时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Judge mendoza, I’m naming you as my nominee | 孟道萨法官,我提名你为 |
[00:10] | To be the next associate justice | 下一任美国最高法院的 |
[00:11] | Of the united states supreme court. | 大法官候选人 |
[00:13] | My name is sam seaborn | 我叫山姆希朋 |
[00:14] | And I’m the deputy communications director. | 我是新闻室副主任 |
[00:16] | Josh lyman, deputy chief of staff. | 我是乔西赖曼 白宫副幕僚长 |
[00:18] | I’m josiah bartlet. I’m charles young. | 我是杰德巴特勒 我是查尔斯杨 |
[00:20] | But you prefer charlie, right? | 但你喜欢被叫查理,对吧? |
[00:21] | I should call you zoey? | 我应该叫你柔伊吗? |
[00:22] | If I can call you charlie. | 如果我可以叫你查理 |
[00:23] | We’ve met ten or 12 times. | 我们见过十或十二次面了 |
[00:25] | I’m leo mcgarry, White house chief of staff. | 我是白宫幕僚长里奥马加瑞 |
[00:27] | I thought you were the butler. | 我以为你是仆役长呢 |
[00:29] | Leo mcgarry is white house chief of staff. | 里奥马加瑞是白宫幕僚长 |
[00:30] | I’m your host, c.j. let’s play our game. | 我是茜洁,负责招待各位 让我们开始吧 |
[00:32] | I’m toby ziegler. from the white house. | 我是托比齐格 白宫的托比齐格? |
[00:34] | Yeah. | 是的 “治国不易” |
[00:40] | Good evening. | 晚安,欢迎参加本年度马加里 |
[00:41] | Welcome to the third installment Of this year’s marjorie du pont lecture series. | 杜邦演讲系列第三场演说 |
[00:45] | I see by the size of the turnout | 参加人数众多,可见各位 |
[00:47] | You’re excited to meet tonight’s guest… | 真的很想见今晚的来宾 |
[00:49] | What are you talking about? | 你说什么? |
[00:51] | He was arrested. | 他被逮捕了 |
[00:52] | For what? | 什么罪?酒醉开车,拒捕 |
[00:53] | Drunk driving, resisting arrest And, I think, disorderly conduct. | 还有我想是扰乱秩序 |
[00:56] | You think? | 你想是? |
[00:57] | This thing’s | 乔西,这件事才发生三十分钟 |
[00:58] | About 30 minutes old, josh. | 我们并不知道到底发生什么事 |
[01:00] | We don’t know exactly what happened. | 我们知道些什么? |
[01:02] | Mendoza doesn’t drink. | 孟道萨不喝酒的 |
[01:03] | He was arrested for drunk driving. | 他是因为酒醉驾车而被抓 |
[01:05] | Roberto mendoza doesn’t drink, josh. | 乔西,罗伯特孟道萨不喝酒 |
[01:07] | How much does the press know? | 媒体知道多少? |
[01:09] | They don’t know anything. | 他们不知道 |
[01:10] | The cops haven’t leaked it? | 警察没有泄露消息? |
[01:11] | I swear to god, I don’t think the cops know. | 我敢发誓,警方根本不知道 |
[01:13] | They don’t know they arrested roberto mendoza? | 他们不知道他们抓的是 罗伯特孟道萨? |
[01:15] | They don’t know it’s that roberto mendoza. | 他们不认识孟道萨 |
[01:17] | I’ve got this… This thing now. | 我现在有事 |
[01:19] | I got a cab. | 我拦到计程车了 |
[01:21] | The white house. | 白宫 |
[01:22] | I’ll let you know what’s going on. | 我会告诉你最新情况 |
[01:24] | Stay ahead of the pace, sam, and have toby page me. | 掌握状况,山姆 还有要托比打电话给我 |
[01:27] | I don’t even know if this guy’s called a lawyer. | 我们都还不知道 |
[01:29] | Is he sitting in a jail cell right now? | 他是否请了律师 |
[01:31] | You’re not there anymore, are you? | 他现在已经在牢里了吗? 你已经没在线上了,对吧? |
[01:34] | I’m talking to no one at all right now. | 现在根本没人听我讲话 |
[01:37] | he came down to the beltway | 我们的来宾来自华府 |
[01:39] | Where he worked as floor manager for the house minority whip | 他担任过少数党党鞭 的事务经理 |
[01:42] | And chief of staff for congressman earl brennan. | 和国会议员俄罗白曼的幕僚长 |
[01:45] | After serving | 在担任过巴特勒总统 |
[01:46] | As senior political director For jed bartlet’s presidential campaign | 竞选团队的资深政治主任后 |
[01:50] | He was appointed deputy white house chief of staff. | 他被任命为白宫副幕僚长 |
[01:53] | Please welcome | 让我们欢迎乔西赖曼 乔西 |
[01:54] | Joshua lyman. Josh. | 让我们欢迎乔西赖曼 |
[01:56] | ( applause ) | 乔西 |
[01:58] | Thank you. | 谢谢你,非常感谢,谢谢 大卫很高兴见到你 |
[01:59] | Thank you very much. Good to see you. | 谢谢你,非常感谢,谢谢 |
[02:01] | Thanks, david. it’s good to see you. Have a seat. | 大卫很高兴见到你 |
[02:04] | All right. | 把麦克风别上去 |
[02:05] | Just slip that mike on. | |
[02:08] | Josh, you’re here to tell us what it’s like | 乔西今天请你来告诉我们 |
[02:11] | To work for the president. | 帮总统做事是怎么样情况 |
[02:12] | I’ll do my best. | 我会尽力描述 |
[02:14] | What happened? | 发生什么事? 茜洁,事情没你想得那么糟 |
[02:15] | It’s not as bad as you think, c.j. | 发生什么事? 茜洁,事情没你想得那么糟 |
[02:16] | Was the president’s nominee | 请问总统提名的最高法院 大法官候选人 |
[02:17] | For the supreme court just arrested? yes. | 是不是刚因酒醉驾车而被抓? |
[02:19] | Then it’s pretty bad, isn’t it? sure. | 是的 那就很糟了,不是吗? |
[02:21] | I thought he doesn’t drink. | 对 我以为他不喝酒的 他是不喝酒 |
[02:22] | He doesn’t drink. | 他今晚喝了 茜洁,是我们调查过他的 |
[02:23] | He was tonight. | 他今晚喝了 |
[02:24] | C.j., we vetted the man. | 茜洁,是我们调查过他的 |
[02:25] | I’m not saying he’s not a heavy drinker. | 我不是说他喝得不凶 |
[02:26] | I’m saying he doesn’t drink. | 我是说他根本不喝酒 |
[02:28] | Then what was he pulled over for? | 那他为什么会被警察拦下? |
[02:29] | Driving while being hispanic. | 一个开车的西班牙裔人 |
[02:30] | Does toby know? | 托比知道这事吗? |
[02:32] | I stepped off the edge of the world. | 我已经快要被逼疯了 是的 |
[02:34] | Yes. where’d this happen? | 这事在哪里发生的? |
[02:36] | Wesley, connecticut. | 康乃狄克州威斯里 |
[02:37] | Why’d he refuse the breathalyzer? | 他为什么拒绝做酒精测试? |
[02:39] | Because he’s a crazy man | 因为他是个疯子 只想毁掉我的生活 |
[02:40] | Who’s out to ruin my life. | 托比… 那就是他想做的 |
[02:41] | Toby, that’s what he’s out to do. | 托比… 那就是他想做的 |
[02:43] | Has anyone posted bail? | 法官判出保释金了吗? 没有 |
[02:44] | No. why not? | 为什么? 他们无法找到法官 |
[02:45] | They can’t find a judge. why not? | 为什么找不到? 托比,这又不是库克郡 |
[02:46] | It’s not cook county, toby. | 为什么找不到? 托比,这又不是库克郡 |
[02:48] | It’s friday night in wesley, connecticut. | 而是康乃狄克州威斯里 的周五夜晚 |
[02:50] | Believe me when I tell you this, c.j. | 茜洁,相信我,我会想办法 |
[02:51] | I will figure out a way to blame this on you. | 把这事怪在你头上 |
[02:53] | I have no doubt about that. | 我深信不疑 |
[02:54] | Have someone find his lawyer and talk to him. | 有人找到他的律师谈过吗? |
[02:57] | Sam, there’s an air force lear jet with its motor running. | 山姆,外面一架军方小飞机 已发动引擎 |
[03:00] | Fly to westchester county airport, rent a car | 飞到西杰斯特郡机场 |
[03:02] | Drive to wesley and get the next associate justice | 租一辆车开到威斯里 |
[03:05] | Of the supreme court out of jail. C.j.! | 然后把下一任最高法院法官 |
[03:09] | Sam sees one reporter when he gets off that plane | 给弄出牢里 |
[03:10] | I’m going to blame you. | 茜洁,山姆下飞机时若遇到 任何记者,我会怪你的 |
[03:11] | Toby’s got you covered there. | 托比会处理这件事 |
[03:13] | I’m going with sam. | 我要跟山姆一起去 托比 |
[03:14] | Toby. | 法官和我将会有一场 很不愉快的对谈 |
[03:14] | The judge and I are going | 法官和我将会有一场 |
[03:16] | To have an abrupt conversation. | 很不愉快的对谈 |
[03:17] | I want my phone to ring once | 我要你们每十五分钟回报一次 我要知道最新状况 罗伯洛 |
[03:19] | Every 15 minutes. | 茉拉凯利 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 里察薛福 |
[03:20] | I want to know what’s going on. | 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 “白宫风云” |
[04:09] | Josh, why don’t you start by telling us | 乔西,何不从你每天 |
[04:10] | About a typical day at the white house. | 在白宫所做的固定工作说起 |
[04:13] | Well, the first thing I’ll tell you is– | 我可以告诉你第一件事 |
[04:15] | There’s no such thing. | 在白宫里没有所谓的固定工作 |
[04:17] | There’s a schedule | 当然这工作也是有其架构 |
[04:18] | And there’s a structure, to be sure, and… | 以及时程 |
[04:21] | To a certain extent it starts out | 甚至可以说是朝九晚五的工作 |
[04:23] | As a nine-to-five job, but you can pretty much | 但到了九点半,你就知道 |
[04:27] | Count on it being blown to hell by 9:30. | 五点下班是绝对不可能的了 |
[04:30] | Give us an example. | 请举个例子 |
[04:33] | I-i’ll give you an example from this week. | 我会的,就举本周的一个例子 |
[04:38] | In fact, the story I’m about to tell you | 事实上,我现在要说的事 |
[04:40] | All happened within the last 36 hours. | 是过去三十六小时才发生的 |
[04:43] | Anyone who’s been reading the papers | 如果你们有注意这几天的报纸 |
[04:45] | In the last few days | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 |
[04:46] | Has probably been following along | 就会知道我们所谓 |
[04:48] | With what we call the news cycle that wouldn’t end. | “不中断新闻周期” 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[04:51] | Depending on how you look at it | 就看你是怎么来看事情 |
[04:53] | It started either with a cabinet secretary losing her temper | 事情的发生可能是因为 一名内阁部长 |
[04:57] | A committee chairman baiting her during a hearing | 编剧:艾伦索金 在一场公听会中 对于议会主席挑衅而发火 |
[05:00] | The president answering a question he shouldn’t have | 总统回答了 一个他不该回答问题 导演:克里斯多福米夏诺 |
[05:03] | A dentist appointment, or me, being stupid. | 看牙医的预约 或是因我的愚蠢 |
[05:09] | For the record, I’d like to say That I don’t think it was as much my fault | 让我说明,我不认为 |
[05:13] | As other people do. ( laughter ) | 我错的比别人多 |
[05:17] | One thing’s for sure. | 但有一件可以确定的是 |
[05:19] | It started out as a day | 那一天其实应该是从 |
[05:20] | That was supposed to trumpet the president’s vision For educational reform. | 宣扬总统的教改计划开始 |
[05:23] | Sam: give me the bullet points. | 告诉我重点 山姆,我已经了解 |
[05:25] | I understand this, sam. excellent. | 很好 真的 |
[05:27] | I really do. I have complete confidence in you. | 我对你有完全信心 |
[05:29] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[05:30] | Give him the bullet points. | 告诉他重点 |
[05:31] | I feel bathed in your confidence | 托比,我也可以感觉到 你对我的信心 |
[05:33] | As well, toby. c.j. | 茜洁 |
[05:34] | Forgive student loans to people who become teachers | 免除在乡下或城市贫困区里有 |
[05:37] | And spend at least three years Teaching in a rural or inner city school | 三年教学经验老师之学生贷款 |
[05:41] | Give cash bonuses to people | 现金补助由其他行业 |
[05:42] | Who leave other careers to become teachers | 转行当老师的人 |
[05:44] | And provide federal money | 为各学区提供联邦经费 |
[05:46] | For grants to individual school districts | |
[05:48] | To use older, more experienced teachers | 雇用较年长而有经验的老师 |
[05:50] | To train younger, less experienced teachers. | 来训练年轻无经验的老师 |
[05:52] | Half of all new teachers quit in the first three years. | 你应该说明有半数新老师 工作未满三年就离职了 |
[05:55] | It’s right here on my index card, toby. | 托比,我都记在卡片上了 |
[05:57] | Very good, then. | 非常好 |
[05:59] | Toby. | 托比? 是 |
[06:00] | Yeah. | 托比? 是 |
[06:01] | Got a minute? | 你有时间吗? 好 |
[06:02] | Thank you both. | 谢谢你们两位 |
[06:10] | Hey, you know what? what? | 嘿,你知道吗? 什么? |
[06:11] | What time is your briefing? | 你什么时候作简报? |
[06:12] | 11:00. | 十一点 |
[06:13] | You should push it | 你应该延到下午一点 我考虑过 |
[06:14] | To 1:00. | 你应该延到下午一点 |
[06:15] | I thought about that. | 我考虑过 |
[06:16] | Do it after the bill signing | 等到法案签过后再作简报 让这件事成为新闻 |
[06:18] | And let this be the story. | 让我们来控制新闻发生时间 |
[06:19] | Let’s control the news cycle. | 让我们来控制新闻发生时间 卡萝,把简报时间改到一点 |
[06:20] | Carol, move the briefing to 1:00. | 卡萝,把简报时间改到一点 |
[06:22] | You can’t. why not? | 不行 为什么不行? 一点钟你有事 |
[06:23] | You have the thing. | 一点钟你有事 对,这正好是大好理由 来拖延这件事 |
[06:24] | This is a perfect excuse | 对,这正好是大好理由 |
[06:25] | To postpone the thing. | 来拖延这件事 |
[06:26] | You really don’t want to do that. | 我不认为你该这么做 |
[06:27] | You have a thing? | 你有事吗? |
[06:28] | I have a dentist appointment at noon. | 我中午有牙医预约 |
[06:29] | What’s wrong? nothing’s wrong. | 怎么了? 没事 |
[06:31] | I’m experiencing some pain. | 茜洁 最近牙齿有点痛 |
[06:33] | For how long? | 多久了? |
[06:34] | About a month now, but it’ll go away by itself. | 大概一个月 但这痛会自己消失的 |
[06:37] | When? | 何时? 等我死时,山姆 卡萝,取消预约 |
[06:38] | When I die, sam. | 等我死时,山姆 |
[06:39] | Carol, cancel the appointment. | 卡萝,取消预约 |
[06:40] | Carol, set the briefing for 2:00. | 卡萝,将简报改到两点 |
[06:42] | Keep the appointment. | 预约保留 |
[06:43] | Sam. | 山姆 |
[06:44] | Your teeth are the best friends you got, c.j. | 茜洁,牙齿是你最好的朋友 |
[06:46] | They are? take care of them, they’ll take care of you. | 是吗? 只要你照顾好它们 它们也会照顾你的 |
[06:48] | When did you start talking like this? | 你何时讲话像这样? |
[06:50] | I’m nuts for dental hygiene. | 我非常注重牙齿卫生 |
[06:51] | Go away. Now. | 请你马上离开 好吧 |
[06:53] | Okay. | 请你马上离开 |
[06:54] | she called him a racist. | 好吧 |
[06:56] | She didn’t use that word. | 她称他为种族歧视者? 她并没用那样字眼 |
[06:57] | What word did she use? | 那她是怎么说? |
[06:58] | Well, yes, she used that word. Bonnie, ginger. | 好吧,她是用了那个字眼 |
[07:01] | Yes. | 邦妮,金洁 是 |
[07:02] | I want anything that might be on the wire already | 我要所有关于住都部长大骂 |
[07:05] | About the hud secretary calling jack wooden a racist. | 杰克伍登种族歧视的新闻 |
[07:07] | You want it now? | 你现在就要? |
[07:08] | No, bonnie, I want it | 不,邦妮 |
[07:10] | At whatever leisurely pace you two feel… | 你们俩什么时候高兴时再做 |
[07:12] | I’m just asking. | 我只是问一下 |
[07:13] | I want it now. | 我现在就要 |
[07:15] | On c-span, she called him a racist. | 在国会频道上 她叫他种族歧视者? |
[07:17] | No, no, no, not just wooden. | 不,不,不是只有伍登 |
[07:18] | She was pretty careful to include all republicans. | 不,不,不是只有伍登 |
[07:21] | Why are you good-humored about this? | 她还很钜细靡遗 涵盖了所有共和党人 |
[07:23] | She was baited. | 你为什么觉得这好笑? |
[07:24] | I don’t care. | 他是故意设计她的 我不管 |
[07:25] | She was baited and she was right. | 她被设计而她是对的 |
[07:27] | Good for her. | 那太好了 |
[07:28] | Excuse me, josh, did you know | 对不起,乔西 |
[07:29] | Deborah o’leary called… | 你知道黛比奥赖瑞骂… |
[07:30] | Is that a wire story? | 那是通讯稿吗? |
[07:32] | What’s it say? | 上面怎么写? |
[07:33] | “Wooden’s lengthy recitation of problems | 伍登对于如何解决 |
[07:35] | “Confronting public housing drew an angry response | 民众住屋问题冗长陈述 |
[07:38] | From secretary o’leary” | 引起奥赖瑞部长不满 |
[07:39] | And here is what she said. “Public housing has serious problems, Mr. Chairman. | 她说:伍登先生我不否认 |
[07:42] | “I don’t deny that, but if you | 民众住屋问题是很严重 |
[07:44] | And your colleagues in the republican party…” | 但是如果你 以及你共和党的同事们 |
[07:46] | ( moaning ) “Were as invested | 不… |
[07:48] | “In solving the problems associated with poverty | 如果你能以利用贫穷及 |
[07:50] | “As you are in scoring political points | 少数民族利益来获取政治利益 |
[07:52] | “On the backs of the poor people and minorities | 精神解决贫穷带来的问题 |
[07:53] | You might just see the value.” | 或许你知道该怎么做 |
[07:55] | “‘are you calling me a racist?’ wooden shot back.” | 你说我是个种族歧视者 伍登生气地回道 |
[07:57] | “Of course not,” she answered wisely. | “您大可不必对号入座” |
[07:59] | “‘if the shoe fits,” responded the secretary.'” | 她非常聪明的回答 |
[08:02] | Well. Wasn’t that clever of her? | 她真是聪明啊 |
[08:05] | donald morales Who is the spokesman | 住都部发言人唐诺马利斯 |
[08:08] | For the department of housing and urban development And who was wishing he hadn’t gotten out of bed that morning | 事实上希望他那天没有起床 |
[08:15] | ( audience chuckles ) | 他证实了这件事 这下就得告知总统这件事 |
[08:16] | Confirms what happened. | 他证实了这件事 |
[08:18] | Now, there’s the matter of telling the president. | 这下就得告知总统这件事 |
[08:20] | “If the shoe fits”?! | 对号入座? 大可不必对号入座? |
[08:21] | It’s a little bit worse, actually. | 事实上情况更糟 |
[08:23] | “When reporters confronted secretary o’leary | 当记者在公听会外走廊 |
[08:26] | “In the hallway outside the hearing room | 向奥赖瑞部长求证时,她说… |
[08:28] | She defen…” Oh, come on. | 噢,真是的 |
[08:29] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心 里奥 |
[08:30] | Leo. I’ll take care of it. | 我会处理这件事 |
[08:31] | Is she on her way here? | 我会处理这件事 |
[08:32] | She’ll be here in a half an hour. | 她现正赶过来? 她再半个小时就到了 |
[08:35] | Mr. President? | 总统先生? |
[08:36] | Yeah. Let’s go. | 好,我们走吧 |
[08:38] | “If the shoe fits.” | 对号入座? |
[08:40] | Is that the best she could do? | 她只能想出这句话来回应吗? 在她犯的众多过错之中 |
[08:41] | Of her many transgressions | 在她犯的众多过错之中 |
[08:42] | Mr. President, let’s not worry | 总统先生,我们无须担心 |
[08:44] | About she resorted to cliche. | 她用老套台词骂人 |
[08:46] | Ladies and gentlemen | 各位先生女士,美国总统 |
[08:47] | The president of the united states. | |
[08:49] | the president spoke briefly. | 总统发表简短谈话 |
[08:52] | The president has never spoken briefly in his life, but… | 总统这一辈子不曾说话简短 |
[08:55] | ( audience laughing ) | 但他还是说了话,签了法案 |
[08:57] | He spoke, he signed the bill, he gave away the pens. | 将笔交给别人 |
[09:00] | Then he took a few questions from the press. | 然后他接受媒体几个问题 |
[09:02] | Now, before I go on, it should be pointed out | 在继续说下去前,我应该指出 |
[09:05] | That according to every poll conducted in the universe | 根据世界上所有民调显示 |
[09:09] | The issue that concerns americans More than any other is education. | 美国人最关心的是教育问题 |
[09:13] | Now, the president had just signed off On $700 million in new money for education | 现在总统才刚签下 |
[09:18] | And announced a plan | 七百万教育经费 |
[09:19] | Of aggressive education initiatives. | 还公布了前瞻性的教改计划 |
[09:21] | What do you suppose the first question from the press was? | 各位认为媒体第一个问题是? |
[09:24] | Mr. President | 总统先生,你同意奥赖瑞部长 叫伍登议员为种族歧视者吗? |
[09:26] | Do you agree with secretary o’leary | 总统先生,你同意奥赖瑞部长 |
[09:27] | That congressman wooden is a racist? | 叫伍登议员为种族歧视者吗? |
[09:29] | And if not, do you plan on asking for her resignation? | 如不同意 是否会要求她离职? |
[09:31] | Let me say that I have great confidence in deborah o’leary. | 我对奥赖瑞部长有极高的信心 |
[09:34] | She’s done a terrific job at hud | 她在住都部任内表现优异 |
[09:36] | Helping thousands of people Make the very difficult transition | 帮助很多人从无业无家情况下 |
[09:40] | From joblessness and homelessness To more fulfilling and productive lives. | 转变成拥有更有意义生活 |
[09:44] | I’m sorry, Mr. President. | 对不起,总统先生 |
[09:45] | You didn’t answer the question. | 你并没有回答我的问题 |
[09:46] | I was hoping you wouldn’t notice that, danny. | 我还希望你没注意到,丹尼 |
[09:48] | I did, sir. | 我注意到了 |
[09:50] | Then I will tell you that I agree | 首先我同意共和党 |
[09:51] | That the republican party does not have a comprehensive program | 并没有完整计划 |
[09:55] | For combating poverty in this country. | 来对付这个国家贫穷的问题 |
[09:56] | That being said, there are countless republicans | 尽管如此,仍有许多共和党员 |
[09:59] | Who are working very hard to change | 非常努力的想改变其政党 |
[10:01] | Their party’s legacy on some of these issues | 在这一方面的政策 |
[10:03] | And I hope to be working with them to do just that. | 而我希望能和他们 一起在这方面合作 |
[10:05] | I’m sure that was an answer to some question, Mr. President. | 我相信那回答了部分问题 总统先生 |
[10:08] | It just wasn’t the answer to mine. | 但并没有回答我的问题 |
[10:09] | if only we’d stopped it right there. | 假如我们当时叫停就好了 |
[10:11] | If only we’d said, “Sorry, the president | 假如我们说,抱歉,总统先生 |
[10:14] | Can’t take any questions right now” | 现在无法回答任何问题 |
[10:16] | Or, uh, “We’ll cover this in the briefing” | 或是我们会在简报中说明 |
[10:19] | Or “The building is on fire” | 或是这栋大楼着火了 |
[10:21] | ( laughter ) | 但不知是何原因,我们稍后 才发现新闻秘书并不在现场 |
[10:22] | But for some reason, it took us all a moment to realize | |
[10:26] | That there was no press secretary in the room. | |
[10:29] | Frankly, I think she went too far in assigning motive | 老实说,我认为她这样说 |
[10:32] | To congressman wooden and the republican party. | 伍登议员及共和党 是有点过分 |
[10:34] | Will you be speaking to her? | 你会跟她谈这件事吗? |
[10:36] | She’ll be meeting with leo mcgarry. | 她会与里奥马加瑞见面 |
[10:37] | Will he ask her to apologize? | 他会要求她道歉吗? |
[10:39] | An apology’d be appropriate. | 道歉是应该的 |
[10:41] | Oh, leo. | 糟了,快把他弄下来 山姆 |
[10:42] | Sam. ( coughs ) | 糟了,快把他弄下来 山姆 |
[10:43] | Folks, all this is going to be covered | 各位,这些问题会在 |
[10:45] | In the 2:00 briefing. | 两点简报中回答 |
[10:46] | The president’s late for lunch | 总统先生与联合国大使 |
[10:47] | With the u.n. Ambassador. I’m sorry. | 午餐之约已晚了,对不起 |
[10:50] | Thank you, everyone. | 谢谢各位 |
[10:51] | Mr. President. | |
[10:52] | One more question. | |
[10:53] | That went pretty well. | 刚才还真是糟 我们会解决的 |
[10:55] | Sam. | 山姆 是 |
[10:56] | Yeah. | 山姆 是 |
[10:57] | The u.n. Ambassador is in portugal. | 联合国大使在葡萄牙 |
[10:59] | Okay. My bad. | 好,我的错 |
[11:02] | eight words. “The president’s not taking any questions right now.” | 八个字:总统无法回答问题 |
[11:06] | If we’d just stepped in 30 seconds sooner. ( beeping ) | 如果我们能早三十秒喊停 |
[11:10] | It’s me. | 是我的电话,对不起 |
[11:11] | I’m sorry. I, uh… | |
[11:12] | There’s a thing. | ‘我…有要紧事我必须必须 接这个电话,一下子就好了’ 我知道这很奇怪,但是… |
[11:13] | I have, I have to answer this now. | |
[11:16] | This’ll just, uh, take a second. | |
[11:18] | Uh… This is weird, I know, but, uh, anyway… | |
[11:23] | Uh, yeah. | |
[11:25] | Yeah, it’s me. | |
[11:25] | Are you there yet? | 是我 你们到了吗? |
[11:26] | Toby: we’re lost. | 是我 你们到了吗? |
[11:27] | You’re lost? | 我们迷路了 你们迷路 |
[11:28] | Sam: we’re not lost. | 我们没有迷路 |
[11:30] | Toby: you’re from connecticut. | 我们没有迷路 |
[11:31] | What exit do we want for wesley? | 你是康乃狄克州人要去 威斯里该从哪个交流道下? |
[11:32] | What? | 什么? 我们错过交流道 |
[11:33] | We missed the exit. | 什么? 我们错过交流道 |
[11:35] | We didn’t miss the exit. | 我们没有错过交流道 |
[11:36] | Toby, I’m kind of in the middle of something here. | 托比,我现在正在忙 |
[11:38] | Just tell me. | 只要告诉我… |
[11:39] | You bet, buddy. call me when you know something. | 没问题,等你有最新状况 再打给我 |
[11:44] | Sorry about that. | 对不起 |
[11:45] | Can you tell us what that was about? | 对不起 可以告诉我们 是怎么一回事吗? |
[11:47] | The trade deficit. | 贸易赤字问题 |
[11:49] | Where was i? If you’d only | 我刚才说到哪? |
[11:51] | Gotten there 30 seconds sooner. | 如果你们可以早三十分钟叫停 |
[11:53] | The day would have gone a lot differently. | 那这一天就会非常不一样 |
[11:55] | The president had said | 总统说奥赖瑞部长应该道歉 |
[11:57] | That secretary o’leary should apologize. The press wanted to know if she would be fired if she didn’t | 媒体想知道如果她不道歉 |
[12:02] | And we didn’t have an answer. | 是否会被要求辞职 而我们并不知如何回答 |
[12:04] | She was coming up to the white house for a showdown. | 白宫会要求她表态 |
[12:07] | This is what the day was about now | 这一天并不只有这样 |
[12:09] | And the day was about to get worse | 而是会更糟 |
[12:12] | Because i was about to step to the plate. | 因为我犯了错误 |
[12:22] | We’re going the wrong way. | 我们走错路了 |
[12:23] | No, we’re not. | 我们没有 |
[12:24] | We’re supposed to be going east. | 我们应该是向东走 |
[12:25] | We’re going east. | 我们是向东走 |
[12:26] | How do you know we’re going east? | 你怎么知道我们在向东走 |
[12:28] | The sun rises in the east. | 太阳从东边出来 |
[12:29] | It’s dark outside. | 外面是黑的 |
[12:31] | Also, that bright star in the northern sky is polaris. | 北边天空中那些 |
[12:33] | So what? | 闪亮的星星是北极星 |
[12:34] | I’m using celestial navigation. | 那又如何? 我利用星相来导航 |
[12:37] | Hey, galileo, get off at the next exit | 伽利略,在下个交流道出去 |
[12:39] | And turn the car around. | 然后往回走 |
[12:41] | Josh: secretary o’leary was told | 奥赖瑞部长被告知说 |
[12:42] | That leo mcgarry wanted to see her as soon as possible. | 里奥马加瑞希望能尽快见到她 |
[12:46] | There was no question that she was going to be angry | 毫无疑问她会因为总统 |
[12:49] | About the president publicly asking her to apologize | 公开要求她道歉而生气 |
[12:52] | But at the moment, that was leo’s problem. | 但这会儿是里奥的问题了 |
[12:54] | I can’t believe he did that, leo. | 我不敢相信他这么说,里奥 黛比 他怎么可以 |
[12:56] | How could he you’re pissed at us? | 你对我们生气? |
[12:58] | Publicly demand that I apologize | 他怎么可以在还未听到 我的说词之前 |
[13:00] | Without hearing my side of the story first? | 就公开要求我道歉 |
[13:02] | We blew the precedent. we’ll cop to that | 记者会进行不顺利 我们会解决 |
[13:03] | But I’ve got videotape of your side of the story. | 但是黛比 我们有你在公听会上的录影带 |
[13:05] | The man’s a racist. | 那个男人是个种族歧视者 |
[13:06] | Maybe so. “Maybe”? | 或许是 或许? |
[13:08] | He’s using his oversight authority to spit | 黛比 |
[13:09] | At poor people and minorities | 他利用他的职权来欺压贫穷 及少数民族 |
[13:10] | Which, in his mind, are the same thing. | 而在他心里这两者是一样的 听好 |
[13:12] | Look! | 他这么做是因为他可以 他这么做是因为他可以博得 |
[13:13] | He’s doing it because he can. | 他这么做是因为他可以 |
[13:15] | He’s doing it because he can score points | 他这么做是因为他可以博得 |
[13:17] | With his narrow-minded constituents. | 他那些心胸狭隘选民的心 |
[13:18] | His narrow-minded constituents | 他那些心胸狭隘选民 |
[13:20] | Are also our narrow-minded constituents. | 也是我们心胸狭隘的选民 |
[13:22] | Oh, for crying out loud! | 帮帮忙,里奥 |
[13:24] | When are you guys going to stop | 你们何时才会停止拼选举 |
[13:25] | Running for president?! | 当天使在傻瓜头上跳舞时 |
[13:26] | When angels stand on pinheads, debbie. | |
[13:28] | We need their votes on any number of issues | 黛比,我们在很多议题上 需要共和党的支持 |
[13:30] | Including, by the way, the budget | 包括住都部预算 |
[13:31] | For the department of housing and urban development. Attacking hud is code for attacking blacks. | 攻击住都部就是攻击黑人 |
[13:36] | Thanks– having been born yesterday on a turnip truck. | 谢谢你提醒 我不是昨天刚出生的菜鸟 |
[13:38] | Do you not think | 你难道不认为身为 |
[13:40] | It is my role as the highest-ranking african-american woman | 政府官阶最高的女性黑人 |
[13:42] | In government to point out…? | 这是我的责任去提醒… |
[13:43] | I think, debbie, your role, first and foremost | 我认为,黛比,你的首要任务 |
[13:48] | Is to serve the president– | 是帮助总统 |
[13:49] | A task today at which you failed spectacularly. | 而你今天却彻底地失败 |
[13:57] | Leo… | 里奥 |
[13:57] | You got to apologize. | 你必须道歉 |
[14:04] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[14:06] | Not to me, debbie. | 不是对我,黛比 |
[14:07] | Look, I called it like I saw it. | 听好 我这么骂他是因为他就是 |
[14:09] | Well, now you’re going to apologize. | 现在你得为此事道歉 |
[14:11] | I can’t. | 我没办法 |
[14:13] | You can. | 你可以 |
[14:14] | I won’t. | 我不会 |
[14:15] | you will. | 你会的 |
[14:21] | Is that an order? | 这是个命令吗? |
[14:22] | You’re doing great work, deb. | 你在工作上做得非常好,黛比 |
[14:25] | The president’s nuts about you Always has been. | 总统一向非常喜欢你 |
[14:28] | He’ll cry for three minutes after he fires your ass | 当他辞掉你时或许会 伤心个三分钟 |
[14:31] | And then he’ll say, “What’s next?” | 然后他就会忘记了 |
[14:37] | Leo, if I’ve got to go and ask wooden for forgiveness | 里奥 如果我现在去求伍登原谅 |
[14:42] | He’s going to lord it over me | 在我卸任之前 |
[14:44] | From now until the end of time. | 他都会在我面前逞威作福 |
[14:45] | It’s the cost of doing business. | 想做事就得承受代价 |
[14:52] | Done. | 好吧 |
[14:56] | Deb, he’s been trying to provoke you for months. | 黛比,伍登过去这几个月 一直挑衅你 |
[14:58] | When you give in to him, you surrender the high ground. | 当你无法招架时 你只好先躲到高地休战 |
[15:05] | How did it happen? | 到底是怎么发生的? |
[15:06] | You forgot what your grandfather taught you. | 你忘了你祖父教你的吗? |
[15:08] | What was that? | 什么? |
[15:09] | “Never argue with a drunk or a fool.” | 绝不跟一个酒鬼 或是笨蛋争吵 |
[15:12] | Is the president very angry with me? | 总统对我非常生气吗? |
[15:14] | Mostly he’s upset that you couldn’t come up | 他最不高兴的是为何你只想出 |
[15:17] | With anything better than “If the shoe fits.” | “对号入座”这句话而已 |
[15:21] | Good luck. | 祝好运 谢谢你 |
[15:23] | Thank you. | 祝好运 谢谢你 |
[15:24] | Josh: so, that should have been it, right? | 所以应该没事了,对吧? |
[15:26] | c.j. Cregg does the 2:00 briefing. | 茜洁葛瑞会主持两点钟简报 |
[15:29] | Tells them secretary o’leary has | 告诉媒体奥赖瑞部长会 |
[15:31] | An apology for congressman wooden | 向伍登议员道歉 |
[15:32] | All questions on the matter will be handled | 之后所有问题由奥赖瑞 |
[15:35] | By her spokesperson, donald morales | 发言人唐诺模里斯负责 |
[15:37] | And redirects their attention | 然后转移焦点到我们刚签下 |
[15:39] | To the 700 million bucks of yours That we just spent on teachers. | 七百万教育老师费用上 |
[15:44] | Who here has had emergency root canal? | 现场有谁做过牙齿根管手术? |
[15:47] | Josh: yeah? | |
[15:48] | ( muffled ): josh. | 是 乔西? |
[15:52] | What the hell happened? | 发生什么事了? |
[15:54] | I had root canal. | 我刚做了根管手术 |
[15:56] | What happened to your cheeks? | 你的脸怎么了? |
[15:57] | I had root canal. | 我刚做了根管手术 |
[16:00] | Why are you talking like that? | 那你为什么讲话这个样子 |
[16:02] | I had root canal! | 我刚做了根管手术 |
[16:03] | Yeah, I heard you | |
[16:04] | The first time. I was just amusing myself. | 好,我第一次就听懂了 我只是逗你玩的 |
[16:06] | I can suggest other things you can do with yourself. | 我可以建议你做些其他的事 |
[16:08] | Are you in pain? | 你很痛吗? |
[16:09] | I had root canal! | 我刚做了根管手术 |
[16:13] | You’re going to need to stop saying that | 你必须停止说那句话 因为你的样子真是太好笑 |
[16:15] | ’cause you just look and sound so ridiculous. | 我必须取消简报 |
[16:16] | I have to cancel the briefing. | |
[16:18] | You can’t cancel the briefing. | 你不能取消简报 你看看我的样子 |
[16:19] | Look at me! | 你可以的 |
[16:20] | You’ll be great. | 我不能做简报 |
[16:21] | I can’t do the briefing. | 为什么不? 我甚至无法说简报二字 |
[16:22] | Why not? | 为什么不? 我甚至无法说简报二字 |
[16:23] | I can’t even say “Briefing.” | 你不能取消简报,茜洁 |
[16:25] | You can’t cancel. | 你必须解决奥赖瑞事件 |
[16:26] | You got to wrap up o’leary and move him back | 然后将焦点转移至教育法案上 |
[16:27] | To the bill signing. joshua! | 乔西 |
[16:29] | I’m sorry. Did you just say my name? | 对不起,你刚才是在 叫我的名字吗? |
[16:31] | You really think I can do it? | 你真的认为我可以吗? |
[16:33] | Don’t be insane, c.j. | 别傻了,茜洁,我们不会让你 这个样子去做媒体简报 |
[16:34] | You’re not going to a briefing | 别傻了,茜洁,我们不会让你 |
[16:35] | Looking like bullwinkle. | 这个样子去做媒体简报 |
[16:37] | Oh, so, once again | 噢,所以你又是在寻我开心 |
[16:38] | You were just having a little fun. | 噢,所以你又是在寻我开心 |
[16:39] | Yeah. ha-ha-ha-ha. | 是 哈哈哈 |
[16:41] | When can you take the cotton out? | 你何时才能把棉花拿出来? |
[16:42] | Two hours. | 两个小时 |
[16:43] | I’ll have carol cancel the briefing. | 我会叫卡萝取消简报 |
[16:45] | No, we’re still doing it. | 不,简报还是要做 |
[16:46] | Me. who? | 谁来做? 我 不行 |
[16:47] | No way. | 我 不行 茜洁 你讲话容易有敌意 |
[16:48] | C.j…. you get hostile. | 茜洁 你讲话容易有敌意 |
[16:50] | I “Get hot stuff”? | 我容易有敌意? |
[16:53] | Hostile. Hostile. you get hostile! | 敌意,敌意,你容易有敌意 |
[16:56] | Don’t get hostile. | 我才不会呢 |
[16:57] | I don’t get randomly hostile. | 我才不随便生气 |
[16:59] | I get hostile when hostility is called for. | 我只有在别人激怒我时 我才有敌意 |
[17:01] | What’s sam doing? | 让山姆做 |
[17:02] | Sam went to foggy bottom. | 山姆去佛基波顿 |
[17:04] | What’s he doing in foggy bottom? | 他去佛基波顿干嘛? |
[17:06] | I’m sorry. I just wanted to see | 对不起,我只是想听你说 |
[17:07] | If I could make you say “Foggy bottom.” | 佛基波顿而己 |
[17:09] | Sam’s working with the speech writers. | 山姆正和人一起写演讲稿 托比? |
[17:11] | Toby? toby’s with leo and the president. | 托比和里奥及总统在一起 乔西 |
[17:13] | Josh… | 嘿,各位 |
[17:14] | Hey, there, cats and kittens | 我乔西赖曼要加入你们 |
[17:16] | This is josh lyman coming at you | 及你们两点钟的简报工作 |
[17:17] | With the 2:00 briefing. | 乔西,拜托,请非常小心 |
[17:18] | Josh, please, be very careful. Try very, very hard not to destroy us. | 请千万不要毁了我们 |
[17:23] | You shouldn’t say that, c.j. | 你不应该这么说的,茜洁 |
[17:25] | You got a great body. | 你的身材不错 |
[17:27] | Here we go. Whoo! | 开始吧 |
[17:28] | Woman: please take your seats. | |
[17:30] | we’ll start the briefing. | 各位请坐,简报要开始 |
[17:31] | Please take your seats. Josh. hey, danny. | 各位请坐 |
[17:34] | You’re not going to do this. | 乔西 嗨,丹尼 |
[17:35] | Do the briefing? | 你不会想这么做 你是说简报吗? |
[17:36] | You’re not going to do this. | 你不会想这么做 |
[17:38] | I talk to reporters all the time. | 丹尼,我常常跟记者们交谈 |
[17:40] | You really don’t want to do this. | 你真的不会想这么做 |
[17:41] | Let me tell you something, mi compadre. | 让我告诉你一些事,老友 |
[17:45] | You guys have been coddled. | 你们都被宠坏了 |
[17:48] | I’m not your girlfriend, I’m not your camp counselor | 我不是你的女友 我不是你营区辅导老师 |
[17:51] | And I’m not your sixth-grade teacher | 我也不是你六年级时 |
[17:53] | You had a crush on. | 偷偷喜欢的老师 |
[17:54] | I’m a graduate of harvard and yale | 我毕业于哈佛及耶鲁 |
[17:56] | And I believe that my powers of debate | 我相信我辩论的能力 |
[17:58] | Can rise to meet the socratic wonder | 能够让我面对你们这群 |
[18:01] | That is the white house press corps. | 追根究底的白宫记者 |
[18:06] | Okey-dokey. | 好吧 |
[18:08] | Josh: good afternoon, everybody. | 各位午安,请你们就坐 |
[18:10] | Would you take your seats? C.j. Had a dental emergency | 茜洁今天有个牙医急诊 |
[18:12] | So I’ll handle the briefing today. | 所以今天由我来做简报 |
[18:14] | I’d like to say a couple things in my own defense. | 我想先为我自己辩护一下 |
[18:17] | First of all, everything was fine. | 首先事情进行很顺利 |
[18:18] | I dispensed of the deborah o’leary matter | 我沉着轻松地解决了 |
[18:20] | With ease and poise. | 黛比奥赖瑞事件 |
[18:21] | I opened the room up to questions | 接着我让媒体发问 |
[18:23] | While imposing a discipline | 我还订下了规矩 |
[18:25] | I felt had been lacking in c.j.’s briefings. | 因为我认为茜洁平日的简报 欠缺良好秩序 |
[18:28] | I’m going to take one question apiece. | 我只接受一个人一个问题 乔西 |
[18:30] | Josh. mike. | 麦克 |
[18:31] | When was the last time | 总统上一次抽烟是什么时候? |
[18:32] | The president had a cigarette? | 麦克,你确定你要把你 |
[18:34] | Mike, you sure you want your one question to be that stupid? | 唯一机会问这个愚蠢问题 |
[18:39] | Woman: it’s not a stupid question, josh. | 这不是愚蠢问题,乔西 噢,我的天啊 |
[18:41] | Oh, my god. | 如果总统继续坚持反烟 |
[18:42] | If the president’s going to continue | |
[18:44] | To be so adamantly anti-tobacco, why is it unreasonable to ask | 问他是否继续抽烟是合理的 |
[18:47] | If he’s a smoker? | 总统多年前就已经停止吸烟了 |
[18:48] | The president quit smoking years ago. | 总统多年前就已经停止吸烟了 |
[18:50] | He bummed a cigarette from me | 他前两天才在空军一号上 |
[18:51] | On air force one two days ago. | 跟我借了一支烟 |
[18:54] | Oh, my god. | 我的天 |
[18:56] | Well, then, uh… Jonathan? | 好,强纳森 |
[19:00] | So, you’re not going to answer katie’s question? | 你是不准备回答凯蒂的问题? |
[19:03] | I’ll look into it. | |
[19:04] | Danny? | 我会去了解这个问题的,丹尼 |
[19:05] | Josh, economists worry that | 乔西,经济学家担心 |
[19:07] | A continuing drop in unemployment will create | 若失业率持续下滑 |
[19:09] | Increased pressure on wages, in effect, driving them up. | 则会增加薪资压力 事实上增加薪资支出 |
[19:12] | Is the president worried that this could lead | 总统先生是否会担心 |
[19:15] | To a resurgence of inflation? | 因此而造成通货膨胀 |
[19:16] | Let me emphasize the president is pleased | 我要强调总统非常满意 |
[19:19] | That unemployment has dropped another .5% as a result… | 失业率又降低百分之零点五 |
[19:22] | I’m sure we all join the president in his joy | 我相信我们和总统一样高兴 |
[19:25] | But I’m wondering if the president has a plan | 但我在想总统是否有计划 |
[19:27] | To fight the resulting inflation. | 来对抗所引发的通货膨胀问题 |
[19:28] | The president will do everything in his power to maintain | 总统会尽一切可能来持续这个 |
[19:31] | The robust economy that has created millions of new jobs | 创造上百万工作机会经济繁荣 |
[19:34] | Improved productivity and kept a lid on inflation. | 增加生产力以及 压制通货膨胀的压力 |
[19:37] | But he has no plan | 但他并没有特别针对 |
[19:38] | To address inflation specifically? | 通货膨胀提出计划 |
[19:40] | 24 ph.ds on the council of economic advisors, katie. | 财经幕僚里有二十四位博士 |
[19:44] | They have a plan to fight inflation. | 凯蒂,我想他们是有对付 通货膨胀的计划 |
[19:47] | Is the reason you won’t tell us about it that it’s a secret? | 你不告诉我们 是否因为这是秘密计划? |
[19:50] | Yeah, danny, we have a secret inflation plan. | 是的,丹尼 |
[19:52] | Reporters: josh! Josh! Oh, my god. | 我们有个秘密通货膨胀计划 |
[19:55] | Josh: I guess that’s pretty much | 我的天啊 |
[19:57] | When the wheels came off the wagon. | 我想这就是我出错的时候了 |
[19:59] | Josh, right here’s a good time to take our break. | 乔西,我们刚好可以在这中断 休息一下 |
[20:02] | Everybody, let’s stretch our legs for five minutes. | 各位,我们休息五分钟 |
[20:06] | Sign-up sheets for 202 are in the lobby. | 本课程的签到表在大厅 |
[20:09] | If you smoke, apparently, you can bum a cigarette | 如果你吸烟的话 |
[20:12] | On air force one. | 显然可以在空军一号上 借到一根烟 |
[20:14] | Let’s have a hand for our guest, joshua lyman. | 让我们鼓掌谢谢我们的来宾 乔西赖曼 |
[20:27] | You’re great. | 你很棒 |
[20:29] | Thanks. ( phone rings ) | 谢谢 |
[20:35] | Yeah? | 是 |
[20:36] | What’s going on? | 进行得如何? |
[20:38] | Sam feels we’re zeroing in on it. | 山姆觉得我们快接近了 |
[20:41] | You haven’t found it yet? | 你们还没找到吗? |
[20:42] | We’ve been navigating | 我们曾由北极星领航 |
[20:43] | By the north star, which turned out to be The delta shuttle from la guardia. | 没想到是来自拉瓜迪亚飞机 |
[20:47] | It’s a miracle we’re not in nantucket right now. | 我们现在没有迷路 到那塔基就很不错了 |
[20:50] | Toby, how hard can it be | 托比 |
[20:51] | To find the wesley police station? | 威斯里警察局有这么难找? |
[20:53] | I don’t know, josh | 我不知道,乔西 既然我们还在找 |
[20:54] | But while we’re looking, can you tell me more | 你可以多告诉我一点有关 |
[20:56] | About the president’s secret plan to fight inflation? | 总统的通货膨胀秘密计划吗? |
[20:58] | How long before you let up on me on that? | 还要多久才肯放过我这问题 |
[21:00] | Oh, it’s going to take a little while, I would think. | 我想还要好一阵子 |
[21:04] | Call me when you know something. There’s a store open up there. | 有任何消息打电话给我 |
[21:07] | I’m going to pull over And ask if they know where | 那边有商店,我要过去问他们 |
[21:09] | The police station is. | 是否知道威斯里警局在哪儿 |
[21:10] | Or you can just pull in there | 或者你可以就停在 |
[21:12] | at the police wesley police station and ask them. | 威斯里警局然后问他们 |
[21:14] | Hey! Look! | 嘿 是 |
[21:15] | Yeah, yeah. | 你看 对 |
[21:16] | We found it. | 我们找到了 快去解决此事,然后离开这里 |
[21:17] | Let’s get this done and get out of here. | 快去解决此事,然后离开这里 |
[21:29] | Good evening. good evening. | 晚安 晚安 |
[21:33] | My name is sam seaborn. | 我是山姆西希朋 |
[21:35] | I work for the president of the united states. | 我为美国总统做事 |
[21:37] | Is your watch commander around? | 你们当班的长官在吗? |
[21:39] | Is this a joke? | 你在开玩笑吗? |
[21:40] | No. | 不是 |
[21:42] | You walk in here, you tell me you work for the president? | 你就这样走进来告诉我 你为总统做事? |
[21:43] | Officer peter, we’re in a certain amount of trouble tonight | 彼特警官 我们今晚出了些麻烦 |
[21:45] | And the only thing I’ve got going for me | 而唯一让我安慰的是 |
[21:47] | Is that you’re in more trouble than we are. | 我知道你的麻烦比我更大 |
[21:49] | My name is sam seaborn, I work for the president. | 我叫山姆希朋,我为总统做事 |
[21:50] | And the sooner you reach the conclusion | 你越早了解我说是实话 |
[21:52] | That I’m telling you truth | 我们大家都会好过点 你何不去找你们当班长官来 |
[21:54] | The better off we’re all going to be. | 我们大家都会好过点 |
[21:55] | Why don’t you go get your watch commander. Let me tell you something. | 你何不去找你们当班长官来 |
[22:07] | If we had stayed on the merrit parkway | 我说如果我们没有驶离 马瑞公园大道 |
[22:09] | Instead of getting off on exit 29 | 而是在29号交流道下来 |
[22:10] | And going east to greenwich | 往东到格威齐 |
[22:12] | I don’t think we’d wind up in bridgeport so many times. | 我想我们不会绕回 大桥港这么多次 |
[22:16] | Shut up. | 闭嘴 |
[22:17] | I’m sergeant mcnamara. can I help you folks? | 闭嘴 我是麦克队长 有什么我可以帮忙的? |
[22:20] | Sergeant, I’m sam seaborn | 警官,我是山姆希朋 |
[22:21] | The deputy white house communications director. | 我是白宫新闻室副主任 |
[22:23] | That’s my boss, toby ziegler. | 那位是我长官,托比齐格 |
[22:25] | I’m not really in the mood for a joke right now. | 我现在并没有心情开玩笑 |
[22:27] | I know how you feel. | 我知道你的感觉 |
[22:29] | You have roberto mendoza locked up back there. Sir, please state your business here | 你才刚关了罗伯特孟道萨 |
[22:32] | Or I’m going to have to ask you to leave. | 先生,请说明来意 不然我要请你离开 |
[22:35] | My business is to tell you | 我要你打开牢门 |
[22:37] | To unlock the cell and give me mendoza. | 然后把孟道萨交给我 |
[22:38] | Sergeant… you come in here, 10:00 at night | 队长 |
[22:41] | You tell me you’re with the white house | 晚上十点钟你走进来 告诉我你为白宫工作 |
[22:43] | And I’m supposed to just… | 然后我就应该… |
[22:44] | Sergeant. | 队长 |
[22:49] | Sergeant, you’ve arrested a federal judge | 队长,你们刚逮捕了联邦法官 |
[22:52] | Who’s the president’s nominee for the u.s. Supreme court. | 他是总统提名的 |
[22:55] | ( phone ringing ) | 最高法院大法官候选人 |
[22:57] | You should get that. | |
[22:59] | That’s going to be the governor of connecticut. | 你该接那通电话 应该是康乃狄克州州长打来 |
[23:05] | Danny concanon had thrown me a knuckleball in the dirt | 丹尼康肯南丢个简单问题给我 |
[23:08] | Which then I had taken a big swing at | 而在我回答之后 |
[23:10] | And, just like that, the president had a secret plan | 就这样总统竟然就有了 |
[23:13] | To fight inflation. | 对付通货膨胀秘密计划 |
[23:15] | josh? josh? josh? | 乔西,乔西,乔西 |
[23:17] | When will the president unveil his secret plan? | 乔西,总统什么时候会透露 |
[23:19] | There is no secret plan. | 他的秘密通货膨胀计划 没有秘密通货膨胀计划 |
[23:21] | I was talking to danny, I was kidding. | 你说 我是在和丹尼说话 |
[23:24] | These are people’s jobs we’re talking about, josh. | 开玩笑的 |
[23:26] | You want to give us a straight answer? | 我们在谈有关人民的工作问题 乔西,你到底回不回答我们? |
[23:30] | I-i honestly can’t remember the question. | 我真的不记得问题是什么 |
[23:32] | Reporter: given the reduction in unemployment | 由于失业率降低,总统是否 |
[23:35] | Does the president have a plan to fight The ensuing inflation? | 有计划来对抗升高的通货膨胀 |
[23:39] | And if so, why is he keeping it a secret? | 如果他有 |
[23:50] | Oh, my god, josh! | 为什么要保持秘密 |
[23:51] | I mean, oh, my god. | 我的天啊,乔西 |
[23:52] | I can fix this. how? | 我是说,我的天啊 |
[23:53] | I can fix this. I don’t think you can. | 我可以解决的 如何解决? |
[23:55] | This would be a great time to feel | 我可以的 我不认为你可以 |
[23:57] | A little support from you, donna. | 唐娜,现在是大好时机 让我感受到你一点点的支持 |
[23:58] | You have my support, josh. | 我支持你,乔西 |
[24:00] | Do i? yes. | 真的? 是的 |
[24:01] | Good. That’s a start. | 真的? |
[24:02] | Tell me what you think I should do right now. | 是的 很好,那告诉我现在该怎么做 |
[24:04] | Come up with a secret plan to fight inflation. | 回到你的办公室 然后想办法弄出一套 秘密通货膨胀计划 |
[24:06] | that’s support?! | 你这叫支持我? 乔西 |
[24:07] | Joshua! | 乔西 |
[24:09] | Yeah, that’s the face I wanted to see right now. | 我现在最想见到的人出现了 |
[24:11] | What the hell happened in there?! C.j… | 刚刚到底发生什么事? |
[24:14] | ( muffled ): you completely impwoded! | 茜洁 |
[24:16] | What did I do? | 你全搞砸 有吗? |
[24:17] | You completely imploded. | 你全搞砸了 并非全都搞砸 |
[24:18] | I wouldn’t say completely. | 你全搞砸了 并非全都搞砸 |
[24:19] | You were vague. you were hostile. | 你说不清楚又有敌意 |
[24:21] | You were bewigerent. | |
[24:22] | Donna: belligerent. | 好战成性 |
[24:24] | You want to know what it’s going | 好战成性 |
[24:25] | To take for me to fix this? | 你知道我要费多大心力 才能摆平这件事吗? |
[24:27] | I’m going to fix this. no, you’re not. | 我会解决的 |
[24:29] | You are not ever allowed in my presswoom again. | 你不会,我再也不会 让你到我的媒体简报室了 |
[24:31] | Donna, call toby’s office and see if he was watching. | 唐娜,打电话到托比办公室 看他是刚才是否在看 |
[24:33] | Toby: Where the hell is he?! never mind. | 他跑那去了? |
[24:35] | Support me on this. | 算了,支持我 不 |
[24:37] | No. thanks. | 谢谢,托比 |
[24:38] | Have you fallen on your head? toby… Listen– | 你的脑袋掉了? 听着 |
[24:40] | Have you hit your head on something hard? | 你是不是跌倒 然后撞到很硬的东西 |
[24:42] | I feel really bad about this. | 我真的觉得很不好意思 真的吗? |
[24:43] | You do? yes. | 我真的觉得很不好意思 真的吗? |
[24:44] | Oh. Well, then I guess that’s all that really matters. | 是 好吧,那这样就算了吗 |
[24:47] | That was some very good television, josh | 嘿 刚刚演出真是精彩,乔西 |
[24:48] | And I think four network news directors | 我想今晚四大电视网新闻主任 |
[24:50] | Will bear me out on that tonight. | 会因此把我压得喘不过气 |
[24:52] | I really think this isn’t as bad | 我不认为事情有你想的那么糟 |
[24:53] | As you’re making it out to be. | |
[24:55] | A secret plan to fight inflation?! | 对抗通货膨胀的秘密计划? |
[24:57] | C.j., for a while, you’re going to have to write it down. | 茜洁,你这一阵子 |
[25:00] | We have a problem. | 可能需要用笔沟通 |
[25:02] | No kidding. | 我们有个问题 |
[25:03] | It’s not josh. | 还用说 |
[25:04] | Praise god. | 不是乔西 感谢上帝 |
[25:05] | Although, I got to say | 但我得说指责记者的问题愚蠢 |
[25:06] | Telling a reporter his question is stupid Is not like a page out of dale carnegie. | 并不能博得他们的尊敬或好感 |
[25:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[25:11] | What’s the problem? | 有什么问题? 你不会喜欢的 |
[25:12] | You’re not going to like it. | 相信我,只有当孟道萨闯祸时 |
[25:14] | The only thing that could make my day worse is if Roberto mendoza got involved. | 我今天才会更糟 |
[25:18] | Josh: roberto mendoza is the president’s nominee | 罗伯特孟道萨是总统提名 |
[25:20] | To fill crouch’s seat on the supreme court. | 以取代克罗区的最高法院法官 |
[25:23] | The president put toby ziegler in charge of his confirmation | 总统让托比齐格负责推动 孟道萨通过国会的确认 |
[25:27] | Which is a huge responsibility. | 那是个非常重大的工作 |
[25:29] | A failed confirmation for the court | 如果提名没获得国会批准 |
[25:32] | Is a body blow to a presidency. | 那对总统非常不利 |
[25:34] | Besides which, he’s a brilliant jurist | 此外他是个非常出色的法官 |
[25:36] | And we badly want him on the bench. | 我们希望他进入最高法院 |
[25:38] | The confirmation process is a tough needle to thread. | 国会批准的过程是非常的困难 |
[25:43] | You got to make a lot of friends | 你必须和很多人交朋友 |
[25:45] | And supreme court nominees don’t speak before their confirmation. | 而最高法院法官提名人 在国会批准前是不对外发言的 |
[25:49] | They let the white house speak for them. | 白宫会替他们说话 |
[25:51] | Something toby’s had a little bit of trouble | 但托比确有困难 |
[25:54] | Teaching roberto mendoza. | 教罗伯特孟道萨不说话 |
[25:55] | He said the president was wrong? He said the president was wrong | 他说总统是错的? |
[25:59] | To make secretary o’weary apolo… | 他说总统要求奥赖瑞部长道歉 |
[26:01] | What the hell is… | 是错的 |
[26:03] | C.j. Sam, tell him. | 到底出了什么事? 茜洁 |
[26:04] | He said the president was wrong | 山姆,告诉他 |
[26:05] | To make secretary o’leary apologize. | 他说总统要求奥赖瑞部长 对他道歉是错的 |
[26:07] | To who? | 对谁? 伍登 |
[26:08] | To wooden. | 对谁? 伍登 |
[26:10] | I’m saying whom did he say it to? | 我是说他对谁说的 |
[26:11] | chicago tribune. | 芝加哥论坛报 |
[26:12] | I thought he’s on vacation in nova scotia. | 我以为他在渡假 他是 |
[26:14] | He is. | 我以为他在新斯科西亚渡假 |
[26:15] | What, they called him in nova scotia? | 他是 |
[26:18] | Yeah. | 他们打电话去 新斯科西亚访问他吗? |
[26:19] | How the hell did they find him in nova scotia? | 是 他们怎么会在新斯科西亚 找得到他的 |
[26:21] | They have telephones in nova scotia, leo. | 新斯科西亚有电话,里奥 |
[26:24] | It’s not amish country. | 那并不是亚米许地区 |
[26:27] | I really think of all the people in this building, josh | 我真的认为在本栋大楼里的 所有人之中 |
[26:30] | You want to be the last person to speak right now. | 你应该是最后一个发言的 |
[26:32] | You bet. | 好 |
[26:37] | The president needs to be briefed | 我们必须要报告总统 |
[26:39] | On the events of the day. | 今天发生的事 |
[26:41] | C.j., so help me, if you use words the “President” | 茜洁,如果你需要用到总统 |
[26:43] | Or “Briefed” Again… | 或是简报这些字眼的话 |
[26:45] | The president lands in new orleans in an hour and half. | 好吧,总统将于 一个半小时后到达纽奥尔良 |
[26:47] | There’ll be no press at the labor conference. | 劳工大会里不会有媒体 |
[26:49] | When he’s done He’s getting right back on the plane | 会议结束时他会马上登机回家 |
[26:52] | And coming home. | 飞机凌晨三点到达 |
[26:54] | Wheels down at 3:00 a.m. he’ll be in residence by 3:30. | 他到家时间是三点半 |
[26:56] | Can I say something? | 我可以说件事吗? |
[27:00] | What? | 什么? |
[27:01] | A lot of this is our fault | 什么? |
[27:02] | And the president probably isn’t | 很多事情都是我们的错 |
[27:04] | Going to take this very well And we just want you to know | 总统听到后可能不会有好心情 |
[27:07] | That we will be there with in you spirit tomorrow morning. | 我们只是想让你知道明天早上 我们精神将与你同在 |
[27:11] | You’re going to be there with me in every way imaginable, josh. | 你不会只有精神与我同在 乔西 |
[27:15] | You bet. | 好 |
[27:16] | 7:00 a.m. | 明早七点 |
[27:17] | Josh: if you read the papers | |
[27:19] | you know that this is not the first time | 假如你有读报的话,你就知道 这不是第一次才发生 |
[27:21] | This had happened. | 自从总统提名他之后八个星期 孟道萨法官就经常公开批评 美国律师协会 劳工联盟、纽约州议会 |
[27:23] | In the eight weeks since the president named his nominee | |
[27:27] | Judge mendoza has on various occasions publicly criticized | |
[27:31] | The american bar association, the a.f.l.-c.i.o | |
[27:33] | And the new york state legislature– | |
[27:35] | Three organizations, without which | |
[27:37] | This president would not have been elected. | 若是没有这三个团体支持 |
[27:39] | Putting out the debra o’leary fire from earlier in the day | 总统无法选上 |
[27:42] | Had been then the only thing we’ve been successful at | 那天好不容易才解决了 |
[27:45] | And now judge mendoza had… | 奥赖瑞事件 |
[27:47] | ( phone ringing ) started up again. | 但是现在孟道萨法官… 电话又来了 |
[27:49] | I-I’m really very sorry, but I have to take this. | 我的很抱歉 |
[27:53] | Yeah. | 但我必须接这电话 |
[27:54] | Sam: josh. | 是 |
[27:55] | Yeah. | 是 乔西 是 |
[27:56] | We’re in. | 我们到了 他在那儿? |
[27:57] | Where is he? | 我们到了 他在那儿? |
[27:58] | Toby’s talking to him now. | 托比正在和他谈 |
[28:05] | Hello, Mr. Justice. | 哈��,法官先生 |
[28:09] | How are you? | 你好吗? |
[28:13] | Incarcerated, toby. | 我被关了,托比,你好吗? |
[28:15] | How are you? | |
[28:16] | Do you need anything, Mr. Ziegler? | 你还需要什么吗?齐格先生 |
[28:18] | No. | 不,法官和我要谈一谈 |
[28:19] | The judge and I are going to have a chat. | |
[28:29] | The hardest job in the white house | 在白宫里,总统的工作最难 |
[28:30] | Is the president. | |
[28:32] | The second hardest job is not chief of staff | 第二难的工作不是幕僚长 |
[28:35] | It’s not national security advisor | 不是国安顾问 |
[28:36] | And it’s not press secretary | 也不是新闻秘书 |
[28:38] | Although I’m gaining a certain amount of respect | 虽然现在我愈来愈佩服 |
[28:40] | For press secretaries. | 新闻秘书这个工作 |
[28:42] | The second hardest job in the white house | 白宫第二难的工作是由一个 |
[28:44] | Belongs to a 21-year-old kid named charlie young. | 名叫查理杨的21岁青年担任 |
[28:48] | He’s what’s called the president’s “Body man” | 他是我们所谓的“总统帖身” |
[28:50] | His personal aide. | 他的私人助理 |
[28:52] | He’s with the president morning to night. | 他从早到晚都跟随在总统身边 |
[28:54] | He has a range of responsibilities | 他的各项工作职责全都不简单 |
[28:56] | All of them difficult | |
[28:57] | But the one he hates most is this: | 但他最讨厌工作是 |
[29:00] | From time to time, it is his job To wake the president up in the morning | 有时候他必须叫总统起床 |
[29:04] | And on this particular morning | 而在当天早上 总统才刚只睡了三小时 |
[29:06] | The president had gone to sleep only three hours earlier. | 早安,白宫 第四线,请问要转接那里? |
[29:14] | Good morning, helen. it’s charlie. | 早安,海伦,我是查理 嗨,宝贝,在纽奥良好吗? 总统表现得很不错 |
[29:17] | The president did very well. | 你睡过了没? 从那天算起? 自昨天 |
[29:20] | Since when? | 很好,海伦 该是叫总统起床时候 |
[29:21] | Good one, helen. | 很好,海伦 |
[29:23] | It’s time for the president’s wake-up call. | 该是叫总统起床时候 |
[29:27] | ( phone ringing ) | 你真幸运,我帮你转 |
[29:39] | What? | 怎么了? |
[29:41] | Good morning, Mr. President. it’s charlie. | 早安,总统先生,我是查理 我希望… |
[29:43] | I hope… | 这么早你会有什么事? |
[29:44] | I mean, what could you possibly want right now? | |
[29:47] | Sir, it’s 6:30 a.m., and… | 总统现在是早上六点半而我… |
[29:49] | In the morning? | 早上吗? |
[29:50] | Yes, sir, and I wanted to remind you that… | 是的,我想提醒你… |
[29:53] | What in the name of everything holy | 我是说这么早你到底要干嘛? |
[29:56] | Could you want right now? | 我要提醒你七点钟 |
[29:58] | I wanted to remind you that you have a 7:00 a.m. Meeting | 在总统办公室和资深助理开会 |
[30:01] | At the oval office with senior staff | 接着国安情报会议 |
[30:03] | Followed by your security and intelligence briefings And a meeting with the chairman of the fed. | 还要跟联邦董事会主席见面 |
[30:07] | Would you like me to have the stewards | 你需要我请管家为你准备咖啡 |
[30:09] | Bring some coffee and the washington post? | 及华盛顿邮报吗? |
[30:10] | Who the hell is this? | 你到底是谁? |
[30:12] | Sir… | 先生 你到底想要什么? |
[30:14] | And what could you possibly want? | 你到底想要什么? |
[30:16] | Sir, I need you to dig in now. | 总统?你清醒一下 这不是一个恶梦 |
[30:20] | It wasn’t a nightmare. | 但你真的是总统 好吧 |
[30:21] | You really are the president. | 但你真的是总统 好吧 |
[30:23] | All right. | 我会请管家端咖啡到房间来 |
[30:24] | I’ll have the steward | 我会请管家端咖啡到房间来 |
[30:25] | Bring coffee to your room. | |
[30:26] | I’ll get up now. | 我会起床 |
[30:33] | Mendoza was summoned to the white house | 白宫把孟道萨从他的渡假地 新斯科西亚召见回来 |
[30:35] | From his vacation in nova scotia. | 当总统召见一个人时你通常会 |
[30:36] | When you summon someone to the white house | 预期在几小时内见到人 |
[30:39] | You generally expect to see them within the hour. | 孟道萨法官告诉我们 |
[30:42] | Judge mendoza told us that he would see us in three days. | 他三天后才会到 为什么要三天? |
[30:44] | Why three days? | 因为他要开车来华府 |
[30:46] | Because he was driving down to d.c. Stopping in connecticut to do some antiquing. | 经过康乃狄克州去看古董 |
[30:51] | Yet another thing we’d have to tell the president | 我们也必须告诉总统此事 |
[30:53] | Who, by the way, had still not woken up. | 而他还没有醒 |
[30:55] | Charlie… | 查理 不会吧 |
[30:56] | Oh, come on. | 不会吧 |
[30:58] | I’ve been knocking every few minutes or so | 我每隔几分钟就敲门 |
[30:59] | And I don’t hear the shower running, either. | 而我没听见洗澡的声音 |
[31:01] | Thanks, billy. give me a minute, would you? | 谢谢,比利 |
[31:03] | You bet. | 给我一分钟,好吗? 没问题 |
[31:20] | Mr. President? | 总统先生? |
[31:24] | Mr. President. | 总统先生? |
[31:27] | Mr. President. | 总统先生? |
[31:29] | Charlie, are you aware | 查理,你知道你现在 |
[31:31] | You’re committing a federal crime right now? | 已经犯了联邦罪了吗? |
[31:34] | I’ll take my chances with the feds, Mr. President. | 我自己会小心的,总统先生 现在七点钟了 |
[31:36] | It’s 7:00. | 你怎么知道当你进来时 |
[31:37] | How did you know the first lady Wasn’t going to be naked when you came in here? | 第一夫人有穿衣服呢? |
[31:41] | Come to think of it, where the hell is my wife? | 现在想想,我老婆去哪儿了? |
[31:42] | Argentina. | 阿根廷 对哦 |
[31:46] | That’s right. | 资深助理都在办公室等你 |
[31:47] | Senior staff in the oval office, sir | 资深助理都在办公室等你 |
[31:49] | So I’m going to stand here | 我会站在这里 |
[31:51] | Till you get out of bed Take a shower and get dressed. | 等你起床洗澡着衣 |
[31:54] | All right. | 好 |
[32:03] | ( sighing ) | 你睡了没? 没有 |
[32:04] | Have you slept yet? | 你睡了没? 没有 |
[32:05] | No, sir. | 很好 |
[32:07] | Good. | 很好 |
[32:23] | How’s your mouth? | 你嘴巴好一点了吗? |
[32:26] | Well… | |
[32:28] | The swelling’s gone down. | 已经不肿了 |
[32:31] | On the other hand, the painkillers have worn off. | 但是止痛药也快失效了 |
[32:34] | He’s driving from nova scotia to washington. | 他从新斯科西亚开车到华府? |
[32:38] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[32:39] | How’s a person do that? | 哪有人这样开的? |
[32:41] | My guess is, he’ll take the trans-canada highway to new brunswick | 我猜他是由加拿大横贯公路 到新博斯威克 |
[32:44] | Then maybe catch the one and take the scenic route | 然后沿着缅因州海岸 的一号公路往南 |
[32:46] | Along the coast to maine. | 从九十五号公路开到 新罕布什尔州麦斯派克 |
[32:48] | 95 through new hampshire to the mass pike | 从九十五号公路开到 新罕布什尔州麦斯派克 |
[32:50] | And then cut over | 然后再从米尔佛 |
[32:51] | To the merrit parkway around milford. | 转到附近的玛特公园大道 |
[32:54] | Something really kind of freakish | 你这个人很奇怪,你知道吗? |
[32:56] | About you, you know that? | |
[32:57] | Yeah. | 我现在很累,脾气不好 老婆又在阿根廷 |
[32:59] | I’m tired, I’m cranky, and my wife’s in argentina. | 我们快点结束 |
[33:02] | Let’s get this over with. | |
[33:20] | What? | 什么事? |
[33:21] | Mr. President | 总统先生,我们遇上了一些 公共关系的… |
[33:22] | We experienced a few public relations… | 总统先生,我们遇上了一些 公共关系的… |
[33:26] | What’s the word? | 这怎么说呢 |
[33:27] | Catastrophes. | 灾难 |
[33:28] | Incidents, in the few hours you were away last night. | 你昨晚不在的那几个小时期间 所发生的意外 |
[33:31] | What kind of incidents? | 什么样的意外? |
[33:35] | Josh? | 乔西? |
[33:37] | Yeah. Uh… | 是,首先,我很高兴告诉你 |
[33:40] | First, I’m happy to tell you that the incident | 奥赖瑞部长及伍登议员的事 |
[33:42] | Involving secretary o’leary and congressman wooden Has been dispensed with… | 已经摆平了 |
[33:47] | Though, not really, and I’ll get to that at the end. | 虽然好像还没风平浪静 最后我会解决的 |
[33:50] | Sam asked c.j. | 山姆要求茜洁把简报改到两点 |
[33:52] | To move the briefing to 2:00 | |
[33:53] | So that we could fold in the teachers. | 所以可以把焦点集中在 教师法案上 |
[33:56] | C.j. Had emergency | 茜洁中午动了紧急根管手术 |
[33:57] | Root canal surgery at noon and so was unable to brief. | 所以无法简报 |
[34:00] | Who did? | 谁去做简报? |
[34:02] | I did. | 我 |
[34:03] | Oh, god. | 我的天啊 |
[34:05] | Yeah. Uh, long story short– | 长话短说,你今天会看到 一些新闻 |
[34:07] | You’re going to be reading a bit today | 有关你对抗通货膨胀的 |
[34:09] | About your secret plan to fight inflation. | 秘密计划 |
[34:11] | I have a secret plan to fight inflation? | 我有对抗通货膨胀的 秘密计划? |
[34:14] | No. | 不 |
[34:15] | Why am I going to be reading that I do? | 为什么媒体会报导这样的事 |
[34:17] | It was suggested in the pressroom that you did. | 昨天在媒体室里有人这样暗示 |
[34:21] | By who? | 是谁? |
[34:22] | By me. | 我 |
[34:23] | You told the press | 你告诉媒体我有对抗 |
[34:25] | I have a secret plan to fight inflation? | 通货膨胀的秘密计划? |
[34:27] | No, I did not. | 不是,我没有,让我说清楚 |
[34:28] | Let me be absolutely clear, I did not do that. Except, yes, I did that. | 我没有这么做,好吧,我有 |
[34:33] | Josh, I’m a little confused. | 乔西,我不大懂 |
[34:35] | Sir, there was this idiotic round robin. | 当时很奇怪,我是说反话 |
[34:38] | It was sarcastic. | 他们不可能听不出来 |
[34:39] | There’s no way they didn’t know that. | 他们只是不高兴我对他们严厉 |
[34:42] | They were just mad at me for imposing discipline And calling them stupid. | 并称他们愚蠢 |
[34:45] | Okay, before we go on | 好,在我说之前,茜洁记住 |
[34:47] | C.j., if blood is gushing | 就算你被一群乱窜的野牛 |
[34:50] | From the head wound you just received | 撞到头破血流 |
[34:53] | From a stampeding herd of bison, you’ll do the press briefing. | 也要由你来做简报 |
[34:56] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[34:57] | Josh: Mr. President… | 总统先生… |
[34:59] | A secret plan to fight inflation? | 对抗通货膨胀的秘密计划? |
[35:01] | There was no turning them back. | 他们全不听我的 我花了半个小时否认这件事 |
[35:03] | I denied it. they wouldn’t take no. | 他们就是不信 你说清楚了吗? |
[35:04] | Were you clear? | 非常清楚,他们说 |
[35:05] | I was crystal clear. They said, “Do you think | 你认为总统应该把他 |
[35:08] | “If the president has a plan to fight inflation | 对抗通货膨胀的计划保密吗? |
[35:10] | It’s right that he keep it a secret?” | 我说当然不 |
[35:12] | I said, “Of course not.” | |
[35:13] | Are you telling me | 你是说你不只凭空捏造出 |
[35:15] | That not only did you invent a secret plan to fight inflation | 通货膨胀的秘密计划 |
[35:18] | But now you don’t support it? | 现在你还不支持这个计划 |
[35:23] | When you put it like that… | 总统先生,你这么说… |
[35:25] | Mr. President… | 虽然我们很乐意看你骂乔西 但是我们还有其他更大的事 |
[35:26] | Much as we’d love Nothing more than to stand here and watch you | 虽然我们很乐意看你骂乔西 |
[35:30] | Beat the living crap out of josh There’s actually a bigger fish to fry. | 但是我们还有其他更大的事 |
[35:34] | What did mendoza do? | 孟道萨做了什么? |
[35:38] | He told the chicago tribune | 他告诉芝加哥论坛报你指责 |
[35:39] | That you were wrong to admonish debbie o’leary | 奥赖瑞并要她道歉是错的 |
[35:41] | And make her apologize. | 我没有,是他说的 你叫我这么做 |
[35:43] | I didn’t. He did. | 我没有,是他说的 你叫我这么做 |
[35:44] | You told me to. | 你说你会解决这事 |
[35:45] | You said you’d fix it. | 你说你会解决这事 |
[35:46] | I did fix it. | 我是解决了 里奥现在又毁了 |
[35:47] | Well, it’s broken again, leo. | 总统,事实上,那是因为 |
[35:48] | Frankly, sir that’s ’cause your nominee For the supreme court’s handling himself | 你的最高法院提名人 |
[35:51] | In a manner that’s totally unprofessional. | 实在是完全不专业 |
[35:53] | We will have the first of what I think | 我们会另外找一个时间 |
[35:55] | Will be a series of discussion | 对于专业问题做一系列讨论 |
[35:57] | About professionalism another time, toby. | 托比,孟道萨在那里? |
[35:59] | Where is mendoza? He’s on his way, sir. | 他现在正赶过来 |
[36:02] | Right now? | 现在 |
[36:03] | But he won’t be here until day after tomorrow. | 是的,但他要到后天才会到 |
[36:05] | Day after tomorrow? yes, sir. | 后天? 是的 |
[36:06] | Is he coming in from neptune? | 他是从海王星来吗? |
[36:09] | He’s vacationing with his wife and son | 他正带着太太及小孩在渡假 |
[36:10] | And they’d prefer to take a leisurely drive | 而他们希望能悠闲地开车经过 |
[36:12] | Through eastern canada and new england | 加拿大东部及新英格兰 |
[36:14] | While stopping for antique shopping in connecticut. | 然后到康乃狄克州买些古董 |
[36:18] | I imagine he’ll take | 我猜他会走加拿横贯公路 |
[36:19] | The trans-canada highway to 95… | 然后… |
[36:21] | Sam. | 山姆 |
[36:22] | Okay, we will wait for mendoza. | 我们会等孟道萨 |
[36:25] | In the meantime, c.j., you will untangle the press corps. | 同时茜洁 你负责解决媒体的问题 |
[36:28] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[36:30] | And we will hope that nothing happens today | 然后我们期望不再发生任何事 |
[36:32] | To make this any worse. | 让今天变得更糟糕 |
[36:34] | Although I certainly wouldn’t bet the house on it. | 不过这种事实在很难说 |
[36:37] | That is all. | 就这样了 |
[36:38] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢,总统先生 |
[36:48] | Sir, I want to tell you that I’m sorry | 我只是想告诉你我很抱歉 |
[36:50] | And that this mess will be cleaned up | 这一切都会以 |
[36:52] | In an adult and professional manner. | 成熟专业的手法解决 |
[36:54] | Good. | 很好 |
[36:57] | If anyone asks you, you quit smoking years ago | 如果有任何人问你 你一年前就已经戒烟了 |
[37:00] | And the cigarette you bummed on air force one | 你在空军一号上要到的烟 |
[37:02] | Was for a friend. | 是给朋友的 |
[37:04] | Get out. | 快滚 是 |
[37:05] | You bet. | 就这样了 |
[37:06] | and that was it. | 就这样了 |
[37:07] | What happened to judge mendoza? | 孟道萨法官现在怎样了? |
[37:09] | I’m sorry? | 对不起? |
[37:10] | Did he ever get here from nova scotia? | 他到底有没有从 新斯科西亚到这? |
[37:12] | Actually, he’s on his way right now. | 事实上他现正在途中 |
[37:14] | He’s spending the night in connecticut | 他今晚停在康乃狄克州 |
[37:16] | To do some antiquing. | 买些古董 |
[37:18] | He’s been in there a little while now. | 他进去好一会了 |
[37:21] | Yeah. | 是 |
[37:25] | I’m the one that pulled him over, you know. | 你知道是我把他拦下来的 |
[37:27] | His driving was erratic. | 他车开得好奇怪 |
[37:29] | I’m still not entirely convinced he hadn’t been drinking. | 我还是不相信他并没有喝酒 |
[37:32] | Well, you have a problem there. | 这就是你的问题了 |
[37:34] | What’s that? | 为什么? |
[37:36] | Judge mendoza has chronic persistent hepatitis | 孟道萨法官患有长期肝炎 |
[37:38] | Which is a non-progressive form of liver inflammation. | 是一种慢性肝发炎 |
[37:40] | If he’d had enough to drink | 如果他喝了足以使酒精测试 |
[37:42] | To blow a .1 on the blood alcohol | 指标升高零点一的酒 |
[37:43] | He’d be dead right now. | 他现在早就死了 |
[37:44] | ( slurping ) | |
[37:46] | It’s good coffee. | 这咖啡真不错 |
[37:51] | Why didn’t you take the breathalyzer? | 你为什么不做酒精测试? |
[37:53] | Because I was driving within the speed limit. | 因为我并没有超速 |
[37:56] | I was driving on the right side of the road. | 也没有开错车道 |
[37:58] | I have valid tags and registration | 我有合格车牌及驾照 |
[38:00] | And as far as I know, I don’t have any warrants | 至少就我所知我并没有 |
[38:02] | For my arrest in connecticut. | 在康乃狄克州被通缉 |
[38:03] | Judge? | 法官 |
[38:05] | Absent. | 没有正当理由,托比 |
[38:05] | Just cause, toby. | 酒精测试是不合法的搜索 |
[38:07] | Breathalyzer’s an illegal search and a civil rights violation. | 违反了公民权益 |
[38:11] | So you gave barney fife a hard time to make a point. | 所以你就故意为难巴尼警官 来证明你是对的 |
[38:15] | A point worth making. | 这一点值得证明 不是现在 |
[38:16] | Not now. | 是现在,就是现在 |
[38:17] | Yes, now. Right now. | |
[38:18] | One phone call, judge. | 只要一通电话,法官 |
[38:19] | Toby, this has happened. | 托比,是这样,麻烦你 |
[38:21] | Tell them, “My name’s roberto mendoza | 告诉他们我是罗伯特孟道萨 |
[38:23] | And the president’s named me to the bench.” | 总统已经提名我为 最高法院大法官 |
[38:25] | They pulled me over | 他们把我拦下来就因为 |
[38:27] | Because I look like my name is roberto mendoza | 我看起来是西裔人士 |
[38:30] | And I’m coming to rob your house. | 而我是要去抢劫你家的 |
[38:37] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 去那里? |
[38:38] | Where are we going? | 回家,我们回家 |
[38:40] | Home. Let’s go home. | 回家,我们回家 |
[38:41] | I’m not going anywhere. | 我哪儿也不去 |
[38:43] | Judge? | 法官 托比,我现在被逮捕了 已经不是了,我们走 |
[38:44] | I’m under arrest, toby. | 托比,我现在被逮捕了 已经不是了,我们走 |
[38:46] | Not anymore. Let’s go. | 托比,我知道你很行 但不用为了我 |
[38:47] | You pull all the strings | 托比,我知道你很行 |
[38:49] | You want, toby But not for me. | 但不用为了我 |
[38:51] | Come monday, I’m going to avail myself | 星期一再来 |
[38:54] | Of the criminal justice system | 我会利用我一辈子努力改善 |
[38:57] | For which I have worked my entire adult life. | 的司法系统来保我出去 |
[38:59] | Judge, due respect, get your things and let’s go. | 法官,请自重,拿着你的东西 我们走 |
[39:02] | My kid was in that car. | 我的孩子在车子里,托比 |
[39:05] | They patted me down | 他们在我九岁孩子面前 |
[39:07] | And they handcuffed me In front of my nine-year-old boy. | 给我搜身拷上手拷 |
[39:11] | Then he and his mother got to see them put me | 然后他和他母亲看着我 |
[39:14] | In a squad car and drive away. | 被押进警车开走 |
[39:19] | He’s also seen you wearing a robe With a gavel in your hand. | 他也看过你做法官的样子 |
[39:23] | He does not understand that. He doesn’t know what that is. | 他不懂的,他不懂那是什么 |
[39:28] | He understands what the police are | 但他懂警察是做什么的 |
[39:30] | Because he watches television. | 他看电视 |
[39:32] | That’s what he’s going to remember– | 他只会记住,他的父亲被拷住 |
[39:34] | His father being handcuffed. | |
[39:37] | So america just got | 所以美国又多了一个 |
[39:39] | Another pissed-off guy with dark skin. | 不爽的少数民族 |
[39:46] | Robbie and laura, where are they right now? | 你太太和小孩现在在哪里? |
[39:49] | Motel, a few miles. | 他们在几公哩外的旅馆 |
[39:52] | There’s nothing about this that doesn’t stink. | 我知道这事不对 |
[39:55] | If it were me, I’d want to extract vengeance | 如果是我,我也会想要报复 |
[39:59] | And I’d say, “Let justice be done.” | 然后让正义得以伸张 |
[40:01] | I’d also want to spend some time in a dark room alone | 我也想要一个人 |
[40:06] | So that I didn’t have to face my wife and my son | 在黑暗房间里独处 |
[40:11] | And have them see my humiliation. | 所以我不用在家人看见 我狼狈样子之后,面对他们 |
[40:18] | Rob, I can’t get this done if this is the story. | 罗伯,如果媒体知道 |
[40:21] | Can’t get it done. | 这件事就不行了 |
[40:26] | Nothing about this that doesn’t stink. | 我知道这种事差劲透顶 |
[40:28] | Nothing about it that wouldn’t be better | 但是若你不是最高法院法官 |
[40:31] | If you were a supreme court justice. | 这一切就不会改善 |
[40:36] | Let me take you to the motel. | 让我带你去旅馆见你的小孩 |
[40:38] | Go see your boy. So, can I ask | 我可以问你… |
[40:50] | A guy in your job: | 像你的工作 |
[40:52] | Do you know missile codes and that sort of thing? | 你知道像是飞弹密码等事吗? |
[40:57] | Yeah. | 知道 |
[40:58] | Outstanding. | 太棒了 |
[41:04] | Good evening, Mr. Justice. | 晚安,法官大人 |
[41:06] | Good evening, sam. | 晚安,山姆 |
[41:08] | He’s got personal items? | 他的私人物品呢? |
[41:10] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[41:18] | It’s your lucky night, officers. | 警官,你今晚运气很好 |
[41:21] | There isn’t going to be a report. | 这将不会有报告 |
[41:22] | There isn’t going to be an investigation. | 也不会有调查 |
[41:24] | No one’s getting suspended. | 不会有人被停职 |
[41:25] | And no one’s filing | 也不会有人控告贵郡 |
[41:27] | A hundred-million-dollar lawsuit against the county | 要求百万美元赔偿 |
[41:29] | That they would almost surely win. | 而这起官司势必会赢 |
[41:31] | But in this room, you’re going to apologize to Mr. Mendoza. | 但是在这里 |
[41:34] | And then you’re going to get in your squad car | 你必须向孟道萨法官道歉 然后你会开着你的警车 |
[41:36] | You’re going to follow us | 跟我们去向他们儿子道歉 |
[41:38] | And you’re to apologize to his son. | |
[41:41] | Judge mendoza… | 孟道萨法官,我们真的 |
[41:45] | We sincerely apologize for our mistake. | 对此一失误感到抱歉 |
[41:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 我们走吧 |
[41:55] | I also got to say you guys could do a better job | 我还要说你们应该把交流道 |
[41:58] | Of marking the exits on the throughway. | 出口标示得更清楚些 |
[42:00] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[42:02] | We’ll be behind you. | 我们马上来 |
[42:11] | You know, toby, if there’s no reason | 托比,假如你们不急着 |
[42:13] | For you guys to go back to washington. | 赶回华府 |
[42:15] | You should spend the night here. | 你们今晚应该留在这里 |
[42:16] | What’s up here? | 这里有什么? |
[42:17] | Great antiquing. | 很棒的古董 |
[42:20] | Killing me, judge. | 法官,我真是服了你 |
[42:21] | You’re absolutely killing me. | 真的服了你 |
[42:24] | Josh. | 乔西 是 |
[42:26] | It’s over. | 没事了 |
[42:27] | Yeah. | 好 |
[42:28] | Good. | 好 |
[42:31] | ( sighing ) | |
[42:33] | That’s the last time the phone will ring. | 我保证这是最后一次电话响 |
[42:36] | I promise. | |
[42:39] | Josh… | 乔西 |
[42:41] | There’s a part of the story I didn’t tell you. | 有一部分故事我并没有说 |
[42:44] | ( laughs ) | 没办法告诉各位 |
[42:45] | I can’t. | |
[42:47] | Trust me, it doesn’t involve… | 相信我这并不是有关于… |
[42:49] | I-i just can’t right now. | 我现在就是不能说 |
[42:51] | Ask me back again After the senate confirms mendoza. | 当国会通过孟道萨的任用案时 |
[42:54] | You really should hear it. | 你们再问我,我会告诉你们 |
[42:55] | It’s a good story. | 这个精采故事 |
[42:57] | why don’t we take some questions. | 我们现在接受发问好吗? |
[42:58] | yeah. | 好 |