时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | – I don’t know these people. – You will. | -我不认识这些人 -你会认识的 |
[00:09] | – Which one is Toby? – I am. | -谁是托比? -我就是 |
[00:11] | – Which one are you? – I’m Josh. | -你是谁? -我是乔西 |
[00:13] | – My name is Charlie Young. – Donna Moss. You? | -我是查理杨 -唐娜摩斯,你呢? |
[00:15] | I’m just guessing. I’m pretty drunk. | 我只是在猜测,我喝得很醉了 |
[00:17] | Which one is Josh? | 谁是乔西? |
[00:19] | – C.J. Cregg. – Toby Ziegler, C.J. Cregg, Sam Seaborn. | -茜洁葛瑞 -托比齐格,茜洁葛瑞,山姆希朋 |
[00:22] | – Yeah. – You gotta be impressed… | -对 -你一定很讶异 |
[00:24] | …I got those names right. | 我没记错他们的名字 在这个白宫 |
[00:28] | – Sam. – Mark. | -山姆 -马克 |
[00:29] | – You done? – Yeah. | -你弄好了吗? -是的 |
[00:32] | – It’s not gonna be Wengland. – What happened? | -不会是温格兰 -发生了什么事? |
[00:35] | – He’s stuck in Denver. – I wanted Wengland. | -他被困在丹佛 -我要温格兰 |
[00:37] | – Did you get Stackhouse? – Couldn’t get him or Santana, Monroe… | -你联络了史塔克豪司吗? -联络不上他或蒙塔拿,孟罗 |
[00:41] | – Who’d you get? – A woman named Ainsley Hayes. | -你找了谁来? -一位名叫艾金丝莉海耶斯的女孩 |
[00:44] | – Aimsley? – Ainsley, with an N. | -艾姆丝莉? -艾金丝莉,是金 |
[00:45] | – I don’t know her. – A new producer brought her in. | -我不认识她 -一位新制作人介绍她来 |
[00:48] | – Tell me she’s not… – She is. | -告诉我她不是 -她是的 |
[00:50] | – I thought that was over. – No, it’s not. | -我还以为那结束了 -还没有 |
[00:52] | She’s got blond hair, long legs, she’s a Republican, so she’s… | 她有一头金发,修长的腿 她是共和党,所以她 |
[00:55] | She’s in show business. A young, blond, leggy Republican. | 她是演艺明星 腿修长的年轻金发共和党员 |
[00:59] | – I thought they didn’t know anything. – They don’t. | -我还以为她们什么都不知道 -她们是不知道 |
[01:01] | – Sam. – Yeah. | -山姆 -是的 |
[01:06] | – Ainsley? – Yes. | -艾金丝莉? -是的 |
[01:07] | – Mark Gottfried. – Ainsley Hayes. | -马克葛特菲德 -艾金丝莉海耶斯 |
[01:09] | We’ll be starting here in about a minute. | 我们再过一分钟 就要开始 |
[01:11] | – I understand you’ve never done TV. – No, not as such. No. | -我知道你没上过电视 -对,我没有上过这种电视 |
[01:15] | – “Not as such”? What does that mean? – It means, no, I haven’t done TV. | -“没上过这种电视”?是什么意思? -意思是我没有上过电视 |
[01:19] | – Can I give you a little friendly advice? – Yes, I would appreciate it. | -我能给你一点友善的建议吗? -好的,谢谢你 |
[01:23] | – Don’t overreach. – Don’t overreach? | -别太过火了 -别太过火了? |
[01:25] | Don’t try to do too much, don’t try to know more than you do. | 别表演的太夸张 不懂的事还装懂 |
[01:29] | My show is not the place for you to become a star. | 我的节目 不想把你变成明星 |
[01:32] | You’ll be opposite Sam Seaborn. He wouldn’t keep coming… | 你得跟山姆希朋对辩 如果他没办法 |
[01:35] | …if he didn’t wipe the floor with everyone. | 横扫千军 他不会老是跑来上节目 |
[01:37] | – I’ve seen him. – Don’t be scared. | -我看过他 -别害怕 |
[01:39] | – I’ll try. – I’ll step in, take punches for you… | -我会努力的 -我会帮你挡子弹 |
[01:42] | …if it gets out of hand, but if you don’t go far from the points, you’ll be fine. | 如果情况失控了 只要你不离题,应该会没问题 |
[01:47] | Thirty seconds. | 三十秒 |
[01:48] | – We start with the education package? – Yeah. | -从教育议题开始? -好的 |
[01:51] | – You owe me 20 bucks on the Skins. – In the Green Room, man. | -红人队的比赛你还输我二十块 -在绿室里,朋友 |
[01:54] | – I’m Sam Seaborn. – Ainsley Hayes. | -我是山姆希朋 -艾金丝莉海耶斯 |
[01:56] | – Twenty seconds. – You bet with George on the Skins? | -二十秒 -你跟乔治赌红人队会赢? |
[01:59] | – Over/under. – How’s Josh? | -我们赌上下盘 -乔西还好吧? |
[02:01] | – He’s good. – Ten seconds. | -他很好 -十秒 |
[02:02] | – Here we go. Remember what I said. – Yeah. | -要开始了,记住我说过的话 -是的 |
[02:06] | In five, four, three…. | 五,四,三 |
[02:12] | Capital Beat, with Mark Gottfried. | 首都节奏,主持人马克葛特菲德 |
[02:14] | Tonight, from the right, Republican political analyst Ainsley Hayes. | 今晚在右手边是共和党 政治分析师艾金丝莉海耶斯 |
[02:18] | And from the left, White House senior advisor Sam Seaborn. | 左手边是白宫资深顾问 山姆希朋 |
[02:21] | With Chris Eisen at the Pentagon and Marjorie Clark in New York. | 还有在五角大厦的克里斯艾森 及在纽约的马乔瑞克拉克 |
[02:26] | Good evening. Before we get to Chris and Marjorie… | 晚安,跟克里斯及马乔瑞 |
[02:28] | …tonight on the Capital Beat, the House is expected to vote next week… | 在今晚的《首都节奏》连线前 下星期众议院将投票表决 |
[02:32] | …on President Bartlet’s $ 1. 5-billion education package. | 巴特勒总统的 十五亿教育预算 |
[02:36] | Sam Seaborn, why is this bill better than its Republican counterpart… | 山姆希朋,为什么这项法案 要比去年 |
[02:40] | …that the president vetoed last year? | 总统否决掉的 共和党版本来得好呢? |
[02:42] | Because it buys things that teachers need, like textbooks. | 因为它能购买老师们 需要的所有东西,譬如说教科书 |
[02:46] | In a fairly comprehensive study, an alarmingly high number of teachers… | 根据一项广泛的研究 有相当高比例的老师 |
[02:50] | …40 percent of the teachers in Kirkwood, Oregon, for instance… | 譬如说在俄勒岗州寇克伍德镇 有四成的老师 |
[02:53] | …and Kirkwood being a fair model for public school districts in the country… | 寇克伍德镇 是美国公立学校的一个样本 |
[02:57] | …40 percent of teachers in Kirkwood, Oregon… | 在俄勒岗州寇克伍德镇 有四成的老师 |
[03:00] | …do not have sufficient textbooks for students. | 没有足够的教科书 可以让学生们使用 |
[03:02] | The package offered by the Republican-controlled Congress… | 由共和党控制的国会 所提供的版本 |
[03:05] | …offered zero dollars for new textbooks. | 并没有编列一分钱 购买新的教科书 |
[03:08] | – Ainsley Hayes, is that true? – No, it’s not. | -艾金丝莉海耶斯,那是真的吗? -不是的 |
[03:11] | – Is Sam Seaborn lying? – ” Lying ” is an awfully strong word. | -山姆希朋在说谎吗? -“说谎”这个罪名太重了 |
[03:16] | – Do you…? – Yes, he’s lying. | -你? -对,他在说谎 |
[03:17] | And we should tell the truth about education. | 我们应该说出 关于教育的真相 |
[03:20] | – If you’re gonna call… – The bill had money for textbooks. | -如果你要说 -法案编列了购买教科书的费用 |
[03:23] | Also, computer literacy, school safety, physical plant. | 还有电脑教育 学校安全跟体育场地的费用 |
[03:26] | The difference is we wanted to give the money to communities… | 不同之处是我们希望 把钱交给社区 |
[03:30] | …and let them decide how to spend it on the off-chance… | 让他们决定 把钱花在哪里 |
[03:33] | …the needs of Lincoln High in Dayton are different from… | 譬如说戴顿镇的林肯高中 需要的东西 |
[03:35] | – … Crenshaw High in South Central L.A. – Why did the president veto the bill? | -跟洛杉矶中南区的克恩萧高中不同 -总统为什么要否决那个法案? |
[03:39] | Because it guaranteed by law that 95% of the money go into the classroom… | 因为法律保证九成五的预算 会流入学校 |
[03:44] | …and bypass the pork-barrel buffet, which troubles the president… | 没办法做绑桩拨款 总统对这点很不满意 |
[03:47] | …because he doesn’t work for the students. | 因为他没有考虑到学生 |
[03:49] | – That’s untrue. – He doesn’t work for the parents. | -那不是真的 -他没有考虑到家长 |
[03:52] | He works for the teachers union. | 他只考虑到教师工会 |
[03:54] | The bill contained plenty of money for textbooks… | 法案编列了足够预算 来购买教科书 |
[03:57] | …and anyone who says otherwise is lying. | 否认这一点的人 就是在说谎 |
[03:59] | We should tell the truth about this. Textbooks are important. | 我们应该说出真相 教科书很重要 |
[04:02] | If for no other reason than they accurately place… | 或许有些人不知道 |
[04:05] | …Kirkwood in California, not Oregon. | 寇克伍德在加州,不在俄勒岗州 |
[04:07] | And we’re in business. We’ll be back with more Capital Beat after this. | 我们要进一段广告 请继续收看《首都节奏》 |
[04:11] | We’re out. | 进广告了 |
[04:12] | I’m sorry, did I overreach? | 抱歉,我表现的太过火了吗? |
[04:15] | – Hey, Sam. – Yeah. | -山姆 -是的 |
[04:17] | – This one might know something. – Yeah. | -她似乎知道一些东西 -对 |
[04:21] | Please let them not be watching. | 拜托别让他们看到这一幕 |
[04:23] | Toby. Come quick. Sam’s getting his ass kicked by a girl. | 托比,快点来 山姆被一个女孩痛宰 |
[04:29] | Ginger, get the popcorn. | 金洁,快拿爆米花来 罗伯洛 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 珍妮尔摩隆奈 里察薛福 约翰史宾赛 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 |
[05:20] | There’ll be a photo op in a half-hour with President Bartlet… | (星期二) 半小时后 有巴特勒总统 |
[05:23] | …and President Nimbala of the Republic of Equatorial Kuhndu… | 跟赤道昆度共和国 尼巴拉总统合照的行程 |
[05:26] | …who’s representing African nations. | 他是非洲国家的代表 |
[05:28] | Is it the goal of the summit to get drug companies to lower prices… | 高峰会的目标 是让药厂降低售价 |
[05:32] | …or is the goal to get African countries to honor U.S. patents? | 或是让非洲国家 尊重美国的专利权? |
[05:35] | The goal of the summit is to get a step closer… | 高峰会的目标 是进一步 |
[05:38] | …to solving 26 million African AIDS victims. | 拯救非洲 两千六百万爱滋病患者 |
[05:41] | We’re counting on the drug companies, on African nations… | 我们希望药厂 非洲国家 |
[05:44] | …on the global health community. They’re counting on us for a solution. | 跟全球卫生组织可以合作 他们希望我们能提出解决之道 |
[05:48] | Will the White House declare war on drug companies? | 白宫会跟药厂宣战吗? |
[05:50] | It sounds like you have. If we need a button man, we’ll call you. | 听起来像是你会 如果我们需要人来发号施令,会通知你 |
[05:54] | Thank you. Half-hour in the Mural Room. | 谢谢,半小时后壁画室见 |
[05:56] | Carol, they’ll need to be in three groups. | 卡萝,将他们分成三批 |
[05:59] | You know what you might have mentioned? | 你知道 你该提到什么吗? |
[06:01] | A 14-minute briefing, and I get reviews? | 我做了十四分钟的简报 还要被质问? |
[06:03] | The same drug that is $10 in Norway, where nobody needs it… | 在挪威相同的药是十块钱美金 当地不需要那些药 |
[06:07] | …costs $90 in Burundi, where everybody needs it. | 在大家都需要药的蒲隆地 价格却涨到九十块美金 |
[06:09] | Nothing keeps these people here but goodwill. | 这些人 是出自善意才待在这里 |
[06:12] | They can charge what they want. | 他们想卖多少钱是他们的自由 |
[06:13] | It sounded like we will be soft on drug companies. | 听起来我们会对药厂 采取宽容的态度 |
[06:16] | Nobody expects us to be anything but tough on… | 托比,没有人期待我们 会对有营利的美国公司 |
[06:19] | – … American companies showing a profit. – Damn right. | 制片:克里斯丁哈姆斯 -摆出强硬态度 -你说的对 |
[06:21] | Where was the ’92 World Copyright Conference? | 1992年的世界版权大会 在哪里举行? |
[06:24] | – Geneva. – Thank you. | -日内瓦 -谢谢 |
[06:25] | I really admire the way you came to work this morning head held high. | -日内瓦 -谢谢 我真的很欣赏你 今天早上还能抬起头来上班 |
[06:29] | I appreciate you being the only one not to heckle me. | 谢谢你不是唯一 嘲笑我的人 |
[06:32] | No problem. There’s a bunch of women, why don’t you ask where Geneva is. | 制片:李维林威尔斯 别客气,外面有一大堆女人 你何不问她们日内瓦在哪里? |
[06:36] | Go to my office. | 到我的办公室 |
[06:37] | Me and you, 20 questions, general knowledge test. | 到我的办公室 我跟你比二十个 一般常识测验的问题 |
[06:40] | – Go. – I’ll spot two questions. | -快去 -我只要两题就能赢你 |
[06:41] | – For how much money? – Go to my office. | -赌多少钱? -到我的办公室 |
[06:43] | I’m going to his office. | 我要去他的办公室 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[06:51] | – She’s making the chicken sound now. – Go to my office. | -她在学鸡叫 -到我的办公室 |
[06:56] | A drug they gotta buy from us for $4… | 我们卖给他们 四块钱的药 |
[06:58] | …they can get generic from Pakistan for 40 cents. | 导演:肯恩欧林 他们能从巴基斯坦 买到价值四角的水货 |
[07:01] | That’s not the only bargain in Pakistan. My friends and I go for spring fashions. | 那不是在巴基斯坦唯一能买到的便宜货 我朋友跟我要去买春季时装 |
[07:05] | It shows. | 看得出来 |
[07:09] | – C.J. – He made a dig about my clothes. | -茜洁 -他在嘲笑我的服装 |
[07:11] | That’ll be with me for the day. | 我不会忘记的 |
[07:13] | I wanted to introduce myself. I’m Bill Kelley from the Cleveland Courier. | 我要做个自我介绍 我是《克利夫兰传讯报》的比尔凯利 |
[07:17] | They’re breaking me in… | 他们派我来 |
[07:18] | – … to cover for Tom Johnson. – Welcome. | -替补汤姆强森 -欢迎 |
[07:21] | Can I ask you something? | 我能问你一件事吗? |
[07:22] | Do you know anything about Bonamo Energy selling drilling equipment to Iraq? | 你知道波纳莫能源公司 将钻油设备卖给伊拉克吗? |
[07:26] | I won’t wave you off the story, but I can’t tell you anything. | 我不希望扫你的兴 但我什么都不能说 |
[07:29] | If they were selling them, that would be in violation of sanctions, right? | 如果他们真的那么做 那违反了禁运规定,对吧? |
[07:33] | Grand-jury investigations are secret, I can’t tell you any more. | 大陪审团的调查是秘密的 我什么都不能说 |
[07:36] | – I understand. Nice meeting you. – Nice meeting you. | -我了解,很高兴能认识你 -我也是 |
[07:42] | – Bill? – Yeah. | -比尔 -什么事? |
[07:46] | Nothing, just nothing. | 没事 |
[07:56] | Then you’ve got guys like Mbeki who say that AIDS isn’t linked to HIV… | 你们有姆贝基那种人 他说爱滋病跟HIV病毒无关 |
[08:00] | …it’s linked to poverty. | 它跟贫穷有关 |
[08:01] | – It is. – Do you want a list of dead millionaires? | -没错 -你要已死亡的百万富翁名单吗? |
[08:04] | He was saying prostitutes, migrant laborers, the ill-educated… | 他指的是娼妓 外劳,文盲 |
[08:07] | …and victims of sexual abuse are more likely… | 跟性侵犯受害者比较可能是 |
[08:10] | Leo, AIDS is caused by HIV. | 里奥,爱滋病是由HIV引起 |
[08:12] | You named a group of people that have a higher mortality rate. | 你说的那些人 是致死率比较高 |
[08:15] | – Morning. – Good morning, sir. | -早安,查理 -早安,长官 |
[08:17] | – Where are we? – They’re all set. | -情况如何? -他们都安排好了 |
[08:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[08:20] | The health minister was clarifying his comments. | 卫生部长澄清了他的评论 |
[08:22] | They have a health minister who doesn’t think AIDS is connected to HIV. | 他们的卫生部长 不知道爱滋病跟HIV病毒有关 |
[08:26] | He was clearing up the comments. | 他澄清了他的评论 |
[08:28] | Did you see Sam get puréed last night on Capital Beat? | 昨晚你看到山姆 在《首都节奏》被痛宰了吗? |
[08:30] | I didn’t see it, but I have heard tell. | 我没有看到 但是我听说了 |
[08:33] | He got diced and sliced by a woman named Ainsley Hayes. | 他被一位名叫艾金丝莉海耶斯的女孩 问得哑口无言 |
[08:36] | She’s been writing some columns. | 她写了一些专栏 |
[08:38] | I had Charlie pull them for me. Where’s she been? | 我请查理帮我查资料 她一直都躲在哪里? |
[08:40] | – She was clerking for Dreifort. – We should hire her. | -她帮德瑞福特做过事 -我们应该雇用她 |
[08:43] | – That’d be funny. – No, I mean it. | -那太好笑了 -不,我是认真的 |
[08:45] | – Mean what? – We should hire her. | -你是指什么? -我们应该雇用她 |
[08:47] | You mean, as a joke on Sam? | 你是说你要拿她来开山姆玩笑? |
[08:49] | Not as a joke. We should hire her as a reality. We should hire her. | 不是开玩笑,我们真的该雇用她 我们该雇用她 |
[08:52] | – She’s a Republican. – So’s half the country. | -她是共和党员 -有一半的国民都是 |
[08:55] | That half lost, so… | 那一半输了,所以 |
[08:56] | She’s smart, not just carping. She feels a sense of something. | 那一半输了,所以 她很聪明,不只是挑剔个没完 她知道自己在做什么 |
[09:00] | – Of what? – Mr. President? | -做什么? -总统先生 |
[09:01] | Of duty. Of civic duty. | 她知道好公民的责任 |
[09:03] | – How many pieces by her did you read? – Three. | -你看过多少篇她写的专栏? -三篇 |
[09:06] | – You’re sure of her sense of civic duty? – I can sense civic duty a mile away. | -你确定她有当好公民的责任感? -我大老远就可以感觉到 |
[09:10] | – Good morning. | – Good morning. -早安,总统先生 -早安 |
[09:12] | – Good morning. | – Good morning. -早安 -早安 |
[09:13] | Good morning, everybody. | 大家早 |
[09:15] | – Good morning, Mr. President. – Good morning, sir. | -早安,总统先生 -早安,长官 |
[09:18] | You can tell your caption editors, Bartlet’s the third guy from the right. | 你们可以告诉你们的字幕编辑 巴特勒是右边数过去第三个人 |
[09:22] | Thank you, sir. Presidents Bartlet and Nimbala will take questions. | 谢谢你,巴特勒总统 跟尼巴拉总统会回答问题 |
[09:25] | – President Bartlet? – Katie. | -巴特勒总统 -凯蒂 |
[09:27] | This is a summit among leaders of American pharmaceutical companies… | 这是美国药厂老板 跟饱受爱滋病侵虐的非洲国家 |
[09:30] | …and AIDS-ravaged African nations that President Nimbala is representing here. | 所举行的高峰会 尼巴拉总统代表非洲国家 |
[09:34] | Is there a political upside to having President Nimbala here… | 现在只有尼巴拉总统出席 没有看到 |
[09:38] | …and not the pharmaceutical companies? | 药厂的代表 是不是具有政治意味? |
[09:40] | Yes, I’m trying to shore up the sub-Saharan vote. | 对,我想拉拢 在撒哈拉沙漠的选票 |
[09:42] | Mr. President, are you considering asking Congress to forgive existing debt? | 总统先生,你考虑 请国会撤销现有的债务吗? |
[09:47] | It’s an international health crisis, there’s nothing I’m not considering. | 这是一项国际性健康危机 我愿意考虑所有事 |
[09:50] | – Arthur. – President Nimbala, what’s the best… | -亚瑟 -尼巴拉总统,你希望这次高峰会 |
[09:53] | …you hope to come away with from this summit? What’s a home run? | 会有什么样的结果? 你有什么样的期待? |
[09:57] | A miracle. | 奇迹 |
[10:06] | There are people who make miracles in the world. | 世界上有很多 会制造奇迹的人 |
[10:09] | One of them lives right here in the U.S. | 其中一个人 就住在美国 |
[10:12] | He realized that vital elements could be harvested from the stalk of the wheat. | 他了解可以将所有的基本营养素 包含在麦子里 |
[10:17] | In his hands, India, which at the time… | 因为他曾经深受 |
[10:20] | …had been ravaged by drought and overpopulation… | 干旱跟人口过多 所苦的印度 |
[10:23] | …in his hands, their wheat crop increased from 11 million tons… | 在他的手上 印度麦子收成从每年一千一百万顿 |
[10:27] | …to 60 million tons annually. | 增加到六千万顿 |
[10:30] | That’s right. His name is Norman Borlaug, by the way… | 没错,他叫做诺曼布若格,还有 |
[10:34] | …and he won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970. | 他在1970年拿到诺贝尔和平奖 |
[10:37] | Thank you, Mr. President, President Nimbala. Thank you, everyone. | 谢谢总统先生跟尼巴拉总统 谢谢大家 |
[10:43] | I think you’re absolutely right about the kind of miracle we need. | 我想你说的没错 我们需要奇迹 |
[10:48] | I think we’re gonna make a lot of progress in the next couple of days. | 我想接下来几天 我们一定会大有进展 |
[10:51] | I hope so, Mr. President. My country’s dying. | 希望你说的对,总统先生 我的国家快灭亡了 |
[11:04] | It was called dwarf wheat, which produces heavy yields… | 它叫做侏儒小麦 可以长出饱满的麦穗 |
[11:07] | …without its stalk falling over from the weight of the grain. | 它的茎不会被麦穗压垮 |
[11:10] | Was it a hybrid? | 它是杂交品种吗? |
[11:12] | What am I, Farmer Bob? There was more wheat than there used to be. | 它是杂交品种吗? 我是农夫吗? 现在的麦子品种比以前多 |
[11:15] | And hire that girl. | 雇用那个女孩 |
[11:16] | – What girl? – Ainsley Hayes. | -哪个女孩? -艾金丝莉海耶斯 |
[11:18] | – No. – Why? | -不 -为什么? |
[11:20] | This is a thing you’re excited about at breakfast… | 这是那种 吃早餐时你还兴致勃勃的 |
[11:23] | …that you forget you told me to do by lunch. | 到了吃午餐时 你早就忘得一干二净的事 |
[11:25] | – Not one of those. – It is one of those. | -才不是 -就是 |
[11:27] | Hard as you might try, the Republican Party isn’t going anywhere. | 里奥,或许你很努力 但共和党哪里都去不了 |
[11:31] | We don’t know that, they could move to Vancouver. | 话别说得太早 他们可以搬到温哥华 |
[11:33] | – I don’t think so. – Me neither. | -我可不那么想 -我也是 |
[11:35] | But being in power means everybody else can take a seat for four years. | 但大权在握 代表其他人也可以当四年总统 |
[11:39] | Charlie, I wanna hire a woman whose voice would fit in nicely around here. | 查理,我要雇用 一个声音甜美的女孩 |
[11:43] | She’s a conservative Republican, you think I should do it? | 她是保守的共和党员 你觉得我该那么做吗? |
[11:46] | Absolutely, Mr. President, because I’m told that theirs is the party of inclusion. | 当然,总统先生 因为我听说共和党是包容的政党 |
[11:52] | See? Charlie just made a joke to you in the Oval Office. | 看吧?查理在椭圆形办公室 跟你开玩笑 |
[11:55] | – That’s how bad an idea it is. – Leo… | -所以那是个烂主意 -里奥 |
[11:57] | Seriously, Mr. President, if you wanna do this, it’s not an uninteresting notion… | 说真的,总统先生 如果你想那么做,那一点都不好玩 |
[12:02] | …just do it in a high-profile place. | 请你做得高规格一点 |
[12:04] | – Put a Republican in the Cabinet. – We might. | -邀请共和党员入阁 -或许我们会那么做 |
[12:06] | A hundred million Republicans, we might hire as many as two of them. | 一亿个共和党员 我们可以雇用两个共和党员 |
[12:10] | – But for now, hire this girl. – To do what? | -但现在快去雇用这个女孩 -你要她做什么? |
[12:12] | I don’t know. She’s a lawyer, put her in counsel’s office. | 我不知道,她是律师 请她来当顾问 |
[12:15] | – You really want me to do this? – Yes. | -你真的要我那么做? -对 |
[12:19] | – What if she doesn’t wanna work here? – Appeal to her sense of duty. | -如果她不想来这里上班呢? -提醒她得有点责任感 |
[12:23] | Smooth it over with the staff. I don’t wanna hear from them. | 安抚其他的工作人员 我不想听到他们抱怨 |
[12:26] | – She can always have my job. – Yes, she can. | -她可以做我的工作 -没错 |
[12:29] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – Thank you. | -谢谢你,总统先生 -谢谢 |
[12:31] | – Charlie? – Yes, sir. | -查理? -是的,长官 |
[12:33] | When they close the book on me and you… | 当他们对 你跟我盖棺论定时 |
[12:35] | …it will say at this moment, you were not there for me… | 他们会记得 这一刻你并不支持我 |
[12:38] | …and for that there’ll be punishment. | 所以你得遭到天谴 |
[12:40] | Well, you could sing Puccini for me again, Mr. President. We’ll call it even. | 你可以再唱一次普西尼给我听 总统先生,那样子我们就扯平了 |
[12:45] | …and anyone who says otherwise is lying. | 否认这一点的人 就是在说谎 |
[12:48] | – Here it comes. – Does anybody know…? | -精彩的来了 -有谁知道? |
[12:50] | Textbooks are important. | 教科书很重要 |
[12:52] | If for no other reason than they accurately place… | 或许有些人不知道 |
[12:54] | …Kirkwood in California, not Oregon. | 寇克伍德在加州 不在俄勒岗州 |
[12:58] | Oh, I could watch that a hundred times. | 看再多次 我都不会觉得厌倦 |
[13:00] | Does anybody know how to work caller ID? | 有谁知道 怎么显示来电号码? |
[13:03] | How can you not know how to use a phone? | 你怎么可能 不知道如何使用电话? |
[13:05] | – My attention’s been elsewhere. – Pay attention to that because… | -我把注意力放在别的事情上 -请大家注意,因为 |
[13:08] | – … Bruce’s friend is gonna call you. – The agent? | -布鲁斯的朋友会打电话给你 -那个经纪人? |
[13:11] | I don’t need an agent, I need a caller ID tutorial. | 我不需要经纪人 我只需要一个人来教我使用来电显示 |
[13:14] | You need an agent, you’re gonna be a star. | 你需要经纪人 你会变成大明星 |
[13:16] | Used to be you had to sing and dance. | 以前当大明星要会唱歌跳舞 |
[13:19] | You are gonna get a lot of work ripping these people to shreds… | 你会接到很多邀约 将那些人碎尸万段 |
[13:22] | …and looking good doing it. | 获得大家的崇拜 |
[13:24] | That’s an actual job now? | 现在那成了一份工作? |
[13:27] | That’s him. | 他打电话来了 |
[13:30] | Let’s see. I push this button… | 让我看看,按下这个按钮 |
[13:34] | …the phone number appears. | 就会显示电话号码 |
[13:37] | Ainsley? | 艾金丝莉? |
[13:39] | 202-456-1414. | |
[13:43] | Is that the agent? | 是经纪人打来的吗? |
[13:45] | It’s the White House. | 是白宫打来的 (星期三) |
[13:59] | – Hey, Sam. – Excuse me? | -嗨,山姆 -你说什么? |
[14:02] | – What? – Did you say something to me? | -什么? -刚刚你有跟我说话吗? |
[14:06] | – I said, ” Hey, Sam. ” – Really? | -我说: “嗨,山姆” -真的吗? |
[14:10] | It sounded like you might have made a wisecrack about Oregon and California. | 听起来你像 拿俄勒岗州跟加州开我玩笑 |
[14:14] | Sorry. Out of luck. | 抱歉,你猜错了 |
[14:16] | – Hey, C.J. – Hi, Donna. | -嗨,茜洁 -嗨,唐娜 |
[14:19] | – Just getting here? This is late for you. – I got lost. | -你刚刚才来?你迟到了 -我迷路了 |
[14:23] | – Where? – On the way to work. | -你在哪里迷路? -我在上班的路上迷路了 |
[14:24] | – When? – Now! This morning. | -什么时候? -现在,今天早上 |
[14:26] | – You got lost on your way to work? – Good morning, Carol. | -你在上班的路上迷路了? -早安,卡萝 |
[14:29] | – Good morning, Sam. It’s 8: 15. – We’ll do messages in a minute. | -早安,山姆,现在是八点十五分 -我们会在一分钟内做简报 |
[14:33] | – Lost on your way to work. – Don’t make fun. | -你在上班的路上迷路了 -别开我玩笑 |
[14:36] | – I wouldn’t worry about that. – I didn’t sleep much. | -我不会担心那一点 -我没睡太久 |
[14:38] | – How much did you sleep? – None, not at all. | -你睡了多久? -我根本没睡 |
[14:40] | You slept none, not at all? | 你根本没睡? |
[14:42] | I am today excited about you being the president’s spokesperson. | 今天我很高兴 你是总统的发言人 |
[14:45] | Let me ask you something. | 我要问你一件事 |
[14:50] | I was talking yesterday to a reporter who’s new in the room… | 昨天我跟一个记者说话 他是新来的 |
[14:53] | …and he asked me a question, and in my answer…. | 他问我一个问题 我告诉他 |
[15:07] | Let me ask you something. | 我要问你一件事 |
[15:19] | You know you haven’t asked me anything yet, right? | 你知道你什么都没有问,对吧? |
[15:25] | – Yeah, listen, never mind. – C.J.? | -对,听着,算了 -茜洁? |
[15:28] | – Forget it. – What is it? | -算了 -到底是什么事? |
[15:29] | The two of you. Come take a walk with me. | 你们两个陪我散个步 |
[15:35] | – What’s going on? – I wanted to tell you with people… | -发生了什么事? -我希望在大家面前 |
[15:38] | – … around so you wouldn’t scream. – Scream? | -告诉你们这件事,你们才不会大叫 -大叫? |
[15:40] | The woman who was on Capitol Beat with Sam Sunday. | 星期天跟山姆一起上 《首都节奏》的女孩 |
[15:42] | – What about her? – I’m offering her a job. | -她怎么了? -我要给她一份工作 |
[15:45] | – Where? – Here. | -在哪里? -就在这里 |
[15:47] | – Are you kidding? – No. | -你在开玩笑吗? -不是 |
[15:48] | – Are you kidding? – No. | -你在开玩笑吗? -不是 |
[15:49] | – Are you kidding? – No. | -你在开玩笑吗? -不是 -你在开玩笑吗? -不是 |
[15:50] | What the hell made you think I wouldn’t scream where there are people? | 你为什么会以为 有人在我就不会大叫了? |
[15:54] | – I took a shot. – Leo! | -我得冒个险 -里奥! |
[15:56] | Outside. | 出去谈 |
[15:59] | I haven’t honed in on this. | 我一直没提这件事 |
[16:00] | – A lot of people in Africa with HIV. – Right. | -在非洲很多人染上HIV病毒 -对 |
[16:03] | American companies hold the patents on medicines they need. | 美国公司拥有 治疗这种疾病药物的专利权 |
[16:06] | Most people in most of Africa can’t afford them so they buy them… | 大部份的非洲人买不起这些药 所以他们透过黑市 |
[16:09] | – … off the black market… – Violating U.S. patents and treaties. | -买药 -违反美国的专利权法 |
[16:13] | How prohibitively priced are the drugs? | 这些药到底是多少钱? |
[16:15] | – About 150 bucks a week. – That’s not totally off the charts. | -一星期大约一百五十块 -那还不算高 |
[16:18] | A police officer in Kenya makes $43 a month. | 在肯亚警察的月薪是四十三块 |
[16:23] | Do good in there. | 在那里还算是高薪 |
[16:27] | – This isn’t about profit… – Sir. | -这跟赚钱无关 -先生 |
[16:29] | – This isn’t about profit… – Sir, you have interrupted me again. | -这跟赚钱无关 -先生,你又打断我的话了 |
[16:34] | My apologies, Mr. President. | 对不起,总统先生 |
[16:39] | How can you tell us this isn’t about profit maximization? | 你怎么能说 这跟赚钱无关? |
[16:43] | You sell Emperex for half the price in Norway than you do in my country. | 艾普瑞斯在挪威的售价 只有我的国家药价的一半 |
[16:47] | – That’s not the issue. – Let’s make it the issue. | -那不是重点 -我们就把它当成重点吧 |
[16:50] | Let’s make it the issue for the moment. | 现在就把它当成重点 |
[16:52] | You can’t compare prices worldwide. | 你不能 拿全球的售价来做比较 |
[16:54] | Sir, excuse me, sir. | 先生,对不起 |
[16:58] | I was the one who asked the question… | 发问的人是我 |
[17:01] | …I’d appreciate it if you directed your answer to me. | 请你直接回答我的问题 |
[17:04] | President Nimbala, when you sell to small pharmacies… | 尼巴拉总统 如果你是在小药局出售 |
[17:08] | …as we do in Norway, a different price is set. | 就像我们在挪威的做法 价格当然会不一样 |
[17:12] | Norway…. | 挪威 |
[17:13] | Norway, $10 per unit U.S. My country, $23 per unit U.S. | 在挪威一单位的药是十块美金 在我的国家一单位的药是二十三块美金 |
[17:18] | Retail markups, taxes, pharmacy discounts, these things vary widely. | 零售成本,税金,药局折扣 这些价格会因地而异 |
[17:22] | Not to mention we don’t know if the drugs are getting to your citizens. | 更别提我们不知道 这些药能不能交到你人民手上 |
[17:27] | You’re implying corruption and incompetence. | 你是在暗示 我的政府腐败无能 |
[17:32] | We do have reports of that, Mr. President. | 我们收集了这类的报告 总统先生 |
[17:38] | You talk to me about corruption? | 你跟我谈论腐败的问题? |
[17:41] | What are your annual sales of fluconazole alone? | 你们一年可以 卖出多少抗菌剂? |
[17:44] | – A billion dollars. – I don’t understand your point. | -十亿 -我不了解你的重点 |
[17:47] | I think President Nimbala’s saying there’s more money… | 我想尼巴拉总统的意思是 花在白人男性阳痿上的钱 |
[17:50] | …in giving a white guy an erection than curing a black guy of AIDS. | 要比治疗患有爱滋病的黑人还多 |
[17:56] | Sir, my company has given away… | 先生,我公司一年 |
[17:58] | …over $120 million worth of free drugs a year… | 免费送出一亿两千万的药物 |
[18:01] | …including free doses of Xyclacinth, which is one of two drugs… | 其中包括了克斯拉辛 它是你的国家 |
[18:06] | …in your country curing eye infection right now. | 现在用来治疗眼睛感染的 两种药物之一 |
[18:09] | They’re not dying from eye infections, Alan. | 他们不是因为眼睛感染 濒临死亡,亚伦 |
[18:12] | They’re not dying because of me either, Toby. | 他们也不是因为我 濒临死亡,托比 |
[18:15] | I’d like not to be talked to this way. | 我不希望别人这样在我面前说话 |
[18:18] | If it was 26 million Europeans dying, we’d have had a solution yesterday. | 如果有两千六百万欧洲人快死了 我们会在昨天就想出对策 |
[18:25] | How much would it cost for you to provide free drugs… | 如果要你们免费提供药物给 沙西利斯共和国 |
[18:28] | …to the Sahelese Republic, Kenya and the Republic of Equatorial Kuhndu? | 肯亚跟赤道昆度共和国 要花掉你们多少钱? |
[18:34] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[18:35] | Why not? We’re talking about 130,000 patients, 200mg pills… | 为什么?我们知道有十三万名病人 两百毫克的药物 |
[18:39] | …three times a day, every day, what’s the X factor? | 一天服用三次,每天都要 还有什么是未知数? |
[18:44] | We don’t know how long they’ll live. | 我们不知道他们能活多久 |
[18:51] | We’re nowhere. | 这样下去是不会有结论的 |
[18:52] | Let’s take a break. | 我们休息一下吧 |
[19:03] | – She’s here. – Good. | (星期四) -她来了 -很好 |
[19:04] | – Should I send her in? – Yeah. | -她可以进来吗? -可以了 |
[19:06] | – You want me to stay here? – Why? | -你要我留下来吗? -为什么? |
[19:07] | – In case something should happen? – What would that be exactly? | -以防会出事? -会出什么事呢? |
[19:11] | – I’ll bring her in. – Thank you. | -我请她进来 -谢谢你 |
[19:15] | – Ainsley? – Mr. McGarry. | -艾金丝莉 -马加瑞先生 |
[19:17] | – Leo’s fine. – Yes, sir. | -叫我里奥就行了 -好的 |
[19:21] | Were you offered coffee or something to drink? | 他们有请你喝咖啡 或其他东西吗? |
[19:23] | The woman out there, who I imagine is your secretary, offered me coffee. | 外面那位女士,我想她应该 是你的秘书,她请我喝咖啡 |
[19:28] | She was also kind enough to ask for my coat. | 她还很好心地 帮我挂外套 |
[19:30] | – Excellent. – She seems to be a very good secretary. | -太棒了 -她似乎是个非常好的秘书 |
[19:33] | Well, she’ll be happy to hear that, she’s standing right outside the door. | 她听到一定会很高兴 现在她正站在门外 |
[19:39] | So I have to tell you… | 我得告诉你 |
[19:42] | …I’ve never seen Sam Seaborn get beat the way you beat him on Monday. | 我从来没看过任何人 像你那样子痛宰山姆希朋 |
[19:47] | Yes, well, Mr. McGarry… | 是的,马加瑞先生 |
[19:48] | – Leo. – Yes, sir. | -叫我里奥 -是的 |
[19:50] | I’ve been thinking about that since your office called… | 自从你的办公室打电话给我 我一直在想 |
[19:53] | …and I have something to say. | 我有话要说 |
[19:55] | I understand if you won’t let me, but I would appreciate if you did. | 如果你不让我说,我能了解 但如果你愿意让我说,谢谢你 |
[19:58] | I didn’t really follow that, but whatever. | 我听不懂你的意思 但是没关系 |
[20:01] | It is wrong for a man in your position to summon someone… | 像你这么位高权重的人 不应该找人来 |
[20:04] | …to reprimand them for voicing opposition. | 训诫他们不应该反对你 |
[20:06] | I think that is wrong, and it is inappropriate. | 我认为那是不对的 也是不适宜的 |
[20:09] | It’s inappropriate, and I’ll tell you what else… | 那是不适宜的 我还要告诉你 |
[20:11] | It’s wrong? That’s fine, except you weren’t summoned to be reprimanded. | 那是不对的?太棒了 但我不是找你来训话的 |
[20:15] | Then why was I summoned? | 那么你为什么要找我? |
[20:16] | You have an interesting conversational style, you know that? | 你说话的方式很有趣 你知道吗? |
[20:20] | – It’s a nervous condition. – I used to have a nervous condition. | -那是因为我很紧张 -我以前也会紧张 |
[20:23] | – How did yours manifest itself? – I drank a lot of Scotch. | -你都是怎么做的? -我会喝很多威士忌 |
[20:26] | – I get sick when I drink too much. – I get drunk. | -我喝太多酒会不舒服 -我会喝醉 |
[20:29] | – Well, Mr. McGarry… – Leo. | -马加瑞先生 -叫我里奥 |
[20:31] | Yes, sir. I’ll ask again. For what purpose was I brought here today? | 是的,我要再问你一次 今天你为什么要找我来? |
[20:35] | So I could offer you a job. | 我要提供一份工作给你 |
[20:37] | It is not fair that I be expected to play the role of mouse… | 你们不应该 期待由我来当老鼠 |
[20:40] | …to the White House’s cat in a game of… | 而白宫来当猫 要我来玩 |
[20:42] | – You know? – Cat and mouse? | -你知道吗? -猫捉老鼠的游戏? |
[20:44] | Yes. And it’s not like I’m not, you know…. | 对,我不是说我不是 你知道的 |
[20:47] | The fact that I may not look like the Republicans who have… | 事实上或许我看起来 不像一般的共和党员 |
[20:50] | …crossed your path does not mean that I am any less inclined toward… | 他们老是跟你们作对 但那不表示我不想 |
[20:55] | Here it comes. | 重点来了 |
[20:57] | – Did you say, ” Offer me a job”? – Yes. Associate White House counsel. | -你说“你要提供一份工作给我”? -对,你是助理白宫顾问 |
[21:01] | You’d report to the deputy White House counsel… | 你得跟白宫副顾问报告 |
[21:04] | …who reports to the White House counsel, who reports to me. | 他们得跟白宫顾问报告 白宫顾问得跟我报告 |
[21:07] | I’m sorry, a job in this White House? | 抱歉,你要我在这白宫工作? |
[21:11] | – You want a glass of Scotch? – Yes, please. | -你要喝杯威士忌吗? -好的,谢谢你 |
[21:18] | C.J.? | 茜洁? |
[21:21] | See a sleep doctor. Take a pill. Do something. | 去看睡眠治疗医生 吃颗药,想个办法 |
[21:25] | I rode the Lifecycle this morning for an hour and a half. | 今天早上我骑了 一个半小时的单车 |
[21:28] | If it was a real cycle, I’d have been in Belgium by now. | 如果它是真的单车 我应该已经到了比利时 |
[21:33] | What did you wanna ask me the other day? | 那天你到底想问我什么事? |
[21:35] | – If I tell, you could be subpoenaed. – Don’t worry. | -如果我告诉你,你可能会接到传票 -别担心 |
[21:38] | – It could cost you… – Don’t worry about it. | -那可能会让你 -别担心 |
[21:40] | I do worry about it. | 我真的很担心 |
[21:44] | There’s no problem. I just need some sleep. | 没事了 我只是需要睡一下 |
[21:48] | What can I bring into the room about the conference? | 我要怎么跟记者们 说明会议进展? |
[21:51] | The sessions are productive. Progress is being made. | 讨论非常有建设性 我们已经有所进展 |
[21:54] | These kind of things take time. All the parties are optimistic. | 这类的事情需要时间 大家都抱持乐观态度 |
[21:58] | Are any of the parties optimistic? | 大家真的都很乐观吗? |
[22:01] | – No. – Okay. | -不 -好吧 |
[22:03] | C.J.? | 茜洁? |
[22:11] | – Did you say something to me? – No. | -你刚刚有跟我说话吗? -没有 |
[22:14] | Because I thought you might have said something. | 我还以为你有说话 |
[22:18] | I have always been a Republican. My father is a Republican. | 我一直都是共和党员 我爸爸是共和党员 |
[22:23] | His father was state chairman of the North Carolina Republican Party. | 我爷爷是北卡罗莱纳州 共和党州主席 |
[22:27] | When I was young, I was a Young Republican. | 年轻时 我是年轻的共和党员 |
[22:30] | Even if you hadn’t already told me this many, many times… | 就算你没有 告诉我这么多次 |
[22:34] | …I would know it anyway because I have this FBI file. | 我也会知道 因为我拿到了联邦调查局档案 |
[22:37] | You have my FBI file? I can’t believe that. | 你有我的联邦调查局档案? 我不敢相信 |
[22:40] | You have my FBI file? | 你有我的联邦调查局档案? |
[22:42] | I have an FBI file? | 我在联邦调查局有档案? |
[22:43] | – Ainsley… – Mr. McGarry, I loathe… | -艾金丝莉 -马加瑞先生,我讨厌 |
[22:45] | – … almost everything you believe in. – Where you going? | -你相信的每一件事 -你要去哪里? |
[22:49] | I’m standing up, which is how one speaks in opposition in a civilized world. | 我要站起来,在文明世界里 你得这样跟你的敌人说话 |
[22:53] | – You go, girl. – I find this administration smug… | -随便你 -我发现这个政府嘲弄 |
[22:56] | …and patronizing and under the impression that those who disagree… | 摆出施舍的样子 冷血地对待 |
[23:00] | …are less than them, and with colder hearts. | 反对他们的人 他们认为反对者比不上他们 |
[23:02] | That’s not true. | 那不是真的 |
[23:03] | How many people on your staff assumed that I was ambitious, mean and stupid? | 你的工作人员当中有多少人 认为我充满野心、粗鄙又愚蠢? |
[23:08] | None. | 没有人那么想 |
[23:11] | C.J. Cregg thinks you kill your pets. You don’t do that, do you? | 茜洁葛瑞认为你杀了你的宠物 你没有那么做吧? |
[23:16] | No, I don’t kill my pets. I don’t have any pets. | 我没有杀我的宠物 我没有养宠物 |
[23:19] | I was thinking about getting a pet… The point is… | 我考虑过要养宠物 重点是 |
[23:21] | – Ainsley. – Yes, sir. | -艾金丝莉 -是的 |
[23:23] | – Don’t you wanna work here? – Oh, only since I was 2. | -你不想在这里工作吗? -我从两岁起就开始想 |
[23:26] | – Okay, then. – It has to be this White House? | -好吧 -一定要在这白宫里吗? |
[23:29] | – Ainsley… – Mr. McGarry… | -艾金丝莉 -马加瑞先生 |
[23:30] | The president likes smart people who disagree with him. | 总统喜欢反对他的聪明人 |
[23:34] | He wants to hear from you. The president’s asking you to serve. | 他想听你的忠告 总统要你为国效忠 |
[23:41] | And everything else is crap. | 其他的事都不重要 |
[23:46] | Think about it overnight. | 好好考虑一晚 |
[23:49] | Come back here at 6:00 tomorrow and give me your answer. | 明天早上六点到这里 告诉我你的决定 |
[23:53] | Margaret! | 玛格丽特! |
[23:55] | How you doing? Show Miss Hayes out, would you, please? | 你好吗?送海耶斯小姐出去 谢谢你 |
[23:59] | This way. | 这边请 |
[24:02] | You’re listening, but you’re not understanding. | 你在听我说话 但你不了解 |
[24:04] | I disagree with you. | 我不同意你的说法 |
[24:05] | That doesn’t mean I’m not listening to you or understanding what you’re saying. | 那不表示我没有听你说话 或我不了解你的意思 |
[24:09] | You gotta get out of their face. | 你不要再针对他们 |
[24:11] | They can leave. We don’t have anything they need. | 他们可以离开 我们没有他们需要的东西 |
[24:14] | – Patent treaties need to be enforced. – They will be. | -我们得保护专利权 -我们会那么做 |
[24:17] | The drug companies got half the House of Representatives elected. | 有一半的众议员是药厂选出来的 |
[24:20] | Congress is gonna get serious. The pills cost 4 cents a unit to make. | -国会会变得很认真 -一单位药的做价是四毛 |
[24:24] | You know that’s not true. The second pill cost 4 cents. | 你知道那不是真的 第二剂的药的做价才是四毛 |
[24:27] | The first pill cost them $400 million. | 第一剂的药价 要花掉他们四亿 |
[24:29] | They also enjoy unprecedented tax breaks, foreign tax credits… | 他们还享有前所未见的税率优惠 外国税率优惠 |
[24:33] | …research exemptions and expensing of research expenditures. | 他们有免税额 研究费用还能报税 |
[24:37] | And business is pretty good, so they’re gonna cover their bet. | 他们的生意很好 他们应该能负担这笔费用 |
[24:42] | – Tell me about Nimbala. – They had no cheese. It’s boysenberry. | -尼巴拉是什么样的人? -那不是起司口味的,那是杂交草莓 |
[24:45] | – A boysenberry Danish? – It’s new. | -杂交草莓口味的丹麦面包? -那是新口味 |
[24:49] | Tell me about Nimbala. | 尼巴拉是什么样的人? |
[24:54] | He’s a good president, Josh. | 他是个好总统,乔西 |
[24:58] | A great soldier, brilliant commander. | 他是个优秀的军人 高明的指挥官 |
[25:00] | He led his people for 28 years, he can’t get ahead of the curve. | 二十八年来他带领着他的人民 却没有办法做的更好 |
[25:03] | He’s cursed by geography. | 他受到自然地形的限制 |
[25:06] | If the ground won’t grow anything, you don’t have an economy. | 如果地上种不出东西 经济就不会好 |
[25:10] | But still he stands in a room and he talks about Norman Borlaug. | 但他还是坚守岗位 他提到了诺曼布若格 |
[25:14] | He came here himself, Josh. He didn’t send delegates. | 他亲自来到这里,乔西 他没有派代表来 |
[25:19] | I think it’s because he doesn’t have any. | 我想那是因为他没有代表 |
[25:22] | I think he’s holding his country together with both hands. | 他靠自己的双手 支撑他的国家 |
[25:26] | Then let’s make sure we send him back with something, is my point. | 我想我们得确定 能让他带着东西回去 |
[25:31] | – Fellas? – Yeah. | -大伙们 -怎么了? |
[25:32] | They’re ready. | 他们准备好了 |
[25:35] | Yeah. | 好吧 |
[25:37] | Folks, please take your seats. | 大家请坐 |
[25:39] | Good afternoon. Guess what? | 午安,你们猜怎么了? |
[25:41] | The audit figures released yesterday by the Senate Finance Committee… | 昨天参议院财务委员会 公布的查帐数字 |
[25:45] | …confirmed earlier reports released by the Congressional Budget Office… | 确认了之前 国会预算办公室公布的报告 |
[25:49] | …regarding the increased budget surplus projections. | 多余的计划导致预算增加 |
[25:52] | The CBO’s projection increased the surplus from 2 trillion… | 国会预算办公室的计划 将预算从两兆 |
[25:55] | …over the next 10 years to 2. 2 trillion. | 提高到未来十年 超过二点二兆 |
[25:57] | This exceeds even the most optimistic estimates published last year… | 这超过了去年 白宫预算办公室 |
[26:01] | …by the White House Budget Office of 300 billion. | 做出的最乐观估计 也就是三千亿 |
[26:04] | And the CBO’s projection last quarter of 900 billion. | 国会预算办公室的计划 在上一季的预算是九千亿 |
[26:08] | Needless to say, these figures…. | 不需要多说的是 这些数字 |
[26:09] | – Are you new too? – Excuse me? | -你也是新来的吗? -你说什么? |
[26:11] | – Are you new too? It’s my fourth day. – No. | -你是新来的吗?今天是我第四天上班 -不是 |
[26:16] | Maybe you can help me. | 或许你能帮我 |
[26:17] | I’m trying to find out about drilling equipment that might’ve been sold… | 我想查清楚波纳莫能源公司 是不是违反禁运规定 |
[26:20] | …by Bonamo Energy to the Iraqis in violation of sanctions. | 将钻油设备卖给伊拉克 |
[26:23] | I asked C.J. about it, and she said there’s a grand-jury investigation… | 我问过茜洁 她说大陪审团正在做调查 |
[26:27] | …and she’s not allowed to talk. | 她不能发表评论 |
[26:29] | If you ask me, she was acting a little bit, I don’t know…. | 我觉得她是在虚张声势 我不知道 |
[26:32] | I hear she hasn’t slept and maybe that’s… | 听说她有失眠的问题 或许她 |
[26:34] | She told you there was a grand-jury investigation? | 她跟你说 大陪审团正在做调查? |
[26:37] | – Yeah. – Miss Hayes? | -对 -海耶斯小姐? |
[26:39] | – Yeah. – This way. | -是的 -这边请 |
[26:40] | …responsible and put a large portion of the surplus to debt reduction. | 负起责任,削减大笔预算 以减少负债 |
[26:44] | An update on the summit? | 高峰会的最新进展呢? |
[26:46] | With regards to the progress made here at the summit for African AIDS relief… | 援助非洲爱滋病患者高峰会 有很大的进展 |
[26:50] | …all parties are optimistic that an agreement will be reached soon. | 各方都抱持乐观态度 很快就会达成协议 (星期五) |
[26:59] | I think there’s a more fundamental problem than marginal cost. | 我想除了底价外 我们还得面对一个更基本的问题 |
[27:03] | We’ve been at this for four days, and I think we haven’t talked… | 我们已经开了四天的会 我想我们没有谈到 |
[27:06] | …about the fundamental misunderstanding in Africa… | 非洲人对爱滋病的 |
[27:10] | …over the basic facts of AIDS. | 基本误解 |
[27:14] | There’s no misunderstanding. | 根本就没有误解 |
[27:15] | A week ago you people stood up and said that AIDS has only… | 一星期前,你们的人 站出来说爱滋病 |
[27:19] | …a casual relationship to HIV. | 是因为性滥交才会感染HIV病毒 |
[27:23] | I’m not certain to whom you’re referring when you say, “You people. “ | 我不确定你说 “你们的人”指的是何方神圣 |
[27:27] | But it was President Mbeki of South Africa who said that… | 但南非总统姆贝基 曾经那么说过 |
[27:30] | …and not anyone in this room. | 这个房间里没有人说过那些话 |
[27:32] | I think Mr. Damson has brought up a hard truth that should be faced. | 我想丹森先生提起了 一个我们必须面对的难堪事实 |
[27:36] | What’s that? | 到底是什么? |
[27:38] | If tomorrow we made AIDS medication free to every patient in your country… | 假设明天我们就将爱滋病药物 免费送给你国家的病患 |
[27:42] | …as much as they needed for as long as they needed it, it would likely… | 长期免费供应他们的需求 那还是 |
[27:46] | …make very little difference in the spread of the epidemic. | 没办法阻止爱滋病的扩散 |
[27:50] | Why? | 为什么? |
[27:52] | Anti-HIV drugs are a triple cocktail. | 抗HIV药物是三剂式的鸡尾酒疗法 |
[27:55] | It’s a complicated regimen that requires 10 pills… | 药物组合很复杂 病人每天 |
[27:58] | …to be taken every day at precise times. | 得吃十颗药 时间绝不能错 |
[28:01] | Two protease inhibitors every eight hours… | 每八个小时 吃两颗蛋白质酶抑制剂 |
[28:04] | …two combination RTL pills every 12 hours. | 每十二小时吃两剂RTI药物 |
[28:07] | What’s the problem? | 到底有什么问题? |
[28:12] | They don’t own wristwatches. They can’t tell time. | 他们没有手表 不知道到底几点了 |
[28:21] | We agree that something must be done, but we don’t think we’re culprits… | 我们都同意要拿出对策 但我们不认为我们是罪犯 |
[28:25] | …and we don’t think there is an easy or obvious solution. | 我们不认为有任何方法 可以轻松地解决问题 |
[28:29] | And we think you should be aware of the dangers involved… | 我们认为你应该知道,今天 |
[28:33] | …in some of the proposals made here today. | 我们拟出的对策 都可能有风险 |
[28:43] | Mr. President, may we speak with you alone, please? | 总统先生 我能跟你单独地谈一谈吗? |
[28:55] | Ainsley. | 艾金丝莉 |
[28:56] | Could I…? Could you give me just a moment, please? | 我可以?你能不能 等我一下?谢谢 |
[28:59] | – Sure. – Thank you. | -没问题 -谢谢 |
[29:05] | Excuse me. I was going to see Leo McGarry. | 对不起 我是来找里奥马加瑞的 |
[29:07] | He asked me to come back and see him again at the end of the day. | 他要我下班时 再回来找他 |
[29:11] | – I’m Ainsley Hayes. – It’s good to meet you. | -我是艾金丝莉海耶斯 -很高兴能跟你见面 |
[29:14] | I’m not taking the job, C.J. | 我不会接受这份工作,茜洁 |
[29:17] | Well…. | 喔 |
[29:20] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[29:22] | I just wanted to… | 我只是想 |
[29:26] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[29:31] | C.J., Rule 6E of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure says you… | 茜洁,根据联邦法典 刑事诉讼程序第6E条 |
[29:35] | …can be prosecuted for even confirming a grand jury’s been impaneled. | 你可能因确认大陪审团 的确在进行调查而被起诉 |
[29:40] | How did you know? | 你怎么知道? |
[29:42] | A reporter in your press room, who hasn’t read Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure. | 是媒体室的记者告诉我的 他没有看过联邦法典刑事诉讼程序 |
[29:46] | Well, someone’s gonna tell him eventually. | 但最后一定有人会告诉他 |
[29:50] | Who told you? | 是谁告诉你的? |
[29:52] | One of the witnesses who was called. | 被召唤的一个证人 |
[29:56] | What could happen? | 我会怎么样? |
[29:58] | Eighteen months, medium security. | 你会被判刑十八个月 受中级安全监视 |
[30:03] | C.J., I’m kidding. You didn’t break the law. | 茜洁,我在开玩笑 你没有犯法 |
[30:06] | Attorneys and jurors are under a gag order. | 律师跟陪审团 必须遵守闭口条约 |
[30:08] | Witnesses are free to say what they want. | 证人不受此限制 他们想说什么都可以 |
[30:10] | And anyone is free to repeat what they’ve said. | 大家都可以 重复证人说的话 |
[30:15] | You know, I’m not sure that laying low and hoping nobody noticed… | 我不确定摆低姿态 希望别人不会注意到 |
[30:19] | …was the best strategy here. | 是最好的策略 |
[30:22] | Next time you should really run it by someone in the counsel’s office. | 你应该跟 顾问办公室的人好好谈一谈 |
[30:26] | – Anyway, I should go see Leo. – Yeah. | -总之我该去见里奥了 -对 |
[30:39] | President Nimbala. | 尼巴拉总统 |
[30:54] | I’m gonna put a deal together and I want you to agree to it. | 我要拟出解决方案 我希望你能同意 |
[30:59] | – What am I agreeing to? – I can get them to lower their prices. | -我要同意什么? -我可以逼他们降价 |
[31:03] | But you have to commit your military, your Customs Bureau… | 但你得下令军队 你的海关 |
[31:07] | …and your Ministry of Health. | 跟你的卫生部门 |
[31:09] | You have to commit them to stopping the influx of black-market HIV drugs… | 你得要他们查缉 来自韩国跟巴基斯坦 |
[31:13] | …from Korea and Pakistan… | 以及 |
[31:15] | …and from wherever else they’re coming. | 来自其他地方的 黑市HIV药物 |
[31:21] | 35.8 percent of our adult population is infected. | 我国的成年人口 有百分之三十五点八得了爱滋病 |
[31:25] | Sixty percent of our hospital beds are occupied by people who are HIV-positive. | 六成的住院病人 是HIV带菌者 |
[31:32] | Our Institute of Policy Analysis says in the coming decade… | 我们的政策分析中心说 未来十年 |
[31:35] | …50 percent of all households in my country… | 我国有一半的家庭 |
[31:38] | …will have at least one member infected with HIV. | 家中至少有一个人 感染HIV病毒 |
[31:43] | To think I care about international patent law at a time like this is unrealistic. | 在这个时候要我遵守 国际专利法是不切实际的想法 |
[31:47] | Mr. President, the U.S. Department of Commerce… | 总统先生 美国商务部 |
[31:51] | …will put your country on a watch list. | 会将贵国列入观察名单 |
[31:54] | That’s the first step toward trade sanctions. | 这是贸易制裁的第一步 |
[31:56] | Our Congress could end all aid to your country. | 我们的国会 会停止援助贵国 |
[32:01] | Or you can agree to what we’re saying. | 你可以同意 我们的提议 |
[32:04] | In exchange for which we believe we can get Congress to forgive the debt… | 交换条件是我们相信 我们能让国会取消贵国的欠债 |
[32:08] | …on all your past development loans, and we believe the Export-Import Bank… | 包括以前所有的发展贷款 我们相信进出口银行 |
[32:13] | …will offer a billion dollars in loans to finance the purchase… | 会提供十亿的贷款 援助你们购买 |
[32:16] | …of American AIDS medication. | 美国的治疗爱滋病药物 |
[32:19] | – Congress won’t approve the loan. – Congress won’t have to, sir. | -国会不会批准贷款 -我们不需要国会批准 |
[32:23] | The Treasury and the State Department will review it… | 财政部跟国务院 会进行审查 |
[32:26] | …but if we spread the loans out over several countries in your region… | 但如果我们对 在你地区内的数个国家进行贷款 |
[32:31] | …and if none of the loans exceed $100 million… | 而且没有一笔贷款超过一亿 |
[32:34] | …we don’t need congressional approval. | 我们不需要国会的批准 |
[32:37] | That law might change soon. | 这项法令很快就会改变 |
[32:46] | It’s a terrible thing to beg for your life. | 求饶是一件可怕的事 |
[32:52] | Terrible. | 太可怕了 |
[32:55] | My father…. | 我父亲 |
[33:00] | “Proud. “ | “自豪” |
[33:02] | Proud. | 自豪 |
[33:04] | My father was a proud man. | 我父亲是个自豪的人 |
[33:07] | He built homes. | 他建立了家园 |
[33:10] | He wouldn’t like what I came here to do. | 他不会喜欢 我来这里做的事 |
[33:17] | Yes, he would, Mr. President. I swear to God he would. | 不,他会喜欢的,总统先生 我发誓他会喜欢的 |
[33:31] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你 |
[33:35] | Go tell Leo. | 去告诉里奥吧 |
[33:54] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[33:57] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[34:16] | Something you forgot to mention about the 95 percent of the money… | 你忘了提九成五的预算 |
[34:19] | …going into the classroom past the pork-barrel buffet… | 会先进行绑桩拨款 再流入教室里 |
[34:22] | …was that the school only got money if they did not distribute condoms. | 学校不发保险套 才能拿到钱 |
[34:25] | That’s a reason to veto it. | 所以总统要否决它 |
[34:27] | The thing our public schools need more than anything are free condoms. | 公立学校 最需要免费保险套 |
[34:31] | I’d definitely make that priority one. | 我会将它列为第一优先 |
[34:34] | – Where’s Leo? – He’s not here. | -里奥在哪里? -他不在 |
[34:39] | You look familiar to me. | 我觉得你很眼熟 |
[34:42] | You’re Aimsley Hayes. | 你是艾姆丝莉海耶斯 |
[34:43] | – Ainsley, with an N. – She works here now. | -是艾金丝莉,是金才对 -她现在在这里工作 |
[34:47] | – What? – Leo hired her. | -什么? -里奥雇用了她 |
[34:48] | – What? – Leo hired her. | -什么? -里奥雇用了她 |
[34:50] | He told me and C.J., he was waiting to tell you and Toby. | 他告诉我跟茜洁 他在找机会告诉你跟托比 |
[34:53] | – What was he waiting for? – How the hell do I know, Josh? | -他还在等什么? -我怎么知道?乔西 |
[34:56] | Waiting until he hired me, which he hasn’t done… | 他在等到他正式雇用我的时候 他还没有雇用我 |
[34:59] | – … because I’m not taking the job. – You’re not? | -因为我不会接受这份工作 -真的吗? |
[35:02] | No. But thank you for talking to me instead of about me. | 对,但谢谢你们跟我说话 而不是在我面前谈论我 |
[35:06] | Hang on, I’m back on he offered you the job, but you’re not taking the job? | 等一下,他提供你一份工作 但你不愿意接受? |
[35:10] | Why participate in the process when you can get a job commenting on it? | 为何要参与那份工作 当你的工作是公开批评它? |
[35:13] | You think I don’t want to work here… | 你以为我不想在这里工作 |
[35:16] | …because I can get a better gig on Geraldo? | 因为我在 《杰拉度》可以有更好的机会? |
[35:18] | Gosh, let’s see if there could possibly be any other reason why I wouldn’t… | 让我来想想看 我不想在这白宫工作 |
[35:22] | …want to work in this White House. | 是不是有其他的好理由 |
[35:24] | This White House that feels government is better for children than parents. | 这白宫认为政府应善待儿童 而忽视父母 |
[35:27] | That looks at 40 years of degrading and humiliating free lunches handed out… | 四十年来 我们提供品质低劣的免费午餐 |
[35:32] | …in a failed effort to level the playing field and says, ” Let’s try 40 more. “ | 没办法提高游乐场的质素 然后说“我们再试四十年吧” |
[35:37] | This White House that says of anyone, that points that out… | 这白宫说任何人 提出那个指控 |
[35:40] | …that they are cold and mean and racist… | 他们就是冷血残酷 他们是种族歧视份子 |
[35:43] | …and then accuses Republicans of using the politics of fear. | 然后他们指控共和党 利用恐惧政治学 |
[35:46] | This White House that loves the Bill of Rights. Except the second one. | 这白宫喜欢权利法案 但他们不喜欢第二份权利法案 |
[35:52] | This is the wrong place to talk about guns right now. | 我们不适合在这里 谈论枪只问题 |
[35:56] | – I thought your column was idiotic. – Imagine my surprise. | -我觉得你的专栏太愚蠢了 -我一点都不讶异 |
[36:01] | But for a brilliant surgical team and 2 centimeters of a miracle… | 但技术高明的外科医生们 和差两公分的距离创造了奇迹 |
[36:04] | …this guy’s dead right now, from bullets fired from a gun bought legally. | 不然这家伙早就死了 他被合法购得的枪枝所伤 |
[36:11] | They bought guns. They loaded them. They drove from Wheeling to Rosslyn. | 他们买了枪,装上子弹 玩起了罗斯林轮盘游戏 |
[36:15] | Until they pulled the trigger, they did not commit a crime. | 除非他们扣下板机 否则他们并没有罪 |
[36:17] | I am tired of the gun lobby tossing around words like ” personal freedom”… | 我厌倦了将玩枪嗜好 归类于“个人自由”的说法 |
[36:21] | …and nobody calling them on it. | 没有人会那么想 |
[36:22] | It’s not about personal freedom, and it has nothing to do with safety. | 那不是个人自由 这跟安全无关 |
[36:26] | It’s just that some people like guns. | 只不过是有些人喜欢枪 |
[36:29] | Yes, they do. | 对,他们喜欢枪 |
[36:32] | But you know what’s more insidious than that? | 但你知道 那潜伏了什么样的问题吗? |
[36:34] | Your gun control position doesn’t have anything to do with public safety… | 你们的枪枝管制政策 跟公众安全无关 |
[36:39] | …and it’s certainly not about personal freedom. | 那也跟个人自由无关 |
[36:41] | It’s about you don’t like people who do like guns. | 而是你们讨厌 喜欢枪的人 |
[36:46] | You don’t like the people. | 你们不喜欢那些人 |
[36:49] | Think about that the next time you make a joke about the South. | 下一次你们再拿南方来 开玩笑时想一想这一点 |
[36:52] | Where’s Leo? | 里奥在哪里? |
[36:54] | – What? – Where’s Leo? | -什么? -里奥在哪里? |
[36:55] | We don’t know. | 我们不知道 |
[36:58] | Charlie, you seen Leo? | 查理,你看到里奥了吗? |
[37:18] | We got a situation. | 出了状况 |
[37:24] | – Six hundred? – Yes, sir. | -六百吗? -是的 |
[37:25] | – Television and radio? – They have them. | -电视台跟电台呢? -都被他们拿走了 |
[37:27] | When do I see pictures of what I’m looking for? | 我什么时候能看到 我想看的照片? |
[37:29] | Ten minutes in the Situation Room. | 十分钟后战情室见 |
[37:31] | I want Fitzwallace and Nancy. | 我要见费兹华伦斯跟南西 |
[37:34] | We’re getting in the early CIC report. | 我们收到 作战情报中心的初步报告 |
[37:37] | – Donna, tell C.J. it’s an open lid. – She knows, they’re coming back. | -唐娜,告诉茜洁事情已经瞒不住了 -她知道,他们正要赶回来 |
[37:42] | Leo? | 里奥? |
[37:44] | Excuse us. Excuse me, everybody. | 对不起,大家听我说 |
[37:47] | Could we have the room a moment, please? | 请让我们单独谈一下 谢谢 |
[37:49] | Sam. | 山姆 |
[37:58] | Mr. President, three hours ago there was a coup in your country. | 总统先生,三小时前 贵国发生叛变 |
[38:02] | The AFRC has taken the capital. | AFRC占领了首都 |
[38:06] | – And my children? – We’re finding out. | -我的孩子们呢? -我们正在查 |
[38:08] | The information’s coming very quickly from our people in Angola and Sudan. | 我们在安哥罗跟苏丹的人 很快就会传回消息 |
[38:12] | Mr. President, I think you should sit. | 总统先生,我想你应该坐下 |
[38:14] | No, thank you. I’ll go now. | 不,谢谢你,我要离开了 |
[38:16] | No, no. Sir, my State Department is offering you asylum in the U.S. | 不,美国国务院 会提供庇护给你 |
[38:21] | Thank you, Mr. President, but I have to go home. | 谢谢你,总统先生 但我得回家去 |
[38:25] | You can’t go home. | You can’t go home. 你不能回去 你不能回去 |
[38:28] | – I’m their leader. – They have the capital. | -我是他们的领袖 -他们占领了首都 |
[38:30] | They have the radio station, they have the television station. | 他们占领了电台 他们占领了电视台 |
[38:37] | – Are there Americans on the ground? – I’m evacuating the embassy. | -我国境内还有美国人吗? -我正在撤离使馆 |
[38:42] | – Have they closed the airport? – Yes. | -他们关闭了机场? -对 |
[38:46] | They’ll want to arrest me. | 他们想逮捕我 |
[38:49] | They’ll want to put me on trial. | 他们想把我关进牢里 |
[38:51] | You should trade my return for the safe departure of the Americans. | 你应该把我交给他们 确保美国人能平安离开 |
[38:54] | I don’t need to trade you. | 我不需要拿你去做交换 |
[38:56] | If they won’t give me the Americans, we’ll go in. | 如果他们不放了美国人 我们就会攻过去 |
[38:58] | – They know that and they’ll let them go. – I’d like to call my embassy. | -他们很清楚,所以他们会放了美国人 -我要打电话给我的使馆 |
[39:03] | Your embassy is in exile, Mr. President. | 你的使馆已经流亡了,总统先生 |
[39:06] | They will shoot you the moment you step off the plane. | 你一下飞机 他们就会开枪杀了你 |
[39:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[39:13] | Please tell me what is in that message. | 请告诉我情况怎么样了 |
[39:26] | We think your brother and your two sons are already dead. | 我们认为你弟弟 跟两个儿子已经死了 |
[39:31] | We think your wife is being hidden in Kenya. | 你太太被藏在肯亚 |
[39:37] | You understand, don’t you, why I can’t offer military assistance? | 你了解我为什么 不能派军队帮你吧? |
[39:43] | Yes. | 是的 |
[39:48] | Sit with me for a moment. Sit down, sir. | 陪我坐一下,坐吧 |
[40:01] | And you know they just wanted to hire her so they could say they did. | 他们雇用她 只是想表现出自己的宽大 |
[40:05] | ” Look at us, we hired a Republican, look how bipartisan we are. | “看看我们,我们雇用了共和党员 看看我们有多遵守两党政治 |
[40:09] | We didn’t even notice that she looks like a Gap dancer. “ | 我们甚至没注意到 她长得像Gap的舞者” |
[40:12] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[40:14] | – Ainsley. – Hey. | -艾金丝莉 -嘿 |
[40:16] | – Bruce was telling me. – I couldn’t resist. | -布鲁斯跟我说过了 -我没办法拒绝 |
[40:18] | – So they tried to hire you? – How did McGarry’s face look? | -他们想雇用你? -马加瑞有什么表情? |
[40:22] | – What? – When you said no. | -什么? -当你拒绝他的时候 |
[40:25] | I couldn’t see him. | 我没有见到他 |
[40:29] | He had to…. | 他得 |
[40:31] | – He was called into… – What’s wrong? | -他被叫进 -发生了什么事? |
[40:34] | Nothing. He had to…. | 没事,他得 |
[40:39] | Something happened… | 出了一些状况 |
[40:40] | I wanted you to say it to his face. I wanted to see… | 我要你当他的面说出来 我要看到 |
[40:43] | I hate these people. | 我恨这些人 |
[40:44] | Did you meet anyone there who isn’t worthless? | 你有看到 任何不是废物的人吗? |
[40:46] | – Don’t say that. – Did you meet anyone there…? | -别那么说 -你有没有看到? |
[40:49] | I said, don’t say that. | 我要你别那么说 |
[40:53] | Say they’re smug and superior. | 你可以骂他们傲慢 看不起人 |
[40:56] | Say their approach to public policy makes you wanna tear your hair out. | 说他们的公共政策 可以气得你把头发扯光 |
[41:00] | Say they like high taxes and spending your money. | 你可以说他们喜欢高税率 花你辛苦赚来的钱 |
[41:03] | Say they want to take your guns and open your borders. | 你可以说他们想抢走你的枪 逼你打开门户 |
[41:06] | But don’t call them worthless. | 但别骂他们废物 |
[41:09] | At least don’t do it in front of me. | 至少别在我面前那么做 |
[41:12] | The people that I have met have been extraordinarily qualified. | 我看到的那些人 都有丰富的资历 |
[41:16] | Their intent is good. Their commitment is true. | 他们的出发点是好的 他们努力工作 |
[41:19] | They are righteous. And they are patriots. | 他们充满正义 他们都是爱国人士 |
[41:26] | And I’m their lawyer. | 我是他们的律师 (星期六早上) |
[41:38] | You ever read Paul Ehrlich’s book? | 你看过保罗奥利克的书了吗? |
[41:41] | – The Population Bomb? – Yeah. He wrote it in 1968. | -《人口炸弹》? -对,那是他在1968年的作品 |
[41:45] | Ehrlich said that it was a fantasy that India would ever feed itself. | 奥利克说印度能自己喂饱 该国的人口是个梦想 |
[41:49] | Then Norman Borlaug comes along. | 诺曼布若格出现了 |
[41:52] | The problem was that wheat is top-heavy. It was falling over on itself… | 问题是麦穗很重 它会把茎给压弯了 |
[41:56] | …and it took up too much space. | 它占据太大的空间 |
[41:59] | The dwarf wheat. | 侏儒麦子 |
[42:00] | Guys, it was an agricultural revolution… | 大伙们,那是农业革命 |
[42:03] | …that was credited with saving 1 billion lives. | 它救了十亿人 |
[42:12] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[42:18] | It happened? | 真的发生了? |
[42:20] | They executed him in the airport parking lot. | 他们在机场停车场 处决了他 |
[42:34] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[42:37] | I’ll see you Monday. | 星期一见 |