时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | DOLE: Previously on “The Practice” | 前集回顾未作翻译 |
[00:02] | Why are you so angry? | |
[00:05] | DOLE: For pretending, | |
[00:06] | day after day after day | |
[00:08] | that my husband’s in love with me | |
[00:09] | when I know he’s not. | |
[00:11] | Lindsay, for God’s sake, | |
[00:13] | of course I love you. | |
[00:15] | DOLE: I know you love me, | |
[00:16] | but… | |
[00:18] | I miss being adored. | |
[00:21] | Look, the idea of splitting up is unmentionable. | |
[00:24] | But Bobby, other than our son, | |
[00:29] | it is so dead in this home | |
[00:33] | and has been for a while. | |
[00:39] | I know this isn’t what you wanna hear. | 我知道你们不想听这些 |
[00:41] | NANCY: No, it isn’t. | 不,不是那样的 |
[00:43] | FRUTT: I’m not saying we can’t win on the elements, | 我不是在说我们不能赢 |
[00:46] | but the blood on your shoe | 但你鞋上的血迹 |
[00:49] | and the fact that you were seen coming and going, | 还有你的来去被人看见了 |
[00:52] | not to mention the threat. | 更别说那些威胁 |
[00:54] | With insanity, even in victory, | 用精神失常来辩护,即使赢了 |
[00:57] | she’s gonna be locked up. | 她也会被关起来的 |
[00:58] | FRUTT: No, she only goes away until she gets better, | 不,她有所好转后就可以出来了 |
[01:01] | which, from what the doctors are telling us, | 这一点,根据医生对我们说的 |
[01:03] | could be soon. | 会很快的 |
[01:04] | This is a circumstantial case. | 这是一个只有间接证据的案子 |
[01:07] | What she did and what they can prove | 她做了什么和检方能证明什么 |
[01:09] | are two very different things. | 是两回事 |
[01:11] | You said so yourself. | 你自己也说过的 |
[01:12] | FRUTT: Look, we’ll do what you want us to do, | 听着,我们会按你们说的办 |
[01:15] | but we’re telling you, Nancy, | 但是我们在告诉你,Nancy |
[01:16] | your best chance at seeing freedom again, | 你再次获得自由的最大机会 |
[01:19] | your best chance by far, | 目前为止你最大的机会 |
[01:21] | is insanity. | 是用精神失常来辩护 |
[01:25] | And Kevin, I may be stepping over the line here, | 还有,Kevin,我可能把话说得过头了 |
[01:27] | but the reason I think you’re resisting the idea | 但我认为你拒绝你太太采用精神失常来辩护的原因 |
[01:30] | of your wife being insane | 但我认为你拒绝你太太采用精神失常来辩护的原因 |
[01:33] | is because you feel responsible for it. | 是因为你对此感到应负责任 |
[02:27] | MARGARET: My sons didn’t get along. | 我的儿子们相处不算和睦 |
[02:29] | They were pretty much estranged | 自打那次事故之后 |
[02:30] | ever since the accident. | 他们基本上就不和了 |
[02:32] | WALSH: Which accident was that, Mrs. Healy? | Healy夫人,那是一次什么事故? |
[02:35] | Derek’s son, Justin was 16. | Derek16岁的儿子Justin |
[02:37] | He had his learner’s permit. | 他持有学习驾照 |
[02:39] | He was driving. | 他开车 |
[02:40] | Kevin was with him. | Kevin和他在车上 |
[02:42] | WALSH: To clarify, | 为了澄清一下 |
[02:42] | Kevin is the defendant’s husband? | Kevin是被告的丈夫吗? |
[02:44] | MARGARET: Yes, and Derek’s younger brother. | 是的,是Derek的弟弟 |
[02:48] | Anyway, Justin was driving. | 总之,Justin开着车 |
[02:50] | Kevin was in the car when the accident occurred. | 事故发生的时候Kevin在车里 |
[02:53] | Justin was killed. | Justin死了 |
[02:55] | Kevin was paralyzed. | Kevin瘫痪了 |
[02:58] | Derek blamed Kevin, | Derek责怪Kevin |
[03:00] | claiming his lack of supervision. | 说他疏于监督 |
[03:02] | They became estranged | 他们开始不和 |
[03:04] | and remained so. | 一直到现在 |
[03:06] | To your knowledge, | 据你所知 |
[03:07] | what was Derek’s relationship with the defendant? | Derek和被告关系如何? |
[03:10] | That had also deteriorated. | 他们的关系也恶化了 |
[03:13] | Nancy became Kevin’s primary caregiver. | Nancy成了Kevin最重要的看护人 |
[03:16] | And as you can imagine, | 你能想象到的 |
[03:17] | it’s been extremely burdensome. | 这是非常繁重的 |
[03:20] | There were insurance problems, | 有保险方面的问题 |
[03:22] | money issues, | 钱的问题 |
[03:24] | and Nancy couldn’t understand | Nancy无法理解 |
[03:25] | why Kevin’s own brother wouldn’t help out. | 为什么Kevin的亲哥哥不肯帮忙 |
[03:27] | Well, you say money issues. | 那么,你说了钱的问题 |
[03:29] | Actually, | 事实上 |
[03:30] | the financial situation was desperate, wasn’t it? | 经济状况很糟糕,不是吗? |
[03:33] | The problem with insurance, | 保险的问题在于 |
[03:35] | there’s a lifetime cap. | 有封顶限额 |
[03:37] | In this case, $750,000. | 这种情况下,是75万 |
[03:41] | They exhausted that in three years. | 他们三年就用完了 |
[03:43] | Basically, Derek was well-off | 总之,Derek很富裕 |
[03:45] | but wouldn’t help with his brother’s care? | 但不会帮他哥哥是吗? |
[03:47] | Yes. | 是的 |
[03:48] | And this, in fact, | 实际上,这激怒了被告,不是吗? |
[03:49] | enraged the defendant, didn’t it? | 实际上,这激怒了被告,不是吗? |
[03:51] | Objection leading. | 反对诱导证人 |
[03:53] | WALSH: Withdrawn. | 我撤回这个问题 |
[03:54] | Did you have an opportunity | 在受害人死的那天 |
[03:56] | to witness an argument | 你可曾目睹 |
[03:57] | between Nancy Healy and the victim | Nancy Healy和受害人之间 |
[04:00] | the day before his death? | 发生的争吵吗? |
[04:02] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:03] | What did you observe, ma’am? | 你看到了些什么,夫人? |
[04:05] | Well, I was visiting Derek and she came over. | 呃,我正在Derek家,她来了 |
[04:08] | They got into it again. | 他们又吵起来了 |
[04:09] | WALSH: Did you hear the defendant make any threats? | 你听说被告做出了什么威胁吗? |
[04:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:13] | It escalated to a point | 吵得很激烈,以致于 |
[04:15] | where Derek said something like, | Derek说了些类似于 |
[04:18] | “Gee, if he’s so bad off, | “哎呀,如果他穷成那样 |
[04:21] | maybe he should be put out of his misery.” | 或许他应该以死解脱算了”的话 |
[04:24] | And Nancy responded, | Nancy回答说 |
[04:26] | “No, Derek, | “不,Derek |
[04:27] | somebody should put you out of your misery.” | 应该有人让你以死解脱” |
[04:30] | And then she said, | 然后她说 |
[04:32] | “Maybe that’s the solution.” | “或许这是个解决办法” |
[04:36] | FRUTT: When Nancy said this, | Nancy说这话的时候 |
[04:38] | did you believe she was forming the intent | 你认为她有了杀掉Derek的意图了吗? |
[04:40] | to kill Derek? | 你认为她有了杀掉Derek的意图了吗? |
[04:41] | Obviously not. | 绝对没有 |
[04:43] | And when you talked to the police, | 当你跟警方谈话的时候 |
[04:45] | you described Nancy’s psychological | 你描述了Nancy的心理状态,不是吗? |
[04:47] | state of mind, didn’t you? | 你描述了Nancy的心理状态,不是吗? |
[04:49] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:50] | FRUTT: Could you please tell the jury | 你可以把你向警方说的话 |
[04:51] | what you told the police? | 对陪审团说一遍吗? |
[04:52] | For several months | 在杀人前的几个月里 |
[04:54] | preceding the killing, | 在杀人前的几个月里 |
[04:56] | she seem to be increasingly erratic. | 她的情绪似乎越来越不稳定了 |
[04:59] | The insurance thing, | 保险的事 |
[05:01] | she felt very deceived. | 她觉得上了大当 |
[05:02] | It made her incense. | 这让她很愤怒 |
[05:04] | And erratic? | 情绪不稳定吗? |
[05:06] | Yes. | 是的 |
[05:07] | In my opinion, she was having | 在我看来 |
[05:09] | some kind of nervous breakdown. | 她有点精神崩溃了 |
[05:15] | What do you mean you can’t get hired? | 你说你不能被录用是什么意思? |
[05:17] | I can’t. | 就是不能 |
[05:18] | Andrea, you made law review. | Andrea,你做过法律评论 |
[05:20] | You clerked. | 你是法庭书记员 |
[05:21] | What, you have a criminal record or something? | 怎么,你有前科或者别的什么事? |
[05:24] | Close. | 差不多吧 |
[05:28] | When I was 14, | 我14岁的时候 |
[05:30] | I was raped. | 我被强奸了 |
[05:33] | It comes up in my interviews | 在面试中一提到这件事 |
[05:34] | and my prospects hit the floor with a thud. | 我的前途就破灭了 |
[05:37] | It comes up in your interviews? | 在你的面试中提到这件事? |
[05:39] | How many have you had? | 这发生了多少次? |
[05:41] | Including callbacks, over 30. | 算上复试,超过三十次了 |
[05:43] | And it always comes up? | 那事总是会提出来? |
[05:44] | Pretty much. | 差不多 |
[05:47] | I took some time off for treatment, | 我请假一段时间去做心理治疗 |
[05:49] | so the little gap in my resume, | 所以我的简历上有一小段空白 |
[05:51] | I explain it. | 我就对此做解释 |
[05:54] | Do you think it’s wise to bring it up? | 你认为提出来是明智的吗? |
[05:58] | I mean, law firms aren’t exactly looking | 我是说律师事务所确实不打算 |
[05:59] | to hire rape victims. | 聘用强奸受害者 |
[06:01] | This is what I’m assuming. | 我就是这么假定的 |
[06:07] | Who would you sue? | 她要告谁? |
[06:08] | The law firms. | 律师事务所 |
[06:09] | She already has sued and– | 她以经起诉了。。。 |
[06:10] | All 30 of them? | 三十家事务所? |
[06:12] | STRINGER: Yes. She’s claiming industry bias. | 她声称存在行业歧视 |
[06:14] | Against rape victims? | 针对强奸受害者? |
[06:15] | Here’s the complaint and supporting memoranda. | 这是诉状和附带的备忘录 |
[06:17] | It’s pretty good. | 写得很好 |
[06:18] | Thing is, they brought a motion to dismiss yesterday | 问题是,他们昨天提出了一个驳回动议 |
[06:21] | and now, there’s an evidentiary hearing– | 现在,有一个证据听证会。。。 |
[06:23] | Slow down. | 慢点说 |
[06:27] | Andrea has to testify, | Andrea必须要作证 |
[06:29] | so she basically needs co-counsel. | 所以她需要协同律师 |
[06:31] | That’s why she asked for our help. | 因此她找我们帮忙 |
[06:33] | Well, have any of these firms | 好吧,这些事务所里 |
[06:35] | said that her status as a rape victim | 有说过不雇用她的原因 |
[06:36] | was why they didn’t hire her? | 是因为她是强奸案受害者的吗? |
[06:38] | Of course not. But zero for thirty? | 当然没有,但三十家都没说? |
[06:41] | Come on. Jamie! | - 想想吧 |
[06:42] | It’s a solid test case, Eugene. | Eugene,这是一个很可靠的判例 |
[06:44] | What, rape victims as a class? | 什么,把强奸受害者归于一类? |
[06:45] | I know it’s tough | 我知道这很难 |
[06:48] | which means… | 但也意味着。。。 |
[06:50] | it would be a lot of help | 如果一个资深诉讼律师 |
[06:51] | if there were a senior litigator there with me. | 带着我会有很大的作用的 |
[06:54] | They might be more inclined to settle. | 他们可能更倾向于达成和解 |
[06:58] | Please? | 行吗? |
[07:02] | It’s you. | 是你的问题 |
[07:04] | Me? | 我? |
[07:05] | The problems, | 这个问题 |
[07:06] | as you describe them, | 如你所描述的 |
[07:08] | it all goes by your own admission to your, uh… | 完全源自于你自己承认的,呃。。。 |
[07:13] | inability to share your life, | 你无法交流和分享你的生活 |
[07:15] | your unwillingness to. | 而且你也不愿意这么做 |
[07:18] | I didn’t exactly say that, doctor. | 我可真没说过,医生 |
[07:20] | Yes, you did. | 不,你说了 |
[07:22] | Look, here’s the deal. | 听着,是这样的 |
[07:24] | You like being alone. | 你喜欢独处 |
[07:26] | She doesn’t. | 而她不是 |
[07:27] | So what do we do about it? | 那么我们该怎么办? |
[07:30] | Well, we go to work on it | 呃,如果你想的话 |
[07:31] | that is, if you want to. | 我们会着手解决的 |
[07:34] | Of course I do. | 我当然想了 |
[07:35] | Well, I’m not so sure about that. | 呃,我可不太确定 |
[07:38] | You’re here because your marriage | 你来这里是因为你的婚姻 |
[07:39] | feels like it’s failing. | 好像失败了 |
[07:41] | You’re here because, for the sake of your son, | 你来这儿是看在你儿子的份上的 |
[07:43] | you wanna repair the deficits. | 你想做些补救 |
[07:45] | But that’s different | 但那不同于 |
[07:47] | from actually desiring a partnership. | 渴望恢复你和妻子的关系 |
[07:51] | From where I sit, I think you crave isolation. | 依我看来,我认为你渴望的是孤寂 |
[07:57] | LORI: She called me just past 3:00, | 她刚过3点打电话给我 |
[08:00] | asking if I could come over. | 问我能不能过来 |
[08:02] | The defendant called you? | 是被告打电话给你? |
[08:03] | Which wasn’t unusual. | 这并不稀奇 |
[08:06] | I filled in a lot, caring for Kevin. | 我替她照顾Kevin了很多 |
[08:09] | It gave her a chance to get out of the house. | 那让她可以出门 |
[08:11] | And lately, it seemed like she needed it. | 最近,她总是需要出门 |
[08:13] | So even though your husband was estranged from his brother, | 所以即使你丈夫和他哥哥不和 |
[08:17] | you weren’t? | 而你并没有那样? |
[08:18] | No. | 没有 |
[08:19] | In fact, it was an issue between Derek and me. | 实际上,这就是我和Derek的之间的看法不同 |
[08:22] | I thought he should contribute. | 我觉得他应该帮忙 |
[08:24] | The reality is our son caused the accident | 说到底是我们的儿子造成了事故 |
[08:27] | which paralyzed Kevin. | 导致Kevin瘫痪了 |
[08:30] | WALSH: Okay. | 那好 |
[08:31] | Going back to the day Derek was killed, | 说回到Derek被杀的当天 |
[08:34] | you got a phone call from Nancy? | Nancy给你打了一个电话? |
[08:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[08:37] | She asked if I could watch Kevin | 她问我能不能在她办些事的时候 |
[08:39] | while she did a few errands. | 照顾一下Kevin |
[08:41] | I agreed. | 我同意了 |
[08:42] | I went over there around 4:00. | 我到那儿差不多是四点 |
[08:44] | Nancy returned a little after 6:00. | Nancy是六点过一点回来的 |
[08:46] | I then went home, | 然后我就回家了 |
[08:48] | where I found Derek. | 我在家发现了Derek |
[08:50] | Dead? Yes. | - 死了? - 对 |
[08:53] | He was bleeding from the head. | 他的头在流血 |
[08:54] | And you called the police? | 你报警了吗? |
[08:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[08:57] | And what did you say? | 你怎么说的? |
[08:59] | That I thought Nancy killed him. | 我认为是Nancy杀了他 |
[09:04] | When Nancy returned home, | Nancy回家的时候 |
[09:06] | how did she appear? | 显得怎么样? |
[09:08] | Very disoriented. | 显得非常茫然 |
[09:10] | And you mentioned that, lately, | 你提到过,最近 |
[09:12] | you had actually been increasing your role | 你实际上算是逐渐成了Kevin的护士了? |
[09:16] | as nurse for Kevin? | 你实际上算是逐渐成了Kevin的护士了? |
[09:17] | LORI: Yes. | 是的 |
[09:18] | I was doing night shift | 我负责夜间替她 |
[09:20] | twice a week. | 一周两次 |
[09:21] | The last month, I was there a lot. | 上个月,我去了很多次 |
[09:23] | Why? | 为什么? |
[09:24] | Well, Nancy was becoming less competent. | 呃,Nancy越来越做不好了 |
[09:28] | She’d forget things. | 她总是忘事 |
[09:30] | One time, Kevin was in bed for almost the whole day | 又一次,Kevin几乎一整天都在床上 |
[09:33] | while she slept on the floor. | 而她则睡在地板上 |
[09:34] | She’d taken some pills or something. | 她吃了些安眠药什么的 |
[09:37] | BERLUTI: Did you talk to her about this? | 你跟她说了这事吗? |
[09:38] | LORI: Yes. I tried to get her | 说了,我劝她 |
[09:40] | to get help of her own, counseling, | 自己去做些心理咨询 |
[09:42] | but she’d just go off on how she couldn’t afford it. | 但她发火了说她根本付不起钱 |
[09:46] | Going back to the day your husband died, | 你丈夫死的那天 |
[09:49] | when you got the call from Nancy, | 当你接到Nancy打来的电话 |
[09:52] | asking you to come over, | 请你过去的时候 |
[09:54] | how did she sound to you? | 你听她说话的声音如何? |
[09:56] | Not good. | 不怎么好 |
[09:58] | She sounded like she was going to snap. | 她听起来好像要崩溃了 |
[10:03] | Your husband received money | 你的丈夫可以得到 |
[10:05] | as part of a family trust. | 家族信托的一部分钱 |
[10:06] | Isn’t that right? | 不对吗? |
[10:07] | Yes. | 对 |
[10:09] | And upon his death, | 他死后 |
[10:11] | that money would then go to Kevin. | 那部分钱会转给Kevin |
[10:13] | Also correct? | 对吗? |
[10:15] | Yes. | 对 |
[10:16] | Would Nancy Healy have known this? | Nancy Healy会知道这个事吗? |
[10:22] | Yes, she would. | 是的,她会知道的 |
[10:36] | I don’t even think I called her. | 我甚至都不记得给她打过电话了 |
[10:38] | I don’t even think I called her. | 我甚至都不记得给她打过电话了 |
[10:39] | Honey, they have the phone records. | 亲爱的,他们有电话记录 |
[10:41] | Maybe she wants me convicted. | 也许她想我被判有罪 |
[10:43] | Anybody think about that? | 有人想过这个吗? |
[10:44] | Lori is your friend. | Lori是你的朋友 |
[10:45] | She’s not gonna lie. | 她不会撒谎的 |
[10:47] | Why didn’t you cross her better? | 你对她交叉盘问时为什么不做得好一些? |
[10:48] | You were mush! | 你真是个笨蛋! |
[10:53] | Look… | 听我说。。。 |
[10:54] | we need to stay united | 我们需要团结一致 |
[10:55] | and focus on our defense. | 把精力集中在你的辩护上 |
[10:58] | Tomorrow’s gonna be a long day. | 明天会很难熬 |
[11:00] | She thinks I’m insane. | 她认为我疯了 |
[11:02] | Sweetheart… | 亲爱的。。。 |
[11:04] | it’s our legal defense. | 这是法律允许我们的辩护理由 |
[11:09] | If I go away, | 如果我被判有罪 |
[11:11] | who takes care of you? | 谁来照顾你? |
[11:14] | Who takes care of you? | 你照顾你? |
[11:30] | COTE: Overall… | 总的来说。。。 |
[11:31] | of the 30 initial interviews, | 在30次首次面试中 |
[11:34] | I talked about being raped all but seven times. | 除了七次以外,我都谈到了我被强奸的事 |
[11:37] | I got seven callbacks. | 我得到了七次复试 |
[11:40] | I’ll let you guess which ones. | 我要请你们猜猜是哪几次? |
[11:42] | Why bring it up at all? | 到底为什么要说出那件事呢? |
[11:44] | Certainly, rape does not make for a fun conversation. | 显然强奸并不会使谈话愉快 |
[11:47] | No, it doesn’t. | 对,是不会 |
[11:49] | The truth is I never talked about it, | 其实我从来都没提及 |
[11:52] | not even to my closest friends. | 甚至对最亲近的朋友都没有提过 |
[11:55] | I always thought that I could outrun the memory | 我一直以为我最终有一天 |
[11:58] | and that one morning, | 早上醒来 |
[11:59] | I would finally wake up unraped. | 会把这事忘记的 |
[12:01] | But during my clerkship, | 但在我做法庭书记员的时候 |
[12:04] | I began to suffer from some emotional problems, | 我开始受一些情绪方面问题的困扰 |
[12:08] | anxiety. | 焦虑症 |
[12:11] | I got therapy and discovered much of it | 我接受了心理治疗并发现那主要 |
[12:13] | was brought on by my own feelings | 是源于我自己的 |
[12:14] | of shame and guilt. | 羞耻和悔恨感 |
[12:16] | So your therapist encouraged you to talk about it? | 所以你的心理医生鼓励你去主动谈谈这些事? |
[12:19] | Yes. | 是的 |
[12:21] | Unfortunately, people don’t wanna hear it. | 不幸的是,别人并不想听 |
[12:25] | During all these interviews, | 在所有这些面试中 |
[12:27] | did anyone make any inappropriate remark | 关于你被强奸的事 |
[12:30] | concerning your being raped? | 有人说了什么不恰当的话吗? |
[12:31] | No. | 没有 |
[12:32] | Do you have any evidence, | 你有没有什么证据 |
[12:34] | testimonial, paper | 比如介绍信或者书面文件 |
[12:35] | where you can show, | 可以用来证明 |
[12:36] | but for your being raped, | 倘若不是你被强奸过 |
[12:38] | you would have been hired at a particular firm? | 你就会受雇于某家事务所吗? |
[12:40] | At a particular firm? | 某家事务所? |
[12:42] | No, I have no hard evidence. | 不,我没有确凿的证据 |
[12:46] | Thank you, Andrea. | 谢谢你,Andrea |
[12:47] | That’s all. | 没别的要问的了 |
[12:48] | You may step down. | 你可以退席了 |
[12:51] | Your Honor, clearly, there’s no prima facie case here. | 法官大人,显然这不存在初步证据确凿的案件 |
[12:54] | And even if you could show a smoking gun, | 即使你能搬出一把冒烟的枪 (法律术语中,冒烟的枪的含义是指最有力的间接证据 但不是直接证据,比如扣动扳机) |
[12:56] | Massachusetts is an at will employment state, | 马萨诸塞州是一个自由就业的州 |
[12:59] | which means, legally, | 这就是说,在法律上 |
[13:00] | they can hire whoever they want | 他们想雇谁就雇谁 |
[13:01] | without any– I’d like to call Jason McNeil. | - 而不用。。。 - 我要求传唤Jason McNeil |
[13:04] | Ms. Stringer… | Stringer女士。。。 |
[13:06] | He’s sitting right there. | 他就坐在那儿 |
[13:07] | He’s one of the defendants. | 他是被告之一 |
[13:08] | I’d like to ask him a few questions. | 我想问他几个问题 |
[13:15] | We’ll take a 20-minute break, | 我们休息20分钟 |
[13:16] | then resume with Mr. McNeil. | 然后McNeil先生出庭作证 |
[13:26] | Excuse us. | 给我们一点时间 |
[13:31] | Why did you do that? | 你为什么这么做 |
[13:32] | I didn’t think Andrea held up too well in cross, | 我认为Andrea在交叉盘问上表现得不好 |
[13:34] | so I figure, what’s to lose? | 所以我想,能有什么损失呢? |
[13:36] | Maybe the guy will say something to help us. | 也许那家伙会说点什么对我们有利的 |
[13:38] | Jamie, if you don’t know what a witness will say, | Jamie,如果你都不知道证人会说些什么 |
[13:40] | you don’t call them. | 你就不要传唤他 |
[13:41] | That’s cross-examination 101. | 这是交叉盘问的基本知识 |
[13:43] | The case is a long shot, Eugene, | Eugene,这个案子机会渺茫 |
[13:45] | so– Exactly. | - 所以。。。 - 一点都没错 |
[13:45] | So the last thing we need | 所以我们最不该干的事就是 |
[13:47] | is for the defense to get to button the motion | 让被告方得以由他们那一方来结束动议的举证 |
[13:49] | with their side. | 让被告方得以由他们那一方来结束动议的举证 |
[13:50] | STRINGER: The judge was about to rule. | 可法官就要宣布裁决了 |
[13:51] | YOUNG: This witness isn’t going to admit to anything. | 这个证人什么也不会承认的 |
[13:53] | Odds are, he’ll have you for lunch, | 最可能的是,他会乐得请你吃午饭 |
[13:54] | and then the judge will rule, all right. | 然后法官会宣布裁决,明白吗 |
[13:57] | Jamie, think. | Jamie,动动脑子 |
[13:59] | If that fails, | 就算失败了 |
[14:00] | at least check with me. | 至少要和我商量一下 |
[14:06] | KEVIN: So she had come home at about 5:00, | 她大概5点回的家 |
[14:08] | and… | 而且。。。 |
[14:10] | she looked,like Lori said, in a daze. | 她看起来像Lori说的,一脸茫然 |
[14:13] | This was when she got back from your brother’s? | 这是她从你哥哥家回来的时候? |
[14:16] | KEVIN: Yes. | 是的 |
[14:17] | Then, she lay down for about an hour. | 然后,她躺了个把小时 |
[14:19] | And then when she woke up, | 再之后当她醒来的时候 |
[14:20] | she said that… | 她说。。。 |
[14:22] | she had no memory of even going to my brother’s house. | 她甚至不记得她曾去过我哥哥家 |
[14:25] | Did you believe her? | 你相信她吗? |
[14:26] | I did. | 我相信 |
[14:27] | Because this sort of thing had happened before. | 因为这种事以前发生过 |
[14:30] | She had blackouts for extended periods of time. | 她会失忆很长时间 |
[14:33] | It was brought on by a syndrome called | 这源自于一种叫做护理者倦怠症 |
[14:35] | caregiver’s burnout. | 的典型表现 |
[14:37] | Caregiver’s burnout? | 护理者倦怠症? |
[14:39] | It’s basically a state of emotional | 总的来说是一种情绪化的 |
[14:41] | and mental exhaustion. | 身心疲惫的状态 |
[14:43] | Mrs. Healy demonstrated many of the symptoms, | Healy夫人表现出许多症状 |
[14:46] | inability to sleep, | 无法入睡 |
[14:47] | thoughts of suicide, | 想到自杀 |
[14:49] | feelings of hopelessness. | 绝望无助的感觉 |
[14:51] | The syndrome can be especially pronounced | 这种综合征当照顾者还是配偶时特别明显 |
[14:53] | when the caregiver is also the spouse. | 这种综合征当照顾者还是配偶时特别明显 |
[14:56] | She had to wash me, | 她得给我洗衣服 |
[14:58] | dress me, feed me, | 给我穿衣服,喂我吃饭 |
[15:00] | assist me in going to the bathroom, | 扶我去洗手间 |
[15:02] | and then… | 还有。。。 |
[15:05] | clean me up after I’d been to the bathroom. | 我去完洗手间后把我清理干净 |
[15:09] | It was full-time, around the clock. | 全天的,夜以继日的 |
[15:13] | It became her life. | 这成了她的生活 |
[15:15] | And the problem is | 问题在于 |
[15:16] | they start to see themselves | 他们开始把自己视为 |
[15:18] | exclusively as caregivers. | 专门的护理人员 |
[15:20] | Now, when this happens with patients | 再加之当病人的状态 |
[15:22] | whose condition isn’t improving– | 没有好转时。。。 |
[15:24] | She was plunging into depression | 她情绪陷入低落 |
[15:26] | and hopelessness. | 以及绝望 |
[15:29] | And some days, she would just amble around the house, | 有些天,她会在家里走来走去 |
[15:33] | feeling completely disoriented. | 感到十分的茫然 |
[15:35] | GABLER: Add to that the rage against the brother | 再加上对兄弟不予帮助 |
[15:37] | for not helping, | 而产生的愤怒 |
[15:39] | my opinion is, it triggered a psychotic break. | 我的看法是,它引发了精神分裂 |
[15:42] | But wouldn’t she at least remember it? | 但她连记都记不得吗? |
[15:45] | No. | 记不得 |
[15:46] | Because she suffered | 因为她患上的是 |
[15:47] | from a form of traumatic amnesia. | 一种创伤性失忆症 |
[15:49] | What she did was so shocking, | 她的行为太可怕了 |
[15:52] | she basically blocked it out. | 所以她从根本上把这段记忆排斥掉了 |
[15:54] | WALSH: How can you prove she’s not faking amnesia? | 你怎么能证明她不是假装失忆症? |
[15:57] | We obviously can’t prove it, | 我们显然无法证明 |
[15:59] | but in my professional opinion, | 但在我的专业角度来看 |
[16:00] | she has no memory of committing this act. | 她没有犯过这种罪行的记忆 |
[16:03] | Yes, well, in my professional experience, | 好吧,可根据我的专业经验 |
[16:05] | the killer usually denies doing it. | 凶手通常是否认犯了罪 |
[16:07] | And then, once you catch them, it’s, | 然后,一旦你抓住他们 |
[16:09] | “Oh, gee, amnesia.” | “噢,哎呦,我失忆了” |
[16:10] | Objection. | 反对 |
[16:11] | WALSH: Withdrawn. | 我撤回这句 |
[16:13] | When did this traumatic shock kick in, doctor? | 医生,这种创伤性休克是什么时候发生的? |
[16:15] | Probably as soon as she committed the act | 可能是她一做出要犯罪的决定 |
[16:17] | and realized it. | 并意识到了 |
[16:19] | After she had taken the time | 在她有时间把火钳上的指纹擦干净之后吗? |
[16:20] | to wipe the fire poker clean of her prints? | 在她有时间把火钳上的指纹擦干净之后吗? |
[16:23] | Possibly. | 可能吧 |
[16:24] | I can’t say for sure. | 我无法说得很确定 |
[16:25] | And all these symptoms of burnout you spoke of, | 你所说的所有这些身心疲惫的症状 |
[16:29] | thoughts of suicide, | 自杀的想法 |
[16:31] | sleeplessness, hopelessness, | 失眠,绝望 |
[16:34] | did you actually witness those symptoms, doctor? | 你真的能为这些症状作证吗,医生? |
[16:37] | They were corroborated by her husband. | 她的丈夫证实了这些 |
[16:39] | Yes, her husband. | 是呀,他的丈夫 |
[16:41] | He had the same financial motive to kill | 他和他妻子一样具有经济上的杀人动机,不是吗? |
[16:42] | as his wife, didn’t he? | 他和他妻子一样具有经济上的杀人动机,不是吗? |
[16:44] | Objection. Objection. | - 反对 - 反对 |
[16:49] | That went as well as we could have hoped. | 进展正如我们所希望的那样 |
[16:51] | You held up extremely well, Kevin. | 你表现得非常好,Kevin |
[16:53] | So what happens now? | 现在怎么办? |
[16:55] | You. | 你 |
[16:57] | You happen. | 该你了 |
[16:58] | FRUTT: You just need to tell your story, Nancy. | Nancy,你只需讲你自己的就好 |
[17:00] | Expect for Walsh to come at you | 可以预料到Walsh会用 |
[17:02] | with everything he’s got. | 他掌握的一切来对付你 |
[17:04] | But do not dodge, | 但不要逃避 |
[17:06] | do not hide. | 不要隐瞒 |
[17:07] | Simply tell the truth. | 实话实说就行 |
[17:09] | Our main mission here | 我们的主要任务是 |
[17:11] | is to let the jury see you as a human being. | 就是让陪审团把你看成一个人 |
[17:14] | Okay. | 明白了 |
[17:15] | We’re doing very well. | 我们做得很好了 |
[17:18] | We just need to hang in there a little bit longer. | 我们只需要再坚持一会儿 |
[17:24] | I remember her mentioning she’d been raped, | 我记得她说过她被强奸了 |
[17:26] | but it certainly didn’t factor into my decision. | 但这并没有影响到我的决定 |
[17:28] | Why didn’t you hire her? | 你为什么不聘用她? |
[17:29] | Counsel, we see so many applicants, | 律师,我们有很多应聘者 |
[17:32] | all with excellent transcripts | 都有来自一流的法学院的 |
[17:33] | from top-rate law schools. | 优秀成绩单 |
[17:35] | In the end, many of the final calls | 到头来,很多最终的决定 |
[17:37] | come from the gut. | 处于直觉 |
[17:39] | And your gut said, “Don’t hire Andrea Cote”? | 而你的直觉告诉你,“不要雇Andrea Cote”? |
[17:42] | MCNEIL: I didn’t form any negative conclusions | 我没有对她得出任何负面的结论 |
[17:44] | toward her. | 我没有对她得出任何负面的结论 |
[17:45] | I guess I just had more positive reactions to others. | 我想我只不过是对别的人有了更好的看法 |
[17:48] | Because they hadn’t been raped? | 因为她们没有被强奸过? |
[17:49] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[17:51] | She made law review. | 她写过法律评论 |
[17:52] | She was a finalist in the New England | 她是新英格兰地区模拟法庭比赛的决赛选手 (新英格兰地区是指美国东北部的几个州,缅因、 佛蒙特、新罕布什尔、马萨诸塞,罗得岛、康涅狄格) |
[17:54] | Moot Court Competition. | 她是新英格兰地区模拟法庭比赛的决赛选手 (新英格兰地区是指美国东北部的几个州,缅因、 佛蒙特、新罕布什尔、马萨诸塞,罗得岛、康涅狄格) |
[17:55] | McNEIL: She’s very qualified. | 她是条件很好的 |
[17:56] | But if you look at our hires | 但如果你看看我们去年的雇员 |
[17:58] | over the last year, | 但如果你看看我们去年的雇员 |
[17:59] | you’ll see that they, too, are extremely talented. | 你会看到他们也是极富天才的 |
[18:02] | STRINGER: Mr. McNeil, | McNeil先生 |
[18:03] | I have no doubt that you are an honorable man. | 我毫不怀疑你是个正直的人 |
[18:07] | Reminding you that you are under oath, | 可我要提醒你是已经宣过誓的 |
[18:10] | are you telling this court | 你是在告诉法庭 |
[18:11] | that Andrea Cote’s status as a rape victim | Andrea Cote强奸受害者的身份 |
[18:14] | didn’t inform a little | 对你是否雇用她的决定 |
[18:15] | on your decision not to hire her? | 一点也没有造成影响吗? |
[18:18] | Ms. Stringer, I indeed like to think of myself | Stringer女士,我很愿意把自己 |
[18:20] | as an honorable man. | 看作一个正直的人 |
[18:22] | I’m a proud member of the bar | 我是律师协会和 |
[18:24] | and an officer of this court. | 法律工作者中的荣誉一员 |
[18:26] | And I will tell you categorically, | 我会直截了当地告诉你 |
[18:28] | her status as a rape victim played no part whatsoever | 她作为强奸受害者的身份与我的决定 |
[18:31] | in my determination. | 毫无关系 |
[18:42] | NANCY: My head would get, um, I don’t know, | 我的脑子,呃,我说不清楚 |
[18:46] | loopy sometimes | 有时很混乱 |
[18:48] | like I was drugged or something. | 好像我被下药了什么的 |
[18:51] | The doctor said it was from stress. | 医生说是压力导致的 |
[18:54] | Sometimes I would get this incredible fatigue | 有时我会感到极其的疲劳 |
[18:57] | and I would go to sleep. | 于是我会去睡觉 |
[19:00] | And I guess I would wake up, | 我想我会醒来 |
[19:03] | but I wouldn’t wake up really. | 但我真的醒不过来。 |
[19:06] | I have no memory of even going | 我连那天去德Derek家去的事 |
[19:09] | to Derek’s house that day. | 都不记得了 |
[19:11] | And this kind of blackout, | 那这种失忆 |
[19:13] | had it happened before? | 以前发生过吗? |
[19:15] | Two other times. | 发生过两次 |
[19:16] | Like half a day would be a blank. | 就好像有半天时间是一片空白 |
[19:19] | But your anger toward the victim, | 但你很生受害人的气 |
[19:21] | that you remember? | 这你记得吗? |
[19:22] | Definitely. | 肯定记得 |
[19:24] | I think… | 我觉得。。。 |
[19:25] | he was a vile person. | 他是个卑鄙的人 |
[19:28] | I’m not defending my killing him, | 我不是在为杀他而狡辩 |
[19:30] | but I very much hated him. | 但我非常恨他 |
[19:32] | I won’t pretend otherwise. | 我不会装着不恨他的 |
[19:34] | Do you remember saying to him | 你记得对他说过 |
[19:36] | that he should be put out of his misery? | 他应该被以死解脱吗? |
[19:38] | That was a figure of speech. | 那不过是打个比方 |
[19:41] | I promise you, | 我向你保证 |
[19:42] | I never formed an intent | 我从未有过要杀了他 |
[19:45] | to kill him | 我从未有过要杀了他 |
[19:46] | or to become violent. | 或者过激的想法 |
[19:48] | Whatever happened in that house… | 不管那房子里发生了。。。 |
[19:51] | happened, | 所发生的 |
[19:53] | but I had to be acting outside of myself. | 但我肯定是在无意识的状态下做的 |
[19:58] | If you don’t remember, | 如果你记不得了 |
[20:00] | how can you be sure you didn’t form | 那你怎么能肯定 |
[20:02] | a plan that day to kill him? | 你没有计划在那天杀他呢? |
[20:03] | Because I’m not a murderer, Mr. Walsh. | 因为我不是个杀人犯,Walsh先生 |
[20:07] | Are you a liar? | 你是个骗子吗? |
[20:08] | No. | 不是 |
[20:10] | An honest person? | 一个诚实的人 |
[20:11] | Yes, I am. | 对,我是 |
[20:13] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[20:14] | So the hatred you felt for your brother-in-law | 那么你对你大伯子的仇恨 |
[20:18] | was because he wouldn’t contribute money | 是因为他不愿为护理你丈夫出钱? |
[20:20] | to your husband’s care? | 是因为他不愿为护理你丈夫出钱? |
[20:22] | That was the main thing, | 那是主要原因 |
[20:23] | but he was a bad human being | 但他在很多方面 |
[20:25] | in many other ways. | 都是个坏人 |
[20:27] | So you could never see yourself loving him, | 所以你永远也不会想到自己会喜欢他 |
[20:29] | I guess? | 我想是吧? |
[20:32] | Could you see yourself making love to him? | 那你能想到自己和他做爱吗? |
[20:38] | You see… | 要知道。。。 |
[20:40] | Derek once confided something to his mother. | Derek曾经向他母亲吐露过一些事情 |
[20:42] | I had planned to ask her on the stand, | 我本来在她作证的时候问问她 |
[20:43] | but then I thought | 但我想 |
[20:45] | how much more exciting it would be | 如果直接问你会多刺激呀 |
[20:47] | to ask you. | 如果直接问你会多刺激呀 |
[20:49] | Did you ever have an affair with the victim, Mrs. Healy? | Healy夫人,你曾和受害人私通过吗? |
[20:57] | Blackout? | 失忆了? |
[20:58] | No memory of it? | 记不得了? |
[21:01] | Did you ever have sexual intercourse | 你和Derek Healy发生过性关系吗? |
[21:05] | with Derek Healy? | 你和Derek Healy发生过性关系吗? |
[21:09] | It happened. | 有过 |
[21:11] | WALSH: You just told the jury you were an honest person. | 你刚刚告诉陪审团你是个诚实的人 |
[21:14] | Is that your idea of honest behavior | 你认为和你丈夫的哥哥睡觉 |
[21:17] | sleeping with your husband’s brother? | 是诚实的行为吗? |
[21:18] | Objection! Did he scorn you? | - 反对! - 他对你不屑一顾吗? |
[21:20] | Your Honor! Mr. Walsh. | - 法官大人! - Walsh先生 |
[21:22] | Love or money, money or love, what was the motive for murder? | 爱情钱财,钱财爱情,杀人的动机到底是什么? |
[21:24] | Move to strike. | 请求不予记录 |
[21:25] | WILCOX: Mr. Walsh! | Walsh先生! |
[21:46] | FRUTT: Look, technically, | 听着,严格意义上 |
[21:49] | this doesn’t affect our defense. | 这对我们的辩护没有影响 |
[21:52] | With a psychotic break, | 用精神崩溃的理由 |
[21:54] | motive isn’t in play. | 就谈不上动机了 |
[21:57] | What other– | 还有其他。。 |
[21:59] | Let’s not kid ourselves. | 别自欺欺人了 |
[22:01] | It matters. | 这有影响 |
[22:07] | I am so sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[22:15] | It happened three years ago. | 这是三年前的事了 |
[22:17] | I just– | 我只是。。。 |
[22:21] | sometimes I would get so lonely, Kevin. | 有时我觉得好孤独,Kevin |
[22:27] | Well, | 好吧 |
[22:30] | I never deluded myself into thinking that | 这件事上我从未欺骗自己去求得安慰 |
[22:36] | and I was always afraid that you’d… | 我一直担心你会。。。 |
[22:40] | turn to someone else | 去找别人 |
[22:42] | for what you couldn’t get from me. | 因为你不能从我这里得到什么 |
[22:47] | To go to him? | 但是去找他? |
[23:05] | Any word? No. | - 有消息吗? - 没有 |
[23:07] | I persuaded the judge to let me give a summation, | 我说服法官让我做一个辩论总结 |
[23:09] | so we go back in tomorrow morning. | 所以我们明早再出庭 |
[23:11] | Summation? | 辩论总结? |
[23:12] | I can’t give up on this, Eugene. | Eugene,我无法放弃 |
[23:14] | Well, how did you persuade the judge? | 那你是怎么说服法官的? |
[23:19] | Did you go in ex parte? | 你单独去找他的? |
[23:23] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:24] | Jamie, you can’t do that. Please don’t start with me. | - Jamie,你不能这样做 - 别再训我了 |
[23:26] | What start? It’s just that you can’t do– | 什么训你?只是说你不能。。。 |
[23:27] | I would really appreciate you not leaning on me right now | 如果你现在不再跟我叨叨我会感激不尽的 |
[23:30] | and just letting me finish this closing. | 就让我自己把这案子做完吧 |
[23:31] | Could you do that? | 行不行? |
[23:35] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧? |
[23:48] | MAN: Here you go, sir. | 给你,先生 |
[23:50] | Oh, jeez! Oh, I’m sorry. | - 噢,天哪! - 哦,对不起。 |
[23:52] | Bobby! Oh, my God. Sarah? | - 噢,天啊,Sarah? |
[23:54] | How are you? | 你好 |
[23:55] | I’m great. You? | 我挺好的,你呢? |
[23:56] | Fine, fine. | 挺好,挺好 |
[23:58] | I thought you left Boston. | 我以为你离开波士顿了 |
[24:00] | Well, I’m back. | 呃,我回来了 |
[24:01] | D.C. summers were too hot. | 华盛顿的夏天太热了 |
[24:02] | I’m at Wickham now, private practice. | 我现在在Wickham事务所,私人执业律师 |
[24:04] | Wickham? Yes. | – Wickham事务所? – 对 |
[24:05] | Well, that’s a good firm. | 呃,那家不错 |
[24:06] | It is. It is. | 是呀,是呀 |
[24:08] | Great. Married? | 不错。结婚了吗? |
[24:10] | No, no. One day, I hope. | 没有呢,希望能有那一天吧 |
[24:12] | Well, you look… | 你看起来。。。 |
[24:15] | fabulous. | 好极了 |
[24:16] | Thank you. You do too. | 谢谢,你也是 |
[24:18] | Um, I’m actually running late. | 嗯,我真的要迟到了 |
[24:21] | I would love to catch up sometime. | 我想找个时间和你叙叙旧 |
[24:23] | That’d be great. | 那真是太好了 |
[24:25] | Good to see you. | 见到你很高兴 |
[24:26] | You too. | 我也是 |
[24:32] | FRUTT: No prior history | 没有任何暴力行为的前科 |
[24:34] | of any violence. | 没有任何暴力行为的前科 |
[24:36] | She came home dazed that day | 那天她回家时一片茫然 |
[24:38] | with no memory of what had happened. | 对所发生的事毫无记忆 |
[24:41] | She had had prior blackouts, | 她以前有过失忆 |
[24:43] | and as the medical experts told you, | 正如医学专家告诉你的 |
[24:45] | she suffered from a syndrome | 她患上了被称为护理者倦怠症的综合症 |
[24:47] | known as caregiver’s burnout. | 她患上了被称为护理者倦怠症的综合症 |
[24:50] | It broke her. | 使她崩溃了 |
[24:52] | The daily, overwhelming burden | 日复一日的沉重负担 |
[24:55] | of having to care for a quadriplegic | 不得不照顾四肢瘫痪的病人 |
[24:57] | with almost no help, no money, | 几乎没有帮助,没有钱 |
[25:00] | coupled with a rage against a man | 再加上对一个拒绝帮助她的人的愤怒 |
[25:02] | who refused to help her, | 再加上对一个拒绝帮助她的人的愤怒 |
[25:04] | it broke her. | 这使她崩溃了 |
[25:07] | Even Derek Healy’s own wife told you | 连Derek Healy的妻子也告诉你们 |
[25:09] | that when she spoke to Nancy | 当她那天在电话里 |
[25:11] | on the phone that day, | 和Nancy交谈的时候 |
[25:12] | she sounded like she was going to snap. | 她听起来好像要崩溃了 |
[25:17] | she did snap. | 她确实崩溃了 |
[25:19] | And the trauma of taking a human life | 而杀人对她造成的创伤 |
[25:23] | suppressed her memory. | 抑制了她的记忆 |
[25:26] | WALSH: How convenient. | 说得多轻巧呀 |
[25:28] | She kills, | 她杀了人 |
[25:30] | forgets she kills, | 转头就忘了这回事 |
[25:32] | then lines up for her inheritance. | 然后就等着领取遗产 |
[25:35] | Oh, and by the way, | 噢,顺便说一下 |
[25:37] | she just happened to have slept | 她碰巧和她用火钳干掉的那个男人上过床 |
[25:39] | with the guy that she took the fire poker to. | 她碰巧和她用火钳干掉的那个男人上过床 |
[25:42] | Come on. | 想想吧 |
[25:43] | The only person that can support | 唯一能提供证明 |
[25:45] | these memory lapses, | 那些记忆丧失 |
[25:46] | this dazed condition, | 和茫然的状态的人 |
[25:48] | is her husband, | 是她的丈夫 |
[25:50] | the man who also has a strong motive | 这人也持有强烈的动机 |
[25:52] | to defend his wife, | 去为他的妻子辩护 |
[25:55] | the man who also profits from the killing. | 这人也因这起杀人而受益 |
[25:58] | Here’s what we have. | 而我们所掌握的是 |
[26:00] | The defendant | 被告 |
[26:01] | and her ex-lover | 和她的旧情人 |
[26:03] | argue the day before. | 在事发前一天争吵过 |
[26:05] | She tells him | 她告诉他 |
[26:06] | he should be put out of his misery. | 他应该以死来获得解脱 |
[26:09] | She says, “That’s the solution.” | 她说“这是个解决办法” |
[26:12] | The next day, | 第二天 |
[26:13] | she kills him | 她杀了他 |
[26:15] | knowing she’ll inherit. | 她知道她可以获得遗产 |
[26:24] | Exactly, how long is this summation? | 说真的,这个辩论总结要多长时间? |
[26:29] | Jamie, it’s understandable | Jamie,一个律师感到焦虑是可以理解的 |
[26:31] | for a lawyer to be anxious, | Jamie,一个律师感到焦虑是可以理解的 |
[26:33] | especially a young one, but this is a motion. | 尤其是一个年轻律师,但这只是一个动议 |
[26:35] | It’s not a trial so– It’s a motion to dismiss | – 不是庭审,所以。。。 – 这是一个申请撤案的动议 |
[26:37] | and the client is a friend. | 而且当事人是一个朋友 |
[26:38] | And– | 还有。。。 |
[26:43] | I asked before. | 我之前问过 |
[26:45] | I’ll ask you again. | 但我还要再问一次 |
[26:47] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧? |
[26:50] | You can talk to me. | 你可以跟我说 |
[26:51] | It might even help. | 这可能会有帮助的 |
[26:52] | I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[26:54] | I am anxious, but… | 我是很焦虑,但是。。。 |
[26:57] | I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[27:05] | Okay. | 说吧 |
[27:15] | I was date raped once. | 我曾经在一次约会时被强奸了 |
[27:17] | Four years ago. | 在四年前 |
[27:18] | I didn’t report it. | 我没有举报 |
[27:20] | I was too afraid of the stigma, | 我对这种羞耻太恐惧了 |
[27:22] | so maybe this case has… | 所以也许这个案子。。。 |
[27:26] | stirred things up a bit. | 有些刺激到了我 |
[27:29] | You didn’t report it? | 你没有举报? |
[27:30] | I couldn’t even remember what I said yes to. | 我甚至都不记得我答应了些什么 |
[27:33] | So what, he drugged you? | 怎么了,他给你下药了? |
[27:36] | Yes. | 对 |
[27:37] | So I don’t know. | 所以我不知道 |
[27:40] | Maybe I’m not being exactly objective | 或许我对待这个案子不太客观 |
[27:42] | about this case and if so, | 如果是那样 |
[27:44] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[27:46] | Did you go to counseling for this or– | 你是否就此事去咨询过,或者。。。 |
[27:48] | You’re the first person I’ve even told. | 你是我第一个告诉你的人 |
[27:52] | Don’t ask me why I’m telling you. | 别问我为什么要告诉你 |
[27:54] | Jamie, Lucy works for rape crisis. | Jamie, Lucy为性侵危机处理中心工作 |
[27:57] | Maybe she can– I’m past it now, but thank you. | – 或许她能。。。 – 这事过去了,但还是谢谢你 |
[28:00] | Jamie, | |
[28:01] | this is something you need to deal with. | 这是你需要认真对待的事情 |
[28:03] | I did deal with it. | 我确实认真对待了 |
[28:04] | I moved on. | 我把这事放下了 |
[28:05] | Clearly, you haven’t. | 显然,你没有 |
[28:10] | I need to get to work on my closing. | 我要准备我的结案陈词了 |
[28:14] | I told you this in confidence, Eugene, | Eugene,这事我是私下说的 |
[28:16] | and I’m gonna ask you to respect it. | 我要你尊重这一点 |
[28:40] | FRUTT: There’s gonna be some media floating around. | 会有一些媒体在四处游荡 |
[28:41] | So why don’t you go wait on that witness room | 所以为什么你们不去证人室等一下 |
[28:43] | and we’ll find out what’s going on. | 我们会去看看有什么情况 |
[28:44] | Okay. | 好的 |
[28:48] | Ellenor, Jimmy. | |
[28:51] | How’d you like my little bombshell? | 你们觉得我的小炸弹怎么样? |
[28:53] | You’re quite pleased with yourself. | 你对自己很满意呀 |
[28:55] | Anyway, we have a verdict. | 不管怎么样,我们得到一个裁决了 |
[28:57] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[28:58] | 11:00 last night. | 昨晚十一点得出的 |
[28:59] | Jury’s coming back in about an hour. | 陪审团一个小时内回来 |
[29:02] | See you then, I guess. | 到时候见 |
[29:04] | This isn’t good. | 这可不妙 |
[29:06] | No, it isn’t. | 不,不见得 |
[29:20] | What’s up? | 怎么了? |
[29:24] | The jury has a verdict. | 陪审团得出裁决了 |
[29:27] | We’ll be called in about an hour. | 我们会在一小时内出庭 |
[29:42] | BERLUTI: Look, it means nothing. | 听着,这不说明什么 |
[29:45] | They spend so much time together. | 他们花了这么多时间在一起 |
[29:48] | It probably has no relevance to anything. | 这可能跟什么事都没有关系 |
[29:55] | BARKER: I still love the justice department, | 我还是喜欢司法部的工作 |
[29:57] | but, uh, | 但是,呃 |
[29:59] | I guess I wanna buy a house one day, | 我想我有一天要买房子的 |
[30:00] | so private practice it was. | 所以私人执业可以做到 |
[30:02] | Well, | 呃, |
[30:04] | it certainly looks good on you. | 这自然是很适合你的 |
[30:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[30:10] | Bobby, what’s going on? | Bobby,怎么了? |
[30:12] | What do you mean? | 你指什么? |
[30:13] | Why are we having coffee? | 我们为什么要喝咖啡? |
[30:16] | Well, like you said, to… | 呃,你说过的,为了。。。 |
[30:17] | catch up and– | 叙叙旧。。。 |
[30:19] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[30:21] | Let’s catch up then, how’s your marriage? | 那我们就聊聊吧,你的婚姻怎么样? |
[30:26] | If you have to think about it, | 如果你要想一想才能回答的话 |
[30:27] | maybe you shouldn’t be having coffee | 你或许不应该 |
[30:29] | with a woman you used to sleep with. | 和一个以前上过床的女人喝咖啡 |
[30:30] | I didn’t mean anything other than– | 我没有别的意思。。。 |
[30:35] | I’m very faithful | 我对我的妻子 |
[30:37] | to my wife. | 很忠诚 |
[30:41] | And are you being faithful to her at this moment? | 你现在对她忠诚吗? |
[30:43] | Yes. | 是的 |
[30:46] | I’m just having coffee, | 我只是在喝咖啡而已 |
[30:49] | not with someone who I used to sleep with, | 而不是和某个以前跟我上过床的人 |
[30:51] | but… | 但是。。。 |
[30:54] | someone who– | 某个人她。。。 |
[30:55] | Who what? | 她怎么了? |
[30:58] | Who doesn’t seem to mind my company. | 她似乎并不介意我的陪伴 |
[31:03] | I don’t always get that. | 我一直没弄明白这一点 |
[31:09] | So I take it your marriage | 那我相信了你的婚姻 |
[31:10] | is important to you. | 对你是很重要的 |
[31:12] | Very. | 非常重要 |
[31:14] | Then maybe you should make use of this free time | 那么也许你应该利用这段空闲时间 |
[31:16] | and spend it with your wife. | 和你妻子一起度过 |
[31:23] | There’s no record of anybody saying anything | 没有记录显示有什么人说了什么话 |
[31:26] | or anybody even considering her status | 或者有什么人把她当成一个强奸受害者看待 |
[31:28] | as a rape victim. | 或者有什么人把她当成一个强奸受害者看待 |
[31:29] | No evidence that it was a factor | 没有证据显示那是 |
[31:30] | in any decision not to hire her. | 决定不雇用她的一个因素 |
[31:33] | All we have is the paper-thin allegation | 我们能看到的只有薄薄一纸指控 |
[31:35] | supported by nothing | 没有任何依据 |
[31:38] | that it must have been because she was raped. | 说明她被强奸过是不被雇用的原因 |
[31:40] | And even if she’s right, | 即使她是对的 |
[31:42] | even if they could show she wasn’t hired | 即使他们能证明她没有被录用 |
[31:44] | because she was raped and they can’t, | 是因为她被强奸过,而他们没能做到 |
[31:47] | the law does not recognize crime victims | 法律也不认可犯罪受害人 |
[31:49] | as a protected class for the purpose | 作为一个受保护的群体提起诉讼 |
[31:51] | of bringing a lawsuit. | 作为一个受保护的群体提起诉讼 |
[31:53] | Accordingly, Your Honor, you have no legal choice | 因此,法官大人,你除了驳回这起诉讼外别无选择 |
[31:55] | but to dismiss this complaint. | 因此,法官大人,你除了驳回这起诉讼外别无选择 |
[32:09] | Of course there’s going to be no record of it. | 当然不会有任何记录 |
[32:12] | No lawyer is ever going to write down | 没有律师会落到纸面上 |
[32:14] | or say aloud, | 或者大声说出来 |
[32:16] | “Gee, I really liked her, but that rape thing.” | “哎呀,我对她很满意,但是被强奸那事” |
[32:19] | It’s just easier to say, | 而这样说就容易多了 |
[32:21] | “I didn’t get a good feel.” | “我觉得不太好。” |
[32:23] | I agree, | 我同意 |
[32:24] | but that’s your problem, counsel. | 但那是你的问题,律师 |
[32:26] | Interviews are just that | 面试面试就是 |
[32:28] | getting a feel for a person. | 得到对一个人的感官认识 |
[32:29] | They’re not scientific. | 这不是科学 |
[32:31] | And prospective employers can reject a candidate | 潜在的雇主可以因很多原因拒绝应聘者 |
[32:33] | for a whole host of reasons. | 潜在的雇主可以因很多原因拒绝应聘者 |
[32:34] | But being raped is not one of them. | 但被强奸过不是其中之一 |
[32:37] | Says who? | 谁说的? |
[32:38] | As Mr. Hall points out, | 正如Hall先生指出的那样 |
[32:39] | there’s no special protection | 对于犯罪受害人来说 |
[32:41] | for crime victims. | 并没有特别的保护 |
[32:42] | But if she was perceived as being sexually damaged– | 但如果她被视为是性方面受到损害的。。。 |
[32:45] | Where’s the showing of that? | 哪里展示出来了? |
[32:46] | If allowed to conduct discovery, | 如果允许进行证据开示 |
[32:47] | I could make a showing. | 我会展示出来的 |
[32:48] | Ms. Stringer, | Stringer女士 |
[32:50] | it’s tough enough to fire a person in this country | 在这个国家解雇一个人 |
[32:53] | without being subjected to a lawsuit. | 不吃官司是很难的 |
[32:55] | Now, you’re asking me to create | 而现在,你在要求我 |
[32:56] | a brand new cause of action | 为那些甚至还没被雇佣的人 |
[32:59] | for those people not even hired yet. | 创立一个全新的诉讼理由 |
[33:00] | And it’s hard enough to be raped | 被强奸后不用去忍受耻辱也是很难的 |
[33:02] | without then having to endure a stigma. | 被强奸后不用去忍受耻辱也是很难的 |
[33:06] | Rape victims are still perceived of as angry, | 强奸受害者依然被视为易怒的 |
[33:09] | damaged, less than. | 受到损害的,低人一等的 |
[33:11] | As a result, women are encouraged by society | 因此,是社会促使女人们 |
[33:14] | to keep it to themselves, and for God sakes, | 把这些埋藏在心里,看在上帝的份上 |
[33:16] | don’t talk about it. | 千万别提这些事 |
[33:18] | Andrea Cote is a rape survivor. | Andrea Cote是一个强奸幸存者 |
[33:21] | And one of the ways she’s survived | 她能挺过来的方式之一 |
[33:23] | is by talking about it. | 就是通过吐露心声 |
[33:25] | She shouldn’t have to stay in a closet. | 她不应该把自己封闭起来 |
[33:28] | A woman is forcibly raped | 在这个国家里每六分钟 |
[33:30] | every six minutes in this country. | 就有一个女人被强暴 |
[33:32] | Let me say it again. | 我要再强调一遍 |
[33:33] | Every six minutes. | 每六分钟呀 |
[33:36] | You’re getting off track. | 你跑题了 |
[33:36] | No, I’m not! | 不,我没有! |
[33:38] | Jamie. | |
[33:45] | There are a lot of rape survivors out there. | 有很多强奸幸存者就在那儿 |
[33:49] | They’re beginning to constitute | 她们开始构成 |
[33:50] | a significant portion of our society, | 我们社会的很大一部分 |
[33:53] | and… | 而且。。。 |
[33:59] | we’re out there. | 我们就在那儿 |
[34:05] | We’re all around you. | 我们在你的四周 |
[34:08] | But we stay quiet | 但是我们保持安静 |
[34:10] | and things stay a secret | 一切都保持秘密 |
[34:13] | because there’s an implied pressure, uh… | 因为有无形的压力迫使我们,呃。。。 |
[34:18] | don’t talk about it. | 不要提及这些 |
[34:24] | we’re out there. | 我们就在那儿 |
[34:26] | You seem to be getting emotional, | 你似乎有些情绪化了 |
[34:31] | if you can make a legal argument… | 如果你能提出一个法律论点。。 |
[34:36] | My legal argument | 我的法律论点 |
[34:37] | would be public policy. | 将是公共政策 |
[34:40] | This country spends millions of tax dollars | 这个国家在预防强奸、医疗设施,性侵危机处理 |
[34:42] | on rape prevention, | 方面花费了数百万美元的税收 |
[34:44] | medical facilities, rape crisis units. | 方面花费了数百万美元的税收 |
[34:47] | We pass rape shield laws. | 我们通过了强奸案件证据限制法案 (限制在强奸案审判中辩护方获得关于强奸 受害者先前性经历和性行为的有关证据的法律) |
[34:50] | We have rape victims’ funds. | 我们有为强奸受害者设立的基金 |
[34:52] | We have a public policy | 我们有为了使强奸幸存者 |
[34:55] | to integrate rape survivors | 我们有为了使强奸幸存者 |
[34:57] | into society | 成为正常人融入社会的公共政策 |
[34:58] | to make them whole. | 成为正常人融入社会的公共政策 |
[35:02] | Not hiring someone because she was raped | 因为她被强奸过而不雇用她 |
[35:05] | violates that public policy, | 违反了这些公共政策 |
[35:08] | and accordingly, | 据此 |
[35:09] | affords my client | 这就给了我的当事人一个 |
[35:11] | a cause of action. | 提起诉讼的理由 |
[35:36] | Two things, | 我说两件事 |
[35:38] | first, | 首先 |
[35:39] | you argued an excellent case. | 你据理力争出一个很好的案子来 |
[35:41] | Your legal analysis was strong. | 你的法律分析很有力 |
[35:43] | Who knows, | 天晓得 |
[35:44] | you may even get the judge to recognize rape victims | 你也许甚至让法官认可强奸受害者 |
[35:47] | as a status class. | 可以作为一个有法律地位的群体 |
[35:51] | Second, | 其次 |
[35:56] | Jamie, | |
[35:58] | you need to recognize yourself | 你要承认自己也是 |
[36:00] | as a rape victim. | 一个强奸受害者 |
[36:02] | Like the judge said, your emotion | 如法官所说,你在法庭上 |
[36:04] | was all over that room. | 过于情绪化了 |
[36:06] | This thing– | 这件事。。。 |
[36:10] | talk to Lucy. | 跟Lucy谈谈吧 |
[36:23] | KEVIN: Time to go? | 该走了吗? |
[36:25] | No. We still have a few minutes. | 不,还有点时间 |
[36:32] | I figured it out. | 我想明白了 |
[36:35] | Nancy, | |
[36:37] | her feeling of being drugged. | 她感觉被别人下了药 |
[36:39] | She was drugged. | 她是被下了药了 |
[36:41] | She slept through the day. | 她睡了一整天 |
[36:43] | You made the phone call to Lori. | 是你给Lori打的电话 |
[36:45] | Lori drove over, drove Nancy’s car back, | Lori开车过来,开Nancy的车回去 |
[36:47] | pulled into the garage. | 把车开进车库 |
[36:49] | She kills her husband, | 她杀了她的丈夫 |
[36:51] | dabs Nancy’s shoe in the blood, | 把Nancy的鞋沾上血 |
[36:53] | and drives back. | 再开车回来 |
[36:55] | Nancy wakes, has no memory of what happened. | Nancy醒来后, |
[36:58] | You tell her she’s been out somewhere. | 你告诉她她曾经出去了一会儿 |
[36:59] | Nancy eventually believes it | Nancy最终相信了这一点 |
[37:02] | because she knows she’s had blackouts before | 因为她知道自己以前偶尔有过失忆 |
[37:04] | on other occasions | 因为她知道自己以前偶尔有过失忆 |
[37:05] | where you’ve drugged her. | 那也是你给她下的药 |
[37:07] | And when Nancy made the threat | 而当Nancy对Derek做出了 |
[37:08] | about putting him out of his misery, | 要他以死解脱的威胁后 |
[37:11] | the timing was perfect. | 这时机就太完美了 |
[37:13] | Do it the next day. | 第二天就干了 |
[37:19] | And how would you propose that I drugged her | 我连手都动不了,怎么给她下药 |
[37:21] | when I can’t even move my hands? | 这点你怎么解释? |
[37:24] | Sedatives on my lips? | 把麻醉药藏在我领带里吗? |
[37:26] | Lori took care of that when she made the coffee | 头一天Lori煮咖啡的时候就把这事搞定了 |
[37:28] | the night before. | 头一天Lori煮咖啡的时候就把这事搞定了 |
[37:31] | Well, | 好吧 |
[37:32] | if this fantastic tale were true, | 如果这个奇妙的故事是真的 |
[37:35] | why would I then participate in my wife’s defense | 为什么我要参与为我妻子的辩护 |
[37:38] | and… | 而且。。。 |
[37:39] | testify on her behalf at trial? | 当庭为她作证? |
[37:41] | Because either you felt a need | 要么是因为你觉得需要 |
[37:43] | to play your part to the fullest | 充分发挥你的作用 |
[37:45] | or you really don’t want | 要么就是你确实不想 |
[37:47] | Nancy in jail. | 让Nancy坐牢 |
[37:49] | The only goal was to kill your brother | 但唯一的目的是要杀了你的哥哥 |
[37:51] | and get away with it. | 然后安然脱身 |
[37:55] | You make me sound villainous. | 你使我听起来很邪恶 |
[37:59] | Wheelchair-bound people are victims. | 只能呆在轮椅上的人是受害者 |
[38:03] | We’re weak. | 我们很弱势 |
[38:04] | You know that. | 你知道的 |
[38:08] | FRUTT: Here’s the problem, Kevin. | Kevin,这就是问题所在 |
[38:10] | If Nancy gets convicted, | 如果Nancy被定罪了 |
[38:12] | which is a real possibility, | 这是很有可能的 |
[38:15] | she’s going away for life, | 她会被终身监禁 |
[38:16] | and I won’t be able to undo it. | 我也毫无办法 |
[38:19] | So the question is, | 所以问题是 |
[38:20] | “How villainous are you?” | “你到底有多邪恶啊?” |
[38:24] | Gonna let your wife go away, Kevin, | 在你妻子为你做了这一切之后 |
[38:26] | after all she’s done for you? | 你却使她身陷囹圄,Kevin? |
[38:28] | All she’s done? | 她所做的一切? |
[38:31] | She cheated on me. | 她背叛了我 |
[38:35] | Anyway, she’s not going to go away | 不管怎么样,她不会坐牢的 |
[38:39] | because you’re a wonderful attorney, Ellenor, | 因为你是个出色的律师,Ellenor |
[38:43] | and you’ve just tried a splendid case. | 而且你这个案子办得极其出色 |
[38:47] | Don’t sell yourself short. | 不要小瞧你自己 |
[38:52] | The jury’s coming in. | 陪审团回来了 |
[39:13] | Madam foreperson, | 陪审团主席女士 |
[39:15] | the jury has reached a verdict? | 陪审团有裁决了吗? |
[39:16] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的,法官大人 |
[39:18] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[39:22] | What say you? | 请宣布吧 |
[39:23] | In the matter of the Commonwealth versus Nancy Healy | 关于马萨诸塞州诉Nancy Healy |
[39:26] | on the charge of murder | 二级谋杀罪一案 |
[39:27] | in the second degree, | 二级谋杀罪一案 |
[39:29] | we find the defendant, | 我们裁定被告 |
[39:31] | Nancy Healy, | |
[39:32] | guilty. | 罪名成立 |
[39:34] | WILCOX: The jury is dismissed | 陪审团可以解散了 |
[39:35] | with the thanks of the court. | 法庭感谢你们 |
[39:36] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[39:44] | FRUTT: I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[39:46] | We’ll start pursuing appeals. | 我们将着手进行上诉 |
[39:49] | NANCY: Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:50] | KEVIN: I’m so sorry, honey. | 亲爱的,很遗憾 |
[39:53] | Who’s gonna take care of you? | 谁会来照顾你呢? |
[39:55] | I’ll be okay. | 我没事的 |
[39:58] | OFFICER: This way, ma’am. | 这边儿走,夫人 |
[40:05] | FRUTT: Nancy is my client. | Nancy是我的当事人 |
[40:08] | I can go to the police with my theory. | 我可以去找警方说出我的看法 |
[40:10] | Please do. | 那就去吧 |
[40:12] | I’m sure they’ll be as entertained by it as I was. | 我相信他们会像我一样被逗乐的 |
[40:38] | Where is everyone? | 人都哪去了? |
[40:40] | Lunch. | 吃午饭 |
[40:42] | Well, then I guess I’ll go eat. | 好吧,那我也去吃点吧 |
[40:44] | You want me to pick you up something? | 你想让我帮你带点什么吗? |
[40:46] | No, thanks. | 不用了,谢谢 |
[40:49] | Want to… | 想不想。。。 |
[40:51] | go to lunch? | 一起去吃午饭? |
[40:52] | Uh, I would love to, | 哦,我很想去 |
[40:55] | but if someone isn’t here to watch the phones, | 但如果没人在这里守着电话的话 |
[40:57] | Eugene gives birth. | Eugene会嚷嚷的 |
[41:00] | Okay. | 那好吧 |
[41:10] | Lucy, could I talk to you for a second? | Lucy,我能跟你说几句吗? |
[41:13] | Yeah, sure. | 可以呀 |
[41:23] | Well, uh– | 好吧,呃。。。 |
[41:26] | Uh, one second. | 等一下 |
[41:29] | Donnell, Young, and Frutt. | Donnell, Young, and Frutt事务所 |
[41:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[41:38] | That was the clerk’s office. | 法庭书记处 |
[41:41] | You won your motion. | 你赢下了动议 |
[41:42] | What? | 什么? |
[41:43] | Motion to dismiss was denied. | 要求撤案的动议被驳回了 |
[41:49] | Oh, wow. | 噢,天啊 |
[41:51] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[41:54] | What did you wanna talk about? | 你想谈什么来着? |
[41:58] | Well, I– | 呃,我。。。 |
[42:03] | it– | 这个。。。 |
[42:07] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧? |
[42:12] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[42:20] | nothing. | 没什么 |
[42:23] | It was a… | 这是个。。。 |
[42:28] | big case. | 大案子 |