时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | I shot him and I watched his neck explode. | 我崩了他 我看着他的脖子被打穿 |
[00:06] | And it was joyous. | 真痛快 |
[00:07] | If I had a daughter and somebody killed her, | 但如果我有个女儿被人杀害了 |
[00:10] | I’d want him dead. | 我也会想报仇的 |
[00:11] | You think the jury will think like that? | 你觉得陪审团也会这么想吗 |
[00:13] | I do. | 会的 |
[00:13] | My advice? Temporary insanity. | 我建议 以暂时性精神失常辩护 |
[00:16] | Your daughter was murdered, | 你的女儿被人杀害 |
[00:17] | the pressure of the trial, topped off with an acquittal? | 无罪的判决把你逼到崩溃的边缘 |
[00:19] | You snapped. | 你失控了 |
[00:20] | I knew what I was doing. | 我知道自己当时在做什么 |
[00:21] | I won’t pretend otherwise. | 我不会谎称神志不清 |
[00:23] | -Gerald. -No. | -Gerold -不行 |
[00:25] | If Gerald Braun came to you before and said, | 如果Gerold Braun事前来对你说 |
[00:27] | Oh, by the way, I’m going to kill Ronald Martin. | 哦 我要去杀了Ronald Martin |
[00:29] | I hardly think you’d give him your blessing. | 我不认为你会给他什么道义上的祝福 |
[00:31] | Well, you would be wrong, Mr. Goode. | 那你就错了 Goode先生 |
[00:33] | Because Dr. Braun did come to me, | 因为Braun医生确实来找过我 |
[00:36] | and I did give him my blessing. | 我也确实给了他祝福 |
[00:37] | You encouraged Dr. Braun to commit a homicide. | 你教唆Braun医生谋杀 |
[00:40] | This is not a thing rabbis should do with their congregate. | 这可不是拉比和他的教众该做的事 |
[00:43] | -Mr. Warner? -Yes? | -Warner先生 -是我 |
[00:44] | Detective Robert Belle, Boston Police. | 我是Robert Belle警官 波斯顿警局的 |
[00:46] | Would you place your hands behind your back? | 请把手放到背后 先生 |
[00:48] | Don’t you think you gave him the righteousness | 你不觉得是你给了他正当性 |
[00:50] | to see it through? | 促使他采取行动的吗 |
[00:52] | Let’s not kid ourselves. | 我们不要自欺欺人了 |
[00:53] | Ronald Martin is dead | Ronald Martin的死 |
[00:55] | in large part because of you. | 很大程度上是你造成的 |
[00:57] | Notice of appearance of a new DA in the Braun trial. | 通知我们Braun案增加了一位检察官 |
[01:00] | Asher Silverman Asher Silverman? | |
[01:02] | What, you know this guy? | 怎么 你认识他 |
[01:02] | Asher Silverman is a legend. | Asha Silverman是个传奇人物 |
[01:04] | He has never lost a murder trial. | 他从来没打输过谋杀案 |
[01:06] | That was the sanest moment of my life. | 那是我这辈子精神最正常的一刻 |
[01:08] | I’ll get right on that stand and say so. | 我在证人席上也会这么说的 |
[01:10] | Say it like that, | 如果你敢那么说 |
[01:11] | and wave bye-bye to your wife and world. | 你就和你老婆和整个世界说拜拜吧 |
[01:14] | Who the hell’s side are you on? | 你他妈到底是哪边的 |
[01:15] | This DA isn’t good, | 这个检察官不仅是厉害而已 |
[01:17] | he is great! | 他是绝顶高手 |
[01:18] | If he can convince those jurors | 如果他能说服陪审员们 |
[01:20] | to ignore the cheering and the sympathy, | 无视外界的同情而专注于法律本身 |
[01:21] | you both go away! | 你们俩都会完蛋 |
[01:24] | Commonwealth vs David Piper, | 马萨诸塞州诉David Piper |
[01:26] | sexual intercourse with a minor. | 奸淫幼女罪 |
[01:28] | Eugene Young for the defendant. | Eugene Young为被告辩护 |
[01:30] | We’ll waive reading. Plead not guilty. | 我们放弃宣读权利 做无罪辩护 |
[01:32] | Ask for personal recognizance, no priors. | 申请自我保释 被告没有前科 |
[01:35] | Are you asking bail? | 要求保释金吗 |
[01:36] | No. | 不要求 |
[01:37] | How old is the girl? | 受害者多大了 |
[01:38] | Thirteen, Your Honor. | 13岁 法官阁下 |
[01:42] | Trial date, June the 20th. See Probation. | 6月20号开庭 被告保释候审 |
[01:48] | Where’s Mr. Donnell? | Donnell先生怎么没来 |
[01:49] | He’s in trial this week. | 他这周有其他的案子 |
[01:50] | Can you come by the office? | 你能不能到办公室来 |
[01:51] | This report is sketchy | 这报告写的太简略 |
[01:52] | and I need more information. | 我要了解详细情况 |
[01:54] | What’s gonna happe to me? | 法院会怎么判 |
[01:55] | Well, I won’t say nothing, David. | 我不敢说你肯定没事 David |
[01:57] | A 13-year-old girl, I mean… | 十三岁的小女孩 我是说 |
[01:59] | Well, she’s 14 now, and she consented. | 但她现在已经十四了 而且她自愿的 |
[02:01] | That doesn’t matter when it’s statutory rape. | 奸淫幼女罪不管是不是自愿 |
[02:05] | Statutory rape. | 奸淫幼女 |
[02:09] | She was 13. | 她才13岁 |
[02:11] | That sink in at all with you? | 你难道没意识到吗 |
[02:14] | I fell in love with her, man. | 我是真的爱上她了 |
[02:17] | And what, did she report you? | 怎么 是她去报的案吗 |
[02:19] | Was it her parents? | 还是她的父母 |
[02:20] | I think it was her doctor. | 我猜是医生报的案 |
[02:22] | Her doctor? Did she get hurt? | 医生 你弄伤她了? |
[02:24] | No, man. | 没有啊 |
[02:27] | She got pregnant. | 她怀孕了 |
[03:17] | Mr.Berluti, what can you tell us? | Berluti先生 说两句吧 |
[03:19] | We expect to show he didn’t do it. | 我们将证明不是他干的 |
[03:21] | He said he did. | 可他已经承认了 |
[03:22] | No, he only admitted to shooting the guy in the head, | 他只是承认射中死者的头部 |
[03:23] | causing his death forthwith. | 导致他立即死亡 |
[03:25] | That isn’t necessarily murder | 这并不必然是谋杀 |
[03:26] | when there are mitigating circumstances. | 只要存在减轻罪行的情节 |
[03:28] | -Mr. Berluti? -But like what? | -Berluti先生 -哪些情节呢 |
[03:30] | -The guy had it coming! -Mr. Donnell? | -是罪有应得 -Donnell先生 |
[03:32] | No comment. Goodbye. | 无可奉告 再会 |
[03:36] | Were you talking to them? | 你接受他们采访了 |
[03:37] | Sound bites. Nothing of substance. | 随口应付而已 没什么 |
[03:39] | -Rabbi? -Rabbi? | -拉比 -拉比 |
[03:41] | Rabbi Silverman, what is your position? | Silverman拉比 你对案件怎么看 |
[03:45] | Rabbi Silverman, what is your position? | Silverman拉比 你对案件怎么看 |
[03:47] | He looks like a corpse. | 他看起来像个死人 |
[03:50] | Is the judge gonna let him wear the little cap? | 法官会让他戴着那顶小圆帽吗 |
[03:54] | Jury nullification basically means | “废弃裁决”基本是指 |
[03:56] | telling the jury to acquit, | 说服陪审团宣判无罪 |
[03:58] | even though the defendant is guilty. | 即便被告确实有罪 |
[04:00] | Lawyers aren’t technically allowed to make this argument, | 理论上律师不允许做这样的辩护 |
[04:02] | but they invariably find a way to do it anyway. | 但是他们总能通过其它方式提出来 |
[04:06] | Watch it. | 看着点 |
[04:06] | And Bobby Donnell | 人们预计Bobby Donnell |
[04:08] | is expected to do it here. | 在本案中也会这样做 |
[04:09] | He’ll be saying, “Hey, whatever the law says, | 他会说 嘿 不管法律怎么规定 |
[04:11] | you can’t put Gerold Braun in jail.” | 你们不能让Gerold Braun进监狱 |
[04:13] | It can be effective with sympathetic defendants. | 这招对于引人同情的被告来说很有效 |
[04:16] | And the prosecution knows this. | 检方对这一点也十分清楚 |
[04:17] | It’s why they brought in Asher Silverman. | 所以他们派出了Asher Silverman |
[04:19] | If the defense takes a holier-than-thou position, | 如果被告方以其自以为的虔诚作为抗辩 |
[04:22] | you can bet Rabbi Silverman | 毫无疑问Silverman拉比 |
[04:24] | will have something to say about it. | 将针锋相对地反驳 |
[04:25] | How old are you, David? | 你多大了 David |
[04:27] | I’m 19. | 我十九 |
[04:28] | Nineteen. Okay. | 十九岁 好 |
[04:30] | And the victim, Melanie White? | 受害人Melanie White |
[04:32] | Are you two still on good terms? | 你们还在交往吗 |
[04:34] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[04:35] | What about her parents? | 她的父母呢 |
[04:36] | Any chance they don’t hate you? | 他们能接受你吗 |
[04:38] | Well, she’s only got her mother, | 她父亲不在了 |
[04:39] | and I don’t think she’s too happy, | 她母亲并不喜欢我 |
[04:42] | but she ain’t threatening to kill me or nothing. | 但也不会想置我于死地 |
[04:45] | Is there any chance that Melanie | 有没有可能Melanie |
[04:47] | or her mother would speak on your behalf? | 或她母亲会帮你说话 |
[04:48] | Hey, this is all gonna come down to sentencing. | 这会对判决产生影响 |
[04:51] | So whatever help we can get. | 我们需要一切有利因素 |
[04:52] | I don’t know about Mrs. White. | 我不知道White太太会怎么说 |
[04:54] | But I know Melanie would come. | 但Melanie一定会帮我 |
[04:55] | She’s with me now. | 她跟我一起来的 |
[04:57] | What? | 是吗 |
[04:58] | Yeah, she’s out there waiting. | 是啊 她就在外面等我 |
[05:00] | Well, she can come in. | 叫她进来啊 |
[05:09] | Come on in, baby. | 进来 宝贝 |
[05:12] | Mr. Young, this is Melanie. | Young先生 这是Melanie |
[05:14] | Melanie, Mr. Young. | Melanie 这是Young先生 |
[05:16] | Hi. | 你好 |
[05:18] | Hi. | 你好 |
[05:20] | So you two… | 那么 你们两个 |
[05:23] | are on good terms? | 还在交往 |
[05:25] | Didn’t you tell him? | 你没告诉他吗 |
[05:28] | Look, Mr. Young… | Young先生 |
[05:30] | we love each other, all right? | 我们两个彼此相爱 |
[05:32] | And we both wanna have this baby. | 而且我们都想要这个孩子 |
[06:00] | Last chance. | 最后一次机会 |
[06:01] | We’ll still take manslaughter. | 非蓄谋杀人罪 |
[06:03] | Voluntary. | 我们愿意认罪 |
[06:04] | I think not. | 不用了 |
[06:07] | He could walk. | 他可能无罪释放 |
[06:10] | I think not. | 我觉得不会 |
[06:12] | It’s an honor to be up against you. | 与你较量我们深感荣幸 |
[06:13] | Jimmy Jimmy. | |
[06:15] | But we’re not afraid. | 但我们不怕你 |
[06:17] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[06:19] | The state of Massachusetts vs. Gerald Braun. | 马萨诸塞州诉Gerald Braun |
[06:23] | Sources say the prosecution will be putting up | 消息人士透露 检方首先会传唤 |
[06:26] | an eyewitness by the name of Chris Varley | 一位名叫Chris Varley的目击证人 |
[06:28] | who was out walking his dog that day | 他当时正在遛狗 |
[06:30] | and saw Dr. Braun shoot Mr. Martin. | 亲眼目睹Braun医生枪杀Martin先生 |
[06:32] | -The medical examiner is scheduled… -You believe this? | -第二位证人将是验尸官 -难以置信吧 |
[06:34] | Every station is covering it. | 每个电视台都在转播 |
[06:37] | This will put us on the map. | 我们肯定要出名了 |
[06:39] | Yeah, nice map. | 是啊 臭名远扬 |
[06:45] | He just walked up, real calm, | 他走过去 非常冷静 |
[06:48] | raised the gun and shot him. | 举起枪 射杀了他 |
[06:50] | What did you do, sir? | 你做什么了 先生 |
[06:51] | Well, I just kind of froze up. | 我当时 有点吓呆了 |
[06:54] | There was blood coming out of the guy’s neck. | 血从那人的脖子上涌出来 |
[06:56] | Then he took, like, two steps. | 然后他往前走了两步的样子 |
[07:00] | Pointed the gun again, | 又开了一枪 |
[07:02] | and shot him in the head, and that was it. | 打在那人头部 |
[07:05] | Did you have opportunity to | 你是否注意到 |
[07:06] | observe the demeanor of the defendant, sir? | 被告的举止是否正常 先生 |
[07:08] | He seemed as calm as he could be. | 他再平静不过了 |
[07:11] | What happened after the shooting? Mr.Varley. | 他开枪之后发生了什么 Varley先生 |
[07:15] | He looked up. Said to me: | 他抬起头来 对我说 |
[07:18] | “I suggest you notify the police.” | “我建议你通知警方” |
[07:21] | Just like that, real calm: | 就这样 非常平静 |
[07:23] | “I suggest you notify the police.” | “我建议你通知警方” |
[07:26] | Like it wasn’t even a 911. | 好像甚至都不算报警 |
[07:28] | The first shot wasn’t fatal. | 第一枪并未毙命 |
[07:30] | You can see it only | 你们可以看到 |
[07:31] | nicked the carotid sinus at the bifurcation. | 只是擦伤了颈动脉窦的分叉处 |
[07:34] | What about the second shot? | 那第二枪呢 |
[07:35] | Your Honor, I renew my objections to these photos. | 法官阁下 我再次反对这些照片呈堂 |
[07:38] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[07:39] | -Any value they might have… -Mr. Donnell… | -展示照片的价值仅仅是 -Donnell先生 |
[07:41] | will stipulate the injuries were bloody and fatal. | 使伤口显得既血腥又致命 |
[07:44] | Mr. Donnell, the court advises you to take your seat. | Donnell先生 本庭建议你坐下 |
[07:47] | Now. | 马上 |
[07:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:51] | Mr. Silverman? You may proceed. | Silverman先生 请继续 |
[07:53] | What about the second shot? | 第二枪怎么样 |
[07:55] | The bullet entered the temporal lobe | 子弹从太阳穴旁边射入 |
[07:57] | just above the eye socket. | 正位于眼窝上方 |
[07:59] | causing a pressure explosion of the upper brain and skull. | 导致颅脑上部爆裂 |
[08:02] | Do you have a medical opinion as to | 从医学专业角度判断 |
[08:05] | how long it took Ronald Martin to die? | Ronald Martin死亡的过程有多长 |
[08:08] | From the time of the first wound, | 从中第一枪开始 |
[08:09] | probably about 30 to 40 seconds. | 大约30到40秒 |
[08:11] | Do you have an opinion | 据你判断 |
[08:13] | as to whether the victim suffered? | 受害人是否遭受了巨大的痛苦 |
[08:15] | For 20 seconds or so, | 有大约20秒的时间 |
[08:16] | he was drowning in his own blood. | 他被自己的血液窒息而死 |
[08:18] | I would consider that suffering. | 我认为这是巨大的痛苦 |
[08:21] | I thought it went very well. | 我觉得相当不错 |
[08:22] | Well? That was well? | 不错 这还叫不错 |
[08:25] | Dr. Braun, you gotta expect… | Braun医生 你该有心理准备 |
[08:28] | The prosecution’s gonna try to make you look like | 检方会试图把你形容成 |
[08:30] | Charles Manson or something. | 查尔斯·曼森之类的人 |
[08:32] | I think, so far, | 我想到目前为止 |
[08:34] | you’re coming off a normal killer. | 你的形象还是一个普通的杀人犯 |
[08:36] | And now we put on our case. | 接下来 该轮到咱们上场了 |
[08:39] | Which is just the three of us. | 可我们只有三个人 |
[08:41] | No. | 不 |
[08:44] | It’ll just be you. | 只有你一个人 |
[08:46] | I thought I was first. | 我还以为我是第一个 |
[08:49] | If I put you on that stand, Mrs. Braun, | 如果我让你上去作证 Braun太太 |
[08:51] | they can get it out on cross | 他们会在盘问时让你说出 |
[08:53] | how calm Gerald seemed before he left. | Gerold离开家时表现得多么冷静 |
[08:56] | Your being in the courtroom is enough. | 你来到法庭旁听就已经足够了 |
[08:58] | I think it shows you support him. | 我觉得这表明了你对他的支持 |
[08:59] | -What about me? -Too dangerous. | -那我呢 -太冒险了 |
[09:01] | But the whole point is to show | 但我们的核心论点就在于证明 |
[09:03] | Gerald had some moral empowerment. | Gerold拥有某种道德上的正当性 |
[09:05] | If I don’t take the stand… | 如果我不作证… |
[09:06] | lf I put you in that chair, | 如果我让你作证 |
[09:07] | asher Silverman can blast away | Asher Silverman可以猛攻 |
[09:09] | at our moral-justification theory, | 我们”道德赦免”这一理由 |
[09:10] | with no risk to alienating the jury. | 而不会引起陪审团的反感 |
[09:13] | With Jerry, he has to tiptoe. | 但是对于Jerry 他必须慎之又慎 |
[09:15] | The jury feels sorry for Jerry. | 因为陪审团同情Jerry |
[09:17] | He’s a victim. You’re not. | 他是受害者 但你不是 |
[09:19] | Even so, | 即便如此 |
[09:20] | I can support Gerald’s state of mind. | 我还可以证实Gerald的心理状态 |
[09:22] | I don’t want our case depending on | 我不想把这个案子寄希望于 |
[09:23] | the jury liking or accepting you, | 陪审团喜欢你或接受你 |
[09:25] | because they won’t. | 因为那是不可能的 |
[09:28] | Why don’t we just argue | 我们为什么不以 |
[09:30] | temporary insanity? The jury… | “暂时精神失常”抗辩呢 陪审团… |
[09:31] | -No. -They’ll let you go. | -不 -他们会判你无罪 |
[09:33] | I wasn’t insane. | 我没有精神失常 |
[09:34] | I won’t say that I was, damn it. | 我不会说我精神失常 见鬼 |
[09:36] | Are you ready with your testimony? | 你准备好作证了吗 |
[09:39] | Yeah. I’m ready. | 恩 准备好了 |
[09:44] | Mr. Donnell, you may call your witness. | Donnell先生 请传唤你的第一位证人 |
[09:46] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢 法官阁下 |
[09:49] | The defense calls Dr. Gerald Braun. | 辩方传唤Gerald Braun医生 |
[09:54] | I’ll remind the gallery to stay silent. | 法庭提醒旁听席保持肃静 |
[10:03] | Raise your right hand, please. | 请举起右手 |
[10:05] | Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, | 你是否愿发誓陈述事实 全部的事实 |
[10:07] | and nothing but the truth, so help you God? | 并且只陈述事实 请求上帝保佑 |
[10:10] | So help me God. | 我发誓 愿上帝保佑我 |
[10:17] | All right, no comment. | 无可奉告 |
[10:18] | But this was not new information they put on. I can’t… | 检方的计划都在我们预料之中 我不能… |
[10:21] | What about the witness? | 那么证人呢 |
[10:21] | We all know Dr. Braun pulled the trigger, | 大家都知道是Braun医生开的枪 |
[10:23] | so what’s the point to the eye witness? | 那么目击证人的证言有什么意义呢 |
[10:24] | No comment at this time, sorry. | 无可奉告 对不起 |
[10:26] | And there’s no secret that the guy’s head and neck exploded. | 而且死者的脖子被打爆也不是秘密 |
[10:28] | This was stipulated. | 这些事实我们都认可 |
[10:29] | They were just trying to be inflammatory with those photos. | 他们要用照片来挑拨陪审团的情绪 |
[10:33] | How many times do I gotta say “no comment”? | 我要说多少遍”无可奉告” |
[10:35] | Mr. Donnell, what is your comment? Mr. Donnell? | Donnell先生 你怎么看 Donnell先生 |
[10:37] | Sound bites. Nothing more. | 随口应付 没多说 |
[10:39] | Mr. Donnell, what is your comment? | Donnell先生 你怎么看 |
[10:41] | You must say something. | 你得说几句 |
[10:43] | The defense wants to prove heat of passion. | 辩方试图证明是冲动杀人 |
[10:45] | But this is where it gets tricky. | 但微妙之处在于 |
[10:47] | Normally, heat of passion means a flash of rage, | 一般来说 冲动杀人是指强烈的愤怒 |
[10:49] | or that the defendant somehow lost control. | 或者说被告因某种原因失去自制力 |
[10:52] | But here, we have eyewitness accounts | 但是在本案中 有目击证人证实 |
[10:54] | as to how calm Dr. Braun was. | Braun医生当时非常冷静 |
[10:56] | The defense is basically arguing that the passion here | 被告想要辩护这种冲动是 |
[10:59] | is moral passion. | 道德上的冲动 |
[11:01] | That Dr. Braun was compelled by an overwhelming | 就是说Braun医生在不可抗拒的 |
[11:03] | moral force that made him pull the trigger. | 道德力量驱使之下扣动了扳机 |
[11:05] | A stretch? Maybe. | 很夸张吗 也许吧 |
[11:07] | But remember, | 不过请注意 |
[11:08] | if the defense can prove heat of any passion | 如果被告能够证明任何形式的情感冲动 |
[11:10] | Dr. Braun will walk completely free. | Braun医生将会无罪释放 |
[11:13] | Because manslaughter is not an option for the jury here. | 因为陪审团没办法判非蓄谋杀人 |
[11:16] | Prosecution is gambling. | 检方是在孤注一掷 |
[11:18] | They are going all or nothing. | 他们要么完胜 要么惨败 |
[11:24] | Why did you want off this case? | 你为什么不参与这个案子 |
[11:26] | Any lawyer would want in on this. | 这是每个律师梦寐以求的机会 |
[11:27] | Heat of passion? Please. | 冲动杀人 算了吧 |
[11:31] | I’m all for representing a client zealously | 我完全赞成积极为客户辩护 |
[11:33] | but arguing the morality of murder | 但把谋杀说成正义 |
[11:35] | really isn’t my niche. | 我实在辩护不来 |
[11:38] | A defense is a defense, Ellenor. | 辩护归辩护 Ellenor |
[11:41] | If memory serves me correctly, | 如果我没记错的话 |
[11:43] | you had a client who said that | 你以前有个当事人说 |
[11:44] | the devil made him do it. | 是魔鬼让他干的 |
[11:46] | You had no problem arguing that. | 你还不是照样为他辩护 |
[11:47] | What’s your point? | 你想说什么 |
[11:49] | My point is… | 我想说的是 |
[11:50] | I think you’re taking offense here as | 你不爽这个案子是因为你的 |
[11:52] | a Jew and not as a lawyer. | 犹太身份而非律师身份 |
[11:54] | And I’m not allowed to do that? | 不可以吗 |
[11:57] | There is that separation of church and state thing, | 有一条原则叫政教分离 |
[11:59] | remember? | 还记得吗 |
[12:01] | Yeah, but what I do as a lawyer | 没错 但我作为律师执业 |
[12:03] | isn’t state action, Lindsay. | 又不是政府行为 Lindsay |
[12:04] | Oh, please. | 哦 拜托 |
[12:06] | I think we should change the subject. | 我们还是换个话题吧 |
[12:12] | Exactly why did you | 你那天晚上究竟为什么 |
[12:13] | go to Rabbi Warner that night? | 要去找Warner拉比 |
[12:17] | Well, because I was in tremendous… | 呃 因为我当时感到无比的 |
[12:23] | I guess, rage. | 大概是愤怒 |
[12:25] | And because… | 因为 |
[12:28] | I could think only of killing Ronald Martin. | 我满脑子想的都是杀了Ronald Martin |
[12:32] | Did you expect… | 你是想 |
[12:34] | to change your mind? | 摆脱这个念头吗 |
[12:36] | No. No. | 不 不是 |
[12:37] | That’s not what it was about. | 不是这样的 |
[12:39] | What was it about? | 那是怎样的 |
[12:41] | I wanted to know if I was evil | 我想知道 我想杀Ronald Martin |
[12:45] | for wanting to kill Ronald Martin. | 的想法是不是罪恶的 |
[12:46] | I wanted to know if God would understand. | 我想知道上帝会不会理解我 |
[12:50] | And how did Rabbi Warner respond? | 那么Warner拉比是怎么说的 |
[12:53] | He said that God would understand. | 他说上帝会理解的 |
[12:55] | Did he say anything else? | 还说了其它的吗 |
[12:57] | He said that between Ronald Martin going free, | 他说在Ronald Martin无罪释放 |
[13:01] | and Ronald Martin being dead, | 和Ronald Martin死亡之间 |
[13:04] | it was more moral for him to be dead. | 让他死亡更符合道义 |
[13:13] | Mrs. White, thanks for coming. | White太太 谢谢你能来 |
[13:15] | What’s this all about? | 怎么回事 |
[13:18] | This is gonna sound a little bit out there, | 我可能有点儿多管闲事 |
[13:19] | but just the same, we… | 但我还是得说… |
[13:25] | You know, David and Melanie, maybe it would be best | David Melanie 你俩最好还是 |
[13:28] | for you two to wait outside at first | 先在外面等着 |
[13:30] | and I’ll call you back in later, okay? | 我一会儿喊你们进来 好吗 |
[13:32] | Okay. | 好的 |
[13:44] | It’s gonna hit the fan in there now. | 里面气氛肯定不轻松 |
[13:46] | Yeah, I know. | 是啊 |
[13:47] | How you feeling? | 感觉怎么样 |
[13:48] | Oh, I’m good. | 挺好的 |
[13:49] | As long as I sleep on my side | 只要我晚上睡觉的时候 |
[13:50] | and he doesn’t start kicking at night. | 小家伙不踢我就行 |
[13:52] | I hate the heartburn. | 我讨厌烧胃的感觉 |
[13:54] | Some people say that means he’s gonna be born with hair. | 听说这表示孩子出生的时候会有头发 |
[13:58] | You hope it’s just hair. | 最好是头发的缘故 |
[13:59] | We should have done that amnio thing. | 咱们真该去做个羊水诊断 |
[14:02] | So do you have kids? | 你有孩子吗 |
[14:05] | No. | 没有 |
[14:08] | I got out of the car. | 我下了车 |
[14:10] | I started walking toward him | 开始向他走去 |
[14:12] | with the gun in my hand. | 枪拿在我手上 |
[14:14] | So you went there to kill him? | 所以你到那里去就是要杀他的 |
[14:16] | Yeah, and I hoped I would. | 是的 我本来就是要杀他 |
[14:20] | But… | 但是 |
[14:23] | I also knew the reality of going through with it. | 我也知道这并不容易 |
[14:26] | And as I approached him, | 当我越走越近 |
[14:29] | I became | 我的内心变得 |
[14:30] | less and less sure that I would. | 越来越不确定了 |
[14:32] | Less sure? How? | 不确定 为什么呢 |
[14:34] | I kept expecting this impulse to suddenly | 我等待着某个意识 能突然… |
[14:43] | To suddenly tell me that I was about to do evil. | 突然告诉我说我将要行罪恶之事 |
[14:48] | I half expected something in my brain to say: | 我期待着内心有个声音对我说 |
[14:52] | Stop, this is wrong. | 住手 这是错误的 |
[14:56] | Did that impulse come? | 你等到这样的意识了吗 |
[14:58] | No. | 没有 |
[15:02] | And as I got to him | 当我走到他旁边的时候 |
[15:05] | the sensation that I felt was that | 我内心的感觉是 |
[15:09] | this was right. | 这样做是对的 |
[15:12] | Ronald Martin should be dead. | Ronald Martin确实该死 |
[15:14] | And as I raised the gun | 我举起枪来 |
[15:17] | and pointed it, | 指向他 |
[15:21] | I knew it more. | 内心更加坚定了 |
[15:23] | My hand didn’t shake. | 我的手没有发抖 |
[15:25] | It was steady. | 非常沉稳 |
[15:28] | When I pulled the trigger, | 当我扣动扳机 |
[15:31] | I saw the blood shoot out from his neck. | 我看到血从他的脖子上溅出来 |
[15:37] | I… | 我 |
[15:40] | I aimed for his head, | 我瞄准他的头 |
[15:42] | but I shot him in the neck. | 但却打中了他的脖子 |
[15:44] | In the throat. | 他的喉咙 |
[15:46] | And… | 我看到 |
[15:49] | I heard him choking. | 他窒息的样子 |
[15:51] | And I remember thinking… | 我当时想 |
[15:58] | this is godly. | 这是上帝的旨意 |
[16:01] | Because… | 因为 |
[16:03] | this man had strangled my daughter. | 他勒死了我的女儿 |
[16:07] | How fitting that… | 让他窒息而死 |
[16:10] | he should choke. | 正是应得的报应 |
[16:13] | That seemed to be… | 这仿佛是 |
[16:16] | the most godly thing in all of this. | 从头至尾最神圣的一刻 |
[16:21] | And… | 然后 |
[16:23] | Then I pulled the trigger again. | 我再次扣动扳机 |
[16:26] | I fired the gun, | 开了第二枪 |
[16:29] | and he was gone. | 然后他就死了 |
[16:32] | Do you regret killing Ronald Martin? | 你后悔杀了Ronald Martin吗 |
[16:37] | I… | 我 |
[16:42] | I regret the pain I brought his family. | 我很抱歉给他的家人带去痛苦 |
[16:46] | I know their pain. | 我体会过这种痛苦 |
[16:49] | But… | 但是 |
[16:51] | I believe it is just for him to be dead. | 我相信他的死是公正的 |
[16:55] | I… I do. I… | 我 我相信 |
[17:01] | I believe I owed it to my daughter to kill him. | 这是我应该为我女儿做的 |
[17:06] | And I pray to God… | 我 我祈求上帝 |
[17:13] | that she knows. | 她能够瞑目 |
[17:24] | Did you actually expect me to go along with this? | 你真的指望我会同意吗 |
[17:26] | Mrs. White, I don’t know you, | White太太 我并不认识你 |
[17:28] | and I have no expectations whatsoever. | 也没有对你抱特别的指望 |
[17:31] | I’m just saying that they say they love each other. | 我只是告诉你 他们说他们彼此相爱 |
[17:33] | They say they plan to be married one day. | 他们说将来要结婚 |
[17:36] | I’m saying he has a better chance of staying out of jail | 我是说如果他们现在结婚的话 |
[17:39] | if they get married now. | 他有可能不用进监狱 |
[17:41] | Do you even see how despicable this is? | 你难道不觉得这太荒谬了么 |
[17:44] | This may be in your daughter’s best interest. | 这样做或许对你女儿是最有利的 |
[17:47] | I’ve spoken to a social worker, | 我咨询过一位社工 |
[17:49] | and all I ask is that you meet with her, | 我只是请你跟她见个面 |
[17:51] | so that we can… | 我们才能… |
[17:54] | Mrs. White. | White太太 |
[18:03] | I have a son… | 我有个儿子 |
[18:05] | who’s a few years younger than your daughter. | 比你女儿小几岁 |
[18:07] | I know. | 我理解 |
[18:10] | Now, meet with the social worker. | 就跟社工见个面 |
[18:12] | If you’re still against it, | 如果到时候你还是不同意 |
[18:14] | I’ll respect that and back off. | 我尊重你的意见 绝不再多说 |
[18:15] | But your daughter wants to keep her baby. | 但是你的女儿想把孩子生下来 |
[18:18] | And this is more complicated than you know. | 这比你想象的要复杂的多 |
[18:23] | I just ask you to meet with the social worker. | 我只是请求你去见见社工 |
[18:28] | Please? | 拜托了 |
[18:34] | You did great. | 你表现得非常好 |
[18:36] | But now is where it gets tough. | 但接下来才是考验你的时候 |
[18:38] | Let me tell a few you things about Silverman: | 关于Silverman你要注意这么几点 |
[18:39] | He stays still, almost motionless sometimes. | 他动作很慢 有时候几乎纹丝不动 |
[18:42] | He’ll slowly move towards you. | 慢慢地向你靠近 |
[18:44] | He won’t shout, or thump his chest. | 他不会大声质问或者拍胸脯 |
[18:46] | He just moves in very slowly, | 只是非常缓慢地走过来 |
[18:48] | trying to intimidate you. | 试图吓唬你 |
[18:49] | They call him “The Picker-off.” | 他有个外号叫”梭鱼” |
[18:51] | Because he stands still, then he strikes. | 因为他先是静止不动 然后伺机攻击 |
[18:54] | You just speak from what’s in there. | 你只要如实陈述 |
[18:57] | Don’t fall for word games. | 不要死抠字眼 |
[18:59] | Don’t try to make the jury think | 不要试图在陪审团面前 |
[19:01] | you’re smarter than him. | 表现得你比他更高明 |
[19:02] | You don’t have to be careful here. | 没有必要小心翼翼 |
[19:04] | Everybody knows what you did. | 所有人都知道你干了什么事 |
[19:06] | And we’re not hiding anything. | 我们没有什么可隐瞒的 |
[19:12] | We’re back. | 该上庭了 |
[19:13] | All right. | 好吧 |
[19:14] | Thanks, Bobby. | 谢谢 Bobby |
[19:16] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[19:26] | I don’t mean to be harsh with you, Danny. | 我不是有意对你这么严厉 Danny |
[19:28] | Understand. | 请你理解 |
[19:29] | I got a defense here… | 我得为他辩护 |
[19:30] | I understand you perfectly. | 我完全理解你 |
[19:43] | She’ll be here any second. | 她应该马上就到 |
[19:44] | I called their office again. | 我刚刚又给他们办公室打了电话 |
[19:45] | Okay. Thank you. | 好的 谢谢 |
[19:52] | There he goes again. Feel. | 他又踢我了 你摸摸 |
[19:55] | He’s a little rascal, isn’t he? | 看来是个淘气鬼 |
[19:57] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[20:00] | That one kind of hurt. | 这下儿可有点疼 |
[20:02] | Mama? | 妈妈 |
[20:04] | I really wanna keep my baby. | 我真的想要这个孩子 |
[20:06] | I know that I can take care of him. I know I can. | 我可以照顾好他 我一定行 |
[20:09] | We talked about this before, Melanie. | 我们已经谈过这个问题了 Melanie |
[20:11] | You’re 14 years old, you have school. | 你才14岁 你还要上学 |
[20:14] | And you have your life ahead of you. | 你的整个人生才刚开始 |
[20:19] | Mommy. | 妈 |
[20:22] | This is my baby. | 他是我的孩子 |
[20:29] | Hi, are you Melanie? | 嗨 你是Melanie吗 |
[20:34] | Mr. Silverman, you can begin. | Silverman先生 你可以开始了 |
[20:51] | You were aware of what you were doing | 你杀死Ronald Martin的时候 |
[20:52] | when you killed Martin? | 神智清楚? |
[20:54] | Acutely. | 非常清楚 |
[20:56] | And you felt God would understand your doing this? | 你觉得上帝会理解你的所作所为 |
[21:00] | I wasn’t sure. | 我当时并不确定 |
[21:02] | That’s why I went to my rabbi. | 所以才去找我的拉比 |
[21:05] | Is it your thinking that | 你是否认为 |
[21:07] | one may commit a premeditated murder | 只要认识一个罪恶的拉比 |
[21:09] | so long as he gets a note from his rabbi? | 人们就可以任意实施有预谋的谋杀 |
[21:12] | The jury heard my thinking, | 陪审团听清我是怎么想的了 |
[21:14] | Mr. Silverman. | Silverman先生 |
[21:15] | Is it your belief… | 你今天坐在法庭上 |
[21:19] | sitting here today in this courtroom | 内心是否坚信 |
[21:23] | that God would embrace your bloodletting? | 上帝会理解你的杀戮 |
[21:26] | It is. | 我坚信 |
[21:27] | Would you care to offer authority for this position? | 能说说你的依据何在吗 |
[21:30] | Exodus: | 《出埃及记》 |
[21:32] | “He who fatally strikes a man shall be put to death.” | 打人以致打死的 必要把他治死 |
[21:36] | Genesis: | 《创世纪》 |
[21:37] | “Whoever sheds the blood of a man, | 凡流人血的 |
[21:39] | by man shall his blood be shed.” | 他的血也必被人所流 |
[21:42] | Then according to Exodus and Genesis, | 那么根据《出埃及记》和《创世纪》 |
[21:47] | should you now be put to death? | 你现在也应该被处死吗 |
[21:49] | I didn’t take an innocent life. | 我没有剥夺无辜者的性命 |
[21:51] | According to the Torah, | 根据《摩西五经》 |
[21:53] | Ronald Martin had forfeited his right to live | Ronald Martin因为谋杀无辜者 |
[21:56] | by murdering an innocent person. | 而丧失了生存的权利 |
[21:58] | I had a Jewish right to do what I did. | 按照犹太教义 我有权那样做 |
[22:01] | -Jewish right? -A Jewish right. | -犹太教义? -犹太教义 |
[22:04] | I’ll assume you’re aware of the Talmud’s view on | 看来你并不了解《犹太法典》 |
[22:06] | capital punishment. | 对于死刑的态度 |
[22:07] | I’ll assume you’re aware that when Eichmann | 我想你应该知道艾赫曼 |
[22:10] | directed the murder of 6 million people | 组织屠杀了600万犹太人 |
[22:12] | we kidnapped him, brought him to Jerusalem | 我们绑架他 把他带回耶路撒冷 |
[22:15] | and hanged him. | 判了他绞刑 |
[22:16] | And then we cheered. | 我们为此而欢呼 |
[22:17] | Eichmann was responsible for mass murder. | 艾赫曼实施的是大屠杀 |
[22:19] | Are you comparing Ronald Martin to Eichmann? | 你把Ronald Martin比作艾赫曼吗 |
[22:23] | I’m suggesting that sometimes vengeance is right. | 我是说 有时候复仇是正当的 |
[22:28] | And I won’t let you stand up there, as a rabbi… | 我不会让你作为拉比站在那里 |
[22:31] | Move to strike. | 请求不予记录 |
[22:32] | This is my day in court, Rabbi! Not yours! | 接受审判的人是我而不是你 拉比 |
[22:35] | All right! Silence! | 好了 肃静 |
[22:37] | Be quiet. | 肃静 |
[22:39] | The witness may finish. | 证人继续陈述 |
[22:45] | You come into this room, | 你站在法庭上 |
[22:48] | wearing your yarmulke, | 戴着你的小圆帽 |
[22:50] | to send a message to that jury | 向陪审团传达的信息是 |
[22:53] | that you condemn me as a Jew. | 你谴责我的犹太身份 |
[22:55] | No, Dr. Braun. | 你错了 Braun医生 |
[22:59] | I condemn you as a murderer. | 我谴责你的谋杀行为 |
[23:01] | But, Rabbi, | 但是 拉比 |
[23:02] | you’re in here as a Jew. | 你是以犹太人的身份站在这里 |
[23:05] | And you’re testifying as a Jew, | 而你以犹太身份坐在这里 |
[23:07] | that you had the right to commit a religious murder? | 辩解说你有权实施宗教谋杀 |
[23:11] | Because to forgive a murderer | 因为宽恕谋杀犯 |
[23:12] | is not the Jewish way. | 不符合犹太人的处事原则 |
[23:14] | You mean, it’s not your way. | 你是说不符合你的处事原则 |
[23:16] | When God confronted Cain after the murder of Abel, | 该隐杀害了亚伯之后 |
[23:18] | he didn’t forgive him. | 上帝并没有宽恕他 |
[23:20] | He shouted out to him, “Your brother’s blood | 他吼道 你兄弟的血 |
[23:23] | cries out to me from the ground.” | 有声音从地里向我哀告 |
[23:25] | God shouted that. | 上帝是这样说的 |
[23:26] | And God shouted out to you? | 上帝也这样对你说了吗 |
[23:29] | No. My daughter did! | 不 我女儿对我说的 |
[23:34] | Her blood cried out to me. | 她的血向我哀告 |
[23:37] | Her blood. | 她的血 |
[23:41] | And that’s the real truth, | 这才是事实真相 |
[23:42] | isn’t it, Dr. Braun? | 对吗 Braun医生 |
[23:45] | When you raised that gun, | 当你举起枪 |
[23:47] | you didn’t hear Exodus or Genesis. | 你没有想到《出埃及记》或《创世纪》 |
[23:51] | You didn’t hear the Talmud or the Torah. | 没有想到《犹太法典》或者《摩西五经》 |
[23:53] | You didn’t see God. | 没有想到上帝 |
[23:55] | You only saw your daughter’s blood. | 你眼前只看到你女儿的血 |
[24:02] | And that’s the real truth. | 这才是事实真相 |
[24:10] | This isn’t just changing diapers or taking care of a baby. | 这不光是换尿布或照看婴儿 |
[24:13] | This is raising a child. | 你们是要养育一个孩子 |
[24:15] | Do you think you really know what that entails? | 你们真的明白这意味着什么吗 |
[24:18] | Probably not, but we’re ready to learn. | 也许不明白 但是我们会努力学 |
[24:22] | Forget the “takes a village” crap. | 别相信《举全村之力》之类的鬼话 |
[24:24] | The village is out of order. | 那都是胡扯 |
[24:26] | The child needs parents. | 孩子需要父母 |
[24:28] | Look, we’ll do whatever we have to. | 我们会竭尽所能 |
[24:31] | How long have you two been together? | 你们俩在一起多久了 |
[24:34] | Will they arrest me again if I tell? | 如果我告诉她 会不会又被捕 |
[24:37] | No. | 不会 |
[24:39] | Almost two years. | 差不多两年了 |
[24:40] | Do you have a place of dwelling? | 你自己有住的地方吗 |
[24:42] | Yes. I have a two-bedroom in Brighton. | 有 我在Brighton有一套两居室的房子 |
[24:45] | We plan to turn the extra room into a nursery. | 我准备把其中一间布置成儿童房 |
[24:49] | How much money do you make? | 你收入怎么样 |
[24:51] | $660 a week. | 周薪660 |
[24:52] | But I’m supposed to be promoted to foreman in October, | 十月份应该会升成主管 |
[24:55] | which takes me to $ 725. | 到时候就有725了 |
[24:58] | Plus, I get insurance for Melanie and the baby. | 而且我会给Melanie和孩子买保险 |
[25:01] | And I’m not covered right now. | 我现在还没有保险 |
[25:07] | Do you work, ma’am? | 你有工作吗 夫人 |
[25:10] | I work for a courier service. | 我在快递公司上班 |
[25:12] | And how much do you make? | 工资有多少 |
[25:14] | $490 a week. | 周薪490 |
[25:28] | Danny Danny. | |
[25:30] | It’s 10:30. | 已经十点半了 |
[25:40] | Couldn’t sleep. | 我睡不着 |
[25:48] | Closing arguments? | 在准备结案陈词 |
[25:51] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[25:55] | Bobby Bobby. | |
[26:01] | You and I go back to high school together. | 还记得我们高中的时候吗 |
[26:06] | I understand Gerald doing what he did. | 我能理解Gerald的做法 |
[26:12] | But you… | 但是你 |
[26:16] | Say what you have to say. | 有话就直说吧 |
[26:18] | You know Gerald Braun | 你了解Gerald Braun |
[26:21] | like you know me. | 就像了解我一样 |
[26:24] | You had to know he was considering to go out | 你肯定知道他打算出去 |
[26:26] | and shoot Ronald Martin. | 杀了Ronald Martin |
[26:29] | You may not have thought he was going to, | 你或许并不认为他一定会去 |
[26:31] | but you knew, | 但是你一定知道 |
[26:32] | there was a possibility, Danny. | 有这个可能性 Danny |
[26:33] | You think I wanted him to execute Ronald Martin? | 你觉得我希望他去杀了Ronald Martin |
[26:36] | I think that you could have stopped him, | 我觉得你本可以阻止他 |
[26:38] | and you didn’t. | 但是你没有 |
[26:40] | Guilty by commission or omission, it doesn’t matter. | 不管是有意还是无意 都不重要 |
[26:42] | But invoking God to excuse you, Danny? | 但是拿上帝来为自己开脱 Danny |
[26:46] | It just, it… | 我觉得 |
[26:49] | It makes me ill. | 我觉得很反感 |
[26:50] | This from a man who routinely defends murderers. | 一个每天给杀人犯辩护的人还说这话 |
[26:53] | We both chose our professions. | 我们选择了不同的职业 |
[26:54] | I’m a criminal defense attorney. | 我是刑事辩护律师 |
[26:56] | They see me coming. | 那是我的职责 |
[26:58] | You’re a rabbi. | 你可是个拉比 |
[27:03] | When Donna Braun was murdered, | Donna Braun被杀之后 |
[27:07] | Jerry Jerry… | |
[27:09] | Jerry, he became lost. | Jerry 他迷失了自我 |
[27:15] | And so did you. | 你也一样 |
[27:30] | There’s an ancient custom in Jewish law. | 在犹太律法中有个古老的说法 |
[27:34] | Translated, it means | 翻译过来是说 |
[27:35] | if a Jew is found murdered, | 如果一个犹太人被谋杀了 |
[27:37] | let him be buried in his bloody clothes. | 让他身着血衣入葬 |
[27:41] | We bury him as we found him, | 我们让他保持被杀害时的样子 |
[27:43] | to provoke in people fury and the desire to avenge. | 以此激起人们的愤怒和复仇的渴望 |
[27:50] | Donna Braun Donna Braun | |
[27:52] | was buried in the clothes she was strangled in. | 身穿她被勒死时的衣服入葬 |
[27:57] | Does this make vengeance right? | 这是否意味着复仇就是正当的 |
[27:59] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[28:00] | But it does help explain | 但可以帮我们理解 |
[28:02] | the mindset of Gerald Braun. | Gerald Braun的心理状态 |
[28:05] | Filled with the rage over his daughter’s murder, | 女儿的被害让他内心充满悲愤 |
[28:10] | instilled with the religious doctrine | 他的宗教信仰告诉他 |
[28:13] | that anyone who takes an innocent life, | 取无辜者性命之人 |
[28:16] | must forfeit his life. | 必为之偿命 |
[28:19] | It becomes easy to see | 我们清楚地看到 |
[28:21] | why Gerald Braun was so impassioned | 为什么Gerald Braun如此强烈地 |
[28:24] | to believe he was right. | 相信自己是正确的 |
[28:28] | He went to his own rabbi | 他去找自己的拉比 |
[28:31] | who compounded this passion | 拉比告诉他 |
[28:33] | by saying it was more moral for Ronald Martin to be dead | 让Ronald Martin死亡比无罪释放 |
[28:36] | than free. | 更符合道义 |
[28:38] | And the mixture of this religious influence | 在这样的宗教观念 |
[28:40] | and his own rage and religious pain, | 以及愤怒和痛苦的共同影响下 |
[28:43] | he marched toward Ronald Martin | 他走向Ronald Martin |
[28:45] | with a loaded gun in his hand. | 手里拿着上了膛的枪 |
[28:47] | And with each step, as he got closer and closer | 当他一步步 一步步 走近那个 |
[28:51] | to the man who choked the life out of his only daughter, | 勒死了他的独生女儿的男人 |
[28:54] | he waited for the impulse to tell him, “Stop!” | 他等待有个意识冒出来对他说 住手 |
[29:00] | Instead… | 但是 |
[29:04] | he saw… | 他看到了 |
[29:06] | Donna’s face. | Donna的面孔 |
[29:12] | He heard the passages | 他听到《出埃及记》 |
[29:14] | from Exodus and Leviticus. | 和《利未记》里的教导 |
[29:18] | “Eye for an eye. | 以眼还眼 |
[29:19] | He who sheds the blood of man, vengeance is mine.” | 凡流人血的 伸冤在我 |
[29:23] | God said that. | 上帝就是这样说的 |
[29:24] | “Vengeance is mine!” | 伸冤在我 |
[29:27] | And suddenly that night, | 那天晚上 |
[29:28] | vengeance was Gerald Braun’s. | 伸冤在于Gerold Braun |
[29:31] | In the heat of moral and religious passion, | 在道德和宗教的情感驱使之下 |
[29:34] | in the heat of horrible grief, | 在无法承受的痛苦之中 |
[29:36] | vengeance became his. | 伸冤在他 |
[29:42] | Was he right? | 他做得对吗 |
[29:44] | No. | 不对 |
[29:47] | Does this man belong in prison? | 他该进监狱吗 |
[29:52] | Of course not. | 当然不 |
[29:54] | For whatever reason, | 不管出于什么原因 |
[29:55] | Gerald Braun felt | Gerald Braun觉得 |
[29:57] | he was in God’s hands that night. | 那晚是上帝之手在掌控着他 |
[30:03] | But there’s no doubt, ladies and gentlemen of the jury. | 毫无疑问 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[30:09] | Today… | 今天 |
[30:13] | he’s now in yours. | 他的命运在你们手上 |
[30:34] | I ask not that you abandon your compassion for this man. | 我并不要求你们抛开对被告的同情 |
[30:37] | I ask simply | 我只是要求 |
[30:39] | that you not be blinded by it. | 你们不要被同情心蒙蔽了双眼 |
[30:42] | We could pass a law… | 我们本可以制定法律 |
[30:43] | permitting parents to avenge the deaths | 允许父母为自己 |
[30:46] | of their murdered children. | 被杀害的孩子复仇 |
[30:47] | We choose not to. | 但我们没有这样做 |
[30:51] | We could pass a law… | 我们本可以制定法律 |
[30:52] | permitting religion to be an excuse | 以宗教理由豁免 |
[30:54] | for certain types of homicides. | 特定类型的谋杀犯罪 |
[30:56] | We choose not to. | 但我们没有这样做 |
[30:58] | We could live in a society… | 我们的社会本可以 |
[31:00] | that considers revenge murder to be moral. | 视复仇谋杀为符合道义 |
[31:03] | We choose not to. | 但我们还是没有这样做 |
[31:05] | Now, this man, by his own admission | 而这个人 他自己承认 |
[31:08] | knowingly and reflectively | 他深思熟虑 |
[31:10] | executed another human being. | 杀害了另一个人 |
[31:13] | You heard that defendant accuse me | 你们听到被告指责我 |
[31:16] | of being here, both as a rabbi and a district attorney. | 以拉比和检察官的双重身份出庭 |
[31:21] | In truth, I am here three-fold: | 实际上 我是以三重身份站在这里 |
[31:25] | A lawyer, a rabbi and a man. | 检察官 拉比 以及一个普通人 |
[31:29] | And when he suggests to this jury | 当他请求陪审团 |
[31:33] | that you ignore the clear intent of law | 忽略法律的清晰明确的规定时 |
[31:36] | he offends my sensibilities as a district attorney. | 他冒犯了我的检察官职业 |
[31:41] | And when he champions | 当他鼓吹 |
[31:43] | revenge murder as being in keeping with Judaism | 复仇谋杀是他作为犹太人的原则 |
[31:47] | he offends me as a rabbi. | 他侮辱了我的拉比身份 |
[31:50] | And when he claims that what he did was moral | 而当他声称自己的所作所为是道义的 |
[31:54] | he offends morality itself. | 他又羞辱了道义本身 |
[31:57] | And I take it personally as a man. | 而且伤害了我作为普通人的感情 |
[32:05] | It would be a great insult to human nature | 从人的本性角度来讲 |
[32:08] | not to understand why he did this | 我们都理解他的行为 |
[32:10] | but it is an even greater outrage to mankind to tolerate it. | 但是纵容这种行为则是人类的耻辱 |
[32:17] | Any and every trial, ultimately, | 所有的审判 最终 |
[32:22] | becomes about the truth. | 都归结于真相 |
[32:27] | And the truth | 而真相 |
[32:29] | which each and every one of you swore to | 是你们每一位都曾宣誓 |
[32:37] | was to uphold the law. | 遵照法律去捍卫的 |
[33:01] | You are proposing, | 你是说 |
[33:02] | instead of Mr. Piper going to jail for statutory rape, | Pepper先生不仅不必因为奸淫幼女入狱 |
[33:06] | he should be allowed to go free | 反而该把他无罪释放 |
[33:08] | so he can marry the victim? | 好让他和受害者结婚 |
[33:12] | Your Honor, I would ask you to consider the following. | 法官阁下 我想请你考虑以下因素 |
[33:14] | I won’t consider anything that escapes your mouth, counsel. | 我不会考虑你说的任何因素 |
[33:16] | You’re here representing him. | 你代表的是他的立场 |
[33:18] | I’m more concerned about her. | 我更关心她的感受 |
[33:19] | She’s 14 years old, for God’s sake. | 看在上帝的份上 她才十四岁 |
[33:21] | Which is why I’ve brought | 所以我请来了 |
[33:22] | Cindy McGuire from Child Welfare. | 儿童福利部的Cindy McGuire |
[33:27] | You’re recommending this? | 你也建议这么做吗 |
[33:28] | The idea makes me nauseous. | 我对这个建议无比厌恶 |
[33:30] | But my concern is for the girl and for the baby. | 但我得为这个女孩和她的孩子考虑 |
[33:33] | And? | 所以呢 |
[33:35] | This man seems able to provide a home. | 被告看起来可以带给他们一个完整的家 |
[33:36] | If he goes to jail, we’re likely looking at | 如果他进了监狱 很有可能 |
[33:38] | a foster home for the child. Plus… | 孩子得被人领养 而且… |
[33:40] | What about the grandmother? | 孩子的外婆呢 |
[33:42] | Then we’re looking at welfare. | 那就得靠救济金了 |
[33:43] | She can’t afford to take care of a baby. | 她养不起这个孩子 |
[33:45] | With all due respect to my bias, Your Honor. | 恕我直言 法官阁下 |
[33:47] | This isn’t unprecedented. | 这种情况并非没有先例 |
[33:49] | These kinds of marriages have been | 以前也有过这种建议 |
[33:50] | recommended before with minors | 未成年人结婚的情况 |
[33:52] | when the sex is consensual, | 只要是自愿发生性关系 |
[33:53] | both partners are committed to marriage | 双方都愿意结婚 |
[33:55] | and the father is the only real means of financial support. | 且父亲是孩子唯一的经济来源 |
[33:58] | That’s what we’ve got here. | 我们所面临的情况正是如此 |
[34:01] | That doesn’t make it any less putrid. | 即便如此 我还是觉得恶心透顶 |
[34:04] | What the hell kind of message does this send? | 这将向社会传达一种什么样的信号 |
[34:07] | You can commit statutory rape | 你可以随便奸淫幼女 |
[34:08] | so long as you marry the child after? | 只要事后和受害人结婚就行了吗 |
[34:10] | Okay, look. | 听我说 |
[34:11] | There are a hundred reasons to condemn the idea. | 你有无数种理由去谴责这个建议 |
[34:14] | But the fact is, | 但实际上 |
[34:15] | I’m not here to send a message to society. | 我不是来向社会传达什么信息的 |
[34:18] | I’ve got a pregnant 14-year-old girl. | 我面对的是一个怀孕的十四岁女孩 |
[34:21] | I’m trying to figure out what’s best for her. | 我只想尽力设法维护她的利益 |
[34:23] | What’s best for this one particular baby. | 维护孩子的利益 |
[34:25] | My recommendation is that you give them a chance. | 我的建议是你给他们一个机会 |
[34:32] | Mrs. White? | White女士 |
[34:35] | My daughter wants to raise her child, Your Honor. | 我女儿想把孩子养大 法官阁下 |
[34:38] | She wants her baby to have a father. | 她想让她的孩子有个父亲 |
[34:41] | And they love each other. | 而且他们彼此相爱 |
[34:44] | So… | 所以 |
[34:46] | I’m not a judge, I… | 我不是法官 我… |
[34:48] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[34:54] | Something tells me I’m gonna wake up tomorrow morning | 估计我明天早上醒来的时候 |
[34:56] | feeling sick about this. | 会为这个决定感到恶心 |
[34:57] | But for now, I’m… | 但目前 我决定… |
[34:59] | going to accept Ms. McGuire’s recommendation, | 接受McGuire女士的建议 |
[35:02] | conditioned on marriage counseling to begin immediately. | 条件是你们立即开始参加婚姻咨询 |
[35:09] | You may not like it, young lady, | 这话你可能不爱听 小姑娘 |
[35:11] | but believe it or not, | 不过相信我 |
[35:11] | 14-year-olds still have things to learn. | 你才十四岁 还有很多东西要学 |
[35:13] | I’m not groaning about that, Your Honor. | 我不是不爱听 法官阁下 |
[35:20] | I think my water just broke. | 我的羊水好像破了 |
[35:21] | What? | 什么 |
[35:22] | Adjourned. Go. Go, go, go. | 休庭 快去医院 |
[35:24] | Somebody call 911. | 快叫救护车 |
[35:31] | The jury has come back with a question. | 陪审团提了个问题 |
[35:33] | They want to know if manslaughter is an option. | 他们问能不能判”非蓄谋杀人” |
[35:37] | Which means… | 也就是说 |
[35:38] | that they don’t want to find him guilty of murder. | 他们不想判谋杀罪 |
[35:40] | But nor do they want to see him walk free. | 但是也不想把他无罪释放 |
[35:43] | Now, which prospect they dislike more, | 究竟他们更倾向哪个 |
[35:46] | that’s anybody’s guess. | 谁都无法预料 |
[35:51] | So who’s gonna blink? | 看你们谁让步 |
[36:01] | I would be open to a plea bargain for manslaughter. | 我同意以非蓄谋杀人罪和解 |
[36:09] | -No. -If they come back guilty, | -不行 -如果他们判你有罪 |
[36:11] | you are going away for a long time, Jerry. | 你就要把牢底坐穿了 Jerry |
[36:14] | Manslaughter, | 判非蓄谋杀人 |
[36:15] | I can get most or all of it suspended. | 我可以让大部分刑期暂缓执行 |
[36:17] | If Silverman’s offering it, | Silverman同意和解 |
[36:18] | he probably thinks he’s losing. | 也许是因为他觉得自己会输 |
[36:21] | Dr. Braun, listen to me. | Braun医生 听我说 |
[36:22] | There’s no possible way to tell on this. | 我们真的没办法确定 |
[36:27] | I think that you should take it. | 我认为你应该接受这个条件 |
[36:35] | No. | 不行 |
[36:36] | -Gerald, please. -I said no. | -Gerald 求你了 -我说了不行 |
[36:39] | Damn it. | 该死的 |
[36:40] | This isn’t just about you. | 这不是你一个人的事 |
[36:44] | What am I going to do if you go away? | 如果你进去了 我怎么办 |
[36:48] | I don’t know how we’re going to get through any of this. | 我不知道我们要怎么熬过这一切 |
[36:51] | But if we’re not together, | 但如果不能在一起的话 |
[36:53] | we don’t have a chance. | 我们就肯定挺不过去 |
[36:57] | Damn it. | 该死 |
[37:00] | Jerry Jerry. | |
[37:08] | I could survive being found guilty. | 我宁愿接受有罪判决 |
[37:11] | I could survive being exonerated. | 我也可以接受无罪判决 |
[37:15] | But in-between? | 但妥协其间 |
[37:19] | I don’t think I could survive that. | 我觉得我可能承受不了 |
[37:24] | I know that’s hard to understand. | 我知道这很难理解 |
[37:27] | But I can’t accept manslaughter. | 但是我不能接受非蓄谋杀人 |
[37:54] | Fully dilated. | 宫颈已经充分扩张 |
[37:55] | Any minute. | 孩子随时可能降生 |
[37:56] | All right. | 太好了 |
[37:57] | How’d it go in court? | 法院那边怎么样 |
[38:00] | Great. | 很好 |
[38:01] | Judge is gonna let them marry. | 法官同意让他们结婚了 |
[38:05] | What the hell am I doing, Beck? | 我这是在干什么 Beck |
[38:07] | She’s 14, I’m asking a judge… | 她才十四岁 我却请求法官 |
[38:09] | What the hell am I doing? | 我到底在干什么 |
[38:11] | She’s trying to keep her family together. | 她只是想有个完整的家庭 |
[38:15] | She’s 14. What does she know? | 她才十四岁 她懂什么 |
[38:19] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[38:21] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[38:28] | I got pregnant when I was 15. | 十五岁那年 我也怀过一次 |
[38:34] | And? | 后来呢 |
[38:40] | For me, it was the right decision. | 对我来说是个正确的决定 |
[38:44] | I mean, I was 15, | 我才十五岁 带着个孩子 |
[38:45] | what was I gonna do with a baby? | 我怎么办 |
[38:50] | But not a day goes by that I don’t think about it. | 但是从那以后 我没有一天不在想他 |
[38:57] | Yeah, Beck. | 是啊 Beck |
[39:00] | But she’s 14… | 但她才十四岁 |
[39:02] | having a baby and planning to get married. | 就生下孩子 准备结婚 |
[39:07] | Yeah, but she’s a girl who’s listening to some | 是啊 但是她听从了来自内心的声音 |
[39:10] | voice inside telling her what she thinks is right. | 去做她认为是正确的事 |
[39:17] | And I don’t know, Eugene. | 我不知道 Eugene |
[39:20] | Maybe she is right. | 也许她是对的 |
[39:25] | I hope she is. | 我希望她是对的 |
[39:48] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[39:59] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[40:01] | have you reached a verdict? | 你们达成一致的判决了吗 |
[40:02] | We have. | 是的 |
[40:03] | Please proceed. | 请宣布判决 |
[40:05] | On the charge of murder in the first degree, | 关于一级谋杀罪的指控 |
[40:08] | we find the defendant, Gerald Braun, | 我们判决被告 Gerald Braun |
[40:12] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[40:18] | On the charge of murder in the second degree, | 关于二级谋杀罪的指控 |
[40:21] | we find the defendant, Gerald Braun, | 我们判决被告 Gerald Braun |
[40:24] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[40:26] | Yes. | 太好了 |
[40:34] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[40:37] | you are dismissed. | 你们可以解散了 |
[40:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:58] | Danny Danny. | |
[41:05] | It’s a great, great day. | 今天是非常美好的一天 |
[41:07] | One at a time. | 一个一个问 |
[41:34] | You did it. | 你成功了 |
[41:37] | Actually, you did it, Danny. | 其实是你成功了 Danny |
[41:39] | Credit should go to you. | 这一切得归功于你 |
[41:41] | We went with your theory, | 我们按你的思路辩护 |
[41:42] | and the jury agreed. | 陪审团认同了 |
[41:44] | The execution was moral. | 处死他是符合道义的 |
[41:50] | The accessory charge against me, it still stands? | 针对我的协同谋杀指控还成立吗 |
[41:53] | That would be tough to make now. | 现在很难成立了 |
[41:56] | I wouldn’t worry about it. | 不用担心 |
[42:03] | I was… | 我在想 |
[42:06] | I was thinking about maybe getting | 我在考虑也许该 |
[42:09] | another lawyer to handle it. | 换个律师来处理我的案子 |
[42:12] | I figured you gotta be fried now. | 我想你现在一定是精疲力尽了 |
[42:16] | Maybe somebody else should handle it. | 也许应该换个人来做 |
[42:23] | That’s probably best. | 也许这样最好 |
[42:33] | Well… again, | 我还要再说一遍 |
[42:36] | great job. | 你做的很棒 |
[42:40] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[42:45] | Danny Danny. | |
[42:52] | Go with God. | 听从上帝的旨意 |
[42:59] | You too. | 你也是 |
[43:24] | Isn’t he beautiful? | 他漂亮吧 |
[43:27] | Oh, yeah. | 是啊 |
[43:30] | So much hair. | 头发真浓 |
[43:35] | How about that, huh? | 其乐融融 不是吗 |
[43:39] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[43:41] | How about that? | 其乐融融 |