时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | Do you know what Fritz has been working on? | 你知道弗里茨最近在做什么吗 |
[00:09] | He’s responsible for thousands of deaths. | 他得为数千人的死亡负责 |
[00:11] | You may have changed your religion, | 你可能改变了自己的宗教信仰 |
[00:13] | but don’t think for a second you can change your heritage. | 但不可能改变你的传统 |
[00:15] | But if the worst disputes between warring nations | 两个交战国家之间最严重的分歧 |
[00:18] | can be resolved, can’t two old friends make peace? | 都能解决 那为什么两位老朋友不能和好 |
[00:21] | I would like you to meet my good friend, Dr. Niels Bohr. | 我想让你见见我的好朋友 尼尔斯·波尔博士 |
[00:24] | Are you familiar with Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle? | 你熟悉海森堡不确定性原理吗 |
[00:26] | What about Margot and Ilse? | 玛戈特跟伊尔泽怎么办 |
[00:29] | They’re determined to make their lives here. | 她们决定在这里继续生活 |
[00:30] | Perhaps they’ll change their minds once they see how happy | 或许她们会改变心意 只要她们发现 |
[00:33] | a person can be in New Jersey. | 住在新泽西有多快乐 |
[00:34] | I am conducting this inquiry at the request | 我是受约翰·埃德加·胡佛先生的委托 |
[00:37] | – of Mr. J. Edgar Hoover. – Hoover? | -来进行此次调查的 -胡佛 |
[00:39] | What does he want with me? | 他想要我怎么样 |
[00:40] | Dr. Lenard, it’s an honor. | 勒纳博士 非常荣幸 |
[00:42] | He’s expecting you, sir. | 他正在等你 先生 |
[00:43] | Heil, mein Fuhrer! | 元首万岁 |
[00:45] | Welcome to the Nazi Party, Dr. Lenard. | 欢迎加入纳粹党 勒纳博士 |
[00:56] | 《我的战争》 | |
[01:14] | 天才 | |
[01:20] | 最高机密 | |
[01:23] | The intelligence is thin, I’ll admit, | 但如果内容属实 那么 最高机密 |
[01:26] | but if it’s accurate, well, then… | 但如果内容属实 那么 |
[01:27] | we’d all better start learning to speak German as well as you do. | 我们最好都像你一样开始学好德语 |
[01:30] | What else you got? | 还有什么情报 |
[01:32] | Not much. | 没什么了 |
[01:35] | That’s why you’re here. | 所以才找你来 |
[01:37] | We may have the Jerries on their heels, | 我们暂时是让德国佬有所忌惮 |
[01:42] | but if this Heisenberg character is indeed close to building | 但如果这个海森堡真的快要研发出了 |
[01:42] | an atomic bomb… | 原子弹 |
[01:44] | Well… Jesus. | 后果不堪设想 |
[01:49] | What do you want me to do? | 你想让我做什么 |
[01:56] | It’s a Walther PPK. | 这是把瓦尔特自动手枪 |
[01:58] | 瓦尔特武器制造厂 | |
[01:59] | A Swiss friend of ours has invited Heisenberg | 一位瑞士的朋友邀请了海森堡去参加 |
[02:01] | to lecture in Zurich in December. | 十二月在苏黎世举办的演讲 |
[02:02] | You’re gonna be there. | 你也要去 |
[02:03] | If you’re captured, it’ll appear you smuggled it from Germany. | 如果你不幸被抓 会显得你是偷偷从德国带进来的 |
[02:06] | But if that happens… | 但如果真被抓了 |
[02:08] | swallow the pill. It’s quick. | 直接吞药吧 药效很快 |
[02:11] | And it’s a hell of a lot less painful | 比起纳粹会对你做的那些 |
[02:12] | than what the Nazis will do to you. | 吞药自杀仁慈得多 |
[02:21] | Your contact is Professor Scherrer | 你的联络人是联邦理工学院的 联邦理工学院 瑞士 苏黎世 1944年12月 |
[02:24] | – of the Federal Polytechnic College. – What’s my cover? | -谢勒尔博士 -我的卧底身份是什么 |
[02:26] | 托马斯·里特尔 -谢勒尔博士 -我的卧底身份是什么 | |
[02:27] | 瑞士护照 | |
[02:28] | Tomas Ritter? | 托马斯·里特尔 |
[02:29] | Paul Scherrer. | 保罗·谢勒尔 |
[02:31] | Pleasure to meet you, Herr Professor. | 幸会 教授先生 |
[02:33] | Which one is Heisenberg? | 海森堡是哪一位 |
[02:36] | There, | 那里 |
[02:36] | on the right. | 右边那个 |
[02:39] | Listen for certain words… | 注意这些词 |
[02:41] | “Heavy water,” | “重水” |
[02:42] | “Fast fission,” “Plutonium.” | “快中子裂变” “钚” |
[02:44] | Good evening, gentlemen, | 晚上好 先生们 |
[02:46] | ladies. | 女士们 |
[02:47] | Thank you for coming. | 感谢各位的参与 |
[02:48] | If anything Heisenberg says leads you to believe | 如果海森堡说了什么让你们认为 |
[02:50] | he is close to constructing a bomb, | 他马上就要研发出炸弹了 |
[02:53] | kill him. | 杀了他 |
[02:54] | Congratulations, Dr. Lenard. | 恭喜 勒纳博士 |
[02:56] | The Fuhrer, in his wisdom, | 元首聪明睿智 |
[02:58] | has decided to reward your early support | 为了嘉奖你早期的支持 |
[03:01] | and continued loyalty | 和忠心耿耿 |
[03:01] | 11年前 | |
[03:02] | 柏林 1933年 | |
[03:03] | by appointing you Chief of Aryan Physics. | 决定任命你为雅利安首席物理学家 |
[03:07] | I am humbled and grateful, Dr. Goebbels. | 不胜惶恐 戈培尔博士 |
[03:10] | Please inform the Fuhrer that my first order of business | 请转告元首我任职后的首要任务 |
[03:14] | will be to reclaim the glory of German science | 就是重塑德国科学的光辉 |
[03:17] | by purging the Prussian Academy | 清除普鲁士科学院中 |
[03:18] | of all foreign and impure influences. | 所有的外国人及血统不纯的人的影响 |
[03:21] | We must do more than inform the Fuhrer. | 我们不仅要转告元首 |
[03:24] | We must inform the people. | 我们要告诉全国人民 |
[03:26] | In a manner that will forever burn this moment | 用让这一刻牢牢烙印在 |
[03:28] | into their memory. | 他们的记忆中的方式 |
[03:31] | The era of exaggerated Jewish intellectualism | 言过其实的犹太理性主义时代 |
[03:35] | is now at an end! | 即将终结 |
[03:38] | The triumph of the German Revolution | 德国革命的胜利 |
[03:41] | has again cleared a path for the German way. | 再一次为德国的繁荣开辟了道路 |
[03:45] | And the future German man will not only be a man of books, | 未来的德国人不仅仅有知识 |
[03:50] | but also a man of character. | 而是有骨气的人 |
[03:54] | And, thus, you do well in this midnight hour | 因此 在此午夜时分 |
[03:58] | to commit to the flames the evil spirit of the past. | 你们要将过去的邪恶灵魂付之一炬 |
[04:03] | Sieg… | 胜利 |
[04:04] | Heil! | 万岁 |
[04:05] | Sieg… | 胜利 |
[04:06] | Heil! | 万岁 |
[04:07] | – Sieg… – Heil! | -胜利 -万岁 |
[04:09] | – Sieg… – Heil! | -胜利 -万岁 |
[04:12] | – Sieg… – Heil! | -胜利 -万岁 |
[04:13] | – Sieg… – Heil! | -胜利 -万岁 |
[04:15] | – Sieg… – Heil! | -胜利 -万岁 |
[04:29] | Albert, | 阿尔伯特 |
[04:30] | they have raided our apartment. | 他们突袭了我们的公寓 |
[04:32] | The cottage as well. | 还有小屋 |
[04:33] | What were they hoping to find, my supply of… | 他们想找什么 我私藏的 |
[04:36] | contraband tobacco? | 走私烟吗 |
[04:36] | 新泽西 普林斯顿 1933年 走私烟吗 | |
[04:38] | Margot says that they were looking for guns. | 玛戈特说他们在找枪 |
[04:41] | They claimed to have intelligence | 说是有情报表明 |
[04:42] | that you were hiding them for communist insurgents. | 你窝藏了共党叛乱分子 |
[04:45] | Well, that’s a very liberal use of the word “Intelligence.” | “情报”这词还真是信手拈来啊 |
[04:48] | The girls have managed to save most of your papers. | 你的大部分论文都被姑娘们藏起来了 |
[04:51] | Poor Herr Hitler. | 可怜的希特勒 |
[04:53] | What will he use for kindling the next time | 他下次想在炉火旁读书的时候 |
[04:55] | he wishes to read by the fire? | 没有用来点火的东西了 |
[04:57] | – This isn’t funny, Albert. – I know. | -这可不是玩笑 阿尔伯特 -我知道 |
[04:59] | That is why we must fight, Elsa. | 这就是我们必须反抗的原因 爱尔莎 |
[05:03] | Fight Hitler however we can. | 尽我们所能 与希特勒斗争 |
[05:05] | We haven’t any guns. | 我们可没有枪 |
[05:06] | I have a voice. I can write. | 我有发言权 我可以写文章 |
[05:08] | I can speak out, tell anyone who will listen | 我可以大声演讲 告诉每一个听众 |
[05:10] | that this man is a threat, | 希特勒是个威胁 |
[05:12] | that other governments must use all peaceful means to oppose him. | 其他政府必须用一切和平手段来反对他 |
[05:21] | Margot says that Ilse’s condition is getting worse. | 玛戈特说伊尔泽的状态越来越差了 |
[05:29] | That is not good news, my love. | 这可不是好消息 亲爱的 |
[05:32] | We must get her out of Germany. | 我们一定要把她弄出德国 |
[05:34] | And the rest of our family and friends. | 还有咱们其他的家人和朋友 |
[05:37] | Use your voice for that. | 用你的发言权来实现吧 |
[05:39] | The car is here. | 车来了 |
[05:40] | Oh, thank you, Helen. | 谢谢 海伦 |
[05:43] | You go ahead. I’ll-I’ll be just a moment. | 你先去 我这就过来 |
[05:46] | Don’t be too long. | 别耽搁太久 |
[05:47] | Flexner has threatened to feed me | 弗莱克斯纳说我要是再迟到的话 |
[05:49] | to the famous Princeton Tigers if I’m late again. | 他就把我拿去喂着名的普林斯顿老虎 |
[06:11] | The Nazis are fanatics. | 纳粹就是一帮狂热分子 |
[06:13] | American capitalists such as yourself | 米尔斯先生 像您这样的美国资本家 |
[06:15] | must refuse to do business with them, Mr. Mills. | 一定要拒绝跟他们做生意 |
[06:19] | I’m surprised a man of your background | 教授 我很惊讶您这种背景的人 |
[06:20] | needs a lesson in capitalism, Professor. | 竟然需要进一步了解资本主义 |
[06:23] | It doesn’t work by refusing to do business with people. | 拒绝跟别人做生意是行不通的 |
[06:26] | You’re here to attract donors, Albert, | 你来这是来吸引募捐者的 阿尔伯特 |
[06:29] | – not to chase them away. – Oh, my mistake. | -不是来把他们赶跑的 -怪我 |
[06:31] | I was under the impression my job here was to pursue science, | 我以为我来这是要继续追求科学的 |
[06:35] | not to be the collector for your coffers. | 不是给你揽钱的 |
[06:39] | Most of these people are put off as it is, | 大多数人都接到要求 |
[06:41] | having so many Jews on the faculty. | 暂停雇佣犹太职员 |
[06:43] | They don’t want our politics thrown in their faces. | 他们可不希望我们用政治责难他们 |
[06:46] | Albert, look who I have just met. | 阿尔伯特 看我遇见谁了 |
[06:48] | This is Mr. Henry Morgenthau. | 这位是亨利·摩根索先生 |
[06:50] | He is Secretary of the Treasury for Mr. Roosevelt. | 他是罗斯福总统的财政部部长 |
[06:55] | An honor to meet you, Professor. | 很荣幸认识您 教授 |
[06:56] | Morgenthau. | 摩根索 |
[06:58] | – A Jewish name? – As a matter of fact, yes. | -犹太名字 -事实上 是的 |
[07:01] | Bar mitzvah boy in ’04. | 1904年的时候受戒的 |
[07:02] | Corned beef on rye. | 腌牛肉黑麦面包 |
[07:04] | A Jew who’s also a politician. | 一个犹太政客 |
[07:07] | How very interesting. | 真有趣 |
[07:09] | Albert, I was thinking maybe Mr. Morgenthau | 阿尔伯特 我想摩根索先生 |
[07:11] | could give us some advice | 可能会给我们一些 |
[07:12] | on getting our friends out of Germany. | 把朋友从德国弄出来的建议 |
[07:16] | Get up. Let’s go. | 起立 咱们走 |
[07:17] | 德皇凯撒威廉研究院 柏林 1933年 起立 咱们走 | |
[07:18] | – On your feet, you kike. – Move! Move! | -站起来 你个犹太佬 -走 走 |
[07:21] | Where are you taking them? | 你要把他们带到哪里去 |
[07:22] | No Jews in government posts. | 政府岗位上不允许有犹太人 |
[07:24] | That includes this laboratory. | 这个实验室也不例外 |
[07:25] | This is an outrage. How am I to continue my work? | 这太过分了 我怎么继续我的工作呢 |
[07:28] | I’m sure you will manage. | 我相信你会处理好的 |
[07:31] | Your people are nothing if not clever. | 如果你的人民不聪明 那要他们有什么用 |
[07:33] | My people? | 我的人民 |
[07:34] | What are you insinuating? | 你想暗示什么 |
[07:36] | We know you were not born a Lutheran. | 我们知道你并非生来就是路德教的人 |
[07:39] | Or would you care to drop your trousers and prove us wrong? | 要不你把裤子脱下来验明正身 |
[07:44] | How-how dare you speak to me in such a manner? | 你怎么能跟这么跟我说话 |
[07:48] | Your Jew-loving friends cannot protect you forever… | 您的亲犹太朋友们是无法永远保护您的 |
[07:51] | Haber. | 哈伯 |
[07:58] | Fritz is a German patriot. | 弗里茨是德国爱国主义者 |
[08:00] | He was the first among us to raise his hand in the Great War. | 我们这些人中 他是第一个赞成世界大战的 |
[08:03] | He’s also a Jew. | 他还是个犹太人 |
[08:06] | Yes, Philipp, but… | 没错 菲利普 但是 |
[08:09] | there are Jews and, uh… | 有人是犹太人 还有人是 |
[08:10] | and then there are Jews. | 总归是有犹太人的 |
[08:13] | I’m told you have already pressed this matter | 我都告诉你了 我已经亲自向元首 |
[08:15] | with the Fuhrer himself. | 提过这个问题了 |
[08:17] | Did he not give you a clear answer? | 他没有给你一个明确的答复吗 |
[08:18] | Yes, but we cannot turn our backs on Fritz. | 他给了 但是我们不能背叛弗里茨 |
[08:22] | He has been a colleague and a friend for decades. | 几十年来他一直都是我们的同事和朋友 |
[08:25] | Yes, and for decades you supported the likes of Haber | 是的 这几十年来当哈伯和爱因斯坦 |
[08:28] | and Einstein while they destroyed the purity of German science. | 玷污德国科学界的纯洁时 你都支持他们 |
[08:31] | But the Academy is obsolete, Max. | 但是学院已经解散了 马克思 |
[08:33] | I am in charge of science in this country now. | 现在这个国家的科学界由我来负责了 |
[08:39] | Make no mistake, Philipp, | 别搞错了 菲利普 |
[08:42] | the Fuhrer appointed you not for your shining intellect, | 元首并不是因为你过人的才智委任你的 |
[08:45] | but for your depraved politics. | 而是因为你堕落的政治观 |
[08:50] | I’m afraid there’s nothing | 恐怕我无法为你的朋友 |
[08:51] | I can do to help your friend Professor Haber. | 哈伯教授排忧解难了 |
[08:53] | No university in America wants the stain | 没有任何一所美国大学愿意聘用 |
[08:55] | of a war criminal on its faculty. | 一个带有战犯污点的人 |
[08:57] | I feared that might happen. | 恐怕事情只能这样了 |
[09:00] | – Poor Fritz. – The good news is | -可怜的弗里茨 -好消息是 |
[09:02] | the State Department has agreed to issue visas | 国务院已经同意给名单上的 |
[09:04] | to several of those on your list. | 一部分人签发了签证 |
[09:07] | Betty Neumann. | 贝蒂·诺伊曼 |
[09:08] | Your son Hans and his family. | 令郎汉斯和他的家人 |
[09:11] | Your wife’s daughter, Margot. | 您妻子的女儿 玛戈特 |
[09:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[09:15] | But what about my other stepdaughter, Ilse? | 但是我的另一个继女 伊尔泽呢 |
[09:17] | She’s sick with tuberculosis. | 她得了肺结核 |
[09:18] | Elsa’s gone to Paris to take care of her, but… | 爱尔莎已经去巴黎照顾她了 但 |
[09:21] | we want to bring her here for treatment. | 我们想带她来这里治病 |
[09:24] | The immigration laws | 移民法规定 |
[09:25] | exclude anyone with medical conditions. | 要排除所有身体状况不佳的人 |
[09:28] | No one is admitted who might become a burden to the state. | 任何可能会给国家带来负担的人都不能获准 |
[09:31] | I would, of course, pay for her care. | 当然 我会负担她的医疗费用的 |
[09:34] | I’m afraid we’re facing the same obstacle | 恐怕 令郎爱德华 |
[09:36] | with your son, Eduard. | 也面临同样的困难 |
[09:37] | Mr. Secretary, I promised him. | 部长先生 我答应过他 |
[09:39] | Is there any way you can make an exception? | 有没有别的什么办法能通融一下 |
[09:42] | I’m sorry, my hands are tied. | 抱歉 我束手无策 |
[09:51] | 巴黎 1934年 | |
[09:53] | We have a pretty little garden | 我们有一个漂亮的小花园 |
[09:56] | with a magnificent elm tree. | 还有一颗巨大的榆树 |
[10:21] | Albert is getting everyone’s visas in order. | 阿尔伯特会解决所有人的签证 |
[10:24] | And soon we shall all be together in our little house. | 不久之后我们就可以在我们的小房子里团聚 |
[10:35] | It’s like a slow death, | 这就像慢性死亡 |
[10:37] | all of my good friends leaving. | 我所有的好朋友都要离去 |
[10:37] | 柏林 1934年 | |
[10:40] | I know you did everything you could, Max. | 我知道你已经尽力了 麦克斯 |
[10:42] | Germany has betrayed you, Fritz. | 德国背叛了你 弗里茨 |
[10:44] | No. | 不是 |
[10:45] | The Nazis have betrayed Germany. | 是纳粹背叛了德国 |
[10:49] | But when they are gone, | 但当他们失势了 |
[10:50] | I’ll come home. Ja. | 我就会回家 没错 |
[10:55] | We all will. | 我们都会回家 |
[10:58] | Palestine. Imagine that. | 巴勒斯坦 想想看 |
[11:01] | It’s ironic. | 很讽刺 |
[11:03] | I warned Albert not to get involved with the Zionists, | 我警告过阿尔伯特不要介入犹太复国主义 |
[11:06] | and now it’s the only place on God’s earth | 而现在那是全世界唯一 |
[11:08] | I seem to be welcome. | 能容纳我的地方 |
[11:10] | Perhaps the climate will be good for your heart. | 也许那里的天气对你的心脏有好处 |
[11:12] | Ja. | 是的 |
[11:13] | I will admit, | 我承认 |
[11:14] | it could use some healing. | 我的心需要被治愈 |
[11:37] | 硝酸甘油 | |
[11:49] | I’m sorry to disturb you, Frau. | 抱歉打扰了 夫人 |
[11:52] | Is there anything I can help you with? | 有什么我能帮到你的吗 |
[11:55] | No, thank you, Helen. I’m all right. | 不用 谢谢 海伦 我能行 |
[12:00] | I just wanted to say again… | 我想再重申一下 |
[12:03] | how very sorry I am about Ilse. | 我对伊尔泽的事表示很遗憾 |
[12:08] | She was very fond of you. | 她很喜欢你 |
[12:11] | We all are. | 我们都喜欢 |
[12:13] | You have become part of the family. | 你已经成为这个家的一员了 |
[12:17] | I am honored you would say so. | 听你这么说我很荣幸 |
[12:26] | Perhaps it is time to make you… | 也许现在是时候 |
[12:30] | a signatory on our bank accounts. | 把你的名字添加到我们的银行账户上了 |
[12:33] | I’m not sure I understand. | 我不太明白 |
[12:37] | Albert cannot handle money at all. | 阿尔伯特根本不懂理财 |
[12:43] | He will need you to do it for him. | 他会需要你帮他打理的 |
[12:55] | 瑞士 巴塞尔 去往巴勒斯坦途中 | |
[13:49] | Fritz is dead. | 弗里茨死了 |
[13:51] | Oh, Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[13:54] | No. | 天啊 |
[13:59] | Your dearest daughter and now this? | 先是你最爱的女儿 现在又碰上这事 |
[14:13] | Where are you going? | 你去哪 |
[14:14] | To work. | 工作 |
[14:15] | Oh, Albert, scratching equations | 阿尔伯特 解方程式 |
[14:17] | will not bring Fritz or Ilse back. | 并不能使弗里茨或伊尔泽起死回生 |
[14:19] | I cannot talk about this, Elsa. | 我想谈这个 爱尔莎 |
[14:21] | I simply cannot. | 我做不到 |
[14:22] | Who said anything about talking? | 谁说要谈了 |
[14:24] | Come, sit with me. | 来 和我一起坐着 |
[14:26] | My eyes are tired. | 我眼睛很累 |
[14:28] | It would be so wonderful if you would read to me | 如果你能读书给我听就太好了 |
[14:31] | like you used to. | 就像以前一样 |
[14:33] | It will take our minds off our cares. | 这可以让我们放松身心 |
[14:36] | Bohr and Podolsky are expecting me. | 波尔和波多尔斯基在等我 |
[14:38] | They will understand. | 他们会理解的 |
[14:39] | Please, Albert. It’s only for a little while. | 求你了 阿尔伯特 一小会就行 |
[14:42] | It’s Tolstoy. | 托尔斯泰 |
[14:43] | Your favorite. | 你的最爱 |
[14:47] | I cannot keep them waiting. | 我不能让他们等着 |
[14:57] | Albert wrote and asked me to read this to all of you. | 阿尔伯特写信给我并让我把它读给你们听 |
[15:01] | 哈纳克中心 德皇凯撒威廉研究院 | |
[15:05] | “My good friend Haber was a man of endless curiosity | “我的好朋友哈伯有着无尽的好奇心 |
[15:05] | and a passion for discovery. | 和探索的热情 |
[15:07] | He wanted to share his genius with his country. | 他想要把自己的智慧和祖国分享 |
[15:10] | That mattered more to him than anything else. | 这点对他来说比其他任何事都重要 |
[15:13] | And thus his bitter end is the tragic story of… | 然而他的结局是德国犹太人 |
[15:18] | …the unrequited love of the German Jew.” | 不求回报的爱的一个悲剧” |
[15:21] | The SS are outside. | 党卫军在外面 |
[15:23] | We must finish before they discover what we are doing. | 不能让他们发现我们在干什么 |
[15:25] | The entire country should be honoring Fritz, | 整个国家都应该向弗里茨哀悼 |
[15:27] | – Dr. Heisenberg. – Instead, | -海森堡博士 -然而 |
[15:29] | we skulk like cowards. | 我们却像懦夫一样东躲西藏 |
[15:31] | What other choice do we have? | 我们还能怎么样 |
[15:33] | If this is what we have come to, | 如果事情到了这个地步 |
[15:36] | perhaps we should leave like Albert did. | 也许我们也该像阿尔伯特一样离开 |
[15:38] | No. | 不行 |
[15:39] | It is our duty to stay, | 我们的职责是留下来 |
[15:40] | to ensure the future of German science. | 保障德国科学界的未来 |
[15:48] | Art is like science, Albert. | 艺术和科学一样 阿尔伯特 |
[15:50] | It cannot be rushed. | 不能着急 纽约市 |
[15:52] | Forgive my impatience, Sergei, but… | 原谅我的焦躁 谢尔盖 但是 纽约市 |
[15:55] | how much longer is this going to take? | 还要多久做完 |
[16:00] | An eternity, if you do not hold still. | 如果你不能保持不动的话永远好不了 |
[16:06] | Hello, darling. | 你好 亲爱的 |
[16:06] | Can you not see that I am working? | 你没看到我在工作吗 |
[16:09] | Aren’t you going to introduce me? | 你不帮我介绍一下吗 |
[16:12] | Dr. Einstein, | 爱因斯坦博士 |
[16:14] | my wife, Margarita. | 这是我妻子 玛格丽塔 |
[16:16] | It’s an honor to meet such a great man. | 见到这样一位伟人真是荣幸 |
[16:19] | I would rise to greet you properly, madam, | 我很想起身回礼 女士 |
[16:21] | but unfortunately, your husband has accepted | 但不幸的是 你的丈夫收了 |
[16:23] | a very generous commission from my boss, Mr. Flexner, | 我老板弗莱克斯纳先生一大笔钱 |
[16:27] | designed to keep me permanently silent, | 来让我保持永远的安静 |
[16:29] | immobile and on display. | 不得动弹 用来展览 |
[16:37] | It’s off to a fine start. | 头起得不错 |
[16:44] | But I’m afraid you have not made Dr. Einstein | 不过恐怕你没把爱因斯坦博士 |
[16:46] | nearly handsome enough. | 刻画得足够英俊 |
[16:52] | 白宫 罗斯福任内 1934年 | |
[16:53] | Fourth or fifth? | 隔四代还是五代 |
[16:54] | I beg your pardon? | 您说什么 |
[16:55] | Your wife. She’s your cousin. | 你的妻子 她是你的表姐 |
[16:57] | So is mine. | 我的也是 |
[16:59] | Fourth or fifth? | 隔四代还是五代 |
[17:00] | Elsa and I are first cousins. | 爱尔莎和我只隔了一代 |
[17:04] | Well, you Europeans are certainly more permissive than we Yankees. | 你们欧洲人果然比我们美国人宽容得多 |
[17:08] | Speaking of Europe, Mr. President, | 说起欧洲 总统先生 |
[17:10] | – I was hoping… – Come, now, Professor. | -我希望 -行了 教授 |
[17:12] | I didn’t invite the world’s most brilliant scientist | 我邀请世界上最杰出的科学家共进晚餐 |
[17:14] | to dinner to talk politics. No. | 不是为了讨论政治的 不是 |
[17:17] | I was hoping you could explain to me | 我本想让你给我解释下 |
[17:19] | this famous relativity theory of yours | 你那人尽皆知 |
[17:22] | that’s got everyone scratching their heads. | 却又令人费解的相对论 |
[17:24] | If I explain relativity to you | 如果我以你能理解的方式 |
[17:26] | in a way that you can understand, | 为你解释相对论 |
[17:29] | will you grant me a few moments to discuss Germany? | 你会给我点时间来讨论德国问题吗 |
[17:33] | It’s a deal. | 成交 |
[17:38] | If you are standing on hot coals, | 如果你站在炙热的煤炭上 |
[17:40] | a second feels like an eternity. | 你会觉得度日如年 |
[17:42] | But when you are in bed with a beautiful woman, | 但当你和一个漂亮的女人在床上 |
[17:45] | an hour passes in a split second. | 你就会觉得光阴似箭 |
[17:50] | That is relativity. | 这就是相对论 |
[17:53] | You win, Professor. | 你赢了 教授 |
[17:55] | But I know what you are going to say. | 但我知道你要说什么 |
[17:57] | You want me to take a stand against Mr. Hitler. | 你想让我反对希特勒先生 |
[17:59] | America must lead the world in opposing him. | 美国必须带头反对他 |
[18:02] | Boycotts, blockades… | 抵制 封锁 |
[18:04] | In a way, I envy the little bastard. | 在某种程度上 我羡慕那个小混蛋 |
[18:07] | He does whatever he wants. | 他想做什么做什么 |
[18:10] | But in this country, no man, not even the president, | 但在这个国家 没有人 包括总统 |
[18:12] | can act alone. | 都不能单独行动 |
[18:13] | Then you must persuade Congress. | 那你必须说服国会 |
[18:27] | I’m sorry I can’t help you, Professor. | 我很抱歉我帮不到你 教授 |
[18:29] | But allow me to offer a small consolation. | 但请允许我给你个小小的慰藉 |
[18:33] | I understand you’re applying for citizenship. | 我知道你在申请公民身份 |
[18:36] | I could expedite the process for you. | 我可以为你打点一下 |
[18:39] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 先生 |
[18:39] | But I don’t want any special treatment. | 但我不想要任何特殊待遇 |
[18:41] | That’s very noble of you, Professor, but | 这很高尚 教授 |
[18:43] | the citizenship test requires a lot of study. | 但公民入籍测试需要做很多功课 |
[18:46] | Promise me you’ll save some of that brain power | 保证你会为科学研究 |
[18:48] | for science. | 留点脑力 |
[18:49] | Imagine two particles. | 想象两颗粒子 |
[18:53] | Measure their mass. | 测量它们的质量 |
[18:55] | Stick them together. | 把它们凑到一起 |
[19:00] | Let them spring apart. | 让它们自己弹开 |
[19:01] | What happens? | 会发生什么 |
[19:04] | Their positions and their velocities are related, | 它们的位置和速度是相对的 |
[19:06] | – but… – The uncertainty principle | -但 -不确定性原理 |
[19:07] | says if we measure the position of one… | 说如果我们测量其中一个的位置 |
[19:09] | – Then we cannot measure its velocity. – Ah. | -那我们就无法测量它的速度 -对 |
[19:11] | But we can still measure the velocity | 但我们还是可以测量 |
[19:13] | of that second particle. | 第二个粒子的速度 |
[19:15] | And since they are both mathematically related, | 因为它们在数学上有相对关系 |
[19:17] | we can then determine the velocity | 我们之后可以计算出 |
[19:18] | of the first particle, | 第一个粒子的速度 |
[19:20] | so we’d know both its position and velocity | 所以我们不用两个都测 |
[19:23] | without having to measure them both. | 就知道两个的位置和速度 |
[19:31] | Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle disproved. | 海森堡的不确定性原理是错的 |
[19:34] | With certainty. | 确定无疑 |
[19:36] | You are vanquished, sir. | 你输了 先生 |
[19:37] | Hmm, but… | 但是 |
[19:39] | what if the act of measuring the first particle | 如果测量第一个粒子这个举动 |
[19:41] | influenced the second, | 会影响第二个粒子 |
[19:42] | changed it somehow at the time it was measured? | 测量的时候就改变第二个粒子怎么办 |
[19:44] | Impossible. That would be… | 不可能 那会是 |
[19:46] | spooky action at a distance. | 鬼魅般超距作用 |
[19:49] | “Spooky action.” | 鬼魅作用 |
[19:51] | You’re a better poet than you are a scientist. | 比起科学家 你是位更好的诗人 |
[19:55] | Surrender now, | 现在投降 |
[19:56] | and I will offer you generous terms. | 我就宽宏大量一下 |
[19:58] | Well, what did you have in mind? | 你脑子里有什么想法了 |
[20:00] | Elsa has made some wonderful strudel. | 爱尔莎做了一些美味的果馅奶酪卷 |
[20:04] | Helen! | 海伦 |
[20:06] | Bring us some strudel! | 给我们拿点果馅奶酪卷 |
[20:09] | Helen? | 海伦 |
[20:13] | I’ve been calling you. | 我一直在叫你 |
[20:42] | It’s as we suspected, Mrs. Einstein. | 正如我们所怀疑的 爱因斯坦夫人 |
[20:44] | Late stages of myocarditis. | 晚期心肌炎 |
[20:49] | So… | 所以 |
[20:50] | how do we treat it? | 我们怎么治疗 |
[20:54] | I’ll give you some time to be alone with your husband. | 我给你和你丈夫一点独处的时间 |
[21:04] | Elsa? | 爱尔莎 |
[21:11] | How could you keep this from me? | 你怎么可以瞒着我 |
[21:15] | I didn’t want to worry you. | 我不想让你担心 |
[21:18] | You have… | 你有 |
[21:19] | so much else in your mind. | 太多其他东西要担心了 |
[21:23] | Your science, your committees… | 你的科学事业 你的委员会 |
[21:29] | Don’t worry. | 别担心 |
[21:30] | Helen can take me home. | 海伦会带我回家的 |
[21:33] | You can go to work. | 你可以去工作了 |
[21:34] | I know that is what you need. | 我知道这是你想要的 |
[21:39] | I think I should like to read to you instead. | 我想我要念给你听 |
[21:57] | “The whole world is now divided into two parts. | “整个世界现在一分两半 出自《战争与和平》 |
[22:01] | “One half is she, | 一半是她 |
[22:03] | “And there is all joy, hope,light. | 那里充满了欢乐 希望和光明 |
[22:12] | “The other half is where she is not, | 另一半是没有她 |
[22:15] | and there is all gloom and darkness.” | 那里充满沮丧和黑暗” |
[22:30] | You make a lovely nurse, Dr. Einstein. | 你会是一个很可爱的护士 爱因斯坦博士 |
[22:35] | “‘I cannot come to visit you, | “我不能来看你 |
[22:37] | “‘but is it possible that I should never see you? | 但我怎么可能永远不看你 |
[22:40] | “I love you madly. Can I never?’ | 我爱你爱得如痴如狂 我能做到吗 |
[22:43] | “And blocking her path, | 在路上堵她 |
[22:45] | “He brought his face close to hers. | 他把脸凑近她 |
[22:59] | “Love hinders death. | 爱阻挡了死亡 |
[23:02] | “Love is life. | 爱就是生活 |
[23:04] | “Everything, everything I understand, | 一切 我理解的一切 |
[23:08] | I understand only because I love.” | 都只因我爱你 |
[23:20] | “Everything is, | 一切 |
[23:23] | “Everything exists | 一切的存在 |
[23:26] | only because I love.” | 都只因我爱” |
[23:55] | 哥伦比亚大学 纽约 1939年 | |
[23:58] | The Germans have split the nucleus of the atom. | 德国人已经分离了原子核 |
[24:01] | I didn’t believe it at first, | 起初我还不信 |
[24:02] | but that bastard Hahn, he actually did it. | 但那个混蛋哈恩 他真的做到了 |
[24:05] | My God, Niels. | 我的天呐 尼尔斯 |
[24:07] | Do you think… | 你觉得 |
[24:09] | A bomb? Impossible. | 炸弹 不可能 |
[24:11] | You could never find enough uranium. | 你永远也无法找到足量的铀 |
[24:13] | What if you could? | 如果你能呢 |
[24:14] | You’d need an army of scientists. | 那就需要一大批科学家 |
[24:18] | The Germans are very good at raising armies. | 德国人非常善于召集军队 |
[24:20] | All the best minds have left, though. | 但是所有杰出的人都离开了 |
[24:22] | Not Hahn. | 哈恩还在 |
[24:23] | Not Heisenberg. | 海森堡也在 |
[24:27] | We must inform the American government immediately. | 我们必须立即告知美国政府 |
[24:30] | Why would the American government listen | 美国政府为什么会听信于 |
[24:32] | to a couple of foreign nobodies like us? | 我们这些外国的无名小卒 |
[24:38] | I know someone they will listen to. | 我认识一个他们会听信的人 |
[24:40] | That’s strike one | 这位被称作 |
[24:41] | for the man they call “Einstein in knickers.” | “穿短裤的爱因斯坦”的选手第一击 |
[24:45] | “Einstein in knickers”? | “穿短裤的爱因斯坦” |
[24:47] | Why do they call him that? | 为什么这样称呼他 |
[24:49] | They say he’s the most intelligent | 他们说他是所有”球员”里 |
[24:50] | of all the ballplayers. | 最有天赋的 |
[24:52] | 纽约 长岛 1939年 如果爱尔莎听到他们在广播中 | |
[24:54] | if she heard them use my name like that on the radio. | 这样用我的名字 会起诉他们诽谤的 |
[25:05] | Mmm. Delicious. | 真好吃 |
[25:07] | More cinnamon this time? | 这次多放了肉桂吗 |
[25:10] | Maybe you’re just learning to like Russian sweets. | 也许是你开始习惯俄国的甜品了 |
[25:16] | That’s strike three for Moe Berg. | 这是莫·伯格的第三次击球 |
[25:16] | 波士顿 芬威球场 1939年 这是莫·伯格的第三次击球 | |
[25:19] | Moe might not swing the bat like he did | 莫也许无法像他15年前出道时 |
[25:21] | when he first came up 15 years ago, | 那样挥舞球棒 |
[25:24] | but he still has a cannon for an arm. | 但他的臂膀依然如大炮一般有力 |
[25:29] | Berg’s the smartest man in baseball. | 伯格是棒球界最聪明的人 |
[25:32] | Lawyer, Princeton grad, | 律师 普林斯顿大学毕业生 |
[25:35] | reads as many as ten newspapers a day, | 每天阅读十份报纸之多 |
[25:38] | speaks seven languages. | 能说七国语言 |
[25:39] | He is very smart. | 他非常聪明 |
[25:41] | Which reminds me, | 这倒提醒我了 |
[25:43] | you promised you’d help me prepare for my citizenship test, | 你答应过要帮我准备公民入籍测试的 |
[25:46] | not to distract me with baseball. | 可不是用棒球来让我分心 |
[25:52] | Shall we go to my study? | 我们去书房吧 |
[25:54] | I’d prefer you take me to bed. | 我更希望你带我上床 |
[25:59] | But you are married. | 但是你结婚了 |
[26:01] | Were you never unfaithful to your wife, Albert? | 你就从没对你妻子不忠过吗 阿尔伯特 |
[26:04] | Yes. | 有过 |
[26:06] | Quite often, in fact. | 实际上 经常 |
[26:10] | We had an understanding. | 我们达成了共识 |
[26:13] | Then what is the problem? | 那问题是什么呢 |
[26:18] | It’s funny. When Elsa was alive, I… | 很有趣 当爱尔莎活着的时候 我 |
[26:22] | I never felt any guilt about other women. | 我从未因其他的女人而感到内疚 |
[26:27] | Now that she’s gone… | 现在她去世了 |
[26:31] | I somehow feel I’d be betraying her. | 我反而觉得自己背叛了她 |
[26:48] | It’s been years, Albert. | 已经是陈年往事了 艾尔伯特 |
[26:52] | I know you still miss her very much, but… | 我知道你依然非常思念她 但是… |
[26:57] | you must be so lonely without her. | 没有她你一定非常孤独 |
[27:20] | How many years does a senator serve? | 一位参议员的任期是几年 |
[27:23] | – Four. – No, Albert, | -四年 -不对 艾尔伯特 |
[27:25] | this is the president. | 这是总统的任期 |
[27:28] | Two? | 两年 |
[27:29] | No, this is the congressman. | 不对 这是国会议员 |
[27:31] | A senator serves six. | 参议员的任期是六年 |
[27:35] | Now, the electoral college. | 接着 选举团制度 |
[27:37] | No, please. It makes no sense. | 别继续了 这没有任何意义 |
[27:46] | I know what you’re going to say. | 我知道你要说什么 |
[27:47] | She’s a married woman and I’m a foolish old man. | 她是个已婚的女人 而我是个愚蠢的老头 |
[27:50] | I was going to say there’s a Mr. Szilard here to see you. | 我想说的是 西拉德先生来找您了 |
[27:56] | Every split would cause… | 每次分裂都会引起 |
[27:59] | a tremendous chain reaction. | 巨大的连锁反应 |
[28:01] | You discovered this, Albert, decades ago. | 这是你发现的 艾尔伯特 数十年前 |
[28:04] | Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared. | 能量等于质量乘以光速的平方[E=mc2] |
[28:06] | Which means with only this much material | 这意味着只用苹果大小的物质 |
[28:09] | you can destroy a city the size of Berlin. | 就足以毁灭柏林那么大的城市 |
[28:12] | God help us all. | 上帝会帮助我们的 |
[28:14] | Albert… | 艾尔伯特 |
[28:17] | you are the most famous scientist in the world. | 你是这世界上最着名的科学家 |
[28:19] | You must tell the president. | 必须由你来和总统说 |
[28:21] | What should I say to the president? | 我该和总统说什么 |
[28:22] | That America’s scientists must build a bomb | 美国的科学家必须抢在 |
[28:24] | before the Germans do. | 德国人之前制造一个炸弹 |
[28:25] | I’m a devout pacifist. | 我是一个虔诚的和平主义者 |
[28:30] | Hitler is a madman. | 希特勒是个疯子 |
[28:31] | Imagine how he would use such a weapon. | 想象他会如何利用这样的武器 |
[28:32] | He could obliterate London, Moscow. | 他可以毁掉伦敦 莫斯科 |
[28:34] | Many years ago, Fritz Haber tried to convince me | 多年前 弗里茨·哈伯试图说服我 |
[28:36] | his poison gas would end the war more quickly. | 他的毒气会很快结束战争 |
[28:39] | It only made it more horrific. | 却只让事情变得更糟 |
[28:40] | Science must never be used for violence. | 科学决不可用于暴力 |
[28:45] | Do you think Adolph Hitler | 你觉得阿道夫·希特勒 |
[28:47] | shares your moral reservations? | 会和你持有相同的道德观吗 |
[28:49] | You must contact Roosevelt. | 你必须得联系罗斯福 |
[28:50] | He will listen to you. | 他会听你的 |
[28:51] | That’s the trouble, Leo. | 这才是问题所在 利奥 |
[28:54] | What if he does? | 如果他听了呢 |
[29:01] | Achieving an atomic chain reaction | 实现原子链反应 |
[29:03] | will be the greatest feat | 将会成为德国科学史上 |
[29:04] | 柏林 德皇凯撒威廉研究院 1939年 将会成为德国科学史上 | |
[29:04] | in the history of German science. | 最伟大的成就 柏林 德皇凯撒威廉研究院 1939年 |
[29:08] | And to think, | 想想看 |
[29:09] | the Fuhrer has put you in charge of all of it. | 元首让你负责所有事情 |
[29:18] | Carl… | 卡尔 |
[29:27] | What if we succeed? | 如果我们成功了呢 |
[29:32] | Then they will write books about us. | 那人们将会把我们写进书里 |
[29:35] | The Fuhrer himself | 元首将会亲手 |
[29:37] | will pin medals on our chests. | 为我们佩戴勋章 |
[29:39] | We shall be heroes. | 我们将成为英雄 |
[29:59] | Something troubling you, Professor? | 什么事让你烦心 教授 |
[30:03] | I do not suppose I have ever felt more uncertain | 我对自己做的事情是否正确 |
[30:05] | about whether or not what I’m doing is right. | 从未如此不确定过 |
[30:12] | What would Frau Einstein have advised you to do? | 爱因斯坦夫人会建议你怎么做呢 |
[30:16] | I expect she would have reminded me | 我猜她会提醒我 |
[30:18] | that I once told her we must fight Hitler however we can. | 我曾经告诉她我们必须拼尽一切与希特勒抗争 |
[30:24] | Then you have your answer. | 这就是你要的答案 |
[30:33] | God forgive me if I’m making a terrible mistake. | 如果我正犯下一个严重的错误 请上帝原谅 |
[30:38] | “Based on this new phenomenon, it is conceivable, | “根据这种新现象 我们虽然无法确定 |
[30:41] | though much less certain, | 但有理由相信 |
[30:43] | that an extremely powerful bomb | 一种拥有巨大能量的 |
[30:45] | of a new type may be constructed.” | 新型炸弹可能会被制造出来” |
[30:47] | – “A single bomb…” – “A single bomb of this type, | -“一颗这种 -“一颗这种炸弹 |
[30:49] | carried by boat and exploded in a port, | 以船运送 并在港口爆炸 |
[30:52] | might very well destroy | 可能完全毁掉 |
[30:53] | the whole port together | 整个港口 |
[30:55] | with some of the surrounding territory.” | 以及周遭一些区域” |
[30:58] | Good God. | 天啊 |
[30:59] | I don’t need to tell you what could happen | 我不用多解释如果德国人 |
[31:01] | if the Germans develop this technology before we do. | 比我们早发展出这种技术会发生什么事 |
[31:05] | We’ll all be doing the goose step. | 我们全都会受到德国统治 |
[31:07] | Or worse. | 或者更惨 |
[31:09] | Which is why I’m asking you to take charge of a program | 所以我要求你负责一个项目 |
[31:12] | to research and develop an atomic weapon. | 研发一种原子武器 |
[31:17] | It’d require tremendous resources. | 这会需要大量资源 |
[31:19] | Of that I have no doubt. | 这我绝不怀疑 |
[31:22] | I’d need wide latitude to manage the project… | 我会需要各领域人才来推进这个计划 |
[31:24] | the scientists, the military, clandestine operations. | 科学家 军队 秘密行动 |
[31:27] | Secrecy would be vital, sir. | 保密会变得很重要 先生 |
[31:30] | We couldn’t let the Krauts get onto us. | 我们不能让德国人领先 |
[31:31] | Everyone involved will need security clearance. | 参与计划的每个人都需要安全检查 |
[31:41] | Einstein? | 爱因斯坦 |
[31:43] | No. | 不行 |
[31:46] | No, Einstein is out. | 爱因斯坦不能参加 |
[31:48] | You haven’t even run his background, Edgar. | 你根本还没调查他的背景 埃德加 |
[31:50] | The Bureau has been concerned about Einstein for years. | 调查局多年来都在关注爱因斯坦 |
[31:55] | He’s a radical. | 他是个激进份子 |
[31:56] | Almost certainly a communist. | 也很可能是共产主义者 |
[31:57] | He’s the man who informed the president | 就是他告诉总统 |
[31:59] | of the urgency of this matter. | 这件事的急迫性 |
[32:01] | He cannot be trusted | 他不可信 |
[32:03] | to be loyal to our country. | 他不一定会忠诚于我们国家 |
[32:06] | I will support and defend | 我将支持及扞卫 |
[32:08] | the Constitution and laws | 美利坚合众国 |
[32:10] | of the United States of America… | 宪法与法律 |
[32:13] | …against all enemies, foreign and domestic… | 反对国内外一切敌人 |
[32:20] | …that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States | 我将遵循法律要求 |
[32:23] | when required by the law. | 为美国执起武器 |
[32:25] | …that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States | 我将遵循法律要求 |
[32:29] | when required by the law. | 为美国执起武器 |
[32:31] | Albert, you have just become an American. | 阿尔伯特 你刚成为美国人 |
[32:34] | Why ever would you want to learn Russian? | 为什么想要学俄语 |
[32:36] | So I can tell you I love you in your own language. | 这样我就可以用你的母语对你说我爱你 |
[32:49] | Ya tebya lyublyu. | [俄语]我爱你 |
[32:52] | Ya teba… | 我爱 |
[32:54] | lyu… lyublyu? | 泥 你 |
[32:55] | Lyublyu. | 你 |
[32:58] | Ya tebya lyublyu. | 我爱你 |
[33:02] | Ya tebya lyublyu. | 我爱你 |
[33:13] | Oh, uh, I-I’m sorry, I didn’t, uh… | 我 我很抱歉 我不是 |
[33:16] | Oh, Leo. | 利奥 |
[33:17] | How wonderful to see you. | 见到你真好 |
[33:19] | You remember my friend, Margarita. | 你还记得我的朋友玛格丽塔吗 |
[33:20] | – Hello. – She’s teaching me Russian. | -你好 -她在教我俄语 |
[33:24] | Yes. Very nice to see you again, madam. | 对 很高兴再次见到你 夫人 |
[33:26] | I do beg your pardon. | 请你原谅我的冒失 |
[33:28] | Come in, come in. | 进来 进来 |
[33:30] | Please forgive us, Margarita. | 恕我们失陪 玛格丽塔 |
[33:33] | Why don’t you make us some of your delicious piroshki? | 你何不为我们做些可口的俄式小馅饼 |
[33:35] | Of course. | 当然好 |
[33:45] | They rejected me. | 他们拒绝我了 |
[33:48] | Who did? | 谁 |
[33:49] | The atomic bomb program. | 原子弹计划 |
[33:50] | They won’t give me a security clearance. | 他们不肯给我做安全调查 |
[33:53] | I need you to put in a word for me. | 我需要你为我说几句话 |
[33:55] | They didn’t give me a security clearance either. | 他们也没有给我做安全调查 |
[33:58] | – What? – Frankly, it’s a relief. | -什么 -其实这让我松了口气 |
[34:00] | It’s one thing to write a letter, | 写一封信是一回事 |
[34:01] | another thing entirely to help build a bomb. | 帮忙制造炸弹是另一回事 |
[34:08] | So you find a Russian girlfriend | 你找到一个俄国女友 |
[34:09] | and now I have no one to speak up for me. | 而我却没人为我发声了 |
[34:13] | Leo, what on Earth are you talking about? | 利奥 你到底在说什么啊 |
[34:15] | Well, they obviously suspect her. | 他们很明显在怀疑她 |
[34:18] | Of what? | 怀疑什么 |
[34:19] | Decoding my poetry, reporting it to the Kremlin? | 解密我的诗作 报告给克里姆林宫吗 |
[34:22] | I’m not saying it’s true, I’m simply saying | 我不是说这是事实 我只是说 |
[34:24] | it’s a question they would ask. | 这是他们会怀疑的问题 |
[34:25] | Why would such a beautiful young woman… | 为什么一个年轻美丽的女人会 |
[34:30] | Ever pay attention | 会注意到 |
[34:31] | to a disheveled old fool like me? | 一个像我这样的蓬头垢面老傻瓜 |
[34:40] | Albert, I-I didn’t mean to… | 阿尔伯特 我 我不是要 |
[34:41] | It’s all right, Leo. | 没关系 利奥 |
[34:44] | I just let my imagination run away from me. | 我的想像太过夸张了 |
[34:46] | I’m sure she cares for you very much. | 我相信她一定很在乎你 |
[34:49] | Yes. | 对 |
[34:51] | I’m sure she does. | 我相信她是的 |
[35:08] | Air must have leaked in somehow. | 一定是有空气跑进去了 |
[35:09] | It’s ignited the uranium powder. | 空气点燃了铀粉 |
[35:11] | We must cool it. More water over here! | 我们必须冷却它 拿更多水过来 |
[35:14] | No, it’s too late. The pile’s lost stability. | 不 太迟了 反应堆失去稳定了 |
[35:16] | Everybody out! Now! | 大家都出去 快点 |
[35:18] | Go, go! | 快 快 |
[35:20] | Now! | 快点 |
[35:25] | So you have achieved atomic detonation? | 所以你已经实现原子爆炸了 |
[35:28] | It was not the atomic material itself that exploded. | 并不是原子材料本身爆炸 |
[35:28] | 纳粹党总部 柏林 1942年 并不是原子材料本身爆炸 | |
[35:31] | It was the pressure from the steam that burst the container. | 而是蒸气的压力冲破容器 |
[35:40] | Your work has progressed quite slowly, Werner. | 你的工作进度相当缓慢 沃纳 |
[35:43] | And now you have managed | 现在你又成功 |
[35:44] | to destroy a very expensive laboratory. | 毁掉一间非常昂贵的实验室 |
[35:47] | One could arrive at the conclusion that your heart | 我们可以认为 你的心灵与头脑 |
[35:49] | and mind are not fully committed to this undertaking. | 并没有完全奉献在这项工作中 |
[35:53] | That is not true, sir. | 不是这样的 先生 |
[35:54] | I am ambitious to make a stable reactor. | 我正在努力制造一座稳定的反应炉 |
[35:56] | The Fuhrer does not care about a reactor! | 元首根本不在乎反应炉 |
[35:58] | Your priority must be a weapon. | 你必须优先研究武器 |
[36:10] | Constructing a weapon is an extremely difficult process. | 制造武器是一个及其困难的过程 |
[36:13] | If you are not capable, I will find a man who is. | 如果你不行 我就去找行的人 |
[36:20] | I can do this, Mr. Halliwell. | 我可以做 哈利威尔先生 |
[36:26] | I don’t doubt your qualifications. | 我并不质疑你的能力 |
[36:32] | What I don’t understand is why. | 我不明白的是为什么 |
[36:36] | I’m too old to join the army. | 我年龄太大已无法参军 |
[36:43] | If we do take you on, well… | 如果我们要接纳你 那么 |
[36:49] | let’s just say you might be asked | 话说在前面 你可能会发现 |
[36:50] | to do things that you find, uh… | 你要被派去做的事 |
[36:53] | unsavory. | 令人厌恶 |
[36:57] | However I can contribute, sir. | 只要能有所贡献 先生 |
[37:00] | This isn’t a game, Moe. | 这可不是游戏 莫 |
[37:01] | Mr. Halliwell, | 哈利威尔先生 |
[37:03] | I’m a grown man who has spent his life | 我耗费此生就是为了 |
[37:04] | trying to hit a ball with a stick. | 能真正有所成就 |
[37:07] | I’m tired of playing games. | 我已厌烦了游戏 |
[37:11] | 普林斯顿 1942年 | |
[37:18] | Dr. Einstein? | 爱因斯坦博士 |
[37:20] | Yes? | 你好 |
[37:21] | Vannevar Bush, | 我是万尼瓦尔·布什 |
[37:22] | Director of the National Defense Research Council. | 国防研究委员会的主任 |
[37:31] | We were hoping you could help us with some calculations. | 我们希望你能为我们做一些运算 |
[37:48] | You’re trying to force uranium isotopes | 你们想要把铀同位素 |
[37:50] | into a gaseous state. | 转化为气态 |
[37:52] | If we don’t show some results soon, our funding may dry up. | 如果不尽快出结果 我们的基金就要用完了 |
[37:56] | I’m sorry, but I’m quite busy. | 很抱歉 我很忙 |
[37:59] | They’re only a few equations, Professor. | 只是些方程罢了 教授 |
[38:01] | Then again, just one of my equations | 再次 就是我的一个方程 |
[38:03] | seems to have started all this madness. | 演变出了所有这些疯狂的事 |
[38:08] | So… | 所以 |
[38:11] | I really shouldn’t be telling you this, | 我不该告诉透露给你的 |
[38:13] | but our intelligence services have reported | 但是我们的情报部门报告了 |
[38:15] | rumblings from Germany. | 一些来自德国的消息 |
[38:16] | We know the Nazis are putting everything they have | 我们知道纳粹正在全力以赴 |
[38:18] | into building a bomb. | 制造炸弹 |
[38:23] | You are aware my security clearance has been denied? | 你知道我没有权限知道这些吧 |
[38:26] | That’s why we have to keep this conversation | 所以我才要确保只有我们俩 |
[38:27] | strictly between us. | 知道这次对话 |
[38:28] | Nobody can know about this. | 不会有人知道的 |
[38:30] | God forbid the Germans… | 上帝不允许德国人 |
[38:32] | or the Russians… | 或者俄国人 |
[38:34] | learn what we’re doing. | 得知我们的计划 |
[38:46] | Albert? | 阿尔伯特 |
[38:48] | I thought you were coming to bed. | 我以为你准备睡觉了 |
[38:49] | Yes, of course. | 对 就来 |
[38:50] | Just a few minutes more. | 还有一会儿 |
[38:51] | Don’t be too long. | 别耽搁太久 |
[39:41] | What are you looking for? | 你在找什么 |
[39:46] | Could not sleep. | 睡不着 |
[39:47] | My book wasn’t where I left it in the kitchen. | 我的书没在原先厨房里的地方 |
[39:49] | I thought perhaps… | 我想着也许… |
[39:50] | …perhaps Helen put it here. | 也许海伦放在这儿了 |
[39:52] | Well, I woke up with my stomach grumbling for a midnight snack. | 我的胃吵着要吃夜宵 于是就醒了 |
[39:56] | Well, then, let me make you something to eat. | 那好吧 我给你做点吃的 |
[39:59] | Why not? | 那太好了 |
[40:08] | All of this is, of course, very complicated, but if something | 所有这些当然都很复杂 但要说 |
[40:09] | 联邦理工学院 瑞士 苏黎世 1944年12月 所有这些当然都很复杂 但要说 | |
[40:12] | has been particularly unclear this evening, I can assure you | 今晚有什么不清楚的 我保证 |
[40:14] | it’s because of my inability to explain it properly. | 那是因为我的能力不足以解释清楚 |
[40:16] | Listen for certain words. | 留神听某些字眼 |
[40:19] | Heavy water, fast fission, | 重水 快中子裂变 |
[40:20] | plutonium. | 钚 |
[40:22] | If anything Heisenberg says leads you | 如果海森堡说的话表明 |
[40:23] | to believe he is close to constructing a bomb… | 他与制造炸弹有关 |
[40:26] | Kill him. | 处决他 |
[40:28] | Right there in the lecture hall? | 就在演讲厅里吗 |
[40:30] | We can’t allow the Germans to get this weapon. | 我们不能让德国人得到这样的武器 |
[40:32] | And just as importantly, we can’t allow the Russians | 同样重要的是 我们不能让俄国人 |
[40:35] | to get their hands on Heisenberg. | 得到海森堡 |
[40:38] | Even if the Nazis don’t succeed, | 即使纳粹没有成功 |
[40:41] | we’ve got to keep the Commies | 我们也必须确保共产主义者 |
[40:42] | from getting these secrets, too. | 不知晓这些秘密 |
[41:03] | A fascinating lecture, Herr Professor. | 演讲太棒了 教授 |
[41:05] | Although I am afraid some of it was beyond my abilities. | 不过恐怕有些内容超出了我的理解能力 |
[41:08] | I know how busy you must be, but if it is not an imposition, | 我知道您一定很忙 但如果不打扰的话 |
[41:11] | perhaps I can walk you back to your hotel. | 也许我可以陪您走回旅馆 |
[41:13] | I have a few questions. | 我有一些问题 |
[41:16] | I’m surprised you are teaching | 没想到你在中学里 |
[41:17] | such advanced ideas in secondary school. | 教这么先进的理念 |
[41:19] | Alas, I only teach the fundamentals. | 我只是教了一些基础原理而已 |
[41:22] | Although I do like to keep up with the latest developments. | 不过我确实喜欢关注最新的进展 |
[41:26] | I suppose I still harbor the fantasy | 也许我仍然抱有幻想 |
[41:29] | I could be a real physicist like you. | 希望能成为您这样的物理学家 |
[41:32] | What would you like to know? | 你想知道些什么 |
[41:34] | The topic that most interests me is atomic fission. | 最吸引我的议题是核裂变 |
[41:38] | The journals say that it will become a source of energy | 杂志上说 这会成为比煤炭甚至石油 |
[41:41] | more powerful than coal or even oil. | 更强大的能源 |
[41:44] | That is certainly our hope. | 我们确实希望如此 |
[41:46] | I have also read | 我还读到 |
[41:47] | that it could be used to create a bomb. | 这可以用来制造炸弹 |
[41:52] | Is this true? | 是真的吗 |
[41:53] | A weapon is only theoretical. | 武器还只在理论阶段 |
[41:56] | Yes, but, theoretically, | 是的 但是 理论上讲 |
[41:59] | if you had the materials, | 如果你有了材料 |
[42:00] | could it be done? | 就能成功吗 |
[42:05] | It would be an extremely difficult process. | 这将会是一个极其困难的过程 |
[42:09] | But I have a question about | 不过我倒有个关于核裂变的 |
[42:11] | atomic fission for you, Herr Ritter. | 问题要问你 里特尔先生 |
[42:17] | If you were a real physicist, | 如果你是一名真正的物理学家 |
[42:19] | one who knew how to build such a weapon, | 你知道如何制造武器 |
[42:22] | and you knew it would help your country win a war… | 你也知道这会帮你国家在战争中得胜 |
[42:27] | …but that it could also kill thousands… | 但这也可能会屠杀万千生灵 |
[42:34] | …what do you suppose would be stronger… | 你觉得哪一个会更强大 |
[42:36] | your patriotism… | 你的爱国之心 |
[42:39] | or your moral qualms? | 还是你的道德感 |
[42:43] | I suppose… | 我觉得 |
[42:47] | if I were | 如果我 |
[42:49] | a true patriot… | 真的很爱国 |
[42:53] | I would have to push those qualms aside. | 那我必须把良心的谴责暂时放在一边 |
[43:00] | Would you really? | 真的吗 |
[43:09] | Tell me, uh… | 告诉我 |
[43:12] | do you know my uncertainty principle? | 你知道我的测不准原理吗 |
[43:15] | Of course. | 当然知道 |
[43:17] | Uh, the… the more precisely | 粒子的速度 |
[43:20] | you measure a particle’s velocity, | 测量得越精准 |
[43:22] | the less precisely you know its position. | 得知其位置就越不准确 |
[43:27] | So perhaps the more precisely you attempt to take my measure, | 所以也许你越准确地试图使用我的测量 |
[43:31] | the less precisely you will know my position. | 你就越不知道我的准确位置 |
[43:39] | Good night, Herr Ritter. | 晚安 里特尔先生 |
[43:51] | Thank you for your time, Herr Professor. | 谢谢你抽时间和我聊 教授 |
[44:01] | The Germans do not have a bomb. | 炸弹不在德国人手里 |
[44:10] | I’m told the intelligence is quite conclusive. | 我相当肯定地告诉了情报局 |
[44:13] | Well, if you are right, | 如果你说得对 |
[44:15] | we can all take a breath. | 那我们就都能松一口气了 |
[44:17] | But I’m also hearing | 但我也听说 |
[44:18] | that our American friends are very close to succeeding. | 我们的美国朋友就快成功了 |
[44:21] | Even if that is true, | 如果那是真的 |
[44:23] | Hitler and his grey geese are in retreat. | 希特勒和他的党羽正在撤退 |
[44:25] | The Americans will not need an atomic bomb to defeat Germany. | 美国人不需要原子弹来击退德国人 |
[44:29] | What about Japan? | 那日本呢 |
[44:31] | They wouldn’t. | 也不需要 |
[44:32] | That’s why I am here, Albert. | 所以我才来找你 阿尔伯特 |
[44:34] | To ask you to write another letter to Roosevelt. | 来请你再给罗斯福写一封信 |
[44:37] | To tell him this weapon must never be used. | 告诉他这件武器一定不能使用 |
[44:45] | Are you not the same man that stood before me | 难道你不是六年前那个 |
[44:48] | six years ago and begged me | 站在我面前求我 |
[44:50] | to get this godforsaken project started? | 让这项天杀的计划得以启动的人了吗 |
[44:53] | This bomb… some say it could start | 这个原子弹 有人说 |
[44:55] | a chain reaction that would ignite the atmosphere itself. | 它引发的一系列反应会点燃大气层本身 |
[44:58] | Write to the president, Albert, before it’s too late. | 写信给总统 阿尔伯特 否则就太迟了 |
[45:20] | 您非常忠实的阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 | |
[45:31] | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 普林斯顿梅塞街112号 | |
[45:33] | This is a late bulletin from our nation’s capital. | 这是我们国家首都最新的公告 |
[45:37] | 1945年四月十二日 | |
[45:37] | The president of the United States, | 美国总统 1945年四月十二日 |
[45:40] | Franklin Delano Roosevelt, | 富兰克林· 德拉诺·罗斯福 |
[45:42] | is dead. | 已经过世 |
[45:44] | It appears he has died from a cerebral hemorrhage. | 他似乎是死于脑溢血 |
[45:48] | Vice President Truman and the cabinet are meeting now | 杜鲁门副总统以及内阁成员 |
[45:50] | at the White House to settle all matters | 正在白宫开会 |
[45:52] | of public importance. | 解决所有重要的公众事务 |
[45:54] | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 普林斯顿梅塞街112号 | |
[45:55] | All we know so far is that the president died… | 目前我们只知道总统过世了 |
[46:00] | 柏林 两周后 | |
[46:05] | The Fuhrer is dead! | 元首已死 |
[46:07] | The Fuhrer is dead! | 元首已死 |
[46:08] | We must evacuate Berlin! | 我们必须撤离柏林 |
[46:35] | 1945年 纽约中央公园 | |
[47:03] | You are being recalled. | 你即将被召回国 |
[47:10] | I’m more useful here. | 我在这更能发挥作用 |
[47:13] | Useful? Really? | 发挥作用 真的吗 |
[47:15] | Have you brought us anything of value | 你有没有从你的教授朋友那 |
[47:17] | from your professor friend? | 给我们带来任何有价值的东西呢 |
[47:25] | He’s not my only source. | 他不是我唯一的资源 |
[47:29] | Tell Moscow I wish to stay. | 跟莫斯科说我希望能留下来 |
[47:31] | Why? | 为什么 |
[47:33] | Because you have made the unforgivable mistake | 因为你犯下了不可原谅的错误 |
[47:35] | of falling in love with your target? | 爱上了你的目标人物吗 |
[47:40] | You will do as you are told, Comrade. | 你必须遵照命令行事 同志 |
[47:50] | I don’t understand why you are leaving. | 我不明白你为什么要走 |
[47:56] | There is someone else? | 你有别人了吗 |
[47:57] | No. | 不是 |
[47:59] | No, Albert. | 不是 阿尔伯特 |
[48:03] | But I do… | 但我真的 |
[48:04] | I do love my country. | 我真的热爱我的国家 |
[48:08] | Russia has been devastated by the war, | 俄国已经被战争给摧毁了 |
[48:10] | and I am needed at home. | 我的国家需要我 |
[48:16] | You know, I often suspected you wanted more from me | 我经常怀疑 你对我的需求 |
[48:18] | than just my company. | 不只是想做我的伴侣 |
[48:21] | Albert… | 阿尔伯特 |
[48:23] | But it’s so hard for an old man to find companionship. | 但是一个老人要找个伴不容易 |
[48:31] | I suppose I convinced myself. | 看来我说服了自己 |
[48:35] | Why couldn’t both things be true? | 为什么鱼和熊掌不可兼得呢 |
[48:41] | Why couldn’t you love your country, | 为什么你不能既热爱你的国家 |
[48:44] | and also love me? | 又爱我呢 |
[48:58] | You really are a brilliant man. | 你真是个聪明的人 |
[49:17] | Professor? | 教授 |
[49:20] | I’ve just heard it on the radio. | 我刚刚听到收音机里说了 |
[49:24] | They have dropped a bomb on a city in Japan. | 他们在日本的一个城市上空投掷了炸弹 |
[49:30] | They say it used the power of the atom. | 他们说用的是原子能 |
[49:34] | My God. | 天呐 |
[49:37] | It is an atomic bomb. | 这是原子弹 |
[49:39] | It is a harnessing of the basic power of the universe. | 这是在利用宇宙的基本力量 |
[49:43] | The force from which the sun draws its power has been loosed | 太阳从中汲取的这一能量 |
[49:47] | against those who brought war to the Far East. | 被释放在那些带到远东的人们 |
[49:47] | 1945年 英国 战时集中营 被释放在那些带到远东的人们 | |
[49:51] | We have spent more than $2 billion | 我们把超过二十亿的美元 |
[49:54] | on the greatest scientific gamble in history, | 用在了史上最大的科学冒险上 |
[49:57] | and we have won. | 而我们获胜了 |
[49:59] | Yanks beat you Jerries again, didn’t they? | 美国佬再次打赢了德国兵 对吧 |
[50:01] | …not the size of the enterprise, | 不是企业的大小 |
[50:04] | its secrecy, or its cost, | 其保密性或是其费用 |
[50:07] | but the ach… | 但是… |
[50:16] | How did they do it? | 他们是怎么做到的 |
[50:21] | It’s an extremely simple process, actually. | 其实这是一个极其简单的过程 |
[50:29] | Get me a pencil and a piece of paper and I’ll show you. | 给我一只铅笔和一张纸 我来告诉你们 |
[50:47] | 《泰晤士报》 | |
[50:59] | 都市碎片 爱因斯坦 所有物质都是速度与火焰 |