时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:13] | Pins for the bones. | 插骨头的针 |
[00:16] | There’s nothing to believe. | 没什么好相信的 |
[00:18] | Threads for the muscles. | 缝肌肉的线 |
[00:21] | When you die, you rot. | 你死后 会腐烂 |
[00:22] | Paint for the skin. | 皮肤上的涂料 |
[00:25] | It’s just stories, snake oil, | 都只是故事而已 就像骗人的万灵蛇油 |
[00:28] | but worse, because snakes are real. | 但却更恶劣 因为毕竟蛇是真的 |
[00:31] | Give me my fucking coin, dead wife. | 把那该死的金币还给我 死人妻 |
[00:35] | – Was it love? – I suppose it is now. | -是因为爱情吗 -但我想现在是了 |
[00:38] | I’m gonna reach up under those ribs, | 我会将手伸进你的肋骨 |
[00:40] | and I’m gonna pluck that coin out of you like a berry. | 像采摘莓果一样将金币从你体内拿出来 |
[00:44] | Take us to Kentucky. | 带我们去肯塔基 |
[00:45] | I’ll tell you where to find your jinn. | 我会告诉你到哪里找你的精灵 |
[00:47] | I’ll tell you where to find a whole murder of gods, | 我会告诉你去哪里能找到一场屠杀 |
[00:48] | demi and otherwise, every goddamn one of ’em. | 对神 半神及其他鬼玩意儿的屠杀 |
[02:25] | 留声机 维柯托留声机公司 | |
[02:36] | BGM: Turn On That Red Hot Heat (Feat. Teddy Grace) by Mal Hallett & His Orchestra | |
[03:06] | Irish Red Ale. | 爱尔兰红啤酒 |
[03:09] | Brewed it just like the Franciscan monks | 按照1231年基尔肯尼方济会 |
[03:12] | in Kilkenny in 1231. | 修士的方法酿造 |
[03:15] | The well water was poison. | 井水有毒 |
[03:18] | This beer saved lives. | 啤酒拯救了大家 |
[03:22] | It’s past six. | 六点多了 |
[03:23] | I still have the cheek to do and the lips. | 我还有脸颊和嘴唇没弄好 |
[03:26] | Well, he doesn’t show ’til the afternoon. | 他到下午才出现 |
[03:28] | We need the table. We got two more coming in the morning. | 我们需要桌子 早上还会再来两个 |
[03:31] | A woman and a much younger woman. | 一位女士和年轻很多的另一位女士 |
[03:33] | No call yet. | 还没来电 |
[03:34] | They pass within the hour. | 她们一小时内死掉的 |
[03:37] | – Lover’s quarrel? – Overdose. | -情侣吵架吗 -服药过量 |
[03:40] | We get so few lover’s quarrels these days. | 这年头很少遇得到情侣吵架了 |
[03:43] | You want help? | 要帮忙吗 |
[03:45] | You have a story to tell. | 你有话要说 |
[03:48] | Do I? | 是吗 |
[03:51] | I can see it in your fingers. | 我从你的手指就能看出 |
[04:30] | 来到美国 1721年 | |
[04:33] | It is fine fiction that America was founded by Pilgrims | 美国是由寻找信仰自由的朝圣者建立的 |
[04:38] | seeking freedom to believe as they wished, | 这就像小说般不真实 |
[04:40] | that they came to the Americas, | 他们来到美洲大陆 |
[04:42] | spread and bred and filled the empty land. | 为空旷的土地带来人烟 牲口和粮食 |
[04:46] | In truth, the American colonies | 其实 美洲殖民地 |
[04:49] | were as much a dumping ground as an escape, | 无异于一座垃圾场 避难所 |
[04:51] | a forgetting place. | 被遗忘之处 |
[04:56] | Lover’s quarrel. Shall I? | 情侣吵架 我能接吗 |
[04:59] | I’ve got it. Go on. | 我来 你继续吧 |
[05:03] | Ibis and Jacquel. Mm-hmm. Two females? | 艾比斯和杰奎尔殡仪馆 两位女士 |
[05:06] | In the days when you could be hanged | 当年 如果偷了十二便士 |
[05:08] | in a London prison for the theft of 12 pennies, | 就会被绞死在伦敦某座监狱里 |
[05:11] | the Americas became a symbol of clemency. | 而美洲大陆就成了仁慈的象征 |
[05:17] | Transportation, it was called. | 这就是所谓的「流放」 |
[05:22] | For five years, for 10 years, for life, | 五年 十年 一辈子 |
[05:25] | you were sold to a captain and would ride his ship | 你被卖给某个船长 搭乘他的船 |
[05:28] | crowded tight as a slaver’s. | 挤得像贩奴船 |
[05:33] | Off the ship you were sold as an indentured servant | 下船后 你被当成契约佣仆卖掉 |
[05:36] | to the one who would take the cost of your skin out | 你将用劳动偿付 |
[05:39] | in your labor. | 买主付出的价格 |
[05:40] | But at least you were not waiting to hang | 但至少你不必在英国的某座监狱 |
[05:43] | in an English prison. | 等着被绞死 |
[05:51] | And when your years of indenture were complete, | 等你契约到期 |
[05:54] | you were free to make the best of your new world. | 你就可以自由开创自己的新世界 |
[05:57] | Of the New World. | 在美国这个新世界 |
[06:13] | Essie MacGowan? | 艾茜·麦克格温 |
[06:25] | I am reminded of the life of Essie MacGowan. | 我想起了艾茜·麦克格温的一生 |
[06:35] | As a young girl, she was not a hard worker, | 作为一个小姑娘 她不够勤奋 |
[06:38] | forever slipping off and away | 总偷偷溜走 |
[06:40] | to listen to stories and tales, | 去听人讲故事 |
[06:42] | tales of the trouping faeries and the shape-shifting púcas. | 听群居仙子和变身精灵的故事 |
[06:47] | Of banshees wailing in the night, foretelling a death, | 还有夜里哀嚎预示死亡来临的班西女妖 |
[06:50] | and best of all, tales of the leprechauns. | 而她最喜欢听小矮妖的故事 |
[07:16] | You waiting for your Pa’s ship to come in, hmm? | 你在等你爸爸的船靠岸吗 |
[07:19] | Oh, well, he’ll get back soon enough. | 他很快就会回来 |
[07:24] | Maybe a merrow in seal-skins got caught in his nets | 或许他捕到了一只穿海豹皮的美人鱼 |
[07:27] | and he’s convinced her | 他说服了她 |
[07:29] | to give up her plunder from the shipwrecks. | 交出从沉船上掠夺的宝物 |
[07:33] | Ah, plenty of hidden fortune to be had above the waves, hmm? | 海浪埋藏了很多隐蔽的宝贝 |
[07:38] | See that hill? | 看到那座山丘了吗 |
[07:41] | A fairy mound. | 精灵的山丘 |
[07:43] | A door to the world of the Aos Sí. | 是通往精灵世界的大门 |
[07:46] | And if you’re lucky, you might catch a glimpse of the little folk | 你要是运气好 或许能在暮色中 |
[07:50] | as they pass through at twilight. | 看到小精灵们穿过去 |
[07:53] | They’re merry folk, and full of music. | 他们很欢乐 满是欢歌笑语 |
[07:56] | Oh, except for the leprechauns. | 小矮妖除外 |
[08:00] | The leprechauns. | 小矮妖 |
[08:02] | They are so busy guarding their gold | 他们忙着守护自己的金子 |
[08:06] | that they’ve no time for anything else at all. | 根本无暇顾及其他事 |
[08:09] | Why do we leave them a gift? | 我们为什么要给他们献礼 |
[08:13] | Because we want their blessings, so we better. | 因为要得到他们的祝福 最好献上礼物 |
[08:27] | And when she was no longer a young girl, | 等她不再是个小姑娘了 |
[08:30] | curved and billowed like the swell of the green sea, | 像蓝色大海的波浪一样起伏有致 |
[08:33] | it was she who kept alive the old practice, | 是她让古老的习俗流传下来 |
[08:36] | and she who told the tales. | 也是她在讲故事 |
[08:39] | We leave a meal for the fair folk | 要是想得到精灵的祝福 |
[08:40] | if we want their blessings. | 就得给他们献上食物 |
[08:42] | We don’t skimp, neither. | 也不能吝啬 |
[08:44] | The cream from the milk, the softest crumb you’ve got at hand. | 牛奶中提取的奶油 手头最柔软的面包屑 |
[08:48] | For it’s favor on one side of the coin, and wrath on the other. | 因为做好了就是恩惠 做不好就是暴怒 |
[08:52] | Ballybogs, no doubt, they can be reasoned with. | 当然可以跟沼泽王理论 |
[08:55] | Leprechauns, oh, they’re a different story altogether. | 小矮妖 他们就是另一回事了 |
[09:00] | Help you with your troubles one day, | 可能某天帮你解决了麻烦 |
[09:02] | and bite your eyes out the next. | 第二天就把你的眼睛咬掉了 |
[09:04] | It’s true. One night, | 真的 有一天晚上 |
[09:07] | the kind that chills you to your inner bones, | 寒冷到刺骨 |
[09:09] | I was walking to the lighthouse | 我当时朝灯塔走去 |
[09:11] | to bring me father some pigeon stew and bread. | 给我父亲送些炖鸽子和面包 |
[09:13] | And that’s when I heard it: | 当时我听到一声 |
[09:15] | boom! | 嘭 |
[09:17] | Boom! | 嘭 |
[09:18] | Like a hammer. | 锤子击打的声音 |
[09:20] | “Who goes there?”, I ask. | 「谁在那」 我问道 |
[09:23] | No answer. | 没人回答 |
[09:24] | I think about turning back, | 我在想要不要回去 |
[09:26] | then my curiosity gets the better of me. | 但我被好奇心驱使 |
[09:29] | So I go towards it, | 于是朝那东西靠近 |
[09:30] | only the closer I get, | 我越靠近它 |
[09:32] | the farther away it goes. | 它就跑得越远 |
[09:34] | Finally, I turned around | 最终我回头 |
[09:36] | and I’d wandered so far into the moors, | 但我在荒野中游荡了那么久 |
[09:39] | that I can’t find me way back. | 我找不到回去的路了 |
[09:41] | Three hours, I wandered in the dark, | 我在黑暗中游荡了三个小时 |
[09:44] | and not a thing familiar, | 一切都是那么陌生 |
[09:46] | but then I remembered what me gran told me | 但在那时我想起了奶奶和我说的 |
[09:49] | about the leprechaun. | 矮妖精的故事 |
[09:51] | So, I swallow my hunger and I take my bread, | 我强忍住饥饿 把我的面包 |
[09:55] | and I put it down on a mossy stone, | 放到了块长满苔藓的石头上 |
[09:57] | and I lay down to sleep beside it. | 然后我在一旁睡下了 |
[10:00] | And then you’ll never believe it: | 接下来难以置信的事情发生了 |
[10:02] | when I woke up, the bread was gone. | 当我醒来后 面包不见了 |
[10:05] | And there was the lighthouse, the one I’d been looking for. | 我找了好久的灯塔就在我的眼前 |
[10:08] | It was only a spit away. | 就只有几步路远 |
[10:10] | So you see, the faerie folk may be small, | 妖精也许听起来很微不足道 |
[10:14] | don’t let that fool ya. | 但别被它骗了 |
[10:15] | They can make real trouble unminded. | 如果不注意的话会很麻烦的 |
[10:39] | Intelligence has never been uncommon among women. | 女人一直都很聪慧 |
[10:43] | And beauty is had by all of 17. | 在17岁的女孩也都很漂亮 |
[10:48] | But Essie possessed a rare token of ambition. | 但艾茜还拥有少见的野心 |
[11:01] | She had paid close attention to the tales. | 她仔细研究了那些故事 |
[11:05] | She knew what the moment wanted. | 她知道该要什么 |
[11:19] | It was all the money she had in the world. | 这是她仅有的钱 |
[11:22] | There were many silks and lace she coveted, | 她渴望许多丝绸和蕾丝 |
[11:25] | and she’d never once been full | 她也从没吃白面包和 |
[11:26] | of white bread or syllabub. | 奶油葡萄酒吃饱过 |
[11:28] | But she knew one does not ask favors of a leprechaun | 但她知道得需要一枚金币才能 |
[11:32] | without a kindness of gold. | 请矮妖精帮忙 |
[12:30] | It was first time for neither, | 他们俩都不是第一次 |
[12:33] | a fact neither felt worthy of mention, | 没有必要说这事实 |
[12:35] | for this sensation was new to both. | 因为这感觉对他们来说都很新鲜 |
[12:52] | Gonna forget me, aren’t you? | 你会忘了我 是吗 |
[12:55] | You go off to Oxford, | 你去牛津之后 |
[12:57] | gonna meet some society lady. | 会遇见些社交名媛 |
[13:02] | Gonna forget all about me. | 就会把我全忘了 |
[13:13] | It had been a gift from his grandfather to his grandmother | 这是他祖父向他祖母求婚时 |
[13:16] | when they had courted, | 送给她的 |
[13:18] | and Bartholomew placed it in her hand | 巴瑟罗曼把它放到了她的手里 |
[13:20] | with the promise to marry her upon his return at Christmas. | 向她保证圣诞节回来时会娶她的 |
[13:26] | But, as Essie warned, | 但就像艾茜告诫的 |
[13:28] | the Fair Folk are a fickle lot. | 妖精是变化无常的 |
[13:46] | Me pa told the merrow | 我爸对美人鱼说 |
[13:48] | that he wouldn’t give her back her seal-skins | 只有她带他去水下世界 |
[13:49] | until she took him to the land under the waves, | 到他去她藏宝藏的地方 |
[13:51] | shows ’em where she stowed the treasure. | 他才会把海豹皮还给她 |
[13:53] | It was easier for the mistress of the house | 女主人更容易 |
[13:55] | to believe Essie capable of being a thief | 相信艾茜是个小偷 |
[13:59] | than seducing her son’s affections. | 而不是她勾引到了他儿子 |
[14:05] | “Did you give this to her freely?” | 「你是自愿给她的吗」 |
[14:07] | his mother asked. | 他妈妈问道 |
[14:08] | The answer required was implicit in the question. | 问题已经蕴含了答案 |
[14:23] | “You must hang for this, girl,” Said the judge. | 「你被处以绞刑」 法官说到 |
[14:26] | Perhaps noticing her age or her eyes, he paused. | 也许是注意到了她的年龄或是眼睛 法官停了一下 |
[14:30] | “However, as charity breeds charity, | 「但是善举会滋生善举 |
[14:34] | I offer an alternative.” | 我有其他判决」 |
[14:47] | Essie was sentenced to seven years transportation. | 艾茜被判以七年流放 |
[14:52] | She was transported on a ship called the Neptune | 她被押送到一艘叫「海王星号」的船上 |
[14:55] | under the command of one Captain Clark. | 船长名叫克拉克 |
[14:58] | Headed for the Carolinas | 船驶向卡罗莱纳 |
[15:00] | where she would serve her sentence. | 她将会在那服刑 |
[15:09] | Though hunger gripped her belly with both hands, | 纵然她饱受饥饿的折磨 |
[15:13] | she never neglected to leave a small crumb | 她从未忘记留一点点面包屑 |
[15:16] | for the leprechauns. | 给矮妖精 |
[15:41] | As luck would have it, | 幸运的是 |
[15:43] | Essie conceived an alliance with the Captain, | 艾茜说服了船长成为她的同谋 |
[15:46] | and prevailed upon him to return her with him to London | 让他带着她一起返回伦敦 |
[15:51] | where no man knew her. | 在那里没人认识她 |
[15:54] | The journey back, | 「海王星号」返航 |
[15:55] | when the human cargo had been exchanged for tobacco, | 装犯人的货舱装满棉花和烟草 |
[15:58] | was a happy time for the sea-faring lovers, | 对这对海上情人来说是段美好的时光 |
[16:01] | who were as butterflies courting, | 他们比翼双飞的蝴蝶 |
[16:03] | in constant contest as to who could be the most grateful, | 无休止地比较着谁更感激 |
[16:09] | each insistent their life had been saved by the other. | 都坚持是对方拯救了自己 |
[16:19] | Upon their return to London, the captain opened his home | 回到伦敦后 船长把他的新娘 |
[16:23] | to his new bride. | 接回了家里 |
[16:36] | Eight weeks later, the Neptune, | 八周后 「海王星号」 |
[16:39] | its human cargo, replenished, readied to set sail again. | 又满载犯人 准备再次出发了 |
[16:43] | The captain swore to carve the most from the wind | 船长发誓会尽可能乘风破浪 |
[16:46] | and return to Essie’s hands faster | 要比所有人都要快地 |
[16:49] | than any man has ever crossed an ocean. | 漂洋过海回到艾茜身边 |
[17:41] | Her world branded Essie MacGowan a thief. | 她的世界给艾茜·麦克格温打上了小偷的烙印 |
[17:46] | So a thief she became. | 所以她变成了一个小偷 |
[18:36] | ‘Tatanka Ska’, a white buffalo believed sacred by the Lakota, | 「美洲牛」 被拉科塔部落奉为神圣的白水牛 |
[18:40] | was born here on the ranch of Derek Arnold Jr., | 2008年六月10号出生于 |
[18:43] | on June 10th, 2008. | 德瑞克·阿诺德二世的农场 |
[18:46] | Thousands came in pilgrimage to see it. | 成百上千的人前来朝圣 |
[18:48] | “Sadly, both Derek and the calf | 「伤心的是它出生一年后 |
[18:50] | were killed by a lightning strike a year to the day after its birth.” | 德瑞克和小牛就被闪电劈死了」 |
[18:54] | What you get for putting a god in a petting zoo. | 这就是把神放到动物园里的下场 |
[18:57] | Why’d we stop? | 我们为什么停下 |
[18:58] | I need to pray. | 我得祈祷 |
[18:59] | You just prayed! | 你刚祈祷过 |
[19:01] | How many times a day is this gonna be? | 你这一天要做多少次 |
[19:03] | Tell me you don’t do the full load. | 别跟我说你要做全套 |
[19:05] | I do. | 没错 |
[19:06] | I pray five times a day. | 我一天祈祷五次 |
[19:08] | Oh, God is great. I’m having a piss. | 你的神真棒 我要去撒尿 |
[19:16] | You can join if you like. | 你想的话可以一起来 |
[19:18] | I can show you. | 我可以给你演示下 |
[19:19] | I’m just watching. | 我看着就行 |
[19:21] | So do you love God? | 你是爱戴神 |
[19:23] | Or are you in love with God? | 还是爱上了神 |
[19:26] | I hadn’t thought of it that way. | 我没往这方面想过 |
[19:27] | Yes, I suppose it’s so. | 是啊 我想也许是这样 |
[19:30] | I do love my God. | 我确实爱我的神 |
[19:56] | Fuck off. | 滚开 |
[19:59] | I will eat you. | 别让我吃了你 |
[20:01] | I’m on my way to Wisconsin, per the arrangement, | 我正要去威斯康星呢 按照约定 |
[20:03] | which I have kept my end of. | 我这边可是乖乖遵守着 |
[20:06] | He doesn’t like it? | 他不喜欢 |
[20:08] | You tell that one-eyed gowl– | 你告诉那个独眼老头… |
[20:11] | You tell– | 你告诉 |
[20:13] | Fuck you. | 操你的 |
[20:15] | That’s what you tell him. | 你就这么跟他说 |
[20:18] | Talking to the birds? | 和鸟聊天呢 |
[20:20] | Christ. | 天啊 |
[20:21] | Can a man get a moment alone with his prick? | 就不能让男人和他的鸟单独相处一会吗 |
[20:23] | I think we should let Salim go. | 你应该让萨利姆走 |
[20:25] | No, we should fucking not. | 不 我们不应该 |
[20:26] | We can make our own way from here. | 从这里开始咱俩就够了 |
[20:28] | From here is from nowhere. | 这里哪里都不是 |
[20:29] | I got business after your business. | 我在处理完你的事之后还有别的事 |
[20:30] | Pack up the rug, back in the car, we got ground to cover. | 拿起毯子 回车上去 咱们还有路要走 |
[20:33] | We’re near enough, we don’t need him anymore. | 咱们够近了 不再需要他了 |
[20:34] | I’m only taking this detour for you. | 我绕路只是为了你 |
[20:36] | You and that coin in your belly | 你和你肚子里那枚硬币 |
[20:38] | are the only reasons I’m not driving straight to House On The Rock. | 是我不直接去山崖石的唯一理由 |
[20:41] | Christ. | 天啊 |
[20:43] | Think a girl on the way to her own resurrection | 我还以为一个要准备重生的女孩 |
[20:45] | might be keen on getting there as soon as possible. | 会想要越早到那里越好 |
[20:47] | No, no, no! | 别别别 |
[20:52] | House On The Rock, Wisconsin. | 山崖石屋 威斯康星州 |
[20:54] | That’s where they’re going. | 他们就是要去那里 |
[20:55] | That’s where they’re all gonna be. | 他们都会到那里 |
[20:57] | Why would you do that? | 你这是干什么 |
[20:57] | I’m releasing him. You are released from your bargain. | 我要放了他 你已经完成了交易 |
[21:01] | Fuck off. Go find your man. | 滚吧 去找你的人 |
[21:03] | Your God, your jinn. | 你的神 你的精灵 |
[21:09] | You are an unpleasant creature. | 你是个讨人厌的生物 |
[21:38] | Hello? | 你好 |
[21:40] | Can I, uh, help you with something, ma’am? | 有什么我能帮到你的吗 女士 |
[21:41] | Yes, I’ve always wanted to steal a car. | 有 我一直想偷一辆车 |
[21:44] | So I’m gonna steal yours. | 所以我要偷你的 |
[21:47] | Well, it’s not mine, it’s my boss’s. | 这个不是我的 是我老板的 |
[21:49] | Okay, well, then, I’m stealing his. | 那好吧 我就偷他的 |
[21:51] | I don’t know how much is here, but you take that, | 我不知道这里有多少 但你拿着 |
[21:53] | you tell your boss that you were robbed, which you have been. | 告诉你老板你被打劫了 这也是真话 |
[21:56] | My boss is never gonna believe me if I look like this. | 我老板看我这样是绝对不会信的 |
[21:59] | No, you look fine. You look great. | 你看起来挺好 你看着不错 |
[22:01] | No, he means without having a bit of a tussle. | 不是 他是说没有一点打斗痕迹 |
[22:03] | He wants me to punch him. | 他想让我打他 |
[22:04] | Whoa, you could kill me. Can she do it? | 你会打死我的 能让她来吗 |
[22:07] | Trust me, you don’t want this one hitting you. | 相信我 你不会想让她打你的 |
[22:15] | Malice draped in pretty can get away with murder. | 恶意粉饰一下可以洗脱谋杀罪 |
[22:20] | Essie MacGowan had no incline to murder, | 艾茜·麦克格温没有杀人的倾向 |
[22:23] | but she had long since stopped thinking theft as sin. | 但是她早已不把偷盗当成罪了 |
[22:50] | Over the following years, | 在接下来的几年 |
[22:51] | Essie became an accomplished shoplifter, | 艾茜成为了一名熟练的扒手 |
[22:54] | her wide skirts | 她宽大的裙子 |
[22:55] | capable of concealing a multitude of sins. | 能够遮掩许多罪行 |
[23:12] | Though the work was not honest, | 虽然工作不光彩 |
[23:14] | she lived by her own labors | 但她是靠自己双手过活 |
[23:15] | and owed thanks to no man. | 只靠自己不感谢任何男人 |
[23:20] | She saved her thanks for the creatures | 她把感谢留给那个 |
[23:23] | she had been told of as a child | 小时候她听说的精灵们 |
[23:25] | whose influence, she was certain, | 她确信它们的影响 |
[23:27] | extended as far as London. | 已经延伸到了伦敦 |
[24:09] | Unfortunately, the more abundant the blessings, | 不幸的是 我们受到的恩惠越大 |
[24:12] | the more we forget to pray. | 我们就越会忘记祈祷 |
[24:46] | “You are charged with returning from transportation | 你被判流放私回 |
[24:49] | and you are charged with theft.” | 以及偷窃 |
[24:59] | Essie was taken to Newgate Prison | 艾茜被带到了纽盖特监狱 |
[25:01] | where it was only a matter of time | 在那里她面临绞刑 |
[25:04] | until she would face the gallows. | 只是时间问题 |
[25:35] | Don’t eat what’s in the bowl, | 别吃碗里的东西 |
[25:37] | unless you like shitting yourself dry. | 除非你想拉稀致死 |
[25:39] | Stick to the bread. | 只吃面包就行 |
[25:43] | Pretty girl like you don’t belong here. | 你这种漂亮女孩不属于这里 |
[25:47] | How do you know what I look like? | 你怎么知道我什么样 |
[25:49] | I can hear a voice hadn’t had its fill of screaming. | 我能听出还没被尖叫淹灭的声音 |
[25:53] | Well, I most definitely do not belong here. | 我是肯定不属于这里 |
[25:58] | I was just at the pub for a cup of ale. | 我就是在酒吧喝点麦芽酒 |
[26:00] | Good lad. I was even gonna pay for it, | 好小伙 我都要付钱了 |
[26:04] | when some flange cuts in front of me | 一个机械工在我挡在了我前边 |
[26:06] | like fucking King fucking George. | 就想想是他妈乔治王似的 |
[26:09] | So I give him a good chock, just a warning. | 所以我结实地给了他一下 当做警告 |
[26:11] | And he topples head first into a broken bottle. | 然后他脑袋朝下跌倒在碎瓶子上 |
[26:14] | Lost the eye, they tell me. | 一只眼睛没了 他们告诉我的 |
[26:16] | Plenty of flanges do well with just one. | 很多机械工一只眼也能干活 |
[26:20] | What of you, Miss, you take an eye? | 你怎么回事 小姐 也弄瞎别人眼了 |
[26:23] | Lace. | 偷蕾丝 |
[26:24] | Not too dear. | 不太贵 |
[26:26] | Reason to hope on transportation, then. | 有理由盼望能判流放 |
[26:28] | I’m past that hope. | 我已经不抱希望了 |
[26:30] | I had my opportunity. | 我机会已经过了 |
[26:33] | Doesn’t seem right, just giving you the one. | 直接判你绞刑不合理 |
[26:36] | Well, the world don’t operate on right. | 这世界可不按照理智运作 |
[26:39] | That it doesn’t. | 确实不是 |
[26:41] | To hell with them and their gallows. | 让那些家伙和他们的绞刑架下地狱去吧 |
[26:44] | Give them a good, long piss as you dangle. | 在你吊死的时候冲他们撒泡长尿 |
[26:46] | Make a mess for them to mop after. | 让他们之后打扫麻烦点 |
[26:49] | So long as you don’t go easy. | 只要别简单地就这么死了 |
[26:52] | So, you sailed the boat prior, then? | 那么你之前是坐过流放船吧 |
[26:55] | Made it far as Carolina. | 最远到过卡罗莱纳州 |
[26:57] | Musha! The Americas! | 美洲大陆 |
[27:00] | How was it? | 那里如何 |
[27:01] | I don’t know, didn’t stay long enough to see much | 我不知道 在那里没呆多久 |
[27:04] | before heading back to London. | 我就回伦敦了 |
[27:06] | I didn’t give it a chance. | 我没有给它机会 |
[27:07] | Shame. I hear there’s chances there. | 可惜 我听说那里是机会的大陆 |
[27:11] | You could try a bribe. | 你可以尝试贿赂一下 |
[27:13] | Warden would free his own heart from his chest for a bit of gold. | 一点金币可以让看守人自己掏出心脏 |
[27:17] | Just ran out. | 钱刚用完 |
[27:18] | Would I could give you some of mine. | 我可以把我的一些给你 |
[27:21] | You’ve got gold? | 你有金子 |
[27:22] | Had. Quite a bit. | 以前有 还不少呢 |
[27:25] | Held it in keeping. | 我保管着金子 |
[27:28] | Drank my share but delivered | 拿分给我的钱去喝酒 |
[27:30] | the balance on time where it was meant. | 剩下的按时送到该去的地方 |
[27:32] | To who? | 给谁 |
[27:34] | The King. | 国王 |
[27:37] | We’re in prison, love. | 我们在监狱里 亲爱的 |
[27:39] | All we have to do is tell tales. | 能做的只有讲故事了 |
[27:41] | You’ve told your share, I wager. | 你肯定也说过自己的故事 |
[27:47] | I met an Indian woman there. | 我在那里遇到了一个印第安女人 |
[27:50] | In the Americas. | 在美国 |
[27:53] | She had an apple cart. | 她有一辆手推车 |
[27:54] | Sold pound cakes in the morning. | 早上推出来卖磅蛋糕 |
[27:57] | Skin like a brick. | 皮肤像墙一样粗糙 |
[27:59] | I asked her name and she said, “Susan.” | 我问她的名字 说叫苏珊 |
[28:03] | A woman like her called “Susan”? | 像她这样的女人叫苏珊 |
[28:05] | I said, “What name were you born to?” | 我问 你的本名叫什么 |
[28:07] | And she just said, “I’m Susan now.” | 她只是说 我现在叫苏珊了 |
[28:12] | In the Americas, anyone can be anything they insist upon. | 在美国 任何人都可以成为他想做的人 |
[28:16] | New name, new life. | 新名字 新生活 |
[28:20] | That’s a place a body could be happy. | 那是可以让人快乐的地方 |
[28:23] | What the fuck is happy? | 什么是快乐 |
[28:24] | Fucked if I know. | 我怎么会知道 |
[28:28] | I think I knew when I was a little girl. | 我想我还是小女孩的时候知道 |
[28:31] | Sitting on the shingle | 坐在海边石滩上 |
[28:33] | waiting for me father’s boat to return from sea. | 等着父亲出海归来 |
[28:35] | Now I’d be content to be content. | 现在我知足就好 |
[28:40] | A home, a tree. | 一个家 一棵树 |
[28:45] | Someone kind enough to be by me. | 身边能有个好人 |
[28:48] | Not too kind. | 也不要太好 |
[28:50] | I’ve been living on my boots and out of my pockets | 我一直是孑然一身 孤独行走 |
[28:53] | long since I can remember. | 日复一日 年复一年 |
[28:57] | You could get lucky. | 幸运也许会降临在你身上 |
[28:58] | You’d do all right there. | 你在那里可以活得很好 |
[29:00] | The fuck would I do in the Americas? | 我在美国能做什么 |
[29:01] | Deliver gold to their king. | 给国王送金子 |
[29:05] | They don’t have a king. | 他们那没有国王 |
[29:06] | Not yet. | 暂时没有 |
[29:09] | Everyone needs a king. | 人人都需要一个国王 |
[29:48] | Is it this cold in here every night? | 这里的每个夜晚都这么冷吗 |
[30:03] | The condemned never know | 囚犯们从来无法得知 |
[30:04] | when the hangmanhas coiled his noose. | 死亡的绞索何时到来 |
[30:17] | I, uh… | 我 |
[30:20] | I got this food myself, from the kitchen. | 我自己从厨房拿了这些食物 |
[30:23] | Fresh bread, fresh fruit. | 新鲜的面包和水果 |
[30:27] | Meat pie. | 肉馅派 |
[30:33] | Such a shame, to let you go to waste at the gallows. | 多可惜 让你这样的可人儿命丧绞刑架 |
[30:37] | The Warden of Newgate then made three factual statements: | 纽盖特监狱的狱长说了三件事 |
[30:41] | that it would be a good 12 weeks before her case would be heard, | 第一 她的案子还要12周以后才能受审 |
[30:45] | that she was, to his mind, a very pretty thing, | 第二 在他心里她是个美人 |
[30:49] | and that there was a way that she might, luck smiling, | 最后 可能会有一个方法 |
[30:53] | escape the gallows yet. | 让她逃出生天 |
[31:10] | When her turn came, Essie shocked no one | 当她受审的时候 不出所料 |
[31:13] | by pleading her belly. | 她声称自己有了孩子 |
[31:15] | The town matrons who assessed such claims, | 负责检查的女舍监见过不少类似的情况 |
[31:17] | which were usually spurious, were surprised | 通常都是伪冒的 然而令人惊讶的是 |
[31:20] | when they were forced to agree | 她们不得不一致同意 |
[31:22] | Essie was indeed with child. | 艾茜的确怀孕了 |
[31:30] | Her sentence of death was once more commuted | 她再一次被免于死刑 |
[31:32] | to transportation, this time for life. | 这一次她被终身流放 |
[31:37] | In her days ever after, she would have nightmares | 很久以后 她仍然会在噩梦中 |
[31:40] | of her time in that hold. | 想起那段苦难的日子 |
[32:09] | The Sea-Maiden landed at Norfolk in Virginia, | 她在弗吉尼亚的诺福克郡上岸 |
[32:12] | and Essie’s indenture was bought by a tobacco farmer | 一个烟草种植主买下了她的卖身契 |
[32:15] | named John Richardson, | 名叫约翰·理查德森 |
[32:17] | for his wife had died of fever | 他的妻子在生下女儿一周之后 |
[32:19] | a week after giving birth to his daughter, | 死于热病 |
[32:22] | and he had need of a wet nurse and a maid | 他需要一个奶妈和女佣 |
[32:25] | of all work upon his small holding. | 来照顾他刚出生的女儿 |
[32:47] | And along with her milk, the children as they grew, | 孩子们逐渐成长 除了她的奶水之外 |
[32:50] | drank Essie’s tales. | 还受到她所讲故事的熏陶 |
[32:59] | But the willow-man goes walking | 如果你还不回家 |
[33:06] | Walking if you stay out | 柳树人就会四处溜达 |
[33:34] | Quit it, you fucking baby. | 行了 你个弱鸡 |
[33:37] | We’re not all hanger steaks. | 我不像你是个冷冻牛排 |
[33:54] | Have at it. | 你吃吗 |
[33:55] | Seeing as how my stomach is sewn shut | 鉴于我的胃被缝上了 |
[33:57] | and not connected to the organs of digestion, | 又没有跟消化器官连在一起 |
[33:59] | I think I will pass. | 我还是算了 |
[34:00] | You’ll be eating again soon enough. | 你很快就能吃东西了 |
[34:02] | If your resurrection guy can do it. | 如果你那个会复活术的人能办到的话 |
[34:03] | Can and will, for a favor. | 能做也一定会做 为了人情 |
[34:06] | Not for gold. | 而不是金子 |
[34:12] | How much gold do you have? | 你到底有多少金子 |
[34:15] | How much is in a hoard? | 秘密宝库里有多少金子呢 |
[34:16] | What the fuck is a hoard? | 什么是秘密宝库 |
[34:17] | And why do you have one? | 而且你为什么会有宝库 |
[34:20] | I was a king, once. | 我曾经是个国王 |
[34:22] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[34:23] | I was. | 我真的是 |
[34:25] | Then they made me a bird. | 然后他们把我变成了一只鸟 |
[34:27] | Then Mother Church came along and turned us all into saints, | 然后教堂出现了 把我们变成了圣人 |
[34:29] | and trolls, and faeries. | 巨怪 妖精 |
[34:32] | General Mills did the rest. | 后来就是通用磨坊公司的杰作了 |
[34:34] | So what’s the appeal? | 所以到底哪里吸引了你 |
[34:35] | What’s Wednesday selling at this god-fest | 星期三在众神集会上要做什么 |
[34:37] | that you’ve got to get a ticket? | 你那么想参与进去 |
[34:41] | War. | 战争 |
[34:47] | I went to war once. | 我参加过一次战争 |
[34:50] | Or was meant to. | 或者我本该参加的 |
[34:53] | Long time back. | 很久很久以前 |
[34:55] | On the eve of battle I looked into the fire… | 在战争前夜我望着火堆 |
[35:01] | and I saw my death, sure as Sunday. | 我看见自己的死亡 像周日一样笃定 |
[35:05] | I saw. | 我看见了 |
[35:23] | I knew I would die that day if I stayed. | 我知道如果我留下一定会死 |
[35:31] | Put on my boots, | 我穿上靴子 |
[35:34] | and dropped my sword, | 丢下我的剑 |
[35:37] | and I flew. | 我逃走了 |
[35:45] | I owe a battle. | 我欠了一场战争 |
[35:50] | You’re following Wednesday so that you can fight in his war | 你跟着星期三在他的战争里打仗 |
[35:52] | and die, and for that, you run his errands? | 然后死去 所以你替他跑腿 |
[35:57] | I done worse than that. | 我做过更差劲的 |
[36:02] | Dying worked for me. | 死亡对我很管用 |
[36:03] | Everyone should try it at least once. | 每个人都应该尝试一次 |
[36:06] | Seems like you’ve walked the earth a couple hundred years | 看起来你已经穿着那双靴子 |
[36:08] | in those boots already, so, you’re due. | 在世间行走了数百年 你也该死了 |
[37:25] | The night of Samhain, | 在萨温节的晚上 |
[37:27] | the spirits can spill freely into our world, | 幽灵可以在人间自由漫步 |
[37:30] | but if you wear a disguise, like that, | 如果你伪装起来 就像这样 |
[37:34] | then they’ll take you for one of their own. | 他们会把你当成同类 |
[37:36] | Horsies coming! | 马儿来了 |
[37:37] | Yes, your daddy’s home. | 是的 你爸爸回来了 |
[37:40] | But we have to pay special mind of who? | 但是我们一定要特别注意谁来着 |
[37:42] | The lep…? | 精 |
[37:43] | …prechaun. | …矮妖精 |
[37:45] | Leprechaun, that’s right. | 爱尔兰矮妖精 没错 |
[37:47] | So we just leave a small ration from our harvest. | 所以我们把小部分收成拿出来 |
[37:50] | ‘Cause if they so choose, | 因为如果他们拿走了 |
[37:52] | they can lead you off the path | 他们会指引你踏上那条 |
[37:53] | you’ve trod a thousand times before. | 你已经走了上千次的路 |
[37:59] | She told them all these things and they believed | 她把这故事讲给他们听 他们信了 |
[38:02] | because she believed. | 因为她深信不疑 |
[38:20] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[38:21] | I just finished up, sir. | 我刚刚弄完 先生 |
[38:26] | Well, goodnight, Master Richardson. | 晚安 理查德森主人 |
[38:29] | Wait. | 等等 |
[38:37] | Master Richardson. | 理查德森主人 |
[38:41] | I never realized… | 我从没想过… |
[38:43] | that you took me for… | 您把我当做… |
[38:45] | Essie told him how shocked and hurt she was, | 艾茜告诉他自己觉得既震惊又受伤 |
[38:48] | a poor widow woman to be asked to prostitute herself | 一个可怜寡妇被自己万分尊重的男人 |
[38:51] | for a man whom she had so much respect for. | 当做妓女来看待 |
[38:53] | An indentured servant could not marry, | 有契约束缚的女仆是不能结婚的 |
[38:55] | so how could he think to torment | 他怎么会有调戏 |
[38:57] | an ill-starred transportee girl, | 被流放的可怜女孩的非分之想 |
[39:00] | she could not fathom. | 她无法理解 |
[39:02] | A poor transportee girl who’s got feelings for you. | 一个被流放的可怜女孩对您心生情愫 |
[39:10] | Feelings that you can’t possibly return. | 这种感觉却无法得到您的回应 |
[39:15] | Essie… | 艾茜… |
[39:15] | John Richardson found himself going down on one knee | 约翰·理查德森单膝跪地 |
[39:19] | and proposing an end to her indenture. | 提出终止和她的契约关系 |
[39:32] | Until he had taken her hand in marriage, | 在他们牵手结为夫妇前 |
[39:34] | Essie did not so much as kiss Master Richardson. | 艾茜从没亲过理查德森主人 |
[39:38] | But when he did, she did, | 但之后 他们相互亲吻 |
[39:42] | and from that day on, she called him John. | 从那天起 她叫他约翰 |
[39:55] | They called their son the same. | 他们给儿子起相同的名字 |
[40:02] | When the children went off to school to learn their letters, | 每当孩子们要去学校上学时 |
[40:04] | Essie made sure they each of them | 艾茜会确保每个孩子 |
[40:06] | carried a little salt in one pocket, | 在一个口袋里放些盐 |
[40:08] | a little bread in the other, | 在另外的口袋放些面包 |
[40:10] | to make sure they came safely home once more. | 以确保他们能一次次安全到家 |
[40:15] | They always did. | 事实也是如此 |
[40:20] | John Richardson loved her kindly. | 约翰·理查德森对她爱的十分温柔 |
[40:25] | They had been married a decade when Essie swore she heard | 他们结婚十年后 有一晚艾茜发誓说 |
[40:28] | a banshee keen in the night. | 她听到班西女妖恸哭的声音 |
[40:32] | A week later, the fever carried him off. | 一周后 他因高烧而辞世 |
[41:10] | There were good days and there were bad | 在此期间 他们有过甜蜜时刻 |
[41:13] | in the usual balance, but there were many. | 也历经艰难时期 但还有更多美好时光 |
[41:43] | The farm flourished under the eye of the Widow Richardson, | 这位理查德森的遗孀看着农场蒸蒸日上 |
[41:47] | as she was ever after known, when not “Mum”, | 后来她从「妈妈」升级到「奶奶」 |
[41:50] | or, in time, “Gran”. | 她才意识到 |
[41:53] | Oh, thank you, my dear. | 谢谢你 亲爱的 |
[41:57] | Of course, you must never fall asleep by a stream. | 当然 你们千万不要在小溪边睡着 |
[42:01] | No, for the alp-luachra might crawl into your mouth | 不要 因为懒馋精会爬进你嘴里 |
[42:06] | and make his home in your belly. | 之后在你的肚子里安家 |
[42:09] | For that joint-eater will take the good out of your supper | 这个贪吃鬼会把你吃的食物营养都偷走 |
[42:13] | so no matter how much you eat, | 所以不管你吃多少 |
[42:16] | after, you’ll never be full up, never. | 从那之后 你再也吃不饱了 永远 |
[42:20] | Never. Never. | 永远 永远 |
[42:23] | Never. | 永远 |
[42:26] | Mother, that’s enough. | 妈妈 别说了 |
[42:34] | There seemed no room for the spirits of old in Virginia, | 在弗吉尼亚那些老故事并没有人听 |
[42:38] | so Essie no longer told her tales. | 所以艾茜不再说起她的故事 |
[42:42] | She kept them in her heart, | 她把他们埋藏心底 |
[42:44] | where they warmed her like her father’s stew | 就像在班特里湾的寒夜里 |
[42:47] | on a chill night in Bantry Bay a lifetime ago. | 她父亲做的炖菜一般给她温暖 |
[43:17] | Essie MacGowan? | 艾茜·麦克格温 |
[45:22] | Tell him. | 告诉他 |
[45:24] | Tell him it’s done. | 告诉他搞定了 |
[45:57] | Créd as co tarlaid an cac-sa dam? | 你那些废话难道我相信得还不够吗[古爱尔兰语] |
[46:00] | Nach lór rofhulangas? | 我受的还不够吗 |
[46:03] | Is lór chena, níam olc! | 这样还不行吗 我不是恶魔 |
[46:08] | Níam! | 我不是 |
[46:15] | Fuck! | 该死 |
[46:44] | Oh, f… | 我… |
[46:48] | Fuck. | 我去 |
[46:52] | Don’t look. | 别看 |
[47:16] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[47:21] | Move it. | 快走 |
[48:03] | Essie MacGowan? | 艾茜·麦克格温 |
[48:05] | Do I know you? | 我认识你吗 |
[48:09] | You might say that you know me. | 你可能会说你知道我 |
[48:11] | Oh, you’re an Irishman. | 你是爱尔兰人 |
[48:14] | That I am. | 没错 |
[48:15] | A man of the mounds. | 确切来说 |
[48:18] | Or rather, that I was. | 我曾是众王之一 |
[48:21] | But now I’m here, in this new world, | 但我如今在此 这个新的世界 |
[48:25] | where nobody puts out ale or milk for an honest fellow. | 在一个丰收后没人会拿啤酒或牛奶 |
[48:29] | Or a loaf of bread come harvest time. | 或一块面包招待老实人的地方 |
[48:34] | If you are who I think you are, | 如果你是我想的那个人 |
[48:38] | I have no quarrel with you. | 我和你没有过节 |
[48:41] | Nor I with you. | 我也是 |
[48:43] | Although it was you that brought me here, | 尽管是你把我带到了这里 |
[48:46] | you and a few others like you. | 你和像你的一小撮人 |
[48:48] | Into this land with no time for magic, | 来到这片没有魔法的土地上 |
[48:51] | no place for faeries and such folk. | 没有精灵之类家伙的容身之处 |
[48:54] | I… you have done me many a good turn. | 我…你为我做了许多好事 |
[48:59] | Good and ill. | 不论善恶 |
[49:01] | We’re like the wind, we blows both ways. | 我们像风一样 吹向四面八方 |
[49:06] | Aye. | 没错 |
[49:23] | Will you take my hand, Essie MacGowan? | 你能抓着我手吗 艾茜·麦克格温 |
[49:40] | She was still warm when they found her, | 当他们发现她时 她身上还有余温 |
[49:43] | although the life had fled her body | 尽管她的灵魂早已脱离身体 |
[49:46] | and only half the apples were peeled. | 苹果皮才刚刚削了一半 |