时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on Genius… | |
[00:02] | I need help, someone to work alongside me. | 我需要帮助 找人和我一起工作 |
[00:05] | Do you have someone particular in mind? | 你心里有合适的人选了吗 |
[00:06] | Time is not absolute. | 时间不是绝对的 |
[00:13] | Holy hell. | 天呐 |
[00:14] | I’ve devised my own principle of relativity. | 所以我设想了自己的相对论 |
[00:17] | It’s the redefinition of the universe. | 这重新定义了宇宙 |
[00:19] | This is what we’ve been chasing. | 就是我们一直在追逐的 |
[00:21] | You thanked Michele. | 你感谢米凯勒 |
[00:22] | Of course I thanked him. | 当然要感谢他 |
[00:24] | But I’ve helped you with so many papers, | 但是我帮你写了这么多论文 |
[00:26] | but you never thought to put my name in any of them. | 但是你从未想过也让我的名字出现在论文里 |
[00:29] | It never occurred to me. | 我是没想到 |
[00:30] | Dr. Curie. | 居里博士 |
[00:31] | You are to be awarded | 他们要授予你 |
[00:32] | the 1903 Nobel Prize in Physics. | 1903年诺贝尔物理学奖 |
[00:35] | Please inform the Nobel committee | 请告诉诺贝尔委员会 |
[00:36] | that I will not accept the prize | 如果他们不让我妻子和我一起获奖 |
[00:37] | if they do not honor my wife alongside me. | 我是不会接受的 |
[00:40] | This patent clerk in Bern. | 比如说伯尔尼的这个专利员 |
[00:41] | He has cited us both in his paper on… | 他在一篇论文中引用了我们俩 |
[00:44] | Light quanta, yes, indeed. You see? | 光量子 没错 瞧 |
[00:46] | Einstein. | 爱因斯坦 |
[00:47] | It’s fascinating what one can deduce | 人们仅从一个人的名字 |
[00:48] | about a man just by knowing his name. | 就能做出的推断真让人咂舌 |
[00:51] | I’m here at the behest of Professor Max Planck. | 我受麦克斯·普朗克教授之邀前来 |
[00:53] | The father of Prussian physics? | 普鲁士物理学之父吗 |
[00:54] | – Tell me, are you working on anything else? – Yes. | -你有其他的研究吗 -其实有 |
[00:57] | Herr Einstein, it’s… genius. | 爱因斯坦先生 这…太天才了 |
[01:11] | 《我的战争》 | |
[01:29] | 天才 | |
[01:37] | 伯格霍兹里诊所 苏黎世 1932年 | |
[01:42] | Stop! | 停下 |
[01:43] | Please, stop. | 求你了 停下 |
[01:54] | May I come in? | 我能进来吗 |
[01:58] | My name is Dr. Carl Jung. | 我是卡尔·荣格医生 |
[02:01] | I’m a friend of your father’s. | 是你父亲的朋友 |
[02:22] | Can you tell me why you wanted to hurt yourself, Eduard? | 你能告诉我为什么要伤害自己吗 爱德华 |
[02:29] | 二十二年前 苏黎世 瑞士 | |
[02:31] | Don’t cry, little one. | 别哭 小家伙 二十二年前 苏黎世 瑞士 |
[02:35] | When I come home, I’ll play you some Mozart. | 等我回来给你拉莫扎特 |
[02:36] | Maybe someday you’ll be a beautiful violinist like your papa. | 可能有朝一日你会是跟爸爸一样好的小提琴手 |
[02:39] | Practice your piano, Albertli. | 练习钢琴 小爱 |
[02:41] | Later we’ll play that nice minuet | 晚点我们会演奏你为爱德华 |
[02:42] | you’ve been learning for baby Eduard. | 准备的小步舞曲 |
[02:44] | He doesn’t sound good at all. | 他听起来不太好 |
[02:47] | I can stay if you need me, Miza. | 如果你需要我可以留下 米扎 |
[02:49] | We’ll be all right. | 我们没事 |
[02:50] | You’re just nervous about your lecture. | 你只是对上课有点紧张 |
[02:52] | I suppose I can’t be any more boring | 我想我总不会比又胖又老的 |
[02:54] | than fat, old Professor Pernet. | 佩内特教授更加无聊吧 |
[02:56] | You’ll do fine, Albert. | 你会做得很好 阿尔伯特 |
[02:58] | You’ve waited a long time for this professorship. | 你等这教授一职已经太久了 |
[03:22] | so… | 那么 |
[03:22] | good-good morning. | 早上好 |
[03:25] | I think… | 我想… |
[03:29] | Newton’s, uh, second law, uh, acceleration | 牛顿的 第二定律 加速度 |
[03:35] | in response to any force is, um… | 与任何力的关系是… |
[03:45] | Actually, let’s-let’s start with his, uh, | 不如让我们从他的 |
[03:47] | principle of-of gravity. | 引力定律开始 |
[03:54] | A-A force directly proportional to the product of two masses | 这种力正比于两物体质量的乘积 |
[04:00] | and inversely proportional… | 并且反比于… |
[04:08] | You all seem a bit restless. | 你们看起来都焦躁不安 |
[04:11] | Who’d like to join me for a walk? | 谁愿意跟我出去走走 |
[04:18] | Why are we walking, Herr Professor? | 为什么我们在散步 教授先生 |
[04:20] | Because I’m a terrible lecturer, | 因为我是个糟糕的授课者 |
[04:22] | but I’m not a bad talker. | 但不是个不会说话的人 |
[04:25] | You must have questions. | 你们一定有疑问 |
[04:27] | Physics tries to explain the entire universe. | 物理学试着解释整个宇宙 |
[04:31] | Who doesn’t have questions about that? | 谁对此没有疑问呢 |
[04:34] | Look at the sky. | 看着天空 |
[04:35] | Who can tell me why it’s blue? | 谁能告诉我为什么是蓝色的 |
[04:37] | Something to do with scattering of light? | 跟光的散射有关吗 |
[04:39] | That’s what the books tell you. | 那是书上写的 |
[04:41] | But what makes the light scatter? | 但是是什么东西让光散射了呢 |
[04:44] | Believe it or not, nobody knows. | 无论你信不信 没人知道 |
[04:48] | Maybe we can work it out together. | 或许我们可以一起解决 |
[04:52] | It’s not consumption, is it? | 不是肺痨吧 是吗 |
[04:54] | He’ll be fine. | 他会好的 |
[04:55] | – Just a slight croup. – Are you sure? | -只是一点哮吼 -你确定吗 |
[04:57] | I can’t lose another child. I-I couldn’t bear it. | 我不能再失去一个孩子了 我无法承受 |
[05:00] | Frankly, I’m more concerned about your hysteria | 老实说 比起这孩子的咳嗽 |
[05:02] | than the child’s cough. | 我更担心你的癔症 |
[05:06] | I’m not hysterical. I’m tired. | 我没有疯 我只是累了 |
[05:09] | Your emotional reactions are disproportionate. | 你的情绪反应失衡 |
[05:11] | Do you think it’s easy looking after two children and a husband? | 你以为照顾两个孩子和丈夫是很容易的事情吗 |
[05:15] | May I ask, | 请容我一问 |
[05:16] | are you having relations with your husband? | 你和你丈夫有发生关系吗 |
[05:19] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[05:20] | It is a medical fact: | 这是医学事实 |
[05:22] | a woman’s organs do not function properly | 女人的内脏不会很好的运转 |
[05:24] | if she’s not meeting her husband’s needs. | 如果她无法满足丈夫的需求 |
[05:31] | And so Mach’s principle throws doubt | 于是马赫原理对牛顿 |
[05:35] | on Newton’s explanation for the spinning bucket of water. | 旋转水桶的解释产生了质疑 |
[05:38] | So does your theory, Professor. | 您的理论也是如此 教授 |
[05:41] | You know my work? | 你了解我的论文 |
[05:42] | I’ve read special relativity a dozen times, | 狭义相对论我读了十几遍 |
[05:45] | but I have a question. | 但是我有一个问题 |
[05:46] | Just one? I’ve got hundreds myself. | 才一个 我自己都有好几百个 |
[05:50] | Special relativity only applies to constant speeds. | 狭义相对论只适用于恒定速度 |
[05:53] | What about acceleration? | 那么加速度呢 |
[05:56] | That’s a question I’ve been struggling with for years, | 这是我多年来一直研究的问题 |
[05:59] | but, unfortunately, I’m late for an appointment. | 但是 不巧 我约会要迟到了 |
[06:17] | You look handsome tonight, Babu. | 你今晚真帅 亲爱的 |
[06:19] | Not now, Miza. | 现在不行 米扎 |
[06:21] | It’s okay, the children are asleep. | 没关系的 孩子都睡了 |
[06:24] | Please, get dressed. We’re going to be late. | 拜托 去换衣服 我们要迟到了 |
[06:28] | The last thing I want to do is paint on a smile | 我最不想做的事就是挤出微笑 |
[06:30] | and chatter about the weather with strangers. | 跟陌生人闲扯天气 |
[06:34] | We hardly ever have any time for ourselves anymore. | 我们几乎都没有属于我们自己的时间 |
[06:37] | Please, Miza, you look very beautiful, | 米扎 你看起来特别漂亮 |
[06:40] | but this invitation is an honor. | 但是这个邀请是个荣誉 |
[06:41] | We cannot cancel. | 我们不能取消 |
[06:46] | Perhaps you should go without me. | 或许你应该自己去 |
[06:51] | As you wish. | 随你吧 |
[06:58] | Brandy | 白兰地 |
[06:59] | No, thank you, Dr. Jung. | 不 谢谢 荣格教授 |
[07:01] | It makes my thoughts fuzzy. | 那会让我的思维混乱 |
[07:04] | you like to be in control. | 您喜欢一切尽在掌控 |
[07:05] | This is my laboratory, after all. | 毕竟这是我是实验室 |
[07:08] | And this, this is mine. | 这个 这是我的 |
[07:11] | It’s a pity your wife isn’t well, but I’m glad you’re here. | 很遗憾您妻子身体不适 但是很高兴您能来 |
[07:13] | I’ve been wanting to discuss your paper: | 我一直想请教一下您的论文 |
[07:16] | “Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies.” | 《运动物体的电动力学》 |
[07:18] | I believe your colleagues refer to it as, | 我相信您的同事把它称为 |
[07:20] | uh, special relativity. | 狭义相对论 |
[07:24] | Have I said something to upset you? | 我说什么让您不高兴的了吗 |
[07:28] | Honestly, I-I wish I could just move beyond the damn theory. | 说实话 我希望自己能超越这该死的理论 |
[07:31] | It makes me feel like a, like a charlatan. | 这让我觉得自己像个江湖骗子 |
[07:35] | A charlatan? | 江湖骗子 |
[07:38] | It’s, uh, it’s groundbreaking. | 这是开拓性的 |
[07:40] | Perhaps, but it only covers a specialized circumstance. | 可能吧 但它只覆盖了特定范围 |
[07:43] | Speed’s not always constant. | 速度并不是恒定的 |
[07:45] | The world is spinning. That’s a form of acceleration. | 世界在转动 这是加速度的一种 |
[07:49] | The theory disregards that entirely | 理论并没有完全摒弃 |
[07:50] | and it says nothing at all about gravity. | 而且并没有提到重力 |
[07:54] | The theory is still incomplete. I’m stalled. | 理论还不完整 我被困住了 |
[07:57] | And to make matters worse, I’ve been asked to lecture on it | 更糟糕的是 我受邀在萨尔斯堡的 |
[07:59] | at a conference in Salzburg. | 一个会议上讲这个理论 |
[08:02] | I’m thinking about saying no. | 我在考虑拒绝掉 |
[08:05] | Oh. I imagine you’d disappoint a lot of people. | 我能想象这会让许多人失望 |
[08:07] | I despise lecturing; it-it unnerves me. | 我讨厌演讲 那会让我焦虑 |
[08:14] | I can’t believe I prattled on like that. | 我简直不敢相信我对此喋喋不休 |
[08:16] | I can have that effect on people. | 我能对人产生影响 |
[08:19] | With my patients, I’ve found | 通过我的患者 |
[08:21] | whatever’s troubling them on the surface, | 我发现不论表面上多困惑 |
[08:23] | fear of speaking, for example, | 比如惧怕讲话 |
[08:25] | there’s something much more fascinating | 潜意识里总潜藏着 |
[08:28] | lurking in the unconscious. | 更引人入胜的东西 |
[08:31] | With respect, Doctor, I’d rather not be analyzed. | 无意冒犯 医生 但是我不喜欢被分析 |
[08:34] | I’d prefer to remain in the dark. | 我还是喜欢待在黑暗里 |
[08:37] | Forgive me. | 原谅我 |
[08:38] | I invited you here for a chat, not analysis. | 我邀请您来聊天的 不是分析的 |
[08:43] | But may I offer a friendly piece of advice? | 但是我能友好地提个建议吗 |
[08:46] | How can I refuse? | 这我怎么好拒绝呢 |
[08:48] | A man can’t avoid his fears. | 人是无法避免自身的恐惧的 |
[08:52] | To overcome them, | 若想克服恐惧 |
[08:53] | he must face them, pass through the inferno. | 他必须穿过地狱直面恐惧 |
[09:01] | 奥地利 萨尔斯堡 | |
[09:27] | Mezzanine, please. | 底层 谢谢 |
[09:46] | Mezzanine, sir. | 底层到了 先生 |
[10:02] | Good afternoon, Professor. | 教授下午好 |
[10:05] | Are you feeling all right? | 你没事吧 |
[10:08] | Professor Planck, Professor Minkowski, I… | 普朗克教授 闵可夫斯基教授 我 |
[10:11] | Spit it out, Einstein. | 说吧 爱因斯坦 |
[10:12] | This is no time to be tongue-tied. | 没时间口吃了 |
[10:13] | You’re this afternoon’s headliner, after all. | 毕竟您是今天下午的焦点 |
[10:18] | Frankly, I never imagined | 说实话 我从未想象到 |
[10:20] | a student I once called a lazy dog | 一个曾经被我叫做懒蛋的学生 |
[10:22] | would produce something as beautiful as special relativity. | 能够创造出像狭义相对论这么绝妙的理论 |
[10:24] | Indeed. Our colleagues have been anticipating | 确实 我们同事们已经期待你的讲座 |
[10:27] | your lecture for weeks. | 好几个星期了 |
[10:28] | Your theory is all we talk about. | 我们谈论的都是你的理论 |
[10:57] | I know what you are all expecting to hear, but… | 我知道你们都想听什么 但是 |
[11:01] | today, I would like to talk to you | 今天 我想跟大家讲一讲 |
[11:04] | about something other than relativity. | 相对论之外的事情 |
[11:22] | According to the prevailing theory, an oscillating… | 根据当下盛行的理论 一个振荡的… |
[11:26] | …the next stage in the development of theoretical… | 在理论方面发展的下一阶段 |
[11:29] | …and emission theories applies | …微粒说适用于 |
[11:31] | to the following conjecture. | 如下推论 |
[11:33] | …can only assume energy… | …只能假设能量… |
[11:40] | And so… | 这样一来 |
[11:42] | if we accept Professor Planck’s constant, | 如果我们接受普朗克教授的常数 |
[11:46] | it means, in short, | 简而言之 那就意味着 |
[11:50] | that much of what we thought we knew about light… | 我们所认为的对光的认知 |
[11:55] | is wrong. | 是错误的 |
[12:09] | Bravo! | 太棒了 |
[12:18] | Brilliant, Albert. | 你真棒 阿尔伯特 |
[12:19] | But why on earth didn’t you lecture on relativity? | 但你究竟为什么不讲相对论呢 |
[12:24] | When I saw you in the front row, sir, | 当我看到你坐在前排 先生 |
[12:26] | I-I… I had an inspiration. | 我突发奇想 |
[12:29] | You see, your work is the foundation… | 你的研究是基础 |
[12:31] | Professor Einstein. | 爱因斯坦教授 |
[12:33] | Do forgive the interruption. | 抱歉打扰了 |
[12:36] | Count Von Sturgkh, | 冯·施图尔克伯爵 |
[12:37] | Minister of Education for the Austro-Hungarian Empire. | 奥匈帝国教育部部长 |
[12:40] | I wanted to inform you that there is a post open | 我想告诉你 有个职位空缺 |
[12:43] | for a Professor of Theoretical Physics | 理论物理学教授 |
[12:45] | at Karl-Ferdinand University in Prague. | 在布拉格的卡尔·费迪南德大学 |
[12:48] | We would be honored to add you to our faculty. | 如果您加入我们的队伍 我们将非常荣幸 |
[12:53] | Well, I’m flattered. | 真是受宠若惊 |
[12:55] | I think you’ll find our terms quite generous. | 你会发现我们开出的条件非常优厚 |
[12:57] | Limited teaching duties. | 较少的授课任务 |
[12:59] | Ample time to focus on your own work. | 还有充裕的时间来做自己的研究 |
[13:01] | Well, that doesn’t sound too terrible, does it? | 听上去不错嘛 |
[13:03] | Wonderful. | 太棒了 |
[13:05] | One more question. | 还有一个问题 |
[13:07] | They want me to declare a religion. | 他们想让我声明宗教信仰 |
[13:09] | What has that got to do with teaching physics? | 这和教物理有什么关系 |
[13:12] | It’s called the Holy Crown for a reason, Albert. | 圣冠的名字不是没来由的 阿尔伯特 |
[13:15] | You must at least pretend to believe in God | 你必须至少假装自己相信上帝 |
[13:17] | if you want them to hire you. | 如果你还想要他们招你的话 |
[13:18] | Perhaps I’m being foolish. | 也许是我犯糊涂了 |
[13:19] | Why would I leave democratic Switzerland to work | 我为什么要离开民主瑞士 |
[13:22] | for a medieval, warmongering monarchy? | 而去一个原始好斗的君主国家工作呢 |
[13:24] | Since when do you care about | 你什么时候开始关心 |
[13:25] | – the stupidities of politics? – I don’t. | -政治的愚蠢性了 -我不关心 |
[13:28] | I care about completing my theory. | 我只想完成我的理论 |
[13:30] | Well, there’s your answer. | 那你有去向了 |
[13:31] | You’ve been complaining about not having time. | 你总是在抱怨没时间 |
[13:34] | Swallow your pride and admit you’re a Jew. | 收起你的骄傲 承认自己是个犹太人吧 |
[13:36] | A Jew? Oh, they’ll love that. | 犹太人 他们会爱死这点的 |
[13:57] | 奥地利 维也纳 美泉宫 | |
[14:31] | Professor Einstein, | 爱因斯坦教授 |
[14:33] | Von Sturgkh here tells me | 冯·施图尔克告诉我 |
[14:35] | you’re one of the greatest minds in Europe. | 你是欧洲最聪明的人之一 |
[14:38] | He’s being too kind, Your Majesty. | 他过奖了 陛下 |
[14:43] | He also tells me you’re a Jew. | 他还告诉我 你是个犹太人 |
[14:50] | Yes. | 是的 |
[14:51] | Well, my parents… | 我父母 |
[14:53] | You understand, we are not like the Prussians. | 你要知道 我们不像普鲁士人 |
[14:57] | Herr Einstein, we have no quarrel with the Jews, | 爱因斯坦先生 我们和犹太人没有纠葛 |
[15:02] | as long as you are God-fearing. | 只要你敬畏上帝 |
[15:09] | I am, Your Majesty. | 我敬畏的 陛下 |
[15:12] | Terrified, actually. | 简直畏惧 |
[15:18] | 苏黎世大学 | |
[15:19] | I’d like to continue our work together, | 我想要继续我们的工作 苏黎世大学 |
[15:21] | so why don’t you come to Prague with me, Jakob? | 要不你和我一起去布拉格 雅各布 |
[15:23] | Maybe I could get you a position at the University. | 或许我能在大学里给你安排个职位 |
[15:26] | We’d have time to work on accelerated motion. | 我们就有时间一起研究加速运动了 |
[15:30] | Albert, I’m flattered, | 阿尔伯特 我很欣慰 |
[15:32] | but I’ve received another offer. | 但我收到了另一个邀请 |
[15:34] | A professorship? | 教授职位吗 |
[15:35] | No. Assistant to Philipp Lenard. | 不 去当菲利普·勒纳的助手 |
[15:38] | Well, Lenard’s a genius. Of course, you must accept. | 勒纳是个天才 你当然要接受邀请 |
[15:41] | Yes, but he’s got a bit of a reputation. | 是的 但他的名声有点坏 |
[15:45] | Quite a taskmaster, apparently. | 都说他逼得很紧 |
[15:48] | Honestly, I get a pit in my stomach just thinking about it. | 老实说 我想想都有点害怕 |
[15:51] | I know how you feel. | 我明白你的感受 |
[15:53] | In Salzburg, I was so nervous before my lecture, | 在萨尔斯堡的时候 我讲课前很紧张 |
[15:55] | I thought my heart was going to stop right in the elevator. | 我以为我的心脏都要在电梯里停跳了 |
[16:00] | Actually, I… I imagined something very strange, | 事实上 我是想到了一些奇怪的东西 |
[16:05] | as though the elevator were falling, | 仿佛电梯在下坠一样 |
[16:08] | and I was just floating inside it. | 而我漂浮在其中 |
[16:18] | It was terrifying at first… | 一开始感觉很吓人 |
[16:20] | …but then, suddenly, it was as if, well… | 但之后 突然间 就好像 |
[16:26] | …as if I had no weight at all. | 好像我完全失去了重量 |
[16:34] | Because a falling man does not feel his own weight. | 因为一个正在坠落的人感受不到自身重量 |
[16:39] | Me, | 我 |
[16:40] | the floor, my papers, | 地板 我的论文 |
[16:41] | were all falling at the same rate, | 都在以同样的速率下坠 |
[16:43] | so I couldn’t feel the pressure of the floor on my feet. | 所以我感受不到地板对我脚的压力 |
[16:46] | But what if the elevator was rising? | 但如果电梯在上升呢 |
[16:51] | I’d be accelerating in the opposite direction. | 我就会向反方向加速 |
[16:54] | It would produce the opposite effect. | 它会产生反作用力 |
[16:55] | You’d feel the floor. | 你就会感受到地板 |
[16:56] | I’d be glued to it, | 我就会像黏在上面一样 |
[16:58] | as I am now. | 就像现在一样 |
[16:59] | But that’s gravity. | 但那是重力 |
[17:01] | Exactly! | 没错 |
[17:05] | I should have seen it before. | 我早该想到了 |
[17:07] | It is so simple, so beautiful. | 那么简单 那么优雅 |
[17:10] | Acceleration and gravity are the same thing. | 加速度和重力是一回事 |
[17:14] | This is the idea I’ve been missing to complete relativity. | 这就是我完成相对论所缺少的想法 |
[17:19] | This may just be one of the happiest thoughts of my life. | 这可能是我人生中最让我开心的想法之一了 |
[17:28] | I know you’ve been unhappy here, | 我知道你在这里不开心 |
[17:30] | but things will be better in Prague. | 但到了布拉格一切都会变好的 |
[17:32] | Why should I be happy in a new city? | 为什么我去新城市就会开心 |
[17:34] | It will just be more of the same. | 伤心只会有增无减 |
[17:37] | Wash dishes, | 洗碗 |
[17:38] | change diapers, buy groceries. | 换尿布 买菜 |
[17:42] | I might as well be a mule tied to a cart. | 我还不如做一头拴在车前的骡子 |
[17:46] | When do I get to use my mind? | 我什么时候才能用上我的大脑 |
[17:48] | Miza, you’ve had dark moods since you were a child. | 米扎 你从小就经历过坏心情 |
[17:50] | It will pass. | 会过去的 |
[17:51] | This is not a mood, Mama! | 这不是一种心情 妈妈 |
[17:54] | I’m suffocating. | 我快窒息了 |
[17:55] | You should count your blessings. | 你应该想想你多有福气 |
[17:57] | There was a time I thought you would | 有段时间我还以为 |
[17:58] | never have a man at all. | 根本不会有男人要你 |
[18:03] | Maybe I would have been better off without one. | 可能没有男人我还会好过一些 |
[18:06] | How can you say that? | 你怎么可以这么说 |
[18:09] | What about your children? | 你的孩子怎么办 |
[18:25] | Don’t listen to Mama, Eduard. | 别听妈妈胡说八道 爱德华 |
[18:31] | Sometimes Mama gets sad. | 有时候妈妈会伤心 |
[18:38] | People don’t try to kill themselves for no reason, Eduard. | 人们不会无缘无故自杀 爱德华 |
[18:42] | You must be in despair about something. | 你一定是对什么事感到绝望 |
[18:44] | Trouble with a woman, | 和女人的纠缠 |
[18:47] | or a disappointment at school. | 或在学校被冷落 |
[19:00] | I’m sorry. | 不好意思 |
[19:02] | Do you-do you mind if I smoke? | 你介意我抽烟吗 |
[19:08] | It reminds me of my father. | 这会让我想起我的父亲 |
[19:12] | When was the last time you saw your father? | 你最近一次见到你父亲是什么时候 |
[19:14] | Not for years. | 好多年前了 |
[19:17] | That must be, uh, difficult. | 这一定对你来说很艰难 |
[19:19] | No. | 不 |
[19:22] | No, it’s not hard at all. | 不 一点都不难 |
[19:24] | You see… | 你要知道… |
[19:28] | …I hate him. | 我恨他 |
[19:33] | 布拉格 1911年 | |
[19:34] | Prague’s a caste system. | 布拉格有阶级体系 |
[19:36] | Germans on top, Jews in the middle | 德国人在上层 犹太人在中层 |
[19:39] | and the poor Czechs beneath them both. | 可怜的捷克人在底层 |
[19:41] | Why does anyone put up with it? | 为什么大家都能受得了 |
[19:43] | It has one advantage. | 它有一个好处 |
[19:45] | They say that suffering is necessary for art. | 据说做艺术一定要受苦 |
[19:48] | Ah, so you’re an artist. | 所以你是个艺术家 |
[19:50] | I could claim to be a writer, | 我可以自称是作家 |
[19:51] | but the truth is | 但事实上 |
[19:53] | I work in a civil service office. | 我做着公务员的工作 |
[19:57] | It’s killing my soul. | 这让我的灵魂倍受煎熬 |
[19:58] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[19:59] | I worked as a clerk for many years. | 我做过许多年的职员 |
[20:01] | Did it make you feel like a cockroach? | 有没有让你觉得自己像一只蟑螂 |
[20:04] | What an interesting metaphor. | 这比喻真有意思 |
[20:06] | You think so? | 你这么觉得吗 |
[20:07] | Professor, I see you’ve met Herr Kafka. | 教授 看来你见过卡夫卡先生了 |
[20:11] | Franz is too shy to tell you, | 弗兰兹不好意思告诉你 |
[20:12] | but he’s published some short stories. | 但他已经出版了几篇短篇小说 |
[20:15] | They are quite modern. | 文章十分现代 |
[20:18] | I think intellect is the most fascinating part of a man. | 我认为男人最有魅力的就是智慧 |
[20:22] | I find Czech an interesting language. | 我发现捷克语是一种很有趣的语言 |
[20:24] | Slavonic, but without the Cyrillic alphabet. | 属于斯拉夫语系 但又没有西里尔字母 |
[20:28] | It must be so intimidating being married to a genius. | 嫁给一个天才一定很可怕吧 |
[20:32] | I’d always be afraid to say something stupid. | 我一直都很怕会讲出傻话来 |
[20:39] | Not at all. | 一点也不 |
[20:42] | He’s the one who’s always being foolish. | 他才是经常犯傻的那个 |
[20:48] | Albert, I’ve got a headache. Take me home. | 阿尔伯特 我头疼 带我回家 |
[21:00] | If it’s not your hip, it’s your head. | 不是屁股 就是头 |
[21:01] | When was the last time you actually enjoyed yourself? | 你上一次真正玩得开心是什么时候了 |
[21:04] | It’s not my fault everyone in this city is rude. | 这个城市的每个人都如此粗鲁不是我的错 |
[21:07] | They’re rude? | 他们粗鲁吗 |
[21:08] | You spent the night scowling | 你一整晚都闷闷不乐 |
[21:09] | like a scolded child. | 像个被骂了的孩子 |
[21:11] | We don’t know anyone in this city. | 我们在这座城市谁都不认识 |
[21:12] | I thought you’d want to meet people. | 我以为你想认识些人 |
[21:14] | Then why didn’t you introduce me to anyone? | 那你为什么不把我介绍给谁认识呢 |
[21:16] | It’s bad enough I’m invisible to everyone else, | 我被其他所有人忽略已经够糟的了 |
[21:18] | then you ignore me, too. | 然后还要被你忽略 |
[21:19] | – I was simply talking with other people. – Yes. | -我只是在和别人聊天 -是啊 |
[21:22] | You had plenty to say to that chesty brunette. | 你和那个大胸黑发女相谈甚欢啊 |
[21:27] | Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time | 别担心 布鲁塞尔的重要会议上 |
[21:29] | without me at your very important conference in Brussels. | 没有我你一定会玩得很开心 |
[21:33] | I’m surprised you’re not attending the Solvay Conference, | 很惊讶您不去参加索维尔会议 |
[21:36] | Herr Professor. | 教授 |
[21:37] | I’m far too busy to take time away | 我太忙了 抽不出空 |
[21:38] | 德国 海德堡 1911年 我太忙了 抽不出空 | |
[21:38] | for a trip to Brussels. | 去布鲁塞尔 德国 海德堡 1911年 |
[21:40] | I’m sure your colleagues will miss you. | 你的同僚们一定会想您的 |
[21:42] | Schinz, this is Laub. | 申茨 这位是劳布 |
[21:43] | He’s going to be working with us. | 他会和我们一起工作 |
[21:45] | Show him the equipment, explain our procedures. | 带他看看设备 解释一下我们的流程 |
[21:47] | Yes, Herr Professor. | 好的 教授 |
[21:51] | You shouldn’t have asked him about Solvay. | 你不应该问他索维尔的事 |
[21:53] | He wasn’t invited. | 他没有收到邀请 |
[21:55] | My God, how could I be so stupid? | 我的天 我怎么这么蠢 |
[21:59] | Now, you must tell me about Einstein. | 你一定要和我说说爱因斯坦 |
[22:01] | Is he as brilliant as everyone says? | 他真像其他人说的那么聪明吗 |
[22:05] | You are not a true gentleman, sir. | 你可不是个真君子 先生 |
[22:08] | And you are not a true blonde, madam. | 你也不是个真淑女 女士 |
[22:10] | 索尔维会议 布鲁塞尔 1911年 你也不是个真淑女 女士 | |
[22:13] | I must remember that one, Sommerfeld. | 我必须记住这一点 佐默费尔德 |
[22:18] | Isn’t that Madame Curie? | 那是居里夫人吗 |
[22:21] | What gave her away, the dress? | 你怎么判断的 裙子 |
[22:28] | Why isn’t anyone talking to her? | 为什么没人和她说话 |
[22:30] | Haven’t you heard? | 你没听说吗 |
[22:31] | She’s been cavorting around Paris with a married man. | 她和一个已婚男人在巴黎四处游玩 |
[22:36] | Why is that anyone’s business? | 那关别人什么事 |
[22:38] | It’s been splashed | 这几天法国报纸都 |
[22:39] | across the French papers for days. | 拿这事大做文章 |
[22:41] | It’s a terrible disgrace to her late husband. | 对她已故的丈夫来说可是奇耻大辱 |
[22:44] | Poincaire thinks | 庞加莱认为 |
[22:45] | she should be asked to leave the conference. | 她该被要求离场 |
[22:49] | Excuse me. | 失陪 |
[22:56] | Madame Curie. | 居里夫人 |
[22:59] | I’m Albert Einstein. | 我是阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 |
[23:01] | I’ve heard some gossip about you. | 我听说了一些关于你的传言 |
[23:04] | I’m sure you have. | 你肯定听说了 |
[23:05] | The rumor is… | 传言说 |
[23:07] | that you’re going to win another Nobel Prize. | 你将获得另一项诺贝尔奖 |
[23:14] | Don’t worry about them. | 别为他们而烦心 |
[23:15] | Their jokes are worse than their manners. | 他们的玩笑话比他们的举止更糟糕 |
[23:19] | Then you’ll fit right in, Herr Einstein. | 你会适应的 爱因斯坦先生 |
[23:25] | People floating weightless, | 人们无重力地漂浮 |
[23:27] | elevators flying through space. | 电梯在空间飞行 |
[23:29] | You have the imagination of a poet, not a scientist. | 你拥有诗人般的想象力 可不像科学家 |
[23:32] | You wouldn’t think so if you read my poetry. | 如果你读了我的诗就不会这么想了 |
[23:37] | Let’s assume you are right about acceleration and gravity. | 假设你对加速度和重力的判断是正确的 |
[23:41] | You had better prepare yourself for tremendous resistance | 你最好准备好应对来自同行的 |
[23:43] | from our colleagues. | 巨大阻力 |
[23:45] | You’ll be murdering one of their sacred cows. | 你这无疑是摧毁了他们心中神圣的信念 |
[23:48] | Sooner or later, they’ll realize that I’m right. | 迟不早晚 他们会意识到我是对的 |
[23:52] | Only if you can prove it. | 除非你能证明 |
[23:54] | I’d imagine the mathematics must be very complex. | 我想用数学证明的过程应该很复杂 |
[23:57] | If I was back in Zurich, | 如果我还在苏黎世 |
[23:59] | I’d have my friend Grossmann to help me. | 我朋友格罗斯曼还能帮我 |
[24:02] | But in Prague, my colleagues are all absolutely useless. | 但是在布拉格 我的同事都毫无用处 |
[24:06] | When Pierre was alive, | 皮埃尔在世时 |
[24:08] | we had the luxury of always being there to help each other. | 我们有幸能够一直互相帮助 |
[24:11] | I once had that with my wife. | 我和我妻子曾经也是 |
[24:14] | Ah, she’s also a scientist. | 她也是位科学家 |
[24:17] | She studied physics, yes. | 是的 她研究过物理 |
[24:19] | And now? | 现在呢 |
[24:30] | 约翰娜·施瓦兹【求校】 | |
[24:33] | I think, of all the mysteries in the universe, | 我认为 对我来说 宇宙的所有奥秘中 |
[24:36] | people are the hardest for me to fathom. | 人是最难理解的 |
[24:44] | But my wife is really quite brilliant. | 但是我妻子真的异常聪慧 |
[24:51] | Have you been with someone in Brussels? | 你和谁去布鲁塞尔了吗 |
[24:54] | With someone? | 和谁 |
[24:55] | What… what, what do you mean? | 你 这是什么意思 |
[24:57] | This woman. | 这个女人 |
[24:59] | Did she meet you there? | 她在那和你见面了吗 |
[25:09] | This is from that silly girl I met at that party. | 这是我在聚会上遇见的傻姑娘写的 |
[25:12] | Why is she writing to you in such a trifling way? | 她为什么用如此卑微的口吻写信给你 |
[25:17] | You can’t possibly be jealous, Miza. | 这不值得你嫉妒 米扎 |
[25:19] | Have you been intimate with her? | 你和她上床了吗 |
[25:21] | Intimate? I, I have never been unfaithful to you. | 上床 我从没对你不忠 |
[25:24] | How dare you! | 你怎么敢这么想 |
[25:28] | You certainly don’t seem interested in me anymore. | 因为你显然不再对我感兴趣了 |
[25:30] | Actually, you know what, Mileva? | 实际上 知道吗 米列娃 |
[25:32] | I was with a woman in Brussels. | 我是在布鲁塞尔见过一个女人 |
[25:33] | You admit it. | 你倒是承认了 |
[25:35] | It was your heroine, Marie Curie. | 是你的女英雄 居里夫人 |
[25:38] | I spent hours talking to her, | 我和她畅谈了数小时 |
[25:40] | told her all about you. | 和她讲了你的一切 |
[25:42] | She even said she’d want to meet you one day. | 她甚至说希望将来能见见你 |
[25:44] | But if she knew what a suspicious, jealous creature | 但是如果她知道你实际上是如此的多疑 |
[25:47] | you really are. | 善妒会怎样 |
[25:55] | Prague is even more beautiful than people say. | 布拉格比人们形容的美多了 |
[25:58] | Prague is a like pretty girl with a cold heart. | 布拉格就像一个内心冷漠的美丽姑娘 |
[26:01] | None of my colleagues are of any use to me. | 没有一个同事能帮到我 |
[26:04] | I’ve asked Grossmann to see | 我已经让格罗斯曼帮我看看 |
[26:05] | if he can help me get a position | 能否在苏黎世联邦理工学院 |
[26:06] | at Zurich Polytechnic. | 找个职位 |
[26:09] | Does Mileva want to move again so soon? | 米列娃能接受这么快就搬家吗 |
[26:12] | She hates it here. | 她讨厌这地方 |
[26:14] | But then, I don’t think she’d be happy anywhere. | 但我觉得 她在哪都不会开心 |
[26:17] | Forget about gloomy topics. | 别提这些破事了 |
[26:19] | What did you think of my elevator thought experiment? | 你觉得我的电梯假想实验怎么样 |
[26:21] | Mm. I’m still up in the air about it. | 我还不太确定 |
[26:24] | I’ve realized another wonderful consequence of my idea. | 我意识到我的想法得到了另一个奇妙的结果 |
[26:30] | Gravity bends light. | 重力使光扭曲 |
[26:34] | That is a completely new conception, Albert. | 这是个全新的概念 阿尔伯特 |
[26:37] | But even if you’re right, | 就算你是对的 |
[26:38] | you’d need a huge gravitational force to show it. | 你得用一个巨大的引力才能证明它 |
[26:42] | The sun would do, wouldn’t it? | 太阳的引力够大吧 |
[26:48] | Imagine that log is a particle of light. | 想象原木是一个光粒子 |
[26:52] | Now think of the river as space. | 把河看作是空间 |
[26:56] | And you see the barge, there? | 看到那的游船了吗 |
[26:59] | That’s the sun. | 那就是太阳 |
[27:00] | Now watch. | 接着看 |
[27:05] | The sun’s gravity changes the shape of space. | 太阳的引力改变了空间的形状 |
[27:10] | I will credit you for originality, Albert. | 我相信你的创造力 阿尔伯特 |
[27:13] | But is it possible that you’ve gone a bit too far? | 但是这会不会太异想天开了 |
[27:17] | No. It’s so beautiful that it must be right. | 才不会 这理论非常绝妙 肯定没错的 |
[27:20] | And an astronomer could prove it. | 天文学家可以证明这个理论 |
[27:23] | Then I suppose you’d better find a good astronomer. | 那你得去找一位够厉害的天文学家才行 |
[27:27] | I do know some astronomers at the University, | 我的确认识学校里的几位天文学家 |
[27:29] | but frankly, I’m reluctant to make an introduction. | 但坦白说 我不太想介绍你们认识 |
[27:33] | 普鲁士科学院 柏林 1912年 但坦白说 我不太想介绍你们认识 | |
[27:34] | Reluctant? Why? | 为什么不愿意 |
[27:37] | To be blunt, I don’t know | 说白了就是我不清楚 |
[27:38] | if it’s in your best interest. | 你对这方面是否真的感兴趣 |
[27:40] | How is it not in my interest to prove my theory? | 我对证明我的理论怎么会不感兴趣呢 |
[27:44] | It’s an outlandish idea, | 这个想法非常稀奇 |
[27:45] | and you might very well be proven wrong. | 你也很可能会被证明是错的 |
[27:48] | I’m not wrong. | 我没错 |
[27:49] | But e-even if I were, so what? | 就算错了 那又怎样 |
[27:51] | Scientists must take risks. | 科学家就要冒点风险 |
[27:53] | Otherwise we’d never make any advancements. | 不然我们永远也无法进步 |
[27:55] | You’ve established a strong reputation for yourself. | 你已经为自己树立了极高的声誉 |
[27:59] | You should tread carefully. | 你要小心行事才是啊 |
[28:00] | It’s not hard to go from genius to laughingstock. | 天才和笑柄只有一线之隔 |
[28:06] | I’m staying with my aunt and uncle | 在柏林的时候 |
[28:08] | while I’m in Berlin. | 我和我的叔叔阿姨一起住 |
[28:11] | You can reach me there. | 你可以到那找我 |
[28:14] | And then Albert hit her in the head with a shovel. | 阿尔伯特用铁铲打了她的头 |
[28:19] | I didn’t… I didn’t really. | 我其实…其实没打下去 |
[28:21] | You most certainly did… twice. | 你打了 还打了两次 |
[28:25] | Ah, Albert, | 阿尔伯特 |
[28:27] | you must try some of cousin Elsa’s famous goose cracklings. | 你一定要尝尝爱尔莎表姐的拿手菜炸鹅皮 |
[28:33] | Who would have imagined such a little troublemaker | 谁能想到这小捣蛋鬼 |
[28:35] | would grow up to be a great scientist? | 日后会成为这么伟大的科学家 |
[28:37] | Now if only someone would teach him what to do with a hairbrush. | 现在但愿有人会教他用梳子 |
[28:47] | Poor Albert, he’s been so miserable in Prague. | 可怜的阿尔伯特 他在布拉格过得太惨了 |
[28:51] | But he’s got a prestigious position there, doesn’t he? | 但他在那边的职位享有厚望 不是吗 |
[28:53] | It’s his wife. | 是因为他的妻子 |
[28:56] | He’d never admit it, but he regrets the day he married her. | 他从未承认过 但结婚后他就后悔了 |
[29:06] | It’s so nice to have you in town, Albert. | 很高兴你回来了 阿尔伯特 |
[29:08] | The last time I saw you, | 上次见你的时候 |
[29:09] | you must have been the same age as my girls. | 你和我女儿一般年纪 |
[29:12] | We always had fun together. | 我们一直玩得很好 |
[29:13] | Ah, you liked my sister better than me. | 你比我更喜欢我的妹妹 |
[29:15] | Well, she was nicer to me than you were. | 她对我比你对我好多了 |
[29:20] | Ugh. Take off your sweater. | 脱了你的毛衣吧 |
[29:22] | What? Why? | 为什么 |
[29:23] | You look like a tramp. | 穿着像个乞丐 |
[29:25] | Come, give it to me. | 快 脱了给我 |
[29:28] | I’ll mend it for you. | 我来给你缝好 |
[29:31] | Can you tell me why you’re so angry at your father? | 能和我说说你为什么这么生你父亲的气吗 |
[29:38] | I thought you wanted to know why I tried to jump out the window. | 我以为你更想知道我试图跳窗的原因 |
[29:41] | Yes. If you’re ready to tell me. | 当然 如果你想告诉我的话 |
[29:43] | It’s not because I’m in despair. | 并非因为绝望 |
[29:47] | It’s because I’m crazy. | 是因为我是个疯子 |
[29:49] | And what do you mean by “crazy”? | “疯子”是什么意思 |
[29:50] | Mad, schizoid. It runs in my family. | 疯狂 有分裂人格 这是家族遗传 |
[29:53] | My mother’s sister was locked up in this very same hospital. | 我的姨妈也住这间医院 |
[29:57] | So you see, I wasn’t trying to kill myself. | 正如你所见 我并非想要自杀 |
[30:00] | I was having a delusion. | 我是产生了错觉 |
[30:06] | I thought I was on fire. | 我以为自己身上着火了 |
[30:09] | Guess why it’s blue. | 猜猜看为什么天是蓝的 |
[30:11] | Because it’s lonely? | 因为寂寞吗 blue也有抑郁沮丧之意 |
[30:13] | Very clever, but no. | 这答案很巧妙 但不对 |
[30:15] | The air forms billions of tiny pockets | 空气中有无数微粒 |
[30:18] | that scatter the light from the sun. | 可以使太阳光发生散射 |
[30:20] | The blue light scatters more than the other wavelengths, | 相比其他波长的光 蓝光更容易被散射 |
[30:22] | and that’s why you see the blue. | 所以你看到了蓝色 |
[30:25] | That’s lovely. | 好神奇啊 |
[30:26] | But I can appreciate a blue sky | 但尽管我不懂物理 |
[30:28] | without knowing anything about physics. | 我也可以欣赏美丽的蓝天啊 |
[30:30] | Why would you need to know anything about physics? | 为什么你还要深入学习物理呢 |
[30:33] | You’re a sparkling conversationalist, | 你如此健谈 |
[30:36] | a wonderful cook, | 擅长厨艺 |
[30:37] | a talented seamstress. | 针线活还这么好 |
[30:43] | Tell me about your wife. | 和我说说你妻子吧 |
[30:45] | She went to school with you? | 她和你一起上学吗 |
[30:47] | Yes. She wanted to be a scientist. | 是啊 她想成为科学家 |
[30:50] | Oh. Is she like you? | 她喜欢你吗 |
[30:52] | Always thinking about big ideas? | 总是有奇思妙想 |
[30:54] | Never remembering to take care of little things? | 却不记得打理好日常小事吗 |
[31:01] | I have a friend, a psychiatrist, | 我有个朋友是精神病医生 |
[31:03] | who thinks that husbands and wives’ psyches | 他认为夫妻间的精神世界 |
[31:07] | must be in balance. | 必须处于平衡状态 |
[31:10] | Mileva and I certainly are not. | 而米列娃和我显然没有 |
[31:15] | You seem discontent. | 你看起来很不满啊 |
[31:20] | Mileva’s unhappy all the time. | 米列娃总是不开心 |
[31:24] | It makes life at home unbearable. | 这使我难以忍受家庭生活 |
[31:29] | So I find reasons to stay away. | 所以我总是找借口离家 |
[31:33] | But then I miss my children. | 但我又很想我的孩子 |
[31:37] | That must be very difficult for you. | 你肯定很难受吧 |
[31:42] | But you know, | 但你懂的 |
[31:44] | and I speak from experience, | 就我个人经验来看 |
[31:48] | not every marriage is meant to last forever. | 并非每段婚姻都能天长地久 |
[31:55] | You deserve to be happy, Albert. | 你有权享受幸福 阿尔伯特 |
[32:17] | Albert, wait. | 阿尔伯特 等等 |
[32:20] | I thought you might get hungry | 我觉得你在回家的途中 |
[32:21] | on the journey home. I made you some butter cookies. | 应该会饿 我给你做了些黄油饼干 |
[32:25] | Wherever did you get a rose at this time of year? | 在这个时节 你从哪里找到玫瑰的 |
[32:28] | I’ve got connections all over the city. | 我在整个城市都有人脉 |
[32:30] | Especially for lovely things like greenhouse flowers. | 尤其像温室花卉这样美丽的东西 |
[32:34] | Speaking of connections, did I ever mention that I’m acquainted | 说到人脉 我有提过我认识 |
[32:36] | with Fritz Haber, at the Prussian Academy? | 普鲁士学院的弗里茨·哈伯吗 |
[32:39] | Haber? | 哈伯 |
[32:40] | He’s legendary. | 他是个传奇 |
[32:41] | The man who pulled nitrogen out of thin air. | 从空气中发现氮的人 |
[32:44] | I could say something to him. | 我可以请他帮忙 |
[32:46] | The Academy would be the perfect place for you to do your work. | 学院是最适合你进行研究的地方 |
[32:52] | I can’t move to Berlin, Elsa. | 我不能搬去柏林 爱尔莎 |
[32:55] | Why not? | 为什么 |
[32:56] | You know I couldn’t wait to get out of Germany when I was a boy. | 我从小就很想离开德国 |
[33:00] | If I came back, it would only be because I want to be with you. | 如果我回去 只可能是因为我想跟你在一起 |
[33:05] | Is that so terrible? | 有这么糟糕吗 |
[33:09] | I’d… I’d very much like to… | 我 我非常愿意 |
[33:14] | to be something to you, Elsa, | 跟你在一起 爱尔莎 |
[33:16] | but there are other people to consider. | 但还要考虑其他人 |
[33:20] | Mileva, of course, but most importantly, | 当然要考虑米列娃 但最重要的 |
[33:23] | your daughters, and my sons. | 还要考虑你女儿跟我儿子 |
[33:29] | Fire represents deep parts of the unconscious. | 火代表潜意识的深层部分 |
[33:32] | It’s an archetype of transformation. | 这是一种转换的原型 |
[33:34] | I have a number of patients who… | 我有好几位病患 |
[33:35] | Save your archetypal nonsense for your paying patients. | 去跟你的病患说这些废话吧 |
[33:38] | My neuroses have nothing to do | 我的神经官能症跟 |
[33:39] | with your, your outlandish theories, | 你所谓的集体潜意识 |
[33:41] | about the collective unconscious. | 古怪理论根本无关 |
[33:47] | I’m studying psychiatry. | 我在研究心理学 |
[33:51] | And I can tell you, | 我可以告诉你 |
[33:51] | my neuroses are obviously Freudian. | 我的神经官能症显然是属于弗洛伊德学说 |
[33:55] | Freudian in what sense? | 哪方面的弗洛伊德学说 |
[33:57] | Isn’t it obvious? | 你看不出来吗 |
[33:59] | They’re all about my father. | 全都跟我父亲有关 |
[34:01] | I don’t see how a delusion about fire connects with your father. | 产生火的幻觉跟你父亲有什么关连 |
[34:07] | Quite simple, really. | 其实很简单 |
[34:10] | When I was a child, he nearly burned me to death. | 我小时候 他差点把我烧死 |
[34:13] | One night, he was so distracted | 有天晚上 他沉迷于 |
[34:14] | by some scientific thought or another, | 某些科学理念什么的 |
[34:17] | that he dropped his pipe and set fire to his bedroom. | 结果他的烟斗掉下来 他卧室着火了 |
[34:25] | Your memory is quite vivid. | 你记得很清楚 |
[34:26] | How could I forget something like that? | 我怎么可能忘记这种事 |
[34:28] | You were just a baby. | 你当时还很小 |
[34:29] | It’s quite young to remember so much. | 那么小就记得这么多很罕见 |
[34:34] | Everyone in my family knows the story. | 我家人都知道这件事 |
[34:39] | My father never should have had children. | 我父亲根本不该有孩子 |
[34:43] | If it wasn’t for my mother, | 如果没有我母亲 |
[34:44] | God knows what would have become of us. | 天知道我们会变成什么样 |
[34:46] | Your father is a human being. | 你父亲是个人 |
[34:49] | Human beings make mistakes. | 人都会犯错 |
[34:51] | You study the psyche, Eduard. | 你有研究心理学 爱德华 |
[34:53] | Be your own doctor. | 诊断下自己 |
[34:55] | What would you tell yourself? | 你会对自己说什么 |
[34:58] | I’d say, | 我会说 |
[35:00] | when one’s father is a great and heartless man, | 一个人的父亲是个伟大又无情的人时 |
[35:05] | it can make one feel… | 会让那个人感觉 |
[35:10] | quite worthless. | 自己毫无价值 |
[35:14] | You have made your father into a kind of | 你把自己的父亲塑造成一种 |
[35:17] | archetypal monster. | 原始怪物 |
[35:21] | But are you really sure you’re right? | 但你真的确定自己是对的吗 |
[35:34] | You let the children get hold of matches? | 你居然让孩子们玩火柴 |
[35:36] | How could you be so careless? | 你怎么能这么粗心 |
[35:37] | So sorry. I-I don’t know | 对不起 我不知道 |
[35:39] | what’s wrong with me lately. | 我最近怎么了 |
[35:40] | I don’t know what’s wrong with me. | 我不知道我怎么了 |
[35:42] | I’m sorry… I’m sorry. | 对不起 对不起 |
[35:51] | It’s all right, Eduard. | 没事了 爱德华 |
[35:53] | Everything’s gonna be all right. | 一切都会没事的 |
[36:09] | I know you’re unhappy here, Miza. | 我知道你在这里不快乐 米扎 |
[36:14] | I got a letter from Marie Curie yesterday. | 我昨天收到玛丽·居里的信 |
[36:18] | She’s invited us to take a holiday with her in the Alps. | 她邀请我们一起去阿尔卑斯山度假 |
[36:23] | I think it will do us some good to get away, hmm? | 放松下心情或许对我们都有好处 |
[36:40] | 瑞士 马洛亚 | |
[36:48] | I’ve read all your papers. | 你的论文我都读过 |
[36:52] | They’re a bit dry, aren’t they? | 挺枯燥的 对吧 |
[36:54] | Oh, not at all. | 完全不会 |
[36:56] | I’m fascinated by the idea | 我很欣赏你认为 |
[36:57] | that radium is in a perpetual process of decay. | 镭是一种不断衰变的元素 |
[37:01] | Do you think Rutherford’s theory of sub-atoms | 你认为卢瑟福的亚原子理论及 |
[37:03] | and disintegration is accurate? | 衰变理论是正确的吗 |
[37:07] | I don’t know about Rutherford, but I can see | 我不确定卢瑟福是否正确 |
[37:09] | that you are just as brilliant as your husband said you are. | 但我看得出来你就跟你丈夫说的一样优秀 |
[37:16] | It seems foolish now, | 现在听起来很蠢 |
[37:18] | but once I dreamed I might win a Nobel Prize, too. | 但我曾梦想我也能赢得一座诺贝尔奖 |
[37:24] | But then, life and… children. | 不过后来要操心生活和孩子 |
[37:31] | How did you do it all? | 你是怎么两者兼顾的 |
[37:36] | I didn’t. | 我没有 |
[37:38] | My children hardly saw me. | 我的孩子很少见到我 |
[37:40] | Now, I’m afraid they hate me. | 现在他们恐怕很讨厌我 |
[37:46] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[37:48] | I didn’t realize. | 我之前不知道 |
[37:51] | You are very lucky, Mileva. | 你非常幸运 米列娃 |
[37:54] | Your children obviously adore you. | 你的孩子们非常爱你 |
[38:05] | My husband doesn’t. | 我丈夫不爱我 |
[38:11] | Not anymore. | 不再爱了 |
[38:14] | Mileva’s got a wonderful mind. | 米列娃非常聪明 |
[38:18] | I can see why you were drawn to her. | 我明白你为什么会被她吸引 |
[38:21] | That feels like eons ago. | 这就好像是上辈子的事了 |
[38:26] | Love is a chemical reaction. | 爱情是化学反应 |
[38:28] | Sometimes, it burns itself out. | 有时候 它会自燃 |
[38:33] | I miss what Mileva and I had. | 我怀念米列娃和我曾经的感情 |
[38:37] | Don’t you sometimes think that, | 有时候你会不会想 |
[38:40] | well, life isn’t worth living without someone to love. | 如果没有所爱之人 生活便毫无意义 |
[38:46] | Perhaps you’ll find someone else. | 也许你会找到别的人 |
[38:56] | Mileva’s so fragile. | 米列娃非常脆弱 |
[38:59] | I… | 我 |
[39:01] | I couldn’t bear to hurt my children. | 我不忍心伤害我的孩子们 |
[39:07] | I tell you something, Albert, | 我跟你说件事 阿尔伯特 |
[39:08] | because I think you’ll understand. | 因为我觉得你会理解 |
[39:12] | The rumors about my affair with Paul Langevin were true. | 关于我与保罗·朗之万有婚外情的传闻是真的 |
[39:17] | I don’t feel any guilt about it; we fell in love. | 我不觉得有罪恶感 我们相爱了 |
[39:20] | So, why should we have to deny our feelings | 我们为什么要否认我们的感情 |
[39:22] | just because of an old-fashioned social contract? | 就因为传统的社会约束吗 |
[39:27] | You and I don’t accept all the rules and conventions of science. | 我们俩连科学的规则和传统都不完全认同 |
[39:32] | So, why must we accept traditional marriage? | 那么 为什么我们必须接受传统的婚姻呢 |
[39:42] | The houses held onto each other | 那晚 宅邸之间紧紧 |
[39:44] | tight that night. | 相依偎 |
[39:47] | And I kissed the moon and cried. | 我亲吻了月亮 泪水涟涟 |
[39:52] | That was “Longing” by Henriette Hardenberg. | 出自亨瑞特·哈登堡的《渴望》 |
[40:01] | Professor Haber, I’m so glad you could be here. | 哈伯教授 真高兴你来了 |
[40:04] | You were quite charming. | 你真迷人 |
[40:07] | Have I ever mentioned that my cousin is Albert Einstein? | 我有没有提过阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦是我表兄 |
[40:12] | He’s making quite a name for himself. | 他可真是声名鹊起 |
[40:14] | In Prague now, I believe. | 现在应该在布拉格吧 |
[40:15] | Actually, he’s moved back to Zurich. | 其实他已经搬回苏黎世了 |
[40:17] | But I think he’s rather restless there. | 不过我想他在那里更忙碌 |
[40:20] | A mind like his, I’m sure he’d prefer | 聪明如他 他一定更喜欢 |
[40:22] | a more stimulating scientific community. | 激励人心的科学社团 |
[40:26] | What is this fascination with Einstein? | 爱因斯坦有什么好的 |
[40:29] | What do his so-called “Thought experiments” even mean? | 他那所谓的”思维实验”是什么意思 |
[40:32] | Where are these trains and lightning bolts he writes about? | 他的这些火车和闪电又是什么 |
[40:34] | He’s the most original thinker in the world right now. | 他是目前世上最有创造力的思考者 |
[40:38] | Just the kind of man we want | 正是我们希望学院能有的 |
[40:39] | – in the Academy. – He’s a dreamer, | -那类人 -他是个梦想家 |
[40:41] | not a rigorous scientist. | 不是个严谨的科学家 |
[40:42] | Hasn’t he just taken a post in Zurich? | 他不是刚在苏黎世得到了职位吗 |
[40:45] | Yes, | 是的 |
[40:46] | but I’ve been told he’d prefer to do without | 不过我听说他不太喜欢 |
[40:49] | his lecturing obligations. | 讲课的工作 |
[40:52] | Germany needs men like him. | 德国需要他这样的人 |
[40:55] | If I’m not mistaken, | 如果我没记错 |
[40:56] | he renounced his German citizenship many years ago. | 多年前他放弃了德国国籍 |
[41:02] | Perhaps it’s best we let the Swiss keep him. | 或许最好还是让他留在瑞士 |
[41:05] | It’s good to see you again, Carl. | 很高兴再次见到你 卡尔 |
[41:08] | I was surprised you came back to Zurich so soon. | 我没想到你这么快就回苏黎世了 |
[41:11] | My wife despised Prague. But, uh, more importantly, | 我妻子不喜欢布拉格 不过更重要的是 |
[41:15] | I’m hoping Zurich will be better for my children, healthier. | 我觉得苏黎世对我的孩子们更好 更健康 |
[41:19] | Especially little Eduard. He’s… he’s a bit sickly. | 尤其是小爱德华 他有些病恹恹的 |
[41:23] | Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. | 我很遗憾 |
[41:25] | But don’t misunderstand me. | 不过别误解了 |
[41:26] | He’s a remarkable child, amazingly bright. | 他是个了不起的孩子 非常聪明 |
[41:29] | He started talking much sooner than his older brother. | 他比他哥哥更早学会说话 |
[41:32] | And he has a wonderful gift for music. | 他在音乐方面很有天赋 |
[41:36] | Well, he’s lucky to have such a proud papa. | 他很幸运有个为他骄傲的爸爸 |
[41:40] | Oh, allow me. | 让我来吧 |
[41:44] | Four francs, a magical number. | 四法郎 有魔力的数字 |
[41:48] | You don’t actually believe in magic, do you? | 你不是真的相信魔法吧 |
[41:51] | I am not sure about magic, | 有没有魔法我不知道 |
[41:52] | but I know that four is a very special number. | 但我知道 四是非常特别的数字 |
[41:55] | You’re serious? | 你是认真的吗 |
[41:57] | Indeed, four is fundamental. | 的确 四是个基本的数字 |
[41:59] | There’s four elements: | 有四大元素 |
[42:00] | earth, air, fire and water; four poles of the compass; | 泥土 空气 火和水 指南针有四个极 |
[42:04] | and four poles of the psyche: | 灵魂有四个极点 |
[42:06] | thinking, feeling, sensation and intuition. | 思考 感受 感知和直觉 |
[42:10] | And who knows, Albert? | 谁知道呢 阿尔伯特 |
[42:12] | Perhaps… | 也许 |
[42:13] | there is even a fourth dimension. | 甚至还有第四个维度 |
[42:25] | So, what’s your diagnosis, Doctor? | 那么你的诊断是什么 医生 |
[42:28] | Schizoid with delusions? | 精神分裂伴有妄想症吗 |
[42:31] | I am a friend of the family. | 我是你家人的朋友 |
[42:33] | So, I wanted to come and see you personally, | 所以我想私下来看望你 |
[42:36] | but I think it would be more appropriate | 不过我觉得还是让我同事来 |
[42:41] | if you worked with one of my colleagues. | 会更合适 |
[42:43] | Oh, I see. | 我明白了 |
[42:45] | As usual, a visit from an eminent man | 通常来讲 名人来看我 |
[42:47] | has nothing to do with me. | 通常跟我本人无关 |
[42:49] | It’s only because of my great and very important father. | 都是因为我伟大而重要的父亲 |
[42:56] | I understand you are… | 我理解你 |
[42:59] | quite an admirer of Freud. | 非常崇拜弗洛伊德 |
[43:01] | That’s right. And don’t try to tell me he’s a charlatan, | 没错 别对我说他是个骗子 |
[43:04] | because I’m quite sure | 因为我非常肯定 |
[43:05] | he’s understood the human psyche better than anyone. | 他比任何人都了解人类的精神世界 |
[43:08] | I once thought so, too. | 以前我也这么认为 |
[43:11] | In fact, he was like a father to me. | 其实 他对我来说就像是父亲 |
[43:17] | But I was young then, | 但是我那时年轻气盛 |
[43:21] | my ego got in the way. | 被自大蒙蔽了双眼 |
[43:23] | Now, we haven’t spoken for… | 我们已经很久很久 |
[43:28] | a very long time. | 没有说过话了 |
[43:30] | I said some terrible things to him, | 我对他说了一些很过分的话 |
[43:35] | and I never had the humility to ask him to forgive me. | 而我却从未放下身段祈求过他的原谅 |
[43:40] | I wonder if he could. | 不知道他是否会原谅我 |
[43:44] | I wonder if I could forgive him. | 不知道我是否会原谅他 |
[44:09] | Oh, look. | 你看 |
[44:11] | Imagine what it would be like to be that little spider, Teddy. | 想想那只小蜘蛛是什么感觉 泰迪 |
[44:17] | Going round and round, | 绕了一圈又一圈 |
[44:19] | the world must look very… | 世界看起来肯定非常 |
[44:23] | very different. | 非常不一样 |
[44:26] | My God. | 天呐 |
[44:28] | Someone’s here to see you. | 有人来找你 |
[44:31] | Go with Mama. | 去找妈妈吧 |
[44:34] | Herr Professor, what an unexpected pleasure. | 教授先生 真是意外的荣幸啊 |
[44:38] | What-what brings you to Zurich? | 你怎么来苏黎世了 |
[44:40] | Well, to begin with, I’ve found you an astronomer. | 首先 我给你找到了一位天文学家 |
[44:42] | Name is Freundlich. | 叫弗罗因德利希 德国化学家 |
[44:44] | He’s young, but ambitious. | 年纪虽轻 但雄心壮志 |
[44:45] | You must tell me all about him, but first, | 那你要和我好好说说 但是首先 |
[44:48] | take a look at the spider on the record. | 你看唱片上的蜘蛛 |
[44:51] | Agelena labyrinthica, I think. | 这是迷宫漏斗蛛吧 |
[44:52] | 噪音 | |
[44:55] | So, you know each other? | 这么说你们认识 |
[44:57] | Ask her what’s the ratio | 问问她 唱片 |
[44:58] | of the diameter of the record to the circumference. | 周长与直径的比是多少 |
[45:01] | Pi, of course. | 当然是圆周率 |
[45:03] | Not to the spider, it isn’t. | 对蜘蛛来说不是 |
[45:05] | Because of relativity, | 因为相对来说 |
[45:07] | the circumference is shorter in the direction of rotation. | 顺着旋转方向周长更短 |
[45:11] | I’m not sure I follow. | 我没明白 |
[45:13] | This beautiful little creature has given me the key | 这个美丽的小生物给了我 |
[45:16] | to formulating general relativity. | 构想广义相对论的关键 |
[45:18] | It cannot be done with three-dimensional geometry. | 以三维空间几何是做不到的 |
[45:21] | Dr. Jung made me realize Minkowski was right. | 荣格博士令我意识到闵可夫斯基是对的 荣格博士瑞士心理学家 闵可夫斯基为德国数学家 |
[45:24] | I need four dimensions. | 我需要四维 |
[45:25] | This is wonderful, don’t you see? | 简直太棒了 对吧 |
[45:29] | I hope that you’ll think that this is wonderful, too. | 希望你会认为这也很棒 |
[45:37] | 普鲁士科学院 | |
[45:39] | The Prussian Academy. | 普鲁士科学院 |
[45:44] | It’s an official offer. | 正式聘请书 |
[45:50] | My God. It’s good money. | 天呐 待遇真不错 |
[45:56] | But I don’t know if I can accept. | 但我不知道要不要接受 |
[45:59] | I thought you’d be thrilled. | 我以为你会很激动 |
[46:01] | It’s complicated. Berlin is… | 很复杂 柏林… |
[46:03] | Berlin is what? | 柏林怎么了 |
[46:07] | I’m sorry, I need some time to consider. | 抱歉 我需要些时间考虑一下 |
[46:09] | It wasn’t easy for us to get you this offer, Albert. | 我们好不容易给你弄到聘请书 阿尔伯特 |
[46:12] | I can’t very well go back to Berlin without an answer. | 没有答复 我无法安心地回柏林 |
[46:18] | Why don’t you take a little hike up Mount Kaferberg? | 要不你去卡夫伯格山徒步一趟 |
[46:21] | A hike? | 徒步 |
[46:22] | It’s a lovely view of the city. It’ll take you two hours. | 可以俯瞰城市美景 只要两个小时 |
[46:25] | I’ll meet you at the bottom with my answer. | 我会带着答复在山下等你的 |
[46:29] | Very well. | 好吧 |
[46:38] | 伯格霍兹里诊所 1932年 | |
[47:00] | It’s okay, Teddy. | 没事的 泰迪 |
[47:03] | It’s okay. | 没事的 |
[47:06] | Mama is here. | 妈妈来了 |
[47:10] | Tell-tell me about the fire in Prague. | 跟我说说布拉格的那场火灾 |
[47:15] | That was a long time ago. | 那是很久以前的事了 |
[47:18] | What does it matter now? | 为什么现在想知道 |
[47:20] | I’ve always thought Papa started it. | 我一直以为是爸爸引起的 |
[47:23] | He did, didn’t he? | 是他 对吗 |
[47:24] | Eduard, you mustn’t upset yourself… | 爱德华 你不要因为… |
[47:25] | Mama, please. | 妈妈 告诉我 |
[47:29] | I want to know. | 我想知道 |
[47:36] | Actually… | 其实 |
[47:38] | it was my fault. | 是我的错 |
[47:40] | And your father was the one who put the fire out. | 灭火的是你父亲 |
[47:43] | Well, I was having my own bout of melancholy, | 我当时犯了忧郁症 |
[47:47] | just like you are now. | 就和你现在一样 |
[47:52] | And wasn’t paying attention | 没注意到 |
[47:54] | and one of you boys got hold of some matches. | 你们其中一个人拿着火柴 |
[48:01] | Why didn’t you ever tell me the truth? | 你为什么从未把真相告诉我 |
[48:03] | I needed you to feel safe with me. | 我想让你觉得和我在一起很安全 |
[48:08] | You idolized your father, Eduard. | 你崇拜你父亲 爱德华 |
[48:10] | But he was never there | 但他一直不在家 |
[48:11] | and I could see how painful that was for you. | 我知道你很难过 |
[48:13] | I thought it might be easier | 我想如果你不把他 |
[48:15] | if you didn’t see him as some kind of hero. | 当作英雄 这样也许会好过些 |
[48:24] | Tell Papa I want to see him. | 和爸爸说我想见他 |
[48:46] | Where is your father, Eduard? | 你父亲在哪呢 爱德华 |