时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Time’s running out. | 时间不多了 |
[00:06] | Ray Allen for three at the buzzer. | 雷·阿伦在最后一刻投进一个三分球 |
[00:07] | Yes! | 好球 |
[00:08] | Heat win by two. | 热火[NBA球队]以两分之差险胜 |
[00:10] | Carmelo with a running hook! | 卡梅隆[NBA球员]跑动中勾手投篮 |
[00:20] | You’re forgetting. | 你记错了 |
[00:21] | I hit the Red Sox on Wednesday. | 我周三押中了红袜队 |
[00:23] | Plus, I nailed that three-team parlay | 还有我周五连本带利押中了 |
[00:25] | [皆为美国大联盟球队] | |
[00:25] | of the As, Jays and the Reds on Friday, right? | 运动家队 蓝鸟队和红人队 对吧 |
[00:30] | Which would put my new total at… | 也就是说我现在的本金有 |
[00:34] | See, that is a very nice number, Zeke. | 多好的数字啊 奇客 |
[00:37] | All right, give me the Mets tonight, two times. | 好了 今晚双倍压大都会队 |
[00:39] | Okay. | 好的 |
[00:40] | Bye. | 再见 |
[00:42] | That was my bank. | 银行打来的电话 |
[00:43] | Your bank’s not like my bank. | 咱俩的银行还真不一样 |
[00:45] | Oh, you have no idea. | 太不一样了 |
[00:47] | So what do we got? | 什么情况 |
[00:48] | Old guy took a noser from the 12th floor. | 一个老头从十二楼堕下 |
[00:51] | Eliot has us out here | 艾略特把我们全派来 |
[00:52] | because he’s some big-shot doctor | 因为这人是阿尔贡金大学 |
[00:53] | on the faculty at Algonquian. | 一位赫赫有名的博士 |
[00:55] | What’s his name? | 他叫什么 |
[00:56] | Uh, hold on. | 等一下 |
[00:58] | Lustig. Eugene Lustig. | 卢斯蒂格 全名是尤金·卢斯蒂格 |
[01:01] | So while we will always gaze ahead with wonder | 我们一直满怀好奇展望着 |
[01:04] | at the great uncharted terrain of the future, | 未来那未知的世界 |
[01:07] | I believe it will soon be possible, | 我相信通过解开记忆的秘密 |
[01:10] | by unlocking the secrets of memory, | 我们很快就将能够 |
[01:12] | to turn our gaze behind us | 回首往事 |
[01:15] | and bathe in new sunlight | 重温过去的阳光 |
[01:18] | the hidden landscapes of our past. | 领略记忆深处的绝美风景 |
[01:21] | Thank you. | 谢谢大家 |
[01:26] | I’m so sorry, folks, | 抱歉了 大伙 |
[01:27] | Dr. Lustig has another engagement. | 卢斯蒂格博士还要参加其他活动 |
[01:28] | Thank you so much for coming. | 谢谢大家前来 |
[01:29] | Bye-bye. Take care. Thanks. | 再见 保重 谢谢 |
[01:31] | Dr. Lustig. | 卢斯蒂格博士 |
[01:32] | I’m sorry, Dr. Lustig has a plane to catch. | 抱歉 卢斯蒂格博士还要赶飞机 |
[01:34] | Dr. Lustig, I just need to talk to you for one minute. | 卢斯蒂格博士 我就耽误你一会 |
[01:36] | Thank you for your kind words, Chancellor. | 谢谢您的赞美 校长 |
[01:38] | It’s great to be back at my Alma Mater | 很高兴能在这么好的日子 |
[01:40] | under such a bluebird sky. | 回到我的母校 |
[01:43] | 30 years ago, | 三十年前 |
[01:44] | when the late Professor Ed Hartung introduced me | 已故的艾德·哈堂教授带我走进了 |
[01:47] | to the mysteries of the human memory… | 人类记忆的神秘殿堂 |
[01:48] | This is the speech I gave at Cornell last week. | 这是我上周在康奈尔大学的演讲 |
[01:50] | It hasn’t been published yet. | 还没有发表 |
[01:53] | Did someone give you a copy? | 你拿到复印件了吗 |
[01:55] | No. | 不是 |
[01:58] | I think I’ll, uh, catch a later flight. | 我想我可以改搭下一班飞机 |
[02:11] | Jo? | 乔 |
[02:14] | I saw him speak at the Y. | 我听过他在杨百翰大学的演讲 |
[02:16] | He was very impressive. | 令人印象深刻 |
[02:18] | Yes, he was. | 是啊 |
[02:20] | Came down 12 stories. | 从十二楼坠下 |
[02:22] | Pushed, jumped | 是被人推 自己跳下 |
[02:23] | or fell– that is the question. | 还是失足跌落 这是个问题 |
[02:25] | In my opinion, | 就我看来 |
[02:26] | his injuries are consistent with a high fall, | 他的伤口是由高空坠落造成 |
[02:29] | but anything else, | 至于其他的 |
[02:30] | tomorrow will tell. | 明天再告诉你 |
[02:35] | Did they, um… did they see anything? | 他们 他们看到什么了吗 |
[02:38] | The landing, not the dismount. | 只看到落地瞬间 之前的没看到 |
[02:41] | Al, I-I knew him. | 艾尔 我认识他 |
[02:44] | It was 2004. | 那是2004年 |
[02:46] | Year and a half after… | 在我退出警队 |
[02:48] | I quit the force. | 跟你分手 |
[02:51] | Quit you. | 一年半之后 |
[02:52] | I was a wreck. I mean, every, uh… | 我当时一团糟 所有 |
[02:55] | every bad thing that had ever happened to me, | 在我身上发生的所有坏事 |
[02:57] | every mistake I had ever made | 我犯下的所有错误 |
[02:59] | was running in my head on a loop. | 不断在我脑中循环上演 |
[03:02] | Like a swarm of bees. | 就好像一大堆蜜蜂 |
[03:06] | And then I heard about | 然后我听说了 |
[03:07] | this neurologist, Eugene Lustig, and… | 这位名叫尤金·卢斯蒂格的神经学家 |
[03:12] | so I tracked him down. | 就去找他了 |
[03:14] | I figured, you know, why not… | 我心想 不如 |
[03:16] | donate my body to science before I was dead? | 在死前把身体捐给科研事业 |
[03:20] | Maybe in the process, I wouldn’t crack up. | 也许在这过程中 我不会崩溃 |
[03:23] | Then I-I joined a research group, | 然后我就和另外五个人 |
[03:27] | with five other people. | 参加了一个研究小组 |
[03:28] | The first of what became known as | 这是头一次对 |
[03:30] | Highly Superior Autobiographical Memory. | 所谓的超自传体记忆进行研究 |
[03:33] | HSAM. | 简称超忆症 |
[03:35] | Were you still in touch with him? | 你跟他还有联系吗 |
[03:36] | No, not for years. It’s… | 很多年没联系了 |
[03:41] | Gene Lustig is the reason I didn’t crack up. | 全靠金·卢斯蒂格我才没有崩溃 |
[03:50] | Not exactly lived-in. | 这个家也太不温馨了 |
[03:53] | You’d expect a few books at least. | 至少该放几本书吧 |
[03:56] | Know if he was married? | 他结婚了吗 |
[03:57] | He was. | 结过 |
[03:58] | Getting divorced, actually. | 正在办离婚 |
[04:00] | I just talked to the neighbor. | 我刚问过邻居 |
[04:01] | She said Lustig moved in a month ago | 她说卢斯蒂格一个月前 |
[04:03] | after breaking up with his wife. | 跟妻子分居后搬进这里 |
[04:04] | Neighbor know him well? | 邻居跟他很熟吗 |
[04:05] | It occurred to me, but she says no. | 我问了 她说不熟 |
[04:08] | But she did say Lustig was having | 但她说卢斯蒂格 |
[04:09] | a bunch of health problems, | 身体不好 |
[04:10] | was down in the dumps lately. | 最近整天垂头丧气的 |
[04:11] | And judging by how clean this place is– | 再看这地方这么干净 |
[04:13] | no sign of struggle or forced entry– | 又没有打斗或强行进入的迹象 |
[04:16] | kind of makes you wonder. | 很让人怀疑 |
[04:17] | What are you saying? Suicide? | 你什么意思 他是自杀的吗 |
[04:22] | You find a suicide note? | 有找到遗书吗 |
[04:24] | Any kind of drugs for depression? | 有发现抗抑郁药吗 |
[04:26] | No, but, you know, still doesn’t mean… | 没有 但也不代表 |
[04:27] | Then I’m not buying it. | 那我就不信他是自杀 |
[04:33] | Railing’s too high. | 栏杆太高了 |
[04:34] | We can cross off “accident”. | 可以排除意外的可能 |
[04:43] | Came down 12 stories. | 从十二楼坠下 |
[04:45] | Pushed, jumped or fell… | 是被人推 自己跳下还是失足跌落 |
[04:47] | There was a geranium right there. | 这里原来有株天竺葵 |
[04:49] | There was a plant. | 确实有株植物 |
[04:50] | How you got geranium, I don’t know. | 你怎么知道是天竺葵的 |
[04:51] | Because I saw it down below. | 因为我在楼下看到了 |
[04:53] | Bits of clay, dirt… | 有瓦盆碎片 泥土 |
[04:59] | Gene’s attacker… | 攻击金的人 |
[05:02] | rushes him and throws him over, | 把他逼到栏杆边 然后推他下楼 |
[05:05] | but Gene grabs on to the railing. | 但金抓住了栏杆 |
[05:07] | So in order to break his grip, | 凶手为了让他掉下去 |
[05:08] | the attacker picks up the first thing he can find, | 就操起触手可得的东西 |
[05:10] | and… smash. | 然后 砸下去 |
[05:13] | The flower pot goes over, too. | 花盆也掉下去了 |
[05:15] | We don’t know the flower pot is connected to this, | 我们无法确定花盆是否和此案有关 |
[05:17] | we don’t know how many people were involved, | 也不清楚有多少人涉及此案 |
[05:18] | we don’t know for sure he didn’t jump. | 而且还不确定他是不是自杀 |
[05:21] | We’ll get Webster on it, | 让韦伯斯特去查 |
[05:22] | and CSU will take a look at the clay fragments. | 犯罪现场小组会检查花盆碎片 |
[05:24] | I knew Gene Lustig. | 我很了解金·卢斯蒂格 |
[05:26] | He was one of the most positive, vibrant people | 他是我见过的最积极向上 |
[05:28] | I have ever met. | 充满活力的人 |
[05:29] | He gave me hope when I had none, | 在我绝望时是他给了我希望 |
[05:31] | and that’s not easy to do. | 那不是件容易的事 |
[05:33] | He didn’t commit suicide. | 他没有自杀 |
[05:55] | Three fingers are broken, | 三根手指骨折 |
[05:56] | each between the first and second knuckle. | 都在第一和第二指关节之间 |
[05:59] | Also… | 而且 |
[06:02] | I found topsoil in his scalp and under his shirt collar. | 我在他的头皮上和衣领下发现了土 |
[06:06] | Absent your flower pot theory, I came up with nothing. | 除了你的花盆理论 我想不到别的了 |
[06:09] | His neighbor said he had some kind of health problems. | 他的邻居说他身体不太好 |
[06:12] | Did you find anything? | 你有什么发现吗 |
[06:13] | Jumped right out at me. | 显而易见 |
[06:16] | He had cancer. | 他有癌症 |
[06:17] | Cancer? | 癌症 |
[06:19] | See those little white dots? | 看到那些小白点了吗 |
[06:20] | Radioactive tubes. | 放射性导管 |
[06:22] | Brachytherapy. | 短距放射疗法 |
[06:23] | Prostate cancer. | 前列腺癌 |
[06:24] | Exactly. Treated early, | 没错 及早治疗的话 |
[06:26] | the success rate is… | 熬过十五年后 |
[06:28] | 95% after 15 years. | 存活率是95% |
[06:30] | So then that would not be a reason | 所以这不应该是 |
[06:33] | for him to jump off a balcony. | 他从阳台跳下来的理由 |
[06:35] | Right. | 对 |
[06:36] | Oh, Carrie, I’m so sorry. | 凯莉 我很抱歉 |
[06:37] | Al told me you knew him. | 艾尔告诉我你认识他 |
[06:40] | Were you his student? | 你是他的学生吗 |
[06:42] | More like his object of study. | 应该说是他的研究对象 |
[06:44] | I can’t imagine you being a lab rat. | 真想不到你还做过小白鼠 |
[06:47] | I was difficult. | 我那时过得不好 |
[06:48] | I tried to chew through the bars on my cage. | 我曾经试图把笼子咬坏 |
[06:51] | Look, I know I’m not the detective on this, | 我知道自己不是负责这案子的探员 |
[06:53] | but I’m with you. | 但我站在你这边 |
[06:55] | Your friend had help going over that balcony. | 你的朋友不是自己翻过阳台的 |
[06:59] | Carrie! | 凯莉 |
[07:01] | Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you. | 抱歉 我不是故意吓你的 |
[07:02] | That’s okay. | 没关系 |
[07:04] | May I call you Carrie? | 我能叫你凯莉吗 |
[07:05] | Yeah, sure, sure. | 可以 当然 |
[07:06] | Great. Come on. | 太好了 来吧 |
[07:08] | I want to tell you all about | 我想给你讲讲 |
[07:09] | – this little study I’ve dreamed up. – Okay. | -我想出的这个研究 -好的 |
[07:11] | No needles, no electrodes, I assure you. | 不用针头 不用电极 我向你保证 |
[07:14] | Oh, well, that’s… that’s a relief. | 那可真让人轻松许多 |
[07:15] | Just simple questions to gauge | 只是通过简单的问答来评估 |
[07:18] | the capacity of your marvelous mind. | 你那非凡记忆力的容量 |
[07:20] | I don’t know about “marvelous”. | 我不觉得它有多非凡 |
[07:23] | Save the modesty for Terry Gross. | 不用太谦虚[美国电视制作人] |
[07:25] | This is science. | 这是科学 |
[07:26] | Next week, I want to have you meet the others. | 下周我想让你去见见其他人 |
[07:29] | Others? | 其他人 |
[07:31] | Yeah, the other study subjects. | 对 其他研究对象 |
[07:34] | Oh, did you think you were alone? | 你觉得只有你一个人是这样吗 |
[07:46] | It’s okay. | 没关系的 |
[07:47] | You can go. | 你可以走了 |
[07:48] | I’ll take good care of him. | 我会好好照顾他的 |
[07:50] | Thanks, Jo. | 多谢了 乔 |
[07:56] | Nothing on the surveillance video from Lustig’s building. | 卢斯蒂格住处的监控视频里没发现什么线索 |
[07:59] | The camera in the lobby shows him entering alone. | 大厅的摄像头显示他是独自进来的 |
[08:01] | No cameras at all in the basement or garage. | 地下室和车库根本没装摄像头 |
[08:03] | Any prints off the flower pot? | 花盆上提取到指纹了吗 |
[08:05] | CSU has to reassemble it first. | 犯罪现场小组得先把它拼起来 |
[08:07] | We’re talking pellets. | 都摔成碎屑了 |
[08:08] | I wouldn’t hold your breath. | 我不想吊你们胃口 |
[08:10] | Well, it looks like the ex-wife’s clean. | 看起来他的前妻是清白的 |
[08:12] | Friends say the divorce was amicable, | 他们的朋友说他们是和平分手 |
[08:14] | and she’s been in Europe for five weeks. | 而且她已经在欧洲待了五周 |
[08:16] | So she’s out of the picture. | 那她就洗脱嫌疑了 |
[08:17] | But I wouldn’t come to you without something. | 但我不会空手来找你们 |
[08:18] | Been digging around at the university. | 在大学里做了些深入调查 |
[08:22] | Meet Alwyn Pierce. | 认识一下埃尔文·皮尔斯 |
[08:24] | Assistant Professor of Neurology at Algonquian. | 阿尔贡金大学的神经学助理教授 |
[08:26] | Former graduate student of our Dr. Lustig. | 曾是卢斯蒂格博士的研究生 |
[08:28] | Something of a prodigy. | 是个天才 |
[08:30] | Lustig had high hopes for this lady. | 卢斯蒂格对这位女士寄予很高的希望 |
[08:32] | Apparently she had high hopes, too, | 很明显她对自己也报有很高的希望 |
[08:33] | but they never panned out. | 但没能成功 |
[08:34] | According to some of the faculty members I spoke to, | 据我问过的一些教职工说 |
[08:36] | she was pretty difficult. | 她过得很艰难 |
[08:37] | Just last month, she was denied tenure. | 就在上个月 她申请终身教授被拒了 |
[08:40] | How’d she take it? | 她什么反应 |
[08:41] | Not good. | 不太好 |
[08:42] | It all blew up at a faculty meeting a week ago. | 一周前的教工会议上她爆发了 |
[08:44] | She accused Lustig of rigging the vote. | 她指控卢斯蒂格操纵投票 |
[08:46] | – Did she? – She did. | -她真这么想 -真的 |
[08:47] | And according to folks at that meeting, she really went off. | 据在场的人说 她发了很大的火 |
[08:50] | They had to call campus security. | 他们不得不把保安叫来 |
[08:56] | Alwyn? | 埃尔文 |
[08:57] | Alwyn Pierce? | 埃尔文·皮尔斯 |
[09:00] | – Carrie Wells. – Yeah, we met years ago, | -凯莉·威尔斯 -我们几年前见过 |
[09:02] | in Gene’s first HSAM study. | 在金的首个超忆症研究中 |
[09:04] | Yes, I know. I remember. | 对 我知道 我记得你 |
[09:06] | Lieutenant Al Burns. | 我是艾尔·彭斯队长 |
[09:08] | Of course. | 原来如此 |
[09:09] | You’re here because of Gene. | 你们是为金而来 |
[09:11] | You guys worked together for a long time. | 你们共事了很长时间 |
[09:12] | This must be hard for you. | 他的死一定让你很难过 |
[09:14] | It is. | 是的 |
[09:16] | Though we understand | 但我们查出 |
[09:16] | you two had your differences lately. | 你们俩最近有些分歧 |
[09:19] | Perhaps, but professional squabbles | 也许吧 但专业上的分歧 |
[09:21] | seem irrelevant at times like these. | 跟此事无关 |
[09:24] | As opposed to a week ago, | 但一周前可不是这样 |
[09:25] | when professional squabbles | 你们的专业分歧 |
[09:26] | led to you being escorted from a faculty meeting | 导致你在教工会议上 |
[09:29] | by four security guards. | 被四个保安押走 |
[09:31] | I worked with Gene for ten years. | 我和金共事了十年 |
[09:34] | And I felt I earned his support. | 我以为已得到了他的支持 |
[09:36] | Instead, he blackballed me. | 然而他却投票反对我 |
[09:37] | So draw your own conclusions about our “differences”. | 你们自己理解一下我们的分歧是什么吧 |
[09:40] | Why would he blackball you? | 他为什么要投票反对你 |
[09:41] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[09:43] | If he were alive, you could ask him yourself. | 如果他活着 你们可以自己问他 |
[09:45] | You know, we don’t need to ask him. | 我们不需要问他 |
[09:47] | According to a transcript from the tenure committee, | 根据终身职位委员会的会议记录 |
[09:50] | Gene thought your work displayed– | 金认为你的工作表现是 |
[09:51] | and I don’t think I’m getting this wrong– | 如果我没记错的话 |
[09:54] | “A shoddy methodology | “近乎欺诈的 |
[09:55] | bordering on fraudulent”. | 以次充好的方法” |
[09:57] | Now, that… that had to hurt. | 那可真是不好听 |
[09:59] | That was a joke. | 那就是个笑话 |
[10:01] | Especially since his work | 尤其是当他的工作 |
[10:02] | was sloppy and mediocre. | 草率而平庸的时候 |
[10:04] | I was a part of Gene’s work. | 我参与过金的工作 |
[10:05] | There was nothing mediocre or sloppy about it. | 那可一点都不草率和平庸 |
[10:09] | Where you were between the hours of 6:00 and 7:00 this morning? | 今早六点到七点你在哪 |
[10:11] | Wait a minute. | 等一下 |
[10:13] | I got denied tenure, | 没能拿到终身教职 |
[10:14] | and I blame Eugene Lustig, | 我确实归咎于尤金·卢斯蒂格 |
[10:16] | but I sure as hell didn’t kill him. | 但我肯定没杀他 |
[10:17] | You sure as hell didn’t answer my question. | 你也肯定没有回答我的问题 |
[10:20] | I was asleep, in my bed, by myself. | 我在睡觉 在我的床上 一个人 |
[10:23] | You need proof, talk to my cat. | 你要证据的话 去问我的猫说吧 |
[10:25] | Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a class to teach. | 现在恕我失陪 我要去讲课了 |
[10:30] | She make any physical threats? | 她做出过什么人身威胁吗 |
[10:32] | “I’ll ruin your life.” | “我会毁了你的生活” |
[10:33] | “You’ll regret what you’ve done.” | “你会为所做的事感到后悔” |
[10:34] | “You’ll be sorry.” that sort of thing. | “你会悔不当初的” 类似这种话 |
[10:35] | Sounds like my daily staff meeting at the mayor’s office. | 听起来像是市长办公室内部会议上常听到的话 |
[10:38] | Anything else? | 还有别的吗 |
[10:38] | Well, we’re trying to find something more concrete, | 我们正在设法找到更有力的证据 |
[10:40] | see if we can work up a warrant to search her place. | 看能否取得一张搜查令去查查她的住所 |
[10:42] | Please, Burns, with all deliberate speed? | 拜托 彭斯 现在你还这么从容不迫 |
[10:45] | Algonquian University pumps $9 billion | 阿尔贡金大学每年为这座城市 |
[10:47] | into this city’s economy every year. | 吸引来九十亿的投资 |
[10:49] | I know, I thought it was a typo, too. It’s not. | 我也以为那数字是拼写错误 可它不是 |
[10:51] | Having this on the front page of The Times | 这要是上了《时代周刊》的头版 |
[10:53] | irritates the mayor, who then irritates me. | 惹恼了市长 市长不会饶了我的 |
[10:55] | That’s a lot of irritation. | 恼人事还真不少 |
[10:57] | You need more on this woman, | 你需要更多这个女人的证据 |
[10:58] | and you’re not gonna find it here. | 这里可找不到答案 |
[10:59] | Would it help to know that she’s a thief? | 知道她是个小偷会有帮助吗 |
[11:02] | Check this out. | 来看看这个 |
[11:03] | I followed up with campus security. | 我对大学保安做了后续调查 |
[11:05] | Got them to give me all the Neuro Lab surveillance footage | 他们给了我自埃尔文离开教工会议后 |
[11:06] | since that faculty meeting where Alwyn went off. | 神经实验室所有的监控录像 |
[11:09] | 2:30 A.M., one day after the tenure meeting. | 任职会议一天后 凌晨两点半 |
[11:12] | Alwyn enters the lab, | 埃尔文进入实验室 |
[11:13] | and she heads for a cabinet by Lustig’s desk. | 走向卢斯蒂格桌旁的橱柜 |
[11:16] | She opens the cabinet. | 打开橱柜 |
[11:20] | Right there. That box. | 就在那 那个箱子 |
[11:22] | Security say she was authorized to be there? | 保安说她有进实验室的许可吗 |
[11:24] | Definitely not. | 当然没有 |
[11:26] | That’s trespassing. | 是非法进入 |
[11:28] | Forget the search warrant. | 别管搜查令了 |
[11:29] | – Go pick her up. – Right. | -去把她抓起来 -好的 |
[11:37] | Alwyn Pierce, I repeat, | 埃尔文·皮尔斯 重复一遍 |
[11:38] | this is the NYPD. | 我们是纽约警察 |
[11:48] | Alwyn Pierce? | 埃尔文·皮尔斯 |
[11:50] | Alwyn? | 埃尔文 |
[12:02] | Well, we can rule out your garden-variety robbery. | 可以排除这是普通抢劫案 |
[12:04] | Money, credit cards, all here. | 钱 信用卡 都在这里 |
[12:06] | No sign of forced entry, no struggle. | 没有强行进入和打斗的痕迹 |
[12:08] | She let them in. | 她让他们进来的 |
[12:10] | Yeah, that’s how I read it, too. | 我也这么觉得 |
[12:12] | Her phone shows one 45-second call at 6:30. | 她的电话显示六点半时有个45秒的通话 |
[12:15] | Traces back to a pay phone | 追踪回去是布鲁克林 |
[12:16] | at a gas station in Brooklyn. | 某个加油站的公用电话 |
[12:18] | We’ll check for surveillance cams. | 我们会检查监控摄像头 |
[12:36] | Al? | 艾尔 |
[12:40] | That’s the box Alwyn took from Lustig’s office. | 这正是埃尔文从卢斯蒂格办公室拿走的箱子 |
[12:43] | These are tapes from Gene’s HSAM study– | 这些磁带录的是金的超忆症研究 |
[12:45] | from my HSAM study. | 我参与过的超忆症研究 |
[12:49] | December 3rd was a Friday. | 12月3日是个星期五 |
[12:51] | I got off early, | 我提早下班 |
[12:52] | so I went to a 4:30 show of Unbreakable. | 去看了四点半的《惊心动魄》 |
[12:56] | – With a friend? – Alone. | -和朋友一起吗 -一个人 |
[12:58] | It was at the Syracuse Odeon. | 是在雪城大剧院 |
[12:59] | Wow, it was cheap. | 票价很便宜 |
[13:00] | It was four bucks. | 就四美元 |
[13:02] | Any trailers? | 有什么预告片吗 |
[13:03] | Previews. We call them trailers in New York. | 前情回顾 在纽约我们叫预告片 |
[13:05] | No, I know, I know what they are. | 不 我知道 我知道什么是预告片 |
[13:07] | You all right? | 你还好吗 |
[13:08] | Yeah. It’s just weird, you know? | 还好 就是感觉很奇怪 |
[13:10] | One thing to remember something, | 记在脑子里是一回事 |
[13:11] | it’s another thing to actually see yourself. | 真正看到过去的自己又是另一码事 |
[13:15] | That girl doesn’t exist anymore. | 那个女孩早已不复存在 |
[13:18] | Those were tough years, | 那些年很艰难 |
[13:19] | after Syracuse. | 在雪城的事情之后 |
[13:21] | Wish I’d been there to help. | 真希望那个时候我在你身边 |
[13:23] | I had to learn to help myself. | 我得学会自我救赎 |
[13:27] | Okay, enough of this. | 好吧 我受够了 |
[13:29] | What does it matter if I had blueberries on my oatmeal | 就算我五年零两个月又三周前的星期五 |
[13:32] | five years, two months, three weeks ago on a Friday? | 在燕麦粥里加了蓝莓 那又有什么关系 |
[13:34] | Come on, Carrie. | 别这样 凯莉 |
[13:35] | And I didn’t. | 我没放蓝莓 |
[13:36] | I had bananas. | 我放了香蕉 |
[13:38] | Do you see, Gene? | 你不明白吗 金 |
[13:38] | It’s relentless! It doesn’t stop! | 这是不间断的 从没停下来过 |
[13:41] | Carrie, people like me, our experiences, | 凯莉 像我这样的人 我们的经历 |
[13:43] | all our little joys, just slip through our fingers. | 我们所有的小幸福 都会从指缝间流走 |
[13:46] | You get to hold on to them. | 你能握住它们 |
[13:48] | You should celebrate that. | 你该为此高兴 |
[13:49] | I can’t let them go! | 我没法让它们消失 |
[13:52] | You keep telling me how wonderful it is | 你一直和我说能记得所有事 |
[13:54] | that I remember everything. | 该有多美妙 |
[13:56] | I can’t… forget. | 我 忘不了 |
[13:58] | There’s a difference. | 这两者是有差异的 |
[14:02] | Sometimes you forget. | 有些时候你会忘记 |
[14:03] | – Never! – Once. | -从没有 -有一次 |
[14:05] | Your sister, Rachel. | 你姐姐 瑞秋 |
[14:09] | Would it help you to know why? | 知道原因会对你有帮助吗 |
[14:13] | Yes. | 是的 |
[14:14] | You’re all struggling. | 你们都一直在挣扎 |
[14:15] | You know Todd? | 还记得托德吗 |
[14:17] | The loud guy. | 那个大嗓门的家伙 |
[14:19] | He likes to scramble up big rocks without a rope. | 他喜欢不带绳索攀岩 |
[14:23] | And beautiful, gentle Lena? | 还有美丽温柔的莉娜 |
[14:26] | She’s seen Terms of Endearment, like, 400 times. | 她大概看过四百多次《母女情深》[电影] |
[14:30] | Cries her eyes out every single time. | 每次看都痛哭流涕 |
[14:32] | And you and Ruth, | 还有你和露丝 |
[14:33] | – you like gambling, right? – Okay. | -你们喜欢赌博 对吗 -好了 |
[14:35] | – High stakes poker, blackjack? – Yes. So? | -高赌注扑克 21点 -对 所以呢 |
[14:37] | So, we don’t know the science exactly yet, | 所以 虽然我们还不知道确切的科学机理 |
[14:40] | but under the influence of intense experience, | 但在外界的强烈刺激下 |
[14:44] | the brain is flooded with adrenaline. | 大脑会分泌海量的肾上腺素 |
[14:47] | That’s a key building block of memory. | 那正是建立记忆的关键 |
[14:50] | Too much adrenaline… | 过量肾上腺素 |
[14:52] | it erases memory. | 会消除记忆 |
[14:55] | There’s a name for it: Psychogenic Amnesia. | 这叫做心因性失忆症 |
[14:58] | Kind of like a memory hole? | 就像某种记忆黑洞吗 |
[14:59] | Exactly. | 正是如此 |
[15:01] | Jumping off bridges on a bungee cord, | 缚着蹦极绳从桥上跳下 |
[15:04] | betting the house on red 22… | 用两张红二对庄家下注 |
[15:09] | the death of a loved one… | 爱人的死亡 |
[15:13] | the most loved one. | 至爱的那个人 |
[15:20] | You memory guys are all risk takers, | 你们这些记忆超群的人都是冒险家 |
[15:23] | adrenaline junkies. | 肾上腺素上瘾者 |
[15:26] | The rush engenders | 肾上腺素的激增 |
[15:28] | a little benign forgetting. | 会引发一个小的良性遗忘 |
[15:30] | So what you’re saying… | 你的意思是 |
[15:33] | I’m saying you’re okay, Carrie Wells. | 我的意思是你很好 凯莉·威尔斯 |
[15:37] | But listen, if in your leisure hours | 不过听着 要是空闲时 |
[15:40] | you’re planning to play with fire, | 你打算玩火 |
[15:42] | just do me a favor, huh? | 帮我个忙 |
[15:46] | Don’t get burned? | 不要引火烧身吗 |
[15:48] | Don’t get caught. | 别被抓住 |
[15:56] | Hey, Carrie, | 凯莉 |
[15:58] | you got any idea | 你知道 |
[15:59] | why Alwyn would have been tracking | 埃尔文为什么一直在试图联系 |
[16:01] | your old memory jocks? | 你那些超级记忆朋友吗 |
[16:02] | I followed up on all those phone records, | 我追踪了所有的通话记录 |
[16:04] | and in the days after she stole the tapes, | 在她偷走磁带后的几天里 |
[16:06] | Alwyn contacted Todd Blasingame, | 埃尔文联系了托德·布莱门 |
[16:07] | · | 凯 莉 威 尔 斯 |
[16:07] | · | 托 马 斯 格 鲁 克 |
[16:09] | Ruth Meaney and Dale Parsons. | 露丝·米尼盖尔和戴尔·帕森斯 |
[16:11] | All participants in your study with Lustig, right? | 都是你所在卢斯蒂格研究小组的成员 对吗 |
[16:14] | I don’t know why she didn’t call the other three. | 我不明白她为什么不给其余三个人打电话 |
[16:16] | Well, Lena committed suicide a year after the memory study, | 莉娜在记忆研究一年后自杀了 |
[16:18] | Tomas moved to Korea to study being a Buddhist monk. | 托马斯跑到韩国当和尚去了 |
[16:22] | Still leaves you. | 还剩下你 |
[16:23] | Maybe she did call. | 她可能打过电话 |
[16:24] | Your old number in Syracuse. | 打给你在雪城时的旧号码 |
[16:26] | By now, it would be assigned to someone else. | 现在应该被别人使用了 |
[16:27] | The question is: why? | 问题是 为什么 |
[16:29] | Why did she call? | 她为什么要打电话 |
[16:31] | We got to talk to them. | 我们得找他们谈谈 |
[16:33] | Stay on those tapes. | 继续查录像带 |
[16:34] | I got a feeling we find out | 我有种直觉 |
[16:35] | what Alwyn was looking for, we find our killer. | 找出埃尔文寻找的东西 就能找到凶手 |
[16:39] | Hi. May I help you? | 请问有什么需要吗 |
[16:40] | Yeah, we’re here to see Dale Parsons. | 我们来找戴尔·帕森斯 |
[16:42] | Oh, he’s actually busy with a client right now. | 他现在正忙着接待客户 |
[16:45] | With you in a sec, Carrie. | 马上就好 凯莉 |
[16:46] | Haven’t seen this guy in nine years? | 有九年没见过这个人了吗 |
[16:48] | That’s why it’s called “Highly superior memory,” Al. | 这就是所谓的”超级记忆力” 艾尔 |
[16:51] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[16:52] | Got a bear of an audit. | 碰到个白痴客户 |
[16:53] | Some clients, they just never learn. | 有些顾客就是学不会 |
[16:55] | Carrie Wells. | 凯莉·威尔斯 |
[16:57] | Love your new look. | 新形象真不错 |
[16:58] | So… unencumbered. | 看起来很洒脱 |
[17:01] | Dale Parsons. | 戴尔·帕森斯 |
[17:02] | Al Burns, NYPD. | 艾尔·彭斯 纽约警察局的 |
[17:03] | Ah, you’re here about Alwyn. | 你们是为了埃尔文来的 |
[17:05] | – Gene, too. – So sad. | -也是为金 -真遗憾 |
[17:07] | But I-I read that that was a suicide. | 不过我看报纸说他是自杀的 |
[17:09] | Do you think that they’re connected? | 你们认为两者的死有联系吗 |
[17:11] | You know, she called me last Monday. | 上周一她给我打电话了 |
[17:13] | Really? What did she want? | 是吗 她说什么了 |
[17:15] | She tried to recruit me for some follow-up HSAM study. | 她想招募我参加超忆症的后续研究 |
[17:18] | Chance to make a name for herself, | 是个帮她打出名气的好机会 |
[17:20] | I suppose. | 我猜是这样 |
[17:21] | She was always pretty ambitious, Alwyn. | 埃尔文总是雄心勃勃的 |
[17:23] | I mean, even as a grad student. | 即便她只是个研究生时 |
[17:26] | Remember, Carrie, | 凯莉你记得吗 |
[17:26] | when she asked Lustig if she could sit in | 她问卢斯蒂格自己是否可以 |
[17:28] | on Ruth Meaney’s second interview? | 旁听露丝·米尼盖尔的第二次面试 |
[17:30] | Yeah, how could I forget? | 当然 怎么能忘了 |
[17:31] | January 19, 2004. It was Monday. | 2004年1月19号 周一 |
[17:34] | Around 11:15. | 11点15分左右 |
[17:35] | 16. | 16分 |
[17:37] | Fifteen. | 15分 |
[17:39] | If you say so. | 你说是就是吧 |
[17:40] | I do. | 确实是 |
[17:42] | So, Alwyn… what’d you tell her? | 那么 你怎么跟埃尔文说的 |
[17:46] | Well, I said, “Please, get back in a room | 我说 “得了吧 又要回去 |
[17:47] | with those lemon heads?” | 和那些榆木脑袋共处一室” |
[17:48] | Who you calling a lemon head, Dale? | 你说谁是榆木脑袋 戴尔 |
[17:50] | Who’s got time, anyway? | 总之 谁有时间去呢 |
[17:52] | Did Professor Pierce talk about | 皮尔斯教授有没有提到 |
[17:53] | her relationship with Dr. Lustig? | 她和卢斯蒂格博士的关系 |
[17:55] | Not a word. | 没有 |
[17:55] | She just said that she was trying | 她只是说她想 |
[17:57] | to update an earlier study. | 更新一项早期研究 |
[17:59] | And like I said, I told her thanks, but no thanks. | 正如我说的 我告诉她不用了 谢谢 |
[18:02] | I’d say, “Call if you remember anything else,” | 我通常会说 “记起来什么请给我电话” |
[18:04] | but I’ve learned there’s no point. | 不过现在就多此一举了 |
[18:06] | It’s good to see you again, Carrie, | 很高兴又见到你 凯莉 |
[18:07] | and a pleasure to meet you, Al, | 也很高兴认识你 艾尔 |
[18:09] | but I must say, | 但我要说 |
[18:10] | you’re not exactly as Carrie described you. | 你一点都不像凯莉描述的样子 |
[18:13] | Mary, can you give me a hand with the Elderton? | 玛丽 能帮我处理下艾德顿的事吗 |
[18:15] | So how is it I came up in your memory study? | 你怎么会在记忆研究中提到我 |
[18:17] | Gene wanted us to deal with | 金想让我们讨论 |
[18:18] | some memories accompanied by strong emotions. | 一些伴有强烈情感的记忆 |
[18:20] | And how exactly did you describe me? | 那你到底是怎么说我的 |
[18:22] | Well, I’m not really sure. | 我记不太清了 |
[18:25] | You don’t remember? | 你是说你忘了 |
[18:26] | All right, fine. | 好吧 |
[18:28] | I may have given you… | 我可能说你 |
[18:31] | a lisp, a wandering eye and really bad dandruff. | 口齿不清 贼眉鼠眼 头屑满天飞 |
[18:34] | But we had broken up, and I was mad. | 但我们当时分手了 我心情很糟糕 |
[18:35] | Nice. | 真好 |
[18:37] | Let’s go, lemon head. | 走吧 榆木脑袋 |
[18:39] | Hey, Vita Club members, Todd Blasingame coming at you | 维塔俱乐部会员们 我是托德·布莱门 |
[18:42] | from beautiful, beautiful San Marco Key. | 正身处风景秀丽的圣马可岛 |
[18:45] | Now, did you know my limited production Memory Serum contains | 你知道吗 我们限量版的健忆乳 |
[18:48] | the fermented extracts of over 38 tropical fruits and berries? | 含有三十八种热带水果的发酵提取物 |
[18:52] | Cut! All right, guys, let’s reset it back to one. | 停 好了大伙 我们重新来一次 |
[18:54] | Lauren, honey, I’m gonna need a touch-up. | 劳伦 甜心 我需要补下妆 |
[18:56] | I’m sorry. | 不好意思 |
[18:57] | So you were asking me about poor Alwyn Pierce. | 你们是来问我可怜的埃尔文·皮尔斯的吧 |
[18:59] | Yeah. Did you speak with her in the last week? | 是的 上周你跟她通过话吗 |
[19:01] | No, but I saw her name on my call list. | 没有 不过我在电话列表上看到她了 |
[19:03] | Hundred calls a day, can’t return them all. | 一天上百个电话 无法全部回复 |
[19:05] | Any idea why she was calling? | 知道她为什么打电话吗 |
[19:07] | Thanks, hon. I’m good. | 谢谢 甜心 行了 |
[19:09] | Not a clue. | 不知道 |
[19:11] | Go ahead. | 来吧 |
[19:13] | – Hit me. – Hit you? | -试试我 -试试你 |
[19:15] | Yeah, you know, with the question. | 是啊 你知道的 提问题 |
[19:16] | You know, where was I the night of blah-blah-blah? | 某晚我在哪之类的 |
[19:18] | Okay. Monday morning, Tuesday night, | 好的 周一早上和周二晚上 |
[19:20] | where were you, Mr. Blasingame? | 你在哪 布莱门先生 |
[19:21] | Call me Todd. | 叫我托德 |
[19:23] | Norway. | 挪威 |
[19:24] | You were in Norway? | 你在挪威 |
[19:25] | Just got back this morning. | 今天早上刚回来 |
[19:27] | Have you ever heard of Trollveggen? | 你们听说过山妖墙吗 |
[19:29] | 3,600-foot vertical cliff. | 三千六百英尺高的峭壁 |
[19:32] | Outstanding! | 非同凡响 |
[19:34] | I base-jumped it. | 我在那玩了低空跳伞 |
[19:36] | So when’s the last time you saw Dr. Lustig? | 你上次见到卢斯蒂格博士是什么时候 |
[19:38] | February 17, 2009. Tuesday. | 2009年2月17号 周二 |
[19:41] | That was the day I settled | 那天我搞定了 |
[19:42] | that little nuisance lawsuit he cooked up. | 他捏造出来的讨厌官司 |
[19:44] | Hmm, he didn’t want you using his name | 他不愿让你打着他的名号 |
[19:45] | in promotion for your memory products. | 推销你的记忆产品 |
[19:47] | $500,000 in punitive | 罚款加上律师费 |
[19:48] | and lawyer fees, Mr. Blasingame. | 五十万美元呢 布莱门先生 |
[19:51] | Sorry. Todd. | 不好意思 是托德 |
[19:53] | Weren’t you even a little upset? | 你难道一点都不难过吗 |
[19:57] | You see that? | 看到了吗 |
[19:58] | And I’m not talking about the beauties. | 不是说这些美女 |
[20:01] | This uses your body’s own energy | 这东西利用人体自身的能量 |
[20:03] | to locate areas that are stressed. | 定位身体紧张的部位 |
[20:05] | This little puppy has already made me three mil, | 这个小玩意儿已经让我赚了三百万 |
[20:08] | and I haven’t even shipped one of ’em. | 而我甚至一个货都没发 |
[20:10] | I don’t think I’m upset at anyone. | 我不觉得自己会为谁感到难过 |
[20:12] | – Okay, Todd, let’s get another one. – Thank you. | -好了 托德 继续下一个 -谢谢 |
[20:13] | You know, I am starting to understand why | 我开始知道为什么凯莉没有 |
[20:15] | Carrie didn’t stay in touch with these memory folks. | 跟这些超级记忆朋友保持联系了 |
[20:17] | Yeah, you hold on to everything long enough, | 如果你太久地掌控一切 |
[20:19] | it’s easy to forget anyone else is out there. | 你很容易会变得目空一切 |
[20:21] | From Mr. Blasingame, with his compliments. | 布莱门先生送的 向你们致意 |
[20:28] | And they’re heading to the gates | 他们正走向大门 |
[20:29] | for race number six. | 准备第六场比赛 |
[20:31] | Number three horse… | 三号赛马 |
[20:33] | Carrie Wells, as I live and drink. | 凯莉·威尔斯 什么风把你吹来了 |
[20:35] | Ruth Meaney. | 露丝·米尼盖尔 |
[20:37] | Number seven, Rosso Brew, with jockey Juan Marquez… | 七号赛马罗素·布鲁和骑师胡安·马奎兹 |
[20:42] | Whatever happened to blackjack? | 怎么不玩21点了 |
[20:44] | Are you kidding? | 开玩笑 |
[20:45] | My picture’s up in every casino all across the country. | 我的照片遍布全国每家赌场 |
[20:49] | There they go. | 开始了 |
[20:52] | Who you got? | 你押了谁 |
[20:54] | Claire’s Knee, number six. | 克莱尔的尼 六号 |
[20:55] | I got no memory edge for the ponies. | 赌马的话 我的记忆力没什么优势 |
[20:58] | And so what if he ran 2:11 in the mud | 就算他在去年一个周二的两点十一分 |
[21:02] | a year ago Tuesday? | 踩进了泥里又能怎样 |
[21:03] | Look at him now. | 瞧他现在 |
[21:06] | With all the booze and dope I’ve sucked up, | 我这样醉生梦死的 |
[21:10] | you’d think I’d be brain-dead. | 你一定以为我脑子坏掉了 |
[21:14] | No such luck. | 可没那么好运 |
[21:15] | Rosso Brew and Vital Jack are battling it out! | 罗素·布鲁和维特·杰克竞争激烈 |
[21:18] | And it is Vital Jack… | 维特·杰克胜出 |
[21:19] | Run, you schmuck. | 快跑啊 你个笨蛋 |
[21:27] | Did you hear about Alwyn? | 你听说埃尔文的事了吗 |
[21:29] | I’m afraid so, yeah. | 听说了 |
[21:32] | Come on. | 来吧 |
[21:33] | She claimed Lustig goosed the results | 她声称卢斯蒂格篡改了 |
[21:36] | of the memory tests. | 记忆测试的结果 |
[21:38] | Oh, you know, try to make it all seem more impressive, | 让结果看起来更有说服力 |
[21:42] | make a bigger splash, dazzle the world. | 进而轰动全世界 |
[21:45] | He would never do that. | 他不会那样做的 |
[21:46] | He was a legitimate scientist. | 他是位正统的科学家 |
[21:47] | Well, you’re telling me. | 那还用你说 |
[21:50] | But Alwyn had an axe to grind. | 但埃尔文不这么想 |
[21:53] | Now, she asked me | 她问过我 |
[21:55] | if Lustig ever put me up to lying. | 卢斯蒂格有没有让我说谎 |
[22:00] | Well, did he? | 他有吗 |
[22:02] | Oh, come on, no! | 拜托 当然没有 |
[22:05] | Well, Alwyn thought he did. | 埃尔文觉得他做了 |
[22:08] | Well, that-that would be crazy. | 那可真够疯狂的 |
[22:10] | Of course it’s crazy. | 当然是疯了 |
[22:13] | But… I guess there was someone | 不过 我觉得有人 |
[22:16] | who told one big old whopper. | 扯了个弥天大谎 |
[22:20] | Someone in our group lied? | 我们小组里有人撒谎吗 |
[22:22] | Who? | 谁 |
[22:23] | Alwyn wouldn’t say. | 埃尔文不想说 |
[22:25] | But, um… | 不过 |
[22:27] | well, it was that one group session we had | 我只知道 当时我们都在参加那个 |
[22:31] | is all I know. | 小组会话 |
[22:33] | Thank you, Ruthie. | 谢谢你 露丝 |
[22:35] | You and me, Carrie, we could break the bank. | 凯莉 我们俩合作 能让庄家破产 |
[22:41] | Make a hell of a team. | 组个队吧 |
[22:42] | Unstoppable, indestructible. | 绝对势不可挡 无坚不摧 |
[22:47] | Carrie, what’s up? | 凯莉 什么事 |
[22:48] | We have to look at the group session. | 我们得查一下小组会话 |
[22:51] | What group session? | 什么小组会话 |
[22:52] | There was only one: January 20, all six of us. | 就只有一个 1月20日 我们六个都在 |
[22:55] | Lustig wanted to see if we could influence | 卢斯蒂格想看看我们能否 |
[22:56] | each other’s recollections. | 影响彼此的记忆 |
[22:58] | Uh, I’m not seeing it, Carrie. | 我不明白 凯莉 |
[23:00] | There’s no tape for that day. | 没有那一天的带子 |
[23:01] | Check again; there has to be. | 再查一遍 一定有的 |
[23:03] | Nope. January 15, January 19, January 23. | 没有 只有1月15日 1月19日 1月23日的 |
[23:07] | Okay, well, I know | 好吧 我知道 |
[23:08] | there was a session on the 20th, which means… | 二十日时的确有会话 那就是说 |
[23:12] | someone stole that tape | 有人从埃尔文的公寓 |
[23:13] | from Alwyn’s apartment. | 偷走了那盘带子 |
[23:14] | What’s so important about that one session? | 这次会话为什么那么重要 |
[23:17] | Alwyn thought someone lied about a memory. | 埃尔文觉得有人说谎了 |
[23:20] | Whatever is on that tape got her and Gene killed. | 带子里的内容让她和金都送了命 |
[23:27] | Carrie, what’s going on? | 凯莉 怎么了 |
[23:30] | Carrie? | 凯莉 |
[23:36] | We got no witnesses from streets or surrounding buildings. | 街上和周围建筑物里都没找到目击证人 |
[23:38] | We’re looking for footage from secams, traffic cameras, | 我们在查安全摄像头 交通摄像头 |
[23:42] | anything that might have picked up the car. | 任何可能拍到那辆车的画面 |
[23:44] | – Thanks. Stay on it. – Yeah. | -谢谢 继续查 -好的 |
[23:46] | So, we know this group session was taped, | 我们知道那次小组会话有录像 |
[23:48] | but we don’t know what’s on it, and now it’s gone? | 但是不知道具体内容 现在又不见了 |
[23:50] | It’s not gone. | 不是不见了 |
[23:51] | Hold still, please. | 拜托 别动 |
[23:53] | My work is so much better | 我的病人不会动时 |
[23:54] | when my patients aren’t moving. | 工作就简单多了 |
[23:56] | We have a copy here. | 我们这里有备份 |
[23:58] | Yeah, we don’t need the tape. | 是的 我们不需要带子 |
[23:59] | I got it in my memory. | 都在我脑子里呢 |
[24:03] | What do you need? Uh, candles, uh, what, some music? | 需要准备什么 蜡烛 还是来点音乐 |
[24:07] | No, no, we just… | 不 不用 只要 |
[24:09] | a stenographer would be great. And a pad of paper. | 找位速记员来就好 再拿点纸 |
[24:11] | You know, it’s not a massage, just remembering. | 这不是做按摩 只是回忆一下 |
[24:14] | Great. We’ll set you up. | 好的 我们给你准备 |
[24:18] | It was the first time he put us all together– | 那是他第一次把我们聚到一起 |
[24:22] | the only time. | 唯一一次 |
[24:24] | He brought us all in a room, | 他把我们都带到一个房间 |
[24:27] | sat us in a circle. | 坐成一圈 |
[24:30] | All right, everyone, | 好了 大家注意 |
[24:31] | I am gonna ask about your memories… | 我要问一些关于你们记忆的问题 |
[24:32] | And asked us about memories from random days. | 问了我们任意一天的记忆 |
[24:36] | Uh, the first one was January 17, 1991. | 第一个日子是1991年1月17日 |
[24:40] | Tomas said, | 托马斯说 |
[24:41] | That would’ve been a Thursday. | 那天是周四 |
[24:42] | I had a history test and a term paper. | 我有一场历史考试 还要交一份学期报告 |
[24:44] | Todd interrupted. | 托德打断了 |
[24:45] | It was the start of Desert Storm. | 那天发动了”沙漠风暴”战争 |
[24:47] | Right, I was going to say. And, uh… | 对 我正要说呢 |
[24:49] | And I was sitting down to study, but my mom… | 我正坐在那里学习 但是我妈妈… |
[24:51] | Then Gene asked about February 11, 1999, | 然后金问了1999年2月11日 |
[24:54] | first to Ruth. | 首先问露丝 |
[24:56] | Right, of all days. | 好吧 可真会选日子 |
[24:57] | Sorry? | 什么 |
[24:58] | Ruth said, Well, just ’cause after getting killed | 露丝说 因为那天维拉诺瓦队[大学篮球队] |
[25:00] | on the Villanova game, which.. | 输得太惨了 |
[25:02] | I mean, 111 to 85. | 比分是111比85 |
[25:04] | – Come on. – Come on. | -拜托 -拜托 |
[25:05] | Are we talking basketball? | 我们是在聊篮球吗 |
[25:06] | What do you think? Ruth said. | 你以为呢 露丝说 |
[25:07] | Boomerang chucking? | 难道聊回旋镖吗 |
[25:09] | Yes, basketball. | 说的就是篮球 |
[25:10] | You egghead. | 你个书呆子 |
[25:12] | Lena. Wouldn’t you know it, | 莉娜说 你们可不知道 |
[25:14] | they were doing track work on the Rock Island Line… | 那天罗克艾兰铁路停运维修 |
[25:16] | so I had to have Peggy drive me in. | 我不得不让佩吉开车送我 |
[25:18] | Peggy? | 佩吉 |
[25:19] | That’s my niece. | 我侄女 |
[25:21] | Right away, she starts coughing. | 刚出门 她就开始咳嗽 |
[25:22] | So I said, “Forget Marshall Field’s. | 然后我就说 不去马歇尔菲尔德百货了 |
[25:24] | We’re going straight to Dr. Rinaldi.” | 我们直接去找里纳尔迪医生 |
[25:25] | February 11, 1999, | 1999年2月11日 |
[25:27] | We got a call about a break-in. | 我们接到报警说有人非法入侵 |
[25:29] | A little two-story colonial | 是个殖民地风格的两层小楼 |
[25:31] | with yellow trim down on Sterling and Coolidge. | 在斯特林路和柯立芝路交口 |
[25:33] | Turns out it was a couple kids | 结果发现是几个孩子 |
[25:34] | throwing rocks at the basement windows. | 在朝地下室的窗户扔石头 |
[25:37] | Blasingame, I mean, anybody could’ve told you | 布莱门说 有人可能告诉过你 |
[25:39] | the new year was gonna be soft. | 新年会变得很糟糕 |
[25:40] | So, I turned a profit on intel at the open at 63. | 我在63年初靠内部消息赚了一大笔 |
[25:43] | I rolled it over into… | 钱滚钱… |
[25:44] | …June hogs. | 直到来年六月 |
[25:46] | Then Gene asked about… | 然后金又问了 |
[25:47] | March 6, 1997. | 1997年3月6日 |
[25:49] | – Dale Parsons said… – A Thursday. | -戴尔·帕森斯说 -是周四 |
[25:51] | I’d just read an article how they’re getting | 我刚读了一篇关于如何创造 |
[25:52] | record prices at auction houses for art. | 艺术品拍卖最高价格的文章 |
[25:55] | $68.9 million for a Van Gogh. | 一幅梵高的画卖了6890万美元 |
[25:59] | How is that even possible? | 真是太不可思议了 |
[26:00] | It’s just paint, people. | 只是一幅画而已呀 |
[26:01] | And since I happened to be two blocks from the Met, | 既然我家离大都会博物馆只有两个街区 |
[26:03] | I go in that afternoon and ask, What’s the most… | 所以下午我就去问了一下 哪一幅 |
[26:05] | …Expensive painting that you have in here? | 是你们这里最贵的画 |
[26:07] | Did you get an answer? | 你找到答案了吗 |
[26:08] | A Vermeer. | 是一幅维米尔[荷兰画家]的画 |
[26:10] | Uh, Young Woman with a Water Pitcher. | 《拿水罐的年轻女子》 |
[26:12] | So I went and had a look at it, and you know what? | 所以我就去看了那画 你们猜怎么着 |
[26:14] | It’s a young woman with a water pitcher. | 那只是个拿水罐的年轻女子 |
[26:16] | – Tomas said… – I love that painting. | -托马斯说 -我喜欢那幅画 |
[26:17] | – Then Gene asked… – Ruth? | -然后金问道 -露丝呢 |
[26:19] | I remembered to bring a sweater, | 我记得我那天带了羊毛衫 |
[26:20] | because 1010 WINS… | 因为纽约”赢在1010″电台节目 |
[26:21] | …Was saying a high of 40. | 说最高气温四摄氏度 |
[26:23] | What they didn’t… | 但他们却没说 |
[26:24] | …Say, the sky was gonna crack open. | 那天会下雨 |
[26:26] | It was Saturday, and I’d just gotten my first M3. | 那天是周六 我拿到了我第一辆[宝马]M3 |
[26:29] | 3.2 liter. | 3.2升发动机 |
[26:30] | Passion-red, beautiful. | 激情红色车身 漂亮极了 |
[26:32] | Got pinched for doing | 因为在限速35英里的区域 |
[26:33] | 48 in a 35 zone. | 以时速48英里行驶而被扣了 |
[26:34] | Which I don’t even consider that speeding. | 我根本没觉得那是超速 |
[26:37] | Gene said, “You’re all amazing”. | 金说 “你们都太神奇了” |
[26:39] | Uh, there’s pizza in the next room. | 隔壁房间有比萨 |
[26:41] | For those who don’t like… | 对于那些不喜欢 |
[26:42] | …Pepperoni, there’s ham and pineapple. | 意式香肠的人 还有火腿菠萝口味的 |
[26:45] | Save me a slice. | 记得给我留一角 |
[26:46] | And… | 然后 |
[26:48] | The end? | 结束了 |
[26:50] | The end. | 结束了 |
[26:55] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[26:58] | You okay? | 你还好吗 |
[26:59] | Tired, sad. | 很累 很难过 |
[27:03] | You are amazing. | 你太棒了 |
[27:07] | I’m just saying, this is a ton of memories. | 我只想说 这些记忆也太多了 |
[27:09] | Which, incredible job, by the way, Carrie, | 顺便说一句 干得好 凯莉 |
[27:11] | but if we’re gonna verify each one, | 但如果我们要去一一查证这些 |
[27:13] | it’s gonna take forever. | 永远都不可能完成 |
[27:14] | We know Lustig was able to do it. | 卢斯蒂格就都查证过了 |
[27:15] | No, he wasn’t. He did random spot-checks. | 他没有 他只做随机抽查 |
[27:18] | Yeah, see, but then how did Alwyn do it? | 但埃尔文是怎么查到的呢 |
[27:20] | I mean, we’re talking about random details | 我们现在要查证一堆毫无联系的信息细节 |
[27:22] | about track work on the Long Island Railroad in 1988. | 比如1988年长岛铁路的运行状况 |
[27:25] | The price of lamb chops, 1996. | 1996年迷迭香羊扒的价格 |
[27:27] | Fourth race at Roosevelt, 1994. | 1994年罗斯福第四场赛马的结果 |
[27:29] | I don’t know. | 我可说不准 |
[27:30] | Now, maybe if she was a fan of the trotters or something. | 也许她也是个赛马迷之类的 |
[27:33] | Maybe she was. | 也许她就是 |
[27:35] | I mean, maybe Alwyn found an incorrect memory | 也许之所以埃尔文能立刻发现 |
[27:37] | in no time at all because it happened to be | 记忆中存在错误 是因为 |
[27:39] | in an area of her expertise. | 那正好是她所熟知的领域 |
[27:41] | If it was something that jumped out at her… | 有什么问题她立刻就觉察到了 |
[27:43] | Money, credit cards, all here. | 钱 信用卡 都在这里 |
[27:45] | No sign of forced entry, no struggle. | 没有强行进入和打斗的痕迹 |
[27:47] | She let them in. | 她让他们进来的 |
[27:49] | Yeah, that’s how I read it, too. | 我也这么觉得 |
[27:52] | Her phone shows one 45-second call… | 她的电话显示有个45秒的通话 |
[27:54] | Traces back to a pay phone | 追踪回去是布鲁克林 |
[27:55] | at a gas station in Brooklyn. | 某个加油站的公用电话 |
[28:00] | She and Lustig may have been fighting, | 她和卢斯蒂格也许矛盾重重 |
[28:01] | but she’s got a ton of his books here. | 但这里堆满了他写的书 |
[28:06] | Art. | 艺术 |
[28:07] | Alwyn was an art lover. | 埃尔文喜欢艺术 |
[28:10] | Books, museum posters– | 书籍 博物馆海报 |
[28:11] | they were all over her apartment. | 她公寓里到处都是这些 |
[28:14] | Since I happened to be two blocks | 既然我家离大都会博物馆 |
[28:15] | from the Metropolitan Museum, I go in that afternoon. | 只有两个街区 所以下午我就去了 |
[28:17] | Vermeer, A Young Woman with a Water Pitcher. | 维米尔的画 《拿水罐的年轻女子》 |
[28:20] | Parsons said he saw a Vermeer | 帕森斯说他在大都会博物馆 |
[28:23] | at the Metropolitan. | 看到了维米尔的画 |
[28:25] | A Young Woman with a Water Pitcher. | 《拿水罐的年轻女子》 |
[28:27] | Maybe he got the museum wrong? | 也许他把具体哪个博物馆记错了 |
[28:28] | No, that painting was at the Met. | 没记错 那幅画就在那里 |
[28:30] | My cousin Angie works there. | 我表姐安吉在那里工作 |
[28:31] | It’s been in the collection for years. | 那幅画已在那里收藏多年了 |
[28:33] | All right, call her. | 那就好办了 给她打个电话 |
[28:33] | My bet is he didn’t see it | 我打赌他在1997年3月6日 |
[28:35] | when he said he did. March 6, 1997. | 根本没看过那幅画 |
[28:37] | Find out if the museum was closed, | 查查那天博物馆有没有闭馆 |
[28:39] | having a private event, something, | 或者有私人展览之类的 |
[28:41] | anything. | 任何相关的事 |
[28:42] | Hey, Angie, it’s me. | 安吉 是我 |
[28:43] | You by a computer? | 你在电脑旁边吗 |
[28:44] | What if Parsons just got it wrong? | 会不会帕森斯就是记错了呢 |
[28:46] | People make mistakes. No one bats a thousand. | 是人就会犯错 没人百发百中 |
[28:47] | Parsons does. | 帕森斯不会记错 |
[28:48] | He scored highest on all of the objective tests. | 他在客观测试中的得分最高 |
[28:51] | He beat me. | 超过了我 |
[28:52] | If he got it wrong, | 如果他说错了 |
[28:53] | he’s lying. | 那他就是在撒谎 |
[28:54] | You rock, Angie. Yep. | 你最棒了 安吉 没错 |
[28:57] | March 6, 1997. | 1997年3月6日 |
[28:59] | Young Woman with a Water Pitcher | 《拿水罐的年轻女子》 |
[29:00] | was on loan to the Prado Museum in Madrid. | 当时出借给了马德里的普拉多博物馆展出 |
[29:02] | No way Parsons could’ve seen it. | 帕森斯不可能在那时见过这画 |
[29:04] | He is lying. | 他在撒谎 |
[29:05] | And whatever he did that day, | 不论他那天干了什么 |
[29:06] | he wants to keep it secret. | 他想要保守那个秘密 |
[29:07] | He’ll kill to keep it secret. | 他为了保守秘密不惜杀人 |
[29:09] | Jay, check the crime’s database. | 杰 搜索犯罪记录 |
[29:11] | March 6, 1997. | 1997年3月6日 |
[29:12] | Unsolved murders, anything. | 有没有未侦破的谋杀案之类的 |
[29:14] | Okay, here we go. | 好的 这就查 |
[29:16] | Let’s look at the whole tristate area and unsolved murders. | 查看三州地区未侦破的谋杀案 |
[29:20] | Widening the jurisdiction. Got it. | 正在扩大司法管辖权 找到了 |
[29:23] | Four unsolved murders March 6, 1997. | 1997年3月6日有四起未侦破的谋杀案 |
[29:25] | Now, assuming for the moment that we’re not looking | 假设我们寻找的不是一起 |
[29:27] | at a gang-related homicide, that narrows it down to… | 与帮派有关的凶杀案 范围就缩小到 |
[29:30] | Valerie Johnson, age 21, | 瓦莱丽·约翰森 21岁 |
[29:31] | CUNY student, | 纽约市立大学学生 |
[29:33] | found dead in her car in Farmingdale. | 在法明代尔被发现死于车内 |
[29:35] | Strangled with clothesline. | 被晒衣绳勒死 |
[29:42] | Thanks for meeting me, Dale. | 谢谢你来见我 戴尔 |
[29:43] | If anyone can help us with this thing, it’s you. | 只有你能帮我们这个忙了 |
[29:45] | No problem. I got a client right around the corner, | 没问题 我马上要见个客户 |
[29:47] | but I think I already told you everything that I know. | 我已经告诉你所有我知道的事了 |
[29:51] | Well, maybe I can learn more | 也许我能通过 |
[29:52] | by picking that extraordinary brain of yours. | 挑战你无与伦比的头脑再发现点什么 |
[29:56] | Well, you will certainly learn something. | 你肯定能再发现点什么 |
[29:58] | but probably not about what you want to know. | 但不一定是你想要知道的 |
[30:02] | March 6, 1997. | 1997年3月6日 |
[30:05] | Thursday. | 那天是周四 |
[30:07] | Yes, it was. | 没错 |
[30:08] | What were you doing that afternoon? | 你那天下午在干什么 |
[30:11] | Oh, God, you sound like Lustig. | 天哪 你听起来就像卢斯蒂格 |
[30:13] | I thought this was about Alwyn. | 我以为你是想问埃尔文的事 |
[30:14] | Well, it is, indirectly. | 的确是 间接有关 |
[30:16] | See, I know what I was doing that afternoon. | 我记得我那天下午在干什么 |
[30:19] | I was buying socks and underwear at the Syracuse Dress Barn, | 我在雪城女装仓库买袜子和内衣 |
[30:22] | which is not the most exciting or sexy thing in the world, | 这听起来既不令人兴奋也不性感 |
[30:26] | but at least it’s true. | 但至少这是真的 |
[30:29] | It’s not like | 毕竟 |
[30:29] | the Syracuse Dress Barn just moved to Madrid. | 雪城女装仓库那天可没搬到马德里 |
[30:35] | I’m sorry, what was the question again? | 抱歉 你刚才问我什么 |
[30:37] | March 6, 1997. | 1997年3月6日 |
[30:38] | – You told our group… – I’m kidding. | -你跟小组成员说 -我开玩笑的 |
[30:39] | That you were at the Metropolitan… | 你在大都会博物馆 |
[30:40] | Oh, group session, boring. | 会话小组 真无聊 |
[30:42] | Seeing a painting by Vermeer. | 看一幅维米尔的画 |
[30:44] | – No, I didn’t. – Yes, you did. | -我没那么说过 -你就是那么说的 |
[30:47] | Wow, is that what you remember? | 你记得是这样的吗 |
[30:50] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[30:51] | No, Carrie, on Thursday afternoon, March 6, | 凯莉 3月6日周四下午 |
[30:54] | I was at the 1:45 p.m. screening of Donnie Brasco | 我在林肯广场影院 |
[30:57] | at Lincoln Square Cinema. | 看1点45分的《忠奸人》 |
[30:58] | Afterwards, I had sushi at Lenge. | 之后 我在兰芝吃了寿司 |
[31:00] | By the time I was finished, | 在我吃完的时候 |
[31:01] | I would’ve had exactly nine minutes | 只剩下九分钟的时间 |
[31:03] | to get across town to the Met before it closed. | 让我在大都会博物馆关门前横穿曼哈顿赶到那 |
[31:06] | So how could I have seen a Vermeer? | 你说我怎么可能看得了维米尔的画 |
[31:08] | P.S. I don’t even like Vermeer. | 况且我压根就不喜欢维米尔 |
[31:10] | You said you saw the painting. | 你说过你在看画 |
[31:12] | It’s your memory against mine. | 这只是你的一面之词 |
[31:15] | What about the tapes? | 那录影带呢 |
[31:16] | Great, check the tape. | 对啊 看下录影带 |
[31:17] | You’ll see that I am right. | 看完你就知道我是对的了 |
[31:19] | I could always ask Todd, Ruthie. | 我还可以去问托德和露丝 |
[31:22] | Sure, ask them. | 行啊 问他们呗 |
[31:23] | But why bother? | 但何必呢 |
[31:24] | You have the tape, don’t you? | 你已经有录影带了 不是吗 |
[31:28] | Don’t you? | 难道你没有吗 |
[31:33] | It’s just you against me. | 所以这就是你的一面之词 |
[31:35] | I wouldn’t take those odds, | 我是不愿和你赌什么 |
[31:36] | but you’re the gambling gal, right? | 不过你就是个爱赌的家伙 不是吗 |
[31:43] | Are we done? | 问完了吗 |
[31:44] | One more thing, actually. | 还有一件事 |
[31:47] | A little picture for you. | 有一张照片要给你看 |
[31:50] | Valerie Johnson. Remember her? | 瓦莱丽·约翰森 记得她吗 |
[31:52] | She was a client of yours. | 她曾经是你的一个客户 |
[31:55] | Indeed she was. | 的确是 |
[31:56] | I did her taxes for 1996. | 我在96年帮她报过税 |
[31:58] | Adjusted gross, $21,380, | 总收入21380美元 |
[32:01] | total take-home, $25,300. She got a $408 refund. | 实际所得25300美元 应退税408美元 |
[32:04] | You ever take her home, Dale? | 你带她回过家吗 戴尔 |
[32:08] | I think I liked you better when you were miserable. | 我还是觉得悲惨的你比较讨人喜欢 |
[32:14] | All right. | 好的 |
[32:15] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[32:18] | That was Murray. | 莫里刚来电 |
[32:19] | She found three more cases, same M.O. | 她又找到三个案子 作案手法相同 |
[32:22] | Young women strangled with clothesline. | 年轻女性 被晾衣绳勒死 |
[32:23] | Poughkeepsie, Binghamton; | 宾汉顿 波基普西 |
[32:25] | Cherry Hill, New Jersey. | 和新泽西的樱桃山 |
[32:26] | Each murder corresponds with an audit | 每个被害人都曾让戴尔·帕森斯 |
[32:28] | Dale Parsons attended on behalf of clients. | 帮她们算过税 |
[32:31] | Valerie Johnson wasn’t his only victim. | 瓦莱丽·约翰森不是唯一的被害人 |
[32:34] | He’s a serial killer. | 他是个连环杀手 |
[32:44] | I still don’t get it. | 我还是不理解 |
[32:45] | Parsons kills these women, | 帕森斯杀了这些女人 |
[32:47] | doesn’t leave a trace, | 没留下什么线索 |
[32:48] | but then makes up a bogus alibi, | 却做了个多余的不在场证明 |
[32:50] | knowing Lustig could find out | 是知道卢斯蒂格可能会发现 |
[32:51] | and challenge him? | 然后质问他吗 |
[32:52] | It was seven years later. | 这都过去七年了 |
[32:53] | Gene was picking random days. | 金只是随便挑日子问 |
[32:55] | Dale wasn’t expecting him to ask about that one day, | 戴尔没料到他会问到这一天 |
[32:58] | so he panics, and he lies. | 所以他惊慌失措撒了谎 |
[33:00] | So based on IRS returns | 根据国税局提供的 |
[33:02] | where Parsons signed on as the responsible accountant, | 帕森斯作为责任会计签过名的税表 |
[33:04] | we could be up to eight victims. | 被害者人数可能上升至八人 |
[33:05] | – Oh, my God. – If he consulted, | -天啊 -如果他作为顾问 |
[33:07] | gave investment advice to other women, | 还给其他女性一些投资经验的话 |
[33:08] | who knows how many he killed? | 天知道他究竟杀了多少人 |
[33:10] | What the hell are you drinking? | 你在喝什么 |
[33:12] | Blasingame’s memory juice. | 布莱门的健忆果汁 |
[33:14] | You know, I hate to admit it, | 尽管我不愿承认 |
[33:15] | but I think the guy’s onto something. | 但我觉得这家伙有几把刷子 |
[33:16] | I read his book. He caught a rattlesnake | 我读了他的书 他在死亡谷 |
[33:18] | with his bare hands in Death Valley. | 徒手捉住了一条响尾蛇 |
[33:20] | Guy’s a total adrenaline junkie. | 这家伙绝对对肾上腺素上瘾 |
[33:22] | You memory guys are all risk takers. | 你们这些记忆超群的人都是冒险家 |
[33:25] | Adrenaline junkies. | 肾上腺素上瘾者 |
[33:26] | The rush engenders… | 肾上腺素的激增 |
[33:29] | a little benign forgetting. | 会引发一个小的良性遗忘 |
[33:32] | What time of day was Valerie Johnson murdered? | 瓦莱丽·约翰森是在当天什么时段遇害的 |
[33:34] | It was morning sometime. | 早上的某个时间 |
[33:35] | She was on her way to school, so 8:00, 8:30. | 在去学校的路上 八点到八点半 |
[33:39] | We’ve got to bring Dale Parsons in. | 我们得把戴尔·帕森斯带过来 |
[33:40] | We don’t have enough to arrest him. | 我们没有足够的证据逮捕他 |
[33:42] | Can’t lock a guy up for lying. | 不能因为撒谎就把谁关起来 |
[33:43] | He wasn’t lying. | 他没在撒谎 |
[33:53] | – Hi, Dale. – Hello. | -戴尔 -你好 |
[33:54] | Thanks for coming in. | 谢谢你能过来 |
[33:55] | Never been in an actual interrogation room. | 第一次坐在货真价实的审讯室里 |
[33:58] | It’s cozy. | 还挺惬意的 |
[33:59] | And an audience. | 而且还有观众 |
[34:01] | Hello, people. | 各位 你们好 |
[34:03] | So, what happens now? | 现在是怎么一回事 |
[34:05] | You break me? | 要审讯我吗 |
[34:07] | No. | 不 |
[34:08] | This is just a conversation, friendly conversation, Dale. | 只是来聊聊天 友善的对话 戴尔 |
[34:10] | So I won’t need, say, a lawyer? | 所以我不用请律师吧 |
[34:12] | Why would you need a lawyer? | 你还需要请律师吗 |
[34:14] | You’re Dale Parsons. | 你可是戴尔·帕森斯 |
[34:16] | True. | 没错 |
[34:17] | Okay, friendly conversation, then. | 友善的对话 来吧 |
[34:19] | Just, let’s not play the day and date game. | 有一点 别再玩几月几日的游戏了 |
[34:21] | So does that mean I can’t ask you | 就是说我不能问你关于 |
[34:22] | about July 12, 1999, | 1999年7月12日 |
[34:24] | August 27, 2003, | 2003年8月27日 |
[34:26] | October 11, 2008… | 2008年10月11日 |
[34:28] | Which were a Monday, a Wednesday and a Saturday. | 分别是周一 周三和周六 |
[34:30] | Very nice. | 答得好 |
[34:31] | Yes, they were. | 对 没错 |
[34:32] | You’re good. | 你的确厉害 |
[34:34] | You know what happened on those days? | 你还记得那些天发生了什么吗 |
[34:36] | You promised. | 你答应我的 |
[34:38] | Fine, why don’t I tell you | 行吧 不如我来告诉你 |
[34:39] | what happened on those days. | 那几天发生了什么吧 |
[34:42] | July 12, 1999. | 1999年7月12日 |
[34:44] | Tina Davis, murdered. | 缇娜·戴维斯 被谋杀 |
[34:46] | Strangled to death in her car. | 在车中被勒死 |
[34:49] | August 27, 2003. | 2003年8月27日 |
[34:52] | Lakshmi Patel, also murdered. | 拉克希米·帕蒂尔 同样被谋杀 |
[34:55] | October 11, 2008. | 2008年10月11日 |
[34:57] | Gloria Durning. | 格洛丽亚·唐宁 |
[34:59] | Same M.O. | 相同的作案手法 |
[34:59] | All of these young women murdered. | 所有这些年轻女性都被杀害了 |
[35:02] | You know any of them? | 有你认识的吗 |
[35:04] | You’re accusing me. | 你是在指控我 |
[35:05] | No. | 不 |
[35:06] | No, I’m asking you. | 不 我只是在问你 |
[35:07] | Now I do need a lawyer. | 现在我需要请律师了 |
[35:09] | You only need a lawyer if you’ve done something wrong. | 除非你做什么坏事了才需要律师 |
[35:10] | Besides, you’re smarter than any lawyer I know. | 况且 你比我见过的所有律师都聪明 |
[35:16] | I don’t know them. | 我不认识她们 |
[35:19] | Don’t remember them? | 不记得她们了吗 |
[35:22] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[35:24] | Don’t remember killing them? | 不记得你杀害她们了吗 |
[35:28] | You know, despite his terrible jokes, | 除了金·卢斯蒂格糟糕的笑话以外 |
[35:32] | Gene Lustig was one of the smartest men I ever met. | 他是见过最聪明的人之一 |
[35:35] | And he said something to me once, and it helped me a lot. | 他有次对我说了一番话 让我受益匪浅 |
[35:37] | He said that people like us, | 他说像我们这样的人 |
[35:40] | sometimes we need a vacation. | 有时候需要放个假 |
[35:42] | You know, from all the stuff in our heads. | 撇开脑子里所有的东西 |
[35:44] | You more than anyone, | 你比任何人都需要 |
[35:45] | because you were always the best of us. | 因为你一直是我们中最棒的 |
[35:48] | You admit it. | 你终于承认了 |
[35:49] | So you want to know what the secret is? | 你想知道这个秘密是什么吗 |
[35:55] | Adrenaline. | 肾上腺素 |
[35:58] | We crave it. | 我们迫切需要它 |
[36:00] | But not for the rush, not for the high. | 不是为了速度 不是为了兴奋 |
[36:02] | That’s for other people. | 这些是别人需要的 |
[36:03] | We crave it for the rest it gives us. | 我们需要的是它带给我们的休息 |
[36:07] | From ourselves. | 摆脱自我 |
[36:12] | Where were you… | 金被杀的 |
[36:14] | the morning Gene was murdered? | 那个早晨 你在哪 |
[36:17] | I was at home, asleep. | 我在家 睡觉 |
[36:19] | Okay. What time did you wake up? | 你几点起床的 |
[36:20] | 6:45. It’s my usual hour. | 6点45分 我通常都这个点起 |
[36:22] | It’s when I take the dogs out. | 我得那时出去遛狗 |
[36:24] | Anyone see you? | 有人看到你吗 |
[36:25] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[36:30] | Middle of a rainstorm: odd time to walk the dogs. | 下着暴风雨 不适合遛狗吧 |
[36:33] | They don’t mind the rain. | 它们不介意那点雨 |
[36:35] | Thunder must have bothered them, no? | 雷声肯定吓着它们了吧 |
[36:38] | It did, but hey, when you got to go, | 是吓着它们了 但当它们憋不住的时候 |
[36:40] | you got to go. | 还在乎什么天气 |
[36:42] | Speaking of which, if we’re done here… | 话说 如果我们谈完了 |
[36:45] | There was no storm the morning | 金·卢斯蒂格被杀的早晨 |
[36:47] | Gene Lustig was murdered. | 根本没有暴风雨 |
[36:48] | No rain. | 没下雨 |
[36:50] | No thunder. | 也没打雷 |
[36:58] | I’ll lay it out for you. | 我来帮你分析一下 |
[37:01] | See, I thought you lied about the Vermeer | 我本以为你谎称去看维米尔的画 |
[37:03] | to cover up where you were | 是为你杀害瓦莱丽·约翰森 |
[37:04] | when you killed Valerie Johnson. | 制造不在场证明 |
[37:06] | But she was murdered in the morning. | 但她是早上被杀的 |
[37:08] | And you said you were went to the Met in the afternoon, | 你说你下午去了大都会博物馆 |
[37:09] | so I thought to myself… why lie? | 所以我问自己 你为什么要说谎 |
[37:13] | Why make up an alibi you don’t need? | 为什么要编一个你不需要的不在场证明 |
[37:17] | But you weren’t lying, were you? | 但你并没有说谎 对吗 |
[37:19] | You forgot. | 是你忘了 |
[37:21] | Because when you murder people, | 因为当你杀害像这些 |
[37:22] | like these young women, you forget. | 年轻女性时 你就能忘记 |
[37:25] | That’s why you do it. | 这就是你的杀人动机 |
[37:26] | Not Gene and Alwyn. | 但杀金和埃尔文则出于别的原因 |
[37:28] | You killed them to cover your tracks. | 你杀他们是为了掩饰漏洞 |
[37:29] | But I bet you don’t remember | 但我打赌你不记得 |
[37:31] | what happened afterwards, do you? | 之后的事情了 对吗 |
[37:33] | You have no idea what you’re talking about. | 你根本不知道你在说什么 |
[37:35] | Yes, I do. | 不 我知道 |
[37:37] | You know I do. | 你心里很清楚 |
[37:40] | The adrenaline unleashed by the act of violence | 因暴力行为刺激而分泌的肾上腺素 |
[37:44] | helps you to forget your painful life. | 帮你忘记了你痛苦的生活 |
[37:47] | – Which becomes more miserable – No, you’re… you are wrong. | -可后来变得更痛苦 -不 你错了 |
[37:49] | – When you finally, inevitably… – No. No, that is… | -因为你最终 不可避免地 -不 那是 |
[37:51] | Remember what you’ve done. | 想起了你的所作所为 |
[37:52] | And then you kill again. | 然后你又去杀人 |
[37:53] | To forget, again. | 为了再次忘记 |
[37:55] | You’re an addict, Dale. | 你上瘾了 戴尔 |
[37:59] | You’re addicted to murder. | 你杀人成瘾 |
[38:02] | You don’t understand. | 你不理解 |
[38:03] | Of course I understand. | 我当然理解 |
[38:07] | I’m the only one who does. | 我是唯一理解的人 |
[38:12] | How long do you get? | 你能解脱多久 |
[38:16] | A few minutes? | 几分钟 |
[38:17] | A few hours, a whole day? | 几个小时 一整天 |
[38:18] | How long? | 多久 |
[38:25] | Sometimes more than a day. | 有时不止一天 |
[38:30] | The first time… | 第一次 |
[38:33] | it was a cat. | 是只猫 |
[38:35] | It was a stupid neighborhood cat, | 一个邻居养的笨猫 |
[38:37] | and he kept howling and howling. | 他一直叫啊叫 |
[38:39] | And when I put my fingers around its neck, | 当我用手掐着它的脖子 |
[38:42] | and I squeezed… | 然后收紧时 |
[38:46] | it was like I was here… | 我头一次感觉到 |
[38:49] | for the first time. | 我还活着 |
[38:52] | Just here, now. | 只活在当下 |
[38:54] | Not five minutes ago, not 20 minutes ago, | 不是五分钟前 不是二十分钟前 |
[38:57] | not 20 years ago, | 不是二十年前 |
[38:59] | when my father did those things, | 当我父亲做那些事时 |
[39:03] | and when those boys did those things, | 当那些男孩做那些事时 |
[39:06] | because I was different. | 因为我和别人不一样 |
[39:09] | Because I was the one who was always telling them | 因为我一直告诉他们 |
[39:10] | that they were wrong, because they were always wrong. | 他们错了 因为他们一直都是错的 |
[39:14] | They never remembered anything. | 他们从不记得任何事 |
[39:19] | And Valerie… | 至于瓦莱丽 |
[39:26] | the last thing I remember | 我记得的最后一件事是 |
[39:28] | was the light fading from her eyes | 她眼眸中的光渐渐黯淡 |
[39:32] | like a torch down a well. | 就像火把的火光渐渐熄灭 |
[39:35] | And then it was a miracle. | 那是个奇迹 |
[39:39] | It was a whole, long, blissful day of peace. | 一整天 幸福而平静 |
[39:47] | At least I think it was. | 至少我这样认为 |
[39:51] | I don’t remember. | 我不记得了 |
[39:56] | Peace? | 平静 |
[40:03] | I want you | 我想让你 |
[40:05] | to look at these women. | 看着这些女人 |
[40:09] | I want you to study their faces. | 我想让你仔细看看她们的脸 |
[40:14] | I want you… to remember them. | 我想让你 记住她们 |
[40:20] | Because from now on, forgetting is not an option. | 因为从现在起 你不可能忘记了 |
[40:45] | Nice work. | 干得漂亮 |
[40:46] | That was amazing. | 太棒了 |
[41:08] | There you are. | 找到你了 |
[41:10] | Carrie Wells, on behalf of the Memory Studies Group, | 凯莉·威尔斯 我代表记忆研究小组 |
[41:13] | it gives me great pleasure | 十分荣幸地 |
[41:15] | to present you with this check for $100 U.S. | 给你这张一百美元支票 |
[41:19] | Wow, Gene, $100. | 金 一百美元 |
[41:22] | Along with an infinite amount of gratitude | 还有向你表示无限的感谢 |
[41:25] | on behalf of… me. | 代表 我自己 |
[41:29] | You know, you can grow that money, | 你可以让它增值 |
[41:31] | or you can just piddle it away. | 或者拿去打发时间 |
[41:33] | Maybe I’ll do both. | 也许我可以二者兼顾 |
[41:36] | Let me guess. Texas hold ’em? | 让我猜猜 德州扑克 |
[41:37] | Blackjack, actually. | 其实是21点 |
[41:38] | Scientifically sanctioned. | 科学认可的 |
[41:40] | A little benign forgetting. | 一点有益身心的忘记 |
[41:44] | What are you gonna do now? | 你现在有什么打算 |
[41:49] | Keep moving, I guess. | 继续生活吧 |
[41:52] | Just a word of advice from a new old friend? | 一个刚认识的老朋友给你几句忠告 |
[41:57] | The past has lessons for us, | 过去能留给我们经验教训 |
[41:58] | but the present is where we live. | 但我们活在当下 |
[42:01] | And nothing brings us into the present like a goal. | 只有目标能让我们投身于生活 |
[42:04] | A task that uses | 一个让你用尽 |
[42:06] | all your powers, including… | 全部力量的任务 |
[42:13] | You said you were a cop. | 你说过你曾是个警察 |
[42:17] | It was too hard. | 那太难了 |
[42:22] | But, Carrie, if anybody ever need a mission, | 但凯莉 你现在最需要的 |
[42:26] | it’s you. | 是一个使命 |
[42:28] | When you find one, let me know. | 当你找到的时候 一定告诉我 |
[42:35] | Gene? | 金 |
[42:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[42:57] | I’m taking off. | 我走了 |
[43:00] | Think I’ll stick around. | 我再待会儿 |