时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | 注意了,年轻人们! 加入皮特·梅布鲁克的亿万富翁慈善会的科学夏令营吧 | |
[00:23] | Hey, Ryan. | 嘿莱恩 |
[00:24] | It’s your big brother Stephen. Come on, let me in. | 是我 你的哥哥斯蒂芬 开门让我进去 |
[00:28] | I’m using my spare, | 我用备用钥匙进来 |
[00:30] | so if you’re in the john, close the damn door. | 你如果在上厕所 就把门关好了 |
[00:37] | Yo, Ryan. | 哟 莱恩 |
[00:39] | I saw the poster you called me about. | 我看见你电话里说的那幅海报了 |
[00:44] | Yo, Ry. | 哟 小莱 |
[00:50] | Ryan, where you at? | 莱恩 你在哪呢 |
[00:53] | Ryan, you okay? | 你还好吗 莱恩 |
[01:01] | You in there? | 你在里面吗 |
[01:04] | I’m coming in. | 我进来了 |
[01:20] | Bull, he’s an old friend, | 布尔 他是我的老朋友了 |
[01:22] | a really old friend, so I need you to be nice. | 我们认识很久了 所以我希望你说话客气一点 |
[01:23] | How long since you’ve seen him? | 你上次见他是什么时候了 |
[01:25] | I don’t know. Seven or eight years? | 不知道 大概七八年前吧 |
[01:28] | You haven’t seen him in seven or eight years? | 你都七八年没见过他了 |
[01:33] | What’s this casual acquaintance’s name again? | 你这个普通朋友叫啥来着 |
[01:35] | Stephen. Stephen Raposa. | 斯蒂芬 斯蒂芬·瑞波萨 |
[01:37] | And Bull, I am pleading with you, | 还有 布尔 我求你了 |
[01:38] | he just lost his younger brother, | 他弟弟刚去世 |
[01:39] | so he’s really, really fragile. | 所以他真的很脆弱 |
[01:42] | Are you folks familiar with the Back to Nature Wilderness | 你们听过回归自然 |
[01:44] | and Leadership Camp for Boys? | 还有男生领袖训练营吗 |
[01:47] | Of course. It’s a New York institution. | 当然 这是纽约的一个机构 |
[01:49] | Peter Maybrook started it, when, the early ’90s? | 是由皮特·梅布鲁克创建的 在大概九十年代早期的时候 |
[01:53] | Right. Peter Maybrook. | 没错 皮特·梅布鲁克呢 |
[01:56] | Made that that fortune with the chain | 他靠高端体育用品连锁店 |
[01:58] | of upscale sporting goods stores. | 发了一大笔财 |
[02:01] | Back to Nature. | 回归自然啊 |
[02:02] | Now, I knew some kids who went for free. They loved it. | 我知道有些小孩免费去参加的 他们很喜欢 |
[02:05] | Oh, me, too. Kids from foster care. | 我也喜欢 孩子们喜欢远离父母 |
[02:07] | I mean, that was his thing, wasn’t it? | 这就是他的手段 不是吗 |
[02:09] | Paying for at-risk boys to get out of the city and into nature? | 花钱送一些叛逆的男孩子离开城市 去到大自然 |
[02:12] | My brother and I went to that camp. | 我弟弟和我参加过这个营地 |
[02:15] | I understand you recently lost your brother. | 我理解你 你的弟弟刚去世 |
[02:20] | Yeah, he took his own life, actually. | 其实他是自杀身亡的 |
[02:22] | He simultaneously overdosed and slit his wrists. | 用药过量同时割腕自杀 |
[02:30] | He told me it was Maybrook. | 他跟我说 这都是因为梅布鲁克 |
[02:33] | I’m sorry. What was Maybrook? | 不好意思 什么是因为他 |
[02:35] | He took liberties with my brother. | 当我弟弟还在那个营地的时候 |
[02:38] | While he was at that camp. | 梅布鲁克猥亵了他 |
[02:41] | When he was only 13. | 他只有十三岁 |
[02:43] | I see. | 我懂了 |
[02:45] | So you’re accusing Peter Maybrook of abuse. | 所以你是要起诉皮特·梅布鲁克虐待儿童吗 |
[02:50] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[02:51] | And did your brother go to the police? | 你弟弟报警了吗 |
[02:53] | He did. | 报了 |
[02:55] | He waited ten years, but he did it. | 他过了十年才报警 但他还是报了 |
[02:58] | And of course, they didn’t believe him. | 当然 警察根本不信他 |
[03:01] | By then, he was a full-blown addict | 因为他当时完全就是个瘾君子 |
[03:04] | and you know, addicts lie. | 你懂的 瘾君子的话不可信 |
[03:06] | And he had a-a bit of a record. | 而且他也有过一些犯罪记录 |
[03:10] | And Maybrook, Maybrook’s a-a god in this town. | 并且梅布鲁克 他在这里就是个神级人物 |
[03:14] | And this happened, when, 15 years ago? | 这是十五年前发生的事吗 |
[03:16] | Yeah, something like that. | 是的 差不多 |
[03:18] | And when the police wouldn’t do anything, | 警察又对此无动于衷 |
[03:20] | it drove Ryan even crazier. | 这使莱恩变得更加疯狂了 |
[03:22] | He broke into Maybrook’s estate, | 他闯进了梅布鲁克的房子 |
[03:24] | he stole everything he could get his hands on. | 偷了一切他能拿走的东西 |
[03:26] | He was coked out of his mind. | 他吸毒已经吸昏了头了 |
[03:27] | – Wow. – I… Stephen, | – 哇 – 我…斯蒂芬 |
[03:29] | you never told me any of this. | 这些你从没跟我说过 |
[03:30] | And you’re seeking legal counsel because…? | 那你来这进行法律咨询的原因是 |
[03:35] | I want to sue. | 我想起诉 |
[03:38] | I want to sue Maybrook. I-I read in the paper | 我想起诉梅布鲁克 我在报纸上看到 |
[03:40] | about this new law that New York just passed. | 纽约刚通过了一项新的法律 |
[03:42] | – The Child Victims Act. – That’s right. | – 《儿童受害法案》- 没错 |
[03:45] | Because there’s this new law, | 因为这项新法律的出台 |
[03:46] | there’s no statute of limitations. | 儿童虐待案不再有诉讼时效限制 |
[03:48] | Well, it’s not that there’s no statute of limitations. | 其实并不是说没有诉讼时效限制了 |
[03:52] | What they’ve done is, for one year only, | 政府其实是花了一年的时间 |
[03:54] | instituted something called a “Lookback window.” | 建立了”回溯窗口期” |
[03:58] | Any victim of child sexual abuse can sue | 无论过去了多少年 |
[04:02] | no matter how long ago the abuse happened. | 儿童性侵案的受害人都可以起诉 |
[04:05] | Well, there you go. | 你说得对 |
[04:06] | Uh, the problem is, Mr. Raposa, | 问题是 瑞波萨先生 |
[04:08] | I don’t think that law applies to you. | 我不认为这套法律适用于你 |
[04:10] | Your brother is deceased. | 你弟弟已经去世 |
[04:12] | That means we have no standing to sue on his behalf. | 这意味着无论有没有诉讼时效限制 |
[04:15] | Statute of limitations or no statute of limitations. | 我们都不能代表他起诉 |
[04:18] | And there’s no, there’s no work-around for that? | 那 没有别的解决办法了吗 |
[04:21] | No. Not really. | 没有 |
[04:25] | I’m so sorry, Stephen. | 真的很抱歉 斯蒂芬 |
[04:27] | So sorry for all of it. | 我对一切都感到很遗憾 |
[04:29] | For not seeing you for so long, for us not being able to help. | 一是这么多年没见你了 二是我们没能帮到你 |
[04:34] | Will you call me if there’s anything else you need? | 如果你有别的需求就再打电话给我好吗 |
[04:36] | Help with funeral arrangements, | 比如帮你筹备葬礼什么的 |
[04:39] | anything. | 任何事都行 |
[04:46] | Talk to me. | 跟我说话啊 |
[04:48] | So I get that we can’t sue for Ryan. | 我理解为什么我们不能为莱恩起诉 |
[04:50] | Ryan’s gone, so we have no standing. | 莱恩不在了 我们没有起诉资格 |
[04:56] | But what about me? | 但我呢 |
[04:59] | I’m sorry, w-what? | 不好意思 你说什么 |
[05:03] | Me. | 我 |
[05:07] | The man molested me, too. | 那个男人也侵犯了我 |
[05:09] | So what about me? | 我能起诉吗 |
[05:12] | Can we sue on my behalf? | 能以我的名义起诉吗 |
[05:22] | – You okay if I…? – Sure. | – 你介意我… – 不介意 |
[05:27] | Thanks for coming in so early. | 感谢你来的这么早 |
[05:29] | It’s just easier for me to focus on you | 这可以让我集中精力在 |
[05:32] | and your story before the chaos starts. | 你和你的经历上 |
[05:38] | So, let’s begin at the beginning. | 那我们从头开始 |
[05:41] | How old were you when Peter Maybrook | 当梅布鲁克第一次和你 |
[05:42] | initiated physical contact? | 有肢体接触时 你多大 |
[05:44] | I was 14. It was the last summer I spent at that camp. | 我十四岁 那是我待在营地的最后一个夏天 |
[05:50] | So, let’s talk about that summer. | 那我们来谈谈那个夏天 |
[05:53] | I’m sorry, it’s just, for 24 years, I never talked about it. | 不好意思 只是二十四年过去了 我从未说起过这件事 |
[05:58] | I never wanted to. Still don’t want to. | 我从不想谈起 现在也是 |
[06:01] | It’s completely understandable. | 这完全能理解 |
[06:03] | But you’re gonna have to tell the story in front of a jury. | 但你需要把你的故事说给陪审团成员听 |
[06:07] | And the best way to prepare for that is here. | 最好的准备就是现在 |
[06:12] | Like I said, it was my last summer at that camp. | 就像我说的 那是我待在营地的最后一个夏天 |
[06:15] | And they made me a cabin captain. | 我被选为营地队长 |
[06:22] | They only picked 12 boys. | 他们只挑选了十二个男孩 |
[06:23] | And it meant you got to spend time with Maybrook. | 这代表你可以和梅布鲁克待在一起 |
[06:26] | And that was considered a perk? | 这是一件很光荣的事吗 |
[06:29] | Oh, yeah. Maybrook, he was, | 当然 梅布鲁克被认为是 |
[06:31] | he was the coolest guy on the planet. | 地球上最酷的人 |
[06:32] | He drove a Mustang, he listened to Aerosmith. | 他开着野马 听着空中铁匠的歌 |
[06:34] | He grew up poor like us but now he was rich. | 他和我们一样家里很穷 但现在很富有 |
[06:37] | And being a cabin leader meant he knew your name. | 当上营地队长意味着你能进入他的圈子 |
[06:41] | It meant you got to go to this special dinner | 意味着你有机会在靠近营地的 |
[06:42] | at his estate near the camp. | 他的庄园里与他共进晚餐 |
[06:44] | And was that the first time you were alone with him? | 那次吃晚餐是你第一次 |
[06:47] | – At the dinner? – No. | – 与他独处吗 – 不是 |
[06:48] | No, all 12 of us were there that night. | 那晚我们十二个男孩都在那 |
[06:51] | But a few nights later, his assistant, Lydia, | 但过了几个晚上 他的助手莉迪亚 |
[06:56] | she came to me and she told me that Maybrook wanted to see me. | 过来告诉我说梅布鲁克想见我 |
[06:59] | Just me. | 就我一个人 |
[07:01] | I was so damn excited. | 我兴奋极了 |
[07:03] | So that night, did anything happen? | 那么那天晚上有发生什么吗 |
[07:07] | Not really. | 并没有 |
[07:09] | We watched TV, we talked. | 我们看了电视 聊了会天 |
[07:12] | I told him things that I’d never told anyone, | 我跟他说了一些我从没跟别人说过的事 |
[07:14] | how my dad left, how I took care of my little brother | 比如我爸是怎么离开的 我妈工作太忙 |
[07:18] | because my mom was always working. | 我是怎么照顾我弟弟的 |
[07:21] | It sounds like you felt very safe. | 看来你当时很有安全感 |
[07:25] | Yeah. Very safe. | 是的 很安全 |
[07:29] | Then a few nights later, | 但又过了几晚 |
[07:30] | he invited me back, and then again the following week. | 他又叫我过去 之后的一周也去了一次 |
[07:33] | And that was the, that was the first time | 就是这一次 我第一次 |
[07:35] | I ever saw him drinking. | 看见他喝酒 |
[07:38] | He was drinking brandy, and he offered me a taste | 他在喝白兰地 并且让我也尝尝 |
[07:41] | and it made me feel really cool. | 这让我感觉非常酷 |
[07:46] | And when did the touching start? | 那他是什么时候开始碰你的 |
[07:48] | It was gradual. | 他是一步一步来的 |
[07:50] | He kind of snuck up on it, you know? | 类似偷袭 你懂吗 |
[07:52] | We’d be talking, and he’d touch my leg or my shoulder. | 聊天的时候他就摸摸我的腿或肩膀 |
[07:58] | And then, one night… | 然后一天晚上… |
[08:03] | … he asked me if I wanted to shower. | …他问我想不想洗澡 |
[08:06] | Our cabins didn’t usually have much hot water, | 我们的小屋通常没有太多热水 |
[08:11] | but his shower, | 但在他的洗澡间 |
[08:14] | he’d turn it on and you’d see the steam. | 打开龙头能看见蒸汽冒出来 |
[08:21] | Did he get in the shower with you? | 他跟你共浴吗 |
[08:24] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[08:27] | He got close. | 他贴近我 |
[08:28] | And then, the next thing I knew, he was touching me. | 我所知的下一件事是他在抚摸我 |
[08:31] | Wanting me to touch him. | 也让我抚摸他 |
[08:34] | But I didn’t want to, so he… he kind of got behind me. | 但我不想这样 所以他… 他就转到我背后 |
[08:42] | Forced himself on me. | 强把自己贴上我 |
[08:48] | And I wanted to stop him, | 我想阻止他 |
[08:51] | but he was a lot bigger than me, | 但他块头比我大得多 |
[08:54] | and I felt like I couldn’t move. | 我感到无法动弹 |
[09:00] | And I don’t really remember the rest. | 其他的其实都不怎么记得了 |
[09:02] | It’s kind of like my mind left my body. | 仿佛意识离开身体 |
[09:08] | Although I do remember counting the tiles. | 只确实记得自己在数瓷砖 |
[09:15] | 182. | 一百八十二片 |
[09:19] | Did you ever tell anyone about this? | 你跟任何人提过此事吗 |
[09:21] | No. | 没有 |
[09:24] | I think I kind of thought it was my fault. | 可能我认为是自己的错 |
[09:27] | Like, if I’d never taken that brandy | 比如 如果我没喝那杯白兰地 |
[09:31] | or if I said something the first time he touched my leg… | 或者如果他第一次摸我腿的时候就出言制止… |
[09:38] | And then, two years later, | 两年后 |
[09:41] | my mom sent Ryan to that camp. | 我妈让莱恩也参加了那训练营 |
[09:48] | I still never said a word. | 我还是什么都没说 |
[09:52] | My last big project at Homeland | 我在国土安全局参与的最后一个大项目 |
[09:55] | was coordinating logistics after Hurricane Sandy. | 是在飓风桑迪过后协调后勤 |
[09:58] | They actually pulled a bunch of us from counterterrorism | 让我们很多人脱离了反恐领域 |
[10:02] | to work with the National Guard. | 转而与国民警卫队共事 |
[10:03] | Stephen was a sergeant. | 斯蒂芬那时是一名中士 |
[10:05] | He was in charge of a team of Army mechanics. | 手下掌管一支陆军机械师队伍 |
[10:08] | Wreckage everyone else said was too dangerous, | 其他人都说废墟那边太危险了 |
[10:09] | Stephen found a way to search it. | 但斯蒂芬还是想到了搜索的方法 |
[10:11] | Pretty amazing guy. | 是个很厉害的人 |
[10:13] | And you two became friends? | 然后你们成了朋友吗 |
[10:15] | More like war buddies. | 更像是战友 |
[10:17] | I was going through my first divorce, | 我那时正在经历第一次离婚 |
[10:19] | he was going through one of his own. | 他也是 |
[10:21] | Neither one of us was really looking for a new friend. | 我们都不想结交新朋友 |
[10:25] | But like war buddies, we always stayed in touch. | 但作为战友 我们一直保持联系 |
[10:28] | Well, for what it’s worth, I did a little background check | 不管有没有用 我还是对你朋友做了一下 |
[10:30] | on your friend. | 背景调查 |
[10:32] | And I have to say, he doesn’t read | 我得说 他看上去 |
[10:34] | like a trauma survivor at all. | 一点都不像创伤幸存者 |
[10:37] | Near as I can tell, he doesn’t have any issues with alcohol, | 据我所知 他没有任何酗酒 滥用药物 |
[10:39] | drugs, anger management. | 愤怒管理方面的问题 |
[10:42] | He passed all his Army mental health reviews. | 通过了所有军方心理健康审查 |
[10:45] | Which brings me to the ugly question of the day. | 所以我提出了那个没品的问题 |
[10:48] | You think he was actually molested? | 你觉得他确实被骚扰了吗 |
[10:50] | Excuse me? | 你什么意思 |
[10:51] | I’m just saying, he never mentioned it to anyone | 我只是说 他此前从未对任何人提起 |
[10:56] | until yesterday when we told him that he couldn’t sue | 直到昨天 我们告知他 |
[10:58] | on his brother’s behalf, | 不能代弟弟起诉 |
[11:00] | and then out of the blue, “Well, it happened to me, too.” | 突然之间 他也说”我也遇到了呢” |
[11:04] | No. Bull spent time with him this morning, | 不是的 布尔今早跟他谈过 |
[11:07] | and he is 100% on board. | 他百分之百是受害者 |
[11:08] | Well, I defer | 好吧 我听从 |
[11:10] | to the man with all the doctorates. | 有博士学位的人 |
[11:13] | He have a plan? | 他有什么计划吗 |
[11:15] | He thinks our best bet… our only bet… | 他觉得我们最好的 唯一的赌注… |
[11:19] | is to establish a pattern of conduct. | 就是建立行为模式 |
[11:22] | He need us to go through old camp records | 他要我们检查过往的训练营记录 |
[11:24] | and reach out to former campers | 碰到资料与莱恩和斯蒂芬相似的营员 |
[11:26] | with profiles that are similar to Ryan’s and Stephen’s | 就跟他们取得联系 |
[11:30] | and see if any of them are willing | 看他们是否愿意 |
[11:32] | to come forward and testify. | 站出来作证 |
[11:34] | After spending almost a quarter of a century | 他们将近四分之一个世纪 |
[11:35] | not telling anybody, | 守口如瓶 |
[11:38] | yeah, that sounds like an easy sell. | 这任务听上去可真容易啊 |
[11:42] | Well, we split up the potential witness lists. | 我们单独分出了潜在证人名单 |
[11:44] | And I’ve been reaching out to former camp staffers. | 我也在跟之前的训练营工作人员联系 |
[11:46] | The thing is, everyone I talked to | 问题是 我联系到的每个人 |
[11:48] | had nothing but nice things to say about Maybrook. | 对梅布鲁克都只有好话 |
[11:51] | Turns out he had an unwritten policy, | 他那边似乎有一项不成文的规定 |
[11:54] | not a single seasonal employee | 没有任何一位季度员工 |
[11:55] | was brought back from one year to the next. | 会被留到下一年 |
[11:57] | Makes sense. | 这就说得通了 |
[11:58] | That way no one would’ve been around long enough | 那样就没有人能呆得足够久 |
[12:00] | to suspect him of bad behavior. | 以至于怀疑他有任何不当行为 |
[12:03] | As it turns out, the only adult who was there year in, year out | 唯一一位每年都在训练营里的成年人 |
[12:06] | was Maybrook’s assistant Lydia, | 是梅布鲁克的助手莉迪亚 |
[12:08] | who I had the pleasure of speaking to. | 很荣幸我有机会跟她搭话 |
[12:10] | And let me guess, she wouldn’t talk to you? | 让我猜猜 她不想跟你详谈 |
[12:12] | Oh, she talked. | 她跟我聊了 |
[12:14] | Told me she worked for him for almost two decades, | 告诉我她为他工作了近二十年 |
[12:16] | told me she worshipped the ground he walked on, | 敬爱他崇拜他 |
[12:18] | told me I should be ashamed of myself, | 说我该为自己感到羞耻 |
[12:19] | and then she hung up on me. | 然后就把电话挂断了 |
[12:21] | Yeah, that sounds about right. | 听起来挺合理的 |
[12:23] | Chunk and I spent the day reaching out to former campers. | 特朗科和我则一整天都在联系前营员 |
[12:26] | Oh, how did that go? | 如何 |
[12:27] | Well, we focused primarily on cabin leaders, | 我们优先关注的是小队长们 |
[12:30] | ones without strong family support systems, | 那些家庭支持方面比较薄弱的孩子 |
[12:32] | kids who, on paper, looked to be attractive targets | 那些从文件上一看就会是吸引梅布鲁克 |
[12:34] | for Maybrook and bore some physical similarity | 并与瑞波萨兄弟在形貌上 |
[12:37] | to the Raposa brothers. | 有某些相似的孩子 |
[12:38] | And? | 然后呢 |
[12:39] | And it turns out, | 看来 |
[12:40] | asking people to dredge up a painful past | 让人挖掘痛苦的过去 |
[12:42] | doesn’t make you very popular. | 可不怎么受欢迎 |
[12:44] | I mean, there were definitely | 肯定有人 |
[12:45] | people who had nothing but wonderful things to say, | 只有经历了美好的事情 |
[12:48] | and then there were others. | 而有些则不然 |
[12:50] | I had a couple of doors slammed in my face, | 我几次被人当面把门摔上 |
[12:52] | people cursing me out, | 咒骂我 |
[12:54] | saying, “How dare you come here asking questions like that?” | 说 “你怎么敢问这样的问题” |
[12:57] | And I got to say, it’s hard to know if their indignation | 我得说 很难分辨他们的愤慨 |
[13:00] | was righteous, or if they were people | 是否合理 或说他们是不是 |
[13:03] | who just didn’t want to remember, | 并不想回忆过去 |
[13:06] | didn’t want to be reminded. | 并不想被人提起过往 |
[13:07] | – My guess would be a little bit of both. – That’s great. | – 我猜两边都有点 – 很好 |
[13:10] | So the response prove, or at least suggest, | 那么人们的反应证明 至少暗示 |
[13:13] | this guy is guilty, | 这家伙是有罪的 |
[13:14] | but we have no one besides our client | 只是除了我们这位客户以外 |
[13:16] | that will get up there and say that to the jury. | 没人挺身而出 向陪审团说出这点 |
[13:19] | Well, I didn’t say no one. | 我不认为没有人哦 |
[13:22] | Alan Coleman | 阿伦·科尔曼 |
[13:24] | went to the camp a few years after Ryan and Stephen. | 在莱恩和斯蒂芬几年后也参加了训练营 |
[13:27] | He’s, uh, an architect in New Jersey. | 他现在在新泽西做建筑师 |
[13:29] | Didn’t want to talk on the phone, | 他不愿在电话里详谈 |
[13:30] | but he implied he had a story to tell. | 但暗示自己有料可爆 |
[13:33] | Well, that’s a beginning. | 这是个起点 |
[13:38] | Uh, I remember we watched | 我记得当晚早些时候 |
[13:41] | the 1996 Summer Olympics earlier that night. | 我们一起看了九六年夏季奥运会 |
[13:45] | Michael Johnson won both the | 迈克尔·约翰逊赢得了 |
[13:47] | 200 meter and the 400 meter sprint, and we both thought | 两百米和四百米短跑金牌 我们都认为 |
[13:51] | it was great and kind of funny | 这很棒 也很有趣 |
[13:53] | because he was wearing these golden shoes. | 因为他穿了一双金色的鞋 |
[13:56] | Gold medal. Gold shoes. | 金牌 金鞋 |
[13:58] | We laughed about it a lot. | 我们笑了很久 |
[14:01] | And then, uh, an hour later, | 一个小时以后 |
[14:04] | I was standing in the shower, | 我站在洗澡间 |
[14:06] | my face to the wall, | 面朝墙壁 |
[14:10] | wishing that I had these golden shoes, | 希望我穿着那双金鞋 |
[14:13] | wishing that I had these shoes so that I could run away. | 这样就可以逃走 |
[14:19] | Plus, I heard that | 另外 我听说 |
[14:21] | he was working with kids again. | 他又在做儿童方面的工作了 |
[14:24] | Mr. Raposa, | 瑞波萨先生 |
[14:26] | given everything you’ve described, | 鉴于您所描述 |
[14:29] | everything you testified to, | 您所作证的一切 |
[14:32] | why’d you keep it all to yourself all these years? | 这么多年您为什么一直保守这件事呢 |
[14:36] | If that man | 如果那人 |
[14:37] | did all the terrible things you just testified to, | 对您做了您证词所述的那些可怕事情 |
[14:41] | why not expose him? | 为什么不曝光他 |
[14:43] | My brother Ryan tried. | 我弟弟瑞安试过了 |
[14:45] | He told the truth over and over. He went to the authorities. | 他去当局说了一遍又一遍 |
[14:49] | He went to anybody who would listen, | 无论人家愿不愿意听 他都会讲 |
[14:50] | and a lot of people who wouldn’t, | 但什么都没有改变 |
[14:52] | but nothing changed, and it ruined his life. | 这件事毁了他的人生 |
[14:55] | So if you didn’t talk to anybody, | 如果你不跟任何人倾诉 |
[14:58] | didn’t go the authorities, didn’t seek out therapy, | 不去当权部门 也不寻求治疗 |
[15:02] | what did you do? | 你会做什么 |
[15:04] | I handled it in my own way, I guess. | 我想 我会用自己的方式处理 |
[15:06] | I bulked up, I joined the army right out of high school. | 我长大后 高中一毕业就参军了 |
[15:09] | I-I figured if I could make myself a-a tough guy, | 我想如果我能成为一个硬汉 |
[15:12] | nobody would ever take advantage of me again. | 就再也不会受人欺负了 |
[15:15] | I got out of the service, I… | 退役后 我… |
[15:20] | married a wonderful woman, bought a little house. | 娶了个好姑娘 买了幢小房子 |
[15:24] | I was determined to live a normal life, | 我决心过正常的生活 |
[15:27] | despite what Maybrook did to me. | 不管梅布鲁克对我做过什么 |
[15:29] | And did that work? | 这有用吗 |
[15:31] | Well, I thought pretty well at first. | 起初一切安好 |
[15:34] | And then my wife wanted kids, | 后来我妻子想要孩子 |
[15:35] | and I couldn’t tell her why I didn’t. | 我无法告诉她 为什么我不想要 |
[15:37] | I couldn’t tell her that I was afraid | 我害怕 |
[15:39] | that I wouldn’t be able to protect them, | 没办法保护好他们 |
[15:40] | the way that I couldn’t protect my brother. | 正如我没能保护好我弟弟一样 |
[15:43] | Objection. Relevance? | 反对 与本案无关 |
[15:45] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[15:47] | You may continue. | 你可以继续了 |
[15:49] | I don’t know what else to say. | 我不知道还有什么能说了 |
[15:52] | I thought I was fine, and then one day, | 我以为我很好 直到有一天 |
[15:55] | I realized that I was totally alone. | 我意识到我完全是孑然一身 |
[15:58] | I’d lost everything. I lost my-my wife, | 我失去了一切 我的妻子 |
[16:01] | my brother. | 我的弟弟 |
[16:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:05] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[16:10] | Mr. Raposa, | 瑞波萨先生 |
[16:12] | do you know a man by the name of Morton Clemmons? | 你认识一个叫莫顿·克莱蒙斯的人吗 |
[16:15] | Mo Clemmons? Yeah. | 莫顿·克莱蒙斯吗 认识 |
[16:18] | Yeah, sure. I know him. | 是的 我认识他 |
[16:19] | He is a loan officer, isn’t he? | 他是个信贷员 对吗 |
[16:22] | Have you ever approached him about a loan? | 你和他谈过贷款的事吗 |
[16:24] | Objection. Relevance? | 反对 与本案无关 |
[16:26] | Uh, Your Honor, | 法官大人 |
[16:28] | the witness testified that he suddenly decided | 证人作证说 由于法条的变化 |
[16:31] | to tell this story about my client | 他突然决定讲 |
[16:33] | because of a change in the law. | 这个关于我当事人的故事 |
[16:34] | I intend to prove that there is, in fact, | 我打算证明他提出这个要求 |
[16:38] | another reason for his suit. | 实际上还有另一个原因 |
[16:40] | I’ll allow. The witness will answer the question. | 批准提问 证人请回答 |
[16:44] | Yes, I applied for a loan at the bank, | 是的 我向银行申请了一笔贷款 |
[16:46] | and he was the loan officer, yes. | 他是个信贷员 没错 |
[16:48] | In fact, you borrowed $15,000, didn’t you? | 事实上 你借了一万五千美元 对吗 |
[16:53] | Yes. I retired from the service a year ago. | 是的 我一年前退役了 |
[16:57] | I wanted a change of pace. | 我想改变一下生活节奏 |
[16:58] | I wanted to see my brother more often, | 我想多看看我弟弟 |
[17:00] | so I bought a body shop with my savings, | 所以我用积蓄买了一家汽车修理厂 |
[17:03] | but the equipment, | 但那些器材设备 |
[17:05] | it needed some upgrades, so… | 需要升级 所以… |
[17:07] | So you borrowed $15,000 | 所以你借了一万五千美元 |
[17:10] | and you have not been able to make those payments | 而你却无法 |
[17:14] | in a timely fashion, have you? | 及时还清这些款项 对吗 |
[17:16] | Well, I think I have, mostly. | 本来是可以还清的 |
[17:21] | The last 90 days, it’s been tricky. | 但过去的九十天里 有些棘手 |
[17:23] | My-my brother didn’t have insurance, so I had to pay | 我弟弟没有保险 |
[17:25] | for his last round of rehab, plus the funeral. | 所以我得支付他最后一轮康复治疗 还有葬礼 |
[17:29] | I have alimony payments. | 我得付赡养支出 |
[17:30] | The bank threatened to repossess your shop, didn’t they? | 银行威胁要抵押你的店 是吗 |
[17:36] | Do you recognize these e-mails | 你还记得这些邮件吗 |
[17:39] | between you and Mr. Clemmons? | 是你与克莱蒙斯先生的 |
[17:42] | Sure. Yeah. | 当然 我记得 |
[17:44] | And would you read the last one for me, | 你能帮我读一下最后一段吗 |
[17:47] | the one sent on the very morning you filed this lawsuit? | 就是你提起诉讼的当天早上写的那封 |
[17:52] | “Seriously, no need for the repo talk. | “说真的 没必要再提抵押的事了 |
[17:54] | “I have a plan. I’ll have the funds by the end of the month, | 我有个计划 月底就能拿到钱 |
[17:57] | guaranteed.” | 我保证” |
[17:58] | “By the end of the month, guaranteed.” | 在月底之前 保证 |
[18:02] | Where was this cash going to come from, Mr. Raposa? | 这些钱从何而来呢 瑞波萨先生 |
[18:06] | My client? | 从我客户这里吗 |
[18:08] | Was your plan to slander Mr. Maybrook | 你打算诽谤梅布鲁克先生吗 |
[18:11] | so that you could get your hands | 这样就能拿到 |
[18:13] | on the money you needed? | 你需要的钱了 |
[18:15] | No, of course not. | 当然不是 |
[18:17] | I was going to sell some machinery, maybe, | 我想也许可以卖一些机械 |
[18:21] | or maybe try to borrow | 或者尝试用我的军队退休金 |
[18:23] | a loan against my army pension. | 去借一笔贷款 |
[18:26] | Try? Maybe? | 尝试 也许 |
[18:29] | Sounds very different from the “Guarantee” | 这俩词听起来可跟 |
[18:32] | you promise in that e-mail. | 你在邮件里所说的保证大相径庭 |
[18:34] | I was buying time, so I exaggerated a little. | 我在争取时间 所以略微夸张了一点 |
[18:38] | Oh, you exaggerated a little? | 你夸张了一点 |
[18:39] | You exaggerated. | 你夸张了 |
[18:43] | Turns out he exaggerated, ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们先生们 事实证明他言过其实了 |
[18:45] | misrepresented the truth so that he could get what he wanted. | 为了得到他想要的东西 而歪曲事实 |
[18:49] | I wonder what else he has misrepresented here today. | 我想知道 今天他还歪曲了什么 |
[18:53] | – Objection. – Sustained. | – 反对 – 反对有效 |
[18:55] | Jury will disregard. | 陪审团将无视 |
[18:57] | Did they? | 是吗 |
[18:58] | Nope. Not a one of them. | 并没有 他们没有一人无视 |
[19:01] | Every green is gone, Bull. | 每个支持都变成反对了 比尔 |
[19:12] | Suggesting that a man is lying about his being abused | 暗示评审团 一个男人因为钱的问题 |
[19:15] | because he has money problems… | 而谎报自己被虐待… |
[19:18] | How does an attorney put that out there with a straight face? | 这律师怎么能一脸严肃地说出这话来 |
[19:20] | Because, sadly, it works. | 不幸在于 因为这确实有效 |
[19:22] | Fills the jury with doubt, | 陪审团里充斥着怀疑 |
[19:24] | and the truth is, we might be employing the same strategy | 其实如果我们替梅布鲁克辩护 |
[19:26] | if we were representing Maybrook. | 可能也会采用同样的策略 |
[19:27] | Except I would never be Maybrook’s attorney. | 但我永远不会成为梅布鲁克的律师 |
[19:30] | Defend someone who hurts children? | 为伤害儿童的人辩护 |
[19:32] | That would never happen. | 我做不到 |
[19:35] | But it did work, didn’t it? | 但这么做确实奏效了 是吧 |
[19:39] | Hopefully, Danny’s potential witness | 值得庆幸的是 丹尼的潜在证人 |
[19:41] | will be waiting for us back at the office, | 在办公室等着我们 |
[19:43] | and with any luck, his story will sound enough like Stephen’s | 幸运的话 如果他的故事听起来就像斯蒂芬的一样 |
[19:46] | to resonate with the jury. | 就可以引起陪审团的共鸣 |
[19:48] | It was a couple of nights after the Captain’s Dinner. | 那是船长晚餐的几晚后 |
[19:51] | His assistant Lydia said he wanted to see me. | 他的助手莉迪亚说他想见我 |
[19:55] | I can’t lie. | 我不能说谎 |
[19:57] | I was pretty excited. | 我很兴奋 |
[19:59] | Why’s that? | 为什么 |
[20:00] | Cause my family was poor and Maybrook wasn’t. | 因为我家很穷 而梅布鲁克很富有 |
[20:03] | He had a Sega, he had a PS1, | 他有世嘉游戏机 还有PS1型号的相机 |
[20:07] | all these cool cameras, his very own darkroom. | 而且还有属于自己的暗房 |
[20:11] | And I had heard sometimes he let kids drink his liquor. | 而且我听说有时 他会让孩子们喝酒 |
[20:14] | Are you saying he offered you alcohol? | 你是说他给你喝酒了 |
[20:16] | Eventually. | 最后的时候 |
[20:17] | How’d you feel about that? | 你感觉怎么样 |
[20:18] | Thought I’d died and gone to heaven. | 感觉像上了天堂 |
[20:22] | My dad was in jail. | 我爸爸在蹲监狱 |
[20:25] | I lived with my aunt… who, between us, | 我和我姨住在一起… |
[20:29] | had her own issues with drugs. | 她自己有吸毒的问题 |
[20:32] | Truth is, I remember thinking, “This is pretty good.” | 事实是 我记得我当时在想 这可太爽了 |
[20:36] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[20:37] | Let’s go back to the time you spent alone with Mr. Maybrook. | 说回你和梅布鲁克先生独处的时候 |
[20:42] | Did he touch you? | 他碰过你吗 |
[20:44] | Sure. All the time. | 碰过 无时无刻 |
[20:47] | At first, it was small stuff. | 起初 只是细小的触碰 |
[20:49] | He’d rub my shoulders, squeeze my arm. | 他揉我的肩膀 捏我的胳膊 |
[20:53] | I see. | 了解 |
[20:55] | And did it get more intimate, more sexual? | 接下来有没有更亲密的 更性行为的接触呢 |
[21:03] | Yeah. | 有 |
[21:05] | Of course. | 当然 |
[21:09] | Can you describe these interactions | 你能描述一下你和梅布鲁克的 |
[21:11] | you had with Maybrook? | 这些相互接触吗 |
[21:13] | There was no interaction. | 我们没有相互接触 |
[21:16] | That would imply two people participating. | 相互意味着有两个人参与 |
[21:18] | There was just him getting you drunk, | 但事实是 他把你灌醉了 |
[21:22] | getting you high, and taking what he wanted. | 让你兴奋起来 然后他得到他想要的 |
[21:25] | I know it must be difficult, | 我知道这一定很难 |
[21:27] | but if you could just tell us about that. | 但如果你能告诉我们 |
[21:31] | What he did, how he did it. | 他做了什么 怎么做的 |
[21:34] | How it felt? | 什么感觉 |
[21:39] | I’m sorry. I know this is really difficult, | 抱歉 我知道这很困难 |
[21:42] | and I don’t mean to make you uncomfortable, | 我不想让你感到不舒服 |
[21:44] | but it’s incredibly important that the jury hear from someone, | 但是让陪审团从我们客户之外的人那里 |
[21:47] | anyone, other than our client. | 听到这些内容很重要 |
[21:51] | Someone who’s been victimized by Maybrook. | 从一个梅布鲁克的受害者那里 |
[21:54] | You understand that? | 你明白吗 |
[21:56] | If we don’t ask you, the other side will. | 如果我们不问你的话 另一方也会的 |
[22:09] | My wife was right. I’m sorry, I can’t. | 我妻子是对的 我很抱歉我做不到 |
[22:11] | I-I just can’t do this. | 我做不到 |
[22:12] | Did you think you wouldn’t be asked? | 你本以为不会问你这些吗 |
[22:14] | I guess I was hoping | 我只是以为 |
[22:16] | it would be good enough if I showed up. | 我光是出现就行了 |
[22:18] | I don’t actually think I could go up in front | 我没以为自己能够站在法庭上 |
[22:20] | of a courtroom full of people and go into details. | 跟这么多人说这些细节 |
[22:22] | But Alan, | 但阿伦 |
[22:23] | without your testimony, it is our client’s word | 没有你的证词 情况就纯粹是我们客户的话 |
[22:25] | against Maybrook’s. | 对上梅布鲁克的话 |
[22:27] | He doesn’t stand a chance. | 他没机会的 |
[22:30] | I know. | 我知道 |
[22:35] | But if I answer that question, | 但如果我回答了那个问题 |
[22:38] | if I say those things out loud, in court, | 如果我在法庭 那么多陌生人的面前 |
[22:42] | in a room full of strangers, | 说出来的话 |
[22:46] | how long before the whole world looks at me | 要不了多久 整个世界看着我 |
[22:48] | and only sees what happened? | 都只看得到发生的事情 |
[22:51] | Sees a victim? | 只看到一个受害者 |
[22:54] | Not the success that I’ve become… | 而不是我成功的事业 |
[23:00] | …but the broken kid I used to be. | …只看到那个受伤的孩子 |
[23:06] | The gullible child | 一个梅布鲁克伤害过的 |
[23:08] | Maybrook did horrible things to. | 好骗的孩子 |
[23:15] | Look, | 听着 |
[23:16] | if it were just me, maybe. | 如果只是我 那或许可以 |
[23:20] | But I have a wife to think about. Kids. | 但我有妻子 孩子 |
[23:25] | How could I explain all this to my kids? | 我怎么给我孩子们解释这一切 |
[23:29] | I’m sorry. I-I wish you and your client | 我很抱歉 我祝福 |
[23:31] | all the luck in the world. | 你和你的客户好运 |
[23:32] | And I’m sorry I wasted your time. | 很抱歉浪费了你们的时间 |
[23:38] | U-Uh, let me walk you out. | 我带你出去 |
[23:46] | Please sit. | 请坐 |
[23:48] | Mr. Colon, you may call your next witness. | 科隆先生 你可以传唤你的下一个证人了 |
[23:51] | Uh, Your Honor, the witness we had scheduled | 法官大人 我们安排的证人 |
[23:54] | is no longer available to testify at this time. | 不再能够作证了 |
[23:57] | We request a continuance | 我们请求延期 |
[23:59] | in order to secure an adequate replacement. | 来找到合适的替代 |
[24:02] | Due to the backlog on this court’s docket, and the fact | 由于这个案子的拖延问题 以及 |
[24:05] | that the events at issue here occurred 24 years ago, | 事情是二十四年前发生的 |
[24:08] | I feel this case cannot afford further delay. | 我认为这个案子不能再拖了 |
[24:11] | I’m denying your request. | 我驳回你的请求 |
[24:12] | Uh, respectfully, | 无冒犯之意 |
[24:14] | Your Honor, though the events of this case happened | 法官大人 由于这个案子发生于 |
[24:18] | a long time ago, the lookback window opened just recently. | 很久以前 回溯的机会我们却是刚刚才得到的 |
[24:22] | We’ve been working under a condensed time line, | 我们的时间一直十分有限 |
[24:24] | and we had no way of predicting | 也无法预测 |
[24:26] | this turn of events with our witness. | 这个证人的突发事件 |
[24:29] | Well… Be that as it may, do you have any other witnesses | 不管怎样 你们现在 |
[24:31] | at your disposal at this time? | 有其他证人吗 |
[24:35] | No, Your Honor. | 没有 法官大人 |
[24:36] | Ms. Grossman, | 格罗斯曼小姐 |
[24:37] | is the defense prepared to call its first witness? | 被告准备好传唤第一个证人了吗 |
[24:39] | We are, Your Honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[24:41] | The defense calls Peter Maybrook. | 被告传唤皮特·梅布鲁克 |
[24:44] | The inclination for opening the camp? | 为什么开夏令营吗 |
[24:48] | I think that’s pretty clear. | 我觉得很容易理解 |
[24:50] | I don’t want to bore the jury with my story. | 我不想让陪审团感到无聊 |
[24:53] | I’m pretty sure that you’ve heard it before. | 但你们肯定听过这种故事 |
[24:55] | But the essence of it is, I grew up in the projects. | 但事实就是 我是这么长大的 |
[25:00] | No dad. | 没有爸爸 |
[25:01] | Mom who wouldn’t come home | 妈妈经常 |
[25:03] | for days at a time. | 好几天不回家 |
[25:05] | But when you’re growing up, | 但在你逐渐长大时 |
[25:06] | you don’t know that any of that’s not normal. | 你意识不到这一切不正常 |
[25:10] | I’m sure I don’t need | 我估计不用解释过多了 |
[25:11] | to tell you, but they love this guy. | 但他们很喜欢这家伙 |
[25:13] | Anyway, when I was 13, | 不管怎样 我当时十三岁 |
[25:16] | I was picked to go | 我被选中 |
[25:17] | to a fresh air camp upstate | 参加纽约州北部的夏令营 |
[25:19] | for two weeks in the summer. | 在那里待了两周 |
[25:24] | Changed everything. | 改变了一切 |
[25:27] | Saved my life. | 救了我 |
[25:29] | There was a counselor up there who… | 那里有个心理医生… |
[25:32] | don’t ask me why… he took an interest in me. | 也不知道为什么… 他对我很感兴趣 |
[25:34] | I know it’s been almost a quarter-century, | 我知道已经快二十五年了 |
[25:36] | but I swear this is word for word the same nonsense | 但我发誓这和他夏令营第一天胡说的 |
[25:38] | he spewed on the first day of camp. | 每个字都一样 |
[25:42] | …and put me on a horse | …让我骑马 |
[25:43] | For the first time. | 有史以来第一次 |
[25:45] | And then, after the two weeks was up, he stayed in touch. | 那之后 两周结束 他一直保持联系 |
[25:50] | Wrote me letters, | 给我写信 |
[25:51] | called me on the phone, asked me about school. | 打电话 问我学校的事 |
[25:55] | Even dropped by once in a while. | 还来见了我好几次 |
[25:58] | Things that nobody else was doing. | 从没有人做过这种事 |
[26:01] | The combination of that man, | 那个人 |
[26:04] | and that experience gave me | 以及那段经历 |
[26:06] | the ability to see a future, which was something | 让我看到了未来 |
[26:12] | I-I had never really contemplated before. | 看到了我从来没有想过的事 |
[26:14] | So when I started experiencing all my success, | 所以我开始感受到成功之后 |
[26:18] | I just thought, | 我就觉得 |
[26:20] | I want to recreate that experience for someone else. | 我想为其他人再次创造这种经历 |
[26:24] | I want to give back. | 我想回馈社会 |
[26:26] | Objection! | 反对 |
[26:28] | Relevance, Your Honor. | 关联性 法官大人 |
[26:29] | This is a sexual assault and battery trial, | 这是性侵犯性暴力的审判 |
[26:32] | not a testimonial dinner. | 不是庆功会 |
[26:34] | What-what are we listening to here? | 我们在听什么 |
[26:35] | Your Honor, | 法官大人 |
[26:36] | the plaintiff and his attorney are painting | 原告和他的律师把梅布鲁克先生的 |
[26:38] | Mr. Maybrook’s camp like some kind of den of iniquity. | 夏令营描绘得像是什么罪恶之地一样 |
[26:42] | – It’s only fair that I be… – Enough. | – 那我这样就公平… – 你们够了 |
[26:44] | Both of you. On this point, I’m finding myself agreeing | 这个问题上 我同意 |
[26:46] | with Mr. Colon. | 科隆先生的观点 |
[26:48] | Let’s move it along, Ms. Grossman. | 下一个问题 格罗斯曼小姐 |
[26:51] | Fine. Mr. Maybrook, did you host private dinners | 好 梅布鲁克先生 你有在你的家宅里 |
[26:54] | for the cabin captains at your estate? | 为小队长们举办私人晚餐吗 |
[26:57] | I did. Yes. | 是的 |
[26:59] | These young men had achieved something. | 这些年轻人有些成就 |
[27:02] | I felt it was important to show them | 我认为告诉他们 |
[27:04] | that hard work reaped rewards. | 努力会换来回报是很重要的 |
[27:06] | The plaintiff has asserted that you invited him back | 原告声称你多次请他 |
[27:10] | to your house alone on several occasions. | 回到你的家中 |
[27:13] | Is that also true? | 这也是真的吗 |
[27:14] | It is. You have to remember, this was almost 25 years ago. | 是的 你们得记住 这是将近二十五年前了 |
[27:18] | The social mores have changed, | 社会习惯不太一样 |
[27:21] | but at the time, it wasn’t unusual for a responsible adult | 但当时 一个有责任感的负责管理的成年人 |
[27:26] | to be alone with a young person in his charge. | 和一个年轻人独处是很正常的 |
[27:28] | That all sounds very reasonable to me. | 这都听起来很合理 |
[27:31] | But I would be remiss if I did not ask this question: | 但我必须问你这个问题 |
[27:35] | Mr. Maybrook, do you have any idea why Mr. Raposa | 梅布鲁克先生 你知道瑞波萨先生 |
[27:40] | was able to describe your bathroom in such detail? | 为什么能够十分具体地描述你的卫生间吗 |
[27:45] | What he said about the camper’s wash cabins was true. | 他说的关于夏令营的事都是真的 |
[27:48] | Their hot water was inconsistent. | 他们的热水供应不稳定 |
[27:50] | So some of the young men would occasionally ask | 所以有些年轻人偶尔会问我 |
[27:53] | to use my shower, and I let them. | 能否使用我的卫生间 我同意了 |
[27:56] | Maybe-maybe I shouldn’t have. | 或许 或许我不该的 |
[27:59] | And when you allowed one of these campers | 你允许其中的孩子 |
[28:01] | to shower in your residence… | 在你的住所洗澡… |
[28:05] | …did you ever have occasion to join them? | …你有没有和他们一起过 |
[28:10] | – Oh… – To shower with them? | – 哦… – 和他们一起洗澡 |
[28:13] | My God, of course not. | 天啊 当然没有 |
[28:14] | Then how do you account for Mr. Raposa’s testimony? | 那你怎么解释瑞波萨先生的证词 |
[28:17] | I-I can’t, because it simply isn’t true. | 我 我解释不了 因为那不是真的 |
[28:20] | Now, are-are you saying that | 你是在说 |
[28:22] | you recollect it differently? | 你的记忆有所不同吗 |
[28:25] | Look, I remember Mr. Raposa. | 听着 我记得瑞波萨先生 |
[28:30] | He was a promising young man. | 他是个有前途的年轻人 |
[28:33] | I simply wanted to help him, period. | 我只是想帮助他 |
[28:38] | So it’s heartbreaking to hear him lying about me in this way. | 所以看到他这样诬陷我 我很伤心 |
[28:42] | I can only guess that he needs someone to blame | 我只能说他是想找到可以怪罪的人 |
[28:45] | for the way that his life turned out. | 因为他的生活过得一团糟 |
[28:48] | Objection. Witness is speculating. | 反对 目击证人是在推测 |
[28:51] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[28:52] | The jury will disregard Mr. Maybrook’s comments. | 陪审团不会采纳梅布鲁克先生的证词 |
[28:55] | You say Mr. Raposa is lying. | 你说瑞波萨先生在撒谎 |
[28:58] | Why should the jury believe you and not Mr. Raposa? | 那么陪审团为何要相信你的话而不是瑞波萨的呢 |
[29:02] | Well, let’s start with the fact that I wasn’t even there. | 还是回到事实上来吧 我当时并不在场 |
[29:05] | I’m sorry, how do you mean? | 抱歉 你在说什么 |
[29:08] | The night that Mr. Raposa keeps referencing, | 瑞波萨反复提及的那个晚上 |
[29:10] | the night that Michael Johnson won the gold in the 400 | 也就是迈克尔·约翰逊在亚特兰大奥运会上赢得四百米 |
[29:13] | in the Atlanta Olympics? | 金牌的那个晚上 |
[29:15] | I remember it perfectly. | 我记得非常清楚 |
[29:18] | Except it was early morning where I was, in a pub in Dublin, | 除了凌晨以外 我都在都柏林的一家酒吧里 |
[29:23] | celebrating a new store opening with my international team. | 和我的国际小组庆祝新店的开业 |
[29:26] | Order, please. | 请安静 |
[29:29] | Your Honor, I would like | 法官大人 我想 |
[29:32] | to enter this stamped passport into evidence, | 送呈这本盖章护照作为证据 |
[29:36] | which documents the fact that Mr. Maybrook was, | 这上面记录了梅布鲁克先生的行踪 |
[29:42] | in fact, out of the country from mid-July | 事实上 1996年他从七月中旬就出国了 |
[29:47] | through early August 1996, | 一直待到八月初 |
[29:50] | the exact time Mr. Raposa’s alleged abuse took place. | 正是瑞波萨先生所谓遭受虐待的时间 |
[29:54] | So entered. | 允许 |
[30:04] | It just doesn’t make sense. Do we believe his passport’s real? | 这没用的 难道他的护照是真的吗 |
[30:06] | – He’s a rich guy. Maybe… – It’s real. | – 他那么有钱 说不定… – 是真的 |
[30:08] | Our team authenticated it. | 我们团队已经验证过了 |
[30:10] | Also found credit card receipts and hotel records. | 还找了信用卡记录和酒店记录 |
[30:13] | Maybrook really was in Dublin. | 梅布鲁克当时确实是在都柏林 |
[30:15] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[30:17] | You know me, Marissa. I-I didn’t make this up. | 你了解我 玛丽莎 我没有凭空捏造 |
[30:19] | I’m not a liar. | 我不会说谎的 |
[30:21] | Of course you didn’t. Of course you aren’t. | 你当然没有 你当然不会说谎 |
[30:23] | Look, I spent years telling people | 很多年来我都告诉别人 |
[30:25] | I met my adoptive mom on my ninth birthday. | 我是在我九岁生日的时候遇到了我的养母 |
[30:28] | Years. | 许多年 |
[30:29] | I remembered that day so clearly. | 我清楚地记得那一天 |
[30:32] | My foster mom threw a plate at my head that morning | 那天早上她把一个盘子砸在我脑袋上 |
[30:34] | because the dishes weren’t done. | 因为我没把它洗干净 |
[30:35] | Got me right here. | 疤痕还在这呢 |
[30:37] | Anyway, that afternoon at school, there was cake. | 但是下午在学校的时候 我吃到了蛋糕 |
[30:40] | I wished on those candles with all my might for a new family. | 我当时只有一个愿望 希望我能拥有一个新的家庭 |
[30:44] | And who was at the social worker’s office that night | 而那天晚上在社工办公室的人 |
[30:46] | but my new mom. | 正是我的养母 |
[30:48] | Wow. That’s amazing. | 太巧了 |
[30:50] | It’s also not true. | 这也并不是真的 |
[30:52] | A few years back, I was going through old paperwork, | 几年前 我把所有档案看了个遍 |
[30:55] | and realized I hadn’t actually met my mom | 才知道我是将近十岁的时候 |
[30:57] | until I was nearly ten. | 才遇到了我的养母 |
[30:59] | Memory. It’s malleable. | 记忆啊 是可塑的 |
[31:02] | Especially when it comes to children. | 尤其是童年的记忆 |
[31:04] | Especially when it comes to trauma. | 尤其是关于创伤的记忆 |
[31:08] | So what does this mean for my case? | 那这对我的案子而言又能说明什么 |
[31:09] | It means we call a rebuttal witness. | 这说明我们需要一个能够证伪的目击证人 |
[31:11] | It’s why we asked for a day’s continuance, | 所以我今天申请了一天的延期 |
[31:13] | so we can line up some experts who can explain to the jury | 这样我们就有时间找一些专家来向陪审团说明 |
[31:16] | that PTSD can lead to the repression of some memories | PTSD可能会导致部分记忆缺失 |
[31:20] | and the conflation of others. | 也可能会使不同记忆混合 |
[31:22] | Don’t worry. | 别担心 |
[31:25] | We’ll get through this. | 我们会渡过难关的 |
[31:27] | We’re not done. | 我们还有机会 |
[31:34] | Hallelujah. | 谢天谢地 |
[31:35] | You have to share. | 快跟我们说说 |
[31:36] | The child psychologist | 儿童心理学家 |
[31:38] | I reached out to, the one who specializes | 就是我联系的那位 她专门研究 |
[31:40] | in trauma and memory? | 创伤和记忆问题 |
[31:41] | She just texted “Yes.” | 她回复我说”好” |
[31:44] | She’s agreed to meet with Stephen, | 她同意见见斯蒂芬 |
[31:46] | and if that meeting goes well, | 如果见面顺利的话 |
[31:48] | she’s willing to testify on his behalf. | 她愿意为他出庭作证 |
[31:50] | If only that were all there was to it. | 如果真能这么顺利就好了 |
[31:52] | What are you talking about? | 你是什么意思 |
[31:54] | Maybrook’s attorney just e-mailed me | 梅布鲁克的律师刚刚给我发邮件了 |
[31:57] | an updated witness list. | 是一份最新的证人名单 |
[31:58] | There are more names on here | 这上面的名字比 |
[32:00] | than the credits of a Marvel movie. | 漫威电影的演职人员还要多 |
[32:04] | Camp alumni, former staffers, | 包括校友 前同事 |
[32:06] | his head of philanthropic giving. | 还有他慈善机构的负责人 |
[32:08] | All people who are gonna sing Maybrook’s praises | 这些人都会不遗余力地 |
[32:10] | to the high heavens. | 为梅布鲁克贴金 |
[32:12] | Got it. She’s gonna inundate the jury | 我懂 她是想要让陪审团沉浸在 |
[32:14] | with character witnesses. | 这些证人的溢美之词中 |
[32:15] | So by the time we get our shot at rebuttal, | 到时候就算我们提出反驳 |
[32:18] | the jury will be so weary, they won’t even hear | 陪审团也会感到不耐烦 甚至听都不听 |
[32:20] | what we have to say. | 我们说的话 |
[32:21] | Wait a second. | 等等 |
[32:23] | Is this the entire list? Is this everyone? | 这是完整的名单吗 所有人都在上面了吗 |
[32:25] | It’s three pages long, Taylor. You want more? | 这已经足足三页了 泰勒 你还嫌不够多吗 |
[32:27] | No, I just… | 不 我就是… |
[32:28] | Lydia Helms, his former assistant. | 莉迪亚·赫尔曼是他的前任助理 |
[32:31] | How come she’s not on the list? | 她为什么不在名单上 |
[32:33] | Lydia. | 莉迪亚 |
[32:35] | She’s the one Stephen talked about. | 斯蒂芬曾经提起过她 |
[32:37] | Mr. Coleman, the other night in my office. | 科尔曼先生那天晚上在我办公室里提到过 |
[32:40] | She would make the approach. | 是她找到这些男孩们 |
[32:41] | She would invite them up to the house. | 她邀请他们到家里去 |
[32:44] | Didn’t Marissa reach out to her before the trial? | 玛丽莎在开庭之前没有联系她吗 |
[32:47] | Yeah. She worked with him for years. | 是的 她与他共事多年 |
[32:49] | Apparently she just loved him. | 很显然她爱他 |
[32:51] | But if that’s the case, why isn’t the defense | 但如果是这样的话 为什么被告方 |
[32:53] | putting her on the stand? | 没有把她列入名单呢 |
[32:58] | Can I help you? | 请问你找谁 |
[33:01] | Yes. I’m looking for Mrs. Helms. Mrs. Lydia Helms. | 我来找赫尔曼女士 莉迪亚·赫尔曼 |
[33:05] | And you are… | 请问你是… |
[33:06] | I’m Dr. Jason Bull. | 我是杰森·布尔博士 |
[33:07] | I’m representing Mr. Stephen Raposa | 是斯蒂芬·瑞波萨的代理律师 |
[33:09] | in a civil suit against Peter Maybrook, | 对皮特·梅布鲁克提起民事诉讼 |
[33:11] | who I believe you worked for. | 我知道您曾与他共事 |
[33:13] | You know, I’ve already had this conversation | 我已经和您的一位女同事 |
[33:16] | with a woman from your office. | 进行过谈话了 |
[33:18] | As I explained to her, I really have nothing to say. | 我也向她说明了 我无可奉告 |
[33:22] | Right. | 好吧 |
[33:25] | Aren’t you worried he’s gonna do it again? | 但你不担心他重蹈覆辙吗 |
[33:31] | I’d be grateful if you’d invite me in. | 如果您允许我进去的话 我将深表感激 |
[33:33] | I’ll only need ten minutes of your time. | 我只耽误您十分钟的时间 |
[33:35] | Save us both the trouble of me having to subpoena you. | 这样也能省了我们不得不传唤您的麻烦 |
[33:39] | The truth is, I don’t know anything. | 但我确实无可奉告 |
[33:42] | Not for certain, not that I’d swear to in court. | 如果我说的不是真话 我是不会在法庭上发誓的 |
[33:45] | But you suspected something. | 但是你对某些事情有所怀疑 |
[33:47] | Not until that last summer. | 直到最后的那个夏天 |
[33:49] | Peter decided to close the camp. | 皮特决定终止夏令营项目 |
[33:51] | Anyway, we-we were selling the estate, | 反正最后我们把房子卖掉了 |
[33:54] | and I was helping to prepare for the move. | 我还帮着准备搬迁 |
[33:57] | Peter was an avid photographer, | 皮特是个狂热的摄影师 |
[33:59] | and I knew he loved his darkroom, | 我知道他深爱他的暗房 |
[34:00] | so I decided I would just pack it myself. | 所以我决定亲自整理打包 |
[34:05] | And did you see something in the darkroom? | 你在暗房里看到了什么吗 |
[34:08] | Not what you think. | 不是你想的那样 |
[34:11] | Nothing lewd. | 没有淫秽的东西 |
[34:13] | Just… pictures of boys. | 只是…男孩们的照片 |
[34:19] | Everywhere. | 到处都是 |
[34:21] | And taken with such affection. | 而且充满情愫 |
[34:24] | He made them all look beautiful, like-like an artist | 他们把他们照得美极了 就像是艺术家 |
[34:28] | when he paints his lover or his muse. | 在画他的挚爱或缪斯女神 |
[34:32] | It was like he was trying to | 就好像他拼命地 |
[34:34] | desperately capture something, hold onto something. | 绝望地想要捕捉到什么 留住些什么 |
[34:39] | It felt intensely private. | 让人一看就感觉非常私密 |
[34:45] | Hello. | 喂 |
[34:46] | Stephen, am I catching you at dinner? | 斯蒂芬 今晚能请你吃个饭吗 |
[34:48] | It’s Jason Bull. There’s something I’d like to ask you. | 我是杰森·布尔 我有些事想问问你 |
[34:50] | Sure. | 好的 |
[34:51] | Do you remember Maybrook ever taking photos of you, | 你还记得梅布鲁克曾经给你 |
[34:54] | or maybe the two of you together? | 或者给你们两个一起拍过照吗 |
[34:56] | Uh, no. I remember hearing he had a darkroom, | 没有 我听说过他有一间暗房 |
[35:00] | but I don’t remember him taking pictures. Why? | 但我不记得他有拍过照 为什么这么问 |
[35:02] | Did Ryan ever talk about Maybrook taking pictures? | 莱恩有说过梅布鲁克拍照的事吗 |
[35:05] | Ryan talked about a lot of things | 一说到梅布鲁克 |
[35:06] | when it came to Maybrook. | 莱恩就会滔滔不绝 |
[35:07] | Mostly I tried to tune him out. | 很多时候我都不得不打断他才行 |
[35:10] | But I do remember the night he ransacked Maybrook’s place. | 但我记得他洗劫梅布鲁克家的那晚 |
[35:13] | He brought back three or four cameras. | 带回来三四个相机 |
[35:15] | I figured he probably wanted to sell them for drug money, | 我猜他可能是想把它们卖了去买毒品 |
[35:18] | so I took them, hid them. | 所以就把那些相机藏了起来 |
[35:20] | I didn’t want him getting caught. | 我不想他被抓 |
[35:22] | Getting in more trouble. | 惹上更多麻烦 |
[35:24] | You took them. | 你拿走了相机 |
[35:25] | Any chance you still have ’em? | 现在还在你那吗 |
[35:32] | Your Honor, in light of some new evidence | 法官大人 由于我们 |
[35:34] | that’s just been brought to our attention, | 新发现了一些证据 |
[35:37] | the plaintiff would like to recall | 原告想再次请 |
[35:38] | Peter Maybrook to the stand. | 皮特·梅布鲁克走上证人席 |
[35:45] | Mr. Maybrook, now, I understand | 梅布鲁克先生 我知道 |
[35:48] | you have an interest in photography. | 你对摄影很感兴趣 |
[35:50] | I do. | 是的 |
[35:53] | Do you recognize this camera? | 你能认出这台相机吗 |
[35:55] | I believe it belonged to you at one time. | 我相信它曾属于你 |
[35:58] | I-I have no idea. | 我不清楚 |
[36:01] | I-I may have had a camera like that in the past. | 我以前可能是有过类似的相机 |
[36:04] | Oh, well, | 好吧 |
[36:07] | w-would it surprise you to learn | 我们在这台相机上发现了你的指纹 |
[36:10] | that your fingerprints were found on this camera? | 这对你算是惊讶吗 |
[36:13] | Or that we contacted the manufacturer | 我们联系了制造商 |
[36:17] | and learned that you sent a warranty card | 得知你曾寄了一张和这台相机 |
[36:20] | for a camera with the exact same serial numbers as this one? | 序列号完全一样的保修卡 |
[36:25] | It seems like it might have been my camera. | 那看来着可能就是我的相机吧 |
[36:30] | I appreciate you conceding that, sir. | 很高兴你能承认 先生 |
[36:33] | See, but here’s the thing. | 但事情是这样 |
[36:36] | Did you know the reason we found this camera… | 你知道我们之所以能找到这台相机 |
[36:40] | the reason I am able to show it to you here today | 能在这里展示给你看 |
[36:43] | is because Ryan Raposa, my client’s late brother, | 是因为它是我委托人已故的弟弟莱恩·瑞波萨 |
[36:47] | stole it from you? | 从你那偷来的吗 |
[36:50] | You remember that? | 你记得吗 |
[36:53] | About ten years ago, your home was burglarized. | 大约十年前 你家曾遭到盗窃 |
[36:57] | I believe, along with everything else, | 我相信 除了其他东西以外 |
[37:00] | four cameras were taken. | 小偷还拿走了四台相机 |
[37:02] | Did you know that Ryan was the thief? | 你知道莱恩就是那个小偷吗 |
[37:06] | Turns out he was… he was very angry with you. | 即使那么多年过去了 他依然 |
[37:10] | Even after all these years. | 对你的所作所为十分愤怒 |
[37:13] | See, I’m guessing you never knew. | 我猜你从来都不知道 |
[37:15] | I’m guessing you never told the police | 也没报过警 |
[37:17] | because you were afraid of what they might find here. | 因为你怕他们在这台相机里会发现什么 |
[37:20] | Turns out it’s been in my client’s basement | 原来这么多年来相机都在我委托人的 |
[37:22] | this whole time. | 地下室里 |
[37:23] | Objection. Relevance. | 我有异议 这和本案无关 |
[37:25] | I don’t see what this has to do with anything. | 我不觉得这和案子有什么联系 |
[37:27] | Your Honor, if you will permit me, | 法官大人 如您允许 |
[37:30] | I assure you that I will prove to the court | 我向您保证 我会向法庭证明 |
[37:33] | just how relevant this camera is. | 这台相机有多重要 |
[37:34] | Go ahead. | 继续 |
[37:36] | To make things easier for everyone to see, | 为了让大家看得更清楚 |
[37:40] | I’m gonna connect this camera to this computer, | 我会把相机连接到这台电脑上 |
[37:44] | and broadcast the images | 把图片放映到 |
[37:48] | to the monitor right next to Mr. Maybrook. | 梅布鲁克先生右边的显示屏上 |
[37:52] | Hey, is that you in the photo there, Mr. Maybrook? | 照片里是你吗 梅布鲁克先生 |
[37:55] | Ten or so years ago, yes. | 对 十多年前 |
[37:59] | What about this photo? | 那这张照片呢 |
[38:05] | Now, what was going on there? | 这是怎么回事呢 |
[38:07] | You set up a timer or something? | 你设置了定时拍摄还是什么 |
[38:11] | Ah, that’s okay. | 没关系 |
[38:14] | That’s all right. | 不要紧 |
[38:16] | I was just trying to figure out | 我只是想弄明白 |
[38:17] | if there was a third person in the room. | 房间里是否有第三个人 |
[38:20] | That’s not important, right? | 这不重要 是吧 |
[38:23] | What is important is that we all agree that | 重要的是我们都同意 |
[38:26] | that is you in the photo. | 照片里的是你 |
[38:29] | On the left-hand side of the frame | 在照片的左边 |
[38:30] | with your shirt off and your arms around… | 你脱了衣服 抱着… |
[38:35] | we’ll get to him in a minute. | 我们稍后再说他 |
[38:37] | That you, sir? | 这是你吗 先生 |
[38:39] | It seems to be. | 好像是的 |
[38:41] | I’m sorry, I need a yes or no. | 抱歉 你需要回答是或不是 |
[38:44] | Mr. Maybrook? | 梅布鲁克先生 |
[38:48] | Yes. | 是 |
[38:49] | What about the boy in this photo? | 那这张照片里的男孩呢 |
[38:53] | That boy right there. | 那个男孩 |
[38:55] | He must be about 13. | 他应该是十三岁左右吧 |
[38:58] | He has his shirt off, too, | 他也没穿衣服 |
[39:00] | and you two are holding each other. | 你们两个抱着对方 |
[39:02] | You happen to remember his name? | 你记得他的名字吗 |
[39:06] | I’m not sure. | 我不确定 |
[39:09] | Roberto… Renaldo… | 罗伯托… 罗纳尔多… |
[39:13] | I’m not sure. | 我不确定 |
[39:15] | Eh, you’re not sure. | 你不确定 |
[39:17] | That’s all right, that’s all right, Mr. Maybrook. | 没关系 不要紧 梅布鲁克先生 |
[39:20] | What about this photo? | 这张照片呢 |
[39:21] | That you? | 是你吗 |
[39:24] | In the picture? | 照片里的 |
[39:26] | Let the record reflect that I have just shown the defendant | 请记录下来 我刚才给被告看了一张 |
[39:29] | a photo of himself naked | 他和一名未成年人 |
[39:33] | in a bathroom with a minor! | 在浴室里裸体的照片 |
[39:39] | Actually, I’m not certain that is me. | 事实上 我不确定那是我 |
[39:42] | Yeah? | 是吗 |
[39:44] | Hey, let me remind you that you are still under oath. | 我先提醒你一下 你可是宣过誓的 |
[39:47] | I’d also like you to know that I’ve got | 我还想告诉你 |
[39:49] | 33 more images very much like this one, | 我有三十三张和这张差不多的照片 |
[39:52] | and I am happy to show the court all of them, | 我很乐意向法庭展示所有照片 |
[39:55] | and ask you to identify yourself on each and every one. | 并请你在每一张照片上确认自己的身份 |
[39:58] | Or you can concede that that is you, | 或者你可以承认那就是你 |
[40:01] | and for the moment, the slide show is over. | 幻灯片放映就可以暂告一段落 |
[40:04] | Your choice. | 由你选择 |
[40:11] | Actually, uh… | 事实上… |
[40:14] | on reflection… | 我回忆了一下… |
[40:19] | …I believe that is me. | 我认为那确实是我 |
[40:27] | Oh, God. | 天哪 |
[40:29] | Bull, tell Stephen he did it. | 布尔 告诉斯蒂芬他成功了 |
[40:31] | I think he knows, Marissa. | 我想他已经知道了 玛丽莎 |
[40:33] | I think he knows. | 他已经知道了 |
[40:42] | You think he’s happy? | 你觉得他会高兴吗 |
[40:43] | I didn’t know him, other than what you told me. | 除了你告诉我的那些 我对他一无所知 |
[40:46] | But you picked a beautiful spot for his ashes. | 但你倒是挑了一个好地方存放他的骨灰 |
[40:52] | $35 million. | 三千五百万 |
[40:54] | You think it-it even matters to him? | 你觉得这对他来说重要吗 |
[40:56] | To Maybrook? | 对梅布鲁克 |
[40:58] | Obviously, I’m going to donate it. | 显然 我准备把这笔钱捐出去 |
[41:01] | I don’t know to whom just yet. | 只是还不知道捐给谁 |
[41:02] | Some worthy cause. | 得捐得有价值 |
[41:11] | I know it’s supposed to make me feel better. | 我知道这本应该让我好受些 |
[41:14] | I know it’s his punishment, but I swear to you, | 我知道这是对他的惩罚 但我向你发誓 |
[41:15] | the whole time that we were sitting there in court, | 我们坐在法庭上那么长时间 |
[41:19] | money never crossed my mind. | 我从没想到钱 |
[41:21] | I think I somehow convinced myself that | 大概不知怎的我确信 |
[41:24] | they’d do something to him. | 他们一定会对他做点什么 |
[41:26] | Not just take some of his money. | 而不只是拿走他的一些钱 |
[41:29] | I’m pretty sure Ryan’s in heaven rolling his eyes. | 莱恩一定在天堂翻着白眼呢 |
[41:32] | Okay, if you are done feeling sorry for yourself | 好吧 如果你不想再自怨自艾了 |
[41:35] | because all you got was $35 million you never wanted, | 因为你只拿到了你不想要的三千五百万 |
[41:37] | I think I have some good news for you. | 我有一些好消息要告诉你 |
[41:39] | What? What is it? | 什么消息 |
[41:41] | Peter Maybrook was just arrested. | 皮特·梅布鲁克刚被逮捕了 |
[41:48] | But how? How is that possible? | 怎么逮捕的 怎么可能 |
[41:50] | The statute of limitations on criminal charges… | 刑事诉讼时效… |
[41:52] | I didn’t want you to get your hopes up, | 我不想让你抱太大希望 |
[41:54] | but Bull had a strong hunch that if Maybrook had | 但是布尔有强烈的直觉 如果梅布鲁克 |
[41:56] | taken pictures of himself with underage boys in the past, | 过去曾和未成年男孩拍过照片 |
[41:58] | he probably took pictures of himself | 那他现在很可能 |
[41:59] | with underage boys in the present. | 还会做同样的事 |
[42:01] | So Danny worked with an old NYPD colleague | 所以丹尼和纽约警察局的一个老同事合作 |
[42:04] | to drum up probable cause, | 争取拿到搜查令 |
[42:06] | and they raided his office this morning. | 今天早上搜了他的办公室 |
[42:08] | Bull was right. | 布尔说对了 |
[42:09] | Maybrook is going away for life. | 梅布鲁克准备逃跑 |
[42:14] | You think maybe Ryan’s done with his eye-rolling? | 你觉得莱恩不会再翻白眼了吧 |
[42:20] | Yeah, I think so. | 我想是的 |
[42:23] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |