时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:08] | When did you decide you’d run for a second term? | 你什么时候决定 你要竞选连任? |
[00:10] | – I didn’t make the decision to run again. – We had a deal. | -我没有决定要竞选连任 -我们说好了 |
[00:13] | Andrew Jackson had a big block of cheese. | 安德鲁杰克森 有一大块起司 |
[00:17] | It’s Throw Open Our Office Doors to People… | 这是开放办公室 |
[00:19] | …Who Want to Discuss Things That We Could Care Less About Day. | 讨论我们不该理会的事的日子 有人要进急诊了 有人要进监狱了 |
[01:48] | Sam? | 山姆 |
[01:57] | – What day is this? – It’s Friday. | -今天是几号? -今天是星期五 |
[02:01] | I’m sorry, I meant… I’m sorry. What time is it? | 对不起,我是说抱歉 几点了? |
[02:05] | – You sleep here last night? – I’m sorry? | -昨晚你睡在这里? -你说什么? |
[02:08] | – You slept here? – I don’t have a couch in my office. | -你睡在这里? -我办公室没有沙发 |
[02:12] | Yeah, but you have a bed in your house, right? | 对,但你家里有床吧? |
[02:14] | – I need to change my shirt. – Maybe you need to go home for a while. | -我得换件衬衫 -或许你该回家一下 |
[02:18] | – What are you doing here so early? – Trying to avoid the protesters. | -你这么早来这里做什么? -我想避开抗议的人 |
[02:22] | Metro police closed a four-block radius around the World Bank… | 都会警察封闭了 世界银行周围四条街的范围 |
[02:25] | …and made Pennsylvania Avenue one-way from M to 21 st. | 让宾州大道从大街 到二十一街只能单向通行 |
[02:29] | 17th and 15th are closed to Independence Avenue… | 独立大道 从十七街到十五街封闭 |
[02:33] | …and Constitution’s closed between 23rd and the Ellipse. | 而立宪大道 从二十三街到日蚀街封闭 |
[02:36] | – Did you take Dupont? – Dupont had two turns closed off… | -你走都庞街吗? -都庞街有两个路口 |
[02:39] | …with metal barricades and cop cars. | 被拒马跟警车封锁 |
[02:42] | So I took P to Logan Circle, which was also blocked. | 所以我到洛根圆环 那里也被封锁了 |
[02:47] | So I made a U-turn and doubled back to get on 16th… | 于是我回转 绕回了十六街 |
[02:51] | …where there was a police cordon around the National Geographic Society. | 警察封锁了 国家地理协会四周 |
[02:55] | Who has a problem with the National Geographic Society? | 谁对国家地理协会有意见? |
[02:58] | – That’s exactly what I want to know. – Anyway, I’m gonna change my shirt. | -我也想知道 -反正我得换件衬衫 |
[03:03] | What’s going on with the pardon recommendations? | 特赦建议怎么了? |
[03:06] | They’re coming together. I’ve reviewed recommendations from Justice… | 它们一起来,我看过司法部 |
[03:10] | …and the OPA, and Tribbey’s office had its own. | 跟特赦律师办公室的建议 崔比的办公室也自行发表建议 |
[03:12] | – How many are you sending in? – Eighteen, I think, now. | -你发了多少封信? -我想是十八封 |
[03:15] | Mail fraud, securities fraud and the most bogus drug bust I’ve ever seen. | 信件错误,安全错误 跟我看过最大的伪药案 |
[03:20] | – Don’t retry the cases. – I’m not retrying. | -别重提这些案子 -我没有 |
[03:23] | I’m reading material I’m supposed to read, I’m making the recommendations. | 我在看我该看的东西 我正在做建议 |
[03:27] | The guy was tried in Spain and found guilty of a crime… | 这家伙在西班牙犯案 被判定有罪 |
[03:30] | – … he was too stupid to commit. – Sam, go home, would you? | -他太笨了才会去的罪 -山姆,回家去吧,好吗? |
[03:33] | – No. I’m just gonna change my shirt. – You look bad. You’re tired. | -不,我只需要换件衬衫 -你看起来糟透了,你累了 |
[03:37] | – You slept in the office, it’s Friday, go. – Why? | -你睡在办公室,今天是星期五,去吧 -为什么? |
[03:41] | Because you’re putting too much faith in the powers of a new shirt. | 因为你太相信 新衬衫的力量了 |
[03:44] | Josh told me what happened, with your parents. | 乔西告诉我 你爸妈的事了 |
[03:50] | – Sam? – Yeah. | -山姆 -什么事? |
[03:53] | – My father had affairs. – Did he? | -我爸也有外遇 -真的吗? |
[03:56] | Yeah. | 对 |
[03:57] | My father didn’t pick up a waitress. He’s had a woman in an apartment. | 我爸没有泡上女服务生 他金屋藏娇 |
[04:02] | – Yeah? – For 28 years. | -是吗? -长达二十八年 |
[04:05] | How’d he get caught? | 他怎么被逮到的? |
[04:07] | My father is stupider than the guy in Spain. | 我爸爸 比西班牙那家伙更笨 |
[04:10] | So the real question is, how did he not get caught until now? | 真正的问题是 他为什么到现在才被抓到? |
[04:14] | – Yeah. – I’ll see you at the staff meeting later. | -对 -待会幕僚会议上见 |
[04:21] | – Sam. – Yeah. | -山姆 -什么事? |
[04:26] | – When did you find out? – Tuesday. | -你什么时候发现的? -星期二 |
[04:28] | – You slept here the last three nights? – No. | -过去三晚你都睡在这里? -不 |
[04:31] | – Seriously, man, go home. – I’m gonna check the final OPA list. | -真的,你该回家了 -我要看一下特赦律师办公室清单 |
[04:34] | I’ll be checking it twice. See who’s been naughty, who’s been nice. | 我会检查两次 看看谁很顽皮,谁很乖 |
[04:38] | – Sam. – Life goes on, Leo. | -山姆 -生活得继续下去,里奥 |
[04:40] | Certainly the federal government does. So…. | 联邦政府当然会那么做 所以 |
[04:44] | – Thanks, but let’s drop it, okay? – Yeah. | -谢谢,但是别提那件事了,好吗? -好吧 |
[04:47] | They’re expecting trouble at the National Geographic Society? | 他们认为 国家地理协会会出事? |
[04:50] | I have no explanation. | 我不知道 |
[04:52] | Well, those postcards they stick in magazines drive me out of my mind. | 他们附在杂志里的明信片 逼得我抓狂 |
[04:56] | – So maybe…? – Yeah. | -或许 -对 |
[04:58] | I’ll see you later. | 待会见 |
[05:01] | Hey, Sam. This is Ginger. It’s 6:35. I’ve opened the communications office. | 山姆,我是金洁,现在是六点三十五分 我打开了媒体办公室 罗伯洛 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 珍妮尔摩隆奈 里察薛福 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 |
[05:53] | – It’s a good speech. – The Andrew Jackson speech. | -那是篇很棒的演说 -安德鲁杰克森演说 |
[05:57] | – It is a good speech. – Better every year, but… | -那是篇很棒的演说 -每年越来越棒,但是 |
[05:59] | – What? – You’re not gonna give it, right? | -什么? -你不会发表它,对吧? |
[06:02] | – Sure. – Why? | -当然会 -为什么? |
[06:03] | Because it’s Big Block of Cheese Day, Josh. | 因为它是大块起司日,乔西 |
[06:06] | Yeah, see, but we know it’s Big Block of Cheese Day… | 对,听着 我们知道这是大块起司日 |
[06:09] | …and we know why it’s called that, so there’s no need for the speech. | 我们也知道它的由来 所以不必发表演说 |
[06:13] | Except it wouldn’t be Big Block of Cheese Day without the speech. | 但没有演说 它就不是大块起司日 |
[06:17] | Well, let’s find out. Maybe it would. | 我们来看看吧,或许它会的 |
[06:19] | – How’d you get to work this morning? – I walked. | -今天早上你怎么来上班的? -我走路来的 |
[06:22] | – Yeah. – How is it out there? | -对 -外面情况如何? |
[06:24] | It’s pretty loud. | 很吵 |
[06:25] | World Policy Studies is holding a forum this morning, I’m gonna send Toby. | 世界政策研究会 今天早上要办论坛,我要派托比去 |
[06:29] | – That’s a good idea. – Why? | -那是个好点子 -为什么? 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 |
[06:31] | – Because you’re not sending me. – Look… | -因为你不派我去 -听着 |
[06:33] | Leo, the World Bank and the WTO are international organizations… | 里奥,世界银行跟世贸组织 是国际组织 制片:劳伦斯欧唐尼尔二世 |
[06:37] | …of which the U S. is one member. Why isn’t Switzerland the one…? | 美国是会员之一 为什么瑞士没有 |
[06:41] | They’re not protesting in Switzerland, they’re protesting on 18th Street. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 他们不是在瑞士抗议 他们在十八街抗议 |
[06:45] | And I don’t want to be asked how come no one ever met with them. | 我不想被问到 为什么没有人接见他们 |
[06:49] | Well, that seems reasonable. | 那似乎很合理 |
[06:50] | I can’t tell you how relieved I am to have your approval. | 制片:李维林威尔斯 我无法告诉你 你的批准让我有多开心 |
[06:53] | – But you’re gonna do the speech. – Got to. | 编剧:保罗瑞福,艾伦索金 -但你得发表演说 -去吧 |
[06:55] | – Yeah. – A little thing called team morale. | -对 -有个东西叫做团队士气 |
[06:58] | You gotta make people feel good about themselves. | 导演:洁西卡余 你得让大家 对自己有信心 |
[07:01] | All right. Shut up, everybody, I’ve fired more people than you before breakfast. | 好吧,大家闭嘴 我在早餐前开除了很多人 |
[07:10] | Andrew Jackson, in the main foyer of the White House… | 安德鲁杰克森 在白宫大厅 |
[07:15] | …had a big block of cheese. The block of cheese was huge… | 有块大起司 起司非常大 |
[07:20] | – Who made these assignments? – This’ll go faster if I’m not interrupted. | -里奥,谁做了这些安排? -如果我不被打断的话速度会更快 |
[07:24] | I’m meeting with the Organization of Cartographers for Social Equality? | 我要为了社会平等 跟制图师组织见面? |
[07:27] | What do mapmakers have to do with social equality? | 制图师 跟社会平等有什么关系? |
[07:30] | – I guess you’re about to find out. – Probably not, because I won’t listen. | -我猜很快你就会知道 -或许不会,因为我不会认真听 |
[07:34] | – The block of cheese was huge… – Excuse me, Leo. | -那块起司非常大 -对不起,里奥 |
[07:37] | I got NIH research funding for cancer treatment using shark cartilage. | 我得处理国立卫生研究院 为了治疗癌症使用鲨鱼软骨的资金问题 |
[07:40] | – I’ll take that. – What do you got? | -我会处理的 -你有什么问题? |
[07:42] | – Citizens for D. C. Statehood. – Forget it. | -要求华盛顿特区成为一州的请命案 -别管它 |
[07:45] | I’ve got Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle Society, but I’m keeping it. | 我要处理凯普雷德利海龟协会 但我会留下它 |
[07:47] | You’re all keeping it. | 你们都要留下它 |
[07:49] | I’m sure Margaret worked long and hard to make sure… | 我相信玛格丽特 一直都很努力要确定 |
[07:52] | …that the appropriate petitioner went to the appropriate staffer. | 所有的请愿案 能交给适当的幕僚去处理 |
[07:59] | The block of cheese was two tons… | 起司有两顿重 |
[08:02] | …and was there for any and all who might be hungry. | 为了提供给饥饿的人食用 |
[08:05] | – Excuse me, I was waylaid. – By what? | -对不起,我迟到了 -为什么? |
[08:08] | – Thirty thousand tourists. – The protesters. | -三万名观光客阻拦了我 -是抗议示威民众 |
[08:11] | I don’t call them protesters. I’ve seen better organized crowds at the DMV. | 我不会那么叫他们 我在监理所看到的人比他们有组织 |
[08:14] | – Two tons, this cheese… – In my day, we knew how to protest. | -这块起司有两顿重 -以前我们知道该怎么抗议 |
[08:17] | – What day was that? – 1968. | -那是什么时候的事? -1968年 |
[08:19] | How old were you when you were protesting? | 你上街示威抗议 是几岁的事? |
[08:22] | My sisters took me. | 我姐姐带我去的 |
[08:25] | – Anybody have a problem with that? – No one has a problem with that. | -有人有问题吗? -没有人有问题 |
[08:28] | The police are ahead of them. They know where they’ll be and what’ll happen. | 警察超前他们一步 他们知道他们会在哪里,会发生什么事 |
[08:32] | Know how? By logging on to their website. We had the underground. | 怎么呢?登入他们的网站 我们有派卧底的人过去 |
[08:35] | – We had rapid response. – And you were home by supper. | -我们的反应快速 -吃晚餐时你回到家 |
[08:39] | These are amateurs. What’s my assignment? | 这些人是业余玩家 我的工作是什么? |
[08:41] | Meeting with the amateurs. | 跟业余玩家见面 |
[08:44] | World Policy Studies is having a forum, there’ll be about 100 of them. | 世界政策研究会要办论坛 参加人数约一百人 |
[08:48] | – Doing what? – Listening to you… | -他们要做什么? -听你 |
[08:49] | …conduct a free exchange of ideas. | 让大家自由地交换意见 |
[08:52] | – Really? – Josh thinks it’s a good idea. | -真的吗? -乔西认为那是个好点子 |
[08:55] | Well, if Josh thinks it’s a good idea, then you bet, I’ll do it. | 如果乔西认为那是个好点子 我一定会去做 |
[08:58] | – What else is there? – Cartographers for Social Equality. | -还有什么事? -争取社会平等的的制图师 |
[09:02] | You have two choices. Meeting an unruly mob or meeting with lunatic mapmakers. | 你有两个选择,跟没有组织的暴民见面 或跟疯狂的制图师见面 |
[09:07] | Or getting paid a lot more working almost anywhere else. | 或是到别的地方 领更多的薪水 |
[09:10] | Seriously, there’ll be security there. | 说真的,那里会有警卫 |
[09:12] | – What about press? – Just wires. | -媒体呢? -他们只会做电话连线 |
[09:14] | – No, I mean TV. – No cameras. | -不,我是指电视 -没有摄影机 |
[09:16] | – You negotiated that? – Yeah. | -你沟通好了? -对 |
[09:19] | – They agreed to it? – You wanna make out with me now. | -他们同意? -你很感激我,是吧? |
[09:22] | Well, when don’t I? | 随时都是 |
[09:24] | – Give me the thing. – Okay, then. | -把东西给我 -好吧 |
[09:26] | Andrew Jackson, in the main foyer of the White House… | 安德鲁杰克森 在白宫大厅 |
[09:30] | …had a 2-ton block of cheese. | 放了两顿重的起司 |
[09:33] | And a Wheat Thin the size of Lake Tahoe. | 还有太�E湖大小的抓饼 |
[09:36] | It was there for any and all who were hungry. It was there for the voiceless. | 饿的人都能来吃它 那是给弱势团体的人吃的 |
[09:45] | – Stephanie. – Hi. | -史蒂芬妮 -嗨 |
[09:49] | – You look great. – Thank you. | -你看起来美极了 -谢谢 |
[09:51] | – Why are you talking like that? – I don’t want to shout. | -你为什么要那样说话? -我不想大叫 |
[09:54] | – We can use our normal voices. – I’ve never been in the White House. | -我们可以用一般的语调说话 -我从来没有来过白宫 |
[09:57] | – Later I’ll give you a tour. – Did I get you out of something? | -待会我会带你去参观 -我打扰了你吗? |
[10:00] | We’re not allowed to give tours until after 10:00… | 根据规定 十点后才能开始参观 |
[10:03] | …when the president’s out of the West Wing. Come with me. | 这时总统已经离开西厢了 跟我来 |
[10:06] | – The president works until 10:00? – He works after that. | -总统十点就下班了? -他十点开始上班 |
[10:09] | But he leaves the Oval at 10. We’ll go in Josh’s office. | 但他会在十点离开椭圆形办公室 我们得到乔西的办公室 |
[10:16] | I am getting you out of something, right? | 我打扰了你,对吧? |
[10:18] | You got me out of the Big Block of Cheese Day meeting. | 你让我逃过 大块起司日会议 |
[10:21] | – What’s…? – I had the feeling you were gonna ask. | -那是 -我就知道你会问 |
[10:24] | Andrew Jackson had, in the main foyer of the White House… | 安德鲁杰克森 在白宫大厅 |
[10:28] | …I can’t believe I’m giving this speech, a 2-ton block of cheese. | 我不敢相信我要发表这篇演说 放了块两顿重的起司 |
[10:31] | In that spirit, Leo McGarry designates one day for senior staff members… | 根据那样的精神,里奥马加瑞 为资深幕僚设计了一天 |
[10:35] | …to take appointments with people that wouldn’t ordinarily… | 接见一般无法 |
[10:38] | – … get the ear of the White House. – Sounds amazing. | -进入白宫的人 -听起来很棒 |
[10:41] | We make a lot of fun of it, but truth is, I think it is. | 我们觉得很好玩 但事实上我真的觉得很好玩 |
[10:47] | – I’m sorry to… – Oh, yeah. | -我很抱歉 -对 |
[10:58] | Were you able to mention me to Sam Seaborn? | 你可以 跟山姆希朋提起我吗? |
[11:00] | – I wasn’t. I haven’t yet, and I apologize. – No, that’s okay. | -不行,我还没有那么做,抱歉 -不,没关系 |
[11:04] | – It’s been a bad week for Sam. – From everything I’ve been told… | -山姆这星期很难熬 -我从听到的消息知道 |
[11:08] | …the president listens to Sam when it comes to…. | 总统会听山姆的话 只要是关于 |
[11:11] | Yeah. | 对 |
[11:15] | I should have said this on the phone. | 我应该在电话里跟你提 |
[11:18] | – I’m not that comfortable with… – That’s… | -我不善于 -那是 |
[11:20] | It puts him in an awkward position if he has to say no. | 如果他得拒绝 那么他一定会很为难 |
[11:23] | And something like this, if it seems like a favor…. | 发生这样的事 看起来像是在求人帮忙 |
[11:31] | Steph, is your dad dying? | 史蒂芬妮,你爸爸快死了吗? |
[11:38] | Okay, listen. When we’re in with Sam… | 好吧,听我说 见到山姆后 |
[11:42] | …mention you’ve heard he’s the man. He’ll want to impress you and show… | 告诉他你听说他是最佳人选 他会想取悦你,表现出 |
[11:47] | – … he’s got access to the president. – Wait a minute. | -他可以跟总统谈的样子 -等一下 |
[11:50] | – You’re getting me in? It’s all right? – Yeah. It’s Big Block of Cheese Day. | -你要把我弄进去?可以吗? -可以,今天是大块起司日 |
[12:01] | It’s me. I need some time with Sam. | 是我,我要跟山姆谈一谈 |
[12:12] | I don’t need to see the 10-year numbers. | 我不需要看十年的数字 |
[12:14] | It’d be a good idea to look at them. | 看看它们会是个好点子 |
[12:16] | Have those projections ever been close to accurate? | 这些计划都很精准吗? |
[12:19] | – Depends what you mean. – Within a trillion dollars. | -看得视你的定义而定 -范围是一兆元 |
[12:21] | No, but we’d like you to look at them. | 不,但我们要你看看它们 |
[12:24] | Bring me the 10-year projections, a Ouija board and a magic wand. | 将十年计划交给我 我还要碟仙盘跟魔杖 |
[12:27] | – Yes, sir. Thank you. – What’s next? | -是的,谢谢你 -接下来是什么? |
[12:29] | I need to discuss a fax that’s come in. | 我要谈谈刚刚传来的传真 |
[12:31] | – From whom? – Jonathan Bartlet. | -谁传来的? -强纳生巴特勒 |
[12:33] | – That name sounds familiar. – He’s your brother. | -那个名字听起来好熟 -他是你弟弟 |
[12:35] | I remember being locked in a steamer trunk. | 我记得我被锁在蒸汽卡车里 |
[12:37] | – That doesn’t sound so bad. – There were steamers in there with me. | -那听起来还不错 -我旁边就是蒸汽机 |
[12:41] | – I was in there with seafood. – Okay. | -我跟海鲜被关在一起 -好吧 |
[12:44] | – Well, here’s the thing… – We lost the site? | -有一件事 -我们丢了那个地方吗? |
[12:46] | – You lost the first choice. – Why? | -你失去第一选择权 -为什么? |
[12:48] | Your brother’s speaking with Neda Wallin… | 你弟弟跟纳达华林谈过 |
[12:50] | …counsel to the Bartlet Presidential Library Commission. | 他是巴特勒总统 图书馆委员会的顾问 |
[12:53] | The site violates the Historic Barn and Bridges Preservation Act. | 那个地点侵犯到历史保留区 违反了桥梁保留法案 |
[12:56] | – Which says? – I’ve got it here in my notes. | -那是什么意思? -我都记起来了 |
[13:00] | Requires that all non-housing farm and ranch structures built prior to 1900… | 规定1900年前兴建的农舍 或牧场 |
[13:05] | …be preserved unless destroyed by an act of God. | 都得加以保留 除非是受到天灾摧毁 |
[13:08] | What plaid-flannel-wearing, cheese-eating yahoo of a milkman governor… | 哪个穿着法兰绒,吃着起司 的笨蛋牛奶工人州长 |
[13:13] | …signed that idiot bill into state law? | 让这个白痴法案成为州法令? |
[13:20] | – It was me, wasn’t it? – Yes, sir. | -是我干的,对吧? -是的,长官 |
[13:23] | – Okay. – They’d like to go with the second site. | -好吧 -他们想找第二个地点 |
[13:27] | – Yeah. Go ahead. – Thank you, sir. | -好吧,去吧 -谢谢长官 |
[13:30] | – No. – I’m sorry? | -不 -你说什么? |
[13:32] | No, don’t go ahead with the site. | 不,别去找第二个地点 |
[13:35] | I just… Tell my brother to hang on, would you? I’ll make a decision. | 我只是告诉我弟弟撑下去 好吗?我会做出决定 |
[13:40] | – I don’t know what the damn hurry is. – Yes, sir. | -我不知道这为什么很急 -是的,长官 |
[13:44] | Bonnie, I now need the 10-year OMB projections as well. | 邦妮,我也需要 十年的联邦紧急救援事务署计划 |
[13:48] | – Are those ever accurate? – No. | -它们很精准吗? -不 |
[13:50] | – And you got another call from… – Thanks. | -你有另一通电话是来自 -谢谢 |
[13:54] | – Sam? – Oh, hey, how you doing? | -山姆 -你好吗? |
[13:56] | Sam, this is Stephanie Gault. Stephanie, this is Sam. | 山姆,这位是史蒂芬妮葛特 史蒂芬妮,这位是山姆 |
[14:00] | – It’s good to meet you. – Come on in. | -很高兴能见到你 -请进 |
[14:02] | Stephanie and I were at Wisconsin together. | 史蒂芬妮跟我 是在威尼康辛认识的 |
[14:04] | We bonded as a result of a mutual loathing for the same ex-boyfriend. | 我们因为憎恨 同一个前男友而成为好友 |
[14:09] | She’s a professor of International Relations at the Maxwell School. | 她是麦斯威尔学院的 国际关系教授 |
[14:12] | What are you doing in town? | 你到城里来做什么? |
[14:14] | Believe it or not, I advise the WTO in certain areas of macroeconomics. | 信不信由你,我在某些部份 对世贸组织做出总体经济学的建议 |
[14:18] | So a global monetary crisis can’t be very far off. | 所以全球金融风暴 才不会太严重 |
[14:22] | – What can I do for you? – My grandfather was Daniel Gault. | -有什么需要我效劳的? -我祖父是丹尼尔葛特 |
[14:27] | – Really? – Yeah. | -真的吗? -对 |
[14:30] | – You know who Daniel Gault was? – He was a staffer here in the ’40s. | -你知道谁是丹尼尔葛特? -他在四十年代当过白宫幕僚 |
[14:33] | He was a special economic assistant to FDR… | 他是罗斯福总统的 特别经济助理 |
[14:36] | …and special liaison to State for Eastern European Affairs. | 也是国务院东欧事务 的特别联络人 |
[14:41] | – Donna knows the rest. – He was jailed for espionage… | -其他的事唐娜都知道了 -他因为间谍罪入狱 |
[14:44] | – … and died in prison six months later. – He wasn’t in jail for espionage. | -六个月后死在牢里 -他不是因为间谍案入狱 |
[14:48] | They couldn’t make espionage. He was in jail for lying in front of HUAC. | 他们不可能是间谍 他因为对国会非美活动委员会说谎坐牢 |
[14:52] | Sam, Stephanie would like her grandfather included… | 山姆,史蒂芬妮希望她祖父 |
[14:55] | …among those being considered for an executive pardon. | 也能被列入特赦名单 |
[14:59] | From everything I’ve learned, you’re the person to speak to about this. | 我听说你有办法说服总统 |
[15:02] | That you have the ear of the president. | 总统会听你说的话 |
[15:07] | Yeah. | 对 |
[15:10] | It’s impossible to demonstrate remorse since he’s no longer alive. | 因为他已经过世了 我们无法特赦他 |
[15:14] | Demonstrating his innocence is extremely complicated. | 要证明他是无辜的 真的很复杂 |
[15:18] | – Yes, but you’ve already done it. – Excuse me? | -对,但你已经做到了 -你说什么? |
[15:21] | You’ve already demonstrated his innocence, and in a compelling way. | 你已经用强迫的方式 证明了他的无辜 |
[15:26] | You’ve also spoken on the need for his pardon. | 你还呼吁特赦他 |
[15:28] | – When did I do that? – At Princeton. | -我什么时候那么做过? -在普林斯顿的时候 |
[15:32] | For 23 pages in the middle of your thesis. | 你在论文中 有二十三页提到这件事 |
[15:35] | – Where did you get that? – You sent it to my father. | -你怎么会知道? -你把它寄给我父亲 |
[15:40] | I did. | 没错 |
[15:42] | I know it doesn’t seem there should be a rush… | 我知道我不该这么急 |
[15:45] | …about getting a pardon for someone who’s been dead 50 years… | 让一个过世五十年的人 获得特赦 |
[15:48] | – … but time’s become a factor. – Your father’s sick? | -但我在跟时间赛跑 -你爸爸生病了? |
[15:53] | Yeah. | 对 |
[15:55] | You guys wanna go to the mess and get some coffee or something? | 你们愿意穿过人群 去喝杯咖啡吗? |
[15:59] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[16:11] | – Toby Ziegler. – Yeah. | -托比齐格 -对 |
[16:18] | Rhonda, this guy coming in is Toby Ziegler. | 朗达,进来的人是托比齐格 |
[16:21] | Copy that. | 知道了 |
[16:24] | – Mr. Ziegler? – Yes, ma’am. | -齐格先生吗? -我就是 |
[16:25] | They asked me to make sure you go home in one piece. | 他们要我确定 你能平安回家 |
[16:28] | – You fully trained? – Yes. | -你受过完整训练? -是的 |
[16:30] | – How many ways do you know to kill? – How many ways do I need? | -你会几种杀人方法? -我需要几种? |
[16:33] | – I like you. – Thank you. | -我喜欢你 -谢谢 |
[16:35] | – Officer Sachs? – Yeah. | -沙奇警官吗? -是的 |
[16:37] | It’s gonna be a day at the beach. | 这将会是轻松的一天 |
[16:40] | – You do understand how it works? – Yeah. | -你知道该怎么做? -对 |
[16:42] | Recommendations come from the OPA, Office of the Pardon Attorney. | 来自特赦律师办公室的建议 |
[16:46] | Then the president gets into it and often… | 然后总统会加以研究 通常 |
[16:49] | …sends it to counsel’s office for further review. | 会把它送到顾问办公室 做进一步的研究 |
[16:52] | – It can be a drawn-out process. – Yeah. | -过程会非常漫长 -是的 |
[16:56] | What I’m gonna do today is speak to somebody at the Justice Department. | 今天我只能 跟司法部的人谈一谈 |
[16:59] | Which branch of Justice? | 司法部的哪个部门? |
[17:01] | – The FBI. – Sam. | -联邦调查局 -山姆 |
[17:02] | I won’t start in on this without giving them a heads-up. | 我得先起个头 才能开始动手做 |
[17:05] | My father requested the file in the late ’70s and was denied. | 我爸爸在七十年代末期 跟他们要档案遭到了拒绝 |
[17:09] | He sued under Freedom of Information. | 他以妨碍资讯自由的罪名 提出控告 |
[17:11] | The judge ruled the file couldn’t be disclosed… | 法官裁示档案不该公开 |
[17:13] | …because it met three of nine exemptions. | 因为它符合了九项要件中的三项 |
[17:15] | National defense and foreign relations information… | 国防机密跟外交资讯 |
[17:18] | …internal agency rules and practices and personal privacy. | 内部部门规定及运作 还有个人隐私 |
[17:21] | All because the FBI is embarrassed about this period in their history. | 这都是因为联邦调查局 对他们当时的作为感到丢脸 |
[17:24] | I know, and that’s why I have to give them a heads-up. | 我知道,所以我得 先帮他们开个头 |
[17:28] | Does Donna know how to get in touch? I’ll tell you how it’s going. | 唐娜知道怎么跟你联络吗? 我会告诉你最新进展 |
[17:32] | – We have your number? – Yeah. | -我们有你的电话号码吗? -当然有 |
[17:33] | Actually, we’re meeting for dinner tonight. | 事实上 今晚我们要一起吃晚餐 |
[17:36] | Stephanie, the reason I mentioned that it could be a drawn-out process…. | 史蒂芬妮 我跟你说过程会很漫长是因为 |
[17:41] | I understand. I just need to be able to give him some good news. | 我了解,我只是需要 给他一些好消息 |
[17:44] | He’s a sweet man in a bow tie, Sam. His father…. | 他是个温和的好人,山姆 他父亲 |
[17:50] | – He’s been trying for so long to… – Yeah. Okay, I’ll see you later, then. | -他一直都很努力 -好吧,那么待会见 |
[17:55] | – Hey, Steph. – Hey, Josh. | -嘿,史蒂芬妮 -嘿,乔西 |
[17:57] | You’re across the street in five minutes. | 五分钟内你得过街 |
[17:59] | – I’m walking out with you. – Sam, thank you. | -我跟你一起出去 -山姆,谢谢你 |
[18:03] | Yeah. | 对 |
[18:07] | – You on the Gault thing? – Yeah. | -你要处理盖特的事? -对 |
[18:09] | – That’s nice of you. I appreciate that. – Yeah. I’ll give the Bureau a heads-up. | -你真的太好心了,谢谢 -对,我会帮联邦调查局起个头 |
[18:13] | – They’re not gonna be happy about it. – No kidding. | -他们会不高兴 -你说的对 |
[18:17] | Did you know Lincoln signed a pardon on the day he was assassinated? | 你知道林肯被暗杀了那天 签了一份特赦令吗? |
[18:21] | – You know the name? – Patrick Murphy. | -你知道那个人的名字吗? -派翠克墨菲 |
[18:23] | – What he was pardoned for? – Union deserter. | -他为什么需要特赦? -他反对联邦制 |
[18:25] | – Am I annoying you? – Yeah. | -我惹毛你了吗? -对 |
[18:26] | – Trying to make you laugh. – I appreciate it. | -我想逗你笑 -谢谢你 |
[18:28] | – Can I see your friend at the FBI? – Yeah, can I tell him why? | -我能见见你在联邦调查局的朋友吗? -可以,我能告诉他为什么吗? |
[18:32] | Yeah. | 可以 |
[18:34] | Hey, you wanna have a lot of fun? Seriously? | 你想玩一玩吗? 你是认真的吗? |
[18:37] | C.J. ‘s meeting with the Organization of Cartographers for Social Equality. | 茜洁要跟为社会平等 请愿的制图师组织见面 |
[18:42] | Where’s the social inequality in cartography? | 社会平等 跟制图有什么关系? |
[18:44] | – That’s why I’m going. – You’ll call? | -所以我要去看看 -你要过去? |
[18:46] | Yeah. That a new shirt? | 对,那是新衬衫吗? |
[18:48] | – Yeah. – Nice. | -对 -很好看 |
[19:01] | – Fire your gun. – I can’t fire a warning shot indoors. | -开枪吧 -我不能在室内鸣枪示警 |
[19:06] | No, I mean fire at them. | 不,我是说对他们开枪 |
[19:08] | Just kidding. | 我只是在开玩笑 |
[19:12] | Hey, Solzhenitsyn. Come here. Are you the group leader? | 索忍尼辛,快过来 你是他们的头头吗? |
[19:16] | Yeah. I’m Terry Webber. | 对,我是泰瑞韦伯 |
[19:18] | You know what you did today that was stupid? You gave away the cameras. | 你知道你今天的行为很愚蠢吗? 你没有摄影机 |
[19:22] | With cameras here I’ve got a problem. | 摄影机来了 我的麻烦就大了 |
[19:24] | I don’t want to look like I can’t control the crowd. | 我不希望大家觉得 我无法控制群众 |
[19:26] | Without the cameras, I could read the sports section for two hours… | 没有摄影机 我可以看两小时的体育版 |
[19:30] | …walk outside and say we talked. | 走出去说我们谈过了 |
[19:32] | So if you guys want to talk, you’re in charge of crowd control. | 如果你们想谈 你得控制住群众 |
[19:36] | – You know what I’m saying? – Yeah. | -你了解我的意思吗? -对 |
[19:40] | Folks! People! Let’s listen up! | 大伙们,听我说 |
[19:50] | Good morning. | 早安 |
[19:54] | My name is Toby Ziegler. I’m the White House communications director… | 我是托比齐格 我是白宫媒体主任 |
[20:00] | …and senior domestic policy advisor. | 也是资深国内政策顾问 |
[20:02] | Advise him we need clean air more than free trade! | 建议他我们需要干净的空气 而不是自由贸易 |
[20:05] | How many 12-year-olds made your shoes, Toby? | 有多少十二岁的孩子 帮你做鞋子,托比? |
[20:08] | Global justice now! | Global justice now! 全球正义! 全球正义! |
[20:12] | Global justice now! | Global justice now! 全球正义! 全球正义! |
[20:16] | – Global justice now! – Wanna send out for a pizza? | -全球正义! -你想出去吃块披萨吗? |
[20:18] | Global justice now! | Global justice now! 全球正义! 全球正义! |
[20:30] | – Yes, sir? – I’m here to see Special Agent Casper. | -有什么事吗? -我来见特别探员凯斯普 |
[20:32] | – My name’s Sam Seaborn. – Seaborn? | -我是山姆希朋 -希朋? |
[20:36] | – Yeah. – I’m sorry, I’m not seeing your name. | -对 -抱歉,我没看到你的名字 |
[20:39] | – Agent Casper knows you’re coming? – Sam. | -凯斯普探员知道你要来吗? -山姆 |
[20:48] | How you doing, Mike? | 你好吗?麦克 |
[20:53] | Just requesting the file on Daniel Gault… | 来要丹尼尔葛特的档案 |
[20:56] | …is so wildly outside the parameters of your authority as an appointee… | 远远超过你的工作权限 |
[21:00] | Mike, you guys got it wrong and you know it. | 麦克,你们弄错了 你很清楚 |
[21:02] | – Really? – Yes. | -真的吗? -对 |
[21:04] | What else do I know? | 我还知道什么? |
[21:06] | Michael, I gave you the heads-up as a courtesy. | 麦克,我是礼貌性地 帮你开个头 |
[21:08] | I don’t need permission to go to the OPA. | 我不需要批准 就能进入特赦律师办公室 |
[21:11] | – I don’t need permission to tell the press. – He did six months for a capital crime. | -我不需要批准就能告诉媒体 -他因为犯罪坐了六个月的牢 |
[21:15] | – Now you want a pardon? – Six months for perjury… | -现在你要特赦他? -他因为做伪证坐了六个月的牢 |
[21:18] | – … before dying of a heart attack. – You know why? | -之后死于心脏病发作 -你知道为什么吗? |
[21:21] | – Prosecutor couldn’t make espionage. – Right. | -检察官无法说他犯了间谍罪 -对 |
[21:23] | – Why do you suppose that was? – I don’t suppose, I know. | -你为什么会那么猜测? -我不是猜测,我知道 |
[21:26] | – Because the U S. attorney blew it. – 12 jurors say no, and… | -因为美国法务部搞砸了 -十二位陪审员说他无罪,所以 |
[21:29] | The man was named by Joe McCarthy… | 麦卡锡点名那个人 |
[21:31] | – The ” 20 years of treason”? – Yes. | -“叛国二十年”? -对 |
[21:33] | Which was called a “conspiracy on a scale so immense… | 那叫做“大规模阴谋叛国 |
[21:36] | …as to dwarf any previous venture in history. “ | 以掩饰之前的历史错误” |
[21:39] | Somebody wake me up. You deputized Joe McCarthy into your argument. | 快叫醒我 你把麦卡锡扯了进来 |
[21:42] | – My point… – You know who else was on that list? | -我的意思是 -你知道谁也在名单上吗? |
[21:44] | General George Marshall, author of the Marshall Plan and mentor to Eisenhower. | 马歇尔将军 马歇尔计划的作者跟艾森豪的导师 |
[21:48] | – After he won WWII. – We made more than we missed. | -那时他打赢了二次大战 -我们宁可错杀一百都不能放过一人 |
[21:51] | Owen Lattimore, I. F. Stone. | 欧文拉提莫,别号石头 |
[21:53] | Not everybody at State was wrongly accused. | 美国没有人会被冤枉 |
[21:55] | You rounded up some dangerous TV comedy writers. Ring Lardner just died. | 你忘了一些危险的 电视喜剧编剧,林格拉德纳刚过世 |
[22:01] | How many years does he get back? | 他出狱多少年了? |
[22:05] | Listen. The Bureau’s had moments in its past that it’s not proud of. | 听着,联邦调查局 有段不值得骄傲的过去 |
[22:10] | If we comb through the fine print of history we might find… | 如果我们对历史抽丝剥茧 我们会发现 |
[22:13] | …one or two occupants of the Oval Office who could say the same. | 椭圆形办公室的 有些人会那么说 |
[22:17] | But the difference is, our failures are public and our successes are private. | 但不同之处是我们的失败 会被公开,成功壮举却是机密 |
[22:22] | When we apprehend an enemy of the state, like, say… | 我们逮捕全民公敌时 譬如说 |
[22:24] | …a member of West Virginia White Pride… | 西维吉尼亚“白人至上”的成员 |
[22:26] | …we don’t take a curtain call on Sunday with Sam and Cokie. | 我们不会在星期天 跟山姆及库奇一起上节目 |
[22:29] | When it wasn’t the Secret Service who ordered the canopy down in Rosslyn… | 在罗斯林 不是秘勤局下令收起帐篷 |
[22:33] | …we kept it to ourselves. | 这件事我们守口如瓶 |
[22:35] | Please, God, Mike, tell me you weren’t just threatening Toby Ziegler. | 拜托,天啊,麦克 告诉我你没有威胁托比齐格 |
[22:39] | – I wasn’t, Sam. – Good. | -我没有,山姆 -很好 |
[22:41] | Yeah. | 对 |
[22:44] | Anyway, ” because the Bureau will be embarrassed ” isn’t a good enough reason. | 总之“因为联邦调查局 会很丢脸”不是个好理由 |
[22:48] | I’m putting Daniel Gault on the list. I just wanted to give you a heads-up. | 我将丹尼尔葛特列在名单上 我只是想先通知你 |
[22:52] | – Anything else? – No. | -还有别的事吗? -没有了 <要求社会平等的> <制图师组织> |
[23:05] | – Hi, I’m sorry. – Hello. | -嗨,对不起 -抱歉 |
[23:07] | – Sorry to be late. – Not a problem. | -抱歉我迟到了 -没关系 |
[23:09] | – I’m C.J. Cregg. – Of course. | -我是茜洁葛瑞 -当然 |
[23:11] | I’m Dr. John Fallow, this is Dr. Cynthia Sayles and Professor Donald Huke. | 我是约翰法洛博士,他们是 辛西雅赛勒斯博士跟唐纳德胡克教授 |
[23:16] | – Huke? – Huke. | -胡克? -对 |
[23:18] | Okay. And you are the Organization of Cartographers for Social Equality. | 好吧,你们是要求 要求社会平等的制图师组织 |
[23:22] | We’re from the OCSE. We have many members. | 我们是要求社会平等的制图师组织 我们有很多成员 |
[23:25] | – How many? – 4300 dues-paying members. | -有多少位? -四千三百位付费会员 |
[23:27] | – What are the dues? – $20 a year for the newsletter. | -那些费用是做什么用的? -一年付二十块可以拿到会刊 |
[23:30] | – Let’s start. – Wait, wait, I want to see this. | -我们开始吧 -等一下,我要看看这个 |
[23:34] | – This is Josh Lyman. – Indeed you are. | -这是乔西赖曼 -没错 |
[23:37] | – Josh, this is Dr. Fallow and… – Hi. | -潜西,他们是法洛博士跟 -嗨 |
[23:39] | – … his merry men. – Yes. | -他的会员 -对 |
[23:41] | – Should we begin? – Yes. | -我们可以开始了吗? -是的 |
[23:45] | Plain and simple, we’d like President Bartlet to strongly support legislation… | 事情很简单 我们希望巴特勒总统支持立法 |
[23:50] | …making it mandatory for every public school to teach geography… | 要求所有公立学校在教地理时 |
[23:54] | …using the Peters Projection Map instead of the traditional Mercator. | 都要使用彼德斯投影地图 而不是传统的麦卡托投影地图 |
[23:58] | – Give me 200 bucks and it’s done. – Really? | -给我两百块就行了 -真的吗? |
[24:00] | No. Why are we changing maps? | 不,我们为什么要换地图? |
[24:03] | The Mercator projection has fostered European imperialist attitudes… | 麦卡托投影地图 数世纪来用 |
[24:08] | …for centuries and created an ethnic bias against the Third World. | 欧洲帝国角度的眼光来看世界 在种族上歧视第三世界 |
[24:11] | – Really? – The German cartographer, Mercator… | -真的吗? -德国制图师麦卡托 |
[24:14] | …originally designed this map in 1569… | 在1569年 划出这张地图 |
[24:18] | …as a navigational tool for European sailors. | 当做欧洲水手航行的工具 |
[24:20] | The map enlarges areas at the poles to create… | 地图在极地的部份 放大以便创造出 |
[24:23] | …lines of constant bearing or geographic direction. | 连续的线条或地理方向 |
[24:26] | So it makes it easier to cross an ocean. | 那样子越过海洋会比较容易 |
[24:28] | But it distorts the relative size of nations and continents. | 但它扭曲了 国家跟大陆的相对大小 |
[24:33] | – Are you saying the map is wrong? – Oh, dear, yes. Look at Greenland. | -你是说那张地图是错的? -天啊,没错,看看格钞兰 |
[24:38] | – Okay. – Now look at Africa. | -好吧 -看看非洲 |
[24:41] | – Okay. – The two landmasses appear… | -好吧 -两块大陆看起来 |
[24:43] | – … to be roughly the same size. – Yes. | -大约一样大 -对 |
[24:45] | Would it blow your mind if I told you that Africa is, in reality, 14 times larger? | 如果我告诉你非洲要大上十四倍 你会很讶异吗? |
[24:50] | Yes. | 对 |
[24:53] | Here we have Europe drawn larger than South America… | 我们把欧洲划得 比南非大 |
[24:56] | …when at 6. 9 million square miles, South America is almost double… | 但事实上南非有六百九十万平方里 几乎是 |
[25:00] | …the size of Europe’s 3.8 million. | 三百八十万平方里大的欧洲的两倍 |
[25:02] | Alaska appears three times as large as Mexico… | 阿拉斯加 看起来是墨西哥的三倍大 |
[25:05] | …when Mexico is larger by 0. 1 million square miles. | 事实上墨西哥比它 大十万平方里 |
[25:08] | Germany appears in the middle, when it’s in the northernmost quarter. | 德国位置在中间 它是在最北的部份 |
[25:12] | Wait, wait. Relative size is one thing, but you’re telling me… | 等一下,相对大小是一回事 但你是在告诉我 |
[25:15] | – … Germany isn’t where we think? – Nothing’s where you think. | -德国不在我们想像的位置上? -所有国家的位置都错了 |
[25:18] | – Where is it? – I’m glad you asked. | -它在哪里? -我很高兴你会问我 |
[25:24] | The Peters Projection. | 彼德斯投影地图 |
[25:27] | – It has fidelity of axis. – Fidelity of position. | -它符合地球�b心 -它符合位置 |
[25:31] | East-west lines are parallel and intersect north-south axes at right angles. | 东西线平行 南北线交错在正确的角度 |
[25:35] | What the hell is that? | 那是什么东西? |
[25:37] | It’s where you’ve been living this whole time. Should we continue? | 那就是你一直居住的地方 我们要继续下去吗? |
[25:44] | I’m not saying we’ll like the answers. I’m saying we’ll give him a chance! | 我不是说我们要答案 我是说我们该给他一个机会 |
[25:48] | – Now, if you have a question… – My question is, who elected his boss? | -如果你有问题 -我的问题是谁选出他的老板? |
[25:52] | – The people or Kaiser Permanente? – He’s not my president. Let’s vote. | -人民或健康保险公司? -他不是我的总统,我们来投票吧 |
[26:02] | – You’re having a pretty good time. – If you do have a question… | -你蛮享受的嘛 -如果你真的有问题 |
[26:05] | – Well, it’s not like a Yankee game. – You suck! | -这不是洋基队的比赛 -你烂透了 |
[26:09] | Well, actually, yeah, it’s like being at a Yankee game. | 事实上 这像是洋基队的比赛 |
[26:13] | – So, Toby? – Officer. | -托比 -警官 |
[26:15] | Since you’re not really doing anything, I was wondering, what’s this about? | 既然你什么事都没做 我不知道这是怎么一回事? |
[26:20] | It’s about the WTO, Rhonda, the World Trade Organization. | 这跟世贸组织有关,朗达 世界贸易组织 |
[26:23] | I get that from the signs and the newspapers. | 我从标语及报纸知道这一点 |
[26:27] | The World Trade Organization’s a group of 140 countries… | 世界贸易组织 由一百四十个国家组成 |
[26:30] | …who have agreed to a specific trade policy. | 他们都同意 制定特殊贸易政策 |
[26:33] | – So, what’s wrong with that? – Nothing’s wrong with that. | -那有什么不对? -那没有什么不对 |
[26:37] | – What would they say if I asked them? – WTO benefits corporations, not people. | -如果我问他们,他们会怎么说? -世贸组织图利公司而不是人民 |
[26:43] | – Does it? – It benefits both. | -真的吗? -它让双方获利 |
[26:48] | – Look at them. – Yeah. | -看看他们 -对 |
[26:49] | – Philistines. – Take my nightstick and kick their ass. | -非利士人 -拿我的警棍去打他们吧 |
[26:53] | Make all the jokes you want, but let me tell you. | 你想开玩笑随便你 但我得告诉你 |
[26:55] | They claim to speak for the underprivileged… | 他们要为 被压迫的人民说话 |
[26:58] | …but in the blackest city in America… | 但在美国最黑暗的城市 |
[27:00] | …I’m looking at a room with no black faces. No Asians, no Hispanics. | 我看到一个没有黑人的房间 也没有亚洲人或西班牙人 |
[27:04] | Where’s the Third World they represent? | 它们代表 第三世界哪些地方? |
[27:06] | Lot of Third Worlders in the Cabinet Room today, were there? | 今天有很多第三世界的人 进了内阁,对吧? |
[27:09] | – You’re starting to bother me. – That’s because I’m armed. | -你开始让我觉得很烦 -因为我有备而来 |
[27:13] | No, I like that. | 不,我喜欢那样 |
[27:16] | I’m going outside. | 我要到外面去 |
[27:25] | – Hey, Sam. – Hey, Charlie, what’s going on? | -嘿,山姆 -嘿,查理,发生了什么事? |
[27:28] | The president lost his site for the library. | 总统无法在预定地点 盖图书馆 |
[27:30] | – What happened? – There’s an 18th-century farmhouse. | -发生了什么事? -那里有间十八世纪的农舍 |
[27:33] | – They’ll find another site. – Yeah. Anyway, he’s in a mood. | -他们会另寻地点 -对,总之他心情不太好 |
[27:36] | They shouldn’t be talking to him about the library. We’re not going anywhere. | 他们不该跟他谈图书馆的事 我们毫无进展 |
[27:40] | – I think that’s what’s got him in a mood. – Yeah. | -我想那是惹他心情不好的原因 -对 |
[27:43] | – Sam, you just got a call. – Do me a favor and catch the calls. | -山姆,有你的电话 -帮我接电话 |
[27:47] | – I’m gonna lie down in Toby’s office. – It was the national security advisor. | -我要到托比的办公室躺一下 -是国家安全顾问打来的 |
[27:55] | Well, he’s talking about force protection, right? | 他要谈强力保护吗? |
[27:58] | I’m sorry, colonel, that was me. He’s talking about force protection? | 抱歉,上校,是我 他在谈强力保护吗? |
[28:02] | Right, but the president’s gonna ask me about the readiness issue. | 对,但总统会问我备战程度 |
[28:09] | He’s gonna want to distinguish readiness and force protection. | 他想分辨 备战程度跟强力保护 |
[28:14] | No, that was me again. | 不,又是我 |
[28:17] | I’m the only woman on a conference call, Delaney can’t tell when it’s me. | 我是唯一一个在电话会议中 迪兰尼不知道是我在讲话的女性 |
[28:21] | Do I have a bizarrely androgynous voice? | 我的声音很像男人吗? |
[28:27] | Excuse me, I’m gonna step off for just a minute. | 对不起 我要出去一下 |
[28:33] | – How you doing? – Good. | -你好吗? -我很好 |
[28:35] | – Good. Drop Daniel Gault. – Nancy. | -很好,放弃丹尼尔葛特 -南西 |
[28:38] | – Drop Daniel Gault, do it now. – Why? | -放弃丹尼尔葛特,现在就那么做 -为什么? |
[28:40] | Because I just told you to. | 因为我要你那么做 |
[28:44] | Nancy, I’m a lawyer. Let’s let reason and logic have its moment. | 南西,我是律师 我们得来讲讲理 |
[28:49] | – There was one witness. – Sam. | -当时有目击证人 -山姆 |
[28:50] | Earl Lydecker, a low -level State Department staffer… | 厄尔赖达克 低阶国务院幕僚 |
[28:54] | …who confessed to counterintelligence officers that he and Gault conspired… | 他向反情报官员坦承 他跟葛特计划 |
[28:58] | …to send U S. economic analysis documents… | 将美国经济分析文件送给 |
[29:01] | – … to agents at the Russian Embassy. – Yes. | -俄国大使馆的探员 -是的 |
[29:03] | – He confessed for no particular reason. – Yes. | -他是自愿自白的 -对 |
[29:05] | It was demonstrated that Lydecker was a diagnosed manic-depressive… | 赖达克被证明 患有抑郁症 |
[29:10] | …with a history of, wait for it, institutionalization. | 还有住院的病史 |
[29:14] | This was the chief witness for the prosecution. According to… | 这是本案的主要证人 根据 |
[29:17] | – Sam. – Excuse me, please. | -山姆 -对不起 |
[29:18] | According to retired KGB Colonel Oleg Prosorov, a search of the files… | 根据退休的苏联国安局 欧力格普洛所洛夫上校的话 |
[29:24] | …reveals only one reference to Gault. That he was approached in 1943… | 找到的档案只有一份跟葛特有关 他在1943年加入 |
[29:28] | …and labeled ” highly uncooperative” and “a poor prospect for recruitment. “ | 被列为“非常不合作” 跟“不可能会被招募” |
[29:32] | – Sam, Daniel Gault was a spy. – Oh, my God. | -山姆,丹尼尔葛特是个间谍 -我的天啊 |
[29:34] | – He was a Soviet spy. – Based on what? | -他是苏联间谍 -你根据什么来认定? |
[29:36] | Cables intercepted by U S. Army Signal Intelligence in the 1940s. | 美国陆军讯号情报处 在1940年拦截到的情报 |
[29:40] | Why couldn’t the U S. attorney make espionage in the 1950s? | 为什么美国法务部 不能在1950年代认定他是间谍? |
[29:44] | The cables weren’t decrypted until the 1970s. | 情报内容 到了1970年代才被解读出来 |
[29:47] | We cracked some obscure Russian code and learned Gault was a spy? | 我们破解了苏联的密码 得知葛特是间谍? |
[29:51] | – Yes. – That’s crap. | -对 -那是胡说八道 |
[29:53] | If the FBI had proof on Gault, they’d have told the world. | 如果联邦调查局有证据 他们早就告诉全世界了 |
[29:55] | No, they wouldn’t. Neither would the NSA or Central Intelligence. | 他们不会说的,国安局 或中情局都不会说 |
[30:01] | You don’t show someone you’ve broken their ciphers unless you have to. | 没有必要,你不会告诉任何人 你破解了他们的密码 |
[30:05] | Gault was long dead. Before he was, he was an agent called Black Water. | 葛特早就死了,他过世前 是代号黑水的探员 |
[30:11] | He was a delegate at Yalta. And he returned to the U S. by way of Rostov… | 他是在雅尔达的代表 他回到美国时经过罗斯托夫 |
[30:16] | …where he was awarded the Order of Lenin. | 在那里获颁列宁勋章 |
[30:19] | Yeah, well, I’ll believe that when they show me the file. | 对,他们拿档案给我看 我就会相信 |
[30:32] | – That’s not an FBI file. – It’s an NSA file. | -那不是联邦调查局的档案 -那是国安局的档案 |
[30:40] | I’m classified, but I don’t have code-word clearance. | 我是机密人员 但我没有获得机密许可 |
[30:42] | I know. | 我知道 |
[30:44] | I’m not allowed to see that. You can get into trouble for showing it to me. | 我不能看文件 你这么做会惹上麻烦的 |
[30:48] | I can go to jail for showing it to you, which obviously I’m not gonna do. | 那么做我会被关进牢里 很明显地我不想那么做 |
[30:53] | I’ve blacked out any lateral reference that is code-word classified. | 我把任何有关机密 这个字眼字都划掉了 |
[30:59] | Those are the only things I’ve blacked out… | 那些是我唯一划掉的字 |
[31:02] | …and they are in no way relevant to your question. Look at me. | 它们跟你的问题毫无关系 看着我 |
[31:09] | – Do you believe me? – Of course. | -你相信我吗? -当然 |
[31:12] | Go ahead. | 看吧 |
[31:23] | This is Dr. Nancy McNally, national security advisor. | 这位是南西麦纳利博士 国家安全顾问 |
[31:28] | Again, that’s force protection and not readiness. | 这是强力保护 不是备战程度 |
[31:37] | So you’re probably wondering what all this has to do with social equality. | 你或许不了解 这跟社会平等有什么关系 |
[31:42] | No, I’m wondering where France really is. | 不,我不了解 法国到底在哪里 |
[31:45] | Guys, we want to thank you very much for coming in… | 大伙们 我们要谢谢你们赶来 |
[31:48] | – Hang on, we’re gonna finish this. – Okay. | -等一下,我们要把它讨论完 -好吧 |
[31:50] | What do maps have to do with social equality? | 地图跟社会平等 有什么关系? |
[31:53] | She asked. | 她问了 |
[31:54] | Salvatore Natoli of the National Council for Social Studies argues: | 社会研究国家议会 的萨瓦托利纳多利曾力倡: |
[31:57] | ” In society, we unconsciously equate size with importance and power. “ | “在社会中我们不知道大小 跟重要性以及权力” |
[32:07] | – I’m gonna check in on Toby. – Go. | -我要去看看托比 -去吧 |
[32:10] | These guys find Brigadoon on that map, you’ll call me? | 这些家伙在地图上找到了 布葛力顿,你会打电话给我? |
[32:12] | – Probably not. – Okay. | -或许不会 -好吧 |
[32:14] | When Third World countries are misrepresented, they’re valued less. | 当第三世界被扭转时 他们的价值就会变少 |
[32:19] | When Mercator maps exaggerate the importance of Western civilization. | 当麦卡托的地图 夸大了西方文明的重要性 |
[32:22] | When the top of the map is the Northern Hemisphere… | 当地图的上方是北半球 |
[32:25] | …and the bottom is the Southern, people adopt top and bottom attitudes. | 下方是南半球 人们便被培养出那样的看法 |
[32:32] | But where else could you put the Northern Hemisphere but on the top? | 但除了在上面 我们还能把北半球放在哪里? |
[32:37] | – On the bottom. – How? | -放在下面 -怎么说? |
[32:39] | Like this. | 就像这样 |
[32:42] | Yeah, but you can’t do that. | 对,但你不能那么做 |
[32:44] | – Why not? – Because it’s freaking me out. | -为什么? -因为那吓坏了我 |
[32:52] | It’s activist vacation, is what it is. | 这就是示威份子的假期 |
[32:55] | Spring break for anarchist wannabes. Black T-shirts, gas masks as fashion. | 无政府主义者的春假 黑色T恤跟防毒面具成了流行 |
[33:00] | These kids today, with the hair and clothes. | 现在的孩子 喜欢那样的发型跟服装 |
[33:04] | – All right, that’s it, flatfoot. – I got great feet. | -好吧,就那样,扁平足 -我的脚很漂亮 |
[33:07] | You want the benefits of free trade? Food is cheaper. Clothes are cheaper. | 你想因自由贸易而获利? 食物跟衣服都变得比较便宜 |
[33:12] | Steel is cheaper, cars are cheaper, phone service is cheaper, feel a rhythm? | 钢铁跟汽车也变得便宜 电信服务也变得便宜,有押�吧? |
[33:16] | I’m a speechwriter. I know how to make a point. | 我是个撰稿员 我知道如何点出重点 |
[33:18] | It lowers prices, it raises income. | 它能降低售价,提高收入 |
[33:20] | See what I did with “lowers” and ” raises”? It’s the science of listener attention. | 你看到我如何使用“降低”跟 “提高”吗?那就是吸引听众的技巧 |
[33:25] | We did repetition, floating opposites, now the one that’s not like the others. | 我们会做请愿案,强调反对声浪 就跟现在差不多 |
[33:29] | Ready? Free trade stops wars. And that’s it. Free trade stops wars. | 准备好了吗?自由贸易阻止了战争 没错,自由贸易阻止了战争 |
[33:35] | And we figure out a way to fix the rest. | 我们想出办法 来修改其他部份 |
[33:38] | One world, one peace. I’m sure I’ve seen that on a sign somewhere. | 一个世界,一种和平 我相信我看过这个标语 |
[33:43] | God, Toby, wouldn’t it be great if there was someone around here… | 天啊,托比 如果这里有人知道沟通技巧 |
[33:48] | …with communication skills who could go in there and tell them that? | 可以告诉他们该怎么做 不是很好吗? |
[33:53] | – Shut up. – Toby. | -闭嘴 -托比 |
[33:57] | – What are you doing? – I came to see how it was going. | -你到这里做什么? -我来看看情况如何了 |
[34:00] | – How’s it going? Josh Lyman. – Rhonda Sachs. | -情况如何了?乔西赖曼 -朗达沙奇 |
[34:03] | – Any trouble? – No. | -有问题吗? -没有 |
[34:05] | Josh, the WTO is undemocratic and accountable to no one. | 乔西,世贸组织既不民主 也不可靠 |
[34:09] | Decisions are made by executive directors… | 由执行人员做出决定 |
[34:11] | …and the developing world has little to say about institutional policy. | 开发中世界 无权对政策发言 |
[34:16] | – What was that? – I protested to you. | -那是什么? -我在跟你抗议 |
[34:19] | – Why? – I’m not allowed to get arrested anymore. | -为什么? -我不能再被逮捕 |
[34:23] | – Let’s go back. – No. | -我们回去吧 -不 |
[34:25] | I hate these people with the heat of a nova. Yet here I go. | 我讨厌这些人那么狂热 但我来了 |
[34:30] | Attaboy. | 太棒了 |
[34:33] | – Shut up. – I got your back, man, you know? | -闭嘴 -我支持你,你知道吗? |
[34:37] | Or not. | 或许不是 |
[34:44] | Charlie. | 查理 |
[34:47] | Yes, sir. | 是的,长官 |
[34:49] | – Let’s do calls in the residence, okay? – Yes, sir. | -我们回家里打电话吧 -是的,长官 |
[34:52] | There were late memos… | 这是最新的字条 |
[34:54] | – Good evening, Mr. President. – On your desk. | -晚安,总统先生 -全在你桌上 |
[34:56] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[34:58] | – I’m gonna head home. – At 7:30? | -我要回家了 -现在才七点半 |
[35:01] | I’ll make calls from the residence. | 我要在家里打电话 |
[35:03] | – You feeling all right? – Yeah. | -你没事吧? -我没事 |
[35:05] | I heard you lost the site. | 听说你没拿到那个地点 |
[35:08] | What’s the backup? | 有什么备用计划? |
[35:09] | Well, there’s this wooded land on the Connecticut River… | 康�D迪克河边有一块林地 |
[35:12] | …but the Abenaki Indians claim it’s an ancient burial ground. | 但阿班纳奇印第安人说 它是古坟地 |
[35:16] | There’s a magnificent bluff overlooking an orchard in Orford… | 欧福特有个悬崖 能俯瞰果园 |
[35:19] | …and the owner is willing, if not eager, to donate the land. | 主人十分愿意捐出土地 |
[35:22] | What’s the problem? | 有什么问题? |
[35:24] | The owner’s doing 40 months at Allenwood for securities fraud. | 主人因为保险诈欺案 得在艾林伍德监狱服刑四十个月 |
[35:29] | You’ll find a site. | 你会找到地点的 |
[35:31] | This is how long I get before I have to start with the library? Two years? | 我花了多少时间才开始盖图书馆? 两年吗? |
[35:35] | The first six months was figuring out the phones. | 前六个月是学如何使用电话 |
[35:37] | – They’ve changed the phones again. – Yeah. | -他们又换电话了 -对 |
[35:41] | This is the last job I’ll have. The last time I’ll come to work with people. | 这是我最后一份工作 我最后一次跟大家合作 |
[35:47] | I swear to God, I feel like I was just starting to get good at it. | 我对天发誓 我觉得我才刚刚开始上手 |
[35:54] | Well, it’s two years with an option for four more. | 这两年 让你想再做四年 |
[35:59] | Mr. President, is there anything we need to talk about? | 总统先生 我们需要谈一谈吗? |
[36:05] | – Not yet, okay? – Okay. | -还不行,好吗? -好的 |
[36:11] | – I’ll see you tomorrow. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -明天见 -谢谢你,总统先生 |
[36:48] | Sam? | 山姆 |
[36:54] | – What are you doing? – I don’t know. | -你在做什么? -我不知道 |
[36:59] | – Where have you been all afternoon? – I’ve been around. | -你整个下午跑到哪里去了? -我在四处乱晃 |
[37:03] | And then I came down here to practice my sugar tossing. | 我跑到这里来练习丢糖果 |
[37:06] | If you don’t practice you might as well give the clarinet to a kid who’ll use it. | 不练习的话 你得把竖笛送给会用它的孩子 |
[37:13] | Stephanie’s upstairs. I put her in your office because Josh is back. | 史蒂芬妮在楼上 我要她到你的办公室,因为乔西回来了 |
[37:19] | When she said that from what she’s heard I’m the one to talk to… | 她说她听说 我可以说服总统先生 |
[37:23] | …that I have the ear of the president, you told her to say that, right? | 他会听我的 是你要她那么说的吧? |
[37:28] | This was so important to her, I wanted to give her… | 这对她来说非常重要 我希望给她 |
[37:35] | Yes, I did. I’m sorry. | 对,是我说的,对不起 |
[37:38] | I don’t know why you would think I was like that. | 我不知道你为什么 会那么说我 |
[37:43] | I mean, for fun, but… | 我是说为了好玩,但是 |
[37:46] | I don’t know why you’d think I was like that. | 我不知道你为什么会那么说我 |
[37:51] | – It was wrong. – Yeah. | -那是不对的 -对 |
[37:58] | – Were you able to…? – He was a spy. | -你能够 -他是个间谍 |
[38:02] | – You’re sure? – Yes. | -你确定? -对 |
[38:04] | – No, I mean, it’s not possible that he…? – His code name was Black Water. | -不,我是说他不可能是 -他的代号是黑水 |
[38:09] | He copied by hand State Department and White House documents… | 他影印国务院跟白宫的文件 |
[38:12] | …and delivered them to the Soviets. Including Roosevelt’s plan to enter WWII. | 将它们交给苏联 包括罗斯福加入二次大战的计划 |
[38:16] | – You can’t tell her. Say something else. – Possible recruitment targets. | -你不能告诉她,说些别的 -可能招募的目标 |
[38:21] | Lists of communists and sympathizers at the State Department… | 共产党员 跟国务院里的支持者名单 |
[38:24] | …and National Recovery Administration. | 还有全国恢复管理局 |
[38:26] | – I’m telling her right now. – No. No, Sam. Please, you can’t. | -我现在就去告诉她 -不,山姆,求求你别那么做 |
[38:32] | Secret memoranda on the U S. negotiating stance at Yalta. | 美国在雅尔达会议中的 机密备忘录 |
[38:35] | – Please stop walking. – Stalin needed an advantage… | -请你停下来 -史达林想占优势 |
[38:38] | – … we wanted a fair fight. – Nothing good comes from telling. | -我们只要公平竞争 -告诉她没有好处 |
[38:41] | – Truth isn’t good? – Not now, no. | -真相没有好处? -现在没有 |
[38:43] | The father’s not gonna live three months. | 她爸爸活不了三个月 |
[38:45] | – She asked me to look into this. – I’m saying wait three months or until… | -她要我查这件事 -我说再等三个月或 |
[38:49] | You’re in a bad… Listen to me. | 你心情不好 听我说 |
[38:51] | You’re in a bad place and shouldn’t make this decision. | 你心情不好 不该做出这个决定 |
[38:54] | You can tell her tomorrow. If you tell her tonight, that’s it. | 你可以明天告诉她 如果你今晚告诉她,一切都完了 |
[38:57] | It was people pushing paper 50 years ago, why does it matter? | 那是五十年前的事了 为什么它很重要? |
[39:00] | It was high treason and mattered a great deal. This country is an idea. | 那是高度间谍行动,十分地重要 他拿国家来当赌注 |
[39:04] | One that’s lit the world for two centuries. | 这个国家 两个世纪以来捍卫全世界 |
[39:06] | Treason against that idea is not just a crime against the living. | 出卖这个国家的人 不只犯了死罪 |
[39:09] | This ground holds graves of people who died for it. | 这块土地埋葬了 为它而死的人 |
[39:12] | Who gave what Lincoln called “the last full measure of devotion. ” Of fidelity. | 这些人给了林肯称之为 忠贞的“最后的奉献”这句话 |
[39:18] | You understand, the last full measure of devotion to treason against them is…. | 你了解最后的奉献 去背叛了他们是 |
[39:24] | Sam. | 山姆 |
[39:28] | There was a translator in the Hungarian trade mission named Shaba Demsky. | 匈牙利贸易中心 有个翻译叫做席巴达姆斯基 |
[39:33] | She was murdered in 1952. | 她在1952年被谋杀 |
[39:35] | She was about to reveal the name of a Soviet agent called Black Water. | 她就要说出代号为黑水的 苏联间谍身分 |
[39:39] | This girl’s gonna find out who her father was. | 这个女孩得知道她父亲是谁 |
[39:45] | Sam? | 山姆 |
[39:48] | You meant grandfather. | 他是她的祖父 |
[40:06] | Tell me there’s good news. | 告诉我你带来了好消息 |
[40:10] | You ever heard of a woman named Shaba Demsky? | 你听过一个名叫 席巴达姆斯基的女人吗? |
[40:13] | No. | 不 |
[40:19] | Sam? | 山姆 |
[40:29] | I’m sorry, Stephanie. I wasn’t able to get access… | 抱歉,史蒂芬妮 我无法找到 |
[40:31] | …to the people I needed to have it considered this time around. | 我要找的人 因为现在时间不对 |
[40:35] | Why don’t you tell your father you’ll be able to try again in three months. | 你为什么不告诉你父亲 三个月内你会再试一次? |
[40:39] | – So you’re open to it? – Absolutely. | -你愿意帮我? -当然 |
[40:47] | That’s all he needed. That’s all I needed. | 那是他需要的 那是我需要的 |
[40:52] | – Did you hear? – You should call him now. | -你听到了吗? -现在你该打电话给他 |
[40:55] | – Can I use the phone at your desk? – Yeah, dial 9. | -我能用你桌上的电话吗? -可以,先拨九 |
[40:58] | – Everyone was right about you, Sam. – Sam’s the man. | -大家都没有看错你,山姆 -山姆是个大英雄 |
[41:21] | It’s just, there are certain things you’re sure of, like longitude and latitude. | 有些事是可以确定的 譬如说经度跟纬度 |
[41:29] | Sam, I don’t know if this is the best time to tell you… | 山姆,我不知道 现在该不该告诉你 |
[41:33] | …but according to C.J., I wouldn’t be so sure about longitude and latitude. | 但根据茜洁的说法 我不确定经度跟纬度是对的 |
[41:43] | – Hey. You should have seen Toby. – He was good? | -你应该看看托比 -他还好吗? |
[41:47] | He blew the doors off the place. Then I almost got killed. | 他把门都掀了 之后我差点被杀 |
[41:51] | – How? – I got hit with a piece of a banana. | -怎么说 -我被香蕉打中 |
[41:55] | – Let’s go. – You know what you are? | -我们走吧 -你知道你是什么吗? |
[41:57] | – You are old-school. – Stop talking like that. Let’s go. | -你是老顽固 -别那么说,我们走啊 |
[42:00] | Let me tell you, that was the second time this year I almost got killed. | 我得告诉你 这是今年我第二次差点被杀 |
[42:04] | Both times I was with you, so you’re gonna need a new wingman. | 两次我都跟你在一起 你需要一个新天使 |
[42:07] | – You were my old wingman? – Yeah. | -你是我的旧天使? -对 |
[42:10] | – Let’s go. – Where are you going? | -我们走啊 -你要去哪里? |
[42:12] | We’re gonna get Sam drunk and then put him to bed. | 我们要把山姆灌醉 送他上床睡觉 |
[42:14] | – I’ll come. – Let’s go. | -我也要去 -我们走吧 |
[42:17] | – I’m gonna meet you there. – Yeah? | -我到那里跟你们会合 -是吗? |
[42:21] | All right. | 好吧 |
[42:50] | Dad, it’s me. | 爸,是我 |