时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | LINDSAY: Previously on The Practice: | 前集回顾未作翻译。 |
[00:02] | If he takes me out, I don’t want you to let him walk. | |
[00:05] | If I’m dead, you let someone know what happened. | |
[00:07] | Russell said if anything happened to him, | |
[00:09] | tell the police about Derek Grant. | |
[00:11] | The client told you what happened in confidence. | |
[00:14] | It won’t matter if he’s dead! | |
[00:15] | There’s a man named Derek Grant. | |
[00:17] | We’re asking you to question the guy. | |
[00:19] | Derek Grant was shot to death two nights ago | |
[00:21] | on the corner of 128 and Linden. | |
[00:23] | You ordered me to tell the police! | |
[00:25] | If I was dead! | |
[00:26] | I thought you were dead! | |
[00:27] | Russell Hampton, you’re under arrest | |
[00:29] | for the murder of Derek Grant. | |
[00:30] | You have the right to remain silent. | |
[00:32] | When this started, all they had was a dime bag of crack. | |
[00:35] | They couldn’t charge you with murder | |
[00:36] | if you didn’t keep killing people! | |
[00:37] | You gave me up! | |
[00:39] | (yells) | |
[00:41] | (grunting) | |
[00:43] | (door bangs open) | |
[00:46] | Get in there! | |
[00:47] | Go! Get him out! | |
[00:49] | Gotta get him out. | |
[00:50] | Aah! | |
[00:53] | You should get some rest. | |
[00:54] | I’m fine. | |
[00:56] | You guys don’t need to worry. | |
[01:05] | Your cellmate, dead. | 你同室狱友,死了。 |
[01:09] | Your fingerprints on the knife. | 刀上有你的指纹。 |
[01:12] | Your confession to the murder. | 你对谋杀的供述。 |
[01:17] | We don’t win this one, Ray. | Ray,这个案子我们赢不了。 |
[01:20] | This is a case we plead to. | 这是个我们要认罪的案子。 |
[01:24] | Go over it again. | 再想想办法。 |
[01:25] | This is getting really boring. | 我真是烦了。 |
[01:27] | Not to me. I love court days. | 我不觉得烦,我喜欢出庭。 |
[01:29] | Beats watching TV. | 比呆在监室看电视强。 |
[01:31] | Food’s better than state prison. | 吃得也比州监狱强。 |
[01:34] | I can hit on you. Guard! | – 我还能逗逗你玩。 – 警卫! |
[01:35] | No! No, don’t call the guards. | 别!别!别把警卫招来。 |
[01:38] | I know about the guards. | 我了解这些警卫。 |
[01:39] | Don’t screw around with me, Ray. | 别跟我胡扯蛋,Ray。 |
[01:41] | I didn’t tell you before ’cause I was scared you wouldn’t believe me. | 我以前没跟你说,是因为怕你不相信。 |
[01:51] | The guards set up fights between the inmates and bet on ’em. | 这些警卫挑动同室囚犯打斗并押注。 |
[01:56] | They wanted me to fight Baumann. | 他们希望我跟Baumann干一架。 |
[01:58] | But before I could tell anyone, they killed him. | 我还没来得及说,他们就干掉了他。 |
[02:04] | Are you saying they framed you? | 你是说他们陷害了你? |
[02:07] | You don’t rat out the guards and live. | 出卖警卫肯定活不了的。 |
[02:09] | But I got no choice. | 但我别无选择。 |
[02:11] | I can’t do more prison time. | 我不能再呆下去了。 |
[02:13] | If you’re saying you have a defense, | 如果你是说你有辩护理由, |
[02:15] | I need to know. | 我需要知道。 |
[02:22] | Is this true? | 这是真的吗? |
[02:29] | No. But I sure as hell had you going. | 不是。但我肯定是忽悠到你了。 |
[02:32] | You’re an idiot. | 你是个白痴。 |
[02:34] | Come on, it’s a winner! We can get a jury to buy it. | 别呀,这办法会管用的!我们能让陪审团吃这一套。 |
[02:35] | We’ve done it before. | 我们以前就做过。 |
[02:36] | When we had a defense, Ray. | 那时我们有辩护理由,Ray。 |
[02:42] | Look… if I can get a plea deal to ten years | 听着。。。如果我能在你目前刑期的基础上, |
[02:46] | on top of your current sentence– | 争取到十年刑期的交易。 |
[02:47] | Ten? | 十年? |
[02:50] | Plus three on my robbery charge? | 加上我抢劫罪的指控? |
[02:54] | I can’t do 13 years. | 我会坐十三年的牢。 |
[02:57] | I was serious about that. | 我说认真的。 |
[02:59] | I can’t do the time I got left. | 我熬不完剩下的刑期。 |
[03:03] | Ray, when you get convicted this time, | Ray,这次你要是被定罪了, |
[03:07] | it’s mandatory life. | 依法会判终身监禁的。 |
[03:12] | So you either let me make a deal, | 所以你要么让我去争取达成交易, |
[03:14] | or you’ll have to start getting used to the idea | 要么你就得有把牢底坐穿的思想准备。 |
[03:16] | that you are going to die in prison. | 要么你就得有把牢底坐穿的思想准备。 |
[03:21] | It’s your choice. | 你来选吧。 |
[04:15] | There’s nothing you can challenge? | 你一点质疑也提不出来吗? |
[04:16] | His confession was voluntary and vividly incriminating. | 他的供述是自愿的,而且罪行清晰。 |
[04:20] | And you can forget self-defense. | 你居然忘记用正当防卫理由。 |
[04:22] | He admitted the victim was asleep when he stabbed him. | 他承认了是在受害人睡觉的时候捅的他。 |
[04:25] | Why did he do it? He won’t tell me. | – 他为什么那样做? – 他不会跟我解释的。 |
[04:27] | How many times you’ve represented this guy? | 你代理过这家伙几次? |
[04:29] | Well, this makes four. | 四次。 |
[04:31] | And to be honest, I’ve always liked the guy, | 说实话,我一直挺喜欢他的 |
[04:33] | but since he’s been in prison… I don’t know. | 但自从他进了监狱。。。我说不清。 |
[04:36] | After a while, it drives them all crazy. | 入狱一段时间后,他们都会被逼疯的。 |
[04:38] | He’s agreed to let me try and plead it. | 他同意让我试试去达成认罪交易。 |
[04:46] | Good morning? | 你怎么了? |
[04:52] | What the hell are you doing here? | 你怎么跑这儿来了? |
[04:54] | I told you he’d come back too fast. | 我跟你说了别这么快回来。 |
[04:56] | Hello to you, too, everyone. It’s good to be back. | 大家好。回来的感觉真好 |
[04:59] | Hey, Bobby, you look… | 嗨,Bobby,你看起来。。。 |
[05:02] | …bad. LUCY: Nice, Jimmy. | – 。。。不怎么样。 – 真会说话,Jimmy。 |
[05:05] | Why don’t you drop the macho crap and go home? | 你何不别再逞能了,回家去吧? |
[05:07] | Lucy, get me the Cheswick file. | Lucy,给我Cheswick的材料。 |
[05:09] | When Eugene gets in, | 等Eugene来了, |
[05:11] | tell him we need to go over the finances. | 通知他我们需要仔细讨论一下财务状况。 |
[05:24] | No deal. My case is way too strong. | 没有什么控辩交易,我这案子太有胜算了。 |
[05:27] | Can’t you just once be reasonable? | 你就不能讲一次理吗? |
[05:29] | If he pleads, he will serve 13 years | 如果他认罪,他在能被考虑假释前甚至会服刑13年。 |
[05:31] | before he’s even considered for parole. | 如果他认罪,他在能被考虑假释前甚至会服刑13年。 |
[05:33] | He committed coldblooded murder! | 他犯下了令人发指的谋杀罪! |
[05:35] | He ought to stay in prison for life. | 他应该一辈子都关在监狱里。 |
[05:37] | Plus, it’s only a one-day trial. | 而且,一天就能审完了。 |
[05:38] | Ellenor, don’t beg this guy. | Ellenor,别求这个人。 |
[05:41] | You got a real stick up your ass. | 你的屁股还真是撅起来了。 |
[05:42] | Shut up, Ray! | 闭嘴,Ray! |
[05:44] | You know why I bet you suck? | 你知道为什么我敢肯定你是个烂人吗? |
[05:47] | Because people hate arrogant. | 因为大家厌恶傲慢的家伙。 |
[05:50] | Now, me– juries love me. | 现在,我。。。陪审团会向着我的。 |
[05:52] | That last jury loved you. | 向着你的是上一个陪审团。 |
[05:54] | I pled to the robbery charge. I had no choice. | 对于抢劫指控我认罪,我没办法。 |
[05:56] | They had me on videotape. | 我被录了像。 |
[05:57] | I’ve never been convicted by a jury. | 但我从来没有被陪审团定过罪。 |
[06:02] | We can beat this chump. | 我们能打败这个蠢货。 |
[06:05] | No, we can’t. | 不,我们不能。 |
[06:21] | Collections are down. | 托收结算额下降了。 |
[06:22] | Welcome to the recession. Clients are hurting. | 欢迎来到萧条时代。客户们都境况不佳了。 |
[06:26] | Some firms in town are taking 50 cents on the dollar. | 城里有些事务所收入都打对折了。 |
[06:28] | I can’t afford to be out anymore. | 我再也没法支付出差费用了。 |
[06:31] | Anybody out there need my help? | 有人需要我提供支持吗? |
[06:33] | Ellenor’s got a trial that’s gonna plead. | Ellenor办的案子会按认罪处理。 |
[06:35] | Everybody else is covered. | 其他人的都没什么问题。 |
[06:39] | What’s your schedule? | 你的日程安排是什么? |
[06:41] | Don’t you start now. | 你又来了。 |
[06:42] | For now, you shouldn’t be taking | 眼下,你不应该再接任何刑事案件了,Bobby |
[06:45] | any criminal cases, Bobby. | 眼下,你不应该再接任何刑事案件了,Bobby |
[06:46] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[06:48] | Before you go back into a cell with another client, | 在你和另一个当事人回到他的囚室前, |
[06:50] | we think it would be best for you to get your legs back. | 我们认为你最好止步。 |
[06:53] | “We think”? | “你们认为”? |
[06:54] | Bobby– Wait a second. – Bobby。。。 | – 等等。 |
[06:56] | You and Lindsay got together and decided | 你和Lindsay一起决定我应该怎么办案子吗? |
[06:58] | how I should practice law? | 你和Lindsay一起决定我应该怎么办案子吗? |
[07:00] | No. The whole firm decided this. | 不,整个事务所都是这个意见。 |
[07:03] | Well, do me a favor. | 那好,拜托你了。 |
[07:05] | Next time my firm plans on discussing my career, | 下次大家要规划我的职业生涯时, |
[07:08] | let me know. I’d like to be there. | 通知我一声。我应该在场。 |
[07:26] | Give him time. | 给他点时间思考。 |
[07:29] | He won’t give himself time. | 他不会给自己时间思考的。 |
[07:32] | He won’t even talk about what happened. | 他甚至都不愿去谈。 |
[07:35] | You know, your husband’s not real big | 你知道的,你的丈夫不太善于和人分享感受。 |
[07:37] | on sharing his feelings. Oh. | 你知道的,你的丈夫不太善于和人分享感受。 |
[07:39] | Or hadn’t you noticed? | 你还没注意到吗? |
[07:41] | I noticed that he feels like we’re attacking him. | 我注意到他好像是觉得我们在攻击他。 |
[07:45] | He probably does. | 他也许是那样想的。 |
[07:47] | Right now, he’s something he never wanted to be: | 此刻,他是一个他绝不想变成的角色: |
[07:49] | A victim. | 受害人。 |
[07:51] | It’s not easy for him to deal with. | 这对他来说很难适应。 |
[07:54] | You know that. | 你懂的。 |
[08:05] | When I defended him before, he listened to me. | 以前我为他做辩护的时候,他听我的。 |
[08:07] | Now he won’t take my advice or help me develop a usable defense. | 现在他不接受我的建议 或者不帮着我找出有用的辩护理由。 |
[08:11] | I can’t, in good conscience, continue to be his lawyer. | 公道地讲,我无法再做他的律师了。 |
[08:14] | This is a ploy to get a continuance. | 这是一种拖延战术。 |
[08:15] | Mr. Lowe knows I have a real conflict. | Lowe先生清楚我是真的发生争执了。 |
[08:18] | I know your client doesn’t have a defense. | 我清楚的是你的当事人没有辩护理由。 |
[08:20] | I don’t care what you know. | 我不关心你清楚什么。 |
[08:21] | I care about Mr. McMurphy. He’s the one facing trial. | 我关心的是McMurphy先生,他才是那个要被审判的人。 |
[08:24] | Sir, are you and Ms. Frutt having problems? | 先生,你和Frutt女士之间有矛盾吗? |
[08:30] | Thank you for asking, Your Honor. | 法官大人,谢谢你的询问。 |
[08:35] | Sorry. I get nervous. | 对不起,我有些紧张。 |
[08:37] | That’s all right, son. Take your time. | 不要紧张,孩子,慢慢来。 |
[08:40] | It’s just that… she wants me to plead guilty, | 只是因为。。。她想让我认罪。 |
[08:44] | and I want my day in court. | 而我想经过庭审来审理。 |
[08:47] | Are you pressuring him to plead? | 你逼他认罪? |
[08:48] | Frankly, yes. | 老实说,是的。 |
[08:50] | As his lawyer, I have a duty to stop him from pursuing | 作为他的律师, |
[08:51] | a trial he can’t win. | 我有责任阻止他去寻求一次肯定会输的庭审。 |
[08:54] | But that’s his choice, not yours. | 但那是由他而不是你来选择, |
[08:56] | If he wants a trial, he gets a trial. | 如果他想上庭,他就可以如愿。 |
[08:58] | Not with me as his lawyer. | 那别让我做他的律师。 |
[09:00] | We have a conflict. Let him get new counsel. | 我们有冲突,让他找个新律师吧。 |
[09:02] | We’re ready today. | 我们今天已经一切就绪了。 |
[09:04] | Bringing in a new lawyer will delay the case | 找个新律师会延迟一个月,也许一年。 |
[09:05] | for months, maybe a year. | 找个新律师会延迟一个月,也许一年。 |
[09:06] | No! | 不行! |
[09:09] | I don’t want to go back upstate right now. | 我现在不想回监狱去。 |
[09:12] | I want a trial today. | 我要求今天就出庭。 |
[09:16] | I’ll be my own lawyer. I’ll defend myself. | 我会做自己的律师,我给自己辩护。 |
[09:20] | That is a bad idea. That’s also a ploy. | – 这不是个好主意 – 这也是一种策略 |
[09:22] | After he’s convicted, he’ll appeal | 等他被定罪后,他会提出上诉 |
[09:24] | and say that we violated his right to counsel. | 并称我们侵害了他接受律师咨询的权利, |
[09:26] | I’ll waive that appeal. | 我放弃那样的上诉。 |
[09:27] | And later say that the waiver was unknowing. | 然后他又会放弃声明是在不知情的情况下做出的。 |
[09:29] | No! I can have Ms. Frutt advise me. | 不会的!我可以向Frutt女士咨询。 |
[09:32] | Then I’ll waive it, | 然后我做出放弃声明, |
[09:33] | which means it will be knowing. | 那就是具备知情条件了。 |
[09:35] | Sir, I advise you not to represent yourself. | 先生,我建议你不要做自己的代理。 |
[09:38] | If you choose– But… | – 如果你选择。。。 – 但是。。。 |
[09:42] | …I have a right to. | 。。。我有权这么做。 |
[09:44] | Don’t I? | 不是吗? |
[09:48] | I choose to exercise that right. | 我选择行使这项权力。 |
[09:53] | May I have one second, Your Honor? | 可以给我点时间吗,法官大人? |
[09:57] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? |
[09:58] | I wanna go to trial now, with or without you. | 我现在就想上庭,不管有没有你。 |
[10:01] | Ray, you may be nuts, but you are not crazy. | Ray,你也许是有些狂,但你没疯。 |
[10:04] | Which means my wish should be respected. | 这就是说我的愿望应该得到尊重。 |
[10:07] | You will be convicted! | 你会被判罪名成立的。 |
[10:09] | Ellenor… no, I won’t. | Ellenor。。。不,不会的。 |
[10:21] | He wants to represent himself, Your Honor. | 法官大人,他希望自行辩护, |
[10:24] | Fine. But he’ll do so with hybrid representation. | 那好,但他要采用共同辩护的方式。 |
[10:27] | Ms. Frutt, I’m ordering you to assist him as standby counsel. | Frutt女士,我指派你作为后备律师协助他。 |
[10:30] | What? | 什么? |
[10:31] | The law says he can do it pro se, | 法律规定他可以自行辩护, |
[10:34] | but I’m allowed to protect him. | 但允许我对他予以保护。 |
[10:35] | Let him get somebody else. | 给他找个别人吧。 |
[10:37] | No. I have you. | 不行,我就指派你。 |
[10:40] | Mr. McMurphy, once again, I must warn you | McMurphy先生,再说一遍,我必须要警告你 |
[10:43] | that defending yourself is a very serious step. | 选择自行辩护是需要非常慎重考虑的一步。 |
[10:46] | Are you sure it’s one you want to take? | 你确定你要迈出这一步吗? |
[10:48] | Yes. | 是的。 |
[10:50] | I-I’ve been through enough trials | 我。。。我已经经历过太多的出庭了 |
[10:51] | to know how they work. I can do this… with help. | 我了解是怎么回事,我能行。。。如果得到帮助的话。 |
[10:56] | I object to being forced to help a man convict himself. | 我对被强迫去帮助一个人获罪而感到反感。 |
[10:59] | I think what you object to, Ms. Frutt, | Frutt女士,我认为你所反感的 |
[11:01] | is the client taking control of his case, | 是当事人掌控了他的案子, |
[11:04] | but that’s his right. He’s the one in charge, not you. | 但那是他的权力,他才是对之负责的那个人,不是你。 |
[11:06] | Therefore, you will serve as standby counsel, | 因此,你将作为后备律师, |
[11:09] | and Mr. McMurphy will have his day in court. | 而McMurphy先生将如愿出庭。 |
[11:12] | See you at 11:00. | 11点开庭。 |
[11:30] | So he’s defending himself? | 那么说他要自行辩护? |
[11:31] | Not my idea. | 不是我的主意。 |
[11:33] | You still have to be there? | 你还得去出庭吗? |
[11:34] | Yes. He wants copies of the local rules, | 是的,他要地方法规的复印件, |
[11:37] | a textbook on criminal procedures, | 一本刑事诉讼范本, |
[11:39] | and the evidence code. | 以及证据法典。 |
[11:40] | And you have to hurry. It starts in two hours. | 你得快点。两小时后就要开庭。 |
[11:42] | So you’re second chair to him? | 那么说你要做他的副手? |
[11:43] | Lucy, hurry! | Lucy,快点吧! |
[11:50] | If you don’t wear it, you will look guilty. | 你不穿上这个的话,你那样子就像是有罪的。 |
[11:53] | Ellenor, they’re gonna know I’m in prison | Ellenor,他们听到我是在哪儿杀的人, |
[11:55] | when they hear where I killed him. | 就会知道我是被关在监狱里的。 |
[11:56] | Me wearing that will just look phony. | 我穿上这个只会让人觉得很假。 |
[11:59] | Now, can we talk about the trial? | 眼下,我们能谈谈庭审吗? |
[12:01] | Go ahead. You’re in charge. | 尽管去吧,是你做主。 |
[12:04] | That judge seems like a liberal. | 那个法官似乎是个开明的人。 |
[12:06] | He is, particularly at sentencing, | 他的确是的,尤其是在量刑的时候, |
[12:08] | which is why you should plead. | 这就是为什么你应该认罪的原因。 |
[12:10] | A conviction takes away his discretion. | 经陪审团定罪的话,他无法使用自由裁量权了 |
[12:13] | But if I waive jury and have him decide it, | 但如果我放弃由陪审团裁定而由他来决定的话, |
[12:15] | will he acquit me? | 他会判我无罪吗? |
[12:18] | No. | 不会的。 |
[12:20] | You’re better off with a jury. | 你还是经由陪审团为好。 |
[12:22] | You still say frame-up and self-defense are out? | 你还是认为不能用陷害和自卫的理由吗? |
[12:23] | Completely. | 完全不能用。 |
[12:24] | What other defenses do we have? | 我们还有别的辩护理由吗? |
[12:26] | Listen, Ray, even as your backup counsel, | 听着,Ray,即使作为你的后备律师, |
[12:28] | I can’t let you just– | 我不能让你。。。 |
[12:29] | But as my advisor, | 但作为我的顾问, |
[12:32] | you at least have to tell me what my options are. | 你至少得告诉我有什么选项。 |
[12:39] | Alibi– | 不在现场证明。。。 |
[12:40] | you were somewhere else, which won’t work, | 指的是你在别处,这条不管用, |
[12:41] | because you were locked in a cell. | 因为你们被关在牢房里。 |
[12:45] | Go on. Insanity– | – 接着说。 – 精神错乱。。。 |
[12:46] | the prison shrink says you’re not. | 监狱心理医生说你没有 |
[12:47] | Necessity– not applicable on these facts. | 紧急避险。。。在这案子里不适用 |
[12:50] | Jury nullification– it’s illegal to even– | 陪审团拒绝定罪。。。这是不合法的。。。 |
[12:52] | Uh, go back. | 呃,回到刚才说的。 |
[12:54] | What’s a necessity defense? It doesn’t work– | – 紧急避险辩护是指什么? – 这个不适用。。。 |
[12:57] | Just tell me what is!! | 只管告诉我这什么意思!! |
[13:05] | You killed him because somebody forced you to. | 你因为别人逼你才杀了他。 (从这句的解释看,前面说的necessity可能有误, 这种情况应该是“duress”即胁迫) |
[13:10] | That’s my defense. | 这就是我的辩护理由。 |
[13:11] | No, it’s not, Ray. Nobody forced you to– | 不,不是的,Ray。没有人强迫你。。。 |
[13:14] | Ellenor, you know how you survive in prison? | Ellenor,你知道在狱中怎么活下来吗? |
[13:17] | You grab opportunities. | 你得抓住机会。 |
[13:22] | Now get me some cases on necessity. | 现在给我一些以胁迫为理由辩护的案例 |
[13:30] | Trial on the defendant’s assault charge | 对于被告的侵犯人身罪的庭审上周开始。 |
[13:32] | was to begin last week, | 对于被告的侵犯人身罪的庭审上周开始。 |
[13:33] | but Mr. Donnell was in the hospital | 但Donnell先生因另一起案件导致住院。 |
[13:35] | as the result of another case. | 但Donnell先生因另一起案件导致住院。 |
[13:37] | Third continuance, Mr. Donnell– | 第三次延期审理了,Donnell先生。。。 |
[13:38] | When will you be back in the saddle? | 你什么时候会归位? |
[13:40] | I’m back now, Judge. | 我现在就可以了,法官大人。 |
[13:42] | Well, then, you’re in luck. | 那好,算你走运。 |
[13:43] | We had a case plead out. We can take today. | 我们这个案子有份认罪协议,我们今天就可以完成。 |
[13:47] | Today? | 今天? |
[13:54] | Can I have a moment with my client? | 我能和我的当事人谈几句吗? |
[13:58] | Sure. | 当然可以。 |
[14:05] | What do you want to do? Get it over with. | – 你想干什么? – 赶紧完事算了。 |
[14:11] | Well, we don’t have to go today. | 我们不必急着今天办完。 |
[14:14] | Under the law, you’re entitled to more time. | 依照法律,你有权获得更多的时间。 |
[14:18] | Do I want more time? | 我需要多些时间吗? |
[14:20] | It never hurts. | 反正也不会有坏处。 |
[14:21] | It gives us a chance to… | 这会给我们一个继续调查的机会。。。 |
[14:25] | …keep investigating your defense. | 这会给我们一个继续调查的机会。。。 |
[14:28] | Judge Bournes, may I be heard? | Bournes法官大人,我能发言吗? |
[14:31] | I’ve just realized I have a scheduling conflict. | 我刚刚意识到我的日程安排有冲突。 |
[14:34] | A later date would be better for me. | 日期延后会比较好些 |
[14:36] | How about, uh… June 6th? | 如果是,呃。。。6月6日? |
[14:41] | Okay with your client, Mr. Donnell? | Donnell先生,你的当事人有意见吗? |
[14:45] | Yes, that would be fine. | 没问题。 |
[14:47] | See you in June. We’re adjourned. | 六月见,休庭。 |
[14:51] | Bobby, we need to talk. | Bobby,我们得谈谈。 |
[14:52] | Yeah… later. | 可以。。。稍后吧。 |
[14:58] | You take care of yourself. | 你多多保重吧 |
[15:05] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团先生们女士们, |
[15:07] | Mr. McMurphy will be acting pro se– | McMurphy先生会自行辩护。。。 |
[15:10] | that is, as his own attorney. | 就是说,做他自己的律师。 |
[15:13] | The law requires him to comply | 法律要求他遵从证据规则和法庭规则。 |
[15:15] | with all evidentiary and court rules. | 法律要求他遵从证据规则和法庭规则。 |
[15:17] | Ms. Frutt will be assisting him as standby counsel. | Frutt女士以后备律师的身份协助他。 |
[15:21] | Now, certainly, Mr. McMurphy has little or no experience | McMurphy先生当然是对庭审很少或者没有经验。 |
[15:24] | in trying cases. | McMurphy先生当然是对庭审很少或者没有经验。 |
[15:26] | You are to draw no inferences or conclusions | 你们不能根据他作为诉讼律师的表现 |
[15:29] | as to the merits of the case | 而就案件的是非曲直作出推论或结论。 |
[15:31] | based on his performance as a litigator. | 而就案件的是非曲直作出推论或结论。 |
[15:37] | MAN: We roll the cell doors open at 5:00 a. m. | 我们早上5点把牢房的门打开 |
[15:39] | for the day’s first count. | 进行当天的第一次点名。 |
[15:41] | McMurphy walked out. Baumann didn’t. | McMurphy走出来了,Baumann没有。 |
[15:43] | What did you do? | 你做了什么? |
[15:45] | Checked the cell. | 检查了囚室。 |
[15:45] | Baumann was dead in his bunk, | Baumann死在他的铺位上, |
[15:47] | the shiv still sticking out of his chest. | 那把刀还插在他胸口上。 |
[15:49] | Where was Mr. McMurphy? | McMurphy在哪儿? |
[15:52] | Toeing the line in front of the cell. | 老老实实地在囚室前面。 |
[15:54] | There was blood on his shirt. | 他的衬衫上有血迹。 |
[15:56] | Could you tell if there’d been a fight in the cell? | 你能看出囚室里有打斗的迹象吗? |
[15:58] | Object– lacks sufficient foundation. | 反对。。。缺乏充足的依据。 |
[16:00] | Object! | 反对! |
[16:02] | Something… foundation. | 有些。。。依据。 |
[16:04] | The objection is sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[16:06] | Was anything broken? | 有什么东西损坏了吗? |
[16:08] | Were there things strewn around? | 有什么东西散落在周围吗? |
[16:10] | It didn’t look like a fight had taken place, no. | 没有,看起来不像是发生过打斗。 |
[16:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[16:14] | Nothing further. | 没有要问的了 |
[16:16] | He got to say it anyway. | 问什么他都得回答吧 |
[16:17] | Good witnesses know how. | 好的证人知道该怎么说。 |
[16:21] | Be careful. | 小心点。 |
[16:29] | Saunders. | |
[16:31] | McMurphy. | |
[16:33] | First thing you did, | 你最先做的是, |
[16:34] | you took me to the deputy warden’s office, | 你把我带到副监狱长办公室, |
[16:36] | and I told you I had to kill him. | 我告诉你说我不得不杀了他。 |
[16:39] | Objection! Lacks foundation. | 反对!缺乏依据。 |
[16:41] | Mr. McMurphy is not the witness here. | McMurphy先生在此不是作为证人。 |
[16:42] | Sustained. The jury will disregard. | 反对有效,陪审图不要理会。 |
[16:46] | You hate my guts, right? | 你对我恨之入骨,对吧? |
[16:48] | I hate killers. | 我恨杀人犯。 |
[16:49] | Objection! | 反对! |
[16:50] | Sit down, Ms. Frutt. | 坐下,Frutt女士。 |
[16:52] | You hated me because I wouldn’t kiss your ass. | 你恨我,因为我不会拍你马屁。 |
[16:53] | You’re a killer and a liar! | 你是个杀人犯和骗子! |
[16:55] | That’s enough! The jury will disregard. | 够了!陪审图不要理会这些。 |
[16:57] | I have nothing else to ask this man. | 我没有什么问题要问这家伙了。 |
[17:06] | Did you ever suspect anyone but the defendant | 对于这起谋杀,除了被告外你还怀疑过其他人吗? |
[17:10] | of this murder? | 对于这起谋杀,除了被告外你还怀疑过其他人吗? |
[17:11] | No. Object to that. | – 没有 – 对此提出反对。 |
[17:12] | Shh! I want to hear this. | 嘘!我正等着这个呢。 |
[17:15] | Why didn’t you suspect anyone else? | 为什么没有怀疑其他人? |
[17:17] | It’s a two-man cell. They were locked in overnight. | 那是个双人囚室,他俩整晚都被关在里面。 |
[17:20] | Plus, McMurphy hated Baumann. | 而且,McMurphy恨Baumann。 |
[17:22] | Everyone knew it. | 大家都知道。 |
[17:23] | That’s a lie! Your Honor– | – 那是撒谎! – 法官大人。。。 |
[17:24] | Sit down! Other people hated Baumann! | – 坐下! – 是别的人恨Baumann! |
[17:26] | Mr. McMurphy hated him the most. | McMurphy是最恨他的。 |
[17:29] | I don’t know why. I just know he did. | 我不知道原因,我只知道是他干的。 |
[17:43] | Nice job, Ray. | 干得不错,Ray。 |
[17:50] | You know, if you’re sitting next to me, | 知道不,如果你要坐在我边上, |
[17:52] | you gotta look like you’re supporting me. | 你得看起来是支持我的。 |
[17:52] | I am trying to, but– | 我尽量去那样做,但是。。。 |
[17:54] | No, you’re arguing, and the jury sees it. | 不,你在跟我争论,陪审团看得见。 |
[17:56] | I am telling you when to object, Ray. | 我那是在告诉你什么时候要提出反对,Ray。 |
[17:58] | I am trying to help. | 我在尽力帮你。 |
[18:02] | So… how’d that go? | 那么。。。情况如何? |
[18:05] | Terrible. | 很严重。 |
[18:07] | In addition to time and opportunity, | 除了时间和机会, |
[18:09] | he testified that you didn’t like the victim. | 他还作证说你讨厌受害人。 |
[18:13] | You did establish that the witness hates you. | 你则证实了证人是恨你的。 |
[18:17] | So in your closing, | 所以在你的结案陈词中, |
[18:18] | you’ll want to remember that and argue the bias. | 你要记住这一点并指出这是偏见。 |
[18:22] | Now, for the warden who is up next, | 现在,下一个监狱长。 |
[18:24] | here’s a quick lesson in hearsay– | 我现在给你上一堂有关传闻证据的速成课。。。 |
[18:26] | I know what hearsay is. | 我知道啥叫传闻证据。 |
[18:27] | Well, make sure you object. | 好吧,一定要提出反对。 |
[18:29] | You probably won’t shut it down, | 你可能不会使其无效, |
[18:31] | but you need to preserve the objection for appeal. | 但你需要保留用于上诉的反对理由。 |
[18:35] | Because his testimony is going to kill you. | 因为他的证词会置你于死地。 |
[18:40] | As the deputy warden, | 作为副监狱长, |
[18:41] | I was in charge of the initial investigation. | 我负责最初的调查工作。 |
[18:44] | On the day of the murder, you spoke with the defendant? | 在谋杀当天,你和被告谈过话吗? |
[18:46] | Yes. | 谈过。 |
[18:47] | And what, if anything, did he say? | 他说了些什么? |
[18:48] | Objection– hearsay. | 反对。。。传闻证据。 |
[18:51] | It’s admissible hearsay as a declaration against interests, | 由对立利益方做出宣称,是可以被接受的传闻证据。 |
[18:54] | an admission by party opponents. | 这是一个对立方的供述。 |
[18:56] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[18:57] | He said he stabbed Baumann | 他说他在熄灯后几小时捅了Baumann。 |
[18:59] | a couple of hours after lights out. | 他说他在熄灯后几小时捅了Baumann。 |
[19:02] | Recognize this? | 认得这个吗? |
[19:03] | Yes. It’s the murder weapon. | 认得,这是凶器。 |
[19:05] | It’s a toothbrush, filed down. Very common. | 这是一把牙刷,挫平了,很常见的。 |
[19:08] | You checked it for prints? | 你检查了上面的指纹吗? |
[19:09] | Yes. Mr. McMurphy said we’d find his on it. | 是的,McMurphy先生说我们会在上面发现他的指纹。 |
[19:12] | And we did. | 结果确实如此。 |
[19:14] | Did he say why he did it? No. | - 他说了为什么这样做了吗? - 没有。 |
[19:16] | Did he say what, if anything, Mr. Baumann was doing | 他说过当他捅Baumann先生的时候, |
[19:19] | at the time he stabbed him? | Baumann先生在干什么? |
[19:21] | He said Baumann was sleeping. | 他说Baumann在睡觉。 |
[19:23] | Thank you. | 谢谢你。 |
[19:32] | When I talked to you back in your office, | 当我回到你办公室和你交谈的时候, |
[19:34] | I looked real scared. | 我看上去非常恐惧。 |
[19:35] | I was shaking, crying– | 我在发抖,哭泣。。。 |
[19:37] | Objection– lacks foundation. | 反对。。。缺乏依据。 |
[19:39] | Calls for hearsay. You used hearsay. | - 这是在提供传闻证据。 - 你也用传闻证据呀 |
[19:41] | Mr. McMurphy is not the witness. | McMurphy先生不是证人。 |
[19:43] | Shaking and crying are both nonverbal, | 而发抖和哭泣都是非语言的表达方式。 |
[19:45] | self-serving statements which are inadmissible hearsay. | 自我陈述是不可接受的传闻证据。 |
[19:47] | Objection sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[19:49] | So I’m not allowed to say what happened? | 那么,不许我说出发生了什么事吗? |
[19:51] | You’re not the witness here, sir. | 在此你不是证人,先生。 |
[19:53] | The objection is sustained. | 反对有效。 |
[20:04] | Every question that he asks helps my case. | 他问的每一个问题都有助于我。 |
[20:07] | He’s still in his jumpsuit, for God’s sake. | 天哪,他还穿着连裤囚服。 |
[20:08] | He might as well wear a sign that says “convict me.” | 他还不如佩上一个“判我有罪”的标牌呢。 |
[20:11] | I’m just saying be careful. | 我要说的就是小心点。 |
[20:12] | Of what? | 小心什么? |
[20:14] | Well, I think the guy’s | 呵,我觉得这家伙比你想的要机灵。 |
[20:15] | smarter than you give him credit for. | 呵,我觉得这家伙比你想的要机灵。 |
[20:19] | What am I missing? | 我忽略了什么吗? |
[20:22] | Look… | 你看。。。 |
[20:24] | The guy may have no defense, | 这家伙没有辩护理由, |
[20:26] | but the jury might be seeing that | 但陪审团可能根据没人给他做辩护 |
[20:28] | as a function of no one defending him. | 而意识到了这一点。 |
[20:30] | I introduced his confession. | 我把他的供述呈堂了。 |
[20:32] | The jury sees there’s no defense. | 陪审团看得出这没法辩解。 |
[20:34] | What the jury sees is you beating up | 陪审团看到的是你在欺负 |
[20:36] | a defenseless guy who doesn’t know the law. | 一个不懂法律毫无抵抗能力的人。 |
[20:39] | Don’t let him be an underdog in there, Alan. | Alan,别让他在庭上成为弱势一方。 |
[20:42] | Remind the jury that this guy would rip out their hearts if he could. | 提醒陪审团这家伙如有可能就会深深地伤害他们的心灵。 |
[20:47] | And ease off the objecting. | 还要减少提出反对。 |
[20:48] | Let him win a few procedural points. | 让他在一些程序性问题上占点便宜。 |
[20:52] | You really think I’m in a fight here? | 你真的觉得这算是一场战斗吗? |
[20:54] | From what I saw, yes. | 以我的观察,是的。 |
[20:58] | Look, there’s no such thing as a laydown. | 听着,没有什么可以稳操胜券的。 |
[21:01] | This office has lost cases to pro se defendants. | 我们输过自行辩护的案子。 |
[21:06] | My advice– be careful. | 我的忠告。。。小心从事。 |
[21:14] | Are you going to testify? | 你打算作证吗? |
[21:17] | I haven’t decided yet. | 我还没决定。 |
[21:19] | Well, if you don’t testify, how do you intend to prove | 如果你不作证,你打算怎么证明 |
[21:20] | that you acted out of necessity? | 你的行动是出于受到胁迫的? |
[21:24] | Look, if I think this defense is a lie, | 听着,如果我认为这个辩护理由是个谎言, |
[21:26] | I have to tell the judge. | 我必须告诉法官。 |
[21:27] | You don’t know it is a lie. | 你并不知道这是不是谎言。 |
[21:29] | Don’t treat me like an idiot, Ray. | Ray,别把我当成傻瓜。 |
[21:30] | Look, I’m trying the case. | 听着,是我在辩护。 |
[21:31] | I don’t have to tell you anything. | 我没必要跟你说什么。 |
[21:36] | You want to be helpful? | 你向帮忙吗? |
[21:39] | Get me this guy. | 找到这个家伙。 |
[21:41] | He’s being sentenced downstairs. | 他正在楼下的法庭进行量刑。 |
[21:43] | We know each other. | 我们认识。 |
[21:44] | He’ll testify for me. | 他会为我作证的。 |
[21:46] | Why are you doing this? | 你为什么这么做? |
[21:49] | Trial prep’s real important. | 庭审准备工作很重要。 |
[21:50] | You know what I mean. | 你知道我指的是什么。 |
[21:54] | You used to trust me, Ray. | 你过去是信任我的,Ray。 |
[21:56] | When I said, “plead,” you did. | 当我说“认罪吧”,你就照办了。 |
[21:58] | We only fought the ones that we could win. | 我们只会去打那些我们能赢的案子。 |
[22:07] | Did I let you down? | 是我让你失望了吗? |
[22:10] | What’s changed? | 到底有什么发生变化了 ? |
[22:16] | It’s not you. | 不是因为你。 |
[22:19] | More time in prison would be a death sentence for me. | 增加刑期对我来说跟死刑一样。 |
[22:23] | Then why did you kill him? | 那你为什么要杀了他? |
[22:27] | If… | 如果。。。 |
[22:29] | …I told you I killed him over cigarettes | 。。。我告诉你我杀他是因为他偷走了我最后一包烟, |
[22:32] | because he stole my last damn pack, | 。。。我告诉你我杀他是因为他偷走了我最后一包烟, |
[22:34] | you wouldn’t believe me. | 你不会相信的。 |
[22:37] | Guys in prison get killed over less. | |
[22:39] | Guys get killed for looking at somebody wrong. | 因为看别人的眼神不对而被杀。 |
[22:43] | I can’t take it anymore. | 我再也受不了了。 |
[22:46] | The longer this trial lasts, | 庭审持续时间越长, |
[22:48] | the less time I got to be in prison. | 我在监狱里呆的时间就越短。 |
[22:50] | Even if it’s just for a day, that’s enough. | 哪怕就一天,也知足了。 |
[22:56] | You killed him over cigarettes? | 你因为烟杀了他? |
[23:00] | I said… “if.” | 我说的是。。。“如果” |
[23:09] | Cheswick’s down in the last one. | Cheswick在最后一个囚室。 |
[23:26] | Are you all right? | 你没事吧? |
[23:29] | Just tell him– | 告诉他。。。 |
[23:31] | tell him I got paged. | 说我接到了传呼。 |
[23:32] | I-I got a… | 我。。。我接到了。。。 |
[23:35] | I’ll check with him later. | 我会稍后跟他联系。 |
[23:53] | (door opens) | |
[23:58] | Hello. | |
[24:00] | Is Bobby Donnell in? | Bobby Donnell在吗? |
[24:01] | You are? | 您是? |
[24:02] | Leonard Welish. | |
[24:03] | I’m with the state’s outreach program. | 我参加了州的外展社区服务计划。 |
[24:06] | We’re funded by the state legislature. | 我们由州立法机关资助。 |
[24:08] | We help crime victims. | 我们帮助犯罪受害者。 |
[24:09] | Well, “victim” is not a word he likes to hear. | 他可不喜欢听到“受害者”这个词。 |
[24:12] | Anyway, he’s already given his statement to the DA. | 不管怎么样,他已经向检察官做完陈述了。 |
[24:15] | I’m not a lawyer, ma’am. | 我不是律师,夫人。 |
[24:16] | I’m here just to make sure that he’s okay. | 我来这儿只是为了看看他是否没事。 |
[24:21] | This is your defense? | 这就是你的辩护理由? |
[24:23] | He’s telling you what happened. | 他会告诉你怎么回事。 |
[24:24] | I hated Baumann. | 我恨Baumann。 |
[24:25] | Baumann screwed me on a drug deal. | Baumann在毒品交易上坑了我。 |
[24:27] | I told McMurphy, kill Baumann or I’d kill McMurphy. | 我跟McMurphy说,他不宰了Baumann,我就宰了他。 |
[24:34] | Is any of that true? | 这是真的吗? |
[24:35] | You calling me a liar? Mark… | - 你是说我是骗子吗? |
[24:38] | yes, as a matter of fact, I am calling you a liar. | 没错,事实上,我正在称你为骗子。 |
[24:41] | Ellenor, you got another way to tell my story? | Ellenor,你有别的办法来帮我找个说法吗? |
[24:44] | You don’t have a story. | 你找不出说法来。 |
[24:45] | The jury is not gonna believe a word he says. | 陪审团不会相信他说的。 |
[24:48] | The jury’s gonna believe that he is a scary dude. | 陪审团会相信他是个可怕的家伙。 |
[24:50] | They’re gonna believe I would do whatever he told me to do. | 他们会相信不管他让我干什么我都会照做的。 |
[24:52] | They’re gonna prosecute you for perjury. | 他们会指控你做伪证的。 |
[24:54] | First, I ain’t lying. | 首先,我没撒谎。 |
[24:56] | Second, I’m serving three consecutive life terms. | 其次,我服的刑期是三个延续的终身监禁。 |
[24:59] | I’m not real worried about perjury. | 我对伪证罪不怎么担心。 |
[25:01] | Ellenor, think about it. | Ellenor,想想吧。 |
[25:03] | If he testifies, then I don’t have to. | 如果他作证,我就不必作证了。 |
[25:05] | Ray– That’s the beauty of it. | - 这就是绝妙所在。 |
[25:07] | In my other trials, you said it was iffy if I testify. | 在我其他案子里,你说过我作证是不太好的。 |
[25:09] | You said it was bad for the jury to hear about my priors. | 你说过对于陪审团来说,了解到我的前科是很糟的。 |
[25:12] | Yes, but– Now I got another prior– the robbery. | - 是的,但是。。。 - 现在我又多了一个前科。。。抢劫 |
[25:15] | If I testify, Lowe gets to cross-examine me, | 如果我出庭作证,Lowe会对我进行交叉盘问, |
[25:18] | my priors come in. | 我的前科就被抖出来了。 |
[25:19] | I can’t let you obstruct justice. | 我不能让你妨碍司法公正。 |
[25:21] | You said juries convict guys based on priors. | 你说过陪审团会基于前科进行定罪。 |
[25:25] | Right now, they don’t even know what I’m in for. | 而现在,他们甚至都不会知道我有前科。 |
[25:27] | And Lowe can’t tell ’em unless I testify. | 而且除非我作证,否则Lowe都不能告知陪审团。 |
[25:30] | Having Harris tell my story is great. Admit it. | 让Harris来说出我的说法是很棒的,承认这点吧。 |
[25:32] | It’s not a question of strategy, Ray. | 这不是策略的问题,Ray。 |
[25:35] | The law says you can’t do it. | 法律不允许你这样做。 |
[25:37] | If it’s not true! | 如果那不是事实的话! |
[25:44] | And you don’t know if it is or it isn’t. | 而你不清楚到底是不是事实。 |
[25:54] | So, no pain, no loss of appetite? | 所以,不疼,也没有食欲不振? |
[25:56] | No. Nothing. | 没有,啥也没有。 |
[25:57] | He’s had trouble sleeping. | 他失眠。 |
[25:59] | I’ve been fine. | 我已经没事。 |
[26:00] | I know this may not be easy for you. | 我知道对你来说有些困难。 |
[26:03] | Talking it out can relieve stress. | 但说出来会减轻压力。 |
[26:05] | It can speed the closure process. | 它可以加快获得解脱的过程。 |
[26:09] | It can help us heal. | 可以帮助我们愈合 |
[26:10] | Oh, for God’s sakes. | 噢,天哪。 |
[26:12] | Bobby, you agreed to talk to him, so just– | Bobby,你同意和他谈,所以。。。 |
[26:14] | You know what, ma’am? It might be better– | 夫人,你知道吗?也许。。。 |
[26:17] | Could I speak with Mr. Donnell alone? | 能让我和Donnell先生单独谈谈吗? |
[26:18] | Would that be okay? | 可以吗? |
[26:19] | Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[26:21] | I’ll let the two of you talk. | 你俩谈谈吧。 |
[26:30] | The people who love us most want to help, | 最爱我们的人希望帮助我们, |
[26:32] | but their concern can overwhelm. | 但他们的关爱会适得其反。 |
[26:34] | Mr…. | 先生。。。 |
[26:35] | Wellisch. If you like, call me Lenny. | Wellisch。如果你愿意,可以叫我Lenny。 |
[26:38] | Thanks, Lenny. I got work to do. | 谢谢你,Lenny,我得工作了。 |
[26:41] | Could you get the hell out of here? | 你能离开这儿吗? |
[26:44] | This wasn’t your fault. | 不是你的错。 |
[26:46] | What? | 什么? |
[26:48] | The man who beat you was crazy. | 打你的那个人疯了。 |
[26:50] | You couldn’t have prevented it. | 你不可能阻止它。 |
[26:52] | You couldn’t even see it coming, could you? | 你甚至想不到那会发生,对吗? |
[26:55] | No. | 对。 |
[26:56] | Of course not. There were no signs. | 当然想不到的。没有征兆。 |
[26:57] | Do you blame the prison? | 你把这事归咎于监狱方吗? |
[26:59] | Look, I’m not blaming anybody, and I really am busy here, so… | 听着,我谁也不怪,我现在很忙,所以。。。 |
[27:03] | Mr. Donnell, frankly, | Donnell先生,坦率地说, |
[27:07] | my observation is that you’re in good shape. | 以我看来,你状况良好。 |
[27:10] | Let me leave you my card in case you want to talk more, | 请允许我留下我的名片以便你想找我谈谈。 |
[27:12] | and let me just get you to sign this. | 另外请你把这个签了 |
[27:15] | What is it? | 这什么呀? |
[27:16] | Part of the law says you need to read it. | 法律要求你要对此知晓。 |
[27:18] | It says that you’ve been contacted by us | 这上面写明我们和你联系过了 |
[27:19] | and that you’re okay. | 并且你一切都好。 |
[27:21] | Wait a second. | 等等。 |
[27:22] | This releases the state from any lawsuits. | 这份文件使州政府免于受到任何起诉。 |
[27:24] | W-Well, that’s just one part of the form. | 呃。。。这只是这份表格的一小部分。 |
[27:25] | That’s why you’re here?! | 但这是你来此的原因! |
[27:27] | Not to check on me, but to cover the Commonwealth’s ass?! | 不是来看我的,而是为了开脱州政府的责任?! |
[27:35] | Easy, Bobby. What are you doing? | 放松些,Bobby,你在干嘛? |
[27:38] | What is the matter with you? | 你怎么了? |
[27:39] | He’s from the State Attorney General’s office. | 他来自州检察长办公室。 |
[27:41] | He’s looking for a release so I won’t sue. | 他需求一份免责以便我不会去起诉。 |
[27:43] | What? Rebecca, I want cases– | - 什么? - Rebecca,我想要相关案例。。。 |
[27:45] | state liability on failure to protect, | 州政府未能尽到保护的责任。 |
[27:47] | failure to keep from harm, failure to maintain workspaces. | 未能避免伤害,未能维护工作区域。 |
[27:49] | Bobby, hold on. | Bobby,等等。 |
[27:51] | They intentionally failed to protect me. | 他们故意不保护我。 |
[27:53] | That’s why the state sent him. | 这就是州政府派他来的原因。 |
[27:54] | They were at least grossly negligent. | 他们至少有严重的疏忽。 |
[27:56] | We don’t have to file– They’re to blame for this! | - 我们不必提出。。。 - 他们应该为此负责! |
[28:02] | The state knows how dangerous these inmates are. | 州政府知道这些囚犯有多危险。 |
[28:04] | Where the hell were the guards?! You need to calm down. | - 警卫当时到底在哪里?! - 你需要冷静下来。 |
[28:06] | Either help me with this or leave me alone! | 要么帮我干,要么就让我自己呆会儿。 |
[28:22] | I knew Baumann on the outside. | 我在外面认识Baumann的 |
[28:24] | He was a dealer and a banger. | 他是一个毒贩和暴徒 |
[28:26] | He dealt in prison, too. I bought from him. | 他也在监狱里做生意。我从他那里买货。 |
[28:29] | One time, he shorted me on a balloon of coke. | 有一次,他在卖给我可卡因囊包时缺斤短两。 |
[28:32] | That was him disrespecting me. | 那是他对我的不尊重。 |
[28:34] | He had to pay for that. | 他必须为此付出代价。 |
[28:35] | Why didn’t you kill him yourself? | 你为什么不自己去杀了他? |
[28:37] | It ain’t easy getting a guy who knows you’re coming. | 干掉一个有准备的家伙很不容易。 |
[28:40] | He was a big boy. He got respect for size. | 他是个大块头,谁都忌惮他的体格。 |
[28:43] | I told you I didn’t want to do it, right? | 我跟你说过我不想干的,对吗? |
[28:46] | I didn’t give you no choice. | 我没有给你选择的机会。 |
[28:49] | It was you or him. One of you had to go. | 不是你就是他,你们中反正有一个要死。 |
[28:51] | Either way, the word was out. You punk me, you die. | 不管是哪种,泄露了消息,你耍了我,你就死定了。 |
[28:56] | Thank you. I don’t have anything else. | 谢谢你,我问完了。 |
[29:08] | When did you and the defendant come up with this story? | 你和被告什么时候想出这个故事的? |
[29:10] | It’s the truth. | 这是事实。 |
[29:12] | Was it yesterday when the two of you were bused in | 是你们两个在昨天从州监狱押送到法庭的囚车上时吗? |
[29:14] | from state prison for your court proceedings? | 是你们两个在昨天从州监狱押送到法庭的囚车上时吗? |
[29:16] | I knew Baumann on the outside. He was a dealer and a banger. | 我在外面认识Baumann的,他是一个毒贩和暴徒 |
[29:20] | You’ve been convicted of rape, robbery, perjury, murder. | 你被判犯有强奸、抢劫、伪证、谋杀罪。 |
[29:25] | Three murders. | 谋杀罪是三起。 |
[29:26] | And you’re about to be sentenced in another courtroom | 并且你正要因你的第四起谋杀罪 |
[29:28] | for your fourth. I’m a bad man. | – 而在另一个法庭接受量刑。 – 我是个坏人。 |
[29:31] | You’re a convicted liar, | 你是一个被定罪的骗子, |
[29:32] | sentenced to life with no chance of parole. | 被判终身监禁且剥夺假释机会。 |
[29:34] | Okay. | 随你吧 |
[29:36] | So when the defendant asked you to lie for him, | 所以当被告要求你为他撒谎时, |
[29:38] | you had nothing to lose. | 你没有什么可失去的。 |
[29:40] | Another conviction for perjury or murder, doesn’t matter. | 多一项伪证或谋杀罪的定罪,无所谓的。 |
[29:43] | Object, argumentative. He’s okay. | – 反对,争议性问题。 – 他应付得了。 |
[29:45] | What are you talking about? You lie for him, there’s no downside. | – 你说的是什么意思呀? – 你为他撒谎,对你没有坏处。 |
[29:48] | There’s an upside. | 而且是有好处的。 |
[29:49] | What’s that? | 好处是什么? |
[29:50] | He owes you. He’s an ally. | 他欠你的人情。他会成为你盟友。 |
[29:53] | That’s key in prison, | 这在监狱里至关重要, |
[29:54] | especially for a guy with as many enemies as you’ve got. | 尤其是对于像你这样一个有很多敌人的家伙。 |
[29:58] | I got no idea what you mean. | 我不明白你的意思。 |
[30:04] | I move to strike his whole testimony | 我要求因极端不可靠而排除其证词。 |
[30:06] | as blatantly unreliable. | 我要求因极端不可靠而排除其证词。 |
[30:07] | That’s a jury call. | 那是由陪审团来决定的。 |
[30:08] | Then I move to preclude the jury | 那么我要求阻止陪审团接受胁迫辩护理由。 |
[30:10] | from being instructed on the necessity defense. | 那么我要求阻止陪审团接受胁迫辩护理由。 |
[30:13] | Miss Frutt, your response? | Frutt女士,你对此的回应呢? |
[30:15] | My response? I thought I couldn’t– | 我的回应?我认为我不能。。。 |
[30:17] | Standby counsel may argue | 后备律师在陪审团不在场的情况下 |
[30:19] | outside the presence of the jury– | 可以提出意见。。。 |
[30:20] | I am ordering you to do so now. | 我命令你提出自己的意见。 |
[30:31] | Black letter law. | 按公认的法律原则。 |
[30:33] | He can’t be convicted if he killed out of necessity. | 如果他由于胁迫而杀人,就不能定罪。 |
[30:36] | Mr. Harris said he told my client, | Harris对我的当事人说, |
[30:38] | “Kill Baumann or be killed.” | “要么杀了Baumann,要么就被杀。” |
[30:40] | Necessity is a defense to murder | 在马萨诸塞州,胁迫是可以作为谋杀罪的辩护理由的。 |
[30:42] | in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. | 在马萨诸塞州,胁迫是可以作为谋杀罪的辩护理由的。 |
[30:44] | But to raise it, the danger of death has to be immediate. | 但要使其成立,危险必须是迫在眉睫的。 |
[30:47] | Baumann was asleep. | Baumann正在睡觉。 |
[30:49] | Harris wasn’t even housed in the same cellblock. | Harris甚至都不在同一间囚室内。 |
[30:52] | The Supreme Court says prisoners may raise it– | 最高法院说囚犯可以提出。。。 |
[30:54] | ALAN: Oh, come on, Ellenor. You yourself admitted | 噢,拉倒吧,Ellenor,你自己都承认 |
[30:56] | the man has no defense. It’s a lie. | 这家伙没有辩护理由,这就是谎言。 |
[30:58] | As the court has repeatedly pointed out, | 正如法庭一再指出的那样, |
[30:59] | this is my client’s defense, not mine. | 这是我的当事人的辩护理由,不是我的。 |
[31:01] | That’s no excuse. You’re helping him to obstruct justice. | 那不能作为借口。你在帮助他妨碍司法公正。 |
[31:04] | I am doing exactly as I was directed by the court. | 我严格按照法庭的指示行事。 |
[31:07] | The man didn’t even testify he acted out of necessity. | 这个人甚至都没有作证说他的行为缘于胁迫。 |
[31:09] | He doesn’t need to testify. | 他不需要作证。 |
[31:10] | The witness established a factual basis. | 证人确立了事实基础。 |
[31:15] | Mr. Lowe, I understand you’re unhappy, | Lowe先生,你理解你不太高兴。 |
[31:18] | but I cannot strike down the man’s defense. | 但我不能推翻那个人的辩护理由。 |
[31:20] | Why not just tell the jury to acquit? | 何不干脆告诉陪审团判他无罪呢? |
[31:23] | You know what? | 你知道吗? |
[31:25] | Mr. McMurphy manages to conduct himself | McMurphy先生使自己的行为举止 |
[31:27] | with more professionalism and show this court more respect | 更为专业,而且表现得比你更为尊重这个法庭。 |
[31:30] | than you appear capable of. | 更为专业,而且表现得比你更为尊重这个法庭。 |
[31:32] | You might follow his example. | 你应该向他学习。 |
[31:37] | We’ll bring down the jury and proceed to closing arguments. | 我们将开始进行结案陈词了。 |
[31:51] | Two men were locked in an eight-by-ten-foot cell. | 两个人被关在八乘十英尺的牢房里。 |
[31:54] | The defendant waited for the victim to fall asleep, | 被告等受害人熟睡后, |
[31:58] | then he stood up, | 他站起身, |
[32:00] | and stabbed the sleeping man over and over and over again | 一次又一次地刺向那个熟睡中的人 |
[32:05] | until he died. | 直到他死去。 |
[32:07] | His prints were on the weapon. | 凶器上有他的指纹。 |
[32:10] | He confessed to the crime. | 他也对罪行供认不讳。 |
[32:12] | The defense story– | 用于辩护的那个故事。。。 |
[32:14] | the one that he cooked up with his friend– | 那个他和他的朋友一起炮制出来的。。。 |
[32:16] | is a lie. | 是一个谎言。 |
[32:18] | If it were true, | 如果那是真实的, |
[32:20] | why didn’t he tell the deputy warden about it | 为什么在他供认的那天不告诉副监狱长呢? |
[32:21] | on the day he confessed? | 为什么在他供认的那天不告诉副监狱长呢? |
[32:24] | He never said anything at that time | 他那时没有提及任何有关他受到生命威胁的事情。 |
[32:25] | about his life being threatened. | 他那时没有提及任何有关他受到生命威胁的事情。 |
[32:28] | The defendant is suddenly hatching this necessity defense | 被告是突然策划出这个胁迫的辩护理由来, |
[32:32] | because he has nothing else. | 因为他别无理由。 |
[32:35] | He’s desperate. | 他绝望了。 |
[32:38] | Blood, prints, | 血迹,指纹, |
[32:40] | motive, confession. | 动机,供述。 |
[32:45] | He’s desperate. | 他绝望了。 |
[32:50] | Being in court and having you people listen to me | 站在庭上并有你们的倾听 |
[32:53] | has been one of the best things in my life. | 是我人生中最美好的事情之一。 |
[32:56] | That sounds weird, right? | 这听起来很奇怪,对吗? |
[32:58] | I’m on trial for murder. | 我可是因谋杀受审啊。 |
[33:01] | But in my life, nobody ever listened to me. | 但在我生活中,从没人听我讲话。 |
[33:07] | I’m not smart like Mr. Lowe. | 我不如Lowe先生那么聪明。 |
[33:09] | I wasn’t good at school. | 我学习也不好。 |
[33:12] | I made a lot of stupid decisions, | 我做出过很多愚蠢的决定。 |
[33:15] | and I paid for every one of them. | 我也为所有那些付出了代价 |
[33:20] | Being in prison | 成为囚犯是世上最糟糕的事情。 |
[33:21] | is the worst thing in the world. | 成为囚犯是世上最糟糕的事情。 |
[33:25] | Unless you’ve been there, you don’t know. | 除非你们亲身经历,否则你们无法理解。 |
[33:28] | You lock men up, they become animals. | 人被关了起来,就变成了动物。 |
[33:33] | I seen guys do things to each other, | 我看过人们如何对待彼此, |
[33:36] | kill each other for nothing. | 无缘无故地相互杀戮。 |
[33:39] | When Harris told me, “Kill Baumann or be killed,” | 当Harris跟我说,“杀掉Baumann,否则就被杀。” |
[33:43] | I knew it was real. | 我懂得那是当真的。 |
[33:47] | I could see myself lying in the shower or in the exercise yard, | 我仿佛看见自己躺在淋浴间或操场里, |
[33:51] | blood coming out of me. | 血从我身上涌出来。 |
[33:53] | I knew it was me or Baumann. | 我知道那不是Baumann就是我。 |
[33:56] | Why didn’t I tell all this to the warden before? | 为什么当初不全部告诉监狱长? |
[33:59] | Because I was still in prison, | 因为我还在监狱里, |
[34:01] | and I still could have been killed. | 我仍然可能被杀的。 |
[34:05] | I am sorry for killing Mr. Baumann. | 我对杀了Baumann先生感到难过。 |
[34:11] | I had to do it. | 但我不得不那样做。 |
[34:13] | I had no choice. | 我没得选择。 |
[34:15] | If I hadn’t killed Mr. Baumann, | 如果我没有杀了Baumann先生, |
[34:18] | that man, Harris… | 那家伙,Harris。。。 |
[34:22] | …would’ve killed me. | 。。。会杀了我的。 |
[34:24] | Mr. Lowe calls me desperate. | Lowe先生说我绝望了。 |
[34:29] | I am. | 我的确是。 |
[34:33] | Desperate now… | 现在绝望。。。 |
[34:35] | …like I was desperate then. | 。。。就像那时一样绝望。 |
[34:47] | Here are the cases you wanted. | 这是你要的案例。 |
[34:49] | Thanks. | 谢谢。 |
[34:53] | She cares about you, Bobby. | |
[34:56] | She’s worried about you. We all are. | 她很担心你。我们也都是。 |
[35:00] | We don’t know what to do to help you. | 我们不知道怎么帮你。 |
[35:05] | Thanks for the cases. | 谢谢 你找到的这些案例。 |
[35:08] | Bobby, you attacked a man, | Bobby,你攻击了一个人, |
[35:09] | physically threw him out of the office. | 活生生地把他扔出办公室。 |
[35:14] | You’re always there to help everybody in the firm. | 在事务所里你总是帮助所有的人。 |
[35:19] | But for you, Bobby, you’re selfish. | 但对于你自己,Bobby,你是自私的。 |
[35:26] | It’s selfish to never let us help you. | 自私到从不让我们帮助你。 |
[35:46] | Now you’re wearing it. | 现在你把这套穿上了。 |
[35:48] | The trial’s over. | 庭审结束了嘛。 |
[35:50] | Nothing left but the verdict, so I figured why not. | 除了一纸判决什么也得不到,所以我想何不穿上呢。 |
[35:52] | What’d you do to your hair? | 你把你头发怎么了? |
[35:54] | I gave myself a little trim. | 我给自己修剪了一下。 |
[35:56] | Figured if I’m gonna look good, I should look good. | 我觉得我会看上去不错,我应该看上去不错的。 |
[36:00] | How’d you get the haircut? | 你怎么理发的? |
[36:02] | Judge’s chambers. | 在法官办公室。 |
[36:04] | Scissors. | 顺了把剪刀 |
[36:05] | Old habit– you see a potential weapon, you just grab it. | 老习惯了。。。看到一把潜在的武器,就抓到手。 |
[36:14] | You seem depressed. | 你看起来有些沮丧。 |
[36:17] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[36:19] | I wasn’t kidding | 当我说出庭是我人生中最美好的事时, |
[36:21] | when I said that trial | 当我说出庭是我人生中最美好的事时, |
[36:22] | was the best thing in my life, Ellenor. | 我不是开玩笑的,Ellenor。 |
[36:26] | I felt like a citizen in there. | 我感觉在那儿像一个公民。 |
[36:29] | And now it’s over? | 而现在这结束了? |
[36:31] | Now it’s over. | 现在结束了。 |
[36:36] | Baumann was real popular. | Baumann非常得人心。 |
[36:38] | If I go back to prison, I will be killed. | 如果我回到监狱,我会被杀的。 |
[36:42] | That’s why I was so desperate to have the trial now, | 这就是为什么即使自行辩护, |
[36:45] | even if I had to represent myself. | 我也如此渴望现在进行庭审, |
[36:48] | A court holding cell, I survive. | 法庭的拘押室,我能活着。 |
[36:49] | Prison, I don’t. | 监狱里,我就完了。 |
[36:51] | Well, I could try to get you | 那好,我会争取对你进行保护性拘押。 |
[36:53] | into protective custody. | 那好,我会争取对你进行保护性拘押。 |
[36:54] | No. I am not going back. | 不必了,我不会回去了。 |
[36:57] | Ray, even if you win here, | Ray,即使你赢了。 |
[37:00] | you still have the remaining sentence on the robbery. | 你还是有抢劫罪的服刑期。 |
[37:03] | Ellenor, I am not going back. | Ellenor,我不会回去了。 |
[37:16] | Where’s the guard? | 警卫在哪儿? |
[37:22] | Oh, my God! Ray! | 噢,天啊,Ray! |
[37:28] | Judge Mantz should be careful about his scissors. | Mantz法官应该小心保存他的剪刀。 |
[37:33] | Ellenor, I have the guard’s gun. | Ellenor,我拿了警卫的枪。 |
[37:37] | If you make a noise, I will have to kill you. | 如果你闹出动静来,我会不得不杀了你。 |
[37:41] | You will never get out of here. | 你永远也出不去的。 |
[37:44] | Court security faces the entrances, not the exits. | 法庭的保安只面向入口,不会看出口的。 |
[37:47] | They don’t check guys as they’re leaving… | 他们不会检查出去的人。 |
[37:52] | Especially not guys looking like this. | 特别是穿成我这样的人。 |
[38:44] | It’s been a long time. | 很久没这样了。 |
[38:53] | Thanks for walking me out, Ellenor. | 谢谢你带我出来,Ellenor |
[38:55] | Not that you had a choice. | 并非是说你有得选。 |
[39:02] | Ask the jury what they thought of my closing. | 代问一下陪审团对我的结案陈词有何感想。 |
[39:05] | Maybe they have some suggestions for next time. | 也许对我下一次提一些建议。 |
[39:25] | What? | 什么? |
[39:30] | Oh, my God. | 噢,天啊。 |
[39:39] | Uh, despite the absence of the defendant, | 呃,尽管被告缺席, |
[39:43] | the law requires taking the verdict in open court. | 法律要求在公开法庭上宣布裁决。 |
[39:49] | Mr. Foreman, to the charge of murder in the first degree, | 陪审团主席先生,针对一级谋杀罪名, |
[39:52] | how say you? | 你们的裁决是? |
[39:55] | Your Honor, we find the defendant, Raymond McMurphy, | 法官大人,我们裁定被告Raymond McMurphy。 |
[40:00] | not guilty. | 无罪。 |
[40:04] | To the charge of murder in the second degree, | 针对二级谋杀罪名 |
[40:07] | we find the defendant, Raymond McMurphy… | 我们裁定被告Raymond McMurphy。。。 |
[40:10] | …not guilty. | 。。。无罪 |
[40:17] | It is my practice– | 我的习惯是。。。 |
[40:20] | I usually thank the jury | 我总是感谢陪审团 |
[40:21] | for its service on behalf of the parties… | 对双方的利益尽到了义务。。。 |
[40:27] | the defendant… | 至于被告。。。 |
[40:30] | but at this point… | 在此刻。。。 |
[40:34] | I think we’re done. | 我觉得我们完事了。 |
[40:51] | …considered armed, extremely dangerous, | 。。。被认为持有武器,极其危险, |
[40:53] | and obviously resourceful. | 而且很明显足智多谋。 |
[40:55] | Meanwhile, questions remain | 同时,存在关于囚犯如何如此容易逃脱侦查的疑问 |
[40:57] | as to how a prisoner could so easily escape detection, | 同时,存在关于囚犯如何如此容易逃脱侦查的疑问 |
[40:59] | especially since security has recently been heightened. | 尤其是最近加强了安全措施的情况下。 |
[41:04] | Incredible. The man actually walked out. | 不可思议。那家伙竟然走出去了。 |
[41:11] | Listen, if you want, | 听着,如果你想的话, |
[41:13] | I’ll help you draft that complaint for the lawsuit. | 我会帮你起草起诉状。 |
[41:18] | Thanks. | 谢谢。 |
[41:19] | I did some research, | 我做了些调研, |
[41:20] | and the law’s not bad for us. | 法律对我们有利。 |
[41:22] | And a lawsuit could make them | 一起诉讼会使他们为别的律师提供更多的保护。 |
[41:23] | provide more protection for other lawyers. | 一起诉讼会使他们为别的律师提供更多的保护。 |
[41:26] | Nobody should– | 没人会。。。 |
[41:27] | There isn’t going to be any lawsuit. | 不会提起什么诉讼的。 |
[41:31] | Not now anyway. | 反正现在不用 |
[41:34] | Oh. | 哦。 |
[41:36] | I can always file one later… or not. | 我日后总可以提起一个。。。是不是。 |
[41:39] | The statute of limitations doesn’t run out for a year. | 诉讼时效是一年。 |
[41:42] | Okay. | 那好吧。 |
[41:50] | I don’t know if I can do this anymore. | 我不知道我还能不能再这样做了。 |
[41:53] | Bobby… Lindsay, that day in the cell – Bobby。。。 | – Lindsay,那天在囚室里 |
[41:55] | right before I passed out, I knew, | 在我昏过去前的那一刻,我知道, |
[41:59] | without a shadow of doubt, that I was gonna die. | 毫无疑问,我要死了。 |
[42:05] | And I would never see our son again… | 我再也看不到咱们的儿子了。。。 |
[42:11] | …that I would never see you again. | 。。。我再也看不到你了。 |
[42:19] | I can’t stop being a lawyer, Lindsay. | 我不能不做律师,Lindsay。 |
[42:30] | But I’m scared. | 但是我害怕了。 |
[42:34] | And I don’t know what to do about that. | 我不知道该怎么办。 |
[42:41] | I do. | 我知道。 |
[43:02] | BOBBY: Next, on The Practice: | |
[43:03] | It was long before I became the “esteemed Chief Judge Fleming,” | |
[43:08] | winner of the State Bar Association’s Lifetime Acievement Award. | |
[43:12] | We have reason to believe His Honor has been accepting bribes. | |
[43:14] | Have you approached any of the attorneys in those cases, | |
[43:17] | spoken with anyone upstairs? | |
[43:18] | We prefer, in these matters, to handle this through a sting. | |
[43:21] | We create a case, and then we assign it to an attorney | |
[43:23] | who we think might be involved. | |
[43:25] | You think I’m somehow in on this? | |
[43:27] | You have a very impressive track record | |
[43:29] | in front of Judge Fleming. | |
[43:30] | Get out of my office! | |
[43:34] | (music playing) | |
[44:00] | You stinker! |