时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:12] | 伦敦 2005年4月 | |
[01:46] | Mourners are arriving, sir. | 吊唁者来了 先生 |
[01:48] | Fine. Let’s begin. | 好 我们开始吧 |
[02:01] | I want you… | 我想让你 |
[02:05] | ..to kill me. | 杀了我 |
[02:13] | Hello, Directory Enquiries? | 你好 这里是电话号码查询台 |
[02:14] | Yes, I’d like a number for an organization, please. | 我想查询一个机构的号码 谢谢 |
[02:17] | It’s called the… the Voluntary Euthanasia Society. | 叫做自愿安乐死协会 |
[02:21] | I’m sorry, you’ll have to speak up. | 抱歉 请大声点 |
[02:24] | The Voluntary Euthanasia Society. | 自愿安乐死协会 |
[02:28] | I’m sorry, Mr. Melrose, we can’t help. | 抱歉 梅尔罗斯先生 我们帮不了你 |
[02:30] | We’re a campaign group. It’s about changing the law. | 我们是一个运动组织 目的是改变法律 |
[02:32] | Really? But I mean Voluntary Euthanasia, | 是吗 但自愿安乐死 |
[02:35] | it sounds so…hopeful. | 听上去 充满希望 |
[02:37] | Directory Enquiries, how can I help you? | 电话号码查询台 有什么需要帮助的吗 |
[02:38] | Er…yes, I’d like an international number, please, Switzerland. | 我想查询一个国际号码 瑞士 |
[02:42] | Dignitas. | “尊严” |
[02:44] | And what kind of organization are they? | 他们是什么类型的机构 |
[02:48] | – What…what does it do? – Well, they… | -是做什么的 -他们… |
[02:51] | I’ll spell it for you. | 我拼给你听 |
[02:53] | Suicide stems from a disease: | 自杀是疾病所致 |
[02:55] | a disease we now call depression. | 一种我们现在称作抑郁的疾病 |
[02:57] | And that’s what we should be treating. | 这才是我们该治疗的 |
[02:58] | She can’t move or speak or control herself. | 她动不了 不能说话也控制不了自己 |
[03:01] | Depression isn’t a disease, it’s an entirely reasonable response. | 抑郁不是病 而是种完全合理的反应 |
[03:05] | Quite frankly, it’s cheerfulness that would take some explaining. | 坦白说 快乐才需要解释 |
[03:09] | When people are depressed we give them anti-depressants. | 人抑郁时 我们给他们抗抑郁药 |
[03:12] | She’s on them! | 她在吃 |
[03:13] | They gave a certain enthusiasm for her loathing of life. | 抗抑郁药让她对生命产生了厌恶 |
[03:16] | That’s when she asked me to kill her. | 就在那时她让我杀了她 |
[03:18] | Do you know? It can be a great privilege to work with the dying. | 你知道与将死之人共事是种荣幸吗 |
[03:21] | I don’t think she’s gonna start working with the dying, do you? | 我想她不会开始与将死之人共事 你说呢 |
[03:24] | And if you mean it’s your great privilege, | 如果你是指你的荣幸 |
[03:26] | it’s her quality of life I’m concerned with. | 我担心的是她的生活品质 |
[03:36] | I…I want… | 我 我想要 |
[03:38] | Swiss-land. | “瑞仕” |
[03:41] | That’s what we’re looking into. | 我们正在努力 |
[03:46] | Doctor Fenelon is here. | 费内伦医生来了 |
[03:49] | Do you remember, our family doctor? | 你还记得吗 我们的家庭医生 |
[03:51] | Hello, Eleanor. | 你好 埃莉诺 |
[03:53] | So, I’m going to take a look at you and ask a few questions. | 我会给你做检查 问你几个问题 |
[04:01] | Please…don’t tell him… | 请 别告诉他… |
[04:06] | ..That my mother was… | 我妈妈是 |
[04:10] | ..A duchess. | 公爵夫人 |
[04:13] | I won’t breathe a word. | 我什么都不会说的 |
[04:16] | “I can hardly move. I am bedridden and incontinent | “我几乎无法移动 我卧病在床 失禁 |
[04:20] | and feel uninterrupted anguish at my own uselessness. | 时刻对自己的没用感到极度痛苦 |
[04:24] | There is no prospect of improvement | 没有好转的希望 |
[04:26] | and I can already feel my faculties betraying me. | 我已经能感觉到我的机能不听使唤 |
[04:29] | I do not look on death with fear, but with longing. | 我不害怕死亡 我渴望死亡 |
[04:33] | Please help me to escape the daily torture of my existence. | 请帮助我从我每天的折磨中解脱 |
[04:38] | Yours sincerely.” | 谨上” |
[04:43] | Do you think that’s fair? | 你觉得这合理吗 |
[04:49] | Is that a fair description? | 写得合理吗 |
[04:53] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:56] | Do you want to sign it? | 你想签字吗 |
[05:04] | Sign. | 签字 |
[05:16] | Thank you so much for doing all of this. | 谢谢你做的这一切 |
[05:18] | It’s really not your responsibility anymore. | 其实已经不是你的责任了 |
[05:22] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[05:27] | – So… – An orphan at last! | -那么… -终于成孤儿了 |
[05:30] | It’s what I always dreamed of. | 我一直以来的梦想 |
[05:33] | After all this time, I feel complete. | 过了这么多年 我感觉自己圆满了 |
[05:37] | I hope that’s not your speech. | 我希望这不是你的追悼词 |
[05:38] | Ah, well, my speech… | 我的追悼词… |
[05:40] | Because it is printed in the order of service. | 因为仪式安排里有写 |
[05:42] | I know. | 我知道 |
[05:45] | – I can’t do that for you. – I wouldn’t ask you to. | -这我帮不了你 -我也不会要你这么做 |
[05:48] | So you’ve written one? | 那你写了吗 |
[05:50] | I thought it’d probably be better to improvise, | 我觉得即兴演讲更好 |
[05:52] | speak from the heart. | 发自内心地讲话 |
[05:54] | – Is that a good idea? – With my heart? | -那是个好主意吗 -发自我的内心 |
[05:56] | There’ll probably be a stampede for the exit. | 可能会吓跑一群人 |
[05:59] | Surprised to see me? | 看到我意外吗 |
[06:00] | I’ve become rather a memorial creeper. | 我已经成了追悼会常客 |
[06:03] | One’s bound to at my age. | 我这个年龄的人必然会这样 |
[06:05] | It’s no use sitting at home, | 坐在家里 |
[06:07] | guffawing over the mistakes of ignorant obituarists. | 大笑讣告作者犯的错没什么意义 |
[06:10] | Thank you. No, one has to celebrate the life! | 谢谢 不 必须赞美生命 |
[06:13] | “There goes the school tart. | “校园淫妇走了 |
[06:15] | They say he had a good war, but I know better!” | 他们说他打了一场漂亮的仗 但我心知肚明” |
[06:19] | Of course I’m not saying it’s not all very moving. | 当然我不是说这不感人 |
[06:24] | Thinly attended. | 出席者寥寥 |
[06:26] | Are those your mother’s religious friends? | 那些是你妈妈的教友吗 |
[06:29] | What color would you call that? Aubergine? | 那是什么颜色 茄紫色吗 |
[06:31] | Forgive me, Nicholas, I really must talk to– | 抱歉 尼古拉斯 我得和… |
[06:32] | Try not to be bitter about the money. | 尽量别抱怨钱的问题 |
[06:35] | One or two of my friends | 我的一两个朋友 |
[06:36] | who’ve made a mess of that side of things | 他们就是这方面没处理好 |
[06:38] | have ended up dying in National Health wards, | 最后沦落到国民医疗病房里死去 |
[06:41] | and I must say I’ve been very impressed | 而且我必须要说 我很赞赏 |
[06:43] | by the humanity of the mainly foreign staff. | 那些主要由外籍人员搞的人道活动 |
[06:46] | Mind you, what else is there to do with money, | 提醒你 钱还有什么用 |
[06:48] | but spend it when you have it and be bitter when you don’t? | 只能有就任性花 没有就抱怨 |
[06:51] | I suppose what I’m saying is – do be bitter about the money. | 我想我的意思是 确实要抱怨钱的问题 |
[06:56] | After all, what is it now, | 毕竟 都多少了 |
[06:58] | six generations with every single descendant essentially idle? | 六代人了 每个后代都极其平庸 |
[07:02] | It must be rather thrilling for you and your children, | 你和你的孩子们一定高兴坏了 |
[07:04] | after such a long exemption from competition, | 这么长时间都不用参与竞争 |
[07:07] | – to get really stuck in! – Goodbye, Nicholas. | -终于开始上进 -再见 尼古拉斯 |
[07:10] | And you mustn’t feel guilty about feeling pleased. | 你千万别对心生欢喜感到愧疚 |
[07:16] | If ever there was a merciful release, | 如果真有仁慈的解脱 |
[07:18] | it was in the case of your poor mother. | 那一定就是你可怜的母亲 |
[07:30] | Eleanor, it’s time to go. | 埃莉诺 该走了 |
[07:34] | The flight leaves at three. | 航班三点起飞 |
[07:37] | Do…nothing. Noth… | 不 别做… |
[07:42] | What was that? | 什么 |
[07:44] | Do…nothing. No go. | 别做 别走 |
[07:48] | You mean… you’ve changed your mind? | 你是说… 你改变主意了 |
[07:52] | No…Swiss-land. | 不去…”瑞仕” |
[08:00] | I’m entitled to feel a little ambiguous about this, | 我完全有理由对这件事感觉莫名其妙 |
[08:03] | don’t you think? | 不是吗 |
[08:04] | I mean, she asked me to organize this, | 她让我来安排 |
[08:06] | – the doctors, the letter of consent– – I know. | -找好了医生 写好同意书 -我知道 |
[08:09] | ..Manipulated me, turned her death into this passion project, | 操纵我 把她的死亡过程变成这个即兴工程 |
[08:10] | and now she changes her mind. | 现在她又改变主意了 |
[08:12] | She’s frightened. She doesn’t want to do it herself. | 她害怕了 她不想自己来 |
[08:15] | She wants someone else to do it for her. | 她想别人替她完成 |
[08:17] | Oh, believe me, I’m sorely tempted. | 相信我 我乐意之至 |
[08:19] | Why isn’t there a bar in this place? It would make a fortune. | 为什么这地方没个酒吧 可能赚钱了 |
[08:22] | – Come… Come and talk to her. – What’s the point? | -过来跟她谈谈 -有什么意义 |
[08:26] | If she ever had anything meaningful to say to me, | 如果她曾有过任何有意义的话对我说 |
[08:28] | it’s too late now. | 现在也太晚了 |
[09:04] | Were you thinking about Eleanor? | 你在想埃莉诺吗 |
[09:09] | Annette. We met in France, remember? | 安妮特 我们在法国见过 记得吗 |
[09:12] | Yes. I hope you’re enjoying my family home. | 记得 希望你喜欢我们家 |
[09:16] | Oh, we are! | 喜欢 |
[09:18] | Seamus sends his love. | 谢默斯向你问好 |
[09:20] | Oh, he’s in your old bedroom now! | 他现在住你以前的卧室 |
[09:23] | He really wanted to be here but he’s still writing his book. | 他真的很想来 但他还在写书 |
[09:28] | How are you taking all this? | 你感觉怎么样 |
[09:31] | I was thinking how life is just the history | 我在想 生命就像是一段历史 |
[09:33] | of things we pay attention to. | 记录我们留意过的那些事物 |
[09:35] | The rest is just packaging. | 其余过程都是打点 |
[09:39] | Maya Angelou says the meaning of life | 马娅·安杰卢说生命的意义 |
[09:43] | is the impact we have on other people, | 就是我们施加给别人的影响 |
[09:46] | whether we make them feel good or not. | 给他人的感受 无论好坏 |
[09:51] | Eleanor always made people feel good. | 埃莉诺总是给人好的感受 |
[09:54] | – I might put that in my speech. – You should! | -我也许会放进讲话里 -你应该放 |
[09:58] | My gift to you. | 是我给你的礼物 |
[10:01] | I tell you who loves Maya Angelou, | 我告诉你谁喜欢马娅·安杰卢 |
[10:03] | is that old man over there, with the stick. | 那边那个老头子 拄拐杖那个 |
[10:05] | Do tell him. His name’s Nick. | 去跟他说 他叫尼克 |
[10:08] | Will do! | 没问题 |
[10:12] | Hello! You must be Nick. | 你好 你一定是尼克吧 |
[10:15] | Patrick, of all the days to have a funeral! | 帕特里克 这日子选得真不灵 |
[10:18] | It’s Prince Charles’ wedding! | 今天是查尔斯亲王结婚的日子 |
[10:19] | Well, feel free to pop down with your cardboard periscope | 如果你觉得那更好玩的话 可以带上 |
[10:22] | and a plastic Union Jack if you think it’d be more entertaining. | 你的纸片潜望镜和塑料英国国旗去 |
[10:27] | Alright? | 你还好吗 |
[10:31] | Lovely venue. | 场地真不错 |
[10:32] | Yes, I’m thinking of getting cremated here myself. | 是啊 我想着自己也在这儿火化 |
[10:34] | – Well, no need to rush. – I was going to wait until I die. | -不用着急 -我本来也打算死后再烧 |
[10:39] | How are you bearing up? | 你怎么样 |
[10:40] | Weirdly elated. | 迷之兴奋 |
[10:42] | I think my mother’s death | 我觉得我母亲的死 |
[10:43] | is the best thing to have happened to me since, | 是最近我身上发生的最好的事了 自从… |
[10:45] | well, my father’s death. | 我父亲的死 |
[10:47] | I’m sure it’s a little more complicated than that. | 我相信没有你说的这么简单 |
[10:48] | – You’re the psychiatrist. – Psychotherapist. | -你是精神病医生 -心理医生 |
[10:51] | – Oh, whatever. – What utter, utter nonsense. | -随便了 -真是太乱来了 |
[10:54] | – Stand by the furnace… – Oh, Christ, Nicholas Pratt. | -站在火炉旁边… -天啊 尼古拉斯·普拉特 |
[10:56] | ..These words. “Goodbye, old thing. | 两个词 “再见 老家伙 |
[10:58] | One of us was bound to die first and I’m delighted it was you!” | 我们当中注定有人先死 我很高兴那个人是你” |
[11:01] | That’s my spiritual practice | 这是我的精神练习 |
[11:03] | and you’re welcome to put it in your hilarious “Spiritual tool box”. | 尽管放到你可笑的”精神工具箱”里 |
[11:06] | Isn’t he hysterical? | 他是不是很暴躁 |
[11:08] | What he doesn’t realize is that we live in a loving universe, | 他没意识到的是 我们住在一个美好的宇宙 |
[11:12] | and it loves you too, Nick! | 宇宙也爱你 尼克 |
[11:15] | My dear, I never thought I’d be so pleased to see you! | 亲爱的 我从没想过见到你会这么高兴 |
[11:17] | Nicholas, who are these peculiar people? | 尼古拉斯 这些怪人是谁 |
[11:20] | And why are they here? | 他们为什么来 |
[11:22] | Zealots, Moonies, witch doctors. | 宗教狂 文鲜明信徒 巫医 |
[11:24] | Avoid eye contact, stick close to me | 避免眼神交流 跟紧我 |
[11:26] | and we may live to tell the tale. | 我们也许就能逃过一劫 |
[11:28] | Well, who is he? | 他是谁 |
[11:30] | He wouldn’t be anybody | 要不是碰巧 |
[11:31] | if he wasn’t my daughter’s psychoanalyst. | 是我女儿的心理医生 他根本不值一提 |
[11:34] | As it is, he’s a fiend! | 其实 他是个魔鬼 |
[11:42] | We can start when you’re ready, sir. | 你准备好我们就可以开始了 先生 |
[11:44] | – Ten minutes. – Ten minutes? | -等我十分钟 -十分钟 |
[11:46] | Well, there are people still arriving! | 还有客人刚刚到 |
[11:50] | Just in time. We’re about to kick off, | 来的正是时候 我们准备开始[死]了 |
[11:52] | if that’s the er… phrase I’m looking for. | 如果是用这个词的话 |
[11:56] | It’s not. | 并不是 |
[11:58] | – It’s been a long time. – Almost a year. | -好久不见 -差不多一年了 |
[12:02] | Is it true you’ve given up drinking again? | 你真的又戒酒了吗 |
[12:04] | Yes, that’s all over. | 是的 都戒了 |
[12:06] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[12:08] | It must be hard just now. | 你现在一定很难受吧 |
[12:09] | Not at all. A crisis demands a hero. | 完全不会 一段危机都需要一位英雄 |
[12:11] | The ambush happens when things are going well. | 日子一过顺总会有意外发生 |
[12:13] | Or so I’m told. | 反正我是这么听说的 |
[12:14] | Still not given up irony, then? | 你还是改不了冷嘲热讽 |
[12:15] | Hardest addiction of all. | 最难戒掉的瘾 |
[12:18] | Forget heroin, that need to mean two things at once… | 海洛因算什么 那种要一语双关的需求… |
[12:21] | I’m having enough trouble wearing nicotine patches | 我一边贴尼古丁贴片 |
[12:24] | and smoking at the same time. | 一边吸烟已经够折磨了 |
[12:25] | Don’t take my irony, leave me with a little sarcasm! | 别抢了我的冷嘲热讽 把讽刺给我留点 |
[12:28] | Sarcasm doesn’t count. That only means one thing. | 讽刺不算 那只意味着一件事 |
[12:31] | Quality freak. | 你这个怪才 |
[12:33] | We’d better go inside. Apparently the corpses are piling up. | 我们还是进去吧 很明显尸体快堆成山了 |
[12:37] | Very exciting. Who’s on the bill? | 真激动人心 谁掏钱 |
[12:39] | I’ve no idea. | 不知道 |
[12:40] | – Mary’s organized it. – Adorable. | -是玛丽策划的 -真好 |
[12:43] | More like a mother than your own mother, really. | 比你母亲称职多了 真的 |
[12:46] | She was, until she had her own children | 之前确实如此 直到她有了自己的孩子后 |
[12:48] | and that rather blew my cover. | 我的身份就暴露了 |
[12:52] | Still, real or not real, | 不管是不是真的 |
[12:53] | I have to burn the remains of the only mother I’ll ever have. | 我都得火化我唯一的母亲 |
[12:58] | It’s good to see you again. I wasn’t sure I would. | 很高兴再见到你 我还以为再见不到了 |
[13:23] | You’re not really gonna live here, are you? | 你不是真要住在这吧 |
[13:28] | I’m trying to think of it as my bachelor pad. | 我尽量把这当成我的单身公寓 |
[13:32] | It’s the kind of place people come to kill themselves. | 这里是大家来自杀的地方 |
[13:35] | Yes. The thought had crossed my mind. | 没错 我也有过这个念头 |
[13:37] | Don’t! Be serious. | 别这样 认真点 |
[13:41] | Christ, it’s all so bleak! | 天啊 这里真阴暗 |
[13:46] | But, I’m sorry, | 但是 抱歉 |
[13:48] | squalor is not an aphrodisiac, | 肮脏并不能激发性欲 |
[13:49] | not at our age. | 对我们这年纪来说不能 |
[13:51] | I can’t come here again. | 我不能再来这了 |
[13:58] | No, I don’t think you should. | 对 我也觉得你不该来了 |
[14:31] | Robert? What are you doing in there? | 罗伯特 你在里面干什么呢 |
[14:36] | Hello. | 你好 |
[14:40] | I didn’t hear you. Come here. | 我没听见你进来 过来 |
[14:45] | – What’s going on? – I’m picking up a few things. | -怎么回事 -我在收拾东西 |
[14:48] | How are you? | 你还好吗 |
[14:49] | Robert, will you take Thomas upstairs, please? | 罗伯特 你能带托马斯上楼去吗 |
[14:50] | But we haven’t seen each other. | 可是我们好久没见了 |
[14:51] | Robert, how are you? Are you well? | 罗伯特 你好吗 最近怎么样 |
[14:53] | How’s school? Where is Thomas? | 学校怎么样了 托马斯呢 |
[14:56] | Now, please. | 快去 |
[15:01] | I’ll come up and say goodbye. | 我会上楼跟你道别的 |
[15:10] | Just a few bits and bobs, if that’s alright. You know. | 只是拿点零碎的东西 如果你没意见的话 |
[15:13] | Just a few family heirlooms to brighten up the bachelor pad… | 就是拿点祖传遗物装饰下我的单身公寓 |
[15:18] | Fine, take what you want. And you can go back to your flat. | 好吧 想拿什么就拿吧 然后回你的公寓去 |
[15:21] | Pass out there. | 昏死在那 |
[15:22] | But I don’t want the children to see you in this state. | 但我不想孩子们看见你这个样子 |
[15:29] | Oops! | 糟糕 |
[15:32] | Don’t worry about the lamp, I’ll buy you a new bloody lamp. | 别心疼这盏灯了 我会给你买盏新的 |
[15:36] | Leave it and go home! | 别管了 回家去 |
[15:38] | Home! | 家 |
[15:39] | How sweet of you to think of it as my home! | 你怎么会觉得那里是我家 |
[15:42] | I am not in the happy position of having a home. | 我现在可不是有家的幸福人士 |
[15:44] | Christ, this is hell! This is like being in hell! | 老天 这就是地狱 这就像身处地狱 |
[15:47] | You – you of all people, should know | 你 你最应该明白 |
[15:50] | this is intolerable! | 这令人无法忍受 |
[15:53] | You know? | 知道吗 |
[15:53] | “The service is intolerable, the noise is intolerable.” | “服务让人无法忍受 嘈杂让人无法忍受” |
[15:56] | Well, this… this is fucking intolerable! | 这 这最让人无法忍受 |
[16:00] | I am not Eleanor and I will not stand by | 我不是埃莉诺 我也不会袖手旁观 |
[16:03] | and watch this disgusting, pitiful spectacle of you | 看着如此不堪 可悲的你 |
[16:07] | destroying yourself. | 自甘堕落 |
[16:09] | And I certainly won’t let the boys watch it, either. | 我也绝不会让孩子们看见你这样 |
[16:12] | It’s too much. | 太不堪入目 |
[16:15] | And it’s gone on for too long. | 也持续了太久 |
[16:19] | If you really are determined to drink yourself to death, | 如果你真决心要喝死自己 |
[16:23] | now you have a flat to go and do it in. | 就在你自己公寓里喝 |
[17:12] | Daddy? | 爸爸 |
[18:13] | You’re undergoing delirium tremens. | 你现在遭受的是震颤性谵妄 |
[18:14] | Do you know what that is, Mr. Melrose? | 你知道那是什么吗 梅尔罗斯先生 |
[18:17] | It…rings a bell. | 好像听说过 |
[18:19] | Then you’ll know what to expect. | 那你应该知道会怎么样 |
[18:20] | Shaking, sweating. | 发抖 出汗 |
[18:22] | There may be some hallucinations. | 可能还有一些幻觉 |
[18:24] | We’ll get you something to stabilize your heart, | 我们会给你一些药物稳定你的心率 |
[18:26] | stop you having seizures. | 让你停止痉挛 |
[18:28] | – I’m going to die. – You are not going to die. | -我要死了 -你不会死 |
[18:31] | I don’t mind. I want to die. | 没关系 我想死 |
[18:34] | I want to die, I want to die. | 我想死 我想死 |
[18:38] | I want to die. | 我想死 |
[19:25] | Oh, Christ. It’s the Spiritual Tool Box. | 天啊 这就是那个”精神工具箱” |
[19:31] | What a great choice for Eleanor. | 多适合埃莉诺啊 |
[19:34] | And a fitting reminder, too, of her incredibly strong connection | 也让人想起她与非裔美国人社群的 |
[19:39] | with the African-American people. | 强烈联系 |
[19:42] | All of you will have known Eleanor here today | 在场的所有人今天都将知道她是怎样的人 |
[19:46] | and…if my Eleanor… is not yours | 如果我眼中的埃莉诺和你的不一样 |
[19:51] | then, all I can say is… | 那么 我只能说 |
[19:55] | ..Let her in. | 接受她 |
[19:59] | Let her in. | 接受她吧 |
[20:01] | I first met Eleanor when a group of us | 我第一次见埃莉诺是在 |
[20:03] | from the Dublin Women’s Healing Drum Circle | 我们一群都柏林女性手鼓治疗团的团员 |
[20:06] | traveled down to her wonderful house in Provence, | 旅行到她在普罗旺斯的家中 |
[20:09] | which many of you know well. | 在场很多人都熟知那里 |
[20:13] | When we arrived | 当我们一到 |
[20:14] | we saw her sitting on the wall of the terrace, | 就看到她坐在露台上 |
[20:18] | hands tucked under her thighs, | 双手放在大腿下 |
[20:21] | looking for all the world like a lonely young child, | 像个孤单的孩童一样环顾着世界 |
[20:26] | dreaming of the future. | 梦想着未来 |
[20:29] | Soon she had flung wide her arms to welcome us, | 很快 她挥开双臂欢迎我们 |
[20:34] | but I never forgot | 但我永远忘不了 |
[20:36] | that first impression of her child-like innocence… | 见她第一面时 她那孩子般的纯真 |
[21:21] | I can never forget he’s David’s son. | 我永远忘不了他是大卫的孩子 |
[21:25] | Does he remind you of him? | 他会让你想起大卫吗 |
[21:28] | In flashes… when he’s angry or sarcastic. | 偶尔 当他生气或是挖苦别人的时候 |
[21:33] | Which thankfully is less often now. | 谢天谢地 那种情形现在越来越少了 |
[21:39] | Does he talk to you about him? | 他会跟你谈起他父亲吗 |
[21:43] | I don’t think his father haunts him the way he once did. | 我觉得他父亲现在没那么让他不安了 |
[21:48] | “Haunts”. | “不安” |
[21:52] | I’m gonna catch you. | 我要抓到你 |
[21:56] | May I show you something, in private? | 我能私下给你看点东西吗 |
[22:00] | I get an awful lot of letters, | 我会收到大量的信件 |
[22:02] | usually people asking for a helping hand. | 通常是人们请求援助 |
[22:03] | And I give it if I can, but… this is something different. | 如果我能帮就帮 但这封不一样 |
[22:08] | She stayed here as a child. | 她小时候在这待过 |
[22:12] | She seems…deeply damaged. | 她看上去备受创伤 |
[22:16] | Yes. | 对 |
[22:17] | I mean, clearly she’s a very unhappy woman – | 显然她生活得很不快乐 |
[22:20] | the alcohol, the depression. | 酗酒 抑郁 |
[22:22] | But, honestly, to lay this at my door. | 但说真的 给我寄这种东西 |
[22:24] | – Do you remember her? – Of course! | -你记得她吗 -当然 |
[22:26] | The family were charming. | 那一家人很有风度 |
[22:27] | She was a bright and happy little girl. | 她当时又开朗 又快乐 |
[22:31] | David could be harsh, but the children were always safe. | 大卫有时会有点严厉 但孩子们是安全的 |
[22:35] | He was better with children, playful even, | 他跟孩子更处得来 甚至很爱玩 |
[22:38] | as long as they weren’t too noisy. | 只要他们不吵到他 |
[22:43] | All I know is the family seemed very happy. | 我只知道他们一家看上去很幸福 |
[22:47] | They… They told me they’d had a lovely time. | 他们告诉我他们玩得很开心 |
[22:50] | She says your husband interfered with her. | 她说你丈夫性侵她 |
[22:53] | But how could he? | 怎么可能 |
[22:55] | I mean, it was inconceivable | 那简直难以置信 |
[22:57] | literally, inconceivable. | 真的 难以置信[不可受孕] |
[23:00] | – No suspicions? – No. | -没怀疑过 -没 |
[23:02] | No signs? | 没征兆 |
[23:04] | None at all. And that’s what makes me so angry. | 完全没有 所以我才这么生气 |
[23:08] | “I forgive you.” | “我原谅你” |
[23:10] | She forgives me for not protecting her, but how could I? | 她原谅我没保护她 但我怎么保护 |
[23:15] | From what? | 保护她什么 |
[23:17] | I mean, this is behavior I didn’t even know existed. | 我都不知道有这种行为 |
[23:22] | Here we go. | 来了 |
[23:24] | You mustn’t mention a word of this. | 这件事你一个字也不许提 |
[23:26] | It will only unsettle him… | 这只会让他不安 |
[23:28] | all this talk of… | 这些关于… |
[23:32] | blame and forgiveness. | 责怪和原谅的谈话 |
[23:34] | I know what a tyrant his father could be, | 我知道他父亲有时候很霸道 |
[23:38] | but I did my best – | 但我尽了最大努力 |
[23:40] | my very, very best to protect our son. | 竭尽所能 来保护我们的孩子 |
[23:48] | Are you awake? | 你醒着吗 |
[24:04] | The things…you told me, when we met. | 我们刚见面时 你告诉我的一些事 |
[24:09] | About your father. | 关于你父亲的 |
[24:14] | – What’s brought this on? – We have to talk about them again. | -怎么提起这事了 -我们得再谈一次 |
[24:22] | Well, I don’t think I have anything further to add so… | 我觉得我没什么要补充的了… |
[24:25] | I think… you should tell your mother. | 我觉得你该告诉你母亲 |
[24:29] | I’m sorry, I know it’s hard. | 对不起 我知道这很艰难 |
[24:32] | I know you don’t want to. | 我知道你不想 |
[24:33] | – Well, why then? – Because… | -那为什么 -因为… |
[24:38] | She can’t keep hiding. | 她不能再继续逃避 |
[24:46] | “When I was a child | “在我小时候 |
[24:48] | I spake as a child. | 我像孩子一样讲话 |
[24:51] | I understood as a child. | 像孩子一样理解事物 |
[24:55] | When I became a man, | 当我长大成人 |
[24:57] | I put away childish things. | 我放弃那些小孩的举动 |
[25:00] | For now I see through a glass, darkly. | 现在 我隐约透过玻璃观看 |
[25:04] | But then, face to face, now I know in part…” | 然而那时则是面对面 我多少懂了…” |
[25:09] | Christ, not this old chestnut. | 天啊 又是这老一套 |
[25:12] | Who’s on next? | 下一个是谁 |
[25:15] | – Patrick. – “..And now abideth faith, | -帕特里克 -“现在我信守信仰 |
[25:18] | hope, love, these three. | 希望和爱 |
[25:21] | But the greatest of these… is love.” | 但这三样中最重要的 是爱” |
[25:35] | Lovely spot. | 这里很美 |
[25:37] | It is. | 确实 |
[25:40] | – Mind if I join? – Please. | -我能一起吗 -来吧 |
[26:09] | I’ve been trying out different combinations of words, | 我一直寻找合适的表达 |
[26:11] | and none of them are right, | 它们都不太合适 |
[26:12] | so perhaps if I don’t think too much and just come out with it. | 或许我该不多想 应该直接说出来 |
[26:20] | When we were here… | 我们以前来这的时候… |
[26:24] | ..When I was a child, and we used to come here… | 在我小时候 我们常常来这里… |
[26:27] | and for some years afterwards… | 在那之后的几年… |
[26:32] | ..Father used… | 父亲会… |
[26:42] | ..He used to rape me. | 他会强奸我 |
[26:49] | Me too. | 还有我 |
[26:56] | Me too. | 还有我 |
[27:18] | I… I haven’t prepared a speech. | 我没有准备演讲稿 |
[27:23] | As you’ll see. | 你们也将会看出来 |
[27:35] | A lot has been said today about my mother’s innocence, | 今天到场的很多人都谈到了我母亲的性格纯真 |
[27:39] | and how child-like she… | 还有她孩子般的心地… |
[27:49] | All I know is that when I was a child… | 我只知道在我小时候… |
[27:59] | ..When my father was… | 当我父亲… |
[28:14] | Why didn’t she… | 她为什么没有… |
[28:19] | Why… Why couldn’t… Why couldn’t she… | 她为什么没能… 为什么没能… |
[28:24] | I’m sorry. I’m sorry, I can’t… | 对不起 对不起 我不行… |
[28:26] | I can’t do this…I can’t! | 我做不到 我做不到 |
[28:56] | I swear, if I hear one more person | 我发誓 要是我再听到有人跟我说 |
[28:57] | telling me how innocent she was– | 她有多天真无辜… |
[28:58] | She might not have been, | 她或许不无辜 |
[29:00] | – but even so it’s an emotional time– – Please, Mary, no. | -但现在不能感情用事 -玛丽 别 |
[29:02] | No, no, no. Stop! This is not grief or mourning. | 不不不 闭嘴 这无关悲痛或哀悼 |
[29:05] | This is rage, my heart is racing with it. | 这是愤怒 我心中燃烧着怒火 |
[29:07] | She knew! She must have known. | 她知道 她肯定知道 |
[29:10] | Surely she must have, even subconsciously. | 她肯定知道 哪怕是潜意识的察觉 |
[29:12] | She knew what he was like | 她知道他是什么德行 |
[29:14] | and yet she failed to do the one thing she was obliged to do, | 却没能做一件她最有义务做的事 |
[29:17] | to protect her son! | 保护她的儿子 |
[29:19] | Christ knows, I’ve been a fucking useless father | 我虽然是个很没用的父亲 |
[29:22] | and a useless husband. | 很没用的丈夫 |
[29:22] | And I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. | 我也真的很抱歉 |
[29:24] | But if I thought someone was gonna harm our children, | 但要是我觉得有人要伤害我们的孩子 |
[29:27] | I would fight. | 我一定会反抗 |
[29:27] | Even I would do whatever it takes | 无论要付出什么代价 |
[29:28] | because if you love someone, you protect them. | 因为如果你爱他们 就一定会保护他们 |
[29:31] | But my mother? | 但我妈呢 |
[29:33] | Christ, no wonder he stuck with her! | 天啊 怪不得他离不开她 |
[29:37] | All those children around and a son thrown into the bargain. | 周围那么多的小孩 再白送一个儿子 |
[29:42] | He couldn’t believe his fucking luck! | 他可能都不相信自己运气那么好 |
[29:47] | Years and years and years of it, | 那么那么多年 |
[29:50] | doing whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. | 只要他想 随时都能为所欲为 |
[29:56] | Nobody should do that to anybody else. | 没人可以对别人做那种事 |
[30:01] | No… | 不要 |
[30:06] | Christ, Mary. | 天啊 玛丽 |
[30:10] | I thought I was getting better, but I’m such a fucking mess. | 我以为我好起来了 可我还是一团糟 |
[30:30] | 纪念埃莉诺·梅尔罗斯 2005年4月9号 12点 | |
[31:02] | How often would you say you have suicidal thoughts? | 你多久会出现一次自杀的念头 |
[31:06] | When I was younger it was all the time, | 我更年轻时总有那样的想法 |
[31:09] | I never questioned it. | 我从没质疑过它 |
[31:10] | But then, when we had the boys | 但之后我们有了儿子 |
[31:13] | it was…more of a whisper. | 它变成了耳边低语 |
[31:16] | On a quiet coastal path, | 在安静的海边小道上 |
[31:18] | in the chemist… | 在药店… |
[31:24] | ..Driving on the motorway. | 在高速上骑车时都会轻轻响起 |
[31:31] | And now? | 现在呢 |
[31:36] | I look at the window and | 我看着窗户 |
[31:37] | wonder whether this floor is high enough. | 在想这层楼够不够高 |
[31:46] | Are you gonna be alright? | 你会没事吗 |
[31:49] | Let’s find out. | 待会就知道了 |
[31:56] | – Daddy! – Thomas! | -爸爸 -托马斯 |
[32:01] | Hello, how are you? How’s your other granny? | 你好吗 你外婆呢 |
[32:03] | The same. | 老样子 |
[32:05] | Patrick! After the disinheritance, | 帕特里克 发生剥夺继承权那种事以后 |
[32:07] | it would have been hypocritical of me to go to the funeral. | 我再去参加葬礼就显得太虚伪了 |
[32:09] | But the party’s a different matter. | 但派对是另一回事 |
[32:10] | I want to support you. | 我很想支持你 |
[32:12] | And, of course, it helps with it being just around the corner. | 何况地点就在转角 这件事变得容易多了 |
[32:15] | Patrick, what an unusual speech. So eloquent. | 帕特里克 不同凡响的演讲 真动人 |
[32:17] | And how thrilling to be introduced, | 而且我很荣幸能在这个年纪 |
[32:19] | at my advanced age, to a new club. | 还被邀请加入一个新俱乐部 |
[32:22] | The Onslow Club! I’ve never heard it mentioned… | 翁斯洛俱乐部 我之前从没听说过… |
[32:26] | – Is this your eldest? – Yes. Robert. | -这是你大儿子吗 -对 叫罗伯特 |
[32:29] | What a pity David isn’t here to enjoy your sons. | 大卫不能在这共享天伦之乐真是很遗憾 |
[32:33] | He would at least have ensured | 他至少能保证 |
[32:35] | that they didn’t spend the whole day in front of the television. | 他们不会一整天都待在电视机前 |
[32:39] | I vividly remember, when we had once seen some children | 我清楚地记得 我们原来见过一些小孩 |
[32:42] | practically give birth to a cathode ray tube, | 几乎是天天看着电视长大的 |
[32:46] | he said to me, “I dread to think | 他跟我说 “我都不敢想象 |
[32:48] | what all that radiation is doing to their little genitals.” | 这些辐射会对他们的小弟弟造成什么影响” |
[32:51] | Robert, why don’t you run ahead and find your mother? | 罗伯特 你先去前面找你妈妈吧 |
[32:56] | How’s your daughter, Nicholas? | 你女儿怎么样 尼古拉斯 |
[32:59] | Well, I presume. | 我觉得 |
[33:00] | We’ve not spoken for years. | 我们已经很多年没说过话了 |
[33:04] | I can’t help thinking | 我不禁想象 |
[33:06] | how much your father would have savored this occasion. | 你父亲能给这个场合增色多少 |
[33:09] | Whatever his drawbacks as a parent, | 无论他作为父亲有多少过失 |
[33:11] | he never lost his sense of humor. | 他从来都不失幽默感 |
[33:13] | Easy not to lose what you never had. | 从未拥有的东西自然很难失去 |
[33:15] | I disagree. He saw the funny side in everything. | 我不同意 他能看见一切事物的有趣之处 |
[33:17] | He only ever saw the funny side of things that didn’t have one. | 他只会在不该笑的事情上看到好笑的一面 |
[33:19] | Cruelty and laughter have always been close neighbors. | 残忍和欢笑总是密不可分 |
[33:23] | Close without being incestuous. | 密不可分不代表乱伦 |
[33:26] | Your father had a rare and precious disdain | 你父亲对大多数人的观点 |
[33:30] | for the opinions of most people– | 持稀有而可贵的蔑视 |
[33:32] | Nicholas, I understand | 尼古拉斯 我明白 |
[33:33] | how much you must miss my other amazing parent, | 你一定非常怀念我的另一位亲人 |
[33:35] | – but if you’ll forgive me… – ..Morality… | -但抱歉失陪… -美德 |
[33:36] | – ..I have to deal with – A colossus. | -我必须去招待 -一位伟人 |
[33:37] | the people that have come here to mourn my mother. | 那些来哀悼我母亲的人 |
[33:42] | Are you alright, there, Nick? | 你没事吧 尼克 |
[33:44] | Did you get yourself in a bit of a muddle? | 是不是有点把自己搞糊涂了 |
[33:46] | Do not call me Nick! | 别叫我尼克 |
[33:56] | Excuse me. | 失陪下 |
[33:57] | I can’t breathe. | 我喘不上气 |
[33:58] | It feels like someone’s squeezing my throat. | 感觉像有人扼住我的喉咙 |
[34:01] | To see that… to see that ghoul Nicholas Pratt, | 我看到…看到尼古拉斯·普拉特 |
[34:04] | my father’s representative on earth, touching Robert. | 那个我父亲留在这世界的变态代言人在碰罗伯特 |
[34:06] | I can’t be in the same room. | 我不能跟他呆在一个房间 |
[34:08] | – Wine or champagne? – Oh, God! | -葡萄酒还是香槟 -老天 |
[34:09] | – He means no, thank you. – Maybe later. | -他是说不用 谢谢 -晚点吧 |
[34:11] | Very much later. Have some water. | 晚很多 喝点水 |
[34:13] | Christ. I know her. | 天啊 我认识她 |
[34:15] | It’s Amitriptyline. What the fuck is she doing here? | 是那个阿米替林 她来这干什么 |
[34:17] | Who? | 谁 |
[34:18] | No. No, no, no. I need to get some fresh air. | 不不不不 我需要新鲜空气 |
[34:20] | I’m going to go for a walk round the block. | 我去街区周围走走 |
[34:51] | The thing is… | 问题是 |
[34:52] | I absolutely loathe my children. | 我极度厌恶我的孩子 |
[34:56] | They’re monsters, they’re complete horrors. | 他们是魔鬼 完全令人恐怖 |
[35:00] | And, of course, I’ve played my part. | 当然 我也有份 |
[35:03] | I lay in bed for ten months, I didn’t utter a single syllable. | 我在床上躺了十个月 一言不发 |
[35:06] | And when I did start I couldn’t stop | 当我开始喝酒就停不下来 |
[35:08] | because it had all just piled up. | 因为酒瘾积少成多 |
[35:16] | I woke up next morning in the guest room | 我第二天早上在客房醒来 |
[35:19] | and there was excrement, human excrement, | 身边有粪便 人的粪便 |
[35:24] | smeared all over the hand-painted wallpaper. | 弄得手绘墙纸上到处都是 |
[35:29] | And it took me a while to realize that it was mine. | 过了一会我才意识到那是我的 |
[35:36] | I think we need to be aware of the alcoholic | 我想除酒精外 我们还需注意 |
[35:39] | behind the alcohol. | 含酒精食物 |
[35:41] | You can take the brandy out of the fruitcake, | 你做水果蛋糕时可以不加白兰地 |
[35:44] | but you’ve still got the fruitcake. | 但它依然是水果蛋糕 |
[35:49] | – I don’t think you can. – What? | -我认为不可以 -什么 |
[35:51] | Take the brandy out of the fruitcake. | 做水果蛋糕不加白兰地 |
[35:55] | Same as you can’t take eggs out of a soufflé. | 就像做蛋奶酥不加蛋 |
[35:58] | – Well, it’s only a metaphor. – Only a metaphor! | -只是打个比方 -打个比方 |
[36:02] | – Patrick– – But it doesn’t work! | -帕特里克 -但这说不通 |
[36:03] | Could we move on? Please? | 我们继续吧 好吗 |
[36:19] | Becky. | 贝姬 |
[36:20] | Self-harming, resistant depressive. | 自残 难治性抑郁症 |
[36:23] | Patrick. | 帕特里克 |
[36:23] | Narcissistic, schizoid, suicidal alcoholic. | 自恋 精神分裂 自杀性酗酒 |
[36:27] | How many types of medication do they have you on? | 他们让你吃几种药 |
[36:29] | Three. Two anti-depressants and a tranquillizer. | 三种 两种抗抑郁药 一种镇静剂 |
[36:33] | – I’m on eight. – Then I suppose you win. | -我吃八种 -那看来你赢了 |
[36:45] | I think a lot of my relationship problems stem from the fact | 我想我的很多恋爱问题源于 |
[36:49] | that the person I’m having a relationship with | 我恋爱的对象 |
[36:52] | doesn’t know we’re in a relationship. | 不知道我们是在恋爱 |
[36:55] | Fuck, Jill! | 靠 吉尔 |
[36:57] | No wonder you’re here for the ninth time! | 难怪你是第九次来这了 |
[37:05] | You’re going to have to apologize for that. | 你得为此道歉 |
[37:08] | Why? I meant it. | 为什么 我就这么想的 |
[37:10] | That’s why you have to apologize. | 正因如此你才必须道歉 |
[37:13] | But I wouldn’t mean it if I apologized. | 但如果我道歉了说明我不是这么想的 |
[37:16] | Fake it to make it, man. Fake it to make it. | 暗示自己就能做到 暗示自己 |
[37:21] | Fuck! | 操 |
[37:39] | Patrick! | 帕特里克 |
[37:42] | I was looking for you. | 我在找你 |
[37:45] | – They’re throwing me out. – Really? | -他们要把我赶走了 -真的 |
[37:47] | They say I’m a… disruptive influence. | 他们说我是个 破坏分子 |
[37:49] | I don’t contribute. | 我不做贡献 |
[37:51] | Of course I don’t fucking contribute, I’m depressed! | 我当然不做什么贡献 我抑郁啊 |
[37:54] | Fuck, I hate this fucking place! | 操 我恨这该死的地方 |
[37:56] | – Rebecca… – I can’t go back to my parents. | -丽贝卡 -我不能回我父母家 |
[38:00] | This is my sister’s address. | 这是我姐姐的地址 |
[38:03] | She’s away, so… I’ll be there alone. | 她不在家 所以…我一个人住 |
[38:06] | Miss Owen, now, please. | 欧文小姐 请马上过来 |
[38:09] | Come and find me. | 来找我 |
[39:05] | Well done. You came back. | 干得好 你回来了 |
[39:09] | I still want to leave. | 我还是想走 |
[39:11] | I want to leave with that waitress over there. | 想和那边那个服务员一起走 |
[39:13] | Christ, look at her. | 天啊 瞧瞧她 |
[39:15] | Do you think if I told her it was my mother’s funeral | 你觉得如果我告诉她这是我母亲的葬礼 |
[39:17] | and I needed cheering up– | 我需要振作起来 |
[39:18] | She might be the one to save you? | 她可能会拯救你 |
[39:22] | It’s worth a try. | 值得一试 |
[39:27] | Patrick, it turns out Fleur is an old friend | 帕特里克 原来弗勒尔是你母亲的 |
[39:30] | – of your mother’s. – Yes, actually, we’ve met before. | -一位故友 -是的 其实我们见过 |
[39:32] | – Your mother saved my life. – Really? | -你母亲救过我的命 -真的 |
[39:35] | She gave me a job in one of the charity shops she ran. | 她给了我一份她开的慈善商店的工作 |
[39:39] | And that is where I had one of my episodes. | 就是在那里 我发作过一次 |
[39:43] | We’d had a fur coat in that morning. | 那天早上我们进了一件皮毛大衣 |
[39:45] | It was an amazing sable coat. | 那是一件非常漂亮的貂皮大衣 |
[39:48] | And I put it on, emptied the till, shut the shop, | 我穿上大衣 掏空了钱匣子 关了店铺 |
[39:51] | hailed a cab and I said, | 叫了一辆出租 我说 |
[39:52] | “Take me to The Ritz!” | “带我去丽兹酒店” |
[39:54] | And I sat in the Palm Court drinking champagne cocktails | 我坐在酒店大厅喝香槟鸡尾酒 |
[39:57] | and talking to anyone who would listen. | 逮谁跟谁聊天 |
[40:00] | And eventually the police were summoned, | 最终有人找来了警察 |
[40:03] | and I had no one to call on but your mother. | 我没人可找 只能打给你母亲 |
[40:05] | And I promised I’d never do it again. | 我保证我以后绝不再犯了 |
[40:08] | I mean, I did. | 我确实又犯了 |
[40:09] | Many, many times. | 很多很多次 |
[40:11] | But you should be very proud of her. | 但你应该为她感到非常骄傲 |
[40:14] | She did an enormous amount of practical good. | 她做了许多真正的好事 |
[40:17] | And she’s touched hundreds of lives. | 她改变了无数人的生命 |
[40:20] | Very good of you to let me know. Thank you. | 你能告诉我真好 谢谢 |
[40:21] | – So… Do you? – Do I what? | -那你是吗 -什么 |
[40:25] | Do you feel proud of your mother? | 你为你母亲感到骄傲吗 |
[40:29] | – I’m really not sure. – You’re not sure? | -我真的不确定 -你不确定 |
[40:34] | Well, you’re worse than my children. | 你还不如我孩子 |
[40:36] | – Sorry, I really ought to circulate. – Absolute bastards. | -抱歉 我得去看看别人了 -真是混蛋 |
[40:40] | All of you… | 你们都是 |
[40:44] | So what did the lunatic have to say? | 那个疯子说了什么 |
[40:46] | She suggested there’s no easy conclusion | 她说某人的生命有何意义 |
[40:48] | about what someone’s life means. | 很难轻易得出结论 |
[40:51] | You can come to a conclusion about what it means to you. | 你可以总结一下这对你有何意义 |
[40:57] | Actually, I feel inconclusive about both my parents. | 其实我对我父母的感情都没法下定论 |
[41:00] | Sounds exhausting. | 听起来很心累 |
[41:02] | Isn’t it easier just to loathe their guts? | 单纯厌恶他们俩不会更容易吗 |
[41:04] | Yes, I tried that with my father. | 是 我试过恨我爸 |
[41:06] | No good. | 没什么用 |
[41:08] | The truth is I feel everything: | 事实上 我内心是五味杂陈 |
[41:10] | contempt, pity, rage, terror… | 轻蔑 遗憾 暴怒 恐惧 |
[41:14] | and tenderness. | 还有亲切 |
[41:17] | Tenderness? | 亲切 |
[41:18] | At the thought of how unhappy he was, they both were. | 我想到他从前有多不开心 他们俩都是 |
[41:22] | And then of course I remember I have sons of my own | 当然 之后我想起我自己也有儿子 |
[41:24] | and the loathing floods back. | 那种憎恶之情又席卷而来 |
[41:29] | Well, I hate bereavement. It plays havoc with your eyeliner. | 我讨厌丧亲之痛 把我的眼线都弄花了 |
[41:33] | I didn’t realize my mother meant so much. | 没想到我母亲对你这么重要 |
[41:35] | Oh, it’s nothing to do with her. | 这跟她没什么关系 |
[41:38] | It’s just the way tears spring on you, | 只是参加葬礼或是观看荒唐的电影时 |
[41:39] | at a funeral or a silly film. | 人们哭起来总是毫不吝惜 |
[41:42] | Not brought on by the thing that triggers them, | 我想哭不是因为具体的诱因 |
[41:44] | just from a generalized sadness, I suppose. | 只是广义的悲伤 |
[41:50] | Sometimes the trigger and the sadness are the same thing. | 有时诱因和悲伤是一回事 |
[41:55] | Occasionally. | 有时吧 |
[42:00] | Oh, Christ, I wonder what it’d be like | 天啊 我真是好奇 |
[42:01] | to have an unconditioned response about something, | 对某件事有无条件的反应是什么样子 |
[42:03] | anything, without irony and detachment, | 对任何事都是 不带有讽刺和冷漠 |
[42:06] | just to be spontaneous, to feel something– | 只是发自肺腑 去感受某件事 |
[42:09] | Well, it’s no use asking me. | 你问我可没用 |
[42:14] | No. | 确实 |
[42:15] | Sorry, erm… you can’t actually smoke out here. | 抱歉 你不能在这里抽烟 |
[42:19] | Really? I didn’t know. | 真的吗 我不知道 |
[42:24] | It’s funny, because it is outside. | 说来有趣 因为这里是室外 |
[42:27] | It’s technically still part of the club, | 严格来说这里还是俱乐部的一部分 |
[42:29] | and er…there’s no smoking anywhere in the club. | 而整个俱乐部都是禁烟的 |
[42:31] | So… | 所以 |
[42:32] | Well, I’d better put it out, then. | 那我最好还是把烟掐了 |
[43:00] | No, let me. | 不 让我来吧 |
[43:05] | – I’m so sorry about that. – It’s okay. | -真是抱歉 -没关系 |
[43:07] | I’m used to it. | 我习惯了 |
[43:27] | Excuse me? Hello. Sorry. | 不好意思 打扰下 |
[43:29] | I just… I wondered if I could erm… | 我在想…我能不能… |
[43:31] | Tea or coffee? | 要茶还是咖啡 |
[43:33] | Actually, no, it’s something else. | 其实不是要喝的 是别的东西 |
[43:38] | I just… Would you mind… if I took your number? | 我只是… 能不能给我你的电话号码 |
[44:01] | 如果你想做些疯狂的事 就来伦敦达拉斯街找我 | |
[44:16] | – Oh, Christ. – Hello. | -天啊 -你好 |
[44:19] | Are you leaving? | 你要走了吗 |
[44:21] | Oh, I must say, I don’t envy you. | 我得说 我不嫉妒你 |
[44:23] | I love it here. It gets me away from my awful children. | 我喜欢这里 能让我远离我可恶的孩子们 |
[44:28] | The little shits. I loathe them. | 那些小混蛋 我厌恶他们 |
[44:31] | Do you have children yourself? | 你自己有孩子吗 |
[44:32] | Actually, I’m sorry, I’m trying to… | 真是抱歉 我正想… |
[44:34] | Well, if I have one word of advice, it’s this. | 要是建议只能说一个词 那就是 |
[44:37] | Amitriptyline. | 阿米替林 |
[44:38] | The only time I’ve ever been happy was on it, | 我唯一开心的时候就是吃这药的时候 |
[44:40] | but these bastards won’t give me any. | 但那些混蛋就是不给我药吃 |
[44:42] | The thing is, I’m trying not to take anything, so… | 问题是 我在努力戒毒 |
[44:44] | Don’t be ridiculous. It’s the most marvelous drug. | 别傻了 这是最神奇的药 |
[44:49] | Amitriptyline! | 阿米替林 |
[44:57] | I’d expected more people. She was very well-loved. | 我还以为会有更多人来 她生前很受爱戴 |
[45:02] | Well, she lost touch with people when she stopped speaking. | 她不再说话时就与那些人失去联系了 |
[45:05] | It must have been terrible for her, | 这对她来说一定糟糕透了 |
[45:07] | not to be able to say what she wanted to, | 想说的话说不出口 |
[45:09] | especially to Patrick. | 尤其是对帕特里克 |
[45:11] | That’s why we must all resolve to drop our defenses | 所以我们都必须卸下心防 |
[45:13] | and say what we feel, while we can. | 直言心中所想 省得留有遗憾 |
[45:15] | – Mummy! – And then at this point the English usually say, | -妈妈 -而这时英国人通常就会说 |
[45:19] | “Well, this is a cheerful subject!” | “这真是个愉快的话题” |
[45:22] | I see you two are still glued to each other. | 看得出来你们俩还整天黏在一起 |
[45:24] | Well, no one can hope to | 没人能够 |
[45:25] | ignore their children as completely as you did. | 像你这么彻底地忽视自己的孩子 |
[45:28] | Mary! | 玛丽 |
[45:30] | You go and find Robert, darling. | 亲爱的 你去找罗伯特吧 |
[45:33] | We always communicated! | 我们一直都有沟通 |
[45:35] | Do you remember what you said to me | 你还记得你打电话到我学校 |
[45:37] | when you telephoned me at school to say Daddy had died? | 告诉我爸爸死了的时候 你说了什么吗 |
[45:40] | – Well, I said how awful it was. – “Cheer up,” You said. | -我说了我感觉有多糟糕 -你说”振作点” |
[45:44] | “Cheer up”! You never had any idea who I was then | “振作点” 你那时就完全不了解我 |
[45:47] | and you still don’t now. | 到现在还是不了解 |
[45:53] | How are you, dear? | 你还好吗 亲爱的 |
[45:56] | Well… | 这个… |
[45:58] | considering I’ve just had my head bitten off by my daughter. | 我可是刚被我女儿骂得狗血淋头 |
[46:01] | Has she had mental health problems? | 她得过精神疾病吗 |
[46:04] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么 |
[46:14] | Have you had mental health problems? | 你得过精神疾病吗 |
[46:21] | Have we met? | 我们认识吗 |
[46:23] | Well, I just have a feeling for these things. | 我对这种事的预感很准 |
[46:27] | So, have you? | 所以你得过吗 |
[46:29] | No, I have not had “Mental health problems”. | 没有 我没得过”精神疾病” |
[46:34] | Even in this degenerate age of confession and complaint, | 即使是在这个充斥着忏悔和抱怨的变质年代里 |
[46:38] | when the vocabulary of Freudian mumbo-jumbo | 所有人的对话中都充满着 |
[46:41] | is emptied onto every conversation | 弗洛伊德的胡言乱语 |
[46:43] | like vinegar onto a newspaper full of sodden chips, | 就像报纸包裹着的被醋浸透的薯条一样 |
[46:46] | some of us choose not to tuck in! | 有的人就会选择不吃 |
[46:49] | As if it weren’t ludicrous enough | 就好像所有孩子都必须天赋秉异 |
[46:51] | that every child must be gifted, | 这个说法还不够荒谬一样 |
[46:53] | they now have to be ill as well. | 他们现在还必须有病了 |
[46:56] | A touch of Asperger’s, some autism, | 艾斯伯格症候群 自闭症 |
[46:59] | dyslexia stalks the playground! | 读写困难症 惑乱着校园 |
[47:02] | Poor little things. | 可怜的孩子们 |
[47:03] | If they can’t confess to being abused, | 他们如果说自己没有被虐待 |
[47:05] | they must confess to being abusive! | 那就一定得说自己有虐待倾向 |
[47:08] | Well, my dear – | 亲爱的 |
[47:10] | I call you my dear from what is no doubt known as | 我称你”亲爱的” 是因为我显然得了 |
[47:12] | “Sincerity Deficit Disorder” – – | “诚意缺乏紊乱症” |
[47:15] | no, I have never suffered the slightest taint of mental illness | 不 我从没有受到精神疾病的丝毫侵扰 |
[47:19] | because I am the impossible man – | 因为我就是那个不可能的存在 |
[47:21] | the man who is entirely well! | 那个完全健康的人 |
[47:24] | Psychotherapists scatter… | 精神治疗医生说 |
[47:24] | You are completely off your rocker! | 你完全失去理智了 |
[47:26] | in my presence, ashamed of their sham profession. | 当着我的面说 他们为自己的骗人职业而羞愧 |
[47:27] | And I thought as much… | 而我想… |
[47:29] | ..my little radar. | 我的小雷达 |
[47:31] | Bugger off! | 走开 |
[47:32] | A month in the clinic will do you the power of good | 在诊所待一个月就能帮到你了 |
[47:35] | because it will re-clothe you in your rightful mind. | 因为那会重赐给你正直心灵 |
[47:35] | 出自宗教乐曲《亲爱的主 人类的父》 | |
[47:37] | *Oh, the Father of Mankind* | *人类的父* |
[47:39] | – *Forgive our foolish ways* – Is everything alright? | -*恕我们愚钝* -没事吧 |
[47:42] | God, here he is! | 老天 他来了 |
[47:44] | Like an exhibit in a courtroom drama. | 就像法庭剧里出示的证据一样 |
[47:47] | A practicing witch doctor. | 执业的巫医 |
[47:48] | I was just trying to help this poor man… | 我只是想帮助这个可怜的人 |
[47:50] | A man happy to turn my daughter against her own father. | 一个乐于教唆我女儿对抗自己父亲的人 |
[47:52] | ..of mental health problems. | 这个患有精神疾病的人 |
[47:53] | Inventing repulsive fantasies, | 编造着令人作呕的幻想 |
[47:56] | polluting human imagination with murderous babies | 用杀人婴儿和乱伦来污染人类的 |
[48:01] | and incestuous… | 想象… |
[48:09] | Well, he has got himself all worked up. | 他情绪太激动了 |
[48:12] | – I’ll call an ambulance. – Hoist with his own petard. | -我去叫救护车 -咎由自取 |
[48:15] | As they say. | 俗话说得好啊 |
[48:16] | Oh, God, that would really finish me off. | 天哪 真是把我恶心坏了 |
[48:19] | Is she praying? | 她是在祈祷吗 |
[48:21] | – That’s nice of her. – Return to the mother… | -真好心 -回到母亲的怀抱… |
[48:27] | Johnny. | 约翰尼 |
[48:31] | Say goodbye to your father for me. | 帮我跟你父亲说声再见 |
[48:39] | Pat… Pat… | 帕特… 帕特… |
[48:44] | Pat… | 帕特… |
[48:47] | Pat… Pat… | 帕特… 帕特… |
[48:50] | Pat… | 帕特… |
[49:19] | Heart attack, apparently. | 很明显是心脏病发作 |
[49:22] | You can tell by the cold nose. | 看他鼻子冰凉就知道了 |
[49:24] | I’ll go with him to the hospital. | 我陪他去医院 |
[49:26] | What an emotional day! | 今天真是太伤感了 |
[49:31] | Don’t worry, Nick, I won’t leave your side. | 别担心 尼克 我不会离开你的 |
[49:39] | I must go. I’ve a patient at four. | 我得走了 我四点还有病人 |
[49:41] | – Thank you. – Well done. | -谢谢你 -你做得很好 |
[49:43] | For what? The public breakdown? | 什么很好 大庭广众之下情绪失控吗 |
[49:45] | In the trade it’s what we’d call a breakthrough. | 在这一行里 我们称之为突破 |
[49:48] | Yes, well… without getting Californian… | 是的 不扯加州那一套… |
[49:52] | I’m grateful. | 我很感激 |
[50:01] | Are you coming back with us? | 你跟我们一起回去吗 |
[50:05] | You’d be very welcome. | 我们非常欢迎 |
[50:08] | No, I’ll see you at the weekend. Come here. | 不 我周末再去看你们 来 |
[50:12] | – See you at the weekend. – You could… | -周末见 -你可以 |
[50:14] | just come back and have some dinner, just us four. | 就回来吃个晚餐 就我们四个 |
[50:16] | – Very quiet. – No, I think I’ll crash out. | -没有外人 -不了 我得去睡会儿 |
[50:18] | ‘Cause it’s been a long day. | 今天太累了 |
[50:21] | Well, if you change your mind… | 如果你改变主意了 |
[50:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[50:27] | In fact, you should change your mind. | 事实上 你应该改变主意 |
[50:30] | That’s what it’s for. | 主意就是用来改变的 |
[50:57] | “And now I keep thinking I’m a moth!” | “现在我一直认为我是一只飞蛾” |
[50:59] | “Very interesting,” Says the psychiatrist. | “很有意思” 心理医生说 |
[51:02] | “What made you come here today?” | “你今天为什么会来” |
[51:04] | “Well,” He says, “I saw the light in the window.” | 他回答 “我看到了窗口中的灯” |
[51:08] | Very good. | 非常好 |
[51:09] | Do you specialize in these jobs | 你从事这种工作 |
[51:11] | because of your sunny disposition? | 是不是因为你个性开朗 |
[51:13] | You say that, but last year, for four months, | 你虽然这么说 但我去年有四个月 |
[51:17] | I literally couldn’t get out of bed. | 都下不了床 |
[51:20] | Couldn’t see the point. | 不知道有何意义 |
[51:25] | Oh, well, I’m… sorry to hear that. | 我…很遗憾 |
[51:40] | Believe me, Mr. Melrose, in a month’s time | 相信我 梅尔罗斯先生 一个月后 |
[51:43] | you’ll look back and think, | 你回想当初就会觉得 |
[51:44] | “What was all the fuss about? What was I thinking?” | “有什么大不了的 我当时在想什么” |
[51:47] | That’s what happened to me, anyway. | 反正我就是这样 |
[51:50] | Is this it, then? | 就是这里吗 |
[51:51] | 如果你想做些疯狂的事 就来伦敦达拉斯街找我 | |
[51:53] | Very nice. They’ll be pleased to get their dad back. | 很好 爸爸回来他们会很开心的 |
[51:57] | – Who? – The kids. | -谁 -孩子们 |
[52:01] | Good luck with it, mate. | 祝你好运 |
[52:16] | Actually, I know this might sound a bit crazy – | 事实上 我知道这听起来有点疯狂 |
[52:19] | for want of a better word – but could you take me back? | 但你能带我回去吗 |
[52:23] | To the hospital? | 回医院吗 |
[52:25] | I don’t think I’m quite ready. | 我觉得我还没准备好 |
[52:30] | Fuckin’ hell…you people. | 妈的 你们这些人 |
[52:37] | Fear knocked on the door. | 恐惧在敲门 |
[52:41] | Courage opened the door. | 勇气打开门 |
[52:46] | And there was nobody there! | 门外根本没人 |
[52:53] | Please, carry on. | 请继续 |
[53:15] | Bravo. | 真棒 |
[53:32] | Come on, come on. | 快点 快点 |
[53:37] | – Hello? – Patrick? | -喂 -帕特里克吗 |
[53:39] | Hello? Patrick, is that you? | 喂 是帕特里克吗 |
[53:40] | – Yes. – Annette here. | -是的 -我是安妮特 |
[53:43] | I’m afraid I’ve rather bad news. | 恐怕有个噩耗要告诉你 |
[53:44] | Nicholas didn’t make it. | 尼古拉斯没挺过来 |
[53:46] | He stopped breathing in the ambulance. | 他在救护车上就停止了呼吸 |
[53:49] | Oh, Patrick, are you crying? | 帕特里克 你在哭吗 |
[53:51] | No, no, I’m just out of breath. | 没有 我只是喘不过气 |
[53:52] | Though, of course, I’m also very sad. | 不过我当然感到很悲伤 |
[53:55] | Amazing man, completely unique. | 他是个了不起的人 独一无二 |
[53:58] | Let’s hope so. The idea of a whole village | 但愿如此 如果一个村子里 |
[54:00] | full of Nicholas Pratts is rather terrifying. | 到处都是尼古拉斯·普拉特 还真令人害怕 |
[54:07] | Patrick? | 帕特里克 |
[54:08] | I’m sorry, it’s only just occurred to me. | 抱歉 我刚刚才想到 |
[54:10] | He was the… the last one. | 他是…最后一个 |
[54:13] | Last of my parents’ circle. | 我父母社交圈里最后一个人 |
[54:17] | They’re all gone now. | 他们都去世了 |
[54:19] | Now you’re making me cry. | 现在你倒把我弄哭了 |
[54:20] | Oh, really, there’s no need. | 真的没必要哭 |
[54:21] | 埃莉诺·梅尔罗斯的葬礼 2005年4月9日星期六中午12点 | |
[54:22] | Thank you for what you said at the funeral too. | 还要感谢你在葬礼上说的话 |
[54:24] | It was helpful to have another point of view. | 提供了另一种观点 很有帮助 |
[54:26] | She might not have been the perfect mother. | 她也许不是完美的母亲 |
[54:28] | That must anger you. | 那一定让你很愤怒 |
[54:29] | But sometimes those who deserve the most blame | 但有时候 那些最应受到指责的人 |
[54:32] | also deserve the most compassion. | 往往也最值得同情 |
[54:35] | Goodbye, Patrick. | 再见 帕特里克 |
[54:59] | Patrick? | 帕特里克 |
[55:16] | Patrick, where are you? | 帕特里克 你在哪 |
[55:37] | Helene. | 海伦 |
[55:50] | Hello? | 喂 |
[55:52] | hello, it’s Patrick here. | 你好 我是帕特里克 |
[55:55] | Hello. | 你好 |
[55:56] | I’ve decided I’m bored of ghosts. | 我决定我受够鬼魂了 |
[55:59] | I want to see people instead. | 现在我想看见人 |
[56:02] | I see. Okay… | 我明白了 好的 |
[56:06] | Well, is it too late to change my mind? | 现在改变主意太迟了吗 |
[56:09] | Not at all. | 当然不会 |
[56:11] | After all… that’s what it’s for. | 毕竟 主意就是用来改变的 |
[56:16] | The boys will be delighted to see you. | 孩子们见到你会很高兴的 |
[56:45] | I’m going to the bathroom. | 我要去洗手间 |
[56:51] | Well, don’t be long. | 别太久 |
[57:09] | Patrick? | 帕特里克 |
[57:15] | Patrick, where are you? | 帕特里克 你在哪 |
[57:20] | Patrick! | 帕特里克 |
[57:40] | Come and sit here. | 过来坐在这 |
[57:44] | No. | 不要 |
[57:52] | – Beg pardon? – No. | -你说什么 -不要 |
[57:55] | I won’t do what you say anymore. | 我不会再照你说的做 |
[57:59] | Patrick. Don’t talk like that to your dear old dad. | 帕特里克 不许对你亲爱的老爸这么说话 |
[58:04] | It’s wrong. You’re wrong! | 这是错的 你错了 |
[58:07] | Nobody should do that to anybody else. | 谁都不应该这样对待他人 |
[58:37] | Right. | 对 |
[58:46] | Yeah. | 没错 |