英文名称:Perspectives People I Have Shot
年代:2012
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:26] | This story is close to my heart. | 这个故事深入我心 |
[00:29] | And it is personal too. | 它是我的私家记忆 |
[00:31] | It is the story of a largely forgotten London-born photographer, | 这是个湮没于时光中的伦敦摄影师的故事 |
[00:35] | James Jarche. | 詹姆斯·贾歇 |
[00:38] | Jarche had a long and illustrious career on Fleet Street. | 贾歇在弗利特街有过相当长的辉煌史 |
[00:43] | He began photographing before the First World War | 他从一战前开始从事摄影 |
[00:46] | and his images continued to be printed as front page stories | 拍摄的照片不断被刊登在头版头条 |
[00:50] | up until the 1950s. | 直到20世纪50年代 |
[00:53] | He always said it was a wonderful life, it was a difficult life, | 他常说人生美妙 世道艰难 |
[00:56] | it was a tough life. | 活着不易 |
[00:59] | It wasn’t the world of the paparazzi | 当时的新闻摄影 |
[01:01] | as we know it today, though. | 可不像现在追逐花边的狗仔队 |
[01:03] | This was pure news. | 当时拍的都是纯粹的新闻 |
[01:08] | Jarche took a good number of images that have become iconic. | 贾歇拍摄过很多标志性照片 |
[01:12] | Churchill in top hat | 从围攻悉尼街的报导中选出的 |
[01:14] | picking from cover at the siege of Sydney Street. | 丘吉尔头戴礼帽的照片 |
[01:17] | The candid shot of Edward with a mystery woman | 爱德华和一位神秘女子的偷拍照片 |
[01:19] | before she had been identified as Wallis Simpson. | 后来她被认出是华里丝·辛普森 |
[01:23] | With his camera | 贾歇用他的相机 |
[01:25] | Jarche recorded many of the great figures of his day. | 记录下很多那个年代的重要人物 |
[01:28] | His story is personal for me | 他的故事于我之所以私人 |
[01:30] | because he was the man I knew as Jimmy. | 是因为在我印象中 他是吉米 |
[01:34] | He was my maternal grandfather. | 我的外祖父 |
[01:36] | I grew up under his spell, loving him dearly | 我自小就对他着迷 深爱着他 |
[01:39] | and it was Jimmy who gave me my first camera, | 吉米给了我第一部照相机 |
[01:41] | coached me in photography | 教我摄影 |
[01:43] | and passed on his passion for it. | 把他对摄影的热爱传承给了我 |
[01:45] | And he used to say to me, he used to say, | 他过去常对我说 |
[01:48] | “When you look through the camera | 当你透过相机看世界时 |
[01:50] | it’s not what you see, it is how you see it.” | 看到什么不重要 怎么看才重要 |
[01:52] | The greatest part of your whole equipment | 你整套设备里最棒的部件 |
[01:57] | has nothing to do with this. | 不是相机 |
[01:59] | It has to do with this. It has to do with your lens. | 而是你的眼睛 你的镜头 |
[02:02] | 50 years ago, | 五十年前 |
[02:03] | Jimmy gave me his last camera, a Leica M3. | 吉米把他最后一部相机徕卡M3给了我 |
[02:08] | I’m now going to use it to photograph the world today. | 我要用它来拍摄当今的世界 |
[02:11] | And in an attempt to understand his career better | 为了更好地理解他的事业 |
[02:15] | I’m going to do what he did. | 我打算有样学样 |
[02:21] | I’m going to be sent on assignments across Britain | 我将周游英国 |
[02:23] | to experience what it’s like to be a press photographer. | 体验做一名摄影记者的滋味 |
[02:28] | I’m going to photograph the sort of images | 我想拍摄那种 |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:1067个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:187个,六级词汇:80个,GRE词汇:90个,托福词汇:127个,考研词汇:183个,专四词汇:152个,专八词汇:24个, 所有生词标注共:318个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[02:29] | that Jimmy might have been asked to photograph. | 吉米可能会受邀拍摄的照片 |
[02:32] | I’m going to shoot some of the places and the people that he shot. | 我将拍摄他曾拍过的地方和人 |
[02:45] | London seems to be a different city from the one I know as a boy. | 伦敦和我儿时记忆中的城市不同了 |
[02:49] | So much has changed about Britain during my lifetime. | 我的一生中 英国发生了太多变化 |
[02:54] | Jimmy once photographed the Thames from a vantage point | 吉米曾在著名的壳牌大厦高层 |
[02:57] | high up on the famous Shell building. | 拍摄过泰晤士河 |
[03:00] | Oh, my goodness me. | 好家伙 |
[03:03] | It makes me go quite cold. | 把我冻得够呛 |
[03:05] | Here I am. This is almost exactly the same spot. | 有了 地点差不多是一样的 |
[03:09] | Look at that. | 看那儿 |
[03:12] | And actually he saw a bit of history being made | 事实上他见证了一小段历史变迁 |
[03:15] | because this building was | 因为八十几年前 |
[03:16] | being built at the time over 80 years ago. | 拍摄这张照片时 这座建筑正在建 |
[03:19] | There are the girders. | 这是钢梁 |
[03:22] | It is a snapshot of history. | 这是张历史快照 |
[03:25] | It is timeless and yet it isn’t timeless. | 时光仿佛停滞 但又确乎流逝了 |
[03:28] | Things have moved on | 世事变迁 |
[03:31] | and yet so much is still the same. | 但大部分事物仍始终如一 |
[03:37] | Jimmy’s father had a modest photographic business | 吉米的父亲在伦敦塔桥附近 |
[03:40] | by Tower Bridge. | 经营着的小本照相生意 |
[03:42] | He died when Jimmy was only 10 | 他去世那年吉米才十岁 |
[03:44] | leaving his son and wife to run the family business. | 留下的家族生意交给妻儿打理 |
[03:48] | It was by necessity that Jimmy became a professional photographer | 吉米因此成为一名专业摄影师 |
[03:52] | when he was still just a boy. | 当时他还只是个孩子 |
[03:57] | I also grew up in London with my brothers John and Peter. | 我同我的兄弟约翰和皮特在伦敦一起长大 |
[04:01] | We all remember Jimmy because he came to live with us | 吉米暮年搬来与我们同住 |
[04:03] | when he was an old man. | 所以我们都记得他 |
[04:05] | He was hugely charismatic | 他魅力超凡 |
[04:07] | and he entertained us all with his vivid stories. | 常给我们讲些生动的故事 |
[04:11] | We of course knew him as our beloved grandfather | 在我们的印象里 他是挚爱的外祖父 |
[04:14] | rather than as a photographer | 而不是在弗利特街 |
[04:15] | with a lifelong career on Fleet Street. | 工作了一生的摄影师 |
[04:19] | To find out more about Jimmy the photographer | 为了更深入地了解摄影师吉米 |
[04:22] | I’ve come to Getty Images to meet the man who runs the archive, | 我来到盖蒂图片社拜访档案馆管理员 |
[04:25] | Matthew Butson. | 马修·巴特森 |
[04:26] | This is the largest commercial archive in the world. | 这是世上最大的商业档案馆 |
[04:29] | There is about 85 million images here on site. | 馆内有大约八千五百万张照片 |
[04:34] | A lot of them we know about | 其中大部分我们都知道 |
[04:35] | because they’re well catalogued. | 因为已经登记分类了 |
[04:37] | But a lot of them we don’t | 也有很多不知道的 |
[04:38] | so we are still finding stuff we didn’t even know we had. | 所以我们还在寻找馆中未登记的作品 |
[04:40] | It’s like an Aladdin’s cave. | 像极了阿拉丁的山洞 |
[04:48] | Most of this stuff is catalogued | 大部分照片已经登记归档 |
[04:50] | so we’ve got the day books, index cards and what have you. | 所以我们有日记簿 索引卡之类的东西 |
[04:54] | I’m wondering how many of Jimmy’s photographs | 我想知道有多少张吉米的作品 |
[04:56] | that have never seen the light of day | 未见天日 |
[04:58] | might lie buried in these racks. | 埋没在这些架子里 |
[05:01] | Sometimes you get continuity problems. | 有时候麻烦不断 |
[05:03] | So you get a run of negatives | 你找到一条底片 |
[05:04] | and then you think, ‘Where has the rest gone?’ | 然后就会想 剩下的哪儿去了 |
[05:06] | They have gone into another collection | 它们被收入了另一本作品集 |
[05:08] | so sometimes it’s like trying to put a jigsaw back together. | 有时就像试着拼拼图 |
[05:11] | So there is gold in them Thar Hills. | 塔尔山里有金子 |
[05:14] | It’s just a case of finding it. | 只要找到就行了 |
[05:15] | It really is in my genre, a detective story. | 就像我的角色一样 侦探故事 |
[05:18] | Absolutely. | 没错 |
[05:18] | – To try and find out. – Definitely. | -努力找到真相 -是啊 |
[05:20] | And an obvious question, did you find any? | 话说回来 你找到了吗 |
[05:23] | – We found a few. – Did you? | -我们找到了一些 -是吗 |
[05:25] | – I think you’ll be interested, yeah. – Really? | -我想你会有兴趣的 -真的吗 |
[05:27] | If you look at the negatives, these are 66 years old. | 看看这底片 有六十六个年头了 |
[05:31] | – Can I just see that? – Beautiful. | -我能看一下吗 -漂亮 |
[05:34] | And that is his photographs? | 那是他拍的照片吗 |
[05:35] | Yeah, and you’ve got the | 是的 照片背面 |
[05:36] | original caption slugs on the back of the contacts. | 还有原始的照片说明 |
[05:41] | “Jarche. Life in Berlin. | 贾歇 柏林生活 |
[05:45] | British soldiers sitting in Hitler’s desk turned upside down.” | 坐在翻倒的希特勒桌子边的英国士兵 |
[05:51] | My goodness. | 天哪 |
[05:52] | And then you see it leads to the actual published story. | 然后可以看到它引出的实际发表的故事 |
[05:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:57] | Wow. Look at the devastation in Berlin. | 哇 看看柏林这片荒芜景象 |
[06:02] | That is one of my favourite in the Reichstag. | 那张是德国国会系列中我的最爱之一 |
[06:05] | That’s a wonderful picture. | 照片真棒 |
[06:06] | Look at how sharp this is. | 看这张多锐利啊 |
[06:08] | He was using available light | 他充分利用了 |
[06:10] | which you can see coming down the stairs | 从楼梯上倾泻下来的 |
[06:12] | from a lamppost or something. | 路灯之类的光 |
[06:14] | If you look at some of the colour work | 如果你观察有些彩色照片 |
[06:17] | that transparency could been taken yesterday. | 那种通透感仿佛昨天才拍的 |
[06:21] | That is an extraordinary picture of George Bernard Shaw. | 乔治·伯纳德·萧伯纳这张照片拍得真好 |
[06:25] | Absolutely pin sharp as well. | 拍得也很清楚 |
[06:27] | George Bernard Shaw used to say, | 乔治·伯纳德·萧伯纳常说 |
[06:29] | “I like you, Jarche, | 我喜欢你 贾歇 |
[06:30] | because you don’t make me look like a white rat.” | 因为你不会让我看上去像只白老鼠 |
[06:36] | He didn’t, did he? | 他不像 对吧 |
[06:38] | I mean that’s a wonderful portrait, isn’t it? | 那是张极好的肖像照 是吧 |
[06:42] | – I’ve not seen that. – It is a fabulous picture. | -我没见过那张 -照得很好 |
[06:45] | Oh, my… Are these all his front page pictures? | 天哪 这些都是他的头版照片吗 |
[06:48] | Yeah, every single one of these. | 是的 每张都是 |
[06:49] | And this is just a smattering. | 这只是一小部分 |
[06:51] | He was a regular on the front page, | 他的作品经常上头版 |
[06:53] | sometimes three weeks out of four in a month. | 有时候一个月里四周有三周都用他的作品 |
[06:57] | That is how highly they regarded him. | 他们就是这么看重他 |
[06:58] | Was he very highly regarded? | 他很受尊重吗 |
[07:00] | I think so. Absolutely. | 我想是的 必须的 |
[07:02] | It just makes me so proud of him. | 他真令我骄傲 |
[07:06] | Look how he got it. Look at this. | 看看他是怎么拍的 看看这张 |
[07:08] | – I know. – Look… | -我知道 -看 |
[07:09] | It’s almost like a veil on her face, isn’t it? | 她的脸上仿佛有个面纱 不是吗 |
[07:10] | Through the tennis racket | 网球拍的影子打在脸上 |
[07:12] | he’s given her a veil. | 仿佛给她戴上了一层面纱 |
[07:14] | That’s not just reportage. | 这不是单纯的新闻摄影 |
[07:15] | No. I think that’s what made Jarche so interesting. | 不是的 这也是贾歇作品耐人寻味的原因 |
[07:18] | He was very versatile in what he captured. | 他拍摄的作品题材多样 |
[07:21] | He covered every gamut of photography. | 涵盖了整个摄影领域 |
[07:24] | Oh, look. The victory portrait of Winston Churchill. | 看这张 温斯顿·丘吉尔的胜利肖像 |
[07:30] | Taken by my grandfather. | 是我的外祖父拍摄的 |
[07:35] | That is a fabulous portrait. | 这是一张非常传神的肖像摄影 |
[07:37] | – Isn’t that great? – Absolutely. | -拍的很好不是吗 -着实不错 |
[07:40] | Oh, beautiful. | 真是太漂亮了 |
[07:43] | What strikes me is | 让我印象最深刻的是 |
[07:43] | all these front covers, they are all people | 这些封面照拍得全是人物 |
[07:46] | and that’s how I remember him. | 和我记忆中的他一模一样 |
[07:48] | He loved people. | 他喜欢和人打交道 |
[07:51] | Look, another one. | 看 又一张 |
[07:53] | Another one. They are people, people, people. | 这个也是 都是人 人 人 |
[07:57] | He was really a people’s photographer. | 他真不愧为一名人民摄影师 |
[08:02] | I am amazed by the quantity and the quality of Jimmy’s work | 马特从盖蒂档案馆深处挖掘出的 |
[08:06] | that Matt has been able to dredge up from the depths of Getty’s archive. | 吉米的作品的数量和质量都深深让我震惊 |
[08:12] | It is a joy to see so many of his images | 能看到如此多从未见过的照片 |
[08:14] | that are totally new to me. | 真是件令人愉悦的事情 |
[08:16] | I’m beginning to form a clearer impression of my grandfather | 脑海中外祖父的形象开始逐渐清晰 |
[08:20] | and the huge body of work he left behind. | 还有那些他留下的巨量作品 |
[08:24] | Jimmy was able to get along with anyone. | 吉米能和任何人相处融洽 |
[08:27] | It was a quality that stood him in good stead as a portrait photographer. | 这种特质使他在拍摄肖像时如鱼得水 |
[08:32] | I find that many of his portraits | 我发现他的许多作品 |
[08:33] | really look beneath the skin to capture the sitter’s character. | 都在探求隐藏在人物外表下的真实性格 |
[08:40] | I’d like to try my hand at doing what he did. | 我也想以他的方式试着拍摄几张作品 |
[08:42] | One more. | 再来一张 |
[08:43] | I’ve been given a few minutes with a series of people in a studio | 我得以在摄影棚里拍摄一群各不相同的人们 |
[08:46] | to capture the essence of who they are and what they do. | 试图捕捉他们的个性和职业的本质 |
[08:50] | That is brilliant. | 真是太棒了 |
[08:54] | A nice, big smile. | 笑得灿烂些 |
[09:00] | Right. | 好的 |
[09:04] | Hold it. | 保持别动 |
[09:07] | Thank you very much. | 非常感谢 |
[09:11] | And a nice smile. | 微笑 |
[09:14] | Now look at me. | 看着我 |
[09:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[09:38] | Hello. How are you? | 嗨 你好啊 |
[09:41] | Sometimes it will say cheese. | 有时候它会说”茄子” |
[09:42] | Oh, good! Yes, you do that. | 挺好的 可以说 |
[09:44] | – Occasionally. – Cheese. | -偶尔的 -茄子 |
[09:54] | Oh, my goodness. | 我的天呐 |
[09:56] | And just look at me down here. | 低头看着我 |
[09:57] | That’s it. | 就这样 |
[10:02] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[10:16] | On the trail of | 追寻着外祖父 |
[10:17] | my press photographer grandfather James Jarche | 新闻摄影师詹姆斯·贾歇的脚步 |
[10:20] | I have come to the Royal Ballet School | 我来到了皇家芭蕾舞学校 |
[10:21] | to see if I can capture something of these talented dancers. | 看看能否为这些才华横溢的舞者拍到好照片 |
[10:30] | Like Jimmy I too get a huge kick from photographing people. | 和吉米一样 我也很享受拍摄人物的乐趣 |
[10:35] | But the difference between us is he was a pro. | 但我俩的差别在于 他可是专业的 |
[10:39] | Photography for me is a passion | 对我而言摄影一项爱好 |
[10:40] | but I have never known how it really feels | 我永远也不会知道 |
[10:42] | to be sent on an assignment | 被派出去执行外拍任务 |
[10:43] | and told don’t come back unless you get the shot. | 并被告知”没有好照片就别回来”会是什么感觉 |
[10:51] | To discuss the rigour involved in getting that shot, | 为了探讨拍出好照片的严苛条件 |
[10:54] | I’ve come to a place | 我来到了一个 |
[10:55] | that’s always prided itself in publishing the world’s top photographers. | 以发布世界顶尖摄影师作品为傲的地方 |
[10:59] | The Sunday Times Magazine. | 星期日时报杂志社 |
[11:02] | I’m here to meet the picture editor, John Jones. | 我要来这里见一位图片编辑 约翰·琼斯 |
[11:05] | John impressed on me | 约翰向我解释了 |
[11:07] | just how important the invention of cameras | 相机的发明 比如我的徕卡 |
[11:09] | like my Leica has been for photojournalism. | 对新闻摄影是有多么的重要 |
[11:13] | This suddenly freed people up to | 现代相机解放了人们 |
[11:15] | run around different angles, | 使人可以从不同的角度 |
[11:17] | and shoot a lot of film, | 拍摄许多张照片 |
[11:19] | as opposed to one shot. | 而不是一次只能拍一张 |
[11:21] | And shoot stories. | 甚至可以拍摄完整的故事 |
[11:23] | Because plate camera | 若用老式干板照相机 |
[11:24] | you couldn’t carry 10, 12, 15, 20 plates. | 你不可能随时带着十张 二十张干板 |
[11:27] | You’d have a couple of plates. | 只能带少量几张 |
[11:29] | That is very interesting. So that small film cameras | 很有意思 若用小型胶卷相机 |
[11:31] | because it has so much film in it, | 因为底片的数量很多 |
[11:32] | you could actually do story photography. | 你就可以拍摄出完整的故事 |
[11:35] | Exactly. For me that is the key thing. | 完全正确 我觉得这才是关键所在 |
[11:37] | Narrative, shooting different shapes, difficult angles. | 从不同的角度 不同的造型 不同的视角 |
[11:41] | Different viewpoints. | 讲述故事 |
[11:42] | It is about breaking down what you see. | 在于把你所见拆分开来 |
[11:45] | If you took all your prints from whatever story you are shooting | 若把你拍摄的故事的所有照片都拿出来 |
[11:49] | and you laid it all out and made your edit, | 全部摊开在桌上开始编辑 |
[11:50] | and you started top left | 你从左上角开始 |
[11:52] | and ran your eye across all the columns. | 一行一行看过来 |
[11:55] | When you get to bottom right | 等你看到右下角的时候 |
[11:58] | you should understand everything about that story. | 你就会了解整个故事的来龙去脉了 |
[12:00] | So rather than looking for the picture that would win a competition every time, | 与其费力拍摄一张能够脱颖而出的照片 |
[12:05] | just go for the story picture. | 不如拍出一个精彩的故事 |
[12:07] | The story. | 故事 |
[12:08] | For me as an editor, we have to lay this out. | 作为一名编辑 我们必须从全局考虑 |
[12:11] | So I have to be able to have the options. | 所以必须得给我足够多的选择 |
[12:14] | Ok, ok. | 好的 |
[12:15] | It doesn’t take much just to turn the camera, and shoot another frame. | 换个不同的角度多拍一张照片也不麻烦 |
[12:19] | And would you worry too much about apperture and this sort of thing? | 你会很在意光圈这些技术参数吗 |
[12:24] | Would you demand that accuracy from me all the time? | 你会要求我所有的照片都曝光准确吗 |
[12:27] | – Yes. – Absolutely? | -是的 -你确定 |
[12:28] | Yes. That is a given. | 是的 这是前提条件 |
[12:32] | You’re not going to make it easy, are you? | 你真不打算放我一马呀 |
[12:36] | With John’s advice in the forefront of my mind | 牢记约翰的建议 |
[12:39] | I am following in the footsteps of one of Jimmy’s most moving picture stories. | 我来到吉米的一组感人组照的拍摄地 |
[12:49] | In the summer of 1931 Jimmy was sent to South Wales | 1931年夏 吉米被派往南威尔士 |
[12:52] | to photograph the mining communities of the Rhondda Valley. | 去拍摄一群罗达谷的矿工 |
[13:01] | This series of mining photographs from 80 years ago | 这组八十年前的矿工照片里 |
[13:04] | contain, for me, some of his most enduring images. | 对我而言 包括了他最经久不衰的几张照片 |
[13:26] | Welsh mining was at the time in the grip of a harsh recession. | 威尔士矿业当时正受到世界经济危机的冲击 |
[13:31] | The stark images that Jimmy captured | 吉米拍摄的照片完全未经修饰 |
[13:34] | are pure social documentary | 是纯粹的社会纪实 |
[13:36] | and take me back into a forgotten world. | 仿佛把我带回了一个被遗忘的世界 |
[14:08] | Come on. | 过来 |
[14:11] | That is all right. He is in the frame. | 这样就好 它在镜头里 |
[14:15] | Lovely. | 太可爱了 |
[14:17] | Do you live here? | 你住在这里吗 |
[14:18] | Yeah, yeah. Up there. | 是啊 就在上面 |
[14:21] | I’ll tell you what. I’m trying to find this. | 我跟你说 我正在找这个 |
[14:23] | I recognise you from somewhere. | 我似乎在哪里见过你 |
[14:25] | – Do you? – Off the telly maybe. | -是吗 -你是电视演员吧 |
[14:27] | – It could be. – What is your name, sorry? | -大概是吧 -你叫什么名字 |
[14:28] | – David Suchet. – I thought it was. | -大卫·苏歇 -和我想的一样 |
[14:30] | How do you do, Mr Suchet? | 你好 苏歇先生 |
[14:31] | Very nice to meet you. What is your name? | 很高兴认识你 怎么称呼 |
[14:33] | – Leighton, Leighton Johnson. – Leighton. | -雷顿 雷顿·约翰逊 -雷顿 |
[14:35] | – And that is… – Max. | -这位是 -马克斯 |
[14:37] | – He is lovely, isn’t he? – Yeah, he is cool boy. | -它真可爱是吧 -对 它可酷了 |
[14:39] | Do you recognise that street? | 你认识这条街吗 |
[14:45] | I don’t. The thing is, they all looked the same. | 不认识 因为房子看起来差不多 |
[14:47] | They had the small gardens in the front | 都是前面有小花园 |
[14:49] | and the toilets then ran all to the back. | 后面盖厕所 |
[14:51] | Oh, these are toilets? | 这些是厕所 |
[14:53] | Yeah, yeah, this used to be where all the toilets were. | 对对 这里过去都是厕所 |
[14:56] | – All of them, yeah. – Right. | -这些都是 -知道了 |
[14:58] | How long ago were these all changed, all this changed? | 这里是什么时候变的 |
[15:02] | I can’t remember. | 我记不清了 |
[15:04] | There used to be up to 16, 17 people living in these houses. | 过去每座房子里最多能住十六七个人 |
[15:07] | – That many? – Yeah, yeah, believe it or not. | -这么多 -对 信不信由你 |
[15:10] | Or so my father-in-law used to tell me. | 我岳父是这么说的 |
[15:12] | Because I gave him a hand to fix the house up and everything. | 因为我帮他修过房子 |
[15:16] | He used to run through the stories | 他总是讲过去的事 |
[15:18] | but they never used to be there at the one time, except on a Sunday. | 不过他们不会同时在家 除了周日 |
[15:21] | On a Sunday that would all gather outside the fire | 在周日他们都会聚在篝火旁 |
[15:23] | and sing songs and all that. | 唱歌之类的 |
[15:25] | – There was quite a community life. – Yeah, yeah. | -真是热闹的社区生活 -是啊 |
[15:28] | All the street get together. | 街坊邻居聚在一起 |
[15:30] | Well, thank you, Leighton, very, very much. | 谢谢你雷顿 非常感谢 |
[15:32] | – Bye-bye. – Goodbye. | -再见 -再见 |
[15:49] | I wonder. | 哎呀 |
[15:51] | I wonder. | 哎呀 |
[15:56] | I think I’ve found it. | 我想我找到了 |
[15:59] | Well, I mean I don’t know for sure but… | 我不敢确定 不过… |
[16:02] | Look, look. | 看 快看 |
[16:05] | There is the front gardens. | 这是前面的花园 |
[16:08] | There is the houses. | 这是房子 |
[16:10] | Here is the road. | 中间是路 |
[16:11] | I think this could be it | 我想可能就是在这 |
[16:13] | and there is a step in the houses | 而且房子中间有处台阶 |
[16:18] | just about here. | 就在前面 |
[16:21] | And Jimmy would been able to stand up on here | 吉米应该是站在这上面 |
[16:25] | to get that. | 拍下了照片 |
[16:26] | I think I’ve found it. | 我想我找到了 |
[16:28] | Oh, hello, I’m David Suchet. | 你好 我是大卫·苏歇 |
[16:30] | Hello, yes. I can see you are. | 你好 当然 我认出你了 |
[16:33] | Now, my grandfather took | 我的外祖父 |
[16:34] | a picture of one of the streets around here. | 给附近的一条小路拍过照片 |
[16:36] | And I just wondered if you would know if this was your street? | 您看看是不是门口这条路 |
[16:40] | Yes, this is our street. Yes. | 对 就是门口这条路 对的 |
[16:42] | – Is it? – Yes. | -是吗 -是的 |
[16:43] | Mrs Ackerman, her daughter Betty. | 阿克曼夫人 她的女儿贝蒂 |
[16:46] | Yeah. | 知道了 |
[16:47] | Her father and her husband. | 她父亲还有她丈夫 |
[16:50] | And that chickens! The number is 18. | 还有鸡 门牌号是十八 |
[16:53] | See the chicken? | 看到鸡了吗 |
[16:55] | Yeah, Mr Owen. | 对 欧文先生 |
[16:57] | – I can remember it. – How long have you lived here? | -我想起来了 -您住在这里多久了 |
[16:59] | – I am 87. – You’re not. | -我八十七了 -看起来不像 |
[17:01] | I am so. I was born here. | 老啦 我在这出生 |
[17:03] | Where were you living at the time of the photograph? | 拍这张照片时您住在哪里 |
[17:05] | – Number five. – You were in number five. | -五号 -您过去住在五号 |
[17:07] | I was born at five. | 我在那里出生 |
[17:09] | – This was your house? – That wasn’t our door, though. | -这过去是您家 -不过不是我们的门 |
[17:11] | No. They have changed the door | 不是 他们换门了 |
[17:13] | but you lived here when this picture was taken. | 不过拍照时您住在这里 |
[17:18] | Did everybody have similar jobs in this area? | 这里每个人都做类似的工作吗 |
[17:21] | Yeah, it was mostly miners. | 对 大部分都是矿工 |
[17:23] | – Were they miners? – Yes. | -他们是矿工吗 -对 |
[17:25] | This this gentleman, was he a miner? | 这位先生 是位矿工吗 |
[17:28] | – I would think so. – They’re all miners. | -我想是的 -他们都是矿工 |
[17:31] | What was your dad? | 您父亲呢 |
[17:32] | – A miner. – He was a miner. | -矿工 -他是矿工 |
[17:35] | – And my husband. – Your husband was a miner? | -还有我丈夫 -您丈夫是矿工 |
[17:38] | I could tell you lots of stories about that house but I won’t. | 我可以讲很多关于房子的事 不过还是算了 |
[17:44] | I know we were forbidden to go there. | 我们不许去那 |
[17:46] | Why, why? | 为什么 |
[17:47] | Don’t you dare go to Mrs Ackerman’s. They’re not very clean. | 不要去阿克曼夫人家 他们可不干净 |
[17:52] | So of course we would always say, “No, we won’t go, Mam.” | 当然我们总是说 “妈妈我们不会去的” |
[17:56] | But of course when Mam went in, we went in. | 不过当妈妈进去 我们自然也要进去 |
[17:59] | And then you saw… Was it just a dirty house, then? | 之后您看到了 仅仅是不干净吗 |
[18:02] | Well… | 怎么说呢 |
[18:03] | Their little boy he said, “Mam, I want to go to the toilet.” | 他们小儿子说 “妈妈 我要上厕所” |
[18:10] | So she said, ‘Oh, it’s raining nasty. | 她说 “雨太大了 |
[18:13] | Go on, have a wee on the mat. | 尿在垫子上吧 |
[18:15] | The fire will dry it!” | 火会烤干的” |
[18:18] | Now, I remember that. | 现在我想起来了 |
[18:20] | – And I was forbidden to go up there. – Are you serious? | -我不许去那 -您说的是真的 |
[18:23] | This was why the house was dirty. | 所以房子才那么脏 |
[18:25] | I wanted to tell my mother and I couldn’t tell her | 我想告诉我妈妈 可我又不能说 |
[18:28] | because she knew I’d been up there if ever told her. | 因为我说了 她就知道我去过那了 |
[18:32] | – You’d have been in trouble. – I would have, yes. | -那您就要有麻烦了 -那是自然 |
[18:34] | So I had to keep it to myself. | 所以我得守住这个秘密 |
[18:37] | Are you ready? Nice smile, then. | 准备好了吗 笑一个 |
[18:41] | That is great. Thank you very, very much. | 好极了 非常非常感谢 |
[18:55] | OK, back further. | 再向后走点 |
[19:04] | That is pretty good to me | 这个位置很好了 |
[19:06] | because if that chimney was growing out the side there, | 因为如果烟囱是在那个位置 |
[19:11] | there is the old road. | 这是过去的道路 |
[19:13] | But it is extraordinary. | 不过这太棒了 |
[19:15] | I mean, I’m virtually standing where Jimmy was. | 我就站在吉米的位置 |
[19:18] | It is very exciting. | 真让人激动 |
[19:24] | I’ve got it. I’ve got it. | 我明白了 我明白了 |
[19:26] | I’ve got to take that away | 我得把它们弄走 |
[19:28] | because that will clear my view | 防止它们挡住镜头 |
[19:30] | that I’ve got to take this picture from here. | 我就可以从这拍照 |
[19:43] | Thank you very, very much. | 非常非常感谢 |
[19:48] | I discovered that in the valleys of South Wales | 我发现在南威尔士的山谷里 |
[19:50] | there has been a recent resurgence in mining. | 采矿业最近开始复兴 |
[19:53] | A number of old pits have opened up | 一些老矿坑被重新开采 |
[19:55] | and mining is an employer here once again for young man | 对于父亲和祖父都在地下采矿的年轻人来说 |
[19:58] | whose fathers and grandfathers worked underground. | 采矿又成了他们的事业 |
[20:02] | Hello. | 你好 |
[20:04] | – How are you, sir? – I’m well, thank you. | -你好吗 先生 -我很好 谢谢 |
[20:06] | How are you? | 您好吗 |
[20:07] | I’m so pleased to know that | 我很荣幸得知 |
[20:08] | your grandfather had taken a picture of my father. | 你的外祖父给我父亲拍过照片 |
[20:12] | You what? He took a picture of your dad? | 您的什么人 他给您的父亲拍过照吗 |
[20:13] | My father, yes. | 我父亲 对的 |
[20:15] | In that… Come and show me. | 在那张… 过来指给我 |
[20:21] | In here? | 在照片里 |
[20:22] | My father was a little man and always worked with the horses. | 我父亲个子不高 总是照顾马匹 |
[20:26] | – Is that your dad? – Yes. That is him. | -这是您爸爸 -对 是他 |
[20:29] | Oh, my goodness. | 天啊 |
[20:31] | My father worked from Penallta | 我父亲从1930年开始 |
[20:33] | from 1930 until he was 69. | 在潘纳塔工作 直到六十九岁 |
[20:36] | There was no retiring age then. | 那时没有退休年龄 |
[20:38] | You worked as long as they wanted to. | 他们让你干多久你就得干多久 |
[20:42] | So in his sixties we made him finish at 65. | 他六十多了 他们让他六十五退休 |
[20:44] | Before then there was men down the pit at 70, sometimes 80. | 之前还有七八十岁的人下矿井 |
[20:50] | Did you work in the pits? | 您在矿井工作吗 |
[20:51] | Yes, I went down the pits, this pit. | 是的 我下矿井 就是这个 |
[20:54] | Come and have a look at this. Look. | 过来看看这个 看 |
[20:58] | That is his dad. | 这是他爸爸 |
[21:00] | I left school I was 14 and went down Penallta pit. | 我十四岁辍学后 到潘纳塔矿井工作 |
[21:05] | Yeah. I was a collier down here from 1939 to 1970. | 从1939年到1970年我都在这里挖煤 |
[21:09] | Is it nice to see your dad like that? | 看到您父亲感觉好吗 |
[21:11] | Yes, yes. | 是啊 是啊 |
[21:12] | What does it make you feel when you see Dad like that? | 看到他您想到了什么 |
[21:14] | Gets me thinking a lot. | 让我想起了很多 |
[21:17] | My father had gone to the 1914 war and back down the pit. | 我父亲参加了一战 之后回到矿井 |
[21:20] | So he had seen a long life, a hard life. | 他活得很久 活得很辛苦 |
[21:24] | This is the number one shaft. | 这是一号通风井 |
[21:27] | One is a downcast. That one. | 一号是向下进风的 那个 |
[21:29] | So the air went down that one, circulated | 空气从这里下去 循环通风 |
[21:33] | and up the upcast at number two. | 从二号通风井排出来 |
[21:35] | And how deep is this? | 这有多深 |
[21:36] | About half a mile. | 大概八百米 |
[21:39] | Really? About half a mile down? | 真的吗 有八百米深吗 |
[21:42] | A tough life? | 生活辛苦吗 |
[21:43] | Hard. Well, these boys know. | 很辛苦 这些小伙子们都知道 |
[21:45] | Is it really tough down there? | 矿井下的工作很辛苦吧 |
[21:46] | Not as bad as it was years ago. | 没有以前那么辛苦 |
[21:48] | No, it is better now. | 是啊 现在已经好多了 |
[21:50] | And how much coal have you produced today? | 那你们今天挖了多少煤呢 |
[21:53] | Hopefully we are looking | 如果一切顺利的话我们希望 |
[21:53] | to produce a million tons a year. Hopefully. | 一年能生产一百万吨煤 希望如此 |
[22:05] | I really didn’t know that mining still existed | 我现在才知道现代矿业的操作模式 |
[22:09] | in the way it existed 50, 60 years ago. | 居然和五六十年前没有多大差别 |
[22:13] | You know, I am witnessing the past in the present. | 我就像是在现在见证过去 |
[22:16] | It is schizophrenic for me. | 简直让人精神分裂 |
[22:18] | To see miners come out in that state, | 看到矿工们出来时的样子 |
[22:22] | it reminds me of so many of my grandfather’s photographs. | 让我想起外祖父曾经拍下的许多照片 |
[22:24] | It hasn’t changed. | 一点都没变 |
[22:25] | Thank you. Thank you very much. | 谢谢 非常感谢 |
[22:28] | How long have you been down the mines? | 您当矿工有多久了 |
[22:30] | 33 years. I started in 1979. | 三十三年 我从1979年开始下矿的 |
[22:35] | In the Britannia mining school of training. | 从不列颠尼亚采矿培训学校开始 |
[22:39] | And all that time. | 一直到现在 |
[22:41] | – And you, how long have you been? – Three weeks. | -那你呢 你开始多久了 -三周 |
[22:43] | – Three weeks! – Yes, just started. | -三周 -没错 刚开始 |
[22:45] | So are you? | 那你们是 |
[22:47] | – Father and son. – You are father and son. | -父子 -你们是父子 |
[22:52] | That is really lovely. | 这真是太棒了 |
[24:49] | I am very familiar with the pictures of my grandfather | 我很熟悉外祖父和艾森豪威尔将军 |
[24:51] | with General Eisenhower and General Montgomery. | 以及和蒙哥马利将军一起拍的照片 |
[24:55] | I know that during the Second World War, | 我知道在二战时期 |
[24:57] | Jimmy was working for both Illustrated and Life Magazine. | 吉米一直为《画报》和《生活杂志》工作 |
[25:01] | But I’ve never had a very precise idea | 但我一直都不清楚 |
[25:03] | of where exactly they sent him with his camera. | 他们到底把他派去了哪里 |
[25:10] | My brother John has experience of war zones | 我的哥哥约翰有过战地经验 |
[25:12] | from his time as a correspondent in Afghanistan. | 他曾在阿富汗做过战地记者 |
[25:15] | But I can only imagine what it takes to be a war photographer. | 但我实在无法想象要如何做一名战地摄影师 |
[25:19] | We decided to visit the archives of the Imperial War Museum | 我们决定去拜访帝国战争博物馆的档案室 |
[25:22] | where assistant curator Rosanna Wilkinson | 副馆长罗赞娜·威尔金森 |
[25:24] | had dug out a heap of Jimmy’s photographs. | 已经整理出一堆吉米的照片等着我们 |
[25:27] | This is a campaign in Libya. Libya, Lebanon. | 这是利比亚的一场战役 利比亚 黎巴嫩 |
[25:30] | Libya. | 利比亚 |
[25:31] | Goodness me. Did you know that Jimmy had been to Libya? | 老天 你知道吉米去过利比亚吗 |
[25:34] | I had no idea. | 不知道 |
[25:36] | This is it. That is the man. There he is. | 是啊 就是这个人 他在这儿 |
[25:39] | – Oh, my goodness. – That is Jimmy. | -我的老天爷 -那是吉米 |
[25:40] | I think that is when he first arrived. | 这应该是他刚到时的照片 |
[25:42] | In March 1941 he immediately set out | 1941年3月他很快出发 |
[25:44] | on the trail of the Australians across the desert. | 追赶沙漠另一边的澳大利亚部队 |
[25:46] | They were fighting for this Italian oasis village of Giarabub. | 他们正在攻打意属绿洲小镇加拉布 |
[25:49] | And he arrived two days after they had taken the village | 他在部队占领小镇两天后抵达 |
[25:52] | and he was there to photograph the Italian dead. | 他在那里拍摄了许多意大利伤亡士兵 |
[25:55] | Those are amongst the first sights he saw when he arrived. | 这些是他刚到达时见到的景象 |
[25:58] | Goodness me. | 天啊 |
[25:59] | Australian soldier finds a bust in bronze of Mussolini | 澳大利亚士兵找到一尊墨索里尼的半身青铜像 |
[26:02] | and wishes it were alive. | 但他更希望找到真人 |
[26:03] | Because he is strangling it. | 因为他正掐着他的脖子 |
[26:06] | I love that. That is great. | 我喜欢那个 真是太棒了 |
[26:08] | Look at that print. | 看那张照片 |
[26:12] | – Italian prisoners. – That is a great photo. | -意大利战俘 -真厉害的照片 |
[26:32] | He’s in North Africa in 1941. When did he go to Burma? | 1941年他在北非 他什么时候去的缅甸 |
[26:34] | He went to Burma in early 1942. | 他1942年去的缅甸 |
[26:36] | The Japanese invaded in early 1942. | 1942年初日本人入侵缅甸 |
[26:39] | That is what he was photographing. | 他被派去那里拍摄 |
[26:40] | So it is 180 mile road | 这些印度难民 |
[26:42] | that they are trying to get Indian refugees going. | 被赶着要走二百九十公里路 |
[26:47] | One photograph that is quite well known. | 有一张照片挺出名的 |
[26:49] | It is a portrait of a Chindit who is using his rucksack | 这是一位缅甸远征军特种部队的士兵 |
[26:52] | – to shield his face from the sun. – Oh, my goodness. | -用他的帆布包遮阳的照片 -天啊 |
[26:54] | And this quite well-known | 这张照片之所以出名 |
[26:55] | because we get a lot of people writing in | 是因为有很多人写信来告诉我们 |
[26:57] | thinking it is a relative. I’ve got quite a few people write in | 这是他们的亲戚 我收到过不少这样的信 |
[27:00] | and they are convinced they can identify this person | 说他们能认出这个士兵的身份 |
[27:02] | and sadly we can’t confirm it because he’s not been identified. | 但很遗憾直到现在都无法确认他的身份 |
[27:05] | That is a wonderful picture. | 这是一张很棒的照片 |
[27:06] | It is, it is. I think it’s a brilliant shot. | 没错 没错 我觉得拍得好极了 |
[27:12] | That is a brilliant picture. | 这张照片太棒了 |
[27:14] | Oh, yeah. See, that’s what I always knew him as. | 没错 我一直都觉得他是很棒的摄影师 |
[27:17] | Oh, my God. | 我的老天啊 |
[27:21] | Oh, that is…that is terrible. | 这 这太可怕了 |
[27:24] | He never spoke to us about any of that, did he? | 他从没对我们提起过这些 对吧 |
[27:26] | No. | 没有 |
[27:28] | The body of a Japanese airman killed with five others | 日本飞行员与另外五人 |
[27:30] | when a bomber was shot down by RAF fighters. | 被英国皇家空军发射的炸弹击中身亡 |
[27:34] | Oh, dear. | 天啊 |
[27:35] | Although it was something that he preferred not to talk about | 尽管这是吉米并不愿提起的一段经历 |
[27:38] | Jimmy had obviously recorded | 但显然他记录下了许多 |
[27:40] | many of the more horrific aspects of war. | 战争残酷的一面 |
[27:43] | In North African and the Far East | 在北非和远东地区 |
[27:45] | he felt the heat of battle | 他感受过战争的热度 |
[27:46] | and experienced what it’s like to be under fire. | 经历过炮火下的生活 |
[27:58] | I’ve joined up with the British Army during training. | 我也加入到训练中的英国陆军中去 |
[28:01] | It’s a simulated battle but it gives me a much clearer idea | 尽管这只是一场演习 但让我更清楚地了解 |
[28:04] | of how it feels to be caught in the thick of things | 在战火中只用徕卡武装自己 |
[28:07] | armed only with a Leica. | 是怎样的感觉 |
[28:20] | The extraordinary thing about this is the adrenaline. | 让人不自觉地肾上腺素激增 |
[28:23] | Ok! | 好了 |
[28:24] | When you look through this | 当你透过镜头看世界时 |
[28:26] | you’re almost immune. You are not aware of the danger. | 你几乎是无敌的 你完全意识不到危险 |
[28:28] | You are sort of removed from it. | 就像与这个世界隔离开一样 |
[28:34] | It’s all happening so quickly | 而且周围的一切运转得太快 |
[28:36] | and you never know if you | 你永远不知道你是否 |
[28:37] | are in the right place at the right time. | 在对的时间到了对的地方 |
[28:39] | You never know if you’ve got anything. | 你永远不知道是否拍到好照片 |
[28:43] | I’ve got to change film. | 我得换胶卷了 |
[28:47] | Keep calm. | 保持冷静 |
[28:48] | Agh. I just lost the film! | 我把胶卷毁了 |
[28:51] | I have just lost this film. | 我居然把胶卷毁了 |
[28:53] | I’ve opened the back and I thought it was wound on. | 我以为胶卷倒好了就打开了后盖 |
[28:59] | Oh, my goodness me. | 我的天啊 |
[29:04] | The language Jimmy might | 如果让吉米 |
[29:05] | have used to describe my performance under fire | 给我在战场上的表现点评一下 |
[29:07] | I suspect would not get past the censor. | 我估计他的用词会过不了电视审查 |
[29:11] | Even though this wasn’t a real fight | 尽管这不是一场真正的战斗 |
[29:13] | I can tell you it’s incredibly hard | 但在炮火纷飞的环境操作相机 |
[29:15] | to operate a camera with gunfire raging about you. | 老实说真的无比艰难 |
[29:19] | It only gives me even more | 这让我更加敬佩 |
[29:20] | respect for Jimmy and all war photographers | 吉米以及所有的战地摄影师 |
[29:23] | who really do go into battle. | 这些真正走上战场的人们 |
[29:40] | Jimmy took an historic photograph here at the Cenotaph | 1937年11月吉米在和平纪念碑下 |
[29:43] | in November 1937. | 拍摄了一幅历史性的照片 |
[29:45] | During the two-minute silence a man ran out screaming. | 在两分钟默哀时 一名男子尖叫着闯出队伍 |
[29:49] | And as the police pounced on him and wrestled him to the ground | 警察迅速上前按倒他 |
[29:52] | just yards from the King, | 离国王只有几步远 |
[29:53] | Jimmy got the shot. | 吉米拍下了这一幕 |
[29:59] | But, look, no-one turns a hair. | 但是 看 没有人有半点惊慌 |
[30:03] | We’ve got Atlee, | 里面有艾德礼[时任英国工党党魁] |
[30:04] | Chamberlain. | 张伯伦[时任英国首相] |
[30:05] | Yes. | 没错 |
[30:06] | And that was a stolen photograph | 这张照片是偷拍的 |
[30:08] | because you’re not allowed to take pictures at that point. | 因为那场合不允许人们拍照 |
[30:12] | And that appeared in The Weekly Illustrated. | 后来这张照片刊登在《星期画报》上 |
[30:15] | Yeah. I had no idea there was an incident of that sort of nature. | 我完全不知道还发生过这样的小插曲 |
[30:43] | Jimmy’s theatre photographs | 吉米的剧场照片 |
[30:45] | are a striking contrast to his images of war. | 和他的战争照片形成了强烈的对比 |
[30:48] | I find these pictures particularly fascinating. | 我觉得这些照片格外吸引人 |
[30:52] | I’m heading backstage to photograph | 我正前往后台去拍摄 |
[30:53] | the cast of the West End musical Wicked. | 西区剧院音乐剧《魔法坏女巫》的演员们 |
[30:57] | As an actor, I know only too well how it feels to be photographed. | 身为演员 我再熟悉不过被拍摄的感觉 |
[31:01] | For me, it’s all about the trust and intimacy | 对我而言 关键在于摄影师和对象之间 |
[31:04] | established between photographer and sitter. | 所建立的信任和亲密感 |
[31:30] | … A couple of months. Thank you very much. Bye-bye. | …好几个月 非常感谢 再会 |
[31:42] | Jimmy took these colour images of a London show | 1944年 吉米为一场伦敦歌剧《紫丁香假面》 |
[31:45] | called The Lilac Domino in 1944. | 拍了这些彩色照片 |
[31:50] | I’m curious to know what a pro feels about them. | 我很好奇专业人士对这些照片作何感想 |
[31:53] | Where is the light source? | 光源在哪里 |
[31:55] | Terry O’Neil, famous for his movie star portraits, | 特里·奥尼尔因拍摄影星肖像闻名 |
[31:58] | began as a press photographer on the same London paper as Jimmy. | 他和吉米曾供职于同一家伦敦报社 |
[32:03] | – It’s like a painting, isn’t it? – It is. | -像画一样 对吧 -确实 |
[32:05] | Sharp as a tack. | 好看极了 |
[32:07] | I mean, you couldn’t beat that today. | 放在现在也是优秀的作品 |
[32:11] | – Look at that. Is that cheeky? – Yes. | -看看 是不是很风情 -没错 |
[32:14] | That was very risque at the time. | 当时算是非常伤风败俗 |
[32:15] | – Wasn’t it? – I mean, how do you bring out your subjects when you… | -不是吗 -怎样才能让被摄对象真情流露呢 |
[32:20] | Well, I mean, I prefer to be totally ignored. | 我可能会让她彻底忽视我的存在 |
[32:23] | Literally, just sort of… Just be invisible. That’s the best thing. | 当个隐形人 这是最好的方式 |
[32:25] | What is the most difficult portrait you’ve ever had to take? | 你拍过的肖像 哪次最困难 |
[32:28] | Oh, God. Ageing sex symbols. | 老天 《尤物迟暮》 |
[32:31] | – Ageing sex symbols? – Yeah. As they get older. | -《尤物迟暮》吗 -对 他们老去以后 |
[32:33] | – Seriously? – Yeah. | -真的吗 -是 |
[32:35] | I mean, Raquel Welch, she happens to be a friend of mine. | 拉寇儿·薇芝恰好是我朋友 |
[32:37] | But in the begining she’d be half an hour. | 开始时 拍她可能只要半小时 |
[32:41] | When she was 30, she’d be an hour. | 等到她三十岁 就要一个小时了 |
[32:43] | 40 – two hours, | 四十岁 两个小时 |
[32:45] | and 50 – three hours, and so on. | 五十岁 三个小时 以此类推 |
[32:48] | I mean, they are a nightmare. | 他们简直是噩梦 |
[32:50] | They think they’d let people down, | 他们认为不这样就会让人们失望 |
[32:54] | which in a sense they do | 某种程度上是 |
[32:55] | but you can’t defy nature, can you? | 但没人能抵抗自然规律不是 |
[32:57] | – No. – No. | -不能 -是不能 |
[32:59] | And that’s great as well. | 这张也很棒 |
[33:01] | I’d love to have met him. | 我真希望以前能结识他 |
[33:07] | Jimmy was always very comfortable photographing Hollywood glamour. | 吉米拍摄好莱坞影星总是得心应手 |
[33:12] | And more importantly he made them feel comfortable. | 更重要的是 他让他们觉得自在 |
[33:24] | Just like that. | 就是那样 |
[33:26] | Tha’t it. I’m just gonna… Just focus, darling. | 就是这感觉 注意力集中 亲爱的 |
[33:35] | Making a portrait of a performer is one thing. | 为演员拍摄肖像是一码事 |
[33:38] | Shooting a performance in motion is another skill altogether. | 拍摄进行中的表演又完全是另一门技巧了 |
[33:56] | That’s fantastic. Hold that. | 太美妙了 保持 |
[34:04] | OK, continue that. | 很好 继续 |
[34:06] | Great. | 太棒了 |
[34:07] | Great. | 很棒 |
[34:18] | Oh, great, this is fantastic. | 这下好了 |
[34:20] | I don’t know how I’m going to get anything at all. | 我觉得完全没法拍了 |
[34:43] | Bravo! | 大赞 |
[34:46] | I’ve literally been looking at the world through Jimmy’s lens | 过去几周里 我切切实实地 |
[34:49] | these past few weeks. | 通过吉米的镜头看着世界 |
[34:50] | While on the same sort of assignments | 我正执行的任务 |
[34:52] | that his editor might have sent him on. | 也和他的编辑可能交给他的类似 |
[34:54] | But I’d still love to be able to photograph someone | 但我还是很希望能拍摄一些 |
[34:56] | that Jimmy actually photographed. | 吉米真的拍摄过的人 |
[34:59] | Amazingly, I’ve managed to find them. | 让我惊喜的是 我设法找到了他们 |
[35:02] | And remarkably, they are still doing the same job. | 更神奇的是 他们还做着一样的工作 |
[35:06] | Jimmy said that in his early days | 吉米早年曾说过 |
[35:08] | if you could get within 30 yards of royalty, | 如果能与女王陛下距离不到三十米 |
[35:11] | you were a first class photographer. | 你就是一流的摄影师 |
[35:13] | To him, it was all about access. | 对他而言 关键是机会 |
[35:19] | Jimmy photographed the Queen even before she became queen. | 吉米在女王登基前就拍摄过她 |
[35:23] | He photographed her at her coronation. | 最早是在她的加冕礼上 |
[35:25] | And many times afterwards too. | 之后还有很多次 |
[35:28] | During his lifetime he saw the formal relationship | 终其一生 他见证了王室和媒体 |
[35:31] | between the press and the palace relax enormously. | 之间的紧张关系大幅缓解 |
[35:35] | But to be up so close photographing the Queen | 如此近距离地拍摄女王 |
[35:38] | with Jimmy’s old Leica is really momentous for me. | 手中还握着吉米的旧徕卡 对我意义非凡 |
[35:41] | I can hear him on my shoulder. | 我甚至能听到他在对我耳语 |
[35:44] | “In there, boy. Keep it steady. | “专注 孩子 握平稳 |
[35:46] | “Keep it sharp. Get the shot.” | 对准焦 按快门” |
[35:56] | Any decent press photographer | 每个像样的摄影记者 |
[35:57] | must have what it takes to get the scoop. | 都必须有挖独家新闻的手段 |
[36:00] | They probably need a pretty thick skin | 大概得脸皮够厚 |
[36:02] | and very often the gift of the gab | 口才够好 |
[36:04] | to get behind the closed doors of powerful institutions. | 才能敲开权力部门紧闭的大门 |
[36:08] | On many occasions, | 有好几次 |
[36:09] | Jimmy managed to gain incredibly privileged access | 吉米都设法搞来十分难得的机会 |
[36:12] | to capture intimate, behind the scenes moments with Prime Ministers. | 为各任首相拍摄了许多私密的生活照 |
[36:17] | Labour Prime Minister Clement Attlee at home in Stanmore. | 工党首相克莱门特·艾德礼在斯丹摩尔的家中 |
[36:21] | Liberal Prime Minister David Lloyd George in Churt. | 自由党首相大卫·劳合·乔治在切特 |
[36:24] | And Conservative Prime Minister Winston Churchill. | 以及保守党首相温斯顿·丘吉尔 |
[36:29] | It’s amazing to me that Jimmy managed to achieve | 我很讶异 吉米居然获准拍摄 |
[36:31] | such relaxed cooperation with these past leaders. | 这些前领导人如此悠闲惬意的一面 |
[36:35] | His is a pretty hard act to follow. | 想要追随他的脚步 十分不易 |
[36:38] | But now it’s my moment to see what I can pull out of the bag. | 现在要看我能拍出什么样的照片了 |
[36:44] | – Prime Minister. – David, welcome. | -首相先生 -大卫 欢迎 |
[36:46] | – Thank you. – Great to have you here. | -谢谢 -很高兴你来到这里 |
[36:48] | This is a fantastic picture. | 这是一张十分出色的照片 |
[36:49] | This is the Karsh picture of Churchill. | 这是卡什[著名摄影师]拍摄的丘吉尔 |
[36:52] | Apparently he took ages trying to get the right shot. | 显然他花了大量时间琢磨如何拍出理想效果 |
[36:54] | Churchill was puffing this cigar all the way through. | 丘吉尔全程都在抽雪茄 |
[36:57] | The moment he got the shot | 他按下快门的一瞬间 |
[36:58] | was he pulled the cigar out of his mouth | 出其不意把雪茄从他嘴里拔了出来 |
[37:00] | and Churchill made this angry face. | 丘吉尔满脸愤怒 |
[37:02] | That was the bulldog picture that helped to inspire the nation. | 正是这张”斗牛犬照”鼓舞了全国人民 |
[37:06] | – It’s a great picture, isn’t it? – Great picture. | -拍的真好 是吧 -非常好 |
[37:09] | Jimmy got this one. It was the victory picture. | 吉米拍了这张 胜利之照 |
[37:13] | That’s fantastic. And actually, amazingly, that looks clear. | 太棒了 神奇的是非常清晰 |
[37:16] | That’s not the brandy you’d expect. | 这杯白兰地挺出乎意料的 |
[37:19] | It’s quite interesting. | 很有趣 |
[37:21] | – That’s true. – It’s caught, but it’s a very good picture. | -确实 -是抓拍的 但拍得非常不错 |
[37:24] | We’ll wander up the stairs and I’ll show you some of the others. | 我们慢慢上楼来 给你看些其他人的照片 |
[37:27] | This is a great place to come and see Prime Ministerial pictures. | 确实是个参观首相照片的好地方 |
[37:30] | They don’t put your picture up till you’ve gone, that’s the only… | 等你离任后 他们才会把照片放上来 |
[37:33] | I mean, you’ve been photographed thousands of times. | 你被拍摄了上千次 |
[37:35] | What’s it like being photographed? | 感觉如何 |
[37:37] | Are you ever worried about what they might catch or not catch? | 担心过他们拍到什么或漏掉什么吗 |
[37:37] | · · | 亚 瑟 内 维 尔 张 伯 伦 |
[37:40] | When you walk under the sign saying exit or… | 当你走到”出口”标志下 |
[37:44] | Sometimes there’s suddenly a flurry of clicks | 突然响起 一阵此起彼伏的快门声 |
[37:47] | and you think, “What was it behind me?” and you have a look. | 就会想”身后什么情况” 然后回头看 |
[37:50] | But I had one great moment where I got one over the photographers | 摄影师曾经错过了我的一个非常难得的瞬间 |
[37:52] | where I was in the underground in Delhi. | 当时我在德里的地铁中 |
[37:57] | I was standing in front of a model of the drill | 站在一个钻机模型前 |
[37:59] | that had helped to drill out the Delhi underground. | 这台钻机曾钻出了德里的地铁隧道 |
[38:01] | The sign in front of the drill said, | 钻机前的标志上写着 |
[38:03] | “this is the international Boring Machine”. | “这是一台国际隧道掘进机”[国际超烦机] |
[38:05] | But the trouble was, that was on my side, not the press side. | 但问题是 我是这么想 媒体可不这么想 |
[38:08] | So I said, this is what you’re missing out on! | 于是我说 这就是你们没拍到的 |
[38:10] | You’ll never get that picture! | 这机会再也没有了 |
[38:13] | That was great! | 很棒的经历 |
[38:15] | – So these are the last… – Oh, look! | -这就是最后… -看 |
[38:17] | So this is the last few. | 这就是最后几张 |
[38:18] | Apparently Jim Callaghan did put up when he left a colour picture, | 吉姆·卡拉汉留了张彩照 挂过一阵子 |
[38:23] | – because he wanted to start a new trend. – Here? | -因为想开启新潮流 -在这里吗 |
[38:26] | He put up a colour picture and then Margaret Thatcher said, | 他挂了张彩照 后来撒切尔夫人说 |
[38:28] | ‘We’re not having any of that,’ | 这里绝不挂彩色照片 |
[38:30] | so the colour picture went and this one went up instead. | 所以那张彩照被取下 换上了这张黑白的 |
[38:34] | Perfect. And now right to me. | 好极了 现在转过来看镜头 |
[38:47] | I’m heading across London | 现在我正穿过伦敦 |
[38:48] | to Robin Bell’s photographic lab, | 到罗宾·贝尔的摄影工作室去 |
[38:51] | where everything’s still done the traditional way. | 他那里依然使用传统方法冲洗相片 |
[38:54] | With all the nerves of an expectant parent, | 像期待孩子降生的父母 |
[38:57] | I’m anxious to see how the photographs | 我紧张又迫不及待地想看看 |
[38:58] | I’ve taken these past few weeks have turned out. | 这几星期拍的照片效果如何 |
[39:02] | I’m not sure what the chronology of it all is. | 我不太清楚里面的时间顺序 |
[39:06] | It doesn’t matter. | 没关系 |
[39:08] | Go through them and see what you think. | 你先看一遍吧 |
[39:10] | Have a first impression. | 看看感觉如何 |
[39:12] | – Oh, they’re all exposed right! – They are. | -谢天谢地 它们都曝光正常 -是的 |
[39:14] | They’re technically really, really good, honestly. | 就技术层面上来说 真的非常棒 |
[39:18] | The mining ones are fantastic. | 矿工的那组照片尤其令人赞叹 |
[39:19] | I’ve had a look through. They’re really strong. | 我已经看过一遍了 它们令人印象深刻 |
[39:23] | Oh, I love… I really do like that one. | 我真的爱死这张了 |
[39:27] | – Is this a recreation of…? – That is… | -这是不是翻拍 -没错 |
[39:29] | That’s a recreation of Jimmy’s picture. | 这是对吉米作品的翻拍 |
[39:31] | Oh, my God! | 我的天呐 |
[39:34] | I really can’t believe it and… | 我真不敢相信 |
[39:37] | It’s quite a moment, isn’t it? | 令人百感交集 不是吗 |
[39:40] | Why should I find it so emotional? | 我怎么会这么激动呢 |
[39:43] | Cos you did it. You did it. | 因为你做到了 你做到了 |
[39:45] | You cracked it, everything you set out to do. | 你做到了想做的事 |
[39:47] | Have a look at some more. | 再看看其他的吧 |
[39:50] | Have a look at some more. | 来继续看看其他的 |
[39:53] | That’s super. | 不可思议 |
[39:55] | I’m sure this is beginner’s luck. I’m sure of it. | 这一定是新手的运气 一定是的 |
[39:58] | I think Jimmy was on my shoulder. | 我觉得吉米一直就在我身边 |
[40:00] | I think he did these for me. | 他借我之手拍下了这些照片 |
[40:02] | I don’t think it’s anything to do with me. | 而我不过是这一切的见证者 |
[40:06] | Back at The Sunday Times Magazine, | 回到星期日时报杂志社 |
[40:08] | John Jones casts an experienced editor’s eye | 约翰·琼斯正以主编的专业眼光 |
[40:11] | over my photographs. | 审阅我的照片 |
[40:15] | Lot of space up here. | 这里有很大一块空白 |
[40:16] | Yes. That’s for your caption. | 是的 那是留给你放标题的 |
[40:18] | OK, so the cover lines | 对 像封面语什么的 |
[40:21] | and all that kind of stuff all go on there, OK. | 可以都放在这里 |
[40:27] | – Not sure it works lying down like that. – No. | -这么躺着拍不太适合 -嗯 |
[40:33] | That was shot in 1931. | 这张摄于1931年 |
[40:36] | This is the modern equivalent but the past is still there. | 这是现代的翻拍版 但背景依然一样 |
[40:39] | Yeah, I know, it’s fantastic. | 我明白 这种感觉神奇又微妙 |
[40:41] | I think these then and now are always a nice idea. | “当年今日”一直都是个很好的主题 |
[40:45] | Especially with the connection that you have. | 特别是你和詹姆斯之间还有着特殊的纽带 |
[40:48] | – Like that. – Thank you. | -我很喜欢 -谢谢 |
[40:55] | That’s really nice. Like that. | 这张真棒 我喜欢这张 |
[40:58] | – Would you use any? – I would use that. | -这里面有你中意的吗 -我会选这张 |
[41:01] | – Would you? – I think if we were doing a… | -是吗 -我想如果我们 |
[41:04] | an interview with him… | 对他进行采访的话 |
[41:06] | I think it’s an accomplished portrait of him. | 这将会是张完美的肖像 |
[41:10] | That The Sunday Times might even publish one of my photographs | 在此之前 我从来不敢想象 |
[41:13] | isn’t something I’d ever imagined before now. | 星期日时报会刊登我的作品 |
[41:16] | I’m sure that, while Jimmy would keep me in my place, | 如果我是吉米的话 |
[41:19] | he too would be secretly chuffed for his grandson. | 一定也会暗自为他的孙子高兴 |
[41:24] | I think that by re-examining Jimmy’s work | 这几个星期里 我带着吉米的相机 |
[41:26] | and taking his camera out of its case these past couple of weeks, | 四处奔走 重新审视了他的作品 |
[41:30] | I’ve somehow learnt an enormous amount from him again. | 这段经历让我又一次从他身上获益良多 |
[41:33] | I’ve always loved his images. | 我爱他镜头下的影像 |
[41:35] | Of course I have – I’m biased. | 这点毋庸置疑 我偏爱着他 |
[41:37] | But I’m really keen to know | 但我依然很想知道 |
[41:39] | how the experts view him today. | 现在的专家是如何评价他的 |
[41:41] | Armed with a folio of Jimmy’s photographs, | 我带着一沓吉米的摄影作品 |
[41:44] | I’m on my way to the Michael Hoppen Gallery in Chelsea | 来到切尔西的迈克尔·霍本画廊 |
[41:44] | 迈克尔·霍本 画廊 | |
[41:47] | to meet four people who are top players in the world of photography. | 来见四位摄影界的顶级专家 |
[41:51] | Curators Sue Bucklow and Colin Ford, | 策展人苏·巴克洛和科林·福特 |
[41:54] | former Sunday Times art director Michael Rand, | 星期日时报的前艺术总监迈克·兰德 |
[41:57] | and gallery owner Michael Hoppen. | 以及画廊主人迈克尔·霍本 |
[42:00] | There’s a very, very tender eye, isn’t there? | 他的视角非常细腻动人 不是吗 |
[42:03] | Well, I think this contrast between the miners – | 看这两个矿工之间形成的对比 |
[42:06] | and look how young one of them is – the blackness of their faces. | 其中一个还如此年轻 他们都一脸煤黑 |
[42:08] | There’s a picture by Bill Brandt, great 20th-century name, | 二十世纪著名摄影师比尔·布兰德 |
[42:12] | who’s very, very similar to this. | 他拍的一张照片和这个非常相似 |
[42:15] | But because he had this sort of arty reputation, | 但因为他在业界名气更大 |
[42:17] | we know the Brandt | 所以我们只知道布兰德 |
[42:19] | and we don’t know the Jarche. | 却不识得贾歇 |
[42:20] | It’s just as good, isn’t it? | 但这张作品同样优秀 不是吗 |
[42:22] | Yeah, it is, definitely. | 没错 这毋庸置疑 |
[42:23] | All the elements of the picture are in exactly the right place. | 画面里的各种要素都拿捏得恰到好处 |
[42:26] | If I was Jimmy and coming to your paper, | 如果我是吉米 来到你们杂志社 |
[42:29] | and I said I think I’ve got a front page… | 告诉你们我手头有猛料 |
[42:32] | and I showed you this… | 然后给你们看这个 |
[42:38] | Golly, I’d forgotten that was his photograph. | 天呐 我都忘了这是他拍的 |
[42:40] | That’s interesting, that photograph. | 这是张很有意思的照片 |
[42:42] | If it was 1937, I’d say thanks very much. | 如果现在是1937年 我会说太谢谢你了 |
[42:46] | Who’s that bird with the Prince of Wales? | 威尔士亲王身旁的那位小美女是谁呀 |
[42:50] | But that’s the genuine paparazzi scoop of the day. | 这在当时 绝对是狗仔队的重磅独家新闻 |
[42:53] | But did that not make his name? | 但他没有因此成名吗 |
[42:54] | It would today, yes, absolutely. | 如果是今天 他绝对会由此成名的 |
[42:57] | Well, we’re in the days of celeb now | 我们生活在一个充满名人的时代 |
[42:59] | and I think if I’d have taken that picture, | 如果是我拍了这张照片 |
[43:02] | I would have probably been known quicker as a photographer | 我很可能早在年轻时就成为一个著名摄影师 |
[43:04] | than I was as an actor at a younger age. | 而不用做个演员摸爬滚打这么久了 |
[43:06] | Because I think I would have been credited with that today. | 我相信这在今天是完全有可能的 |
[43:08] | I think it’s a whole different… | 现在和当时境况大不相同 |
[43:10] | You’d earn a lot more. | 但你做演员赚得多多了 |
[43:11] | I’d earn a lot more, wouldn’t I! | 没错 我是赚得更多 |
[43:13] | Thank you very much, Michael! | 非常感谢你 迈克尔 |
[43:15] | But when Fergie was caught on… 791 | 但菲姬[黑眼豆豆主唱]也被拍到过 |
[43:18] | that photographer got a million dollars for that picture. | 那个摄影师把那张照片卖了一百万美元 |
[43:21] | I’m not saying he hadn’t been up the tree for a day | 先不说他是否在树上守了一整天 |
[43:23] | but that’s serious money. | 但他确确实实赚了那么多钱 |
[43:25] | That I think is my favourite. | 我想我最喜欢那张 |
[43:26] | I think I’ve not seen that one. | 我还从没见过那张照片呢 |
[43:27] | – That’s a… – That’s a contemporary work of art. | -这真是 -这绝对是当代艺术的杰作 |
[43:31] | – That’s absolutely brilliant. – Absolutely amazing. | -这真是太棒了 -实在令人惊叹 |
[43:32] | If we were selecting things for the gallery, | 如果要我们为画廊挑选藏品的话 |
[43:35] | – we’d go for that one. – Is it Really? | -我们一定会选这张 -真的吗 |
[43:37] | Yeah. It makes me think of Brassai | 是的 看到这张照片 |
[43:39] | and people when I look at that. | 让我想起布拉塞这样的摄影师 |
[43:41] | It’s fantastic. | 真的很棒 |
[43:42] | I’m both terrified and excited by what I’ve seen, | 今日所见令我兴奋又后怕 |
[43:46] | because the fact is, of course, | 二十世纪的摄影界群星璀璨 |
[43:48] | we have a pantheon of the great 20th-century photographers. | 有如万神殿中诸神齐聚 |
[43:51] | The Cartier Bressons, the Kerteszs, | 像是卡地亚·布列松 像柯特兹 |
[43:53] | the Capras, the people like that. | 还有卡帕 |
[43:56] | And whereas I’m not sure that | 尽管我不确定 |
[43:57] | I’m ready to put Jarche in that pantheon yet, | 贾歇是否算作其中的一员 |
[44:00] | but suddenly looking at these I think wow! | 但当我突然看到这些照片 我想他绝对是的 |
[44:03] | I’ve spent most of my career | 我职业生涯的大部分时间里 |
[44:05] | curating shows of great photographic artists. | 都在为伟大的摄影艺术家们筹备影展 |
[44:07] | Why haven’t I looked at this man before? | 为什么我之前都没有注意过他呢 |
[44:11] | To hear him… | 听着你们 |
[44:12] | praised by you… | 对他作为摄影师 |
[44:14] | as a photographer… | 所给予的高度评价 |
[44:16] | What you have found | 我感觉 |
[44:18] | by looking at his work is… | 你们透过他的作品看到的 |
[44:22] | the man. The man I knew. | 是那个我所熟悉的他 |
[44:26] | And that’s incredibly moving for me. | 这让我非常感动 |
[44:30] | I was just thinking now if he was there… | 我刚刚在想 如果他现在就站在那儿 |
[44:33] | listening to this… | 听着我们的谈话 |
[44:35] | I think Jimmy will have gone… | 他一定会说 |
[44:40] | He was a big man, don’t forget. He would have gone… | 要知道他是个高大庄重的人 他可能会说 |
[44:44] | ‘Thank you very much. I really didn’t expect that.’ | “谢谢您的夸奖 我不曾想能得此谬赞” |
[44:47] | And if he’d met me at the bottom of the stairs, | 而等他走到楼梯底下和我碰头后 |
[44:49] | he’d probably go, ‘Yes!’ | 很可能就变成了”哦耶” |
[45:01] | Two weeks after we’d completed our main filming, | 在主要拍摄工作结束两周后 |
[45:04] | Jimmy’s work was up on the walls of a London gallery – | 吉米的作品被挂上了伦敦一家画廊的展壁 |
[45:07] | a place it had not been seen for more than 30 years. | 这距离上一次展出 已有三十年之久 |
[45:13] | Forgotten images that had languished in archives | 那些被遗忘尘封在档案馆里的影像 |
[45:15] | and many that had never before seen the light of day | 和许多未曾问世的相片 |
[45:18] | had been printed up and were now on show for the first time. | 现在都被印了出来 进行首次展出 |
[45:35] | The range and quality of Jimmy’s work | 无论从题材还是质量上看 |
[45:37] | was a genuine discovery – | 吉米的作品都是个价值不菲的发现 |
[45:39] | not only for me, it seems, but for many photographic enthusiasts, | 不单是我 对许多摄影爱好者和专家们来说 |
[45:43] | and experts, too. | 似乎也是如此 |
[45:46] | Jimmy’s photography was alive again. | 吉米的摄影在这里重获了新生 |