时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | Okay, okay, please, please, take your seats. | 好了 好了 请坐下 |
[00:08] | Leave your booklets closed | 不要打开试卷 |
[00:10] | and your pencils down until I tell you to begin. | 在我说开始之前不要动笔 |
[00:43] | Principal MacDonald? | 麦克唐纳校长 |
[00:45] | Yeah, come on in. | 请进 |
[00:48] | These are the exams from first period. | 这些是第一场考试的试卷 |
[00:51] | Thanks, Lacey. Uh, any irregularities? | 谢谢 蕾西 有什么违规情况吗 |
[00:56] | What? | 怎么了 |
[00:59] | Tyler Young. | 泰勒·杨 |
[01:00] | I got him admission and a scholarship | 我帮他拿到了明年哈德森学院的 |
[01:02] | up at Hudson College next year. | 录取和奖学金 |
[01:05] | It’s contingent upon these scores, and… | 这取决于他的成绩 |
[01:08] | if he fails… | 如果他没及格 |
[01:12] | Is there any way I could look at his test? | 有什么办法能让我看到他的试卷吗 |
[01:18] | By law… I have to certify | 按法律的规定 我得保证 |
[01:20] | that I’ve locked these tests in a safe | 在考试结束后五分钟内 |
[01:23] | no later than ten minutes | 就将这些试卷 |
[01:25] | after the conclusion of the exam. | 放进保险箱里 |
[01:27] | No one can see them | 在考试服务处的快递员 |
[01:29] | or touch them | 早上将试卷 |
[01:31] | until the courier from the testing service | 拿走之前 没人能够看到它们 |
[01:35] | picks them up in the morning. | 或者接触它们 |
[01:38] | But what happens | 但在我离开之后 |
[01:40] | after I leave for the day… | 发生了些什么 |
[01:44] | well, I wouldn’t know about that. | 我就不知道了 |
[02:09] | Can I help you? | 有什么事吗 |
[02:17] | No. | 没事 |
[02:21] | Yeah, um… | 有 |
[02:23] | I need one test. | 我要一份试卷 |
[02:25] | Tyler Young. | 泰勒·杨的 |
[02:26] | I must say, Marissa, | 我不得不说 玛丽莎 |
[02:28] | you look absolutely beautiful. | 你看起来真美 |
[02:30] | But I’m sure Kyle’s already told you that. | 但我肯定凯尔早就说过了 |
[02:31] | Yes. He told me I looked beautiful in the shower. | 是的 他在我淋浴的时候说我看起来很美 |
[02:34] | Told me I looked beautiful in my underwear. | 在我穿内衣的时候说我看起来很美 |
[02:36] | And then he told me I looked beautiful in my dress. | 在我穿上连衣裙后说我看起来很美 |
[02:38] | I couldn’t help but notice his | 我不得不注意到 |
[02:40] | sense of conviction diminishing the more clothes I put on. | 我穿得越多 他反而变得越不那么确定了 |
[02:42] | Hmm, men. What’s our problem? | 男人嘛 我们的问题是什么 |
[02:45] | Why are we here again? | 我们为什么又来这里了 |
[02:47] | I thought you swore last year you were never coming back. | 我记得你去年发誓说不再来这里了 |
[02:49] | And I meant it. Oh, wait a second. | 我当时说的是真的 等等 |
[02:51] | Is this the mayor’s annual “You Scratch My Back, | 这是市长一年一度的 “你帮了我 |
[02:53] | I Have No Idea Who You Are Fundraising Gala”? | 但我不知道你是谁慈善募捐晚会”吗 |
[02:57] | Don’t you think you’ve had enough? | 你不觉得你已经受够了吗 |
[02:58] | – Astonishingly, no. – Come on, folks. | – 令人惊讶的是 我没有 – 来吧 大家 |
[03:01] | I can still hear this guy’s voice. | 我还能听进这家伙的讲话 |
[03:02] | …into our kids’ college funds. | 投入孩子们的大学基金中 |
[03:03] | Now here’s a truly New York experience: | 现在拍卖的是一段在纽约的真实体验 |
[03:06] | a private carriage ride through Central Park | 与霍普金斯市长本人一起乘马车 |
[03:08] | with Mayor Hopkins herself. | 穿过中央公园的机会 |
[03:10] | What do you say we kick this one off | 你们认为这次体验起价两千美元 |
[03:12] | at $2,000? | 如何 |
[03:14] | $2,000, anyone? | 两千美元 有人要拍吗 |
[03:16] | Oh, God. | 天呐 |
[03:17] | – Hey, what are you doing? – Someone’s got to have $2,000. | – 你干什么 – 肯定有人不缺这两千美金 |
[03:19] | It’s worth two grand to shut this guy up. | 值得花两千美元让这个家伙闭嘴 |
[03:20] | It’s practically a steal. | 这简直就是偷来的机会 |
[03:21] | $2,000, from the gentleman | 这位戴眼镜的先生 |
[03:23] | in the glasses. Now do I see three? | 出价两千 有人出三千吗 |
[03:26] | – Auction over. – $3,000? | – 竞拍结束 – 三千吗 |
[03:27] | $3,000, in the back. | 后排有人出三千 |
[03:29] | Now do I hear four? | 现在有人出四千吗 |
[03:31] | Do I hear four? Do I hear four? | 有人出四千吗 有人出四千吗 |
[03:33] | – Hey, what are you doing? – I know when | – 你干什么 – 我知道什么时候抽身而退 |
[03:35] | to bow out, I’m just gonna run the price up. | 我只是在抬高竞价 |
[03:37] | $4,000, from the man in the glasses. | 戴眼镜的先生出四千 |
[03:39] | I can’t believe this. | 我简直不敢相信 |
[03:41] | $5,000 in the back, now. Do I hear six? | 后面有人出五千 现在 有人出六千吗 |
[03:43] | We’ve got six. | 他又出了六千 |
[03:45] | Thank you, Clark Kent. | 谢谢你 克拉克·肯特 |
[03:46] | Is there a seven to be had? | 有人出七千吗 |
[03:48] | Do I hear seven? | 有人出七千吗 |
[03:50] | Seven. Do I hear eight? $8,000? | 七千 有人出八千吗 八千呢 |
[03:52] | – Bull, stop. – Trust me, I know when to get out. | – 布尔 停下 – 相信我 我知道何时退出 |
[03:54] | – This is my last bid. – Eight, anyone? $8,000! | – 这是最后一次举牌 – 八千 各位 八千 |
[03:56] | Can I get nine? In the back. | 有人出九千吗 后面有人 |
[03:59] | $9,000. $9,000 once, | 九千 九千一次 |
[04:02] | $9,000 twice, sold to the man in the back | 九千两次 以九千美元的价格卖给 |
[04:07] | for $9,000. | 后排的先生 |
[04:07] | See? | 看见了吧 |
[04:09] | Do I know what I know or do I know what I know? | 是我自以为是还是我心中有数 |
[04:12] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[04:16] | Ladies and gentlemen, Your Honor the mayor | 女士们先生们 市长阁下 |
[04:19] | was so moved by this outpouring of generosity | 被这无限的慷慨所感动 |
[04:21] | that she has agreed to take time for two | 她同意进行两次 |
[04:24] | carriage rides. | 马车出游 |
[04:26] | One to the man in the back for $9,000, | 一次给出九千的后排的先生 |
[04:28] | and to the gentleman in the glasses for eight. | 一次给出八千的戴眼镜的先生 |
[04:31] | Oh, yeah… | 好吧 |
[04:36] | Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 |
[04:38] | Dr. Jason Bull? | 杰森·布尔博士 |
[04:41] | Dr. Bull? | 布尔博士 |
[04:43] | John Powers. Chief of staff for Mayor Hopkins. | 我叫约翰·鲍尔斯 霍普金斯市长的幕僚长 |
[04:45] | Thanks so much for jumping in out there. | 谢谢你竞拍时的踊跃参加 |
[04:47] | Page Six would’ve had a field day if we couldn’t | 如果我们无法拍出与市长园游的体验的话 |
[04:49] | sell a stroll through the park with Her Honor. | 第六页上写着会开一场运动会 |
[04:52] | Happy to do it. In fact, | 我很高兴拍下它 事实上 |
[04:53] | nothing gives me greater pleasure than writing a check | 没有什么比为我不需要的东西写张支票 |
[04:55] | for something I really don’t need. | 更能让我高兴的了 |
[04:59] | Truth is, I was wondering | 实际上 我在想 |
[05:01] | if I could impose on you for, uh, | 我能够再让你做件事吗 |
[05:03] | one more thing? You’ve heard about | 你听说过 |
[05:04] | the cheating scandal in the Bronx? | 布朗克斯区的作弊丑闻吗 |
[05:07] | Oh, yeah, last summer… the teachers fixing tests? | 听说了 去年夏天 有老师改答案吗 |
[05:10] | The, uh, teachers union is representing the only teacher | 教师工会代表的老师是目前 |
[05:13] | who’s been charged so far. | 唯一被控诉的老师 |
[05:14] | She’s a passionate young educator, who, in our opinion, | 她是个热情的年轻教育者 在我们看来 |
[05:17] | is being railroaded by the district attorney’s office. | 她是被地方检察官捏造罪名起诉了 |
[05:19] | Any way I could entice you to take a meeting | 我能不能引荐那位老师及她的律师 |
[05:23] | with the teacher and her lawyer? | 和你见一面呢 |
[05:24] | The mayor would be extremely grateful for your help. | 市长会非常感谢你的帮助 |
[05:27] | I’m sure she would. There are far more teachers | 我确信她会的 在选区里投票的教师 |
[05:29] | who vote in elections than district attorneys. | 比地方检察官多得多 |
[05:33] | Just e-mail me where to go and when to be there. | 把时间地点发到我的邮箱 |
[05:36] | Um, and say hi to the mayor for me. | 替我向市长问好 |
[05:38] | Even though she probably couldn’t tell me from Adam. | 即使她很可能分不清我和亚当 |
[05:41] | Uh, just say yes, Bull. | 答应就行了 布尔 |
[05:43] | Yes, Bull. | 好的 布尔 |
[05:45] | Dr. Jason Bull? | 是杰森·布尔博士吗 |
[05:50] | So, what can I do | 所以 我能帮你 |
[05:51] | for you, Dr. Bull? Mayor’s office said | 做些什么呢 布尔博士 市长办公室说 |
[05:53] | you’d be stopping by. | 你会造访 |
[05:57] | You know who I am? | 你知道我是谁 |
[05:58] | I read The New York Times. | 我会看纽约时报 |
[06:00] | You’re a trial scientist. | 你是个庭审专家 |
[06:02] | It’s hard to tell… the way you said that… | 很难判断 你所说和所想 |
[06:04] | just how you feel about it. | 是不是一个意思 |
[06:05] | Does the expression “Third teat” | 用”第三个乳头”来表述 |
[06:07] | clear it up for you? | 你能理解了吗 |
[06:08] | Mmm. | 嗯 |
[06:10] | It’s open. | 门开着 |
[06:14] | Hi. Um… am I interrupting something? | 我打断了你们的谈话吗 |
[06:18] | I was told to just knock. | 别人告诉我敲门就行了 |
[06:19] | No, no. You’re fine. | 不 不 没事 |
[06:21] | Lacey Adams, Dr. Jason Bull. | 蕾西·亚当斯 这位是杰森·布尔博士 |
[06:24] | Doctor. | 博士 |
[06:25] | Ms. Adams. It’s nice to meet you. | 亚当斯女士 很高兴见到你 |
[06:27] | I’m a trial scientist. | 我是个庭审专家 |
[06:31] | I assist lawyers and legal teams | 我协助律师和法律团队 |
[06:33] | with challenging cases. | 办理棘手的案子 |
[06:34] | The mayor’s office wanted me to come by | 市长办公室想让我来 |
[06:36] | and meet you and your lawyer, | 见见你和你的律师 |
[06:38] | see if I could be of any help. | 看看我有什么能帮忙的 |
[06:40] | He can’t. | 他帮不上忙 |
[06:43] | Gwen here. | 我是格温 |
[06:46] | Mm-hmm. Sure. | 当然 |
[06:48] | So… | 所以 |
[06:50] | what’d they tell you | 关于我的事 |
[06:51] | – about me? – Nothing. | – 他们怎么说的 – 什么也没说 |
[06:53] | I just know what I’ve read… you and five other teachers | 我只知道看过的… 你和其他五名教师 |
[06:55] | are accused of altering more than 800 standardized tests. | 被指控更改了八百多份标准化考试试卷 |
[06:58] | I changed one answer… | 我改了一份试卷上的 |
[07:00] | on one test. | 一个答案 |
[07:02] | One. | 就一个 |
[07:04] | For one kid. | 为了一个小孩 |
[07:06] | Wow. That must be one special kid. | 那肯定是个特殊的孩子 |
[07:09] | He’s one of those kids everyone says | 他是所有人口中注定会失败的 |
[07:10] | is a lost cause. | 那种孩子 |
[07:12] | Terrible grades, | 糟糕的成绩 |
[07:13] | attendance issues, | 出勤率低下 |
[07:15] | no dad. | 没有父亲 |
[07:17] | And I think the mother has a heroin problem. | 而且我认为他的妈妈吸毒 |
[07:20] | But in class? | 但在课堂上 |
[07:22] | I can see the gears turning. | 我看到他能转变的可能 |
[07:24] | I spent three years working with him… | 在到学校之前 我和他共事了 |
[07:26] | before school, | 三年 |
[07:27] | after school… I brought him up from a D to a B-plus. | 上学之后 我让他的成绩从D提高到了B+ |
[07:31] | I even talked the admissions counselor at Hudson College | 我甚至和哈德森学院的招生顾问谈过话 |
[07:33] | into accepting him. | 让他们录取他 |
[07:35] | All he had to do was get a 65 on his test. | 他只要在考试中得六十五分就够了 |
[07:37] | And it shouldn’t have been a problem, but… | 而且这本不应该是个问题 但 |
[07:41] | So let me get this straight… | 所以我直说吧 |
[07:43] | they could place all six of you at the scene, | 你们六个人都在案发现场 |
[07:45] | and all of you were arrested, but… | 你们都被逮捕了 |
[07:47] | you are the only one being charged. | 但你是唯一被指控的 |
[07:49] | – Mm-hmm. – Why? | – 是的 – 为什么 |
[07:52] | Because I confessed. | 因为我坦白了 |
[07:57] | That was the district attorney’s office. | 是地区检察官办公室来的电话 |
[08:00] | They’re offering a deal. | 他们提供了一个交易 |
[08:01] | They certainly are. You plead guilty, | 确实如此 你认罪 |
[08:04] | testify against the other five teachers, | 作证告发其他五名教师 |
[08:06] | the ADA will give you probation. | 助理地检官给你缓刑 |
[08:08] | You’ll serve no time. | 你不会服刑 |
[08:10] | But she’ll still have a felony on her record. | 但她的履历上仍会被记上重罪 |
[08:12] | Which means they’ll take away your teaching license. | 这意味着他们会吊销你的教师执照 |
[08:14] | What’s the alternative? | 另一个选择是什么 |
[08:16] | – You go to jail. – The alternative | – 你进监狱 – 另一个选择是 |
[08:18] | is we go to court. | 我们出庭答辩 |
[08:20] | We explain to a jury why you did | 我们向陪审团解释你为什么 |
[08:22] | what you did, and maybe, just maybe, | 这么做 或许 只是或许 |
[08:24] | you walk away from this, doing what | 你能全身而退 然后去做 |
[08:26] | you’re meant to do. | 你该做的 |
[08:28] | Which is obviously teach. | 也就是回去教书 |
[08:30] | And you’ll be there? | 你到时候会在吗 |
[08:32] | Part of the team? | 你也是庭审成员吗 |
[08:34] | Absolutely. | 绝对是 |
[08:36] | Can’t have too many teats. | 不能女人太多 |
[08:38] | Can you, Gwen? | 对吧 格温 |
[08:42] | – What? – Nothing. | – 什么 – 没事儿 |
[08:56] | Lacey Adams, age 27. Graduated from Yale, | 蕾西 亚当斯 二十七岁 耶鲁毕业 |
[08:59] | did a one-year stint with Teach for America. | 参加了一年美国教育项目 |
[09:01] | She has been at Woodrow High School, in the Bronx, | 过去三年在布朗克斯的 |
[09:03] | for the last three years. | 伍德罗高中工作 |
[09:04] | Went to Yale and works in a public school | 明明上了耶鲁还在布朗克斯的 |
[09:06] | in the Bronx; that’s commitment. | 公立学校工作 这才是责任心啊 |
[09:08] | Oh, it gets better. She works | 还有呢 她一天工作 |
[09:09] | 11-hour days, nets less than $700 a week, | 十一小时 每周只挣不到七百块钱 |
[09:12] | and buys school supplies with her own money. | 还用自己的钱给学校买设备 |
[09:15] | I need to leave now so I can go home and rethink my entire life. | 我得现在就回家重新思考我的人生去 |
[09:17] | A group of teachers | 一堆老师 |
[09:19] | changes thousands of answers on hundreds of tests. | 在上千测试题上改了无数答案 |
[09:23] | And supposedly this girl only did it once. | 假设她只干了这一次 |
[09:25] | That’s what she says. | 她是这么说的 |
[09:27] | – And we believe her? – Bull believes her. | — 我们还相信她 – 布尔相信她 |
[09:30] | He thinks she’s a good teacher. He thinks she’s a good person. | 他觉得她是个好老师 他觉得她是个好人 |
[09:32] | And he hates that she’s facing a decade in prison. | 他不喜欢她面临十年牢狱之灾的现状 |
[09:35] | He said, | 他说 |
[09:36] | “In Lacey’s mind, what she did was justified. | “在蕾西心中 她干的事情可以被合理解释 |
[09:39] | We just have to get the jurors to accept that justification.” | 我们只需要让陪审团接受这个解释就行了” |
[09:42] | Well, that’s all, huh? | 就这样吗 |
[09:49] | You grew up around here? | 你在这儿长大的吗 |
[09:52] | Uh, I grew up in Switzerland. | 我在瑞士长大的 |
[09:54] | Ah, I was close. | 我猜的很接近了 |
[09:56] | My father works in international finance. | 我爸爸在国际金融公司工作 |
[09:58] | Uh, they live in Massachusetts now. | 他们现在住在马萨诸塞州了 |
[10:00] | I mean, I am American. | 其实我是美国人 |
[10:02] | I was born here. | 我是在这儿出生的 |
[10:03] | But it wasn’t until I went to Yale | 但直到我去上了耶鲁 |
[10:04] | that I fell in love with the place. | 我才爱上这个地方 |
[10:07] | What about teaching? | 那教学呢 |
[10:09] | Did you get the notice? | 你没发现吗 |
[10:11] | There’s no money in it, Lacey. | 赚不了什么钱的 蕾西 |
[10:12] | Yeah, I know. | 我知道 |
[10:14] | But, um, some of the most important people in my life, | 但是 我人生中很多最重要的人 |
[10:16] | growing up, were teachers. | 都是老师 |
[10:21] | I remember when we moved to Europe. | 我还记得我们搬到欧洲的时候 |
[10:23] | I was five years old. | 我当时五岁 |
[10:26] | They speak four languages in Switzerland. | 瑞士的人说四国语言 |
[10:29] | None of them English. | 没一个是英语 |
[10:31] | So the only person who understood me | 所以唯一理解我的人 |
[10:33] | and the only person I could talk to, | 以及唯一能和我交流的人 |
[10:34] | other than my mom and dad, was my teacher. | 除了父母之外 就是我的老师了 |
[10:39] | My fate was sealed. | 那时我的命运就注定了 |
[10:44] | I’m in a lot of trouble, aren’t I, Dr. Bull? | 我麻烦很大 是不是 布尔博士 |
[10:47] | Yes. | 是 |
[10:48] | And no. | 也不是 |
[10:50] | I mean, you did do something that was wrong. | 我是说 你做了错事 |
[10:52] | But it seems fairly obvious | 但很明显 |
[10:54] | you did it for a very good reason. | 你是为了好的理由做的 |
[10:57] | In fact, it seems pretty clear | 事实上 很明显 |
[10:59] | you did it to help someone else. | 你是为了帮助别人才做的 |
[11:08] | God, I miss it. | 天啊 我好怀念 |
[11:13] | God, I miss them. | 天啊 我好想他们 |
[11:18] | I know. | 我知道 |
[11:21] | Knock, knock. | 有人吗 |
[11:23] | How do you feel about necessity? | 你觉得紧急避险怎么样 |
[11:26] | I feel very strongly | 我感觉 |
[11:27] | that it’s the mother of invention. | 这是大自然的产物 |
[11:30] | Ah. I mean as a trial strategy. | 我是说庭审策略 |
[11:33] | I just spent the morning with our mutual client | 我一早上都和我们共同的委托人在一起 |
[11:34] | and I think necessity gives us what we need. | 我觉得我们需要紧急避险 |
[11:36] | You want to present a necessity defense? | 你想用紧急避险辩护吗 |
[11:40] | I do. | 是 |
[11:41] | Think about it. | 想想 |
[11:43] | We’re stuck with Lacey’s confession. | 我们没法绕开蕾西的认罪 |
[11:46] | I mean, we can’t claim she’s not guilty. | 我是说 我们没法做无罪辩护 |
[11:48] | But we can turn a weakness into a strength. | 但我们可以把弱点变成优势 |
[11:53] | We can demonstrate that Lacey’s cheating was a necessity. | 我们可以证明蕾西作弊是必要的 |
[11:57] | She did it to prevent Tyler’s life | 他这么做是为了防止泰勒的 |
[11:58] | from becoming a greater tragedy than it already was. | 人生变得更加悲剧 |
[12:01] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[12:02] | Dr. Bull, I know you’re not a lawyer, | 布尔 我知道你不是律师 |
[12:04] | but the necessity defense is intended | 但是紧急避险辩护是给 |
[12:06] | for people trying to save lives. | 企图救命的人准备的辩护策略 |
[12:09] | That’s what Lacey was doing. | 那就是蕾西做的事啊 |
[12:10] | An intruder breaks into your home | 一个外来者闯进你家 |
[12:11] | and tries to kidnap your child, | 试图绑架你的孩子 |
[12:13] | so you shoot him. | 你开枪打了他 |
[12:14] | That’s necessity. | 这叫紧急避险 |
[12:16] | That’s why people mount a necessity defense. | 这是人们用紧急避险辩护的原因 |
[12:19] | It’s not used to defend against an allegation of fraud. | 不是用来辩护诈骗指控的 |
[12:22] | And there’s no precedent. | 而且没有先例 |
[12:24] | Then let’s make some precedent. | 那我们创造先例啊 |
[12:26] | – You’re serious. – Mmm. | – 你是认真的 – 对啊 |
[12:27] | Well, that’s all well and good, | 好吧 |
[12:30] | but I’ve already decided. | 但我已经决定了 |
[12:32] | We’re going to argue that standardized testing | 我们要辩驳标准考试制度 |
[12:34] | without regard to socioeconomic inequality | 在没有考虑社会经济不平等因素的情况下 |
[12:37] | is just bad public policy. | 是一个不好的政策 |
[12:39] | That’s our defense. | 这就是我们的辩护 |
[12:41] | I want to put the entire notion | 我想把整个 |
[12:42] | of standardized testing | 考试制度搬上 |
[12:44] | on trial. | 法庭 |
[12:45] | – You do? – Damn right. | – 是吗 – 没错 |
[12:48] | You ever get out of here? | 你出不出门 |
[12:49] | From under this mountain of paperwork? | 偶尔从你堆成山的文书工作中离开一会儿 |
[12:53] | Why don’t you come by my office? | 你要不然来我的办公室吧 |
[12:55] | I’ll show you what we do, | 我给你看看我们都做什么 |
[12:56] | and why I think our defense is such a winner. | 以及为什么我觉得我的辩护策略稳赢 |
[13:00] | The jurors we should be looking for | 我们该找的陪审团成员 |
[13:02] | are those who understand | 应该是那些能够明白 |
[13:03] | it’s sometimes acceptable to do something wrong | 有些时候为了正确的事做错事 |
[13:06] | in pursuit of something right. | 是可以接受的那些人 |
[13:08] | You’re talking about Machiavellianism, | 你说的是马基雅维里主义吧 |
[13:11] | as in Niccolo Machiavelli? | 尼古拉·马基雅维利写的 |
[13:13] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[13:14] | Machiavelli, 15th century | 马基雅维利 十五世纪 |
[13:17] | politician and philosopher, who believed it was absolutely | 政治家和哲学家 他认为做错事 |
[13:19] | fine to do the wrong thing, if it was for the right reasons. | 是完全可以的 只要是为了正确的原因 |
[13:26] | Our task is to identify the jurors | 我们的任务就是找到那些 |
[13:29] | with the most Machiavellian tendencies | 最有马基雅维利倾向的陪审团成员 |
[13:32] | and get them seated on that jury. | 然后让他们坐在陪审席上 |
[13:34] | Our task is to prove Lacey | 我们的任务 |
[13:36] | was put in an impossible situation | 是证明当时蕾西的处境 |
[13:38] | by forces beyond her control, | 不在她的控制范围内 |
[13:40] | and did her best to navigate it. | 并且她尽力掌控当时的情况了 |
[13:43] | The rest of this is… | 这些简直… |
[13:44] | Wait a minute. Is this a test? | 等等 这是测试吗 |
[13:48] | It’s the Mach IV test for Machiavellianism. | 这是测试马基雅维里主义的马基三号测试 |
[13:52] | “Agree or disagree? | “同意还是不同意 |
[13:54] | Honesty is the best policy in all cases.” | 任何情况下诚实都是最好的解决方式” |
[13:57] | Mmm, I certainly agree with that. | 这个我绝对同意 |
[13:59] | I don’t. | 我不同意 |
[14:00] | I don’t believe you do either. | 我也不相信你同意 |
[14:02] | Kids, no fighting at the table. | 孩子们 别在这里吵架 |
[14:03] | We have a guest. | 我们有客人 |
[14:28] | Everybody ready to share? | 大家做好分享的准备了吗 |
[14:30] | Remember, the higher the score, the more Machiavellian you are. | 记住 分数越高 你就越马基雅维利 |
[14:36] | Well, I got a 44. | 我是四十四分 |
[14:38] | Confirms what we already know. | 证实了我们已知的事实 |
[14:39] | Save for your perverse talent for violating people’s privacy, | 除了你侵犯别人隐私 |
[14:43] | and reading their most secret | 上网窥探别人最私密 |
[14:45] | and intimate documents online, you’re fundamentally | 文档这个不当天赋外 你本身是 |
[14:47] | trustworthy and ethical. | 很可信且有道德的 |
[14:48] | I hate that. Sounds so boring. | 我不喜欢这样 听着好无趣 |
[14:52] | – I got a 66. – Spoken like a true Machiavellian. | – 我是六十六 – 真正的马基雅维里主义人 |
[14:55] | And right up there with my 72. | 接近我的七十二了 |
[14:57] | – What’d you get? – Uh, 62. | – 你呢 – 六十二 |
[14:59] | I guess we are a den of thieves. | 看来我们是一群小偷啊 |
[15:03] | And Mr. “Honesty is the best policy”? | 那”诚实是最好的解决方式”先生呢 |
[15:06] | 77. I’m not sure I even trust this test. | 七十七 我都不确定这个测试靠不靠谱 |
[15:10] | 38. And I trust it completely. | 三十八 我完全信任它 |
[15:12] | Ms. Kinsey? | 金赛小姐 |
[15:14] | 34. Not that it matters. | 三十四 这完全不重要 |
[15:18] | Well done, group. | 干得好 组员 |
[15:20] | Is anyone else hungry? | 有人饿吗 |
[15:43] | Here are the questions I’d love you to ask potential jurors. | 这是我想问潜在陪审团成员的问题 |
[15:47] | In addition, it’s extremely important | 对了 你把”紧急避险”这个词 |
[15:49] | that you weave the word “Necessity” | 带进对话里是很重要的 |
[15:50] | into the conversation. I want the jurors | 我想让陪审团成员 |
[15:53] | to become very comfortable with that word | 熟悉一下这个词 |
[15:55] | and to start understanding that that’s what they need | 让他们开始明白这是他们 |
[15:57] | to measure Lacey’s behavior against. | 将要用来衡量蕾西行为的词 |
[16:00] | Do me a favor and raise your hand | 如果你同意下面的说法 |
[16:02] | if you agree with the following: | 请举起手 |
[16:04] | “Most people are basically good and kind.” | “大部分人是善良友好的” |
[16:12] | The defense would like to excuse and thank jurors two and nine. | 被告请求去除二号和九号陪审成员 |
[16:16] | “The best way to handle people | “处理人际关系时最好的方式是 |
[16:19] | is to tell them what they want to hear.” | 告诉人们他们想听到的东西” |
[16:24] | Juror number five is acceptable to the defense, Your Honor. | 被告可以接受五号陪审团成员 法官大人 |
[16:28] | Necessity. | 紧急避险 |
[16:31] | Again, raise your hand if you agree. | 仍然 同意请举手 |
[16:34] | “Generally speaking, most people won’t work hard | “一般来说 大部分人只要不是必要 |
[16:37] | unless it’s an absolute necessity.” | 就不会卖力工作” |
[16:41] | Juror 12 is acceptable to the defense, Your Honor. | 被告可以接受十二号陪审团成员 法官大人 |
[16:46] | Raise your hand if you believe | 如果你觉得 |
[16:48] | there should be uniform educational standards | 无论住在阿拉斯加还是怀俄明 |
[16:51] | whether you live in Alaska or Wyoming, | 无论你的孩子是贫穷还是富有 |
[16:53] | whether your child is rich or poor. | 都应该有统一教育标准请举手 |
[16:56] | She’s going off script. | 她脱离剧本了 |
[16:58] | So, then, I take it you believe standardized tests | 那你认为标准测试 |
[17:00] | are a necessary part of the curriculum? | 是课程的必要部分 是吗 |
[17:02] | I do. | 是 |
[17:04] | Defense would like to thank and excuse this juror. | 被告表示感谢并且希望去除这位陪审团成员 |
[17:07] | So ordered. And let me remind the defense | 允许 但我要提醒被告 |
[17:09] | that you have now exhausted all your challenges. | 你现在没有质疑权了 |
[17:18] | What? I said the word “Necessity.” | 怎么 我说了”必要”这词 |
[17:21] | You’re not happy? | 你不高兴了 |
[17:23] | I thought we had a plan. | 我以为我们有计划的 |
[17:24] | I thought we were working together. | 我以为我们是一条战线的 |
[17:26] | No. | 不 |
[17:27] | You had a plan. | 是你有计划 |
[17:29] | And you thought I was working for you. | 你以为我是为你办事的 |
[17:31] | And now you know better. | 现在你明白了 |
[17:37] | Rather Machiavellian, wouldn’t you say? | 拉瑟·马基雅维里 你说呢 |
[18:10] | Tell me you are not going through my personal papers. | 告诉我你没翻我的私人文件 |
[18:16] | Sorry, can’t do that. | 抱歉 我做不到 |
[18:18] | That’s exactly what I’m doing. | 我确实在做这件事 |
[18:19] | Okay, I need you to stop right now. | 我要你立马停下 |
[18:21] | I need you to get up, get your clothes and leave. | 起来 穿上衣服 离开这里 |
[18:23] | Are you mad at me? | 你生气了 |
[18:25] | I am going to count to three, | 我数三下 |
[18:27] | and if you are not out of that chair | 你要是不离开那把椅子 |
[18:29] | and getting your clothes, I’m calling the police. | 穿上你的衣服 我就报警了 |
[18:31] | Out of the chair. | 离开椅子了 |
[18:34] | But I was just looking through this stuff | 我只是在查看这些东西 |
[18:36] | because I’m worried about you. | 因为我担心你 |
[18:38] | Marissa… I’m a money guy. | 玛丽莎 我老是跟钱打交道 |
[18:41] | That’s what I do. | 我是专门做这个的 |
[18:42] | And, uh, you won’t let me take care of you. | 你不让我照顾你 |
[18:45] | Half the time, you won’t let me pay for dinner, and I get it. | 大多时候 晚饭你也不让我请 我都理解 |
[18:48] | That’s what works for you, | 你就是这样的人 |
[18:49] | but I am who I am and I need to know you’re okay. | 可我也有自己的想法 我需要知道你没事 |
[18:52] | That you’re set for the future, and you’re not. | 你在为未来做规划 可你没有 |
[18:56] | That’s my business. | 不关你的事 |
[18:58] | You’re halfway through your working life | 你已经工作了大半辈子了 |
[19:00] | and you have nothing put away. | 可你一点积蓄也没有 |
[19:02] | Less than a hundred grand. | 连十万英镑都不到 |
[19:04] | And I know, I see, that you’re paying for your mom | 我知道 我看到你在为你妈妈 |
[19:07] | to live in that nice place in Massachusetts. | 在马萨诸塞州的住处付钱 |
[19:10] | You’ve got this great apartment. | 你还住在了这么好的公寓里 |
[19:12] | You’re running some credit card debt. | 你还有一些信用卡的负债 |
[19:14] | I need you to leave. | 我要你离开 |
[19:15] | I will leave in two minutes. | 两分钟后我就离开 |
[19:16] | I just, I want you to know… | 我只是 我希望你知道 |
[19:20] | I can make room for you in my Queens project. | 我可以在皇后计划里给你腾个位子 |
[19:23] | Push some of the Chinese money aside and make room for you. | 花一些人民币 让你进来 |
[19:27] | Take your 75 grand and turn it into 350 in 18 months. | 一年半 七万五英镑就能变成三十五万英镑 |
[19:31] | And it would give me | 这样做我还会 |
[19:33] | enormous pleasure to do that, it would. | 感到莫大的欢喜 |
[19:37] | ‘Cause I care about you. | 因为我在乎你 |
[19:53] | This is impressive. | 真让人大开眼界 |
[19:55] | I didn’t know something like this even existed. | 我都不知道还有这种地方 |
[19:58] | I’m very proud of this. | 我非常引以为豪 |
[20:02] | By the way, we finally made contact with Tyler. | 顺便说一句 我们联系上泰勒了 |
[20:07] | Turns out he is the prosecution’s | 结果他还是明天原告的 |
[20:08] | first witness tomorrow. | 第一位目击证人 |
[20:10] | He’s coming in tonight to get prepped. | 今晚他会过来做些准备 |
[20:12] | That’s great. | 真好 |
[20:14] | Um, how is he? | 他怎么样了 |
[20:17] | Um, is he okay? | 他还好吗 |
[20:17] | Did he get some kind of job? | 他找到工作了吗 |
[20:19] | I mean, I feel terrible | 害他置身于这些麻烦中 |
[20:20] | that I’m putting him through all this trouble. | 我感觉糟透了 |
[20:23] | That’s funny. He was worried about you. | 真有趣 他也在担心你 |
[20:25] | He said if he, uh, had done better | 他说他要是能考得好些 |
[20:28] | on the test, none of this would have happened. | 这些事情就都不会发生 |
[20:30] | So… | 那么 |
[20:31] | you mind if I ask you a question? | 介意我问个问题吗 |
[20:34] | You can ask me any question you’d like, Dr. Bull. | 你可以问我任何问题 布尔博士 |
[20:37] | You come from money. | 你为钱而来 |
[20:39] | Is that a question or an accusation? | 这是问题还是指控 |
[20:41] | Just a fact. | 只是陈述事实 |
[20:44] | It makes your choice of profession even more laudable, | 这让你的职业选择愈发显得高尚 |
[20:46] | but it does beg the question… | 但仍回避不了这样的问题 |
[20:49] | why do you have a union lawyer? | 为什么你请的是一位政府律师 |
[20:51] | Hmm? Why aren’t you being represented | 为什么不是 |
[20:53] | by some high-priced firm | 有着地方检察官 |
[20:55] | that has the DA’s private cell phone number | 私人手机号码的律师 |
[20:58] | and can maybe make this whole thing go away? | 也许那样就不会发生这么多事 |
[21:03] | Are your parents unwilling to help you? | 你父母不愿意帮你吗 |
[21:05] | Do they understand… do you understand… | 他们了解… 你了解… |
[21:08] | you could go to prison for ten years? | 你可能会获刑十年吗 |
[21:10] | The ADA is looking to make an example out of you | 助理地检官想先拿你和 |
[21:12] | and those five other teachers. | 那五名教师开刀 |
[21:15] | He is not fooling around. | 他可不是开玩笑 |
[21:19] | My parents didn’t walk into that room | 我的父母没有走进那间房间 |
[21:21] | and change the test question. | 更改测试答案 |
[21:23] | I did. | 是我做的 |
[21:24] | And I’m sure you won’t be surprised to hear | 我父母知道我有意成为一名教师后 |
[21:25] | that they were not too thrilled | 并不吃惊 |
[21:27] | at the idea of me becoming a teacher. | 我肯定你也知道此事 |
[21:30] | A public school teacher… | 一名公立学校的老师 |
[21:31] | in New York, in the Bronx. | 而且在纽约的布朗克斯区 |
[21:36] | I’m an adult, Dr. Bull. | 我是成年人了 布尔博士 |
[21:38] | I make my own choices, I pay my own way, | 我可以自己做主 自负盈亏 |
[21:41] | and I’m willing to pay for the consequences. | 我甘愿承担后果 |
[21:44] | I meant what I said | 我跟你说 |
[21:45] | when I told you I was grateful for your help. | 我非常感谢你的帮助是真心实意的 |
[21:48] | But I understand if you feel that this is a fool’s errand. | 你觉得这是件徒劳无功的差事 我也理解 |
[21:53] | Not at all. | 我不觉得 |
[21:56] | I’m just trying to figure out | 我只是想弄明白 |
[21:57] | if you’re a saint or a misbegotten martyr. | 你到底是个圣人还是拙劣的殉道者 |
[22:05] | Mr. Young. | 杨先生 |
[22:06] | What did you offer to do in return | 关于亚当斯女士更改你测试成绩一事 |
[22:08] | for Ms. Adams changing your test grade? | 你是否有交换条件 |
[22:11] | I didn’t offer to do anything. | 什么也没有 |
[22:13] | I didn’t even know she was gonna do it. | 我根本不知道她要这样做 |
[22:14] | She didn’t even tell me she was gonna change that answer. | 她甚至都没告诉我她会去更改答案 |
[22:17] | I didn’t even find out until she got arrested | 在她被捕之前我甚至毫无察觉 |
[22:19] | and the school called to tell me my scholarship was no good, | 学校电话通知我不再享有奖学金 |
[22:21] | and that I couldn’t go there anymore. | 我也不能再去学校了 |
[22:23] | And when that happened, were you mad? | 是什么时候的事 你对此生气吗 |
[22:26] | I was really… | 我非常 |
[22:27] | confused. | 困惑 |
[22:29] | Never mad. Sad. | 不生气 而是伤心 |
[22:31] | ‘Cause I had it all in my head, going to college. | 因为我满脑子想的都是上大学 |
[22:33] | No one in my family’s ever been to college. | 我们家没有人上过大学 |
[22:35] | I don’t even think I know anybody | 我想我认识的人里甚至都没有 |
[22:36] | who’s ever been to college. | 上过大学的人 |
[22:37] | So I was really sad, but also worried. | 所以我很伤心 但也担心 |
[22:39] | Because I thought Ms. Adams got in a lot of trouble, | 因为我觉得亚当斯女士因此麻烦缠身 |
[22:42] | and I keep kind of thinking it’s my fault… | 而且我有些觉得这是我的错 |
[22:43] | That’s a lot of words, Tyler. Remember what I said before? | 说得太多了 泰勒 还记得我说过什么吗 |
[22:47] | Right. | 对 |
[22:49] | Just answer the question. | 只回答问题就行 |
[22:50] | Right. | 没错 |
[22:52] | So try it again. | 那么再试一次 |
[22:54] | When you found out what she had done, were you mad? | 当你发现她所做的事 你生气吗 |
[22:57] | No, sir, I wasn’t mad. | 不 先生 我不生气 |
[23:00] | You like Ms. Adams, don’t you? | 你喜欢亚当斯女士 对吗 |
[23:03] | I think she’s a really good teacher. | 我认为她是一位好老师 |
[23:05] | Nice answer. | 答得好 |
[23:06] | Do you think she… liked you? | 你觉得她…喜欢你吗 |
[23:10] | I think you’d have to ask her that. | 我认为这你得问她 |
[23:13] | Good answer. | 答得好 |
[23:14] | Do you think the reason why she did what she did for you | 你觉得她为你所做的 她的动机 |
[23:18] | and the reason you weren’t mad | 而你不生气 是因为 |
[23:19] | is because the two of you liked each other? | 你们喜欢对方 |
[23:24] | No. Don’t just stare at me. | 别 别只是盯着我 |
[23:25] | That-that looks like a yes to the jury. | 这样子等于是向法官承认了 |
[23:28] | – But it’s not. – So, | – 不是这样的 – 那么 |
[23:30] | what do you say? | 你要怎么说 |
[23:34] | Sir, I’m happy to answer any questions you have | 先生 我很乐意回答您就案件事实 |
[23:36] | about the facts of the case. | 提出的任何问题 |
[23:39] | But now you’re just making stuff up. | 但您现在只是在编造故事 |
[23:41] | I don’t have to answer any questions | 我无须回答您有关编造事实的 |
[23:42] | about things you make up. | 任何问题 |
[23:45] | Nice answer. | 答得好 |
[23:47] | I think you’re gonna do great. | 你会做得很好的 |
[23:50] | Tyler, when you started tenth grade, | 泰勒 你刚上十年级的时候 |
[23:52] | what was your letter grade average? | 你的平均成绩是多少 |
[23:54] | A “C” Or a “D,” I think. | 我觉得是”C”或”D” |
[23:55] | According to your school records, it was a C-minus. | 根据的你的在校记录 是C- |
[23:59] | But by your senior year, your average soared to a B-plus. | 可最后一年时 你的平均成绩飞升到了B+ |
[24:03] | Any idea what happened in those three years to make | 你觉得这三年里发生了些什么 |
[24:05] | such a dramatic difference in your grades? | 让你有如此大的变化呢 |
[24:08] | Well, I think a big part of it was Ms. Adams. | 我认为很大一部分要归功于亚当斯女士 |
[24:11] | She spent a lot of time tutoring me. | 她花了很多时间给我辅导 |
[24:14] | Simple as that, huh? | 就这么简单 |
[24:15] | Just spend some time with your teacher | 就跟你的老师多相处一些时间 |
[24:17] | and you get right on the honor roll. | 你就立马登上光荣榜了 |
[24:19] | Objection. Argumentative. | 反对 律师的问题将会导致争论 |
[24:20] | – Ask a question, Mr. Newhall. – Sure. | – 问问题 纽霍尔先生 – 好的 |
[24:23] | Here’s a question. How do we know the defendant | 请问 我们怎么知道被告人 |
[24:25] | wasn’t changing your test scores | 不是从十年级就开始 |
[24:27] | starting all the way back in the tenth grade? | 篡改你的测试分数的 |
[24:28] | How do we know she hasn’t been cheating for you all along? | 我们怎么知道她没有一直为了你作弊 |
[24:32] | Objection. Calls for speculation. | 反对 问题要求证人进行推测 |
[24:34] | Assumes facts not in evidence. | 而不是询问证人已知事实 |
[24:36] | – Sustained. – Okay. | – 反对有效 – 好吧 |
[24:38] | Let me ask it another way. | 我换种说法 |
[24:40] | Are you certain your teacher | 你能确定你的老师 |
[24:42] | hasn’t been cheating for you | 在过去三年间 |
[24:44] | these last three years? | 没有为你作弊吗 |
[24:46] | – Yes. – Really? | – 能 – 是吗 |
[24:47] | How can you be so sure? | 你怎么能如此确定 |
[24:48] | I mean, it’s possible, | 这是有可能的 |
[24:50] | – isn’t it? – Objection! | – 是吧 – 反对 |
[24:51] | – Anything is possible! – Exactly! | – 万事皆有可能 – 没错 |
[24:53] | So how many tests | 那么她到底 |
[24:54] | did she really help you with? Ten? | 帮了你改了多少次考试呢 十次 |
[24:57] | I don’t have to answer questions about things | 我无须回答有关你 |
[24:58] | you make up. I don’t have | 编造事实的问题 我无须 |
[24:59] | – 20? – to answer questions… | – 二十次 – 回答 |
[25:00] | – …about things you make up. – 30? | – 有关你编造事实的问题 – 三十次 |
[25:01] | – I don’t have to answer questions… – I told you, one. | – 我无须回答 – 我说过了 一次 |
[25:04] | One? Really? | 一次 真的吗 |
[25:06] | How can you be so sure? | 你怎么能如此确定呢 |
[25:08] | Objection! He’s badgering the witness. Please. | 反对 他在纠缠目击证人 请制止 |
[25:10] | The truth is, you can’t, | 事实是 你不能 |
[25:11] | can you? You don’t know. | 你能吗 你不知道 |
[25:13] | You have no idea. | 你毫无头绪 |
[25:14] | You’re right. | 你是对的 |
[25:17] | I have no idea. I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[25:18] | I don’t. I don’t know. What do you want me to say? | 我不 我不知道 你想让我说什么 |
[25:21] | – Just stop talking. – I don’t. | – 请停止发言 – 我不 |
[25:22] | – Don’t say anything. – I don’t know. | – 停止发言 – 我不知道 |
[25:23] | Objection is sustained. | 反对有效 |
[25:24] | I’m sorry, Bull. | 对不起 布尔 |
[25:26] | I really did try to prep him. | 我真的尽力让他准备了 |
[25:34] | That drink better be for me. | 这杯酒应该给我喝 |
[25:37] | Sorry, this one’s spoken for. | 抱歉 这杯是我的了 |
[25:39] | You upset about the trial? | 这次庭审让你很心烦吗 |
[25:41] | No, it’s only just begun. | 别这样 这才只是开始 |
[25:49] | That was a serious swallow. | 那真是一大口酒 |
[25:52] | Want to tell your Uncle Bull all about it? | 想要把一切都告诉你的布尔叔叔吗 |
[25:57] | What is it about what we do | 为什么人与人之间的信任 |
[25:58] | that makes it so hard to trust people? | 维持起来总是那么难 |
[26:02] | We’re gonna have that conversation? | 我们要进行这样的对话吗 |
[26:05] | Marissa, give yourself a break. | 玛丽莎 给你自己放个假 |
[26:07] | We spend the whole day figuring out | 我们花上一整天来搞清楚 |
[26:10] | if people are lying to us or not. | 人们是否对我们说了谎 |
[26:12] | And when we’re not doing that, we’re figuring out | 而不在做这种事时 我们在思考 |
[26:14] | how to convince 12 strangers | 怎样让十二个陌生人 |
[26:16] | that our clients are telling the truth. | 相信我们的客户在说真话 |
[26:19] | Of course we don’t trust anybody. | 我们当然不信任任何人 |
[26:24] | Kyle offered to do something for me the other night. | 凯尔前两天晚上给我提供了个不错的项目机会 |
[26:27] | Something really nice. | 很不错的事 |
[26:29] | Really thoughtful. | 非常值得考虑 |
[26:30] | And what did you do? | 你当时怎么回应的 |
[26:32] | I threatened to have him arrested. | 我用逮捕威胁他 |
[26:35] | Ain’t love grand? | 你不喜欢钱吗 |
[26:39] | I think I’m gonna go home and call him and apologize. | 我觉得我得回家打电话给他 然后道歉 |
[26:43] | Well, I’m glad I could help you work through | 很高兴我能帮助你 |
[26:45] | this little crisis of the heart. | 解决这次心理的小危机 |
[26:47] | Don’t hesitate to call me if you need any more ad… | 请记得打电话问我 如果你需要更多建… |
[26:58] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[27:00] | At the request of the State Board of Education, | 根据州教育委员会的要求 |
[27:02] | I reviewed the tests. | 我检查了这些试卷 |
[27:03] | And what did you find? | 你发现了什么 |
[27:05] | They all shared a similar pattern of eraser marks. | 这些试卷上的涂改痕迹都很相似 |
[27:08] | – How do you mean? – The vast majority | – 这是什么意思 – 痕迹大部分 |
[27:10] | were in the history section, between questions 20 and 35. | 都在历史题部分 二十题到三十五题 |
[27:14] | This is a copy of Tyler Young’s test. | 这是一份泰勒·杨试卷的复印件 |
[27:17] | There are three erasure marks, | 有三处涂改痕迹 |
[27:18] | one of which Ms. Adams admits to making. | 一处是亚当斯女士承认篡改的部分 |
[27:21] | They are all wrong to right answer changes. | 它们都是把错的答案改成了对的 |
[27:24] | What number questions are those? | 这些问题的题号是什么 |
[27:26] | 11, 48, and 73. | 十一 四十八和七十三 |
[27:29] | None are in the history section. | 都不在历史题部分 |
[27:30] | – Correct. – And none are | – 是的 – 而且也都不在 |
[27:31] | in the question 20 | 二十题 |
[27:33] | to question 35 range. | 到三十五题 |
[27:34] | Correct. | 是的 |
[27:35] | Sounds like Tyler’s test | 听上去泰勒的试卷 |
[27:37] | is very different from the others. | 和其他的很不一样 |
[27:38] | Objection. Leading. | 反对 诱导性问题 |
[27:40] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[27:41] | I’ll put it another way. | 让我来换种说法 |
[27:42] | The test Lacey admits to changing | 蕾西承认篡改的试卷 |
[27:45] | is different from all the other 800 tests. | 和其他的八百份试卷都不一样 |
[27:48] | It doesn’t fit the pattern, right? | 它不符合涂改痕迹的模式 是吗 |
[27:50] | Right. | 是的 |
[27:52] | Nothing further. | 没有问题了 |
[27:55] | – Talk to me, Marissa. – Well, yesterday was | – 跟我说说情况 玛丽莎 – 昨天就像 |
[27:57] | a train wreck. No green on the screens anywhere. | 是场火车事故 屏幕上没有绿色 |
[27:58] | But today we have seven greens back, | 但今天我们有七个绿色 |
[28:00] | three yellows, and two reds. | 三个黄色 和两个红色 |
[28:02] | So even though the two of you hate each other, | 所以即使你们两个彼此讨厌 |
[28:04] | it seems like you’re making progress. | 但看上去你们在进步 |
[28:09] | Hey, can I talk to you? | 我能和你谈谈吗 |
[28:10] | Talk fast. I got a car waiting. What are you offering? | 快点说 有车在等我 你的条件是什么 |
[28:13] | What makes you think I’m offering anything? | 你为什么觉得我会提供条件 |
[28:15] | Cause it’s my job to know whether I’m winning or losing | 因为我的工作就是去了解我是赢是输 |
[28:17] | and by how much. | 还有输赢的程度 |
[28:18] | And right now, I’m winning. By a lot. | 现在 我的赢面很大 |
[28:21] | I’ll drop the charges against Lacey. | 我会撤销对 蕾西的起诉 |
[28:23] | I’ll even make sure she gets her teaching credentials back. | 我甚至可以确保拿回她的教师执照 |
[28:25] | And my boss will call the dean of students | 我的上司会打电话给泰勒学院的 |
[28:26] | at Tyler’s college, get him reinstated. | 教务处长 让她恢复任职 |
[28:28] | In exchange for…? | 交易是… |
[28:30] | I need those five other teachers. | 我要起诉另外五名老师 |
[28:33] | I get it. Your client’s a nice lady who did | 我懂的 你的客户是个出于好心 |
[28:35] | a bad thing for a good reason. | 却办了坏事的人 |
[28:37] | But those other five… | 但其他五名… |
[28:39] | Come on. You’re asking her to decide between her colleagues | 得了吧 你在让她在同事和学生之间 |
[28:42] | – and her student. – Her student | – 做出选择 – 她的学生 |
[28:44] | and her career. | 和她的职业生涯 |
[28:46] | Tyler can quit his dead-end job and go to college. | 泰勒可以辞掉他没有前途的工作 去上大学 |
[28:49] | And Lacey can get back in the classroom. | 而蕾西可以重返课堂教书 |
[29:10] | So, is, um, this why you wanted me here early? | 所以 这是你们想让我早点来的原因吗 |
[29:16] | So you could triple-team me? | 所以你们三个可以包夹我 |
[29:18] | It’s a good deal, | 这是笔好交易 |
[29:19] | Lacey. | 蕾西 |
[29:20] | I’d go so far as to say it’s a great deal. | 我甚至可以说 这是笔很棒的交易 |
[29:23] | And I am not in the business | 我不会参与到把其他教师 |
[29:24] | of throwing other teachers to the wolves. | 出卖给恶狼的勾当中 |
[29:26] | But I will be here for them, just as I was for you. | 但我会在这里帮助他们 就像我帮助你一样 |
[29:30] | It sounds like you’ve already made up your mind. | 听上去你们已经决定了 |
[29:32] | You heard what I thought when I called you last night. | 昨晚我打电话给你时 你就知道了我的想法 |
[29:35] | Gets you everything you want. | 你会得到所有你想要的 |
[29:36] | Tyler gets to go to college. You get to continue teaching. | 泰勒能去上大学 你能够继续教书 |
[29:39] | And as for the other teachers, | 其他的教师们 |
[29:41] | they get their day in court, just like you did. | 他们会上庭打官司 就像你之前做的那样 |
[29:43] | My two cents… I worked | 我的观点是 我在地检署 |
[29:45] | in the DA’s office a long time. | 工作了很长时间 |
[29:47] | Deals don’t get much better than this. | 没有辩诉交易比这次的更好了 |
[29:51] | So it’s unanimous. | 所以你们意见一致 |
[29:53] | You want me to sell out the people I work with. | 你们想让我出卖和我一起工作的人 |
[29:55] | I wouldn’t call it a sellout. | 我不会把它称为出卖 |
[29:57] | The ADA already knows who they are. | 助理地检官已经知道他们是谁了 |
[29:59] | He already knows what they did. | 他已经知道他们的所作所为 |
[30:01] | But he can’t prove it without me. | 但没有我 他没法证明 |
[30:03] | Today. | 只是今天而已 |
[30:04] | But maybe tomorrow he can. | 但也许明天他就能证明了 |
[30:06] | And maybe tomorrow, one of the five goes to him | 也许明天 那五名教师中的一个 |
[30:09] | and cuts a deal. | 会和他达成交易 |
[30:10] | And then you have nothing. | 你就什么都没了 |
[30:13] | Nothing but jail time. | 除了监狱时光 |
[30:15] | It’s your decision, Lacey. | 这取决于你的决定 蕾西 |
[30:17] | We just want you to understand what’s at stake. | 我们只是想让你明白什么最要紧 |
[30:19] | But whatever you decide, we’ll go along with it. | 但无论你做出什么决定 我们都会接受 |
[30:26] | I want Tyler to go back to school. | 我想让泰勒回去上学 |
[30:28] | And… I want to keep my job. | 而且 我想保住我的工作 |
[30:34] | But I couldn’t live with myself knowing | 但我不能心安理得地毁掉 |
[30:36] | I destroyed the lives of others to make it happen. | 其他人的生活来达成我的愿望 |
[30:40] | You called it. | 你说对了 |
[30:42] | How did you describe her? | 你是怎么形容她的来着 |
[30:44] | The architect of her own destiny. | 自我命运的建筑师 |
[30:49] | We are all here for you, Lacey. | 我们都会在这里支持你 蕾西 |
[30:51] | Now, I will call the ADA’s office, | 现在 我会打给助理地检官办公室 |
[30:54] | let ’em know that you have made your decision, | 让他们知道你做了决定 |
[30:56] | and… we can plot our next move. | 然后 我们可以策划下一步行动 |
[30:59] | You know what, | 你知道吗 |
[31:01] | I just plotted my next move. | 我刚刚策划好了下一步行动 |
[31:04] | I’m withdrawing from the case. | 我要退出这个案子 |
[31:07] | Wait, you’re what? | 等等 你要干什么 |
[31:08] | Our union is happy to come to the aid of our members | 我们工会很乐意在会员 |
[31:12] | when they’ve been wrongly accused of a crime. | 被错误指控时帮助他们 |
[31:15] | We’re even happy to help when they’ve admitted to a crime, | 我们甚至乐意在她们承认罪状 |
[31:18] | when we think there are extenuating circumstances | 而且认罪会影响在职教师的情况下 |
[31:21] | that will impact the lives of working teachers. | 帮助他们减轻罪刑 |
[31:24] | But I am not about | 但我不准备 |
[31:26] | to spend our very limited time and resources | 把我十分有限的时间和资源 |
[31:28] | on what I now realize is a suicide mission. | 花费到我如今意识到是一场自杀式的官司中 |
[31:32] | I’m sure Dr. Bull can help you find someone | 我确信布尔博士能帮你找到 |
[31:35] | to get you through the remainder of the trial. | 带你说服剩余陪审的律师 |
[31:43] | I did not see that coming. | 我也不知道会这样 |
[31:46] | Did I just make a huge mistake? | 我犯了个大错吗 |
[31:48] | I actually think you traded up. | 实际上我觉得你有了更好的律师 |
[31:52] | Oh. Yeah. | 是的 |
[31:54] | I bet you say that to all the second-string lawyers. | 我打赌你会对所有二流律师说这句话 |
[31:58] | What’s the game plan, Doc? | 你的计划是什么 博士 |
[32:00] | Well, we have a little less than an hour | 我们还有不到一小时时间 |
[32:03] | to get young Ms. Adams ready. | 让年轻的亚当斯女士做好准备 |
[32:06] | For what? | 准备什么 |
[32:08] | We’re putting you on the stand. | 我们要让你出庭 |
[32:13] | Lacey, you already testified | 蕾西 你已经作证说 |
[32:16] | that the second you saw Tyler the morning of the exam | 你在早上的考试中见到泰勒的一瞬间 |
[32:20] | you knew that he was going to struggle. | 就知道他答题会不顺利 |
[32:22] | What was that based on? | 这句话的依据是什么 |
[32:23] | Well, to begin with, he was already a half hour late. | 首先 他已经迟到了一个半小时 |
[32:26] | But more than that, I know how complicated his life is. | 但除此之外 我知道他的生活有多复杂 |
[32:30] | How do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[32:31] | Well, first of all, | 首先 |
[32:32] | he’s got a little brother he’s got to feed | 他每天早上都要为小弟弟做饭 |
[32:34] | and get off to school every morning. | 然后送他上学 |
[32:37] | Plus, his mother, um, has a drug problem, | 另外 他的母亲 有毒瘾 |
[32:41] | and sometimes she brings men to the apartment | 有时候她会在午夜 |
[32:44] | in the middle of the night to, uh, support her drug habit. | 把男人带回公寓 赚钱供她吸毒 |
[32:47] | On these nights, I…I know Tyler doesn’t get any sleep. | 这些晚上 我 我知道泰勒睡不着 |
[32:52] | I’m fairly certain that’s what happened the day of the test. | 我很确定那就是考试当天发生的事 |
[32:55] | Objection. Hearsay. | 反对 传闻证据 |
[32:57] | Right on cue. | 果然不出所料 |
[32:58] | It’s not hearsay. | 这不是传闻证据 |
[33:00] | During school vacations, I would go to his apartment | 在学校放假的时候 我会去他的公寓 |
[33:02] | and tutor him in the morning and then again in the evening. | 早上辅导他功课 晚上再辅导一次 |
[33:05] | I know what I’m talking about. | 我知道我在说什么 |
[33:07] | I’m going to allow it. | 反对无效 |
[33:09] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢你 法官阁下 |
[33:10] | So let me ask you a question. | 所以让我问你个问题 |
[33:15] | Was this your plan? | 这是你计划好的吗 |
[33:17] | Tyler takes the test. | 泰勒来考试 |
[33:19] | If he doesn’t make the grade, | 如果他分数不够 |
[33:21] | you figure out a way to doctor his answers? | 你会想办法篡改他的答案 |
[33:23] | No. It didn’t even cross my mind. | 不 我甚至没产生过这个想法 |
[33:26] | Tyler is a solid “B” Student. | 泰勒肯定是个”B”等级的学生 |
[33:28] | But that morning, you knew he wasn’t getting a “B.” | 但那天早上 你知道他得不到”B” |
[33:31] | I didn’t know… | 我不知道 |
[33:33] | but-but I sensed. | 但我有感觉 |
[33:35] | I just wanted to look at it, the test. | 我只是想看一眼考卷 |
[33:39] | That’s all I really wanted to do, | 我真的只是想 |
[33:41] | is just put my mind at ease that he had passed, | 让自己安心确保他通过了考试 |
[33:43] | and that he’d be going to college. | 可以升入大学 |
[33:46] | But then I walked in, | 但当我走进阅卷室 |
[33:47] | and I realized that all I had to do was change one question, | 我发现只要我改一道题的答案 |
[33:49] | and he could have a future. | 他就能拥有更好的未来 |
[33:51] | You and Tyler prepped for the exam, | 你帮泰勒复习过考试 |
[33:53] | is that correct? | 是吗 |
[33:55] | You gave him practice tests? | 你给他做了练习测试吗 |
[33:56] | Yes, three times. | 是的 三次 |
[33:58] | And how did he do? | 他的成绩怎么样 |
[33:59] | 80s. Low 80s, every time. | 八十分左右 每次都八十出头一点 |
[34:02] | That’s how I know him failing is an anomaly. | 所以我认为他不及格很反常 |
[34:04] | One last question. | 最后一个问题 |
[34:05] | If you could do anything you wanted to in life… | 如果你一生中可以做任何你想做的事 |
[34:08] | okay, a-a-anything at all, money’s no object… | 任何事 钱不是问题 |
[34:12] | what would that be? | 那件事会是什么 |
[34:14] | Objection. Relevance. | 反对 与本案无关 |
[34:15] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[34:21] | This. | 就是这个 |
[34:23] | Uh, teaching, not testifying. | 是教书 不是在法庭上作证 |
[34:27] | Showing people who think they know where their boundaries are | 让觉得自己能力受限的人们 |
[34:30] | that there’s so much more. | 意识到他们可以突破那些限制 |
[34:35] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官 |
[34:41] | Cross-examination. | 盘问时间 |
[34:43] | One question. | 就一个问题 |
[34:45] | Did you or did you not change an answer | 你有没有改 |
[34:48] | on Tyler Young’s exam? | 泰勒·杨试卷上的答案 |
[34:50] | Objection. | 反对 |
[34:51] | Asked and answered, Your Honor. | 已问已答 法官 |
[34:54] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[34:55] | Yes or no? I need to hear. | 没还是没有 我想知道 |
[34:57] | Did you alter, in any way, Tyler Young’s exam | 你有没有在交卷之后用任何一种方法 |
[35:00] | after it was completed? | 改过泰勒·杨的试卷 |
[35:02] | Making you guilty of tampering with a government record. | 从而让你犯下篡改政府档案 |
[35:07] | As well as perjury, | 还有做假誓的罪行 |
[35:10] | since you warranted the results by virtue of your role | 因为作为正式的监考官 |
[35:13] | as the official proctor of record. | 你有保证结果真实性的责任 |
[35:16] | And fraud… | 你还犯下了欺诈… |
[35:19] | since your intent was to deceive. | 因为你的目的就是欺骗 |
[35:24] | Yes or no. | 有还是没有改过试卷 |
[35:27] | Yes. | 我有 |
[35:29] | Uh, yes, I did. | 是的 我改过试卷 |
[35:32] | No more questions. | 没有其他问题了 |
[35:47] | Okay. How we doing with closing arguments? | 结束陈词做的怎么样了 |
[35:50] | – Uh… – Not good. | – 呃 – 不太理想 |
[35:52] | We’ve already run six different versions. | 我们已经演练了六个不同的版本 |
[35:54] | Yeah, I just let the last group of mock jurors go. | 我刚刚才让最后一组模拟陪审团离开 |
[35:56] | We were just throwing away good money after bad. | 我们这么做都是徒劳无功 |
[35:58] | I don’t understand. What’s the problem? | 我不懂 问题在哪里 |
[36:00] | The problem is she did it, Bull. | 问题就是她改了试卷 布尔 |
[36:02] | That’s always been a problem. | 这一直是症结所在 |
[36:03] | They’re just not buying the necessity defense. | 陪审团不会相信紧急避险这个理由 |
[36:05] | They want more evidence to support Lacey’s choice. | 他们需要更多的证据来支持蕾西的行为 |
[36:07] | If you want to win an acquittal, | 如果你想证明她无罪 |
[36:10] | we need something tangible, | 我们需要有形 |
[36:11] | something definitive, something objective. | 确凿 客观的证据 |
[36:15] | Then that’s what we’ll give them. | 那我们就给他们那些证据 |
[36:17] | You want the boy to take the test again? | 你想让那个男孩再考一次 |
[36:19] | Here? Today? | 这里 今天 |
[36:21] | I have the testing service standing by | 我让测试服务机构准备了一份 |
[36:22] | with a fresh version of the exam. | 全新版本的试题 |
[36:24] | And I am happy to have Your Honor, | 我也很高兴法官你 |
[36:26] | and the ADA here, proctor it, | 和残障协会的人能在场监考 |
[36:28] | so everyone can be sure | 这样我们都能确保 |
[36:30] | that there’s no funny business going on. | 没有人会耍把戏 |
[36:31] | Give him the test and two hours later, | 让他考试 两个小时之后 |
[36:33] | we will know where we stand. | 我们就能知道我们的处境 |
[36:34] | Your Honor, | 法官 |
[36:35] | this is completely irrelevant and unduly prejudicial, | 这和本案无关而且会造成极大的危害 |
[36:38] | not to mention an obfuscation. | 更不要说这是混淆视听的行为了 |
[36:39] | Judge Conway, I disagree. | 康维法官 我不同意 |
[36:42] | Our client has never denied what she did. | 我的委托人从未否认她做过的事 |
[36:44] | What’s relevant here is why she did it. | 而她此行为的理由才是本案所关心的 |
[36:50] | It’s unorthodox, but I agree it’s relevant. | 虽然这不正规 但我承认它与本案相关 |
[36:53] | And I’m going to allow it. | 我也允许他在这里考试 |
[37:35] | In the 82nd percentile, | 百分制 八十二分 |
[37:37] | ladies and gentlemen. | 女士们先生们 |
[37:39] | That’s what Tyler Young scored | 那就是泰勒·杨重考 |
[37:41] | when he retook his college placement exam. | 大学入学考试的成绩 |
[37:44] | 82%. | 八十二 |
[37:46] | Now, why does that matter? | 那意味着什么呢 |
[37:48] | Well, because it proves why Lacey felt | 这恰巧证明了为什么蕾西 |
[37:50] | what she did was necessary. | 认为她所做的是有必要的 |
[37:52] | Against the rules, | 虽然违反了规定 |
[37:54] | but necessary. | 但是很有必要 |
[37:56] | She knew what her student was capable of, | 她知道她的学生能力如何 |
[38:00] | and didn’t want that student’s future compromised | 也不想让她学生的未来 |
[38:02] | because of circumstances that were beyond his control. | 因为他无法控制的情况而被连累 |
[38:07] | Lacey Adams confessed | 蕾西 亚当斯坦承 |
[38:09] | to changing a single answer, | 只要改一道题的答案 |
[38:13] | bringing Tyler’s test to the 65th percentile, | 泰勒的试卷就能上六十五分 |
[38:17] | allowing him to attend a local college, | 他就可以进入本地的大学 |
[38:21] | where he hoped to study architecture, | 学习他向往的建筑学 |
[38:24] | and perhaps be the first person in his family | 而且他也会成为他们家里第一个 |
[38:27] | to earn a college degree. | 拿到大学学位的人 |
[38:29] | Is changing answers wrong? | 改答案是错的吗 |
[38:31] | Yes, absolutely. | 当然是错误的 |
[38:34] | But is it, is it worse than… | 但是改答案 |
[38:37] | taking away a bright young man’s opportunity to better himself, | 有比剥夺一个聪明年轻人深造的机会 |
[38:41] | change his future? | 改变他的未来还要糟糕吗 |
[38:44] | Well, I guess that’s why you’re here. | 我想这就是我们在这里的原因 |
[38:47] | I guess that’s why we’ll leave it up to you to decide. | 也是我们让你们决定的原因 |
[38:53] | Thank you for listening. | 感谢你们的聆听 |
[38:59] | Madam Foreman, have you reached a verdict? | 福尔曼女士 你们作出判决了吗 |
[39:02] | Yes we have, Your Honor. | 我们作出判决了 法官 |
[39:04] | We, the jury, | 陪审团 |
[39:06] | find the defendant, Lacey Adams, guilty | 认为被告 蕾西 亚当斯 犯有 |
[39:10] | on one count of tampering with a government record, | 一项篡改政府档案罪 |
[39:14] | one count of perjury, | 一项作假誓罪 |
[39:16] | and one count of fraud. | 还有一项欺诈罪 |
[39:20] | I’m sorry. I’m, uh… | 我很抱歉 |
[39:22] | No. I did it. | 不用 我犯罪了 |
[39:24] | I did. | 我做了这件事 |
[39:26] | Bull? | 布尔 |
[39:27] | Is she okay? | 她还好吗 |
[39:29] | Are-are you okay? | 你还好吗 |
[39:32] | I am so, so sorry. | 我真的很抱歉 |
[39:35] | I’ll fix this, I will. | 我会处理这件事的 我会的 |
[39:38] | Somehow, I promise. | 无论如何 我向你保证 |
[39:47] | Okay. | 好 |
[39:55] | You’re here. | 你来了 |
[39:57] | You actually showed up. | 你倒是真的出现了 |
[39:59] | Hey. You’re not the mayor. | 你不是市长吧 |
[40:04] | She sends her regrets. | 她向你表达歉意 |
[40:06] | She really wanted to be here tonight. | 她今晚是真的很想赴约 |
[40:09] | No, she didn’t. | 不 她才不想 |
[40:11] | I was surprised when you called to schedule it. | 我很惊讶你打电话去预约 |
[40:13] | I mean, most people just give the money and… | 我是说 大多数人都直接给钱 |
[40:17] | let the carriage ride go. | 然后坐上马车走 |
[40:19] | Well, the truth is, I need a favor. | 事实上 我需要你帮我一个忙 |
[40:22] | And I was hoping I could ask the mayor directly. | 我原本希望能直接求助于市长 |
[40:24] | Happy to carry your water, Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 我乐意效劳 |
[40:27] | You remember the case you asked | 你记得一个月前你让我 |
[40:28] | for my help on about a month ago? | 帮忙的案子吗 |
[40:30] | I do. | 我记得 |
[40:32] | We lost. | 我们输了 |
[40:34] | I’m aware, but… it all worked out. | 我注意到了 但最后也没什么事 |
[40:37] | The judge liked her; gave her no jail time. | 法官赏识她 没有让她坐牢 |
[40:39] | Not the worst ending. | 不是最糟糕的结局 |
[40:41] | But she’s got a felony on her record, | 但她有犯下重罪的记录 |
[40:44] | and, uh, now she can’t teach. | 现在她也不能再教书了 |
[40:47] | I just… | 我只是 |
[40:50] | I think we lost one of the good ones, | 我觉得我们失去了一个好老师 |
[40:52] | maybe even one of the great ones. | 或许是最好的老师之一 |
[40:55] | Thing about teaching is, if you’re meant to do it, | 教学这种事呢 如果你想做 |
[40:59] | you’re gonna do it. | 你就能去做 |
[41:01] | Maybe not in a classroom. | 不一定是在教室里 |
[41:02] | Maybe not in the State of New York, but… | 也不一定要在纽约州 但是 |
[41:06] | I just have a feeling she’s gonna be fine. | 我只是觉得她会没事的 |
[41:08] | Probably end up in a private school somewhere. | 说不定她会在某家私立学校教书 |
[41:12] | Massachusetts, maybe. | 或许在马萨诸塞州 |
[41:14] | You seem to know an awful lot about her. | 你好像挺了解她的 |
[41:17] | I’ll let you in on a little secret. | 我告诉你一个小秘密 |
[41:19] | The reason I sought you out that night? | 你想知道那晚我找你的原因吗 |
[41:21] | Her father is a bigwig in the party. | 她父亲在党内很有权威 |
[41:24] | Major contributor, especially in New England. | 他是重要的捐助者 特别是在新英格兰地区 |
[41:26] | He knew his daughter would never accept any help from him, | 他知道他的女儿不会接受他的任何帮助 |
[41:29] | so he asked our office to intervene. | 所以他让我们办公室参与进来 |
[41:32] | He called the mayor himself. | 他亲自致电市长 |
[41:36] | In any event, | 所以不管怎么样 |
[41:38] | your client’s gonna be fine. | 你的委托人都会没事的 |
[41:40] | Was that your favor? | 这能给你解惑了吗 |
[41:43] | What is it about what we do | 为什么人与人之间的信任 |
[41:45] | that makes it so hard to trust people? | 维持起来总是这么难 |
[41:48] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[41:50] | Agree or disagree: | 不管你同意与否 |
[41:51] | Honesty is the best policy in all cases. | 在所有的案子里诚信是最重要的法则 |
[41:55] | I don’t think I understand. | 我不懂 |
[41:58] | I’m sure you don’t. | 你当然不懂 |
[42:02] | I need the mayor, or someone from the mayor’s office, | 我需要市长 或者市长办公室里的人 |
[42:05] | to get on the phone and find a place | 致电城市大学 让他们给 |
[42:08] | for Tyler Young to go to a city college. | 泰勒·杨留个位子 |
[42:12] | That would be highly irregular | 让市长运用她的影响力 |
[42:14] | for the mayor to use her influence | 使某个人被学校录取 |
[42:17] | to gain admission for any individual… | 这就不太正常了 |
[42:21] | It could even be construed as unethical. | 这样的行为可以说是不道德的 |
[42:23] | Like the way the mayor twisted my arm | 这不就和市长使劲劝我 |
[42:25] | to get me to work for free so she could curry favor | 免费为她效劳 这样她就能讨好 |
[42:28] | with a party bigwig? | 党内权威一样吗 |
[42:31] | You ever heard of Machiavelli? | 你有没有听说过马基雅维里 |
[42:33] | Very successful politician. | 非常成功的政客 |
[42:36] | I think he and the mayor would have gotten along really well. | 我相信他和市长定能相处得非常融洽 |
[42:41] | Get the Tyler Young college thing done for me. | 帮我把泰勒·杨进大学的事情给解决了 |
[42:47] | Shouldn’t be a problem. | 应该不是什么难事 |
[42:49] | Great. | 非常好 |
[42:52] | Driver, I’m gonna hop off. | 司机 我要下车 |
[42:54] | I got what I came for. | 我达到我的目的了 |
[42:56] | Thanks for the ride. | 谢谢你载我一程 |