时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | This is my last week working for Ways and Means. | 这是我最后一周 在众议院筹款委员会工作 |
[00:10] | – Really? – I’ve been traded. | -真的吗? -我刚被调职 |
[00:12] | – To where? – House Government Oversight. | -到哪? -众议院监督政府专案 |
[00:14] | We need to be investigated by someone who wants to kill us to watch us die. | 我们必须找个恨我们入骨的人 来调查我们 |
[00:18] | We need someone perceived by Americans as irresponsible… | 我们必须找个大家认为 最不负责、最不可靠的人 |
[00:21] | …untrustworthy, partisan, ambitious and thirsty for the limelight. | 偏袒、有野心 迫不及待想成名 |
[00:25] | Am I crazy, or is this not a job for the U.S. House of Representatives? | 是我疯了 还是这不是参议员的工作之一? 剧名:选巴特勒当美国总统 |
[01:13] | Mike, come on in. | 麦克,进来吧 |
[01:15] | – I was on the other side. – Yeah. Margaret, could you…? | -我刚刚在另一头 -玛格丽特,麻烦你? |
[01:18] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[01:22] | – Lot of people up there. – Yeah. Listen. | -那里人很多 -听着 |
[01:24] | – There were more threats? – Seven churches in Tennessee counties. | -还有更多威胁? -还有田纳西郡的7座教堂 |
[01:27] | How many guys on the ground? | 当地有多少我们的人? |
[01:29] | We’ve got 25, and ATF is sending in a team. | 25个 ATF正要派部队过去 |
[01:31] | – Has the governor been briefed? – Right now. | -州长听过简报了吗? -正在听 |
[01:33] | Right, listen, I gotta be here. I’m stuck with this thing. | 听着,我必须待在这儿 我被公听会的事缠住了 |
[01:36] | – Will you stay with Josh today? – Yeah. | -你今天跟着乔西好吗? -好的 |
[01:38] | – Josh. – And can you do me a favor? | -乔西 -可以帮我个忙吗? |
[01:40] | Get me a secure phone hookup so I can monitor this. I got the cell. | 帮我架一条安全的电话线 我好监控一切,我有手机 |
[01:44] | – Good luck today. – Go. Josh. | -祝你好运 -去吧,乔西 |
[01:47] | Threats were made in Tennessee this morning. | 今天早上我们收到 来自田纳西的威胁 |
[01:49] | Mike Casper was just here. He’s with you today. | 麦克坎斯柏刚刚来过 他今天会跟着你 |
[01:51] | – Good. – You’ll be all right? | -很好 -你没事吧? |
[01:53] | -Yeah. – Because I gotta be here all day. | -是啊 -因为我得整天待在这儿 |
[01:55] | – It’s gonna take all day. – Yeah. Keep your head there. | -这会扯上一整天 -是啊,乖乖待在那儿 |
[01:58] | Would you? Don’t call during every break and check in. | 麻烦你可以吗? 别趁休息时间打给我确认 |
[02:00] | – Keep your head there. – I keep it where I want. | -乖乖待在那儿 -我爱待哪就待哪 |
[02:03] | -Leo? – Yeah. | -里奥? -是啊 |
[02:04] | -There are ways. – Don’t start again. | -有很多方法 -别又来了 |
[02:07] | There are ways to get him out of the room. | 有很多方法 可以把他踢出公听会 |
[02:09] | I’ll keep my head here. You keep your head there. | 我管我的事,你管你的事 |
[02:11] | I did this for a living. He gets the floor five minutes. | 我靠这种事过活 他再过5分钟就要发言了 |
[02:14] | -I can get him out. – Don’t help me. | -我可以把他踢出去 -别帮我 |
[02:16] | – I’m gonna help. Know why? -You walk around… | -我就是要帮,知道为什么吗? -你到处耍手段 |
[02:19] | …with guilt about everybody you love dying, so you’re a compulsive fixer? | 为你所爱的人奔波 因为你患有解决问题强迫症? |
[02:23] | No. It’s because a guy’s walking down the street… | 不是 因为只要有人踏上街 |
[02:26] | …and he falls into a hole, see? | 就一定会跌倒,懂吗? |
[02:29] | – Yeah. -Yeah. | -是啊 -是啊 |
[02:32] | It’s my day, Josh. I gotta take the hit. | 今天轮到我,乔西 我必须面对问题 |
[02:34] | -Leo… – I’ll see you. | -里奥 -待会见 |
[02:36] | – They’re waiting. – Wanna get breakfast or something? | -他们在等 -要不要吃点早餐什么的? |
[02:39] | – No. – Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out. | -不用 -早餐是我最爱外食的一餐 |
[02:42] | – I love tomato juice. – They’re waiting for us, Leo. | -我爱蕃茄汁 -他们在等了,里奥 |
[02:44] | – They can wait. – They can’t. | -他们可以等 -他们不能等 |
[02:46] | Yeah, they really can. Seven new threats on black churches. | 他们真的可以 又有7座黑人教堂受到威胁 |
[02:49] | The governor’s coming up. | 州长会赶过来 |
[02:51] | We might have to federalize the Tennessee National Guard. | 我们可能要派联邦警察 援助田纳西国民警卫队 |
[02:54] | That’s just the stuff I know about that’s gonna happen. | 我知道这种事迟早会发生 |
[02:57] | And here I am today. | 可是我却困在这儿 |
[02:59] | – You shouldn’t be nervous. – I swear to God, Jordan… | -你不应该紧张 -我向天发誓,乔登 |
[03:01] | …the last thing I am right now is nervous. | 我现在最不需要的 就是紧张 |
[03:04] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[03:13] | – There he is. – There we go. | -他在这儿 -我们走吧 |
[03:15] | Did I win a Grammy for something? | 我赢了葛莱美奖是吗? |
[03:17] | – Were you nominated? – No. | -你有被提名吗? -没 |
[03:18] | – That’s ridiculous. – Well, those things are so political. | -真是荒谬 -这种事实在太政治化了 |
[03:22] | Leo, is there something you haven’t told me? | 里奥 你是不是还有什么事没告诉我? |
[03:24] | There’s lots of things I haven’t told you. | 有很多事我都没告诉你 |
[03:26] | About today? | 今天的事呢? |
[03:48] | Good morning. | 早安 |
[03:53] | – Leo. – He can’t take any calls now. | -里奥 -他现在不能接电话 |
[03:55] | It’s the president. | 是总统 |
[03:58] | -Good morning, sir. – I don’t care much about your ass… | -早安,长官 -我才不管你的死活 |
[04:01] | …but if you need to perjure yourself to protect me, you do it. | 但要是你敢作假证保护我 你就做吧 |
[04:04] | Sir, this isn ‘t a secure call. | 长官,这不是安全的线路 |
[04:06] | So I’m gonna say to the 17 global intelligence agencies listening in… | 我必须跟正在窃听的 17个全球情报单位说 |
[04:11] | … he was kidding just then. | 他刚刚只是开玩笑 |
[04:12] | Whatever it is Josh does, you let him do it. | 不论乔西要做什么 你就让他去做 |
[04:15] | -I don ‘t need Josh… – Yeah, yeah. | -我不需要乔西 -是啊 |
[04:17] | – How does she look to you? -Who? | -她看来如何? -谁? |
[04:19] | Her. | 她 |
[04:21] | -She looks good. – What’s she wearing? | -看来不错 -她穿什么? |
[04:23] | -What are you wearing? -What does it matter? | -你今天穿什么? -问这做什么? |
[04:25] | -Why don ‘t you ask the president that? -Gray Armani suit. | -你何不自己去问总统? -灰色亚曼尼套装 |
[04:29] | -Spandex. – I like you and her. | -弹性纤维 -我喜欢你跟她在一起 |
[04:32] | – It’s like a ’50s screwball comedy. -You’re like a ’50s screwball. | -好像50年代的疯狂喜剧 -你才像50年代的喜剧演员 |
[04:36] | – What was that? – Nothing. | -你刚刚说什么? -没 |
[04:38] | We should do gifts and charitable donations tomorrow night. | 我们明晚应该发礼物 还有慈善捐款 |
[04:41] | -I’m not doing anything tomorrow night. – What’s tomorrow night? | -我明晚啥也不做 -明晚是什么日子? |
[04:45] | – It’s Christmas Eve. -I forgot. | -圣诞夜 -我忘了 |
[04:47] | -And you don ‘t work then, right? – Yeah, actually, nobody does. | -你不必工作对吧? -实际上也没人工作 |
[04:51] | The governor’s gonna be there at noon, but I’ll be talking to you before then. | 州长明天中午过来 不过我得在那之前跟你谈 |
[04:55] | You got about 1000 people in this building standing with you now. | 你正跟1千个人 一起站在那栋大楼里 |
[04:59] | I’ll be back when I’m done. | 事情办完我就回去 |
[05:01] | Okay. | 好 |
[05:08] | Leo, what’s going on? | 里奥,怎么了? |
[05:14] | Will the first witness rise, raise your right hand to God… | 请第一位证人起立 向上帝举起你的右手 |
[05:17] | …and swear the oath written in front of you? | 宣读你面前的誓言 好吗? |
[05:21] | Leo. | 里奥 |
[05:29] | Ain’t nothing but a family thing. | 只不过是家族遗传 |
[05:35] | “I solemnly swear that the testimony today will be the truth… | “我仅在此宣誓 今日所言皆属实 |
[05:39] | …the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God.” | 全然的事实,具体的事实 上帝帮助我” 片名:白宫风云 演出:罗伯洛 演出:施塔科钱宁 演出:杜希尔 演出:艾莉森詹尼 演出:珍妮尔摩隆奈 演出:里察薛福 演出:约翰史宾塞 演出:布雷迪威佛德 演出:马丁辛 片名:白宫风云 |
[06:30] | Would you state your full name, please? | 请说出你的全名 |
[06:32] | Leo Thomas McGarry. | 里奥汤玛斯马加瑞 |
[06:34] | And would you identify counsel, please? | 请你说明律师的名字 |
[06:37] | – We’ve never met. – Jordan Kendall, Mr. Chairman. | -我们从没见过 -乔登坎朵,主席先生 |
[06:41] | Mr. McGarry, the committee thanks you for your appearance today. | 马加瑞先生 委员会感激你的出席 |
[06:44] | Why are we here? What are we after? | 我们今天为什么在此? 调查何事? |
[06:47] | Many, if not most of us, were surprised by the president’s announcement… | 对于总统宣布 |
[06:51] | …he’s been diagnosed with relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis… | 他被诊断为 缓解复发型多重性硬化症 |
[06:54] | …for seven years and never mentioned it… | 长达七年且重未提起过 |
[06:57] | …while asking us to vote for him for president. | 还要求选民投他当总统一事 我们之中许多人都大感震惊 |
[07:00] | But more surprising still, if not stunning… | 但更令人震惊的是 |
[07:02] | …is that his medical condition could have been kept a secret… | 他居然能对身边的选战幕僚们 |
[07:06] | …from those campaign aides closest to him. | 隐藏他的病情 |
[07:09] | In this age, when the most minute details of a candidate’s life… | 在这种年代 候选人即使有最轻微的病情 |
[07:13] | …are brought to light, in a business where secrets aren’t kept secret long… | 也会被揭发的年代 在秘密不再被视为秘密时 |
[07:17] | …this committee would like to know, quite candidly, how it was pulled off. | 本委员会希望能全盘了解 秘密是如何被保住的 |
[07:21] | Did people lie? Were people told to lie? | 是否有人说谎? 他们是否被要求说谎? |
[07:25] | Are people lying now? | 是否有人正在说谎? |
[07:27] | You’ll be questioned by majority counsel, then minority counsel. | 你会被多数党律师质询 接着是少数党律师 |
[07:31] | And each member will have five minutes to question… | 每位成员有五分钟质询时间 |
[07:34] | …alternating back and forth between the majority and the minority. | 多数党与少数党轮流质询 |
[07:39] | – Mr. Calley. – Mr. McGarry, I’m Clifford Calley. | -凯利先生 -马加瑞先生,我是克利夫凯利 |
[07:42] | I’m the majority counsel. Good morning. | 我是多数党律师 早安 |
[07:45] | – Good morning. – What is your current job title? | -早安 -你目前的职称为? |
[07:48] | – White House chief of staff. – What’s your previous job title? | -白宫幕僚长 -你先前的职称为? |
[07:52] | General chairman, Bartlet for America. | 总执行长,美国总统巴特勒 |
[07:54] | How long have you known the president? | 你认识总统多久了? |
[07:57] | We met for the first time about 32 years ago… | 我们第一次见面是在 32年前 |
[08:01] | …but I would say our friendship began 11 years ago. | 但我们成为朋友是在 11年前 |
[08:04] | You’re the person in the White House who’s known him the longest? | 你是白宫里认识他最久的人吗? |
[08:07] | No, the first lady’s known him the longest. | 不是,第一夫人才是 |
[08:10] | Fair enough. Mr. McGarry… | 没错 马加瑞先生 |
[08:11] | …it was you who first approached Jed Bartlet about running for president. | 你是第一位鼓励杰德巴特勒 竞选总统的人 |
[08:15] | – Is that right? – Yes. | -对吗? -对 |
[08:17] | – Where and when did that happen? – Four years ago last month. | -何时何地? -四年又一个月前 |
[08:21] | – At the statehouse in Concord. -“New Hampshire: It’s What’s New!” | -在康科德的州议会大厦 -“新罕布夏:这就是新的!” |
[08:26] | “New Hampshire: It’s What’s New!” | “新罕布夏:这就是新的!” |
[08:29] | Thomas Hilton started a fishing village here in 1623, Allen. | 汤玛斯希尔顿在1623年 在这盖了第一座渔村,艾伦 制片:麦可希斯瑞区 |
[08:33] | That’s the point, governor. People think of us as a New England relic. | 那就是重点,州长 大家只当我们是新英格兰遗迹 |
[08:37] | – Tourism’s our second-largest industry. – Yeah. | -旅游业是我们第二大工业 -是啊 |
[08:40] | Point is, if we don’t find a way to be fresh and new… | 重点是 如果我们再不改头换面 |
[08:43] | While, obviously, still retaining our charm. | 同时也要保留我们的魅力 |
[08:45] | We’ll never be able to stem the falloff in revenue. | 否则我们无法避免 政府收入逐渐减少 制片:亚力克葛拉夫斯 |
[08:48] | And a slogan’s gonna do that? | 一句口号就能解救我们? |
[08:50] | That’s just the beginning. We’ve got an aggressive strategy. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 这只是开始 我们还有更激进的策略 |
[08:53] | – Yeah? – The Office of Travel and Tourism… | -是吗? -旅游与观光局 |
[08:55] | …is gonna run print ads encouraging people to drive here and view fall foliage. | 将开始印制广告传单 鼓励人们开车来此欣赏秋叶 |
[08:59] | Slow down, you’re going too fast. | 慢慢来,你说太快了 |
[09:01] | There’s also a new toll-free number with reservation information. | 还会提供免付费电话 跟预约资讯 |
[09:04] | This is separate from the campaign for snowmobiling… | 另外还有 驾摩托雪橇的宣传活动 |
[09:07] | …which brings 367 million into the state. | 这会为本州带来 3.67亿的收入 |
[09:11] | 367 million in snowmobiling? | 驾摩托雪橇能带来3.67亿? 制片:李维林威尔斯 |
[09:14] | That includes the 1. 1 million in registration fees… | 包括110万的登记费 |
[09:18] | …and 717,000 in gas taxes. – And the goggles. | -跟71万7千的燃油税 -还有护目镜 |
[09:22] | – That includes the goggles? – I don’t know. | -那数字包括护目镜吗? -我不知道 |
[09:25] | – I’m not sure. – It must if you… | -我不确定 -一定包括,如果你 |
[09:27] | Okay. Thanks, guys. Mrs. Landingham! | 编剧:艾伦索金 够了,谢啦各位 蓝丁汉太太! |
[09:30] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[09:32] | Yes, sir. | 导演:汤玛斯史兰姆 是的,长官 |
[09:37] | Speaking of crusty New England relics. | 说到顽固的新英格兰遗迹 |
[09:40] | Governor, does it frustrate you to aim for humor… | 州长,如果我说您的幽默 真是冷到极点 |
[09:42] | …and yet miss so dramatically? – No. | -是否让您感到沮丧? -不会 |
[09:44] | Abbey wants to eat at Patsy’s. Let them know we’re coming. | 艾碧想去派西吃晚餐 帮我们订位 |
[09:47] | – Yes, sir. – What’s next? | -是的,长官 -还有什么事? |
[09:49] | That’s all for the schedule, but Leo McGarry’s here. | 今天的行程到此结束 不过里奥马加瑞来了 |
[09:52] | Leo’s here? | 里奥在这? |
[09:54] | – Leo! – I’m happy to get him myself… | -里奥! -我很乐意以文明社会的礼节 |
[09:56] | …as they do in the civilized world. – Yeah. | -帮你叫他进来 -是啊 |
[10:00] | – Hey! – Hey, governor. | -嗨! -嗨,州长 |
[10:08] | “New Hampshire: It’s What’s New”? | “新罕布夏:这就是新的!”? |
[10:11] | – Jenny and Mallory are okay? – Yeah. | -珍妮跟玛洛莉还好吧? -是啊 |
[10:13] | – What are you doing here? – I don’t know. What do you got? | -你在这做什么? -我不知道,有何消息? |
[10:15] | You got leaves. I came to look at leaves. | 你这里有落叶 我来这里看落叶 |
[10:17] | – What are you…? – I came to talk. | -你在说什? -我来谈事情的 |
[10:19] | – Everything’s okay? – Yeah. | -事情还顺利吧? -是啊 |
[10:21] | Why didn’t you call? | 你为什么不打电话? |
[10:23] | You would’ve asked what I wanted to talk about. | 你就会问我想谈什么 |
[10:25] | – Where are you staying? – At the Marriott. | -你住哪? -万豪酒店 |
[10:28] | – What do you want to talk about? – About getting back into politics. | -你想谈什么? -回到政治圈 |
[10:33] | I think that’s great, man. I think it’s about time. | 我认为这主意不错,老兄 该是时候了 |
[10:36] | You mean the House, but you should consider the Senate seat… | 你是指众议院 但你该考虑两年后 |
[10:39] | …in Illinois in two years. I can help raise money. | 伊利诺州的参议院席次 我可以帮忙筹钱 |
[10:43] | No, I wasn’t thinking about the Senate. | 不,我不考虑入主参议院 |
[10:46] | I was thinking about the White House. | 我在考虑入主白宫 |
[10:48] | Hey, Leo, I swear to God… | 里奥,我向天发誓 |
[10:51] | …there’s no one I’d rather see in the Oval Office than you. | 我最想看到入主 椭圆办公室的人就是你 |
[10:54] | But if you run, there’s gonna be a lot of discussion about Valium and alcohol. | 但如果你要竞选 你得先厘清安眠药跟酗酒的事 |
[10:58] | I mean, it’s gonna come out, this is the world. | 我是说,事情一定会曝光 这就是世界 |
[11:01] | Yeah. See, I wasn’t thinking about me. | 是啊,不过我不是在说我 |
[11:06] | Who? | 谁? |
[11:07] | I’ve been walking around in a kind of daze for two weeks. | 我这两个礼拜以来 一直在混乱中度过 |
[11:11] | And everywhere I go, planes, trains, restaurants, meetings… | 不论我去到哪里 飞机、火车、餐厅还是会议 |
[11:17] | …I find myself scribbling something down. | 我发现我一直在写一件事情 |
[11:20] | What? | 什么事? (选巴特勒当美国总统) |
[11:26] | -He never mentioned his health? -No. | -他从未提过他的病情? -没 |
[11:28] | – During the first meeting in his office? – No. | -即使在他办公室第一次面谈? -没 |
[11:31] | – Nor during the second at the Marriott? – No. | -在万豪酒店的第二次面谈? -没 |
[11:34] | Well, then I’d like to ask you this. If he had told you about his condition… | 那我得请问你 如果他曾告诉你他的病情 |
[11:38] | …would you have thought it a good idea he run? | 你还会鼓励他竞选总统吗? |
[11:40] | – I don’t know. – Well, think about it and try answering. | -我不知道 -请仔细考虑并试着回答 |
[11:50] | Listen, I’m gonna talk a little. | 听着,我会说一下话 |
[11:52] | And you nod and talk a little bit back to me. | 你点头,然后也回我一下话 |
[11:55] | – What are you doing? – That’s good. | -你在做什么? -很好 |
[11:57] | I’m really asking you. | 我真的在问你 |
[11:59] | I think Rathburn’s being a little snotty, I think he’s gonna have to wait… | 我想瑞许彭有点过分 我要让他等一会儿 |
[12:03] | …and I think he’s gonna have to wait with the camera on me. | 让他等的同时 镜头就可以照在我身上 |
[12:09] | – Mr. McGarry. – One second, please. | -马加瑞先生 -再一下子就好 |
[12:14] | – Listen, what are you doing for lunch? – I don’t know. | -听着,你午餐要吃什么? -我不知道 |
[12:17] | I thought maybe we could have lunch or something. | 我想我们可以一起吃个午餐 |
[12:19] | Leo, you’ve gotta answer the question. | 里奥,你得回答问题 |
[12:25] | Congressman, could you repeat the question, please? | 议员 麻烦你再重复一次问题好吗? |
[12:30] | If Jed Bartlet had told you about his health… | 如果杰德巴特勒曾告诉你 他的病情 |
[12:34] | …either at the first meeting or second meeting… | 不论是在第一次会面 或第二次会面 |
[12:36] | …would you have thought it was a good idea for him to run? | 你还会鼓励他竞选总统吗? |
[12:40] | Yeah, I don’t know. | 喔,我不知道 |
[12:43] | – Mike? – Yeah. | -麦克? -嗨 |
[12:45] | – Come on back. – Thanks. | -跟我来 -谢谢 |
[12:50] | Churches are burning down, otherwise I’d be hitting on you. | 要不是教堂在燃烧 不然我就会煞到你 |
[12:53] | – I appreciate that. – Sure. | -谢啦 -没什么 |
[12:54] | – Maybe when it’s a better time. – Let’s go. | -也许等天下太平 -走吧 |
[12:57] | – Where are we going? – Seventeen-month investigation… | -我们要去哪? -17个月的调查 |
[13:00] | …34 black churches, how is there no evidence of conspiracy? | 34座黑人教堂被烧毁 怎么可能没有阴谋的证据? |
[13:03] | – It’s probably because we’re stupid. – Mike. | -可能是因为我们太笨 -麦克 |
[13:05] | The FBI could invent a pattern, but then that would be against the law. | 联邦调查局可以介入 但这样就违法了 |
[13:09] | – Yeah. – Okay? | -是啊 -好吗? |
[13:12] | – You met with Leo this morning? – Yeah. That was big for me. | -你今天早上见过里奥了? -是啊,对我来说是件大事 |
[13:15] | I don’t brief the White House chief of staff. | 我从没为白宫人事主任做过简报 |
[13:17] | All right. Well, let’s listen in on this meeting for a minute. | 好吧 先让我听一下今天的公听会 |
[13:22] | Hang on. | 等等 |
[13:24] | – This wall is curved. – Yeah. Let’s go. | -这墙是弯的 -是啊,我们走吧 |
[13:28] | – I don’t have to go in, I can wait here. – Charlie? | -我不用进去,我在这等就行了 -查理? |
[13:31] | – Yeah. -Have you ever questioned… | -什么事 -你从未怀疑过 |
[13:33] | …whether that would be the case? -No. | -这件事是否属实? -没有 |
[13:35] | – Let’s go. -Mr. Chairman, I’d like to… | -走吧 -主席先生,我想要 |
[13:37] | Phone calls have been coming all morning. | 今天早上电话响不停 |
[13:39] | You should know that Algiss Skyler called. | 你应该知道 艾吉斯史盖勒有打来 |
[13:42] | Skyler wants you to call up the Guard? | 史盖勒要你发动警卫队? |
[13:44] | Skyler wants to know why you haven’t. | 史盖勒想知道你为什么没发动 |
[13:46] | Because local law enforcement is doing plenty. | 因为地方法律已经发挥作用了 |
[13:49] | Was Eisenhower wrong in ’57? Kennedy in ’61? | 艾森豪在57年做的事错了吗? 肯尼迪在61年呢? |
[13:52] | This is a different situation. | 情形不一样 |
[13:54] | We don’t know what the situation is, do we, Josh? | 我们还不知道情形如何 对吧,乔西? |
[13:56] | No, sir. Mr. President, this is Special Agent Mike Casper… | 不,长官,总统先生 这位是特别探员麦克坎斯柏 |
[14:00] | …who’s acting as the FBI’s White House liaison during this situation. | 他是被指派担任此事件的 联邦调查局白宫联络人 |
[14:04] | Do we know what’s going on, Agent Casper? | 我们知道情形如何了吗 坎斯柏探员? |
[14:06] | – No, sir. – Edward. | -不,长官 -艾德华 |
[14:08] | So far churches have been empty. There’ve been no fatalities. | 目前教堂都撤空了 目前还无伤亡 |
[14:12] | Tomorrow’s Christmas Eve, they’re gonna be packed. | 明天就是圣诞夜了 教堂会挤满人 |
[14:14] | – Why shouldn’t I send troops in? – Due respect, Mr. President… | -我为什么不可以派部队进驻? -恕我冒犯,总统先生 |
[14:17] | …you do it without my consent, it’s a violation of state’s rights. | 你未经我允许就派部队进驻 已经违反了州的权利 |
[14:21] | You would’ve said the same thing as governor of New Hampshire. | 你当年担任新罕布夏州长 也会说相同的话 |
[14:24] | This doesn’t happen in New Hampshire. | 新罕布夏没发生过这种事 |
[14:26] | You got a pretty big black population in New Hampshire? | 新罕布夏的黑人人口多吗? |
[14:30] | We’ll meet this afternoon. Thank you, governor. | 我们今天下午再开会 谢谢你,州长 |
[14:33] | – Thank you, sir. – Josh, stick around. | -谢谢,长官 -乔西,留下来 |
[14:36] | – Yes, sir. – I’ll be in the bullpen. | -是的,长官 -我会躲在角落 |
[14:47] | So, what have you got cooking? | 你葫芦里卖什么药? |
[14:49] | – Sorry? – I said, what have you got cooking? | -什么? -我说,你葫芦里卖什么药? |
[14:51] | – I don’t understand. – Yes, you do. | -我不懂 -是的,你懂 |
[14:54] | I know what happened at the debate. He told me. | 我知道你们在吵什么 里奥告诉我了 |
[14:56] | I know what’s gonna happen this afternoon. | 我知道今天下午会发生什么事 |
[14:59] | What are you gonna do? | 你要怎么做? |
[15:01] | Are you gonna get Gibson out of the room when it’s his turn to question? | 你要在轮到吉柏森问问题时 把他弄出公听会吗? |
[15:05] | I don’t think you and I should discuss it, sir. | 我不认为我们应该讨论这件事 长官 |
[15:15] | The red light is on, so I will yield the floor back to the chairman. | 红灯已经亮了 我将时间还给主席 |
[15:20] | – Where are we? – Dearborn will be next. | -轮到谁了? -迪尔本是下一个 |
[15:22] | Congressman Dearborn, you have five minutes. | 迪尔本议员 你有五分钟的时间 |
[15:25] | Mr. McGarry, I would like to use my time to talk about Edith Wilson. | 马加瑞先生 我想问关于艾迪丝威尔森的事 |
[15:31] | -Excuse me one moment. – Abbey’s about to get spanked. | -请稍等一下 -艾碧会被整得很惨 |
[15:35] | Guys, the things we do to women. | 这就是我们对女人做的事 |
[15:38] | – My wife’s a world-class scientist. -Do you know who Edith Wilson was? | -我妻子是世界级的科学家 -你知道艾迪丝威尔森是谁吗? |
[15:43] | Edith Wilson was Edith Galt before she became… | 艾迪丝威尔森原名为艾迪丝盖特 后来成为 |
[15:46] | …the second wife of Woodrow Wilson. -And with the help of her doctors… | -伍德威尔森的续弦 -在她医师的帮助下 |
[15:50] | …she ran this country while her husband was incapacitated by a stroke. | 她在丈夫因中风丧失行为能力时 仍能治理国家 |
[15:55] | Do you believe that the president having a stroke… | 你认为总统的中风 |
[15:58] | …falls within the scope of the 25th Amendment? | 包括在 第25次修正案的范围内吗? |
[16:00] | With the Wilsons being dead 80 years, it doesn’t fall within the hearing’s scope. | 由于威尔森已逝世达80年 这并不包括在本公听会范围内 |
[16:05] | Abbey Bartlet knew of her husband’s condition? | 艾碧巴特勒知道她丈夫的病情吗? |
[16:07] | – Yes. – And she kept it to herself. | -是的 -而她没告诉任何人 |
[16:11] | Well, I don’t know who she kept it to, congressman. | 我不知道她向谁透露过 议员 |
[16:13] | – She didn’t tell you? – No. | -她没告诉你? -没 |
[16:15] | Or anyone else in the high command of the Bartlet campaign. | 或告诉任何 在巴特勒选战最高总部的人 |
[16:20] | – You’re smiling. – Yes, sir. | -你在笑 -是的,长官 |
[16:22] | – Why? – Because at this point… | -为什么? -因为当时 |
[16:24] | …there wasn’t much of a high command. | 我们可没什么最高总部 |
[16:26] | All we’d done is show a strong third in lowa. | 我们只是爱荷华第三高票 |
[16:29] | We were working out of a storefront. | 竞选总部是临时搭建的店面 |
[16:32] | You gotta pop the ball. Pop it. | 你要用力传球,传它 |
[16:33] | – I’m popping it. – No, you’re not. | -我在传了 -才没有 |
[16:36] | – So my feeling… – Yeah? | -我觉得 -怎样? |
[16:38] | …is we’re fine playing this song in South Carolina. | 我们在南卡罗莱纳宣传得不错 |
[16:41] | – I agree. – Pop it. | -我同意 -用力传 |
[16:42] | As long as he’s running against Wiley, it’s fine he’s not a real candidate. | 只要他继续对抗维利 就算不是真的候选人也无妨 |
[16:46] | It’s when Wiley drops and he runs against Hoynes. | 直到维利人气滑落 他再对抗何尼斯 |
[16:49] | Right. | 对 |
[16:50] | They’re gonna cover us to South Dakota. | 他们会继续护送我们到南达科塔 |
[16:53] | Suddenly, we don’t wanna be quaint. People wanna know if he’s for real. | 然后我们忽然认真起来 大家会想知道他是不是来真的 |
[16:57] | We show them we’re an honest-to-God alternative. | 我们会让大家知道 我们是对神忠实的最佳候选人 |
[16:59] | We’ve gotta show them we’re bigtime. | 让大家知道我们够份量 |
[17:07] | Can we get an intern over here? | 请个实习生过来好吗? |
[17:09] | What about this? A series of major national policy addresses. | 这个方法如何? 提出一系列的主要国家政策 |
[17:13] | We work with Josh, we pick three issues. | 我们跟乔西一起想 挑出三个政见 |
[17:15] | Yeah. We should start projecting the image that he thinks he’s for real. | 我们应该开始想像 他是“来真的”的形象 |
[17:19] | We release his tax returns, put stocks in a blind trust. | 我们发表退税政见 把股票放进全权信托 |
[17:22] | – You know what else? – Yeah. | -你知道还有什么吗? -什么 |
[17:23] | – He should take a physical. – Absolutely. | -他应该做身体检查 -绝对要 |
[17:25] | He’s got 10 years on Hoynes. Release a medical report. | 他还有10年仗要跟何尼斯打 发身体检查报告 |
[17:28] | I’ll take it to Leo. | 我会告诉里奥的 |
[17:31] | Okay. Guys, let’s go. | 好吧 各位,我们走 |
[17:33] | Let’s be working. | 该上工了 |
[17:36] | Somebody wanna get the ball? | 有谁要去捡球? |
[17:39] | I like some of these new people. I’m gonna miss them. | 我喜欢这些新来的 我会想念他们的 |
[17:42] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[17:45] | Josh Lyman’s special. Sam Seaborn’s very funny. | 乔西赖曼很特别 山姆希朋很好笑 |
[17:49] | Which one’s he? | 哪一个? |
[17:51] | – The young one. – They’re all young. | -年轻的那个 -他们都很年轻 |
[17:53] | Listen, they want me to do some things before South Dakota. | 听着,他们要我在去南达科塔前 先做一些事情 |
[17:59] | – South Carolina’s next. – Yeah, we’re looking past that. | -南卡罗莱纳先 -我们可能会跳过 |
[18:03] | What do they want you to do? | 他们要你做什么? |
[18:06] | – Full financial disclosure. – I have no problem with that. | -公开财报 -我没问题 |
[18:09] | They want me to take a physical. | 他们要我做身体检查 |
[18:11] | What’s a physical right now gonna show? | 现在做身体检查会有什么结果? |
[18:14] | It’ll… . | 会 |
[18:16] | Nothing. I… . | 没事,我 |
[18:19] | – You’re in remission. – I’m not lying to anybody, Abbey. | -你的病情正在减轻 -我不想说谎,艾碧 |
[18:22] | I’m taking a physical. | 我要做身体检查 |
[18:24] | A physical I’m under no legal obligation to take. | 虽然我完全没有法律义务 |
[18:26] | – I’m doing it voluntarily. – Yeah. | -但我是自愿要做的 -是啊 |
[18:28] | Now is when people are listening. Make my speeches… | 大家都得竖耳倾听 我开始演讲 |
[18:31] | …get whupped on Super Tuesday, and we’ll all go home. | 赢得超级星期二 然后我们都可以回家 |
[18:39] | … headed for South Carolina, we’re planning for South Dakota. | 前往南卡罗莱纳 我们打算去南达科塔 |
[18:43] | And Mrs. Bartlet… Excuse me, Dr. Bartlet… | 还有巴特勒太太 抱歉,巴特勒博士 |
[18:46] | … has yet to mention to anyone that her husband has multiple sclerosis. | 还未向任何人透露 她丈夫患有多重性硬化症 |
[18:52] | The things we do to women. | 我们对女人做的事 |
[18:55] | The chair recognizes the gentleman from Virginia. | 主席指定维吉尼亚州代表发言 |
[18:58] | Congressman Kent. | 肯特主席 |
[18:59] | Chairman, with your permission, I’d like to skip any statement. | 主席,如您容许 我希望能省略全名 |
[19:03] | The chair thanks the gentleman for his consideration. | 主席谢谢这位代表的体谅 |
[19:10] | – Listen. – They’re coming back from the break. | -听着 -他们会趁休息时间回来 |
[19:13] | – Yeah. – You know what I was thinking about? | -是啊 -你知道我在想什么吗? |
[19:16] | About when we threw that basketball through the window… | 当我们在曼彻斯特的竞选总部 |
[19:19] | …of campaign headquarters in Manchester. | 把那个篮球丢出窗户时 |
[19:21] | Wasn’t there. I heard about it. | 我不在那儿,不过我听说过 |
[19:23] | – You weren’t throwing the ball? – It was you, Toby and C.J. | -你没在玩球? -只有你、托比跟茜洁 |
[19:26] | What that must have looked like to somebody on the sidewalk. | 我记得好像看到你 走过人行道 |
[19:29] | I need somebody in the steel lobby to speak to Darren Gibson. | 我需要某个人坐在大厅 跟戴伦吉柏森谈谈 |
[19:32] | Sometime toward the end of this hour. | 最好在一小时内完成 |
[19:34] | – Jim Jericho. – Jim Jericho is who I had. | -吉姆杰利柯 -我找过吉姆杰利柯 |
[19:36] | He had to leave town, his wife’s sick. Who do we have? | 他得离开华府,他老婆病了 还有谁? |
[19:39] | – One of our people? – Nick Grindell. | -我们的人? -尼克葛伦戴 |
[19:41] | I’ll get somebody. What’s this about? | 我去找别人 这是怎么回事? |
[19:44] | – Nothing. – It’s not about nothing. | -没事 -才不可能没事 |
[19:46] | – You want Gibson out. – I’d like them all out. | -你想把吉柏森踢出去 -我想把他们全部踢出去 |
[19:49] | Josh. | 乔西 |
[19:52] | What’s Gibson got? | 吉柏森有什么把柄? |
[19:56] | You’ll get a guy for me? | 你会帮我找个人来吧? |
[19:59] | Yeah. | 会 |
[20:19] | I would like our 10-minute breaks to be closer to 15 minutes… | 我希望10分钟的休息时间 比较接近15分钟 |
[20:23] | … than to a half-hour. | 而不是半小时 |
[20:24] | And with that, the chair recognizes the gentleman from Pennsylvania. | 主席指定宾州代表发言 |
[20:29] | Thank you, Mr. Chairman. I’d like to compliment your committee leadership. | 谢谢,主席先生 我非常敬佩您的委员会领导能力 |
[20:33] | Now, Mr. McGarry, you’re familiar, are you not… | 马加瑞先生 你应该很清楚 |
[20:36] | …with Article Il, Section 1, Clause 6 of the U.S. Constitution? | 美国宪法第6章第1节 第2条吧? |
[20:44] | – We’re gonna have to do this again. – He’s being snotty? | -我们得再做一次 -他又太过分了? |
[20:47] | Yeah. | 对 |
[20:50] | So I was thinking maybe, you know, dinner… | 我在想,也许 你知道的,晚餐 |
[20:53] | Listen to me. I don’t like this. | 听我说,我不喜欢这样 |
[20:55] | You pay me $650 an hour. You tell me everything. | 你每小时付我650块 你必须把一切告诉我 |
[20:58] | What do I have to pay to only tell you some things? | 如果我只想跟你说几件事 我得付多少钱? |
[21:01] | I don’t know, but you have to pay it to another lawyer. | 我不知道 但你得付给另一个律师 |
[21:04] | – So, what are you saying about dinner? – I’m not kidding around. | -那你觉得晚餐如何? -我可不是在开玩笑 |
[21:08] | – Yes. – If something happens to the president… | -是啊 -如果总统发生不幸 |
[21:11] | …the vice president assumes his duties. | 副总统会接替他的责任 |
[21:13] | No, it says the vice president assumes his duties… | 不,宪法说 如果总统死亡 |
[21:16] | …if the president dies. | 副总统才接替他的责任 |
[21:18] | Short of that, impeachment or the 25th Amendment being invoked… | 简而言之,不论弹劾与否 或第25次修正案被采用 |
[21:22] | …the vice president stays vice president. | 副总统仍为副总统 |
[21:24] | Who picked John Hoynes to be running mate? | 是谁挑约翰何尼斯 担任竞选搭档? |
[21:26] | – The president. – He have help? | -总统 -有人帮忙他? |
[21:28] | – Yes. – Do you think… | -是的 -你认为 |
[21:29] | …people might have benefited… | 如果让人民知道 |
[21:31] | …from knowing about the president’s condition? | 总统的病情 会对他们比较有益吗? |
[21:34] | I don’t see how. No. | 我不认为,不 |
[21:36] | With the possibility that the president might die in office? | 即使总统有可能死在办公室里? |
[21:39] | – Hold it. – A greater possibility with this president. | -等等 -这位总统就有这种可能性 |
[21:42] | No, sir. That isn’t true. MS isn’t fatal. | 不,长官,此话非真 多重性硬化症并非致命 |
[21:45] | And while on national television, it is criminal to imply otherwise… | 尤其这是全国性电视转播 利用这种机会 |
[21:49] | …in an offer to score some cheap points. | 宣扬廉价的个人看法 可说是一种犯罪行为 |
[21:53] | You owe an apology to fathers of children suffering from this disease. | 你必须对所有患有该疾病 的病童父亲郑重道歉 |
[21:57] | – Mr. McGarry… – The president chose his running mate… | -马加瑞先生 -总统仅采用唯一的标准 |
[22:00] | …using the only yardstick that means anything: | 选择他的竞选搭档 那就是 |
[22:02] | Ability to assume the duties of the presidency. | 能承担总统职务的能力 |
[22:06] | And with John Hoynes, we got our man. | 约翰何尼斯就是我们要的人 |
[22:08] | And the vice president was immediately told of the president’s condition. | 而且副总统马上被告知 总统的病情 |
[22:12] | I can tell you that when Jed Bartlet takes this stage 72 hours from now… | 我告诉各位,再过72小时 当杰德巴特勒踏上讲台时 |
[22:16] | … these delegates are gonna go absolutely crazy. | 这些代表绝对会疯掉 |
[22:19] | They’ve scheduled 20 minutes for a demonstration, but I don ‘t think… | 他们已经预定要做 20分钟的示威运动,但我不 |
[22:22] | Toby? | 托比? |
[22:24] | – Yeah. – Josh? | -赞成 -乔西? |
[22:26] | Yeah. | 赞成 |
[22:29] | – Sam? – Yeah, I think so. | -山姆? -赞成,大概吧 |
[22:32] | – C.J.? – Yeah. | -茜洁? -赞成 |
[22:35] | – All right, let’s do it. – All right. | -好吧,就这么做 -好吧 |
[22:45] | John? | 约翰? |
[22:49] | Hi, Leo. | 里奥 |
[22:52] | – Hello, Abbey. – Hello, John. | -艾碧 -约翰 |
[22:56] | – Senator. – Good evening. | -参议员 -晚安 |
[22:59] | I’d like you to be the vice president. | 我希望你当我的副总统 |
[23:04] | Sit with Abbey and me for a few minutes. | 陪我跟艾碧聊几分钟 |
[23:07] | Can I have the room, please? | 麻烦大家出去好吗? |
[23:09] | – You want anything? Coffee or anything? – No. | -需要喝点什么吗?咖啡? -不用 |
[23:12] | Bartlet! Bartlet! Bartlet! | 巴特勒!巴特勒!巴特勒! |
[23:15] | You ran a good campaign. | 你的竞选活动很精采 |
[23:19] | You’re a young man. You’ll be back. | 你还年轻,可以再回来 |
[23:21] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[23:29] | There’s something you need to know. It’s why I asked everyone to leave. | 有件事我得让你知道 所以我才要大家离开 |
[23:34] | A few years ago, I was diagnosed with a relapsing/remitting course of MS. | 几年前我被诊断出 患有缓解复发型多重性硬化症 |
[23:39] | – I’m sorry? – Multiple sclerosis. | -什么? -多重性硬化症 |
[23:48] | – Did you just tell me that you have MS? – Yeah. | -你告诉我你患有多重性硬化症? -对 |
[23:52] | Which you never mentioned during the campaign? | 而你从未在选战中提过? |
[23:57] | I told you because it’s something you need to know. | 我告诉你是因为 这件事你必须知道 |
[23:59] | But also because I wanted to show that I trust you. | 但也是因为我想表示 我信任你 |
[24:02] | – Oh, you do? – Yeah. | -是吗? -对 |
[24:08] | That’s supposed to be me accepting the nomination Thursday night. | 我周四晚上本来要接受提名 |
[24:12] | But I suppose your trusting me is consolation prize enough. | 但我认为你信任我这件事 就已经是莫大的鼓舞了 |
[24:18] | Well, what do you say? | 你怎么说? |
[24:25] | – I’d like to think about it. – I’d like your answer now, John. | -先让我考虑考虑 -我希望你现在就回答,约翰 |
[24:32] | You’ll have it when I give it, Jed. | 我想清楚后自然会告诉你,杰德 |
[24:53] | I’m gonna stretch my legs. | 我得去舒展筋骨一下 |
[25:03] | If he could please give him that message as soon as he gets in… | 如果可以 |
[25:07] | …or, you know, when he returns the page. | 麻烦他一进来就告诉他 或者,你知道 |
[25:10] | Cindy, if I could tell you what it was regarding, I’d have told you. | 当他回呼叫器时 辛蒂,如果可以告诉你 |
[25:14] | Sorry. Thank you. | 是什么事情,我早就说了 抱歉,谢谢 |
[25:17] | – They want you. – Where have you been? | -他们在找你 -你跑去哪了? |
[25:21] | – You sent me to the Hill. – Has Sam called? | -你派我去国会山庄 -山姆打电话了没? |
[25:23] | – No. – He didn’t maybe drop off… | -没 -还是他留了一张 |
[25:26] | …a piece of paper with a name on it? – No. | -上面有名字的纸给我? -没 |
[25:28] | – They want you in the Mural Room. – Okay. | -他们要你去壁画室 -好吧 |
[25:39] | – Josh. – And where have you been? | -乔西 -你去哪了? |
[25:41] | – We got it. – The president’s gonna make a decision… | -我们逮到了 -总统要决定 |
[25:45] | – What? – We got it. | -什么? -我们逮到了 |
[25:46] | – What do you mean? – Gilbert Murdock… | -什么意思? -吉伯莫铎 |
[25:48] | …a 17-year-old high school dropout, was pulled over for a failing left brake light. | 17岁国中辍学生 当警察因他刹车灯不亮 |
[25:53] | When the officers approached, he sped off. | 试着要他停下来时 他就逃了 |
[25:55] | – Why? – He thought he was pulled over… | -为什么? -他以为他被停下来的原因 |
[25:57] | …for planning to make a Molotov cocktail. | 是因为他打算制作 一枚莫洛托夫燃烧弹 |
[25:59] | – Why? – Because he was planning to make one. | -为什么? -因为他本来打算做一颗 |
[26:02] | – Name friends? – He’s a tough nut to crack. | -有供出共犯吗? -他很难突破心防 |
[26:04] | – Took almost 20 minutes. – We got a conspiracy. | -大约20分钟才突破 -这就算是阴谋了 |
[26:07] | – Let’s go. – Where? | -走吧 -去哪? |
[26:08] | To brief the president. | 跟总统简报 |
[26:11] | No. The director will brief the president. | 不,主任会跟总统简报 |
[26:14] | Mike, that’s your task force out there. | 麦克,你的特别小组都在那儿 |
[26:16] | The only reason you’re not out there with them… | 你唯一没跟他们在一起的原因 |
[26:18] | …is you’re a woman or something. | 是因为你是娘娘腔或什么的 |
[26:21] | I am desk-assigned for health reasons. A decision I appealed vigorously. | 我被派来这是出于健康因素 我强烈抗议过 |
[26:25] | – Let’s go. – We don’t take curtain calls. | -走吧 -我们不接受掌声欢呼 |
[26:28] | You’ll take a handshake. Let’s go. | 总统会跟你握手,走吧 |
[26:31] | Of course there’s a legal basis. | 这种事当然有法律根据 |
[26:32] | Religious freedom is a civil right. | 宗教自由是一种公民权利 |
[26:34] | The Civil Rights Act of 1964 raises these threats to a federal level. | 1964年的公民法案 将这些威胁提高到联邦等级 |
[26:39] | Credible threats, and no one is trying to take away your civil rights. | 可信的威胁,而且 没有人要夺走你们的公民权 |
[26:43] | – Sin of omission by any other name. – Mr. President. | -那只是忽略之罪的别名 -总统先生 |
[26:45] | – Yeah. – Your decision just got a lot easier. | -什么事 -你的决策将会更容易 |
[26:48] | Tell me. | 说吧 |
[26:50] | Sir, the FBI is ready to call this a credible threat. | 长官,联邦调查局已确定 这是可信的威胁 |
[26:52] | – We have a conspirator in custody. – Conspirator? | -阴谋者已被拘禁 -阴谋者? |
[26:55] | – Yes, sir. – Here come the Tennessee volunteers. | -是的,长官 -田纳西民兵要出动了 |
[26:58] | Reverend, have the pastors encourage the women… | 雷纳德,请牧师要大厨 |
[27:01] | …to bake those guys something. | 为他们烤一些东西吃 |
[27:03] | They’re spending Christmas Eve where they don’t wanna be. | 因为他们得在不想待的地方 过圣诞夜了 |
[27:06] | Ed, you get to be a hero to the blacks in your state. | 艾德,你将会成为全州黑人的英雄 |
[27:08] | Anybody doesn’t like it, the FBI is calling the shots. | 如果有人不高兴 联邦调查局会负责 |
[27:11] | – What could you do? – Thank you, Mr. President. | -你认为呢? -谢谢,总统先生 |
[27:14] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢,长官 |
[27:16] | – I’m sorry, I’ve forgotten your name. – Michael Casper. | -抱歉,我忘记你的名字了 -麦克坎斯柏 |
[27:19] | – How’d you get him? – Pulled over for a bad brake light… | -你们怎么抓到他的? -他的刹车灯不亮被停下来 |
[27:22] | …and thought it was something else. – Two-year investigation… | -他以为自己的罪行曝光 -我们调查了两年 |
[27:25] | …gets its first crack from a taillight. | 却因为尾灯不亮逮到人 |
[27:27] | In 13 years with the bureau, I’ve discovered no amount of money… | 我在局里工作了13年 我发现我们逮到的蠢罪犯 |
[27:30] | …manpower or knowledge can equal the person you’re looking for being stupid. | 与我们所花费的金钱 人力或知识完全不成比例 |
[27:34] | Some of the world’s stupidest criminals… | 世界上最愚蠢的罪犯 |
[27:37] | …are working in America. I’ve always been proud of that. | 有些都在美国工作 我一直都很引以为傲 |
[27:40] | – Yes, sir. – Thank you, Agent Casper. | -是的,长官 -谢谢,坎斯柏探员 |
[27:41] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢,总统先生 |
[27:43] | Mr. McGarry, a different case has been made regarding… | 马加瑞先生 有件事情最近才被发现 |
[27:46] | So, what’s going on? | 情形如何? |
[27:48] | I gotta call him and tell him, you know… . | 我得联络他,告诉他 你知道 |
[27:51] | – It’s not gonna happen? – I don’t think so. | -应该不会成功对吧? -大概不会 |
[27:54] | It was a long shot, anyway. | 反正希望不大 |
[27:56] | Look, I wanted to see him spared this, but Leo’s made out of leather. | 听着,我希望里奥不必受这种罪 但是他很坚强 |
[28:01] | His face has a map of the world on it. Leo comes back. | 他脸上写满了罪恶感 里奥还会回来 |
[28:06] | – Okay. – All right. | -好吧 -好吧 |
[28:09] | … and at no point did you have such personal knowledge? | 你个人完全不知情? |
[28:14] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[28:16] | At no point did he even raise the matter, truthfully or otherwise? | 他也完全没提过这件事 说出实话或暗示等等的? |
[28:20] | -No, sir. – Damn it. | -没有,长官 -可恶 |
[28:24] | -At no point did he lie? -No. | -他也绝对不可能说谎? -对 |
[28:26] | -And at no point did you lie? -No. | -你也绝对不可能说谎? -对 |
[28:29] | At no point did he encourage others to lie? | 他也绝对没有鼓励他人说谎? |
[28:31] | -No. -And at no point… | -对 -他也绝对不可能 |
[28:34] | …has he been unable to discharge his duties? | 无法卸除自己的责任? |
[28:37] | – No. – Thank you. | -对 -谢谢 |
[28:40] | Thank you, Mr. Chairman. | 谢谢,主席先生 |
[28:42] | The chair recognizes the gentleman from Michigan, Mr. Gibson… | 主席想请密西根州代表 吉柏森先生发言 |
[28:46] | …for five minutes. – Thank you, Mr. Chairman. | -5分钟 -谢谢,主席先生 |
[28:50] | Two years ago January, the president collapsed in the Oval Office. | 两年前的一月 总统在椭圆办公室突然崩溃 |
[28:54] | Is that correct? | 对吗? |
[28:56] | I’m not sure what the medical term would be. | 我不确定该医学名称为何 |
[28:59] | – He involuntarily fell to the ground? – Yes. | -他不自主倒地不起? -是的 |
[29:03] | Will minority counsel stipulate that we can call that collapsing? | 请少数党律师将该行为 纪录为崩溃好吗? |
[29:07] | Let the record reflect minority counsel has nodded his head… | 既然纪录显示少数党律师 已经点头 |
[29:10] | …so as to indicate an affirmative response. | 即代表为肯定答覆 |
[29:12] | – So ordered. – Is it the only time… | -比照办理 -那是自从总统 |
[29:14] | …since the president took the Oath of Office that he’s collapsed? | 宣誓担任总统后 首次崩溃吗? |
[29:18] | – So far as I know. – Is it the only time… | -就我所知,目前为止 -那也是总统自 |
[29:20] | …since the beginning of the campaign that he’s collapsed? | 开始竞选以来 首次崩溃吗? |
[29:31] | No, it’s not. | 不,不是 |
[29:36] | I’d like to take you back to 30 October in St. Louis, Missouri. | 我想请各位回溯到 密苏里圣路易斯市10月30日 |
[29:39] | Jed Bartlet is the Democratic nominee for president. | 杰德巴特勒被提名为 民主党总统候选人 |
[29:42] | He is about to participate in the final debate. | 他正要参加最后一次电视辩论 |
[29:44] | Mr. Chairman, I would like to request a short recess. | 主席先生,我想请求暂停 |
[29:47] | – We just got back from one. – We took breaks… | -我们刚刚才暂停过 -几乎每位 |
[29:50] | …at the request of nearly every member of this committee. | 委员都要求过暂停 |
[29:53] | The witness has asked for none. One time, Mr. Chairman. | 而证人从未要求过一次 一次就好,主席先生 |
[29:57] | We’ll take a five-minute break. Please, let’s keep it to 10 minutes. | 我们暂停五分钟 请尽量维持在十分钟内 |
[30:04] | Come with me. | 跟我来 |
[30:08] | – Yeah, it will all come out. – Excuse me. What’s going on? | -事情会水落石出 -抱歉,怎么回事? |
[30:12] | – I was asking the same thing. – I don’t know… | -我也在问 -我不知道 |
[30:14] | …about testimony from October. – I got it. | -关于10月的证词 -我有证据 |
[30:16] | – No, you don’t got it. – We better go someplace and talk. | -不,你没有 -我们最好私底下谈 |
[30:44] | -Yeah? – Leo? | -什么事? -里奥? |
[30:46] | – I couldn’t make it happen. – Don’t worry about it. | -我办不到 -别担心 |
[31:00] | You have to tell me what’s going on or I’m walking out the door. | 你最好告诉我发生什么事 否则我马上走人 |
[31:03] | – Look… – Tell me now. | -听着 -现在就说 |
[31:08] | On the day of the final debate, I was meeting with two potential donors. | 在最后电视辩论那天 我正在跟两个捐款人开会 |
[31:13] | It was nine days till election, we were too close to call… | 还有九天就要投票 情况很危急 |
[31:16] | … and I didn ‘t wanna be the guy who ran out of money first. | 我不想我们成为 第一个把钱用完的候选人 |
[31:20] | You look nervous, Leo. | 你看来很紧张,里奥 |
[31:21] | Don’t worry about it, I brought my wallet. | 你看来很紧张,里奥 别担心 我有带钱包 |
[31:24] | Anybody wanna eat? I got steak sandwiches on the way. | 有人想吃点东西吗? 我叫了一些牛排三明治 |
[31:27] | – Yeah, and let’s have some drinks. – Sure. | -好啊,我们先喝点东西 -当然 |
[31:32] | The president was at the debate site walking the stage. | 总统当时正在辩论会场 熟悉场地 |
[31:35] | A podium is a holy place for him. He makes it his own… | 讲台是他的圣地 仿佛是他的地盘 |
[31:39] | … like it’s an extension of his body. | 就像是他身体的延伸 |
[31:41] | You ever see a pitcher work the mound… | 你看过投手在土墩上走动 |
[31:43] | … so the dirt does what his feet want it to do? That’s the president. | 好让灰尘顺他脚的意飞舞吗? 那就是当总统的料 |
[31:47] | He sees it as a genuine opportunity to change minds. | 他认为辩论大会 是改变人心的真正机会 |
[31:51] | Also as his best way of contributing to the team. | 也是他为团队贡献的最佳方式 |
[31:55] | He likes teams. I love him so much. | 他喜欢团队 我好爱他 |
[31:57] | – What was going on in your room? – I like the little things. | -你房间发生什么事? -我喜欢这些小事情 |
[32:01] | – I didn’t hear you. – I said, I like the little things. | -我没听到 -我说,我喜欢这些小事情 |
[32:06] | The way a glass feels in your hand. A good glass… | 玻璃杯拿在手中的感觉 上好的玻璃杯 |
[32:09] | …thick, with a heavy base. | 厚实,有重量 |
[32:11] | I love the sound an ice cube makes… | 我喜欢冰块发出的声音 |
[32:13] | …when you drop it from just the right height. | 当你从正确的高度 把冰块放下去 |
[32:16] | Too high and it’ll chip when you drop it. | 太高的话,冰块会碎掉 |
[32:19] | Chip the ice and it’ll melt too fast in the Scotch. | 冰块碎掉的话 就会在威士忌里融化太快 |
[32:22] | You ever try this, Leo? It’s Johnnie Walker Blue. | 你试过吗,里奥? 约翰走路蓝牌 |
[32:25] | Bartenders are selling it for 30 bucks a shot. | 酒保卖一小杯要30块美金 |
[32:31] | Good Scotch sits in a charcoal barrel for 12 years. | 优质的威士忌 得在木桶里待12年 |
[32:35] | Very good Scotch gets smoked for 29 years. | 上好的威士忌则要薰29年 |
[32:40] | Johnnie Walker Blue is 60-year-old Scotch. | 约翰走路蓝牌 是60年的老威士忌 |
[32:45] | I don’t care. What happened in the room, Leo? | 我不想知道 那天发生了什么事,里奥? |
[32:47] | I’m trying to tell you what happened. | 我正试着告诉你 |
[32:56] | Should we get to it? | 我们该来谈正事了吧? |
[32:57] | You don’t wanna find out what a $30 sip of Scotch tastes like? | 你不试试30美金一口的威士忌 是什么味道吗? |
[33:01] | No, I gotta stay sharp for tonight. | 不了,我今晚得保持清醒 |
[33:05] | – Why not just say,”I’m an alcoholic”? – They’re two CEOs. | -为什么不直接说“我是酒鬼”? -他们是董事长 |
[33:08] | I’m trying to get them to give me half a million apiece. | 我还得拜托他们 每人给我50万呢 |
[33:11] | It’s not really the best time to mention it. | 那可不是说这种话的好时机 |
[33:13] | The president’s still at the debate site. | 总统还在辩论会场 |
[33:15] | – How do you feel about the temperature? – Good. | -你觉得温度可以吗? -很好 |
[33:18] | – It’s not too cold? – It won’t be later. | -不会太冷吗? -待会就不会了 |
[33:20] | This is a 550-seat theater, and they’ll be seated a half-hour before we start. | 这是个550人座的戏院 他们得坐上半个小时等我们辩论 |
[33:24] | So the temperature will be up 4 to 6 degrees. | 所以温度会再上升个 4到6度 |
[33:27] | – The hotel room, Leo. – We already gave to the RNC. | -旅馆房间,里奥 -我们已经交给共和党全国委员会 |
[33:30] | We’re worried we backed the wrong horse. | 我们担心下注给错的马 |
[33:32] | You wanna hedge your bet. | 你想保障你的筹码 |
[33:33] | – That’s why we’re here. – Good. | -所以我们才在这儿 -很好 |
[33:36] | Give me a sip of that. | 给我喝一口 |
[33:43] | That’s what I remember. | 我想起来了 |
[33:47] | – You had a drink? – I’m an alcoholic. | -你喝了一杯? -我是酒鬼 |
[33:50] | I don’t have one drink. | 我不会只喝一杯 |
[33:52] | I don’t understand people who have one drink. | 我不了解只喝一杯的人 |
[33:55] | I don’t understand people who leave half a glass of wine on the table. | 我不了解怎么会有人 酒没喝完放在桌上 |
[33:59] | I don’t understand people who say they’ve had enough. | 我不了解怎么会有人说 他们已经喝够了 |
[34:01] | How can you have enough of feeling like this? | 那种感觉怎么可能会够? |
[34:04] | How can you not wanna feel like this longer? | 你怎么可能不想延长这种感觉? |
[34:09] | My brain works differently. | 我的大脑运作方式不同 |
[34:12] | Who was the third person in the room? | 谁是房间里的第三个人? |
[34:14] | Well, now we’ve arrived at our problem. | 现在问题来了 |
[34:17] | – Count on it. – You wanna be careful there. | -我就靠它了 -小心点 |
[34:21] | You’re not the big-money party, we are. | 你可不是大财主,我们才是 |
[34:24] | Did I mention that he’s thinking about running for Congress? | 我提过 他想竞选国会议员的事吗? |
[34:27] | I’m thinking about it. | 我正在考虑 |
[34:29] | – You were drunk in front of Gibson? – I don’t get drunk in front of people… | -你在吉柏森面前喝醉? -我不在人们面前喝醉 |
[34:33] | …I get drunk alone. | 我只独饮 |
[34:36] | They were going over something at the debate site. | 他们在辩论会场彩排 |
[34:39] | -I don ‘t wanna hear about the site. -The debate site is what happened. | -我不想知道会场的事 -事情就是在会场发生的 |
[34:42] | The debate site is how he gets to bring this up here. | 他就是因为知道辩论会场的事 才会在这里撒野 |
[34:46] | – Where’s Leo? – I’d like to go over… | -里奥人呢? -我想再排一次 |
[34:48] | …the Social Security answer. We gotta get it to 90 seconds. | 关于社会安全的回答 我们必须控制在90秒内 |
[34:51] | – It’s down to 90 seconds. – It’s not. They’ll cut him off. | -已经缩减到90秒了 -没有,他们要把他剪掉 |
[34:54] | I’ll put a stopwatch on him when he speeds up. | 我会在他面前放码表 以免他开始加速 |
[34:56] | When he speeds up, he speeds up. When he doesn’t, it’s 90 seconds. | 如果他要加速就加速 如果不,那就90秒 |
[35:00] | – We need to cut. – Which words? | -我们得剪掉 -哪一段? |
[35:01] | Governor, what do you think? Governor? | 州长,你认为呢? 州长? |
[35:04] | – We were saying the Social Security… – No. | -我们认为社会安全 -不 |
[35:09] | – It’s a tight 90 seconds and… – No, no, not now. | -我们只有90秒 -不不要现在 |
[35:12] | Well, we gotta do it now, sir. | 我们得现在就做,长官 |
[35:15] | – Something’s wrong. – Governor? | -事情不对劲 -州长? |
[35:17] | – Yeah. – Governor? | -什么 -州长? |
[35:19] | – Gabby. – You wanna sit down? | -叫艾碧 -你想坐下吗? |
[35:21] | – Let me get some water. – Gabby. | -我去拿水来 -叫艾碧 |
[35:23] | – He’s saying,”Get Abbey.” – Get Abbey! | -他说“叫艾碧” -去叫艾碧! |
[35:29] | C.J. | 茜洁 |
[35:31] | -He had an attack? -I mean, the doctor said… | -他心脏病发? -医生说 |
[35:34] | … it was an inner-ear infection. | 那是内耳感染 |
[35:36] | But all Josh knew when he called was he collapsed. | 但当乔西打电话给我时 他是说他崩溃了 |
[35:38] | I was supposed to be down there already. | 我当时本来应该要在会场 |
[35:41] | I was supposed to be down there an hour ago. | 我一个小时前就该到了 |
[35:58] | – Yeah? -Leo, the governor’s sick. | -什么事? -里奥,州长病了 |
[36:03] | – Okay. -He collapsed. You gotta get down here. | -好 -他崩溃了,你得马上过来 |
[36:07] | -Leo. – Okay. | -里奥 -好 |
[36:08] | – It’s Gibson. – Okay! | -我是吉柏森 -好! |
[36:18] | Okay! | 好! |
[36:21] | Okay. | 好 |
[36:29] | – Hey. – Forgot my briefcase. | -嗨 -我忘了我的办公包 |
[36:37] | – You having a party? – I gotta get to the debate site. | -你在办派对? -我得赶去辩论会场 |
[36:41] | The governor collapsed. | 州长崩溃了 |
[36:51] | I don ‘t understand how you could have a drink. | 我不懂你怎么可以喝一杯 |
[36:54] | I don ‘t understand how after everything you worked for… | 我不懂经过这么多年的经营 |
[36:57] | …how on that day, of all days, you could be so stupid. | 怎么会在那一天 你会如此愚蠢 |
[37:00] | That’s because you think it has something to do with smart and stupid. | 那是因为你以为 这一切只跟聪明愚蠢有关 |
[37:04] | Do you have any idea how many alcoholics are in Mensa? | 你知道高智商者俱乐部里 有多少酗酒的人? |
[37:09] | You think it’s a lack of willpower? | 你以为这只是缺乏意志力的问题? |
[37:12] | That’s like thinking somebody with anorexia nervosa… | 这就好像把有厌食症的人 |
[37:15] | …has an overdeveloped sense of vanity. | 当成过度爱慕虚荣者一样 |
[37:19] | My father was an alcoholic, his father was an alcoholic. | 我父亲是酒鬼 他父亲也是酒鬼 |
[37:23] | – So in my case… – Ain’t nothing but a family thing. | -所以以我来说 -只不过是家族遗传 |
[37:26] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[37:28] | – Who knows? – Josh Lyman and the president. | -还有谁知情? -乔西赖曼跟总统 |
[37:31] | – Why nobody else? – Because. | -为什么没别人知道? -因为 |
[37:34] | That’s a little boy’s answer. | 这回答太天真了 |
[37:36] | I went to rehab, my friends embraced me when I got out. | 我去复健中心 当我出院时,朋友拥抱我 |
[37:40] | You relapse, it’s not like that. | 你又重犯,情形就不一样了 |
[37:42] | “Get away from me,” that’s what it’s like. | “离我远一点” 这是我的情形 |
[37:45] | – We’re back in a minute. – Thank you. | -我们得马上回去 -谢谢 |
[37:51] | Just out of curiosity… | 我只是出于好奇 |
[37:53] | …why have you asked me to have a meal with you every five minutes? | 你为什么每五分钟 就邀请我跟你吃饭? |
[37:56] | I like you. I’ve been trying to get it in under the wire. | 我喜欢你 我希望能在今天结束前约到你 |
[38:02] | You’ll answer the questions simply and directly. | 请你直截了当回答问题 |
[38:04] | I don’t wanna hear about Mensa. That’ll be my job. | 我不想知道高智商者俱乐部的事 这是我的工作 |
[38:08] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[38:20] | – Yes, by the way. – Yes, what? | -是的,顺便一提 -是什么? |
[38:22] | Yes, I’d like to have dinner with you tonight. | 是的,我很乐意跟你吃晚餐 |
[38:27] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[38:29] | – That’s where you’re going? – Yeah. | -这就是你的目的? -对 |
[38:31] | – Just to embarrass the guy? -“Just”? | -只是要羞辱他? -“只是”? |
[38:33] | Leo McGarry’s sobriety isn’t the subject of these hearings. | 里奥马加瑞的酗酒问题 并不是公听会的目的 |
[38:36] | These hearings are to investigate if any rules, ethical or otherwise… | 本公听会是要调查杰德巴特勒 在担任总统期间 |
[38:40] | …were broken by Jed Bartlet while he was running for president. | 是否有任何违纪情事 或道德缺失 |
[38:43] | That’s nice. I live in the actual world… | 说的真好 可是我住在现实世界里 |
[38:45] | …where the object of the hearings is to win. | 公听会的目的是要赢这场官司 |
[38:48] | – No, it’s not. – It’s the object of the majority. | -不,并不是 -这是多数党的目的 |
[38:51] | Not while I’m majority counsel, it’s not. This is bush-league. | 只要我是多数党律师,就不是 这是第二流政党干的事 |
[38:54] | This is why good people hate us. This. Right here. This thing. | 所以好人才讨厌我们 就是这种事,此时此地 |
[38:58] | This isn’t what these hearings are about. | 这不是公听会的目的 |
[39:00] | He can’t have been prepared by counsel for these questions… | 他不可能在律师协助下 准备好这些答案 |
[39:03] | …nor should he have to answer them publicly. | 他也没必要公开 回答这些问题 |
[39:06] | If you proceed with this line of questioning, I will resign this committee. | 如果你执意继续问这些问题 我就辞去委员会一职 |
[39:09] | And wait in the tall grass for you, congressman… | 并为了你躲在草丛里 议员 |
[39:13] | …because you are killing the party. | 因为你正在扼杀我们的党 |
[39:20] | Who the hell is this? | 这家伙打哪来的? |
[39:23] | You don’t have to make up your mind, Mr. Chairman. | 你不必现在做决定 主席先生 |
[39:26] | You don’t. Declare a recess till after the holidays. | 你可以宣布休会 直到假期结束 |
[39:28] | Buy yourself two weeks. | 给自己两周时间 |
[39:30] | And give him two weeks to circle the wagons? | 也给他两周时间 好准备答案? |
[39:33] | How do you think the speaker’s gonna feel about it? To say nothing of the RNC. | 你以为发言人会就此罢休吗? 更别提共和党全国委员会 |
[39:40] | I need a minute. | 给我一分钟 |
[40:01] | I tried everybody. | 我每个人都找了 |
[40:04] | – It’s all right. – I tried everybody. It was a tough fit. | -没关系 -我每个人都找了,真的很难 |
[40:07] | – I couldn’t tell them what it was about… – They’re back. | -我也不能跟他们说详情 -他们回来了 |
[40:12] | Let’s come to order. | 我们回到原来程序 |
[40:17] | Mr. Gibson, you can proceed with your questioning. | 吉柏森先生 请继续问问题 |
[40:20] | Thank you, Mr. Chairman. | 谢谢,主席先生 |
[40:23] | Mr. McGarry, 30 October in St. Louis, Missouri. | 马加瑞先生,10月30日在 密苏里州圣路易斯市 |
[40:28] | – The day Jed Bartlet was… – No, I’m sorry. | -那天杰德巴特勒 -不,我很抱歉 |
[40:31] | Mr. McGarry, it’s been a long day. Unless counsel has an objection… | 马加瑞先生,今天已经够长了 除非律师提出抗议 |
[40:34] | …I’m gonna resume this after the holidays. | 否则我将宣布休会 假期结束后再重开 |
[40:37] | What? | 什么? |
[40:40] | – Mr. Chairman… – That concludes questioning for today. | -主席先生 -包括今天的问题 |
[40:43] | We’ll pick it up here when the chairman gavels these hearings back to order. | 当主席敲槌时 我们再继续今天的问题 |
[40:47] | – I’m sorry? – You’re done, sir. | -什么? -你可以回去了 |
[40:48] | The House Reform and Government Oversight Committee is in recess… | 众议院监督政府专案宣布休会 |
[40:52] | …until January the 5th and the chair wishes everyone a Merry Christmas. | 直到1月5日 主席祝各位圣诞快乐 |
[41:00] | – What the hell? – I don’t know. | -搞什么鬼? -我不知道 |
[41:03] | We have two weeks. | 我们有两周时间 |
[41:05] | – I really had to tell you the damn story? – Shut up. I’m going to dinner with you. | -我一定得告诉你整件事? -闭嘴,我要跟你吃晚餐 |
[41:09] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[41:14] | Hey, listen. | 听着 |
[41:17] | You wanna do it tomorrow night instead? | 我们可不可以明天吃? |
[41:19] | – What’s tomorrow night? – It’s Christmas Eve. | -明天什么日子? -圣诞夜 |
[41:25] | – Okay. | – Okay. -好吧 -好吧 |
[42:27] | Well, well, well. Dodged a bullet. | 闪过一颗子弹�� |
[42:31] | – For the moment. – Which is more than I can say… | -暂时而已 -我在罗斯林的时候 |
[42:34] | …for me at Rosslyn. – Yeah. | -被跑轰得更惨 -是啊 |
[42:37] | – Did you get a date with her? – It’s none of your business. | -你约到她了吗? -干卿何事 |
[42:41] | I just came back to catch up on some work. | 我只是回来看看 |
[42:44] | See how badly you screwed up this church thing in Tennessee. | 看看你把田纳西教堂搞得多惨 |
[42:47] | I did the church thing in Tennessee okay and did it without you. | 我把田纳西的事办得好好的 没有你我也做得到 |
[42:52] | You mind if I make calls, make sure Tennessee’s still a state and stuff? | 你介意我打通电话 确认田纳西还是我们的一州 |
[42:55] | So anyway, I have a present for you. | 我有个礼物要给你 |
[43:02] | Merry Christmas, Leo. | 圣诞快乐,里奥 (选巴特勒当美国总统) |
[43:16] | That was awfully nice of you. | 你真的对我太好了 |