时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:09] | You know sometimes I wish I’d never heard the name, James Whittaker Wright. | 你知道吗 有时我真希望 自己从没有听说过 james whittaker wright这个名字 |
[01:01] | There I am, just minding me own business, | 当时我正在街上和stace一起 |
[01:03] | running a little short con with Stace. All of a sudden he shows up. | 耍些小骗术 突然 他出现了 |
[01:11] | – The old ring scam, eh? – Not now, mate. I’m busy. | 还玩这种老式的戒指骗术啊 伙计 我现在很忙 |
[01:15] | Oh, come on, she’s still roping in the mark. | 不会吧 她还在让鱼儿上钩呢 |
[01:19] | You got time for a little action. | 你应该还挺有空的啊 |
[01:22] | Or are you too wet behind the ears to try your hand against a real crossroader? | 还是你自己没胆量 来跟我赌一把啊 |
[01:29] | Shoot. | 那就赌吧 |
[01:31] | I want to bet you I can bite my own eye. | 我跟你赌我可以咬到自己的眼睛 |
[01:38] | All right. I’ll have a little bit of that. | 好啊 我跟你赌 |
[01:42] | I’ll tell you why I’ll have a little bit of that, because it can’t be done. | 我就跟你赌 我告诉你为什么 因为…你做不到 |
[01:55] | I don’t believe it. | 我不相信 |
[02:05] | What the hell are you doing? | 你在干吗啊 |
[02:06] | The mark’s all ready to go, and you’re sitting here drinking coffee. | 鱼儿已经上钩了 你居然还在这儿坐着 喝咖啡 |
[02:09] | Just having a chat with me new best mate. | 和我新朋友聊天呢 |
[02:12] | What does the lady want to bet I can’t bite my own eye? | 这位女士想不想赌 我能咬到我自己的眼睛 |
[02:15] | Oh, don’t be ridiculous. You’ve obviously got a glass one. | 哦 你少来了 很显然你有一只玻璃假眼 |
[02:18] | This guy must think we’re complete idiots. | 这个人觉得我们完全是白痴 |
[02:21] | – Yeah, now. – James Whittaker Wright III. | 是啊 我是James whittaker wright三世 |
[02:28] | Adiós, muchachos. | 再见了 |
[02:30] | Adiós, freak. | 再见啊…怪胎 |
[02:59] | My friends call me JW3, and you know what? | 我的朋友叫我j.w. 3. 你知道吗 |
[03:02] | You are the absolute spit of my own boy. | 你长得真得很像我儿子 |
[03:05] | Oh, right, yeah, yeah. Listen. | 哦 好吧 好吧 |
[03:07] | If you put the bets on as well, we might be able to cut you in. | 你看 如果你有兴趣赌一把的话 我们或许能让你加入 |
[03:10] | Oh, sure. | 当然 你知道吗 |
[03:11] | I swear I haven’t seen my son for 30 years, but if he’s turned out anything like you, | 我已经三十年没见到我儿子了 但如果他真的能像你一样 哦 |
[03:16] | oh, I’d be the happiest man in town. Yes, sir. | 我会是这个城里最幸福的人的 |
[03:19] | – Yes, good, thank you, yeah. If you could… – Slim chance of that though. | 啊 好的 很好 谢谢 先生 你觉得… 当然 那也是不可能的 |
[03:23] | I was always out grifting or slam-dunked in the slammer. | 我不是在外面搞诈骗就是蹲监狱 |
[03:26] | – Poor little bastard never had a chance. – Oh, dear, if you could just… | 可怜的小家伙从没机会见我 |
[03:30] | But you know what really hurt? When his mom walked out, | 好吧 你能不能… |
[03:33] | I never even had a chance to say goodbye to the boy. | 但你知道什么事情最伤人吗 就是她妈妈带他离开时… 我连对他说句再见的机会都没有 |
[03:41] | If I could just… If I could just say goodbye to someone who looks a bit like my boy, | 如果我能…我能… 对一个长得有点像我儿子的人 |
[03:47] | – Maybe I could get, like, closure? – Fine, yeah, yeah. Whatever you say. | 说句再见 那我死也瞑目了 好吧好吧 |
[03:52] | Oh, hold up, you all right? | 呃 你还好吧 |
[03:54] | Just a touch of emphysema. | 只是肺气肿又发作了 |
[03:58] | I like to be called Pa. | 我喜欢听别人叫我爸 |
[04:00] | Goodbye, Son. And good luck. | 再见了 儿子 祝你好运 |
[04:06] | Goodbye, Dad. Pa. | 再见 爸爸 呃 爸 |
[04:14] | Excuse me. Where are you going? You haven’t paid for your dad’s chips yet. | 不好意思 你想去哪儿 你不打算为你爸付帐吗 |
[04:23] | Well, well, well. James Whittaker Wright III. | 哦 James whittaker wright三世 |
[04:28] | – Do you know this guy, Albie? – No, no, no, no, but I know the name. | 你认识这个人吗 albie? 不 但我听过这个名字 |
[04:32] | Yeah? How? | 是吗 |
[04:34] | James Whittaker Wright I | James whittaker wright一世 |
[04:37] | was either the greatest financier of the Victorian age | 维多利亚时期最伟大的金融骗子 |
[04:40] | or the biggest fraudster in history. | 就是历史上最负盛名的诈骗犯 |
[04:43] | – No one is quite sure. – What he was that good? | 尚无定论 怎么 他那么强 |
[04:46] | Legend has it that he pulled off | 传说中他完成了历史上 |
[04:48] | the most outrageous cackle-bladder there’s ever been. | 最大的一个骗局 |
[04:51] | Apparently, he faked his own death, | 他在光天化日 众目睽睽下 |
[04:55] | standing there just as you are now, in broad daylight, | 在一群法官 陪审员 警察面前 |
[04:58] | surrounded by judge and jury and the officers of the court. | 假死了 |
[05:06] | Whittaker Wright had been running a scam on the stock exchange, | Whittaker wright计划 |
[05:10] | but the banks double-crossed him. | 在证券交易上设个大骗局 但银行出卖了他 |
[05:12] | Accused of fraud and stripped of his assets, | 他被控告犯有诈骗罪并且财产被剥夺 |
[05:15] | Jam es Whittaker Wright was sentenced to 15 years hard labor at the Old Bailey. | james whittaker wright被判在监狱里 做十五年苦工 |
[05:27] | Always the consummate grifter, however, he had one more trick up his sleeve. | 这个诡计多端的骗子 在袖子里藏了毒药 |
[05:32] | As he was being sentenced, he apparently took poison, collapsing dead in court. | 在宣判时 他在法庭上服毒药 当场死亡 |
[05:50] | But grifting legend states that this was the ultimate cackle-bladder. | 但传说这只是他 精心策划的脱身之计而已 |
[05:55] | He had put himself into a state of suspended animation. | 他让自己进入一种假死状态 |
[05:58] | And when the court physician could find no pulse or breath, | 法医发现他没有呼吸也没有脉搏 |
[06:01] | he was pronounced dead. | 便宣布死亡了 |
[06:05] | Well, that’s great, but who’s the geezer with the moody eye? | 是不错 但那个玻璃眼老头儿 是谁啊 |
[06:09] | Yeah. Yeah, that’s what I’d like to know. | 是啊 我也想知道 |
[06:11] | Now I believe that someone is disrespecting me. | 我想有人在向我发出挑战了 |
[06:14] | That’s the problem when you have my reputation. | 当你有我这样的名声时 就会有这样的问题 |
[06:16] | You think JW3 is like some gunslinger? | 你觉得j.w. 3就像是一个决斗者 |
[06:19] | Come in to town to try his hand against the fastest con in the West? | 来到伦敦来和西方最有名的骗子 试试身手 |
[06:22] | No, no, no, no, no. He’s not after our money. | 不 不 不 他不是想要我的钱 |
[06:24] | No, no, no, he’s sending me a big message, | 不 不 不 他是在很高调的 |
[06:28] | lit up in six-foot neon lights. | 给我传达一个信息 |
[06:30] | Yeah, what’s it say? “Kiss my arse, suckers”? | 是啊 是“认输吧 白痴”吗 |
[06:34] | No, no, no, it says, “Go to Lea Park, Surrey.” | 不 不 不 是“请来lee公园 先生” |
[06:45] | Doesn’t look like much today. | 虽然现在看不出来了 |
[06:47] | But 100 years ago, it was the glory of the Victorian age. | 但早在维多利亚时代 这地方可金碧辉煌啊 |
[06:50] | Oh, blimey, I bet that didn’t come cheap. | 天哪 这些可不是便宜货 |
[06:52] | And the whole caboodle was built and paid for by James Whittaker Wright. | 这所有的东西都是 james whittaker wright出资建造的 |
[06:56] | – Who was a hustler? – Oh, no, no, let’s say a speculator. | 他只是个骗子而已啊 不 不 不 他是个投机家 |
[07:02] | He was a financial wizard who made a fortune selling big dreams. | 他是一个金融奇才 靠出售不可实现的梦想而发了大财 |
[07:11] | He began his career peddling phony gold mines to the hungry dreamers | 他靠卖假金矿起家 |
[07:15] | who flocked to the Old West in search of El Dora do. | 专门骗那些渴望来西部淘金 寻找金山的家伙们 |
[07:26] | Whittaker Wright had a prodigious talent | Whittaker wright在 向那些轻信梦想的人 |
[07:28] | for selling empty promises to those happy enough to believe them. | 出售白日梦方面 有独到的才华 |
[07:34] | You know what? I’m actually starting to like this guy. | 你知道吗 我确实有点喜欢上这个家伙了 |
[07:37] | Yeah. My great-grandpappy sure had style. | 是啊 |
[07:42] | I see you got my message. | 我爷爷确实是个强人 这么说你收到我的信息了 |
[07:44] | Well, any grifter would be intrigued | 所有骗子都想知道更多 |
[07:45] | to learn more about the legendary J. Whittaker Wright. | 关于这位传奇人物 j. Whittaker wright的事情 |
[07:48] | If you’re talking about cons in the American West, | 你刚说的是美国西部的骗术 |
[07:51] | my grandpappy pretty much wrote the book. | 我曾祖父可是最拿手的 |
[07:53] | So why did he come to the UK? | 那他为什么来伦敦 |
[07:55] | Yeah, sounds like he was doing pretty good over there. | 他似乎在那里做得有些太好了 |
[07:57] | Nickels and dimes. The big money was in the city. | 不过都是些小钱 |
[08:01] | My grandpappy reckoned that he could make a bundle | 和城市的大笔财富相比算不了什么 他认为如果能在伦敦证券市场 |
[08:03] | floating his dummy gold mine companies on the London Stock Exchange. | 发行他的w. Goldmine公司的股票 肯定能大赚一笔 |
[08:08] | Whittaker Wright took the banks for millions. | Whittaker wright骗了银行几百万 |
[08:11] | Until banks like Cornfoots conspired against him to bring about his downfall. | 直到像cornfoot这些银行开始暗算他 让他垮台 |
[08:15] | Sadly true. | 很不幸的结局 |
[08:16] | So, I’m gonna avenge my grandpappy and commemorate his greatest con. | 所以为了纪念他最伟大的骗局 我要为我爷爷报仇 |
[08:24] | – What do you say, huh, partner? – Partner? | 你觉得怎么样 我的搭档 搭档 |
[08:28] | No, I thought this was pistols at dawn and one breakfast. | 不不 我还以为你是要和我一较高下呢 |
[08:34] | I had to get your attention somehow. | 我还是引起你注意了嘛 我只和我的团伙一起工作 |
[08:37] | – Well, I only come as part of a team. – Oh, fine. | 哦 好吧 |
[08:40] | But if you’ve just trained up a bunch of short-order flops, | 但如果你只是训练出了一帮 |
[08:43] | we may have to find ourselves a real crew of hustlers. | 街头诈骗的小徒弟的话 我们玩得可是真正的大诈骗 |
[08:47] | How did you track us down? | 你怎么找到我们的 |
[08:49] | I heard Albert was in town, | 我听说albert在城里 |
[08:51] | so I just checked into the second most expensive casino in London | 所以我去了伦敦第二高级的赌场 |
[08:54] | and waited for you to mosey along. | 等你们上钩 |
[08:58] | Ah, right, so where’s the first most expensive casino, then? | 哦 好吧 那第一高级的赌场是哪儿 |
[09:03] | The London Stock Exchange, of course. | 当然是伦敦证券市场 |
[09:09] | Albert, I’m not sure about JW3. | 我不太信任j.w. 3. |
[09:11] | It’s one thing to turn over a crooked individual. | 当骗子是一回事 |
[09:13] | It’s quite another to shakedown a merchant bank. | 去骗一家商业银行却是另一回事 |
[09:16] | – So the money is scaring you? – Of course it does. | 你觉得钱烫手吗 当然烫手 |
[09:19] | We deal in thousands, Albert. They deal in millions. | 我们是骗小钱的 albert 她们骗得可是几百万 |
[09:23] | What is the art of the con, Mickey? I mean, to con an ordinary citizen? | 诈骗的艺术是什么 mickey? 是骗平民老百姓吗 |
[09:28] | Ah, no, that’s too easy. | 不是 那太简单了 |
[09:32] | The true art of the con is to con another con. | 诈骗的真正艺术是去骗另一个骗子 |
[09:37] | And some of the biggest tricksters on the planet are in those buildings. | 这个世界上最大的那些骗子 就在那几栋大厦里 |
[09:41] | They don’t care if they cheat some widow out of her pension, | 他们不在乎自己是否让 |
[09:46] | or a family man loses his savings. | 一些寡妇失去了退休金 让一些有家有室的男人倾家荡产 |
[09:48] | It’s all the same to them, you know, a six figure bonus, a company Merc… | 这对他们都是一样的 六位数的红利 公司合并 |
[09:56] | Don’t you think that they deserve a taste of their own medicine? | 你不觉得他们应该 自食其果吗 |
[10:00] | – But can we trust JW3? – Of course not. | 那我们能相信j.w. 3 当然不行 |
[10:05] | But we might learn something. | 但是我们也要知道 Michael |
[10:07] | Michael, no one has run a con like this in over 100 years. | 近百年来 没有人能玩这种骗术 |
[10:11] | And the only thing we don’t know is how and when he intends to double-cross us. | 而我们唯一不知道的就是 他什么时候会反过来骗我们 |
[10:15] | – But that’s part of the attraction, right? – For a real grifter, it’s the only attraction. | 这也是吸引你的地方之一对吗 对一个真正的骗子来说 这是唯一吸引点 |
[10:24] | Okay, the biggest store ever. We’re on. | 好 我们最大的一笔 现在开始 |
[10:28] | So how’s this thing going to work, then? | 这个游戏怎么玩啊 |
[10:30] | We’re going to launch the Chad Mining Company | 我们要建立一家靠发行股票 来筹资勘探油田的 |
[10:32] | which will issue shares to fund exploration for oil. | 乍得矿业公司 |
[10:35] | Our oil company will be just as phony as Whittaker Wright’s gold mines, | 这家公司和 whittaker wright 的金矿一样 都是假的 |
[10:39] | and just like him we’ll be floating our company on the stock exchange. | 和他一样 我们也要在证券市场发行股票 |
[10:42] | We can’t do that without a respected merchant bank. | 如果没有信誉良好的银行 的话我们办不成啊 |
[10:45] | So we’re going after Cornfoots, the bank that screwed my grandpappy. | 所以我们的目标就是 让我爷爷倾家荡产的cornfoot银行 |
[10:49] | Okay. So let’s take a look at our marks. | 好 来看看我们的目标人物 |
[10:51] | Quenton Cornfoot, Head of Corporate Finance. | Quenton cornfoot 银行的金融主管 |
[10:54] | He’s their roper. He romances the clients and brings in the business. | 他就是那个搭桥的人 他负责和客户拉关系 从而拉生意 |
[11:00] | I’ve taken the liberty of preparing | 我已经为我们的合作 |
[11:01] | a mock-up of the kind of thing we might be able to do for you. | 作好了一份企划 |
[11:06] | Mr. Lindeman. Please, it’s my treat. Can I tempt you to a brandy or a cigar? | 先生 这顿我来请 我能给你点杯白兰地或雪茄吗 |
[11:13] | And this is Charles Cornfoot, Head of Trading. | 这是charles cornfoot 贸易主管 |
[11:17] | He’s the shakedown artist. | 他在这些交易中唱白脸 |
[11:18] | Because once you sign up with a merchant bank, | 因为只要你和银行签约了 |
[11:20] | there is a fee for everything, | 你就什么都要交钱 |
[11:22] | and they will make their money whatever happens. | 而他们无论如何都会有进帐 |
[11:25] | All banks are greedy, | 所有银行都是贪心的 但charles |
[11:28] | but Charles Cornfoot has an insatiable appetite for other people’s money. | cornfoot对他人的 钱财简直就是贪得无厌 |
[11:35] | You know, share prices can go down a s well a s up. | 你知道 股价时涨时跌 |
[11:38] | Can I have a glass of your best brandy, please? | 我能来一杯你们这里最好的白兰地吗 |
[11:40] | Oh, and you’d better bring the cigar box back. | 最好还来盒雪茄 |
[11:43] | Whitaker Wright underestimated the bank’s greed. | Whittaker wright就是低估了 银行的贪欲 |
[11:46] | But we’re going to use that greed to turn the tables on them. | 但是我们就是要利用他们的贪欲 来反败为胜 |
[11:50] | Stacie, you will be our inside woman, | Stacie 你打入银行内部 |
[11:53] | working for the bank as an analyst and feeding information back to us. | 找一份分析员的工作 为我们通风报信 |
[11:56] | And, Ash, you will be our oil expert who sets the rumors running. | ash 你来当那个 散布谣言的专家 |
[12:02] | And Albert and JW3 will play the parts | albert和j.w. 3将扮演两个白痴投资家 |
[12:04] | of the foolish investors who drive up the share price. | 来哄抬价格 |
[12:07] | Finally, we need someone to front the company. | 最后我们需要一个和银行面对面的人 |
[12:12] | Ideally, we need a person who’s completely obnoxious. | 最理想的人选应该是 |
[12:16] | A brash, ignorant flash Harry… | 一个令人生厌的无知傲慢家伙 |
[12:18] | Yeah, a mouthy, full-of-himself, know-nothing barrow boy | 是啊 一个爱说大话目中无人的饭桶 |
[12:21] | who’ll instantly get right up the toffee noses of every banker in the city. | 一个能让这个城里任何一个银行家 都抓狂的家伙 |
[12:25] | Get in there! | 得分咯 |
[12:29] | Eh? | 嘿 |
[12:42] | Oi, easy tiger. | 嘿 小心点 伙计 |
[12:43] | – Does sir usually dress to the right? – No, mate. I always vote New Labour. | 你的裤线是不是靠右穿的 不 伙计 一直都在正中间 |
[12:49] | So swinging to the right it is, then, sir. | 那就改到右边就行了 先生 |
[13:09] | Morning. Gilbert Manning, Human Resources. | 早上好 我是人力资源部门 的gilbert manning |
[13:12] | We’re expecting that new graduate intake today. | 今天会有个新毕业的实习生 |
[13:15] | Oh, yes, I got the memo. You want them to go straight up, yeah? | 是啊 备忘录上有 我要让他们直接上楼吗 |
[13:18] | No, there’s been a cock-up in Office Services. | 不 现在办公室不是很方便 |
[13:20] | So now they’re redecorating, like, the entire floor. | 整层楼都在装修 |
[13:22] | We’re gonna have to take them to the Bank of England instead. | 所以我们要把他们带到英格兰银行 |
[13:25] | – It’s all right for some, isn’t it? – Yeah, isn’t it? | 装修一下也不错啊 是啊 不错 |
[13:27] | Look, I’ll be waiting over there. | 我会在那里等的 |
[13:29] | Just send them across to me when they arrive, all right? | 让他们去那里就行了 |
[13:30] | – Okay. – That’s a nice color on you. | 这颜色真适合你 哦 |
[13:35] | Check it out, kids. Look at that, beautiful. | 看看这个 伙计们 看看 真帅 |
[13:39] | Danny, Danny, you’re supposed to be the brash city type, | 哦 danny danny 你的角色是粗鲁无礼的阔少爷 |
[13:43] | but, you know, try not to overdo it, all right? | 所以你就别装斯文了好吗 |
[13:45] | I get it. So I gotta let them see me, you know, for who I am. | 所以我只要让他们 看到我的本色就行了 |
[13:50] | Yeah. So don’t draw attention to your performance. | 是啊 别太在乎你的表现 |
[13:54] | Relax, let them do some of the work. | 放松一点 |
[13:58] | Bit of pink. | 他们会做余下的工作的 粉红色 |
[14:17] | Hello, I’m part of Cornfoots’ new graduate intake. | 你好 我是cornfoot的实习生 |
[14:19] | Oh, yes, they’re just waiting for you over there. | 哦 |
[14:24] | Thank you. | 好的 他们在那里等你 |
[14:28] | So subtle performance, yeah? I can do subtle. | 表演细腻入微是吗 你看我能做到 |
[14:31] | Yeah, we know you can. | 是啊我们知道你可以 |
[14:32] | A little less Jordan, a little more classy like Charlotte Church. | 去粗取精 多了一些高贵 就像…charlett church (英国著名女高音)一样 |
[14:37] | You’re incorrigible, Danny. | 你真是无药可救 |
[14:42] | Hello, Gilbert Manning, Deputy Head of Personnel. And you are? | 你好 我是gilbert manning 人事部代表 |
[14:45] | Melissa DeMonfort. | 你是 |
[14:49] | Welcome on board, Melissa. Please. | 欢迎加入我们公司 melissa 请坐 |
[14:52] | – This is Ffion, a fellow fresher. – Hello. | 这位是fione 你新来的同事 你好 |
[14:56] | – Did you get your signing-on bonus? – Oh, yes. Thanks. | 你拿到奖金了吗 是啊 谢谢 |
[14:59] | I couldn’t believe the size of it. | 这公司福利真好 |
[15:01] | All right, as I was explaining to Ffion here, there’s been a slight hitch. | 好吧 我刚刚还在跟fione解释 有一些小小的变动 |
[15:05] | – You don’t want it back, do you? – No, no, no, no, no. | 你不是要扣我的奖金吧 不不不 |
[15:08] | Some idiot has decided to refurbish your offices. | 一些白痴决定要重新 装修你的办公室 |
[15:11] | So I’m going to have to ask one of you to come back in a month’s time. | 所以你们中有一个 要一个月后才能上班了 |
[15:15] | – You mean, take paid leave? – Yes. | 你的意思是带薪休假 是的 |
[15:19] | – I don’t mind. I really, really don’t. – Okay. | 我不介意 绝对没问题 好吧 |
[15:23] | Hang on. | 等等 |
[15:24] | I have to start work and she gets a month’s holiday? | 我要开始工作而她就可以 先得到一个月的假期 |
[15:27] | Well, I was here first. | 我先来的啊 |
[15:28] | Oh, don’t be ridiculous. What’s that got to do with it? | 你别开玩笑了 这有什么关系 |
[15:31] | All right, ladies, ladies. Let’s toss a coin, shall we? | 好吧好吧 女士们 我们掷硬币决定吧 |
[15:36] | – Melissa, you call. – Heads. | Melissa 你先选 头 |
[15:55] | Heads it is. | 还真是头 |
[15:57] | So, Melissa, you get the chance to spend your signing-on bonus. | melissa 你现在有机会度假 花花你刚拿的奖金了 |
[16:01] | We’ll see you in a month’s time with a suntan. | 一个月后见 肯定那时你就 晒成健康的小麦色了 |
[16:03] | Thanks. I’ll send you a postcard. | 谢谢…我会给你寄明信片的 |
[16:13] | You have a double first in Maths and a PhD in Astrophysics. | 你数学比赛曾两次获得冠军 是一名天体物理学博士 |
[16:17] | A PhD in Astrophysics? So you’re good with figures? | 天体物理学博士 你对数字很拿手了 |
[16:21] | Who isn’t with a calculator? | 我简直就是个计算器 |
[16:23] | So what’s the square root of 74,088? | 好 那74,088的平方根是什么 |
[16:27] | 272.1911 and the cube is 42. | 呃 是272.1911,立方的话是42 |
[16:37] | So where do you want me to start? On the trading floor or in the back office? | 你们想让我从哪儿开始 交易所还是办公室 |
[16:40] | – You can start by making us a cup of tea. – And don’t forget the biccies. | 你先给我们倒杯茶 别忘了还要饼干 |
[16:58] | That’s very cheap. | 真便宜 是啊 先生 |
[16:59] | Yes, it’s a special introductory offer, sir, yeah. | 是啊 先生 这是我们开业优惠价 |
[17:01] | Everything steam cleaned, and we even scrape your bottom. | 您的船会都会用蒸汽洗净 我们还会用手擦 |
[17:05] | Don’t you need a dry dock for that? | 你们没有干船坞吗 |
[17:07] | Yeah, we’ve got one in our yard. It’s just over the water there. | 我们有 在院子里 那边的水旁 |
[17:11] | – All right, have her back by tomorrow. – Right. | 好吧 我明天来取 好的 |
[17:22] | Okay, let’s up and at ’em. | 好吧 我们怎么做 |
[17:25] | Now, you can’t go to them. They’re a merchant bank. | 你不能去找他们 他们可是商业银行 |
[17:27] | They’re not interested in clients who are interested in them. | 他们对自找上门 的客户不感兴趣 |
[17:30] | – Important customers have to be seduced. – Right. | 重要的客户应该是被钓上钩的 对 |
[17:33] | – Well, they don’t know me from Adam. – I fear not. | 但是他们看不出我很特别啊 肯定不能 |
[17:36] | Which is why you might need this to make a bit of a splash. | 所以你需要这个 |
[17:49] | Remember our friend Whittaker Wright? | 记得我们的朋友whittaker wright吗 |
[17:52] | He knew that to float on the stock exchange, | 他知道 发行股票的关键 |
[17:54] | it’s not what you’ve got that counts. It’s what people think you’ve got. | 并不是你真的有多少家底 而是别人认为你有多少家底 |
[18:09] | Greed is the only vital ingredient in a mark. | 鱼儿最关键的特征是贪婪 |
[18:12] | And nothing glitters quite like gold. | 而没有什么比金子更吸引他们的了 |
[18:34] | It helps if they think you’re an idiot. | 如果能让他们觉得你 是个白痴会大有帮助 |
[18:47] | Do you do valet parking for your VIP clients? | 你们为贵宾提供停车服务吗 当然 先生 但… |
[18:50] | – Naturally, sir, but… – Hang on to that, son. | 伙计 拿好这个 |
[18:52] | I’m parked outside on the yellow line. | 停到外面那条黄线外 |
[19:09] | Where’s the Director of Corporate Finance, sweetheart? | 亲爱的 银行金融主管在哪儿 |
[19:11] | Down there on the right, but excuse me, have you an appointment? | 一直走向右拐 不好意思 你有没有预约… |
[19:19] | What the… | 你从哪儿冒出来的 啊 别装了 开始谈生意吧 |
[19:20] | All right! Stop fannying about. Let’s get down to work. | 啊 别装了 |
[19:23] | Where’s this prospectus I been promised? | 开始谈生意吧 你们答应给我的企划案呢 |
[19:24] | – Who the hell are you? – Chad Mining Company. | 你他妈是谁啊 乍得矿业公司 从来没听说过 |
[19:28] | – Never heard of them. – Well, there’s nothing in the diary. | 日程表上也没有 |
[19:31] | I’m sorry, I’m going to have to ask you to leave. | 不好意思 请你出去 |
[19:33] | Oi, mush. | 亲爱的 |
[19:34] | I come a long way for this meeting, sunshine, so let’s be having you. | 我可是大老远跑过来的 开会吧 |
[19:38] | – You’d better call Security. – Listen, arsewipe. | 最好叫保安来 听着 你这白痴 |
[19:42] | If this is the way that Chartered & Mutual treat their special customers, | 如果这就是charter mutual银行 招待他们特殊客户的方式 |
[19:46] | then I’m going to have to find another bloody bank, ain’t I, | 那恐怕我要为我的公司上市 |
[19:48] | to float my company on the Stock Market? | 找另一家银行了 |
[19:50] | – We’re not Chartered & Mutual. – We’re Cornfoots. | 这里不是charter mutual银行 是cornfoot’s银行 |
[19:54] | Well, where the hell’s Chartered & Mutual, then? | 哦 那charter mutual在哪儿 |
[19:56] | It’s the next building along. | 在那边那栋大厦 |
[20:01] | Are you telling me that I’ve walked into the wrong bloody merchant bank? | 你是说我 走错银行了 |
[20:06] | It would seem so. | 似乎是的 |
[20:11] | What am I like, eh? | 那好吧 |
[20:14] | I feel like such a berk. | 我真是个笨蛋 |
[20:15] | Don’t give it a second thought. Could’ve happened to anyone. | 确实是 别人可干不出这事儿 |
[20:18] | So you say Chartered & Mutual | 那你是说charter mutual银行 |
[20:19] | are going to float your company on the stock market? | 要让你的公司上市 |
[20:21] | Yeah. Giving it the full works, they tell me. | 是啊 他们说会做得很好的 |
[20:23] | Did you talk to any other merchant banks | 你在决定和他们合作之前 |
[20:25] | before putting your business with Chartered? | 你和别的商业银行谈了吗 |
[20:27] | No. There’s no point, is there? | 没有没有 我的意思是 |
[20:29] | I mean, if Sienna Miller wants to get into bed with you, | 就好像如果shannon miller要和你上床 |
[20:32] | you don’t go down to the local boozer to see what else is on offer, do you? | 你绝对不会还去酒店看看 还有没有别的妞儿 对吗 |
[20:34] | Well, Madonna drinks in my local, as does Claudia Schiffer and Kate Moss. | 但是酒店里也可能有madonna啊 claudia |
[20:38] | Not to mention Kelly Brook. | schiffer啊kate moss啊 |
[20:40] | So it may be worth shopping around after all. | 甚至kelly brooke 所以说到处看看还是值得的 |
[20:44] | No, no, I’m not interested, not interested at all. | 不 不 没兴趣 一点兴趣都没有 好了 |
[20:48] | Right, Chartered & Mutual, next building along, right? | Charter mutual银行就在那栋大厦是吗 |
[20:52] | It’s a nice boat. | 这船真不错 |
[20:54] | I really think you should hear what Cornfoots have to offer. | 我觉得我们可以一起吃顿饭 |
[20:57] | What about over lunch? | 您可以听听我们的企划 |
[20:58] | Some other time maybe. | 下次再说吧 |
[21:00] | Chartered & Mutual, they’re up there waiting for me. | Charter mutual银行在等我呢 |
[21:01] | Let ’em wait. | 让他们等吧 一家好的商业银行 |
[21:03] | A good merchant bank should always be willing to wait on a valued client. | 是不介意等有价值的客户的 |
[21:05] | I know we are. | 起码我们是这样 |
[21:50] | Nice to have you on board. | 合作愉快 |
[21:53] | Speaking of which, all right to leave me boat here while I check into the hotel? | 说到这儿 我想把船停这儿 |
[21:58] | – I’ll tell the porter. – Good, good. | 我要去酒店登记入住 我会告诉门房的 很好 |
[22:00] | And while you’re at it, get him to give it a bit of a swab up with a cloth, all right? | 停船的时候 |
[22:04] | He’ll get straight on to it. | 能不能把船擦干净 一定遵命 |
[22:05] | And then get him to take it to its moorings in the Surrey Quays. | 然后把船停到 surrey keys停船处 |
[22:10] | Of course. | 当然没问题 |
[22:12] | See? They hate me already. | 看到了吗 他们已经开始恨我了 |
[22:17] | She’s nice. I hope she’s working on my launch. | 她挺不错的 我希望她来为发行我的股票工作 |
[22:21] | Oh, she’s just one of the new graduate intakes… | 哦 先生 她只是刚毕业的实习生 |
[22:23] | Good. Make it happen. | 我就要她了 |
[22:25] | So what do you think, sweetheart? | 你觉得如何啊 亲爱的 |
[22:27] | Do you think I’m going to make money, | 你是觉得我会赚钱呢 |
[22:29] | or do you think I’m going to make lots of money? | 还是会赚大钱呢 |
[22:32] | Well, looking at these proposals, there are a number of aspects that worry me. | 我看了下这些提案 有不少地方令人担忧啊 |
[22:37] | Details, I’m sure. | 肯定只是些细枝末节 |
[22:39] | But nobody’s ever found oil in northern Chad | 但是没人在乍得北部勘探到石油 |
[22:41] | or even suggested it’s a remote possibility. | 据说可能性很小 有问题吗 |
[22:46] | – Is that a problem? – That’s for the market to decide. | 这是要让市场去决定的 |
[22:49] | That’s what I thought. | 我以前也是这么想的 |
[22:51] | ‘Cause you know what the collective noun for bankers is, don’t you? | 但如果大家都和你想的一样的话 那就都破产了 |
[22:54] | It’s a wunch. As in, a wunch of bankers. | 银行家就是要冒险 冒险 |
[23:02] | You stupid little girl! Who the hell do you think you are? | 你这个蠢货 你以为你是谁啊 |
[23:06] | Don’t you ever open your mouth in front of a client like that again. | 以后再也不许在客户面前说这种话了 |
[23:10] | You understand me? | 明白吗 |
[23:11] | Don’t you care what we’re offering the public? | 你不在乎我们对公众发行的是什么吗 |
[23:13] | Of course not. | 当然不 |
[23:15] | We just stack the shelves, we don’t set the prices. | 我们只是负责发行而已 又不定价 |
[23:19] | So there isn’t any kind of company you wouldn’t float on the market? | 有没有什么公司的股票 你们不会发行的 |
[23:21] | No, that’s not true. | 当然有 上星期我们就拒绝了 |
[23:22] | Only last week we turned down a guy who wanted to launch | 上星期我们就拒绝了 |
[23:25] | a company selling toilet/bidets. | 一家销售什么厕所和坐便器的公司 |
[23:27] | – Even we thought that was a stinker. – Literally. | 反正我们觉得很烂的 也确实如此 |
[23:30] | If there’s one thing I really enjoy, it is poaching clients from someone else. | 我最喜欢做的一件事情就是 挖走别的银行的客户 |
[23:36] | So what I want you to do is draw up a prospectus that makes this crock | 所以你要给我写份详细的企划 让这家破烂公司看起来像 |
[23:40] | look like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. | 宝藏一样 |
[23:42] | And see if you can rustle up an oil consultant who’s prepared to be flexible. | 看看你能不能搞到一个石油专家 一个比较会胡吹乱扯的人 |
[23:46] | About his fee? | 对收费胡吹乱扯 |
[23:48] | No, about the chances of finding oil in northern Chad. | 不是 是对再在乍得找到石油的可能性 |
[23:55] | – Ash? – Yeah, I’m up here. | 我在 |
[24:00] | Stacie seems to be making good progress. How’s your oil consultancy? | Stacie似乎进展不错 石油顾问工作做得如何 |
[24:04] | Good, just getting me presentation together for Cornfoots. | 不错 我在为cornfoot |
[24:08] | What is the worst case scenario for the oil industry at the moment? | 准备一份演示报告 现阶段 对石油业来说 |
[24:15] | $100 a barrel by 2007, all known reserves exhausted 20 years later. | 最糟的情形是什么 2007年油价上涨到100美元一桶 九大石油储地20年后枯竭 |
[24:21] | Well, I think | 我觉得如果你想说服那些银行家 |
[24:24] | you’ll need to do much worse than that if you’re going to convince these bankers. | 你还得把情况描述得更恶劣一些 |
[24:29] | These figures make pretty grim reading, Mr. Brahe. | Bauer先生 这些数字能很好地说明问题 |
[24:32] | Yeah, yes, it’s very bad. | 是啊是啊 情况紧急啊 |
[24:34] | $150 a barrel in two years’ time and all known reserves exhausted by 2020. | 两年后油价会涨至150美元一桶 2020年所有石油储地都将枯竭 |
[24:40] | No wonder the oil companies want to keep this to themselves. | 难怪那些石油公司 从不公布这些信息 |
[24:42] | But anyone in the know stands to make a killing. | 不过知道的人可就发财了 |
[24:46] | So what do you hear about northern Chad? | 你听说过乍得北部吗 |
[24:48] | Nothing at the moment. It is in the middle of a war zone. | 还没有 这个地方…常年战争不断 |
[24:51] | But it could be possible, I suppose. | 但是还是有可能发现石油的 我认为 |
[24:54] | – You want me to look into it, yeah? – Oh, yeah. We’ll put you on a retainer. | 你想让我查查 哦是的,我们会给你弄个加固装置的 |
[25:06] | Whittaker Wright knew that the key to the stock exchange was propaganda, | Whittaker wright知道 |
[25:11] | so he’d let loose rumors | 进入证券市场的关键 就是宣传 所以他故意放出消息 |
[25:13] | that flew around the city. | 弄得妇孺皆知 |
[25:19] | Each rumor built the value of his stock until his worthless holdings | 这些谣言让他的股票不断升值 |
[25:24] | had become the most precious commodity on the market. | 他一文不值的公司成了 成了市场上最炙手可热的股票 |
[25:30] | So, apparently, there’s oil in Chad? | 很显然 |
[25:33] | Yes, there are rumors all over the Internet. | 乍得有石油 互联网上很多这样的说法 |
[25:45] | Your oil consultant’s really doing a business. | 你的石油专家还真会做事 |
[25:51] | – Stacie’s doing a good job, isn’t she? – Yeah, yeah. | Stacie干得不错是吧 是啊 她只要向他们 |
[25:53] | Apparently, she just has to express an opinion to provoke a reaction. | 提出反驳就行了 |
[25:57] | Well, she is a very provocative young woman. | 是啊 她这个很在行 |
[26:01] | So are you and JW3 ready to play the part of the foolish investors? | 你和j.w. 3准备扮演 白痴投资家的角色 |
[26:06] | – Are there any other kind? – No. | 还有谁能比我俩更合适吗 不过 |
[26:08] | But watch your back with JW3. Remember, he’s a grifter, too. | 你小心点j.w. 3. 要记住他也是个骗子 |
[26:16] | Are you okay? Do you think I should call a doctor or… | 你还好吧 我应该叫医生吗 |
[26:19] | No, no, no, I prefer to treat myself. | 不不不 我比较喜欢自己治疗 |
[26:23] | Hopefully to at least a couple of million dollars! | 我们还有几百万在等着我们拿呢 |
[26:26] | Yeah. | |
[26:38] | Cornfoots? | |
[26:41] | Sign here, love. | |
[26:46] | Lovely. Ta. | |
[26:55] | Well, that isn’t good enough. We couriered you our offer last week. | 这就不对了 上星期 我们要快递 把我们的报价送来了 |
[26:58] | Well, I’m sorry. But Cornfoots have no record of it. | 不好意思 但是 cornfoot没有这方面的纪录 |
[27:00] | Criminy, what kind of half-assed operation are you running here? | 妈的 你这是 什么半吊子公司啊 |
[27:04] | Could this be it? But it’s only just arrived. | 现在送到可以吗 |
[27:14] | One million dollars. | 一百万 不好意思 |
[27:18] | Well, I’m afraid, gentlemen, you are too late. | 先生们 太迟了 |
[27:21] | The Zinc Holdings subscription closed three days ago. | 锌的股票 三天前已经认购完了 |
[27:26] | You moron! | 你这个白痴 |
[27:27] | I told you we should have delivered it here, personally. | 我说过我们应该来亲自认购的 |
[27:30] | – What are you? The mail boy now? – Listen, dunderhead. | 你现在想起当邮差了 |
[27:33] | You don’t give a guy in a motorcycle helmet a million bucks | 你绝不能把一百万轻易的交给 一个戴钢盔的快递员 |
[27:36] | – Unless he’s got a shotgun in his hand. – I wish I had a shotgun in my hand. | 除非他是五星级快递员 我真想一头撞死算了 |
[27:41] | What kind of investment opportunities are you looking for? | 你们在找怎样的 投资机会 |
[27:44] | We like commodities. | 我们喜欢日用品 |
[27:46] | – Coffee, cotton, pork bellies… – Oil? | 咖啡 棉花 猪肚子之类的 石油呢 |
[27:48] | Oil, sure. | 当然可以 |
[27:50] | But the commodity we like best is risk. | 我们最喜欢的是冒险 |
[27:55] | – How much risk? – As much as we can get. | 你们肯冒多少险 |
[27:58] | Then, gentlemen, I think I may be able to help you. | 越多越好 先生们 |
[28:04] | Hang on. | 或许我可以帮你们 等等 |
[28:06] | So the shares can’t be traded until after the flotation, right? | 在上市前 是不能进行股份交易的啊 |
[28:11] | Yeah, investors can only subscribe to the shares now. | 嗯 投资者现在只能认购 |
[28:14] | They don’t actually get their certificates until | 在我们发行之前 |
[28:16] | after we’re officially quoted on the stock market. | 他们拿不到股权证 |
[28:18] | All right, and we’re selling them at a quid a go? | 那就是说…卖出后 我们就走人 |
[28:21] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[28:23] | So what’s this price here? And how come we ain’t getting it? | 那这些定价是什么 我们怎么没有 |
[28:27] | Oh, that’s a futures market. | 哦 这只是预测市场 |
[28:29] | That trades in the future price of our shares. | 我们股票的预期价格 |
[28:32] | Oh, I get it. | 我明白了 |
[28:34] | So the action ain’t on the shares for sale, but on the ones we’re holding back? | 所以说最赚钱的不是那些要出售的股票 而是我们手上这些 |
[28:38] | j. Whittaker That’s certainly the way J. Whittaker Wright saw it. | |
[28:41] | Whittaker Wright always held on | wright当时就是这么想的 Whittaker wright一直都持有他的公司 |
[28:43] | to at least half of the shares in his companies, | 至少一半的股份 |
[28:45] | only cashing them in when his rumors had run their course | 只是在他散布的谣言盛行的上市那天 |
[28:49] | and the floatation day arrived. | 才把手里的股票兑现 |
[28:51] | By this stage, his stock was worth a fortune! | 但这个时候 他的股票已经很值钱了 |
[29:00] | Whittaker Wright’s success was soon to prove his downfall. | Whittaker wright的成功 也正是他的失败之处 |
[29:03] | The banks didn’t like to see anyone make more money than them. | 银行不能忍受有人比他们赚的钱还多 |
[29:07] | And it wasn’t long before they came after him. | 所以不久 他们就盯上他了 |
[29:20] | Ahoy! | 喂 嘿 |
[29:25] | All right, playmates, who’s coming out for a bit of a beano, then? | 伙计你好 我们开个派队庆祝一下吧 |
[29:28] | What? | 什么 |
[29:30] | A beano, a brew, a little bevvy. Come on, get rid of all this stuff. | 派队 皇家的那种… 来吧 别看这些了 |
[29:34] | What are you celebrating? | 你要庆祝什么啊 |
[29:36] | The latest city wonderkid’s first spectacular deal. | 庆祝我们 伟大的交易啊 |
[29:40] | – My treat. Bolly and Krug, all the way. – We’re working, I’m afraid. | 我请客啊 我们要工作 哦… |
[29:47] | Hang on a minute. Who’s the bleeding client here? | 等等 这里谁是客户啊 |
[29:51] | – You are. – That’s right. | 你啊 是啊 |
[29:55] | You are, me am, if I jolly well want to jolly go on a jolly up | 我啊 所以说如果我想高兴一下 |
[29:58] | then you, you and missy had jolly well better jolly along, too. | 你 你还有你 小姐 最好都跟着我高兴 |
[30:07] | Naturally, we would be delighted to celebrate your good fortune. | 当然 我们很高兴 庆祝你发财 |
[30:11] | And there’s an old Cornfoots Bank tradition that any evening out | cornfoot银行有个传统 |
[30:15] | always begins with a round or two of Liar’s Poker. | 派队一开始都是玩 骗子扑克游戏的 |
[30:20] | – Are you familiar with the game? – No. | 你会玩吗 不会 |
[30:22] | You guess the serial numbers on £50 notes. | 你猜猜五十镑的序列号是多少 |
[30:26] | Listen, don’t worry about the £50 quid notes, ’cause I got a pocket full of ’em. | 不用猜了 我一口袋的钱 |
[30:30] | Gentlemen never play for cash amongst themselves. | 绅士是不会玩钱的 |
[30:32] | No, what do they play for then? Buttons? | 那我们玩什么 纽扣吗 |
[30:35] | Forfeits, of course. Just as we did at olly, olly big school. | 有点小惩罚 就像我们在大学里做的一样 |
[30:42] | Five sixes. | 五个六 |
[30:45] | Six sevens. | 六个七 |
[30:47] | – Six nines. – Nine sixes. | 六个九 九个六 |
[30:51] | Bollocks, Charles. | 你吹牛 charles. |
[30:53] | – You don’t think I could make nine sixes? – I don’t. | 你觉得我不可能有九个六吗 我不相信 |
[30:57] | Challenge, none. | 我赌你 一个都没有 |
[31:01] | I’ve got three sixes. | 我有三个六 |
[31:05] | – Three of the same. – And I’ve got three sixes. | 我也是三个 我也有三个 |
[31:10] | Which, I believe, makes nine in total. | 这样我们就一共有九个了 哎哟 |
[31:17] | Seven. | 七 哎哟 |
[31:20] | Eight. | 八 哎哟 |
[31:24] | Nine! | 九 |
[31:31] | Oi! Did you have to hit me that bleeding hard? | 你为什么要那么用力的打 |
[31:33] | I wouldn’t have hit you that hard if you’d lost. | 如果是你输了我就不会下手这么狠 |
[31:35] | Yeah, but playing for the bank, I was never going to, was I? | 是啊 我当初怎么就不进另一家银行呢 |
[31:39] | God, it’s not a bad business, is it? | 这根本就不是生意是吗 |
[31:40] | Any nutter walks in here with any idea, and you make money whatever happens. | 无论哪个白痴弄个生意计划来这里 都能赚到钱 |
[31:44] | Yeah, just about. | 是啊 差不多 |
[31:45] | Although some ideas are even too crazy for crooks like them. | 虽然有些计划连他们这些混蛋 听起来都觉得很无聊 |
[31:48] | Come off it, they’re sewer rats. | 住嘴吧 他们什么玩意儿没听过 |
[31:50] | Yeah, but even so, this guy came in here last week | 是啊 但尽管如此 上个星期有个人来想让一家 |
[31:53] | trying to launch a company selling toilet/bidets. | 销售厕所和坐便器的公司上市 |
[31:57] | – What, it’s a toilet and a bidet? – Yeah. | 什么 厕所和坐便器 是啊 |
[32:03] | Charles turned him down. Said it reminded him of you, actually. | charles拒绝了他 事实上 他说这让他想起了你 |
[32:07] | Oh, yeah? | 哦 |
[32:08] | Yeah, apparently, when it’s not squirting pointlessly, it’s just full of shit. | 是啊 很显然 并不是 所有公司他们都合作的 还是有选择的 |
[32:15] | Oi, Kojak, give me two more bottles of jubbly, all right? | 嘿 Kojak 再来几瓶吧 |
[32:20] | And stick it on the Cornfoots tab, all right? | 把帐记到cornfoot头上 |
[32:23] | All right, lads? | 好了 伙计们 |
[32:25] | What a charmless oik. | 他这种人 拽什么拽 |
[32:27] | It sticks in my throat to see some Johnny-come-lately | 不就是弄个公司来忽悠别人 |
[32:29] | wander in and take the piss out of my investors. | 最后骗投资人的钱 |
[32:32] | Exactly. That’s our job, isn’t it? | 听起来好像和我们做的一样 是吧 |
[32:34] | He’s quite ghastly. | 他真是个可怕的人 |
[32:36] | And he’s going to be even more ghastly once his company’s floated. | 等到他的公司上市的时候 他就更不得了了 |
[32:40] | But there’s nothing we can do about it, is there? | 但我们也奈何不了他啊 |
[32:43] | Says who? | 谁说的 |
[32:44] | Come on, look at the price of his shares. He stands to make a fortune. | 你看他的股票价格 这家伙肯定能大赚一笔 |
[32:47] | Not if we short the hell out of him. | 要是我们把他手里的股票都弄到手呢 |
[32:50] | Bingo. | 上钩了 |
[32:52] | But you can’t do that. You’d be selling shares you don’t own. | 但是你不能那样做 你这是发售不属于你的股份 |
[32:55] | – That’s illegal. – Who cares? | 这是非法的 谁在乎啊 |
[32:58] | We sell hard enough, the price will collapse | 如果我们销售的够猛的话 价格就会崩溃 |
[33:00] | and we’ll buy them all back the next day for peanuts. | 第二天我们就可以 不花一分钱买到所有的 |
[33:03] | So no one will know we didn’t have them in the first place. | 这样神不知鬼不觉 谁也不知道 我们一开始的时候并没有拥有股份 |
[33:05] | All we need is for someone to start a new rumor. | 我们现在就是需要一个散播谣言的人 |
[33:09] | Sounds like a job for our oil consultant. | 看来又该我们的石油专家出场了 |
[33:11] | He’ll need to move fast if we’re gonna trash Chad Mining before quotation day. | 他可要动作快点了 我们在发行日之前就要 让乍得矿业一文不值 |
[33:22] | You know these rumors you’ve been spreading? | 关于你散播的那些谣言 |
[33:25] | Well, if there’s any oil in northern Chad, I’m a Dutchman. | 如果乍得北部真找得到石油的话 我就是个荷兰人 |
[33:30] | – No, I’m the Dutchman. – Ah, yeah. | 我就是荷兰人 呃 …好吧 |
[33:33] | Anyway, it’s time to put a stop to them. | 不管怎样 现在要停止这个谣言了 |
[33:37] | Why would you want to do that? | 为什么 |
[33:41] | It’s always a turn-on to see a pole dancer standing on her head, isn’t it? | 一个钢管舞女郎倒立着跳舞 还真是性感 不是吗 |
[33:46] | Makes everything sort of hang out a bit more, doesn’t it? | 一切都倒过来了 不是吗 |
[33:50] | Yes, for sure. | 是的 当然 |
[33:52] | It’s a bit like your rumors. | 就像你的谣言一样 |
[33:55] | Why don’t you see if you can’t stand them on their heads, too? | 那你能不能 把这些消息倒过来说呢 |
[33:58] | You are coming to me with a big ask, a very big ask. | 这还真是个麻烦事儿 很麻烦 |
[34:03] | Yes, but a pole dancer normally gets triple her fee for it. | 是啊 但是钢管舞女郎 |
[34:06] | So why shouldn’t you? | 一般倒过来跳的话 能得到三倍的报酬 你也可以啊 |
[34:12] | The banks began to plot his downfall. | 银行计划让他走下坡 |
[34:16] | He had taught them the power of rumors, and now they decided to launch their own. | 他已经让银行领教了谣言的力量 |
[34:22] | With the market already worried about the value of the stock, | 现在他们要以其人之道还治其人之身 |
[34:25] | the bank began to sell. | 市场开始担心股票的价格了 这是银行开始出售股票 |
[34:29] | Nothing drives the value of a company down more effectively | 没有什么比银行出售股票 |
[34:32] | than a bank selling its shares hard and fast. | 更为有效的使股票价格 狂跌不止了 |
[34:39] | And that’s just what Cornfoots did. | 这就是cornfoot的举动 |
[34:43] | They sold and sold and sold some more. | 他们一直卖一直卖 卖得越来越多 |
[34:49] | Sell, sell, sell. And sell some more. | 一直卖一直卖 越多越好 |
[34:53] | So the more the price drops, the more money we make. | 价格跌得越多 我们赚得越多 |
[34:55] | And how do we get the price to drop? | 但是我们怎么让价格跌下来呢 |
[34:59] | We sell, of course, and keep selling. | 我们一直卖 |
[35:01] | But won’t we eventually run out of buyers? | 那样会不会最终没有买家了 价格跌到零以前不会的 |
[35:04] | Not until it hits zero. | 同时 |
[35:05] | And in the meantime, I’ve got a couple of scrawny-necked American turkeys | 我手头还有两个美国老头 他们什么都愿意买 |
[35:08] | who are gonna peck at anything. | 所以你做事儿用点脑子 |
[35:09] | So make sure you keep your wits about you. | 所以你做事儿用点脑子 当然 |
[35:11] | Or better still, about me. | 也陪陪我 嘿呀 |
[35:32] | Now that’s the sort of dream the city should be offering the public. | 这就是这个城市应该 提供给公众的一个梦想 哦 这些骗人的混蛋 |
[35:40] | Bastards, you know all our anticipated profits are going up in smoke. | 我们所有预期的利润全都化为乌有了 就是因为我们自己的混蛋银行 |
[35:45] | Because we’re being sold short by our own bastard bank. | 把我们卖空了 |
[35:48] | Yeah, well, that’s the stock market for you, innit? | 是啊 这就是证券市场 |
[35:50] | They did the same thing to JW3’s grandfather. | 他们对j.w. 3的爷爷也是使得这招 |
[35:53] | – So what are we going to do, then? – Keep on buying, of course. | 我们下一步怎么做 当然是一直买啊 让我把这事儿弄清楚一下 |
[35:57] | Just let me get this straight, all right? | 我们用比我们卖出更高的价格 |
[35:59] | We’re buying our own company for more than we’re selling it, all right. | 我们用比我们卖出更高的价格 来回收我们的公司 是吗 |
[36:01] | And what’s more, we’re buying it several times over. | 然后我们一次又一次的买进 都是用赊账的方式 |
[36:04] | All on tick, all with money that we don’t even have. | 用我们并不拥有的钱来买进 是啊 |
[36:07] | Yep. | 这真是疯狂 |
[36:09] | Well, this is nuts. | |
[36:11] | We’ve seen the rumors, but we have an inside track of our own. | 我们看到他们散布的谣言了 但我们也有自己的优势 |
[36:14] | We still want to buy long, if that’s the technical term. | 用专业术语来说的话 我们想炒长线 |
[36:18] | Well, I’m sure your bravery will be rewarded. | 我相信你的勇气会得到回报的 |
[36:20] | – We just need to set a floor and a limit. – Oh, no floor. | 我们只要定一个底线就行了 |
[36:22] | We’ll chase the market all the way down. | 不用底线 我们会一直跟进的 |
[36:24] | And no limit. We’ll take all the action we can get. | 也不用限期 我们随时会采取行动的 |
[36:32] | With his stock worthless, the bank began to asset strip Whittaker Wright, | 由于股票都一文不值了 银行开始 收购whittaker wright 拿走了他辛苦赚来的一切 |
[36:37] | taking everything he had grifted so hard to own and lining their own pockets. | 从中赚大钱 |
[36:49] | They even had the shirt off his back. | 他们连他穿的衣服都拿走了 |
[36:57] | Okay, we’ll stop there. | 好吧 我们就此停手吧 |
[37:02] | I didn’t really think you could sell it right down to zero. | 我确实不能相信 |
[37:05] | Who can’t? | 你能把价格拖到零 你说谁不能啊 |
[37:07] | Time for one last spin of the wheel, guys. Keep selling! | 最后时刻快到了 伙计们 |
[37:21] | – Keep going. – Come on. | 继续卖 再来再来 我们成功了 |
[37:34] | You’ve done it! You’ve actually bloody done it. | 我们终于成功了 |
[37:37] | You’ve driven the price down to zero. | 我们把价格拖到零了 |
[37:47] | Here’s to Chad Mining, the most worthless company in the whole wide world. | 这就是乍得矿业公司 世界上最不值钱的公司 |
[37:51] | Come on, cheer up. | 别这样 开心点 因为我们不止拥有整个乍得矿业公司 |
[37:52] | Because not only do we own the whole of Chad Mining company, | 因为我们不止拥有整个乍得矿业公司 |
[37:54] | but we own it several times over. | 而且我们多次买进了 我们收购了所有股票 |
[37:56] | – We bought all the shares? – That’s right. | 是啊 明早九点 |
[37:59] | And at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, we’re pledged to buy them all over again. | 我们会在买一遍 |
[38:02] | A hundred times over, and maybe for 1,000 times more than their worth. | 再来一百遍 甚至一千遍 比它们本身价值更高的价格 |
[38:06] | – But that… I mean that’s mad. – Yes, it is. | 但是那…那也太疯狂了 |
[38:09] | But there is method in our madness. | 是啊 但是我们疯狂举动是有理由的 |
[38:16] | One hour of trading left. | 交易时间只剩一小时了 |
[38:19] | All right, guys. Party’s over, start buying. | 好了 伙计们 结束了 不用买了 |
[38:25] | This is almost as stacked as you are. | 这结果和你一样迷人 |
[38:28] | We’re pledged to sell millions of shares tomorrow | 我们明天要出售一百万股票 |
[38:31] | at prices ranging from £10 each to 10 pence. | 价格从十镑 |
[38:34] | That’s right. And now we’re going to cover that position | 到十便士 是啊 |
[38:37] | by buying them all back at a penny a go. | 然后我们要用1便士的价格 |
[38:39] | Now that’s what you call a profit. | 买进所有 这就是真正赚钱的地方 |
[38:42] | Hang on. Nobody is selling at a penny a share. | 等等 没人愿意以1便士的价格卖出 |
[38:44] | Well, go long at 2p a share | 那就2便士 |
[38:49] | or 3p. We can afford it. | |
[38:52] | Still no takers, and I’ve gone to 5p a share. | 我已经把价格提到5便士了 还是没人卖 |
[38:55] | What’s going on? That crap’s worthless. | 怎么回事 |
[38:59] | Any holder should be happy to give them away. | 这垃圾公司一文不值啊 持股人都应该很乐意卖出啊 |
[39:02] | Still drawing a blank. | 还是没人卖 |
[39:05] | Yeah, okay, that’s great. | 好的 太好了 |
[39:07] | Well, that’s it. When the market opens tomorrow, | 就这样 明天开市的时候 乍得矿业公司 |
[39:10] | Chad Mining will be officially quoted on the stock exchange. | 将正式在上市 |
[39:14] | Maybe we should convene a shareholders meeting. | 或许我们应该开个股东大会 |
[39:17] | Okay, so, gentlemen, does anyone feel like selling a single share | 好吧 先生们 这里有谁明天想 向cornfoot出售 |
[39:22] | of the Chad Mining Company to Cornfoots tomorrow? | 乍得矿业公司的股份吗 |
[39:25] | – Not me. – Nor I. | 我不想 我也不 |
[39:27] | And what about you? It’s your company. You still own half the shares. | 那你呢 这是你的公司 你还持有一半股份 |
[39:31] | So if we don’t sell them our shares, they can’t sell them back to us. | 如果我们不卖给他们 他们也不能卖给我们 |
[39:38] | Isn’t that a breach of contract? | 这样他们就违反合同了 |
[39:40] | Yes, a very serious one, with very serious penalties. | 是啊 惩罚可是很重的哦 |
[39:44] | If the bank can’t sell the shares they’re pledged to sell, they’re stuffed. | 如果银行不能出售 他们承诺出售的股票 那他们就完了 |
[39:47] | And they’d have to pay out for every single day they can’t sell those shares. | 每卖不出一天 他们就要出一天的钱 这太聪明了 |
[39:53] | Well, that’s brilliant. So it’s like compound interest. | 这就像是复利 |
[39:56] | In fact, it’s better than compound interest. | 事实上 比复利更高的代价 |
[39:58] | It’s like… Christ, it’s like having your own bleeding bank. | 就像…就像你把银行 给吞了 |
[40:01] | The shares can’t just vanish. They must be out there somewhere. | 这些股票不可能自己消失的 |
[40:05] | Keep trading in the Far East and in New York. | 一定是在谁手里 |
[40:09] | Someone must sell eventually. | 看看远东和纽约 最终会有人卖的 |
[40:11] | They’d better, or tomorrow we’re all completely and royally buggered. | 一定要有啊 不然明天 我们就完了 |
[40:15] | Forget about the market. | 别指望市场了 |
[40:17] | Our charmless oik of a client is still holding 50%, isn’t he? | 我们可爱的美国老头不还 持有50%的股份吗 |
[40:23] | So we can buy what we need from him. | 我们可以从他那里买 |
[40:34] | All right, kid. Here’s a simple propositional bet. | 好吧 伙计 我们来赌一把 |
[40:38] | I’ll give you 10-to-one you turn over a picture card before I do. | 我赌你能在我之前摸到J Q或者K 我输了就给你十倍的钱 |
[40:42] | I’ll even let you shuffle first. | 我可以让你洗牌 |
[40:45] | Ten-to-one. | 你输了就给十倍 |
[40:47] | I’ll shuffle. | 我来洗牌 |
[41:04] | Nine of diamonds. | 方块九 |
[41:06] | – Four of spades. – I saw you peeking. Less of that, please. | 梅花四 |
[41:11] | Nine of club. | 我看见你偷看了 |
[41:13] | Hey, the last one over it. | 嘿 你应该翻开这张 |
[41:22] | – Just lost the bet, haven’t I? – Big time. | 我是不是输了 休息时间到了 |
[41:30] | Hello, Charlie. | 你好 charlie. |
[41:34] | Listen, gents, I mean, I’d love to help you out. | 先生们,我很想帮你们 |
[41:38] | Really I would. | 真的 |
[41:40] | But unfortunately, none of my shares are for sale. | 但是不幸的是 我的股份是不卖的 |
[41:45] | You can name your own price. Anything. | 你可以开个价 随便开 |
[41:50] | I know. | 我知道 |
[41:55] | So who’s “Mr. Squirting Full of Shit Toilet/Bidet” now, then? | 现在你们知道那个卖厕所和 坐便器那个家伙的滋味了吧 |
[42:05] | I’ll see you tomorrow, all right, | 好吧 明天见了 |
[42:08] | when Chad Mining officially opens on the stock market. | 等到乍得矿业公司正式开盘的时候见 |
[42:15] | See ya. | 再见 |
[42:21] | Well, all the talk here on the trading floor is about the Chad Mining flotation. | 今天在交易所所有的讨论焦点都集中在 乍得矿业公司的开盘 在期货市场价格起起伏伏之后 |
[42:25] | After a roller-coaster week on the futures market, | 现在大家都在猜 |
[42:26] | it’s anyone’s guess what the opening price may be. | 现在大家都在猜 开盘价是多少 |
[42:34] | Well, £15. | 是15.5镑 太棒了 |
[42:37] | – So why’s the price still rising? – Come on, Eddie, keep up. | 为什么价格还在涨 eddie 用用脑子吧 |
[42:41] | Cornfoots are driving the price up themselves. | 是cornfoot自己把价格抬高的 |
[42:43] | Yeah, and watch how high it goes when they really start to panic. | 看看价格升到多少时 他们会开始慌张 |
[42:46] | It don’t matter, all right, what they offer for our shares, | 这没关系 |
[42:49] | we ain’t selling. | 总之无论他们出多少钱 我们就是不卖 |
[42:52] | This is going to be some blow off. | 这将成为最后之战 |
[43:01] | The cackle-bladder is the ultimate blow off. | 诈死是最后的一计 |
[43:05] | There’s nothing quite as effective as faking your own death. | 没有什么比这个 更能有效的脱身了 |
[43:10] | And if you want to make it really convincing, | 如果你想做得很像的话 |
[43:13] | you are going to need a phony physician. | 你就应该弄一个假医生 |
[43:21] | Dr. John Grant. | 我是John gnt医生 |
[43:23] | Good morning, I’m doing the rounds, giving the department its annual check-up. | 早上好 我要给你们部门职员 做一个年度体检 |
[43:27] | – What? You can’t possibly do that now. – It is in our diary. | 什么…你现在不行 这是我们日程表上安排的 |
[43:31] | And without it, I’m afraid I cannot authorize | 如果不做的话 |
[43:33] | your annual increase in pension provisions. | 你们退休金每年的增长将得不到批准 |
[43:36] | Under the circumstances, it may be the last one we ever get. So… | 出了这种事儿 我们以后可能只能靠退休金活了 |
[43:39] | Oh, all right, but you’ll need to do it very quickly. | 好吧 不过你动作要快 |
[43:41] | Of course. | 当然 |
[43:45] | And just breathe normally, please. | 请正常呼吸 |
[43:50] | The Chad Mining people have arrived. | 乍得矿业的人来了 |
[43:52] | We’ll have to continue this later. | 我们待会儿继续 |
[43:56] | – Fine, I’ll come back tomorrow. – No, you won’t. You’ll wait there. | 好 我明天再来 不 你在那儿等着 |
[44:11] | There are your settlements. | 这是你们的结算 |
[44:20] | A million sterling. Thank you. | 哦 一百万镑 谢谢 |
[44:24] | We’ll be back tomorrow for the same amount. | 如果股价不涨的话 |
[44:26] | Oh, unless the share price rises again. | 我明天还来拿一百万 |
[44:31] | Of course you do know our other partner, don’t you? | 我想你一定认识我的另一名搭档 |
[44:34] | Hello, Charlie. Remember me? | 你好 charlie. 记得我吗 |
[44:41] | You’re all in this together. | 你们是一伙的 |
[44:44] | I’ll go to the police, the financial regulator. | 我会打电话给警察的 金融诈骗部门 |
[44:48] | And say what? That this bank’s more crooked than we are? | 你怎么说啊 说这家银行比我们还混蛋吗 |
[44:52] | Insider dealing, driving the market, | 内部交易 操纵市场 |
[44:56] | selling your own clients short. | 把自己的客户卖空 |
[44:58] | It sounds like a fast route to prison to me. | 似乎比我们的罪更重啊 |
[45:01] | A hundred years ago, this bank destroyed my grandpappy. | 100年前 这家银行使我爷爷倾家荡产 |
[45:06] | And now, gentlemen, it’s payback time. | 现在 先生们 报应到了 |
[45:10] | Well, well, well. They say revenge is a dish best served cold. | 哦 都说复仇是一道冷菜 |
[45:15] | This sounds positively icy. | 看来还真是冷得刺骨 |
[45:18] | You’re James Whittaker Wright’s grandson? | 你是james whittaker wright的孙子 |
[45:21] | Yep. And with these options to buy, | 是的 有了这些买卖的特权 |
[45:23] | I can make your bank pay and keep on paying as long as I like. | 我可以让你的银行 一直一直赔下去 |
[45:28] | Hang on there, hang on. There is such a thing as too much greed. | 等等 贪婪也是有个度的 |
[45:34] | Perhaps we could offer you guys a deal. | 或许我们能做个交易 |
[45:38] | – Anything. – That goes for me, too. | 随便你要什么 只要我们能做到的 |
[45:40] | You did say anything. | 你说的哦 |
[45:48] | Why aren’t you thrashing her, too? | 你们为什么不抽她 |
[45:51] | – Be much more fun. – Because I’m a gentleman. | 那肯定更好玩啊 因为我是个绅士 |
[45:54] | And just for that, we ain’t gonna sell you the shares. | 就因为这个 我们还是不打算把股票卖给你 |
[46:01] | You filthy crook! I should beat the living… | 你这个无耻的混蛋 我真想揍死… |
[46:17] | Hey, hey, come on, hey. | 嘿 别这样 嘿 |
[46:23] | – He’s not breathing. – What? | 他没有呼吸了 什么 |
[46:25] | – I can’t feel a pulse. – Call the doctor! | 也没有脉搏 快叫医生 |
[46:28] | – Dial 999? – No, you stupid… | 打给999 不 |
[46:30] | The moron waiting in my office. | 别蠢了 叫坐在我办公室里那个白痴过来 |
[46:41] | I’m afraid this gentleman is dead. | 恐怕这位先生已经死了 |
[46:46] | I’d better call the coroner’s office. | 我要通知验尸官 |
[46:54] | You assaulted him. | 你攻击了他 |
[46:56] | – It was an accident. I… – Tell that to the police. | 这只是个意外 你跟警察解释啊 |
[47:01] | At the very least, I’d say you’re looking at manslaughter. | 至少 你将面临 |
[47:04] | – Manslaughter? – Yeah, that’s 10 years minimum. | 杀人罪 杀人罪 是啊 至少判十年 |
[47:08] | I can’t go to prison! I didn’t mean… | 我不能坐牢 |
[47:14] | I’m a banker, not a murderer. | 我不是故意的…我是个银行家 不是个杀人犯 |
[47:20] | You got to help me. | 你要帮我 |
[47:24] | Well, I suppose we could make this go away. | 好吧 假设我们能把这件事儿私了了 |
[47:27] | You could? How? | 你同意 是吗 |
[47:29] | Of course we’d need the checks for another day’s settlement. | 当然我们要另外一天的 结算金 |
[47:35] | Make sure you make them out for cash. | 我们要现金 |
[47:40] | My colleague was an old man who had a heart condition. | 我的同事已经很老了 还心脏不好 |
[47:44] | Yes, it’s terrible, really. I mean… | 是啊 太可怕了 |
[47:47] | The old guy just… He just collapsed on his seat. | 这个老人只是…自己倒下了 从他自己座位上 |
[47:51] | Well, what about the doctor? | 嗯 那那个医生怎么办 |
[47:53] | We’ll talk to him and tell him what happened. | 我们会跟他说的 |
[47:57] | As for you, I’d like you to go home | 至于你 你就乖乖回家 |
[48:00] | and come back tomorrow as if nothing had happened. | 明天再来 像什么也没发生过一样 |
[48:04] | Except, we’ve just lost two million plus of the bank’s money. | 只是输了两百万英镑 还是银行的钱 |
[48:09] | Well, share prices can go up, as well as down. | 股票也有涨有跌嘛 |
[48:12] | Charles, we should go. | Charles 我们应该走了 |
[48:33] | All right, you can get up now. | 好吧 你可以起来了 |
[48:37] | Come on, stop messing around. | 少来了 别逗了 |
[48:42] | Hey. I can smell almonds. | 嘿 我问到了杏的味道 |
[48:47] | – What’s that? – Cyanide! | 那是什么 氰化钾 |
[48:50] | – What’s going on here? – His heart’s stopped. | 怎么了 他心跳停止了 |
[48:53] | No, he’s having a laugh. | 他…不会的 他在偷笑呢 |
[48:57] | Come on, J., we ain’t got all day. | 别装了 j. 我们可没时间跟你玩 |
[49:00] | No, he’s still not breathing! | 他还是没有呼吸 |
[49:21] | “Dear Albert, you had better sit down.” | 亲爱的albert 你最好坐下 |
[49:39] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[49:42] | I really took cyanide. | 我确实吞服了氰化钾 |
[49:45] | And the name’s not Whittaker Wright, | 我的名字也不是whittaker wright. |
[49:49] | it’s Bill Clegg. | 而是bill clegg. |
[49:53] | I spent my life working for the Chorley Asbestos company | 我一生都在一家耐火石棉厂工作 |
[49:58] | until this rotten bank took us over. | 直到这家银行把我们公司弄垮 |
[50:01] | They stripped out the assets, | 他们那走了所有的资产 |
[50:03] | trashed the pension fund, bankrupted the place. | 甚至连我们的退休金都拿走了 |
[50:07] | And the fact that half the workers turned out to have asbestosis, | 事实上厂里一半工人 |
[50:11] | didn’t bother them, neither. | 都患上了石棉沉滞症 银行一点良心都没有 |
[50:14] | So when I was diagnosed as terminal, | 所以当我被诊断患上绝症时 |
[50:17] | I decided to become JW3 and take my revenge. | 我决定变为j.w. 3来复仇 |
[50:23] | I sent all the details to the regulator this morning, | 我今早以把所有事情都跟司法部门说了 |
[50:27] | so the settlements are worthless. | 所以结算金现在一文不值了 |
[50:31] | But there’s still enough to send Charles to the pen for a long time | 但还是有足够证据让charles |
[50:38] | and put his bank out of business. | 他们蹲很长时间大狱 银行也将停业 |
[50:43] | Apparently, Clegg really enjoyed working with us, | 很显然 clegg说他很高兴和我们共事 |
[50:46] | and he’s sorry he can’t reimburse us for our time and expenses. | 她还很抱歉不能偿还我们付出的 时间和金钱 |
[50:52] | But he now suggests we exit via the back entrance | 他现在建议我们从后门逃走 |
[50:56] | because the Fraud Squad are coming in the front any minute. | 因为反诈骗组几分钟后 将从前门闯入 |
[51:03] | You bastard. | 你这混蛋 |
[51:05] | Oh, don’t greave for me too much. I only had a few weeks left in me anyway. | 哦 别太怀念我了 我生命本来也只剩几个星期了 |
[51:10] | So instead of pretending to take cyanide, I took it. | 所以 与其诈死不如真的吞服氰化钾 |
[51:17] | So it’s not a cackle-bladder, it’s a double-bluff cackle-bladder. | 所以这不是诈死 而是诈诈死 |
[51:40] | Right, come on, everyone. | 快点儿 大家快 |
[51:42] | We wipe this place clean and get out of here. | 我们把这个地方擦干净就赶紧走 |
[51:46] | Come on, let’s go, let’s go! | 快 快走 |
[52:09] | Come on, you’re late. We need to get out of here. | 快 不然就迟了 我们要赶紧逃 |
[52:12] | – Where’s JW3? – Back there. Dead. | j.w. 3在哪儿 死在那里了 |
[52:15] | – What? – And he’s not JW3. | 什么 而且他也不是j.w. 3… |
[52:17] | – And he’s not even American. – Come on. | 他连美国人都不是 哦 |
[52:22] | You know, this thing is going to be all over the papers by tomorrow. | 这件事必然会 闹得满城风雨 |
[52:25] | We’re going to have to split up for a few weeks, make with some alibis. | 我们要分开几个星期 为自己制造不在场证据 |
[52:27] | Albert, check into a hospital. Danny, Stacie, if you… | Albert 你快去一家医院登记入住 |
[52:30] | Oh, no, wait a second, wait a second. | Danny,stacie 你俩…等等 等等 |
[52:35] | He said “penitentiary.” | 他说 “蹲大狱” |
[52:38] | In the letter to Albert, he said, | 在给albert的信里他说 |
[52:39] | “There’s enough evidence to send Charles to the pen for a long time.” | “但还是有足够证据让charles 他们蹲很长时间大狱” |
[52:44] | No real Northerner would ever use that word. | 一个北方人是不会用这个词的 |
[52:46] | No, they’d say “behind bars” or “in prison” or something, but… | 他们会说”蹲大牢” “进监狱” 之类的 |
[52:50] | – Who would use the word “pen”? – Only an American. | 那么什么人会说”蹲大狱”呢 只有美国人 |
[52:54] | An honest to God, salute the star-spangled banner, | 天哪 |
[52:58] | genuine Yankee Doodle dandy, son of Uncle Sam. | 他是货真价实 如假包换的美国佬啊 |
[53:04] | We have been privileged to meet one of the greatest artists | 我们今天算是有幸认识了 |
[53:06] | of our chosen profession. | 我们骗子行业里教父级的人物了 |
[53:08] | Look, would somebody please tell me what’s going on, then? | 你们谁能跟我解释一下 这是怎么回事吗 |
[53:11] | Not a cackle-bladder. | 不是诈死 |
[53:14] | Not a double-bluff cackle-bladder. | 也不是诈诈死 |
[53:18] | But a double, double-bluff cackle-bladder. | 而是诈诈诈死 |
[53:33] | All the settlement checks are gone, as well. | 结算金支票也没了 |
[53:36] | So much for being worthless. | 现在还真一文不值了 |
[53:38] | Okay, okay, let’s think, let’s think. | 好的好的 让我们想想 好好想想 |
[53:41] | Albert, you’ve just come round from suspended animation, | Albert 你刚从假死状态中 复活过来 |
[53:44] | you’ve got two million plus of money orders in your back pocket, | 你身上有两百多万 你刚刚骗了 |
[53:46] | you’ve just successfully blown off your fellow team of boosters, | 你团伙里的人 |
[53:49] | what do you do next? | 你下一步做什么 |
[53:51] | You’re headed for the airport and get the first plane out of here. | 你应该马上去机场 坐飞机离开这儿 |
[53:56] | Well, of course you can upgrade to first class, Mr. Wright, | Wright先生 你当然能升级到头等舱 |
[53:59] | but you will need to run to catch your flight. It’s already boarding. | 但你要跑着去赶航班了. 已经准备起飞了 |
[54:03] | Oh, I’m a little old for that these days. | 我太老了 跑不动了 |
[54:06] | Can I ride on the caboose instead? | 我可以坐行李车去吗 |
[54:11] | What do you want to bet I can’t bite my own eye? | 我跟你赌我能咬到自己的眼睛 |
[54:38] | A month or more solid work and all we’ve got to show for it is egg on our faces. | 我们一个月来的努力 全都付诸东流了 |
[54:43] | Well, that seems a small price to pay to witness a beautiful thing. | 我想这是见证最高明骗术 所要付出的小小代价 |
[54:47] | And I was wrong. | 我错了 |
[54:49] | The true art of the con is not to con a fellow con… | 骗术的最高境界不是骗同行 |
[54:52] | But to con a fellow con who is expecting to be conned. | 而是骗一个知道自己会被骗 的同行 |
[54:55] | As you say, I tip my hat to the old snake. | 所以我像那个老狐狸脱帽致敬 |
[54:59] | We all received a valuable lesson that money can’t buy. | 我们也学到了金钱所不能买到的一课 |
[55:03] | Even at my age, you’re never too old to learn. | 活到老 学到老 |
[55:06] | Yeah, very philosophical, but philosophy won’t pay the rent. | 是啊 很有哲理 哲理可不能付租金 |
[55:10] | No, but I will. | 不 还是可以的 怎么付 |
[55:13] | How? | 记得那个卖厕所和坐便器的公司吗 |
[55:14] | Remember that toilet/bidet idea? | 记得那个卖厕所和坐便器的公司吗 嗯 |
[55:19] | Well, I liked the sound of it, | 我喜欢它的名字 |
[55:20] | so I bought a couple of grands worth of shares in the company before it floated. | 在他上市以前 买了一千英镑的股票 |
[55:24] | Great. So now we’re looking at an even bigger loss. | 好吧 那我们会输得更惨 |
[55:27] | No, not at all. | 不会哦 |
[55:28] | Apparently the Japanese can’t get enough of it. | 事实上 在日本供不应求呢 |
[55:32] | It’s supposed to be the biggest thing in Tokyo since they invented the futon. | 将成为东京自蒲团以来 最炙手可热的东西 |
[55:35] | – What, so the share price just goes up? – Oh, yeah, I’ve got 25 grand already. | 怎么 股价上涨了 |
[55:41] | Then you really are Mr. Toilet/Bidet. | 是啊 已经差不多5000英镑了 |
[55:45] | Well, I’m not one to boast, but… | 那你还真是厕所先生 我可不吹牛 |
[55:59] | There are a lot of different stories | 关于james whittaker wright |
[56:01] | about what happened to James Whittaker Wright | 在城里的冒险故事结局 |
[56:04] | after his adventures in the city. | 有很多种传说 |
[56:16] | I don’t really know what the truth is, | 不知哪种是真 |
[56:19] | but I like to think that somewhere along the way, | 但我相信他一定在某处 |
[56:22] | he found his own little piece of grifting heaven. | 找到了骗子天堂 过上了平静的生活 |