时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previous on The Practice: | 前集回顾 |
[00:02] | Did you murder her because she was gonna break up a sexual affair? | 你是因为她要和你结束你们之间的风流韵事而谋杀她的吗? |
[00:05] | I did not have an affair with her and I did not kill her. | 我跟她没有私情,我也没有杀她 |
[00:08] | You’re going down for murder now, you get that? | 你要被当成谋杀犯了,你明白吗? |
[00:10] | It was Steven. | 是Steven做的 |
[00:11] | Your son Steven? | 你儿子Steven? |
[00:13] | I saw the door closed on him when he left. | 我看到他离开时关了门 |
[00:15] | Why haven’t you told anybody these? | 你为什么不告诉别人? |
[00:17] | Because I don’t want him to spend the rest of his life in jail | 因为我不希望是我使得他余生 |
[00:19] | for something I drove him to. | 都在监狱里渡过 |
[00:21] | Let me go to the DA. | 让我去找地检 |
[00:22] | Absolutely not. | 绝对不行 |
[00:23] | This is between you and me, you gave me your word. | 这是你我之间的事,你向我许诺过 |
[00:26] | We find the defendant guilty. | 我们裁定被告有罪 |
[00:31] | I didn’t do it. I didn’t do it. | 我没有做,我没有做 |
[00:35] | Your dad saw you going out the door. | 你父亲说看见你从门里出来 |
[00:39] | The reason he staying quiet 18 00:00:39,701 –> 00:00:41,744 he doesn’t wanna see you go to prison. | 他保持沉默的原因是 他不想看到你进监狱 |
[00:41] | He loves you too much for that. | 他非常爱你 |
[00:43] | Jimmy, what happened? | Jimmy,发生什么事了? |
[00:46] | Steven Olson, he just hung himself in the garage. | Steven Olson,他在车库上吊自杀了 |
[00:51] | You think I am gonna ask the judge to release a convicted murderer | 你觉得我会要求法官释放一个定了罪的凶手吗? |
[00:54] | on the grounds of his defence attorney says he is innocent? | 只是因为他的辩护律师说他是无辜的? |
[00:56] | I expect you to because he is innocent. | 因为他是无辜的,我希望你这么做 |
[00:59] | For all we know the kid hung himself because his father is a killer. | 我们所知道的是这孩子因为他父亲是个凶手而上吊自杀 |
[01:01] | That isn’t the case. | 不是那样的 |
[01:02] | Well give me evidence. | 那给我提供证据 |
[01:25] | Henry. Henry。 | |
[01:35] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[01:36] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[01:40] | What happened? | 发生什么了? |
[01:41] | They tried to rape me. | 他们试图鸡奸我 |
[01:46] | Inmates? | 囚犯们? |
[01:49] | Two of them. | 两个 |
[01:52] | I covered my ass. | 我护住了下面 |
[01:54] | But my face didn’t fare so well. | 但是我的脸遭殃了 |
[01:58] | Doctor say you’re ganna be okay. | 医生说你会好起来的 |
[02:01] | I want solitary, Jimmy. | 我想单独囚禁,Jimmy |
[02:03] | I don’t wanna be in the general population anymore. | 我再也不想呆在犯人堆里了 |
[02:08] | Can you get me solitary, Jimmy? | 您能让我单独囚禁吗?Jimmy? |
[03:03] | Richard, I wanna reopen the Henry Olson case. | Richard,我想重审Henry Olson的案子 |
[03:07] | On what grounds? | 基于什么理由? |
[03:08] | On the grounds he’s innocent. | 基于他是无辜的理由 |
[03:09] | Jimmy, I told you, bring me new evidence then I can do… | Jimmy,我跟你说过的, 给我出示一些新证据,我就能。。。 |
[03:12] | There is no new evidence, but that doesn’t change the truth. | 没有新的证据,但是那不会改变事实 |
[03:15] | The guy didn’t do it. | 那人没有犯罪 |
[03:17] | Okay, I got a pretrial, can we talk later? | 好吧,我有个预审,我们稍后再谈? |
[03:19] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[03:22] | Listen, if the DA goes forward… | 听着,如果地检启动。。。 |
[03:24] | That’s not gonna happen. | 那不可能 |
[03:25] | Why? Because of your conviction, right? | 为什么?因为你达成定罪了,对吧? |
[03:26] | Because I don’t believe he’s innocent. | 因为我不信他是无辜的 |
[03:28] | The case went to a verdict, the right man is serving time. | 这个案子经过了陪审团裁定,真正的罪犯正在服刑 |
[03:31] | I need a favor here. | 我需要你帮个忙 |
[03:34] | I am sorry, no. | 抱歉,不行 |
[03:38] | I filed a petition to reopen. | 我写了一个重新审理的申诉书 |
[03:40] | Clyde Miller, murder in the first degree. | Clyde Miller,一级谋杀指控 |
[03:43] | Hold on. | 等下 |
[03:45] | Richard Bay for the Commonwealth, Your Honour, | Richard Bay代表联邦政府,法官大人 |
[03:47] | we oppose bail of any kind. | 我们反对任何形式的保释 |
[03:49] | The suspect is obviously a flight risk, not to mention… | 这个疑犯有明显的潜逃风险,更别说。。。 |
[03:51] | Is he represented? | 他有律师吗? |
[03:52] | **, we are waiting for somebody from the PD’s office. | 我们正在等公设律师办公室派人来 |
[03:57] | Mr. Berluti, come meet your new client. | Berluti先生,来见见你的新客户 |
[04:01] | I am not taking appointment today, Judge. | 我今天不接受任命,法官大人 |
[04:04] | Well I am afraid you are. | 恐怕你要接受 |
[04:05] | We’ll enter a not guilty for now. | 现在进入无罪辩护程序 |
[04:07] | Meet with Mr. Miller, then we’ll conference. | 和Miller先生谈一下,然后就正式开始 |
[04:09] | Your Honour, I can’t take… | 法官大人,我不能接受。。。 |
[04:10] | Are you in trial, Mr. Berluti? | 你现在在出庭吗?Berluti先生 |
[04:13] | No. but… | 不在,但是。。。 |
[04:13] | Then meet with Mr. Miller. | 去见见Miller先生 |
[04:15] | Next case. Please. | 下一个案子,谢谢 |
[04:16] | People versus Megan Baucher, solicitation and loitering. | 公众诉Megan Baucher,唆使和游荡 |
[04:28] | Can I get you some more coffee? | 我再给你们续一些咖啡吗? |
[04:31] | This is my third cup. Is Mr. Bradford not available? | 这是我第三杯了,Bradford先生还没空? |
[04:34] | He’s just finishing up a conference call. He will be right… | 他刚结束一个电话会议,他马上就。。。 |
[04:37] | He’s been finishing that call for some time. | 他那个电话会议已经开完一段时间了 |
[04:40] | We have other business scheduled for the day. | 我们今天还有别的安排 |
[04:42] | If he’s too busy… | 如果他这么忙的话。。。 |
[04:43] | I apologize. Thank you, Sheila. | 抱歉,谢谢你,Sheila |
[04:46] | I am sorry, Eugene, Rebecca. | 抱歉,Eugene, Rebecca. |
[04:48] | I have actually been conferencing with the insurance company and Doctor Stiles. | 我真是已经和保险公司和Stiles医生洽谈了 |
[04:52] | I pushed them up to 32, that’s as far as it’ll go. | 我逼着他们提到32了,这是他们的极限 |
[04:56] | Doctor Stiles is angry to be settling at all. | Stiles医生对此十分生气 |
[05:00] | 32? 32? | |
[05:01] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:03] | 32 thousand. | 3万2千 |
[05:05] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:07] | A man is dead; you’re offering 32 thousand dollars. | 一个男人死了,你赔3万2千美金 |
[05:10] | Well it’s not a question of the worth of the deceased, Eugene, | 这不是针对死者的估价问题,Eugene |
[05:13] | you know that, the issue is liability. | 我知道,这是责任问题 |
[05:15] | My client died on the doctor’s table. | 我的客户死在手术台上 |
[05:18] | Look, you and I could debate this **, we are never going to agree. | 听着,你和我可以争论这个问题 但我们永远不会同意 |
[05:24] | And my client is adamant, | 而且我的客户很固执 |
[05:26] | so, either we are going to end this at 32 thousand | 所以,要么我们3万2千彻底了结 |
[05:30] | or we are going to have to let the jury decide. | 要不就上法庭让陪审团来裁决 |
[05:34] | We will be letting the jury decide. | 我们将让陪审团来裁决 |
[05:48] | I didn’t know he was a rabbi, I swear I didn’t know. | 我不知道他是个拉比,我发誓我不知道 |
[05:50] | I understand this, but Clyde, | 我理解,但是,Clyde, |
[05:51] | whether you knew he was a Rabbi or not | 无论你知不知道他是一个拉比 |
[05:53] | it was still illegal for you to kill him | 你杀了他都是违法的 |
[05:55] | Is that mean they’re gonna get me like one of those hate crimes? | 这是不是意味着他们会作为那些仇视性罪犯之一? |
[05:58] | coz he’s Jewish, I get nailed with a hate crime? | 因为他是个犹太人,我就被钉在仇视性犯罪上了? |
[06:01] | Clyde, hate crime isn’t your worry; | Clyde。仇视性犯罪不是你该发愁的 |
[06:03] | you are up on first degree murder. | 你犯了一级谋杀罪 |
[06:05] | You hit a Rabbi over the head with a bat. | 你用球棒打了一个拉比的头 |
[06:07] | But don’t they gotta prove intent? My intent was to rob him. | 但他们不需要证明意图吗?我的意图只是想抢劫他。 |
[06:11] | This is prejudice. The Jewish, they get special treatment. | 这是偏见。犹太人,他们得到特殊待遇 |
[06:16] | You think Jews get special treatment on account | 你认为犹太人得到特殊待遇 |
[06:18] | you’re not being able to hit rabbis with bats? | 也不能因此就拿棒球棒去拍拉比的脑袋呀 |
[06:20] | I just meant to rob him. I was swinging him for a shoulder blade. | 我只是想抢他, |
[06:27] | I am begging you. | 我求你了 |
[06:28] | All right, I am Jewish,I really wanna take this off your hands. | 好吧,我是犹太人,我真的希望你能脱手 |
[06:31] | He’s not gonna hit you. | 他不会打你的 |
[06:32] | Forget it. | 拉倒吧 |
[06:33] | Lindsay. | Lindsay. |
[06:34] | I’ve got these depositions all week. | 我这周都得忙活这些证词 |
[06:35] | Oh, come on. | 噢,拜托了 |
[06:36] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[06:37] | I am going to court tomorrow, trying to reopen on Henry Olson. | 我明天要去法院,争取重审Henry Olson案 |
[06:40] | Judge just spanked me with a court appointed “lujack” | 法官强行指定给我一个“lujack” |
[06:42] | and nobody here would lend a hand | 这里没有人会伸出援助之手 |
[06:44] | after I just flew across country to help you. | 就在我横跨全国去支援你之后 |
[06:46] | -Jimmy, I can’t. I pinch all my case before me. -I am in a ** I need some assistance. | -Jimmy,我不行, -我。。我需要支援 |
[06:49] | All right, Ellenor, back him up. | 好吧,Ellenor,你支援他 |
[06:51] | -Why can’t Lindsay do it? -Why can I just give it to her? | -Lindsay为什么不行? -我为什么不能全交给她? |
[06:53] | Because it’s on the news, Jimmy. | 因为这事上新闻了,Jimmy. |
[06:55] | There is a big public outcry, have you been paying attention? | 公众强烈抗议,你注意了吗? |
[06:57] | Well, I got a motion to reopen on Henry Olson… | 好吧,我申请一个重审Henry Olson案的动议。。。 |
[06:59] | I will help on Olson, Ellenor. | 我会支援Henry Olson案,Ellenor. |
[07:06] | Basically they are still denying blame. | 总的来说,他们仍在拒绝担责 |
[07:09] | The doctor evidently is reluctant to settle at all. | 显然,医生根本不愿意和解。 |
[07:12] | So what happens now? | 那么现在情况如何 |
[07:14] | Well, we still schedule for trial tomorrow, | 我们仍然是安排明天出庭 |
[07:17] | you can either take the 32 which… | 你还可以选择去接受3万2千元。。。 |
[07:22] | Well, our cost right now are running over 14, | 噢,我们现在的开销已经不止1万4了 |
[07:25] | so that plus the contingency, you get about 11. | 所以加上风险代理费用,你大概可以得到1万1 |
[07:30] | 11 thousand dollars? | 1万1千美元? |
[07:33] | You make out better than us. | 你比我们算得清楚 |
[07:35] | Between my time and Eugene’s, | 算上我和Eugene工时 |
[07:37] | we’ve got over 14 thousand investing in this case. | 我们在这案子上已经花费了一万四了 |
[07:39] | So, why are we even hesitating? Let’s go to trial. | 那,我们为什么还犹豫?让我们上庭吧 |
[07:42] | Mrs. Riley, I will be honest. | Riley夫人,老实说吧 |
[07:44] | This is a very tough case to win. | 这案子很难赢 |
[07:46] | Now I believe the doctor was negligent, but proving it… | 现在我相信这个医生是疏忽大意了,但要去证明这点。。。 |
[07:51] | I know 11 is not much, but I am sure you could use the money. | 我知道一万一千不算多,但是我确信这钱你用得上 |
[07:58] | Is there a woman that you love, Mr. Young? | Young先生,你有所爱的女人吗? |
[08:02] | Yes. | 有的 |
[08:04] | Well I’ll tell you, the day comes some doctor kills her, | 那么我问你,有一天她被医生害死了 |
[08:08] | the day comes you have to bury her, | 有一天你不得不埋葬她 |
[08:10] | I don’t think you’re gonna be walking away for 11 thousand dollars | 我不认为你会拿了一万一千元了事 |
[08:15] | whether you could use the money or not. | 不管你是不是需要那钱 |
[08:32] | How you doing? | 还好吗? |
[08:34] | Okay. | 还好 |
[08:36] | They’re letting me out tomorrow. | 他们明天让我回去 |
[08:38] | Did you get me isolation? | 你能让我隔离监禁吗? |
[08:42] | They stuck the guy who did this to you in a hole, Henry, so… | 他们把那个施暴的家伙关进小号了,Henry,所以。。。 |
[08:47] | They’ll be ** this, Jimmy. | 他们会。。。Jimmy |
[08:49] | I am a freak; I am the guy with the bug fetish. | 我是一个怪胎,我是一个有恋虫癖的家伙。 |
[08:54] | Okay, I’ll take care of it. | 好吧,我会去办的 |
[08:58] | Meantime, | 同时 |
[09:02] | I get a motion set tomorrow to reopen your case. | 我要发起一个申请重审的动议 |
[09:05] | Is there any chance? | 有机会吗? |
[09:08] | I don’t know. But I am gonna fight. | 我不知道,但我要去为之而战 |
[09:10] | I promise you, I am gonna fight. | 我向你保证,我会去为之而战 |
[09:18] | I… | 我。。。 |
[09:22] | I never told you how sorry I am that he took his life. | 我从未跟你说过,因为我使他结束了自己的生命 |
[09:31] | On account of me… | 我是多么歉疚 |
[09:35] | It was me. | 那是因为我 |
[09:36] | If I hadn’t confronted him | 如果我没有和他对质 |
[09:40] | which I had no legal right to do. | 我本没有合法权力去那么做的 |
[09:42] | Jimmy, consider who he had for a father. | Jimmy。考虑到他是为了一个父亲 |
[09:50] | You are a good man, Henry. | 你是个好人,Henry |
[09:52] | You’ve always been a good man. | 你一直是 |
[09:55] | Your son knew that. | 你孩子知道这一点 |
[10:01] | Yeah. | 是呀 |
[10:03] | I am gonna fight. | 我会去战斗 |
[10:25] | I used to date a Jewish girl. I am not prejudiced. | 我曾经和一个犹太女孩约会过,我没有偏见 |
[10:28] | I only hit the guy because he wouldn’t give me his money. | 我只打了那家伙,因为他不肯给我钱。 |
[10:31] | Clyde, will you get off the Jewish thing? | Clyde,你能别提犹太人这回事了吗? |
[10:33] | It don’t matter that the victim was Jewish, what matters is he’s dead. | 问题不在于被害人是犹太人,问题在于他死了 |
[10:37] | Oh… you don’t know what this is gonna do to my parents. | 哦。。。 你不知道这会对我的父母造成什么影响 |
[10:39] | They’re calling you a murderer, you think they would proud? | 他们说你是杀人犯,你认为他们会骄傲吗? |
[10:41] | All right, Jimmy. | 好了,Jimmy. |
[10:42] | Forget that he was a rabbi. | 忘掉那是个拉比吧 |
[10:45] | All right. | 好吧 |
[10:48] | Look, tell me what you were doing at the hour to begin with. | 这样吧,告诉我你一开始在做什么 |
[10:52] | I was high, I was waiting to mug somebody. | 我当时心情不错,等着想抢谁一把 |
[10:55] | But I wouldn’t hit any religion, I swear. | 但是我没有想去招惹任何教派,我发誓 |
[10:56] | Guard! | 警卫! |
[10:57] | Look, I am due in court in another matter, | 告诉你,我还要在法庭上处理另一件事 |
[11:00] | I am gonna come back after lunch. | 我们午饭后回来 |
[11:01] | Don’t talk to anybody, you hear me? | 不要跟任何人说话,听到了吗? |
[11:03] | Nobody. | 任何人 |
[11:04] | Fine, I am not a talker. | 好,我不是个演说家 |
[11:06] | You are a thinker. | 你是个思想家 |
[11:07] | Jimmy. | Jimmy. |
[11:08] | The guy’s got the IQ of a relief pitcher. | 这货的智商相当于一个替补投手 |
[11:12] | It was a birthday present. | 那是一件生日礼物 |
[11:14] | From you to your husband? | 你送给你丈夫的? |
[11:15] | Yes. He just couldn’t take being fat. | 是的,他不能再胖了 |
[11:18] | So as a birthday gift. | 那么作为一个生日礼物 |
[11:19] | I took him to Doctor Stiles to talk about lipo suction. | 我让他去找Stiles大夫谈谈抽脂的方法 |
[11:22] | And how did you hear of Doctor Stiles, Mrs. Riley? | 你是怎么知道Stiles医生的,Riley夫人 |
[11:25] | I saw his add. | 我看过他的报道 |
[11:26] | And when you went to see him? | 你什么时候去找他的? |
[11:28] | Everything was fine. | 一切都很顺利 |
[11:29] | He said my husband was a good candidate. | 他说我丈夫很适合做吸脂 |
[11:31] | It was every exciting for my husband. | 这让我丈夫十分兴奋 |
[11:34] | He couldn’t wait to do it. | 他急不可待要做手术 |
[11:35] | So, you decided to go for the surgery. | 以,你们决定去做手术 |
[11:38] | Yes. It was just supposed to be an outpatient thing. | 是的,这应该仅仅是门诊的小事 |
[11:42] | So, we arrived at his office at seven in the morning and at the… | 那么,我们早上七点到他的诊所 |
[11:49] | the procedure started at 10. | 十点开始做手术 |
[11:51] | And then at one o’clock he…hm… | 到了下午一点,他。。。唉 |
[11:56] | the doctor came out and told me that my husband was dead. | 医生跑出来告诉我,我丈夫死了 |
[12:04] | Your husband was told that there was a risk. | 你丈夫被告知过有风险吗? |
[12:07] | Minimal risk. | 非常小的风险 |
[12:08] | Possible risk of death, wasn’t that one? | 可能会有生命危险吗,不会有吧? |
[12:11] | Yes. It wasn’t something… | 不会的,不会有什么问题。。。 |
[12:14] | the message was that this operation was safe, Mr. Bradford. | Bradford先生,告诉我们的是这个手术很安全 |
[12:20] | Please understand just how sorry I am for your loss. | 请理解我对您的丧夫感到多么难过 |
[12:27] | Mrs. Riley, who is the first person to suggest you | Riley夫人,谁第一个提醒你 |
[12:30] | that Doctor Stiles might’ve been negligent? | Stiles医生可能存在疏忽的问题? |
[12:32] | First person? | 第一个人? |
[12:34] | Yes. | 是的 |
[12:35] | Well, I am afraid I don’t really understand the question. | 呃,恐怕我没有完全明白这个问题 |
[12:39] | Well, let me state it another way: was it a doctor or was it a lawyer? | 好吧,让我们换一种说法: 这人是一个医生还是一个律师? |
[12:42] | Objection! | 反对! |
[12:43] | What’s the point, Mr. Bradford? | Bradford先生,你这话要指出的是? |
[12:45] | Well, Your Honour, there are those cases where a doctor says negligence | 法官大人,有些情况是医生说存在疏忽 |
[12:49] | and the plaintiff then engages a lawyer | 继而原告就聘用律师 |
[12:51] | and then there are other cases where a lawyer declares negligence | 但是其他情况是一个律师宣称存在疏忽 |
[12:54] | and doctors then round it up to bolster the claim. | 医生们就据此去支持这个宣称 |
[12:57] | Objection! | 反对! |
[12:57] | Rephrase it, Counsel. | 换个说法吧,律师 |
[12:59] | Mrs. Riley, just how many firms did you go to | Riley夫人,在最终有一家律师事务所接手你的案子前, |
[13:03] | before finally one wanted to take your case? | 你去找过多少家事务所? |
[13:05] | Objection! | 反对! |
[13:06] | Sidebar? Your Honour. | 上前商议?法官大人 |
[13:12] | Part of our defence is this is a ** claim manufactured | 我们的部分辩护策略是,这是一个人为怂恿的索赔 |
[13:16] | to flush out the deep pocket of the insurance company. | 去掏空保险公司的口袋 |
[13:18] | And it certainly relevant that | 这是有关联性的 |
[13:20] | other attorneys decline to even take on the matter. | 其他律师甚至会拒绝接手这样的案子 |
[13:22] | It’s certainly not relevant. | 这当然没有关联性 |
[13:23] | How other lawyer assess this has nothing to do with the case. | 其他律师如何评价此事与此案毫无关系。 |
[13:26] | I agree. You are shut down there, Mr. Bradford. | 我同意,你就此打住,Bradford先生 |
[13:28] | Step back. | 退下 |
[13:29] | Members of the jury, | 陪审团成员们 |
[13:32] | whether or not other attorneys or law firms | 其他的律师或者法律事务所 |
[13:34] | elected to represent the plaintiff in this matter is without relevance, | 是否选择代理此案,与此案没有关联性 |
[13:38] | and you are to disregard the defence counsel’s question. | 你们要忽略辩方律师的问题 |
[13:45] | Let me see if I understand this: | 让我来看看,我是否可以这样理解: |
[13:47] | You learned during the trial from your client | 你在庭审期间,从你的客户那里得知 |
[13:51] | that it was his son that killed the woman. | 是他的儿子杀了那个女人 |
[13:53] | I learned just before closing arguments, yes. | 是的,我在结案陈词前才得知的 |
[13:56] | Then why didn’t you go to the District Attorney right then and ask him… | 为什么你不马上去找地检律师要求他们。。。 |
[13:59] | Because my client wouldn’t let me. | 因为我的客户不允许我这么做 |
[14:01] | It was attorney-client privilege and he was looking to protect his son. | 基于律师客户间信息保密特权,而且他想保护他的儿子 |
[14:05] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[14:06] | And if your client had been acquitted, that would’ve been the end of it. | 而且如果你的客户被宣判无罪,这事也就了结了 |
[14:09] | Well… | 这个嘛 |
[14:10] | You wouldn’t be here today seeking justice, would you, counsel? | 你今天来这里不是为了寻求正义的,是吧,律师? |
[14:13] | That would’ve been the end of it. | 那案子已经结束了 |
[14:15] | Your Honour, my meeting with the boy | 法官大人,我和那男孩的会面 |
[14:18] | though he didn’t flat out admit that he did it, | 尽管他没有干脆地承认是他干的, |
[14:21] | he didn’t deny it either. | 他也没有否认 |
[14:22] | And a failure to deny | 无法否认 |
[14:24] | can constitute an admission under the rule of evidence. | 在取证条例中等同于承认 |
[14:27] | The courts don’t simply throw out convictions, counsel. | 法庭不能轻易地推翻定罪、 律师 |
[14:30] | Simply because… | 仅仅是因为。。。 |
[14:31] | The kid hung himself. What does that say? | 那男孩自杀了,那又怎么解释? |
[14:34] | I confronted him on what he did, he goes home and hung himself. | 我当面质问他所做的事,他回家就上吊自杀了。 |
[14:37] | That isn’t evidence. | 这不是证据 |
[14:39] | Then let me offer evidence. | 那就让我提供证据 |
[14:41] | You haven’t got any, Jimmy. | 你啥证据也没有,Jimmy |
[14:42] | I would like the court to hear from my client. | 我希望法院听取我的委托人的意见。 |
[14:44] | It seems like a waste of the court’s time. | 这似乎是在浪费法院的时间。 |
[14:46] | He’s serving a life sentence, we can’t waste one afternoon? | 他被判终身监禁,我们难道不能浪费一个下午吗? |
[14:54] | One day. | 一天时间 |
[14:58] | I don’t know what you really plan to accomplish. | 我不知道你到底如何计划 |
[15:00] | I plan to accomplish getting him out of prison which he should be. | 我计划把他从监狱里弄出来,这是他应得的 |
[15:02] | Yeah right. Look, how about we get together on Miller? | 哈,对,我们一起去找Miller谈谈? |
[15:04] | Fine, corporate with me on Olson and I will talk to Miller. | 好,在Olson案上和我合作,我就和Miller谈 |
[15:07] | Don’t insult my intelligence, Jimmy. | 不要侮辱我的智力,吉米 |
[15:09] | I was insulting your integrity. | 我正在侮辱你的正直。 |
[15:18] | Fluid is actually being pumped into the body at this point. | 此刻流体实际上正被注入体内。 |
[15:21] | It’s pretty much a sole solution containing a local anesthetic. | 这几乎是控制局部麻醉的惟一解决方案 |
[15:25] | What kind of anesthetic? | 哪一种麻醉剂? |
[15:27] | Lidocaine. It numbs the patient. | 利多卡因。可以使患者麻醉 |
[15:29] | Is this a difficult procedure, doctor? | 这是一个难做的手术吗?医生? |
[15:32] | It’s quite simple actually, which is part of the problem. | 实际上很简单,但这也是造成问题的原因之一 |
[15:35] | We’ve got dentist doing it, dermatologist. | 我们发现有牙医在做,还有皮肤科医生在做 |
[15:38] | It’s lucrative and a lot of doctors want in | 这是挺容易赚钱的,很多医生都想做 |
[15:41] | and if they are not careful | 但是如果他们不小心 |
[15:42] | the procedure can be lethal as it was in this case. | 这个手术可能是致命的,就像在这个案子中一样 |
[15:45] | What happened to Moris Riley? | 在Moris Riley这例发生了什么? |
[15:47] | The first mistake was taking so much fat out | 第一个错误是抽出了太多的脂肪 |
[15:51] | anything over 15 percent in my view is unsafe. | 在我看来超过15%就是不安全的 |
[15:54] | Is this what killed him? | 这是死因吗? |
[15:56] | No. | 不是 |
[15:57] | In my opinion, Mr. Riley suffered from a lidocaine over dose. | 我的观点是,Riley先生被过量的利多卡因所损害 |
[16:00] | The lidocaine lowered the heart rate eventually causing cardiac arrest. | 利多卡因降低了心律,最终导致心跳停止 |
[16:04] | And since he did this in his office instead of at the hospital, | 而且因为他是在诊所里而不是在医院里实施手术, |
[16:07] | he didn’t have the necessary technology | 他没有必备的技术 |
[16:09] | or personal available to respond to the crisis. | 或者人员可以用于应付危机 |
[16:14] | You weren’t in the room, were you, Dr. Willis? | 你不在现场,是吧,Willis博士? |
[16:17] | No, I was not. | 是的,我不在 |
[16:18] | Have you ever preformed a lipo suction procedure, sir? | 你曾经做过吸脂手术吗?先生 |
[16:20] | Have done hundreds. | 做过成百次 |
[16:22] | Hundreds. Any in your office? | 成百次,在你的诊所里? |
[16:24] | Almost all of them. | 几乎都是那样 |
[16:25] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[16:26] | So this decision not to go into a hospital | 所以这种选择不去医院的做法 |
[16:28] | you make that decision all the time. | 你一直也都是这样做的 |
[16:30] | I would never take that much fat out in my office. | 我在诊所(做手术)绝对不会抽出那么多的脂肪 |
[16:33] | If I were going to remove more 12 pounds | 如果我打算抽出超过12磅 |
[16:35] | I would have done it in a hospital. | 我会在医院进行这种手术 |
[16:38] | That’s a very good answer, doctor. | 这是一个非常好的回答,医生 |
[16:40] | Can you state to a medical certainty | 你能做出Riley先生因利多卡因过量导致死亡、 |
[16:42] | that Mr. Riley died from a lidocaine over dose? | 的确切医学诊断吗? |
[16:45] | I can state it to a reasonable certainty. | 我能做出合理性的确定 |
[16:47] | But not to an absolute medical certainty. | 但并不是绝对确切的医疗诊断 |
[16:49] | That can almost never be done, counsel. | 那几乎是不可能做到的,律师 |
[16:51] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[16:52] | And have you ever known hearts to go into arrest during this procedure | 那么你曾经知道在利多卡因没有过量的情况下, |
[16:55] | absent a lidocaine over dose? | 手术中也发生过心脏停跳? |
[16:57] | Off course. | 当然有 |
[16:58] | That’s possible here, isn’t it, doctor? | 这是有可能的,不是吗,医生? |
[16:59] | Possible. But my opinion is they over loaded him with fluids. | 有可能性,但是我的观点是他们剂量超标了 |
[17:02] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[17:04] | Tell me, doctor, how many trials have you testified in over the last year? | 请告诉我,医生,过去一年中,你出庭作证了多少次? |
[17:09] | Many. | 很多次 |
[17:09] | Many? More than 50? | 很多?超过50次? |
[17:13] | Around 50. | 大约 |
[17:14] | And would it be fair to say, sir, | 那么,你主要是被这类(官司的) 原告法律事务所所雇用 |
[17:16] | that you are primarily hired by these types of plaintiff law firm? | 这么说公平吗? |
[17:19] | Objection! | 反对! |
[17:20] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[17:21] | Let me rephrase: you’ve been hired by this law firm before, | 让我换一种说法:你以前被这类事务所雇佣过 |
[17:25] | haven’t you, sir? | 没有吗,医生? |
[17:26] | Objection! What’s the relevance? | 反对,这有什么关联性? |
[17:27] | It goes to bias, Your Honour. | 这有倾向性,法官大人 |
[17:29] | He’s been hired in the past and will be hired in the future. | 他以前被这些事务所雇用,以后也会 |
[17:32] | This witness has incentive to satisfy personal injury law firm. | 这个证人有迎合代理人身伤害案的事务所的动机 |
[17:36] | Objection! Move to strike that. | 反对!请不予记录 |
[17:38] | I am gonna overrule the objection. | 我要驳回这个反对意见 |
[17:40] | But I am closing the door on this line of questioning. | 但是我会停止继续讨论这个问题 |
[17:44] | In that case I am done, Your Honour. | 那样的话,我没什么要问的了,法官大人 |
[18:08] | You know what’s going on, he’s putting us on trial. | 你知道发生了什么,他把我们推上审判席。 |
[18:10] | He wants the jury to associate this case with you and me. | 他希望陪审团会把你我和这个案子联系起来 |
[18:20] | All I can tell you this time | 我现在能告诉你的是 |
[18:21] | is that the suspect passed the psychiatric exam | 嫌犯通过了心理测试 |
[18:23] | which means he’s competent to stand trial. | 那意味着他有具备出庭的条件 |
[18:25] | Was the baseball bat found… | 找到那根棒球棒了吗 |
[18:26] | I am not gonna comment on the evidence at this time. | 我现在不打算对证据发表评论 |
[18:28] | When there is further developments, I will keep you apprised. | 当有进一步的发展,我会让你了解到 |
[18:30] | Were you surprised that this case’s assigned to you | 在你最近那么多引人注目的惨败之后, |
[18:32] | after so many recent high profile flops? | 你对这个案子分派给你感到惊讶吗? |
[18:37] | There is no strategy here, just speak from the heart. | 没有什么策略,只要讲出心里话就可以 |
[18:41] | Okay, will I have to get into the…er… | 好的,我将不得不。。。呃。。。 |
[18:47] | Bugs. You might. | 虫子,或许会 |
[18:50] | You may have to open yourself up in there, Henry. | 你必须敞开心扉,Henry |
[18:52] | Our only chance is with the Judge believes you. | 让法官相信你是我们唯一的机会 |
[18:56] | If he thinks you are hiding anything… | 如果他认为你隐藏了任何事。。。 |
[18:58] | Okay. | 好的 |
[19:02] | Should Allison be there? | Allison应该去那里吗? |
[19:04] | It couldn’t hurt. | 没坏处 |
[19:11] | Everything was going fine and then suddenly | 一切都很顺利,但是突然。。。 |
[19:13] | his blood pressure just plunged | 他的血压突降 |
[19:15] | Did you know why? | 你知道为什么吗? |
[19:16] | No. there is always a risk in any surgery. | 不,任何手术都是有风险的 |
[19:19] | I do know we didn’t over load fluid. | 我知道没有剂量超标 |
[19:22] | When Mr. Riley’s heart went into arrest, what did you do? | 当Riley先生心脏停跳,你们做了什么? |
[19:26] | We massaged the chest, brought in the defibrillator, | 我们推拿他胸部,拿来电击起搏器 |
[19:29] | started the heart again; | 恢复了他的心跳 |
[19:30] | but then it stopped. | 但是之后又停了 |
[19:32] | We wheeled in a crash cart. | 我们推进一辆手推车 |
[19:33] | Contradict to Dr. Willis’assertion | |
[19:35] | 00:19:35,473 –> 00:19:38,848 we did have the technology to respond to this crisis. | 我们对危机有技术能力应付 |
[19:39] | Dr. Stiles, Mr. Riley did die on your table. | Stiles医生,Riley先生死在你的手术台上 |
[19:43] | I know. | 我知道 |
[19:45] | And it was devastating for all of us. | 这对我们所有人来说都是毁灭性的。 |
[19:48] | But death is a risk in every surgery. | 但是每个外科手术都有死亡的风险 |
[19:53] | Sometimes whether it would be heart failure or reaction of anesthesia, | 有时是心脏衰竭有时是麻醉反应 |
[20:00] | unforeseen circumstances take a life. | 意外情况导致死亡 |
[20:03] | All I can assure you of, as I’ve assured Mrs. Riley, | 我可以向你保证,正如我向Riley太太保证的那样, |
[20:07] | is that everything was done right in that room. | 手术室里一切操作都是正确的 |
[20:11] | This is not a death due to doctor error. | 这不是因为医生的错误导致的死亡 |
[20:17] | Did you have a cardiopathic surgeon? | 你有一个心脏外科医生吗? |
[20:19] | I beg your pardon. | 请您再说一遍 |
[20:21] | Did you have a cardiopathic surgeon? | 你有一个心脏外科医生吗? |
[20:23] | Somebody who could open up the patient’s chest, ** the heart; | 这人可以对患者实施开胸急救 |
[20:27] | maybe put him on bypass either. | 也许可以植入导管 |
[20:29] | Did you have such a doctor in your office? | 你诊所里有这样的医生吗? |
[20:31] | No. | 没有 |
[20:32] | A hospital would have, right? | 医院里会有,对吧? |
[20:34] | How long have you been preforming lipo suction, sir? | 你开始从事吸脂手术有多久了,先生? |
[20:37] | I’ve been doing it for about two years. | 差不多两年了 |
[20:39] | You are a cosmetic surgeon | 你是个整容外科医生 |
[20:41] | who specialize on face reconstruction, aren’t you? | 专门做脸部整形,不是吗? |
[20:43] | If you are suggesting that I am not qualified to do the procedure… | 如果你是暗示我没有资格做这个手术。。。 |
[20:46] | I am suggesting this isn’t your specialty. | 我在暗示这不是你的专业 |
[20:48] | I am suggesting that up until two years ago | 我在暗示直到两年前 |
[20:50] | you worked on faces and burnt victims | 你是从事治疗脸部整形和烧伤患者 |
[20:52] | but you didn’t do lipo suction, isn’t that correct? | 但你没有做吸脂手术,这不正确吗? |
[20:54] | I am sorry. I have to object to this assault. | 抱歉.我不得不反对这次攻击。 |
[20:57] | This is an assault? | 这是攻击? |
[20:58] | Your Honour, I have a personal affection to Mr. Young, | 法官大人,我对Young先生有些私人的好感 |
[21:01] | I think he is a fine attorney. | 我认为他是一个好律师 |
[21:03] | But perhaps I’ll remind that this is a civil trial. | 但也许我会提醒一下这是民事审判。 |
[21:06] | Your Honour. | 法官大人 |
[21:06] | Never mind. I am overruling the objection. | 别管他,我驳回这个反对意见 |
[21:09] | Mr. Young, proceed. | Young先生,继续 |
[21:11] | You sucked out 22 pounds of fat, didn’t you, doctor? | 你吸出了22磅的脂肪,不是吗,医生? |
[21:14] | Yes. | 是的 |
[21:15] | You are aware that’s more than what’s considered to be safe. | 你知道这远远超过了被认为安全的范围 |
[21:17] | You can’t quantify safety with statistics. | 你不能用统计学来量化安全 |
[21:20] | It’s done on a case by case basis | 这都是根据个案处理的 |
[21:22] | and in this case, I felt it was safe. | 这次,我觉得是安全的 |
[21:24] | And he died. | 但是他死了 |
[21:25] | Not because I took out too much fat. | 不是因为我抽出了过量的脂肪 |
[21:28] | Well… as I understand it | 好吧,正如我所理解的 |
[21:29] | the more fat you suction out | 抽出越多的脂肪 |
[21:31] | the more trauma to the body, is that correct? | 对他的身体损害就越大,对吗? |
[21:33] | Yes. | 对 |
[21:33] | And the more lidocaine need to… | 利多卡因也就需要更多。。。 |
[21:35] | This patient did not died from a lidocaine over dose. | 这个患者不是死于利多卡因过量 |
[21:38] | You know that to a medical certainty? | 你认为这是确切的医疗诊断吗? |
[21:39] | As I said, you can never know anything to a medical certainty. | 如我所说,我从不认为有什么确切的医疗诊断 |
[21:42] | Then why are you saying it with a certainty? | 那你为什么说得这么肯定? |
[21:44] | Objection! | 反对 |
[21:44] | Withdrawn. | 我收回 |
[21:45] | How much do you charge for this kind of procedure? | 这种手术你收多少钱? |
[21:47] | I charged Mr. Riley $8,000. | 我收了Riley先生8000美金 |
[21:49] | That is upfront, right? No insurance to deal with? | 这是预付,是吗?没有保险金? |
[21:52] | How is this relevant? | 这有什么关联? |
[21:53] | It is relevant because you are in the business | 这有关联,因为你在做一个 |
[21:55] | of sucking fat out of people without any concern… | 肆无忌惮地从人身上抽出脂肪的生意。。。 |
[21:56] | Objection! | 反对! |
[21:57] | You could save your personal affection, Mr. Bradford. | 你对我的个人好感还是省省吧,Bradford先生 |
[21:59] | All right. | 好了 |
[22:00] | This is a court of law, not a street fight. | 这是讲法的法庭,不是街头打斗 |
[22:03] | What did you say? | 你说啥? |
[22:04] | That’s enough. | 够了! |
[22:09] | Your Honour, I apologize both to you and the jury | 法官大人,我为这不必要的尖刻讥讽, |
[22:13] | for this unnecessary acrimony. | 向您和陪审团表示歉意 |
[22:17] | Mr. Young, return your attention to the witness, please. | Young先生,请把你的注意力转到证人身上 |
[22:26] | Mr. Olson, | Olson先生 |
[22:28] | at trial you said when you came out of your office | 庭审的时候,你说你从你办公室出来 |
[22:33] | you found the woman dead, | 你发现了一个女人死了 |
[22:36] | did you see anything else? | 你还发现别的什么吗? |
[22:38] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:39] | I saw my son Steven, he was leaving. | 我看见我儿子Steven,他正在离开 |
[22:43] | Your son Steven. | 你儿子Steven。 |
[22:46] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:47] | But you never told anybody. | 但你没有对任何人说过 |
[22:48] | I told you deep into the trial | 在庭审期间我告诉过你 |
[22:53] | only because you were going to accuse my wife. | 仅仅是因为你当时要指控我的太太 |
[22:56] | Why did you keep this secret? | 你为什么守着这个秘密? |
[23:00] | He had his whole life ahead of him, Your honour. | 他的人生刚刚开始,法官大人 |
[23:04] | Me? | 我? |
[23:06] | I am… | 我。。。 |
[23:09] | I was a perverted deviant | 我是一个变态的另类 |
[23:13] | who like to watch women step on bugs. | 喜欢看女人踩虫子 |
[23:17] | I am the reason that he committed this crime. | 我是他犯这种罪的原因 |
[23:22] | I drove him to commit this crime. | 我导致他去犯罪 |
[23:25] | He’d heard his mother and me arguing about my fetish. | 他听到了他妈妈和我关于我怪僻的争论 |
[23:31] | My attorneys told me that I had a chance of winning a trial. | 我的律师告诉我,我有赢的机会 |
[23:36] | So I took the chance, figuring if I could get out of prison | 所以我抓住机会,我想如果能免予牢狱 |
[23:42] | I could get Steven some help. | 我就能给Steven一些帮助 |
[23:53] | Why should we believe you? | 我为什么要相信你? |
[23:55] | Because I am telling the truth. | 因为我说的是事实 |
[23:57] | Now your son is dead, he can’t defend himself to this charges. | 现在你的儿子已经死了,他无法为自己辩护 |
[24:00] | I told Mr. Berluti before he was dead. | 他死之前我就告诉了Berluti先生 |
[24:03] | Even if you did, | 即使你这样做了 |
[24:05] | all of this coincides with your motive to be cleared of this crime. | 所有这一切都与你想脱罪的动机符合 |
[24:08] | And all we have is your word here, | 而且我们只有你的陈述 |
[24:11] | isn’t that right, Mr. Olson? | 不是吗?Olson先生 |
[24:13] | You lied to you wife about this bug thing, | 你在虫子这件事上向你的太太撒了谎 |
[24:16] | you kept the truth from your own attorneys | 你对你自己的律师隐瞒了事实真相 |
[24:18] | that is if the state of this version is the truth. | 假使这个版本的陈述是事实 |
[24:21] | We have a conviction here supported by evidence, | 我们已经得出了靠证据支持的定罪 |
[24:24] | would you trying to overturn with nothing but your word of honour? | 你打算只凭着你信誉承诺就推翻它吗? |
[24:28] | And my affidavit. | 还凭着我的宣誓口供 |
[24:30] | I accused the son Steven of killing this woman. | 我指控他儿子Steven杀了那个女人 |
[24:34] | He didn’t deny it, instead he goes home and kills himself. | 他没有否认,而是回到家后自杀了 |
[24:38] | We have a tremendous injustice here. | 这里存在一个惊人的不公正 |
[24:41] | An innocent man is sitting in jail for a crime he didn’t commit. | 一个无辜的人在为他没有犯过的罪而坐牢 |
[24:47] | We can just sit back and say too late, game is over. | 我们可以袖手旁观,说太晚了,游戏已经结束了 |
[24:51] | It’s not too late. | 还不迟 |
[24:53] | There he still sits, it’s not too late. | 他还在坐牢,还不迟! |
[24:57] | We all say better to let ten guilty men go free | 我们都说,放过十个罪犯要优于 |
[25:02] | than send one innocent man to jail. | 把一个无辜的人送进监狱 |
[25:06] | And still he sits in prison innocent. | 他仍然无辜地关在监狱里 |
[25:09] | He didn’t kill that woman. | 他没有杀害那个女人 |
[25:14] | Mr. Berluti, I am impressed with your passion | Berluti先生,你的激情使我印象深刻 |
[25:17] | and I don’t dismiss the value of your affidavit | 而且我不会忽略你证词的重要性 |
[25:20] | but still we have a process here. | 但这里我们还是有个程序问题 |
[25:23] | The jury listened to every witness, | 陪审团听取了所有的证人证词 |
[25:26] | they deliberated it and they returned a verdict. | 他们仔细考量后,给出了裁决 |
[25:29] | And I certainly have to have | 我必须要有 |
[25:30] | more than the defendant’s word and the attorney’s word | 更多的而不只是被告和律师的证言 |
[25:33] | that he’s innocent. | 来证明他是无辜的 |
[25:34] | Otherwise I would be making a mockery of the jury system altogether. | 否则我就是对陪审团制度做了一个彻底的嘲弄 |
[25:38] | It’s one thing if the DA was coming forward with you | 如果地检律师和你一起来说存在着不公平 |
[25:43] | saying an injustice has been done. | 这是另一回事。 |
[25:45] | But here, | 但是在法庭上 |
[25:49] | all I have is you; | 我只有你- |
[25:52] | the man’s lawyer, the man’s friend, | 一个律师,被告的朋友- |
[25:55] | protesting his innocence. | 为他的无辜而申辩 |
[25:59] | The conviction stands. Adjourned. | 维持原判,休庭 |
[26:30] | Come on, Jimmy. | 算了,Jimmy |
[26:40] | I think we should call him on it. | 我想我们应该打电话给他 |
[26:42] | How can we just sit back… | 我们怎么能故作轻松。。。 |
[26:43] | We stick to the case, Rebecca. | 我们要坚持下去,Rebecca |
[26:44] | Well he’s not, you know he’s not. | 他不是(疏忽责任),你知道他不是。 |
[26:47] | We play any other card at this point, we just looked desperate. | 在这一点上,我们打出另一张牌,我们只是看起来很绝望 |
[26:50] | We stick to the merit of the case. | 这个案子值得我们坚持下去 |
[27:09] | You are wasting your time, Jimmy. | 你在浪费时间,Jimmy |
[27:11] | What? You think you can liquoring me up… | 怎么?你觉得你能把我灌醉。。。 |
[27:12] | Suppose I deliver the Rabbi killer, murder two. | 假如我送上拉比杀手的二级谋杀认罪 |
[27:19] | Clyde Miller for Henry Olson, straight out. | 用Clyde Miller换Henry Olson,说白了就是。 |
[27:23] | First of all, what you are proposing is so unethical. | 首先,你的建议太不道德了。 |
[27:28] | Which is why I never proposed. | 这也就是我从未这么建议的原因 |
[27:30] | Second, I don’t need any favors on Miller, we got the guy. | 其次,我不需要你在Miller案子上的帮助, 我已经抓牢他了。 |
[27:34] | No, you don’t, Richard. | 不,你没有,Richard |
[27:35] | Prints on the bat, Rabbi’s DNA all over… | 棒子上有指纹,拉比的DNA满是。。。 |
[27:38] | Well he found the Rabbi dead in the alley, decided to rob him. | 他发现拉比死在巷子里,决定去劫掠他 |
[27:42] | Is that his story? | 你拿这个说事? |
[27:43] | Could be. | 应该是 |
[27:44] | And you can’t completely disprove it. | 你不能完全否定它 |
[27:47] | The guy’s got an assault record as long as… | 那家伙有袭击罪记录,只要。。。 |
[27:49] | Yeah, history of mugging not killing. | 是的,只抢劫不杀人的犯罪记录 |
[27:51] | All we need is one lone juror. | 我只需要一个孤独的陪审员 |
[27:54] | High profile case, public outrage. | 热点案件,引起广泛公愤 |
[27:58] | You lose this one, Richard. | 你会输掉这个,Richard |
[28:01] | I know you don’t wanna think about that. | 我知道你都不敢去想 |
[28:03] | I won’t lose it, Jimmy. | 我不会输的,immy。 |
[28:05] | Save your breath trying to intimidate me. | 别白费口舌来威胁我了 |
[28:07] | I got an innocent man and a way to make things easy for you. | 我救回一个无辜的人,你能简单方便地把案子办了 |
[28:12] | It’s win-win, justice-justice. | 这是双赢,正义换正义 |
[28:20] | If, I say if, Olson passes a polygraph, | 如果,我说是如果,Olson通过了测谎 |
[28:26] | I will consider a joined recommendation to the court. | 我将考虑对法庭提出联合建议 |
[28:35] | On a completely unrelated matter | 在另一个完全没关联的案子里 |
[28:37] | I am offering Clyde Miller murder two. | 我给Clyde Miller提出二级谋杀的认罪 |
[28:52] | Res Ipsa Loquitor, Res Ipsa Loquitor, | |
[28:54] | that’s a Latin term which basically means | 这是一个拉丁术语,基本上是说 |
[28:57] | what happened speaks for itself. | 所发生的一切说明了一切 |
[29:00] | And that’s what we have here. | 这就是我们这里的情形 |
[29:03] | That man was an exclusive controller of the situation. | 那个人是唯一能控制局面的人 |
[29:07] | The patient died in a procedure where injury does not normally occur. | 患者在一个通常情况下没有危害的手术中死亡 |
[29:11] | After going into a lipo suction, a procedure so simple, | 一个抽脂手术,非常简单的手术 |
[29:14] | dentists are now doing it, | 牙科诊所在做这个手术! |
[29:15] | he came out dead and the doctor’s response is | 患者死亡了,医生的答复是: |
[29:18] | sometimes it happens, patients die. | 有时会发生患者死亡 |
[29:21] | And you know why he died, ladies and gentlemen? | 你们知道他为什么死亡?女士们先生们 |
[29:23] | Money. Money. | 钱,钱! |
[29:25] | With HMOs cutting costs, | 卫生维护组织紧缩开支 |
[29:27] | with hospital slashing doctor salaries, | 医院削减医生的薪水 |
[29:30] | surgeons are turning to cosmetic surgery to hit their pools. | 外科医生都转儿去做整容手术 |
[29:33] | Forget having to wait for insurance reimbursements | 忘记必须要准备保险赔付这件事 |
[29:35] | these procedures aren’t covered by insurance. | 这些手术都没有买过保险 |
[29:38] | The money is upfront. | 这些钱是预支的 |
[29:39] | 6, 7, 8 thousand dollars out of pop for lipo suction. | 6-8千美金做一次流行的抽脂手术 |
[29:42] | We are talking about cash, people. | 我们谈的是现金 |
[29:44] | And they do it right in their offices, | 他们在自己的诊所做这些手术 |
[29:46] | coz you start cutting profits when you do it in a hospital | 因为在医院做的话,会减少利润 |
[29:49] | which is okay when things go right I guess. | 我猜如果事情顺利的时候,一切都好 |
[29:53] | But when things go wrong, | 但是,当出了问题时 |
[29:56] | Moris Riley, death. | Moris Riley,死了 |
[30:04] | He took out 22 pounds of fat, too much by medical standards. | 他抽了22磅脂肪出来,大大超出了医学标准 |
[30:09] | He had to load him with extra lidocaine in order to do it. | 为了做这件事,他不得不给他多加些利多卡因 |
[30:11] | Lidocaine, a drug to slow the pulse, | 利多卡因,一种减缓脉搏的药物 |
[30:14] | a drug that affects the heart. | 一种影响心脏的药物 |
[30:16] | And he did it in his office | 他这些都是在自己诊所做的 |
[30:17] | with no cardiologist and no cardiopathic surgeon in the building | 那里没有心脏病专家和心脏外科医生 |
[30:21] | they should have been done in a hospital. | 他们应该在医院里做的 |
[30:23] | Something went terribly wrong. | 肯定是有严重的错误 |
[30:25] | Simple procedure, patient dies, | 简单的手术,患者死了 |
[30:28] | something went terribly wrong. | 肯定是有严重的错误 |
[30:33] | Res Ipsa Loquitor. | 所发生的一切说明了一切! |
[30:40] | Murder two? Isn’t that like life? | 二级谋杀?这岂不是要关一辈子? |
[30:43] | It is, but with parole maybe. | 是的,但也许可以得到假释 |
[30:46] | If you go down on murder one, forget it. | 如果你被判了一级谋杀,假释就没可能了 |
[30:49] | And you don’t think that we could beat it? | 你不认为我们能赢吗? |
[30:52] | OJ, he beat it. | 辛普森,他做到了 |
[30:53] | Honest, we could take the shot, | 说实话,我们能去试试 |
[30:57] | but I don’t think we would win, | 但我不认为能赢 |
[30:58] | in which case you are looking at murder one. | 这个案子你被视为一级谋杀罪 |
[31:01] | I think if we can make this go away quiet with murder two, | 我想如果我们能化解为二级谋杀 |
[31:07] | you would be crazy not to take it. | 你要是不接受那就是疯了 |
[31:18] | Never mind there is been no negligence, | 管他是不是没有疏忽行为存在 |
[31:22] | never mind nobody did anything wrong, | 管他是不是没人做错事 |
[31:25] | go to court | 就上法院 |
[31:26] | roll the dice and hope for a jackpot. | 掷个骰子去蒙一个头奖 |
[31:30] | Didn’t used to be this way. | 以前不是这样的 |
[31:32] | But with the proliferation of law schools | 但是随着法律学校的泛滥 |
[31:35] | and the lowering of the bar if you will | 而且如果你愿意降低门槛 |
[31:39] | we have a glut of attorneys | 有了大量过剩的律师 |
[31:41] | and a resulting boom of litigations to feed them. | 和由此产生用于喂饱他们的诉讼案件的激增 |
[31:44] | Accordingly, you can always find a lawyer to take your case today, | 因此,你今天总能找到一位律师接你的案子 |
[31:50] | and Mrs. Riley found two very capable ones to take hers, didn’t she? | Riley太太就找到两个很能干的来接她的案子,不是吗? |
[31:56] | The problem is she has no evidence | 但问题在于,她没有证据 |
[32:01] | to establish any wrong doing by Doctor Stiles. | 去确定Stiles医生做错了什么 |
[32:06] | But we had an unfortunate result. | 但是我们有一个不幸的结果 |
[32:10] | And therefore we are automatically leaping to negligence. | 因此我们也自然而然地定性为疏忽 |
[32:15] | Mr. Young even admitted this much, didn’t he? | Young先生也很认可这一点,不是吗? |
[32:18] | When he stood up here saying Res Ipsa Loquitor, let’s presume it. | 当他站起来说“Res Ipsa Loquitor”时,让我们假定是这样 |
[32:25] | I have compassion for Mr. Riley’s pani as I am sure you do. | 我同情Riley夫人的痛苦,我确信你们也是如此 |
[32:32] | Her husband’s heart gave out as hearts sometimes do. | 他的丈夫的心脏停跳 |
[32:38] | There is a tragedy here, no question. | 这是一个悲剧,没有疑问 |
[32:41] | But there is no malpractice. | 但这不是不当治疗 |
[32:55] | Mr. Young, rebuttal? | Young先生,要反驳吗? |
[33:00] | Whether there is malpractice or not, that is your decision. | 是否存在不当治疗,那是你的看法 |
[33:06] | But I hope you don’t think less of Mrs. Riley’s cause of action | 但是我希望你不要因为Riley夫人 找到了受理她案子的律师了 |
[33:10] | because of the lawyers she found to represent her. | 就较少考虑她的起诉缘由 |
[33:13] | Don’t get me wrong, | 别让我犯错误 |
[33:15] | like Mr. Bradford said, we are capable attorneys, | 正如Bradford先生所说,我们是有能力的律师 |
[33:18] | I think we are even a credit to our profession. | 我认为我们甚至在我们的专项中享有声誉 |
[33:21] | But let’s face it, we are not the best. | 然而让我们面对现实,我们不是最好的 |
[33:25] | We’ve come a long way, we’ve made some progress | 我们已经走过了漫长的道路,取得了一些进展。 |
[33:28] | but we are just not the first choice, are we? | 但我们不是第一选择,是吧? |
[33:31] | What’s going on here? | 到底怎么回事? |
[33:32] | What’s going on with the proliferation of law schools | 法律学校的泛滥是怎么回事? |
[33:36] | and the lowering of the bar | 降低门槛又是怎么回事? |
[33:38] | and more and more attorneys like us are finding our way into this room, | 越来越多的律师像我们一样找到了这个房间 |
[33:43] | I am agree with you, Mr. Bradford. | 我同意你的看法,Bradford先生 |
[33:45] | Counsel, if you are not gonna argue the evidence | 律师,如果你不打算进行论辩 |
[33:47] | I will ask you to return to your seat. | 我会让你回到座位上去 |
[33:49] | Mr. Young and I are very much in evidence, Your Honour. | Young先生和我太显眼了,法官大人 |
[33:53] | Mr. Bradford put us in evidence. | Bradford先生让我们这么显眼 |
[33:57] | He asked Mrs. Riley who first told her there was negligence, | 他问Riley太太谁先告诉她存在疏忽的 |
[34:01] | was it a doctor or was it your lawyer. | 是一个医生还是律师? |
[34:04] | He asked how many law firms did you visited | 他问她在有律师接手她案子前 |
[34:06] | before you found the attorney willing to take your case. | 找过多少家事务所 |
[34:10] | He asked our expert witness | 他问我们的专家证人 |
[34:12] | if he was regularly hired by these types of plaintiff law firms. | 他是否经常受雇于这种类型的原告律师事务所 |
[34:17] | He announces his personal affection for Mr. Young | 他宣称他对Young先生存在个人好感 |
[34:21] | and then reminds him this isn’t a street fight. | 而且提醒他这不是一场街斗斗殴 |
[34:25] | We are very much in evidence, Your Honour, | 我们太显眼了,法官大人 |
[34:27] | and I don’t like it. | 但我不喜欢 |
[34:29] | I don’t like it one bit. | 一点也不喜欢 |
[34:31] | Ms. Washington, I will ask you once again | Washington女士,我再一次要求你 |
[34:33] | please confine your remarks to the case. | 请把你的言论限制在这个案子之内 |
[34:37] | Wife saves up money to give her husband a lipo suction procedure. | 妻子省下钱来,给丈夫做一个吸脂的手术 |
[34:45] | They go to a doctor, doctor preforms procedure, | 他们去找了医生,医生做了这个手术 |
[34:50] | husband dies. | 丈夫死了 |
[34:52] | That’s a pretty good case. | 这是一个相当好的案子 |
[34:55] | Imagine how strong it would be | 想象一下,如果Riley太太找对了合适的律师 |
[34:57] | if Mrs. Riley had found the right kind of lawyers. | 这案子该有多么强大的效果 |
[35:16] | I didn’t do anything. | 我啥也没做 |
[35:17] | Where is Jimmy? | Jimmy在哪里? |
[35:18] | Right here. what’s… | 这儿呢,怎么。。。 |
[35:19] | You signed off on murder two with Clyde Miller, just like that? | 你和Clyde Miller接受了二级谋杀,就这样了? |
[35:22] | We had to take it or leave it, onetime offer. | 我们必须接受或者拒绝,这是一次性有效的 |
[35:24] | So, why did you take it? | 那么,你为什么接受? |
[35:25] | Because he was looking at first degree… | 因为他被视为一级。。。 |
[35:27] | We’re still gonna trial the thing?. | 我们还打算上庭吗? |
[35:29] | And lost. | 落空了 |
[35:29] | But maybe won, their evidence… | 但也许会赢的,他们的证据。。。 |
[35:31] | Oh, please. | 噢,拜托 |
[35:32] | Jimmy, there were no witnesses. | Jimmy,没有证人 |
[35:34] | I’ve just beaten a much tougher case | 我一个月前刚赢下了一个比这更难的 |
[35:36] | than this one a month ago with Darrel Hutchins. | Darrel Hutchins那个案子 |
[35:38] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
[35:38] | Clyde Miller, he just coped to second degree. | Clyde Miller,刚被接受了二级谋杀 |
[35:41] | There were no rabbits to pull on this one, Ellenor, | 这个案子上变不出兔子来,Ellenor |
[35:43] | they had him dead to centre. | 他已经被钉死了 |
[35:44] | Even so, Jimmy, | 即便这样,Jimmy |
[35:45] | that seems a little rush and since I am second chair | 是不是也太仓促了,而且因为我是次席辩护律师 |
[35:48] | I think you could’ve run this by me before you… | 我认为你应该先征求我的意见。。。 |
[35:50] | I didn’t think you really wanted to be bothered. | 我不想招你烦心。。。 |
[35:53] | Good news. Henry passed the polygraph. | 好消息。亨利通过了测谎试验 |
[35:56] | He did? | 他做到了? |
[35:57] | Yes. They are transferring him to the court house. | 是的,他们正把他转送到法院大楼 |
[35:59] | What’s he taking a polygraph for? | 他做测谎为了什么? |
[36:01] | Richard Bay, I worked him up last night | Richard Bay,我昨晚做了他的工作 |
[36:03] | he said if Henry passed a lie detector, he’d then do us a release. | 他说如果Henry通过了测谎仪,他会建议释放 |
[36:06] | Bay’s gonna recommend a release now? | Bay会建议释放? |
[36:08] | He said a polygraph would **. | 他说过,测谎。。。 |
[36:11] | Richard Bay is the DA on Clyde Miller. | Richard Bay是Clyde Miller案的地检律师 |
[36:21] | Oh my god. | 我的天 |
[36:23] | Tell me. | 跟我说说吧 |
[36:24] | In my office. | 来我办公室 |
[36:25] | I can’t. | 我没空 |
[36:26] | They are transferring Henry back to the court house. | 他们正把Henry转送到法院大楼 |
[36:27] | In my office. | 来我办公室 |
[36:36] | Your served up Miller to get Henry out? | 你奉献出Miller去换Henry出狱? |
[36:38] | I made independent deals. | 我做的是无关联的交易 |
[36:39] | Don’t screw with me, Jimmy. | 别跟我开玩笑,Jimmy |
[36:40] | I made separate deals for two… | 我做的是两个不相干的。。。 |
[36:41] | You don’t just cop to murder two. | 你不只是接受了二级谋杀 |
[36:43] | -Judgment call and don’t tell me you’ve never done it, -You could get disbar. | -别跟我说你从来没有干过这种事 -你应该取消这个交易 |
[36:45] | I know you’ve done it. | 我知道你也干过 |
[36:47] | I am talking here. | 我正在说话呢 |
[36:48] | And I am not listening, shut up. | 我不听,你住嘴 |
[36:50] | Don’t you… | 你不。。。 |
[36:52] | don’t you dare put yourself in my position, | 你不敢设身处地站在我的处境中吧? |
[36:55] | a man isn’t jail coz of you. | 一个男人没有因为你坐牢 |
[36:57] | A kid didn’t put a noose around his neck coz of you. | 一个孩子没有因为你把自己绞死 |
[37:01] | You are falling apart. | 你现在崩溃了 |
[37:03] | Of course I am falling apart. | 我当然是崩溃了 |
[37:05] | I’ve been falling apart for three months. I… | 我已经崩溃三个月了,我。。。 |
[37:09] | I gotta fix this, Bobby. | 我得了却这个事,Bobby |
[37:11] | I won’t let you. | 我不能让你这样干 |
[37:11] | You just stay the hell out of it. | 你他妈的就别管了 |
[37:13] | I can’t. Clyde Miller is a client of this firm. | 我不能,Clyde Miller是事务所的客户 |
[37:16] | I explained it to him, he took it. | 我跟他解释了,他接受了 |
[37:18] | He’s stupid. He’ll do whatever you say. | 他是个蠢蛋,你说啥他都听 |
[37:20] | You keep out of it. You wanna fire me, fire me. | 你别管这事,你想解雇我,就解雇我 |
[37:22] | But I gotta fix this. | 但是我要了却此事 |
[37:31] | He’s a killer. He killed a Rabbi. | 他是个杀手,他杀了一个拉比 |
[37:34] | He should be in jail. | 他本应进监狱的 |
[37:36] | Henry Olson shouldn’t be. | 而Henry Olson不应该坐牢 |
[37:39] | This is a just result. | 这是一个公正的结果 |
[37:43] | It doesn’t work like that, Jimmy. | 事情不是这样做的,Jimmy |
[37:47] | Please, two separate deals, two different cases. | 拜托,两个分立的交易,两个不同的案子 |
[37:54] | He’d go down on murder one if we try it, just let this be. | 如果我们上庭,他会被判一级谋杀,就这样吧。 |
[38:07] | Just let this be. | 就这样吧。 |
[38:22] | How long would it take? | 需要多长时间? |
[38:26] | It could take some time. | 需要一些时间 |
[38:28] | They first have to decide on liability, | 他们首先必须要定责 |
[38:31] | if they find him negligent then they go to damages. | 如果他们认为存在疏忽,之后他们就要确定赔偿金 |
[38:35] | It could take some time. | 需要花些时间 |
[38:50] | You angry? | 你生气吗? |
[38:54] | I just don’t know that you’d help, Rebecca. | 我只是不知道你会帮忙,Rebecca |
[38:56] | It was in the air, I wasn’t playing cards, I promise. | |
[39:04] | I just had to clear some air. | |
[39:26] | This is way too fast. | 这也太快了 |
[39:28] | Tell me about it. | 说说你怎么看的 |
[39:36] | Mr. Foreman, the jury has reached a verdict? | 陪审团主席先生,达成一致裁决了吗? |
[39:39] | We have, Your Honour. | 是的,法官大人 |
[39:41] | What say you? | 请宣布 |
[39:42] | On question one: do we find the defendant negligent? | 第一个问题:是否发现被告有疏忽行为? |
[39:46] | We, the jury, answer: | 我们陪审团的回答是: |
[39:47] | yes. | 是的 |
[39:49] | On question two: | 第二个问题: |
[39:51] | do we find the defendant’s negligence | 是否发现被告的疏忽行为 |
[39:52] | to be the proximate cause of Moris Riley’s death? | 是导致Moris Riley死亡的直接原因? |
[39:55] | We, the jury, answer: | 我们陪审团的回答是: |
[39:56] | yes. | 是的 |
[40:00] | We further order the defendant to pay damages to the plaintiff | 我们进一步责成被告向原告支付损害赔偿金。 |
[40:04] | in the amount of 6 million dollars. | 六百万美金 |
[40:10] | Did he say… | 他是说。。。 |
[40:11] | what did he say? | 他说的是? |
[40:13] | He sure didn’t say 32 thousand. | 他肯定不是在说3万2千 |
[40:15] | Six million? | 六百万? |
[40:19] | Your Honour, we move for a judgment notwithstanding the verdict | 法官大人,我们申请忽视陪审团裁决 |
[40:23] | and ask it would be put aside. | |
[40:25] | Denied. | 驳回 |
[40:26] | This matter is adjourned. | 本案休庭 |
[40:28] | Members of the jury, thank you for your service. | 陪审团成员们,感谢你们付出的服务 |
[40:35] | Mr. Bay, I must say I didn’t expect this. | Bay先生,我必须要说,我没有料到会这样 |
[40:38] | Your Honour, Mr. Berluti’s verified affidavit, the boy’s suicide. | 法官大人,Berluti先生被证实的供述,男孩的自杀。 |
[40:42] | I have to admit it gives me serious pause. | 我不得不承认这使我停下来进行慎重的考量 |
[40:45] | Then this morning Mr. Olson took a polygraph which he passed | 今早,Olson先生通过了测谎试验 |
[40:50] | though that’s not legally admissible, | 虽然这在法律上是不被接受的, |
[40:52] | it should certainly be deemed reliable | 但应该无疑地被视为可靠的 |
[40:54] | and well the Commonwealth no longer believes he committed the crime. | 联邦政府不再认为他犯下了罪行 |
[40:58] | At the minimum he should be granted a new trial. | 至少他应该得到一个新的审判。 |
[41:01] | Oh, if he is granted a new trial, | 噢,如果他被准许进行新的审判 |
[41:03] | will the Commonwealth pursue it? | 联邦政府会进行起诉吗? |
[41:05] | No, Your Honour. | 不,法官大人 |
[41:06] | We couldn’t proceeding good faith at this point. | 在这个时点上我们不打算采用诚信原则(进行起诉) |
[41:08] | Well, then I am certainly not gonna waste anybody’s time. | 那么,我当然不会浪费任何人的时间。 |
[41:13] | Mr. Olson, you are a free man, | Olson先生,你自由了 |
[41:15] | the conviction is set aside, you can go. | 定罪取消,你可以走了 |
[41:28] | Jimmy, thank you, thank you. | Jimmy,谢谢你,谢谢你 |
[41:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |