时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on “The Practice”… | (前集回顾未作翻译) |
[00:02] | -I’m pregnant. -Who’s the father? | |
[00:04] | Actually, I’m keeping that confidential. | |
[00:06] | He’s basically just a sperm donor, | |
[00:08] | and I’m going to be a single mom. | |
[00:13] | That’s my rape signal pager. | |
[00:15] | My name’s Lucy Hatcher. | |
[00:18] | I’m a counselor from the rape crisis center. | |
[00:24] | When I saw what happened to her, I freaked. | |
[00:28] | This was your very first call. I think– | |
[00:30] | I’m just not cut out for it, Rebecca. | |
[00:31] | Without your help. | |
[00:35] | Thank you. | |
[00:36] | Sure. | |
[00:37] | Get out. | |
[00:39] | -What? -Go! | |
[00:43] | That’s my daughter. | |
[00:45] | Uh, she suffered some pretty tough internal injuries. | |
[00:47] | There’s also some swelling in the brain. | |
[00:49] | Now, she’s still unconscious and probably will stay that way | |
[00:51] | until, uh, well, the swelling goes down. | |
[00:54] | Hey, Beck. | |
[00:55] | You’re a godmother now. | |
[00:57] | We just need for you to wake up. | |
[01:15] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[01:18] | Oh, my. | 噢,天呀 |
[01:20] | He already looks bigger. | 他看着都变大了 |
[01:22] | Yeah, he eats like a hog. | 嗯,吃起来像头猪 |
[01:23] | Oh, he’s a gorgeous thing. | 真是个英俊的小家伙 |
[01:25] | Yeah, he is. | 嗯,的确是 |
[01:30] | Hey, Beck. | 嗨,BecK |
[01:32] | They let me in here with little Bobby. | 他们让我和小Bobby一起进来 |
[01:37] | Her neurological responses are improving. | 她的神经反应正在改善。 |
[01:41] | The doctor said the swelling is almost completely down. | 医生说脑内的肿胀几乎完全消退了。 |
[01:45] | Come on, Beck. | 加油,Beck |
[01:49] | Three days. | 三天了 |
[01:52] | Enough is enough. | 该醒过来了 |
[01:58] | That is so beautiful, Michael. | 太漂亮了,Michael |
[02:02] | It’s amazing– When are you publishing? | 太神奇了,什么时候出版? |
[02:04] | I’m hoping in June. | 希望六月份吧 |
[02:07] | Is this one here, is this going to be the cover? | 是这个吗,用这个当封面? |
[02:09] | Either that one or this here, | 或者是用这一个 |
[02:12] | this– this little girl. | 这个小女孩。 |
[02:13] | -Look at her face. -Yeah. | -看看她的脸 -是呀 |
[02:16] | Okay, you want to see something really incredible, Michael? | 好了,Michael,你想看看真正不可思议的东西吗? |
[02:21] | Okay. | 好呀 |
[02:23] | This is what I call | 这就是我称之为神奇图片的 |
[02:26] | an amazing picture. | 这就是我称之为神奇图片的 |
[02:28] | Look, that’s– That’s her head, | 看,这是。。。她的头 |
[02:32] | and her hands. | 还有小手 |
[02:37] | Wow. | 哇 |
[02:39] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[02:40] | You helped make that. | 你帮我做到的 |
[02:42] | Can you believe it? | 你敢相信吗? |
[02:47] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[02:49] | That’s, um… | 这真是,呃。。。 |
[02:55] | That’s what I came to talk to you about, Ellenor. | 这就是我来要和你谈的,Ellenor |
[02:58] | I’m not sure | 我不敢说我能遵守协议 |
[03:00] | that I can stick to the deal. | 我不敢说我能遵守协议 |
[03:03] | What do you mean? | 你的意思是? |
[03:07] | I want to help parent this baby. | 我想帮着抚养这个孩子 |
[03:09] | I know the agreement, | 我知道有协议,但当你请我去做一个父亲的时候。。。 |
[03:11] | but when you asked me to be the father– | 我知道有协议,但当你请我去做一个父亲的时候。。。 |
[03:13] | No, I asked you to be the donor. | 不,我请你做的是一个捐献者 |
[03:16] | And I thought that I could– | 我觉得我可以。。。 |
[03:18] | Then never mind the agreement. It’s a contract. | 别提什么协议了,那是一份合同,签过字的合同,Michael |
[03:20] | A signed one, Michael. | 别提什么协议了,那是一份合同,签过字的合同,Michael |
[03:24] | My… | 我的。。。 |
[03:26] | lawyer thinks that I can probably get around that. | 我的律师认为我可以规避这个合同 |
[03:32] | You’ve been to a lawyer? | 你去找过律师了? |
[03:33] | It’s one thing to– | 这是。。。 |
[03:36] | I thought that– | 我以为。。。 |
[03:39] | But to have a baby– | 但有了个孩子。。。 |
[03:41] | You don’t have a baby, Michael. | 你没有孩子,Michael |
[03:43] | I have a baby. | 是我有了一个孩子 |
[03:45] | You provided sperm. | 你提供的精子而已 |
[03:48] | I don’t want her to grow up without a father. | 我不想让她在没有父亲的情况下成长 |
[04:48] | -He changed his mind? -Yes, and we have a contract, | -他改主意了? -是的,但我们有合同 |
[04:51] | and he says he’s going to try to get around it. | 但他说要试图规避掉这个合同 |
[04:53] | He’s already been to see a lawyer. | 他已经找过律师了 |
[04:56] | Okay, try to calm down a little. | 好了,尽量冷静一点 |
[04:57] | Who is this guy? | 这家伙是谁? |
[04:58] | His name is Michael Hale. | 他叫Michael Hale |
[05:00] | He is a very successful photographer, | 是个很有成就的摄影师 |
[05:02] | and he is an old friend. | 而且也是一个老友 |
[05:04] | Friend like friends, or– | 朋友喜欢朋友,不如。。。 |
[05:07] | It wasn’t a romantic relationship, Lucy. | Lucy,这不是谈情说爱的关系, |
[05:08] | His involvement here is purely genetic. | 他在这事里纯粹就是遗传基因的关系 |
[05:12] | And you have a signed agreement? | 你们签了协议了吗? |
[05:13] | Yes, fully executed, | 是的,彻底完成了 |
[05:15] | terminating all of his rights as a father, | 解除他作为父亲的所有权力 |
[05:17] | and now he wants to go to court and get it voided. | 但现在他要去法庭申请将协议作废 |
[05:19] | When’s the hearing? | 听证会在什么时候? |
[05:21] | I’m not sure. | 我不知道 |
[05:23] | I mean, I threw him out. I’m not– | 我的意思是,我把他轰出去了,我没有问。。。 |
[05:25] | I don’t know. | 我不知道啥时候 |
[05:26] | Okay. | 好了 |
[05:28] | I’ll see if I can get his lawyer to come here | 我打算在他去法庭前把他的律师请到这儿来 |
[05:30] | before he goes into court. | 我打算在他去法庭前把他的律师请到这儿来 |
[05:32] | Once we get a judge involved– | 一旦法官介入进来。。。 |
[05:35] | It’s complicated, Ellenor. | 这事就复杂了,Ellenor |
[05:37] | I can’t– | 我不能。。。 |
[05:40] | I can’t believe he’s doing this. | 我不能相信他能这么干 |
[05:42] | We have a deal. | 我们是达成了协议的 |
[05:56] | Amanda McGowan, please. | 我找Amanda McGowan |
[05:57] | You are…? | 您是? |
[05:59] | I’m Lucy Hatcher, rape crisis. | 我是Lucy Hatcher,性侵危机处理中心的 |
[06:01] | Second door on the right. The doctor’s in with her. | 右边第二扇门,医生和她在一起。 |
[06:08] | Try to get a little rest. | 试着休息一下 |
[06:11] | I’m going to go talk to your dad. | 我会和你父亲谈谈, |
[06:12] | I’m sorry. Who are you? | 对不起,请问你是? |
[06:16] | Lucy Hatcher, rape crisis. | 性侵危机处理中心,Lucy Hatcher |
[06:18] | Oh, I already did the rape kit. | 哦,我已经做完性侵取证测试了 |
[06:20] | I need to speak to the father, then I’ll be back. | 我要和她父亲谈一下,随后回来 |
[06:22] | Okay. | 好的 |
[06:24] | Amanda, I’m Lucy Hatcher, | Amanda,我是Lucy Hatcher |
[06:25] | a counselor from the rape crisis– | 性侵危机处理中心的的一个顾问 |
[06:35] | How old are you? | 你多大了? |
[06:37] | Eleven. | 十一岁 |
[06:44] | She’s been gone for over three hours. | 她已经去了三个多小时了 |
[06:46] | They’re usually back here in an hour. | 通常他们在一小时内就该送她回来了 |
[06:48] | Well, let me check. | 我去问一下 |
[06:51] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[06:54] | Could you check on the status of patient Rebecca Washington? | 你可以查一下患者Rebecca Washingto目前的情况吗? |
[06:56] | She went down to radiology | 她几个小时前去了放射科 |
[06:58] | for a CAT scan several hours ago. | 做CAT扫描。 |
[07:00] | -Several hours ago? -Yes. | -几个小时前? -是的 |
[07:02] | Hold on. | 等一下。 |
[07:04] | Yes, ICU patient Washington, Rebecca | 没错,重症监护室的患者Washington Rebecca |
[07:08] | went for a PET scan and a CAT scan at 7:30. | 于七点半做PET和CAT扫描 |
[07:13] | She did? | 她做了吗? |
[07:16] | At what time? | 什么时间做的? |
[07:17] | She’s not in her room? | 她不在她的病房吗? |
[07:18] | -No, she isn’t. -No, she isn’t. | -不在 -不在,她不在 |
[07:21] | Would you check with patient escorts, please? | 请你和患者护送人员核对一下好吗? |
[07:23] | Thank you. | 多谢 |
[07:24] | She should be up here shortly. | 她应该一会就上来 |
[07:26] | Well, when did she leave radiology? | 那么,她什么时候离开放射科的? |
[07:29] | Well, I’m not sure, but I’m sure she’ll be back here shortly. | 我不清楚,但我确定她马上就会送回来。 |
[07:31] | (telephone rings) | |
[07:33] | Hold on. | 等一下 |
[07:34] | ICU. | 重症监护室 |
[07:36] | Um… | 唔。。。 |
[07:37] | No, she isn’t. | 不,她不在 |
[07:40] | Mm-hmm. | 嗯-哼。 |
[07:42] | Okay. | 好的 |
[07:43] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事? |
[07:45] | I’m going to page the doctor. | 我要叫一下医生 |
[07:47] | Yes, before you do that, nurse, | 护士,先告诉我Washington小姐到底在哪儿? |
[07:49] | I want to know where Ms. Washington is. | 护士,先告诉我Washington小姐到底在哪儿? |
[07:50] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[07:51] | Well, who does know? | 那么,谁会知道? |
[07:54] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[07:55] | Is she lost? | 她失踪了? |
[07:56] | At the moment, that’s a possibility. | 现在看,有可能是。 |
[08:01] | You keep talking to me in terms of contract, but– | 你一直在跟我谈合同条款,但是。。。 |
[08:04] | Because that’s what we have, Michael. | 因为那是咱们达成的,Michael |
[08:06] | -You and I– -I understand, | -你和我。。。 -我知道 |
[08:08] | and I fully intended to go through with it, but– | 而且我完全是打算执行协议的,但是。。。 |
[08:10] | So, what’s changed? | 那么,发生了什么变化? |
[08:11] | What’s changed is circumstances. | 有变化的是客观环境 |
[08:14] | How? Tell me. | 跟我说说,怎么变化了? |
[08:16] | Before, I was thinking in terms of genetics, | 之前,我考虑的是卵子授精之类的遗传学问题 |
[08:19] | in terms of sperm fertilizing an egg. | 之前,我考虑的是卵子授精之类的遗传学问题 |
[08:21] | But when it becomes a person– | 但是等到这弄出一个孩子来。。。 |
[08:24] | The idea was for it to become a person, Michael. | 这个想法的目的就是要弄出一个孩子来,Michael |
[08:28] | Yes, but– I had no conception | 那是,可是。。。我没有想到这对我产生的影响 |
[08:30] | of how that would affect me. | 那是,可是。。。我没有想到这对我产生的影响 |
[08:32] | It will be my child. | 这会是我的孩子呀 |
[08:34] | No, it won’t. She will be my child. | 不,她不是,她是我的孩子 |
[08:37] | And whatever any contract may say– | 不管合同上怎么约定的。。。 |
[08:38] | All right, all right, look, none of us wants | 好了,好了,听着,我们中没人想把这事闹大 |
[08:40] | to turn this into a big mess. | 好了,好了,听着,我们中没人想把这事闹大 |
[08:42] | Well, that’s exactly what your client is doing. | 这就是你的当事人正在做的 |
[08:44] | Ellenor. | Ellenor |
[08:46] | You were saying? | 你想说什么? |
[08:48] | We’re looking for paternity, then joint custody when– | 我们希望承认父子关系,然后获得共同监护权。。。 |
[08:50] | -Absolutely not. -Ellenor, you’d be primary. | -绝对不行 -Ellenor,你有监护优先权 |
[08:52] | I will not raise my child in a split environment, | 我不会在分离的环境中抚养我的孩子, |
[08:54] | having her pulled between two– | 让她在两个人之间被拉扯。。。 |
[08:55] | Look, I’m here right now | 听着,我现在就是在 |
[08:57] | trying to avoid going to court. If you’re– | 试图避免走上法庭,如果你。。。 |
[09:00] | Then go to court, Michael, | 那就上法庭吧,Michael |
[09:01] | because there is no way in hell | 因为我绝对不可能给你共同监护权 |
[09:02] | I am going to give you joint custody. | 因为我绝对不可能给你共同监护权 |
[09:11] | Do you want us to take a minute outside, while– | 你希望我们回避一会儿,从而。。。 |
[09:13] | My position will not change in a minute. | 我的立场这一会儿不会改变的 |
[09:19] | Then I guess we see you next with a judge. | 那我想下次见到你就会是在法庭上了 |
[09:26] | I’m not looking for a battle, Ellenor. | 我不想有一场争斗,Ellenor |
[09:30] | Well, you’ve got one, Michael. | 你已经有了,Michael |
[09:33] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[09:47] | We may not win, Ellenor. | 我们可能赢不了,Ellenor |
[09:49] | The law on this in Massachusetts is untested. | 相关法律在马萨诸塞州还没有实际运用过 |
[09:52] | Then we’re about to test it. | 那我们就去试试它 |
[09:54] | Listen, | 听着 |
[09:56] | I’m not necessarily saying make a deal, | 我不是说有必要达成妥协 |
[09:59] | but if you agree to some limited custody– | 但如果你同意给一些有限的监护权。。。 |
[10:01] | I won’t. | 我不会的 |
[10:03] | My fear is if a judge opens this thing up, | 我怕的是法官在这事上开一个先河 |
[10:06] | there’s a risk of full joint custody. | 那就要冒着完全共同监护权的风险了 |
[10:08] | How? We have a contract. | 怎么会?我们有合同 |
[10:10] | I understand, | 我理解 |
[10:12] | but what if that contract doesn’t hold up? | 但如果这个合同经不起检验怎么办? |
[10:27] | Are you suggesting, Ms. Garrett, | Garrett女士,你是在主张这不是一个有效的合同吗? |
[10:29] | this was not a valid contract? | Garrett女士,你是在主张这不是一个有效的合同吗? |
[10:31] | I’m suggesting that there was no meeting of the minds. | 我的主张的是这个合同没有达成共同的理解 |
[10:34] | It’s the equivalent of a mistake. | 这就相当于一个错误 |
[10:35] | A mistake? | 一个错误? |
[10:37] | Yes, Mr. Hale had no idea what he was giving up. | 是的,Hale先生不知道他放弃了什么权力 |
[10:40] | Now, wait a second. | 现在,等等, |
[10:42] | Your Honor, this contract violates public policy. | 法官大人,这个合同违背了公共政策 |
[10:45] | There is no question that if my client wanted | 毫无疑问,如果我的当事人想要放弃孩子 |
[10:49] | to surrender a child for adoption, | 交给别人领养 |
[10:51] | he couldn’t do that legally | 他也要等到孩子出生四天后,这样做才是合法的 |
[10:53] | until four days after the child was born. | 他也要等到孩子出生四天后,这样做才是合法的 |
[10:56] | And why is that? | 原因是什么? |
[10:58] | Because the law doesn’t want parents | 是因为法律不希望 |
[11:00] | signing away their rights | 父母在确认濒于绝境之前放弃他们的权利 |
[11:02] | before they know what’s really at stake. | 父母在确认濒于绝境之前放弃他们的权利 |
[11:04] | Mr. Hale always knew exactly what was at stake when– | Hale一直非常清楚这一点。。。。 |
[11:06] | How can you make that claim? | 你怎么能做出这样的断言 |
[11:08] | Because he executed a contract. | 因为他签署了一份合同 |
[11:11] | Yes, and perhaps there should be a presumption | 的确,或许从法律上推定应该支持这个协议 |
[11:14] | in favor of that agreement, but it can’t be irrebuttable, | 但这并不是不能质疑的 |
[11:17] | not when you’re talking about a child, | 当涉及到一个孩子的时候更是如此 |
[11:21] | and there will be a child that this very much affects, | 会有一个孩子受到极大的影响 |
[11:25] | and that’s what’s dawning on my client here. | 而那就是我的当事人开始意识到的 |
[11:27] | His daughter will come to him one day, like it or not, | 不管你喜不喜欢,他的女儿总有一天会来找他 |
[11:31] | and she may ask why she didn’t get to have a father. | 而且她也许会问为什么她没有父亲 |
[11:34] | What is he supposed to do then– | 那时候怎么办。。。 |
[11:36] | Hold up a contract? | 把这份合同拿出来给她看? |
[11:41] | All right. | 这样吧 |
[11:42] | I want to hear from the parties on this. | 我想听一下双方对合同的理解 |
[11:44] | Why? | 为什么? |
[11:47] | Because if Mr. Hale is claiming no meeting of the minds, | 因为如果Hale称没有达成一致的理解 |
[11:49] | I want to explore | 我想了解一下他们到底达成了哪些共识 |
[11:51] | exactly what they thought they were agreeing to. | 我想了解一下他们到底达成了哪些共识 |
[11:55] | 2:00. | 下午两点开始 |
[12:04] | Jimmy, | |
[12:06] | please don’t take this the wrong way | 拜托别走错路了 |
[12:07] | because I know you’re here to support me, | 因为我知道你是支持我的 |
[12:09] | and I really appreciate it, | 我针对对此很感激 |
[12:11] | but that was a horrible performance in there. | 但在法庭上你表现得太糟了 |
[12:13] | If a contract is clear on its face, which this one is, | 如果合同表面上是清晰的,而这个合同就是这样的 |
[12:17] | you do not go behind it | 你不要去为了分析双方的实际意图而对其斟酌 |
[12:18] | to explore the intent of the parties. | 你不要去为了分析双方的实际意图而对其斟酌 |
[12:20] | There was nothing ambiguous in the language, | 合同的语言表达没有任何含糊不清的地方 |
[12:23] | and you should have been screaming that. Instead– | 而你应该强调这一点,而不是。。。 |
[12:25] | Ellenor, this isn’t an ordinary contract. | Ellenor,这不是个普通的合同 |
[12:27] | Yes, it is. Yes, it is. | 是的,这是普通的合同,是的 |
[12:30] | If you believe that, you’re not thinking clearly. | 如果你那样认为,你就是没想清楚。 |
[12:32] | Now, listen to me. | 现在,听我说 |
[12:35] | That judge was not about to rule on the face of the language, | 那个法官不打算根据合同表面上的词语表达来做裁决 |
[12:38] | not when it involves a child. | 当涉及到一个孩子的时候,不会的 |
[12:40] | He’s taking into account best interests. | 他考虑的是对孩子的最佳利益 |
[12:42] | You know it as well as I do. | 你我都明白这一点 |
[12:46] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[12:48] | Then I want to go after Michael as unfit. | 我会攻击Michael,说他不适合得到监护权 |
[12:51] | With what? | 什么理由? |
[12:53] | I’ll tell you what. | 我会告诉你的 |
[13:00] | We are looking into it, I assure you. | 我们向你保证,我们正在调查此事 |
[13:02] | You’re looking into it? | 你们正在调查? |
[13:03] | How do you lose a patient? | 你们怎么会弄丢了一个患者? |
[13:05] | It’s possible that she could have been brought | 可能是她被送到了另一个名字也是Washington的患者病房里了 |
[13:07] | to another patient’s room who also has the name Washington, | 可能是她被送到了另一个名字也是Washington的患者病房里了 |
[13:09] | and we’re checking that out now. | 我们现在正在查 |
[13:11] | What are the other possibilities? | 有别的可能吗? |
[13:13] | Well, she could have regained consciousness. | 她可能恢复了知觉 |
[13:15] | She could be roaming around the building. | 她可能正在大楼里转悠呢 |
[13:16] | Would she be strong enough? | 她能有那么强壮吗? |
[13:18] | Well, she’d be weak, but she had no injuries | 她是很虚弱,但她没有受到可以妨碍她四处走动的伤情 |
[13:20] | that would prevent her from being ambulatory. | 她是很虚弱,但她没有受到可以妨碍她四处走动的伤情 |
[13:24] | Hello. | 你好, |
[13:25] | I’m Natalie Clarkson from patient relations. | 我是病人关系部的Natalie Clarkson |
[13:27] | There’s a problem? | 有什么问题吗? |
[13:28] | Yes, there’s a problem. You’ve lost my daughter. | 是的,是有问题了,你们把我女儿弄丢了 |
[13:31] | Okay, and she was last seen where? | 她最后一次被看见是在哪里? |
[13:34] | -She was last seen unconscious. -Helaine– -Helaine。。。 | -她最后一次被发现还是昏迷不醒的。。。 |
[13:36] | They’ve lost Rebecca, Bobby. | 他们弄丢了Rebecca,Bobby |
[13:38] | And now they send someone from customer service? | 而现在他们从客服部派了人来? |
[13:42] | You have lost my daughter, who is in a coma. | 你们弄丢了我的女儿,她还在昏迷中。 |
[13:45] | What are you two whispering about? | 你们俩在嘀咕什么? |
[13:48] | There is another Washington, | 还有另一个Washington |
[13:50] | a Regina Washington, who is currently– | Regina Washington,目前她。。。 |
[13:53] | What room is she in? | 她在哪个房间? |
[13:55] | Well, she’s listed as being in surgery right now. | 她被列入手术名单,现在正在进行手术 |
[13:57] | Um, she’s having her kidney removed. | 呃,她要被切除肾脏。 |
[14:07] | Hey, Luce. | 嘿,Luce |
[14:08] | Helen. | |
[14:11] | Hi, Amanda. How you doing? | 嗨,Amanda,你好吗? |
[14:13] | I’m okay. | 我还好 |
[14:15] | Amanda, this is Helen Gamble. | Amanda,这位是Helen Gamble。 |
[14:17] | She’s a district attorney. | 她是一个地区检查官 |
[14:19] | She’s going to get the guy who did this to you. | 她会抓到那个对你施暴的家伙 |
[14:21] | I heard you talked a little bit to the police. | 我知道你跟警察说过一些情况 |
[14:23] | Can I speak to you, too? | 我也可以和你谈谈吗? |
[14:25] | Your dad said it would be okay if I asked you some questions. | 你爸爸说我可以向你问一些问题 |
[14:27] | We can trust her. She’s here to help. | 我们可以相信她,她是来帮你的 |
[14:31] | The good news is we caught him. | 好消息是我们抓到他了, |
[14:34] | At least I’m pretty sure of it. | 至少我们非常相信这一点 |
[14:36] | What I was wondering is… | 我想知道的是。。。 |
[14:41] | I was wondering whether you’d be able | 我想知道你是否能 |
[14:42] | to look at what we call a police lineup. | 去指认队列里看一下 |
[14:45] | What’s that? | 那是什么? |
[14:47] | Well, you look at five men standing side by side, | 唔,你会看到五个男人挨着站在一起 |
[14:50] | and you point to the man who did it, | 如果你看到了那个做坏事的家伙 |
[14:53] | if you see him. | 你就指出来 |
[14:54] | -No. -Well, Amanda– -Amanda。。。 | -不行 |
[14:56] | No, I don’t want to see him. | 不,我不想看到他 |
[14:58] | Let me talk to Ms. Gamble one second. | 让我跟Gamble女士说几句 |
[15:07] | Does she have to? | 她必须去吗? |
[15:09] | The rape kit turned up nothing– | 性侵取证测试没有发现什么。。。 |
[15:11] | No semen, no DNA. | 没有精液,没有DNA |
[15:13] | This whole case comes down to eyewitness testimony. | 整个案子完全依赖目击证人 |
[15:16] | So it’ll be her word against his? | 那么只能靠她的证词来指控吗? |
[15:18] | No. We have another eyewitness. | 不,我们还有另一个目击证人 |
[15:20] | A woman saw it from a balcony. | 一个从阳台上看到事发的女人 |
[15:22] | Well, can’t you just arrest on that? | 那么,你就不能凭那个去逮捕他吗? |
[15:24] | Yes, but the truth is if Amanda I. D. s him now | 可以,但实际上,如果Amanda现在从指认队列里把他指认出来 |
[15:27] | in a lineup, our case gets better, | 我们的胜算更大 |
[15:29] | and she’s more likely to I. D. him at trial. | 她也就更有可能在庭审中指认他 |
[15:31] | I don’t think she’s strong enough emotionally | 我不认为她的精神状态足以去指认他,我真的不这样认为 |
[15:35] | to see him. I really don’t. | 我不认为她的精神状态足以去指认他,我真的不这样认为 |
[15:37] | I’ll push it through arraignment. | 我会通过传讯来推进此事 |
[15:40] | We’ll see how it goes. | 我们再看看有何进展。 |
[15:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[15:46] | There just wasn’t any room in my life for a family. | 在我的生活里没有考虑过家庭的问题 |
[15:50] | As a photojournalist, | 作为一个摄影记者 |
[15:52] | I’m always leaving for Bosnia or Vietnam, | 我总是去波斯尼亚或越南 |
[15:55] | you name it. | 只要是你能说出来的地方我都去过 |
[15:57] | I never even considered having a child. | 我从来没有考虑要个孩子 |
[15:59] | Until Ms. Frutt asked for your help. | 直到Frutt女士请你帮个忙 |
[16:01] | I knew she wanted a baby. | 我知道她想要一个孩子 |
[16:03] | When she approached me to be the donor, | 当她找我做捐赠者时, |
[16:05] | it just felt right, | 就是觉得这样挺好, |
[16:08] | and I knew how great she’d be with a child. | 我知道她有个小孩会多开心 |
[16:10] | And I thought if I could do that for her, | 并且我想如果我能为她那样做 |
[16:13] | give her that chance, | 给她那个机会 |
[16:15] | how could that be wrong? | 又有什么不好的? |
[16:18] | -You signed an agreement– -Yes. | -你签了那个协议 -是的 |
[16:20] | …relinquishing your rights as a father to this child. | 。。。放弃你作为这个孩子父亲的权利 |
[16:23] | All I can say is I made a mistake. | 我所能说的就是,那是个错误 |
[16:25] | I wanted it to work. | 我希望这会有用 |
[16:27] | I signed the contract thinking it would. | 我签了那个合同 |
[16:29] | But this isn’t some abstract gift I can give. | 但是,这不是某种我能赠送出去的抽象礼物 |
[16:33] | It’s a child… | 这是个孩子呀。。。 |
[16:36] | my child, who deserves to grow up | 我的孩子,他理应是在父爱下成长的 |
[16:38] | with the love of her father. | 我的孩子,他理应是在父爱下成长的 |
[16:41] | When you negotiated this agreement, | 当你们谈这个合同的时候, |
[16:42] | did you have a lawyer? | 你请了律师了吗? |
[16:44] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:45] | You intended to give up your rights to this child. | 你的意图是放弃你对这个孩子的权利的 |
[16:47] | Yes, but as I said– | 是的,但我说了。。。 |
[16:49] | And now you want the court to disregard your intent. | 而你现在希望法庭无视你的意图 |
[16:51] | I’m asking that my current intent | 我要求的是对于我现在的意图给予重视 |
[16:53] | be given more weight, especially since it serves | 尤其是因为这个意图符合这个孩子的最佳利益 |
[16:57] | the best interests of this child. | 尤其是因为这个意图符合这个孩子的最佳利益 |
[16:59] | Let’s consider, then, | 那么让我们也考虑一下 |
[17:01] | the interests of your son, Mr. Hale– | 你儿子的利益,Hale先生。。。 |
[17:03] | The one who’s seven years old. | 你那个七岁的儿子 |
[17:04] | -Objection. -Overruled. What son is this? | -反对 -反对无效,什么儿子? |
[17:07] | Mr. Hale? | Hale先生? |
[17:09] | Seven years ago, | 七年前 |
[17:11] | a girlfriend of yours had a child. | 你的一个女朋友怀了孩子 |
[17:12] | I was young. | 我那时年轻 |
[17:14] | I wasn’t ready to act like a father. | 我没有准备好去做父亲 |
[17:16] | -But now you are. -Yes, now I am. | -而你现在准备好了 -是的, |
[17:19] | Are you being a father to this seven-year-old boy? | 你是这个七岁男孩的父亲吗? |
[17:21] | -No. -Why not? | -不是 -为什么不是? |
[17:25] | You don’t think he needs the love of his father? | 你不认为他需要父爱吗? |
[17:27] | -Objection. -Overruled. | -反对 -反对无效 |
[17:29] | Have you even met that son, Mr. Hale? | Hale先生,你曾见过那个儿子吗? |
[17:33] | Look, I lost the chance to know my son. | 听着,我失去了去认儿子的机会了 |
[17:35] | I can’t just walk up to a seven-year-old kid | 我不可能就走到一个七岁男孩面前去自我介绍 |
[17:38] | and introduce myself. | 我不可能就走到一个七岁男孩面前去自我介绍 |
[17:40] | But here, I have a chance to be there from the start. | 但在这里,我有一个机会从头开始 |
[17:43] | Ever tell my client you could never be responsible enough | 你可曾告诉我的当事人, |
[17:46] | to raise a child? | 你永远不会有足够的责任感去抚养一个孩子? |
[17:48] | I once thought that, but I– | 我曾经想到过,但我。。。 |
[17:50] | Oh, you changed your mind on that, too. | 哦,你对此也改变过想法 |
[17:52] | People mature, Mr. Berluti. | 人都会变成熟的,Berluti先生 |
[17:54] | Is breaking a contract a sign of maturity? | 违约也算是成熟的标志吗? |
[17:57] | Have you ever been a father, sir? | 先生,你做过父亲吗? |
[17:59] | No, but you have, seven years ago. | 没有,但是你做过,七年前 |
[18:01] | You failed. You’re still failing. | 但你不合格,而你仍然会不合格的 |
[18:03] | -Objection. -Overruled. | -反对 -反对无效 |
[18:05] | And now you put this woman under stress | 而现在你在这个女人怀孕八个月的时候对她施压 |
[18:07] | while she’s eight months pregnant. | 而现在你在这个女人怀孕八个月的时候对她施压 |
[18:09] | That’s not my intent. | 那并非我的本意 |
[18:11] | -You know your intent? -Objection! | -你能搞明白自己的本意吗? -反对! |
[18:12] | Withdrawn. | 我撤回这个问题 |
[18:14] | How many months a year are you in town, Mr. Hale? | Hale先生,你一年在城里呆几个月? |
[18:17] | I am willing to adjust my lifestyle to be here more. | 我愿意调整我的生活方式以便在这里多一些时间 |
[18:20] | -You have a girlfriend, sir? -I do. | -先生,你有个女朋友? -我有 |
[18:22] | -How old is she? -What relevance does her age– | -她多大了? -她的年龄跟这有什么关联 |
[18:25] | The witness has suggested that he’s growing up. | 证人曾称自己正在变得成熟 |
[18:27] | How old is your girlfriend, sir? | 你女朋友多大了,先生? |
[18:29] | She’s 20. | 20岁 |
[18:32] | -Ever been convicted of anything? -Objection. | -你可曾被判有罪? -反对 |
[18:35] | Whether he has a record, I think, | 我认为,他是否有犯罪记录 |
[18:37] | -speaks to his fitness as a parent. -I’ll allow it. | -可以为他是否适合做个父亲提供佐证 -我允许发问 |
[18:39] | Ever been convicted of anything, sir? | 你可曾被判有罪?先生 |
[18:43] | Let’s make it easy. | 让我们简单点吧 |
[18:44] | Ever been convicted in the last year? | 你去年被判过罪吗? |
[18:47] | Yes. | 是的 |
[18:48] | -Drugs? -Possession of marijuana. | -毒品? -持有大麻 |
[18:50] | -Are you a pothead, sir? -No, I’m not. | -先生,你是个瘾君子吗? -不,我没瘾 |
[18:53] | -But you smoke dope. -I have used it recreationally | -但你你吸食毒品 -我就是图个娱乐 |
[18:55] | very occasionally. | 很偶尔 |
[18:57] | But you’ve probably changed your mind | 但你可能对此会改变主意,对吧? |
[18:59] | about that now, right? | 但你可能对此会改变主意,对吧? |
[19:07] | It wasn’t her, | 不是她, |
[19:09] | so wherever she is, she’s still got both kidneys. | 不管她在哪儿,她还是两肾俱在。 |
[19:13] | Not a funny joke. | 这笑话挺没趣儿的 |
[19:15] | May I ask a question? Has this happened before? | 我能问个问题吗?以前发生过这样的事吗? |
[19:17] | Not often, but it has happened. | 不经常,但发生过 |
[19:20] | We’re searching radiology. | 我们正在查放射科 |
[19:22] | After that, we’re going through every floor, every room. | 然后,我们会查遍每个楼层,每个房间 |
[19:24] | Who took her? | 谁接她的? |
[19:26] | Somebody had to wheel her out of the CAT scan. | 总得有人用轮椅把她从CAT扫描室接出来 |
[19:28] | Yes, the escort who was to bring Rebecca back to the ICU | 是的,接Rebecca回重症监护室的医护人员中午就下班了 |
[19:31] | finished work at noon. | 是的,接Rebecca回重症监护室的医护人员中午就下班了 |
[19:33] | We haven’t been able to find him, either. | 我们也没有联系到他 |
[19:35] | He’s not at home and he doesn’t have a cell. | 他不在家,而没有手机 |
[19:38] | Look, obviously I can’t excuse this. | 听着,显然我不能把这当借口 |
[19:41] | All I can say… | 我能说的是。。。 |
[19:42] | I know she’s somewhere in the building, | 我们知道她还在大楼里 |
[19:44] | and we’ll find her. | 我们会找到她的 |
[19:49] | (babies crying) | |
[20:12] | Is nothing beneath you? | 你做人还有下限吗? |
[20:15] | Sir, you’re represented by counsel. You– | 先生,你是有律师代理的,你。。。 |
[20:17] | We have been, maybe, best friends | 我们也许是我们成年时期中最好的朋友 |
[20:19] | most of our adult lives, | 我们也许是我们成年时期中最好的朋友 |
[20:21] | and you attack me like that for what– Legal strategy? | 而你那样攻击我到底为了什么。。。法律上的策略? |
[20:26] | You think that was legal strategy? | 你认为这是法律上的策略吗? |
[20:29] | I’m protecting my daughter. | 我在保护我的女儿。 |
[20:45] | Well, your turn comes next. | 好吧,接下来轮到你了 |
[21:10] | Case number 3216, | 案件号3216 |
[21:12] | Commonwealth v. Bruce Wilson, | 马萨诸塞州诉Bruce Wilson |
[21:14] | rape of a minor under the age of 12. | 强奸12岁以下未成年人 |
[21:16] | Joshua Pashman for the defense, Your Honor. | 法官大人,Joshua Pashman为被告辩护 |
[21:18] | We waive reading. We’d be seeking personal recognizance. | 放弃宣读指控,我们请求具结保释 |
[21:21] | -Opposed. -My client has strong roots in this community. | -反对 -我的客户在这个社区有很深的联系。 |
[21:23] | No job, lives in a housing project. | 无业,住在一个政府安置房内 |
[21:25] | We consider him dangerous as well as a flight risk. | 我们认为他具有危险性且有逃离风险 |
[21:28] | Bail is denied. | 拒绝保释 |
[21:30] | Move for a probable cause. | 辩方就合理依据提出审核动议 |
[21:31] | Tomorrow morning, 10:00. | 明早十点进行审核 |
[21:32] | Your Honor, I haven’t yet spoke with our witness– | 法官大人,我还没有我方证人进行沟通。。。 |
[21:34] | Then why are you filing charges? | 那你为什么要提出指控? |
[21:38] | Confer with your witness | 和你的证人商量一下 |
[21:39] | and we’ll see you back here tomorrow. | 明早来这里。 |
[21:41] | (gavel pounds) | |
[21:48] | Ms. Gamble, I’m Amanda’s father. | Gamble女士,我是Amanda的父亲 |
[21:51] | Oh. | 哦 |
[21:52] | I’m very sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[21:55] | What’s going to happen? | 接下来会怎么样? |
[21:56] | Well, we have a probable cause hearing, | 呃,会有一个合理依据的听证会 |
[21:59] | so I need to find the woman who witnessed– | 所以我需要找那个看见事发经过的女人。。。 |
[22:01] | She’s right there. | 她就在这儿。 |
[22:09] | Michael and I have been friends for a long time. | Michael和我做朋友很长时间了 |
[22:12] | I chose him as a donor because I liked him, | 我选择他作为捐赠者是因为我喜欢他, |
[22:14] | for genetic reasons, and most of all, | 不只是因为遗传基因,更重要的是 |
[22:17] | because I trusted him on his word. | 因为我相信他的承诺 |
[22:19] | But you don’t want him as a coparent? | 但你不想让他作为共责家长? |
[22:22] | That’s why we signed this agreement. | 那就是为什么我们签了那个协议。 |
[22:25] | Could you tell me your main objection? | 你能告诉我你的主要反对意见吗? |
[22:27] | I don’t believe I need a man in my life | 我不认为在我抚养一个健康快乐的女儿的生活中需要一个男人 |
[22:30] | to raise a happy healthy daughter. | 我不认为在我抚养一个健康快乐的女儿的生活中需要一个男人 |
[22:32] | There are a lot of single mothers today | 现今有很多单亲母亲 |
[22:35] | who are doing whatever it takes to fulfill | 她们正在做任何履行她们作为家长的职责的事 |
[22:38] | their responsibilities as a parent. | 她们正在做任何履行她们作为家长的职责的事 |
[22:40] | Moreover, | 此外, |
[22:42] | if I were sharing those responsibilities | 即使我要和一个男人分担这些责任的话 |
[22:44] | with a man, | 即使我要和一个男人分担这些责任的话 |
[22:46] | I never would have chosen Michael Hale. | 我也绝不会选择Michael Hale |
[22:48] | Why don’t you want him to participate? | 你为什么不想他参与进来? |
[22:51] | Because I’m not in love with him, | 因为我并不爱他 |
[22:54] | and he doesn’t love me, and now… | 况且他也不爱我,而现在。。。 |
[22:57] | I don’t trust him. | 我也不再信任他了 |
[22:58] | I got pregnant– I changed my life– | 我怀了孕,我改变了我的生活。。。 |
[23:02] | Based on promises he broke, | 这都是基于他所违背的那个承诺 |
[23:04] | and if we were forced together as coparents, | 即使我们强行在一起共同承担家长的责任, |
[23:08] | our entire relationship would be grounded in betrayal, | 由于我们的关系是以背叛为基础的 |
[23:12] | and that mistrust would most definitely harm this child. | 而这种不信任肯定会伤害到这个孩子 |
[23:16] | But is it better for the child | 但是,和父亲断绝联系对于这个孩子会有好处吗? |
[23:18] | to lose contact with her father? | 但是,和父亲断绝联系对于这个孩子会有好处吗? |
[23:20] | In this case, yes. | 在这种情况下,是的 |
[23:22] | It would be better for my daughter | 对于我的女儿来说,拥有一个充满爱心的家长要比 |
[23:24] | to have one loving parent | 对于我的女儿来说,拥有一个充满爱心的家长要比 |
[23:26] | than to be thrown into a situation | 陷入一个已经是充满紧张和激烈争吵的环境中来得更好些 |
[23:28] | that is already filled with tension and acrimony. | 陷入一个已经是充满紧张和激烈争吵的环境中来得更好些 |
[23:31] | Are you suggesting Mr. Hale is unfit to be a father? | 你是在暗示说Hale先生不适合做个父亲吗? |
[23:35] | How can I trust him to? | 我怎么会相信他适合呢? |
[23:37] | Look at his history. | 看看他的过往。 |
[23:39] | Look at how he has behaved here. | 看看他在这里的表现 |
[23:42] | This is as irresponsible as it is arbitrary. | 既是不负责任也是随心所欲的 |
[23:45] | I am eight months pregnant. I’m in court. | 我怀了八个月身孕,我还要出庭 |
[23:48] | He has put me under stress, put the baby under stress, | 他给我和胎儿都施加了巨大的压力 |
[23:51] | all on his sudden whim that he wants to be involved. | 全都是因为他一时兴起想参与进来。 |
[23:56] | Well, if you agreed to let him parent, | 不过,如果你同意让他当家长 |
[23:59] | you wouldn’t be in court. | 你也就不会出庭了 |
[24:00] | Your Honor, he may be well-intentioned, | 法官大人,他也许出于好心 |
[24:02] | but what’s his real motivation? | 但是他的真实意图是什么? |
[24:05] | Who’s to say this isn’t about guilt | 谁能说这不是他出于抛弃儿子的内疚和出于自我救赎的目的, |
[24:08] | over abandoning his son, | 谁能说这不是他出于抛弃儿子的内疚和出于自我救赎的目的, |
[24:09] | about redemption, about himself, | 而是出于任何真正想当父亲的愿望呢? |
[24:12] | rather than any real desire to be a father? | 而是出于任何真正想当父亲的愿望呢? |
[24:17] | So you don’t need a man to help you raise a child. | 那么说你不需要一个男人帮你抚养孩子, |
[24:20] | Are you currently with a man, Ms. Frutt? | 你现在有男友吗,Frutt女士? |
[24:23] | No. | 没有, |
[24:25] | If you were currently involved with a man, | 如果你现在交了男友, |
[24:27] | would you still be having a child | 你仍然会作为一个单亲母亲抚养孩子吗? |
[24:28] | as a single parent? | 你仍然会作为一个单亲母亲抚养孩子吗? |
[24:29] | I don’t know, Ms. Garrett. | 我不知道,Garrett女士 |
[24:31] | If I were sharing my life with a man, | 如果我和一个男人共度一生, |
[24:33] | I would likely expect him to be a part of this decision, | 我很可能会和他共同做这个决定。 |
[24:35] | but I was not involved with anybody | 但我在签订那个合同的时候没有和别人在交往 |
[24:38] | at the time that I made this contract. | 但我在签订那个合同的时候没有和别人在交往 |
[24:40] | I was not involved with your client, | 我既和你的当事人没有交往 |
[24:42] | nor am I involved with anybody now. | 现在也没有和别的什么人在交往。 |
[24:44] | I would never have chosen to have a child with him. | 我永远也不会选择和他一起生个孩子 |
[24:47] | Ms. Frutt, if you were convinced | Frutt女士,如果你被说服相信Hale先生实际上是个模范父亲 |
[24:50] | that Mr. Hale would, in fact, be a model father, | Frutt女士,如果你被说服相信Hale先生实际上是个模范父亲 |
[24:53] | would you change your position? | 你会改变你的立场吗? |
[24:55] | No… | 不会。。。 |
[24:58] | because I’m not in love with him, | 因为我不爱他 |
[25:00] | and I never– | 并且我永远。。。 |
[25:02] | I understand, but let’s be fair. | 我理解你的意思,但让我们平心而论 |
[25:05] | Then you are talking about what you want, | 你谈的是你的愿望但不见得是对孩子最有益的。 |
[25:08] | not necessarily the best interests of the child. | 你谈的是你的愿望但不见得是对孩子最有益的。 |
[25:11] | I don’t accept that, Your Honor, | 法官大人,我不认可这一点 |
[25:13] | because I don’t accept your hypothetical | 因为我不认可你关于他可能是个模范父亲的假设 |
[25:15] | that he could ever be a model parent. | 因为我不认可你关于他可能是个模范父亲的假设 |
[25:17] | You consider yourself an authority on parenthood? | 你觉得你自己在亲子关系方面有权威性吗? |
[25:21] | I consider myself an authority on my child. | 我认为自己在我孩子的问题上有权威性 |
[25:23] | Are you aware of studies, | 你了解于此有关的研究吗? |
[25:25] | including one from the U. S. justice department, | 包括一份来自美国司法部的报告显示单亲家庭的孩子 |
[25:27] | that show children from single-parent homes | 包括一份来自美国司法部的报告显示单亲家庭的孩子 |
[25:30] | are more likely to drop out of school, | 更可能会辍学, |
[25:32] | more likely to commit crimes– | 更可能会犯罪。。。 |
[25:34] | Most of those studies | 大多数这样的研究都是针对贫困家庭的 |
[25:36] | are pertaining to impoverished families. | 大多数这样的研究都是针对贫困家庭的 |
[25:37] | I have financial means. | 而我是有财力的 |
[25:39] | Yes, because you work. Plan to continue working? | 没错,因为你有工作,打算继续工作吗? |
[25:41] | Yes. | 是的 |
[25:43] | When do you plan to go back to work, Ms. Frutt? | 你打算什么时候回去工作?Frutt女士 |
[25:46] | I’m not sure. | 我说不好 |
[25:47] | Within three years? | 三年内? |
[25:49] | Yes. | 是的 |
[25:51] | Are you aware of the studies showing | 那你是否了解研究表明 |
[25:53] | that the child’s attachment to the working mother | 孩子们对于在职母亲的依恋会被严重地伤害。。。 |
[25:55] | can be significantly harmed– | 孩子们对于在职母亲的依恋会被严重地伤害。。。 |
[25:57] | I’m aware of the studies that reject that position. | 我了解到也有对此持否定观点的研究报告 |
[25:58] | Some even say a child can benefit | 有些甚至称孩子会受益于日托的经历 |
[26:01] | from their experiences at day care. | 有些甚至称孩子会受益于日托的经历 |
[26:03] | Do you plan to put the child in day care? | 你打算把孩子日托吗? |
[26:05] | I will not be cross-examined on whether or not– | 在交叉盘问时不应该问我这类选择性的问题。。。 |
[26:07] | Ms. Frutt, if you go back to work full-time, | Frutt女士,如果你重新去做全职工作 |
[26:10] | you won’t be the only primary caregiver. | 你将不能作为孩子的主要看护者 |
[26:13] | Who will help you? | 谁来帮助你? |
[26:15] | I plan to hire. | 我打算雇一个 |
[26:16] | You haven’t yet? | 你还没有雇人吗? |
[26:18] | No, because I haven’t needed to yet. | 没有,因为还不需要 |
[26:21] | So we don’t know | 那么我们不知道 |
[26:23] | who this other primary caregiver will be. | 谁会来做主要的看护者 |
[26:25] | You just don’t want it to be her father. | 你只是不希望那是他的父亲 |
[26:27] | He is not the father. He is a sperm donor. | 他不是父亲,他是一个精子捐献者。 |
[26:30] | Okay. Are you aware | 好吧,你了解美国教育部的报告 |
[26:32] | of the U. S. Department of Education report | 好吧,你了解美国教育部的报告 |
[26:34] | that says children do better in schools | 称孩子们会因父亲的关爱而在学校表现得更好吗? |
[26:36] | when their fathers are involved? | 称孩子们会因父亲的关爱而在学校表现得更好吗? |
[26:38] | Well, I would be very surprised | 好吧,如果这个报告也包括了那些长期不在家的父亲 |
[26:40] | if that study embraced nonresident fathers. | 我会感到非常惊讶的。 |
[26:42] | Well, it did, but my question was | 呃,那倒是的,但我问的是 |
[26:44] | did you even read the study? | 你读到过这些研究报告吗? |
[26:46] | No. | 没有 |
[26:48] | So what studies on single parenting | 那么在你决定做一个单身母亲前 |
[26:50] | did you rely on | 你信赖哪些有关单亲家庭的报告? |
[26:52] | before deciding to become a single mother? | 你信赖哪些有关单亲家庭的报告? |
[26:54] | Are you aware, for example, | 你了解吗,比如说, |
[26:57] | that single-parent children | 单亲家庭的孩子 |
[26:58] | are more likely to be antisocial, | 更可能会是不善于社交的 |
[27:00] | more likely to suffer | 更容易患上焦虑,抑郁,多动症, |
[27:02] | from anxiety, depression, hyperactivity, | 更容易患上焦虑,抑郁,多动症, |
[27:04] | are more likely to need psychiatric care, | 更可能需要精神护理 |
[27:07] | are more likely to commit suicide as a teenager, | 更可能在青春期发生自杀行为 |
[27:09] | more likely to drop out of school– | 更可能会辍学。。。 |
[27:11] | More likely than who– | 比谁更有可能。。。 |
[27:13] | Children of married, intact parents? | 是和那些婚姻完满的夫妻的孩子相比吗? |
[27:15] | What about divorced parents? Are their children more– | 那么那些父母离异家庭呢?他们的孩子更。。。 |
[27:18] | So you are an authority. | 那你是这方面的权威吧 |
[27:20] | Do you know the statistics, Ms. Frutt? | 你知道统计数字吗,Frutt女士? |
[27:23] | I know all the risks, Ms. Garrett. | 我了解所有的风险,Garrett女士 |
[27:27] | And you simply decided to assume them | 而你就替你女儿做了决定去承担这些风险 |
[27:29] | on behalf of your daughter, in her best interests? | 这样对她最好吗? |
[27:31] | Objection. This is badgering now. | 反对,纠缠证人 |
[27:32] | It is no such thing. | 不是这样的 |
[27:34] | I am merely trying to ascertain | 我只不过是想确认一下 |
[27:35] | whether the witness knows of these studies, | 证人是否了解这些研究报告 |
[27:38] | knows of these statistics, as she boldly claims | 如她大胆所言那样了解统计数据、 |
[27:40] | she knows what’s best for her daughter. | 了解什么对她女儿最好 |
[27:43] | I know I am not a statistic fighting to survive. | 我知道我不在那些为生存而拼搏的统计数字中 |
[27:46] | I have choices, | 我有选择的余地 |
[27:48] | and I know my daughter would be better off | 而且我知道没有你的当事人来共同抚养的话, |
[27:51] | without your client as a coparent. | 我的女儿会过得更好 |
[27:54] | Because you make no room | 因为你没有考虑他会有所改变的可能 |
[27:56] | for the possibility that he can change. | 因为你没有考虑他会有所改变的可能 |
[27:58] | And you don’t want to give him | 而且你不想给他以改变的机会,是吗,Frutt女士? |
[28:00] | the chance to change, do you, Ms. Frutt? | 而且你不想给他以改变的机会,是吗,Frutt女士? |
[28:01] | Because it’s not what you want. | 因为你不希望那样 |
[28:04] | Please say it for the record | 请承认并记录在案吧 |
[28:07] | because one day, | 因为会有一天,你的女儿也许想读到这一条 |
[28:08] | your daughter may want to read it. | 因为会有一天,你的女儿也许想读到这一条 |
[28:27] | Well, hello there. | 噢,你好啊 |
[28:29] | Where am I? | 我在哪儿? |
[28:32] | Not Las Vegas, tell you that. | 跟你说吧,不是拉斯维加斯哦 |
[28:34] | What happened? | 怎么回事? |
[28:36] | What happened? | 怎么回事? |
[28:39] | You need to ask what happened? | 你怎么会问发生了什么? |
[28:40] | You had a baby. | 你生了个小孩呀 |
[28:42] | What do you mean, I had a baby? | 我生了小孩,你什么意思呀? |
[28:45] | You had a little baby girl. | 你生了一个小女孩 |
[28:47] | Seven pounds, two ounces. | 七磅两盎司 |
[28:49] | A beautiful little baby. | 非常漂亮的小宝贝 |
[28:51] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? |
[28:53] | Maybe you better lie back down. | 你最好躺回去 |
[28:55] | No, you lie back down. I didn’t have a baby. | 不,你才躺回去呢,我没生孩子。 |
[28:57] | I was blown up. That’s what I was. | 我挨了炸,就这么回事。 |
[28:59] | What’s wrong? | 有什么问题吗? |
[29:01] | Says she didn’t have a baby, she was blown up. | 她说她没生孩子,她是被炸了 |
[29:05] | I know how you feel. | 我明白你的感受。 |
[29:06] | My first child, until they gave me the epidural– | 我第一个孩子,直到他们给我硬膜外麻醉。。。 |
[29:09] | I didn’t have a baby. What’s wrong with you people? | 我没有生孩子,你们这些人有毛病吧? |
[29:11] | Can I get a phone? I did not have a baby. | 我能打个电话吗?我没生孩子 |
[29:14] | Can we make a call for you? | 我们能帮你打吗? |
[29:15] | Yes, Bobby Donnell. 753– | 可以,Bobby Donnell,753。。。 |
[29:17] | I know Bobby Donnell. | 我知道Bobby Donnell |
[29:18] | He had a baby, too. | 他也有了个小孩 |
[29:22] | Where the hell am I? | 我到底在哪儿呀? |
[29:23] | Is this some rubber room or something? | 这是精神病院的橡胶房还是别的什么地方呀? |
[29:25] | I was blown up. I didn’t have a baby. | 我是挨炸了,我没有生孩子 |
[29:28] | Roberta, you need to calm down. | Roberta,你需要平静下来 |
[29:30] | My name is not Roberta. It’s Rebecca. | 我不是Roberta,我是Rebecca |
[29:32] | I was never pregnant. I didn’t have a baby. | 我没有怀孕,我没有生孩子 |
[29:34] | I never had a baby. I don’t want a baby. | 我没有生孩子,我也不想要孩子 |
[29:37] | Can you get that through your baby-happy head? | 你那婴儿乐的脑袋瓜能弄明白吗? |
[29:39] | Yes, you were blown up. | 好吧,你挨炸了 |
[29:41] | This is the missing patient. | 这是那个失踪的患者 |
[29:43] | Your name is Rebecca? | 你的名字是Rebecca? |
[29:45] | Yes. Single, without child. | 是的,单身,没有孩子 |
[29:49] | This is the missing patient. | 这就是失踪的患者 |
[30:05] | And after he ran off, | 他跑了之后, |
[30:08] | I took her and her father to the hospital. | 我带她和她的父亲去医院 |
[30:12] | Are you sure about the man you saw? | 你能肯定是你看到的那个男人吗? |
[30:15] | Yes. | 是的 |
[30:16] | He lives in the building. | 他就住在楼里, |
[30:19] | I know who he is. | 我知道他是谁 |
[30:21] | Ms. Tritter, I smell alcohol. | Tritter女士,我闻到了酒精味 |
[30:24] | Have you been drinking? | 你喝酒了吗? |
[30:26] | I’ve had a few beers. | 我喝了点啤酒 |
[30:29] | It’s been a day. | 已经过一天了 |
[30:32] | At the time you saw the rape, were you drinking then? | 你看到那起强奸时,你喝酒了吗? |
[30:34] | Two beers. | 两瓶啤酒 |
[30:37] | Our probable cause hearing is at 10:00 A. M. tomorrow. | 我们的合理依据听证会在明天早上十点 |
[30:42] | I’d prefer you not drink before that. | 我更希望你在那之前不要喝酒 |
[30:45] | Okay. | 好的 |
[30:56] | Rebecca! | Rebecca! |
[30:57] | Mom. | 妈妈 |
[30:59] | -Are you all right? -I don’t know. | -你没事吧? -我不知道 |
[31:02] | Everybody keeps telling me I had a baby | 每个人都说我生了孩子,而且Bobby也有了孩子, |
[31:04] | and that Bobby had a baby. I don’t know what’s going on. | 我不知道怎么回事 |
[31:06] | There was a Roberta Washington who checked out. | 有一个叫Roberta Washington的出院了 |
[31:08] | Rebecca, I’m Dr. Emmerick. | Rebecca,我是Emmerick医生 |
[31:10] | Can I just look in your eyes for a second? | 我能检查一下你的眼睛吗? |
[31:12] | It’s a miracle. | 真是个奇迹 |
[31:14] | What happened? | 怎么回事? |
[31:15] | I mean, I remember some explosion, | 我是说,我记得爆炸了 |
[31:18] | and then these wackos keep telling me | 然后就是这些疯子们一直跟我说 |
[31:20] | everybody’s having babies. | 每个人都有小孩了 |
[31:22] | Bec, Lindsay and I did have a baby. | Bec,Lindsay和我有了小孩了 |
[31:25] | A little boy. Robert Gordon Donnell. | 小男孩,Robert Gordon Donnell |
[31:28] | You had a baby? | 你有小孩了? |
[31:30] | Yeah. | 是呀 |
[31:34] | Did I? | 那我呢? |
[31:41] | How’s it going? | 怎么样? |
[31:44] | Well… | 呃。。。 |
[31:47] | I’m studying up. | 我在做些研究 |
[31:49] | I’ll be ready. | 我准备好了 |
[31:53] | Am I being selfish? | 是我自私吗? |
[31:57] | No. | 不是 |
[31:58] | What’s best for that baby? | 对那个婴儿最好的是什么? |
[32:04] | Not him. | 不是他 |
[32:05] | Then that’s the answer, period. | 那就是最终的答案。 |
[32:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[32:17] | I’ll be ready, Ellenor. | 我会准备好的,Ellenor |
[32:19] | We ain’t losing this. | 我们不会输掉的 |
[32:23] | Okay. | 好的 |
[32:26] | Okay. | 好的 |
[32:48] | And when I looked down from the window, | 当我从窗户往下看去 |
[32:50] | that’s when I saw him. | 我看见了他 |
[32:52] | Him being… | 他正在。。。 |
[32:53] | That man. He was raping the girl. | 那个人,他在强奸那个女孩子 |
[32:58] | Are you sure it was him? | 你能肯定是他吗? |
[33:00] | Positive. | 能肯定 |
[33:01] | Thank you, Ms. Tritter. | 谢谢你,Tritter女士 |
[33:06] | No questions. | 没有要问的 |
[33:09] | You can step down, ma’am. | 你能退席了,夫人 |
[33:12] | Ms. Gamble, it’s thin, | Gamble女士,这有些不充分 |
[33:14] | but I’m finding probable cause. | 但我裁决具有合理依据 |
[33:16] | The defendant is bound over for trial, | 被告拘押候审 |
[33:18] | and trial is scheduled for march 12th. | 三月12日开始庭审 |
[33:21] | Defendant goes back into custody. | 将被告收押 |
[33:23] | -We’re adjourned. -(gavel pounds) | -休庭 |
[33:25] | Ms. Gamble… | Gamble女士。。。 |
[33:28] | Can I talk to you? | 我可以和你谈谈吗? |
[33:29] | Sure. | 当然 |
[33:34] | Um… | 唔。。。 |
[33:36] | will my drinking have to come up at the trial? | 我喝酒的事一定要在庭审的时候提及吗? |
[33:38] | Yes, Ms. Tritter. | 是的,Tritter女士 |
[33:40] | You can call me Michelle. | 你可以称我为Michelle。 |
[33:42] | Michelle, it will definitely come up at trial. | Michelle,这肯定会在庭审时提及的 |
[33:45] | The defendant’s lawyer is going to try | 被告的律师会试图用酗酒来质疑你的可信度 |
[33:48] | to discredit you with your drinking. | 被告的律师会试图用酗酒来质疑你的可信度 |
[33:50] | I’ve seen stuff on the news about this already. | 我已经在新闻上看到了关于这件事的报道 |
[33:54] | I just recently met a guy, | 我最近刚谈朋友 |
[33:56] | and I’m also trying to get a job, you know? | 而且我也在找工作,你知道吧? |
[33:59] | If he makes me out this big alcoholic… | 如果他把我说成一个大酒鬼。。。 |
[34:01] | listen, I won’t lie to you. | 听着,我不想骗你。 |
[34:03] | It’ll be rough. | 这确实会很不好受 |
[34:05] | You’re basically our entire case. | 总的来说,我们这案子全靠你了 |
[34:07] | What about the girl? | 那个女孩呢? |
[34:09] | Well, she’s not in the best emotional shape right now. | 她现在的精神状态不佳 |
[34:14] | I really need you, Michelle. | 我真的需要你,Michelle |
[34:18] | Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[34:30] | There is simply no basis whatsoever | 根本没有任何依据拒绝Michael hale获得一些有限的监护权 |
[34:33] | for denying Michael hale some limited custody. | 根本没有任何依据拒绝Michael hale获得一些有限的监护权 |
[34:37] | Every study has shown undeniably, | 不可否认的是,每项研究都表明 |
[34:40] | the child’s psychological well-being | 和父亲的联系对孩子的心理健康最为有利 |
[34:43] | is best served with a connection to the father. | 和父亲的联系对孩子的心理健康最为有利 |
[34:46] | For young children, | 对于幼儿,这影响其认知的发展, |
[34:47] | it affects cognitive development, | 对于幼儿,这影响其认知的发展、 |
[34:49] | social competence, the ability to trust. | 社交能力、信任能力 |
[34:53] | Some studies have even linked | 一些研究甚至把孩子的高智商和父亲的关爱联系起来 |
[34:56] | the father’s involvement to a higher I. Q. | 一些研究甚至把孩子的高智商和父亲的关爱联系起来 |
[34:59] | Paternal involvement during middle childhood | 父亲在孩子童年时期的关爱 |
[35:02] | has been known to have a positive effect | 对孩子在学校取得好成绩有着众所周知的积极影响 |
[35:05] | on school success. | 对孩子在学校取得好成绩有着众所周知的积极影响 |
[35:07] | Your Honor, these studies are as sobering | 法官大人,这些研究的一致性是发人深省的 |
[35:10] | as they are unanimous. | 法官大人,这些研究的一致性是发人深省的 |
[35:12] | Fatherless kids are more susceptible to depression, | 没有父亲的孩子更容易患抑郁症, |
[35:16] | more likely to commit crimes, to drop out of school, | 更有可能产生犯罪、辍学和自杀行为 |
[35:20] | to commit suicide, | 更有可能产生犯罪、辍学和自杀行为 |
[35:22] | 11 times more likely to be violent, | 暴力行为的可能性达到十一倍 |
[35:25] | more likely to abuse drugs. | 更可能滥用药物。 |
[35:28] | Does this mean a single mother | 这意味着单亲母亲就不能成功地抚养一个孩子吗? |
[35:31] | can’t successfully raise a child? | 这意味着单亲母亲就不能成功地抚养一个孩子吗? |
[35:34] | Of course not. It happens a lot. | 当然不是,有很多是成功的 |
[35:37] | And to be fair, | 公平地说, |
[35:39] | studies also show that parental conflict | 研究也表明父母的冲突能产生负面的影响 |
[35:42] | can have a negative impact. | 研究也表明父母的冲突能产生负面的影响 |
[35:44] | But the likelihood | 但很可能的是保持和父亲的联系对孩子会更好 |
[35:46] | is that this child will be better off | 但很可能的是保持和父亲的联系对孩子会更好 |
[35:49] | with a connection to her dad. | 但很可能的是保持和父亲的联系对孩子会更好 |
[35:52] | All we’re asking for | 我们所要求的只是允许他参与进来 |
[35:54] | is that he be allowed to be involved. | 我们所要求的只是允许他参与进来 |
[35:57] | With virtually every study, every child psychologist | 几乎所有的研究结果,所有的儿童心理学家 |
[36:01] | concurring that this is in the best interests | 一致意见是这是对孩子最有利的 |
[36:04] | of the child, | 一致意见是这是对孩子最有利的 |
[36:06] | how can Ms. Frutt say no? | Frutt女士怎么能否认呢? |
[36:08] | How can she not be willing | 她怎么能不愿意只是给Michael hale一个机会呢? |
[36:10] | to even give Michael hale a chance? | 她怎么能不愿意只是给Michael hale一个机会呢? |
[36:13] | If he’s willing to adjust his work, | 如果他愿意调整他的工作、 |
[36:16] | to change his lifestyle– | 改变他的生活方式。。。 |
[36:18] | If he’s matured | 如果他成熟了 |
[36:20] | and he’s ready to accept responsibility. | 而且他准备去承担责任 |
[36:23] | Ellenor Frutt doesn’t want to give him that chance | Ellenor Frutt不想给他这个机会 |
[36:27] | because she wants to maintain complete control over that baby, | 因为她想完全控制那个孩子 |
[36:32] | and even if Michael hale were the perfect father, | 即使Michael hale是个完美的父亲, |
[36:36] | she would hold fast to that position. | 她也会坚持这个立场。 |
[36:39] | That is a selfish position. | 这是一个自私的立场 |
[36:42] | It has absolutely nothing to do | 对这个孩子没有一点好处 |
[36:45] | with the best interests of this baby. | 对这个孩子没有一点好处 |
[36:58] | Ellenor. | |
[36:59] | I want to respond. | 我想就此做出回应。 |
[37:01] | -Let me. -Jimmy, I want– | -让我来 -Jimmy,我想。。。 |
[37:02] | Ellenor, sit. | Ellenor,坐下 |
[37:16] | I read all those studies, | 我读了所有那些研究报告, |
[37:18] | I spoke with several experts, | 我和几个专家也谈过了 |
[37:20] | and Ms. Garrett’s right. | Garrett女士是对的, |
[37:22] | Better the child have some connection to her father, | 孩子最好和她父亲有一定的联系 |
[37:26] | better he be involved in her life | 从一开始就拥有他的关爱也会更有益处 |
[37:28] | right from the start. | 从一开始就拥有他的关爱也会更有益处 |
[37:30] | That’s the best-case scenario, | 这是最佳的方案。 |
[37:32] | but that scenario wasn’t available to Ellenor Frutt. | 但这个方案并对Ellenor Frutt并不适用。 |
[37:36] | She wasn’t with a man. | 她没有交男友, |
[37:38] | She decided she wanted to be a single parent, | 她决意想做一个单亲母亲 |
[37:40] | so she went to a friend | 所以她去找了一个朋友 |
[37:42] | and asked him to be a donor. | 请他捐献精子 |
[37:45] | She never would have done so | 如果是他要作为家长参与进来的话,她绝对不会这么做的。 |
[37:47] | had there been a condition of his parental involvement. | 如果是他要作为家长参与进来的话,她绝对不会这么做的。 |
[37:50] | Never. | 绝不会的 |
[37:51] | All these studies– | 所有这些研究报告。。。 |
[37:54] | None of them apply to this particular situation. | 没有一个是适用于这种特殊情况的 |
[37:58] | As for the best interests of this particular child, | 至于具体到这个孩子的最佳利益 |
[38:02] | yes, we maintain she is better off | 没错,我们坚持认为Ellenor作为单亲母亲对她较好 |
[38:04] | with Ellenor acting as a single parent, | 没错,我们坚持认为Ellenor作为单亲母亲对她较好 |
[38:07] | better off without Mr. Hale. | Hale先生不介入对她较好 |
[38:09] | He failed with his son, | 他没有处理好他儿子的问题 |
[38:11] | he’s never exercised any real degree | 在有关成熟度和责任感方面他从来没有经过任何考验 |
[38:14] | of maturity or responsibility. | 在有关成熟度和责任感方面他从来没有经过任何考验 |
[38:16] | There are plenty of studies to show | 大量的研究报告显示 |
[38:19] | the damage caused to a child | 当一对夫妇感情破裂而分离会对孩子造成伤害 |
[38:21] | when a bond is broken once a parent takes off. | 当一对夫妇感情破裂而分离会对孩子造成伤害 |
[38:25] | We maintain it’s a risk | 我们坚持认为让这个孩子对Hale先生产生依恋 |
[38:27] | letting this baby become emotionally attached | 我们坚持认为让这个孩子对Hale先生产生依恋 |
[38:31] | to Mr. Hale. | 是一种风险 |
[38:33] | Ms. Garrett says, “Why not try? | Garrett女士说, |
[38:35] | Let’s just see. What’s the harm?” | “为什么不试试?就让我们看看有什么坏处?” |
[38:38] | Well, it does do harm in failure. | 试不成功就会有坏处。 |
[38:41] | There are studies to show that. | 研究报告显示, |
[38:44] | Ellenor Frutt is the only person | Ellenor Frutt是唯一可以被信任能给孩子带来幸福的人 |
[38:47] | who can be trusted with this child’s welfare. | Ellenor Frutt是唯一可以被信任能给孩子带来幸福的人 |
[38:50] | She’s the only one who’s earned that trust. | 她也是唯一能获得这种信任的 |
[38:53] | We don’t let sperm donors | 我们不允许让遍布全国的精子银行的捐献者们。。。 |
[38:55] | from sperm banks across the country– | 我们不允许让遍布全国的精子银行的捐献者们。。。 |
[38:57] | We don’t let them change their minds, | 我们不允许他们变更初衷, |
[39:00] | start requesting DNA tests | 通过申请DNA测试查出他们的子嗣 |
[39:02] | so they can track down their offspring | 通过申请DNA测试查出他们的子嗣 |
[39:05] | and insert themselves into the kids’ lives. | 并使自己融入这些孩子的生活中。 |
[39:08] | He’s looking for special treatment | 他希望得到特别的待遇 |
[39:10] | just because he knows where his sperm went. | 只是因为他知道他的精子的去向 |
[39:13] | A deal was made. | 已经达成了协议 |
[39:14] | Michael hale has made no demonstration | Michael hale的过去和现在的行为不能证明 |
[39:17] | with his past or present behavior | Michael hale的过去和现在的行为不能证明 |
[39:20] | that his involvement as a parent | 他以一个家长的身份参与进来 |
[39:22] | would run to the benefit of this child. | 会有益于这个孩子 |
[39:25] | Accordingly, I would ask the court | 因此,我恳请法庭 |
[39:29] | not to overturn the rights of my client | 不要撤销我的当事人的权力。 |
[39:33] | pursuant to this valid, legally enforceable contract. | 根据这个有效的、法律上可强制执行的合同。 |
[39:48] | Why can’t it just be over? | 为什么就不能让这事过去呢? |
[39:50] | I want it to be over. | 我希望这事过去吧 |
[39:52] | Oh, honey. | 哦,宝贝。 |
[39:53] | All they need is for you to testify | 我们需要的就是你来作证 |
[39:55] | as to what happened and who did it. | 发生了什么和是谁干的。 |
[39:59] | Please, Daddy. | 求求你,爸爸。 |
[40:01] | Look, we don’t have to talk about this right now. | 听着,我们现在不必谈论这个。 |
[40:04] | (door opens) | |
[40:05] | Hey. How’s it going? | 嗨,怎么样? |
[40:08] | You tell us. | 你说呢。 |
[40:10] | Could I talk to you outside for a second? | 我能和你出去谈一下吗? |
[40:13] | All I have is an eyewitness | 我们只有一个离现场距离很远的目击证人 |
[40:15] | from a considerable distance | 我们只有一个离现场距离很远的目击证人 |
[40:17] | who was probably under the influence. | 她可能还喝了酒 |
[40:19] | Even with your daughter testifying, I– | 即使你的女儿出庭作证,我。。。 |
[40:23] | She’s easily shakable, Mr. McGowan. | McGowan先生,她很容易动摇。 |
[40:26] | What are you telling me? | 你在跟我说什么? |
[40:27] | It doesn’t look good. | 看起来不妙 |
[40:30] | He lives in our building. | 他跟我们住在一个大楼里, |
[40:36] | You have to get him, Ms. Gamble. | 你必须要搞定他,Gamble女士 |
[40:39] | He lives in our building. | 他跟我们住在一个大楼里 |
[40:41] | You can’t lose this bastard. | 你不能让这个混蛋跑了 |
[40:44] | It’ll be tough, Mr. McGowan. | 这会很难的,McGowan先生 |
[40:46] | He lives in our building. | 他跟我们住在一个大楼里 |
[40:56] | All rise. | 请起立 |
[41:04] | Be seated. | 请坐下。 |
[41:13] | I’ve never had a case like this. | 我从来没有遇到这样的案子 |
[41:16] | There’s contract law, | 这涉及到合同法, |
[41:18] | and there’s best interests of the child. | 并涉及到这个孩子的最佳利益 |
[41:22] | As a matter of public policy, | 从公共政策方面考虑 |
[41:25] | I have to give the latter more weight. | 我必须更看中后者。 |
[41:27] | Ms. Frutt, all the prevailing studies | Frutt女士,所有的主流的研究报告 |
[41:30] | favor a child’s connection with a father. | 都提倡孩子和父亲的相互联系 |
[41:34] | While I don’t doubt a single mother | 虽然我不怀疑一个单亲母亲能成功地抚养一个孩子 |
[41:37] | can successfully raise a child, | 虽然我不怀疑一个单亲母亲能成功地抚养一个孩子 |
[41:39] | I don’t think single parenting | 但我也不认为单亲家庭对你和你的女儿更有益处 |
[41:41] | gives you or your daughter an advantage. | 但我也不认为单亲家庭对你和你的女儿更有益处 |
[41:44] | I certainly salute your resolve and fortitude. | 我当然要向你的决心和毅力表示敬意 |
[41:50] | But I am reminded of Penelope Leach’s words. | 但我想到了Penelope Leach的名言。 |
[41:53] | “Why is it socially reprehensible | “为什么一个男人抛弃一个孩子要受到社会的谴责 |
[41:56] | “for a man to leave a baby fatherless, | “为什么一个男人抛弃一个孩子要受到社会的谴责 |
[41:58] | “but courageous or admirable for a woman to have a baby | “而一个女人生下一个她知道会是这样的孩子 |
[42:01] | whom she knows will be so?” | 却是勇敢或令人钦佩的呢?” |
[42:03] | In looking at this particular case, | 在审视这个特别的案子时 |
[42:07] | I don’t know whether this child will be better served | 我不知道这个孩子 |
[42:13] | by Ms. Frutt acting alone | 由Frutt女士单独抚养或是和Hale先生一起抚养 |
[42:15] | or with Mr. Hale’s involvement. | 哪样会更好些。 |
[42:18] | It’s crystal ball gazing, | 这是在占卜未来 |
[42:21] | and I just don’t know… | 而我真的不知道。。。 |
[42:24] | and I don’t like to rule on statistical probabilities. | 但我不喜欢用统计概率来做裁决 |
[42:29] | Without clear and convincing evidence, | 在没有清晰和令人信服的证据情况下, |
[42:33] | I’m going to let the contract tip the scale. | 我会让这份合同作为砝码使天平倾斜 |
[42:39] | I find the agreement at issue here valid. | 我裁定这份协议对此是有效的 |
[42:42] | Plaintiff’s legal rights as a father | 原告作为父亲的法律权力因此被终止 |
[42:43] | are thereby terminated. | 原告作为父亲的法律权力因此被终止 |
[42:45] | The request to add Mr. Hale’s name | 在出生证明加上Hale先生名字的申请亦被否决 |
[42:47] | to the birth certificate upon delivery is denied. | 在出生证明加上Hale先生名字的申请亦被否决 |
[42:50] | And we are adjourned. | 休庭 |