时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | Miss Dole | Dole小姐 |
[00:04] | Professor | 教授 |
[00:06] | I won’t die. | 我不会死的 |
[00:08] | I’ll live forever. | 我会一直活下去 |
[00:09] | If for no other reason, I’d see this through. | 不为别的 就为了把这件事做个了结 |
[00:12] | Your client’s cigarette killed my wife. | 你当事人的香烟杀死了我的妻子 |
[00:15] | Bobby Donnell is a good practioner. | Bobby Donnell 是个不错的律师 |
[00:17] | You studied to be a lawyer. | 但是你可以成为更好的 |
[00:18] | I, I don’t mean to speak out of turn. | 我 我不想多管闲事 |
[00:21] | It’s just… | 只不过 |
[00:22] | I should hate to see you wast your gift. | 我真的不想看到你浪费自己的天分 |
[00:24] | This is your third time, Mr. Holston. | 你这是第三次了 Holsten先生 |
[00:26] | It was an accident. | 这次是意外 |
[00:27] | You exposed your penis by accident? | 你意外地暴露了你的生殖器? |
[00:29] | I was protesting NAFTA | 我当时在抗议NAFTA |
[00:31] | in my experience | 据我所知 |
[00:32] | genitalia rarely collides with sunlight | “小弟弟”可不会因为美国的贸易协议 |
[00:34] | because of US trade agreement. | 就想要出来见见阳光 |
[00:36] | You see this? | 看到这个了吗 |
[00:37] | Uh? Eviction notice | 嗯 驱逐通知 |
[00:40] | These are the kinds of things that happen | 当你付不起租金 |
[00:42] | when you can’t make the rent. | 就会发生这样的事情 |
[00:43] | 70 thousand?! | 7万块? |
[00:44] | I’m doing 90. | 我要还9万 |
[00:45] | With the usurious rates you got… | 按照你们那种高利贷的利率… |
[00:46] | Come on. Cut me a small break, do ya? | 让我稍稍喘口气 好不好 |
[00:47] | Hello Jimmy! Do I ask for much? | 嘿 Jimmy 我的要求很过分么 |
[00:49] | You ask all the time, Bobby. | 你一直在索要 Bobby |
[00:51] | I give like a cow, | 我像头奶牛一样付出 |
[00:52] | I’m growing udders here. | 我都要长出乳房来了 |
[00:53] | I’ll give you construction loan for office expansion. | 我可以给你用于扩建办公室的建筑贷款 |
[00:55] | Thank you | 谢谢 |
[01:08] | Get away from me. | 放开我 |
[01:29] | You’re the guy’s Rabbi. | 你是他的拉比 |
[01:30] | Yeah, but he asked to see his lawyer. | 嗯 但是他要见律师 |
[01:33] | Bobby, be quiet. | Bobby 耐心点 |
[01:38] | Dr. Braun. | Braun医生 |
[01:40] | Thank you for coming. | 谢谢你能来 |
[01:45] | This is her tombstone. | 这是她的墓碑 |
[01:47] | See, I wanted you to…uh, | 我请你来是想…呃 |
[01:53] | wrongful death is such a legal term. | 不当死亡…这个术语太专业 |
[01:58] | Cause of action. | 诉由 |
[02:00] | This is more than a cause of action for me. | 这对我来说绝不仅仅是个诉由 |
[02:04] | I have never thought otherwise. | 我完全理解 |
[02:08] | Has there been any progress? | 有什么进展吗 |
[02:10] | We’re waiting until the criminal trial is over. | 我们要等待刑事审判结束 |
[02:13] | What if he’s not convicted? | 要是他被判无罪怎么办 |
[02:15] | Well, that doesn’t affect our civil claim. | 嗯 这不影响我们的民事诉讼 |
[02:17] | There’s a different standard of proof. | 证据的标准不一样 |
[02:30] | Danny, what’s going on? | Danny 他怎么了 |
[02:32] | Trial is not going well. | 审判进展不顺利 |
[02:35] | I thought the guy confessed. | 不是说被告认罪了吗 |
[02:37] | Only to his priest. | 只是向他的牧师认罪而已 |
[02:38] | And now they’ve got all these psychiatric experts | 现在他们找了一堆精神科专家来作证 |
[02:40] | saying that he was temporarily insane. | 说他是暂时性精神失常 |
[02:43] | I think it’s working. | 我觉得这一招管用 |
[02:50] | -Have you read him his rights? -Yeah, twice. | -向他宣读过权利了吗 -读了两遍了 |
[02:52] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[02:54] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[02:57] | Right inside, inside. | 上车 上车 |
[02:59] | Let’s go. | 快走 |
[03:06] | Mr. Holsten? | Holsten先生 |
[03:07] | It was entrapment. | 这是”钓鱼执法” |
[03:09] | Did the police handcuff you to him, | 是警察把你们拷在一起的吗 |
[03:10] | or was this some kind of little thing? | 把你跟这个小家伙拷在一起? |
[03:12] | No! She did. | 不是 是她拷的 |
[03:13] | I don’t know who this person is. | 我根本不认识这个人 |
[03:15] | Is that true, sir? | 是这样吗 先生 |
[03:17] | I ain’t saying nothing | 在我的律师赶到之前 |
[03:18] | until my attorney gets here. | 我什么都不会说的 |
[03:20] | It was entrapment. | 这是”钓鱼执法” |
[03:22] | Man can’t walk down the street these days | 人们在街上走走而已 |
[03:24] | without getting handcuffed to a dwarf. | 怎么就跟侏儒拷在一起了呢 |
[04:13] | How can it be working? | 这样的辩护理由怎么能成立 |
[04:15] | You’re a defense lawyer, you tell me. | 你自己是刑事辩护律师 你说呢 |
[04:16] | He strangled her for a full 7 minutes Pam, | 他勒了她足足7分钟 Pam |
[04:19] | how is that temporary insanity? | 这怎么能说是暂时精神失常 |
[04:20] | Bobby, you got the civil claim, | Bobby 你代理民事索赔 |
[04:22] | leave the criminal prosecution to me, okay? | 刑事检控是我的事 好吗 |
[04:24] | Mrs. Braun. Hello. | Braun太太 你好 |
[04:26] | Hello. | 你好 |
[04:26] | Hi. Bobby. | 你好 Bobby |
[04:27] | Hi, Roberta. | 你好 Roberta |
[04:29] | I just saw your husband at the cemetery. | 我刚刚在墓地见过你丈夫 |
[04:31] | Oh yeah, his home away from home. | 是啊 他把那里当成第二个家了 |
[04:34] | How you doing? | 你怎么样 |
[04:36] | I’ll be happy when today’s testimony is over with. | 等今天的作证结束 可能就好了 |
[04:39] | Miss Lloyd tells me | Boyd小姐跟我说 |
[04:40] | the defense attorney will probably be aggressive. | 辩方律师可能会咄咄逼人 |
[04:45] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[04:47] | Do you know the lawyer? | 你认识辩方律师吗 |
[04:48] | Leonard Goode? | 他叫Leonard Gould |
[04:49] | Oh yeah. | 认识 |
[04:52] | She was frightened by him. | 我女儿非常怕他 |
[04:53] | Frightened. How so ma’am? | 怕他 为什么 夫人 |
[04:55] | He said to her, you will not leave me, | 他对她说 “你不准离开我” |
[04:58] | in a tone… | 他的语气… |
[04:59] | Objection, hearsay. | 反对 传闻证据 |
[05:01] | Excited utterances, doesn’t go to the truth of the words, | 冲动言论 不涉及内容的真实性 |
[05:03] | -only what she heard -She is testifying as to | -只是她所听到的… -她现在所说的 |
[05:04] | what was told to somebody else! | 是其他人听到的内容 |
[05:05] | The objection is overruled! | 反对无效 |
[05:08] | Continue, Mrs. Braun. | 接着说 Braun太太 |
[05:10] | My daughter was afraid when she broke up with him | 我女儿跟他分手的时候 |
[05:14] | that he might try to kill her. | 很担心他会杀害自己 |
[05:17] | You didn’t really think that | 你并不认为我的当事人 |
[05:18] | Donna was in any physical danger from my client, did you? | 真的对Donna的人身安全构成威胁 对不对 |
[05:21] | I know she thought she was. | 我知道她是这么想的 |
[05:23] | Yes, but if you thought that | 是啊 但是如果你觉得 |
[05:24] | she was in physical danger, | 她的人身安全受到威胁 |
[05:26] | why didn’t you call the police? | 你为什么没有报警呢 |
[05:28] | And tell them what? | 以什么理由 |
[05:29] | My daughter has a crazy boyfriend? | 说我女儿有个疯子男友? |
[05:31] | What could they really do? | 他们能怎么办 |
[05:32] | Well, did you see what they could do? | 你有没有问问他们能怎么办 |
[05:35] | Did you call them up and ask? | 你有没有打个电话 问一下 |
[05:37] | No. | 没有 |
[05:38] | You’d think a concerned mother would bother. | 对此感到担心的母亲会这样做 |
[05:41] | You seem a concerned mother. | 你说你为此感到担心 |
[05:43] | But isn’t it true that you weren’t concerned? | 但实际上你根本不担心 是吗 |
[05:45] | That is not true. | 不是的 |
[05:46] | Then why didn’t you notify the police? | 那你为什么没有报警呢 |
[05:49] | My daughter was a grown woman | 我女儿已经是成年人了 |
[05:53] | and I respected her wishes that I stayed out of it. | 我尊重她的意愿 不插手她的私事 |
[05:57] | Mrs. Braun, you’re up here basically to undercut the idea | Braun太太 你今天作证的目的 |
[06:01] | that Ronald Martin was temporarily insane. | 是要否认Ronald Martin暂时性精神失常 |
[06:04] | Because as the victim’s mother, | 因为作为受害者的母亲 |
[06:07] | -you want to see him punished. Don’t you? -Objection! | -你希望他受到惩罚 对不对 -反对 |
[06:08] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[06:10] | Let’s be honest, | 诚实地说吧 |
[06:12] | you want him punished, don’t you? | 你希望他受到惩罚 是不是 |
[06:13] | He’s a murderer and he should be punished. | 他是个杀人犯 他理应受到惩罚 |
[06:19] | And you’re up here doing your part, aren’t you? | 这就是你来作证的目的 不是吗 |
[06:21] | Objection! | 反对 |
[06:22] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[06:24] | Okay, well, let me just see if I can get this clear. | 好吧 看我理解清楚没有 |
[06:27] | You were afraid that Mr. Martin might kill your daughter. | 你担心Martin先生可能会杀害你女儿 |
[06:31] | But you stayed silent on the whole matter | 但是出于对你女儿隐私的尊重 |
[06:34] | out of respect for her privacy. | 你一直保持沉默 |
[06:40] | I thought she was attracted to me. | 我以为她看上我了 |
[06:42] | I saw what she was wearing. | 我看到她的穿着打扮了 |
[06:43] | You had to know she was a prostitute. | 你不可能不知道他是妓女 |
[06:45] | Hey I didn’t agree to pay her. | 嘿 我又没同意付钱给她 |
[06:47] | And the dwarf came out of nowhere. | 那个侏儒不知道从哪里冒出来的 |
[06:50] | Look, I can argue that. | 我可以这么辩护 |
[06:52] | But you’re a repeated sex offender. | 但是鉴于你以往的多次性犯罪前科 |
[06:53] | I wouldn’t pretend to be optimistic. | 我得说情况并不乐观 |
[06:55] | I want my day in court. | 我要上庭 |
[07:01] | Mr. Holsten, I thought we had an understanding. | Holsten先生 我以为我们已经说清楚了 |
[07:04] | You were going to try to get some help. | 你答应去寻求治疗 |
[07:06] | I will. | 我会去的 |
[07:07] | But first, I want my day in court. | 但是首先 我要上庭 |
[07:13] | It’s called discovery, counsel. | 这叫”证据开示” 律师 |
[07:15] | It’s called abuse of process. | 这叫”滥用程序” |
[07:16] | This is the third deposition. | 这已经是第三次证言笔录了 |
[07:19] | He is the plaintiff. | 他是原告 |
[07:20] | Are you suggesting that the defendant | 你的意思是说 |
[07:21] | not be allowed to depose the person suing him? | 被告不能质询起诉他的原告吗 |
[07:23] | Of course they can. | 当然能 |
[07:24] | But there’s a difference between deposing a witness and… | 但是质询证人不同于… |
[07:26] | Your motion is denied. | 驳回你的动议 |
[07:27] | Mr. Pierson, you may resume the deposition. | Pearson先生 你可以恢复证言笔录 |
[07:31] | You’ll pay the court costs for this hearing | 这次听证的法庭支出由你承担 |
[07:32] | and I’m fining you $500 to boot. | 此外再判罚你500元 |
[07:35] | What? | 什么 |
[07:36] | My docket is clogged with 2 zillion cases | 我手上积压着数不清的案子 |
[07:38] | because lawyers like you come in here | 就是因为你这种律师 |
[07:39] | wanting to argue everything. | 什么都要跑来争辩 |
[07:41] | And what else? | 还有其他问题吗 |
[07:45] | I’d also be seeking to continue | 关于简易判决的口头辩论 |
[07:48] | -oral arguments on summary judgment. -No, | -我申请进行延期 -不行 |
[07:50] | no, no, no, no, no. Delay, delay, delay, delay. | 不行 不行 不行 不行 |
[07:54] | He filed a two hundred and twenty three page memorandum. | 他提交了一份223页的文件 |
[07:57] | Then why are you here when you could be reading it? | 那你怎么还不去看 却跑到这里来 |
[07:59] | Two hundred dollars fine for that. | 再罚你200元 |
[07:59] | You can’t fine me for asking for a continuance. | 你不能因为我申请延期就罚我 |
[08:01] | I just did. | 我就是罚了 |
[08:03] | 50 bucks for saying I can’t. | 因为你的质疑 我再罚你50 |
[08:05] | Don’t you look at me like that. | 不要用那种眼神看我 |
[08:09] | Mr. Pierson, | Pearson先生 |
[08:10] | as an officer of this court, I apologize for this. | 作为本庭的法官 我为此向你道歉 |
[08:13] | Thank you, your honor. | 谢谢 法官阁下 |
[08:16] | -Actually apologize to him. -Bobby | -居然真的向他道歉 -Bobby |
[08:19] | He was sucking up to him. | 他是在巴结他 |
[08:21] | The judge was in awe of Pierson. | 法官对Pierson毕恭毕敬 |
[08:22] | He probably wants a job | 他或许是想在被解职之后 |
[08:23] | after he’s thrown off the bench. | 到他那里去工作 |
[08:24] | -He was kissing the guys ass. -Excuse me. | -简直是在拍他的马屁 -不好意思 |
[08:28] | Is this a bad time? | 我是不是来的不是时候 |
[08:31] | I was wondering if we could | 我想能不能把明天的证言笔录 |
[08:33] | push tomorrow’s deposition from 2:30 to 2:45. | 从2:30推迟到2:45 |
[08:36] | I’ve got a luncheon seminar that could run over. | 我明天有一场午餐研讨会 可能赶不及 |
[08:40] | 2:45… 2:45 will be… | |
[08:45] | fine. | 可以 |
[08:59] | This is beneath you. | 这不适合你 |
[09:06] | He’s due back any second. | 他马上就回来 |
[09:07] | Are you sure you don’t want coffee? | 你要不要喝点咖啡 |
[09:08] | I think I’m gonna just leave. | 我还是先回去吧 |
[09:10] | Uh no, no, no, Mr. Ray, | 别走 别走 Ray先生 |
[09:11] | they’ll be back. | 他们马上就回来了 |
[09:12] | Do ya see? | 看 没骗你吧 |
[09:15] | Hold it, hold it, hold it. | 慢点 慢点 慢点 |
[09:16] | One at a time. Hey! | 一个一个地说 |
[09:20] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[09:21] | My problem is your problem. | 我的麻烦就是你的麻烦 |
[09:22] | I should get to go first. | 你得让我先说 |
[09:24] | What’s the problem? | 出什么事了 |
[09:26] | People at the bank are asking questions | 关于我们提供给你的贷款 |
[09:28] | about the loan we extended to you. | 银行的人问了我一些问题 |
[09:31] | What people? | 什么人 |
[09:32] | Superiors. Worst kind. | 上级部门 情况很不妙 |
[09:35] | They want to know why paper work isn’t done yet. | 他们在问为什么相关的文件还没有完成 |
[09:37] | This I can handle. | 这我倒是能对付 |
[09:38] | But they’re also asking about this office expansion, | 不过他们还问了办公室扩建的事 |
[09:41] | which we said that the loan was for, | 也就是我们所谓的贷款用途 |
[09:43] | which it ain’t | 但其实不可能 |
[09:44] | since you got no place to expand | 因为你们隔壁的的房子已经被租了 |
[09:45] | since the place next to you is taken. | 你们已经没有地方可以扩建 |
[09:47] | Your forehead’s sweating Jimmy. | 你脑门在冒汗 Jimmy |
[09:50] | I don’t like it when your forehead sweats. | 我不喜欢看到你脑门冒汗 |
[09:52] | A guy named Jonathon Kramer | 有个叫Jonathon Kramer的 |
[09:53] | called here yesterday. | 昨天给你们打过电话 |
[09:54] | Said he got mixed signals. | 说他了解到的信息自相矛盾 |
[09:56] | He’s gonna be asking you some things. | 他说要找你了解些情况 |
[09:58] | What things? | 什么情况 |
[09:59] | Things like did you represent to me | 比如说你是否告诉过我 |
[10:01] | that your office was expanding, | 你们的办公室要扩建 |
[10:03] | did you show me blueprints and stuff. | 有没有向我出示过蓝图之类的东西 |
[10:05] | Those kinds of questions. | 诸如此类的问题 |
[10:06] | If I answer yes to those questions, Jimmy, | 如果我回答”是”的话 Jimmy |
[10:09] | the next arraignment I go to will be my own. | 接下来我就要为自己的聆讯做辩护了 |
[10:12] | This is probably what accounts for | 你看到我脑门冒汗 |
[10:14] | the sweat you see on my forehead. | 或许就是这个原因 |
[10:16] | See, if you didn’t make those representations, | 要是你没有向我出示过那些东西 |
[10:19] | unemployment in the commonwealth goes up a blip. | 我就要为美国的失业率做一点点贡献了 |
[10:24] | This is why I’m thinking we’ve got a problem. | 所以我说 我们这下麻烦了 |
[10:29] | -Got one. -What? | -成了 -什么 |
[10:30] | Podiatrist, fortyish, loves movies and Mane. | 足科医生 四十出头 爱好电影和骑马 |
[10:33] | Spoke to him for an hour on the phone last night. | 昨晚跟他煲了一个小时电话粥 |
[10:36] | You gonna go out? | 你要出去约会 |
[10:38] | I’m going to keep it audio for a while. | 我想再电话交流一段时间 |
[10:39] | Oh excuse me. Hi, Danny? | 哦 不好意思 嗨 Danny |
[10:42] | Rebecca, in my office, please. | Rebecca 到我办公室来 |
[10:43] | What’s with the tone? | 他这算什么语气 |
[10:45] | In my office! | 过来 |
[10:48] | What? | 什么事 |
[10:49] | Somebody from Boston Fidelity called | 昨天是不是有Boston Fidelity的人打电话来 |
[10:51] | enquiring about our office expansion? | 问我们办公室扩建的事 |
[10:53] | Yeah, yesterday. | 是啊 昨天 |
[10:54] | And you informed them that this office was not expanding? | 你告诉他们说我们的办公室不扩建 |
[10:58] | Well, we’re not, are we? | 我们是不扩建啊 不是吗 |
[11:00] | It is not your place to disseminate any information | 你没有资格对外提供 |
[11:03] | with respect to this law practice. | 与我们事务所有关的任何信息 |
[11:04] | you take messages, you don’t give them. | 你只负责接收信息 不得对外提供 |
[11:06] | You got that? | 明白吗 |
[11:09] | You got that Rebecca? | 你明白了吗 Rebecca |
[11:11] | I got it. | 明白 |
[11:13] | How much of this bank loan do we have left? | 这笔贷款我们还剩下多少 |
[11:15] | None. | 没有了 |
[11:17] | Okay. | 好 |
[11:18] | Is that all? | 还有其他事吗 |
[11:19] | Yeah that’s all. | 没有了 |
[11:25] | Ok, there’s a grenade I gotta go fall on. | 好了 前面有个地雷等着我去踩 |
[11:28] | What are you going to say? | 你准备怎么跟他们说 |
[11:32] | The truth. | 实话实说 |
[11:34] | Buddy comes in strapped. | 朋友有难 |
[11:35] | I invented a way to get him some help. | 我想设法帮点忙 |
[11:37] | What about falsifying loan documents, Jimmy? | 那伪造贷款文件怎么办 Jimmy |
[11:39] | Nothings signed yet. | 我们什么都还没签呢 |
[11:40] | That doesn’t necessarily matter. | 签没签恐怕都一样 |
[11:44] | They’ll just fire me. | 他们只会解雇我 |
[11:45] | They won’t be pressing charges. | 不会提起检控的 |
[11:53] | He came into the confessional. | 他来到告解室 |
[11:55] | He was obviously in a state of shock. | 他很明显地处于一种震动状态 |
[11:57] | Objection. | 反对 |
[11:58] | I’ll allow it. | 反对无效 |
[12:00] | What did Mr. Martin say, Father? | Martin先生说了些什么 神父 |
[12:04] | He said he couldn’t be sure | 他说他并不确定 |
[12:05] | but he thought that he had just strangled his girlfriend. | 但是他觉得自己刚刚勒死了自己的女朋友 |
[12:10] | I see. He wasn’t sure? | 他并不确定? |
[12:14] | He said he could see the image of it. | 他说能在眼前看到这个场景 |
[12:17] | He couldn’t remember if it was something | 但是他并不记得 |
[12:20] | that had actually happened, | 是否真实发生过这件事 |
[12:21] | but he felt that it did happen. | 但是他觉得是发生过 |
[12:26] | And how did you respond to that, Father? | 那你接下来怎么办的呢 神父 |
[12:28] | I told him he should go to the police, he had to. | 我告诉他应该去警察局自首 他必须去 |
[12:32] | And he agreed. | 他同意了 |
[12:33] | And did he say anything else? | 他还说了其他什么没有 |
[12:36] | Yes. He begged me for forgiveness | 有 他祈求我的原谅 |
[12:40] | for absolution. | 祈求宽恕 |
[12:41] | And did you grant it to him? | 你宽恕他了吗 |
[12:42] | Yes. I did. | 是的 |
[12:46] | Sit down Dr Braun. | 坐下 Braun医生 |
[12:49] | Dr Braun, please be seated. | Braun医生 请坐下 |
[12:54] | Sit down, sir, or I’ll remove you from this room. | 坐下 先生 否则我将把你逐出法庭 |
[13:12] | He wants to go to trial. We’re going this afternoon. | 他想上庭 我们今天下午就上庭 |
[13:15] | Just like that? | 这么仓促 |
[13:16] | Well, it’s muni. | 简易程序 |
[13:17] | Judge bounced us to a six-man jury. | 法官安排了六人的陪审团 |
[13:19] | There’s no discovery. | 没有证据开示 |
[13:20] | Might as well try today before he unzips his pants | 最好今天就审理 不然他又要脱下裤子 |
[13:22] | and extends his criminal record. | 再增加一项犯罪前科 |
[13:24] | And the defense is he was with the prostitute because… | 你怎么辩护 他跟小姐在一起是因为… |
[13:28] | He loved her. | 他爱上她了 |
[13:29] | Oh yeah, right…mm hmm. | 哦 是啊 没错…嗯 |
[13:32] | Any suggestions? | 有什么建议吗 |
[13:34] | United States of America. | 美国精神 |
[13:36] | You think? | 能行吗 |
[13:37] | What else have you got? | 你还有其它办法吗 |
[13:40] | Yeah | 对啊 |
[13:42] | United States of America. | 美国精神 |
[13:45] | You think I should go hard? | 你觉得我该强硬点吗 |
[13:46] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[13:47] | Tough to look sympathetic cross-examining a priest. | 质询牧师本身就很难讨人喜欢 |
[13:49] | Yeah well, that priest was pretty effective. | 是啊 这个牧师给他们帮了大忙 |
[13:52] | You heard him. | 你听到了的 |
[13:54] | Listen Pam, if you go at him, don’t go half way. | Pam 如果你想扳倒他 别半途而废 |
[13:56] | You got to get him. | 一定要问死他 |
[13:58] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[14:01] | So, Father, as I understand it, | 那么 神父 按我的理解 |
[14:05] | this man commits a murder, | 被告犯下了谋杀罪 |
[14:07] | then he proceeds to your confessional | 然后他来到你的告解室 |
[14:10] | where you proceed to offer him absolution. | 然后你宽恕了他 |
[14:14] | Is that correct? | 是这么样吗 |
[14:16] | It’s not quite that simple. | 不是那么简单 |
[14:19] | That’s the way it seems. | 看起来就是这样 |
[14:20] | It also seems strange that | 同样奇怪的是 |
[14:22] | you come to this court everyday | 你每天都到法庭来 |
[14:23] | and sit behind him in apparent support. | 坐在被告身后 明显是来支持他 |
[14:25] | Well, I suppose it’s easy to love a Mother Theresa, | 我知道爱特蕾莎修女是很容易 |
[14:28] | but I believe God teaches us to love all people. | 但是我相信上帝指引我们要爱所有的人 |
[14:32] | Yes, that’s sweet. | 哇 真让人感动 |
[14:34] | Objection, she’s mocking the witness, your honor. | 反对 她在嘲笑证人 法官阁下 |
[14:36] | Mocking him? | 嘲笑他? |
[14:36] | He comes to a murder trial | 他来参加谋杀案的庭审 |
[14:38] | and compares the killer to mother Theresa! | 把杀人凶手比作特蕾莎修女 |
[14:39] | -Why would I mock that? -Come on. Move to strike. | -我有必要嘲笑吗 -请求不予记录 |
[14:41] | Let’s get on with it. | 继续质证吧 |
[14:44] | Exactly how long did it take you | 准确地说 你花了多少时间 |
[14:45] | to forgive Ronald Martin | 来决定宽恕Ronald Martin |
[14:47] | for strangling Donna Braun? | 勒死Donna Braun的罪行 |
[14:48] | More than a minute? | 有没有一分钟 |
[14:49] | Objection! | 反对 |
[14:50] | This man is basically here as a character witness… | 这位先生实际上是作为品格证人… |
[14:52] | He’s testifying as to fact not character. | 他是就事实问题作证 不是品格 |
[14:54] | -May I finish? -No! | -能让我讲完吗 -不行 |
[14:55] | Both of you kindly step up to the bench. | 你们两位 都上来 |
[15:05] | Once a month or so I go into a depression. | 我差不多每隔一个月就要陷入抑郁 |
[15:08] | I think it’s probably because | 我以为这或许是因为 |
[15:09] | I come to a place of work every day | 我每天工作的地方 |
[15:10] | populated by rapists, murderers, child-molesters. | 充斥着强奸犯 杀人犯 恋童癖 |
[15:14] | But that’s not the reason. | 但其实不是这个原因 |
[15:16] | It’s because of the daily sewerage I have to swab | 是因为我每天看到的肮脏污秽 |
[15:18] | listening to what comes out of the mouths | 听着我们称之为律师的 |
[15:20] | of the malignant, cancerous, infected little cysts | 这些恶毒的 有害的 污烂的毒瘤们 |
[15:23] | we call lawyers. | 嘴里吐出来的废话 |
[15:24] | You, don’t make me state my opinion of what you are, | 你 别逼我表明对你的看法 |
[15:27] | it would be grounds for mistrial. | 那足以导致无效审判 |
[15:30] | And you, stop sinking to his level. | 你 别把自己降低到跟他一样的水准 |
[15:34] | We’re going to take a break, | 现在我们暂时休庭 |
[15:35] | so you little children can reflect, okay? | 好让你们俩反省一下 听见了吗 |
[15:39] | Now step back. | 下去吧 |
[15:44] | 20 minute recess. | 休庭20分钟 |
[15:46] | I see attorney Bobby Donnell is in the back of the room. | 我看到Bobby Donnell律师在法庭后排 |
[15:49] | I’ll see you in chambers please. | 请到我办公室来一下 |
[15:54] | Bobby, I assume you know what we think of attorneys | Bobby 对于律师介入谋杀案的刑事审判 |
[15:57] | who promote criminal murder trials | 以谋求有利于”不当死亡”的民事索赔 |
[15:59] | to advance their civil wrongful death claims. | 我相信你知道会有什么后果 |
[16:01] | I’m not doing that. | 我没有介入 |
[16:02] | There’s nothing wrong with me | 我只是旁听刑事审判 |
[16:04] | monitoring a criminal trial. In fact… | 这没什么不妥 事实上… |
[16:06] | I’ve been told you’ve got investigators out | 我听说你派了调查人员 |
[16:07] | looking for some of the defendant’s ex-girlfriends. | 在寻找被告的几个前女友 |
[16:09] | One, who he supposedly beat up. | 就一个 可能被他暴力殴打过 |
[16:12] | Look, it would be malpractice | 如果我不尝试去找到她 |
[16:14] | if I didn’t try to find her. | 对我来说是严重失职 |
[16:16] | Well you’d better be careful on any search and seizure, | 你最好别参与任何调查和扣押 |
[16:18] | because I might just find your conduct to be state action. | 否则我可能会认定你代表政府行为 |
[16:20] | I’m not working with the DA. | 我没有帮检察官做事 |
[16:22] | It doesn’t look good. | 看起来可不是这样 |
[16:24] | Well I don’t care how it looks. | 我不管看起来怎么样 |
[16:27] | And for your information this is not just about money. | 告诉你 这也不全是因为钱 |
[16:31] | If that guy gets acquitted here, | 如果那家伙被判无罪 |
[16:32] | I’ll be using the civil trial to nail him. | 我会用民事诉讼钉死他 |
[16:35] | Mostly so Donna Braun’s parents can get some peace | 让Donna Braun的父母得到一丝安慰 |
[16:38] | that at least one jury found him to be a murderer. | 至少有一个陪审团认定他是谋杀犯 |
[16:40] | What you do in your civil case isn’t my concern. | 你的民事诉讼不关我的事 |
[16:43] | But keep your nose out of the criminal prosecution. | 但是离刑事审判远一点 |
[16:46] | That’s my only warning. | 这是我唯一的警告 |
[16:51] | Your wife’s doctor told her cigarettes were hazardous? | 你妻子的医生告诉她说吸烟会有危险 |
[16:54] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:55] | Did he tell her | 他有没有告诉她 |
[16:56] | they could cause cancer and vascular disease? | 吸烟可能导致癌症和血管疾病 |
[16:59] | Objection. You can answer. | 反对 你可以回答 |
[17:01] | Yes. | 有 |
[17:03] | Mm. Did you tell her | 嗯 你有没有告诉她 |
[17:04] | that cigarette smoking could kill her? | 吸烟可能要了她的命 |
[17:06] | Many times. | 说过很多次 |
[17:07] | In fact you begged her to quit, didn’t you? | 事实上 你曾恳求她把烟戒掉 对吧 |
[17:10] | And she did. Many times. | 她确实戒过 戒过很多次 |
[17:12] | But she’d start up again. | 但她总是再次开始吸烟 |
[17:14] | She was addicted. | 她上瘾了 |
[17:16] | Right. | 没错 |
[17:19] | Ah, let the record reflect Attorney Donnell has just entered. | 啊哈 请记录在案 Donnell律师刚刚进来 |
[17:24] | Why has this proceeding started without me? | 为什么不等我来就开始了 |
[17:26] | We didn’t want to make your client wait. | 我们不想让你的当事人久等 |
[17:28] | And, uh, Ms. Dole offered no objections. | 而且 Dole小姐也没有表示反对 |
[17:31] | She should have. | 她应该反对的 |
[17:34] | For the record, bad form Pierson. | 老实说 这很卑鄙 Pearson |
[17:36] | Consider me chagrined. | 我很惭愧 |
[17:41] | Would you like to sit? | 你想不想坐下? |
[17:49] | You’re letting him push you around. | 你让他牵着鼻子走 |
[17:50] | I’m not! | 我没有 |
[17:51] | There was no excuse for allowing | 你没有任何理由 |
[17:52] | that deposition to begin without me. | 不等我到场就开始证据笔录 |
[17:54] | I didn’t know how late you were going to be. | 我不知道你会迟到多久 |
[17:55] | Then you postpone it. | 那你就推迟就是了 |
[17:56] | What with the stenographer and everybody there? | 速记员 还有那么多人都在等着呢 |
[17:58] | What? Lindsay, you don’t want to inconvenience your mentor? | 怎么 Lindsay 你怕给导师添麻烦 |
[18:00] | It wasn’t that. | 不是这样的 |
[18:00] | It was that. | 就是这样 |
[18:01] | I see you. You’re looking for his approval. | 我看到了 你在寻求他的认可 |
[18:05] | You’ve got this brilliant legal mind, | 你在专业方面有了不起的天分 |
[18:07] | but if you don’t turn into a fighter, | 但是如果你不够强硬 |
[18:08] | you are going to be a doormat in this town. | 你就只是个人见人欺的角色 |
[18:11] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:16] | Now this summary judgment hearing, | 这次的简易判决听证 |
[18:17] | are you up to going against Pierson or not? | 你有信心跟Pearson打对手吗 |
[18:20] | I’m up to it. | 我有信心 |
[18:23] | I am! | 我可以 |
[18:24] | I know you are. | 我知道你可以 |
[18:27] | I just wanna be sure that you know it. | 我只是要确信你意识到自己能胜任 |
[18:32] | I was walking down the street, minding my own business | 我当时走在街上 想着自己的事儿 |
[18:35] | and I saw her. | 然后就看到她了 |
[18:37] | Her being? | “她”指的是 |
[18:38] | Sheila Sheila | |
[18:39] | And what happened next, sir? | 那么接下来发生了什么事 先生 |
[18:41] | Well, our eyes locked briefly | 我们的眼神短暂地凝视 |
[18:44] | and I came to the conclusion that the attraction was…uh.. | 然后我意识到我们…呃… |
[18:47] | mutual. | 互相爱慕 |
[18:48] | And what happened next, sir? | 然后发生了什么事 先生 |
[18:52] | I exposed myself. | 我袒露了我的”小弟弟” |
[18:54] | You exposed yourself, sir? | 你袒露”小弟弟” 先生 |
[18:56] | That is as close as I usually get to | 这是我通常接近 |
[18:59] | a beautiful woman, your honor. | 漂亮女性的方式 法官阁下 |
[19:01] | I’m not a handsome man in the bright sunlight. | 我又不是什么帅哥 |
[19:04] | And what happened next, Mr. Holsten? | 接下来发生了什么事 Holsten先生 |
[19:07] | She took my hand and led me upstairs to her apartment. | 她拉起我的手 带我上楼去她的房间 |
[19:11] | A strange woman grabbed you by the hand | 一个陌生女人抓着你的手 |
[19:13] | and led you to her place? | 带你去她的住处? |
[19:14] | Yes, your honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[19:15] | What were you thinking? | 你当时怎么想的 |
[19:17] | Only that I should follow. | 我只想到 我该跟她走 |
[19:19] | And you did not know that she was a prostitute? | 你并不知道她是妓女? |
[19:22] | No. | 不知道 |
[19:23] | Next thing I know, police are charging in, | 接下来的事情 我只记得警察冲进来 |
[19:27] | and I’m chained to a dwarf smoking a Camel. | 我被跟一个抽着骆驼烟的侏儒拷在一起 |
[19:31] | Your witness. | 到你了 |
[19:34] | This woman stated | 据这名女子陈述 |
[19:35] | that before she grabbed your hand she said to you, 300, | 她在抓住你的手之前对你说 300 |
[19:40] | at which point you nodded. | 这时候你点了头 |
[19:42] | I thought she was guessing my weight. | 我以为她在猜我的体重 |
[19:49] | He never said anything about office expansion. | 他从来没有提过扩建办公室 |
[19:52] | That was my mistake. | 是我搞错了 |
[19:54] | And how do you make such a mistake Jimmy? | 你怎么会犯这样的错误 Jimmy |
[19:56] | Because office expansion was something | 因为扩建办公室的事 |
[19:57] | he’d approached me about before. | 他以前跟我说起过 |
[19:59] | I…I…even got the plans. | 我…我还拿到了方案 |
[20:01] | I mistakenly assumed that this loan was about that. | 我想当然地以为这次的贷款与此有关 |
[20:05] | So you expedited a 70 thousand dollar loan | 你是说你连贷款用途问都没问 |
[20:08] | without even asking the question what it was for? | 就放了7万的贷款 |
[20:09] | You just assumed and wrote the check? | 你想当然地就把款放出去了? |
[20:14] | You want it off the record, John? | 咱俩之间私底下说吧 John |
[20:15] | Nothing is off the record. | 没有什么私底下说的 |
[20:20] | Bobby’s one of my best friends. | Bobby是我最好的朋友之一 |
[20:21] | He’s having a bad month. I helped him. | 他这段时间手头很紧 我帮了他一把 |
[20:25] | I made the loan under office expansion | 我把贷款用途做成扩建办公室 |
[20:27] | because I couldn’t figure any other way | 因为我想不到有其他办法 |
[20:30] | without you asking questions. | 可以瞒过你 |
[20:32] | And your friend played along? | 这事你的朋友也有份吗 |
[20:33] | He just took the loan. | 他只是拿了贷款 |
[20:35] | He didn’t know how I was swinging it. | 他不知道我是怎么操作的 |
[20:37] | You’re a sweet man, Jimmy. | 你可真是个好人 Jimmy |
[20:40] | Stupid, but sweet. | 愚蠢 但是个好人 |
[20:45] | So…how’s it gonna be? | 那么…要怎么处理 |
[20:47] | Pack up your office, you’re fired. | 去收拾你的办公室 你被解雇了 |
[20:49] | If you and Mr. Donnell return the 70 thousand within 30 days, | 如果你跟Donnell先生在30天内归还7万 |
[20:53] | that will be the end of it. | 这事就这样算了 |
[20:53] | If you don’t, I refer the matter to the District Attorney. | 否则的话 我只好去找地区检察官了 |
[21:01] | Mr. Martin had entered into what we call | Martin先生处于我们称之为 |
[21:03] | a dissociative state. | “分裂状态”的境地 |
[21:05] | I see. | 明白 |
[21:06] | And could you describe what that means | 你能不能向陪审团解释一下 |
[21:08] | to the jury, Doctor? | 这是什么意思 医生 |
[21:10] | Essentially it’s a psychological splitting mechanism, | 本质上 这是一种精神分裂的机制 |
[21:13] | causing segregation of normal | 导致正常的完整的认知模式 |
[21:15] | integrated patterns of perception | 出现分化现象 |
[21:17] | Uh doctor, | 呃 医生 |
[21:18] | I’m sure you feel you’ve just explained it, | 我知道你以为自己已经解释清楚了 |
[21:20] | but… | 但是… |
[21:23] | Basically, when the victim broke off the relationship, | 基本上 当受害人决定分手时 |
[21:27] | Mr. Martin snapped. | Martin先生就崩溃了 |
[21:29] | He lost conscious control | 他丧失了控制力 |
[21:30] | and was pretty much on automatic pilot | 当他勒死她的时候 |
[21:32] | when he strangled her. | 基本上是处于无意识状态 |
[21:34] | So, he didn’t know what he was doing? | 他不知道自己在做什么? |
[21:36] | In my opinion he did not. | 在我看来是这样的 |
[21:40] | Look at him strut. | 看他那得意的嘴脸 |
[21:42] | The joy of doing your job well. | 干得可真不赖 |
[21:45] | Get on the elevator, Gerald. | 快进电梯吧 Gerold |
[21:46] | No, no, no, I want to watch him. | 不 不 不 我要看他表演 |
[21:47] | Roberta is waiting for you at home. Get on. | Roberta还在家里等你呢 走吧 |
[21:58] | Dr. Braun, I am both mindful of your presence | Braun医生 我看到你每天都到法庭来 |
[22:01] | in the courtroom every day and of your loss. | 我为你的遭遇感到难过 |
[22:04] | I hope you realize | 我希望你能理解 |
[22:05] | that what I do in there shouldn’t be interpreted | 我在法庭上所做的一切 |
[22:07] | as a failure on my part to feel your tragedy. | 并不意味着我对你的遭遇无动于衷 |
[22:10] | Why don’t you die? | 你怎么不去死 |
[22:16] | I’m sure your attorney can convey my conflict. | 我相信你的律师能够理解我的难处 |
[22:19] | He has certainly been in the similar position many, many times. | 他经常处于我这样的境地 |
[22:23] | Then he can die too. | 那他也可以去死了 |
[22:29] | Bec, will you call Warren Hillebrauner | Bec 给Warren Hillebrauner打个电话 |
[22:31] | and tell him that we want our motion to compel? | 告诉他我们要强制执行我们的动议 |
[22:33] | Sorry I don’t disseminate information. | 对不起 我不能对外提供信息 |
[22:41] | You got something to say to me? | 你有话要跟我说吗 |
[22:44] | You want me to say it here? | 要我在这里说吗 |
[22:48] | In my office. | 来我办公室吧 |
[22:58] | I don’t know what’s going on with this bank loan. | 我不知道这个银行贷款是怎么回事 |
[23:00] | I’d like to say I don’t care, but I do care, | 我想说我不关心 但其实我关心 |
[23:04] | because this place of business is | 因为这个事务所 |
[23:06] | where I come to work every day. | 是我每天工作的地方 |
[23:09] | And if you expect me to be a part of your schemes | 如果你指望我参与你的阴谋诡计 |
[23:12] | or lies or whatever it is you’re pulling, | 或谎言或其他什么把戏 |
[23:14] | then you’ve never bothered to know who I am. | 那说明你完全不了解我 |
[23:18] | I will never be a participant in that kind of crap. | 我永远都不会参与这种下三滥 |
[23:21] | That’s one. | 这是第一 |
[23:23] | Here’s two. | 第二 |
[23:25] | If you ever speak to me | 如果你再用那种不尊重 |
[23:27] | with that kind of disrespect, | 我的态度跟我说话 |
[23:29] | whether it be in front of somebody else | 不管是当着其他人的面 |
[23:31] | or just between us, | 还是只有我们俩 |
[23:32] | I walk out that door. | 我立马就走人 |
[23:35] | I apologize. I… | 我道歉 我… |
[23:39] | I was..I was out of line. | 我..我太过分了 |
[23:42] | You got that right. | 算你说对了 |
[23:45] | Bobby, you want to keep this place in operation, | Bobby 你想坚持让事务所运转下去 |
[23:48] | that’s fine. | 没有问题 |
[23:50] | But you’d better think real hard | 但是你真的需要认真思考一下 |
[23:53] | about exactly what it is you’re trying to keep going. | 你坚持的到底是什么 |
[24:11] | Summary judgment motions are brought up by the defense | 几乎在每一桩民事诉讼案中 |
[24:13] | in almost every civil action. | 被告方律师都会提起”简易判决”动议 |
[24:15] | It’s their shot at getting the case kicked on legal grounds. | 希望让法庭以法律理由将案件驳回 |
[24:19] | They almost never work. | 几乎从来不凑效 |
[24:20] | But you’re talking like you’re worried. | 但是你看起来好像很担心 |
[24:23] | Well, if we should lose, the case is over, finished. | 如果我们输了 整个案子就完了 |
[24:28] | And since this judge seems to be a little biased, | 而这个法官似乎有点偏向对方 |
[24:30] | I won’t lie, we’re a little worried. | 老实说 我们是有点担心 |
[24:34] | So, if we lose, we’re done. | 如果输了 我们就完了 |
[24:37] | What do we get out of it if we win? | 那如果赢了会怎样呢 |
[24:41] | Hopefully they’ll start taking us seriously. | 希望他们会开始重视这个案子 |
[24:44] | Right now they’re not? | 现在他们不重视吗 |
[24:46] | Not as much as we’d like them to. | 不像我们期待的那么重视 |
[24:51] | Go, get some rest. | 回去吧 好好休息 |
[24:56] | -Goodnight. -Goodnight. | -晚安 -晚安 |
[25:03] | Bobby, this judge, | Bobby 这个法官 |
[25:04] | it may not be Pierson he’s kissing up to, | 他可能不是在讨好Pearson |
[25:06] | but somebody in his firm. | 而是他们事务所的另一个人 |
[25:09] | what? | 什么 |
[25:10] | Sidney Sharples Sidney Sharples. | |
[25:11] | She was a year ahead of me in school. | 她比我高一届 |
[25:12] | She works at Finley. | 在Finley事务所工作 |
[25:13] | Before that she clerked for Small | 之前她给Small法官做过书记员 |
[25:15] | and supposedly something happened between them. | 据说 他们之间有暧昧关系 |
[25:18] | You’re just telling me this now? | 你到现在才告诉我? |
[25:21] | I just heard myself. | 我也是刚刚才知道 |
[25:23] | Chris Kelton, a DA, also in my class, | 我同学Chris Kelton 检察官 |
[25:25] | he told me. | 他告诉我的 |
[25:26] | Can we prove it? | 有证据吗 |
[25:27] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[25:28] | But even if we could, | 不过就算有 |
[25:29] | there’s nothing to suggest it’s a factor. | 也不能证明对本案的影响 |
[25:31] | It was more than two years ago. | 那是两年多以前的事 |
[25:32] | I don’t think Pierson even knows about it. | 我认为Pearson甚至根本不知道这回事 |
[25:33] | Still, if we can get that judge off this case. | 不管怎样 只要让那个法官回避这个案子 |
[25:37] | What are you thinking? | 你在想什么 |
[25:38] | I’m thinking that | 我在想 |
[25:39] | if that judge slept with a woman | 如果这个法官跟Pearson事务所的 |
[25:41] | at Pierson’s firm, | 女律师上过床 |
[25:41] | that is a card. | 这是我们的一张好牌 |
[25:44] | And it is not beneath me to play it. | 我们没道理不用它 |
[25:50] | I thought he was cute. | 我觉得他挺有魅力 |
[25:52] | Mr Holsten? | Holsten先生? |
[25:53] | Sure. | 当然 |
[25:54] | And when you invited him to your apartment, | 那么 你邀请他去你的房间 |
[25:57] | it was because… | 是因为… |
[25:58] | On this particular occasion, | 在当时的情景下 |
[26:00] | it was because I found him both attractive and nice. | 是因为我觉得他有魅力 人又好 |
[26:05] | And when you quoted him 300? | 那你跟他报300块是… |
[26:07] | It was before I decided | 那是在我意识到我确实喜欢他 |
[26:09] | I really liked him for free. | 决定不收钱之前 |
[26:11] | And the dwarf? | 那个侏儒呢 |
[26:13] | Just a friend. | 朋友罢了 |
[26:14] | And of course, since you yourself were charged, | 显然 既然你本人也被指控了 |
[26:17] | you would have an interest in | 否认你们是有偿性交易 |
[26:18] | denying this was sex for a fee, wouldn’t you? | 对你同样有利 不是吗 |
[26:20] | Hey, I took an oath to tell the truth here. | 嘿 我在这里宣誓要如实陈述的 |
[26:23] | When this man exposed himself to you on the street, | 当这个人在大街上向你暴露身体的时候 |
[26:27] | what exactly did that say about him to you? | 你觉得他是个什么样的人 |
[26:31] | Just that if I invited him to my room, | 只是觉得如果邀请他去我房间 |
[26:33] | he’d probably come. | 他可能会去 |
[26:36] | The idea of setting Ronald Martin free | 释放Ronald Martin的念头 |
[26:41] | has to seem horrific. | 听起来一定觉得荒谬 |
[26:44] | He took the life of an innocent woman. | 他杀害了一个无辜的女子 |
[26:47] | How can we excuse him? | 我们怎么可以放过他 |
[26:49] | How can we feel sorry for him? | 我们怎么能同情他 |
[26:51] | Well you can. | 我们可以 |
[26:53] | You can and you must, | 我们可以 而且必须这样做 |
[26:55] | because the law tells you to. | 因为这是法律的规定 |
[27:00] | We’ve heard from seven trained medical professionals. | 我们听了七位医学专家的证词 |
[27:03] | We’ve heard them testify that | 我们听他们作证说 |
[27:06] | Ronald Martin was ill when he committed this act, | Ronald Martin实施行为时处于发病状态 |
[27:10] | that he was temporarily insane. | 处于暂时性精神失常 |
[27:12] | And if he didn’t understand the nature | 既然他并不理解自己行为的性质 |
[27:15] | and the quality of this act, | 不理解自己行为的后果 |
[27:17] | then legally he’s not guilty. | 那么从法律上来说 他就是无罪的 |
[27:20] | That’s the law. | 这就是法律 |
[27:22] | Now, you may not like it, | 你或许不喜欢它 |
[27:23] | that’s okay, | 没有关系 |
[27:25] | but you have an obligation to uphold the law here. | 但是你们在这里有义务维护法律 |
[27:30] | And as you do, | 所以 |
[27:31] | As you go back to that room to deliberate, | 当你们回到陪审员室去审议案件的时候 |
[27:35] | remember that our system of juror’s prudence, | 记住在我们的制度设计中 |
[27:37] | more than anything else, is designed to protect the weak. | 陪审团的审慎是保护弱者的最重要一环 |
[27:42] | And you can hate him. | 你们可以厌恶他 |
[27:43] | You can hate him. | 可以厌恶他 |
[27:45] | That’s a human thing to do. | 这是人之常情 |
[27:49] | But sometimes the function of the jury | 但是有时候陪审团的职能 |
[27:51] | is to defend against human nature, | 就在于纠正人性 |
[27:53] | against lynch mob mentality. | 纠正私刑的暴徒心态 |
[27:55] | Because the law, | 因为法律 |
[27:58] | the law is here | 法律在这里 |
[27:59] | to defend the most vulnerable members of our society | 保护我们社会中最无助的成员 |
[28:02] | who have nowhere else | 而除了法庭之外 |
[28:03] | to be safeguarded, right here. | 他们再也得不到其它保护 |
[28:05] | Yeah lets all cry for Ronald Martin. | 我们都来为Ronald Martin痛哭吧 |
[28:08] | We need to feel sorry for these | 我们真该同情这些可怜的 |
[28:09] | poor misunderstood murderers. | 被误解的杀人犯 |
[28:10] | Dr. Braun. | Braun医生 |
[28:11] | What? He gets to sit in that room as the victim. | 怎么 他坐在那里 成了受害者 |
[28:13] | They’re looking at him as the casualty. | 他们把他当成受害者 |
[28:15] | I will get my turn. | 我还有结案陈词的机会 |
[28:16] | My daughter’s a piece of evidence now. | 我女儿现在只是一份证物 |
[28:18] | The Body. | 一具尸体 |
[28:21] | This is sick. | 我受不了 |
[28:23] | She’s not even a person anymore. | 她甚至都不再是个”人”了 |
[28:25] | She’s Exhibit A. | 她成了”证据A” |
[28:29] | You don’t even care. | 你丝毫也不在意 |
[28:33] | I’m deeply sympathetic to what you’re going through. | 我对你的遭遇深表同情 |
[28:38] | I know this is an emotional time. | 我知道你情绪很激动 |
[28:40] | But don’t you dare accuse me of not caring. | 但是你绝不应该指责我毫不在意 |
[28:44] | I give my closing tomorrow. | 我明天做结案陈词 |
[28:45] | I promise you, I’m ready. | 我保证 我准备好了 |
[29:00] | So what are you gonna do? | 你有什么打算呢 |
[29:02] | I’ll find something. | 我会再找份工作的 |
[29:03] | You know me. I always land on my feet. | 你知道 我总能化险为夷 |
[29:05] | Jimmy. What are you gonna do? | Jimmy 你有什么打算 |
[29:09] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[29:10] | You’ll come work with us. | 来我们事务所 |
[29:12] | What? | 什么 |
[29:13] | Our tobacco case is heating up | 我们的烟草公司案已经启动了 |
[29:15] | and we need all the hands we can get. | 我们需要尽可能多的人手 |
[29:16] | You can’t even afford to pay you, | 你自己都快养不活了 |
[29:18] | how do you pay me? | 拿什么发工资给我 |
[29:19] | I’ll work it out. | 我会想办法的 |
[29:20] | You need therapy, you know that? | 你该去看医生 知道吗 |
[29:22] | Look, just say yes or no. | 只要回答我来还是不来 |
[29:23] | You keep digging yourself deeper. | 你总把自己逼上绝路 |
[29:25] | You say you’ll work it out. | 你总说你会有办法的 |
[29:26] | This is gonna be on your tombstone, | 这会刻在你的墓碑上 |
[29:27] | “He tried to work it out”. | “他试图想出办法” |
[29:29] | Right now, we’re looking at your tombstone. | 现在 先想想你自己的墓碑吧 |
[29:31] | If you hang a shingle with me, | 如果你到我这里来 |
[29:33] | you’ll at least have an office to come to. | 你至少有个地方上班 |
[29:36] | You can pick up some court appointments, | 你可以办点法庭指定的案子 |
[29:37] | hustle up some contingencies. | 收点律师费 |
[29:38] | And what about the others? | 那其他人怎么办 |
[29:40] | How are they gonna feel? | 他们会怎么想 |
[29:41] | Not collecting regular paychecks | 他们本来已经不能按时领薪水 |
[29:43] | then in comes me. | 现在又多了我一个 |
[29:44] | How they gonna feel about that? | 他们会怎么想 |
[29:50] | Look, you’re where you are coz you helped me. | 你是因为帮我才陷入这个境地的 |
[29:57] | It’s time for me to help you. | 现在该让我帮你了 |
[30:03] | I could stand here and talk about | 我可以站在这里 |
[30:05] | how there’s no evidence of money changing hands. | 说本案没有支付钱款的证据 |
[30:08] | No evidence of culpable intent | 也没有证据证明我的当事人 |
[30:11] | with respect to my client. | 有犯罪的意图 |
[30:14] | Was he foolish to think that a prostitute | 他以为妓女会免费跟他上床 |
[30:16] | would sleep with him? | 是不是很傻 |
[30:16] | Of course he was. | 当然傻 |
[30:18] | This isn’t a stable man. | 他不太正常 |
[30:19] | I don’t need to convince you of that. | 这一点无需我多说 |
[30:20] | He’s a flasher. | 他是个暴露狂 |
[30:22] | They didn’t make the elements here. | 他们 没有基本的证据 |
[30:25] | I could sit down right now | 我现在就可以结束陈词 |
[30:26] | and you’d have to come back not guilty. | 而你们只能作出无罪判决 |
[30:28] | But I’m going to stay up here just a little longer | 但是我要在这里多说几句 |
[30:29] | because I want to talk to you about something else. | 因为我想跟你们谈点别的 |
[30:32] | Something called the United States of America. | 关于美国精神 |
[30:38] | Big brother police saw Mr. Holsten | 老大哥警察看到Holsten先生 |
[30:40] | walk away with Sheila. | 和Sheila一起离开 |
[30:44] | Mr. Holsten. | Holsten先生 |
[30:48] | Look at him. | 看看他 |
[30:50] | Overweight. | 大胖子 |
[30:50] | He would just have to pay for sex, wouldn’t he? | 他只能花钱去享受性行为 不是吗 |
[30:53] | What woman would want to be with him? | 什么样的女人看得上他 |
[30:55] | It must be prostitution. | 肯定是卖淫 |
[30:57] | Let’s follow them and then we’ll bust the door down, | 我们跟着他们 然后破门而入 |
[30:59] | we can do that and get away with it. | 我们可以这样做 没有关系 |
[31:00] | You know why? | 知道为什么吗 |
[31:01] | Because we don’t like the way they look. | 因为我们不喜欢他们的样子 |
[31:03] | And when they charged into that room | 当他们冲进房间 |
[31:04] | and saw my client handcuffed to a dwarf, | 看到我的当事人和侏儒拷在一起 |
[31:07] | well it just had to be something kinky. | 他们觉得一定是在做什么变态的事情 |
[31:10] | But you know what? | 但是你们知道吗 |
[31:12] | I believe you need evidence. | 我认为你们需要看到证据 |
[31:15] | Times are changing. | 时代毕竟不同了 |
[31:17] | We are in fact becoming a more tolerant nation. | 我们事实上正在变成一个更加宽容的国家 |
[31:20] | We are in fact becoming a land | 事实上 在这片土地上 |
[31:22] | where people do not prejudge on looks alone. | 人们已经不再单纯以貌取人 |
[31:26] | You’re three and a half feet tall, | 哪怕你只有三英尺半高 |
[31:28] | you’re still worth the presumption of dignity. | 也一样享有自己的尊严 |
[31:29] | If you have a sickness, | 即使你有什么毛病 |
[31:30] | a record of exposing yourself, | 有暴露狂的前科 |
[31:32] | we will not automatically conclude | 我们也不会想当然地认为 |
[31:34] | that everything you do is illegal. | 你所做的每件事都是非法的 |
[31:36] | This, this, is the United States of America. | 这样 这样 就是美利坚合众国 |
[31:41] | And this is the land | 在这片土地上 |
[31:43] | where people go back into that jury box | 人们回到陪审员室 |
[31:45] | and say prove it. | 说 “证明给我看” |
[31:46] | Prove the crime. | 证明犯罪的存在 |
[31:48] | Don’t you dare put a person’s deviances on display | 你们休想只向我们展示某个人的异常 |
[31:51] | and expect us to rush to the automatic conclusion | 指望我们就此草率地做出 |
[31:53] | that the crime was committed. | 罪名成立的结论 |
[31:55] | You prove it! | 你们得证明给我们看 |
[31:56] | They didn’t! | 但是他们没有 |
[31:58] | Oh they put on a great sideshow, | 他们表演了一大堆 |
[32:00] | but no proof! | 但就是没有证据 |
[32:02] | This isn’t an arena of innuendo, | 这里不是影射和讽刺的场所 |
[32:04] | ladies and gentlemen. | 女士们先生们 |
[32:05] | This isn’t a forum of foregone conclusions! | 这里也不是未审先判的地方 |
[32:08] | This is a courtroom in the United States of America. | 这里是美利坚合众国的法庭 |
[32:14] | And in this room, | 在这个法庭上 |
[32:15] | even when the defendants are the disenfranchised, | 即便被告是被剥夺了公民权的人 |
[32:19] | you still got to prove the elements of the crime. | 你仍然必须证明犯罪的基本要素 |
[32:29] | They didn’t. | 他们没有 |
[32:34] | Uh Mr. Frasier? | Frasier先生 |
[32:40] | A known prostitute quotes a convicted flasher | 一位妓女对一个有前科的暴露狂 |
[32:44] | a price of 300 dollars. | 喊价300块 |
[32:46] | They are found minutes later naked in her bed. | 几分钟后 人们发现他们裸体躺在床上 |
[32:54] | Without passing comment on the dwarf, | 对那个侏儒不做评论 |
[32:57] | I would just like to say, | 我想说的是 |
[33:00] | ask not what your country can do for you, | 不要问国家能为你做什么 |
[33:04] | ask what you can do for your country. | 而要问你能为国家做什么 |
[33:08] | And then, | 这样 |
[33:10] | maybe we can all build a bridge | 也许 我们就可以搭建一座 |
[33:13] | to the 21st century. | 通往21世纪的桥梁 |
[33:20] | Are you threatening me? | 你是在威胁我吗 |
[33:22] | I’m simply saying, | 我只是说 |
[33:23] | given this liaison between you | 考虑到你和Finley事务所 |
[33:25] | and an associate at Finley Hoag | 这位律师的关系… |
[33:27] | Who the hell do you think you are? | 你以为你是谁 |
[33:28] | This is blatant extortion. | 你这是公然勒索 |
[33:29] | If I wanted it to be blatant, | 如果我想让它公开 |
[33:31] | I’d do it in open court. | 我就会在法庭上提出来 |
[33:32] | Would you prefer that? | 你希望我这么做吗 |
[33:34] | Got a wife, Judge? | 你有妻子吗 法官 |
[33:35] | Kids? | 有孩子吗 |
[33:37] | Why don’t you fine me fifty bucks for saying that? | 怎么不罚我50块 |
[33:39] | Is this the way you practice law? | 你就是这样做律师的吗 |
[33:41] | If I have to. | 如果必要的话 |
[33:42] | I think you better rethink | 我想你最好还是慎重考虑一下 |
[33:43] | how you operate, counsel. | 该怎么做 律师 |
[33:44] | Look, I don’t know whether this relationship | 我不清楚这层关系 |
[33:45] | makes you biased or not, | 是否令你产生偏袒 |
[33:47] | I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it doesn’t. | 本着无罪推定的原则 就当不会好了 |
[33:49] | But there is definitely some favorable treatment | 但是显然你审理案件的方式 |
[33:51] | going Pierson’s way. | 有利于Pearson |
[33:53] | Intentional or not I don’t know. I don’t care. | 我不知道你是不是有意的 我不关心 |
[33:56] | I don’t like it! And I don’t like you. | 我不喜欢 我也不喜欢你 |
[33:58] | Nobody but nobody comes into this room and strong arms me. | 没有人 没有人能到这里来胁迫我 |
[34:01] | Fine. Let’s just say that you came to this decision on your own. | 好 那我们就说这是你自己的个人决定 |
[34:05] | Emerson Ray got screwed once by the tobacco industry, | Emerson Ray已经被烟草行业整了一次 |
[34:09] | I won’t let him get screwed by you! | 我不会让他再被你整一次 |
[34:12] | So get off this case! | 所以 退出这个案子 |
[34:34] | What’s the matter? | 你怎么了 |
[34:38] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[34:44] | I don’t know if I can hold this place together anymore, Bec. | 我不知道事务所还能不能撑下去 Bec |
[34:49] | You’ll work it out. | 你会找到办法的 |
[34:51] | I’m not sure we’ll get by | 我不知道烟草公司案的 |
[34:53] | summary judgment on the tobacco case. | 简易判决听证能不能赢 |
[34:55] | If Donna Braun’s killer gets off on insanity, | 如果Ronald Martin因为精神失常被判无罪 |
[34:57] | our wrongful death claim gets wobbled. | 我们的民事索赔案也会很棘手 |
[34:59] | Different standard of proof. | 证明标准不同啊 |
[35:01] | Even so. | 话是这么说 |
[35:03] | I borrowed on the tobacco case | 我向Jimmy的银行借钱 |
[35:05] | with Jimmy’s bank. | 来打烟草公司的案子 |
[35:06] | Costs, everything else… | 应付各种支出等等 |
[35:08] | We’ll probably lose money. | 可能还要亏钱 |
[35:10] | And | 还有 |
[35:13] | I just hired Jimmy to come work here | 我刚刚雇了Jimmy到这里来工作 |
[35:16] | because he got fired for making that loan. | 因为他借钱给我丢了工作 |
[35:28] | This wasn’t exactly our plan, was it? | 这可不是我们当初设想的样子 |
[35:35] | Ten years ago we moved into this office. | 十年前 我们搬进这间办公室 |
[35:39] | You, me, typewriter | 你 我 打字机 |
[35:44] | and big dreams. | 还有美妙的梦想 |
[35:49] | I still got the typewriter, anyway. | 至少 打字机还在 |
[35:54] | And you still got me. | 我也还在 |
[36:00] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[36:01] | And you still got your big dreams. | 你的美妙梦想也还在 |
[36:08] | You’ll work it out, Bobby. | 你会有办法的 Bobby |
[36:17] | A hung jury. That’s fate. | 陪审团不能做出一致裁决 这是天意 |
[36:20] | For me to get a jury that’s hung. | 天意让陪审团无法得出一致的裁决 |
[36:21] | Don’t you think? | 不是吗 |
[36:24] | Look, the DA says he’s prepared to re-try it. | 检察官说他准备重新起诉 |
[36:27] | If that happens after Sheila’s trial | 如果他在Sheila被起诉 |
[36:28] | and if she’s convicted, | 并定罪之后起诉你 |
[36:29] | he’ll have a better hand. | 他的胜算就会大得多 |
[36:30] | He might even deal her sentence a little | 他甚至可能给她减刑 |
[36:32] | to get her to testify against you. | 换取她对你指证 |
[36:34] | So you’ll cross examine her. | 那你可以盘问她 |
[36:35] | Prior inconsistent statements. | 说她跟以前的陈述自相矛盾 |
[36:39] | Let’s plead guilty. | 我们认罪吧 |
[36:41] | A months suspended sentence, it doesn’t mean anything, | 一个月缓刑 对你来说根本没有影响 |
[36:43] | you’ve already got a record. | 你反正都已经有前科了 |
[36:46] | I don’t want to go to any sex clinic, | 我不想去性诊所 |
[36:48] | if that’s part of the deal. | 如果那是辩诉交易的条件 |
[36:50] | Mr. Holsten, listen to me for a second. | Holsten先生 听我说几句 |
[36:58] | Look at me. | 看着我 |
[37:03] | So far you ain’t made it in life. | 你目前生活得不如意 |
[37:06] | Me, seven years a lawyer | 我呢 做了七年的律师 |
[37:07] | and I’m still representing guys | 现在还在为在街上脱裤子 |
[37:08] | who walk around dropping their pants; | 的当事人作辩护 |
[37:10] | that tells me I’ve got some moving up to do too. | 这意味着我也需要在事业上有所进步 |
[37:13] | I like to look for victories where I can find them. | 胜利不能凭空得来 |
[37:16] | This case here, | 这个案子 |
[37:18] | my little victory would be | 如果能让一个病了的人去寻求帮助 |
[37:19] | getting a sick guy to go for some help. | 就是我的小小胜利 |
[37:21] | If I could feel a part of | 如果我能帮助别人 |
[37:22] | getting a man to face a problem, an illness, | 让他们正视问题 正视疾病 |
[37:25] | that would be something. | 我就很满足了 |
[37:27] | So I’m asking you, | 所以我请求你 |
[37:30] | if you don’t want to do anything for yourself, | 如果你不想帮自己 |
[37:32] | then do it for me. | 那就当是帮我吧 |
[37:37] | How long? | 多久 |
[37:40] | Two months. | 两个月 |
[37:41] | Inpatient. | 住院治疗 |
[37:46] | Please. | 拜托 |
[37:51] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[37:56] | For the last six weeks, | 在过去的六个星期里 |
[37:58] | you’ve heard doctor after doctor | 你们听了一个又一个医生 |
[38:00] | talk about Ronald Martin. | 谈论Ronald Martin |
[38:01] | How he was temporarily insane, | 说他暂时精神失常 |
[38:04] | how he wasn’t responsible, | 说他不该承担责任 |
[38:06] | he’s this, he’s that. | 说他这样 说他那样 |
[38:08] | He’s here. | 他就在这里 |
[38:10] | Nobody talks about Donna Braun. | 没有人关心Donna Braun |
[38:13] | She’s no longer part of our reality, is she? | 她已经不属于现实世界了 不是吗 |
[38:16] | She doesn’t get to sit here, day after day, | 她不能每天坐在这里 |
[38:19] | looking human. | 像大家一样 |
[38:21] | She’s past tense. | 她已经成为历史了 |
[38:24] | And every day she becomes a little more gone, | 随着时间流逝 她一天天离我们更远 |
[38:25] | a little more forgotten, | 一天天被人遗忘 |
[38:27] | until one day, she doesn’t exist, at all. | 直到有一天 她终于彻底消失不见 |
[38:31] | And all you take back into that jury room with you | 当你们回到陪审员室 脑中所想的 |
[38:35] | is him. | 只有他 |
[38:38] | Ronald Martin Ronald Martin. | |
[38:40] | That man, right there, | 这个人坐在那里 |
[38:41] | with the sad face, | 满脸悲伤 |
[38:44] | the man with a priest sitting behind him, | 神父坐在他身后 |
[38:46] | the man who all the psychiatric experts | 所有的精神科专家 |
[38:48] | said such nice things about, | 都说他是个好人 |
[38:51] | but also the man who strangled Donna Braun for seven minutes. | 但正是他勒死了Donna Braun 七分钟 |
[38:55] | This was not a snap flash of anger. | 他不是一时的愤怒 |
[38:59] | He choked her for seven minutes. | 他勒住她足足七分钟 |
[39:03] | He kept squeezing and squeezing | 他一直不停地用力 |
[39:05] | until her eyes bulged out of her sockets | 直到她眼珠突出 |
[39:07] | and until there was no life left in her. | 再也没有一丝气息 |
[39:11] | And that’s how he left her | 然后他扔下她 |
[39:12] | as he drove off to the church to beg for forgiveness. | 跑到教堂去乞求宽恕 |
[39:18] | Now Mr. Goode implores you to | Goode先生恳求你们 |
[39:20] | protect the American justice system. | 捍卫美国司法制度 |
[39:23] | What is that system? | 什么样的制度呢 |
[39:25] | Where rich people buy acquittals? | 有钱人可以买到无罪判决的制度? |
[39:28] | Where if you have enough money | 只要你有足够的钱 |
[39:29] | you’re entitled to one free murder? | 你就可以杀人然后逍遥法外的制度? |
[39:32] | Well, we need to know that’s not our system. | 我们要明白这不是我们的制度 |
[39:35] | They need to know. | 他们也需要明白这一点 |
[39:38] | They lost their daughter, | 他们失去了女儿 |
[39:40] | their only daughter. | 他们唯一的女儿 |
[39:42] | They need to hear you say | 他们需要听到你们说 |
[39:44] | that is not our system of justice. | 那不是我们的司法制度 |
[39:46] | We all need to hear that. | 我们都需要听到这样的说法 |
[39:55] | Mr. Pierson, I’ll hear from you. | Pearson先生 本庭现在听取你的陈述 |
[39:57] | Thank you, your honor. | 谢谢 法官阁下 |
[39:59] | I am Anderson Pierson, | 我叫Anderson Pearson |
[40:02] | representing the respondent, TL Michaels. | 代理被告TL Michaels公司 |
[40:04] | And pursuant to rule 56 | 根据马萨诸塞州民事诉讼法 |
[40:06] | of the Massachusetts Rules of Civil Procedure, | 第56条 |
[40:09] | we submit the plaintiff’s claim… | 我们针对原告的诉请… |
[40:11] | I’m sorry, your honor. | 对不起 法官阁下 |
[40:12] | Forgive me. I’m a little confused. | 请原谅 我有点糊涂了 |
[40:16] | According to your clerk’s notice, | 根据您的书记员的通知 |
[40:18] | we were to hear…what is it… | 在就简易判决进行口头辩论之前 |
[40:19] | uh any and all discovery or pre-trial matters | 我们要审查…怎么说的 |
[40:22] | before oral arguments on summary judgment. | 任何证据开示或审理前事项 |
[40:25] | There are no other matters. | 不存在此类的事项啊 |
[40:26] | Well, actually there is one other nagging little matter. | 事实上 有一个其它的 烦人的小事项 |
[40:44] | I’ve decided to dispense with oral arguments, | 本庭已经决定无需进行口头辩论 |
[40:47] | Mr. Pierson. | Pearson先生 |
[40:48] | I find there to be several obvious disputes | 我认为本案存在几处明显的 |
[40:50] | of material fact in this case. | 涉及重要事实的争议 |
[40:52] | The defendant’s motion for summary judgment is hereby denied, | 被告的简易判决动议因此被驳回 |
[40:57] | ruling in favor of the plaintiff. | 采纳原告的主张 |
[40:58] | Moreover, I recuse myself from this case. | 此外 我决定退出本案 |
[41:02] | Another judge will be assigned. | 法庭会另行指派一位法官 |
[41:05] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[41:09] | So what happens now? | 接下来怎么办 |
[41:11] | What happens now is we get our day in court, with a jury. | 接下来我们会上法庭 由陪审团裁决 |
[41:15] | We are in the fight, | 我们开始战斗了 |
[41:17] | we are in the fight. | 我们开始战斗了 |
[41:25] | Quite pleased are we? | 大家很高兴啊 是吧 |
[41:28] | What was all that Lindsay? | 这是怎么回事 Lindsay |
[41:30] | The beginning, professor. | 序幕 教授 |
[41:32] | Do you know what you’re in for? | 你知道自己面对的是什么吗 |
[41:34] | I think so. | 我知道 |
[41:35] | Do you? | 你呢 |
[41:52] | Hey Jimmy. | 你好 Jimmy |
[41:53] | Eugene Young Eugene Young. | |
[41:54] | Don’t know if we’ve officially met, | 不知道我们有没有正式见过面 |
[41:59] | but welcome. | 欢迎你 |
[42:01] | Thanks. | 谢谢你 |
[42:02] | I’ve heard a lot about you. | 我已经久闻大名了 |
[42:03] | We’re very excited. | 我们都很高兴你来 |
[42:04] | You need anything supply-wise, just let me know, | 有什么需要的话就来找我 |
[42:06] | I’ve already got your phone line set up. | 我已经把你的电话线接好了 |
[42:09] | Oh great, I don’t need anything. | 谢谢 我不需要什么 |
[42:11] | A pad of paper and somebody to sue, you know. | 只要一叠纸和一个被告 |
[42:17] | Listen, thanks for this, | 说真的 非常感谢 |
[42:20] | I know it couldn’t have been good news | 我知道多一个人 |
[42:22] | bringing in another body, | 对你们可不是什么好事 |
[42:23] | especially mine, | 特别是我这样的 |
[42:24] | but uh this is going to be a big year for me. | 不过 今年对我来说意义重大 |
[42:27] | I promise, I’m gonna win a case. | 我保证 我会打赢官司的 |
[42:32] | We have no doubt. | 我们相信你会的 |
[42:34] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[42:37] | The judge will instruct on Monday, | 法官会在下周一给陪审团做指导 |
[42:38] | then it’s up to the jury. | 然后就看陪审团的了 |
[42:40] | Any progress finding the old girlfriend? | 找到他的前女友了吗 |
[42:43] | No. | 没有 |
[42:45] | We’re running out of time. | 我们快没时间了 |
[42:47] | Ms. Lloyd, thank you for your words. | Lloyd小姐 谢谢你的结案陈词 |
[42:50] | I hope the jury listened. | 我希望陪审团听进去了 |
[42:52] | So do we. | 我们也想 |
[42:54] | It’s almost over. | 差不多要结束了 |
[42:56] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[42:59] | Part of me is glad for that. | 一方面 这让我觉得解脱 |
[43:01] | Another part… | 但另一方面 |
[43:03] | I wonder what we’re going to do | 我不知道当一切都结束之后 |
[43:05] | when it is over. | 我们该怎么办 |
[43:14] | I’ll see ya. | 再见 |
[43:15] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[43:24] | Lindsay. Um…the tobacco case, | 嗯 烟草公司的案子 |
[43:27] | I want you to try it. | 我想让你主办 |
[43:30] | I think you’re more prepared on it than me. | 我觉得你比我准备得更充分 |
[43:32] | Bobby, I’ve never even done | Bobby 我还从来没有做过 |
[43:35] | a jury trial before. | 陪审团审判的案件 |
[43:37] | Are you sure? | 你确定? |
[43:38] | You’ve done all the discovery, | 你已经做了所有的准备工作 |
[43:40] | I think you’re ready. | 我觉得你可以了 |
[43:43] | Do you think you can do it? | 你有信心吗 |
[43:45] | Um…sure. | 嗯 当然 |
[43:48] | Tell me if you can’t, you don’t have to be a hero here. | 如果觉得不行就直说 别逞能 |
[43:53] | I can do it. | 我可以 |
[44:00] | Ok. | 好 |
[44:02] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[44:20] | Next on The Practice. | 《律师本色》下集预告 |
[44:22] | Found her. | 找到她了 |
[44:23] | Ex-girlfriend of Ronald Martin, | Ronald Martin的前女友 |
[44:24] | and he beat the hell out of her for two years. | 那两年他把她打得够呛 |
[44:26] | Eugene, the jury is already deliberating. | Eugene 陪审团已经在审议了 |
[44:28] | If you drag the jury back in here, | 如果你把陪审团叫回来 |
[44:30] | and tell them “oh, by the way, | 告诉他们说 “哦 顺便说下 |
[44:32] | we’ve discovered a new witness | 我们找到了一位新的证人 |
[44:34] | it’s a woman Ronald Martin tried to strangle. | 她当年差点被Ronald Martin勒死” |
[44:36] | We might as welll save the time | 我们还不如省点时间 |
[44:38] | and declare a mistrial right now. | 直接宣布无效审判算了 |
[44:39] | The jury is free to disregard the witness, | 陪审团可以选择是否采纳她的证言 |
[44:41] | that’s your specialty, Mr. Goode, | 这正是你的拿手好戏 Goode先生 |
[44:42] | convincing people to ignore the truth. | 说服所有人无视事实真相 |
[44:44] | We can’t match expert with the tabacco industry | 我们不能和烟草公司拼专家 |
[44:46] | if we parade up scientist on addiction or dopamine | 如果我们找烟瘾或多巴胺专家来作证 |
[44:49] | or whatever, we lose. | 我们一定会输 |
[44:49] | Coz whatever guns we got, they got bigger ones. | 因为他们的专家必定强过我们的 |
[44:51] | We don’t have the experts lined up | 我们没有专家团 |
[44:53] | because we couldn’t afford to hire any. | 因为我们请不起 |
[44:54] | We don’t have the, the, the science on addiction, | 我们没有关于成瘾的科学证据 |
[44:57] | because we didn’ do the legwork. | 因为我们根本没有收集 |
[44:59] | We’re going with nothing | 我们不打证据仗 |
[45:00] | because that’s what we have. Nothing. | 因为我们压根就没有证据 |
[45:01] | And you’re throwing me this case | 你把这个案子交给我 |
[45:02] | not because of any confidence, | 不是因为什么信任 |
[45:04] | but because you don’t want to be the one to take the fall! | 而是因为你不想承担这个责任 |
[45:06] | Mr. Donnell? | Donnell先生? |
[45:07] | Ready for trial, your honor. | 可以开始庭审 法官阁下 |
[45:09] | Mr. Pearson? | Pearson先生? |
[45:10] | Ready for trial, your honor. | 可以开始庭审 法官阁下 |
[45:12] | Let’s bring in the jury. | 请陪审团入席 |