| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:11] | Murder 2. That’s a pretty good offer. | 二级谋杀 已经是很好的和解条件了 | 
| [00:14] | Helen, may I call you Helen? | Helen 我可以叫你Helen吗 | 
| [00:16] | No. | 不行 | 
| [00:17] | Dorothy Dorothy. | 【”绿野仙踪”主角】 | 
| [00:18] | Murder 2, I…Where’s she going? | 二级谋杀 我… 她去哪儿 | 
| [00:21] | Look, Mr. Heric, this may be fun for you. | Heric先生 这对你来说也许很有趣 | 
| [00:24] | It isn’t to me. | 但对我不是 | 
| [00:25] | You murdered somebody. | 你犯了谋杀罪 | 
| [00:27] | I came in here to talk about a plea. | 我来这儿是和你讨论和解的 | 
| [00:29] | If you reject the plea, | 如果你拒绝和解 | 
| [00:30] | we have nothing left to discuss. | 我们就没什么好谈的了 | 
| [00:32] | The plea’s rejected. | 我拒绝 | 
| [00:34] | Fine. | 行 | 
| [00:36] | Oh, what about the piano? | 哦 我能用钢琴吗 | 
| [00:39] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么 | 
| [00:40] | I’d like to use a piano in my opening. | 我要在开场中使用钢琴 | 
| [00:42] | And Bobby said it would be easier with your consent. | Bobby说 如果你同意 事情好办些 | 
| [00:46] | You wanna use a piano. | 你想用钢琴 | 
| [00:48] | Yes. | 没错 | 
| [00:49] | In your opening argument. | 在你做开场陈词的时候? | 
| [00:51] | Yes. | 没错 | 
| [00:52] | What I lack in lyric, I make up for in melody. | 我没词的时候 可以用音乐填补 | 
| [00:55] | He wants to do what? | 他想干嘛 | 
| [00:57] | Well, he thinks he… | 哦 他想… | 
| [00:58] | You will not turn my courtroom into theater, Mr. Heric. | 你别想把我的法庭变成剧场 Heric先生 | 
| [01:01] | No, Your Honor | 没有 法官阁下 | 
| [01:02] | Listen, I know it sounds insane | 我知道这听上去不太正常 | 
| [01:03] | which you probably all think I am, anyway. | 反正你们本来全都觉得我不正常 | 
| [01:06] | Music sells. | 音乐的力量是无穷的 | 
| [01:07] | It’s only a matter of time before lawyers use it. | 律师们早晚会用它的 | 
| [01:09] | I just wanna be the first. | 我只是想做第一个 | 
| [01:11] | I’m willing to show you if it’ll help demonstrate my intent. | 需要的话 我可以证明给你看 | 
| [01:15] | Go ahead. | 你试试 | 
| [01:23] | There’s a dead guy Everybody thinks I killed him | 有个人死了 大家都认为是我杀了他 | 
| [01:26] | There’s a dead guy In life, he was a pest | 有个人死了 他活着时是个害人精 | 
| [01:28] | Took a knife right in the chest | 一把刀直入胸腔 | 
| [01:31] | Everybody says it’s me | 大家都认为是我 | 
| [01:31] | But it wasn’t, can’t you see | 但真不是的 你们看不出来吗 | 
| [01:32] | The dead guy He’s a dead guy | 那个死了的家伙 他死了 | 
| [01:38] | Something like that. I still have to work on the ending. | 就差不多像这样 结尾我还没想好 | 
| [01:41] | There will be no piano. | 钢琴不准用 | 
| [02:30] | You know how rough it’ll be. | 你知道这会很难 | 
| [02:31] | There’s gonna be a lot of people in that courtroom. | 法庭上会有很多人 | 
| [02:34] | Everything is public record. | 一切都公开记录 | 
| [02:35] | I want to do this, Ellenor. | 我要这么做 Ellenor | 
| [02:38] | I’m tired of pretending that it doesn’t bother me. | 我不想再假装这对我毫无影响 | 
| [02:41] | I’m tired of just walking away. | 我不想再走开了事 我受够了 | 
| [02:44] | You sure? | 你确定吗 | 
| [02:45] | I’m sure. | 我确定 | 
| [02:47] | Okay. Ten o’clock. | 好的 那么10点 | 
| [02:53] | I’ll see you at the courthouse. | 我们法庭再见 | 
| [03:02] | You turned down 75? | 你拒绝了七万五? | 
| [03:06] | I’m a little concerned you’re not seeing straight on this one. | 我觉得你在这个问题上没有看清楚 | 
| [03:09] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么 | 
| [03:10] | The woman didn’t suffer any damages. | 那个女人什么损失都没有 | 
| [03:12] | Seventy-five is not enough. | 七万五不够 | 
| [03:13] | You’re a little hypersensitive when it comes to obesity. | 当涉及肥胖的时候 你就会有些过激 | 
| [03:16] | Let’s face facts. | 你要专注于案件事实 | 
| [03:18] | Our client was ridiculed in front of people. | 我们的当事人被人当众嘲笑 | 
| [03:20] | My hypersensitivity… | 我的过激… | 
| [03:21] | Did you make her aware of the offer? | 她知道这个赔偿价吗 | 
| [03:23] | Of course I did. She rejected it. | 当然知道 她拒绝了 | 
| [03:26] | Did you tell her to reject it? | 是你叫她拒绝的? | 
| [03:30] | I made my client aware of the offer. | 我把赔偿告知客户了 | 
| [03:32] | She elected to go to trial. | 她选择上法庭 | 
| [03:38] | I’m assigning Lindsay to second chair. | 我会派Lindsay来协办 | 
| [03:40] | I don’t need Lindsay to second-chair this case. | 我不需要Lindsay协办这个案子 | 
| [03:43] | I’m assigning Lindsay to second chair. | 我要派Lindsay来协办 | 
| [03:52] | You have to stick me in the middle? | 你一定要我夹在中间吗 | 
| [03:54] | I just need an objective eye. | 我只是需要一个公正的视角 | 
| [03:55] | I don’t think… | 我不觉得… | 
| [03:57] | You see the way she reacts to Joey Heric. | 你知道她怎么对Joey Heric的 | 
| [03:58] | Joey Heric calls her “hippo” and “Dumbo.” | Joey Heric叫她河马 傻瓜 | 
| [04:01] | I don’t think she overreacts at all. | 我一点不觉得她反应过度了 | 
| [04:03] | It was a dunk-the-clown booth, Lindsay. | 那是个”打小丑”的摊位 Lindsay | 
| [04:05] | All I ask is that you watchdog. | 我只要求你盯着点 | 
| [04:07] | She’ll take it out on me. | 她会怪我的 | 
| [04:08] | It’s all me. She knows that. | 这都是我要求的 她知道 | 
| [04:21] | Jury members, the defendant has decided to be his own counsel. | 陪审团的成员们 被告决定为自己辩护 | 
| [04:24] | He has no legal training, | 他未经法律方面的训练 | 
| [04:26] | and as such, I expect there could be procedural and evidentiary | 因此 被告可能在审判中出现 | 
| [04:30] | mistakes made by the defendant in the course of this trial. | 程序上或举证方面的错误 | 
| [04:33] | You’re not to attach | 你们要记住 | 
| [04:34] | any relevance to procedural mistakes. | 这样的程序错误跟案件结果没有关联 | 
| [04:36] | You’re not to draw bias | 你们不能以他 | 
| [04:38] | on the question of the defendant’s guilt or innocence | 作为一个律师的表现来评判他 | 
| [04:40] | based on his performance as an attorney. | 作为被告是否有罪 | 
| [04:44] | Mr. Heric, I will instruct you again. | Heric先生 我再指导你一次 | 
| [04:48] | If there is objection from the prosecution | 如果在诉讼中检方提出抗议 | 
| [04:50] | you will wait for my ruling on that objection before you proceed. | 你要等待我做出裁决之后才能继续 | 
| [04:54] | Are you clear, sir? | 先生 你明白了吗 | 
| [04:55] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 | 
| [04:57] | Miss Gamble, are you ready to open? | Gamble小姐 准备好开场陈词了吗 | 
| [05:00] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 | 
| [05:02] | We’ll hear from you. | 请开始吧 | 
| [05:04] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 | 
| [05:06] | I suppose in all my preparation and my, well, nervousness | 由于我的准备不足和紧张 | 
| [05:10] | l’m embarrassed to say that | 我很不好意思地说 | 
| [05:12] | I’ve left something out. | 我忘了做一件事 | 
| [05:15] | What’s that? | 什么事 | 
| [05:17] | I have to pee. | 我要小便 | 
| [05:23] | The bailiff will take the defendant to the men’s room. | 请法警把被告带到男洗手间 | 
| [05:25] | We’ll adjourn for five minutes. | 休庭5分钟 | 
| [05:30] | This is so embarrassing. | 这真令人难堪 | 
| [05:38] | This is how Marty Andleman looked | 这是警察到场时 | 
| [05:40] | when the police arrived. | Marty Andleman的样子 | 
| [05:41] | This is Marty Andleman’s last expression. | 这是Marty Andleman最后的表情 | 
| [05:44] | Dead. | 他死了 | 
| [05:45] | When the police showed up, the defendant was there | 警察出现时 被告就在那儿 | 
| [05:48] | with his three lawyers. | 身边是他的三个律师 | 
| [05:51] | The evidence will show | 证据表明 | 
| [05:53] | that the defendant fatally stabbed Marty Andleman. | 被告刺死了Marty Andleman | 
| [05:56] | The evidence will show | 证据表明 | 
| [05:58] | that the defendant and the victim were lovers. | 被告和受害人是情人关系 | 
| [06:00] | That they were on the verge of a breakup, | 他们正面临分手 | 
| [06:02] | and that that breakup | 而这分手 | 
| [06:04] | could potentially cost the defendant more than $2 million. | 可能要花费被告两百万以上 | 
| [06:08] | I won’t keep you long, ladies and gentlemen. | 我不需要很长时间 女士们先生们 | 
| [06:10] | It’s pretty simple. | 案情很简单 | 
| [06:12] | That man committed murder. | 这个人犯了谋杀罪 | 
| [06:15] | The evidence will prove this quickly and undeniably. | 证据很快会不容置疑地证明这一点 | 
| [06:32] | Let’s address the first question. | 让我们先问下第一个问题 | 
| [06:34] | What man would wanna defend himself | 什么样的人会在 | 
| [06:37] | in a trial where his life was on the line? | 生死攸关的审判中为自己辩护? | 
| [06:39] | Miss Gamble would say that | Gamble小姐可能会说 | 
| [06:41] | the evidence proves undeniably that I committed murder. | 不容置疑 我犯了谋杀罪 | 
| [06:45] | Only thing is, I didn’t. | 事实是 我没有 | 
| [06:49] | Did I stab him? | 我用刀刺他了吗 | 
| [06:50] | Yes. But it was in self-defense. | 是的 但是出于正当防卫 | 
| [06:53] | I’ll tell you here now, | 我想在这儿告诉你们 | 
| [06:54] | though I don’t think it has any probative value… | 虽然这没有什么证据上的意义 | 
| [06:57] | …my three lawyers at the scene, | 当时在场的三位律师 | 
| [06:59] | even they thought I did it. | 甚至都认定我谋杀了他 | 
| [07:01] | – Objection.- Sustained. | -反对 -有效 | 
| [07:03] | Don’t tell us what other people thought, Mr. Heric. | Heric先生 不要告诉我们别人怎么想 | 
| [07:07] | I’m merely offering this to answer the question: | 我说这些只是为了回答这样一个问题 | 
| [07:11] | “Why in God’s name would he represent himself?” | “他究竟为什么要自己辩护?” | 
| [07:15] | Well, I do so because as far as I know… | 我这么做是因为 我知道 | 
| [07:17] | …l’m the only one convinced of my innocence. | 我是唯一相信自己清白的人 | 
| [07:20] | I’m not gonna hire an attorney to argue something to a jury… | 我不想雇一个不相信我的律师 | 
| [07:23] | …that he doesn’t believe himself. | 去说服陪审团 | 
| [07:26] | Yes, the evidence will show my prints on that weapon. | 是的 证据表明 凶器上有我的指纹 | 
| [07:32] | But they will also show Marty Andleman’s… | 但同样有Marty Andleman的指纹 | 
| [07:34] | because what really happened that night, | 因为女士们先生们 | 
| [07:37] | ladies and gentlemen | 那晚真正发生的事是 | 
| [07:38] | …is that Marty Andleman tried to kill me. | Marty Andleman想要杀我 | 
| [07:42] | We were on the verge of a split-up | 我们正面临分手 | 
| [07:45] | and he was emotionally upset. | 而且他情绪很低落 | 
| [07:47] | And he tried to kill me. | 然后他就想杀了我 | 
| [07:50] | I’m not gonna go into the facts now, | 我暂时不谈事实 | 
| [07:52] | but I will say the evidence will show… | 但我想说 证据会证明 | 
| [07:54] | …that he came at me | 是他拿着那把 | 
| [07:56] | with the very knife that I stabbed him with… | 我后来刺他的刀走向我 | 
| [07:57] | …that we wrestled with that knife… | 我们为那把刀互相搏斗 | 
| [07:59] | …that both of our hands were on it, | 在挣扎中 | 
| [08:02] | and in the process of that struggle | 我们的手都在上面 | 
| [08:03] | the knife went into him, not me. | 后来刀刺向了他 而不是我 | 
| [08:08] | Did I run? No. | 我逃跑了吗 没有 | 
| [08:10] | Did I try to cover up evidence? No. | 我试图销毁证据了吗 没有 | 
| [08:13] | Did I know how it would look? Of course. | 我知道自己嫌疑很大吗 当然知道 | 
| [08:17] | That’s why I called my lawyers. | 所以我才叫了我的律师 | 
| [08:19] | Let’s face it, gay lovers, one’s dead. | 我们得承认 同性恋情人 其中一个死了 | 
| [08:22] | We all know how it looks. | 看起来 我的嫌疑最大 | 
| [08:23] | But how it looks | 但看起来怎样 | 
| [08:25] | is not how it is. | 并不意味着真实情况就是怎样 | 
| [08:27] | And what this comes down to is prosecution’s gonna say, | 总而言之 检方会说 | 
| [08:29] | “Convict him. You have to convict him. | “定他的罪 你必须定他的罪 | 
| [08:32] | He was the only one who was there.” | 他是唯一在现场的人” | 
| [08:35] | And I will say, “Believe me. You have to believe me. | 而我会说 “相信我 你们必须相信我 | 
| [08:40] | Because I was the only one who was there.” | 因为我是唯一在现场的人” | 
| [09:03] | Hey, baldy, | 嗨 秃子 | 
| [09:04] | get a little lemon Pledge for that shine, would you? | 为你那光亮弄些柠檬举杯 如何 | 
| [09:07] | Oh, hey, look over there. | 哦 嘿 看那儿 | 
| [09:10] | Come on, pig, “oink” | 快来啊 猪 呼噜噜一下 | 
| [09:12] | so we know you’re coming. | 让我们知道你来了 | 
| [09:14] | Oh, I’m terribly sorry. It’s a cow. | 哦 真抱歉 原来是头牛 | 
| [09:22] | That’s the whole act. | 那就是整个事情的经过 | 
| [09:25] | The clown insults everybody who walks by… | 小丑侮辱经过的每一个人 | 
| [09:27] | …to make them angry enough to wanna play the game. | 激怒他们 使他们想玩这个游戏 | 
| [09:30] | To put down $2 to get three baseballs… | 花两美元买三个棒球 | 
| [09:32] | …and try to dunk this obnoxious bastard into the water. | 把那狗杂种摁进水里 | 
| [09:35] | We’ve all seen this. | 我们都看见了 | 
| [09:37] | This kind of booth has been on midways at state fairs | 在州际集市和嘉年华中 | 
| [09:39] | and carnivals for 60 years. | 这种小摊已经存在有六十年了 | 
| [09:42] | Did the clown insult the plaintiff? Yes. | 小丑侮辱了原告吗 是的 | 
| [09:45] | Did he do anything to her that he didn’t do to anybody else? | 他是有意针对原告个人吗 | 
| [09:49] | No. | 不是 | 
| [09:50] | Did he or the carnival have any malicious intent… | 他抑或嘉年华公司对她 | 
| [09:54] | …toward this woman? | 有什么恶意吗 | 
| [09:56] | Of course not. | 当然没有 | 
| [09:58] | You call a person fat, you abuse her. | 你说一个人肥 你辱骂她 | 
| [10:01] | You encourage a crowd of people to laugh at her physicality. | 你挑起一群人嘲笑她的身体缺陷 | 
| [10:04] | And when she’s hurt, you say, | 她受到伤害 你却说 | 
| [10:06] | “No intent. Didn’t mean it.” | “没有冒犯的意思 不是故意的” | 
| [10:10] | The day he died? | 他死的那天? | 
| [10:12] | The very day. | 就是那天 | 
| [10:14] | And what did Mr. Andleman say to you, doctor? | 医生 请问Andleman先生对你说了什么吗 | 
| [10:18] | Basically, that he was very afraid for his life… | 大体上讲 他很担心自己的生命安全 | 
| [10:21] | …and he thought Mr. Heric might try to kill him. | 他觉得Heric先生想杀了他 | 
| [10:24] | Did he say why? | 他有没有说为什么 | 
| [10:26] | Well, he had been getting a lot of veiled threats | 嗯 在前几星期 | 
| [10:29] | over the last few weeks. | 他受到很多次含沙射影的威胁 | 
| [10:30] | Veiled threats? | 含沙射影的威胁? | 
| [10:31] | Yes, Mr. Heric would say things like: | 是的 Heric先生会说 | 
| [10:34] | “How’s your heart? | “你的心脏如何? | 
| [10:36] | Feeling any chest pains?” | 感觉胸痛吗” | 
| [10:38] | You might want to object to this. | 你这时应该反对 | 
| [10:42] | And why, specifically, | Toomy医生 | 
| [10:44] | did he feel in danger on this day, Dr. Toomy? | 具体是为什么 他在这一天感觉到危险 | 
| [10:47] | Because he was about to break up with Mr. Heric. | 因为他正要跟Heric先生分手 | 
| [10:50] | And he said that he was a violent man… | 而且他说 他是个很暴力的人 | 
| [10:53] | …and, moreover, he was not a man who would lose… | 另外 他是绝不认输的人 | 
| [10:57] | …who would let himself be bested. | 他不会让自己被超越 | 
| [11:00] | Marty Andleman said that he was afraid of me? | Marty Andleman说他怕我? | 
| [11:03] | Yes, he did. | 是的 他是这么说 | 
| [11:04] | Afraid I would kill him? | 怕我会杀了他? | 
| [11:06] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [11:08] | Doctor, you were treating him for mental problems? | 医生 你当时是在治疗他的精神疾病吗 | 
| [11:12] | I am not comfortable discussing | 我不太愿意在 | 
| [11:14] | my patient’s problems in open court. | 公开法庭谈论我病人的问题 | 
| [11:18] | You’re not comfortable? | 你不愿意? | 
| [11:19] | What are you doing sitting in that chair? | 那你坐在这里干嘛 | 
| [11:21] | I’m sitting here | 我坐在这儿 | 
| [11:22] | because the prosecution sent me a summons. | 是因为法院给了我一张传票 | 
| [11:25] | Well, you will answer this man’s questions. | 那你就要回答他的问题 | 
| [11:27] | Patient privilege doesn’t apply anymore. | 病人特权着这里不适用 | 
| [11:30] | He suffered from paranoid-personality disorder. | 他患有妄想症人格障碍 | 
| [11:32] | You diagnosed it. | 是你诊断的 | 
| [11:33] | A slight paranoid disorder, yes. | 是的 轻微的妄想症 | 
| [11:36] | I’m no doctor, certainly. | 当然 我不是医生 | 
| [11:38] | But according to the Diagnostic Manual for Mental Disorders: | 不过根据精神疾病诊断手册 | 
| [11:44] | “A pervasive and unwarranted tendency to interpret | “普遍的 毫无根据地把别人的行为 | 
| [11:49] | the actions of people as deliberately threatening.” | 当做威胁的倾向” | 
| [11:54] | Is that a fair diagnosis of the disorder? | 这是这种病的症状吗 | 
| [11:57] | Yes, but… | 是的 但是… | 
| [11:58] | And Mr. Andleman suffered from this disorder, slight? | Andleman先生 轻微地患有这种精神疾病 | 
| [12:03] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [12:03] | Did he suffer from anything else? | 他还有什么其他病吗 | 
| [12:05] | – Clinical depression? – Yes. | -抑郁症? -是的 | 
| [12:08] | He ever talk about suicide? | 他曾提过自杀吗 | 
| [12:09] | Oh, are you now suggesting that | 哦 你在暗示 | 
| [12:11] | he committed suicide, Mr. Heric? | 他是自杀的吗 Heric先生 | 
| [12:13] | No, doctor, I’m merely asking you, | 不 医生 我只是问 | 
| [12:14] | did he ever contemplate suicide? | 他是否考虑过自杀 | 
| [12:17] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [12:18] | Since you asked for my suggestion… | 鉴于你说到我的想法 | 
| [12:20] | …is it a terrible leap, then, | 一个想自杀的人 | 
| [12:22] | to say that a person who would consider suicide… | 也可能会想杀别人 | 
| [12:24] | …might consider homicide? | 不是一个很离谱的假设吧 | 
| [12:27] | – I don’t think… – Doctor, my question is… | -我不认为… -医生 我的问题是 | 
| [12:29] | …is it entirely inconsistent that a person | 一个人同时有自杀和杀人的倾向 | 
| [12:31] | might be both suicidal and homicidal? | 不是完全不可能的吧 | 
| [12:36] | No. | 是的 | 
| [12:36] | One last question, then I’ll let you go. | 最后一个问题 你就可以走了 | 
| [12:39] | I know that you are loath to talk about your patients. | 我知道你不太愿意谈你的病人的问题 | 
| [12:43] | Did Marty Andleman manifest a tendency toward violence? | Marty Andleman有暴力倾向吗 | 
| [12:49] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [12:51] | Thank you. That’s all. | 谢谢 我问完了 | 
| [13:03] | We were just walking through the fairgrounds… | 我们正经过游乐场 | 
| [13:06] | …and suddenly he started in into a microphone. | 忽然 从麦克风里传来他的声音 | 
| [13:09] | – The clown? – Yes. | -小丑的? -是的 | 
| [13:11] | Do you remember what he said? | 你还记得他说了什么吗 | 
| [13:12] | Things like, “I guess the Titanic didn’t sink after all.” | 诸如 我想泰坦尼克号没有沉之类的 | 
| [13:16] | He asked whether or not I had named the quintuplets… | 他问 我是不是给我的五胞胎取好名字了 | 
| [13:19] | …or was I just waiting for them to be born first? | 还是等他们生下来再取名 | 
| [13:22] | And he called me a bunch of things. | 他还用很多词叫我 | 
| [13:24] | Do you remember the things he called you? | 还记得他说的那些词吗 | 
| [13:27] | Cow. Pig. Rhode Island. | 母牛 猪 罗德岛 | 
| [13:35] | And then what did you do? | 然后你做了什么 | 
| [13:37] | I tried to smile and pretend I thought it was funny. | 我试图想笑 假装觉得这很好玩 | 
| [13:41] | Everybody else was laughing, | 周围每个人都在笑 | 
| [13:42] | so I just kept walking, smiling. | 所以我就笑着走开了 | 
| [13:46] | – You walked away? – Yes. | -你走开了? -是的 | 
| [13:48] | And he said, “When she turns a cheek, | 他又说 “她转过脸的时候 | 
| [13:50] | she really turns a cheek.” | 真的是不要自己的脸了” | 
| [13:53] | Marcia, were you alone? | Marcia 你当时是一个人吗 | 
| [13:55] | No, I was with a man. | 不 是和一个男人在一起 | 
| [13:56] | I was on a first date. | 那是我第一次约会 | 
| [13:59] | It was very embarrassing for him too. | 他也觉得很尴尬 | 
| [14:02] | And then what happened? | 后来呢 | 
| [14:04] | He told me it was nothing to get upset about. | 他跟我说 这么什么大不了的 | 
| [14:07] | And I tried to pretend it didn’t bother me. | 我假装没受什么影响 | 
| [14:10] | But after the date, I went home and I cried. | 但是约会后回到家 我哭了 | 
| [14:16] | And your date? | 约会结果如何呢 | 
| [14:19] | I never saw him again. | 我后来再也没见过他 | 
| [14:22] | Marcia, here’s the question: | Marcia 我问你 | 
| [14:24] | Why choose to relive this againin a courtroom? | 为什么选择在法庭上重新回顾这一切 | 
| [14:28] | I went to a state fair on a Sunday afternoon. | 我在星期天下午去集市 | 
| [14:33] | I was minding my own business. | 没有招谁惹谁 | 
| [14:35] | And for the entertainment of others, a carnival employee… | 为了取悦别人 一个嘉年华的员工 | 
| [14:38] | …started insulting my physical appearance for profit. | 开始侮辱我的外表来谋取利益 | 
| [14:43] | I am not ashamed of taking that seriously. | 我不认为严肃认真地对待这件事令人羞耻 | 
| [14:46] | When I walk down a street… | 我在大街上走着 | 
| [14:49] | …and people yell things at me… | 人们对我乱喊乱叫 | 
| [14:53] | …the shame should not be mine. | 应该觉得羞耻的不是我 | 
| [14:56] | It should be theirs. | 而是他们 | 
| [15:03] | From the entry, the knife was plunged in. | 刀是从伤口猛然插入的 | 
| [15:07] | It had to have had a certain amount of velocity to it. | 它需要有一定的速度 | 
| [15:10] | There was no mashing of the skin. | 因为皮肤没有碎裂 | 
| [15:11] | By velocity, you mean? | 你说的速度是指? | 
| [15:13] | Like this: | 像这样 | 
| [15:15] | It couldn’t have happened in | 这在他所说的那种扭打情形中 | 
| [15:16] | a struggle the way he says. | 是不可能发生的 | 
| [15:18] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗 | 
| [15:20] | He describes a situation in which | 他说的情形是 | 
| [15:22] | both had their hands on it and were pushing. | 他们两个的手都握在刀上 推拉着 | 
| [15:25] | I’m sorry, but you don’t just push a knife through a sternum. | 很抱歉 但你不可能把刀推入胸骨 | 
| [15:30] | This was a massive blow. It was no struggle. | 这是一次大力袭击 不是扭打 | 
| [15:34] | Do you have an opinion as to | 你是否知道Andleman先生 | 
| [15:35] | how Mr. Andleman was stabbed? | 是怎么被刺的 | 
| [15:37] | I do, based on the trajectory of the wound. | 知道 根据伤口的轨迹 | 
| [15:40] | – May I show you? – Of course. | -我可以演示给你看吗 -当然 | 
| [15:43] | The victim was sitting. | 被害人当时坐着 | 
| [15:46] | The killer came up from behind him and over the top. | 凶手从背后过来 从上面 | 
| [15:49] | He drove the knife in… like this. | 将刀刺入 像这样 | 
| [15:54] | We’re talking about a lot of force here. | 需要用很大的力 | 
| [15:58] | The reason I have a problem, doctor, | 医生 我之所以有问题 | 
| [16:00] | is that you’re completely wrong. | 是因为你完全错了 | 
| [16:03] | And it leads me to ask… | 我想问的是 | 
| [16:04] | …how many other people have been | 有多少人因为你 | 
| [16:05] | falsely convicted by your theories? | 的专业结论被错判了 | 
| [16:08] | – Objection. – Sustained. | -反对 -有效 | 
| [16:10] | Look, I’m not going to debate you on | 我不想和你争辩 | 
| [16:12] | forensics, trajectory, velocity equations, | 法医学 伤口轨迹 速度方程 | 
| [16:14] | because the truth is I know nothing about any of it. | 因为事实上我对它们都一无所知 | 
| [16:17] | But I do know that Marty didn’t die | 但我知道Marty不是按 | 
| [16:19] | the way you say he did. | 你说的那种方式死的 | 
| [16:20] | – Objection. – Sustained. | -反对 -有效 | 
| [16:22] | You aren’t allowed to give arguments at this point. | 在目前的阶段 你不能提出辩论意见 | 
| [16:24] | Just ask questions. | 只能提问 | 
| [16:27] | Sir, in 1987, did you testify against | 先生 1987年你有没有对一个叫 | 
| [16:30] | a man named Alex Beauregard? | Alex Beauregard做过不利证明 | 
| [16:33] | Yes. | 有过 | 
| [16:34] | Your testimony went to trajectory, angle of wound. | 你的证词是不是关于轨迹 伤口角度 | 
| [16:37] | It was a stabbing death, right? | 那是刺伤致死 对么 | 
| [16:38] | I believe that’s correct. | 我想是的 | 
| [16:40] | Mr. Beauregard was convicted of murder | Beauregard先生被判谋杀罪 | 
| [16:41] | and sentenced to life in prison. | 并被判处终生监禁 | 
| [16:42] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [16:43] | Two years later, somebody else confessed to the crime. | 两年后 另外有人认罪了 | 
| [16:47] | The conviction was overturned and he was released. | 判决被推翻 他被释放了 | 
| [16:49] | – Did you know that? – Yes. | 你知道吗 -知道 | 
| [16:51] | And your analysis of wound trajectory | 你关于伤口轨迹的分析 | 
| [16:53] | turned out to be wrong in that case. | 在那个案子里出错了 | 
| [16:55] | – Didn’t it? – Yes. | -对么 -是的 | 
| [16:57] | A crime you essentially convicted him of with your testimony. | 你的证词在审判中起了决定性作用 | 
| [17:00] | So mistakes do happen. | 所以有时候你是会犯错误的 | 
| [17:02] | I’m not mistaken here, Mr. Heric. | 这次我没有犯错 | 
| [17:05] | Mistakes do happen. Yes or no? | 有时会犯错 是或不是? | 
| [17:10] | – Yes. – Thank you. | -是的 -谢谢 | 
| [17:14] | Oh, one last question. | 哦 最后一个问题 | 
| [17:15] | Did you ever apologize to Mr. Beauregard? | 你向Beauregard先生道过歉吗 | 
| [17:19] | No. | 没有 | 
| [17:21] | Gee. | 老天 | 
| [17:32] | – One hundred thousand’s as high as we go. – No. | -10万是我们能给的最高价了 -不行 | 
| [17:35] | Bring it up to 2, I’ll try to sell it. | 加到20万 我会试试说服当事人 | 
| [17:37] | – Two hundred thousand. – Look, you saw the jury… | -20万 -听着 你看到了陪审团的表情 | 
| [17:38] | The jury hasn’t heard our side yet. | 陪审团还没听我们的抗辩呢 | 
| [17:40] | A hundred’s not enough. | 10万太少了 | 
| [17:42] | We’ll give you a quick answer. | 我们会尽快给你答复 | 
| [17:43] | I gave him the answer. | 我已经答复他了 | 
| [17:44] | We have to take the offer to the client. | 我们要把出价告诉客户 | 
| [17:48] | – We’ll get right back to you. – Thanks. | -我们会和你联系 -谢谢 | 
| [17:52] | Don’t you undermine me, Lindsay. | Lindsay 你在拆我的台吗 | 
| [17:53] | You can’t reject an offer without making the client | 你不能在客户不知道的情况下 | 
| [17:55] | aware of it, Ellenor. | 拒绝出价 Ellenor | 
| [18:02] | We’ll offer manslaughter, eight years. | 我们同意非蓄谋杀人 8年 | 
| [18:05] | What? | 什么 | 
| [18:08] | Manslaughter. It’s a moral victory. | 非蓄谋杀人 是道德上的胜利 | 
| [18:11] | But it’s not a victory. | 但这不是胜利 | 
| [18:12] | Well, it’s as good as it’s gonna get. | 这是最好的结果了 | 
| [18:14] | It’s as good as you’ll offer. | 这是你能给的最好条件 | 
| [18:15] | I’ll get better. | 我会得到更好的 | 
| [18:16] | Manslaughter, yes or no? | 非蓄谋杀人 接不接受 | 
| [18:19] | Gee, decisions, decisions. No. | 嗯 快决定 快决定 不 | 
| [18:23] | – Joey. – I said, no. | -Joey -我说不接受 | 
| [18:31] | Are you crazy? They’re offering eight years. | 你疯了吗 他们给八年啊 | 
| [18:33] | Because they know they’ve lost. | 因为他们知道他们输了 | 
| [18:35] | They still got a great case. | 他们形势仍然很好 | 
| [18:36] | Yeah, if you weren’t in favor of me going to prison… | 是的 如果你不是那么赞成我进监狱 | 
| [18:39] | …I might attach some credibility to your insipid little opinions. | 我可能会对你无聊的观点有点兴趣 | 
| [18:42] | You can do what you want, but you committed murder… | 随你怎么样 但是你杀了人 | 
| [18:45] | …and you get an offer of manslaughter? | 而且你得到了判非蓄谋杀人的机会 | 
| [18:48] | As sick as you are, you can’t be that stupid. | 你已经这么变态 怎么还那么蠢 | 
| [18:52] | Stupid? | 我蠢? | 
| [18:54] | Stupid would be listening to you. | 听你的才是蠢 | 
| [18:57] | Touch me again, and I will hurt you. | 再碰我一下 我会给你颜色看 | 
| [19:00] | You think I can’t or I won’t, | 你觉得我不敢 还是 我不会 | 
| [19:02] | then, yeah, you are stupid. | 那你就真的蠢了 | 
| [19:11] | I don’t want her on the case. | 我不需要她加入这个案子 | 
| [19:12] | – Hold on. – No, I don’t want her. | -别激动 -不 我不需要她 | 
| [19:14] | Fine. My malpractice premium is high enough. | 好的 我的渎职保险金够高了 | 
| [19:17] | Part of negotiating a good settlement… | 这是达成和解的一部分 | 
| [19:18] | Don’t bully me, Ellenor. | 别想糊弄我 Ellenor | 
| [19:20] | – You know I’m right, so don’t even try. – Enough. | -你知道我是对的 所以不要尝试 -够了 | 
| [19:23] | You know what? You don’t get it. | 你知道么 你根本不懂 | 
| [19:24] | That fat people face a discrimination, you just don’t get it. | 肥胖的人遭受歧视 你完全不理解 | 
| [19:27] | That’s exactly why Marcia is bringing this case, | 这正是Marcia提起诉讼的原因 | 
| [19:29] | so people like you will get it. | 让你们这些人理解 | 
| [19:31] | I’m a fat-bigot now? | 我说我歧视肥胖者? | 
| [19:32] | I didn’t say that. | 我没那么说 | 
| [19:33] | But while we’re launching accusations of hypersensitivity… | 但当我们因过度敏感提起诉讼… | 
| [19:36] | Oh, please. We’re all on the same side here. | 哦 拜托 大家的目标是一样的 | 
| [19:39] | You’re in the middle of a trial. | 你们正在诉讼当中 | 
| [19:40] | Work it out, both of you. | 完成任务 你们俩 | 
| [19:44] | Eugene, I need you with me this morning too. | Eugene 今天上午我也需要你帮忙 | 
| [19:47] | Can you come? It’s just for the day. | 你可以来吗 就今天 | 
| [19:49] | Sure. | 当然 | 
| [19:51] | And according to Mr. Andleman’s life-insurance policy… | 根据Andleman先生的保险单 | 
| [19:55] | …who would stand to inherit in the event of his death? | 他死后由谁来继承 | 
| [19:58] | The defendant, Joey Heric. | 被告 Joey Heric | 
| [20:00] | And how much would he stand to inherit, sir? | 那他可以继承多少 先生 | 
| [20:02] | Two-point-three million dollars. | 230万美元 | 
| [20:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [20:08] | Mr. Heric? | Heric先生 | 
| [20:10] | No questions, Your Honor. | 没有问题 法官阁下 | 
| [20:13] | You may step down. | 你可以退下了 | 
| [20:15] | Miss Gamble? | Gamble小姐呢 | 
| [20:20] | Your Honor, the Commonwealth calls Joey Heric. | 法官阁下 控方传唤 Joey Heric. | 
| [20:26] | Can she do that? | 她可以那么做? | 
| [20:29] | Your Honor, could we adjourn to chambers? | 法官阁下 请求休庭 去办公室协商 | 
| [20:36] | I have a Fifth Amendment right not to testify. | 根据第五修正案 我有权拒绝作证 | 
| [20:40] | She can’t call me as a witness. | 她不能传唤我作为证人 | 
| [20:41] | He has testified, Your Honor. | 他已经作证了 法官阁下 | 
| [20:43] | He therefore waived his right. | 因此他已经放弃了他的权利 | 
| [20:44] | What are you talking about? | 你在胡说什么 | 
| [20:46] | Mr. Heric put facts into evidence in his opening. | Heric先生在开场陈词中陈述了案件事实 | 
| [20:49] | He told his side of the story. | 他站在他的角度 陈述了事情经过 | 
| [20:50] | I’m entitled to cross-examine his version of the events. | 我有权针对他的说法进行交叉质询 | 
| [20:54] | Opening argument is not evidence. | 开场陈词不是证据 | 
| [20:56] | I know that, I’m not even a lawyer. | 我不是律师 都知道这一点 | 
| [20:58] | But he used it to get in evidence. | 但是他在陈词中引入了证据 | 
| [20:59] | He testified in the narrative. | 他实际上以叙述的方式作了证 | 
| [21:01] | Even so, I’m not inclined to punish him for a mistake… | 即使如此 我不倾向因这个失误惩罚他 | 
| [21:04] | not when it comes to his self-incrimination. | 不能强迫他自证其罪 | 
| [21:07] | A mistake? Come on. | 失误? 算了吧 | 
| [21:09] | Do we really think | 你真的认为 | 
| [21:11] | he didn’t know exactly what he was doing? | 他不知道自己在做什么吗 | 
| [21:13] | He told his side of the story. | 他从自己的角度 陈述事情经过 | 
| [21:15] | And by not taking the stand, | 如果他不站上证人席 | 
| [21:17] | he figured to shield himself from cross-examination. | 就可以逃避交叉质询 | 
| [21:20] | That’s the reason he chose to represent himself. | 这正是他选择自己辩护的原因 | 
| [21:22] | So he could testify and not be subject | 这样一来 他既可以作证 | 
| [21:25] | to cross-examination. | 又逃避了交叉质询 | 
| [21:27] | You give me way too much credit. | 你太抬举我了 | 
| [21:29] | Your Honor, he said in his opening | 法官阁下 他在陈词里说 | 
| [21:31] | the evidence will show it was self-defense… | 证据表明 这是正当防卫 | 
| [21:33] | …the evidence will show that Marty Andleman came at him. | 证据表明 是Marty Andleman先要杀他 | 
| [21:37] | Where’s that evidence gonna come from? | 证据在哪里 | 
| [21:39] | Mr. Heric, | Heric先生 | 
| [21:40] | do you plan to call witnesses to put those facts in? | 你打算传证人来证明这些事实吗 | 
| [21:42] | How can I call witnesses? I was the only one there. | 我去哪里找证人 我是唯一在场的人 | 
| [21:45] | Exactly, making you the only witness. | 太对了 你是唯一的目击证人 | 
| [21:50] | I think I agree with the district attorney. | 我同意检察官的意见 | 
| [21:52] | You’ve put testimony into this trial. | 你在本案中已经作证了 | 
| [21:54] | She can cross-examine. | 他可以对你交叉质询 | 
| [21:56] | Your Honor… | 法官阁下 | 
| [21:57] | That’s what you get when you choose to defend yourself. | 那是你选择自己辩护时就注定的 | 
| [21:59] | You’ve put yourself in a hole. | 你让自己陷入困境 | 
| [22:01] | You’ll have to dig yourself out. | 你必须自己把自己救出来 | 
| [22:03] | Fine. | 好吧 | 
| [22:06] | Helen, you come right at me. | Helen 你尽管放马过来 | 
| [22:19] | I won’t deny the clown is mean-spirited. | 我不否认 这个小丑有点卑鄙 | 
| [22:23] | The truth is that’s why that booth draws the crowds. | 事实上我们的摊位吸引人群的原因 | 
| [22:27] | Because the clown is so outrageous. | 正是这个可恶的小丑 | 
| [22:29] | Does the carnival impose any limitations? | 嘉年华有没有什么限制 | 
| [22:32] | Certainly. No obscene language… | 当然 不能有淫秽语言 | 
| [22:35] | …no picking on people with disabilities, no picking on kids. | 不能嘲笑残疾人和小孩 | 
| [22:39] | Obviously no racial or religious remarks. | 当然也不能涉及种族歧视和宗教歧视 | 
| [22:41] | But as to general physicality? | 关于身体呢 | 
| [22:43] | Yes, it’s really all about that. | 可以 实际上就是拿身体开玩笑 | 
| [22:46] | The big nose, the bald head, | 大鼻子 秃头 | 
| [22:48] | the bad figure, the bad clothing. | 糟糕的身材 糟糕的穿着 | 
| [22:51] | His job is to antagonize the people… | 他的工作就是激怒别人 | 
| [22:54] | so that they become angry enough that they wanna dunk him. | 让人们愤怒 愤怒到愿意花钱打他 | 
| [22:58] | So you do draw limitations on what your clowns can say? | 你们对小丑们说什么的确有限制 对么 | 
| [23:01] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [23:02] | And if my colleague were to pass by… | 那如果我的同事经过 | 
| [23:04] | …your clown wouldn’t remark on his race? | 小丑可能会在嘲笑他的种族吗 | 
| [23:06] | No. | 不会 | 
| [23:07] | He would probably go right for that big bald head. | 他可能会嘲笑他的大秃头 | 
| [23:09] | Come on. I’ve been to a few comedy clubs. | 话说 我去过一些喜剧俱乐部 | 
| [23:12] | I’ve heard some pretty hard-biting racist humor | 听过一些尖刻的种族主义玩笑 | 
| [23:14] | getting big laughs. | 引来阵阵大笑 | 
| [23:16] | I mean, if it’s funny. | 我的意思是 如果那很搞笑 | 
| [23:17] | We wouldn’t allow that. | 我们不允许 | 
| [23:18] | But why? | 但为什么呢 | 
| [23:19] | Everybody knows it’s just a clown act. | 大家都知道那不过是个小丑 | 
| [23:20] | What’s the big deal? | 有什么大不了的 | 
| [23:22] | I see nothing funny in racism. | 我觉得种族歧视没什么好笑的 | 
| [23:24] | And I don’t tolerate it | 我不会允许 | 
| [23:26] | in any form at any one of my carnivals. | 在我的嘉年华里以任何形式出现 | 
| [23:28] | So you do see something funny in fat people? | 所以你的确认为肥胖者是可笑的 | 
| [23:31] | You’ll tolerate making fun of fat people? | 你会允许嘲弄肥胖者 | 
| [23:34] | Yes? | 对么 | 
| [23:35] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [23:37] | Mr. Johnson, your tolerance of this kind of abuse… | Johnson先生 你对这种恶行的容忍 | 
| [23:40] | …is it that you’re unaware of the hurt | 是因为你不知道 | 
| [23:42] | you cause to people like my client… | 这会伤害到我的委托人 | 
| [23:44] | …or is it that you just disregard that kind of pain? | 还是只是不理会这种痛苦 | 
| [23:47] | We never meant to hurt your client, Miss Frutt. | 我们从未存心伤害你的委托人 Frutt小姐 | 
| [23:50] | Are you aware that you did hurt her? | 那你们知道这的确伤害她了么 | 
| [23:52] | Obviously we’re aware now. | 当然 现在我们知道了 | 
| [23:54] | Since you became aware of it, that these words hurt… | 既然你们知道了 这些话伤人 | 
| [23:57] | …have you instructed your clowns to stop ridiculing fat people? | 你们指示小丑停止嘲笑肥胖者了么 | 
| [24:02] | No. | 没有 | 
| [24:06] | Her whole plan will be to get to that other murder. | 她的策略是把前一次的杀人案牵扯进来 | 
| [24:10] | The judge suppressed that. | 法官已经禁止她这么做了 | 
| [24:12] | But if she somehow gets you to open the door on it, | 但如果她能打开一扇小门 | 
| [24:14] | she can get it admitted. | 她就能获得同意 | 
| [24:16] | What do you mean, “open the door”? | 打开一扇门 是什么意思 | 
| [24:17] | Well, she’ll ask: | 比如 她会问 | 
| [24:18] | “What do you mean Marty had a temper?” | “你说Marty脾气不好是什么意思” | 
| [24:21] | She wants you to answer that | 她想让你回答 | 
| [24:22] | he threatened to kill Peter Fineman. | 他曾威胁过要杀了Peter Fineman | 
| [24:24] | If you give any inkling of | 如果你给了任何 | 
| [24:26] | anything to do with that other case, | 与另一个谋杀案有关的暗示 | 
| [24:28] | it’ll get in. | 它就能够呈堂 | 
| [24:30] | The jury will learn you killed somebody else. | 陪审团就知道你杀过别的人 | 
| [24:32] | And if that happens, you can kiss your ass goodbye, Joey. | 如果真的这样 那你就完蛋了 Joey | 
| [24:39] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [24:42] | Joey Joey… | |
| [24:44] | …she is very good. | 她非常的厉害 | 
| [24:50] | Any evidence that Mr. Andleman | 你有任何证据能证明Andleman先生 | 
| [24:52] | could be homicidal? | 有杀人倾向吗 | 
| [24:53] | You heard his own psychiatrist say so. | 你听他的私人心理医生说过了 | 
| [24:56] | Yes, well, any other evidence? | 是的 还有什么其他证据么 | 
| [24:58] | Did you ever see such homicidal tendencies? | 你还发现过他的杀人倾向么 | 
| [25:00] | – Yes. – When? | -是的 -什么时候 | 
| [25:02] | The night he tried to kill me. | 他想杀我的那个晚上 | 
| [25:04] | The night you killed him? | 你杀了他的那个晚上? | 
| [25:06] | In self-defense. | 出于正当防卫 | 
| [25:07] | Did he ever threaten to kill you before? | 他曾经威胁过要杀你么 | 
| [25:09] | – No. – Did he threaten to kill anybody else? | -没有 -他威胁过要杀什么其他人么 | 
| [25:12] | For the purpose of this trial… | 在本案中 | 
| [25:13] | …the judge has instructed us not to talk about any other occasion… | 法官要求我们不要谈他是否曾经 | 
| [25:17] | …where he may have or may have not | 在其它的场合 | 
| [25:18] | threatened to kill anybody else. | 威胁杀害其他人 | 
| [25:21] | That’s right. | 是的 | 
| [25:24] | – You say he came at you with the knife. – Yes. | -你说他拿着那把刀走向你 -是的 | 
| [25:27] | – And you thought he would kill you. – Yes. | -而你认为他会杀了你 -是的 | 
| [25:30] | – So you decided to kill him instead. – Well… | -然后你就决定杀了他 -呃… | 
| [25:33] | You didn’t try to get the knife away? | 你没有试图把刀夺过来吗 | 
| [25:35] | Yes, but I couldn’t. | 有啊 但是我做不到 | 
| [25:36] | – And you struggled? – Yes. | -然后你们扭打? -是的 | 
| [25:38] | Tell me, at what point during the struggle | 告诉我 在扭打中 | 
| [25:40] | did you say to yourself: | 你在哪一刻告诉自己 | 
| [25:42] | “I’m going to kill him”? | “我决定要杀了他” | 
| [25:44] | I never decided to kill him, Miss Gamble. | 我从未决定要杀他 Gamble小姐 | 
| [25:47] | My intent was for him not to kill me. | 我只是想让他不杀我 | 
| [25:50] | Yes, and to accomplish that, | 是的 为了达到这个目的 | 
| [25:51] | you decided you would kill him. | 你决定杀了他 | 
| [25:53] | – That isn’t so. – You said you intended to kill him. | -不是的 -你说过你想杀了他 | 
| [25:56] | – I never said… – You grabbed the knife. | -我从没说过 -你夺走了刀 | 
| [25:58] | I said, I killed him in self-defense. | 我说过 我杀他是出于正当防卫 | 
| [26:00] | Yes. And that is a deliberate act. | 是的 那是个故意行为 | 
| [26:02] | You deliberately killed him. | 你故意杀了他 | 
| [26:04] | It was a struggle. Are you listening? | 我们在扭打 你在听么 | 
| [26:06] | Mr. Heric, you can’t have it both ways. | Heric先生 你只能两者选其一 | 
| [26:08] | Were you trying to wrestle the knife away | 你是想把刀夺下来 | 
| [26:11] | or were you trying to kill him? | 还是要杀了他 | 
| [26:13] | I was trying to wrestle it away when it went into him. | 我试着把刀夺走 但是刀刺向了他 | 
| [26:16] | You thrust it. | 是你用力刺的 | 
| [26:17] | It went into him during the struggle. | 在扭打中刺向了他 | 
| [26:19] | – It went in by accident? – Yes. | -是意外么 -是的 | 
| [26:21] | I never intended to kill him. | 我从未打算杀了他 | 
| [26:22] | How many ways can I say it? | 你要我说多少遍 | 
| [26:25] | You said it perfectly. | 你说得非常清楚了 | 
| [26:36] | Have you ever stabbed and killed anybody else, Mr. Heric? | Heric先生 你曾经刺死过什么别的人么 | 
| [26:40] | Did you not hear my question, Mr. Heric? | 听见我的问题了么 Heric先生 | 
| [26:43] | Your Honor. | 法官阁下 | 
| [26:44] | Your honor, you ruled | 法官阁下 你之前裁定 | 
| [26:46] | if he argued accident, | 如果他以意外来辩护 | 
| [26:47] | the other case would be admissible. | 另外一起案件就可以呈堂 | 
| [26:49] | Well, he just argued accident. | 他刚刚正是以意外来辩护 | 
| [26:51] | – Objection. – I’ll allow it. | -反对 -反对无效 | 
| [26:53] | – Now, wait a second. – Mr. Donnell, sit down. | -等一等 -Donnell先生 坐下 | 
| [26:56] | Have you ever killed anybody else by stabbing, Mr. Heric? | 你以前刺死过人吗 Heric先生 | 
| [26:59] | That’s suppressed. | 这是禁止呈堂的 | 
| [27:01] | Your Honor, that’s suppressed. | 法官阁下 这是禁止呈堂的 | 
| [27:03] | Not anymore. | 不再禁止了 | 
| [27:03] | Did you kill a former lover | 你有没有用刀 | 
| [27:05] | by stabbing him in the chest with a knife? | 将一个以前的情人从胸前刺死 | 
| [27:08] | Yes or no, sir? | 有还是没有 先生 | 
| [27:10] | All right. Well, I’ll just keep asking until I get an answer. | 好吧 我会一直问 直到你回答我为止 | 
| [27:13] | Did you kill a former lover by stabbing him to his death… | 你有没有用刀刺死以前的爱人 | 
| [27:17] | …with a kitchen knife? | 用一把菜刀? | 
| [27:19] | – Did you kill a former…? – I plead the Fifth Amendment. | -你有没有用刀… -我援引第五修正案 【即有权拒绝自证其罪】 | 
| [27:21] | No, you can’t do that. See, | 不 你没有这个权利 | 
| [27:23] | you were already granted immunity on that. | 因为那个案子你已经得到了豁免 | 
| [27:25] | So the Fifth Amendment isn’t available to you now. | 所以第五修正案不再适用 | 
| [27:28] | Let me ask again. | 让我再问一次 | 
| [27:30] | Did you kill City Councilman Peter Fineman… | 你有没有用一把菜刀 | 
| [27:33] | …by stabbing him to his death with a kitchen knife? | 杀死了市议员Peter Fineman | 
| [27:36] | Yes or no? Did you kill…? | 有还是没有 你有没有杀了… | 
| [27:38] | I don’t remember. | 我不记得了 | 
| [27:42] | You don’t remember? | 你不记得了 | 
| [27:45] | Did you testify under oath that you killed him? | 你是否曾在庭上作证说你杀死了他 | 
| [27:53] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [27:56] | Your Honor, I have no more questions. | 法官阁下 我没有问题了 | 
| [28:08] | Mr. Heric, you may step down. | Heric先生 你可以退下了 | 
| [28:14] | Mr. Heric, you may step down. | Heric先生 你可以退下了 | 
| [28:17] | I think I should tell now. | 我想我现在应该说出来 | 
| [28:21] | – Could we adjourn, please? – I want to tell! | -请求休庭 -我要说 | 
| [28:24] | Your Honor? | 法官阁下 | 
| [28:25] | Mr. Heric… | Heric先生… | 
| [28:28] | …do you know where you are? | 你知道你在哪儿么 | 
| [28:30] | I’m in deep trouble. | 我麻烦缠身了 | 
| [28:34] | I wanna tell. | 我要说出来 | 
| [28:37] | I did kill Peter Fineman. | 我的确杀了Peter Fineman | 
| [28:41] | But I didn’t kill Marty. | 但我没杀Marty | 
| [28:45] | He killed himself. | 他是自杀的 | 
| [28:49] | I beg your pardon? | 什么? | 
| [28:53] | He framed me. | 他陷害我 | 
| [28:55] | That would be going to some length to get somebody in trouble, | 那样陷害别人有点太费周折 | 
| [28:58] | don’t you think? | 你不觉得么 | 
| [29:01] | We were breaking up. But I was leaving him. | 我们正要分手 我要离开他 | 
| [29:06] | He picked up the kitchen knife and he started laughing. | 他拿起菜刀开始笑着说 | 
| [29:11] | “They’re all gonna think you did it, Joey. | “他们都会认为是你杀了我 Joey | 
| [29:15] | You killed Peter this way. | 你就是这么杀了Peter | 
| [29:16] | And when they find me in your apartment… | 他们在你的公寓里发现我 | 
| [29:19] | …with a knife in my chest, | 胸上插着一把刀的时候 | 
| [29:21] | they’ll all blame you.” | 他们都会怀疑你” | 
| [29:25] | And he laughed some more. | 他又笑了 | 
| [29:27] | “You’ll never get the insurance money… | 说 “你永远得不到保险费 | 
| [29:31] | …because they’ll all think you did it, | 因为他们会认为是你干的 | 
| [29:33] | and you’ll be in jail. | 你会坐牢 | 
| [29:35] | And even if they learn the truth, | 即使他们知道了真相 | 
| [29:37] | my insurance doesn’t cover suicide.” | 我的保险不包括自杀” | 
| [29:39] | And he smiled at me. | 他又对我笑 | 
| [29:44] | And he said, “I finally got you, Joey. | 说 “我最终赢了你 Joey | 
| [29:48] | I bested you. I win, you lose.” | 我战胜你了 我赢了 你输了” | 
| [29:56] | And with that, he thrust the knife into his chest. | 说着 他把刀刺向了自己 | 
| [30:05] | Then why…? | 那为什么 | 
| [30:08] | Why did you claim it was self-defense? | 为什么你要声称是正当防卫呢 | 
| [30:11] | Nobody beats me. | 没有人能战胜我 | 
| [30:15] | I wasn’t gonna let him win. | 我不会让他赢的 | 
| [30:20] | Self-defense, I still get the money. | 正当防卫 我还能拿到钱 | 
| [30:24] | And even if I didn’t, I wasn’t gonna let him win. | 即使拿不到 我也不会让他赢 | 
| [30:34] | Your Honor, we need to call one more witness. | 法官阁下 我们需要传唤另一个证人 | 
| [30:38] | I couldn’t let him win. | 我不会让他赢 | 
| [30:47] | When you form a conclusion about people | 当你以貌取人 | 
| [30:48] | based on appearance, it’s bigotry. It’s prejudice. | 这就是偏见 这就是歧视 | 
| [30:55] | And as politically correct as this country has become… | 虽然”政治正确”已经遍布这个国家 | 
| [30:59] | …the prejudice against fat people, | 但是对肥胖者的歧视 | 
| [31:00] | well, that one’s not so bad, is it? | 却不那么糟糕 对吗 | 
| [31:04] | I mean, we’re to blame. | 我的意思是 都怪我们自己 | 
| [31:05] | It’s our own fault. | 是我们自己的错 | 
| [31:06] | We must eat too much, we’re lazy, | 我们吃太多 我们懒 | 
| [31:08] | we’re not disciplined, we’re sloppy. | 我们没有自制力 我们邋遢 | 
| [31:10] | You know, I was at a movie theater once… | 知道么 有一次 我在一家剧院 | 
| [31:13] | …and they showed a fat person at the beach in a bathing suit. | 他们放到一个胖子穿着泳装站在海边 | 
| [31:16] | And the audience openly cringed and groaned. | 观众们哄堂大笑 笑得前俯后仰 | 
| [31:19] | And nobody, nobody was ashamed to do so. | 没有人 没有一个人对此感到羞愧 | 
| [31:25] | You see, every billboard, every fashion magazine… | 我们看到 每块广告牌 每本时尚杂志 | 
| [31:29] | …tells us to be ashamed of our bodies. | 都使我们对自己的身体羞愧 | 
| [31:32] | “Be thin. Be thin.” | 要瘦 要瘦 | 
| [31:35] | Would my client like to be thinner? I don’t know. | 我的委托人想更瘦些么 我不知道 | 
| [31:37] | I can tell you I certainly would. | 但告诉你们 我的确想 | 
| [31:40] | Does she struggle with her weight? I don’t know. | 她试过减肥么 我不知道 | 
| [31:42] | I can tell you I do. | 我告诉你们我的确减过肥 | 
| [31:46] | But does that mean | 但那就意味着 | 
| [31:47] | we should be ashamed of our bodies? | 我们要为我们的身体羞愧么 | 
| [31:50] | Absolutely not. | 当然不是 | 
| [31:52] | I don’t expect the bigotry to end with the wave of a wand. | 我不指望有根魔杖一点 偏见就会消失 | 
| [31:56] | It has been going on for so long, | 它存在了太久太久 | 
| [31:58] | it’s gonna take a long time to stop it. | 需要很长的时间才会终结 | 
| [32:02] | But if we are to stop it, | 但是如果我们想终结它 | 
| [32:05] | we need a beginning. | 我们需要一个起点 | 
| [32:07] | For somebody, one jury, | 某个人 某个陪审团 | 
| [32:10] | to say that it is prejudice… | 要站出来说 这是歧视 | 
| [32:11] | …and that it is not okay. | 是不合理的 | 
| [32:17] | This is a very, very brave woman. | 这是个非常非常勇敢的女人 | 
| [32:22] | I so admire her. | 我很敬佩她 | 
| [32:27] | And I promise you, it was not easy for her | 我敢保证 来到这个法庭 | 
| [32:30] | to come into this courtroom… | 对她来说非常不容易 | 
| [32:38] | Please help her to give the courage to other fat people… | 请帮助她给其他的肥胖者带来勇气 | 
| [32:41] | …to stand up and say, “Enough.” | 站出来说 “受够了” | 
| [32:47] | Enough. | 受够了 | 
| [32:53] | Well, we seem to sue over everything these days, don’t we? | 现在我们好像对什么都要起诉 是么 | 
| [32:56] | Wrongful termination, sexual harassment. | 非法解雇 性骚扰 | 
| [33:00] | Now it’s just insults. | 现在 仅仅只是无礼 | 
| [33:04] | What about the Little League, | 少年棒球联合会里 | 
| [33:06] | where the third baseman taunts the batter? | 三垒手嘲讽击球手又怎么办呢 | 
| [33:08] | And what about the movie | 那些有肥胖者 | 
| [33:10] | that shows the fat woman on the beach? | 在沙滩上的电影怎么办 | 
| [33:12] | What about the movies and the TV shows… | 那么多的在外表上开玩笑的 | 
| [33:14] | …that ridicule someone’s appearance? | 电影和电视节目怎么办 | 
| [33:16] | What are we gonna do? Shut them down? | 我们要怎么做 关了他们? | 
| [33:21] | The cattlemen | 一个牧场主 | 
| [33:23] | sued Oprah for criticizing a hamburger. | 因为奥普拉批评牛肉汉堡而起诉她 | 
| [33:28] | Where and when is this going to stop? | 这要到什么时候 在什么地方才会终结呢 | 
| [33:32] | I don’t like the clown bit. | 我不太喜欢小丑戏弄人 | 
| [33:34] | I thought it was insensitive. | 我觉得太没心没肺 | 
| [33:38] | But this guy was dressed up as a clown. | 但他是在扮小丑 | 
| [33:43] | Running off to court every time your feelings are hurt… | 每次你觉得受伤害就上法庭 | 
| [33:46] | Come on. | 拜托 | 
| [33:49] | We’re becoming a nation of victims. | 我们快变成一个到处都是受害人的国家了 | 
| [33:54] | Who’s next? | 下一个是谁 | 
| [34:05] | You have to trust me now, Joey. | 你现在必须相信我 Joey | 
| [34:07] | I’m taking over, I call the shots, | 现在我来接手 你听我的 | 
| [34:09] | and you have to trust me. | 你必须信任我 | 
| [34:11] | Why do you even wanna help me? | 为什么你会想帮我 | 
| [34:13] | I’m not sure that I even do. | 我根本不想帮你 | 
| [34:15] | But I’m on this case. | 但我是这个案子的律师 | 
| [34:17] | I have to make the legal decisions that I think are necessary. | 我必须做我认为正确的法律决定 | 
| [34:20] | Now, Dr. Jordan… | Jordan医生… | 
| [34:22] | He won’t agree to testify | 不同意为你作证 | 
| [34:24] | unless you wear hand and leg restraints. | 除非你带上手铐脚链 | 
| [34:28] | Why? | 为什么 | 
| [34:29] | He doesn’t think that you’ll be able to tolerate | 他认为你不能容忍 | 
| [34:31] | some of his testimony. | 他的一些证词 | 
| [34:38] | How long did you treat Joey Heric? | 你治疗Joey Heric多久了 | 
| [34:41] | Almost six years. | 大概六年了 | 
| [34:43] | Is it possible | 是不是有这样的可能 | 
| [34:44] | that the man sitting there | 坐在这儿的这个人 | 
| [34:47] | would rather face murder charges… | 宁愿面临谋杀罪 | 
| [34:49] | …than admit he was outsmarted? | 也不愿承认自己不如人聪明 | 
| [34:52] | Not only is it possible, | 不仅是可能 | 
| [34:54] | I would consider it almost probable. | 我觉得这是很有可能的 | 
| [34:56] | What kind of narcissism are we talking about? | 我们所说的自恋症是什么? | 
| [34:58] | The same kind of narcissism that prevented you raising insanity. | 与防止人疯掉一样的自恋 | 
| [35:02] | This man needs to believe he is mentally superior. | 这个人 他需要智力上的优越感 | 
| [35:05] | Look at him. | 看看他 | 
| [35:07] | He sits there half-dead, | 他半死不活地坐在那儿 | 
| [35:09] | not because he’s looking at a conviction… | 不是因为他面临定罪的危险 | 
| [35:10] | He probably doesn’t even care about that. | 他甚至并不在乎这个 | 
| [35:13] | He’s near catatonic | 他濒临紧张性神经症 | 
| [35:15] | because that woman tricked him. | 是因为中了那个女人的圈套 | 
| [35:17] | She outmaneuvered him on this witness stand. | 她在证人席上以计谋胜了他 | 
| [35:21] | Any punishment you give him… | 你给他的任何惩罚 | 
| [35:23] | …won’t be as bad as what he’s suffering right now. | 都不会比他现在承受的更糟 | 
| [35:29] | This is a bit much for me. | 这有些超出我可以接受的范围了 | 
| [35:31] | I don’t doubt that. | 我承认 | 
| [35:34] | The man’s willing to risk a life term in prison | 这个人宁愿有生命危险 | 
| [35:37] | rather than just say: | 也不愿意承认 | 
| [35:38] | “Gee, my lover one-upped me by trying to kill himself.” | “天 我的情人通过自杀占了上风” | 
| [35:43] | Trying to make sense of him is futile, Miss Gamble. | 想理解他是徒劳的 Gamble小姐 | 
| [35:46] | He has an acute narcissistic disorder. | 他有严重的自恋精神紊乱症 | 
| [35:49] | He needs to win. | 他必须赢 | 
| [35:51] | And would that need to win | 他对胜利的渴求同样 | 
| [35:53] | apply to this trial, doctor? | 适用于这个案子么 医生 | 
| [35:56] | Excuse me? | 什么意思 | 
| [35:57] | Wouldn’t Joey feel an overwhelming need to win this trial? | Joey会不会极其想赢这个案子 | 
| [36:00] | Yes, he would. | 是的 他会的 | 
| [36:02] | And he’s a brilliant man, isn’t he? | 他是个很聪明的人 对么 | 
| [36:04] | He’s a genius. | 他是个天才 | 
| [36:06] | Given his genius and his need to win… | 既然他是天才而又那么渴望赢 | 
| [36:08] | …is it possible, | 是不是有可能 | 
| [36:10] | after I caught him on the stand… | 当我在证人席上揭穿他的时候 | 
| [36:11] | …is it possible that he manufactured this wonderful story… | 他是不是可能编造了这个 | 
| [36:14] | …about Marty killing himself? | Marty自杀的故事 | 
| [36:19] | That is possible. | 有可能 | 
| [36:22] | Does it have to make sense, this kind of narcissistic disorder? | 这种自恋精神错乱 能以常理来理解吗 | 
| [36:27] | It defies sense or logic. | 它与常识和逻辑是不相容的 | 
| [36:29] | As Dr. Jordan testified, | 正如Jordan医生所说的 | 
| [36:32] | narcissist can’t bear criticism of any kind. | 自恋症患者不能忍受任何形式的批评 | 
| [36:36] | Imagine when the man he loved looked him in the eye, | 想像一下 他爱的那个男人看着他的眼睛 | 
| [36:38] | smiled at him, and said: | 笑着说 | 
| [36:40] | “I’ve outsmarted you. | “我比你聪明 | 
| [36:41] | I schemed you out of your insurance money. | 你没办法得到保险赔偿了 | 
| [36:44] | I beat you.” | 我打败了你” | 
| [36:46] | This man doesn’t lose. | 这个人从来不输 | 
| [36:50] | No, he doesn’t. | 不 他没有 | 
| [36:52] | And he wasn’t going to lose this one, was he? | 这次他也不会 对么 | 
| [36:55] | He orchestrated an immunity agreement | 他在第一个谋杀案 | 
| [36:58] | after the first murder. | 精心设计得到了豁免权 | 
| [37:00] | And here he is today… | 而今天他 | 
| [37:02] | …suddenly saying that the second victim took his own life. | 忽然说他的第二个受害者自杀了 | 
| [37:06] | Maybe his best mind game of all. | 也许这是他最好的益智游戏 | 
| [37:09] | Well, how can anybody be sure? | 谁能确定呢 | 
| [37:12] | You heard his story, it sounded real, | 你们听说了这个故事 它听起来像真的 | 
| [37:14] | and he was the only one there. | 而他是唯一在场的人 | 
| [37:16] | And his treating doctor said | 他的治疗医生说 | 
| [37:18] | his story is not only possible, it is probable. | 这不仅是可能的 还是很有可能的 | 
| [37:23] | Probable. And the victim’s doctor testified… | 很有可能 被害人的心理医生证明 | 
| [37:26] | …that Marty Andleman did show suicidal tendencies. | Marty Andleman的确有自杀倾向 | 
| [37:30] | You heard that. | 你们都听到了 | 
| [37:32] | Joey Heric laughed after the first murder. | Joey Heric在第一个谋杀案后笑了 | 
| [37:35] | He’s laughing at me now. | 现在他正在嘲笑我 | 
| [37:37] | The only remaining question: Does he get to laugh at you? | 下一个问题是 他会嘲笑你么 | 
| [37:49] | Please be seated. | 请坐 | 
| [37:51] | The Honorable Adam Clarke presiding. | 尊敬的Adam Clarke主审 | 
| [38:03] | Madam Foreperson, we’ll hear from you. | 首席陪审员女士 请宣布判决 | 
| [38:09] | “In the matter of Marcia Belson | 关于Marcia Belson | 
| [38:12] | v. New England Carnival Company… | 诉新英格兰嘉年华公司 | 
| [38:13] | …on the count of intentional infliction of emotional distress… | 故意施加精神伤害一案 | 
| [38:17] | …we find in favor of the plaintiff… | 我们判决原告胜诉 | 
| [38:20] | …and order the defendant to pay damages… | 判令被告支付 | 
| [38:22] | …in the amount of $330,000.” | 33万元的赔偿金 | 
| [38:28] | The jury is dismissed with the thanks of the court. | 陪审团可以解散 谢谢你们 | 
| [38:31] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [38:41] | If you tell anybody I cried, I break your head. | 如果你告诉别人我哭了 我饶不了你 | 
| [38:44] | I understand. | 明白 | 
| [39:23] | Members of the jury, you have your verdict? | 陪审团成员们 你们做出判决了吗 | 
| [39:27] | We do, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 | 
| [39:30] | Will the defendant please rise? | 被告请起立 | 
| [39:34] | Come on. | 快起来 | 
| [39:38] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 | 
| [39:40] | “In the matter of the Commonwealth v. Joseph Heric… | 马萨诸塞州诉Joseph Heric | 
| [39:43] | …on the charge of murder in the first degree… | 关于一级谋杀的指控 | 
| [39:45] | …we find the defendant, Joseph Heric, | 我们判决Joseph Heric | 
| [39:48] | not guilty.” | 无罪 | 
| [39:55] | The defendant is free to go. | 被告当庭开释 | 
| [39:59] | Members of the jury, thank you for your service. | 陪审团的成员们 谢谢你们的付出 | 
| [40:02] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [40:32] | Several of the jurors polled say | 几位接受采访的陪审员表示 | 
| [40:34] | they do think he committed the murder… | 他们认为被告的确谋杀了受害人 | 
| [40:36] | …but they just couldn’t be positive. | 但他们没法确定 | 
| [40:38] | The only thing we can be sure of, as of right now… | 我们唯一可以确定的是 现在 | 
| [40:41] | …Joey Heric is once again a free man. | Joseph Heric重获自由 | 
| [40:44] | Thank you, Robert. Elsewhere today, | Robert 谢谢你 在其他方面 | 
| [40:47] | a fiery midair collision took the life of… | 一场严重的空难夺去了… | 
| [40:52] | Maybe I should keep some of this stuff. Souvenirs. | 也许我应该保存这些东西 作为纪念 | 
| [40:55] | Research, in case I ever need it again. | 研究一下 以防我还要用到它们 | 
| [40:57] | Joey Joey… | |
| [41:00] | …get some help. | 去看医生吧 | 
| [41:02] | It’s just so hard to find, Bobby. | 没有用的 Bobby | 
| [41:05] | Well, still here. | 哟 还在这儿 | 
| [41:08] | Thought you’d be out placing a personal by now. | 还以为你现在出去刊登交友广告了 | 
| [41:12] | Cute. | 幽默 | 
| [41:13] | “Failed at love twice. Willing to take another stab. | “爱情失败两次 我还想再刺一刀 | 
| [41:18] | Forever yours, Lovesick.” | 永远是你的 相思病” | 
| [41:20] | Kind of gets you right… here, doesn’t it? | 就好像直接刺到这儿 不是么 | 
| [41:24] | I know you’re a murderer. | 我知道你是谋杀犯 | 
| [41:26] | Yes, but do you know I killed Marty? | 是的 但是 你知道我杀了Marty吗? | 
| [41:31] | I’ll tell you this, Dorothy: | 告诉你 Dorothy | 
| [41:33] | When you had me on the stand, | 证人席上 你盘问我的时候 | 
| [41:36] | you really had me. | 你真的把我难住了 | 
| [41:38] | I got sexually stimulated a little. | 我感到有些性兴奋 | 
| [41:42] | Yeah, I could have wanted to deny that Marty killed himself… | 是的 我最先否认Marty是自杀 | 
| [41:46] | …that I couldn’t bear the idea of losing to him. | 因为我不能忍受输给他 | 
| [41:49] | Or you were right. | 或者你是对的 | 
| [41:51] | I could have made it all up to avoid losing to you. | 这一切都是我编的 只为不输给你 | 
| [41:57] | It’s so damn confusing. | 太他妈复杂了 | 
| [42:02] | That’s why narcissism is such a bugger. | 因此 自恋症就是这么个家伙 | 
| [42:06] | You can’t live with it, | 你不能和他一起生活 | 
| [42:08] | but you can date. | 但是你可以和他约会 |