | 我很欣赏你的工作 |
[10:38] | You’re a physicist by training, Mr. Strauss? | 你是受过正规学习的物理学家吗 施特劳斯先生? |
[10:40] | I’m sorry, uh, common room, four o’clock tea. | 抱歉 这里是公共休息室 四点钟准时提供茶点 |
[10:42] | No, I’m not trained in physics or anything else. | 不 我没有物理或其他方面的证书 |
[10:45] | I’m a self-made man. | 我是自学成材的 |
[10:46] | Ah, I can relate to that. | 啊 我能理解 |
[10:48] | -Really? -Yes, my father was one. | -真的? -是的 我父亲就是这样一个人 |
[10:52] | And this would be your office. | 这将是你的办公室 |
[11:04] | I’m told he’s there in most afternoons. | 我听说他大多数下午都在那里 |
[11:06] | You know, I’ve always wondered | 我想说 我一直很好奇 |
[11:08] | why you didn’t involve him in the Manhattan Project. | 你为什么不让他参与曼哈顿计划 |
[11:13] | Greatest scientific mind of our time. | 他是我们时代最伟大的科学家 |
[11:15] | Of his time. | 是他的时代 |
[11:17] | Einstein published his Theory of Relativity | 爱因斯坦发表相对论 |
[11:20] | more than 40 years ago now. | 已经过去40多年了 |
[11:23] | Could never embrace the quantum world it revealed. | 他永远不能接受已经揭示的量子世界 |
[11:26] | “God doesn’t play dice.” | “上帝不会掷骰子” |
[11:28] | Precisely. | 正是如此 |
[11:30] | You never thought of studying physics formally, Mr. Strauss? | 施特劳斯先生 你从没想过正式学习物理吗? |
[11:32] | I had offers, but… I chose to sell shoes. | 有人曾建议 但是……我选择卖鞋 |
[11:35] | Lewis Strauss was once a lowly shoe salesman. | 谁能想到刘易斯·施特劳斯曾经是个卖鞋的 |
[11:39] | No, just a shoe salesman. | 对 鞋子销售员 |
[11:45] | -I’d love to introduce you. -No need. | -我很乐意为你引见 -不必 |
[11:48] | I’ve known him for years. | 我认识他很多年了 |
[12:12] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[12:18] | What was that? What did you say to him? | 怎么回事? 你对他说什么了? |
[12:24] | Oh, he’s fine. | 噢 没什么 |
[12:27] | Mr. Strauss, there are… things in my past you ought to be aware of. | 施特劳斯先生 我过去……有些事你应该知道的 |
[12:32] | Well, as chairman of the AEC, | 噢 身为原子能委员会主席 |
[12:33] | I have access to your security file. I’ve read it. | 我有权查阅你的安全档案 |
[12:36] | -You’re not worried? -No. | -你不担心吗? -不 |
[12:38] | Why would I be worried, after everything you’ve done for your country? | 你为国家付出这么多 我有什么好担心的? |
[12:40] | Well, times change, Mr. Strauss. | 嗯 时代变了 施特劳斯先生 |
[12:42] | Well, the purpose of this institute | 这个研究所的目的 |
[12:44] | is to provide a haven for independent minds. | 是为独立思想提供避风港 |
[12:47] | That’s you. | 就是你 |
[12:49] | You are the man for the job. | 你是这项工作的最佳人选 |
[12:51] | Well, then I’ll consider it. | 好的 我会考虑的 |
[12:53] | I’ll see you at the AEC meeting tomorrow. | 明天原子能委员会会议上见 |
[13:00] | This is one of the most prestigious appointments in the country. | 这是这个国家最受尊重的职位之一 |
[13:03] | Yes, and a great commute. | 是的 通勤也很棒 |
[13:05] | That’s why I’m considering it. | 所以我还在考虑 |
[13:08] | So Dr. Oppenheimer brought your attention to his past associations | 那么奥本海默博士有没有让你注意到他过去的事情 |
[13:12] | before you appointed him? | 在你任命他之前? |
[13:14] | Yes. | 有的 |
[13:15] | And they didn’t concern you? | 你不担心吗? |
[13:16] | Just then I was entirely consumed with what he must have said | 当时 我满脑子都在想他究竟说了什么 |
[13:19] | to Einstein to sour him on me. | 让爱因斯坦对我大发雷霆 |
[13:25] | But later? | 那之后呢? |
[13:27] | Well, we all know what happened later. | 后来的事人人都知道了 |
[13:29] | Doctor, your time in Europe, | 博士 你在欧洲的那段时间 |
[13:31] | you seem to meet with a wide range of other countries’ physicists. | 似乎结识了很多其他国家的物理学家 |
[13:34] | Yes, that’s right. | 是的 没错 |
[13:35] | Any Russians? | 有俄国人吗? |
[13:39] | None that spring to mind. If you’ll just allow me | 一时想不起 如果你允许的话 |
[13:41] | to continue with my statement… -Mr. Robb, | 我想先继续我的陈述…… -罗博先生 |
[13:43] | you’ll have ample opportunity to cross-examine. | 你会有足够的机会进行交叉询问的 |
[13:49] | After Göttingen, I moved on to Leiden, in Holland, where I first met Isidor Rabi. | 哥廷根之后 我去了荷兰的莱顿 在那里我第一次见到伊西多·拉比 |
[13:54] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[14:00] | A yank. Lecturing on the new physics. | 一个美国佬 开讲新物理学 |
[14:03] | This I have to hear. | 这我必须听听 |
[14:04] | I’m an American myself. | 我也是美国人 |
[14:06] | How surprising. | 真令人惊讶 |
[14:08] | Let me know if you need any help with the English. | |
[14:25] | Wait, what’s he saying? | 等等 他说什么? |
[14:38] | No, thank you. | 不用 谢谢 |
[14:39] | It’s a long way to Zurich. | 去苏黎世还有很长的路 |
[14:41] | If you get any skinnier, we’re gonna lose you between the seat cushions. | 如果你再瘦一点 可能就掉进座垫之间找不着了 |
[14:44] | -I’m Rabi. -Oppenheimer. | -我是拉比 -奥本海默 |
[14:46] | I caught your lecture on molecules. | 我听了你关于分子的讲座 |
[14:49] | Caught some of it. | 受益匪浅 |
[14:51] | We’re a couple of New York Jews, how do you know Dutch? | 我们都是纽约犹太人 你怎么会荷兰语的? |
[14:53] | Well, I thought I’d better learn it when I got here this semester. | 即然这学期要来这里 我觉得最好还是学一下 |
[14:56] | You learned enough Dutch in six weeks to give a lecture on quantum mechanics? | 你在六周内就学会了荷兰语来做一个量子力学的讲座吗? |
[15:00] | I like to challenge myself. | 我喜欢挑战自我 |
[15:01] | Quantum physics wasn’t challenging enough. | 量子物理学还不够有挑战性 |
[15:03] | -Shvitzer? -Shvitzer. | -凡尔赛(意第绪语) -凡尔赛? |
[15:05] | Show-off. | 炫耀 |
[15:07] | Dutch in six weeks, but you never learned Yiddish. | 六个星期就学会了荷兰语 但你从来没学过意第绪语 |
[15:09] | They don’t speak it so much my side of the park. | 我那边的人不怎么说意第绪语 |
[15:11] | Screw you. | 去你的 |
[15:13] | -You homesick? -Oh, you know it. | -想家吗? -哦 你知道的 |
[15:17] | Ever get the feeling our kind isn’t entirely welcome here? | 有没有觉得我们这种人在这里不受欢迎? |
[15:20] | Physicists? | 物理学家? |
[15:22] | -That’s funny. -Not in the department. | -不开玩笑 -没有区别 |
[15:25] | They’re all Jewish, too. | 物理学家都是犹太人 |
[15:28] | Eat. | 吃吧 |
[15:32] | There’s this German you have to seek out. | 你得去找一个德国人 |
[15:35] | -Heisenberg. -Right. | -海森堡 -对 |
[15:47] | One might be led to the presumption that behind the quantum world | 人们可能会推测 在量子世界背后 |
[15:51] | there still hides a real world in which causality holds, | 仍然隐藏着一个存在因果关系的真实世界 |
[15:54] | but such speculations seem to us, to say it explicitly, fruitless. | 但是这样的推测在我们看来 明确地说 是徒劳的 |
[15:59] | Thank you. Have a great day. | 谢谢 祝大家愉快 |
[16:06] | -Wonderful. -Thank you. | -很捧 -谢谢 |
[16:08] | -Dr. Oppenheimer. -Oppenheimer, yes! | -奥本海默博士 -奥本海默 是你! |
[16:11] | I liked your paper on molecules. | 我喜欢你关于分子的论文 |
[16:13] | Probably because you inspired it. | 可能是因为你启发了它 |
[16:14] | If I inspire anything else, let me know. We could publish together. | 如果我启发了什么灵感 告诉我 我们可以一起做论文 |
[16:17] | -I have to get back to America. -Why? | -我必须回美国了 -为什么? |
[16:20] | There’s no one there taking quantum mechanics seriously. | 那里没人把量子力学当回事 |
[16:23] | That’s exactly why. | 这就是原因 |
[16:25] | He’s pining for the canyons of Manhattan. | 他心系曼哈顿的峡谷 |
[16:27] | Canyons of New Mexico. | 新墨西哥州的峡谷 |
[16:30] | -You’re from New Mexico? -No, New York. | 你从新墨西哥州来? 不 纽约 |
[16:31] | But my brother and I have a ranch outside Santa Fe. | 但我弟弟和我在圣达菲郊外有个农场 |
[16:35] | That’s the America I miss right now. | 那才是我魂牵梦萦的美国 |
[16:37] | Then it’s best you get home, cowboys. | 那你们最好赶紧回家 牛仔们 |
[16:40] | That’s him. | 那是他 |
[16:41] | No, me and horses? | 不 我和马? |
[16:43] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么认为 |
[16:45] | Nice to meet you. | 很高兴认识你 |
[16:49] | Did you ever encounter Heisenberg again? | 你有没有再次遇到海森堡? |
[16:51] | Not in person, no, but… | 不是面对面 不过…… |
[16:55] | you might say our paths crossed. | 你可以说我们有过交集 |
[16:59] | On returning to America, | 回到美国后 |
[17:00] | I accepted positions at both Caltech and up at Berkeley. | 我接受了加州理工和伯克利的教职 |
[17:27] | Dr. Lawrence, I presume? | 劳伦斯博士 是吧? |
[17:31] | You must be Oppenheimer. | 你一定是奥本海默 |
[17:33] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:34] | I hear you want to start a school of quantum theory. | 我听说你想开一个量子理论研讨班 |
[17:36] | I am starting it, next door. | 我要开始了 在隔壁 |
[17:38] | -They put you in there? -I asked for it. | -他们把你安排在这? -我申请的 |
[17:40] | Wanted to be close to you experimentalists. | 想接近你们这些实验物理学家 |
[17:42] | Theory will get you only so far. | 理论总是灰色的 |
[17:44] | We’re building a machine to accelerate electrons. | 我们正在建造一台电子加速器 |
[17:47] | Magnificent. | 太神奇了 |
[17:48] | Would you like to help? | 你愿意帮忙吗? |
[17:49] | Build it? Oh, no. No, no. | 建造? 哦 不 不 不 |
[17:52] | But I am working on theories I’d like to test with it. | 但我正在研究一些理论 我想用它来检验一下 |
[17:55] | When do you start teaching? | 你什么时候开始教书? |
[17:56] | I’ve got my first in an hour. | 一个小时后就开始第一个 |
[17:58] | -Seminar? -Pupil. | -研讨会? -学生 |
[18:00] | One student? That’s it? | 一个学生? 就一个? |
[18:03] | I’m teaching something no one here has dreamt of. | 我在教一些这里没有人梦想过的东西 |
[18:05] | But once people start hearing what you can do with it… | 但一旦人们开始听说你能用它做什么…… |
[18:07] | There’s no going back. | 就回不去了 |
[18:11] | -Oh, I must have missed the… -Mr. Lomanitz? | -哦 我一定走错…… -洛马尼茨先生? |
[18:17] | -Yeah. -Yes, this is it. | -是我 -是的 就是这里 |
[18:19] | Please, take a seat. | 请坐 |
[18:26] | What do you know about quantum mechanics? | 你对量子力学了解多少? |
[18:29] | I have a grasp on the basics. | 只知道些皮毛 |
[18:30] | Then you’re doing it wrong. | 那你就错了 |
[18:33] | Is life made up of particles or waves? | 生命是由粒子还是波组成的? |
[18:35] | Quantum mechanics says it’s both. How can it be both? | 量子力学说两者都是 怎么可能两者都是? |
[18:38] | -It can’t. | -不可能 -不可能 -It can’t. |
[18:40] | But it is. | 但事实如此 |
[18:41] | It’s paradoxical, and yet, it works. | 这是矛盾的 但是 很有用 |
[18:55] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[18:57] | Mr. Lomanitz. You’re gonna be okay. | 洛马尼茨先生 你会没事的 |
[19:00] | Mr. Snyder. | 斯奈德先生 |
[19:01] | Now, let’s consider a star. | 现在 让我们谈一谈星星 |
[19:04] | A star, a vast furnace burning in outer space, | 一颗恒星 就像一个在外太空燃烧的巨大熔炉 |
[19:07] | fire pushing outwards against its own gravity, balanced. | 火焰克服自身重力向外推进 保持平衡 |
[19:12] | But if that furnace cools, | 但一旦炉子冷却了 |
[19:14] | and gravity starts winning, it contracts. | 重力开始占上风 它就会收缩 |
[19:17] | -Density increases. -Correct. | -密度增加 -正确 |
[19:20] | -Increasing gravity. -Increasing density. | -重力增加 -密度增加 |
[19:23] | -And? -It’s a vicious cycle until… | -然后呢? -这是一个恶性循环 直到…… |
[19:25] | What’s the limit here? | 循环的尽头是什么? |
[19:28] | I don’t know. See where the math takes us. | 我不知道 看看数学怎么说 |
[19:30] | I guarantee it’s somewhere no one’s been before us. | 我保证那是我们之前没人去过的地方 |
[19:32] | Me? | 我? |
[19:34] | Yes, you. Your math is better than mine. | 是的 你 你的数学比我好 |
[19:38] | Dr. Oppenheimer’s file contained details | 在奥本海默博士的档案里 |
[19:41] | of his activities at Berkeley. | 有他在伯克利活动的详细信息 |
[19:42] | Why would they have started a file on Dr. Oppenheimer before the war? | 为什么他们会在战前就开始调查奥本海默博士? |
[19:47] | Well, you’d have to ask Mr. Hoover. | 那你得问胡佛先生了 |
[19:49] | I’m asking you, Admiral Strauss. | 我在问你 施特劳斯将军 |
[19:52] | Uh, my assumption | 嗯 我猜测 |
[19:53] | is that it was connected to his, uh, | 是和他的 呃 |
[19:57] | left-wing political activities. | 左翼政治活动有关 |
[20:01] | You shouldn’t let them bring their politics in the classroom, Oppie. | 你不应该让他们在课堂上谈论政治 奥比 |
[20:05] | I wrote that. | 这是我写的 |
[20:06] | Lawrence, you embraced the revolution in physics. | 劳伦斯 你接受物理学上的革命 |
[20:09] | Can’t you see it everywhere else? | 其他方面的革命你看不到吗? |
[20:11] | Picasso, Stravinsky, Freud, Marx. | 毕加索 斯特拉文斯基 弗洛伊德 马克思 |
[20:13] | Well, this is America, Oppie. We had our revolution. | 这里是美国 我们有自己的革命 |
[20:17] | Seriously, keep it out of the lab. | 说真的 别带它进实验室 |
[20:20] | Well, out of the lab | 好吧 出了实验室 |
[20:22] | my landlady is having a discussion group tonight. | 我的女房东今晚有个讨论会 |
[20:25] | Interested? | 有兴趣吗? |
[20:26] | I have sampled the Berkeley political scene. | 我参加过一些伯克利的政治聚会 |
[20:28] | It’s all just philosophy post-grads and communists talking integration. | 都是些哲学研究生和共产主义者在高谈阔论团结 |
[20:32] | You don’t care about integration? | 你不在乎团结吗? |
[20:34] | I want to vote for it, not talk about it. | 我想投票赞成 不想谈论它 |
[20:36] | Especially on a Friday. Come on, let’s eat. | 特别是在星期五 来吧 我们吃饭 |
[20:38] | I’m meeting my brother there. | 我要去那里见我弟弟 |
[20:40] | And how would these activities have come to the attention of the FBI? | 这些活动怎么会引起联邦调查局的注意? |
[20:44] | Well, if I remember correctly, | 如果我没记错的话 |
[20:46] | the FBI was taking license plates outside suspected communist gatherings, | 联邦调查局在可疑的共产主义集会外拍摄车牌 |
[20:50] | and his name popped up. | 然后他的名字出现了 |
[21:00] | -Jesus Christ! -Sorry. | -吓我一跳! -对不起 |
[21:02] | Frank! | 弗兰克! |
[21:05] | -Uh, you remember Jackie? -Evening. | -还记得杰姬吗? -晚上好 |
[21:14] | Robert! I want you to meet Chevalier. | 罗伯特! 我想让你见见舍瓦利耶 |
[21:17] | Dr. Haakon Chevalier, Dr. Robert Oppenheimer. | 哈康·舍瓦利耶博士 罗伯特·奥本海默博士 |
[21:20] | -Pleasure. | -幸会 -幸会 -Pleasure. |
[21:21] | This is my little brother, Frank. | 这是我弟弟 弗兰克 |
[21:23] | -And this is… -Still Jackie. | -这位是…… -斯蒂尔·杰姬 |
[21:25] | Hello, Still Jackie. | 你好 斯蒂尔·杰姬 |
[21:26] | -Chevalier, you’re in languages? -And your reputation precedes you. | -舍瓦利耶 你是语言学家? -而你 久仰大名 |
[21:30] | What have you heard? | 你听说了什么? |
[21:31] | That you’re teaching a radical new approach to physics | 你在教授一种全新的物理学 |
[21:33] | I have no chance of understanding, but I haven’t heard you’re a party member. | 我无法理解 听说你还不是党员 |
[21:37] | -Uh, I’m not. -Oh, not yet. | -我没有入党 -是 还没有入党 |
[21:38] | Frank and I are thinking of joining. | 弗兰克和我想入党 |
[21:40] | -Just the other day I was saying… -I support a range of causes. | -前几天我还在说…… -我支持许多事业 |
[21:42] | Spanish Civil War? | 西班牙内战? |
[21:44] | A democratic republic being overthrown by fascist thugs. | 一个被法西斯暴徒推翻的民主共和国 |
[21:47] | -Who wouldn’t? -Our government. | -谁不支持呢? -我们的政府 |
[21:48] | They think that socialism is a bigger threat than fascism. | 他们认为社会主义比法西斯主义更具威胁性 |
[21:51] | Not for long. Look at what the Nazis are doing to the Jews. | 不会太久的 看看纳粹是怎么对待犹太人的 |
[21:53] | I send funds to colleagues in Germany to emigrate. | 我有捐钱给德国的同行 资助他们移民 |
[21:56] | I have to do something. | 我得做点什么 |
[21:59] | My own work is so… abstract. | 我自己的工作太……抽象了 |
[22:02] | What are you working on? | 你在忙什么呢? |
[22:03] | What happens to stars when they die? | 星星死后会发生什么? |
[22:05] | Do stars die? | 星星会死吗? |
[22:08] | Well, if they do, they’d cool, then collapse. | 嗯 这么说 它们会冷却 然后坍塌 |
[22:11] | In fact, the bigger the star, | 事实上 星星越大 |
[22:14] | the more violent its demise. | 它的灭亡就越激烈 |
[22:16] | Their gravity gets so concentrated, it swallows everything. | 它们的引力非常集中 吞噬了一切 |
[22:20] | Everything, even light. | 一切 包括光线 |
[22:22] | -Can that really happen? -The math says it can. | -真的会这样吗? -数学表明可以 |
[22:25] | If we can get published, then perhaps one day an astronomer finds one. | 如果我们能出版 也许哪天天文学家能发现一颗 |
[22:28] | But right now, all I have is theory, | 但现在 我只有理论 |
[22:30] | which can’t impact people’s lives. | 不会影响人们的生活 |
[22:32] | Well, if you’re going to send money to Spain, | 如果你要往西班牙捐钱 |
[22:34] | do it through the Communist Party. | 通过共产党做这件事 |
[22:36] | They can get it to the front lines. | 他们可以直接送钱到前线 |
[22:37] | Mary sent me with these. | 玛丽让我送来的 |
[22:40] | -I’m Jean. -Robert. | -我叫琼 -罗伯特 |
[22:43] | Haakon Chevalier. That union meeting at Serber’s last month. | 哈康·舍瓦利耶 上个月在塞伯尔的工会会议 |
[22:46] | Right, right, yes. | 对 对 是的 |
[22:48] | Oh, thank you. | 哦 谢谢 |
[22:49] | Robert here says he’s not a communist. | 罗伯特说他不是共产党员 |
[22:51] | Well, then he doesn’t know enough about it. | 那是他还不够了解共产党 |
[22:54] | Oh, I’ve read Das Kapital, all three volumes. | 噢 我读过《资本论》全部三卷 |
[22:56] | Does that count? | 这算吗? |
[22:57] | It would make you better-read than most party members. | 这只能证明你比大多数党员更博览群书 |
[22:59] | Turgid stuff. There’s some thinking, um… | 枯燥乏味 有一些想法 嗯…… |
[23:02] | “Ownership is theft.” | “所有权就是盗窃” |
[23:03] | -Property. -Property? | -财产 -财产? |
[23:05] | Property, not ownership. | 是财产 不是所有权 |
[23:07] | I’m sorry, I read it in the original German. | 抱歉 我读的是德文原版 |
[23:12] | It’s not about the book. It’s about the ideas. | 这与书无关 关乎每个人的理解 |
[23:15] | And you sound uncommitted. | 你的不一定准确 |
[23:17] | I’m committed to thinking freely about how to improve our world. | 我致力于自由思考如何改善我们的世界 |
[23:21] | Why limit yourself to one dogma? | 为什么要把自己限制在一个教条之内? |
[23:23] | You’re a physicist. Do you pick and choose rules? | 你是个物理学家 你会选择规矩吗? |
[23:26] | Or do you use the discipline to channel your energies into progress? | 或者你用纪律来引导你的能量取得进步? |
[23:30] | I like a little wiggle room. | 我喜欢多一点自由 |
[23:33] | Do you always toe the party line? | 你总是遵守党的路线吗? |
[23:37] | I like my wiggle room, too. | 我也喜欢多一点自由 |
[23:50] | What? | 怎么了? |
[23:52] | Wait, wait, wait. | 等等 等等 |
[23:57] | Unexpected. | 出乎意料 |
[23:58] | What? | 什么? |
[23:59] | For a physicist. | 对一个物理学家来说 |
[24:01] | You only have a shelf full of Freud? | 你书架上只有弗洛伊德的书吗? |
[24:03] | -Well, actually, my background’s more… -Jungian? | -事实上 我的学术背景是…… -荣格? |
[24:09] | You know analysis? | 你懂精神分析学? |
[24:10] | When I was in post-grad at Cambridge, I had a little trouble. | 当我在剑桥读研究生时 遇到一点小麻烦 |
[24:15] | -I’ll bite. -I tried to poison my tutor. | -有意思 -我想毒死我的导师 |
[24:17] | -Did you hate him? -I liked him very much. | -你恨他吗? -我很喜欢他 |
[24:20] | You just needed to get laid. | 你只是需要滚床单 |
[24:22] | It took my analysts two years, | 我的精神分析师花了两年时间 |
[24:23] | and I don’t think they ever put it that succinctly. | 我觉得他们从来没有像你说得那么简洁 |
[24:26] | You have everyone convinced you’re more complicated than you actually are. | 你让所有人都相信你比实际上更复杂 |
[24:29] | We’re all simple souls, I guess. | 我想我们的灵魂都是单纯的 |
[24:32] | I’m not. | 我不是 |
[24:36] | What’s this? | 这是什么? |
[24:37] | Sanskrit. | 梵文 |
[24:38] | You can read this? | 你能看懂这个? |
[24:40] | I’m learning. | 正在学 |
[24:46] | Read this. | 念给我听 |
[24:49] | Well, in this part, | 嗯 这一段说的是 |
[24:51] | -Vishnu reveals his multi-armed self… -No. | -毗湿奴展示了他千臂的自我…… -不 |
[24:55] | Read the words. | 读文字 |
[25:00] | “And now I am become Death… | “现在我成了死神…… |
[25:09] | “destroyer of worlds.” | “世界的毁灭者” |
[25:41] | This’ll do. | 就这吧 |
[25:49] | It’ll break before dawn. | 天亮前会好的 |
[25:50] | Air cools overnight. | 冷空气持续一整夜 |
[25:52] | Just before dawn, it breaks. | 当黎明到来 就会转晴 |
[26:04] | Well, so, I’m getting married. | 听我说 我要结婚了 |
[26:08] | -Frank! congratulations! -Thank you, thank you. | 法兰克! 恭喜你! 谢谢 谢谢 |
[26:11] | -To Jackie? -Yeah, to Jackie. | -和杰姬? -对 杰姬 |
[26:14] | -The waitress? -Oppie, you’re right. It’s letting up. | -那个服务员? -奥比 你说得对 暖和些了 |
[26:17] | I’m gonna go see if there’s any stars. | 我去看看有没有星星 |
[26:19] | All your talk about the common man, but Jackie’s not good enough for you, hmm? | 你口口声声普通人 却嫌杰姬不好 对吧? |
[26:24] | We joined the party, and you can’t hide your disappointment. | 我们加入共产党 你无法掩饰你的失望 |
[26:26] | Why? Is that because that’s supposed to be your thing? | 为什么? 是因为我们抢在你前头吗? |
[26:29] | I haven’t joined the party, Frank. | 我没加入共产党 弗兰克 |
[26:30] | And I don’t think she should have convinced you to either. | 我觉得她也不应该说服你 |
[26:33] | -Half of the faculty is communist. -Not that half. | -一半的教员是共产主义者 -我们不是那一半 |
[26:37] | I’m your brother, Frank, and I want you to be cautious. | 我是你哥哥 弗兰克 我希望你小心点 |
[26:40] | And I want to wring your neck. | 我想拧断你的脖子 |
[26:43] | I won’t live my life afraid to make a mistake. | 我不会生活在害怕犯错的恐惧中 |
[26:49] | You’re happy… I’m happy. | 你开心 我就开心 |
[26:52] | So then I’m happy you’re happy that I’m happy. | 所以我开心着你开心我的开心 |
[27:00] | I feel like I can see one of those dark stars that you’re working on. | 我觉得我能看到你正在研究的那些暗星 |
[27:03] | You can’t. | 看不到 |
[27:04] | That’s the whole point. Their gravity swallows light. | 这就是重点 它们的引力会吞噬光线 |
[27:09] | It’s like a kind of hole in space. | 仿佛太空中的一个洞 |
[27:12] | Is Frank okay? | 弗兰克还好吗? |
[27:13] | Yes. He just has a shitty brother. | 是的 他只是有个糟糕的哥哥 |
[27:17] | It is special here. | 这里很特别 |
[27:21] | When I was a kid… | 我小时候 |
[27:24] | I thought if I could find a way… | 我想如果我能找到一种办法 |
[27:27] | to combine physics and New Mexico, | 把物理学和新墨西哥州结合起来 |
[27:31] | my life would be perfect. | 我的生活将会很完美 |
[27:35] | -Little remote for that. -Yes. | -遥不可及 -是啊 |
[27:37] | Let’s get some sleep. | 我们去睡觉吧 |
[27:40] | That mesa we saw today, one of my favorite places in the world. | 我们今天看到的那个平顶山 是我最喜欢的地方之一 |
[27:44] | -Tomorrow we’ll climb it. -What’s it called? | -明天我们爬上去 -叫什么? |
[27:48] | Los Alamos. | 洛斯阿拉莫斯 |
[27:54] | I didn’t expect to see you today. | 我今天没准备好见你 |
[27:57] | Do I have to make an appointment? | 见你还需要预约么? |
[28:03] | Alvarez? | 阿尔瓦雷茨? |
[28:10] | Oppie! Oppie! | 奥比! 奥比! |
[28:12] | What? What is it? | 怎么了?出什么事了 |
[28:14] | They’ve done it. | 他们做到了 |
[28:16] | They’ve done it. Hahn and Strassmann in Germany. | 他们做到了 哈恩和斯特拉斯曼 在德国 |
[28:17] | They split the uranium nucleus. | 他们分裂了铀原子核 |
[28:21] | How? | 怎么做? |
[28:23] | Bombard it with neutrons. | 用中子轰击它 |
[28:25] | It’s a nuclear fission. | 这是核裂变 |
[28:27] | They did it. They split the atom. | 他们做到了 他们分裂了原子 |
[28:28] | That’s not possible. | 这不可能 |
[28:35] | I’m gonna try to reproduce it. | 我试试重现它 |
[28:44] | See? Can’t be done. | 看到没 做不到 |
[28:47] | Very elegant. | 很优雅 |
[28:49] | Quite clear. | 很清晰 |
[28:50] | There’s just one problem. | 只有一个问题 |
[28:52] | Where? | 哪儿? |
[28:53] | Next door. | 隔壁 |
[28:55] | Alvarez did it. | 阿尔瓦雷茨做到了 |
[28:57] | And look. | 看 |
[28:59] | These fission pulses, they’re massive. | 这些裂变脉冲 非常巨大 |
[29:02] | I’ve seen 30 of these in the past ten minutes. | 过去十分钟我已经看30个了 |
[29:06] | Theory will take you only so far. | 理论总是灰色的 |
[29:10] | During the process… | 在这个过程中…… |
[29:13] | extra neutrons boil off, which could be used | 额外的中子蒸发掉 可以用来 |
[29:15] | to split other uranium atoms. | 分裂其他铀原子 |
[29:17] | Chain reaction. | 产生连锁反应 |
[29:19] | You’re thinking what I’m thinking. | 你和我想的一样 |
[29:20] | You, me, and every other physicist around the world who’s seen the news. | 你 我 还有世界上所有看到新闻的物理学家 |
[29:25] | I just… what, what are we all thinking? | 我刚刚……等等 我们是不是想到一块了? |
[29:28] | A bomb, Alvarez. | 原子弹 阿尔瓦雷茨 |
[29:32] | A bomb. | 原子弹 |
[29:34] | I told you, Robert, no more fucking flowers. | 我说了多少次 罗伯特 不准再送花 |
[29:39] | -I don’t understand what you want from me. -I don’t want anything from you! | -可我不知道你想要什么 -我不要你的任何东西! |
[29:43] | -Well, you say that, and then you call. -Well, don’t answer. | -说是这么说 是你叫我来的 -别来啊 |
[29:48] | I’ll always answer. | 你叫了 我就永远会来 |
[29:55] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[29:56] | Just no more flowers. | 就是别再送花了 |
[29:59] | You’re not coming? | 你不去聚会了么? |
[30:03] | You have to know when you’re beaten, Robert. | 人生不如意事十之八九 罗伯特 |
[30:07] | It’s not that simple, Haak. | 没那么简单 哈克 |
[30:09] | Chevalier, good to see you. Barbara, good to see you. | 舍瓦利耶 很高兴见到你 芭芭拉 很高兴见到你 |
[30:12] | And the illustrious Dr. Oppenheimer. | 还有杰出的奥本海默博士 |
[30:15] | -I’m Eltenton. -Oh, pleasure. | -我是埃尔坦登 -哦 幸会 |
[30:17] | Please, please. | 幸会 幸会 |
[30:18] | Why don’t you say a word about organized labor on campuses? | 你为什么不谈谈校园劳工组织呢? |
[30:21] | Yes? Coming through, coming through! | 对吧? 借过 借过! |
[30:23] | I work at Shell. | 我在壳牌公司工作 |
[30:24] | We’ve signed up chemists, we’ve signed up engineers. | 我们雇了化学家 我们雇了工程师 |
[30:27] | So why not sciences and academia? | 那么为什么科学界和学术界没有呢? |
[30:29] | Oppie! Oppie! Oppie! Oppie! | 奥比! 奥比! 奥比! 奥比! |
[30:43] | Teachers are unionized. | 教师都组织工会了 |
[30:45] | Why not professors? | 教授为什么还没有? |
[30:47] | Don’t you have somewhere to be? | 你不是还有事吗? |
[30:48] | Lawrence, academics have rights too. | 劳伦斯 学者也有权利 |
[30:50] | Look, it’s not that. I’ve got a group coming. | 听着 不是那样的 我有一群人要来 |
[30:53] | -Oh. I’ll sit in. -Not this one. | -哦 我会参加的 -这个不行 |
[31:02] | Richard, Dr. Bush. | 理查德 布什博士 |
[31:04] | What brings you two up north? | 什么风把你们吹到北方来了? |
[31:15] | Richard, you tell Ruth I’ll be down in Pasadena Thursday. | 理查德 你告诉鲁丝我周四会去帕萨迪纳 |
[31:28] | Paper on black holes, it’s in! | 黑洞论文 新鲜出炉! |
[31:32] | Where’s Hartland? | 哈特兰在哪? |
[31:33] | Get Hartland. Get Hartland. | 快找哈特兰 快找哈特兰 |
[31:36] | September 1st, 1939? The world’s gonna remember this day. | 1939年9月1日? 全世界会永远记住这一天 |
[31:41] | Oh, Hartland, our paper, it’s in print. | 噢 哈特兰 我们的论文出版了 |
[31:43] | You’ve been upstaged. | 我们被人抢了头条 |
[31:48] | During the Battle of Britain, I found myself | 在不列颠之战中 我发现自己 |
[31:51] | increasingly out of sympathy with the… | 越来越不同情…… |
[31:54] | policy of neutrality that communists advocated. | 共产党主张的中立政策 |
[31:57] | But after Hitler invaded Russia and we became allies, | 但在希特勒入侵俄国 我们成为盟友之后 |
[32:00] | these communist sympathies, do they return? | 你的共产主义者的同情心 又回来了吗? |
[32:03] | No. | 没有 |
[32:05] | I need to make clear that my changing views on Russia | 我需要澄清的是 我改变对俄国的看法 |
[32:09] | did not mean a sharp break from those who held different views. | 并不意味着与那些持不同观点的人彻底决裂 |
[32:12] | For a year or two during a previous marriage, | 在上一段婚姻中的一两年里 |
[32:15] | my wife Kitty had been a Communist Party member. | 我的妻子凯蒂曾是共产党员 |
[32:23] | This is where I keep the good stuff. | 这是我放好东西的地方 |
[32:24] | Well, I thought this was the Tolmans’ house. | 我以为这是托尔曼的家 |
[32:26] | I live with them while I’m at Caltech. | 我在加州理工的时候和他们住在一起 |
[32:28] | Do you two need anything? | 你们两个需要什么吗? |
[32:29] | We’re good, Ruthie. | 我们没事 鲁丝 |
[32:32] | So, you’re a biologist. | 你是个生物学家 |
[32:35] | Well, somehow I have graduated to housewife. | 你不说我都忘了 我现在是家庭主妇 |
[32:39] | Can you explain quantum mechanics to me? | 你能给我解释一下量子力学吗? |
[32:41] | -Seems baffling. -Yes, it is. | -似乎很深奥 -是的 没错 |
[32:45] | Well, this glass, | 嗯 这个杯子 |
[32:48] | this drink… this countertop… | 这杯酒……这个台面…… |
[32:52] | Our bodies. | 我们的身体 |
[32:55] | All of it. | 所有这些 |
[32:57] | It’s mostly empty space. | 大部分都是空的 |
[32:59] | Groupings of tiny energy waves bound together. | 成群的微小能量波聚集在一起 |
[33:03] | By what? | 通过什么? |
[33:04] | Forces of attraction strong enough to convince us | 强大的吸引力足以让我们相信 |
[33:08] | that matter is solid. | 物质是固体 |
[33:10] | Stop my body passing through yours. | 阻止我的身体穿过你的身体 |
[33:25] | You’re married to Dr. Harrison. | 你嫁给了哈里森博士 |
[33:27] | Not very. | 还是说你吧 |
[33:30] | There is someone that I feel… | 有一个人 我感觉…… |
[33:34] | Does she feel that way? | 她也有那种感觉吗? |
[33:35] | Sometimes. | 有时候吧 |
[33:38] | Not enough. | 还不够 |
[33:40] | You know, I’m going to New Mexico. | 知道吗 我要去新墨西哥州 |
[33:43] | To my ranch, with friends. | 去我的牧场 和朋友们一起 |
[33:45] | You should come. | 你应该来 |
[33:47] | I meant, with your husband. | 我是说 和你丈夫 |
[33:49] | Yes, you did. | 是的 没错 |
[33:50] | Because you know it won’t make a bit of difference. | 你知道的 他来不来没什么区别 |
[33:57] | Why did you marry him? | 你为什么嫁给他? |
[33:59] | I was lost, and… he was kind. | 我迷失了 而且 他对我很好 |
[34:05] | Lost? | 迷失? |
[34:06] | Well, my previous husband had died, and… | 我的前夫去世时 |
[34:09] | at 28, I wasn’t really ready to be a widow. | 我才28岁 还没准备好做寡妇 |
[34:12] | -Who was your first husband? -Nobody. | -你的第一任丈夫是谁? -不值一提 |
[34:14] | My second husband was Joe Dallet. | 我的第二任丈夫是乔·达莱特 |
[34:16] | He was from money, like me, | 他和我一样出身富贵 |
[34:18] | but he was a union organizer in Youngstown, Ohio. | 但他是俄亥俄州扬斯敦的工会组织者 |
[34:22] | I fell hard. | 我一下跌入谷底 |
[34:24] | -How hard? -Hard enough to spend the next four years | -有多谷底? -足以让你在接下来的四年里 |
[34:26] | living off beans and pancakes, | 靠豆子和煎饼为生 |
[34:28] | handing out the Daily Worker at factory gates. | 在工厂门口发放《工人日报》 |
[34:31] | By ’36, I just told Joe I couldn’t take it anymore. | 到了1936年 我告诉乔我再也受不了了 |
[34:34] | Quit the party. | 退出共产党 |
[34:35] | A year later, I wanted him back. | 一年后 我想让他回来 |
[34:36] | Him, not the Daily Worker. And… | 是他 不是那个社会活动家 然后 |
[34:39] | he said: “Swell, I’ll meet you on my way to Spain.” | 他说 好的 我们在去西班牙的路上见 |
[34:41] | Went to fight for the Loyalists? | 去为共和派而战? |
[34:42] | And then he went to the brigades and I waited. | 于是他参加了国际旅 我等着 |
[34:44] | And… | 后来…… |
[34:47] | Joe got himself killed first time he popped his head out of the trench. | 乔第一次从战壕里探出头就被杀了 |
[34:52] | Ideology got Joe killed, for nothing. | 意识形态害死了乔 毫无意义 |
[34:54] | The Spanish Republic isn’t nothing. | 西班牙共和国不是一无是处 |
[34:56] | My husband offered both our futures to stop one fascist bullet | 我丈夫为了阻止一颗法西斯子弹牺牲了我们两个人的未来 |
[34:59] | from embedding itself in a mud bank. | 把自己埋在泥滩里 |
[35:02] | That’s the definition of nothing. | 这就是虚无的定义 |
[35:04] | -Seems a little reductive. -Pragmatic. | -假乎有点简化了 -实话实说 |
[35:08] | Now here I am. | 现在我在这里 |
[35:12] | Wherever the hell this is. | 不管这是哪里 |
[35:21] | I didn’t want you to hear it from anyone else. | 我不希望你从别人那里听到这个消息 |
[35:26] | At least you didn’t bring me flowers. | 至少你这次没再送花 |
[35:36] | We both know I’m not what you want, Jean. | 我们都知道我不是你想要的人 琼 |
[35:39] | Yeah, but it’s a door closing. | 但我已经没法再爱上别人了 |
[35:42] | No. | 不 |
[35:45] | Not as far as I’m concerned, no. | 对我来说 不 |
[35:49] | You knocked her up. Fast work. | 她都怀孕了 真快啊 |
[35:51] | Can’t keep a good man down. | 有志者事竟成嘛 |
[35:54] | I meant her. | 我是说她 |
[35:56] | She knew what she wanted. | 她知道自己想要什么 |
[35:58] | What about the husband? | 她丈夫呢? |
[36:00] | We talked. | 我们谈过了 |
[36:01] | They’re getting a divorce, | 他们会离婚 |
[36:02] | so we can get married before she starts showing. | 这样我们就能赶在她大肚前结婚 |
[36:06] | How civilized. | 多绅士啊 |
[36:10] | You idiot. | 你是个傻瓜 |
[36:11] | This is your community. | 这是你的地盘 |
[36:14] | You think the rules don’t apply to the golden boy? | 你觉得这些规矩不适用于天才吗? |
[36:17] | Brilliance makes up for a lot. | 才华能弥补很多缺点 |
[36:19] | Don’t alienate the only people in the world that understand what you do. | 别远离那些理解你的人 |
[36:24] | One day you might need them. | 有一天你会需要他们的 |
[36:26] | F-A-E-C-T! F-A-E-C-T! | |
[36:29] | Federation of Architects, Engineers, Chemists and Technicians. | 建筑师、工程师、化学家和技术人员联合会 |
[36:38] | 辐射实验室工会 | |
[36:40] | Lomanitz, what do you get paid a month? | 洛马尼茨 你一个月的薪水是多少? |
[36:42] | That’s not the point, Lawrence. | 这不是重点 劳伦斯 |
[36:43] | What do any of you have in common with farm laborers and dock workers? | 你们和农场工人和码头工人有什么共同点? |
[36:48] | Plenty. | 很多 |
[36:51] | Everybody out. Now! | 所有人都出去 马上! |
[36:58] | Not you. | 你留下 |
[37:05] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? |
[37:07] | It’s a trade union. | 这是工会 |
[37:08] | -Filled with communists. -So? I haven’t joined the party. | -到处都是共产党员 -那又怎样? 我还没加入呢 |
[37:11] | They won’t let me bring you onto the project because of this shit. | 因为这破事 他们不让我带你参与这个项目 |
[37:15] | They won’t even let me tell you what the project is. | 他们甚至不让我告诉你项目是什么 |
[37:17] | Oh, I know what the project is. | 我知道是什么项目 |
[37:19] | Oh, really? | 真的吗? |
[37:20] | We’ve all heard about Einstein and Szilard’s letter to Roosevelt | 我们都听说过爱因斯坦和西拉德写给罗斯福的信 |
[37:23] | warning him the Germans could make a bomb, | 警告他德国人可能会制造原子弹 |
[37:25] | and I know what it means for the Nazis to have a bomb. | 我知道纳粹拥有原子弹意味着什么 |
[37:28] | And I don’t? | 我不知道吗? |
[37:29] | It’s not your people they’re herding into camps. | 他们不是把你的人赶进集中营 |
[37:32] | It’s mine. | 是我的 |
[37:34] | You think that I tell them about your politics? | 你以为我会告诉他们你的政治立场吗? |
[37:39] | The next time you’re coming home from a meeting, | 下次你开完会回家 |
[37:41] | why don’t you take a look in the rearview mirror, | 为什么不看看后视镜 |
[37:43] | listen to the sounds on your phone line, and stop being so goddamn naive? | 听听电话线上的声音 别他妈这么天真了? |
[37:49] | Why would they care what I do? | 他们为什么要在乎我做什么? |
[37:51] | Because you’re not just self-important, you’re actually important. | 因为你不只是自以为重要 你实际上很重要 |
[37:58] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[38:01] | I get it. | 我明白了 |
[38:02] | If you could just be a little more… | 如果你能再多一点…… |
[38:03] | Pragmatic. I’ll talk to Lomanitz, I’ll talk to the others. | 务实 我会和洛马尼茨谈谈 和其他人谈谈 |
[38:06] | You don’t have to worry, it’s done. | 你不用担心 已经结束了 |
[38:09] | Lawrence. | 劳伦斯 |
[38:15] | Then welcome to the war. | 那么欢迎参战 |
[38:17] | I filled out my first security questionnaire and was informed | 我填写了我的第一份安全问卷 并被告知 |
[38:20] | that my involvement with left-wing groups would | 我和左翼组织的关系 |
[38:23] | not prove a bar to my working on the atomic program. | 不再成为我在原子弹项目上的工作障碍 |
[38:26] | Why were his communist associations | 为什么他和共产党的关系 |
[38:29] | not seen as a security risk during the war? | 不被视为战争期间的安全隐患? |
[38:32] | Senator, I can’t possibly answer | 参议员 我无法回答 |
[38:34] | for security clearance granted years before I ever met the man. | 在我认识他之前就已经获得安全许可了 |
[38:37] | Fine. What about after? | 好吧 那之后呢? |
[38:39] | After the war, Dr. Oppenheimer was | 战后 奥本海默博士 |
[38:42] | the most respected scientific voice in the world. | 世界上最受尊敬的科学之声 |
[38:45] | That’s why I asked him to run the Institute. | 这就是为什么我让他管理研究所 |
[38:47] | That’s why he advised the Atomic Energy Commission. | 这就是他成为原子能委员会顾问的原因 |
[38:50] | Simple as that. | 就这么简单 |
[38:52] | What are they accusing me of? | 他们指控我什么? |
[38:54] | I think they just want to know what happened between 1947 and 1954 | 我想他们只是想知道1947年到1954年间发生了什么 |
[38:58] | to change your mind on Oppenheimer’s security clearance. | 改变你对奥本海默安全许可的看法 |
[39:00] | I didn’t. | 我没有 |
[39:01] | I was chair of the AEC, but it wasn’t me | 我是原子能委员会主席 但不是我 |
[39:05] | that brought the charges against Robert. -Who did? | 指控罗伯特 谁干的? |
[39:08] | Some former staff member of the Joint Congressional Committee. | 国会联合委员会的一位前工作人员 |
[39:10] | He was a rabid anti-communist named Borden. | 他是个狂热的反共产主义者 名叫博登 |
[39:13] | He wrote to the FBI demanding they take action. | 他写信给联邦调查局 要求他们采取行动 |
[39:16] | The FBI? Why not go to the AEC direct? | 联邦调查局? 为什么不直接找原子能委员会? |
[39:18] | You’d get caught holding the knife yourself. | 借刀杀人 方为上策 |
[39:21] | What did Borden have against Oppenheimer? | 博登和奥本海默有什么过节? |
[39:23] | This is the McCarthy era. | 这是麦卡锡时代 |
[39:25] | People hounded out of jobs for any hint of red, and… | 人们为了一点点染红而被炒鱿鱼 然后 |
[39:30] | Reading Oppenheimer’s security file, his communist brother, | 我阅读了奥本海默的安全档案 他的弟弟 |
[39:33] | sister-in-law, fiancée, best friend, wife. | 弟媳 情妇 最好的朋友 妻子 都是共产党 |
[39:36] | That’s before we even get to the Chevalier incident. | 那是在我们讨论舍瓦利耶事件之前 |
[39:39] | But how would Borden have access to Oppenheimer’s security file? | 但博登是怎么拿到奥本海默的安全档案的? |
[39:42] | Because somebody gave it to him. | 别人给他的 |
[39:45] | Somebody who wanted Robert silenced. | 有人想教罗伯特闭嘴 |
[39:48] | Who? -Who knows? | -谁? -天知道? |
[39:50] | Robert didn’t take care not to upset the power brokers in Washington. | 罗伯特没有小心翼翼地避免惹恼华盛顿的权力掮客 |
[39:54] | His opinions on the atom became definitive, | 他成了原子弹方面的绝对权威 |
[39:57] | and he wasn’t always patient with us mere mortals. | 他对我们这些凡人并不总是有耐心 |
[40:03] | I came in for plenty of harsh treatment. | 我受到了很多粗暴的对待 |
[40:06] | There was an AEC vote | 原子能委员会进行了投票 |
[40:09] | on the export of isotopes to Norway, | 关于向挪威出口同位素 |
[40:12] | and they drafted in Robert to make me look like a fool. | 他们把罗伯特请进来就是为了让我看起来像个傻瓜 |
[40:14] | But Dr. Oppenheimer, we’ve already heard from Admiral Strauss | 但是奥本海默博士 我们已经收到了施特劳斯将军的来信 |
[40:18] | that these isotopes could be useful to our enemies | 这些同位素可能对我们的敌人有用 |
[40:21] | in the production of atomic weapons. | 在原子武器制造中 |
[40:22] | Congressman, you could use a shovel in making atomic weapons. | 议员先生 你可以用铲子来制造核武器 |
[40:26] | In fact, you do. | 真的 你可以 |
[40:27] | You could use a bottle of beer in making atomic weapons. | 你可以用一瓶啤酒来制造核武器 |
[40:30] | In fact, you do. I’d say isotopes are | 真的 你可以 我觉得同位素 |
[40:32] | less useful than electronic components, | 还不如电子元件有用 |
[40:35] | but more useful than a sandwich. | 但比三明治要强 |
[40:40] | Genius is no guarantee of wisdom. | 天才不能保证智慧 |
[40:43] | How could this man who saw so much be so blind? | 这个看到这么多的人怎么会如此盲目? |
[40:55] | Kitty? | 凯蒂? |
[41:01] | Kitty? | 凯蒂? |
[41:04] | Kitty. | 凯蒂 |
[41:05] | The project. | 这个项目 |
[41:07] | I’m in. | 我加入了 |
[41:09] | -I’m in! -Let’s celebrate. | -我加入了! -让我们庆祝 |
[41:18] | Shouldn’t you go to him? | 你不该去照顾他吗? |
[41:24] | I have been going to him all fucking day. | 我他妈的一整天都在照顾他 |
[41:53] | I don’t know how to say this. | 我不知道该怎么说 |
[41:56] | I’m a shamed to ask. | 我不好意思开口 |
[41:58] | Anything. | 什么都行 |
[42:00] | -Take Peter. -Sure. | -照顾彼得 -可以 |
[42:02] | No, for a while, Haak. | 不 只是暂时的 哈克 |
[42:04] | A while. | 一段时间 |
[42:08] | -Does Kitty know you’re here? -Yes, of course she knows. | -凯蒂知道你在这里吗? -是的 她当然知道 |
[42:12] | Of course she knows. | 她当然知道 |
[42:14] | We’re awful people. Selfish, awful people. | 我们是可怕的人 自私的可怕的人 |
[42:19] | Forget I asked. | 当我没说 |
[42:20] | Selfish, awful people, | 自私 可怕的人 |
[42:22] | they don’t know they’re selfish and awful. | 他们不知道自己很自私 很可怕 |
[42:25] | Sit, sit, sit. | 坐 坐 坐 |
[42:28] | Robert, you see beyond the world we live in. | 罗伯特 你能看到我们生活之外的世界 |
[42:34] | There is a price to be paid for that. | 这是要付出代价的 |
[42:36] | Of course we’ll help you. | 我们当然会帮助你 |
[42:49] | Everything’s changing, Robert. | 一切都变了 罗伯特 |
[42:51] | Having a child was always going to change… | 有了孩子总是会改变 |
[42:53] | No, the world is pivoting in some new direction. | 不 世界正在急速转向 |
[42:58] | Reforming. | 变革 |
[43:01] | This is your moment. | 属于你的时刻到来了 |
[43:04] | -We’re putting together a group to study… -We shouldn’t be doing anything. | -我们正在组织一个研究小组 -我们什么都做不了 |
[43:08] | You should. | 你可以 |
[43:10] | Lawrence won’t get this done. | 劳伦斯做不了 |
[43:12] | Or Tolman or Rabi. You will. | 托尔曼或者拉比也不行 但你可以 |
[43:23] | Who are the uniforms? | 这些穿军装的是什么人? |
[43:26] | I thought you might know. | 我还以为你知道 |
[43:29] | Dr. Oppenheimer. | 奥本海默博士 |
[43:32] | I’m Colonel Groves. This is Lieutenant Colonel Nichols. | 我是格罗夫斯上校 这位是尼科尔斯中校 |
[43:35] | Have that dry cleaned. | 拿去干洗 |
[43:42] | Well, if that’s how you treat a lieutenant colonel, | 如果你就是这样对待一位中校的话 |
[43:45] | I’d hate to see how you treat a… humble physicist. | 我不敢想象你如何对待一个……普通的物理学家 |
[43:48] | If I ever meet one, I’ll let you know. | 我遇到的物理学家都不普通 |
[43:51] | -Ouch. -Theaters of combat all over the world, | -啊哈 -全世界都在打仗 |
[43:54] | but I have to stay in Washington. | 可我不得不呆在华盛顿 |
[43:56] | -Why? -I built the Pentagon. | -为什么? -我建造了五角大楼 |
[43:58] | The brass likes it so much, | 上头非常喜欢 |
[43:59] | they made me take over the Manhattan Engineer District. | 所以让我接管了曼哈顿工程区 |
[44:03] | -Which is? -Don’t be a smartass. | -那是什么? -别耍聪明 |
[44:06] | You know damn well what it is. | 你很清楚那是什么 |
[44:08] | You and half of every physics department across the country. | 你和全国一半的物理系都知道 |
[44:10] | That’s problem number one. | 那就是首要问题 |
[44:12] | I thought problem number one would be securing enough uranium ore. | 我以为首要问题是确保足够的铀矿石 |
[44:15] | -1,200 tons, bought the day I took charge. -Processing? | -1200吨 在我接管的第一天购买的 -加工? |
[44:19] | Just broke ground at Oak Ridge, Tennessee. | 我刚刚在田纳西州橡树岭破土动工 |
[44:22] | Now I’m looking for a project director. | 现在我正在寻找一个项目主管 |
[44:25] | And my name came up? | 然后你想到了我? |
[44:27] | Nope. | 不是的 |
[44:28] | Even though you brought quantum physics to America, which made me curious. | 尽管你把量子物理带到了美国 这引起了我对你的好奇心 |
[44:33] | What have you found out? | 你发现了什么? |
[44:35] | You’re a dilettante, a womanizer, a suspected communist. | 你是个半吊子 花花公子 被怀疑是共产主义者 |
[44:39] | -I’m a New Deal Democrat. -I said “suspected”. | -我是新政民主党人 -我说的是“被怀疑” |
[44:42] | Unstable, theatrical, egotistical, neurotic. | 不稳定 戏剧化 自我中心 神经质 |
[44:46] | Nothing good, no? | 没有好的吗? |
[44:47] | Not even “he’s brilliant, but…” | 连“他很聪明,但……”都没有 |
[44:49] | Well, brilliance is taken for granted in your circle, so no. | 在你的圈子里 聪明是必须的 所以 没有 |
[44:52] | No, the only person who had anything good to say was Richard Tolman. | 只有一个人说了好话——理查德·托尔曼 |
[44:56] | Tolman thinks you have integrity, | 他认为你很正直 |
[44:58] | but he also strikes me as a guy who knows more about science than people. | 但托尔曼给我的感觉是他更了解科学,而不是人 |
[45:03] | Yet here you are. | 可你还是来了 |
[45:05] | You don’t take much on trust. | 你不太相信别人 |
[45:07] | I don’t take anything on trust. | 我不相信任何人 |
[45:12] | Why don’t you have a Nobel Prize? | 为什么你没有拿诺贝尔奖? |
[45:14] | -Why aren’t you a general? -They’re making me one for this. | -为什么你不是将军? -也许完成项目后 会晋升我为将军 |
[45:16] | Perhaps I’ll have the same luck. | 也许我会有同样的好运 |
[45:18] | The Nobel Prize for making a bomb? | 因为制造炸弹获得诺贝尔奖? |
[45:19] | Alfred Nobel invented dynamite. | 阿尔弗雷德·诺贝尔发明了炸药 |
[45:24] | So how would you proceed? | 那你打算怎么造? |
[45:27] | You’re talking about turning theory into a practical weapon system | 你说的是把理论变成实用的武器系统 |
[45:32] | faster than the Nazis. -Who have a 12-month head start. | 赶在纳粹前头 -他们领先我们12个月 |
[45:35] | -18 -How could you possibly know that? | -你怎么知道的? -18. |
[45:38] | Our fast neutron research took six months. | 我们的快中子研究花了六个月 |
[45:40] | The man they’ve undoubtedly put in charge will have made that leap instantly. | 毫无疑问 他们任命的负责人能不费吹灰之力搞定 |
[45:43] | -Who do you think they put in charge? -Werner Heisenberg. | -你以为他们让谁负责? -维尔纳·海森堡 |
[45:45] | He has the most intuitive understanding of atomic structure I have ever seen. | 他对原子结构有着我所见过的最直观的理解 |
[45:49] | -You know his work? -I know him, | -你了解他的工作? -我了解他 |
[45:51] | just like I know Walther Bothe, von Weizsäcker, Diebner. | 就像我了解沃尔特·波特 冯·魏茨萨克 迪布纳一样 |
[45:54] | In a straight race, the Germans win. | 在直道比赛中 德国人赢了 |
[45:56] | -We’ve got one hope. -Which is? | -我们只有一个希望 -是什么? |
[45:59] | Antisemitism. | 反犹主义 |
[46:02] | What? | 什么? |
[46:03] | Hitler called quantum physics “Jewish science”. | 希特勒称量子物理学为“犹太科学” |
[46:06] | Said it right to Einstein’s face. | 当着爱因斯坦的面说的 |
[46:07] | Our one hope is that Hitler is so blinded by hate | 我们唯一的希望是希特勒被仇恨蒙蔽了双眼 |
[46:11] | that he’s denied Heisenberg proper resources, | 没有为海森堡提供适当的资源 |
[46:13] | because it’ll take vast resources. | 因为这将需要大量的资源 |
[46:15] | Our nation’s best scientists working together. Right now, they’re scattered. | 我们国家最优秀的科学家 如果能团结合作——现在他们还分散在各处 |
[46:18] | Which gives us compartmentalization. | 我们称之为分隔化管理 |
[46:20] | All minds have to see the whole task to contribute efficiently. | 所有人必须共享信息才能有效地做出贡献 |
[46:23] | Poor security may cost us the race. | 过度的安全性可能会让我们输掉这场竞赛 |
[46:25] | Inefficiency will. | 低效率也会 |
[46:27] | The Germans know more than us anyway. | 不管怎样 德国人比我们知道得更多 |
[46:29] | The Russians don’t. | 俄国人不知道 |
[46:32] | Remind me, who are we at war with? | 提醒一下 我们正在与谁交战? |
[46:35] | Somebody with your past doesn’t want to be seen downplaying | 有你这样过去的人不该被人看到轻视 |
[46:38] | the importance of security from our communist allies. | 来自我们共产主义盟友的安全的重要性 |
[46:42] | Point taken, but… no. | 你说得对 但不是这个问题 |
[46:45] | You don’t get to say no to me. | 你不可以对我说“不” |
[46:47] | It’s my job to say no to you when you’re wrong. | 我的工作就是在你错误时对你说“不” |
[46:50] | So you have the job now? | 所以你现在得到这份工作了? |
[46:51] | Uh, I’m considering it. | 噢 我还在考虑 |
[46:56] | I’m starting to see where you got your reputation. | 我开始明白你是怎么获得你的声誉的了 |
[46:59] | My favorite response: | 我最喜欢的回答是 |
[47:02] | “Oppenheimer couldn’t run a hamburger stand.” | “奥本海默甚至不能经营一个汉堡摊” |
[47:06] | I couldn’t. | 我做不到 |
[47:09] | But I can run the Manhattan Project. | 但我可以负责曼哈顿计划 |
[47:12] | There’s a way to balance these things. | 有个办法可以平衡这些东西 |
[47:15] | Keep the Rad Lab here at Berkeley, under Lawrence. | 把放射实验室留在伯克利 由劳伦斯领导 |
[47:19] | Met Lab in Chicago, under Szilard. | 芝加哥的气象实验室 由西拉德领导 |
[47:21] | Large-scale refining, where did you say, Tennessee? | 大型炼油厂 你说哪里来着 田纳西? |
[47:23] | -And Hanford. | -还有汉福德 -还有汉福德 -And Hanford. |
[47:25] | All America’s industrial-minded scientific innovation, | 美国所有的工业力量和科技创新 |
[47:29] | connected by rail, focused on one goal, | 通过铁路连接 集中于一个目标 |
[47:32] | one point in space and time. | 时空中的一点 |
[47:34] | And it comes together here, a secret laboratory. | 它们聚集在这里 一个秘密实验室 |
[47:36] | In the middle of nowhere, secure, self-sufficient. | 位于荒野中心 安全 自给自足 |
[47:39] | Equipment, housing, the works. | 设备 房屋 工程 |
[47:40] | Keep everyone there until it’s done. | 完成之前任何人都不准离开 |
[47:43] | -We’ll need a school, stores, a church. -Why? | -我们需要学校 商店 教堂 -为什么? |
[47:46] | If we don’t let scientists bring their families, we’ll never get the best. | 如果不让他们带家属 我们永远请不到最好的科学家 |
[47:49] | You want security, build a town. Build it fast. | 你想要安全 就建一个小镇 越快越好 |
[47:52] | Where? | 在哪儿? |
[47:57] | Welcome to Los Alamos. | 欢迎来到洛斯阿拉莫斯 |
[47:59] | There’s a boys’ school we’ll have to commandeer, | 我们要征用一所男子学校 |
[48:01] | and the local Indians come up here for burial rites, | 当地的印第安人来这里举行葬礼 |
[48:03] | but apart from that, nothing. | 但除此之外 方圆40英里 |
[48:05] | 40 miles. Any direction. | 一无所有 |
[48:06] | We’ll have to find the perfect spot. | 我们得找个好地方 |
[48:08] | -For? -Success. | -为什么? -为了成功 |
[48:16] | Build him a town. Fast. | 给他建个小镇 要快 |
[48:20] | Let’s go recruit some scientists. | 我们去招募一些科学家 |
[48:22] | Why would I leave my family? | 我为什么要离开我的家人? |
[48:24] | I told you, you can bring your family. | 我说过了 你可以带家属 |
[48:25] | -I’m not a soldier, Oppie. -A soldier? | -我不是士兵 奥比 -士兵? |
[48:28] | He’s a general. I’ve got all the soldier I need. | 他是个将军 我想要多少士兵都行 |
[48:31] | What can I tell them? | 我怎么跟他们说? |
[48:33] | Heisenberg, Diebner, Bothe and Bohr. What do these men have in common? | 海森堡 迪布纳 玻尔 这些人有什么共同点? |
[48:36] | -Uh, the greatest minds on atomic theory. -Yes, and? | -嗯 原子理论最伟大的头脑 -是的 然后呢? |
[48:40] | As much as you like. | 随你怎么说 |
[48:43] | Until you feel my boot on your balls. | 有事的话我会用鞋子踹你裤裆 |
[48:46] | You know isotopes, and you know explosives better than anyone in the world. | 你了解同位素 你比世界上任何人都了解炸药 |
[48:49] | But you can’t tell us what you’re doing. | 但你不能告诉我们你在做什么 |
[48:55] | -I don’t know. -The Nazis have them. | -我不知道 -他们在纳粹手上 |
[48:57] | Niels Bohr’s in Copenhagen. | 尼尔斯·玻尔在哥本哈根 |
[48:58] | Under Nazi occupation. Did they stop printing newspapers in Princeton? | 在纳粹占领下 普林斯顿停止印刷报纸了吗? |
[49:01] | Why would we go to the middle of nowhere for who knows how long? | 我们为什么要去一个鸟不拉屎的地方 谁知道要去多久? |
[49:05] | For a year or two. Or three. | 一两年 或者三年吧 |
[49:08] | General, could you… give us a moment? | 将军 能让我们单独谈谈吗? |
[49:13] | It’s about unleashing a strong force. | 这是为了释放巨大的力量 |
[49:17] | Before the Nazis do. | 抢在纳粹之前 |
[49:19] | Oh my god. | 我的天 |
[49:20] | -Niels won’t work for the Nazis. -No, never. | -尼尔斯不会为纳粹工作的 -不 从来没有 |
[49:23] | But while they have him, we don’t. | 但只要他们抓住了他 我们就没辙 |
[49:25] | That’s why I need you. | 所以我才需要你 |
[49:26] | Why would you think I’d do that? | 你为什么觉得我会这么做? |
[49:28] | Why? Why? | 为什么? 为什么? |
[49:30] | How about because this is the most important fucking thing | 因为这是他妈世界历史上 |
[49:32] | to ever happen in the history of the world? | 最重大的事件 还不够吗? |
[49:35] | How about that? | 想想吧? |
[49:36] | Fuck. | 妈的 |
[49:42] | They’re not gonna let me onto this project. | 他们不会让我参与这个项目的 |
[49:45] | And failing a security check | 还没通过安全检查 |
[49:47] | is not going to be good for a career even after the war. | 即使战争结束后 也不利于职业发展 |
[49:49] | So you’re a fellow traveler. So what? | 所以你也是同路人 那又怎样? |
[49:52] | This is a national emergency. | 全国处于紧急状态 |
[49:53] | I’ve got some skeletons. They put me in charge. | 我有些不可告人的秘密 他们让我负责 |
[49:56] | They need us. | 他们需要我们 |
[49:58] | Until they don’t. | 卸磨杀驴而已 |
[50:03] | Is there any chance of getting Bohr out of Denmark? | 有没有可能把玻尔弄出丹麦? |
[50:05] | Yeah, no dice. I checked with the British. | 不可能 我问过英国人了 |
[50:09] | Until we get Allied boots back onto the continent, there’s just no way. | 除非我们的大军能打回欧洲大陆 否则没门 |
[50:14] | Is he that important? | 他有那么重要吗? |
[50:15] | How many people do you know who proved Einstein wrong? | 你认识多少人证明爱因斯坦是错的? |
[50:20] | You know, it really would be quicker to take a plane. | 你知道吗 坐飞机真的会更快 |
[50:22] | A plane’s too risky. | 飞机太危险了 |
[50:23] | The country needs us. | 我们是国之重器 |
[50:28] | What happened, guys? | 怎么了 伙计们? |
[50:29] | They say the building’s too small for this cyclotron. | 他们说这栋建筑太小了 无法容纳回旋加速器 |
[50:34] | Get them together with the architects. | 给他们找建筑师来 |
[50:39] | When’s this place supposed to open? | 这地方什么时候开张? |
[50:44] | Two months. | 两个月 |
[50:46] | Robert, you’re the great improviser, but this… | 罗伯特 你很擅长激励人心 但…… |
[50:50] | you can’t do in your head. | 做事不能光凭热情 |
[50:53] | Four divisions. | 我有四个师 |
[50:56] | Experimental, theoretical, metallurgical. | 实验 理论 冶金 |
[50:59] | Who’s running theoretical? | 谁领导理论? |
[51:01] | I am. | 我 |
[51:02] | That’s what I was afraid of. You’re spread too thin. | 这就是我所担心的 你摊子铺得太大 |
[51:06] | So you take theoretical. | 那就你来负责理论 |
[51:10] | I’m not coming here, Robert. | 我不会参与的 罗伯特 |
[51:19] | Why not? | 为什么不呢? |
[51:27] | You drop a bomb and it falls on the just and the unjust. | 你扔下一颗炸弹 同时落在正义和不正义的人身上 |
[51:32] | I don’t wish the culmination of three centuries of physics | 我不希望三个世纪物理学的巅峰成就 |
[51:35] | to be a weapon of mass destruction. | 成为大规模杀伤性武器 |
[51:46] | Izzy… | 伊兹…… |
[51:48] | I don’t know if we can be trusted with such a weapon. | 我不知道我们是否有资格拥有这么强大的武器 |
[51:54] | But I know the Nazis can’t. | 但我知道纳粹不行 |
[52:01] | We have no choice. | 我们别无选择 |
[52:05] | Then… | 所以…… |
[52:08] | The second thing you have to do | 你要做的第二件事 |
[52:10] | is appoint Hans Bethe to run the theoretical division. | 是任命汉斯·贝特管理理论部门 |
[52:15] | Wait, what was the first? | 等等 第一件事是什么? |
[52:17] | Take off that ridiculous uniform. | 脱下那身可笑的军服 |
[52:20] | You’re a scientist. | 你是个科学家 |
[52:21] | Groves is insisting we join. | 格罗夫斯坚持要我们参军 |
[52:23] | Tell Groves to go shit in his hat. | 让格罗夫滚犊子吧 |
[52:25] | They need us for who we are. | 他们需要真正的我们 |
[52:27] | So be yourself. | 做你自己吧 |
[52:29] | Only better. | 只会更好 |
[53:10] | This is the only key. | 这是唯一的钥匙 |
[53:11] | And Teller’s already here. | 泰勒已经到了 |
[53:14] | -Shall I just show him in? -No, let’s wait for the others. | -要我带他进来吗? -不 等其他人到齐 |
[53:24] | Let’s get started. | 我们开始吧 |
[53:26] | -Hello, Edward. -Yes. | -你好 爱德华 -好 |
[53:29] | Gentlemen, so, we will work here | 先生们 那么 我们就在这里工作 |
[53:31] | until the T Section at Los Alamos is finished. | 直到洛斯阿拉莫斯的T区完工 |
[53:34] | -Edward, can I…? -This is more important. | -爱德华 我能…… -这个更重要 |
[53:38] | When I calculated the chain reaction, I found a rather troubling possibility. | 当我计算连锁反应时 我发现了一个相当棘手的可能性 |
[53:43] | No, this can’t be right. | 不 这不可能 |
[53:47] | Show me how you did your calculations. | 说说你是怎么计算的 |
[53:49] | Yes. | 行 |
[53:53] | -Exponential. -No, no, no. No. | -指数级 -不 不 不 不 |
[54:00] | This is fantasy. | 不可思议 |
[54:02] | Teller’s calculations can’t be right. | 泰勒的计算不可能正确 |
[54:04] | Do them yourself while I go to Princeton. | 你们先各干各的 我去趟普林斯顿 |
[54:07] | -What for? -To talk to Einstein. | -去干吗? -找爱因斯坦谈谈 |
[54:09] | Well, there’s not much common ground between the two. | 可 这两者之间没什么共同点 |
[54:11] | That’s why I should get his view. | 这就是为什么我应该听听他的意见 |
[54:18] | -Albert. -Hmm? | -阿尔伯特 -嗯? |
[54:19] | Ah, Dr. Oppenheimer. | 是你 奥本海默博士 |
[54:22] | Have you met Dr. Gödel? | 你见过哥德尔博士吗? |
[54:24] | We walk here most days. | 我们大部分时间都在这里散步 |
[54:26] | Trees have the most inspiring structures. | 森林有着最激动人心的结构 |
[54:30] | Albert, might I have a word? | 阿尔伯特 我能和你说句话吗? |
[54:32] | Of course. Excuse me, Kurt. | 当然 对不起 科特 |
[54:36] | Some days Kurt refuses to eat. | 有时候科特拒绝吃东西 |
[54:39] | Even in Princeton, he’s convinced that the Nazis can poison his food. | 即使在普林斯顿 他也坚信纳粹可以在他的食物里下毒 |
[54:55] | Whose, whose work is this? | 这是谁做的? |
[54:58] | Teller’s. | 泰勒 |
[55:00] | What do you take it to mean? | 你认为这意味着什么? |
[55:03] | Neutrons smash into the nucleus, | 中子撞击原子核 |
[55:05] | releasing neutrons to smash into other nuclei. | 释放中子撞击其他原子核 |
[55:09] | Criticality. | 临界质量 |
[55:10] | Point of no return. Massive explosive force. | 超过临界点 巨大的爆炸力 |
[55:13] | But this time, the chain reaction doesn’t stop. | 可一旦 连锁反应没有停止 |
[55:16] | It would ignite the atmosphere. | 整个大气层都会被点燃 |
[55:20] | When we detonate an atomic device, we might start a chain reaction that… | 当我们引爆原子装置 我们可能会引发连锁反应 |
[55:25] | destroys the world. | 毁灭世界 |
[55:28] | So here we are, hmm? | 所以来找我 嗯? |
[55:30] | Lost in your quantum world of probabilities, | 你迷失在量子的概率世界里了 |
[55:34] | and needing certainty. | 亟需确定性 |
[55:36] | Can you run the calculations yourself? | 你能亲自计算一下吗? |
[55:39] | About the only thing you and I have in common | 我们唯一的共同点 |
[55:42] | is a disdain for mathematics. | 是对数学的蔑视 |
[55:44] | Who’s working on this in Berkeley? | 谁在伯克利负责这个? |
[55:46] | Hans Bethe. | 汉斯·贝特 |
[55:47] | Well, he’ll get to the truth. | 他会查出真相的 |
[55:51] | And if the truth is catastrophic? | 如果真相是灾难性的呢? |
[55:54] | Then you stop, and you share your findings with the Nazis. | 那么你就停下来 和纳粹共享你的发现 |
[55:59] | So neither side destroys the world. | 这样双方都不会毁灭世界了 |
[56:05] | Robert. | 罗伯特 |
[56:08] | This is yours, not mine. | 这是你的 不是我的 |
[56:24] | Teller’s wrong. | 泰勒错了 |
[56:25] | He’s wrong. | 他错了 |
[56:36] | When you know Teller’s critical assumptions, the real picture emerges. | 当你了解泰勒的关键假设后 真相就浮出水面 |
[56:40] | Bottom line? | 最底限呢? |
[56:42] | The chances of an out-of-control nuclear reaction are near-zero. | 核反应失控的可能性几乎为零 |
[56:45] | Near-zero. | 几乎为零 |
[56:48] | Oppie, this is good news. | 奥比 这是好消息 |
[56:49] | Mm-hmm. | 嗯哼 |
[56:51] | Can you run them again? | 你能再算一遍吗? |
[56:53] | Oh, you’ll get the same answer. | 噢 算多少遍答案都一样 |
[56:54] | Until they actually detonate one of these things, | 这是你在真正引爆之前 |
[56:56] | the best assurance you’re going to get is this. | 所能得到的最佳保证 |
[56:59] | Near-zero. | 几乎为零 |
[57:03] | Theory will take you only so far. | 理论总是灰色的 |
[57:06] | -Hello! -Hi. | 你好! 嗨 |
[57:08] | We missed him. | 我们好想他 |
[57:09] | You want to adopt? | 你想领养吗? |
[57:10] | She’s kidding. | 她开玩笑的 |
[57:11] | We wanted to see you before we left. | 我们想在走之前见见你 |
[57:14] | For parts unknown. | 为了不能说的秘密 |
[57:17] | You know who I ran into the other day? | 你知道前几天我碰见谁了? |
[57:20] | Eltenton. | 埃尔坦登 |
[57:22] | That chemist from Shell? The union guy? | 那个壳牌公司化学家? 工会的? |
[57:25] | Yeah, the FAECT guy. | 是啊 FAECT那家伙 |
[57:29] | He was moaning about how we’re handling the war. | 他在抱怨我们投入战争的方法 |
[57:32] | How so? | 怎么了? |
[57:34] | Lack of cooperation with our allies. | 与我们的盟友缺乏合作 |
[57:37] | Apparently, our government’s not sharing any research with the Russians. | 显然 我们的政府没有和俄国分享任何研究成果 |
[57:41] | He said most scientists think the policy is stupid. | 他说 大多数科学家认为这项政策是愚蠢的 |
[57:48] | -Oh, yeah? -Yeah. | -哦 是吗? -是的 |
[57:51] | He mentioned that if anyone had anything they wanted to pass on, | 他提到如果有人想传递什么信息 |
[57:55] | going around official channels, that he could help. | 他可以帮忙 通过官方渠道 |
[58:08] | That would be treason. | 那是叛国罪 |
[58:10] | Yes, of course. | 是的 当然 |
[58:12] | I just thought you should know. | 我只是觉得你应该知道 |
[58:17] | The brat is down. | 小家伙睡着了 |
[58:19] | Where are the martinis? | 马提尼酒呢? |
[58:25] | Coming right up. | 马上就来 |
[58:27] | The conversation ended there. | 谈话到此结束 |
[58:29] | Nothing in our long-standing friendship would have led me to believe | 我们是多年的好友 我绝不相信 |
[58:32] | that Chevalier was actually seeking information, | 舍瓦利耶实际上是在试探口风 |
[58:35] | and I am certain that he had no idea of the work in which I was engaged. | 我敢肯定他对我所从事的工作一无所知 |
[58:44] | It has long been clear to me that I should have reported this incident at once. | 我早就清楚地意识到 我应该立即报告此事 |
[58:49] | The Oppenheimer situation highlights the tension | 奥本海默事件凸显了科学家与安全机构之间 |
[58:52] | between scientists and the security apparatus. | 剑拔弩张的关系 |
[58:55] | In hopes of learning how the nominee handled such issues | 希望能了解提名人在任职期原子能委员会期间 |
[58:57] | during his time at the AEC, | 是如何处理这些问题的 |
[59:00] | we’ll have a scientist appearing before the committee. | 我们将有一个科学家在委员会前作证 |
[59:04] | Who are they bringing in? | 他们请的是谁? |
[59:05] | They hadn’t said. | 他们没说 |
[59:06] | Mr. Chairman, if I may, I’m nominated for Commerce Secretary. | 主席先生 有个问题 我被提名为商务部长 |
[59:10] | Why seek the opinion of scientists? | 为何要征求科学家的意见? |
[59:13] | This is a cabinet post, Admiral. | 这是内阁职位 将军 |
[59:15] | We seek a wide range of opinion. | 我们广泛征求各种意见 |
[59:17] | I’d like to know the name of the scientist testifying. | 我想知道作证的科学家是谁 |
[59:20] | I’d like the chance to cross-examine. | 我希望有机会交叉询问 |
[59:22] | This is not a court. | 这里不是法庭 |
[59:25] | Formality, huh? | 例行公事 嗯? |
[59:26] | No presidential cabinet nominee has failed to be confirmed since 1925. | 自1925年以来 没有一位总统内阁提名人未经国会确认 |
[59:30] | This is just how the game is played. | 这就是政治的游戏规则 |
[59:32] | It’s in the bag, Lewis. So play nice. | 十拿九稳 刘易斯 所以放轻松 |
[59:35] | They bring in a scientist, so what? | 他们带来了一个科学家 那又怎样? |
[59:37] | You don’t know scientists like I do, Counselor. | 你不像我这么了解科学家 律师先生 |
[59:39] | They resent anyone who questions their judgment, | 他们憎恨任何质疑他们判断力的人 |
[59:41] | especially if you’re not one of them. | 特别是当你不是他们中一员的时候 |
[59:43] | I was chair of the AEC. | 我曾担任原子能委员会主席 |
[59:44] | I’m easy to blame for what happened to Robert. | 罗伯特的事很容易怪罪到我头上 |
[59:46] | We can’t have the Senate thinking | 我们不能让参议院认为 |
[59:48] | the scientific community doesn’t support you, sir. | 科学界不支持你 先生 |
[59:51] | Or should we pivot? | 或者我们应该转向? |
[59:53] | -To what? -And embrace it. | -什么? -豁出去 |
[59:56] | “I fought Oppenheimer, and the US won.” | “我打败了奥本海默 美国赢了” |
[59:58] | I don’t think we need to go there. | 我觉得我们没必要这么做 |
[59:59] | Isn’t there someone we can call who knows what really happened? | 难道就没有人知道到底发生了什么吗? |
[1:00:02] | -Teller. -He’ll make an impression. | -泰勒 -他会留下深刻印象的 |
[1:00:04] | Can you get the name of the scientist they’ve called? | 你能知道他们找的那个科学家的名字吗? |
[1:00:05] | -Probably. -Find out if he was based in Chicago | -试试看 -查查他是否住在芝加哥 |
[1:00:08] | or Los Alamos during the war. | 或者战争时期在洛斯阿拉莫斯 |
[1:00:10] | Why does that matter? | 这很重要吗? |
[1:00:11] | Well, if he was based in Chicago, they worked under Szilard and Fermi, | 如果他常住芝加哥 那就是西拉德和费米手下的人 |
[1:00:13] | not the cult to Bobby in Los Alamos. | 不是洛斯阿拉莫斯那帮奥比的狂热崇拜者 |
[1:00:16] | Robert built that damn place. He was founder, mayor, sheriff. | 罗伯特建造了那个鬼地方 他是创始人 市长 警长 |
[1:00:20] | All rolled into one. | 统统集于一身 |
[1:00:34] | Now all it needs is a saloon. | 万事俱备 只欠酒吧 |
[1:01:05] | There’s no kitchen. | 没有厨房 |
[1:01:08] | Really? We’ll fix that. | 真的吗? 我们会解决的 |
[1:01:17] | Barbed wire? Guns? | 铁丝网? 枪? |
[1:01:20] | -Oppie… -We’re at war, Hans. | -奥比…… -我们在打仗 汉斯 |
[1:01:25] | Halifax. | 哈利法克斯 |
[1:01:27] | 1917. | 1917年 |
[1:01:28] | A cargo ship carrying munitions explodes in the harbor. | 一艘载有军火的货船在港口发生爆炸 |
[1:01:33] | A vast and sudden chemical reaction. | 一次巨大而突然的化学反应 |
[1:01:40] | The biggest man-made explosion in history. | 这是史上最大的人为爆炸 |
[1:01:43] | Now, let’s calculate how much more destructive it would have been | 现在 让我们计算一下它的破坏力有多大 |
[1:01:46] | if it were a nuclear and not a chemical reaction, | 如果这是核反应而不是化学反应 |
[1:01:50] | expressing power in terms of tons of TNT. | 以吨TNT来表示能量 |
[1:01:53] | But it will be thousands. | 但会是上千级别 |
[1:01:55] | Well, then, kilotons. | 那就 千吨 |
[1:02:01] | Using U-235, | 使用U-235 |
[1:02:05] | the bomb will need a… -Uh… | -原子弹需要一…… -呃…… |
[1:02:07] | Sorry. Gadget will need a 33-pound sphere | 抱歉 装置需要一个33磅重的球体 |
[1:02:10] | about this size, | 大概这么大 |
[1:02:12] | or using plutonium, a ten-pound sphere. | 或者使用钚 一个十磅重的球体 |
[1:02:17] | Here’s the amount of uranium Oak Ridge refined all of last month. | 这是橡树岭上个月提炼的铀的总量 |
[1:02:25] | And the Hanford plant made this much plutonium. | 而汉福德工厂生产了这么多钚 |
[1:02:30] | Now, if we can enrich these amounts, we need a way to detonate them. | 现在 如果我们能浓缩这些数量 我们需要一种方法来引爆它们 |
[1:02:35] | Are we boring you, Edward? | 我们让你无聊了吗 爱德华? |
[1:02:37] | A little bit, yes. | 有一点 是的 |
[1:02:39] | May I ask why? | 我能问问为什么吗? |
[1:02:40] | We all entered this room knowing a fission bomb was possible. | 我们走进这个房间时 都知道制造裂变炸弹是可能的 |
[1:02:44] | How about we leave it with something new? | 不如我们换个新点子吧? |
[1:02:46] | Such as? | 比如? |
[1:02:48] | Instead of uranium or plutonium, we use hydrogen. | 我们用氢代替铀或钚 |
[1:02:52] | Heavy hydrogen. Deuterium. | 重氢 氘 |
[1:02:56] | You see, we compact the atoms together | 你看 我们把原子压缩在一起 |
[1:02:58] | under great pressure to induce a fusion reaction. | 在巨大的压力之下引发聚变反应 |
[1:03:03] | Then we’ll get not kilotons, but megatons. | 然后我们得到的不是千吨级 而是百万吨级当量 |
[1:03:08] | Okay, hang on, hang on. | 没事 等等 等等 |
[1:03:10] | So how do you generate enough force to fuse hydrogen atoms? | 那么如何产生足够的能量来聚合氢原子呢? |
[1:03:15] | A small fission bomb. | 一颗小型原子弹 |
[1:03:17] | There we are! | 这不一样吗! |
[1:03:20] | Well, since we’re going to need one anyway, | 好吧 既然我们无论如何都需要一个 |
[1:03:22] | can we get back to the business at hand? | 我们能回到正题上来吗? |
[1:03:24] | The isotopes issue wasn’t your most important | 同位素问题不是最重要的 |
[1:03:27] | policy disagreement with Dr. Oppenheimer. | 与奥本海默博士的政策分歧 |
[1:03:30] | It was the hydrogen bomb, wasn’t it? | 是氢弹 对吧? |
[1:03:33] | As colleagues, we agreed to disagree on a great many things, uh… | 作为同事 我们承认在很多事情上存在分歧 |
[1:03:38] | And one of them was the need for an H-bomb program, yes. | 其中之一就是需要一个氢弹项目 没错 |
[1:03:55] | Thanks for convening on short notice. | 谢谢大家临时来参加会议 |
[1:03:58] | I can’t believe it. | 非常难得 |
[1:04:00] | But here we are. Catch me up. What do we know? | 人到齐了 跟我说说 我们现在知道些什么? |
[1:04:04] | One of our B-29s over the North Pacific has detected radiation. | 我们的一架B-29轰炸机在北太平洋上空探测到辐射 |
[1:04:08] | -Do we have the filter papers? -There’s no doubt what this is. | -我们有过滤纸吗? -毫无疑问这意味着什么 |
[1:04:11] | -White House says there’s a doubt. -Wishful thinking, I’m afraid. | -白宫表示有疑问 -恐怕是一厢情愿 |
[1:04:14] | Are those the long-range detection filter papers? | 那些是远程探测滤纸吗? |
[1:04:18] | It’s an atomic test. | 这是一次原子弹试验 |
[1:04:23] | The Russians have a bomb. | 俄国人有原子弹了 |
[1:04:25] | We’re supposed to be years ahead of them, but this… | 咱们不是应该领先他们几年吗 那这…… |
[1:04:28] | What were you guys doing in Los Alamos? Wasn’t security tight? | 你们在洛斯拉莫斯忙什么? 安保不是很严密吗? |
[1:04:31] | -Of course it was. You weren’t there. -Forgive me, Doctor. | -当然了 你又不在现场 -原谅我 博士 |
[1:04:36] | But I was there. | 但我当时在那里 |
[1:04:39] | We can now consider the actual mechanics of detonation. | 我们现在可以考虑爆炸的实际机制 |
[1:04:42] | -Any ideas? -I call this shooting. | -有什么想法吗? -我管这叫枪式 |
[1:04:45] | We fire a chunk of fissionable material into a larger sphere | 我们把一大块可裂变材料发射到一个更大的球体中 |
[1:04:49] | with enough force to achieve criticality. | 以足够的力量达到临界质量 |
[1:04:52] | -What do we think? Anyone? -I’ve been thinking about implosion. | -你们觉得呢?谁说一说? -我一直在考虑内爆式 |
[1:04:55] | Explosives around the sphere blast inwards, crushing the material. | 球体周围的爆炸物向内爆炸 粉碎材料 |
[1:04:59] | -I’d like to investigate that idea. -I’ll talk to ordnance. | -我想研究一下这个想法 -我去跟制造商谈谈 |
[1:05:02] | Get you blowing things up. | 让你把东西炸飞 |
[1:05:04] | -Progress? -Nice to see you too. | -进展顺利? -我也很高兴见到你 |
[1:05:07] | Meet the British contingent. | 来见见英国代表团 |
[1:05:09] | Dr. Oppenheimer. Klaus Fuchs. | 奥本海默博士 克劳斯·福克斯 |
[1:05:11] | -How long have you been British? -Since Hitler told me I wasn’t German. | -你到英国多久了? -自从希特勒告诉我 我不是德国人 |
[1:05:14] | Ah. Come, welcome to Los Alamos. | 好啊 欢迎来到洛斯阿拉莫斯 |
[1:05:18] | The school’s up and running. | 学校已经开学了 |
[1:05:19] | -The bar. -Always running. | -酒吧 -24小时营业 |
[1:05:23] | And I thought of a way to reduce support staff. | 我想到了一个减少后勤人员的好办法 |
[1:05:26] | -Is that…? -Mrs. Serber, yes. | -那是……? -塞伯尔太太 是的 |
[1:05:28] | I’ve offered jobs to all the wives, admin, librarians, computation. | 我给所有的妻子提供管理员 图书管理员 计算员的工作 |
[1:05:32] | We cut down on staff, keep families together. | 既能减员 又让家人团聚 |
[1:05:34] | -Are these women qualified? -Don’t be absurd. | -这些女人够资格吗? -别傻了 |
[1:05:36] | These are some of the brightest minds in our community. | 她们都是我们社区里一些最聪明的人 |
[1:05:38] | And they’re already security cleared. | 而且她们已经通过了安全检查 |
[1:05:40] | I’ve informed General Groves you’ve been holding cross-divisional | 我已经汇报格罗夫斯将军你一直在举行跨部门会议 |
[1:05:42] | open discussions on a nightly basis. -Shut them down. | 每晚公开讨论 -关闭它们 |
[1:05:45] | Compartmentalization is the key | 分隔化管理是重中之重 |
[1:05:47] | to maintaining security… -Only the top men. | 为了严格保密 -仅限最高层人员 |
[1:05:49] | Who presumably communicate with subordinates. | 那些需要与下属沟通的人 |
[1:05:51] | These men aren’t stupid. They can be discreet. | 这些人不傻 他们很谨慎 |
[1:05:53] | -I don’t like it. -You don’t like anything enough | -我不喜欢这样 -你什么都不喜欢 |
[1:05:55] | for that to be a fair test. | 这是一个公平的测试 |
[1:06:02] | Once a week. Top men only. | 一周一次 仅限高层人士参加 |
[1:06:05] | -I’d like to bring my brother here. -No. | -我想带我弟弟来这里 -不 |
[1:06:09] | Nichols? | 尼科尔斯? |
[1:06:11] | I still haven’t heard that my security clearance has been approved. | 我还没听说我的安全许可获得批准 |
[1:06:14] | -It hasn’t. -I’m going to Chicago tomorrow. | -还没有 -我明天要去芝加哥 |
[1:06:16] | Well, you should wait. | 嗯 你应该等等 |
[1:06:18] | You are aware that the Nazis have a two-year head start? | 你知道纳粹已经领先两年了吧? |
[1:06:21] | Dr. Oppenheimer, the fact that your security clearance | 奥本海默博士 你的安全许可很难获得批准 |
[1:06:22] | is proving difficult to obtain is not my fault. | 事实上不是我的错 |
[1:06:25] | It’s yours. | 是你的 |
[1:06:26] | It may not be your fault, but it’s your problem. Because I’m going. | 也许不是你的错 但这是你的问题 因为我要去 |
[1:06:30] | And how many people were in these, uh… | 有多少人牵涉到这个 呃…… |
[1:06:32] | open discussions? | 公开讨论里面? |
[1:06:34] | Too many. Compartmentalization was supposed to be the protocol. | 太多了 分隔化管理应该有很多限制才对 |
[1:06:37] | We were in a race against the Nazis. | 那时我们在和纳粹赛跑 |
[1:06:38] | And now the race is against the Soviets. | 现在比赛对手是苏联人 |
[1:06:41] | -Not unless we start it. -Robert, they just fired the starting gun. | -除非我们先开始 -罗伯特 他们刚刚打响发令枪 |
[1:06:46] | What’s the nature of the device they detonated? | 他们的引爆装置是什么? |
[1:06:48] | Data indicates it may have been a plutonium implosion device. | 数据显示可能是一个钚内爆装置 |
[1:06:52] | Like the one you built at Los Alamos. | 就跟你在洛斯阿拉莫斯造的一样 |
[1:06:55] | The Russians have a bomb. | 俄国人有了原子弹 |
[1:06:57] | -Truman needs to know what’s next. -What’s next? Arms talks. | -杜鲁门需要知道下一步怎么办 -下一步?武器谈判 |
[1:07:00] | -Arms talks? -Obviously. | -武器谈判? -当然 |
[1:07:03] | What about the Super? Does Truman even know about it? | 氢弹呢? 杜鲁门知道吗? |
[1:07:05] | Did we brief him on that? | 我们跟他汇报过吗? |
[1:07:07] | Not specifically. | 不是很具体 |
[1:07:09] | We still don’t know if a hydrogen bomb is technically feasible. | 我们仍然不知道氢弹在技术上是否可行 |
[1:07:12] | Right, my understanding is that Teller proposed it. | 对 我的理解是泰勒提议的 |
[1:07:14] | -At Los Alamos? -Yes. | -在洛斯阿拉莫斯? -是的 |
[1:07:15] | Teller’s designs have always been wildly impractical. | 泰勒的设计总是不切实际 |
[1:07:17] | You’d have to deliver by oxcart, not airplane. | 你必须用牛车送货 而不是飞机 |
[1:07:21] | -Oppie! -I’m sorry, Dr. Lawrence, | -奥比! -抱歉 劳伦斯博士 |
[1:07:23] | do you want to comment? | 你有什么要说的吗? |
[1:07:26] | No. | 没有 |
[1:07:29] | Because if it can put us ahead again, | 假如它能让我们再次保持领先 |
[1:07:31] | the President of the United States needs to know about it. | 美国总统就需要知道这件事 |
[1:07:38] | And if the Russians know about it already from a spy, | 假如俄国人通过在洛斯阿拉莫斯的间谍那里 |
[1:07:41] | at Los Alamos, then we’ve got to get going. | 已经知道此事 那么我们就得立刻上马 |
[1:07:44] | There’s no proof there was a spy at Los Alamos. | 没有证据表明洛斯阿拉莫斯有间谍 |
[1:07:47] | Robert. | 罗伯特 |
[1:07:53] | They put it under the football stadium? | 他们把它设在足球场下面? |
[1:07:55] | The field’s not in use anymore. | 这块地不再使用了 |
[1:07:57] | Just as well. | 这样也好 |
[1:08:01] | -Oppie! -Dr. Fermi. | -奥比! -费米博士 |
[1:08:05] | -I hear you’ve got a little town. -Yes, come and see. | -我听说你有个小镇 -是的 有空来坐坐 |
[1:08:10] | Who could think straight in a place like that, huh? | 谁能在哪种地方正常思考呢? |
[1:08:14] | Everybody will go crazy. | 每个人都会疯掉的 |
[1:08:17] | Thank you the vote of confidence, Szilard. | 谢谢你的信任 西拉德 |
[1:08:20] | Do we really… do we really need that in the notes? | 我们真的……我们真的需要把这些全记下吗? |
[1:08:24] | Are you gonna try it out? | 你们要做试验吗? |
[1:08:26] | We did. | 我们做到了 |
[1:08:27] | The first self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction. | 第一个受控自持链式核反应 |
[1:08:31] | Didn’t Groves tell you? | 格罗夫斯没告诉你吗? |
[1:08:33] | No. | 没有 |
[1:08:42] | Dr. Oppenheimer? | 奥本海默博士? |
[1:08:44] | I tried personnel. | 我去过人事部 |
[1:08:46] | -They asked if I could type. -Can you? | -他们问我会不会打字 -你会吗? |
[1:08:48] | Harvard forgot to teach that on the graduate chemistry course. | 哈佛大学在化学研究生课程上忘了教这个 |
[1:08:53] | Condon, put Mrs. Hornig here on the plutonium team. | 康登 让霍尼格夫人加入钚小组 |
[1:09:02] | What the hell were you doing in Chicago? | 你到底在芝加哥干什么? |
[1:09:04] | -Visiting the met. -Why? | -参观大都会博物馆 -为什么? |
[1:09:05] | -You can’t… -Why? | -你不能…… -为什么? |
[1:09:06] | Because we, we have every right… | 因为我们 我们有权…… |
[1:09:08] | You have just the rights that I give you. No more, no less. | 你只有我赋予你的权利 不多不少 |
[1:09:12] | We are adults trying to run a project here. This is ridiculous. | 我们都是成年人了 这样做项目太荒谬了 |
[1:09:16] | Tell him! | 告诉他! |
[1:09:18] | Compartmentalization is the protocol we agreed to. | 分隔化管理是我们同意的协议 |
[1:09:22] | Enough of this madhouse. Nobody can work under these conditions. | 受够了这个疯人院 没人能在这种条件下工作 |
[1:09:26] | You know what? Generalissimo, I quit! | 你知道吗? 大帅 我不干了! |
[1:09:30] | Thanks for nothing. | 谢谢你什么都没做 |
[1:09:34] | Better off without him. | 没有他会更好 |
[1:09:36] | Aren’t you more concerned about his discretion out there? | 你不怕他泄露机密吗? |
[1:09:41] | We’ll have him killed. | 我们会杀了他 |
[1:09:44] | I’m just kidding. | 开玩笑的 |
[1:09:46] | No, he hates me, not America. | 不 他恨的是我 不是美国 |
[1:09:48] | You know, General, not everyone has levers to pull like mine. | 你知道 将军 不是每个人都有像我这样的把柄 |
[1:09:52] | I don’t think I understand. | 我不懂你说什么 |
[1:09:53] | You didn’t hire me despite my left-wing past. You hired me because of it. | 你不是不管我是左翼才雇我的 你是因为我是左翼才雇我的 |
[1:09:58] | So you could control me. | 这样你就能控制我了 |
[1:10:00] | No, I’m not that subtle. I’m just a humble soldier. | 不 我没那么狡猾 我只是个普通的士兵 |
[1:10:04] | You’re neither humble, nor just a soldier. You studied engineering at MIT. | 你既不普通 也不仅仅是个士兵 你在麻省理工学习工程学 |
[1:10:08] | -Guilty as charged. -Well, now we understand each other, | -罪名成立 -现在我们彼此理解了 |
[1:10:10] | perhaps you can get me my security clearance, | 也许你能帮我弄到安全许可 |
[1:10:12] | so I can perform this miracle for you. | 这样我就能为你创造奇迹 |
[1:10:20] | General Groves, were you aware | 格罗夫斯将军 你知道 |
[1:10:22] | of Dr. Oppenheimer’s left-wing associations when you appointed him? | 当你任命奥本海默博士时 他与左翼组织的关系? |
[1:10:25] | I was aware that there were suspicions about him. | 我知道有人怀疑他 |
[1:10:27] | I was aware he had a very extreme liberal background. | 我知道他有非常极端的自由主义背景 |
[1:10:31] | In your opinion, would he ever consciously commit a disloyal act? | 在你看来 他会有意识地做出叛国的行为吗? |
[1:10:34] | I would be amazed if he did. | 如果他做了 我会很惊讶的 |
[1:10:36] | So you had complete confidence in his integrity? | 所以你完全相信他的正直? |
[1:10:38] | At Los Alamos, yes. Which is where I really knew him. | 在洛斯阿拉莫斯 是的 那是我真正了解他的地方 |
[1:10:41] | Do you know that your security officers on the project | 你知不知道你的安全人员在这个项目上 |
[1:10:44] | advised you against the clearance of Dr. Oppenheimer? | 建议你不要批准奥本海默博士的安全许可? |
[1:10:46] | They could not, and would not, clear him until I insisted. | 在我的坚持下 他们才为他办理了安全许可 |
[1:10:50] | And it’s safe to say that you had pretty good knowledge | 可以肯定的说 你看过很多 |
[1:10:52] | of Dr. Oppenheimer’s security file. -I did. | 奥本海默博士的安全档案 -是的 |
[1:10:56] | Well, then there’s only really one question I need answered here today. | 那今天你只需回答我一个问题 |
[1:10:58] | In light of the current AEC guidelines, would you clear Dr. Oppenheimer today? | 根据原子能委员会现行的指导方针 你今天会批准奥本海默博士的安全许可吗? |
[1:11:03] | Do you have the guidelines? | 你带来指导方针了吗? |
[1:11:12] | Under current AEC guidelines, | 根据原子能委员会现行的指导方针 |
[1:11:14] | would you clear Dr. Oppenheimer today? | 你今天会批准奥本海默博士的安全许可吗? |
[1:11:30] | Physics and New Mexico, huh? | 物理学和新墨西哥 是吧? |
[1:11:33] | My god. What a trek. | 天啊 真是千里迢迢 |
[1:11:36] | -That’s why you need a liaison. -I’m appointing Lomanitz. | -所以你需要一个联络人 -我要任命洛马尼茨 |
[1:11:40] | You’re gonna be okay. This way, gentlemen. | 你会没事的 这边请 先生们 |
[1:11:52] | -Dr. Lawrence. -Leslie. | -劳伦斯博士 -莱斯利 |
[1:11:55] | I’d like to remind you what we talked about at Berkeley. | 我想提醒你我们在伯克利谈过的事 |
[1:11:57] | Compartmentalization, I understand completely. | 分隔化管理 我完全理解 |
[1:12:14] | Greetings from Berkeley. | 来自伯克利的问候 |
[1:12:15] | I am here to update you on our progress and solicit your input. | 我来这里是为了向你更新我们的进展情况 并征求你的意见 |
[1:12:19] | To do so, I am going to have to share a few things that | 要做到这一点 我必须分享一些事情 |
[1:12:21] | General Groves told me not to. | 格罗夫斯将军不许我这么做 |
[1:12:24] | Sorry General, I said I understood, not that I agreed. | 对不起 将军 我说我理解 不是说我同意 |
[1:12:27] | Okay. Gentlemen, to business! | 好了 先生们 谈正事吧! |
[1:12:30] | There were rumors of espionage | 传闻说在洛斯阿拉莫斯 |
[1:12:32] | at Los Alamos. -Unsubstantiated. | 有间谍活动 -未经证实 |
[1:12:34] | I’m told that there were communists | 我听说有共产主义者 |
[1:12:37] | on the project. -We didn’t knowingly employ… | 渗透这个项目 -我们并没有故意雇佣…… |
[1:12:38] | I just want to know, were any of them involved | 我只是想知道 他们有没有参与…… |
[1:12:40] | in discussions of the Super? | 氢弹的讨论? |
[1:12:42] | I seem to remember you demanding your brother come to Los Alamos. | 我记得你要求你弟弟来洛斯阿拉莫斯 |
[1:12:45] | -My brother had left the party by then. -What about Lomanitz? | -我弟弟那时已经脱离共产党了 -那洛马尼茨呢? |
[1:12:48] | Lomanitz was never employed at Los Alamos. He was a liaison. | 洛马尼茨从未受雇于洛斯阿拉莫斯 他只是个联络员 |
[1:12:51] | Our security was tight, as former Colonel Nichols well knows. | 我们的安保措施非常严密 前上校尼科尔斯很清楚这一点 |
[1:12:54] | Our security was as tight as it could be given the personalities involved, | 考虑到所涉及的人员 我们的安保措施非常严密 |
[1:12:56] | but attempts were made. | 但只能尽力而为 |
[1:12:58] | -What is that supposed to mean? -We’ve all read his file here. | -那是什么意思? -我们都看过他的档案 |
[1:13:02] | Do we need to talk about Jean Tatlock? | 我们需要谈谈琼·塔特洛克吗? |
[1:13:05] | Or the Chevalier incident? | 还是舍瓦利耶事件? |
[1:13:11] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[1:13:15] | Lomanitz, line one! | 洛马尼茨 一号线! |
[1:13:24] | Hello, Rossi. What? | 你好 洛西 什么? |
[1:13:27] | Okay, just calm down. | 好吧 冷静点 |
[1:13:29] | There’s been another screwup. | 又出事了 |
[1:13:30] | -Lomanitz just got drafted. -We are at war, Doctor. | -洛马尼茨刚被征召入伍 -我们在打仗 博士 |
[1:13:33] | Don’t be an asshole, Nichols. We need this kid. Fix it, will you? | 别这么混蛋 尼克尔斯 我们需要这孩子 搞掂它 好吗? |
[1:13:37] | It wasn’t a mistake. | 这不是个错误 |
[1:13:38] | Your friend Lomanitz has been trying to unionize the radiation lab. | 你的朋友洛马尼茨一直在试图组建辐射实验室的工会 |
[1:13:41] | -He promised to quit all that. -Well, he hasn’t. | -他答应放弃这一切 -嗯 他没有 |
[1:13:45] | The security officer at Berkeley is concerned about communist infiltration | 伯克利的安全官员担心共产党渗透 |
[1:13:48] | -FAECT. through that union, the FA… | 通过那个工会 叫什么FA…… -FAECT. |
[1:13:54] | While I’m there next week, I’ll… drop in to see him. | 下周我去的时候 我会……顺便去看看他 |
[1:14:00] | Your Q clearance came through. | 你的安全许可批准了 |
[1:14:05] | It’s important you not maintain or renew any questionable associations. | 重要的是你不能再接触任何有问题的联系人 |
[1:14:14] | Doctor, did you think social contacts | 博士 你是否觉得一个从事秘密战争工作的人 |
[1:14:16] | between a person engaged on secret war work and communists was dangerous? | 和共产主义者之间保持社交关系是危险的? |
[1:14:20] | My awareness of the danger would be greater today. | 我今天对危险的意识会更强烈 |
[1:14:24] | I mean, it’s fair to say that during the war years, | 我的意思是 公平地说 在战争年代 |
[1:14:27] | you felt that such contacts were potentially dangerous. | 你认为这样的接触是存在潜在危险的 |
[1:14:36] | Were conceivably dangerous, yes. | 是的 确实很危险 |
[1:14:39] | I mean, really! | 我是说真的! |
[1:14:42] | Known communists. | 著名的共产主义者 |
[1:14:46] | Look… | 你看…… |
[1:14:48] | I’ve had a lot of secrets in my head for a long time. | 我脑子里有很多秘密已经很久了 |
[1:14:53] | Doesn’t matter who I associate with, I don’t talk about those secrets. | 不管和谁交往 我从不谈论那些秘密 |
[1:15:05] | You said in your statement | 你在证词里说 |
[1:15:08] | that you had to see Jean Tatlock in 1943. | 1943年你必须去见琼·塔特洛克 |
[1:15:14] | You left. | 你离开了 |
[1:15:17] | Not a word. | 什么也不说 |
[1:15:19] | What did you think that would do to me? | 你知道这有多伤我么? |
[1:15:22] | I wrote. | 我写了信的 |
[1:15:24] | Pages of nothing. | 写的全是废话 |
[1:15:28] | Where did you go? | 你到底去哪儿了? |
[1:15:31] | -I can’t tell you. -Why not? | -我不能说 -为什么? |
[1:15:33] | Because you’re a communist. | 因为你是共产党员 |
[1:15:37] | Why did you have to see her? | 你为什么一定要见她? |
[1:15:39] | She had indicated a great desire to see me before we left. | 我走之前她特别想见我 |
[1:15:44] | At that time I couldn’t, but I felt that she had to see me. | 但我没去 我觉得我需要去见他 |
[1:15:49] | She was undergoing psychiatric treatment. She was extremely unhappy. | 她当时在接受心理治疗 她需要我 |
[1:15:53] | Did you find out why she had to see you? | 她为什么偏偏要见你呢? |
[1:16:01] | Because she was still in love with me. | 因为她还爱着我 |
[1:16:10] | You spent the night together, didn’t you? | 你们过了一夜 是吗? |
[1:16:20] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:16:27] | You drop in and out of my life, and you don’t have to tell me why. | 你在我的生活里忽隐忽现 却从不告诉我为什么 |
[1:16:33] | -And that’s power. -Not that I enjoy. | -你很享受这种权力吧 -我不享受 |
[1:16:37] | I’d rather be here for you as you need. | 我宁愿在你需要的时候陪在你身边 |
[1:16:40] | But you have other priorities now. | 但你现在有别的事情要做 |
[1:16:43] | I have a wife and child. | 我有老婆和孩子 |
[1:16:46] | That’s not what either of us is talking about. | 我们说的不是这个 |
[1:16:52] | Jean… you asked me to come. | 琼……是你叫我来的 |
[1:16:57] | And I’m glad I did. | 我来了 我也很乐意 |
[1:17:00] | But I can’t see you again. | 但我不能再见你了 |
[1:17:04] | But what if I need you? | 那我需要你的时候呢? |
[1:17:10] | You said you would always answer. | 你说只要我叫 你永远都会来的 |
[1:17:15] | Not a word? | 什么也不说? |
[1:17:18] | Did you think that consistent with good security? | 你觉得这次见面符合安保措施的规定吗? |
[1:17:20] | As a matter of fact, it was. | 事实上 是的 |
[1:17:22] | Not a word. | 什么也不说 |
[1:17:24] | When did you see her after that? | 那之后你什么时候见过她? |
[1:17:34] | I never saw her again. | 我再也没见过她 |
[1:17:42] | I can make the last train back to Princeton. | 我能赶上最后一班回普林斯顿的火车 |
[1:17:45] | Kitty, I didn’t say anything that I hadn’t already told you. | 凯蒂 我不会说什么我没告诉你的 |
[1:17:48] | Today you said it to history, didn’t you? | 今天你对历史说了 不是吗? |
[1:17:50] | This is a closed hearing. | 这是一个闭门听证会 |
[1:17:54] | If they don’t release the transcript, I’m sure you will. | 如果他们不公布记录 我相信你会的 |
[1:17:56] | -I was under oath. -Well, you were under an oath to me | -我发过誓的 -你也对我发过誓 |
[1:17:58] | when you went to see Jean. | 当你去见琼的时候 |
[1:18:01] | You know, you… | 你知道 你…… |
[1:18:03] | You sit there, day after day, | 你坐在那里 日复一日 |
[1:18:07] | letting them pick our lives to pieces. | 让他们把我们的生活撕个粉碎 |
[1:18:12] | Why won’t you fight? | 你为什么不反抗? |
[1:18:17] | Robert, I’m not putting her up there. | 罗伯特 我不同意让她做证 |
[1:18:25] | Dr. Oppenheimer! This is an honor. Please, take a seat. | 奥本海默博士 很荣幸见到你 请坐 |
[1:18:28] | No need. I just wanted to check whether I should… | 不用了 我只是想确认一下我是否应该…… |
[1:18:32] | talk to Lomanitz while I’m here, given your concerns. | 考虑到你的担心 我在这的时候和洛马尼茨谈谈 |
[1:18:34] | I’d say that’s really up to you, Professor, but I’d be cautious. | 我想说这完全取决于你 教授 但我会小心谨慎 |
[1:18:37] | Understood. | 明白 |
[1:18:39] | Oh, and, um, as regards to the union, | 噢 还有 关于工会 |
[1:18:41] | I wanted to give you a heads up on a man named Eltenton. | 我想提醒你一下一个叫埃尔坦登的人 |
[1:18:45] | A heads up? | 提醒一下? |
[1:18:46] | Yes, just that he might bear watching, is all. | 是的 只是他可能值得关注 仅此而已。 |
[1:18:51] | I’d love to get more details. | 我想了解更多细节 |
[1:18:53] | I have an appointment now, and I leave early tomorrow. | 我现在有个约会 明天一早就出发 |
[1:18:56] | Well, come back as early as you like. | 好的 早点回来 我随时恭候 |
[1:18:58] | Since you haven’t time now. | 既然你现在没有时间 |
[1:19:00] | -You went back the next morning. -I did. I had to, really. | -你第二天早上就回去了 -是的 我不得不这么做 真的 |
[1:19:05] | This time there was another man. | 这次还有另一个人 |
[1:19:08] | -He said his name was Pash. -Pash. You met Colonel Pash? | -他说他叫帕什 – 帕什 你见到帕什上校? |
[1:19:12] | Colonel Pash, could you please read from your memo dated June 29, 1943? | 帕什上校 你能念一下你在1943年6月29日的备忘录吗? |
[1:19:20] | “Results of surveillance conducted on subject | “对目标进行监视的结果 |
[1:19:22] | “indicate further possible Communist Party connections.” | “进一步表明可能与共产党有联系” |
[1:19:25] | “Subject met with and spent considerable time with one Jean Tatlock, | “目标与一个叫琼·塔特洛克的人见面并待了相当长一段时间 |
[1:19:28] | “a communist, the record of whom is attached.” | “一个共产主义者 记录附后” |
[1:19:31] | -The subject being Dr. Oppenheimer? -Yes. | -“目标”是指奥本海默博士吗? -是的 |
[1:19:33] | -Whom you had not met? -Not then, but soon after. | -你没见过他? -那时没有 但很快就见到了 |
[1:19:37] | He’s the head of security for the project. Shouldn’t I know him? | 他是这个项目的安全主管 我应该认识他吗? |
[1:19:39] | No, he should know you. | 不 他应该认识你 |
[1:19:41] | I would never put you in a room with Pash. | 我绝不会让你和帕什待在同一间房子里 |
[1:19:43] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[1:19:44] | When Pash first heard about Lomanitz, | 当帕什第一次听说洛马尼茨时 |
[1:19:46] | he told the FBI he was going to kidnap him, | 他对联邦调查局说他要绑架他 |
[1:19:49] | take him out on a boat, | 带他上船出海 |
[1:19:51] | and interrogate him in the Russian manner. | 用俄国人的方式审问他 |
[1:19:57] | General Groves has placed in me a certain responsibility, | 格罗夫斯将军赋予了我一定的职责 |
[1:19:59] | and it’s like having a child who I can’t see, by remote control. | 就像通过遥控器和一个我看不见的孩子打交道 |
[1:20:05] | So to actually meet you is… | 所以真正见到本人…… |
[1:20:08] | -I won’t take up too much of your time. -Oh, no. | -我不会占用你太多时间 -哦 不 |
[1:20:10] | Not at all. Whatever time you choose. | 一点也不 随你奉陪 |
[1:20:13] | Mr. Johnson told me of the conversation you had yesterday, | 约翰逊先生告诉我你们昨天的谈话 |
[1:20:15] | which I’m very interested in. It’s had me worried all day. | 我很感兴趣 这让我担心了一整天 |
[1:20:19] | Yes, well, I didn’t want to talk to Lomanitz without authorization. | 是的 好吧 我不想在未经授权的情况下和洛马尼茨谈话 |
[1:20:22] | That’s not the particular interest that I have. | 这不是我特别感兴趣的 |
[1:20:24] | It’s something a little bit more… | 头绪变得有点多…… |
[1:20:27] | In my opinion, more serious. | 在我看来 更严重了 |
[1:20:29] | And then when the FBI pointed out | 然后当联邦调查局指出 |
[1:20:30] | that such information wouldn’t be admissible in court, | 这样的信息是不会被法庭采纳的 |
[1:20:33] | Pash made it clear he had no intention | 帕什拍胸脯保证 他绝不会 |
[1:20:35] | of leaving any witness left to prosecute. | 留下任何证人给人起诉 |
[1:20:37] | Now, the FBI talked him down, but that’s the man you’re dancing with. | 后来 联邦调查局总算说服了他 但他就是你的影子 |
[1:20:41] | I gather you’ve heard there are other parties | 我想你已经听说了还有其他政党 |
[1:20:43] | interested in the work of the radiation lab? | 也对辐射实验室的工作感兴趣吧? |
[1:20:46] | A man attached to the Soviet consul indicated, | 一个和苏联领事有关系的人说 |
[1:20:51] | through intermediate people, to people on this project, | 这个项目里的人 通过他作中间人 |
[1:20:55] | that he was in a position to transmit information. | 能够传递一些信息 |
[1:20:58] | Well, why would anyone on the project want to do that? | 为什么这个项目里的人要这么做? |
[1:21:02] | Frankly, I can see that there might be an argument for the Commander-in-Chief | 坦率地说 我认为总司令通知俄罗斯人是有道理的 |
[1:21:06] | informing the Russians, they’re our allies, after all, but… | 毕竟他们是我们的盟友 但是…… |
[1:21:09] | I don’t like the idea of it going out the back door. | 我不喜欢偷偷摸摸的想法 |
[1:21:12] | It might not hurt to be on the lookout for it. | 留意一下也许没什么坏处 |
[1:21:16] | And you said that to Pash. | 你对帕什也这么说 |
[1:21:17] | I was trying to put it in the context of “Russia’s not Germany”. | 我试图把整件事置于“俄国不是德国”的背景下 |
[1:21:22] | Boris Pash is the son of a Russian Orthodox bishop. | 鲍里斯・帕什是俄国东正教主教的儿子 |
[1:21:26] | Born here, but in 1918 he went back to Russia to fight the Bolsheviks. | 他出生在这里 但1918年他返回俄国与布尔什维克作战 |
[1:21:31] | This is a man who has killed communists with his own hands. | 这是一个与共产党不共戴天的仇人 |
[1:21:34] | I’m not the judge of who should or should not have information. | 谁该知道谁不该知道 我说了不算 |
[1:21:37] | It’s my business to stop it from going through illegally. | 我的职责就是阻止它非法传出去 |
[1:21:40] | Could you be a little more specific? | 你能说得再具体点吗? |
[1:21:44] | There’s a man whose name was mentioned to me, a couple of times, Eltenton. | 有个人的名字被提到过好几次 埃尔坦登 |
[1:21:50] | I believe he’s a chemist who works at Shell. | 我相信他是在壳牌公司工作的化学家 |
[1:21:53] | He talked to a friend of his, | 他和他的一个朋友聊天 |
[1:21:56] | who’s an acquaintance of someone on the project. | 他朋友是这个项目里某个人的熟人 |
[1:22:01] | And you thought Pash would be satisfied with that? | 你觉得帕什会对此满意吗? |
[1:22:03] | I was attempting to give them Eltenton without opening a can of worms. | 我试图给他们埃尔坦登 同时又避免捅出大篓子 |
[1:22:07] | I told them a cock-and-bull story. | 我给他们编了个荒唐的故事 |
[1:22:09] | -Did you lie to General Groves, too? -No. | -你也对格罗夫斯将军撒谎了吗? -没有 |
[1:22:12] | I admitted to him that I’d lied to Pash. | 我向他承认我对帕什撒谎了 |
[1:22:14] | Do you recall this conversation about the Chevalier incident? | 你还记得这次关于舍瓦利耶事件的谈话吗? |
[1:22:18] | I’ve seen so many versions of it, uh… | 我看过很多版本 呃…… |
[1:22:21] | Wasn’t confused before, but I’m certainly getting there now. | 以前没搞混 但现在肯定搞混了 |
[1:22:24] | -And what was your conclusion? -That he was under the influence | -你的结论是什么? -他受影响太深 |
[1:22:27] | of the typical American schoolboy attitude | 典型的美国男生态度 |
[1:22:30] | that there’s something wicked about telling on a friend. | 告发朋友是一件卑鄙龌龊的事情 |
[1:22:34] | Well now, might we know through whom the contact was made? | 现在 我们能知道联系人是谁吗? |
[1:22:39] | That would involve people who are not to be involved in this. | 那会牵连到本不应涉及此事的人 |
[1:22:43] | Is that someone a member of the project? | 那个人是项目的成员吗? |
[1:22:46] | A member of the faculty, yes, but not in the project, no. | 是的 一名教员 但不是这个项目的成员 |
[1:22:49] | Ah… | 啊…… |
[1:22:51] | So Eltenton made his approach through a member of the faculty here at Berkeley. | 所以埃尔坦登通过伯克利大学的一名教员进行接触 |
[1:22:58] | As far as I know, as far as I know, yes. | 据我所知 据我所知 是的 |
[1:23:00] | But there… may have been… more than one person involved. | 但是……可能有……不止一个人牵涉其中 |
[1:23:10] | Gentlemen, if I… if I seem uncooperative, | 先生们 如果我…… 如果我拒绝透露 |
[1:23:12] | I think you can understand it’s because of my insistence | 我希望你能理解这是因为我的原则 |
[1:23:15] | on not getting innocent people into trouble. | 不能让无辜的人陷入麻烦 |
[1:23:18] | You’re trying to protect your friend. Who’s protecting you? | 你想保护你的朋友 谁来保护你呢? |
[1:23:21] | Well, you could. | 嗯 你啊 |
[1:23:23] | -If you gave me the name… -If you order me to, I’ll do it. | -如果你告诉我名字…… -如果你命令我 我会说的 |
[1:23:25] | That’s a mistake, Robert. You need to volunteer this name. | 这是个错误 罗伯特 你得主动提出这个名字 |
[1:23:30] | Did he give you the name? | 他告诉你名字了吗? |
[1:23:31] | -He did. -But not then, did he? | -他说了 -但不是那时候 不是吗? |
[1:23:33] | -No. -No, in fact, | -不 -不 实际上 |
[1:23:34] | it was some months later, wasn’t it? | 那是几个月后的事 对不对? |
[1:23:36] | It was. | 是的 |
[1:23:37] | -You see me as persistent. -Well, you are… | -你觉得我很固执 -嗯 你是…… |
[1:23:40] | you are persistent, but that is your job. | 你是很固执 但那是你的职责 |
[1:23:42] | And, and my job is to protect the people that work for me. | 而 而我的职责就是保护我手下的人 |
[1:23:46] | Instead of us going on certain steps, | 在我们采取某种措施之前 |
[1:23:48] | which may come to your attention… | 你可能会注意到 |
[1:23:51] | and be disturbing to you, | 这些措施会让你感到不安 |
[1:23:53] | I would like to discuss those with you first. | 我想先和你讨论一下 |
[1:23:56] | I’m not formulating a plan, I’ll just have to digest the whole thing. | 我不是在制定计划 我只是要消化一下整件事情 |
[1:24:04] | In the months in between your interview with Dr. Oppenheimer, | 在你和奥本海默博士交谈后的几个月里 |
[1:24:07] | and his eventual naming of Chevalier, did you expend resources trying to find | 以及整件事最终被命名为“舍瓦利耶事件” 你有没有动用一切力量试图找出 |
[1:24:11] | the name of the intermediary? -Considerable resources, yes. | 中间人的名字? -动用一切力量 是的 |
[1:24:15] | Without the name, our job was extremely difficult. | 没有这个名字 我们的工作寸步难行 |
[1:24:18] | -And when did you receive the name? -I was gone by the time Oppenheimer | -你什么时候知道这个名字的? -那会我已经走了 奥本海默最终 |
[1:24:21] | finally offered it up. -Gone? | 提交的时候 -走了? |
[1:24:23] | They felt my time would be better spent in Europe, | 他们觉得我待在欧洲更好 |
[1:24:25] | determining the status of the Nazi bomb project. | 调查纳粹原子弹计划的情况 |
[1:24:28] | Who did? | 谁干的? |
[1:24:30] | General Groves. | 格罗夫斯将军 |
[1:24:32] | He transferred me to London. | 他把我调到了伦敦 |
[1:24:40] | It’s a little early for a Christmas party. | 现在开圣诞派对有点早吧 |
[1:24:42] | Something’s up. | 出事了 |
[1:24:44] | Tolman’s been away. | 托尔曼走了 |
[1:24:46] | Where? | 去哪儿? |
[1:24:48] | Ruth won’t tell. | 鲁丝不会说的 |
[1:24:59] | Come on, Ruthie. | 说吧 鲁丝 |
[1:25:00] | If you can’t tell me, who can you tell? | 如果你不告诉我 你能告诉谁? |
[1:25:03] | Compartmentalization, Oppie. | 分隔化管理 奥比 |
[1:25:06] | What makes you think I know where he is, anyway? | 你凭什么认为我知道他在哪? |
[1:25:08] | Because you do a pretty good job | 因为你做得很好 |
[1:25:09] | of knowing where Mr. Tolman is when it counts. | 在关键时刻知道 托尔曼先生在哪里 |
[1:25:12] | Like now? | 就像现在? |
[1:25:13] | Attention! | 立正! |
[1:25:20] | Early Christmas present for you all. | 提前给你们准备了圣诞礼物 |
[1:25:30] | The British pilot put me in the bomb bay. | 英国飞行员把我放进炸弹舱 |
[1:25:32] | He showed me the oxygen, you know, but I messed it up. | 他塞给我氧气罩 但我搞砸了 |
[1:25:36] | Um, when they opened me up in Scotland, I was unconscious. | 他们在苏格兰给我开刀的时候 我昏迷过去 |
[1:25:39] | But I pretended I’d been napping. | 但我假装睡着了 |
[1:25:42] | Please enjoy your party. | 祝大家玩得开心 |
[1:25:44] | -Is it big enough? -To end the war? | -够大吗? -为了结束战争? |
[1:25:48] | To end all war. | 结束一切战争 |
[1:25:53] | Uh, Heisenberg sought me out in Copenhagen. | 呃 海森堡来哥本哈根找我 |
[1:25:58] | It was chilling, my old student working for the Nazis. | 我以前的学生为纳粹工作 真教人不寒而栗 |
[1:26:01] | He told me some things to draw me out. | 他透露我一些事情想吸引我 |
[1:26:06] | Sustained fission reactions in uranium. | 铀的持续裂变反应 |
[1:26:09] | That sounds more like a reactor than a bomb. | 听起来更像是反应堆而不是原子弹 |
[1:26:11] | Did he mention gaseous diffusion? | 他提到气体扩散法了吗? |
[1:26:13] | He seemed more focused on heavy water. | 他似乎更专注于重水 |
[1:26:16] | -As a moderator? -Yes, instead of graphite. | -作为减速剂? -是的 而不是石墨 |
[1:26:22] | What? | 怎么了? |
[1:26:23] | He took a wrong turn. | 他拐错弯道 |
[1:26:25] | We’re ahead. | 我们领先了 |
[1:26:27] | And with you here to help us, Niels… | 有你在这里帮助我们 尼尔斯…… |
[1:26:28] | Sorry, could you give us a moment, gentlemen? | 抱歉 能让我们单独谈谈吗 先生们? |
[1:26:39] | I am not here to help, Robert. | 我不是来帮忙的 罗伯特 |
[1:26:41] | I knew you could do this without me. | 我知道没有我你也能成功 |
[1:26:43] | -Then why did you come? -To talk about after. | -那你为什么来? -以后再说 |
[1:26:46] | The power you’re about to reveal will forever outlive the Nazis. | 你即将释放的力量 纳粹毁灭后也将一直存在 |
[1:26:51] | And the world is not prepared. | 而这个世界还没有准备好 |
[1:26:53] | “You can lift the stone without being ready for the snake that’s revealed.” | “在你准备好对付蛇之前 千万不要搬开大石头” |
[1:26:56] | We have to make the politicians understand this isn’t a new weapon. | 我们得让政客们明白这不是什么新武器 |
[1:27:00] | It’s a new world. | 这是一个新世界 |
[1:27:02] | I’ll be out there doing what I can, but you… | 我会尽我所能 但是你…… |
[1:27:05] | You’re an American Prometheus. | 你是美国的普罗米修斯 |
[1:27:08] | The man who gave them the power to destroy themselves. | 是你给他们毁灭自己的力量 |
[1:27:12] | And they’ll respect that. | 他们会尊重这一点 |
[1:27:14] | Your work really begins. | 你的工作才真正开始 |
[1:27:20] | I’m sorry, Oppie, but there’s a call. | 对不起 奥比 有电话找你 |
[1:27:25] | From San Francisco. | 来自旧金山 |
[1:27:33] | Robert! | 罗伯特! |
[1:27:39] | Robert? | 罗伯特? |
[1:27:40] | Robert. | 罗伯特 |
[1:27:42] | Robert. | 罗伯特 |
[1:27:43] | God, what’s the matter? | 天啊 怎么了? |
[1:27:45] | What happened? | 发生了什么? |
[1:27:48] | Her father called. | 她父亲打来电话 |
[1:27:50] | He found her yesterday in the bath. | 她把自己锁在浴室里 |
[1:27:53] | Who? | 谁? |
[1:27:55] | She’s taken pills. Left a note, not signed. | 她吃了药 留下一张没有签名的字条 |
[1:28:00] | She took barbiturates, but there was chloral hydrate in her blood. | 她服用了巴比妥类药物 但血液里有水合氯醛 |
[1:28:07] | There was a note. | 有张纸条 |
[1:28:08] | Jean Tatlock? | 琼·塔特洛克? |
[1:28:16] | We were together. | 我们相爱过 |
[1:28:18] | She said she needed me. I… | 她说她需要我 |
[1:28:23] | I told her I… | 我告诉她我…… |
[1:28:24] | I wouldn’t… | 我不能…… |
[1:28:26] | I told her I… | 我告诉她我…… |
[1:28:28] | No, it was me, it was me. | 不 是我 是我 |
[1:28:32] | You don’t get to commit the sin | 你不能认罪 |
[1:28:34] | and then have us all feel sorry for you that it had consequences. | 让我们都为你感到难过 这样后果不堪设想 |
[1:28:41] | Now you pull yourself together. | 你一定要振作起来 |
[1:28:47] | You know, people here depend on you. | 明白吗 这里的人都需要你 |
[1:28:51] | Donald, would you like to contribute here? | 唐纳德 做点有用的事情好吗? |
[1:28:53] | -Please, help me out. -You’re on your own, pal. | -拜托 帮帮我 -你得靠自己 伙计 |
[1:28:54] | Bob, I’m not quitting my job because plutonium is radioactive. | 鲍勃 我不会因为钚有放射性就辞职的 |
[1:28:57] | We just don’t know what it might do | 我们只是不知道它会导致什么 |
[1:28:59] | to the female reproductive system. -Your reproductive system | 进入女性生殖系统 -你的生殖系统 |
[1:29:02] | is more exposed than mine, presumably. -Can we please? | 可能比我的暴露程度更高 -我们可以吗? |
[1:29:05] | -The implosion device is nowhere. -We can’t rush everything. Oppie, please. | -内爆装置来不及了 -我们不能急于求成 奥比 拜托 |
[1:29:08] | Well, there’s rushing and there’s getting on with it, so pick one. | 既要赶时间 又要做得好 只能二选一 |
[1:29:11] | Wait, wait, wait. Neddermeyer is doing his job. | 等等 等等 等等 尼德迈尔在埋头苦干 |
[1:29:13] | Teller’s not helping. You’re not helping. | 泰勒没帮上忙 你也不帮忙 |
[1:29:15] | I’ve been asking for calculations on the implosion lenses for weeks. | 几周来我一直在问内爆透镜的计算结果 |
[1:29:18] | -The British can do it. Fuchs. -Absolutely. | -英国人能做到 福克斯 -当然 |
[1:29:21] | -It’s your job, Teller. -I’m engaged in research. | -这是你的工作 泰勒 -我在做研究 |
[1:29:24] | On a hydrogen bomb we’re not even building! | 我们根本就没在造氢弹! |
[1:29:35] | I won’t work with that man. | 我不会和那个人合作的 |
[1:29:36] | Oh. Let him go. | 哦 让他走 |
[1:29:39] | -He’s a prima donna! -I agree. | -他是个自命不凡的娘炮! -同意 |
[1:29:41] | -He should leave Los Alamos. -Okay. | -他应该离开洛斯阿拉莫斯 -好的 |
[1:29:44] | Kisti, you replace Neddermeyer. Seth, I’m putting you on plutonium. | 科斯基 你代替尼德迈尔 塞斯 我把你放在钚小组 |
[1:29:47] | Lilli, you go on for Kisti, because he needs you. | 莉莉 你去跟科斯基 因为他需要你 |
[1:29:51] | Fuchs, you take Teller’s role. | 福克斯 你接替泰勒的角色 |
[1:29:52] | I’m putting you exclusively on the implosion device. | 我让你专门负责内爆装置 |
[1:29:55] | And no one is leaving Los Alamos. | 没人能离开洛斯阿拉莫斯 |
[1:30:13] | -They won’t let me leave! -No, I won’t let you leave. | -他们不让我走! -不 我不会让你走的 |
[1:30:18] | Forget Hans, forget fission. | 忘了汉斯 忘了裂变 |
[1:30:21] | Stay here, research what you want. | 留在这里 研究你想要的东西 |
[1:30:24] | Fusion, the hydrogen bomb, whatever. | 核聚变 氢弹什么的 |
[1:30:26] | -We’ll meet to discuss it. -You don’t have time to meet. | -我们会见面讨论的 -你没时间见我 |
[1:30:29] | You’re a politician now, Robert. You’ve left physics behind many, many years ago. | 你现在是个政客 罗伯特 你已经把物理学抛在脑后很多很多年了 |
[1:30:34] | Once a week. | 一周一次 |
[1:30:36] | One hour, you and me. | 一个小时 你和我 |
[1:30:44] | Now raise this fucking barrier! | 现在升起这该死的路障! |
[1:30:51] | 那么氢弹是你在洛斯阿拉莫斯监督开发的? So the氢弹was under development on your watch at Los Alamos? | |
[1:30:54] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:30:56] | And yet, after the war, you tried to deny it was viable. | 然而 在战后 你试图否认它的可行性 |
[1:30:59] | No, no, no. I pointed out technical difficulties with it. | 不 不 不 我只是指出它在技术上的困难 |
[1:31:03] | Didn’t you try to kill it at the AEC meeting | 你不是想在原子能委员会会议上扼杀它吗 |
[1:31:04] | after the Russian bomb test? -No. | -在俄国原子弹试验之后? -没有 |
[1:31:06] | But that was the recommendation of the AEC, was it not? | 这是原子能委员会的建议 不是吗? |
[1:31:09] | After hours of discussion about the best response. | 在讨论了几个小时的最佳应对之后 |
[1:31:13] | An H-bomb is 1,000 times the power of an A-bomb. | 氢弹的威力是原子弹的1000倍 |
[1:31:19] | Its only intended target would be the largest cities. | 它唯一的目标是最大的城市 |
[1:31:23] | -It’s a weapon of mass genocide. -Izzy. | -这是大规模种族灭绝的武器 -伊兹 |
[1:31:25] | Draw some circles on this side of the map, | 在地图的这一边画一些圆圈 |
[1:31:27] | where they would target us, starting with New York. | 他们的目标是我们 从纽约开始 |
[1:31:30] | -That’s fair. -D.C. | -很公平 -华盛顿特区 |
[1:31:31] | It’s a weapon of attack with no defensive value. | 这是一种攻击性武器 没有任何防御作用 |
[1:31:34] | -Deterrence. -Deterrence? | -威慑 -威慑? |
[1:31:35] | Do we really need more deterrence than our current arsenal of atomic bombs? | 我们真的需要比我们目前的原子弹武器库更多的威慑吗? |
[1:31:39] | You, you drown in ten feet of water or 10,000, what’s the difference? | 你 你淹死在10英尺深的水里还是一万英尺深的水里 有什么区别? |
[1:31:44] | We can already drown Russia. They know it… | 我们已经可以淹没俄国了 他们知道…… |
[1:31:46] | -Now they can drown us with… -We’re just escalating… | -现在他们也可以淹没我们…… -我们只是在升级…… |
[1:31:59] | As I said, Teller’s designs are still as impractical as they were during the war. | 正如我所说 泰勒的设计和战时一样不切实际 |
[1:32:04] | A hydrogen bomb can be made to work, Oppie. You know that. | 氢弹是可行的 奥比 你懂的 |
[1:32:07] | I don’t believe we should commit all our resources to that chance. | 我不建议我们应该把所有的资源都用在这上面 |
[1:32:10] | Then how would you have Truman reassure the American people? | 那你怎么让杜鲁门安抚美国人民呢? |
[1:32:13] | Simply by limiting the spread of atomic weapons | 只需限制原子武器的扩散 |
[1:32:15] | through international control on nuclear energy. | 通过对核能的国际管制 |
[1:32:18] | By which you mean world government. | 你是说世界政府 |
[1:32:20] | The United Nations, as Roosevelt intended. | 联合国 正如罗斯福所希望的那样 |
[1:32:23] | Well, I asked what Truman should do, right? The world’s changed. | 嗯 我是问杜鲁门该怎么办 对吧?世界变了 |
[1:32:27] | It’s not fascism but communism that now threatens our survival. | 威胁我们生存的不是法西斯主义 而是共产主义 |
[1:32:31] | Lewis, do you understand, if we build a hydrogen bomb, | 刘易斯 你明白吗 如果我们制造氢弹 |
[1:32:34] | the Russians will have no choice but to build their own? | 俄国人将别无选择 只能建造自己的? |
[1:32:37] | Could they be working on one already? | 他们不是正在做吗? |
[1:32:38] | Based on information gathered from the spy at Los Alamos… | 根据从洛斯阿拉莫斯的间谍那里得到的信息…… |
[1:32:41] | -No spy at Los Alamos. -Gentlemen… | -洛斯阿拉莫斯没有间谍 -先生们…… |
[1:32:43] | -There wasn’t? -Let’s not get sidetracked. | -没有吗? -我们不要跑题 |
[1:32:46] | I say we use this moment to gain concessions from the Russians | 我觉得我们应该利用这个机会让俄国人让步 |
[1:32:48] | by committing that we will not build a hydrogen bomb. | 通过承诺我们不会制造氢弹 |
[1:32:51] | Thereby revealing its existence. | 那就会暴露它的存在 |
[1:32:53] | Which you seem convinced they already know. | 你似乎确信他们已经知道了 |
[1:32:55] | Alright. | 好吧 |
[1:32:57] | At this point, I’d like the committee members to meet in privacy | 现在 我希望委员会成员能私下交流 |
[1:33:00] | to finalize our recommendations. | 最终确定我们的建议 |
[1:33:04] | I’m just not sure you want to go down this route. | 我只是不确定你是否想走这条路 |
[1:33:06] | Lewis, with respect, we are the advisory committee. | 刘易斯 恕我直言 我们是顾问委员会 |
[1:33:08] | We will give them our advice. | 我们会给他们我们的建议 |
[1:33:10] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:33:15] | Dr. Oppenheimer? Hi. | 奥本海默博士? 你好 |
[1:33:18] | William Borden. Joint Committee on Atomic Energy. | 我是威廉·博登 原子能联合委员会的 |
[1:33:21] | Oh, yes, yes. | 哦 是的 是的 |
[1:33:22] | During the war, I was a pilot. | 战争期间 我是个飞行员 |
[1:33:25] | One night, flying back from a raid, I saw an amazing sight. | 一天晚上 我从一次袭击中返航 看到了令人惊讶的一幕 |
[1:33:30] | Like a meteor. A V2 rocket headed to England. | 一枚V2火箭 像流星一样飞向英格兰 |
[1:33:34] | I can’t help but imagine what it will be | 我忍不住想象 如果这枚敌人的火箭携带原子弹头 |
[1:33:36] | for such an enemy rocket to carry an atomic warhead. | 将会发生什么 |
[1:33:50] | Let’s make sure we’re not the ones to make that possible. | 我们将确保不是我们让这一切成为可能 |
[1:33:58] | Oppie, I don’t think you want to go up against Strauss. | 奥比 我觉得你不该和施特劳斯较劲 |
[1:34:01] | If we both speak, they listen to me. | 如果大家都表态 他们就会听我的 |
[1:34:04] | When you speak, they hear a prophet. When Strauss speaks, they hear themselves. | 你说话时 他们听到的是先知 施特劳斯说话时 他们听到的是自己 |
[1:34:08] | They’ll listen to a prophet. | 他们会听先知的话 |
[1:34:10] | A prophet can’t be wrong. Not once. | 先知不会错 一次也不会 |
[1:34:13] | Did you accuse Oppenheimer of sabotaging the development of the Super? | 你有没有指控奥本海默破坏了氢弹的研发? |
[1:34:17] | I was never one of those to bandy around terms like sabotage. | 我从来不是那种喜欢搞阴谋诡计的人 |
[1:34:21] | -But Mr. Borden was? -As I understand it, possibly. | -但博登先生是? -据我所知 有可能 |
[1:34:25] | How was Mr. Borden able to put together such a detailed indictment? | 博登先生是如何写出这么详细的起诉书的? |
[1:34:29] | He was no longer a government employee, yet he appears to have had | 他不再是政府雇员了 但他似乎 |
[1:34:31] | unlimited access to Dr. Oppenheimer’s file. | 仍然可以访问奥本海默博士的档案 |
[1:34:34] | Might Mr. Nichols have given him access to the file? | 尼科尔斯先生有没有可能给他看文件的权限? |
[1:34:37] | Or someone else at the AEC? | 还是原子能委员会的人? |
[1:34:39] | That’s a very serious accusation, Senator. | 这是非常严重的指控 参议员 |
[1:34:42] | Is it your intention to suggest | 你是不是想说 |
[1:34:43] | that Dr. Oppenheimer is disloyal to the United States? | 奥本海默博士对美国不忠? |
[1:34:47] | I’ve always assumed, and still assume, that he’s loyal to the United States. | 我始终认为 并且现在仍然认为他忠于美国 |
[1:34:52] | I believe this, and I shall believe it, | 我相信 我也会一直相信 |
[1:34:53] | until I see very conclusive proof to the opposite. | 除非我看到相反的确凿证据 |
[1:34:56] | Do you or do you not believe that Dr. Oppenheimer is a security risk? | 你是否相信奥本海默博士存在安全风险? |
[1:35:09] | If I may, look, when Hitler blew his brains out in that bunker, | 容我说一句 希特勒在地堡里自爆以后 |
[1:35:12] | it is my humble opinion that there is no need | 我个人认为没有必要 |
[1:35:15] | for that bomb to be seen anywhere except that test site. | 除了那个试验场 原子弹在任何地方都不该使用 |
[1:35:18] | Well, we at least have to take a moment to think about | 我觉得 我们至少得花点时间想想 |
[1:35:20] | whether the means justify the ends any longer because… | 目的正义是否就意味着手段正义 因为…… |
[1:35:27] | Germany is about to surrender. | 德国就要投降了 |
[1:35:31] | It’s no longer the enemy who are the greatest threat to mankind. | 对人类最大的威胁不再是敌人 |
[1:35:35] | It’s our work. | 而是我们的工作 |
[1:35:38] | Hitler’s dead. It’s true. | 确实 希特勒死了 |
[1:35:43] | But the Japanese fight on. | 但日本还在负隅顽抗 |
[1:35:45] | Their defeat seems assured. | 看来他们必败无疑 |
[1:35:47] | Not if you’re a G.I. preparing to invade. | 除非你准备派军队入侵 |
[1:35:50] | We can end this war. | 我们可以结束这场战争 |
[1:35:52] | But how do we justify using this weapon on human beings? | 但我们如何证明对人类使用这种武器是正当的呢? |
[1:35:58] | We’re theorists. Yes? | 我们是理论家 不是吗? |
[1:36:03] | We imagine a future, and our imaginings horrify us. | 我们想象未来 而我们的想象让我们感到恐惧 |
[1:36:08] | They won’t fear it until they understand it, | 直到世人看见它 他们才会害怕它 |
[1:36:10] | and they won’t understand it until they’ve used it. | 直到我们使用它 世人才会看见它 |
[1:36:13] | When the world learns the terrible secret of Los Alamos, | 当全世界都知道洛斯阿拉莫斯可怕的秘密时 |
[1:36:17] | our work here will ensure a peace mankind has never seen. | 我们在这里的工作将开启人类史上一个崭新的和平 |
[1:36:21] | A peace based on the kind of international cooperation | 建立在国际合作基础上的和平 |
[1:36:24] | that Roosevelt always envisaged. | 罗斯福总统一直梦寐以求的和平 |
[1:36:31] | -Progress? -Two years and a billion dollars’ worth. | -进展如何? -两年 花了十亿美元 |
[1:36:35] | -Hard to put a price on it. -Not really, just add up the bills. | -很难用金钱来衡量 -不 只是把账单加起来 |
[1:36:38] | Rural free deliveries. 80 babies delivered the first year. | 都快成野战孕妇营地了 第一年出生80个婴儿 |
[1:36:43] | This year we’ve had ten, a month. | 今年我们一个月就有十个 |
[1:36:45] | Birth control is a little out of my jurisdiction, General. | 节育有点超出我的能力范围啊 将军 |
[1:36:49] | -Clearly. -General. | -显而易见 -将军 |
[1:36:56] | Head down, everybody. Fuchs, head down. | 大家低头 福克斯 低头 |
[1:37:06] | That’s the one! | 就是这个! |
[1:37:08] | Two viable bombs. | 两枚可用的炸弹 |
[1:37:10] | I need a date. | 给我个时间 |
[1:37:13] | September. | 九月 |
[1:37:15] | July. | 七月 |
[1:37:16] | That’s the sweet spot, gentlemen. | 这次爆破完美 先生们 |
[1:37:18] | August. | 八月 |
[1:37:20] | July. | 七月 |
[1:37:22] | Tests in July. | 七月份测试 |
[1:37:24] | But I need my brother. | 但我需要我弟弟 |
[1:37:29] | Frank knows the desert. He’s left politics behind. | 弗兰克了解沙漠 他早把政治抛在脑后了 |
[1:37:32] | He’s been working with Lawrence for two years now. | 他已经和劳伦斯共事两年 |
[1:37:41] | What do we call the test? | 这次测试叫什么? |
[1:37:44] | “Batter my heart, | “敲打我心 |
[1:37:46] | “three-person’d God.” | “圣父、圣子、圣灵” |
[1:37:48] | What? | 什么? |
[1:37:50] | Trinity. | 三位一体 |
[1:37:59] | You insisted on bringing on your brother Frank, a known communist. | 你坚持要带上你弟弟弗兰克 一个著名的共产党员 |
[1:38:03] | Former communist. | 前共产党员 |
[1:38:05] | You brought a known former communist… | 你让一个著名的前共产主义者 进入…… |
[1:38:07] | onto America’s most secret and important defense project. | 美国最机密最重要的国防项目 |
[1:38:10] | I knew my brother could be trusted. Absolutely. | 我知道我弟弟是可以信任的 绝对可以 |
[1:38:14] | And you thought your judgment was sound on who on the team could be trusted? | 你觉得你对团队中谁可以信任的判断是正确的吗? |
[1:38:18] | Fuchs, head down. | 福克斯 低头 |
[1:38:19] | Okay. Everybody ready? | 好了 都准备好了吗? |
[1:38:30] | -I hope you learned something. -Yeah, we’ve learned we’re gonna need | -我希望你学到些东西 -是的 我们已经知道我们需要 |
[1:38:33] | to be a lot further away. -Well, figure it out, fast. | 一个更远的地方 -好吧 快点想办法 |
[1:38:36] | We leave for Washington in the morning. We’re going to give him a date. | 我们明早去华盛顿 我们要给他们个准信 |
[1:38:54] | You’re a long way from Chicago, Leo. | 大老远从芝加哥来啊 利奥 |
[1:38:56] | If we don’t act now, they’re going to use this thing against Japan. | 如果我们现在不行动 他们就会用这东西对付日本 |
[1:38:59] | We booked a meeting with Truman, but somebody killed it. | 我们和杜鲁门预约见面 但被人取消了 |
[1:39:02] | You’re meeting the Secretary of War. | 你要去见战争部长 |
[1:39:04] | Just because we’re building it, doesn’t mean we get to decide how it’s used. | 就因为是我们制造的 并不意味着我们可以决定如何使用它 |
[1:39:09] | History will judge us, Robert. | 历史将审评我们 罗伯特 |
[1:39:12] | In Chicago, we put together a petition. | 在芝加哥 我们起草了一份请愿书 |
[1:39:15] | I’m not… I’m not getting into this. | 我不……我不想参与这个 |
[1:39:21] | Just tell me your concerns, and I’ll relate them. | 只要告诉我你的担忧 我会传达的 |
[1:39:23] | My concerns? Germany’s defeated. | 我的担忧? 德国战败了 |
[1:39:26] | Japan’s not going to hold out alone. | 日本独木难支 |
[1:39:28] | How could you know that? You got us into this. | 你怎么知道? 是你把我们牵扯进来的 |
[1:39:30] | You and Einstein, with your letter to Roosevelt saying we could build a bomb. | 你和爱因斯坦 还有你给罗斯福写信说我们可以制造原子弹 |
[1:39:33] | Against Germany. | 那是对付德国 |
[1:39:35] | That’s not how weapons manufacture works, Szilard. | 制造武器可不管这些 西拉德 |
[1:39:38] | Oppie, you have to help. | 奥比 你得帮帮我 |
[1:39:39] | Fermi’s in the meeting. Lawrence is in the meeting. | 费米参加会议 劳伦斯参加会议 |
[1:39:41] | They’re not you. You’re the great salesman of science. | 他们不是你 你是伟大的科学推销员 |
[1:39:44] | You can convince anyone of anything. | 你可以说服任何人相信任何事 |
[1:39:47] | Even yourself. | 甚至是你自己 |
[1:39:49] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[1:39:52] | The firestorm in Tokyo killed 100,000 people, mostly civilians. | 东京大火造成10万人死亡 其中大部分是平民 |
[1:39:58] | I worry about America when we do these things and no one protests. | 当我们做这些事情时却没有人抗议 我开始担心美国 |
[1:40:01] | Pearl Harbor, and three years of brutal conflict in the Pacific, | 珍珠港事件 以及三年来太平洋地区的残酷杀戮 |
[1:40:04] | buys a lot of latitude with the American public. | 给了我们在美国公众心目中极大的自由 |
[1:40:07] | Enough to unleash the atomic bomb? | 足以投掷原子弹吗? |
[1:40:09] | Uh, the A-bomb might not cause as much damage as the Tokyo bombings. | 原子弹造成的破坏可能没有轰炸东京那么严重 |
[1:40:13] | What are we estimating? | 我们估计如何? |
[1:40:14] | In a medium-sized city, uh… | 在一个中等规模的城市 呃…… |
[1:40:17] | 20,000 or 30,000 dead. | 死亡两三万人 |
[1:40:19] | Yes, but don’t underestimate | 是的 但是不可低估 |
[1:40:21] | the psychological impact of an atomic explosion. | 原子弹爆炸的心理影响 |
[1:40:25] | A pillar of fire, 10,000 feet tall, | 一个烈焰冲天的万丈火柱 |
[1:40:29] | deadly neutron effects for a mile, | 一英里范围内致命的中子效应 |
[1:40:31] | in all directions, from one single device. | 从一台装置向四面八方扩散 |
[1:40:35] | Dropped from a barely-noticed B-29, the atomic bomb will be… | 从一架毫不起眼的B-29轰炸机上投下 原子弹将是…… |
[1:40:40] | a terrible revelation of divine power. | 神圣力量的末日启示 |
[1:40:43] | If that’s true, it would be definitive. | 如果你说的是真的 那就确凿无疑了 |
[1:40:46] | World War II would be over. | 第二次世界大战就此结束 |
[1:40:48] | Our boys would come home. | 我们的孩子将会回家 |
[1:40:50] | Military targets? | 攻击目标呢? |
[1:40:52] | But there aren’t any big enough. | 如果没有足够大的城市 |
[1:40:54] | Perhaps a vital war plant, | 也可以选一个重要的兵工厂 |
[1:40:57] | with workers housed nearby. | 工人们住在附近 |
[1:41:00] | And we could issue a warning to reduce civilian casualties. | 我们可以发出警告 减少平民伤亡 |
[1:41:03] | They’d send everything they have up against us, | 他们会不惜一切代价对付我们 |
[1:41:05] | and I’d be up in that plane. | 甚至打落每一架飞机 |
[1:41:07] | If we announce it, and it fails to go off, | 如果我们宣布了 但没有成功 |
[1:41:10] | we’d scupper any chance of a Japanese surrender. | 反而会激起日本战争的气焰 |
[1:41:13] | Is there no way to demonstrate a bomb to Japan to provoke surrender? | 难道没有办法向日本展示原子弹来导致投降吗? |
[1:41:18] | We intend to demonstrate it in the most unambiguous terms. | 我们打算用最无可争辩的事实来宣布这一点 |
[1:41:21] | Twice. | 两次 |
[1:41:22] | Once to show the weapon’s power, | 一次为了展示武器的威力 |
[1:41:24] | and a second to show that we can keep doing this until they surrender. | 第二次证明我们可以一直这么做直到他们投降 |
[1:41:28] | We have a list of 12 cities to choose from. | 我们有12座城市可供选择 |
[1:41:31] | Sorry, 11. | 对不起 11座 |
[1:41:33] | I’ve taken Kyoto off the list, | 我已经把京都从名单上划掉了 |
[1:41:35] | due to its cultural significance to the Japanese people. | 鉴于它对日本人民的文化意义 |
[1:41:39] | Also, my wife and I honeymooned there. | 还有 我和我妻子在那里度蜜月 |
[1:41:41] | It’s a magnificent city. | 这是一座美丽绝伦的城市 |
[1:41:47] | Let me make this simple for you, gentlemen. | 让我把事情简单化 先生们 |
[1:41:48] | According to my intelligence, which I cannot share with you, | 根据我不能告诉你们的情报 |
[1:41:51] | the Japanese people will not surrender, | 日本人无论如何 |
[1:41:53] | under any circumstances, | 不会投降 |
[1:41:55] | short of a successful and total invasion of the home islands. | 除非能成功彻底地占领本岛 |
[1:41:59] | Many lives would be lost, American and Japanese. | 许多人将失去生命 包括美国人和日本人 |
[1:42:02] | The use of the atomic bomb on Japanese cities will save lives. | 在日本城市使用原子弹将拯救生命 |
[1:42:06] | If we retain moral advantage. | 如果我们保持道德优势 |
[1:42:09] | -How so? -Well, if we use this weapon | -为什么这么说? -一旦我们使用这个武器 |
[1:42:10] | without informing our allies, they’ll see it as a threat, | 而不通知我们的盟友 他们会将其视为威胁 |
[1:42:13] | and we’ll be in an arms race. | 我们就会陷入军备竞赛 |
[1:42:14] | How open can we be with the Soviets? | 我们能对苏联人开诚布公吗? |
[1:42:16] | Secrecy won’t stop the Soviets from becoming part of the atomic world. | 保密不会阻止苏联加入原子俱乐部 |
[1:42:21] | -We’ve been told they have no uranium. -You’ve been misinformed. | -我们被告知他们没有铀 -你们被误导了 |
[1:42:24] | A Russian bomb is a matter of time. | 俄国拥有原子弹只是时间问题 |
[1:42:26] | The program needs to continue at full pace after the war. | 战后这个项目需要全速推进 |
[1:42:30] | Secretary Simpson, if I may, | 辛普森部长 容我说一句 |
[1:42:32] | not all scientists on the project are in agreement. | 并非所有参与该项目的科学家都意见一致 |
[1:42:36] | In fact, this might be a moment to consider other opinions. | 事实上 现在可能是考虑其他意见的时候了 |
[1:42:39] | -If you talk to scientists… -The Manhattan Project has been plagued | -如果你和科学家谈谈…… -曼哈顿计划陷入困境 |
[1:42:42] | from the start by certain scientists of… | 从某些科学家开始…… |
[1:42:45] | doubtful discretion, and uncertain loyalty. | 他们有着令人怀疑的谨慎和摇摆不定的忠诚 |
[1:42:47] | One of ’em just tried to meet with the President. | 其中一位刚刚试图与总统见面 |
[1:42:49] | Now, we need these men, | 现在 我们需要这些人 |
[1:42:51] | but as soon as it’s practical, | 但一旦实现了 |
[1:42:53] | we should sever any such scientists from the program. | 我们应该把任何这样的科学家从这个项目中除名 |
[1:42:55] | Wouldn’t you agree, Doctor? | 你同意吗 博士? |
[1:42:58] | If a Russian bomb is inevitable, | 如果俄国的原子弹不可避免 |
[1:43:00] | perhaps we should invite their top scientist to Trinity. | 也许我们应该邀请他们的顶尖科学家来三一学院 |
[1:43:03] | President Truman has no intention of raising expectations | 杜鲁门总统无意提高 |
[1:43:07] | that Stalin be included in the atomic project. | 人们对斯大林参与原子项目的期望 |
[1:43:10] | Informing him of our breakthrough, | 向他通报我们的突破 |
[1:43:11] | and presenting it as a means to win the war, | 并以此作为赢得战争的手段 |
[1:43:13] | need not make unkeepable promises. | 又不需要做出不可兑现的承诺 |
[1:43:15] | But, the Potsdam Peace Conference in July | 不过 七月份的波茨坦和平会议 |
[1:43:17] | will be President Truman’s last chance to have that conversation. | 将是杜鲁门总统进行这一对话的最后机会 |
[1:43:22] | Can you give us a working bomb by then? | 你能在那之前给我们一颗可用的原子弹吗? |
[1:43:25] | Absolutely. | 绝对可以 |
[1:43:26] | We will test fire before the conference. | 我们将赶在会议开始前进行测试 |
[1:43:33] | Ground zero. Observation posts | 原爆点 观察哨 |
[1:43:35] | at 10,000 yards, north, south, and west. | 一万英尺外 北边 南边 西边 |
[1:43:39] | -Where do we trigger from? -South, 10,000. | -我们从哪里引爆? -南边 一万英尺 |
[1:43:42] | And base camp is ten miles south here. | 大本营在这儿以南十英里处 |
[1:43:46] | And there’s a further observation post on that hill, 20 miles away. | 20英里外的那座山上还有一个观察哨 |
[1:43:51] | What’s that, Frank? Trigger lines already went in. | 那是什么 弗兰克? 引爆线已经就位了 |
[1:43:54] | The Air Force requested a line of lights for their B-29. | 空军要求为他们的B-29飞机配备一排照明灯 |
[1:43:58] | What B-29? Our bomb’s on the tower. | 什么B- 29? 我们的炸弹在塔上 |
[1:44:00] | They want to use the test | 他们想利用这次测试 |
[1:44:01] | to confirm a safe operating distance. -That’s risky. | 确认安全操作距离 -太危险了 |
[1:44:04] | But not as risky as dropping one over Japan, | 总比不上在日本上空空投那么危险 |
[1:44:06] | and hoping that we were right about the blast radius. | 希望我们对爆炸半径的判断是正确的 |
[1:44:08] | Don’t let ’em slow us down, we’re firing on the 15th. | 别让他们拖慢我们的进度 我们将在15号测试 |
[1:44:10] | -The 15th? That’s not… -The 15th. | -15号? 那不是…… -15号 |
[1:44:14] | 15th. | 15号 |
[1:44:17] | So I’ll be here at South Observation Point | 我会守在南观察站 |
[1:44:19] | with Frank and Kistiakowsky. | 与弗兰克和基斯佳科夫斯基一起 |
[1:44:21] | You’ll all be assigned to Base Camp, | 你们都会安排到大本营 |
[1:44:24] | West Observation, or Far Observation. | 西观测站 或称远观测点 |
[1:44:36] | Hey, whoa, whoa! Careful with that knife. | 嘿 哇 小心那把刀 |
[1:44:42] | Are those safe distances? | 这些距离安全吗? |
[1:44:44] | They’re based on your calculations. | 它们是根据你的计算得出的 |
[1:44:46] | Time to stand behind your science, Hans. Literally. | 是时候支持你的科学了 汉斯 真心的 |
[1:45:18] | What about the radiation cloud? | 辐射云怎样? |
[1:45:20] | Without high winds, it should settle within 2-3 miles. | 如果没有强风 它应该会散落在2-3英里范围内 |
[1:45:23] | Evacuation measures are in place. | 疏散措施已就位 |
[1:45:25] | But we need good weather for visibility, so it has to be fine. | 但是我们需要好的天气来提高能见度 所以必须是晴天 |
[1:45:30] | Everybody out! | 所有人都出去! |
[1:45:41] | We go on the night of the 15th. It’s a hard deadline. | 我们在15号晚上行动 剩下时间不多 |
[1:45:44] | So if anyone has anything, speak now. | 所以如果有人有什么事 请现在就说 |
[1:45:49] | Okay, stop, stop! Everybody, mattresses. | 好了 停下 停下! 所有人注意 上床垫 |
[1:45:51] | Put the mattress there, underneath. | 把床垫辅在下面 |
[1:46:10] | We could use a final implosion test. | 我们可以进行最后的内爆测试 |
[1:46:15] | -It couldn’t hurt. -Do it. | -又没什么坏处 -干吧 |
[1:46:19] | Is there anything else that might stop us? | 还有什么能阻止我们吗? |
[1:46:56] | It’s happening, isn’t it? | 开始了 是吗? |
[1:46:59] | I’ll send a message. | 我会发信息 |
[1:47:02] | If it’s gone our way: | 如果事情顺利 |
[1:47:05] | “Take in the sheets.” | “把床单收起来” |
[1:47:10] | Robert. | 罗伯特 |
[1:47:14] | Break a leg. | 祝你成功 |
[1:47:28] | Look. | 看 |
[1:48:22] | Oppie’s taken a very modest three kilotons. | 奥比投注三千吨当量 非常稳健 |
[1:48:25] | -20! -Teller’s view is 45. -20! | -泰勒预测4万5千吨 |
[1:48:27] | 20,000 tons of TNT. | 有人押2万吨TNT当量 |
[1:48:30] | And does anyone want the side action on atmospheric ignition? | 没人想赌点燃大气层的副作用吗? |
[1:48:35] | Are you saying we’ll have to delay? | 你是说我们必须推迟吗? |
[1:48:37] | I’m saying it would be prudent. | 我是说这样做比较稳妥 |
[1:48:39] | This weather, has it reached the site? | 这种天气 已经到达现场了吗? |
[1:48:46] | Bethe is calling to tell you the implosion test failed. | 贝斯打电话来告诉你内爆测试失败了 |
[1:48:48] | Hello, Hans? Yes, he’s here. | 喂 汉斯? 是的 他在这里 |
[1:48:52] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:48:55] | Is he wrong? | 他错了吗? |
[1:48:57] | -No. -No? | -没有 -没有? |
[1:48:58] | No. | 没有 |
[1:49:00] | So we’re about to fire a dud? | 这枚炸弹很可能会是一枚哑弹? |
[1:49:02] | -No. -Explain! | -不 -解释一下! |
[1:49:03] | Well, I can’t. I just, I… | 嗯 我不能 我只是 我…… |
[1:49:05] | I just know, I know the implosion lenses will work. | 我只知道 我知道内爆会成功的 |
[1:49:07] | If we fire these detonators and they don’t trigger a reaction, | 如果我们发射这些引爆器而它们没有引发反应 |
[1:49:10] | two years’ worth of plutonium will be scattered across White Sands. | 两年生产的钚会散落在白沙上 |
[1:49:13] | A month of my salary against ten bucks says it lights. | 我用一个月的工资 和你赌十块钱 内爆能成功 |
[1:49:17] | Oh, Jesus! | 哦 上帝! |
[1:49:25] | The wind’s pickin’ up at zero, not the rain. Lightning’s circling. | 原暴点有风 没有雨 电闪雷鸣 |
[1:49:29] | Think it might be time to tell your men to get away | 我想是时候让你的人离开了 |
[1:49:31] | from the steel tower with the atomic bomb? | 带着原子弹从钢铁塔里落荒而逃? |
[1:49:37] | Let’s get to South Observation. | 我们去南观察站 |
[1:49:38] | Pull ’em out, and we can make our determination there. | 豁出来 我们能在那里下定决心 |
[1:49:47] | The team hasn’t slept in two nights! | 团队已经两夜没合眼了! |
[1:49:49] | If we stand down and make the bomb safe, we won’t be back here for weeks! | 如果我们停止 确保炸弹安全 我们几个星期都回不来! |
[1:49:52] | And we’ll miss Potsdam! | 我们会错过波茨坦的! |
[1:49:54] | I gotta get word to Truman by seven, our window’s closing. | 我必须在七点前通知杜鲁门 留给我们的时间不多了 |
[1:49:57] | -What is this doing? -Raining, blowing, lightning. | -现在情况怎样? -暴雨 狂风 闪电 |
[1:49:59] | -For how long, damnit? -Holdin’ strong! | -还要多久 该死? -坚持住! |
[1:50:02] | It’ll break before dawn. | 天亮前会好的 |
[1:50:03] | -How could you know that? -I know this desert. | -你怎么知道? -我了解这片沙漠 |
[1:50:05] | Storm cools overnight. Just before dawn, storm breaks. | 暴风雨持续一整夜 当黎明到来 就会转晴 |
[1:50:08] | You could be right, | 你可能是对的 |
[1:50:09] | but schedule as late as possible. -Five-thirty. | 但要尽可能安排晚一些 -五点半 |
[1:50:12] | Sign your forecast. If you’re wrong, I’ll hang you. | 同意你的预报 如果你错了 我就绞死你 |
[1:50:14] | -Tell ’em all. Five-thirty. -Five-thirty, five-thirty! | -告诉大家 五点半 -五点半 五点半! |
[1:50:20] | Three years, 4,000 people, two billion dollars. | 三年 四千人 二十亿美元 |
[1:50:25] | Well, if it doesn’t go off, | 如果没有爆炸 |
[1:50:28] | we’re both finished. | 我们就完犊子了 |
[1:50:32] | I’m betting on three kilotons. | 我赌三千吨当量 |
[1:50:35] | Anything less, they won’t get what it is. | 做不到这一点 他们就不会明白它是什么 |
[1:50:37] | Now, what did Fermi mean by, uh, atmospheric ignition? | 费米所说的点燃大气层是什么意思? |
[1:50:41] | Well, we had a moment where it looked like the chain reaction | 嗯 有那么一阵子 我们以为连锁反应似乎 |
[1:50:43] | from an atomic device might never stop. | 永远也不会停止 |
[1:50:47] | Setting fire to the atmosphere. | 燃烧了整个大气层 |
[1:50:49] | Why’s Fermi still taking side bets on it? | 为什么费米要拿这来赌? |
[1:50:52] | Call it gallows humor. | 这叫黑色幽默 |
[1:50:57] | Wait, are we saying there’s a chance that when we push that button, | 等等 你是说当我们按下那个按钮 |
[1:51:02] | we destroy the world? | 我们可能会毁灭整个世界? |
[1:51:03] | Nothing in our research over three years supports that conclusion, | 我们三年来的研究都不支持这个结论 |
[1:51:07] | except as the most remote possibility. | 可能性微乎其乎 |
[1:51:10] | -How remote? -Chances are near-zero. | -有多小? -可能性几乎为零 |
[1:51:14] | Near-zero? | 几乎为零? |
[1:51:16] | What do you want from theory alone? | 这是理论 你还想怎样? |
[1:51:20] | Zero would be nice. | 最好是零 |
[1:51:26] | In exactly one hour… | 正好一小时…… |
[1:51:29] | and 58 minutes, we’ll know. | 58分钟后 就见分晓了 |
[1:51:39] | It’s letting up. | 转睛了 |
[1:51:53] | The arming party’s left zero, they’re heading this way. | 武装部队已经撤离 他们朝这边来了 |
[1:51:55] | Throw on your switches. | 打开开关 |
[1:51:56] | Turn the cars! Ready for emergency evacuation. | 掉头 准备紧急疏散 |
[1:52:17] | …welder’s glass. Everybody take their places. | ……拿上焊工玻璃 大家各就各位 |
[1:52:21] | Everybody take a welder’s glass! | 每个人拿一块焊工玻璃! |
[1:52:24] | Everybody take a welder’s glass! | 每个人拿一块焊工玻璃! |
[1:53:18] | 20 minutes. | 20分钟 |
[1:53:23] | 20 minutes! | 20分钟! |
[1:53:35] | That’s 20! | 还有20分钟! |
[1:53:40] | On the leg, please. | 请放腿上 |
[1:53:43] | -Feynman? -No. | -费曼? -不 |
[1:53:45] | The glass stops the UV. | 玻璃可以阻挡紫外线 |
[1:53:48] | What stops the glass? | 那什么阻挡玻璃? |
[1:53:51] | I’m heading to base camp. | 我要去大本营 |
[1:53:52] | Best of luck. | 祝你好运 |
[1:53:54] | Robert? | 罗伯特? |
[1:53:57] | Try not to blow up the world. | 尽量不要炸毁世界 |
[1:54:10] | Watch that needle. If the detonators don’t charge, | 小心指针 如果雷管不充电 |
[1:54:13] | and the voltage drops below one volt, | 电压降到一伏以下 |
[1:54:15] | you hit that button, you abort. Understood? | 你就按下那个按钮 中止行动 明白吗? |
[1:54:18] | Understood. | 明白 |
[1:54:26] | Two minutes to detonation. | 距离爆炸还有2分钟 |
[1:54:29] | Everybody down! | 所有人都趴下! |
[1:54:31] | Do not turn around until you see light reflected on the hills. | 在看到山上的反射光前 不要转身 |
[1:54:35] | Then look at the explosion only through your welder’s glass. | 只能透过焊工玻璃看爆炸 |
[1:54:38] | 90 seconds to detonation. | 距离爆炸还有90秒 |
[1:54:42] | 80 seconds to detonation. | 距离爆炸还有80秒 |
[1:54:45] | Is it rubbed in? | 抹够了吗? |
[1:54:47] | Yeah. | 够了 |
[1:54:55] | 60 seconds to detonation. | 距离爆炸还有60秒 |
[1:55:13] | These things are hard on your heart. | 等待才是最可怕的事情 |
[1:55:15] | 30 seconds. | 30秒 |
[1:55:22] | Detonators charged! | 雷管充电完毕! |
[1:55:33] | 17 | 17. |
[1:55:35] | 16 | 16. |
[1:55:36] | 15 | 15. |
[1:55:38] | 14 | 14. |
[1:55:40] | 13 | 13. |
[1:55:42] | 12 | 12. |
[1:55:43] | 11 | 11. |
[1:55:45] | Ten. | 十 |
[1:55:47] | Nine. | 九 |
[1:55:49] | Eight. | 八 |
[1:55:52] | Seven. | 七 |
[1:55:54] | Six. | 六 |
[1:55:57] | Five. | 五 |
[1:56:00] | Four. | 四 |
[1:56:02] | Three. | 三 |
[1:56:05] | Two. | 二 |
[1:56:07] | One. | 一 |
[1:57:41] | “And now I am become Death… | “现在我成了死神…… |
[1:57:46] | “the destroyer of worlds.” | “世界的毁灭者” |
[1:58:21] | It worked. | 成功了 |
[1:58:58] | You owe me ten dollars! | 你欠我十块钱! |
[1:59:02] | -Come on! -I… I’m good for it, Kisti. | -快点! -我……认赌服输 科斯基 |
[1:59:05] | You are! | 你输了! |
[1:59:07] | Yes, you are! | 是的 你输了! |
[1:59:46] | Get me Potsdam right away. | 马上给我接波茨坦 |
[1:59:59] | Get a message to Kitty. | 给凯蒂带个口信 |
[2:00:01] | -We can’t say anything. -Tell her to take in the sheets. | -我们什么也不能说 -叫她把床单收起来 |
[2:00:19] | -Hello? -Hi, Kitty? | -喂? -嗨 凯蒂? |
[2:00:21] | What? What? Charlotte? Charlotte, go ahead. Go ahead. | 什么? 什么? 夏洛特? 夏洛特 继续 继续 |
[2:00:24] | Oh, um, well, I don’t know, | 噢 嗯 好的 我不知道 |
[2:00:26] | he just said to tell you to bring in the sheets. | 他只是让你把床单收起来 |
[2:00:31] | Kitty? | 凯蒂? |
[2:00:34] | Kitty? Kitty, are you still there? | 凯蒂? 凯蒂 你还在吗? |
[2:00:44] | If they detonate it too high in the air, the blast won’t be as powerful. | 如果引爆的位置太高 爆炸的威力就会减弱 |
[2:00:47] | With respect, Dr. Oppenheimer, we’ll take it from here. | 恕我直言 奥本海默博士 接下来交给我们吧 |
[2:01:01] | Did Truman brief Stalin at Potsdam? | 杜鲁门在波茨坦向斯大林通报了吗? |
[2:01:04] | “Brief” would be an overstatement. | 说“通报”有点夸张 |
[2:01:07] | He referred to a powerful new weapon. | 他提到了一种强大的新式武器 |
[2:01:11] | Stalin… hoped we’d use it against Japan. | 斯大林……希望我们用它来对付日本 |
[2:01:17] | That’s it? | 就这样? |
[2:01:19] | Robert, we’ve given them an ace. It’s for them to play the hand. | 罗伯特 我们给了他们一张王牌 随他们玩 |
[2:01:24] | You’re aiming for the sixth? | 你的目标是六号? |
[2:01:27] | It’s up to the CO in the Pacific. | 这取决于太平洋战区的指挥官 |
[2:01:30] | Should I come with you to Washington? | 我应该和你一起去华盛顿吗? |
[2:01:34] | What for? | 做什么? |
[2:01:37] | Well, you keep me informed. | 有消息随时通知我 |
[2:01:40] | Of course. | 当然 |
[2:01:43] | As best I can. | 尽我所能 |
[2:02:03] | Would the Japanese surrender if they knew what was coming? | 如果日本人知道即将发生的事 他们会投降吗? |
[2:02:07] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[2:02:11] | Have you seen Szilard’s petition? | 你看过西拉德的请愿书吗? |
[2:02:13] | How the hell does Szilard know about the Japanese? | 西拉德怎么会了解日本人? |
[2:02:15] | You’re not signing it, are you? | 你不会签吧? |
[2:02:18] | Many people have. A lot of people. | 很多人都签了 很多人 |
[2:02:20] | Edward… | 爱德华…… |
[2:02:23] | the fact that we built this bomb does not give us any more, | 我们造了这个炸弹并不能给我们比其他人更多的信息 |
[2:02:25] | any more right or responsibility | 更多的权利和责任 |
[2:02:27] | to decide how it’s used than anyone else. | 来决定如何使用它 |
[2:02:30] | But we’re the only people who know about it. | 但我们是唯一知道这件事的人 |
[2:02:32] | I’ve told Stimson the various opinions of the community. | 我已经告诉史汀生 社区有各种意见 |
[2:02:35] | But what’s your opinion? | 但你的意见呢? |
[2:02:38] | Once it’s used… | 一旦使用…… |
[2:02:40] | nuclear war, perhaps… | 也许 就是核战争…… |
[2:02:43] | all war… | 所有战争…… |
[2:02:45] | becomes unthinkable. | 变得难以想象 |
[2:02:47] | Until somebody builds a bigger one. | 直到有人造出一个更大的炸弹 |
[2:03:10] | I thought they would call. | 我以为他们会打电话来 |
[2:03:12] | It’s only the fifth. | 今天才5号 |
[2:03:16] | In Japan, it’s the sixth. | 在日本 现在6号了 |
[2:03:31] | Charlotte? | 夏洛特? |
[2:03:34] | Try Groves. | 试试格罗夫斯 |
[2:03:37] | Anything? | 没有吗? |
[2:03:40] | -Charlotte? -Truman’s on the radio. | -夏洛特? -杜鲁门在广播 |
[2:03:44] | 16 hours ago, | 16小时前 |
[2:03:47] | an American airplane | 一架美国飞机 |
[2:03:49] | dropped one bomb on Hiroshima, | 在广岛投下了一颗炸弹 |
[2:03:54] | and destroyed its usefulness to the enemy. | 彻底摧毁了敌人 |
[2:03:59] | The bomb has more power | 炸弹威力巨大 |
[2:04:02] | than 20,000 tons of TNT. | 超过2万吨TNT炸药 |
[2:04:07] | It is an atomic bomb. | 这是一颗原子弹 |
[2:04:12] | It is a harnessing of the basic power of the universe. | 它是对宇宙基本力量的驾驭 |
[2:04:19] | Groves on one. | 格罗夫斯在一号线 |
[2:04:26] | General? | 将军? |
[2:04:27] | I’m very proud of you, and all of your people. | 我为你和你的团队感到骄傲 |
[2:04:30] | It went alright? | 一切顺利吗? |
[2:04:32] | Apparently it went with a tremendous bang. | 当然 并且伴随着一声巨响 |
[2:04:35] | Well, everyone here is feeling reasonably good about it. | 嗯 这里的每个人都对此感觉良好 |
[2:04:41] | It’s been a long road. | 这是一条漫长的道路 |
[2:04:42] | I think one of the wisest things I ever did | 我觉得我做过最明智的事 |
[2:04:45] | was when I selected the director of Los Alamos. | 就是选择你作洛斯阿拉莫斯的主管 |
[2:04:51] | We have spent more than two billion dollars | 我们已经花费了超过20亿美元 |
[2:04:55] | on the greatest scientific gamble in history, | 历史上最伟大的科学赌博 |
[2:04:59] | and we have won. | 我们赢了 |
[2:05:06] | Oppie! Oppie! Oppie! | 奥比! 奥比! 奥比! |
[2:06:29] | The world… | 全世界…… |
[2:06:32] | will remember this day. | 会永远记住这一天 |
[2:06:52] | It’s too soon to… | 现在还太早…… |
[2:06:55] | It’s too soon to determine | 现在下结论还为时过早 |
[2:06:57] | what the results of the bombing are. | 爆炸的结果是什么 |
[2:07:02] | But I’ll bet the Japanese didn’t like it. | 但我打赌日本人肯定不喜欢 |
[2:07:24] | I’m so proud. | 我很自豪 |
[2:07:27] | So proud of what you have accomplished. | 为你们的成就感到骄傲 |
[2:07:37] | I just wish we had it in time to use against the Germans. | 我只是希望我们能及时用它来对付德国人 |
[2:09:29] | Dr. Oppenheimer? | 奥本海默博士? |
[2:09:31] | Dr. Oppenheimer? | 奥本海默博士? |
[2:09:34] | Nice picture. | 照片很帅 |
[2:09:36] | President Truman will see you now. | 杜鲁门总统可以见你了 |
[2:09:52] | Dr. Oppenheimer, it’s an honor. | 奥本海默博士 很荣幸见到你 |
[2:09:54] | -Mr. President. -Please. | -总统先生 -请坐 |
[2:09:56] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[2:09:58] | Secretary Byrnes. | 伯恩斯部长 |
[2:10:02] | How’s it feel to be the most famous man in the world? | 成为世界上最著名的人感觉如何? |
[2:10:06] | You helped save a lot of American lives. | 你帮助拯救了很多美国人的生命 |
[2:10:09] | -What we did at Hiroshima was… -And Nagasaki. | -我们在广岛所做的…… -还有长崎 |
[2:10:14] | Obviously. | 很明显 |
[2:10:16] | Your invention let us bring our boys home. | 你的发明让我们把孩子们带回了家 |
[2:10:20] | Well, it was hardly… my invention. | 这算不上……我的发明 |
[2:10:23] | It was you on the cover of Time. | 登上《时代》杂志封面的人是你 |
[2:10:28] | Jim tells me you’re concerned about an arms race with the Soviets. | 吉姆告诉我你担心和苏联的军备竞赛 |
[2:10:32] | Ah, yes, ah… | 啊 对 啊…… |
[2:10:34] | Well, um… | 好吧 嗯…… |
[2:10:36] | it’s that, uh, now is our chance to secure… | 现在是我们确保…… |
[2:10:41] | international cooperation on atomic energy, | 和国际原子能合作的机会 |
[2:10:44] | and-and-and I’m concerned… | 我很担心 |
[2:10:46] | Do you know when the Soviets are gonna have the bomb? | 你知道苏联什么时候会拥有原子弹吗? |
[2:10:50] | I don’t think I could give a… | 我不认为我可以给…… |
[2:10:51] | Never! | 绝不! |
[2:10:53] | Never. | 绝不 |
[2:10:55] | Mr. President, the Russians have good physicists, | 总统先生 俄国有优秀的物理学家 |
[2:10:58] | and, and abundant resources… -Abundant? | 还有丰富的资源…… -丰富? |
[2:11:01] | Yes. | 是的 |
[2:11:03] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么认为 |
[2:11:05] | Well, they’ll put everything they have in… | 嗯 他们会倾其所有…… |
[2:11:12] | I hear you’re leaving Los Alamos. | 我听说你要离开洛斯阿拉莫斯 |
[2:11:17] | What should we do with it? | 我们该拿它怎么办? |
[2:11:19] | Give it back to the Indians. | 还给印第安人 |
[2:11:28] | Um, Dr. Oppenheimer… | 奥本海默博士 |
[2:11:32] | if what you say about the Soviets is true, | 如果你说的关于苏联的事是真的 |
[2:11:35] | we have to build up Los Alamos, not shut it down. | 我们就必须扩建洛斯阿拉莫斯 而不是关闭它 |
[2:11:42] | Mr. President… | 总统先生…… |
[2:11:45] | Umm… | 嗯…… |
[2:11:50] | I feel that I have blood on my hands. | 我觉得我的双手沾满了鲜血 |
[2:12:13] | You think anyone in Hiroshima, or… | 你认为那些在广岛 或者…… |
[2:12:17] | Nagasaki, gives a shit who built the bomb? | 长崎的人 关心是谁造的炸弹吗? |
[2:12:25] | They care who dropped it. | 他们只在乎是谁扔的 |
[2:12:28] | I did. | 我干的 |
[2:12:32] | Hiroshima isn’t about you. | 广岛不是你的问题 |
[2:12:40] | Dr. Oppenheimer. | 奥本海默博士 |
[2:12:53] | Don’t let that crybaby back in here! | 别让我再在这里看见那个爱哭鬼! |
[2:13:01] | Robert saw that hand-wringing got him nowhere. | 罗伯特发现 他的悲天悯人毫无结果 |
[2:13:05] | By the time I met him, he’d fully embraced | 我遇见他的时候 他已经完全接受了 |
[2:13:07] | his “Father of the Bomb” reputation. | “原子弹之父”的名声 |
[2:13:10] | And used his profile to influence policy. | 并利用他的公众形象影响政策 |
[2:13:22] | Doctor, in the years following the war, | 博士 战后这么多年来 |
[2:13:23] | would you say that you exerted a great influence | 你是否认为你对美国的 |
[2:13:26] | on the atomic policies of the USA? | 原子能政策影响深远? |
[2:13:28] | I think “great” would be an overstatement. | 我觉得“深远”这个词有些夸张 |
[2:13:30] | Really? I mean, look at the issue of isotopes. | 真的吗? 我的意思是 看看同位素问题 |
[2:13:32] | Were you not personally responsible for destroying all opposition to their export? | 难道你没有亲自摧毁所有反对出口同位素的人吗? |
[2:13:36] | …could use a bottle of beer | ……可以用一瓶啤酒 |
[2:13:38] | in making atomic weapons. In fact, you do. | 用来制造核武器 事实上 你做得到 |
[2:13:41] | I was the spokesman, but the opinion among scientists was unanimous. | 我是发言人 但科学家们的意见是一致的 |
[2:13:45] | All along, with McCarthy on the rise, he knew he was vulnerable. | 一直以来 随着麦卡锡的崛起 他知道自己很脆弱 |
[2:13:49] | His brother was blacklisted by every university in the country. | 他弟弟被全国所有大学列入黑名单 |
[2:13:54] | Lomanitz wound up working the railroad, laying track. | 洛马尼茨最后在铁路上工作 铺铁轨 |
[2:13:59] | Chevalier went into exile. | 舍瓦利耶流放国外 |
[2:14:03] | But none of that stopped Robert | 但这些都没能阻止罗伯特 |
[2:14:06] | from pushing the GAC to recommend arms control, | 推动政府咨询委员会建议进行军备控制 |
[2:14:08] | instead of the H-Bomb. | 而不是研发氢弹 |
[2:14:12] | He was devastated when Truman rejected their recommendation. | 当杜鲁门拒绝他们的建议时 他伤心欲绝 |
[2:14:17] | I miss Richard more than I can bear. | 我无法承受对理查德的思念 |
[2:14:19] | I know, Ruth. I know. | 我知道 鲁丝 我知道 |
[2:14:21] | I’m just glad he didn’t live to see where this has all gone. | 我很高兴他没有活着看到这一切变成什么样了 |
[2:14:27] | Here comes the birthday boy, to gloat… | 小寿星来了 幸灾乐祸…… |
[2:14:30] | Have fun. | 玩得开心 |
[2:14:33] | Robert, my son and his fiancée | 罗伯特 小儿和他的未婚妻 |
[2:14:35] | are desperate to meet the father of the atomic bomb, so… | 非常期待想见到原子弹之父 于是…… |
[2:14:37] | Hello. | 你好 |
[2:14:46] | Is this a bad time? | 我来的不是时候吗? |
[2:14:48] | What do you think, Lewis? | 你觉得呢 刘易斯? |
[2:14:50] | Well, I think it must have been a blow for you. | 我想这对你一定是个打击 |
[2:14:52] | For the world. | 为了这个世界 |
[2:14:55] | The world? What does Fuchs mean to the rest of the world? | 世界? 福克斯对世界其他地方意味着什么? |
[2:14:59] | Fuchs? | 福克斯? |
[2:15:01] | Klaus Fuchs? | 克劳斯·福克斯? |
[2:15:04] | Oh dear. You haven’t heard. | 噢 亲爱的 你还没听说 |
[2:15:09] | Klaus Fuchs, the British scientist | 克劳斯·福克斯 英国科学家 |
[2:15:11] | that you put onto the implosion team at Los Alamos. | 你把他安排入洛斯阿拉莫斯的内爆小组 |
[2:15:15] | Turns out he was… | 其实他是…… |
[2:15:17] | He was spying for the Soviets the whole time. | 他一直在为苏联从事间谍活动 |
[2:15:20] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[2:15:27] | After the truth about Fuchs came out, | 福克斯的真相曝光后 |
[2:15:29] | the FBI stepped up surveillance on him. | 联邦调查局加强了对他的监视 |
[2:15:32] | He knew his phone was tapped. | 他知道他的电话被监听 |
[2:15:34] | He was followed everywhere. | 他走到哪儿都被跟踪 |
[2:15:36] | His trash picked through. | 他的垃圾被取走 |
[2:15:42] | But he never stopped speaking his mind. | 但他从未停止说出自己的想法 |
[2:15:44] | A man of conviction. | 一个有信念的人 |
[2:15:46] | And maybe he thought fame could actually protect him. | 也许他觉得名声可以保护他 |
[2:15:51] | When Eisenhower took office, he saw one more chance. | 艾森豪威尔上任后 他看到机会来了 |
[2:15:56] | He took it. | 他抓住时机 |
[2:15:57] | America and Russia may be likened… | 美国和俄国可以比作…… |
[2:16:01] | to two scorpions in a bottle. | 一只瓶子里的两只蝎子 |
[2:16:03] | Each capable of killing the other, | 每个人都有能力杀死对方 |
[2:16:07] | but only at the risk of his own life. | 但都要以自己的生命为代价 |
[2:16:10] | Now, there are various aspects of this policy… | 现在 这项政策有很多方面…… |
[2:16:12] | A lot of scientists blame me, but how was I supposed to protect him? | 很多科学家都责怪我 但我该如何保护他呢? |
[2:16:17] | …are too secret for discussion. | ……太过机密 无法讨论 |
[2:16:19] | Candor is the only remedy. | 坦诚是唯一的补救办法 |
[2:16:21] | Officials in Washington need to start leveling with the American people. | 华盛顿官员需要开始对美国人民讲真话 |
[2:16:26] | That was the last straw for Robert’s enemies. | 这是敌人压垮罗伯特的最后一根稻草 |
[2:16:29] | So he had to lose his security clearance. | 所以他不得不失去安全许可 |
[2:16:31] | And with it, his credibility. | 还有他的信誉 |
[2:16:34] | But how could they do it? | 但他们怎么做到的呢? |
[2:16:36] | He was a war hero. | 他是一名战争英雄 |
[2:16:38] | He’d already told everyone about his past. | 他已经把自己的过去告诉了所有人 |
[2:16:40] | Borden dredged it all up. | 博登把这些都挖出来了 |
[2:16:42] | How could Borden get access to Oppenheimer’s FBI file? | 博登怎么可能拿到奥本海默的联邦调查局档案? |
[2:16:45] | Could it have been Nichols? | 会不会是尼科尔斯? |
[2:16:46] | No, I can’t imagine he’d do that. | 不 我无法想象他会这么做 |
[2:16:49] | Whoever did unleashed a firestorm that burned a path in the White House, | 不管是谁干的都引发了一场大火 在白宫烧出了一条路 |
[2:16:53] | right to my desk at the AEC. | 一直烧到我原子能委员会的办公桌上 |
[2:16:56] | You seen ’em in there, right? | 你在那里见过他们 对吧? |
[2:16:58] | I’ve worked my whole life to get here. | 我花了一生的时间才到这里 |
[2:17:01] | The cabinet of the United States of America, | 进入美国内阁 |
[2:17:03] | and now, in front of the entire country, | 现在 在全国人民面前 |
[2:17:05] | they want to put me back in my place. | 他们想把我打回原形 |
[2:17:09] | A lowly shoe salesman. | 一个卑微的鞋子销售员 |
[2:17:11] | Lewis, we can win this thing. | 刘易斯 我们能赢的 |
[2:17:13] | I think we can get the Senate to grasp | 我想我们可以让参议院明白 |
[2:17:15] | that you did your duty, painful though it was. | 你尽了你的职责 虽然很痛苦 |
[2:17:18] | -Now, will Hill’s testimony back us up? -Hill will be fine. | -现在 希尔的证词能支持我们吗? -希尔会没事的 |
[2:17:21] | I don’t really know him, but he was one of Szilard’s boys in Chicago. | 我不太认识他 但他是西拉德在芝加哥的信徒 |
[2:17:24] | And they’d never forgave Robert for not | 他们永远不会原谅罗伯特 |
[2:17:26] | supporting the petition against bombing Japan. | 没有支持反对轰炸日本的请愿书 |
[2:17:30] | This was taken 31 days after the bombing. | 这是爆炸发生31天后拍摄的 |
[2:17:34] | Virtually everyone in the streets, for nearly a mile around, | 事实上 方圆近一英里街道上的每个人 |
[2:17:39] | was instantly and seriously… | 都迅速和彻底的…… |
[2:17:41] | burned. | 被烧死 |
[2:17:43] | The Japanese spoke of people who | 日本人后来把这些皮肤被烧成 |
[2:17:47] | wore striped clothing, upon whom the skin was burned in stripes. | 一条条的条纹状的人,称之为穿条纹衣服的人 |
[2:17:52] | There were many who thought themselves lucky, | 有很多人认为自己很幸运 |
[2:17:55] | who climbed out of the ruins of their homes, | 他们从家园的废墟中爬出来 |
[2:17:57] | only slightly injured. | 只是受了点轻伤 |
[2:18:00] | But they died anyway. | 但他们还是死了 |
[2:18:03] | They died days, or weeks later, | 他们几天或几周后陆续死去 |
[2:18:06] | from iridium-like rays emitted in great numbers | 死于在爆炸发生的一瞬间 |
[2:18:09] | at the moment of the explosion. | 大量放射的类铱射线 |
[2:18:13] | Did you read this crap in the papers? | 你读过报纸上的那些垃圾了吗? |
[2:18:15] | A British physicist is saying | 一位英国物理学家说 |
[2:18:16] | the atomic bombings were not the last act of World War II, | 原子弹爆炸不是第二次世界大战的最后一幕 |
[2:18:19] | but the first act of this cold war with Russia. | 而是与俄国冷战的第一幕 |
[2:18:23] | Which physicist? | 哪位物理学家? |
[2:18:24] | I think you knew him. Patrick Blackett. | 我想你认识他 帕特里克·布莱克特 |
[2:18:30] | He may not be wrong. Stimson is now telling me | 他可能没错 史汀生最近告诉我 |
[2:18:33] | we bombed an enemy that was essentially defeated. | 我们轰炸了一个基本上被打败的敌人 |
[2:18:36] | Robert, you’ve all the influence now. | 罗伯特 你现在拥有强大的影响力 |
[2:18:39] | Please, | 求你了 |
[2:18:41] | urge them to continue my research on the Super. | 敦促他们让我继续研究氢弹 |
[2:18:43] | I neither can nor will, Edward. | 我不能也不愿意 爱德华 |
[2:18:45] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[2:18:47] | It’s not the right use of our resources. | 这不是对我们资源的正确使用 |
[2:18:49] | Is that what you really believe? | 你真的这么想吗? |
[2:18:51] | J. Robert Oppenheimer? Sphinx-like guru of the atom? | J·罗伯特·奥本海默? 狮身人面像般的原子大师? |
[2:18:57] | Nobody knows what you believe. | 没有人知道你信仰什么 |
[2:18:59] | Do you? Hmm? | 你自己知道吗? 嗯? |
[2:19:02] | One final time, our program director, Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer. | 最后 有请我们的项目主管罗伯特·奥本海默博士 |
[2:19:08] | I hope that in years to come, | 我希望在未来的岁月里 |
[2:19:10] | you will look back on your work here with pride. | 当你回顾自己在这里的工作时 会感到自豪 |
[2:19:13] | But today, that pride must be tempered with a profound concern. | 虽然今天 这种自豪感必然被一种深深的忧虑所笼罩 |
[2:19:19] | If atomic weapons are to be added to the arsenals of a warring world, | 如果要把原子武器加入交战世界的武器库中 |
[2:19:24] | then the day will come when people will curse the name of Los Alamos. | 那么总有一天人们会诅咒洛斯阿拉莫斯这个名字 |
[2:19:33] | Uh, sorry, Admiral. | 呃 抱歉 将军 |
[2:19:35] | Stopped off to get this. | 中间出去拿来这个 |
[2:19:37] | Seems pretty favorable. | 看起来很有利 |
[2:19:39] | There’s Oppenheimer. What’s the caption? | 那是奥本海默 标题是什么? |
[2:19:42] | Uh, “J. Robert Oppenheimer. Strauss fought him… | 呃 “J·罗伯特·奥本海默大战施特劳斯…… |
[2:19:47] | “and the US won.” | “美国赢了” |
[2:19:49] | That’ll work. | 这就行 |
[2:19:51] | Those were your words from the other day. | 这是你那天说的话 |
[2:19:53] | We needed to pivot. | 我们需要转向 |
[2:19:54] | But how would you know what Time Magazine was gonna write? | 但你怎么知道《时代》杂志会写什么? |
[2:19:57] | Henry Luce is a friend. | 亨利·卢斯是我的朋友 |
[2:20:07] | You sat here and let me tell you how it’s done, | 你坐在这里 让我告诉你怎么做 |
[2:20:10] | but you’ve been far ahead all along. | 但其实你一直操控全局 |
[2:20:12] | Survival in Washington. | 想在华盛顿生存 |
[2:20:15] | It’s about knowing how to get things done. | 就要知道如何把事情做好 |
[2:20:18] | Right. | 没错 |
[2:20:21] | What was it you said about Borden? | 你是怎么说博登的? |
[2:20:23] | Why get caught holding the knife yourself? | 借刀杀人 方为上策? |
[2:20:27] | I’m beginning to think Borden was holding the knife for you. | 我开始觉得博登是在帮你拿刀 |
[2:20:33] | It’s gonna come down to how much influence | 这要看影响力有多大 |
[2:20:35] | Borden’s been able to exert on Teller. | 博登能够对泰勒施加压力 |
[2:20:38] | Did I say something funny? | 我说了什么好笑的话吗? |
[2:20:39] | Just “Borden, Borden, Borden”, when we all know that it’s Strauss. | 尽是“博登 博登 博登” 而我们都知道是施特劳斯 |
[2:20:44] | Lewis brought me to Princeton, Kitty. | 刘易斯带我来的普林斯顿 凯蒂 |
[2:20:47] | And then you humiliated him in front of Congress. | 然后你在国会面前羞辱了他 |
[2:20:49] | But more useful than a sandwich! | 但比三明治强! |
[2:20:55] | How’d I do? | 我表现如何? |
[2:20:57] | Maybe a little too well, Robert. | 似乎有点过了 罗伯特 |
[2:20:59] | That was six years ago. | 那是六年前的事了 |
[2:21:01] | You know, they’re truly vindictive, patient as saints. | 你知道 他们真的很记仇 像圣人一样有耐心 |
[2:21:04] | Strauss has been perfectly clear that he is neutral. | 施特劳斯已经非常清楚地表明他是中立的 |
[2:21:08] | Wake up! It is Strauss! | 醒醒吧! 是施特劳斯! |
[2:21:11] | It’s always been Strauss, and you know it! | 一直都是施特劳斯 你知道的! |
[2:21:14] | Why won’t you fight him? | 你为什么不跟他战斗? |
[2:21:19] | It wasn’t Nichols, or Hoover, or one of Truman’s guys. | 不是尼科尔斯也不是胡佛 也不是杜鲁门的人 |
[2:21:22] | It was you. | 是你 |
[2:21:24] | You gave the file to Borden. | 你把文件给了博登 |
[2:21:25] | You set him on Oppenheimer. | 你让他去举报奥本海默 |
[2:21:27] | -You convinced him… -Borden… | -你说服了他 -博登 |
[2:21:29] | didn’t take any convincing. | 不费吹灰之力 |
[2:21:32] | Take your time, use the entire file. | 慢慢来 把整个文件都用上 |
[2:21:34] | Write up your conclusions, send them to the FBI. | 写下你的结论 发给联邦调查局 |
[2:21:36] | The material’s obviously extensive, | 材料显然很广泛 |
[2:21:38] | but there’s nothing new here. | 但这里没什么新鲜的 |
[2:21:41] | Your conclusions will be. | 新鲜的是你的结论 |
[2:21:43] | And they’ll have to be answered. | 他们必须得给回复 |
[2:21:45] | Hoover passes them to McCarthy? | 胡佛把它们交给了麦卡锡? |
[2:21:47] | Oppenheimer’s too slippery for that self-promoting clown. | 对那个自吹自擂的小丑来说 奥本海默太狡猾了 |
[2:21:50] | I’ve talked it over with Hoover. | 我跟胡佛谈过了 |
[2:21:51] | He’ll hold McCarthy at bay while you do this with the AEC. | 他会牵制麦卡锡 而你去对付原子能委员会 |
[2:21:55] | -Trial? -No, no trial. | -庭审? -不 没有庭审 |
[2:21:57] | You can’t give Oppenheimer a platform. | 你不能给奥本海默一个平台 |
[2:22:00] | You can’t martyr him. | 绝不能让他成为烈士 |
[2:22:02] | We need a systematic destruction of Oppenheimer’s credibility, | 我们需要系统性地摧毁奥本海默的威信 |
[2:22:05] | so he can never again speak on matters of national security. | 这样他就再也不能谈论国家安全问题了 |
[2:22:10] | Then what? | 然后呢? |
[2:22:12] | A shabby little room. Far from the limelight. | 一个破旧的小房间 远离聚光灯 |
[2:22:21] | A simple bureaucratic procedure. His Q clearance. It’s up for renewal. | 一个简单的官僚程序 他的安全许可证就要续签了 |
[2:22:26] | You send your accusations to the FBI… | 你向联邦调查局提出指控…… |
[2:22:31] | Hoover sends them to the AEC. You’re forced to act. | 胡佛把他们送到原子能委员会 你被迫采取行动 |
[2:22:35] | You write up an indictment. | 你写一份起诉书 |
[2:22:37] | You tell Oppenheimer his security clearance is not being renewed. | 你告诉奥本海默 他的安全许可不会延期 |
[2:22:41] | But offer him the chance to appeal. | 但给他一个上诉的机会 |
[2:22:42] | As you can see, Robert, it’s not yet signed. | 如你所见 罗伯特 还没有签字 |
[2:22:45] | -May I keep this? -No. | -我可以保留这个吗? -不行 |
[2:22:47] | If you do decide to appeal, they’ll have to send you a copy. | 如果你决定上诉 他们会寄给你一份副本 |
[2:22:51] | When he appeals, and trust me, he will, I appoint a board. | 当他上诉的时候 相信我 他会的 我会任命一个委员会 |
[2:22:57] | They will, of course, have counsel. | 他们中当然会有律师 |
[2:23:00] | -Prosecutor? -In all but name. | -检察官? -除了名字 |
[2:23:01] | -Who? -Roger Robb. | -谁? -罗杰·罗博 |
[2:23:03] | Ouch. | 哎哟 |
[2:23:04] | Robb will have security clearance to examine Oppenheimer’s file. | 罗伯将获得安全许可 查阅奥本海默的档案 |
[2:23:08] | As will the Gray Board. Defense counsel will not. | 格雷委员会也可以 辩护律师则不行 |
[2:23:12] | A closed hearing. | 一次闭门听证会 |
[2:23:13] | The so-called interrogatory information in your indictment of me… | 你们在阅读我的起诉书中所谓的审讯信息时…… |
[2:23:17] | No audience, no reporters, no burden of proof. | 没有观众 没有记者 没有举证责任 |
[2:23:21] | No burden of proof? | 没有举证责任? |
[2:23:24] | We’re not convicting. | 我们不定罪 |
[2:23:27] | We’re just denying. | 我们只是否认 |
[2:23:34] | What is it you said? | 你说的是什么? |
[2:23:37] | This is just how the game is played. | 这就是政治的游戏规则 |
[2:23:41] | Well, forgive my naivete. | 好吧 原谅我的天真 |
[2:23:43] | Amateurs seek the sun, get eaten. | 业余者寻找阳光 被吞掉 |
[2:23:48] | Power stays in the shadows. | 权力只发生在阴影中 |
[2:23:52] | But, sir, you’re… you’re out of the shadows now. | 但是 先生 你……你现在已经走出阴影了 |
[2:23:55] | Yeah, that’s why this has to work. | 是啊 所以我们一定要成功 |
[2:23:57] | Well… | 好吧…… |
[2:24:00] | Teller’s testifying this morning. | 泰勒今天早上要出庭作证 |
[2:24:02] | That’ll help. And then… | 那会有帮助的 然后…… |
[2:24:04] | Hill is in the afternoon. | 希尔在下午 |
[2:24:05] | Hill is gonna help us too. | 希尔也会帮我们的 |
[2:24:10] | As you can see, Robert, it’s not yet signed. | 如你所见 罗伯特 还没有签字 |
[2:24:13] | -May I keep this? -No. | 我可以保留这个吗? 不行 |
[2:24:17] | If you do decide to appeal, then they’ll have to send you a copy. | 如果你决定上诉 他们会寄给你一份副本 |
[2:24:26] | Take my car and driver, I insist. | 你可以用我的车和司机 不必客气 |
[2:24:33] | I’ll have to consult my lawyers, Lewis. | 我得咨询我的律师 刘易斯 |
[2:24:35] | Of course. But don’t take too long. | 当然 但别太久 |
[2:24:38] | I can’t keep Nichols at bay. | 我无法阻止尼科尔斯 |
[2:24:46] | I’m sorry it’s come to this, Robert. | 抱歉事情变成这样 罗伯特 |
[2:24:48] | I think it’s wrong. | 我觉得这样不对 |
[2:25:03] | Nichols wants me to fight, so he can get it all on the record. | 尼科尔斯希望我反击 这样他就能把一切都记录下来 |
[2:25:06] | Strauss wants me to walk away. | 施特劳斯想让我离开 |
[2:25:08] | Strauss knows that you can’t do that. You’d be accepting the charges. | 施特劳斯知道你不会这么做 你一定会接受指控 |
[2:25:13] | You’ll lose your job. | 你会失去工作的 |
[2:25:15] | You will lose your reputation. We’ll lose our house. | 你会失去你的名誉 我们会失去我们的房子 |
[2:25:18] | Robert, we have to fight. | 罗伯特 我们必须战斗 |
[2:25:23] | As AEC counsel, I can’t represent you. | 作为原子能委员会的律师 我不能代表你 |
[2:25:25] | I’ll call Lloyd Garrison. | 我会给劳埃德·加里森打电话 |
[2:25:27] | Oh, he’s good. | 噢 他很厉害 |
[2:25:28] | The best, but I have to warn you. | 最好的 但我得警告你 |
[2:25:33] | This won’t be a fair fight. | 这不是一场公平的战斗 |
[2:25:35] | During your interview with Boris Pash in 1943, did you refer to microfilm? | 1943年你与鲍里斯·帕什谈话时提到过缩微胶卷吗? |
[2:25:40] | -No. -Tab 11, page one, paragraph three. | -没有 -标签11 第一页 第三段 |
[2:25:43] | You never said, “man of the consulate, expert in the use of microfilm”? | 你从没说过“领事馆的人 微缩胶卷的专家”? |
[2:25:46] | -I’m sorry, I’m sorry… -No. | -对不起 对不起…… -没有 |
[2:25:47] | I would like to know what document Mr. Robb is quoting from, | 我想知道罗博先生引用的是哪份文件 |
[2:25:50] | and if we might be furnished with a copy. | 是否可以向我们提供一份副本 |
[2:25:52] | The document is classified, Mr. Garrison. | 该文件属于机密 加里森先生 |
[2:25:54] | I think we should get back to firsthand information. | 我认为我们应该采用第一手资料 |
[2:25:56] | This is firsthand. | 这就是第一手资料 |
[2:25:57] | How so, Roger? | 怎么说 罗杰? |
[2:26:00] | There was a recording of the interview. | 有一段谈话的录音 |
[2:26:07] | You let my client sit here and potentially perjure himself, | 你让我的委托人坐在这里 并有可能作伪证 |
[2:26:10] | and all this time, you had a recording? | 一直以来 你都有录音? |
[2:26:12] | Nobody told your client to misrepresent his former answers. | 没人让你的委托人歪曲他之前的答案 |
[2:26:15] | Misrepresent? It was 12 years ago! | 歪曲? 那是12年前的事了! |
[2:26:17] | Can we hear this recording? | 我们可以听一下这段录音吗? |
[2:26:19] | You don’t have the clearance, Mr. Garrison. | 你没有权限 加里森先生 |
[2:26:20] | But you’re reading it into the record! | 但你把它读到了记录里! |
[2:26:22] | Please, please. Is this proceeding interested in entrapment or in truth? | 拜托 拜托 这个诉讼程序是为了诱捕还是探寻真相? |
[2:26:27] | If it’s truth, where’s the disclosure? Where’s the witness list? | 如果是真相 证据呢? 证人名单呢? |
[2:26:31] | Mr. Garrison, this isn’t a trial, as you are well aware. | 加里森先生 如你所知 这不是审判 |
[2:26:34] | Evidentiary rules do not apply. We are dealing with national security. | 证据规则不适用 我们在处理国家安全问题 |
[2:26:38] | Yes, sir, with all due respect, | 是的 长官 恕我直言 |
[2:26:39] | I fail to see how national security prevents the prosecution from | 我不明白国家安全如何能阻止检方 |
[2:26:43] | providing us with a list of witnesses! -Perhaps we are in need | 给我们提供一份证人名单! -也许我们确实需要 |
[2:26:45] | of a brief recess. -Gentlemen. You have my words. | 暂时休庭 -先生们 我向你们保证 |
[2:26:48] | If you say they’re from a transcript, then I’ll accept it. | 如果你说它们来自抄本 那我就接受 |
[2:26:51] | I’ve already explained I made up a cock-and-bull story. | 我已经解释过了 我编了一个荒唐可笑的故事 |
[2:26:54] | And why would anyone make up such an elaborate story? | 为什么会有人编造这么复杂的故事呢? |
[2:26:57] | Because I was an idiot. | 因为我是个傻瓜 |
[2:26:59] | Why lie? | 为什么要撒谎? |
[2:27:00] | Well, clearly with the intention of not revealing who the intermediary was. | 嗯 显然是为了不暴露中间人的身份 |
[2:27:05] | Your friend, Haakon Chevalier, the communist. | 你的朋友 哈康·舍瓦利耶 是共产党员 |
[2:27:07] | Is he still your friend? | 他还是你的朋友吗? |
[2:27:09] | Yes. | 是的 |
[2:27:14] | Dr. Rabi, thank you for coming. | 拉比博士 谢谢你能来 |
[2:27:16] | You know who else the prosecution has called? | 你知道控方还传唤了谁吗? |
[2:27:18] | Teller, obviously. They’ve asked Lawrence. | 显然是泰勒 他们问过劳伦斯了 |
[2:27:22] | -What did he say? -He wasn’t going to help them, | -他说什么? -他不会帮他们的 |
[2:27:25] | but… -But? | 但是…… -但是? |
[2:27:27] | Strauss told him that you and Ruth Tolman had been having an affair for years. | 施特劳斯告诉他 你和鲁丝·托尔曼多年来一直有染 |
[2:27:32] | The whole time you lived with them in Pasadena. | 你和他们一起住在帕萨迪纳的那段时间 |
[2:27:35] | He convinced Lawrence that Richard died of a broken heart. | 他让劳伦斯相信理查德死于伤心欲绝 |
[2:27:38] | -That’s absurd. -What part? | -这太荒谬了 -哪部分? |
[2:27:40] | A broken heart. Richard never found out. | 伤心欲绝 理查德从未发现 |
[2:27:44] | Is Lawrence gonna testify? | 劳伦斯会作证吗? |
[2:27:46] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[2:27:48] | Dr. Rabi, what governmental positions do you currently hold? | 拉比博士 你目前在政府担任什么职务? |
[2:27:52] | I am the chairman of the general advisory committee | 我是原子能委员会顾问委员会主席 |
[2:27:55] | to the AEC, succeeding Dr. Oppenheimer. | 接替奥本海默博士 |
[2:27:58] | And how long have you known Dr. Oppenheimer? | 你认识奥本海默博士多久了? |
[2:28:01] | Since 1928. I… I know him quite well. | 从1928年开始 我……我很了解他 |
[2:28:05] | Well enough to speak to the bearing of his loyalty and character? | 足以说明他的忠诚和品格了吗? |
[2:28:09] | Dr. Oppenheimer is a man of upstanding character. | 奥本海默博士是一个品格正直的人 |
[2:28:13] | And he is loyal to the United States, to his friends, | 他忠于美国 忠于他的朋友 |
[2:28:17] | to the institutions of which he is part. | 忠于他所属的机构 |
[2:28:21] | Eat. | 吃吧 |
[2:28:42] | Who was that? | 那是谁? |
[2:28:43] | Nothing to worry about. | 不用担心 |
[2:28:48] | After the Russian A-bomb test, | 俄国原子弹试验后 |
[2:28:49] | did Dr. Lawrence come to see you about the hydrogen bomb? | 劳伦斯博士来找你是为了谈氢弹的事吗? |
[2:28:52] | You’d be better off asking him. | 你最好去问他 |
[2:28:54] | Well, I fully intend to. | 嗯 我正打算这么做 |
[2:28:56] | Would you say that Dr. Oppenheimer was unalterably opposed to the H-bomb? | 你是否认为奥本海默博士坚决反对氢弹? |
[2:29:00] | No, he, he thought that a fusion program | 不 他 他认为核聚变项目 |
[2:29:03] | would come at the expense of our awfully good fission program. | 将以牺牲我们非常好的核裂变项目为代价 |
[2:29:06] | But that proved not to be the case. | 但事实证明并非如此 |
[2:29:08] | In the event, both could be done. | 在这种情况下 两者都可以做到 |
[2:29:10] | Suppose that this board did not feel satisfied | 假设委员会不满意 |
[2:29:13] | that in his testimony here Dr. Oppenheimer had been wholly truthful, | 奥本海默博士在他的证词中是完全属实的 |
[2:29:17] | what would you say whether or not he should be cleared? | 你认为是否应该给他颁发安全许可? |
[2:29:19] | Why go through all this against a man | 为什么要这样对待一个男人 |
[2:29:21] | who has accomplished what Dr. Oppenheimer has? | 一个像奥本海默博士那样取得巨大成就的人 |
[2:29:23] | Look at his record. | 看看他的记录 |
[2:29:25] | We have an A-bomb, and a whole series of it. | 我们有一颗原子弹 和一系列的原子弹 |
[2:29:27] | We have a whole series of super bombs. What more do you want? | 我们还有一系列的氢弹 你还想要什么? |
[2:29:31] | Mermaids? | 美人鱼吗? |
[2:29:33] | But I’ve known Secretary Strauss for many years. | 但我认识施特劳斯部长很多年 |
[2:29:36] | And I feel it a necessity to express the warm support | 我觉得有必要肯定刘易斯 |
[2:29:39] | for science and scientists Lewis has shown. | 对科学和科学家的热情支持 |
[2:29:42] | We’ll break now. | 我们现在开始 |
[2:29:44] | -Unless there’s any immediate business. -Senator, I’d like to once again request | -除非有什么紧急事务 -参议员 我想再次请求 |
[2:29:48] | that we’re furnished with a list of witnesses. | 我们已经准备好了一份证人的名单 |
[2:29:51] | And I will remind the nominee | 我会提醒被提名者 |
[2:29:52] | that we don’t always have that information in advance. | 我们并不总是事先知道这些信息 |
[2:29:55] | We do know that Dr. Hill will be here after lunch. | 我们知道希尔博士午饭后会来 |
[2:29:58] | Mr. Chairman, our next scheduled witness, Dr. Lawrence, | 主席先生 下一位证人 劳伦斯博士 |
[2:30:01] | has apparently come down with colitis. | 患有结肠炎来不了 |
[2:30:07] | So we’ll proceed with William Borden instead. | 所以我们还是开始威廉·博登吧 |
[2:30:10] | Mr. Borden, welcome. Please take a seat. | 博登先生 欢迎 请坐 |
[2:30:15] | Mr. Borden, | 博登先生 |
[2:30:17] | during your investigation into Dr. Oppenheimer, | 在你调查奥本海默博士期间 |
[2:30:20] | did you reach certain conclusions? | 你得出什么结论了吗? |
[2:30:22] | -I did. -And did there come a time | -有的 -你是否曾在信中 |
[2:30:24] | when you expressed those conclusions in a letter to Mr. J. Edgar Hoover, | 向联邦调查局的胡佛先生 |
[2:30:27] | of the Federal Bureau of Investigation? -That is correct. | 表达过这些结论 -没错 |
[2:30:30] | Prior to the writing of the letter, did you discuss the writing of the letter | 在写这封信之前 你是否与原子能委员会的人 |
[2:30:33] | with anybody attached to the Atomic Energy Commission? | 讨论过这封信的写法? |
[2:30:35] | -I did not. -Excellent. | -没有 -很好 |
[2:30:36] | -Do you have a copy of the letter? -I have one in front of me. | -你有那封信的复本吗? -我面前有一份 |
[2:30:38] | Would you please be so kind as to read it, sir? | 请您读一读 先生? |
[2:30:42] | “Dear Mr. Hoover, the purpose of this letter | “亲爱的胡佛先生 我写这封信的目的 |
[2:30:44] | -“is to state…” -I’m sorry, I’m sorry, if I could have… | -“是表达……” -对不起 对不起 如果我可以…… |
[2:30:47] | What is the purpose of the delay? He’s simply going to read the letter. | 中断的目的是什么? 他只是要读这封信 |
[2:30:51] | Mr. Chairman, this is the first I’ve seen of this letter. | 主席先生 这是我第一次看到这封信 |
[2:30:54] | And I see statements here, at least one, | 我看到这里至少有一份声明 |
[2:30:57] | of a kind that I don’t think anyone would like to see go into the record. | 我认为没有人愿意看到这种事情被记录在案 |
[2:30:59] | These are accusations that have not previously been made, | 这些都是以前从未有过的指控 |
[2:31:02] | that are not part of the indictment from Nichols. | 不在尼科拉斯的起诉书中 |
[2:31:04] | Accusations of a kind that I don’t think belong here. | 我觉得这种指控不该出现在这里 |
[2:31:07] | The witness wrote this letter on his own initiative, | 证人主动写了这封信 |
[2:31:09] | laying out evidence that has already been before the board. | 列出已经摆在委员会面前的证据 |
[2:31:11] | His conclusions are valid testimony, | 他的结论是有效的证词 |
[2:31:13] | just like the positive conclusions of friends of Dr. Oppenheimer. | 就像奥本海默博士的朋友得出的正面结论一样 |
[2:31:16] | It cuts both ways. | 这是双向的 |
[2:31:18] | How long has counsel been in possession of this letter? | 律师收到这封信多久了? |
[2:31:20] | I don’t think I should be subject to cross-examination by you, Mr. Garrison. | 我不认为我应该被你交叉询问 加里森先生 |
[2:31:24] | Mr. Garrison, given that we on the board have all read the letter, | 加里森先生 鉴于我们委员会成员都读过这封信 |
[2:31:27] | wouldn’t it be better to have it in the record? | 记录在案不是更好吗? |
[2:31:30] | Let’s proceed. | 让我们继续 |
[2:31:33] | “Dear Mr. Hoover, | “亲爱的胡佛先生 |
[2:31:35] | “the purpose of this letter is to state my opinion, | “我写这封信的目的是表达我的观点 |
[2:31:38] | “based upon years of study of the available classified evidence, | 基于对现有机密证据的多年研究 |
[2:31:42] | “that, more probably than not, | “很有可能 |
[2:31:44] | “J. Robert Oppenheimer is an agent of the Soviet Union. | J·罗伯特·奥本海默是苏联特工 |
[2:31:49] | “The following conclusions are justified. | 下面的结论是合理的 |
[2:31:52] | “One, between 1929 and 1942, more probably than not, | 第一 从1929年到1942年之间 很有可能 |
[2:31:56] | “J. Robert Oppenheimer was a sufficiently hardened communist | “J·罗伯特·奥本海默是一个死硬派共产主义者 |
[2:32:00] | “that he volunteered information to the Soviets. | 他自愿向苏联提供情报 |
[2:32:03] | “Two, more probably than not, | ”第二 极有可能 |
[2:32:05] | “he has since been functioning as an espionage agent. | “从那以后 他就开始充当间谍 |
[2:32:09] | “Three. | “第三 |
[2:32:10] | “More probably than not, he has since acted under a Soviet directive | “更有可能的是 他此后一直按照苏联的指令行事 |
[2:32:14] | “in influencing United States military policy.” | ”影响美国的军事政策” |
[2:32:17] | -I’m sorry, Robert. -“Atomic energy, intelligence and…” | -对不起 罗伯特 -“原子能 情报和……” |
[2:32:20] | Is anyone ever going to tell the truth about what’s happening here? | 难道没人能告诉这里发生的事情的真相 |
[2:32:25] | We will now hear from Dr. David Hill. | 我们现在听取大卫·希尔博士的证词 |
[2:32:38] | Dr. Hill, would you care to make a statement? | 希尔博士 你愿意发表声明吗? |
[2:32:43] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[2:32:44] | I’ve been asked to testify about Lewis Strauss, | 我被要求为刘易斯·施特劳斯作证 |
[2:32:48] | a man who has given years of service in high positions of government, | 一个在政府高层任职多年的人 |
[2:32:53] | and who is known to be earnest, hard-working, and intelligent. | 他以认真、勤奋、聪明而著称 |
[2:32:59] | The views I have to express are my own, | 我要表达的是我自己的观点 |
[2:33:02] | but I believe that much I have to say will help to indicate why | 但我相信我所说的一切将有助于说明为什么 |
[2:33:06] | most of the scientists in this country would prefer to see Mr. Strauss | 这个国家的大多数科学家更愿意看到施特劳斯先生 |
[2:33:11] | completely out of government. | 完全退出政府 |
[2:33:15] | You’re referring to the hostility of certain scientists, | 你指的是某些科学家的敌意 |
[2:33:19] | directed toward Mr. Strauss, because of his commitment to security, | 指向施特劳斯先生 因为他致力于公共安全 |
[2:33:23] | as demonstrated in the Oppenheimer affair? | 就像奥本海默事件所表明的那样? |
[2:33:28] | No. | 不 |
[2:33:30] | Because of the personal vindictiveness he demonstrated against Dr. Oppenheimer. | 是因为他对奥本海默博士的报复心理 |
[2:33:37] | Order! Order! | 肃静! 肃静! |
[2:33:40] | It appears to most scientists around this country | 在这个国家的大多数科学家看来 |
[2:33:44] | that Robert Oppenheimer is now being pilloried, | 罗伯特·奥本海默现在正在被嘲笑 |
[2:33:47] | and put through an ordeal, because he expressed his honest opinions. | 因为他诚实地表达了自己的观点 所以经历了一场严峻的磨难 |
[2:33:52] | Dr. Bush, I thought I was performing a service to my country | 布什博士 我以为我是为国家服务 |
[2:33:55] | when hearing this case. -No board, in this country, | 当我听取这个案子时 -在这个国家 没有委员会 |
[2:33:59] | should sit in judgment of a man because he expressed his strong opinions. | 因为一个人表达了自己强烈的意见 所以应该对他进行审判 |
[2:34:03] | If you want to try that case, you should try me. | 如果你想审查那个案子 你们应该审查我 |
[2:34:07] | Excuse me, gentlemen, if I’ve… become stirred. | 对不起 先生们 可能我……过于激动 |
[2:34:11] | But I am. | 但我是这么想的 |
[2:34:12] | Dr. Hill, we’ve already heard that Mr. Strauss did not bring the charges, | 希尔博士 我们听说施特劳斯先生并没有提出指控 |
[2:34:16] | or participate in the hearings against Dr. Oppenheimer. | 或者参加对奥本海默博士的听证会 |
[2:34:19] | The Oppenheimer matter was… | 奥本海默事件是…… |
[2:34:22] | initiated, and carried through, largely through the animus of Lewis Strauss. | 主要由刘易斯·施特劳斯策划、发起并操纵的 |
[2:34:28] | Oppenheimer made mincemeat out of Strauss’s position | 奥本海默把施特劳斯推下了神坛 |
[2:34:31] | on the shipments of isotopes to Norway, | 在向挪威出口同位素的问题上 |
[2:34:33] | and Strauss never forgave him this public humiliation. | 施特劳斯永远不会原谅他的公众羞辱 |
[2:34:37] | Another controversy between them centered around their differences in judgment | 他们之间的另一个争论围绕着他们在判断上的分歧 |
[2:34:41] | on how the H-bomb would contribute to national security. | 关于氢弹对国家安全的作用 |
[2:34:44] | Strauss turned to the personnel security system in order to | 施特劳斯借口人员安全系统 以便 |
[2:34:47] | destroy Oppenheimer’s effectiveness, | 破坏奥本海默的成就 |
[2:34:50] | and Strauss was able to find a few ambitious men | 施特劳斯找来了几个野心勃勃的人 |
[2:34:53] | who also disagreed with Oppenheimer’s positions and envied him | 他们也不同意奥本海默的立场 并且嫉妒 |
[2:34:57] | his prestige in government circles. | 他在政界的威望 |
[2:34:59] | I’ve always assumed, and still assume, that he is loyal to the United States. | 我一直认为 而且现在仍然认为他忠于美国 |
[2:35:04] | I believe this, and I shall believe it, | 我相信 我也会一直相信 |
[2:35:06] | until I see very conclusive proof to the opposite. | 除非我看到相反的确凿证据 |
[2:35:08] | Do you or do you not believe that Dr. Oppenheimer is a security risk? | 你是否相信奥本海默博士存在安全风险? |
[2:35:16] | In a great number of cases, I have seen Dr. Oppenheimer act in a way | 在很多情况下 我看到奥本海默博士的行为 |
[2:35:19] | which was, to me, exceedingly hard to understand. | 对我来说 非常难以理解 |
[2:35:23] | I thoroughly disagreed with him in numerous issues, | 我在许多问题上完全不同意他的观点 |
[2:35:25] | and his actions frankly appeared to me confused and complicated. | 坦白地说 他的行为让我感到迷惑不解 |
[2:35:29] | To this extent, I feel I want to see the vital interests of this country | 从这个意义上讲 我希望看到这个国家的切身利益 |
[2:35:34] | in hands which I understand better, and therefore trust more. | 掌握在我更了解、更信任的人手中 |
[2:35:39] | -Thank you, Doctor. -Thank you. | -谢谢你 博士 -谢谢 |
[2:35:44] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[2:35:48] | You shook his fucking hand!? | 你他妈的跟他握手了? |
[2:35:51] | Oh, I would have spit in his face. | 噢 我会朝他脸上吐口水 |
[2:35:53] | I’m not sure the Board would have appreciated that. | 我不确定委员会是否喜欢这样 |
[2:35:55] | Is it not gentlemanly enough for you? | 难道你还不够绅士吗? |
[2:35:57] | Well, I think you’re all being too goddamn gentlemanly. | 好吧 我觉得你们都太他妈绅士了 |
[2:36:00] | Gray must see what Robb is doing. Why doesn’t he just shut him down? | 格雷委员会一定知道罗博在做什么 他们为什么不干脆把他关起来? |
[2:36:04] | And you, shaking Teller’s hand. | 还有你 居然和泰勒握手 |
[2:36:06] | You need to stop playing the martyr. | 你别再扮演烈士了 |
[2:36:10] | Under the current AEC guidelines, would you clear Dr. Oppenheimer today? | 根据原子能委员会目前的指导方针 你今天会给奥本海默博士颁发安全许可吗? |
[2:36:21] | Under my interpretation of the Atomic Energy Act, | 根据我对《原子能法案》的理解 |
[2:36:26] | which did not exist when I hired Dr. Oppenheimer in 1942, | 我在1942年聘请奥本海默博士时 该法案还不存在 |
[2:36:32] | I would not clear him today if I were on the commission. | 如果我是委员会成员 我今天不会给他颁发安全许可 |
[2:36:37] | Good. Thank you, General. That is all. | 很好 谢谢你 将军 就这样 |
[2:36:39] | But I don’t think I’d clear any of those guys. | 但我不认为我会颁给他们中任何一个人 |
[2:36:41] | That’s all. | 就这样 |
[2:36:46] | Dr. Oppenheimer had no responsibility in the selection | 奥本海默博士在选拔中不承担任何责任 |
[2:36:48] | or the clearance of Klaus Fuchs, did he? | 包括克劳斯·福克斯的安全许可 对吧? |
[2:36:50] | No. None at all. | 是 完全没有 |
[2:36:52] | And you wouldn’t want to leave this board with any suggestion today that | 你今天并不想在离开时留给委员会一个印象 |
[2:36:55] | you’re here questioning his basic loyalty to the United States | 你在这里质疑他参与洛斯阿拉莫斯的行动期间 |
[2:36:58] | in the operation of Los Alamos? | 对美国的忠诚? |
[2:37:00] | By no means. I hope I didn’t lead anyone to believe otherwise for an instant. | 绝对不是 我希望我没有让任何人产生误解 |
[2:37:05] | Thank you, General. | 谢谢你 将军 |
[2:37:24] | -Okay. We shouldn’t keep them waiting. -She’ll be here. | -好吧 我们不能让他们等太久 -她会来的 |
[2:37:28] | Do you even want her here? | 你真心希望她作证吗? |
[2:37:30] | Only a fool or an adolescent presumes | 只有傻瓜或青少年才会自以为 |
[2:37:32] | to know someone else’s relationship, and you’re neither, Lloyd. | 知道别人的关系 而你两者都不是 劳埃德 |
[2:37:38] | Kitty and I are grown-ups. | 凯蒂和我都是成年人 |
[2:37:42] | We’ve walked through fire together. | 我们一起走过风风雨雨 |
[2:37:45] | She’ll do fine. | 她一定行的 |
[2:37:47] | Would you describe your views on communism as pro, anti, neutral? | 你对共产主义的看法是支持 反对 还是中立? |
[2:37:51] | Very strongly against. | 强烈反对 |
[2:37:52] | I’ve had nothing to do with communism in, since… | 我和共产主义没有任何关系 自从…… |
[2:37:55] | since 1936. Since… | 自从1936年 自从…… |
[2:37:58] | Since before I met Robert. | 从我认识罗伯特之前 |
[2:38:02] | That’s all. | 就这样 |
[2:38:04] | The record demonstrates that Oppenheimer was not interrogated | 记录显示奥本海默没有受到为格雷委员会工作的 |
[2:38:07] | by impartial and disinterested counsel for the Gray Board. | 公正无私的律师的审问 |
[2:38:10] | He was interrogated by a prosecutor who used | 他受到一位具有律师背景的检察官的审问 |
[2:38:12] | all the tricks of a rather ingenious legal background. | 后者施展浑身解数 |
[2:38:15] | You are charging now that the Gray Board permitted a prosecution. | 你现在是在指控格雷委员会允许起诉 |
[2:38:20] | If I were on the Gray Board, | 如果我站在格雷委员会面前 |
[2:38:22] | I would have protested against the tactics | 我会抗议这种策略 |
[2:38:24] | of the man who served in fact as the prosecuting counsel. | 有人实际上担任了检察官的职务 |
[2:38:27] | A man appointed not by the Board, | 一个不是委员会任命的人 |
[2:38:30] | but by Lewis Strauss. | 而是刘易斯·施特劳斯任命的 |
[2:38:34] | Who was this? | 这人是谁? |
[2:38:37] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[2:38:39] | Who was this? | 他是谁? |
[2:38:40] | Roger Robb. | 罗杰・罗博 |
[2:38:42] | Mrs. Oppenheimer. | 奥本海默夫人 |
[2:38:48] | Did you have a Communist Party membership card? | 你有共产党员证吗? |
[2:38:52] | I’m… I’m not sure. | 我……我不确定 |
[2:38:54] | Not sure? | 不确定? |
[2:38:58] | Well… | 嗯…… |
[2:39:03] | Well? | 什么? |
[2:39:12] | I mean, presumably, the act of joining the party | 我是说 大概 要加入共产党 |
[2:39:15] | required sending some money and receiving a card, no? | 需要寄一些钱和收到一张卡片 对吗? |
[2:39:29] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[2:39:31] | Yes. | 是的 |
[2:39:34] | It’s just, it was all so very long ago, Mr. Robb, wasn’t it? | 只是 那都是很久以前的事了 罗博先生 不是吗? |
[2:39:38] | -Not really. -Long enough to have forgotten. | -说实话 -久到我都忘了 |
[2:39:39] | -Did you return the card, or rip it up? -The card whose existence I’ve forgotten? | -你是把卡退了还是撕了? -那张我已经忘记存在的卡? |
[2:39:42] | -Your Communist Party membership card? -Haven’t the slightest idea. | -你的共产党员证? -一点印象也没有 |
[2:39:49] | Can a distinction be made between Soviet communism and communism? | 苏联共产主义和共产主义能区分开来吗? |
[2:39:53] | Well, in the days when I was a member, | 嗯 当我还是党员的时候 |
[2:39:54] | -I thought they were definitely two things. -Oh? | -我认为他们绝对是两回事 -哦? |
[2:39:56] | I thought that the Communist Party of the United States | 我认为美国共产党 |
[2:39:59] | was concerned with our domestic problems. I now no longer believe this. | 关心我们的国内问题 当然我现在不再相信这一点 |
[2:40:03] | I believe the whole thing’s linked together and spread all over the world, | 我相信整个事情联系在一起而且遍布全世界 |
[2:40:05] | and I have believed this since I left the party 16 years ago. | 自从16年前我离开共产党 我就一直相信这一点 |
[2:40:09] | -But… -17 years ago. My mistake. | -但…… -17年前 我错了 |
[2:40:12] | -But you… -Sorry, 18. | -但是你…… -对不起 18 |
[2:40:15] | 18 years ago. | 18年前 |
[2:40:18] | Are you familiar with the fact your husband was making contributions | 您是否知道您的丈夫早在1942年 |
[2:40:20] | to the Spanish Civil War as late as 1942? | 就一直支持西班牙内战? |
[2:40:23] | I knew that Robert gave money from time to time. | 我知道罗伯特有时会捐钱 |
[2:40:25] | Did you know this money was going into Communist Party channels? | 你知道这些钱流入了共产党的渠道吗? |
[2:40:28] | -Don’t you mean through? -Pardon? | -你是说通过吗? -什么? |
[2:40:30] | I think you mean through Communist Party channels, don’t you? | 我想你的意思是通过共产党的渠道 不是吗? |
[2:40:33] | -Yes. -Yes? | -是的 -是的? |
[2:40:34] | -Yes. | -是的 -是的 -Yes. |
[2:40:36] | Then would it be fair to say that this meant that by 1942, | 那么公平地说 这是否意味着直到1942年 |
[2:40:40] | your husband had not stopped having anything to do with the Communist Party? | 你丈夫并没有断绝和共产党的任何关系? |
[2:40:44] | You don’t have to answer that yes or no, you can answer that any way you wish. | 你不必回答是或不是 你可以随心所欲地回答 |
[2:40:47] | I know that, thank you. It’s your question. | 我知道 谢谢 这是你的问题 |
[2:40:50] | It’s not properly phrased. | 措辞不当 |
[2:40:52] | -Do you understand what I’m getting at? -I do. | -你明白我的意思吗? -我明白 |
[2:40:53] | -Then why don’t you answer it that way? -Because I don’t like your phrase, | -那你为什么不正面回答呢? -因为我不喜欢你的用词 |
[2:40:56] | “having anything to do with the Communist Party,” | “和共产党的任何关系” |
[2:40:58] | because Robert never had anything to do with the Communist Party as such. | 因为罗伯特和共产党没有任何关系 |
[2:41:02] | I know he gave money to Spanish refugees. | 我知道他给西班牙难民捐钱 |
[2:41:04] | I know he took an intellectual interest in communist ideas. | 我知道他对共产主义思想感兴趣 |
[2:41:07] | Are there two types of communists? | 有两种共产主义者吗? |
[2:41:09] | Intellectual communists, and your plain old regular commie? | 知识分子共产主义者 还有你们这些普通的老共产主义者? |
[2:41:13] | Well, I couldn’t answer that one. | 这个我回答不上 |
[2:41:16] | I couldn’t either. | 我也不能 |
[2:41:24] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[2:41:26] | Robert, you can’t win this thing. | 罗伯特 你赢不了的 |
[2:41:27] | It’s a kangaroo court with a predetermined outcome. | 这是一个预先设定好结果的袋鼠法庭 |
[2:41:29] | Why put yourself through more of it? | 为什么要让自己经历这么多? |
[2:41:32] | I have my reasons. | 我有我的理由 |
[2:41:35] | Alright. | 好吧 |
[2:41:36] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[2:41:42] | He has a point. | 他说的有道理 |
[2:41:45] | -I’m not sure you understand, Albert. -No? | -我不确定你是否明白 阿尔伯特 -不? |
[2:41:48] | I left my country, never to return. | 我离开了我的国家 再也没有回去 |
[2:41:52] | You served your country well. | 你为国家贡献那么大 |
[2:41:54] | If this is the reward she offers you, then… | 如果这就是她给你的奖励 那么…… |
[2:41:58] | perhaps you should turn your back on her. | 也许你应该背弃她 |
[2:42:01] | Damn it, I happen to love this country. | 该死的是我偏偏爱着这个国家 |
[2:42:04] | Then tell them to go to hell. | 那就让他们见鬼去吧 |
[2:42:06] | Interestingly enough, this is no longer a confirmation hearing. | 有趣的是 这不再是一个确认听证会 |
[2:42:10] | It’s now a trial… | 现在是一场…… |
[2:42:12] | about a trial! | 关于审判的审判! |
[2:42:14] | For god’s sakes! | 看在上帝份上! |
[2:42:15] | It’s not good he’s telling everyone you initiated the hearings. | 他告诉所有人是你发起的听证会可不是什么好事 |
[2:42:18] | He can’t prove a goddamn thing. | 他什么玩意也证明不了 |
[2:42:20] | He certainly can’t prove that I gave the file to Borden. | 他当然无法证明我把文件交给了博登 |
[2:42:24] | We’re not in court, sir. There’s no burden of proof. | 我们不是在法庭上 先生 没有举证责任 |
[2:42:27] | Right, they’re not convicting. | 对 他们没有定罪 |
[2:42:29] | They’re just denying. | 他们只是在否认 |
[2:42:31] | Why would Hill come here to tear me down? What’s his angle? | 希尔为什么要来这里拆我台 他有什么目的? |
[2:42:34] | Do people need a reason to do the right thing? | 人们做正确的事需要理由吗? |
[2:42:37] | -As he sees it. -I told you. | -正如他所看到的 -我告诉过你 |
[2:42:39] | Oppenheimer’s been poisoning the scientists against me | 奥本海默一直在蛊惑科学家反对我 |
[2:42:41] | right from that first meeting. | 从第一次见面开始 |
[2:42:43] | I don’t know what Oppenheimer said to him that day, | 我不知道奥本海默那天对他说了什么 |
[2:42:46] | but Einstein wouldn’t even meet my eye. | 搞得爱因斯坦甚至都不愿意正眼瞧我 |
[2:42:51] | Oppenheimer knows how to manipulate his own. | 奥本海默知道如何操纵自己的所有 |
[2:42:53] | At Los Alamos, | 在洛斯阿拉莫斯 |
[2:42:55] | he preyed on the naivete of scientists | 他利用了天真的科学家 |
[2:42:57] | who thought they get a say in how we use their work. | 他们认为他们对我们如何使用他们的发明创造拥有发言权 |
[2:43:00] | They’ll never think he was that naive himself. | 他们永远不会意识到自己有多么天真 |
[2:43:02] | Doctor, during your work on the hydrogen bomb, | 博士 你在研发氢弹的过程中 |
[2:43:06] | were you… deterred by any moral qualms? | 有没有……因为道德上的怀疑而退缩? |
[2:43:09] | Yes, of course. | 有的 当然 |
[2:43:11] | But you still got on with your work, didn’t you? | 但你仍然继续你的工作 不是吗? |
[2:43:13] | Yes, because this was work of exploration, | 是的 因为这是一项探索性的工作 |
[2:43:15] | it was not the preparation of a weapon. | 不是为了研发武器 |
[2:43:17] | You mean it was more of an academic excursion? | 你是说这更像是一次学术探险? |
[2:43:19] | No, it is not an academic thing, whether you can build a hydrogen bomb. | 不 能否制造出氢弹 这不是一个学术问题 |
[2:43:22] | It’s a matter of life and death. | 而是生死问题 |
[2:43:24] | By 1942, you were actively pushing the development | 到了1942年 你积极推动 |
[2:43:26] | of the hydrogen bomb, weren’t you? | 氢弹的研发 对吧? |
[2:43:27] | Pushing is not the right word. | “推动”这个词不太恰当 |
[2:43:28] | Supporting it and working on it, yes. | 支持并致力于此 是的 |
[2:43:30] | So when did these moral qualms become so strong | 那么 什么时候这些道德焦虑变得如此强烈 |
[2:43:33] | that you actively opposed the development of the hydrogen bomb? | 令你积极反对发展氢弹? |
[2:43:36] | When it was suggested that it be the policy of the United States | 当有人建议这是美国的国策时 |
[2:43:39] | to make these things at all costs, | 不惜一切代价制造这些东西 |
[2:43:40] | without regard to the balance between these weapons | 无视这些武器之间的平衡 |
[2:43:43] | and atomic weapons as part of our arsenal. | 把原子武器作为我们军火库的一部分 |
[2:43:47] | What do moral qualms have to do with that? | 这跟道德焦虑有什么关系? |
[2:43:50] | -What do moral qualms have to do with it? -Yes. | -这跟道德焦虑有什么关系? -是的 |
[2:43:52] | Oppenheimer wanted to own the atomic bomb. | 奥本海默想拥有原子弹 |
[2:43:55] | He wanted to be The Man Who Moved the Earth. | 他想成为那个撬动地球的人 |
[2:43:56] | He talks about putting the nuclear genie back in the bottle. | 他说要把核魔鬼放回瓶子里 |
[2:44:01] | Well, I’m here to tell you that I know, | 好吧 我来告诉你 我知道 |
[2:44:03] | J. Robert Oppenheimer, if he could do it all over, he’d do it all the same. | J·罗伯特·奥本海默 如果他能重新来过 他还是会这么做 |
[2:44:08] | You know he’s never once said that he regrets Hiroshima? | 你知道他从来没有说过他对广岛事件感到后悔吗? |
[2:44:12] | He’d do it all over. Why? | 他会再做一遍 为什么? |
[2:44:14] | Because it made him the most important man who ever lived. | 因为这让他成为有史以来最重要的人 |
[2:44:20] | We freely used the atomic bomb. | 我们自由地使用原子弹 |
[2:44:22] | In fact, Doctor, you assisted in selecting the target | 事实上 博士 你协助选择了目标 |
[2:44:25] | to drop the atomic bomb on Japan, didn’t you? | 向日本投下原子弹 不是吗? |
[2:44:27] | -Yes… -Well then, you knew, did you not, | – 是的…… – 那么 你说 你不知道 |
[2:44:29] | that by dropping that atomic bomb on the target you selected, | 把原子弹投向你选定的目标 |
[2:44:31] | that thousands of civilians would be killed or injured. Is that correct? | 成千上万的平民会被杀害或受伤 对吗? |
[2:44:34] | Yes, not as many as turned out. | 是的 没想到那么多 |
[2:44:36] | Oh. Then how many were killed or injured? | 噢 那么有多少人死伤呢? |
[2:44:39] | -70,000. -70,000, both Hiroshima and… | -7万 -7万 广岛和…… |
[2:44:42] | -110,000 to both. -On the day of each bombing? | -两者合计11万 -在两颗核弹爆炸当天? |
[2:44:46] | -Yes. | -是的 -是的 -Yes. |
[2:44:47] | And in the weeks and years that followed? | 接下来的几周和几年呢? |
[2:44:49] | It has been put at somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000. | 估计在5万到10万之间 |
[2:44:52] | 220,000 dead, at least. | 至少有22万人死亡 |
[2:44:54] | -Yes. -Any moral scruples about that? | -是的 -对此有道德上的怀疑吗? |
[2:44:58] | Terrible ones. | 糟糕透顶 |
[2:44:59] | But yet you testified in here that the bombing of Hiroshima was very successful. | 但是你在这里作证说广岛原子弹爆炸非常成功 |
[2:45:03] | -Technically successful. -Oh! Technically it was very successful. | -技术上是成功的 -噢 技术上来说非常成功 |
[2:45:06] | And it is also alleged to have helped to end the war. | 而且据说它还加快了战争的结束 |
[2:45:08] | Would you have been supportive of the dropping of a hydrogen bomb on Hiroshima? | 你会支持在广岛投下氢弹吗? |
[2:45:12] | That would make no sense at all. | 这根本说不通 |
[2:45:13] | -Why? -The target is too small. | -为什么? -目标太小 |
[2:45:16] | Well, supposing there had been a target in Japan | 好吧 假设在日本有个目标 |
[2:45:18] | big enough for a thermonuclear weapon, | 大到足以需要动用热核武器 |
[2:45:20] | would you have been opposed to the dropping of it? | 你会反对投下氢弹吗? |
[2:45:21] | This was not a problem with which I was confronted. | 我从来没遇上这样的问题 |
[2:45:23] | Well, I’m confronting you with it now, sir. | 好吧 我现在就来和你对质 先生 |
[2:45:25] | It was all part of his plan. | 这都是他计划的一部分 |
[2:45:26] | He wanted the glorious, insincere guilt of the self-important | 他想要的是自大狂那种光荣而虚伪的罪恶感 |
[2:45:30] | to wear like a fucking crown and say, | 戴着他妈的皇冠然后说 |
[2:45:33] | “No, we cannot go down this road,” even as he knew we’d have to. | “不 我们不能走这条路” 即使他知道我们必须这么做 |
[2:45:38] | Would you have been opposed to the dropping of a thermonuclear weapon | 你会出于道德上的顾虑 |
[2:45:41] | on Japan because of moral scruples? -Yes, I believe I would, sir. | 而反对投下氢弹吗? -是的 我相信我会的 先生 |
[2:45:44] | Did you oppose the dropping of an atomic bomb on Hiroshima | 你是否反对在广岛投下原子弹 |
[2:45:46] | because of moral scruples? | 因为道德上的顾虑? |
[2:45:47] | -We set forth our… -No, you, you, you, you! | -我们开始…… -不 你 你 你 你! |
[2:45:50] | -I’m asking you… -I set… | 我在问你…… 我设了…… |
[2:45:51] | -You, you, you! -I set forth our arguments | -你 你 你! -我陈述了我们的观点 |
[2:45:53] | against dropping it, but I did not endorse them. | 反对投下 但我没有赞成 |
[2:45:55] | You mean after working night and day for three years building the bomb, | 你是说在日以继夜地制造了三年的炸弹之后 |
[2:45:58] | you then argued against the use of it? | 你竟然反对使用它? |
[2:46:01] | I was asked by the Secretary of War what the views of scientists were. | 战争部长问我 科学家的观点是什么 |
[2:46:04] | I gave them the views against and the views for. | 我给了他们反对和赞成的意见 |
[2:46:07] | You supported the dropping of the atom bomb | 你支持投下原子弹 |
[2:46:09] | on Japan, didn’t you? -What do you mean… | 在日本 不是吗? -你什么意思…… |
[2:46:10] | -You supported it… -What do you mean, support? | -你支持它…… -支持?你什么意思 |
[2:46:12] | Well, you helped pick the target, didn’t you? | 你帮助选择了目标 不是吗? |
[2:46:13] | I did my job. I was not in a policy-making position at Los Alamos. | 我做了我的工作 我在洛斯阿拉莫斯不是做决策的 |
[2:46:17] | I would have done anything I was asked to do. | 要我做什么我都会去做 |
[2:46:19] | Well, then, you would have built the H-bomb too, wouldn’t you? | 那么 你也会制造氢弹 不是吗? |
[2:46:21] | -But I couldn’t… -I didn’t ask you that, Doctor! | -但是我不能…… -我没问你这个 博士! |
[2:46:24] | And the GAC report, which you co-authored after the Soviet atomic test said: | 你在苏联核试验后参与撰写的总结评审报告中说: |
[2:46:28] | “A super bomb should never be built!” | “氢弹永远不应该制造出来!” |
[2:46:31] | What we meant, what I meant… | 我们的意思是 我的意思是…… |
[2:46:33] | -What you, who? -Look, what I meant… | -什么 你 谁? -看 我的意思是…… |
[2:46:34] | Who? | 谁? |
[2:46:36] | Well, wouldn’t the Russians do anything to increase their strength? | 那么 俄罗斯人难道不会为增强实力而不择手段吗? |
[2:46:40] | If we did it, they would have to do it! | 如果我们这么做了 他们也必须这么做! |
[2:46:42] | Our efforts would only fuel their efforts, | 我们的努力只会助长他们的努力 |
[2:46:44] | just as it had with the atomic bomb! | 就像原子弹一样! |
[2:46:46] | Just as it had with the atomic bomb, exactly! | 就像原子弹一样!说得好 |
[2:46:50] | No moral scruples in 1945, plenty in 1949. | 1945年没有道德顾忌 1949年却顾忌重重 |
[2:46:59] | Dr. Oppenheimer… | 奥本海默博士…… |
[2:47:02] | when did your strong moral convictions develop with respect to the hydrogen bomb? | 你什么时候对氢弹产生强烈的道德信念的? |
[2:47:14] | When it became clear to me | 当我逐渐明白 |
[2:47:18] | that we would tend to use any weapon we had. | 我们会倾向于使用任何我们拥有的武器 |
[2:47:24] | J. Robert Oppenheimer the martyr, I gave him exactly what he wanted. | J·罗伯特·奥本海默 我给了他想要的 |
[2:47:29] | To be remembered for Trinity, | 因为“三位一体”而名垂青史 |
[2:47:31] | not Hiroshima! | 不是广岛! |
[2:47:34] | Not Nagasaki! | 不是长崎! |
[2:47:39] | He should be thanking me. | 他应该感谢我 |
[2:47:41] | Well, he’s not. | 可 他没有 |
[2:47:46] | Do we still have enough votes? | 我们还有足够的票吗? |
[2:47:48] | Or is the crowning moment of my career | 还是说我职业生涯的巅峰时刻 |
[2:47:50] | about to become the most public humiliation of my life? | 即将成为我一生中最公开的羞辱? |
[2:47:54] | Full Senate’s about to vote. | 全体参议员要投票了 |
[2:47:56] | You’ll scrape through. | 你会顺利过关的 |
[2:47:57] | Great, then gather the fucking press. | 太棒了 那就召集该死的媒体 |
[2:47:59] | Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer, this board, | 罗伯特·奥本海默博士 本委员会 |
[2:48:02] | having heard testimony from you | 听取了你的证词 |
[2:48:04] | and many of your current and former colleagues, | 以及你的许多现任和前任同事的证据 |
[2:48:07] | has come to the unanimous conclusion that you are a loyal citizen. | 我们一致得出结论 你是一个忠诚的公民 |
[2:48:14] | However… | 但是…… |
[2:48:16] | In the light of your continuing associations, | 鉴于你们一直有联系 |
[2:48:19] | and disregard for the security apparatus of this country, | 无视这个国家的安全机构 |
[2:48:23] | together with your somewhat disturbing conduct | 再加上你在氢弹项目上 |
[2:48:26] | on the hydrogen bomb program, | 令人不安的行为 |
[2:48:28] | and the regrettable lack of candor | 以及你对委员会的某些回答 |
[2:48:30] | in certain of your responses to this board, | 令人遗憾的缺乏坦诚 |
[2:48:33] | we have voted, two-to-one, | 我们以二比一的投票结果 |
[2:48:36] | to deny the renewal of your security clearance. | 拒绝延长你的安全许可 |
[2:48:39] | A full written opinion, with a dissent from Mr. Evans, | 一份完整的意见书 包括埃文斯先生的异议 |
[2:48:42] | will be issued to the AEC in the coming days. | 会在未来几天内递交原子能委员会 |
[2:48:45] | That is all. | 就这样 |
[2:48:57] | Robert. | 罗伯特 |
[2:48:59] | Robert. | 罗伯特 |
[2:49:04] | Don’t… | 别…… |
[2:49:08] | Don’t take in the sheets. | 别把床单收起来 |
[2:49:15] | Two minutes. Two minutes! | 两分钟 两分钟! |
[2:49:17] | You’ll get your shot! | 会有时间拍照! |
[2:49:22] | Is it official? | 结果出来了吗? |
[2:49:26] | Well, there were a couple of unexpected holdouts. | 嗯 有几个出乎意料的反对者 |
[2:49:35] | I’m denied. Yeah? | 我被否决了 是吗? |
[2:49:37] | -I’m afraid so, sir. -Alright. | -恐怕是这样 先生 -好吧 |
[2:49:47] | Who were the holdouts? | 谁不肯合作? |
[2:49:48] | Um, there were three. | 呃 有三个人 |
[2:49:51] | Led by the junior senator from Massachusetts. | 由马萨诸塞州的资深参议员领导 |
[2:49:54] | Young guy trying to make a name for himself, | 一个初出茅庐的年轻人 |
[2:49:55] | didn’t like what you did to Oppenheimer. | 不喜欢你对奥本海默做的事 |
[2:49:58] | What’s his name? | 他叫什么名字? |
[2:50:00] | Uh, Kennedy. | 呃 肯尼迪 |
[2:50:02] | John F. Kennedy. | 约翰·F·肯尼迪 |
[2:50:07] | Kitty? | 凯蒂? |
[2:50:14] | Did you think that if you let them tar and feather you, | 你是不是以为 如果你让他们给你涂上柏油和羽毛 |
[2:50:18] | then the world would forgive you? | 那么全世界将会原谅你? |
[2:50:24] | It won’t. | 不会的 |
[2:50:27] | We’ll see. | 再说吧 |
[2:50:43] | You told me I’d be okay. | 你说过我会没事的 |
[2:50:45] | Yeah, well, I didn’t have all the facts, did I? | 是的 好吧 我没有掌握所有的事实 不是吗? |
[2:50:48] | Here’s a fact. | 事实是 |
[2:50:49] | President Eisenhower pinned the Medal of Freedom on my chest last year, | 去年艾森豪威尔总统把自由勋章别在我胸前 |
[2:50:53] | because I’ve always done what’s right for this country. | 因为我一直在为这个国家做正确的事 |
[2:50:55] | They don’t want me in the cabinet room? Well, that’s… that’s fine. | 他们不想让我进内阁? 嗯 没……没关系 |
[2:51:00] | Maybe they should just invite Oppenheimer instead. | 也许他们应该邀请奥本海默 |
[2:51:02] | Maybe they will. | 也许他们会的 |
[2:51:04] | I told you. He turned the scientists against me, | 我告诉过你 他让科学家们反对我 |
[2:51:07] | one by one, starting with Einstein. | 一个接一个 从爱因斯坦开始 |
[2:51:09] | I told you about that. Einstein. Einstein by the pond. | 我跟你说过的 爱因斯坦 爱因斯坦在池塘边 |
[2:51:12] | You did, but you know, sir, since nobody… | 是的 但是你知道 先生 因为没有人…… |
[2:51:15] | really knows what they said to each other that day, | 真的知道他们那天互相说了什么 |
[2:51:17] | is it possible they didn’t talk about you at all? | 有没有可能他们根本没谈论过你? |
[2:51:21] | Is it possible they spoke about something, uh… | 有没有可能他们谈到了什么 呃…… |
[2:51:24] | more important? | 更重要的? |
[2:51:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[2:51:42] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[2:51:47] | The man of the moment. | 风云人物 |
[2:51:52] | You once held a reception for me in Berkeley. | 你曾经在伯克利为我举办过一场招待会 |
[2:51:57] | -You gave me an award, hmm? -Yes. | -你颁给我一个奖 记得吗? -记得 |
[2:52:00] | You all thought that I had lost the ability to understand what I’d started. | 你们都以为我已经无法理解自己开创的学科 |
[2:52:05] | So… | 所以…… |
[2:52:07] | The award really wasn’t for me, it was for all of you, hmm? | 那个奖不是给我的 是给你们的对不对 |
[2:52:13] | Now it’s your turn | 现在轮到你了 |
[2:52:15] | to deal with the consequences of your achievement. | 你不得不面对你的成就引发的后果 |
[2:52:21] | And one day, when they’ve punished you enough, | 等哪天 他们觉得你的惩罚够了 |
[2:52:27] | they’ll serve you salmon and potato salad. | 他们就会为你送上鲑鱼和土豆沙拉 |
[2:52:35] | Make speeches. | 让你发表演讲 |
[2:52:37] | Give you a medal. | 给你一枚勋章 |
[2:52:41] | Hello, Frank. | 你好 弗兰克 |
[2:52:43] | You’re happy, I’m happy. | 你开心 我就开心 |
[2:52:51] | Pat you on the back, tell you all is forgiven. | 拍拍你的背 告诉你一切已经既往不咎 |
[2:52:55] | Just remember… | 记住了…… |
[2:52:58] | it won’t be for you. | 他们那样做不是为了你 |
[2:53:05] | It’ll be for them. | 而是为了他们自己 |
[2:53:20] | Albert… | 阿尔伯特…… |
[2:53:24] | when I came to you with those calculations, | 当我带着计算结果来找你时 |
[2:53:27] | we thought we might start a chain reaction | 我们认为我们可能会引发链式反应 |
[2:53:29] | that would destroy the entire world. | 从而毀灭整个世界 |
[2:53:34] | I remember it well. What of it? | 我记得很清楚 那又怎样? |
[2:53:41] | I believe we did. | 我们毁灭了世界 |
[2:54:31] | 【 奥 本 海 默 】 | |
[2:54:37] | 编剧/导演: 克里斯托弗·诺兰 |