时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:48] | I’m sorry if that felt strange. | 要是感觉很奇怪的话实在抱歉 |
[00:52] | I’ve lost a lot of weight. | 我最近瘦了好多 |
[00:54] | It felt perfect, Emily. | 我感觉很完美 艾米莉 |
[00:58] | You’re perfect, Emily. | 你很完美 艾米莉 |
[01:02] | I thought I was never gonna see you. | 我以为我再也见不到你了 |
[01:07] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[01:10] | It’s just taken me a little while to realize that… | 只是我花了些时间才意识到… |
[01:16] | …I have very little control over things. | …很多事情都不在我的控制范围内 |
[01:21] | I’ve probably had my “lasts” of a lot of stuff. | 我可能很多事情都是”最后一次”了 |
[01:24] | Last Christmas. | 最后一个圣诞节 |
[01:26] | Last camping trip. | 最后一次野营 |
[01:30] | And then I realized I wasn’t done with you. | 然后我意识到我和你还没有结束 |
[01:35] | Don’t talk that way. | 别这么说 |
[01:42] | I think we need to get back. | 我得带你回去了 |
[01:45] | They’ll be looking for you. | 他们会到处找你的 |
[01:51] | Can you get me my purse? | 你能把我的包给我吗 |
[02:03] | Come on. We really need to get you back. | 快点 我们真的得回去了 |
[02:05] | We’re not going back. | 我们不回去了 |
[02:09] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[02:10] | They want to operate on me tomorrow. | 他们想明天给我做手术 |
[02:14] | Take out part of my brain. | 拿出我大脑的一部分 |
[02:16] | Where the cancer is. | 癌症所在的地方 |
[02:17] | Wait a second. | 等等 |
[02:19] | Th-they can take out the cancer? | 他 他们可以把癌症拿出来吗 |
[02:21] | They think, maybe. | 他们觉得或许可以吧 |
[02:23] | Unfortunately, to do it, they’re pretty sure | 不幸的是 这么做的同时 他们很确定 |
[02:25] | they’re gonna have to take out my personality. | 我的个性也会被拿走 |
[02:28] | My memories. | 我的记忆 |
[02:29] | My dreams. | 我的梦想 |
[02:31] | But it could save your life, right? | 但这能救你的命 不是吗 |
[02:34] | What’s the difference if I’m not me? | 如果我不是我了还有什么区别吗 |
[02:39] | What is that? | 那是什么 |
[02:41] | It’s nothing. | 没什么 |
[02:43] | Emily, no. This is crazy. | 艾米莉 不 这太疯狂了 |
[02:44] | – You don’t want to do this. – If you need to leave, | – 别这么做 – 你要是需要离开的话 |
[02:46] | go ahead, I understand. | 走吧 我能理解 |
[02:47] | Emily. S-Seriously, | 艾米莉 我是认真的 |
[02:49] | I-I think I should call somebody. | 我 我觉得我得打电话叫人来 |
[02:50] | Emily, no. | 艾米莉 不 |
[02:51] | Don’t. | 不要 |
[02:58] | Don’t leave, okay? Oh, my God. | 不要离开 好吗 天啊 |
[02:59] | Okay, just stop. Just stop now. | 好了 停下 立刻 |
[03:01] | Adam, I need you to do it. | 亚当 我需要你来动手 |
[03:02] | I need you to help me. | 我需要你的帮助 |
[03:05] | No, Emily. I-I can’t. | 不 艾米莉 我 我做不到 |
[03:07] | If you love me… | 如果你爱我 |
[03:09] | Don’t make me do this. | 别逼我这么做 |
[03:11] | Don’t make me go on. | 别逼我继续活下去了 |
[03:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[03:44] | Oh, my God. Emily. | 天啊 艾米莉 |
[03:51] | Help. | 帮我 |
[03:52] | M-My girlfriend. I-I think I killed her. | 我 我女友 我 我觉得我把她杀了 |
[03:55] | I need an ambulance. | 我需要救护车 |
[03:57] | I’ll never understand why court is open from 9:00 to 5:00. | 我一直不明白为什么法庭早九点晚五 |
[04:00] | You can buy a sex toy in this city at 3:30 in the morning, | 你半夜三点都能买到性玩具 |
[04:02] | but you can’t file a brief after 5:00 in the afternoon. | 但是你下午五点之后就不能递交摘要了 |
[04:05] | I would have loved to have done this for you, Bull, | 我真希望我能帮得上你 布尔 |
[04:07] | but the judge insisted. | 但法官坚持让你来 |
[04:08] | You wrote the reports, so you have to submit them. | 你写的报告 你自己上交 |
[04:10] | Not enough hours in the day. | 白天时间根本不够 |
[04:12] | Can’t return all my calls and e-mails. | 没法回复所有的电话和邮件 |
[04:14] | Clients are mad if I’m not in court with them every day | 客户因为我没法一天到晚在法庭上 |
[04:15] | holding their hands. | 牵着他们的手陪伴他们很生气 |
[04:17] | Marissa’s on me about cutting expenses and increasing profits. | 米丽莎整天缠着我要减少开支增加利润 |
[04:19] | Oh, man. I’m hoping to have you out of here in 15 minutes. | 天啊 简直希望十五分钟内我们就能完事走人 |
[04:22] | Hey, got a couple of housekeeping matters | 有些收尾工作 |
[04:24] | to take up with the judge. | 要和法官商量 |
[04:25] | I hope you boys brought something to read. | 你们最好带书来了 |
[04:27] | She’s got a full house; it’s gonna be a long wait. | 这可是人满为患了 会等很久的 |
[04:29] | I am denying you bail and remanding you | 我将驳回你的保释机会并且命令你 |
[04:31] | to Rikers Island until your court date. | 在开庭之前待在雷克岛监狱 |
[04:34] | Next case. | 下一个 |
[04:36] | The court calls Adam Harris in the matter | 法庭因公诉亚当 哈里斯 |
[04:38] | of the People v Adam Harris, charged with murder | 二级谋杀一案 |
[04:40] | in the second degree. | 传召亚当·哈里斯 |
[04:40] | Text Marissa; have her rearrange | 给米丽莎发短信 重新安排我的 |
[04:41] | – my day. – Okay. | – 日程 – 好 |
[04:44] | Would you please stick to the document as written? | 请按照写好的文件好吗 |
[04:46] | Adam. | 亚当 |
[04:52] | He’s just a kid. | 他就是个孩子 |
[04:54] | Yeah. I wonder what he did? | 他能干了什么呢 |
[04:55] | In the matter of Adam Harris | 关于亚当 哈里斯 |
[04:57] | who’s charged with the death of Emily Conner | 被起诉通过致命性注射谋杀艾米莉·康纳 |
[04:59] | by lethal injection. | 一案 |
[05:00] | How do you plead? | 你准备如何辩护 |
[05:02] | Uh, my client pleads “not guilty,” Your Honor. | 我的客户请求无罪辩护 法官大人 |
[05:03] | Your Honor, the young man already admitted | 法官大人 这位年轻人已经 |
[05:05] | to the EMTs on the scene that he injected the drugs | 在现场向急救人员承认是他注射 |
[05:08] | – that killed Ms. Conner. – Your Honor, | – 杀死康纳小姐的药物了 – 法官大人 |
[05:09] | he had no attorney present | 他承认这些事时候 |
[05:10] | when he said those things. | 没有律师在场 |
[05:11] | Which is why the district attorney | 这就是为什么地区检察官 |
[05:12] | is recommending no bail at this time. | 建议驳回保释机会的原因 |
[05:13] | Shut the DA down and ask for bail. | 压下地区检察官然后请求保释 |
[05:14] | He’s 18 years old, Your Honor. His girlfriend just died. | 他只有十八岁 法官大人 他的女友刚刚去世 |
[05:17] | Obviously. That’s why we’re here. He killed her. | 所以我们现在才在这里 他杀了她 |
[05:20] | Shut the DA down. Ask for bail. | 压下检察官 请求保释 |
[05:21] | He’s a good student, a good kid. | 他是个好学生 好孩子 |
[05:22] | A star athlete at his high school. | 高中的明星运动员 |
[05:25] | Already accepted at Fordham University for the fall. | 已经被福特汉姆大学录取秋天就要入学了 |
[05:27] | Are you the boy’s attorney or his publicist? | 你是他的律师还是他的公关啊 |
[05:30] | His attorney. | 他的律师 |
[05:32] | And I, and I’m doing my best. | 而且我 我在尽全力了 |
[05:34] | You okay? | 你还好吗 |
[05:36] | You look like you’re about to have a stroke. | 你看着像是快中风了 |
[05:38] | Well, I’m his, uh, father’s cousin. | 我是他的 他父亲的表弟 |
[05:40] | I’m a tax attorney. | 我是税务律师 |
[05:42] | Dear God. | 天啊 |
[05:43] | Obviously, everything happened very quickly, | 很明显 事情发生的太突然 |
[05:45] | so, uh, there was, | 有些 |
[05:46] | wasn’t time to pursue, uh, | 没有足够的时间 |
[05:48] | other options, in terms of… | 进行多方选择 因为… |
[05:49] | Uh, Your Honor, we’d like to ask for a time-out. | 法官大人 我们申请休庭 |
[05:52] | A what? | 什么 |
[05:53] | A time-out? Wait a second. | 休庭 等等 |
[05:55] | Uh, who are you? And who’s he? | 你是谁 他又是谁 |
[05:58] | Uh, he is the defendant’s new counsel. | 他是被告的新律师 |
[06:01] | At least for the time being, if you’re smart. | 至少现在是的 你要是聪明的话 |
[06:04] | And I’m the guy who put him up to it. | 我是他的上司 |
[06:05] | What are you doing? | 你干什么呢 |
[06:07] | Trying to get your boy out on bail, | 试图帮你孩子保释 |
[06:09] | which, trust me, is what you want. | 相信我 我能帮你 |
[06:10] | He’s not built for prison. | 他不该进监狱 |
[06:12] | We don’t have any money. | 我们没钱 |
[06:14] | Well, one step at a time. | 一步一步来 |
[06:17] | Your Honor, Ms. District Attorney, | 法官大人 检察官大人 |
[06:18] | I apologize for the disruption, | 对不起打断了你们 |
[06:21] | but Mr… | 但… |
[06:24] | Harris. | 哈里斯先生 |
[06:26] | Mr. Harris has had a sudden change of counsel. | 哈里斯先生临时决定更换律师 |
[06:29] | May I approach? Discuss bail? | 我可以上前讨论保释吗 |
[06:38] | This won’t take long. | 不会花太久的 |
[06:40] | Just want to make sure the bail bond company doesn’t screw them. | 只是想确保保释金不会耍他们 |
[06:43] | And I’m gonna want to give them the name | 而且我想给他们介绍几个 |
[06:45] | of a couple good lawyers. | 好律师 |
[06:47] | Any thoughts? | 有想法吗 |
[06:49] | You’re thinking about the ones that’ll work for free, right? | 你是在想愿意免费辩护的都有谁吧 |
[06:54] | All right, everything looks good. | 好 一切看起来都好 |
[06:56] | I’m not gonna lose my house, am I? | 我不会失去我的房子吧 |
[06:58] | Not unless your son | 除非你儿子 |
[06:59] | doesn’t show up for court. No. | 不出庭 不然不会的 |
[07:01] | More importantly, your son is here, home. | 更重要的是 你儿子在这儿 在家了 |
[07:03] | Where he is safe and we can, uh, work on his defense. | 很安全并且我们可以 研究辩护的事 |
[07:06] | Help him find a lawyer. | 帮他找律师 |
[07:08] | Any chance you two…? | 你们两个能不能… |
[07:09] | You know, it’s not really what we do. | 这其实不是我们的工作 |
[07:12] | We’re not really a law firm. | 我们不是法律事务所 |
[07:14] | I don’t know. You guys were pretty good | 我不知道 你们今天在法庭上看起来 |
[07:16] | – in court this morning. – Yeah. | – 表现不错啊 – 是 |
[07:17] | Please, please, call me back. | 拜托 拜托 回我电话 |
[07:18] | I really think we need to talk. | 我们需要谈一谈 |
[07:22] | Well, that was a bad idea. | 这真是个馊主意 |
[07:24] | – What’s that? – I was trying to catch Dawn again. | – 怎么了 – 我想试着联系上道恩 |
[07:26] | If she would just get on the phone with me, | 如果她愿意和我通电话 |
[07:29] | I think we could talk this through, mother to mother. | 我想母亲们之间可以来场对话 |
[07:31] | The victim’s mother? | 受害者的母亲吗 |
[07:32] | Yeah. Mrs. Harris, you can’t call her again. | 哈里斯夫人 你不能再打给她了 |
[07:34] | In fact, I don’t want you calling anyone | 没我允许 |
[07:35] | without running it by me first. | 你最好不要打电话给任何人 |
[07:37] | So you mean you are gonna help us? | 你的意思是要帮我们吗 |
[07:41] | No. I mean until we help you… find… someone. | 不 我的意思是直到帮你们…找到…律师 |
[07:46] | Is Adam here? | 亚当在这儿吗 |
[07:48] | I’d love to talk to Adam. | 我想和他聊两句 |
[08:00] | Can I give you a couple tips? | 我可以给你点建议吗 |
[08:03] | About basketball? | 关于篮球吗 |
[08:05] | No. Not about basketball. | 不 不是关于篮球 |
[08:07] | About where you are and what you’re doing. | 关于你在哪儿 你要做什么 |
[08:11] | First off, my name is Dr. Bull. | 首先 我是布尔博士 |
[08:13] | And a pretty good icebreaker between us | 你可以这样跟我说缓解一下气氛 |
[08:16] | would be, “Hey, Dr. Bull. | “嗨 布尔博士 |
[08:18] | Thanks for keeping me out of prison today.” | 谢谢你今天保释我” |
[08:27] | So are you my new lawyer? | 你是我新的代表律师吗 |
[08:28] | No. I’m nobody’s lawyer. | 不 我不是任何人的律师 |
[08:31] | I’m not a lawyer. | 我不是个律师 |
[08:32] | I’m just a guy who’s trying to help you. | 我只是来帮你的人 |
[08:34] | So what about that other guy? Is he my lawyer? | 那另一个呢 他是我律师吗 |
[08:38] | No. We can’t. I can’t. | 不 我们都不是 |
[08:40] | Look. I’m not here to talk about me. | 我来这儿不是介绍我自己的 |
[08:42] | I’m here to talk about you. | 我是来了解你的 |
[08:44] | You want to tell me what happened? | 你愿意告诉我都发生了什么吗 |
[08:56] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[08:59] | Let’s talk about Emily. | 让我们谈谈艾米莉吧 |
[09:01] | She must’ve really hated you. | 她肯定很讨厌你 |
[09:07] | What are you talking about? | 你在瞎说什么啊 |
[09:09] | Well, look at the predicament she put you in. | 那你看看她现在让你陷入什么境地了 |
[09:11] | Is that what people think? That she did this to me? | 大家都这么想吗 认为是她害得我吗 |
[09:14] | What are people supposed to think? | 那你要大家怎么想 |
[09:16] | It’s either that or you killed her. | 要么是她害了你 要么就是你杀了她 |
[09:18] | No. | 不 |
[09:20] | She didn’t know it was gonna happen this way. | 她不知道会这样 |
[09:23] | She didn’t plan on me pushing the plunger. | 她也不是故意让我推下注射器的 |
[09:27] | She didn’t even know I was gonna be in the room. | 她甚至不知道我会出现在病房 |
[09:30] | She… actually tried to get me to leave. | 她… 曾试图让我走 |
[09:34] | So you didn’t get her the fentanyl? | 所以你没给她注射芬太尼 |
[09:36] | Was that the stuff she injected? | 你说的就是她注射的东西吗 |
[09:40] | The whole suicide part, that was a surprise to me. | 整个自杀过程让我很震惊 |
[09:43] | She asked me to help her | 她求我帮她 |
[09:45] | sneak out of the hospital and have some fun. | 溜出医院 找点乐子 |
[09:49] | She was going crazy in there. | 她在那儿闷得快疯了 |
[09:50] | How did that make you feel? | 那时你在想什么 |
[09:52] | I was so happy. | 我很开心 |
[09:56] | I hadn’t heard from her in months. | 我几个月没有她消息 |
[09:59] | I’d been texting her and e-mailing her, | 我给她发短信 发邮件 |
[10:02] | but she didn’t want to see me. | 但她都不想见我 |
[10:09] | Right after she got sick, I saw her one more time. | 她生病后 我才再一次见到了她 |
[10:13] | We took a ride upstate. | 我们温存了一会儿 |
[10:15] | But then she just… | 但接下来她就… |
[10:17] | shut me off. | 把我推开了 |
[10:21] | It was like we were never a couple. | 好像我们从来都不是一对 |
[10:24] | It was like… | 就好像… |
[10:31] | Adam, get in here, will ya? | 亚当 进来吧 好吗 |
[10:33] | I’m getting pneumonia just looking at ya. | 我看着都觉得要得肺炎了 |
[10:39] | Adam. I need you to get in here with me. | 亚当 你现在得进来 |
[10:43] | Adam, I’m trying to help you here. Get in the garage with me. | 亚当 我在试着帮你 进车库来 |
[10:47] | I don’t have to listen to you. You’re not my lawyer. | 我没必要听你的 你不是我的律师 |
[10:50] | – Adam? – There he is. | – 是亚当 – 他在那儿 |
[10:52] | Adam! Adam! | 亚当 亚当 |
[10:53] | Hey, Adam, can we ask you some questions? | 亚当 我们能问你几个问题吗 |
[10:55] | – Maybe. – Adam. | – 可以 – 亚当 |
[10:57] | I’m gonna talk | 我要和他们说清楚 |
[10:58] | to these guys so they can get it straight about Emily. | 这样他们就能正面了解艾米莉 |
[11:01] | You shouldn’t talk to anybody, not without a lawyer. | 没有律师在场 你不能回答任何人的问题 |
[11:03] | I don’t know what to tell you. | 我不知道要怎么跟你说 |
[11:06] | I don’t have one of those. | 我没有律师 |
[11:09] | Adam, we want to talk about Emily. | 亚当 我们想了解一下艾米莉 |
[11:11] | Adam, can we ask you a few questions? | 亚当 能问你几个问题吗 |
[11:12] | Adam! | 亚当 |
[11:13] | – Adam, did you kill Emily? – Hey. | – 亚当 是你杀艾米莉吗 – 嘿 |
[11:14] | Sorry, folks. Uh, my client | 抱歉 各位 我的当事人 |
[11:16] | has nothing to say at this time. | 没什么要说的 |
[11:18] | Wait a second. You’re this kid’s lawyer? | 等等 你是这孩子的律师吗 |
[11:20] | Yes. My name’s Dr. Jason Bull, | 是的 我是杰森·布尔博士 |
[11:24] | and, uh, I’m part of the legal team defending… Adam… | 是亚当… 法律团队的一员 |
[11:31] | – It’s Harris. – … Harris. | – 哈里斯 – 哈里斯 |
[11:59] | When was this posted? | 这是什么时候发布的 |
[12:01] | A few hours before she died. | 在她死前的几个小时 |
[12:31] | I don’t get it. | 我不懂了 |
[12:32] | She posted this video, but she doesn’t leave a suicide note? | 她发了这个视频 却没有留下遗书 |
[12:35] | This is her suicide note. | 这就是她的遗书 |
[12:37] | She’s telling you everything you need to know. | 她已经说了所有想说的 |
[12:41] | She loved this boy. | 她爱这个男孩 |
[12:43] | She loved life. | 她热爱生活 |
[12:45] | It’s so sad. | 真令人悲伤 |
[12:46] | What exactly did she have? | 她得的是什么病 |
[12:48] | Stage four glioblastoma. | 恶性胶质瘤晚期 |
[12:51] | It’s brain cancer. No known cure. | 是脑肿瘤 没得治 |
[12:52] | She was scheduled for surgery. | 她之后有场手术 |
[12:54] | They were gonna remove part of her frontal lobe. | 要切除她的大脑额叶 |
[12:58] | How much time would it have given her? | 这样她还能活几年 |
[13:00] | Two years, tops… | 顶多 两年… |
[13:02] | which is why her parents insisted that she go through | 所以她父母坚持 |
[13:05] | with it. Cable. | 让她参加这个手术 凯博 |
[13:08] | This is our client, Adam Harris. | 这是我们的当事人 亚当 哈里斯 |
[13:09] | High school senior, basketball player. | 高中毕业 是一名篮球球员 |
[13:11] | Accepted to Fordham University in the fall. | 今年秋季被福特汉姆大学录取 |
[13:13] | His father works at the power plant. | 他的父亲在发电厂工作 |
[13:15] | Never missed a basketball game. | 从不错过儿子的一场篮球赛 |
[13:17] | His parents put their life savings | 他的父母用毕生积蓄 |
[13:18] | into a college fund for their son, | 给他们儿子存了个大学基金 |
[13:20] | and that money is now gone. | 现在钱都花完了 |
[13:22] | That and their house are securing his bail. | 除此还压了房子来保释他 |
[13:25] | Emily’s parents, Nathan and Dawn Conner. | 艾米莉的父母 纳森和道恩·康纳 |
[13:28] | Dad’s a veterinarian, Mom’s a CPA. | 爸爸是兽医 妈妈是会计 |
[13:30] | When Emily got sick, | 艾米莉得病的时候 |
[13:31] | Dawn quit her job to become a full-time caregiver. | 道恩辞了工作 全职照顾女儿 |
[13:35] | Never accepted her daughter’s diagnosis. | 她接受不了她女儿的诊断结果 |
[13:37] | Never gave up hope for a miracle, which… | 一直相信会有奇迹发生 |
[13:40] | I totally get. | 这点我非常理解 |
[13:41] | Trick is going to be finding a jury | 我们要做的是找到一个陪审团 |
[13:43] | who can put themselves in Adam’s shoes. | 可以设身处地为亚当着想 |
[13:45] | We need to make them feel the way he felt in that moment. | 得让他们感同身受 |
[13:48] | Does it really matter what he felt? | 他什么感觉真的很重要吗 |
[13:51] | That kid knew what he was doing | 那孩子很清楚 |
[13:53] | with that needle, | 要拿针筒做什么 |
[13:54] | and he went through with it anyway. | 最后他还是这么做了 |
[13:56] | The way I read the law, that is murder, | 就我学的法律 这就是谋杀 |
[13:58] | and he’s guilty. | 他是有罪的 |
[14:01] | Benny, the law is there to protect the people, | 本尼 法律是用来保护人们的 |
[14:03] | not the other way around. | 而不是起反作用 |
[14:05] | And remember, Emily called Adam. | 你要记住 是艾米莉要亚当这么做的 |
[14:08] | They hadn’t spoken in months, and it was her idea | 他们几个月没有联系 |
[14:10] | to run away from the hospital. She paid | 溜出医院是她的主意 |
[14:12] | for the hotel, and according to Adam, | 也是她开的房 据亚当描述 |
[14:14] | the drugs were in her purse. | 那药是从她包里拿出来的 |
[14:16] | He didn’t even know | 在她坦白想要自杀前 |
[14:16] | she had them until she told him | 亚当都不知道 |
[14:19] | that she wanted to kill herself. | 她带了药 |
[14:22] | Emily orchestrated the entire day, | 直到针打进她胳膊之前 |
[14:25] | right up until the moment that needle was in her arm. | 艾米莉已经安排好了一切 |
[14:28] | Who pushed the plunger is beside the point. | 谁推的针筒没那么重要了 |
[14:31] | The intent was hers, and hers alone. | 这个主意是她自己想出来的 |
[14:36] | And intent is what | 而这个主意 |
[14:37] | the law demands for a finding of murder. | 就是要找的谋杀证据 |
[14:40] | That is our narrative. | 这就是我们的陈述 |
[14:43] | And that is how we’re gonna get this jury | 我们要做的是找到这样的陪审团 |
[14:45] | to rule for our client. | 来裁决我们的当事人 |
[14:52] | Hey, you got a sec? | 嘿 你有时间吗 |
[15:06] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[15:08] | I was… | 我之前… |
[15:10] | I was out of line out there. | 我刚刚有点过了 |
[15:12] | Okay, the thing is… | 问题是… |
[15:14] | Oh. Sorry. Didn’t mean to interrupt. | 抱歉 无意打扰 |
[15:16] | No. Stay. Unless… | 没事 你不用避嫌 除非… |
[15:18] | No, no. | 没事 |
[15:20] | I don’t mind if she hears this. | 我不介意她也听听 |
[15:23] | So… about the case. | 关于这个案子 |
[15:28] | I have a point of view, and I am concerned | 我有自己的看法 而且可能 |
[15:31] | that it doesn’t dovetail with our client’s. | 与我们的客户的利益相悖 |
[15:34] | I’ve been a practicing Catholic my whole life. | 我是一个虔诚的天主教徒 |
[15:37] | And suicide… | 自杀… |
[15:40] | suicide’s a mortal sin. | 自杀可是极大罪恶 |
[15:40] | 天主教所认为的极大罪恶 犯罪者必须忏悔 否则死后灵魂会受到惩罚 | |
[15:43] | Sanctity of life. | 生命之神圣 |
[15:44] | No one can take a person’s life, even their own, except for God. | 只有上帝能取走生命 自己也不行 |
[15:49] | I’m sorry, but… that’s just what I believe. | 很抱歉 但这是我的信仰 |
[15:57] | Let me ask you something, Benny. | 我问你个问题 本尼 |
[15:59] | Did I ever say I thought what Adam did was right? | 我有说过我觉得亚当没有错吗 |
[16:02] | No. | 没有 |
[16:03] | ‘Cause it doesn’t matter. | 那是因为这一点不重要 |
[16:05] | You have a job to do, and you can still be | 工作就是工作 这并不影响你接着当 |
[16:07] | a good Catholic and a good lawyer. | 一名虔诚的天主教徒和一位出色的律师 |
[16:09] | Hundreds of thousands of men and women just like you | 有无数像你这样的人 |
[16:12] | have proven that for over two centuries. | 在过去的两个多世纪里已经证明了这点 |
[16:14] | Well, maybe they can… | 没准儿他们能… |
[16:15] | Damn it, Benny! Come on! | 该死 本尼 行了吧 |
[16:16] | I am not asking you to go out and kill somebody. | 我又不是让你出去杀人 |
[16:19] | I’m asking you to go into a court of law… | 我是让你到法庭上… |
[16:21] | In fact, I’m paying you to go into a court of law | 事实上 我可是付了你钱的 |
[16:24] | and save a boy’s life. | 我就想让你救下一个男孩的命而已 |
[16:29] | What kind of God do you pray to? | 也不知道你祷告的是哪门子的上帝 |
[16:31] | Bull, | 布尔 |
[16:32] | you can’t say that! | 你不能这样说 |
[16:33] | I just did. | 我就这么说了 |
[16:34] | – I apologize on his behalf. – No, no, no. | – 我替他向你道歉 – 不必 没事 |
[16:36] | No, no. No-no apologies necessary. | 没事 无需道歉 |
[16:38] | The kid has a right to a vigorous defense. | 那孩子有权有这么一位激情如注的辩护律师 |
[16:42] | I just don’t want to hinder that | 我只是不想让 |
[16:44] | because my own personal moral code conflicts with his. | 我和他的道德准则的冲突阻碍我们 |
[16:47] | And I would argue | 我敢说 |
[16:48] | that you will mount an even more vigorous defense, | 你绝对比我更担得起激情如注辩护律师这名号 |
[16:50] | because you understand the jurors, | 因为你设身处地地为陪审员着想 |
[16:53] | especially the unfriendly ones. | 特别是那些不怎么友好的 |
[16:55] | You sure you want to do this? | 你确定你要这么做 |
[16:57] | After… | 在… |
[16:59] | After everything I just said? | 在我说过那些话后 |
[17:01] | On a case we’re not even getting paid for, | 为一个甚至得不到报酬的案子辩护 |
[17:03] | on top of that? Huh? | 基于这一切 是吗 |
[17:04] | Wait. Uh, we’re not getting paid for this case? | 等等 我们是无偿做这个案子吗 |
[17:05] | – Okay, we’re done here. – No, we’re not getting paid for it. | – 我没什么好说的了 – 不 没有报酬 |
[17:07] | – Bull?! – We’re done here! | – 布尔 – 这事就这么定了 |
[17:23] | Hello? | 喂 |
[17:24] | Bad time? | 没打扰你吧 |
[17:26] | Oh, I was just walking out. What’s up, Cable? | 我正要出去呢 怎么了 凯博 |
[17:28] | I just found the mother lode. | 我可是挖到宝了 |
[17:30] | What does that mean? | 什么意思 |
[17:31] | Emily. I’m talking tons of stuff, actually. | 艾米莉 我是说我找到了很多料 |
[17:34] | An online cancer support group. | 她参加了一个网上癌症关顾组 |
[17:36] | Mostly other teenagers. | 基本上都是一帮孩子 |
[17:38] | Anyone she was talking to more than the others? | 有和她联系格外频繁的吗 |
[17:41] | Yeah, this girl RileyG03. | 有个叫瑞丽G03的女孩 |
[17:43] | They have all sorts of online chat sub-strings | 他们有各种在线聊天的子字符串 |
[17:46] | and stuff, just the two of them. | 还有其他的 她们只互相用 |
[17:50] | Okay, um… can you send me those? | 好 你能把那些发给我吗 |
[17:53] | You think it might actually be something? | 你觉得这里面能挖出来什么吗 |
[17:55] | Maybe. | 也许吧 |
[17:57] | And see if you can find me a real name for this RileyG03. | 你再看看能不能查出这个瑞丽G03的真名 |
[18:00] | Will do. Have a great evening. | 没问题 好好享受你的愉悦夜晚吧 |
[18:02] | Oh, yes. Life is one big party. | 生活还真是一场狂欢哈 |
[18:12] | Leave a message. | 有事请留言 |
[18:14] | Hey, I know I said I, uh… I was gonna be there, | 嘿 我之前说过 我今天会去你那边 |
[18:17] | but… I can’t be there. | 但是我没法去了 |
[18:20] | I love you. | 爱你 |
[18:24] | So, what are we looking for? | 我们要找什么人 |
[18:26] | People who believe in the right to die? | 相信有权力掌握自己生死的人吗 |
[18:28] | Too obvious. That’s who the other side will strike first. | 太明显 这也是对方会否掉的人 |
[18:31] | Mind if I watch? | 介意我旁听吗 |
[18:33] | – No. – No. – Yes. | – 不 – 不 – 介意 |
[18:38] | What are you hoping to watch? | 你想旁听些什么 |
[18:40] | I’m just fascinated. | 我就是很好奇 |
[18:41] | I mean, on the one hand, I get it. | 我是说 一方面 我理解那个男孩 |
[18:44] | I was 17 once, and I was in love. | 我也年轻过 我也曾陷入爱河 |
[18:48] | And I would have done anything for that person. | 为了那个人 赴汤蹈火在所不惜 |
[18:51] | And on the other, it’s murder. | 另一方面 这是谋杀 |
[18:55] | He’s right. | 他说的没错 |
[18:58] | You know what the problem with this case is? | 你们知道这个案子的问题在哪儿吗 |
[19:01] | The facts are getting in the way of the truth. | 事实挡在了真相之前 |
[19:05] | I’ve talked to this kid. | 我和那个孩子谈过 |
[19:06] | He’s tortured by what happened, he’s devastated. | 这件事一直折磨着他 他满身疮痍 |
[19:10] | He loved this girl with all of his heart. | 他爱那个女孩爱到了骨子里 |
[19:11] | Why would he kill her? | 他为什么要杀她 |
[19:12] | Why would he… willingly carry that burden with him | 他为什么心甘情愿地背上这个重担 |
[19:16] | for the rest of his life? | 这重担将会伴他一生 |
[19:17] | I just have to believe that | 我必须坚信 |
[19:19] | the right jury will see that he did not murder her. | 陪审团会明白他没有谋杀她 |
[19:22] | It was… a sacrifice | 这是种…牺牲 |
[19:25] | at the behest of the woman he loved. | 是应他爱的那个女人的要求 |
[19:26] | Okay, with all due respect to you and Chunk, | 无意冒犯你和特朗科 |
[19:29] | I think it’s going to be pretty hard to find people | 我觉得很难找到那些 |
[19:31] | who can look past the fact that the girl died | 可以透过那女孩死于那男孩之手 |
[19:33] | at this boy’s hand, and even consider | 这一事实看到真相的人 他们根本 |
[19:35] | that there might have been extenuating circumstances. | 想都不会想可使罪行减轻的情节 |
[19:38] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[19:39] | I know. You got to be pretty damn cognitively agile | 我知道 一个人的思维要足够敏捷 |
[19:41] | to even want to hear it. | 才想要细细听来 |
[19:42] | Cognitively agile? What does that mean? | 思维足够敏捷 什么意思 |
[19:45] | It means we got | 就是说我们 |
[19:47] | a lot of people we need to eliminate from our jury. | 能从我们的陪审团名单里删掉一大批人 |
[19:51] | There are just certain types of people | 这社会里只有特定的几类人 |
[19:52] | who are more comfortable with absolutes, | 对于绝对 确定 规则 |
[19:55] | certainties, rules. | 这种东西感到格外舒服 |
[19:58] | Everything’s black or white. | 所有东西都是非黑即白 |
[20:01] | Those people will never be able to hear this argument. | 这些人是绝对不会有机会参与这场审判 |
[20:03] | This guy, | 这个人 |
[20:04] | perfectly-cut suit, perfectly-knotted tie. | 西装剪裁得体 领结一丝不乱 |
[20:07] | Too fastidious. OCD. | 太讲究 强迫症 |
[20:09] | Logical and analytical. | 逻辑严谨 头脑周密 |
[20:11] | Get him out of there. | 把他清出去 |
[20:12] | Career military. | 职业军人 |
[20:15] | History of following rules. | 遵守规则是他们的传统 |
[20:16] | She is not gonna play well with us. | 她和我们处不来 |
[20:19] | People for whom | 那些个认为 |
[20:21] | there is only a right and a wrong are not gonna sympathize | 对错分明 对于我们认为可减轻罪行的情节 |
[20:24] | with the extenuating circumstances of our case. | 毫无怜悯支持的人 |
[20:27] | They will never be on our side. | 永远也不可能站在我们这边 |
[20:30] | So, how many of you have children? | 你们中有孩子的有哪些 |
[20:33] | All right. | 不错 |
[20:34] | Who here sticks to a strict bedtime schedule? | 谁遵循严格的作息时间 |
[20:36] | No exceptions. | 不可破例 |
[20:38] | Ah. Good for you. | 真是不错 |
[20:43] | Move to strike these three jurors, Your Honor. | 我们要拒绝这三位陪审员 法官大人 |
[20:48] | Now here’s where it gets tricky. | 现在到了真正考验技术的时候了 |
[20:50] | We need to find people who can see the difference | 我们要找出可以分辨出 |
[20:52] | between responsibility and blame. | 责任和责备的人 |
[20:55] | So, | 现在 |
[20:56] | let’s just say the chair | 我们假设 |
[20:57] | you’re sitting in right now suddenly broke. | 你坐的这把椅子突然散架了 |
[20:59] | Would it be your fault? | 这是你的错吗 |
[21:01] | I’m not sure I understand your question. | 我不确定我有没有听懂你的问题 |
[21:03] | Well, | 好吧 |
[21:04] | the chair appeared to be fine, | 这椅子看上去好好地 |
[21:05] | you sat in it, it broke. | 你一坐上去 它就散架了 |
[21:07] | Are you to blame? | 你应该被责备吗 |
[21:08] | Well, yeah, I guess I would be? | 我觉得应该 |
[21:11] | Well, who else’s fault would it be? | 还能怪谁呢 |
[21:13] | And another one bites the dust. | 又一个阵亡了 |
[21:15] | You are running out of options. | 你已经没得选了 |
[21:16] | I don’t know. Maybe the chair was old, defective. | 不知道 可能是椅子已经老旧有缺陷了 |
[21:19] | Bingo. An evolved thinker. | 答对 一个进化完全的思考者 |
[21:21] | Just because he broke the chair | 仅仅是把椅子给弄散架了 |
[21:23] | doesn’t necessarily mean it’s his fault. | 并不一定意味着是他的错 |
[21:28] | Juror number three is acceptable to the defense, Your Honor. | 三号陪审员被纳入辩方陪审团 法官大人 |
[21:31] | Very well, then. We have our jury. | 好 陪审团组建完毕 |
[21:33] | The rest of you are released. | 其他人可以走了 |
[21:40] | I don’t understand. | 我就不明白 |
[21:41] | How is any of this supposed to be helping me? | 这怎么就帮我了 |
[21:43] | You just have to trust him, Adam. | 你相信他就行了 亚当 |
[21:45] | This is where the man lives. | 这是他最拿手的地方 |
[21:54] | That’s her mom. | 这是她妈妈 |
[21:58] | Adam, let’s go this way. | 亚当 走这边 |
[22:00] | No, I need to say something. | 不 我有话要说 |
[22:01] | Adam, that’s not a good idea. | 亚当 这不是个好主意 |
[22:03] | Mr. and Mrs. Conner. | 康纳夫妇 |
[22:08] | I’m so sorry. | 对不起 |
[22:10] | I loved Emily so much. | 我太爱艾米莉 |
[22:12] | I miss her so much. | 我太想她了 |
[22:15] | I’m so sorry. | 对不起 |
[22:17] | You’re sorry? | 你对不起 |
[22:19] | You should be dead. Not her. | 那你就应该替她死 |
[22:22] | You. | 你 |
[22:23] | Come on, Dawn. Not here. | 拜托 道恩 别在这说 |
[22:24] | You’re the drug user. | 你才嗑药 |
[22:25] | You gave her those drugs, | 是你把毒品给她的 |
[22:27] | didn’t you? | 不是吗 |
[22:29] | – Didn’t you? – You are gonna walk this way | – 不是吗 – 走这边 |
[22:31] | and not say another word. Let’s go. | 一句话也别说了 走吧 |
[22:32] | We didn’t even get to say good-bye! | 我们连最后一面都没见着 |
[22:35] | You took that from us! | 都是你害的 |
[22:37] | You murderer! | 你个杀人犯 |
[22:54] | Did you give her the drugs? | 是你把毒品给她的吗 |
[22:57] | You mean, were they mine? | 你是说 那玩意是我的吗 |
[22:58] | You know what I mean. | 你知道我在说什么 |
[23:00] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[23:02] | I’m not a druggie. | 我可不是瘾君子 |
[23:04] | It’s not my thing. | 我不干这种事 |
[23:09] | So… | 那么… |
[23:12] | what was that between you and Emily’s mom | 你和艾米莉的妈在庭外的那事 |
[23:15] | at the courthouse? | 又怎么解释 |
[23:17] | Sophomore year… | 大二那年… |
[23:19] | tore my ACL. | 我伤到了前十字韧带 |
[23:21] | The doctor prescribed hydrocodone, and… | 医生给我开了氢可酮 |
[23:21] | 氢可酮 一种常见的止痛药 | |
[23:25] | I liked it. | 我上瘾了 |
[23:29] | You seek treatment? | 你去看医生了吗 |
[23:31] | Treatment? | 医生 |
[23:33] | Told my dad. | 我告诉了我爸 |
[23:35] | He flushed everything down the toilet. | 他全冲进马桶里了 |
[23:40] | The only other person I told was Emily. | 除了我爸我只告诉过艾米莉 |
[23:43] | And she told her parents, | 她告诉了她父母 |
[23:45] | and now you’re gonna hear about it | 现在 你在证人席上 |
[23:47] | from the witness stand. | 也会听到 |
[23:49] | They’re gonna get some expert to explain | 他们会找专家说明 |
[23:51] | fentanyl and hydrocodone are both opioids. | 芬太尼和氢可酮都是类鸦片药物 |
[23:54] | Then they’ll speculate that you began abusing your medication. | 他们会猜测你滥用了药物 |
[23:57] | And when you couldn’t get another refill, well… | 当你弄不到药时 |
[24:01] | you bought it off the street. | 你就去巷子里买 |
[24:04] | So when your girlfriend decided to kill herself, | 当你的女友决定自杀 |
[24:07] | you knew right where to go. | 你就知道该去什么地方 |
[24:09] | But none of that’s true. | 这些都不是真的 |
[24:10] | And we’ll object, but the jury | 我们也会反对 但是陪审团 |
[24:11] | will have already heard it. | 已经都听进去了 |
[24:12] | And the people who are inclined to believe that story | 那些本来就相信那种解释的人 |
[24:14] | are probably gonna believe it anyway. | 不管怎样还是会相信的 |
[24:18] | Put me on the stand. | 让我作证 |
[24:20] | They’ll know it’s the truth if they hear it from me. | 他们听我解释之后 会知道我说的才是事实 |
[24:22] | That’s not gonna happen. | 这不可能 |
[24:23] | Not while I’m running the show. | 是我做主就不可能 |
[24:25] | First question the prosecution is gonna ask you | 首先 控方会问你 |
[24:26] | is “Did you inject those drugs?” | “你注射过这些药物吗” |
[24:28] | And you’re gonna answer, “Yes, I did.” | 你会回答”是” |
[24:30] | And then nobody, from that point on, | 在那之后 |
[24:31] | is gonna hear a word you say. | 没人会相信你说的话 |
[24:33] | And unless there is an earth-shattering reason | 除非让你去作证 |
[24:35] | to put you on that stand, I am… | 有什么极为重要的原因 我… |
[24:44] | Look at me. | 看着我 |
[24:46] | Did I say game over? | 我说没戏了吗 |
[24:48] | Did I say we were defeated? | 我说我们输了吗 |
[24:50] | They may have more points on the board, but… | 他们可能是在领先 但是… |
[24:52] | the game is far from over. | 游戏还没结束呢 |
[24:54] | Don’t patronize me. | 别跟我摆架子 |
[24:55] | You don’t get a name like Bull | 如果在结果出来前放弃 |
[24:56] | because you give up before the game is over. | 那我就不配叫布尔 |
[24:56] | 这里双关 | |
[24:58] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[25:00] | That’s your name. You were born with that. | 那是你的名字 你生来就有 |
[25:03] | Maybe I was. | 或许是吧 |
[25:05] | Maybe I wasn’t. | 或许不是 |
[25:07] | Maybe I just made it up. | 或许我都是编的 |
[25:09] | Maybe it’s just a tool | 或许那就是我的一个工具 |
[25:10] | I came up with to help me win. | 好让我在庭上取胜 |
[25:12] | I’ll do anything to win. | 为了胜利 我不惜一切代价 |
[25:14] | Game’s not over, champ. | 还没结束呢 冠军 |
[25:20] | Marissa! | 玛丽莎 |
[25:26] | Bull? What can I do for you? | 布尔 什么事 |
[25:30] | I want ice. | 我要些冰 |
[25:31] | Ice. | 冰 |
[25:33] | As in, drink? | 你是说喝的吗 |
[25:34] | At 4:25 in the afternoon? | 在下午四点二十五分的时候吗 |
[25:36] | I knew never should have gotten you | 我就知道我不该在圣诞送你 |
[25:38] | that box set of Mad Men for Christmas. | 那盒《广告狂人》全集 |
[25:38] | 广告狂人 一部美国历史剧 字面意义为”疯狂男人” | |
[25:40] | Well… | 这个… |
[25:42] | the trial starts tomorrow. | 明天就开庭了 |
[25:46] | We got a defendant who’s convinced we can’t win, | 被告对胜诉不抱期望 |
[25:48] | a lawyer who’s convinced he’s going to hell | 律师觉得自己要下地狱了 |
[25:49] | and no murder weapon. | 凶器也没找出来 |
[25:51] | Okay, I’m sorry, | 不好意思 |
[25:53] | what do you mean, murder weapon? | 你指的凶器是什么 |
[25:55] | The fentanyl. | 芬太尼 |
[25:56] | We don’t know how Emily got the fentanyl. | 我们不知道艾米莉是怎么弄到的 |
[25:58] | And until we do, the jury is going to think | 在我们弄清楚前 陪审团会觉得 |
[26:01] | that she got it from Adam. | 她是从亚当那里拿的 |
[26:02] | Well, I know Cable gave Danny a lead | 凯博给丹尼指出了 |
[26:04] | on someone in Emily’s support group. | 在艾米莉支持小组中的其中一人 |
[26:06] | A girl who lives upstate. Someone Emily was talking to | 一个住州北的女孩 曾每天和艾米莉来往 |
[26:09] | every single day until about five months ago. | 直到大概五个月前 |
[26:11] | Danny’s hoping maybe she can tell us something. | 丹尼希望她能告诉我们些什么 |
[26:14] | There’s also going on between Emily’s parents. | 艾米莉家长之间也有些什么 |
[26:17] | It’s not just grief. | 那不只是悲伤 |
[26:18] | There’s some kind of… | 还有一种… |
[26:20] | disconnect. | 冷漠 |
[26:21] | I saw it at the courthouse. | 我在法院外看见了 |
[26:22] | I can ask Cable do a deep dive on their e-mails | 我可以让凯博深入调查他们的电子邮件 |
[26:25] | and texts… see what she can find. | 还有短信… 看看能找出些什么 |
[26:29] | You’re not really worried… | 你其实并不担心吧 |
[26:32] | are you? | 对吗 |
[26:35] | You know, when I was a kid, | 我小时候 |
[26:38] | when I’d screw up, get in trouble… | 每当我把事情搞砸 惹上麻烦… |
[26:41] | make bad choices… | 做错事的时候… |
[26:44] | my grandfather would say to me… | 我的爷爷会和我说… |
[26:47] | “There’s a good man in there somewhere. | “你心里住着一个好人 |
[26:50] | We just got to keep you alive till you’re 26.” | 我们只需要把你养活到二十六岁” |
[26:55] | That kid. | 那个小伙子 |
[26:57] | And the way he loved that girl. | 他爱女友的那种感觉 |
[27:01] | The fact he was willing to step in | 在他女友需要他的时候 |
[27:04] | at that moment when she needed him, and… | 他甘愿奉献… |
[27:07] | damn the consequences. | 不计后果 |
[27:12] | There’s a good man in there. | 他心里也住着一个好人 |
[27:15] | The defense is gonna tell you that | 辩方表示 |
[27:17] | Adam Harris had no idea | 亚当 哈里斯对进入酒店后 |
[27:19] | what was going to happen | 会发生什么 |
[27:21] | when he entered the hotel room. | 完全不知情 |
[27:23] | But I’m going to tell you the truth. | 我会告诉你们真相 |
[27:25] | About a boy who harassed his ex | 也是这个男孩用短信和电子邮件 |
[27:28] | with texts and e-mails for months. | 曾骚扰他前女友数月 |
[27:31] | Who finally convinced her | 最后 他成功说服她 |
[27:33] | to leave the hospital | 溜出医院 |
[27:35] | so he can have sex with her in a sleazy hotel. | 和他去一家破旅馆春宵一刻 |
[27:38] | So they can do drugs together. | 然后一起嗑药 |
[27:41] | Something he has a sordid history with. | 此等肮脏的事他也有前科 |
[27:44] | And you know the rest. | 后来的事就很明显了 |
[27:46] | Things got out of hand. | 事情失去控制 |
[27:48] | And one of them ended up dead. | 其中一个不幸丧生 |
[27:51] | That’s the real story. | 这就是事实 |
[27:53] | And we’ll prove it. | 我们会证明一切的 |
[27:56] | Any progress on the fentanyl? | 芬太尼的调查有进展了吗 |
[27:58] | It’s like Fort Knox when it comes to narcotics | 医院对药品的把控非常严格 |
[28:00] | at that hospital. There’s no way Emily got it there. | 所以艾米莉不可能在那里搞到芬太尼 |
[28:02] | Huh. Any progress with mom and dad? | 那她父母那边有什么进展吗 |
[28:06] | You were right. | 你说对了 |
[28:08] | Emily’s dad has been texting another woman | 艾米莉的父亲在过去的几个月 |
[28:09] | for the past few months, and, from what I can tell, | 一直在和另一个女人联络 而且就我所知 |
[28:12] | not telling his wife about it. | 他并没有告诉他的妻子 |
[28:14] | It might be an affair. | 可能是婚外恋 |
[28:16] | But I honestly don’t see how it’s relevant. | 但说实话我没看出这两者有什么联系 |
[28:19] | It’s not. Yet. | 是没什么 现在还没有 |
[28:20] | But a trial is a living thing. | 但庭审是活的 |
[28:22] | It’s like jazz. | 就像爵士乐一样 |
[28:24] | It wants to go where it wants to go. | 人的想法如何 结果就如何 |
[28:26] | This may come in handy in a day or two, | 一两天之内这或许能派上用场 |
[28:28] | so why don’t you go back to the office, give Marissa a hand? | 你现在回办公室帮米莉莎调查 |
[28:31] | Let’s find out where Emily got this fentanyl. | 我们要搞清楚艾米莉从哪搞到这芬太尼的 |
[28:34] | Harrison. Hey. | 哈里森 嗨 |
[28:35] | Sorry I couldn’t get there the other night. | 抱歉那天晚上我去不了了 |
[28:37] | I, uh… I got a case that’s picking up steam. | 我接了一件很紧急的案子 |
[28:42] | Um, how about Friday? | 呃 那周五呢 |
[28:44] | Want to do some salsa dancing? | 想去跳跳萨尔萨舞吗 |
[28:45] | Call me. | 联系我 |
[28:51] | Can I help you? | 有什么事吗 |
[28:53] | Yeah. Sorry to bother you. Um, | 是的 很抱歉打扰您了 |
[28:54] | I’m assuming you’re Ava’s mother? | 我想您是艾娃的母亲吧 |
[28:56] | My name’s Danny. I’m an investigator | 我叫丹尼 我是调查员 |
[28:58] | working on behalf of the families involved | 受聘于死者家属 |
[29:00] | in the death of a friend of your daughter’s… Emily Conner. | 死者是您女儿的朋友 叫艾米莉·康纳 |
[29:02] | I heard the news. | 我听说了这件事 |
[29:04] | I’m so sorry. | 我很难过 |
[29:06] | Did you know Emily? | 您了解艾米莉吗 |
[29:07] | Uh… No, not really. | 呃…不 不太了解 |
[29:09] | Uh, she came here once, with a boy, | 她到这里来过一次 和一个男孩一起 |
[29:11] | to visit Ava. | 来看艾娃 |
[29:13] | Ava’d just had a surgery, she wanted to surprise her. | 当时艾娃刚做完手术 她想要给她一个惊喜 |
[29:16] | But… I think that was the only time they ever met face-to-face. | 但是 我想这是唯一一次她们真正见到对方 |
[29:19] | Everything else was online. | 其余都是在网上联系的 |
[29:21] | Online all the time. | 全都是通过网络 |
[29:22] | Hmm. That’s what I heard as well. | 我所听到的也是这样 |
[29:24] | And then, all of a sudden, they just stopped communicating. | 然后突然之间她们断了所有的联系 |
[29:29] | Would it be possible | 请问我能够 |
[29:30] | to speak with your daughter? | 和你的女儿说两句吗 |
[29:32] | Ava? | 和艾娃 |
[29:38] | Again, I’m so sorry about Emily. | 再一次为艾米莉感到遗憾 |
[29:42] | Her poor parents. | 她父母很可怜 |
[29:44] | I would just die | 要是我失去了艾娃 |
[29:45] | without my Ava. | 我会痛不欲生 |
[29:58] | Ava? Honey? | 艾娃 宝贝 |
[30:01] | Uh, this is Danny. | 这是丹尼 |
[30:03] | She’s a friend of Emily Conner’s… | 她是艾米莉·康纳的一个朋友… |
[30:04] | that girl from the news? That girl | 是那个新闻上的女孩 |
[30:07] | who came to visit you? | 是那个曾经来看过你的女孩 |
[30:16] | I don’t know that we’re gonna have a lot of luck today. | 我不知道我们今天能有什么进展 |
[30:20] | Uh, how long ago did you say they stopped communicating? | 你说她们从什么时候开始停止来往的 |
[30:22] | Um… five months ago. | 五个月前 |
[30:26] | Well, that makes sense. | 那就说得通了 |
[30:27] | Ever since her operation, Ava hasn’t touched her computer. | 手术结束后艾娃就再没有动过电脑 |
[30:44] | Dr. Muller, you were Emily’s | 穆勒医生 你是艾米莉的 |
[30:46] | oncological surgeon. | 肿瘤外科医生 |
[30:48] | In your expert opinion, | 根据你的专业意见 |
[30:49] | would this surgery have extended her life? | 手术是否能够延长她的生命 |
[30:52] | By at least six months. | 能延长至少6个月 |
[30:53] | Emily was an outstanding candidate… | 艾米莉非常适合动手术 |
[30:55] | young, healthy | 年轻 其他方面 |
[30:56] | – in every other way. – And in those six months, | – 都很健康 – 那么在那六个月里 |
[30:58] | any number of medical advances | 在医学领域 |
[31:00] | could have been made? | 可能有多少进展呢 |
[31:02] | – Perhaps even a cure found? – Objection, | – 或许甚至能找到治愈方法 – 反对 |
[31:04] | Your Honor. Speculation. | 法官大人 这是推测 |
[31:06] | Well, given his specialty in the field, I’ll allow it. | 好吧 鉴于他所在的专业领域 允许 |
[31:09] | Well, a cure certainly isn’t… | 治愈的结果 |
[31:11] | impossible. | 不是不可能的 |
[31:13] | Nothing further. | 我问完了 |
[31:15] | How badly did that hurt us? | 这对陪审团有多大影响 |
[31:17] | our five “cognitively agile” jurors weren’t swayed. | 我们还有五位”思维敏捷”的陪审员没有动摇 |
[31:21] | But… the rest of ’em love this guy. | 但是…其他人都完全听进去了 |
[31:24] | Dr. Muller, | 穆勒医生 |
[31:25] | Emily’s tumor was in her frontal lobe, is that correct? | 艾米莉的肿瘤在她的前额叶里 没错吧 |
[31:28] | – It was. – And the frontal lobe controls what, | – 没错 – 那么前额叶控制什么 |
[31:31] | uh, memory, language, emotion? | 记忆 语言 情绪 |
[31:33] | Yes, that’s right. | 是的 没错 |
[31:37] | These three things. | 这三样 |
[31:40] | They-they’re.. they’re kind of the essence of who we are, | 都是…这不就是我们存在的本质吗 |
[31:42] | wouldn’t you say? | 你不这样认为吗 |
[31:44] | Now, would the surgery | 那么 这台手术 |
[31:46] | have permanently damaged | 能够永久地破坏 |
[31:48] | or altered that essence? | 或是改变这种本质吗 |
[31:52] | A dramatic change in personality is a common side effect, yes. | 个性上的巨大变化确实是一种常见的副作用 |
[31:55] | And how did Emily feel about that? | 艾米莉是怎么想的 |
[31:57] | She expressed her concern about that. | 她是表现出了担心 |
[32:00] | Did she ever say she didn’t want the surgery? | 她有没有说过她不想做这个手术 |
[32:02] | Well, she was a minor, so… | 她还没成年 所以… |
[32:03] | Just a yes or no answer, please. | 请直接回答有还是没有 |
[32:06] | Yes. | 有 |
[32:10] | Let’s talk about this cure | 再来谈谈这个你早先 |
[32:11] | – you mentioned earlier. – Well, I | – 提到过的治愈疗法 – 其实 |
[32:13] | didn’t actually say there was a cure. | 我并没有真的说过有什么治愈的方法 |
[32:15] | I just… acknowledged the possibility | 我只是承认有这种可能性 |
[32:17] | that one could be found. | 可能会找到治愈方法 |
[32:19] | But, realistically speaking, | 但是 现实地说 |
[32:21] | that possibility is pretty slim, | 这种可能性微乎其微 |
[32:24] | considering Emily’s time frame, wouldn’t you say? | 要考虑艾米莉的时间 不是吗 |
[32:26] | I mean, there isn’t something that’s on the brink | 我是说 你无法知道 |
[32:30] | that you’re aware of, is there? | 接下来会发生什么 是吗 |
[32:34] | No. Not to my knowledge. | 是的 没办法 |
[32:36] | And let’s just say… | 那么我们就来假设 |
[32:38] | let’s say we did find | 假设我们的确找到了 |
[32:39] | some sort of miracle cure | 某种神奇的疗法 |
[32:42] | for glioblastoma. | 能够治愈恶性胶质瘤 |
[32:44] | What about that missing part in her brain? | 那么她大脑里缺失的那部分呢 |
[32:46] | The part that you | 你想要 |
[32:47] | wanted to cut out? | 摘除的那部分 |
[32:49] | Is there some sort of procedure | 有没有某种手术 |
[32:51] | or medicine that we could use | 或者药物能够 |
[32:52] | to grow that back? | 让那部分长回去 |
[32:54] | No. Of course not. | 没有 当然没有 |
[32:57] | Huh. I didn’t know that. | 这我倒是第一次知道 |
[33:00] | Nothing further, Your Honor. | 我问完了 法官大人 |
[33:02] | Good news. | 好消息 |
[33:03] | We picked up two jurors. | 我们又赢回了两位陪审员 |
[33:13] | – Dr. Bull? – Cable. | – 布尔博士 – 凯博 |
[33:15] | What are you still doing here? | 你还在这里干什么呢 |
[33:17] | It’s 10:30. | 已经十点半了 |
[33:18] | I thought you might want to know I figured out who the woman was | 我想你也许想知道和艾米莉父亲 |
[33:21] | who Emily’s dad was texting. | 发消息的女人是谁 |
[33:22] | Turns out it was a therapist. | 是一位心理医生 |
[33:24] | A therapist specializing in end-of-life treatment. | 一位专门从事安乐死的心理医生 |
[33:29] | From what I can tell, the mom wasn’t even aware. | 据我所知 她母亲毫不知情 |
[33:32] | So that’s the wedge between ’em. | 所以这是他们之间的隔阂 |
[33:34] | Emily’s dad was taking her to a therapist, | 艾米莉的父亲带她去看心理医生 |
[33:37] | and he was keeping it a secret from his wife. | 并且对他的妻子保密 |
[33:39] | Why? | 为什么呢 |
[33:41] | Because he knew what his daughter really wanted? | 因为他知道他的女儿想要结束生命 |
[33:45] | Which means, on some level, | 这说明 某种程度上 |
[33:47] | he sympathized with her. | 他同情她 |
[33:49] | But he couldn’t tell his wife. | 但他不能告诉他的妻子 |
[33:51] | Her mother. | 她的母亲 |
[33:53] | It wasn’t just Adam who had her back. | 不仅只有亚当支持她 |
[33:56] | She had two people in her corner. | 还有他父亲 |
[33:57] | One of ’em needs to hear from the other. | 他们需要倾听彼此 |
[34:00] | And now I am gonna do | 现在我要去做一件 |
[34:02] | the thing I swore I’d never do. | 我绝对从未做过的事 |
[34:05] | The defense would like to call Adam Harris. | 辩护律师申请传唤亚当 哈里斯 |
[34:22] | I want to talk about the second to last time you saw Emily. | 我想谈谈你倒数第二次见到艾米莉的情形 |
[34:25] | Do you remember that day? | 你还记得那天吗 |
[34:29] | Of course. | 当然记得 |
[34:31] | It was, like, six months ago. | 那大概是六个月前吧 |
[34:35] | She had just gotten sick. | 她刚刚得病 |
[34:37] | I mean, you couldn’t see it, but she told me about it. | 我是说虽然看不出来 但是她是这么告诉我的 |
[34:42] | Anyway, uh, she wanted | 反正 她想去找那个 |
[34:44] | to visit this girl who lived upstate. | 住在城北的女孩 |
[34:47] | This girl who had the same thing she had | 那个女孩得了一样的病 |
[34:49] | and just had an operation for it. | 而且刚做完手术 |
[34:51] | Tell me about it. | 说说那天的事情 |
[34:52] | I don’t really know a lot. | 我其实知道得不多 |
[34:54] | She asked me to wait in the car. | 她叫我在车里等着 |
[34:56] | She went into the house to see her friend and… | 她去房子里看她的朋友 |
[35:00] | came back 15 minutes later. | 然后十五分钟后回来了 |
[35:02] | And what did she say? Did she see anything? | 她说了什么 她看到了什么吗 |
[35:07] | No. | 没有说 |
[35:09] | She was just really upset. | 她只是非常难过 |
[35:12] | Didn’t say a word the whole trip back. | 回去的路上一句话也没说 |
[35:15] | And that was the last time you saw her? | 那就是你最后一次见她 |
[35:18] | Last time I saw her. | 是我最后一次见她 |
[35:21] | Last time she spoke to me. | 她最后一次跟我说话 |
[35:25] | Last time she answered a text | 最后一次回短信 |
[35:27] | or an e-mail… | 或者邮件 |
[35:31] | …till she called me to help her leave the hospital. | 直到她打电话叫我带她离开医院 |
[35:41] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有更多问题了 法官大人 |
[35:44] | Bull, I know you prepped him, | 布尔 我知道你给他做好准备了 |
[35:46] | told him what to say, | 告诉他说什么 |
[35:47] | but I don’t know where you’re going with that. | 但我不知道你想用来做什么 |
[35:48] | Didn’t change a single mind on the jury. | 没有改变任何一个陪审团成员的想法 |
[35:50] | Doesn’t matter. | 没关系 |
[35:52] | I’m pretty sure it changed the one mind we needed to. | 我很确定它改变了我们需要的那个 |
[35:56] | And I think I know where Emily got the fentanyl. | 而且我想我知道了艾米莉从哪里拿到的芬太尼 |
[36:04] | Mr. Conner, you are a veterinary doctor? | 康纳先生 你是个兽医对吗 |
[36:07] | Yes. I have my own practice. | 对 我有自己的宠物医院 |
[36:08] | Now, am I correct in saying | 那么 我这样说对不对 |
[36:09] | that there are any number of crossover drugs? | 有一些药物是跨物种的 |
[36:13] | That is, drugs that are used by both people and animals? | 就是说 有一些药人和动物都能用的 |
[36:17] | Insulin? | 比如胰岛素 |
[36:18] | Anti-inflammatories? | 消炎药 |
[36:20] | SSRIs? | 抗抑郁药 |
[36:21] | – Things of that nature? – Yes. | – 类似那样的药物 – 没错 |
[36:23] | What about pain relievers? | 那止痛药呢 |
[36:24] | Morphine? | 吗啡 |
[36:26] | Fentanyl? | 芬太尼 |
[36:28] | Do you stock fentanyl? | 你有芬太尼的存货吗 |
[36:30] | I do. | 我有 |
[36:31] | Objection. Relevance? | 抗议 这有关吗 |
[36:33] | Seems relevant to me. | 我觉得有关 |
[36:35] | I’ll allow it. | 我批准继续 |
[36:36] | Mr. Conner, | 康纳先生 |
[36:39] | did you give Emily the fentanyl that killed her? | 你给了艾米莉自杀用的芬太尼吗 |
[36:46] | No. | 不 |
[36:47] | I did not. | 我没有 |
[36:50] | I didn’t actually have the courage | 我没有那个勇气 |
[36:52] | to do something like that. | 去做那种事 |
[36:54] | But you were aware that she wanted | 但是你知道她有 |
[36:56] | to take her life, | 自杀的想法 |
[36:58] | weren’t you, sir? | 是吗 先生 |
[37:01] | Yes. | 是的 |
[37:05] | Did you | 你有没有 |
[37:06] | ever discuss it with her? | 和她讨论过这个 |
[37:08] | A few times. | 有过几次 |
[37:11] | I took her to a therapist. | 我带她去见了个心理治疗师 |
[37:14] | I didn’t know what else to do. | 我不知道我还能做什么 |
[37:18] | This is what she wanted. | 她自己想要这样 |
[37:22] | Who was I to take that | 我怎么能 |
[37:23] | from her? | 拒绝她呢 |
[37:24] | To the best of your knowledge, | 据你所知 |
[37:27] | has any fentanyl gone missing from your office recently? | 你的办公室里最近有没有遗失芬太尼 |
[37:31] | One vial. | 丢了一管 |
[37:32] | About three weeks ago. | 大概三周以前 |
[37:34] | And when was the last time Emily was home? | 艾米莉上一次回家是什么时候 |
[37:36] | About three weeks ago. | 大概三周以前 |
[37:41] | You didn’t give it to her, but… | 你没有给她 但是 |
[37:43] | you didn’t do anything about it once it was gone, | 发现药丢了你也没有做任何事情 |
[37:45] | did you, Mr. Conner? | 是吗 康纳先生 |
[37:47] | No. | 没有 |
[37:50] | I wasn’t sure | 我不确定 |
[37:52] | it was her. | 是她拿的 |
[37:56] | But I was hoping. | 但我猜是的 |
[37:59] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有别的问题了 法官大人 |
[38:01] | Let’s take an hour recess, | 我们休息一小时 |
[38:03] | then commence with closing arguments. | 然后开始总结陈词 |
[38:06] | All right. Bottom of the ninth, two outs. | 好了 最后关头 又赢两个 |
[38:09] | Nail the closing arguments, and we got this won. | 搞定陈词 我们就赢了 |
[38:11] | How’s my favorite Catholic lawyer? | 我最爱的天主教律师 你说呢 |
[38:13] | Let me run something by you. | 我跟你说点事 |
[38:16] | Something I think I just figured out. | 我刚刚想明白的 |
[38:19] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I have to be honest, | 陪审团的女士们先生们 我必须承认 |
[38:23] | I’ve had my doubts about this case from the very beginning. | 我最初对这个案子就有许多疑惑 |
[38:27] | See, I’m a… I’m a Catholic. | 你看 我…我是个天主教徒 |
[38:30] | And when we started this case, I simply didn’t agree | 当我们接受这个案子时 我根本就没法认同 |
[38:32] | with what Emily did. | 艾米莉的做法 |
[38:34] | And today… | 直到今天 |
[38:36] | I still don’t. | 我也不认同 |
[38:39] | But… that’s the thing. | 但 问题是 |
[38:43] | It’s not about what she did. | 我们讨论的不是她的做法 |
[38:46] | It’s about what Adam did. | 而是亚当的做法 |
[38:48] | So let’s review. | 我们来回顾一下 |
[38:50] | She invited him to the hospital, | 她邀请了他去医院 |
[38:52] | so we can’t charge him with that. | 我们不能怪他 |
[38:54] | And she got the hotel room, | 她订了酒店房间 |
[38:55] | so that’s not on him, either. | 所以这也不能怪他 |
[38:57] | And we’re reasonably sure that she procured the drugs, so… | 我们也有理由相信她自己获取了药物 所以 |
[39:01] | Adam isn’t guilty there, either. So… | 这点亚当也没有责任 那么 |
[39:05] | …what is Adam guilty of? | 亚当到底有罪在哪呢 |
[39:10] | Maybe being 18? | 或许在于他仅仅十八岁 |
[39:13] | Maybe loving Emily too much to see her suffer against her will? | 爱艾米莉太深以至于没法眼睁睁看她受苦 |
[39:19] | Emily’s death was a tragedy. | 艾米莉的死是个悲剧 |
[39:21] | But that tragedy happened | 但这个悲剧发生在 |
[39:23] | when she was stricken with this terrible disease. | 她遭遇了这个可怕的疾病的时候 |
[39:25] | And… | 而且 |
[39:27] | Emily made a decision. | 艾米莉自己做出了决定 |
[39:29] | Now, whether you agree with that decision or not, | 现在 不管你是否赞同那个决定 |
[39:31] | it was hers and hers alone. | 那是她的决定 与任何人无关 |
[39:34] | And here’s the irony… | 讽刺的是 |
[39:36] | if you find my client guilty, | 假如你判我的当事人有罪 |
[39:38] | all you’ll be doing is the very thing you’re accusing him of. | 你们所做的就是你们指控他的罪名 |
[39:42] | Throwing a precious, young life away. | 夺走一个宝贵的年轻生命 |
[39:47] | Can you live with that? | 你能接受吗 |
[39:52] | Can you? | 能吗 |
[39:54] | ‘Cause if you can, I have to ask you, | 如果你们能 我必须问你们 |
[39:58] | what kind of God do you pray to? | 你祷告的到底是哪门子的上帝 |
[40:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:09] | Has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团是否已作出裁决 |
[40:13] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[40:15] | The jury finds the defendant | 陪审团认定被告 |
[40:18] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[40:28] | I want to come see you play basketball in the fall | 我希望秋天能去福特汉姆 |
[40:29] | at Fordham. | 看你打篮球 |
[40:31] | You got it, Dr. Bull. | 没问题 布尔博士 |
[40:39] | Hey. | 喂 |
[40:41] | There’s a good man in there. | 他会成为个优秀的人 |
[40:43] | Don’t let that kid screw up. | 别把他毁了 |
[40:44] | I won’t. | 我不会的 |
[40:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[40:50] | See that? | 看到了吧 |
[40:51] | And you didn’t want to take this case. | 你还不想接这个案子 |
[40:53] | Who didn’t want to take this case? | 谁不想接这个案子了 |
[40:55] | Well… | 好吧 |
[41:10] | Hey! | 喂 |
[41:12] | FBI! | 联邦调查局 |
[41:14] | Come on, I’m comin’ in! | 喂 我要进来了 |
[41:37] | Did you not get my message? | 你没受到我的短信吗 |
[41:43] | FBI探员在缉毒战中为搭档勇挡三颗子弹 | |
[41:47] | It’s Friday! | 星期五啦 |
[41:48] | Hello? | 人呢 |
[41:53] | All right! | 好吧 |
[41:55] | I guess I’ll be going. | 那我该走啦 |
[42:29] | That was good. | 很不错嘛 |