时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:08] | The following program was made possible by a grant… | 以下节目承蒙 |
[00:11] | … from the Kenneth C. and Mary E. Blackburn Foundation… | 布雷克班基金会 |
[00:14] | … the Samuel Jones Charitable Trust and individual viewer donations. | 山姆琼斯慈善信托 和观众的慷慨赞助 |
[00:20] | Why? That’s the right question. | 为什么?这是正确的问题 |
[00:23] | Your bread and butter, huh? Having the right questions. | 你的谋生之道啊? 提出正确的问题 |
[00:26] | Like having the right answers is yours. | 就像你有正确的答案 |
[00:29] | – Did we start? – Nope. | 我们开始了吗? 没有 |
[00:30] | – Don’t mind them. – Right, right. | 别理他们 没错 |
[00:32] | Why am I letting you tail me, that what you’re asking? | 我为什么让你尾随我? |
[00:35] | I mean, I pitch, but I’m always surprised when people accept. | 我会游说 但是人们接受时我总是很惊讶 |
[00:38] | – Well, I’d seen your work. – Well, exactly. | 我看过你的作品 真的 |
[00:41] | And, you know, I’m not expecting a free ride. | 我不会指望免费大放送 |
[00:44] | I just… I guess I thought your… | 我只是认为你的… |
[00:47] | Your concept, a day in the life… A day in my life is… | 你的概念我的一天 |
[00:53] | Before we get into it, I wanna reiterate the ground rules. | 我想先把基本原则说清楚 |
[00:56] | You wanna document this, Chad? Let me have that. | 你要纪录这个吗查德?给我 |
[00:59] | I wanna be clear between you and me. | 我希望把话说清楚 |
[01:01] | – Of course. – Your access is to me. | 当然 你的是来找我 |
[01:03] | – And your staff and coworkers. – Yes, but if you’re hoping… | 还有你的幕僚和同事 没错可是如果你希望… |
[01:06] | …for time with senior staff or in the Oval… | 和资深幕僚谈话或进椭圆形办公室 |
[01:08] | …you picked the wrong gal. Not what I do. | 你就找错人了 |
[01:11] | I can’t let this project compromise my obligations… | 我不能让这个案子阻扰… |
[01:13] | …to the president of the United States. | 我对美国总统的义务 |
[01:15] | – I was bragging. – Let’s get back to why. | 我在吹嘘 让我们回到为什么的问题 |
[01:18] | Well, I think, and… | 我想… |
[01:28] | After President Bartlet, my face is the most associated… | 继巴特勒总统之后 我的脸孔最常和他的政府相连 |
[01:30] | …with this administration, yet for all its visibility, it’s not well understood. | 但是尽管曝光率很高 却未受到足够了解 |
[01:37] | The public’s used to seeing me confronting an adversarial press… | 民众经常看我面抗敌意的媒体 |
[01:40] | …and there’s a misconception that I’m here to stymie reporters… | 有人误解我要阻碍记者 |
[01:44] | …or to mislead the public, to spin or even hide the truth… | 或误导大众 编造谎言或隐藏真相 |
[01:48] | …when, in fact, any good press secretary aims to do just the opposite. | 但事实上优秀的新闻秘书 目标正好相反 |
[01:54] | This is a terrible idea. | 这个主意真糟 |
[01:57] | I don’t know what I was thinking. This is such… Let’s call this off. | 不知道当时我在想什么 我们取消吧 |
[02:00] | The breakneck pace we live at… | 我们的生活分秒必争 |
[02:02] | …the 24-hour news cycle. Is this good for the country? | 一天24小时新闻广播 这是一国之福吗? |
[02:06] | Is it inescapable? How do we reflect, get perspective? | 它是否无法逃避? 我们如何反省提出观点? |
[02:10] | Since the advent of TV in the middle of the 20th century… | 自从20世界中叶电视发明以来 |
[02:13] | … the White House press secretary has been no stranger to Americans. | 大众对白宫新闻秘书不再陌生 |
[02:17] | But what about the private aspects of this office? | 但是这个职位的私人面呢? |
[02:20] | In the current media explosion, how is this important job changing? | 在媒体爆炸的时代 这个重要工作有什么改变? |
[02:24] | And to what extent does the individual… | 担任新闻秘书的人 |
[02:26] | … serving as press secretary at any moment… | 在任何时刻如何界定… |
[02:28] | … define America ‘s relationship with the White House? | 美国与白宫的关系? |
[02:32] | To answer these questions, Access spent a day… | 《门路》在白宫花了一天 |
[02:34] | … with White House Press Secretary C.J. Cregg. | 贴身采访新闻秘书茜洁葛瑞 |
[02:39] | I see my job as making sure the press… | 我的工作是确保媒体知情 |
[02:41] | …and through them, the public, is well informed. | 并透过媒体使大众知情 |
[02:44] | I tell them the truth. | 我对他们说真话 |
[02:48] | – That’s my goal. – But our cameras captured a day… | 那是我的目标 我们的摄影机捕捉了… |
[02:51] | … that was anything but ordinary. | 非比寻常的一天 |
[02:53] | In the corridors of the West Wing, Access became part… | 在西厢走廊上 《门路》成为现代媒体机制的一环 |
[02:56] | … of the modern media machine that witnessed a harrowing and historic day… | 见证了巴特勒政府 |
[03:00] | … for the entire Bartlet administration. | 历史性的一天 |
[03:03] | Tonight, Access goes behind the podium… | 今晚《门路》将来到讲台后面 |
[03:06] | … and we invite you to come with us. | 邀请你一同探索 |
[03:57] | This program was shot over a two-day period… | 本节目分两天拍摄 |
[04:00] | … a year into president Josiah Bartlet’s second term in office. | 巴特勒总统第二任的第一年 |
[04:03] | On the first day, Access conducted interviews… | 第一天《门路》将访问 |
[04:06] | … with Press Secretary C.J. Cregg, her staff and her coworkers. | 新闻秘书茜洁葛瑞 和她的幕僚与同事 |
[04:10] | The following day, we spent over 12 hours backstage in the White House… | 第二天我们在白宫幕后12小时 |
[04:14] | … on the heels of the country’s most visible spokesperson. | 跟访全国最显眼的发言人 |
[04:17] | However, for national security purposes, the release of this documentary… | 然而为了国家安全起见 在巴特勒政府下台之前 |
[04:21] | … was prohibited until the administration left office. | 本纪录片禁止发行 |
[04:25] | (《白宫幕后》) | |
[04:25] | Before 24-hour cable news and the Internet… | 全天候有线新闻和网路问世之前 |
[04:28] | … the White House press secretary had a more controlled set of deadlines. | 白宫新闻秘书 对于截止期限有较大的掌控 |
[04:32] | Today, the press office feeds a media machine with a round-the-clock appetite. | 今天新闻处要不断给予 媒体全天候的新闻 |
[04:36] | The following is the president’s press schedule for March 31 st. | 以下是总统新闻处 在3月31日的行程表 |
[04:41] | This is for news planning only, not release. | 这只是新闻规划不是正式发布 |
[04:43] | Sixty-six million Americans subscribe to daily newspapers. | 六千六百万美国人订阅日报 |
[04:47] | An average news website clocks 200 hits a second. | 一般新闻网站一秒点阅200次 |
[04:50] | And from a camera positioned outside the northwest gate… | 从一台设在西北门的摄影机 |
[04:53] | … CNN’s Channel 53 offers constant coverage… | 有线电视的53频道 提供宾州大道1600号 |
[04:56] | … of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. | 全天候的报导 |
[04:58] | I don’t think it was ever a laid-back job. | 这份工作绝不轻松 |
[05:01] | But I like to think that Jim Haggerty, who was Eisenhower’s press secretary… | 可是我认为艾森豪的新闻秘书 吉米哈格地 |
[05:05] | …kind of knew what they were getting into… | 在他们准许记者会 |
[05:08] | …when they started allowing press conferences… | 首次接受录影播出时 |
[05:10] | …to be recorded for broadcast for the first time. | 心里其实有数 |
[05:13] | Giving up control of your message… | 交出对你讯息的控制权 |
[05:15] | …putting that in the hands of news producers. | 将它交给新闻制作人 |
[05:18] | For those 33 minutes Haggerty stood in the Indian Treaty Room… | 在这33分钟内 哈格地站在印地安条约室 |
[05:21] | …I can only imagine what he was feeling. | 他做何感想不难想像 |
[05:23] | I see we’re trying a new experiment this morning. | 今早我们要做一项新实验 |
[05:26] | I hope it doesn ‘t prove to be a disturbing influence. | 希望不会造成不良的影响 |
[05:29] | Before Eisenhower, the White House press corps… | 在艾森豪之前白宫新闻人员 |
[05:32] | … was a controllable entity, tucked in the president’s pocket. | 是个可控制的实体 塞在总统的口袋里 |
[05:35] | But in 1955, the whir of cameras leveled the playing field… | 但是从1955年起 摄影机使媒体和政府 |
[05:39] | … between the press and the administration. | 能够平起平坐 |
[05:41] | It represented a fundamental shift in power… | 它代表了权力的基本转向 |
[05:44] | … one still deeply felt by today’s press secretary. | 仍使今天的新闻秘书感受深刻 |
[05:48] | Morning, Ms. Cregg. ID, please. And I need IDs from your crew. | 早安葛瑞小姐 我需要你的组员戴识别牌 |
[05:52] | My day starts at home before 5, actually. | 我的一天始于家里早上5点 |
[05:54] | I scan all the major news outlets online before I get dressed. | 在我换衣服之前 先浏览网上重大新闻网要 |
[05:57] | On my way in, I try to stay off the phone. | 进办公室前我尽量不接电话 |
[06:01] | My commute’s the one time I can be by myself, gather my thoughts. | 通勤途中是我唯一的独处时间 让我整理思绪 |
[06:05] | – How’s Eden? – Oh, she’s great. Thanks for asking. | 伊登好吗? 很好谢谢你问候 |
[06:08] | – Clear. Thank you, have a great day. – Thanks. Stay dry. | 谢谢祝愉快 谢了别淋湿 |
[06:11] | Relax. | 别紧张 |
[06:13] | – White House press office. – I arrive usually around 7, 7:30… | 白宫新闻室 我在7点或7点半抵达 |
[06:16] | …depending, and it is no clich? walking through those doors… | 根据我穿过那几道门的时间而定 |
[06:20] | …walking to go to work in the White House… | 说真的走路进去白宫上班 |
[06:24] | …it never gets old. | 绝非一成不变 |
[06:25] | Anyway, the morning starts with senior staff… | 早晨通常始于和资深幕僚会谈 |
[06:28] | …then I have a gaggle with the press. | 然后与媒体小聚 |
[06:30] | Then I meet with my staff and deputies about the events of the day. | 再与幕僚和助理讨论一天的行程 |
[06:33] | 8:30 a.m., the president meets with House and Senate leadership… | 8点半总统会与白宫 及参议院领袖会面 |
[06:37] | …Cabinet Room, the White House. | 白宫内阁厅 |
[06:39] | – Is anybody waiting for me? – Steve and Chris. | 有人在等我吗? 史蒂夫和克里斯 |
[06:41] | Is she chatty? That’s trouble. | 她很聒噪吗?那很麻烦 |
[06:45] | – Is he on the president’s schedule? – Who? | 他在总统的行程上吗? 谁? |
[06:47] | – The FBI director. – Don’t think so. | 联邦调查局局长 应该没有 |
[06:49] | Steve’s looking for a quote on tech-sector growth. | 史蒂夫要找一条 关于科技业成长的引语 |
[06:51] | Hey, Steve, I beg mercy. Don’t make me talk tech growth before coffee. | 史蒂夫求求你 别让我在喝咖啡前谈科技成长 |
[06:56] | I will say this: The tech sector represents 6 million jobs. | 我会说:科技业代表六百万份工作 |
[06:58] | – That I can look up. – Your daughter hear anything? | 这个我可以自己找 你的女儿有消息吗? |
[07:01] | Accepted at the Annenberg School at Penn. | 被宾州安娜堡学院录取了 |
[07:03] | – That’s wonderful. – Isn’t that great? Thank you. | 好极了 好不好?谢谢 |
[07:06] | – What you got? – Not gonna like it. | 有什么消息? 你不会喜欢的 |
[07:08] | – I never expect to. – At last year’s inaugural… | 从来就没指望 去年就职典礼上 |
[07:10] | …the first lady wore a Richard Tyler gown, satin off-the-shoulder. | 第一夫人穿了一件 露肩绸缎的晚礼服 |
[07:14] | I have a source that says she accepted that gown as a gift. | 消息来源说那是设计师送的礼物 |
[07:17] | – The ethics rules are clear. – I’ll be rifling through… | 伦理规则说得很清楚 我会检查 |
[07:20] | …the first lady’s closet. – You could get fired for that. | 第一夫人的衣柜 你会被开除的 |
[07:23] | – lf I’m lucky. – Today’s schedule, and it’s time. | 那算幸运了 今天的行程和时间 |
[07:26] | You can’t afford to ignore what even seems trivial. | 连鸡毛蒜皮也不能忽略 |
[07:29] | And I have a call in to the first lady’s office. | 我打电话到第一夫人办公室 |
[07:32] | The minister’s wife has a cold and she can’t make it onto the podium. | 首相太太感冒了不能上讲台 |
[07:36] | Remember the Bartlet-the-dog-hater? That was entirely my fault. | 记得巴特勒讨厌狗的事吗? 那全是我的错 |
[07:41] | I made light of some question why the Bartlets had never owned a dog… | 我对巴特勒为何不养狗的问题 开了一个玩笑 |
[07:44] | …and there were stories for weeks. | 结果连续几周风波不息 |
[07:46] | It was a joke, folks. It was my joke, and it wasn ‘t even funny. | 我是开玩笑的 根本也不好笑 |
[07:50] | The president does not dislike dogs. The entire family… | 总统不讨厌狗 他们全家… |
[07:53] | … have been longtime supporters of the Humane Society, the ASPCA… | 一直支持人道协会 |
[07:57] | Each morning, the press secretary meets with White House senior staff… | (幕僚长里奥马加瑞) 每天早上 新闻秘书和白宫资深幕僚见面 |
[08:01] | … the president’s closest advisors. | 这些是总统最密切的顾问 |
[08:05] | This is the staff’s first opportunity to sift through… | 这是幕僚们最初的机会 |
[08:07] | … the day’s impending events and issues. | 过滤当天的活动和议题 |
[08:10] | Your day takes off. Keep the balls in the air and don’t drop the wrong one. | 你的一天已经排满了 一个也不能出错 |
[08:14] | – What else? – Well, while the president’s greeting… | 还有什么? 总统接见乌干达代表团的时候 |
[08:17] | …the Ugandan delegation, which I guess is gonna happen later… | 我想是在今天稍后 |
[08:20] | …I’ll be briefed by the surgeon general and the AIDS Policy Office. | 我会听取卫生署署长 和爱滋病政策处的简报 |
[08:25] | They wanna make modifications on PAPP. | 他们想对PAPP提出修正 |
[08:28] | – Pan-African…? – AIDS Prevention Policy. | 那是泛非… 爱滋病防治政策 |
[08:31] | C.J. was someone I found during a senatorial campaign in New York. | 茜洁是我在纽约一次 参议员的竞选时发现的 |
[08:36] | She was doing PR with a New York firm. | 当时她在一家纽约事务所做公关 |
[08:42] | And we were probably 36 points behind… | 当时我们落后36个百分点 |
[08:46] | …when we got C.J., and… | 我们找来茜洁后 |
[08:51] | …with her help, I think we gained two or three points before we lost. | 在败选之前增加了两三个百分点 |
[08:55] | – Anything else? – Any progress on the D-day anniversary? | 还有别的吗? 诺曼第登陆纪念日有进展吗? |
[08:58] | The accelerated release of information is a concern of everyone… | 对于白宫的每位工作人员 |
[09:02] | … in today’s White House. | 资讯的加速发布都是一大顾虑 |
[09:04] | They all have to consider how the message will play in the press. | 他们必须考虑媒体如何处理讯息 |
[09:08] | FBI put something on the president’s schedule? | 联邦调查局在总统行程上吗? |
[09:11] | – Who’s asking? – So far, just me. | 谁在问? 目前只有我 |
[09:13] | – No. – There have been times where… | 没有 有时候 |
[09:15] | …for her own sake, in order to do her job… | 她为了做好工作 |
[09:20] | …and for her to remain an honest source for reporters… | 并成为媒体诚实的消息来源 |
[09:24] | – lf the reporters see the director here… – Yeah, he’s just stopping by. | 如果记者发现局长在这里 他只是顺道经过 |
[09:28] | If she were to have information, she would be ethically bound to share it… | 如果她获得情报 根据伦理必须分享 |
[09:32] | …and I don’t wanna put her in that position. | 我不想让她处于那个局面 |
[09:35] | It is a tough job. And it only gets tougher. | 这份工作很棘手 而且越来越棘手 |
[09:39] | We have a fraternity of former press secretaries, we get together, a club. | 我们这些前任新闻秘书 彼此有交情会联络 |
[09:43] | There’s maybe eight or so guys still kicking. | 大概还有八个人左右 |
[09:46] | We all know what it’s like to stand out there… | 我们都知道站在讲台上 |
[09:48] | …taking those bullets, shrapnel’s flying… | 接受子弹攻击炮弹四射 |
[09:51] | …while the rest of the president’s staff is back in the bunker… | 而总统的其他幕僚 都在幕后安全无虞 |
[09:54] | …safe and sound, where they should be. | 而他们应该如此 |
[09:56] | You see, there’s a loneliness in this job. | 这份工作有孤寂之处 |
[09:59] | A certain frontline mentality… | 必须站在前线 |
[10:01] | …that your colleagues in the rear echelon never understand. | 而后面的同事永远不明白 |
[10:05] | We got stills first. | 我们先拍平面照 |
[10:06] | The majority of the president’s exposure to the press… | 总统在媒体上的曝光 |
[10:11] | … is in photo pools. Still photographers wait their turn for a prized 30 seconds… | 多半是在拍照时间 平面摄影师等候宝贵的30秒 |
[10:15] | … in the presence of the president. | 捕捉总统的影像 |
[10:17] | The organized chaos of this flashbulb frenzy… | 闪光灯的此起彼落 |
[10:20] | … is carefully wrangled by the Press Office… | 是新闻处小心安排的结果 |
[10:22] | … a staff of 14 young aides and assistants under C.J. Cregg. | 他们包括茜洁葛瑞手下 14位年轻助理 |
[10:26] | How did you end up working at the White House? | 你怎么会到白宫上班的? |
[10:28] | I was going to NYU. I was a journalism major, always interested in politics… | 我念纽约大学新闻系 总是对政治很感兴趣 |
[10:35] | …and an opportunity came through friends of the family. | 透过家族友人获得这个机会 |
[10:38] | My father’s in the military. | 我父亲是军人 |
[10:40] | I actually went to Howard University here in D.C. | 我念的是特区的霍华大学 |
[10:44] | I wrote for the paper, the student paper there. And I was writing articles… | 我为校内学生报写稿 |
[10:51] | …criticizing the administration about gay issues… | 批评政府的同性恋政策 |
[10:53] | …and racial issues. And I, on a lark, kind of wrote this letter to C. J… | 以及种族议题 我写了一封信给茜洁 |
[10:58] | …asking if she’d see me, because I wasn’t getting a response from them… | 想要采访她 因为我没有获得他们的答覆 |
[11:02] | …and at the meeting, she actually offered me… | 在会面时她竟然给了我… |
[11:05] | …this position that opened up. | 这个出缺的职位 |
[11:07] | That’s it. I’m serious. | 真的不盖你 |
[11:09] | 10:30 a.m., the president meets with minister of health, Dr. Fabius… | 10点30分总统与卫生部长法边斯 |
[11:15] | M-A-K-A-B-U-A… | 马卡布 |
[11:17] | Then it’s time for the press secretary’s meeting with her communications staff… | 然后新闻秘书和通讯幕僚开会 |
[11:23] | … who try to anticipate the direction of the news. | 着手预期新闻的走向 |
[11:26] | The Ugandans are on schedule. Setup’s begun. | 乌干达代表团准时 |
[11:28] | It’s a little windy out there, but Audio said the mikes will be fine. | 外头有点风 可是音响部说麦克风没问题 |
[11:32] | The president is not taking questions. It’s just the prepared statement. | 总统不接受发问 只会宣读准备的声明 |
[11:36] | – They know that. – Let’s hope he does. | 他们知道 希望他知道 |
[11:38] | They might ask you something about Congresswoman Wyatt… | 他们可能会问你国会女议员苇特 |
[11:41] | …getting chummy with the Palestinians. – Okay. | 和巴勒斯坦人走得近的问题 好的 |
[11:43] | And we’ve had a change in the schedule. | 行程有变 |
[11:45] | – No! – Not already! | 不! 这么快! |
[11:47] | You begin every day juggling a very precise schedule, which completely… | 每天的行程都很紧凑 |
[11:51] | …completely falls apart midmorning. | 可是在上午10时左右全盘瓦解 |
[11:53] | Guaranteed. | 保证如此 |
[11:55] | You know those Eagle Rangers? | 你知道那些老鹰童子军? |
[11:56] | They apparently got lost. | 他们迷路了 |
[11:59] | So we’re gonna have to postpone until 2. | 我们得延到下午两点 |
[12:01] | – There might be a weather thing. – We like the Rose Garden. | 天气可能有问题 我们想在玫瑰园举行 |
[12:04] | Satellite service says there’s only a 30 percent chance of rain, so might be fine. | 卫星服务说下雨机率只有三成 应该没问题 |
[12:09] | – Have you looked out the window? – Keep an eye on it. | 你有看窗外吗? 继续观察 |
[12:11] | – Make sure there’s a backup plan. – I’ll be with Vatican advance all day… | 确定有备用计划 我一整天都会和梵蒂冈先遣团在一起 |
[12:15] | …discussing His Eminence’s imminent arrival. | 讨论红衣主教的莅临 |
[12:17] | – I think it’s His Holiness. – Eminence is imminent. | 应该是教宗 红衣主教要来临 |
[12:20] | – Say that three times fast. – Eminence is imminent… | 快速说三次说说看 红衣主教要来临 |
[12:23] | …eminence is imminent… – Everybody back to work. | 红衣主教要来临 大家回去工作了 |
[12:26] | Who’s following breaking crime news for me? | 谁帮我追踪犯罪新闻的? |
[12:28] | Me. Nothing coming in that suggests FBI involvement. | 我没有消息显示 联邦调查局卷入其中 |
[12:31] | – FBI? – I’m just keeping Eric on his toes. | 联邦调查局? 我只是要让艾立克提高警觉 |
[12:34] | – Everybody get back to work. – Hold on one second. | 大家回去工作了 等一下 |
[12:37] | – C.J. – Yeah. | 茜洁 怎样? |
[12:38] | I articulate the president’s message… | 我清楚传达总统的讯息 |
[12:41] | …and to honestly inform the press, and through them, the public… | 诚实通报媒体 透过他们向大众报告 |
[12:44] | …about what is happening on any given day. | 每一天的新闻 |
[12:47] | – They need you in Leo’s, now. – All of us? | 他们现在要你去里奥办公室 我们都去吗? |
[12:51] | They didn’t say. | 他们没说 |
[12:53] | Okay. No big deal. Okay. | 好吧没关系 |
[12:55] | – I’m so sorry. – It’s all right. | 很抱歉 没问题 |
[13:00] | You think the director of the FBI will let us in this? | 你认为联邦调查局会让我们参与? |
[13:04] | Hard to tell. | 很难说 |
[13:06] | I gather he’s a pretty independent guy. | 我想他蛮独立的 |
[13:08] | – He is. – And not afraid of the limelight. | 他是 而且不怕聚光灯 |
[13:15] | So typical morning so far? | 目前算是平常的一天吗? |
[13:17] | – Yes and no. – Because we’re here? | 是也不是 因为我们在这里? |
[13:20] | I don’t have to tell you about the Heisenberg Principle. | 我不必告诉你海森伯原理 |
[13:23] | The act of observing a phenomenon changes it. | 观察现象就会产生改变 |
[13:28] | All right. | 好吧 |
[13:30] | They signed the waivers. | 他们签署了弃权书 |
[13:31] | – I’ve seen your films. – Yeah? Excuse me. | 我看过你的影片 是吗?抱歉 |
[13:33] | – Wait a minute. – Good work. | 等等 做得好 |
[13:35] | Thank you. Nice to meet you. | 谢谢幸会 |
[13:37] | Director Arnold, this is Todd Schumaker and Agent Casper. | 阿诺局长这是陶德舒马克 和凯斯普探员 |
[13:40] | Director Arnold has a situation unfolding. | 阿诺局长有个发展中的情况 |
[13:43] | It’s not for White House comment at this time. | 白宫现在不予置评 |
[13:45] | We don’t believe you’ll be asked about it, but we thought you should be aware. | 我们认为你不会被问到 但是你应该知情 |
[13:50] | – Well, I appreciate that. – We have six federal agents… | 很感谢 六个联邦探员 |
[13:52] | …surrounding a remote cabin on Shaw Island… | 围住萧岛一个偏僻的小屋 |
[13:57] | …in the San Juans, 20 miles from Washington state. | 在华盛顿州20英里外的圣璜 |
[14:00] | A man named Jamal Othman, a naturalized Yemeni-American… | 一个叫贾莫欧斯曼的人 已归化的叶门裔美国人 |
[14:03] | …is inside with his family. | 和他的家人在屋里 |
[14:05] | I’m sorry, is he being brought up on charges or…? | 抱歉他是因为指控还是… |
[14:07] | Othman was under investigation for arms trafficking. | 欧斯曼因为走私武器被调查 |
[14:10] | Our agents tracked him to his current location… | 我们的探员追踪到他的目前地点 |
[14:13] | …where gunfire was exchanged 90 minutes ago. | 九十分钟前发生枪战 |
[14:15] | – Gunfire? – The president has been notified. | 枪战? 总统已经知道消息了 |
[14:18] | We’ll let you know when it resolves. | 我们会告诉你最新状况 |
[14:20] | Why do you think I’m not gonna be asked questions about this? | 为何认为媒体不会问我这条消息? |
[14:23] | Shaw Island is only accessible by ferry and by float plane. | 到萧岛只能坐渡轮和水上飞机 |
[14:27] | If this story breaks, it’ll take news crews about… | 如果消息走漏 新闻媒体至少要花45分钟 |
[14:30] | …45 minutes, an hour and a half. | 一个半小时才能抵达 |
[14:32] | Our Seattle field office media rep is already setting up on-site. | 我们的西雅图地方办公室媒体代表 已经部署现场了 |
[14:35] | He’s prepared to handle the press. | 他准备好应付媒体 |
[14:37] | – When you say gunfire, I mean… – Thank you, C.J. | 你说枪战时… 谢谢茜洁 |
[14:39] | – All right. I’m just… – Thank you. | 好吧我只是… 谢谢 |
[14:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[14:43] | I am here to articulate the president’s message and to honestly… | 我在这里清楚传达总统的讯息 |
[14:47] | …inform the press and, through them, the public… | 诚实通报媒体 透过他们向大众报告 |
[14:49] | …about what is happening on any given day. | 每一天的新闻 |
[14:52] | – When we return… – C.J., they have it. | 等我们回来后 茜洁他们知道了 |
[14:54] | … breaking news turns the White House upside down. | 一件惊爆消息使白宫天翻地覆 |
[14:58] | Is this another Casey Creek? | 这是另一起凯西溪事件吗? |
[15:02] | The White House released the journal numbers… | 白宫发布期刊号码 |
[15:05] | – You have to calm down! – Okay. Journal numbers… | 你们必须镇定下来 好的记者号码 |
[15:09] | Early in the day, before the briefing… | (白宫记者小聚 上午9点46分) 一大早在简报会之前 |
[15:11] | … reporters from the major outlets meet for an informal gaggle… | 主要媒体的记者会和新闻秘书 |
[15:14] | …with the secretary. – Why was the FBI director here? | 做一次非正式会面 为什么联邦调查局局长在这里? |
[15:17] | – He briefs the president twice a week. – He did yesterday… | 他一周向总统简报两次 他昨天才做过 |
[15:20] | …so I thought something’s up. As far as you know…? | 所以我认为另有内情就你所知 待我查明 |
[15:23] | – He’s briefing the president. – Is there a danger that the president’s…? | 他在向总统简报 总统是否有危险… |
[15:27] | Do I ever have to lie to the press? | 我曾经必须向媒体说谎吗? |
[15:29] | Sometimes, lots of times… | 有时候很多时候 |
[15:32] | …I withhold information for valid reasons. | 我因为正当理由而隐瞒资讯 |
[15:34] | But you can’t lie. You risk damaging your credibility… | 是不能说谎 否则就会失去… |
[15:37] | …in front of a bunch of smart people. | 一群聪明人对你的信任 |
[15:39] | And if they stop trusting you, the system’s broken. | 如果他们不相信你 这个体系就崩溃了 |
[15:42] | Do you think she ever has to lie to the press? | 她曾经要向媒体说谎吗? |
[15:45] | That’s tough to answer in front of a camera. | 这个问题很难在摄影机前回答 |
[15:49] | No, I don’t think C.J. lies. | 我认为茜洁不会说谎 |
[15:51] | I think that the press secretary must… | 我认为新闻秘书的表达 |
[15:54] | …present what’s best for the White House and for the country. | 必须基于白宫和国家的最佳利益 |
[15:58] | And sometimes those are hard decisions to make. | 有时候决定很棘手 |
[16:01] | – is not over. Speaking of which, we need to wrap up. | 说到这里我们要收尾了 |
[16:03] | Am I skeptical of what she tells me? Absolutely. It’s my job to be skeptical. | 我对于她的话是否存疑? 当然我的职责就是要存疑 |
[16:07] | The public relies on me to question their White House. | 民众依靠我质询白宫 |
[16:12] | We get to do that in a free society. | 这是我们在自由社会的天职 |
[16:13] | You could say that’s at the core of our freedom. | 可以说那是自由的核心 |
[16:16] | We get to question power. | 我们有质疑权 |
[16:18] | Yeah, I don’t… I don’t buy into that. | 我不吃那一套 |
[16:20] | I mean, the truth, I know, is an elusive idea. | 我知道真相是个难以理解的观点 |
[16:24] | But there is a time and a place for when certain facts… | 可是某些事实在某些天时地利之下 |
[16:28] | …can be dispensed to the press and to the public. | 可以向媒体和大众发布 |
[16:31] | What prepares a young girl born and raised in Dayton, Ohio… | 一个在俄亥俄州长大的女孩 |
[16:35] | … for a position as spokesperson for the White House… | 如何成为白宫 |
[16:38] | … and president of the United States? | 以及美国总统发言人? |
[16:40] | Well, I got a lot of drive from my father. | 我从父亲遗传到很多冲劲 |
[16:43] | But it’s actually my mother who I think about almost every single day I’m here. | 但我每天在这里想的却是我母亲 |
[16:48] | She was, like a lot of women, for better or for worse… | 她就像大部分的女性一样 |
[16:51] | …the communicator in our family. | 是我们家的沟通者 |
[16:53] | The go-between. | 中间人 |
[16:55] | She told us what my dad and grandpa had said… | 她告诉我们父亲和祖父说的话 |
[16:59] | …or she softened what they had meant to say. | 或是软化他们要说的话 |
[17:01] | She was a natural. She would’ve understood this job. | 她有天生的才能 她会了解这份工作的 |
[17:04] | The pope will have the chair we agreed upon. | 教宗会坐我们同意的椅子 |
[17:06] | One of the hardest things to learn: | 最难学的一件事: |
[17:10] | There are so many true crises… | 有这么多真正的危机 |
[17:12] | …so many lurking situations that could be dangerous for the president… | 这么多潜在的局面 可能对总统有害 |
[17:16] | …it’s hard not to get caught up in the adrenaline and make everything lethal. | 实在很难不卯起来 把每件事都看成致命事件 |
[17:20] | – in allowing the president’s audience to be shared. | 使总统的谒见能够分享给大众 |
[17:23] | What does that involve? Shots of the president kissing his ring? | 那会涉及什么? 拍摄总统亲吻他的戒指? |
[17:27] | – Are you uncomfortable asking for this? – Well, is the pope Catholic? | 你对于这一点是否介意? 教宗是天主教徒吗? |
[17:31] | – Excuse us. – I’m afraid I don’t… | 抱歉 恐怕我不… |
[17:33] | Would you excuse us for just a moment, please? | 我们失陪一下 |
[17:36] | He’s gonna chastise the president on birth control in front of… | 他要在教宗面前谴责总统的节育… |
[17:40] | Okay, you’re not listening. You need to go in and apologize. | 你没有在听 你需要走进去道歉 |
[17:43] | If he doesn’t want his audience with the pope to be public, it won’t. | 如果他不希望公开与教宗的谒见 就不会公开 |
[17:46] | If he does, that’s a headache way over your pay grade. Okay? | 如果他想那就不是你该烦恼的 |
[17:50] | – Okay. – It’s more than picking your battles… | 好吧 不止是打起精神… |
[17:55] | …marshalling your energy. | 迎战而已 |
[17:58] | It’s about grace under fire. | 而是在枪炮下保持优雅 |
[18:02] | All war metaphors. | 全是战争的比喻 |
[18:04] | I guess that’s it. Being able to tell when it’s a matter of life or death. | 就是这样 能够知道何谓生死攸关的大事 |
[18:09] | – Where’s your mother now? – She died. | 你母亲现在在哪里? 她过世了 |
[18:11] | – Oh, I’m sorry. – That’s okay. | 很抱歉 没关系 |
[18:14] | – How about your father? – He’s in Dayton, Ohio. | 你父亲呢? 他在俄亥俄州 |
[18:18] | – And how’s he? – He’s… | 他的近况如何? 他… |
[18:22] | Actually, he’s suffering from Alzheimer’s and… | 其实他有阿兹海默氏症 |
[18:25] | I know that her dad is struggling, and I think that’s a perfect example. | 我知道她爸爸情况不好 这是一个很好的例子 |
[18:29] | I mean, in any other profession, she would have the time… | 做其他职业她都会有时间 |
[18:33] | She is knowingly not doing what she needs to do… | 她明知没有尽到该尽的职责 |
[18:38] | …to be with her father, who is elderly and struggling… | 和她的父亲在一起 他年老又有病 |
[18:44] | …because she has this particular opportunity and position. | 因为她有这特别的机会和职位 |
[18:47] | That’s a very difficult choice to make. | 这是一个艰难的选择 |
[18:50] | I don’t think she has… I think she understands the choice she’s making. | 我认为她了解自己所做的选择 |
[18:54] | And I think it’s also the choice that her father would want her to make. | 我想她父亲也会让她做出这个选择 |
[18:59] | And I think she knows that. But it makes it very difficult. | 我想她知道 可是情况很困难 |
[19:02] | She has such great instincts. | 她的直觉很强 |
[19:06] | I think that she is so agile, and her wit and her charm… | 她非常敏捷机智又迷人 |
[19:12] | …and I think the people… | 我想其他人… |
[19:14] | The press really respect her, and so that she can keep… | 媒体非常尊敬她 |
[19:18] | …a very strong but friendly relationship with the press. | 因此她能和媒体保持 强势又友善的关系 |
[19:22] | And I think that that’s important. What do I know? But this is my opinion. | 我认为那是很重要的 这只是我的意见 |
[19:25] | You are interviewing me. | 你在采访我 |
[19:28] | – 3:00. – Nope. | 3点 不行 |
[19:29] | – 3: 15. 3:30. – No. No. | 3点15分3点30分 不行 |
[19:32] | – 3:45. – He has a conference call. | 3点45分 他有一场会议要开 |
[19:34] | – 4:00. – He has a NEC thing at 4:00 I can’t push. | 4点 4点全国经济委员会有事 |
[19:37] | If the Eagle troops make it back, we can move it to the Mural Room… | 如果老鹰部队回来后 我们就能搬到壁画室 |
[19:40] | …and make it a spray. – What time? | 安排拍照 什么时候? |
[19:43] | – 4:30. – No. | 4点30分 不行 |
[19:45] | You heard any buzz out of Seattle? The PI, The Times, anyone? | 听说西雅图的喧哗吗?《私人调查》 《时代杂志》有人吗? |
[19:50] | Are you the sound guy? I’m supposed to make sure the levels aren’t too high. | 你是音效师吗? 我要确定音量不会太高 |
[19:56] | Because last time there was feedback, and it’s… Do you need help with that? | 因为上次有人反应 我需要请人帮忙吗? |
[20:01] | You know why I’m asking? Because he’s about to head out, and… | 我为什么会问? 因为他正要走出去 |
[20:04] | Correction. He is heading out. | 更正他走出去了 |
[20:07] | I told them to wait until… | 我要他们等到… |
[20:10] | Of course I’m nervous. I’ve got him in front of cameras, and you’re not… | 我当然紧张了 我让他站在摄影机前你没有… |
[20:13] | What do you wanna hear? I’m panicked too? | 你想要我怎样? 我也很慌张? |
[20:16] | You know what? The director said this was gonna be settled an hour ago. | 局长说一小时前就该解决了 |
[20:21] | – characterize USAID funds as a cash cow for Cuban dissidents. | 将国际发展及援助机构描绘成 古巴异议份子的金主 |
[20:25] | Are you watching? He’s taking… The Ugandans aren’t taking… | 你在看吗?他在… 乌干达代表没有… |
[20:28] | – He’s taking a question. – I’m watching. He’s taking a question. | 他在接受提问 我在看他在接受提问 |
[20:31] | Secretary Berryhill and myself are deeply troubled by the repeated jailings… | 国务卿贝瑞希尔和我 对于更多古巴政治异议份子坐牢 |
[20:35] | … of political dissidents in Cuba, especially… | 感到很不安特别是… |
[20:38] | – Oh, boy. …as 15,000 desperate Cuban citizens… | 老天 一万五千名绝望的古巴百姓 |
[20:42] | … continue to risk life and limb to reach our shores every year. | 每年冒险抵达我们的海岸 |
[20:45] | America looks forward to the day when aid to Cuban citizens… | 美国希望有一天 |
[20:49] | … will no longer be necessary. | 古巴百姓不再需要援助 |
[20:51] | Yeah. Yeah. He never says it exactly the way I would… | 他从来不照我说的去讲 |
[20:56] | …but that’s the fun part. | 但那正是有趣的地方 |
[20:58] | – C.J., they have it. – Hold on. | 茜洁他们知道了 等等 |
[20:59] | Wait, I gotta go. Who has what? | 我得走了谁知道什么? |
[21:02] | Someone called in to a radio drive-time from Shaw Island. | 有人从萧岛打电话给电台 |
[21:05] | Federal agents set up a perimeter on the property next to his. | 说联邦探员在他旁边的房子设立界线 |
[21:08] | – Was gunfire mentioned? – Yeah. | 有提到枪战吗? 有 |
[21:10] | – Okay. – What do we do? | 好 我们该怎么办? |
[21:14] | She’s a great teacher, is what she is… | 她是优秀的老师 |
[21:16] | …and I think my job really is to protect her, to help her protect the president. | 我的职责是保护她 协助她保护总统 |
[21:22] | I pulled the records you asked for from Casey Creek. | 我找出你要的凯西溪记录了 |
[21:25] | The investigation reports are on your desk. That blue binder. | 调查纪录在你桌上 蓝色卷宗 |
[21:28] | FBI predicts 45 minutes for cameras to be there. I bet aerial coverage in 20. | 联邦调查局预计摄影机45分钟赶到 我打赌20分钟就有空中报导 |
[21:32] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[21:34] | – Poker face. It breaks, look surprised. – Yeah. | 苦瓜脸记得做惊讶的表情 好的 |
[21:38] | We’re showing you live images from Shaw Island, Washington… | 这是华盛顿萧岛的实况报导 |
[21:41] | Twenty-three minutes later, MSNBC carried… | 二十三分钟后网路新闻… |
[21:44] | … the first live helicopter coverage of Shaw Island. | 最先以直升机报导萧岛的最新消息 |
[21:47] | A suspected arms trafficker appears to have sequestered himself… | 一名嫌疑武器贩子隐居在… |
[21:50] | … in a small cabin in the northwest corner of the island. | 该岛西北方的小屋内 |
[21:53] | There has been no official comment on whether Mr. Othman is alone… | 目前官方并未评论 欧斯曼先生是否独自一人 |
[21:57] | … or whether he has hostages. | 还是有挟持人质 |
[21:59] | But you can see the cabin now where gunfire was exchanged two hours ago. | 但是你现在可以看到 两小时前发生枪战的小屋 |
[22:03] | Federal agents have cordoned off the area… | 联邦探员已经包围隔离此地 |
[22:06] | There’s a misconception that I’m here to stymie reporters… | 有人误解我要阻碍记者 |
[22:09] | …or to mislead the public… | 或误导大众 |
[22:11] | …to spin or even hide the truth, when, in fact, any good press secretary… | 编造谎言或隐藏真相 但事实上优秀的新闻秘书 |
[22:15] | …aims to do just the opposite. | 目标正好相反 |
[22:17] | – So the FBI director…? – I still don’t know, Greg. | 所以联邦调查局局长… 我还是不知道葛瑞格 |
[22:20] | – C.J. – Mark, I don’t have anything yet. | 茜洁 马克我还没有消息 |
[22:23] | No comment on the dog? | 对于狗不予置评? |
[22:25] | My guy’s got a vet on Shaw Island, says the Othman family dog… | 我的人在萧岛认识一位兽医 说欧斯曼家养的狗 |
[22:28] | …is in his office with an FBI agent’s bullet in it. | 在他的诊所内 中了一颗联邦探员的子弹 |
[22:31] | Is this gonna be another Casey Creek? | 这会是另一起凯西溪事件吗? |
[22:33] | – the initial outburst this morning. State and local authorities have recently… | 最初爆发于今早 州和地方当局最近… |
[22:38] | Off the record? I hope not. | 私底下说?我希望不是 |
[22:41] | Five years earlier, the FBI’s mishandling of a standoff in Casey Creek… | 五年前联邦调查局搞砸 凯西溪的一起僵持事件 |
[22:45] | … which resulted in the shooting death of the suspect’s wife… | (《今日美国》 凯西溪事件谁该负责?) 使嫌犯的妻子中枪身亡 |
[22:48] | … was a tragedy that haunted the new president’s first term. | 造成新总统第一届任期的阴影 |
[22:52] | But if the incident at Casey Creek was a tragedy… | (肯塔基州凯西溪 激战中两人身亡) 可是如果凯西溪的事件是悲剧 |
[22:55] | … the investigation that followed was considered by many… | 事后的调查却被许多人视为 延长的闹剧 |
[22:58] | … to be an extended farce. | (联邦调查局局长乔治阿诺 凯西溪事件国会听证会) |
[22:59] | Instead, the FBI will strictly adhere to the guidelines… | 反之联邦调查局严守准则 |
[23:03] | The FBI director is still failing to cooperate. | 调查局局长仍然拒绝合作 |
[23:06] | As you know, the attorney general… | 就你所知司法部长 |
[23:08] | There were calls for the director to step down and the president to fire him. | 有人呼吁局长下台 要总统开除他 |
[23:12] | The FBI has confirmed the tragic loss of Brian Anuletti. | 联邦调查局证实布莱恩阿努雷的殉职 |
[23:19] | Casey Creek also haunted President Bartlet’s young press secretary. | 凯西溪也对巴特勒总统 年轻的新闻秘书造成阴影 |
[23:23] | C.J. Cregg’s naiveté about the power of her podium… | 茜洁葛瑞对于该职位的影响力 欠缺经验 |
[23:26] | … led many to question her abilities to deliver the news of the nation. | 导致许多人质疑 她发布全国新闻的能力 |
[23:31] | It would be months before she regained the confidence… | 要等到数月后 |
[23:34] | … of the White House press corps and the Bartlet administration. | 才让白宫媒体和巴特勒政府 对她重拾信心 |
[23:38] | Did the agent mistake Pamela Charlton for her husband… | 探员在潘蜜拉家门口射杀她时 |
[23:41] | … when they shot her in the doorway of her home? | 是否把她误认为她先生? |
[23:43] | I can ‘t speak to specifics. The director and the president… | 我不能描述具体情形 局长和总统… |
[23:46] | … were in constant contact. | 保持密切接触 |
[23:48] | When you say constant contact, is that…? | 你所指的密切接触是… |
[23:50] | The president was briefed daily several times a day… | 总统一天听取数次 |
[23:53] | … by the attorney general and the director of the FBI. | 司法部长和调查局局长的简报 |
[23:56] | The president knew snipers were given the green light… | 总统知道狙击兵获得批准 |
[23:59] | …to use deadly force? – I have no idea. | 使用致命武器? 我不知道 |
[24:01] | C.J., FBI rules of engagement specify that no action may be taken… | 茜洁调查局的交战规则明言 |
[24:04] | … unless innocents are in imminent danger. | 除非无辜者处于迫近危险 否则不得采取行动 |
[24:07] | Did the director discuss suspending those rules with the president? | 局长是否和总统讨论暂时搁置 这些规则? |
[24:10] | No, though some of the agents thought the rules had been suspended. | 不可是有些探员以为规则暂时搁置 |
[24:13] | So, C.J., so there…? There was a breakdown in communication? | 茜洁所以沟通有问题? |
[24:17] | No, I didn ‘t say that. | 我没有这样说 |
[24:19] | The rules are predicated on the Constitution. | 规则基于宪法 |
[24:21] | Are you saying the FBI suspended the Constitution? | 你是说调查局暂时搁置宪法? |
[24:24] | I’m not saying that either. | 我也没有那样说 |
[24:25] | My job is making sure the press and, through them, the public, is informed. | 我的工作是确保媒体知情 并透过媒体使大众知情 |
[24:30] | I tell them the truth. | 我对他们说真话 |
[24:34] | That’s my goal. | 那是我的目标 |
[24:36] | When we return, will mistakes of the past… | 我们回来后过去的错误 |
[24:39] | … create a new crisis for the Bartlet administration? | 是否会造成巴特勒政府的新危机? |
[24:45] | We are about 200 yards from the cabin. | 我们离小屋约200码 |
[24:48] | Now, we have no answer yet from the FBI about who fired the first shots. | 我们尚未听到调查局对于 谁先开枪的答覆 |
[24:52] | The FBI has cleared the airspace here above Shaw Island… | 调查局已经清空萧岛上空领域 |
[24:56] | … and we are told that this is standard procedure. | 据称这是标准程序 |
[24:59] | And with reports of a family dog allegedly shot by federal agents… | (头条新闻:萧岛僵持事件) 据报导家中饲犬被联邦探员射伤 |
[25:02] | … the question on everyone’s mind today is: | 每个人今天的问题是: |
[25:05] | Is this another Casey Creek? | 这是另一起凯西溪事件吗? |
[25:07] | – Are you saying the FBI suspended the…? – Wow, look how young you look. | 你是说调查局暂时搁置 看看你那时多年轻 |
[25:11] | I wonder how old I’m gonna look by this time tomorrow. | 不知道明天此时我会变得多老 |
[25:14] | Don’t answer that. | 不要回答 |
[25:18] | I’m sorry we didn’t brief you about the dog… | 很抱歉我们没有简报那只狗的事 |
[25:20] | …but it wasn’t for comment, anyway. | 但是反正尚未证实 |
[25:22] | The director wanted you in the loop to extend a show of faith… | 局长希望你知情以表现信心 |
[25:26] | It was a show of something, but if I’d been truly briefed… | 那是一种表现 但如果我获得充分简报 |
[25:29] | …I could have told you this wasn’t going away. | 我就可以告诉你 这不会就此了结 |
[25:31] | Well, the director was confident that the situation would… | 局长本来相信局面会… |
[25:34] | His confidence is starting to… | 他的信心开始… |
[25:36] | Okay. Did you need me? | 你有事找我吗? |
[25:37] | – Leo wanted me to remind you… – Oh, yeah. I know my line. | 里奥要我提醒你 我知道我的分寸 |
[25:43] | – I think you look better now. – I do too. | 我认为你现在看起来好多了 我也这么觉得 |
[25:46] | – You do. – Yeah. | 真的 是呀 |
[25:48] | Even in the midst of brewing storms, the press briefing… | 即使风雨欲来新闻简报会 |
[25:50] | … is a constant centerpiece of the day. | 仍是一天的焦点 |
[25:53] | Normally, the press secretary’s chance to combat speculation… | 一般而言这是新闻秘书反击臆测 |
[25:56] | … and set the record straight. | 讲清楚、说明白的机会 |
[25:57] | Up until WWll… | 直到二次大战时 |
[26:02] | …even the general public could walk right up to the door of the White House. | 即使一般百姓也可以走进白宫 |
[26:06] | And the press office, that was born under Teddy Roosevelt. | 新闻办公室是罗斯福之后的事 |
[26:10] | We knew our way around the West Wing. | 我们都对西厢很熟 |
[26:12] | We knew the staff, the president. | 我们认识里面的幕僚、总统 |
[26:15] | There was no press room. | 当时没有新闻室 |
[26:17] | So we’d hang out in the lobby and just wait for the news of the day. | 我们就在大厅等当天的新闻 |
[26:23] | If Jim had anything for us, we’d gather around with our notebooks. | 如果吉姆有消息 我们就会带着笔记本集合 |
[26:28] | And sometimes he’d just come out and say: | 有时候他会走出来说: |
[26:31] | “Nothing more today, fellas. Go on home.” | 〝今天没新闻回家吧〞 |
[26:36] | That couldn’t happen now. | 现在可不一样了 |
[26:39] | – C.J., did the FBI fire the first shot? – Just wait till the briefing. | 茜洁调查局先开枪的吗? 请等到简报会再说 |
[26:42] | Is it Othman or Oathman? | 是欧斯曼还是奥斯曼? |
[26:44] | – Othman. – Oathman. | 欧斯曼 奥斯曼 |
[26:45] | – Which one is it? – Othman. I double-checked. | 哪一个才对? 欧斯曼我查过了 |
[26:47] | You know, from time to time, I look in on the midday briefing… | 有时候我看着正午简报会 |
[26:52] | …and it all comes back. | 回忆全都涌上心头 |
[26:54] | My heart starts to race. | 我的心跳加速 |
[26:56] | My stomach churns. | 胃部翻腾 |
[26:58] | Then I mix myself a martini and I thank God it is not me anymore. | 然后我给自己调一杯马汀尼 谢天谢地不再是我了 |
[27:03] | – C.J. – Yeah, Steve. | 茜洁 史蒂夫 |
[27:04] | What would the president say to those who fear a repeat of Casey Creek? | 对于那些害怕凯西溪重演的人 总统有何评论? |
[27:09] | The president is aware of the situation and hopeful for a peaceful resolution. | 总统知道情势 希望能够和平解决 |
[27:14] | Has he asked for an explanation of why a dog was shot by agents at the scene? | 由于探员在现场射杀一只狗 他有要求解释吗? |
[27:17] | We’re tracking the situation but do not interfere… | 我们正在追踪情势 但是不会干涉 |
[27:20] | …with ongoing law-enforcement efforts. Katie. | 持续的执法行动凯蒂 |
[27:23] | I’m following up. There are reports agents fired the first shots. Is this true? | 报导说探员先开枪是真的吗? |
[27:27] | I won’t speculate. | 我不能臆测 |
[27:29] | Can’t we safely say Othman didn’t shoot his own dog? | 我们能说欧斯曼 没有射伤他的狗吗? |
[27:31] | Again, the White House doesn’t comment on an ongoing operation. | 白宫对于持续的作业不予置评 |
[27:35] | Was the director called to the White House by the president… | 局长是否被总统叫进白宫 |
[27:38] | …or did he come on his own? – They meet twice a week… | 还是他自己来的? 他们一周会面两次 |
[27:41] | So you don’t know if they discussed the standoff? | 所以你不知道他们是否讨论僵持局面? |
[27:44] | – We’re getting word the FBI is issuing… – Yeah, I’m just getting that now. | 我们听说调查局发布… 我也刚知道 |
[27:51] | I have a statement to read. | 我要读一份声明 |
[27:53] | Our negotiator established telephone contact with Mr. Othman… | 我们的谈判员与欧斯曼建立电话联系 |
[27:56] | … inside the residence and has learned… | 他在屋子内 |
[27:58] | … one of the Othman children was injured… | 听说欧斯曼的一名子女 |
[28:00] | … in the initial exchange of gunfire. | 在一开始的枪战中受伤 |
[28:03] | I have no particulars about the extent of the injury. | 我对于伤势没有具体资讯 |
[28:05] | Othman has agreed to allow an ambulance to approach the cabin… | 欧斯曼同意让救护车接近小屋 |
[28:09] | … and let at least one other family member… | 至少让另一位家人 |
[28:11] | … help evacuate the injured child to receive medical treatment. | 协助受伤的子女就医 |
[28:14] | I have nothing further at this time. | 目前没有进一步消息 |
[28:17] | – C.J. – Excuse me. Excuse me. | 茜洁 抱歉 |
[28:22] | The FBI has cleared the airspace here above Shaw Island… | 调查局已经清除萧岛上空领域 |
[28:26] | … and we are told that this is standard procedure. | 我们听说这是标准程序 |
[28:31] | He’s in with Leo. | 他和里奥在一起 |
[28:33] | – moments ago, and as you can see, has stopped at the turnoff to the lane. | 几分钟前 已经挡住巷子的旁道 |
[28:38] | – approaching the cabin. | 接近小屋 |
[28:40] | They’re in the Oval. | 他们在椭圆形办公室 |
[28:41] | The breakneck pace we live at, the 24-hour news cycle. | 我们的生活分秒必争 一天24小时新闻广播 |
[28:45] | Is this good for the country? Is it inescapable? | 这是一国之福吗? 它是否无法逃避? |
[28:48] | How do we reflect, get perspective? | 我们如何反省提出观点? |
[28:51] | – They’re on a call. – With the director? | 他们在打电话 和局长? |
[28:53] | I can’t interrupt. | 我不能中断 |
[29:07] | – Okay. – Armed agents around the cabin… | 好吧 武装探员在小屋四周 |
[29:09] | Well, there are times when it’s what’s called a closed hold… | 有时候称为封闭消息 |
[29:15] | …when certain members of the staff… | 幕僚中的一些人 |
[29:18] | …until, again, all the information is ready to go out… | 在所有资讯准备发布之前 |
[29:23] | …some people aren’t included. That’s happened to me. | 会在状况外 我就碰过这种事 |
[29:25] | It’s happened to everybody on the staff at one point or another. | 每个人或多或少都碰过 |
[29:31] | What do you mean? | 你是什么意思? |
[29:35] | It’s Claudia Jean. It’s… | 我是茜洁 |
[29:40] | I’m at work. I’m at the White House, Daddy. | 我在上班我在白宫爸爸 |
[29:47] | Is there a nurse there? | 身边没有护士吗? |
[29:51] | I’m sorry you don’t like it, but I can’t come back right now. | 很抱歉你不高兴 可是我现在不能回去 |
[29:54] | I can’t be there right now. | 我现在走不开 |
[29:56] | I’m very, very sorry, and I love you so much, but I can’t be there. | 我真的很抱歉 而且我很爱你可是我走不开 |
[30:00] | And I will be there as soon as I can. | 我会尽快回去 |
[30:03] | Hopefully next weekend, like we talked about. | 希望在下周末我们讲好的 |
[30:07] | All right, Daddy. | 好的爸爸 |
[30:24] | The injured child is the primary concern. | 受伤的儿童是主要顾虑 |
[30:26] | President Bartlet can ‘t or he won ‘t ride herd. | 巴特勒总统无法或不愿严密监督 |
[30:29] | They were a nice family. The FBI hounded them. | 他们这家人很好 调查局紧追不舍 |
[30:31] | – from authorities since this standoff began five hours ago. | 有关当局说 这场僵持始于五小时前 |
[30:35] | Their phone was being tapped… | 他们的电话被窃听 |
[30:37] | Cowboy Arnold’s there, shooting up dogs and children. | 牛仔阿诺在那里射狗和小孩 |
[30:40] | Nobody respects the job our federal agents… | 没有人比我更尊敬我们… |
[30:42] | … do every day more than me, but where is the leadership? | 联邦探员的工作 但是领导在哪里? |
[30:45] | Oh, sure, it’s racial profiling. | 当然了这是种族偏见 |
[30:47] | As tensions mounted in the West Wing… | 西厢的张力升高 |
[30:49] | … the press secretary was kept at arm ‘s length about negotiations… | 新闻秘书对于萧岛谈判 |
[30:53] | … and the condition of the child on Shaw Island. | 以及受伤儿童的状况 被迫保持一定距离 |
[30:56] | And, of course, we’ve got that tradition of the flak jacket. You heard about that. | 当然我们有防弹衣的传统 你听过了 |
[31:00] | – No, tell me. – Well, we’ve got this flak jacket. | 没有告诉我 我们有一件防弹衣 |
[31:02] | It goes from one press secretary to the next. | 从上一任新闻秘书传给下一位 |
[31:05] | We all put little notes in the pockets, you know, words of wisdom… | 我们都在口袋放小指条珠玑语 |
[31:09] | …to the next guy on the job. | 传给继任者 |
[31:11] | – Like what? – I couldn’t tell you that. | 例如什么? 我不能告诉你 |
[31:14] | Part of the tradition is it remains private. | 传统的一部分就是保持隐私 |
[31:16] | The Roadless Rules Conservation Area announcement… | 无道规则保护区的宣布 |
[31:19] | …originally scheduled for 12 p.m. has been moved to 3 p.m. | 原本排在中午 现已延到下午3点 |
[31:22] | C.J.? Agent Casper’s here. | 茜洁凯斯普探员在这里 |
[31:27] | – Agent…? – Hi. | 探员 嗨 |
[31:29] | What…? I’m sorry. I’m not sure this is a really good idea. | 什么很抱歉 我认为这样不太好 |
[31:33] | The entire fourth estate is camped outside. | 整个新闻界都在外面 |
[31:35] | Seriously, I’m gonna have to kick you out. | 说真的我得把你踢出去 |
[31:37] | The president, the attorney general and the director asked me to stop by… | 总统、司法部长和局长 要我过来见你 |
[31:41] | …so I wouldn’t say that’s a good idea. | 所以我不会说这样很好 |
[31:43] | You were in the Oval. | 你本来在椭圆形办公室 |
[31:45] | Just left. It’s okay. | 刚刚离开没关系 |
[31:47] | And first off, I wanted to… | 我想要… |
[31:49] | On behalf of the director, I want to apologize. | 代表局长道歉 |
[31:52] | The media rep on Shaw screwed up. | 萧岛的媒体代表搞砸了 |
[31:56] | Never should have issued a statement without telling you. | 千万不可不通知你就发布声明 |
[31:59] | Appreciate him not doing it while I’m on the air. | 很感谢他没有在我广播时发布 |
[32:01] | Agreed. Bad move. Won’t happen again. | 同意一步错棋 不会再发生了 |
[32:04] | What makes you say that? | 你怎么知道? |
[32:06] | That I’m not gonna answer until you close that. | 在你关门之前我不会说 |
[32:09] | – Want the cameras off? – Yes, please. | 想要摄影机关机? 是的请 |
[32:11] | Okay. | 好的 |
[32:14] | When we return, an explosion on Shaw Island… | 我们回来后将继续报导… |
[32:17] | … threatens the worst for the Bartlet administration. | 严重威胁巴特勒政府的 萧岛爆发事件 |
[32:20] | – No comment. – No comment. | 不予置评 不予置评 |
[32:23] | – Want the cameras off? – Yes, please. | 想要摄影机关机? 是的拜托 |
[32:25] | Okay. | 好的 |
[32:28] | C.J. Cregg’s closed door was a vivid reminder to the press corps… | 茜洁葛瑞关上的门提醒媒体 |
[32:32] | … that the press secretary was in control of their feeding time. | 新闻秘书控制他们何时获知 |
[32:36] | Their hunger for updated information was only intensified… | 他们对于新消息的饥渴 |
[32:39] | … by the continued lull in action on Shaw Island. | 因为萧岛持续的暂时平息而强化 |
[32:41] | It’s a clear breach of policy… | 显然是违反政策 |
[32:43] | He doesn’t have the bullet, or that the FBI confiscated the bullet? | 他没有子弹 还是调查局没收了子弹? |
[32:47] | Carol. We know Agent Casper’s in there. Is she being briefed? | 卡萝我们知道凯斯普探员在此 她有获得简报吗? |
[32:50] | It’s like a debate team. You don’t argue for the other side. | 就像在辩论团队上 你不会为敌方辩论 |
[32:54] | There’s an inherent aspect of spin that’s just human nature. | 人性总有想诠释的一面 |
[32:57] | You try to strengthen and clarify your point of view. | 你设法强化及阐明自己的观点 |
[33:01] | If you choose not to advertise your vulnerabilities, is that a cover-up? | 如果选择不显露自己的脆弱 那就是掩饰吗? |
[33:05] | You know what? Could you make sure people don’t walk in and out of here? | 你能确保没有人在此走来走去? |
[33:08] | I’m sorry about that. I just spoke with Eric. | 很抱歉我刚和艾立克谈过 |
[33:11] | And don’t ever let the press have free rein back here. | 不要让媒体跑到这里来 |
[33:14] | This answer is too long-winded for you to use… | 这个答案太长了不好用但是… |
[33:16] | …but I think my job is public, and yet for all its visibility, it’s not. | 我的工作是大家都看得到的 虽然显眼但是不算公开 |
[33:22] | There’s a misconception that I’m here to stymie reporters or to mislead the public. | 有人误解我要阻碍记者 或误导大众 |
[33:27] | To spin or even hide the truth. | 编造谎言或隐藏真相 |
[33:30] | Better way to put it: I’m here to articulate the president’s message… | 更好的说法是 我清楚传达总统的讯息 |
[33:34] | …and to honestly inform the press, and through them, the public… | 诚实通报媒体 透过他们向大众报告 |
[33:37] | …about what is happening on any given day. | 每一天的新闻 |
[33:41] | – surrounded a cabin located deep in the woods on Shaw Island… | 包围萧岛森林中的一间小屋 |
[33:45] | … a remote location off the Washington state coast. | 位于华盛顿州沿岸的偏远地点 |
[33:48] | What we know is that there was an initial exchange of gunfire… | 我们知道一开始有枪战 |
[33:51] | You waiting for something? | 你在等什么吗? |
[33:53] | – whose last name we only have as Othman. | 我们只知道姓欧斯曼 |
[33:56] | You wanted to see my day, this is my day. | 你想看我的一天这就是了 |
[34:00] | The extent of those injuries is yet to be determined. | 伤势轻重尚不清楚 |
[34:03] | I just got a call from Jill at the Times… | 我刚接到《时代杂志》的吉儿来电 |
[34:05] | …and she told me that you went on the record with her. | 她说你给她正式的消息 |
[34:09] | I didn’t go on the record with her about anything. | 我才没有 |
[34:11] | I was rescheduling an appointment for C. J… | 我是为茜洁重新安排 |
[34:14] | That is not your job. Your job is “no comment.” | 那不是你的工作 你的工作是〝不予置评〞 |
[34:17] | – I have to talk to you. – Okay? | 我要跟你谈谈 好的 |
[34:19] | – Understood, I’ll take care of it. – All right. What’s up? | 了解我会处理 好了怎么样? |
[34:23] | Research has it that Mrs. Othman isn’t Yemeni-American. | 调查显示欧斯曼太太 不是叶门裔美国人 |
[34:27] | She’s the daughter of a schoolteacher and an auto worker. | 她的父母是小学老师和汽车工人 |
[34:31] | Born in Detroit. | 在底特律出生 |
[34:33] | – Has it gotten out yet? – No. Not yet. | 传出没? 还没 |
[34:35] | I want you to stay on it. And be discreet. | 我要你盯好而且要谨慎 |
[34:38] | – Hey, hey, they’re moving! – an emergency vehicle on the scene. | 他们有动作! 现场出现一辆紧急车辆 |
[34:41] | Yes, okay, now it appears we have the ambulance doors opening. | 看起来救护车门打开了 |
[34:44] | – Carol! – And they are… | 卡萝 他们正把… |
[34:46] | We have a stretcher rolling out of the ambulance. | 担架从救护车抬出来 |
[34:49] | I see two EMTs. They’ve removed a stretcher… | 我看到两位急救专家 他们抬着担架… |
[34:51] | … and they are heading in the direction of the cabin. | 朝着小屋的方向前进 |
[34:54] | As a reminder, the new SOP does specify that snipers are not to fire… | 标准作业程序指明 儿童可能受伤时 |
[34:59] | …when children are in harm ‘s way. – Yes, I can see the EMTs approaching. | 狙击兵不可开枪 我看到急救专家接近 |
[35:02] | They don ‘t appear to be going all the way… Oh, the door’s opening. | 他们似乎没有走到底 门打开了 |
[35:06] | The door of the cabin is? | 小屋的门吗? |
[35:09] | Okay, we have an explosion, or a flash of some kind near the cabin. | 小屋附近发生爆炸或某种火光 |
[35:12] | We do have gunfire coming from the direction of the cabin. | 确实看到枪火从小屋方向发出 |
[35:15] | What are you seeing now? | 你现在看到什么? |
[35:17] | Get me 10 minutes in the Oval Office. Call over there now. | 给我椭圆形办公室十分钟 |
[35:20] | I can no longer see the EMTs or the children. | 我看不到急救专家或儿童了 |
[35:23] | – There’s… Someone may be down. – Gunshots are continuing. | 有人可能倒下了 枪击持续 |
[35:26] | We see agents now on the move. | 我们看到探员采取行动 |
[35:28] | I see five, six members of SWA T storming towards the cabin. | 五、六个霹雳小组特警朝小屋跑去 |
[35:32] | Andrew! Andrew! | 安德鲁 |
[35:35] | – lost sight of the children as they came out of the cabin. They may be down. | 儿童走出小屋后失去踪迹 他们可能倒下了 |
[35:41] | We do have more gunfire coming from the direction of the cabin… | 我们确实看到从小屋方向 |
[35:44] | … and from the surrounding woods. | 以及附近的森林持续有枪击 |
[35:46] | Come with me. | 跟我来 |
[35:51] | – C.J. – No comment. | 茜洁 不予置评 |
[36:06] | This is Charlie. | 我是查理 |
[36:08] | Okay. Thanks. | 好的谢谢 |
[36:11] | Reschedule the announcement for tomorrow. You’ve got the NEC waiting. | 重新安排明天做宣布 已让全国经济委员会等了 |
[36:14] | No, I’ll stick my head in. | 不我会去了解的 |
[36:16] | I’ll get on your schedule in the morning for a final prep for questions. | 我会安排你在早上 对问题做最后准备 |
[36:20] | I think we can guess what those questions are. | 我们猜得出是哪些问题 |
[36:22] | Yes, sir. | 是的长官 |
[36:24] | – In the Mural Room. – Here they are. | 在壁画室 他们来了 |
[36:26] | Are these our young, wayward adventurers? | 是这些年轻任性的冒险家吗? |
[36:28] | – The Eagle Rangers. – Welcome to the White House, fellas. | 老鹰童子军 欢迎来到白宫 |
[36:31] | Hi. Come on in. | 进来 |
[36:32] | How you doing? | 你们好 |
[36:34] | It’s good to see you. Good. Good. | 很高兴看到你们 |
[36:36] | I’ll have a word with you later. | 等下有话跟你说 |
[36:38] | – So who among you… – We’re in here. | 你们之中… 我们在这里 |
[36:41] | …objects to staying another night at the Marriott? | 有人反对在美丽华旅馆过夜吗? |
[36:44] | While airwaves were filled with conflicting reports… | 虽然有关萧岛的情况 |
[36:46] | … of what happened on Shaw Island… | 充满了互相冲突的报导 |
[36:48] | … the Bartlet administration dropped away from the breaking news… | 巴特勒政府还是放下这个消息 |
[36:52] | … and resumed its day. Was there contention within the administration? | 回复一天的作息 政府内有争论吗? |
[36:55] | Would further departures from standard procedure be revealed? | 日后会显示更多 脱离标准程序的作法吗? |
[36:59] | From inside the West Wing, we could only speculate… | 在西厢内 我们也只能和全国其他人一样 |
[37:01] | … with the rest of the country. | 在一旁臆测 |
[37:03] | – Really? – That’s right, sir. | 真的? 没错长官 |
[37:05] | – Thank you, fellas. – See you at 10 a.m. in the Rose Garden. | 谢谢各位 早上10点在玫瑰园见 |
[37:08] | Have a good night. Yes, sir. | 晚安长官 |
[37:11] | – You holding up? – Oh, yes, sir. | 你还好吗? 还好 |
[37:14] | Yes. I guess there’s an inherent tension there, I won’t deny it. | 我想是有既有的张力 我不会否认 |
[37:18] | Conventional wisdom says you can’t serve two masters. I do. | 智者有言: 一人不能事两主我可以 |
[37:21] | – But your first is…? – Or, I tell myself I do. | 可是你的第一个是… 我告诉自己我有 |
[37:24] | Some of you are up against evening-news deadlines… | 我们得试着快点 有些人得赶晚间头条新闻期限 |
[37:27] | …so we’d like to bring Agent Mike Casper to the podium. | 所以我们请到凯斯普探员来到讲台 |
[37:31] | He’ll have a statement and then take your questions. Mike. | 我们会先发表声明 然后接受提问 |
[37:37] | Approximately one hour ago, agents apprehended Jamal Othman… | 大约一小时前 探员逮捕杰莫欧斯曼 |
[37:40] | …who had been holed up with his family in a seven-hour standoff… | 他和家人在华盛顿州萧岛 |
[37:44] | …on Shaw Island in Washington state. | 展开了七小时的僵持 |
[37:46] | ATF officials recovered two cases of explosives… | 枪械弹药局官员找出两箱炸药 |
[37:48] | …which had been wired through the cabin. | 在小屋四周以电线联结 |
[37:50] | Othman was in control of their detonation. | 欧斯曼控制引爆 |
[37:52] | Mr. Othman received a gunshot wound to the left shoulder, condition is stable. | 欧斯曼的左肩有枪伤 但是情况稳定 |
[37:57] | The standoff was initiated when Othman opened fire this morning… | 这场僵持始于欧斯曼在今晨先开枪 |
[38:00] | …and released an attack dog on federal agents… | 并向企图逮捕他的联邦探员 |
[38:03] | …attempting to serve him with an arrest warrant. | 放出一只攻击犬 |
[38:06] | One agent sustained severe bites to the face and throat. | 一位探员的脸和喉咙遭到严重咬伤 |
[38:09] | His condition is critical at this time. | 目前伤势很严重 |
[38:11] | His name is being withheld until his family can be notified. | 在通知他的家人之前 我们暂时不公布姓名 |
[38:14] | The youngest Othman child also sustained injuries… | 欧斯曼最小的孩子 |
[38:17] | …in the initial exchange of gunfire. | 也在最初的枪战中受了伤 |
[38:19] | Hoda Othman, age 6, was struck by flying glass and went into shock. | 六岁的荷达欧斯曼 被飞落的玻璃击中而休克 |
[38:24] | She and the other five children, as well as Mrs. Othman… | 她和其他五名子女 以及欧斯曼太太 |
[38:27] | …have been safely evacuated. | 已经安全撤离 |
[38:29] | The daughter is in stable condition. I’ll take your questions now. | 女儿的情况稳定 现在接受发问 |
[38:33] | Agent Casper, what are the charges against Mr. Othman? | 对于欧斯曼的指控是什么? |
[38:36] | On the evening news on that March day three years ago… | 三年前三月的晚间新闻上 |
[38:39] | … speculations of impropriety were initially overtaken by relief… | 一开始不恰当的臆测 |
[38:43] | … at the positive outcome. | 因正面的结果而解除 |
[38:45] | In a stunning conclusion… | 在惊人的结论中 |
[38:46] | … the FBI Hostage Rescue and SWA T, using a flash-bang as a distraction… | 调查局人质救援与特警 在受伤儿童安全救出后 |
[38:51] | … stormed the cabin moments after an injured child was safely… | 利用闪光弹使人分心 |
[38:55] | – Okay, what do you got for me? – Call from the first lady’s office. | 你有什么消息? 第一夫人办公室来电 |
[38:58] | The Richard Tyler burgundy gown she wore was donated… | 她穿的深红色晚礼服 |
[39:01] | …to the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in January. | 一月时捐给大都会博物馆的服装研究院 |
[39:04] | – Did you…? – I faxed Chris a copy of the receipt. | 你有… 我把收据副本传给克里斯了 |
[39:07] | – Thank you. – The Vatican team was sorry… | 谢谢 梵蒂冈小组很抱歉不告而别 |
[39:09] | …they didn’t say goodbye and look forward to seeing you. | 希望日后再和你见面 |
[39:12] | – They didn’t seem put off? – I don’t think so. | 他们有没有不高兴? 我想没有 |
[39:15] | That Renato guy asked me out to dinner. | 那个瑞纳德约我吃晚饭 |
[39:17] | – You gotta go. – Oh, I don’t know. He seemed… | 你应该去 不晓得他看起来… |
[39:20] | “A guy I dated from the Vatican”? Can’t pass that up. | 〝跟梵蒂冈的人约会〞 怎么能错过? |
[39:22] | Within a few hours, the action in the West Wing’s corridors… | 在几小时内西厢走廊的活动 |
[39:26] | … slowed to a steady hum. | 已经回复正常 |
[39:29] | – Good night. – Good night, Jack. | 晚安 晚安杰克 |
[39:31] | Thank you for everything today. | 谢谢你今天做的一切 |
[39:33] | I’ll be working, so if you need anything, I’ll be here. | 我还没下班 如果有需要我在这里… |
[39:38] | – Okay. – Working. | 好的 工作 |
[39:39] | – Thanks, Andrew. I appreciate it. – Bye, Andrew. | 谢谢安德鲁 再见安德鲁 |
[39:42] | Is she a good boss? | 她是好上司吗? |
[39:45] | She’s the best boss, and I couldn’t have a better job. | 她是最好的上司 我也找不到更好的工作了 |
[39:50] | I really look at C.J. as my mentor. | 我真的把茜洁视为导师 |
[39:52] | They say that a mentor’s a wise and trusted guide or friend. | 人说导师是个睿智的向导或朋友 |
[39:55] | I would say that C.J. is all of those things. | 茜洁正是如此 |
[39:59] | It would be weeks before the charges against Mr. Othman… | 欧斯曼的指控要等到数周后 |
[40:02] | … would become public knowledge, but at the end of our day with C.J. Cregg… | 才会向大众公布 可是《门路》与茜洁共处一天后 |
[40:06] | …Access got a preview of what America would later learn. | 事先知道了消息 |
[40:09] | – Good day. – Not bad. | 很棒的一天 不坏 |
[40:12] | I counted six rounds you went with the rope-a-dope in that briefing. | 我数了六次你在简报时晃人过招 |
[40:15] | I’m starting to take pride in it. | 我感到自豪 |
[40:18] | That sounds sick. | 听起来很恶 |
[40:21] | Is there anything I should know for tomorrow? | 明天有什么事我该知道的? |
[40:23] | The director wants to wait until he’s sure it’s a clean sweep… | 局长希望等到全胜后 |
[40:26] | …before announcing all the charges. – That makes sense. | 再宣布所有指控 有道理 |
[40:29] | The confiscated blueprints are the most damning evidence, of course… | 没收的蓝图是最大的证据 |
[40:33] | …but Othman’s contacts with the Bahji network already netted a dozen arrests. | 可是欧斯曼与巴基网的接触 已足以提出十二项指控 |
[40:37] | Wow, this is… This was big for the FBI. | 这对调查局是件大事 |
[40:40] | It was big for all of us. | 对我们都是 |
[40:42] | Big enough to put Casey Creek in the past? | 够把凯西溪事件抛在身后? |
[40:47] | We’ll see. | 我们等着瞧 |
[40:51] | The next day, most of the media coverage… | 次日大部分的媒体报导 |
[40:54] | … mentioned the administration ‘s previous debacle at Casey Creek. | 都提到政府先前在 凯西溪的惨败 |
[40:58] | Over the next nine months, 100 charges were handed down… | 接下来九个月 关于欧斯曼同谋的几十次逮捕中 |
[41:00] | … in dozens of arrests connected to the Othman conspiracy. | 一共发布了100项指控 |
[41:04] | In the end, 11 domestic terrorists were sentenced… | 最后有十一个国内恐怖份子 |
[41:07] | … and convicted in federal courts. | 在联邦法庭被判刑及定罪 |
[41:09] | Last July, Jamal Othman died of complications from kidney failure… | 杰莫欧斯曼因为共谋实行恐怖主义 |
[41:13] | … in federal prison, where he was serving a life sentence… | 在联邦监狱服无期徒刑 |
[41:16] | … for conspiracy to commit terrorism. | 去年七月死于肾衰竭 |
[41:20] | Stop. | 停 |
[41:22] | Sometimes you have to just let yourself get beaten up. | 有时候你得让自己被痛打一顿 |
[41:25] | But sometimes it’s better to be beaten up for 24 hours… | 但是有时候被痛打24小时 |
[41:28] | …than beaten up for the long run. | 会比长期被痛打更好 |
[41:30] | Although the long run’s something I have no sense of. | 虽然我不知道什么叫长期 |
[41:33] | When I go home at night, I’m thinking about the next day’s schedule. | 晚上回家时 我会想着次日的行程 |
[41:39] | Rain? That’s what they said for today. | 下雨?他们说今天会下雨的 |
[41:42] | Keep it in the Rose Garden for now. | 还是维持在玫瑰园 |
[41:45] | Director Arnold continues to elicit controversy as head of the FBI… | 阿诺身为调查局局长 仍旧备受争议 |
[41:49] | … and C.J. Cregg, who allowed us to share a day with her in the West Wing… | 茜洁葛瑞让我们分享 她在西厢的一天 |
[41:53] | … remains the only woman to have served two terms… | 她则是连任两届 |
[41:56] | … as the White House press secretary. | 白宫新闻秘书的唯一女性 |