| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:02] | Right now, we’re offering 450. | 现在,我们提出的是45万。 | 
| [00:05] | They’re holding out for six and a quarter. | 他们坚持62.5万。 | 
| [00:07] | You’re prepared to go to trial over $175,000? | 你们打算为了多17.5万就去打官司? | 
| [00:10] | We have to. | 我们不得不如此。 | 
| [00:11] | The insurance industry as a whole is taking a hit | 因为我们支付的损害赔偿太多了, | 
| [00:13] | because we’re paying out too much in damage claims. | 致使整个保险业受到了冲击。 | 
| [00:15] | We’re now perceived as being soft, | 我们现在被视为软弱可欺, | 
| [00:18] | and the truth is, we have to be seen as ready to litigate. | 而事实是,我们必须被视为准备好了去打官司。 | 
| [00:20] | But what about these big jury awards? | 那陪审团可能得出的大额赔偿裁决呢? | 
| [00:22] | That doesn’t scare you? | 你们不怕吗? | 
| [00:23] | Oh, it does, but it means that we can’t be satisfied | 噢,确实是,但那意味着我们不但要去打官司, | 
| [00:26] | with just going to trial. We have to win. | 而且必须赢。 | 
| [00:28] | BOBBY: And this starts tomorrow. | 但庭审明天就要开始了。 | 
| [00:30] | Yes, but the reality is if the plaintiff sees us | 是的,但现实情况是 | 
| [00:34] | bringing you guys on last-minute, | 如果原告看到我们最后一刻带你们来了 | 
| [00:36] | they’ll realize that we’re serious about going to trial, | 他们会意识到我们对于庭审是非常重视的。 | 
| [00:38] | and we truly think that they’ll settle. | 因为我们确信他们会愿意和解的。 | 
| [00:40] | We’re primarily criminal, Gordon, not civil. | Gordon,我们主要是做刑事而不是民事案件。 | 
| [00:43] | Understood, but we are gonna draw a very blue-collar jury, | 我明白,但是我们要挑选出一个蓝领为主的陪审团, | 
| [00:47] | which is why we want you, Mr. Berluti. | 这就是为什么我们需要你Berluti先生的原因。 | 
| [00:49] | And, Mr. Young, no disrespect to your talent, | 而Young先生,不是对你才能的不敬, | 
| [00:52] | which we know is enormous– | 我们都知道你是极其有才能的。。。 | 
| [00:53] | the plaintiff is African-American, | 原告是非裔美国人, | 
| [00:55] | as are several of the jurors. | 有几个陪审员也是。 | 
| [00:57] | Now, we don’t anticipate any bias, | 我们并没有预料这会有倾向性的问题, | 
| [01:00] | but we want that to be covered, | 但我们希望对此加点保险, | 
| [01:01] | so we want you to do the plaintiff’s cross. | 所以我们希望你负责原告的交叉盘问。 | 
| [01:04] | Now, I have a videotape of his deposition, | 现在,我有一盘他的证人陈述录像带, | 
| [01:07] | which I’ll leave for you to watch. | 我会留给你们看看。 | 
| [01:09] | But like I said, with you alongside, | 但正如我所说的,有你们在旁边, | 
| [01:11] | perhaps that will push the plaintiffs to settle. | 或许会促成原告方愿意和解。 | 
| [01:14] | We’re so close as it is. | 我们很有希望如愿。 | 
| [01:15] | The plaintiff is poor, working-class? | 原告方很穷,是劳动阶层吗? | 
| [01:18] | The plaintiff is ten years old. | 原告是个十岁的孩子。 | 
| [01:22] | Our client ran him over with his SUV. | 我们的当事人开SUV撞了他。 | 
| [01:28] | But he survived. | 但他没死。 | 
| [01:29] | Oh, yes. That’s why they’re holding out for six and a quarter. | 噢,没错,这就是为什么他们坚持62.5万。 | 
| [01:32] | If he’d died, I think that we could have settled for three. | 如果撞死了,我觉得我们30万就达成和解了 | 
| [01:39] | I’m sorry. That perhaps sounded cold. | 不好意思,这或许听起来很没人情味。 | 
| [01:43] | Perhaps. | 或许是的。 | 
| [02:37] | GORDON: Your brother is older or younger? | 你的兄弟是你哥哥还是你弟弟? | 
| [02:40] | BOY: Well, I have two brothers. | 我有两个兄弟。 | 
| [02:43] | One’s older– that’s Kenny. | 一个比我大。。。叫Kenny。 | 
| [02:45] | Then I also have a baby brother. | 我还有个小弟弟。 | 
| [02:47] | His name is Justin. | 叫Justin | 
| [02:49] | And the one that I go to school with is Kenny. | 和我一起去上学的是Kenny。 | 
| [02:57] | All set? Ready. Let’s go. | – 好了吗? – 好了,我们走吧。 | 
| [03:03] | We’ll call in, let you know. | 我们会打电话回来向你通报情况的。 | 
| [03:05] | Good luck. | 祝你们一切顺利。 | 
| [03:06] | So they didn’t settle after all? | 那么说他们终究是没有达成和解吗? | 
| [03:08] | The plaintiff came down to six, but that was it. | 原告方只降到60万,仅此而已。 | 
| [03:11] | Is this our new direction– insurance defense? | 这算是我们的新业务方向吗。。。保险官司? | 
| [03:14] | No, but civil law is something you all want to do, | 不,但民事官司是你们想做的, | 
| [03:16] | and this is a good in. | 这个案子是一个好的切入点。 | 
| [03:17] | Right now our civil profile is nonexistent. | 而目前我们民事官司方面的形象还是空白的。 | 
| [03:19] | Which is unfortunate, because I’d love to buy a house. | 这很不幸,因为我很想有钱买房子。 | 
| [03:22] | Me, too. | 谁不想呀。 | 
| [03:28] | I was walking home from school when I got to the corner. | 我正从学校回家,当我走到街角处。 | 
| [03:32] | Pembleton and Columbus? | Pembleton和Columbus路那儿吗? | 
| [03:35] | Yes, and I waited till the sign said “walk.” | 是的,我等到信号灯指示可以走了时, | 
| [03:38] | So I started to cross. | 于是我开始穿过马路。 | 
| [03:40] | Then I saw it. | 然后我看到了。 | 
| [03:41] | Saw what? The car. | – 看到啥? – 那辆车。 | 
| [03:43] | It was coming so fast. | 很快地开过来 | 
| [03:46] | I turned to look, but it was too late. | 我转身去看,但已经晚了。 | 
| [03:49] | Before I could even move, it had hit me. | 因为我还没来得及跑,就被撞到了。 | 
| [03:51] | Could you see who was driving the car? | 你能看到谁开的车的吗? | 
| [03:54] | Only that it was a man, and he was wearing a suit, | 只看到是个男的,穿件西装, | 
| [03:57] | like a business suit. | 像是一件正装。 | 
| [03:59] | Did you see anything else? | 你还看见别的了吗? | 
| [04:01] | I saw he was looking down where a phone would be, | 我看到他低头看着,可能是手机, | 
| [04:03] | and he wasn’t looking at where he was driving. | 他开车时没有看路。 | 
| [04:05] | Objection. | 反对。 | 
| [04:06] | Overruled. It’s his observation. | 反对无效,这是他观察到的。 | 
| [04:10] | Can you tell the jury about your injuries? | 你可以跟陪审团说说你受的伤吗? | 
| [04:12] | I had broken ribs, | 我肋骨断了, | 
| [04:15] | my lungs was hurt, | 肺受伤了 | 
| [04:16] | my arm was broken, | 我的胳膊也断了, | 
| [04:19] | my head was hurt, | 头破了, | 
| [04:21] | and a bone was broken in my shin. | 胫骨也断了一根。 | 
| [04:24] | Have you had any other problems besides broken bones? | 除了骨折你还有其他问题吗? | 
| [04:27] | I can’t learn. | 我无法学习了。 | 
| [04:29] | You can’t learn? | 你无法学习? | 
| [04:31] | I don’t remember anything that they teach me at school. | 在学校学的东西我什么记不住。 | 
| [04:36] | Could you before the accident? | 你在车祸前可以吗? | 
| [04:38] | Yes. | 是的。 | 
| [04:39] | And you’ve talked to the doctors | 你跟医生说过有关这些学习方面的问题吧。 | 
| [04:40] | about these problems you’ve had learning. | 你跟医生说过有关这些学习方面的问题吧。 | 
| [04:42] | Yes. | 是的。 | 
| [04:43] | Did they tell you whether or not | 他们告诉你这些问题是否可以消失吗? | 
| [04:45] | these problems would ever go away? | 他们告诉你这些问题是否可以消失吗? | 
| [04:46] | They don’t think they will. | 他们认为不会的。 | 
| [04:50] | Thank you, Jason. | 谢谢你,Jason。 | 
| [04:51] | Right now, another lawyer is going | 现在,另一个律师会问你一些问题,行吗? | 
| [04:53] | to ask you a few questions, okay? | 现在,另一个律师会问你一些问题,行吗? | 
| [04:55] | Okay. | 好的。 | 
| [05:04] | Hi, Jason. | |
| [05:05] | I’m Eugene Young, and as Ms. Turner said, | 我叫Eugene Young,如Turner女士说的 | 
| [05:09] | I’ll be asking you a few questions. | 我会问你几个问题。 | 
| [05:11] | If at any time you need a break, | 不管你什么时候觉得要停一下, | 
| [05:13] | you just tell me, okay? Okay. | – 跟我说就行,好吗? – 好的。 | 
| [05:17] | First, let me say how sorry I am that you got hurt, | 首先,让我对你受伤表示难过, | 
| [05:21] | and that I hope you get better. | 我希望你会好起来。 | 
| [05:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 | 
| [05:24] | You said you were walking home from school that day, right? | 你说过你那天你正放学回家,对吧? | 
| [05:27] | Yes. At the corner, | – 是的。 – 在街角处, | 
| [05:29] | you said you waited for the sign to say “walk.” | 你说过你等到信号灯指示可以走时 | 
| [05:33] | I did. | 是的。 | 
| [05:34] | There was a witness, Jason– a Mr. Anthony Walker. | Jason,有个证人。。。Anthony Walker先生。 | 
| [05:37] | And he said upon hearing the impact, he looked up, | 他说一听到撞击声,就抬起头来看, | 
| [05:40] | and he said he noticed | 他说他注意到信号灯闪烁着“禁止步行” | 
| [05:42] | the light was flashing “don’t walk.” | 他说他注意到信号灯闪烁着“禁止步行” | 
| [05:44] | Well, it said “walk” when I started to walk. | 这个嘛,我开始走的时候显示的是“可以步行” | 
| [05:48] | Sometimes it changes when you’re halfway across. | 有时走到一半的时候会变灯的。 | 
| [05:50] | Were you halfway across? | 你走到一半了吗? | 
| [05:56] | According to the police investigators, | 根据警方的调查, | 
| [05:58] | you got hit when you were about ten feet from the curb. | 你是在离路边10英尺的地方被撞到的。 | 
| [06:02] | So that would mean that the light changed to “walk,” | 那么说信号灯变成可以步行后, | 
| [06:04] | you walked ten feet, | 你走了10英尺 | 
| [06:06] | and then it changed to “don’t walk.” | 信号灯就变成“禁止步行” | 
| [06:08] | Is that what happened? | 是这样吗? | 
| [06:10] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 | 
| [06:11] | Is it possible that when you got to the curb, | 会不会是当你走到路边, | 
| [06:13] | you looked up, saw “walk,” then walked? | 你抬头看到“可以步行”,然后接着走? | 
| [06:18] | That’s what I said. | 我就是这么说的。 | 
| [06:19] | Well, actually, you said | 实际上,你说的是 | 
| [06:22] | you waited for it to change to “walk,” | 你等到信号灯变成“可以步行” | 
| [06:24] | and that’s where I’m having difficulty. | 而这就是我感到困惑的地方 | 
| [06:25] | Now, if it had already been flashing “walk” | 如果当你走到街角处,信号灯已经闪烁着“可以步行” | 
| [06:28] | when you arrived at the corner, | 如果当你走到街角处,信号灯已经闪烁着“可以步行” | 
| [06:29] | then I can see how you might only get ten feet or so. | 这样我才可以理解你可能只走出去10英尺左右。 | 
| [06:32] | Could it have already been on “walk” | Jason,当你到达街角的时候, | 
| [06:35] | when you arrived at the corner, Jason? | 信号灯已经是显示“可以步行”了吗? | 
| [06:39] | Maybe. All I know is that it said “walk,” and I walked. | 也许吧,我知道的就是信号是可以步行的,我就走了。 | 
| [06:46] | You said after the accident, | 你说过在事故之后, | 
| [06:48] | you’ve been having trouble remembering things, right? | 你在记忆方面出了问题,对吗? | 
| [06:50] | Yes. | 是的。 | 
| [06:54] | Jason, truthfully… | Jason,说实话。。。 | 
| [06:58] | …do you have a little trouble remembering the accident itself? | 。。。你是不是有些记不清了事故的情况了? | 
| [07:06] | When you woke up after the accident, | 当你在事故之后醒过来, | 
| [07:08] | and the police asked you what happened, | 在警察问你事发情况时, | 
| [07:10] | did you remember? | 你那时记得吗? | 
| [07:13] | Not right away. | 不是马上就记得的。 | 
| [07:15] | Well, how long after the accident | 那好,事故发生之后多久, | 
| [07:17] | did you start to remember? | 你开始记起来了? | 
| [07:22] | It took a long time. | 花了很长时间。 | 
| [07:42] | What, you’re still expecting me to blink? | 想什么呢,还指望我让步吗? | 
| [07:44] | Audrey, the boy’s memory is suspect. | Audrey,这孩子的记忆受到质疑。 | 
| [07:48] | No skid marks, Gordon, middle of the street. | Gordon,没有刹车痕迹,又在路中央。 | 
| [07:50] | But if he dashed– Nobody saw him dash, | – 但如果是那孩子闯。。。 – 没人看见闯过马路 | 
| [07:52] | least of all your client, who was trying to place a call. | 尤其是你的当事人更没有看见,他正想打个电话。 | 
| [07:54] | The one and only witness saw “don’t walk.” | 唯一的证人说看见了“禁止步行” | 
| [07:56] | How many times have we had this give and take? | 我们有多少次互相迁就了? | 
| [07:59] | Many times, but I’m the only one who seems to be giving. | 很多次,但是我总是那个迁就你的人。 | 
| [08:01] | You haven’t– Four-fifty for a boy | – 你没有。。。 – 才给一个永久性学习障碍的孩子45万 | 
| [08:03] | with permanent learning disabilities. | – 你没有。。。 – 才给一个永久性学习障碍的孩子45万 | 
| [08:06] | My doctors say it most likely isn’t permanent. | 我方医生说这不太可能是永久性的 | 
| [08:08] | The truth is it’ll be years before we know. | 事实上,我们还需要好几年才能知道。 | 
| [08:10] | I am putting an extra 200 on the table for it now, | 而我现在就要为此付出额外的20万, | 
| [08:14] | and all this assumes that you can make on liability, | 而这全都是假设你可以定责, | 
| [08:17] | which is not a lock. | 可定责并不是绝对有把握的。 | 
| [08:18] | I’m not taking 450. | 我不接受45万 | 
| [08:22] | Why don’t we split the difference and go home: | 我们何不分摊差额了事呢 | 
| [08:24] | Five and a quarter. Five-fifty. | – 52.5万 – 55万 | 
| [08:26] | Five twenty-five. | 52.5万 | 
| [08:27] | I know you’ve done the numbers. | 我知道你可以接受这个数字 | 
| [08:28] | It’s a good offer, and it’s final. | 这报价很不错了,而且也是最终的。 | 
| [08:34] | Yea or nay? | 接受还是不接受? | 
| [08:39] | I’ll discuss it with the family. | 我会和这家人谈谈。 | 
| [08:51] | How’d it go? | 情况如何? | 
| [08:54] | Eugene was good. | Eugene很棒。 | 
| [08:55] | Gentle, but he caught some discrepancies. | 他很温和,但抓住了一些不一致的问题。 | 
| [08:58] | I don’t think the boy really remembers the accident. | 我不认为这孩子真记得清楚这次事故 | 
| [09:00] | Eight and a half at the time. | 那时候八点半了。 | 
| [09:01] | Well, there’s another offer out. | 提出了另一个报价。 | 
| [09:03] | The feeling is they’ll grab it. | 感觉他们会赶紧接受的。 | 
| [09:06] | Can I help you? | 我能为您效劳吗? | 
| [09:07] | Yes, I’m looking for Gordon Keene. | 我在找Gordon Keene。 | 
| [09:10] | I was told he might be here. | 我听说他可能在这儿。 | 
| [09:12] | No, we just left him. I think, uh… | 不,我们刚和他分手,我想,呃。。。 | 
| [09:15] | he’s on his way home. | 他在回家的途中。 | 
| [09:16] | I’m Dr. Harold Manning, | 我是Harold Manning医生, | 
| [09:18] | Vice President of Medical Affairs for Brenford Mutual. | Brenford互助基金医疗事务部的副部长 | 
| [09:21] | This firm, I understand, is on the Jason Lees case. | 据我所知,这家事务所正在办理Jason Lees的案子。 | 
| [09:24] | Yes. | 是的。 | 
| [09:26] | Could we go somewhere and talk? | 我们能找个地方谈谈吗? | 
| [09:31] | I’ve worked for Brenford Mutual for almost 20 years. | 我为Brenford互助基金会工作了近20年。 | 
| [09:34] | I review files, medical histories, | 我负责复核档案和病历, | 
| [09:36] | in part to be sure they’re not being defrauded. | 一定程度上是为了确保他们不会被诈骗。 | 
| [09:38] | You think the boy’s injuries may be a fraud? | 你认为这个男孩的受伤可能是个骗局? | 
| [09:41] | No, certainly not. | 不,当然不是。 | 
| [09:43] | Everything listed in the complaint is real. | 投告中所列出的一切都是实情。 | 
| [09:45] | It’s what isn’t listed. | 问题在于没有列出来的。 | 
| [09:48] | I’m not sure I follow, doctor. | 我没听明白,医生。 | 
| [09:50] | This afternoon, in preparing for the case, | 今天下午,为了准备这个案子 | 
| [09:53] | one of our staff physicians went back over the file | 我们一个内科医生复核了包括X光片之内的档案 | 
| [09:55] | along with all the X-rays. | 我们一个内科医生复核了包括X光片之内的档案 | 
| [09:57] | He saw something on the MRI– | 他在核磁共振上发现。。。 | 
| [09:59] | a tiny marking at the base of the brain. | 大脑底部的一个小斑点。 | 
| [10:02] | He had me look at it. | 他让我看了。 | 
| [10:04] | At first I assumed it was minor bleeding. | 起初我假定这是轻微出血。 | 
| [10:06] | We often see that in this kind of trauma. | 我们经常在这种创伤中看到这种情况。 | 
| [10:08] | But I looked closer. | 但我仔细看了看 | 
| [10:10] | You think it may be more serious? | 你认为这可能要更严重? | 
| [10:12] | I’m certain it is. | 我很确定是的。 | 
| [10:13] | Mr. Lees has a dissecting aneurysm of the basilar artery. | Lees有一个基底动脉夹层动脉瘤 | 
| [10:20] | A small tear in the lining of the artery. | 动脉内膜有个小裂口。 | 
| [10:23] | In time, that tear will likely get progressively worse, | 随着时间的推移,这种裂口可能会越来越严重, | 
| [10:26] | until eventually, the wall of the vessel ruptures. | 直到最后,血管壁破裂。 | 
| [10:28] | What are the chances that’ll happen? | 这种情况的几率有多大? | 
| [10:30] | It will happen. The question is when. | 早晚会发生的,问题是什么时候发生。 | 
| [10:33] | Maybe today, maybe ten years from now. | 也许今天,也许好几年后。 | 
| [10:35] | Without immediate surgery to repair the damage, | 不立即通过外科手术修复的话 | 
| [10:38] | his life is at significant risk. | 他的生命面临重大危险。 | 
| [10:41] | Wait a second. | 等一下 | 
| [10:43] | Jason Lees has a team of treating physicians. | Jason Lees有一个治疗医生团队 | 
| [10:46] | I have to believe they’re aware of this. | 我认为他们是知道这个情况的。 | 
| [10:48] | If they were aware of this, | 如果他们知道这一点, | 
| [10:49] | the boy would have been rushed into surgery. | 那男孩本来会被迅速送进手术室的。 | 
| [10:50] | His doctors obviously missed it. | 他的医生显然没有查出来。 | 
| [10:52] | We missed it until today. | 我们到今天才查出来。 | 
| [10:55] | Have you notified his family or his doctors? | 你通知他家人或者他的医生了吗? | 
| [10:57] | I can’t. | 我不能这样做。 | 
| [10:59] | As an officer of the company, | 作为公司的一个高级职员 | 
| [11:00] | I have a fiduciary duty to Brenford Mutual. | 我对Brenford互助基金负有受托责任 | 
| [11:02] | I cannot disclose if it’s against their interest. | 对于违背他们利益的信息,我不能透露出去。 | 
| [11:05] | So they don’t even know. No, they don’t. | – 那么说他们还不知道。 – 对,他们不知道。 | 
| [11:07] | What about Gordon Keene? Does he know about this? | – 那Gordon Keene呢? – 他知道这事吗? | 
| [11:10] | No, that’s why I’ve come looking for him. | 不知道,这就是为什么我在找他。 | 
| [11:12] | I couldn’t get him on his cell. | 我打不通他的手机。 | 
| [11:13] | What you’re telling us, doctor– | 医生,你在跟我们说什么。。。 | 
| [11:16] | that boy’s life is in immediate danger. | 是说这个男孩随时有生命危险。 | 
| [11:20] | That’s exactly what I’m telling you. | 我跟你们说的就是这个。 | 
| [11:35] | I just got off with Dr. Scanlon. | 我刚和Scanlon打完电话。 | 
| [11:37] | He agrees– aneurysm. | 他同意。。。是动脉瘤。 | 
| [11:39] | Okay, whatever they counter tomorrow, | 好吧,不管他们明天提什么反对意见 | 
| [11:41] | we’ll accept it. | 我们都会接受。 | 
| [11:43] | Then we’ll get the settlement entered immediately. | 然后我们马上订立和解协议。 | 
| [11:45] | Tomorrow? That kid is in danger tonight. | 明天?那孩子今晚就有危险。 | 
| [11:48] | We can’t get a settlement entered tonight, Jimmy. | Jimmy,我们今晚没法完成和解协议。 | 
| [11:50] | So what? | 那又怎么样? | 
| [11:51] | Gordon– I hear you, Bobby. – Gordon。 | – 我明白你的意思,Bobby。 | 
| [11:53] | But the client has instructed me to get the case settled. | 但是当事人指示我达成和解。 | 
| [11:56] | If that aneurysm bursts tonight, | 如果动脉瘤今晚破裂, | 
| [11:58] | Brenford Mutual will be on the hook for ten times– | Brenford互助基金要为此负上十倍的责任。。。 | 
| [12:01] | Well, they’re willing to run the risk, evidently. | 显然他们愿意冒这个风险。 | 
| [12:03] | I’m not. That’s not your call. | – 我不愿意 – 这轮不到你来做主。 | 
| [12:05] | This is privileged. It’s work product. | 这是保密特权内的,这是免于披露的工作内容。 | 
| [12:07] | We can’t let a kid die. Come on. | 我们不能让一个孩子死掉,得了吧。 | 
| [12:10] | We are gonna settle this thing | 我们要达成和解然后签订协议。 | 
| [12:11] | and then enter it. | 我们要达成和解然后签订协议。 | 
| [12:12] | Then they’ll just try to void it on fraud | 然后,我们一但告诉他们 | 
| [12:14] | as soon as we tell them. | 他们就可以欺骗为由使和解协议无效 | 
| [12:15] | Did you advise the client of that? | 你向当事人提出这个忠告了吗? | 
| [12:17] | I did. | 我提了。 | 
| [12:18] | And? | 那么? | 
| [12:20] | The client doesn’t want us to tell | 当事人希望我们即使在和解之后也不要声张。 | 
| [12:22] | even after the settlement. | 当事人希望我们即使在和解之后也不要声张。 | 
| [12:34] | You got to be kidding me. | 你开玩笑吧。 | 
| [12:36] | Bobby… | |
| [12:38] | Brenford Mutual is hemorrhaging, | Brenford互助基金在脑溢血, | 
| [12:41] | if you’ll pardon the terrible pun. | -如果你能原谅这个可怕的双关语的话。 | 
| [12:43] | If it gets out that that kid has an aneurysm, | 如果透露出那个男孩患有动脉瘤的话, | 
| [12:46] | it’s a multimillion-dollar verdict | 即使可以手术修复, | 
| [12:48] | even if they’re able to repair it. | 也是一个数百万美元的判决。 | 
| [12:50] | And if it should come out that we knew | 而如果披露出我们知道动脉瘤但没有说出来的话。。。 | 
| [12:52] | about that aneurysm and we didn’t tell– | 而如果披露出我们知道动脉瘤但没有说出来的话。。。 | 
| [12:55] | The public relations alone… That’s sick. | – 单就公众形象而言。。。 – 真恶心。 | 
| [12:58] | There’s got to be a way around this. | 一定有办法解决这个问题。 | 
| [12:59] | There isn’t. | 没有 | 
| [13:01] | The client has given us the instruction. | 当事人已经指示我们了。 | 
| [13:03] | We are ethically prohibited from revealing this information. | 我们在职业道德上被禁止透露这些信息。 | 
| [13:11] | Now, look, I don’t like this any more than you do, but… | 现在,听好了,我比你们还讨厌这样做,但。。。 | 
| [13:18] | I’ll take it from here. | 这些就我自己来做吧。 | 
| [13:20] | I’ll get this thing settled in the morning. | 这事我会在明早达成和解。 | 
| [13:25] | Thanks. | 多谢了。 | 
| [13:33] | We’re just going to sit on this? | 我们就打算这么拖着? | 
| [13:37] | Lucy, get me Anderson Pearson. | Lucy,帮我联系Anderson Pearson | 
| [13:46] | I’m afraid Gordon Keene is right. | 我想恐怕Gordon Keene是对的。 | 
| [13:47] | He can’t be. If we know a client | – 他不可能是对的。 -如果我们得知一个当事人 | 
| [13:49] | is about to cause serious bodily harm, | 即将造成严重的身体伤害, | 
| [13:52] | we’re allowed to tell. | 我们是被允许去说出来的。 | 
| [13:54] | No. That is different from knowing somebody’s medical condition | 不,那和从工作内容中得知某人的身体状况是有区别的。 | 
| [13:56] | as a part of work product. | 不,那和从工作内容中得知某人的医疗状况是有区别的。 | 
| [13:58] | Why? why should it be any different? | 为什么?为什么有区别? | 
| [14:00] | In both instances, we have knowledge | 在这两种情况下,我们都得知有人要受到伤害呀。 | 
| [14:01] | somebody’s about to get hurt. | 在这两种情况下,我们都得知有人要受到伤害呀。 | 
| [14:03] | Perhaps that distinction is a ludicrous one, Bobby, | Bobby,也许那种区别是不合理的, | 
| [14:05] | but currently, the law makes that distinction. | 但目前,法律对此有区分。 | 
| [14:08] | If you know your client is about to commit a crime | 如果你知道你的当事人将要去实施犯罪 | 
| [14:11] | and cause bodily injury, you are permitted to tell. | 并造成人身伤害,你是被允许进行透露的。 | 
| [14:14] | But a medical condition in a civil matter– | 但是在民事诉讼中的医疗状况。。。 | 
| [14:17] | unless you get the client’s permission, | 除非你得到当事人的允许, | 
| [14:18] | you are frozen. | 否则你要禁言。 | 
| [14:22] | Can’t you get the client to move on this? | 你们能使你们的当事人对此有所改变吗? | 
| [14:24] | No. | 不行。 | 
| [14:31] | All I can think of– after we settle the case, | 我能想到的就是。。。 在我们解决了这个案子之后, | 
| [14:33] | the client might be less panicked. | 当事人可能不会那么紧张了。 | 
| [14:35] | Maybe then we can convince them to tell. | 也许我们可以说服他们去告诉对方。 | 
| [14:38] | But as Keene said, the risk there is so great. | 但正如Keene所说,风险太大了。 | 
| [14:40] | Well, I can’t think of anything else, can you? | 好吧,我想不出别的办法了,你呢? | 
| [14:43] | Jimmy? | |
| [14:49] | Jimmy? Any ideas? | Jimmy?你有什么想法? | 
| [14:51] | No. | 没有。 | 
| [14:54] | Where are you in the trial? | 你们现在的局面是? | 
| [14:56] | Well, it’s obviously going to settle now. | 显然目前就是打算和解。 | 
| [14:58] | But if for some reason it doesn’t, | 但如果因为某种原因达不成和解, | 
| [15:00] | are you ready with your closing, Jimmy? | 你们准备好结案陈词了吗,Jimmy? | 
| [15:03] | Jimmy! | |
| [15:04] | Is your closing ready? | 结案陈词准备好了吗? | 
| [15:07] | I was gonna head back to work on it now. | 我现在就回去准备。 | 
| [15:10] | I don’t think we’d get there tomorrow, but– | 我觉得我们明天用不上,但。。。 | 
| [15:11] | You’ve got to stay focused. | 你还是要集中精力。 | 
| [15:13] | I’ll be ready, if need be. | 如果需要的话,我会准备好的 | 
| [15:51] | GORDON (on tape): Any sisters? | 有姐妹吗? | 
| [15:53] | No sisters. Just me and my two brothers. | 没有,只有我和两个兄弟。 | 
| [15:56] | My parents wanted a girl when they had me. | 我父母生了我后,想要个女孩 | 
| [15:58] | At least that’s what my older brother tells me. | 至少我哥哥这么告诉我的。 | 
| [16:01] | He says that to punk me. | 他说那些是跟我开玩笑。 | 
| [16:03] | He punks me all the time. | 他总是跟我开玩笑。 | 
| [17:04] | Mr. Lees, my name is James Berluti. | Lees先生,我是James Berluti。 | 
| [17:06] | I’m one of the lawyers representing Branford Mutual. | 我是代表Branford互助基金的律师之一。 | 
| [17:09] | Yeah, I recognize you. | 哦,我认识你。 | 
| [17:10] | I’m sorry to bother you this late. | 很抱歉这么晚打扰你 | 
| [17:13] | Your son… | 你的儿子。。。 | 
| [17:19] | your son has an aneurysm at the base of his skull. | 你的儿子在脑底部有动脉瘤。 | 
| [17:23] | What? | 什么? | 
| [17:24] | Our doctors reviewed his MRI today. | 我们的医生今天对他的核磁共振进行了复查。 | 
| [17:26] | I’ve called an ambulance. It’s on the way. | 我叫了救护车了,已经在途中了。 | 
| [17:31] | There’s been a misdiagnosis. | 你儿子被误诊了。 | 
| [17:32] | Your son could be in danger. | 他可能非常危险。 | 
| [17:36] | We need to get him to a hospital. | 我们要把他送到医院去。 | 
| [17:38] | Where is he now? | 他现在在哪里? | 
| [17:39] | He’s in bed. | 他上床了。 | 
| [17:41] | You need to get him up. | 你要叫他起床。 | 
| [17:45] | Mr. Lees, you need to get your son out of bed. | Lees先生,你要叫你儿子起床。 | 
| [17:50] | You got him? | 你接到他了吗? | 
| [17:54] | It’s just a precaution, sweetheart. | 只是个预防措施,宝贝。 | 
| [17:55] | You’re gonna be fine. | 你不会有事的。 | 
| [17:56] | You’re gonna be fine. | 不会有事的。 | 
| [18:14] | Jimmy. | |
| [18:17] | Dr. Manning was right. | Manning医生是对的。 | 
| [18:19] | The boy went into surgery a couple hours ago. | 这孩子几个小时前进了手术室。 | 
| [18:21] | Well, did– did anything happen? | 呃,发生。。。了什么事? | 
| [18:23] | No. | 没什么事。 | 
| [18:25] | I told them. | 我告诉他们了。 | 
| [18:28] | You told them? | 你告诉他们了? | 
| [18:39] | Jimmy informed the parents. | Jimmy通知了家长。 | 
| [18:40] | The boy is in surgery. | 这孩子在手术室里 | 
| [18:43] | Are you out of your mind? | 你疯了吗? | 
| [18:45] | Yeah, I am. | 对,我疯了。 | 
| [18:48] | And you can go tell your client, Mr. Keene, | Keene先生,你可以去通知你的当事人, | 
| [18:50] | if they want to report me to the Bar, go ahead. | 如果他们打算到律师协会举报,随他们便。 | 
| [18:52] | But like you said, the negative publicity will destroy them, | 但如你所说,负面宣传会毁掉他们的 | 
| [18:55] | and I’ll make plenty of noise, trust me. | 而且我也会闹出大动静来,相信我。 | 
| [18:58] | Is that all you thought about, Jimmy, being disbarred? | Jimmy,你就是这么想的吗?被取消律师资格? | 
| [19:01] | You personally and your firm | 你个人和你的事务所 | 
| [19:02] | will be on the hook for any damage award | 将会为超过55万美金的损害赔偿金负责, | 
| [19:04] | above $550,000, you think about that? | 你考虑过这些吗? | 
| [19:06] | I wasn’t gonna let that kid die. | 我不会听任那个孩子死掉的。 | 
| [19:18] | We removed the aneurysm, | 我们摘除了动脉瘤, | 
| [19:19] | clipped it without complications. | 摘除过程没有并发症。 | 
| [19:21] | He’s gonna be fine. | 他会没事的。 | 
| [19:42] | Could they tell whether it was about to burst or not? | 他们能判断出来动脉瘤是否即将破裂吗? | 
| [19:44] | Not really, but it was dangerous enough | 不至于马上会破裂, | 
| [19:46] | that they had to operate right away. | 但也危险到他们必须马上进行手术的程度了 | 
| [19:48] | Was there any bleeding in the brain? | 脑部有出血吗? | 
| [19:49] | No, because it never ruptured. They clipped it. | 没有,因为动脉瘤尚未破裂,他们已经摘除掉了。 | 
| [19:51] | I take it the case isn’t about to settle now. | 我想这个案子现在不会马上达成和解了 | 
| [19:53] | Oh, no. | 噢,不会的 | 
| [19:55] | And… we were fired. | 还有。。。我们被解雇了。 | 
| [19:57] | Sorry. | 对不起。 | 
| [19:58] | I’m proud of you, Jimmy. | 我为你感到骄傲,Jimmy。 | 
| [20:01] | I’ll probably never get my house now, | 我这下可能永远也买不起房子了, | 
| [20:02] | but I’m proud of you. | 但我为你感到骄傲。 | 
| [20:04] | Me, too. | 我也是。 | 
| [20:05] | Jimmy, that was the Board of Bar Overseers. | Jimmy,是律师协会监察委员会的电话。 | 
| [20:10] | You’ve been summoned to appear today at 1:00. | 你被传唤出庭,今天下午一点。 | 
| [20:12] | BOBBY: What? | 什么? | 
| [20:15] | They actually reported me. | 他们还是举报了我。 | 
| [20:16] | I didn’t think they’d dare. | 我觉得他们不敢。 | 
| [20:20] | Brenford Mutual didn’t report you. | Brenford互助基金并没有举报你。 | 
| [20:24] | Who, then? Keene? | 那是谁?Keene? | 
| [20:28] | I reported you, Jimmy. | 是我举报的你,Jimmy | 
| [20:32] | What? | 什么? | 
| [20:35] | Under the Canon of Legal Ethics, | 基于法律道德规范, | 
| [20:37] | I had a duty to report you. | 我有义务举报你。 | 
| [20:39] | And if I had a vote, | 并且如果我有投票权的话, | 
| [20:41] | I’d recommend you be disbarred. | 我会建议取消你的律师资格。 | 
| [21:14] | They’re calling him in at 1:00. | 他们下午一点要传唤他。 | 
| [21:16] | I heard. | 我知道了。 | 
| [21:23] | Why didn’t you check with me first? | 为什么你不先和我商量一下? | 
| [21:25] | Did Jimmy check with you | Jimmy在违反当事人保密特权前和你商量了吗? | 
| [21:27] | before breaking the client’s privilege? | Jimmy在违反当事人保密特权前和你商量了吗? | 
| [21:28] | You revealed a pretty big secret yourself, Eugene. | 你自作主张披露出一个相当重大的秘密。 | 
| [21:31] | Jimmy just told the parents that the kid was sick. | Jimmy只是告诉家长他们的孩子生病了。 | 
| [21:34] | By reporting him to the Bar, | 而把他举报到律师协会, | 
| [21:36] | you revealed that it was the client’s intent not to tell, | 你披露的是当事人故意隐瞒的事实。 | 
| [21:40] | and the publicity of that may be what brings them down. | 继而媒体舆论会让他们垮掉的。 | 
| [21:42] | Did you consider that? | 这一点你考虑过吗? | 
| [21:43] | I considered this– Jimmy should go. | 我考虑过。。。Jimmy该走人了。 | 
| [21:49] | I like him, but– | 我喜欢他,但是。。。 | 
| [21:51] | Actually, right now I’m not even sure I do. | 实际上,此刻我也拿不准是不是这样。 | 
| [21:54] | He put us all at risk, Bobby. | 他把我们所有人置于危险之下,Bobby。 | 
| [21:56] | To flex his conscience, he jeopardized this entire firm, | 为了屈从他的良心,他危害了整个事务所 | 
| [21:59] | same as he did when he stole client funds | 正如他偷了当事人的钱还赌债所做的一样。 | 
| [22:02] | to pay off his gambling debt. | 正如他偷了当事人的钱还赌债所做的一样。 | 
| [22:03] | You should have come to me before– | 你应该先和我商量。。。 | 
| [22:05] | You… would have done nothing. | 你。。。你不会采取任何行动。 | 
| [22:12] | You’re a nice guy. | 你是个善人。 | 
| [22:15] | You would have let it ride because Jimmy’s a nice guy. | 你会因为Jimmy是个好人而不予理会。 | 
| [22:17] | He would have cried, “I’m sorry, | 他会哭着说,“对不起, | 
| [22:18] | it won’t happen again,” and you would have bought it. | 不会再有下一次了”,而你会吃这一套。 | 
| [22:20] | Well, I’m not buying it anymore. | 行了吧,我不会在吃这套了 | 
| [22:22] | I’m not letting him take me down and everybody else. | 我不会让他毁掉我和其他人的 | 
| [22:24] | Enough is enough. | Enough受够了, | 
| [22:26] | He has to face the consequences. | 他必须要面对后果。 | 
| [22:30] | I don’t set a lot of rules here. | 我在这里没有订立过多的规章制度。 | 
| [22:35] | But we don’t turn on each other. | 但是我们不能互相诋毁。 | 
| [22:36] | I didn’t turn on him. | 我没诋毁他。 | 
| [22:38] | He turned on us with what he did. | 是他用他的行为诋毁了我们。 | 
| [22:40] | He put us all at risk. | 他把我们都置于风险之中。 | 
| [22:41] | By my reporting him, I protected the firm, so– | 我举报了他,因此保护了这个事务所,所以。。。 | 
| [22:43] | Oh, so you were protecting us. Damn right. | – 噢,所以你是在保护我们 – 对极了 | 
| [22:45] | Then why not be open about it? | 那为什么不光明正大地呢? | 
| [22:47] | Why not come to me before– | 为什么不事先和我。。。 | 
| [22:48] | Because you would have protected him | 因为你会护着他 | 
| [22:50] | and put the firm at risk, too. | 也会让事务所遭到风险。 | 
| [22:51] | Then aren’t we all lucky | 那以后有你照顾, | 
| [22:54] | to have you to look out for us. | 我们都会很幸运,不是吗 | 
| [22:58] | Imagine how safe you make us feel. | 想象一下你会让我们有什么样的安全感。 | 
| [23:01] | You taking his side, Bobby? | Bobby,你是站在他一边吗? | 
| [23:03] | What he did was wrong. | 他所作所为是错误的。 | 
| [23:06] | But I don’t like what you did, either. | 但我也不赞成你的所作所为。 | 
| [23:10] | And if you think you did it the way you did to protect us… | 如果你认为你这样的处理方式是为了保护我们。。。 | 
| [23:15] | …then you’re lying to yourself. | 。。。那你就是自己骗自己。 | 
| [23:26] | Obviously, we were still processing | 不言而喻,我们还在处理这个新的情况 | 
| [23:28] | the new information and trying to decide what to do. | 并试图做出决定。 | 
| [23:31] | It was an extremely agonizing decision for all involved. | 对所有相关人员来说,这是一个极其痛苦的决定。 | 
| [23:36] | As you left it with Mr. Berluti, | 如同你向Berluti先生交代的一样, | 
| [23:38] | the client’s decision | 当事人的决定是不透露出这个孩子的身体状况。 | 
| [23:39] | was not to reveal the boy’s condition. | 当事人的决定是不透露出这个孩子的身体状况。 | 
| [23:41] | There was nothing to be accomplished | 在那一晚,什么事都没有下定论。 | 
| [23:42] | in the course of the night, | 在那一晚,什么事都没有下定论。 | 
| [23:44] | so general counsel at Brenford Mutual– | Brenford互助基金的法律总顾问。。。 | 
| [23:46] | Mr. Keene, we’ll be here all day if you choose to dance. | Keene先生,如果你选择含糊其辞, 那我们会在这儿耗上一整天。 | 
| [23:50] | I know you’re trying to serve | 我明白你试图维护Brenford互助基金的公共声誉, | 
| [23:51] | the public reputation of Brenford Mutual, | 我明白你试图维护Brenford互助基金的公共声誉, | 
| [23:54] | but that’s not what this hearing is about. | 但这并不是本次听证会的主旨。 | 
| [23:57] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人。 | 
| [23:58] | Mr. Young has reported to us | Young先生向我们举报 | 
| [24:01] | that the client’s unequivocal instruction | 当事人明确的指示是 | 
| [24:03] | was for the attorneys not to reveal | 律师们不能透露当事人告知他们的 | 
| [24:05] | what the client had told them | 有关Jason Lees的医疗状况。 | 
| [24:07] | about Jason Lees’ medical condition. | 有关Jason Lees的医疗状况。 | 
| [24:10] | Is that true, sir? | 先生,是这样吗? | 
| [24:11] | Personally, I believe that that decision | 我个人的理解是这个决定可能会随时改变的。 | 
| [24:13] | was subject to change. | 我个人的理解是这个决定可能会随时改变的。 | 
| [24:15] | Answer my question, Mr. Keene. | 回答我的问题,Keene | 
| [24:19] | Yes. | 是的。 | 
| [24:20] | At the time that Mr. Berluti chose to tell them, | 在Berluti先生选择去说出此事时, | 
| [24:24] | the client’s wishes were that he not do so. | 当事人的意愿是他们不希望这样。 | 
| [24:28] | And from your observation, | 以你的观察, | 
| [24:29] | Mr. Berluti was aware of the client’s wishes. | Berluti先生是了解当事人的意愿的。 | 
| [24:32] | We were all acutely aware, yes. | 是的,我们都非常清楚。 | 
| [24:38] | Okay, we’ll take a short break, | 那好,我们会暂停一会儿, | 
| [24:40] | then resume with Mr. Berluti. | 然后从Berluti开始。 | 
| [24:51] | Okay, my opinion– | 我的意见是。。。 | 
| [24:53] | We just go with straight emotion. | 我们就选择率性而为这个说辞。 | 
| [24:54] | All of this happened so fast. | 这一切发生太快了。 | 
| [24:56] | You certainly did the humane thing. | 你自然是依照人性行事。 | 
| [24:58] | Basically, you went on autopilot, Jimmy. | Jimmy,总的来说,你就是进入了自动驾驶的模式。 | 
| [25:00] | BOBBY: I agree. You’re dead on the law, | 我同意,按法律来你死定了 | 
| [25:02] | and Hiller– we know how she is. | 加之是Hiller法官。。。我们都清楚她如何严守法律 | 
| [25:04] | Just tell them you blew it. Show some remorse. | 干脆说你搞砸了。表现出一些懊悔来。 | 
| [25:07] | They can’t be without compassion. | 他们不会没有同情心。 | 
| [25:10] | Okay. | 那好吧。 | 
| [25:12] | Jimmy? | |
| [25:15] | Are you okay? | 你还好吗? | 
| [25:17] | I’m fine. | 我没事。 | 
| [25:30] | Is the hearing going on now? | 听证会现在开着吗? | 
| [25:32] | We’re on a break. | 中间休息一下。 | 
| [25:36] | But it’s a closed session, Mr. Lees. | 但这是不对外开放的,Lees先生 | 
| [25:37] | You can’t go in. | 你不能进去 | 
| [25:41] | Where’s Mr. Berluti? | Berluti先生在哪儿? | 
| [25:43] | He’s, uh, meeting with his lawyers. | 他在,呃,和他的律师在开会。 | 
| [25:48] | How’s your son? | 你儿子怎么样了? | 
| [25:50] | Do you care, Mr. Young? | Young先生,你会关心吗? | 
| [25:55] | Look, Mr. Lees, please try to understand. | Lees先生,请尽量去理解。 | 
| [26:00] | In the legal profession, | 在法律界, | 
| [26:02] | there’s a certain code… | 有一种特定的道德准则。。。 | 
| [26:07] | …that we have to live with. | 。。。是必须去学会去适应的。 | 
| [26:09] | Then you live with it, Mr. Young. | 而你学会去适应了,Young先生。 | 
| [26:13] | You live with it. | 你适应的很好。 | 
| [26:21] | I think, you know, emotion got the better of me. | 我觉得,你们明白的,情感战胜了我的理智 | 
| [26:24] | I kind of snapped. | 我有些失控了 | 
| [26:26] | You kind of snapped. | 你有些失控了。 | 
| [26:27] | Like insanity? | 类似于精神病? | 
| [26:28] | No, no. I knew what I was doing, | 不,不,我知道我在干嘛。 | 
| [26:31] | and I admit what I did was wrong. | 而且我承认我犯了错 | 
| [26:35] | But, uh, let’s not forget | 但是,呃,不要忘了这可能挽救了一条生命。 | 
| [26:37] | a life was maybe saved. | 但是,呃,不要忘了这可能挽救了一条生命。 | 
| [26:38] | That boy could have died. | 那个孩子可能会死的。 | 
| [26:40] | I’m a little confused. | 我有点糊涂了。 | 
| [26:42] | You say you admit what you did was wrong, | 你说你承认你所做的是错误的, | 
| [26:45] | then you go on to defend it. | 然后你却为之辩解。 | 
| [26:46] | Do you think it was wrong or don’t you? | 你觉得是错了还是没错? | 
| [26:49] | Well, I knew it was wrong under the law, | 这个,我认为从法律而言是错了, | 
| [26:52] | but on a human level, I guess I feel justified. | 但从人性的角度来看,我觉得是合乎情理的。 | 
| [26:55] | So you chose to commit a knowing violation of the law | 那么说你明知故犯是因为你不赞同那条法律? | 
| [26:59] | because you disagreed with that law? | 那么说你明知故犯是因为你不赞同那条法律? | 
| [27:03] | It was a very emotional night. | 那晚我情绪十分激动。 | 
| [27:04] | So absent that emotion, as you sit here today, | 那么排除情绪影响,就如你今天坐在这里, | 
| [27:08] | if you had it to do all over again, | 如果你从头再来一次, | 
| [27:11] | your reflective choice would be | 你经过深思后的选择应该是 | 
| [27:13] | to preserve the client’s secret. | 保守当事人的秘密。 | 
| [27:16] | You wouldn’t tell the parents. | 你不会告诉那对儿家长的。 | 
| [27:19] | Do I state it correctly, Mr. Berluti? | 我表述的正确吗,Berluti? | 
| [27:28] | Mr. Berluti? | |
| [27:30] | Do I state it correctly? | 我表述的正确吗? | 
| [27:38] | No, you do not, Your Honor. | 不,不正确,法官大人。 | 
| [27:41] | If I had to do it all over again, | 如果我从头再来一次, | 
| [27:43] | I’d do exactly the same thing. | 我也会做完全相同的事。 | 
| [27:45] | I wouldn’t let that kid die. | 我不会让那孩子死的。 | 
| [27:47] | Would you? | 你会吗? | 
| [27:48] | I wouldn’t even ask myself the question, sir. | 先生,我甚至不会去问自己这样的问题。 | 
| [27:51] | We don’t consult our personal feelings | 我们不能在具体个案上考虑个人感受。 | 
| [27:53] | on a case-by-case basis. | 我们不能在具体个案上考虑个人感受。 | 
| [27:56] | As officers of the court, we abide by the law, | 作为法庭人员,我们遵守法律, | 
| [27:58] | and under the law, there is no real question here. | 并基于法律,这里不存在真正的问题。 | 
| [28:01] | With all due respect, Your Honor, | 尊敬的法官大人, | 
| [28:02] | if you feel that way, then– | 如果您有这样感受,那么。。。 | 
| [28:04] | It’s not up to us to feel. That’s what– | 这不是取决于我们的感受。而是。。。 | 
| [28:07] | But we do. | 但我们确实有感受。 | 
| [28:08] | Whether the law says we can or not, we feel. | 不管法律怎么要求我们,我们总是有感受的。 | 
| [28:12] | And if you can be that cold about it, | 如果你对此如此漠视。 | 
| [28:14] | I don’t care how good a judge you are, | 我不管你是一个多么优秀的法官, | 
| [28:16] | you’re not my idea of a human being. | 但你不符合我心目中对人的看法。 | 
| [28:18] | Jimmy– No, I don’t care. – Jimmy | – 不,我不在乎。 | 
| [28:19] | I won’t be judged by the three of you. | 我不会由你们三个人来评判我。 | 
| [28:23] | I won’t be judged by you. | 我也不会由你来评判我。 | 
| [28:28] | If we’re a society of laws, | 如果我们是一个法治社会, | 
| [28:31] | if we’re a society that says let that kid die, | 如果我们是一个任由那孩子死去的社会, | 
| [28:34] | then the society needs adjusting. | 那这个社会就需要有所改变。 | 
| [28:36] | So we should let every lawyer act | 这么说,我们应该允许每个律师的行为基于他自己的良知, | 
| [28:38] | according to his or her own conscience | 这么说,我们应该允许每个律师的行为基于他自己的良知, | 
| [28:40] | with no regard for what the rules mandate. | 而不用考虑规则的约束。 | 
| [28:42] | The rules should have regard for a conscience. | 这些规则应该考虑到良知。 | 
| [28:44] | Yours? | 指你的良知吗? | 
| [28:46] | Mr. Young’s conscience might tell him to preserve | Young先生的良知或许是让他维护当事人的信任 | 
| [28:48] | the trusted confidence of a client. | Young先生的良知或许是让他维护当事人的信任 | 
| [28:50] | Mr. Young doesn’t act out of conscience. | Young先生的行为并非出于良知。 | 
| [28:53] | Pick another example. | 还是换另一个人来举例吧。 | 
| [28:55] | I think we understand your position. | 我想我们理解你的立场。 | 
| [28:57] | You don’t believe what you did is wrong, | 你不认为你的行为是错误的。 | 
| [29:00] | and faced with the same choices, | 面对同样的选择时, | 
| [29:02] | you’d do the same thing over again. | 你会再次选择同样的做法。 | 
| [29:05] | Yes. | 是的。 | 
| [29:09] | Okay, I think we’re done. | 那好,我想我们可以结束了。 | 
| [29:23] | How’d it go? | 情况如何? | 
| [29:25] | Not well. | 不太好。 | 
| [29:26] | Did they rule? | 他们出裁决了吗? | 
| [29:27] | Under advisement. | 还在考虑中。 | 
| [29:29] | ELLENOR: Okay, thank you. I appreciate it. | 好的,谢谢你, | 
| [29:32] | They’re willing to let me make a brief summation | 他们愿意在决定前,让我做一个简短的总结 | 
| [29:34] | before they decide, so I’m gonna get to work on it. | 我会马上就此做准备。 | 
| [29:38] | I don’t have a conscience? | 我没有良知? | 
| [29:39] | No, Eugene, you don’t. | 对,Eugene,你没有。 | 
| [29:42] | BOBBY: All right. | 算了吧。 | 
| [29:44] | It’s all too easy for you. Jimmy. – Jimmy | – 这一切对你来说都不算回事 | 
| [29:46] | What’d you do last night, go home, flick on a ball game? | 你昨晚在家做了些什么,看几眼球赛? | 
| [29:48] | EUGENE: You did the easy thing, Jimmy. | Jimmy,你倒是做了件轻松的事。 | 
| [29:50] | BOBBY: I don’t want to hear any of this. | 我不希望再听你们谈下去了。 | 
| [29:51] | Well, I want to say it. | 我想谈谈这事。 | 
| [29:53] | We all wanted to tell. Of course we did, | 我们都想把新信息说出去,我们当然都是这样想的。 | 
| [29:56] | but we were bound by ethical duties– | 但是我们受到道德义务的约束。。。 | 
| [29:58] | duties we swore to uphold even when– | 这是我们发誓要于以维护的,即使。。。 | 
| [29:59] | Tell me about ethics. You– I am telling you. | – 跟我谈谈道德吧,你。。。 – 我正在跟你谈 | 
| [30:02] | You falsified loan documents. You got fired from a bank. | 你伪造了贷款文件。你被银行解雇了。 | 
| [30:06] | That’s how you got hired here in the first place. | 你最初就是这样被雇用来这里的。 | 
| [30:07] | Old news. A month ago, | – 这些都过去了 – 一个月前, | 
| [30:08] | you stole from a client to pay off your bookie. | 你偷了一个客户的钱来还债。 | 
| [30:11] | I damn well will tell you about ethics. | 我巴不得跟你谈谈道德呢。 | 
| [30:12] | You’re a thief. | 你就是个贼。 | 
| [30:16] | And last night, you forked over a client. | 昨晚,你背弃了一个客户。 | 
| [30:19] | Was it a popular thing to do? | 做这样的事受到赞誉吗? | 
| [30:21] | I’m sure, yes, they’ll probably give you a medal for it, | 我确信如此,是啊,他们可能会因此给你颁奖, | 
| [30:23] | but it’s not what we do. | 但这不是我们该做的。 | 
| [30:26] | Not to the client. | 不应对客户做的。 | 
| [30:27] | And as lawyers, Jimmy, | Jimmy,作为一个律师。 | 
| [30:29] | we owe them our trust– our trust! | 我们在诚信上欠了他们。。。我们的诚信! | 
| [30:32] | You’re not trustworthy. | 你不值得信赖。 | 
| [30:33] | You put no premium on what it means to be a lawyer. | 你不重视作为一个律师意味着什么。 | 
| [30:37] | You disgraced everybody here, | 你让这里的每个人都蒙羞, | 
| [30:38] | and you may have put us all | 你可能让我们所有人因此陷入停业中。 | 
| [30:40] | out of business in the process. | 你可能让我们所有人因此陷入停业中。 | 
| [30:43] | You want to call yourself a friend, Jimmy? | 你想自称是一个朋友吗,Jimmy? | 
| [30:47] | You’re not my friend. | 你不是我的朋友。 | 
| [30:55] | You done? | 你说完了? | 
| [30:59] | How convenient for you I’m a gambling addict | 我是个赌徒或者我偷了钱, | 
| [31:02] | or that I stole that money. | 用这些对你来说多方便呀 | 
| [31:05] | Makes it so easy for you to conclude | 这很容易让你推断出你有一些道德上的优越感 | 
| [31:07] | you got some moral superiority going. | 这很容易让你推断出你有一些道德上的优越感 | 
| [31:09] | You’re more ethical, so, hey, | 你更具有道德些,所以,嘿, | 
| [31:11] | you must be right on this, huh, Eugene? | 呵呵,Eugene,你就一定是正确的? | 
| [31:14] | But you’re not right. | 但你不是。 | 
| [31:16] | You would have let that kid’s head explode. | 你会任由那孩子脑袋爆掉的。 | 
| [31:19] | You’re not right. | 你不是正确的。 | 
| [31:21] | And going behind my back– | 而在我背后搞小动作。。。 | 
| [31:24] | Well, I guess that makes you… | 好吧,我猜那会使你。。。 | 
| [31:27] | …friend. | 。。。够朋友。 | 
| [31:32] | Why didn’t you resign, Jimmy? | Jimmy,你为什么不辞职呢? | 
| [31:36] | You’re about to go blow a confidence, | 你即将去泄露秘密, | 
| [31:38] | put the firm at risk | 使事务所承受至少一百万美元的渎职索赔风险 | 
| [31:40] | for a million-dollar malpractice claim, minimum. | 使事务所承受至少一百万美元的渎职索赔风险 | 
| [31:44] | Why not quit first to protect us? | 你为什么不先辞职以保护我们大家呢? | 
| [31:47] | Your conscience ever give that a thought? | 你的良知可曾使你对此考虑一下? | 
| [31:53] | Nope. | 没有 | 
| [31:55] | But I’ll tell you this– | 但我要告诉你。。。 | 
| [31:57] | I quit now. | 我现在辞职。 | 
| [32:21] | …one man who scored 189 career touchdowns… | 。。。一个在职业生涯中触地得分189次的人 | 
| [32:26] | …his high-powered offense, and y’all won’t believe– | 。。。他的强力进攻,你们都不敢相信。。。 | 
| [32:41] | I don’t want you to quit. | 我不希望你辞职。 | 
| [32:44] | I know you don’t, Bobby, but– | Bobby,我知道你不希望,但是。。。 | 
| [32:45] | This was an extreme situation. | 这是一个极端的情况 | 
| [32:50] | For my money, you took us all off the hook. | 依我看,你把我们大家都从困局中解脱出来了。 | 
| [32:55] | We all want you back. | 我们都希望你回来。 | 
| [32:58] | It kinda begs the question of whether | 这有点回避了问题的实质, | 
| [32:59] | I even get to practice law. | 那就是我是否能做从业律师。 | 
| [33:02] | Ellenor’s been working all night on her statement. | Ellenor通宵都在准备她的陈词。 | 
| [33:04] | Let’s not sell her short. | 我们别小看她。 | 
| [33:08] | You people have been so good to me, Bobby. | Bobby,你们大家对我很好。 | 
| [33:13] | I know I haven’t lived up to… | 我知道我还没有达到。。。 | 
| [33:17] | You really believe that? | 你真的这么想? | 
| [33:20] | Overall, I’ve been a liability. | 总的来说,我一直是个累赘。 | 
| [33:26] | You still think of yourself as Jimmy the Grunt? | 你还自认为是草根Jimmy吗? 自称the grunt降低身份) | 
| [33:29] | Do you ever stop to consider | 你可曾停下来去想想 | 
| [33:30] | what a great trial lawyer you’ve become? | 你已经成为一个多伟大的出庭律师了吗? | 
| [33:32] | Did you pause for a second | 你有片刻想到过为什么Brenford互助基金 | 
| [33:34] | to wonder why Brenford Mutual hired you here? | 会雇你办这个案子吗? | 
| [33:39] | You’ve become a gifted trial lawyer. | 你已经成为一名天才的出庭律师 | 
| [33:43] | Now you tell me. | 现在你告诉我。 | 
| [33:44] | As it’s all about to end. | 因为这一切即将结束了。 | 
| [33:47] | Suppose it doesn’t end. | 假设这不会结束。 | 
| [33:50] | Will you come back? | 你愿意回来吗? | 
| [33:54] | Of course I don’t want to leave. | 我当然不愿意离开。 | 
| [34:07] | Working pretty late. | 这么晚还在工作呀。 | 
| [34:10] | Just hanging out with all my friends. | 只是和我的朋友们在一起。 | 
| [34:14] | You don’t think we’re your friends now, Eugene? | Eugene,你现在不觉得我们是你的朋友了吧? | 
| [34:17] | I don’t know, Rebecca. | 我说不清,Rebecca, | 
| [34:20] | I just see and hear you all cheering for Jimmy. | 我只是听到你们为Jimmy欢呼。 | 
| [34:24] | Eugene, we’re standing by him | Eugene,我们站在他一边 | 
| [34:26] | not because we necessarily agree with him, | 不是因为我们一定赞同他, | 
| [34:28] | but because he’s family. | 而是因为他是家里人。 | 
| [34:33] | You went outside of the family on this one. | 你在这件事上脱离了这个大家庭。 | 
| [34:38] | It was the right thing to do. | 这是正确的做法。 | 
| [34:48] | Clearly, you think that. | 显然,你是这么认为的。 | 
| [34:57] | The circumstances were extremely exigent– | 这种情况是非常紧急的。。。 | 
| [35:00] | a human life hanging in the balance. | 一个生命悬于一线。 | 
| [35:03] | Nobody could presume to know the vise | 没有人能设想Jimmy Berluti | 
| [35:05] | Jimmy Berluti was in two nights ago. | 在前天晚上所承受的左右为难的压力。 | 
| [35:07] | Ms. Frutt, I’m sorry. I have to stop you. | Frutt女士,对不起。我必须打断你。 | 
| [35:10] | Lawyers are trained to make difficult decisions. | 律师接受过去做出艰难决定的训练。 | 
| [35:13] | You people, of all people, make them daily. | 你们这些人,所有这些人,每天都在做这样的事。 | 
| [35:16] | I’ve watched you do it in my courtroom. | 我在法庭上看到过你这么做。 | 
| [35:18] | Not with these kinds of stakes. | 但不是那种如同绑在火刑柱上的煎熬 | 
| [35:20] | Look, arguing his compassion isn’t going to fly. | 听着,用他的同情心来做辩解不会有效果的。 | 
| [35:23] | Do I get to give my closing? | 我可以开始陈述了吗? | 
| [35:25] | Yes, you do, but I’m advising you | 是的,可以,但是我劝你别用对我们打情感牌 | 
| [35:26] | not to whack us on the head with emotion, | 是的,可以,但是我劝你别用对我们打情感牌 | 
| [35:28] | especially since your client says he’d do it all over again. | 尤其是因为你的客户说他会再做一次的。 | 
| [35:33] | He has a problem. | 他出了问题。 | 
| [35:35] | You got the problem. Jimmy. – Jimmy | – 你才有问题呢 | 
| [35:37] | Since you don’t want to let Ellenor talk, how about giving me a chance? | 因为你都不让Ellenor说话,何谈给我机会? | 
| [35:40] | HILLER: I thought we heard you clearly yesterday, | 我认为我们昨天已经听清楚了你的说法 | 
| [35:43] | but if you have more to say, I’m sure we’re all quite rapt. | 但如果你还有要说的,我确信我们会仔细聆听的。 | 
| [35:48] | I’ve made a lot of mistakes, | 我犯过很多错误, | 
| [35:50] | but telling those parents to take their son to a hospital | 但这次告诉这对儿家长送他们儿子去医院 | 
| [35:53] | wasn’t one of them. | 并不算其中之一。 | 
| [35:55] | Yes, it was. | 不对,这是一次错误。 | 
| [35:56] | You don’t get to decide when you follow the rules | 什么时候遵守规则,什么时候不遵守规则 | 
| [35:59] | and when you won’t. | 不由得你来选。 | 
| [36:00] | Otherwise, what kind of anarchy would we have? | 否则,我们会处于何种无政府状态? | 
| [36:04] | If the rules are a lawyer can’t tell a boy or his family | 如果这个规则是一个律师 不能告知一个孩子或他的家长 | 
| [36:08] | that he has a life-threatening medical situation, | 他有危及生命的病情, | 
| [36:11] | an emergency that could kill him any second, | 一个随时使他致命的紧急情况, | 
| [36:14] | if the rules say don’t tell, you got a problem. | 如果这个规则规定不能去告知,你就有问题了 | 
| [36:18] | You all have a problem. | 你们全都有问题了。 | 
| [36:20] | This system has a problem. | 这个系统有问题了。 | 
| [36:22] | I’m sorry. Is it us on trial now? | 对不起打断一下,现在是我们在受审吗? | 
| [36:25] | Maybe you should be. | 也许你们就该受审。 | 
| [36:28] | The adversarial process stopped being about the truth | 法律的对抗体制很早以来 | 
| [36:31] | a long time ago. | 就不再是关乎事实真相了 | 
| [36:32] | The adversaries lie to each other. | 对抗双方互相撒谎。 | 
| [36:34] | We lie and tell false truths every day, | 我们每天都撒谎说假话, | 
| [36:37] | and you wonder why nobody respects us? | 你想知道为什么没有人尊重我们吗? | 
| [36:41] | It started off being about fairness and due process, | 这始于公平和正当的法律程序, | 
| [36:44] | and it’s become about winning. | 并变成了只在乎胜负输赢。 | 
| [36:46] | And now we’re to sit quiet | 而今当一个无辜的孩子脑中存有一颗定时炸弹时 我们可以安然坐视? | 
| [36:50] | while an innocent kid has a time bomb in his head? | 而今当一个无辜的孩子脑中存有一颗定时炸弹时 我们可以安然坐视? | 
| [36:53] | We’re duty-bound to let him die out of privilege? | 我们任其因保密特权而死是责无旁贷的吗? | 
| [36:57] | And you expect the public to admire our profession? | 而你们还希望公众来赞赏我们的职业吗? | 
| [37:00] | A person who’s honorable, | 一个值得尊敬的人, | 
| [37:02] | a person with integrity, | 一个正直的人, | 
| [37:04] | a person who believes that a human life has sanctity | 一个认为人之生命具有神圣性的人 | 
| [37:07] | doesn’t let an innocent child die. | 不会让一个无辜的孩子去死的。 | 
| [37:12] | I said this yesterday and I’ll say it again. | 我昨天这么说过,我现在会再说一次。 | 
| [37:16] | I will not be judged by you. | 我不应由你们来评判。 | 
| [37:46] | Listen… | 听着。。。 | 
| [37:48] | I, uh, know I’ve been stomping my foot | 我,呃,我知道我一直情绪激昂义愤填膺 | 
| [37:51] | with a lot of righteous indignation, | 我,呃,我知道我一直情绪激昂义愤填膺 | 
| [37:54] | but, uh, Eugene was right about one thing. | 但是,呃,有一件事Eugene是对的。 | 
| [37:59] | I should have had the decency | 我本该在事先体面地辞职。。。 | 
| [38:00] | to quit before I… | 我本该在事先体面地辞职。。。 | 
| [38:02] | I just… didn’t think to do it. | 我只是。。。没有想到这一点。 | 
| [38:07] | I’m sorry for putting the firm at risk. | 我很抱歉使事务所陷入危险中。 | 
| [38:13] | Anyway… | 就这样吧。。。 | 
| [38:17] | May I see you a moment in private? | 我可以和你私下聊几句吗? | 
| [38:20] | I don’t want to get into it anymore with you. | 我不想和你再谈这事了。 | 
| [38:22] | May I see you in private, Jimmy? | Jimmy,我可以和你私下聊几句吗? | 
| [38:34] | The reason I, uh… | 理由是,我,呃。。。 | 
| [38:42] | My brother… | 我哥哥。。。 | 
| [38:45] | He died in prison serving time | 他被错判服刑,死于狱中。 | 
| [38:47] | for something he didn’t do. | 他被错判服刑,死于狱中。 | 
| [38:49] | The police coerced a confession that– | 警方逼供使他承认。。。 | 
| [38:55] | The police– they had no regard for the system. | 警方。。。他们漠视这个体系。 | 
| [38:59] | And if the day comes | 而如果有一天 | 
| [39:01] | that lawyers start giving up their clients, | 律师们也开始背弃他们的当事人 | 
| [39:03] | giving up their secrets, then the system has– | 放弃保守他们的秘密,那这个体系。。。 | 
| [39:12] | I’ve put more murderers back out there than I can count | 我以这个体系的名义,已经使我都数不清的谋杀犯逍遥法外。 | 
| [39:15] | in the name of the system. | 我以这个体系的名义,已经使我都数不清的谋杀犯逍遥法外。 | 
| [39:16] | I need to believe in its legitimacy. | 我必须要相信其合法性。 | 
| [39:23] | I went home the other night… | 我那天晚上回家。。。 | 
| [39:26] | …and I wanted to tell that family | 。。。我想去告诉那家人。 | 
| [39:28] | just like we all did, and, uh, | 就像我们大家都想的那样,但,呃, | 
| [39:30] | I kept telling myself I had no choice. | 我不断告诉自己我没有选择 | 
| [39:33] | The rules were clear, I had no choice, | 规则是清楚的,我没有选择余地 | 
| [39:36] | and I was prepared to let that boy die, | 我是准备让那孩子死掉的。 | 
| [39:38] | but what you did… | 但你所做的。。。 | 
| [39:40] | was point out… | 说明。。。 | 
| [39:43] | …I had a choice. | 。。。我是有选择的。 | 
| [39:48] | A choice you made that I… | 一个你做出的选择,而我。。。 | 
| [39:51] | I didn’t. | 我没有去做。 | 
| [39:53] | I suppose, uh… | 我想,呃。。。 | 
| [39:58] | You, uh… | 你,呃。。。 | 
| [40:01] | you did what you did and was acting out of emotion. | 你做了你所做的,而且是出于情感。 | 
| [40:04] | My doing what I did– | 我所做的。。。 | 
| [40:07] | reporting you, going outside of the family– | 举报你,脱离了这个大家庭。。。 | 
| [40:09] | I was acting on emotion as well. | 我也是出于情感。 | 
| [40:14] | Anyway, I, uh… | 不管怎么说,我,呃。。。 | 
| [40:18] | You’re good with me. | 我与你和好了。 | 
| [40:22] | And I hope in time I’ll be good with you. | 我希望过段时间你会与我和好。 | 
| [40:31] | They’re back with their ruling. | 他们做出裁决了。 | 
| [40:48] | Mr. Berluti, you touched on a number of themes | Berluti先生,你提到的很多和我想法相近的主题思想 | 
| [40:51] | that are very close to me. | Berluti先生,你提到的很多和我想法相近的主题思想 | 
| [40:53] | It’s true, we no longer impose | 事实上,我们不再强求律师要有负有正直的责任。 | 
| [40:56] | the burden on attorneys to be honorable, | 的确,我们不再强求律师要有负有正直的责任。 | 
| [40:59] | and that’s unfortunate, if not disgraceful. | 如果这不算可耻的话,那也是不幸的。 | 
| [41:03] | But it’s also true, | 但还有一个事实是, | 
| [41:05] | which you know full well, | 你很清楚 | 
| [41:07] | legal ethics and morality | 法律准则和道德伦理 | 
| [41:10] | are not only two distinct concepts, | 不仅是两个截然不同的概念 | 
| [41:12] | they’re quite often mutually exclusive. | 而且它们常常互相排斥。 | 
| [41:15] | And if lawyers start letting personal morality | 如果律师开始放任个人道德做为他们的行为指南。 | 
| [41:20] | be their compass, | 如果律师开始放任个人道德做为他们的行为指南。 | 
| [41:22] | the system and all the participants in it | 这个体系及其所有参与者会集体迷失的。 | 
| [41:24] | are collectively lost. | 这个体系及其所有参与者会集体迷失的。 | 
| [41:27] | So we carve out rules, many of them quite strict. | 所以我们制定了规则,其中很多都很严格。 | 
| [41:31] | And the strictest, perhaps the most paramount, | 最严格的,也许是最重要的,是有关当事人的信任。 | 
| [41:35] | goes to client trust. | 最严格的,也许是最重要的,是有关当事人的信任。 | 
| [41:37] | What a client tells his lawyer | 一个当事人对他的律师所说的话, | 
| [41:40] | is sacrosanct. | 是神圣而不可质疑的。 | 
| [41:42] | The attorney doesn’t get to decide | 律师不能决定他何时遵从何时可以不遵从。 | 
| [41:45] | when he’ll honor the privilege and when he won’t. | 律师不能决定他何时遵从何时可以不遵从。 | 
| [41:49] | You broke that seal, Mr. Berluti. | Berluti,你破坏了规矩。 | 
| [41:54] | The rule we hold most dear– | 我们最珍视的规则。。。 | 
| [41:56] | you broke it, | 你破坏了它 | 
| [41:57] | and your moral preaching aside, | 抛开你的道德说教 | 
| [41:59] | there’s no excuse for it. | 这是没有借口的。 | 
| [42:01] | None. | 什么借口也没有 | 
| [42:06] | That having been said, | 已经说过了, | 
| [42:09] | this board does have discretion | 这个委员会对于如何处理你具有决定权。 | 
| [42:11] | as to what we do with you. | 这个委员会对于如何处理你具有决定权。 | 
| [42:12] | We applied a very unscientific test back there. | 我们在合议时做了一个非常不科学的测试。 | 
| [42:15] | We asked ourselves | 我们问自己 | 
| [42:17] | is the profession of law better served | 让你留下还是离开, | 
| [42:19] | with you in it or out of it? | 哪一种对于法律界老说会更好些? | 
| [42:25] | We decided… | 我们的决定是。。。 | 
| [42:27] | better to have you in it. | 让你留下来会好些 | 
| [42:32] | You’re suspended for three weeks. | 你被暂停从业资格三周。 | 
| [42:35] | We are adjourned. | 休庭。 | 
| [42:49] | How about that? | 这是怎么了? | 
| [42:51] | I survive. | 我大难不死。 | 
| [42:56] | Come on, we’ve already blown most of the day. | 走吧,我们几乎浪费了一整天, | 
| [42:59] | Let’s get back to work. | 赶紧回去工作吧 |