时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Seven, six, five, four, | 七 六 五 四 |
[00:06] | 新年夜 二十一个月前 | |
[00:10] | three, two, one. | 三 二 一 |
[00:13] | – Happy New Year! – Hey, bartender lady! | – 新年快乐 – 喂 服务员 |
[00:21] | I know it’s New Year’s Eve and all, | 我知道今天是跨年夜 |
[00:22] | but don’t you think maybe you’ve had enough? | 但你不觉得你喝得够多了吗 |
[00:25] | How about some food? | 吃点东西怎么样 |
[00:27] | Fish and chips? Tater Tots? | 炸鱼薯条 炸土豆丸 |
[00:29] | Something with some absorption? | 或者来点解酒的东西 |
[00:37] | Give me a minute. | 请稍等 |
[00:43] | I think we need to cut this guy off. | 我觉得我们不能再给他酒了 |
[00:45] | No, don’t cut him off. Offer him some food. | 不 别不给他的酒 给他上些吃的 |
[00:48] | – Did that. – Come on. | – 试过了 – 拜托 |
[00:51] | It’s a holiday crowd. I don’t want any trouble. | 大伙在庆祝节日 我不想找麻烦 |
[00:53] | I don’t want to start anything. | 我不想惹是生非 |
[00:54] | Give him another and maybe he’ll pass out. | 再给他一杯 他说不准会醉晕过去 |
[00:58] | Maybe he’ll leave. | 可能会走人了 |
[01:01] | So, let me be the first. | 让我送上第一声祝福吧 |
[01:05] | Happy New Year. | 新年快乐 |
[01:08] | If you say so. | 你开心就好 |
[01:11] | So, you have any big plans? | 你有什么大计划吗 |
[01:13] | You make any resolutions? | 未来一年有什么决心吗 |
[01:15] | Nope. I’m done with the future. | 没有 我的未来已经结束了 |
[01:54] | That guy, the one I wanted to cut off, he just left. | 那个男的 我不想再给酒的那个 刚刚走了 |
[01:59] | Problem solved. | 问题解决了 |
[02:00] | No. He’s getting in a car. | 不 他上了一辆车 |
[02:03] | – His own car. – Where are you going? | – 他自己的车 – 你要去哪 |
[02:06] | He’s driving and he’s blind drunk. I… I… to follow him. | 他喝得烂醉还开着车 我… 我要跟着他 |
[02:08] | If I can get a cab. | 要是能打到车的话 |
[02:10] | What are you talking about? You can’t leave. | 你在说什么 你不能走 |
[02:12] | – Hey, taxi! – It’s New Year’s Eve! | – 喂 出租车 – 今天可是新年夜 |
[02:16] | Yes, I… I want to report what looks like an impaired driver. | 我想报告一名疑似丧失驾驶能力的司机 |
[02:21] | His license plate? Sure. | 他的牌照号码吗 好的 |
[02:24] | It’s CX… oh, wait a second, he’s turning. | 号码是CX 等等 他在转弯 |
[02:28] | Uh… slow down? | 请开慢点 |
[02:32] | Looks like he’s turning into a driveway. | 他好像开进住宅车道了 |
[02:38] | Looks like he’s done for the night. | 他好像打算要休息了 |
[02:41] | Sorry to have bothered you. | 不好意思 打扰了 |
[02:58] | Can you take me back to where you got me? | 可以送我回上车的地方吗 |
[03:15] | No, no. | 别 不要 |
[03:56] | Oh, Bull. | 布尔 |
[03:59] | It’s unanimous. | 全体一致否定 都是红色 |
[04:01] | Not yet it isn’t. | 并不是 还没完呢 |
[04:03] | All I need is one juror. | 我只需要一名陪审员 |
[04:04] | One green juror. | 只要一名陪审员表示认可 |
[04:07] | A great closing argument could turn this whole thing around. | 好的结辩陈词能够逆转局势 |
[04:10] | We’re ready to hear closing arguments. | 接下来听取结辩陈词 |
[04:17] | Oh, man, talk about pressure. I would not want to be that guy. | 论心理压力 我可不想在他那个位置 |
[04:24] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury… | 陪审团的各位女士们先生们 |
[04:28] | I mean, what is there to say? | 我们难道还有什么可说的吗 |
[04:34] | Thank you for your attention. | 感谢各位倾听 |
[04:41] | I… I don’t know if this is just an optical illusion, | 我不知道这是不是幻觉 |
[04:43] | but I’d almost swear all the jurors just got redder. | 但我差不多敢肯定他们全都更红了 |
[04:47] | I miss Benny. | 好想本尼 |
[04:52] | All right, it’ll be right out. | 好的 很快就好 |
[04:54] | Danny. | 丹尼 |
[04:55] | Thanks for coming. Thanks for doing this. | 谢谢你能来 谢谢为我这么做 |
[04:59] | You were right. | 你是对的 |
[05:00] | It’s all in there. He’s a repeat offender. | 记录都在里面 他是老手了 |
[05:02] | This guy’s as slippery as a fish covered in Vaseline. | 这家伙狡猾得就像涂着凡士林的鱼 |
[05:06] | He’s your client, isn’t he? | 他是你的客户 对吧 |
[05:11] | The slippery deserve as vigorous a defense | 再狡滑的客户也值得我们 |
[05:13] | as those of us with traction. | 这样的人为其提供有力辩护 |
[05:14] | Oh, Benny. | 本尼 |
[05:16] | What did we say? 300 bucks? | 我们之前说的多少 三百块吗 |
[05:18] | I don’t want your money. | 我不要你的钱 |
[05:20] | Benny, why don’t you give Bull a call? | 本尼 你为什么不给布尔打个电话 |
[05:22] | Eh, what are you talking about? We’re good. | 你在说什么 我们关系很好啊 |
[05:25] | Really? The two of you have spoken? | 真的吗 最近你俩说过话吗 |
[05:29] | Benny, you’re a great lawyer. | 本尼 你是位出色的律师 |
[05:31] | But look at the people you’re representing. | 可看看你的辩护对象 |
[05:33] | Yeah, well, I’ve never been good | 好吧 在承接客户这方面 |
[05:35] | at the getting the clients part. | 我一直做得不好 |
[05:37] | Well, you know, Bull isn’t as good | 那布尔没有你 |
[05:38] | at the winning cases part without you. | 在赢得案子这方面 做得也不好 |
[05:41] | He’ll be fine. We’ll be fine. | 他会没事的 我们都会的 |
[05:43] | Thanks for this. | 谢谢你的资料 |
[05:46] | Either of you a father? | 你们俩有孩子吗 |
[05:48] | Well, my wife… | 我妻子… |
[05:49] | my ex-wife… it’s a long story… | 我的分居妻子… 说来话长… |
[05:51] | we’re expecting in four months. | 我们四个月后就要迎接分娩 |
[05:53] | I have a 19-year-old | 我有个十九岁的女儿 |
[05:54] | who’s finishing her second year of college. | 就要读完大二了 |
[05:57] | My daughter’s 22. | 我女儿今年二十二岁 |
[06:00] | Worked as a bartender to put herself through school. | 之前在酒吧做服务员来挣学费 |
[06:04] | You remember hearing about the Crosley Street killings | 还记得去年发生在布鲁克林区 |
[06:06] | in Brooklyn last year? | 克罗斯里街的那起凶杀案吗 |
[06:08] | Yeah. | 记得 |
[06:09] | Guy walks into his ex-wife’s house | 有个男的在新年夜揣着一把马格南357 |
[06:12] | on New Year’s Eve with a .357 Magnum. | 走进了分居妻子的住所 |
[06:14] | Massacres her and her four guests. | 残杀了分居妻子还有她家里的四个客人 |
[06:16] | Shoots them all at point-blank range. | 全是近身射杀 |
[06:18] | Then the police came and shot and killed the shooter. | 之后警方赶到 开枪杀死了枪手 |
[06:21] | His name was Eugene Hobbs. | 他的名字是尤金·霍布斯 |
[06:24] | My daughter Patricia served Mr. Hobbs six shots of tequila | 我女儿帕翠夏在枪击前的两小时 |
[06:28] | in the two hours preceding the shooting. | 给霍布斯上过六杯龙舌兰酒 |
[06:32] | Yesterday, not quite two years after the crime was committed, | 昨天 距离他犯案不满两年 |
[06:35] | Patricia was arrested for involuntary manslaughter | 帕翠夏因过失杀人罪 |
[06:38] | in the deaths of those five people. | 导致那五人死亡而被逮捕 |
[06:41] | I will pay anything if you can successfully defend her. | 如果你们能帮她脱罪 什么代价我都愿意 |
[06:44] | So, | 那么 |
[06:46] | who are you gonna get? | 你要找谁 |
[06:47] | City’s filled with great lawyers. | 城里到处是出色的律师 |
[06:49] | I’ll find one. | 我肯定能找到一个 |
[06:51] | You know it’s not that simple. | 要知道事情没那么简单 |
[06:54] | It’s not just about being great. | 辩护律师不只要出色 |
[06:56] | It’s about finding someone who knows when to listen to you | 你得找一个知道何时该听你的意见的 |
[07:01] | and, with all due respect, when to ignore you. | 以及 恕我直言 知道什么时候忽略你的 |
[07:04] | And that does not happen overnight. | 这可不是短时间内能做到的事 |
[07:07] | And what do you suggest I do, Mr. Palmer? | 那你的建议是什么呢 帕默先生 |
[07:10] | I suggest that you go to Benny and you beg him to come back. | 我建议你去找本尼 求他回来 |
[07:16] | I need your brother. | 我需要你哥哥 |
[07:19] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了 |
[07:21] | Am I not enough for you? | 我不能满足你吗 |
[07:25] | Have you tried the phone? | 你试着用下电话呢 |
[07:27] | Yep. He won’t return my calls. | 打了 他不给我回电 |
[07:30] | Write him an e-mail. | 给他发封邮件 |
[07:32] | Invite him to dinner. | 邀请他来吃晚饭 |
[07:34] | I did that. He didn’t respond. | 我发过了 他没有回应 |
[07:39] | Well, just talk to the court clerk and find out | 那你就去找法院的书记员聊聊 |
[07:41] | when he’s going to trial and plant yourself there. | 看看什么时候庭审 你再插进去 |
[07:44] | And beg him. | 然后求他 |
[07:47] | You’re the second person to use that word today. | 你是今天第二个让我求他的人 |
[07:50] | I am not gonna beg him. | 我绝对不会去求他的 |
[07:51] | He assaulted me in front of four people. | 他当着四个人的面羞辱我 |
[07:53] | I’m not gonna beg him. | 我才不会去求他 |
[07:57] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury… | 陪审团的各位女士们先生们 |
[08:01] | …people do not get out of bed in the morning | 人们在早上起床时 |
[08:05] | and think to themselves, “Maybe I’ll take a fall today. | 并不会想着 “今天我要摔一跤 |
[08:10] | Maybe I’ll slip on the subway stairs, | 也许我会在地铁楼梯上滑到 |
[08:14] | Wrench my back, sprain my neck, break a rib, | 摔坏背 摔坏脖子 肋骨也折了 |
[08:18] | And spend a month in the hospital in extraordinary pain | 最后在医院躺上一个月 承受着身体的剧痛 |
[08:22] | so that I can sue the city of New York for a million dollars.” | 这样我就能起诉纽约城 赚他个一百万美元” |
[08:26] | People do not do that. | 人们不会那样做 |
[08:28] | People do, however, sometimes lose their balance. | 只有少数时刻 在人们没站稳的时刻 他们会摔一跤 |
[08:33] | Particularly on a rainy day, when the steps are wet | 尤其是在下雨天 楼梯湿滑的时候 |
[08:37] | and the city does nothing to control the number of people | 并且政府一点也不去控制 |
[08:41] | at a given subway station | 地铁站的人流大小 |
[08:42] | and folks are pushing and shoving and… | 而且人们推推搡搡的… |
[08:47] | Now the defense has not allowed a single minute to go by | 在这次辩护中 我必须时常提醒你们 |
[08:53] | without reminding you that my client | 我的客户在之前 |
[08:55] | has fallen several times before. | 已经摔过很多次了 |
[08:58] | We don’t deny that. | 我们不否认这一点 |
[09:00] | But as the expert witness pointed out, | 但正如专家证人指出 |
[09:02] | it is not unusual for a man of Mr. Condron’s | 对于康顿先生这样年龄和体型的人来说 |
[09:05] | size and age to have some challenges | 他们在身体平衡和行动能力上遇挫 |
[09:08] | with regard to equilibrium and mobility. | 并不是一件不寻常的事 |
[09:11] | But we are not here to adjudicate | 但我们今天在这里 |
[09:12] | Mr. Condron’s physical limitations. | 不是来裁判康顿先生的身体局限的 |
[09:14] | We are here to decide whether the city bears | 我们来这 是来决定 |
[09:17] | any responsibility in what happened. | 政府对这件事是否应该负责的 |
[09:20] | And I think the answer is pretty doggone clear. | 且我认为答案已经很清楚了 |
[09:24] | Mr. Colón. | 科隆先生 |
[09:26] | Mr. Colón. | 科隆先生 |
[09:28] | I just want to say thank you. | 我想对你说声谢谢 |
[09:30] | I think you did a hell of a job in there. | 你刚刚在法庭上太牛逼了 |
[09:32] | Ah. Sorry I wasn’t able to do better by you. | 很抱歉我没能做的更好 |
[09:34] | Hey, come on. | 别这么说 |
[09:36] | The city’s paying for my hospital bills, | 政府要为我的医疗费 |
[09:38] | my lawyer bills. | 律师费买单 |
[09:40] | There’s no crime in breaking even, right? | 分点钱也不犯法 是吧 |
[09:42] | Who knows? | 谁也不知道 |
[09:46] | Maybe we’ll do this again sometime, huh? | 或许什么时候我们可以再来一次 |
[09:50] | God, I hope not. | 天 还是算了吧 |
[09:52] | Didn’t I see that guy on the cover of Slip and Sue magazine? | 刚刚那不是那个碰瓷专家吗 |
[09:58] | What are you doing? | 你这是在搞什么呢 |
[10:00] | Earning a living. What are you doing? | 挣钱 你在干什么 |
[10:01] | Seeing what it would take to get you back. | 看看有什么能让你回心转意的 |
[10:06] | Truthfully, | 说实话 |
[10:08] | I don’t think you’re capable of doing what it would take. | 我不认为你能让我回心转意 |
[10:12] | I’ll do anything. | 我什么都愿意做 |
[10:14] | No. You’re not hearing me. | 不 你没听我说话吗 |
[10:16] | I didn’t say you wouldn’t want to. | 我不是说你不想去做 |
[10:18] | I said I didn’t think you could. | 我是说 我认为你没那个能力 |
[10:22] | Name it. | 说吧 |
[10:24] | Respect me. Show me some respect. | 尊重我 |
[10:28] | Done. | 没问题 |
[10:30] | You know, I… if you really understood what respect was, | 你知道吗 如果你真的知道怎么尊重别人的话 |
[10:32] | you wouldn’t have answered that so quickly. | 你就不会这么快回答我 |
[10:34] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么呢 |
[10:36] | I’ve always respected you, Benny. | 本尼 我一直很尊重你 |
[10:38] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[10:40] | Accepting cases without consulting me? | 所以你就不问我的意思随便接案子吗 |
[10:43] | It’s my company, Benny. | 本尼 公司是我的 |
[10:44] | All these years in court together, | 我们一起上了这么多次法庭了 |
[10:46] | have you ever once asked my opinion? | 你有一次问过我的想法吗 |
[10:47] | My point of view? | 你有问过我的意见吗 |
[10:49] | This is ridiculous. | 这真是无稽之谈 |
[10:50] | Ah, unless we forget what you did to my sister | 你还在我爸爸的葬礼上 |
[10:54] | at my father’s funeral. | 对我姐姐行之不轨 |
[10:57] | We’re having a baby. | 我们已经有孩子了 |
[10:59] | We’re very happy, | 我们很幸福 |
[11:01] | and the only thing we’re missing is you. | 我们唯一缺的 就是你了 |
[11:03] | Oh, don’t you worry, gonna be there for the baby | 这你就别担心了 我会为来看宝宝的 |
[11:07] | and I’m always there for my sister. | 而且 我一直在我姐姐身后 |
[11:10] | I know you’re hurt. | 我知道你很受伤 |
[11:12] | I know you’re looking for someone to blame, | 我知道你想找个人来责怪 |
[11:14] | someone to unload the hurt on, | 找个人来帮你把伤痛卸下 |
[11:17] | but sometimes things just happen. | 但有时候事情发生了 |
[11:20] | They just do. | 就是发生了 |
[11:21] | Words of wisdom coming from a man who fornicates at funerals. | 在婚礼上乱搞的人的智慧名言呢 |
[11:25] | Come on. You know and I know why you’re here. You need me. | 得了吧 你我都知道你为何来这了 你需要我 |
[11:29] | Yes. I do. | 没错 我是需要你 |
[11:32] | Well, you can start with an apology. | 那先道个歉吧 |
[11:35] | I am sorry. | 对 不 起 |
[11:38] | Unprompted. | 一点也不诚恳 |
[11:39] | Like you actually meant it. | 你说的时候要发自内心的说出来 |
[11:41] | Well, let’s not forget you punched me. | 那好 那你揍我的那次呢 |
[11:44] | Where’s my apology? | 你也没和我道歉 |
[11:46] | You should check the weather in hell, my friend. | 你想得美 |
[11:49] | Where are you going? | 你去哪 |
[11:51] | Oh, yeah, the trial’s over. | 对哦 庭审已经结束了 |
[11:54] | You gonna hit the streets, | 你得上街 |
[11:56] | see if you can find a new ambulance to chase? | 找辆新救护车碰瓷了 |
[11:59] | Did you just give me the finger? | 你刚刚是不是对我竖中指了 |
[12:10] | So I went to the owner. | 所以我去找了店主 |
[12:11] | It just seemed really clear to me | 我认为很显然 |
[12:13] | that we needed to cut the guy off. | 我们不应该再让他喝了 |
[12:14] | But not because you thought he might do harm to someone? | 所以 不是因为你怕他伤害别人 |
[12:17] | No, no. Uh, I had no way of knowing that. | 不 我怎么能知道他会伤害别人呢 |
[12:20] | Just because he seemed so out of it. | 我只是觉得他看起来不大对 |
[12:23] | But the owner disagreed? | 但是店主不同意吗 |
[12:26] | He was worried the guy would make a scene. | 他担心那人会惹事 |
[12:28] | The place was packed. He didn’t want an incident. | 店里全是人 他不想出什么事故 |
[12:31] | So you gave him another drink? | 所以你又给了他一杯酒吗 |
[12:34] | I didn’t feel I had a choice. | 我没有其它选择 |
[12:36] | I needed my job. | 我需要这份工作 |
[12:38] | Pretty good witness, wouldn’t you say? | 这是个很好的证人 你觉得呢 |
[12:40] | I mean, she was so concerned for the man’s safety, | 她如此担心这个男人的安全 |
[12:42] | she followed him home. | 甚至跟着他回家了 |
[12:44] | By the way, we are still on the hunt | 对了 我们还在找 |
[12:47] | for the cabbie who drove her. | 那个载她的的哥 |
[12:48] | I think he could be a, an important witness. | 我认为他可能会是个重要人证 |
[12:50] | Whatever you say, but I don’t want to go to trial. | 不管你说什么 反正我是不想再去庭审了 |
[12:54] | I don’t follow. | 我不懂 为什么 |
[12:55] | Well, let’s look at the endgame here. | 我们来看看现在的情况 |
[12:59] | The man who killed all those people, | 那个杀了很多人的男人 |
[13:00] | he was shot dead by the police. | 被警方当场击毙了 |
[13:02] | The bar itself has gone out of business, | 酒吧现在歇业了 |
[13:04] | and the owner’s nowhere to be found. | 店主也失踪了 |
[13:06] | And the victim’s family are looking | 另外受害者的家属 |
[13:07] | for their pound of flesh, | 还在寻找凶手 |
[13:08] | and the only flesh they can find is your client, | 而他们唯一能找到的就是你的客户 |
[13:11] | who, by the way, happens to be the daughter | 而她正好就是一个 |
[13:14] | of a very wealthy man. | 富二代 |
[13:15] | You lost me. | 我不懂 |
[13:16] | What does this have to do with us not going to trial? | 这些跟我们上不上法庭有什么关系 |
[13:19] | Let me finish. Managing situations like this, | 听我说完 处理这样的情况 |
[13:20] | it’s what I do for a living. | 是我最擅长的 |
[13:21] | Tomorrow morning I’m gonna go down to the D.A., | 明早我会去找地方检察官 |
[13:24] | see if I can get this pled down to a misdemeanor. | 看看能不能降到轻罪 |
[13:26] | She would still have a record, | 但她还是会被记录在案 |
[13:29] | and given the hysteria in the media, | 而且鉴于媒体的不依不挠 |
[13:31] | she would almost certainly do jail time. | 她肯定还是会坐牢 |
[13:34] | Yeah, but not 20 years. | 但不会坐二十年啊 |
[13:36] | And we avoid a criminal trial altogether | 并且能避免刑事审判 |
[13:38] | and get right to the main event. | 转而开干正事 |
[13:39] | Which is? | 什么正事 |
[13:41] | The civil trial. | 民事审判 |
[13:43] | I mean, bottom line, | 而且 最重要的是 |
[13:45] | they may not know it yet, | 他们或许还没意识到 |
[13:46] | but what all these victims’ families are really looking for | 但是这些受害者家属真正想要的 |
[13:49] | is settlement money from your client. | 是你的委托人的赔偿金 |
[13:51] | And then, | 然后 |
[13:52] | once everybody’s got their “Feel better” Money, | 一旦大家都拿到了这个精神损失费 |
[13:55] | it’ll be easy to get our girl early release. | 想早点把这个姑娘放出来就不是什么难事了 |
[13:57] | On the other hand, we could go to court, | 相反的 我们可以对簿公堂 |
[13:59] | make our case, convince a jury, | 摆事实讲道理 说服陪审团 |
[14:01] | and then there would be no jail time, | 根本就不会有牢狱之灾 |
[14:04] | there would be no civil trial, there would be no settlements, | 没有民事审判 也不需要和解 |
[14:06] | and, I don’t know, that kind of makes sense to me | 而且莫名其妙地 我觉得这很有道理 |
[14:09] | because she didn’t do anything. | 因为她什么都没做 |
[14:11] | You’re not hearing me, Dr. Bull. I’m not going to trial. | 你没明白我的意思 布尔博士 我不想上法庭 |
[14:14] | Mr. Perry, keep in mind, I hired you. | 佩里先生 记住了 是我雇的你 |
[14:18] | Dr. Bull, you came to me | 布尔博士 你找我来 |
[14:19] | because you needed somebody to ride shotgun | 是因为你需要我 |
[14:21] | with you on this thing. | 为你身先士卒 |
[14:22] | Now, you don’t come to a firm like mine | 找我这样的事务所 |
[14:24] | because you want to go to trial. | 不是要上法庭的 |
[14:26] | You come to a firm like mine to avoid trial. | 找我是来全力避免法庭的 |
[14:29] | Trials are crapshoots. | 是审判就会有风险 |
[14:31] | Juries are crapshoots. Deals and pleas are not. | 陪审团就是不确定因素 认罪交易就不一样 |
[14:36] | Now, I know court’s where you live | 我知道你习惯的法庭 |
[14:39] | and juries are what made you who you are, | 和陪审团造就了现在的你 |
[14:42] | so I understand you’d have an exaggerated | 所以我能理解你在庭上有一种 |
[14:43] | sense of comfort there, but… | 夸张的舒适感 但是… |
[14:46] | We’re going to trial. | 我们会上法庭 |
[14:51] | I haven’t been inside a courtroom in seven years, | 我有七年没上过法庭了 |
[14:53] | and I’m damn proud of it. | 这一点我颇为自豪 |
[14:55] | It’s a slow and irritating process | 审判是一个漫长而烦人的过程 |
[14:57] | and a terrible use of people’s time. | 并且是对大家时间的践踏 |
[15:00] | My time, anyway. | 准确说是我的时间 |
[15:04] | I’m guessing your regular guy is in… in the hospital? | 我猜你惯用的人手是… 住院了吗 |
[15:07] | On vacation? Otherwise indisposed? | 去度假了 还是怎么不合适了 |
[15:09] | Something like that. | 差不多吧 |
[15:11] | Okay, I’m gonna do you a favor. | 好吧 我就帮你一把 |
[15:12] | I know you’re not a lawyer, so I’m gonna ask the court | 我知道你不是律师 我会以你的名义 |
[15:15] | for a one-month continuance on your behalf. | 请求法庭延期一个月 |
[15:17] | You know, take the month, wait for your guy. | 等你的人手回来吧 |
[15:21] | Month will get it done, right? | 一个月总够了吧 |
[15:23] | No. | 别 |
[15:25] | It’s not your problem. I appreciate the offer. | 这不该由你来做 谢谢你的提议 |
[15:28] | I’ll be fine. | 我能搞定 |
[15:37] | Steve. Steven! | 史蒂芬 |
[15:41] | Hey. | 等等 |
[15:43] | You know what? | 这么说吧 |
[15:45] | I think you’re right. | 我觉得你是对的 |
[15:47] | Let’s do everything we can to avoid a trial. | 尽我们所能去庭外和解吧 |
[15:50] | Wait, so… | 等一下 所以说… |
[15:52] | so now you’re saying you, you want to do this thing? | 你是同意这么做了吗 |
[15:57] | I get a good feeling from you, | 你给我的感觉不错 |
[15:59] | and I think we’d work well together. | 我觉得我们会合作愉快的 |
[16:03] | Huh. | 是嘛 |
[16:04] | Yeah, me, too. | 我也一样 |
[16:05] | – Thanks for lunch. – Yeah. | – 谢谢你的午饭 – 不客气 |
[16:17] | Mr. Valerian, good afternoon. | 瓦雷先生 下午好 |
[16:19] | – You here by yourself? – Indeed I am. | – 你一个人来的吗 – 是的 |
[16:21] | No Marissa, | 梅丽莎没来 |
[16:23] | not this time. I wanted a word with you privately. | 这次我想和你单独谈谈 |
[16:27] | Okay. How can I help you? | 好的 请说 |
[16:29] | I know… you know my wife had a change of heart | 我知道… 你已经知道我妻子 |
[16:33] | with regards to our plans for starting a family, | 现在又不太想生孩子了 |
[16:36] | but I wanted to talk with you, kind of off the record, | 但是我还是想和你非正式地 |
[16:40] | about a couple of things. First, | 谈一谈 首先 |
[16:43] | I would hope you haven’t disposed of her eggs just yet. | 希望你还没有把她的卵子丢掉 |
[16:46] | No, I don’t believe so, not quite yet. | 没有 目前还没 |
[16:49] | Well, what I was wondering was, | 我的想法是 |
[16:50] | is there a way I could pay you to keep them in storage | 我能不能付钱让你们将其保存起来 |
[16:54] | without my wife knowing about it? | 但不要告诉我妻子 |
[16:58] | Why don’t you tell me the second thing? | 你先告诉我第二件事呢 |
[17:03] | Surprise, surprise. I want to freeze my sperm. | 惊喜来了 我想把我的精子也存起来 |
[17:07] | I just… | 我只是… |
[17:08] | I want to make sure we have everything we need | 我只是想确保要是她再改变主意 |
[17:11] | in case she changes her mind again. | 我们能有所准备 |
[17:14] | Mr. Valerian, | 瓦雷先生 |
[17:17] | now I need to talk to you “off the record.” | 该我和你”非正式地”谈谈了 |
[17:21] | So we’ll save the taxpayers money and the courts time, | 我们还是省下纳税人的钱以及法院的时间吧 |
[17:24] | and our client’ll come in, | 我们的委托人会进来 |
[17:25] | plead guilty to a misdemeanor, and we’ll just | 承认轻罪 然后我们 |
[17:28] | shuffle this off to the civil courts where it belongs. | 理所应当地转向民事审判 |
[17:31] | Misdemeanor? | 轻罪 |
[17:32] | Yeah, I was thinking, uh, reckless endangerment, | 是的 我想到的是鲁莽危害行为 |
[17:34] | but we’re totally open to anything | 但是我们完全乐于接受 |
[17:35] | the district attorney’s office wants to suggest. | 地方检察官的想法 |
[17:37] | And how do you feel about this, Dr. Bull? | 你怎么想的 布尔博士 |
[17:41] | Uh, not sure my feelings really matter. | 我的想法不重要 |
[17:45] | Mr. Perry is the lead attorney on this case. | 佩里先生是这起案件的首席律师 |
[17:47] | So you think she’s guilty? | 所以你也认为她有罪咯 |
[17:49] | Because this feels like the kind of strategy | 因为这样的策略看起来 |
[17:51] | one would employ for a guilty client. | 就属于委托人有罪的情况 |
[17:57] | In my opinion, no, I don’t think she’s guilty. | 我当然不认为她有罪 |
[17:59] | She served the man some drinks, she didn’t | 她只是提供了几杯酒 |
[18:02] | buy the bullets, she didn’t load the gun. | 子弹不是她买的 枪不是她上膛的 |
[18:04] | Then what are you doing here? | 那你来的目的是什么 |
[18:06] | Uh, he’s here because I’m here. | 他来是因为我来了 |
[18:08] | Because I genuinely believe | 因为我真心觉得 |
[18:10] | this is the most prudent course of action. | 这是最为明智的选择 |
[18:13] | The girl doesn’t deny she served the man, | 那姑娘没有否认为凶手提供酒 |
[18:14] | so let’s cut to the chase. | 长话短说吧 |
[18:16] | We all know that this is gonna end up | 我们都知道这案子最终都会 |
[18:19] | in the insurance company’s lap. | 进入保险公司的循环中 |
[18:21] | It’s gonna be about money. I say let’s get to it. | 总归就是为了钱 那就直奔主题吧 |
[18:26] | Where is that lawyer you used to work with? | 那个一直和你合作的律师呢 |
[18:29] | I always sensed | 我一直觉得 |
[18:30] | that fellow had a conscience. | 他还有点良知 |
[18:32] | – Hey. – Let me lay my cards | – 怎么说话的 – 我就跟你 |
[18:34] | on the table. | 摊牌了吧 |
[18:35] | I have six dead bodies to answer for, | 我有六具尸体 |
[18:37] | four grieving families to answer to, | 四个悲切的家庭要交代 |
[18:39] | and I don’t think “Misdemeanor” | 我不认为从轻判决 |
[18:41] | is the answer they’re looking for. | 是他们想要的结果 |
[18:43] | And I don’t think money | 我也不认为他们想要的 |
[18:44] | is what’s on their minds. | 是金钱 |
[18:46] | Not yet. | 现在还不是 |
[18:48] | So I’m gonna see this thing through in a court of law. | 所以我还是要通过法庭解决此事 |
[18:52] | The charge is still manslaughter, gentlemen. | 先生们 罪名仍然是过失杀人罪 |
[18:57] | Thank you for dropping by. | 谢谢你们来这一趟 |
[19:05] | Huh. Well, who’d have guessed it? | 谁能想到呢 |
[19:08] | A.D.A. is a true believer, a holy roller. | 助理地监官居然是一个心怀信仰的人呢 |
[19:13] | Well, you win some, you lose some. | 有得必有失吧 |
[19:14] | I’ll tell you what, I’m gonna send | 这样吧 我会派我的一个同事 |
[19:16] | an associate of mine over to sit with you in court. | 跟你一起去法庭 |
[19:18] | Yeah, like I told you before, musty old wooden rooms | 我说过的 在发霉的老木屋里 |
[19:21] | and men and women in robes banging hammers on tables, | 看着男男女女穿着长袍 拿锤子敲桌子 |
[19:25] | it’s not my thing. | 我可不感兴趣 |
[19:26] | And mark my words, you’re just gonna end up in the same place, | 记着我的话 你绝对会回到这个地方 |
[19:29] | sitting around a big conference room table talking about money. | 坐在大会议桌旁讨价还价的 |
[19:32] | You’re fired. | 你被解雇了 |
[19:33] | Beg your pardon? | 抱歉 你说什么 |
[19:35] | You’re fired. | 你被解雇了 |
[19:49] | When are you coming home, Daddy? | 我的好老公 你什么时候回家呢 |
[19:51] | When I solve this problem. | 等我解决了这个事 |
[19:53] | Jason… | 杰森 |
[19:55] | why don’t you just let me call my brother? | 你就让我跟他说呗 |
[19:57] | He’ll understand. You need a continuance. | 他会理解的 你得要一个延期 |
[20:01] | Enough time to find another lawyer. | 需要足够的时间去找另一个律师 |
[20:02] | I’m sure he’d be willing to call the judge and get that for you. | 我敢肯定他会愿意帮你的 |
[20:05] | No, please don’t. | 不 别了 |
[20:08] | Well, then why don’t you call him? | 那你为什么不打给他呢 |
[20:11] | And say what? | 打过去能说什么呢 |
[20:13] | Hold on a sec. | 等一下 |
[20:15] | I have called every lawyer we have ever worked with. | 我已经找过和我们合作过的每一位律师了 |
[20:18] | It’s 20 after 9:00. Nobody’s picking up. | 已经九点过二十了 没人接电话 |
[20:21] | Hmm. I got to figure this out. | 怎么办呢 |
[20:24] | Okay. I’ll just find some other guy to rub my feet. | 好吧 我只好去找其他男人给我捏脚了 |
[20:28] | You do that. | 你敢 |
[20:31] | What are you gonna do? | 你要怎么做 |
[20:34] | I’m gonna show up in court tomorrow like a man, | 我要像个男人一样出席明天的庭审 |
[20:36] | and when the judge asks where my lawyer is, | 然后当法官问我的律师在哪里时 |
[20:38] | I’m gonna cry like a baby | 我会像个孩子那样大哭 |
[20:40] | and hope she and my client take pity on me. | 希望能以此博得她和我客户的同情 |
[20:46] | Now, out of my way. I got some feet to rub. | 现在 请让一下 我得回去捏脚了 |
[20:59] | Hello, you’ve reached Benjamin Colón. | 你好 这里是本杰明 科隆 |
[21:01] | Please leave a message. | 请留言 |
[21:05] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[21:08] | I’m so damn sorry, you have no idea. | 你不知道我有多抱歉 |
[21:20] | Hey, sorry I’m late. | 嘿 抱歉我来迟了 |
[21:21] | There was an accident on West Street. | 在西街那边发生了车祸 |
[21:23] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[21:25] | Uh, the thing is, | 事情是这样的 |
[21:27] | the attorneys and I last night had a… | 昨晚…我和律师们 |
[21:30] | a difference of opinion, and we, uh… | 有一点分歧 然后我们… |
[21:31] | Good morning, counsel. | 早上好 顾问们 |
[21:33] | Are we ready to proceed with voir dire? | 现在我们可以开始预先审查了吗 |
[21:35] | We certainly are, Your Honor. | 我们准备好了 法官大人 |
[21:37] | And counsel for the defense? | 被告顾问 |
[21:39] | We certainly are, Your Honor. | 我们准备好了 法官大人 |
[22:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[22:11] | For what? | 谢我什么 |
[22:13] | For getting through voir dire? | 来参加预审吗 |
[22:15] | You wrote the questions, I just asked them. | 问题都是你写的 我只是负责提问 |
[22:19] | How do you feel about the jury? | 你觉得陪审团怎么样 |
[22:23] | I think we did the best we could. | 我认为我们尽力了 |
[22:26] | All we can do is appeal to their sense of fair play. | 我们所能做的就是唤起他们的公平意识 |
[22:30] | I mean, we wouldn’t even be here if… | 如果那酒吧没被烧毁 |
[22:33] | that bar hadn’t burned down and the owner hadn’t fled town, | 店主没逃跑 我们都不会在这 |
[22:36] | if there were somebody else to go after. | 如果还有人可以去问责 |
[22:38] | If the police hadn’t shot the killer, | 如果警察没有朝罪犯开枪 |
[22:41] | not much to hang a defense on. | 那也就没有什么需要捍卫的了 |
[22:44] | So, I’ve lined up the cab driver. | 我已经安排好出租车司机了 |
[22:46] | He’s all set to talk about how Patricia | 他准备好描述帕翠夏是如何 |
[22:48] | followed her customer home and wouldn’t leave | 一路跟着她的客人 |
[22:50] | till he was safely in the house. | 直到他安全到家才离开的 |
[22:51] | Yeah, he’s scheduled to come in tomorrow | 对 他明天要和我一起出席 |
[22:52] | so he and I can go over his testimony. | 然后我们可以多练习下证词 |
[22:53] | – Excellent. – Thanks, Chunk. | – 非常好 – 谢谢你特朗科 |
[22:55] | And by going back and combing through the newspaper, | 话说回来 再结合报纸 |
[22:58] | television, and Web coverage of the shooting, | 电视和网络中对这次枪击案的宣传 |
[23:00] | I was able to track down witnesses from the bar | 我追查到酒吧里有人听到了 |
[23:02] | who overheard the conversation between Patricia and the owner. | 帕翠夏和酒吧主人的谈话 |
[23:05] | How she made it very clear | 她是如何明确表示 |
[23:07] | she didn’t want to serve any more drinks to Hobbs, | 她不愿意再给霍布斯买酒 |
[23:09] | but he pretty much ordered her to do it. | 但是他几乎是命令她这么做了 |
[23:11] | Well, there you go. Jurors have to respond to that. | 这很好 陪审员肯定会有所反应的 |
[23:14] | – We can only hope. – You know, | – 我们只能希望 – 你知道吗 |
[23:16] | I’ve actually been thinking about | 我在想 |
[23:17] | another way to come at this thing. | 达到目的的另一条途径 |
[23:21] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[23:22] | Well, respectfully… | 各位 无意冒犯… |
[23:26] | I’ve been thinking about it all day, | 我这一整天都在思考这个案子 |
[23:27] | and I have an idea for a narrative. | 我现在有一个主意 |
[23:31] | A thought on a way to present this case | 我们可以从法律的角度 |
[23:33] | from a legal standpoint. | 来展现这个案件 |
[23:36] | Oh… you do? | 哦 是吗 |
[23:40] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[23:42] | Why are you acting so surprised? | 你怎么如此惊讶呢 |
[23:45] | Am I acting surprised? | 我表现得很惊讶吗 |
[23:49] | I guess I am. Okay. | 好吧 我想我是有点 |
[23:50] | I am. It’s just normally you leave the… | 只是平常你一般把这部分… |
[23:53] | narrative strategy to me. | 留给我来做 |
[23:58] | Well, to be honest, a lot of the times, | 老实讲 很多时候 |
[24:00] | I have ideas of my own. | 我都有我自己的想法 |
[24:02] | I just don’t present ’em to you. | 我只是不告诉你而已 |
[24:04] | And why is that? | 为什么呢 |
[24:06] | I guess I sort of get the sense | 我感觉我的解决办法 |
[24:08] | like they might not be welcome. | 可能不太受某人欢迎 |
[24:10] | Well, respectfully back, | 那我要说 无意冒犯 |
[24:12] | that is ridiculous. | 你的这个想法很荒唐 |
[24:14] | – Really? – Yeah. Absolutely. | – 真的吗 – 当然了 |
[24:18] | What is your idea? What is your narrative? What’s your strategy? | 你有什么想法 你打算怎么说 |
[24:20] | Causation. | 因果关系 |
[24:22] | – Causation. – Causation. | – 因果关系 – 因果关系 |
[24:24] | Personally, I don’t like going into a trial | 个人而言 我不喜欢参加那种 |
[24:27] | where I have to count on the possibility | 指望着陪审员意识到 |
[24:29] | that the jurors might realize | 怪罪我们的客户 |
[24:31] | it’s not fair to blame our client. | 是不公平的审判 |
[24:33] | I’d prefer to prove | 我更愿意提供 |
[24:35] | that one thing had nothing to do with the other. | 一件事与另一件事无关的证据 |
[24:37] | That the killer drinking those drinks | 凶手喝了酒 |
[24:39] | did not cause him to bust into that house | 但这并不是他破门而入 |
[24:42] | and kill his estranged wife | 杀害他的分居妻子 |
[24:43] | and all those people, that there was… | 和所有那些人的诱因 |
[24:45] | no causation. | 这没有因果关系 |
[24:46] | And therefore, our client bears no responsibility. | 因此 我们的委托人无需担责 |
[24:49] | You think you can prove that? | 你觉得你能证明这点吗 |
[24:50] | Respectfully, I do. | 无意冒犯 我觉得我能 |
[24:52] | With the team’s help, of course. | 当然 是在团队协助的前提下 |
[24:56] | You just don’t understand juries. | 你根本不懂陪审团 |
[25:00] | Oh? | 是吗 |
[25:02] | I don’t understand juries, huh? | 我不懂陪审团吗 |
[25:04] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[25:06] | Spent my whole adult life in court, | 我在法庭上度过了半生 |
[25:08] | but that counts for nothing, | 但那都其实一文不值 |
[25:10] | says the jury whisperer. | 陪审团低声说道 |
[25:11] | Okay, I promise you every single person in that jury box | 我敢肯定 陪审团里的每个人 |
[25:14] | at some point in their lives has had a run-in | 在某个时候 一定都和酒鬼 |
[25:16] | with someone who drank too much, | 发生过冲突 |
[25:17] | and I guarantee you they felt threatened. | 而且他们肯定会觉得不爽 |
[25:19] | I don’t deny that, but did they blame the person | 我不否认 但他们会怪罪 |
[25:22] | who poured the drink or the person who drank it? | 倒酒的人还是喝酒的人呢 |
[25:26] | I… I know it might not | 我知道… |
[25:28] | be my place to say… but I think Benny | 我这样说可能不太合适 但我觉得本尼 |
[25:32] | is onto something. | 有点道理 |
[25:33] | You’re right, it’s not your place. | 是的 确实不太合适 |
[25:35] | Well, if she’s out of line, then I’m definitely looking for work, | 如果她说的不合适 那我可能就得离职了 |
[25:37] | because what he’s talking about sounds like… | 因为他的这番话听上去像是 |
[25:40] | a real defense. | 一个真正的抗辩 |
[25:43] | And what I said? | 那我说的像什么呢 |
[25:46] | It sounds like a point of view. | 像是你的一个观点 |
[25:49] | An… and, look, you may be right, | 你可能是对的 |
[25:52] | but when the smoke clears, | 但当局势明朗时 |
[25:54] | no matter where this thing ends up, | 无论结果如何 |
[25:56] | we all want to feel like we actually defended our client, | 我们都希望自己真正维护了客户的权利 |
[26:01] | and not stand around and let | 而不是冷眼看着 |
[26:03] | whatever you’re convinced is gonna happen just… happen. | 你的努力付之东流 |
[26:15] | Causation. | 因果关系 |
[26:18] | Rhymes with “Exoneration.” | 和”免罪免责”很押韵呢 |
[26:23] | Let’s hope it works. | 希望有用 |
[26:29] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[26:32] | the law is very clear and straightforward | 法律对此类情形的规定 |
[26:35] | about situations like these. | 清楚明确 |
[26:37] | It is virtually irrefutable that the defendant, | 无可否认的事实是 |
[26:40] | through her actions, through her willingness | 被告人亲手主动向一个醉鬼 |
[26:43] | to serve an apparently already inebriated man | 提供更多酒精 |
[26:46] | more alcohol, set in motion a series of events | 这引致了此后 |
[26:49] | that led to all this bloodshed and heartache. | 这一场令人痛心的杀人事件 |
[26:54] | And the law has a name for that. | 法律对这种行为的定义是 |
[26:58] | Involuntary manslaughter. | 过失杀人 |
[27:02] | So, even though someone doesn’t actually pull the trigger, | 所以 即使某人没有扣动扳机 |
[27:05] | she must still be held responsible | 只要她的行为促成了悲剧结果 |
[27:08] | for all that she did that contributed to this horrific tragedy. | 她都必须为此负责 |
[27:13] | On New Year’s Eve, | 在跨年夜上 |
[27:14] | the day of these unforgivable killings, | 也就是这不可饶恕的杀戮发生那天 |
[27:19] | Eugene Hobbs had breakfast at the Crosstown Diner. | 尤金·霍布斯在饭店吃了早餐 |
[27:24] | Had they not served him, isn’t it possible | 如果他们没有接待他 |
[27:28] | that he might not have had the energy | 是不是他就没有体能 |
[27:30] | to commit his monstrous crime later that day? | 犯下之后的弥天大罪呢 |
[27:34] | And yet, where’s the waiter that brought him his bacon and eggs? | 可那个给他端上培根和煎蛋的服务生在哪 |
[27:38] | Why isn’t he here… | 他为什么不在这呢 |
[27:40] | sitting beside my client, | 坐在我的委托人旁边 |
[27:42] | shouldering his portion of the responsibility? | 分担属于他的那部分责任 |
[27:44] | Or the gas station that sold him the gas | 还有加油站 |
[27:48] | that made it possible for him to drive | 他们卖的汽油 |
[27:50] | to his estranged wife’s home. | 让他能开车去分居妻子家 |
[27:53] | Or the company that sold him the winter coat he was wearing | 还有卖给他棉衣的公司 |
[27:57] | that made it bearable for him to go out in the cold | 让他能在寒冬出门 |
[28:00] | to do what he did. | 酿下大祸 |
[28:04] | I mention all this because the prosecution, | 我举出这些 是因为检方 |
[28:07] | in explaining his case against my client, | 在指控我的委托人时 |
[28:09] | left out one vital element. | 忽略了一个重要因素 |
[28:11] | That’s causation. | 就是因果关系 |
[28:14] | It’s causation. | 因果关系 |
[28:15] | Th… That’s really the question here. | 这才是本案的核心 |
[28:18] | Did what my client do actually cause these killings? | 我委托人的行为是否直接导致了杀戮 |
[28:22] | Let me put it another way. | 我再换一种说法 |
[28:24] | Had my client not served Mr. Hobbs, | 如果我的委托人没有为霍布斯服务 |
[28:26] | is it reasonable to suppose that he would not have gone | 我们是否就可以说 他不会去到妻子家 |
[28:29] | to his estranged wife’s home and done what he did? | 并犯下一系列罪行了 |
[28:33] | Ladies and gentlemen, as I will demonstrate during this trial, | 女士们先生们 我将在后续审理中证明 |
[28:37] | the facts do not support that. | 本案事实不足以支撑指控 |
[28:39] | One did not cause the other. | 两者并无因果关系 |
[28:41] | And, folks, if I can prove to you | 各位 如果我能向你们证明 |
[28:43] | that one did not cause the other, | 因果关系不存在 |
[28:44] | then you have no choice but to find my client not guilty. | 你们就只能认定我的委托人无罪 |
[28:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[28:54] | Tell me what you see. | 情况如何 |
[28:55] | I’ll tell you what I don’t see. | 不太理想 |
[28:57] | I don’t see any takers. | 没人买账 |
[29:00] | Well, he’s telling them there may not be a bogeyman. | 他的意思是本案可能没有坏人 |
[29:03] | Or woman. | 或坏女人 |
[29:05] | That there may not be a living and breathing human being left to punish, | 可能没有还活着 还在呼吸的人会被惩罚 |
[29:09] | that they may not have someone that’s still alive left to blame. | 可能在活着的人中已经找不到谁来怪罪了 |
[29:13] | And that’s not fun to hear, so let’s give it some time. | 这不是好事 所以我们再等等 |
[29:17] | So, as a city medical examiner, Dr. Ferrel, | 作为市法医官 菲洛医生 |
[29:20] | you performed autopsies not just on the five victims | 你不仅解剖了五名被害人 |
[29:23] | – but on the shooter as well. – I did. | – 也检验了枪手 – 是的 |
[29:25] | And can you tell us about the shooter’s blood alcohol level? | 你能否告诉我们枪手的血液酒精含量 |
[29:27] | He was pretty close to a .23. | 接近0.23 |
[29:30] | And the legal limit is? | 那么法定酒限是多少呢 |
[29:31] | 0.08 .08. | |
[29:33] | So, almost three times the legal limit. | 接近法定标准的三倍 |
[29:37] | That is correct. | 是的 |
[29:39] | I have nothing further for this witness at this time. | 针对这位证人我暂时没有问题了 |
[29:45] | Dr. Ferrel, you supervised all of the autopsies | 菲洛医生 你是否负责了 |
[29:49] | for all the victims, as well as the shooter? | 对所有被害人及枪手的解剖 |
[29:53] | I did. | 是的 |
[29:54] | And how many shots were actually fired by the shooter? | 枪手共开了几枪 |
[29:57] | Five. | 五枪 |
[29:58] | And there were how many victims? | 共有几名被害人 |
[30:00] | Not including the gunman himself. | 不包括枪手自己 |
[30:01] | Five. | 五名 |
[30:02] | Wow. The shooter didn’t waste a single shot. | 枪手倒是一发都没浪费 |
[30:07] | Doesn’t sound like he was all that impaired to me. | 我可不觉得他当时神志不清 |
[30:10] | Maybe just drunk enough to actually go through with it. | 也许酒精只是促使他完成了罪行 |
[30:12] | Ah, I see, I see. | 明白 |
[30:15] | So you are suggesting that perhaps | 你的意思是也许 |
[30:17] | the alcohol gave him the courage to commit these terrible crimes? | 酒精给他壮了胆 |
[30:21] | Okay, and… and what in your autopsy findings led you to that? | 那么你是如何从尸检中得出这项结论的呢 |
[30:26] | Nothing. It’s just a hunch. | 没有 我只是推测 |
[30:29] | Just a hunch. | 只是推测 |
[30:32] | Okay, let’s talk science. | 我们谈谈科学 |
[30:35] | Let’s talk statistics. | 我们谈谈数据 |
[30:36] | Would it surprise you to know | 你知不知道 |
[30:38] | that the Center for Disease Control | 疾控中心做过一项 |
[30:40] | did a study of mass shootings in America? | 关于美国大规模枪击案的研究 |
[30:42] | Mass shootings being any shooting in a single place | 大规模枪击指在单一地点 |
[30:45] | in which four or more people are shot dead at the same time. | 同时杀害四人以上的枪击事件 |
[30:49] | And they discovered, unlike domestic, | 他们发现 与因家庭纠纷引起 |
[30:51] | single-victim shootings, | 只有一名受害者的 |
[30:52] | which tend to be spontaneous acts of passion, | 常常是因为一时热血的枪击案不同 |
[30:56] | mass shootings almost never involve alcohol or drugs. | 大规模枪击基本不涉及酒精或毒品 |
[31:01] | And they found this puzzling, | 他们对此很困惑 |
[31:03] | so they interviewed the shooters, | 于是采访了枪手们 |
[31:04] | and you know what they discovered? | 你猜他们发现了什么 |
[31:05] | Shooting a lot of people is hard. | 枪杀多人很难 |
[31:08] | It takes planning, it takes focus, | 需要策划 需要专注 |
[31:11] | and apparently that’s why, by and large, | 所以一般来说 |
[31:14] | no alcohol or drugs figured into these shootings. | 酒精或毒品对枪击案的影响不大 |
[31:18] | And when they did, | 即使服用了 |
[31:20] | it had nothing to do with the killings themselves. | 也和杀人行为本身无关 |
[31:23] | It was usually because the shooter had been drinking | 有时枪手喝酒 |
[31:25] | to celebrate an anniversary or birthday. | 是想庆祝周年纪念日或生日 |
[31:30] | Or maybe even the New Year. | 甚至可能是新年 |
[31:32] | Objection. Is Mr. Colón testifying, | 反对 Colón先生是在作证 |
[31:34] | or is he gonna ask the witness a question? | 还是在向证人提问 |
[31:35] | I’m sorry, Your Honor. | 抱歉 法官阁下 |
[31:37] | Sometimes I get excited and I just start talking. | 我有时一兴奋就会滔滔不绝 |
[31:40] | Objection sustained. | 反对有效 |
[31:42] | The jury will disregard counsel’s comment. | 陪审团可以无视律师的话 |
[31:46] | Well, maybe they will, maybe they won’t. | 无不无视是他们自己的选择 |
[31:52] | Your brother was a real superstar today. | 你弟弟今天这是个巨星 |
[31:56] | Prosecution put on a full-court press. | 检方请来了媒体对全庭全程报道 |
[32:02] | Of course, tomorrow we put on our case. | 明天就是最后一次了 |
[32:07] | And don’t tell Benny, but I for one | 我会多带一条内裤 |
[32:08] | am gonna bring an extra pair of underwear. | 别告诉本尼 |
[32:11] | I have a feeling it’s gonna get ugly. | 我感觉不会简单的 |
[32:15] | You don’t sound optimistic. | 你听着不太乐观 |
[32:19] | I didn’t say I wasn’t rooting for your brother. | 我不是说我不支持你弟弟 |
[32:21] | It’s just… | 只是… |
[32:24] | people need someone to pay, | 人们总得找人定罪 |
[32:26] | even if it’s just Mrs. O’Leary’s cow. | 就算只是奥利芮夫人的牛 |
[32:32] | Is it just juries that you’ve lost faith in, | 你是失去了对陪审团的信心 |
[32:34] | or… all of humanity? | 还是对人性的呢 |
[32:38] | It’s everyone. Pretty much the whole species. | 所有人 我失去了对整个人类的信心 |
[32:42] | Then… | 那么… |
[32:45] | why are we having this baby? | 我们还生孩子吗 |
[32:47] | Well, it’s like I told your brother, | 就像我给你弟弟说的 |
[32:50] | sometimes things happen. | 有些事发生了 |
[32:52] | They just do. | 就发生了吧 |
[32:54] | I didn’t ask you how, | 我不是说发生了能怎样 |
[32:57] | I asked you why. | 我是想问你为什么要发生 |
[33:00] | Maybe, way down deep… | 可能在我内心深处 |
[33:03] | I’m hoping I’m wrong. | 我还希望我是错的 |
[33:06] | So, how long did you know the shooter? | 你认识枪手多久了 |
[33:08] | How long were you friends with the shooter? | 你和他做了多久朋友了 |
[33:09] | Since high school. | 从高中开始 |
[33:11] | So y… you were around when he met his estranged wife? | 所以你见证了他与分居妻子相遇 |
[33:14] | When they started dating? When they got engaged? | 恋爱 订婚的全过程 |
[33:17] | Yup. He couldn’t believe it. He thought he’d won the lotto. | 是的 他不敢相信 觉得自己中头彩了 |
[33:21] | So they were young and in love? | 所以他们年轻时很相爱 |
[33:23] | Until they weren’t. I remember him telling me, | 后来就变了 我记得他告诉我 |
[33:26] | he said that one day everything just changed, | 有天一切都变了 |
[33:29] | that she wouldn’t hold his hand, | 她不再牵她的手 |
[33:31] | she wouldn’t let him kiss her, wouldn’t let him touch her, | 不再让他吻她 触碰她 |
[33:34] | didn’t want to listen to anything he had to say. | 不再愿意听他说话 |
[33:36] | And how did he react to that? | 他对此是如何反应的 |
[33:38] | Not well. | 不太好 |
[33:40] | For a while he was just depressed, and then he got mad. | 他伤心了一阵子 后来就发怒了 |
[33:43] | And did he ever discuss seeking some kind of revenge? | 他是否提到过要报复 |
[33:47] | Yes. | 是的 |
[33:48] | And did this revenge involve guns? | 是用枪报复吗 |
[33:50] | Yes. | 是的 |
[33:51] | And when did these conversations start? | 他是什么时候开始提到这些的 |
[33:54] | About three months before the killings. | 案发前三个月左右 |
[33:57] | Three months. | 三个月 |
[34:00] | Thank you. No further questions, Your Honor. | 谢谢你 没有问题了 法官阁下 |
[34:05] | So your testimony is, | 所以你的证词是 |
[34:07] | your best friend tells you he wants to shoot his wife, | 你的好朋友告诉你 他想枪杀自己的妻子 |
[34:09] | and you didn’t call the police? | 可你却没有报警 |
[34:11] | You didn’t call his wife? | 也没有告诉他妻子 |
[34:14] | No. | 没有 |
[34:15] | May I ask why not? | 请问为什么呢 |
[34:18] | Honestly? | 说真的吗 |
[34:20] | I thought he was just trying to blow off some steam. | 我以为他不过是在发泄情绪 |
[34:22] | I mean, come on. | 拜托 |
[34:24] | Who kills their wife? | 谁会杀自己老婆呢 |
[34:27] | Your best friend did. | 你最好的朋友 |
[34:30] | Your best friend did. | 他杀了他妻子 |
[34:36] | So, is that the gun you sold the shooter? | 这是你卖给枪手的枪吗 |
[34:39] | Certainly the same make and model. | 同品牌 同型号 |
[34:40] | And when did the sale take place? | 交易是何时达成的 |
[34:42] | Uh… right around Thanksgiving. | 感恩节前后 |
[34:44] | About five weeks before the killings? | 案发前五周左右吗 |
[34:46] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[34:49] | Do you have any knowledge regarding whether the shooter | 你是否知道枪手在案发前 |
[34:52] | had ever fired a gun prior to the shootings? | 有无用枪的经历呢 |
[34:55] | He mentioned to me that he hadn’t. | 他对我说他没用过枪 |
[34:58] | Wanted to know if I could point him towards a range | 问我能否带他去靶场 |
[35:01] | where he could practice, get comfortable with it. | 练习枪法 习惯拿枪的感觉 |
[35:03] | And how often would the shooter bring his gun to your range? | 枪手多久带枪来一次靶场呢 |
[35:06] | Three or four times a week. | 一周三四次 |
[35:08] | Three or four times a week. | 一周三四次 |
[35:10] | Every week in the weeks leading up to the shooting? | 枪击案发生前每周都来吗 |
[35:12] | Uh-huh. Even Christmas. | 连圣诞节都来 |
[35:14] | We got him signing in and we’ve got him on video. | 我们有他的签到和监控记录 |
[35:18] | Now, your sister and her husband died | 你妹妹和妹夫 |
[35:20] | on the night of the massacre. | 在那晚被残杀 |
[35:21] | Yes. They were all great friends. | 是的 他们都是好朋友 |
[35:24] | My sister and her husband, another friend and her husband, | 我妹妹妹夫 另一对夫妻 |
[35:27] | and of course… | 以及 |
[35:28] | The shooter’s estranged wife. | 枪手的分居妻子 |
[35:31] | Now, this New Year’s Eve party, | 这场跨年夜派对 |
[35:34] | this is something they did every year? | 是他们每年的固定节目吗 |
[35:36] | Every year since the end of high school. | 高中毕业后年年如此 |
[35:38] | It was just the three couples, | 一直是三对夫妻 |
[35:40] | except this year it was two and a half. | 只有今年变成了两对半 |
[35:42] | – Because the shooter wasn’t invited. – No. | – 因为没邀请枪手 – 是的 |
[35:44] | But he knew about it. | 但他知道 |
[35:45] | Like I said, it happened every year. | 因为年年都办 |
[35:49] | And I’m sure it hurt his feelings, | 他肯定伤心了 |
[35:52] | along with everything else that was going on. | 加上别的糟心事 |
[35:54] | So you don’t think it was an accident | 所以你认为 他选择了在这个特别的晚上 |
[35:57] | that he chose this particular night | 带着枪回到家中 |
[35:59] | to go back home with a firearm? | 并不是一个意外 |
[36:01] | No. He knew exactly what to expect | 对 当他走进家门时 |
[36:03] | when he walked through the door. | 他完全知道自己将要做什么 |
[36:06] | Thank you, Ms. Parker. | 谢谢你 帕克女士 |
[36:09] | Oh, uh, one last question. | 还有最后一个问题 |
[36:13] | How well did you know the shooter? | 你有多了解枪手 |
[36:15] | Pretty well. | 非常了解 |
[36:16] | Since the end of high school, like the rest of them. Why? | 从高中毕业起 我们几个一直是朋友 怎么了 |
[36:21] | And… | 还有 |
[36:22] | did you know him to be a drinker? | 你知道他是个酒徒吗 |
[36:24] | Yeah. Sure. Gene could drink with the best of them. | 当然 谁也喝不过他 |
[36:28] | So the idea that he would have to drink | 所以有没有可能 他不得不用喝酒 |
[36:30] | to summon up the courage to do something…? | 来鼓起勇气去做些什么 |
[36:33] | Based on my experience? | 基于我的经验吗 |
[36:35] | Gene would drink to drink. | 他会为了喝而喝 |
[36:43] | Thanks again, Ms. Parker. | 再次感谢 帕克女士 |
[36:45] | Marissa? | 梅丽莎 |
[36:47] | I’ve only got two little sprouts on my end. | 我这边只有两个人有点小苗头 |
[36:49] | Okay, that’s a beginning. | 好 这是个开始 |
[36:53] | Let’s see what closing arguments bring. | 我们来看看结案陈词之后会有什么变化 |
[36:55] | So he came up with the plan three months before it happened, | 所以他在案件发生前三个月就形成了一个计划 |
[37:00] | bought the gun about six weeks before it happened, | 并在六周前买了一把枪 |
[37:03] | started practicing five weeks before the big day, | 在案发当日前的五周开始练习枪法 |
[37:07] | and drank every time he had the money and the time. | 并且每逢有钱有时间的时候就会去喝酒 |
[37:11] | So how does my client fit into all this? | 所以我的委托人是如何恰巧跟这一切吻合的呢 |
[37:15] | From everything I can tell, she doesn’t. | 从我所得到的所有信息来看 她并没有 |
[37:19] | Now, uh, a guy I work with, | 现在 我一起工作的一位同事 |
[37:22] | a guy I really, um, respect… | 一位我真的尊敬的人 |
[37:27] | …we got into this thing at work. | 在我们的工作中发生了这样一件事 |
[37:31] | I was in the middle of a tough time. | 我当时正处于非常艰难的时期 |
[37:33] | My dad had just died, my sister’s marriage fell apart, | 我的父亲刚刚过世 我妹妹离婚了 |
[37:38] | bunch of other things. | 还有一堆其他事 |
[37:39] | Some had to do with him, some didn’t. | 有一些和这位同事有关 有些无关 |
[37:41] | Anyway, | 总之 |
[37:43] | I got really angry with this guy. | 我非常生这个人的气 |
[37:47] | And somewhere deep down inside, | 在我内心深处的某个地方 |
[37:50] | without really thinking about it, | 完全不经思考地 |
[37:53] | I decided to blame it all on him. | 我决定把所有的事怪罪于他 |
[37:57] | Now, eventually, we… we patched it up, | 现在终于 我们平息了这一切 |
[37:59] | and I remember at one point him saying to me, | 我还记得某时他对我说 |
[38:02] | “I know you’re hurt. | “我知道你很受伤 |
[38:05] | I know you’re looking for someone to blame, | 我知道你是找个人来撒气 |
[38:07] | Someone to unload all that hurt on, | 让你把所有的受伤情绪都发泄给这个人 |
[38:10] | But, you know, sometimes | 但是 有些时候 |
[38:13] | things just happen. They just do.” | 事情发生了 就发生了” |
[38:18] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 各位陪审团成员 |
[38:19] | I think Eugene Hobbs made a decision to do something, | 我认为无论我的委托人是否卖酒给尤金·霍布斯 |
[38:24] | and whether or not my client served him those drinks, | 他都已经定下决心 |
[38:27] | he was going to do it. | 已经打算去实施 |
[38:30] | Because, you know, sometimes | 因为 有些时候 |
[38:33] | things just happen. | 事情发生了 |
[38:36] | They just do. | 就发生了 |
[38:40] | So, where does that leave us? | 所以 现在是什么情况 |
[38:41] | I am staring at a perfect mix of red and green. | 红绿比例完美 |
[38:44] | Six and six. | 六比六 |
[38:48] | What did she say? | 她说什么 |
[38:51] | Six, six. | 六比六 |
[38:53] | Split right down the middle. | 正好从中间分开 |
[38:55] | Well, that sounds pretty good, right? | 听起来挺好的 对吗 |
[38:59] | Yes and no. | 是 也不是 |
[39:03] | Either side needs a unanimous verdict to prevail. | 每一方都需要全体一致的裁决才能获胜 |
[39:05] | And what happens if it’s just a standoff? | 如果僵局维持不变该怎么办 |
[39:09] | We get to do this all over again, | 我们得重新来过这一切 |
[39:11] | and your life stays on hold for another year or so. | 而你的生活会停滞一年左右 |
[39:26] | Anything? | 有消息吗 |
[39:28] | A call or text? | 有电话或消息吗 |
[39:30] | Anything from the courthouse? | 法院那边有什么消息吗 |
[39:31] | I’m afraid the silence has been deafening. | 老样子 |
[39:43] | Entrez vous. | 请进 |
[39:47] | What do you hear? | 有消息了吗 |
[39:49] | Nothing. | 没有 |
[39:51] | Oh, Patricia. | 帕翠夏 |
[39:54] | That poor girl. | 可怜的姑娘 |
[39:56] | She must be going out of her mind. | 她一定要疯了 |
[40:01] | I’m sorry, Bull. | 我很抱歉 布尔 |
[40:06] | Sorry I got you into this thing. | 抱歉我让你卷进来 |
[40:07] | I’m sorry I didn’t get it past the goal line. | 抱歉我没有达到预期目标 |
[40:10] | I’m sorry I didn’t bring it home. | 抱歉我没能成功 |
[40:15] | Maybe you’re right. | 也许你是对的 |
[40:17] | Maybe I just don’t understand juries. | 也许我就是不了解陪审团 |
[40:23] | Oh, Benny. | 本尼 |
[40:26] | I was wrong. | 是我错了 |
[40:29] | I’ve been wrong about everything. | 所有的事我都错了 |
[40:32] | Watching you in court, I turned green. | 看着你在法庭上 我都被说服了 |
[40:39] | People are my business. | 我做的是关于人的生意 |
[40:40] | I’m supposed to know what they think before they even think it. | 我应该在他们开始想就知道他们要想什么 |
[40:45] | And I got to tell you, most of the time lately… | 而且我必须告诉你 最近大多数时候 |
[40:48] | the world seems so crazy. | 我觉得这个世界变得好疯狂 |
[40:51] | People seem so crazy to me. | 人们好疯狂 |
[40:55] | Makes me terrified for the world | 这使我害怕自己的孩子 |
[40:59] | my kid is gonna grow up in. | 将在这样的世界里成长 |
[41:04] | How long you think they’re gonna make us wait? | 你认为他们会让我们等多久 |
[41:06] | The jury? | 陪审团 |
[41:09] | As long as it takes, I’m afraid. | 恐怕没有期限 |
[41:16] | So, wait, that’s your big New Year’s Eve story? | 等一下 这就是你的新年前夜小故事 |
[41:18] | That’s how it ends? It can’t end like that. | 就那么结束了 不行吧 |
[41:22] | I mean, did the jury finally come back with a verdict? | 陪审团最终给出裁决了吗 |
[41:25] | Not really. | 并没有 |
[41:26] | After 13 days, they just kind of gave up. | 十三天后 他们就那样放弃了 |
[41:30] | Told the court they were hopelessly deadlocked. | 他们告诉法院自己陷入了无望的僵局 |
[41:32] | And then they had to do it all over again? | 然后他们又全部重来了吗 |
[41:35] | No. | 没有 |
[41:36] | The district attorney dropped the charges. | 地方检察官撤诉了 |
[41:39] | Well, wait a second, why would he do that? | 等一下 他为什么那么做 |
[41:42] | Well, the way my dad and my uncle explained it to me, | 我爸爸和我舅舅是这么给我解释的 |
[41:46] | he said back to them the same thing | 地方检察官回复他们的 |
[41:48] | they kept saying to each other: | 跟他们一直对彼此说的一样 |
[41:50] | “I guess sometimes things just happen. | “我猜有些时候 事情发生 |
[41:53] | Sometimes they just do.” | 就发生了” |
[41:58] | Yeah, I get that. | 我懂 |
[42:00] | But I don’t think that could happen today. | 但是我不认为如今还会发生这样的事 |
[42:03] | I kind of think the world must’ve been much simpler back then. | 我有点觉得过去的世界要比现在简单很多 |
[42:11] | Come on, you two, get in here. | 你们两个 赶紧进来 |
[42:13] | It’s almost next year. | 都快明年了 |
[42:15] | Hey, time’s a wasting. | 别浪费时间啦 |
[42:17] | Ball’s about to drop. | 黄花菜都要凉了 |
[42:19] | Okay, Dad. Okay, uncle Benny. | 知道啦 爸爸 本尼舅舅 |
[42:23] | We’ll be right in. | 我们这就进来了 |