时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:52] | Did you think we’d forget about you? | 你以为我们会忘了你吗 |
[01:53] | I can’t give you what I haven’t got. | 我没法给你我没有的东西 |
[01:55] | Find it! | 那就想办法 |
[01:57] | But I can’t. | 但我没办法 |
[01:58] | Get the money. | 去筹钱吧 |
[01:59] | I’ll be back to collect it tomorrow. | 我明天再回来收 |
[02:14] | At this rate, I shall have more clothes | 这样下去 我的衣服会比 |
[02:16] | than the Princess of Wales. | 威尔士王妃还多 |
[02:17] | But if Mrs. Van Rhijn insists… | 但如果范莱茵夫人坚持… |
[02:19] | Who am I to object? | 我有什么资格反对 |
[02:21] | It’s good of you to keep me company. | 你能陪着我真好 |
[02:23] | I don’t mind. | 我不介意 |
[02:24] | At least, I think it’s ridiculous | 至少我觉得 |
[02:25] | that you’re not allowed to walk out on your own. | 不让你独自出门很荒谬 |
[02:28] | But it gives me a chance to get some air. | 但这也让我有机会出来透透气 |
[02:30] | Now for the sleeves. | 接下来试袖子 |
[02:32] | By the way, someone from home is coming to the city. | 顺便告诉你 家乡有人要来纽约了 |
[02:35] | I got a letter this morning. | 我今天早上收到了一封信 |
[02:36] | A friend from Pennsylvania? | 来自宾夕法尼亚州的朋友吗 |
[02:39] | Not exactly. | 算不上 |
[02:39] | The lawyer who managed my father’s affairs when he died. | 是我父亲去世时处理他事务的律师 |
[02:42] | Is it about business? | 是公事吗 |
[02:44] | It may be. He doesn’t really say. | 也许吧 他没说 |
[02:47] | Will you let him visit 61st Street? | 你会让他来61街做客吗 |
[02:49] | Why? | 为什么这么问 |
[02:50] | Would that be very shocking? | 这会太夸张吗 |
[02:52] | It’s not that, | 不是那个 |
[02:52] | although Mrs. Van Rhijn may think so. | 虽然范莱茵夫人或许会这么想 |
[02:54] | But, uh, I might want to ask his advice. | 我是想跟他寻求点建议 |
[02:58] | Really? | 是吗 |
[02:59] | Any colored lawyer would find his way back to my father, | 任何有色人种律师最终都会告诉我父亲 |
[03:02] | and he can’t know about it. | 而我不能让他知道 |
[03:03] | I’m not sure Mr. Raikes would do it. | 我不确定雷克斯先生是否愿意 |
[03:05] | – But I can always ask. – Excuse me– | -但我可以问问 -打扰一下… |
[03:07] | And he studied law in Pennsylvania? | 他是在宾夕法尼亚州学的法律吗 |
[03:09] | I presume so. | 我想是的 |
[03:12] | Is this for your writing? | 这跟你的写作有关吗 |
[03:13] | No, it’s a personal matter. | 不 是私事 |
[03:15] | – Raise your arms, please. – How is the writing going? | -请把手臂抬起来 -你的文章写得怎么样了 |
[03:17] | Are you getting much done? | 写了很多了吗 |
[03:19] | I think so. | 是的 |
[03:20] | I sent out query letters. | 我寄了些自荐信 |
[03:22] | To which publications? | 给哪些出版社 |
[03:24] | No, I’ll tell you once I hear back from them. | 算了 等我收到回复再告诉你 |
[03:26] | I don’t want to risk bad luck. | 我可不想乌鸦嘴 |
[03:28] | Well, I hope Mr. Raikes can be of help. | 那我希望雷克斯先生能帮上忙 |
[03:31] | I also hope he hasn’t turned up a pile of Daddy’s debts. | 我还希望他不会带着爸爸的一堆债务过来 |
[03:35] | What can you mean? | 什么意思 |
[03:36] | Of course I haven’t called on Mrs. Russell. | 我当然没拜访过罗素夫人 |
[03:38] | Marian, I hope you don’t encourage her in this. | 玛丽安 我希望你没有鼓励她这么做 |
[03:41] | I don’t. | 我没有 |
[03:42] | What do you know about the Russells’ daughter, Glenys? | 你对罗素家的女儿格莱妮丝了解多少 |
[03:44] | Is she out? | 她亮相了吗 |
[03:45] | Do people like that bring their daughters out? | 他们那种人会让女儿在社交场合亮相吗 |
[03:47] | I thought they just sold them to the highest bidder. | 我以为他们只会把她卖给出价最高的人 |
[03:50] | She’s called Gladys, not Glenys. | 她叫格拉迪斯 不是格莱妮丝 |
[03:51] | And I don’t think she is out yet. | 我觉得她还没有亮相 |
[03:52] | – But she’s very nice. – How do you know? | -但她人很好 -你怎么知道 |
[03:54] | I met her with Aurora Fane. | 我遇到她跟奥萝拉·费恩在一起 |
[03:57] | Aurora skates so close to the edge. | 奥萝拉这是在铤而走险 |
[03:59] | Do you know this Gladys well enough to ask her to luncheon? | 你跟格拉迪斯熟到能约她吃午餐的程度了吗 |
[04:01] | – Not really. – I should think not. | -还没有 -最好别是 |
[04:04] | Agnes, you can’t have anything | 艾格妮丝 你不能对一个无辜的 |
[04:06] | against an innocent young girl. | 年轻姑娘充满偏见 |
[04:07] | I am opposed to her tribe. | 我反对的是她家族 |
[04:13] | – Is this for sending up? – Right there. | -这些是要送上去的吗 -没错 |
[04:19] | Are you quite well, Mrs. Bauer? | 你还好吗 鲍尔太太 |
[04:21] | Why wouldn’t I be? | 我为什么会不好 |
[04:23] | You seem upset. | 你好像不开心 |
[04:23] | Oh, I’ve been chopping onions. | 我在切洋葱 |
[04:28] | Miss Scott, have you been working with Mrs. Van Rhijn? | 斯科特小姐 你一直在为范莱茵夫人工作吗 |
[04:31] | Yes. | 对 |
[04:32] | Suppose you think that makes you a sort of secretary. | 我想你觉得这可以让你成为某种秘书 |
[04:35] | She is a secretary and not a “Sort of” anything, | 她就是秘书 不是”某种”秘书 |
[04:37] | which puts her above you in the pecking order, Miss Armstrong. | 所以她的地位比你高 阿姆斯特朗小姐 |
[04:40] | Mr. Oscar’s good-looking, isn’t he? | 奥斯卡先生很帅 对吗 |
[04:42] | I saw him when he left. | 他走的时候我看到他了 |
[04:43] | Mr. Oscar’s interested in one thing only, | 奥斯卡先生只对一种东西感兴趣 |
[04:45] | – and you haven’t got it. – What’s that? | -而你没有 -什么东西 |
[04:47] | – Money. – Don’t bash her down. | -钱 -别打击她 |
[04:49] | She only said he was good-looking, and so he is. | 她只不过说他很帅 也没说错 |
[04:52] | I wonder if they’ll try to set him up with Miss Marian. | 我不知道他们是否想撮合他和玛丽安小姐 |
[04:54] | He wants an heiress, the richest he can find. | 他想娶女继承人 越有钱越好 |
[04:56] | And Miss Marian hasn’t a penny to her name. | 而玛丽安小姐名下一分钱都没有 |
[04:58] | If you’ve finished demolishing the characters | 如果你对这个家里所有人的品格 |
[05:00] | of every member of this family, John and I will serve luncheon. | 都评头论足过了 约翰和我就上午餐了 |
[05:03] | – Are you ready, Mrs. Bauer? – I am. | -你准备好了吗 鲍尔太太 -是的 |
[05:11] | Who is this Mr. Raikes? | 这个雷克斯先生是什么人 |
[05:13] | The lawyer who settled Henry’s estate. | 处理亨利财产的律师 |
[05:15] | – Do we have to receive him? – He waived his fee. | -我们一定要接待他吗 -他没收亨利的钱 |
[05:19] | Oh, I see. | 我明白了 |
[05:19] | Well, let’s make it tea and be quick about it. | 那我们就喝个茶 速战速决 |
[05:23] | Good. Now we can get started. | 很好 我们可以开始了 |
[05:25] | Has Mr. Raikes arrived in the city? | 雷克斯先生已经到城里了吗 |
[05:27] | He should be here by now. | 他现在应该已经到了 |
[05:29] | Then ask him for tea tomorrow. | 那就请他明天来喝茶 |
[05:31] | – You don’t have to. – Ada says he waived his fee. | -没必要 -艾达说他没收你们的钱 |
[05:34] | – He did. – Then you will give him tea. | -是的 -那就请他来喝茶 |
[05:36] | You cannot be indebted to these people. | 你不能欠这种人的人情 |
[05:38] | Very well, I’ll ask him for half past 4:00. | 好 那我让他四点半来 |
[05:41] | Anne Morris wants me to call on her at 3:00. | 安妮·莫里斯让我三点去找她 |
[05:43] | She’d like me to take a stall in her bazaar. | 她想让我在她的义卖上摆个摊 |
[05:45] | What do you mean, take a stall? | 什么意思 摆摊 |
[05:48] | Run a stall and gather the things we’ll sell. | 摆个摊 并收集我们要卖的东西 |
[05:50] | It’s for charity. | 为了慈善 |
[05:51] | Well, I didn’t think it was for profit. | 我也没觉得这能赚钱 |
[05:53] | They’re joining the Dispensary | 他们加入了 |
[05:54] | for Poor Women and Children | 救助贫困妇女和儿童的 |
[05:55] | with the Infirmary for Indigent Women and Children | 药房和医务室项目 |
[05:58] | and they’ll move the whole thing to 7th Street. | 而且他们要把这整个项目搬到第七街 |
[06:00] | That’s sounds sensible, doesn’t it? | 听着挺合理的 不是吗 |
[06:02] | It sounds dull enough to be respectable, at any rate. | 听着够无聊 无论如何都值得尊敬 |
[06:12] | There you are. | 你在这里 |
[06:13] | Do you still see Mrs. Morris? | 你还跟莫里斯夫人见面吗 |
[06:15] | I haven’t quarreled with her, if that’s what you mean. | 我没跟她吵架 如果你是指这个的话 |
[06:17] | But you don’t see her? | 但你没再跟她见面了 |
[06:19] | I gave her a check for her charity, | 我给了她一张支票支持她的慈善事业 |
[06:21] | which, as you so gallantly pointed out, | 正如你大胆指出的那样 |
[06:23] | was all they wanted from me, | 她们想从我这里只想要这些 |
[06:24] | and I haven’t heard from her since. | 从那之后我就没有她的消息了 |
[06:25] | You know, she’s married to Alderman Patrick Morris. | 她嫁给了市议员帕特里克·莫里斯 |
[06:28] | – So I believe. – I’d like to meet him. | -我想是的 -我想见他 |
[06:30] | Then invite him to your office. | 那就请他去你的办公室 |
[06:32] | I want it to be informal. | 我想私下见他 |
[06:34] | – Ask him here for dinner. – He wouldn’t come. | -请他来吃晚餐 -他不会来的 |
[06:36] | Ask him anyway. | 邀请他就是了 |
[06:44] | You’re not suggesting we should go. | 你不是说我们该去吧 |
[06:46] | I’m curious as to why I’m included in her largesse. | 我很好奇 她的慷慨捐款与我有什么关系 |
[06:50] | I suspect her husband’s had a hand in it. | 我猜这是她丈夫的提议 |
[06:53] | Does that make a difference? | 这有什么不同吗 |
[06:55] | George Russell is a force in this city, | 乔治·罗素是这城中举足轻重的人 |
[06:57] | whatever you like to pretend. | 无论你们如何假装视而不见 |
[06:59] | But who else would be there? | 但那里还会有什么人 |
[07:00] | We could be dining with anyone. | 我们可能和任何人同桌就餐 |
[07:02] | Won’t there just be the four of us? | 不能就只有我们四个人吗 |
[07:04] | Can’t you meet him at his office? | 你们不能在他办公室见吗 |
[07:06] | It’s not what he wants, is it? | 但他不希望这样 不是吗 |
[07:08] | But how would I explain to people? | 但我要如何跟人们解释 |
[07:11] | Why not say you wanted to invite her | 要不你就说 想邀请她 |
[07:13] | onto the board of your bazaar? | 加入你们的义卖委员会 |
[07:14] | I don’t think so. | 我想她加入不了 |
[07:15] | Aurora Fane’s the chairwoman again, | 奥萝拉·费恩这次又是主席 |
[07:17] | and they had a falling-out last time. | 她们上次大吵一架 |
[07:19] | You are joint chairwomen. | 你们是联合主席 |
[07:20] | The choice is yours as much as hers. | 你和她同样能做主 |
[07:22] | I’m not sure its ever successful, | 我不知道这样行不行 |
[07:25] | trying to mix different types. | 让不同阶级的人混在一起 |
[07:27] | You won’t say as much, I hope. | 希望你到时候不要这样说 |
[07:29] | Of course not. | 当然不会 |
[07:31] | And I’ll invite her to come and support us on the day. | 义卖当天 我会邀请她来支持我们 |
[07:34] | She can’t be offended at that. | 她不可能因此生气 |
[07:35] | Oh, can’t she? | 是吗 |
[07:40] | You won’t accept | 你不会接受的吧 |
[07:42] | if Mr. Russell makes you an offer. | 如果罗素先生给你开出提议 |
[07:45] | I shouldn’t think so. | 应该不会 |
[07:46] | But I’d like to know what I’m turning down. | 但我想知道 我拒绝的是什么 |
[07:49] | And when Mrs. Astor hears we’ve gone to their house, what then? | 等阿斯特夫人听说我们去了他们家 要怎么办 |
[07:54] | Mrs. Astor knows how the world works. | 阿斯特夫人知道这个世界的游戏规则 |
[07:59] | Thank you, Bannister. | 谢谢你 班尼斯特 |
[08:00] | Please tell Mrs. Bauer I’ve asked Mr. Oscar | 请告诉鲍尔太太 我叫了奥斯卡先生 |
[08:03] | to join us for tea. | 和我们一起喝茶 |
[08:04] | He’ll be company for Miss Marian’s friend, | 玛丽安小姐的朋友会和他一起来 |
[08:06] | – so we’ll be five. – Very good, ma’am. | -所以一共有五人 -好的 夫人 |
[08:08] | – Can Oscar get away? – He says so. | -奥斯卡能走得开吗 -他说可以 |
[08:10] | 联盟俱乐部 成立于1836年 纽约市最古老的私人社交俱乐部 也是美国第五个最古老的私人俱乐部 被认为是纽约市最有声誉的俱乐部之一 | |
[08:10] | He’s got a luncheon at the Union with Ogden Goelet, | 他跟奥格登·戈莱特在联盟俱乐部共进午餐后 |
[08:14] | and he’ll come straight on. | 之后就直接过来 |
[08:15] | He won’t go back to the bank. | 他不会回银行 |
[08:17] | Could he introduce Marian to some of his friends? | 他能向他的朋友引见玛丽安吗 |
[08:21] | He must know any number of suitable young men. | 他一定认识许多适龄的年轻人 |
[08:25] | John Adams wasn’t exactly a roaring success. | 约翰·亚当斯算不上有出息 |
[08:28] | But I agree, he must know other candidates. | 但我同意 他一定认识其他候选人 |
[08:30] | Or perhaps Oscar might take a shine to her himself. | 或许奥斯卡自己喜欢她 |
[08:35] | Take a shine? | 喜欢 |
[08:37] | – I only meant she’s… – They are first cousins. | -我只是说她… -他们是嫡表亲 |
[08:40] | And she hasn’t a cent. | 并且她身无分文 |
[08:41] | So I’d be grateful if you would keep | 谢谢 这种仆人打趣的话 |
[08:43] | your servants’ hall slang to yourself. | 就不要说给我听了 |
[08:47] | Money isn’t everything, Agnes. | 钱不是万能的 艾格妮丝 |
[08:48] | Ha, you say that to me | 在我为了帮你 |
[08:50] | after the sacrifice I made to save your skin? | 做出巨大牺牲之后 你居然对我这么说 |
[08:52] | To save both our skins, Agnes. | 是为了帮我们俩 艾格妮丝 |
[09:04] | You’ve heard we’re to entertain | 你听说我们要款待 |
[09:06] | Alderman Morris and his wife? | 莫里斯参议员及其夫人吗 |
[09:08] | And if I know Mrs. Russell, she’ll want quite a show. | 我了解罗素夫人 她肯定想要风光大办 |
[09:11] | I’ve made a list of what I’ll need from the store cupboard | 我已列好了一张所需食材的清单 |
[09:14] | and a few things that we’ll have to order in. | 少数物品我们必须订购 |
[09:16] | I’ll take care of it, thank you. | 我来处理 谢谢 |
[09:20] | Are you starting to feel at home? | 你开始适应了吗 |
[09:23] | I think so. | 我想是的 |
[09:25] | But I’m open to advice if you have any. | 但如果你有任何建议 尽管提 |
[09:27] | Oh, you look as if you know the ropes pretty well, Mrs. Bruce. | 你看起来很在行 布鲁斯太太 |
[09:30] | Have you always done this kind of work? | 你一直从事这种工作吗 |
[09:32] | More or less. | 差不多吧 |
[09:34] | My mother answered an advertisement | 我12岁时 我妈看到广告 |
[09:36] | for a kitchen maid when I was 12, and that was it. | 应征当了厨娘 然后就一路走到如今 |
[09:39] | You worked your way up the ladder. | 你已高升了 |
[09:41] | Were your parents in service? | 你父母之前是仆人吗 |
[09:42] | Oh, no. | 不是 |
[09:44] | My beginnings were very humble. | 我出身低微 |
[09:45] | My father was a farmworker, | 我父亲是雇农 |
[09:47] | and my mother used to pick fruit in the fall. | 母亲以前在秋收时帮人摘果子 |
[09:50] | I never knew a world like this existed. | 我从不知道存在这样的世界 |
[09:52] | Well, I envy you. | 我真羡慕你 |
[09:54] | – Really? – Mm-hmm. | -真的吗 -嗯 |
[09:55] | If you offered most people the choice between a top chef | 如果让大部分人在顶级大厨 |
[09:58] | and a spinster housekeeper, I know which they’d take. | 和老处女管家之间选择 我知道他们会选什么 |
[10:02] | It doesn’t mean they’d be right. | 这并不意味着他们是对的 |
[10:07] | So it will be at the Veterans’ Room | 义卖将设在新第七军团 |
[10:07] | 第七军团军械库 坐落于美国纽约曼哈顿公园大道 是一栋占据了纽约上城一整个街区的砖石历史建筑 是美国唯一一个私人出资修建的军械库 | |
[10:08] | at the new Seventh Regiment Armory. | 军械库的退役军人室 |
[10:10] | You’re sure they’ll agree? | 你确定他们会同意吗 |
[10:12] | Mrs. Druett says they’ll be keen to help. | 朱特夫人说他们很乐意帮忙 |
[10:14] | I’ll call him there this week. | 我这周会给他们打电话 |
[10:15] | And we have enough stall holders? | 我们有足够的摊主吗 |
[10:17] | I think so. | 我想足够了 |
[10:18] | We don’t want a crush. | 我们不希望太拥挤 |
[10:20] | Have you asked Mrs. Russell? | 你邀请罗素夫人了吗 |
[10:23] | We won’t go down that route again. | 我们不会再重蹈覆辙了 |
[10:25] | – Precisely. – Good. | -说得没错 -很好 |
[10:26] | I don’t see why not. I like her. | 我不明白有何不可 我喜欢她 |
[10:28] | Careful, my dear. | 当心 亲爱的 |
[10:29] | Or I’ll report you to Aunt Agnes. | 否则我就把你的话告诉艾格妮丝婶婶 |
[10:32] | But why keep her out? | 但为什么不让她加入 |
[10:33] | She can give more to the cause | 她能为慈善捐赠更多的钱 |
[10:34] | than the rest of us put together. | 比我们所有人加起来都要多 |
[10:36] | She’s welcome to make a donation. | 我们非常欢迎她来捐款 |
[10:38] | We’re dining with her soon, | 我们很快将和她共进晚餐 |
[10:39] | and I’ll try to inspire her with our work. | 我会尽力用我们的工作感染她 |
[10:42] | You’re having dinner with Mrs. Russell? | 你们要和罗素夫人共进晚餐吗 |
[10:44] | At her house? | 在她家吗 |
[10:45] | Her husband has something he wants to talk about with Mr. Morris. | 她丈夫有事想跟莫里斯先生聊 |
[10:49] | Do I hear my name taken in vain? | 我是听到有人在背后说我闲话吗 |
[10:51] | You’re not to disturb our meeting. | 你不要干扰我们的会议 |
[10:53] | I wonder, will you include Mrs. Russell | 我想知道 你们会邀请罗素夫人 |
[10:56] | – among your stall holders? – Apparently not. | -作为你们的摊主吗 -显然不会 |
[10:58] | We still want her check, though. | 但我们依然想要她的支票 |
[11:00] | We just mean to insult her first. | 我们只是想先羞辱她一下 |
[11:03] | Her husband won’t take kindly to the snub. | 她丈夫不会接受这种怠慢 |
[11:05] | This bazaar is in aid of children. | 这次义卖是为了帮助儿童 |
[11:07] | We need everything to be as pure as the driven snow. | 我们需要一切都纯洁无瑕 |
[11:11] | And so you mean to tangle with the men | 所以你们是故意要惹恼这位 |
[11:12] | who own most of the railroads in this country? | 拥有全国大部分铁路的男人吗 |
[11:16] | Money isn’t everything. | 钱不是万能的 |
[11:17] | It is when you haven’t got it. | 一分钱难倒英雄汉 |
[11:48] | Here, this is all I have. | 给你 这是我所有的财产了 |
[11:50] | Here, take it. | 给你 拿着 |
[11:52] | Take it, please. | 求你 拿着吧 |
[11:54] | I don’t want your junk. | 我不要你的垃圾 |
[11:55] | – I want the money. – Mrs. Bauer? | -我要钱 -鲍尔太太 |
[11:57] | What’s happening? | 发生什么事了 |
[11:59] | I’ll be back to get my money. | 我会回来拿我那笔钱的 |
[12:04] | Who was that man? | 刚刚那个男人是谁 |
[12:05] | Tell them to go. Make them go. | 叫他们走 让他们离开 |
[12:11] | Where did these come from? | 这些是从哪拿的 |
[12:13] | Now you know what I am. | 现在你知道我是什么货色了 |
[12:15] | I know you were badly frightened. | 我知道你刚刚吓坏了 |
[12:17] | Oh, no. I’m a thief. A common thief. | 不 我是个贼 一个惯偷 |
[12:29] | I was looking for Mrs. Russell. | 我在找罗素夫人 |
[12:30] | She’s gone with Mr. White, sir. | 她和怀特先生外出了 老爷 |
[12:32] | He’s taken her to see some pictures. | 他带她去看画了 |
[12:34] | I don’t like the sound of that. | 听上去不太妙啊 |
[12:36] | I’m afraid women are an expensive hobby, sir. | 恐怕养女人是个昂贵的爱好 老爷 |
[12:39] | Especially pretty ones. | 尤其是漂亮的女人 |
[12:41] | I’m afraid they are. | 恐怕是的 |
[12:44] | If you could ask her to come and find me when she gets back. | 等她回来 让她来找我 |
[12:46] | Of course, sir. | 好的 老爷 |
[12:49] | You mean to settle in New York? | 你打算在纽约定居吗 |
[12:51] | I applied for a position. | 我申请了一个职位 |
[12:52] | It’s a bit early to assume I’ll get it. | 现在还不确定我是否能得到 |
[12:54] | So you might come here to live? | 所以你有可能将来住在这里 |
[12:56] | Doubt I could manage the work from Doylestown. | 恐怕我很难住在多伊尔斯敦来处理工作 |
[12:58] | But why? Aren’t you happy there? | 但为什么 你在那里过得不开心吗 |
[13:01] | Not as happy as I could be. | 在这我也许可以更开心 |
[13:02] | Good evening, Mr. Oscar. | 晚上好 奥斯卡先生 |
[13:04] | I like to think you’d be pleased. | 我以为你会很高兴 |
[13:05] | Right this way. | 这边请 |
[13:08] | Mr. Van Rhijn and Mr. Russell. | 范莱茵先生和罗素先生 |
[13:11] | Oscar? | 奥斯卡 |
[13:12] | May I present Mr. Russell, Mama? | 请允许我介绍罗素先生 妈妈 |
[13:14] | We were at the luncheon together, | 我们刚刚在一起用了午餐 |
[13:15] | and he’s anxious to know you. | 他很想认识你 |
[13:16] | I’m afraid I’ve rather pushed into | 我恐怕打扰了 |
[13:18] | your tea party, Mrs. Van Rhijn. | 你的茶会 范莱茵夫人 |
[13:20] | Don’t worry. We have so much cake. | 别担心 我们有很多蛋糕 |
[13:24] | Are you anything to do with the Russells | 你和住在街对面的罗素一家 |
[13:26] | who live across the road? | 有什么关系吗 |
[13:27] | I’m one of them. | 我是他们中的一员 |
[13:29] | This is my sister, Miss Brook, | 这是我妹妹 布鲁克小姐 |
[13:31] | and my niece, Miss Marian Brook. | 还有我侄女 玛丽安·布鲁克小姐 |
[13:33] | Hello. | 你好 |
[13:33] | And Mr. Raikes is visiting from Pennsylvania. | 还有从宾夕法尼亚州来访的雷克斯先生 |
[13:37] | But now I suppose you’d better have some tea. | 不过现在你还是喝杯茶吧 |
[13:39] | – How do you do? – How do you do? | -你好 -你好 |
[13:43] | Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Van Rhijn. | 很荣幸见到你 范莱茵夫人 |
[13:44] | How do you know my cousin? | 你怎么认识我表兄的 |
[13:46] | We met in Newport with Mrs. Fish. | 我们在纽波特菲什夫人的聚会上相识 |
[13:48] | And then we were both at a luncheon at the Union Club today. | 然后今天我们又都出席了联合俱乐部的午宴 |
[13:51] | I didn’t tell him you and I had already met. | 我没告诉他我们已经见过了 |
[13:53] | I’m glad to see you here. | 很高兴在这里见到你 |
[13:55] | Judging by your aunt’s face, | 从你姑姑的脸色来看 |
[13:57] | it’ll be a while before you see me here again. | 估计你很久不会再在这里见到我了 |
[14:01] | It is a small town. And, of course, nothing like… | 那是个小镇 当然 不像… |
[14:03] | You just have to get them back into the silver cupboard. | 你只需把它们放回银橱柜里 |
[14:06] | But how will I manage it? | 但我要怎么放回去 |
[14:07] | How will you manage what? | 你要怎么干什么 |
[14:11] | Tell me. | 告诉我 |
[14:12] | You don’t want to be involved. | 你不会想被牵连 |
[14:13] | You don’t know what I want. | 你不知道我想要什么 |
[14:16] | Tell her. | 跟她说吧 |
[14:17] | I couldn’t be more ashamed than I am already. | 我已经够羞愧的了 |
[14:28] | Wish I understood what brings you to New York. | 真希望我能知道你为什么来纽约 |
[14:30] | Simple. I want to be here. | 很简单 我想来这里 |
[14:32] | And that’s enough of a reason? | 这是个理由吗 |
[14:33] | Course it is. | 当然了 |
[14:35] | It’s always a reason when you want something enough. | 你足够想要做一件事时 它总能成为理由 |
[14:37] | When I see what I really want, I take it if I can. | 我看到真正想要的东西时 就会尽我所能去争取 |
[14:40] | I suspect that’s something you should try to control | 你要是不想进警局的话 |
[14:42] | if you don’t intend to spend time in a police cell. | 或许你该控制一下这种情绪 |
[14:48] | So when did you decide to come to New York? | 所以你是什么时候打算来纽约的 |
[14:51] | It’s always been a dream of mine. | 这一直是我的一个梦想 |
[14:53] | It’s become real comparatively recently. | 最近它变得越发真实了 |
[14:55] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[14:58] | I wish I could convince you that I mean to be your friend. | 我希望你能明白我想做你的朋友 |
[15:03] | Oddly enough, there is something you can do for me. | 刚巧有件事要你帮忙 |
[15:06] | There’s a woman who works here who did me a very good turn, | 在这工作的一个女士曾帮助过我 |
[15:08] | and it seems she wants your advice. | 她似乎需要你的建议 |
[15:11] | – Do you know what it’s about? – No. | -你知道是关于什么事吗 -不知道 |
[15:12] | But she’ll have a solid reason. | 但她肯定是事出有因 |
[15:16] | I should tell you, she’s colored. | 我得跟你说 她是有色人种 |
[15:18] | I see. | 我懂了 |
[15:19] | She’s keen to see a lawyer who’s familiar | 她很想见一位 |
[15:21] | with the laws of Pennsylvania. | 熟悉宾夕法尼亚州法律的律师 |
[15:22] | I don’t know why. | 我不知道为什么 |
[15:24] | “Curiouser and curiouser,” said Alice. | 爱丽丝说”越来越神奇了”[《爱丽丝梦游仙境》] |
[15:26] | If you don’t like the sound of it, | 你要是不愿意的话 |
[15:27] | could you suggest someone who might handle cases like hers? | 能介绍一位可以处理她这种案子的律师吗 |
[15:31] | But if even that’s a nuisance, I’ll understand. | 但如果那样也太过麻烦 我能理解 |
[15:33] | I’ve told her it’s a lot to ask. | 我和她说过这个事不好开口 |
[15:34] | Nothing is a nuisance if it gives me the chance to see you again. | 一点也不麻烦 只要它能让我有机会再见到你 |
[15:40] | Bring her to the Bethesda Fountain | 明天下午3点 |
[15:41] | in Central Park tomorrow afternoon at 3:00. | 带她来中央公园的毕仕达喷泉 |
[15:44] | I’ll wait for you. | 我会在那等你们 |
[15:46] | You’re clever to know it. I don’t. | 你真聪明 知道这么做 我就不知道 |
[15:47] | You do now. | 你现在知道了 |
[15:49] | I’ll see you there. | 我们到时见 |
[15:51] | Bye, Mr. Raikes. | 再见 雷克斯先生 |
[16:02] | What can have possessed you? | 你是怎么想的 |
[16:04] | He’s a very handsome young man. | 他是个非常帅气的年轻人 |
[16:06] | You know we met in Newport. | 你知道我们在纽波特相识 |
[16:07] | So when I saw him at Ogden’s luncheon, | 所以当我看到他出席了奥格登举办的午宴 |
[16:09] | it seemed the obvious thing to do. | 这么做似乎非常顺理成章 |
[16:11] | And I think we should know the Russell family. | 而且我认为我们应该认识一下罗素一家 |
[16:13] | I would go further and say | 我斗胆再说一句 |
[16:15] | I think it is mad that we don’t. | 我认为不去认识他们太愚蠢 |
[16:16] | You mean you want to know their daughter. | 你是说你想认识他们的女儿 |
[16:18] | When I saw Larry again today, I asked him here for tea. | 当我今天再看到拉里时 我邀请他来这里喝茶 |
[16:20] | Et voilà. | 就这样 |
[16:21] | While I am struggling, trying to hold back | 而我却在这不断努力 试图阻止 |
[16:24] | the tide of vulgarians that threatens to engulf us. | 那些威胁着要吞噬我们的暴发户 |
[16:27] | I feel like King Canute. | 感觉就像是克努特大帝 |
[16:28] | Your policies make as much sense as his did. | 你的政策和他的一样合理 |
[16:31] | Now the mother will try to use it | 他母亲一定会利用这点 |
[16:32] | to push in here, you’ll see. | 来打入这里 等着瞧吧 |
[16:35] | – Has the lawyer gone? – He has. | -那个律师走了吗 -是的 |
[16:36] | I thought he was very nice. | 我觉得他人很好 |
[16:38] | I hope I’m not going to have to speak to you again, Ada. | 我希望我不用再和你谈话 艾达 |
[16:41] | No, Agnes. | 不用 艾格妮丝 |
[16:42] | He may be moving to New York. | 他有可能搬来纽约 |
[16:43] | He will not trouble you if he does. | 即使搬来 他也不劳你费心 |
[16:45] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[16:47] | New York is a collection of villages, my dear. | 纽约是一众村庄的集合 亲爱的 |
[16:49] | We know the people who live in our own village. | 我们认识住在自己村里的人 |
[16:51] | But not the ones who don’t. | 但不认识住在别处的人 |
[16:53] | The Russells live in your village, Mama. | 罗素一家就住在你村庄里 妈妈 |
[16:55] | I could throw a stone from here and break their windows. | 我从这扔块石头 都能砸碎他们家窗户 |
[16:58] | – Don’t tease me. – I’m not. | -别揶揄我 -我没有 |
[16:59] | I’m stating facts. | 我只是在陈述事实 |
[17:00] | I’m not concerned with facts. | 我不关心事实 |
[17:02] | Not if they interfere with my beliefs. | 只要它们与我的信仰相悖 |
[17:04] | I give you prejudice in a nut shell. | 归根结底这就是偏见 |
[17:06] | Oh, stop talking to yourself and ring the bell. | 别自说自话了 拉铃吧 |
[17:08] | – I’m going up to change. – I doubt it, Mama. | -我要上楼去换衣服 -我表示怀疑 妈妈 |
[17:11] | I’d say you’ll come down again without having changed at all. | 我敢说等下你下来 根本就没有换衣服 |
[17:36] | So this is what Dido felt | 当狄多要把自己 |
[17:38] | when she was about to throw herself | 投向燃烧着的火堆时 |
[17:39] | – onto the flaming pyre. – Chin up. | -她应该就是这种感觉吧 -高兴点 |
[17:42] | It’ll be so awkward. | 气氛肯定会很尴尬 |
[17:43] | If it is, it won’t be the first awkward dinner | 就算是 那也不是我们经历的第一次 |
[17:45] | we’ve sat through. | 尴尬晚餐了 |
[17:46] | Think of your Aunt Susan. | 想想你苏珊姨妈 |
[17:48] | Oh, you love to tease. | 你就是喜欢揶揄我 |
[17:51] | Mr. And Mrs. Morris, welcome. | 莫里斯先生夫人 欢迎 |
[18:02] | Do you think we should kneel? | 你觉得我们该下跪吗 |
[18:04] | What’s that? | 你说什么 |
[18:05] | Mrs. Morris was admiring your house. | 莫里斯夫人刚刚在赞赏您的房子呢 |
[18:08] | Oh, we’re still trying to get organized. | 我们还在布置呢 |
[18:10] | Please, come into the drawing room. | 请到客厅吧 |
[18:13] | Ah, here’s Mr. Russell. | 罗素先生来了 |
[18:15] | – Mr. Morris. – Mr. Russell. | -莫里斯先生 -罗素先生 |
[18:21] | Where is the bazaar to be held? | 义卖会在哪里举办 |
[18:23] | In the new armory on Park Avenue. | 在公园大道上新建的军械库里 |
[18:25] | How interesting. | 太有意思了 |
[18:26] | Mr. White worked on that, | 是怀特先生建造的 |
[18:27] | the man who built this house. | 就是建这栋房子的人 |
[18:29] | 19世纪美国建筑师 美国建筑学史上最著名的建筑师之一 美国建筑师学会和城市艺术协会创始人 作品包括大都会艺术博物馆 自由女神像基座等 | |
[18:29] | Why didn’t you choose Richard Morris Hunt? | 你为什么没选理查德·莫里斯·亨特啊 |
[18:31] | People expected us to, but I like Mr. White. | 大家期望我们选他 但我喜欢怀特先生 |
[18:33] | He seems very unafraid. | 他感觉很无畏 |
[18:35] | He is unafraid of decoration, certainly. | 在装饰方面他确实很大胆无畏 |
[18:41] | Did Morris Hunt build your house? | 你们的房子是莫里斯·亨特建的吗 |
[18:43] | He did, but for the Henry Lowells, | 对 但是为亨利·洛弗尔一家建的 |
[18:44] | so we avoided the pangs of childbirth. | 所以我们躲过了建房子的痛苦 |
[18:47] | Still, it’s harder to make it one’s own, isn’t it, | 不过 如果房子不是为你而建 |
[18:49] | when it wasn’t built for you? | 很难真正把它变为自己的吧 |
[18:50] | – Is Morris Hunt a relation? – No. | -莫里斯·亨特是你们亲戚吗 -不是 |
[18:53] | Oh, I suppose Morris is quite a common name. | 也对 我想莫里斯是个很大众的姓氏 |
[18:59] | This is really delicious. | 这个太好吃了 |
[19:00] | I can’t remember when I’ve eaten better. | 我记不起有哪次比这顿饭吃得更好了 |
[19:01] | Thank you. I’ll tell Baudin. He’ll be delighted. | 谢谢 我会转告博丹 他肯定会高兴 |
[19:04] | Your chef is French? | 你厨师是法国人 |
[19:06] | Isn’t everyone’s these days? | 眼下大家的厨师不都是吗 |
[19:07] | It seems quite a luxury to me. | 对我而言似乎太奢侈了 |
[19:09] | We feel it’s worth it. | 我们感觉很值得 |
[19:11] | Well, don’t let’s overlook the cost. | 但总得考虑费用啊 |
[19:13] | Well, it’s excellent, which is all that matters. | 美味无比 这才最重要 |
[19:17] | Is the armory settled now? | 军械库里面都搞好了吗 |
[19:19] | Mrs. Druett is sure it will be, | 朱特夫人相信会布置妥当 |
[19:20] | and her husband is on the board. | 她丈夫在董事会里 |
[19:22] | If anything goes wrong, you can use the ballroom here. | 如果有问题的话 你可以用这里的舞厅 |
[19:24] | We’ll show you after dinner. | 晚饭后我们带你去看看 |
[19:26] | – You plan entertain, then? – When the time is right. | -你计划要招待宾客了 -等时机成熟吧 |
[19:29] | I’m afraid New York can be quite challenging at first. | 恐怕一开始纽约会带来诸多挑战 |
[19:32] | Can it? | 是吗 |
[19:33] | We haven’t found it so. Have we, George? | 我们倒没觉得 是吧 乔治 |
[19:35] | There is no challenge you are not equal to, my dear. | 没有什么挑战是你对付不了的 亲爱的 |
[19:50] | – When will you christen it? – We haven’t decided. | -你们什么时候开张迎客 -还没决定 |
[19:53] | I expect you’re rather sorry you settled on the armory. | 你们决定了要去军械库 现在后悔了吧 |
[19:57] | There’s something I’d like to talk to you about | 我有事想与您商谈 |
[19:59] | if I could detach you from the ladies for a moment. | 如果我能把您从女士们这里借一步说话 |
[20:01] | Of course. | 当然 |
[20:02] | – Please excuse us. – This way. | -我们先失陪 -这边走 |
[20:07] | I hope you’ll come to the bazaar. | 我希望你会来义卖 |
[20:09] | I’m rather sorry I couldn’t be part of it. | 我很遗憾没能参与其中 |
[20:10] | It seems a sensible cause for once. | 这次慈善活动似乎难得的有意义 |
[20:12] | I think so. | 我想是的 |
[20:13] | It seems the two charities were covering | 好像两个慈善活动 |
[20:15] | exactly the same ground. | 涉及的领域完全一样 |
[20:17] | Well, the offer stands. | 我的提议仍然有效 |
[20:19] | If the armory falls through, you can always come here. | 如果军械库不行 你们随时可以过来 |
[20:22] | That is very generous, Mrs. Russell. | 您真是太慷慨了 罗素夫人 |
[20:24] | I almost wish we would. | 我都有些希望能搬来这里了 |
[20:28] | – Gambling? – It’s mainly cards. | -赌钱 -主要是纸牌 |
[20:30] | Street games where anyone can play | 街头的赌局 谁都可以来 |
[20:31] | if they only have a few nickels. | 只要身上有几分钱就行 |
[20:33] | Why do the police allow it? | 警察为什么会允许 |
[20:35] | I’d say they do more than allow it. | 恐怕他们不仅仅是允许吧 |
[20:37] | How much did she lose? | 她输了多少 |
[20:39] | Every time she tried to say the sum, the tears came. | 每次她想说出金额 眼泪就出来了 |
[20:42] | Bridget found some brandy in the store cupboard. | 布丽姬特在储物柜里找到点白兰地安抚她 |
[20:44] | Did she tell you in the end? | 她最后说了吗 |
[20:46] | About $50. | 大概五十美元 |
[20:48] | – That’s why she was crying. – $50? | -所以她才哭泣 -五十美元 |
[20:53] | The men she owes will not be kind. | 她的债主不会善罢甘休 |
[20:55] | No. I’ve seen that for myself. | 对 我亲眼见识过 |
[20:58] | Can’t we help her? | 我们不能帮帮她吗 |
[20:59] | They like her so much downstairs, | 楼下的仆人都特别喜欢她 |
[21:01] | and I’d hate to see her sacked. | 而且我也不愿见她被解雇 |
[21:03] | Let me think. | 让我想想 |
[21:06] | And don’t forget our appointment tomorrow. | 别忘了我们明天的会面 |
[21:09] | What will you tell your aunts? | 你会怎么和两位姑姑说 |
[21:10] | I’ll say I’m going for a walk | 我会说我要出去散散步 |
[21:12] | and that I’ve asked you to accompany me. | 并且邀请了你来陪着我 |
[21:14] | And you don’t mind lying to them? | 你不介意对她们说谎吗 |
[21:16] | Don’t put it like that. | 别这么说 |
[21:19] | I’m just… | 我只是… |
[21:20] | trying to live my life. | 想过自己的生活 |
[21:23] | Miss Scott, you shouldn’t be doing that now. | 斯科特小姐 你现在不该做那个 |
[21:26] | It’s far too late. | 太晚了 |
[21:27] | And don’t let Miss Marian distract you. | 不要让玛丽安小姐打扰你 |
[21:30] | I’ve finished for the night. | 今晚的我已经完成 |
[21:32] | Tomorrow I want you to go through these. | 明天我要你看一下这些 |
[21:34] | Letters from assorted presidents, | 来自于各种部长 |
[21:36] | secretaries of state, artists in need of a patron, | 国务卿 需要资助的艺术家等等的信 |
[21:39] | that sort of thing. | 那类书信 |
[21:41] | How interesting. | 太有意思了 |
[21:43] | If only Mr. Oscar agreed with you. | 要是奥斯卡先生也这么想就好了 |
[21:46] | I do know you’ve taken a chance on me, Mrs. Van Rhijn. | 我知道您是冒险给了我这个机会 范莱茵夫人 |
[21:49] | And I appreciate it. | 我非常感激 |
[21:51] | Life has taught me one thing, Miss Scott. | 生活教会了我一件事 斯科特小姐 |
[21:54] | If you don’t want to be disappointed, | 如果你不想被人辜负 |
[21:55] | only help those who help themselves. | 那就只去帮助那些自助者 |
[21:59] | And now I’m going to bed. | 我去睡了 |
[22:03] | So there’ll be another line | 所以又会有一条 |
[22:04] | direct from New York to Chicago. | 纽约到芝加哥的直达线路 |
[22:06] | That’s it. Through Pennsylvania. | 对 过宾夕法尼亚州 |
[22:08] | Along the south shore of Lake Erie. | 沿伊利湖南岸 |
[22:10] | Across northing Ohio and Indiana | 一路从俄亥俄和印第安纳州向北 |
[22:11] | and on to Chicago and St. Louis. | 直到芝加哥和圣路易斯 |
[22:13] | What about the railroads that already cover the area? | 那这区域上现有的铁路呢 |
[22:16] | We can manage those. | 我们可以搞定他们 |
[22:18] | And you want to build a new station in the city? | 你想在城里修建一座新火车站 |
[22:21] | Which is where you come in. | 这就需要你的帮忙了 |
[22:23] | Even if I were able to persuade my fellow aldermen | 即便我可以说服我的议员同僚们 |
[22:25] | to pass the law, | 通过法案 |
[22:27] | I don’t quite see– | 我不明白… |
[22:29] | well, not to put too fine a point on it. | 这么做有何意义 |
[22:33] | You mean what’s in it for them? | 你是指这对他们有什么好处 |
[22:37] | Any shares you buy in the company now | 如果你们现在买入公司股票 |
[22:39] | should go sky-high when the bill is passed. | 法案通过以后都会涨翻天的 |
[22:41] | But suppose it would be hard for some of us | 但对我们部分人来说筹集这么大一笔钱 |
[22:43] | to raise the money. | 可不容易 |
[22:44] | I imagine you have a margin account. | 我想你们都有保证金账户吧 |
[22:47] | Surely most of them do. | 他们多数人应该都有 |
[22:49] | You mean we should buy shares now on margin | 你是希望我们先用保证金买入股票 |
[22:51] | and then pass the law? | 然后通过法案 |
[22:53] | I’m not telling you to do anything. | 我没让你们做任何事 |
[22:55] | And when it comes into law, | 等到法案通过以后 |
[22:57] | the shares will go through the ceiling. | 股价就会暴涨 |
[22:58] | So there’s no risk in my buying on margin, | 因此用保证金买入也没有风险 |
[23:00] | as I’ll never have to raise the money to cover it. | 这样我就不用筹钱买股票了 |
[23:03] | That’s what you’re saying. | 你说的是这个意思 |
[23:05] | I repeat. | 我重复一遍 |
[23:07] | I am not giving you any kind of instruction. | 我没有给你任何指示 |
[23:11] | This is why we’re not meeting in your office. | 所以我们不在你的办公室见面 |
[23:14] | You look very serious. | 你的表情很严肃 |
[23:17] | Not serious, thoughtful. | 不是严肃 是在深思 |
[23:19] | Well, I’m afraid you’re going to have to take | 恐怕你得回家 |
[23:20] | your thoughts home, Mr. Morris. | 去接着深思了 莫里斯先生 |
[23:22] | Mrs. Morris is tired. | 莫里斯夫人累了 |
[23:23] | I’m to tell you she wants to leave. | 我来告诉你她想回家 |
[23:25] | Well, I hope she’s thanked you for our wonderful evening. | 我希望她感谢了你让我们度过一个美好的夜晚 |
[23:29] | You’ll let me know? | 你会答复我吧 |
[23:30] | Yes. I’ll let you know. | 是的 我会答复你 |
[23:38] | Congratulations, my dear. | 恭喜你 亲爱的 |
[23:39] | An excellent dinner, brilliantly orchestrated. | 美妙绝伦的晚宴 安排得非常完美 |
[23:43] | I think you’ve caught me the fish I was after. | 我觉得你帮我钓到了一条期盼已久大鱼 |
[23:46] | I’m glad. | 我很高兴 |
[23:53] | Well, they’ve gone. | 他们走了 |
[23:56] | The master and mistress are having a drink in the library to recover, | 老爷和夫人在书房小酌休息 |
[23:59] | but well done, monsieur, a triumphant evening. | 干得好 先生 一个大获全胜的夜晚 |
[24:03] | You hear that, Monsieur Baudin? | 听见了吗 博丹先生 |
[24:05] | What a comfort it is to know that all the hard work | 知道我们的辛勤劳作没有枉费 |
[24:07] | has been worthwhile. | 真是令人欣慰 |
[24:09] | Has it? | 没有吗 |
[24:14] | Marian said you wanted to see me? | 玛丽安说你想要见我 |
[24:16] | Shut the door. | 把门关上 |
[24:19] | Now, I need to make one thing clear. | 现在我要说清楚一件事 |
[24:22] | You are not to encourage Marian over that tiresome young man. | 你不准再撮合玛丽安和那个讨厌的年轻人了 |
[24:25] | – Oh, but I didn’t. – Yes, you did. | -我没有 -你就有 |
[24:27] | “How nice he is. | “他人真好 |
[24:28] | What fun it will be for her to have a friend in the city.” | 她在城里有个朋友该多么有好啊” |
[24:32] | – But it will be. – Ada… | -这是实话 -艾达… |
[24:33] | she hasn’t a penny. | 她没有一分钱财产 |
[24:35] | And I can’t leave her any of the Van Rhijn money, | 我不能把范莱茵家的钱留给她 |
[24:37] | which should and will go to Oscar. | 那些理应由奥斯卡继承 |
[24:39] | What will happen to me? | 那我怎么办 |
[24:41] | Don’t worry about that. I will outlive you. | 这你不用担心 我会活得比你长 |
[24:43] | Now, as I was saying. | 说回正题 |
[24:45] | Marian has no income, and her birth– | 玛丽安没有收入 至于她的出身 |
[24:48] | thanks to her mother– | 因为她的母亲 |
[24:50] | is not impeccable. | 也不是无懈可击 |
[24:51] | In short, without a decent marriage, | 简单来说 如果没有一个像样的婚姻 |
[24:53] | she will be lost. | 她就完了 |
[24:55] | But he’s a lawyer. | 但他是个律师 |
[24:56] | Oh, if you ask me, he’s a shyster | 要我说 他就是个讼棍罢了 |
[24:58] | with neither background nor fortune. | 既没有背景也没有资产 |
[25:00] | It’s obvious. | 很显然 |
[25:00] | He sees her as a ticket out of Doylestown. | 他只把她当成离开多伊尔斯敦的车票 |
[25:02] | But if they like each other… | 但是如果他们互相倾慕 |
[25:06] | Marrying for money is not always | 为了钱而结婚并不总能 |
[25:08] | a guarantee of happiness, Agnes. | 确保得到幸福 艾格妮丝 |
[25:12] | I don’t wish her to marry for money. | 我并不希望她为了钱而结婚 |
[25:15] | Only to marry for security, support, | 但我希望她的婚姻能带来安全 扶助 |
[25:20] | and, God willing, affection. | 如果老天保佑 还有感情 |
[25:22] | Would you deny her that? | 你不希望她拥有这些吗 |
[25:25] | Of course not. | 我当然希望 |
[25:28] | Then good night. | 那就晚安了 |
[25:44] | I’m afraid we’re a little late. | 我担心我们有点迟到了 |
[25:46] | I’m sure he’ll wait. | 他肯定会等 |
[25:47] | How is Mrs. Bauer today? | 鲍尔太太今天怎么样 |
[25:48] | I believe she put the silver back, | 她已经把银器放回去了 |
[25:50] | but in despair about everything else. | 但还是对其余一切事绝望万分 |
[25:52] | I can find the money. | 我可以筹到钱 |
[25:53] | I just have to figure out how to get it | 我只需想出办法在拿到钱时 |
[25:55] | without telling anyone why I need it. | 不告诉任何人用钱的原因 |
[25:57] | – I don’t believe in secrets. – Really? | -我信不过秘密 -真的吗 |
[26:00] | I don’t believe in them because they never work. | 我信不过是因为秘密从不管用 |
[26:02] | Everything always comes out in the end. | 最终所有事情都会大白于天下 |
[26:04] | You should know. | 你最清楚了 |
[26:05] | You keep secrets better than most. | 你比谁都擅长保密 |
[26:14] | It’s wonderful. When was it built? | 真漂亮 这是什么时候建的 |
[26:17] | It was finished almost ten years ago. | 差不多十年前建成的 |
[26:19] | And the statue at the top was made by a woman. | 最上面的那个雕像是由一位女士所雕塑 |
[26:21] | You’ll like that. | 你会喜欢这一点 |
[26:23] | I do like it. Who was she? | 我确实喜欢 她是谁 |
[26:25] | Emma Stebbins, | 艾玛·斯特宾斯 |
[26:26] | the first woman to receive a sculptural commission | 她是在纽约市接到雕塑委托的 |
[26:29] | in New York City. | 第一位女性 |
[26:30] | I hope you just read that in the guidebook. | 我希望你是刚刚从导游手册上看来的 |
[26:34] | I did. | 确实 |
[26:35] | What a relief. You scared me for a moment. | 真是松了一口气 你刚刚吓了我一跳 |
[26:39] | This is Miss Scott. | 这位是斯科特小姐 |
[26:41] | Good day, Miss Scott. | 日安 斯科特小姐 |
[26:42] | I gather that you wish to ask for my help. | 听说你有事情想向我咨询 |
[26:43] | If you don’t see it as impertinent, sir. | 如果你不认为太唐突的话 先生 |
[26:46] | As a matter of fact, I’m curious. | 事实上 我很好奇 |
[26:48] | – Thank you. – Then I’ll leave you to it. | -谢谢 -那我就不打扰了 |
[27:03] | Hello, Miss Brook. | 你好 布鲁克小姐 |
[27:05] | Miss Russell. | 罗素小姐 |
[27:06] | This is my mother’s maid, Turner. | 这是我母亲的女佣 特纳小姐 |
[27:08] | She’s been kind enough to take me to a fitting. | 她好心带我去试衣服 |
[27:10] | Give us a moment, will you? | 让我们单独聊聊 可以吗 |
[27:13] | She was really spying on me for my mother | 其实她是替我母亲来监视我 |
[27:15] | to make sure I didn’t change the design. | 确保我不会改衣服的设计 |
[27:17] | I saw your brother yesterday. | 我昨天见到你哥哥了 |
[27:19] | He said. | 他提及了 |
[27:20] | Although he doesn’t expect to be asked back anytime soon. | 不过他觉得自己短期内不会再收到邀请 |
[27:23] | He had dinner with your cousin last night | 他昨天和你表哥在尼克博克 |
[27:23] | 尼克博克 纽约市审视俱乐部 成立于1871年 名字来源于美国作家华盛顿·欧文的笔名”迪德里希·尼克博克” 被认为是美国最排外的上层俱乐部 也是世界上最负盛名的贵族俱乐部之一 | |
[27:25] | at the Knickerbocker. | 一起吃了晚餐 |
[27:26] | Mr. Van Rhijn came across the street | 范莱茵先生从街对面走过来 |
[27:27] | and they went together. | 然后他们一起去了 |
[27:30] | He did make me laugh. | 他确实能逗我笑 |
[27:31] | Yes, Oscar can be quite witty. | 是的 奥斯卡很风趣 |
[27:33] | I thought he was charming. | 我觉得他很有魅力 |
[27:35] | He wanted me to join them for dinner, | 他想让我和他们共进晚餐 |
[27:36] | but, of course, it was out of the question. | 当然我也去不了 |
[27:39] | How strange these rules are. | 这些规矩真奇怪 |
[27:41] | Why shouldn’t you go out to dinner | 为什么你不能和哥哥 |
[27:42] | with your brother and a friend? | 和朋友出去吃晚餐 |
[27:43] | What could be more normal? | 这不是很正常的事吗 |
[27:44] | Not to my mother. | 对我母亲来说可不是 |
[27:47] | Look. Is that man trying to catch your attention? | 看啊 那人是想找你吗 |
[27:49] | I think he is. | 我猜是吧 |
[27:50] | Good day, Miss Russell. | 再见 罗素小姐 |
[27:53] | I suspect you ought to keep an eye on her. | 我想你得多盯着点她了 |
[27:55] | I will. | 我会的 |
[28:01] | Is everything settled? | 一切都谈妥了吗 |
[28:02] | Miss Scott is going to write to me. | 斯科特小姐会给我写信 |
[28:04] | You must promise to send a bill. | 你要保证把账单寄给我 |
[28:06] | Don’t worry about that. | 别担心那个 |
[28:08] | And now this really is goodbye. | 这次真的要告别了 |
[28:09] | Had my final interview this morning | 我今早结束了最后的面试 |
[28:11] | and I leave for home tomorrow. | 明天就回家 |
[28:13] | I hope you have plans for tonight. | 但愿你今晚有约 |
[28:14] | How could I? | 怎么可能 |
[28:15] | I don’t know anyone in New York except you. | 除了你 我在纽约不认识任何人 |
[28:18] | Well, that’ll soon change | 如果你搬来这里 |
[28:19] | if you come here to live. | 情况很快就会改变 |
[28:22] | New York has plenty to offer the new arrival. | 纽约对新人来说乐趣众多 |
[28:24] | But what would I have to offer New York? | 但我能回馈纽约什么呢 |
[28:28] | You’ll let us know how it turns out? | 你会让我们知道最终结果吧 |
[28:30] | – Promise? – Promise. | -答应我 -答应你 |
[28:32] | You’ll be the first person I tell. | 我第一个就告诉你 |
[28:48] | – Miss Scott. – Jack. | -斯科特小姐 -杰克 |
[28:50] | You were in a hurry when you left this afternoon. | 我看你下午急匆匆地出门 |
[28:52] | We were late for Mr. Raikes and– | 我们急着去见雷克斯先生 |
[28:54] | Mr. Raikes? | 雷克斯先生吗 |
[28:56] | Miss Marian’s lawyer? | 玛丽安小姐的律师吗 |
[28:58] | He returns to Pennsylvania in the morning. | 他明早要回宾夕法尼亚州 |
[29:00] | She wanted to say goodbye. | 她要去道别 |
[29:01] | I bet she did. | 我猜也是 |
[29:02] | She took her time saying goodbye to him | 他昨天还在这的时候 |
[29:04] | when he was here yesterday. | 她道别了很久 |
[29:05] | I had to leave them to it in the hall. | 我只好先离开 让他们独处 |
[29:07] | And where did she meet him today? | 今天他们在哪见面 |
[29:09] | The Bethesda Fountain in Central Park. | 中央公园的毕仕达喷泉 |
[29:11] | Why did you say “we” were late for Mr. Raikes? | 你刚才为什么说”我们”急着去见他 |
[29:15] | Did I? I meant she was late. | 是吗 我指的是她 |
[29:17] | But then why say “we”? | 那为什么说”我们” |
[29:19] | Oh, for heaven’s sake. | 天哪 |
[29:20] | She kept Miss Marian company | 她陪玛丽安小姐 |
[29:22] | so she could say goodbye to an old friend. | 好让去跟老友道别 |
[29:24] | You know Mrs. Van Rhijn doesn’t like her to go out alone. | 你知道范莱茵夫人不喜欢她单独外出 |
[29:28] | I was just asking. | 我就是问问 |
[29:29] | Well, don’t. | 少管闲事 |
[29:35] | Cousin Oscar, I didn’t know you were here for dinner. | 奥斯卡表哥 我不知道你来吃晚餐 |
[29:38] | I hope you’re not disappointed. | 我希望你别觉得失望 |
[29:40] | Quite the contrary. | 恰恰相反 |
[29:42] | As a matter of fact, I need your advice. | 实际上我想来找你商量件事 |
[29:45] | – How intriguing. – We have a problem. | -真有意思 -我们有个麻烦 |
[29:47] | And I want to spare Aunt Agnes any concern. | 而我想替艾格妮丝姑姑分担些 |
[29:58] | Your coachman let me wait in here. | 你的车夫让我就在车里等着 |
[30:00] | I said you were expecting me. | 我说你在等我 |
[30:02] | Is that so? | 是吗 |
[30:03] | I must teach him to be more circumspect in the future. | 我得让他以后更加谨慎些了 |
[30:12] | We’re buying shares now. All of us. | 我们现在购入股份 所有人 |
[30:15] | When will you announce the law? | 那你们何时宣布法案 |
[30:17] | I’ll send a message when I settle the date. | 等定下日期我再通知你 |
[30:19] | But there are no objections? | 没有人反对吗 |
[30:21] | No, not to the plan. | 没有反对计划的 |
[30:24] | Only to me. | 只有反对我的 |
[30:25] | I’m afraid they’re very snobbish, Mr. Russell. | 恐怕这些人就是趋炎附势 罗素先生 |
[30:28] | Are they? | 是吗 |
[30:31] | Well, maybe they’re right to be. | 也许他们这样也对 |
[30:35] | Where would you like me to take you? | 你想去哪里 |
[30:37] | Put me down here. | 这里就行了 |
[30:41] | Stop here, Johnson. | 停车 约翰逊 |
[30:45] | Good day to you, Mr. Russell. | 祝你日安 罗素先生 |
[30:48] | A good day for us all, I think. | 祝我们所有人顺利 |
[31:05] | You asked for my advice, but… | 你说想找我商量 但… |
[31:07] | what you really want is my money. | 其实你是想要我的钱 |
[31:10] | Why can’t Mama pay the debt? | 为什么不让我母亲来还债 |
[31:12] | Because if she knew about it, she’d dismiss Mrs. Bauer. | 如果她知道这事 会开除鲍尔太太 |
[31:15] | And we’d have to break in a new cook. | 然后我们就要另聘厨娘 |
[31:18] | I suspect you’re softhearted. | 原来你心这么软 |
[31:19] | I think you feel sorry for the woman | 我猜你是可怜那女人 |
[31:21] | and don’t want her to lose her job. | 不想她丢了工作 |
[31:22] | No, I don’t. | 对 我不想 |
[31:25] | And would my $50 ever be repaid? | 那我的五十美元能收回来吗 |
[31:28] | It will. | 当然 |
[31:29] | It may take time, but I have an allowance. | 可能要等一阵子 但我有零花钱 |
[31:36] | I wonder if you’d do me a favor in return. | 不知你能否帮我个忙作为回报 |
[31:38] | Of course, if I can. | 当然 如果我能做得到的话 |
[31:40] | Then give a luncheon party. | 办个午宴 |
[31:42] | And invite Miss Gladys Russell. | 邀请格拉迪斯·罗素小姐来 |
[31:44] | Would she be allowed to come? | 她家人会允许她来吗 |
[31:45] | She’d be allowed to lunch with you. | 他们会允许她跟你共进午餐 |
[31:48] | But don’t you already know her? | 但你不是已经认识她了吗 |
[31:50] | Not well enough. | 还不够熟悉 |
[31:51] | Let me sit next to her, | 让我坐在她身边 |
[31:53] | and you can save Mrs. Bauer. | 这样你就能救鲍尔太太 |
[31:55] | That is my final offer. | 不答应就免谈 |
[31:57] | What’s all this? | 怎么回事 |
[31:59] | Never mind, Aunt Ada. | 没事 艾达姨妈 |
[32:01] | Cousin Marian and I are just seeing eye to eye. | 玛丽安表妹和我相谈甚欢 |
[32:07] | I saw Charles Fane today. | 我今天遇到查尔斯·费恩了 |
[32:09] | He said the armory’s fallen through. | 他说军械库的事黄了 |
[32:10] | It’s so tiresome. | 真扫兴 |
[32:12] | It turns out it was double-booked. | 原来是有人预订重复了 |
[32:14] | They’re very sorry, but I’m afraid they won’t budge. | 对方表示抱歉 但毫不让步 |
[32:16] | And we can’t change the date. | 可我们也不能改日期 |
[32:18] | So what happens now? | 那现在怎么办 |
[32:19] | We’ll go to the Fifth Avenue Hotel. | 改去第五大道酒店 |
[32:21] | We’ll have to pay, of course, so the profit will come down. | 当然我们得付钱 收益自然也会减少 |
[32:25] | It’s really too annoying to be borne. | 真是令人烦心 |
[32:27] | You were offered Mrs. Russell’s ballroom | 罗素夫人说你可以用她家的舞厅 |
[32:29] | – for nothing. – I know, but– | -而且免费 -我知道 但是… |
[32:31] | But what? It’s a lot more splendid | 但什么 总比那家 |
[32:33] | than some down-at-heel hotel. | 破酒店气派多了 |
[32:35] | It wasn’t my decision. I had to defer to Aurora. | 这不是我的决定 得看奥萝拉 |
[32:38] | She’d never have gone against you. | 她从未反对过你 |
[32:40] | Why do you care? | 关你什么事 |
[32:41] | I don’t want to annoy George Russell. | 我不想惹怒乔治·罗素 |
[32:44] | Not at the moment. | 尤其是这种时候 |
[32:45] | Well, I’m afraid you’re too late. | 恐怕已经太迟了 |
[32:47] | We’re going to the hotel. It’s all settled. | 我们已经决定去酒店了 |
[32:51] | Pity. | 真可惜 |
[33:03] | – May I have a word? – Of course. | -我能跟你谈谈吗 -当然 |
[33:06] | The money you were going to borrow from Oscar– | 你打算向奥斯卡借的钱 |
[33:08] | How did you find out? | 你怎么知道的 |
[33:09] | I could see something was up when I came into the room, | 我一进屋就知道你们在商量小秘密 |
[33:12] | so I got it out of him after dinner. | 所以晚餐后我从他嘴里问了出来 |
[33:14] | Anyway, I told him I would prefer to pay | 总之 我告诉他我更愿意亲自 |
[33:17] | Mrs. Bauer’s debt myself. | 偿还鲍尔太太的债务 |
[33:19] | I’m relieved. | 太好了 |
[33:21] | But can you manage it? | 但你能付得起吗 |
[33:22] | I’m not quite penniless, thank you. | 我还不至于身无分文 多谢关心 |
[33:25] | Whatever Agnes likes to imply. | 不管艾格妮丝如何暗示 |
[33:27] | But next time, | 不过下次 |
[33:29] | please come to me first. | 请先来找我 |
[33:30] | I will. | 我会的 |
[33:31] | I would have felt very guilty selling Gladys Russell to him. | 不然我会特别内疚把格拉迪斯·罗素出卖给他 |
[33:34] | She deserves better than a fortune hunter. | 比起猎财者 她值得更好的人 |
[33:37] | Or shouldn’t I say that? | 还是我也不该这么说 |
[33:39] | You can say it to me. | 你可以对我说这些 |
[33:42] | But what I don’t understand is how Mrs. Bauer | 我只是不太明白鲍尔太太一开始 |
[33:44] | fell into debt in the first place. | 是怎么陷入债务危机的 |
[33:46] | And will it happen again? | 这种情况还会发生吗 |
[33:48] | I don’t think so. | 应该不会了 |
[33:49] | She’s been foolish, by her own admission. | 她承认是自己鲁莽了 |
[33:52] | But she means to do better in the future. | 但未来会更加谨慎 |
[33:54] | Let us pray. | 但愿如此 |
[33:56] | I’ll make it up to you, I promise. | 我会还给你的 我保证 |
[33:59] | You make it up to me by being here. | 你待在这里就是对我的偿还 |
[34:03] | Aunt Ada, can I ask you something? | 艾达姑姑 我能问你一件事吗 |
[34:07] | You told me Aunt Agnes hated my father | 你跟我说艾格妮丝姑姑恨我父亲 |
[34:08] | because he sold our family house | 是因为他卖掉了家传的房子 |
[34:10] | and abdicated his responsibility toward you. | 摒弃了对你应有的责任 |
[34:12] | I did. | 没错 |
[34:14] | Do you feel the same? | 你对我爸爸 |
[34:16] | About Daddy? | 也是同样的感受吗 |
[34:20] | It’s different for me. | 这对我来说不同 |
[34:23] | Agnes has always carried the weight of the world | 艾格妮丝总是把所有的责任都担在了 |
[34:25] | on her shoulders. | 自己身上 |
[34:28] | I was the baby. | 而我是那个小孩 |
[34:30] | Henry used to tease me and make me laugh. | 亨利过去经常逗我欢笑 |
[34:34] | So no. | 所以不 |
[34:36] | I don’t feel the same way. | 我不这么认为 |
[34:41] | – Now I have a question. – Hmm? | -我现在有一个问题 -什么 |
[34:44] | Have you heard back from Mr. Raikes? | 你收到雷克斯先生的回信了吗 |
[34:46] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[34:48] | Please. | 拜托了 |
[34:51] | Be kind to your Aunt Agnes when you do. | 等你收到回信 对艾格妮丝姑姑友善点 |
[34:53] | Will she be kind to me? | 她会对我友善吗 |
[34:57] | All we both want is your happiness. | 我们两个人都只希望你幸福 |
[35:00] | You may disagree with us. | 你或许不认同我们 |
[35:03] | But that is all we want. | 但那是我们全部的心愿 |
[35:05] | Please remember it. | 请记住这点 |
[35:10] | Good night, my dear. | 晚安 亲爱的 |
[35:12] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[35:15] | And, Aunt Ada. | 艾达姑姑 |
[35:18] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[35:20] | I mean it. | 我真心的 |
[35:22] | You wouldn’t say it if you did not. | 如果不是真心你就不会说了 |
[36:03] | 慈善义卖从第七军团军械库 迁至第五大道酒店举行 | |
[36:30] | Well, it does feel much smaller than… | 感觉上并不小… |
[36:32] | I hope it won’t be too… | 我希望不会太… |
[36:36] | 慈善信托基金会 战争遗孀及遗孤 | |
[36:36] | How beautiful. | 多美呀 |
[36:38] | It’s so pretty. | 真好看 |
[36:39] | – Look over here. – Oh, beautiful. | -看这里 -真美 |
[36:42] | Do show me how. | 请务必向我展示下 |
[36:47] | How lovely. | 真不错 |
[36:48] | I think I’ll just put a few out at a time. | 我想的是一次展示一点 |
[36:49] | Otherwise they look a bit ordinary. | 不然看上去有点太普通了 |
[36:51] | I’ll replace them as they sell. | 等卖掉后再替换 |
[36:54] | – Are you quite ready? – Almost. | -你准备好了吗 -差不多了 |
[36:56] | We’re about to open the doors. | 我们准备开门了 |
[36:58] | It’s a shame about the armory. | 没能在军械库举行挺遗憾的 |
[37:00] | I know. | 我知道 |
[37:01] | We should have accepted Mrs. Russell’s offer, | 我们本该接受罗素夫人的提议 |
[37:03] | but Anne Morris wouldn’t hear of it. | 但安妮·莫里斯不允许 |
[37:05] | What offer? | 什么提议 |
[37:06] | She said we could use her ballroom. | 她说我们可以使用她家的舞厅 |
[37:08] | Wouldn’t that have been better? | 那样不是更好吗 |
[37:09] | Anne said we would have been indebted. | 安妮说那样我们就欠了人情 |
[37:12] | Oh, look, here’s Mrs. Astor. | 瞧 阿斯特夫人来了 |
[37:15] | Right on time. | 时候刚好 |
[37:16] | Isn’t she a marvel? | 她真是美极了 |
[37:18] | A queen among her people. | 人群中的女王 |
[37:21] | You are so good and kind to come. | 您能前来真是太好了 |
[37:24] | Nonsense. It is what I do. | 这有什么 我就是做这些的 |
[37:29] | Mrs. Astor has agreed to open the bazaar. | 阿斯特夫人同意为义卖致开幕词 |
[37:32] | What clearer sign can there be to show us the value | 还有什么比这更能展现我们 |
[37:36] | of our endeavors? | 努力的价值呢 |
[37:38] | Mrs. Astor? | 阿斯特夫人 |
[37:40] | I have no speech beyond a simple desire | 我只有一个简单的愿望 |
[37:42] | that you should spend what you can | 各位应该慷慨解囊 |
[37:44] | to help these distressed mothers | 帮助这些忧心忡忡的母亲 |
[37:46] | and their unhappy children. | 和她们不幸的孩子 |
[37:49] | So saying, | 这样的话 |
[37:51] | I declare this bazaar well and truly open. | 我祝愿义卖顺利进行 正式开始 |
[38:16] | Good morning, Mrs. Chamberlain. | 早安 张伯伦夫人 |
[38:19] | You are both polite and brave, Miss Brook, | 布鲁克小姐 你真是礼貌又勇敢 |
[38:22] | since I’m quite sure | 我很确信 |
[38:23] | Mrs. Van Rhijn has warned you against me. | 范莱茵夫人警告过你不要跟我来往 |
[38:25] | You’re clever to know who I am. | 看来您很清楚我是谁 |
[38:27] | I know a lot of what goes on in this city. | 我知道这座城市里发生的很多事情 |
[38:30] | Your things are charming. | 你售卖的东西真可爱 |
[38:33] | Let me buy these. | 我买这些 |
[38:35] | Here. | 给 |
[38:36] | It’s five cents for each packet. | 每包五分钱 |
[38:38] | Keep it. The cause is a good one. | 不用找零 慈善是崇高的事业 |
[38:41] | You are very kind. | 你真是太好心了 |
[38:43] | No, you are kind. | 不 是你太善良 |
[38:47] | I wish you would come and call on me, | 我很希望你能来拜访我 |
[38:48] | but I suppose that is out of the question. | 但我估计那是不可能了 |
[38:54] | I must leave you, as I think | 我必须离开了 |
[38:55] | you are about to pay for this exchange. | 你可能得因为我们的交谈被训话了 |
[39:02] | Why were you talking to that woman? | 你为什么在跟那个女人说话 |
[39:04] | I’m selling handkerchiefs for charity, | 我在为了慈善事业售卖手帕 |
[39:06] | – and she bought some. – I see I must be blunt. | -她买了一些 -看来我得直截了当了 |
[39:08] | Mrs. Chamberlain has things, terrible things, in her past | 张伯伦夫人有着不可告人的过去 可怕的过去 |
[39:12] | which render her unsuitable as an acquaintance | 作为受过良好教育的年轻女性 |
[39:14] | for any well-brought-up young lady. | 不适合与她有来往 |
[39:16] | – My father would be flattered. – Marian, I’m serious. | -我父亲听了肯定很高兴 -玛丽安 我是认真的 |
[39:18] | Mrs. Chamberlain’s money is tainted. | 张伯伦夫人的钱不干净 |
[39:21] | If you were living in one room | 如果你住在一个 |
[39:22] | with neither heat nor water, | 没暖气没水的屋子里 |
[39:23] | I’m sure you would not find it so. | 我相信你就不会这么想了 |
[39:25] | Oh, look. | 看啊 |
[39:28] | Oh, first Mrs. Chamberlain and now them. | 先是张伯伦夫人 现在又是他们 |
[39:29] | Why don’t we just go outside and roam in the gutter? | 我们怎么不直接去外面的阴沟里闲逛 |
[39:32] | It will save time. | 那样还更节省时间 |
[39:33] | Remember, Agnes, charity is the order of the day. | 记住 艾格尼斯 慈善[宽容]是今天的议程 |
[39:37] | I do not know how much more I can take. | 我不知道自己还能忍受多久 |
[39:39] | Try to remain calm. | 保持冷静 |
[39:40] | – Marian. – Oscar. | -玛丽安 -奥斯卡 |
[39:44] | You should know, | 你应该知道 |
[39:45] | Aunt Ada is going to pay Mrs. Bauer’s debt. | 艾达姑姑打算替鲍尔太太还债了 |
[39:48] | Then I must use every opportunity. | 那我必须好好利用所有机会 |
[39:55] | Miss Russell. | 罗素小姐 |
[39:56] | How well you look. | 你真漂亮 |
[39:58] | Mother, may I present Mr. Van Rhijn? | 母亲 容我介绍 这位是范莱茵先生 |
[40:00] | How do you know my daughter, sir? | 你是如何结识我女儿的 先生 |
[40:01] | Well, I don’t. Not really. | 其实不算认识 点头之交 |
[40:02] | But, uh, I want to. Very much. | 但我想认识 非常想 |
[40:05] | We cannot always have what we want. | 人不能总得偿所愿 |
[40:07] | Oh, Mother, Mr. Van Rhijn is teasing. | 母亲 范莱茵先生只是玩笑话 |
[40:08] | He’s a friend of Larry’s. | 他是拉里的朋友 |
[40:09] | We met when he came by the other evening | 那晚他来家里带拉里出去用晚餐 |
[40:11] | to take Larry for dinner. | 我们是那时认识的 |
[40:12] | You know Mr. Van Rhijn is our neighbor. | 你知道范莱茵先生是我们的邻居 |
[40:14] | Or at least, my mother is. | 或至少我母亲是 |
[40:16] | I was saying to Miss Russell, | 我之前与罗素小姐说 |
[40:17] | we should all see more of each other. | 我们该多见见面 |
[40:18] | Maybe. | 也许吧 |
[40:26] | Dare I say we have outdone ourselves? | 我能说这回办得相当出色吗 |
[40:28] | Yes, I think so too. | 我也这么认为 |
[40:31] | Mrs. Morris. Good morning. | 莫里斯夫人 早上好 |
[40:33] | Is Mr. Morris here? | 莫里斯先生在吗 |
[40:35] | He’s hoping to look in later. | 他希望稍后过来看看 |
[40:36] | Then he may miss it. | 那他就要错过了 |
[40:37] | – I don’t understand. – You will. | -我不明白 -之后你就会了 |
[40:40] | And you must be Mrs. Fane. | 你一定是费恩夫人吧 |
[40:42] | Yes, Mr. Russell, I’m Aurora Fane. | 是的 罗素先生 我是奥萝拉·费恩 |
[40:44] | So the pair of you decided | 这么说是你们俩认为 |
[40:46] | my wife’s ballroom was not good enough | 我妻子的舞厅不够格 |
[40:48] | to raise money for your charity? | 用来举办你们的筹钱慈善活动咯 |
[40:50] | Mr. Russell, there’s no need– | 罗素先生 实在无需… |
[40:52] | How much money do you hope to raise | 你期望接下去三天 |
[40:53] | over the next three days? | 筹集到多少钱 |
[40:56] | I suppose I’m hoping for $30 or even $40. | 我想大概三十 或甚至四十美元吧 |
[40:59] | Here’s $100, on one condition. | 这里是一百 我只有一个条件 |
[41:01] | What? | 什么 |
[41:03] | That everything on this stall is delivered to my house | 这个摊位的所有物品都在一小时内 |
[41:05] | on Fifth Avenue within the hour. | 送到我在第五大道的家中 |
[41:06] | This is my card. | 这是我的名片 |
[41:08] | – Can you do it? – Uh, yes, I suppose we can. | -能做到吗 -我想可以 |
[41:10] | It is why we’re here, isn’t it? | 毕竟这是我们来这里的原因 对吧 |
[41:12] | I mean, that is the point. | 这才是目的 |
[41:15] | Of course! | 当然 |
[41:17] | – So you’ll take it. – Thank you. | -这么说你接受了 -谢谢 |
[41:20] | Very generous. | 您真慷慨 |
[41:21] | You will also close and dismantle your stall. | 你还要关闭并拆除你的摊位 |
[41:26] | This is my address on Fifth Avenue. | 这是我在第五大道上的住址 |
[41:27] | – I see. – $100. | -明白了 -一百美金 |
[41:29] | I’m buying everything, but it must be delivered within the hour. | 我会买下一切 但一小时内东西必须运走 |
[41:31] | And the stall will be closed and taken down at once. | 而且摊位必须立刻关闭拆除 |
[41:34] | As you wish. | 如您所愿 |
[41:37] | I will buy everything on your stall for $100. | 我愿意用一百美元买下你摊位上的一切 |
[41:40] | Please wrap it up… | 请全部装好… |
[41:43] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 先生 |
[41:45] | – What have we here? – Gloves, sir. | -这边是卖什么 -手套 先生 |
[41:46] | I will take all of them. | 我全都要了 |
[41:47] | Mrs. Russell, can’t you stop this? | 罗素夫人 你不能阻止这一切吗 |
[41:49] | Why? The bazaar will be the most successful of the season. | 为什么 这将是本社交季最成功的义卖 |
[41:52] | All right. | 好 |
[41:53] | – Madam, $100. – It won’t help you, you know. | -女士 一百美元 -这也帮不了你 |
[41:56] | This sort of stunt does not impress | 这种花招无法打动 |
[41:57] | the people you want to win over. | 你想讨欢心的那些人 |
[41:59] | Mrs. Morris, this sort of stunt impresses everyone. | 莫里斯夫人 这种花招能打动所有人 |
[42:08] | I’m sure your father means well, | 我想你父亲一定是好心 |
[42:09] | but I’m afraid his generosity will close the bazaar | 但恐怕他的慷慨会让这次义卖 |
[42:12] | before it’s really begun. | 在没开始前就结束了 |
[42:15] | I don’t think he means well at all. | 我觉得他根本没安好心 |
[42:17] | – No? – No. | -是吗 -没错 |
[42:18] | And I don’t blame him one little bit. | 但我不怪他 |
[42:24] | $100, Miss Brook? | 一百 布鲁克小姐 |
[42:25] | I feel I should say $500, | 我感觉自己该说五百 |
[42:26] | and we could transform the whole endeavor. | 这样就能瓦解刚才您的所有努力 |
[42:29] | But I’ll take $100. | 但一百我也接受 |
[42:32] | Well, I think that’s everyone. | 我想所有人都拿到钱了 |
[42:34] | Can I help with packing it up? | 需要我帮助打包吗 |
[42:36] | Oh, no, I’m enjoying myself. | 不必 我很享受这一切 |
[42:38] | 威廉·谢尔曼将军曾成功实施”向海洋进军”的作战方案 深入南部同盟腹地佐治亚州 攻下萨凡纳 | |
[42:38] | It’s not every day you watch Sherman march into the sea. | 谢尔曼向海洋进军的盛况 可不是天天能见 |
[42:42] | Your party’s over, Mrs. Morris. | 你的聚会结束了 莫里斯夫人 |
[42:44] | You are to be congratulated. | 我应该恭喜你 |
[42:45] | It’s been a great success. | 非常出色的成绩 |
[42:48] | And now it’s time to go home. | 现在该回家了 |
[42:50] | Are you ready, my dear? | 准备好了吗 亲爱的 |
[42:53] | – Larry? – You’d better go. | -拉里 -你该走了 |
[42:55] | Sherman’s leaving. | 谢尔曼要走了 |
[42:57] | Miss Brook. | 告辞 布鲁克小姐 |
[43:03] | Goodbye, my dear. | 再见 亲爱的 |
[43:04] | You’re not going. | 你不会也要走了吧 |
[43:06] | There’s nothing to stay for. | 留在这也无用 |
[43:09] | The lion has roared. | 雄狮已吼 |
[43:18] | Seems to me the ship is sinking. | 看来船已沉没 |
[43:20] | Let us follow the example of rats. | 让我们跟着老鼠[叛徒]走吧 |
[43:23] | I don’t know how nice that is, Agnes. | 这么说太刻薄了 艾格妮丝 |
[43:27] | Oh, I’m so sorry, apologies. | 真不好意思 抱歉 |
[43:37] | Mama, you’re back very early. | 妈妈 你提早回来了 |
[43:39] | I thought we were meeting at Mrs. Morris’ bazaar. | 我以为我们要在莫里斯夫人的义卖见面 |
[43:42] | The bazaar is over, my dear. | 义卖结束了 亲爱的 |
[43:44] | Closed and finished. | 关闭且结束 |
[43:46] | What? I thought it was to last three days. | 什么 那不是持续三天的活动吗 |
[43:48] | So it was. | 原本是 |
[43:50] | But a man called George Russell decided otherwise. | 但一个叫做乔治·罗素的男人决定改变日程 |
[43:54] | I’d say they learned their lesson. | 我觉得他们已经吸取了教训 |
[43:57] | I think neither Mrs. Morris nor Mrs. Fane | 我想莫里斯夫人和费恩夫人 |
[43:59] | will ever forget this one. | 绝不会忘记今天 |
[44:01] | What was he like? | 他什么样 |
[44:03] | Well, yesterday I would have said he was nobody. | 昨天我会说他只是个无名小卒 |
[44:07] | But today? | 但今天嘛 |
[44:09] | I’m obliged to concede that he is someone to be reckoned with. | 我不得不承认他是个不容忽视的人 |
[44:14] | And befriended? | 那我们要交好吗 |
[44:15] | Oh, no. | 不 |
[44:17] | Not yet, at any rate. | 至少暂时不 |
[44:19] | But we will hear of him again. | 但我们会再见到他 |
[44:22] | I rather enjoyed myself. | 我其实还很享受刚才那一出 |
[44:24] | And now… | 现在… |
[44:26] | I’m going upstairs to take off my coat. | 我要上楼 宽衣解带 |
[44:29] | I have a free morning. | 今早我自由了 |
[44:32] | It is a treat to be savored. | 这是个值得好好品味的甜头 |