时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:40] | How dare she refuse? This is outrageous. | 竟然说她不想去 |
[01:41] | She won’t even leave her room! | 太过分了 还把自己关在房里 |
[01:43] | I am her mother and I make the decisions. | 我是她母亲 我说了算 |
[01:46] | Are you going to reason with her? | 你不去讲讲她吗 |
[01:47] | I’m going to try. | 我试试看 |
[02:03] | I don’t need her help. | 我不需要她帮忙 |
[02:05] | I won’t leave until everything is settled! | 事情没解决我就不出房门 |
[02:22] | Your mother says you don’t want to go to Newport. | 你母亲说你不想去纽波特 |
[02:26] | No. | 我不去 |
[02:27] | There’s something I need to have settled | 有件事还没解决 |
[02:28] | before I can leave New York. | 不能离开纽约 |
[02:31] | Of course, that sounds overdramatic | 我知道听来像小题大作 |
[02:33] | But it won’t wait until the end of the summer. | 等到夏天结束就太慢了 |
[02:34] | This will affect the rest of my life. | 这事关我下半辈子 |
[02:37] | How grave you make it sound. | 听起来很严重呢 |
[02:39] | Naturally, you want to make a joke of it, but I can’t. | 您尽管取笑好了 我笑不出来 |
[02:43] | To be honest, I thought everything would be settled already | 我以为这事早该解决了 |
[02:46] | but day after day goes by and… | 却拖过一天又一天 |
[02:47] | Does it have anything to do with Oscar van Rhijn? | 跟奥斯卡凡瑞恩有关吗 |
[02:50] | Why do you say that? | 您怎么知道 |
[02:51] | He has written to me, asking for an interview. | 他写信给我求见 |
[02:54] | That’s what I told him to do. | 我叫他这么做的 |
[02:55] | But when you didn’t speak of it… | 但您只字未提‥ |
[02:57] | I didn’t because I knew what the interview would be about | 因为我知道他想跟我说什么 |
[02:59] | and I wanted to be quite sure what my answer should be. | 我想在见面前确定怎么回答他 |
[03:03] | – Have you sent a reply now? – No. | -您回他信了吗 -还没 |
[03:05] | But I’ll write today and ask him to come to my office. | 我今天会写信 请他来我办公室 |
[03:07] | – Have you told Mother? – Not yet, but I will. | -您跟母亲说了吗 -还没 但我会的 |
[03:11] | Of course, what I say to her, or to him | 我对他俩的说词 |
[03:13] | will depend on what you want me to say. | 取决于你希望我怎么说 |
[03:15] | He gave me the reasons why I should accept his offer. | 他给我足够理由接受求婚 |
[03:18] | That was clever of him. | -他还挺精明的 |
[03:19] | He asked me if I wanted to get away from Mother | -他问我是否想摆脱母亲掌控 |
[03:21] | – and of course I do. – Oh, dear. | 我当然想 天啊 |
[03:24] | I don’t want to get away from you. | 我也不想离开您啊 |
[03:25] | But I must be allowed the freedom to make my own decisions. | 但我要有做决定的自由 |
[03:28] | Marriage is not the place to look for freedom. | 结婚不是为了追求自由 |
[03:32] | May I ask if you love him? | 我想知道你爱他吗 |
[03:34] | There is that, but, these days, so many people marry without love. | 这年头没有爱的婚姻多的是 |
[03:36] | Which I assume means you do not. | 所以你并不爱他 |
[03:38] | He comes from a good family, and there is some money | 他家世良好 也稍微有点钱 |
[03:41] | and I’d be in society, which is what Mother wants. | 而且我能进入上流社会 这是母亲想要的 |
[03:43] | He can be very amusing. He does make me laugh. | 他人很风趣 也会逗我笑 |
[03:45] | That is a useful quality, I grant you | 我同意这些特质很有用 |
[03:47] | but it is not enough to base a marriage on. | 却不足以构成婚姻基础 |
[03:56] | May I make you an offer? | 不如这样吧‥ |
[03:57] | What if I were to promise to support your choice | 我承诺会无条件支持你 |
[04:00] | whenever you come and tell me you have fallen in love? | 条件是你当真爱上某人 |
[04:03] | – Even if Mother is against it? – Even then. | -即使母亲反对 -没错 |
[04:06] | I give you my word. | 我说到做到 |
[04:08] | What will you do with Mr. van Rhijn? | 您打算如何回复凡瑞恩先生 |
[04:11] | Let him down gently. | 委婉地拒绝他 |
[04:13] | And then I suggest we forget about this whole thing. | 之后就当做没发生过这件事 |
[04:17] | So, will you go with your mother to Newport? | 现在可以跟你母亲去纽波特了吗 |
[04:22] | All right. | 好吧 |
[04:23] | If you really think we’re not making a mistake. | 只要您认为这么做是对的 |
[04:26] | Of one thing I am sure. | 我很确定一件事 |
[04:28] | You can do better than Mr. Oscar van Rhijn. | 嫁给奥斯卡凡瑞恩太委屈你了 |
[04:42] | – What time is it? – Half-past nine. | -几点了‥这么晚了 -九点半 |
[04:44] | – What? – I asked Mr. Bannister | 我让班尼斯特先生 |
[04:46] | to let you sleep. | 别叫醒你 |
[04:47] | Don’t worry. He looked after things. | 别担心 一切有他在 |
[04:49] | There’s not much to do at breakfast, anyway. | 反正早餐时间也没什么事做 |
[04:51] | Oh, there you are, John. What happened? | 你来了 约翰 怎么这么晚 |
[04:54] | My alarm didn’t go off. Again. | 我的闹钟又没响 |
[04:56] | I always wake up before mine rings. | 我都在钟响前就醒了 |
[04:59] | We’re not all as wonderful as you, Miss Armstrong. | 不是每个人都跟你一样厉害 |
[05:01] | Why are alarm clocks so unreliable? | 闹钟为何这么靠不住 |
[05:03] | You’re right. They never work. | 没错 闹钟不管用 |
[05:05] | I’m lucky I’m a light sleeper. | 幸好我很浅眠 |
[05:08] | I wonder why they don’t work. | 我很想知道原因 |
[05:09] | Oh, someone will figure it out. | 会有人找出原因的 |
[05:11] | Are you ready to start, John? | 可以上工了吗 约翰 |
[05:13] | Shouldn’t he have some breakfast first? | 不先吃早餐吗 |
[05:15] | No, I’m ready, Mr. Bannister. | 我好了 班尼斯特先生 |
[05:17] | Can you give this to Miss Marian? | 麻烦交给玛丽安小姐 |
[05:21] | Miss Scott has written back. | 史考特小姐回信了 |
[05:22] | She can come tomorrow to see you. | 她明天可以来见您 |
[05:24] | Good. I look forward to it. | 太好了 我很期待见到她 |
[05:26] | How is she doing? | 她还好吗 |
[05:28] | We’ll find out tomorrow. | 明天就知道了 |
[05:29] | It must all still be heartbreaking. | 她肯定伤心欲绝 |
[05:31] | True, but time is a great healer. | 没错 但时间可以治疗一切 |
[05:34] | I pray so, anyway. | 至少我希望如此 |
[05:36] | What is that? | 那是什么 |
[05:38] | Mrs. Bauer has made some luncheon for Miss Marian to take to school. | 鲍尔太太帮玛丽安小姐 做了带去学校的午餐 |
[05:43] | Leave it there. | 放着吧 |
[05:49] | A packed lunch? | 便当 |
[05:50] | Do you really take a packed lunch? | 你带便当去学校 |
[05:52] | It makes things simpler if I do. | 这样方便多了 |
[05:54] | Why has Mrs. Bauer never told me? | 鲍尔太太怎么没跟我说 |
[05:55] | Is everyone part of this conspiracy? | 难不成全部人都联手骗我 |
[05:59] | I’m doing a perfectly decent job. | 我做的是正当工作 |
[06:01] | You won’t need to be ashamed of me. | 您不必感到丢脸 |
[06:02] | I am ashamed of you now. | 我现在就觉得丢脸了 |
[06:05] | Well, I ought to get started | 我该出发了 |
[06:08] | if lateness is not to be added to my other transgressions. | 免得又加上迟到这条罪状 |
[06:17] | Good. Now, pay attention to where the light is hitting that lemon. | 很好 注意光线照着柠檬的角度 |
[06:21] | – Exactly. – Oh, no! | 讨厌 |
[06:22] | What is it, Frances? | 怎么了 法兰丝 |
[06:26] | I’ve ruined it. I give up. | 我画坏了 我放弃 |
[06:28] | No. | 别这样 |
[06:32] | You mustn’t be afraid to fail, or you’ll never succeed. | 不要害怕失败 否则永远无法成功 |
[06:36] | So, I should have another go? | 所以我该再试一次 |
[06:38] | Absolutely. | 肯定要啊 |
[06:40] | Try again next week. | 下礼拜再画一次 |
[06:46] | Now, may I remind you | 各位同学 |
[06:47] | that while it’s important to copy the bowl of fruit | 画水果写实固然重要 |
[06:50] | what I’m looking for is your own vision of the fruit. | 我更想看见你们对水果的想法 |
[06:55] | Your own feelings. | 表达自己的感受 |
[06:58] | Now, be sure before you go, to write your names on your pictures | 离开前在画纸上写名字 |
[07:01] | and leave them to dry. I’ll collect them. | 等干了我再收 |
[07:02] | Yes, Miss Brook. | 是 老师 |
[07:14] | Miss Brook! | 布鲁克老师 |
[07:17] | – May we give you a ride? – See you tomorrow! | 搭我们的车回家吧 |
[07:19] | Oh, I’d be taking you out of your way. | 这会害你们绕路 |
[07:21] | Nonsense. It would be our pleasure to see you home. | 别这么说 我们很乐意送你回家 |
[07:24] | Besides, we ought to pay our neglected call on Aunt Agnes. | 况且说要拜访爱格舅妈却一直没去 |
[07:26] | Oh, she’ll be pleased to see you. | 她会很高兴见到你们 |
[07:28] | Will you protect us? | 你会保护我们吧 |
[07:30] | That won’t be necessary. | 没这个必要 |
[07:32] | Aunt Agnes is rather cross with me, but not with you. | 爱格姑妈气的是我 不是你们 |
[07:35] | Even so, you’re the only person in New York who stands up to her. | 即便如此 你是全纽约 唯一敢反抗她的人 |
[07:39] | She must find it a novel sensation. | 对她而言肯定是全新体验 |
[07:45] | There you go. | 好了 |
[08:05] | Thank you for seeing me. | 谢谢您愿意见我 |
[08:07] | I was rather nervous when it took so long for you to answer. | 迟迟没回音 我都开始紧张了 |
[08:12] | You were right to be nervous. | 你是该紧张 |
[08:14] | Did it not occur to you to speak to me before you addressed my daughter? | 为何没先跟我报备 就直接去找我女儿 |
[08:19] | I suppose I was carried away. | 我一时冲昏头了 |
[08:22] | Well, the answer is no. | 答案是否定的 |
[08:24] | Gladys will not agree to be your wife. | 葛莱蒂不愿意嫁给你 |
[08:31] | Is that it? | 就这样 |
[08:33] | Am I to have no chance to put my case? | 能给我机会说明吗 |
[08:35] | I’ve brought papers proving my financial status | 我带了一些文件 证明我的财力 |
[08:39] | and I’ll inherit my mother’s house on 61st Street | 我会继承母亲六一街的房子 |
[08:41] | so Gladys’s home would be right across from yours. | 所以葛莱蒂会住娘家对面 |
[08:43] | You are welcome to show me what you like. | 你想展示什么都行 |
[08:45] | I am not in a hurry. | 反正我不忙 |
[08:46] | But nothing will alter my conclusion. | 但我的决定不会改变 |
[08:48] | You know that I am very much in love with her? | 我是真的很爱她 |
[08:50] | Well, that is what I do not quite know. | 这我倒不知道 |
[08:52] | But you are right to claim it | 说爱是正确的 |
[08:53] | since a love match is the one thing I am determined on for her. | 我也坚持女儿必须为爱而结婚 |
[08:56] | – Then I can assure you that I do… – Please. | -那么我保证‥ -好了 |
[08:57] | You have not convinced her, and you will not convince me. | 你既没说服她 自然无法说服我 |
[09:00] | I think you may genuinely like her | 或许你真心喜欢她 |
[09:01] | and that you intended her to be happy in her life with you. | 希望跟她过幸福的日子 |
[09:03] | – More than I can… – Let me finish. | -我完全‥ -让我把话说完 |
[09:06] | I understand these marriages of convenience | 我知道城里的教堂 |
[09:09] | take place in every fashionable church in this city. | 充斥着为利益结婚的新人 |
[09:11] | But I want more than that for my child.Of course you do, and I can only assure… | -但我重视子女的幸福 -当然是 我能保证‥ |
[09:14] | Let us leave it there, Mr. van Rhijn. | 到此为止吧 凡瑞恩先生 |
[09:20] | And now you should go. | 你可以走了 |
[09:34] | We were so very sad when Marian told us your news. | 听玛丽安说起你的遭遇 我们都很难过 |
[09:38] | – Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[09:39] | – Our prayers are with you | 我们会为你祈祷 |
[09:41] | but if there’s anything else we can do… | 若有什么帮得上忙的地方‥ |
[09:45] | If you mean it, I’d really like to be busy again. | 说真的 我希望自己忙一点 |
[09:50] | Well, I’d be more than happy | 若能有帮助的话 |
[09:51] | to welcome you back here, if that would help. | 我很欢迎你回来工作 |
[09:54] | Hurray! | 太好了 |
[09:56] | I’ve tried a few others but no one measured up to you, Miss Scott. | 我试过几个人 没人比得上你 |
[10:00] | I told you. | 我就说吧 |
[10:01] | Well, I’d like to come back | 我很乐意回来 |
[10:03] | but there is still the matter of Miss Armstrong. | 但与阿姆斯壮小姐嫌隙未解 |
[10:05] | Leave Armstrong to me. | 这事交给我 |
[10:07] | I shall explain to her the way things are going to be. | 我会跟她说明今后的状况 |
[10:11] | So, when can you start? | 你何时能开始 |
[10:12] | Right away, I think. But I need to speak with my parents. | 随时都可以 但要先知会我父母 |
[10:15] | Of course. | 理当如此 |
[10:32] | This is good of you all to waste your time on me. | 承蒙各位拨冗前来 |
[10:34] | Oh, no, Mrs. Blane. | 客气了 布连夫人 |
[10:35] | You’re the kind one to give young Master Russell here a chance. | 我们该感谢您 愿意给年轻的罗素机会 |
[10:39] | May I introduce him and his mother, Mrs. George Russell? | 容我介绍他和母亲罗素夫人 |
[10:44] | Mr. McAllister is right. You’re very generous. | 麦卡里斯特先生说的没错 太感谢您了 |
[10:46] | It’s my pleasure. | 别客气 |
[10:48] | Let’s go in. | 我们进去吧 |
[10:51] | I think we should start through here, in the morning room. | 从这里开始吧 晨间起居室 |
[11:00] | These little rooms, big enough for a gathering of four… | 这个小房间只能容纳四人 |
[11:02] | what was the point of them? | 用处不大吧 |
[11:03] | My husband liked small rooms. | 先夫喜欢小房间 |
[11:05] | He said it was the only way to keep warm | 他说容易保暖 |
[11:07] | without breaking the bank. | 又省钱 |
[11:08] | They don’t reek of hospitality. | 可惜缺乏好客氛围 |
[11:10] | Nor did he. | 跟他的人一样 |
[11:13] | Another rabbit hutch. | 又一间兔笼子 |
[11:16] | He makes her laugh, which is always a promising start. | 夫人笑了 是个好的开始 |
[11:20] | It was good of you to arrange this. | 谢谢你帮忙安排 |
[11:23] | What are friends for? | 朋友之道啊 |
[11:24] | Let me show you the drawing room. | 我带你们去看客厅 |
[11:26] | It’s a little less cramped, which is something, I suppose. | 那里稍微大一点 至少算好事 |
[11:35] | It’s not too bad. | 还不错 |
[11:37] | But it’s very… | 但是很‥ |
[11:39] | what’s the word I’m looking for? | 该怎么形容呢 |
[11:41] | Drab? Dreary? | 单调 枯燥乏味 |
[11:45] | The chimneypiece looks as if his grandmother chose it. | 壁炉看起来像老祖母的品味 |
[11:47] | She did. Almost. | 虽不中 亦不远矣 |
[11:49] | It came from his aunt. | 他姑妈送的 |
[11:50] | She liked decorations, and he liked saving money. | 她爱繁复花色 他则爱省钱 |
[11:52] | So, when she died, he used it in here. | 姑妈过世后就原封搬来了 |
[11:55] | How depressing. | 真令人沮丧 |
[11:58] | Well, what would you suggest? | 你的建议是什么 |
[12:00] | Well, the thing these rooms need is light. | 起居室需要光线 亮一点 空间大一点 |
[12:03] | More light and more space. That’s what we have to figure out. | 这是需要下功夫的地方 |
[12:08] | But it will be a great place for parties when we’re done. | 改建后会很适合开宴会 |
[12:12] | Well, it’s settled. | 我决定了 |
[12:14] | Larry, may I call you Larry? | 赖瑞‥可以叫你赖瑞吗 |
[12:16] | Is going to undertake the work. | 改建工作就交给他了 |
[12:19] | What? Surely you need more time to make a decision. | 这么快 |
[12:22] | Wouldn’t you like to come to our house | 不妨先到我家 |
[12:24] | and see what he’s done there? | 看看他的技艺再说 |
[12:25] | Don’t talk her out of it, Mother. | 母亲 别劝退她 |
[12:26] | Oh, she won’t. I always operate on instinct, Mrs. Russell. | 不会的 我向来依直觉行事 |
[12:30] | And my instinct tells me to hire Larry. | 直觉告诉我要雇用赖瑞 |
[12:32] | – When could you start? – Straight away. Oh, one thing. | -你何时能开始 -立刻 |
[12:34] | I’m going to the Newport Lawn Tennis Tournament on the twelfth. | 对了 我12号得去看 纽波特草地网球锦标赛 |
[12:37] | So, I’ll have to take the day off. | 当天必须请假 |
[12:39] | A friend of mine from Harvard is playing – and I’ve sworn to be there. – I can’t remember | 我哈佛同学参加比赛 我答应去加油 |
[12:42] | when I was last at the casino. | 我都记不得上次何时去赌场 |
[12:44] | My husband didn’t like sports of any kind | 先夫不喜欢运动赛事 |
[12:46] | and I suppose I got out of the habit. | 我也跟着淡出了 |
[12:48] | Well, you’re welcome to come with me. | 欢迎你跟我一起去 |
[12:51] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[12:52] | Aren’t you going with a rather young crowd? | 你们那群不都是年轻人吗 |
[12:54] | Well, then they’ll be glad to see Mrs. Blane. | 那么他们会很高兴见到布连夫人 |
[12:59] | – I’ll come for you at two. – Make it twelve. | -我两点到你家 -十二点就来吧 |
[13:01] | And I’ll give you some luncheon first. | 我们先吃午餐 |
[13:03] | But I’ll see you before then. | 反正在之前也会见面 |
[13:05] | Now, let me show you the rooms upstairs. | 我带你们去看楼上的房间 |
[13:08] | Just this way. We can also replace… | -这边请 -我建议汰换掉‥ |
[13:12] | I’m not sure it’s terribly helpful to suggest that Mrs. | 说人家年纪太大不适合看网球 |
[13:19] | Blane is too old to watch tennis.I just didn’t want her to be trapped | 似乎不太妥当 我怕她困在一群 |
[13:20] | in a crowd of shouting young men from Harvard. | 大呼小叫的哈佛学生中 |
[13:22] | Oh, I think she’ll enjoy it. | 我觉得她会很开心的 |
[13:24] | By the way, I’ve had an idea | 对了 我有个主意 |
[13:27] | which could be useful for you in the opera war. | 或许能在歌剧院之战帮你一把 |
[13:30] | You better not tell Mrs. Astor. | 最好别让阿斯特夫人知道 |
[13:32] | Dear lady, I am only sharing information. | 我的好夫人 我只是分享消息 |
[13:35] | And you’d better not tell Mrs. Astor about it. | 那更别告诉阿斯特夫人 |
[13:39] | Now, have you heard of Joshua Winterton? | 你听过约书亚温特顿吗 |
[13:42] | He has old money | 他是位老贵族 |
[13:43] | and one of the first “cottages” to be built here. | 首开来纽波特盖别舍之风 |
[13:46] | Anyway, he’s been a widower for years | 他丧妻多年 |
[13:48] | and now has astonished the town | 近日订婚不久即再婚 |
[13:51] | by getting married after a short engagement. | 震惊不少人 |
[13:54] | So short, in fact, that no one has met her yet. | 因为是闪婚 大家都没见过新娘 |
[13:57] | Doesn’t he have a box at the Academy? Why would they want to get involved with the opera war? | 他在学院有包厢了 何必捲入歌剧院之战 |
[14:01] | He has one, yes | 话是没错 |
[14:03] | but I’m told his wife is young and likes to play | 但他夫人年轻且爱好交游 |
[14:06] | so she may find the Academy crowd a little stuffy. | 学院对她而言或许太沉闷 |
[14:10] | And there’s no reason why they couldn’t take a box at the Metropolitan as well. | 没理由不在大都会也拿间包厢 |
[14:14] | And he has money, you say? | 你说他很有钱 |
[14:16] | Oh, lots and lots and lots of it. | 可说是金山银山呢 |
[14:19] | I’ll introduce you when I give my ball at the casino. | 等我在赌场办宴会再介绍你们认识 |
[14:22] | Oh, and no tiaras, by the way. | 对了 别戴王冠 |
[14:25] | I like flowers and feathers when I’m by the sea. | 到了海滨我喜欢花朵或羽毛 |
[14:28] | Your wish is my command. | 悉听尊便 |
[14:34] | What do we have here, John? | 约翰 那是什么 |
[14:35] | My broken alarm clock. | 我坏掉的闹钟 |
[14:37] | Are you attempting to repair it? | 你打算修理吗 |
[14:39] | Not exactly. | 也不是 |
[14:40] | I’d like to understand how it functions and why it failed. | 我想搞懂是如何运作以及为何会坏 |
[14:45] | You’re making quite an effort for the tea. | 今天茶宴你费了不少工夫 |
[14:47] | Miss Brook asked me to. | 布鲁克小姐吩咐的 |
[14:49] | She’s invited the new rector of St. Thomas Church to join them. | 她邀请了圣托马斯教堂的 新牧师来作客 |
[14:52] | – That explains it. – I want everything to be just right. | -原来如此 -希望别出任何差错 |
[14:55] | Do you think if it’s perfect, Mrs. van Rhijn’ll forgive you | 你以为做丰盛点 夫人就会原谅你 |
[14:57] | for keeping Miss Marian’s job a secret? | 瞒着玛丽安小姐教书的事 |
[14:59] | It wasn’t my place to tell her. | 要说也不该由我说 |
[15:01] | And I only gave Miss Marian a packed lunch. She has to eat. | 我不过帮她做午餐 她得吃吧 |
[15:04] | Besides, you knew about it and Jack. Then let us hope your cakes redeem us all. | 况且你跟杰克都知道这件事 |
[15:13] | So, when did your family come over? | 贵家族何时移民过来的 |
[15:16] | My grandfather got to Boston in 1794. | 我祖父在1794年迁居波士顿 |
[15:20] | He saw Europe going up in flames after the French Revolution | 他在法国革命后 深感欧洲前景堪忧 |
[15:23] | and wanted to avoid the carnage. | 想逃离大屠杀的命运 |
[15:25] | We cannot criticize him for that. | 这也是人之常情 |
[15:28] | Why Boston? | 为何选择波士顿 |
[15:29] | You’re right. It wasn’t the obvious choice. | 没错 确实比较罕见 |
[15:32] | We were Italian, not Irish. | 我们是义大利裔 不是爱尔兰 |
[15:34] | But my father was Catholic, so there’s some logic to it. | 但我父亲信天主教 多少有点关系 |
[15:37] | And when did they escape the clutches of the Vicar of Rome? | 那是何时逃离 罗马教区主教的魔掌呢 |
[15:41] | My father married an Episcopalian and, to be frank, she was the stronger character of the two. | 我父亲娶了圣公会教徒 |
[15:49] | My father died when I was quite young | 父亲在我幼年便过世 |
[15:51] | and so my mother got her way. | 就以母亲信仰为主 |
[15:52] | And what of your own wife? Should she be with us today? | 令夫人呢 今天怎么没来 |
[15:55] | I’m not married. | 我还未婚 |
[15:57] | I’ve always thought it a blessing for our church over the Catholics | 我一向认为 比起天主教 我教允许神职人员结婚 |
[16:01] | that our clergy can marry and share the burden of their ministry. | 让伴侣分担神职是好事一桩 |
[16:04] | I agree. | 我同意 |
[16:05] | I suppose I just haven’t been lucky. | 只是我没那么幸运罢了 |
[16:10] | Is your mother still living? | 令堂仍在世吗 |
[16:12] | No. She died some time ago. | 她不久前过世了 |
[16:14] | I don’t think I could have left Boston otherwise. | 否则我也不会离开波士顿 |
[16:18] | How dutiful and good. | 多么孝顺且善良啊 |
[16:20] | Bless you. | 愿神祝福你 |
[16:21] | Ada, you are the parishioner here and not the rector. | 艾达‥ |
[16:24] | It is not for you to dispense blessings. | 祈神赐福不该由你来 |
[16:27] | – But I am happy to accept it. – Thank you. | -我很乐意接受 -谢谢你 |
[16:30] | Mr. Oscar van Rhijn. | -奥斯卡少爷到 |
[16:32] | Oscar? | 奥斯卡 |
[16:33] | You remember the Reverend Mr. Forte from St. Thomas? | 记得圣托马斯教堂的弗特牧师吧 |
[16:37] | Of course. | 当然记得 |
[16:38] | I must take my leave. I have Evensong at six. | 我该走了 六点要主持晚祷 |
[16:41] | Oh, we must attend one day. | 哪天我们也去参加 |
[16:43] | – I hope you will. – Let us see you out. | 欢迎至极 我们送您 |
[16:47] | Thank you for taking the time to come see us. | 感谢您拨冗来访 |
[16:50] | Yes. Thank you, Reverend. | 是啊 谢谢牧师 |
[16:52] | – Are you all right? – We must meet again. | 你没事吧 |
[16:54] | My bid for Gladys Russell has failed. | 我追求葛莱蒂罗素无望了 |
[16:57] | I see. | 这样啊 |
[16:59] | So, will that be the end of it? | 完全无望 |
[17:00] | The absolute end, as her father was good enough | 彻底结束了 她父亲昨天找我 |
[17:03] | to relay when he summoned me to his office yesterday. | 去办公室 转达她的意思 |
[17:06] | I’m sorry. | 别太难过了 |
[17:08] | How lovely! | 好开心哪 |
[17:10] | I’m glad we were able to meet Mr. Forte again. | 真高兴再次见到弗特先生 |
[17:14] | We ought to entertain more. It’s so much fun. | 我们应该多宴客 实在太有趣了 |
[17:17] | I agree. And I liked your rector. | 我同意 我喜欢你的牧师 |
[17:19] | He is not my rector, | 他不是我的牧师 |
[17:21] | but I’m glad you like him. | 很高兴你喜欢他 |
[17:23] | I would have enjoyed it more | 我若插得上半句话就更好了 |
[17:25] | if I could have got a word in edgewise. | 爱格姑妈 |
[17:26] | – Oh, Aunt Agnes. – I mean it. | 本来就是 你怎么搞的 |
[17:28] | What came over you? Had you taken chatter pills? | 难不成吃了聒噪药 |
[17:32] | He was so pleasant and interested. | 他很随和而且风趣 |
[17:34] | Hardened criminals have answered fewer questions in the dock. | 你简直像在拷问犯人一样 |
[17:38] | I wonder you didn’t ask to see his mother’s death certificate. | 就差没叫他出示母亲的死亡证明 |
[17:41] | Well, I thought he had a wonderful time talking to both of you. | 我认为他与二位都相谈甚欢 |
[17:44] | And I hope we can see more of him. | 希望以后能多见面 |
[17:46] | I doubt it. I suspect he’ll be unavoidably detained | 不太可能吧 下次约他 肯定会不断借故推讬 |
[17:53] | if we try again. | "罗素联合信讬公司" |
[17:55] | Two thousand workers walked off the job? | 两千名工人罢工 |
[17:57] | Yes. | 对 |
[17:59] | Of course, it was in Chicago, but the news will travel | 虽发生在芝加哥 |
[18:00] | and their action will embolden others, | 消息一旦传开 其他工人会跟进 |
[18:03] | including your own workforce. | 包括您底下的工人 |
[18:06] | How do we get the better of these unions? | 怎样才能击败工会 |
[18:08] | I’m not sure. | 我也不确定 |
[18:10] | Their demands keep coming thick and fast | 他们的诉求多又快 |
[18:11] | and the leaders are bringing in new members by the dozen. | 领导人还不断吸收新会员 |
[18:14] | Is this true of Henderson? | 包括韩德森吗 |
[18:15] | Bill Henderson. That’s right. | 没错 比尔韩德森 |
[18:17] | He represents the Amalgamated Association | 他代表匹兹堡的 |
[18:19] | of Iron and Steel Workers in Pittsburgh. | 钢铁工人联合协会 |
[18:21] | At present, they don’t have the power or the men to do what they did in Chicago. | 目前尚无实力发动 像芝加哥那样的罢工 |
[18:25] | Not yet. | 是时候未到 |
[18:27] | But you’re right. This could be a harbinger for us. | 你说的没错 这是一种警讯 |
[18:30] | As you said yourself to the others, we must never surrender to threats. | 您也跟其他雇主说过 绝不能妥协 |
[18:34] | To yield is to lose. | 一旦妥协就输了 |
[18:36] | I have no intention of yielding. | 我没打算妥协 |
[18:38] | But doing nothing is no longer an option. | 也不能继续毫无回应 |
[18:40] | What do you propose? | 您有何想法 |
[18:43] | You must go to Pittsburgh. | 你去匹兹堡一趟见韩德森 |
[18:45] | Meet Henderson. Find out what he really wants. | 设法问出他要什么 |
[18:48] | See if we can buy him off. | 看能否收买他 |
[18:50] | You mean I should offer him money? | 您是说给他钱 |
[18:51] | Money or a little power. | 钱或是一点权力 |
[18:53] | Power is very seductive, I’m told. | 据说权力是很诱人的 |
[18:55] | Suppose he’s a man of principle? | 万一他这人很清高呢 |
[18:58] | It’ll just make him more expensive. | 那代表他会贵一点 |
[19:06] | Mr. McNeil? | 麦克尼尔先生 |
[19:10] | Can I help you, sir? | 请问有什么事 |
[19:12] | I’m afraid Mr. Russell is out, and Mrs. Russell is in Newport. | 罗素先生不在家 夫人在纽波特 |
[19:15] | In fact, I was looking for the servants’ entrance. | 我在找佣仆专用入口 |
[19:18] | The servants’ entrance, sir? | 佣仆专用入口 |
[19:19] | Yes. | 对 |
[19:21] | Well, if you walk down the side alley you’ll come to it on your left. | 侧边巷子进去左手边 你会看到 |
[19:23] | But is it something I could help with? | 有我能效劳的地方吗 |
[19:25] | I have a message for the footman, Collyer. | 我想留口信给一个男仆 姓科利尔 |
[19:28] | No one here is called Collyer. | 这里没有男仆姓科利尔 |
[19:30] | He was serving at the dinner Mrs. Russell gave | 我在罗素夫人的歌剧院 |
[19:32] | for the new opera house. | 晚宴上看过他 |
[19:33] | An older man. Bald. | 年纪稍长 光头 |
[19:35] | I think you must mean Mr. Watson, the master’s valet. | 您说的是老爷贴身侍者华生先生 |
[19:39] | Was he in the dining room that night? | 他那天晚上在餐厅服侍吗 |
[19:42] | I believe he was, sir. Yes. | 回先生 他是在场 |
[19:43] | McNeil? Is that you? | 麦克尼尔 是你吗 |
[19:47] | – Mr. Russell. – Come in. | 罗素先生好 请进 |
[19:49] | I mustn’t disturb you. I was just going to leave a message. | 不用麻烦 我留个口信就走 |
[19:52] | Mr. McNeil asked after Mr. Watson. | 麦克尼尔先生想找华生 |
[19:57] | Well, come into the library. | 请到我的图书室谈 |
[20:03] | He may be trying to poach him, sir. | 他或许是来挖角的 |
[20:08] | Mr. Watson is out, sir. | 华生先生外出 |
[20:10] | I suppose he thought you wouldn’t need him | 大概以为您晚上更衣前 |
[20:12] | before you changed this evening. | 不需要他 |
[20:14] | And I won’t. Thank you, Church. | 是不需要 你先下去吧 |
[20:20] | Well, I’m no less curious | 我很好奇你为何 |
[20:21] | as to why you wish to leave my valet a message. | 想找我的侍者 |
[20:24] | Church suspects you of wanting to steal him away. | 邱区猜是你打算挖走他 |
[20:27] | Don’t worry. I have a valet of my own | 别担心 我自己有侍者 |
[20:29] | with whom I am quite content. | 我对他也很满意 |
[20:30] | Won’t you explain what this is all about, then? | 能否说明来意 |
[20:33] | I can’t, because it’s not my secret. | 恕难奉告 事关他人秘密 |
[20:35] | But I assure you, Watson has done nothing wrong. | 别担心 华生并没有做错事 |
[20:40] | I should be going. | 先告辞了 |
[20:42] | Won’t you give me his message? | 要我代为转达口信吗 |
[20:44] | No. I’ll write again, now I have the facts straight. | 不了 已弄清他的身份 我直接写信即可 |
[20:47] | I’m sorry to have taken so much of your time. | 抱歉打扰了 |
[20:58] | Will that be everything, ma’am? | 夫人 还有其他吩咐吗 |
[21:00] | Thank you. | 没有了 |
[21:02] | But before you go, I do have some news. | 在你下去前 我要说一件事 |
[21:04] | Oh, yes, madam? | 请吩咐 |
[21:06] | Miss Scott will be returning. | 史考特小姐要复职了 |
[21:08] | Here? | 回这里 |
[21:09] | No, to Timbuktu. Of course, here. | 废话 不然是去廷布克图吗 |
[21:12] | She will be living in her old room and working for me again. | 她会住在原来房间 继续替我工作 |
[21:16] | I see. | 这样啊 |
[21:17] | – I don’t want any trouble. | 我不想起任何事端 |
[21:19] | I’m sure. | 那是当然 |
[21:20] | But Miss Scott will not stop her writing | 我敢说史考特小姐会继续写作 |
[21:22] | whatever she may pretend. | 不管她再怎么装 |
[21:25] | I’m willing to take my chances with Miss Scott, but not with you. | 比起你 我更愿意相信史考特小姐 |
[21:30] | I never started anything, ma’am. | 惹事的又不是我 |
[21:32] | In fact, we never had a problem until Miss Scott moved in. | 史考特小姐搬进来前 家里从没出过问题 |
[21:35] | Because you created trouble for her as soon as she arrived. | 因为你打从她一进门就故意刁难 |
[21:38] | I wanted to protect your good name. | 我是想保护您的名声 |
[21:42] | It has been some years since my good name was in any danger. | 我的名声好几年来都没问题啊 |
[21:45] | Now, I need your word. | 我要你保证 |
[21:48] | You will only treat Miss Scott with courtesy and respect. | 今后以礼对待史考特小姐 |
[21:51] | But what if she’s unkind to me? | 万一她对我不好呢 |
[21:53] | Then, knowing Miss Scott, I’d say you had it coming. | 以我对她的了解 那就是你活该 |
[21:58] | And if that is too much to ask | 如果你做不到的话 |
[22:00] | Bridget looks after Miss Ada and Miss Marian | 布莉琪都同时服侍艾达和玛丽安了 |
[22:03] | she can see to me as well | 可以再加一个我 |
[22:04] | until I have found a replacement. | 直到找到新人为止 |
[22:07] | You would replace me? | 您打算把我换掉 |
[22:08] | Well, if you cannot behave, you leave me no choice. | 若你不听话 |
[22:11] | But what would I do? | 我别无选择 |
[22:13] | – How would I live? – Oh, there is no need for this. | -那要我怎么活下去 -别那么夸张 |
[22:15] | – I mean, you can get another job. – No. | -再找工作就好了 -不要 |
[22:17] | People like to train a maid when there are many years left in her. | 大家都从年轻开始训练侍女 |
[22:20] | No one will want to bother with training me. Not now. | 没人愿意训练我这把年纪的人 |
[22:24] | Here. | 拿去擦眼泪 |
[22:27] | Your fate is in your hands. | 你的命运在自己手中 |
[22:29] | If you show kindness to Miss Scott – then you may keep your position. | 善待史考特小姐就可保住工作 |
[22:33] | – But, ma’am… -I see you have mistaken this for a discussion | -可是 夫人‥ -你误以为我在跟你讨论 |
[22:36] | when I am simply giving an order. | 我是在下命令 |
[22:42] | Now, make sure my blue dress with the ruffle is ready for tomorrow. | 去把我明天要穿的蓝色褶裙准备好 |
[22:47] | Yes, ma’am. | 是 夫人 |
[23:09] | – Hello there, Miss Peggy. – Hi, James. | -佩姬小姐好 -你好 詹姆士 |
[23:12] | We hardly get to see you now that you’re over at the Globe. | 您去环球报后就很少看到您了 |
[23:15] | – You looking for your father? – Yes. | -来找令尊 -对 |
[23:17] | He’s in back. | 他在后面 |
[23:20] | Peggy, I wasn’t expecting you. | 佩姬 你怎么来了 |
[23:22] | I have some news I wanted to share with you in person. | 我有件事想当面跟您说 |
[23:25] | I have been offered my old job back on 61st Street. | 老东家找我回六一街复职 |
[23:29] | – And you’re taking it, I assume? – Here you are, Mr. Collins. | 你打算答应吧 |
[23:33] | I need a new start. | 我需要新的开始 |
[23:35] | If you need something new, why are you going back there? | 要新开始 为何重返旧职 |
[23:38] | Because we can’t go on like this. | 我们不能继续这样下去了 |
[23:41] | We need to get away from each other. | 必须分开一阵子 |
[23:44] | That’s not what family does. | 家人之间不该这样 |
[23:46] | Our family has done a great many things that are not what a real family does. | 我们家已做了不少 真正家庭不该做的事 |
[23:52] | It’s all my doing. | 都是我的错‥ |
[23:54] | – We’ve been through this, Father. – And… | 父亲这些都说过了 |
[23:56] | I know you’re sorry. | 您已经道过歉 |
[23:58] | You don’t have to keep repeating it. | 不必一再重复 |
[24:01] | I wish your mother knew. | 但愿你母亲能原谅我 |
[24:03] | She does. She just needs more time. | 她会的 再给她一点时间 |
[24:07] | Have you told her your news? | 你跟她说这事了 |
[24:09] | – Yes. She understands. – One moment. I’ll be right with you. | 说了 她能理解 |
[24:13] | Mr. Scott? | -史考特先生 -就来 |
[24:15] | – You should get back to work. – All right. | 不打扰您工作 |
[24:16] | Do you need anything? | 好 你需要些什么吗 |
[24:21] | – Take this. – Father. | -这给你 -父亲‥ |
[24:23] | Take it. | 收着吧 |
[24:29] | And don’t forget about us over here in Brooklyn. | 别忘了在布鲁克林的二老 |
[24:33] | Remember how much… | 别忘了我‥ |
[24:38] | your mother loves you. | 你母亲非常爱你 |
[24:40] | I know. | 我知道 |
[24:42] | You don’t have to sound so final. I’m just going to Manhattan. | 别一副诀别的样子 我不过是搬去曼哈顿 |
[24:47] | I’ll come back to visit. | 我会回来探望您们 |
[24:48] | I will hold you to that. | 一言为定喔 |
[25:03] | Thank you, Bannister. | 谢谢 班尼斯特 |
[25:05] | Tell us more about your house in Newport. | 跟我们说说你在纽波特的房子 |
[25:07] | We’ve just taken it for the season. | 我们只住到社交季结束 |
[25:09] | Charles won’t buy until he’s convinced we’ll enjoy it. | 查尔斯说要确定喜欢再买下 |
[25:12] | Very sensible. | 很明智 |
[25:13] | This is from Lina Astor. | 是丽娜阿斯特寄的信 |
[25:16] | Lina wants to come here | 丽娜要来我们家 |
[25:19] | and discuss her plans to save the Academy. | 一起讨论拯救学院的方法 |
[25:21] | – Really? – Yes. Next week. | -真的啊 -对 下个礼拜 |
[25:23] | Mr. McAllister will join us | 麦卡里斯特先生也会来 |
[25:25] | to devise a strategy to combat the Metropolitan. | 一起构思对付大都会的策略 |
[25:28] | Mr. McAllister? This is serious. | 麦卡里斯特先生 这下严重了 |
[25:30] | Mrs. Russell’s opera dinner has stirred up a lot of trouble. | 罗素夫人的歌剧晚宴引起了大麻烦 |
[25:35] | Well, the Academy can count on us. | 我们当然会支持学院 |
[25:38] | Marian, could you join us in Newport on Friday? | 玛丽安 这周五来纽波特找我们吧 |
[25:40] | There’s a tennis tournament at the casino | 赌场有场网球赛 |
[25:42] | and I have someone for you to meet. | 我想介绍一个人给你认识 |
[25:45] | You could stay for Mr. McAllister’s party. | 麦卡里斯特先生也有派对 |
[25:46] | What an excellent idea. Of course, she’d be delighted. | 真是好主意 她很乐意参加 |
[25:49] | What about your classes at the school? | 学校的课怎么办 |
[25:51] | Trust you to think of that. | 谁叫你记这个的 |
[25:53] | There’s a midterm break from this Friday to Monday | 学校周五到周一放期中假 |
[25:56] | so I won’t miss anything. | 所以没有关系 |
[25:57] | Tell us about this mysterious “someone” she is to meet. | 说说你想介绍的神秘嘉宾吧 |
[26:01] | Edward Morgan works at Charles’s bank | 爱德华摩根是查尔斯银行同事 |
[26:03] | although he’s younger, of course. | 年纪当然比我们轻 |
[26:05] | His parents have a place in Newport and a house on East 56th. | 父母在纽波特有房子 家住东56街 |
[26:09] | – Is his mother Arabella Morgan? – Yes. | -他母亲是艾拉贝摩根 -对 |
[26:11] | Then I know exactly who he is. | 那我知道他是谁了 |
[26:13] | She was born a Winthrop. | 她娘家姓温罗普 |
[26:14] | And Marian would certainly like to meet him. | 玛丽安确实该认识一下这位 |
[26:17] | I’d like to see Newport, anyway. | 反正我也想去纽波特看看 |
[26:19] | Then it’s settled. | 就这么说定了 |
[26:21] | Now I must dash. I am late for a fitting. | 我得走了 赶着去试衣服 |
[26:23] | Thank you for coming, Aurora. | 奥萝拉 谢谢你来 |
[26:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢伯母 |
[26:28] | Have you a houseful coming with me? | 加上我 府上就住满了吗 |
[26:29] | No. Why? | 没啊 怎么了 |
[26:31] | I just wondered if we could include Oscar. | 我想找奥斯卡一起去 |
[26:32] | He’s been rather down, lately. | 他最近心情很低落 |
[26:34] | Because of that awful business? | 因为那件悲惨的事 |
[26:36] | He’s a lot better now | 他好一点了 |
[26:37] | but a few days in Newport would do him so much good. | 去纽波特待几天 对他很有帮助 |
[26:41] | I don’t see why not. I’ll send him a note when I get home. | 那就这样 我回家后给他捎个信 |
[26:49] | I’m going upstairs. I have some drawings to mark. | 我先上楼去改作业了 |
[26:54] | I’m glad. Mr. Morgan sounds perfect. | 太好了 摩根先生听起来很完美 |
[26:57] | Really, Agnes? | 爱格 你真是的 |
[26:59] | Why don’t you just run up to Fifth Avenue | 干脆去第五街 |
[27:01] | and stop any carriage that has a man inside? | 把每辆坐着男士的车都拦下算了 |
[27:04] | If I did, I doubt I would know his mother. | 这样就不知道对方母亲是谁 |
[27:08] | And unifying the facade lightens the appearance. | 外墙整齐 看起来就明亮多了 |
[27:11] | Oh, yes. | 真的是呢 |
[27:13] | Now I see what you mean. | 我懂你的意思了 |
[27:16] | Where will you live while the work is going on? | 房子修建时你要住哪里 |
[27:20] | – In New York? – Oh, certainly not. | -回纽约吗 -才不要 |
[27:22] | I shall stay here for as long as I can | 我要尽可能待在这里 |
[27:24] | and when I do move out, I’ll come back every day. | 就算搬出去也会每天回来 |
[27:27] | You don’t mind disruption, then? | 不怕太吵太乱吗 |
[27:28] | I gave 20 years to a man who couldn’t bear | 过去廿年 我嫁给早上吃蛋 |
[27:30] | to use a different spoon with his egg in the morning. | 都坚持用同支汤匙的男人 |
[27:33] | I long for a bit of disruption. | 我太想听到吵闹声了 |
[27:36] | Oh, the evenings I have spent with him in this room | 想起在这里的每天晚上 |
[27:39] | sitting in silence. | 静悄悄地坐在家里 |
[27:42] | – Why silence? – Well, he was deaf by the end | -为何静悄悄的 -因为‥ 他晚年已经聋了 |
[27:46] | which if I’m honest, made it a bit easier. | 老实说 那样反而轻松点 |
[27:50] | By then, we didn’t even try to talk. | 当时我们连聊天都省了 |
[27:55] | I’m sorry. I shouldn’t laugh. | 抱歉 我不该笑的 |
[27:56] | No, you should. You should. | 当然要笑‥ |
[27:59] | That’s exactly what this house has been missing. | 这间房子最需要的就是笑声 |
[28:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[28:08] | I hope you like champagne. | 希望你喜欢香槟 |
[28:10] | I do. | 我喜欢 |
[28:11] | But shouldn’t we wait until the job’s done before we celebrate? | 该等完工再庆祝吧 |
[28:15] | I like to celebrate a new beginning. | 我想庆祝新的开始 |
[28:18] | And that’s what I’m doing now. | 这是我接下来的打算 |
[28:20] | Beginning a new life in this house. | 在这间房子展开新的人生 |
[28:24] | A new life with new people. | 新的人生就要交新朋友 |
[28:27] | I hope I can be one of them. | 希望我也是其一 |
[28:29] | Of course. | 当然是 |
[28:31] | You are already. | 你已经是了 |
[28:38] | Oh, it’s nice to have you back, Miss Scott. | 你回来真好 史考特小姐 |
[28:43] | It’s nice to be back. Thank you. | 我也很高兴能回来 谢谢 |
[28:46] | You’ve missed dinner. | 你还没吃晚餐 |
[28:48] | Shall I get you something? | 要帮你弄些吃的吗 |
[28:49] | No time. I’m behind on my sewing. | 没时间 我赶着做女红 |
[28:52] | Miss Ada added some things to my pile. | 艾达小姐又拿了衣物给我补 |
[28:55] | She wants them mended to give to the church. | 说缝完后要捐给教会 |
[28:57] | I don’t know how I’m going to finish it all. | 这么多怎么做得完 |
[28:59] | I would offer you help, but I’m not good with a needle. | 我很想帮你 但我手不够巧 |
[29:03] | I can sew. | 缝补我挺在行 |
[29:05] | You’re the secretary. Why would you bother with that? | 你是秘书 何必做粗活 |
[29:07] | John, we show respect for all work. | 约翰 请尊重每个人的工作 |
[29:09] | I’d like to help. It’s a good distraction. | 我很乐意帮忙 才不会胡思乱想 |
[29:12] | So, my work is a mere distraction. | 我的工作只是用来逃避现实 |
[29:14] | – From what may I ask? – Nothing. | 请问是想逃避什么 |
[29:16] | She’s offering you help, Miss Armstrong. | -没什么 -她只是想帮你 |
[29:19] | I can manage. | 我自己来就好 |
[29:20] | Does that mean you don’t want my help? | 所以也不需要我帮忙囉 |
[29:22] | I can sew. | 缝补我也行 |
[29:24] | Fine. | 请便 |
[29:33] | Forty, fifteen. Sears. | 40比15 西尔斯领先 |
[29:43] | Game, Sears. | 西尔斯拿下本局 |
[29:49] | Amazing. | 真精彩 |
[29:50] | Are you a tennis player, Mr. Morgan? | 摩根先生 你也打网球吗 |
[29:52] | I used to be. But I’ve got rather bigger fish to fry these days. | 以前打 但最近有更重要的事 |
[30:00] | Do you spend a lot of time in Newport? | 你常来纽波特吗 |
[30:02] | My parents have a place in the town | 我父母在城里有房子 |
[30:04] | and I usually try to get down for McAllister’s casino party. | 我则常来参加 麦卡里斯特先生的赌场派对 |
[30:07] | Oh, look, Mr. Russell. | 罗素先生在那里 |
[30:10] | Yes.Excuse us. | 是呢 失陪了 |
[30:22] | Is this the friend we’ve come to see? | 那就是你朋友 |
[30:24] | Yes. Dick Sears. And right now, he’s winning. | 对 迪克西尔斯 |
[30:25] | Oh, Miss Brook! | 他目前领先 |
[30:28] | – Oh, hello. – Hello, Miss Brook. | -哦 你好 -你好 布鲁克小姐 |
[30:30] | Good day, Mr. Russell. | 罗素先生好 |
[30:34] | May I present Oscar van Rhijn? This is Mrs. Blane. | 容我介绍奥斯卡凡瑞恩 |
[30:36] | This is Mrs. Blane. | 这位是布连夫人 |
[30:37] | – Do you know Newport well? – I live here. | -您很熟纽波特吗 -我住这里啊 |
[30:39] | But how original. | 相当罕见呢 |
[30:42] | Larry. | 赖瑞 |
[30:43] | What are you doing in Newport? | 你怎么来纽波特了 |
[30:45] | Staying with my cousin, Mrs. Fane. What about you? | 来找我表亲芬恩夫人 你呢 |
[30:47] | I’m working here. | 我在这里工作 |
[30:48] | I wondered why I hadn’t seen you. | 难怪很少看到你 |
[30:50] | But I’m glad if your career’s really getting started. | 很高兴看到你事业起步了 |
[30:52] | Yeah. It’s a baptism by total immersion. | 我可是投注全副心力呢 |
[30:55] | I’m overhauling one of the famous “cottages.” | 目前承建当地著名豪宅 |
[30:57] | – Wish me luck. – Of course. I will. | -祝福我吧 -当然好 |
[30:59] | But I’m sure you don’t need it. | 但我相信你的实力 |
[31:02] | Who’s this? | -这位是 |
[31:03] | Mrs. Blane, my current employer | -布连夫人是我目前的雇主 |
[31:05] | may I present our neighbor in New York, Miss Marian Brook. | 这位是我纽约的邻居 玛丽安布鲁克小姐 |
[31:08] | How do you do? | -幸会 |
[31:09] | Larry’s been teaching me the rules of the game. | -赖瑞在教我网球规则 |
[31:11] | You couldn’t have a better teacher. | 他是这方面的专家 |
[31:13] | Miss Brook! | 布鲁克小姐 |
[31:15] | Miss Brook! | 布鲁克小姐 |
[31:18] | Oh, heavens. | 我的天啊 |
[31:21] | Why don’t you go and say hello to Gladys Russell? | 去跟葛莱蒂打声招呼 |
[31:24] | She’s over there. | 她在那边 |
[31:28] | Excuse me. | 失陪一下 |
[31:29] | Oh, yeah. No, actually… | 不好意思‥借过 |
[31:32] | Miss Russell. | 罗素小姐 |
[31:34] | Are you here with your mother? | 你跟令堂一起来吗 |
[31:35] | No. She had some letters she wanted to write. | 没有 她有些信件要处理 |
[31:37] | – The Wetmores brought me. – It’s nice to see you. | 惠特默家带我来的 很高兴见到你 |
[31:39] | It’s even better to be away from my mother’s watchful eye. | 能逃离我妈的鹰眼监控 真是太好了 |
[31:42] | How do you manage your aunt so easily? | 你姑妈怎会答应让你来 |
[31:44] | Aunt Agnes only approved this trip | 因为她听到我表亲奥萝拉 |
[31:46] | because Cousin Aurora is trying to match me with a man. | 要介绍男生给我认识 |
[31:48] | What’s he like? | 什么样的男生 |
[31:51] | Dreadful, I’m afraid. | 挺糟糕的 |
[31:54] | Perhaps we should escape in that direction. | -我们往那个方向逃吧 |
[31:56] | Thank you. | -谢谢你 |
[31:58] | Forty, fifteen. | 40比15 |
[32:04] | I hope you can be friends again. | 希望你俩能继续当朋友 |
[32:07] | – He told you? – Yes. | -他跟你说了 -对 |
[32:08] | And before you ask, he’ll be fine. | 我先说 他会释怀的 |
[32:11] | My father wants me to wait until I fall in love. | 父亲要我等到有心上人再说 |
[32:14] | How heartening. | 好贴心啊 |
[32:15] | I never thought of Mr. Russell as a romantic. | 没想到罗素先生如此浪漫 |
[32:17] | I mean to depend on him to help me judge a suitor’s intentions. | 要靠他帮我弄清追求者的意图 |
[32:20] | Father won’t be blinded, even if I am. | 他头脑清楚怕我昏了头 |
[32:23] | My orders are simple. | 我的指令很简单 |
[32:24] | I’m to find a man with birth, position, and money. | 找个有身份地位的有钱人 |
[32:27] | What about looks? | 外表呢 |
[32:29] | I think that’s up to me. But they are not a top priority. | 应该取决于我吧 但我不太重视外表 |
[32:33] | Are you avoiding me, Miss Brook? | 你在躲我吗 布鲁克小姐 |
[32:38] | What makes you say that? | 干嘛这么说啦 |
[32:40] | Well, if you’re not, come back with me now | 不是的话 快跟我进去 |
[32:43] | and we’ll rejoin Mrs. Fane. | 我们回去找芬恩夫人 |
[32:49] | Fifteen, love. | 15比0 |
[32:53] | As do I.Excuse me. | 我也是‥失陪一下 |
[33:01] | – Who is that? – Poor Miss Brook. | -那是谁 -布鲁克小姐真可怜 |
[33:03] | I wish her friends wouldn’t try to pair her off. | 希望她朋友别帮她乱作媒 |
[33:05] | She’d have plenty of suitors without their help. | 否则她一定会有很多追求者 |
[33:11] | Could the Wetmores see you home? | 惠特默家会送你回去吗 |
[33:14] | I’m sure they will, but why? | 应该会吧 怎么了 |
[33:16] | If Dick Sears wins, we’ll celebrate. | 西尔斯赢的话 我们会去庆祝 |
[33:19] | Can’t I join you? | 我可以去吗 |
[33:20] | I’m not sure Mother would approve. | 母亲不会允许的 |
[33:22] | Mother isn’t here. | 她又不在 |
[33:27] | Before Mr. Morgan returns with his drink | 我想向玛丽安道歉 |
[33:28] | I believe we owe Marian an apology. | 趁摩根先生去拿酒 |
[33:30] | – Yeah. – Excuse me, I… | 抱歉‥ |
[33:32] | Charles liked him so much at the bank. That’s my excuse. | 查尔斯大力推荐他呢 他在银行是另外一个人 |
[33:35] | He’s a completely different person there, or he seems to be. | 至少表面是 |
[33:38] | It’s often hard to tell who people really are. | 看清人的真面目不容易 |
[33:41] | I was always warned never to take a soldier as a suitor | 常听人说要等军人脱下军服 |
[33:43] | until I’d met him out of uniform. | 再决定是否接受追求 |
[33:45] | I’d say Mr. Morgan would be only too happy to get out of his uniform. | 我看摩根先生也等不及脱衣服了 |
[33:48] | – Oscar! – Oscar, don’t be vulgar. | -奥斯卡‥ -讲话文雅一点 |
[33:50] | I can manage. | 我应付得来 |
[33:52] | He’s not the first man I’ve met who drinks too much. | 又不是第一次碰到喝多的男人 |
[33:58] | Who’s that for? | 那杯帮谁拿的 |
[33:59] | They were running low on champagne, so I took two. | 香槟快没了 我先抢两杯 |
[34:03] | What were you talking about when I arrived? | 你们刚才在讲什么 |
[34:05] | The new museum on Fifth Avenue. | 第五大道新开的博物馆 |
[34:07] | Have you been there yet? | 你去过了吗 |
[34:09] | I don’t waste my time on museums. | 我才不浪费时间逛博物馆 |
[34:14] | Oh, Cousin Dashiell! | 达许表亲 |
[34:16] | How nice to see you. | 看到你真好 |
[34:18] | Mr. Montgomery. | 蒙哥马利先生 |
[34:19] | Mr. Morgan. | 摩根先生 |
[34:21] | How are you familiar with Newport? | 你熟纽波特吗 |
[34:23] | I used to be. | 曾经很熟 |
[34:24] | Harriet and I took a house here every summer. | 以前哈丽叶跟我会在这里避暑 |
[34:27] | – Oscar… – I was just saying | -奥斯卡‥ -我说不要 |
[34:29] | I can’t waste my time on museums. | 浪费时间逛博物馆 |
[34:31] | I have a life to live. | 我才没那么无聊呢 |
[34:33] | Don’t you agree? | 对吧 |
[34:34] | Dashiell, why don’t you show Marian the rest of the casino? | 达许 你带玛丽安 去赌场其他地方逛逛 |
[34:37] | – Yes. – She’s new to the town | 她没来过 |
[34:38] | and she’d enjoy it. | 会很高兴的 |
[34:42] | What? | 什么 |
[34:43] | I thought Miss Brook and I were to get to know each other. | 不是说布鲁克小姐 要我跟多认识一下吗 |
[34:47] | I’ll have her back in a moment. | 我马上带她回来 |
[34:48] | Love, thirty. | 0比30 |
[34:53] | I hope you won’t. | -我可不想回去 |
[34:54] | I know lots of places to hide. | -我知道很多地方可以躲 |
[34:56] | Dashiell! | 达许 |
[34:58] | We’re still taking bets on who’ll win. What do you say? | 我们在下注 你赌谁赢 |
[35:00] | All right. Fifty dollars on… | 好吧 我赌五十美元‥ |
[35:04] | Which player shall I bet on? | 要赌谁才好 |
[35:06] | I only know the name of one. | 我只知道一个人的名字 |
[35:08] | Dick Sears. He’s a friend of Larry Russell’s. | 迪克西尔斯 他是赖瑞的朋友 |
[35:10] | But $50? | 你真要赌五十美元 |
[35:13] | Dick Sears. | 我赌迪克西尔斯 |
[35:15] | Let’s hide over here. | 去那边躲 |
[35:21] | Good day, Mr. Church. | 邱区先生好 |
[35:23] | Mr. Bannister. | 班尼斯特先生 |
[35:26] | Are you having a busy day? | 你今天忙吗 |
[35:27] | This and that. What about you? | 还可以 你呢 |
[35:29] | I promised myself a morning of paperwork | 原打算今早处理文书 |
[35:31] | but things keep getting in the way. | 却一直有事耽搁 |
[35:33] | Of course. You’re a keen letter writer, as I remember. | 是了 我记得你很爱写信的 |
[35:39] | – I wonder if… – If what? | -我在想‥ -在想什么 |
[35:42] | I just hope we might leave that incident in the past. | 希望我们能忘了之前那件事 |
[35:45] | I was very angry, and I behaved foolishly. | 我当时太生气 才会做出蠢事 |
[35:49] | It almost cost me my job. | 差点害我丢了工作 |
[35:51] | As I say, it was stupid. | 我说了 那样做很蠢 |
[35:54] | And I apologize unreservedly. | 我诚心向你道歉 |
[35:57] | But can we put it behind us? | 能否前嫌尽释呢 |
[35:59] | Forgive and forget, you mean? | 你是说不记旧仇 |
[36:02] | Yes, I always wonder about that phrase. | 我常在想这句话 |
[36:05] | It is, I agree, sometimes possible to forgive. | 我同意可以做到不记仇 |
[36:09] | But one cannot forget. | 但不可能完全忘记 |
[36:11] | Well, I hope we can live in peace. | 希望我们至少和平相处 |
[36:14] | I’ll bear that in mind, Mr. Church. | 我会记住这句话 邱区先生 |
[36:16] | And now, good day to you. | 先告辞了 |
[36:28] | Match point, Sears. | 西尔斯的赛末点 |
[36:39] | Game, set, and match, Sears. | 比赛结束 |
[36:42] | Dick Sears wins, thank heavens. | 谢天谢地 西尔斯赢了 |
[36:45] | Why, particularly? | 为何如此激动 |
[36:46] | Marian told me to bet on him. | 玛丽安叫我赌他赢 |
[36:48] | Oh, I’d have felt awful if he’d lost. | 若他输了我会很内疚 |
[36:50] | As it is, I shall use my prize money to take you for a treat. | 这么说来我该用赢来的钱请你吃饭 |
[36:54] | Oh, there’s no need. | -不用了啦 |
[36:55] | You didn’t give me any tips. | -怎么没给我提点 |
[36:57] | I’ll give you a tip, Mr. Morgan. | 我给你个提点 摩根先生 |
[37:00] | Go home and sleep it off. | 回家睡觉吧你 |
[37:06] | I didn’t think you’d be back so soon. | 这么快就回来 |
[37:07] | I shouldn’t be. | 临时发生状况 |
[37:09] | Why is that? | 怎么了 |
[37:10] | There was a fuss with Miss Gladys the day we traveled | 出发那天葛莱蒂小姐发脾气 |
[37:12] | and I forgot to pack a dress Mrs. Russell wants to wear | 我忘了打包夫人打算在 |
[37:15] | at Mr. McAllister’s ball. | 麦卡里斯特先生舞会穿的礼服 |
[37:18] | It’s my fault. | 都怪我 |
[37:19] | Everyone makes mistakes. | 人难免会犯错 |
[37:21] | Not when you’re trying to prove | 若想成为正式贴身女侍 |
[37:22] | you should be taken on as her permanent lady’s maid. | 就不该犯这种错误 |
[37:24] | It’ll be all right. | 没关系的 |
[37:27] | I hope so. | 希望如此 |
[37:28] | And I wish you a good journey back to Newport. | 祝你回纽波特一路顺风 |
[37:31] | When I get home, perhaps we could have some more coffee? | 等我回来时‥ 再一起喝咖啡 |
[37:35] | I’d like that. | 好啊 再约 |
[37:57] | That was a lovely afternoon. | 今天下午玩得很开心 |
[37:59] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[38:01] | I guess I should leave you here. | 就此道别 |
[38:03] | If you want to. | 看你的意思 |
[38:05] | Oh, thank you, Trent. I can manage from here. | 谢谢你 川特 我自己进去就好 |
[38:19] | I’d rather stay. | 我想留下 |
[38:22] | That’s good to hear. | 正合我意 |
[38:49] | He’s coming to Newport without letting the mistress know? | 老爷要瞒着夫人去纽波特 |
[38:53] | He wants it to be a surprise. | 他想给夫人一个惊喜 |
[38:54] | We’ll travel on the same train as you | 我们跟你们一起搭火车去 |
[38:56] | and then ride in whatever vehicle they send for you and Adelheid. | 然后搭派来接你和雅德海的车 |
[39:00] | I must pack. | 我得打包行李了 |
[39:02] | Before you do, I should tell you | 还有件事‥ |
[39:05] | that a friend of Mr. Russell’s was here earlier, asking for you. | 前几天罗素先生的朋友来找过你 |
[39:10] | – I’m sorry? – A Mr. McNeil. | -你说什么 -是麦克尼尔先生 |
[39:13] | He said he’d a message for you, but he wouldn’t say what. | 他说要留讯息给你 却不肯透露 |
[39:16] | Where is the message? | 讯息在哪里 |
[39:17] | He didn’t leave one. | 他没留啊 |
[39:18] | He had your name wrong. | 而且他说错你名字 |
[39:20] | Why do you say that? | 什么意思呢 |
[39:22] | Well, he asked for a Mr. Collyer | 他想找科利尔先生 |
[39:25] | but then he seemed to think it was you he wanted. | 但形容的人确实是你 |
[39:28] | I dare say you’ll hear from him before long. | 他应该很快会再联络你 |
[39:32] | I dare say I will. | 我想也是 |
[39:59] | It’s very early for you to be up. | 这么早就起床了 |
[40:01] | It’s very late for you to get home. | 你这么晚才回家 |
[40:04] | – Were you waiting for me? | 您在等我 |
[40:05] | I was worried. | 我很担心 |
[40:06] | Can’t I worry when my son stays out all night? | 儿子彻夜未归我会不安啊 |
[40:09] | Let me go. | 别拦着我 |
[40:10] | I’m only here for a bath and a change of clothes. | 我只是回来洗澡换衣服 |
[40:15] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[40:16] | Scent, and probably French. | 香水味 大概是法国货 |
[40:18] | No wonder you need a bath. | 难怪你得洗澡 |
[40:20] | – What would you like me to say? – Come into the drawing room. | -我能说什么呢 -跟我去客厅 |
[40:27] | Where were you all night? | 你整晚去哪里了 |
[40:28] | At Mrs. Blane’s house. | 布连夫人家 |
[40:30] | Was it a party or just the two of you? | 开派对吗 还是就你俩 |
[40:32] | Do you really want me to spell it out for you? | 真要我说那么明显 |
[40:35] | I want to know what you think you’re doing | 我就问你在干嘛 |
[40:36] | with a woman twice your age, and ill-suited for you | 跟一个年纪两倍大 |
[40:38] | in so many other respects I haven’t got time to list them. | 各方面都不合适的女人鬼混 |
[40:40] | I like Mrs. Blane. | 我喜欢布连夫人 |
[40:43] | When there are countless charming and suitable young ladies for you to pursue? | 有那么多年轻貌美女孩可追求 |
[40:46] | Susan Blane appeals to me mostly because she’s quite unlike those suitable young ladies. | 我喜欢苏珊布连 她跟那些年轻女孩不同 |
[40:50] | And I’m fairly certain you don’t want me to elaborate on that. | 显然您不会想听我的 |
[40:52] | Other young men deal with these things without causing comment. | 其他男人用低调方式解决 |
[40:55] | Yes. They go to prostitutes. | 对 就是去找妓女 |
[40:57] | – Would you prefer me to do the same? – I’d prefer there to be no scandal. | -难道希望我这么做 -我不想引发丑闻 |
[41:00] | I can’t believe this. | 太过分了 |
[41:02] | Susan Blane is a decent woman. | 苏珊布连是个好女人 |
[41:04] | Decent women don’t sleep with men young enough to be their sons! | 好女人不会跟 年纪足以当儿子的人上床 |
[41:06] | – This one does! – Keep your voice down! | -她就会啊 -别这么大声 |
[41:10] | Look, I’m happy. | 我很快乐 |
[41:12] | Haven’t you always said that all you want is my happiness? | 您不是老说只希望我能快乐吗 |
[41:14] | Not at the expense of your good name. | 以不毁坏名誉为前提 |
[41:19] | Will you accompany her to the party tonight? | 你今晚要陪她参加宴会吗 |
[41:22] | I’m perfectly content to take you and Gladys | 我可以陪您和葛莱蒂去 |
[41:24] | as long as you don’t expect me to come home with you. | 别期待我跟你们一起回家 |
[41:28] | Now I must get changed. | 我去更衣了 |
[41:33] | How was Pittsburgh? | 匹兹堡之行如何 |
[41:35] | If I’m honest, things are worse than I thought. | 老实说 情况不理想 |
[41:40] | What was Henderson like? | 韩德森是什么样的人 |
[41:42] | Clever. No doubt about that. And stubborn as a mule. | 聪明绝顶 而且异常固执 |
[41:45] | You mean he wouldn’t be bought off? | 你是指收买不了他 |
[41:47] | I offered him promotion and money. | 我说要给他升迁和钱 |
[41:49] | I almost offered him wine, women, and song, but he won’t shift. | 只差没提酒色娱乐 他仍不为所动 |
[41:53] | Ask him to come to New York. | 招待他来纽约 |
[41:55] | What? | 什么 |
[41:56] | Put him up at the Brunswick on Fifth Avenue. | 帮他订第五大道的布朗兹维 |
[41:59] | The Brunswick? Henderson? | 住那么高级 |
[42:00] | Get him a suite, and make a date for him to have lunch at my home. | 还帮他订套房 再安排来我家共进午餐 |
[42:05] | And now, I must run. | 我得走了 |
[42:21] | It’s good. | 写得不错 |
[42:22] | I’ll make some notes, so come back later in the week. | 我稍作修改 你过几天来拿 |
[42:25] | Of course. | 没问题 |
[42:26] | In the meantime, I can handle another assignment. | 我可以趁空档再接一份工作 |
[42:29] | I do have a lead on a story that could pan out | 是有个值得报导的线索 |
[42:31] | though I won’t know until tomorrow. | 但明天才会收到 |
[42:33] | I’d hate to have you take the ferry all the way here for nothing. | 抱歉麻烦你搭船来却空手而归 |
[42:35] | It’s no trouble at all. | 不麻烦的 |
[42:37] | I’m living on 61st Street again. | 我又住回六一街了 |
[42:39] | For what reason? | 为什么 |
[42:41] | I had to get away from Brooklyn. | 我必须搬离布鲁克林 |
[42:44] | And work is a real help. | 工作对我很有帮助 |
[42:46] | So, I’m grateful to Mrs. van Rhijn, and to you. | 我很感谢凡瑞恩夫人和您 |
[42:49] | Yes. | 没错 |
[42:52] | Work is the only thing that numbs the pain. | 工作是唯一抚平伤痛的方式 |
[42:55] | – Is that last set done? – Almost, yes, sir. | -最后一套做好了吗? -差不多了 先生 |
[42:57] | My wife and I lost a baby boy a few years ago. | 我们夫妻几年前痛失幼子 |
[43:02] | I’m so sorry. | 真令人难过 |
[43:06] | I guess you’ve had to learn that for yourself, then. | 这种伤痛只有亲身经历才懂 |
[43:08] | Yes. | 没错 |
[43:10] | Yes, I was grateful I could come here and have something to do. | 幸好我能到这里来忙这些 |
[43:13] | It gave me a reason to get out of bed every day. | 每天早上有起床的理由 |
[43:16] | I had no idea. | 我都不知道 |
[43:17] | Well, people don’t talk much about such things. | 人们很少谈论这种事 |
[43:20] | I understand why. | 可以理解 |
[43:22] | Even under these circumstances | 话虽如此 |
[43:24] | I’m happy to have you back, Miss Scott. | 我很高兴你复职了 史考特小姐 |
[43:43] | Church, you’ve arrived. Good. | 邱区 你来了 |
[43:45] | Has Adelheid brought the missing dress? | 雅德海把礼服带来了吗 |
[43:46] | She has, madam. She’s upstairs now unpacking it. | 带来了 正在楼上整理 |
[43:49] | And that’s not all… | 不只如此‥ |
[43:51] | Surprise! | 惊喜吧 |
[43:52] | – I thought you couldn’t get away. – I couldn’t. | 你不是说分不开身 是不能 |
[43:54] | But the thought of you all alone at McAllister’s party… | 但我不希望你在 麦卡里斯特的宴会落单 |
[43:59] | And now I’ll have something to wear. | 我现在有东西可穿了 |
[44:03] | I hope you’re pleased to see me. | 高兴看见我吧 |
[44:05] | Very. For several reasons. | 非常高兴 原因太多了 |
[44:07] | That sounds ominous. | 听起来不太妙 |
[44:09] | Larry’s in way over his head with the woman he’s working for. | 赖瑞被他现任雇主迷昏头了 |
[44:12] | Mrs. Blane? | 布连夫人 |
[44:13] | You surprise me. | 太令人惊讶了 |
[44:15] | But I suppose boys will be boys. Won’t it just play itself out? | 年轻男生天性就是如此 过阵子就冷却下来了 |
[44:20] | Maybe. | 或许吧 |
[44:22] | I see. | 这样啊 |
[44:23] | How long will I have my husband here with me? | 我的丈夫这次会陪我多久 |
[44:26] | This has to be a short visit, I’m afraid. | 恐怕无法待太久 |
[44:28] | Things are getting worse in Pittsburgh. | 匹兹堡那边情况恶化 |
[44:29] | And what are you going to do? | 你打算怎么做 |
[44:31] | Clay has been to see the head of the union. | 克雷去找过工会主席 |
[44:32] | A man called Henderson. | 韩德森 |
[44:34] | I want to arrange a meeting with him, a luncheon, at our house. | 我想找他来家里吃个午餐 |
[44:38] | And I need your help. | 这需要你帮忙 |
[44:42] | Will you do that for me? | 你愿意帮我吗 |
[44:43] | I’ll do anything for you. | 我愿意为你做任何事 |
[44:46] | Surely you know that by now. | 这点你是知道的吧 |
[44:58] | I saw you talking to that Miss Weber yesterday. | 我昨天看到你跟韦伯小姐说话 |
[45:00] | And why shouldn’t he? | 那又怎么样呢 |
[45:01] | I like her. | 我喜欢她 |
[45:03] | Did you get anywhere with the clock? | 你闹钟修好了吗 |
[45:06] | I made a list of the tools that I need, and I’ll get ’em, too. | 我列了所需工具 打算去买回来 |
[45:09] | I hope it was broken. | 希望钟是坏了 |
[45:11] | It was. | 是坏了 |
[45:12] | Because it won’t work again once you get started on it. | 你再怎么修理也没有用 |
[45:14] | We don’t know that. | 那可不一定 |
[45:17] | I got some ideas. I know a bit about it. | 我已经弄懂一些皮毛了 |
[45:21] | Bridget, I need that mending first thing in the morning. | 布莉琪 修补的衣物我明早就要 |
[45:26] | What’s this? | 这是怎样 |
[45:28] | I helped Bridget with the sewing. | 我帮布莉琪修补好了 |
[45:30] | I couldn’t do it all. | 我自己做不来 |
[45:32] | Is this some sort of trick? | 你们在搞什么把戏 |
[45:35] | It seems as if Miss Scott has done you a good turn, Miss Armstrong. | 看来史考特小姐帮了你忙 |
[45:38] | Aren’t you going to say thank you? | 不谢谢人家吗 |
[45:42] | – Thank you. – You’re welcome. | 谢谢你 不客气 |
[45:44] | Bridget, come and help me. | 布莉琪 过来帮我 |
[45:52] | I confess, I am surprised. | 老实说 我很惊讶 |
[45:55] | That I did you a favor? | 因为我帮了你 |
[45:57] | No, not exactly. | 倒不是为了这个 |
[46:00] | I’m surprised you were allowed back into this house. | 我很惊讶夫人居然让你回来 |
[46:05] | I have no quarrel with you, Miss Armstrong. | 阿姆斯壮小姐 我不想跟你吵架 |
[46:08] | I mean it. | 是真心话 |
[46:12] | But I promise, you do not want one with me. | 但我奉劝你别找架跟我吵 |
[46:24] | You were right about Mr. McNeil. | 麦克尼尔先生的事你说对了 |
[46:26] | He’s written, asking to meet me. | 他来信说想见我 |
[46:30] | What’s it all about? | 怎么回事 |
[46:34] | Mr. McNeil is my son-in-law. His wife is my daughter. | 麦克尼尔先生是我的女婿 他妻子是我女儿 |
[46:38] | What? | 什么 |
[46:39] | So, you waited on your own child at dinner? | 所以你服侍自己的孩子用餐 |
[46:42] | I’m sorry to have asked that of you. | 我真不该请你帮忙 |
[46:44] | You weren’t to know. | 你又不知情 |
[46:46] | My life… was very different, once. | 我的过去跟现在很不一样 |
[46:50] | Obviously. | 可想而知 |
[46:52] | So, how will you manage things? | 你打算怎么办 |
[46:54] | They can’t entertain if it becomes public knowledge | 万一给人知道父亲是贴身侍者 |
[46:57] | that her father is dressing Mr. Russell. | 他们便无颜社交 |
[46:59] | I imagine that’s why Mr. McNeil wants to meet me. | 所以麦克尼尔先生才要见我 |
[47:06] | Then I suggest you should keep the appointment. | 那么你还是去赴约比较好 |
[47:25] | This is splendid. | 场面真壮观 |
[47:26] | I’m glad you were able to come. | 感谢大驾光临 |
[47:28] | I was desperate to get away from New York. | 我巴不得能离开纽约 |
[47:30] | They’re still talking about your opera party. | 大家仍对你的歌剧晚宴津津乐道 |
[47:34] | I’ve had an invitation to be the chairman of their fundraising. | 我受邀担任募款会主席 |
[47:39] | Have you, indeed? | 这样啊 |
[47:41] | I’m to find takers for the boxes. | 还要负责找包厢主人 |
[47:44] | So, the war is heating up. | 歌剧之战越演越烈 |
[47:47] | This needs some thought. -Why? | -我得小心行事 -何必呢 |
[47:49] | Are you afraid to be seen with the leader of the winning side? | 怕人看见你跟赢家领袖站在一起 |
[47:52] | Don’t be too sure. | 话别说得太早 |
[47:53] | There’s still plenty of fight left in Mrs. Astor. | 阿斯特夫人没那么容易被击倒 |
[47:56] | Then we’re evenly matched, | 那么双方势均力敌 |
[47:58] | and you’ll need to pick a team. | 你得选边站才行 |
[48:00] | Not necessarily. | 倒也不见得 |
[48:02] | If Mrs. Astor wins, then I will have been loyal all along. | 万一阿斯特夫人赢了 便不会怀疑我的忠诚 |
[48:06] | And if I win? | 万一我赢了呢 |
[48:07] | Then I will be the friend to help Mrs. Astor accept defeat. | 那我就是帮她接受失败的益友 |
[48:12] | Clever. But will you help me? | 很聪明 但你会帮我吗 |
[48:14] | In my way. | 用我自己的方式 |
[48:16] | To start with, you’ll meet the Wintertons this evening. | 比方说今晚介绍你认识温特顿夫妇 |
[48:19] | Good. I’m going to tempt her with your plan | 很好 我打算听你的 |
[48:20] | and persuade her to take a box in both houses. | 说服他们在两边各取包厢 |
[48:23] | What will Mrs. Astor say to that? | 阿斯特夫人会作何感想 |
[48:25] | Well, no doubt we’ll find out. | 以后就知道了 |
[48:28] | – Gentlemen. – Mr. McAllister. | -二位男士好 -麦卡里斯特先生好 |
[48:33] | There’s Mrs. Fane and Miss Brook. | 是芬恩夫人和布鲁克小姐 |
[48:36] | Enjoy your evening. | 玩得开心点 |
[48:39] | Here’s my other cousin, | 这是我另一位表亲 |
[48:40] | Mr. Oscar van Rhijn. | 奥斯卡凡瑞恩先生 |
[48:42] | May I introduce you to Miss Maud Beaton? | 这位是茉德彼顿小姐 |
[48:45] | How do you do? | 幸会 |
[48:47] | Your name rings a bell. | 大名很耳熟 |
[48:48] | Do you know my mother? | 你认识家母吗 |
[48:49] | I’ve heard of your mother. | 我听说过令堂 |
[48:51] | Mrs. Drexel spoke about her the other day. | 不久前德瑞索夫人曾提起 |
[48:53] | All good, I hasten to add. | 她说的都是好话 |
[48:54] | I love the Drexels. | 我很欣赏德瑞索家 |
[48:56] | Are you staying with them while you’re in Newport? | 你在纽波特与他们同住 |
[48:58] | No, with some friends who live near Mrs. Fish. | 我住费许夫人附近的朋友家 |
[49:02] | I was at her party last night. | 前几天才去过她的派对 |
[49:03] | I’m sorry I missed it. | 真可惜我没去 |
[49:05] | But I wonder why our paths have never crossed ’til now. | 怪在我们从来没见过 |
[49:08] | Probably because I’ve been living in Europe. | 大概因为我一直住在欧洲 |
[49:10] | In Paris, mostly. | 大多时候是住在巴黎 |
[49:13] | How was that? | -你喜欢巴黎吗 |
[49:14] | Well, Paris is wonderful, apart from the Parisians. | 很喜欢 但巴黎人除外 |
[49:18] | We can agree on that, at least. | 至少我们有共同点了 |
[49:31] | Miss Brook, hello again. | 布鲁克小姐 -又见面了 |
[49:33] | Hello. | -你好 |
[49:35] | Are you free of your unwanted suitor at the tennis match? | 终于甩掉网球赛时 那位追求者了吗 |
[49:39] | Don’t remind me. | 别再提了 |
[49:40] | Will they let you choose for yourself in the future? | 你将来能自己选择伴侣吗 |
[49:42] | I doubt it. | 不太可能 |
[49:44] | You’re not alone in that. | 我俩同病相怜 |
[49:47] | Larry, hello. | 赖瑞 你好 |
[49:50] | Ah, it’s you again. | -又见面了 |
[49:53] | It’s nice to see you. | 您好 |
[49:54] | You remember Miss Brook? | 记得布鲁克小姐 |
[49:55] | Of course. The next-door neighbor. | 记得 她是你的邻居 |
[49:58] | What were you going to say? | 您找我有事呢 |
[49:59] | Only that the Cowans are here and I think they might have a job for you. | 寇温夫妇也来了 说想聘请你 |
[50:03] | Then you must go. | 那你快过去吧 |
[50:07] | Oh, Miss Collins, hello. | 柯林斯小姐 你好 |
[50:08] | Tell me about Miss Beaton. | 跟我说说彼顿小姐 |
[50:10] | It’s complicated. | 该怎么说呢 |
[50:12] | Officially, her father was the late John Beaton | 她名义上的父亲是已故约翰彼顿 |
[50:15] | but I’ve heard it said that her real father is Jay Gould | 据说她亲生父亲是杰伊古尔德 |
[50:19] | and he takes an interest in her. | 他也很关照她 |
[50:22] | I have no idea if it’s true, of course | 我不清楚真相为何 |
[50:24] | but she certainly seems to have a great deal of money | 但她确实很富有 |
[50:26] | at her disposal. | 出手阔绰 |
[50:29] | Which is why you introduced us. | 所以你才介绍我们认识 |
[50:31] | Please don’t make me regret it. | 拜讬别让我后悔 |
[50:33] | She’s a nice woman, whatever the truth about her. | 不管身世为何 她是个好女人 |
[50:36] | And she goes everywhere. | 而且她人面很广 |
[50:38] | What about her mother? | 她母亲呢 |
[50:39] | I’m told she was a Stuyvesant, but she’s dead now. | 据说娘家是史岱文森 但过世了 |
[50:42] | That was why Maud went to France, to get over it. | 所以茉德才到法国疗伤止痛 |
[50:45] | I think she has a sort of paid companion in New York. | 她好像在纽约聘请了陪护 |
[50:48] | It sounds suitable and charming. | 听起来既合适又迷人 |
[50:50] | You must only pursue her if your heart is really in it. | 除非真心 否则不要乱追求人家 |
[50:53] | You know me. I am all heart. | 你也知道 我向来都是真心的 |
[50:57] | – Mr. Montgomery. – I thought I might find you here | -蒙哥马利先生 -我想你应该会来 |
[51:00] | if you hadn’t gone back to New York. | 若还没回纽约的话 |
[51:02] | I’m going home tomorrow. School starts again on Monday. | 我明天回去 礼拜一学校开学 |
[51:05] | Then I want to remind you | 别忘了 回纽约后 |
[51:06] | that I owe you a treat when we’re back. | 我还欠你一顿饭 |
[51:10] | I’ve told you, there’s no need. | 都说了不用那么客气 |
[51:15] | Oh, how beautiful they look, dancing. | 看大家的舞姿真曼妙啊 |
[51:20] | – May I ask you to dance with me? – Well… | -可以请你跳支舞吗 -这个嘛‥ |
[51:23] | Can I claim this dance, Miss Brook? | 布鲁克小姐 跟我跳支舞吧 |
[51:26] | Oh, you’re still in Newport, Mr. Morgan? | 你还在纽波特啊 摩根先生 |
[51:28] | And I’d like to dance with you. | 我想跟你跳支舞 |
[51:31] | Oh, that would be so nice | 太可惜了 |
[51:34] | but I’ve just accepted Mr. Montgomery. | 我才答应了蒙哥马利先生 |
[51:53] | There you are. Mr. and Mrs. Russell | 你们在这里啊 罗素先生夫人 |
[51:57] | may I present Mr. and Mrs. Winterton? | 容我介绍‥温特顿夫妇 |
[52:12] | You all should know each other. | 你们有许多共通点 |
[52:13] | You have so much in common. | 应该认识一下 |
[52:15] | I’m sure. | 当然好 |
[52:16] | But for now, we must continue in Mr. McAllister’s wake. | 我们先随麦卡里斯特先生 去认识其他人了 |
[52:23] | Your former lady’s maid is now your neighbor in Newport? | 你以前的贴身侍女 现在成了纽波特的邻居 |
[52:26] | Welcome to America. | 这就是美国 |
[52:29] | Father, you’re very quiet. | 父亲 您都没说话 |
[52:31] | – What is there to say? – Nothing. | -有什么好说的 -什么也别说 |
[52:33] | Until we’re alone and back at the house. | 等回家关起门来再说 |
[52:35] | And I’ll decide what we say… | 由我决定说什么 |
[52:39] | if we say anything at all. | 或什么都不说 待续 |