时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | I don’t understand. You’ve got all the evidence. | 我不理解,你们已经掌握了所有的证据。 |
[00:07] | He knows he killed her. What defense could he have? | 他知道他杀了她。他用什么理由来辩护呢? |
[00:09] | Honestly, I don’t know. | 说实在的,我也不知道。 |
[00:11] | I thought insanity, | 我认为是用精神失常吧, |
[00:12] | but I guess they can’t find a shrink willing to testify. | 但我猜他们找不到愿意帮他作证的心理医生。 |
[00:17] | I prayed he’d plead guilty so this would be over. | 我期望他会认罪,这样就了结了。 |
[00:25] | Well, we don’t start for another hour. | 那好,我们再过一个小时才开始 |
[00:27] | We can still offer him a deal. | 我们还能给他提出一个交易。 |
[00:32] | What kind of deal? | 什么样的交易条件? |
[00:34] | Murder two, and that’s a gift. | 二级谋杀,这算是一份大礼了。 |
[00:38] | That’s still life, man. | 还是终身监禁呀,伙计。 |
[00:39] | With the possibility of parole. | 是可以允许假释的。 |
[00:42] | No. No. | 不行,不行。 |
[00:43] | Daryl, you have no defense. | Daryl,你没有辩护的理由。 |
[00:45] | Your semen was found in the victim. | 受害人身上发现了你的精液 |
[00:47] | I made love with her earlier. | 我早些时候和她做的爱。 |
[00:48] | Your prints are on the murder weapon. | 凶器上有你的指纹。 |
[00:50] | A witness saw you run out of her apartment | 有证人看到你在她被谋杀时从她的公寓里跑出来。 |
[00:52] | at the time she was murdered. | 有证人看到你在她被谋杀时从她的公寓里跑出来。 |
[00:54] | The witness got it wrong, Mr. Young. | 证人弄错了, Youn先生。 |
[00:56] | It’s as simple as that. | 就这么简单。 |
[00:57] | Well, she seems pretty sure. | 她似乎是很肯定。 |
[00:59] | She got it wrong. | 她弄错了。 |
[01:02] | A friend of mine in his trial called this doctor witness. | 我的一个朋友在受审的时候找过一个博士做证人。 |
[01:05] | He talked about how some white people | 他谈到一些白人不能区分黑人。。。 |
[01:07] | can’t tell black people apart– | 他谈到一些白人不能区分黑人。。。 |
[01:08] | some disease or something like that. | 是某种病或者类似的东西。 |
[01:10] | That witness has got that disease is all. | 那证人有这种病,就这么回事。 |
[01:13] | We gotta call this doctor. | 我们要传那个博士作证。 |
[01:16] | I don’t think race is an issue here, Daryl. | 我不认为在这个案子里,种族是个问题,Daryl |
[01:18] | You don’t understand, Mr. Young. | 你没弄明白,Young先生。 |
[01:21] | I’m instructing you to make it an issue. | 我在命令你把这变成一个问题。 |
[02:16] | What do you mean you want out? | 你说退出是什么意思? |
[02:18] | Just what I’m saying, Your Honor. | 我就是要退出。法官大人。 |
[02:19] | The trial is set to start in 40 minutes. | 还有40分钟就要开庭了。 |
[02:21] | My client and I have insurmountable differences | 我和我的当事人之间有无法克服的分歧, |
[02:23] | which would have. Such as? | – 这会造成。。。 – 比如什么? |
[02:25] | That’s privileged. | 那是不必公开。 |
[02:28] | Let’s just say it’s about strategy and ethics. | 我们可以将其视为与辩护策略和道德准则有关。 |
[02:31] | Eugene, every lawyer seems to have insurmountable differences | Eugene,每个律师似乎都在法庭指派案件上 |
[02:35] | with the court-appointed cases. | 有些无法克服的分歧。 |
[02:37] | I’m telling you this one is real. | 我跟您说这回是真的有。 |
[02:39] | You know me well enough to know that if I say it, | 你对我够了解的,如果我这么说了, |
[02:41] | it is real. | 那就是真有分歧。 |
[02:42] | I’m not letting you out for a strategy difference. | 我不允许你因为辩护策略上的分歧而退出。 |
[02:46] | Forget it. | 别指望了。 |
[02:47] | Your Honor, I’m asking a favor here. | 法官大人,我这是在求您。 |
[02:51] | I can’t let you out. | 我不能让你退出。 |
[02:53] | Not now. | 这次不行。 |
[03:01] | When did they take him in? | 他们什么时候把他关起来的? |
[03:02] | Three weeks ago. | 三周前。 |
[03:03] | And they wouldn’t tell you anything? | 他们什么也不会告诉你吗? |
[03:05] | The only thing I know is that the FBI has him somewhere. | 我只知道联邦调查局把他关在某处。 |
[03:09] | I hired a lawyer. He got nowhere. | 我雇了一个律师,但他一无所获 |
[03:12] | I hate coming to a patient, but I– | 我不愿来找自己的病人帮忙,但是我。。。 |
[03:14] | No problem. Your husband’s first name? | 没关系,你丈夫的名字? |
[03:17] | FORD: Bill. Bill。 | |
[03:18] | Bill Ford. And his middle initial? – Bill Ford | – 中间名首字母呢? |
[03:20] | Habib. | |
[03:22] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[03:23] | Ford is my maiden name. | Ford是我娘家的姓 |
[03:24] | My husband’s last name is Habib. | 我的丈夫姓Habib |
[03:31] | All I’m saying, I just think if the FBI picked him up, | 我只想说,我认为既然FBI抓了他, |
[03:35] | they must have had a good reason. | 他们一定是有充分理由的。 |
[03:37] | This woman is my doctor, Jimmy. | 这个女人是我的医生,Jimmy。 |
[03:39] | Her husband’s been in this country for 30 years. | 她丈夫到这个国家30年了。 |
[03:42] | Why’d they grab him? Just because he’s Arab? | 他们为什么要抓他?就因为他是阿拉伯人? |
[03:45] | He’s Arab-American, and we don’t know why they grabbed him. | 他是阿拉伯裔美国人,我们不知道他们为什么要抓他。 |
[03:48] | They’re not telling us. | 他们没有告诉我们。 |
[03:50] | Like I said, the last time I checked, | 我说过,据我掌握的情况, |
[03:52] | The police don’t arrest people for no reason. | 警察不会无缘无故抓人的。 |
[03:55] | When is the last time you checked? | 你是什么时候掌握这些情况的? |
[04:04] | Linda McLaughlin was the first person in her family | Linda McLaughlin是她的家族里第一个上了大学的人 |
[04:07] | to go to college. | Linda McLaughlin是她的家族里第一个上了大学的人 |
[04:09] | These are her parents. | 那是她的父母。 |
[04:12] | The evidence will show that on November 19th of last year, | 证据会显示在去年11月19日, |
[04:15] | their daughter, Linda, walked out of the campus grocery store | 他们的女儿,Linda,走出校园杂货店 |
[04:19] | and was accosted by the defendant, | 遇到被告过来搭讪, |
[04:22] | Daryl Johnson, | 就是Daryl Johnson |
[04:24] | A homeless man who panhandles in the area. | 一个在那一带乞讨的流浪汉。 |
[04:28] | Daryl followed Linda home… | Daryl尾随Linda回家。。。 |
[04:31] | raped her… | 强奸了她。。。 |
[04:34] | then beat her to death. | 将其殴打致死。 |
[04:37] | After we prove it, | 在我们证实这一切后, |
[04:39] | I will ask you to find Daryl Johnson guilty | 我要求你们裁定Daryl Johnson一级谋杀罪名成立 |
[04:41] | of murder in the first degree. | 我要求你们裁定Daryl Johnson一级谋杀罪名成立 |
[04:48] | Mr. Young? | |
[04:55] | Mr. Young? | |
[05:02] | The evidence will not establish | 证据无法证实 |
[05:03] | that Daryl Johnson committed this crime. | Daryl Johnson犯下所控罪行。 |
[05:07] | the evidence will establish that the police arrested him | 证据只能证实警察对他的逮捕 |
[05:10] | simply because he fit the profile in their minds | 只是因为他符合他们心目中的 |
[05:13] | of the type of person who would commit this particular crime. | 会犯下这种特定罪行的那一类罪犯的形象。 |
[05:31] | RENFORD: I’m special agent Charles Renford. | 我是特别探员Charles Renford |
[05:32] | Sorry for the delay. WASHINGTON: Oh, no problem. | – 抱歉我来晚了。 – 噢,没关系。 |
[05:34] | I assume you guys are pretty busy right now. | 我想你们现在都很忙。 |
[05:35] | RENFORD: What can I do for you? | 有什么是吗? |
[05:37] | I’ve been trying to talk to these agents about Bill Habib. | 我一直试图找这些特工谈谈Bill Habib的事。 |
[05:40] | RENFORD: These agents got pulled onto details overseas. | 这些特工被调到海外去了解细节。 |
[05:42] | They are not available. | 他们现在不在。 |
[05:45] | Okay. | 那好。 |
[05:46] | Can you tell me anything? | 你能跟我谈谈吗? |
[05:49] | I’m sorry. I can’t. | 抱歉,我不能。 |
[05:52] | Is that because you don’t know or because you won’t say? | 是因为你不知情还是你不能说? |
[05:59] | Agent Renford, | Renford探员, |
[06:00] | I am formally requesting you let me see my client. | 我正式要求你,让我见我的当事人。 |
[06:04] | I’m afraid you can’t. | 恐怕你不能见。 |
[06:06] | What do you mean? I’m his lawyer. | 你什么意思?我是他的律师呀。 |
[06:08] | You can’t see him, Miss Washington. | Washington小姐,你不能见他。 |
[06:10] | That’s all I can say. | 我只能说这么多。 |
[06:12] | Are you familiar with the concept | Renford探员,你听说过正当法律程序这个概念吗? |
[06:13] | of due process, Agent Renford? | Renford探员,你听说过正当法律程序这个概念吗? |
[06:20] | DONNELL: First, find out where he’s being held. | 首先,找出来他被关在哪儿。 |
[06:21] | Call the Bureau of Prisons. WASHINGTON: I did, | – 给监狱管理局打电话。 – 我已经打过了, |
[06:23] | along with the Board of Corrections, | 还有惩戒委员会, |
[06:25] | Suffolk County Jail, middle-sex. | middlesex的Suffolk县监狱。, |
[06:26] | Nobody knows a thing. | 没人知道。 |
[06:28] | Call the I. N. S. | 打电话给移民归化局, |
[06:29] | They can hold someone indefinitely | 他们可以在某人即使只有一点点移民问题迹象情况下, |
[06:30] | even if there’s a hint of an immigration problem. | 将其无限期进行扣押。 |
[06:33] | He’s a U. S. citizen. He has been for 20 years. | 他是美国公民,已经入籍20多年了。 |
[06:35] | I’d still check it out. You don’t know what they can do now. | 我还是会去查查看。你不知道他们现在能做什么。 |
[06:38] | What about his first lawyer? | 他的第一个律师呢? |
[06:40] | He won’t talk to me, says he’s been ordered not to. | 他不会跟我谈的,他说他是被下令禁止的。 |
[06:42] | DONNELL: Ordered? By who? | 下令?谁下的命令? |
[06:44] | I have no idea. | 我不知道。 |
[06:46] | Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[06:48] | If the Feds took him, you gotta assume they still got him. | 如果是联邦调查局把他带走的, 你得假设他还在他们手上。 |
[06:51] | File a Federal Habeas. | 申请一份联邦人身保护令。 |
[06:53] | Make them produce his body, at least. | 至少让他们把他交出来。 |
[06:58] | The girl had just walked out of the market | 当他走向那个女孩时,她刚出商场。 |
[07:00] | when he walked up to her. | 当他走向那个女孩时,她刚出商场。 |
[07:01] | This girl? | 这个女孩吗? |
[07:03] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[07:04] | Mr. Banks, had you ever seen the defendant before? | Banks先生,你以前见过被告吗? |
[07:07] | He’s a street guy, carries your bags for change. | 他是个街头混混,帮你拎包打杂赚点零钱。 |
[07:10] | Sometimes he can get aggressive. | 有时候他会挺凶的。 |
[07:12] | Objection. | 反对。 |
[07:13] | Sustained. The Jury will disregard. | 反对有效,陪审团对此应不予理会。 |
[07:16] | GAMBLE: Just tell us what you saw that day. | 告诉我们0当天你看到的情况。 |
[07:18] | He tried to carry her shopping bags, | 他想去帮她拎购物袋, |
[07:21] | and she was like, “Whoa, I got it.” | 而她好像是说“哇,我拿得了” |
[07:24] | They kind of argued over the bags for a minute, | 他们就这些袋子争论了一会儿 |
[07:26] | and then she walked away. | 然后她走开了。 |
[07:28] | GAMBLE: What did the defendant do then? | 被告之后做了些什么? |
[07:30] | He stood there pissed. | 他站在那里很生气 |
[07:32] | Then he started to follow her. | 然后他开始跟着她。 |
[07:34] | YOUNG: Did you hear anything they said? | 你听到他们说什么了吗? |
[07:37] | No. | 没有 |
[07:38] | Then when you say they argued– | 那当你说他们争吵的时候。。。 |
[07:39] | It looked like they argued. | 他们看起来是在争吵 |
[07:41] | About the bags. | 因为那个包争吵。 |
[07:42] | Could they have been talking about something else? | 他们谈了些别的事吗? |
[07:44] | I don’t know. I guess. | 我不知道,我猜。 |
[07:46] | YOUNG: You guess? | 你猜? |
[07:47] | So it’s possible then they were talking about something else? | 那么说之后他们也可能谈了些别的事? |
[07:50] | Yes. | 对。 |
[07:52] | YOUNG: And Mr. Banks, you never thought Ms. McLaughlin | Banks先生,你根本没有认为 McLaughlin女士有危险,对吗? |
[07:53] | was in danger, did you, sir? | Banks先生,你根本没有认为 McLaughlin女士有危险,对吗? |
[07:55] | In danger? | 有危险? |
[07:56] | Yes. You saw her with my client. | 是呀,你看到她和我当事人在一起。 |
[07:58] | You didn’t think she needed help | 你并不认为她需要帮助或者你应该报警,对吗? |
[08:00] | or that you should call the police, did you? | 你并不认为她需要帮助或者你应该报警,对吗? |
[08:02] | No. | 对。 |
[08:03] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你,先生。 |
[08:13] | That’s it? | 就这些? |
[08:16] | Daryl, if you’re unhappy with my work, | Daryl,如果你对我的工作不满意, |
[08:19] | you can tell the judge and get a new lawyer. | 你可以向法官要求换个律师。 |
[08:23] | You’re the right lawyer for this, Mr. Young. | Young,你就是那个我该用的律师, |
[08:26] | I’m sure about that. | 这个我很肯定。 |
[08:38] | WASHINGTON: Agent Renford, I didn’t expect to see– | Renford探员,我没想到。。。 |
[08:39] | MCNALLY: Theodore McNally, Assistant U. S. Attorney. | Theodore McNally,联邦助理检察官。 |
[08:41] | Thanks for coming down. Let me give you this back. | 谢谢你过来。我把这个还给你。 |
[08:45] | It’s my Habeas. | 这是我申请的人身保护令。 |
[08:47] | It isn’t filed? | 没有提交吗? |
[08:48] | Clerk’s office caught it. You can’t file it. | 书记员办公室扣下了,你不能提交这个申请。 |
[08:52] | What do you mean I can’t file it? | 什么意思? |
[08:54] | This involves classified material, | 这涉及到机密事项, |
[08:56] | top-secret or higher. It can’t be– | 最高级别或者更高的。这不能。。。 |
[08:58] | I’m just asking to see my client. | 我只是要求见到我的当事人。 |
[09:01] | Now, when do I get to see my client? | 那么,我什么时候可以见到我的当事人? |
[09:06] | After you get a national security clearance. | 在你获得国家安全许可之后。 |
[09:09] | Renford will expedite it. | Renford会尽快促成的。 |
[09:10] | I’ll need your home address, Social-Security number, | 我需要你的家庭住址,社会保险号码, |
[09:13] | names of family members, and how you know Mr. Habib. | 家庭成员的名字,以及你如何认识Habib先生的。 |
[09:16] | I haven’t even met him yet! | 我甚至还都没见过他! |
[09:18] | Hold on. | 打住吧。 |
[09:21] | I need to warn you, anything you say | 我必须要警告你,你所说的 |
[09:23] | can and will be used against you and your client. | 可能会对你和你的当事人不利。 |
[09:26] | Use against me– What are you talk– | 对我不利。。。你说的是。。。 |
[09:27] | This case involves national security. | 这个案子涉及国家机密。 |
[09:30] | You want to defend Habib, you need a clearance. | 你想为Habib辩护,你就需要一个接触机密的许可。 |
[09:33] | To get it, you gotta go through us, | 要得到许可,你就要通过我们, |
[09:34] | answer our questions. | 并回答我们提出的问题。 |
[09:35] | If you lie to us, it’s perjury. | 如果你对我们撒谎,就是做了伪证。 |
[09:37] | Plus, everything we tell you is privileged. | 另外,我们对你所说的一切都属于保密范围。 |
[09:40] | If you divulge any of it to anyone, | 如果你泄露给任何人, |
[09:42] | you’ll be prosecuted. | 你会被起诉的。 |
[09:44] | And what if I don’t want a security clearance? | 如果我不想得到接触机密的许可呢? |
[09:48] | What if I object it’s a violation of my rights? | 如果我提出这是侵犯我的权力的反对意见呢? |
[09:52] | Then Mr. Habib gets no lawyer. | 那Habib先生就不会有律师了。 |
[10:04] | WASHINGTON: I’d need security clearance | 我要见我从未见过的当事人是不需要机密许可的。 |
[10:05] | to see my own client, who I never met. | 我要见我从未见过的当事人是不需要机密许可的。 |
[10:07] | I don’t know why he was arrested. | 我不知道他为什么被抓。 |
[10:08] | Rebecca, these are different times. | Rebecca,这个时代不同了。 |
[10:10] | Thank you, Lucy. | 谢谢你提醒,Lucy。 |
[10:12] | So, what happens next? | 那么,接下来呢? |
[10:13] | Assuming I get the clearance, | 假设我得到这个许可, |
[10:15] | I’m hoping to meet the client tomorrow. | 我希望明天去见当事人。 |
[10:22] | I haven’t found him yet. | 我还没见过他。 |
[10:26] | So we’re off to Federal Court. | 所以我们要去联邦法院。 |
[10:28] | I’m hoping to persuade a Judge to order the government | 我希望说服法官至少命令政府告诉我们他被关在哪里。 |
[10:30] | to at least tell us where he is. | 我希望说服法官至少命令政府告诉我们他被关在哪里。 |
[10:32] | Okay. | 那好。 |
[10:36] | Sarah, is it possible | Sarah,是不是你丈夫可能卷入了些什么事? |
[10:38] | your husband is involved in something? | Sarah,是不是你丈夫可能卷入了些什么事? |
[10:44] | No, Rebecca, that’s not possible. | 没有,Rebecca,不可能的。 |
[10:49] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉。 |
[10:50] | As your lawyer, I had to ask you that question. | 作为你的律师,我必须要问你这个问题。 |
[10:53] | Right. | 我理解 |
[10:54] | We wouldn’t want you committing malpractice. | 我们也不希望你玩忽职守。 |
[11:03] | Numerous skull fractures, massive and fatal head trauma. | 大面积颅骨骨折,严重且致命的头部创伤。 |
[11:07] | What caused these injuries, detective? | 警探先生,是什么导致这些损伤的? |
[11:09] | A table lamp was found near the body covered with blood | 在尸体附近发现了一盏沾满鲜血和她一些头皮的台灯。 |
[11:12] | and portions of her scalp. | 在尸体附近发现了一盏沾满鲜血和她一些头皮的台灯。 |
[11:13] | It was determined to be the murder weapon. | 这被确定为谋杀凶器。 |
[11:15] | Were any fingerprints on the lamp? | 台灯上有指纹吗? |
[11:17] | The defendant’s fingerprints were found | 在台灯和被告人身上都发现了被告的指纹。 |
[11:19] | on both the lamp and the victim. | 在台灯和被告人身上都发现了被告的指纹。 |
[11:22] | Detective… | 警探先生。。。 |
[11:25] | what other evidence did you find? | 你还发现了其他的证据吗? |
[11:27] | A rape examination revealed the presence of semen. | 强奸方面的检查显示出存在精液。 |
[11:30] | We did a DNA test. It matched the defendant. | 我们做了DNA测试,结果和被告匹配。 |
[11:34] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[11:39] | Mr. Young? | |
[11:42] | Did you find bruising? | 发现了有瘀伤吗? |
[11:43] | We found bludgeoning. | 我们发现有连续重击的伤情。 |
[11:46] | That wasn’t my question. | 我问的不是这个。 |
[11:48] | Did you find bruising in the vaginal area? | 你们发现阴道有瘀伤吗? |
[11:51] | We didn’t find that. | 没有。 |
[11:52] | YOUNG: How about tearing? | 那么撕裂伤呢? |
[11:54] | DETECTIVE: No. | 也没有。 |
[11:55] | Did you find defensive wounds on the victim’s hands or arms, | 你们在受害人手和胳膊上发现防御性伤口吗? |
[11:57] | skin under her fingernails? | 她指甲里发现有皮肤的残留吗? |
[12:00] | No. | 没有。 |
[12:01] | Detective, can you rule out the possibility of consensual sex? | 警探先生,你能排除双方自愿发生性关系的可能性吗? |
[12:04] | Objection. Overruled. | – 反对 – 反对无效。 |
[12:06] | Doesn’t sound like she was fighting, does it? | 听起来她不是在博斗,对吗? |
[12:08] | This could have been consensual. | 这可能本是两厢情愿的。 |
[12:10] | Sidebar, Your Honor. | 请求上前商议,法官大人。 |
[12:12] | Quickly. | 那就快点吧。 |
[12:19] | There is no good-faith basis | 暗示这属于自愿性行为的做法是没有基于诚信的。 |
[12:21] | for the suggestion of consensual sex here, | 暗示这属于自愿性行为的做法是没有基于诚信的。 |
[12:24] | and he knows it. | 他心知肚明。 |
[12:25] | My client says it’s consensual. | 我的当事人说这是自愿的。 |
[12:26] | That’s it? | 就是这样吗? |
[12:27] | That’s all he needs. | 他就要这样。 |
[12:29] | It’s bad enough the parents have to sit here and listen– | 让受害人父母坐在那儿听到这些真是太糟了。。。 |
[12:31] | You can advise the parents to leave the room. Why don’t you? | 你可以建议他们离开呀,你为什么不这么做呢? |
[12:35] | This is your defense? That the sex was consensual? | 这就是你的辩护策略?自愿性行为? |
[12:39] | This is his defense, Your Honor, | 这是他的辩护策略,法官大人。 |
[12:40] | and you can take me off whenever you please. | 您愿意的话,可以随时把我赶出去。 |
[12:45] | Assuming that Mr. Young does, in fact, have a good-faith basis | 假设Young先生在这个问题上确实是基于诚信的, |
[12:49] | for the question, I’ll allow it. | 我将允许这个辩护策略。 |
[12:50] | Your Honor– | 法官大人。。。 |
[12:51] | he’s entitled to put on a defense, counsel. | 他有权选择辩护策略,律师。 |
[12:56] | But tread lightly, Eugene. | 但悠着点,Eugene |
[12:58] | Now step back. | 现在退下吧。 |
[13:04] | YOUNG: Detective… | 警探先生。。。 |
[13:06] | is it possible the sex here was consensual, yes or no? | 有自愿性行为的可能性吗,是还是不是? |
[13:09] | I suppose it’s possible, but– | 我觉得有可能,但是。。。 |
[13:10] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你,先生。 |
[13:13] | That’s all. | 我问完了。 |
[13:26] | MAN: Sorry, ma’am, no bags inside. | 对不起,夫人,包不能带进去。 |
[13:28] | Can I get a piece of paper and a pen? | 我可以带纸笔进去吗? |
[13:29] | MAN: No, ma’am. No writing materials. | 不行,夫人,书写用品也不行 |
[13:34] | Sorry, ma’am. | 对不起,夫人 |
[13:36] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[13:37] | Closed courtroom. Only the lawyers. | 封闭开庭,只能让律师进去。 |
[13:39] | This is the man’s wife. | 这是那人的妻子。 |
[13:40] | Orders of the court, ma’am. No visitors. | 法庭的命令,夫人,闲杂人等免进。 |
[13:42] | Please, he’s my husband. I haven’t seen him in weeks. | 拜托了,他是我的丈夫,我几个星期没见到他了。 |
[13:44] | Ma’am, I’m sorry. | 夫人,对不起。 |
[13:46] | You’re just following orders, right? | 你们就是奉命而为,是吗? |
[13:53] | Okay, I’m sorry. | 那好吧 |
[13:54] | I understand. | 我表示理解。 |
[13:56] | Go ahead, Rebecca. | Rebecca,你去吧。 |
[13:58] | Just please tell Bill I’m out here. | 一定要告诉Bill我在外面。 |
[14:06] | I heard the screaming, and I knew something wasn’t right, | 我听到了尖叫声,我觉得事情不太对头。 |
[14:09] | so I opened my apartment door and looked out, | 所以我打开公寓的门往外看, |
[14:12] | and there he was. | 他在那里。 |
[14:14] | This man right here? | 就是那个男人吗? |
[14:16] | SOLOTKIN: Yes. He was dressed ratty, like a bum, | 是的,他穿着邋遢,像个流浪汉, |
[14:20] | and he didn’t smell too good either. | 而且也让人觉得很不对劲。 |
[14:22] | GAMBLE: Did he say anything? | 他说了什么吗? |
[14:23] | SOLOTKIN: No, but as soon as he saw I was looking at him, | 没有,但当他看到我在看着他的时候, |
[14:26] | he ran for the stairs. | 他跑向楼梯。 |
[14:28] | GAMBLE: You’re absolutely sure | 你能确定这个人 |
[14:30] | this is the man you saw leave Ms. McLaughlin’s apartment? | 就是那个你看到他离开McLaughlin公寓的人吗? |
[14:33] | Positive. | 绝对肯定。 |
[14:34] | GAMBLE: Right after you heard screaming? | 在你听到尖叫声之后吗? |
[14:36] | SOLOTKIN: That’s right. | 对。 |
[14:39] | YOUNG: Did you know the victim, Mrs. Solotkin? | Solotkin夫人,你认识受害人吗? |
[14:42] | Not personally, but I’d seen her. | 没什么私交,但我见过她。 |
[14:44] | Ever talk to her? | 和她有过交谈吗? |
[14:46] | Not really. | 没怎么谈过。 |
[14:47] | So you don’t know her voice. | 那么说你听不出她的嗓音来。 |
[14:50] | No. | 听不出。 |
[14:50] | Wouldn’t recognize her scream? | 可能听不出她的叫声吧? |
[14:52] | No, but I’m assuming it must have been her. | 听不出来,但我想一定是她。 |
[14:55] | The scream came at the time she was killed. | 那尖叫声是她被杀的时候传出来的。 |
[14:57] | YOUNG: You’re assuming. | 你还是在假设。 |
[14:59] | Do you know many black people? | 你认识很多黑人吗? |
[15:01] | Objection. | 反对。 |
[15:02] | Have any black friends? | 有黑人朋友吗? |
[15:03] | KITTLESON: Mr. Young, what are you doing? | Young先生,你在干什么? |
[15:05] | Laying a foundation, Your Honor. | 奠定一个基础,法官大人。 |
[15:07] | A foundation for what? | 奠定什么的基础? |
[15:08] | If I could be allowed to proceed, I’ll get there. | 如果你允许我继续下去,就知道了。 |
[15:12] | Do you recall the question? | 你还记得那个问题吗? |
[15:14] | About black people? | 关于黑人? |
[15:16] | I don’t really know any that well. | 我确实不太了解。 |
[15:18] | But you know for sure it was my client | 但是哪怕你只从大堂看了我的当事人一眼, |
[15:20] | even though you saw him for just a moment | 你就能确定是他吗? |
[15:23] | from down the hall? | 你就能确定是他吗? |
[15:24] | Well, I don’t know for sure. | 这个,我不能确定。 |
[15:25] | It could have been somebody else | 我想也可能是长得和他非常像的别的什么人吧 |
[15:27] | who looked exactly like him, I suppose. | 我想也可能是长得和他非常像的别的什么人吧 |
[15:32] | Thank you, ma’am. | 谢谢你,夫人。 |
[15:33] | Nothing further. | 没有要问的了。 |
[15:35] | KITTLESON: The witness may step down. | 证人可以退席了。 |
[15:38] | Ms. Gamble? | Gamble女士? |
[15:41] | The Commonwealth rests. | 控方举证完毕。 |
[15:43] | Mr. Young? | Young先生,你呢? |
[15:46] | The defense calls Dr. Donald Sideman. | 辩方传唤Donald Sideman博士出庭作证。 |
[15:48] | You gotta be kidding! | 开什么玩笑! |
[15:50] | If I can’t put on a defense, why don’t we lynch him? | 如果我不能进行辩护举证,何不把被告私刑处决算了? |
[15:52] | Mr. Young is trying to make this about race– | Young先生试图打种族牌。。。 |
[15:55] | Move to strike! | 请求对此不予记录! |
[15:56] | Counsel, get up here. | 律师,到我这儿来。 |
[16:03] | I will hold both of you in contempt | 如果你们再这样情绪激动, |
[16:05] | if there’s another such outburst. | 我会判你们两个藐视法庭。 |
[16:09] | Who is Dr. Sideman? | Sideman博士是什么人? |
[16:10] | He testifies white people can’t tell one black man from another. | 他会作证说白人无法区分黑人。 |
[16:13] | Sorry? | 什么? |
[16:15] | He’s an expert on cross-racial impairment of eyewitnesses. | 他是一个有关目击证人在垮种族认知缺陷方面的专家 |
[16:18] | This has been rejected by other courts. | 这在其他法院已是被不予采纳的。 |
[16:20] | Plus, Mr. Young gave no notice. | 何况,Young先生也没有事先知会。 |
[16:22] | YOUNG: I didn’t know race would be an issue. | 我不知道种族问题会是个问题。 |
[16:24] | You are the one making race an issue. | 你现在就在打种族牌。 |
[16:25] | If I can’t call this witness, I’ll take you up, | 如果我不能传唤这个证人,我就跟你干上了, |
[16:28] | emergency appeal, and I want a mistrial. | 提出紧急上诉,我巴不得搞出一个无效审判来。 |
[16:33] | You may call Dr. Sideman. | 你可以传唤Sideman博士作证。 |
[16:34] | You’re letting him run your court. | 您在任由他掌控您的法庭 |
[16:35] | I run my court, Ms. Gamble. | Gamble女士,是我在掌控 |
[16:41] | If Dr. Sideman is a buffoon, | 如果Sideman博士是个无知的小丑, |
[16:43] | I will instruct the jury to disregard. | 我会指示陪审团无视他的证词。 |
[16:50] | REBECCA: He’s been kept from his family for three weeks, | 他被强行和家人分离已经三个星期了, |
[16:52] | and we don’t know what he’s been charged with. | 而我们都不知道他因何被指控。 |
[16:53] | He hasn’t been charged with anything. | 还没有对他提起任何指控。 |
[16:55] | Then how and why are you holding him? | 那你们怎么能扣押他?为什么要扣押他? |
[16:57] | MCNALLY: He’s being held as a material witness. | 他是作为一个关键证人而被扣押的。 |
[16:59] | WASHINGTON: To what? | 针对什么? |
[17:00] | That information I can’t reveal. | 这种信息我不能透露。 |
[17:02] | WASHINGTON: How do I represent him | 如果我不知道他被扣押的原因, |
[17:03] | if I can’t be told why he’s being held? | 我怎么维护他的利益? |
[17:06] | This case involves information obtained | 这个案子涉及到从外国情报监视行动中获得的信息。 |
[17:07] | through the foreign-intelligence surveillance act. | 这个案子涉及到从外国情报监视行动中获得的信息。 |
[17:09] | Mr. McNally, I appreciate your concern for national security, | McNally先生,我感谢你对国家安全的关心, |
[17:13] | but I’m going to do my part | 但我会尽我的职责保维护我们的宪法。 |
[17:15] | to safeguard what is left of our constitution. | 但我会尽我的职责保维护我们的宪法。 |
[17:18] | Get Mr. Habib into this courtroom. | 把Habib先生带到法庭来。 |
[17:20] | Let him see his lawyer and his wife, | 让他见他的律师和妻子, |
[17:23] | and we are going to make sure | 我们要确保他至少能得到某种形式的听证会。 |
[17:24] | that he gets at least some kind of hearing. | 我们要确保他至少能得到某种形式的听证会。 |
[17:26] | Your honor, I don’t think you have the authority– | 法官大人,我认为您无权。。。 |
[17:28] | Counsel! | 律师! |
[17:31] | These are strange times, | 这是个奇怪的时代, |
[17:32] | And nobody is quite sure who has what authority, | 没人能确定什么人有什么样的权力。 |
[17:35] | I grant you, | 我接受你的说法 |
[17:36] | but you don’t want to be testing mine. | 但你不会想要来碰我的。 |
[17:39] | If I don’t see Mr. Habib in this room | 如果我在这个法庭上,看不到Habib和他的律师和妻子相见。 |
[17:42] | with his lawyer and his wife, | 如果我在这个法庭上,看不到Habib和他的律师和妻子相见。 |
[17:44] | you are going to be held in contempt. | 你会因判藐视法庭而被收押。 |
[17:52] | Many eyewitnesses have a hard time | 很多目击证人都很难正确地识别出其他种族的嫌疑人 |
[17:54] | correctly identifying suspects | 很多目击证人都很难正确地识别出其他种族的嫌疑人 |
[17:56] | who are of another race. | 很多目击证人都很难正确地识别出其他种族的嫌疑人 |
[17:59] | We call that “cross-racial impairment.” | 我们称这种现象为“跨种族缺陷” |
[18:02] | YOUNG: Is it common? | 这很常见吗? |
[18:04] | SIDEMAN: Very. | 非常常见。 |
[18:04] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道的? |
[18:06] | From my work as a Clinical Psychologist, | 从我作为一名临床心理学家在这个问题上, |
[18:08] | from my review of over 50 years of empirical studies | 长达50年的实证性研究中观察到的。 |
[18:12] | on the subject. | 长达50年的实证性研究中观察到的。 |
[18:13] | YOUNG: Are certain people more likely to suffer | 某些特定人群会容易具有这种缺陷吗? |
[18:15] | from this impairment? | 某些特定人群会容易具有这种缺陷吗? |
[18:17] | People unfamiliar with members of the race in question. | 不熟悉相关种族成员的特定人群。 |
[18:21] | They don’t see black people very often. | 他们不常看到黑人。 |
[18:24] | Suddenly, they have to identify one. | 突然,他们不得不去辨识其中的一个。 |
[18:26] | They’re more likely to pick the wrong one. | 他们很容易选择错误。 |
[18:30] | Thank you, Doctor. | 谢谢你,博士。 |
[18:39] | Blacks all look alike–is that your scientific opinion? | 黑人都长得很像。。。这是你的科学观点吗? |
[18:43] | YOUNG: Objection. | 反对。 |
[18:44] | KITTLESON: Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[18:45] | Doctor, did you talk to Mrs. Solotkin | 博士,你和Solotkin夫人就她对被告的指认一事谈过吗? |
[18:48] | about her identification of the defendant? | 博士,你和Solotkin夫人就她对被告的指认一事谈过吗? |
[18:51] | No. | 没有。 |
[18:52] | Are you aware that there’s no agreement | 你是否知道在科学界 |
[18:54] | in the scientific community | 甚至都不认同存在跨种族缺陷。 |
[18:56] | that cross-racial impairment even exists? | 甚至都不认同存在跨种族缺陷。 |
[18:59] | Cross-racial impairment is real. | 跨种族缺陷是真实存在的。 |
[19:02] | SIDEMAN: When studies confirm what life has already taught us, | 科学研究证实了那些我们已经从生活观察到的东西, |
[19:06] | to me, that’s the best proof you can get. | 对我来说,这就是你们能得到的最好印证。 |
[19:09] | Well, is that why many courts have refused | 那么,这就是很多法庭拒绝让你出庭作证的原因吗? |
[19:11] | to let you testify? | 那么,这就是很多法庭拒绝让你出庭作证的原因吗? |
[19:13] | Science often outpaces the law, Ms. Gamble. | 科学发展的速度往往胜过法律,Gamble女士。 |
[19:23] | He’s trying to hang the jury. | 他在试图使陪审团因分歧而达不成一致判决。 |
[19:24] | Should I call my own experts? | 我们应该传唤己方专家吗? |
[19:26] | I’m afraid the more I attack his defense, | 我怕我们越是攻击辩方, |
[19:28] | the more credible I make it seem. | 越会使其看起来是可信的。 |
[19:30] | If you do nothing, it looks like you’re conceding. | 如果你什么也不做的话,看起来你是对其认可了。 |
[19:34] | He’s made it about race because he’s got nothing else. | 他没有别的办法才会打种族牌。 |
[19:37] | What he does have are four black jurors. | 他确实有四个黑人陪审员。 |
[19:39] | Oh, please. | 噢,拜托了。 |
[19:40] | And he’s black. | 而且他也是黑人。 |
[19:44] | Race isn’t the issue, but it probably won’t be. | 种族不是问题,很可能不会有问题。 |
[19:49] | But we can’t be so naive as to rule out the possibility. | 但我们不能天真地排除这种可能性。 |
[19:55] | Got a second? | 能谈一下吗? |
[20:09] | Don’t look at me like I’m having fun. | 别这样看着我,好像我挺开心似的。 |
[20:11] | Have you looked at the crime scene photos, Eugene? | 你看过犯罪现场的照片吗,Eugene? |
[20:14] | I’ve seen them. Look, you know It’s an appointment, so– | 我看过,听着,你们知道我是被指派的,所以。。。 |
[20:17] | Oh, come on, spare me the “Just doing my job” crap. | 噢,得了吧,别跟我扯什么“我只是尽职而已”的废话。 |
[20:20] | Good lawyers manage without going racial. | 优秀的律师不打种族牌。 |
[20:23] | My client instructed me to put on a defense. | 我的当事人要求我这样辩护。 |
[20:25] | That defense? | 那种辩护吗? |
[20:27] | As a matter of fact, yes. | 事实上,是的。 |
[20:28] | If you’re here to wiggle off the moral hook… | 如果你来这里是为了摆脱道德的束缚。。。 |
[20:30] | That’s not why I’m here. | 我来这不是那个原因。 |
[20:34] | He’s going to testify. | 他打算作证。 |
[20:38] | You’ll be suborning perjury. | 你将会是教唆伪证。 |
[20:40] | Only if I know he’s lying, which I don’t. | 只在我知道他是撒谎的情况下,而我不知道。 |
[20:42] | He says he’s innocent, Helen. | 他说他是无辜的,Helen。 |
[20:45] | I think we should plead this, or in the alternative, | 我认为我们应该达成控辩交易,或者作为替代方案, |
[20:48] | you should tell the parents not to be there. | 你应该跟受害人双亲说别出庭。 |
[20:50] | It won’t be easy to hear. | 听到那些会很不好受。 |
[20:52] | That a threat? | 这算是威胁吗? |
[20:54] | It would be unethical for me to make a threat. | 对我来说威胁是不道德的。 |
[20:58] | Wouldn’t it, Helen? | 不是吗,Helen? |
[21:00] | I won’t be blackmailed into a plea deal. | 我不因讹诈而去达成交易。 |
[21:06] | You done? | 你说完了吗? |
[21:10] | Done. | 说完了。 |
[21:23] | GAMBLE: For your own emotional welfare, | 出于为你们的感情着想, |
[21:25] | I’d say stay out of the room, but… | 我建议不要出庭旁听,但是 |
[21:27] | But what? | 但是什么? |
[21:28] | Well, strictly for the case, | 好吧,具体针对这个案子, |
[21:30] | obviously, it’s better if you’re in there. | 显然,如果你们在庭上会更好。 |
[21:32] | He’ll look more like a monster | 他当着受害者父母说出那样的话, |
[21:34] | saying the things he’ll probably say with the parents present. | 他会被看得更像是一个恶魔。 |
[21:37] | He’s going to attack my daughter? | 他打算要诋毁我的女儿? |
[21:39] | Is that how it works? | 可以这样干吗? |
[21:40] | Yes, it works that way sometimes. | 是的,有时候就是这样的。 |
[21:45] | We’ll be there. | 我们会在场的。 |
[21:46] | Are you sure? We’ll be there! | – 你们确定吗? – 我们会在场! |
[21:47] | Okay, but you have to stay under control. | 那好,但你们要控制住。 |
[21:50] | My opinion is this lawyer would love a mistrial, | 我的意见是,这个律师想得到无效审判, |
[21:52] | and if you jump up in there, | 如果你们当庭发难, |
[21:54] | you might very well give it to them. | 你们很可能会让他如愿。 |
[21:56] | All right. | 知道了。 |
[21:58] | Fine. | 好吧。 |
[22:03] | Okay, he’s coming in. | 好了,他马上就来。 |
[22:05] | Dr. Ford, I’m going to ask you not to speak to him | Ford医生,我要求你别和他说话 |
[22:08] | or hand him any items. | 或者交给他任何物品。 |
[22:24] | Can they have some privacy? | 他们能有一些隐私空间吗? |
[22:26] | Dr. Ford is not a suspect. | Ford博士不是嫌疑犯。 |
[22:28] | If she talks at all | 如果她要是说了话 |
[22:30] | and it appears like she’s trying to pass coded information, | 好像她在试图传递密码信息的话, |
[22:32] | she might become one. | 她可能会成为一个嫌犯。 |
[22:33] | She is here to observe. Now, that’s D. O. J. rules. | 她现在在这儿只能看着,这是司法部的条例。 |
[22:36] | HABIB: You have two children to care for. | 你要照顾两个孩子。 |
[22:38] | Don’t say anything, understand? | 什么也别说,明白吗? |
[22:44] | Why don’t we all sit down? | 我们何不都坐下来? |
[22:48] | Mr. Habib, I’m Rebecca Washington. | Habib先生,我是Rebecca Washington。 |
[22:51] | I’m your lawyer. | 我是你的律师。 |
[22:54] | We’re about to have a hearing. | 我们将会举行一个听证会。 |
[22:56] | I didn’t ask for either a hearing or a lawyer. | 我不要求听证会或者律师。 |
[23:02] | Your wife hired me. | 你太太雇了我。 |
[23:05] | She should not have. | 她不应该如此。 |
[23:09] | Is my–is my wife, my sons, are they all right? | 我太太,我的儿子们,他们都好吗? |
[23:13] | Have they been harmed? | 他们受到伤害了吗? |
[23:15] | No, we’re fine. | 没有,我们都很好。 |
[23:18] | Would you tell him we’re fine, please? | 拜托,你可以跟他说我们都很好吗? |
[23:22] | Do you have any idea why you’re here? | 你知道你为什么会这样吗? |
[23:25] | Miss, uh… | 小姐,呃。。。 |
[23:26] | Washington. | |
[23:29] | Help my wife understand, | 请帮我太太理解, |
[23:31] | I did what I did because it was right. | 我做了我所做的,因为这是正确的。 |
[23:35] | Bill, what are you talking about? | Bill,你在说什么? |
[23:38] | Tell the judge I’m ready to proceed. | 告诉法官,我准备好了。 |
[23:45] | I’d see her in the park by campus, you know, just jogging. | 我是在校园边的公园里看到她的,你知道,就是在慢跑。 |
[23:50] | I’d wave. | 我会招招手。 |
[23:51] | One time, she stopped, and we just talked a little. | 有一次,她停下来,我们就聊了一会儿。 |
[23:54] | YOUNG: Tell us about your relationship. | 跟我们谈谈你们俩的关系。 |
[23:57] | JOHNSON: We’d meet late at night when nobody was around. | 我们晚上很晚才见面,那时周围没有人。 |
[23:59] | When it got colder, | 天气变冷了, |
[24:01] | that’s when she started inviting me over to her place. | 就在那时她开始邀请我到她的住处。 |
[24:04] | And what would you do there? | 你们在那里做了什么? |
[24:06] | We’d talk, watch television. | 我们聊天,看电视。 |
[24:09] | After a while, we started having sex. | 过了一会儿,我们开始亲热。 |
[24:13] | She said… | 她说。。。 |
[24:16] | well, she said she always wanted to be with a black man. | 呃,她说她一直想和一个黑人交往。 |
[24:19] | So, you know… | 所以,你懂的。。。 |
[24:21] | YOUNG: Turning your attention to November 19th, | 来说说11月19日那天吧, |
[24:24] | the day Ms. McLaughlin was killed, | McLaughlin女士被杀的那天, |
[24:27] | did you see her that day? | 你那天看到她了吗? |
[24:28] | Yes, outside the market. | 是的,在商场外。 |
[24:31] | I offered to carry her bags, like I’d done before, | 跟以往一样,我主动帮她拎包, |
[24:35] | but she said she couldn’t see me anymore. | 但她说她可能再也见不到我了。 |
[24:36] | Did she say why? | 她说为什么了吗? |
[24:38] | No, so I followed her, just trying to talk. | 没有,所以我跟着她,想和她谈谈。 |
[24:42] | When we got to her apartment, | 当我们到了她的公寓 |
[24:43] | she said she was seeing another guy. | 她说她跟别的人好上了。 |
[24:45] | I begged her not to break us up. | 我求她不要甩了我。 |
[24:48] | We argued for a little bit, | 我们争吵了一会, |
[24:51] | and she said that she loved me. | 她说她爱我。 |
[24:53] | YOUNG: Did you make love to her that day, sir? | 你们当天做爱了吗,先生? |
[24:55] | Yes. | 做了。 |
[24:57] | Afterwards, she said she was gonna break up | 后来,她说她打算在那天晚上上和另一个家伙分手, |
[25:00] | with that other guy that night, | 后来,她说她打算在那天晚上上和另一个家伙分手, |
[25:01] | that he was supposed to be coming over that night. | 那家伙本应当晚过来的。 |
[25:04] | When I left, she was alive. | 我离开的时候,她还活得好好的。 |
[25:08] | YOUNG: Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你,先生。 |
[25:17] | Do you know if anyone ever saw you two at the park | 你是否知道,在你们相识的那天, |
[25:19] | the day you met? | 有人在公园里看到你们俩吗? |
[25:21] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[25:22] | Do you know if anyone ever saw you at the apartment? | 你是否知道,有人曾看到你们在她的公寓里? |
[25:24] | No, I always came over there late at night. | 没有,我总是夜深了才去那儿。 |
[25:27] | Anyone know anything about the relationship? | 关于你们俩之间的关系,有人知道吗? |
[25:29] | No. She liked to keep it secret. | 没有,她喜欢把这事保密。 |
[25:32] | So nobody can verify a single part of your story? | 那么说,没人能证实你说法中的任何一点? |
[25:35] | I guess because of our different social places | 我想是因为我们不同的社会地位或者 |
[25:38] | or whatever you want to call it, | 不管叫什么也好, |
[25:41] | you know, she just liked to keep it between us. | 你懂的,她就是不想让别人知道。 |
[25:45] | Mr. Johnson… | |
[25:48] | this is your booking photo. | 这是的警方归档照片。 |
[25:50] | This is what you looked like | Linda McLaughlin被杀后第二天, |
[25:52] | the day after Linda McLaughlin was killed, is that correct? | 你看上去就是这个样子,对吗? |
[25:55] | Objection–relevance. | 反对。。。提问无关联性 |
[25:56] | Overruled. | 反对被驳回。 |
[25:57] | I was upset when that picture was taken. | 拍照的时候我心情不好。 |
[25:59] | GAMBLE: You were homeless, filthy, | 你无家可归,相貌猥亵, |
[26:01] | off your meds, yet you expect us– | 行为怪异,你还希望我们。。。 |
[26:03] | I’m not crazy! | 我不是疯子! |
[26:04] | You expect the jury to believe | 你希望陪审团相信 |
[26:06] | the victim fell in love with this, | 受害人会和这个人陷入爱河, |
[26:08] | voluntarily had sex with this, | 为之投怀送抱, |
[26:11] | willingly invited this into her apartment, | 主动请你进入她的公寓, |
[26:14] | her life, her bed? | 进入她的生活,和她上床? |
[26:156] | Objection! | 反对! |
[26:17] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[26:18] | Linda was a beautiful person. | Linda是个美人。 |
[26:19] | She loved all kinds of people. | 她喜欢各式各样的人。 |
[26:23] | She didn’t care what they looked like. | 她不在乎他们长什么样。 |
[26:36] | You need to call that Collins girl. | 你得传唤那个叫Collins的女孩出庭了。 |
[26:38] | It could end up backfiring on us with some of the jurors. | 这或许最终使一些陪审员对我们产生适得其反的看法。 |
[26:41] | We can’t afford to be that sensitive, Helen. | 我们承担不起为那样谨小慎微而付出的代价,Helen |
[26:43] | We try and be P. C. Here, we lose. | 我们要输了 |
[26:45] | Collins refutes what Johnson just testified to. | Collins可以反驳Johnson刚才的证言。 |
[26:48] | She’s all we have to refute it. | 我们要反驳这些证言全靠她了。 |
[26:50] | Part of our strategy is presenting sympathetic parents. | 我们的策略之一就是展现出令人同情的双亲。 |
[26:53] | It can’t be about that now. | 现在不能那样了。 |
[26:54] | It’s about showing there was never a relationship | 现在要证明Johnson和受害者之间根本就没有感情关系, |
[26:56] | between Johnson and the victim, period. | 这事就这么定了。 |
[26:59] | You know Eugene’s ready for her. | 你知道Eugene对此有准备的。 |
[27:00] | We have no choice. We need that witness. | 我别无选择,我们需要这个证人。 |
[27:04] | Call her. | 传她出庭。 |
[27:09] | WASHINGTON: Do you know why you’re in custody? | 你知道你为什么被拘押吗? |
[27:12] | The government believes | 我想当局认为我掌握关于某人的信息。 |
[27:13] | I may have information about someone, I think. | 我想当局认为我掌握关于某人的信息。 |
[27:15] | I don’t really know. | 我真的说不清。 |
[27:17] | He didn’t do anything, but he may have known some people | 那人没做什么事,但是他也许认识一些人, |
[27:20] | with ties to others who are wanted for questioning. | 这些人和别的一些被通缉的人有联系。 |
[27:23] | WASHINGTON: What information? What do they think you know? | 什么样的信息?他们为什么认为你知道? |
[27:25] | MCNALLY: Objection. | 反对。 |
[27:27] | Sustained. You can’t know that, Ms. Washington. | 反对有效,你不能去了解这些,Washington女士。 |
[27:30] | You haven’t talked to your family in weeks. | 你和你的家人几星期没有联系了。 |
[27:32] | Why did they keep you from talking to your family? | 为什么他们不让你联系你的家人? |
[27:35] | They didn’t. I chose not to call my family. | 不是他们不让,是我选择不与家人联系的。 |
[27:39] | Why? | 为什么? |
[27:40] | I was told anyone I spoke with | 我被告知,与我交谈的任何人都有可能成为调查对象。 |
[27:42] | would be subject to investigation. | 我被告知,与我交谈的任何人都有可能成为调查对象。 |
[27:43] | I do not want to bring my family into this. | 我不希望让我的家人牵扯进来。 |
[27:45] | My wife and children were born here. | 我的太太和孩子在这里出生。 |
[27:47] | They have no connection to any Arab… | 除了我之外, |
[27:51] | other than me. | 他们和任何和阿拉伯有关的,都没有关联。。。 |
[27:52] | Have you been interviewed? | 你接受过讯问吗? |
[27:55] | Many times. | 很多次。 |
[27:56] | Did you know you had the right to have an attorney present? | 你知道你有权请律师吗? |
[28:01] | I waived my rights. | 我放弃了我的权利。 |
[28:05] | You waived them? | 你放弃了? |
[28:07] | Voluntarily? | 自愿的? |
[28:09] | I talked to them on my own. | 我单独和他们谈话的。 |
[28:10] | They didn’t force me, not in any way. | 他们没有以任何形式强迫过我。 |
[28:12] | Did they make you afraid? | 他们让你感到恐惧了吗? |
[28:14] | Am I fearful? I guess I would say yes, | 我恐惧吗?我想我应该是的, |
[28:17] | but I have made all my decisions voluntarily. | 但我的决定都是自愿做出的。 |
[28:20] | You voluntarily refused to speak to your family? | 你主动拒绝和你家人联系? |
[28:25] | I explained that. I didn’t want to involve them. | 我解释过了,我不希望牵连他们。 |
[28:28] | Calling your wife to say you’re okay, | 打电话告诉你太太你没事, |
[28:31] | that would involve her? | 那也会牵连她? |
[28:34] | I couldn’t be sure it wouldn’t. | 我不能确信那样不会牵连她。 |
[28:36] | Mr. McNally, if Mr. Habib is not a suspect | McNally先生,如果Habib先生不是嫌犯。 |
[28:39] | and he’s cooperating, why can’t he go home? | 并且他予以配合,为什么不让他回家? |
[28:41] | We’re learning new information all the time | 我们一直在通过窃听和海外联络获得新的信息。 |
[28:44] | from wiretaps, overseas contacts. | 我们一直在通过窃听和海外联络获得新的信息。 |
[28:46] | He may know more than even he realizes. | 他知道的或许要比他意识到的要多。 |
[28:48] | But he’ll stay available to you. He’s not going anywhere. | 但他会为你待命的,他哪也不会去的。 |
[28:51] | He volunteered to help. | 他主动提供协助。 |
[28:53] | We can’t risk losing him. | 我们不能冒着找不到他的风险。 |
[28:55] | Look, we are trying to get the information we need | 听着,我们在努力收集我们需要的信息。 |
[28:57] | to stop the potential murder of thousands of Americans. | 以阻止潜在的对数以千计美国人的谋杀。 |
[29:00] | That means depriving some Americans of their civil rights. | 那意味着,剥夺了一些美国人的公民权利。 |
[29:02] | I don’t like it, but that’s how it is. | 我不喜欢这么做,但实际就是这样。 |
[29:05] | You’re imprisoning an innocent man. | 你在监禁一个无辜的人。 |
[29:07] | HABIB: Miss Washington, enough! | Washington小姐,够了! |
[29:10] | If my country thinks I should be here, | 如果我的国家认为我应该如此, |
[29:12] | I will stay here! | 我就这样好了! |
[29:14] | Your country? | 你的国家? |
[29:16] | Yes, I am an American! I am serving my country! | 是的,我是个美国人,我为我的国家效劳! |
[29:21] | Mr. Habib… | |
[29:24] | have you been tortured? | 你被拷问过吗? |
[29:25] | No. | 没有。 |
[29:26] | Have you been mistreated physically in any way? | 你遭受过身体上的虐待吗? |
[29:29] | No! | 没有! |
[29:30] | And you do not oppose being held further? | 你不反对被继续拘留吗? |
[29:32] | I do not! Your Honor, please wait. | – 我不反对! – 法官大人,请等一下。 |
[29:33] | WINWOOD: Miss Washington, I’m sorry. | Washington小姐,对不起。 |
[29:35] | In war, law is silent. | 在战争中,法律是沉默的。 |
[29:38] | Habeas motion is denied. | 人身保护动议被驳回。 |
[29:40] | Mr. Habib shall remain in custody. | Habib应被继续关押。 |
[29:49] | There is no way Linda McLaughlin was dating that man. | Linda McLaughlin不可能和这个男人约会。 |
[29:52] | GAMBLE: You know this? | 你知道? |
[29:53] | COLLINS: We were real close. | 我们关系很亲密。 |
[29:55] | If she was dating someone, I’d know. | 如果她和什么人约会了,我会知道的。 |
[29:58] | To your knowledge, was she dating anyone? | 据你所知,她在和人约会吗? |
[30:00] | Objection–speculation. | 反对。。。引导证人进行猜测。 |
[30:01] | Goes to rebuttal. | 目的是为了提出反驳。 |
[30:02] | We can refute the existence of a relationship. | 我们可以反驳这一段关系的存在。 |
[30:04] | Proceed. | 继续问吧。 |
[30:06] | She wasn’t dating him. | 她没有和他约会。 |
[30:10] | I’m sure. | 我肯定。 |
[30:10] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道呢? |
[30:12] | We talked about it, | 我们谈过这个事, |
[30:14] | about interracial relationships, on occasion. | 偶尔,关于跨种族关系。 |
[30:17] | She said… | 她说。。。 |
[30:20] | she said she wouldn’t date African-Americans. | 她说她不会和非裔美国人约会。 |
[30:24] | Ever. | 永远也不会。 |
[30:25] | Those were her exact words? | 这是她原话吗? |
[30:27] | Yes. | 是的 |
[30:28] | Among other things, | 除此之外, |
[30:30] | she said her parents would have a big problem with it, | 她说她父母对此很有意见。 |
[30:32] | particularly her dad. | 尤其是她的父亲。 |
[30:35] | GAMBLE: Thank you, Miss Collins. | 谢谢你,Collins |
[30:41] | You didn’t live with her, did you? | 你没和她住在一起,对吧? |
[30:42] | No. | 对。 |
[30:44] | So it’s possible she was seeing him without you knowing? | 那么,有没有可能她在你不知道的情况下和他见面? |
[30:47] | No. That’s not possible. | 不会,这不可能。 |
[30:51] | How can you know that? | 你怎么知道的? |
[30:53] | Because of what she said. | 因为她说过的, |
[30:54] | That her parents would have a problem | 她的父母很不赞同她同黑人约会, |
[30:56] | with her dating a black man, | 她的父母很不赞同她同黑人约会, |
[30:58] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[30:59] | YOUNG: Especially her father? | 尤其是她的父亲? |
[31:00] | COLLINS: Yes. | 是的。 |
[31:00] | Her father’s a racist, isn’t he? | 她的父亲是个种族主义者,不是吗? |
[31:02] | GAMBLE: Objection. YOUNG: Goes to bias. | – 反对 – 意图证明存在偏见 |
[31:03] | What bias? | 什么偏见? |
[31:04] | The victim concealed her relationship with my client | 受害者隐瞒了她与我当事人的关系 |
[31:07] | because she feared her father, who hates black people. | 是因为她害怕她那讨厌黑人的父亲。 |
[31:09] | GAMBLE: Objection! | 反对! |
[31:10] | KITTLESON: I’m warning you both for the last time. | 我最后警告你们俩一次。 |
[31:12] | Mr. Young, move on. | Young先生,你继续吧。 |
[31:15] | Miss Collins… | |
[31:18] | when you and Linda McLaughlin spoke | 当你和Linda McLaughlin谈论跨种族关系。 |
[31:19] | of interracial relationships, | 当你和Linda McLaughlin谈论跨种族关系。 |
[31:22] | what was your position on the matter? | 你在这个问题上是什么立场? |
[31:26] | I was against them, too. | 我也是反对他们的。 |
[31:27] | YOUNG: So Linda, knowing this, | 那么Linda知道你的态度, |
[31:30] | maybe she didn’t want you to find out | 也许她也不希望你发现她和Daryl的事。 |
[31:32] | about her and Daryl either. | 也许她也不希望你发现她和Daryl的事。 |
[31:33] | GAMBLE: Objection–Speculation. | 反对。。。引导证人进行猜测。 |
[31:34] | Overruled. | 反对无效。 |
[31:36] | Maybe because she knew you were a bigot, Ms. Collins, | Collins女士,也许因为她你知道你态度坚决, |
[31:38] | Linda just said she didn’t want to date a black man. | Linda就说她不想和黑人约会。 |
[31:40] | Objection! | 反对! |
[31:41] | That is more than enough, Mr. Young. | Young先生,已经足够了。 |
[31:43] | The witness may step down. | 证人可以退席了。 |
[31:52] | I assume the parties rest? | 我想举证都结束了吧? |
[31:54] | We have a rebuttal witness. | 我们还有一个反驳证人。 |
[31:55] | And who is that? | 是谁? |
[31:57] | YOUNG: Joe McLaughlin, the victim’s father. | Joe McLaughlin,受害人的父亲。 |
[31:59] | Objection! I have legitimate reasons | – 反对! – 我有正当理由 |
[32:01] | to call him. Name one. | – 传他出庭。 – 说一个出来听听。 |
[32:02] | The D. A.’s own witness just said the daughter had a motive | 地区检察官自己的证人刚才说 |
[32:05] | to hide her relationship from her father. | 女儿是有动机对她父亲隐瞒她的恋爱关系的。 |
[32:07] | I’m allowed to pursue that. | 我应被允许对此进一步探究。 |
[32:08] | GAMBLE: I would ask the court for time | 我会要求法庭给我时间和McLaughlin商量。。。 |
[32:10] | to consult with Mr. McLaughlin… | 我会要求法庭给我时间和McLaughlin商量。。。 |
[32:11] | You can’t have that right. He’s my witness. | 你没有这个权力,他是我的证人。 |
[32:13] | KITTLESON: Enough! | 够了! |
[32:16] | Mr. McLaughlin… | |
[32:18] | after lunch, you will take the stand. | 午饭后,你出庭作证。 |
[32:35] | MAN: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, | 你发誓,你尽其所知, |
[32:36] | and nothing but the truth, so help you God? | 所述之言纯属实言并且无任何隐瞒,愿上帝保佑。 |
[32:39] | I do. | 我发誓。 |
[32:40] | Be seated. | 请就座。 |
[32:45] | Mr. McLaughlin, | |
[32:46] | did you pressure your daughter not to date black men? | 你是否对你的女儿施压,不得和黑人约会吗? |
[32:53] | I asked you a question, sir. | 我向你提了一个问题,先生。 |
[32:56] | My daughter was killed by that man sitting right there. | 我的女儿被坐在那里的人杀了。 |
[32:59] | Move to strike– nonresponsive. | 请求不予记录。。。因其未回答问题。 |
[33:00] | Instruct the witness to answer the question. | 请指示证人回答问题。 |
[33:03] | Sustained. The jury will disregard. | 准许请求,陪审团忽略此回答。 |
[33:05] | Please answer the question, Mr. McLaughlin. | 请回答问题,McLaughlin先生。 |
[33:09] | I never pressured my daughter not to date black men. | 我从未对我的女儿施压不得与黑人约会。 |
[33:13] | Well, was she mistaken or did she lie | 那好,当她根Betsy Collins讲述关于你 |
[33:15] | when she told Betsy Collins that you would have trouble | 不赞同她和向我的当事人一样的人 发展跨种族恋爱关系的言论时, |
[33:17] | with her having an interracial relationship | 不赞同她和向我的当事人一样的人 发展跨种族恋爱关系的言论时, |
[33:19] | like the one she had with my client? | 她是弄错了还是撒谎了? |
[33:21] | Objection. | 反对。 |
[33:22] | There was no relationship with your client | 和你的当事人不存在什么恋爱关系。 |
[33:24] | Was she afraid to tell you? | 是她害怕告诉你吗? |
[33:26] | Objection! | 反对! |
[33:27] | I am not a racist, Mr. Young. | 我不是一个种族主义者,Young先生。 |
[33:28] | But you were against interracial relationships? | 但是你反对跨种族的恋爱关系吗? |
[33:32] | Like any father, I wanted my daughter to have a good life. | 像其他所有父亲一样,我希望我的女儿有好的生活。 |
[33:35] | I was really worried about interracial relationships | 我确实对跨种族恋爱关系担忧。 |
[33:38] | because they were subject to bigotry, | 因为他们会受到偏执者的影响, |
[33:39] | hatred for the couple. | 偏执者对这种夫妇是仇视的。 |
[33:41] | I mean, for the kids. | 我是说,为了孩子们考虑。 |
[33:43] | I see. | 我懂了。 |
[33:45] | So to protect her from bigots, you decided to become one? | 为了保护她不受偏执者的伤害,你决定成为偏执者? |
[33:47] | GAMBLE: Objection! YOUNG: Withdrawn. | – 反对 – 我撤回这句。 |
[33:49] | She knew you’d disapprove if she did date a black man, | 她知道如果她和一个黑人约会你会反对的, |
[33:51] | didn’t she, Mr. McLaughlin? | 不是吗,McLaughlin先生? |
[33:53] | She never dated that man! | 她根本没和那个人约会! |
[33:55] | Because if she did, | 因为如果她那样做了, |
[33:57] | she would have told you all about it, right, | 她会跟你说,对吧, |
[33:59] | knowing how open-minded you can be? | 知道你有多开明吗? |
[34:02] | If he’s black, | 如果他是黑人, |
[34:04] | it had to be rape, | 就一定是强奸, |
[34:06] | right, Mr. McLaughlin? | 对吧,McLaughlin先生? |
[34:08] | Objection! | 反对! |
[34:09] | Sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[34:18] | He agreed to be held. | 他同意被继续关押。 |
[34:20] | For what?! | 为了什么?! |
[34:22] | He didn’t do anything. | 他没做什么错事。 |
[34:26] | Are they torturing witnesses now, Rebecca? | Rebecca,现在还会拷问证人吗? |
[34:28] | I cannot believe that. | 我不相信会这样。 |
[34:29] | I read it in the paper. Maybe the CIA is doing that now. | 我在报纸上看到过,也许CIA现在还会这么做。 |
[34:33] | You asked the question yourself. | 你自己也问过这个问题。 |
[34:34] | Doctor, you know your husband, his personality, his demeanor. | 医生,你了解你的丈夫,他的性格,他的举止。 |
[34:38] | Did he seem like maybe he’d been tortured? | 他看起来像是受过拷问吗? |
[34:42] | He seemed… | 他似乎。。。 |
[34:44] | He seemed what? | 似乎什么? |
[34:46] | Intent on proving his loyalty to America. | 是想证明他对美国的忠诚。 |
[34:53] | Desperate to prove it. | 不顾一切地想证明。 |
[35:03] | Closing arguments are not evidence. | 结案陈词并不是证据。 |
[35:06] | Nothing the lawyers say is evidence. | 律师所说的都不做为证据。 |
[35:10] | Your verdict must be based solely on evidence. | 你的裁决必须完全基于证据。 |
[35:15] | YOUNG: They had an affair. | 他们之间是有风流韵事的。 |
[35:18] | The prosecution refuses to believe it. Why? | 控方拒绝承认这一点,为什么呢? |
[35:21] | The man in the parking lot sees a black man with a white woman | 在停车场的男证人看到 一个男性黑人和一个女性白人在一起 |
[35:24] | and assumes he’s hassling her. | 于是就假设他在骚扰她。 |
[35:27] | The woman in the hallway can’t tell one black man from another, | 在门厅的女证人无法区分黑人, |
[35:29] | so the prosecution would have you believe | 所以检方想让你们相信 |
[35:32] | that the only relationship | 一个男性黑人和一个女性白人之间的关系 |
[35:33] | that could be between a black man and white woman | 只能是凶手和受害者之间的关系。 |
[35:36] | is killer and victim. | 只能是凶手和受害者之间的关系。 |
[35:39] | GAMBLE: The defendant was seen arguing with her | 有人在停车场看见被告和她发生争执。 |
[35:41] | in the parking lot. | 有人在停车场看见被告和她发生争执。 |
[35:43] | A witness watched him follow her home angry. | 有证人看到他很生气地尾随她回家。 |
[35:48] | He was seen coming out of Linda’s apartment. | 他被看见从Linda的公寓里出来。 |
[35:51] | His prints were on the murder weapon. | 凶器上有他的指纹。 |
[35:53] | His semen was found in the victim. | 受害者身上有他的精液。 |
[35:56] | Neither the race of the defendant nor the victim | 被告或受害人的种族归属 |
[36:00] | should have any bearing on your verdict. | 都不应对你们的裁决产生任何影响。 |
[36:04] | It is irrelevant | 这是毫无关联的。 |
[36:05] | and must not be considered by you in any way. | 无论如何也不必去考虑。 |
[36:08] | YOUNG: Linda McLaughlin had a motive | Linda有否认他和我的当事人之间的恋情的动机。 |
[36:10] | to deny her relationship with my client. | Linda有否认他和我的当事人之间的恋情的动机。 |
[36:15] | She feared her father. | 她害怕她的父亲。 |
[36:17] | Her father doesn’t like black people. | 她的父亲不喜欢黑人。 |
[36:20] | There’s no evidence to suggest someone else killed her. | 没有证据显示会是别的人杀了她。 |
[36:24] | No one else’s prints were found anywhere in the apartment. | 在公寓里没有发现别人的指纹。 |
[36:28] | The evidence points only to the defendant. | 证据只指向了被告。 |
[36:32] | Of course his prints were on the lamp. | 他的指纹当然会在台灯上。 |
[36:35] | He would visit her. He slept with her. | 他去看望她,他和她上床。 |
[36:37] | They only looked for one defendant. | 警方只找了一个被告。 |
[36:39] | Daryl Johnson is on trial, ladies and gentlemen, | 先生们女士们,Daryl Johnson之所以受审, |
[36:43] | simply because he’s black. | 只是因为他是个黑人。 |
[36:46] | All we ask is… | 我们的要求只是。。。 |
[36:52] | honor your oath. | 遵守你的誓言。 |
[37:05] | Hey. | |
[37:06] | WASHINGTON: Hey. | |
[37:10] | What’s happening? | 怎么回事? |
[37:11] | Nothing. | 没什么。 |
[37:13] | He’s in custody, he’s instructed me not to challenge it, | 他被拘押,他指示我不要对此提出质疑。 |
[37:15] | and he’s staying in custody. | 于是他就一直被拘押着。 |
[37:17] | For how long? | 关多久? |
[37:18] | I don’t know. The case is over. | 我不知道,这案子结了。 |
[37:21] | I’m working on the newly interrogatories now anyway. | 不管怎么说,我现在开始处理最新的书面质询文件了。 |
[37:25] | Okay. You all right? | 好吧,你有些不对劲吧? |
[37:27] | Why wouldn’t I be all right? | 为什么我会不对劲呢? |
[37:30] | Rebecca. | |
[37:36] | We’re back. | 我们倒退了。 |
[37:38] | We’re back to… | 倒退回哪儿。。。 |
[37:39] | Interning people, | 不经审讯就实行关押 |
[37:41] | sticking them in prison because of where they were born. | 因为人们的出生地而把他们关进监狱。 |
[37:44] | It happened in World War II with the Japanese-Americans, | 这在二次大战的日裔美国人身上发生过, |
[37:46] | and it’s back. | 这种事又发生了。 |
[37:48] | The government will apologize for it later, | 政府后来为此做了道歉。 |
[37:49] | but then it’ll be too late. | 但太迟了。 |
[37:51] | Innocent people are having their lives ruined now. | 无辜的人们的生活现在正在被毁掉。 |
[37:57] | Mr. Habib–he thinks being a good American | Habib先生。。。他认为一个优秀的美国人 |
[38:01] | is giving up your rights, not fighting for them. | 应该放弃自己的权力,不和当局抗争。 |
[38:07] | Most people know | Rebecca,大多数人都认为 |
[38:08] | that Arab-Americans are Americans, Rebecca, | 阿拉伯裔美国人也是美国人, |
[38:10] | and that they’re our neighbors, | 他们是我们的同胞。 |
[38:12] | but everyone’s afraid. | 但每个人都有恐惧。 |
[38:17] | We don’t know who we know and who we don’t know and… | 我们搞不清楚,我们了解哪些人,不了解哪些人。。。 |
[38:21] | we’re afraid. | 我们有恐惧。 |
[38:25] | Yeah. | 是啊。 |
[38:29] | We’re back. | 我们倒退了。 |
[38:58] | KITTLESON: Let the record reflect | 请记录双方均在场, |
[39:00] | that the parties are present | 请记录双方均在场, |
[39:01] | and that the jury has returned. | 且陪审团做出了裁决。 |
[39:04] | The defendant will please rise. | 请被告起立。 |
[39:08] | Mr. Forman, as to the charge of murder in the first degree, | 陪审团主席先生,关于一级谋杀指控, |
[39:11] | how say you? | 你们的裁决是? |
[39:13] | Your honor, the jury has a statement. | 法官大人,陪审团要发表一个声明。 |
[39:17] | You have a what? | 发表什么? |
[39:19] | We were told it was our civic duty to serve on a jury | 我们被告知,作为一个陪审员是我们的公民义务。 |
[39:21] | because the constitution guarantees every defendant | 因为宪法保障每个被告享有 |
[39:24] | the absolute right to be judged by a jury of his peers. | 由他的同辈组成的陪审团进行审判的绝对权力。 (a jury of his peers,指现有的陪审员 包括广泛的人口,特别是种族、国籍和性别) |
[39:27] | This is not a forum for– | 这不是一个论坛。。。 |
[39:28] | FORMAN: We were told that the American system, | 我们被告知美国的体制尽管有缺陷, |
[39:30] | for all its flaws, | 我们被告知美国的体制尽管有缺陷, |
[39:31] | is the best system in the world | 但因其具有公民陪审团的观念 |
[39:33] | because of the concept of the citizen jury. | 而是世界上最好的体制。 |
[39:35] | Move for immediate reading of the verdict. | 立刻宣读裁决结果。 |
[39:37] | But what we found– Sir! | – 但我们发现。。。 – 先生! |
[39:40] | You have one more chance | 在被判藐视法庭前,你还有一次机会 |
[39:42] | before you risk a finding of contempt. | 在被判藐视法庭前,你还有一次机会 |
[39:47] | Have you all agreed on a verdict? | 你们达成一致裁决了吗? |
[39:50] | What we’ve agreed on | 我们达成一致的是 |
[39:53] | is that this has been about… | 这是关于。。。 |
[39:56] | the most appalling spectacle we have ever seen. | 我们见过的最骇人听闻的场面。 |
[40:00] | The only thing that should matter in here | 这里唯一重要的是 |
[40:02] | is did the defendant or did he not commit the crime? | 被告,或者称之为他,到底犯罪了没有? |
[40:06] | Nobody here cares– not her, not him. | 没有人关注这一点,检方没有,辩方也没有。 |
[40:11] | And not you. | 你也没有。 |
[40:14] | Nothing that’s gone on here has been about giving the jurors | 这里没有拿出任何可以供陪审团去做出正确决定的东西 |
[40:16] | the information they need to make the right decision. | 这里没有拿出任何可以供陪审团去做出正确决定的东西 |
[40:21] | A girl is dead. A man’s freedom is at risk. | 一个姑娘死了,一个男人的自由处于险境。 |
[40:24] | If he killed her, his liberties should be forfeited, | 如果他杀了她,他的自由应被剥夺, |
[40:28] | and we’re supposed to decide… | 而我们应该去决定。。。 |
[40:31] | based on what, exactly? | 到底基于什么呢? |
[40:36] | We want justice for the victim, | 我们想为受害者伸张正义, |
[40:41] | but we can’t provide it. | 但是我们无法做到。 |
[40:43] | KITTLESON: Are you saying you cannot reach | 你是说你们无法达成一致意见吗? |
[40:46] | a unanimous verdict? | 你是说你们无法达成一致意见吗? |
[40:48] | No, your honor. | 不,法官大人。 |
[40:50] | What we’re saying is we refuse to try. | 我们要说的是,我们拒绝去做出裁决。 |
[40:54] | We have not reached a verdict. | 我们没有得出一个裁决 |
[40:55] | We will not reach a verdict. | 我们也不会去得出一个裁决。 |
[40:59] | If you want to hold us in contempt, | 如果你要判我们藐视法庭, |
[41:02] | well, there’s a certain justice in that | 那好吧,这个判决一定是公正的, |
[41:04] | because contempt is what we feel. | 因为我们现在的感受就是蔑视。 |
[41:17] | You are in contempt. | 你们被判藐视法庭。 |
[41:18] | Security, would you please take the jury into custody? | 警卫,请将陪审团收押。 |
[41:23] | I declare this a mistrial. | 我宣布本次审判无效。 |
[41:26] | Miss Gamble, you may ask for a date | Gamble小姐,你可以要求择日重审。 |
[41:28] | to begin the retrial. | Gamble小姐,你可以要求择日重审。 |
[41:31] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭。 |
[42:22] | The judge allowed me to withdraw, | 法官允许我退出, |
[42:24] | so for the next trial… | 所以重审。。。 |
[42:28] | you have my best wishes. | 我祝你好运。 |
[42:32] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[42:36] | Well, they certainly reached a verdict on us, anyway. | 不管怎么说,他们无疑是对我们做出了一个裁决。 |
[42:40] | Yep. | 是呀。 |
[42:43] | Got a little ugly, but I don’t think we were that out of line. | 这有点丑陋,但我不认为我们行为不当。 |
[42:47] | It’s a trial. What do they expect? | 这是一次庭审,他们指望什么呢? |
[42:50] | I don’t know. | 我不知道。 |
[42:52] | You know jurors. | 你了解这些陪审团的。 |
[42:58] | We can’t beat ourselves up over this, Eugene. | 我们不能为此自责,Eugene |
[43:04] | Nope. | 我没有。 |
[43:06] | Heads high. | 振作起来。 |
[43:09] | Heads high. | 振作起来。 |
[43:19] | (music playing) | |
[43:45] | WOMAN: You stinker. |