时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | Nobody’s happy you lost Carrick. | Carrick的事情大家都对你不满意 |
[00:09] | I have to take you out to the woodshed and whack you with a two-by-four. | 所以我不得不把你带去柴房用木棍 抽两下 |
[00:14] | Claudia Jean, usually it takes an hour to hate me and everything I stand for. | C.J.你认识我才4分钟,一般人要1小时后 才会开始讨厌我和我的一切立场 |
[00:19] | Is Angela Blake taking over Legislative Affairs? | Angela Blake是来接管立法事务的? |
[00:22] | I’m trying to get through the week. | 我正在努力捱过这个星期 |
[00:24] | Did you hear about the chief justice? | 你听说首席大法官的事了吗? |
[00:26] | He was presiding at a moot court competition at NYU. | 他在纽约大学主持模拟法庭竞赛. |
[00:28] | Thought he was at the Supreme Court. | 还以为他在主持最高法院老实待着 |
[00:30] | -We can’t start another New Deal. -How about fighting for the old one… | -我们现在不能再新开另外的议案了 -那就应该全力抗争现在的这个… |
[00:33] | …instead of haggling with Republicans over how much to cut? | …而不是去和共和党讨价还价到底 减多少税好? |
[00:38] | You know what this is? It’s Korematsu. The mood is Korematsu. | 你知道吗,这根本就是Korematsu案的重演 (Korematsu战时拘留在美日裔的著名案例) |
[00:42] | Come on, they’re systematically targeting– | 才不是这样, 他们是有系统有目标的– |
[00:44] | You’re saying there’s no compelling government interest? | 你敢说这里完全不涉及 强制性的政府利益? |
[00:47] | There’s gotta be a less discriminatory way to pursue it… | 总有比去搜寻所有名字叫… |
[00:50] | …than frisking every Tom, Dick and Hamid. | Tom, Dick 和 Hamid的人 更有效的办法吧 |
[00:53] | I’ll bet you a pickle that Tom’s not an Arab name. | 我敢打赌Tom决不是一个阿拉伯名字 |
[00:57] | It’s Korematsu all over again. | 所以我说还是Korematsu案 |
[00:59] | There’s a reason Korematsu’s never been overturned. | Korematsu案没有被翻案是有原因的 |
[01:02] | Okay, you’re defending Japanese internment? | 你现在又开始为扣留日本人 的合法性辩护了? |
[01:05] | Next you’re gonna tell me Dred Scott got lost looking for l-95. | 下一步你该会说Dred Scott(黑奴案例) 不过是在95号洲际公路上迷了路 |
[01:08] | -It’s a loaded gun. -Not this again. | -这就像把上了膛的枪 -又来了… |
[01:11] | Lisa, the Korematsu case is a loaded gun, just waiting… | Lisa, Korematsu案就好比一把上了膛的枪 一直都在等着某位… |
[01:14] | …for some martial-law-loving solicitor general– | …喜欢戒严法的副司法部长 |
[01:17] | He’s right. He’s right. It’s a dangerous precedent. | 他是对的. 他是对的 这是一个危险的先例 |
[01:20] | -Are you gonna finish your chips? -Salt and vinegar. I wanna live to 30. | -你打算把那些洋芋片吃完吗? -盐和醋. 我还打算活到30岁呢 |
[01:25] | So the court shouldn’t consider the potential for sabotage… | 难道法庭就不该考虑那些潜在的… |
[01:28] | …a compelling governmental interest? | …对需要强制保障的政府利益的威胁? |
[01:31] | It was after Pearl Harbor. You could argue it was for their own safety. | 那是在珍珠港事件之后 你可以说他们是为了保障自身安全 |
[01:35] | Let’s put you in a stockade, then. It’s a jungle out there. | 设身处地想一下吧 |
[01:42] | -Matt, sir? -I have to do the subcite… | -Matt, 先生? -我必须在上课前… |
[01:46] | …before class… | …把注解作好… |
[01:49] | …finish my con law reading. | …再完成我的法律精读 |
[01:55] | I’m sorry, sir. I don’t… . | 抱歉, 先生. 我不… |
[02:04] | They’re ready, Mr. Chief Justice. | 他们准备好了, 首席大法官先生. |
[02:10] | Do you need help with that, sir? | 您需要帮忙吗, 先生? |
[02:17] | -Oh, God. -Helen, call an ambulance. | -噢, 天哪. -Helen, 叫救护车. |
[02:20] | -Sir? Sir? -Is he all right? | -先生? 先生? -他没什么事吧? |
[02:22] | -Helen, call an ambulance! -Okay, here it is. | -Helen, 叫救护车! -好了, 听好– |
[02:25] | “Chief Justice Roy Ashland need not be enlarged in death… | “首席大法官Roy Ashland不是一个 |
[02:29] | …beyond what he was in life: an idealist, not an icon… | ..需要靠死亡来被夸大的角色: 一个理想主义者 而不是一个偶像 |
[02:33] | …a man, not a monument, a believer in the irreducible power of the law… | 一个男人, 而非一座碑石, 坚定地相信 这个社会需要至高无上的法律… |
[02:38] | -…to shape our society. ” -Be careful about saying “man. “ | -…来约束 ” -不过用”男人”这词时还是要小心 |
[02:40] | -Why, because–? Come on. -You’d be surprised. I get letters. | -为什么, 就因为–? 别这样 -别惊讶. 我可收到过投诉 |
[02:43] | Fine, “human being,” then. Or do the other mammals complain? | 好吧, 那就说 “人类” 好了 不知道其他的哺乳动物会不会抗议? |
[02:47] | -Hey. -Who said you could come in here? | -嗨 -谁说你可以来这里的? |
[02:49] | -It’s all right, I’m over the flu. -You had the flu? | -没关系的, 我的流感已经好了 -你还得了流感? |
[02:52] | Are we talking about replacements for Ashland? | 你们是不是在谈Ashland法官的继任? |
[02:54] | Grandin, Keith and Toland. And no, we’re not talking about it. | Grandin, Keith 还是 Toland? 噢不 我们并没有谈这个 |
[02:58] | If the vice president had a few names not to talk about… | 那如果副总统需要会见一些人… |
[03:01] | …where would he offer not–? Never mind. I can guess. | …我们是不是应该–? 没关系. 我能猜得到. |
[03:04] | -Counsel’s office. -Leaving now. | -顾问办公室 -我消失中 |
[03:06] | -He had another researcher quit. -What is that–? | -他又有一个研究员辞职了 -那是不是–? |
[03:08] | -Third since you left. -Let me guess. | -你走后的第三个 -让我猜猜 |
[03:10] | She was turned off by the vow of poverty? | 她是因为立下要贫民誓言才离开的? |
[03:13] | -Flowers say, “I’m sorry. ” -Leave. | -花儿对你说, “我很抱歉” -消失! |
[03:17] | You seem happy. | 你看起来很高兴. |
[03:19] | -Excuse me? -Happy. You know… | -你说什么? -高兴. 就是… |
[03:22] | …the sensation fellow mammalians occasionally experience? | …哺乳动物偶尔也有直觉 |
[03:25] | Haffley’s treating the discretionary budget like a chew toy. | Haffley在预算上任意妄为 像狗儿啃玩具一般 |
[03:29] | We’re about to cave on tax cuts for billionaires… | 让我们亿万富翁们减税的事情上妥协 |
[03:32] | …and who the hell knows what else Angela Blake is giving away in there. | 谁TMD知道 Angela Blake 还会在谈判桌上送出去什么 |
[03:36] | But you know what? We’re gonna appoint a new chief justice. | 但是你知道吗? 我们将要任命一个新的首席大法官 |
[03:39] | Breathe new life into the Constitution. The last five guys didn’t get to do it. | 赋予宪法新的活力 前面5个总统都没有机会做这件事 |
[03:45] | We’ll shape the future of jurisprudence… | 我们将要重塑法学的未来… |
[03:47] | …the laws that sustain our society… | …让法律来维持这个社会… |
[03:49] | …or shove somebody in there to strike down… | 让我们的新法官把 共和党通过的那些… |
[03:52] | …these awful laws Republicans are passing. | ..垃圾法律一一废除 |
[03:54] | -Hey. Sorry, but there’s news– -Enough already. | -嗨. 抱歉, 但是有一个新闻– -够了 |
[03:57] | Buffalo Bob’s not picking the next chief justice. | 不会由野牛Bob(副总统) 来挑选下一任大法官的 |
[03:59] | Neither’s the president. Ashland regained consciousness. | 看来总统也没这个机会了 Ashland 恢复意识了 |
[04:02] | Seems it was only exhaustion, and his doctors say he’ll make a full recovery. | 看来他只是累坏了而已 医生说他完全可以康复 |
[04:58] | I wouldn ‘t characterize this as a crisis or a breakdown. | 我不认为这次是一次危机或是崩溃 |
[05:00] | Here’s other things it’s not: a showdown, a stalemate… | 同样也不是摊牌或是陷入僵局… |
[05:03] | …a standoff or a textbook example of partisan gridlock. | …或是局势趋冷 或者党派政治弊病的教科书案例 |
[05:06] | Donna? Donna? | |
[05:08] | The president has full faith in the negotiation team…. | 总统充分相信谈判小组的能力… |
[05:11] | Do we have any pills left from that naval doctor? | 那个海军医生有没有留下什么药在这里? |
[05:14] | -Admiral Feelgood? -The cold and sinus stuff. | -海军上将Feelgood? -治感冒鼻塞一类的 |
[05:16] | The ones that made you sing “Bye-bye, Miss American Pie”? | 吃了会让你唱 “再会,美国小妞” 的那种? |
[05:19] | It was Harry Chapin. Those big blue things. | 那是Harry Chapin的歌 就是那种大块的蓝色的… |
[05:22] | Bet you looked cute when the airmen had to carry you off of Air Force One. | 听说空乘人员不得不把你拖离空军一号 那时候你看起来一定很搞笑 |
[05:26] | -C.J.’s making that up. -I’ve got some echinacea. | -那是C.J.编的 -我有一些草药 |
[05:29] | Nothing natural. I need the industrial-strength… | 我不要天然的 我要工业制剂… |
[05:31] | …full-throttle, Roto-Rooter stuff. | …超强杀伤力全面抗病毒的 |
[05:34] | -Bartram from The Times called. -About what? | -时代周刊的Bartram打过电话来 -他说什么? |
[05:37] | -Budget stalemate. -I don’t know anything. | -问预算僵局的事 -我一无所知 |
[05:39] | That’s what I told him. I mean, not exactly. I said you’re busy… | 我也这么跟他说 当然也不是一字不差的这么说的 |
[05:43] | …with things and can’t do press calls. | 我说你很忙 忙很多公事 没空接媒体的电话 |
[05:45] | Didn’t it occur to you to say I was in the Oval? | 你就不能说我在总统办公室吗? |
[05:47] | I said you’re working on the trip to Japan. | 我说你在忙着安排总统去日本的计划 |
[05:49] | You’re only supposed to take one. Stay away from heavy machinery. | 只吃一片 别靠近重型机械 |
[05:54] | Fortunately, Pa and I brought in the winter wheat yesterday. | 幸运的是, 昨天Pa和我带了冬小麦来 |
[05:57] | I don’t have to operate the combine. | 所以我不用去操作联合收割机了 |
[05:59] | -What if we don’t get a budget deal? -We get another continuing resolution. | -如果在预算方案上不能达成协议怎么办? -再弄一个延迟法案 |
[06:03] | Here’s what I don’t get. We take these budget extensions… | 这就是我不明白的地方了 我们每次申请延迟法案 |
[06:06] | -…like the dog ate our homework. -The Republican majority. Close. | -就像小孩跟老师说家庭作业被狗吃了一样 -共和党人可都成年了. 但的确很像 |
[06:09] | People aren’t outraged? They can’t take endless amounts of time to finish work. | 为什么人们不愤怒呢? 这样无限制的拖延工作可不行 |
[06:13] | You forget the beauty of the federal budget process. | -你忘了还有可爱的联邦预算程序了 -是什么东东? |
[06:16] | -No one understands it. -Yeah. | -没人知道 -那就是了 |
[06:18] | The speaker’s in front of a lot microphones. I got a call… | 议长正在媒体面前大放厥词 我接到一个Mel Garber打来的电话 |
[06:21] | -…from Mel Garber, a producer for . -Did you take the call? | -他是 的一个制片人 -你跟他通话了么? |
[06:25] | -I didn’t know who he was. -He works for Diane Mathers. | -我不知道他是谁 -他为Diane Mathers工作 |
[06:27] | Yeah. He wanted to know about my statement… | 是的. 他想知道在Zoey被绑架期间 |
[06:29] | …to the Secret Service during Zoey’s kidnapping. | 我对特勤局作的陈述 |
[06:32] | Hey, C.J., senior staff in two. | 嘿, C.J., 高级幕僚2线 |
[06:34] | The ecstasy? Did you talk to him about it? | 关于嗑药? 你跟他说了什么没有? |
[06:37] | Of course not. I took the guy’s name very politely and hung up very politely. | 当然没有. 我很礼貌的问了他的名字 然后客气的挂掉了 |
[06:41] | -What was I to do? -You did the right thing. | -我没做错什么吧? -你做得很对 |
[06:44] | -What do I do now? -Nothing. I’ve got it. Thanks, Charlie. | -那我现在怎么做? -什么都别做. 我来处理 谢谢,Charlie |
[06:47] | -He’s not returning the president’s calls? -He’s in intensive care. | -他连总统的电话都不回? -他可在深切治疗部啊 |
[06:50] | -I don’t think they have phones in there. -Intensive care? | -那里可没什么电话 -深切治疗部? |
[06:53] | -CNN said it was exhaustion. -Yeah. | -CNN说他只是累坏了而已 -是啊 |
[06:57] | -So how do we know he’s not–? -We don’t. | -那我们怎么知道他是不是–? -我们不知道 |
[06:59] | -He’s 84. -So? My grandfather lived to be 90. | -他已经84了 -那又怎样? 我爷爷活到90呢 |
[07:03] | My grandfather lived to be 96, but the last 20 years… | 我爷爷还活到96呢, 但最后的20年… |
[07:06] | …he thought the Habsburgs still lived in Vienna. | …他都以为哈普斯堡皇室还住在维也纳 |
[07:08] | How long before this gets dangerous, Leo? | 这会变得越来越危险的, Leo? |
[07:11] | Before we’ve got a cadaver ruling on when life begins? | 我们可不能等一个死人来主持 这个社会的正义 |
[07:13] | We’re talking about an ally of the president’s. | 我们谈论的可是总统的同盟啊 |
[07:16] | We’re talking about an empty robe. I don’t like this any more than you do. | 我们谈的是一个重要的空缺职位 我比你更不希望这种事发生 |
[07:20] | If Roy Ashland were a religion, I’d convert. | 如果Roy Ashland是一种信仰, 我第一个皈依他 |
[07:22] | But what happens if we wait until he’s senile or ends up in a coma? | 但如果他已经老到不能工作或者 永远昏迷 怎么办? |
[07:26] | Then what? | 接下来会怎样? |
[07:28] | We go to a Republican Congress to impeach? Haffley will never do that. | 难道到时再去共和党人的国会去搞弹劾? Haffley不会让我们如愿的 |
[07:33] | He’ll leave Ashland on a respirator until one of them… | 他会让Ashland靠呼吸机撑下去 直到他们的人… |
[07:36] | …wears the Windbreaker on Air Force One. | …来享受空军一号为止 |
[07:38] | -How are budget negotiations going? -They were there until midnight. | -预算谈判进展如何? -他们昨天一直谈到半夜 |
[07:41] | -Back this morning at 6. -And? | -今早6点又开始谈了 -然后呢? |
[07:44] | Apparently, they’re closer on maritime subsidies. | 显然, 他们快要谈到海事津贴上了 |
[07:46] | -Is she in over her head? -It was a mess. | -她头脑还清醒吧? -这本来就是一个烂摊子 |
[07:49] | Angela’s gonna make the best deal she can and get us out in one piece. | Angela能谈出一个好结果来的 她能让我们顺利过关 |
[07:52] | If the chief justice won’t take calls, maybe we need to send someone. | 既然首席大法官不能接电话 也许我们应该派人去看看他 |
[07:56] | What, just show up with a bunch of balloons and peanut brittle? | 什么, 带一堆气球和花生糖 作出去探病的样子吗? |
[07:59] | -It’s time to get Ashland off the bench. -There’s a thing called the Constitution. | -是时候让Ashland下台了 -别忘了有种东西叫宪法 |
[08:03] | It’s a nagging little document, but… . | 虽然只是一本唠唠叨叨的小本子, 但是… |
[08:06] | What’s this about you breaking somebody’s coffee mug? | 你干吗打碎别人的咖啡杯? |
[08:09] | -What? -Personnel says… | -什么? -有职员说… |
[08:11] | …another one of your researchers quit, that you broke her mug. | …又有一个你的研究员辞职了, 因为你打碎人家的咖啡杯 |
[08:15] | It was a ceramic hippo. | 还是一个河马型陶瓷杯 |
[08:18] | It got in the way of a misfiled copy of the Congressional Record I was– | 那杯子挡住了一份归错档的国会议事录 所以– |
[08:21] | -Refiling with your throwing arm? -Can we get back to the chief justice? | -所以你就狠狠将它摔出去? -能不能接着谈首席大法官的事? |
[08:25] | What is this, the fourth researcher this month? | 不到底是怎么回事 已经是这个月第四个研究员了? |
[08:28] | -Third. -Leo, he’s ready for you. | -第三个. -Leo, 总统在等你 |
[08:30] | Stop breaking things. | 别再打破东西了 |
[08:32] | I don’t need the victims of Hippogate filing class-action suits. | 我可不想接到”河马受害者”们的共同起诉 |
[08:36] | It’s gonna be a brisk 42 tomorrow. | 看来明天的天气很很凉爽 |
[08:38] | Time to break out that Irish fishing sweater… | 是时候要穿那件爱尔兰捕鱼毛衣了… |
[08:41] | …C.J. says makes me look like an Irish fisherman. | …C.J.说我穿起来像爱尔兰渔夫 |
[08:44] | -Oh, no. -I’m past the infectious stage. | -我没有 -我已经过了传染期了 |
[08:47] | Excuse me, sir, if I may. This Diane Mathers interview– | 很抱歉先生请允许我说说 关于 Diane Mathers 那个节目– |
[08:50] | -You still have a problem? -Yes, I do. | -你觉得有所不妥? -是的 |
[08:52] | -Abbey thinks it’ll be fine. I think so too. -Yes, sir, but– | -Abbey觉得可以. 我也赞同 -是的先生但是– |
[08:56] | -Where’s Angela, Leo? -They were here most of the night… | -Angela在哪儿, Leo? -他们昨晚谈到半夜… |
[08:59] | -…came back this morning. -She knew this was at 10? | -…今天一大早又回来 -她知道10点钟开会吗? |
[09:02] | -She’ll be here in a minute. -What else? | -她很快就来 -还有什么? |
[09:04] | The chief justice still isn’t returning calls. | 首席大法官还是没回电话 |
[09:07] | I tried him a couple times. They’re saying it was exhaustion? | 是啊我打了好几次了 他们说他只是累坏了? |
[09:10] | Yes, sir. But we can’t get anyone to confirm it. | 是的, 先生 但是我们现在不能确定 |
[09:13] | His doctors are referring us to his office. | 医生只在办公室和我们谈 |
[09:16] | Roy was a great friend, a great man. | Roy 是一个很好的朋友, 一个很不错的人 |
[09:19] | If his medical condition prevents him from performing his duties as– | 如果他现在的身体条件不允许他 履行自己的职责– |
[09:22] | He’s the best judge of his capacities. | 他是最清楚自己状况的人 |
[09:27] | Sorry. I took this sinus stuff. I think I just lost the hearing in my left– | 不好意思. 我得了鼻炎. 我的左耳好像听不到– |
[09:32] | -Oh, for God– Bless you. -It’s all right. I’m not getting it. | -噢, 长命百岁 -我感冒了 |
[09:35] | -I’m getting over it. -I’m over it. | -我已经得了 -我现在免疫了 |
[09:37] | -Sorry to be late, sir. -So where are we? | -不好意思我来迟了, 先生 -进展如何? |
[09:40] | Very close. Fifty billion. | 很接近了. 500亿 |
[09:42] | But the speaker will only give us the college-tuition tax deduction… | 议长同意了大学学费抵税 但我们要同意… |
[09:46] | …if we reduce capital-gains taxes by 50 percent… | …降低50%资本收益税… |
[09:49] | …and accept a 10-percent corporate rate cut in our stimulus plan. | …并且在经济刺激计划里降低10%的 共有比例 |
[09:52] | Mr. President, I know this is painful, but if we offer to drop deductible tuition… | 总统先生, 我知道这很痛苦, 但如果我们同意降低学费抵税的比例 |
[09:57] | …we can get them to leave our stimulus– | …我们就能够让他们不干预刺激计划– |
[09:59] | -Excuse me? What are we talking about? -The proposed deduction. | -请原谅? 我们在讨论什么? -减除的额度 |
[10:03] | When was tuition put on the table? | 什么时候又开始谈学费的事了? |
[10:06] | It was one of our centerpieces of our re-elect. | 这可是我们连任的核心政策! |
[10:09] | Josh, you’re just gonna sit there? | Josh, 你打算就这样坐着? |
[10:14] | You gotta trust the person in the room. | 你得相信这个办公室的主人 |
[10:17] | -Can we do this, Angela? -Yes, sir. | -我们可以这样做吗, Angela? -是的先生. |
[10:19] | Without the deficit topping 200 billion? | 确保赤字不会超过2000亿? |
[10:24] | Then everything else is on the table. Thanks, everyone, that’s it. | 那就什么事都可以拿出来谈 谢谢你们, 就这样吧 |
[10:36] | Two-hundred-billion-dollar deficit, and Haffley wants tax cuts. | 赤字已经达到2000亿了 Haffley还想减税 |
[10:39] | Take away a few zeros, and he’d pass for a mob accountant. | 还是要这几个零! 简直就是强盗会计! |
[10:42] | Mr. President, I don’t think Zoey should do the interview. | 很抱歉总统先生 我觉得Zoey不应该上那个节目 |
[10:46] | The Diane Mathers thing? | Diane Mathers 那个秀? |
[10:47] | Charlie got a call from Mathers’ producers. | Charlie 接到 Mathers 的制片人 打来的电话 |
[10:49] | They’ve got his statement about Zoey considering taking ecstasy. | 他们知道了他给特勤局的口供 关于Zoey打算嗑药的 |
[10:53] | And they might have Jean Paul telling his story. | 而且他们可能找 Jean Paul 聊件事 |
[10:55] | -Abbey thinks Zoey can handle it. -Diane Mathers is very good at her job. | -Abbey认为Zoey能够处理 -Diane Mathers 可是个狠角色 |
[11:00] | Sir, if you won’t let me cancel it, at least let me go up there… | 先生, 如果您不让我取消这个秀 至少让我去那里 |
[11:04] | …and make sure she’s prepared. Run some interference. | …帮她准备一下 交涉一些事务 |
[11:09] | -Take the earliest flight up tomorrow. -Thank you, Mr. President. | -搭明早第一班飞机 -谢谢你, 总统先生 |
[11:21] | If you’d like, you could travel with C.J. We could check with Advance. | 如果你想的话你可以和C.J.一起去 我们可以准备一下 |
[11:26] | And Abbey. Who’s gonna check with her? | 那Abbey呢 谁去和她准备一下? |
[11:30] | On the chief justice… . | 关于首席大法官的事… |
[11:32] | -The chief. Do you think we should try–? -Yeah. | -大法官. 你觉得我们是不是应该–? -是的 |
[11:36] | -It’s time. -Thank you, sir. | -是时候了 -谢谢你, 先生 |
[11:38] | Leo? Leo? | |
[11:41] | Do it delicately. | 做得得体些 |
[11:49] | Josh, you got a second? | Josh, 有空吗? |
[11:52] | I need to get out a counteroffer by this afternoon. | 今天下午之前我必须就我们的立场表个态 |
[11:55] | The guys at OMB say you have budget docs… | 预算办公室那边说你手上有预算 |
[11:57] | -…breakdowns, revenue forecasts? -We started months ago. | -…税收预期等方面的文档 -我们几个月前就开始着手这些了 |
[12:00] | Be good if I could get it and borrow a body to help me slog through it. | 能不能把这些资料给我 顺便再借一个人手帮我处理这些东西 |
[12:04] | I’ve got the governors coming in on emissions standards, the Japan trip– | 我还要和州长们讨论辐射标准, 再加上去日本的旅程– |
[12:08] | OMB said that somebody named Donna knows the docs inside out. | 预算办公室的人说有个叫Donna的人 很了解这些文档 |
[12:12] | I’d owe you a swordfish steak at Kinkead’s. | 事成之后我欠你一顿Kinkead饭店的鱼排 |
[12:15] | -Donna Moss, okay. Sure. -You’re a prince. | -Donna Moss, 好的. 没问题 -你人真好 |
[12:21] | You’re looking for me? | 你在找我? |
[12:23] | Labor-H folks are waiting in the Roosevelt Room. | 劳工部的人在罗斯福室等着 |
[12:28] | Deductible tuition? What’s next? | 减低学费抵税? 接下来又是什么? |
[12:30] | We’ll save a few bucks if we shuttered the East Wing… | 如果我们把白宫东翼关闭… |
[12:33] | …turned the South Lawn into a garage sale. | …再把南草坪卖掉 这样还可以省出一些钱来 |
[12:35] | We’re looking at our third CR. | 我们要考虑我们的第三个CR (CR:预算通过之前国会批给 维持政府日常运作的资金) |
[12:37] | Two months from now, no one will give a damn… | 从现在开始的两个月内 都不会有人在乎延伸法案 |
[12:40] | -…about continuing resolutions. -You wanted more responsibility. | -你不是想找更多事干吗 |
[12:44] | -What about it? -The chief justice. | -干什么? -首席大法官 |
[12:46] | The president knows it’s time. | 总统觉得是时候了 |
[12:53] | It’s not so simple. | 这可没那么简单 |
[12:55] | That’s why I’m giving it to you. | 所以我才交给你去办 |
[12:57] | -We can’t force him to resign. -Yeah. No, we can’t. | -我们不能强迫他辞职 -我们的确不能 |
[13:17] | Hey, Joe. | 嗨, Joe |
[13:19] | -Hey, Toby. How you been? -Good. You? | -嗨, Toby. 近来可好? -很好. 你呢? |
[13:22] | -Fine. -You used to clerk for the chief justice. | -很好 -你曾经在大法官手下做事? |
[13:26] | -That’s interesting. -Is it? | -那很有意思 -是吗? |
[13:29] | -I don’t know. If you find it interesting. -I’ve never heard you mention it. | -我不知道 也许你觉得很有趣 -我从来没听你提起过 |
[13:32] | The guys with two-bit appellate clerkships staple it to their foreheads. | 这里的人都巴不得在额头上写着 他曾经是大法官的职员 |
[13:37] | -I can’t do it, Toby. -You haven’t heard what I’m gonna say. | -我不能这么做 Toby 很抱歉 -我还什么都没说呢 |
[13:40] | -You want me to get him to resign. -I didn’t say that. | -你想让我去叫他辞职 -我可没那么说 |
[13:43] | You’ve got a limited amount of time to pick the next guy… | 在执行你们的中期政策之前 |
[13:46] | …and confirm him before the midterms politicize everything. | 你们没多少时间来选出下一任 并在国会通过 |
[13:49] | But I work for you. It’s a question of propriety. | 但是我为你工作 这是合不合适的问题 |
[13:52] | -I see. -Do you? | -我明白 -是吗? |
[13:54] | The White House can’t pressure a Supreme Court justice… | 白宫连叫最高法院法官 换个早餐的权利都没有 |
[13:57] | …to change his breakfast order, let alone resign. Separation of powers. | 更别说叫他辞职了 司法和行政分离 |
[14:00] | I see. | 我明白 |
[14:03] | You say that, but in a way that makes me wonder if you really do. | 你说说而已 但我很怀疑你是否真的明白 |
[14:06] | The president sets the direction of the court. | 总统有权任命最高法院法官 |
[14:09] | -He sets it when there’s a vacancy. -Don’t ask him to resign… | -只有出现空缺的时候他才有权那样做 -你不必叫他辞职… |
[14:13] | …only to sit down with the president. | …只要和总统坐在一起聊聊就行了 |
[14:15] | You’re talking about a guy that stood up to six administrations, 22 Congresses… | 我们讨论的那个人曾勇敢地抗争过 6届政府22届国会 |
[14:19] | …and had half the country ready to lynch him. | 为了正义而得罪了半个国家 |
[14:22] | You think a former clerk can pry him loose? | 你认为一个旧职员能够对他 产生多大的影响? |
[14:24] | I’ve got a meeting at the OEOB. | 我还有个会议在旧行政办公大楼 |
[14:28] | What am I, chattel? | 我是个什么,奴隶吗? |
[14:31] | There’s a request for everything on the budget from Angela Blake’s office. | Angela Blake办公室竟然跟我要跟预算 有关的所有材料 |
[14:34] | Yeah, I authorized it. | 是的, 我同意的 |
[14:37] | -You did? -Yeah. | -你同意的? -是 |
[14:40] | They’ve also asked me to go with the files. | 他们还要我连人带材料一起去 |
[14:42] | A living index, if you will, for Angela Blake. | 一个活目录 你就这样把我送给Angela Blake. |
[14:44] | We can call her Angela now. | 我们可以不用叫她全名了 |
[14:47] | -You authorize that too? -Sure. | -这个也是你同意的吗? -当然 |
[14:51] | -Hamurashi ever get the specifics to us? -On the trade bill? Right here. | -Hamurashi有没有把详细的文件给我们? -贸易法案的? 在这里 |
[15:00] | The NEC chair can brief in my place on budget negotiations. | 让国经会主席来我这里简报 预算谈判的进展 |
[15:04] | I need HHS Public Affairs, DPC, Toby and Will to walk him through… | 帮我接卫生和公共事业部和国政委 Toby和Will会用论据敷衍他一下… |
[15:09] | …the talking points, any key developments on the Hill. | …跟进国会山那边的近况 |
[15:12] | I have to phone AP and the Post. Hey, Charlie. | 帮我接美联社和华盛顿邮报的电话 嗨, Charlie |
[15:15] | I’m playing catch-up for leaking that exclusive… | 我在追查国防部报告的内容泄漏… |
[15:17] | …on DOD Approps to The Times. | …给 时代周刊的事 |
[15:21] | -Carol? -She’s not out here. | -Carol? -她不在这里 |
[15:23] | I was just talking to her. | 那我刚才是跟谁讲话? |
[15:27] | I didn’t know if I’d see you before you left. | 我不知道你走之前我还能不能再见到你 |
[15:29] | -Give this to Zoey. -I love Macy Gray. | -帮我交给Zoey -我也喜欢Macy Gray的CD |
[15:31] | Zoey’s been in a solo, whispery, female acoustic rut right now. | Zoey现在是女声惯常的轻声独唱的状态 |
[15:34] | I want to get her into something with drums. | 我想给她带点有鼓的东西 |
[15:37] | -How about some John Philip Sousa? -Drums, but not so much the batons. | -那John Philip Sousa怎么样? -有鼓的但不一定有鼓槌 |
[15:41] | My mom used to watch Diane Mathers all the time. | 我妈妈以前经常看Diane Mathers的节目 |
[15:44] | When she had that talk show. She seemed nice, sympathetic, sincere. | 在她主持脱口秀的时候 她看起来温和,真诚,又有同情心 |
[15:47] | This is a woman who gets dictators to cry, talk about their love of puppies… | 这个女人甚至能让暴君哭着讲述 他们喜欢的小狗,妈妈做的菜… |
[15:51] | …confess they had concentration camps built… | …哭着坦白他们修建集中营… |
[15:54] | …because they couldn’t get dates. | …只是因为他们约不到女孩子 |
[15:55] | -Zoey’s gonna be fine, you know. -So everyone keeps saying. | -Zoey会没事的, 对吧 -大家都这么说 |
[15:59] | The president hasn’t changed his mind about coming? | 总统先生还是不打算去? |
[16:02] | -No. -I thought he would in the end. | -是的 -我以为他会在最后一刻决定去 |
[16:05] | -They came up with it in a bar? -It was that or the hops deduction. | -他们是在酒吧里想出这个方案的? -是的学费抵税那部分 |
[16:08] | There was this guy named Matt Kelley, and he was making $55,000 a year. | 他们在酒吧碰到一个叫Matt Kelley 年收入55,000美元 |
[16:12] | -His daughter got into Notre Dame. -So? | -他的女儿想上Notre Dame学院 -然后呢? |
[16:15] | So the Move-lt-to-Bermuda Corporation gets a deduction when they buy off… | 那些大公司可以花上亿美元来收买…. |
[16:19] | …their C.E.O. for $ 100 million. | …首席执行官的时候还有减税 |
[16:21] | Why not pass a break for guys like Matt? | 为什么不能给Matt这样的百姓 喘息之机呢? |
[16:24] | -You don’t think so? -lf his daughter needed braces… | -你不认同? -如果她的女儿是暴牙… |
[16:27] | …would Josh and Toby have come up with a plan for universal orthodontia? | …Josh和Toby是不是会提出一个 全国的牙齿纠正计划? |
[16:33] | -Not a chance, huh? -We can still get tax-deductible tuition. | -没机会了, 是吗? -我们还是可以争取到学费抵税计划的 |
[16:37] | We can get a lot of things. Gotta get them to give it, that’s all. | 我们可以争取到很多东西 我们会让他们拱手送出的, 就这样 |
[16:41] | How do you think we’re doing? | 你觉得我们应该怎么做? |
[16:44] | -Me? I’m not– -You’re an American. | -我? 我不是– -你是美国公民 |
[16:46] | You pay taxes, consume government services. | 你向政府缴税, 享受政府的服务 |
[16:52] | I think… | 我觉得… |
[16:55] | …our side’s done a bad job explaining why what we’re fighting for is important. | …我们浪费了太多精力来解释 为什么我们争取的东西如此重要 |
[17:00] | It’s not about abstract programs and endless acronyms… | 我们的工作不应该是抽象的计划 和无穷尽的索引… |
[17:03] | …but real things that affect real people… | …而是去做造福于民的实事… |
[17:05] | …like affording college. | …比如让大家都上得起大学 |
[17:08] | You talk to Josh about that? | 你跟Josh谈过这些? |
[17:16] | -We both going to the ONDCP briefing? -No, we’re going in here. | -一起去听毒品政策办公室的简报? -不, 我们来这里 |
[17:21] | Gee, Toby, people are gonna talk. | 呵, Toby, 要找我谈话 |
[17:28] | I’m… | 我很… |
[17:30] | …curious. | …好奇 |
[17:33] | It wouldn’t be for the obvious reason, would it? | 这不是因为那个显而易见的原因, 是吗? |
[17:35] | -What’s the obvious reason? -You’re a conservative. | -什么显而易见的原因? -你是保守派 |
[17:38] | Maybe you’d love to see him stay on the bench, a liberal icon… | 也许你就爱看着他占着那个位置 一个自由的象征… |
[17:42] | …reduced to a quivering mass of octogenarian confusion… | …变成颤抖的80岁的老糊涂… |
[17:45] | …hanging on till he can be replaced by a paleo-Republican. | …直到他被一个无耻的共和党人取代 |
[17:49] | Constitution’s a living document. | 宪法是一部活的法律 |
[17:51] | You stick to it like it’s a boilerplate lease. | 你却牢牢抱住死的文字 |
[17:54] | You don’t know what you’re talking about. | 你不知道自己在讲什么! |
[17:56] | Every year he likes to hire a conservative clerk to argue with. | 每年他都会请一个保守派职员来和他争论 |
[17:59] | And arguing with him helped me clarify the things I believe in. | 和他争论的同时我更清楚了自己的信仰 |
[18:02] | One of those things is an independent court, above party or interest. | 其中之一就是一个独立的法庭 超越党派和利益之上 |
[18:07] | He has memory lapses, drifts during oral arguments. | 他记忆力衰退了 口头争辩的时候没有了重点 |
[18:11] | The associate justices are already postponing decisions… | 助理法官们已经开始搁置决议… |
[18:14] | …holding over important cases… | …拖延重要案子… |
[18:16] | …going behind his back to assign opinions. | …在重要决议上自把自为 |
[18:18] | -You don’t know that. -Yeah, I do. | -你并不知道那些 -不, 我知道! |
[18:21] | There’s no one else left, Joe. He’s outlived his wife. | 他已经无所挂念了, Joe 他活的比他妻子长命 |
[18:24] | His son shot down over Hanoi. | 他儿子在河内牺牲了 |
[18:27] | -It’s just his clerks. Clerks like you. -You can’t do anything. | -只剩下职员陪他 象你一样的职员 -你对此无能为力! |
[18:30] | Let’s go over there together. Right now, you and me. | 我们现在就去他那里 现在, 你和我 |
[18:35] | -To the hospital? -He’ll see you. | -去医院? -他会见你的 |
[18:38] | You tell me he’s okay, and I’ll call off the vultures. | 你告诉我他没事 我就停止取代的计划 |
[19:02] | Hey, Lisa. You catch the night shift? | 嗨, Lisa. 你守夜班吗? |
[19:06] | Six to midnight. | 6点到午夜 |
[19:08] | Steve’s coming in to handle the overnights. | Steve会过来守通宵 |
[19:13] | This is Toby Ziegler. Toby, this is Lisa Zimmer… | 这是Toby Ziegler Toby, 这是Lisa Zimmer… |
[19:16] | …one of the justice’s clerks. | …大法官的职员之一 |
[19:19] | Sure, I’ve seen you on Crossfire. | 当然, 我在 困境 看过你 |
[19:22] | I hope you won’t be offended, but we’re keeping it to family only. | 我希望不会冒犯你, 但是我们只让亲近的人探视 |
[19:26] | You know, friends, colleagues. | 比如朋友, 同僚 |
[19:28] | I just came along to keep Joe company. I saw a coffee cart down in the lobby. | 我只是陪Joe过来而已 我看见楼下大厅有架咖啡车 |
[19:32] | -You want anything? -I’m good. | -你要点什么吗? -不用了 |
[19:34] | Lisa? Lisa? | |
[19:36] | I’ll be downstairs when you’re done. | 我在楼下等你 |
[19:44] | So… . | 那么… |
[19:47] | I don’t know what they’ve told you, but he always bounces back. | 我不知道他们怎么跟你说的, 但是他能挺过来的 |
[19:53] | Joe Joe. | |
[19:58] | He always does. | 他总能做到 |
[20:14] | Sir? | 先生? |
[20:19] | Mr. Chief Justice? | 首席大法官阁下? |
[20:57] | -Joe? -I gave him the president’s regards. | -Joe? -我向他转达了总统的问候 |
[21:00] | And what did he say? How is he? Was he coherent? | 那他说了什么? 他怎么样? 他说话连贯吗? |
[21:04] | You know why I didn’t want it to spread that I used to clerk for him? | 你知道我为什么不提我在他手下工作过吗? |
[21:08] | Because I knew someday somebody like you… | 因为我知道会有这样一天 你们这些人… |
[21:10] | …would come ask me to do something like this. | …会叫我来做这样的事情! |
[21:13] | -So he’s all right? -You guys. | -那他还好吗? -你们这些人… |
[21:16] | You think it’s all a game. | 你们把这当成一个游戏 |
[21:17] | You treat the court like it’s Tammany Hall gone national. | 你们把法庭当成国家级的坦慕尼大厅 (美国历史上的地方性政治斗争) |
[21:20] | Your side does it better? Pushing neoconservatives… | 你们又能强到哪里去? 推动新保守派… |
[21:23] | …hoping they don’t grow a conscience or an understanding of jurisprudence? | …巴不得他们没长良心也不懂法学? |
[21:27] | Maybe we could all do it better. | 也许我们两边都可以做得更好 |
[21:30] | But there is such a thing called judicial independence. A lifetime appointment. | 但是有样东西叫做司法独立! 这是一个终身任命 |
[21:36] | He’s still alive, so he gets to decide when it’s time. | 他还活着, 只有他自己才能决定 什么时候退出!! |
[21:40] | What did he say? | 他到底说了什么? |
[21:43] | Or can he even speak? | 还是他根本说不出话来? |
[21:46] | He’s fine, Toby. | 他很好, Toby |
[21:49] | He was up… | 他坐起来… |
[21:51] | …joking. | …和我开玩笑 |
[21:53] | He’ll be back in chambers in a couple of days. | 几天之后他就可以重新回去工作了 |
[22:46] | Hey, how you feeling? | 嗨, 你感觉怎么样? |
[22:49] | Good. | 很好~啊 |
[22:51] | The president’s Osaka remarks on opening Japan’s microchip market… | 总统在大阪准备要呼吁日本开放 微型芯片市场… |
[22:55] | …and complaining about autos and flat glass. | …并且抱怨一下他们的汽车和平板玻璃 |
[22:57] | Flat glass. Excellent. | 平板玻璃. 太棒了~啊 |
[23:00] | It’s a new thing I’m doing. A positive-attitude thing. | 我现在做的可是一种全新的工作 态度很正面的工作 |
[23:03] | Just seeing if you need anything. Donna’s helping Angela. | 你需不需要帮忙? Donna在帮Angela的忙 |
[23:06] | -Still? -The negotiations went late, after 2. | -还在? -谈判进行到很晚, 2点以后 |
[23:09] | They’re due to resume in about 20 minutes. | 他们应该在20分钟后重新开始 |
[23:11] | Donna’s in the budget negotiations? | Donna在参加预算谈判? |
[23:14] | -I guess. -Outstanding. | -好像是 -了不起~啊 |
[23:35] | How’s it going? | 进行得如何? |
[23:38] | I think I’m coming down with something. | 我想我生什么病了 |
[23:40] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[23:41] | You say that, but in a way that makes me wonder if you really are. | 你说说而已 我很怀疑你是否真的抱歉 |
[23:51] | I can still feel it, you know? | 我至今还能记得… |
[23:56] | The first time I ever got called into his office… | 我第一次被叫到他办公室… |
[23:59] | …and yelled at about something he’d read in my law review note. | …他朝我的法律复习笔记发脾气 |
[24:04] | He’d read my law review note. | 他连我的法律复习笔记都读 |
[24:09] | And all I could think was, “This is the guy. “ | 我所能想到的仅仅是 “他就是那个人” |
[24:13] | He’s why a cop has to read a criminal his rights. | 就因为他警察必须对罪犯宣读其权利 |
[24:17] | He’s why a couple of mixed race can get married in the state of Texas. | 就因为他德州不同种族的情侣才能通婚 |
[24:22] | I spent three nights as a One-L… | 我花了三个晚上… |
[24:26] | …trying to pick apart his Baines v. U.S. Steel. | …想试着撕碎他写的 Baines 诉 美国钢铁案总结 |
[24:32] | I couldn’t do it. | 但我做不到 |
[24:36] | I was in a room with Ashland once. | 我曾经有一次和Ashland呆在一个房子里 |
[24:39] | I was a student at City College. | 我那时是纽城大学的学生 |
[24:45] | The Student Organizing Committee got him to give a speech… | 学生会邀请他来给我们演讲… |
[24:48] | …on the history of voting rights. | …讲投票权的历史 |
[24:52] | We were hanging from the rafters. | 我们听得很入迷 |
[24:55] | I talked to him afterward. I mean, he wouldn’t remember me. | 我后来又和他谈了一阵 他可能对我完全没有印象了 |
[24:59] | But I spent the next six weeks organizing a voter registration drive… | 但接下来我却花了六周的时间来组织 |
[25:04] | …for Bed-Stuy and Bensonhurst. | …Bed-Stuy和Bensonhurst两个地区的 选民登记运动 |
[25:08] | You know when you go out West, how they say: | 当你去西部的时候 人们说: |
[25:12] | “Don’t miss the Grand Canyon. It’s one of the few things in life… | “不要错过大峡谷 那是你一生中少有的… |
[25:16] | …when you actually see it, it doesn’t disappoint”? | …让你看了不会失望的经历” |
[25:20] | That’s Roy Ashland. | Roy Ashland就是这样的经历 |
[25:28] | He was unconscious last night. | 昨晚他实际上不省人事 |
[25:32] | Never came out of it. Never said a word. | 没有醒过来 也没说一个字 |
[25:43] | I don’t wanna see him gone, Joe. | 我也不想看他这样, Joe |
[25:46] | I want nine Ashlands on the court. | 我希望能有9个Ashlands在法庭上 |
[25:51] | I just… . | 我只是… |
[25:54] | I just wish he was 40 years younger. | 我只是希望他再年轻40岁 |
[26:01] | Diane likes to keep things warm, casual. | Diane喜欢让气氛保持温和随意 |
[26:04] | She’ll try and zing you with some indirect attribution like, “People say” … | 她会宛转间接的向你发难 比如 “听人说…” |
[26:08] | -…or, “There’s a rumor that… . ” -For example? | -或者 “有谣言说…” -举个例子? |
[26:11] | There’s a rumor that you’re seeing a therapist. | 有谣言说你在接受心理辅导? |
[26:14] | -You don’t have to answer. -lf you don’t answer… | -你不用回答这种问题 -如果你不回答… |
[26:17] | …she’ll wait like a forgiving, compassionate cross… | …她就会等着 就好像一个宽大而富有同情心的… |
[26:20] | …between the Virgin Mary and a schnauzer. | …介于圣母玛利亚德国狼狗之间的人 |
[26:22] | -It’s nobody’s business– -Mom, I wanna answer. | -这不关别人的事– -妈妈, 我愿意回答 |
[26:26] | -Yes, I’m seeing a therapist. -Okay. | -是的, 我在接受辅导 -好的 |
[26:29] | I couldn’t have dealt with this completely on my own. | 我不能够靠我自己的力量去克服这些经历 |
[26:31] | I’ve had lots of support from friends and family, but I also needed help. | 我得到了来自朋友和家人的大量的支持 但我还是需要医生的帮助 |
[26:39] | I’ve gotten some, and it’s… | 我接受了辅导, 而且… |
[26:42] | -…you know, been good. -The help’s helped. | -…你知道, 有所好转 -辅导很有效 |
[26:46] | Great. I’ll use that. Thanks. | 很好. 我会那样说的. 谢谢 |
[26:49] | Zoey, we need to take a moment and talk about that night at the club… | Zoey, 我们得谈谈那天晚上在酒吧… |
[26:53] | …with Jean Paul. Had you agreed to take drugs? | …和Jean Paul在一起的事 你是否同意了嗑药? |
[27:06] | Excuse me. | 请原谅 |
[27:10] | What’s going on? | 进展如何? |
[27:14] | We had a bit of a breakdown, if breakdown is the word. | 我们有点崩溃, 如果用”崩溃”可以形容的话 |
[27:18] | -Works for me. -What happened? | -形容我挺合适 -怎么了? |
[27:20] | They don’t wanna deal. The capital gains cut– | 他们不肯协商 削减资本收益税– |
[27:23] | They came back and said it was not negotiable. | 他们现在又说这是不容商讨的 |
[27:26] | -They even wanna make it bigger. -So, what now? | -他们甚至还想减得更多 -那么, 现在是什么情况? |
[27:29] | Another continuing resolution, till Christmas this time. | 又一次使用延伸法案提供政府日常运作 这次要持续到圣诞节 |
[27:32] | You let it drag on that long, they’ll try to defund the yule log. | 你竟然让他们拖那么久? 他们会砍掉我们的买圣诞蛋糕的开支 |
[27:35] | It gets better. They won’t continue funding. | 已有所好转了 他们不愿再发长期债券 |
[27:38] | They want a cut on everything but Defense and Homeland Security. | 他们想削减除了国防开支以外的一切预算 |
[27:41] | How could this happen? No, Leo, how is this acceptable? | 怎么会这样? 不, Leo, 这怎么能接受? |
[27:45] | You take this to the president, you know what he’ll say? | 你让总统接受这个, 你知道他会怎么说吗? |
[27:47] | He’ll say yes. To keep the lights on. | 他会同意的. 为了确保政府继续运作 |
[27:50] | To make sure government employees keep getting paid. It’s two months. | 为了确保公务员能领到薪水 再撑多两个月而已 |
[27:54] | This isn’t governing. It’s duck-and-cover. | 这不是在治理国家 这是在逃避责任 |
[27:56] | He’ll say that too. | 他也会那样说的 |
[28:09] | -At least be… . -What? | -至少应该… . -什么? |
[28:11] | -I don’t know, embarrassed. -It wasn’t her. | -不知道, 觉得惭愧 -不是她的错 |
[28:16] | What? | 什么? |
[28:18] | You know the hand she was dealt. | 你知道她是把好手 |
[28:22] | You saying it was me? | 你是说是我引起的? |
[28:25] | No, I’m saying we won in a landslide but we didn’t take Congress with us. | 我说的是我们虽然以绝对优势赢了 但是我们没有国会的支持 |
[28:30] | Now we’re not taking the country with us, and the other guys know it. | 现在我们没有了国家的支持 而且他们也知道这一点 |
[28:38] | I’ve gotta get back to work. | 我得回去工作了 |
[28:47] | It’s nice when you make new friends. | 很高兴你交上了新朋友 |
[28:49] | All this time she’s been fighting for you. | 你知道一直以来她都在为你而战 |
[28:51] | For your plan to send everyone to college. | 为了你那个让大家都上大学的计划 |
[28:54] | It’s not a bad plan. | 那是个好的计划 |
[28:55] | They didn’t think so either. They wanted to go with it. | 他们也这么认为 他们也希望能够实现 |
[28:58] | Run ads, they voted for it. But we’d have had to squeeze Medicaid, the EITC. | 做点宣传,大家都赞成 但我们就不得不 挤出公共医疗补助和劳动收入税减税额 |
[29:02] | Poor people paying for college and Wall Street. | 让穷人为大学学费和华尔街买单 |
[29:05] | I don’t think Jed Bartlet would sign off on that. | 我不认为Jed Bartlet会签署这样的法案! |
[29:10] | I got you till Christmas. | 直到圣诞节我都吃定你了 |
[29:27] | Sir? | 先生? |
[29:34] | Mr. Quincy. | Quincy先生 |
[29:40] | Back to argue Mimoud v. Transportation Security? | 回想以前关于 Mimoud 诉 交通部的争论? |
[29:47] | Suspect class, strict scrutiny. | 疑点课上的严格检查 |
[29:49] | No, no, no. You work for the president now. | 不不不 你现在为总统工作了 |
[29:54] | -It’d be ex parte. -I’m glad to see you’re doing better, sir. | -这会 很片面 的 -我很高兴您有所好转了先生 |
[30:00] | This just a social visit? | 这只是一次社交访问吗? |
[30:04] | No, sir, it’s not. | 不, 先生, 不是的 |
[30:07] | The president sent you? | 总统派你来的? |
[30:11] | Yes, sir, he did. | 是的, 先生, 他派我来的 |
[30:14] | I think it’s time we called each other by our first names… | 我觉得是时候不再客套了… |
[30:20] | …Joe… …Joe… | |
[30:23] | -…don’t you? -Yes, sir… | -…你是不是? -是的, 先生… |
[30:27] | …Mr. Chief Justice. | …首席大法官阁下 |
[30:55] | Now what? | 现在如何? |
[30:57] | Another continuing resolution to take us through the holidays. | 又一次执行延伸法案 一直到圣诞节 |
[31:01] | So now we won’t have a budget until we’re up against the State of the Union? | 就是说在国情咨文发表前都拿不下预算? |
[31:09] | -Anything on Ashland? -He’s coming over to see the president. | -Ashland的事进展如何? -他将过来见总统 |
[31:13] | -When? -Now. | -何时? -现在 |
[31:16] | -You’re kidding. -I just got off the phone with Joe. | -你开玩笑么? -我刚刚和Joe通完电话 |
[31:19] | President’s ready. | 总统可以见你了 |
[31:23] | Well, that’s great. | 呵, 那真不错 |
[31:28] | Leo? Leo? | |
[31:30] | We gave away college tuition for nothing. | 我们丢掉了大学学费却什么都没换回来 |
[31:34] | Good work on the chief justice. | 首席大法官的事干得不错 |
[31:41] | I don’t think anyone should try and go through something like this alone. | 我认为任何人都不应该独自去面对 这样的事情 |
[31:47] | And has it helped? | 那有效果吗? |
[31:49] | Yes. | 是的 |
[31:51] | The help’s helped. | 心理辅导很有效 |
[31:53] | A lot. | 很有益 |
[31:55] | -I think we can all see that. -Good. I’m glad. | -我想我们都能看得出来 -很好. 我很高兴 |
[32:00] | Zoey… Zoey… | |
[32:02] | …I know this will be difficult… | …我知道这很困难… |
[32:05] | …but what happened that night at the club with Jean Paul and the ecstasy? | …但那天晚上你和Jean Paul在酒吧 嗑药是怎么一回事? |
[32:09] | -Now, he says that you– -I know what he says. | -现在, 他说是你– -我知道他怎么说 |
[32:12] | -You sound angry. -I am angry. | -你听起来很生气 -我的确很生气 |
[32:14] | The only thing I can do, the only thing any of us can do… | 我唯一能做的是 我们当中任何一个人唯一能做的是… |
[32:18] | …is tell the truth about what happened to us and try to find a way to live… | …对所发生过的事讲实话 并想办法让生活继续… |
[32:22] | …with the shame and self-doubt that comes from having trusted someone… | …尽管你会很自责和伤心 你曾经信任的人… |
[32:29] | …who then betrayed you. | …背叛了你 |
[32:31] | Is there anything you’d like to say to Jean Paul? | 你有什么想对Jean Paul说的吗? |
[32:35] | Oh, no. | 噢, 没有 |
[32:41] | -How much longer? -She’ll be wrapping up. | -还有多久? -她很快就会没事的 |
[32:43] | -That was her big gun. -Thank you. She did well. | -她很会保护自己 -谢谢你. 她还好 |
[32:45] | -You did an excellent job. -You too. | -你做得很不错 -你也是 |
[32:48] | It’s what she needed, time up here. | 这次节目正是她需要的 |
[32:50] | I meant you’ve raised a remarkable young woman. | 我是说您抚养了一个很优秀的女儿 |
[32:54] | She was always Jed’s little girl. | 她始终都只是Jed的小宝贝 |
[32:57] | Mrs. Bartlet… | Bartlet夫人… |
[32:59] | …may I say we miss you. | …请允许我说我们都很想念您 |
[33:02] | That’s very kind. | 你人真好 |
[33:05] | Please don’t be offended if I say I don’t miss you. | 如果我说我并不想你们的话 请不要觉得被冒犯 |
[33:11] | It’s been very busy. The budget, Japan in a few weeks… | 现在白宫真的很忙 预算的事, 几周后又要去日本… |
[33:14] | …and the chief justice and… . | …还有首席大法官的事和… |
[33:16] | We get newspapers up here, C.J. | 我们每天都读报, C.J. |
[33:18] | You don’t have to apologize for him not coming. | 你不必为他没来道歉 |
[33:21] | I asked him not to. | 我叫他别来的 |
[34:16] | He’s getting off the phone with his daughter. | 他刚刚和他女儿通完电话 |
[34:18] | I’ll let him know you’re here, sir. | 我去告诉他您来了, 阁下 |
[34:26] | Please. | 请进 |
[34:29] | No, no. | 不, 不用 |
[34:32] | I can walk. | 我能走 |
[34:44] | Mr. Chief Justice. | 法官阁下 |
[35:04] | -Thank you. -I didn’t do it for you. | -谢谢你 -我不是为你而做的 |
[35:15] | Chief. | 大法官 |
[35:18] | My God, Jed. You look terrible. | 天哪, Jed. 你看起来很糟 |
[35:22] | Yes, well, there’s something going around. | 是的, 恩, 发生了一些事情 |
[35:40] | I’m glad to see you doing so well, sir. | 我很高兴你身体恢复了, 先生 |
[35:43] | -Are you? -Yes, I am. | -是吗? -是的, 衷心的 |
[35:48] | Can you do it? | 你真会…? |
[35:50] | I don’t want to. | 我并不想 |
[35:52] | But if it’s time, if your condition warrants… . | 但如果是时候了 如果您的身体允许… |
[35:56] | Who would you get to replace me? | 你打算找谁接替我? |
[35:59] | I’d hope to consult with you. | 我愿意征求您的意见 |
[36:04] | -Holmes -Holmes? -Holmes. -Holmes? | |
[36:07] | Oliver Wendell. Marshall. John or Thurgood, either one. | Oliver Wendell. Marshall. John 或者 Thurgood, 随便哪一个 |
[36:12] | I want Brandeis, Blackmun, Douglas. | 我希望是 Brandeis, Blackmun, Douglas |
[36:20] | But you can’t get them, can you? Because it’s all compromises now. | 但是你不会找他们, 对吗? 因为现在什么都只能妥协 |
[36:26] | The ones who have no record of scholarship. | 那些从来没有得过奖学金的… |
[36:33] | No body of opinions, nothing you can hold them to. | 没有主见没有可以坚持的信念 |
[36:37] | That’s who they’ll confirm. Raging mediocrities. | 那才是会被通过的人选愤怒的中庸之才 |
[36:42] | The other eight are preparing to take it away from you, Roy. | 另外的8个人正在准备夺走你的位子, Roy |
[36:47] | Holding over cases, the major decisions. | 搁置案子自把自为 |
[36:50] | How long can the country wait? | 这个国家还能等多久? |
[36:54] | My clerks are preparing a brief. | 我的职员正在准备一个简报 |
[36:59] | There’s an Arab-American man, Mimoud. | 有一个阿拉伯裔美国人 Mimoud |
[37:04] | Grabbed out of a line at the airport. | 在机场被绳子绑起来 |
[37:08] | What’s next? Tribunals? Identity cards? | 接下来呢? 法官终审权? 身份证制度? |
[37:12] | -Bar codes tattooed on our forearms? -Then give me a name. | -还是在我们前臂上文上条形码? -那就给我一个名字 |
[37:17] | Daniel Robinov, New York State Supreme Court. | Daniel Robinov 纽约州最高法院 |
[37:21] | Susan Bengalli, 9th Circuit… . | Susan Bengalli, 第九法庭巡回区… |
[37:27] | But they won’t confirm them, will they? | 但是他们都不会被通过, 对吗? |
[37:32] | I have good days and bad. | 我这辈子有好的 也有坏的日子 |
[37:37] | But on my worst day, I am better… | 但即便是最坏的一天也不会… |
[37:42] | …than the amped-up ambulance chasers you could get confirmed by the Senate. | …比你随便找个容易在议会通过的 下三滥律师来接替我更难过 |
[37:48] | You can’t do it, Jed. You’re not strong enough. | 你办不到, Jed 你还不够强大 |
[37:53] | The speaker’s running the table, and I can’t take a chance. | 现在是议长在话事 我不能冒这个险 |
[38:05] | They’re here. | 他们来了 |
[38:45] | -They all here? -Yeah. | -他们全部来了? -是的 |
[38:51] | Go. | 去吧 |
[38:54] | Go. | 加油! |
[39:03] | -Mr. Speaker, who’d have thought, huh? -Mr. Vice President. | -议长先生, 又见面了 -副总统先生 |
[39:06] | President’s finishing up a meeting. He’ll be right in. | 总统的会快结束了 他很快过来 |
[39:10] | -Any word on the chief justice? -That’s the meeting. | -有关于首席大法官的消息? -那正是总统的会议 |
[39:15] | -He’s in the White House? -Came straight from his adjustable bed. | -他在白宫? -直接从病床过来的 |
[39:18] | Man’s a force of nature. | 如同被大自然赐予力量 |
[39:26] | Hello. | 你好 |
[39:28] | -Bob. -Mr. President. | -Bob -总统先生 |
[39:34] | Mr. Speaker, senator. | 议长先生, 参议员先生 |
[39:36] | I want to thank you, Mr. President, on behalf of my colleagues. | 我想代表我们全部同僚谢谢你总统先生 |
[39:40] | None of us think this is a perfect deal. | 我们都不认为这是一个完美的结果 |
[39:43] | No one likes to see the sausage made, including the guys who make it… | 大家都不想看到香肠是怎样炼成的 包括制香肠的人… |
[39:47] | …but this is an expression of willingness by both sides… | …但这是我们两方的意愿的表达… |
[39:51] | …to keep all avenues open to an eventual resolution. | …权衡各方之后的一个可行的方案 |
[39:54] | Yes, thanks, Robert. And thanks for saying it this time. | 是的, 谢谢, Robert 谢谢你这么说 |
[39:57] | I think I had to make that little speech the last time around. | 我想上一次还是我这么讲的 |
[40:01] | Or maybe the time before. | 或者前几次都是 |
[40:03] | This is our third CR, our third time coming up short. We gotta do better. | 这是我们第三次执行延伸议案 我们第三次搁置预算我们得干好点了 |
[40:07] | People aren’t paying us to duck the hard choices. | 不然人民不会再雇我们了 |
[40:10] | -Run through the details, Angela? -An act of Congress. | -切入正题, Angela? -一项国会法案 |
[40:13] | A continuing resolution to extend no later than January 3rd, midnight… | 执行延伸议案不超过一月3号午夜… |
[40:18] | …to include a reduction by 1 percent– | …包括1%的缩减– |
[40:20] | Mr. President? I’m sorry, there’s been a change. | 总统先生很抱歉 事情有变 |
[40:22] | I know we talked about a 1 -percent cut. | 我知道我们谈的是削减1% |
[40:25] | It’s gonna have to be 3. | 但现在得是3%了 |
[40:27] | Mr. Speaker, nothing like this was even mentioned, much less– | 议长先生, 从来不会有这种事, 更不– |
[40:31] | -Hold on. -I’m sorry we couldn’t give more notice. | -等等 -我很抱歉没有及时通知 |
[40:34] | We just came from our conference and I had significant opposition… | 我们刚刚开完会议 只减1%… |
[40:37] | -…to only 1 percent. -Only 1 percent. | -…遭到了重大的反对 -只减1% |
[40:40] | Yes, sir. | 是的, 先生 |
[40:43] | We had a deal at 1 percent. | 我们谈好了是1% |
[40:45] | But my members have to go back to their districts… | 但是我们的议员必须在圣诞节 回他们的选区… |
[40:47] | …explain why we kept the gravy train running… | …去解释为什么在赤字增加 经济迫切需要减税的情况下… |
[40:50] | …with a rising deficit and an economy crying out for tax relief. | …我们还要负担巨额开支 |
[40:54] | It’s an economic situation that calls for action, not status quo spending. | 这是经济状况要求的措施 而非现期消费 |
[40:58] | Three percent may sound painful, but it’s only for two months. | 3%听起来也许很难接受 但只是两个月的事 |
[41:01] | It’ll show we’re serious. | 好让我们看起来是动真格的 |
[41:06] | -What’s next? -Sir? | -接下来又是什么? -先生? |
[41:10] | In two months? Five percent? Fifty? | 两个月内? 5%? 50%? |
[41:14] | How many rounds do we go, Jeff? | 我们要玩多少个回合, Jeff? |
[41:17] | I’m just asking. | 我只是问问 |
[41:20] | There is no next, sir. | 不会再有接下来, 先生 |
[41:23] | I mean, not to get too technical… | 我的意思是不用太技术化… |
[41:25] | …but this government runs out of money at midnight… | 但是这个政府到了午夜就没钱运转了… |
[41:28] | …and my guys have gone home. | …那时候我的议员们都早已回家了 |
[41:31] | This is it. | 所以就这样了 |
[41:41] | No. | 不行 |
[41:45] | There is no altering this offer, Mr. President. | 这个决议没有回旋的余地 总统先生 |
[41:55] | And I said, no. | 我说了, 不行 |
[42:06] | Let’s be clear, sir. | 让我们搞搞清楚, 先生 |
[42:09] | We cannot– | 我们不能– |
[42:11] | We will not vote to keep on footing the bill. | 我们不会投票支持继续负担这些费用 |
[42:16] | You will be held responsible for shutting down the federal government. | 你将会为关闭联邦政府负全责 |
[42:24] | Then shut it down. | 那就关闭吧 |