时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on “The Practice”… | (前集回顾部分未作翻译) |
[00:03] | My client was in shock at the time of this interrogation. | |
[00:06] | He’d just found his wife dead less than an hour before this. | |
[00:09] | She said that if she turned up missing | |
[00:11] | that I should call the police | |
[00:13] | because Scott probably did something to her. | |
[00:14] | BOBBY: Objection! | |
[00:16] | We find the defendant Scott Wallace…guilty. | |
[00:20] | You got to get me out. | |
[00:22] | -Scott– -Get me out! | |
[00:23] | You got a problem. | |
[00:24] | The man is on the verge of a psychotic breakdown. | |
[00:27] | He needs to be transferred to a mental facility right now. | |
[00:29] | I’m convinced that Kyle Barrett | |
[00:31] | lied on the stand | |
[00:33] | after being coached by the prosecution. | |
[00:35] | Mr. Barrett, you had a meeting | |
[00:37] | with Richard Bay and Helen Gamble, did you not? | |
[00:39] | On the advice of counsel, | |
[00:40] | I’m exercising my fifth amendment right | |
[00:43] | not to answer your question. | |
[00:45] | I have been ordered to conduct a full hearing | |
[00:47] | into this perjury business. | |
[00:49] | That hearing has been thwarted by the primary witness | |
[00:50] | exercising his fifth amendment right. | |
[00:53] | The conviction of Scott Wallace is hereby set aside. | |
[00:55] | It is the order of this court that he be granted a new trial. | |
[00:58] | This is the part that kills us. | |
[01:03] | That’s the bomb. | |
[01:05] | This time you will have to testify. | |
[01:07] | I can handle all the witnesses. We’re in good shape there. | |
[01:09] | But that videotape | |
[01:11] | and your response to it on the stand– | |
[01:13] | that’s what will decide this case. | |
[01:16] | I’m ready. | |
[01:19] | Do you feel pressure because he’s your friend | 你感到压力很大,是因为被告是你的朋友 |
[01:23] | or because you failed him? | 还是因为你辜负了他? |
[01:26] | Both. | 都有吧 |
[01:28] | I want to get him out because I care about him | 因为我关心他所以想把他救出来 |
[01:31] | and, yeah, because I tried a lousy case. | 还有,的确,这案子我办得也很糟糕 |
[01:35] | Of course I feel pressure. How could I not? | 我当然会有压力,怎么不会呢? |
[01:38] | This guy committed murder, | 这个人杀了人 |
[01:40] | and the only thing standing between him and the street… | 唯一能阻止他脱罪的 |
[01:44] | is me. | 就是我 |
[01:45] | It’s a bit unusual for the lead prosecutor | 首席检控官突然转而认为他是无辜的 |
[01:48] | to suddenly flip and think he’s innocent. | 这有点不太寻常呀 |
[01:50] | Helen Gamble started feeling guilty over tactics, | Helen Gamble对战术策略问题有些感到内疚 |
[01:53] | and she became clouded by her conscience. | 而且她被她的善良蒙蔽了双眼 |
[01:55] | That’s all. | 仅此而已 |
[01:57] | She claims you coached a witness to lie. | 她宣称你教唆证人说谎 |
[02:01] | She’s wrong. | 她搞错了 |
[02:02] | Richard Bay will do anything. | Richard Bay什么都干得出来 |
[02:05] | D.A.s like him make it easier for defense attorneys like me | 他那样的地区检察官会使我这样的辩护律师更容易 |
[02:09] | to stay passionate about what we do | 对自己所做的事保持激情 |
[02:11] | because to me, he basically represents a police state. | 因为对我而言,他基本上就是一个警察国家的象征 |
[02:15] | Oh, I don’t expect it to be at all civil. | 噢,我不希望这些公布于众 |
[02:18] | Bobby Donnell fights for clients | Bobby Donnell为他的当事人而战 |
[02:21] | like it was his life on the line | 就如同他自己的生命遭到威胁一般 |
[02:23] | and Richard Bay prosecutes like the victim was his mother. | 而Richard Bay作为控方时就如同受害人是他母亲似的 |
[02:27] | Isn’t that good– zealous advocates? | 倾注热情的律师。。。这不好吗? |
[02:29] | Isn’t that what it should be about? | 不是就该就这样吗? |
[02:32] | One would think, | 人们会这么认为的 |
[02:33] | but when fights get this ugly, | 但是,一旦争斗变得有敌意了 |
[02:35] | it’s rarely in the interest of truth. | 很少再以真相为目的了 |
[02:38] | It’s messy. It gets personal. | 会很肮脏,变成了个人恩怨 |
[02:40] | Do you think you’ll win? | 你认为你们会赢吗? |
[02:42] | I know I will. | 我知道我们能赢 |
[02:44] | How can you be so sure? | 你怎么这么肯定? |
[02:45] | Because this time I have the video, | 因为这次我们有审讯录像证据 |
[02:47] | which means Scott Wallace | 那意味Scott Wallace |
[02:49] | will have to take the stand and explain it, | 必须要出庭作证进行解释 |
[02:52] | and when he does, I’ll get him. | 只要他到证人席上,我就把他拿下 |
[02:54] | He’ll lose it up there. | 他会栽在那里的 |
[02:56] | You watch. | 你就瞧好儿吧 |
[03:49] | (horns honking) | |
[03:56] | (siren wails) | |
[04:02] | Witnesses are never objective. | 证人永远都不是客观的 |
[04:05] | Of course, I want you to appear neutral, | 当然了,我希望你们表现得很中立 |
[04:07] | but you need to be every bit the advocate I am. | 但你们必须和我保持一致 |
[04:10] | Never forget– your goal is to help the prosecution | 千万别忘了。。。你们的目的就是协助检察官 |
[04:13] | secure a conviction, | 确保成功定罪 |
[04:15] | to put a murderer in prison. | 把谋杀犯送进监狱 |
[04:17] | That means you’re gonna have to stand up to Bobby Donnell. | 那意味着你们必须勇敢地面对Bobby Donnell |
[04:20] | You can’t be steered, | 你们不能被他掌控 |
[04:22] | and he will absolutely try to do just that. | 而他一定会试图这样去做 |
[04:24] | His whole defense is reasonable doubt. | 他全部的辩护策略就是合理怀疑 |
[04:26] | Every question he asks you, it’s to build reasonable doubt. | 他问你们的每一个问题,都是为了制造出合理怀疑 |
[04:29] | At the first trial | 在第一次庭审时 |
[04:31] | he got you all to admit things were possible, | 他让你们都承认一切皆有可能 |
[04:33] | and you all did so too submissively. | 而你们都过于顺从了 |
[04:36] | This is why I’ve brought Cindy Keller in tonight. | 这也就是我今晚找Cindy Keller来的原因 |
[04:38] | She’s our behavioral psychologist. | 她是我们的行为心理学家 |
[04:41] | When the defense lawyer | 当辩护律师 |
[04:43] | forces you to say the words that he wants you to say, | 迫使你们说出他想让你们说出的话时 |
[04:46] | you can, nevertheless, | 你仍然可以 |
[04:48] | use body language to convey your opinion. | 用肢体语言表达你的意见 |
[04:51] | It’s all a presentation, | 这完全是一种表演 |
[04:53] | and you have to train your witnesses | 你必须要训练你的证人们 |
[04:55] | to be showmen a little. | 去做一些表演 |
[04:57] | The key is, they can’t come off too much like advocates. | 关键在于,不能表演得太过头了 |
[05:00] | If they do, they have less credibility. | 如他们这样做,他们得可信度就下降了 |
[05:03] | We used to have an advantage. People trusted the police. | 以往我们是有优势得,因为人们信任警察 |
[05:06] | That advantage is gone now. | 现在这种优势不复存在了 |
[05:08] | Because they cheat, | 因为他们作弊 |
[05:10] | and Richard Bay will cheat. He absolutely will. | Richard Bay会作弊得,他绝对干得出来 |
[05:13] | That seems to be a refrain with you. | 这似乎是你的口头禅 |
[05:15] | One that I have to be mindful of the entire trial. | 这个案子我必须留心整个审判过程 |
[05:19] | What will be different about this trial? | 这一次有什么不同 |
[05:21] | I’m gonna win. | 我会赢的 |
[05:23] | I mean tactics, evidence, witnesses. | 我是指战术策略、证据、证人 |
[05:25] | What will be different there? | 这些方面的不同点在于? |
[05:30] | That tape… | 那个录像证据。。。 |
[05:33] | that damn videotape. | 那盘该死的录像带 |
[05:35] | He’ll play it every chance he gets. | 一有机会他就会拿出来 |
[05:39] | We think you had an argument. | 我觉得你们吵了架, |
[05:42] | You hit her… maybe by accident. | 你打了她。。。也许只是出于偶然 |
[05:45] | She was unconscious. | 她失去了知觉 |
[05:47] | You were afraid of how it might look. | 你担心被看出这是怎么回事 |
[05:50] | You put her in the car to make it look like a suicide. | 你把她放到车里,让这看起来像自杀 |
[05:55] | That’s what happened, isn’t it? | 这就是实际情况,不是吗? |
[06:06] | Detective Larson, does that videotape | Larson警探,这个录像 |
[06:09] | fairly and accurately depict what happened in that room? | 清楚而准确地描述那个房间里发生的情况,是吗? |
[06:12] | Yes, it does. | 是的 |
[06:14] | What did happen in that room? | 那个屋子里发生了什么? |
[06:16] | From my experience, | 以我的经验 |
[06:17] | Scott Wallace admitted to killing his wife. | Scott Wallace承认杀害了他的妻子 |
[06:20] | Objection. | 反对 |
[06:21] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[06:23] | Did he ever say he killed his wife? | 他说过他杀了他妻子吗? |
[06:26] | -No, but– -In fact, he maintained his innocence, | -没有,但是。。。 -实际上,他坚称他是无辜的 |
[06:28] | and he still does, doesn’t he, detective? | 而且他始终如此,不是吗? |
[06:30] | But when confronted– | 但当面对。。。 |
[06:31] | When you say “admitted,” | 当你说“承认”的时候 |
[06:33] | you mean the behavior we just witnessed on this tape. | 你是指我们刚刚从录像上看到的行为举止 |
[06:36] | -Right, detective? -Correct. | -对吧,警探先生? -没错 |
[06:38] | With words, he’s always maintained his innocence, | 从言语方面,他始终坚称自己是无辜的 |
[06:41] | hasn’t he, detective? | 不是吗,警探先生? |
[06:42] | With words, yes. | 从言语方面嘛,是的 |
[06:44] | Are you a psychologist, detective? | 你是个心理学家吗,警探先生 |
[06:47] | No, I’m not. | 不,我不是 |
[06:49] | And if a psychologist was of the opinion | 那么如果一个心理学家认为 |
[06:50] | that Mr. Wallace’s behavior on that tape– | 录像中Wallace先生的举止。。。 |
[06:52] | Objection. He’s trying to introduce psychiatric testi– | 反对,他试图引申出心理学家的证词。。。 |
[06:55] | I’m posing a hypothetical to the witness. | 我在向证人提出假设问题 |
[06:57] | I’ll allow it. | 我允许 |
[06:58] | If a psychologist was of the opinion that | 如果一个心理学家认为 |
[07:01] | Mr. Wallace’s breakdown on that tape | 录像中Wallace先生的举止 |
[07:02] | was more the product of despondency– | 更多源自于沮丧的。。。 |
[07:04] | Your honor, if he wants to introduce psychiatric testimony, he– | 法官大人,如果他想引申出心理学家的证词,他应。。。 |
[07:07] | Mr. Bay, your objection is overruled. | Bay先生,你的反对被驳回了。 |
[07:09] | Once again, | 我再说一遍 |
[07:12] | if a psychologist looked at that tape | 如果一个心理学家看了这段录像 |
[07:15] | and concluded that it did not constitute | 而得出那并不等同于 |
[07:17] | an admission to the crime, | 认罪的结论的话 |
[07:18] | do you have any medical training | 你有什么医学知识 |
[07:20] | which would enable you to overrule him? | 能使你去推翻他的结论? |
[07:21] | Do I have any medical training? | 我有什么医学知识? |
[07:23] | No. But– | 没有,但是。。。 |
[07:25] | Thank you, detective. That’s all. | 谢谢你,警探先生,就这些了 |
[07:28] | How many suspects have you interrogated | 在你的职业生业里, |
[07:30] | in the course of your career? | 你审问过多少嫌犯? |
[07:32] | Hundreds. | 数以百计 |
[07:33] | Hundreds. Do you think you would recognize | 数以百计,你认为如果你看到一次默认了罪行的话 |
[07:37] | a silent admission if you saw one? | 你就可以辨识出来,是吗? |
[07:38] | Absolutely. | 绝对没问题 |
[07:39] | Based on your experience as a police officer | 基于你作为一个 |
[07:42] | who has conducted hundreds of interrogations, | 进行过几百次审问的警官的经验 |
[07:45] | what did Scott Wallace’s silence convey to you? | Scott Wallace的沉默给你传达了什么信息? |
[07:48] | An admission that he committed murder. | 对他所犯罪行的坦白 |
[07:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:53] | Do you have any formal training in behavioral psychology? | 你有行为心理学方面的正式训培训吗? |
[07:56] | No, I don’t. | 没有 |
[07:57] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[08:04] | When we first started, it was just Bobby and me, | 一开始,这个事务所只有Bobby和我 |
[08:07] | and he was so wide-eyed– | 每个案子,他都那么投入。。。 |
[08:10] | every case, his eyes– | 他的眼神。。。 |
[08:12] | Oh, and if it was a murder case, | 噢,如果赶上一个谋杀案, |
[08:14] | God, the light coming out from his eyes… | 天呐,他眼睛里会冒出光来。。。 |
[08:17] | and it didn’t bother him a bit if the guy was probably guilty. | 是否真的有罪,我们对此一点也不费神 |
[08:21] | He’d say, “Bec, we defend the guilty | 他说“Bec,我们为罪犯辩护, |
[08:23] | because ultimately it protects the innocent.” | 因为这最终能保护无辜者。” |
[08:25] | Or he’d say that was the high– | 他说当你遇到一个实际是无辜的嫌犯时 |
[08:27] | You know, when you got a guy that was actually innocent. | 那是最。。。你懂的 |
[08:31] | And now he hates it when they’re innocent, | 而今,他讨厌接这样无辜者的案子 |
[08:34] | like this one. | 就像现在这个案子 |
[08:36] | It’s too much pressure. | 压力太大了 |
[08:38] | That’s why none of us last on this job. | 那就是为什么我们中没有人能把这份工作坚持到底 |
[08:40] | You can only bear defending the guilty. | 你只能承受得了为罪犯辩护 |
[08:44] | And how long can anyone last doing that? | 不管对于谁,这种事能坚持多久? |
[08:48] | He was screaming at her, calling her a liar. | 他冲她大喊大叫,说她是骗子 |
[08:51] | She was pleading with him to stop screaming. | 她恳求他别再喊叫了 |
[08:54] | Are you sure this was around 9:30 p. m.? | 你确定那是在晚上九点半? |
[08:57] | Yes. That’s when I walk my dog. | 是的,那时候我正在遛狗 |
[09:00] | You recognized my client’s voice screaming | 你能听出来我的当事人的叫喊声 |
[09:02] | because you’d heard him scream before? | 是因为你以前听到过他的叫喊声? |
[09:04] | -Many times. -So there wasn’t anything | -听到过很多次 -所以当晚他们吵架 |
[09:06] | hugely unusual about them arguing that night. | 也算不上很异常了。 |
[09:09] | No. They fought a lot. | 不,他们吵得很凶 |
[09:11] | And, in fact, you didn’t call the police | 而实际上,你也没有报警 |
[09:14] | or try to intervene, did you, sir? | 或者试图去劝架,是吗,先生? |
[09:18] | No. | 没有 |
[09:20] | I wasn’t crazy about calling that witness in the first trial. | 我在第一次庭审时传唤那名证人并非不理智 |
[09:24] | I wasn’t thrilled about it here. | 我对他的作证并不报太大希望 |
[09:26] | But I have to establish a time line. | 但是我必须要建立一条时间线 |
[09:28] | As a rule, | 一般来说 |
[09:29] | when you come across anemic little wimps like Mr. Berenson | 当你面对像Berenson先生这样 |
[09:32] | who haven’t got the guts to get involved at the time, | 当时都没有勇气出面干预的软弱的窝囊废时 |
[09:35] | you can be sure | 你可以肯定 |
[09:36] | they’ll be pretty impotent as witnesses, too. | 他们在作证时也会非常无能 |
[09:39] | But I needed to get in the time line. | 但是,我需要得到这条时间线 |
[09:43] | Why are you so sure he’s innocent? | 你为什么确信他是无辜的? |
[09:46] | Because I am. I know him. | 因为我就是相信,我了解他 |
[09:49] | Plus, he passed the polygraph. That’s what really gets me. | 另外,他通过了测谎,那真正让我对此确信 |
[09:53] | I mean, they may not be admissible, | 我是说,虽然测谎结果不被法庭采纳 |
[09:55] | but lie detectors are pretty damn reliable. | 但是测谎仪是非常可靠的 |
[09:58] | And the prosecution and the police– | 并且控方和警察。。。 |
[10:00] | they believe in them more than I do. | 他们比我还相信测谎仪 |
[10:03] | Here we got a guy who passes over and over and over, | 而我们这里有个多次通过测谎的人 |
[10:07] | and they still prosecute. | 但他们却坚持起诉 |
[10:08] | Why, do you think? | 这是为什么?你怎么看? |
[10:10] | Because the media declared this a murder, | 因为媒体宣传这是一次谋杀 |
[10:12] | and there was an ensuing public outcry | 随之引发公众强烈要求 |
[10:14] | to get a conviction. | 进行定罪 |
[10:16] | There seems to be such a huge distrust here. | 似乎这件事上还是存在很严重的互不信任 |
[10:19] | You have no idea. | 你不了解 |
[10:20] | When I first started, | 起初 |
[10:22] | the D. A. s and defense attorneys– | 地区检察官和辩护律师。。。 |
[10:24] | we’d all go out at the end of the day. | 我们做完工作都一起出去 |
[10:26] | There were watering holes | 有个酒吧 |
[10:27] | where we’d congregate, swap stories. | 我们聚在那里,交流心得 |
[10:29] | You fought hard in court, but after, it was a– | 在法庭上针锋相对,但是过后,那真是。。。 |
[10:33] | it was a brotherhood. | 兄弟一般 |
[10:35] | Today we go our separate ways. | 而今,我们分道扬镳了 |
[10:38] | They don’t trust us, we don’t trust them. | 彼此不再信任 |
[10:40] | What happened? | 怎么回事? |
[10:42] | It became too much about winning and losing. | 因为太在乎胜负了 |
[10:47] | We analyzed a skin fragment | 我们对在被告指甲里 |
[10:49] | found under the defendant’s fingernail. | 发现的皮肤碎片进行了分析 |
[10:51] | It was a genetic match to Mrs. Wallace. | 和Wallace夫人的DNA匹配 |
[10:54] | Did you do any other DNA testing, Dr. Wang? | Wang先生,你还做过其他的DNA测试吗? |
[10:57] | Oh, yes. We found shed skin cells | 是的,我们在被害人的头颈部位 |
[10:58] | all over the victim’s head and neck. | 发现了一些散布的皮肤细胞 |
[11:01] | They belong to the defendant Scott Wallace. | 这些细胞是被告Scott Wallace的 |
[11:04] | If Scott Wallace were trying to save his wife, | 如果Scott Wallace尽力抢救他的妻子 |
[11:07] | resuscitate her, | 使她复苏 |
[11:09] | it’s possible his skin cells | 是不是有可能他的皮肤细胞 |
[11:11] | could have gotten on her that way, am I right? | 会以那种方式沾到她身上,我说的对吗? |
[11:13] | In my experience, that would be unlikely. | 以我的经验,不太可能 |
[11:16] | I asked if it were possible. | 我问的是有没有可能 |
[11:19] | I suppose it’s possible. | 我想是可能的 |
[11:21] | And it’s possible, isn’t it, doctor, | 医生,是不是有这种可能, |
[11:23] | that Mrs. Wallace had decided | Wallace太太决定 |
[11:25] | she wanted to compete in the Olympics, | 她想参加奥运会了 |
[11:27] | and while practicing a back flip, | 但她练习后滚翻的时候 |
[11:29] | she accidentally hit her head on a blunt instrument | 她的头不小心撞到了她丈夫手持的钝器上 |
[11:31] | -being held by the defendant? -Objection! | -这不可能吗? -反对! |
[11:33] | As long as we’re going for far-fetched possibilities… | 既然我们想去探寻那些遥不可及的可能性。。。 |
[11:35] | Move to strike! | 请求将此忽略! |
[11:36] | Mr. Bay, that is quite enough. | Bay先生,够了 |
[11:39] | Dr. Wang, | Wang医生, |
[11:40] | based on your years of experience | 以你作为法医病理学家多年的经验 |
[11:42] | as a forensic pathologist, did you form an opinion | 关于最可能发生的情形 |
[11:45] | as to the likelihood of what happened? | 你形成了看法吗? |
[11:48] | Yes, I did. | 是的 |
[11:49] | Could you state that for the court, please? | 可以请你向法庭陈述吗? |
[11:52] | She was killed by the defendant. | 她是被被告杀害的 |
[11:54] | The defense has suggested | 辩方称 |
[11:56] | Mr. Wallace discovered his wife in the car, | Wallace先生在车里发现他的妻子 |
[11:58] | she wasn’t breathing, he pulled her out, | 没有了呼吸,他把她拖出来 |
[12:00] | and her head struck the concrete floor, | 她的头撞到了水泥地板上 |
[12:03] | causing the fracture. | 导致头部骨折 |
[12:04] | Yes, I think this is a bit of a fairy tale. | 是的,但我认为这有点像童话故事 |
[12:07] | The fracture– she was hit very hard. | 从头部骨折看。。。她遭到了很沉重的击打 |
[12:10] | Is it possible that she could have gotten this | 是否可能是在她死后 |
[12:12] | after she died by her head hitting the floor? | 头撞到地板上所致? |
[12:14] | Anything’s possible. | 一切皆有可能 |
[12:16] | My medical opinion is somebody hit her. | 以我的医学观点看,是有人打了她 |
[12:19] | Doctor, in the first trial, | 医生,在第一次庭审中, |
[12:21] | you testified that this fracture was severe enough to be fatal. | 你作证说这个骨折的严重程度是足以致命的 |
[12:24] | Didn’t you say that? | 你是这么说的吧? |
[12:26] | I did. | 我说了 |
[12:27] | Was it the cause of death? | 那这个是死因吗? |
[12:29] | No, the cause of death was monoxide poisoning. | 不,死因是一氧化物中毒 |
[12:31] | So it’s possible that the head fracture | 那么,有可能这个头部骨折 |
[12:34] | came after she died of the car exhaust, right? | 是在她因汽车尾气致死后发生的,对吗? |
[12:37] | That’s not what I think happened, | 我不是这么认为的 |
[12:38] | but I can’t declare it to be impossible. | 但是我不能说这不可能 |
[12:40] | Doctor, you’re employed by the commonwealth, aren’t you? | 医生,你是受雇于州政府的,不是吗? |
[12:43] | -Yes. -Do you ever get afraid of losing your job | -是的 -你曾害怕过丢掉工作吗? |
[12:45] | if you don’t secure convictions– | 如果你不能促成定罪成功的话。。。 |
[12:46] | -Objection! -Sustained. | -反对! -反对有效 |
[12:47] | Goes to bias, your honor. | 证明其倾向性,法官大人 |
[12:49] | The objection is sustained. That’s it! | 反对有效,行了! |
[12:51] | Now let’s move on. | 继续 |
[12:53] | It’s what he does when he’s losing. | 他要输的时候就这个德性 |
[12:55] | It’s an excellent sign for the prosecution | 对于检方来说这是个好兆头 |
[12:58] | when Bobby Donnell starts to resort to crap like that. | 当Bobby Donnell开始像这样开始瞎扯的时候 |
[13:01] | It means he thinks he’s losing. | 就意味着他觉得自己要输了 |
[13:03] | In the first trial, | 在第一次庭审中, |
[13:04] | he was getting his possibles, then resting. | 他竭尽所能,然后完成举证 |
[13:07] | He was more desperate just then. | 方才他更加绝望了 |
[13:09] | Did you see it? | 你看到了吗? |
[13:11] | He’s going down again… | 他会再次失败。。。 |
[13:13] | this time with nothing to appeal. | 而这一次连上诉的借口都不会有了 |
[13:22] | You know, I keep thinking it’ll all get corrected. | 你知道,我一直认为一切都会得到纠正 |
[13:27] | They’ve made this terrible mistake, | 他们犯了这个严重的错误 |
[13:30] | and this is the land of truth and justice, | 这是真理和正义之地 |
[13:33] | it’ll all get cleared up. | 一切都会好起来的。 |
[13:35] | But here I am. | 但我还在这儿 |
[13:38] | The thinking is for you to get acquitted, | 现在的看法是,你的无罪开释 |
[13:42] | it’ll come down to your testimony. | 取决于你的证词 |
[13:45] | Yeah, I know this. | 是的,我知道 |
[13:47] | I know this. | 我知道的 |
[13:51] | Are you scared? | 你害怕吗? |
[13:56] | It’s way beyond that now. | 远远不止于此 |
[13:59] | I think that’s enough. | 我觉得差不多了 |
[14:01] | The arrangement is complete access. | 事先说好是全面的访谈 |
[14:03] | Well, that’s all. You’ll have to leave. | 行了 ,就这样吧,你必须离开了 |
[14:06] | Bobby, Kyle Barrett isn’t testifying. | Bobby,Kyle Barrett不出庭作证了 |
[14:07] | Why? | 为什么? |
[14:09] | Bay just notified the court they’re resting. We’re up. | Bay刚刚通知法庭,他们举证结束了,该我们举证了 |
[14:11] | Well, call Dr. Murphy. He’s going to– | 好吧,给Murphy博士打电话,他将要。。。 |
[14:12] | I did. He’s on his way. | 我打了,他在路上 |
[14:13] | Why isn’t her brother testifying? | 为什么她弟弟不作证了? |
[14:15] | I don’t need him. | 我不需要他作证 |
[14:17] | Plus, he’d get peeled like an onion up there. | 再说,他上去会被像洋葱一样给剥了皮 |
[14:19] | He’s a liability. | 他是个累赘 |
[14:20] | I thought you said he was telling the truth. | 我以为你说过他讲的是事实 |
[14:22] | I never said that. | 我可从没那么讲过 |
[14:24] | I only said I don’t know if he’s lying. | 我只是说我不知道他是否撒谎了 |
[14:26] | That sounds a little questionable. | 这话听起来有点怪怪的 |
[14:28] | Hey, question away. | 嘿,想问尽管问吧 |
[14:30] | I only put on the witnesses I think will help me win. | 我只会推出那些我认为有助于我的证人 |
[14:33] | Kyle Barrett doesn’t qualify. | Kyle Barrett并不合格 |
[14:35] | But this is the witness | 但是,正是这位证人 |
[14:37] | who got you the conviction in the first trial. | 在第一次庭审中使你成功定罪的 |
[14:39] | In the first trial, I didn’t have the video. | 在第一次庭审中,我不能使用录像做证据 |
[14:41] | Scott Wallace was suffering from clinical depression. | Scott Wallace患有临床抑郁症 |
[14:44] | Were you able to determine the cause, doctor? | 你能确定是怎么造成的吗,医生? |
[14:47] | Twin positional traumas. | 两个部位的创伤 |
[14:48] | The first was his wife’s death. | 首先是他妻子的死 |
[14:50] | The second, his being accused of that death. | 第二是他因此而遭到指控 |
[14:53] | Doctor, you recommended | 医生,是你建议 |
[14:55] | that Scott Wallace be hospitalized, did you not? | Scott Wallace住院治疗的吗? |
[14:58] | I did. | 是的 |
[14:59] | Can you tell us why? | 你能告诉我们原因吗? |
[15:00] | I found him to be very close | 我发现他非常接近 |
[15:02] | to a complete mental breakdown. | 精神彻底崩溃 |
[15:05] | Doctor, you’ve seen this tape before. | 医生,你之前看过这段录像, |
[15:06] | I want to play you a small portion again. | 我想再给你看一小段 |
[15:09] | …look like a suicide. | 。。。看起来像自杀 |
[15:12] | That’s what happened, isn’t it? | 那就是实际情况,不是吗? |
[15:19] | You’ve heard the prosecution characterize that moment | 你听到了控方对此定性为 |
[15:22] | as an admission of guilt by Scott Wallace. | Scott Wallace承认了犯罪 |
[15:25] | I think that conclusion | 我认为这个结论 |
[15:27] | is as dangerous as it is absurd. | 既是有害的,也是荒谬的 |
[15:29] | He’d only just discovered within the last two hours | 他两个小时前 |
[15:32] | that his wife was dead, | 才发现他的妻子死了 |
[15:33] | then he’s taken down to the police station, | 然后他被带到警察局 |
[15:36] | he’s hit with the accusation that he murdered her. | 他经受到谋杀他妻子的指控的打击 |
[15:38] | To a guilty man, that wouldn’t be as much of a shock, | 对于一个有罪的人,那应该不算是多大的震惊 |
[15:41] | but to an innocent one, | 但是对于一个无辜的人 |
[15:43] | that could cause the very trauma I’m talking about. | 会造成我谈到的那种严重的创伤 |
[15:45] | And when he dropped his head… | 他垂下头。。。 |
[15:46] | It was in shock. | 那就是处于震惊中 |
[15:47] | That was likely the beginning of his breakdown. | 那很可能是他精神崩溃的开始 |
[15:52] | You can state that for a medical certainty? | 你可以从医学上确定这一点吗? |
[15:54] | No, but– | 不能,但是。。。 |
[15:56] | And you were not in the room at the time, were you, doctor? | 而且你当时并不在审讯室,是吗,医生 |
[15:58] | No, I was not. | 不,我不在那里 |
[16:00] | But if that makes me incapable of drawing a conclusion | 但是,如果是基于录像 |
[16:02] | on the basis of the video tape, | 连我也没资格做出结论的话 |
[16:04] | why are you asking the jury to do so? | 为什么你要求陪审团去得出结论呢? |
[16:06] | You spoke of twin positional traumas, | 你谈到了双位创伤 |
[16:08] | one of those traumas being the loss of his wife. | 其中一个是丧妻 |
[16:11] | Yes? | 是呀 |
[16:13] | For this to be so, | 如果这一点成立的话 |
[16:14] | he would have to have loved his wife very deeply, I assume. | 我想,他一定是非常爱他的妻子 |
[16:17] | And he did, from my observations. | 以我的观察,他是的 |
[16:19] | Well, if this wife who he loved deeply | 那么,如果这个他深爱的妻子 |
[16:21] | told him she was leaving him, | 告诉他,她要离开他 |
[16:23] | -couldn’t that be traumatic? -Certainly. | -这可能会造成创伤吗? -肯定会 |
[16:26] | Is it possible that’s when this mental breakdown started– | 是不是有可能,当她说她要离开他时 |
[16:28] | when she said she was leaving him? | 那就是他开始精神崩溃之时? |
[16:29] | I suppose it’s possible, but I don’t think likely. | 我想这是可能的,但是我认为那不大可能 |
[16:32] | Doctor, according to your diagnosis, | 医生,根据你的诊断 |
[16:34] | you said Scott Wallace | 你说Scott Wallace |
[16:35] | was in danger of becoming psychotic, didn’t you? | 有患精神病的危险,不是吗? |
[16:38] | He never became psychotic, Mr. Bay. | 他从来也没有患上精神病,Bay先生 |
[16:45] | Sometimes when you get a tough witness, | 有时候你会遇到一个难对付的证人 |
[16:47] | you take what you can get and sit the hell down. | 尽你所能后,就见好就收吧 |
[16:50] | I thought I handled him well. | 我想我做得还不错 |
[16:52] | And now you have the victim’s psychiatrist. | 而现在你要面对受害者的心理医生了 |
[16:54] | I’m not afraid of him. | 我可不怕他 |
[16:55] | How can you not be? | 你怎么会不怕呢? |
[16:57] | He’s going to testify that she was depressed. | 他将会作证说她有抑郁症 |
[16:59] | He’ll say depressed, then on cross, | 他会说抑郁症的事,然后交叉质询时, |
[17:01] | I’ll get him to say she wasn’t suicidal, then on redirect, | 我会让他说出来她没有自杀倾向,然后又进入直接质询 |
[17:04] | Bobby will claim he has motive to say she wasn’t suicidal | Bobby会声称那个医生有动机说她没有自杀倾向 |
[17:07] | so he doesn’t have her blood on his hands. | 因为这样说可以使他无须为她的自杀负责。 |
[17:09] | It’s vintage Bobby Donnell. | 这就是最经典的Bobby Donnell |
[17:11] | He gets a witness to help him, then he hangs him out. | 他找一个证人来帮他,然后他就把这个证人给整死 |
[17:12] | You watch. | 你就等着看吧 |
[17:14] | You seem a little more agitated now. | 你现在似乎有点激动呀 |
[17:16] | I’m not agitated. This is adrenaline. | 我没激动,这是兴奋 |
[17:18] | It’s a fight. This– | 这是一场战斗,这是。。。 |
[17:19] | I’m not agitated. | 我可没激动。 |
[17:21] | My little informal poll in the gallery– | 我在旁听席做的非正式民意测验。。。 |
[17:24] | they think you’re losing. | 他们觉得你要输 |
[17:26] | I’m not losing. | 我不会输的 |
[17:28] | Why would people think you are? | 为什么大家都这么觉得? |
[17:30] | Because with galleries, it’s about popularity. | 因为就旁听席而言,那是关乎于名气或喜好 |
[17:32] | Bobby Donnell is good-looking. | Bobby Donnell是长得帅气 |
[17:34] | With juries, it’s about weighing evidence, | 但说到陪审团,则是重在证据 |
[17:37] | and they’ll do that. | 他们会这样做的 |
[17:38] | I’m not losing. | 我不会输的 |
[17:42] | What were you treating Karen Wallace for? | 你对Karen Wallace做哪方面的治疗? |
[17:45] | Anxiety, depression. | 焦虑,抑郁 |
[17:46] | Depression? | 抑郁? |
[17:48] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:49] | What was she depressed over? | 她因为什么而抑郁? |
[17:51] | Mainly her marriage. | 主要是因为婚姻 |
[17:52] | She felt it was rather loveless. | 她感到非常缺少爱情 |
[17:55] | Also her life. | 她的生活也是如此 |
[17:56] | Did you regard her as suicidal? | 你认为她有自杀倾向吗? |
[17:59] | No, I did not. | 不,我不这么认为 |
[18:00] | But, doctor, now that she’s turned up dead, | 但是,医生,但她现在突然死了 |
[18:03] | do you now think perhaps she was suicidal? | 你现在或许认为她是有自杀倾向的? |
[18:06] | No, I do not. | 不,我不这么认为 |
[18:08] | Many people experience depression and hopelessness. | 很多人经历过抑郁和绝望 |
[18:11] | That doesn’t mean they take their lives. | 但那不意味着他们会自杀 |
[18:13] | I mean, the very reason that Mrs. Wallace had come to me | 我是说,Wallace来找我治疗的主要原因是 |
[18:16] | was to improve things. She was looking forward. | 想得到一些改善,她对此有期待 |
[18:19] | I don’t believe at all that she had the mental state | 我根本不相信她有 |
[18:21] | to take her own life. | 结束自己生命的想法 |
[18:22] | How did it make you feel | 得知你治疗过其抑郁症的一个病人 |
[18:24] | to learn that a patient you had been treating for depression | 自杀的消息后 |
[18:27] | killed herself? | 你感觉如何? |
[18:29] | Obviously, it was distressing to hear it. | 显然,听到这个消息让人很难过 |
[18:31] | Certainly a person experiencing hopelessness, | 当然了,一个经历过绝望、 |
[18:34] | suffering depression, found dead from monoxide poisoning | 患有抑郁症、死于来自连接到汽车排气管的一根软管 |
[18:36] | with a hose connected to the exhaust pipe of the car– | 的一氧化物中毒。。。 |
[18:40] | you had to wonder if maybe she did kill herself. | 你不得不怀疑是否她可能是自杀的 |
[18:43] | Didn’t you at least wonder, doctor? | 医生,你一点也不怀疑是吗? |
[18:45] | I wondered, | 我有这个怀疑 |
[18:47] | but I still don’t believe she took her life. | 但是我还是不相信她是自杀 |
[18:50] | Well, if it were foreseeable that she might take her life | 那么,如果可以预见到她可能会自杀 |
[18:52] | and you did nothing, | 而你漠然处之 |
[18:53] | you might be held liable, isn’t that right, doctor? | 你可能要承担责任,对吗,医生? |
[18:56] | What are you saying, Mr. Donnell? | Donnell先生,你在说什么? |
[18:58] | I’m saying you have motive to deny she was suicidal. | 我在说,你有动机否认她有自杀倾向。 |
[19:01] | Objection– leading. | 反对。。。引导证人 |
[19:03] | After she’s found dead, you don’t even | 在得知她死了之后,你甚至没有 |
[19:05] | notify the police that you were treating her? | 告知警方你在对她进行治疗? |
[19:07] | -No. -What were you trying to hide? | -没有 -你想隐瞒什么? |
[19:09] | -Objection. -Permission to treat the witness as hostile. | -反对 -请准许将证人视为敌意证人 |
[19:11] | -Objection. -Overruled. | -反对 -反对无效 |
[19:13] | Why not come forward to anybody and say, | 为什么不出面跟大家说 |
[19:15] | “Hey, I was treating her”? | “我正对她进行治疗”? |
[19:17] | -There’s a privilege. -Which does not survive the patient’s death. | -这是受限于医患保密特权的 -但当病人死亡之后就失效了 |
[19:18] | You were trying to hide the fact | 你在试图隐瞒 |
[19:20] | that you were treating her | 你对她进行治疗的事实 |
[19:21] | because you knew she was potentially suicidal. | 因为你知道她可能会自杀 |
[19:23] | Objection! It’s argumentative… | 反对!!争议性问题。。。 |
[19:25] | I knew nothing of the sort. Mrs. Wallace– | 我对此完全不了解,Wallace太太。。。 |
[19:27] | -Your honor — -Just like you are now. You let this man go down… | -法官大人。。。 -就像你现在一样,是你让这个证人被击垮的 |
[19:29] | because you were afraid of being hit with a judgment. | 因为你害怕你对此的评估遭到批评 |
[19:31] | All right! Mr. Donnell, dial it back. | 行了!Donnell,平复下来 |
[19:37] | Did you tell that witness | 你告诉证人 |
[19:39] | you would be going after him like that? | 你会这么逼问他吗? |
[19:41] | -No. -Because… | -没有 -因为。。。 |
[19:43] | Because I needed him, and he never would have cooperated | 因为我需要他,但他如果知道会怎么样的话 |
[19:45] | knowing what he was in for. | 他绝不会配合的 |
[19:47] | Why didn’t you just call him as a hostile witness | 那为什么不直接把他作为敌对证人传唤 |
[19:49] | to begin with? | 一开始? |
[19:50] | Because I knew I’d get more out of him this way. | 因为我知道我这样做,我会从他身上得到更多 |
[19:53] | First as an ally and then blind-siding him? | 先当成盟友,然后攻其不备? |
[19:56] | I don’t think I blind-sided him, but…yes. | 我不认为攻其不备了,但是。。。算是吧 |
[19:59] | Don’t you think that perpetuates | 你不认为你之前谈到的 |
[20:01] | the very distrust you spoke of before | 那种检察官和辩护律师之间的不信任 |
[20:03] | between D. A. s and defense attorneys? | 会一直持续下去吗? |
[20:05] | My goal here isn’t to repair trust. | 我的目的并不是修补信任感 |
[20:07] | It’s to get an acquittal. | 而是要得到无罪开释 |
[20:09] | And you’re comfortable with yourself? | 你对此心安理得吗? |
[20:12] | Yes. | 当然 |
[20:15] | The truth is, | 事实是 |
[20:17] | he isn’t comfortable, | 他并不心安理得 |
[20:18] | and when he and Lindsay have this baby, | 当他和Lindsay有了这个孩子 |
[20:22] | it’s going to be the beginning of the end | 这将是他刑事辩护生涯终结 |
[20:24] | of his criminal defense days. | 的先兆 |
[20:26] | Why? | 为什么? |
[20:28] | Because with Bobby, this job is who he is, | 因为对于Bobby来说,这个工作就是他的全部 |
[20:32] | and when he starts to see himself | 而当他开始透过他儿女的眼睛 |
[20:35] | through his son’s eyes or his daughter’s eyes, | 来审视自己时 |
[20:40] | forget it. It’s over. | 算了,结束了 |
[20:45] | It’s gone as well as we could have expected. | 都过去了,我们预料的也是那样 |
[20:47] | That videotape is still the biggest piece of evidence, | 但那录像还是最重要的证据 |
[20:50] | and you’ll have to account for it. | 你必须要做出解释 |
[20:52] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[20:54] | Just tell the truth, Scott. | 之说出事实,Scott |
[20:56] | The truth is on our side here. | 真相是站在我们这边的 |
[20:59] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[21:01] | Uh, you want to go over my testimony again or… | 呃,你想再看一遍我的证词,或者。。。 |
[21:03] | Actually, I prefer not to. | 实际上,我宁愿不去看 |
[21:05] | I don’t want it coming off rehearsed. | 我不想显得是排练过的 |
[21:10] | Now, Richard Bay– | 现在,Richard Bay。。。 |
[21:12] | he’s going to come at you all rabid. | 他将像疯狗一样扑向你 |
[21:15] | That’s his style. | 这是他的风格 |
[21:16] | I can protect you, but I prefer not to. | 我能保护你,但我更希望我无须那样 |
[21:19] | I can handle him. | 我能应付他 |
[21:21] | Lastly, | 最后 |
[21:22] | your anger towards your wife | 你因你太太对你所做的。。。 |
[21:24] | for what she did to you– | 而产生的怨恨 |
[21:26] | let’s play that down tomorrow. | 明天把那些放下 |
[21:28] | We don’t want them seeing anger. | 我们不希望他们看到你的愤怒 |
[21:31] | Okay. | 好的 |
[21:36] | You all right, Scott? | 你准备好了吗,Scott? |
[21:38] | I’m nervous. | 我有些紧张 |
[21:40] | Other than that… | 除此之外。。。 |
[21:50] | You look scared. | 你看起来有些害怕 |
[21:53] | This has been a long haul. | 这是一个漫长的过程 |
[21:57] | Have you seen any good appeal issues so far? | 截至目前,你有没有看到一些好的上诉理由? |
[22:01] | No. | 没有 |
[22:04] | That’s the thing about Judge Hiller. | 那是Hiller法官主持的案子 |
[22:06] | Her trials don’t get overturned. | 她主审的案子没有被推翻过 |
[22:09] | So basically if you don’t win here, | 那么基本上来说,如果你这次赢不了 |
[22:12] | Scott Wallace is never coming out. | Scott Wallace就出不来了 |
[22:28] | Were you surprised | 你对Bobby在摄像机前说“是的” |
[22:29] | Bobby said yes to the cameras? | 感到惊讶吗? |
[22:30] | Not really. If he loses, he hopes you catch | 不怎么惊讶,如果他输了,他会希望 |
[22:33] | some prosecutorial misconduct on tape, | 在录像上找出一些检察官的不当行为 |
[22:35] | give him grounds for appeal. | 作为上诉理由 |
[22:36] | What if he wins, | 如果他赢了 |
[22:38] | and Richard Bay spots misconduct on Bobby’s part? | 而Richard Bay找出Bobby的一些不当行为呢? |
[22:41] | Doesn’t matter. Double jeopardy. | 没关系,一罪不二审 |
[22:42] | Not guilty is not guilty. | 无罪就是无罪 |
[22:45] | (reporters shouting questions) | |
[22:52] | No comment. | 无可奉告 |
[22:54] | Bay’s got the monitors set up. | Bay把显示器搬出来了 |
[22:55] | It looks like he plans to show the tape again. | 看来他又要放那段录像了 |
[22:56] | What a shock. You tell Scott? | 多吓人呀!你跟Scott说了吧? |
[22:58] | He’s ready. | 他准备好了 |
[23:00] | She just announced that she planned to leave me. | 她刚跟我说她要离开我 |
[23:03] | Did you see this coming? | 你预料到了吗? |
[23:05] | Not at all. We’d had our problems, | 完全没有,我们之间是有些问题 |
[23:07] | and I knew she was unhappy, | 而且我也知道她并不开心 |
[23:09] | but I never expected her to walk out. | 但是我从未料到她要走 |
[23:12] | Did you want to stay married? | 你想维持婚姻吗? |
[23:14] | Yes. I asked if we could get therapy. | 是的,我问她如果我们是否可以去接受心理咨询 |
[23:18] | She said it was too late. | 她说太迟了 |
[23:20] | She’d already made up her mind, | 她已经做了决定 |
[23:22] | and she said that she wanted to live life without me. | 而且她说她不想和我生活在一起了 |
[23:26] | She, uh, she said it had been years | 她,呃,她说已经有几年了 |
[23:29] | since she felt the slightest twinge of happiness with me. | 我跟我在一起感觉不到一丝一毫的快乐 |
[23:33] | I mean, that was how she put it– | 我是说,她就是那么说的。。。 |
[23:36] | “the slightest twinge,” | “一丝一毫” |
[23:38] | and she said she wanted out. | 她说她要走 |
[23:41] | And then what happened? | 然后发生了什么? |
[23:42] | We argued. | 我们争吵起来 |
[23:44] | Uh, we engaged in some name-calling. | 呃,我们互相开骂 |
[23:48] | Did you call her a liar? | 你骂她是骗子了吗? |
[23:51] | Among other things, yeah. | 是的,还有别的 |
[23:54] | Then I went upstairs to the bedroom, | 然后我上楼去了卧室 |
[23:57] | got ready for bed, and watched TV. | 准备睡觉,还看了一会儿电视 |
[23:59] | Your wife tells you she’s leaving you, | 你的妻子告诉你她将离开你 |
[24:01] | and you watch television? | 而你却去看电视? |
[24:03] | Well, I had hoped that when she came up | 我希望等她平静下来一点之后 |
[24:05] | after things calmed down a little bit, | 回来的的时候 |
[24:07] | that I could, you know, maybe talk her out of it. | 我也许能劝她放弃那个想法 |
[24:10] | So what happened? | 然后发生了什么? |
[24:12] | Well, I waited. | 我等了 |
[24:14] | After about an hour and a half, | 大概一个半小时 |
[24:16] | she still hadn’t come up, | 她还没来 |
[24:18] | so I figured she’d probably had a drink | 所以我想她也许喝了杯酒 |
[24:21] | and decided to sleep on the couch. | 决定在沙发睡了 |
[24:23] | So I went down and, uh, she wasn’t there. | 所以我下楼,呃,她不在那儿 |
[24:27] | I thought, well, maybe she left, | 我又想,也许她离开了 |
[24:29] | but I thought I would have heard the car pull out. | 但是我想那样我应该能听到车出去的声音 |
[24:33] | So, uh, I went to check, | 于是,我去车库查看 |
[24:38] | and, uh, | 但,呃, |
[24:39] | uh, when I opened the door to the garage, | 当我打开车库门 |
[24:45] | uh, I just smelled the exhaust, | 我闻到了尾气的味道 |
[24:48] | and it was all smoky in there. | 那里还有烟 |
[24:51] | And then what? | 然后呢? |
[24:54] | I went in, | 我走进去 |
[24:56] | and, uh, I had to open the garage door | 我不得不打开车库门 |
[24:59] | because I couldn’t breathe the exhaust, | 因为我受不了那尾气 |
[25:01] | and, uh, and I saw the hose. | 然后,呃,我看见了一根胶皮软管 |
[25:11] | Mr. Wallace? | Wallace先生? |
[25:13] | It was a garden hose. | 花园里用的软管 |
[25:15] | It was taped to the exhaust | 用胶带粘在 |
[25:17] | at the exhaust pipe of the car, | 车的排气孔上 |
[25:20] | and, uh, the car was running, | 而,车是打着火的 |
[25:23] | and it– the hose went into the front window. | 呃。。。软管插进车前窗 |
[25:28] | What did you do then? | 你之后做了什么? |
[25:30] | I ran to the car. | 我向车跑过去 |
[25:32] | I opened the door, and there she was. | 打开车门,她。。。 |
[25:35] | She, uh, her head was back and her eyes were closed, | 她,她的头向后仰着,闭着眼 |
[25:38] | and she wasn’t breathing. | 她没有了呼吸 |
[25:41] | It looked like she was sleeping. | 看着像是她睡着了 |
[25:44] | Uh, I screamed “Karen” and I shook her. | 噢,我喊道“Karen”,并摇晃她 |
[25:49] | She wouldn’t wake up, and I pulled her out. | 她没有醒过来,我把她拖出来 |
[25:52] | She fell, | 她摔到地上 |
[25:55] | and, uh, I tried giving her mouth-to-mouth | 然后,我给她做人工呼吸 |
[26:00] | and chest compressions, but she wasn’t breathing. | 按压胸部按压,但她还是没有呼吸 |
[26:02] | She didn’t have a pulse. | 她没有脉搏了 |
[26:05] | I, uh, | 我。。。 |
[26:10] | kept, uh, you know, holding her nose closed | 不停地,捏住她的鼻子 |
[26:14] | and trying to blow air into her lungs, | 努力往她嘴里吹气 |
[26:16] | but she wouldn’t come back. | 但她回不来了 |
[26:20] | She wouldn’t come back. | 她回不来了 |
[26:23] | And when the police arrived, | 警察到的时候 |
[26:25] | did you tell them all this? | 你把这些都跟他们说了吗? |
[26:28] | Yeah, yeah. | 是的,是的 |
[26:29] | Uh, they asked me to come to the station. | 呃,他们要我去警察局 |
[26:33] | Scott, on that videotape, | Scott,在录像中 |
[26:35] | when they accused you of killing Karen, | 当他们指控你杀了 Karen时, |
[26:39] | why didn’t you deny it? | 你为什么没有否认? |
[26:43] | I don’t think I could believe what I was even hearing. | 我想我甚至不敢相信我所听到的 |
[26:48] | I mean, I, uh, I still couldn’t believe she was dead, | 我是说,我,我仍然不相信她已经死了 |
[26:52] | and then some district attorney was saying that I killed her? | 然后一些检察官说是我杀了她? |
[26:57] | I remember feeling nauseous, | 我记得我感到恶心 |
[26:59] | like I was gonna black out. | 像是要晕倒似的 |
[27:02] | I’m going to give you another chance | 我再给你一次机会 |
[27:05] | to answer that question. | 去回答那个问题 |
[27:10] | Did you kill your wife? | 是你杀了你妻子吗? |
[27:13] | No. | 不 |
[27:21] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[27:22] | It’s just for a– for six months, | 这就是为了。。。六个月来 |
[27:25] | you have been asking me not to speak to anyone, | 你要求我不要跟任何人讲话 |
[27:29] | and I never have, | 而我也没有讲过 |
[27:31] | and I’ve waited for this day to come before everyone | 我等这一天到来,在所有人面前 |
[27:37] | and finally say I didn’t kill her. | 最终说出来,我没有杀她 |
[27:42] | I did not commit any crime. | 我没有犯罪 |
[27:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[28:14] | You’re an investment banker. | 你是个投资银行家 |
[28:15] | Is that correct, Mr. Wallace? | 对吗,Wallace先生? |
[28:17] | Yes, that’s right. | 是的,没错 |
[28:19] | In the month or so | 在你妻子死前 |
[28:20] | prior to your wife’s sudden death, | 一个月左右 |
[28:22] | how were things going for you at work? | 你的工作方面情况如何? |
[28:25] | It had– it had been rough. | 挺艰难的 |
[28:27] | The market was off. | 市场不太景气 |
[28:29] | Had you been told you might be let go? | 有人告诉你可能会被解雇吗? |
[28:32] | Well, my firm was scaling back, yes. | 是的,我的事务所是在缩减规模 |
[28:34] | I was told that my position was tenuous. | 我被告知我的职位很不稳固 |
[28:37] | How about your own personal assets? | 你个人的财务状况如何? |
[28:40] | You suffered some losses, hadn’t you? | 你遭受了一些损失,不是吗? |
[28:42] | A few, yes. | 是的,有一些损失 |
[28:45] | At the time of your wife’s sudden death | 在你妻子突然死去的时候, |
[28:47] | you were nearly broke, weren’t you, sir? | 你已经濒临破产了,不是吗?先生 |
[28:48] | Well, I would hardly say I was broke, Mr. Bay. | 恐怕还不能说要破产了,Bay先生 |
[28:51] | I did live in a million-dollar house. | 我的房子就值一百万美金 |
[28:53] | Fully paid for? | 全款买的? |
[28:54] | No. We had a mortgage of about $400,000. | 不,我们有大约四十万美金的贷款 |
[28:57] | Any other assets? | 还有其他资产吗? |
[28:59] | Uh, my savings, some stocks. | 呃,我的储蓄,还有些股票 |
[29:02] | Totaling more or less than $50,000 | 总共差不多五万美金 |
[29:05] | at the time of your wife’s sudden death? | 在你妻子突然死去的时候? |
[29:08] | At the exact time, less, but stocks have a– | 就在那时,不到五万,但是股票。。。 |
[29:11] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你,先生 |
[29:12] | So at the time of your wife’s sudden death, | 那么说,在你妻子突然死去的时候, |
[29:15] | your assets totaled about $650,000. | 你的资产大约是六十五万美金 |
[29:17] | A divorce would have cut that in half. | 一次离婚就把资产腰斩了 |
[29:20] | Add to that attorney fees plus alimony, | 加上律师费和赡养费 |
[29:22] | plus you were looking at unemployment. | 加上你在考虑可能会失业 |
[29:24] | Did you have a life insurance policy on your wife | 在你妻子突然死去的时候 |
[29:27] | at the time of her sudden death? | 你妻子有人寿保险吗? |
[29:29] | -Objection. -JUDGE HILLER: Overruled. | -反对 -反对无效 |
[29:31] | Did you, sir? | 有吗,先生? |
[29:32] | There were life insurance policies for both of us. | 那是夫妻联名共保人寿险 |
[29:35] | The policy was to pay you over $1 million | 如果她死了, |
[29:37] | in the event of her death. Isn’t that correct? | 按保险契约是要赔付给你一百万美金,不是吗? |
[29:39] | Yes. | 是的 |
[29:41] | When did you renew that policy, sir? | 你什么时候续保的,先生? |
[29:44] | We both renewed them– | 我们俩都续保了。。。 |
[29:45] | When did you both renew that policy? | 你们俩什么时候续保的? |
[29:48] | Oh, I think it was around May. | 哦,我想大概是五月份吧 |
[29:50] | Approximately a month before her sudden death. | 在她突然死去前大约一个月 |
[29:54] | Did you kill your wife for money, sir? | 你是为了钱杀了你妻子吗,先生? |
[29:57] | No, I did not. | 不,我不是 |
[29:58] | Gee, you seem capable of denying it now. | 哎哟,你现在好像能说不了 |
[30:01] | -Objection. -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[30:03] | You’ve got a suicidal woman on your hands. | 有个有自杀倾向的女人需要你照料 |
[30:05] | You get into a big fight, | 你们大吵一通 |
[30:06] | and you go upstairs and watch television? | 而你却上楼看电视去了? |
[30:08] | Well, I didn’t know she was on the verge | 听着,我不知道她濒临 |
[30:10] | of taking her life, | 自杀的边缘 |
[30:12] | and, hey, I was angry that night, too. | 而且,喂,我当晚也很生气。 |
[30:13] | -Angry enough to kill her? -No. | -生气,气到足以去杀了她? -不是 |
[30:15] | Angry enough to have a mental breakdown? | 生气到足以精神崩溃? |
[30:16] | Angry enough to have a mental breakdown, sir? | 生气到足以精神崩溃吗,先生? |
[30:19] | Objection. Calls for a medical opinion. | 反对,这是要求证人发表医学观点 |
[30:22] | I’ll put it in layman’s terms. | 那我用通俗的问法 |
[30:23] | -Angry enough to snap? -No. | -气到发疯? -没有 |
[30:26] | You’re about to lose your job. | 你就要丢掉工作 |
[30:28] | You’ve already lost your money. | 你已经资产缩水 |
[30:30] | Now you’re hit with losing your wife, your house. | 而现在你又面临失去妻子房子的打击 |
[30:32] | You weren’t going to let that happen, were you, Mr. Wallace? | 你不会让这些发生的,是吧,Wallace? |
[30:33] | -But that’s not the way it happened. -You snapped. | -但事情并非如此 -你发疯了 |
[30:35] | -I did not. -You hit her from behind. | -我没发疯 -你从后面打她 |
[30:38] | -I never hit my wife. -You cracked when you knew you were caught. | -我从没有打过我太太 -当你明白你被抓到了,你就崩溃了 |
[30:40] | -I didn’t. I did no such thing. -We saw the tape. | -我没有,我没有做这些事 -我们看到了那段录像 |
[30:41] | I explained– | 我可以解释。。。 |
[30:42] | You killed your wife– | 你杀了你的太太。。。 |
[30:43] | I did not! | 我没有! |
[30:50] | Are you about to get violent, Mr. Wallace? | 你这是要发飙吗,Wallace先生? |
[30:53] | Objection! | 反对! |
[30:54] | Withdrawn. | 我收回这句 |
[30:56] | Nothing further. | 没有问题了 |
[30:59] | Chambers, your honor. | 请求后庭商议 |
[31:02] | It’s bad faith. | 这就是存心不良 |
[31:03] | -Why? -Bad faith? | -为什么? -存心不良? |
[31:04] | Never, ever in the first trial | 在第一次庭审正 |
[31:05] | did they suggest financial gain as motive. | 他们从未把财务问题作为动机提出 |
[31:07] | None of the police ever said it. Now suddenly– | 警察从未提到这一点,现在突然。。。 |
[31:08] | So what? | 那又怎么了? |
[31:09] | You decide on a new motive | 在第一次和第二次庭审之间 |
[31:11] | between the first and the second trial. | 你确定了一个新动机 |
[31:12] | Why can’t I? | 我为什么不能? |
[31:14] | Without any new evidence that amounts to unfair surprise. | 在没有新证据的支持下,这算是不公平突袭 |
[31:15] | You got to be kidding me! | 别开玩笑了! |
[31:17] | You can’t just fabricate a new motive. | 你不能就这样捏造一个心动机 |
[31:19] | All right. Bobby, there is nothing to prevent | 好了,Bobby,没什么可以阻止 |
[31:20] | the prosecution from changing strategies. | 控方更换策略 |
[31:22] | At a minimum, it’s bad faith. | 至少,这是存心不良的 |
[31:24] | If he truly believes that money was a motive, | 如果他确实相信钱是一个动机 |
[31:25] | they would have argued it in the first trial. | 他们会在第一次庭审时提出来 |
[31:27] | I didn’t try the first one. Helen Gamble did. | 我没有参与第一次庭审,那是Helen Gamble的事 |
[31:29] | Oh, come on, Richard. | 噢,拉倒吧,Richard |
[31:31] | What are you asking for? | 你要怎么样? |
[31:32] | The commonwealth does not have a good faith belief | 控方对其提出的缺乏证据支持的犯罪动机并没有信心 |
[31:35] | in its motive theory, and to spring it | 却在第二次庭审中突然抛出来 |
[31:37] | at a second trial constitutes unfair surprise, | 就构成了不公平突袭 |
[31:39] | and I’m asking that it be stricken. | 我请求对此予以排除 |
[31:41] | -Forget it. -Your honor– | -别指望了 -法官大人 |
[31:43] | Don’t even waste my time, Bobby. | 千万别浪费我的时间,Bobby |
[31:45] | You don’t know what Mr. Bay does or does not believe. | 你不知道Bay相信或者不相信什么 |
[31:48] | They are not bound by the strategy of the first trial. | 控方不会受限于他们在第一次庭审中采用的策略 |
[31:51] | Do you believe it– | 你认为。。。 |
[31:53] | that he killed her for money? | 他是因为钱杀了她? |
[31:55] | I certainly don’t know that he didn’t. | 我当然不知道他是不是为了钱杀人 |
[31:57] | That wasn’t my question. | 你没回答我的问题 |
[31:59] | You’re not asking a question. | 你根本就不是在提问 |
[32:01] | You’re making an accusation, and I’m getting sick of it. | 你是在质问我,我受够了 |
[32:04] | The idea of giving you access was to let you observe. | 让你来采访的目的是让你当个观察员 |
[32:06] | It wasn’t for you to charge in here with opinions. | 而不是让你来发表意见的 |
[32:08] | Was I doing that? | 我发表意见了吗? |
[32:10] | Yes, you’ve been doing that, and I’m getting fed up. | 是的,你一直在发表意见,我受够了 |
[32:12] | You want to point your damn cameras, fine, | 你想用你那鬼摄像头乱比划,没问题 |
[32:14] | but enough with the judgments. | 但别瞎叨叨了 |
[32:18] | What are you thinking right now? | 你现在在想什么? |
[32:21] | I’m thinking this is why you shouldn’t represent people | 我在想,这就是为什么不应去给一个 |
[32:24] | you feel emotionally– | 你对其有感情的人。。。比如家庭成员、朋友 |
[32:27] | family members, friends. | 做代理律师。 |
[32:29] | The best legal advice you can give them | 你给他们最好的建议 |
[32:32] | is to hire somebody else. | 就是去雇一个别的人 |
[32:34] | You think you’ve tried a bad case again? | 你觉得你这案子又不妙了吗? |
[32:37] | I was caught off-guard with motive. | 我被那个新提出的动机搞得措手不及 |
[32:40] | I let the jury see me angry with a witness. | 我让陪审团看到我冲一个证人发火 |
[32:43] | I… | 我。。。 |
[32:47] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[32:50] | I made some mistakes. | 我犯了一些错 |
[32:51] | I don’t agree. | 我不这么看 |
[32:53] | What do you think, Lindsay? | 你怎么看,Lindsay? |
[32:55] | I think it’s pretty even, | 我觉得局面挺不错 |
[32:58] | and ties go to the defendants in this business. | 况且庭审这种事,(举证阶段的)平局会有利于被告方 |
[33:01] | Bobby closes a lot better than Richard Bay. | 而Bobby的结案陈词要比Richard Bay强很多 |
[33:04] | This isn’t over. | 这还没有结束 |
[33:06] | The question I have– | 我有一个问题。。。 |
[33:08] | you have a client charged with a violent, angry crime. | 你的当事人被控暴力失控犯罪 |
[33:12] | You told him not to flash anger. | 你也跟他说不要发火 |
[33:16] | What happened? | 怎么回事? |
[33:25] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[33:43] | When I first became a lawyer, | 当我刚做律师的时候 |
[33:45] | I used to call my mother and tell her about my cases. | 我常给我母亲打电话,告诉她我办案的情况。 |
[33:49] | I’d explain all the intricacies, and she’d get bored | 我会解释所有那些错综复杂的案情,而她会觉得无聊 |
[33:53] | and snap at me, “Just nutshell the damn thing.” | 对我厉声说:“这些破事简单点说就好“ |
[33:56] | And I discovered when I did nutshell, | 后来我发现,当我做到简而言之时 |
[33:58] | most of those cases which I thought | 很多我认为是错综复杂的事 |
[34:01] | were so complicated were actually quite simple. | 其实很简单 |
[34:06] | The nutshell on this one– | 这个案子概括起来。。。 |
[34:10] | man in financial trouble renews insurance policy on wife. | 一个处于财务危机的男人对妻子的人寿保险续了保 |
[34:16] | She announces she’s leaving him. | 她宣称要离开他 |
[34:19] | She’s found dead with a whack on the back of the head. | 她被发现死于脑后遭到重击 |
[34:23] | That pretty much says it all. | 这几乎说明了一切 |
[34:25] | In the way of proof, there’s certainly a lot more. | 证据方面,当然有很多 |
[34:30] | All the DNA evidence points to him. | 所有的DNA证据都指向被告 |
[34:32] | Not most of it– all. | 不是大部分。。。是全部 |
[34:35] | Her skin found under his fingernails, | 在被告的指甲里发现了她的皮肤 |
[34:38] | his skin cells and prints found on her head and neck. | 在她的头颈处发现了被告了皮肤碎屑和指纹 |
[34:42] | His admission caught right on videotape, | 他的坦白被记录在录像带上 |
[34:45] | his anger displayed right here on the stand. | 他的愤怒恰恰在证人席上表现了出来 |
[34:49] | His own treating psychiatrist diagnosed him | 他自己的心理医生诊断他是 |
[34:52] | borderline psychotic. | 疑似精神病患者 |
[34:56] | She didn’t commit suicide. | 她没有自杀 |
[35:00] | The psychiatrist who was treating Karen Wallace– | 给Karen Wallace治疗的精神病医生 |
[35:03] | he told you she wasn’t suicidal. | 告诉你们她没有自杀倾向 |
[35:07] | This woman was murdered. | 这个女人是被谋杀的 |
[35:11] | All the evidence tells you so, | 所有的证据也是这样告诉你们的 |
[35:14] | and Scott Wallace… | 而Scott Wallace。。。 |
[35:18] | You put her in the car | 你把她放进车里 |
[35:20] | to make it look like a suicide. | 使她看起来像是自杀 |
[35:23] | That’s what happened, isn’t it? | 那就是实际情况,不是吗? |
[35:34] | He told you so, too. | 他也这样告诉你们了 |
[35:37] | Didn’t he? | 不是吗? |
[35:53] | The only reason Scott Wallace was ever arrested | Scott Wallace被捕的唯一原因 |
[35:56] | was that perceived admission. | 是那个被臆想出来的坦白 |
[35:59] | The DNA evidence, the head fracture– | DNA证据,头部骨折。。。 |
[36:01] | all that came from him trying to save her. | 全都是源于他对她的努力施救 |
[36:05] | The prosecution’s entire case | 控方整个案子建立在 |
[36:07] | is his reaction to being accused of the murder. | 他被指控谋杀时做出的反应 |
[36:11] | It wasn’t a normal reaction, they say. | 他们说,那不是一个正常的反应 |
[36:14] | That’s not how people normally respond. | 那不是一般人应有的正常反应 |
[36:17] | Have you ever been in this situation? | 你们曾身处过那样的境地吗? |
[36:20] | Your wife die recently? | 你的妻子刚刚死去? |
[36:22] | Your husband? | 或是你的丈夫? |
[36:24] | Any of you accused of murdering a spouse | 你们中有人在刚发现配偶死去后 |
[36:28] | in the immediate wake of discovering the death? | 就被指控对其的谋杀罪吗? |
[36:31] | We’re really going to sit here and discuss normal reactions? | 我们真的要坐在这里讨论正常的反应吗? |
[36:35] | Seems to me | 在我看来 |
[36:37] | a mental breakdown of some sort is the most normal. | 某种类型的精神崩溃是很常见的 |
[36:40] | That’s what Dr. Murphy told you Scott was experiencing. | 那正是Murphy医生告诉你们Scott当时正在经历的 |
[36:42] | Scott himself told you that. | Scott自己告诉你们 |
[36:44] | He was feeling nauseous in that interrogation, | 他在审讯中感到恶心 |
[36:46] | about to black out. | 将要晕过去。 |
[36:48] | As Dr. Murphy said, | 正如Murphy医生所说的 |
[36:49] | he was suffering from twin positional traumas. | 他遭受了双位创伤 |
[36:53] | How dare they charge him with murder | 他们怎么胆敢只是因为不喜欢 |
[36:56] | because they didn’t like the way he responded | 他被控谋杀时的反应, |
[36:58] | to being accused? | 就对他起诉谋杀罪? |
[37:01] | They better have more than that, and they don’t. | 他们最好还有更多的理由,但他们没有。 |
[37:04] | And now– | 而现在。。。 |
[37:06] | now the D. A. wants you to find guilt | 检察官希望你们因为Scott Wallace在证人席上发火了 |
[37:08] | because Scott Wallace got angry in the witness chair. | 就给他定罪 |
[37:11] | You saw his rage, didn’t you? Let’s convict on that. | 你们看见了他发火了,不是吗?那就让我们判他有罪。 |
[37:15] | First, they arrest him because he didn’t get angry, | 起初,他们因为他没有发火而逮捕了他 |
[37:18] | and now they want you to convict because he did. | 而现在他们希望你们因为他发火了而判他有罪 |
[37:26] | You know, people ask me | 你们知道吗,有人问我 |
[37:28] | how I can spend my days being a criminal defense lawyer, | 我怎么能日复一日地做刑事辩护律师 |
[37:33] | defending guilty people. | 为罪犯辩护 |
[37:35] | Well, I am in this | 我告诉你们,我在这里 |
[37:38] | to defend the innocent ones, | 是为一个无辜的人辩护。 |
[37:42] | and there is an innocent one sitting right over there. | 那里正坐着一个无辜的人 |
[37:47] | For six months now, | 至今六个月了 |
[37:50] | they’ve kept him locked up. | 他们一直把他关押着 |
[37:53] | He couldn’t even go to her funeral. | 他甚至都无法参加妻子的葬礼 |
[37:56] | He’s never been to her grave. | 他从未去过她的墓地 |
[37:59] | They’ve taken away his life. | 他们夺走了他的生活 |
[38:04] | Karen Wallace took her own. | Karen Wallace拿走了她自己的生活 |
[38:07] | The police have taken his. | 而警察却拿走了他的生活 |
[38:11] | Enough is enough. | 够了,适可而止吧 |
[38:17] | Give freedom back… | 把自由还给。。。 |
[38:22] | to an innocent man. | 这个无辜的人 |
[38:36] | Nutshell– | 概括一下就是。。。 |
[38:40] | borderline psychotic man in financial trouble | 陷入财务危机的疑似精神病患者 |
[38:44] | renews insurance policy on wife a month before her death. | 在妻子死前一个月续保其人寿保险 |
[38:49] | She threatens to leave him. | 她威胁要离开他 |
[38:51] | He’s heard screaming at her. | 他对她大喊大叫 |
[38:54] | She’s found dead with a fractured skull. | 她死于颅骨骨折 |
[38:59] | When accused of the crime, | 当被指控犯罪时 |
[39:01] | he doesn’t even deny it. | 他甚至都没有进行否认 |
[39:13] | You like Bobby Donnell, personally? | 就个人而言,你喜欢Bobby Donnell吗? |
[39:17] | He’s a pretty good guy. | 他是个非常不错的家伙 |
[39:19] | It’s one thing for two men | 两个人针对同一件事 |
[39:21] | looking at the same evidence | 面对同样的证据 |
[39:23] | to have different opinions, | 而有不同的观点 |
[39:25] | but you two seem so convinced | 但你们两个看起来 |
[39:28] | in opposite directions. | 在相对的方向上都很有说服力 |
[39:32] | D.A.s come to prosecute | 检察官是起诉 |
[39:34] | those they believe to be guilty. | 那些他们认为有罪的人 |
[39:37] | Defense attorneys come to believe | 辩护律师则是相信 |
[39:39] | those they choose to defend. | 那些他们选择去为其辩护的人 |
[39:41] | That certainly makes the D. A. s sound more noble. | 这无疑使检察官听起来更高尚 |
[39:47] | We are. | 没错 |
[39:51] | Does he usually hibernate | 他总是这样 |
[39:53] | when he waits for a verdict? | 静静地等待判决吗? |
[39:55] | Yeah. Waiting– it can be a killer. | 嗯,等待。。。这是个伤神的事 |
[39:57] | A lot of lawyers just go about other business. | 很多律师会去处理别的案子 |
[40:00] | Bobby– he can’t. | 而Bobby。。。他做不到 |
[40:02] | Aren’t there other clients? | 没有其他客户吗? |
[40:03] | Plenty, and he could be out right now | 很多,他随时可以出去 |
[40:06] | bringing in new ones. | 带来一个新客户 |
[40:08] | Bobby Donnell– Bobby Donnell。。。 | |
[40:09] | if you’re looking to build a law practice, | 如果你想拓展业务 |
[40:12] | he’s not the guy to hire. | 最好别雇他 |
[40:14] | But if you ever get charged with murder… | 但是如果你被指控谋杀的话。。。 |
[40:16] | (telephone rings) | |
[40:17] | Hotline. Hello? | 热线,你好? |
[40:21] | Okay, thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[40:23] | Jury’s back. | 陪审团回来了 |
[41:01] | Mr. Wallace, would you please rise? | Wallace先生,请起立? |
[41:09] | The jury has reached its verdict? | 陪审团达成一致裁决了吗? |
[41:11] | We have, your honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[41:12] | What say you? | 请宣布 |
[41:15] | Commonwealth vs. Scott Wallace, | 马萨诸塞州起诉Scott Wallace |
[41:18] | on count one– murder in the first degree, | 第一项,一级谋杀罪名 |
[41:21] | we find the defendant Scott Wallace | 我们裁决被告Scott Wallace |
[41:24] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[41:25] | (gallery murmuring) | |
[41:28] | Count two– murder in the second degree, | 第二项,二级谋杀罪名 |
[41:32] | we find the defendant Scott Wallace | 我们裁决被告Scott Wallace |
[41:35] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[41:36] | (gallery reacting loudly) | |
[41:38] | Members of the jury, | 陪审团成员 |
[41:40] | this concludes your service. | 你们尽到了你们的义务 |
[41:42] | On behalf of the commonwealth, I thank you. | 我代表州政府感谢你们 |
[41:44] | Mr. Wallace, you are free to go. | Wallace先生,你被当庭开释了 |
[41:47] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[41:49] | (gavel pounds) | |
[41:54] | Thank you, buddy. | 谢谢你,伙计 |
[42:17] | It wasn’t as ugly as you predicted. | 没有你预想的那么丑陋 |
[42:21] | No. I thought they all behaved very well. | 是的,我认为他们都表现得不错 |
[42:23] | It was nice to see for a change. | 很高兴看到这个变化。 |
[42:26] | Do you think it was the right result? | 你认为这是正确的判决吗? |
[42:29] | Probably. | 可能是 |
[42:31] | I suppose there was reasonable doubt. | 我认为存在着合理怀疑 |
[42:33] | But do you think it was the right result? | 但你认为这是正确的判决吗? |
[42:39] | I haven’t the slightest idea. | 我一点也不知道。 |