时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 |
[00:03] | We found the defendant Anderson Pearson | 我们判决被告Anderson Pearson |
[00:05] | guilty. | 罪名成立 |
[00:06] | It is not evident from the record | 庭审笔录并未明确反映 |
[00:09] | that judge Hiller actually ruled in this matter, | Hiller法官对这一问题做出了裁定 |
[00:12] | thereby prohibiting self-defense. | 明确禁止以正当防卫辩护 |
[00:14] | The conviction of Anderson Pearson therefore | 因此 对Anderson Pearson的有罪判决 |
[00:17] | stands. | 依然有效 |
[00:18] | You’re trying a kid for murder, | 你以谋杀罪起诉这个孩子 |
[00:20] | a kid you know didn’t commit murder. | 可是你明明知道这孩子没有杀人 |
[00:22] | Stop telling me what I know. | 你用不着跟我说这些 |
[00:23] | At best | 往好了说 |
[00:24] | your boy saw a 15-year-old girl getting moled | 你的当事人眼看着一个15岁的女孩被猥亵 |
[00:26] | and went for a walk. | 他却出去散步 |
[00:28] | At worst he killed her. | 往坏了说 他杀了她 |
[00:29] | Either case | 不管是哪种情况 |
[00:30] | I have no problem putting him away. | 我都不介意把他送进监狱 |
[00:31] | We find the defendant Kevin Peete | 我们判决被告Kevin Peete |
[00:33] | guilty as charged. | 罪名成立 |
[00:35] | What now, Helen? | 现在怎么办 Helen |
[00:36] | You get your conviction, | 你赢得了有罪判决 |
[00:38] | but for the wrong guy. | 可是判的却是无辜的人 |
[00:40] | Boyfriend bludgeoned the babysitter, | 男友用棍棒打死了做保姆的女友 |
[00:41] | we already did one lineup. | 我们已经指认过一次了 |
[00:43] | But we wanna run it again. | 但我们还想再指认一次 |
[00:45] | Why? | 为什么 |
[00:46] | Coz this is the witness. | 因为这就是我们的目击证人 |
[00:47] | He is four years old. | 他只有四岁 |
[00:49] | Every defendant has the right to confront his own accuser. | 每个被告都有权与指控他的人当庭对质 |
[00:51] | Without that four-year-old, | 这个四岁的证人不出庭作证 |
[00:53] | the killer walks. | 凶手就会被释放 |
[00:54] | I’m not going to allow it. | 我不能同意让他作证 |
[00:55] | I’m afraid you have no choice. | 恐怕你没有别的选择 |
[00:57] | I’m his mother, | 我是他的母亲 |
[00:58] | and I’m gonna protect him | 如果别人都不保护他 |
[01:00] | if no one else will. | 我一定会保护他的 |
[01:01] | This case is dismissed. | 本案不予受理 |
[01:03] | The defendant is free to go. | 被告当庭开释 |
[01:06] | As I told your dad, I’m convinced they got the wrong guy. | 就像我跟你爸说的 我确信他们抓错人了 |
[01:10] | And if they do, | 如果真抓错了人 |
[01:10] | that means that this thing was either | 那就意味着这整件事要么是 |
[01:12] | a mission of frame George Vogelman | 有人要陷害George Vogelman |
[01:14] | or somebody was after your sister. | 要么就是冲着你姐姐来的 |
[01:16] | She did spent a lot of time on the internet, | 她的确有点沉迷于网络 |
[01:18] | talking with people she didn’t know. | 跟不认识的人聊天 |
[01:20] | Would you say that in court? | 你愿意在庭上这么说吗 |
[01:21] | I guess. | 也许吧 |
[01:22] | Boyfriend lives alone, brother, big house, | 男朋友一个人住 弟弟住在大房子里 |
[01:25] | why weren’t they considered? | 为什么没人怀疑过他们 |
[01:26] | They were checked out, they’re both choir boys. | 他们被排除了 他们都是好孩子 |
[01:27] | Yeah, but still no official alibi | 是的 但是如果所有人都睡着了 |
[01:29] | if everyone is asleep. | 那他们就没有有效的不在场证明 |
[01:31] | Why not plan B them? | 为什么不采取B计划呢 |
[01:32] | It might be worth a try. | 也许值得一试 |
[01:33] | Give them a soft plan B. | 给他们来个温和的B计划 |
[01:35] | Plan B, soft, for both. | B计划 温和点 针对他们俩 |
[01:36] | Did you murder your sister | 你是否杀害了你姐姐 |
[01:38] | and frame George Vogelman? | 然后栽赃给George Vogelman |
[01:38] | -What? -Objection! | -什么 -反对 |
[01:39] | Did you follow her to the bar | 你是不是跟踪她去了酒吧 |
[01:40] | and then go to the motel? | 然后又去了旅馆 |
[01:41] | -Objection! -That’s sick. | -反对 -太荒谬了 |
[01:42] | You asked us to trust you. | 你让我们相信你 |
[01:49] | You just stole my son’s innocence. | 你毁了我儿子的清白 |
[01:53] | He’s get to apologize, if he says he is sorry… | 他应该道歉 如果他说他很抱歉… |
[01:55] | He said he is sorry, what… | 他说了抱歉 怎么… |
[01:57] | Who? Who? Clinton? | 谁 谁 克林顿吗 |
[01:58] | Pearson, sentencing is tomorrow. | Pearson 明天宣判 |
[01:59] | Hiller goes for contrition. | 真心悔改能打动Hiller |
[02:01] | I’d actually rehearse him. | 我可以教他怎么说 |
[02:02] | A good show of remorse | 真诚地表达悔意 |
[02:04] | can be the difference between 18 and life. | 结果可能是18年和终生监禁之间的差别 |
[02:06] | Actually, uh, I’m thinking… | 实际上 我在考虑… |
[02:10] | Thinking what? | 考虑什么 |
[02:12] | I’m gonna ask her to reduce the charge to manslaughter. | 我打算请求她将罪名减轻为非蓄谋杀人 |
[02:14] | What? | 什么 |
[02:15] | That’s what it really was. | 本来就应该是非蓄谋杀人 |
[02:16] | Whoa, whoa, whoa. | 喂 喂 喂 |
[02:18] | They convicted him of murder because | 陪审团之所以判他谋杀罪 |
[02:19] | manslaughter wasn’t available | 是因为检方没有起诉非蓄谋杀人 |
[02:20] | not because of… | 而不是因为… |
[02:21] | Of all the judges that won’t fly with… | 没有哪个法官会同意的 更何况… |
[02:22] | Judge Hiller is the last person on earth you… | Hiller法官是天底下最不可能同意的人… |
[02:24] | She is all I have got. | 可是她是我唯一的机会 |
[02:25] | Lindsay Lindsay. | |
[02:26] | I’ve done the research. | 我已经研究过了 |
[02:28] | We need to talk about this. | 我们得好好谈谈这个事情 |
[02:31] | Whoa, looks like clients are paying their bills. | 哇 看起来客户付费挺慷慨啊 |
[02:34] | Tommy Tommy. | |
[02:35] | How are you doing, Bobby? | 你怎么样 Bobby |
[02:36] | Jimmy. Hey, Ellie. | Jimmy 嗨 Ellie |
[02:38] | Hey, Tommy. | 嗨 Tommy |
[02:39] | What’s up? | 什么事 |
[02:40] | Well, this is a little delicate. | 呃 说起来有点复杂 |
[02:41] | That’s why I’m here in person. | 所以我必须亲自来一趟 |
[02:43] | Actually, I had kind of a long night of the soul before I… | 实际上 我昨天考虑了一整晚 最后我… |
[02:47] | I represent Steve Robin and his dad. | 我现在代理Steve Robin和他父亲 |
[02:51] | We’re suing you. | 我们正式起诉你们了 |
[02:53] | What? | 什么 |
[02:53] | I know. I’m not too thrilled. | 我知道 我也不想这么做 |
[02:55] | But… | 但是… |
[02:56] | oh, and I had to name you guys personally too. | 对了 我不得不把你们个人也列为被告 |
[02:58] | in case you try to dissolve the partnership or something. | 以防你们解散事务所什么的 |
[03:00] | Steve Robin? Steve Robin? | |
[03:01] | Yeah, brother of the victim | 是的 就是你们的Vogelman案中 |
[03:02] | in your Vogelman trial. | 受害人的弟弟 |
[03:04] | Eugene accused him of being the killer. | Eugene指控他是杀人凶手 |
[03:06] | That’s deformation, intentional infliction. | 这是诽谤 故意造成精神伤害 |
[03:08] | You can’t sue for that. | 你不能因此起诉我们 |
[03:09] | We have qualified immunity. | 我们有合理豁免权 |
[03:10] | You’re probably right, | 也许你说得对 |
[03:11] | but my research says we might make a go of it. | 但是根据我搜集的资料 我们也许能胜诉 |
[03:13] | You got a lot of nerve. | 你真够有胆量的 |
[03:14] | Well, the thing is, | 呃 重点是 |
[03:15] | you say something like that to a grieving brother, | 你对悲伤中的弟弟说那些话 |
[03:19] | accuse him of killing his own sister | 指控他杀死了自己的亲姐姐 |
[03:20] | when you know he didn’t, | 而你明明知道这不是事实 |
[03:21] | that’s bad. | 这很恶劣 |
[03:23] | Uh, personally I don’t think | 我个人认为 |
[03:24] | it’s an excuse that you said it in court. | 在法庭上说并不能成为你们免责的理由 |
[03:26] | Oh, and look, I have to go for ** all your property, | 噢 对了 我还得申请查封你们的财产 |
[03:29] | gotta protect the judgment. | 以确保判决能够履行 |
[03:30] | You know how it goes. | 你们都懂的 |
[03:31] | The hearing on that is tomorrow. | 相关的听证安排在明天 |
[03:33] | It’s ex parte, | 只是单方听证 |
[03:34] | but I tell you anyway | 但我还是告诉你们 |
[03:35] | because we were all in the same fraternity. | 因为我们毕竟是同一个兄弟会的 |
[03:37] | So, be seeing you. | 所以 庭上见 |
[04:29] | There is qualified immunity for what is said in court! | 在法庭上的言论享有合理豁免权 |
[04:31] | Ellenor Jimmy Rebecca Ellenor, Jimmy, Rebecca, | |
[04:32] | I want you to all get on this, | 我要你们都来做这个事情 |
[04:34] | research and draft the memo. | 做检索 起草文书 |
[04:35] | Ellenor, you take the hearing. | Ellenor 你负责听证 |
[04:37] | Jimmy, notify our insurance. | Jimmy 通知我们的保险公司 |
[04:39] | This case is bogus. | 这个案子是滥诉 |
[04:40] | I’m not taking chances. | 我不想冒险 |
[04:41] | We don’t want Tommy Silva | 我们千万不能让Tommy Silva |
[04:43] | ever getting this to a jury. | 把这个案子推到陪审团面前 |
[04:45] | Lindsay, in my office. | Lindsay 来我办公室 |
[04:51] | You already went to appeals asking them to overrule judge Hiller. | 你已经上诉要求推翻Hiller法官的裁定 |
[04:53] | And I almost won it, you said so yourself. | 我差点就赢了 你自己也这么说 |
[04:55] | The point is, she doesn’t like | 关键是 她不喜欢这样 |
[04:56] | when lawyers go running behind her back | 她不喜欢律师跑到上诉法院去 |
[04:57] | -and saying she screwed up. -Oh, please. | -说她搞错了 -噢 是吗 |
[04:58] | And springing this on her at sentencing? | 而且在宣判的时候又突然提出这个请求? |
[05:00] | I’m not springing it, I’m filing… | 我不是突然提出 我是申请… |
[05:01] | You want Pearson hit with life? | 你想让Pearson被判终生监禁吗 |
[05:03] | Because that’s what’s gonna happen. | 因为后果必定是这样 |
[05:05] | Not if I persuade… | 不会的 只要我能说服… |
[05:06] | I know Zoey Hiller. | 我了解Zoey Hiller |
[05:07] | Your best shot at reduce sentence is | 想要减刑 最好的办法是 |
[05:10] | Pearson taking responsibility for the crime. | 让Pearson对自己的罪行表现出悔意 |
[05:11] | Are you going there still bet on the conviction? | 你难道还把希望放在减轻罪名上吗 |
[05:13] | -I think you are wrong! -Lindsay. | -我觉得你错了 -Lindsay |
[05:15] | Your strategy is the reason he is in jail, Bobby, | 是你的辩护策略害得他坐牢的 Bobby |
[05:17] | don’t tell me! | 不要来教育我 |
[05:21] | I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that. | 对不起 我不是这个意思 |
[05:23] | Yes, you did, you keep saying it, | 是的 你就是这个意思 你一直这么说 |
[05:24] | you must mean it. | 你肯定就是这个意思 |
[05:25] | It is not unheard of for a judge to convert a sentence. | 法官变更罪名并不是没有先例 |
[05:28] | Cowboy judges maybe. | 敢于突破成规的法官也许会 |
[05:30] | But she isn’t that. | 但她不是那类法官 |
[05:32] | She is by the book. | 她是照章办事的人 |
[05:34] | She will rebut against this | 她一定会驳回你的申请 |
[05:36] | and your professor will end up | 你的教授最后 |
[05:37] | doing more time than he otherwise would. | 会坐更长时间的牢 |
[05:41] | Trust me. | 相信我 |
[05:52] | Excuse me, Ms. Gamble? | 不好意思 Gamble女士吗 |
[05:54] | Yes? | 什么事 |
[05:54] | I thought that was you. | 我就看出来是你 |
[05:55] | Edward Herrelson Edward Herrelson. | |
[05:56] | Hello. | 你好 |
[05:57] | Well, have you been able to come up | 你们有没有找到更多的证据 |
[05:58] | with any more evidence to make the arrest? | 现在能不能逮捕他 |
[06:00] | I’m sorry. You are… | 对不起 你是… |
[06:03] | Edward Herrelson Edward Herrelson. | |
[06:04] | My daughter was killed by the Parish boy. | 那个叫Parish的孩子杀死了我女儿 |
[06:07] | The witness is four years old. | 目击证人是个四岁的孩子 |
[06:10] | Oh. | 哦 |
[06:11] | Well, do you have any new evidence? | 那么 你们找到新的证据了吗 |
[06:14] | Ah, not that I am aware of, no. | 噢 据我所知没有 还没有 |
[06:17] | Well, have you checked? | 那 你过问了没有 |
[06:19] | Well, I will check and get back to you. | 我回去问一下 然后告诉你 |
[06:22] | You will check? | 你回去问一下? |
[06:24] | Today, I promise. | 今天就问 我保证 |
[06:27] | I don’t mean to be a pest. | 我并不想惹你讨厌 |
[06:30] | He killed my daughter. | 他杀了我女儿 |
[06:36] | I felt about two inches tall. | 我当时觉得自己只有2英寸高 |
[06:38] | Nothing has changed, Hellen. | 没有任何新的情况 Hellen |
[06:39] | The four-year-old is all we’ve got. | 那个四岁男孩仍然是我们唯一的证人 |
[06:40] | And he gets less liable the longer we wait. | 我们等的时间越长 他的可信度就越低 |
[06:42] | Nothing physical? | 没有物证吗 |
[06:44] | No partial print? Tyre print? | 没有残缺的指纹 轮胎印? |
[06:46] | Trust me. We’ve tried. | 相信我 我们已经尽力了 |
[06:50] | I think we’re going to have to be honest | 我觉得 我们只能跟女孩的父母 |
[06:51] | with the girl’s parents. | 坦白说明情况 |
[06:54] | The kid who killed their daughter is gonna stay free. | 杀害他们女儿的凶手将会逍遥法外 |
[06:57] | Um, there has to be something we can do. | 嗯 一定还有其他的办法 |
[07:01] | It is risky. | 有点冒险 |
[07:02] | The rest of your life is in her hands. | 你的后半生都在她手里了 |
[07:03] | If I get her angry… | 如果我惹恼了她… |
[07:06] | Well, can’t you bring the motion | 你不能在提出申请的同时 |
[07:07] | without getting her angry? | 不要惹她不高兴吗 |
[07:08] | Yes. I mean, I’m certainly not going to antagnise her. | 可以 我是说 我当然不会跟她作对 |
[07:11] | But she has little patience for anything unorthodox, | 但是她对任何不合常规的东西都没有耐心 |
[07:14] | and showing up at the sentencing | 而在宣判的时候提出申请 |
[07:15] | asking her to reduce the charge, | 要求她减轻罪名 |
[07:16] | that’s unorthodox. | 这是不合常规的 |
[07:18] | The upside? | 有利的方面呢 |
[07:19] | You’re looking at twenty minimum among murder two, | 二级谋杀 你最少会被判20年 |
[07:22] | probably twenty five. | 有可能是25年 |
[07:23] | Manslaughter? | 非蓄谋杀人呢 |
[07:25] | Out in maybe four. | 也许四年就能出来 |
[07:27] | But if we get her angry? | 但是如果我们惹恼了她 |
[07:28] | I get life. | 我会被判终身监禁 |
[07:32] | It’s your call. | 决定权在你 |
[07:39] | let’s go for manslaughter. | 就申请改判非蓄谋杀人吧 |
[07:43] | Tommy Tommy | |
[07:44] | Hey, Dave. | 嗨 Dave |
[07:45] | Hey, Jimmy. | 嗨 Jimmy |
[07:46] | Can I steal you a second? | 能跟你说几句话吗 |
[07:47] | Yeah, yeah, I’ll see you there. | 好的 好的 一会儿见 |
[07:53] | Off the record? | 这话咱们就私下里说 |
[07:55] | Sure. | 没问题 |
[07:55] | Between you and me, | 老实跟你说 |
[07:57] | I think what Eugene did to that kid | 我也觉得Eugene对那孩子所做的事 |
[07:59] | was out of line. | 太过分了 |
[08:00] | But going after lawyers for what they do or say in court. | 但是起诉律师在法庭上的行为和言论 |
[08:05] | You sure you want to be doing this? | 你确定你要这么做? |
[08:07] | Like I said, it was a tough call. | 正如我所说 我犹豫了很久 |
[08:10] | I mean, the father and the brother, | 但是 那位父亲和弟弟 |
[08:11] | they were in my office in tears. | 他们在我办公室 泪流满面 |
[08:12] | My heart went out. | 我很同情他们 |
[08:15] | I have known you a long time. | 我认识你很长时间了 |
[08:17] | You’re a good guy. | 你是个好人 |
[08:18] | I appreciate that. | 谢谢你这么说 |
[08:21] | This is kind of a small town. | 这个圈子并不大 |
[08:23] | A lawyer who sues other lawyers… | 一个律师起诉别的律师… |
[08:28] | You gotta look at the big picture here. | 你应该考虑一下大局 想得长远一点 |
[08:31] | You know, Jimmy, | 你知道吗 Jimmy |
[08:32] | I appreciate you taking the time to look out for me like this. | 我很感谢你肯花时间 这样来关心我 |
[08:38] | I hope to pay you back one day. | 这个人情我以后会还你的 |
[09:00] | Ms, Gamble. | Gamble女士 |
[09:01] | Can I come in? | 我能进来吗 |
[09:04] | Sure, sure. | 当然 当然 |
[09:07] | Danny, you remeber Ms. Gamble? | Danny 你记得Gamble女士吗 |
[09:10] | Can you say hi? | 跟她打声招呼 |
[09:11] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[09:12] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[09:14] | Let’s go to the kitchen. | 我们去厨房说吧 |
[09:21] | I… | 我… |
[09:24] | I know the last thing you’re gonna wanna hear | 我知道你最不想听的事 |
[09:27] | is me asking again that your son | 就是我又来问你一次 |
[09:29] | testify at a probable cause hearing. | 请你儿子在正当诉由听证会上作证 |
[09:31] | But the killer is still out there, Ms. Walsh. | 但是凶手依然逍遥法外 Walsh女士 |
[09:33] | What if he would kill somebody else? | 万一他又杀了其他人呢 |
[09:35] | I have never denied being totally selfish about this. | 我从不否认在这件事上我很自私 |
[09:38] | No, you haven’t been selfish. | 不 你并不自私 |
[09:40] | You’ve been Danny’s mother. | 你是Danny的妈妈 |
[09:41] | And I still am. | 我现在依然是 |
[09:44] | See, the thing is | 事情是这样 |
[09:45] | different public defenders are in the courts | 每天的法庭上 会有不同的公设辩护人 |
[09:48] | on different days ready to take appointments. | 准备接受法庭指定的案件 |
[09:50] | Some are agressive, some aren’t. | 他们有的很尽职负责 有的则不然 |
[09:53] | Some are lazy, some aren’t. | 有的比较懒 有的不懒 |
[09:54] | Some have little boys of their own. | 有的自己也有孩子 |
[09:56] | What are you trying to tell me? | 你想跟我说什么 |
[09:57] | There is one woman PD, | 有一个女公设辩护人 |
[09:58] | It would go against her grain | 对她来说 为难一个小孩 |
[10:00] | to be rough on a little boy. | 会违背她的原则 |
[10:02] | If…if we could arraign the Parish kid | 如果…如果我们把传讯Parish的时间 |
[10:04] | on the same day that | 跟她在庭上等待接案件的时间 |
[10:05] | she was in the court taking… | 安排在同一天… |
[10:06] | And suppose the kid manages to hire his own lawyer this time. | 那如果这一次他聘请了自己的律师呢 |
[10:09] | Or the case gets reassigned? | 或者这个案子被指定给其他人呢 |
[10:12] | Ms. Gamble. | Gamble女士 |
[10:13] | Danny still has nightmares. | Danny还在做恶梦 |
[10:16] | Two weeks ago, | 两个星期前 |
[10:18] | they flashed that Parish boy’s face on the news | 新闻上播放了那个叫Parish的男孩 |
[10:20] | and he started to cry and shaked all over going | 他立刻就大哭起来 全身发抖 |
[10:22] | that’s him, that’s him. | 说着 “就是他 就是他” |
[10:23] | I can’t let this… | 我不能再让这样的事… |
[10:24] | If I could give some assurance. | 如果我保证他的安全呢 |
[10:26] | I’m sorry. Please. | 对不起 求你了 |
[10:30] | All right. | 好吧 |
[10:31] | I at least had to ask. | 无论如何我必须问一下 |
[10:33] | I had an idea that… | 我本来以为… |
[10:38] | What? | 怎么了 |
[10:39] | You said he was pointing at the TV going him? | 你说他指着电视说 “就是他”? |
[10:43] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[10:44] | And he was upset? | 他当时很不安? |
[10:45] | Almost hysterical. Why? | 几乎歇斯底里 怎么了 |
[10:49] | Ms. Walsh, would you be willing to tesitify? | Walsh女士 你愿意出庭作证吗 |
[10:52] | Me? How? Can I? | 我? 怎么做 我可以吗 |
[10:53] | I didn’t see anything. | 我什么都没看见啊 |
[10:54] | If I could persuade the court to let you testify | 如果我能说服法庭允许你作证 |
[10:57] | instead of Danny, would you? | 而不是让Danny作证 你愿意吗 |
[11:01] | I guess I owe you that much. | 我想这是我应该为你做的 |
[11:13] | Arrest him. | 逮捕他 |
[11:18] | I’m meeting Lindsay at the court house, | 我去法院跟Lindsay会合 |
[11:19] | I should be back by lunch. | 我午饭时应该能回来 |
[11:21] | You guys set? | 你们都准备好了吗 |
[11:22] | Yeah, we’re ready. | 是的 都准备好了 |
[11:22] | Jimmy got all the research on attorney immunity | Jimmy对律师豁免权做了详细研究 |
[11:24] | The case all looks good. | 以往的案例都对我们有利 |
[11:26] | You know who is sitting? | 你知道哪个法官来审吗 |
[11:26] | Papp Papp. | |
[11:29] | Can I help you? | 有什么能帮你的 |
[11:30] | I’m looking for, uh, him. | 我在找… 呃 他 |
[11:36] | I just want you to know, | 我只是想让你知道 |
[11:38] | I hoped to deliever the summons myself, but | 我本来打算亲自送传票来的 但是 |
[11:42] | Mr. Silva didn’t think it’s smart. | Silva先生认为这样做不妥当 |
[11:46] | Since you’re represented by counsel, Mr. Robin, | Robin先生 既然你委托了律师代理 |
[11:52] | I really shouldn’t speak with you. | 我真的不能跟你谈话 |
[11:54] | I came to make one request. | 我来是想提一个要求 |
[11:55] | The doctors give me about six months | 医生说我只有半年时间了 |
[11:58] | I would appreciate | 我希望你们 |
[11:59] | you not draging it with delays | 不要反复申请延期来拖延时间 |
[12:01] | Like I know lawyers are capable of doing | 我知道你们律师可以这样做 |
[12:04] | Win or lose, | 不管输赢 |
[12:05] | I’d like to play this out before I go. | 我希望在我死之前能有个结果 |
[12:20] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[12:25] | Be seated. | 请坐 |
[12:31] | I’ll hear from the defense. | 请被告陈述 |
[12:35] | Your honor, I have a motion | 法官阁下 我想提交一份申请 |
[12:36] | together with a memorandum of law | 以及一份法律备忘录 |
[12:38] | asking you to commute Mr. Pearson conviction’s | 请求您把Pearson先生的罪名 |
[12:40] | of murder in the second degree | 由二级谋杀 |
[12:41] | to one of manslaughter. | 减轻为非蓄谋杀人 |
[12:43] | It wasn’t my intent to surprise the court. | 我并不是有意突然在法庭上提出 |
[12:45] | I just made this decision. | 我只是刚刚做出这个决定 |
[12:47] | I’m certainly willing to give the Commonwealth time to respond. | 我愿意给检方一定的时间来准备应对 |
[12:50] | Your honor, I take strong exception, | 法官阁下 我表示强烈反对 |
[12:52] | if she had time to draft the memorandum | 如果她有时间起草备忘录 |
[12:54] | She had time to make a phone call | 她也应该有时间打个电话 |
[12:55] | To the court as well. | 也应该有时间给法院打 |
[12:57] | I’m agreeing to time now. | 我现在愿意延期 |
[12:58] | The motion is denied. | 驳回请求 |
[13:00] | I would like to be heard before… | 我希望您能先听听… |
[13:02] | If you felt your client should have been | 如果你认为你的当事人 |
[13:03] | charged with manslaughter, | 应该被指控非蓄谋杀人 |
[13:05] | you should have raised it before trial. | 你应该在开庭之前就提出请求 |
[13:07] | We have no right or authority | 我们没有权力 |
[13:08] | to tell the Commonwealth what to charge. | 告诉检方该指控什么罪名 |
[13:10] | So what are you doing now? | 那么你现在在干什么 |
[13:12] | You have the right as a judge, | 作为法官 您有这个权力 |
[13:13] | in the interest of fairness… | 为了公平起见… |
[13:14] | Yes. And if you asked me to consider it, | 是的 如果你之前提出请求的话 |
[13:17] | maybe. | 我也许会考虑 |
[13:18] | You can act without a lawyer | 在律师没有提出请求的情况下 |
[13:19] | -having to ask you -you’re not fooling me, counsel. | -您同样可以考虑 -你别想糊弄我 律师 |
[13:21] | You kept this card in you deck. | 你一直留着这张牌 |
[13:23] | Go through with the trial and if we lose, | 等审判结束了 如果你们输了 |
[13:25] | argue prosecutorial misconduct | 你们就提出检方行为不当 |
[13:27] | not to charge manslaughter | 应该指控非蓄谋杀人 |
[13:29] | That’s not what I’m doing. | 我没有这么做 |
[13:30] | It is. You’re look for a free bite. | 你有 你就是想两头占便宜 |
[13:32] | I am not looking for you to take… | 我并不是请求你… |
[13:34] | The answer is no. | 我的回答是 不行 |
[13:36] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[13:37] | Can you at least read it? | 你至少先看一下吧 |
[13:39] | If you want to hold me in contempt. | 如果你要判我藐视法庭 |
[13:41] | Fine. But you have been strong-arming | 没关系 但是你从一开始 |
[13:43] | this case from the start. | 就在强行干扰这个案子 |
[13:44] | This stinks! | 你坏透了 |
[14:01] | I’m glad you didn’t set out to antagonize her. | 我真庆幸你本来不打算跟她对着干 |
[14:04] | That’s the first time I’ve lost it since I was six, | 这是我六岁以后第一次情绪失控 |
[14:07] | I’m playing with my brother at Candy Land, | 那时我跟我哥哥在玩糖果乐园 【棋盘游戏】 |
[14:09] | I…sent the board flying. | 我…把棋盘扔飞了 |
[14:11] | Lindsay, you lost it with me | Lindsay 在这个案子上 |
[14:13] | a few weeks ago of this case. | 你几个星期以前就在我面前情绪失控过 |
[14:14] | Now, I’m gonna see judge Hiller | 现在 我准备去见Hiller法官 |
[14:16] | and try to talk you out of jail. | 劝她放你出去 |
[14:17] | Then, | 然后 |
[14:20] | I think I should take over. | 我想这件案子该由我来接手 |
[14:21] | You are not ready on this. | 你没有充分的准备 |
[14:23] | There is a lot of research involve… | 我做了许多相关的研究… |
[14:24] | I can take over on straight sentencing. | 我接手之后可以只管量刑的问题 |
[14:26] | I think we should just drop this Hail Mary | 我想我们应该放弃非蓄谋杀人 |
[14:28] | for manslaughter. | 不要再做垂死挣扎了 |
[14:29] | Pearson wants to go for it. | Pearson想这么做 |
[14:30] | You talked him into going for it. | 是你说服他这么做的 |
[14:32] | Even if there was a shot, | 就算是有一定的机会 |
[14:33] | which I don’t think there ever was… | 尽管我一直都认为毫无机会… |
[14:34] | This is my case. | 这是我的案子 |
[14:35] | It isn’t your case. It’s our case. | 不是你的案子 是我们的案子 |
[14:38] | Pearson came in looking to hire me. | Pearson是找我为他辩护 |
[14:40] | Remember? | 记得吗 |
[14:41] | You cooperate this case. I let you. | 你协助我 我让你协助我 |
[14:43] | But I’m taking over now. | 但是现在该由我来接手 |
[14:46] | I just hope it’s not too late. | 我只希望还不算太晚 |
[14:49] | 22664, Commonwealth vs. James Parish. | 案号22664 马萨诸塞州诉James Parish |
[14:53] | Murder in the first degree. | 一级谋杀罪 |
[14:54] | Michael Forbes for the defendant, your honor. | Michael Forbes为被告辩护 法官阁下 |
[14:57] | We’ll waive reading. | 放弃宣读权利 |
[14:58] | We’d also be asking that my client be released O.R pending. | 我们请求允许被告自我保释 具结候审 |
[15:02] | The Commonwealth oppose to any bail, your honor. | 检方反对任何形式的保释 法官阁下 |
[15:04] | This is the second they’ve arrested my client. | 这是他们第二次逮捕我的当事人 |
[15:06] | They couldn’t even satisify probable cause | 上一次 他们连正当诉由 |
[15:07] | -the first time. -This time we can. | -都证明不了 -这一次可以 |
[15:09] | It amounts to harrassment. | 你们这是相当于骚扰 |
[15:10] | The defendant committed murder, your honor. | 被告犯了谋杀罪 法官阁下 |
[15:12] | Under current law, it’s not considered harrassment to arrest him. | 根据现行的法律 逮捕他并不构成骚扰 |
[15:17] | I’m denying bail. | 被告不准保释 |
[15:18] | PC hearing tomorrow, ten o’clock. | 明天举行正当诉由听证 十点钟 |
[15:20] | That’s all. | 就这样 |
[15:27] | He has his own lawyer. | 他自己请了律师 |
[15:28] | He is pretty aggressive, actually. | 说实话 他非常强硬 |
[15:30] | I have been up against him before. | 我以前跟他交过手 |
[15:31] | Great. | 好极了 |
[15:32] | Danny won’t be taking the stand, only you. | Danny不需要出庭作证 只需要你出庭 |
[15:35] | The law is unequivocal. | 相关的法律非常明确 |
[15:37] | A lawyer enjoys immunity for conduct which occur… | 律师享有豁免权 对于他在法庭上的… |
[15:39] | Qualified immunity, not absolutely. | 是合理豁免权 不是绝对的豁免 |
[15:40] | Oh, come on, Tommy. This is a murder trial. | 噢 拜托 Tommy 这可是谋杀案 |
[15:42] | A case with the police fail to investigate. | 警察在这个案子中根本没有深入调查 |
[15:45] | We certainly have to be allowed to consider other suspects. | 我们当然应该有权利指出其他的嫌疑人 |
[15:48] | Of course you do. | 你们当然可以 |
[15:48] | But that doesn’t give you the right | 但是这并不意味着你们有权利 |
[15:49] | to make bold false lie accusation. | 提出冒失的 虚假的指控 |
[15:51] | We didn’t do that. | 我们没有这么做 |
[15:53] | Your honor, you have the transcripts. | 法官阁下 您有庭审的笔录 |
[15:54] | The called my client the killer, | 他们指控我的当事人是凶手 |
[15:55] | said he killed his own sister. | 说他杀了自己的亲姐姐 |
[15:57] | And our complaint alleges | 我们在诉状上指出 |
[15:59] | they didn’t have a good faith believing that accusation. | 他们并没有合理的理由相信这一指控 |
[16:01] | If you read the transcripts closely, | 如果你仔细阅读庭审笔录 |
[16:03] | you will see we raised the possibility, | 你会发现我们只是提出这种可能性 |
[16:04] | -there is a big… -Here is the newspaper from the next day. | -有很大的… -这是庭审后第二天的报纸 |
[16:07] | Defense accuses brother. | 辩方指控弟弟 |
[16:08] | Oh, so, we now, rely on journalist to state the facts? | 噢 我们现在要靠记者来陈述事实? |
[16:11] | My point is, | 我的意思是 |
[16:12] | this kid had to walk around everyday | 这个孩子以后走到哪里 |
[16:14] | with people looking at him funny. | 周围的人都会奇怪地看着他 |
[16:16] | Did he kill her? | 是他杀了她吗 |
[16:17] | Always a little truth behind stuff like that. | 在这样的事情上 总是无风不起浪 |
[16:19] | They painted him as helpless, desperate, and homicidal. | 他们把他说成无助 绝望 有杀人倾向 |
[16:23] | All is part of the defense’s plan to get their client off. | 这一切都是为了帮他们的当事人脱罪 |
[16:26] | And it worked. | 的确成功了 |
[16:26] | Good for them. | 他们干得不错 |
[16:27] | Mr. Vogelman walked. | Vogelman先生无罪释放 |
[16:29] | But Steve Rovin got left with his reputation crippled. | 但是Steve Rovin却名誉扫地 |
[16:32] | They say they have immunity to behave this way. | 他们说他们有豁免权 可以这样做 |
[16:34] | I disagree. | 我不同意 |
[16:36] | Acts in court have to be conducted in good faith. | 在法庭上的一切行为都应以诚信为原则 |
[16:38] | And their weren’t. | 他们没有做到 |
[16:39] | Who is kidding who? | 是谁在跟谁开玩笑 |
[16:40] | Look at what the prosecutors were doing. | 看看检察官都干了些什么 |
[16:42] | They withheld evidence from us in this case. | 他们向我们隐瞒了与案件有关的证据 |
[16:44] | They pretty much didn’t even investigate for fear | 他们甚至根本没有去调查 因为他们担心 |
[16:46] | the true facts would screw things up. | 事实真相会把案子搞砸 |
[16:48] | They had our backs up against the wall, | 他们把我们逼到了墙角 |
[16:50] | and we did everything and anything we could to fight back. | 我们倾尽全力 用尽一切手段去反击 |
[16:52] | And now he is suggesting | 现在他居然提出 |
[16:54] | that witnesses who get cross examined | 证人因为在被交叉质询的时候 |
[16:55] | a little too tough | 感情受到了一点伤害 |
[16:56] | should be allowed to sue us? | 就可以起诉我们? |
[16:58] | That is laughable. | 这太可笑了 |
[16:59] | Someone calls you a murderer, | 要是有人说你是杀人凶手 |
[17:00] | I doubt you’d laugh. | 看你还笑不笑得出来 |
[17:02] | -Come on, Tommy… -All right. | -拜托 Tommy -好了 |
[17:04] | You’ve made your arguments. | 双方的意见我都听清楚了 |
[17:05] | Now I’m going to think about it. | 现在 我需要考虑一下 |
[17:13] | Knock, knock. | 咚 咚 咚 |
[17:16] | What a nice surprise. | 好大的惊喜啊 |
[17:18] | I am…I assume you’re here to invite me to a movie? | 我… 我猜你来这儿是想请我看电影吧 |
[17:24] | It’s her law professor, she is, | 被告是教她法律的教授 她… |
[17:26] | she is emotionally caught up in the whole thing. | 她在处理这个案子上太感情用事了 |
[17:29] | Ah, I see. | 哦 我明白了 |
[17:30] | And I should have anticipated | 所以我早就应该料到 |
[17:32] | having a brief hurled at my head. | 她会拿法律文书砸我的头? |
[17:38] | She is sorry. | 她感到很抱歉 |
[17:41] | Is it me or… | 只是我这么觉得 还是… |
[17:42] | I seem to be hearing that a lot in court lately. | 我最近在庭上似乎经常听到”我很抱歉” |
[17:45] | I’m sorry. | “对不起” |
[17:46] | Did I miss something? | 是我跟不上潮流了吗 |
[17:48] | Did I’m sorry suddenly become | 怎么”对不起”突然变成了 |
[17:50] | an affirmative defense? | 一个积极的抗辩理由 |
[17:51] | Well, truth be told, your honor, | 呃 事实上 法官阁下 |
[17:53] | you, you stepped a little bit over the line yourself. | 你 你自己有一点点越界了 |
[17:56] | Not bothering to even read the brief. | 你甚至懒得看她的申请书 |
[17:58] | I don’t need to read the brief. | 我根本不需要看 |
[18:00] | All I had to do was look at the letterhead | 我只要看看信笺抬头 |
[18:02] | and see your firm’s name attached to it. | 看到上面写着你们事务所的名字就够了 |
[18:05] | What’s that supposed to mean? | 你这是什么意思 |
[18:07] | It means all you people do is stunt. | 意思是 你们只知道耍花招 |
[18:11] | You argue jury nullification | 你们只要一有机会 |
[18:13] | every chance you get or moral duress | 就会打”废弃裁决”或者”道德赦免” |
[18:15] | We didn’t. | 我们没有 |
[18:16] | In this one, | 在这个案子上 |
[18:17] | you came in claiming self-defense. | 你们一开始想打正当防卫 |
[18:19] | And you switiched to involuntarily act. | 然后你们又改成意外事件 |
[18:22] | It’s called a zealous defense | 这叫积极的辩护 |
[18:24] | which every client is entitled to. | 每个当事人都有这个权利 |
[18:25] | Was it a zealous defense last week | 上个星期的案子也是积极辩护吗 |
[18:28] | when Eugene Young stood up in court | 当Eugene Young站在法庭上 |
[18:31] | and accused the victim’s own brother of killing her? | 指控受害人的亲弟弟杀害了她 |
[18:34] | That case has nothing to do with this. | 那个案子跟这个案子根本没有关系 |
[18:36] | It has everything to do | 跟你们是什么样的人 |
[18:38] | with who and what your firm is. | 你们是什么样的事务所可大有关系 |
[18:40] | You even blindsided Helen Gamble, | 你们甚至暗算了Helen Gamble |
[18:43] | calling her to the stand. | 突然传她上庭作证 |
[18:45] | you don’t play straight, Bobby. | 你们一点都不光明正大 Bobby |
[18:47] | And I am so sick of it. | 对此 我真的无比厌恶 |
[18:50] | So when you walk in here after a verdict, | 所以 当你在判决之后跑到我这里来 |
[18:54] | with yet another of your little tricks, | 又想耍你的小花招 |
[18:56] | don’t expect me to give you the benefit of the doubt. | 不要指望我会把你往好的方面想 |
[19:02] | I expect you to read the brief. | 我只希望你能看一下申请书 |
[19:05] | I expect you not to punish a criminal defendant | 我希望你不要仅仅因为不喜欢他的律师 |
[19:07] | just because you don’t like the lawyers. | 就对刑事案件的被告做出额外惩罚 |
[19:09] | I expect you to rule without | 我希望你在判决的的时候 |
[19:10] | letting your own personal feeling get in the way | 不要被个人的好恶所蒙蔽 |
[19:12] | -You should have thought that. -Let me finish. | -你应该想清楚 -让我说完 |
[19:14] | I don’t have to let you finish, | 我不需要等你说完 |
[19:15] | -I am the judge. -Then act like one! | -我是法官 -那就该有法官的样子 |
[19:18] | You’re angry at Lindsay Dole | 你不高兴Lindsay Dole |
[19:19] | because she got the appeal’s court to say you were wrong. | 是因为她让上诉法院指出了你的错误 |
[19:21] | -It isn’t about that. -And you are out of line, | -跟这个无关 -你太过分了 |
[19:22] | not to mention stubborn to admit. | 而且你还固执地不肯承认 |
[19:24] | -Get out of this room. -You used to be fairness. | -给我马上出去 -你曾经很公正 |
[19:27] | Now you’re all about ego. | 现在你只在乎自己的自尊心 |
[19:28] | You’re not the judge I used to respect, | 我只知道 你已经不是我以前 |
[19:29] | -that I do know. -Keep talking, keep talking. | -敬重的那个法官了 -继续说 继续说 |
[19:30] | What I don’t know is what happened -Keep talking. | -我不明白的是 -继续说 |
[19:31] | -to make you so embittered. -Keep talking. | -你为什么变得如此小心眼 -继续说 |
[19:33] | As an officer of the court, I hold you in contempt! | 作为法律人 我觉得你才是藐视法庭 |
[19:48] | What time did you get out? | 你什么时候出来的 |
[19:49] | Ten o’clock. | 10点 |
[19:49] | I thought this was a judge you are on good terms with. | 我以为你跟这个法官关系很好 |
[19:52] | So did I. | 我也这么以为 |
[19:53] | Where are we on Robins? | Robins的案子进展如何 |
[19:55] | Arguments went ok. | 口头辩论还比较顺利 |
[19:56] | I’m drafting up a 12-B-6. But, | 我在起草12-B-6 但是 【禁止滥诉】 |
[19:58] | We may have a much bigger problem. | 我们遇到了更大的麻烦 |
[20:00] | Our malpractice carriers says | 我们的执业过失保险公司说 |
[20:02] | we’re covered on negligence claims | 过失损害赔偿属于保险赔付范围 |
[20:03] | but intentional infliction, we’re unarmed. | 但是对于故意施加精神损害 他们不赔付 |
[20:06] | -What? -Excuse me? | -什么 -你说什么 |
[20:07] | They’re calling it a supervising act. | 他们说这是免赔范围 |
[20:09] | They can’t do that. | 他们不能这样做 |
[20:10] | It happened at court, | 事情发生在法庭上 |
[20:11] | we’re getting sued for what happened in court. | 我们因为法庭上的行为遭到起诉 |
[20:12] | All I’m telling you is what they’re telling me. | 我只是在转述他们告诉我的原话 |
[20:14] | So, if we lose, | 所以 如果我们输了 |
[20:15] | it’s 30 million out of your own pockets? | 你们要自掏腰包赔偿3千万? |
[20:17] | I thought this thing would be kicked, | 我以为这个案子法院不会受理 |
[20:18] | that’s what you guys have been saying. | 你们一直都是这么说的 |
[20:19] | The judge should rule today. | 法官今天应该会决定受不受理 |
[20:20] | The sooner, the better. | 越快了结 对我们越有利 |
[20:21] | We don’t need this kind of publicity. | 我们不需要这样的宣传 |
[20:23] | What’s happening with Pearson? | Pearson的案子怎么样 |
[20:24] | Back again today on sentencing, | 今天重新宣判 |
[20:25] | I’d like to stay on it. | 我想还是我来办 |
[20:26] | Oh, she is probably more angry on me now anyway. | 好吧 反正她现在可能对我的意见还要大些 |
[20:29] | Can you keep it under control? | 你能控制住局面吗 |
[20:31] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[20:31] | And on sentencing, don’t be going for manslaughter. | 在宣判的问题上 不要再提非蓄谋杀人了 |
[20:34] | I’d still like to try. | 我还想再试试 |
[20:35] | Lindsay, she denied the motion. | Lindsay 她已经驳回了你的请求 |
[20:37] | I can renew it, | 我可以再申请一次 |
[20:37] | -I would just like her to hear it. -fire with a big cannon here, | -我只想让她听一听 -你这是火上浇油 |
[20:39] | no! | 不行! |
[20:40] | The man is 57, | 他已经57岁了 |
[20:41] | 25 years is like a life sentence anyway. | 25年监禁已经相当于终身监禁了 |
[20:46] | Why don’t let Pearson decide? | 为什么不让Pearson自己决定呢 |
[20:52] | His face came on the televison screen. | 他的脸出现在电视屏幕上 |
[20:55] | It was on the news or something. | 是一个新闻之类的节目 |
[20:56] | -The face of James Parish? -Yes. | -James Parish的脸吗 -是的 |
[20:59] | And what happened, ma’am? | 接着发生了什么呢 女士 |
[21:00] | Danny became very distraught | Danny变得十分焦虑不安 |
[21:02] | and just started crying. | 然后大哭起来 |
[21:04] | and pointing to the television, saying, | 他还指着电视 说 |
[21:06] | there he is. | 就是他 |
[21:08] | that’s the man who killed Cindy. | 就是他杀了Cindy |
[21:10] | Ms. Walsh, | Walsh女士 |
[21:11] | the night after Cindy Harrelson was killed, | Cindy Harrelson被害当晚 |
[21:13] | did you accompany your son Danny | 你是否陪着你的儿子Danny |
[21:15] | to the police lineup? | 到警局指认嫌疑人 |
[21:16] | Yes, I did. | 是的 我去了 |
[21:18] | And was he able to identify the person | 他当时能够指认出杀害 |
[21:20] | who killed Cindy Harrelson? | Cindy Harrelson的凶手吗 |
[21:22] | Yes, | 能 |
[21:22] | he pointed to that man right there. | 他当时就指出来了 就是那个男子 |
[21:26] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[21:28] | That’s all I have. | 我问完了 |
[21:30] | You may step down, Ms. Walsh. | 你可以退下了 Walsh女士 |
[21:31] | Your honor, I would move that | 法官阁下 我请求法庭 |
[21:33] | Ms. Walsh’s entire testimony be stricken | 对Walsh女士的全部证词都予以排除 |
[21:36] | it’s all heresay. | 全都是传闻证据 |
[21:37] | Testimony regarding the police lineup | 关于警方指认的证词 |
[21:39] | is arguably heresay, I admit, | 有可能是传闻证据 我承认 |
[21:42] | but as for what the boy saw on television, | 但是对于男孩在电视上所看到的内容 |
[21:44] | what he then said, | 以及他当时说的话 |
[21:46] | that’s admissible. | 都是可以呈堂的 |
[21:47] | Oh, come on. | 噢 拜托 |
[21:48] | Excited utterances, Ms. Walsh testified | 激动状态下的言辞 Walsh女士作证说 |
[21:51] | that her son was crying and became very distraught | 在电视上看到Parish先生出现的时候 |
[21:54] | upon seeing Mr. Parish’s face on television. | 她儿子大哭起来 而且十分焦虑不安 |
[21:56] | While in that excited state, | 在这样的激动状态下 |
[21:58] | he identified Parish as the killer. | 他指认Parish为杀人凶手 |
[22:00] | This is a legal gamesmanship. | 这是法律诡计 |
[22:02] | Rules of evidence aren’t gamesmanship. | 证据规则并不是诡计 |
[22:04] | The court now has before it admissible testimony | 现在 摆在法庭面前的是可呈堂的证据 |
[22:07] | identifying James Parish as the person | 证明James Parish为杀害 |
[22:10] | who killed Cindy Harrelson. | Cindy Harrelson的凶手 |
[22:11] | She is backdooring heresay, | 她这是在耍花招 想让传闻证据呈堂 |
[22:13] | trying to prevent the boy from taking the stand, | 以此避免那个男孩上庭作证 |
[22:15] | which denies my client the right | 这样就剥夺了我的当事人 |
[22:17] | to confront his accuser. | 与指证他的人当面对质的权利 |
[22:18] | Your honor, the accuser for the purpose | 法官阁下 就今天的听证而言 |
[22:20] | of this hearing is Jannet Walsh. | 指证他的人是Jannet Walsh |
[22:22] | Oh, yeah, right. | 哦 是啊 真的吗 |
[22:28] | I’m finding probable cause. | 本庭裁定正当诉由成立 |
[22:30] | This matter is bound over for trial, | 本案择期开庭审理 |
[22:31] | the defendant will continue to be held without bail. | 被告继续羁押 不得保释 |
[22:37] | You’ll never make this stick, Helen. | 这个案子你赢不了的 Helen |
[22:39] | Something tells me I will. | 我觉得我能赢 |
[22:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[22:43] | This is just probable cause, | 只是过了正当诉由而已 |
[22:44] | we still have a long way to go. | 我们还有很长的路要走 |
[22:46] | I know. | 我知道 |
[22:47] | As it stands now, I’m still not confident. | 即便是现在 我依然不是很有信心 |
[22:49] | You have to know that. | 你必须知道这一点 |
[22:50] | All right. | 好的 |
[23:04] | My feeling is that we already alienated her. | 我感觉 她已经对我们有意见了 |
[23:06] | And do so further, | 如果继续这么做 |
[23:07] | you could be at a life sentence. | 你可能会被判终生监禁 |
[23:09] | But the odds are, | 但是在目前的情况下 |
[23:09] | we’re looking at thirty right now, | 她本来就可能会判30年 |
[23:11] | which could be the equivalent of life. | 实质上跟终生监禁也没什么区别 |
[23:12] | I still think a strong showing contrition is our best… | 我还是认为表现出悔意是最好的… |
[23:14] | Have you read the brief? | 你看过申请书吗 |
[23:14] | Has anybody read the brief? | 到底有没有人看过我的申请书 |
[23:16] | What’s going on here? | 你们这是在搞什么 |
[23:16] | Yeah, we basically put all our trust in you, and… | 对 我们全心全意地信任你们 结果… |
[23:20] | but you are in here figuring like… | 可是你们现在还在这里争论… |
[23:22] | Mrs. Pearson. | Pearson太太 |
[23:22] | -Should we be getting new lawyers? -Meridith. | -我们是不是该换律师了 -Meridith |
[23:24] | Well, you’re facing life inprisonment, | 你有可能被判终身监禁 |
[23:26] | I, I don’t think they know what they’re doing. | 我 我觉得他们根本不知道自己在干什么 |
[23:28] | My god! | 上帝啊 |
[23:29] | They’ve even been threwn in jail cells themselves, | 他们自己都被法官关进了监狱 |
[23:31] | they go from insanity to self-defense | 他们从精神失常到正当防卫 |
[23:34] | to involuntary | 再到意外事件 |
[23:35] | now they can’t agree, | 现在他们不得不承认 |
[23:36] | they don’t know what they’re doing. | 他们根本不知道自己在做什么 |
[23:40] | I think, | 我想 |
[23:43] | I think I agree with Bobby. | 我赞成Bobby的意见 |
[23:46] | We’ve got no one to quit. | 我们没办法减轻罪名 |
[23:48] | Let me make a statement, | 让我自己做个陈述 |
[23:50] | I’ve got a lot of character witnesses. | 我能找到很多品格证人 |
[23:52] | My people at my firm | 我事务所的同事 |
[23:53] | still think I have a shot at twenty. | 依然认为我有可能只判20年 |
[23:59] | So, we’ll play like that. | 所以 我们就这么办吧 |
[24:04] | I know you don’t want to give up. | 我知道你不想放弃 |
[24:07] | But it’s time. | 但是 是时候了 |
[24:22] | This is a big fat cannon worms. | 本案确实提出了一个法律伦理上的难题 |
[24:26] | Allowing lawyers to be sued over strategies | 因为律师在庭上采取的诉讼策略 |
[24:28] | they utilize in court, | 而起诉他们 |
[24:32] | Personal, Mr. Silva, you strike me as every bit | 个人认为 Silva先生 你给我的印象 |
[24:36] | the voucher you described them to be in your complaint. | 完全符合你在诉状中描述的他们的样子 |
[24:38] | But, certainly lawyers do have to be guided by good faith. | 但是 律师的确必须以诚信为原则 |
[24:43] | And Ms. Frutt, | Frutt女士 |
[24:45] | accusing the victim’s brother, | 指控受害人的弟弟 |
[24:47] | I hope you showered after. | 我希望你事后意识到自己的肮脏 |
[24:50] | That being said. | 说完了这些之后 |
[24:51] | I’m denying the plaintiff’s motion to attach property | 本庭驳回原告要求查封财产的申请 |
[24:55] | as for the complaint itself, | 就起诉本身而言 |
[24:56] | I reluctantly admit, | 我很不情愿地承认 |
[24:58] | that it should ultimately be decided by a jury. | 应当交给陪审团来做最终的裁决 |
[25:01] | Defendant’s motion to dismiss denied. | 本庭驳回被告要求不予受理的申请 |
[25:05] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[25:09] | What’s the big mystery? | 什么事这么神秘 |
[25:11] | I’ve thought you’d never be talking to us again | 我还以为你再也不会跟我们说话了 |
[25:12] | -after Ellenor… -I’m not talking, | -自从Ellenor… -我没有跟你说话 |
[25:14] | this conversation never took place. | 现在的谈话从来没有发生过 |
[25:19] | I got a killer by the name of James Parish | 我有个案子的杀人凶手叫James Parish |
[25:21] | in custody, | 现在被羁押 |
[25:22] | my whole case is basically | 我唯一的证据 |
[25:23] | a four-year-old eyewitness. | 基本上就是一个四岁的目击证人 |
[25:25] | I don’t want to put a little boy through a trial, | 我不想让一个小男孩上庭接受交叉质询 |
[25:27] | even if I did, | 即使我这样做了 |
[25:27] | I’d probably have a rough time. | 我的案子仍然没有多大把握 |
[25:30] | Jail house confession, | 如果能取得他在监狱里的供认 |
[25:31] | I’ll do better. | 对我会更有利 |
[25:32] | He is a cocky kid, | 他是个骄傲自大的人 |
[25:33] | my bet he’ll talk. | 我猜他一定会说的 |
[25:35] | What’s all this have to do with me? | 这些跟我有什么关系 |
[25:36] | This is the part of the conversation we never had. | 接下来的话就当我从来没有说过 |
[25:39] | Your client Kevin Peete | 你的当事人Kevin Peete |
[25:41] | currently serving time for first degree. | 已经被判一级谋杀罪名成立 |
[25:43] | Currently awaiting appeal. | 我们正在上诉 |
[25:44] | Which he won’t win. | 上诉没有用的 |
[25:47] | Look, the Parish kid is gonna be put | 是这样 Parish会被安排到 |
[25:49] | into a cell next to Kevin. | Kevin隔壁的牢房里 |
[25:51] | I want Kevin to try to get an incriminating statement. | 我希望Kevin能套出他的有罪供述 |
[25:53] | Both killed yong women, | 他们俩都杀死了年轻女子 |
[25:55] | they should be able to bound. | 应该会聊得来 |
[25:56] | Kevin didn’t kill her and you know it. | Kevin没有杀人 你是知道的 |
[25:57] | As far as the law goes, | 从法律角度而言 |
[25:58] | he did and he is looking at life. | 就是他杀的 而且他会被判终身监禁 |
[26:00] | Get me an admission from the Parish kid, | 帮我弄到Parish的认罪供述 |
[26:03] | I’ll bring a motion to reduce | 我可以提出申请 |
[26:04] | your client’s conviction to second degree. | 请求将你的当事人的罪名减为二级谋杀 |
[26:07] | I’ll agree to 25 years, | 我会同意判25年 |
[26:09] | it’s half his life back. | 这样他的下半辈子就不用在监狱里度过了 |
[26:10] | If Kevin Peete acts as a police agent… | 如果Kevin Peete作为警方的线人… |
[26:12] | He is not going in as a police agent. | 他不是作为警方的线人 |
[26:14] | You and I never had this conversation. | 我们这次谈话从来没有发生过 |
[26:18] | So, basically, | 所以 也就是说 |
[26:21] | you’re asking me to help you | 你是在让我帮你用违宪的方式 |
[26:23] | get an unconstitutional confession? | 弄到有罪供述? |
[26:25] | You want to shave off the life sentence for your client, | 你想帮你的当事人打掉终身监禁 |
[26:27] | I’m giving you an opportunity. | 我现在是在给你一个机会 |
[26:29] | I’m not going to lie to cover you. | 我不会为了帮你而撒谎的 |
[26:30] | I’m not asking you to lie, | 我没有要求你撒谎 |
[26:31] | I’m extending an offer to your client. | 我是给你的当事人提一个交换条件 |
[26:36] | When the verdict was read, | 在陪审团宣判的时候 |
[26:37] | you came over to me and said | 你过来对我说 |
[26:39] | what now, Helen, what now? | 现在怎么办 Helen 怎么办 |
[26:42] | Here I am, what now? | 现在我来问你 怎么办 |
[26:51] | Ok. Round two. | 好了 第二回合 |
[26:55] | I’ll hear from the defense. | 请被告陈述 |
[27:00] | Your honor. | 法官阁下 |
[27:02] | I’d like to make a brief statement. | 我将做一个简短的陈述 |
[27:04] | And I’d like you to hear from | 然后我想请您听听 |
[27:05] | Anderson Pearson himself, | Anderson Pearson自己的陈述 |
[27:06] | followed by three character witnesses. | 最后会有三位品格证人的证言 |
[27:08] | First, let me begin… | 首先 请允许我… |
[27:16] | Ms. Dole? | Dole女士 |
[27:18] | I apologize, your honor. | 抱歉 法官阁下 |
[27:23] | My client has instructed me | 我的当事人要求我 |
[27:24] | to address you on sentencing only | 只针对量刑的问题发表意见 |
[27:27] | but as an officer of the court, | 但是作为一名法律人 |
[27:28] | I feel duty bound to protect the integrity of this process. | 我觉得有责任保护司法程序的公正性 |
[27:31] | And in so far as I feel the prosecution’s refusal | 鉴于检方在诉讼过程中 |
[27:34] | to offer manslaughter in the alternative. | 没有将非蓄谋杀人作为指控的罪名 |
[27:36] | -Your honor. -Ms. Dole! | -法官阁下 -Dole女士 |
[27:37] | And I also know your honor’s | 我也知道法官阁下您 |
[27:39] | unwillingness to reopen this discussion | 不愿意再讨论这个问题 |
[27:41] | but with all due respect, | 但是恕我冒犯 |
[27:42] | I would like to raise this issue here to preserve… | 我想再次提出这一请求 以保护… |
[27:44] | You did raise it, I denied it. | 你已经提出过了 我驳回了 |
[27:47] | -The record… -I’d like to renew it. | -法庭记录… -我想再次提出这一请求 |
[27:49] | I’d ask for ten minutes. | 我只要求给我10分钟 |
[27:51] | That’s all, ten minutes. | 就这么多 10分钟 |
[27:53] | If you conclude that I have wasted the court’s time, | 如果您认为我浪费了法庭的时间 |
[27:55] | I will go right to my cell. | 我马上就自己进监狱 |
[27:57] | You are pushing this court. | 你这是在逼迫法庭 |
[28:00] | I understand that. | 我知道 |
[28:07] | Ten o’clock, tomorrow morning. | 明天上午10点钟 |
[28:09] | Bring your toothbrush. | 把你的牙刷带上 |
[28:14] | -That was completely out of line. -Stop yelling at me. | -你这次太过分了 -别再朝我吼了 |
[28:16] | No, I won’t stop. | 不 我就是要吼你 |
[28:17] | -You’re playing games -I’m careful to | -你这是在拿当事人的 -我很小心地 |
[28:18] | -with your client life. -stay respectful, | -命运来赌博 -保持尊重 |
[28:19] | I don’t think I risked alienate her any more. | 我认为我没有进一步惹恼她 |
[28:20] | What are you doing, Lindsay? | 你在做什么 Lindsay |
[28:21] | What are you doing? | 你这是在做什么 |
[28:22] | We lost it, Bobby, | 我们搞砸了 Bobby |
[28:23] | We lost that man’s case. | 我们搞砸了他的案子 |
[28:25] | -We didn’t lose it, -He was my professor. | -我们没有搞砸 -他是我的教授 |
[28:25] | -your professor did shoot him five times. -I can’t just give up. | -你的教授的确朝他开了五枪 -我不能就这么放弃 |
[28:27] | -He shot him five times. -because it’s the one last chance. | -他朝他开了五枪 -这是他最后的机会了 |
[28:30] | What if she gives him life? | 如果她判他终生监禁呢 |
[28:32] | I kept it under control. | 我今天控制住了局面 |
[28:34] | I will keep it under control tomorrow. | 我明天也会控制住局面的 |
[28:38] | I know what Meridith Pearson | 我知道Meridith Pearson |
[28:41] | said today hurt. | 今天说的话让你很难过 |
[28:44] | but that was an emotional wife. | 但那是她丈夫 她当然会情绪激动 |
[28:50] | Linday, we’ve done everything we can do for this man. | Linday 我们能做的都已经做了 |
[28:54] | He is a good man, | 他是个好人 |
[28:55] | it’s unthinkable for him to live his life out in prison. | 让他下半辈子都在监狱里度过确实难以想象 |
[28:58] | but he did pull that trigger. | 但是他的确扣动了扳机 |
[29:02] | That’s why he is in jail. | 所以他才会坐牢 |
[29:06] | not because of you or me. | 并不是因为你和我 他才坐牢的 |
[29:09] | Something like wear a wire or something? | 是要我戴上窃听器什么的吗 |
[29:11] | No. | 不是 |
[29:12] | You’d be used as a police agent. | 那样你就成了警方的线人 |
[29:14] | which means when you talk to him, | 意味着你跟他谈话的时候 |
[29:16] | it would be interrogation outside of counsel. | 就相当于在没有律师在场的情况下的审讯 |
[29:18] | They don’t want any record of it. | 他们不希望留下任何正式的记录 |
[29:20] | So what happens? | 那我该怎么做 |
[29:22] | They’ll put him in the cell next to you | 他们会把他安排在你隔壁的牢房 |
[29:24] | with the hope that you two talk, | 希望你们能谈谈 |
[29:26] | and let you come up with something | 也许你能从谈话中获取一些 |
[29:27] | they can use against him, | 对他们有利的东西 |
[29:28] | if you do, | 如果你办到了 |
[29:29] | there is a chance you could get out of jail one day, a chance. | 你也许有一天还有可能出狱 只是可能 |
[29:32] | All Helen Gamble can do is make a recommendation | Helen Gamble能够做的 只是提出建议 |
[29:35] | nothing is guaranteed. | 她什么都不能保证 |
[29:39] | Ok, when are they, when are they moving him in? | 好吧 他们…他们什么时候把他关进来 |
[29:41] | I’m told he’ll be there when you get back. | 他们说的是 你待会回去他就已经在那里了 |
[29:43] | But since you’re scheduled for transfer by the end of the week, | 但是由于你这个周末就会被转移到其他监狱 |
[29:47] | you gotta make fast work of it. | 所以你的动作得快点 |
[29:49] | Yeah, ok. | 嗯 好的 |
[29:51] | Kevin, you can’t tell anybody about this conversation | Kevin 你不能跟任何人提起这件事情 |
[29:55] | not even your folks | 连你的父母也不能说 |
[29:56] | because if it comes out, | 因为如果这件事暴露了 |
[29:57] | your testimony is inadmissible, | 你的证词就不能作为证据了 |
[29:59] | then the deal is off. | 那么交易也就取消了 |
[30:01] | Ok. | 好的 |
[30:02] | -We’ll talk tomorrow. -Yeah, ok. | -我们明天再谈 -嗯 好的 |
[30:14] | I couldn’t realy get him to say much. | 我无法让他透露太多 |
[30:17] | What did he say? | 他说了些什么 |
[30:18] | Mainly that they’d never nail him. | 主要内容就是 他们不可能定他的罪 |
[30:19] | You know, is that a lawyer told him | 他说是律师告诉他的 |
[30:21] | all they have is a four-year-old witness. | 检方唯一的证据就是四岁的目击证人 |
[30:22] | Did he ever admit to killing the girl? | 他有承认杀死了那个女孩吗 |
[30:25] | Not exactly. | 没有完全承认 |
[30:27] | Not exactly? | 没有完全承认? |
[30:28] | I said to him, | 我跟他说 |
[30:28] | you did it, didn’t you? | 是你干的 对吧 |
[30:29] | You killd her. | 你杀了她 |
[30:30] | And he sort of smiled a little bit and said nothing. | 他微微一笑 什么都没说 |
[30:33] | And that’s when I said, aren’t you sacred? | 这时我就说 你不害怕吗 |
[30:34] | I told him how there was | 我告诉他 检方在起诉我的时候 |
[30:35] | this public pressure to get me. | 也面临很大的社会压力 |
[30:37] | Now, aren’t you sacred? | 你现在难道不害怕吗 |
[30:38] | They’ll get you. | 他们会给你定罪的 |
[30:39] | And that’s when he said it. | 这时候他就说了那句话 |
[30:41] | They’ll never get me, | 他们永远定不了我的罪 |
[30:42] | not with a four-year-old witness. | 只靠一个四岁的证人是做不到的 |
[30:44] | I need more than that. | 我需要更充分的证据 |
[30:45] | Maybe not. | 也许不需要 |
[30:46] | You got an implied admission. | 他已经间接承认了 |
[30:47] | Kevin said you did it, the parish kid said nothing. | Kevin说”是你干的” Parish没有回答 |
[30:50] | Yeah, but how… | 是的 但是现在… |
[30:50] | Silence in the face of an adverse accusation. | 面对不利指控却保持沉默 |
[30:54] | That’s implied admission of guilt, admissible. | 这就是间接承认犯罪 可以采纳 |
[30:56] | I need something stronger. | 我需要更有力的证据 |
[31:00] | Here is your problem. | 现在的问题是 |
[31:03] | Kevin Peete is scheduled for transfer tomorrow. | Kevin Peete明天就会被转移到其他监狱 |
[31:05] | If suddenly he isn’t transfered and then | 如果突然他又不转移了 |
[31:07] | comes out with the confession of Parish, | 然后出来作证说Parish向他承认犯罪 |
[31:09] | it’s gonna look suspicious. | 这很容易让人怀疑 |
[31:11] | If you then go moving to reduce Kevin Peete’s charge | 如果你再申请减轻Kevin Peete的罪名 |
[31:13] | from first degree to murder two, | 从一级谋杀减为二级谋杀 |
[31:15] | they’ll figure this out. | 他们就会发现是怎么回事 |
[31:16] | It’s dicey enough as it is. | 这样太危险了 |
[31:18] | I say go with what you get now. | 我建议你就用现有的证据来推进 |
[31:20] | The fact that is non-outright confession draws less attention. | 不彻底的认罪 反而不会那么引人怀疑 |
[31:23] | Make your play now. | 赶快行动吧 |
[31:28] | When Anderson Pearson pulled that trigger, | 当Anderson Pearson扣动扳机的时候 |
[31:30] | it wasn’t self-defense. | 并不是正当防卫 |
[31:32] | He shot an unarmed man five times. | 他朝一个没有武器的人开了五枪 |
[31:35] | And when we said we want to argue self-defense, | 当我们说我们想以正当防卫来辩护的时候 |
[31:37] | you quickly said no. | 你马上就否决了 |
[31:38] | Because as a guardian of the court, | 因为作为法庭的守护者 |
[31:40] | you were not about to allow tricky lawyering | 您坚决不能接受律师耍小花招 |
[31:42] | to distort what you knew to be the truth. | 来扭曲您所认为的案件事实 |
[31:45] | And standing before you, I’ll admit, | 站在您面前 我承认 |
[31:48] | we were guilty of exactly what you accused us of, your honor. | 您对我们的批评完全正确 法官阁下 |
[31:52] | We were figuring | 我们当时的打算是 |
[31:52] | Anderson Pearson is a good man, | Anderson Pearson是个好人 |
[31:54] | the defendant is a bad guy. | 被告是个坏人 |
[31:55] | All we had to do is present self-denfese | 我们只需要提出正当防卫这个理由 |
[31:58] | and at least one juror would bite. | 那么至少有一个陪审员会买账 |
[32:01] | You were right. | 您说得对 |
[32:02] | But the prosecution had its own strategy. | 但是 检方也有他们自己的策略 |
[32:05] | They didn’t want charge manslaughter | 他们不愿意指控菲蓄谋杀人 |
[32:07] | because they were figuring | 因为他们估计 |
[32:08] | that same sympathetic jury would choose that | 那个同情被告的陪审团会选择非蓄谋杀人 |
[32:10] | to avoid sending a good man away forever. | 以避免将一个好人永远关进监狱 |
[32:13] | So they boxed him in | 所以他们的指控仅限于 |
[32:14] | with murder one or murder two. | 一级谋杀和二级谋杀 |
[32:16] | These games are played every single day | 在全国各地的法庭上 |
[32:19] | by defense attorneys and prosecutors | 辩护律师和检察官们 |
[32:20] | in courtrooms all across the country. | 每一天都在玩这样的游戏 |
[32:22] | Yes, it’s awful, isn’t it? | 是的 令人厌恶 对吧 |
[32:24] | Except when you win? | 但只要你赢了就无所谓 |
[32:26] | The problem is you let them play their hand, but with us… | 问题是 您允许他们这么做 而对我们… |
[32:29] | Because murder one and murder two were tenable, | 因为一级谋杀和二级谋杀是有依据的 |
[32:31] | self-defense wasn’t. | 正当防卫却没有 |
[32:32] | That’s a finding of fact, not… | 这是对事实问题的裁决 而不是… |
[32:34] | No, it’s a conclusion of law based on the fact. | 不对 这是基于事实而做出的法律结论 |
[32:37] | Your honor, you wouldn’t let us distort the truth, | 法官阁下 您不允许我们扭曲事实 |
[32:40] | you shouldn’t either. | 您也不应该扭曲事实 |
[32:41] | Your ruling was a finding of fact. | 您的裁定是对事实问题做出的结论 |
[32:44] | Should I put on my helmet, | 我需要戴上头盔吗 |
[32:45] | you’re about throw your brief? | 你又要扔你的申请书了吗 |
[32:46] | You shut down self-defense because it wasn’t that. | 您否决正当防卫 因为事实并非如此 |
[32:48] | But this wasn’t murder two either. | 但事实同样不是二级谋杀 |
[32:50] | It was an act in the heat of passion. | 他是在激情状态下发生的行为 |
[32:52] | The man showed up at his door with a dead cat. | 那个男人拿着一只死猫出现在他门口 |
[32:56] | After a month of stalking, | 在跟踪骚扰他一个月之后 |
[32:58] | he arrives at the doorway, | 他出现在他门口 |
[32:59] | throws down the family pet which he had just strangled. | 把他刚刚勒死的宠物猫扔到他面前 |
[33:03] | And Anderson Pearson snapped. | Anderson Pearson突然就情绪失控了 |
[33:07] | It was manslaughter. | 这是非蓄谋杀人 |
[33:08] | So why didn’t you ask for an order | 那你为什么之前不向法庭申请 |
[33:10] | that manslaughter be charged as a less included offense? | 强制增加非蓄谋杀人作为指控的罪名呢 |
[33:14] | I’ll tell you. | 我来告诉你原因 |
[33:15] | You feared | 你跟检方一样 |
[33:16] | just like the prosecutor that if it was available, | 担心如果增加了非蓄谋杀人的指控 |
[33:18] | the jury would opt for it. | 陪审团就会选择判非蓄谋杀人 |
[33:20] | And just like the prosecution, | 所以你们就像检方一样 |
[33:22] | you want to play all or nothing. | 你们想赌全胜或者全败 |
[33:24] | Ask yourself what really happened. | 问问你自己事实究竟是怎么回事 |
[33:26] | Why should I? | 我为什么要问 |
[33:27] | Because that’s what you did. | 因为你心里早就认定了事实是怎样的 |
[33:28] | When we want to go self-defense, | 当我们想打正当防卫的时候 |
[33:30] | you said to yourself what really happened, | 你告诉自己说 事实是怎样怎样的 |
[33:32] | and you took over, | 然后你就直接下了结论 |
[33:33] | fine, do it again. | 好吧 你再下一次结论吧 |
[33:34] | -Counsel! -Forget about poker and games and lawyers. | -律师 -不要再提什么律师的手段 |
[33:37] | Just look at the case | 只要看看案件本身 |
[33:38] | and call it as you see it. | 按照你看到的来下结论 |
[33:40] | You did it in the beginning, | 你从一开始就是这么做的 |
[33:41] | you owe it to Anderson Pearson. | 这是你欠Anderson Pearson的 |
[33:42] | -I don’t owe anybody. -You know what happened. | -我不欠任何人 -你知道事实是怎样的 |
[33:45] | -You know what happened. | 你知道事实是怎样的 |
[33:46] | -You know what happened. -Sit down, Ms. Dole. | -你知道事实是怎样的 -请坐下 Dole女士 |
[33:48] | -You know what happened. -Ms. Dole! | -你知道事实是怎样的 -Dole女士 |
[33:51] | You know what happened. | 你知道事实是怎样的 |
[33:55] | Two milllion. | 两百万 |
[33:56] | We’ll walk away clean. | 我们就撤诉 |
[33:57] | Upfront, nothing is structured. | 立即支付 不接受分期履行 |
[33:59] | We’re not gonna cut you a check, Tommy. | 我们不会给你开支票的 Tommy |
[34:01] | Is that why you’re here? | 你今天来就是为了这个吗 |
[34:02] | Yeah, Ellenor, that’s why I’m here. | 是的 Ellenor 这就是我今天来的目的 |
[34:03] | And here is why you’re gonna consider it. | 而且你必须认真考虑一下 因为 |
[34:05] | I’m willing to drop the deformation. | 我可以撤销关于诽谤的诉请 |
[34:07] | plus the intentional count, | 以及故意施加精神伤害的诉请 |
[34:08] | set everything under negligent claims, | 把所有的赔偿都归于执业过失 |
[34:10] | which means | 这样一来 |
[34:10] | you’d be covered by your policy, | 你们的赔偿全部都属于保险赔付的范围 |
[34:12] | not your money, just your carriers. | 你们自己不用掏钱 让保险公司赔 |
[34:14] | You don’t think they’ll see through that? | 你以为他们看不出来这个把戏吗 |
[34:15] | I’m sure they will. | 我相信他们一定看得出来 |
[34:16] | But my bet is they’ll settle anyway, | 但是我敢说 他们仍然会同意的 |
[34:18] | because the exposure here is too big. | 因为这个案子的风险太大了 |
[34:20] | I can paint a pretty disgusting picture | 我可以在陪审团面前 |
[34:22] | of you guys in front of a jury. | 把你们描绘得十足令人厌恶 |
[34:24] | Team plan B? | 团队B计划是吧 |
[34:28] | Well, in the spirit of a settlement discussion | 好吧 鉴于我们现在是在协商和解的过程中 |
[34:30] | which is of course off the record, | 也就是说我们的谈话是非正式的 |
[34:32] | let me tell you something. | 我来告诉你几个事情 |
[34:33] | We gave it about half thought tops | 我们在决定指控Robin的时候 |
[34:35] | before going after the Robin kid, | 几乎没有任何的犹豫 |
[34:37] | you know why? | 知道为什么吗 |
[34:38] | We don’t like to lose. | 我们不喜欢输 |
[34:39] | We’re every bit as despicable | 你说得完全正确 |
[34:41] | and cut throat as you say, | 我们的确很卑鄙 不择手段 |
[34:42] | which you better think about | 所以你最好想清楚 |
[34:44] | because we’d fight you in the very same way. | 因为我们会用同样的办法来对付你 |
[34:47] | I look forward to that. | 我很乐意奉陪 |
[34:49] | Good. | 很好 |
[34:51] | Because a lawyer sueing another lawyer, | 当律师起诉其他的律师 |
[34:53] | in this town, you’re gonna look like the bad guy. | 在这个城市里 你会被看成是坏人 |
[34:55] | And when we finish with you, Tommy, | 当我们打完这个官司之后 Tommy |
[34:57] | you will be the bad guy. | 你就真成了坏人 |
[34:59] | You forgot to ask what’s gonna happen to you. | 你忘了问一句 你的结局会如何 |
[35:01] | These are your scare tactics? | 这是你的恐吓战术吗 |
[35:03] | Look at our record, Tommy, | 看看我们的纪录 Tommy |
[35:05] | we win. | 我们总是赢 |
[35:07] | And we’ve got no problem getting ugly. | 而且我们并不介意用一些肮脏的手段 |
[35:11] | Now get your ass out of this office | 现在 给我滚出这间办公室 |
[35:12] | and go tell your clients that | 去告诉你的当事人 |
[35:14] | truth is a completely defense to deformation. | 事实真相就是对诽谤最好的抗辩理由 |
[35:16] | You take us to court, | 你把我们告上法庭 |
[35:17] | I promise you we will be screaming | 我保证 我们会在法庭上 |
[35:18] | he is the killer all over again. | 再次反复强调他就是杀人凶手 |
[35:20] | And in the court of public opinion, | 而在公众的眼里 |
[35:22] | he will be the killer. | 他就会被当成杀人凶手 |
[35:25] | You’re still sitting here, Tommy. | 你怎么还坐在这里 Tommy |
[35:27] | Get out. | 出去 |
[35:30] | You are gonna have to do a lot better than that. | 你最好给我一点信得过的理由 |
[35:32] | You really want to roll the dice of first degree? | 你真的想冒被判一级谋杀的风险吗 |
[35:34] | First of all, what did you offer this Peete kid? | 首先 你给了这个Peete什么好处 |
[35:36] | -Was he a plant? -No. | -他是线人吗 -不是 |
[35:37] | -You sent him in to… -He heard what he heard. | -你把他送到… -他自己听到的 |
[35:40] | Then it just happened to come forward, say.. | 然后他就愿意挺身而出 说… |
[35:42] | That’s what snitchers do. | 告密者都是这么干的 |
[35:43] | Michael, they come forward. | Michael 他们自己出来检举的 |
[35:44] | Look, I, I’m sure he’ll be looking for something in return, | 我 我相信他一定会要求给他一些回报 |
[35:47] | I’m sure you’ll use that to impeach him. | 我知道你会以此作为理由来盘问他 |
[35:49] | It doesn’t change the fact your guy is in trouble. | 但是这改变不了你的当事人所处的困境 |
[35:51] | We have an eyewitness. | 我们有目击证人 |
[35:52] | Who is four. | 他只有4岁 |
[35:53] | who is sure of who he saw. | 但是他很确定自己看到的是谁 |
[35:54] | Even when he saw him on TV, he recognized him. | 即使他出现在电视上 他都能认出来 |
[35:57] | Your guy was the victim’s boyfriend. | 你的当事人是受害人的男朋友 |
[36:00] | He threatened her. | 他威胁过她 |
[36:00] | They broke up. | 他们分手了 |
[36:01] | He has no alibi. | 他没有不在场证明 |
[36:02] | Now we have the equivalent | 现在 我们又相当于已经取得了 |
[36:03] | of an admission. | 他的认罪供述 |
[36:05] | Why are you fighting me? | 你为什么还要跟我对着干 |
[36:06] | I’m offering voluntary manslaughter, | 我给你的条件是非蓄谋故意杀人 |
[36:09] | eight years. He could get life. | 八年监禁 他有可能被判终生监禁 |
[36:12] | How could you even think of turning this down? | 你有什么理由居然想拒绝 |
[36:14] | You wouldn’t make the offer | 如果你真这么有把握的话 |
[36:15] | if you are so sure… | 你就不会给出这样的条件 |
[36:15] | I’m offering it to spare | 我给你这样的条件 |
[36:17] | a four-year-old kid from testifying. | 是因为我不想让四岁的孩子上庭作证 |
[36:19] | You should be jumping at this. | 你应该求之不得才对 |
[36:23] | I’ll talk to my client. | 我会跟当事人谈谈的 |
[36:24] | Well, talk quickly coz I’ll tell ya, | 好吧 那就赶快谈 因为我告诉你 |
[36:26] | if even a wave of this gets out, | 如果这事泄露了哪怕一星半点 |
[36:28] | my boss will be in my office to snuff it. | 我的上司马上会来阻止这一切 |
[36:30] | Letting your guy out in eight years | 让你的当事人坐八年牢就出来 |
[36:33] | isn’t good politics. | 在政治上很不好交代 |
[36:57] | Mr. Pearson, I spent the night reviewing | Pearson先生 我花了一晚上的时间 |
[37:01] | the long list of your various achievements. | 审阅你取得的一长串各种各样的成就 |
[37:05] | Right up until you committed murder, | 直到你犯了这次的谋杀罪之前 |
[37:06] | you’re a hell of a guy. | 你确实是一个十分出色的人 |
[37:09] | A noble lawyer even | 甚至可以说是一个高尚的律师 |
[37:11] | who conducted seminars | 你曾经举行研讨会 |
[37:12] | on how to clean up the profession. | 讨论如何提升律师行业的规范 |
[37:16] | I bet you’d have something to say about all the nonsense | 我相信你对于本案当中的一系列可笑之举 |
[37:20] | you’ve seen go on in this room, | 也有自己的话要说 |
[37:22] | however much of it | 尽管这些可笑之举大部分 |
[37:23] | been on your behalf. | 都是为了争取你的利益 |
[37:25] | I realize I did incorporate | 我意识到 我的确让自己 |
[37:28] | my sense of the facts | 对案件事实的判断 |
[37:30] | into some of my pretrial orders, | 干扰了我的某些审前裁决 |
[37:32] | and under the theory that a judge has an obligation | 鉴于法官有义务在审理案件的过程中 |
[37:36] | to at least be consistent. | 至少保持前后一致 |
[37:43] | In the interest of justice, | 为了公正起见 |
[37:44] | I’m reducing the conviction to manslaughter. | 我现在将被告的罪名减为非蓄谋杀人 |
[37:46] | The defendant is sentenced to two years | 判处被告两年监禁 |
[37:49] | in medium security credit for time served. | 在中等警戒度监狱服刑 |
[37:51] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[37:56] | Oh my God. | 噢 天哪 |
[38:26] | Oh, my god. | 噢 天哪 |
[38:30] | Thank you, thank you. | 谢谢 谢谢 |
[38:37] | Thanks for coming in. | 谢谢你们能来 |
[38:41] | It doesn’t measure up to justice, | 这并不完全等于公正 |
[38:43] | Mr. and Mrs. Harrison, | Harrison先生和太太 |
[38:44] | but the boy who killed your daughter | 不过杀害你们女儿的人 |
[38:45] | is going to prison for eight years, | 将会入狱八年 |
[38:47] | no possibility of parole. | 不得假释 |
[38:49] | They just accepted the plea. | 他们刚刚接受了辩诉交易 |
[38:50] | Oh, thank God. | 噢 谢天谢地 |
[38:52] | Well, thank this woman here, without her… | 谢谢这位女士吧 如果不是她… |
[38:54] | We have been thanking her for the last twenty minutes. | 我们已经谢了她20分钟了 |
[38:57] | But something tells me that I should thank you. | 但我还是觉得 我应该谢谢你 |
[39:03] | I wish we could’ve done better, | 我本希望能做得更好的 |
[39:04] | I know your daughter deserved it. | 我知道这是你女儿应得的 |
[39:28] | Lindsay did it. | Lindsay成功了 |
[39:31] | Hiller cut it to manslaughter. | Hiller改判为非蓄谋杀人了 |
[39:33] | -What? -What? | -什么 -什么 |
[39:36] | She did it. | 她成功了 |
[39:38] | Where, where is she now? | 她 她现在在哪儿 |
[39:39] | She was tired and she went home. | 她太累了 先回家了 |
[39:43] | How did things go with Silva? | 跟Silva的案子怎么样了 |
[39:46] | I think he and Ellenor are gonna date. | 我觉得他和Ellenor可能会去约会 |
[39:51] | Bobby, can I have a word in private? | Bobby 能单独跟你说两句吗 |
[39:53] | I promise I won’t touch your hair. | 我保证不摸你的头发 |
[39:56] | What? | 什么事 |
[39:58] | Eugene is depressed. | Eugene情绪很低落 |
[40:00] | He’s been in his office | 他一直呆在自己的办公室里 |
[40:01] | with the door closed. | 门紧紧地关着 |
[40:02] | I go in to reach out myself, but… | 我本来想进去安慰他一下 但是… |
[40:05] | I just don’t think I have established a trust. | 我觉得他并不那么信任我 |
[40:08] | He got a notice to appear before the BAR. | 他接到通知 要到律师协会去接受调查 |
[40:11] | That us do know. | 我们都知道的 |
[40:24] | Silva did this. | 是Silva干的 |
[40:25] | He reported you to the BAR | 他把你举报到律师协会 |
[40:27] | just so he could use it at trial. | 这样他就可以在诉讼中加以利用 |
[40:30] | I know. | 我知道 |
[40:34] | Eugene, it was a group decision | Eugene 在庭上指控那个孩子 |
[40:35] | to go after that kid in court. | 是我们大家集体做出的决定 |
[40:37] | Not yours. | 不是你一个人的 |
[40:39] | Yeah. Team plan B. | 是啊 团队B计划 |
[40:43] | Are you really putting this on yourself? | 你真的要把责任都归在自己身上吗 |
[40:48] | You know what I have been doing the last couple of days, Bobby? | 你知道我这几天都在干什么吗 Bobby |
[40:51] | Conspiring to get an illegal confession to… | 密谋策划取得非法的供述 以便… |
[40:57] | Dirty business, I guess. | 总之是脏活 我觉得 |
[41:04] | Maybe we’re bred to fight a little dirty. | 也许我们生来就注定要用一点肮脏的手段 |
[41:09] | Lindsay got Pearson’s case | Lindsay成功地让Pearson |
[41:10] | reduced to manslaughter. | 改判为非蓄谋杀人了 |
[41:14] | She kept pounding and pounding and pounding | 她不停地争取 争取 再争取 |
[41:17] | when everybody was telling her to stop, | 即使所有人都让她放弃 |
[41:19] | especially me. | 特别是我 |
[41:21] | She wouldn’t. | 她没有放弃 |
[41:24] | George Vogelman was innocent, | George Vogelman是无辜的 |
[41:27] | and you wouldn’t stop either. | 你也同样没有放弃 |
[42:01] | I heard. | 我听说了 |
[42:04] | You cried? | 你哭了吗 |
[42:06] | I don’t remember. | 我不记得了 |
[42:09] | Good day. | 美好的一天 |
[42:10] | Yeah. How was yours? | 是啊 你今天怎么样 |
[42:14] | It went OK too. | 也很顺利 |