时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | You know, that’s easy for you to say, | 你说起来倒是容易 |
[00:03] | it’s not your personal life. | 又不是你的私生活 |
[00:04] | Who’s got a personal life? | 谁还有私生活了 |
[00:05] | Lucy Lucy! | |
[00:06] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[00:08] | Right off. I quit. | 我走还不行吗 我辞职 |
[00:11] | Lucy, we all snipe at each other. | Lucy 我们相互之间说话都很冲 |
[00:12] | The fact that they dish it out to you like everybody else, | 他们以同样的态度对待你 |
[00:14] | that’s just a sign of being accepted. | 正说明他们已经接受你了 |
[00:16] | But I’m not that tough. | 可是我没那么坚强 |
[00:18] | I’m just pushy. | 我只是好管闲事罢了 |
[00:20] | You know, Lindsay, about a month or so ago, | 对了 Lindsay 大约一个月前 |
[00:23] | we exchanged a kiss. | 那个吻 |
[00:24] | Should we talk about it? | 我们是不是应该谈谈 |
[00:25] | Not right now, no. | 现在不是时候 不想 |
[00:27] | This Christmas party, | 这次的圣诞派对 |
[00:29] | are we supposed to bring dates? | 可以带男朋友参加吗 |
[00:30] | Do you have a date? | 你有男朋友了吗 |
[00:33] | Well, no, I haven’t asked anyone. | 哦 还没有呢 |
[00:35] | I was just wondering. | 我只是问问 |
[00:37] | Are you bringing anyone? | 你要带人参加吗 |
[00:39] | No | 不带 |
[00:42] | Merry Christmas. | 圣诞快乐 |
[00:54] | Basically, we’re being victimized | 可以说 在这场大卫与歌利亚的战斗中 |
[00:55] | by the David versus Goliath syndrome. | 我们成了受害者 |
[00:59] | Poor dying man with emphysema, | 可怜的 垂死的肺气肿病人 |
[01:01] | going up against giant asbestos corporation | 挑战巨无霸的石棉公司 |
[01:04] | Well, that’s pretty much how it is, isn’t it? | 不就是大卫跟歌利亚故事的翻版吗 |
[01:06] | Yes, but we’ve decided to fight David, | 是的 所以我们决定用大卫 |
[01:10] | with, well, David. | 来对付大卫 |
[01:12] | Putting it more directly, | 说白了就是 |
[01:13] | we want great lawyers | 我们想找那种看起来并不高端 |
[01:15] | who don’t look corporate, or affluent. | 也不是很有钱的优秀律师 |
[01:17] | Your firm, particularly you, | 你的事务所 特别是你 |
[01:19] | come highly recommended. | 得到了一致的推荐 |
[01:21] | Well, that’s nice to hear. | 非常感谢你的信任 |
[01:22] | We’d be looking for you to handle litigation in Massachusetts, | 我们想请你代理马萨诸塞地区的诉讼事务 |
[01:25] | state and federal. | 包括州一级和联邦一级 |
[01:27] | There are three different class-actions currently pending, | 目前 已经有三个独立的集团诉讼正在进行 |
[01:30] | all in discovery. | 都在证据开示阶段 |
[01:31] | We probably want you to take over, | 如果工作交接顺利的话 |
[01:33] | assuming we can work out the transition. | 我们可能需要你全面接手 |
[01:35] | It would probably mean your having to hire on, | 你可能需要多雇人手 |
[01:38] | but we’re not opposed to the idea | 不过我们也不反对由你来整体监管 |
[01:40] | of supervising other firms. | 转委托给其他事务所 |
[01:42] | Well, I’d have to discuss this with | 我得先跟其他合伙人商量一下 |
[01:44] | my partners before I could even consider it. | 然后我才能考虑接不接这个案子 |
[01:46] | Of course. | 当然 |
[01:47] | Why don’t you do that and get back to me. | 那你就抓紧时间 尽快给我答复 |
[01:49] | Great. | 好的 |
[01:52] | Thank you for seeing me. | 谢谢你了 |
[01:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[02:05] | Who was that guy? | 这家伙是谁 |
[02:06] | Potential new business. | 潜在新客户 |
[02:08] | Why do you look so white? | 你为什么这么快活 |
[02:10] | Is it a lot of new business? | 很大的业务吗 |
[02:12] | You could say that. | 可以这么说 |
[02:14] | Suppose you say it. | 说来听听 |
[02:16] | Maybe, two million a year or so. | 也许 每年两百来万 |
[03:08] | Seaboard Limited? | Seaboard公司? |
[03:10] | Yes. | 对 |
[03:10] | We couldn’t possibly have the manpower | 我们哪里有那么多人手 |
[03:12] | They already know that. | 他们了解 |
[03:13] | They said we could either hire on, | 他们说我们可以招聘人手 |
[03:14] | or supervise other firms to do the work. | 也可以转委托给其他事务所来做 |
[03:17] | Why us? | 为什么找我们 |
[03:18] | They’ve got this new underdog litigation strategy, | 他们想采用一种新的诉讼策略 以弱势博同情 |
[03:21] | and they think I’m the poster lawyer for it. | 他们觉得我是最合适的律师 |
[03:22] | They were asking about Jimmy too. | 他们也想请Jimmy加入 |
[03:24] | I think his beating Silva | 我觉得是因为他打败了Silva |
[03:25] | has caught their eye | 引起了他们的关注 |
[03:26] | because Silva has beaten them. | 因为Silva打败过他们 |
[03:28] | That kind of client changes a firm, | 这种客户会改变整个事务所 |
[03:30] | I’m not sure I’m ready to… | 我不知道我是不是… |
[03:31] | This kind of client builds a firm. | 这种客户将给事务所带来新生 |
[03:33] | If we are serious about expanding in the future | 如果我们真的希望今后能够扩张的话 |
[03:35] | Let’s call a partners meeting and discuss it. | 我们召集一次合伙人会议 讨论一下这个案子 |
[03:39] | Great. | 很好 |
[03:42] | Jerry Green Jerry Green. | |
[03:43] | Second cell on the left. | 左边第二间 |
[03:58] | Jerry Jerry? | |
[04:01] | I think I’m in some trouble, Eugene. | 我这下麻烦大了 Eugene |
[04:10] | Going in or not? | 你到底要不要进去 |
[04:14] | Yeah. | 要 |
[04:24] | What am I gonna do? | 我该怎么办 |
[04:26] | Jerry Jerry | |
[04:29] | When my kids find out | 如果让我的孩子知道了 |
[04:35] | First let’s get you through the arraignment. | 我们首先要处理聆讯的程序 |
[04:38] | Can I go to jail on this? | 我会不会因此而坐牢 |
[04:41] | Well, yes. | 呃 会 |
[04:45] | Is this your first offense? | 这是你第一次犯事吗 |
[04:48] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:48] | Okay. The arraignment is about, | 好吧 离聆讯大概还有 |
[04:51] | twenty minutes, | 二十分钟 |
[04:53] | and we’ll go from there. | 聆讯完了我们再商量 |
[04:59] | 32712, Commonwealth versus EJ Green, | 案号32712 马萨诸塞州诉EJ Green |
[05:02] | solicitation, sexual conduct for a fee. | 卖淫 有偿性行为 |
[05:05] | Eugene Young, waive reading, your Honor, | Eugene Yong 放弃宣读权利 法官阁下 |
[05:07] | plead not guilty, ask for personal. | 无罪辩护 请求自我保释 |
[05:09] | We’d be asking for some bail. | 我们要求提交一定的保释金 |
[05:10] | My client is a respected stockbroker, | 我的当事人是一位资深的股票经济人 |
[05:12] | he’s a partner in Mosley-Bruner, | 他是Mosley-Bruner公司的合伙人 |
[05:14] | he’s got strong roots in the community | 他在本地社区有稳定的社会关系 |
[05:15] | Twenty-five bond, thousand cash. | 二万五千元保释券 一千元现金 |
[05:17] | Trial date? | 开庭时间? |
[05:18] | Your Honor, I think we can dispose of this | 法官阁下 我觉得我们能够在审前达成交易 |
[05:20] | Fine, call the next case please | 那好 下一个案子 |
[05:22] | We’ll post you bond, get you out. | 我们交完保释券后 你就可以出来了 |
[05:24] | What’s with the “EJ”? | 那个”EJ”是怎么回事 |
[05:26] | I know the clerk. | 我认识书记员 |
[05:27] | We put your middle name first, | 我们把你的中名放在最前 |
[05:28] | then we entered it with just initials. | 然后只用第一个字母来称呼你 |
[05:32] | So, what’s the deal? | 你们要什么条件 |
[05:34] | You caught a break. | 算你走运 |
[05:35] | The john was Gilbert Carr | 和他一起被抓的嫖客是Gilbert Carr |
[05:36] | Guy running for DA? | 正在竞选检察长的那位? |
[05:37] | Running for DA against my boss. | 和我的上司竞争检察长职位 |
[05:39] | In exchange for a colorful testimony, | 如果他能提供一份生动的出庭证言 |
[05:41] | we’ll let him go. | 我们可以放过他 |
[05:42] | And by colorful, you mean? | 你所谓的”生动” 是什么意思 |
[05:43] | Detail enough to kill a political career. | 要有足够的细节 足以让他的政治生涯完蛋 |
[05:45] | Ah ha. | 啊哈 |
[05:46] | Probable cause hearing is tomorrow. | 正当诉由听证安排在明天 |
[05:48] | If we get the job done there, | 如果到时候能达到我们的目的 |
[05:49] | your guy gets immunity. | 你的当事人可以得到豁免权 |
[05:50] | Do me a favor. | 帮我个忙 |
[05:51] | If his address is on the record, | 如果案卷中记下了他的地址 |
[05:53] | could you wipe it out? | 你能不能把它抹掉 |
[05:54] | we wanna keep his identity a secret best we can, | 我们希望尽力隐瞒他的真实身份 |
[05:57] | he got kids. | 他有孩子 |
[05:58] | I’ll try. | 我尽量 |
[06:00] | Reportedly Gilbert Carr has denied all charges at this point, | 据报道 Gilbert Carr目前否认所有的指控 |
[06:04] | though there’s no indication yet that | 但是现在还没有迹象显示 |
[06:06] | sex with a prostitute will affect his popularity. | 招妓会影响他在公众当中的声望 |
[06:09] | You see how their eyes light up? | 你有没有看到他们双眼在放光 |
[06:12] | Who? | 谁 |
[06:13] | The reporters. | 这些记者 |
[06:14] | Their eyes light up when they talk about this case. | 他们在报道这个案子的时候简直两眼放光 |
[06:18] | You don’t see their eyes twinkle | 在播天气预报的时候 |
[06:19] | when they give you the weather. | 他们的眼睛可是死气沉沉的 |
[06:21] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[06:26] | Are you a lesbian? | 你是不是拉拉 |
[06:28] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[06:29] | It’s really none of my business, but | 我知道不关我的事 但是 |
[06:31] | I always become kinda close with co-workers eventually, | 我跟同事之间最后总是处得很亲密 |
[06:34] | and I figure, why wait till we get close | 于是我想 没必要等到我们足够亲密 |
[06:35] | when I can ask now? | 现在就可以问 |
[06:37] | The answer to which could bring us closer. | 也许讨论了这个话题之后 我们会变得更加亲密 |
[06:39] | Kinda like speeds our friendship. | 就像加深我们的友谊 |
[06:41] | Are you one? | 你是不是 |
[06:42] | No, are you? | 不是 你呢 |
[06:43] | No, | 不是 |
[06:45] | but I wouldn’t be ashamed if I were. | 但如果我是的话 我不会觉得不好意思 |
[06:50] | You can get back to me on that. | 你随时可以跟我说 |
[06:58] | Where’s Eugene? | Eugene在哪 |
[06:59] | Down at court. | 去法院了 |
[07:00] | He said start without him. | 他说不用等他 |
[07:01] | Okay. | 好的 |
[07:03] | I think everybody is up to speed. | 我想大家都了解情况了 |
[07:06] | The big question is, | 最大的问题是 |
[07:07] | should we hire and | 我们是应该扩大招聘 |
[07:08] | build a litigation department internally, | 在内部建立一个专门的诉讼部 |
[07:10] | which businesswise makes the most sense, | 从经济的角度考虑 这样比较合理 |
[07:12] | or do we wanna hire outside firms and supervise, | 还是转委托给外部的事务所 由我们来监管 |
[07:14] | which may make the most practical sense | 这个方案更具有可操作性 |
[07:16] | but it means, fee splitting. | 但是会分一部分律师费出去 |
[07:18] | My recommendation is that we start that way, | 我的建议是 先采用第二个方案 |
[07:20] | and then we expand internally so eventually | 然后在诉讼的过程中逐步扩充人手 |
[07:23] | we can do all the work in house. | 最后我们就可以全部自己来做 |
[07:24] | My recommendation is that we don’t take this client at all. | 我的建议是 我们不能接这个案子 |
[07:28] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[07:30] | Ellenor, it’s asbestos defense work! | Ellenor 这是帮石棉公司打官司 |
[07:32] | So? | 所以呢 |
[07:32] | So, do we really wanna do that? | 所以 我们真的想接这个案子吗 |
[07:34] | I mean this company killed a lot of innocent people, | 要知道 这家公司害死了很多无辜的人 |
[07:36] | I’m not crazy about representing… | 我可不想代理他们的… |
[07:37] | You’re kidding me, right? | 你是在开玩笑吧 |
[07:38] | No, I’m not kidding. | 不 我没有开玩笑 |
[07:39] | We represent murderers, why would you… | 我们可以为谋杀犯辩护 你为什么… |
[07:41] | Not to keep them in business as murderers | 不是为了让他们继续从事谋杀这个行当 |
[07:43] | Oh, please | 哦 算了吧 |
[07:44] | I have to admit, Ellenor, I… | 我得承认 Ellenor 我… |
[07:46] | Okay, wait a minute, just hold on. | 等等 慢着 |
[07:48] | We are not talking about corporate criminals here. | 我们要接的这个案子又不是集团犯罪 |
[07:51] | Asbestos is not like cigarette companies | 石棉公司也不像烟草公司那样 |
[07:53] | who knowingly put out products that kill. | 故意地推出会危害生命的产品 |
[07:56] | Nobody knew this stuff was dangerous | 石棉刚开始投入使用的时候 |
[07:57] | when it was first installed | 没有人知道它会危害健康 |
[07:58] | That’s debatable. | 这是个抗辩理由 |
[08:00] | But even so we all know | 但是即便如此 我们都知道 |
[08:00] | the defense strategy they employ, | 他们会采用什么样的诉讼策略 |
[08:03] | delay, delay, delay, | 拖延 拖延 拖延 |
[08:04] | till one of the weasels either stops breathing, | 一直拖到受害者死去 |
[08:06] | or they settle for ten cents of a dollar | 或者以很低的条件接收和解 |
[08:07] | cos they’re about to stop breathing. | 因为他们即将死去 |
[08:09] | You don’t know that! | 不是这样的 |
[08:09] | -Hello? -Come on, Ellenor, | -真的吗 -你想想 Ellenor |
[08:11] | they still contest liability! | 他们到现在都不承认自己有责任 |
[08:12] | So do all our clients. | 我们的客户不都是这样的吗 |
[08:13] | Even the ones who shoot people five times. | 即使是那些对人连开五枪的客户 |
[08:15] | And the ones who cut off people’s heads. | 还有那些杀人砍头的客户 |
[08:17] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[08:18] | Do you have any idea how much money we’re talking about? | 你们知道这个案子我们可以收多少律师费吗 |
[08:21] | Problem is, it would consume us. | 问题是 我们会被焊在这个案子上 |
[08:23] | This is massive product liability, | 这是个大规模的产品责任诉讼 |
[08:25] | we’d completely dominate | 会完全主导我们… |
[08:26] | I don’t get this Lindsay. | 我不明白 Lindsay |
[08:27] | You’re the one who wants to shift into civil away from criminal. | 你不就是想从刑事律师转型为民事律师吗 |
[08:30] | This is your dream client | 这就是你最理想的客户 |
[08:31] | -Not asbestos. -Okay, wait a second here. | -我不要石棉公司 -好吧 等一等 |
[08:33] | Have we suddenly adopted a moral criteria | 难道我们突然开始用道德标准 |
[08:35] | for accepting new business because if so, | 来判断接不接新业务了吗 |
[08:37] | because if so, nobody told me. | 怎么也没人告诉我一声呢 |
[08:39] | Don’t get snide | 你不要冷嘲热讽 |
[08:39] | I will get snide! | 我冷嘲热讽怎么了 |
[08:41] | The company has killed people! | 这家公司的产品造成人们死亡 |
[08:42] | The only difference between them | 他们跟我们一半的其他客户之间 |
[08:44] | and half our other clients is that | 唯一的区别就是 |
[08:45] | this one didn’t intend to kill anybody, | 他们从来没有故意地想要杀人 |
[08:47] | and they’re willing to pay us twenty times | 而且他们愿意支付20倍的费用 |
[08:48] | the amount to defend them! | 聘请我们代理他们的案子 |
[08:49] | There’s no way we could manage this! It’s… | 我们绝对做不下来这个案子 这个案子… |
[08:51] | Is that the issue? | 是因为这个障碍吗 |
[08:52] | Whether or not we could manage this? | 我们做不做得下来这个案子? |
[08:54] | Because that is different than the morality objection. | 这跟刚才的道德障碍又不一样了 |
[08:57] | The management issue doesn’t fall under hypocrisy | 能力上的障碍至少不那么虚伪 |
[08:59] | Hey, bite me. | 嘿 你咬我啊 |
[09:00] | Alright! | 好了 |
[09:00] | Look, I think we should have | 我觉得 我们应该召集一次 |
[09:02] | a full partnership meeting, with Eugene, | 全体合伙人参加的会议 包括Eugene |
[09:03] | there’s a lot to consider here. | 要考虑的问题很多 |
[09:05] | This is a no-brainer! What is stopping you? | 有什么需要考虑的 你觉得障碍在哪里 |
[09:08] | Some of us have brains. | 有些人还是有头脑的 |
[09:10] | Excuse me? | 你说什么呢 |
[09:12] | Come on! Let’s just table it for now, | 这样吧 这个事情暂时搁置一下 |
[09:14] | we’ll talk about it later. | 我们以后再讨论 |
[09:23] | Bitch. | 贱人 |
[09:39] | Helen, hey. | Helen 嗨 |
[09:42] | Scott Scott. | |
[09:43] | Can I come in a second? | 我可以进来一会吗 |
[09:45] | Somebody dead? | 谁死掉了吗 |
[09:46] | I just came by to see your new place. | 我正好经过这里 来看看你的新房子 |
[09:49] | Right. | 是吗 |
[09:51] | Nice. | 很不错 |
[09:53] | The Gilbert Carr case | Gilbert Carr的案子 |
[09:54] | Scott, I’m not sure | Scott 我想你还没有见过 |
[09:55] | if you’ve met my roommate Lindsay Dole | 我的室友Lindsay Dole |
[09:56] | from Donnell, Young, Dole and Frutt, | 她是Donnell Young Dole和Frutt事务所的律师 |
[09:58] | Eugene Young’s firm, | Eugene Young的事务所 |
[09:59] | the lawyer repping Jerry Green. | Jerry Green的辩护律师 |
[10:01] | Oh, hi. | 哦 嗨 |
[10:04] | Well, if that isn’t a hint to beat it | 你们两个大概有事情要谈 |
[10:06] | I’ll be in my room. | 我回房间了 |
[10:13] | I’m a little embarrassed to be making this call, | 我有点不好意思提这个要求 |
[10:15] | though primaries are a ways off, but… | 我也不想这样 但是… |
[10:18] | But what? | 但是什么 |
[10:20] | It’s important that people remember | 我需要让人们记住Gilbert Carr的丑闻 |
[10:21] | Gilbert Carr’s little incident. | 这一点非常重要 |
[10:24] | Oh, okay, | 哦 原来如此 |
[10:25] | you’re here to ask me to do something | 你到这里来是想叫我为了你的政治利益 |
[10:28] | disgusting for political gain. | 干一点令人厌恶的事情 |
[10:29] | Alright, let’s hear it. | 好吧 我洗耳恭听 |
[10:32] | You can’t just establish probable cause and sit, | 你不能只是证明正当诉由就算了 |
[10:35] | you gotta get out some of the graphic details. | 你得在法庭上提供非常丰富的细节 |
[10:37] | You want me to Kenneth Starr Jerry Green. | 你是要我充分利用Jerry Green |
[10:40] | In which case we drop on him. | 然后我们就撤销对他的指控 |
[10:42] | It’s in his own interest. | 这也符合他自己的利益 |
[10:44] | Yes, how lucky that he has you. | 是啊 碰到你算他走运 |
[10:46] | Like I said, I don’t enjoy coming here to tell you… | 我说过了 我也不想跑来告诉你… |
[10:49] | But here you are. | 可你毕竟是来了 |
[10:51] | Could you excuse me? I need to shower. | 如果你不介意的话 我要去洗澡了 |
[11:09] | You’re looking at me. | 你一直在盯着我看 |
[11:11] | Mine zipped? | 想通了吗 |
[11:13] | Why did you ask me if I was, | 你为什么问我是不是… |
[11:16] | you know, a lesbian. | 那个… 拉拉 |
[11:22] | Truth? | 真话? |
[11:23] | No Lucy, lie. | 难道我想听假话吗 |
[11:24] | You can tell the truth when we’re close. | 既然我们很亲密 你可以跟我说实话 |
[11:26] | I was just curious. | 我只是有点好奇 |
[11:27] | You got no guy in your life | 你有那么性感的翘臀 |
[11:29] | with a rump like yours | 可是生活中却没有男人 |
[11:30] | Plus, the crop-cut butchy-doo hair, | 还有 你那一看就是女同性恋的平头 |
[11:32] | I mean it looks good, but… | 我是说还蛮好看 但是… |
[11:34] | I have butchy-doo hair | 你说我是同性恋的发型? |
[11:37] | It was just a question, Rebecca. | 我只是问问而已 Rebecca |
[11:39] | Hey, some of my best friends are lesbians. | 真的 我有几个最好的朋友都是拉拉 |
[11:41] | Today it’s almost the thing to be. | 如今很流行的 |
[11:44] | Well I’m not one, | 可惜 我不是 |
[11:45] | thank you very much. | 谢谢关心 |
[11:47] | You don’t have to deny it on principle. | 你用不着极力地否认 |
[11:51] | Donnell, Young and Frutt. | Donnell Young和Frutt事务所 |
[11:52] | and Dole. | 还有Dole |
[11:53] | Yes, Dole, that name’s been moving up around here. | 对了 Dole 这个名字可是这里的大人物 |
[11:56] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[11:57] | Never mind. | 没什么 |
[11:57] | No, forget never mind, | 说清楚 怎么没什么 |
[11:58] | what’s that supposed to mean? | 你什么意思 |
[11:59] | They’re gonna fight again | 她们又要打起来了 |
[12:00] | -Lucy -Lucy -Lucy -Lucy | |
[12:02] | What’s your problem Ellenor? | 你是怎么回事 Ellenor |
[12:03] | My problem? | 我怎么回事? |
[12:03] | Yes, your problem. | 对 你怎么回事 |
[12:04] | Besides me, do you have a legitimate problem? | 你是不是该想想 你自己是怎么回事 |
[12:06] | Alright, cut it out! | 好了 别吵了 |
[12:08] | God, you guys are both acting like kids. | 老天 你们俩怎么像小孩子一样 |
[12:10] | Cut it out! | 别吵了 |
[12:14] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了 |
[12:23] | In open court? | 在法庭上? |
[12:24] | Yes. | 对 |
[12:25] | It’ll be public record. | 那样会成为公开的记录 |
[12:26] | It’s public record now. | 现在已经是公开的记录了 |
[12:28] | Jerry, if we don’t agree, | Jerry 如果我们不答应 |
[12:29] | you could go to trial yourself | 那你自己也会出庭受审 |
[12:31] | and you could get convicted. | 而且还会被定罪 |
[12:33] | Now, what they’re offering, | 按他们现在提供的条件 |
[12:34] | you have a clean slate at the end of the day. | 你毕竟不会留下犯罪的记录 |
[12:37] | And they’ll conceal my name. | 他们会对我的姓名保密吗 |
[12:39] | First and middle initials | 用首字母缩写代替你的前名和中名 |
[12:40] | is the best we can do. | 只能做到这样了 |
[12:42] | You could testify in, | 你作证的方式可以是 |
[12:46] | incognito. | 匿名的 |
[12:47] | You mean, incognito, | 你说的匿名 |
[12:50] | like I was arrested, incognito. | 就像我被逮捕时候一样的匿名吗 |
[12:53] | Let’s not kid ourselves. | 不要抱不切实际的幻想 |
[12:55] | The likelihood is, this is gonna get out. | 很可能 这件事情会被曝光 |
[12:58] | But, but maybe there’s a chance, you know, | 但是 但是也许有可能 |
[13:00] | I mean, I didn’t recognize you in the cell | 我是说 我在看守所就没认出你来 |
[13:01] | and I’ve known you for twenty years! | 虽然我已经认识你二十年了 |
[13:03] | Testify in drag. | 穿着那身衣服作证 |
[13:05] | I’m not saying that it’s the right way to go | 我并不是说应该这么做 |
[13:08] | but | 可是 |
[13:10] | I don’t know | 我不知道 |
[13:15] | -You haven’t even asked me if… -I don’t need to know | -你根本就没有问过我… -我不需要知道 |
[13:17] | I need you to know. | 我想让你知道 |
[13:23] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[13:27] | I like wearing the clothes. | 我喜欢穿那些衣服 |
[13:30] | Going out, wearing the clothes, | 穿上那些衣服 出门 |
[13:32] | but I am not gay, | 但我不是同性恋 |
[13:34] | and I have never… | 我也从来没有… |
[13:36] | I, I just, I just would go out, wear the clothes. | 我 我只是 我只是穿着那身衣服出门去 |
[13:38] | I, I’ve never performed a sexual act on a man, | 我 我从来没有跟男人发生过性行为 |
[13:42] | I’ve never solicited anybody | 我从来没有卖淫 |
[13:47] | I am not a male prostitute. | 我不是男妓 |
[13:49] | Then why did you go in a room with Gilbert Carr? | 那你怎么会和Gilbert Carr同处一室 |
[13:53] | He came up to me, | 他来找我的 |
[13:56] | said he wanted to look at me while, while he… | 他说他想一边看着我 一边… |
[14:04] | said he wanted me to talk to him, | 他说他想跟我说说话 |
[14:06] | but I wouldn’t have to touch him or anything | 但是我用不着摸他什么的 |
[14:11] | I don’t know why I said yes, I don’t know | 我也不知道我为什么答应了 我不知道 |
[14:15] | I like, I like to be looked at in the clothes | 我喜欢 我喜欢别人看我穿着那身衣服 |
[14:22] | I’m not a male hooker. | 我不是男妓 |
[14:28] | I think we should cut the deal. | 我觉得应该答应他们的条件 |
[14:35] | First I… | 首先我… |
[14:38] | I gotta talk to my wife. | 我得先跟我妻子谈谈 |
[14:43] | When you defend a cigarette company, | 如果你为烟草公司辩护 |
[14:44] | you help them to go on making them. | 你其实是在帮他们继续制造香烟 |
[14:46] | On principle, I would never do that, | 以我的原则 我肯定不会接这样的案子 |
[14:48] | I totally get it. | 我完全明白 |
[14:49] | But with asbestos | 但是对石棉公司来说 |
[14:50] | they’re not still putting that stuff out there, | 他们并没有继续卖那些产品 |
[14:53] | it’s representing somebody for something they did in the past. | 我们是在为已经过去的行为辩护 |
[14:55] | It’s exactly what we do with our criminal cases. | 这跟我们在刑事案件中所做的完全一样啊 |
[14:57] | Yes, with a couple of very big exceptions. | 是的 但还是有几个重大的差别 |
[14:59] | First, in criminal cases, | 第一 在刑事案件中 |
[15:00] | you’re not just defending a client, | 你不仅仅是在为当事人辩护 |
[15:02] | you’re playing a role in the system, | 你是整个体系的一个环节 |
[15:03] | you’re safeguarding the Constitution | 你是在捍卫宪法 |
[15:04] | Okay, this is a brand new conference table, | 真的吗 这是张崭新的会议桌 |
[15:06] | please don’t make me puke on it. | 求你不要让我吐在上面 |
[15:08] | Are you the only one who gets to talk? | 是不是只准你一个人说话 |
[15:10] | There is a principle at work in criminal law, | 在刑事法律中 确实有一个原则问题 |
[15:12] | I know you know that. | 我相信你也明白 |
[15:13] | There’s no such purpose going on in asbestos defense work. | 为石棉公司辩护 却没有这样的目标 |
[15:17] | And the defense itself victimizes people, | 而且辩护本身也会伤害其他人 |
[15:18] | its stall tactics against people | 他们采取的拖延战术 |
[15:20] | who have suffered real injuries. | 会伤害那些真正遭受痛苦的人 |
[15:21] | That’s true in any defense work. | 所有的案子都会有这个问题 |
[15:23] | Every product-liability defense is drag and stall, | 所有的产品责任诉讼的策略都是拖延 |
[15:26] | we are right back to hypocrisy. | 我们又来这一套虚伪的说辞 |
[15:30] | Are we ready to declare right now | 我们是不是要正式宣布 |
[15:31] | that we will never represent defendants | 从现在开始 |
[15:33] | in product-liability cases? | 我们绝不接产品责任诉讼 |
[15:35] | You really wanna be an asbestos lawyer? | 你真的想做个石棉案的律师吗 |
[15:37] | This is one client, | 只是一个客户而已 |
[15:39] | a very big paying client, | 一个愿意付钱的大客户 |
[15:41] | that maybe will help subsidize us | 也许通过这个客户支付的费用 |
[15:43] | is defending more of our worthy causes. | 我们能够从事更多有意义的工作 |
[15:46] | Now you sound like a congressman. | 你听起来像个国会议员似的 |
[15:47] | – Lindsay – Alright. | – Lindsay – 好了 |
[15:48] | We’ve hatched this out long enough, | 我们已经讨论得够多了 |
[15:50] | why don’t we vote. | 开始投票吧 |
[15:51] | Hold on, | 等等 |
[15:51] | I think everybody’s biggest worry is | 我觉得 你们大家最大的担心是 |
[15:53] | that this work will consume us. | 我们会被焊在这个案子上 |
[15:55] | So here’s the trade-off: | 所以我有个建议 |
[15:56] | we take the client | 我们把案子接下来 |
[15:57] | and I will farm out all of the work to other firms. | 然后我来把案子全部转委托给其他事务所 |
[16:00] | But you’re the one they wanna try the cases, | 但是他们找你就是想让你来办这个案子 |
[16:02] | isn’t that the point? | 他们肯接受吗 |
[16:03] | I can supervise all of the discovery | 我可以负责监管全部的证据开示 |
[16:05] | and then we get to fee-split. | 然后协商分配律师费 |
[16:07] | See, none of you will ever even have to look at a file. | 这样一来 你们连案卷都用不着看一眼 |
[16:12] | All in favor. | 赞成的 |
[16:15] | I guess I can go with that. | 我可以接受这个方案 |
[16:17] | All right. | 我也同意 |
[16:18] | Against? | 反对的 |
[16:22] | That’s three to three, | 三比三 |
[16:23] | I decide tie-breakers, | 平局的情况下 由我最终决定 |
[16:25] | we reject the client. | 我们不接这个案子 |
[16:30] | One of the things about being a partner | 作为合伙人的基本职责之一 |
[16:32] | is you get to bring in clients. | 就是你要带业务进来 |
[16:34] | Subject to a partnership vote. | 前提是通过合伙人投票 |
[16:40] | Eugene, Gilbert Carr’s lawyer is here. | Eugene Gilbert Carr的律师来了 |
[16:42] | He wants to talk. | 他想跟你谈谈 |
[16:43] | I showed him into your office. | 我带他去你的办公室了 |
[16:50] | I was hoping, in addition to introducing myself, | 我希望 在自我介绍之后 |
[16:52] | we might agree to coordinate our respective defenses | 我们也许可以在辩护策略上相互配合 |
[16:55] | Let me stop you. | 我不得不打断你 |
[16:56] | We’ve been approached by the DA, | 检察官已经跟我们接触过了 |
[16:57] | this seems to be an occasion | 看起来 他们的想法是 |
[16:59] | where they’d like the jane to flip the john, so… | 希望我的当事人指证你的当事人 所以… |
[17:01] | That would be politics. | 这是政治干预 |
[17:04] | This I know, | 我明白 |
[17:05] | but since the politics run in my client’s favor | 但是既然政治干预对我的当事人有利 |
[17:08] | I won’t presume to tell you what to do, | 我知道没有资格告诉你该怎么做 |
[17:10] | but what happened in that room, | 但是在那个房间里究竟发生了什么事 |
[17:12] | the police can’t prove. | 警方没有办法证明 |
[17:15] | They were followed up, | 他们一直被跟踪 |
[17:16] | six hundred bucks on the table, | 桌子上有六百元现金 |
[17:17] | and your client had his pants down. | 你的当事人脱掉了裤子 |
[17:20] | None of which constitutes a crime. | 这些全都不构成犯罪 |
[17:21] | They can’t get a conviction without | 除非两个被告之一主动坦白 |
[17:23] | the cooperation of one of the defendants. | 他们没法定罪 |
[17:25] | This may be true, | 也许你说得对 |
[17:26] | but why risk it, | 但是既然我们已经得到了豁免权 |
[17:27] | we’re being offered immunity. | 有什么必要冒这个风险呢 |
[17:30] | Immunity from criminal prosecution. | 你的豁免权只是免于刑事检控 |
[17:33] | The court of public opinion might be less forgiving. | 但是公众舆论可不会饶过你 |
[17:37] | Meaning? | 什么意思 |
[17:38] | Gilbert Carr’s running for district attorney. | Gilbert Carr在竞选地区检察官 |
[17:40] | A prosecution against him comes with a big microscope, | 针对他的检控必然引起媒体的刨根问底 |
[17:42] | – anybody who falls under it – Is that a threat? | – 与此有关的任何人… – 你是在威胁我吗 |
[17:44] | All I’m saying is, | 我要说的只是 |
[17:45] | there’s no need to turn this into a spectacle. | 这个案子没必要闹得满城风雨 |
[17:47] | I believe in time I can make the whole matter dissipate. | 我相信 我能够把整个案子都打回去 |
[17:50] | But if your client takes the stand | 但是如果今天下午的正当诉由听证会上 |
[17:51] | this afternoon at the probable cause hearing, | 你的当事人出来作证 |
[17:54] | I’m sure you can appreciate | 我别无选择 只能竭尽全力 |
[17:55] | that I have no choice | 动摇你的当事人的信誉 |
[17:56] | but to use my best efforts to discredit him. | 我相信你能理解我的难处 |
[17:58] | What are you going to do? | 你准备怎么做 |
[18:00] | Get him to admit on the stand | 逼他在证人席上承认 |
[18:01] | that instead of your basic transvestite, | 他其实并不是一个异装癖 |
[18:03] | he’s actually a respected stockbroker? | 而是个令人尊敬的股票经纪人? |
[18:05] | That won’t discredit him, | 这可动摇不了他的信誉 |
[18:06] | if anything it makes him more believable. | 如果有用的话 只会增加他的可信度 |
[18:08] | I could ask him his real name. | 我可以问他的真名是什么 |
[18:12] | Let me do you a favor | 算我帮你个忙 |
[18:13] | and tell you something about Jerry Green. | 我来告诉你一些关于Jerry Green的情况 |
[18:15] | He’s a decent guy and as of right now | 他是个不错的人 到现在为止 |
[18:17] | he has no real interest in hurting your client. | 他并不想伤害你的当事人 |
[18:19] | But cross him, sexual proclivities aside, | 但如果你盘问他 尽管他有特殊的性癖好 |
[18:22] | he’s one of the most principled people I know. | 他是我认识的最坚守原则的人之一 |
[18:24] | And extortion isn’t something he’d warm up to. | 敲诈勒索对他不管用 |
[18:28] | Do you know the stakes here, counsel? | 你知道这个案子的风险吗 律师 |
[18:32] | Do me a favor, Mr. Cavrin. | 帮我个忙 Cavrin先生 |
[18:34] | When the DA passes the witness, | 当检察官传唤证人作证的时候 |
[18:37] | don’t get up. | 你别站出来 |
[18:49] | I will get up, Mr. Young. | 我会站出来的 Young先生 |
[18:53] | You hurt my client, I’ll bury yours. | 你伤害我的当事人 我会让你的当事人完蛋 |
[19:06] | We have an angry Ellenor. | Ellenor非常生气 |
[19:08] | I’ll talk to her | 我会跟她谈的 |
[19:09] | Right now, I’m leaving for a settlement conference. | 现在 我要赶去参加一个和解的谈判 |
[19:11] | Bobby, that vote. | Bobby 这次的投票 |
[19:14] | You getting two votes, okay, | 你有两票 没问题 |
[19:15] | but you also getting to be tie breaker | 但是在平局的情况下 又是你做最终决定 |
[19:17] | It’s in the partnership agreement, Rebecca. | 合伙协议里面就是这么写的 Rebecca |
[19:19] | Maybe so, | 也许是 |
[19:20] | but this alliance with Lindsay isn’t. | 但是合伙协议里面可没写你跟Lindsay的联盟 |
[19:23] | What? | 什么 |
[19:24] | You two being a couple, I think it’s great. | 你们俩成了一对 我觉得很好 |
[19:27] | But it also sets up kind of a power base | 但是这样一来 你们就把控了事务所的权力 |
[19:29] | Lindsay’s free to vote her way, | Lindsay可以按她自己的意思投票 |
[19:30] | and I’ll vote mine. | 我也是按我的想法投票 |
[19:31] | Well then maybe the problem is a perceived one, | 那么 也许这个问题只是大家想象出来的 |
[19:33] | but it’s still a problem. | 但仍然是个问题 |
[19:35] | With Eugene as well as Ellenor. | 不光是Ellenor 还有Eugene |
[19:39] | And you? | 那你呢 |
[19:40] | Bobby Bobby, | |
[19:42] | I’m just telling you | 我跟你说这些 |
[19:43] | cos I think you should know what’s going on. | 是因为我觉得你有必要了解身边发生了什么事 |
[19:47] | Okay, | 好的 |
[19:48] | thanks. | 谢谢 |
[19:51] | Can I ask you something? | 可不可以问你个事情 |
[19:52] | I mean, I know you have to rush off, but… | 我知道 我知道你赶时间 可是… |
[19:54] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了 |
[19:55] | Well, nothing, I mean | 呃 没事 我是说 |
[19:58] | do people think I’m gay? | 人们是不是以为我是同性恋 |
[20:01] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[20:02] | Lucy wondered if I’m a lesbian, | Lucy问我是不是拉拉 |
[20:04] | because of my haircut, | 因为我的发型 |
[20:06] | and how I dress, | 还有我的穿着 |
[20:07] | I don’t know | 我不知道 |
[20:07] | And you took her seriously. | 你还把她的话当真了 |
[20:08] | No, but well, | 没有 可是 |
[20:09] | I started thinking, you know, | 我自己后来在想 |
[20:11] | I can’t remember the last time when a guy asked me out, | 我都不记得上次有人约我出去是什么时候了 |
[20:14] | any guy asked me out, | 太久没有人约我出去了 |
[20:15] | and I mean know I’d be beautiful, | 我知道我不是什么美女 |
[20:17] | but I’m not bad, | 可是我也不太丑吧 |
[20:19] | am I bad? | 我很丑吗 |
[20:20] | Rebecca, you are beautiful, | Rebecca 你很漂亮 |
[20:22] | are you kidding me? | 你别这么谦虚嘛 |
[20:23] | Do I look like a butcher or something? | 我是不是看起来像个杀猪的还是怎么着 |
[20:25] | Rebecca Rebecca | |
[20:26] | Then how come I don’t get asked out? | 那为什么就是没人约我出去呢 |
[20:28] | Because you never leave this place, that’s why. | 因为你一直都宅在办公室 所以没人约你 |
[20:30] | Listen, can we talk about this later? | 我得走了 我们以后再说好吗 |
[20:31] | Oh no, forget about it | 哦 算了 就当我没问过 |
[20:33] | No, I won’t forget it. | 不行 我不能当你没问过 |
[20:34] | We’ll talk later? | 我们以后再谈? |
[20:35] | Yeah. | 好 |
[20:39] | He’s gonna go drag? | 他要穿着那身衣服作证? |
[20:40] | Well, anything to reduce the chance of him getting recognized. | 我们想用各种办法 尽可能避免他被认出来 |
[20:43] | Eugene, I’m willing to go initials, | Eugene 我同意用缩写代替全名 |
[20:45] | and no address and all, | 也不会披露他的住址 |
[20:47] | but come on, let’s face it. | 可是 你得面对现实 |
[20:48] | The whole idea from our side is publicity! | 我们这边最主要的意图就是尽量公开 |
[20:51] | To embarrass Carr, not Jerry. | 为了羞辱Carr 而不是Jerry |
[20:52] | Even so, I mean, | 话虽如此 我是说 |
[20:54] | Are you being realistic about | 你觉得隐瞒他的真实身份 |
[20:55] | -preserving this guy’s identity? -Maybe not! | -这个想法现实吗 -也许不现实 |
[21:01] | How long you known him? | 你认识他多久了 |
[21:04] | We played high school ball together. | 我们高中时就在一起打球 |
[21:06] | He’s a good man. | 他是个好人 |
[21:10] | I’ll try to keep it short. | 我会尽量简短一点 |
[21:19] | Susan Susan? | |
[21:23] | Hey, Eugene. | 嗨 Eugene |
[21:25] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[21:27] | Where is he? | 他在哪儿 |
[21:29] | He said he’d be coming in with you. | 他说他会跟你一起来 |
[21:31] | We brought him back. | 他一会就来 |
[21:32] | With any luck, | 运气好的话 |
[21:33] | we might be able to preserve his real identity. | 我们也许可以隐瞒他的真实身份 |
[21:37] | It may not be smart for you to be in the room, | 也许你还是不到法庭去的好 |
[21:39] | somebody might… | 说不定有人… |
[21:40] | I’ll be in the room! | 我要去法庭 |
[21:44] | I’ll stay in the back. | 我会坐在后排 |
[21:48] | I am sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[21:55] | Ready to go on this? | 你准备好了吗 |
[21:57] | I am not gonna dog and pony him, Scott. | 我不会让他大出洋相的 Scott |
[21:59] | Helen. Gilbert Carr engaged in prostitution. | Helen Gilbert Carr这次招妓 |
[22:02] | He broke the law. | 他犯法了 |
[22:03] | Just be a vigilant district attorney, | 你只要做一个尽职的检察官 |
[22:06] | you don’t have to distract yourself with the idea, | 不必费心去考虑其他的问题 |
[22:08] | what would happen should he win this election | 不必想如果我们赢了选举会怎么样 |
[22:11] | and decide to clean house. | 你只管做好自己的事就行 |
[22:13] | I’ll prosecute this man | 如你所说 我对这个人提起检控 |
[22:14] | because like you say he broke the law. | 是因为他触犯了法律 |
[22:17] | That’s all I ask. | 我也只要求这么多 |
[22:24] | So I’m not gonna testify in drag? | 这么说 我还是不穿那身衣服作证? |
[22:26] | I’m suddenly thinking it will create interest | 我突然想到 那样的话 |
[22:27] | in your identity. Plus… | 会让人们对你的身份产生好奇 而且… |
[22:31] | Plus what? | 而且什么 |
[22:33] | Gilbert Carr’s lawyer could come after you. | Gilbert Carr的律师可能不会放过你 |
[22:37] | Probable-cause hearings, | 在正当诉由听证上 |
[22:38] | defense attorneys usually hold back. | 辩方律师通常会有所保留 |
[22:40] | But he might not. | 但是他不会 |
[22:41] | Can’t you stop him? | 你不能阻止他吗 |
[22:43] | Well, Jerry’s a witness in there, | Jerry这次是作为证人出庭 |
[22:44] | he’s not on trial. | 他不是被告 |
[22:45] | Which means you don’t get counsel. | 这意味着他不能委托律师 |
[22:47] | Which means I can’t protect you. | 意味着我不能保护你 |
[22:49] | What about the district attorney, | 那地区检察官呢 |
[22:51] | she can protect me, right? | 她可以保护我 对吧 |
[22:53] | Well | 呃 |
[22:53] | Eugene, I’m getting a bad feeling here. | Eugene 我有种不祥的预感 |
[22:55] | Look, Helen Gamble is a friend. | 虽然 Helen Gamble是我的朋友 |
[22:57] | But my firm has torpedoed her a few times. | 但是我们的事务所曾经耍过她几次 |
[23:01] | Now, I think she’ll be sympathetic to us in there, but, | 我觉得她会对我们有所同情 但是 |
[23:04] | I guess what I’m saying is she doesn’t owe us any favors. | 我的意思是说 她并不欠我们任何人情 |
[23:08] | This is gonna be all over the news, isn’t it? | 这个案子会被媒体大肆报道 是不是 |
[23:12] | My kids, people at work | 我的孩子 同事们 |
[23:15] | Look, I can’t promise that it won’t be. | 我不能保证不会发生这样的事 |
[23:17] | Why don’t we just kill the deal. | 我们为什么不干脆取消跟检方的交易呢 |
[23:19] | Cos I don’t think it’ll solve anything. | 因为我觉得那样解决不了任何问题 |
[23:22] | At least this way you don’t get prosecuted yourself. | 目前这种办法 你自己至少不会被提起检控 |
[23:29] | Honey | 亲爱的 |
[23:34] | Honey, I’m sorry, | 亲爱的 对不起 |
[23:35] | I just, I don’t | 我只是 我不想 |
[23:56] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[23:57] | Right. | 的确 |
[23:59] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[23:59] | I have been… | 我已经… |
[24:00] | You have been what? | 你已经什么 |
[24:01] | Excusing you. | 不跟你计较了 |
[24:03] | You know, maybe we should go into the conference room | 也许 我们两个应该到会议室去 |
[24:06] | and discuss a few things. | 好好谈一谈 |
[24:07] | Maybe we should. | 也许你说得对 |
[24:08] | I can take some minutes. | 我不介意耽搁几分钟时间 |
[24:10] | – Quiet! – Quiet! | – 闭嘴 – 闭嘴 |
[24:14] | Keep everybody else out, can you do that? | 不要让任何人进来 听到了吗 |
[24:19] | After you. | 你先请 |
[24:25] | You see this here? | 你看看这个 |
[24:26] | Do you know what this is Lindsay? | 你看到这是什么了吗 Lindsay |
[24:28] | A table. | 桌子 |
[24:29] | It’s not just a table. | 这不只是一张桌子 |
[24:30] | It’s a piece of across-the-street | 这是大律所的一部分 |
[24:32] | the high-rise firms with the big clients | 高端的律师事务所 有着高端的客户 |
[24:34] | and the libraries and the computers | 还有图书馆和电脑 |
[24:36] | Clients who don’t kill people | 他们的客户不是杀人犯 |
[24:37] | It is a piece of across-the-street that you have been chasing. | 这是大律所的一部分 是你一直梦寐以求的 |
[24:41] | Bobby, I knew his vote. | Bobby 我知道他会反对 |
[24:43] | He is some kind of successful | 他所追求的东西 |
[24:45] | because none of us will ever understand, | 我们大家没有人能够理解 |
[24:47] | but you? | 可是你 |
[24:48] | This new client is exactly our ticket | 这次的这个客户正是通往 |
[24:50] | to admission to the other world that you want! | 你梦寐以求的那个世界的敲门砖 |
[24:53] | And by you voting to turn it down tells me | 结果你却投了反对票 这让我觉得 |
[24:55] | that you are either more concerned with your own success | 你要么是只在意你自己的成功 |
[24:58] | than that of the firm’s, | 而不是事务所的发展 |
[24:59] | or you are suddenly under the influence of Bobby’s bedcovers! | 要么就是你受了Bobby的枕边风的影响 |
[25:02] | Either way, I have got a big problem! | 不管是哪样 我都不能接受 |
[25:05] | Are you done? | 你说完了吗 |
[25:06] | For now. | 暂时完了 |
[25:07] | First of all, | 首先 |
[25:08] | this table never represented a world where we represent… | 这张桌子根本不能代表另外的那个世界… |
[25:11] | – That isn’t what… – You said you were done. | – 我说的不是… – 你说你已经说完了 |
[25:13] | That has nothing to do with this client! | 你说的这些跟这个客户根本没关系 |
[25:15] | You said you were done. | 你不是说完了吗 |
[25:16] | You just don’t like the idea | 你就是不愿意看着其他人 |
[25:18] | of anyone besides you bringing in a blue-chip | 接下这种蓝筹客户 |
[25:20] | It is about the client! | 那是因为这个客户不一样 |
[25:21] | We don’t have to do it forever! | 我们又不是一辈子做这一个客户 |
[25:23] | It’s not who we are, it’s not who you are, | 这与我们是什么人无关 与你是什么人无关 |
[25:25] | unless you’re under some new influence… | 除非你又受到了新的因素影响… |
[25:27] | Oh please, don’t tell me who I am | 拜托 用不着你来告诉我我是什么人 |
[25:29] | Are you somebody who wants to cross-examine | 你愿意成为那样的人吗 |
[25:31] | widows everyday saying | 每天对寡妇交叉质询 问她们说 |
[25:32] | hey, maybe your husband had the flu? | 嘿 也许你丈夫患了流感 |
[25:33] | You have never even tried one of these cases before | 你以前从来没有做过这样的案子 |
[25:35] | Everyday your job will be to wear them down | 你每天的工作就是折磨她们 |
[25:50] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[25:51] | I tried keeping them out, honest. | 我尽力想拦住他们了 真的 |
[25:53] | Ellenor, in my office. | Ellenor 到我办公室来 |
[25:54] | Oh, go to hell! | 去死吧你 |
[25:58] | That was rude. | 好粗暴啊 |
[26:03] | Sir, | 先生 |
[26:04] | calling your attention to the evening of January 1st, 1999, | 请回忆一下1999年1月1日晚上 |
[26:08] | did you encounter anybody sitting in this courtroom? | 你有没有碰到今天在座的什么人 |
[26:11] | The defendant. | 被告 |
[26:12] | The record will reflect | 请法庭记录在案 |
[26:13] | the witness has indicated Mr. Gilbert Carr. | 证人指出了Gilbert Carr先生 |
[26:16] | Could you describe that encounter? | 请你描述一下当时的场景 |
[26:17] | I was walking on Columbus Avenue about ten-thirty, | 当时大约十点半 我走在哥伦布大道上 |
[26:22] | and he pulled up in his car and invited me to get in. | 他把车停在我旁边 请我上车 |
[26:26] | You were dressed as a woman. | 你当时穿着女人的衣服 |
[26:28] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:29] | And when he invited you in his car, you got in. | 他请你上他的车 你就上去了 |
[26:32] | Not at first, | 刚开始没有 |
[26:34] | but eventually I got in | 但最后我还是上车了 |
[26:36] | and we drove to an apartment, | 然后我们开车去一处公寓 |
[26:38] | went inside. | 进了房间 |
[26:39] | And when you got inside, | 当你进去之后 |
[26:41] | what happened then? | 发生了什么事 |
[26:44] | He removed his trousers and his underwear, | 他脱掉了裤子和内裤 |
[26:49] | he said he just wanted look at me for a minute, | 他说他只想看我一会 |
[26:51] | which he did. | 他也确实这样做了 |
[26:53] | Then | 然后 |
[26:56] | he asked me to serve my country. | 他让我为祖国效劳 |
[27:00] | Serve your country. | 为祖国效劳 |
[27:06] | He wanted me to sing the National Anthem | 他想一边听我唱国歌 |
[27:07] | while he sexually gratified himself. | 他一边自己自慰 |
[27:10] | Did he give you money to do this? | 他有没有为此付钱给你 |
[27:12] | He put six hundred dollars on the table. | 他放了600块钱在桌子上 |
[27:15] | Did you do what he asked? | 你有没有照他说的做 |
[27:18] | Yes. | 有 |
[27:20] | And while you sang, | 在你唱歌的时候 |
[27:21] | did he in fact sexually gratify himself? | 他是否的确在自慰 |
[27:25] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:26] | Sir, | 先生 |
[27:27] | could you stand up and show us | 能否请你站起来 给我们演示一下 |
[27:28] | how you were standing while you sang? | 你当时唱歌的时候 站在什么位置 |
[27:30] | Objection. | 反对 |
[27:31] | I apologize, your Honor, | 很抱歉 法官阁下 |
[27:33] | but I’m sure Mr. Cavrin will try to convince us | 但是我相信Carvin先生会抗辩说 |
[27:35] | that his client simply hired Mr. Green | 他的当事人之所以付钱给Green先生 |
[27:38] | to do a musical number. | 只是想请他唱首歌 |
[27:40] | Step out, Mr. Green. | 请站出来 Green先生 |
[27:46] | If I’m Gilbert Carr, | 如果我是Gilbert Carr |
[27:48] | where were you standing? | 你当时站在什么位置 |
[27:52] | Right about here. | 大概就在这里 |
[27:54] | And could you sing for us | 你能不能给我们唱一下 |
[27:55] | the way you sang for Mr. Carr. | 就像当时你唱给Carr先生听一样 |
[27:58] | I’m sorry Mr. Green, | 抱歉 Green先生 |
[27:59] | but we need to get an idea of what we’re talking about here. | 但是我们需要详细了解你所描述的情况 |
[28:03] | Just a few bars, your Honor. | 只要唱几句就可以 法官阁下 |
[28:06] | The witness will sing as he did that evening. | 请证人像当天晚上那样唱几句 |
[28:13] | Mr. Green. | Green先生 |
[28:28] | Objection, I am this man’s lawyer, | 反对 我是他的律师 |
[28:30] | I object to this. | 我反对这么做 |
[28:31] | This man is not represented by counsel | 在正当诉由听证中 |
[28:33] | for the purpose of this hearing. | 证人并没有权利委托律师 |
[28:34] | He is now, | 他有 |
[28:35] | he cut a deal with the state, | 他跟检方达成了交易 |
[28:36] | I’d advise him right now to withdraw. | 我现在要建议他取消交易 |
[28:38] | It’s a little late! | 已经太晚了 |
[28:39] | – I’m still doing it Helen! – All right. | – 我还是他的律师 Helen – 好了 |
[28:42] | I’m gonna sustain Mr. Young’s objection. | 我判定Young先生的反对有效 |
[28:45] | This isn’t necessary. | 这么做没有必要 |
[28:46] | Mr. Young, please sit down. | Young先生 请坐下 |
[28:50] | Mr. Young, take a seat! | Young先生 请坐下 |
[29:04] | I’m sorry, Mr. Green. | 对不起 Green先生 |
[29:05] | I have nothing further, your Honor. | 我没有问题了 法官阁下 |
[29:13] | Did you ever touch my client? | 你有没有触碰过我的当事人 |
[29:15] | No. | 没有 |
[29:16] | My client ever touch you? | 我的当事人有没有触碰过你 |
[29:21] | No. | 没有 |
[29:29] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[29:31] | That’s all. | 我问完了 |
[29:45] | What the hell was that? | 你这是搞什么鬼 |
[29:46] | I had to paint a picture, Eugene. | 我必须营造点效果 Eugene |
[29:48] | Paint a picture, | 营造效果 |
[29:48] | that was more than painting a damn picture. | 你他妈可不止营造点效果而已 |
[29:50] | Hey | 嘿 |
[29:50] | You made him sing the National Anthem | 你让他在法庭上 |
[29:52] | in front of a roomful of people | 当着那么多人的面唱国歌 |
[29:53] | I buried his name and his address, | 我没有公开他的姓名和地址 |
[29:55] | I stayed away from anything personal | 我没有涉及任何私人信息 |
[29:56] | That was personal! | 你当然有 |
[29:57] | What was? | 哪个方面 |
[29:58] | You stood him up there to get laughed at, | 你让他站在证人席上被人嘲笑 |
[29:59] | and now whether anybody finds out who he is or not, | 现在 不管有没有人发现他的真实身份 |
[30:01] | he has to deal with what just happened in courtroom, | 他都必须面对法庭上的这些事情造成的后果 |
[30:03] | and don’t tell me it didn’t feel personal! | 不要告诉我这不涉及私人 |
[30:05] | Eugene, I did what I had to do, | Eugene 我只是做了我该做的事情 |
[30:07] | what I told you… | 我告诉过你 |
[30:08] | Oh yeah, you were just following orders, Helen | 哦 是啊 你只是在服从命令 Helen |
[30:10] | good for you, | 真不错 |
[30:11] | I mean you’re a real team player. | 你可真有团队精神 |
[30:14] | Get out before I call security. | 马上给我出去 不然我要叫保安了 |
[30:35] | Truth is, right now, | 老实说 照现在的情况 |
[30:37] | I’m kinda glad not be a partner. | 我还真有点庆幸不是合伙人 |
[30:39] | I know what you mean. Ever since… | 我知道你想说什么 自从… |
[30:44] | What? | 怎么了 |
[30:44] | -Nothing. -We’re just talking. | -没什么 -我们随便聊聊 |
[30:47] | About what? | 聊什么 |
[30:48] | – Stock market. – Client. | – 股市 – 客户 |
[31:00] | Where’d this come from? | 这东西哪儿来的 |
[31:01] | What? | 什么 |
[31:02] | There’s a medical bag on the floor right here. | 这边地板上有个医疗包 |
[31:05] | Ha, ha. | 哈哈 |
[31:06] | No ha, ha, it’s right here, | 笑什么笑 真的就在这里 |
[31:07] | how’d this get here? | 从哪儿来的 |
[31:09] | I don’t know, we didn’t get any deliveries | 我不知道 我们没有收到包裹 |
[31:10] | C’mon, this is a joke. | 得了吧 有人恶作剧而已 |
[31:13] | Who did this? | 是谁放的 |
[31:14] | It’s not even his bag. | 这根本不是他的包 |
[31:15] | Well, it looks close enough. Open it. | 看起来很像呢 快打开 |
[31:18] | You open it, he’s your client. | 你自己打开 他是你的当事人 |
[31:23] | He couldn’t have gotten another date so fast. | 他不可能这么快又找到人约会的 |
[31:25] | Funny. | 真逗 |
[31:26] | Ellenor, open it. | Ellenor 把它打开 |
[31:43] | Gotcha good, didn’t I? | 上当了吧 是不是 |
[31:45] | – Hey! – Ellenor! | – 嘿 – Ellenor |
[31:47] | It was a joke, for God’s sakes! | 开个玩笑而已 老天爷 |
[31:50] | Everybody go to hell! | 你们全都去死吧 |
[31:54] | When did she get so rude? | 她什么时候变得这么粗鲁的 |
[32:06] | Judge ruled yet? | 法官作出裁定了吗 |
[32:07] | Ten o’clock. | 十点钟 |
[32:08] | Pretty good splash, huh? | 效果很不错 是吧 |
[32:12] | Everything we wanted. | 我们的目的全都实现了 |
[32:22] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[32:24] | You did all you could. | 你已经竭尽全力了 |
[32:26] | You talk to people at work? | 你跟你的同事谈过没有 |
[32:28] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[32:31] | I feel like I let you down, Jerry. | 我觉得我让你失望了 Jerry |
[32:33] | I’m the one who put on those clothes and went out there, | 是我自己穿上那身衣服走到街上去的 |
[32:36] | don’t feel sorry for me Eugene. | 用不着向我道歉 Eugene |
[32:38] | I did this to myself. | 我是自作自受 |
[32:42] | I feel sorry for my kids | 我觉得对不起我的孩子 |
[32:44] | Your kids will stand by you. | 孩子们会支持你的 |
[32:48] | First, we gotta get you some help. | 首先 你需要去看看医生 |
[32:52] | Your kids, | 你的孩子们 |
[32:53] | Susan, me, | Susan 我 |
[32:54] | we’ll all be here for you. | 我们都会支持你的 |
[33:03] | I was just trying to break the tension. | 我只不过想缓和一下紧张的气氛 |
[33:05] | By putting a fake head in a medical bag? | 你的办法就是放个假头在医疗包里面? |
[33:08] | In time you’ll all laugh. | 事后 你们都会觉得好笑的 |
[33:12] | Lucy, remember when I said you were working out just fine? | Lucy 你还记得我说过我觉得你做得很好吗 |
[33:16] | You were lying? | 你骗我的吗 |
[33:17] | No, you’re doing great, | 不 你做得非常棒 |
[33:19] | but maybe you can just, pull back a little. | 但是也许你应该 收敛一点点 |
[33:21] | Oh, | 哦 |
[33:23] | okay. | 好啊 |
[33:26] | what does that mean? | 你是想说什么 |
[33:27] | Well, maybe you don’t question people bluntly | 呃 也许你不该口无遮拦地追问 |
[33:30] | about their sexual identity. | 别人的性取向 |
[33:32] | I knew it! | 我就知道 |
[33:33] | She is one, God | 她真的是 天哪 |
[33:35] | No she isn’t, but you see right there, | 不对 她不是 但是正如我刚才所说的 |
[33:37] | your response to me probably should have been just, okay. | 也许你在回答我的时候应该只说 “好的” |
[33:42] | Okay. | 好的 |
[33:43] | You don’t always have to spice things up with your take. | 有时候 你要学会适可而止 |
[33:47] | Does that make sense? | 你明白我的意思吗 |
[33:49] | I guess. | 明白 |
[33:51] | Great. | 很好 |
[33:54] | Can you ask Ellenor to come on in? | 能帮我叫Ellenor进来一下吗 |
[33:57] | Sure. | 当然 |
[33:58] | Ellenor, Bobby would like to see you in his office. | Ellenor Bobby叫你去他的办公室 |
[34:01] | And don’t punch me, I’m just the messenger. | 不要打我 我只是来报个信 |
[34:03] | Lucy Lucy. | |
[34:05] | Still too much spice? | 我又说多了吗 |
[34:17] | I understand your disappointment | 我知道因为我们拒绝了你的案子 |
[34:19] | in our not taking your new client. | 你的心情非常失望 |
[34:20] | But to accuse Lindsay of | 但是你骂Lindsay… |
[34:21] | Oh, what, she go running to her boyfriend? | 这算什么 她跑去向男朋友求助了? |
[34:24] | I’m entitled to some respect from you. | 我觉得你应该对我多点尊重 |
[34:26] | Not just because I’m senior partner | 不光是因为我是高级合伙人 |
[34:28] | but because I think I’ve earned it. | 还因为我有资格得到你的尊重 |
[34:32] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[34:36] | What’s this about. | 你怎么想的 |
[34:40] | I’d like to earn some more money, Bobby. | 我想多挣点钱 Bobby |
[34:42] | I’d like to buy a new car, | 我想买辆新车 |
[34:43] | some new clothes | 买几件新衣服 |
[34:45] | the romance of the law is great | 法律的理想主义令人向往 |
[34:46] | but after a while | 但是一段时间之后 |
[34:49] | all my classmates in law school have houses. | 我那些法学院的同学全都有了自己的房子 |
[34:52] | I’m not ashamed to admit that I wanna be able to buy things. | 我并不羞于承认 我希望有钱买更多的东西 |
[34:55] | And this client | 而这个客户 |
[34:56] | Is that it? Money? | 就是这个原因吗 因为钱? |
[34:58] | Most of it. | 大部分是 |
[35:01] | And then there’s her | 再有就是她 |
[35:04] | Lindsay Lindsay. | |
[35:07] | I love her, don’t get me wrong. | 我喜欢她 不要误会 |
[35:09] | But this whole office expansion, everything, | 但是所有这些办公室扩建 所有的事情 |
[35:14] | it was paid for mostly with her business. | 基本上都是用她挣来的业务买单的 |
[35:16] | She’s better than me, I know | 她比我优秀 我知道 |
[35:18] | Ellenor Ellenor, | |
[35:20] | she’s not better than you. | 她并不比你优秀 |
[35:23] | All the big clients that come through these doors | 所有那些走进我们办公室的大客户 |
[35:25] | come in asking for you or her, not… | 都指名要找你或找她 而不是… |
[35:32] | this one came in asking for me, | 这个客户是来找我的 |
[35:35] | and it felt good. | 这种感觉很好 |
[35:37] | And now that you and she | 而现在你跟她在一起 |
[35:38] | and I am happy for that, | 我为你们感到高兴 |
[35:40] | for both of you | 为你们俩高兴 |
[35:41] | but this idea that she’s the chosen child, | 但是一想到什么都由她说了算 |
[35:44] | it just doesn’t help it any… | 我就是觉得… |
[35:47] | First of all, I’m not even gonna dignify the suggestion that | 首先 你说作为律师 你不如她 |
[35:49] | you take a backseat to her as a lawyer | 这一点我完全不能赞同 |
[35:51] | All the blue chips come in… | 所有那些大客户… |
[35:52] | I don’t care about the blue chips | 我不管什么大客户 |
[35:53] | even if you wore a hundred and two earrings! | 哪怕你戴上几百只耳环 |
[35:56] | Second, | 其次 |
[35:57] | even if there were some legitimacy | 即便承认你的这些感受 |
[35:59] | to all these feelings, | 不是完全没有道理 |
[36:01] | you’re wrong to punish Lindsay, | 你也不应该怪罪到Lindsay头上 |
[36:03] | because you know she’s not imposing anything on you. | 因为你知道她对你没有一点恶意 |
[36:07] | You know that, Ellenor. | 你知道的 Ellenor |
[36:19] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[36:26] | Be seated. | 请坐下 |
[36:29] | As there’s no allegation of any sexual contact, | 由于检方并未指控存在性接触 |
[36:33] | nor any evidence of money actually changing hands, | 也没有证据证明实际发生了金钱交易 |
[36:37] | I find that the Commonwealth has failed | 本庭裁定检方在本案中 |
[36:39] | to demonstrate probable cause for the arrest of Mr. Carr. | 未能证明存在拘捕Carr先生的正当诉由 |
[36:43] | The case is therefore dismissed with prejudice, | 因此 本案予以驳回且不得再次提出检控 |
[36:46] | the defendant is free to go. Adjourned. | 被告当庭开释 休庭 |
[36:58] | He was got to. | 他一定有问题 |
[36:59] | Somebody got to that judge. | 肯定有人找过那个法官 |
[37:01] | There is no way we didn’t have probably cause. | 我们不可能连正当诉由都不成立 |
[37:04] | This is politics! | 这是政治干预 |
[37:05] | Imagine that. | 真的是 |
[37:07] | Helen Well, Helen, | |
[37:08] | we have to prosecute the other guy now. | 现在我们得起诉另外那个人 |
[37:11] | Green Green. | |
[37:12] | We already gave him immunity. | 我们已经给了他豁免权了 |
[37:13] | Conditioned on our getting probable cause on Carr. | 前提条件是我们通过Carr的正当诉由听证 |
[37:17] | We didn’t get it. | 但是我们没有通过 |
[37:18] | I think we’ve put Jerry Green through quite enough. | 我觉得我们已经把Jerry Green折磨够了 |
[37:21] | We didn’t get PC! | 我们没有通过正当诉由 |
[37:22] | You only wanna prosecute Green | 你之所以要起诉Green |
[37:24] | to keep flaming this story! | 只是因为你想继续炒作这个事情 |
[37:27] | The man committed an act of prostitution. | 这个人犯了卖淫罪 |
[37:30] | Look, if we didn’t get probable cause on Carr | 你想想 既然我们在Carr那边通不过正当诉由 |
[37:34] | we’re not gonna get it on Green. | 在Green这边也一样通不过 |
[37:35] | Different judge we will. | 换个法官 也许能通过 |
[37:36] | I won’t do it. | 我不干 |
[37:38] | Helen Helen | |
[37:39] | I said I won’t do it. | 我说了我不干 |
[37:41] | And you won’t get any other district attorney to do it either | 你也不能找其他的检察官来接手 |
[37:44] | and if you do, | 如果你硬要这么做 |
[37:46] | I’ll go to the press with the truth | 我会向媒体披露真相 |
[37:47] | about your political motives. | 告诉他们你的政治动机 |
[37:50] | Don’t threaten me, Helen. | 不要威胁我 Helen |
[37:52] | I will threaten you. | 我就是要威胁你 |
[37:54] | I am threatening you. | 我正在威胁你 |
[37:56] | We just destroyed a man in that courtroom. | 我们刚刚在法庭上毁了那个人 |
[37:59] | There’s only so much politics I can stomach. | 我能够容忍的政治到此为止 |
[38:02] | If it costs me my job, fine, | 如果你要炒掉我 没关系 |
[38:05] | that I can live with. | 我无所谓 |
[38:07] | Here, you got your headline. | 给你 这是你要的头条 |
[38:12] | Now go get a conscience. | 现在你该找点良心了 |
[38:29] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[38:43] | That’s the last thing I need, | 我最不想看到的情况 |
[38:44] | is for you to stick up for me! | 就是你站出来保护我 |
[38:46] | I wasn’t sticking up for you | 我没有站出来保护你 |
[38:47] | You told her to lay off me, what’s that? | 你叫她放过我 这算什么 |
[38:48] | I can fight my own battles. | 我自己知道怎么跟人斗 |
[38:50] | I was talking to her as senior partner, | 我是以高级合伙人的身份跟她谈 |
[38:52] | which I still am. | 我还是这个身份 |
[38:53] | That doesn’t change anything just because… | 那说明不了问题 不能仅仅因为… |
[38:55] | You’re not senior partner here, Bobby. | 你在我这里可不是高级合伙人 Bobby |
[38:56] | Well then let’s put our clothes back on, | 那要不我们就穿上工作装 |
[38:58] | drive over to the office, | 开车去办公室 |
[38:59] | and we’ll have the conversation there! | 我们可以在办公室谈 |
[39:09] | What? | 怎么 |
[39:12] | They’re treating me differently ever since… | 他们开始以不同的眼光看待我 自从… |
[39:14] | like I’m Helen on some Trojan horse trying to… | 就好像我是特洛伊木马里的海伦 试图… |
[39:18] | That is your imagination. | 那只是你的想象 |
[39:22] | Look, can you not handle this? | 那么 你是不是应付不来这些 |
[39:26] | Because we can go back to… | 如果是 我们可以回到… |
[39:27] | Is that what you want? To go back? | 你是这么想的吗 你想回到以前吗 |
[39:33] | No. | 不想 |
[39:35] | But, it’s causing a lot of… | 但是 这样会造成很多的… |
[39:38] | if you really wanna go back, | 如果你真的想回到以前 |
[39:41] | I’ll understand, I will | 我可以理解 真的 |
[39:49] | My New Year’s resolution was | 我的新年愿望就是 |
[39:52] | to move ahead. | 要往前走 |
[39:54] | And everybody certainly thinks that was mine, don’t they? | 而所有人都觉得那其实是我的愿望 不是吗 |
[39:57] | You care what they think? | 你在意他们怎么想吗 |
[39:58] | Yes. | 是的 |
[39:59] | But you care more about what I think, right? | 但是你更在意我怎么想 是吧 |
[40:03] | I’m not going anywhere. | 我不想回去 |
[40:05] | I’d rather fire you. | 我宁愿开除你 |
[40:08] | You can’t just fire me, | 你不能说开除就开除我 |
[40:10] | I’m a partner. | 我是合伙人 |
[40:12] | Yeah, you are. | 嗯 你是 |
[40:15] | Mine. | 也是我的伴侣 |
[40:50] | Hi, is your father home? | 嗨 你爸爸在家吗 |
[40:53] | Yeah | 在 |
[40:56] | Can I come in for a second? | 我可以进来一会吗 |
[41:03] | I don’t think so. | 我想还是不进来的好 |
[41:05] | Okay. | 那好吧 |
[41:08] | I came to apologize and under the circumstances, | 我是来道歉的 我知道经过这样的事情 |
[41:12] | I can imagine how hollow that must sound. | 道歉听上去显得多么空洞 |
[41:15] | What you did in that room was illegal, | 你在那个房间里所做的事情是违法的 |
[41:22] | but what I did in that bigger room | 但是我在法庭上的所作所为 |
[41:25] | was unconscionable. | 则是违反良心的 |
[41:27] | I also know what distinguishes our actions | 我也知道我们之间唯一的区别是 |
[41:34] | mine was more a product of free will. | 你是不由自主 而我则是自己选择的 |
[41:40] | I’m truly sorry. | 我真的非常抱歉 |
[41:45] | I believe you. | 我相信你 |
[41:50] | Good night, Mr. Green. | 晚安 Green先生 |
[41:52] | Good night, Ms. Gamble. | 晚安 Gamble小姐 |