时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on “The Practice”… | |
[00:04] | “What To Expect When You’re Expecting.” | (前集回顾部分未作翻译) |
[00:05] | Somebody here’s pregos. | |
[00:07] | Did you order that book? | |
[00:08] | Me? No. | |
[00:10] | That little witch tricked us. | |
[00:11] | Either that or somebody else is pregnant. | |
[00:14] | How did that book get here? | |
[00:17] | I ordered it. I want to keep it a secret | |
[00:19] | until I’m sure everything’s fine. | |
[00:20] | Who’s the father? | |
[00:22] | I’m going to be a single parent. | |
[00:24] | I got a lude and lascivious scheduled | |
[00:26] | for trial this morning, but Judge Hiller– | |
[00:28] | -She’s ordered me to get co-counsel. -Why? | |
[00:30] | Something about how I’ve never won a trial. | |
[00:32] | Bobby, it’s bad for us to even be associated | |
[00:34] | with Harland Bassett. | |
[00:36] | -He’s a nice guy. -And the world’s worst attorney. | |
[00:38] | I do not want to be in court with that man. | |
[00:40] | I was blessed with a large penis. | |
[00:42] | What was that? | |
[00:43] | I’m huge, judge. | |
[00:45] | Where the hell is this going? | |
[00:46] | I would like the jury to have a viewing. | |
[00:49] | You’re asking me to let your client | |
[00:51] | drop his pants in court? | |
[00:53] | The intent would only be | |
[00:55] | to present exculpatory evidence. | |
[01:06] | Okay. | |
[01:07] | We face one last motion to dismiss by the defense. | 我们面对被告提出的最后一个要求驳回本案的动议 |
[01:10] | Assuming we get by that, the trial will start tomorrow. | 假如我们能过关,明天会开始庭审 |
[01:15] | We will get by it, right? | 我们能过关的,对吧? |
[01:16] | I hope so. | 我希望能 |
[01:18] | There’s a chance… | 也有可能 |
[01:19] | this may not even go to trial? | 连庭审都不会有? |
[01:21] | Look, I haven’t met all of you, | 听着,我没有和你们所有人都谈过 |
[01:23] | but as I’ve explained to your husband and son, | 但如我向你的丈夫和儿子解释过的那样 |
[01:25] | this is a very uphill battle. | 这是一场非常艰苦的战斗。 |
[01:27] | We’re prosecuting one man for murder | 我们要以谋杀罪起诉一个人 |
[01:29] | that another man committed in a foreign country. | 而这起谋杀是另一个人在国外犯下的 |
[01:32] | But the other man was his brother. | 但这另一个人是他的兄弟 |
[01:34] | I understand, but we’ve only gotten so much cooperation | 我理解,但我们从巴基斯坦当局 |
[01:39] | from Pakistani authorities, | 只能得到这么多的协助了 |
[01:40] | and I’ve received no help whatsoever | 而且从我们自己的联邦政府 |
[01:44] | from our own federal government, | 得不到任何帮助 |
[01:46] | which prefers I back off this altogether, | 这让我宁愿完全放弃这个案子 |
[01:49] | and quite frankly, our case is weak. | 坦率地说,我们的案件很脆弱 |
[01:51] | So what you’re saying is | 那么你是说 |
[01:53] | you think he’s going to get away with it. | 你觉得他可能逃脱惩罚 |
[01:55] | I’m going to fight for this one, | 我会为此而战的 |
[01:57] | you have my word, | 我保证 |
[01:59] | but things got a little tougher this week. | 但这周情况变得更糟了。 |
[02:01] | The defendant switched lawyers, | 被告换了律师 |
[02:03] | and his new lawyer is very tough. | 他的新律师很厉害 |
[02:08] | I’m not recommending a plea. | 我不是在建议做认罪交易 |
[02:10] | I’m just saying it’s an option. | 我只是说这也是个选项 |
[02:12] | Why would I ever agree to a plea? | 我为什么要同意认罪? |
[02:15] | I’m saying conspiracy, not– | 我在说的是共谋罪,不是说。。。 |
[02:16] | I had nothing to do with it. | 我跟这事一点关系也没有 |
[02:18] | You can’t condemn a man for the actions of his brother. | 你不能因为某人兄弟的行为而谴责这个人。 |
[02:21] | The jury could very well think you were involved | 陪审团很可能因为那是你的兄弟 |
[02:23] | since it was your own brother. | 认为你参与了 |
[02:24] | Well, that’s wrong. I didn’t do it. | 那是错误的,我什么也没做 |
[02:26] | They have no evidence. Give me one single reason | 他们没有证据,你给我找出哪怕一条 |
[02:29] | why I should even consider a plea. | 我应该考虑认罪协议的理由 |
[02:32] | I’ll give you three– | 我可以给你三个。。。 |
[02:33] | you’re Pakistani, the victim was American, | 你是巴基斯坦人,受害者是美国人 |
[02:35] | and this is Boston. | 再就是,这里是波士顿 |
[03:33] | If we win the motion, it’s over. We’ll be back before noon. | 如果我们赢得了动议,这就结束了,我们中午前就会回来 |
[03:36] | If we lose, trial starts immediately. | 如果我们输了,庭审即刻开始 |
[03:38] | -What do you think? -The law’s on our side. | -你怎么看? -法律是站在我们这边的 |
[03:40] | We just got transferred to Kittleson, so I’m optimistic. | 我们的案子转到Kittleson法官了,所以我还是乐观的 |
[03:44] | We’re becoming a niche practice, | 我们可以发展一个利基业务 (利基,指的是小企业在大市场中寻找一个 未被充分发掘的细分市场,集中力量进行开发 ,并继而做强做大) |
[03:46] | husbands who kill wives. | 杀妻(细分业务) |
[03:46] | He’s innocent, Lindsay. | 他是无辜的,Lindsay |
[03:48] | Hello. | 你好 |
[03:51] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[03:54] | Ellenor? Ellenor? | |
[03:56] | She got a date? | 她去约会了? |
[03:58] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
[03:59] | I didn’t want to say anything until– | 我一直不想说。。。 |
[04:02] | but now there’s really no reason not to. | 但现在真是没理由不说了 |
[04:06] | Um… | 嗯。。。 |
[04:08] | I’m pregnant. | 我怀孕了 |
[04:15] | Very funny. | 真搞笑 |
[04:16] | -I am. -She is. | -我是怀孕了 -她是怀孕了 |
[04:18] | I didn’t want to jinx it | 在羊水诊断结果出来前, |
[04:20] | before the amnio results came back, | 我可不想乌鸦嘴 |
[04:22] | so everything’s fine. | 所以,一切都很好 |
[04:23] | I’m four months, | 四个月了 |
[04:25] | and I’m going to have a baby girl. | 我就要有跟个女婴了 |
[04:28] | Who’s the father? | 孩子父亲是? |
[04:31] | Actually, I’m keeping that confidential. | 实际上,我会保密的 |
[04:33] | He’s basically just a sperm donor, | 他是一个精子捐献者 |
[04:35] | and I’m going to be a single mom. | 我将成为以恶搞单亲母亲 |
[04:38] | Wow. | 哇 |
[04:39] | That’s… fantastic. | 那真是。。。太奇妙了 |
[04:42] | Yeah. Ellenor, it’s fabulous. | 是啊,Ellenor,太棒了 |
[04:46] | You gonna be a mom? | 你要做妈妈了? |
[04:49] | Yeah. | 是呀 |
[04:51] | Okay, so let’s not everybody, you know, well up. | 好了,别让我们所有人都泪如泉涌了 |
[04:55] | Um, Harland Bassett to see Eugene Young. | 呃,我是Harland Bassett,来找Eugene Young |
[04:58] | Is he available? | 他有空吗? |
[05:00] | Um… | 呃。。。 |
[05:03] | Eugene. Eugene。 | |
[05:04] | Harland. Remember me? | Harland,记得我吗? |
[05:12] | She’s my niece, | 她是我的侄女 |
[05:13] | so naturally I have a vested interest, | 所以除她是无辜的之外 |
[05:15] | besides her being innocent. | 我自然还有既定的利害关系 |
[05:17] | Is it a burglary? | 是入室盗窃吗? |
[05:19] | No, no, no, just shoplifting. | 不,不不,只是在商店里偷东西 |
[05:21] | It’s a false I. D., Eugene, I swear to you. | 这是一个错误的指认,我跟你保证 |
[05:24] | This security guard has it all wrong. Emma– | 保安弄错了,Emma。。。 |
[05:26] | Hold on. Harland, are you being ordered | 停一下,Harland,你被法庭再次要求 |
[05:29] | by the court again to have co-counsel present? | 要找一名协办律师吗? |
[05:31] | No. | 没有 |
[05:33] | Then why? It’s a shoplifting. | 为什么没有?这是商店行窃呀 |
[05:35] | But it’s also my niece, | 但也是我的侄女呀 |
[05:37] | and I’ve hit an unlucky patch | 而且自从上一次咱们一起出庭 |
[05:39] | since the last time we were at trial together. | 我也不太走运 |
[05:43] | My malpractice carrier has ordered me | 我的职业承保保险公司要求我 |
[05:46] | to advise all my clients | 把我从未赢得过一次庭审的情况 |
[05:48] | that I have never won a jury trial. | 告知我的客户们。 |
[05:51] | You’ve still never won? | 你还一次都没赢过? |
[05:53] | I’ve won some bench trials, but with a jury, I– | 我赢下了一些即席审判,但有陪审团的情况下,我。。。 (即席审判指由法官独立进行裁决) |
[05:56] | I need to get one under my belt, Eugene, | 我需要获得一次取胜记录,Eugene |
[05:58] | and not just because I love my niece, | 不仅仅是因为我爱我的侄女 |
[06:01] | but, also, it’s tough to recruit new business | 还因为,承保保险公司对我的强制处理 |
[06:04] | with this mandate from the carrier. | 让我很难再找到生意了 |
[06:06] | It’s a 2-day trial, tops. | 这次庭审最多只用两天, |
[06:09] | I know I’m asking a lot. | 我知道我要求很过分 |
[06:13] | I need to get a “W.” | 我需要得到一次胜利 |
[06:21] | There is no basis in law for these charges. | 这些指控没有法律依据 |
[06:24] | A defendant can’t be an accessory-before-the-fact | 一个被告不能在国外发生的一起凶杀案定罪前 |
[06:27] | to a homicide that happened in a foreign country. | 就被指控为同谋 |
[06:29] | If there’s a kidnapping with the intent to kill, | 如果有一个意图杀人的绑架案 |
[06:32] | we can absolutely assert jurisdiction here. | 我们完全可以在这里主张管辖权 |
[06:35] | But she wasn’t kidnapped. | 但她并不是被绑架了 |
[06:36] | She went to Pakistan on vacation. | 她去巴基斯坦渡假 |
[06:37] | He tricked her. She thought she was going on vacation. | 他骗了她。她以为她要去渡假 |
[06:40] | He already arranged for his brother | 他已经安排他的兄弟 |
[06:42] | to have her killed when she arrived. | 等她一到就杀了她 |
[06:45] | Are you serious? | 你当真的呀? |
[06:47] | I take it you’ve tried extraditing the brother. | 我猜你已经试图去引渡那个兄弟了 |
[06:49] | To no avail. | 无济于事 |
[06:50] | Approach. | 上前商议 |
[06:56] | This seems a bit much. | 这似乎有点过头了吧 |
[06:58] | Why are you doing this? | 你为什么要做这些呢? |
[07:01] | Your honor, look out there. | 法官大人,你往那儿看看 |
[07:03] | That’s her family. | 那是她的家人 |
[07:05] | How can I not do it? | 我怎么能不做呢? |
[07:07] | I can’t say I’m overwhelmed by the merits… | 我不能说我被案情本身说服了。。。 |
[07:11] | but there’s enough to go forward. | 但这有足够理由进行下去了 |
[07:14] | There’s nothing to go forward. | 什么理由也没有呀 |
[07:18] | Defendant’s motion to dismiss denied. | 被告的动议被驳回 |
[07:20] | Bring in the jury. | 请陪审团进来吧 |
[07:25] | I don’t think it was mistaken identity, counsel. | 我不认为我认错人了,律师 |
[07:28] | Your client is slightly distinguishable. | 你的当事人有些与众不同 |
[07:31] | -How so? -She’s the size of a cottage. | -怎么讲? -她跟一间小屋子那么大 |
[07:34] | -No offense. -Offense taken. | -无意冒犯 -你已经冒犯了 |
[07:36] | Is that how you picked her out– her size? | 你就是这样把她挑出来的。。。她的身材? |
[07:39] | No. Her face as well. | 不,还有她的长相 |
[07:41] | In fact, I’d first I. D.’d her face | 实际上,我首先是 |
[07:43] | from a picture where you couldn’t even see her girth. | 从一张根本看不到她腰围的照片上认出她的长相的 |
[07:45] | A picture? You picked out a mug shot before the lineup? | 一张照片?你在队列指认前就挑出来一张存档嫌犯照片? |
[07:48] | She didn’t have a mug shot. This was her very first arrest. | 她不在存档嫌犯照片里,这是她第一次被捕 |
[07:52] | The D. A. showed me just a regular picture. | 检察官只是给我看了一张普通的照片 |
[07:54] | It wasn’t a mug shot. | 不是存档的嫌犯照片 |
[07:56] | You saw this photo before the lineup? | 你在队列指认前就看了这张照片吗? |
[07:59] | Look, counsel, she’s the one | 听着,律师 |
[08:01] | I saw lift the merchandise. | 我看着她把商品拿起来的 |
[08:06] | You think you can shake him? | 你觉得你能驳倒他吗? |
[08:08] | I’m hoping it won’t even come to that. | 我希望甚至不需要到那一步 |
[08:10] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思? |
[08:12] | Well, I think we should bring a motion to dismiss | 我认为我们应该基于指认过程中的不规范 |
[08:14] | on the basis that the I. D. was tainted. | 提出一个驳回指控动议 |
[08:16] | Good idea. | 好主意 |
[08:18] | Yes, I thought you’d like it. | 嗯,我知道你会喜欢这个的 |
[08:22] | On September 14th, I examined a body | 九月十四日,我检查了 |
[08:24] | that had arrived from Pakistan. | 一具来自巴基斯坦的尸体 |
[08:26] | Did you make an identification of this body? | 你确认了死者的身份了吗? |
[08:28] | Yes. Through dental records I established | 是的,通过我建立的牙医档案 |
[08:30] | that the body belonged to Julie McGrath. | 这具尸体是Julie McGrath的 |
[08:44] | Is this how Julie McGrath’s body | Julie McGrath的尸体 |
[08:46] | arrived from Pakistan? | 是从巴基斯坦运来的,是这样的吗? |
[08:48] | That’s correct. | 没错 |
[08:50] | What did your examination reveal? | 你的检查表明了些什么? |
[08:52] | There was carbon monoxide in her blood | 她的血液里有一氧化碳 |
[08:56] | and soot in her lungs. | 肺部有煤烟 |
[08:58] | Also, tests revealed gasoline residue | 此外,测试还发现汽油残渣 |
[09:00] | all over her tissue. | 遍布她的身体组织 |
[09:02] | Please, doctor, in layman’s terms. | 医生,请用通俗一些的说法 |
[09:04] | She was soaked with gasoline, | 她被汽油浸透 |
[09:07] | set on fire, and then burned to death. | 引燃后被烧死 |
[09:10] | She was burned alive? | 活活被烧死的? |
[09:13] | Yes. | 是的 |
[09:18] | Nothing further. | 没有问题了 |
[09:23] | Mr. Donnell? | Donnell先生? |
[09:28] | No questions, your honor. | 没有问题要问,法官大人 |
[09:31] | Ms. Gamble? | Gamble女士? |
[09:33] | Commonwealth calls detective Michael McGuire. | 州检传唤Michael McGuire警探出庭作证 |
[09:36] | We received cooperation | 我们得到了来自巴基斯坦拉合尔警察局 |
[09:38] | from the Lahore Police Department in Pakistan, | 的合作。 |
[09:40] | and they provided us with the details | 他们给我们提供了 |
[09:42] | of their investigation. | 他们调查的消息情况 |
[09:43] | Detective, what did | 警探,巴基斯坦警方的调查 |
[09:45] | the Pakistanian investigation reveal? | 表明了些什么? |
[09:46] | That it was a homicide | 那是一起由被告兄弟Javed Sharif |
[09:48] | committed by Javed Sharif, brother of the defendant. | 所实施的谋杀案 |
[09:52] | Was he arrested? | 他被逮捕了吗? |
[09:54] | Yes, he was. | 是的,他被逮捕了 |
[09:55] | Did he make any statements? | 他做了供述吗? |
[09:57] | He did. He confessed to the killing, | 是的,他承认了杀人的罪行 |
[10:00] | said it was done to protect his brother’s honor. | 称之是为了维护他哥哥的荣誉 |
[10:01] | How did setting Julie McGrath on fire | 把Julie McGrath烧死, |
[10:03] | protect the defendant’s honor? | 怎么就是保护被告的荣誉? |
[10:05] | Ms. McGrath had evidently engaged | McGrath女士显然是 |
[10:07] | in an extra-marital affair. | 有了婚外情 |
[10:09] | Adultery is considered a serious breach | 在巴基斯坦,通奸被认为是 |
[10:11] | of a man’s honor in Pakistan. | 对一个男人荣誉的严重侵害 |
[10:13] | In his confession, | 在他的供述中 |
[10:14] | Mr. Sharif said he set Ms. McGrath on fire | Sharif先生说他烧死McGrath女士 |
[10:17] | to avenge his brother’s disgrace. | 为他兄弟遭受的耻辱而复仇 |
[10:22] | It was an honor killing. | 这是荣誉处决 |
[10:24] | What do you mean, “honor killing”? | “荣誉处决”是什么意思? |
[10:26] | In Pakistan, there’s an ancient tribal custom. | 在巴基斯坦,有一个古老的部落习俗。 |
[10:29] | A man’s honor is linked to his possessions– | 一个男人的荣誉归结于他的财产。。。 |
[10:31] | gold, land, women. | 黄金、土地、女人 |
[10:35] | Detective, was Javed Sharif | 警探先生,Javed Sharif |
[10:37] | ever prosecuted for this murder? | 可曾受到谋杀指控? |
[10:40] | No, he was not. | 他没有 |
[10:41] | Why is that? | 为什么会那样? |
[10:43] | According to the Pakistani government, | 据巴基斯坦政府称 |
[10:45] | the defendant invoked qisas. | 被告援引了Qisas (Qisas,伊斯兰教用语,伊斯兰教允许对等报仇, 意同以牙还牙,但也可以由受害者或受害者后裔给予宽恕, Qisas被一些伊斯兰教国家政府和法院认可为现行法律) |
[10:47] | What does that mean? | 那是什么意思? |
[10:49] | Qisas is evidently an Islamic doctrine | Qisas显然是一种伊斯兰教义 |
[10:51] | which is actually law in Pakistan. | 实际上这就是巴基斯坦的法律 |
[10:53] | It allows the heirs of a murder victim | 允许由受害者的继承人 |
[10:56] | to pardon the murderer. | 宽恕凶手 |
[10:58] | Mr. Sharif here is the heir, | Sharif先生在本案中就是这个继承人 |
[11:00] | and, in fact, pardoned his brother. | 而事实上,他宽恕了他的兄弟 |
[11:02] | So the defendant pardoned the man | 那就是说被告宽恕了 |
[11:06] | who set his wife on fire? | 烧死了他妻子的那个人? |
[11:08] | That’s correct. | 没错 |
[11:10] | Thank you, detective. | 谢谢你,警探先生 |
[11:17] | Under Pakistani law, detective, | 警探先生,依照巴基斯坦法律 |
[11:19] | what would have happened to my client’s brother | 如果没有被宽恕, |
[11:21] | had he not been pardoned? | 我当事人的兄弟会受到什么样的处置? |
[11:24] | He would have faced death by hanging. | 他也许会被判绞刑 |
[11:26] | So the only way for my client | 那么,对于我的当事人而言, |
[11:28] | to spare the life of his brother | 为了救他兄弟的命 |
[11:30] | would be to pardon him altogether? | 唯一的办法只能是给与他宽恕 |
[11:32] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:34] | And, detective, is there any evidence | 还有,警探先生,是否有任何的证据表明 |
[11:36] | of my client directing his brother | 我的当事人指示他的兄弟 |
[11:38] | to commit this crime? | 实施了这次犯罪? |
[11:39] | Not to my knowledge. | 据我所知,没有 |
[11:41] | Is there any evidence that my client knew | 是否有任何的证据表明 |
[11:43] | this crime was going to happen? | 我的当事人事先知晓此事? |
[11:45] | Not to my knowledge. | 据我所知,没有 |
[11:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:04] | You want to do the talking? | 你想由你来说吗? |
[12:06] | I think it would be nice. | 我觉得我来说会好些 |
[12:07] | ‘Cause if you win this motion, | 如果你赢得了这个动议 |
[12:09] | I’ll still be denied my jury win. | 我还是得不到陪审团审判的获胜记录 |
[12:11] | All rise. | 请全部起立 |
[12:17] | Oh, no. | 噢,不是吧 |
[12:18] | What’s she doing here? | 她在这里干什么? |
[12:38] | (door slams) | |
[12:42] | Mr. Young, chambers. | Young先生,内庭商议 |
[12:49] | I can’t tell him not to talk. It’s his case. | 我不能不让他说话。这是他办的案子 |
[12:52] | I don’t care. After what he did the last time, | 这我不管,在上次他干出那事之后 |
[12:55] | he is an embarrassment. | 他就是个奇葩 |
[12:57] | It’s his niece. I don’t think he– | 本案被告是他的侄女,我觉得他不会。。。 |
[12:59] | He introduced a penis as evidence | 他把被告整过型的丁丁 |
[13:01] | after he had it altered. | 掏出来当物证 |
[13:03] | Your honor, I-I will do my best to contain him, | 法官大人,我,我会尽我最大的努力控制住他 |
[13:07] | and I think he fully appreciates your wrath | 而且我觉得经过上一次发生的事 |
[13:09] | over what happened the last time, | 他充分意识到了您的愤怒 |
[13:11] | and it should be a very quick trial. | 况且这次应该是一次很快的庭审 |
[13:14] | Well, I will hold you responsible | 好吧,但凡出现搞怪的情况 |
[13:16] | for any antics, counsel. | 我就会追究你的责任,律师 |
[13:19] | You’re on notice. | 我可提醒你了 |
[13:23] | We had been seeing each other for about three months. | 我们交往差不多三个月了 |
[13:26] | -Then what happened? -She broke it off. | -然后发生了什么事? -她中断了这种关系 |
[13:28] | She wanted to work things out with her husband. | 她想和他的丈夫把问题解决了 |
[13:29] | -This man? -Yes, that’s her husband. | -这个人吗? -是的,她的丈夫 |
[13:33] | Did you ever have any encounters with this man? | 你接触过这个人吗? |
[13:35] | Yes, when he learned of the affair, | 是的,当他知道这件事后 |
[13:37] | he basically accosted me. | 他来找我搭讪 |
[13:39] | How did he accost you, sir? | 他是怎么和你搭讪的,先生? |
[13:41] | I was leaving work. He approached me | 我正要下班,他凑过来 |
[13:43] | in the parking lot and threatened me. | 在地下停车场威胁我 |
[13:45] | Could you describe the threat? | 你可以描述一下吗? |
[13:47] | It was pretty vague. | 很含糊的 |
[13:49] | He just said, “Stay away from my wife,” | 他只说了“离我老婆远点” |
[13:51] | in what I perceive to be a threatening tone. | 在我理解那是一种威胁的语气。 |
[13:54] | Did he say anything else? | 他还说了什么吗? |
[13:56] | Yes. He said in his country, | 他还说在他的国家 |
[13:58] | people were killed for committing adultery. | 通奸的人会被杀的 |
[14:04] | I take it when he said this, he was very upset. | 我认为当他和你说那些的话时,他是非常烦躁的 |
[14:07] | -Yes. -He had just found out | -是的 -他刚刚发现 |
[14:10] | that you had been sleeping with his wife for three months. | 你和她太太偷情已经三个月了 |
[14:12] | That’s correct. | 是的 |
[14:14] | This was an angry husband blowing off steam, | 这是一个愤怒的丈夫在发泄怒火 |
[14:16] | wasn’t it, Mr. Miller? | 不是吗,Miller先生? |
[14:18] | Well… | 这个。。。 |
[14:19] | Did you report him to the police? | 你报警了吗? |
[14:21] | No. | 没有 |
[14:23] | So you didn’t perceive that remark to be a threat | 所以,你没有把那话理解为 |
[14:26] | on either your life | 对你或者是Julie McGrath |
[14:27] | or the life of Julie McGrath, did you? | 的生命构成威胁,是吧? |
[14:30] | Not at the time, no. | 那时候,是的 |
[14:35] | So, I don’t want to be personal, | 我并不想打听隐私 |
[14:38] | but, um, was this artificial insemination | 但是,唔,这是人工授精 |
[14:40] | or the old-fashioned way? | 还是传统的那种方式? |
[14:43] | You know, Lucy, | 我跟你说, Lucy |
[14:45] | despite our deepening friendship, | 虽然咱们的友情越来越深 |
[14:47] | I’m going to choose not to answer that. | 我还是选择不回答你这问题 |
[14:54] | Aren’t you a little scared, Ellenor, | 你一点也不害怕吗,Ellenor |
[14:56] | raising a kid alone? | 单独抚养一个孩子? |
[14:59] | You think it’s right? | 你觉得这样对吗? |
[15:01] | Do I think it’s right? | 我认为这样对吗? |
[15:04] | Well, I mean the right thing with your working and all. | 那个,我的意思是对你的工作和整个生活来说, |
[15:07] | You think it’s right for you? | 你认为这样做,对你来说是正确的吗? |
[15:09] | Well, obviously it is something | 嗯,显然这是让我 |
[15:10] | that I’ve put a lot of thought into. | 花了很多心思去考虑的事 |
[15:13] | Great. That’s all I was asking. | 很好,那就是我要问的 |
[15:16] | You know, I didn’t get the feeling | 你知道吗,Jimmy,我可没觉得 |
[15:19] | that you were asking anything, Jimmy. | 你在问什么。 |
[15:22] | It sounded to me more like you were commenting. | 我听起来更像是你在进行评论 |
[15:25] | I’m sorry if you got that impression. | 如果你有这样的印象,我很抱歉 |
[15:28] | Right. | 好吧 |
[15:39] | Let’s not let our hormones | 让我们不要让感情 |
[15:42] | get the better of us. | 战胜了我们的理智 |
[15:44] | It hurts, okay? | 这有些伤人,好吗? |
[15:50] | When you announced that you were pregnant, | 当你宣布怀孕的时候 |
[15:52] | everybody practically jumped over the table, | 几乎每个人都要跳上桌子了 |
[15:55] | but with me– | 但到了我。。。 |
[15:56] | Well, it is a little more unexpected with you. | 这个嘛,是有点出乎大家的预料 |
[16:00] | They’ll celebrate it. Just– | 他们会为此庆祝的,只是。。。 |
[16:02] | Give them time? | 给他们些时间? |
[16:05] | You know, | 你知道吗? |
[16:07] | I expected to raise a few eyebrows | 我预料到了你们会 |
[16:11] | with the people that I– | 因此感到惊诧不解。。。 |
[16:13] | But… | 但是。。。 |
[16:18] | I guess I consider the people here | 我想我把你们 |
[16:21] | to be like family, | 看成是家人, |
[16:23] | and I didn’t think | 而我没想到的是 |
[16:25] | that I was going to have to give you all time | 我将不得不一直让你们 |
[16:28] | to get over it. | 放下这件事。 |
[16:30] | Why not just be flush with happiness | 如果不是因为这事是我做的话 |
[16:34] | if for no other reason than because I am? | 为什么不开开心心就好呢? |
[16:38] | Ellenor… Ellenor。。。 | |
[16:41] | you just sprang the news this morning. | 你今天早上才宣布这个消息呀 |
[16:46] | The happiness is there. | 快乐在我们心里 |
[16:49] | Trust me. | 相信我 |
[17:00] | What I am saying is the reason the eyewitness | 我现在说的是,目击证人 |
[17:02] | picked my client out of a lineup | 把我的当事人从队列中指认出来的原因 |
[17:04] | is because he was shown a picture of her | 是因为地区检察官 |
[17:06] | by the district attorney. | 给他看过了她的照片 |
[17:07] | The witness was identifying | 证人辨认出了 |
[17:09] | the woman he saw in the store, not the picture. | 他在店里看见的那个女人,而不是照片 |
[17:12] | We can’t know that. The witness maybe can’t know. | 这我们可说不清,证人也许本来指认不出来 |
[17:14] | He saw a familiar face. He made– | 但当他看到了一张相似的面孔,他就。。。 |
[17:16] | -Eugene. -It was improper, Susan. -Eugene。 | -这样做是不恰当的,Susan |
[17:18] | All right. | 好了 |
[17:20] | This was witness bolstering, your honor. | 这是引导证人,法官大人 |
[17:23] | First of all, this wasn’t a mug shot. | 首先,那不是嫌犯存档照片 |
[17:25] | My client has no record. There is no mug shot. | 我的当事人没有犯罪记录,也就不存在嫌犯存档照片 |
[17:27] | The district attorney took this picture | 地区检察官从我当事人的钱包里 |
[17:29] | out of my client’s purse. | 拿了这张照片 |
[17:31] | -I certainly did not. -Then how’d you get it? | -我肯定没有 -那你是怎么得到的? |
[17:34] | The witness picked it up off the department store floor. | 证人从商店地板上捡到的 |
[17:37] | It fell out of her purse when she was running away. | 她逃跑的时候从她钱包里掉出来的 |
[17:42] | The motion to dismiss is denied. | 请求撤案的动议被驳回 |
[17:45] | Let’s proceed with the trial. | 让我们开庭审理吧 |
[17:57] | Perhaps you should have filled me in | 也许你应该告诉我 |
[17:59] | on how they got the picture. | 他们是怎么得到那照片的 |
[18:01] | I didn’t know. | 我也不知道呀 |
[18:03] | Get your niece in here, Harland. | 带你侄女来吧,Harland |
[18:05] | We’re going to trial. | 我们要出庭了 |
[18:07] | Look at the bright side, Eugene. | 要看到好的一面,Eugene |
[18:10] | I can still get my jury victory now. | 现在我仍然可以赢得陪审团的胜利 |
[18:13] | Yes, I’m trying to contain my delight on that. | 是呀,我正努力控制着那给我带来的快感。 |
[18:17] | I was always close with my sister. | 我和我妹妹关系很亲近 |
[18:19] | We were only a year apart. | 我们分别才一年 |
[18:21] | We were, in many ways, | 我们在很多方面 |
[18:23] | best friends as well as siblings. | 不仅是兄妹,而且是最好的朋友 |
[18:25] | Did your sister confide in you | 你的妹妹向你吐露过 |
[18:27] | that she was committing adultery? | 她有私情吗? |
[18:29] | Yes. It was I who convinced her | 是的,是我说服她 |
[18:31] | to be honest and tell Imaad. | 去向Imaad坦承的。 |
[18:33] | I certainly regret doing that today. | 现在我非常后悔 |
[18:35] | Why is that, sir? | 为什么,先生? |
[18:36] | Because he had her killed. | 因为他把她杀了 |
[18:38] | -Objection. -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[18:40] | Mr. McGrath, did your sister ever talk | McGrat先生,你的妹妹曾经谈到过 |
[18:42] | about her trip to Pakistan? | 她去巴基斯坦的旅行吗? |
[18:44] | Yes, she did. | 是的,她谈过 |
[18:45] | -Could you tell us– -Objection– hearsay. | -你能告诉我们吗 -反对,传闻证据 |
[18:47] | State of mind. | 只是说明其心理状态 |
[18:48] | I’ll allow it. | 我允许提问 |
[18:50] | Could you tell us what she said? | 你能告诉我们她说了什么吗? |
[18:52] | That it was Imaad’s idea | 那是Imaad的主意 |
[18:54] | as a way of reconnecting. | 当成一种和故乡重新建立联系的方式 |
[18:55] | He thought it would be good to go back home, | 他认为回趟老家是件不错的事 |
[18:58] | which she thought was a little bizarre. | 可她觉得有一点奇怪 |
[19:00] | Why is that? | 为什么觉得奇怪? |
[19:03] | He’d always told her, and me, too, for that matter, | 关于这个事,他总跟她说,也跟我说过 |
[19:06] | that he didn’t enjoy going home. | 他回老家并不开心 |
[19:07] | He wasn’t particularly close to his family. | 他和他的家人并不特别亲近 |
[19:10] | Then suddenly she’s going there without him. | 而突然间她就要自己去了 |
[19:12] | Without him? | 他没去? |
[19:14] | Out of nowhere, he has this project he needs to finish, | 不知道从哪儿冒出一个项目,他必须要做完 |
[19:16] | so he sends her over and says he’ll join her in a few days. | 所以他送她过去,并跟她说他过几天就跟去 |
[19:19] | She never suspected he was sending her to be executed… | 她从未怀疑他是送她去受死。。。 |
[19:21] | -Objection! -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[19:23] | -While he stayed here as an alibi. -Objection! | -而他呆在这里可以有不在犯罪现场的证明 -反对! |
[19:26] | Sustained. Ms. Gamble, control your witness. | 反对有效,Gamble女士,管管你的证人 |
[19:28] | Mr. McGrath, | McGrath先生, |
[19:30] | after you learned of your sister’s death, | 在你得知你妹妹的死讯后, |
[19:33] | what happened? | 发生了什么事? |
[19:34] | Nothing happened. | 没有什么 |
[19:36] | The brother confessed, said it was an honor killing, | 他弟弟承认了,说那是荣誉处决, |
[19:38] | and then nothing happened | 之后就没事了 |
[19:40] | -because that son of a bitch… -BOBBY: Objection! | -因为那个王八蛋。。。 -反对! |
[19:42] | -He made sure of it. -Move to strike! | -是他安排好的 -要求不予记录 |
[19:44] | He didn’t even go over there! | 他根本都没去那里! |
[19:46] | I will have you removed, sir. | 我会取消你的作证的,先生 |
[19:51] | Mr. McGrath, please, | McGrath先生,拜托 |
[19:53] | you need to calm down. | 你需要冷静一下 |
[19:55] | He didn’t even go over there. | 他根本就没有去那里 |
[20:00] | My sister was burned alive. | 我的妹妹被活活烧死 |
[20:03] | Nobody did anything. | 没有人管这事 |
[20:05] | That’s the answer to your question, Ms. Gamble. | 这就是对你问题的回答,Gamble女士 |
[20:08] | The Pakistani police did nothing, | 巴基斯坦警方不管 |
[20:10] | our government refuses to get involved, | 我们的政府拒绝介入 |
[20:14] | and nobody did anything. | 没有人去管 |
[20:16] | A beautiful woman was murdered, | 一个美丽的女人被谋杀了 |
[20:19] | and nobody did anything. | 而没有人去管 |
[20:22] | (sobbing) | |
[20:41] | My feeling is they haven’t made their case, | 我的感觉是他们没有拿出足够的依据 |
[20:44] | but I am concerned. | 但是我担心 |
[20:46] | Their last witness was extremely emotional. | 他们最后那个证人非常煽情 |
[20:49] | My gut says put you up there. | 我的直觉是让你上场 |
[20:53] | Bec? Bec? | |
[20:54] | I think there’s no question. The evidence may be thin, | 我认为没什么问题的,证据很脆弱 |
[20:57] | but they do have phone records of you calling your brother. | 但是他们有你和你弟弟的通话记录 |
[21:00] | Yes, because I was about to visit. | 是的,因为我打算要去那里 |
[21:02] | People call before– | 去之前一般都是要打电话。。。 |
[21:03] | I’m just saying it doesn’t look good. | 我只是说那看起来会有点麻烦 |
[21:06] | It’s going to be hard for the jury to believe | 对于陪审团来说,他们很难相信 |
[21:09] | your brother risked burning your wife openly | 你弟弟在没有你做出宽恕承诺的情况下 |
[21:11] | without some assurance of a pardon, | 去冒险当众烧死你的妻子 |
[21:13] | particularly when the punishment | 尤其是当会受到 |
[21:15] | is death by hanging. | 绞死的惩罚时。 |
[21:17] | Do you think I’m guilty, Ms. Washington? | 你认为我是无辜的吗?Washington女士 |
[21:19] | My opinion doesn’t matter. | 我怎么想不重要 |
[21:20] | Yeah, well, I’m taking a poll. | 好吧,那么,我做个民意调查好了 |
[21:24] | You pardoned the man that murdered your wife. | 你可是宽恕了那个谋杀了你妻子的人呀 |
[21:27] | Could you kill your sibling? | 你会害死你的兄弟姐妹吗? |
[21:28] | All right, look, | 好了,听着 |
[21:30] | in your testimony, I don’t know if it’ll be enough | 我们不知道在你的证词里, |
[21:33] | to simply denounce the murder. | 只是谴责一下这次谋杀,够不够用 |
[21:35] | You have to condemn the idea of these honor killings, | 你必须要谴责这种荣誉处决的思想 |
[21:38] | and it probably wouldn’t hurt | 而且把你自己和你的祖国完全脱离干系 |
[21:40] | to distance yourself from your homeland altogether. | 可能也不会有什么坏处 |
[21:44] | I’m an American, Mr. Donnell, | 我是美国人,Donnell先生 |
[21:46] | but I’m also proud to be Pakistani. | 但我也以巴基斯坦为荣 |
[21:49] | I certainly won’t denounce my native country. | 我当然不会谴责我的祖国 |
[21:52] | I’m just saying it wouldn’t hurt. | 我只是说那不会有什么坏处 |
[22:03] | I looked over and I saw her. | 我四处巡视,看见了她 |
[22:06] | She was stuffing software into her purse. | 她正在往她的钱包里塞软盘 |
[22:09] | You saw this woman? | 你看见的是这个女人吗? |
[22:11] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的,夫人 |
[22:12] | And what happened next, sir? | 然后呢,先生? |
[22:14] | I started to approach her. She saw me coming. | 我开始接近她,她看到我过来 |
[22:17] | She appeared to know I was suspicious. | 她似乎知道我怀疑上她了 |
[22:19] | All of a sudden, she just took off. | 突然,她飞起身来 |
[22:22] | -She took flight? -Immediately. | -她逃跑了? -马上就跑了 |
[22:23] | And you couldn’t catch her? | 你没抓到她吗? |
[22:25] | Well, I inadvertently collided with another customer, | 我无意中撞到了另一个顾客客户 |
[22:27] | and as a result, she eluded capture. | 结果,她躲过了抓捕 |
[22:32] | Mr. Reddington, | Reddington先生 |
[22:33] | are you absolutely sure this is the woman you saw | 你确信这是你看到的 |
[22:36] | stuffing software into her purse? | 把软盘塞进她钱包的那个女人吗? |
[22:39] | Absolutely. | 绝对是 |
[22:40] | She’s even wearing the same yellow dress. | 她甚至还穿着同一件黄色连衣裙 |
[22:44] | She couldn’t have come to court in a different outfit? | 她就不能穿一套别的衣服出庭吗? |
[22:48] | Mr. Young? | Young先生? |
[22:49] | Yes, your honor. | 我在,法官大人 |
[22:51] | You’re up. | 该你了 |
[22:52] | Actually, my colleague Mr. Bassett | 实际上,我的同僚,Bassett先生 |
[22:54] | will be conducting cross. | 来做交叉质询 |
[22:57] | How nice. | 拭目以待 |
[23:01] | Mr. Reddington, are you certain this is the woman you saw? | Reddington先生,你确定这是你看到的那个女人吗? |
[23:05] | -Yes, I am. -Emma Lugar, -Emma Lugar | -是的,我确定 |
[23:08] | the very woman you picked out of a lineup? | 就是你从指认队列中指认出来的那个? |
[23:10] | Correct. | 没错 |
[23:11] | -This is that woman? You’re absolutely sure? -Yes. | -这就是那个女人?你确信? -是的 |
[23:14] | -Positive? -Objection– asked and answered. | -真有信心吗? -反对,证人已经回答了问题 |
[23:17] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[23:19] | Nothing further. | 没有要再问的了 |
[23:20] | The witness may step down. | 证人可以离席了 |
[23:22] | Nothing further? | 没有问题了? |
[23:24] | -It went well. -Went well? | -进展顺利 -进展顺利? |
[23:26] | You just got the witness to confirm the I. D. | 你刚刚让这个证人三次 |
[23:28] | three more times. We represent the defendant. | 确认了那个指认,我们可是代表被告的 |
[23:31] | I realize that. | 我知道 |
[23:33] | Mr. Bassett, something to share with the court? | Bassett先生,你有什么要跟法庭讲的吗? |
[23:36] | Yes, your honor. | 有的,法官大人 |
[23:37] | At this time, I would ask | 此时此刻,我要请出 |
[23:39] | that the real Emma Lugar please stand up. | 真正的Emma Lugar站出来 |
[23:45] | That’s the woman charged with the crime, your honor. | 那就是受到指控的女人,法官大人 |
[23:48] | The witness identified this woman here, | 而证人指认的女人在这里 |
[23:51] | whose name is Marjorie Hooley. | 她的名字是Marjorie Hooley。 |
[24:00] | I will see counsel in chambers. | 律师都到后庭来 |
[24:13] | Injustice demanded it. | 这是不公平对待导致的 |
[24:16] | Justice demanded you commit a fraud on the court? | 你在法庭上作假就是遵循公正吗? |
[24:19] | The lineup was tainted. As Ms. Lugar’s attorney– | 队列指认是有问题的,作为Lugar女士的律师。。。 |
[24:21] | -Harland. -Both of you are in contempt. -Harland。 | -你们俩都藐视了法庭 |
[24:23] | I didn’t know. | 我真不知道 |
[24:25] | I told you I would hold you accountable. | 我跟你说了要追究你的责任 |
[24:28] | You’re in contempt. | 你在藐视法庭 |
[24:29] | You have to declare a mistrial. | 您应该宣布无效审判 |
[24:32] | Double jeopardy has been attached, Ms. Alexander. | Alexander女士,已经可以构成一罪不二审了 (陪审团介入后的无效审判属于一罪不二审的适用范畴) |
[24:35] | She could walk with a mistrial. | 审判无效的话她就自由了 |
[24:37] | I would suggest you declare a mistrial on shoplifting, | 我建议您针对商店偷窃罪宣布无效审判 |
[24:40] | hold the defendant in contempt of court, | 判被告和她的律师藐视法庭 |
[24:42] | as well as counsel, and slap her hard. | 狠狠地修理她一顿 |
[24:44] | That’s completely unethical. | 那是完全不道德的 |
[24:45] | Oh, you’re going to raise ethics? | 噢,你打算谈谈道德吗? |
[24:47] | The defendant followed the advice of her attorney. | 被告是遵照律师的建议行事的 |
[24:49] | You can’t imprison her | 您不能因为她坐在旁听席上 |
[24:50] | for sitting in the back of a courtroom. | 就把她关起来。 |
[24:52] | I think we should just finish the trial | 我认为我们应该完成这次庭审 |
[24:54] | and all learn from our mistakes. | 所有人都从我们的错误中吸取教训。 |
[24:59] | This is what will happen. | 接下来,这么办 |
[25:01] | We will put both of those women at your table, | 我们把这两个女人都送上被告席 |
[25:05] | then allow the witness to make another I. D. | 让证人再做一次指认 |
[25:07] | I will instruct the jury to disregard the first one. | 我会指示陪审团不去理会第一次指认 |
[25:11] | That will be tantamount to steering the witness, your honor. | 法官大人,这就相当于引导证人。 |
[25:13] | Mr. Bassett, the court is not interested | Bassett先生,这个法庭对 |
[25:15] | in anything you have to say. | 你说的一切都不感兴趣 |
[25:18] | Get those women at your table. | 把那些女人带上被告席吧 |
[25:20] | We will reconvene after lunch. | 我们午饭后再次开庭 |
[25:28] | The contract looks fine | 关于你和孩子父亲之间的关系 |
[25:29] | as between you and the biological father. | 这个合同看起来还不错 |
[25:32] | -But? -Well, you don’t have any authority | -然而? -这样说吧,你没有任何权力 |
[25:34] | to waive the child’s rights. | 去放弃孩子的权益 |
[25:36] | If she wants to sue for financial support | 如果她今后申请经济补助的话 |
[25:38] | down the road, you can’t really contract against it. | 你真的不能表示反对 |
[25:41] | You didn’t think of that? | 你没想到吗? |
[25:46] | You got something to say, Jimmy? | 你有话要说吗,Jimmy? |
[25:47] | -All right– -No. | -行了。。。 -没有 |
[25:48] | What the hell did that mean? | 那到底是什么意思? |
[25:49] | -Ell– -He made a remark, Lindsay, -Ell。。。 | -Lindsay,他叨叨了一句, |
[25:51] | and I’m going to address him on that. | 我要跟他理论一下 |
[25:53] | What’s your problem, Jimmy? | 你有毛病吗,Jimmy? |
[25:55] | Okay. | 好吧。 |
[25:57] | My problem is this single mother thing– | 我的问题是,单亲母亲。。。 |
[26:00] | more times than not, | 大多数情况下 |
[26:02] | I think it’s a selfish thing to do. | 我认为是一种自私的做法 |
[26:05] | Is that right? | 是吗? |
[26:07] | Yes. | 没错 |
[26:08] | You’re getting a child. Good for you. | 你有了个孩子,对你而言很好 |
[26:12] | As for the baby, | 但对于这个孩子, |
[26:13] | she’s getting a life with no father. | 她的生活中没有父亲 |
[26:15] | It’s tough enough growing up these days with– | 这样没有父亲的成长经历是艰难的。。。 |
[26:18] | I’m just saying I don’t think it’s any coincidence | 我就是要说,我不认为这是巧合 |
[26:21] | when you drew up that contract there, | 当你在那边起草合同的时候, |
[26:23] | you didn’t once consider it from the child’s side. | 你压根儿没有站在孩子角度去考虑 |
[26:26] | Well, consider this, Jimmy. | 那么,Jimmy,来考虑一下这个, |
[26:29] | Go to hell, | 下地狱去吧, |
[26:30] | which I know you believe in, | 根据你大部分信仰的来源。 |
[26:32] | given the origins of most of your beliefs. | 我知道你是相信有地狱的 |
[26:35] | Fine. Insult me as a Catholic. | 辱骂我是天主教徒,没关系 |
[26:37] | All right, this discussion isn’t necessary. | 好了,没必要讨论这个话题 |
[26:39] | No, I am insulting you as a friend, | 不,我是在把你当成一个朋友来辱骂 |
[26:41] | somebody who I happen to love | 一个我碰巧很喜欢的朋友 |
[26:43] | and somebody who I expect to be there for me– | 一个我期望能在这里帮我的朋友。。。 |
[26:46] | You know what? | 你明白吗? |
[26:48] | Forget it. | 当我没说过好了。 |
[27:04] | I was horrified as everybody else. | 我和别的人一样被吓坏了 |
[27:07] | You didn’t know what he planned to do. | 你不知道你弟弟计划这么做吧 |
[27:09] | Set my wife on fire? | 把我妻子烧死? |
[27:11] | Of course not. | 当然不知道 |
[27:14] | How did he find out about your wife’s affair? | 他怎么知道你妻子有外遇? |
[27:16] | I told him. | 我跟他说的 |
[27:18] | I was very hurt about it, so I shared my– | 我很伤心,所以我诉说了我的。。。 |
[27:22] | What was his reaction? | 他什么反应? |
[27:24] | He was angry, but he certainly gave me no indication | 他很生气,但他肯定没有暗示我 |
[27:27] | that he planned to take her life. | 他计划要杀了她 |
[27:29] | These honor killings– | 这些荣誉处决。。。 |
[27:31] | are they sanctioned by Islamic law? | 伊斯兰法律允许吗? |
[27:34] | No, nor are they by Pakistani law. | 不允许,巴基斯坦的法律也不允许 |
[27:36] | It’s simply a custom, an ancient one, | 这是一种习俗,古代的习俗 |
[27:38] | which is hardly ever practiced. | 很少实际发生过 |
[27:40] | The question becomes your brother. | 现在的问题关于你的弟弟 |
[27:43] | Did you know that he believed | 你知道他信奉 |
[27:46] | in honor killings? | 荣誉处决吗? |
[27:48] | No. It was nothing we ever talked about. | 不知道,我们从未谈到这些 |
[27:50] | He’s an educated man. | 他是有教养的人 |
[27:52] | He burned your wife. | 但他烧死了你的妻子 |
[27:57] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:01] | And you pardoned him. | 而你宽恕了他 |
[28:11] | Because he’s my brother. | 因为他是我的弟弟 |
[28:15] | I know his heart, and… | 我理解他的初衷,而且。。。 |
[28:19] | if I didn’t, he would have been hanged. | 如果我不那么做,他会被绞死 |
[28:24] | As much as I hate him for what he did– | 我是那么地憎恨他的做做所为。。。 |
[28:26] | as much as I– | 如同我。。。 |
[28:27] | I will never be able to forgive him, | 我永远也不能原谅他, |
[28:30] | I couldn’t sign his death warrant. | 我同样也无法签署他的死亡授权书 |
[28:38] | Your brother decides to redeem you | 你的弟第决意为了挽回你的名誉 |
[28:40] | by burning your spouse alive. | 而去活活烧死你的妻子 |
[28:42] | He doesn’t check with you first | 他都没有和你事先商量 |
[28:43] | to say, “Hey, do you mind?” | 比如说“嘿,你在意吗?” |
[28:45] | He knew I would have stopped him. | 他知道我会阻止他的。 |
[28:47] | Did he know you’d pardon him? | 他知道你会宽恕他吗? |
[28:48] | No. | 不知道 |
[28:50] | He commits murder in front of a lot of witnesses | 他当众犯下罪行 |
[28:52] | -with no assurance that you’d– -That’s right. | -在并没有得到你保证的情况下。。。 -是的 |
[28:54] | Where is he now, Mr. Sharif? | 他现在在哪里?Sharif先生 |
[28:55] | He’s in Pakistan. | 他在巴基斯坦 |
[28:57] | So he’ll burn a woman to preserve your honor, | 那么说他为了维护你的名誉烧死了一个女人 |
[28:59] | but he can’t get on a plane | 但他却不能 |
[29:00] | and come testify on your behalf? | 来帮你作证? |
[29:02] | If he came to this country, he’d be jailed for life. | 如果他来到这个国家,他会被终身监禁 |
[29:05] | So he’s letting you take the fall. | 那么他使你代人受过 |
[29:07] | He kills the wife, you take the rap. | 他杀了你妻子,而你接受惩罚 |
[29:09] | Getting convicted of murder– that’s not a dishonor to you? | 被判谋杀罪。。。这对你来说不是耻辱吗? |
[29:13] | In your country, it’s not a disgrace | 在你的国家,被判杀人罪, |
[29:15] | -to be a convicted murderer? -Objection. | -这不是耻辱吗? -反对 |
[29:17] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[29:19] | How about simply committing murder? | 只是犯个谋杀罪又怎么了? |
[29:20] | Any dishonor in that? | 有什么不光彩的? |
[29:22] | Your brother is even a hero over there, isn’t he? | 你弟弟在那边甚至成了英雄,不是吗? |
[29:24] | Objection– what’s the relevance? | 反对。。。有什么关联? |
[29:26] | The relevance is this is win/win. | 关联性在于,这是双赢 |
[29:27] | One brother gets rid of a wife | 兄弟俩一个摆脱了妻子 |
[29:29] | while the other one gets to enjoy a hero’s status. | 同时另一个则享受着英雄的地位 |
[29:32] | -Objection. Move to strike. -I don’t consider my brother a hero. | -反对,请求不与记录 -我可不认为我弟弟是英雄 |
[29:35] | The objection is sustained. | 反对有效 |
[29:37] | Mr. Sharif, is it your testimony | Sharif先生,你是作证说 |
[29:40] | that, knowing Pakistani culture, | 即使了解巴基斯坦的文化 |
[29:42] | it wasn’t at all foreseeable | 也完全无法预料到 |
[29:44] | that your brother might attempt to kill your wife? | 你的弟弟可能会企图杀死你的妻子,是吗? |
[29:47] | Murder is not part of Pakistani culture, | 谋杀并不是巴基斯坦文化的一部分 |
[29:49] | Ms. Gamble. | Gamble女士 |
[29:50] | Wait a second. | 等等 |
[29:52] | We’re here today because a man’s honor | 我们今天之所以在这里,是因为一个男人的荣誉 |
[29:54] | has been placed above a woman’s life. | 的代价是一个女人付出了生命 |
[29:56] | It’s an ancient custom. | 这是一个古老的习俗 |
[29:58] | It doesn’t reflect today’s practice. | 它并不表明现今的做法 |
[30:00] | Mr. Sharif, are little girls used | Sharif先生,在巴基斯坦 |
[30:02] | to settle disputes in Pakistan? | 女孩子被用来解决争端吗? (每年在巴基斯坦死于“荣誉处决”的女性约在1000人) |
[30:04] | Again, you’re talking about an archaic custom. | 再说一次,你谈到的是一个古老的习俗。 |
[30:08] | Practiced by the same people | 一个被那些实施荣誉处决的罪犯们 |
[30:09] | that commit these honor killings. | 不断践行的习俗。 |
[30:11] | Objection– this is so far off track. | 反对。。。这离题太远了 |
[30:14] | Sustained. Keep it about the case, Ms. Gamble. | 反对有效,回到这个案子上吧,Gamble女士 |
[30:16] | This is about the case, your honor. | 这就是关乎本案的,法官大人 |
[30:18] | He knew where he was sending his wife | 他知道他把他太太送到哪儿去 |
[30:20] | and he knew what would happen to her. | 而且他也知道她会发生什么事 |
[30:22] | -Objection. -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[30:25] | Mr. Sharif, did you call your brother from the airport | Sharif先生,你在你妻子出发的那天 |
[30:28] | the day your wife flew out? | 从机场给你的弟弟打电话了吗? |
[30:30] | -Yes, but I was– -And you called him again | -是的,但我那是。。。 -而你在你太太被烧死的当天 |
[30:32] | the same day your wife was set on fire, didn’t you? | 又给你弟弟打过电话,不是吗? |
[30:35] | With respect to my trip. | 那是谈及我的旅程 |
[30:43] | With respect to your trip. | 谈及你的旅程? |
[30:49] | I have nothing further. | 我没有什么要问的了 |
[31:10] | I didn’t really think it was an illegal thing to do. | 我并不认为这是违法的 |
[31:12] | Then why didn’t you tell me you planned to do it? | 那你为什么不告诉我你打算这么做? |
[31:14] | Well, I knew it was dicey and I didn’t want | 好吧,我知道这是赌博性的,我不想 |
[31:17] | -to get your hands dirty. -Didn’t want me to get my hands dirty? | -把你牵连进来 -你不想牵连我? |
[31:19] | My hands are all over this, Harland. | 我完全脱不了干系的,Harland |
[31:20] | -Eugene– -I’m here as a favor to you. -Eugene。。。 | -我是来帮你忙的 |
[31:22] | You walk into my office, | 你走进我办公室 |
[31:23] | ask for my help, and this is what you do? | 请求我的帮助,这是你做的吧? |
[31:25] | Now, you may not care about your reputation, | 而现在,你可能不在乎你的名誉 |
[31:27] | but I damn well care about mine, | 但我TMD很关心我自己的 |
[31:29] | and sitting at the same table with you | 我和你一起出庭 |
[31:31] | hurts my reputation. Can you understand that? | 损害了我名誉,你懂吗? |
[31:33] | You did that to me in there. | 你在那里,对我做出那样的事。。。 |
[31:37] | That wasn’t my intent. | 那不是我的本意 |
[31:44] | See this briefcase, Eugene? | 看到这个公文包了吗,Eugene? |
[31:47] | It’s my office. | 这就是我的办公室 |
[31:50] | I got evicted from– | 我被赶了出来。。。 |
[31:53] | Hard to make a rent when you can’t get a client. | 没有生意做,连房租也付不起 |
[31:58] | And you think acting like a buffoon | 那你觉得行如小丑 |
[31:59] | will get you clients? | 就可以得到客户了? |
[32:01] | I think if I can get one victory | 我觉得如果我赢一次的话 |
[32:03] | and I can stop having to advise potential clients | 我就可以不再向潜在的客户提示说 |
[32:06] | that I’ve never– | 我从未赢过。。。 |
[32:07] | It was worth risking contempt! | 值得冒着被判藐视法庭的风险! |
[32:16] | When this case is over, | 这案子了结之后, |
[32:18] | don’t you ever, | 你永远, |
[32:21] | ever come to see me again. | 永远别再来找我 |
[32:27] | You got that? | 你明白了吗? |
[32:31] | Got it. | 明白了 |
[32:49] | Did I miss something? | 我错过了什么事吗? |
[32:51] | Did you? | 你们呢? |
[32:53] | The commonwealth put no evidence of any conversation | 州检没有提供出证据以证明 |
[32:56] | between my client and his brother | 在我的当事人和他弟弟之间有任何谈话 |
[32:59] | concerning the death of Julie McGrath– | 涉及到Julie McGrath之死。。。 |
[33:02] | no evidence of any planning, any aid, | 没有任何有关策划和辅助的证据 |
[33:04] | no evidence whatsoever | 没有任何证据表明 |
[33:06] | that my client knew it was going to happen. | 我的当事人事先知晓 |
[33:09] | The prosecution’s entire case is, | 控方全部立案依据是 |
[33:11] | “Gee, they were brothers. He must have known.” | “哎呀,他们是兄弟,他一定事先知晓” |
[33:14] | That’s it. | 就是这样 |
[33:16] | Imaad Sharif is on trial here only out of frustration. | Imaad Sharif在这里被审判仅仅是出于他们的挫败感 |
[33:21] | They can’t get the real killer. | 因为他们无法抓到真正的凶手 |
[33:25] | A sympathetic family sits over there wanting justice. | 一个令人同情的家庭坐在那边寻求正义 |
[33:29] | A frustrated district attorney wants somebody to pay, | 遭到挫败的地区检察官想找个替罪羊 |
[33:34] | so it’s, “Let’s nail the brother.” | 所以这就是“让我们钉死他的兄弟” |
[33:39] | You know, usually I find myself standing up here | 通常我会站在这里 |
[33:41] | asking juries to analyze the evidence… | 要求陪审团分析证据。。。 |
[33:44] | find not guilty beyond reasonable doubt. | 达成排除合理怀疑的无罪裁决 |
[33:51] | Here, there is no evidence. | 本案,根本没有证据 |
[33:57] | None. | 一个也没有 |
[34:02] | You want evidence? | 你们想要证据? |
[34:04] | A wife cheats on her husband. | 妻子对丈夫不忠 |
[34:07] | Suddenly, he plans a trip to Pakistan. | 突然间,他计划去巴基斯坦旅行 |
[34:10] | He sends her off alone. | 他送她独自前去 |
[34:13] | His brother kills her | 他的弟弟杀了她 |
[34:15] | while he sits comfortably in the United States | 同时他舒舒服服呆在美国 |
[34:17] | with an alibi. | 有了不在场证明 |
[34:19] | Then, pursuant to Pakistani law, he grants a pardon, | 然后,根据巴基斯坦法律,他给予了一个宽恕 |
[34:24] | and his brother completely gets away with it. | 他弟弟完全脱罪 |
[34:29] | Yes, it’s a little frustrating. | 没错,是有点挫败感 |
[34:34] | The murderer falls back on Pakistani law | 凶手求助于巴基斯坦法律 |
[34:37] | where this tribal qisas thing can get him off, | 在那里,部族的一个叫什么Qisas的玩意儿能让他免罪 |
[34:42] | while the conspiring husband relies on American courts | 与此同时,这个共谋的丈夫依靠美国法庭 |
[34:47] | and takes advantage of our higher burdens of proof. | 并利用我们要担负沉重的举证责任而投机取巧 |
[34:52] | This man comes from a society | 这个人来自一个 |
[34:54] | that treats women as commodities, | 把女人看成商品的社会 |
[34:58] | a nation that burns bad wives. | 一个烧死不忠妻子的国家 |
[35:01] | In America, we don’t do that. | 在美国,我们 |
[35:04] | We don’t condone honor killings. | 我们不会容忍荣誉处决 |
[35:07] | We don’t consider any murder to be honorable. | 我们绝不认为谋杀有什么光荣的。 |
[35:11] | You all know what he did. | 你们都知道他做了什么。 |
[35:14] | Come back with a verdict which reminds him | 做出一个判决吧 |
[35:19] | what country he is in now. | 让他明白现在他是在哪儿! |
[35:31] | And as I said before, | 我之前说过的 |
[35:34] | as she saw me coming, she took off. | 当她看到我过来,她撒腿就跑 |
[35:36] | I continued pursuit, | 我继续追她 |
[35:38] | but after colliding with another customer, | 但不小心撞到了另一个顾客 |
[35:40] | she got away. | 于是她跑掉了 |
[35:42] | And, Mr. Reddington, one more time, | 那么,Reddington先生,我再确认一下 |
[35:44] | I would ask you to identify for the court | 我要求你为法庭指认出 |
[35:47] | the woman you saw in the store that day. | 当天你在商店看到的那个女人 |
[35:50] | She’s sitting right there in the blue dress. | 她就穿着蓝色连衣裙坐在那儿 |
[35:54] | Mr. Reddington, I’d like you to look closely. | Reddington先生,我想让你看仔细些 |
[35:58] | Are you sure the woman in the blue dress is the one? | 你确定是这个穿着蓝色连衣裙的吗? |
[36:01] | Absolutely. | 绝对是 |
[36:02] | Sir, one more time. | 先生,请再确认一次 |
[36:05] | Objection. | 反对 |
[36:06] | That’s her in the blue dress. | 就是那个穿蓝色连衣裙的 |
[36:08] | Are you sure it wasn’t me? | 你能肯定不是我吧? |
[36:11] | I’m directing a verdict of not guilty. | 我做出了一个无罪裁决 |
[36:16] | Ms. Lugar, you are free to go, | Lugar女士,你可以走了 |
[36:18] | as are you, Ms. Blue dress. | 穿蓝衣服的那位女士,我甚至都不知道你叫啥 |
[36:20] | I don’t even know your name. | 你也可以走了 |
[36:22] | Bailiff, take Mr. Bassett into custody. | 法警,将Bassett先生收押 |
[36:24] | Mr. Bassett, I sentence you to 15 days in lockup | Bassett先生,我判你 |
[36:28] | for contempt of court, | 因藐视法庭监禁十五天 |
[36:29] | sentence to begin immediately. | 即刻生效 |
[36:31] | (bangs gavel) | |
[36:34] | We won. | 我们赢了! |
[36:35] | Yes, we did. | 是的,我们成功了 |
[36:37] | This counts. | 这算是一次 |
[36:38] | It’s a jury trial. | 这是陪审团审判 |
[36:40] | It counts. | 这算数 |
[36:45] | Thank you, Eugene. | 谢谢你,Eugene |
[36:49] | Sure. | 不客气 |
[37:16] | The truth is, I do have a problem | 其实,就像我说的那样,我确实是 |
[37:19] | with the single mother thing as an ideal, like I said. | 不同意把单身母亲这类事作为一个理想 |
[37:24] | The truth is I do consider us like family, | 实际上我想我们就像一家人 |
[37:29] | and family members judge each other all the time. | 家庭成员总是互相评判的 |
[37:32] | We’re always in each other’s business. | 我们总是关心彼此的事务 |
[37:35] | I took the liberty of butting into yours | 我冒昧地顶撞了你 |
[37:38] | because I do care about you, Ellenor. | 是因为我关心你,Ellenor |
[37:42] | You’re like a sister to me, | 你像我的妹妹一样 |
[37:46] | and while I may have doubts about what you’re doing, | 虽然我对你的做法有些质疑 |
[37:50] | there should be no doubt | 但毫无疑问 |
[37:52] | that I will be there for you every step, | 不管你需要什么 |
[37:57] | whatever you need. | 我会一直在这里帮助你 |
[38:00] | I know that, Jimmy, | 我明白的, Jimmy |
[38:04] | and I appreciate that. | 我很感激 |
[38:09] | I wish you could see | 我希望你能知道 |
[38:12] | what I need right now | 我现在需要的 |
[38:16] | is for you to share in my joy. | 是你来分享我的快乐 |
[38:43] | Mr. Sharif, please rise. | Sharif先生,请起立 |
[38:48] | Has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团有一致的裁决了吗? |
[38:50] | We have, your honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[38:52] | What say you? | 请宣布 |
[38:54] | Commonwealth vs. Imaad Sharif, | 马萨诸塞州指控Imaad Sharif |
[38:57] | count one on the charge | 第一项罪名 |
[38:58] | of accessory before the fact to murder– | 事前从犯。。。 (指在犯罪准备期间提供协助,而事后从犯一般指窝藏主犯) |
[39:01] | we find the defendant Imaad Sharif… | 我们裁决被告Imaad Sharif。。。 |
[39:04] | guilty. | 罪名成立 |
[39:05] | Count two, on the charge | 第二项罪名 |
[39:08] | of conspiracy to commit murder, | 谋杀共谋罪 |
[39:10] | we find the defendant Imaad Sharif… | 我们裁决被告Imaad Sharif。。 |
[39:13] | guilty. | 罪名成立 |
[39:21] | Ask the court enter findings of not guilty | 尽管陪审团已经做出裁决, |
[39:24] | of both counts, notwithstanding the verdict. | 请求法庭介入对此两项罪名,改判无罪 |
[39:26] | Denied. Security, take the defendant into custody. | 否决辩方提议,警卫,将被告收押 |
[39:28] | We’ll schedule sentencing later. | 我们随后宣判量刑 |
[39:32] | Members of the jury, thank you for your service. | 陪审团成员们,感谢你们的服务 |
[39:34] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 |
[39:47] | I need a second. | 让我说几句好吗 |
[39:50] | Ex parte, counsel. | 律师,这是单方面接触 |
[39:52] | Oh, we’re suddenly going to exalt the law? | 噢,我们现在突然严肃法纪了? |
[39:55] | It would be a big mistake | 放你进来对我无礼 |
[39:56] | for you to come in here and insult me. | 真是犯了个大错误。 |
[40:00] | Well, this seems to be the day for big mistakes. | 看来今天就是犯大错的日子 |
[40:03] | There was no basis for that verdict, | 这一判决没有依据 |
[40:04] | and you know it. It was totally– | 你心里明白,那完全是。。。 |
[40:06] | You’re going to tell me what I know? | 你要告诉我我明白什么? |
[40:08] | Let me tell you what I know. | 我来告诉你吧 |
[40:10] | I’ve always known you to be a judge who’s about the law, | 我一直认为你是一个很在乎法律的法官 |
[40:13] | despite all the wacky stuff you got going on. | 不管遇到什么怪异的案子 |
[40:15] | When you put that robe on, you’ve always been a judge– | 当你穿上法官长袍时,你就是一个。。。 |
[40:17] | a good one, a fair one. | 优秀的,公正的法官。 |
[40:20] | You pride yourself on that. | 你以此感到自豪 |
[40:21] | Where the hell was your pride today? | 今天你的自豪去哪里了? |
[40:23] | The district attorney delivered | 地区检察官做了一次 |
[40:25] | one of the most bigoted closings I’ve ever seen, | 我所见过的最有偏见的结案陈词 |
[40:27] | and you didn’t blink. | 而你却无动于衷 |
[40:29] | The prejudice in this trial has been screaming! | 这次庭审中,充斥着偏见之声 |
[40:31] | And the loudest scream | 异常刺耳的偏见之声 |
[40:33] | came in the form of that verdict. | 以裁决的形式体现出来 |
[40:35] | How in God’s name can you let it stand? | 看在上帝的份上,你能允许其成立? |
[40:38] | For the record, counsel, what you call bigotry | 必须明确指出的是,律师,你所说的偏见 |
[40:43] | the district attorney calls motive, | 地区检察官称之为动机, |
[40:45] | and she is free to argue that. | 她可以去自由发挥 |
[40:47] | Second, circumstantial evidence | 其次,间接证据 |
[40:50] | is enough to convict, | 是足以定罪的 |
[40:52] | and this jury found that evidence to be compelling. | 而且这个陪审团认为那些证据是有说服力的 |
[40:56] | It is not my function to substitute my judgment. | 我的职责不是用我的判断力去替代陪审团的 |
[41:01] | And lastly, off the record, | 最后,私下说 |
[41:05] | any man whose brother burns women alive– | 任何一个人有个弟弟能把女人活活烧死。。。 |
[41:10] | he can’t be all good. | 这个人也不是个好东西 |
[41:12] | Now please leave. | 现在请出去吧 |
[41:15] | Wow. | 哇 |
[41:19] | I guess prejudice | 我想偏见有时候 |
[41:20] | is cloaked in black robes sometimes, too. | 也会套上法官黑色长袍的 |
[41:25] | I asked you to leave, | 我要求你出去 |
[41:27] | and you would be wise to do so now. | 而且你现在这么做会是比较明智的。 |
[41:37] | (door slams) | |
[41:48] | Hey, Eugene. | 嗨,Eugene |
[41:50] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[41:54] | You doing okay? | 你还好吧? |
[41:56] | Oh, sure. | 哦,是的 |
[41:58] | They took away my tie, my shoelaces, | 他们把我的鞋带和领带拿走了 |
[42:01] | like I’m going to hang myself or something. | 好像我会把自己勒死似的 |
[42:03] | Believe that? | 你会相信吗? |
[42:05] | On this day, coming off a victory? | 在这样一个获得胜利的日子里? |
[42:07] | Yeah, right. | |
[42:08] | It was a victory. You realize that? | 这是一次胜利,你这样认为的? |
[42:13] | Oh, of course I do. | 噢,我当然这么认为了 |
[42:18] | I want to apologize for humiliating you. | 我想对你表示歉意,我让你丢脸了 |
[42:20] | I never meant to. | 我绝对不是故意那样的 |
[42:23] | Ahh, I know. | 嗯,我知道 |
[42:26] | The insurance company | 承保保险公司 |
[42:28] | has to lift that mandate now. | 现在必须取消那条指令。 |
[42:30] | No more having to warn clients you’ve never won. | 不能再要求你向客户提示你以往没有胜绩了吧 |
[42:33] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[42:35] | It’s a start. | 这是一个开端 |
[42:37] | You take the victory, you enjoy it, | 你取得了胜利,你享受它 |
[42:39] | then you build on it. | 而后你继往开来。 |
[42:42] | Oh, I will. | 噢,我会的 |
[42:44] | I’m just sitting here savoring the moment. | 我就是坐在这里享受这一刻 |
[42:47] | Nobody has to be worrying about me anymore. | 不会有人再担心我了 |
[42:51] | Good. | 那就好 |
[42:54] | Thanks, Eugene. | 谢谢你,Eugene |
[42:57] | Sure thing. | 别客气 |
[43:00] | Night, Harland. | 晚安,Harland |
[43:02] | Night. | 晚安 |
[43:58] | You stinker! |