| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:02] | This law firm doesn’t advertise. | 我们事务所不打广告 | 
| [00:04] | Lots of lawyers do commercials. | 很多律师都打广告 | 
| [00:06] | Yeah, the shysters. | 嗯 那些讼棍们 | 
| [00:07] | I wanna contribute here, I wonna bring in business. | 我想做点贡献 我想开拓客户 | 
| [00:09] | At least give me the chance. | 至少给我个机会 | 
| [00:11] | Think nobody will fight for you, | 你觉得没有人肯为你而战 | 
| [00:12] | you’re just a grunt? I’m a grunt. | 觉得自己只是个”草根” 我就是”草根” | 
| [00:14] | Just dial the number: 555-GRNT.And ask for Jimmy. | 拨这个电话 555-GRNT 找Jimmy | 
| [00:20] | I’ll get you money. | 我可以帮你争取赔偿 | 
| [00:21] | Doing a commercial? It embarrasses this place. | 打广告? 败坏事务所的形象 | 
| [00:24] | There’s little people out there, | 有很多小人物 | 
| [00:25] | hacks with small claims the size of a blackhead | 为小小的诉讼而头痛 | 
| [00:27] | you’d go running to your dermatologist to have removed. | 你根本都不屑一顾的诉讼 | 
| [00:29] | I’m happy for you that you don’t fit into that category. I do. | 很高兴你不是那样的人 但我是 | 
| [00:33] | And I’m selling what I got to sell. | 我只能提供这样的服务 | 
| [00:36] | Jimmy, I’m sorry.Bobby says I got this complex… | Jimmy 对不起 Bobby说我内心渴望 | 
| [00:40] | that I want to be the law firm across the street. | 成为街对面那样的律师事务所 | 
| [00:43] | I really am sorry for saying what I said. | 我跟你说的那些 我真的非常抱歉 | 
| [00:48] | Okay, everybody, listen up. | 各位 听好了 | 
| [00:51] | Excuse me. What we do is a lottery. | 不好意思 我们要抽签 | 
| [00:55] | Now, only six of you will actually get in to see Jimmy the Grunt. | 只有六个人可以进去见”草根律师”Jimmy | 
| [01:01] | The rest of you… Excuse me. | 其他人 抱歉 | 
| [01:03] | I’m sorry. Will either have to see other lawyers… | 对不起 要么找其他律师 | 
| [01:07] | or come back tomorrow and reenter | 要么只有明天再来… | 
| [01:13] | the lottery. Or you can wait for a call. | 抽签 或者等我们的电话 | 
| [01:17] | You have informational sheets to fill out. | 请你们填一下表格 | 
| [01:21] | Please indicate the nature of your problem on line number three. | 请在第三行填上你们有什么样的麻烦 | 
| [01:27] | Very important, line number four… | 非常重要 第四行… | 
| [01:30] | I’m sorry, ma’am. My daughter has Tourette syndrome. | 对不起 女士 我女儿有妥瑞症 | 
| [01:33] | That’s why we’re here. | 我们就是为这个来的 | 
| [01:35] | She got expelled from her school. We need a lawyer. | 她被学校开除了 我们需要律师 | 
| [01:39] | Well, I think we’ll exempt you from the lottery. | 哦 那你就不用抽签了 | 
| [01:42] | Come on in. | 进来吧 | 
| [01:47] | Excuse me. Hi. | 不好意思 | 
| [01:49] | What if you’re not here to see Jimmy the Grunt, | 如果我不找”草根Jimmy” | 
| [01:51] | do you still have to go through the lottery? | 也需要抽签吗 | 
| [01:53] | – Who are you here to see? – Bobby Donnell. | -你找谁 -Bobby Donnell | 
| [01:55] | – Oh, well, he stepped out. – Sharon? | -哦 他出去了 -Sharon | 
| [01:59] | Hi. | 嗨 | 
| [02:02] | Wow. It’s been a long time. | 哇 好久没见了 | 
| [02:04] | Yeah. | 是啊 | 
| [02:06] | Another ex-girlfriend? | 又是前女友 | 
| [02:07] | She was my senior prom date. | 她是我毕业舞会的舞伴 | 
| [02:13] | – Hi. – Hi. | -嗨 -嗨 | 
| [02:18] | – Well, you look… – So do you. So do you. | -呃 你看起来… -你也是 你也是 | 
| [02:22] | Come on in. | 请进 | 
| [02:25] | Anybody else here used to date Attorney Donnell? | 还有谁跟Donnell律师约会过 | 
| [03:16] | They said her outbursts were too disruptive. | 他们说她发作的时候引起混乱 | 
| [03:18] | – The teachers? – Yeah. | -老师们说的? -是的 | 
| [03:20] | See, these are tics. | 你看 就是这样抽搐 | 
| [03:22] | What happens is she tries to control them | 她努力克制抽搐 | 
| [03:23] | becauseshe doesn’t wanna distract the class. But… | 因为她不想干扰其他同学 但是 | 
| [03:26] | The more she holds them in, | 她越用力控制 | 
| [03:27] | the bigger the outbursts when they happen. | 发作的时候就越严重 | 
| [03:30] | Ellenor, this little girl was tossed out of school because of a disability. | Ellenor 这个小女孩因为残疾被开除 | 
| [03:36] | Tourette’s syndrome. Ellenor Frutt, | 妥瑞症 Ellenor Frutt | 
| [03:38] | this is Lisa and William Wright. | 这是Lisa和William Wright | 
| [03:40] | – Hi. – Nice to meet you. | -嗨 -幸会 | 
| [03:42] | Hi. It’s Lisa? | 嗨 你是Lisa? | 
| [03:44] | Yeah. Nice to meet you. | 嗯 很高兴认识你 | 
| [03:45] | Hi. | 嗨 | 
| [03:47] | Been reading about you in the papers. | 在报纸上看过你的报道 | 
| [03:50] | Seen your face on the news. | 在新闻上看到过你 | 
| [03:53] | – You’ve been busy. – Well, so have you, huh? | -你很忙 -呃 你也是 | 
| [03:56] | Two kids. | 你有两个孩子 | 
| [03:58] | I have pictures. | 我有他们的照片 | 
| [04:03] | All right, here is Melissa. She’s 13. | 这是Melissa 她13岁 | 
| [04:08] | – She’s beautiful. -Going on 20. | -很漂亮 -青春年少 | 
| [04:09] | And that’s Justin. He just turned 5. | 这是Justin 他刚满5岁 | 
| [04:12] | They’re great. | 真好 | 
| [04:14] | – What about your husband? – Oh, long gone. | -你丈夫怎么样 -哦 早就离了 | 
| [04:20] | I married young. | 我结婚时很年轻 | 
| [04:22] | He was in law school, full of idealism. | 他上法学院 充满理想主义 | 
| [04:25] | I was swept away. | 我被迷死了 | 
| [04:27] | – What happened? – He became a lawyer. | -后来怎么了 -他成了律师 | 
| [04:36] | – So… – Yeah, so… | -然后… -是啊 然后 | 
| [04:42] | This is the hard part. | 我有点难以启齿 | 
| [04:46] | I’m in some trouble. | 我有麻烦 | 
| [04:48] | What kind of trouble? | 什么麻烦 | 
| [04:51] | I’ve been arrested. | 我被捕了 | 
| [04:53] | What? | 什么 | 
| [04:56] | Bobby, my architectural career didn’t exactly take off. | Bobby 我的建筑师工作并不顺利 | 
| [05:02] | So I started supplementing my income. | 我只好做点兼职 | 
| [05:10] | As a call girl. | 当应召女郎 | 
| [05:17] | Well, you know, it… | 呃 你知道… | 
| [05:23] | What? | 什么 | 
| [05:25] | Yeah. | 嗯 | 
| [05:27] | And if you’re not the last person on earth | 如果你不是这个世界上 | 
| [05:31] | I would want to find out about this, | 我最不想让他知道这件事的人 | 
| [05:32] | you’re certainly on the short list. | 你至少是我最不想告诉的几个人之一 | 
| [05:36] | The two people that would be last | 我最不想告诉的两个人 | 
| [05:39] | are in this picture. | 是刚才照片上那两个 | 
| [05:44] | I cannot have them find out. | 我不能让他们发现 | 
| [05:51] | As far as I’ve read, you seem like a good lawyer. | 从我看到的新闻报道 你看来是个好律师 | 
| [05:54] | And I need someone I can trust. | 而且我需要一个信得过的人 | 
| [06:03] | -Take it easy. -I won’t take it easy! | -淡定点 -我没法淡定 | 
| [06:05] | It keeps eating my exhibits. You hit it. | 它一直在吞吃我的证据 你敲它一下 | 
| [06:07] | If I hit it, it’ll be dead. | 如果我敲它 那它就挂了 | 
| [06:08] | What’s the matter? | 什么问题 | 
| [06:10] | The matter is I’m in trial at 2:00. | 问题是我两点钟要开庭 | 
| [06:11] | This damn machine is broken again. | 这该死的复印机又坏了 | 
| [06:12] | I mean, why can’t we get a new one? | 我们就不能买个新的吗 | 
| [06:13] | We beat the stupid tobacco company. | 我们打赢了该死的烟草公司 | 
| [06:15] | We have money.Why can’t we get a new machine? | 我们有钱 我们为什么不买个新复印机 | 
| [06:18] | Is this a Boston thing? | 这是波士顿人的做派吗 | 
| [06:18] | Does everything have to be a relic Paul Revere used? | 每样东西都要用得跟保罗·里维尔废墟似的吗 | 
| [06:21] | Trials make you nervous, don’t they? | 出庭让你紧张 对吧 | 
| [06:24] | What’s that? | 那是什么 | 
| [06:26] | The commercials are going good,you know. | 广告的效果还不错 | 
| [06:28] | So the marketing people came up with this. | 所以 他们的业务员送了我这个 | 
| [06:30] | It’s just a prototype. | 就是个模型 | 
| [06:34] | Are you a grunt? I’m a grunt. | 你是”草根”吗 我是”草根” | 
| [06:36] | Call me. | 给我打电话 | 
| [06:37] | I’m not sure it’s classy. | 我觉得不怎么好 | 
| [06:44] | It’s a blatant discrimination. | 这是公然的歧视 | 
| [06:46] | I’d at least think they’d try to disguise it. | 我还以为他们至少会掩饰一下 | 
| [06:48] | Your honor, the school feels terrible, | 法官阁下 学校也很抱歉 | 
| [06:49] | they don’t want to expel her, | 他们不想开除她 | 
| [06:51] | but there are a lot of students who’s interests are… | 但是还有很多其他学生 他们的利益… | 
| [06:52] | I have seen no suggestion that the interest of the students | 我没看到有证据显示其他学生的利益 | 
| [06:55] | have been compromised by having Lisa in the… | 因为Lisa而受损 她的存在… | 
| [06:56] | She yells out during class. She jumps up and down. | 她在课堂上叫喊 她跳上跳下 | 
| [07:08] | I suspect that despite Lisa’s outburst right here | 我认为虽然Lisa在法庭上发作 | 
| [07:11] | the court will carry out and conclude its business. | 法庭仍然能够继续履行并完成自己的职责 | 
| [07:13] | I also suspect that the teachers could carry out | 我同样认为教师也能在课堂上 | 
| [07:15] | and complete their business in the classroom. | 继续履行并完成教学职责 | 
| [07:17] | This is an intelligent young girl. | 她是个聪明的小姑娘 | 
| [07:18] | Is this the way we’re gonna deal with her? | 我们就这样对待她吗 | 
| [07:20] | I wanna conduct an evidentiary hearing. | 我要安排一次证据听证 | 
| [07:22] | And I want to hear from the school principal. | 我要听听学校校长的说法 | 
| [07:25] | I would then like to talk to Lisa. | 然后跟Lisa谈谈 | 
| [07:27] | We could start this afternoon. | 今天下午开始吧 | 
| [07:32] | Three o’clock. | 三点钟 | 
| [07:38] | Okay, thanks. | 好的 谢谢 | 
| [07:42] | They’re willing to deal,but open-ended. | 他们愿意和解 但是有条件 | 
| [07:46] | What does that mean? | 什么意思 | 
| [07:47] | It means if you give them enough to help crack the prostitution ring | 意思是 如果你帮他们打掉这个卖淫团伙 | 
| [07:50] | you’ll be off with no finding. | 你就不会被定罪 | 
| [07:52] | More important, no record. | 更重要的是 不会留下案底 | 
| [07:54] | But from what you’ve told me, | 但是根据你告诉我的那些 | 
| [07:55] | I’m not sure we got enough to give them. | 我们能向他们提供的信息很有限 | 
| [07:58] | -I told you everything I know. -No, I understand. | -我知道的全部都告诉你了 -我知道 | 
| [08:00] | But it may not be enough | 但是可能还不足以 | 
| [08:02] | to secure convictions against the escort service. | 给这个伴游公司定罪 | 
| [08:05] | So, what do we do? | 那我们怎么办 | 
| [08:07] | Well, we might as well try. | 呃 我们可以试一试 | 
| [08:08] | We got nothing to lose. | 我们没什么可损失的 | 
| [08:09] | Settlement negotiations are inadmissible. | 辩诉交易的谈判不能作为证据 | 
| [08:12] | So if we don’t like what we get, we can still go to trial. | 所以 如果达不成交易 我们还是可以上庭 | 
| [08:15] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [08:20] | Look, this might not…be my business, but… | 呃 这或许不关我的事 但是… | 
| [08:27] | I had no money. | 我没钱 | 
| [08:29] | I was facing eviction, so I did it one time. | 我的房子要被强制收回 所以我就做了一次 | 
| [08:33] | Just once. | 就一次 | 
| [08:36] | Then twice. Just two times. | 然后就有了第二次 就两次 | 
| [08:41] | And now every time is my last time. | 现在 每一次都是最后一次 | 
| [08:49] | And I’ve been saying that for three years. | 这”最后一次”已经持续了三年 | 
| [08:53] | Well, Sharon, I mean… | Sharon 我想… | 
| [08:56] | -there’s other ways. – Not for that kind of money. | -总有其它办法的 -但挣钱不像这么容易 | 
| [09:00] | I kept the condo after the divorce. The mortgage payment. | 离婚后房子给了我 我还要还按揭 | 
| [09:08] | My kids pretty much lost their father, and I… | 孩子们已经失去了父亲 我… | 
| [09:12] | I didn’t want them to lose their home. | 我不能让他们再失去自己的家 | 
| [09:18] | Bobby, I don’t need to be told how stupid I was. | Bobby 我用不着别人告诉我有多愚蠢 | 
| [09:23] | All right. Well… | 好吧 呃… | 
| [09:25] | Let’s, let’s talk to the detective. | 我们 我们去跟警官谈谈 | 
| [09:28] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [09:32] | I remember them saying they had to operate. | 我记得他们说必须动手术 | 
| [09:34] | Then they put me out. | 然后就给我上麻醉 | 
| [09:35] | And you consented to the operation yourself? | 你自己同意做手术的? | 
| [09:37] | But I never agreed to the maggots. | 但是我从来没有同意用蛆 | 
| [09:40] | When did you first realize | Blake太太 你是什么时候发现 | 
| [09:41] | Mrs. Blake, that the doctor had sewn maggots into your leg? | 医生把蛆缝进你的腿里面的 | 
| [09:45] | When I came out of surgery, | 我从手术室出来 | 
| [09:46] | he said it would help heal the wound. | 他告诉我这样有助于伤口愈合 哈 | 
| [09:50] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么 | 
| [09:51] | Ha | 哈 | 
| [09:52] | -Objection. -Jury will disregard “ha.” | -反对 -陪审团请忽略”哈” | 
| [09:55] | I have a phobia when it comes to worms and snakes and so forth. | 我对虫子 蛇之类的有恐惧症 | 
| [10:02] | I have had ongoing nightmares,insomnia, weight loss, anxiety | 我一直做噩梦失眠 体重减轻 焦虑 | 
| [10:09] | even delusions sometimes. | 有时候甚至出现幻觉 | 
| [10:11] | What kind of delusions? | 什么幻觉 | 
| [10:13] | Delusions that they are still in me, | 我感觉它们 还在我身体里 | 
| [10:17] | these fat albino worms | 那些肥胖的白色蠕虫 | 
| [10:22] | inside my skin, chewing my dead tissue. | 在我皮肤里面 吞噬着我坏死的组织 | 
| [10:26] | Squirming around, | 四面八方地蠕动 | 
| [10:27] | excreting their larvae into my veins | 在我的血管里面产下幼虫 | 
| [10:30] | spewing their putrid little bacterial germs into my bloodstream. | 在我血液里面吐着它们腐烂的细菌 | 
| [10:35] | Maggots. Big, fat, vicious maggots. | 蛆 巨大的 肥胖的 恶心的蛆 | 
| [10:41] | I have delusions that my entire person is being infected and invaded | 我觉得自己整个人都被感染和侵犯 | 
| [10:46] | by big, fat, white, chewing,vicious maggots. | 被这些巨大的 肥胖的 白色的 贪吃的 恶心的蛆 | 
| [10:51] | How’s your leg today, ma’am? | 你的腿现在怎么样了 女士 | 
| [10:53] | -This isn’t about my leg. -Yes, ma’am. | -这跟我的腿无关 -是的 | 
| [10:55] | But my question is, how’s your leg? | 但我的问题是 你的腿怎么样了 | 
| [10:57] | It’s fine. | 很好 | 
| [10:59] | -Fully recovered? -Yes. | -完全康复了? -是的 | 
| [11:01] | -Suffer any infection? -No. | -发生过感染没有 -没有 | 
| [11:03] | Did you consult with other doctors | 你手术之后有没有咨询过 | 
| [11:04] | or surgeons after your operation? Mrs. Blake? | 其他的医生 Blake女士 | 
| [11:07] | Yes. | 有 | 
| [11:07] | Any of them say you were lucky to keep your leg | 他们有没有说 你在车祸之后 | 
| [11:09] | after the car accident? | 能保住这条腿算是走运 | 
| [11:10] | I’m not criticizing his surgical skills, so let’s not twist it. | 我并没有质疑他的医术 所以 不要跑题 | 
| [11:14] | You’re suing him, ma’am. | 你把他告上法庭 女士 | 
| [11:16] | He saved your leg, and you’re suing him. | 他保住了你的腿 你却来告他 | 
| [11:18] | That’s the twist. | 这才是跑题 | 
| [11:20] | Have you sought psychiatric help after this incident? | 这件事发生之后你有没有找过心理医生 | 
| [11:22] | Yes, I have. | 有 | 
| [11:24] | -In fact, you sought help… -Objection, objection, objection. | -实际上 你寻求… -反对 反对 反对 | 
| [11:28] | -Hold on. -Sidebar? | -肃静 -侧室? | 
| [11:30] | Yes. Speed it up. | 是 快点 | 
| [11:36] | I’m attempting to show she was getting psychiatric help before… | 我是想证明她在进行心理治疗… | 
| [11:39] | Eggshell doctrine doesn’t matter. You take your plaintiff as… | “蛋壳原则”不适用 你把原告当作… | 
| [11:41] | I’m certainly entitled to persue this line of questioning. | 我当然有权提这些问题 | 
| [11:43] | It’s irrelevant. | 这些问题与本案无关 | 
| [11:44] | No, it isn’t, counsel. | 是的 是无关 律师 | 
| [11:45] | You can redirect and rehabilitate, | 你可以再次询问予以纠正 | 
| [11:47] | but he can ask. Step back. | 但是他有权提问 退下 | 
| [11:48] | Just one second. | 稍等片刻 | 
| [11:49] | I don’t want the jury to think I walked up here | 我不想让陪审团觉得 | 
| [11:51] | just to get quickly rebuffed. | 我一过来就被法官驳斥 | 
| [11:52] | It’ll make me look weak. | 那样会让我显得弱势 | 
| [11:53] | So I’m gonna stay right here pointing my finger at you for a second. | 所以我要在这里对你们指指点点 | 
| [12:00] | Because if I’m here losing this point, | 这样即使这个小争议我输了 | 
| [12:01] | I’m at least gonna look authoritative **. | 至少让我显得很强硬 | 
| [12:03] | Thank you, I’m finished. Now I will step back. | 谢谢 我说完了 现在我可以退下 | 
| [12:14] | Does she have to be there? | 她非去不可吗 | 
| [12:16] | -Well… -It’s a stressful room. | -呃… -那里气氛很紧张 | 
| [12:18] | She’s gonna tic worse, | 她会发作得更厉害 | 
| [12:19] | and if the judge sees that, you know. | 如果让法官看到 你知道 | 
| [12:22] | I’d absolutely want you there, Mr. Wright. | 你自己一定要去 Wright先生 | 
| [12:24] | Oh, okay. Can she wait here? | 哦 好的 她可以在这里等吗 | 
| [12:27] | Oh, she can stay with me. | 哦 我可以照看她 | 
| [12:29] | -Really? -No problem. | -真的吗 -没有问题 | 
| [12:31] | She’s not going to break any decorum in here. | 她会很有礼貌的 | 
| [12:34] | -Trust me. -Thanks. | -相信我 -谢谢 | 
| [12:39] | I would get $600 from the escort service. | 伴游公司付给我600块 | 
| [12:42] | And then whatever extra would be determined during the date. | 其它的额外服务在伴游期间自己谈 | 
| [12:46] | You’d have sex with the clients? | 你跟客人发生性行为? | 
| [12:48] | About 60 to 70 percent. | 大约60%到70%的客人 | 
| [12:51] | Intercourse? -Yes. | -性交? -是 | 
| [12:53] | -Oral sex? | 口交? | 
| [12:54] | It doesn’t matter, she admitted she did. | 问这些没有意义 她已经承认了 | 
| [12:56] | Actually, it does. | 有意义 | 
| [12:57] | Some kinds of sex acts are illegal | 因为有些形式的性行为本身就是违法的 | 
| [12:59] | regardless of whether it’s prostitution or not. | 不管是不是有偿性交易 | 
| [13:01] | There was none of that. | 我们没有 | 
| [13:03] | And it was condition upon your employment with this escort service | 与客人发生性交易是这家伴游公司 | 
| [13:06] | that you had sex with your clients? | 雇请你们的条件之一吗 | 
| [13:09] | -It was understood. -What does that mean? | -我们有默契 -什么意思 | 
| [13:12] | Well, they never said | 他们从来没有明确说 | 
| [13:14] | that you must have sex with the clients. | 你必须跟客人发生性行为 | 
| [13:15] | They only said that whatever happened during the date | 他们只是说 在伴游期间发生的事情 | 
| [13:19] | would be pretty much up to us. | 由我们自己决定 | 
| [13:21] | But it became clear that if you refused to oblige the client | 但是我们都知道 如果拒绝客人的要求 | 
| [13:24] | you probably wouldn’t work much. | 可能以后接活儿的机会就少了 | 
| [13:26] | What about the money you got directly from the client? | 客人付给你们的钱怎么处理的 | 
| [13:29] | The negotiated part of the date? | 你们自己跟客人谈的那部分 | 
| [13:30] | Did any of that go to the escort service? | 要交给伴游公司吗 | 
| [13:32] | No. | 不 | 
| [13:36] | This is a waste of my time. | 你们是在浪费我的时间 | 
| [13:38] | But we all knew that it was part of the job. | 但是我们都知道那是工作内容的一部分 | 
| [13:39] | If you… | 如果你… | 
| [13:41] | But you’ve given me absolutely nothing | 但是你没有给我提供任何有用的东西 | 
| [13:42] | I can use to get this escort service. Have you? | 让我可以对付伴游公司 有吗 | 
| [13:45] | -I don’t know. -You don’t know? | -我不知道 -你不知道? | 
| [13:48] | Seems to me you do know. | 我看你知道得很清楚 | 
| [13:49] | Seems to me you’re the perfect employee over there. | 我看你正是模范雇员 | 
| [13:51] | -Hey. -Hey, what? | -嘿 -嘿什么嘿 | 
| [13:52] | Help me out here, counsel. You’re a lawyer. | 你说呢 你是律师 | 
| [13:55] | Just what the hell has she bestowed me with here? | 她告诉我的都是些什么 | 
| [13:57] | Remorse? I’m suppose to say “never mind” | 后悔? 难道我该说”没关系” | 
| [14:00] | because she looks sad? | 就因为她看起来很伤心? | 
| [14:01] | Mr. Morrison, you don’t know me. | Morrison先生 你不了解我 | 
| [14:04] | I have no record. My crime here is pretty much victimless. | 我没有前科 我的罪行没有伤害其他人 | 
| [14:07] | But I have two children | 但是我有两个孩子 | 
| [14:09] | who will very much be victims if… | 他们会被深深地伤害 如果… | 
| [14:10] | You should’ve thought about that before. Ma’am | 你早就该想到这一点 女士 | 
| [14:12] | I know that. | 我知道 | 
| [14:16] | And I also know that you have a job to do. | 我也知道这是你的工作 | 
| [14:18] | I guess… | 我想… | 
| [14:20] | l’m assuming that you have some discretion. | 我猜你总有一点决定权 | 
| [14:25] | And I’m pleading that you use it here | 我知道你并没有义务这样做 | 
| [14:28] | knowing full well you owe me nothing. | 但是我请求你放我一马 | 
| [14:35] | Maggot therapy is not hocus-pocus. | 蛆虫疗法不是变戏法 | 
| [14:37] | And I take exception to that suggestion. | 我反对这种说法 | 
| [14:39] | Is this therapy common, Dr. Cloves? | 这种疗法很普遍吗 Cloves医生 | 
| [14:42] | Not common, maybe. Certainly effective. | 也许并不普遍 但肯定有效 | 
| [14:44] | -Sometimes superior. -Why? | -有时候疗效非常好 -为什么 | 
| [14:46] | Well, many drug therapies combat bacteria. | 很多药物都可以杀灭病菌 | 
| [14:49] | But maggots not only help to destroy bacteria | 但是蛆不仅仅能够杀灭病菌 | 
| [14:52] | they also help débride the wound. | 它们还可以帮助清理伤口 | 
| [14:54] | Moreover, they actually help stimulate live tissue. | 而且 它们还能刺激正常的组织 | 
| [14:57] | Did you inform Mrs. Blake that | 你是否事先告知过Blake女士 | 
| [14:58] | you were going to sew maggots into her leg? | 你要把蛆缝到她的腿里面 | 
| [15:01] | I couldn’t at the time. She was still unconscious. | 我没法告知她 她还处在昏迷状态 | 
| [15:04] | I see. And it’s cheaper to use maggots | 我明白了 而且用蛆 | 
| [15:06] | than sulfur or other commercial drugs, isn’t it? | 比用硫磺或其它药物更便宜 不是吗 | 
| [15:09] | This wasn’t about the cost. | 我们没考虑费用 | 
| [15:10] | It was about this therapy being the best. | 我们考虑的是这种疗法效果最佳 | 
| [15:13] | Let me see if I get it. What happens is… | 看我搞明白没有 是不是这么回事 | 
| [15:15] | you put the maggots into the wound | 你把蛆放到伤口里面 | 
| [15:17] | to eat at the patient’s tissue. | 让它们吃掉病人的组织 | 
| [15:19] | Yes. The maggot somehow knows to eat only the dead tissue. | 是的 蛆只吃那些坏死的组织 | 
| [15:23] | And, if I understand it, | 如果我没搞错 | 
| [15:25] | it can also kill bacteria even without eating it? | 蛆还可以杀死病菌 而不是吃掉它 | 
| [15:28] | Yes. In their excretions there’s a compound | 是的 在它们的分泌物中有一种成分 | 
| [15:30] | that’s lethal to bacteria. | 可以杀死病菌 | 
| [15:32] | And how does the maggot help the live tissue? | 蛆对正常的组织有什么好处 | 
| [15:35] | By massaging it, stimulating it. | 可以按摩 刺激正常的组织 | 
| [15:37] | You mean by crawling over it and squirming around? | 你的意思是到处爬 到处蠕动? | 
| [15:42] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [15:42] | -Squirming around inside the patient. -Yes | -在病人体内到处蠕动 -是的 | 
| [15:45] | -While it eats tissue. -Yes. | -同时还吞食组织 -是的 | 
| [15:47] | -And while it excretes its feces. -Yes. | -同时还排泄废物 -是的 | 
| [15:50] | And what eventually happens to the maggot, Dr. Cloves? | 那些蛆最后怎么办 Cloves医生 | 
| [15:53] | It eventually metamorphoses into a fly. | 最后羽化成苍蝇 | 
| [16:00] | E-C-H-O-L-A-L-l-A E-C-H-O-L-A-L-l-A. | |
| [16:07] | -Echo- what? -Echolalia. | -Echo什么 -Echolalia | 
| [16:09] | It means repeating a word over and over again. | 意思是不断地重复某个词 | 
| [16:12] | It’s part of Tourette’s. | 是妥瑞征的症状之一 | 
| [16:13] | Well, you’re not getting credit for it until I look it up. | 呃 我得先查查 然后再看算不算你的分 | 
| [16:16] | Let’s see. Echo… | 我看看 Echo | 
| [16:23] | It seems to be a real word. | 好像真的有这个词 | 
| [16:26] | -Oops. -Sorry. | -哎呀 -对不起 | 
| [16:28] | You did that because I’m winning. | 你是因为输了才故意的吧 | 
| [16:31] | She’s a wonderful girl. | 她是个很优秀的女孩子 | 
| [16:33] | She’s very bright. And we’d love to keep her. | 非常聪明 我们也想把她留下来 | 
| [16:36] | But we have to balance her interests | 但是我们不得不在她的利益和 | 
| [16:37] | against those of the others in her class. | 全班其他学生的利益之间取舍 | 
| [16:40] | And how exactly does Lisa compromise | 具体地说 Lisa怎么损害了 | 
| [16:42] | those interests, Mr. Gilbert? | 其他学生的利益 Gilbert先生 | 
| [16:44] | Well, she lets out these little yips. | 呃 她会发出这种怪叫 | 
| [16:48] | Like this: | 就像这样 | 
| [16:51] | And when she gets nervous, she’ll stomp her feet on the floor | 当她紧张的时候 她就跺脚 | 
| [16:55] | or stand up and twirl around. | 或站起来转圈 | 
| [16:57] | And this happens a lot during exams. | 而且在考试的时候经常发生 | 
| [17:00] | And this was why she was thrown out? | 这就是她被开除的原因? | 
| [17:02] | For stomping her foot or making yip sounds? | 因为跺脚或者发出怪叫声? | 
| [17:05] | I’m the principal. I have to make the school work. | 我是校长 我要保证学校的正常运转 | 
| [17:07] | And did you talk to the other students | 你有没有跟其他学生谈过 | 
| [17:08] | to help them understand Lisa’s disorder? | 让他们理解Lisa是个病人? | 
| [17:11] | Yes. But I can’t mandate to a student body | 谈过 但是如果确实存在令他们分心的事物 | 
| [17:13] | that they not be distracted by something that distracts. | 我没办法强迫他们不分心 | 
| [17:16] | I could tell you not to jump when a car backfires | 当车子回火的时候 我可以告诉你不要跳车 | 
| [17:19] | but a boom is a boom. | 但是”砰砰”声还是会响 | 
| [17:21] | Yes, but if a car kept going boom, | 是的 但是如果车子一直”砰砰”响 | 
| [17:23] | I’d eventually get used to it. | 我最后总会习惯 | 
| [17:24] | And what’s to say that Lisa’s classmates wouldn’t have | 凭什么说Lisa的同学就不能适应呢 | 
| [17:27] | gotten used to her tics if they would have … | 如果他们能够… | 
| [17:28] | I’m telling you they didn’t. | 我告诉你他们不能适应 | 
| [17:29] | Do you know what the phenomenon of habituation is? Mr. Gilbert? | 你知道什么叫”适应现象”吗 Gilbert先生 | 
| [17:32] | Yes. It’s a fancy name for saying “you’ll get used to it.” | 知道 不过是”你会习惯的”另一种说法 | 
| [17:36] | But I’m telling you, the problem was ongoing. | 但是我告诉你 问题是一直存在的 | 
| [17:38] | The problem was ongoing, in part, | 问题一直存在 部分原因在于 | 
| [17:41] | because the ignorance was ongoing. | 你们对问题的忽视也是一直存在的 | 
| [17:42] | Did you ever explain to Lisa’s classmates | 你有没有向Lisa的同学解释过 | 
| [17:44] | what Tourette’s is | 妥瑞症是怎么回事 | 
| [17:45] | or only that she had it? | 还是仅仅告诉他们她患有妥瑞症 | 
| [17:47] | Doctors don’t exactly understand what it is. | 医生都不知道妥瑞症到底是怎么回事 | 
| [17:49] | No. There’s a lot that is understood. | 不 人们对妥瑞症已经有了相当的了解 | 
| [17:50] | Mr. Gilbert. And the truth is,you didn’t make any effort. | Gilbert先生 事实上 你根本没有尽力 | 
| [17:53] | When was the last time you set foot | 你有多久没去过 | 
| [17:55] | into an urban public school, counsel? | 城市里的公立学校了? | 
| [17:57] | Please, just answer the question. | 请回答我的问题 谢谢 | 
| [17:58] | The answer is | 我的回答是 | 
| [18:00] | we’d love to take time out to tend to special needs. | 我们很乐意花时间照顾有特殊需要的孩子 | 
| [18:03] | But we’re underfunded, understaffed, | 但是我们经费短缺 人手不足 | 
| [18:05] | and overpopulated. | 而学生又太多 | 
| [18:06] | There’s a name for it.It’s called public school. | 这很普遍 这就是公立学校 | 
| [18:08] | And like it or not, we’re not about individual attention. | 不管你喜不喜欢 我们并不开展个体教育 | 
| [18:11] | We’re about teaching large groups. | 我们开办的是团体教育 | 
| [18:13] | Throwing the education at a bunch of students | 教育的对象是一大群 | 
| [18:16] | all lumped into one big group, and hoping to hell | 形成一个团体的学生 并且迫切期望 | 
| [18:19] | the learning sticks with more kids than not. | 教的孩子越多越好 而不是相反 | 
| [18:21] | And if one kid is different,just throw her out. | 如果哪个孩子与众不同 那就把她甩出去? | 
| [18:24] | If she’s adversely affecting everybody else? | 如果她对其他人造成了不利的影响? | 
| [18:26] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [18:31] | So basically, I’m sunk? | 基本上 我算是完了? | 
| [18:32] | Well, it isn’t over yet. | 呃 还是有机会 | 
| [18:33] | He said he’d think about it. Let’s… | 他说他会考虑 我们… | 
| [18:35] | Let’s wait. | 我们再等等 | 
| [18:36] | But you don’t hold out much hope. | 但是你已经不抱什么期望了 | 
| [18:37] | This detective isn’t ** the compassionate one. | 这位警官看来没有多少同情心 | 
| [18:40] | We could still go to trial, though. | 不过 我们还是可以上庭 | 
| [18:41] | This case isn’t a slam dunk. | 这个案子也不是必输无疑 | 
| [18:43] | If we go to trial, how will my kids? | 如果我们上庭 我的孩子们怎么办 | 
| [18:46] | They’ll find out. | 他们会发现真相 | 
| [18:49] | I mean, that’s the whole point. I can’t. | 这就是最关键的问题 我不能让他们发现 | 
| [18:53] | Also, with a record, | 而且 一旦被定罪 | 
| [18:54] | if my husband ever challenges for custody… | 如果我前夫要争夺抚养权 | 
| [19:01] | I know. | 我知道 | 
| [19:03] | I made my bed here. | 这一切是我自己造成的 | 
| [19:09] | Well, thanks for walking me. | 嗯 谢谢你送我 | 
| [19:13] | Yeah. | 不客气 | 
| [19:17] | Do you remember the first time you walked me to the door? | 还记得你第一次送我回家吗 | 
| [19:21] | I remember it took me 20 minutes | 我记得我足足花了20分钟 | 
| [19:23] | just to work up the courage to kiss you. | 终于鼓起勇气去亲你 | 
| [19:25] | Then, just as I started to, your father opened the door. | 然后 我正准备亲的时候 你父亲开门了 | 
| [19:29] | Yeah, he said, “Whoops. Sorry.” | 对 他说 哦 对不起 | 
| [19:32] | Then he closed the door. It took you another 20 minutes. | 然后他把门关上 结果你又纠结了20分钟 | 
| [19:36] | Yeah. | 嗯 | 
| [19:43] | Mom. | 妈 | 
| [19:46] | Hi. Where do you think you’re going? | 嗨 你准备跑到哪里去 | 
| [19:49] | Hello? I’m going to Suzie’s to eat, remember? | 你说呢 我要去Suzie吃饭 不记得了? | 
| [19:52] | Yeah. | 哦 | 
| [19:55] | This is my daughter, Melissa. This is Mr. Donnell. | 这是我女儿 Melissa 这是Donnell先生 | 
| [20:00] | -Hi. -Hi. | -嗨 -嗨 | 
| [20:03] | Mom. | 妈 | 
| [20:04] | Mom, Stevie Peabody hit me in the eye with a stick. | 妈 Stevie Peabody用棍子打我眼睛 | 
| [20:07] | I can see that. It’s all red. | 我看到了 全都红了 | 
| [20:09] | He hit Stevie first. | 是他先打Stevie的 | 
| [20:11] | You weren’t there. | 你又不在 | 
| [20:13] | Bye, Mom. | 再见 妈 | 
| [20:15] | Bye. Did you hit Stevie first, sweetie? | 再见 是你先打Stevie的吗 宝贝 | 
| [20:18] | He looked at me funny. | 他用怪怪的眼神看我 | 
| [20:19] | Are we suppose to hit people who look at us funny? | 别人用奇怪的眼神看你 你就可以打别人吗 | 
| [20:22] | No. | 不可以 | 
| [20:23] | Well, do you think maybe I should just kiss that eye? | 嗯 你觉得要我亲亲你的眼睛吗 | 
| [20:26] | -Do you think that would help? -Yeah. | -那样会不会好点 -嗯 | 
| [20:28] | It might? Okay. | 是吗 好 | 
| [20:30] | And why do you think Stevie looked at you funny? | 你觉得Stevie为什么要用怪怪的眼神看你呢 | 
| [20:33] | Maybe because he knew I was about to hit him. | 大概他知道我要打他吧 | 
| [20:39] | I told Lisa I’d be there. | 我跟Lisa说过我会一起去 | 
| [20:40] | I’m suppose to second-chair Lindsay. | 我要协助Lindsay的案子 | 
| [20:42] | I’m okay. | 我没事 | 
| [20:43] | Their last witness is just on the surgery. | 他们的最后一个证人作证的内容只涉及手术 | 
| [20:44] | There is nothing in dispute. | 双方没有争议 | 
| [20:45] | -It’s only for this morning. -Hey, are you all set? | -就今天上午 -嘿 你准备好了吗 | 
| [20:48] | Thanks. That’s what you get for knowing the computers. | 谢谢 你懂电脑 能者多劳嘛 | 
| [20:52] | Speaking of which, see if you can retrieve my closing. | 说到这个 能不能帮我把结案陈词取出来 | 
| [20:54] | The copy thing over there ate it. | 被卡在复印机里了 | 
| [20:56] | I could second-chair for you. Lindsay, | 我可以做你的协办 Lindsay | 
| [20:58] | my morning’s clear. | 我上午没事 | 
| [20:59] | -That’s okay. -Actually, I’d sort of enjoy it. | -不用了 -真的 我很乐意一起去 | 
| [21:01] | I haven’t been to court in a couple of weeks. | 我有几个星期没上过法庭了 | 
| [21:03] | You know, I’m fine, really. | 不用了 真的 | 
| [21:05] | You know, it’s no problem. | 没关系 | 
| [21:07] | Actually, I’m… | 实际上 我… | 
| [21:08] | You know, it can throw the jury | 你知道 突然加入一个新的律师 | 
| [21:10] | if a new lawyer suddenly appears. | 会给陪审团留下不好的印象 | 
| [21:12] | I’d rather not risk it. | 我想还是不冒这个风险的好 | 
| [21:16] | Oh, excuse me. | 哦 不好意思 | 
| [21:18] | Is Bobby here? | Bobby在吗 | 
| [21:19] | Yeah. Right here. | 嗯 我在 | 
| [21:21] | Can I talk to you in private? | 可以单独跟你谈谈吗 | 
| [21:23] | Sure. | 当然 | 
| [21:32] | How come Lindsay doesn’t want me at her table? | Lindsay为什么不要我跟她一起上庭 | 
| [21:35] | The case is just about over, Jimmy. | 案子马上要结束了 Jimmy | 
| [21:37] | No real point. | 别想多了 | 
| [21:43] | What do you mean he called you? | 他给你打电话? 什么意思 | 
| [21:45] | Just what I said. | 就是给我打电话 | 
| [21:47] | What do you know about this detective? | 你对这个警察了不了解 | 
| [21:50] | Nothing much, and nothing good. | 了解得不多 但是他名声不好 | 
| [21:52] | You mean to tell me he called you? At your home? | 你是说他给你打电话 打到你家里? | 
| [21:56] | He basically offered me a quid pro quo. | 他给了我一个交换条件 | 
| [21:59] | I get off if I get him off first. | 如果我让他爽 他就放过我 | 
| [22:02] | Could this be some kind of sting? | 这是不是圈套 | 
| [22:04] | Why would he sting you? | 他为什么要给你设计圈套 | 
| [22:06] | He’s already got you. | 他已经有足够证据了 | 
| [22:06] | That’s what I figured. | 我也是这么想的 | 
| [22:08] | You got any way of proving this? | 你有没有办法证明这些 | 
| [22:10] | No. | 没有 | 
| [22:12] | All right. | 行了 | 
| [22:14] | Tell me exactly, and I mean exactly, what did he say? | 告诉我细节 具体的细节 他到底怎么说的 | 
| [22:19] | Exactly, he said | 他的原话是 | 
| [22:22] | that he is a lonely man. | 他是个孤独的男人 | 
| [22:24] | And if I would keep him company for half an hour or so, | 如果我愿意陪他半个小时什么的 | 
| [22:27] | he wouldn’t file. | 他就不提起指控 | 
| [22:28] | -Detective Morrison said this? -He also said that | -Morrison警官是这么说的? -他还说 | 
| [22:31] | if I reiterated this to you, | 如果我告诉了你 | 
| [22:32] | he would deny it and the deal was off. | 他就否认 交易也取消 | 
| [22:34] | All right, well, how did you leave it? | 那么 你是怎么答复他的 | 
| [22:37] | He said he’s coming to my condo tomorrow night. | 他说 他明天晚上到我家里来 | 
| [22:40] | And I’m either to say,”What a surprise. Come in.” | 我要么说 “真是稀客 请进” | 
| [22:43] | Or “I’m busy.” Depending on what the answer is. | 要么说”我很忙” 取决于我的决定 | 
| [22:46] | No other discussion, or the deal’s off. | 不说多余的话 否则交易取消 | 
| [22:49] | I don’t believe this. | 我简直不敢相信 | 
| [22:59] | So, what should I do? | 我该怎么办 | 
| [23:03] | I gotta think. Just… Just let me think. | 我得想想 让我…让我想想 | 
| [23:09] | Lisa, I’ve heard from your dad, | Lisa 我已经听了你爸的意见 | 
| [23:12] | and I’ve heard from your lawyer. | 听了你的律师的意见 | 
| [23:13] | But I’d really like to hear from you. | 但是我很想听听你怎么说 | 
| [23:15] | Can I just say one thing before we begin? | 在我们开始之前 我能不能再说一件事 | 
| [23:17] | Of course. | 当然可以 | 
| [23:17] | As you talk about her twitching or ticcing, | 如果你谈到她的痉挛和抽搐 | 
| [23:20] | she’s more likely to do it. Power of suggestion. | 她就更容易发作 心理暗示 | 
| [23:22] | I understand. | 我知道 | 
| [23:23] | Lisa, I’ve heard your tics distract the other students. | Lisa 据说你的抽搐会影响其他的同学 | 
| [23:28] | Do you think that’s true? | 你觉得是这样吗 | 
| [23:34] | She’ll be back. | 她会回来的 | 
| [23:36] | Does she do that in class? | 她在课堂上也会这样吗 | 
| [23:38] | Sometimes. | 有时候会 | 
| [23:44] | Do you think it’s fair that? | 如果你的行为给其他同学的学习 | 
| [23:48] | If your behavior makes it harder for the other students to learn | 或者老师的教学造成了麻烦 | 
| [23:52] | or harder for the teachers to teach | 你觉得这样公平吗 | 
| [23:55] | is it fair for you to want to be there? | 你想继续留在那里 这公平吗 | 
| [23:59] | I guess it depends on what’s being taught. | 我想那要看他们教的是什么 | 
| [24:02] | And it’s important that you go to a public school | 你想上公立学校 | 
| [24:04] | rather than a specialized private one? | 而不愿意去私立的特殊学校? | 
| [24:05] | -Yes. -Why? | -是的 -为什么 | 
| [24:10] | Because when I grow up, | 因为我长大之后 | 
| [24:12] | I’m gonna live my life out in the open. | 我会跟正常的人们一起生活 | 
| [24:13] | We might as well start getting used to each other now. | 我们最好现在就开始彼此适应 | 
| [24:18] | Do the lawyers have any questions? | 双方律师还有问题吗 | 
| [24:21] | Not me. | 我没有 | 
| [24:23] | Just a couple. | 我有几个问题 | 
| [24:25] | Lisa Lisa. | |
| [24:31] | When you make sounds or noises | 当你在课堂上喊叫 制造噪音的时候 | 
| [24:34] | does the teacher have to repeat things over again for the class? | 老师是不是需要重复讲课的内容 | 
| [24:37] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [24:38] | Do you think sometimes you slow the class down? | 你觉不觉得 有时候你拖慢了整个班级的进度 | 
| [24:42] | Maybe sometimes, but not much. | 有时候会 但是并不多 | 
| [24:46] | Now, there are medications, aren’t there, | 其实 有药物可以 | 
| [24:48] | that would help control your ticcings? | 控制你的抽搐 不是吗 | 
| [24:50] | Yes, but I don’t like them.They make me feel sluggish. | 是 但是我不想吃 我吃了会反应迟钝 | 
| [25:02] | What it really comes down to is foreseeability. | 关键就在于预见性 | 
| [25:05] | Was it foreseeable that this woman might have | 他们是否应该预见到把那些 | 
| [25:08] | a negative psychological reaction | 粗大 恶心的东西放到这位病人体内 | 
| [25:11] | to those gross, disgusting things squirming around inside her? | 可能会给她造成不良心理反应 | 
| [25:15] | Look at that. Imagine them biting,gnawing away at your tissue | 请看 想象它们吞噬 啃咬着你的组织 | 
| [25:19] | excreting their repulsive little maggot feces inside you. | 在你体内排泄那些恶心的分泌物 | 
| [25:23] | There were other alternatives. Drugs. | 其实还有其它的疗法 药物 | 
| [25:26] | Not as cheap as maggots, I grant you. | 不像蛆那么便宜 我保证 | 
| [25:28] | And we do have to be concerned | 而且我们必须考虑 | 
| [25:30] | with rising health costs, absolutely. | 不断上升的医疗费用 一定的 | 
| [25:32] | But this is a human being sitting here. | 但她是一个活生生的人 | 
| [25:37] | My client performed a very difficult procedure. | 我的当事人完成了一个非常艰难的手术 | 
| [25:41] | He had to reattach arteries. | 他要重新连接动脉 | 
| [25:43] | He had to piece together pieces of bone. | 把碎了的骨头再拼起来 | 
| [25:46] | And then he had to combat a severe risk of bacterial infection. | 然后还要对付细菌感染的极其重大的风险 | 
| [25:49] | And he treated that threat with the best therapy available to him. | 他采用了能够采用的最佳治疗手段 | 
| [25:54] | And it worked.It was a complete success. | 而且疗效很好 完全成功了 | 
| [25:58] | Mrs. Blake walks today | Blake太太今天还能走路 | 
| [26:00] | only because of Dr. Cloves’ superior medical performance. | 就是因为Cloves医生高超的医术 | 
| [26:04] | And she’s suing him. | 她却把他告上法庭 | 
| [26:10] | Your honor, could I ask the plaintiff? | 法官阁下 我能不能要求原告… | 
| [26:12] | Mrs. Blake, if you could refrain from scratching | Blake太太 你能不能在被告律师 | 
| [26:14] | during defense counsel’s summation? | 陈词的时候 不要抓个不停 | 
| [26:16] | Will it be long? | 他还要多久 | 
| [26:18] | I could go to his superior. | 我可以去找他的上司 | 
| [26:19] | Or I could… I could try to back him down by reversing the threat. | 我还可以…我可以去威胁他 | 
| [26:24] | -If he.. .-He said if I even told you… | -如果他… -他说如果我告诉你… | 
| [26:28] | Bobby, unless you have some kind of guaranteed plan, | Bobby 除非你有确定有效的办法 | 
| [26:30] | I don’t want you going to him. | 我不希望你去找他 | 
| [26:31] | Well, okay. Maybe if you wore a wire. | 好吧 也许你可以装上窃听器 | 
| [26:36] | That’s why he said no discussion. | 他说了不再讨论 | 
| [26:39] | He’s already prepared for that. | 他已经防备了这一点 | 
| [26:42] | Bobby, even if we could trap him, I’m not sure… | Bobby 即便我们能揭露他 我肯定… | 
| [26:48] | If we expose him, it’s news. | 如果我们把他曝光 这是新闻事件 | 
| [26:50] | That would be in the papers for sure. | 报纸上肯定会登 | 
| [26:51] | I don’t know what to tell you. Sharon,I mean, | 我不知道该怎么说 Sharon 我是说 | 
| [26:53] | I know you don’t want any of this getting out. | 我知道你不想让这件事情被公开 | 
| [26:55] | But your only option here seems to be | 但是你只有两个选择 | 
| [26:57] | to roll the dice with a trial, or plead. | 要么冒险上庭 要么就认罪 | 
| [27:03] | That’s not my only option. | 我还有一个选择 | 
| [27:09] | Maybe the smartest thing is to just give him what he wants. | 也许最明智的办法就是满足他的要求 | 
| [27:12] | You can’t be serious. | 你不是说真的吧 | 
| [27:15] | If it’ll make it all go away. | 如果这样可以把事情了结 | 
| [27:18] | Bobby, I’m a prostitute. | Bobby 我是个妓女 | 
| [27:20] | What would I be doing that I haven’t done before? | 这跟我以前做过的那些有什么不同 | 
| [27:22] | Sharon Sharon. | |
| [27:26] | Do you have a better plan? | 你有更好的办法吗 | 
| [27:28] | Well, we could talk to the DA. | 呃 我们可以去找地区检察官 | 
| [27:29] | Turn state’s evidence against Morrison. | 转作证人指证Morrison | 
| [27:31] | In which case, he says it’s my word against his. | 那样的话 他会说只有我们两个人的不同说法 | 
| [27:35] | Should they believe me, | 如果他们相信我的话 | 
| [27:36] | this becomes an even bigger scandal. | 那就成了一个更大的丑闻 | 
| [27:39] | Well, as your lawyer | 作为你的律师 | 
| [27:39] | I am certainly not gonna counsel you towards prostitution. | 我坚决不能建议你以色相交换 | 
| [27:43] | Right. | 是的 | 
| [27:48] | And as your friend… | 而作为你的朋友 | 
| [27:51] | And as my friend, you have to admit | 作为我的朋友 你也不得不承认 | 
| [27:54] | this may be the best way to make this whole thing go away. | 这或许是了结整个事情最好的办法 | 
| [27:58] | I mean, this could be my only way. | 可能是唯一的办法 | 
| [28:10] | I’ve done it for money. | 我本来为了赚钱做过 | 
| [28:11] | Why am I suddenly too proud to do it for my kids? | 为什么现在不能为了孩子们去做 | 
| [28:20] | The truth is, I can see their side of it. | 实际上 我能理解他们的难处 | 
| [28:23] | It has to be distracting | 如果她在课堂上发作 | 
| [28:24] | if she does it in class. | 肯定会影响别人的注意力 | 
| [28:24] | She has the right to an education, Eugene. | 她有权利接受教育 Eugene | 
| [28:26] | I’m not saying she doesn’t. | 我并不否定她的权利 | 
| [28:28] | But this mainstreaming thing can get carried away. | 但是她确实影响了大多数人 | 
| [28:31] | Lindsay Lindsay. | |
| [28:32] | Could I have a second, please? | 可以跟你说个事情吗 | 
| [28:34] | Sure. You wanna go into the conference room? | 当然 要不去会议室? | 
| [28:36] | No. It’s okay. | 不用了 没事 | 
| [28:39] | I’d just like an honest answer | 我只想你诚实地回答我 | 
| [28:41] | as to why you didn’t want me with you in court. | 为什么不要我跟你一起上庭 | 
| [28:44] | Oh, that. Well… | 哦 这样 呃… | 
| [28:47] | And I’d appreciate you not | 我希望你不要拿什么 | 
| [28:49] | insulting what little intelligence I have | “陪审团不喜欢新面孔”之类的借口 | 
| [28:50] | with some story about juries getting spooked by new faces. | 来侮辱我小小的智商 | 
| [28:56] | I’d like the truth. | 我要听实话 | 
| [29:01] | Okay. | 好吧 | 
| [29:10] | I have a client who could be perceived as a little too quick to sue. | 我的当事人可能会让人觉得有点滥诉 | 
| [29:15] | I’m worried one or more of the jurors might have seen your commercial. | 我担心陪审员中有人看过你的广告 | 
| [29:18] | -And? -And | -所以? -所以 | 
| [29:21] | with a litigious plaintiff, | 对于滥诉的原告 | 
| [29:23] | I don’t think it helps our cause | 我觉得让”草根律师”jimmy出面 | 
| [29:25] | to be associated with Jimmy the Grunt. | 会有不利的影响 | 
| [29:32] | Go to hell. | 去死吧 | 
| [29:34] | Jimmy Jimmy. | |
| [29:37] | She’s not wrong. | 她说得没错 | 
| [29:40] | Well, you go to hell too. | 那你也去死吧 | 
| [30:03] | -Oh, hi. -Hi, Melissa. | -哦 嗨 -嗨 Melissa | 
| [30:05] | Is your mom home? | 你妈在家吗 | 
| [30:07] | Are you two, like, going together? | 你们两个 是 在约会吗 | 
| [30:09] | Never mind, honey. | 不关你的事 宝贝 | 
| [30:09] | Go get your coat, we’re running late. Here, toast. | 去穿外套 我们要迟到了 给 土司 | 
| [30:12] | Can I talk to you? | 可以跟你谈谈吗 | 
| [30:15] | Sharon, what you’re considering here… | Sharon 你的想法… | 
| [30:17] | Bobby, this is not the place for this discussion. | Bobby 在这里不适合谈这些 | 
| [30:20] | I can’t just sit back and watch you do this. | 我不能眼睁睁看着你这么做 | 
| [30:22] | I will go to your office. | 我去你办公室找你 | 
| [30:23] | Look, I am not discussing this here. | 听着 我不能在这里谈这件事 | 
| [30:27] | Fine. | 好吧 | 
| [30:30] | -I’m ready. -Okay, let’s get your brother. | -我弄好了 -好 去叫你弟弟 | 
| [30:33] | See you at your office. | 办公室见 | 
| [30:35] | Okay. | 好 | 
| [30:40] | It would be nice, Your Honor, if we could mainstream | 法官阁下 如果能够让所有的孩子都喜欢Lisa | 
| [30:43] | all the children like Lisa. | 那当然再好不过 | 
| [30:45] | And it would be great, wouldn’t it, if we could | 如果我们能够挥挥魔杖 | 
| [30:48] | eradicate ignorance and intolerance | 就消灭无知和偏执 | 
| [30:51] | with one wave of a wand. | 再挥动魔杖 就能让每个人都变成正常人 | 
| [30:53] | Wave it once more and make everybody normal. | 那就太美好了 不是吗 | 
| [30:56] | But today, we’re stuck with reality. | 但是今天 我们受困于现实 | 
| [30:59] | And like Principal Gilbert told us, | 正如Gilbert校长告诉我们的 | 
| [31:01] | the reality of public schools is ugly. | 公立学校的现实很糟糕 | 
| [31:04] | Overcrowded, underfunded, understaffed. | 学生太多 资金短缺 人手不足 | 
| [31:07] | It’s all we can do to make it function. | 我们只能勉强维持其运转 | 
| [31:10] | I mean, forget about individual attention. | 别想所谓的个体教育 | 
| [31:12] | It’s education for the masses. | 我们实行的是整体教育 | 
| [31:15] | And as remarkable as Lisa Wright is | 尽管Lisa Wright多优秀 | 
| [31:19] | and she is | 她也确实很优秀 | 
| [31:22] | she is also a wrench in a system | 但她也是这个本来已经 | 
| [31:25] | that is already limping badly. | 步履蹒跚的体系的负担 | 
| [31:28] | Your Honor, there are 400 other kids | 法官阁下 Wheaton East学校 | 
| [31:31] | at Wheaton East. | 还有其他400位学生 | 
| [31:33] | They count too. | 他们的利益也一样重要 | 
| [31:41] | Your Honor, Rebecca Washington | 法官阁下 我的同事Rebecca Washington | 
| [31:43] | from my firm is again with us. | 今天也来到法庭 | 
| [31:45] | She’s not a member of the Bar, | 她不是律师 | 
| [31:47] | but would it be all right for her to address the court? | 可不可以让她在法庭上发言 | 
| [31:49] | If the client doesn’t object. | 只要当事人不反对 | 
| [31:54] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢 法官阁下 | 
| [32:00] | I just wanted to say | 我只想说 | 
| [32:04] | everybody seems to be balancing Lisa’s interests | 似乎每个人都要在Lisa的利益 | 
| [32:06] | against the interests of the other students. | 和其他学生的利益之间取舍 | 
| [32:09] | But from where I sit, they don’t clash. | 但是在我看来 他们的利益并不冲突 | 
| [32:12] | After knowing her, even for one day, | 在你跟她相识之后 哪怕只有一天 | 
| [32:15] | any child should be so lucky | 任何一个孩子 | 
| [32:17] | as to go to school with somebody like this girl. | 都会觉得跟这样一个女孩子做同学是幸运的 | 
| [32:20] | Even so, Ms. Washington | Washington小姐 话虽如此 | 
| [32:22] | to know her is not the same as having to attend school with her. | 认识她 跟同她一起上学不是一回事 | 
| [32:25] | But a school needs to be more than just reading and writing. | 但是学校不应该只是教人读写的地方 | 
| [32:28] | School is | 对孩子来说 | 
| [32:30] | the first real world for a kid. | 学校就是他们最早接触的真实世界 | 
| [32:33] | And it shouldn’t be a place that says: | 这个世界不应该告诉他们 | 
| [32:34] | “Gee, you know we’d like to be tolerant, | 嘿 我们倒是愿意宽容 | 
| [32:36] | but order and decorum have to come first.” | 但是秩序和礼仪才是第一位的 | 
| [32:41] | Maybe the school should teach children not to discriminate. | 也许学校应该首先教孩子们反对歧视 | 
| [32:47] | Not to be prejudiced against people who are different | 不能对特殊人士存有偏见 | 
| [32:50] | and then get around to phonics and arithmetic. | 然后才教他们阅读和算术 | 
| [32:54] | You raise some interesting ideals. | 你提出了一些有意思的观点 | 
| [32:56] | But the order of the day is to make the schools function. | 但是学校的日常工作就是维持正常运转 | 
| [33:00] | No, the order of the day, as I’ve been listening | 不 在我看来 学校的日常工作 | 
| [33:03] | is to do what’s best for the students at Wheaton East. | 是照顾好Wheaton East的学生 | 
| [33:07] | Now, you’ve met Lisa Wright. | 现在 你们已经见过Lisa Wright | 
| [33:09] | You’ve seen her tics interrupt your courtroom. | 你们也看到了她的抽搐影响法庭审理 | 
| [33:12] | Balance all that,and you’re glad you met her. | 尽管如此 你们还是为见过她而感到幸运 | 
| [33:17] | You’re better off. | 你们能够适应 | 
| [33:20] | Give those students the benefit of the doubt | 把”疑点利益”给予那些学生 | 
| [33:22] | that they can learn to tolerate Lisa. | 假定他们可以学着适应Lisa | 
| [33:25] | In the end,it’s like what Lisa herself said. | 最终 正如Lisa自己所说 | 
| [33:29] | You can let her stay,or you can kick her out. | 你们可以让她留下 也可以开除她 | 
| [33:34] | All depends on what it is you’re trying to teach. | 一切都取决于你们想教的是什么 | 
| [33:40] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [33:48] | Mr. Foreman,has the jury reached its verdict? | 首席陪审员先生 陪审团做出裁决了吗 | 
| [33:50] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 | 
| [33:52] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 | 
| [33:53] | We find in favor of the plaintiff | 我们判决原告胜诉 | 
| [33:55] | and order that the defendant pay damages in the amount of $62,000. | 并判令被告支付赔偿62000元 | 
| [34:00] | Jury is dismissed with the thanks of the court. | 陪审团解散 法庭感谢你们的奉献 | 
| [34:03] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [34:04] | That isn’t very much. | 赔得不算多 | 
| [34:05] | Hey, we won. And it’s tax-free. | 嘿 我们赢了 而且赔偿是免税的 | 
| [34:08] | -This is a great result. -I don’t know. | -这个结果相当好 -我不知道 | 
| [34:11] | -Way to go, Lindsay. -Thanks. | -加油 Lindsay -谢谢 | 
| [34:15] | Only comes to 1200 per maggot. | 算下来 每条蛆只赔了1200 | 
| [34:18] | Seems low. | 感觉有点少 | 
| [34:23] | I’d appreciate you not coming to my home like that. | 我希望你不要像那样闯到我家里来 | 
| [34:25] | You wouldn’t return my phone calls. What am I suppose to do? | 你一直不回我电话 我能怎么办 | 
| [34:34] | You’re gonna do it, aren’t you? | 你真打算那样做 是吗 | 
| [34:36] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [34:37] | Oh, my God, Sharon. | 哦 上帝 Sharon | 
| [34:39] | How can you even think of it? | 你怎么能这么想 | 
| [34:41] | Tell me another way, Bobby. | 告诉我还有什么其它办法 Bobby | 
| [34:43] | Give me the sure-fire plan. | 给我一个十全十美的办法 | 
| [34:45] | What, you think this helps your children for you to do this? | 怎么 你觉得你那样做真的是在帮你的孩子 | 
| [34:50] | Of course it helps them. | 当然是在帮他们 | 
| [34:51] | Do you have any idea how devastated they’d be? | 你知不知道他们经历过怎样的痛苦 | 
| [34:54] | Their father walked out on them. | 他们的父亲离他们而去 | 
| [34:56] | In terms of role models, I am it. | 我必须成为他们的榜样 | 
| [34:57] | Those kids need a mother with some kind of self-esteem. | 孩子们需要一个自尊自强的母亲 | 
| [35:00] | And if you do what you’re thinking of doing, | 如果你照你想的那样去做了 | 
| [35:02] | it’ll catch up with you. | 会在你心里留下阴影 | 
| [35:04] | Is that right? | 真的吗 | 
| [35:05] | Being a whore catches up. | 作妓女会在你心里留下阴影 | 
| [35:10] | I’ve represented enough of them to know. | 我给她们辩护得太多了 我很清楚 | 
| [35:13] | Well, you’ve also represented rapists and murderers, Bobby. | 你还为强奸犯和谋杀犯辩护过 Bobby | 
| [35:16] | What’s that supposed to mean? | 你这是什么意思 | 
| [35:18] | It means, we may have gone down different paths | 我是说 我们走的路或许不同 | 
| [35:22] | but we’ve both ended up doing despicable things for a fee. | 但我们都为了赚钱而作卑鄙的事情 | 
| [35:26] | Don’t tell me you free child molesters | 不要告诉我你帮娈童癖脱罪 | 
| [35:29] | to gratify your soul. | 是为了获得灵魂的安宁 | 
| [35:30] | You think my job is whoring? | 你觉得我的工作也是卖身? | 
| [35:32] | I think we’ve both made compromises. | 我觉得我们都对生活做出妥协 | 
| [35:35] | The one’s I’ve made have been | 只是我所做的妥协 | 
| [35:38] | more stupid. | 更加愚蠢 | 
| [35:39] | But they have been made to provide for my kids. | 但我妥协的原因是为了我的孩子 | 
| [35:42] | What is your excuse? | 你又是为了什么 | 
| [35:43] | Hey, you know nothing about me. | 嘿 你根本不了解我 | 
| [35:46] | You know nothing about me! | 你根本不了解我 | 
| [35:50] | So why don’t we just call this even? | 所以我们还是公平地对待彼此 | 
| [35:52] | I am not gonna judge you. | 我不评判你 | 
| [35:53] | You don’t judge me. | 你也不要评判我 | 
| [35:57] | Listen, I can bring myself to understand | 听我说 我能理解你做一次 | 
| [35:59] | you do this call girl thing once or twice | 两次应召女郎 | 
| [36:03] | to dig yourself out. | 来摆脱困境 | 
| [36:04] | It continues, and the money. | 理解你继续做下去 理解你这样挣钱 | 
| [36:06] | But what you’re talking about now. | 但你现在谈到的这些 | 
| [36:08] | It’s more repulsive. | 更令人厌恶 | 
| [36:11] | It’s worse. | 更糟糕 | 
| [36:15] | Please, don’t do it. | 求你了 不要去 | 
| [36:25] | I don’t wanna do it. | 我也不想去 | 
| [36:30] | I hope I don’t. | 我希望我不去 | 
| [36:33] | Maybe I won’t. | 也许我不会去 | 
| [36:36] | Look. | 听我说 | 
| [36:39] | All I’m gonna say is | 我只想说 | 
| [36:41] | from every hole, you climb out. | 你在哪里跌倒 就在哪里爬起来 | 
| [36:50] | That girl I knew in high school. | 高中时我认识的那个女孩子 | 
| [36:58] | This isn’t… This isn’t you, Sharon. | 你不是…你不是 Sharon | 
| [37:03] | This isn’t you. | 你不是这样的 | 
| [37:07] | We both know that. | 你我都清楚这一点 | 
| [37:14] | I still can’t believe he allowed the video. | 我还是不能相信他竟然允许录像呈堂 | 
| [37:16] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 | 
| [37:19] | What’s that about? | 怎么回事 | 
| [37:20] | Bobby’s not talking much. | Bobby不愿意多说 | 
| [37:22] | You won, huh? | 你赢了 是吗 | 
| [37:24] | Sixty-two thousand. Good result. | 62000 结果很好 | 
| [37:32] | Listen, I’m sorry for what I said yesterday. | 呃 我为我昨天说的话道歉 | 
| [37:35] | Forget about it. | 没关系 | 
| [37:36] | No, I was out of line. | 不 我太过分了 | 
| [37:40] | You see this? | 看这个 | 
| [37:41] | Keepsake. I’ve had it ten years. | 是个纪念 我带着它十年了 | 
| [37:49] | “We are pleased to inform you | “我们高兴地通知你 | 
| [37:51] | that you have successively passed the bar examination | 你已经成功地通过了马萨诸塞州 | 
| [37:54] | of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.” | 律师资格考试” | 
| [37:57] | Yeah. I remember when my letter came. | 是啊 我还记得我接到通知时候的情景 | 
| [38:01] | I failed my first two tries, you know? | 我考了两次都没通过 你知道吗 | 
| [38:03] | No. I didn’t know. | 不 我不知道 | 
| [38:06] | Yeah. | 是的 | 
| [38:07] | When I finally passed, I cried for an hour. | 当我终于考过了的时候 我哭了一个钟头 | 
| [38:11] | I was suddenly | 我突然就成了 | 
| [38:12] | a lawyer. | 律师了 | 
| [38:14] | Something. | 了不起 | 
| [38:16] | I’m trying to say is | 我想说的是 | 
| [38:18] | I think I got some kind of complex | 我原以为当我拿到这份通知的时候 | 
| [38:21] | that I used to think ended when I got that letter. | 我就可以跟过去的生活说再见了 | 
| [38:23] | Only, maybe it didn’t. | 但实际上 生活并没有变化 | 
| [38:26] | Jimmy, all this is | Jimmy 这只是 | 
| [38:29] | is a piece of paper. | 只是一张纸而已 | 
| [38:31] | It gives you the opportunity to practice law. | 它给了你做执业律师的机会 | 
| [38:34] | I know this. | 我知道 | 
| [38:37] | You know, for what it’s worth, | 你知道吗 关于这一点 | 
| [38:39] | Lindsay made the same mistake. | Lindsay犯过同样的错误 | 
| [38:40] | She thought there was automatic dignity in being a lawyer. | 她以为当了律师 就自然而然地获得了尊严 | 
| [38:43] | That it came with the degree. It doesn’t. | 尊严伴随着学位而来 其实不是 | 
| [38:46] | And when she first came here, she hated it | 当她第一次到这里来的时候 她憎恨这里 | 
| [38:48] | because she thought the cases we took were a reflection on her. | 因为她觉得我们接的案子 反映了她的品格 | 
| [38:52] | And now she knows better. | 现在她不这么想了 | 
| [38:53] | She can go in court and argue over maggots | 她可以上庭代理蛆的案子 | 
| [38:56] | and still be dignified in doing it. | 并为此觉得有尊严 | 
| [38:59] | Jimmy, the cases don’t make you. | Jimmy 案子并不代表你 | 
| [39:01] | You make you. | 成全你的是你自己 | 
| [39:04] | What’s the punch line? | 你想说什么 | 
| [39:06] | I never got the true meaning of nothing without the Cliff notes. | 如果不借助”克利夫笔记” 我就不懂别人讲的故事真正意思是什么 | 
| [39:09] | You gotta decide what you really wanna be. | 你必须决定你想要的是什么 | 
| [39:18] | Fallen and you can’t get up? | 跌倒了 爬不起来? | 
| [39:19] | Call the Grunt. | 打电话给草根律师 | 
| [39:24] | Is that it? | 是这样吗 | 
| [39:31] | Somewhere along the line, I don’t exactly know when | 在某个界限上 我不知道具体是在哪里 | 
| [39:34] | pragmatism became a good thing in this country. | 实用主义在这个国家变成了一个好东西 | 
| [39:37] | We now celebrate the man who starts off with, “Seems to me…” | 如今 我们喜欢那些开口就是”在我看来…” | 
| [39:41] | then sputters off a piece of folksy wisdom | 然后噼里啪啦说一通平民智慧 | 
| [39:43] | drooling with practicality. | 满口实用主义的人 | 
| [39:46] | And we’ve had that here, haven’t we? | 在本案中就是这样 不是吗 | 
| [39:49] | It’s great to be tolerant. | 宽容是极好的 | 
| [39:51] | We’d love to help the remarkable little girl | 我们很想帮助这个优秀的小女孩 | 
| [39:54] | but we have a school to run. | 但是我们要保证学校的运转 | 
| [39:56] | Sounds so damn logical. | 听起来合情合理 | 
| [39:58] | If one apple hurts the bunch, | 如果一串苹果里有一个坏了 | 
| [40:00] | remove the apple. | 把坏的那个扔掉 | 
| [40:01] | That’s the practical and pragmatic thing to do. | 这样做既实际又实用 | 
| [40:05] | Only problem is, pragmatism | 唯一的问题是 实用主义 | 
| [40:08] | where we used to settle for it | 过去 当理想主义无法实现的时候 | 
| [40:11] | when idealism couldn’t be achieved | 我们求助于实用主义 | 
| [40:12] | is now the target goal. | 如今 实用主义本身已经成为目的 | 
| [40:14] | And that’s lousy. | 这很卑鄙 | 
| [40:20] | This school didn’t try hard enough. | 学校没有做出足够的努力 | 
| [40:23] | It just moved along in its practical, efficient way. | 它只是采用了实用的 有效的方式 | 
| [40:26] | And that’s not good enough. | 这样还不够 | 
| [40:28] | Mr. Gilbert, you go back there and try to make it work. | Gilbert先生 你回去后设法把这个问题解决了 | 
| [40:32] | And if it doesn’t, try again. | 如果解决不了 再想办法 | 
| [40:36] | Then, try again. | 然后 再想办法 | 
| [40:39] | And if your school still can’t accommodate this girl | 如果这样 你的学校还是没法接纳这个女孩 | 
| [40:42] | then maybe I’ll have to accommodate you. | 那我也许只有放过你 | 
| [40:46] | But first, I’m gonna make room for the remotest of possibilities | 但是首先 我要假定是你努力得还不够 | 
| [40:52] | that it’s you that hasn’t got it right yet. | 哪怕这个可能性很小 | 
| [40:57] | Plaintiff’s petition granted. | 支持原告的诉请 | 
| [41:02] | -Thank you. -You just study hard, Lisa. | -谢谢 -你要努力学习 Lisa | 
| [41:06] | And thank, thank, thank you, | 谢谢 谢 谢谢你 | 
| [41:08] | Rebecca. You did it. | Rebecca 应该归功于你 | 
| [41:10] | Yeah, well, I’m good. | 嗯 是啊 我很厉害 | 
| [41:13] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 | 
| [41:15] | -We’ll see you in school. -Thank you. | -我们学校见 -谢谢 | 
| [41:18] | -Congratulations, Lisa. -Thanks. | -祝贺你 Lisa -谢谢 | 
| [41:22] | Sorry. | 对不起 | 
| [41:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |