时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:30] | And that will do it for the headlines for the 9:00 hour. | 以上就是九点的头条新闻 |
[00:33] | We will see you back here at 9:30. | 我们九点半再回来 |
[00:35] | For New York News 3, I’m Allison Rojas. | 纽约新闻三台 我是阿里森·洛哈斯 |
[00:39] | And we’re out. | 结束 |
[00:43] | – Nice broadcast. – Thanks. | – 做得很棒 – 谢谢 |
[00:44] | That new shade of lipstick, that looks great on camera. | 新色号很上镜 |
[00:53] | Who would send me | 谁会在我 |
[00:54] | a birthday card two months before my birthday? | 生日前两个月送我生日贺卡啊 |
[00:59] | Okay, this is not funny. | 好吧 这不好笑 |
[01:01] | – Oh, no. It’s in your hair. – It’s everywhere. | – 哦不 沾到你头发上了 – 到处都是 |
[01:03] | I have to be back on the air in 23 and a half minutes. | 我还有二十三分半钟就要回去直播了 |
[01:05] | No, I’ll get-get, uh, wardrobe and makeup. | 没事 我去给你换套衣服 补个妆 |
[01:06] | Hurry. | 赶快 |
[01:13] | Yesterday morning, my wife… she woke up achy, nauseous. | 昨天早上 我妻子醒来感到疼痛恶心 |
[01:16] | She had a bit of a fever, said her chest hurt. | 她有点发烧 说胸口疼 |
[01:18] | We thought it was the flu. | 我们以为是流感 |
[01:19] | But then, today, she started coughing up blood. | 但今天她开始咳血 |
[01:22] | Attendant, | 护士 |
[01:23] | – let’s get her to Room One. – Yes, Doctor. | – 把她送到一号病房 – 好的 医生 |
[01:25] | Let’s page Dr. Farmer and the chief, | 呼叫法默医生和主任 |
[01:27] | and then alert the Health Department and the CDC. | 通知卫生部和疾控中心 |
[01:29] | The-the CDC? | 疾控中心 |
[01:30] | Center for Disease Control? What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[01:32] | Government buildings | 政府大楼关闭 |
[01:33] | remain closed and subway ridership | 地铁客流量处于 |
[01:35] | is at its lowest level since 9/11 | 9·11以来最低水平 |
[01:37] | as anthrax terror grips Manhattan. | 炭疽恐惧笼罩着曼哈顿 |
[01:39] | A quiet panic has descended on the city | 无声的恐慌降临城市 |
[01:42] | as New Yorkers are trying to figure out who’s behind this | 纽约市民迫切想知道谁是幕后黑手 |
[01:44] | and when it will end. | 这一切何时结束 |
[01:45] | At this hour, the death toll remains at two. | 截至目前 死亡人数为两人 |
[01:49] | The deceased are Katie Connors, | 死者之一 凯蒂·康纳 |
[01:51] | who opened a birthday card addressed to her husband, | 打开了一封寄给她丈夫 |
[01:53] | Manhattan Congressman Peter Connors, | 曼哈顿议员皮特·康纳的生日贺卡 |
[01:56] | and Emmanuel Bakry, the postal worker who delivered it. | 另一位死者是派送贺卡的邮递员伊曼纽尔·巴克 |
[01:59] | But, finally, some good news. | 但还是有一些好消息 |
[02:01] | News 3’s Allison Rojas is responding to treatment | 一个多星期前 新闻三台的阿里森·洛哈斯 |
[02:04] | after opening an anthrax-laden greeting card | 就在这间演播室打开了一张有炭疽细菌的贺卡 |
[02:07] | in this very studio more than a week ago. | 她接受治疗后情况有所好转 |
[02:10] | Doctors expect her and the four other News 3 staffers | 医生预计她和其他四名新闻三台工作人员 |
[02:13] | who were taken ill to make a full recovery. | 能够完全康复 |
[02:32] | Folks, we’re about to roll, so I need quiet. | 各位 我们要开始了 请安静 |
[02:36] | Five, four, | 五 四 |
[02:38] | three, two… | 三 二 |
[02:43] | Good afternoon from ground zero. | 下午好 这里是疾控中心 |
[02:45] | Here in Manhattan we’re all collectively holding our breath, | 在曼哈顿 大家都一同屏住呼吸 |
[02:48] | waiting for the next anthrax-laden shoe to drop. | 等待下一次炭疽袭击 |
[02:51] | With that thought in mind, we thought we’d pay a visit to Hudson University, | 鉴于此 我们来到了哈德逊大学 |
[02:55] | which is one of the foremost laboratories | 这里是研究化学武器和 |
[02:57] | for the study of chemical weapons and bio-pathogens. | 生物病原体最重要的实验室之一 |
[03:00] | We wanted to talk with Dr. Roger Simpkins, | 我们想和罗杰·辛普金博士谈谈 |
[03:03] | a microbiologist and researcher who runs this lab, | 他是管理这个实验室的微生物学家和研究员 |
[03:06] | which is financed in a combination of funding | 该实验室由大学 |
[03:08] | from the university and the government. | 和政府共同资助 |
[03:10] | Dr. Simpkins, any words of wisdom | 辛普金博士 您有什么箴言 |
[03:13] | or homespun advice for our viewers tuning in, | 或者建议给我们收看直播的观众吗 |
[03:16] | missing work and school, doing everything they can | 他们停工停学 竭尽所能 |
[03:19] | to keep themselves from becoming a victim, | 避免成为下一个受害者 |
[03:21] | falling ill, possibly even dying? | 避免染病导致的可能死亡 |
[03:23] | The thing we all need to remember | 我们得记住 |
[03:25] | is that anthrax is not a virus. | 炭疽不是病毒 |
[03:27] | It’s a bacteria, and that means you can’t catch it. | 它是一种细菌 因此你不会被感染 |
[03:29] | It can’t be transmitted from person-to-person, | 它无法人传人 |
[03:31] | so if you don’t have direct contact with it, | 所以 如果你与它没有直接接触的话 |
[03:33] | it poses no threat to you. | 它对你构不成威胁 |
[03:35] | So calm down. | 所以请冷静 |
[03:38] | A-And I’ve been told that even if you do have direct contact, | 我还听说即使你有直接接触 |
[03:40] | it’s still not necessarily fatal. | 它也不一定是致命的 |
[03:44] | Absolutely true. | 完全正确 |
[03:45] | If anthrax is identified early, it can be treated. | 如果炭疽发现得早 是可以治疗的 |
[03:48] | What makes it tricky is early anthrax symptoms | 棘手的是 早期的炭疽症状 |
[03:51] | look just like the flu. | 和流感很像 |
[03:52] | So unless your doctor knows | 因此 除非你的医生知道 |
[03:54] | that you’ve actually had contact with it, | 你确实与它有过接触 |
[03:56] | the disease can go undetected until the drugs we use | 否则直到治疗药物不再有效 |
[03:59] | to cure it are no longer effective. | 这种病可能才会被发现 |
[04:00] | But it’s been nearly 20 years | 但是距离上次炭疽事件 |
[04:02] | since the last round of anthrax incidents. | 已经过去将近二十年了 |
[04:04] | How is it there’s still no cure for this stuff? | 为什么这病仍然没有特效药 |
[04:07] | Well, ironically, | 讽刺的是 |
[04:09] | uh, last year at this time, my, uh, colleagues and I | 去年的这个时候 我和我同事 |
[04:13] | were in the process of developing | 曾致力于研发一项 |
[04:15] | some very promising new late-stage anthrax treatments. | 针对后期炭疽的有效新型疗法 |
[04:17] | Wait. | 等等 |
[04:18] | “Were”? | 这个项目停止了吗 |
[04:19] | Well, our funding, particularly with regard to anthrax research, | 我们的资金 尤其是炭疽研究的资金 |
[04:23] | comes from the federal government. | 来自于联邦政府 |
[04:25] | And they pulled way back this year. | 但今年他们中止了资助 |
[04:29] | What can I tell you? | 我能说什么呢 |
[04:31] | Go write your congressman. | 给你们的议员写信吧 |
[04:44] | The FBI is in my office. | 联邦调查局在我办公室 |
[04:46] | They’ve determined that the anthrax used | 他们已经确定最近这些袭击中 |
[04:48] | in all these recent attacks | 用到的炭疽 |
[04:50] | comes from our labs. | 就来自我们实验室 |
[04:53] | They want to talk to the three of you. | 他们想和你们三个谈谈 |
[05:02] | What did you do? Get a second job? | 你干嘛 又找了份工作吗 |
[05:04] | Aren’t you afraid of dogs? | 你不是怕狗吗 |
[05:06] | Other postal workers going postal? | 其他邮递员压力太大崩溃了吗 |
[05:08] | Not funny. It’s just my mail | 这不好笑 这些只是我 |
[05:10] | for the last couple of weeks. | 最近几周的邮件 |
[05:11] | I made the post office hold it for me. | 我让邮局先替我暂存的 |
[05:13] | Once I found out the FBI arrested the anthrax killer, | 现在联邦调查局已经抓到炭疽凶手了 |
[05:16] | I figured it was finally safe to pick it up | 可以拿回来整理整理了 |
[05:17] | and sort through it all. | 总算安全了 |
[05:18] | Won’t be needing that anymore. | 不需要这个了 |
[05:23] | Bull in his office? | 布尔在办公室吗 |
[05:33] | I’m in the middle | 我正在进行一项 |
[05:34] | of some very important procrastination. | 非常重要的拖延活动 |
[05:39] | Hey. Sorry to interrupt. | 抱歉打扰 |
[05:42] | Why are you so glum, Mr. Colon? | 你怎么闷闷不乐的 科隆先生 |
[05:44] | Haven’t you heard? | 你没听说吗 |
[05:45] | It’s a glorious day in New York. | 这是纽约灿烂的一天 |
[05:48] | Spring has sprung, | 春天来了 |
[05:51] | Easter’s barely a month away, | 还有一个月不到就是复活节了 |
[05:52] | and the anthrax killer is off the streets. | 炭疽凶手也被缉拿归案了 |
[05:54] | We can put this whole dark chapter behind us. | 这黑暗的一章总算可以翻过去了 |
[05:57] | Well, actually, no, we can’t. | 实际上还没翻篇儿呢 |
[06:00] | What does that mean? | 什么意思 |
[06:02] | You remember, a couple of years ago, we signed up | 你还记得 几年前我们加入了一个 |
[06:04] | to be a part of that program where private firms offer | 私人事务所给公设律师事务所 |
[06:08] | their services to the public defender’s office? | 提供服务的项目吗 |
[06:10] | No. I got nothing on that. | 不记得 |
[06:13] | Must have been trying to get into somebody’s good graces. | 大概是想讨好什么人吧 |
[06:16] | What’s the difference? We offered, | 有什么区别 我们答应提供服务 |
[06:17] | and this morning they called. | 今早他们打电话过来 |
[06:19] | Natalie Reznick, the accused anthrax killer, is facing | 纳塔利·雷兹尼 那个被指控的炭疽杀手 |
[06:23] | two counts of capital murder and a slew of other charges. | 面临着两项一级谋杀和其他一系列指控 |
[06:25] | Well, she needs a defense team, and we’re one of the few firms | 她需要一支辩护团队 而我们是市里少数几个 |
[06:29] | in the city with the expertise to handle that type of case. | 有处理这类案子的专业知识的事务所 |
[06:32] | Well, just call ’em back and tell ’em no. | 直接回电话告诉他们不行呗 |
[06:34] | I have a newborn child and you have… | 我有个刚出生的孩子 你有… |
[06:37] | Just say that | 就说 |
[06:39] | we really appreciate the offer, but we are not interested | 感谢邀约 但我们现在没兴趣 |
[06:41] | in representing a terrorist at this time. | 为一个恐怖分子辩护 |
[06:44] | An accused terrorist. | 是被指控的恐怖分子 |
[06:46] | I think you’re missing the point. | 你没搞清楚重点 |
[06:47] | The federal defender’s office wasn’t asking | 联邦律师事务所今早打来 |
[06:50] | when they called me this morning. | 不是在询问行不行 |
[06:51] | They were telling. | 只是通知而已 |
[06:53] | It’s our case, Bull. | 这案子给我们了 布尔 |
[06:55] | Happy spring. | 春天快乐哦 |
[07:06] | I have no idea why I’m here. | 我不知道我为什么在这 |
[07:08] | Surely you heard the FBI agent | 你肯定听到联邦调查局探员 |
[07:10] | read you the charges before he took you into custody. | 拘留你之前宣读的指控了 |
[07:13] | You’re being charged with murdering two people | 你被指控用一级联邦管制 |
[07:16] | with a Tier 1 federal select biological agent | 生物制剂谋杀两人 |
[07:19] | and terrorizing the city of New York. | 并在纽约制造恐怖 |
[07:21] | Yes, of course, but wh-why would they think I would do that? | 我是听到了 但他们为什么认为我会干这种事 |
[07:25] | Well, the evidence against you | 对你不利的证据 |
[07:27] | will be laid out at your arraignment, | 将会在传讯时公布 |
[07:28] | but based on the charging documents, | 但是从指控文件来看 |
[07:30] | the FBI has a pretty strong case. | FBI掌握了强有力的证据 |
[07:32] | How is that possible? | 这怎么可能 |
[07:34] | Well, when the funding for your anthrax research | 去年 你所参与的炭疽研究 |
[07:36] | was cut last year, | 经费受到削减时 |
[07:37] | you sent out dozens of e-mails. | 你曾发出过数十封邮件 |
[07:39] | To journalists, to politicians. | 收件人有记者和政客 |
[07:41] | The very people who’ve been the targets in these attacks. | 而这些人正是遭受袭击的目标 |
[07:45] | Well, y-yes, b-but that’s… | 没错 但是这 |
[07:48] | that’s just a coincidence. | 这只是个巧合 |
[07:50] | The-the letters that I was writing were about | 我只是在信中说明了 |
[07:53] | how shortsighted and dangerous it was to cut that funding. | 削减经费是目光短浅且非常危险的 |
[07:58] | Just because anthrax was out of the news did not mean | 炭疽热没有出现在公众视野 |
[08:01] | that it was no longer a risk to national security. | 并不意味着它不再对国家安全构成威胁 |
[08:03] | Well, the U.S. Attorney’s Office | 但是联邦检察官办公室 |
[08:05] | suspects that when your warnings fell on deaf ears, | 怀疑当你的警告未被理睬时 |
[08:08] | you orchestrated these attacks to prove a point. | 你便精心策划了这些袭击事件以证明观点 |
[08:12] | “Anthrax is still out there. It’s still lethal.” | “炭疽热依旧存在且致命的” |
[08:16] | That’s absurd. I am a doctor, I am a scientist. | 太荒谬了 我是博士 是科学家 |
[08:20] | The work that my team was doing was about saving lives. | 我们团队所做的一切工作都是为了拯救生命 |
[08:23] | How on earth would killing people | 杀人怎么可能 |
[08:25] | help us achieve that goal? | 帮我们实现目标 |
[08:27] | If that’s all they had, I’d agree with you. | 如果他们的证据只有这些 那我赞同你的说法 |
[08:29] | Are you aware that bleached | 你知道在FBI搜查之前 |
[08:32] | before the FBI searched it? | 你的办公室漂白过吗 |
[08:34] | Yes. | 我知道 |
[08:35] | Bleach is a disinfectant. I work with pathogens. | 漂白粉是一种消毒剂 而我的工作是和致病菌打交道 |
[08:38] | But yours was the only office | 但是你的办公室是 |
[08:40] | in the complex to have been so recently | 整栋楼里唯一一间在最近 |
[08:42] | and thoroughly bleached. | 受过彻底漂白的办公室 |
[08:44] | Bleach kills anthrax. | 漂白粉能杀死炭疽杆菌 |
[08:47] | It makes it appear as if you were destroying evidence. | 这会让人觉得你在销毁证据 |
[08:50] | Your apartment had been bleached, too. | 你的公寓也被漂白过了 |
[08:52] | And investigators found a stash of the antibiotic ciprofloxacin | 而且调查员在你的厨房里发现了藏起来的环丙沙星 |
[08:57] | and a box of N95 face masks in your kitchen. | 以及一盒N95口罩 |
[09:01] | They suspect you used both | 他们怀疑你在制作 |
[09:02] | when you assembled the anthrax-laden birthday cards. | 含有炭疽杆菌的生日贺卡时使用了这两样东西 |
[09:05] | I mean, the masks were… I… | 那些口罩是我… |
[09:09] | I was gonna paint my bathroom. | 我本来准备粉刷浴室 |
[09:13] | And I go on a medical mission every year. | 每年我都去执行医疗任务 |
[09:15] | This year, it’s Cambodia. | 今年是柬埔寨 |
[09:17] | Last year, it was Honduras, | 去年是洪都拉斯 |
[09:18] | Guadalupe. | 还有瓜达卢佩 |
[09:21] | Anyway, my doctor gives me cipro before I go every year. | 不管怎样 每年出发前我的医生都会给我开环丙沙星 |
[09:26] | I meant what I said. | 我说的都是真的 |
[09:29] | I have no idea why I’m here. | 我根本不明白自己为什么会在这里 |
[09:33] | I believe the woman. | 我相信她 |
[09:34] | I mean, she says she has no idea what she’s doing behind bars. | 她说她都不明白她为什么会在监狱 |
[09:38] | I believe her. | 我相信她 |
[09:39] | Okay. Well, that makes two of you. | 好吧 那就是你们俩了 |
[09:41] | Unfortunately, the government sees it all quite differently. | 很不幸 政府的看法截然不同 |
[09:45] | Yeah, government. You ever heard of detective myopia? | 政府 你听说过近视侦探吗 |
[09:48] | Detective myopia? | 近视侦探 |
[09:51] | No. Can’t say that I have. | 还真没听说过 |
[09:53] | It is when law enforcement, | 通常是指执法部门 |
[09:54] | usually because of extreme public or political pressure, | 迫于极度的公众和政治压力 |
[09:57] | picks a suspect and then evaluates all the evidence | 挑选了一个嫌疑人 然后在评估所有证据时 |
[10:01] | with the predisposition that that suspect is guilty. | 会倾向于判断该嫌疑人有罪 |
[10:04] | And they stop looking for other suspects, | 而后停止寻找其他的嫌疑人 |
[10:06] | they stop running down leads | 并且不继续追究那些 |
[10:07] | that don’t back up their predetermined theories. | 不利于他们既定理论的线索 |
[10:09] | All their work goes into proving that their suspect, | 他们所有的工作都是为了证明 |
[10:13] | the person they picked at random is guilty. | 他们随机抓捕的嫌疑人有罪 |
[10:16] | City’s in a panic. | 城市正陷入恐慌 |
[10:18] | FBI needs to restore calm. | FBI需要让它恢复平静 |
[10:20] | Natalie presented as someone with access to the bacteria | 纳塔利正好是能够接触到细菌 |
[10:24] | and an apparent motive, so they combed through her life | 且有明显动机的人 所以他们仔细搜索她的生活 |
[10:26] | looking for ways to prove she did it. | 企图证明是她干的 |
[10:29] | Detective myopia. | 这就是近视侦探 |
[10:34] | I think we need to argue for a change of venue. | 我觉得我们需要争取换个审判地点 |
[10:37] | Well… I know legal strategy isn’t exactly | 我知道法律策略的确不是 |
[10:39] | my area of expertise, but I have been going through | 我的专业领域 但是我一直在浏览 |
[10:42] | the potential jury lists, and, well, given the panic | 可能的陪审团名单 考虑到公众 |
[10:47] | and all of the publicity around this case, | 对这个案子的关注以及恐慌 |
[10:50] | wouldn’t we be likely to get | 难道我们在其他地方 |
[10:51] | a more impartial jury somewhere else? | 不更好找一个更公正的陪审团吗 |
[10:53] | Somewhere that hasn’t been through as much as New York has? | 某个不像纽约经受了这么多的地方 |
[10:56] | That’s not a bad thought, actually. | 其实这是个不错的想法 |
[10:58] | You know, the problem is, it’s next to impossible | 只不过问题在于 |
[11:00] | to get a change of venue in a federal criminal case. | 联邦刑事案件几乎不可能改变审判地点 |
[11:05] | I’m just worried. | 我只是很担心 |
[11:06] | No matter how I look at the data, | 不管我怎么研究数据 |
[11:08] | I just don’t know how we’re gonna seat a jury | 我完全不知道要怎么样才能让陪审团 |
[11:10] | that can look past their own fears. | 无视他们的恐惧 |
[11:13] | That’s why we shouldn’t try. | 这也是我们不该这么做的原因 |
[11:15] | In fact, we should do just the opposite. | 事实上 我们要做的恰恰相反 |
[11:18] | We should scare the living daylights out of ’em. | 我们应该把他们吓得半死 |
[11:20] | People are predisposed | 大家倾向于 |
[11:22] | to convicting Natalie because they want to believe | 认定纳塔利有罪 因为他们想要相信 |
[11:23] | that the danger has passed. | 危险已经过去 |
[11:25] | So what we need to do is convince the jury… | 所以我们要做的是说服陪审团 |
[11:28] | that it hasn’t. | 危险依然存在 |
[11:30] | Anybody remember the last time | 有人还记得之前发生的 |
[11:33] | we had a series of anthrax attacks? | 一系列炭疽热袭击事件吗 |
[11:36] | It was right after 9/11, wasn’t it? | 正好发生在九月十一号之后 是吗 |
[11:38] | Yes, yes. Very good. | 是的没错 非常好 |
[11:40] | And do you remember how long | 那么你还记得 |
[11:42] | it took for them to find the perpetrator? | 他们花了多久才找到罪犯吗 |
[11:45] | I seem to recall it was pretty quick. | 我记得好像很快 |
[11:47] | Indeed it was. | 的确如此 |
[11:48] | Attorney General John Ashcroft | 司法部长约翰·阿什克罗夫特 |
[11:51] | publicly named former biodefense researcher Steven Jay Hatfill | 曾公开表示前生物防御系统研究员 |
[11:55] | as a person of interest in the attacks. | 史蒂文·杰伊·哈特菲尔对袭击事件很感兴趣 |
[11:58] | FBI tapped his phone. | FBI监听了他的电话 |
[12:01] | He lost his job, couldn’t get another one. | 他因此丢掉了工作 没办法再就业 |
[12:03] | Almost committed suicide. | 差点自杀 |
[12:05] | Then, in 2008, | 然后在2008年 |
[12:07] | everyone suddenly realized | 大家突然意识到 |
[12:09] | that they were persecuting the wrong man. | 他们控诉错了人 |
[12:12] | So here’s my question to you. | 所以我的问题是 |
[12:14] | How many of you folks believe that, | 在你们之中有多少人相信 |
[12:16] | of course, with all the best intentions in the world, | 当然 这是毫无冒犯之意的 |
[12:20] | people whose job it is to root out the bad guys | 那些以铲除坏人为职责的人 |
[12:23] | sometimes get it wrong? | 有时候也会犯错 |
[12:33] | Now we’re getting somewhere. | 有点进展了 |
[12:37] | Means, motive and opportunity… | 手法 动机和时机 |
[12:39] | They must feel they have it, | 他们肯定觉得自己掌握了这些 |
[12:40] | or they wouldn’t have brought the case. | 否则不会提起诉讼 |
[12:41] | For those of us who didn’t go to law school, | 对我们这些没读过法学院的人来说 |
[12:43] | what does “Means” mean again? | “手法”是什么意思 |
[12:44] | It means she could do it; she had the tools necessary. | 这指她有能力做这件事并且有必要的工具 |
[12:47] | In this case, anthrax. She worked at a place | 在炭疽热的案子里 她在一个 |
[12:50] | where anthrax was readily available. | 能轻易接触到炭疽杆菌的地方工作 |
[12:52] | Yeah, but there’s more to it than that. | 没错 但事实远不止这些 |
[12:55] | Every expert I’ve spoken with said the same thing. | 我交谈过的每一位专家都说了同一件事 |
[12:57] | Researchers work with wet anthrax spores. | 研究人员的研究对象是湿润的炭疽孢子 |
[13:01] | To make a-a powder that can be sent in the mail, | 要想制作能够被邮寄的粉末 |
[13:03] | you have to use dry anthrax spores, | 需要使用干燥的炭疽孢子 |
[13:04] | and in order to dry them, you have to use a very specific, | 为了干燥他们 需要使用一种特地 |
[13:07] | very large piece of equipment built just for that purpose. | 为这个目的而建造的非常大的特殊装置 |
[13:09] | Which, of course, they have at the lab? | 他们实验室里正好有这种装置吗 |
[13:11] | Which, of course, they have at the lab. | 他们实验室里正好就有 |
[13:12] | But all of that takes time. | 但是所有步骤都需要时间 |
[13:14] | Stealing the anthrax. Drying the anthrax. | 偷掉炭疽杆菌 干燥炭疽杆菌 |
[13:17] | I’ve skimmed over this grand jury transcript three times… | 我已经把大陪审团的审讯记录看了三遍 |
[13:20] | I’ve yet to see an explanation | 至今还没发现对于 |
[13:21] | for when Natalie would have been able to do that | 纳塔利何时能够做到这些事 |
[13:23] | without raising suspicion. | 而不引起怀疑所作出的解释 |
[13:25] | Obviously, they are saving their biggest surprises for trial. | 显然 他们把最大的惊喜留到了审判阶段 |
[13:28] | I’ll give you another one. | 我来给你另一个惊喜 |
[13:31] | So, the FBI was able to determine that all the anthrax letters | FBI能够确定所有的炭疽杆菌信件 |
[13:34] | were mailed from this mailbox | 都是在八小时内 |
[13:36] | within a specific eight-hour period. | 从这个邮箱寄出的 |
[13:38] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[13:39] | Well, since I’m the only one here | 考虑到我是在场唯一一个 |
[13:41] | who hasn’t worked for Homeland or FBI, | 不在国土安全或者FBI工作的人 |
[13:42] | can someone tell me how they do that? | 有人能告诉我他们是怎么做到的吗 |
[13:45] | When you drop a letter into a government mailbox, | 当把一封信投进政府邮箱的时候 |
[13:47] | it goes into a bin that’s location-specific and time-coded. | 它会被放在一个具有特定位置和时间编码的箱子里 |
[13:50] | When that bin is carried back to the general post office | 当这个箱子被运回邮政总局处理时 |
[13:52] | for processing and your letter is postmarked, | 你的信盖上了邮戳 |
[13:54] | it carries all that information with it. | 上面就携带着以上所有信息 |
[13:57] | Wow. That’s really cool. | 真厉害 |
[14:00] | And more than a little scary. | 而且还挺可怕 |
[14:03] | Back to the pictures. | 言归正传 |
[14:05] | All right, so, the FBI examined security footage | 联调局查看了同一时间段里 |
[14:07] | from area cameras taken during the same time frame. | 该地区的监控录像 |
[14:09] | They were able to eliminate all but three people | 寄信的人中他们排除了无关人员 |
[14:12] | who mailed letters during that period. | 最后剩下三个 |
[14:13] | Wha…? And how were they able to do that? | 什么… 他们怎么做到的 |
[14:15] | How could they tell from these… grainy photos | 他们怎么从这些…模糊的照片中分辨出 |
[14:18] | who’s mailing anthrax and who isn’t? | 是谁在邮寄炭疽菌呢 |
[14:21] | Well, I can’t be sure, but my suspicion is, | 我不能确定 但是我怀疑 |
[14:24] | what they really did | 他们真正做的 |
[14:25] | was basically eliminate everyone who didn’t look like Natalie. | 基本就是排除了所有看着不像纳塔利的人 |
[14:28] | There is your detective myopia that Bull keeps talking about. | 这就是布尔一直说的近视侦探 |
[14:31] | And that left them with three people who did look like Natalie? | 这样就剩下了三个看起来像纳塔利的人 |
[14:34] | Well, it left them with three people, | 只剩下三个人 |
[14:36] | like this person here. | 这个 |
[14:39] | Or this person here. | 这个 |
[14:42] | Or this person here. | 和这个 |
[14:46] | People who don’t really look like anyone in particular. | 这些看起来谁都不像的人 |
[14:49] | At least not as far as I can tell. | 至少我是看不出来 |
[14:51] | So what am I gonna tell Bull? | 那我要怎么跟布尔说 |
[14:53] | Opening arguments, testimony start tomorrow morning. | 开庭辩论和证人作证明天上午就开始了 |
[14:57] | What in the world am I gonna tell Bull? | 我到底能跟布尔说点什么 |
[15:00] | Tell him that Danny and I are putting together dossiers | 告诉他 我和丹尼正在收集与纳塔利共事过的 |
[15:02] | on everyone Natalie works with, and… | 所有人的资料 而且… |
[15:05] | That our strategy hasn’t changed. | 我们的策略没有变 |
[15:07] | To get the jury and the public to let go of the idea | 要让陪审团和公众放弃纳塔利是 |
[15:10] | that Natalie is the mastermind behind these attacks, | 这场恐怖袭击的幕后主谋的想法 |
[15:12] | we have to… come up with another credible suspect. | 我们必须… 找出另一个可信的嫌犯 |
[15:16] | And we will. | 而且我们一定会的 |
[15:24] | Now, Dr. Poulson, as a researcher | 珀森博士 作为哈德逊大学实验室 |
[15:27] | in the Medical Countermeasures Unit | 医疗对策协会的 |
[15:29] | at Hudson University Laboratories, | 一名研究员 |
[15:31] | you frequently work shoulder-to-shoulder with Natalie Reznick, | 你经常与纳塔利·雷兹尼并肩共事 |
[15:35] | – don’t you? – Yes, I do. | – 是吗 – 是的 经常的事 |
[15:37] | Now, it’s against the lab’s standard operating procedures | 那么 任何人单独工作都是违反 |
[15:41] | for anyone to work alone? | 实验室标准操作程序的吗 |
[15:43] | – That’s correct, yes. – And to your knowledge, | – 没错 是的 – 据你所知 |
[15:45] | Dr. Poulson, did Dr. Reznick | 珀森博士 雷兹尼博士是否 |
[15:48] | ever simply disregard this tenet of standard operating procedure? | 无视过标准操作程序的原则呢 |
[15:54] | Yes, I believe she may have. Once. | 是的 我确定她可能有过一次 |
[15:57] | About a week before the attacks. | 大约在袭击发生的一周之前 |
[15:59] | You’re referring to the evening | 你是说十一号的 |
[16:01] | – of the 11th? – I don’t know what he’s talking about. | – 晚上吗 – 我不知道他在说什么 |
[16:03] | It was late. We were the only two people in the lab. | 那天很晚了 实验室里只有我们两个人 |
[16:06] | And at around 7:00 p.m., I got summoned | 在晚上七点左右 我被叫到 |
[16:08] | to the chancellor’s office for a call with D.C. | 校长办公室和国防部通话 |
[16:11] | Much of the work we do at our labs | 我们在实验室做的很多工作都与 |
[16:15] | is in partnership with the Department of Defense, | 国防部有合作关系 |
[16:18] | so when they say jump, we jump. | 所以当他们说暂停 我们就暂停 |
[16:22] | And I told Natalie to… | 然后我就让纳塔利… |
[16:24] | clean up and that we would finish up another day. | 清理实验室 准备之后再继续 |
[16:28] | So I left her unattended. | 所以我让她独自留下了 |
[16:31] | Which, as the senior researcher, I shouldn’t have done. | 作为一名高级研究员 我不该那么做 |
[16:35] | But she assured me that she would just take a few minutes | 但是她向我保证 她只需要几分钟 |
[16:38] | – and then she would leave. – Just to be clear. | – 然后就会离开 – 我们确认一下 |
[16:41] | Your expectation was that Dr. Reznick | 你期望雷兹尼博士会 |
[16:44] | would take five, maybe ten minutes | 用五到十分钟时间 |
[16:46] | to clean up the lab and then leave. | 清理实验室然后离开 |
[16:47] | Correct? | 对吗 |
[16:49] | That was my assumption, yes. | 对 那是我的设想 |
[16:51] | Dr. Poulson… | 珀森博士 |
[16:53] | this is a single frame | 这是从当晚拍摄的 |
[16:55] | from security footage taken from the night in question. | 安保监控录像中得到的一个画面 |
[16:59] | It shows someone leaving the laboratory complex at Hudson. | 上面显示有人正在离开哈德逊实验室综合大楼 |
[17:02] | Can you identify that person? | 你能认出这个人吗 |
[17:04] | – It’s Dr. Reznick. – And could you read | – 这是雷兹尼博士 – 麻烦你读出 |
[17:07] | the time stamp on the photo for us, please? | 这幅画面上的时间标识 好吗 |
[17:10] | 9:26 p.m. | 晚上九点二十六分 |
[17:12] | 9:26 p.m. | 晚上九点二十六分 |
[17:15] | Two and a half hours after you left the lab, correct? | 在你离开实验室两个半小时之后 对吗 |
[17:19] | Yes. | 没错 |
[17:20] | Dr. Poulson, | 珀森博士 |
[17:22] | in your professional opinion, if Dr. Reznick had been alone | 以你的专业看法 如果雷兹尼博士独自待在 |
[17:25] | in that lab, not just for a few minutes to clean up, | 实验室里 不是花几分钟做了清理 |
[17:27] | but for several hours, would that have given her enough time | 而是待了几个小时 这样能否给她足够的时间 |
[17:31] | to dry the anthrax spores into a powder | 把炭疽孢子干燥成粉末 |
[17:34] | and sneak them out of the lab? | 然后把它们偷偷带出实验室 |
[17:36] | Objection, Your Honor! Calls for speculation. | 反对 法官大人 这是引导证人推测 |
[17:39] | Your Honor, Dr. Poulson is a microbiologist. | 法官大人 珀森博士是一位微生物学家 |
[17:42] | I’m simply asking him for his professional opinion. | 我只是在询问他的专业意见 |
[17:45] | Objection overruled. | 反对无效 |
[17:46] | I’ll allow him to answer. | 允许证人回答 |
[17:50] | I believe it would have, yes. | 是的 我相信时间足够 |
[17:53] | No further questions | 没有其他问题了 |
[17:55] | for now, Your Honor. | 法官大人 |
[18:04] | Dr. Poulson. | 珀森博士 |
[18:06] | Really appreciate you being here today. | 很感激你今天能到庭 |
[18:08] | Now, I know we’ve heard a lot of speculation | 我知道我们已经听到了很多猜测 |
[18:11] | about what might have happened, what could have happened, | 可能发生了什么事 能够发生过什么事 |
[18:14] | but you are a scientist. | 但是你是位科学家 |
[18:17] | You deal with the physical facts of the world. | 你和世界上的客观事实打交道 |
[18:20] | So let’s get back to that. | 那么我们再回顾一下 |
[18:23] | Do you have any proof | 你有证据证明 |
[18:25] | that Dr. Reznick stayed in the lab alone | 雷兹尼博士独自留在实验室的时间 |
[18:28] | any longer than she told you she would? | 比她告诉你的更长吗 |
[18:31] | Well, based on the time stamp… | 根据时间标识… |
[18:33] | Oh, no, no. That time stamp only proves | 不不不 那个时间标识只能证明 |
[18:36] | what time she left the building, | 她离开那栋大楼的时间 |
[18:38] | which was two and a half hours after you did. | 也就是在你离开后的两个半小时 |
[18:42] | Nowhere does it indicate | 它本身没有显示 |
[18:43] | what time she left the lab itself, does it? | 她什么时间离开了实验室 有吗 |
[18:48] | No, it doesn’t. | 不 没有 |
[18:50] | Now, Dr. Reznick maintains she left the lab | 雷兹尼博士坚称她按照约定 |
[18:55] | as promised and spent the remainder of that time | 离开了实验室 然后在剩下的时间里 |
[18:58] | in her office typing a report of the day’s work. | 到她的办公室写了当天的工作报告 |
[19:02] | In fact… | 事实上 |
[19:04] | you reviewed that very report the next morning, didn’t you? | 第二天上午你就审阅了那份报告 是不是 |
[19:07] | It’s quite possible. | 很可能 |
[19:09] | I often review the reports from the previous night | 我经常在第二天上午审阅前一天晚上的 |
[19:12] | – the next morning. – I see. | – 报告 – 明白了 |
[19:13] | And before the FBI informed you that Dr. Reznick was a suspect, | 那么在联调局告知你雷兹尼博士是一名嫌犯之前 |
[19:17] | did you have any reason to suspect her of this crime? | 你有过什么理由怀疑她犯下了这桩罪行吗 |
[19:21] | No. | 没有 |
[19:25] | I’ve always believed Natalie to be trustworthy and… | 我一直都相信纳塔利是一位值得信任而且 |
[19:28] | a passionate scientist. | 热情饱满的科学家 |
[19:30] | And I’m still inclined to believe so. | 且我现在仍然会选择相信她 |
[19:33] | I mean, hon… | 我是说 坦白… |
[19:34] | honestly… | 坦白说 |
[19:36] | I hope the version of events you just laid out is the truth. | 我希望你刚才陈述的版本才是事实 |
[19:41] | Thank you very much, Dr. Poulson. | 感激不尽 珀森博士 |
[19:44] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[19:48] | Redirect? | 再次询问 |
[19:50] | Regardless of what you might hope, | 不管你希望怎样 |
[19:53] | Dr. Poulson, | 珀森博士 |
[19:55] | doesn’t the fact remain that a pathogen was stolen | 一份病原体被人从你的实验室偷走了 |
[19:58] | from your lab? | 依然属实吧 |
[20:00] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:01] | And based on your own testimony, | 基于你自己的证词 |
[20:03] | wouldn’t you agree that Dr. Reznick was the only researcher | 你是否认可 雷兹尼博士是唯一可能 |
[20:08] | who could possibly have had an opportunity | 有机会这么做的 |
[20:10] | – to do it? – Asked and answered, Your Honor. | – 研究员 – 问题已经回答过 法官大人 |
[20:12] | Counsel is badgering the witness. | 控方律师在纠缠证人 |
[20:14] | I’ll withdraw the question, Your Honor. | 我收回这个问题 法官大人 |
[20:17] | How’s the view from where you’re sitting? | 你那边的情况怎么样 |
[20:19] | The only good news is, it can’t get any worse. | 唯一的好消息 不会更糟了 |
[20:35] | I’m awake. It’s okay. | 我醒着呢 没事 |
[20:37] | Partying all night with Astrid again, huh? | 又跟阿思翠开心了一晚上 是吧 |
[20:40] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[20:43] | I was sitting in the living room at 3:00 in the morning, | 凌晨三点的时候 我正坐在客厅里 |
[20:46] | little Astrid up on my shoulder. | 小阿思翠趴在我的肩膀上 |
[20:48] | I was trying to get a burp out of her. | 我试着给她拍个嗝 |
[20:50] | And I flip on the news, and we’re everywhere. | 我扫了一眼新闻 到处都是我们的消息 |
[20:52] | Every channel. | 所有的频道 |
[20:54] | And if it is our intention to convince the jury | 如果我们的计划是说服陪审团 |
[20:57] | that the real anthrax killer is still out there, | 真正的炭疽杀手依然逍遥法外 |
[21:00] | well, the national media has not picked up on it. | 那么 官方媒体还没有关注到这一点 |
[21:03] | Which means… | 也就是说 |
[21:05] | we’re failing. | 我们要败诉了 |
[21:08] | Well, you don’t know that. | 这可说不准 |
[21:10] | Our target’s the jury, not cable news. | 我们要搞定的是陪审团 而不是电视台 |
[21:12] | But the world of cable news is the world | 但是他们晚上回家总归是要 |
[21:14] | these jurors go home to every night. | 打开电视的 |
[21:16] | And if the CNNs and the Foxes and the CNBCs aren’t buying | 如果CNN 福克斯和CNBC这些电视台 |
[21:19] | our version of events, | 都不认同我们的说法 |
[21:20] | then neither are the jurors’ families or neighbors. | 那些陪审员的家人和邻居也更不会相信了 |
[21:24] | And we all know they’re not supposed to talk about the case | 虽然我们都知道陪审员是不该谈论案情 |
[21:28] | or watch the news about it… | 或是收看相关节目的 |
[21:32] | but they do. | 但那只是妄想 |
[21:33] | I’m sorry, Bull, but I think you’re being a little premature. | 不好意思 布尔 我觉得你的想法有点不成熟 |
[21:37] | The prosecution is still presenting their case, | 现在还只是控方陈述案情的阶段 |
[21:39] | and we haven’t even gotten our turn. | 我们的机会还在后头 |
[21:42] | I know. But we can’t wait until then. | 我知道 但是我们不能拖那么久 |
[21:44] | We have to go on the offensive now. | 现在就得着手反击了 |
[21:46] | We got to use every objection, every cross to hammer home | 我们要利用好每次反对以及讯问的机会 |
[21:49] | how dangerous it will be if the jury gets this one wrong. | 好让陪审团想清楚错判的后果究竟有多严重 |
[21:53] | The killer is still out there. | 尤其是凶手依旧逍遥法外 |
[21:57] | My wife, my-my wife Katie, | 我的妻子 凯蒂 |
[21:59] | she didn’t aspire to a political life. | 她以前对投身政治并不感兴趣 |
[22:02] | I mean, heck, when I met her in grad school, | 当我们在研究生院相遇的时候 |
[22:04] | she didn’t even read the paper. | 她连时事热点也不甚关注 |
[22:05] | But then we fell in love, and the next thing you know, | 但随着我们坠入爱河 紧接着 |
[22:08] | I’m running for office and then we’re out there together | 我去参加了选举 她便和我一起参与到 |
[22:12] | on the campaign trail. | 竞选活动当中 |
[22:14] | Oh, she was a natural. | 这一切对她来说仿佛信手拈来 |
[22:16] | I mean, she loved people. | 她爱着选民们 |
[22:18] | And people sensed it and they loved her right back. | 人们能感受到 并将其回馈到她身上 |
[22:23] | You see, I take enormous pride in being a congressman. | 尽管国会议员的身份让我感到无比自豪 |
[22:27] | But the thought that my job, | 但每每想到我的工作 |
[22:29] | that my commitment to public service | 我对公众事业的付出 |
[22:31] | somehow contributed to her d-death… | 却在某种意义上给她带来厄运… |
[22:36] | It’s all right, Congressman Connors. | 节哀顺变 康纳议员 |
[22:39] | No further questions. | 我没有要问的了 |
[22:40] | Uh, Bull, it’s not looking good here. | 布尔 情况有点不太妙 |
[22:43] | This jury really feels for the congressman. | 陪审团都对议员的遭遇抱以同情 |
[22:46] | Of course they do. So do I. | 这是人之常情 我也同情他 |
[22:48] | But that doesn’t mean his pain is Natalie’s fault. | 但这并不意味着这一切就是纳塔利的错了 |
[22:51] | Congressman Connors. | 康纳议员 |
[22:53] | I’d just like to say how profoundly sorry I am for your loss. | 我对您的不幸遭遇表示哀悼 |
[22:58] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[22:59] | Now, much has been made of the fact | 回到正题 我们有不少的证据显示 |
[23:01] | that you were a part of a long list of legislators | 雷兹尼博士在她的研究计划被切断资金来源后 |
[23:05] | Dr. Reznick reached out to in the wake | 曾联系过多名立法委员会成员 |
[23:07] | of a funding cut to her research program. | 而您是其中之一 |
[23:10] | Now, do you recall Dr. Reznick’s | 请问 您能回忆起雷兹尼博士是否 |
[23:14] | message to you to be threatening in any way? | 在她的信中表达出任何威胁的意向吗 |
[23:16] | Honestly, I don’t. | 实话实说 没有 |
[23:18] | You see, my staff filters my e-mails, so I only learned about | 因为我的电子邮件是由我的员工筛选管理的 |
[23:23] | that message in the, in the aftermath of my wife’s passing. | 所以我也是在我妻子过世之后才了解到这件事 |
[23:28] | But, no, it did not appear to be threatening. | 不过 那封电邮并没有表露出任何恶意 |
[23:31] | But I imagine your office must receive | 但我想 您的办公室也会时不时地 |
[23:34] | threatening e-mails from time to time? | 收到威胁邮件对吗 |
[23:37] | Yes, unfortunately, in my line of work, | 是的 令人感到遗憾的是 我这一行 |
[23:39] | you have to make tough choices sometimes, | 在做某些决定的时候的确是左右为难的 |
[23:41] | choices that anger people, | 这些决定会让人们感到生气 |
[23:43] | and occasionally those people do lash out. | 他们有时候也会想办法出气 |
[23:46] | How many threats would you estimate that you’ve received | 您能大致回忆一下您在国会供职的这七年间 |
[23:50] | in the seven years that you’ve been in Congress? | 您收到过多少的威胁信息吗 |
[23:53] | Uh, like I said, my staff filters my communications, | 正如我前面所述 我的员工会帮我筛选来往的邮件 |
[23:59] | so there’s really no way for me to know. | 所以对此我并不清楚 |
[24:01] | Well, my office inquired. | 我的公司收集到了相关信息 |
[24:04] | And according to your staff, it’s 102. | 根据您的员工所说 一共有一百零二封恐吓邮件 |
[24:09] | That’s how many unique threats | 这就是过去七年 |
[24:11] | your office has received in the past seven years. | 您的办公室所收到的恐吓信息的数量 |
[24:14] | 19 of those were death threats. | 其中有十九封还是死亡威胁 |
[24:17] | So let me ask you, | 那我这样问您 |
[24:20] | in the wake of these attacks, to the best of your knowledge, | 据您所知 在这几起袭击发生后 |
[24:26] | did the FBI investigate those 19 people | FBI是否调查过先前这十九个 |
[24:30] | who previously threatened to take your life? | 曾扬言要威胁您生命的嫌疑人 |
[24:33] | They may have. | 也许有吧 |
[24:35] | Honestly, I don’t know. | 老实说我并不清楚 |
[24:38] | You don’t know. | 连您也不清楚 |
[24:40] | Wow. That’s kind of unsettling. | 这可真让人感到担忧 |
[24:44] | I mean, did the FBI even ask you about | 那FBI又是否询问过 |
[24:47] | anyone who possibly could have had a vendetta against you | 您是否和他人结怨 |
[24:51] | during that time period? | 并招致报复呢 |
[24:53] | I don’t know. | 我不清楚 |
[24:55] | Well, then I truly am sorry for you, Congressman Connors. | 这样的话我真心为您感到遗憾 康纳议员 |
[25:00] | Not only for your tragic loss, but also because, | 不仅仅是因为您失去了挚爱之人 |
[25:03] | apparently, law enforcement seems more interested | 还因为执法人员明显更关心于 |
[25:06] | in scapegoating Natalie Reznick than it does | 让纳塔利·雷兹尼成为替罪羔羊 |
[25:09] | in making sure your wife’s real killer is off the streets. | 而不是将杀害您妻子的凶手抓捕归案 |
[25:12] | Objection. Counsel is testifying. | 我反对 辩方律师正在作证 |
[25:15] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[25:17] | The jury will disregard the defense’s last statement. | 辩方方才的发言陪审团应当不予采信 |
[25:20] | Ask a question, Mr. Colón. | 请提出问题 科隆先生 |
[25:22] | That’s all right, Your Honor. | 好的 法官阁下 |
[25:24] | I have no further questions at this time. | 现在我没有其他需要问的了 |
[25:26] | I’m sure you can’t see it yet, | 虽然你还不能察觉 |
[25:27] | but it finally feels like we’re making progress. | 但是我终于能看到有一丝好苗头了 |
[25:29] | The government will call its next witness, please. | 请控方传唤下一位证人 |
[25:31] | The government rests its case, Your Honor. | 我方选择结束陈述 法官阁下 |
[25:35] | Then the defense will call its first witness, please. | 那请辩方传唤你们的第一证人 |
[25:38] | My parents came to this country before I was born. | 在我出生前我的父母就来到了这个国家了 |
[25:41] | They were scientists in the Soviet Union, | 他们曾是前苏联的科学家 |
[25:43] | but they refused to toe the party line, | 却因为拒绝服从当局的指令 |
[25:45] | so their lives were in danger. | 而过着危机四伏的生活 |
[25:48] | They fled and they found sanctuary here, in America. | 他们逃离了苏联并在美国找到了栖身之所 |
[25:52] | And until the day they died, | 因此直到他们去世的那天 |
[25:54] | they never ceased being grateful for that. | 他们不曾有一天不是对此心怀感激的 |
[25:56] | And they raised me to be grateful, too. | 同样地 他们抱着这份感恩之心将我养育成人 |
[26:00] | I decided when I was | 当我还是个小女孩的时候 |
[26:03] | a very young girl that, when I grew up, | 我就决定了当我长大之后 |
[26:05] | I-I would help people somehow, | 我要力所能及地帮助别人 |
[26:07] | protect people somehow. | 保护别人 |
[26:10] | So, is that how you ended up researching cures | 所以这就是你决定投身于为致命生化武器 |
[26:13] | for deadly biological weapons? | 研发解药这项事业的缘由吗 |
[26:16] | Uh, well, it was… | 这… |
[26:18] | It was part of it, sure. | 不完全是 |
[26:20] | A love of science. | 出于对科学的热爱吧 |
[26:23] | I don’t know. It-it-it gives me a sense of satisfaction, | 我不知道怎么形容 它带给了我一种满足感 |
[26:27] | like I’m-I’m pulling my own weight, | 仿佛我正在出自己的一份力 |
[26:28] | I’m doing my share. | 作出了一定的贡献 |
[26:31] | I am showing my gratitude. | 我想让这个社会看到我的感激之情 |
[26:33] | So the idea that you would hurt | 所以说如果你想要为了一己私利 |
[26:36] | or kill fellow Americans for your own personal gain… | 而伤害或是杀害你的美国同胞… |
[26:40] | Is absurd. | 那便是无稽之谈 |
[26:42] | To do the work that I do, | 如果要从事我所从事的工作 |
[26:44] | you have… You have to become a doctor. | 你需要做到医者仁心 |
[26:46] | I’m-I’m a doctor. | 这对于我来说也一样 |
[26:49] | I took an oath to save lives. | 我早已立下誓言要挽救他人的性命 |
[26:51] | Why would I knowingly set out to hurt anyone? | 我又有什么理由去故意伤害别人 |
[26:55] | Kill anyone? | 或是置他人于死地呢 |
[26:57] | Thank you, Dr. Reznick. | 谢谢你 雷兹尼博士 |
[26:59] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 我没有要问的了 法官阁下 |
[27:02] | They look engaged to me, receptive. | 他们看起来很投入 很专注 |
[27:04] | Open body language. | 肢体语言也释放出信息 |
[27:06] | A couple jurors are starting to lean in. | 有些陪审员已经身体前倾 |
[27:08] | Does that line up with what you’re seeing? | 这些符合你所看到的吗 |
[27:10] | Sure does. | 没错 |
[27:11] | They’re starting to find Natalie credible, | 他们开始觉得纳塔利是可信的了 |
[27:13] | and a few of them are now firmly on her side. | 其中有一小撮已经坚定不移地站在她那一边了 |
[27:16] | So, | 那么 |
[27:18] | Dr. Reznick, | 雷兹尼博士 |
[27:20] | the pleasure you take from your work | 你的工作所带给你的愉悦 |
[27:21] | is fundamentally altruistic, right? | 是带有纯粹的利他性的 对吗 |
[27:25] | I mean, you want to pull your own weight. | 你想出自己的一份力 |
[27:28] | You want to do your share. | 作出自己的贡献 |
[27:31] | And, most of all, you want to help people, huh? | 更重要的是 你想帮助别人 对吧 |
[27:35] | Protect people. | 保护别人 |
[27:36] | This is what you just testified to, correct? | 这些是你刚刚作证的 对吗 |
[27:40] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:41] | And you would never want to hurt anyone. | 而你也从未想过要伤害别人 |
[27:42] | You certainly wouldn’t want to see anyone die. | 也肯定不会想看到有任何人失去生命 |
[27:45] | I mean, the work you do, | 也就是说 你从所从事的工作 |
[27:47] | your very reason for being, | 你所做一切的根源 |
[27:49] | is all about saving lives. | 都无外乎拯救生命 |
[27:52] | Is that correct? | 我说的对吗 |
[27:54] | That is what I said, yes. | 是的 那是我所表述的 |
[27:56] | Interesting. | 有意思 |
[27:57] | Because I have a video | 因为我有一份视频证据 |
[27:59] | of an academic conference you participated in, | 记录了你参加的一次学术会议 |
[28:02] | which would seem to suggest otherwise. | 当时的情形与你所言格格不入 |
[28:05] | Uh… Objection. | 反对 |
[28:06] | Your Honor, this is the first | 法官阁下 在此之前 |
[28:08] | the defense has heard of any video. | 辩方律师并未得知有视频证据 |
[28:11] | – The AUSA knows… – Your Honor, a concerned citizen | – 联邦助理检察官明白… – 法官阁下 一位热心市民 |
[28:13] | – sent this video to our office… – …he has a duty to disclose | – 昨天才将这段视频… – …他有义务公开 |
[28:15] | – any and all… – …only just yesterday. | – 全部的… -…送到了我的办公室 |
[28:16] | Enough! Both of you. | 行了 两位律师 |
[28:18] | Mr. Reynolds, | 瑞诺律师 |
[28:20] | I’m gonna take you at your word and allow this. | 我接受你说的情况并允许你继续 |
[28:23] | Mr. Colón, I will give you ample time to prepare | 科隆律师 如果你需要进行再主询问 |
[28:26] | should you choose to redirect. | 我将给你充足的准备时间 |
[28:28] | Let’s proceed. | 我们继续 |
[28:31] | Is that you up there, Dr. Reznick, | 雷兹尼博士 视频中是你本人吗 |
[28:33] | on the stage, in the video? | 讲台上的那位 |
[28:35] | It is. Yes. | 是的 |
[28:36] | Do you recall when this video was taken? | 你记得这是什么时候拍的吗 |
[28:39] | Um, I-I believe | 那应该是 |
[28:41] | it was an ethics panel at a microbiology conference | 一次微生物学研讨会上的职业道德讨论 |
[28:45] | about… ten years ago. | 大约…十年前 |
[28:48] | I was still a postgrad. | 当时我还是一名研究生 |
[28:52] | I have a hypothetical question for you, Dr. Reznick. | 雷兹尼医生 我想作一个假设性的提问 |
[28:56] | Okay. | 好的 |
[28:57] | If an unknown deadly virus or bacteria | 假如一个单独的群体面临 |
[29:00] | were to infect an isolated group of people, | 某种未知致命病毒或细菌的传染 |
[29:03] | what, in your opinion, | 以你的观点 |
[29:04] | is the best course of action? | 最好的应对方式是什么 |
[29:09] | if there was a chance to contain the outbreak within that group, | 如果有可能在这个群体内控制疾病爆发 |
[29:14] | I’d say that the only choice | 我想说只有唯一的选择 |
[29:15] | is to quarantine the infected… | 那就是隔离感染者… |
[29:19] | Nobody in, nobody out… | 禁止任何人进入或离开… |
[29:20] | And then watch the, uh, progression of the disease. | 观察疫情的发展 |
[29:24] | Even if the disease were deadly? | 即使在危及生命的情况下吗 |
[29:26] | Well, if you don’t know what the pathogen is, | 如果对病原体一无所知 |
[29:28] | treating the symptoms may be futile. | 任何救治都可能是无效的 |
[29:30] | You’re going to have to let in medical workers, | 你不得不让医护人员接近患者 |
[29:34] | and then, at some point, | 而某些情况下 |
[29:35] | you’re going to have to let them back out, | 你又不得不让他们离开 |
[29:36] | and they very well may carry | 结果这就非常可能 |
[29:38] | whatever it is to the general population. | 把病毒传播给大众 |
[29:40] | So, yeah, | 所以 是的 |
[29:42] | harsh as it sounds, | 听起来是很残酷 |
[29:44] | quarantine. | 隔离 |
[29:46] | Because, unfortunately, | 不幸的是 |
[29:48] | sometimes five have to die to save 5,000. | 有时为了救五千人 不得不牺牲五个人 |
[30:00] | “Sometimes five have to die to save 5,000.” | “有时为了救五千人 不得不牺牲五个人” |
[30:08] | Is that why you sent the anthrax through the mail, Dr. Reznick? | 所以你邮寄了炭疽病毒 对吗 雷兹尼博士 |
[30:11] | Because you thought it would be okay to kill two | 因为你认为用两个人的牺牲 |
[30:15] | if it meant recovering the funds | 换回研制解药所需的资金 |
[30:18] | that you needed in order to find a cure? | 是合情合理的吗 |
[30:20] | Objection. | 反对 |
[30:22] | Facts not in evidence. | 没有证据的事实 |
[30:23] | Speculation. | 推测 |
[30:25] | Badgering. | 纠缠证人 |
[30:26] | Should I go on? | 需要我继续列举吗 |
[30:27] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[30:29] | That is part of a larger conversation. | 那只是更高层次的讨论的一部分 |
[30:31] | You lifted that out of context. | 你在断章取义 |
[30:33] | – Dr. Reznick. – And organically contracting | – 雷兹尼博士 – 疾病的自然传播 |
[30:35] | a disease is fundamentally different | 与人为的蓄意传播 |
[30:37] | – than intentionally infecting someone. – Dr. Reznick. | – 有着本质区别 – 雷兹尼博士 |
[30:39] | Dr. Reznick. | 雷兹尼博士 |
[30:41] | Your attorney was making an objection on your behalf. | 你的律师正在为你提出反对 |
[30:44] | In the future, when an attorney makes an objection, | 在接下来的审理中 当律师提出反对时 |
[30:47] | please refrain from answering until I’ve rendered my decision | 请在我作出决定后 |
[30:50] | on the objection. | 再回答提问 |
[30:52] | I will let the witness’s statement remain in the record. | 证人的证词请记录在案 |
[30:56] | Let’s take a ten-minute break and allow everyone to cool down. | 现在休庭十分钟 请各位调整状态 |
[30:59] | – The witness will remain… – How’s this playing where you are? | – 请证人留下… – 你那边的情况如何 |
[31:00] | Not terribly well. | 大势不妙 |
[31:01] | I’m afraid we lost all our greens, Bull. | 布尔 陪审团一致倾向控方 |
[31:03] | We will continue her testimony at that time. | 届时将继续询问证人 |
[31:11] | – So, how was dinner? – Not great. | – 晚餐如何 – 不怎么样 |
[31:13] | I wasn’t hungry. I’d been eating | 我不饿 整个下午 |
[31:15] | my small intestine all afternoon. | 我都在咀嚼我的小肠 |
[31:17] | I promise you, | 我向你保证 |
[31:18] | it was as difficult to listen to over here | 我在这儿听的过程 |
[31:20] | as I’m sure it was for you to witness in person. | 一点也不比你出庭的感觉好受 |
[31:25] | The problem is, was, | 一直困扰我们的问题 |
[31:27] | and continues to be we’ve presented the jury | 而且还将继续存在的问题是 |
[31:29] | with no real alternatives to our client. | 我们无法提供一个除被告以外的嫌犯 |
[31:31] | We keep insisting it must be someone else, but… | 我们一直坚称凶手另有其人 但… |
[31:33] | – we never say who. – Yeah. | – 说不出是谁 – 是啊 |
[31:35] | Bull’s hitting the nail on the head, Marissa. | 玛丽莎 布尔的话一针见血 |
[31:38] | Every time I feel like we’re making progress, | 每次我感觉有所进展 |
[31:40] | every time I feel a hint of traction with this jury, | 感觉陪审团有所改观 |
[31:43] | it all slips away. | 但总是好景不长 |
[31:44] | That’s because they have no one else to consider but Natalie. | 因为除了纳塔利 他们没其他目标 |
[31:48] | I hear you. And all I can tell you is that… | 我懂 而且我想告诉你的是… |
[31:50] | Danny, Chunk, and Taylor… | 丹尼 特朗科 还有泰勒… |
[31:52] | Who is standing right next to me… | 她就在我身边… |
[31:55] | They’re all beating the bushes, | 他们都在竭尽全力 |
[31:57] | trying to find someone who could have plausibly pulled this off. | 希望能找出有可能实施犯罪的嫌疑人 |
[32:00] | Dr. Bull, did you get a chance | 布尔博士 你能不能 |
[32:01] | to go through those dossiers I prepared for you? | 看一看我给你准备的这些文件 |
[32:03] | There’s material there on almost 50 lab employees, | 这些材料涉及近五十名实验室员工 |
[32:06] | all of whom have access to anthrax. | 他们全都有渠道获取炭疽病毒 |
[32:08] | I’m getting through them as fast as I can, Taylor. | 我会尽快排查这些资料的 泰勒 |
[32:11] | But it’s not as if anyone flagged one of the employees | 但不会有哪份文件一语道破天机 |
[32:14] | and said, “Here’s a plausible suspect.” | 直接写着 “这就是嫌犯” |
[32:17] | Come on, Bull. We are all pulling | 好了 布尔 我们都在努力 |
[32:18] | on the same end of the rope here. | 我们的目标一致 |
[32:22] | What? The hell was that? | 发生了什么事 |
[32:23] | What’s going on over there? | 什么情况 |
[32:35] | is it… safe out here? | 待在这儿安全吗 |
[32:37] | Absolutely. | 绝对安全 |
[32:39] | My name is, uh, Jason Bull. | 我是杰森·布尔 |
[32:41] | This is my place of business. | 这是我的公司 |
[32:43] | I have two employees inside. | 我有两名员工在里面 |
[32:45] | Do you have any sense of when they’ll be able to come out? | 你知道她们什么时候能出来吗 |
[32:48] | They will be able to come out at some point, right? | 她们总会出来的 对吗 |
[32:51] | It’s gonna be quite a while. | 但不会很快 |
[32:53] | You might want to give them a call. | 你可以给她们打电话 |
[32:57] | How you guys feeling? | 你们感觉怎么样 |
[32:59] | At the moment? Absolutely fine. | 眼下吗 一切正常 |
[33:01] | A little hungry. | 有点饿 |
[33:03] | He asked. | 他问的 |
[33:04] | We can’t eat anything from the kitchen. | 厨房里的食物不能吃 |
[33:06] | Can’t eat anything until they give us the all clear | 在他们确定我们没事 准我们离开前 |
[33:08] | and we can get out of here. | 我们不能吃东西 |
[33:09] | We are gonna be fine. They’ve loaded us up with antibiotics. | 我们会没事的 我们被喂饱了抗生素 |
[33:12] | I think it’s primarily | 我想他们现在 |
[33:13] | about waiting for lab results at this point. | 主要是在等实验室的化验结果 |
[33:15] | Marissa, Taylor, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. | 玛丽莎 泰勒 我对你们的处境深感抱歉 |
[33:18] | They give you | 他们有没有说 |
[33:19] | any ETA on these tests? | 化验结果什么时候出来 |
[33:20] | Uh, they’ve estimated another three hours or so. | 他们估计还需三小时左右 |
[33:23] | Taylor, do you need us to swing by your place | 泰勒 需要我们到你家去看看 |
[33:26] | and pick up your son? | 帮你带孩子吗 |
[33:27] | Nope. He’s at his dad’s. | 不用了 他在他父亲那边 |
[33:29] | Thank goodness. | 幸好在那边 |
[33:30] | Hey, uh, guys, there’s nothing for you to do here. | 伙计们 你们在这儿帮不上忙 |
[33:33] | Why don’t you just head home? | 要不先回家去 |
[33:35] | Bull, I will text you as soon as they tell us anything. | 布尔 我会发消息告诉你新的情况 |
[33:38] | As soon as they let us out of here. | 以及我们何时能离开 |
[33:40] | Are you sure? I mean, | 你确定吗 我是说 |
[33:41] | I’m happy to stick around. | 我完全愿意待在这 |
[33:43] | We’re good. | 我们没事儿 |
[33:45] | – We’ve got each other. – Okay. | – 我们相互支持 – 好吧 |
[33:47] | Then I am going to go home, | 那我就回家了 |
[33:50] | kiss my baby, | 抱抱我的宝宝 |
[33:53] | and read some dossiers. | 再研究一下文件 |
[33:57] | Would you think I was a terrible person | 我有个想法 |
[33:59] | if I told you that, | 混蛋想法 |
[34:01] | as horrible as this must be for Marissa and Taylor, | 玛丽莎和泰勒要是真的遇险 |
[34:03] | there’s potentially a big upside to it? | 案件反而会有巨大转机 |
[34:07] | Oh, thank God. | 谢天谢地 |
[34:08] | I thought I was the only one whose mind worked that way. | 我以为只有我这样想呢 |
[34:11] | Natalie’s in jail. | 纳塔利在牢房里 |
[34:13] | So she couldn’t have done it. | 所以不可能是她干的 |
[34:15] | If the FBI and the CDC confirm | 如果FBI和CDC能够确认 |
[34:17] | that the handwriting is the same on the letter we got at TAC | 我们在指挥部收到的信上的笔迹 |
[34:20] | as on the envelopes that went out | 跟寄给议员和新闻播报员 |
[34:22] | to the congressman and the newscaster… | 信封上的笔迹是一样的… |
[34:24] | And that the construction of the gizmo | 以及为了能确保炭疽与人接触 |
[34:26] | that makes sure the anthrax makes contact with the person | 而设计出的这些花样 |
[34:29] | is similar… | 是类似的… |
[34:32] | I think our client is free and clear. | 我觉得我们的委托人与此毫无干系 |
[34:35] | I’ll make sure to keep all my digits crossed. | 我一定会认真祈祷的 |
[34:46] | Hello? | 你好 |
[34:49] | Marissa. | 玛丽莎 |
[34:51] | Tell me what’s going on. | 告诉我发生了什么 |
[34:55] | On your way home? | 你怎么回家了 |
[34:57] | Uh, that’s great. | 真是太好了 |
[34:59] | Great to hear. | 听到你这么说真好 |
[35:04] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[35:05] | They certain of that? Powdered sugar? | 他们确定吗 是糖粉 |
[35:10] | Yeah, that is funny. | 确实很奇怪 |
[35:12] | If Taylor had only licked her fingers, | 只要泰勒舔一舔她的手指 |
[35:14] | she wouldn’t have been hungry anymore. | 就不会饿着了 |
[35:18] | Well, the two of you get something to eat, | 你们两个先吃点东西 |
[35:20] | get some sleep, and I’ll see you in the morning. | 好好睡一觉 我们明天早上见 |
[35:24] | Night. | 晚安 |
[35:29] | You have no idea how happy I am | 你不知道我有多开心 |
[35:32] | to be standing here, talking to you. | 能站在这里和你讲话 |
[35:36] | You have no idea how happy I am to be talked to. | 你不知道 还能和你聊天我有多开心 |
[35:40] | Just a copycat. | 只是个模仿犯 |
[35:42] | Copycat with powdered sugar trying to intimidate us. | 这个模仿犯用糖粉是为了恐吓我们 |
[35:45] | Somebody who’d watched the news and convinced themselves | 有的人看了新闻然后说服自己 |
[35:47] | that Natalie is a murderer | 纳塔利是杀人凶手 |
[35:49] | and that we’re the bad guys just doing whatever we can | 以及我们是坏人 我们尽一切努力 |
[35:52] | – to help her evade the law. – Well, | – 是在帮她逃避法律的惩罚 – 别急 |
[35:54] | I went through the rest of the dossiers early this morning, | 我今天早上早些时候看完了剩下的卷宗 |
[35:57] | and I found one that ticked a lot of boxes for me. | 我找到了一个符合所有的条件的嫌疑人 |
[36:00] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[36:01] | What if I told you that one of the employees at Hudson | 如果我告诉你 哈德逊有一个员工 |
[36:04] | served as a medic during the first Gulf War? | 曾在第一次海湾战争时 服役入伍当了军医 |
[36:07] | Okay. And that’s meaningful because…? | 然后呢 这条消息有意义是因为… |
[36:10] | Because it means they have firsthand knowledge | 是因为这意味着这些人有 |
[36:13] | of the devastation biological and chemical weapons cause. | 生化武器破坏性的第一手资料 |
[36:18] | No offense, but that hardly seems like enough | 无意冒犯 但是要想改变陪审团的想法 |
[36:20] | to get a jury to change its mind. | 仅仅这点是不够的 |
[36:22] | What if I told you this person was stationed in territory | 如果我告诉你这个人被派驻的地区 |
[36:25] | where Saddam Hussein was waging chemical and biological warfare | 就是因萨达姆·侯赛大举生化战 |
[36:29] | against a large swath of civilians? | 无数平民百姓被屠戮的地方呢 |
[36:32] | Still kind of feels like we’re making some big leaps here, | 我感觉这个结论还是太陡了 |
[36:35] | don’t you think? | 你不觉得吗 |
[36:37] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[36:39] | Why does someone dedicate their life to finding an antidote | 为什么会有人毕生致力于研究 |
[36:42] | to something like anthrax? | 炭疽这种东西的解药 |
[36:44] | We know why Natalie did it. | 我们知道纳塔利为什么这么做 |
[36:46] | She felt… A sense of obligation to her country. | 她有一种对祖国的责任感 |
[36:52] | So, what if this person did it | 如果这个人做出这些事情的原因 |
[36:54] | because they keenly understood | 是因为他们强烈地认识到 |
[36:56] | that biological weapons were an imminent threat to the homeland? | 生物武器威胁到国家安全的紧迫性 |
[37:00] | So, when Congress cut their funding for the research, | 所以当国会削减了他们的研究资金 |
[37:03] | they took matters into their own hands | 他们决定自己接手了 |
[37:06] | and decided the one or two deaths | 并且他们认为为了预防更大的危害 |
[37:09] | necessary to seize the public’s imagination | 牺牲一两个人来引起公众的危机意识 |
[37:11] | were a fair trade if it helped prevent a greater harm. | 是必要的一笔划算买卖 |
[37:15] | So, you’re saying the FBI had the right motive… | 你是在说FBI推测的犯案动机是对的 |
[37:19] | Just pegged the wrong person. | 只是找错了人 |
[37:22] | Who is this person? | 那这个人是谁呢 |
[37:25] | Roger Simpkins? | 罗杰·辛普金 |
[37:27] | Uh, Natalie’s boss? | 纳塔利的老板 |
[37:29] | The man who oversees the entire program? | 这整个项目的监督人 |
[37:32] | His position means he can come and go between labs by himself | 他的身份意味着他可以一个人在实验室来去自如 |
[37:35] | without raising suspicion, | 而不引起他人怀疑 |
[37:37] | which means he has access to anthrax. | 同时也意味着他能拿到炭疽 |
[37:40] | Not to mention the know-how | 更不用说他有烘干孢子的 |
[37:41] | and the equipment to dry the spores with. | 专业知识和设备了 |
[37:44] | Not only did Dr. Simpkins have the motive, | 辛普金博士不仅有作案动机 |
[37:46] | the means, and the opportunity to commit this crime… | 作案手法和作案时机 |
[37:48] | He was also in the perfect position to frame Natalie Reznick. | 他的身份还能让他完美栽赃给纳塔利 |
[37:52] | Natalie had to get her boss’s okay | 纳塔利必须先得到她老板的同意 |
[37:54] | before she wrote to that list | 才能写出削减预算的 |
[37:55] | of legislators and journalists in the wake of the budget cuts. | 国会议员和记者的名单 |
[37:58] | Dr. Simpkins could easily have pulled Congressman Connors’ | 辛普金博士可以轻易地用名单上的康纳议员 |
[38:02] | and Allison Rojas’ names from that list in an effort | 和阿里森·洛哈斯的名字 |
[38:06] | to make Natalie look guilty. | 让纳塔利看起来有罪 |
[38:09] | I’m sorry, | 不好意思 |
[38:11] | but none of this sounds terribly convincing. | 但这些理由没有哪一点听起来能让人心服口服 |
[38:15] | In fact, it sounds desperate, | 事实上 听起来感觉你们已经绝望了 |
[38:18] | like you know you’re about to lose | 就像是你知道要输掉这个案子 |
[38:19] | and you’re throwing spaghetti on the wall, | 于是向墙上扔意大利面 |
[38:21] | hoping something will stick. | 希望它能黏住 |
[38:23] | Look, I came to this meeting in good faith. | 听着 我很真诚地来见你们 |
[38:26] | But I got to tell you, | 但是我得告诉你们 |
[38:28] | I believe Natalie Reznick is guilty, | 我相信纳塔利·雷兹尼是有罪的 |
[38:31] | and nothing I’ve heard here today | 我今天所听到的一切 |
[38:33] | even remotely begins to change my mind. | 一点也不能改变我的想法 |
[38:36] | Well, perhaps we should have skipped the warm-up then. | 那么也许我们应该跳过热身阶段 |
[38:38] | Danny, the pièce de résistance, if you will. | 丹尼 请把“主菜”端上来 |
[38:46] | You recognize these images, Mr. Reynolds? | 你认得出这些照片吗 瑞诺先生 |
[38:49] | Of course. | 当然 |
[38:50] | Those are from the security footage | 这些是在寄出信件的那个邮箱附近 |
[38:52] | the FBI lifted near the mailbox where the letters were sent. | FBI调出的监控录像里的镜头 |
[38:55] | You were never able to identify Natalie | 你不可能从这里的任何一张照片上 |
[38:57] | in any of these photos, were you? | 认出纳塔利 对吗 |
[38:59] | Come on. Look at the time of year. | 看看上面的时间年份 |
[39:00] | Look how everyone is dressed. | 看看大家的衣着 |
[39:02] | Nevertheless, we do believe one of them is Natalie. | 不管怎样 我们确信其中一人是纳塔利 |
[39:05] | Well, in the same way you | 跟你们一样 |
[39:06] | set out to prove one of them is Natalie, | 你们努力证明其中一个是纳塔利 |
[39:08] | we set out to prove one of them is Dr. Simpkins. | 我们则努力证明其中一个是辛普金博士 |
[39:14] | We widened the surveillance area | 我们拓宽了监视区域 |
[39:15] | and accessed all of the security cameras | 调取了以邮箱为中心半英里内 |
[39:17] | within a half-mile radius of the mailbox. | 所有的监控摄像头 |
[39:19] | Now, the FBI determined that there was | 现在FBI确定 |
[39:21] | an eight-hour window during which the letters were mailed. | 寄出那些信有八个小时的时间窗口 |
[39:24] | So, using a photograph of Dr. Simpkins’ face, | 通过一张辛普金博士的照片 |
[39:28] | our office created an algorithm | 我们办公室设计了一个算法 |
[39:30] | to scan all eight hours of the footage | 能扫描这八个小时内 |
[39:33] | from every single camera. | 每一个镜头的画面 |
[39:35] | This is what we found. | 这是我们找到的结果 |
[39:38] | Recorded by an ATM about four blocks away from the mailbox. | 这是离邮箱四个街区远的一个ATM机拍下来的 |
[39:43] | As you can see, that’s Roger Simpkins. | 你可以看到 那是罗杰·辛普金 |
[39:45] | And you’ll notice his hat | 请注意他的帽子 |
[39:47] | perfectly matches this hat. | 和这顶帽子完美重合 |
[39:50] | In this photo. | 在这张照片里 |
[39:52] | Where a person is clearly mailing letters. | 这个人很明显是在寄信的 |
[39:55] | Letters which I would bet contain anthrax. | 我打赌这些信件里必定装着炭疽 |
[40:02] | Nice work. | 干得不错 |
[40:07] | Well, I suppose the four of us | 我想我们四个 |
[40:09] | should take a walk down to the judge’s chambers, | 该去法官室里走一趟了 |
[40:11] | see if we can get an audience. | 看他能否能听我们讲讲 |
[40:15] | If this isn’t probable cause for a search warrant, | 如果这都不能申请到搜查令 |
[40:17] | I don’t know what is. | 我不知道还有什么可以了 |
[40:24] | Look out there. | 看看外面这些 |
[40:25] | You see a single face mask? | 你看到有一个带口罩的吗 |
[40:27] | Nope. | 没 |
[40:28] | Just people walking their dogs, | 只有普通人在遛狗 |
[40:30] | strolling their kids. | 有的人和孩子一起溜达散步 |
[40:33] | Well, it’s like we told the judge… | 就像我们给法官说的 |
[40:34] | The FBI searched Dr. Simpkins’ apartment, | FBI搜查了辛普金博士的公寓 |
[40:37] | only to discover it, too, had been bleached. | 发现他的公寓也被漂白了 |
[40:39] | Luckily, when they opened up the HVAC ducts, | 幸运的是 当他们打开HVAC管道的时候 |
[40:41] | they found anthrax spores behind a vent in the kitchen. | 他们在厨房的一个通气口后面发现了炭疽孢子 |
[40:46] | I still have a hard time believing it. | 我还是很难相信 |
[40:48] | We talked about it all the time. | 我们一直都在讨论这件事 |
[40:50] | He kept saying how he wanted to help people, | 他一直在说他有多想帮助别人 |
[40:53] | protect people. | 保护大家 |
[40:54] | Oh, I’m sure he thought he was doing just that. | 我肯定他觉得自己就是这么做的 |
[40:56] | Doing it for the greater good. | 为了更大的利益牺牲少数人 |
[40:59] | You know, I guess that’s why I like my work so much. | 我想这就是为什么我那么喜欢我的工作 |
[41:03] | Bacteria may be challenging, | 病毒细菌可能很棘手 |
[41:05] | but they’re a whole hell | 但是相比于了解别人 |
[41:07] | of a lot easier to understand than people. | 就容易太多了 |