时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | That’s me. Right there. | 这个人是我 |
[00:02] | And that’s the guy with the gym bag. | 这是那个背着健身包的人 |
[00:04] | That’s me coming over.I was merely doing my job. | 我走过来 只是履行我的工作职责 |
[00:07] | What did you say to this man? | 你对他说什么了 |
[00:09] | Well, I don’t remember my exact words, | 原话我记不清了 |
[00:11] | but I told him he couldn’t leave the store | 我告诉他必须检查他的包 |
[00:12] | until I checked the contents of his bag. | 否则他不能离开 |
[00:15] | When I asked to look in his bag,he got all belligerent. | 我要求看他的包 他突然就发飙了 |
[00:18] | That’s when he came over. | 这时候他就过来了 |
[00:19] | Who? | 谁 |
[00:20] | That man right there. | 那个人 |
[00:21] | And then what happened? | 就是他 |
[00:23] | He started hassling me, | 他开始跟我争辩 |
[00:24] | and I explained to him it was none of his business. | 我解释说不关他的事 |
[00:26] | Would he please step back | 请他让开 |
[00:27] | He continued.I asked him to step back again | 他不听 我再次要求他让开 |
[00:29] | and that’s when this kid with the gym bag | 这时候 那个背健身包的孩子 |
[00:31] | slams me into the display case. | 猛地把我推倒在展示柜上 |
[00:34] | I regain my balance, | 我爬起来 |
[00:35] | and suddenly there’s these other kids that join him. | 突然 其他这些孩子也冲上来了 |
[00:37] | They’re hitting me out of nowhere. | 他们不由分说地就打我 |
[00:39] | They throw me to the ground. | 把我摔倒在地 |
[00:40] | They start punching me and kicking me. | 他们开始对我拳打脚踢 |
[00:42] | Where is the defendant now? | 被告这时候在哪里 |
[00:43] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[00:45] | Okay. The tape has been edited to seven minutes later. | 录像经过剪辑 现在是七分钟之后 |
[00:49] | Can you describe to us what’s happening now? | 你能不能向我们描述一下现在的情况 |
[00:52] | Well, as you can see. | 如你所见 |
[00:53] | We were overrun with people coming in from outside | 到处都是人 他们从外面冲进来 |
[00:55] | stealing things and running out again. | 偷了东西跑出去 然后又跑回来偷 |
[00:58] | And what is the defendant doing at this time? | 这时候被告在做什么 |
[01:00] | He was over me at one point.There! Right there! | 他又过来找我 这里 就是这里 |
[01:03] | He’s coming back. Grabs me. | 他回来了 他在拽我 |
[01:04] | The guard pulls him off,he throws him into a table. | 保安把他拉开 他把保安推向桌子 |
[01:08] | The guard continues his attempt to detain him and… Here! | 保安继续试图制服他 这里 |
[01:12] | He just… They scuffle a bit.The guy just went crazy. | 他 他们往前挪了几步 这个人已经疯了 |
[01:15] | The guy being? | 这个人指的是? |
[01:17] | That man right there. The defendant. | 就是他 被告 |
[01:19] | He throws him two punches to the face. | 他对着他脸上打了两拳 |
[01:22] | Watch. Here it comes, bang, bang. | 看 打了 砰 砰 |
[01:27] | And then he just throws him through the glass. | 然后他就把他扔出了窗子 |
[02:22] | Overshadowing the facts is the ongoing controversy | 法庭裁定案件不在波士顿审理 |
[02:25] | about the court’s relocating of the trial outside Boston. | 这引起了持续的争议 |
[02:28] | And the question of whether Aaron Wilton | 同时 人们也在关注Aaron Wilton |
[02:31] | the African-American man accused of aggravated assault | 这位被控在SaveWorld恶性骚乱事件中 |
[02:34] | in the infamous SaveWorld Riot, | 犯有加重的企图伤害罪的非洲裔美国人 |
[02:36] | can receive a fair trial | 能否在Wellesley郊区 |
[02:38] | from the all-white jury here in suburban Wellesley. | 全白人组成的陪审团面前得到公正的审判 |
[02:40] | This is Melanie Morris, News 8. | 我是第八新闻台的Melanie Morris |
[02:44] | “The African-American accused of aggravated assault.” | “被控加重的企图伤害罪的非洲裔美国人” |
[02:47] | That’s what they call me. | 他们就这样称呼我 |
[02:49] | Instead of the guy who was trying to stick up | 我本来是为被无端指责盗窃的 |
[02:52] | for an innocent guy accused of shoplifting | 无辜者打抱不平的人 |
[02:54] | l’m the African-American who caused the riot. | 结果却成了导致骚乱的非洲裔美国人 |
[02:57] | And I don’t get to tell my side? | 你们却不让我出庭辩解? |
[02:58] | If we put you on the stand,Aaron, | 如果我们让你作证 |
[03:00] | that old conviction could be evidence. | 你的前科就会被翻出来作为证据 |
[03:02] | That was a hundred years ago.He was 18. | 那是几百年前的事了 他那时才18岁 |
[03:04] | Even so, the jury doesn’t need to hear about it. | 即便如此 陪审团没有必要知道这些 |
[03:06] | That all-white jury? | 你是说那个完全白人组成的陪审团? |
[03:08] | That’s what you get in Wellesley. | 在Wellesley只有这样的陪审团 |
[03:09] | We didn’t have a choice. | 我们别无选择 |
[03:11] | It gives us greater grounds for appeal. | 这为我们的上诉提供了更充分的理由 |
[03:14] | If we need it. | 如果我们需要上诉的话 |
[03:16] | A business degree from U. Mass | 我拥有麻省大学的商学学位 |
[03:18] | vice president in a Fortune 500 company. | 担任《财富》500强公司的副总裁 |
[03:21] | I go shopping for a pair of cross-trainers | 我只是去买个健身器材 |
[03:22] | and suddenly I’m big news? | 突然就成了媒体的焦点 |
[03:24] | You’re big news | 你成为媒体的焦点 |
[03:25] | because you threw a guy through a window. | 是因为你把别人扔出了窗外 |
[03:32] | It really was the perfect wedding. | 真的是完美的婚礼 |
[03:34] | Well, it’s not polite for me to say, | 我这么说不太礼貌 |
[03:36] | but people did tell us | 但人们确实告诉我们说 |
[03:37] | that it was the most elegant affair they’d ever been to. | 这是他们经历过的最精致讲究的婚礼 |
[03:40] | You had a nice time? Ellie. | 你玩得愉快不 Ellie |
[03:42] | I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to see you. | 对不起我没时间跟你打声招呼 |
[03:44] | Well, there were a lot of people there | 嗯 人好多啊 |
[03:45] | and I was sitting at the cousin’s table. | 我跟表亲们坐在一桌 |
[03:48] | This dress right here,completely handmade. | 看这件礼服 纯手工制作 |
[03:51] | So, Myra, the reason you’re here? | Myra 你今天来是因为 |
[03:54] | The honeymoon. I wanna sue that idiot travel agent, | 蜜月 我要起诉那个白痴旅行社代理人 |
[03:57] | Gracie Kramer Gracie Kramer. | |
[03:58] | The woman is a giant fart. | 这女人是个老傻逼 |
[03:59] | You know, It’s not like me to be vulgar. | 不是我想说粗话 |
[04:01] | A giant fart? | 老傻逼? |
[04:02] | There were a few mix-ups. | 她们发生了一些争吵 |
[04:03] | Oh, well, first,she puts us in business, right? | 首先 她让我们坐商务舱 是吧 |
[04:06] | Then the car she rented us was a subcompact, | 她帮我们租的车是个微型车 |
[04:08] | not a sedan. | 根本都不是轿车 |
[04:09] | And she told us we were in a romantic, | 而且她说我们住的将是浪漫的 |
[04:11] | adults-only hotel | 专门针对成人的酒店 |
[04:12] | which it was most definitely not. | 但完全不是那么回事 |
[04:14] | Myra, sometimes it can be very difficult to sue travel agencies. | Myra 一般来说起诉旅行社代理人是非常困难的 |
[04:19] | What about my emotional stress and physical hardship? | 那我受到的精神创伤和身体痛苦怎么办 |
[04:23] | On the first day,Myra tripped on an inflatable seahorse. | 第一天 Myra就在充气筏上摔倒了 |
[04:25] | That’s how she pulled the hamstring. | 并且拉伤了肌腱 |
[04:27] | Yes, I know. But is that…? | 嗯 我知道 但是 |
[04:29] | Okay, Ellenor, can I be open with you? | 行了 Ellenor 我可以跟你直说吗 |
[04:32] | Sure. | 当然 |
[04:33] | We never even got to consummate our marriage. | 我们甚至从来没有行夫妻之事 |
[04:39] | Okay? | 明白吗 |
[04:41] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[04:45] | Are you really prepared to drag that aspect into court? | 你真的准备在法庭上提出这个问题吗 |
[04:48] | My happiness is at stake here. | 我的幸福岌岌可危 |
[04:50] | If I have to drag whatever into court, | 不管在法庭上提什么我都不在乎 |
[04:51] | I don’t care,because I want her to pay. | 因为我要她赔偿 |
[04:53] | -The giant… -Fart. | -那个老 -傻逼 |
[04:56] | The man you accused of shoplifting. | 被你指责偷东西的那个人 |
[04:58] | Was he? | 是真的吗 |
[05:00] | Shoplifting? | 他真的偷了吗 |
[05:01] | No. | 没有 |
[05:02] | Then you were mistaken. | 那么是你搞错了 |
[05:04] | On this occasion, yes. | 就这一次而言 是的 |
[05:06] | “On this occasion.” | 就这一次而言 |
[05:08] | Mr. Robinson, | Robinson先生 |
[05:09] | how long have you worked at SaveWorld Drugs? | 你在SaveWorld杂货店工作有多久了 |
[05:11] | Five and a half years. | 五年半 |
[05:13] | And in that time, | 在此期间 |
[05:14] | it was your job to manage the store, hire employees | 你的工作职责是管理经营 雇佣员工 |
[05:16] | interact with the customer base, correct? | 以及与顾客沟通 是吗 |
[05:18] | Correct. | 没错 |
[05:19] | And about what percentage of that customer base would you say | 你们的顾客当中大约有多大比例 |
[05:22] | were from the African-American community? | 是非洲裔美国人 |
[05:24] | Fifty percent. | 百分之五十 |
[05:26] | Fifty percent? | 百分之五十 |
[05:26] | Actually, SaveWorld’s own figures show that | 准确地说 根据SaveWorld自己的数据 |
[05:30] | 56 percent of your customer base were African-American. | 你们的顾客当中有56%是非洲裔美国人 |
[05:34] | Well, then, I guess that’s the case. | 那么 我想是这样的 |
[05:37] | Is anyone, besides you, | 除了你之外 还有没有其他人 |
[05:39] | in power to stop suspected shoplifters? | 有权阻拦有盗窃嫌疑的人 |
[05:40] | No, just me. | 没有 就只有我 |
[05:42] | And how often do you stop customers for shoplifting? | 你经常拦下有盗窃嫌疑的顾客吗 |
[05:45] | Probably once or twice a day. | 大概每天有一到两次 |
[05:47] | So with the average month being 30 days | 那么每个月平均以30天计算 |
[05:50] | and you being open seven days a week | 你们每周营业七天 |
[05:52] | that would be 60-some-odd customers stopped. | 意味着每个月有60多位顾客被怀疑盗窃 |
[05:56] | Does that sound right? | 是这样吗? |
[05:57] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:58] | In the last month, | 上个月 |
[06:00] | how many customers have you stopped that were white? | 被你们怀疑的顾客当中有多少是白人 |
[06:03] | I know what you’re trying to do. | 我知道你想干什么 |
[06:04] | Just answer my question. | 只要回到我的问题就好 |
[06:08] | I don’t recall. | 我不记得了 |
[06:09] | You don’t recall stopping any white customers? | 不记得怀疑过任何白人顾客? |
[06:12] | or you don’t recall stopping any white customers in the last month? | 不记得上个月是否怀疑过任何白人顾客 |
[06:15] | Or you just don’t recall anything? | 还是什么都不记得了 |
[06:17] | I don’t recall stopping any white customers. | 不记得怀疑过任何白人顾客 |
[06:19] | So even though 44 percent of your customers are white | 就是说虽然你们的顾客中有44%是白人 |
[06:22] | zero percent were stopped for shoplifting. | 但是被怀疑盗窃的为零 |
[06:24] | That would mean a hundred percent | 这意味着被你们怀疑盗窃的 |
[06:25] | suscepted shoplifters were African-American. | 百分之百是非洲裔美国人 |
[06:30] | I’m not sure it’s such a smart idea making it about race. | 我也不确定打种族牌是不是一个明智的选择 |
[06:35] | Wellesley, all-white jury. | Wellesley 白人陪审团 |
[06:37] | I think it’s a perfect jury to make it about race. | 我认为对这样的陪审团打种族牌是完美的策略 |
[06:40] | Rich, affluent white town.These are the people | 豪华 富足的白人城镇 这些人 |
[06:43] | that are desperate to reach out to minorities | 迫不及待地想帮助少数族裔 |
[06:45] | so long as they don’t actually have to meet one. | 只要自己不用真的跟他们呆在一起 |
[06:48] | You’re such a cynic. | 你真是个愤青 |
[06:51] | Well, trust me. | 相信我 |
[06:52] | White suburbanites feel guilty about their swimming pools. | 郊区的白人为他们的游泳池怀有负罪感 |
[06:55] | Showing compassion to an African-American | 向非洲裔美国人表达同情 |
[06:57] | is a way of atonement. | 是赎罪的方式 |
[06:59] | I slept with a guy from Wellesley once. | 我跟一个Wellesley的家伙上过床 |
[07:01] | We came this close to even having dinner. | 我们关系密切到甚至一起吃晚餐 |
[07:04] | That was a joke. | 开个玩笑 |
[07:07] | Why do you do that, try to shock me? | 你为什么那么做 给我个意外 |
[07:10] | The truth? | 实话实说吗? |
[07:11] | No, lie to me. | 不 瞎编吧 |
[07:15] | I think you’re a little buttoned-down. | 我觉得你有点刻板 |
[07:18] | I’m not buttoned-down. | 我不刻板 |
[07:20] | I think you are. | 我觉得是 |
[07:21] | I’m not. | 我不是 |
[07:22] | Okay, sexually conservative, then. | 好吧 那就是对待性比较保守 |
[07:23] | Why do you…? | 你为什么 |
[07:25] | You know nothing about what I’m like sexually, okay? | 你根本不了解我的性观念 不是吗 |
[07:29] | Exactly. We’ve been on three dates,I don’t have a clue. | 正是 我们已经约会了三次 我一无所知 |
[07:32] | Either you’re not attracted to me or… | 要么是你不喜欢我 要么 |
[07:34] | What am I supposed to do? Attack you? | 你要我怎么做 霸王硬上弓 |
[07:37] | Is that what you want? | 你想吗 |
[07:42] | Well? | 嗯? |
[07:43] | I’m thinking. | 我在考虑 |
[07:52] | Hey, what’s up? What’s the matter? | 嘿 怎么了 出什么事了 |
[07:55] | The security guard, the one you pushed through the window? | 那个保安 被你扔出窗外的那个 |
[07:59] | He died. | 他死了 |
[08:05] | About an hour ago. | 大约一小时前 |
[08:06] | When? | 什么时候 |
[08:09] | Oh, God. | 哦 上帝啊 |
[08:15] | I can’t believe this. | 怎么可能 |
[08:18] | Aaron Aaron… | |
[08:21] | I’ve been asked to surrender you to the police. | 我必须把你交给交给警察局 |
[08:24] | They’re revoking bail. | 他们撤销了保释 |
[08:25] | What? | 什么 |
[08:26] | They’ve upped the charges to manslaughter. | 他们把指控加重到了杀人罪 |
[08:28] | Manslaughter? You mean he’s being charged with murder? | 杀人罪 你是说他被控谋杀 |
[08:31] | No, no, no. It’s homicide. | 不不不 就是普通的杀人罪 |
[08:32] | Wait, wait, wait. How…? | 等等 怎么 |
[08:34] | How can they do that? | 他们怎么能这样做 |
[08:36] | They can do that because a man is dead now. | 他们可以这样做 因为有人死亡了 |
[08:40] | We knew this could happen. | 我们早就估计可能会出现这种情况 |
[08:44] | Yeah, but even, I mean, I… | 是的 但即使 我是说 我 |
[08:48] | I certainly didn’t mean for a man to die. | 我从来没想过要杀死他 |
[08:52] | Look, it doesn’t change anything as far as our case goes. | 其实 就我们的案子而言 并没有什么不一样 |
[08:55] | You were assaulted first,you found yourself in a fight… | 你遭到袭击 你跟别人打起来 |
[08:58] | you defended yourself,nothing’s changed. | 你做出正当防卫 没什么变化 |
[09:02] | Nothing’s changed? | 没什么变化 |
[09:06] | A man is now dead, Eugene. | 出人命了 Eugene |
[09:10] | A white man killed by a black man. | 一个黑人杀死了一个白人 |
[09:16] | Nothing’s changed? | 这叫没有变化 |
[09:28] | Why don’t you just take a seat | 你先去坐一会 |
[09:29] | and I’ll be with you in a minute? | 我马上过来 |
[09:35] | Incredible wardrobe,straight A’s, perfect figure. | 穿着讲究 全是高档货 完美的身材 |
[09:39] | Every time I saw her, | 每次看到她 |
[09:39] | she had another drop-dead gorgeous boyfriend. | 她都又换了个新的 迷死人的男友 |
[09:41] | I hated girls like that. | 我讨厌这样的女孩子 |
[09:43] | When I was 12, at Thanksgiving, | 记得12岁的时候 过感恩节 |
[09:45] | she took me and of my cousins back behind the garage | 她带我和表妹们到车库里 |
[09:47] | so she could teach us how to pop our zits. | 说是要教我们挤痘痘 |
[09:48] | But really,she just wanted to count mine. | 但其实 她只是想数我脸上的痘痘 |
[09:52] | Don’t you just wanna go in there and muss up her hair? | 你不想过去扯她的头发吗 |
[09:55] | I shouldn’t be so catty. | 我不该这么记恨 |
[09:56] | I mean, she’s fine. I like her. | 她其实不错 我喜欢她 |
[09:59] | She’s, you know, she’s not, She’s just | 她是 你知道 她并不 她只是 |
[10:02] | She’s fine. | 她人不错 |
[10:04] | Nice try. | 真不错 |
[10:07] | No talking to the press, Aaron. | 不要接受媒体采访 Aaron |
[10:10] | -Hey, Bobby. – Hey. | -嘿 Bobby -嘿 |
[10:11] | How’s it going with Helen? | 跟Helen进展怎么样 |
[10:12] | What’d she say? | 她说什么了? |
[10:14] | Nothing. How’s it going here? | 没有 案子怎么样 |
[10:16] | Don’t ask. | 别提了 |
[10:22] | Okay, this is the hotel pharmacy bill, | 这个是酒店药房的账单 |
[10:24] | this is the airline receipt | 这是机票 |
[10:25] | and this is the receipt from the duty-free shop at the Cancun Airport. | 还有坎昆机场免税店的收据 |
[10:29] | Total comes to $6020.12 | 总额是6020.12 |
[10:31] | not including what we expect for hardship and emotional trauma. | 不包括对伤害和精神创伤的赔偿 |
[10:38] | You know, these cases can sometimes be hard to put a price on. | 要知道 这一类的案件一般很难确定数额 |
[10:41] | I think that we should try to go for reimbursement on the hotel. | 我们应该试试找酒店索赔 |
[10:44] | Ellenor Ellenor? | |
[10:46] | I love you. | 我喜欢你 |
[10:47] | And forgive me for saying this, | 原谅我有话直说 |
[10:49] | but you need to understand this thing. | 但是你得学会理解这些事 |
[10:51] | Sex can be very important in a couple’s relationship. | 在夫妻关系中 性是非常重要的 |
[10:54] | And without it, there can be strain in the marital bed. | 没有性 婚床就不和谐 |
[10:56] | My marital bed. | 我的婚床 |
[10:57] | Wasn’t there any premarital sex? | 你们婚前没有性行为吗 |
[11:00] | Yes, of course, all the time. | 有 当然有 一直都有 |
[11:01] | But that’s not the point. | 但这不是问题关键 |
[11:03] | Okay, then why don’t we take a look | 好吧 那么我们来看看 |
[11:05] | at the other forfeited aspects of the honeymoon? | 你们还丧失了蜜月中的其它哪些乐趣 |
[11:08] | Okay, like what? | 好啊 比方说 |
[11:09] | Like twisting things that you were prevented from doing | 那些因为你拉伤了肌腱而 |
[11:11] | because of the pulled hamstring. | 不能做的其它事情 |
[11:12] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[11:15] | Okay. How about,oh, let’s say snorkeling, sailing? | 比如说 呃 比如说潜水 航海 |
[11:18] | Okay. | 行啊 |
[11:21] | How about bicycling? | 自行车怎么样 |
[11:22] | Irritates, I get a yeast flare-up. | 过敏 会引起宫颈感染 |
[11:24] | Is this really necessary? | 真有必要准备这些吗 |
[11:26] | Mrya, I’m just trying to establish your expectations for the honeymoon. | Myra 我只是要明确你对蜜月的期望 |
[11:28] | It’d be very helpful if you could just write a list of things | 如果你能列个清单 写清楚你跟Oren想做的事情 |
[11:31] | that you and Oren wanted to do. | 那会很有用 |
[11:32] | You know, Hobbies… | 爱好 |
[11:33] | Ok, I’ve only been with the guy four and a half months. | 我跟他在一起才四个半月 |
[11:36] | It’s not like I know him inside out,okay? All right. | 又谈不上有多了解他 对吧 算了 |
[11:42] | You can’t switch from assault to homicide in the middle of a trial. | 你不能在诉讼中把企图伤害罪改成杀人罪 |
[11:45] | We put them on notice from the start. | 我们一开始就正式告知他了 |
[11:46] | That doesn’t mean anything.This should be a mistrial. | 没有任何区别 还是无效审判 |
[11:49] | Same facts, same case. | 同样的事实 同一个案子 |
[11:50] | Except now, you’re switching to homicide. | 不同的是 你要改成杀人罪 |
[11:52] | Is that a new trial or mistrial. | 这算是新的审判 还是无效审判 |
[11:53] | I’m afraid it’s neither.You’re not prejudiced by this. | 恐怕都不是 这样做不会导致偏见 |
[11:56] | It doesn’t affect the evidence. | 也不会影响证据 |
[11:57] | And you knew they might do this. | 而且你们早就知道有这种可能性 |
[11:59] | You can’t add a charge in the middle of a trial. | 你不能在审判的过程中增加指控 |
[12:01] | That’s unprecedented. | 没有先例可循 |
[12:02] | It’s not unprecedented. It might be irregular, | 并非没有先例 或许是不符合常规 |
[12:04] | but you take that up with appeals. | 但你可以就此提出上诉 |
[12:06] | Now, this case goes on with the manslaughter charge. | 目前 加上非蓄谋杀人的指控 案件继续审理 |
[12:10] | Can you describe the scene for us | 你能否描述一下 |
[12:12] | when you first arrived at 4:15? | 你四点十五分赶到现场时的情景 |
[12:15] | There were people running out of the store carrying merchandise. | 有人拿着商品从店里冲出来 |
[12:19] | Other people from the street were rushing back inside at the same time. | 同时 街上的人蜂拥着跑回店里 |
[12:22] | That’s when I saw the body crash through the front window. | 这时候我看到有人被从前窗扔出来 |
[12:25] | And that would be the body of the deceased, | 被扔出来的是死者 |
[12:27] | Mr. Roman Rosemont? | Roman Rosemont先生吗 |
[12:29] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 女士 |
[12:30] | Did you see who actually hurled the body through the window? | 你有没有看到是谁把他扔出来的 |
[12:33] | Objection, | 反对 |
[12:34] | counsel has not established that Mr. Rosemont | 检方没有证据证明Rosemont先生 |
[12:37] | was hurled or otherwise acted upon. | 是被扔出来还是自己冲出来的 |
[12:40] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[12:41] | What did you see, officer? | 你看到什么了 警官 |
[12:43] | I saw the defendant, Mr. Wilton, | 我看到被告Wilton先生 |
[12:45] | standing on the other side of the window. | 站在窗子的另一侧 |
[12:47] | And did he see you? | 他也看到你了吗 |
[12:49] | Did he say anything to you? | 他跟你说什么没有 |
[12:52] | Objection. Leading the witness. | 反对 诱导证人 |
[12:54] | I’ll rephrase, Your Honor. | 我换个方式 法官阁下 |
[12:55] | Officer Tedesco,when you saw Mr. Wilton | Tedesco警官 当你看到Wilton先生 |
[12:59] | standing in the window of the SaveWorld Drugs, | 站在SaveWorld杂货店窗口边的时候 |
[13:01] | what did he do? | 他在做什么 |
[13:02] | Object to the form. | 反对提问的方式 |
[13:03] | What happened when Mr. Wilton saw you? | 当Wilton先生看到你的时候发生了什么 |
[13:07] | He said,”Whose side are you on, brother? | 他说 “你跟谁一边 兄弟” |
[13:10] | You should be helping us to burn this place down.” | “你应该帮我们一起把这个地方给烧了” |
[13:14] | What do you think he meant by that remark? | 你觉得他这句话是什么意思 |
[13:16] | Objection. | 反对 |
[13:17] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[13:19] | He wanted me to join him and the others | 他想让我加入他以及其他那些人 |
[13:21] | destroying the store. | 一起破坏杂货店 |
[13:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[13:33] | We’re in trouble. | 我们麻烦了 |
[13:34] | We took a hit. We can recover. | 目前是不太有利 但我们还可以补救 |
[13:36] | We gotta buy some time. | 我们必须争取一点时间 |
[13:37] | We’re still okay. | 我们还有机会 |
[13:38] | We start with the customers in the store. | 我们首先让杂货店的顾客作证 |
[13:40] | Diandra Jackson Ty Mallone Diandra Jackson, Ty Mallone, | |
[13:41] | the ones who swear | 他们可以证明 |
[13:42] | that it was the store manager who provoked Aaron. | 是杂货店的经理惹起事端 |
[13:44] | It’s still justified defense of others and we just keep going | 仍然构成”防卫他人” 我们照原方案走 |
[13:47] | Eugene, the jury just heard intent to commit. | Eugene 陪审团已经得知了犯罪意图 |
[13:51] | Whatever liberal sympathy we had,it’s gone now. | 不管我们能博取到多少同情 都没有用了 |
[13:55] | He’s the angry black killer now. | 他已经成了愤怒的黑人杀手 |
[13:57] | Let’s not kid ourselves. | 别自欺欺人了 |
[14:01] | Maybe we should go with that. | 也许我们正好可以利用这一点 |
[14:03] | What? | 什么 |
[14:04] | The Reginald Denny beating, | Reginald Denny殴打案 |
[14:06] | remember after the L.A. Riots? | 记得洛城骚乱之后的这个案子吗 |
[14:09] | That’s how they got those guys off. | 他们就是这样帮被告们洗脱罪名的 |
[14:10] | How? | 怎样 |
[14:12] | It was called a social deviance defense. | 这个辩护理由叫做”社会越轨行为” |
[14:15] | As angry black men,they had this right to explode. | 作为愤怒的黑人男性 他们有权爆发 |
[14:19] | The jury bought it. | 陪审团采信了 |
[14:24] | It’s not my theory. | 这不是我的观点 |
[14:26] | I’m just saying that’s what they used. | 我只是说他们采用了这个观点 |
[14:28] | Look it up. Dr. Traub, Alvin, | 查一下 Traub Alvin博士 |
[14:31] | whatever his name was | 我记不清是不是叫这个名字 |
[14:32] | he was the expert on the Hilburn case. | 他是Hilburn案的专家证人 |
[14:34] | We don’t have a Reginald Denny situation here. | 我们的案子跟Reginald Denny案的情况不一样 |
[14:36] | We have an upper middle class defendant, | 我们的当事人来自社会中上层 |
[14:37] | college-educated | 受过大学教育 |
[14:38] | Not only that, we spent the last two weeks | 不仅如此 过去两周 |
[14:40] | building up that he is an upstanding citizen. | 我们一直努力证明他是个正直的公民 |
[14:42] | Now we gonna chuck all of that | 现在我们要自打嘴巴 |
[14:43] | and make him a poster boy for Negro inferiority? | 说他是黑人劣根性的典型人物? |
[14:46] | It’s an option.Maybe the only one we have left. | 这毕竟是个办法 也许是唯一可行的办法 |
[14:48] | He won’t do it. He’s too proud. | 他不会同意的 他自尊心太强了 |
[14:50] | Well, 15 years to life | 对于自尊心来说 |
[14:51] | is a high price for pride. | 15年乃至终生监禁的代价未免太高 |
[14:56] | Please, tell me you’re not serious. | 拜托 告诉我你是在开玩笑 |
[15:00] | I’m not necessarily recommending it, Aaron. | 我并不一定建议你接受 Aaron |
[15:02] | You’re talking about humiliating me | 你这是要当众羞辱我 |
[15:05] | in front of my friends,my family, | 在我的朋友 我的家庭 |
[15:07] | the whole world. | 在全世界面前羞辱我 |
[15:08] | How the hell is that supposed to help me? | 这对我到底有什么好处 |
[15:11] | It helps by maybe keeping you out of jail. | 好处在于也许使你免于坐牢 |
[15:15] | Explain this to me again. | 我还是不太明白 |
[15:16] | You argue that he’s a deviant? | 你们要说他不是个正常人 |
[15:20] | We would argue that he has a pathological tendency towards violence. | 我们会说他存在病态的暴力倾向 |
[15:24] | Like a wild monkey defense? | 类似于说他是个野生的猴子 |
[15:27] | Like I said, I’m not recommending it. | 我说了 我并不建议你们采用 |
[15:30] | Then why are you even presenting it? Man. | 那你还有什么必要提出来 |
[15:31] | Because you’re staring at a possible homicide conviction. | 因为你可能会被判杀人罪 |
[15:34] | And even if we get it chopped down to involuntary manslaughter | 即使我们能够减轻到过失杀人 |
[15:38] | you’re looking at five. | 你也会被判五年 |
[15:39] | I still don’t understand the group contagion part. | 我还是不明白”群体蔓延”是怎么回事 |
[15:46] | Basically, instead of trying to argue defense of others | 基本上 我们不再以”防卫他人”来辩护 |
[15:50] | we argue that once people started fighting around, | 而是说当周围有人开始斗殴 |
[15:52] | you kind of went on automatic pilot. | 你就没法控制自己 |
[15:55] | That’s where the social deviant thing comes in. | 这就是所谓的”社会越轨”理论 |
[15:57] | We say you lacked the power to stay out of it. | 我们会说你没法置身事外 |
[16:01] | You really expect me to testify to that? | 你真的指望我会这么说吗 |
[16:05] | Something to that effect. | 只要能达到这种效果 |
[16:07] | But if he testifies, | 但是如果让他作证 |
[16:07] | doesn’t the previous conviction come in? | 那他的前科岂不是会被翻出来 |
[16:10] | We want it in, it works for us now. | 那正是我们所要的 现在对我们有利 |
[16:12] | Oh, it works for us now? I see. | 哦 现在对我们有利 我懂了 |
[16:14] | The strategy has changed, Aaron. | 我们的策略变了 Aaron |
[16:15] | That’s what I’m trying to tell you, man. | 我就是想跟你说清楚 |
[16:18] | Before, we were arguing you were justified. | 之前 我们的辩护理由是正当防卫 |
[16:21] | Now, it’s more like insanity | 现在 更像是精神失常 |
[16:23] | you got this pathological thing that makes you violent. | 你有病态的暴力倾向 |
[16:34] | No. | 不行 |
[16:37] | Aaron Aaron. | |
[16:38] | Baby, no! | 亲爱的 不行 |
[16:43] | I mean, how am I? | 你说 我该怎么 |
[16:46] | How am I supposed to walk back into work | 如果我承认自己是个病态的暴力动物 |
[16:48] | after I say I’m some kind of pathological violent animal? | 我还怎么回去工作 |
[16:52] | You don’t get to walk back into work | 如果你进了监狱 |
[16:54] | if you’re in prison. | 那你回去工作的机会都没有了 |
[16:57] | What about our son? | 我们的儿子怎么办 |
[17:01] | Our home, our life together? | 这个家怎么办 还有我们的生活 |
[17:05] | What about all that? | 这些怎么办 |
[17:08] | Baby, you’re suggesting that I pretend to be a social deviant? | 亲爱的 你是要我假装自己是个不正常的人 |
[17:12] | I don’t know! | 我不知道 |
[17:18] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[17:27] | It’s not a strong case, but it’s makeable. | 把握不是太大 不过可以做 |
[17:31] | With just two crimes. | 就凭两次犯罪 |
[17:32] | Two assault crimes. | 两次伤害罪 |
[17:35] | Together with his past history, | 加上他以前的经历 |
[17:36] | getting pulled over, falsely accused… | 停车检查 无端指责 |
[17:39] | Every black man in America has that history. | 全美国的黑人都有这样的经历 |
[17:42] | As I said, it’s not a strong case. | 我说了 把握不是太大 |
[17:45] | But all you need is reasonable doubt. | 但你需要的只是合理怀疑 |
[17:47] | Doctor, we’re in the middle of the trial. | 博士 我们的案子正在审理中 |
[17:48] | Could you possibly testify tomorrow? | 你明天能不能出庭作证 |
[17:51] | No problem. | 没问题 |
[17:52] | All I need to do is interview Mr. Wilton. | 我只需要跟Wilton先生做个面谈 |
[17:55] | And I would need $ 10,000.In advance. | 收费一万块 事前支付 |
[18:01] | And… | 还有 |
[18:03] | if you could think of any other horrible things you’ve done | 如果你能回忆起你所干的其它恶行 |
[18:07] | it would be helpful. | 会很有用的 |
[18:16] | So basically,we’re betting everything on this theory. | 就是说 我们把宝全押在这个策略上 |
[18:20] | Bobby will question the doctor, | Bobby来盘问博士 |
[18:22] | it’ll be better coming from him. | 从他口中说出来要好些 |
[18:24] | He’ll do you as well and I’ll do the closing. | 然后他还会盘问你 我负责结案陈词 |
[18:28] | You don’t feel a little funny about this? | 你不觉得这一切有点荒唐吗 |
[18:30] | Funny? It makes me sick. | 荒唐 我觉得恶心 |
[18:33] | But let’s get the acquittal first. | 但我们还是先洗脱罪名再说 |
[18:35] | Yeah. Let’s get the acquittal. | 没错 洗脱罪名 |
[18:37] | Now, come on. | 好了 |
[18:39] | We do what we have to do.We’re not losing here. | 我们做我们该做的 我们不会输的 |
[18:43] | We’re not losing. | 我们不会输 |
[18:51] | Mrs. Kramer, | Kramer太太 |
[18:52] | I really appreciate you coming down here today. | 非常感谢你今天抽空过来 |
[18:54] | I have advised Mrs. Kramer not to say anything at this time… | 我建议Kramer太太暂时不要说话 |
[18:57] | Listen, young lady. I’ve been in this business for 30 years | 听着 小姑娘 我干这一行已经30多年了 |
[18:59] | and I’ve never carried liability insurance. | 从来没有投过责任保险 |
[19:02] | Whoever heard of suing your travel agent? | 谁听说过有人会起诉旅行代理人 |
[19:04] | Well, Myra Glenn feels that | Myra Glenn觉得 |
[19:06] | her damages are very real. | 她遭受的损害是客观存在的 |
[19:07] | Our position remains, until we have… | 我们坚持认为 除非 |
[19:09] | Damages? Name them. | 损害 哪些损害 |
[19:11] | Inconvenience | 各种不便 |
[19:13] | fraudulent representations and impediment to sexual satisfaction. | 欺诈性陈述以及无法获得性满足 |
[19:20] | Now, I can’t promise you anything, | 虽然我不能向你保证 |
[19:21] | but there may still be room in all of this for a settlement. | 但是我们仍然有和解的空间 |
[19:23] | We might look upon the poss… | 我们可以先看一下 |
[19:24] | Not the skinniest of a chance. | 绝不可能 |
[19:27] | Mrs. Kramer, You can’t deny that | Kramer太太 你不能否认 |
[19:29] | there were foul-ups in the honeymoon. | 在她度蜜月期间确实出现了问题 |
[19:30] | Can I tell you something? | 我告诉你 |
[19:32] | When I went on my honeymoon, | 当年我度蜜月的时候 |
[19:33] | my husband, Hershel may he rest in peace, | 我丈夫Hershel 愿他安息 |
[19:35] | never made a big deal of the sex. | 根本没把性当多大回事 |
[19:38] | – Gracie, Ms. Frutt has offered… – We talked, we played canasta, | -Gracie Frutt小姐说 -我们聊天 打牌 |
[19:40] | we’d go for a stroll | 一起散步 |
[19:42] | we really got to know each other. | 我们真正地互相了解 |
[19:45] | There was still time for love, | 当然也有柔情蜜意 |
[19:46] | but it wasn’t the be-all and end-all | 但是并不像这些年轻人那样 |
[19:48] | that these kids make it out to be. | 把它当成最重要的部分 |
[19:50] | No. No settlement. | 不行 不和解 |
[19:52] | And if you’re their adviser,Ms. Frutt | 既然你是他们的律师 Frutt小姐 |
[19:55] | you tell them what really matters in a relationship. | 请你转告他们婚姻当中真正重要的是什么 |
[20:05] | Could you explain to the court | 你能否向法庭解释一下 |
[20:07] | the science of urban anthropology? | 城市人类学这门学科 |
[20:10] | Urban anthropology | 城市人类学 |
[20:11] | is the study of human interaction in the inner cities. | 是研究城市内部人群关系的学科 |
[20:15] | In all your years as an urban anthropologist | 在你从事城市人类学研究的这么多年里 |
[20:17] | have you ever studied situations like the riot that occurred | 你有没有研究过类似布雷顿骚乱 |
[20:20] | in Brighton, Massachusetts? | 那样的情况 |
[20:21] | Many times. In fact, | 研究过多次 事实上 |
[20:23] | I authored a paper published in the Journal of Urban Studies | 我在《城市研究》期刊上发表过一篇论文 |
[20:26] | entitled “Group Contagion and Racial Violence.” | 题目叫《群体性蔓延和种族暴力》 |
[20:29] | Is this the journal? | 是这本期刊吗 |
[20:30] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:31] | If you would read from your article this paragraph right here? | 请读一下这篇论文的这一段 |
[20:40] | “It is the finding of this study that group violence. | 本项研究发现 群体性暴力 |
[20:43] | often triggers a contagious behavior | 常常在非洲裔美国人群体中 |
[20:45] | within the African-American community. | 引起蔓延行为 |
[20:47] | which aggravates in African-American males | 进而在非洲裔美国男性当中 |
[20:49] | an innate pathological tendency | 激发固有的病态倾向 |
[20:52] | to commit acts of violence.” | 促使他们实施暴力行为 |
[20:54] | Well, that is a pretty bold statement,don’t you think, doctor? | 啊 这种说法相当冒犯 你不觉得吗 博士 |
[20:59] | Aren’t you concerned with being labeled a racist? | 你不怕被贴上种族主义者的标签吗 |
[21:01] | My concern is scientific study. | 我只关注科学研究 |
[21:03] | Racism plays no part in it. | 种族主义不在我考虑的范围内 |
[21:05] | I see. | 明白了 |
[21:07] | If you would read the rest of the outlined portion aloud, right here? | 请你大声读出剩下的划线部分 这里 |
[21:11] | “This frenzy of aggression precludes | 这种大肆侵害的狂热使得 |
[21:13] | the individual African-American male | 个体非洲裔美国男子 |
[21:15] | from forming a specific intent to hurt or commit mayhem.” | 不会形成具体的伤害的意图 |
[21:19] | Oh, give me a break. | 哦 饶了我吧 |
[21:21] | Ms. Hart. | Hart小姐 |
[21:21] | In simpler language, doctor? | 用更通俗易懂的语言 博士 |
[21:24] | We found that black men cannot be held | 我们认为从心理学上来看 |
[21:26] | psychologically accountable. for their actions | 黑人男性对这种 在暂时性精神失常状态下 |
[21:29] | when taken over by this form of temporary insanity. | 实施的行为不应承担责任 |
[21:32] | It’s not unlike pack behavior | 这与你在很多动物群体中见到的 |
[21:33] | you see among many animal groups. | 群体行为没有什么区别 |
[21:35] | Objection, Your Honor, | 反对 法官阁下 |
[21:36] | are we supposed to allow this racist quackery | 我们难道把这种种族主义的江湖骗术 |
[21:39] | to be passed off as legitimate science? | 当成合理的学术观点吗 |
[21:41] | The court’s position is not to judge scientific validity. | 法庭的职责不在于判断学术观点的正确性 |
[21:45] | Ms. Hart, only relevancy. | Hart小姐 只考虑关联性 |
[21:47] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[21:48] | Doctor, help us out here. | 博士 再请教一下 |
[21:50] | How do you account for this, | 你怎么解释这种 |
[21:52] | this tendency among black males? | 这种黑人男性当中的倾向 |
[21:55] | The group contagion comes. | 这种群体蔓延来自于 |
[21:56] | from commonly shared emotions of frustration | 共同的受挫情绪 |
[21:59] | from feeling locked out from full participation in society. | 来自于不能完全融入社会的自我体会 |
[22:03] | And when a situation presents itself that gives them a way | 当出现某些情况 使他们有机会 |
[22:06] | to release that powerful frustration, | 发泄这种强烈的受挫感时 |
[22:08] | it’s like lighting a spark to an explosive. | 就好像火星遇到炸药 |
[22:11] | It can’t help but blow up. | 它必定会爆炸 |
[22:13] | And this impulse, this, this tendency to violence, | 那么这种冲动 这种 这种暴力倾向 |
[22:16] | you don’t find among whites? | 你在白人当中没有发现 |
[22:17] | No. | 没有 |
[22:18] | Hispanics? | 西班牙人 |
[22:19] | No. | 没有 |
[22:20] | Asians? | 亚洲人 |
[22:20] | No, only African-American males in a group setting. | 没有 只有非洲裔美国男性群体可能 |
[22:23] | may be incapable of resisting this contagious violence. | 无法控制这种蔓延性的暴力 |
[22:28] | like victims of a disease. | 就像传染病一样 |
[22:31] | So black men just can’t lay off violence? | 那么 黑人男性就是不能克服暴力冲动 |
[22:34] | What I said was in some situations… | 我说的是在某些情况下 |
[22:36] | I heard what you said. | 我知道你是怎么说的 |
[22:37] | Blacks are subject to group contagion, | 黑人有群体蔓延的倾向 |
[22:40] | which is basically mob violence. | 聚众暴力行为的倾向 |
[22:41] | I said, in some situations. | 我说的是在某些情况下 |
[22:45] | depending upon the underlying sociological history. | 取决于潜在的社会历史背景 |
[22:48] | that pathology can develop, yes. | 有可能出现这种病态 是这样的 |
[22:50] | And I’m certainly not the only doctor | 我肯定也不是唯一发表过 |
[22:51] | or professor to make this claim. | 这种观点的博士或教授 |
[22:54] | But you’re the one making it today,doctor. I’m… | 但今天发表这种观点的就是你 博士 我 |
[22:56] | I sit here saying that it is possible. | 我说的是存在这种可能性 |
[22:59] | Possible when the price is right. | 前提是价格合适 |
[23:02] | Objection! | 反对 |
[23:03] | How much are you charging for today’s testimony? | 你这次作证收费多少 |
[23:05] | Objection. | 反对 |
[23:06] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[23:07] | I’m interested to know, myself. | 我也想知道 |
[23:09] | How much, doctor? | 多少 博士 |
[23:12] | Ten thousand dollars. | 一万元 |
[23:15] | Plus expenses. | 加上开支 |
[23:16] | You charge for mileage? | 你要报销交通费 |
[23:18] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:19] | And in preparation for today’s expert testimony, | 在准备今天的专家证言的过程中 |
[23:22] | how much time did you spend with the defendant | 你与被告接触了多长时间 |
[23:25] | to see if he was subject to group contagion? | 以确定他是否有群体蔓延倾向 |
[23:29] | I’m not sure. | 我不确定 |
[23:29] | More or less than a day? | 多于还是少于一天 |
[23:31] | Less. | 少于 |
[23:32] | More or less than an hour? | 多于还是少于一个小时 |
[23:34] | Less. | 少于 |
[23:35] | This witness makes me sick! | 这个证人令我恶心 |
[23:37] | Objection! | 反对 |
[23:38] | That remark is stricken. | 这句陈述不予记录 |
[23:40] | I’m surprised at you. | 你真让我吃惊 |
[23:42] | Objection! | 反对 |
[23:43] | Ms. Hart. | Hart小姐 |
[23:47] | The fact that he’s withholding is a good sign. | 他停滞不前倒是个好现象 |
[23:50] | How do you figure? | 此话怎讲 |
[23:51] | Bobby always goes for the wrong girls | Bobby总是找些不靠谱的女孩 |
[23:52] | because it’s safe. | 因为这样比较安全 |
[23:53] | He knows he’ll never fall too deep. | 他知道自己不会陷得太深 |
[23:55] | He’s scared with you because you could be right. | 他对你有顾虑 正因为他对你有感觉 |
[23:58] | That’s ridiculous. | 胡说八道 |
[23:58] | It isn’t, Helen. Be patient. | 我说真的 Helen 耐心点 |
[24:03] | You know what I think we should do? | 我在想 我们可以一起做点什么 |
[24:04] | We? | 我们 |
[24:06] | Remember the time… | 记不记得那时候 |
[24:07] | Forget it. | 你疯了 |
[24:11] | All right. Your birthday’s coming up. | 你快过生日了 |
[24:13] | I’ve been wondering what I should get you. | 我在想给你点什么礼物 |
[24:16] | Three words, Helen: For. Get. It. | 三个字 Helen 你疯了 |
[24:21] | Okay, your loss. | 算了 是你的损失 |
[24:27] | I gotta go after him, Eugene. | 我必须逼问他 Eugene |
[24:30] | I know he’s our client, but… | 我知道他是我们的当事人 但是 |
[24:31] | I know the strategy, Bobby. | 我知道你的策略 Bobby |
[24:34] | I’m sorry. I know this is hard. | 对不起 我知道这很难接受 |
[24:38] | Did you tell him what he’s in for? | 你有没有告诉他盘问的内容? |
[24:40] | No. | 没有 |
[24:41] | So he has no idea where I’m coming from? | 那么他不知道我会怎么问 |
[24:43] | Nope. | 不知道 |
[24:49] | Why’d you have to jump in? | 你为什么非插手不可 |
[24:52] | You weren’t involved. | 本来不关你的事 |
[24:53] | Well, because I’ve been stopped so many times in my life | 因为我平时被无端怀疑的次数太多了 |
[24:56] | for no other reason than the fact that I’m black. | 没有别的理由 就因为我是黑人 |
[24:59] | I just, you know, I just couldn’t accept it | 我只是 我想 我就是无法容忍 |
[25:01] | when I saw what they were doing to this kid. | 他们那样对待那个孩子 |
[25:03] | You were angry? | 你很愤怒 |
[25:04] | Yes. | 是的 |
[25:04] | Angry enough to hurt that security guard? | 愤怒到去伤害那个保安? |
[25:05] | I didn’t mean to be involved . | 我不是故意的 |
[25:07] | Things flew out of control | 局势失控了 |
[25:08] | and suddenly I found that I had to defend myself. | 我突然意识到我不得不自我防卫 |
[25:11] | We’ve all watched the videotape. | 我们都看过监控录像 |
[25:13] | Are you denying that you were on the attack? | 你是要否认你参与了斗殴吗 |
[25:14] | I didn’t start it. | 不是我先动手的 |
[25:15] | You could’ve walked away. | 你可以走开啊 |
[25:16] | By then the others had joined in. | 那时候有其他人也加入进来了 |
[25:18] | It’s four against one. | 四个对一个 |
[25:19] | Why didn’t you just stop them? | 你为什么不制止他们呢 |
[25:20] | Objection. | 反对 |
[25:21] | Is counsel declaring his own client a hostile witness? | 辩方律师是把自己的当事人作为敌意证人吗 |
[25:24] | Mr. Donnell? | Donnell先生 |
[25:25] | Your honor, I’m advancing a theory | 法官阁下 我提出的论点 |
[25:26] | my client doesn’t agree with. | 可能不被我的当事人所赞同 |
[25:27] | I may have to treat him as hostile. | 我也许不得不将他视为敌意证人 |
[25:30] | Right. | 好吧 |
[25:31] | When you had the upper hand | 当你占了上风之后 |
[25:34] | why didn’t you stop the fight and leave the store? | 你为什么不停手 并离开杂货店呢 |
[25:38] | I tried to, but like I said,things flew out of control. | 我也想 但正如我说的 局势失控了 |
[25:44] | Watch the tape again, Mr. Wilton. | 再看一遍监控录像 Wilton先生 |
[25:47] | Show us where you tried to stop. | 告诉我们你什么时候想停手的 |
[25:52] | Okay, it wasn’t like that.I mean, | 不是这样的 我是说 |
[25:53] | you know, it happened so much faster. | 实际发生的时候要快得多 |
[25:55] | It was ike everything was happening all at once. | 就好像一切都是同时发生的 |
[25:57] | Like this? | 像这样吗 |
[25:59] | Or like this? | 还是像这样 |
[26:04] | That’s how it seemed. | 应该是的 |
[26:10] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[26:11] | And when the security guard,Mr. Rosemont, tried to restrain you… | 当保安Rosemont先生试图制止你 |
[26:15] | Excuse me. Strangle me. | 不对 是要勒住我 |
[26:17] | Okay. Strangle you. | 好吧 勒住你 |
[26:19] | When Mr. Rosemont tried to strangle you, | 当Rosemont先生试图勒住你的时候 |
[26:22] | what were you thinking? | 你想了些什么 |
[26:23] | Thinking? I don’t know, man. | 想什么 我不知道 |
[26:25] | Did you wanna hurt him? | 你想伤害他吗 |
[26:26] | Objection. | 反对 |
[26:27] | Wanted to hurt him? didn’t you? | 你想伤害他 不是吗? |
[26:28] | I said, I don’t know what I was thinking. | 我说了 我不知道当时在想什么 |
[26:29] | Did you wanna kill him? | 你想杀掉他吗 |
[26:30] | Objection! | 反对 |
[26:32] | Were you thinking that you get your revenge on him, | 你是否觉得把Rosemont先生 |
[26:33] | the manager, the store, | 扔出钢化玻璃窗是在报复他 |
[26:35] | on every white person in America, | 报复经理 杂货店 |
[26:37] | if you put Rosemont through that plate glass window? | 报复全美国的每一个白人 |
[26:39] | -No! I wasn’t thinking anything! -Objection! | -不是 我什么都没想 -反对 |
[26:40] | The jury will disregard the last exchange. | 陪审团请忽略最后那段质询 |
[26:43] | Mr. Donnell, | Donnell先生 |
[26:44] | those theatrics might play in Boston | 你那套把戏在波士顿或许管用 |
[26:47] | but here in Wellesley,we don’t go for it. | 但在Welleslye这里 不允许这么做 |
[26:52] | Do you recognize the name Samuel Baxter? | 你记得Samuel Baxter这个名字吗 |
[26:56] | Yes, I do. | 是 我记得 |
[26:59] | Who is Samuel Baxter? | Samuel Baxter是谁 |
[27:00] | He was a janitor at the Academy Homes in Roxbury. | 他是Roxbury Academy Homes的房屋管理员 |
[27:03] | The projects where you grew up. | 你是在那里长大的 |
[27:05] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:06] | Was he a white man or a black man? | 他是白人还是黑人 |
[27:09] | He’s a black man. | 他是黑人 |
[27:10] | And how would you characterize your relationship | 当时 你跟Baxter先生之间的关系 |
[27:12] | with Mr. Baxter back then? | 是怎样的 |
[27:15] | It was friendly. | 我们是朋友 |
[27:17] | Still friendly with Mr. Baxter? | 现在还是朋友吗 |
[27:18] | No. | 不是 |
[27:19] | You were arrested and convicted | 你曾经因为殴打Baxter先生被拘捕 |
[27:22] | of aggravated assault against Mr. Baxter. | 并且被判加重的企图伤害罪 |
[27:24] | Objection, Your Honor,aside from the question of relevance | 反对 法官阁下 除了问题的关联性之外 |
[27:28] | he’s talking about something that happened almost 20 years ago. | 这件事发生在差不多20年以前 |
[27:31] | Your honor, This case today | 法官阁下 今天这个案子 |
[27:32] | revolves around the issue of group contagion. | 涉及群体蔓延的问题 |
[27:34] | As we have already established by Dr. Alvin Traub | 正如Alvin Troub博士所证实的那样 |
[27:37] | “tendency to violence” pathology | “暴力倾向”的病态 |
[27:39] | may not be limited to single incidents. | 可能不会局限于某一次事件 |
[27:42] | My client and three others | 我的当事人和其他三个人 |
[27:44] | beat up this man. | 一起殴打了这个人 |
[27:45] | Objection! Now he’s testifying! | 反对 现在他自己在作证 |
[27:47] | Withdrawn. | 收回 |
[27:48] | Did you and your friends assault Samuel Baxter? | 你和你的朋友是否殴打了Samuel Baxter |
[27:52] | Ok, look. that happened such a long time ago. | 那已经是很久以前的事了 |
[27:54] | You were drinking? | 你当时在喝酒 |
[27:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:57] | And this man, a custodian, | 这个人 这个管理员 |
[27:59] | asked you to pick up some bottles. | 让你把瓶子捡起来 |
[28:02] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:03] | And you beat him up. | 于是你就殴打他 |
[28:04] | Things just got out of control. | 局势失控了 |
[28:07] | The four of you beat him up. | 你们四个人殴打了他 |
[28:08] | A fight ensued. | 他跟我们对打 |
[28:09] | This man asked you to pick up some bottles | 那个人让你把瓶子捡起来 |
[28:11] | and you beat him half to death. | 你们就把他打个半死 |
[28:14] | I read the police report. | 我看了警方的报告 |
[28:16] | Why’d you do that? | 你为什么那么做 |
[28:17] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[28:18] | Couldn’t help yourself? | 控制不住自己 |
[28:19] | I said, I don’t know. | 我说了我不知道 |
[28:20] | Mr. Wilton, | Wilton先生 |
[28:21] | at the time of the incident in question today | 在我们今天所争议的事件发生的当时 |
[28:23] | did you know that your actions inside the SaveWorld Drugstore | 你知道你在SaveWorld杂货店的所作所为 |
[28:27] | were being videotaped by the surveillance camera? | 会被监控摄像头拍下来吗 |
[28:29] | Yes. | 知道 |
[28:30] | If you knew you’d be identified and arrested | 既然你知道自己会被指证 会被拘捕 |
[28:33] | why didn’t you alter your behavior? | 为什么不控制自己的行为呢 |
[28:35] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[28:36] | You don’t know? | 你不知道 |
[28:37] | I don’t know! | 我不知道 |
[28:43] | Could it be that you lost control? | 你是不是失去控制了 |
[28:49] | You look like you’re ready to lose it now, Aaron. | 看起来你现在又快要失去控制了 Aaron |
[28:56] | Legal experts acknowledge that the strategy is an enormous risk | 法律专家表示此种策略存在巨大的风险 |
[28:59] | but one that Wilton’s defense attorneys must think is necessary. | 但是Wilton的辩护律师肯定觉得有这个必要 |
[29:03] | It’s as if, with an all-white jury, | 对于白人组成的陪审团 |
[29:05] | they figure race will be a factor. | 他们认为种族问题是个重要的因素 |
[29:07] | So rather than beat the potential racism | 所以与其抨击种族主义 |
[29:10] | why not use it to your advantage? | 为什么不利用它呢 |
[29:12] | I’d say that nail got hit on the head. | 我觉得我们快完蛋了 |
[29:14] | It isn’t that simple. | 不是那么简单 |
[29:16] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[29:17] | Look. | 听着 |
[29:19] | I’m not gonna pretend that I am proud of this defense. | 我不想假装对这样的辩护策略引以为荣 |
[29:23] | But how is that different from what we did in the Braun case? | 但是这跟Braun的案子有什么区别呢 |
[29:27] | We argued that that the guy had a Jewish right to revenge. | 我们辩护说他根据犹太律法有权复仇 |
[29:30] | This is a lot different. | 区别太大了 |
[29:31] | Why? | 什么区别 |
[29:32] | Gerald Braun avenged the death of his daughter. | Gerold Braun为他死去的女儿复仇 |
[29:34] | We argued that he was acting out of some kind of moral outrage | 我们辩护说他的行为是出于某种道德愤怒 |
[29:36] | and he was. | 这是事实 |
[29:37] | There’s nothing moral about the arguments we’re making now, | 但我们现在的辩护理由毫无道德可言 |
[29:40] | and you know it. | 你很清楚 |
[29:41] | I know you’re angry. | 我知道你很不高兴 |
[29:42] | Rebecca’s out with the blue flu. | Rebecca在怠工 |
[29:44] | You don’t think I know what that’s about? | 你以为我不知道是怎么回事吗 |
[29:45] | But this is what we do, Eugene! | 但这是我们的工作 Eugene |
[29:48] | -Sometimes we… -Hey! | -有时候我们 -嘿 |
[29:49] | I know what we do. | 我们知道我们的工作是什么 |
[29:50] | We get people off. | 我们帮人脱罪 |
[29:52] | We’re good lawyers, | 我们是优秀的律师 |
[29:53] | we come up with the best defenses | 我们提供最优质的辩护 |
[29:54] | there’s nothing we won’t stoop to, | 我们可以为此用尽一切手段 |
[29:55] | we’re the best. | 我们是最好的 |
[29:59] | I know what we do. | 我知道我们做什么工作 |
[30:11] | Eugene, you ready? | Eugene 你准备好了吗 |
[30:12] | Ready. | 准备好了 |
[30:13] | Eugene? For us to have any chance, | Eugene 如果我们想赢 |
[30:15] | you gotta go all out in there. | 你必须使出浑身解数 |
[30:17] | I know. I’m ready. | 我知道 我准备好了 |
[30:18] | And also, how difficult this is… | 还有 这很难 |
[30:23] | I do understand. | 我理解 |
[30:36] | What we thought,given the nature of this suit | 我们的想法是 考虑到这个案子的性质 |
[30:39] | you might wanna submit to binding arbitration.If so… | 你们或许可以提交仲裁 这样的话 |
[30:41] | I don’t, I don’t want arbitration.I want my day in court. | 我不想 我不想仲裁 我要上庭 |
[30:44] | Ok, Myra, you might be spending a dollar to save 50 cents. | Myra 你可能杀敌八百 自损一千 |
[30:46] | I don’t want arbitration.I want my day in court. | 我不要仲裁 我要上庭 |
[30:50] | I’m not afraid of a trial. Why are you? | 我都不怕诉讼 你有什么好怕的 |
[30:52] | I am not af… All right. | 我不是怕 好吧 |
[30:54] | Would you consider small claims court? | 你可以考虑小额索赔法庭吗 |
[30:56] | Small claims court? | 小额索赔法庭 |
[30:57] | Don’t you wanna handle this? | 你不想做这个案子吗 |
[30:59] | To be perfectly honest, Myra, | 我直说吧 Myra |
[31:01] | I think this case is a bit of a nuisance suit. | 我认为这个案子有点滥用诉权 |
[31:03] | Tell me about it. | 说详细点 |
[31:04] | Let’s not inflame the situation. | 别火上浇油 |
[31:06] | Oh, quiet. You fight fire with fire, | 哦 闭嘴 以其人之道还治其人之身 |
[31:08] | don’t tell me not to inflame. | 别告诉我不要火上浇油 |
[31:09] | Okay, this doesn’t have to be a fight. | 好了 我们没必要这样吵 |
[31:12] | Yes, of course it is a fight. | 我们当然就是要吵 |
[31:13] | Why do you think we hired you? | 不然我们雇你干什么呢 |
[31:14] | To lick opposing counsel’s ear lobes? | 去舔对方律师的耳垂吗 |
[31:17] | Okay. You know what? | 先打住 |
[31:18] | I’m gonna need a little time alone with my client. | 我要跟我的当事人单独谈谈 |
[31:20] | Do you mind? | 可以吗 |
[31:21] | No, that’s fine. | 当然 没问题 |
[31:27] | And I apologize because I know this now | 我很抱歉 我知道这意味着 |
[31:29] | means you have to be alone with yours. | 你也要跟你的当事人单独呆着 |
[31:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[31:39] | This isn’t a case of false accusation. | 本案无关乎无端指责 |
[31:45] | I’ve been falsely accused of shoplifting three times. | 我也曾被无端地指责偷窃 三次 |
[31:49] | And I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve felt suspected. | 至于我感觉到被怀疑的次数 我数都数不清了 |
[31:53] | My black friends, | 我的黑人朋友们 |
[31:54] | they talk about being followed around in stores. | 经常说起在杂货店被人盯着 |
[31:57] | It’s sad. | 令人难过 |
[32:00] | But the answer isn’t a riot. | 但我们不能以骚乱来回应 |
[32:04] | And the answer most certainly | 当然更不能因此 |
[32:06] | is not throwing somebody through a window. | 就把某人扔出窗外 |
[32:09] | Basically, they’re asking you to accept | 基本上 他们在要求你们接受这样的观点 |
[32:14] | that when black angry men are in a group | 当愤怒的黑人聚集成群体时 |
[32:18] | it’s an excuse to kill somebody. | 他们就有理由杀害别人 |
[32:23] | And that should offend you as civic-minded people. | 这是对你们作为文明人的冒犯 |
[32:29] | And the suggestion | 而他们所谓的 |
[32:31] | that blacks should be given some special exception | 黑人应该享有某些特权 |
[32:34] | because we, as a race, | 因为我们作为一个种族 |
[32:36] | are just less able to resist violence? | 没有能力克制暴力冲动 |
[32:41] | That’s obscene. | 荒谬 |
[32:45] | And as a black woman, you… | 作为一位黑人女性 你 |
[32:51] | I’ll tell you. | 我想对你们说 |
[33:00] | I’m going to go home | 我今天晚上回家后 |
[33:03] | and weep tonight. | 会伤心哭泣 |
[33:07] | Whether the argument prevails or not, | 不管他们的辩护观点最后是否被采纳 |
[33:10] | no matter. | 都不重要 |
[33:11] | Because I’m going to go home and cry. | 因为我会回家 哭泣 |
[33:16] | Just because it was made. | 只因为有人提出了这样的观点 |
[33:24] | Group contagion. | 群体蔓延 |
[33:27] | Our evidence was uncontested. | 我们的证据无可辩驳 |
[33:29] | We put the leading urban anthropologist on the stand here | 我们有权威的城市人类学家出庭作证 |
[33:32] | and he told you, | 他告诉你们 |
[33:33] | the black man cannot be held psychologically accountable | 当黑人处在群体中时 |
[33:36] | for his actions when he’s in a pack. | 不应当为自己的行为承担责任 |
[33:38] | He has a susceptibility to group violence, | 他有群体暴力的倾向 |
[33:40] | something animal takes over. | 就像动物一样 |
[33:43] | Scientific fact. | 学术事实 |
[33:49] | What crap. | 狗屎 |
[33:52] | Your Honor… | 法官阁下 |
[33:53] | I’m doing my closing! | 我在做结案陈词 |
[34:02] | See, what happened here is that this man | 告诉你 真实的情况是 |
[34:05] | got frustrated and he fought back. | 这个人心生不平 于是他回击 |
[34:07] | He was justified. | 他是正当防卫 |
[34:09] | But as a legal strategy | 但从诉讼策略上考虑 |
[34:10] | we didn’t think we could get you to believe he was justified. | 我们觉得没法说服你们他是正当防卫 |
[34:13] | We thought we have a better chance of convincing a white jury | 我们觉得说服白人陪审团相信 |
[34:17] | that he was an animal, | 他是个动物的胜算更大 |
[34:18] | so it became good legal strategy | 于是我们采用了这个更好的诉讼策略 |
[34:20] | to argue that our client was like some pack animal. | 说我们的当事人像个动物 |
[34:24] | A social deviant. And it’s crap. | 不是个社会正常人 狗屎 |
[34:27] | This is a good man, Aaron Wilton. | 他是个好人 Aaron Wilton |
[34:31] | With a family, a son | 他有家庭 有孩子 |
[34:33] | he’s an executive vice president at his place of work. | 他在公司担任执行副总裁 |
[34:36] | He is a very good man. | 他是个真正的好人 |
[34:42] | He just finally had had it. | 他只是忍受不下去了 |
[34:44] | Seeing somebody being falsely accused | 见到别人被无端指责 |
[34:46] | he sticks up for him, this thing breaks out, | 他挺身而出 局势失控 |
[34:48] | security officers are jumping on him. | 保安扑向他 |
[34:50] | He had damn well had it. | 他实在已经受够了 |
[34:51] | And if you don’t understand how this man | 如果你们不能理解 |
[34:53] | could impulsively lash out,well, all you prove | 他为什么突然爆发 那只能证明 |
[34:58] | is that you don’t understand. | 你们什么都不理解 |
[35:01] | Oh, I know, you can sympathize | 我知道 你们会同情他 |
[35:02] | but until you’ve been yanked out of your car | 但除非你们被从车里拖出来 |
[35:05] | until you’ve been searched just because of how you look | 除非你们仅仅因为长相就被搜身 |
[35:08] | until you see the look of fear in somebody else’s eyes | 除非你看到别人仅仅因为你是黑人 |
[35:12] | staring back at you simply because you’re black | 就用恐惧的眼光打量你 |
[35:17] | Until that kind of thing happens to you over and over | 除非诸如此类的事情在你身上发生 一次 一次 |
[35:21] | and over and over and over, | 一次 一次 又一次 |
[35:25] | you can’t know. | 否则你不可能理解 |
[35:32] | My co-counsel, Bobby Donnell | 我的同事 Bobby Donnell |
[35:36] | looked me in the eyes this morning and said | 今天早上正视我的眼睛对我说 |
[35:39] | he understands. | 他理解 |
[35:42] | He doesn’t. | 他不理解 |
[35:44] | He might think that he does. | 他或许以为自己理解 |
[35:49] | But he doesn’t. | 但其实他不理解 |
[35:54] | Aaron Wilton went to the aid of a victim of racism. | Aaron Wilton想去帮助一个被种族歧视的人 |
[35:58] | He then became the enemy | 他就变成了敌人 |
[35:59] | and was assaulted by security guards. | 遭到保安的攻击 |
[36:02] | And he reacted with moral and personal outrage. | 于是他愤怒 并且付诸行动 |
[36:06] | That’s what happened. | 这才是事实真相 |
[36:16] | I won’t ask any of you to understand. | 我不会要求你们理解 |
[36:20] | I know that’s not possible. | 我知道你们不可能理解 |
[36:25] | All I’ll say | 我要说的只是 |
[36:29] | this man is no deviant. | 这个人不是非正常人 |
[36:33] | This man | 这个人 |
[36:36] | was justified. | 是正当防卫 |
[36:54] | I just mean it’s a silly lawsuit. | 我只是说这个诉讼很傻 |
[36:56] | Silly? Well, | 傻 嗯 |
[36:58] | maybe you’re just trivializing the importance of a honeymoon | 你之所以看淡蜜月的重要性 |
[37:01] | because it helps you cope with the likelihood | 也许是因为这样有助于你接受 |
[37:02] | that you’ll never have one. | 自己可能永远也没机会度蜜月的事实 |
[37:04] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么 |
[37:06] | What was I thinking coming here expecting you | 我怎么就来找你了呢 |
[37:08] | to embrace the idea of sex being important in the union? | 我竟然指望你理解性在夫妻关系中的重要性 |
[37:11] | Don’t turn this on me.Myra. | 别拿我出气 Myra |
[37:12] | You’re the one turning it. You called me stupid. | 是你先挑起来的 你刚刚叫我蠢货 |
[37:14] | I’m not calling you stupid. | 我没叫你蠢货 |
[37:15] | I just said it was silly to prosecute a travel agent. | 我只是说起诉旅行社代理人很傻 |
[37:18] | Yeah, which brings me back to the fact that you don’t have a clue. | 是啊 说明你根本一无所知 |
[37:20] | A clue about what? | 对什么一无所知 |
[37:21] | You know what? Ellenor | 知道吗 Ellenor |
[37:22] | Probably the only long-term sexual relationship | 你这一辈子唯一的长期性关系 |
[37:24] | you’ve ever had has been with your left hand. | 也许就是跟你的左手 |
[37:27] | It was a mistake to come here.Goodbye. | 我真不该来找你 再见 |
[37:31] | Myra Myra? | |
[37:35] | Yes? | 嗯 |
[37:39] | Never insult the left. | 千万不要侮辱我的左手 |
[37:44] | Ellenor Ellenor? | |
[37:45] | She tripped. | 她绊倒了 |
[37:54] | You ought to go before the Bar, | 你该受到律师协会的处罚 |
[37:55] | you should lose your license for a stunt like that. | 你这么做会被吊销执照 |
[37:57] | You want my license? Take my license, take my license. | 你要我的执照吗 拿去 拿去 |
[37:59] | Did you, did you tell the client you’re gonna pull that? | 你有没有 有没有告诉当事人你要那么做 |
[38:01] | Did you ask me? | 有没有问过我 |
[38:01] | I didn’t need to ask. | 我不需要问 |
[38:02] | The hell you didn’t. | 不需要个屁 |
[38:03] | He comes before your black pride.Eugene | 他的利益比你的黑人自尊更重要 Eugene |
[38:05] | Lf he goes to jail… | 如果他进监狱 你怎么 |
[38:06] | Then we got grounds for appeal. | 反正你有理由上诉 |
[38:08] | You can argue his lawyer was a deviant. | 你可以说他的律师是个非正常人 |
[38:10] | It’s irresponsible! | 你这是不负责任 |
[38:11] | All right! | 别吵了 |
[38:15] | All right, look. | 别吵了 |
[38:17] | The truth is,I don’t know if I could’ve lived | 老实说 就算以群体蔓延的理由被判无罪了 |
[38:19] | with an acquittal on that contagion defense anyway. | 我也不知道能不能心安理得地接受 |
[38:22] | How could I explain that to my son, Bobby? | 我该怎么向我的孩子解释 Bobby |
[38:25] | Even so, he should’ve asked you. | 即便如此 他应该先问你的意见 |
[38:29] | It’s like he said. He didn’t need to. | 他说得对 他不需要问 |
[38:36] | Jury’s back. | 陪审团回来了 |
[38:45] | Members of the jury,have you reached a verdict? | 陪审图的成员们 你们达成一致的判决了吗 |
[38:47] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[38:48] | Will the defendant please stand? | 被告请起立 |
[38:54] | How do you find? | 请陪审团宣布判决 |
[38:57] | “In the matter of the Commonwealth v. Aaron David Wilton | 马萨诸塞州诉Aaron David Wilton |
[39:00] | on the first charge of voluntary manslaughter | 第一项关于非蓄谋故意杀人罪的指控 |
[39:03] | we find the defendant not guilty. | 我们判决被告无罪 |
[39:07] | On the second charge of aggravated mayhem | 第二项关于加重的重伤罪指控 |
[39:10] | we find the defendant not guilty. | 我们判决被告无罪 |
[39:13] | On the third charge of felony assault, | 第三项关于重罪伤害罪的指控 |
[39:14] | we find the defendant not guilty.” | 我们判决被告无罪 |
[39:20] | So say you one, so say you all | 你们已经做出一致判决 |
[39:24] | Very well. Members of the jury, | 陪审团的成员们 |
[39:25] | thank you for your service, you’re now excused. | 感谢你们的工作 你们可以解散了 |
[39:28] | Court is adjourned. | 休庭 |
[39:55] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[39:57] | I think your closing did it. | 我想应该归功于你的结案陈词 |
[40:00] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[40:02] | You wanna talk to the press on this or you want me to do it? | 你去接受媒体采访还是我去 |
[40:07] | You’re better at spin. You do it. | 你更擅长 你去吧 |
[40:14] | Eugene, you claim I don’t understand. | Eugene 你说我不理解 |
[40:17] | I’ll accept I’ll accept that. I will. | 我承认 我承认这一点 我承认 |
[40:20] | I don’t understand what it’s like to be subjected… | 我不理解被…是什么感受 |
[40:25] | over and over and over again. | 一次又一次 |
[40:29] | I’ll accept I’ll never get that. | 我承认我永远没法理解 |
[40:33] | But you know a man did die here. | 但是被害人确实死了 |
[40:36] | And the “I’ve had it” theory as a defense to manslaughter | 用这个”我受够了”作为杀人的辩护理由 |
[40:41] | l’ll never understand that either. | 我同样也没法理解 |
[40:50] | Just a legal strategy. | 只是诉讼策略 |
[40:55] | You got yours and | 你有你的策略 |
[41:01] | I got mine. | 我有我的 |
[41:05] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[41:08] | But yours came from your heart. | 但你的策略出自你的内心 |
[41:31] | We simply sought the jury’s understanding | 我们只是希望陪审团能理解事件发生时 |
[41:33] | of Aaron Wilton’s state of mind at the time of the event. | Aaron Wilton的心态 |
[41:36] | That understanding between a white jury and a black defendant | 白人陪审团和黑人被告之间的这种理解 |
[41:39] | can only be construed as a positive outcome | 无疑应当视为积极的结果 |
[41:42] | beyond the guilt or innocence of one man. | 超越了某个个体的有罪或无罪 |
[41:45] | It’s a larger statement for our Commonwealth | 对我们的州 和我们的国家 |
[41:48] | and for our country. | 意义更加重大 |