时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[02:00] | Mr. McAllister has written. He’s coming to my tea today. | 麦卡里斯特先生来信说 要来参加今日茶宴 |
[02:03] | McAllister is playing a complicated game. | 麦卡里斯特在玩两面手法 |
[02:05] | I’d like to be there when Mrs. Astor finds out. | 想看他被阿斯特夫人发现 |
[02:07] | It’s about to get more complicated than he knows. | 接下来会比他想的复杂 |
[02:09] | – Why do you say that? – You’ll find out. | -怎么说 -你以后就知道了 |
[02:12] | By the way, he’s bringing Mrs. Winterton with him. | 对了 他会带温特顿夫人过来 |
[02:14] | – You mean Turner? – Yes. | -你是指透纳 -对 |
[02:16] | Into our home? You’ll allow that? | 你允许她踏进这个家门 |
[02:18] | McAllister thinks some people will take a box at the Met | 麦卡里斯特认为有些人 |
[02:20] | even if they already have one at the Academy. | 愿意在学院和大都会各取包厢 |
[02:23] | Wouldn’t they be punished? | 这样不会遭惩罚 |
[02:24] | Isn’t lending status to the new house a serious crime? | 降贵纡尊新歌剧院不是大逆不道 |
[02:27] | The point is, we need the old crowd | 重点是我们需要老贵族 |
[02:29] | and Joshua Winterton is a charter member. | 约书亚温特顿是创始成员 |
[02:31] | If they take a box, any number may follow. | 他取了包厢 其他人或许会跟进 |
[02:33] | And you don’t object, to courting your former servant? | 你不介意去讨好从前的下人 |
[02:36] | I can’t afford to object, even if it sticks in my craw. | 没办法 就算再难受也得吞忍 |
[02:39] | But can she be trusted? | 不怕她把事情抖出来 |
[02:41] | She won’t want anyone to know she was once a lady’s maid. | 她不想曝光自己以前是侍女 |
[02:44] | I have the upper hand where that’s concerned. | 在这方面是我占上风 |
[02:46] | The flowers are ready for your inspection, madam. | 花饰好了 请夫人过目 |
[02:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[02:53] | Church, I should explain that one of my guests today | 邱区‥我先说明 今天有位宾客会让你吃惊 |
[02:56] | may surprise you, but please don’t show it. | 请克制好表情 |
[02:59] | Of course, ma’am. | 是 夫人 |
[03:06] | What are they up to today? | 对面今天又怎么了 |
[03:08] | I’m not sure, | 我也不知道 |
[03:09] | but there is quite a bustle of arrivals. | 可说是纷至沓来呢 |
[03:12] | – You mean of people? | 你是指人吗 |
[03:13] | – Yes, people. | 当然是人 |
[03:14] | Well, with the Russells, one cannot be certain. | 罗素家的话 那很难说 |
[03:17] | I wouldn’t be surprised | 就算请 |
[03:18] | if they hired Barnum and Bailey’s Circus | 巴拿姆贝理马戏团来表演 |
[03:21] | to perform in the hall. | 也不足为奇 |
[03:22] | It looks like it’s mostly women, so probably not the circus. | 来者大多是女士 应该不是马戏团 |
[03:26] | I’d like to see the guest list before I reach any conclusions. | 看过宾客名单才能确定 |
[03:30] | Oh, Agnes. Don’t you miss parties? | 我说爱格啊 你不怀念宴会吗 |
[03:35] | Are you planning something? | 你在盘算些什么 |
[03:37] | I’d like to invite the new rector for luncheon. | 我想邀新任牧师来午餐 |
[03:39] | We have to listen to him drone on all Sunday morning. | 每周日上午都听他冗长无趣的布道 |
[03:42] | Can the Lord really want more from us than that? | 主会嫌我们听得还不够 |
[03:46] | Although… | -话虽如此‥ |
[03:48] | – What? – Your newfound piety | -怎么了 你新冒出来的 |
[03:50] | may be put to good use after all. | 虔心或能派上用场 |
[03:53] | My faith is not new. | 我信教已经很久了 |
[03:55] | Yes. But Dashiell Montgomery has written to me. | 对啦‥达许蒙哥马利写信给我 |
[03:59] | – And? – I’m glad to say | -说什么 -我很高兴 |
[04:01] | he’s taken a real interest in Marian | 他有心追求玛丽安 |
[04:03] | and he wants me to promote his cause. | 希望我能帮他一把 |
[04:06] | Have you spoken to Marian about it? | -你跟玛丽安说了吗 |
[04:07] | No. | -还没 |
[04:09] | He may be a bit older, but he’s a good match | 他虽年纪稍长 却不失为好对象 |
[04:11] | and she ought to be grateful, but she’s stubborn. | 她该知足了 就坏在她太倔强 |
[04:14] | She may dig in her heels. | 很可能一意孤行 |
[04:16] | We must manage her carefully. | 得小心管束她 |
[04:18] | I don’t want to manage her at all. | 我才不想管束她呢 |
[04:20] | We’ll invite him to luncheon with your reverend. | -那就邀他和你的牧师一起来午餐 |
[04:22] | He’s not mine. | -他不是我的牧师 |
[04:23] | Let’s hope he finishes the sermon before it’s time for the cheese. | 希望他在上起司前能结束布道 |
[04:38] | Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Howard! | 汤玛斯霍华伉俪到 |
[04:44] | Mrs. Joshua Winterton! | 约书亚温特顿夫人到 |
[04:49] | Are you all right? | 你没事吧 |
[04:50] | I’m not sure, sir. I thought I saw… | 回老爷 我好像看到‥ |
[04:53] | You did. | 你没看错 |
[04:54] | So, that was Miss Turner? | 那真是透纳小姐 |
[04:55] | I’ll manage here. Go back downstairs to the kitchens. | 我来就好 你回楼下厨房去 |
[05:12] | – What’s the hurry? – She’s here! | -干嘛匆匆忙忙的 -那个人在这里 |
[05:14] | She’s here! I just saw her upstairs! | 我刚才在楼上看到她了 |
[05:17] | Who is? | 看到谁了 |
[05:18] | Adelheid, you’re shaking. Calm down. | 雅德海 你在发抖 冷静 |
[05:20] | No! I must tell you! | 我一定得告诉你们 |
[05:22] | Miss Turner, the mistress’s lady’s maid, is here! | 夫人以前的贴身侍女透纳 |
[05:25] | – Upstairs! – Why? | 她人就在楼上 她来干嘛 |
[05:26] | Does she want her job back? | 要回来工作吗 |
[05:28] | No, she’s here for Mrs. Russell’s opera tea! | 不是 她来参加夫人的歌剧茶宴 |
[05:31] | – As a guest! – What? | -她也是宾客 -什么 |
[05:33] | She came in and handed me her coat | 她一进门就把外套交给我 |
[05:35] | and Mr. Church announced her as Mrs. Winterton. | 邱区先生唱名她为温特顿夫人 |
[05:38] | – I don’t understand. – Neither do I. | -我不懂 -我也不懂 |
[05:40] | Wake up. This is America. You can be anything you want. | 醒醒吧 这里是美国 |
[05:41] | I should know. | 想成为谁都行 我最清楚 |
[05:43] | I see you’ve all heard the news. | -看来大家都知道了 -是真的吗 |
[05:45] | – Is it really true? – That Miss Turner is here? Yes. | 透纳小姐是在这里没错 |
[05:47] | Mrs. Russell warned me, but not of the specifics. | 夫人知会过我 但没说详情 |
[05:50] | I’m as shocked as anyone, but we’ve all got a job to do. | 我也同样惊讶 但大家别忘了本分 |
[05:53] | Joshua Winterton is a very rich man. | 约书亚温特顿非常有钱 |
[05:56] | He has a fortune in property. | 房产很可观 |
[05:57] | – How do you know? – I read the papers. | -你怎么知道 -报上说的 |
[05:59] | It’s not for servants to discuss the guests of their employer. | 家仆不该议论雇主的宾客 |
[06:03] | But Miss Turner is hardly just another guest. | 透纳小姐不是普通宾客 |
[06:05] | Her name is now Mrs. Winterton and she is a friend of the mistress. | 她现在是温特顿夫人 是罗素夫人的朋友 |
[06:10] | – But, she’s… – Listen to Mr. Church. | -可是她‥ -听邱区先生的话 |
[06:12] | And there are some linens that need to be put away | 先去收拾餐桌布 |
[06:14] | unless you’re still wanted upstairs. | 除非楼上需要你帮忙 |
[06:16] | It might be best if she stayed down here. | 她还是待在楼下比较好 |
[06:19] | Yes. | 也对 |
[06:22] | – I’ll talk to her now. – Thank you, Mrs. Fish. | 我再跟她说 谢谢费许夫人 |
[06:24] | Oh, Mrs. Russell. | 罗素夫人 |
[06:26] | Excuse me. Mrs. Fish calls. | 失陪一下 费许夫人找我 |
[06:28] | Well, then, you better answer. | 那你快去吧 |
[06:30] | Mr. Russell, how kind of you to open your house. | 罗素先生 感谢提供贵府为场地 |
[06:33] | It’s for a good cause. | 为了正当理由 |
[06:35] | A cause that is disrupting New York society. | 会打乱纽约社交圈秩序的理由 |
[06:38] | I don’t know if that’s good or not. | 我不确定是否正当 |
[06:40] | Any cause of my wife’s is good. | 凡我夫人要的即为正当 |
[06:45] | I’d like to thank you all for coming. | 感谢各位大驾光临 |
[06:47] | For some of you, I know this took courage | 有些人来需要勇气 |
[06:49] | but for all of us, our passion for the arts | 但在场各位对艺术的热情 |
[06:51] | has been curtailed by the narrow limits of the Academy of Music. | 受到音乐学院所限缩 |
[06:54] | Until now. We need the Metropolitan. | 如今不同了 我们需要大都会歌剧院 |
[06:57] | Not only for ourselves | 不仅是为了我们 |
[06:58] | but so a great city like New York can have the opera house it deserves. | 更因伟大的纽约市 需要足以匹配的歌剧院 |
[07:02] | Oh, and I thought you would be interested to hear | 对了 在此宣布一项消息 |
[07:05] | we have decided to open our season on the 22nd of October. | 大都会将于10月22日开幕 |
[07:09] | But that’s the same date as the Academy of Music! | 那会跟音乐学院撞期 |
[07:12] | I believe it is. | 正是 |
[07:14] | So, the two opera houses are to go head-to-head? | 所以两家歌剧院要正面对决 |
[07:16] | That’s it. Head-to-head, and one will be the winner. | 就是正面对决 有一个是赢家 |
[07:19] | Now, I have invited Mr. Gilbert to join us today. | 我今天请了吉柏先生到场 |
[07:21] | He can answer any questions about the task facing us. | 由他来答复会碰上的要务 |
[07:24] | I echo Mrs. Russell’s welcome | 我与夫人同样欢迎各位 |
[07:26] | and I thought you might like to know that she’s accepted a place | 向各位报告 她已答应 |
[07:29] | on the board of the Metropolitan Opera. | 担任大都会歌剧院董事 |
[07:34] | And now, for those of you who have questions… | 凡对演出剧码 |
[07:36] | what is our program, how can you secure a box | 和索取包厢有疑问者 |
[07:40] | come and find me. | 我很乐意向各位解答 |
[07:45] | Ah, Mrs. Winterton. | 温特顿夫人 |
[07:53] | Of course. Yes, I do agree with you. | 我当然完全同意 |
[07:56] | I’m sorry I’m late. I stayed to help rearrange a classroom. | 抱歉我来晚了 布置教室耽搁了 |
[07:59] | So, you’re moving furniture now? | 你现在连家俱都得搬了 |
[08:02] | Has your meeting started yet? | 会议开始了吗 |
[08:04] | As you can see, we’re waiting for Mrs. Astor and Mr. McAllister. | 如你所见 还在等阿斯特夫人 和麦卡里斯特先生 |
[08:08] | I’ve asked Miss Scott to take notes. | 我请史考特小姐记录会议 |
[08:10] | I’m glad you’re here. | 你来得正好 |
[08:12] | I want to ask you to the opening of a new play by Oscar Wilde. | 想问你要不要去看 奥斯卡王尔德的新戏 |
[08:15] | And there’s a reception afterwards. It’s next Tuesday. | 结束后有场招待会 时间是下周二 |
[08:18] | Will your employer allow you time for such frivolities? | 雇主允许你参加这种无聊场合吗 |
[08:22] | Yes, and I’d love to. Thank you. | 我很乐意去 谢谢你 |
[08:23] | Maud Beaton will be there. She wants to know you better. | 茉德彼顿也会去 她想多认识你 |
[08:26] | Maud Beaton from Newport? Why? | 在纽波特的那位 -为何想认识我 |
[08:29] | Well, it might have something to do with Oscar. | 可能跟奥斯卡有关 |
[08:32] | You mean my Oscar, not the playwright? | 是我家奥斯卡 不是剧作家吧 |
[08:34] | Yes, yours. | 是你家奥斯卡 |
[08:35] | Maud Beaton? What do we know about her? | 茉德彼顿是什么来历 |
[08:38] | Her mother was a Stuyvesant. | 母亲出身史岱文森家族 |
[08:40] | You should ask Mrs. Fish’s husband. His grandmother was a Stuyvesant. | 可以去问费许夫人的先生 他祖母也出身史岱文森 |
[08:43] | Is there any money? | 有钱吗 |
[08:44] | Really, Agnes. | 爱格 你真是的 |
[08:46] | Isn’t it a little soon for that? | 现在说这会不会太早 |
[08:48] | Oh, we’re all family here | 在场都是自家人 |
[08:49] | and I think we know Oscar’s priorities. | 我知道奥斯卡看重什么 |
[08:51] | I believe there’s a great deal. | 对方非常有钱 |
[08:53] | Well then, she meets the requirements. | 那她符合标准了 |
[08:55] | I should leave it to Oscar to decide. | 还是让奥斯卡自己决定吧 |
[08:57] | Have you ever known me to do that? | 我何时让他自己决定过了 |
[09:00] | Mrs. Astor. | 阿斯特夫人到 |
[09:04] | Lina, how nice to see you. | 丽娜 欢迎欢迎 |
[09:07] | Well, if you don’t mind my saying so… | 好吧 如果你不介意我这么说的话… |
[09:08] | – Mr. McAllister. – Mr. Russell. | -麦卡里斯特先生 -罗素先生 |
[09:10] | – Well done. – Thank you. | -恭喜你 -谢谢 |
[09:13] | I can’t stay. I’m meeting Mrs. Astor. | 我得离开了 要去见阿斯特夫人 |
[09:15] | Thank you for bringing Mrs. Winterton. | 谢谢你带温特顿夫人过来 |
[09:17] | Are you sure it’s wise to open on the same night as the Academy? | 你确定跟学院开幕撞期明智吗 |
[09:23] | Aren’t you asking for trouble? | 岂不自找麻烦 |
[09:25] | I’m asking for something. | 我确实是有所求 |
[09:27] | I was hoping to go to both. | 我原打算两边都去 |
[09:28] | And now you’ll have to choose. | 那么你现在得选边了 |
[09:33] | I should leave. Goodbye, my dear. | 我先走了 再会 亲爱的 |
[09:41] | Do you have a carriage waiting, sir? | -先生备车了吗 |
[09:42] | No, it’s so lovely. I think I’ll just walk. | -没有 天气很好 我打算走两步 |
[09:51] | Careful there, carriage coming, madam. | 小心点 马车来了 女士。 |
[09:57] | Careful, sir! | 先生请小心 |
[10:03] | I confess that Mrs. Russell | 我得说罗素夫人 |
[10:05] | is even more of a fighter than I had realized. | 比预料的难对付 |
[10:08] | You mean, you thought she would not fight against you. | 你原以为她不敢跟你作对 |
[10:10] | No, not so bitterly, at any rate. | 没料到她下手这么重 |
[10:12] | After all, didn’t I make her what she is today? | 毕竟她是靠我才有今天啊 |
[10:15] | Gratitude is not a natural instinct in that class. | 那种阶级的人总是忘恩负义 |
[10:18] | – Agnes. – Mr. Ward McAllister. | -爱格‥ -麦卡里斯特先生到 |
[10:23] | How kind you were to let me summon you. | 谢谢你愿意来赴约 |
[10:25] | Did you have to come far, Mr. McAllister? | 刚从很远的地方赶来吗 |
[10:28] | Not very. No.Good. | -还好 不算很远 -那就好 |
[10:31] | I want to talk about Mrs. Russell and how to handle her. | 我想跟各位商讨如何对付罗素夫人 |
[10:35] | And you, well, you know her better than any of us. | 你比我们都更清楚她的为人 |
[10:38] | Well, I’ve just heard some news that may be of interest. | 我听说一个你们会想知道的消息 |
[10:41] | Don’t keep us in suspense. | 快别吊我们胃口了 |
[10:43] | I’m told she has persuaded Henry Abbey and the others at the Metropolitan | 据说她说服亨利艾比及其他人 |
[10:47] | to open on the same night as the Academy of Music. | 把大都会开幕季定在与学院同一晚 |
[10:52] | – What? – Are you serious? – Oh, my. | -天啊 -竟然有这种事 |
[10:54] | How dare they try to steal the Academy’s thunder! | 胆敢抢走学院的锋头 |
[10:56] | Our date is sacred! | 我们的开幕日是神圣的 |
[10:58] | I suppose, in a way | 其实这样一来 |
[10:59] | – this makes it a cleaner fight. – How? | 对决反而磊落 -怎么说 |
[11:01] | Well, everyone will have to choose which side they’re on. | -每个人都必须选边站 |
[11:03] | Why was that necessary? | 真有此必要吗 |
[11:05] | Thank heavens we are all united in this house. | 幸好我们全家都站同一边 |
[11:08] | There must be room for two opera houses in a city like New York. | 纽约这么大 能容纳两家歌剧院啊 |
[11:11] | Nonsense. Now what can we do? | 少胡说了 您要我们怎么做 尽管吩咐 |
[11:13] | Give us orders. In your letter, you said you had a task for me. | -信里说要派任务给我 |
[11:16] | Yes. | 没错 |
[11:17] | Agnes, I would like you to write to the older members. | 爱格 请你写信给老会员 |
[11:20] | Say that you’ve heard a rumor that if any of them are thinking of taking a box at the Metropolitan | 就说 据传若取了大都会包厢 |
[11:25] | their box at the Academy will be removed.- Goodness. | -原有的学院包厢就会取消 -天啊 |
[11:27] | – Seriously? I can’t do it, as that would make the threat official, but you can. | 这话不能由我说 会成了正式威胁 但你可以说 |
[11:32] | Have you got all that, Miss Scott? | -记下来了吗 史考特小姐 |
[11:34] | – Every word. – We’ll begin the letters at once. | -一字不漏 -我们立刻开始写信 可以吧 |
[11:36] | – Won’t we, Miss Scott? – Of course. | 没问题 |
[11:38] | Thank you. I think I’ll take my leave | -谢谢你 -我先告辞了 |
[11:41] | before you start handing out weapons. | 免得接下来开始发武器 |
[11:43] | If only it were that simple. | 真有那么简单就好了 |
[11:47] | Well, Mrs. Astor’s really looking for a fight.I heard her. | 听说阿斯特夫人要正式开战 |
[11:51] | I wouldn’t say Mrs. Russell has a chance. | 这下子罗素夫人输定了 |
[11:54] | I knew Mrs. van Rhijn was right. | 我就知道凡瑞恩夫人是对的 |
[11:55] | Things must be heating up | 想必战况已升温 |
[11:56] | if Mrs. Astor’s paying calls to get people on her side. | 阿斯特夫人才亲自登门招兵买马 |
[11:59] | Miss Marian supports the Met. | 玛丽安小姐支持大都会 |
[12:00] | – So do I. – And where will that get you? | -我也是 -跟你有什么关系 |
[12:03] | It’s what I think, that’s all. | 说说我的想法罢了 |
[12:04] | You only think that because Miss Adelheid Weber does. | 你的想法肯定跟韦伯小姐一致吧 |
[12:07] | The mistress has got Miss Scott writing to all the Academy members | 夫人吩咐史考特小姐 写信给学院全体成员 |
[12:11] | to make sure they hold firm. | 呼吁大家坚定立场 |
[12:13] | What? She can’t write letters to that sort of people. | 她没资格写信给那种身份的人 |
[12:16] | Why not? When a fight is big enough, everyone gets sucked in. | 为何不行 战事一旦扩大 全民皆兵 |
[12:21] | So, Henderson is traveling today? | -韩德森是今天出发吗 -没错 |
[12:24] | He is, and we have reserved a suite at the Brunswick. | 已帮他在布朗兹维订好套房 |
[12:26] | – And a carriage for tomorrow? – Yes. | -明天的马车也安排好了 -好了 |
[12:29] | I hope it doesn’t make him think he has power over us. | 希望他不会误以为我们屈服了 |
[12:32] | He’s not the first man I’ve dealt with | 像他这种自视甚高的人 |
[12:33] | who has exaggerated ideas of his own importance. | 我见多了 |
[12:36] | I humor him to get him to reveal his price. | 这般礼遇是让他开出价码 |
[12:38] | Suppose he hasn’t got one? | 要是他无法收买呢 |
[12:40] | Oh, he has. | 一定可以的 |
[12:42] | He may tease us a little so we raise our offer | 他可能会故作姿态 |
[12:45] | but every man living has a price. | 以抬高价码 |
[12:51] | – All right. – The first tier | 只要是人都可用钱收买 |
[12:52] | has all been claimed | 头等包厢已满 |
[12:53] | however, there are a few boxes still available in the second tier… | 但是二等包厢‥ |
[12:55] | Where’s Mr. Russell? | 怎没看见罗素先生 |
[12:57] | At his office. He slipped away. | 他逃回办公室去了 |
[12:58] | Is he enjoying the opera war? | 他还喜欢观战吗 |
[13:00] | Well, he’d like to know if you were going to take a box. So would I. | 他想知道你是否索取包厢 我也是 |
[13:03] | You need more of the old crowd in your audience. | 你先多争取一些旧派成员 |
[13:06] | Recruit a few of them and I’ll see. | 能成功的话我会考虑 |
[13:08] | Now, where do the Wintertons stand? | 温特顿夫妇站哪一边 |
[13:11] | She may be new, but her husband’s money is not | 她虽初入豪门 丈夫可是老贵族 |
[13:14] | and her social standing is gathering pace. | 况且她的社交地位日益巩固 |
[13:17] | They spent their wedding journey in England, courting the aristocracy. | 他俩在英国度蜜月时 结交不少王公贵族 |
[13:21] | Thank you for having me today. | 谢谢你邀请我来 |
[13:23] | I wish we could sign you up. | 我想争取你们入会 |
[13:24] | I’m afraid we’re very happy at the Academy. | 可惜我们对学院相当满意 |
[13:27] | At one time, I knew a woman | 我曾经认识一个 |
[13:28] | who was really desperate to get on their list | 极度想加入学院的人 |
[13:31] | so I feel it would be most ungrateful for me not to enjoy it. | 我若不好好享受 就太对不起那位了 |
[13:34] | Did your friend ever get their box at last? | 那位朋友后来拿到包厢了吗 |
[13:36] | No. But like so many others who failed | 没有 跟许多被拒的人一样 |
[13:39] | she now supports the Met. | 她选择支持大都会 |
[13:41] | Oh, I was just telling Mrs. Russell | 我刚跟罗素夫人提到 |
[13:43] | of all your friends you’ve made in Europe. | 你们在欧洲交的朋友 |
[13:45] | Not least, the Duke of Buckingham. | 包括白金汉公爵 |
[13:47] | Mr. Winterton has many friends in England | 温特顿先生在欧洲交游广阔 |
[13:49] | the Duke of Buckingham among them. | 白金汉公爵是其一 |
[13:51] | He entertained us while we were there.- At his place in Devon. | 他在位于德文的居所招待我们 |
[13:54] | – How interesting. -And now he’s coming to America. | -真有意思 -他要来美国了 |
[13:57] | Yes. We are to receive him in Newport. Oh, would you excuse me? | 我们打算在纽波特接待他 |
[14:00] | I want a word with Mrs. Wilson before she leaves. | 失陪一下 我去跟威尔森夫人说个话 |
[14:03] | But when I get back, can I please see your ballroom? | 等我回来想参观你的宴会厅 |
[14:06] | Of course. | 没问题 |
[14:07] | Mrs. Fish! | 费许夫人 |
[14:09] | Oh, Alice, I’ll join you in the hall. | 我去大厅找你们 |
[14:12] | I heard you were able to fill that ballroom, after all. | 听说那天宴会厅高朋满座 |
[14:15] | It was a special night. | 当晚确实非比寻常 |
[14:17] | As you’d have seen if you’d stayed. | 你若还在就看到了 |
[14:19] | Though you would have been there in a different capacity, of course. | 只是身份不一样就是了 |
[14:24] | Well, I hope you’ll think of joining our ranks. | 希望你加入我们的行列 |
[14:28] | Would you, if you were in my place? | 换成是我 你会愿意吗 |
[14:30] | I understood the earlier reference. | 我知道你指那件往事 |
[14:32] | But you could have a box in both houses. | 你们可以在两边各取包厢 |
[14:34] | Why? | 何必呢 |
[14:35] | When it will take the Met years, even to begin to compete? | 大都会要好几年才比得上学院 |
[14:39] | It’s a second-rate project | 那不过是二流建案 |
[14:41] | and it will be second-rate for both our lifetimes. | 终我俩一生都会是二流 |
[14:44] | Or are you threatening me with exposure? | 还是你打算揭露我的身份 |
[14:47] | – I have no wish to make trouble. – Good. | -我没打算惹麻烦 -那就好 |
[14:50] | Because if you make trouble for me, I will respond in kind. | 万一让我难堪 我只好回敬了 |
[14:52] | – I don’t understand. – If I were you I would discuss it with George | -什么意思 -奉劝你先跟乔治讨论 |
[14:55] | before you decide to stir things up. | 再决定是否闹大 |
[14:57] | George? You mean, Mr. Russell? | 乔治 该称他罗素先生吧 |
[15:00] | So, he never told you about us? | 他没跟你说我俩的事 |
[15:03] | Funny, I thought that was why I was sacked. | 还以为是因此解僱我 |
[15:04] | – Because you were jealous. – Jealous of what? | -因为你嫉妒我 -嫉妒你什么 |
[15:07] | You should ask your husband. | 去问你自己的丈夫 |
[15:15] | Oh, Mrs. Russell, | 罗素夫人 |
[15:17] | I’m ready for my tour. | 我准备好参观你家了 |
[15:19] | I still can’t believe it. I had to see her for myself. | 我还是无法相信 得亲眼看才行 |
[15:22] | So, Miss Turner is now a great lady in New York. | 透纳小姐如今成了纽约上流贵妇 |
[15:26] | It makes you think. If she can do it, anyone can. | 让人不禁想 她都做到了 大家一定也行 |
[15:29] | I wonder how she managed it. | 真不晓得她怎么办到的 |
[15:31] | How do you think? | 还能怎么做 |
[15:33] | She saw what she wanted and she went for it. | 看到目标就勇于争取 |
[15:35] | Peter? How do you know that? | 彼得 你怎么知道 |
[15:37] | She told me. | 她告诉我的 |
[15:38] | Have you kept up with her? Since she left here? | 她离开后你们还有联系 |
[15:41] | From time to time. | 断断续续 |
[15:43] | So, Mr. Winterton was a marked man. | 她锁定温特顿为目标 |
[15:45] | Why do you think she chose him? | 为什么选中他 |
[15:48] | I can answer that. | 这我知道 |
[15:49] | He’s been in the newspaper a lot lately | 他最近经常上报 |
[15:51] | as one of the greatest donors to the new Museum of Art. | 捐大笔钱给艺术博物馆 |
[15:54] | He gave millions. | 高达数百万 |
[15:56] | That’s what she was looking for. | 想必她就是看上这点 |
[15:57] | I wonder how she pulled it off. | 不晓得她怎么办到的 |
[15:59] | She wrote, praising his taste and his philanthropy | 写信给对方 称讚男士的品味与善心 |
[16:04] | his culture and his wisdom | 具有文化素养与智慧 |
[16:05] | and she hoped that one day they might meet. | 希望有朝一日能见面 |
[16:07] | And that’s all it took? One letter? | 写一封信就办到了 |
[16:09] | That’s not quite all it took. | 当然不只是这样 |
[16:16] | Oh, Miss Scott, I may be away for a while | 史考特小姐 我要出一趟远门 |
[16:19] | so I’ve written down some ideas for you to work on while I’m gone. | 我写下一些题材 给你趁我不在时完成 |
[16:22] | Where are you off to? | 你要去哪里 |
[16:24] | Booker T. Washington is opening a dormitory at the Tuskegee State Normal School | 布克华盛顿的塔斯基吉州立师范学校 宿舍楼落成启用 |
[16:27] | and he’s invited me to cover the event. | 要我去采访 |
[16:29] | You know everyone. | 你人面真广 |
[16:30] | Well, I met Mr. Washington when he was here last year, raising money. | 他去年来此募款时认识的 |
[16:33] | – Tell me about him. | 跟我说说此人 |
[16:35] | – He’s intelligent, driven | 他很聪明 也很勤奋 |
[16:36] | and quite adept at getting large donations. | 对募款很有一套 |
[16:38] | Alfred Haynes Porter funded this dormitory. | 刚说的宿舍楼 是艾夫海恩波特资助的 |
[16:41] | So, our angle will be how white Brooklyn money | 主轴是布鲁克林白人金主 |
[16:43] | is building a colored institution at Tuskegee. | 资助塔斯基吉黑人学院 |
[16:45] | No one would ever know that. | 不说还真没人知道 |
[16:46] | Which is why we’re doing the story. | 所以才要报导啊 |
[16:49] | Well, good for Mr. Washington. | 华盛顿先生真了不起 |
[16:52] | Oh, I suppose now they can take students from anywhere | 宿舍楼落成后 |
[16:55] | with the new dormitory. | 就可招收各地的学生了 |
[16:56] | Well, that’s the idea | 这是他们的目标 |
[16:57] | but I don’t know why a colored student from New York | 但纽约的黑人学生谁会愿意 |
[17:00] | would go all the way to Alabama just to learn how to be a farm laborer. | 大老远跑去阿拉巴马习农 |
[17:04] | Well, I read that Mr. Washington also trains the students in teaching. | 该学院不也培育教师吗 |
[17:08] | I know they promise to be teachers for two years when they finish | 毕业后保证教职两年 |
[17:11] | but after that’s done, it seems they only get offered | 之后也只能从事 |
[17:13] | the kind of jobs white people want to give them. | 白人愿提供的工作 |
[17:15] | Perhaps Mr. Washington sees what he’s doing as the first step. | 或许华盛顿先生认为这只是起步 |
[17:18] | Well, that’s what I need to ask him. | 所以我才要访问他 |
[17:20] | I envy you. | 真羨慕你 |
[17:22] | I’d love to write a story like that. | 我也想写那样的报导 |
[17:24] | Where will you stay? | 你打算住哪里 |
[17:26] | With Mr. Washington and his wife. | 华盛顿夫妇的住所 |
[17:28] | He wants publicity for the school, so he’s excited for me to come there. | 他想提高学院知名度 张开双臂欢迎我 |
[17:31] | When were you last in the South? | 你上次去南方是何时 |
[17:33] | Not for many years, | 好几年没去了 |
[17:35] | and when I lived there, I was a slave. | 我在当地的身份是奴隶 |
[17:39] | – I see. – No, you don’t. | -我懂了 -你不懂 |
[17:42] | Because you can’t. | 你没办法懂 |
[17:44] | But somehow, I have to put that behind me. | 我也只能放下那些悲惨记忆 |
[17:48] | When Booker T. Washington calls, I must go. | 布克华盛顿找我 我就得去 |
[17:51] | Well, I hope you’ll consider his point of view. | 希望你能接纳他的观点 |
[17:54] | So, you like the idea of our highest ambition being to milk a cow? | 你也赞同应视挤牛奶为毕生志业 |
[17:58] | I’ll tell you what I do like. | 告诉你我赞同什么 |
[18:00] | When colored people open doors. | 看到黑人自立门户 |
[18:03] | When they help others to earn a living. | 能帮他人讨生活 |
[18:05] | I like independence and self-reliance. | 人人独立自主 自立自强 |
[18:07] | And even if it’s not perfect this Tuskegee school seems like a step in the right direction. | 塔斯基吉学院虽不完美 至少是朝正确方向前进 |
[18:14] | I’ll tell Mr. Washington you said so. | 我会代你转达华盛顿先生 |
[18:16] | I wish I could tell him myself. | 真希望我能当面告诉他 |
[18:20] | You know it would be highly unusual for us to travel together. | 你跟我一起出远门会惹人非议 |
[18:23] | Because I’m a woman? | 因为我是女人 |
[18:24] | We must live in the real world. | 总得考量现实环境 |
[18:25] | But I became a journalist to cover stories exactly like this. | 我当记者就是为了做这种报导 |
[18:33] | – I’ll think about it. – Is that a yes? | -我考虑一下 -答应了 |
[18:35] | Not quite. | 还不算是 |
[18:39] | All right. | 好吧 |
[18:44] | I should get back to work. | 我该去工作了 |
[18:46] | Why? | 为什么 |
[18:47] | Do you have a cruel mistress who never allows you time off? | 你恶毒的女雇主不让你休息吗 |
[18:50] | She’s an absolute tyrant, take it from me. | 她是女暴君 强取豪夺 |
[18:52] | Well, then kiss me again. | 那就再吻我一下 |
[18:54] | – I command it. – As you wish | -我命令你 -遵命 |
[18:57] | but this will only delay the completion of the work. | 再这样下去会延误工程 |
[18:59] | Good. | 太好了 |
[19:01] | Then you’ll be around longer. | 你就会留久一点 |
[19:03] | And when it is done, I’ll find something else. | 完工后我再派其他工作给你 |
[19:06] | You alone are a full-time job, Mrs. Blane. | 你就是我的全职工作 |
[19:09] | But one I’d gladly undertake. | 我很乐意为你效劳 |
[19:16] | How are your parents enjoying their first Newport summer? | 你父母还喜欢首次在纽波特避暑吗 |
[19:19] | Actually, they’re in New York. | 他们回纽约了 |
[19:20] | They left after Mr. McAllister’s party. | 麦卡里斯特先生派对结束后就走了 |
[19:22] | You didn’t tell me they were leaving. | 你没说他们要回去 |
[19:24] | She hadn’t planned to, but things changed | 母亲原无此打算 但计划生变 |
[19:26] | and she stayed on in the city to give a tea party for the new opera house. | 她在纽约办茶宴 商讨新歌剧院事宜 |
[19:29] | But they’ll be back? | 但会再回来 |
[19:31] | Mother will be. She means to spend most of the summer here. | 母亲会 她打算在这里避暑 |
[19:34] | Then we must learn to be careful. | 那我们得小心一点 |
[19:36] | I saw the way she was looking at me. | 我注意到她看我的眼神 |
[19:38] | I don’t care what she thinks. | 我不在乎她怎么想 |
[19:40] | I don’t care what anyone thinks.I do. | -也不在乎别人怎么想 -但我在乎 |
[19:42] | I mean to have a lot of fun this summer and to pay no price for it. | 我希望开心过夏天 但别有后患 |
[19:46] | My motto has always been to have my cake and eat it. | 我的人生格言就是 鱼与熊掌要兼得 |
[19:49] | What about the servants? | 不怕仆人说閒话 |
[19:51] | Well, Trent has them under control. | 川特会管他们 |
[19:53] | Then who keeps Trent under control? | 那谁来管川特呢 |
[19:55] | Don’t worry about that. | 这你不用担心 |
[19:56] | My butler and I have been together a long time. | 我的管家跟了我很久 |
[19:59] | I won’t worry at all, because I’m mad about you | 我一点都不担心 我疯狂迷恋着你 |
[20:03] | and I want to shout it from the housetops. | 巴不得弄得人尽皆知 |
[20:05] | Then you must learn to restrain yourself | 你最好克制自己 |
[20:08] | in the sure and certain knowledge that I will reward you. | 放心吧 我一定会好好赏赐你的 |
[20:17] | And now I should really go and check what the workers are up to. | 现在‥我实在该去监工了 |
[20:21] | Yes, you should. | 好 快去吧 |
[20:24] | I have to pack anyway for my own trip to New York. | 我也要收行李去纽约 |
[20:26] | You’re abandoning me as well? | -你也要抛弃我 -去去就回 |
[20:28] | Not for long. I have to settle some property of my late husband’s. | 就处理些先夫留下的房产 |
[20:32] | Well, perhaps I should travel with you. | 或许我俩同行 |
[20:33] | I’m due in New York next week. | 反正我下礼拜要回纽约 |
[20:35] | Would that be wise? | 这样好吗 |
[20:37] | Well, anyway, we should get together while we’re there. | 反正到纽约得聚聚就是了 |
[20:40] | You know I’m always ready to get together with you. | 我随时愿意和你相聚 |
[20:52] | Leave us. | 你先下去 |
[20:54] | Of course, madam. | 是 夫人 |
[21:04] | – Is something wrong? – You tell me. | -怎么了吗 -你说呢 |
[21:07] | I’m not in the mood for riddles. | 我没心情猜谜 |
[21:09] | I’ve had some bad news from Pittsburgh and… | 刚听到匹兹堡那边的坏消息 |
[21:10] | Well, I had some bad news, too. | 我也有坏消息要说 |
[21:13] | Well, what about? | 是什么 |
[21:15] | It’s to do with Turner. | 跟透纳有关 |
[21:17] | The new Mrs. Winterton. | 新任温特顿夫人 |
[21:19] | Did you persuade her to change sides? | 你说服她换边了吗 |
[21:21] | No. She has no intention | 没有 她根本没打算 |
[21:23] | of giving her support to the Metropolitan. | 支持大都会 |
[21:25] | She only came here to taunt me. | 她是专程来嘲笑我的 |
[21:28] | Taunt you? With what? | 嘲笑你什么 |
[21:30] | What happened between you and Turner? | 你跟透纳究竟发生了什么事 |
[21:32] | – What did she tell you? – Just answer the question. | 她跟你说了什么 回答我就对了 |
[21:37] | Nothing happened. | 没发生什么事 |
[21:40] | Except… | 只是‥ |
[21:41] | Except what? | 只是什么 |
[21:43] | She came into my room one night. | 某晚她溜进我房里 |
[21:45] | At first, I thought it was you | 起初我以为是你 |
[21:47] | but the lamp revealed that I was wrong. | 开灯后才发现不是 |
[21:49] | Was it just your room, or your bed? | 是你的房间 还是床上 |
[21:52] | My bed. | 在床上 |
[21:54] | Was she clothed? | 她穿着衣服吗 |
[21:56] | Answer me! | 快回答 |
[21:59] | No. | 没穿 |
[22:00] | But I would never betray you! | 我绝不会背叛你 |
[22:02] | – You already have. – Nothing happened. | 你已经背叛了 什么事都没发生 |
[22:04] | as soon as I knew it wasn’t you, I got out of bed. | 一发现不是你 我立刻下了床 |
[22:07] | Did she? | 那她呢 |
[22:08] | Not immediately, so I ordered her to leave. | 她还待着 所以我叫她离开 |
[22:11] | But you never told me! | 你为什么不告诉我 |
[22:12] | Because there was nothing to tell. | 因为没什么好说的 |
[22:14] | It seems to me there was a great deal to tell. | 我听起来倒像有很多可说 |
[22:16] | She didn’t matter to me in the least | 我一点也不在乎她 |
[22:18] | and there was no chance anything was going to happen. | 也绝不可能跟她发生什么事 |
[22:20] | But I knew you depended on her. | 我知道你很依赖她 |
[22:22] | It didn’t make sense to blow up the house | 没道理因她一时犯傻 |
[22:23] | because of her stupid mistake. | 把全家搞得翻天复地 |
[22:26] | So, you allowed me to be waited on | 所以你让一个女人服侍我 |
[22:29] | to have my hair arranged, my clothes chosen | 帮我梳妆打扮 放洗澡水 |
[22:32] | my bath run, by a woman who had been naked with my husband? | 而她还跟我丈夫裸身共处过 |
[22:35] | It’s disgusting! | 太恶心了 |
[22:36] | I’m sorry if it was a bad decision. | 抱歉 那是个不智的决定 |
[22:38] | Decision? I call that betrayal! | 什么决定 那叫背叛 |
[22:56] | Start at the beginning. | 一五一十告诉我吧 |
[22:59] | It’s easily told. | 简而言之 |
[23:00] | I came to New York as a banker with some success. | 我刚到纽约时 是小有成就的银行家 |
[23:03] | I got married and Flora was born. | 婚后生下芙萝拉 |
[23:05] | Then things started to go wrong. | 后来事业出了问题 |
[23:08] | My wife’s father wanted her to get rid of me | 岳父要妻子先抛弃我 |
[23:10] | before she inherited his fortunes. | 再继承遗产 |
[23:12] | He arranged that I should suffer the indignities of a divorce. | 他安排我们离婚 让我颜面尽失 |
[23:15] | And you let him? | 你没有反抗 |
[23:16] | They were stronger than I was. | 他们势力比我强大 |
[23:20] | Anyway, I gave my wife a large settlement | 总之 给了妻子大笔赡养费后 |
[23:22] | and retired to lick my wounds. | 我便引退 自己疗伤止痛 |
[23:24] | What happened next? | 后来呢 |
[23:25] | I proved her father’s instincts had been correct | 不幸被她父亲料中 |
[23:27] | when I lost everything soon after in the Panic of ’57. | 我在57年经济危机散尽家产 |
[23:31] | And you never contacted them again? | 后来再也没与他们联络 |
[23:33] | My former wife was not keen to maintain a connection. | 我前妻并无意保持联系 |
[23:36] | I can imagine. | 可想而知 |
[23:39] | I kept track of Flora’s school, of where they lived, and so on. | 我暗中打听芙萝拉的学校 住处等等 |
[23:46] | I saw the marriage announcement in the Times. | 我在时人杂志看到你们结婚的消息 |
[23:49] | Was there no possible return to banking? | 你不能再重返银行界 |
[23:50] | Or business, at any rate? | 或做生意吗 |
[23:52] | I’d been declared bankrupt, so, no. | 我曾宣告破产 所以没机会了 |
[23:56] | I was a failure and it was official. | 已留下纪录 证明自己是失败者 |
[24:00] | I had no money, no home. | 我身无分文 无家可归 |
[24:03] | For a time, I was almost on the streets. | 有段时间差点沦落街头 |
[24:07] | But the one job I understood was a valet’s. | 唯一接触过的工作是侍者 |
[24:09] | I’d had my own valet. | 我也有过侍者 |
[24:11] | I knew what the work consisted of | 我知道工作内容 |
[24:13] | so I found a place and learned the rest. | 找到雇主后再边做边学 |
[24:17] | Flora said she saw you in the street. | 芙萝拉说她在街上看到你 |
[24:20] | I kept an eye on her for years. | 几年来我暗中看着她 |
[24:23] | I shouldn’t have revealed myself. | 真不该说破的 |
[24:25] | She called me over, but I should have resisted. | 那天她招我过去 我该拒绝才是 |
[24:28] | I was not aware that you knew the Russells. | 我不知道你认识罗素先生 |
[24:30] | Why would you be? | 不知道也是正常的 |
[24:32] | I ought to have kept silent. | 我当初真该保持沉默 |
[24:34] | But you didn’t, Mr. Collyer. And there we have it. | 但你没有 科利尔先生 才会陷入今天局面 |
[24:38] | I am a banker. My wife is a hostess. | 我是银行家 夫人负责持家 |
[24:41] | And her father is a valet. | 她父亲却是侍者 |
[24:42] | It seems to me that we are in a pretty kettle of fish. | 情况看来似乎是一团糟 |
[25:06] | Can I remind you that Henderson, the man who works at my steel mill | 别忘了钢铁厂那个韩德森 |
[25:08] | is coming to luncheon? | 要过来吃午餐 |
[25:10] | Have you warned Church? Yes. | 你提醒邱区了吗 |
[25:12] | We’re rolling out the red carpet for him. | 说了 我们会大张旗鼓欢迎他 |
[25:15] | Isn’t he your enemy? | 他不是你的敌人吗 |
[25:16] | If he is, I’ll be ready for him | 是的话 我已做好准备 |
[25:19] | but I need your help with him, and you did promise me. | 我需要你协助 你也答应过我 |
[25:21] | That was before. | -那是之前的事 -宝莎‥ |
[25:23] | Bertha, my business doesn’t stop when we fall out. | 我的生意不会因我俩吵架而停摆 |
[25:27] | You’re being jejune. | 你这是在无理取闹 |
[25:29] | You know nothing happened. | 明知道什么也没发生 |
[25:32] | Am I really to be held responsible for Turner’s actions? | 我难道要为透纳的行为负责 |
[25:35] | You’re responsible for your own inaction. | 你要为自己的无为负责 |
[25:38] | What is it? | 什么事 |
[25:41] | Yes? | -怎么了 -稍后再说好了 |
[25:43] | – I can come back later. – No, say it now or never. | 现在就说 否则闭嘴 |
[25:48] | Larry and I have been invited to a play by Mr. Oscar Wilde. | 赖瑞和我受邀观赏王尔德先生的新戏 |
[25:51] | There’s to be a reception afterwards. | 戏后有一场招待会 |
[25:52] | Who has invited you? | 谁邀请你们的 |
[25:53] | Aurora Fane, | 奥萝拉芬恩 |
[25:55] | though I’ll be escorted by John Adams. | 约翰亚当斯当我的男伴 |
[25:57] | – May I go? | 我可以去吗 |
[25:58] | – If you wish. | 想去就去吧 |
[26:00] | So, I can go? Just like that? | -对 还有其他事吗 |
[26:02] | Yes. Is there anything else? | 所以我可以去 -就这样 |
[26:04] | I suppose not. | 没有了 |
[26:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[26:08] | I’ll be down in a few minutes. | 我一会就下楼 |
[26:10] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了吗 |
[26:11] | Your mother’s very tired. | 你母亲累了 |
[26:20] | If it interests you, I do know that I… | 若你想听的话 我知道我‥ |
[26:25] | made a mistake, a misjudgment, an error. | 我错了 因误判情况而犯错 |
[26:30] | But I do not know what else I can say on the subject. | 除此之外我已无话可说 |
[26:48] | Mr. Church, may I ask your advice? | 邱区先生 我有事想请益 |
[26:51] | Of course. | 没问题 |
[26:52] | It’s about Mr. McNeil. | 是关于麦克尼尔先生 |
[26:54] | – Your son-in-law? – Exactly. | -你的女婿 -没错 |
[27:03] | He has made me an offer. | 他开了条件给我 |
[27:05] | How was the luncheon? Was he rude? No. He was very polite. | 午餐会面时他很无礼吗 |
[27:09] | You surprise me. | 真没想到 |
[27:10] | If his tone was friendly, his offer is not. | 他说话很客气 提的条件则否 |
[27:13] | What did it consist of? | 什么样的条件 |
[27:15] | Well, to start with, a generous pension. | 他会给我一大笔退休金 |
[27:17] | I believe he’s a rich man. He’s certainly a successful one. | 他确实很有钱 事业也很成功 |
[27:21] | He wants me to move to the West Coast to San Francisco. | 他要我搬到西岸的旧金山去 |
[27:26] | San Francisco is a long way away. | 旧金山也太远了 |
[27:28] | I would consider it | 我会考虑 |
[27:29] | but I am also to swear I will make no effort to see my daughter | 但我必须保证这辈子 |
[27:33] | or her children for the rest of my life. | 绝不去找我女儿或孙子女 |
[27:37] | Goodness me. | 我的天啊 |
[27:38] | McNeil will inform me of their news. | 麦克尼尔会代为传达近况 |
[27:41] | I am not to answer his letters or seek to correspond with Flora. | 我不许回信或写信给芙萝拉 |
[27:44] | But you would be taken care of? | 但你从此不愁吃穿 |
[27:46] | An apartment will be purchased and bank account will be opened. | 他会帮我买栋公寓 开个银行帐户 |
[27:50] | I’ll have a manservant and a cook. | 帮我僱用男仆与厨师 |
[27:53] | So yes, I will be taken care of. | 没错 我从此不愁吃穿 |
[27:56] | I suppose that’s not unreasonable, | 听来挺合理的 |
[27:59] | given their position in New York. | 毕竟他们在纽约有头有脸 |
[28:01] | No. It’s not exactly unreasonable. | 没错 是挺合理的 |
[28:03] | It could even be called generous. | 甚至可说非常慷慨 |
[28:07] | But it is heartless, all the same. | 就算如此 还是很绝情啊 |
[28:23] | Mr. Henderson, I believe. | 韩德森先生 |
[28:24] | Come this way. | 快请进 |
[28:35] | Mr. Henderson. | 韩德森先生到了 |
[28:37] | – Hello, Mr. Russell. | 您好 罗素先生 |
[28:38] | – Mr. Henderson. | 韩德森先生好 |
[28:40] | – Thank you for coming. – Yeah. | 欢迎欢迎 |
[28:44] | My dear, may I present Mr. Henderson | 亲爱的夫人 这位是韩德森先生 |
[28:47] | who has traveled all the way from Pittsburgh to see me. | 远从匹兹堡来看我 |
[28:49] | – Happy to know you, ma’am. – I want to welcome you to the house. | -罗素夫人 幸会 -欢迎光临 |
[28:52] | It’s good of you to come. | 谢谢你不远前来 |
[28:53] | It’s good of Mr. Russell to ask me. | 感谢罗素先生邀请 |
[28:55] | I’ve never visited a house like this before | 我从没来过这样的大宅 |
[28:57] | and I don’t suppose I ever will again. | 以后应该也没机会了 |
[28:59] | Then I hope you enjoy yourself. | 那就请你当自己家吧 |
[29:01] | Was your hotel comfortable? | 饭店客房住得习惯吗 |
[29:02] | I had never been so comfortable before. | 前所未有的舒适 |
[29:05] | Our luncheon is ready, so let us go in and eat it. | 午餐好了 我们快就座吧 |
[29:13] | I might be going away for a few days. | 我可能会出远门几天 |
[29:15] | Where are you going? | 你要去哪里 |
[29:17] | Tuskegee, Alabama. | 阿拉巴马的塔斯基吉 |
[29:19] | Mr. Fortune and I are doing a story on a school down there. | 福顿先生和我要采访当地一间学校 |
[29:22] | I’ve already asked Mrs. van Rhijn’s permission. | 凡瑞恩夫人已经准假了 |
[29:24] | You said, might be? So, it’s not definite. | 你说可能会 所以还不确定 |
[29:26] | Mr. Fortune hasn’t officially decided | 福顿先生尚未正式首肯 |
[29:28] | but I’ve made a good case for myself. | 但我给的理由很充分 |
[29:30] | I don’t believe he’ll refuse. | 我想他不会拒绝 |
[29:32] | Who else is going? | 同行的还有谁 |
[29:34] | Well, he didn’t mention anyone. | 他没有提到其他人 |
[29:35] | Well, you can’t go all the way to Alabama alone, with a man. | 你不能跟一个男人单独到阿州去 |
[29:38] | I’ve told you. It is a professional trip. | 我说过了 这趟是公务旅行 |
[29:41] | And Mr. Fortune is my employer. | 福顿先生是我的雇主 |
[29:43] | He’s also a man and a married one. | 他也是男人 而且还结了婚 |
[29:47] | Be careful. That’s all. | 我只是提醒你要小心 |
[29:51] | Have you always lived in Pittsburgh? | 你一直都住在匹兹堡 |
[29:53] | No, I was born in New Jersey, but I moved there for the work. | 我是纽泽西人 为工作搬到匹兹堡 |
[29:55] | But my wife’s from Pittsburgh. | 内人是匹兹堡人 |
[29:57] | How long have you been married? | 你们结婚多久了 |
[29:59] | Twenty-three years. | 23年 |
[30:00] | We have six children to show for it. | 我们有六个孩子 |
[30:02] | Six! Heavens! We have all we can handle with two! | 天啊 六个 我们才两个就够忙了 |
[30:05] | You know, Susie works, as well. She’s a dressmaker. | 苏西也在工作 她是裁缝师 |
[30:08] | I admire her. | 真令人佩服 |
[30:09] | Well, we have to make ends meet. | 总是得养家活口 |
[30:13] | Why not take Mr. Henderson through to the library? | 带韩德森先生去你书房吧 |
[30:16] | You can speak more freely there. | 那里你们讲话方便点 |
[30:19] | It’s true! And the worst thing is | 是真的 更糟的是 |
[30:21] | that Marian has shown up Frances’s other teachers. | 玛丽安让法兰丝其他老师相形失色 |
[30:25] | In her opinion, they are wrong. | 法兰丝认为其他老师都错了 |
[30:27] | Only Miss Brook can do right. | 只有布鲁克老师是对的 |
[30:30] | Frances is an adorable child | 法兰丝是可爱的孩子 |
[30:32] | but I must ask her to be more tolerant. | 我得请她放开心胸 |
[30:34] | I wish you success, as she may insist you take all her lessons | 预祝你成功 |
[30:35] | and not just watercolors. | 她大概会要你教全部科目 而不只是水彩画 |
[30:39] | – You paint in watercolors? – She does. | 你会水彩画 |
[30:40] | – And very well. – Thank you. | 没错 而且画得很好 |
[30:42] | How pleasing. | -谢谢讚美 -真不错 |
[30:44] | The showy oil paintings of the Masters normally get all the attention | 大多数人关注花俏的大师级油画 |
[30:48] | but watercolors have a champion in me. | 但我私心偏爱水彩画 |
[30:50] | Oh, me too. I just love them. | 我也是 我喜欢水彩画 |
[30:53] | Really, Ada? I’d never heard you say that. | 是哦 怎么没听你说过 |
[30:56] | Which watercolorist do you especially favor? | 说说你欣赏哪位画家 |
[31:00] | I know you mean to catch me out | 我知道你想害我出糗 |
[31:02] | but it happens that I admire the German painter, Adolph Menzel. | 我欣赏德国画家阿道夫孟佐 |
[31:07] | A marvelous fellow. | 很杰出的画家 |
[31:08] | He works in such a range of styles. | 他的画风很多变 |
[31:11] | Aren’t they mounting a Menzel exhibition here? | 纽约好像有孟佐画展 |
[31:13] | What is this? | 这是什么 |
[31:15] | Soup. | 是汤 |
[31:16] | Soup? At luncheon? | 哪有人午餐喝汤 |
[31:19] | Wasn’t it George IV who decreed that | 好像是乔治四世 |
[31:22] | no gentleman drinks soup in the middle of the day? | 下令禁止仕绅中午喝汤 |
[31:24] | This is New England clam chowder. | 是新英格兰蛤蜊巧达浓汤 |
[31:27] | I thought it would be a surprise. | 给大家一个惊喜 |
[31:28] | And so, it is. How did it get on my table? | 我确实惊讶是怎么上桌的 |
[31:31] | I conspired with Mrs. Bauer. | 我跟鲍尔太太串通好 |
[31:33] | And why was that, Aunt Ada? | 为什么 艾达伯母 |
[31:34] | The reverend mentioned | 前不久牧师说 |
[31:36] | that he was in search of an authentic bowl of chowder here in New York. | 想在纽约寻找道地的巧达浓汤 |
[31:40] | I believe I did. | 我确实说过 |
[31:42] | So, I set our cook to the task. | 因此我责成厨娘尝试 |
[31:44] | We went through quite a few receipts. | 我们试了好几种食谱 |
[31:47] | I hope you agree with her choice. | 希望结果令您满意 |
[31:49] | It smells delicious. | 闻起来很美味 |
[31:51] | Well, if we discuss the soup any longer, it won’t be fit to drink. | 再继续聊下去 汤都要冷了 |
[31:55] | Quite right, Mrs. van Rhijn. | 凡瑞恩夫人说的是 |
[31:59] | I’m looking forward to the evening with Oscar Wilde. | 我很期待观赏王尔德的新戏 |
[32:02] | I’ve read nothing about the play | 剧作我是没看过 |
[32:04] | but we know him a little, from one of our visits to England. | 之前去英国玩跟他有点交情 |
[32:07] | He’s such an entertaining man. | 不愧是娱乐界的人 |
[32:09] | And Miss Beaton will be in the party. | 彼顿小姐也会参加宴会 |
[32:11] | I’m glad. I like her. | 太好了 我喜欢她 |
[32:13] | And I think she likes you | 她好像也喜欢你 |
[32:15] | but you must promise me not to break her heart. | 你得保证不能伤人家的心 |
[32:17] | You have a very poor opinion of me. | 你对我的评价未免太低了 |
[32:19] | Are there more New England treats waiting in the wings? | 还有其他新英格兰菜要上桌吗 |
[32:22] | No, just the soup. | 没了 就汤而已 |
[32:24] | – How kind of you, Aunt Ada. – I agree. | -艾达伯母真体贴 -我同意 |
[32:26] | And it is kindness that does the most good in the world. | 善解人意让世界更美好 |
[32:30] | Well said, Reverend. | 说的真好 |
[32:32] | – More wine, ma’am? – Definitely. | -还要酒吗 -多倒一点 |
[32:37] | Where shall we start? | 从何说起呢 |
[32:38] | Why not begin with the simple facts? | 就说说现况吧 |
[32:41] | Your average steel man works 12 hours a day | 您底下工人每天工作12小时 |
[32:43] | six days a week, and all for a pittance. | 每周工作六天 工资少的可怜 |
[32:46] | When the bell sounds their release, they’re too broken | 铃响下班时已疲惫不堪 |
[32:48] | for anything more than a mouthful of food, and sleep. | 唯一能做的是吃饭睡觉 |
[32:52] | It’s an existence, it’s not a life. | 充其量是活着 算不上人生 |
[32:55] | You know I cannot pay my workers more than the normal rate. | 我不能支付高于一般的工资 |
[32:57] | – Why not? – It would upset the markets which would not benefit anyone. | -为何不行 -打乱市场行情 百害而无一利 |
[33:01] | I daresay, in time, wages will rise, | 我敢说 工资会与时俱进 |
[33:04] | but you must let these things evolve. | 这种事只能顺其自然 |
[33:06] | And working conditions? | 那工作环境呢 |
[33:09] | Must they evolve, too? | 也只能顺其自然 |
[33:10] | While men are maimed and killed through bad practice? | 任由工人在事故中受伤 |
[33:12] | Life is a dangerous business, Mr. Henderson. | 人生本就危机四伏 韩德森先生 |
[33:16] | I am a patron of the Brooklyn Bridge | 当年我出资兴建布鲁克林大桥 |
[33:18] | and more than 20 men have died in its construction. | 建筑过程有廿多人丧生 |
[33:20] | Would you rather it had not been built | 难道宁可不搭桥 |
[33:22] | and New York was forever a divided city? | 让纽约市继续一分为二 |
[33:23] | – No. – No. | -不是的 -当然不是 |
[33:26] | We cannot make the world a padded cell. | 不可能用软垫把世界包复住 |
[33:29] | Even for the comfort of your workers. | 只为了讨好工人 |
[33:30] | Things are changing, Mr. Russell. | 如今局势不同以往 |
[33:32] | Unions are stronger now. | 工会声势浩大 且日益茁壮 |
[33:33] | They will grow stronger still, and you will have to deal with them. | 你终归要面对 |
[33:36] | I am a man of business | 我是生意人 |
[33:38] | and I have jobs to offer in my mills, in my factories | 我的钢铁厂 工厂和铁路公司 提供就业机会 |
[33:41] | and on my railroads, and I pay the going rate. | 也支付市价工资 |
[33:44] | If your men don’t want to work for me then I suggest they step aside, | 要是有谁不想替我工作 那就让开 |
[33:48] | and make way for the many who do. | 很多人等着要做 |
[33:49] | Is that all you have to say? Did I come to New York to hear that? | 找我来纽约就是说这些 |
[33:52] | Not quite. | 不只如此 |
[33:55] | What if I offered you a job in management? | 我让你担任管理职如何 |
[33:57] | Is there any chance that you might take it? | -你愿意接受职位吗 -为何要接受 |
[34:00] | – Why would I? – To see your children | 让子女身体健康 不愁温饱 |
[34:03] | healthy, well-fed, and in the best schools. | 接受最好的教育 |
[34:06] | To let your wife give up her sewing if she so wishes. | 令妻也可选择不工作 |
[34:09] | To be a figure in the community, valued and admired? | 而你成为社区仕绅 备受爱戴和敬重 |
[34:13] | So, it would be to my own advantage? | -只有我一人得利 |
[34:15] | – Indeed, it would. – And how would that help | -没错 这对劳工 |
[34:16] | the workforce? | 有何助益 |
[34:18] | Oh, I see how it is. | 我懂你意思了 |
[34:21] | You are St. Michael with a flaming sword | 你是手持火剑的大天使米迦勒 |
[34:23] | and I am just a greedy robber baron. | 而我是贪婪的强盗资本家 |
[34:27] | You used the phrase, not I. | 这话是你说的 不是我 |
[34:32] | You’re very good, you know. | 你真是个高手 |
[34:35] | They were right to send you as their spokesman. | 怪不得工会找你当发言人 |
[34:38] | All we are asking is for you to do the right thing, Mr. Russell. | 我们唯一诉求就是请你做对的事 |
[34:41] | I pay you the compliment of being sure | 我愿意肯定你 |
[34:43] | that you know what the right thing would be. | 因为你知道什么是对的事 |
[34:45] | I hope you believe me. | 请相信我 |
[34:47] | I believe in your sincerity, Mr. Henderson. I do. | 我相信你的诚意 韩德森先生 这我不怀疑 |
[34:51] | But do you believe workers can win against capital? | 你相信劳方会战胜资方吗 |
[34:53] | Of which I blush to say I have a great deal. | 容我汗颜地说 我资本非常雄厚 |
[35:00] | Now I understand why you brought me here. | 现在知道为何找我来了 |
[35:03] | But you’re wrong, Mr. Russell. You have miscalculated. | 你错了 罗素先生 恐怕你是误判局势 |
[35:08] | The future is on our side. | 将来会是劳方的天下 |
[35:11] | And now I should go. | 先告辞了 |
[35:18] | Well, I’ve never been west of the Mississippi. | 我往西最远只到过密西西比 |
[35:21] | I’d like to see the Pacific Ocean. | 很想看看太平洋 |
[35:24] | I read that the California winter is like our fall | 书上说加州冬天像此地的秋天 |
[35:26] | except the leaves don’t change their color. | 但树叶不会变色 |
[35:30] | I think I’d miss that. | 我会很怀念此景 |
[35:31] | You’ll go to San Francisco, then? | 你决定搬到旧金山了 |
[35:34] | I’m still undecided. | 还没决定 |
[35:37] | It’s a strange thing to be forced out of your child’s life, twice. | 被迫与女儿分离太奇怪了 况且还两次 |
[35:42] | Of course, when I first left she was just a little girl. It wasn’t her fault. | 第一次她年纪还小 不能怪她 |
[35:46] | So, you think she had a hand in this proposition, then? | 你认为这件事她也有份囉 |
[35:48] | Well, I can’t imagine that he would banish her own father | 没经她同意就把岳父赶到西岸 |
[35:51] | to the other side of the country without consulting her. | 未免说不过去 |
[35:54] | I suppose. | 也是 |
[35:55] | Maybe it was her idea. | 很可能是她的意思 |
[35:57] | He just served as the executioner. | 丈夫只是照做 |
[36:00] | I don’t have children so I can’t speak to how it must feel | 我没有子女 无法体会这种感受 |
[36:03] | but you are still, and will always be, her father. | 无论如何你都是她的父亲 |
[36:07] | No one can change that. | 谁也改变不了 |
[36:09] | Maybe… | 或许吧 |
[36:11] | but they are certainly trying to erase any reminder of it. | 他们想尽一切办法抹煞这个事实 |
[36:15] | How did it go, Mr. Church? | 一切还好吗 邱区先生 |
[36:16] | Well, I’m not used to serving horny-handed sons of toil | 我不习惯服侍粗手粗脚的工人 |
[36:19] | but it seemed to go fairly well. | 但还算顺利 |
[36:21] | Did the mistress turn up in the end? | 夫人出席了吗 |
[36:22] | Oh, yes. | 出席了 而且很平静 |
[36:23] | Cool as a cucumber. Butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth. | 好像没事发生过 |
[36:26] | What’s the argument about? | 老爷夫人为何争吵 |
[36:27] | I don’t know, but she hasn’t forgiven him. | 不知道 看来夫人还没原谅老爷 |
[36:29] | – Not yet. – She will. | 迟早会的 |
[36:30] | Has the union man gone? | 工会那家伙回去了吗 |
[36:31] | Yes, and good riddance. | 回去了 最好别再来 |
[36:32] | All unions do is make everything worse than it was before. | 工会只会把现状搞得更糟 |
[36:37] | I’m not sure that’s quite the whole picture, Mr. Church. | 我认为事情全貌并非如此 |
[36:39] | What if they started a servants’ union? | 若成立了仆役工会 |
[36:41] | Would you join it? | 你会加入吗 |
[36:43] | I’d rather be struck dead by lightning. | 我宁可被雷劈死 |
[36:46] | I take it that’s a no. | 意思就是不会 |
[36:52] | Thank you for today. | 今天真是谢谢你 |
[36:56] | He hasn’t backed down. | 韩德森还是不肯让步 |
[36:57] | I can only hope I’ve given him something to think about. | 只希望他考虑一下我的提议 |
[37:00] | Good. | 那就好 |
[37:03] | Are you going up to dress? | 你要上楼更衣吗 |
[37:05] | No, I’ll have a tray in my room. | 不了 我在房里用餐 |
[37:09] | Will the children dine with me or have you made other plans? | 他们兄妹会跟我一起用餐 还是你另有打算 |
[37:12] | This is our quarrel, not theirs. | 你我吵架 跟他俩无关 |
[37:15] | But they’re both going to the theater tonight | 他们今晚去看戏 |
[37:17] | so you’ll eat on your own. | 晚餐你自己吃 |
[37:21] | How long will it be like this? | 你还要气多久 |
[37:23] | I don’t know, George. | 我也不知道 |
[37:25] | Betrayal is not like a case of influenza. | 背叛不像感冒那么简单 |
[37:27] | No, it feels more like a death sentence. | 倒像是我被判了死刑 |
[37:30] | Won’t you allow me to make things up to you? | 给我机会弥补 |
[37:44] | Open in the name of the Emperor! | 以皇帝之名 快开门 |
[37:47] | Brothers, be masked, all of you. | 弟兄们 大家快把脸蒙住 |
[37:50] | Have you not noticed the proclamation, fellows? | 你们看到布告了吗 |
[37:54] | Nay, sir. | 没有 |
[37:55] | Let me see who you are. | 给我看看你们的脸 |
[37:57] | Take off those players’ masks. | 快把面罩拿掉 |
[38:00] | Stand back, I say, General Kotemkin! | 快退后 寇腾金将军 |
[38:03] | His Imperial Highness, the Czarevitch! | 皇太子殿下 |
[38:08] | Is this the most boring play in the world | 这出戏是全世界最无聊 |
[38:10] | or just in New York? | 还是全纽约而已 |
[38:11] | You’d better think of something to praise | 待会见到剧作家本人 |
[38:13] | when we meet the playwright later. | 最好想些词来讚美他 |
[38:15] | That’s rather testy. | 太难了 |
[38:16] | I wonder why he thinks he can write. | 他怎会自以为文笔很好 |
[38:18] | He does know how to talk. | 他口才倒是很好 |
[38:20] | I met him at a dinner when he was here last year | 我去年在一场餐宴认识他 |
[38:21] | and I was in stitches. | 被他逗得可乐了 |
[38:24] | He may be witty, but clearly, he hasn’t learned how to harness it. | 他或许机敏 却不懂得节制 |
[38:27] | I’m not sure that’s the compliment we’re looking for. | 你确定这是讚美之词 |
[38:34] | Well, good night, Your Highness. | 晚安了 王子殿下 |
[38:39] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[38:41] | Good night, General! | 晚安了 将军 |
[38:44] | Saved! And by you! | 是你救了我们 |
[38:47] | Brothers, do you trust me now? | 弟兄们 现在相信我了吗 |
[39:01] | Shall I fetch you a drink of something? | 我去帮你拿杯喝的 还有时间 |
[39:02] | – We’ve got time. – No, let’s just stay here. | 不用了 我们待着就好 |
[39:07] | Are you going on to the party later? | 待会的派对你去吗 |
[39:09] | Well, Aurora’s asked me, so I suppose so. | 奥萝拉都开口邀请了 我会去的 |
[39:14] | Unless I take you back to your house? | 不然我们回你家去 |
[39:16] | No one would know. | 没人会发觉的 |
[39:18] | Or is that a wicked suggestion? | 这样做会很坏吗 |
[39:20] | It’s certainly a tempting one. | 很诱人的提议 |
[39:24] | I don’t think too much of this play, do you? | 我不太喜欢这出戏 你呢 |
[39:30] | What on earth are we going to say to Mr. Wilde? | 待会见了他本人该说什么 |
[39:32] | Would you mind terribly if I didn’t come? To the party, I mean. | 我不去参加派对你会不开心吗 |
[39:36] | We don’t have to stay for the second act if you’d rather not. | 你不想看的话 第二场戏就可以离开了 |
[39:41] | But is everything all right? | 你还好吗 |
[39:43] | Oh, Frances had a difficult day. | 法兰丝今天有点不开心 |
[39:45] | – She seemed fine in class. – Yes, but as you know | 我看她在课堂还好好的 你也知道 |
[39:48] | the school is putting on a mother-daughter tea | 学校要举办母女茶会 |
[39:51] | – and as her mother is… – I understand. | -而她母亲已经‥ -我懂了 |
[39:55] | My own mother died when I was very young. | 我也是自幼丧母 |
[39:58] | I fool myself that we’re doing so well, Frances and I | 我骗自己我们父女过得很好 |
[40:01] | and then all of a sudden, life catches us out. | 突然出现情况 令我们措手不及 |
[40:05] | I’m sorry to burden you. | 抱歉向你抱怨 |
[40:07] | May I propose something? | -我倒有个提议 -请说 |
[40:09] | – Of course. – I’m hardly a substitute | 跟她母亲比我差远了 |
[40:12] | but I’d be glad to accompany Frances to the tea | 若能让她开心 我可以 |
[40:15] | if it would help. | 陪她去茶宴 |
[40:17] | It would help a great deal. | 那真是太好了 |
[40:21] | And Frances would be delighted. | 法兰丝一定会欣喜若狂 |
[40:24] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[40:26] | Now I am twice in your debt. | 现在我欠你两次了 |
[40:28] | What do you mean? | 怎么说 |
[40:30] | The tennis wager. | 上次的网球赌注 |
[40:32] | I haven’t forgotten. | 我可没忘记 |
[40:38] | Where is young Mr. Russell? Has he gone? | 小罗素先生呢 回去了吗 |
[40:40] | He’s taken Mrs. Blane home. She had a headache. | 布连夫人头痛 他送她回家了 |
[40:43] | How convenient. And what fun. | 真是好借口 他俩可乐了 |
[40:45] | Oh, no, it’s nothing like that. | 别误会 不是那样的 |
[40:48] | Mr. Oscar Wilde. | 奥斯卡王尔德先生到 |
[40:55] | How very kind you are, Mrs. Fane | 感谢芬恩夫人 |
[40:57] | to let me throw off the chains of the theater | 让我得以摆脱剧界束缚 |
[40:59] | so that I may step into society, as if I were not damaged goods. | 一窥上流社会 暂时忘却我的恶名 |
[41:03] | Oh, nonsense, Mr. Wilde. You honor us with your presence. | 王尔德先生客气了 承蒙您大驾光临 |
[41:06] | We are delighted to celebrate you. | 很开心庆祝您的新戏 |
[41:08] | And how I love being celebrated. | 很开心有人为我庆祝 |
[41:11] | Now let me introduce you to some of our guests. | 我来介绍一下在场嘉宾 |
[41:13] | – This is Miss Maude Beaton. – Pleasure. | -这位是茉德彼顿小姐 -幸会 |
[41:15] | And your namesake, my cousin, Oscar van Rhijn. | 这位则跟您同名 我的表亲奥斯卡凡瑞恩 |
[41:19] | We Oscars must stick together. | 我们叫奥斯卡的要团结 |
[41:21] | How do you find America? | 您还习惯美国吗 |
[41:23] | Well, I can manage almost everything, but the food and the wallpaper. | 几乎所有东西都能适应 除了料理与壁纸 |
[41:29] | Were you pleased with how the play went? | 还满意演出结果吗 |
[41:32] | An audience is seldom pleasing.It’s a bonus if they don’t disappoint. | 观众本就难以取悦 没有负评就算好 |
[41:35] | But what’s your verdict? | 您觉得呢 |
[41:37] | It was interesting. | 这出戏很有意思 |
[41:39] | “Interesting” is a weasel word | “有意思”是一种推讬之词 |
[41:41] | and generally used to avoid giving a real opinion. | 多半因为不想发表意见 |
[41:45] | I liked Marie Prescott. | 我很欣赏玛丽普斯科 |
[41:47] | Yes, she’s glamorous enough | 她的美貌足以令人忽略台词 |
[41:49] | to take our minds off the text, but I don’t think it’ll run. | 我认为这出戏不会红 |
[41:52] | Well, you will run, Mr. Wilde. As long and as far as you care to. | 王尔德先生客气了 您一定会名扬四海 |
[41:55] | – And you are? – John Adams. | -阁下是 -约翰亚当斯 幸会 |
[41:57] | How do you do? | 你好吗 |
[41:59] | And this is our new friend, Miss Gladys Russell. | 这位是新朋友葛莱蒂罗素小姐 |
[42:02] | Well, I hope you enjoyed the play, Miss Russell. | 希望您看得还开心 |
[42:05] | Is “enjoy” the right word when a tsar is murdered | 应该说开心吗 |
[42:07] | and the evening ends with the heroine stabbing herself? | 戏中沙皇遭暗杀 剧末女主角还自杀了 |
[42:11] | So young, and already a critic. | 年纪轻轻已成了剧评 |
[42:16] | So, you’ve met the charming Miss Beaton? | 你已经认识迷人的彼顿小姐 |
[42:18] | I suppose it was only a matter of time. | 看来好事已近 |
[42:20] | I like her very much. | 我很喜欢她 |
[42:23] | Are you here with Gladys Russell? | 你陪葛莱蒂罗素来的 |
[42:25] | As a friend. | 以朋友身份 |
[42:26] | What if she wants more from you? | 万一她不想只当朋友呢 |
[42:28] | She’ll be disappointed as I’m already spoken for. | 恐怕她会失望 我已经有伴了 |
[42:34] | Have he and I met? | 我认识的吗 |
[42:35] | No. But I’ll introduce you soon. | 不认识 我不久会介绍给你 |
[42:42] | Are you happy with him? | 跟他在一起快乐吗 |
[42:43] | Oscar, I’m happy with me. | 奥斯卡 我为自己感到快乐 |
[42:45] | That’s as much as I need or hope for. | 这正是我所追求的状态 |
[42:49] | I rather envy you. | 我真羨慕你 |
[42:52] | Who is Miss Russell? | 罗素小姐 |
[42:53] | One of your famous heiresses, I suppose. | 想必是当地名媛吧 |
[42:55] | How clever you are, Mr. Wilde. | 您真有眼光 王尔德先生 |
[42:58] | Yes, one of the greatest of her year. | 她是同辈中最出色的名媛 |
[43:00] | Well, it seems we’re in a room full of young heiresses. | 今天在场的名媛不少 |
[43:04] | Which is your cousin sounding out? | 您表亲看上了哪一个 |
[43:06] | I shouldn’t admit it, but of course, you’re right. | 我不好意思承认 但您想得没错 |
[43:08] | He has his eye on Miss Beaton now. | 他属意的是茉德彼顿小姐 |
[43:11] | And the young man with him? | 跟他说话的那位男士呢 |
[43:13] | John Adams. He’s an old friend of Oscar’s. | 约翰亚当斯 |
[43:14] | Yes, indeed, yes. | 他是奥斯卡的老朋友 |
[43:16] | And I can see that getting rather complicated. | 显然是 情况越来越复杂了 |
[43:20] | I don’t know what you mean. | 我不懂您的意思 |
[43:21] | Nor should you. You’re far too well brought up. | 不懂才好 您的教养太高贵 |
[43:30] | Have you not heard of the opera battle | 听说正在进行 |
[43:32] | that’s being waged at the moment? | 的歌剧院之战吗 |
[43:33] | Oh, indeed I have. Though it seems strange to me | 听说了 但我不懂 |
[43:35] | to wage a war over that yellow brick brewery | 位在百老汇和39街那栋黄砖啤酒厂 |
[43:38] | on Broadway and 39th Street. | 有什么好争的 |
[43:39] | Is that fair? | 这么说有失公允 |
[43:41] | No, you’re quite right. | 你说的没错 |
[43:42] | If it were actually a brewery | 至少要令人开心 |
[43:43] | someone might hope to get some pleasure from it. | 才配称为啤酒厂 |
[43:45] | We’re proud of our opera, Mr. Wilde. | 我们为歌剧院感到自豪 |
[43:49] | It has been my experience that you are proud of many things that would not translate to the Old World. | 看来你们似乎对很多 不为传统社会接纳的事物感到自豪 |
[43:55] | But is the Old World better? | 传统就比较好吗 |
[43:57] | Not better, exactly, just more tested by time. | 不见得比较好 至少经得起时间考验 |
[44:05] | You’re back so soon? | 这么早就回来 |
[44:07] | I thought you were in Newport all summer. | 不是夏天都待在纽波特 |
[44:08] | I went with Mr. Church and Mr. Watson, the master’s valet. | 我跟邱区先生和老爷侍者华生一起去 |
[44:11] | We all came back much sooner than Mr. Church expected. | 邱区先生也没料到我们会提早回来 |
[44:14] | What’s the Newport house like? | 纽波特的房子是什么样子 |
[44:16] | It’s gracious and grand. | 非常宽敞且豪华 |
[44:18] | They call it a cottage. It’s not like a cottage to me. | 主子称之为小屋 在我看来一点也不小 |
[44:22] | I like the town, though. | 市区倒挺不错的 |
[44:23] | We’ll go back soon. We’re only here for the mistress’s tea party. | 我们不久会再过去 夫人只是回来办茶宴 |
[44:26] | – How’d it go? – Do you know about Miss Turner? | -茶宴还顺利吗 -我家夫人前任侍女透纳小姐 |
[44:28] | The lady’s maid? She turned up at the party, as a guest. | 她这会儿成了茶宴的宾客 |
[44:32] | – What? – It’s true. | -什么 -是真的 |
[44:34] | She’s married a rich, old, property man | 她嫁了个有钱的老地产大亨 |
[44:37] | and now she’s the talk of the town. | 人人都在谈这件事 |
[44:38] | What does Mrs. Russell say to that? | 罗素夫人怎么说 |
[44:40] | There’s not much she can say | 她还能怎么说 |
[44:41] | but I don’t think she likes it. Not one bit. | 我想她肯定是极为不高兴 |
[44:44] | Mrs. van Rhijn wouldn’t like it much if Miss Armstrong left | 凡瑞恩夫人也会不乐意 |
[44:46] | and came back as Mrs. Rockefeller. Anyway, I’d better get back. | 哪天看到阿姆斯壮小姐回来 成了洛克菲勒夫人 |
[44:51] | Hurry now, don’t let them melt. | 我该回去了 |
[45:00] | I have some contributions for the rummage sale. | 我来捐东西给慈善义卖会 |
[45:03] | – In there? – Thank you so much. | 在里面吗 谢谢你 |
[45:05] | – I understand. – Not one bit! | -我明白 -你懂才怪 |
[45:09] | Miss Brook! | 布鲁克小姐 |
[45:11] | Is everything all right? | 一切还好吗 |
[45:13] | Oh, Mr. Dawson had a low opinion of how we give out communion. | 道森先生对圣餐仪式不甚满意 |
[45:17] | What part of it was he criticizing? | 哪个地方不满意 |
[45:19] | The part where I offer communion to those he deems undeserving. | 他认为某些人不配领圣餐 |
[45:23] | What you must have to put up with. | 真是难为您了 |
[45:25] | Let’s just say that some of God’s children can be very tiresome. | 某些上帝子民实在令人厌烦 |
[45:30] | Are you allowed to say that? | 您可以说这种话吗 |
[45:32] | Can’t I? To you? | 不能对你说吗 |
[45:33] | Of course, you can. We’re friends. | 当然可以 我们是朋友 |
[45:37] | Good. | 那就好 |
[45:40] | I enjoyed luncheon. | 谢谢那天的午餐招待 |
[45:42] | And I was truly touched that you had your cook prepare the chowder. | 十分感谢您请厨娘准备巧达浓汤 |
[45:45] | Oh, I’m happy if you enjoyed it. | 我很高兴你喜欢 |
[45:49] | I think everyone did. | 在座的都喜欢 |
[45:50] | Except, possibly, Mrs. van Rhijn. | 大概除了凡瑞恩夫人 |
[45:52] | Oh, my sister. | 家姊真是的 |
[45:54] | Pleasing her can be little short of a miracle. | 能取悦她的恐怕只有奇蹟 |
[45:56] | Well, I’m in the miracle business. | 我正好从事奇蹟这行 |
[45:59] | Do you remember, when we were talking about watercolors | 还记得谈水彩画 |
[46:01] | you mentioned Adolph Menzel? | 你提到阿道夫孟佐 |
[46:02] | I do. | 记得 |
[46:04] | I found the exhibition of his work that I mentioned. | 我找到画展的场地 |
[46:06] | It’s at the Ross Gallery on West 42nd. | 在西42街的罗斯艺廊 |
[46:09] | I thought maybe we might go together. | 我们一起去看画展吧 |
[46:15] | I’ll be there on Saturday, at four o’clock | 我周六下午四点会到 |
[46:18] | in case you can join me. | 您去了就届时见 |
[46:30] | Because I believe I could make the story better. | 我能把报导写得更好 |
[46:34] | Better for your paper, better for your readers. | 对本报和读者来说都是好事 |
[46:39] | That’s all I have to say. I won’t bother you anymore about it. | 我言尽于此 不会再多说了 |
[46:46] | – A train ticket? – We leave on Monday. | -火车票 -周一出发 |
[46:49] | Pack light. It’s humid in Alabama. | 轻装简行 阿拉巴马很潮湿 |
[47:08] | I’ve been waiting for you to get back. | 我一直在等你回来 |
[47:10] | Why, particularly? | 有特别的原因吗 |
[47:12] | I need an excuse to leave the house for a couple of hours on Saturday. | 这周六我必须借故出门两小时 |
[47:16] | Are there any errands I could run? | 有需要我帮忙跑腿的事吗 |
[47:20] | None that I can think of. | 应该没有吧 |
[47:21] | Well, I might just go anyway, by myself. | 那我就自己出门 |
[47:25] | If Agnes wonders where I am, you could say Bloomingdale’s. | 若爱格问起 就说我去‥布鲁明黛百货 |
[47:31] | Well, this all sounds very cloak and dagger, Aunt Ada. | 听起来神秘兮兮的 |
[47:33] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[47:38] | You mustn’t say a word to Agnes, or even Miss Scott | 千万别让爱格知道 史考特小姐也别说 |
[47:42] | but the Reverend Mr. Forte has invited me to meet him | 弗特牧师邀我 |
[47:44] | at an art gallery on 42nd Street. | 到42街的艺廊会面 |
[47:48] | How intriguing. | 这可有意思了 |
[47:50] | Then again, there may be nothing to it. | 也可能是我多想了 |
[47:53] | Perhaps I shouldn’t go. | 或许我不该去 |
[47:54] | Nonsense. Of course, you must go. | 别这么说 你当然要去 |
[47:56] | I want to, but Agnes will ask | 我很想去 但爱格一问起 |
[47:58] | and then I’ll stumble all over myself. | 我会支支吾吾的 |
[48:01] | Why don’t I go with you? | 我跟你一起去吧 |
[48:04] | Would you? | 可以吗 |
[48:05] | I won’t stay. | 我不会久留 |
[48:07] | I’ll just accompany you to the gallery | 我陪你去 |
[48:08] | to throw Aunt Agnes off the scent. | 好让爱格姑妈不起疑心 |
[48:09] | And if she asks where we’re going, let me speak. | 要是她问起就由我来回话 |
[48:12] | You would do that? For me? | 你愿意为了我这么做 |
[48:14] | Look who’s scheming now, Aunt Ada. | 瞧你 真是老谋深算哪 |
[48:16] | Oh, stop. | 少贫嘴了 |
[48:22] | I didn’t know you were coming home. | 我怎不知道你要回家 |
[48:24] | I need more of my summer clothes. | 我回来拿夏天衣物 |
[48:27] | I suppose that means you’ll be staying on 61st Street | 表示你整个夏天 |
[48:30] | through the end of the summer? | 都会待在六一街了 |
[48:32] | Maybe. | 或许吧 |
[48:33] | But I need the clothes to visit | 我拿衣服是为了 |
[48:34] | the new colored school in Tuskegee | 去塔斯基吉黑人学院 |
[48:37] | headed by Mr. Booker T. Washington. | 校长正是布克华盛顿先生 |
[48:40] | Tuskegee in Alabama? | 阿拉巴马的塔斯基吉 |
[48:42] | Is there another one? | 不然还有别处吗 |
[48:44] | Why do you have to go there? | 你干嘛要去那里 |
[48:46] | Mr. Fortune gave me an assignment. | 福顿先生要我写报导 |
[48:48] | We’re covering the opening of a new dormitory. | 主题是新落成的宿舍楼 |
[48:51] | It’s a real opportunity. | 这是千载难逢的好机会 |
[48:53] | I understand that, but… | 我明白 但是‥ |
[48:55] | Then what’s the matter? | 有问题吗 |
[48:57] | The matter is that | 问题是 |
[48:58] | you have never been south of the Mason and Dixon line. | 你从未跨过梅森狄克森线 |
[49:02] | We’re staying with Mr. Washington and his wife. | 我们会借住华盛顿夫妇的家 |
[49:04] | They have a big house | 房子很大 |
[49:05] | and some of the teachers from the school live there, too. | 一些教师也住在那里 |
[49:08] | It’ll be all right. | 没问题的 |
[49:09] | It’s dangerous. | 太危险了 |
[49:11] | Mother. | 母亲 |
[49:13] | We came to New York for a different kind of life | 我们来纽约是为了过不同的日子 |
[49:16] | a life that colored people can’t have down there. | 南方黑人不可能过的日子 |
[49:20] | Does your father know where you’re going? | -你父亲知道这件事吗 |
[49:21] | No, ma’am, it all just happened. | -还不知道 我也才刚确定 |
[49:23] | But you don’t seem to understand that once you cross that line | 你脑子还没想清楚 |
[49:26] | you are no longer human. | 一旦跨过那条界线 就不再有人把你当人看待 |
[49:35] | Now, you must promise me to always stay with your group. | 千万别离开同行的人 |
[49:39] | – Never go out alone. | 绝对不要单独行动 |
[49:40] | – I can promise that. | 我向您保证 |
[49:41] | Do not make eye contact with any white folks. | 别跟任何白人有眼神接触 |
[49:45] | And don’t speak to them. | 别跟他们说话 |
[49:47] | Even the slightest gesture or look can be misconstrued. | 再小的举止眼神都可能引起误会 |
[49:50] | You’re telling me to be subservient? | 您要我低声下气 |
[49:52] | I’m telling you how to stay alive. | 我是在教你生存之道 |
[49:55] | And if it were up to me, you would not be going at all. | 要是由得了我 肯定不让你去 |
[49:57] | Well, I have to go. | 我非去不可 |
[50:00] | I need this. | 这对我很重要 |
[50:03] | I need to show the world that there are young colored people | 要让外界看到 黑人青年 |
[50:06] | really making something of their lives. | 也能有所作为 |
[50:08] | It gives me a purpose. | 给了我人生目标 |
[50:10] | And if I can put my whole self into my work | 唯有全神投注工作 |
[50:13] | then I won’t have a spare second to think about my poor boy. | 才不会想起我那可怜的儿子 |
[50:18] | Oh, my darling girl. I know. | 我的宝贝女儿 |
[50:22] | I know. | 我明白‥ |
[50:24] | I am so sorry you are going through this, | 我很难过你得承受这种事 |
[50:26] | but listen to me. | 但请听我一言 |
[50:29] | The South is no place to find refuge | 南方不是寻找慰借的地方 |
[50:32] | and I wish you’d reconsider. | 希望你再考虑一下 |
[50:40] | Apparently, this duke is arriving in two weeks’ time | 看来公爵两周后会到美国 |
[50:44] | aboard the RMS Servia, one of the Cunard ships. | 搭乘丘纳公司旗下的皇家邮轮 |
[50:47] | You have contacts at Cunard? | 你在丘纳有人脉吧 |
[50:49] | A couple. | 是有两个 |
[50:50] | This is the Duke of Buckingham? Yes. | -你是指白金汉公爵 -就是他 |
[50:54] | Can you find out where he’ll be staying when he gets here? | 看能不能打听到他来美国的住所 |
[50:57] | What reason would I give? | 要用什么理由 |
[50:58] | Well, can’t you say it’s business? | 不能说是公事吗 |
[51:00] | But it’s not business, is it? | 这不是公事吧 |
[51:02] | If word got back to him and I couldn’t justify it | 万一给他知道了 我又说不出理由 |
[51:04] | how would that make me look? | 岂不有失颜面 |
[51:06] | What do we know about him, anyway? | 我们对他知道多少 |
[51:08] | We know he’s a real duke and | 他是货真价实的爵爷 |
[51:09] | Turner means to use him to dazzle Newport. | 透纳打算用他向全纽波特炫耀 |
[51:11] | What else do we need to know? | 还需要知道什么 |
[51:14] | I still don’t understand. | 我还是不懂 |
[51:16] | I want to put Turner’s nose out of joint. | 我打算让透纳气得牙痒痒的 |
[51:18] | You have to trust me. | 你得相信我 |
[51:20] | I do trust you. | 我相信你 |
[51:22] | More than you trust me, I think. | 反倒是你没那么相信我 |
[51:24] | Then prove it. | 那就证明给我看 |
[51:25] | There must be someone at Cunard who could help. | 丘纳公司一定有人帮得上忙 |
[51:28] | And if I succeed… | 要是我办成的话 |
[51:31] | will I be forgiven for my failings? | 你愿意原谅我吗 |
[51:34] | Find the duke, get me an introduction | 去打听公爵消息向我报告 |
[51:38] | and then we’ll talk. | 之后再看着办 |
[51:39] | Very well. | 知道了 |
[51:41] | I’ll do my best. | 我尽力就是 |
[51:46] | I told him he was wrong about us. | 我告诉他错看我们了 |
[51:48] | I told him we’re united | 还说无论如何 |
[51:50] | and that we’ll stand together no matter what. | 我们都会团结 |
[51:52] | – Hear, hear. – But did he listen to you? | -说得好‥ -他听进去了吗 |
[51:54] | Oh, he thought I could be bought off | 他打算收买我 |
[51:56] | but I think he knows now that won’t happen. | 却碰了一鼻子灰 |
[51:58] | So, what’s next? | 下一步是什么 |
[51:59] | All right, his first objective will be to divide us. | 他首先会分化我们 |
[52:01] | – He’ll offer some of us money. – Exactly. | -买通一些人 -正是 |
[52:03] | No doubt Mr. Clay’ll come up with more money | 克雷先生肯定会 |
[52:05] | for the catchers and roughers | 捧着大把钞票来 |
[52:06] | And more for the American-born over the immigrants. | 尤其针对非移民的美国人 |
[52:09] | They’ll do anything they can to split us into factions. | 想尽办法分化我们的力量 |
[52:12] | And they’ll use that to destroy us. | 借以击败我们 |
[52:13] | No, they won’t, ’cause we won’t let them succeed. | 我们绝不会让他们得逞 |
[52:17] | Does Mr. Russell know we’re prepared to strike? | 罗素先生知道我们打算罢工吗 |
[52:19] | – Is he ready for that? – He knows we could strike | 他知道有此可能 |
[52:21] | but he won’t be gentle in his arguments | 但他绝不会因此退让 |
[52:23] | I can promise you that. | 我能保证 |
[52:25] | Mr. Russell’s not a weak man | 罗素先生不好对付 |
[52:26] | and there’s no point pretending otherwise. | 要认清这一点 |
[52:28] | Then we should prepare. | 那就要做好准备 |
[52:30] | And when the time comes, we must be ready to strike. | 时机一到就进行罢工 |
[52:33] | – Right. – Ready to fight. | -我同意‥没错 |
[52:34] | – I’m with you. – Exactly. | -做好抗争准备 |
[52:36] | And if it comes, we have to be ready to die. | 就算一死也在所不惜 |
[52:40] | – That’s right! – We do. | 对 说的没错‥ |
[52:41] | Yeah, that’s right. | 没错 |
[52:52] | He’s here. | 他已经到了 |
[52:53] | I’ll go for a walk outside while you enjoy the exhibition. | 我出去散步 你们慢慢看画 |
[53:14] | Miss Brook. How lovely to see you. | 布鲁克小姐 真高兴你来了 |
[53:16] | I’m sorry I’m late. | 抱歉我迟到了 |
[53:18] | But you’re not. You’re right on time. | 没有啊 你很准时 |
[53:20] | I just started to look at the pictures | 我不确定你会不会来 |
[53:21] | because I wasn’t certain you’d come. | 所以开始看画了 |
[53:24] | Oh, I like this one, don’t you? | 这幅画真好看 你说是吧 |
[53:29] | It’s so vibrant and busy. | 色彩鲜豔而繁复 |
[53:36] | Menzel is quite a solitary man, you know. | 孟佐一向深居简出 身材矮小 |
[53:39] | Very short, literally four-foot-six | 才四呎六吋高 头却很大 |
[53:43] | with a large head, which may have made him shy. | 或许是他自卑的原因 |
[53:49] | He certainly never married. | 他一辈子未婚 |
[53:51] | But we mustn’t hold that against him. | 但我们都没资格批评他这一点 |
[53:54] | You make me wish I’d known him. | 说得我真想认识他 |
[53:56] | He’s still alive, but quite old now. | 他还在世 但是很老了 |
[54:00] | Maybe too old to make new friends. | 或许老到无法结交新朋友 |
[54:03] | Especially single ladies from Fifth Avenue. | 尤其是第五大道的单身女性 |
[54:07] | His hero is Frederick the Great | 他最崇拜军事天才腓特烈大帝 |
[54:09] | that military genius. Which seems odd, really. | 这点倒是挺怪的 |
[54:13] | But Frederick figures in many of his pictures. | 腓特烈大帝常出现在他的画作 |
[54:16] | I so enjoy your knowledge. | 我好欣赏你的知识渊博 |
[54:18] | If that doesn’t sound too forward. | 希望这么说不会太踰矩 |
[54:20] | I take it as a great compliment. | 我认为这是极大的讚美 |
[54:24] | What did your sister make of your agreeing to meet me here? | 你来这里见我 令姊怎么想 |
[54:28] | Oh, well… you’ve met Agnes. | 这个啊‥你也见过爱格 |
[54:32] | She always has an opinion at the ready. | 她不论对什么都有意见 |
[54:37] | I hope she has a good opinion of me. | 希望她对我有好印象 |
[54:39] | Of course. | 还用说吗 |
[54:40] | We’re both so grateful you were appointed. | 我俩都很庆幸您派驻本教区 |
[54:44] | Really, we couldn’t be more pleased. | 真是再好不过了 |
[54:46] | I’m grateful, too, Miss Brook. | 我也感到庆幸 布鲁克小姐 |
[54:50] | For several reasons. | 原因有很多 |
[54:57] | Oh, look at this one. Isn’t it lovely? | 你看这幅 多美呀 |