时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Ready? | 准备好了? |
[00:01] | Almost. | 差不多了 |
[00:02] | We should get going. | 我们该出发了 |
[00:03] | Hey, take it easy! | 嘿,放松些! |
[00:05] | I am taking it easy. | 我很放松 |
[00:06] | Okay, is this a coffee thing or an ex-boyfriend thing? | 好吧,你这是因为没喝咖啡还是因为男朋友呀? |
[00:09] | Ellenor | Ellenor |
[00:11] | Lindsay, Pinkner versus Williams and Breyland tobacco company? | Lindsay, Pinkner对Williams Breyland烟草公司的案子? |
[00:15] | Oh, yeah. She’s a friend of mine. | 哦,是的,她是我的朋友。 |
[00:18] | You actually took this case? | 你真的接了这个案子? |
[00:19] | It’ll be winner Bobby, maybe not a lot of money | Bobby,这个案子会赢的,但也许钱不多 |
[00:21] | A winner? You’re suing a cigar manufacturer | 赢?你在以破坏婚姻的理由对 |
[00:23] | for breaking up a marriage. | 一家烟草公司发起诉讼 |
[00:25] | What? | 什么? |
[00:27] | Emotional distress, basically alienation of affection. | 精神上的痛苦,基本上会导致夫妻感情破裂 |
[00:30] | Lindsay! | Lindsay! |
[00:31] | A couple of depositions, I meaning we don’t settle. | 两次取证,我觉得我们不用调整 |
[00:33] | How does a cigar come between husband and wife? | 一根雪茄会导致夫妻感情破裂? |
[00:35] | That’s a question of fact. | 这是个事实问题 |
[00:37] | Aren’t the partners supposed to approve new cases? | 合伙人难道不是应该要一致同意去接受新案子吗? |
[00:40] | It’s 2 days of discovery, tops, and you’re not a partner. | 最多两天的调查取证时间,另外,你不是合伙人 |
[00:44] | Thanks for reminding me. | 谢谢你提醒我 |
[00:45] | I am, and how does a cigar company | 可我是,烟草公司会怎么做? |
[00:47] | Aren’t you late for trial? | 你不是要耽误开庭了吗? |
[00:49] | Well, actually I have a few minutes. | 没事,我还有点时间 |
[00:51] | Yeah, me too! | 嗯,我也有时间 |
[00:51] | How much time do you plan to spend on this? | 你打算在这事上花多少时间? |
[00:53] | Hey! It’s for a friend! It’s 2 depositions, maybe a summary judgement motion. | 嘿,这是帮朋友,只是两次取证程序 没准可以申请快速判决 |
[00:57] | – Now it’s court time? – That’s 20 hours minimum! | 现在是开庭时间吗? 那至少要20个小时呀! |
[00:59] | I will get money out of it! | 我会从这案子上赚钱的! |
[01:00] | I beat the tobacco company once, I will do it again! | 我赢过烟草公司一次,我能再赢一次! |
[01:03] | And thank you all very much for your support. | 我谢谢你们大家的“支持”了! |
[01:05] | Maybe one day you people will have friends in your life that you’ll want to help, | 没准儿哪天你们这些鸟人会想去帮助你们生活中朋友 |
[01:08] | and when you do, I’ll remember this. | 你们做的时候,我会记住的 |
[01:10] | Definitely wedding stress. | 显著的婚姻恐惧症 |
[01:13] | My first instinct was to say nothing! Totally. | 我本能第一反应是啥也不说!一点也不。 |
[02:16] | Is everything okay? | 一切都好吧? |
[02:19] | It’s fine, it’s just, you guys started to gang up, that’s all. | 挺好,只不过,你们开始合伙针对我,就这些。 |
[02:24] | Your reaction was a little heightened. | 你反应有一点过头 |
[02:27] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[02:29] | I’ll try to settle this as fast as I can, okay? | 我会尽快搞定这事,好吗? |
[02:32] | Okay. Lindsay. | 好吧,Lindsay。 |
[02:35] | I think something is going on here. | 我觉得这里面还是有点什么事不对劲儿 |
[02:41] | Talk to me. | 告诉我 |
[02:42] | You’ll just laugh. | 你会笑话的 |
[02:44] | I won’t laugh. Tell me. | 我不会的,告诉我 |
[02:47] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[02:49] | I need more sex. | 我需要多一些性生活 |
[02:53] | Oh great. | 噢,这下扯了 |
[02:55] | You need more | 你需要更多? |
[02:57] | Yes, I don’t think you’re attracted to me anymore. | 是的,我觉得我不再能吸引你了 |
[03:00] | Are you crazy? | 你疯了吗? |
[03:01] | I well, it’s just we don’t not nearly like | 我还好,只是我们不太喜欢 |
[03:03] | It tapers off a little with all couples! | 所有小夫妻都是会激情逐渐减少的! |
[03:05] | We’re not even married yet. | 我们甚至还没有结婚呢 |
[03:07] | You don’t think I want to make love to you? | 你觉得我不想和你做爱? |
[03:09] | 1.6 times a week. Last year it was 3.9. | 一周平均1.6次,去年可是每周3.9次 |
[03:16] | You do the math? | 你算过这些? |
[03:19] | Bobby, I have a deposition. We’ll talk about this later, okay? | Bobby,我有个取证要做 我们稍后再谈,好吗? |
[03:31] | We hit a bump. Helen Gamble doesn’t want you in uniform, the judge agreed. | 我们有点麻烦了, Helen Gamble不希望你穿制服,法官同意了 |
[03:35] | I’m a cop. | 可我是个警察呀 |
[03:36] | On leave, and if the department says you can’t wear it, then | 因为是在休假期, 如果政府部门说你不能穿制服的话,那么 |
[03:39] | This is ridiculous. | 这太荒唐了 |
[03:40] | Well they’re giving you an hour to change. | 他们给你一个小时去换衣服 |
[03:43] | They did make an offer. | 他们还提出了一个交易条件 |
[03:44] | What? | 什么? |
[03:46] | Reckless endangerment, 6 months. | 鲁莽危害行为,六个月刑期 |
[03:48] | I’d have to serve? | 我必须去服刑吗? |
[03:49] | Well, a kid died. | 嗯,毕竟死了一个孩子 |
[03:51] | I was doing my job! | 可那是我的工作呀 |
[03:52] | Actually, you were off duty. | 实际上你那时下班了 |
[03:55] | Rebecca? | Rebecca? |
[03:56] | I’d turn it down. | 我建议拒绝 |
[03:57] | Hey, hey! Hold on! | 嘿,嘿,等一下 |
[03:58] | He thought the kid pulled a gun, Ellenor | 他认为那孩子拔枪了,Ellenor |
[04:01] | – it looked like a robbery. – I understand our defense Rebecca | 看起来像是抢劫 我理解我们的辩护策略,Rebecca |
[04:03] | but if we lose at murder 2, we’re looking at life. | 但如果被判二级谋杀,我们要着眼于生活, |
[04:05] | Tell the DA no. | 告诉地检说不! |
[04:06] | I was doing my job, I’ll go to the mat saying so. | 在做我的工作,我会去这样辩解的 |
[04:11] | Okay, I’ll tell her. Go change. | 好吧,我去告诉她,你去换衣服。 |
[04:19] | Rebecca, right now he needs you to be his lawyer, not his ex-girlfriend. | Rebecca,当前,他需要的是律师,不是老情人 |
[04:23] | Ellenor, don’t use that tone with me. | Ellenor,别用这种强调跟我说话。 |
[04:25] | Reckless endangerment would be a good result. | 鲁莽危害行为是个不错的结果 |
[04:27] | If he were guilty, yes, but he’s innocent. | 如果他本就有罪,那当然是不错的结果, 但是他是无辜的。 |
[04:29] | He shot an unarmed kid! | 他枪杀了一个徒手的孩子! |
[04:31] | Who he thought was about to commit a crime, and the kid did have a gun on him. | 他认为那孩子要实施犯罪,而且那孩子身上有枪。 |
[04:35] | All I’m saying is you used to love this guy, so maybe | 我要说的是你曾经爱过这家伙,所以也许。。。 |
[04:37] | Hey! You represented George Vogelman. | 嘿,你还代理过George Vogelman呢 |
[04:39] | I wasn’t in love with him! | 我并没有爱上他! |
[04:40] | So you were close friends. | 你们是至交 |
[04:41] | And my objectivity wasn’t compromised a bit, was it? | 但我的客观性没有受到影响,不是吗? |
[04:43] | The man cut off heads, stabbed coworkers, and I didn’t have a clue! | 那人砍了别人的头,刺伤同事,可我并没有线索! |
[04:47] | My objectivity on this is fine. | 我可以在这事上做到客观 |
[04:51] | Fine. | 那就好 |
[04:52] | Fine. | 就这样 |
[04:56] | I know it sounds crazy, but first we started fighting over the smell. | 我知道这听起来有疯狂, 但一开始我们是因为气味发生争执 |
[05:00] | Of the cigars? | 雪茄的味道? |
[05:01] | Yes. It would get into the fabric of the sofa, the drapes, the house would reek. | 是的,这气味钻进沙发和窗帘的纤维中,房子都发臭了 |
[05:07] | Then there was the health. | 然后就是有关健康 |
[05:08] | I’d start talking about how I was afraid he was going to get mouth cancer, | 我开始谈到我很怕他会患上口腔癌 |
[05:12] | and it would escalate into a bigger argument. | 这导致更加激烈的争论 |
[05:14] | Then, in order to get out of the house, or away from me, | 再以后,为了离开房子或者躲开我 |
[05:19] | he started going to these cigar clubs. | 他开始去雪茄俱乐部 |
[05:21] | Spending money we didn’t have. | 额外的开销 |
[05:23] | He started spending more and more time there. | 他在那里泡的时间越来越长 |
[05:25] | Our relationship continued to deteriorate. | 我们的关系持续恶化 |
[05:28] | Did you ever get counselling? | 你咨询过专家吗? |
[05:30] | Yes. The therapist said his cigar smoking was an issue and that he should stop, | 是的,治疗专家说他吸烟已经成为一个问题, 他应该停止 |
[05:35] | but he couldn’t. He was addicted. | 但他做不到,他上瘾了 |
[05:40] | Are you serious? | 你是认真的? |
[05:41] | If I establish addiction | 如果我将其变成嗜瘾问题 |
[05:42] | You won’t. | 你做不到的 |
[05:43] | I trial will cost you a lot more than just | 庭审会花费你们多得多的钱 |
[05:45] | I expected her to say something half-credible. | 我期望她说一些似是而非的话 |
[05:47] | Once again. If we survive summary judgement, my client | 再次重申,如果我们经过即时审判,我的客户。。。 |
[05:50] | There is no chance that I’m going to recommend to my client that he pay anything on this. | 不可能,我会建议我的客户什么也不给 |
[05:53] | If you proceed, you can be sure | 如果你接着干,你就会知道 |
[05:55] | I’ll be filing a motion against your client for costs, attorney fees | 我将提出有关反对你客户的声索和律师费用的动议 |
[05:58] | You can’t win on that, and even if you could, she’s judgement proof. | 你赢不了,即使你能,她也无力履行判决 |
[06:01] | Just make an offer. | 给出交易条件吧 |
[06:03] | Nothing? | 什么也不给? |
[06:05] | I still think I can get something. | 我还是认为我能得到一些 |
[06:07] | I’m deposing a senior management executive at Williams Breyland, | 我要传唤Williams Breyland公司的一个高级管理人员 |
[06:09] | if I can shake him up, I should be able to get nuisance. | 如果我搞定他,我应该能把这事定性为危害行为 |
[06:11] | Cigarette company’s don’t pay nuisance. There’s no way a cigar company is | 烟草公司不会为危害行为赔偿的,这事没门儿 |
[06:15] | We don’t know that! | 不一定! |
[06:15] | The precedent alone | 先例。。。 |
[06:16] | Jimmy, this case doesn’t involve you. | Jimmy,这个案子不关你的事 |
[06:18] | All right, depose the executives. If you still get no where | 好吧,传唤高管,如果你还是毫无进展 |
[06:21] | Thank you. Actually, I would like a second chair, | 谢谢你,实际上,我希望作为次席 |
[06:25] | a showing that the whole firm in behind the case. | 这显示整个事务所都在做这个案子 |
[06:27] | It’ll help me settle it faster. | 这有助于我尽快搞定 |
[06:28] | I’ve got a status conference with Michaels | 我和Michaels有一个进度讨论会议 |
[06:33] | You just said it didn’t involve me. | 你刚说过这不关我的事 |
[06:34] | One depo Jimmy. | 就一次取证,Jimmy |
[06:36] | You just have to sit there like a big lump, you think you can do that? | 你只需要坐在那里就当是个大块头而已, 你可以做到吧? |
[06:39] | She’s hostile. | 她对我有敌意 |
[06:41] | One deposition, you can do it. | 就一次取证,你可以的 |
[06:47] | He came in the store, he was about 17. | 他走进小店,大概17岁 |
[06:50] | The victim? | 受害人? |
[06:51] | Yes. I had my back to him. | 是的,我背朝着他 |
[06:53] | When he got closer to the counter, I turned towards him, | 当他走近柜台,我转向面朝他 |
[06:57] | that’s when he came in yelling freeze. | 那时候,他冲进来喊到站着别动! |
[07:00] | The defendant? | 被告? |
[07:01] | Yes. | 是的 |
[07:01] | What happened next? | 接下来发生了什么? |
[07:03] | I thought something must be going down. | 我想大概是要出事了 |
[07:05] | I started reaching under the counter for my rifle, | 我去拿柜台下面的来福枪 |
[07:08] | because I thought I was about to be robbed. | 因为我想大概是遇到抢劫了 |
[07:10] | Then, the officer just opened fire. | 然后,警官就开枪了 |
[07:13] | Mr. Akuffo, did you know Mr. Armstrong was a police officer when he came in the store? | Akuffo先生, 当Armstrong先生进来的时候,你知道他是警察吗? |
[07:18] | No. Hw was not uniformed. | 不知道,他没传制服 |
[07:20] | Did he ever identify himself as a police officer? | 他声称他是警察了吗? |
[07:23] | No. | 没有 |
[07:24] | Could you tell the court, | 你能否告诉法庭 |
[07:26] | did Will Bradley ever make a move toward you or the defendant before he opened fire? | 在被告开枪前,Bradley曾向你或者被告靠近吗? |
[07:32] | No, he just came in, the officer yelled freeze and shot the boy 3 times. | 没有,他只是进了店, 这个警官让他站住,并且给了这男孩三枪 |
[07:36] | Did you ever see a gun in Mr. Bradley’s hands? | 你可曾看到Bradley先生手里有枪吗? |
[07:39] | No. | 没有 |
[07:39] | Now as Mr. Armstrong was shooting, | 当Armstrong先生开枪的时候, |
[07:42] | could you see whether or not Mr. Bradley was holding a gun. | 你是否看到Bradley先生拿着枪? |
[07:46] | I could see that he wasn’t. | 我看到的是他没有拿着枪 |
[07:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:53] | You said you went looking for your rifle once Officer Armstrong came in. | 你说当Armstrong警官进来的时候你去找你的来福枪 |
[07:58] | Was that your testimony? | 这是你的证词吗? |
[07:59] | Yes. | 是的 |
[08:00] | So your eyes, they weren’t on Will Bradley at this moment. | 所以你此刻并没有看着Will Bradley |
[08:03] | I was looking back and forth. | 我来回看着呢 |
[08:04] | Back and forth, so for part of this time your eyes were not on Will bradley, right? | 来回看着?所以有一些时候你的目光并不在Will bradley身上,对吗? |
[08:10] | Yes. | 是的 |
[08:11] | So if he made a sudden movement in Mr. Armstrong’s direction, | 那么,如果他向Armstrong先生方向有什么突然的举动 |
[08:14] | it’s possible you might not have seen that, true? | 是否有可能你会察觉不到? |
[08:17] | I guess it’s possible. | 我想这是可能的 |
[08:18] | And by the way, | 那这么说 |
[08:19] | Will Bradley was carrying a gun on his person at the time of the shooting, right? | 在枪击发生的时候,Will Bradley正持着枪,对吗? |
[08:24] | I didn’t see it. I was informed later he was carrying a gun. | 我没看见,我是事后得知他身上有枪的 |
[08:54] | Well in my professional opinion, we’re dead. | 以我的专业观点看,我们完蛋了 |
[08:57] | Why? | 为什么? |
[08:59] | Until now, we always thought the store owner reached for his gun | 直到目前,我们一致认为店主去拿枪 |
[09:02] | because he thought the kid was gonna rob him. | 是因为他认为那孩子要抢劫他 |
[09:03] | That’s what he said. | 他是这么说的 |
[09:05] | No. He said he reached for his gun because you came in yelling freeze. | 不,他说他去拿枪是因为你冲进来大喊大叫 |
[09:08] | Making him think that the robbery was going down. | 使他认为要发生抢劫? |
[09:10] | Craig, try to get this. | Craig, 试着接受这些吧 |
[09:12] | Don’t talk to me like I’m some ghetto banger Ellenor, I’m a police officer. | 别把我当成某些无知的黑�牛�我是一个警官 |
[09:16] | We always thought the owner would corroborate your suspicion that a crime was in play. | 我们一直认为店主会证实 你对犯罪行为将要发生的怀疑。 |
[09:20] | He only thought that based on your behaviour, not that of the victims. | 他只认为是基于你的行为,而不是受害者的行为 |
[09:23] | Basically we have nothing to validate your suspicion. | 基本上我们没有什么可以证明你的怀疑 |
[09:27] | I’ve got 9 years on the force to validate my suspicion. | 我有九年警局任职的履历来支持我的判断 |
[09:30] | I know that element. I saw it in the store. | 我知道有哪些要点,我在商店里看到了那些 |
[09:33] | If I hadn’t shot him he would have robbed the place. | 如果我不射杀他,他会实施抢劫的 |
[09:36] | What was he doing with a gun Ellenor? | Ellenor,你说他带着枪打算要干嘛? |
[09:39] | The problem is, the gun was not in sight when you opened fire. | 问题在于,当你开火的时候,并没有看到那把枪 |
[09:43] | The problem is the gun was not in his hand. | 问题还在于他也没拿着枪 |
[09:45] | Who the hell are you, the DA? | 你到底站哪边呀?你是检方吗? |
[09:47] | No, I am your lawyer trying to make you understand the severity of these facts, | 不,我是你的律师, 我在试图让你理解问题事实上很严重。 |
[09:52] | and once again I recommend that you consider taking | 而且我再次建议你接受交易 |
[09:55] | I am not pleading out! I’m not going to jail! | 我不去恳求!我也不去监狱! |
[09:57] | All right Craig. | 好吧Craig |
[10:00] | The kid was scum. | 那孩子就是个人渣 |
[10:02] | The store owner might be dead if I hadn’t got there. | 我如果不到那儿,那个店主也许就死了 |
[10:05] | I’m not taking a deal that puts me in prison. | 我不会接受让我进监狱的交易 |
[10:20] | We’re deposing an executive from Williams today, | 我们今天对Williams公司的一个高管人员进行取证 |
[10:23] | after that we’ll see where we are. | 这之后我再衡量一下 |
[10:25] | I felt like the biggest fool. | 我觉得我像个大傻瓜 |
[10:27] | you’re not a fool. | 你不是的 |
[10:29] | I swear to you Lindsay, I saw it. | 我向你发誓,Lindsay,我看到了 |
[10:33] | I watched how he got sucked in. | 我看到他是如何不能自拔的 |
[10:35] | 00:10:35,789 –> 00:10:40,236 The magazines, the clubs, he got sucked into that world. | 新闻杂志,俱乐部 他被吸入了那个世界 |
[10:40] | He became an addict. | 他变成了一个瘾君子 |
[10:41] | He spent money we didn’t have and it cost us. | 他透支花钱,这让我们付出了代价 |
[10:45] | I am not crazy, I watched it happen. | 我没有疯,我看着这些发生 |
[10:56] | Look, after tomorrow’s deposition, we might have to just cut our losses. | 明天取证后,我们可能需要止损 |
[11:01] | I have a duty to my partners. | 我要对其他合伙人负责 |
[11:04] | You’d think I’d be able to sue him. | 你认为我无法起诉他 |
[11:07] | Well, it’s a no fault state. | 这里是施行无过错责任法律的州 |
[11:09] | I watched it happen. I am not crazy. | 我看着这些发生,我没疯 |
[11:13] | Those cigars helped kill our marriage. | 这些雪茄毁了我们的婚姻 |
[11:24] | You seem to have the same temper I remember. | 你的脾气似乎没变 |
[11:26] | I didn’t shoot because I lost my temper, Rebecca. | 我不是因为发了脾气才开枪的,Rebecca |
[11:29] | I’m talking about you and Ellenor. | 我是指你和Ellenor之间 |
[11:31] | Yeah, well it seems like she thinks I’m guilty. | 嗯,她似乎觉得我是有罪的 |
[11:34] | No, she thinks you have a tough case, which you do. | 不,她是认为你的案子很棘手 |
[11:37] | If I hadn’t shot that kid he would have been killed by his homies a week later. | 即使我没有开枪, 那孩子一周后也许会被他的同伙儿给杀了 |
[11:42] | He was a perp. A juvie record as long as my arm. You know that as well as I do. | 他是个罪犯,他的前科记录跟我胳膊一样长, 你我都知道这点 |
[11:47] | You take that attitude on the stand, you’re going down. | 你要是这个态度上了法庭,我们肯定就输了 |
[11:51] | Craig, are you listening to me? | Craig,你在听我说吗? |
[11:55] | I’m just frustrated. | 我真是很郁闷 |
[11:57] | I understand, but you need to listen to us and do what we tell you to. | 我理解,但你需要听我们的,并且按照我们说的做 |
[12:04] | giving me orders again, just like old times. | 就像以前那样命令我算了 |
[12:08] | Hey, you came to me. | 嘿,是你找我的 |
[12:09] | Yes I did. Because I hear you guys are good. | 是的,因为我听说你们那伙人有些本事 |
[12:15] | So listen to us. | 所以你要听我们的 |
[12:20] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[12:22] | You need to keep an even keel up there, matter of fact, don’t get defensive. | 你在庭上需要保持稳定平和,实际上,不要采取守势 |
[12:27] | People who know they’re innocent don’t get defensive. | 自知无罪的人是不会采取守势的 |
[12:31] | Now the DA, she’s gonna push and try to get you to reveal rage and a temper. | 现在,检察官, 她会对你施加压力,试图使你显出愤怒和暴躁 |
[12:38] | Don’t let that happen Craig. | 避免这些,Craig |
[12:46] | Okay. | 好的 |
[12:49] | You do publish this magazine? | 这杂志是你们发行的吗? |
[12:51] | Yes and other cigar manufacturers also publish | 是的,其他烟草制造商也这样做 |
[12:53] | Williams and Breyland published this one? | 这本是Williams and Breyland公司发行的? |
[12:56] | That’s correct. | 是的 |
[12:57] | And one goal of this magazine would be to perhaps induce men to smoke cigars? | 诱使男人抽雪茄是这本杂志的目的之一吗? |
[13:01] | Well it’s actually designed more for the cigar lover, men who already smoke. | 实际上,这本杂志是针对那些已经抽烟的雪茄爱好者的 |
[13:06] | Is it your testimony that there is no intent to attract new customers? | 你的证词是说明这本杂志无意于吸引新用户? |
[13:09] | No no, certainly we’d like to expand our customer base. | 不,我们当然是希望发展新用户 |
[13:12] | The magazine promotes smoking cigars, can we say that? | 这本杂志提倡吸雪茄,我们可以这么说吗? |
[13:14] | Yes but we do not encourage men to leave their wives in order to do so. | 是的,但是我们没有鼓励男人 为了这样做而离开他们的妻子 |
[13:20] | Thanks you, but you probably would be aware that cigar smoking, | 谢谢,但是你可能注意到抽雪茄 |
[13:24] | the smell of a cigar, it is an issue to some husbands and wives? | 产生的气味,对于有些夫妇来说是个问题 |
[13:28] | Not an issue to threaten a marriage. | 不是能威胁婚姻的问题 |
[13:30] | But an issue. | 但是个问题 |
[13:31] | Could be. | 也许是 |
[13:33] | These cigar clubs, primarily for men would that be a fair statement? | 这些雪茄俱乐部,主要针对男性,这么说是公平的吧? |
[13:37] | Yes, but women aren’t excluded. | 是的,但也没有排除女性 |
[13:39] | What percentage of there club’s members are men on average? | 俱乐部男性平会员平均百分比是多少? |
[13:42] | I do not know. | 我不知道 |
[13:43] | Would it surprise you to learn over 90%? | 当你得知这个比例超过90%,你感到惊讶吗? |
[13:45] | Cigars are primarily smoked by men. We’ve established that. | 雪茄基本都是男人在抽,这点是确定的 |
[13:48] | You’re aware that cigars may be addictive? | 你知道雪茄会上瘾吗? |
[13:51] | There’s no scientific evidence to conclude that they are. | 没有科学证据可以断定。 |
[13:53] | Is it your testimony cigars are not addictive? | 你的证词是说抽雪茄不会上瘾吗? |
[13:56] | My testimony is that there is no scientific evidence to confirm it. | 我的证词是没有足够的科学依据去确认此点 |
[14:00] | You’re aware cigar smokers have an increased risk of oral cancer? | 你们知道吸烟者更容易患上口腔癌吗? |
[14:04] | Yes. | 是的 |
[14:05] | You’re aware cigar smokers are at an increased risk of Esophogeal cancer? | 你们知道吸烟者更容易患上食管癌吗? |
[14:07] | Objection, this is not a cancer | 反对,我们不是在讨论癌症 |
[14:09] | this is just a deposition, all objections are waived till trial except in form of the question. | 这只是取证阶段,在庭审前应放弃所有的反对意见 除非是针对提问的方式 |
[14:14] | Esophogeal cancer? | 食管癌? |
[14:17] | Most smokers do not inhale, so | 很多抽烟者并没有深吸,所以。。。 |
[14:20] | Is it your testimony that a smoker who does not inhale | 你的证词是说一个没有深吸的抽烟者 |
[14:22] | doesn’t have an increased risk of Esophogeal cancer than a non-smoker? | 不会比不抽烟的人容易患上食管癌吗? |
[14:25] | That would not be my testimony. | 我应该是这个意思 |
[14:27] | You’re aware of an increased risk? | 你们知道患病风险增大是吗? |
[14:29] | I’m aware of the possibility, yes. | 我们知道有这种可能,是的 |
[14:31] | And are you aware even cigar smokers who do not inhale, | 但你知道即使没有深吸的那些抽烟者 |
[14:35] | their risk of Larynx cancer is more than 10 times greater than it is for non-smokers? | 他们患喉癌的风险比不吸烟者高出10倍以上吗? |
[14:39] | I’m aware of that medical claim, | 我知道那个说法 |
[14:41] | however I have no basis on which to either agree of disagree with it. | 然而我也没有依据去选择同意还是反对这个说法 |
[14:45] | okay. Let’s turn to heart disease. | 好吧。让我们来讨论心脏病 |
[14:51] | That had nothing to do with anything! | 那样做不会有任何作用! |
[14:53] | I know what I’m doing Jimmy. | 我知道我在做什么,Jimmy |
[14:54] | All I’m saying, this isn’t a cancer case. | 我所说的是,这不是一个癌症案子 |
[14:57] | – I have my reasons, – All right, hold on. | 我有我的理由 好了,等一下 |
[14:58] | – and cancer is an issue! -A man leaves his wife, she blames it on a cigar, | 癌症是个问题! 一个男人离开他的妻子,她怪罪于一支雪茄 |
[15:01] | we take the case and she’s in there talking about cancer. | 我们受理这案子,可她却在那里谈论癌症 |
[15:03] | All right! | 好了! |
[15:04] | Now she’s deposing the husband, did you know that? | 现在她要对这个丈夫取证,你们知道吗? |
[15:06] | This has turned into 3 depositions plus a motion for summary judgement. | 已经三个取证了,还有快速审判的动议 |
[15:10] | We’ve got 2 lawyers on it | 我们在这上用了两个律师 |
[15:11] | What the hell is your problem?! | 你到底有什么问题? |
[15:12] | I’m just saying | 我只是说说 |
[15:13] | You’ve said enough! | 我说得够多了! |
[15:21] | Is there something I’m not getting here? | 是不是有啥事我不知道? |
[15:22] | it’s Lindsay who’s not getting it from Bobby. | 那就是Lindsay 没从 Bobby那里得到的 |
[15:27] | Lucy! | Lucy! |
[15:35] | I have a plan okay? | 我有计划,好吗? |
[15:37] | It’s not just about these people don’t want to go to trial. | 这不仅仅因为那些人不想上庭 |
[15:41] | I have a plan. | 我有计划 |
[15:47] | I was walking a few doors down from the store, | 我走过这家店的几扇橱窗 |
[15:49] | it’s on my way home, I saw the young man, | 那是我回家的路上,我看见这年轻人 |
[15:51] | Mr. Bradley, approaching the store. | Bradley先生,走近商店 |
[15:53] | I saw that he had something metal in his hand that was reflecting the sunlight. | 我看见他手上拿着某种反射着阳光的金属物品, |
[15:57] | As he went into the store, I hustled up to get a better look. | 当他进入商店,我急忙跟去以便看得更清楚些 |
[16:01] | And did you get a better look? | 你看清楚了吗? |
[16:02] | Yes, when I got to the door I could see that the suspect was approaching the counter, | 是的,当我走到门口时,我看到嫌疑犯正在接近柜台 |
[16:06] | he was then reaching into his coat, it looked to me like he was reaching for a weapon. | 然后他把手伸到大衣里, 在我看起来他好像在伸手拿武器 |
[16:10] | What did you do then? | 你接下来做了什么? |
[16:12] | I went into the store and ordered him to drop his weapon. | 我进入商店,我命令他扔掉武器 |
[16:15] | He turned towards me, his arm was still in his coat, | 他转向我,他的胳膊还在大衣里 |
[16:18] | and I saw what looked like a gun. | 我看着像是一把枪 |
[16:20] | I thought he was pulling it out so I shot. | 我认为他正在拔枪,所以我开枪了 |
[16:23] | How many times did you shoot? | 你开了几枪? |
[16:25] | I later found out it was 3 times. | 之后我知道是3枪 |
[16:28] | What was the first thought that came to your mind when you saw this gun? | 当你看到这把枪的时候,你脑海里最先想到的是什么? |
[16:33] | That he was about to shoot me. | 是他打算向我开枪 |
[16:34] | I thought my life was in danger and I reacted. | 我想我生命受到了威胁,所以我做出来了反应 |
[16:38] | You were off duty and you had a gun? | 你下班之后还携带枪支? |
[16:41] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:42] | Why was that? | 为什么那样做? |
[16:43] | I carry it for personal protection. | 我带着枪用于自卫 |
[16:45] | Oh. You said, you were suspicious of Mr. Bradley before he came in the store, | 噢,你说过,在Bradley先生进入商店之前,你就怀疑他了 |
[16:50] | why was that? | 为什么会那样? |
[16:51] | Well, like I said I saw something metal in his hand. | 嗯,就像我说的, 我看见他手里有金属物品 |
[16:54] | But because of the angle of the sun, you weren’t sure what it was? | 但是因为太阳的角度,你不确定它是什么? |
[16:57] | That’s correct. | 是的 |
[16:59] | What was it about this man that made you think he had a gun and not something else? | 是什么让你觉得那是枪而不是别的什么? |
[17:05] | I just had a feeling is all. | 只是凭感觉 |
[17:06] | Mr. Armstrong, did that feeling have anything to do with the colour of Mr. Bradley’s skin? | Armstrong先生, 这种感觉和Bradley先生的肤色有关系吗? |
[17:11] | That’s ridiculous. | 那太荒谬了 |
[17:12] | Have you ever heard the term racial profiling? | 你听说过“种族形象定性”这个词吗? |
[17:15] | Yes. | 嗯 |
[17:15] | Could you explain it to us? | 你能给我们解释一下吗? |
[17:17] | It’s making assumptions about whether or not someone is a suspect based on their race. | 警察根据人的种族来判断是否有人是嫌疑犯 |
[17:22] | Have you ever used racial profiling in you position as a police officer? | 你在作为一个警官的时候,你曾经据此办案吗? |
[17:25] | If you look closely, you will see that I am black. | 如果你仔细观察的话,你会看到我就是个黑人 |
[17:28] | Thanks you. | 谢谢你 |
[17:29] | Have you ever made derogatory remarks about any ethnic or racial group? | 你对任何民族或种族有过贬损言论吗? |
[17:33] | No. | 没有 |
[17:34] | Not even your own? | 甚至包括你自己的? |
[17:35] | No. | 没有 |
[17:36] | Is that the truth Mr. Armstrong? | Armstrong先生,这是真的吗? |
[17:38] | Yes it is. | 是的 |
[17:40] | Your honor, at this time the commonwealth would like to call a rebuttal witness. | 法官大人,州政府要传唤一名反驳证人 |
[17:46] | Hillary Pope? | Hillary Pope? |
[17:47] | She’s an ex-girlfriend. We lived together till about 3 years ago. | 她是我以前的女友 我们在一起大概生活了3年 |
[17:51] | When’s the last time you spoke to her? | 你最后一次和她说话是什么时候? |
[17:52] | Well we speak every once in a while, we split on okay terms. | 我们偶尔聊聊天 我们是好合好散的 |
[17:55] | Well, Craig she must have something to say. | 好吧,Craig,她一定有什么要说的 |
[17:57] | Did you talk to her about the shooting? | 你和她谈过这次枪击案吗? |
[17:58] | Yes but I told her the same thing I told everyone else, | 是的,但是我跟她说的和跟别人说的是一样的 |
[18:01] | I told her what happened. | 我告诉她发生了什么 |
[18:02] | You never said “God what have I done” or “I’ve made a big mistake.” | 你从没有说过“上帝呀,我做了什么” 或者“我犯了一个大错” |
[18:05] | I was upset about it, I told her that, | 我跟她说,我很难过 |
[18:07] | but I didn’t admit to being wrong or anything. | 但是我没有承认我做错了什么 |
[18:09] | Okay what about this racial profiling issue? | 好的,关于种族形象定性问题呢 |
[18:11] | Did you ever talk to her about that? | 你曾经和她谈起过这些吗? |
[18:13] | No. | 没有 |
[18:15] | What’s going on Rebecca? What are they doing? | 发生了什么?Rebecca?他们在做什么? |
[18:20] | I don’t know, but we’ll find out soon enough. | 我不知道,我们很快就知道了 |
[18:41] | You ready? It’s a quarter to 8. | 你准备好了吗?差一刻8点 |
[18:43] | I’m ready. | 好了 |
[18:47] | I’m sorry this has been so much trouble. | 抱歉,这事太惹麻烦了 |
[18:49] | I never, it’s just | 我从没有,只是。。。 |
[18:51] | She’s a friend and you need sex. | 她是你的朋友,而且你需要性爱 |
[18:54] | Please don’t make fun of me. | 别拿我开玩笑了 |
[18:56] | This case, is it pushing a button that I can’t see? | 这个案子,是不是在按下一个我看不见的按钮? |
[19:00] | Maybe. | 或许 |
[19:02] | I think when a couple splits up I feel threatened by it. | 当一对儿夫妻分手,我想我会从中感到一种威胁 |
[19:06] | That marriage doesn’t work. | 婚姻关系是脆弱的 |
[19:08] | Well if your friend’s marriage was truly broken up by a cigar, | 嗯,如果你朋友的婚姻真能被一只雪茄破坏 |
[19:13] | I wouldn’t point to it as an example of the institution. | 我可不把它当成这个体制的一个范例 |
[19:16] | They had a really strong marriage, Bobby, for so long, and then poof. | 他们有很牢固的婚姻基础,Bobby, 时间也很长,但是噗的一下。。。 |
[19:22] | He lit up? | 他点燃了? |
[19:23] | Yes. She had a baby, she couldn’t drop the weight, she got fat and he switched to a cigar. | 是呀,她有了孩子,她减不了肥,她变胖了, 然后他就把兴趣转到雪茄上了 |
[19:30] | Will that be your argument in court? | 这就将是你在法庭上的观点吗? |
[19:32] | No. | 不 |
[19:35] | I still want to make love to you, and I’m not going to switch to a cigar. | 我还是想和你做爱 并且我不打算换成雪茄 |
[19:42] | If the passion’s eroding even before we walk down the aisle | 是否甚至在我们结婚前,激情就逐渐消失 |
[19:45] | My passion isn’t eroding. | 我的激情不会消退的 |
[19:51] | Promise? | 你保证? |
[19:52] | Promise. | 保证 |
[20:03] | My parents had a perfect marriage right up until my father left. | 直到我父亲离开前,我父母都有一个完美的婚姻 |
[20:10] | Their marriage wasn’t perfect Lindsay, they were just sheltering you from it, you know that. | 他们的婚姻并不完美,Lindsay, 他们只是在保护你,你知道吗? |
[20:16] | I think I’m anxious to blame those cigars myself in this case, | 我想这个案子里,我自己是急于把责任归咎于那些雪茄 |
[20:21] | because I don’t want to believe that people just stop loving each other. | 因为我不愿相信人们不再彼此相爱了 |
[20:34] | We lived together for 2 years from 1994-1996. | 我们在一起生活了2年,从1994-1996年 |
[20:38] | Ms. Pope, during the course of your relationship | Pope小姐,在你们相处的时期 |
[20:40] | did the defendant ever express any feelings about African-Americans? | 被告表达过有关对非裔美国人的看法吗? |
[20:45] | Sometimes. He’d use derogatory names. | 有时。他会用贬义的名字 |
[20:48] | The “N” word. | 字母N开头的 |
[20:50] | All right, occasionally people will use derogatory terms | 好吧,偶尔人们会亲切和非恶意地使用有关他们自己种族的贬义词 |
[20:54] | about people of their own race affectionately and not maliciously. | 有关他们自己种族的贬义词 |
[20:58] | Are you sure that wasn’t what was going on? | 你确定不是那样的吗? |
[21:01] | I know what you’re talking about. | 我知道他在说什么 |
[21:02] | When Craig Armstrong called someone a nigger, | 当Craig Armstrong称呼某人是黑鬼的时候 |
[21:05] | he meant it in the way it was originally intended. | 他就是本意 |
[21:08] | Objection! Foundation. | 反对!依据? |
[21:09] | The foundation is she lived with him. | 依据就是她和他一起生活 |
[21:11] | It’s also inflammatory | 这也是有煽动性的 |
[21:12] | – and prejudicial and it has nothing to do – She is more than competent to give testimony | -和有偏见的,这什么也说明不了 -她是最有资格提供 |
[21:15] | as to the defendant’s state of mind. | 被告精神状态方面证词的 |
[21:16] | All right. I’m allowing the testimony. | 好了,我许可这些证词 |
[21:19] | Ms. Washington, you’re free to cross examine, please sit. | Washington小姐,你可以在交叉质询时候发问,请坐 |
[21:26] | When your ex-boyfriend spoke this way was there a context? | 你的前男友在什么背景下说这些的? |
[21:30] | He was usually winding down at the end of the day. | 他通常在每天很晚的时候就放松下来 |
[21:33] | He’d talk about all the shiftless niggers | 他会谈到没出息的黑鬼 |
[21:35] | he had to roust or all the welfare Jemimas with their litters of kids. | 他不得不驱散welfare Jemimas和她那一群孩子 |
[21:39] | He called them litters like dogs. | 他把他们称为一窝狗 |
[21:41] | That’s a lie! | 扯谎! |
[21:43] | Officer Armstrong, sit down! | Armstrong警官,坐下! |
[21:48] | Did Officer Armstrong to your knowledge | 据你所知,Armstrong警官 |
[21:50] | ever make these kind of derogatory remarks about white people? | 对于白人说过这些贬损的话吗? |
[21:54] | No he did not. | 他没有说过 |
[21:56] | So when Mr. Armstrong made these comments you said he made, | 那么,当Armstrong警官说这些据你说是他说过的言论时 |
[22:00] | how did you respond to them? | 你对这些话的反应如何? |
[22:01] | I didn’t say anything. | 我没说什么 |
[22:02] | You never said anything? | 你从没说什么? |
[22:05] | You didn’t say please don’t use those ugly words when referring to black people? | 你没有说:请不要在谈论黑人的时候用这些丑陋的词语? |
[22:09] | No. | 没有 |
[22:10] | So for 2 years you lived with Mr. Armstrong | 你和Armstrong警官一起生活两年 |
[22:13] | making derogatory remarks about African-Americans | 他对非洲裔美国人说些贬义话 |
[22:16] | and you never said anything? | 你却什么也没说? |
[22:18] | If his comments were so offensive, why’d you stay with him? | 如果他的言论如此无礼,你为什么还和他呆在一起? |
[22:21] | He wasn’t abusive to me, and eventually I did leave him. | 他又不是在骂我 况且最终我离开了他 |
[22:24] | Did you report any of this to Officer Armstrong’s superiors? | 你有没有向阿姆斯壮警官的上级汇报过? |
[22:29] | No. | 没有 |
[22:29] | But we should believe you now? | 我们应该相信你吗? |
[22:31] | I’m telling the truth. | 我说的是事实 |
[22:32] | Or maybe you saw your ex-boyfriend on TV | 也许你在电视上看到你前男友 |
[22:35] | and thought you could really stick it to him one last time. | 所以你想你可以最后一次去报复他 |
[22:37] | Objection. | 反对 |
[22:39] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[22:40] | Did the police come to you or did you go to them? | 警察来讯问你,还是你去找警察? |
[22:43] | I went to them. | 我去找他们的 |
[22:47] | Why? | 为什么? |
[22:51] | Because I think Craig might be quick to pull the trigger on a black person | 因为我认为Craig很快就会对黑人扣动扳机 |
[22:54] | he happened on in a convenience store. | 果然就在一家便利店里发生了 |
[23:02] | I specifically asked did she have anything to say on racial profiling. | 我特别问她在种族歧视方面有什么要说的吗? |
[23:05] | I never said the stuff she said I did. | 我从来没有说过那些话 |
[23:07] | Why would she lie? | 她为什么要撒谎? |
[23:08] | I don’t know! | 我不知道! |
[23:09] | Maybe that’s how she heard it, but I never said it like that. | 也许她就是这么听说的 但我从来没有说过 |
[23:13] | Did you call black women Jemimas and their children litters of kids? | 你是那样称呼黑人妇女Jemimas和她的孩子们吗? |
[23:16] | It wasn’t like that! | 不是那样的! |
[23:17] | Well how was it like? | 那是怎么样的? |
[23:21] | How was it like! | 到底是怎么样的? |
[23:23] | Come on, you’re a defense attorney Rebecca! | 来吧,你可是辩护律师呀,Rebecca! |
[23:25] | We deal with the same scum. | 我们是在应付这些人渣 |
[23:26] | I do not think of human beings as scum. If you do | 我可不认为应把人看成人渣,如果你这样做 |
[23:30] | Hey have you ever been out there? | 嘿,你平时不出门吗? |
[23:32] | It’s a tough job. | 警察这工作很难 |
[23:33] | After a while it’s hard to sympathize with people who are smoking crack, | 要不了多长时间,你就很难去同情那些吸毒的, |
[23:37] | or boosting VCR’s or shooting children. | 偷窃录像机的,或者。。。 |
[23:39] | Sympathize with black people? | 同情黑人? |
[23:40] | You going to tell me that when you see a news teaser for some awful crime, | 你来告诉我,当你在看到有关可怕犯罪的新闻预告时 |
[23:44] | you don’t say a silent prayer that it’s not one of us? | 你难道不默默祈祷以求不是我们中的一个吗? |
[23:46] | And when you see that it is Rebecca, do you sympathize or are you disgusted? | 当你看到这些,Rebecca,你是同情还是反感? |
[23:52] | Neither. I’m in pain. It hurts. | 都不是,我感到痛心,伤心 |
[23:56] | Look, it’s theses criminals that make us look bad! | 看来,是这些罪行使我们看起来很坏! |
[23:59] | And that’s why I sometimes blow off steam in the privacy of my own home. | 也就是为什么我有时在自己家的隐私环境中发泄牢骚 |
[24:05] | Make us look bad to who? White folks? | 使我们看起来对谁显得很坏?白人? |
[24:07] | All folks! | 所有人! |
[24:08] | Look, if you want to be lumped in with those animals out there, that’s fine. | 听着,如果你想和那些动物在一起,那很好。 |
[24:12] | Animals? | 动物? |
[24:12] | Yes, some people act like animals and they deserve the same amount of respect. | 是的,是的,有些人表现得像动物,他们应该得到同样多的尊重。 |
[24:18] | That’s all I was saying to Hillary. Nothing more. | 这就是我对Hillary说的。没有更多的了。 |
[24:22] | Did you take one look at Will Bradley and think he was one of those animals? | 你是不是一眼看上去就认为Will Bradley是属于那些动物中的一员 |
[24:26] | It was a clean shoot Rebecca. | 这是在清除人渣,Rebecca |
[24:30] | Do you hear yourself? | 你听到自己说什么了吗? |
[24:34] | I don’t know who you are anymore. | 我都认不出你了 |
[24:36] | I’m somebody that wanted to get out of the neighbourhood just as bad as you! | 我和你一样,想离开黑人街区 |
[24:41] | Look at you, you’re a lawyer, you made it. | 看看你,你是个律师,你做到了 |
[24:49] | Well so did I. | 我也是 |
[24:51] | Yeah, and you returned one of the white cops we grew up with. | 哼,你却变成了一个那种伴随我们长大的白人警察了 |
[25:03] | All right. Look, | 好吧,听着, |
[25:05] | if we can still plead this out, you have to let us try. | 如果我们仍然要申辩,你就让我们放手试试吧 |
[25:17] | I would hardly consider a cigar the doom of my marriage. | 我很难认为一只雪茄注定了我婚姻的末日 |
[25:20] | Can you tell us what it was? | 你能告诉我们是什么吗? |
[25:23] | Mainly we stopped communicating. | 主要是停止了交流 |
[25:25] | It may sound like the old cliche, but we drifted apart. | 听起来可能是老生常谈,但我们逐渐疏远了 |
[25:28] | Eventually the estrangement left us both feeling rather isolated, and then | 最终,疏远使我们两人都感到很孤独,然后 |
[25:34] | Then what? | 然后怎么样? |
[25:36] | I met somebody else. I fell in love | 我遇到了别人,我有了外遇 |
[25:39] | And it was after you met this other woman? | 那是在你遇见别的女人之后? |
[25:41] | We filed for divorce shortly after. | 我们不久就提出离婚 |
[25:44] | At some point during your estrangement you began smoking cigars? | 在你们疏远期间的某个时候,你开始吸雪茄烟? |
[25:49] | Yes, but that | 是的,但是 |
[25:49] | Thank you. Are you addicted to them? | 谢谢,你上瘾了吗? |
[25:52] | Probably. | 或许是 |
[25:53] | How many do you smoke a day? | 你每天抽多少? |
[25:55] | 6 or 7. | 6到7根 |
[25:57] | How’s your professional life at the moment? | 你那时的职业状况如何? |
[25:59] | Is that what you’re telling them? | 你这些也跟她们说了? |
[26:00] | – I didn’t tell her anything. -Mr. Pinkner,please direct your responses to me. | -我什么也没她说 -Pinkner先生,请直接回答我的问题 |
[26:06] | How’s your professional life? | 你的职业状况如何? |
[26:07] | It’s not good. | 不怎么样 |
[26:09] | I was laid off as a senior accountant 11 months ago. | 11个月前我被解除高级会计师的职位 |
[26:12] | Now I’m employed as a junior accountant. | 现在我是初级会计师职位 |
[26:15] | Less money? | 工资少了? |
[26:17] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:17] | Mr. Pinkner, according to your wife when you would argue over your smoking cigars, | Pinkner先生,据你太太说当你们在就吸烟问题争论的时候 |
[26:22] | you would say you like the way you feel. | 你会说你喜欢这种感觉 |
[26:25] | Could you explain that? | 你能解释一下吗? |
[26:26] | Well, a cigar means success. | 好吧,雪茄意味着成功 |
[26:31] | They’re expensive, they stand for victory. | 它们是昂贵的,它们代表着胜利 |
[26:34] | You look at these magazines, success. | 你看这些杂志,成功 |
[26:37] | You said something about flicking an ash? | 你说过一些有关弹烟灰的话? |
[26:40] | I, when I flick an ash it’s like, I dust off a problem. | 我,当我弹烟灰的时候,那就好像是,我甩掉了一些麻烦 |
[26:46] | Makes me powerful. | 让我变强 |
[26:49] | The more expensive the cigar, the more important I am. | 雪茄越贵,我就觉得自己越显贵 |
[26:53] | Why the cigar clubs, Mr. Pinkner? | 为什么要去雪茄俱乐部呢?Pinkner先生 |
[26:55] | I don’t know. | 我说不清 |
[26:56] | The exclusivity of it, it makes you feel like somebody. | 它的排他性,使你感觉像是某个人 |
[27:01] | Sitting, talking with men. I liked it. | 坐在那里,和别人交谈,我喜欢 |
[27:10] | I’m still so confused, where are you going with all this? | 我还是很疑惑 你现在弄的都是些什么呀? |
[27:13] | One more meeting, I just need to do a little research. | 再碰一次面 我需要做一点研究 |
[27:15] | Bobby, hi. If I could get you to sit in, that’d be great, show of strength. | Bobby,嗨,如果你也坐在那儿, 就太好了,可以显示力量 |
[27:19] | The meeting’s at 3. | 3点钟有个会 |
[27:20] | You won’t have to do anything, just back me up when necessary. | 你什么也不用做, 只在必须的时候做我的后援 |
[27:22] | I’ll be back in an hour and a half. | 我一个半小时后回来 |
[27:24] | Lucy, could you straighten up the conference room? | Lucy,你能收拾一下会议室吗? |
[27:27] | Do you know where she’s headed with this? | 你知道她干什么去了? |
[27:29] | Not really but I guess we’ll find out. | 确实不知道,不过我想很快就会知道 |
[27:36] | Come on, you put reckless on the table Helen. | 得了吧,Helen, 你已经把鲁莽(行为定罪的交易条件)摆在桌面了 |
[27:39] | That was before you made me try it. I’m not pleading out now. | 那都在你逼得我上庭之前的事 我现在可不会恳求你了 |
[27:41] | Look, you know at most this guy was overzealous, he is certainly | 好了,你知道这家伙最多也就是过分热心了, 他一定是 |
[27:44] | Look Ellenor, I put the offer out there and you said no, | Ellenor,我曾经提出过这个交易,可是你说的不 |
[27:47] | you can’t have it both ways. | 你不能啥都占着 |
[27:48] | We have grounds for unfair surprise anyways, why not bank your conviction? | 我们有理由认为是受到了不公平突袭, |
[27:52] | Sorry. | 拉倒吧 |
[27:54] | You’ve been hanging around Richard Bay too long. | 你在Richard Bay身边呆得太久了 |
[27:56] | Ouch. | 我去. |
[27:59] | Well, you got any ideas Rebecca? | 那么,你有啥主意?Rebecca |
[28:07] | His juvie record. | 他的犯罪前科 |
[28:09] | Excuse me. | 什么? |
[28:10] | The victim, Craig said he had a long juvie record. | 受害者,Craig说那孩子有一长串犯罪前科 |
[28:12] | It shouldn’t be sealed anymore. | 那不应该再被保密了 |
[28:14] | Does the seal survive death? | 人死了,还要保密吗? |
[28:16] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么认为 |
[28:17] | Let’s go get him. | 让我们去搞到这些记录 |
[28:19] | You want to put the victim on trial? | 你打算审判受害者? |
[28:21] | We just want to introduce his priors. | 我们只想介绍他的前科。 |
[28:23] | Why? | 为什么? |
[28:24] | Our client made a judgement call your honor, | 法官大人,我的客户凭借他在这行九年的经验 |
[28:26] | a judgement based on 9 years of experience in the field. | 做出了一个判断 |
[28:29] | Mr. Bradley has a pretty extensive juvenile criminal record, | Bradley先生的少年犯罪记录则包罗万象 |
[28:32] | including being a suspect in a murder. | 包括一次凶杀案嫌疑 |
[28:34] | What are you saying? | 你在说什么呀? |
[28:35] | That your client knows one when he sees one? | 你那客户看到一个人就能知道他做过什么? |
[28:38] | Well in essence, yes. | 是的,实际上就是这样 |
[28:39] | Oh, please shoot away. | 噢,那就开枪把他突突了吧 |
[28:40] | The kid was a suspected murdered. The jury should be allowed to hear that. | 这孩子是凶杀嫌犯, 陪审团应该被允许听到这些 |
[28:44] | You know this is absolutely ridiculous. | 你知道这太荒谬了 |
[28:46] | The only relevance here goes to state of mind. | 这里唯一有关联的是精神状态 |
[28:49] | And he did not know the victim was a murder suspect when he opened fire. | 但他开枪时他并不知道那孩子是一个凶杀嫌犯 |
[28:53] | He had the opportunity to observe his demeanor. | 他有机会观察到他的举止 |
[28:56] | Nice try but forget it. | 很好的尝试,但是算了吧 |
[28:57] | The victim’s priors do not come in. | 受害人的过往不能被涉及 |
[28:59] | Your honor | 法官大人 |
[29:00] | No chance. Any more witnesses? | 没可能!还有别的证人吗? |
[29:04] | No. | 没了 |
[29:07] | Closing arguments, 3:30. | 结案陈词,3:30 |
[29:12] | So now what? | 现在怎么办? |
[29:13] | We argue the elements. You still have a shot. | 我们进行抗辩,你还有机会 |
[29:16] | The jury believed you, and you’re home. | 如果陪审团相信你,你就能回家 |
[29:18] | This kid was bad. | 这孩子够坏的 |
[29:19] | He had 2 aggravated assaults, murder charge got kicked because of a bad search. | 两次严重的袭击,因为无效搜查而导致谋杀指控驳回 |
[29:24] | Oh my god, I knew the man this kid killed. | 噢,天呀,我认识这个被杀的人 |
[29:28] | Craig, it was Gavin Page. Remember he lived on our street he was this tall guy | Craig,是Gavin Page,还记得吗, 那个和我们住在一条街上的高个子 |
[29:40] | What? | 怎么了? |
[29:41] | You were close with Gavin Page. | 我们和Gavin Page关系很好 |
[29:46] | When was the last time you saw him? | 你最后一次见到他是什么时候? |
[29:55] | Oh my god! | 噢,我的天 |
[29:58] | Oh my god what? | 我的天什么呀? |
[30:00] | This shooting wasn’t a mistake was it Craig? | 这次枪击不是一个错误,是吗?Craig |
[30:04] | This Bradley kid shot your friend, got kicked because of a bad search. | Bradley那孩子杀了你的朋友, 因为无效搜查而免罪 |
[30:11] | You executed him. | 你处决了他 |
[30:13] | Clean shoot. | |
[30:15] | You’re a murderer! | 你是个谋杀犯 |
[30:17] | Clean shoot. | |
[30:20] | The reason the store owner saw no gun, he had no gun. | 店主没有看到枪的原因,是因为本来就没有枪 |
[30:25] | You planted it on him after the kid went down. | 你放在他身上的 |
[30:33] | Clean shoot. | |
[30:49] | I grew up with the man, I loved him even. | 我和他一起长大,我也曾爱过他 |
[30:55] | Rebecca, you hadn’t seen him in over 10 years. | Rebecca,你10年多没见过他了 |
[30:58] | But when you know somebody, you know somebody. | 但是当你曾经认识一个人,你会了解他 |
[31:02] | I can’t believe | 我不能相信 |
[31:04] | We just put our best faces on and do the job. | 我们只要在工作上展现我们最好的一面 |
[31:07] | That’s what they taught us in law school, remember? | 这是在法学院学到的,记得吗? |
[31:09] | Legal ethics class? We just | 法律伦理课程?我们只要。。。 |
[31:11] | I’m not sure I can close. | 我不确定我能做结案陈词 |
[31:18] | Look, if you feel you’ll be too emotional about it, | 如果你觉得对此太情绪化了 |
[31:21] | I suppose I can do it but it should probably be you. | 我想我可以做,但也许应该是你来做 |
[31:26] | Why? | 为什么? |
[31:28] | Because you’re black. | 因为你是黑人 |
[31:29] | And in the wake of this racial profiling thing, | 由于那个“种族形象定性”问题, |
[31:32] | we need a black attorney to stand up there and close. | 我们需要一个黑人律师来进行结案陈词 |
[31:34] | It’ll help, Rebecca, let’s not kid ourselves. | 这会有帮助的,丽贝卡,我们别自欺欺人了。 |
[31:39] | Our best chance at acquittal is you. | 我们获得无罪宣判的最好机会就是你。 |
[31:43] | That’s what we’re supposed to be going for, right? | 这就是我们应该做的,对吧? |
[31:47] | An acquittal? | 无罪宣判? |
[31:54] | Now I have already given you way more time than this case deserves, | 现在我已经给了你比这案子所应得的更多的时间 |
[31:59] | and I’m at the point of instructing counsel to bring an action against you for abuse of process. | 我现在正要指示律师对你滥用诉讼程序而提起诉讼 |
[32:02] | That’s not going to happen, Mr. Stewart. | 那不会发生的,Stewart先生 |
[32:05] | Do you really think I’m going to pay your client money? | 哼,你真的以为我会给你的客户赔钱吗? |
[32:08] | A broken marriage because her husband smokes cigars? | 因为她丈夫吸烟导致了离婚? |
[32:11] | Do I look like the idiot of the new millennium to you? | 我看起来像是千禧年的傻瓜吗? |
[32:14] | No, I see signs of intelligence, and that’s why you will settle this case. | 不像 |
[32:20] | You may think we have a lousy claim, Mr. Stewart, | Stewart先生,你可能认为我们的索赔很恶劣 |
[32:23] | but we’ll survive summary judgement, and here’s why. | 但我们会赢下即决判决,原因是: |
[32:26] | It’s foreseeable that cigar smoking can breed contempt between men and women. | 吸烟会引起男女之间的鄙视,是可以预见的 |
[32:30] | And when you promote institutions like cigar clubs, | 当你推广像雪茄俱乐部这样的机构时, |
[32:33] | which serve to segregate husbands and wives, | 会造成夫妻间的彼此隔离 |
[32:35] | it’s foreseeable that it could lead to some marital estrangement. | 可以预见,这会导致一些婚姻上的隔阂 |
[32:39] | When you publish magazines that seduce men with imagery of success and affluence | 当你出版杂志, 用吸着cohiba雪茄的成功和富足的形象 |
[32:43] | that go along with smoking a cohiba, | 引诱男人的时候, |
[32:45] | it’s foreseeable that some men will fall for it, | 有些男人会上当,这是可以预见的 |
[32:47] | especially men like Mr. Pinkner, | 特别是像Pinkner先生这样的男人 |
[32:49] | who by his own testimony started smoking just because it made him feel good. | 他作证说他开始吸烟就是因为那使他感觉很好 |
[32:52] | Made him feel commensurate with the lustre of your magazine. | 使他感到与杂志上表现出的光彩相称 |
[32:55] | Will that survive judgement? Probably not. | 这个论点在庭审中有效吗?未必 |
[32:58] | Will we survive summary judgement? Yes. | 用在即决判决中呢?可以! |
[33:01] | But when we get to trial, you can be sure we’ll be playing the addiction card. | 但是如果我们上庭,你肯定知道我们会打出嗜瘾牌 |
[33:04] | Mr. Pinkner had no choice but to smoke there things once he became addicted. | Pinkner先生一旦上了瘾,他除了吸烟没有别的选择 |
[33:08] | Do we like that word? | 我们喜欢这个说法吗? |
[33:09] | Addicted, addicted, addicted. | 嗜瘾,嗜瘾,嗜瘾 |
[33:12] | And we certainly don’t want any forum asking that question, do we Mr. Stewart? | 我们当然不希望任何公众讨论涉及这个问题, 是吧?Stewart先生 |
[33:16] | Because it still remains the dirty little secret of the cigar manufacturers. | 因为这仍然是烟草厂商的肮脏的小秘密 |
[33:20] | The Attorney General’s of every state target cigarette companies, | 各个州的律师们都盯着烟草公司 |
[33:23] | you don’t see characters on TV smoking Pall Malls anymore. | 你看不到电视上的人物在吸Pall Malls香烟了 |
[33:27] | But with cigars, they still remain untouched. | 但是雪茄烟,还没有被触及 |
[33:30] | Trendy, politically correct. | 时髦的,政治立场正确的 |
[33:32] | The idea that that could change, | 这个想法会改变的 |
[33:34] | billions and billions of dollars, addicted, addicted, addicted. | 数以十亿计的美元,嗜瘾,嗜瘾,嗜瘾 |
[33:38] | This law firm beat the tobacco companies once with cigarettes, | 这家事务所曾经打败过一家烟草公司 |
[33:41] | I’m all set to take you on here. | 我完全准备好了和你们干一场 |
[33:43] | Cancer of the lip, tongue, throat, larynx, esophagus, | 唇癌、舌癌、喉癌、喉癌、食道癌 |
[33:47] | pulmonary lung disease, coronary heart disease | 肺疾病,冠心病 |
[33:49] | all of these risks come into play in this case. Why? | 所有这些风险在这种情况下都起作用。为什么? |
[33:53] | Because my client testified that her health concerns attributed to the arguments | 因为我的当事人作证说她对健康的关注 |
[33:57] | that led to the estrangement. | 是源自于那些导致隔阂的争论 |
[33:58] | Fear of cancer is an issue. | 对癌症的恐惧是一回事 |
[34:00] | Were her fears reasonable? Question of fact. | 她的恐惧是合理的吗?事实问题 |
[34:03] | You people peddle carcinogens. | 你们这些人兜售致癌物质 |
[34:05] | Toxic little cancer sticks with carbon monoxide, nicotine, hydrogen cyanide, | 有毒的小肿瘤附着一氧化碳、尼古丁、氰化氢 |
[34:09] | and people still think it’s cool. | 人们仍然认为它很酷 |
[34:11] | By the time this trial is over, I will make you seem so uncool. | 到审判结束时,我会让你看起来很衰 |
[34:13] | And I’ll get the attention, you know why? | 我会引起关注的,你知道为什么吗? |
[34:15] | Because I have a track record already of beating the tobacco companies. | 因为我已经有了一个击败烟草公司的记录 |
[34:18] | All the law journals are waiting to see who I take on next. | 所有的法律杂志都在等着看我下一个干掉谁。 |
[34:21] | It’s you. | 就是你们 |
[34:22] | So keep laughing, make my day. It’s you. | 所以继续笑吧,让我开心每一天的,就是你 |
[34:38] | He saw what he thought was a gun. | 他看到了他认为是枪的东西 |
[34:40] | What was he supposed to do? | 那他应该做什么? |
[34:41] | Even the store owner was going after his own rifle, | 连店主都在找自己的枪 |
[34:44] | he thought he was about to be robbed. | 他以为他要被抢劫了 |
[34:47] | You heard my clients testominy. | 你们听到了我客户的证词 |
[34:49] | That was a mistake, he saw Will Bradley reach for his gun! | 那是个错误,他看见Will Bradley伸手去拿枪 |
[34:56] | The Victim never grabbed his gun. | 受害者没有拔出他的枪 |
[34:58] | It was found inside his jacket. | 在他的夹克里发现了那只枪 |
[35:01] | We also heard testimony from Mr. Armstrong’s former girlfriend. | 我们还听取了Armstrong先生前女友的证词。 |
[35:06] | She told us how this man would discriminate against some blacks. | 她告诉我们这个男人是如何歧视一些黑人的。 |
[35:10] | How he was prejudiced towards kids because of their colour, poverty. | 还有他是如何因为肤色和贫穷而歧视那些孩子 |
[35:14] | He walked into the store, made a judgement and started shooting. | 他走进商店,作出了判断,开始射击。 |
[35:20] | And there was no evidence to suggest that. None. | 但没有证据表明她说的那些。没有 |
[35:23] | And nobody in the department ever heard him say the things he ex-girlfriend says he said. | 他前女友说他说过的那些言论,他的同事中没有人听他说过 |
[35:29] | Because he never said them. | 因为他从来也没有说过 |
[35:32] | What would be her motive to lie? | 那她撒谎的动机是什么? |
[35:34] | A lot of trouble to go to just because of hurt feelings. | 仅仅因为感情上有些伤害就惹来这么多麻烦? |
[35:37] | What would be Mr. Armstrong’s motive to shoot? | Armstrong先生开枪的动机是什么? |
[35:40] | The commonwealth has offered no motive whatsoever here. Why? | 联邦在这里没有提供任何动机。为什么? |
[35:44] | Because this was an accident. | 因为这就是一个事故 |
[35:46] | This is a police officer sitting at that table | 这就是坐在那张桌子上的警官 |
[35:53] | A good man who thought he was preventing a robbery, | 一个以为自己是在制止抢劫的好人 |
[35:59] | and let’s ask ourselves, why did Will Bradley have that gun? | Will Bradley为什么带着枪? |
[36:03] | Let’s ask ourselves, if Craig Armstrong hadn’t come in, | 我们自问一下 如果Craig Armstrong没进来 |
[36:08] | what would have happened? | 会发生什么? |
[36:10] | Maybe the store owner would be dead. | 没准店主就死了 |
[36:14] | So easy for us to second guess. | 第二个推测也很容易 |
[36:17] | This happened in a second, and Craig Armstrong had to make a quick call. | 这发生在瞬间,Craig Armstrong做出了一个快速的决定 |
[36:22] | And he just opened fire, that’s the call he made. | 他开了枪,这是他做出的决定 |
[36:25] | He shot a man 3 times. The call he made was murder. | 他连开三枪 他做的这个决定是谋杀 |
[36:30] | Now do we just excuse that because he’s a cop? | 我们现在能因为他是个警察局就原谅他吗? |
[36:35] | That’s your call.、 | 那是你们要决定的。。。 |
[36:46] | 270,000 dollars. | 27万美金 |
[36:50] | What did you say? | 你说什么? |
[36:52] | Minus contingency and costs, you’ll net out around 175 or so. | 减去意外支出和成本 你净得大约17万5千的样子 |
[36:56] | How? I don’t understand. You all but assured me I had no case. | 是吗?我不理解 你们几乎让我确信这打不了官司 |
[37:01] | You didn’t! | 你是打不了官司 |
[37:03] | But that’s the thing about this business. | 但这事和生意有关 |
[37:05] | The merits of the actual case sometimes have nothing to do with the outcome. | 有时候事实如何跟事情的结果没有什么关系 |
[37:10] | My god. | 我的天哪 |
[37:13] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[37:17] | Lindsay, can we sue her? | Lindsay,我们能起诉她吗? |
[37:21] | Who? | 谁? |
[37:21] | The woman he fell in love with, the other woman, she knew he was married | 他那个外遇,那个女人明知他是已婚的 |
[37:24] | Martha | Martha |
[37:25] | Alienation of affection, same cause of action. | 离间感情,同样的原因 |
[37:29] | I think you’re all out of people to sue on this one. | 我认为这事上不要再去起诉任何人了 |
[37:35] | You need to move on now. | 你需要看开些 |
[37:39] | What am I gonna do? | 我该干什么? |
[37:42] | Just go home with 175,000 dollars? | 带着175000美元回家? |
[37:48] | He’s gone, Martha. You have to move on. | 他离开了,Martha,你要向前看 |
[38:07] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[38:09] | Sure. | 不客气 |
[38:12] | Hey, you won. | 嘿,你赢了 |
[38:47] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[38:50] | Mr. Foreman, you have reached a unanimous verdict? | 首席陪审员先生,你们达成一致裁定了吗? |
[38:53] | We have your honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[38:54] | What say you? | 请宣布 |
[38:56] | In the matter of commonwealth versus Armstrong, | 联邦对Armstrong的二级谋杀罪的起诉 |
[38:59] | on the charge of murder 2, we find the defendant Craig Armstrong, | 我们裁决被告Craig Armstrong |
[39:03] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[39:05] | On the charge on manslaughter, we find the defendant not guilty. | 关于过失杀人罪的指控,我们裁决被告 无罪 |
[39:14] | Thanks you ladies and gentleman of the jury, this court is adjourned. | 谢谢陪审团的女士先生们,休庭 |
[39:23] | You did it! Thanks you. | 你做到了,谢谢你 |
[39:25] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[39:28] | Thanks you. | 谢谢 |
[39:30] | Congratulations Craig, you can go. | 祝贺你Craig,你可以走了 |
[39:38] | I can live with myself. | 我能独自生活 |
[39:41] | Well, that’s the difference between us I guess. | 好吧,我想这就是咱们俩之间的差别 |
[40:07] | Case is over, week is over, let’s go home. | 案子结束了,到周末了,我们回家吧 |
[40:12] | I’m ready. | 我行了 |
[40:13] | You’ve got everybody stunned Lindsay. | 你让所有人都大感意外,Lindsay |
[40:16] | How you manufactured that case, got them to pay money. | 你怎么弄出来这个案子的,逼得他们赔了钱 |
[40:19] | I know the fear of a trial scared them but still, | 我知道他们害怕庭审,不过 |
[40:22] | you sued a cigar company for breaking up a marriage! | 你指控一个烟草公司破坏婚姻! |
[40:26] | Yeah. | 哈 |
[40:29] | You don’t seem too thrilled for someone who just pulled a rabbit out of a hat. | 作为一个刚从帽子里拽出兔子的人来说,你并不显得太兴奋 |
[40:33] | You know what scare me bobby? | 你知道什么让我害怕吗?bobby? |
[40:36] | A cigar really did break them up. | 一只雪茄确实把他们分开了 |
[40:46] | They were a close couple. | 他们曾经是多亲密的一对儿 |
[40:48] | He lost his job, suffered some esteem problems, some depression. | 他丢掉了工作,他伤了自尊,有些沮丧 |
[40:52] | He bought a few of those silly cigar magazines and | 他买了几本愚蠢的雪茄烟杂志 |
[40:57] | saw the beautiful people in expensive clothes puffing away, | 看见那些穿着昂贵衣服的漂亮人在气吞云吐雾 |
[41:00] | and he basically tried to escape to that world, | 总的来说,他想通过抽雪茄和加入那些俱乐部 |
[41:03] | by smoking cigars and joining those clubs he | 逃到那个世界去 |
[41:08] | suddenly was in this universe that excluded , and they | 突然间,这个世界里没有了Martha,他们。。。 |
[41:13] | So you think the cigar company should really be held liable? | 那么你认为雪茄公司真的应该承担责任吗? |
[41:17] | No. I’m thinking | 不,我在想 |
[41:26] | How fragile marriage is. | 婚姻是多么脆弱 |
[41:29] | Lose a job, suffer depression, seek escpe. | 失去工作,患有抑郁症,寻求逃避 |
[41:36] | A loving couple? | 一对儿恩爱夫妻? |
[41:37] | And they were loving. I saw them. | 他们曾是相爱的,我看到的 |
[41:40] | I knew them. | 我了解他们 |
[41:45] | A house of cards. | |
[41:50] | I’m never going to stop loving you. | 我永远不会停止爱你 |
[41:55] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道呢? |
[41:59] | I’ve only just begun to love you. | 我才刚刚开始爱你。 |