时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on “The Practice…” | 前集回顾未作翻译 |
[00:03] | I got a lewd and lascivious scheduled | |
[00:04] | for trial this morning, but Judge Hiller, | |
[00:05] | she’s ordered me to get co-counsel. | |
[00:07] | Why? | |
[00:08] | Something about how I’ve never won a trial. | |
[00:11] | Bobby, it’s bad for us to even be associated | |
[00:12] | with Harland Bassett. | |
[00:14] | -He’s a nice guy. -Yeah, and the world’s worst attorney. | |
[00:15] | I do not want to be in court with that man. | |
[00:17] | If I have you guys on board as co-counsel, | |
[00:19] | I know I could chip the settlement up. | |
[00:21] | Every time I sign up with you, I end up getting embarrassed. | |
[00:24] | That’s not going to happen this time. | |
[00:26] | What’s this case and what’s our involvement? | |
[00:28] | Product liability against a drug company | |
[00:29] | that injured a little girl. Harland — | |
[00:31] | This guy ponies you up every time. | |
[00:33] | I told him I’d join him for a settlement conference. | |
[00:34] | That’s all it will be. | |
[00:36] | -Gentlemen, come right in. -That’s John Rapherson. | |
[00:39] | You know him? | |
[00:41] | The man is one of the top three | |
[00:42] | civil litigators in Boston. | |
[00:45] | Our client has directed us not to settle. | |
[00:47] | We just beat the EPA for over $30 million | |
[00:50] | on injuries that weren’t even as bad. | |
[00:52] | They beat the EPA, Mr. Bassett. | |
[00:54] | Now while I salute your last-minute ingenuity | |
[00:56] | in signing them up for shock value, | |
[00:59] | we know who opposing counsel really is. | |
[01:01] | Eugene, this is Christine and Annie Mullin, our clients. | |
[01:04] | -Hello. -That drug did this to her? | |
[01:07] | Every bit of it. | |
[01:08] | Six months ago she was completely healthy. | |
[01:11] | Annie, you up for a fight? | |
[01:13] | Yes. | |
[01:14] | You tough enough to take on the drug company? | |
[01:17] | I’ll be as tough as I need to be. | |
[01:24] | The big hurdle is causation — | 最大的障碍是因果关系。。。 |
[01:26] | Proving the drug caused Annie’s liver failure. | 证明这种药品导致了Annie的肝衰竭 |
[01:29] | And do we have to prove it | 我们必须要证明这一点是超越合理怀疑的吗? |
[01:32] | beyond a reasonable doubt? | 我们必须要证明这一点是超越合理怀疑的吗? |
[01:34] | No, that’s a criminal standard. | 不,这是构成犯罪的标准。 |
[01:36] | The burden here is | 在本案种,提出有分量的证据是我们的责任。 |
[01:38] | the preponderance of the evidence. | 在本案种,提出有分量的证据是我们的责任。 |
[01:40] | Where is Harland? | Harland去哪儿了? |
[01:41] | He should be right in. | 他应该马上就来。 |
[01:43] | Mr. And Mrs. Mullin, we don’t think we’ll win. | Mullin先生和太太,我们觉得我们赢不了。 |
[01:46] | Our goal here — If we can do well enough | 我们的目标是。。。如果我们能做到可能会赢的程度, |
[01:49] | that we might win, then we should be able to settle | 我们就应该可以达成和解, |
[01:52] | because Hayden Laboratories can’t risk losing. | 因为Hayden研究所不敢冒打输官司的风险。 |
[01:56] | Does that make sense? | 这样做有道理吧? |
[01:58] | Yeah, I think so. | 嗯,我认为有道理。 |
[02:01] | Let me check on Harland. | 我去看看Harland在干嘛。 |
[02:07] | Harland, the Mullins are waiting. | Harland,Mullin夫妇在等你。 |
[02:11] | Oh, could you take the meeting, Eugene? | 哦,你可以去见一面吗,Eugene |
[02:13] | Take the meeting? It’s a pretrial. | 见一面?这是审前准备会议。 |
[02:14] | They want to talk to you. | 他们想和你谈。 |
[02:16] | I’m just… | 我就是。。。 |
[02:17] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[02:19] | I’m having a little anxiety. | 我有点心神不宁。 |
[02:21] | It’s nothing. Had it before. It goes away. | 没什么事。以前有过。但消失了。 |
[02:24] | What goes away? | 什么消失了? |
[02:26] | What exactly are you feeling? | 你到底觉得怎么样? |
[02:28] | My breathing gets a little hard. | 我有点呼吸困难。 |
[02:32] | I just need a few minutes. | 我只需要几分钟就好。 |
[02:34] | So… | 那么。。。 |
[02:36] | Should I tell them to wait? | 我让他们等着? |
[02:37] | No. | 不用。 |
[02:40] | I’m okay. | 我没事了 |
[02:42] | Harland? | |
[02:44] | Okay. | 好了 |
[02:48] | Okay. | 好了。 |
[02:51] | I can’t get air. | 我喘不上气。 |
[02:53] | Harland! | |
[03:52] | I want to do one more test, | 我想再做一次检查, |
[03:54] | but from everything I can see, it was just an anxiety attack. | 但从我所观察到的一切来看,这只是一种焦虑症发作而已。 |
[03:56] | -Your heart looks fine. -Thank God. | -你的心脏看起来没问题 -谢天谢地 |
[03:58] | We can keep you overnight, or you can leave, if you want. | 我们可以让你今晚留院观察,如果你愿意,你也可以离开。 |
[04:00] | No, I got to leave. I’m in trial in six hours. | 不了,我得离开,六个小时内我就要出庭了 |
[04:02] | Harland, I think we can get a continuance. | Harland,我觉得我们能申请到延期。 |
[04:04] | I wouldn’t be so sure, Eugene. | 我可不太确定能行,Eugene |
[04:06] | This judge said the last one was final. | 法官说了上一次就是最后一次延期 |
[04:09] | But this is medical. You had a near heart attack, so — | 但这次是医疗原因,你差点心脏病发作了,所以。。。 |
[04:12] | That’s the problem. Could I have a second? | 这就是问题所在,我一会再做检查行吗? |
[04:14] | Absolutely. I’ll check back. | 没问题,我会再回来得 |
[04:19] | The last continuance I got, | 我得到的上一次延期, |
[04:22] | I, uh… | 我,呃。。。 |
[04:24] | I sort of faked a heart attack. | 可以说是我假装心脏病发作了。 |
[04:27] | What do you mean you sort of faked a heart attack? | 你说假装心脏病发作是什么意思? |
[04:30] | He wasn’t going to give me any more time, | 那时他不打算再给我哪怕是一次延期了, |
[04:32] | so I grabbed my chest | 所以我捂着我的胸口说我必须要看病去。 |
[04:34] | and I said I had to go to my doctor. | 所以我捂着我的胸口说我必须要看病去。 |
[04:36] | He says, “If this happens again, | 他说,“如果这样的事再发生的话, |
[04:38] | “Then somebody else is going to have to try it | 那就要由别的人来负责这个案子, |
[04:41] | ’cause the case is going forward no matter what.” | 因为不管怎样,案件审理都会继续进行下去” |
[04:43] | You’re the only one who can try this case. | 你是唯一能负责这个案子的人。 |
[04:45] | We don’t know it well enough. | 我们不太了解案情。 |
[04:46] | Which is why I ought to be checking out tonight. | 这就是为什么我应该今晚出院的原因。 |
[04:49] | Hand me my pants, would you? | 把裤子递给我,好吗? |
[04:55] | So you’re going forward? | 那你要干下去了? |
[04:57] | He says he’s ready. Exhibits? | 他说他准备好了,在法庭上出示的物证呢? |
[05:00] | They’ve been delivered to the courthouse. | 都已经送到法庭去了。 |
[05:02] | Do you guys have any chance? | 你们有机会赢吗? |
[05:04] | That isn’t encouragement, Ellenor. | Ellenor,这可不算是鼓励吧。 |
[05:06] | The first chance you get to settle — | 一有机会就要争取和解。。。 |
[05:07] | Don’t worry. | 别担心。 |
[05:10] | Are we ready? | 你准备好了吗? |
[05:12] | We’re ready. | 我们准备好了。 |
[05:13] | All right. | 好吧。 |
[05:22] | Annie Mullin came to me with a sinus infection. | Annie Mullin来看病的时候是鼻窦感染。 |
[05:26] | I first treated it with another antibiotic. | 我先用另一种抗生素进行治疗。 |
[05:29] | When that didn’t work, I prescribed Reflexin. | 没有效果后,我开了这种叫Reflexin的药, |
[05:32] | Reflexin — This is also an antibiotic? | Reflexin。。。也是一种抗生素吗? |
[05:36] | -That’s correct. -And what happened? | -没错。 -然后呢? |
[05:39] | After taking the drug, she almost immediately | 服了这种药后,她几乎是立刻出现急性肝衰竭, |
[05:41] | went into acute liver failure, | 服了这种药后,她几乎是立刻出现急性肝衰竭, |
[05:43] | ultimately resulting in two transplants. | 最终导致两次肝移植。 |
[05:46] | In your medical opinion, ma’am, | 夫人,以你的医学观点来看, |
[05:48] | did Reflexin cause this liver failure? | 是Reflexin导致了肝衰竭吗? |
[05:50] | I cannot state it to a medical certainty, | 我不能从医学角度完全确定, |
[05:53] | but I can think of no cause other than the Reflexin. | 但除了Reflexin外,我想不出还会有别的原因。 |
[05:56] | Objection. | 反对。 |
[05:58] | Doctor, did you know that Reflexin was dangerous? | 医生,你知道Reflexin是危险的吗? |
[06:00] | Objection — No foundation. | 反对。。。缺乏根据。 |
[06:01] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[06:04] | What were your expectations regarding the safety | 你对这种抗生素在安全方面的预期是什么? |
[06:06] | of this antibiotic, doctor? | 你对这种抗生素在安全方面的预期是什么? |
[06:08] | I was aware that it hadn’t been tested on children, | 我了解到这种药没有在孩子身上测试过, |
[06:12] | but neither are about 80% of the drugs | 但是目前市场上大约百分之八十的药物也是如此。 |
[06:14] | on the market today. | 但是目前市场上大约百分之八十的药物也是如此。 |
[06:16] | Obviously, I didn’t consider it to be dangerous. | 显然,我不认为这种药存在危险。 |
[06:18] | If I did, I wouldn’t have prescribed it. | 如果我那样认为,就不会开这个处方。 |
[06:20] | But this is an adult drug. | 但这是一种成人药。 |
[06:22] | Yes, but we have to prescribe adult drugs to children | 是的,但是因为制药公司在孩子身上很少做测试。 |
[06:25] | because the pharmaceutical companies | 所以我们不得不给孩子开成人药品。 |
[06:26] | test so few of them on kids. | 所以我们不得不给孩子开成人药品。 |
[06:28] | And to your knowledge, do many pediatricians | 据你所知,很多儿科医生给孩子开成人药吗? |
[06:30] | prescribe adult drugs to children? | 据你所知,很多儿科医生给孩子开成人药吗? |
[06:32] | We all do routinely. | 我们一般都这样做。 |
[06:35] | All right, doctor, would you tell the court | 那好,医生,你能告诉法庭 你最初是怎么知道Reflexin这种药的? |
[06:37] | how you first learned about Reflexin? | 那好,医生,你能告诉法庭 你最初是怎么知道Reflexin这种药的? |
[06:39] | The same way I hear about all new drugs. | 就像我了解到所有其他新药的方式一样。 |
[06:42] | The company sends out a rep — | 制药公司派一个代表来。。。 |
[06:43] | He’s called a detail person — To promote the product. | 他被称为销售代表。。。来推销产品。 |
[06:46] | Did this detail person say anything | 这个销售代表谈到了任何有关于Reflexin安全性的情况吗? |
[06:48] | about the safety of Reflexin? | 这个销售代表谈到了任何有关于Reflexin安全性的情况吗? |
[06:50] | He represented it to me as very safe. | 他向我描述这种药是非常安全的。 |
[06:52] | Did he warn you about giving it to kids? | 他警告过你不要给孩子们服用吗? |
[06:55] | No, he did not. | 不,他没有。 |
[06:57] | Doctor, you were sued by the Mullins, | 医生,你被Mullin夫妇起诉了, |
[06:59] | and you settled out of court, did you not? | 而后你们在庭外和解了,不是吗? |
[07:01] | On the advice of my lawyer, I settled the claim, yes. | 是的,根据我律师的建议,我就索赔问题达成了和解。 |
[07:04] | Now as part of that settlement agreement, | 作为和解协议的一部分, |
[07:06] | you agreed to assist the plaintiff | 你承诺协助原告向其他当事人提出索赔。 |
[07:09] | in pursuing her claims against other parties. | 你承诺协助原告向其他当事人提出索赔。 |
[07:11] | Yes, but I only agreed to tell the truth, | 是的,但是我只承诺了据实陈述, |
[07:13] | which is what I’ve done here. | 那就是我在这里所做的。 |
[07:15] | The, uh… | 呃。。。 |
[07:17] | The literature that you received | 你从我当事人的销售代表那里接受的文献中, |
[07:19] | from my client’s detail person | 你从我当事人的销售代表那里接受的文献中, |
[07:22] | included all labeling information, | 包括了所有的标注信息, |
[07:24] | -did it not, doctor? -Yes. | -不是吗,医生? -是的。 |
[07:25] | And I show you a copy of that information | 我给你看一份这些信息的复印件 |
[07:27] | now marked and identified as exhibit “A.” | 标记为A号物证。 |
[07:29] | Could you read the highlighted section? | 你能读一下突出标明的部分吗? |
[07:32] | “Not proven safe and effective | “对于16岁以下儿童,没有未经证明安全有效” |
[07:34] | “For children under 16 years of age.” | “对于16岁以下儿童,没有未经证明安全有效” |
[07:37] | And yet you prescribed it to a 13-year-old girl? | 但你还是给一个13岁大的女孩开了这种药? |
[07:41] | It’s done all the time. | 一直都是这么做的。 |
[07:44] | Thank you, doctor. | 谢谢你,医生。 |
[07:47] | Mr. Bassett, redirect? | Bassett先生,需要再次直询吗? |
[07:51] | Can you think of anything else? | 你能想到点别的什么吗? |
[07:54] | No. You got what you can from her, | 不,你已经把能问的都问了, |
[07:56] | and you don’t want to give Rapherson | 你不会想让Rapherson再一次利用交叉盘问攻击我方证人的 |
[07:58] | another whack at cross. | 你不会想让Rapherson再一次利用交叉盘问攻击我方证人的 |
[08:00] | Right. | 那倒是。 |
[08:08] | Harland… | |
[08:11] | Tell the judge you have nothing further. | 跟法官说你没有别的问题了。 |
[08:15] | Uh, nothing further from this witness, your honor. | 呃,没有别的问题了,法官大人。 |
[08:21] | Looking at the biopsy on her liver, | 通过对她肝脏的活体检测, |
[08:23] | I concluded to a reasonable degree of medical certainty | 我得出较为合理的医学结论是,药物的毒性导致了肝衰竭。 |
[08:25] | that drug toxicity was the cause for the failure. | 我得出较为合理的医学结论是,药物的毒性导致了肝衰竭。 |
[08:29] | Do you know which drug caused this toxicity? | 你知道是哪种药物引起了这种毒性吗? |
[08:32] | It had to be the Reflexin. | 肯定是Reflexin这种药。 |
[08:34] | Two weeks after she took it, | 她服用后两周, |
[08:36] | she needed an emergency transplant. | 她就必须要进行紧急肝脏移植。 |
[08:38] | She had no medical history that made her susceptible, | 她没有过敏体质的病史, |
[08:40] | and I found no other factors that would have contributed | 而且我也没有发现其他因素可能会导致肝衰竭。 |
[08:42] | to the failure. | 而且我也没有发现其他因素可能会导致肝衰竭。 |
[08:44] | Okay, Doctor. | 那好,医生。 |
[08:46] | Can you tell us | 你们告诉我们为什么Reflexin可能会导致她的肝衰竭吗? |
[08:47] | why the Reflexin would have caused her liver to fail? | 你们告诉我们为什么Reflexin可能会导致她的肝衰竭吗? |
[08:51] | All drugs are metabolized through either the liver | 所有药物都通过肝脏和肾脏代谢, |
[08:53] | or the kidneys, and sometimes the drug | 但有时药物会使肝脏无法承受重负。 |
[08:55] | can simply overwhelm the liver. | 但有时药物会使肝脏无法承受重负。 |
[08:57] | Can it attack children in particular? | 这会对孩子有特别的损害吗? |
[09:00] | Children are especially vulnerable. | 孩子们尤其容易受到伤害。 |
[09:02] | They have immature livers, | 他们的肝脏还未成熟, |
[09:04] | and for a number of reasons, | 出于很多原因, |
[09:06] | they cannot be treated simply as small adults. | 不能简单地把他们当作小号的成人来对待。 |
[09:08] | That’s why this drug should have been tested on children. | 这就是为什么药物应该针对儿童进行测试。 |
[09:11] | -Was it? -No. | -那做测试了吗? -没有。 |
[09:14] | Are you aware of any research or data | 你了解到有什么研究和数据表明Reflexin会导致肝衰竭吗? |
[09:16] | that suggests Reflexin causes liver failure? | 你了解到有什么研究和数据表明Reflexin会导致肝衰竭吗? |
[09:19] | Hayden’s own data indicated abnormal levels | Hayden公司自己的数据就显示出肝脏机能的异常, |
[09:22] | of liver activity. That’s from their own study. | 那是他们自己的研究结果。 |
[09:25] | Now in this data that you referred to, | 在你所提到的数据中, |
[09:27] | what percent of the participants | 有百分之多少的参与者的肝功升高? |
[09:29] | had an elevated liver function? | 有百分之多少的参与者的肝功升高? |
[09:31] | I believe it was 2%. | 我认为是百分之二 |
[09:32] | 2%. | 被分之二。 |
[09:33] | Are there other drugs on the market that cause | 市场上还有其他药物有与此相似的指标吗? |
[09:35] | similar levels of elevated liver activity? | 市场上还有其他药物有与此相似的指标吗? |
[09:38] | Yes. | 有的。 |
[09:39] | -A few? Many? -Many. | -很少?还是很多? -很多。 |
[09:42] | Do you know how many people would die | 如果我们把这些药从市场上取缔的话, |
[09:44] | if we took them off the market? | 你知道有多少人会死吗? |
[09:45] | Objection — Speculative. | 反对。。。要求证人进行猜测。 |
[09:46] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[09:48] | Doctor, you spoke about children | 医生,你说到儿童尤其容易受到伤害。 |
[09:49] | being especially vulnerable. | 医生,你说到儿童尤其容易受到伤害。 |
[09:52] | Isn’t it true that children’s livers | 但儿童的肝脏不是通常比成年人更容易复原吗? |
[09:54] | are typically more resilient than adults? | 但儿童的肝脏不是通常比成年人更容易复原吗? |
[09:58] | Typically, yes, but not always. | 通常是,但并非总是如此。 |
[10:00] | Thank you, doctor. | 谢谢你,医生。 |
[10:06] | It was a good start — Solid. | 这是个不错的开始。。。很扎实 |
[10:08] | It was? | 是吗? |
[10:10] | It seemed like the doctors admitted they weren’t sure. | 似乎医生们也承认他们不太确定。 |
[10:12] | Well, we knew they’d have to. | 我们知道他们只能这样。 |
[10:13] | That’s what we talked about last night — | 这就是我们昨晚说到的。。。很难证明, |
[10:15] | Proof is tough, | 这就是我们昨晚说到的。。。很难证明, |
[10:17] | but Harland did a good job. | 但Harland做得不错。 |
[10:19] | Why is he breathing into that bag? | 他为什么往那个袋子里吐气? |
[10:22] | It works. I do it all the time. | 这有用的,我总这么做。 |
[10:24] | You get more oxygen that way. | 这样你可以得到更多的氧气。 |
[10:26] | So what’s next? | 接下来呢? |
[10:30] | Annie’s next. | 该Annie作证了。 |
[10:31] | You ready, Annie? | Annie,你准备好了吗? |
[10:34] | Yes. | 准备好了 |
[10:35] | Now, you going to have to be brave up there. | 现在,你在那儿作证必须要勇敢。 |
[10:37] | I’m ready. | 我准备好了。 |
[10:39] | You’re going to do great. | 你会做得很棒的。 |
[10:57] | While she’s testifying, | 她作证的时候, |
[10:58] | I do not want you to move. | 我希望你不要动。 |
[11:01] | Not at all? | 完全不能? |
[11:02] | Not at all. | 完全不能。 |
[11:03] | She’s our case, Harland. | 她是本案的关键,Harland |
[11:05] | Now if they’re going to budge on settling, | 如果他们会在和解上让步的话, |
[11:07] | Annie’s testimony will have to do it. | 一定要靠Annie的证词。 |
[11:09] | We need every juror’s eyes on her. | 我们需要每个陪审员的注意力都在她身上。 |
[11:11] | Okay. | 明白了 |
[11:12] | We’re almost there, aren’t we? | 我们快成功了,不是吗? |
[11:16] | We haven’t even finished putting in our case. | 我们甚至还没有完成举证, |
[11:18] | After that, they put on a defense. | 在那之后,他们要进行辩护。 |
[11:21] | Right. | 对 |
[11:24] | Let’s go. | 走吧。 |
[11:26] | I threw up a lot, | 我吐了很多,但我以为那是肠胃炎, |
[11:28] | but I thought it was the stomach flu, | 我吐了很多,但我以为那是肠胃炎, |
[11:30] | then I was on the bus to school | 然后我就坐校车去上学, |
[11:32] | and I passed out. | 然后我就昏倒了。 |
[11:34] | What happened? | 怎么回事? |
[11:36] | They said my liver stopped working | 他们说我的肝脏不工作了,我需要换一个肝。 |
[11:37] | and I needed another one. | 他们说我的肝脏不工作了,我需要换一个肝。 |
[11:39] | And then? | 然后呢? |
[11:40] | Then I got really sick for a few weeks. | 然后我大病了几个星期。 |
[11:42] | My eyes and skin turned yellow | 我的眼睛和皮肤发黄了 |
[11:45] | and I lost all this weight, | 体重也下降了, |
[11:47] | but then they found a new liver. | 之后他们找到了肝源。 |
[11:49] | So you got a transplant? | 所以你做了肝移植? |
[11:51] | Yeah… | 是的。。。 |
[11:53] | But it didn’t work. | 但它不起作用。 |
[11:55] | Tell us how it didn’t work. | 跟我们说说是怎么不起作用的 |
[11:57] | My body started to reject the replacement liver. | 我的身体开始产生排异。 |
[12:01] | I got really sick. | 我病得很重 |
[12:04] | It took a long time to find another one. | 又花了很长时间找到另一个肝源。 |
[12:06] | Longer than the first one? | 比找到第一个的时间长吗? |
[12:08] | Yes. I wasn’t as high on the list anymore | 是的,因为他们认为我会对下一次移植也会产生排异, |
[12:12] | because they thought… | 是的,因为他们认为我会对下一次移植也会产生排异, |
[12:13] | That my body would reject the next liver, too. | 我在移植名单上不太靠前。 |
[12:16] | Is everything going to be okay now? | 现在一切都会好起来吗? |
[12:19] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[12:21] | My body’s still having some problems. | 我的身体还有些问题。 |
[12:24] | They had me on these anti-rejection pills | 他们让我吃这些在我的余生里我每天都要吃得抗排异药, |
[12:26] | that I have to take every day for the rest of my life, | 他们让我吃这些在我的余生里我每天都要吃得抗排异药, |
[12:29] | and that make me more likely | 这些药会使我更有可能患上传染病或者癌症之类的病。 |
[12:31] | to get stuff like infections and cancer. | 这些药会使我更有可能患上传染病或者癌症之类的病。 |
[12:35] | Annie, what if you need a third transplant? | Annie,如果你需要第三次移植呢? |
[12:39] | I probably wouldn’t get it. | 我可能得不到机会了。 |
[12:42] | I’m too far down the list. | 我在移植名单上很靠后了。 |
[12:44] | Thank you, Annie. | 谢谢你,Annie。 |
[12:57] | I’m very sorry about your illness, Annie. | Annie,我对你的病深表歉意。 |
[13:00] | I know that everybody in this room | 我知道在这里的每个人都盼望你完全康复。 |
[13:02] | wishes you a complete recovery. | 我知道在这里的每个人都盼望你完全康复。 |
[13:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[13:06] | I’m going to just ask you a few questions. | 我只想问你几个问题。 |
[13:09] | If at any time you want to take a break, | 如果什么时候你想休息一下, |
[13:11] | I’m sure we can do that. Okay? | 我们就休息一会儿,好吗? |
[13:14] | Okay. | 好吧。 |
[13:23] | When the doctors were diagnosing you, | 当医生为你做诊断的时候, |
[13:25] | did they ask whether you had taken any other drugs | 他们问过你是否吃了别的药或者吃了过多的止疼药了吗? |
[13:28] | or taken too many pain relievers? | 他们问过你是否吃了别的药或者吃了过多的止疼药了吗? |
[13:31] | I think so, yeah. | 我想是的。 |
[13:34] | Do you remember what your answer was? | 你记得你怎么回答的吗? |
[13:36] | I told them that I hadn’t, | 我跟他们说,除了其他抗生素外,我没有吃过别的药。 |
[13:38] | except for the other antibiotics. | 我跟他们说,除了其他抗生素外,我没有吃过别的药。 |
[13:40] | Okay. | 那好。 |
[13:41] | You know they were asking about other possible reasons | 你知道他们是在寻找其他可能导致你肝衰竭的原因。 |
[13:44] | your liver failed. | 你知道他们是在寻找其他可能导致你肝衰竭的原因。 |
[13:46] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[13:47] | You also told them | 你也告诉过他们你没有喝酒,对吧? |
[13:50] | you hadn’t drunk alcohol, right? | 你也告诉过他们你没有喝酒,对吧? |
[13:52] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[13:53] | Now, Annie… | 现在,Annie。。。 |
[13:58] | Remember a sleepover | 还记得在你生病前几周你在你朋友Robin Cohen家过夜了吗? |
[14:01] | at your friend Robin Cohen’s house | 还记得在你生病前几周你在你朋友Robin Cohen家过夜了吗? |
[14:02] | a few weeks before you fell ill? | 还记得在你生病前几周你在你朋友Robin Cohen家过夜了吗? |
[14:05] | I think so. | 我想是的。 |
[14:08] | If we brought Robin here | 如果我们把Robin带来 |
[14:10] | and asked whether you and the other girls drank | 问她是否你和其他女孩从他父亲的酒柜里拿了酒喝的话, |
[14:12] | from her father’s liquor cabinet… | 问她是否你和其他女孩从他父亲的酒柜里拿了酒喝的话, |
[14:16] | What would she say? | 她会说什么? |
[14:20] | I hardly had anything. | 我几乎什么也没喝。 |
[14:23] | So you had some. | 那么你还是喝了一点。 |
[14:27] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[14:29] | You didn’t tell that to the doctors, | 然而你没有把这些告诉医生,是吗? |
[14:31] | 然而你没有把这些告诉医生,是吗? | |
[14:32] | No. | 是的。 |
[14:34] | Are there any other things you didn’t tell the doctors? | 还有别的什么事你没有告诉医生们的吗? |
[14:37] | No. | 没有了。 |
[14:41] | Okay. | 那好。 |
[14:47] | Prior to your taking Reflexin, | 在服用reflexin之前, |
[14:49] | you’d taken other antibiotics, right? | 你服用过其他抗生素,对吗? |
[14:51] | Yes. | 对。 |
[14:53] | And you’d had a flu a few weeks before this? | 在那儿几周前,你得过一次流感吗? |
[14:55] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[14:57] | Did you take any cough medicine? | 你吃过治疗咳嗽的药吗? |
[14:59] | -Yes. -Pain relievers? | -吃过。 -止痛药呢? |
[15:00] | Yes. | 吃过。 |
[15:02] | Okay, Annie, | 那好吧,Annie |
[15:04] | that’s actually all I have. | 实际上我要问的就这些了 |
[15:06] | And again, let me extend my wishes | 让我再一次祝愿你完全康复。 |
[15:08] | that you have a complete and healthy recovery. | 让我再一次祝愿你完全康复。 |
[15:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[15:21] | Annie, how much alcohol have you had in your life? | Annie,你一生中喝过多少酒? |
[15:25] | I’ve had, like, two sips of vodka. | 我喝过,两小口伏特加。 |
[15:29] | That’s it. | 就这些了。 |
[15:31] | I hated it. | 我讨厌喝酒。 |
[15:32] | And did you tell the truth to the doctors | 对于医生们所有其他的问题,你说的都是实话吗? |
[15:36] | for all the other questions they asked you? | 对于医生们所有其他的问题,你说的都是实话吗? |
[15:38] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[15:39] | Thank you, Annie. | 谢谢你,Annie |
[15:46] | Eugene’s going to dinner with the defense lawyer. | Eugene要去和辩方律师吃晚饭。 |
[15:48] | They’ve now seen our case. | 他们现在看到了我们的依据。 |
[15:50] | If we’re going to get an offer, | 如果我们会得到一个出价, |
[15:52] | this would be the time. | 现在就是时候了。 |
[15:53] | It’s a good sign that he’s willing | 他愿意一起吃晚饭是个好兆头吧? |
[15:55] | to have dinner, right? | 他愿意一起吃晚饭是个好兆头吧? |
[15:56] | We hope. | 我们希望是的。 |
[15:58] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉。 |
[16:00] | Sorry? | 抱歉? |
[16:03] | Why, sweetheart? | 宝贝,为什么? |
[16:05] | For not telling you about that sleepover | 没有跟你说那次过夜喝酒的事。 |
[16:07] | and the alcohol. | 没有跟你说那次过夜喝酒的事。 |
[16:09] | Hey, you did great up there. | 嘿,你做得非常棒。 |
[16:11] | That was just a cheap trick. | 那只是个卑鄙的伎俩。 |
[16:13] | It’ll backfire. You watch. | 会适得其反的,你等着看吧 |
[16:21] | The doctor said it, John. | John,医生说了, |
[16:24] | Toxicity to the liver caused the failure. | 毒素导致肝脏的衰竭。 |
[16:26] | He ruled out everything but Reflexin. | 除了Reflexin,其他的都排除了。 |
[16:28] | I thought I crossed him okay. | 我认为我对他的交叉盘问还不错。 |
[16:31] | But the bottom line is it’s in the record, | 但最重要的是被记录在案了, |
[16:33] | plus we have a very sympathetic little girl. | 加之我们有一个非常令人同情的小女孩。 |
[16:37] | You’re preaching to the choir. | 你这是在给唱诗班布道。 (我和你的意见本来就是一致的) |
[16:40] | I’ve been trying to convince Hayden | 我一直试图说服Hayden公司出个价 |
[16:42] | to offer something. | 我一直试图说服Hayden公司出个价 |
[16:43] | Trust me, I don’t like | 相信我,我不想为难一个小女孩。 |
[16:44] | going up against little girls. | 相信我,我不想为难一个小女孩。 |
[16:46] | So what gives? | 那是怎么回事呢? |
[16:47] | I think they’re angry. | 我想他们很生气。 |
[16:49] | Your client? | 你是说你的当事人? |
[16:51] | The pediatrician dropped the ball here, Eugene. | Eugene,这事是儿科医生犯了错。 |
[16:54] | I’m not saying doctors don’t prescribe off label. | 我不是说医生们不能在产品标注范围外去开药方 |
[16:56] | I know they do, | 我知道他们是怎么做的。 |
[16:58] | but she should have at least monitored the girl. | 但她起码应该监控那个女孩的状况。 |
[17:01] | Now, for her to settle out with a promise | 现在,她为了和解,承诺提供不利于制药公司的证词。。。 |
[17:03] | to testify against the drug company — | 现在,她为了和解,承诺提供不利于制药公司的证词。。。 |
[17:06] | She’s not the first doctor to do that. | 她不是第一个这么干的人了。 |
[17:08] | Exactly, which is why they’re so angry. | 一点没错,这就是为什么他们如此生气的原因。 |
[17:11] | Give me something. | 给我出个什么价吧 |
[17:13] | Come on, admit it. | 算了,认了吧。 |
[17:15] | Harland Bassett has done better than you thought. | Harland Bassett做得比你想象的要好。 |
[17:18] | If it were up to me… | 如果是我做决定的话。。。 |
[17:21] | But it isn’t. | 但并非如此。 |
[17:39] | Okay. | 那好。 |
[17:41] | We just keep going. | 我们接着干吧。 |
[17:44] | Their first witness is the hepatologist. | 他们的第一个证人是肝病专家。 |
[17:46] | Dr. Peter Kendall. | Peter Kendall医生。 |
[17:50] | Reflexin is not the most likely cause | Reflexin不是Mullin小姐肝衰竭最主要的原因 |
[17:53] | of Miss Mullin’s liver damage. | Reflexin不是Mullin小姐肝衰竭最主要的原因 |
[17:55] | Can you be sure of that, Dr. Kendall? | Kendall医生,你能确认这一点吗? |
[17:57] | Viral infections are the most common cause | 病毒感染是儿童肝衰竭最常见的原因。 |
[17:59] | of liver failure in children. | 病毒感染是儿童肝衰竭最常见的原因。 |
[18:01] | This girl was coming off a stomach flu, | 这个女孩得了急性肠胃炎, |
[18:04] | and that’s probably the very infection | 那种严重的感染很可能导致了肝衰竭。 |
[18:05] | that led to her liver injury. | 那种严重的感染很可能导致了肝衰竭。 |
[18:07] | Can you state this to a medical certainty, doctor? | 医生,你能从医学上确定这一点吗? |
[18:10] | Not a certainty. You have to understand | 不一定,你得理解大多数儿童肝衰竭的原因是不可知的。 |
[18:12] | that the cause of most cases of liver failure | 不一定,你得理解大多数儿童肝衰竭的原因是不可知的。 |
[18:15] | in children is unknown. | 不一定,你得理解大多数儿童肝衰竭的原因是不可知的。 |
[18:16] | So in a majority of cases, | 所以在大多数情况下,找不到原因。 |
[18:18] | there’s no cause found. | 所以在大多数情况下,找不到原因。 |
[18:20] | That’s correct, but here, | 没错,但是本案中, |
[18:21] | we know she had a viral infection, | 我们已知她感染了病毒, |
[18:23] | which we can isolate as the most likely culprit. | 我们可以将其视为最有可能的罪魁祸首。 |
[18:27] | Doctor, isn’t it true that the vast majority | 医生,绝大多数人的急性肠胃炎并不会导致肝衰竭,不是吗? |
[18:29] | of stomach flus do not cause liver failure? | 医生,绝大多数人的急性肠胃炎并不会导致肝衰竭,不是吗? |
[18:32] | Neither do most drugs. | 大多数药物也不会的。 |
[18:34] | But the speed at which Annie’s liver failed | 但是Annie的肝衰竭的速度更符合药物毒性特征,不是吗? |
[18:36] | is more consistent with drug toxicity, isn’t it? | 但是Annie的肝衰竭的速度更符合药物毒性特征,不是吗? |
[18:39] | In general, yes. | 通常情况下,是的。 |
[18:41] | You can’t rule out Reflexin | 你并不能排除Reflexin是导致Annie肝衰竭的原因,是吗? |
[18:43] | as a cause of Annie’s injuries, can you? | 你并不能排除Reflexin是导致Annie肝衰竭的原因,是吗? |
[18:45] | Well, the question is not — | 问题不在于。。。 |
[18:47] | You can’t rule it out, can you? | 你不能排除这种可能性,对吗? |
[18:49] | No. | 对 |
[18:51] | And, doctor, how many times have you testified | 还有,医生,你为制药公司作证过多少次? |
[18:54] | for drug companies? | 还有,医生,你为制药公司作证过多少次? |
[18:56] | I can’t be sure. | 我说不好。 |
[18:57] | -More than 50? -Yes. | -超过50次? -对 |
[18:59] | More than 100? | 超过100次吗? |
[19:00] | Probably. | 可能吧 |
[19:01] | And in all these appearances, | 在所有出庭作证中,你曾为原告作过证吗? |
[19:02] | have you ever testified for a plaintiff? | 在所有出庭作证中,你曾为原告作过证吗? |
[19:05] | No, I haven’t. | 没有过 |
[19:10] | I’ll take them to the witness room. | 我会带他们去证人室。 |
[19:18] | Am I crazy, or is Harland — | 是我糊涂了吗,还是Harland他。。。 |
[19:20] | He was good just then. | 他刚才很棒呀。 |
[19:22] | He was. | 的确是。 |
[19:24] | Eugene, we’ve put in our case, | Eugene,我们举证完毕了, |
[19:25] | we just had their first witness, | 我们刚开始对付他们第一个证人, |
[19:26] | and we’re in this. | 就是处于这个局面。 |
[19:28] | Nobody’s laughing in there. | 没有一方处于优势。 |
[19:30] | Yeah, but now come their big guns. | 是呀,但现在他们要祭出杀手锏了。 |
[19:33] | I know… | 我明白。。。 |
[19:34] | But nobody’s laughing. | 但还没分出胜负。 |
[19:43] | For a drug to be approved in the United States, | 在美国被核准使用的药品需要经过令人难以置信的检测程序。 |
[19:46] | it needs to go through an incredible testing process. | 在美国被核准使用的药品需要经过令人难以置信的检测程序。 |
[19:48] | When you say “Incredible” — | 你说“令人难以置信的”。。。 |
[19:50] | I mean hundreds of millions of dollars. | 我的意思是说要花费几亿美元。 |
[19:53] | First comes testing on a cellular level, | 首先是在细胞层面上进行检测 |
[19:55] | then animals. | 然后是动物 |
[19:56] | The last step is clinical trials on humans. | 最后一步是人体临床试验。 |
[20:00] | Then what? | 再然后呢? |
[20:01] | Then the company turns over its clinical data | 然后制药公司把临床数据移交给FDA的医学官员。 (FDA:美国食品药品监督管理局) |
[20:04] | to the FDA medical officers. | 然后制药公司把临床数据移交给FDA的医学官员。 (FDA:美国食品药品监督管理局) |
[20:05] | They review the data, then they convene | 他们复审这些数据, |
[20:07] | an advisory panel of outside independent specialists | 然后他们召集由外部独立专家组成的咨询小组进行鉴定, |
[20:11] | who give an opinion, | 然后他们召集由外部独立专家组成的咨询小组进行鉴定, |
[20:12] | which the FDA may or may not follow. | FDA会选择是否接受这个鉴定结果。 |
[20:14] | What does it mean to have approval from the FDA? | 获得FDA的批准意味着什么? |
[20:18] | It’s the gold standard. | 那就是金牌标准。 |
[20:19] | Meaning? | 意思是? |
[20:20] | The United States has the safest, | 美国拥有世界上最安全最严密的药品检测程序。 |
[20:22] | most rigorous | 美国拥有世界上最安全最严密的药品检测程序。 |
[20:23] | pharmaceutical testing process in the world. | 美国拥有世界上最安全最严密的药品检测程序。 |
[20:25] | Many, many drugs are available overseas | 很多很多在海外可以使用的药品在美国是禁止使用的。 |
[20:28] | that are prohibited here for safety reasons. | 很多很多在海外可以使用的药品在美国是禁止使用的。 |
[20:31] | In fact, a number of states | 事实上,在一些州里, |
[20:33] | limit the liability of drug manufacturers | 如果制药商的产品是获得FDA批准的话, |
[20:36] | from suits if their product is FDA approved. | 他们可以免于受到产品责任方面的诉讼。 |
[20:38] | -Objection. -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效。 |
[20:40] | Jury will disregard. | 陪审团对此可以不予理会。 |
[20:42] | From your review of the data, | 以你对数据的复审来看, |
[20:43] | did Hayden laboratories comply | Hayden研究所是否按要求对Reflexin进行了测试? |
[20:46] | with testing requirements for Reflexin? | Hayden研究所是否按要求对Reflexin进行了测试? |
[20:48] | Absolutely. | 绝对是。 |
[20:50] | Thank you, Doctor. | 谢谢你,医生。 |
[20:51] | In the last four years, | 在过去的四年里, |
[20:53] | 11 different drugs have been pulled off the market | 有十一种获得FDA准许的药品被从市场上撤下,不对吗? |
[20:56] | after the FDA approved them. Isn’t that correct? | 有十一种获得FDA准许的药品被从市场上撤下,不对吗? |
[21:00] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[21:01] | Duract — Painkiller, linked to liver failure. | 溴芬酸。。。止疼药,于肝衰竭有关。 |
[21:04] | That was one of them. | 那是其中之一。 |
[21:05] | Objection. This trial is about Reflexin — | 反对,这次审理是针对Reflexin。。。 |
[21:08] | They opened the door, your honor. | 他们引发的这个问题,法官大人。 |
[21:09] | This witness testified | 证人作证说FDS的核准就是金牌标准。 |
[21:11] | that the FDA’s approval was the gold standard. | 证人作证说FDS的核准是金牌标准。 |
[21:14] | Objection overruled. | 反对无效。 |
[21:16] | Lotronex — Irritable bowel syndrome, | 阿洛司琼。。。用于严重肠易激综合症, |
[21:18] | suspected cause of five deaths. | 被怀疑导致了五人死亡。 |
[21:21] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[21:22] | Propulsid — Heartburn. | 西沙必利。。用于胃灼热。 |
[21:23] | Suspected in over 300 deaths. | 被怀疑导致超过三百人死亡。 |
[21:25] | -Yes, but — -Seldane, Rezulin, the list goes on. | -是的,但是。。。 -特非那定制剂,曲格列酮片剂,这个名单还没完。 |
[21:29] | All approved by the FDA, | 都是由FDA准许的。 |
[21:31] | all pulled because of safety concerns. | 所有这些都是出于安全考虑而撤回的。 |
[21:35] | The fact that these drugs were withdrawn | 事实上,这些药品被撤回表明这个体系是有效的。 |
[21:37] | shows that the system works, | 事实上,这些药品被撤回表明这个体系是有效的。 |
[21:39] | that the FDA investigators are doing their job. | FDA的调查人员正在做他们的工作。 |
[21:42] | Think the 20 million Americans who took those drugs | 试想那20000万吃过这些药的美国人会相信这体系有效吗? |
[21:45] | believe the system works? | 试想那20000万吃过这些药的美国人会相信这体系有效吗? |
[21:47] | Objection. | 反对。 |
[21:48] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[21:50] | The fact that the FDA approved Reflexin | 事实上FDA对Reflexin予以核准并不确保其是安全的, 对吗,医生? |
[21:52] | doesn’t establish it’s safe, does it, doctor? | 事实上FDA对Reflexin予以核准并不确保其是安全的, 对吗,医生? |
[21:55] | There are never any guarantees. | 从来也没有任何担保。 |
[22:01] | I am extremely proud of Reflexin. | 我为Reflexin感到非常自豪。 |
[22:04] | It kills bacterial infections | 它能抑制会导致肺炎和脑膜炎的细菌性感染。 |
[22:06] | that can lead to pneumonia and meningitis. | 它能抑制会导致肺炎和脑膜炎的细菌性感染。 |
[22:09] | It saves lives every single day. | 它每天都在拯救生命。 |
[22:13] | Are you satisfied, sir, that it’s safe? | 先生,你确信它是安全的吗? |
[22:16] | Absolutely, when used as directed. | 如果按照说明使用的话,绝对是安全的, |
[22:20] | Here, it was not used as directed. | 本案中,没有按说明使用。 |
[22:23] | It is not intended for children. | 它不适合用于儿童。 |
[22:25] | Now, I don’t believe | 我并不认为是Reflexin导致了Annie Mullin受到的损伤 |
[22:27] | that Reflexin caused Annie Mullin’s injuries. | 我并不认为是Reflexin导致了Annie Mullin受到的损伤 |
[22:30] | Nevertheless, it should never have been prescribed. | 尽管如此,也不应该开处方使用它。 |
[22:33] | That’s why our label is clear — | 这就是为什么我们的标注清楚地写上。。。 |
[22:36] | “Not proven safe for children under 16.” | “对16岁以下儿童的安全性未做证实” |
[22:38] | What else can we do? | 我们还能做什么? |
[22:41] | We cannot be held responsible | 我们无法替每一个忽视我们提醒的医生担责。 |
[22:43] | for every doctor who ignores our warnings. | 我们无法替每一个忽视我们提醒的医生担责。 |
[22:46] | Thank you, Mr. Yates. | 谢谢你,Yates先生。 |
[22:52] | Eugene. | |
[22:56] | Can you take this one? | 你能去盘问这个证人吗? |
[22:58] | What? | 什么? |
[22:59] | I’m feeling… | 我觉得。。。 |
[23:01] | Overwhelmed. | 受不了了。 |
[23:02] | Look, Harland, | 听着,Harland |
[23:04] | I really don’t think we should let | 我认为我们绝对不能让陪审团 有时间体会那个证人刚刚说的话。 |
[23:05] | what that witness just said hang with the jury. | 我认为我们绝对不能让陪审团接受那个证人刚刚说的话。 |
[23:08] | The sooner we defuse it, the better. | 越早化解掉越好。 |
[23:21] | The FDA advisory committee that approved your drug | 核准你们药物的FDA咨询委员会由12个医生组成,对吧? |
[23:24] | was comprised of 12 doctors, correct? | 核准你们药物的FDA咨询委员会由12个医生组成,对吧? |
[23:27] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[23:28] | And seven of them | 其中七个和你的公司有经济关系,不是吗? |
[23:29] | had financial ties to your company, didn’t they? | 其中七个和你的公司有经济关系,不是吗? |
[23:31] | We fund research, Mr. Bassett. | Bassett先生,我们为研究工作提供资助 |
[23:34] | I mean, if that qualifies as financial ties, | 我的意思是,如果那被认为是经济关系的话, |
[23:36] | then, technically, you may be correct. | 那么,严格来说,你可能是对的。 |
[23:39] | Fact is, the drug industry | 事实是,制药业是医生的主要资助来源 |
[23:42] | is the major source of funding for doctors | 事实是,制药业是给那些研究药物的安全性和疗效的医生们 提供资助资金的主要来源。 |
[23:45] | who study the safety and efficacy of drugs. | 事实是,制药业是给那些研究药物的安全性和疗效的医生们 提供资助资金的主要来源。 |
[23:48] | Isn’t that right, Mr. Yates? | 不对吗,Yates先生? |
[23:49] | I believe so. | 我认为是的。 |
[23:51] | And if a doctor’s studies don’t come out like you want, | 但如果医生们的研究不能如你所愿的话, |
[23:53] | he’s not going to get a grant next time around | 下一次他不会得到研究所需的补助金,是吗? |
[23:56] | for his research, is he? | 下一次他不会得到研究所需的补助金,是吗? |
[23:57] | That’s not true. | 不是这样的。 |
[23:58] | As part of their compensation, | 作为补偿的一部分, |
[24:00] | you offer these doctors stock options | 你给了这些医生Hayden研究所的股票期权,不是吗? |
[24:03] | in Hayden labs, don’t you? | 你给了这些医生Hayden研究所的股票期权,不是吗? |
[24:04] | Sometimes. | 有时候是的。 |
[24:05] | You make it in their financial interest | 你使他们的经济利益和做出让你称心的研究成果相挂钩 |
[24:07] | to make favorable findings. | 你使他们的经济利益和做出让你称心的研究成果相挂钩 |
[24:09] | These are doctors that you’re talking about. | 你说的他们可是医生呀。 |
[24:12] | They are going to do what’s right. | 他们会做正确的事。 |
[24:13] | They’re doctors. | 他们是医生。 |
[24:15] | They’re going to do what’s right. | 他们会做正确的事。 |
[24:17] | -Objection — Argumentative. -Sustained. | -反对。。。辩论性问题 -反对有效 |
[24:19] | What’s the average review time | FDA核准的平均复审时间是多长? |
[24:21] | for FDA approval? | FDA核准的平均复审时间是多长? |
[24:22] | A little over a year. | 一年多一点。 |
[24:24] | How long did the FDA | FDA复审Reflexin的申请用了多长时间案? |
[24:26] | review the application for Reflexin? | FDA复审Reflexin的申请用了多长时间案? |
[24:28] | We were granted an expedited review. | 我们得到了一个快速复审。 |
[24:30] | How long? | 用了多久? |
[24:31] | Six months. | 六个月。 |
[24:33] | Do you think the FDA | 你认为FDA如果采用常规复审时间的话, 可能会发现Reflexin存在的问题吗? |
[24:34] | might have caught the problems with Reflexin | 你认为FDA如果采用常规复审时间的话, 可能会发现Reflexin存在的问题吗? |
[24:36] | if they took the normal review time? | 你认为FDA如果采用常规复审时间的话, 可能会查出Reflexin存在的问题吗? |
[24:38] | There were no problems to catch. | 没有什么问题可查。 |
[24:41] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[24:47] | No problems to catch? | 没有什么问题可查。? |
[24:51] | What is an adverse drug report? | 不良药物报告是什么? |
[24:55] | It’s a form filled out by a doctor | 那是当一个患者产生了可能与。。。我强调只是可能。。。 |
[24:57] | when a patient suffers an unexpected reaction | 那是当一个患者产生了可能与。。。我强调只是可能。。。 |
[25:00] | that might — And I stress might — | 处方药有关的意外反应时医生要填写的表单。 |
[25:03] | Be related to a prescription drug. | 处方药有关的意外反应时医生要填写的表单。 |
[25:05] | I’m holding six adverse drug reports | 我手里有六份不良药品报告, |
[25:08] | which list Reflexin | 把Reflexin列为涉及到四起儿童肝衰竭的首要怀疑原因。 |
[25:09] | as primary suspect in liver damage. | 把Reflexin列为涉及到四起儿童肝衰竭的首要怀疑原因。 |
[25:13] | Four involve children. | 把Reflexin列为涉及到四起儿童肝衰竭的首要怀疑原因。 |
[25:15] | You’re talking six reports | 你说的不过是二百万份处方中的六份不良报告而已。 |
[25:17] | out of 2 million prescriptions. | 你说的不过是二百万份处方中的六份不良报告而已。 |
[25:19] | But doctors aren’t required to file these reports, | 但医生们并不是被强制要求填写这些报告的, |
[25:21] | are they, Mr. Yates? | 对吗,Yates先生。 |
[25:23] | Some experts estimate six reports | 一些专家认为六份不良报告可以换算成六百次的实际并发症。 |
[25:26] | translates to 600 actual complications. | 一些专家认为六份不良报告可以换算成六百次的实际并发症。 |
[25:30] | I disagree. | 我不同意这个观点。 |
[25:31] | You are aware that doctors | 你是知道医生们在给孩子们开Reflexin处方的,不是吗? |
[25:32] | are prescribing Reflexin to kids, aren’t you? | 你是知道医生们在给孩子们用Reflexin的,不是吗? |
[25:35] | All we can do is to make the appropriate warning. | 我们所能做的就是发出适当的提醒而已。 |
[25:39] | We can’t control what doctors do. | 我们无法控制医生的做法, |
[25:42] | Yes or no? | 你知不知道医生们在给孩子们用Reflexin? |
[25:44] | You know doctors are prescribing it to kids. | 你知不知道医生们在给孩子们R用eflexin? |
[25:47] | Yes. | 知道 |
[25:48] | Hayden Labs made $265 million | Hayden研究所去年靠Reflexin赚了2.65亿美元,不是吗? |
[25:52] | on Reflexin last year, didn’t they? | Hayden研究所去年靠Reflexin赚了2.65亿美元,不是吗? |
[25:54] | -Objection. -Overruled. | -反对。 -反对无效。 |
[25:56] | $265 million. | 2.65亿美元。 |
[26:00] | How much of that came from off-label use by children? | 其中有多少是来自于超出标注范围用于儿童的? |
[26:03] | Some. | 有一些。 |
[26:04] | Some. | 一些。 |
[26:06] | Children are good business, aren’t they, Mr. Yates? | 做孩子们的生意不错呀,不是吗, Yates先生 |
[26:09] | -Objection. -Overruled. | -反对。 -反对无效。 |
[26:11] | You don’t test children | 你们不针对儿童进行测试, |
[26:13] | ’cause you don’t want to know what you’d find. | 是因为你们不希望知道测试结果。 |
[26:14] | That is untrue. | 不是那样的。 |
[26:15] | Why do you only test adults | 那为什么明知你们的药会用于儿童而只对成年人进行测试? |
[26:17] | when you know your drug is going to kids? | 那为什么明知你们的药会用于儿童而只对成年人进行测试? |
[26:23] | (sighs) | 哎 |
[26:24] | We limited our research and market to adults | 因为这种产品是为成年人设计的。 |
[26:29] | because the product is intended for adults. | 所以我们把我们的研发和市场限制在成人范围内。 |
[26:32] | Again, we cannot control what the doctors do. | 再说一遍,我们无法控制医生怎么做。 |
[26:36] | But when doctors prescribe Reflexin to kids, | 但是当医生给孩子们开Reflexin处方时, |
[26:39] | you don’t issue a stronger warning. | 你们没有发出强烈的警告。 |
[26:42] | You don’t do anything about it. | 你们对此什么也没有做。 |
[26:45] | You just take the money. | 你们只要赚钱就行了。 |
[26:47] | Objection! | 反对! |
[26:48] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[26:50] | Truthfully, you have researched children, haven’t you? | 说实话吧,你们已经对儿童做过研究了,不是吗? |
[26:54] | This is your research. | 这些就是你们的研究结果。 |
[26:57] | Six isolated cases is not data, Mr. Bassett. | Bassett先生,六个独立的案例算不上什么数据。 |
[27:04] | How about seven? | 那七个呢? |
[27:15] | You did great. | 你干得太棒了。 |
[27:16] | He did great. | 他干得太棒了! |
[27:18] | So now what? | 那现在呢? |
[27:19] | Closing arguments. | 结案陈述。 |
[27:21] | A good close and we have a chance. | 结案陈述做得好,我们就有机会了。 |
[27:22] | I haven’t written it yet. | 我还没写好呢。 |
[27:23] | You’ll do it tonight. | 你今晚做就行。 |
[27:25] | (knock on door) | |
[27:32] | Can we get together? | 我们能碰一下吗? |
[27:37] | We’ll be right out. | 我们这就去。 |
[27:42] | -Here comes the offer. -Oh, my God. | -来提报价了。 -哦,天啊。 |
[27:44] | -What? -All right, listen, | -是吗 -好了,听着。 |
[27:46] | we need to pick a number. | 我们要定个数额。 |
[27:48] | I need to go out there with a number. | 我出去谈要心里有个数额。 |
[27:50] | $600,000. | 60万美金。 |
[27:51] | They won’t pay $600,000. | 他们不会给60万美金的。 |
[27:53] | -$200,000. -Harland, you don’t have to cave that much. | -那就20万。 -Harland,你没必要一下子降那么多。 |
[27:56] | How do you go from $600,000 to $200,000? | 你怎么从60万降到20万呢? |
[27:58] | I’m confused. | 我搞不清楚该多少。 |
[28:00] | Look, liability is still shaky. | 听着,被告方责任仍然不太确凿 |
[28:02] | Last night, the number was zero. | 昨晚,这个数额就是零。 |
[28:04] | Right now, I think $400,000 is possible. | 而现在,我认为40万美金是有可能的。 |
[28:21] | $225,000. | 22.5万美金。 |
[28:23] | That was a half a million-dollar cross | 那交叉盘问值50万美金。 |
[28:25] | if I ever heard one. | 我觉得可能值一百万。 |
[28:26] | $225,000 was as high as he authorized me. | 他们给我的授权最多是22.5万美金。 |
[28:28] | I’m not playing poker here. | 我们别在这儿勾心斗角了。 |
[28:31] | I could convince him to throw in your fees. | 我可以说服他们把你们的费用也算上, |
[28:33] | You took it on a contingency. | 你们就当是风险收费。 |
[28:35] | That’s another $60,000 or so. | 这大概再多六万左右。 |
[28:37] | Let’s say goodbye to this at $300,000. | 让我们按30万成交吧。 |
[28:38] | $400,000 | 40万 |
[28:41] | and we’ll sign off. | 我就接受了。 |
[28:42] | Can’t do it, Eugene. $300,000’s the number. | 别这样,Eugene,就是30万。 |
[28:44] | No. | 不行。 |
[28:48] | Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[28:49] | We get to do this one more day. | 我们还得多折腾一天。 |
[28:57] | We just turned down $300,000. | 我们刚刚拒绝了30万美元呀。 |
[29:15] | Lucy? | |
[29:20] | Guys. | 伙计们。 |
[29:23] | Guys? | 伙计们? |
[29:27] | What time is it? | 什么时候了? |
[29:28] | 7:30. How late were you up? | 七点半,你们干到多晚呀? |
[29:30] | We just laid down to take a break | 我们刚躺下眯一会。 |
[29:32] | at 4:00 or so. | 大概凌晨4点吧 |
[29:34] | -Do we have any coffee? -I’ll make some. | -我们有咖啡吗? -我来冲一些。 |
[29:36] | I need new clothes. I can’t close in this. | 我需要换件衣服,我不能穿这件做结案陈述。 |
[29:39] | You got plenty of time. It’s early. | 时间宽裕,还挺早呢。 |
[29:40] | When are you due in? | 你们应该什么时候到? |
[29:41] | 9:00. | 九点 |
[29:43] | Okay, so you don’t have plenty of time. | 那好,你时间不太多了。 |
[29:44] | I got to go home and change. | 我要回家换衣服。 |
[29:46] | I’ll meet you guys there. | 我们在法院见。 |
[29:49] | They offered $300,000. | 他们出价30万和解。 |
[29:52] | And you turned it down? | 而你拒绝了? |
[29:54] | I know we can get another $100,000 | 如果他结案陈述做的好的话,我认为我们还能多得到十万。 |
[29:56] | if he closes well. | 如果他结案陈述做的好的话,我认为我们还能多得到十万。 |
[29:57] | Or it could go back to zero. | 也可能会归零了。 |
[29:59] | Have you ever heard Harland Bassett close? | 你听过Harland Bassett做的结案陈述吗? |
[30:01] | It isn’t pretty. | 不怎么样吧。 |
[30:02] | He’s different this trial, Bobby. | 他这次不一样了,Bobby。 |
[30:05] | He’s in some kind of zone. | 他有些如鱼得水。 |
[30:07] | In a zone? | 如鱼得水? |
[30:08] | When have you ever, ever known him | 只要给他足够的时间,你们曾见过他最终没有把事搞砸过吗? |
[30:09] | not to screw things up? | 只要给他足够的时间,你们曾见过他最终没有把事搞砸过吗? |
[30:12] | If you give him enough time… | 只要给他足够的时间,你们曾见过他最终没有把事搞砸过吗? |
[30:31] | We all know to warn our kids | 我们都知道要警告我们的孩子不要买那种街边的药物。 |
[30:34] | about the kind of drugs you buy on a street corner. | 我们都知道要警告我们的孩子不要买那种街边的药物。 |
[30:37] | We know to steer them away | 我们知道要使他们远离奸商和街头小贩。 |
[30:39] | from shady dealers and back alleys. | 我们知道要使他们远离奸商和街头小贩。 |
[30:42] | But what we don’t know | 但我们不知道的是, |
[30:45] | is that they are twice as likely | 孩子们死于我们自己家药柜里的药的可能性要多一倍。 |
[30:47] | to die from the drugs in our own medicine cabinets. | 孩子们死于我们自己家药柜里的药的可能性要多一倍。 |
[30:51] | James and Christine Mullin told their daughter | Mullin夫妇为了让他们的女儿舒服些,给她吃了药。 |
[30:54] | to take her medicine because it would make her feel better. | Mullin夫妇为了让他们的女儿舒服些,给她吃了药。 |
[30:58] | Look at her. | 看看她的样子。 |
[31:00] | A simple antibiotic. | 一般的抗生素。 |
[31:02] | Two weeks later, she lost her liver | 两周后,她失去了她的肝和正常的生活。 |
[31:04] | and her opportunity for a normal life. | 两周后,她失去了她的肝和正常的生活。 |
[31:08] | The defense would have you believe | 被告方想让你们相信她的医生要负全责。 |
[31:10] | that her doctor bears all the responsibility, | 被告方想让你们相信她的医生要负全责。 |
[31:12] | but this ignores one critical fact. | 但这忽略了一个关键事实。 |
[31:15] | Hayden Labs knew | Hayden研究所明知 |
[31:18] | that once Reflexin was approved for adults, | Reflexin一旦获准用于成年人,也会被用于儿童。 |
[31:22] | it would make its way to children. | Reflexin一旦获准用于成年人,也会被用于儿童。 |
[31:25] | 80% of the drugs on the market today | 当前市场上百分之八十的药物,没有对孩子进行充分的测试。 |
[31:28] | are not adequately tested on kids. | 当前市场上百分之八十的药物,没有对孩子进行充分的测试。 |
[31:33] | 80%. | 百分之八十呀。 |
[31:34] | And it’s common practice for doctors | 而给孩子开这些药,对医生来说这是很普遍的做法。 |
[31:36] | to prescribe these medications to children. | 而给孩子开这些药,对医生来说这是很普遍的做法。 |
[31:40] | Now, knowing this, what does Hayden Labs do? | 那么,明知这些,Hayden又做了什么呢? |
[31:44] | They slip in the most innocuous warning they can, | 他们加进去一条尽可能淡化的警告, |
[31:47] | while at the same time | 与此同时却向儿科医生推销这种药。 |
[31:49] | marketing the drug to pediatricians. | 与此同时却向儿科医生推销这种药。 |
[31:52] | But saying “Not proven safe or effective” | 但是,“未被证明是安全或有效的”和警告危险不是一回事。 |
[31:57] | is not the same | 但是,“未被证明是安全或有效的”和警告危险不是一回事。 |
[31:58] | as warning it could be dangerous, | 但是,“未被证明是安全或有效的”和警告危险不是一回事。 |
[32:02] | and they knew it. | 他们对此是清楚的。 |
[32:07] | It’s hard to wage a battle | 和一家大制药公司作对儿是很困难的。 |
[32:09] | against a big pharmaceutical company. | 对抗一家大制药公司是很困难的。 |
[32:12] | This is a $100 billion industry. | 这是一个1000亿美元的产业。 |
[32:15] | I’m sorry, your honor, I’m loath to object | 对不起,法官大人,我不想在结案陈述阶段提出反对, |
[32:18] | during a closing, | 对不起,法官大人,我不想在结案陈述阶段提出反对, |
[32:19] | but this is neither relevant — | 但是这些没有关联。。。 |
[32:20] | It is relevant. | 这是有关联的。 |
[32:22] | The revenues they generate are relevant | 他们对研发的操纵程度与他们的收入相关联。 |
[32:24] | to the extent that they control research. | 他们对研发的操纵程度与他们的收入相关联。 |
[32:27] | I’ll give you a short leash, Mr. Bassett, | Bassett先生,我会给你一点发挥的空间, |
[32:30] | but keep it about the case. | 但还是不要离题太远。 |
[32:34] | The drug companies — They fund the research. | 这些制药公司。。。他们对研究提供资助。 |
[32:38] | They pay many doctors who are in charge of testing | 他们给很多负责测试药品是否安全的医生支付报酬。 |
[32:41] | whether a drug is safe, | 他们给很多负责测试药品是否安全的医生支付报酬。 |
[32:43] | and some drugs get to the market that are unsafe. | 于是一些并不安全的药品进入了市场。 |
[32:46] | In the last four years alone, | 仅在过去的四年里, |
[32:49] | 20 million Americans took drugs | 有二千万美国人服用了那些因安全问题被撤出市场的药品。 |
[32:52] | that were pulled off the market because of safety reasons. | 有二千万美国人服用了那些因安全问题被撤出市场的药品。 |
[32:56] | 20 million. | 二千万呀。 |
[33:00] | And I submit that when Reflexin is finally tested on kids, | 并且我认为Reflexin如果最终针对孩子进行测试后, |
[33:04] | it, too, will probably be pulled, | 也可能会被撤出市场。 |
[33:07] | but Hayden Labs — | 但是Hayden研究所。。。 |
[33:09] | They’re not going to test it, ladies and gentlemen. | 他们不打算去进行这样的测试,先生们女士们。 |
[33:11] | Oh, not if they can help it. | 噢,除非他们能回避问题。 |
[33:13] | The problem with test results | 测试结果带来的麻烦是你会被它们缠住。 |
[33:16] | is you’re stuck with them. | 测试结果带来的麻烦是你会被它们缠住。 |
[33:17] | And they don’t want any test proving | 他们不希望有任何测试表明Annie Mullin已经知道的。。。 |
[33:20] | what Annie Mullin already knows — | 他们不希望有任何测试表明Annie Mullin已经知道的。。。 |
[33:23] | That this drug can cause liver failure. | 这种药物能导致肝衰竭。 |
[33:29] | It caused hers. | 这种药导致了她的肝衰竭。 |
[33:31] | They don’t care, ladies and gentlemen. | 他们并不在乎,先生们女士们。 |
[33:34] | They don’t give a damn. | 他们一点也不在乎。 |
[33:36] | And the FDA? | 那么FDA呢? |
[33:39] | They rely on clinical and advisory panels | 他们依靠由由制药公司提供资助的临床和咨询专家小组。 |
[33:42] | that are bankrolled by these people. | 他们依靠由由制药公司提供资助的临床和咨询专家小组。 |
[33:46] | In the end, it’s not about safety. | 最终,这与安全与否无关。 |
[33:50] | It’s not about compassion. | 这也与同情心无关。 |
[33:53] | It’s not about little girls like Annie. | 也与Annie这样的小女孩无关。 |
[33:57] | It’s about money. | 只跟钱有关。 |
[33:59] | That’s all they understand. | 这就是他们的理解。 |
[34:02] | Go back to that jury room | 回到陪审团商议室,带回来一个赔偿数额吧。 |
[34:05] | and return with a number | 回到陪审团商议室,带回来一个赔偿数额吧。 |
[34:07] | that’ll make them understand. | 那会让他们清醒过来。 |
[34:29] | That was very impassioned. | 真是激情四射呀。 |
[34:32] | However, cases are decided on fact and merit, | 然而,案件是取决于事实和实际案情。 |
[34:37] | not passion. | 而不是激情。 |
[34:39] | Fact — | 事实是。。。 |
[34:41] | The cause of most liver failure in children is unknown. | 大多数儿童肝功能衰竭的原因尚不清楚。 |
[34:45] | Fact — | 事实是。。。 |
[34:48] | It’s much more likely that Miss Mullin’s stomach flu | Mullin小姐的胃急性肠胃炎比她所服用的药物 更有可能导致肝衰竭。 |
[34:51] | caused her liver failure than any drug she took. | Mullin小姐的胃急性肠胃炎比她所服用的药物 更有可能导致肝衰竭。 |
[34:54] | Fact — | 事实是。。。 |
[34:56] | The FDA reviewed Reflexin | FDA对Reflexin进行了复审 |
[34:58] | and found it to be safe and effective | 并认为如按照指导使用的话是安全和有效的。 |
[35:00] | when used as directed. | 并认为如按照指导使用的话是安全和有效的。 |
[35:03] | Fact — The FDA still approves Reflexin. | 事实是。。。FDA仍然是准许Reflexin的, |
[35:07] | Fact — We warned doctors | 事实是。。。我们警告了医生们不要将此用于16岁以下儿童 |
[35:08] | not to use it on children under 16. | 事实是。。。我们警告了医生们不要将此用于16岁以下儿童 |
[35:11] | Fact — Miss Mullin’s doctor read that warning | 事实是。。。 Mullin小姐的医生明知这个警告但还是开了处方。 |
[35:14] | and still prescribed it. | 事实是。。。 Mullin小姐的医生明知这个警告但还是开了处方。 |
[35:17] | Mr. Bassett would have you believe | Bassett先生想让你们相信 |
[35:20] | that the evil pharmaceutical companies | 恶魔般的制药公司为了牟利而杀人。 |
[35:22] | are out there killing people for profit. | 恶魔般的制药公司为了牟利而杀人。 |
[35:25] | Reflexin is in the family of antibiotics | Reflexin属于拯救了数以百万计生命的抗生素家族。 |
[35:28] | that has saved millions of lives. | Reflexin属于拯救了数以百万计生命的抗生素家族。 |
[35:32] | All right, yes, | 好吧,的确制药公司对研究提供了资助。 |
[35:34] | the drug companies fund research. | 好吧,的确制药公司对研究提供了资助。 |
[35:36] | Does this mean that the findings are bought? | 这就意味着研究结果是被收买的吗? |
[35:38] | Absolutely not, | 绝对不是。 |
[35:40] | and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. | 没有什么别的证据表明这一点。 |
[35:42] | They pay for this research to get it done, | 他们完成这项研究,为的是研发出挽救生命的药物。 |
[35:45] | to be able to discover lifesaving medicines. | 他们完成这项研究,为的是研发出挽救生命的药物。 |
[35:47] | We all live longer, more enriched lives | 我们都因那些药物而活得更长,更充实。 |
[35:50] | because of those medicines. | 我们都因那些药物而活得更长,更充实。 |
[35:52] | Reflexin is one such lifesaving medication. | Reflexin就是一种救命的药。 |
[35:58] | Now, do we know some doctors | 我们知道一些医生可能给孩子们开这种药吗? |
[36:01] | might possibly prescribe it to children? | 我们知道一些医生可能给孩子们开这种药吗? |
[36:04] | Yes. | 我们是知道的 |
[36:06] | So we clearly warn them. | 所以我们才很清楚地警告他们。 |
[36:10] | “Not proven safe for children.” | “未被证实对儿童安全” |
[36:13] | What else can we do? | 我们还能做什么? |
[36:16] | What else can we do? | 我们还能做什么? |
[36:47] | No matter what happens, Harland, | Harland,不管结果如何, |
[36:49] | you tried a great case. | 你这个案子办得很棒 |
[36:51] | I still wish I could have done more with the medicals. | 我还是觉得我该在医学方面做得更多一些。 |
[36:54] | There isn’t more. | 已经够多的了。 |
[36:56] | It’s not like the truth is out there somewhere. | 看起来这个案子也找不出真相是什么。 |
[36:59] | I don’t know | 我不知道我该怎样才能报答你。 |
[37:01] | how I’m ever going to be able to repay you. | 我不知道我该怎样才能报答你。 |
[37:04] | Me? | 我? |
[37:06] | I just sat there. | 我只不过是坐在那里而已。 |
[37:07] | Yeah, right. | 那倒是啊。 |
[37:17] | $400,000 — Sealed. | 四十万美元。。。和解协议不得公开。 |
[37:23] | I need a second with co-counsel. | 我需要和协办律师谈一下。 |
[37:35] | I don’t know how to advise you. | 我不知道如何给你建议。 |
[37:37] | I can’t say we’re going to win, | 我不是说我们赢定了, |
[37:39] | but if we win, | 但如果我们赢了, |
[37:40] | it should be more than $400,000. | 会比四十万多。 |
[37:44] | What does your gut tell you? | 你的直觉是什么? |
[37:47] | Only that I got to throw up. | 我只是觉得要吐了。 |
[37:50] | No matter what, we got to run it by the client. | 不管如何,我们去征求当事人的意见。 |
[37:56] | If they’re offering $400,000, | 如果他们提出了四十万美金, |
[37:58] | do you think they’d go higher? | 你认为他们还会给更高的吗? |
[38:01] | This lawyer doesn’t really play that way. | 这个律师确实没法那么做了。 |
[38:02] | He just puts it out. | 他只是把和解方案提出来而已。 |
[38:04] | Now, that’s not to say we couldn’t chip it up some, | 现在,不是说我们不能再讨价还价, |
[38:06] | but — | 但是。。。 |
[38:08] | Harland, six months ago, | Harland,六个月前, |
[38:10] | we put ourselves in your hands. | 我们把命运都交给你了。 |
[38:18] | Let’s go to verdict. | 我们去听裁决吧。 |
[38:19] | Harland. | |
[38:21] | They never thought we’d get this far, Eugene. | 他们从没想到我们能到这一步,Eugene |
[38:23] | Let’s go to verdict. | 我们去听裁决吧 |
[38:25] | Let me see if I can get it up to $600,000. | 让我试试看能不能争取到60万美金。 |
[38:26] | No. | 不必了。 |
[38:27] | Let’s go to verdict. | 我们去听裁决吧。 |
[38:29] | You understand, Mr. Mullin, that this could — | 你要明白,Mullin,那样可能会。。。 |
[38:33] | I understand that Harland took us here. | 我明白是Harland把我们带到这一步的。 |
[38:35] | I’m going to follow his instinct. | 我会听从他的直觉。 |
[38:38] | (pager beeps) | |
[38:40] | Jerry’s back? Who’s Jerry? | Jerry回来了?谁是Jerry? |
[38:44] | Jury. The jury’s back. | 是Jury,是说陪审团做出裁决了 |
[38:47] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧。 |
[38:55] | And, Eugene — Eugene。。。 | |
[38:58] | I’m sure. | 我确定要这么做 |
[39:00] | Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[39:26] | $600,000. | 六十万美金。 |
[39:29] | No. | 不行。 |
[39:40] | Can you get a read? | 你解读出来什么了吗? |
[39:42] | No. | 没有 |
[39:53] | Mr. Foreman, have you reached a verdict? | 陪审团主席先生,你们做出了裁决吗? |
[39:55] | We have, your honor. | 是的,法官大人。 |
[39:57] | What say you? | 请宣布。 |
[40:02] | In the matter | 就Anne Mullin诉Hayden研究所一案。。。 |
[40:03] | of Anne Mullin vs. Hayden Laboratories… | 就Anne Mullin诉Hayden研究所一案。。。 |
[40:06] | We find in favor | 我们裁定原告Anne Mullin胜诉, |
[40:08] | of the plaintiff Anne Mullin, | 我们裁定原告Anne Mullin胜诉, |
[40:11] | and we order the defendant to pay compensatory damages | 并责令被告方支付损害赔偿金额为 |
[40:13] | in the amount of $5.6 million. | 560万美元。 |
[40:16] | (audience gasping and murmuring) | |
[40:29] | The defendant moves for a judgment | 被告方请求迳为判决 (迳为判决适用于民事案件, 此种方式允许法官裁量以取代陪审团的不合理判决) |
[40:30] | notwithstanding the verdict. | 被告方提出迳为判决动议。 (迳为判决适用于民事案件, 此种方式允许法官裁量以取代陪审团的不合理判决) |
[40:39] | The evidence never established causation, | 证据从未确定因果关系, |
[40:41] | and no reasonable jury could find that it did. | 而陪审团也没有理由能发现这一点。 |
[40:43] | In the alternative, | 做为替代方案, |
[40:44] | we’re entitled to a new trial. | 我们有权接受新的审判。 |
[40:58] | Denied. | 驳回被告动议。 |
[41:02] | Members of the jury, | 陪审团成员们, |
[41:04] | this concludes your service. | 你们尽到了你们义务。 |
[41:05] | Your judgment is so entered, | 你们的裁决生效, |
[41:08] | and you are dismissed with thanks from the court. | 你们可以解散了,法庭感谢你们。 |
[41:20] | (sniffs) | |
[41:21] | How about that? | 太神了吧? |
[41:23] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[41:27] | You look like you’re about to cry. | 你看起来像是哭了。 |
[41:30] | Yeah… | 嗯。。。 |
[41:31] | And if you tell anybody, I’ll kill you. | 你要是跟别人说,我饶不了你。 |